Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Featured Story of the month for November 2007 - Somewhere I Belong by Teri  (Read 29028 times)

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
    • Drifting-In-Between-Dreams A Place to Lose Reality if Only for a Moment
Re: Featured Story of the month for November 2007 - Somewhere I Belong by Teri
« Reply #120 on: November 22, 2007, 05:08:30 AM »

I really have to say this because I was presented with some conflicting ideas about beta-reading and my work and I just would like to get things off my chest. Thank you to my betas, for all your help in developing my ideas into what you see on AC. I had all the basic ideas and plotpoints and character development in my head and discussing it all with you the past year or so (some shorter and more recent like Tri but none the less still extremely important) sometimes it's so helpful for me to just spout off ideas and go on random tangents for hours at a time just to organize my thoughts and that's what I truly appreciate about my betas.

And as far as feedback from them goes I love hearing their opinions on my ideas and my work even though I may have my own ideas of where my story should go, I still value your opinions especially when they stray from the stock "oo it's good!" monicker.

I guess what I'm saying is thank you for your help, though I would have been able to get the same result without your beta-ing, it would have taken me much longer to do so, and for some things that have come from having betas (like awesome character development brainstorms) it's been able to help my characters really grow and evolve into almost real people in my mind and the minds of at least a few of my readers that I've spoken to.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 05:10:08 AM by Teri »
Spike: "Hey big guy I'm going to need some new wheels the other one ended up in the...drink..."
Angel: "Spike.... just walk away"
Spike: "You're a..."
Angel: "Don't say it!"
Spike: "You're a bleeding puppet!"

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #121 on: November 22, 2007, 06:38:21 AM »

Aww that was sweet. I feel the same way about mine :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Tri

« Reply #122 on: November 22, 2007, 10:22:23 AM »

Sweetie, I LOVE reading your story and I find it a total honor to be one of your betas.  Okay, so forgive me while I go a little "after school special" on you.  I approach reading your story like it's classic literature and I love dissecting every little part of it literarily.  I know that I've said it repeatedly, but I'm going to say it again.  You're extremely talented.  Your characters are stunning, your plots are well-developed - SO well thought out (I can ask you what Ali and Nick talked about on such a such a date and you KNOW!), and it shows how much you love your characters through your writing.  I love that you're finally getting recognized for your work because I know it's been a long time coming.  You know that I don't read much fan fiction so the whole idea that I can read yours completely without skimming, enjoy analyzing it, and then love beta reading for you is really unique.  And it's simply because of your talent and the way you approach it.

Beta reading for you hasn't been difficult because through the time that I have been, we've been getting closer and closer.  I think that through our character development exercises, we've gotten to know each other because we put ourselves into our characters.  We work issues out in our writing.  If you understand Nick and Trina in HDL, you understand me, and I feel as if it is the same with Nick and Ali in NI.  While other things are happening outside of our friendship - minor disagreements, interference from other people, and various other stress from family/school/work - we've managed to get closer.  You can call it a "freaky twin thing" (which is SO is because it's CREEPY how much we're alike sometimes), but whatever it is, I'm glad that we both managed to find it because I think we're really good for each other.  I hope that, while I in no way take credit for your ideas, I help get you excited about writing.  I know that you get me excited about my work and that you've really helped develop my ideas and my characters.  I only hope I can help you in the way you've helped me.

I'm not going to sit here and talk about what beta-reading your story has done for me because I can't really explain it fully.  I know that I've found an amazing beta reader that fully understands me, respects me, and values what I have to say.  And I have never been able to open up like I open up to you with have anyone else (as far as our literature AND as far as life in general).  I'm aware that this connection doesn't take place with everyone and that's why it's even more special.  It's not the type of thing you can force.  I can't fake excitement for things and it wouldn't be fair if I did.  We're really close now and I love it.  Because, throughout all of this, I've found a best friend.  To me, a best friend should be everything that you are to me.  You honestly just make me happier and you make me believe in myself and my decisions.  I love knowing that there's someone else on this earth that can actually understand me.  And I really hope that when you've expressed the same type of thing, you were being honest.  I've never had a completely mutually friendship and I love that I've seemed to have found it with you. 

I don't want to say that any of my reviewers or the betas that I've had have been any less important than you are because everyone has managed to influence me (whether positively or negatively), but our connection is definitely once in a lifetime in all aspects.  I appreciate you so much and I love hearing what you think about my writing because I adore yours so much. 

