Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Eww...I hate writing sex scenes.  (Read 14527 times)

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
Eww...I hate writing sex scenes.
« on: December 17, 2007, 01:56:03 AM »

I'm writing my fifth sex scene ever, and the first one I've written in a year and a half, and I'm icking myself out.  I just can't do it, but, unfortunately, I need to because it makes sense with the story.

Has anyone else felt weird about writing love scenes? If so, do you get past it and write one anyway, or do you just not write them? And, if you do write one, are there any particular techniques you use to not feel weird when you write one?

Off I go to try to write this scene...*insert barfing smiley here*
Sarah

MonkeyAbu

Re: Eww...I hate writing sex scenes.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 02:02:45 AM »

Sex scenes/vizzies can be difficult to write sometimes. But they are sometimes necessary for a story plot.

I don't think I have ever written a sex scene in one of my stories, but I've considered it. I have however written a short vizzie or two as a sort of writing exercise when it comes to sort of delving into that area of writing. It was very weird the first time and still weird after that. But one way to get past that I think is to maybe imagine yourself in the female character's role. How would you be feeling in the situation? How would you want it to go? What would you do sexually? I dunno. I think it also makes the sex scene seem a little more realistic when you are writing it out while mentally placing yourself in the situation.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 07:36:01 AM »

I hate writing them too, which is funny because my friends and I used to write them together when we were in High School.

MonkeyAbu has a good suggestion -- to try and place yourself in the position of the female character.  When it comes time to write mine I think I'll try that :)
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 02:16:29 PM »

HEH! I can't write sex scenes if I place myself in them, I get weirded out that I'm sharing a "fantasy" with everyone. .... PLUS all my stories that might have them involve Nick and ew ew ew :p
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 04:24:00 PM »

I couldn't do it. I don't think ever. I got a little graphic with the rape scene in Cinderella and it was the hardest thing I've ever done. and it wasn't a full on vizzie. ewe. I have a hard enough time reading them. I usually skip over the sex in stories. And when I write I definitely am the fade to black type.

good luck Sarah. I'm giggling right now because it would be weird to read a sex scene from you. I can't remember if there was one in second chances or not, but I don't think so. Which story is it?
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 05:41:48 PM »

Lore, I am right there with you on the whole putting myself in the scene part. EWWWW how weird. Thanks, but no thanks. I'm not an exhibitionist LOL

I totally do the whole fade to black thing, too, Kelly. There was one of those in Second Chances and Once Upon a Time, I think. But, yeah, the only story that I had a few scenes was Then Again, and I had to re-read those and sorta kinda plagiarize myself in order to write this one for Someday We'll Know. Ugh. I am totally not going to do it again if I can help it.
Sarah

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 06:00:04 PM »

Oooh sex scenes... They can definitely be a bitch and a half and I definitely struggle with them big time. To me I constantly challenge myself though because I know its not easy for me and if I can do it I know I'm a good writer if that makes sense. I keep trying to outdo myself because two of the writers I occasionally beta or betad wrote amazing sex scenes and I always felt like I wasn't good enough I guess which I know is kind of stupid... I've come to the realization that I no longer want to be exactly like them, so now i write how I want although that still means pushing comfort zones ever once in a while which I don't think is necessarily bad.

As far as tips go well I think by now you all know about my dark chocolate obsession lol. It works I swear! Also I know its hard, but you just kind of have to write it and not analyze every word. Some of the better sex scenes I've ever wrote I just kind of pounded out in a rush and then went back to it later and was like OMG did I write that?

If you need any help or would like any opinions on what you have so far I'd be happy to look it over for you Sarah?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 07:28:31 PM »

Sex scenes are definitely weird and sort of awkward to write.  I was always a fade to black kind of writer too, but in BMS, the sex became kind of important to the plot and the emotional aspect of their relationship, so I started actually writing the scenes.  I've written a few now, and it's still awkward getting started.  Once I get into them, they're not so bad.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 07:49:25 PM »

Sex scenes are definitely weird and sort of awkward to write.  I was always a fade to black kind of writer too, but in BMS, the sex became kind of important to the plot and the emotional aspect of their relationship, so I started actually writing the scenes.  I've written a few now, and it's still awkward getting started.  Once I get into them, they're not so bad.

I usually only find them hard because I giggle... a lot... because I'm incredibly immature lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 09:06:40 PM »

I usually only find them hard because I giggle... a lot... because I'm incredibly immature lol

LMAO Julilly, you crack me up.

Seriously, guys, I don't really know why I find it so difficult to write a sex scene now because I used to have no problem with it when I first started writing. I actually really liked the scenes I wrote for Then Again, but, for whatever reason, I just can't pull it off anymore.  Last night, when I was trying to write my first Nick sex scene, though, I was just ick ick ick all over the place LOL Honestly, my favorite author ever is Nora Roberts with her romantic suspense and, even though her sex scenes are as glossed over as possible and are more emotionally descriptive than physically, lately, I can't read hers either. I think maybe I'm developing a subconscious aversion to sex LMAO

Thanks for the offer, Mel. I think I'm just going to post that chapter in the next week or so and see what people have to say. It honestly ended up with the scene being only 2 paragraphs long LOL We'll see...
Sarah

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 10:06:15 PM »

I think its harder now than when we were younger (cuz I had the same thing) because now I think you REALLY realize what you're writing lol. It's weird cuz in a way now my sex scenes or more detailed, but when I was younger I was a lot more freerer with certain word choice and stuff.

ALTOS should be fun cuz I have to write a WHOLE lotta sex, but its actually very central for the plot and actually for character development, so that's definitely going to be a challenge for me.

Poor you if you're already developing an aversion to sex at your age LOL j/k

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 09:10:23 PM »

You all have made me crack up. I seriously never would have guessed that a lot of you dreaded writing sex scenes. I always that I was the weird one, cause I hate it to. I just write the scene without getting graphic I guess that would be the fading to black thing you guys do. LOL  ;D

Kagoma

• Major Disruption
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 08:03:25 AM »

I don't hate them, but it is hard writing them, specially when its a slash fanfic, it just a little harder to do (no pun intended). It seems to me that most of the fanfiction that I have done do have some sex in them, which is funny because I've never had sex before. O_0

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 01:20:56 PM »

I don't hate them, but it is hard writing them, specially when its a slash fanfic, it just a little harder to do (no pun intended). It seems to me that most of the fanfiction that I have done do have some sex in them, which is funny because I've never had sex before. O_0

That is funny..I think maybe then is when it's easier to write a sex scene, cause you write about what you think it would be like. I also give you props for being able to write a slash sex scene (Story in general) I would never be able to do that...it would be weird.

Kagoma

• Major Disruption
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 02:35:56 PM »

That is funny..I think maybe then is when it's easier to write a sex scene, cause you write about what you think it would be like. I also give you props for being able to write a slash sex scene (Story in general) I would never be able to do that...it would be weird.

Its only easy if your a fan of slash or read it, or something. I've been reading it for a while now, so its easy for me I guess. Slash can either be writen very while or writen very poorly, that nothing makes sense. I try hard to make the characters real and not cheesy.

The key word being 'try'.
Pages: [1] 2