Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Featured story of the month for August 2007 - By My Side by Julie  (Read 15284 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

Greetings all! Well it's August already so what better way to bring summer to a close than with a story that so many people seem to enjoy.

This one seems to be a faovirte of a lot of people so I thought we'd discuss this one this month.

Here is the link

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8030

Feel free to post your thoughts, questions and feedback here for Julie and i'm sure she'll be more than willing to repsond!

Congrats and enjoy your month Julie!

:)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Featured story of the month for August 2007 - By My Side by Julie
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 12:30:42 PM »

Here's the survey lol

1) Tell us one thing about your story that no one else knows?

2) How long did it take you to write this entire story?

3) Give us a summary different from the one you have posted on AC, with a few more spoilers to make people tune in.

4) If you could cast this story as a movie who would play the main roles and why?

5) Have you ever thought of giving up on the story and if you did what made you continue to work on it?

6) What was your writing process? (Outline, make it up as you go along, the characters wrote it, I am Tonja and plagerized lol)

7) Who was your favorite character in this story and why?

8 ) You had to know this was coming, who was your least favorite?

9) Are all the boys in this one? If not why did you choose to exclude them?

10) If we like this story...then we'd love what story? (Could be by you or someone else) and obviously tell us why lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Nijntje

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Some love is not really love at all..
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 01:04:15 PM »

Congrats Julie! Haven't read it.. may start to now though!
Not every dream is supposed to come true
Some words are best unsaid
Some love is not really love at all
I keep everything I shared with you
And that's enough.. there's us..

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 03:35:46 PM »

Oh wow!!  Thanks, Mare!  I honestly did not expect to be picked for this (at least not anytime soon) because I haven't been very good at posting during other people's months.  I'm out of the habit since FFF died! LOL  I'm still on Kelly's story from June LOL.  So I apologize for that, but if anyone does tackle BMS this month, you rock, and I appreciate it! ;D
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 04:46:57 PM »

1) Tell us one thing about your story that no one else knows?

I was gonna say "the ending," LOL, but that's not exactly telling you something, is it?  Um... how about this:  The outline for it, which I have saved as a Word doc, is currently 22 pages long.  It's probably been even longer than that, but I've taken some stuff out that isn't relevant anymore.

2) How long did it take you to write this entire story?

I've been writing it since March 2004, and it's still going.  It's getting close to being done, though, so I'll probably finish it this year.

3) Give us a summary different from the one you have posted on AC, with a few more spoilers to make people tune in.

Critical illness tends to complicate relationships, but in Nick and Claire's case, it brought them together.  Now, in the aftermath, their growing relationship must face the challenges of everday life and the reality of their two very different lifestyles.  They say relationships based on intense experiences never work, but when theirs falls apart, it just may take a few more intense experiences to bring them back together.

(Okay, now here's my author's note:  It sounds like a romance, and it IS a romance, but there's really more to it than that.  It's not all fluff and petty couple issues.  There's a lot of drama too - hopefully the realistic type, not just melodrama for the sake of it.  So I hope no one will avoid it just because it's a romance, especially if you liked Broken.  If you know me, you know that I get bored by romance without some major drama and angst included, so expect drama and angst too LOL.)

4) If you could cast this story as a movie who would play the main roles and why?

For Nick, I have NO idea.  The best choice would be him LOL, and if not him, maybe someone like Ryan Phillippe, cause he's a good actor and does anger/angst well LOL (and he's hot!), but he might be too old.  I don't know of any younger actors that would fit the part, so I'm gonna pass on that one LOL.

For Claire, Bryce Dallas Howard because she's got the look, Scarlett Johansson because she's got the casual, cool vibe, or Rachel McAdams because she's a fantastic actress and could fit her personality too.

For Jamie, Shane West because he can play a jerk well and does a great smirk.  Joaquin Phoenix would be my second choice because he's such a great actor, and he sort of has the look.

