Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Losing the love...  (Read 7316 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Losing the love...
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2008, 02:24:19 PM »

Yeah, I totally know what you mean.  And it's so hard, after you know what it feels like to have that "one" that you are so totally into and that readers like and everything.  It's like, how do I top that one?  How do I create that magic again?  I have no answers for that LOL.  But it'll come...

I tend to forget this, but I think I went through a little mini-slump like this the year before I started Broken.  I finished a story called Years of Grace towards the end of 2001, and I didn't start another novel of my own for five months... which, at the time, was like, whoa!  Five months seemed like a really long time.  I did write stuff in between there... that's when we started Code Blue, and I wrote some short stories and stuff, but it was weird to not have a novel of my own to work on, cause I always had.  I don't remember what my problem was then... maybe a lack of ideas?  I dunno.  But I worked on small projects here and there, and then eventually I got a new story idea and wrote You'll Never Walk Alone... and then a couple months after that, it was Broken, and I was set for five years LOL.  You just never know when the "right" idea will hit, but it doesn't always happen when you want it to LOL.  But it will happen at some point. :)
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2008, 03:08:25 PM »

there we go!

Can I be in on this group hug? *looks hopeful*
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2008, 03:09:29 PM »

LMAO true. If you can finish Pbox after how many years, then certainly I'll be ok eventually.  :P 

speaking of pbox...

Two and a half. lol Most of it was me not writing though. :( I need some new inspiration. I still have that fluffy romance I thought about writing, but I can't seem to motivate myself to do it. lol And then I wanted to change the end and blah.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2008, 05:17:56 PM »

Can I be in on this group hug? *looks hopeful*

Of course, you can be the pink one! lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2008, 09:02:20 PM »

Kelly it's okay, I've been updating less myself thanks to work getting in the way, I'm too pooped to write. I have like 4 chapters for 4 stories started all with only like 3 pages lol. Right now the only thing I can really churn out is 00Carter. So I'm relaxing and waiting till the muse hits. I'm not so much in a slump as just tired lol, but I get how you feel. I'd give advice but everyone's said the good stuff  :P

My advice about the quitting thing, because i'm the same way, is kind of simple. Just don't quit lol So what if you go for a long time without updating something. It doesn't mean you'll never go back to it. If you are the type that doesn't quit, than most likely you'll see the story through so no worries about that. If people are invested in the story they'll come back to it when you do. I mean look at you guys and Yesterday's Blue Skies. Maria hasn't updated that one in years but if she did tomorrow i'm sure we'll all be there reading it.

So true, Divisions Of Reality I've had going since 03 and with the loss of a writer and sparse updates, I still have people who've stuck with it since day one. Readers when they truly love a story, they're loyal. They wait, and many still come back. Or maybe it's just sci-fis lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2008, 08:05:40 AM »

As far as feeling pressured by my readers to update? I don't think that's my problem so much as the pressure just comes from myself. My readers? I'm not sure how many still read all my stuff. I know there's a couple who will read most of what I write, but I tend to change Boys or change genres, so it seems like every story I write has a different group of readers.  I don't think I've felt reader pressure since the Welcome To My Heart days.

That's a good point Kelly. A lot of readers are very loyal to one genre. So of course you are going to get different readers for say Fan Friction than If We Were a Movie because they are completely opposite in genre. I can see how that can be hard because an author you have a strong fan base, but that fan base doesn't necessarily follow story to story because they might not be into everything you write. You really do cover the complete spectrum.

Having several projects at once is tough. I have a bad habit of doing that myself. It is a good idea to have one MAIN story and then maybe one or two side projects to work on when you're not feeling the main story. Anything more than that though gets overwhelming. And if you're like me you get a new idea, cannot get it out of your head, write the first two chapters or so and then post it on AC and never get back to it. I think maybe you should narrow your focus a bit for the time being.

Also look at everything you've written in like the past two years or so... A LOT! I thik churning out stories that fast would be enough to burn anyone out!
Pages: 1 2 [3]