Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Featured story of the month for August 2007 - By My Side by Julie  (Read 15309 times)

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
Re: Featured story of the month for August 2007 - By My Side by Julie
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2007, 12:07:27 PM »

And yes, I did the same thing with Swollen as well lmao but luckily she went away and you're right because had Claire's character not been introduced slowly and just kind of overhwlmed Nick I probably would have stopped reading.

That's funny cuz when I was reading Swollen Issues (after I had read Broken by the way) they introduced Julie and I was like OMG its going to be another Claire and even though I LOVE Claire I wasn't sure if I wanted to read that SAME scenario different author. But yea luckily her character sort of fizzled out.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2007, 04:11:53 PM »

That's funny cuz when I was reading Swollen Issues (after I had read Broken by the way) they introduced Julie and I was like OMG its going to be another Claire and even though I LOVE Claire I wasn't sure if I wanted to read that SAME scenario different author. But yea luckily her character sort of fizzled out.

Aww yep, Julie (the character) existed first, so if anything, I copied them, definitely not vice versa LOL.  Same basic premise, just taken in different directions, which is what I wanted.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2007, 09:27:13 PM »

Another Oprah question for you Jules :)

Get into your characters heads and let's pretend they had to put a time capsule together to open in ten years. Pick only one thing for each of your characters to put in there and tell us why.  (From BMS)

Wow this might be a good thing for the Alias board lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2007, 10:46:46 PM »

Another Oprah question for you Jules :)

Get into your characters heads and let's pretend they had to put a time capsule together to open in ten years. Pick only one thing for each of your characters to put in there and tell us why.  (From BMS)

Wow... good question, but hard!  LOL

Nick - A copy of his latest solo album because it represents where he was in his life then.

Claire - A baby book with her babies' footprints, locks of hair, pictures, hospital bracelets, and so on because in ten years, they'll be ten years old, and she'll want to look back on those memories and show them how little they were.

Jamie - A picture of himself and Claire with their daughters (even though I'm not sure one exists... ouch LOL) as a memory of the family he once had.

Laureen - A picture of herself and Nick from the night they went to the 80s club because it represents one of the good times she had with him while they were dating.

Those are really the main four, so that's all I'm doing LOL.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2007, 10:59:01 PM »

Good answers lol I thought this would take you longer than it did.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2007, 11:09:43 PM »

Haha, me too!
~Julie

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2007, 02:43:22 PM »

Ah, it's always good to see stuff I've already read as the featured story! Kudos to Julie because I absolutely adore BMS ... I get all hyped up when there's an update, and I have never been let down! So, to put in my two cents I just need to say well done, keep up the good work, and all that jazz! :)

I enjoyed your survey answers too!
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2007, 08:20:33 PM »

Ah, it's always good to see stuff I've already read as the featured story! Kudos to Julie because I absolutely adore BMS ... I get all hyped up when there's an update, and I have never been let down! So, to put in my two cents I just need to say well done, keep up the good work, and all that jazz! :)

I enjoyed your survey answers too!

Thanks Julilly! ;D
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2007, 05:47:20 PM »

WIth all the excitement going on with BSB I am forgetting to be a good Oprah, i'm sorry about that Julie lol

Here's another question for both stories

What has been your favorite chapter/scene to write in each story so far? And what has been the most challenging part of the stories for you?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2007, 12:55:25 AM »

WIth all the excitement going on with BSB I am forgetting to be a good Oprah, i'm sorry about that Julie lol

Here's another question for both stories

What has been your favorite chapter/scene to write in each story so far? And what has been the most challenging part of the stories for you?

Nooo problem, I've been the same way!  I had planned on updating BMS and writing more yesterday, and that didn't happen for the same reason LOL.

Hm, favorite scene or chapter... for Broken, I'm gonna cheat a little and say Chapters 117-118.  118 is the "King Kong" chapter... which I have always really liked; it was very satisfying to write LOL.  But 117 leads into it, and I almost like that chapter better.

Most challenging part for Broken, definitely 106 or one of those chapters after it... the choppage stuff.  I think 112 was where I hit a wall and started going "Okay, why the hell did I do that?" and took some prodding to get going again LOL.  I remember that chapter being challenging to get going on, but once I did, it was okay.  106 was a lot of me staring at the computer screen and writing like two sentences every day for a few days, until I finally got going on it... it ended up taking me like a week to write, which was a long time then.

