Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Chapter summaries  (Read 6315 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Chapter summaries
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2007, 08:26:08 PM »

^ I can understand that as well. I guess I meant less NC - 17 stories and more just a story that happens to have a few sex scenes in them. Where it really isn't the main point but might happen in a chapter or two. Also for disturbing scenes like rape etc..

I guess most people do read NC - 17 for the sex scenes.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 08:28:27 PM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Tri

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2007, 08:42:08 PM »

Yeah, you know sometimes I feel like my story's gotta be pretty disappointing so far since there isn't an overwhelming amount of sex.  I make the ones that are going to have a lot of sex and offensive language rated NC-17 just so I don't have to put individual warnings on each chapter.  I hope that isn't misleading...

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2007, 09:17:37 PM »

Ya know, if people are reading stories JUST for the sex, that's too bad for them LOL.  That's what a visual is for.  If you're reading a novel, you better be into it for the plot, not just the sex, and it's not always realistic to the plot for the characters to have sex in every chapter LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2007, 10:04:50 PM »

LOL I personally don't see much of a difference between visuals and NC-17. I kind of plop them into the same category but i'm probably wrong. Maybe NC-17 have plots but then visuals don't? I can honestly say i've never read either one because in my mind all I think about is sex when i see either one of those genres.

That's a good question people who write both of those, what's the difference between the two?

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

bananaaddict

• Captain of Commotion
    • The Original Nick Chicks
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2007, 10:07:04 PM »

Ya know, if people are reading stories JUST for the sex, that's too bad for them LOL.  That's what a visual is for.  If you're reading a novel, you better be into it for the plot, not just the sex, and it's not always realistic to the plot for the characters to have sex in every chapter LOL.
What?  You mean most normal people don't have sex all the time?  LOL  Stories like that drive me crazy.  

I like chapter summaries as long as they don't give away too much.  I've seen some that give all the highlights and totally ruin the chapter, but most are pretty good.  I like the way Mel and Tri do their chapter summaries.  (I'm not downing anyone else, but right now those are the two I'm mainly reading so I don't know about others' summaries.)

Tri

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2007, 10:08:54 PM »

LOL I personally don't see much of a difference between visuals and NC-17. I kind of plop them into the same category but i'm probably wrong. Maybe NC-17 have plots but then visuals don't? I can honestly say i've never read either one because in my mind all I think about is sex when i see either one of those genres.

That's a good question people who write both of those, what's the difference between the two?
NC-17 stories for me are longer stories that happen to contain adult content.  I know that when I was younger, I didn't like reading stories with a lot of raunchy sex, so I just stayed away from the NC-17 ones.  Now that I write stories with sex in them, I attach that rating because I think it's appropriate.

On the other hand, visuals are typically short stories that talk about one encounter of a sexual nature.  At least that's what I've always thought. 

Maybe I should rate my story R for adult content so that more people will read it and not think it's just smut.  What do you think?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2007, 10:16:29 PM »

NC-17 stories for me are longer stories that happen to contain adult content.  I know that when I was younger, I didn't like reading stories with a lot of raunchy sex, so I just stayed away from the NC-17 ones.  Now that I write stories with sex in them, I attach that rating because I think it's appropriate.

On the other hand, visuals are typically short stories that talk about one encounter of a sexual nature.  At least that's what I've always thought. 

Maybe I should rate my story R for adult content so that more people will read it and not think it's just smut.  What do you think?

AH okay so visuals are like a one shot deal where NC-17 stories are longer with sometimes visual type chapters.

Now that makes sense.

as far as changing your ratings, that's up to you. I'm not sure if everyone views NC-17 as smutty lol i'm just naive when it comes to reading this stuff. I would say if your story is less about the sex and more about the plot, maybe it would be a good idea to change it. You can try to see if it makes a difference?

Tri

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2007, 10:18:54 PM »

AH okay so visuals are like a one shot deal where NC-17 stories are longer with sometimes visual type chapters.

