Fic Talk > General Discussion

Favorite excerpt(s) you've written?

(1/5) > >>

Laura Mae:
Okay, guys, here's a chance to toot your own horn:

I know some of you are familiar with each other's stories, but in case some aren't, pick one or two of your favorite stories you've written ('cause I know sometimes it's hard to choose just one) and post a short excerpt from each that you are particularly proud of and tell us why.

My first favorite excerpt would have to be the opening of Sexcapades! - a coming-of-age comedy where Nick finds the tables turned on him. Though I've written this part, I co-author this story with my lovely friend, Mel, who hasn't joined the boards yet. *glares*

(warning: excerpt contains strong language)

--- Quote ---I woke up this morning. Well, more like Kevin banged the holy hell out of the door till I managed to drag my ass out of bed.

Who’s Kevin, you ask?

Actually, I’m not quite sure. Known the guy for thirteen years now, but his existence still baffles me. I suppose he’s like a big brother to me, but damn, maybe he’s got that role down too well. You’ve seen the Charlie Brown cartoons, right? Whenever it’s, “We need to talk,” time, I always get this picture of me standing in front of the teacher’s desk while everything goes completely over my head. “Wah wah wah wah wah.”

Almost cracks me up just thinking about it, but I don’t ever dare do that again. The last time I did, my ear hurt like a b--- for a week. Kevin has this annoying habit of pulling your ear when he thinks you’re not paying attention to him. “Show wah wah respect wah wah wah wah foot up where the sun don’t shine wah wah wah, Carter.”

(That’s me. Carter. Nick Carter. Heh, heh. I’ve always wanted to say that. Dammit, where’s my martini?)

Anyway, just know that if you see a tall guy with f---ing caterpillars for eyebrows that walks with a twig up his ass, there’s a 99% chance it’s Kevin. The other one percent: Groucho Marx. Only without the twig.

Where was I again?

Oh, right. Waking up.
--- End quote ---

I'm not quite sure why it's my favorite... perhaps it's because I was just starting to dive into the whole comedy thing and wasn't certain if I'd be any good at it or not... but fortunately, my Nick muse served me well. ^^ Not to mention it's always fun to take a shot at Kevin's eyebrows. XD

For more of a dramatic/angsty turn, my other favorite excerpt would be from Something Beautiful (a solo project) - a story about Nick going to hell and back for a girl torn between grieving over her past and hoping for the future.

(warning: some more strong language below)

--- Quote ---F---, Alexi. He closed his eyes, unable to sit up any longer as his body gave way to the bed sheets. Mumbling a few more expletives, a watery discharge coated his fingertips as he rubbed his eyes. F---ing hell. This has gone too far. He groaned, splaying his fingers over his face. And to think I might be the only one that can help her.

Moments passed without a single word from either end. Alexi was the first to speak again, her tone weak. “Nick?”

“I’m still here,” he managed to croak out.

“Are you mad?”

He strained a sigh, swallowed, then sighed once more. As tension inflicted his muscles, he pressed his lips together, knowing he’d have to choose his words carefully. “Why didn’t you call me earlier?” he asked, his knuckles whitening as they curled into a fist. “Before you did it?”

She stammered, “I knew it. You… you are mad at me.”

His nostrils flared. You bet your ass, I’m mad! You’re not just doing this to yourself anymore. You’re doing a nice little number on me, too. But as much as he wanted to give her a piece of his mind, he bit his tongue. One wrong move, and he feared he would instigate an entirely new slew of problems. He had to treat her like a ticking bomb with only seconds to spare. “I’m not mad at you; I’m just… concerned.” His jaw grew taut as he kept his tone under control. “Why do you feel like you have to resort to something like this?”

“I don’t know,” she moaned. “I just can’t help it.”

No way in hell would he settle for that kind of answer. Not this time. “But there’s gotta be something that triggers it. You don’t do it for no reason, do you?”

“No…”

“So why do you do it? And don’t give me any shit about it being a stress reliever. You can’t expect me to believe that you actually feel any better afterwards.”

Her hesitant retort was void of any life. “I’d rather feel physical pain than emotional pain.”

“Wait.” His forehead creased as he attempted to piece everything together. “You do this because… you think it helps you forget what’s really going on?”

“I guess you could say that… though it only ends up doing the exact opposite. I try to forget, but it won’t let me.” She sniffed, adding, “But that’s not the only reason.”

“There’s more?”

“I’m afraid there’s more than you’ll ever know, Nick.”

He subconsciously gulped. For the first time, he realized how much he had gotten in over his head. They weren’t just up against an uphill battle the size of Mount Everest; they had to face a bottomless abyss before they could even reach the mountain. And as he stood at the edge of the chasm, miles upon miles of pure darkness below him, he had to ask himself… was this really worth it? Or would they only go down in flames?

But he soon concluded there was only one definite answer:

Geronimo.
--- End quote ---

This one was harder to pick because I do have quite a few favorite scenes from this story, but I also didn't want to pick one that would spoil much of anything, so I had to settle for something that probably isn't my best work. This particular part I like, though, because I really wanted to start to show just how deep the hole was getting for both Nick and Alexi, that she wasn't just hurting herself, but others around her. And yet, Nick's willing to go the distance for her as will be proved later on... though it takes a while for him to learn that he needs to stop "helping" her so much and start helping himself.

Now that I've posted a couple of things, feel free to comment and/or post your own! :)

EDIT: Sorry, I edited some of the language... for some reason I didn't think to do it before. Sorry.  :-[

nicksgal:
Hmmmm.... *thinks*

Any excerpt I posted would be a total spoiler. :(

*sigh* No excerpts for me then. :(

Laura Mae:
Aw, come on, there's gotta be SOMETHING...

Purpura Lipstick:
uhhh I cannot choose

Laura Mae:
*sigh* You guys are no fun. *pouts*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version