For Laureen, I'm kinda blanking again... I dunno.  Probably an unknown that I'd discover through auditions. :)

For the rest of the Boys, I'm just gonna cheat and say I would want them to play themselves. ;)   It's seriously hard to think of actors who would do them justice!  It's too weird to imagine them portrayed by anyone else LOL.

5) Have you ever thought of giving up on the story and if you did what made you continue to work on it?

Nope, never.  It's my baby.  Only before I actually started did I think I might never get through it because I have a horrible track record with sequels LOL, but here I am, almost done with it!  The end is in sight.  It's been pretty easy to write, for the most part.

6) What was your writing process? (Outline, make it up as you go along, the characters wrote it, I am Tonja and plagerized lol)

LMAO I always enjoy the end of this question. :D  I've used an outline, for the most part.  I planned out the major events of the story before I even started it, and I have stuck with all of those.  The minor stuff in between, I have kinda made up and changed along the way.  I've added subplots and characters I didn't plan originally, and some characters have become more important or less important than I intended, so in that way, the characters and the story kinda wrote itself, but there was still a lot of planning that went into the overal story arc.

7) Who was your favorite character in this story and why?

Aw, it's gotta be Nick; I love Nick anyway, and I like the character he has developed into throughout Broken and this story.  He's my favorite to write about.

8 ) You had to know this was coming, who was your least favorite?

I'm gonna group the whole Carter Clan into one and say them.  Nick's family.  I write about them as little as possible and much less than in Broken even because I can't stand writing about them LOL.  It's too hard not to exaggerate them, and yet I find them so much more fun to write about when they're crazy and dysfunctional than when they're "normal," so I've just started avoiding them altogether LOL.

9) Are all the boys in this one? If not why did you choose to exclude them?

Yep.  They're not in it as much as they were in Broken, but they're there.  The reason they're not in it as much is because they're not really a part of the main storyline.  They're just a subplot.  Usually their parts are just there for filler and don't move the story along much, so to force out Bsb parts that have no real point just seemed like a waste of time and pages for me, so I didn't bother.  The story's long enough as it is LOL.  But there are some good Bsb parts, so never fear. :)

10) If we like this story...then we'd love what story? (Could be by you or someone else) and obviously tell us why lol

"Cover Me With Dreams" by Heidi - http://www.covermewithdreams.com/cmwd.html
I read this story for the first time when I was nearing the end of Broken, and it was a HUGE inspiration to me when writing BMS.  I had already decided to write a sequel, but I drew a lot of inspiration from CMWD when it came to the romance/relationship aspect of the story, since that is not something I'd really written as the main focus of a story before (not WELL, anyway LOL).  It's a romance/drama, like BMS, and tells the story of Bsb coming together, as well as how the main couple in it came together.  It's more Backstreet-oriented than BMS and a far better story than I could ever hope to write, in my opinion.  Definitely read it!

One other thing I wanna say... in case you don't know, "By My Side" is actually a sequel to my story "Broken."  So if you haven't read Broken, I would HIGHLY recommend reading that before you tackle this one.  Otherwise you'll be missing out on some key plot points and character development.  If it's okay with Mare, I have no problem with anyone reading Broken instead of BMS this month and posting feedback on that here.  The two stories go together, so we can kinda discuss both - BMS for the people who have already read it or have read Broken and are going to read it, and Broken for those who haven't read that and want something new to read.

Here's the link to Broken: http://accidentalchaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=5354
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 05:01:02 PM »

^ OMG it is so NOT okay... you megalomaniac!!

lmao just kidding, of course it makes sense to also read Broken especially if you haven't read that one yet. I don't think anyone falls into that category though, do they?

I'll be back as Oprah and of course you'd get your own month. I already have this mapped out until March lmao I look for people who post on this forum more so than post in the story of the month section although it is nice if people do give each other shout outs lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 05:23:15 PM »

Oh, well thanks. :)  I really am sorry for not participating in this particular section more.  Some of the stories I have tried and just didn't really get into, and others I have totally slacked on, and I apologize for that.  The time just gets away from me.

