Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Author Topic: Your thoughs on Slash.  (Read 2725 times)

Kagoma

• Major Disruption
Your thoughs on Slash.
« on: December 20, 2007, 02:44:24 PM »

Hi, Kagoma here, your resident slash fanfic writer. I was just wondering for a while now, what were some peoples thoughts on Slash. I've been writing it for a while now and I've found that some people seem to enjoy it, but that's just a few bit of people. Do you like?  Do you think its weird? Do you say far away from it as possible?

I want to know how the people feel about this.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: Your thoughs on Slash.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 04:09:23 PM »

I don't particularly enjoy reading slash.  I just find it...I'm not really sure.  (Wow, that was eloquent.  lol)

I don't have anything against people who write it or read it.  More power to you!  I read one really good slash story once that was Nick/Kevin.  It just seemed to me you had to dig through a lot of bad to get to a few original stories.  Of course, I guess the same could be said for any type of genre (Romance especially!)

This might also come from my days being an anime convention coordinator.  13 year old Yaoi (boy-love for those of you not in anime fandom) fangirls terrify me.

Although, there was a time when I was a huge Gundam Wing fangirl and would read anything that had to do with Heero x Quatre.  I guess as I got older my tastes just sort of changed.  If there was a really good slash story out there, I might try reading it. I don't think I'd ever write it myself though.

~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 05:57:42 PM »

Slash REALLY doesn't do it for me, so I usually skip the slash stories. They kind of weird me out and I'm not the type who finds guy on guy action "hot" at all. I can't IMAGINE ever writing one or even coming remotely close to writing one. I've read maybe one REALLY good one in all my years in the fan fic world and I liked it because the story actually focused in on the effect that Nick and AJ being gay actually had on not ony their lives, but the group as well, so it was a lil more angsty than most slash. Even that though I skipped the sex scenes.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 06:00:45 PM »

I'm not into slash.  I just can't take Bsb slash seriously; the few that I've read just made me laugh, but they weren't intended to be funny.  :-\
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 06:39:51 PM »

I think there's only ever been one writer whose slash i could read just because of the way she wrote. unfortunately, she's off the internet now and her stories are gone *sniffs* the only reason i think i could read hers was because she didn't focus on the physical aspect of the relationship as much as she did on the psychological, emotional, etc nature of the relationships. plus, the stories always had much more involved than just the slash relationship. i wish Kid Sinclair would come back. she was friggin' awesome as a writer. i think she's my favorite fanfic writer probably ever...

i still love all of you on here, too!! i promise!! It's just that Kid had such cool stories, ones that always made you think, and most of her stories made me cry. Anyone who can make me cry with their stories is number one in my book. I think the only other author who did that was Mers with her Finding Brotherhood.

anyway, this thread is about slash, and to answer your question simply: No, I can't read slash. It will be a very rare day indeed when I can...
Sarah

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 08:04:24 PM »

I'm not into slash romance, myself. I have nothing against reading, slash and I have written it but not in a romantic sense, it was more of a sexual abuse sense so it was in kind of a different category. I can't get into m/m romance fics at all.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Kagoma

• Major Disruption
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 10:07:43 AM »

I don't particularly enjoy reading slash.  I just find it...I'm not really sure.  (Wow, that was eloquent.  lol)

I don't have anything against people who write it or read it.  More power to you!  I read one really good slash story once that was Nick/Kevin.  It just seemed to me you had to dig through a lot of bad to get to a few original stories.  Of course, I guess the same could be said for any type of genre (Romance especially!)

This might also come from my days being an anime convention coordinator.  13 year old Yaoi (boy-love for those of you not in anime fandom) fangirls terrify me.

Although, there was a time when I was a huge Gundam Wing fangirl and would read anything that had to do with Heero x Quatre.  I guess as I got older my tastes just sort of changed.  If there was a really good slash story out there, I might try reading it. I don't think I'd ever write it myself though.

I should have figure you to be anime fan for the fact that you have the Melanchoy of Haruhi Suzumiya avatars, cool by the way.

Kagoma

• Major Disruption
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 10:11:53 AM »

*Nods head* Okay, I understand, okay that's cool, some people don't like it and some do. In my slash storys, there has been a forcus of sex in them. In the future I'm going to change it up of course but for now, I write the sex in them for practice, to see if I can actually come up with a sence.

Which i can, so yay for me ^_^

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 02:09:57 PM »

I'm not really into it either. Like Julie, the idea of BSB slash is just more amusing to me than anything, so I can't really take it seriously.

For a while I was into Puzzleshipping, but that kind of faded. *shrug*
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 08:50:01 AM »

I am trying to catch up on some of these threads whilst putting up my Christmas decorations lol Yes I had to wait until today, so sue me! I was a busy girl and had no time to be Santa until now.

Slash...hrmm well I can tell you that when I first started reading and writing fanfic, slash was the bomb for everyone. It seemed like people couldn't get enough slash. It seems over the years it's appeal has kind of dwindled. Personally I have never been a fan of the genre. I can't seem to take the boys seriously in that light because in my eyes I have never seen then as homosexuals. If I did, it probably wouldn't bother me but to me it's kind of like reading one of those really out there stories where the boys are too far out of their real characters to be taken seriously. 

Even if that wasn't true, i'd stay away because to me slash implies a romantic/sexual element to the story and I avoid those stories as well. So i'm an equal opportunity picky reader lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 05:23:48 PM »

LMAO mare. you crack me up. Yay for you being on vacation finally! Um slash? I just can't get into it. And visual slash. ... am I allowed to say ewe?   Props to you writers of it though. Never in a million years could I write one and not turn it into a total parody. 
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.