Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Author Topic: Question on promoting  (Read 3002 times)

Mariah

• Major Disruption
  • Let go of today, tomorrow's another day...
    • http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewuser.php?uid=1274
Question on promoting
« on: October 22, 2007, 02:04:26 AM »

I know I only have 2 chapters to my story and its not much but I really don't know where its going. I need some help with some ideas maybe. Can someone maybe help me out with a tiny note? Also, what can I do to promote my story? The read count is over 100 so someone is reading. That would help a lot cuz I'm not sure where I should take the story. I hate to sound as if I'm begging, I just need a note, something to know someone is reading.
My Stories
Jack: FYI, he was the love of my life.
Will: You've said that about each Backstreet Boy at one time or another. -Will & Grace

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Question on promoting
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 08:57:30 AM »

I would definitely recommend that you plan it out before you start typing it up! It's difficult to just make things up as you go along, you end up running out of ideas, or not remembering what happened in past chapter -- plot holes avast. I'm kind of a believer in that you should never post a story if you don't know how it's going to end.

There's not a whole lot you can do as far as promotion goes, because most people use things like awards, or featured story of the month type things to get their name out there -- in your case I'd say you could probably post the link on the shameless plug board, but other than that... I'm not too sure.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Mariah

• Major Disruption
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 10:43:30 AM »

Well, I figure the shameless plug is in my siggy. I write out outlines and stuff and I pretty much know how this one is going to end but I would like some feedback on what I have so far. Just a note. I really wanna know what other people think about it unless I'd keep it in my notebooks like I used to. I'd hate to have to do that again. I guess it takes time right?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 05:11:16 PM by Mariah »
My Stories
Will: You've said that about each Backstreet Boy at one time or another. -Will & Grace

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 10:55:08 AM »

Well, I figure the shameless plug is in my siggy. I write out outlines and stuff and I pretty know how this one is going to end but I would like some feedback on what I have so far. Just a note. I really wanna know what other people think about it unless I'd keep it in my notebooks like I used to. I'd hate to have to do that again. I guess it takes time right?

Yea, but not everyone is going to necessarily see your signature. Every author is allowed to start their own thread on the shameless plugs board letting everyone know what they have out there, when they've updated, things like that. You'd probably have more chance of getting a few more views that way. Plus you can't rely on just the one thing (your signature) to get you notice, the more places for it to be viewed, the more likely someone will click the link.

If you like it, and you like to write it, you should post it regardless of whether or not the first two chapters have feedback. It's quite possible that things won't start to pick up until you are a few chapters in, then maybe someone might check it out and you'll get more views, but if you stop because of low feedback you're getting rid of any chance anyone would have had to read it.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Mariah

• Major Disruption
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 12:21:18 PM »

Yea, but not everyone is going to necessarily see your signature. Every author is allowed to start their own thread on the shameless plugs board letting everyone know what they have out there, when they've updated, things like that. You'd probably have more chance of getting a few more views that way. Plus you can't rely on just the one thing (your signature) to get you notice, the more places for it to be viewed, the more likely someone will click the link.

If you like it, and you like to write it, you should post it regardless of whether or not the first two chapters have feedback. It's quite possible that things won't start to pick up until you are a few chapters in, then maybe someone might check it out and you'll get more views, but if you stop because of low feedback you're getting rid of any chance anyone would have had to read it.

You misunderstood me again. I'm not posting it just for the comments. Yes, I did say that, no its not a typo. I do want comments, who doesn't? I keep saying this but no one seems to get it. If I really wrote for me soley, I would keep it bottled up in my notebook like it was before. That doesn't make me a bad person to want that stuff as well as just the fact that wrote it. I post it for both reasons. I just hope I'll get something the further I get into this story.

Hopefully a few more chapters in, someone will notice it. But I'll make up a thread for it maybe. Like an updates thread. Thanks for the advice!
My Stories

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 02:03:34 PM »

You misunderstood me again. I'm not posting it just for the comments. Yes, I did say that, no its not a typo. I do want comments, who doesn't? I keep saying this but no one seems to get it. If I really wrote for me soley, I would keep it bottled up in my notebook like it was before. That doesn't make me a bad person to want that stuff as well as just the fact that wrote it. I post it for both reasons. I just hope I'll get something the further I get into this story.

Hopefully a few more chapters in, someone will notice it. But I'll make up a thread for it maybe. Like an updates thread. Thanks for the advice!

