Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Author Topic: As seen through his eyes.  (Read 2955 times)

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
As seen through his eyes.
« on: December 31, 2007, 12:22:19 PM »

First of all, Happy New Year everyone!

And secondly, its been really quiet around here, so I'm going to ramble at you for a bit. I'm just feeling all discussion-like right now because I'm having the most interesting time writing my current story and I want to know what everyone else thinks.

Ok, it's a romance written in first person from Brian's perspective. It has been insanely difficult to write for a couple reasons. First of all, how do you make a boy sound like a boy when he's being written by a girl? It has been so interesting trying to get inside Brian's head and try to tell a story the way he would see it. Then to add to that, it's a romance. So now I have to worry about a boy telling a story all about a chick. Sooooo hard to not sound girly and so hard to think about a relationship from a guys point of view. Trying to think about his actions and and his opinions is difficult to say the least. I mean guys are so dumb sometimes ya know? 

And then, he's basically clueless about what's going on inside her head and how she feels about everything. Because honestly, what man understands women? Well that makes it even harder to write because how do you get the reader to see what she's thinking simply by her actions? Since he's telling the story I can't go inside her head at all and I still need him to be a little clueless, but the reader has to see what's going on.

And its weird because this same story would sound so one hundred percent different if she were telling her side of it. and I wonder sometimes if it might be a more interesting story if I'd chosen to tell it from her perspective and we all might be able to relate to it a little better if we heard what she was thinking and not him.

Ha. I don't even know what I'm trying to say just that it's been very interesting to write this story. I don't even know if its really working, but its been really fun. And and entirely new experience for me. Talk about a challenge. lol. A boy romance? hehe.

Has anyone else here ever written a romance told by one of the boys? I know Rose did in Just Another Day,(Which I loved btw) but she actually jumped back and forth between Nick and Cally so you still got to see Cally's side of it. I'm super curious to hear what kind of experiences others have had who have done this and I would love to read a story that's like it. I'm sure I can't be the only one, so if anyone knows a good story that is first person of one of the guys and is a romance, let me know! I'm really curious to see how others have done it.

anyway, ok the topic... stories written from a boys perspective... discuss...
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Re: As seen through his eyes.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 03:49:37 AM »

I still give you props for telling it as Brian, Brian is a HARD head to get into. Dunno why cause he's a fave for me, but he is. Even Nick was hard, and can be. I just happen to know a boy reallly realllllly well and can add his flavor into it and pull a Nick lol.

I debated writing fic in just Nick's pov, novel wise. I'm just not comfy enough in 1st pov to do it yet. :)

Happy new year!  :-*
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 11:54:13 AM »

I can see why that would be tough, Kelly.  I've written whole stories from the guy's perspective before, but not in 1st person (at least not a romance).  I find 1st person tough anyway, at least for a whole novel.

It sounds like an interesting challenge, though, and I bet it will turn out great!  I tend to prefer stories that are more from one of the Boys' perspectives because that tends to make it more Boy-centered instead of girl-centered.  Most romances are girl-centered, so props to you for doing something different! :)
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 07:25:23 PM »

Julie, you had Years of Grace that was from Brian's first person POV, right? I thought that was pretty well done.

I know I've got a story in the works that is Brian's first person POV, and I'm pretty excited because it's definitely different from what I usually write. I feel like, when we romance writers write a story, we end up, unintentionall y, making the story more centered on how the female feels rather than focusing directly on the Boy. Which makes sense considering we're women and that's who we relate to best.

As far as stories that are first person Boy and romance, I don't think I've ever come across one besides yours, Kelly. I know that one of my many current side stories, Adrift, is Brian's perspective and is half first person, but that's just because I'm experimenting with the first person before I dive completely into it. I have to admit it's not as hard as I thought it would be...but then, I think we could all guess what Brian would think or feel if, one day, his wife told him she thought they needed to be apart LOL Other than that, though, I can't tell ya anything more until I start on my completely brian 1st person story.

However, I think you are doing a fabulous job on IWWAM...and you know how much I could gush about it if you let me ;D I really do feel like you're capturing his perspective and thoughts really well, while, at the same time, showing his bafflement at Jordan's behavior. Guys, for some reason, are often baffled at female behavior. Wonder why... :P
Sarah

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 07:39:26 PM »

I think writing through the boy's pov would probably be tough when it comes to the romancy type stuff unless you could write it while maybe picturing your boyfriend, husband, boy toy of the moment or whatever lol I think for me i'd make him too woman like probably.

I love writing as the boys, that's all I really do and I just kind of picture them on an interview or as i've seen them before writing as them.

I do think it's more interesting reading it from the guy's perspective since we are girls and already know how we would feel about things lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 08:05:35 PM »

Julie, you had Years of Grace that was from Brian's first person POV, right? I thought that was pretty well done.

Oh, that's right!!  LOL how sad is it that I didn't even remember that story was in first person?  I actually thought of it when I first read this thread, but then I thought it was in third person, cause most of my stories are.  The only one I could remember writing in first person was Fight for Survival.  And I was too lazy to go check LOL.

Okay, so I HAVE written a romance in first person from the guy's POV, and it was even about Brian too.  That said, I'm not gonna even pretend it was an amazing job of it LOL.  But I guess I did attempt it at least LOL.  And I had a blast writing that fic when I was writing it.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 08:08:35 PM »

I think for me i'd make him too woman like probably.

*cough* Yeah I think I have that problem.
~Julie

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 08:55:11 PM »

I think, as hard as I check and double check and triple check it, I'll always somehow have some sort of feminine characteristic s or thoughts, etc added in here and there. We can't exactly help it, though, since we ARE women. *shrugs*

And, Mare, I absolutely love all of your portrayals of the Boys, especially Nick because it feels like you seem to capture him in the best way. I bow to you  :notworthy:
Sarah

LenniluvsBrian

• General Pandemonium
  • You gave me a smile that I will never forget.....
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 12:27:05 AM »

For me, I just think or what that person might say & what I might say, then try & put them together - lol. I do that for role play a lot & mostly for A.J. I think or what I think he might say, then say it - I had some people telling me that I sounded just like him at times [so they say-lol]. And I think you're doing a fine job thus far!

~Lenni~
Concert Tickets: $270
3 BSB T-Shirts: $105
BSB Sweater: $85
Poster & Book: $30
Having Brian grab me & pull me close during sound check: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Train Ticket: $14.95
Bus Fare: $3.50
Marilyn Denis Show Ticket: Free
Nick Carter singing to me on live television: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALM

• Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 09:49:15 AM »

Tri doing a really good job with Double Trouble which is in Nick point of view