Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: new idea for reviewing  (Read 26987 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
new idea for reviewing
« on: August 19, 2007, 04:00:43 PM »

Just trying to get a consensus on if you guys think this would work.

How about having another board just for people who want constructive criticism. They can leave the name of their story with a link and then whoever has time to read can leave that story some honest, feedback.

Once you commit to reading the story you should see it all the way through and it would be nice to get two people on each of the stories. If however you aren't enjoying it and feel the need to stop, explain why. Just don't leave the author hanging. This is about honesty.

We would make a separate thread for each story so this way everone can see the feedback. The author will be aware of this as well and has to be prepared for whatever the reviewers come up with. Good or bad. Sometimes people think they can take criticism until they get it lol

Am I making sense? It's basically like what we talked about in the other thread but less work I believe and not as much of a commitment.

I think we should go even so far as to say why we haven't read it as of yet or why we would pass up on it etc...

For instance, "I would read your story but your summary is so vague and there are so many grammatical errors that I wasn't enticed enough to go on," or something as simple as, "it's just not something I would want to read based on the first chapter."

So feedback about this before I start a new miniboard would be appreciated.  :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: new idea for reviewing
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 04:03:21 PM »

I like it!

Would the people have to be like "Yo, I'm reading your story!" so that the author and others know there are people on top of it or would you just go and read and come back?

There should be some sort of disclaimer too, or something where the author is forbidden from telling reviewers they are wrong or starting fights lol
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 04:09:46 PM by julilly »
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 04:07:17 PM »

^ yes I agree about the disclaimer! I think we should put up a detailed disclaimer saying you asked for it, you're getting it so stop whining of you don't agree lol but nicer of course hehe

And yes, I think once someone starts reading the story they should pop into the thread and claim it. If the author wants to ask for a specific person then that person can say either yay or nay?

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 04:11:46 PM »

Nicer? Nah! :)

Well if they're looking for a person in particular to read it, they can always say that in their little introduction and if two other people still want to read it then by all means, three reviews it is. That way no one gets offended when they get told they aren't needed.

I'm on the look out for hurt feelings lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 04:24:43 PM »

LOL me too!

It'll just make our job more entertaining. ;)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 04:46:14 PM »

and yup about the requesting a reviewer thing as well. That doesn't mean that other people shouldn't read it. 

We need a clever name for this board lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 08:31:40 PM »

That sounds like a great idea, Mare.  Easier than the review thing cause I'm totally not up for that right now, now that school is starting LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 08:34:09 PM »

I would do this too. Less of a time commitment, and still something I can pull off... I think.....
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 09:05:21 PM »

Excellent. I think this is a better low maintenance idea.

I'll probably start a new board tonight or tomorrow.

:) how are things going Julie? I sense that beginning of the new school year stress coming off you lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 09:36:52 PM »

Hehe, it's going okay. :)  I'm actually not freaking out as much as I thought I would be... but still nervous.  Tomorrow is family orientation, and that's freaking me out more than the first day of school LOL.  The parents are way more intimidating than the kids.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 09:53:48 PM »

^ yes they are but don't be afriad of them. They can smell fear lol

Your classroom looks great and i'm sure you'll win them over instantly :D

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 09:28:06 PM »

Thanks! :D

I think my family orientation sessions tonight went well... I'm sure some parents are skeptical because I'm young, but I had some nice conversations with some of them, so that's good.
~Julie

LenniluvsBrian

• General Pandemonium
  • You gave me a smile that I will never forget.....
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 09:02:52 PM »

This board sounds cool! I'm interested - lol. And yes, I'm still here.  :P

~Lenni~
Concert Tickets: $270
3 BSB T-Shirts: $105
BSB Sweater: $85
Poster & Book: $30
Having Brian grab me & pull me close during sound check: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Train Ticket: $14.95
Bus Fare: $3.50
Marilyn Denis Show Ticket: Free
Nick Carter singing to me on live television: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

nicksz-wiifey

• Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 05:21:24 PM »

I thik this is a great idea.
Specially for beginning authors (like myself)
To see what they've done wrong and stuff

Anyway great idea !
Shoot for the moon,
even if you miss it ,
you'll land among the stars.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 05:37:03 PM »

Pages: [1] 2