You said you would hate to have to write only in your notebook again, I was merely pointing out that you don't know when someone is going to tune in... so if after 3 chapters you're discouraged because you've had no feedback, and don't see the point in posting because you aren't sure if people are enjoying it, you should do it anyway because someone may not catch up until chapter 10 or 11 and if you had stopped after 3 they would have never gotten to read it in the first place. Plus you may have readers who aren't quite ready to review yet. They may be waiting to see where the story is going. Just give it time.

You don't need to be defensive and snarky every time you talk to people on this board. You respond as if everything is a personal attack against you but it's really not, it has nothing to do with you, it's an observation that would apply regardless of who had asked.
~Maple Jellybean~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 02:18:36 PM »

I would say that the Shameless plugs and pizza board was made just for promoting your writing.

Like Julilly said, everyone can make their own thread and then you post in it when you have an update or news about any particular story. That's about all we do on the site for promotion.

Seems like if you have 100 readers plus though, your promotion is just fine. It's just one of those things that out of 100 people reading maybe 2 will actually take the time to respond to you. That's why the read count is there though, so you can see for yourself that people are reading what your writing.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Mariah

• Major Disruption
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 03:20:54 PM »

You said you would hate to have to write only in your notebook again, I was merely pointing out that you don't know when someone is going to tune in... so if after 3 chapters you're discouraged because you've had no feedback, and don't see the point in posting because you aren't sure if people are enjoying it, you should do it anyway because someone may not catch up until chapter 10 or 11 and if you had stopped after 3 they would have never gotten to read it in the first place. Plus you may have readers who aren't quite ready to review yet. They may be waiting to see where the story is going. Just give it time.

You don't need to be defensive and snarky every time you talk to people on this board. You respond as if everything is a personal attack against you but it's really not, it has nothing to do with you, it's an observation that would apply regardless of who had asked.

Honestly, all you really had to say was the first paragraph. Who knew you could hear what I type? I didn't know. Personal attack? Talk to people? So far all I've really done is ask questions and participate in discussions. Where were the obvious attacks? I have no hidden animosity to anyone here. Good lord, lol all I was asking was just some help because I'm new to this. But really, who are you to say to someone you don't even know that I have some kind of an attitude to people? Honestly, its unecessary when all I asked was a simple question. Its really not, and if you still think that than I'm sorry you feel that way because so far you're the only one.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 05:29:30 PM by Mariah »
My Stories

Mariah

• Major Disruption
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 03:26:33 PM »

I would say that the Shameless plugs and pizza board was made just for promoting your writing.

Like Julilly said, everyone can make their own thread and then you post in it when you have an update or news about any particular story. That's about all we do on the site for promotion.

Seems like if you have 100 readers plus though, your promotion is just fine. It's just one of those things that out of 100 people reading maybe 2 will actually take the time to respond to you. That's why the read count is there though, so you can see for yourself that people are reading what your writing.

I was gonna ask where but now I know where to do that thanks. I'm happy there's read counts there, you know its helpful to know people are reading.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 03:53:59 PM by Mariah »
My Stories

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 06:49:53 PM »

I read your two chapters and left you a review on AC.  Here's what I said:

~~~

It's hard to give detailed feedback on a story when there's only two chapters to judge it by, but I will try.

Interesting start. Online relationships with Bsb are always sort of intriguing because most of us can put ourselves in that place... we've got online friends, we chat with people we don't really know, and we wonder, what if...?

I think you did a great job at making Iris's reaction in this chapter realistic. I would be weirded out by the way this random guy commented on my journal and then IMed me too.

On the grammar side of things, one thing you really want to watch is staying in one tense. You keep jumping between past and present, and it makes the story kind of choppy and confusing.

Hope that helps!

~~~

Like Julilly said, don't be discouraged because you haven't gotten much feedback yet.  You only have two chapters up; it really isn't a lot to go off of for readers wanting to invest in a new story.  It's hard to think of detailed feedback for only two chapters, unless the opener is really intense or unique or something.  I usually wait until more of the stoy is up, and if I get into it, then I review.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 08:29:05 PM »

Did I review the wrong story?  You didn't specify which story it was, but you said 2 chapters, so I looked for the one with 2 chapters...
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Mariah

• Major Disruption
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 12:39:12 AM »

Well I was just gonna say it was the other one I had up but its ok. My other one had 7 chapters under it and no reviews.
My Stories