And yeah, there are a lot of people who haven't read Broken (at least I don't think they have), and that is totally fine.  If they do want to read it, this month is a good opportunity :D, but I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, so it's cool.
~Julie

Nijntje

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Some love is not really love at all..
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 05:28:32 PM »

lmao just kidding, of course it makes sense to also read Broken especially if you haven't read that one yet. I don't think anyone falls into that category though, do they?

*quietly waves and whispers* I do..
Not every dream is supposed to come true
Some words are best unsaid
Some love is not really love at all
I keep everything I shared with you
And that's enough.. there's us..

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 05:36:31 PM »

Oh, well thanks. :)  I really am sorry for not participating in this particular section more.  Some of the stories I have tried and just didn't really get into, and others I have totally slacked on, and I apologize for that.  The time just gets away from me.

And yeah, there are a lot of people who haven't read Broken (at least I don't think they have), and that is totally fine.  If they do want to read it, this month is a good opportunity :D, but I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, so it's cool.

no need to apologize. I admit I haven't read any of them except for Mersey's.  I have attempted though lol I just lost my umph for reading unless they fit into the what Mare will read criteria lol I still love everyone though *group squishy hugs*

I do make a good Oprah though :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 05:47:34 PM »

no need to apologize. I admit I haven't read any of them except for Mersey's.  I have attempted though lol I just lost my umph for reading unless they fit into the what Mare will read criteria lol I still love everyone though *group squishy hugs*

I do make a good Oprah though :)

Yes you do. :D   Well, I'm glad I'm not alone.  Honestly, Mersey's is one I didn't even look into because it's a crossover with a show I knew nothing about.  I'm not a big fan of crossovers, but I would at least have given it a try if it was of two fandoms I knew something about it.  Sorry, Mers!  I'm sure it's an absolutely great story if you're a fan of both Bsb and Supernatural. :)
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 05:51:00 PM »

Yes you do. :D   Well, I'm glad I'm not alone.  Honestly, Mersey's is one I didn't even look into because it's a crossover with a show I knew nothing about.  I'm not a big fan of crossovers, but I would at least have given it a try if it was of two fandoms I knew something about it.  Sorry, Mers!  I'm sure it's an absolutely great story if you're a fan of both Bsb and Supernatural. :)

aww I know what you mean. I'm not a fan of crossover fics and it's hard to get into one if you have neevr watched the show lol

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 08:39:24 PM »

Yay Julie!!!! I'm so excited for you! I loved Broken, but honestly... how the hell am I supposed to read this story in one month!?!?!?!?! lol... I guess just starting it will have to be good enough. But it's high time I did that, so I'll have to get started. 
 ;D
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 09:09:22 PM »

Thanks Kelly! ;D

That's another thing - I know it's really long, so don't feel like you have to read it all in a month.  It's not finished anyway, so it's not like we can have a discussion about the WHOLE story from beginning to end anyway.  I would love it if you gave it a try, read what you want during this month, and if you like it, you can always read the rest later. :)
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 01:31:33 AM »

Finally! We have a story I actually am caught up on before it's story of the month. I'm still working on Pbox lol.

By My Side is addicting, very very addicting. Honestly I was a bit skeptical at first, unsure if there was more story to tell. Trust me, there is. It goes very much into Claire and Nick, but perhaps not the way you'd think if you've only read Broken. It's a very good read. Long lol, but good.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 02:36:00 AM »

Thanks Rose! ;D  Hehe, you'll have any easy time this month!

I was skeptical at first too!  If you'll remember, I didn't even link it on my site for months, just through the Yahoo Group, because I was afraid I would get partway into it and get stuck and quit!  LOL
~Julie

Pages: [1] 2 3 4