Now that makes sense.

as far as changing your ratings, that's up to you. I'm not sure if everyone views NC-17 as smutty lol i'm just naive when it comes to reading this stuff. I would say if your story is less about the sex and more about the plot, maybe it would be a good idea to change it. You can try to see if it makes a difference?
Honestly, I just didn't want to get in trouble on the site for having my story available to unregistered readers that may be too young.  Originally, I would've rated it R.  I'm going to change it right now.  I'm curious to see if I'll get more readers that think the same way you do and stay away from the NC-17 stories.  lol.  I'm glad you told me that or I never would've known!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2007, 10:21:01 PM »

LOL no problem, I hope it works out for you.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2007, 12:08:20 AM »

That's interesting;

That's how I think of NC-17 stories too.  I just view them as one step up from R, whether it be because of sex or just extreme violence and other "adult" situations.

Truth be told, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to ratings; I just read whatever sounds good.  I never know for sure how to rate my own stories either.  BMS I gave an R because it does have a couple of sex scenes that are described in some detail, and it has cussing and stuff too.  My other stories are more PG-13.

I think unless your story has a TON of graphic, graphic sex scenes, you're fine with an R rating.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Tri

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2007, 12:14:57 AM »

That's interesting;
That's how I think of NC-17 stories too.  I just view them as one step up from R, whether it be because of sex or just extreme violence and other "adult" situations.

Truth be told, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to ratings; I just read whatever sounds good.  I never know for sure how to rate my own stories either.  BMS I gave an R because it does have a couple of sex scenes that are described in some detail, and it has cussing and stuff too.  My other stories are more PG-13.

I think unless your story has a TON of graphic, graphic sex scenes, you're fine with an R rating.
Well I changed it to R.  If I get an overwhelming response to my new chapters now that it has a "tamer" rating, I'll know why.  lol.

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2007, 12:48:51 PM »

Can't believe I didn't comment in here since I do use chapter summaries pretty religiously at least with UMS. I haven't integrated it to my other stories yet and I'm not sure if I will. I think it works really well with UMS just cuz its such a complicated and twisted plot that like Tri does it even helps me as a writer to remind me what happene in each chapter when I need to refer back to something. Usually I just use a sentence or two at most just vaguely summarizing what happens in the chapter. So for example, my summary for lets say Chapter 26 says : "Alyssa fills Izzy on what's been going on between her and Nick." Very simple and to the point, but you still want to read because you have no idea how Izzy is going to react. I try to write just enough to pique the readers interest.

As far as putting in individual chapter warnings, like for sex scenes, I don't bother. My story is Rated R and it does say there may be graphc sexual content on the front page. Sometimes you can tell by the summary that there might be a sex scene like in Ch 22 the summary is "Nick and Alyssa finally give in to their feelings for each other." and Ch 23 says "Nothing is as simple the next morning." So, yea obviously if you have a brain you can probably connect the dots, but as a reader I don't like knowing there's sexual content in a chapter before I begin reading cuz it ruins the surprise for me. Plus, you get those readers who just want the characters to finally "do it" so they are prolly going to skip right to the sex parts.

As far as actual story summaries go, I think two to three sentences is more than sufficient. And I also hate when writers go OMG I suck at summaries! I think thats pretty unprofessional and its going to make me doubt your abilities as a writer. If you don't even have the confidence in yourself to write a simple summary then how am I as a reader, going to appreciate your work?

Lastly about the NC-17/visual debate... I've read some extremely well written NC-17 stories that were not at ALL smutty. I do tend to think a lot of writers over rate their work cuz I mean I see NC-17 rated stories that only have mild lanuguage in them or like ONE sexually explicit scene. I do think there is a major difference in the two, but thats why I try to shy away from the NC-17 rating. I'd rather keep my stuff at R so more readers will be inhibited to read it.

Pages: 1 [2]