For BMS, it's hard to pick a favorite chapter because there are so many chapters and a few that I really like, and a few that I'm probably forgetting I like LOL.  But I think my favorite chapter recently has been 182.  It just felt like a classic "Nick and Claire" chapter, not necessarily in a couple-y way ('cause they're not a couple), but it fit every aspect of the kind of friendship/relationship they have with each other.

Actually, I found another one I almost forgot about - Chapter 35.  I love that one too.

Biggest challenge... from the emotional standpoint, I think 148 because it deals with an issue that I feel pretty strongly about; there were times when I was even reduced to tears just trying to research for it, so I knew writing it was going to be challenging in that respect.  Just from the writing standpoint, I remember I got so stuck on Chapter 41 because it was the first time I brought Nick's family back into it since Broken, and becuase they HADN'T been in the story in so long, I found it really hard to kind of explain their total absence in Nick's life LOL.  It was just a mess.

~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2007, 09:31:02 PM »

LOL I am blaming poor BSB for all of my slacking lately. Well that and all the pre school meeting happening now which i'm sure you're well aware of!

Great answers. I had a feeling you were going to mention the choppage scene. I think I remember the King Kong scene. Was that a Nick and Claire date? Their first real date? I do remember it though.

If you had to rewrite Broken and give Nick another form of cancer what would it be and how different do you think the inital outcome of the story would have been?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2007, 10:58:42 PM »

LOL I am blaming poor BSB for all of my slacking lately. Well that and all the pre school meeting happening now which i'm sure you're well aware of!

Great answers. I had a feeling you were going to mention the choppage scene. I think I remember the King Kong scene. Was that a Nick and Claire date? Their first real date? I do remember it though.

If you had to rewrite Broken and give Nick another form of cancer what would it be and how different do you think the inital outcome of the story would have been?

LOL yep, I totally know what you mean!  I haven't been around much at all, and when I am, I'm catching up on all this exciting Bsb stuff!

Yep, the King Kong part was their first unofficial "date" with their first kiss. ;) 

As for your other question... you know, that is tough to answer.  After kind of weighing my options, I went with bone cancer because it gave me the most options of where I could go with it... which eventually led me to the amputation stuff.  If I hadn't written that, the story would have been SO much different, and I don't think I would have written a sequel.  I didn't realize it at the time, but that had such an impact on not only the rest of Broken, but BMS too; it gave me a lot to write about.  I think if I had gone with a different kind of cancer, the first two parts of Broken would have been about the same, but from then on, who knows.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2007, 03:34:44 PM »

isn't it funny how a minor change in detail can really turn an entire story around. Not that cancer is a 'minor detail' lol but you know what I mean.

Another question for you, for both stories I would imagine

but how much did lyrics factor into your stories? I know you used some lyrics for Broken.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2007, 11:27:07 PM »

Lyrics... I do incorporate lyrics into both stories, but I wouldn't say they're a huge factor.  They're just something to help set the tone and add that extra burst of emotion.  I think if you actually know the song or can listen to it and it fits the part, it can add a lot, just like how music adds a lot to a scene in a TV show or movie.

I went on a big lyrics kick in Broken, and I've kind of gotten away from that in BMS cause I didn't want to be on lyrics overload, but I do still use them when they really fit and I really like the song.  And once in awhile, I do have parts that are actually built around a song, rather than the song magically fitting the part (although that happens too).  Music inspires me, so I like to include it when it works for the story.  Even if the readers don't pay much attention to it (I know I usually don't when I read a story with lyrics in it... I skim right on past them and keep reading the story LOL), it means something to me, and it's my story, so hey... LOL
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2007, 11:01:09 AM »

^ lmao i'm the same way. I have never really used lyrics in my stories but I do tend to not read the lyrics when they are posted in a story.

You mentioned another story you were working on that ties in with BMS and Broken. Why don't you explain to everyone what that's all about. Also if you could borrow a character from any other story to fit into BMS as a special guest, who would you choose and why?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4