I couldn't have thought of a better time to say this, but here we are on Thanksgiving.  And when I think of all of the things and the people that I'm thankful for, you come at the top of the list this year.  And I hope it'll continue on like that for many years to come!  (Next year, we're gonna be roomies at this time!!!  :))

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
« Reply #123 on: November 22, 2007, 12:45:12 PM »

^ WOW! See this is WHY I talk to you Tri. You made me feel about 100 times better than last night, urgh I was just so upset dealing with so many things. And it's actually given me quite a bit of inspiration for chapter 26, and how though Ali just had a breakdown, it's not the end of emotional rollercoaster
Spike: "Hey big guy I'm going to need some new wheels the other one ended up in the...drink..."

Tri

« Reply #124 on: November 22, 2007, 02:24:56 PM »

^ WOW! See this is WHY I talk to you Tri. You made me feel about 100 times better than last night, urgh I was just so upset dealing with so many things. And it's actually given me quite a bit of inspiration for chapter 26, and how though Ali just had a breakdown, it's not the end of emotional rollercoaster

I'm glad I could make you feel better!  It was all true, honey.  And hooray for working things out in your writing.  I can't wait to see how it turns out...

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #125 on: November 22, 2007, 09:38:26 PM »

wow so much love in here I just want to hug something. :)

Very awesome!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
« Reply #126 on: November 22, 2007, 11:33:35 PM »

yeah i've needed it lately with everything going on in my life it's been nuts! to say the least and i'm glad i have people like tri in my life to help me through it and really see things in a real perspective. That and it's helping my writing immensely.

Tri

« Reply #127 on: November 23, 2007, 12:06:17 PM »

Aww, I'm glad to have you in my life, too, hun!  :D  I think we're great for each other AND for our writing.  So yay!

(Did I mention I'm really giggly this morning?)

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
« Reply #128 on: November 23, 2007, 05:42:39 PM »

woo 26 is up! lol and november's almost over *boooo!* lol i'll have to go back to updating in my own thread LOL!

Tri

« Reply #129 on: November 23, 2007, 06:15:11 PM »

woo 26 is up! lol and november's almost over *boooo!* lol i'll have to go back to updating in my own thread LOL!

Dude, awesome chapter!  And I'm totally gonna miss this thread.  LOL.  I think we should start a new thread called "The Yoda & Obi-Wan Character Development Thread" and talk about characters and analyze them!  All are welcome.  :D

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #130 on: November 23, 2007, 06:22:47 PM »

you know ladies this thread isn't going anywhere lol you can still use it after your month is over, it's just that your story won't be the featured one anymore, that's all. 

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
« Reply #131 on: November 23, 2007, 06:51:58 PM »

lol true. But usually I just move onto the next featured thread and focus on that new story lol i'm weird yes! lol. But I'm really happy right now, and will be oh so happy to see who gets featured next hehe. I'm sure everyone whose been featured can totally understand that it's MAJORLY inspiring. hell this month alone I've written I think about 10-15 chapters. soo it's really awesome. And yes we need to start that thread tri!

Tri

« Reply #132 on: November 23, 2007, 06:58:57 PM »

lol true. But usually I just move onto the next featured thread and focus on that new story lol i'm weird yes! lol. But I'm really happy right now, and will be oh so happy to see who gets featured next hehe. I'm sure everyone whose been featured can totally understand that it's MAJORLY inspiring. hell this month alone I've written I think about 10-15 chapters. soo it's really awesome. And yes we need to start that thread tri!

I totally think we should start the thread, too!  I mean, we could discuss our characters how we do on IM and maybe help other people dissect their characters like we do!  It could be a lot of fun.  People could form little cohorts with their betas and they could analyze their characters like we do for each other.  Not to sound cocky, but I think we've really helped each other with our writing because of how in-depth we talk about our stuff!!  :D  And it'd be great to spread that motivation and excitement to other writers through an open forum.

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
« Reply #133 on: November 25, 2007, 10:54:28 AM »

I've decided I'm seriously on a roll lately geez, I'm already on chapter 29!! I hope to finish it up tonight after I get back from work (grrr if they don't make me stay which I'm not allowed to according to my doctor)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #134 on: November 26, 2007, 05:39:12 PM »

Well as we head into the home stretch for this one, is there anyone else who has any questions for Teri? Or thoughts about this series?

I'm so happy to see you on a roll with your updates Teri, that's excellent!

Another question for you

I know you had a lot of anxiety about one of the most recent chapters you have posted, are there any other pivitol huge defining chapters coming up that have you a little worried?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10