Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Poll

Do you think "in limbo"/"between life and death" scenes are cheesy?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Those "in limbo" scenes...  (Read 1913 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Those "in limbo" scenes...
« on: August 09, 2007, 11:50:32 PM »

Question:  As a reader, what do you think of those scenes where a character is "in limbo," sort of hanging out between life and death?  Sometimes they're in a dark tunnel, and they see a bright light at one end, where it's all happy and peaceful, and they have to make a choice whether to go to the light or go back to the pain of where they came from.  Other times they're in other sort of surreal, dreamlike situations... or out-of-body experiences...  You've probably read/seen all the cliches.

What do you think of scenes like that?  Cheesy or no?

I only put two choices because I knwo a lot of people (me included) would say "It depends," and it does, but go with your gut instinct.  Are the majority of them too cheesy to you, or do you like those kinds of scenes?  I've always wondered LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Those "in limbo" scenes...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 11:55:02 PM »

yay another poll. I was waiting to go to bed just so I could see what poll you were posting. lol

*ahem* since I have an entire story devoted to that state, i'd say it rocks? lmao

in all seriousness, I think they are fine as long as it's well written and incredibly creative to the point that there are no little angels with harps hanging in the tunnel by the white light.

This cliche is really overused though, especially on TV. *Has horrible flashbacks of Meredith on Greys* lmao

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 12:03:21 AM »

I agree.  They can be cheesy, if they're full of all the cliches in the book (clouds and angels and harps and all of that LMAO), but I've read some really cool ones.  I like the idea; I think it's cool.  And with as many real life accounts of "out of body" experiences and people seeing a "white light" when they're on the brink of death, I think there could be some realism to them.  Nobody knows, unless they've experienced something like that themselves, but in a piece of fiction, anything can happen, and I like the mysterious, supernatural element of scenes like that.
~Julie

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 12:55:22 PM »

I said yes although they COULD be good if they're written right I just find that majority of the time it comes across as cliched. But it could just be because i know personally in what I write near death experiences aren't really all that common.

Nijntje

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Some love is not really love at all..
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 01:20:45 PM »

I voted no, because I had to.. I wrote one in PF rofl..
But on a serious note. I think they can be really good if they are written well and with a hint of originality as well.
Not every dream is supposed to come true
Some words are best unsaid
Some love is not really love at all
I keep everything I shared with you
And that's enough.. there's us..

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 06:57:17 PM »

I said "no" because .. well it really depends and I've seen more badly written then well written so ... *nods*
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 10:02:58 PM »

you know, I don't think I've actually ever read a story with one of those scenes in it. But it sounds like it could be pretty cheesy. I guess it would all depend on how its written.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mers

• Captain of Commotion
  • the other M
    • Unveiled Thoughts
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 03:22:53 AM »

lmao julie...as i read your post i couldnt stop grinning cause *points at self* is totally guilty of such scene, therefore, i have to say it rocks? lol...besides, if JK can pull it off in DH, it cant be that cheesy...right? lol

but yeah, it has to depend on how it's been written. there, i used the D word! lol
What succor, what consolation is there in truth, compared to a story? What good is truth, at midnight, in the dark, when the wind is roaring like a bear in the chimney? What you need are the plump comforts of a story. Th soothing, rocking safety of a lie - Vida Winter

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 08:21:44 PM »

^ Totally!!  If JK Rowling does it, it must be okay! :D
~Julie