Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Ugh... Great minds thinking alike in the fan fic world  (Read 38611 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: Ugh... Great minds thinking alike in the fan fic world
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2008, 12:09:02 AM »

LMAO, DEE, don't listen! No taking notes right now!  HAPPY ENDINGS!!! HAPPY ENDINGS!!! HAPPY ENDINGS!!!! YAY HAPPY ENDINGS!!!

I thought of this briefly and laughed when I posted my own response to that. lol
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2008, 12:09:28 AM »

lol I live for fairy-tale endings.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2008, 12:10:18 AM »

My theory on endings is this:

If the whole story is fluffy happiness, throw in a sad or at least bittersweet ending to change it up.

If the whole story is gloom and doom, then come on, at least let it end well!

I prefer the latter myself.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2008, 12:10:49 AM »

I will always prefer angst to fluff.  I got crap from my readers too, but at the same time, it did keep them coming back for more.  (Well, most of them.)   The thing is, I didn't purposely do that just to keep the readers' interest... it was more to keep MY interest.  Because like I said, I prefer drama to fluff.  I had fun with the fluffy scenes that are in BMS, but when it came time to break up Nick and Claire, I was SO ready to do it!  And then, of course, I was ready to get them back together way before I actually could, but if I had tried to write another story with them together the whole way through, I would have just gotten bored again.  And I would have come up with more sources of external conflict, most likely resulting in physical pain for one or both of them, because that's just what I do LOL.  But it was so overdone in those stories already that I knew I just needed to STOP.  I have a whole plot outline for a third story written out, after getting some ideas from readers, but it's so over the top that I kinda always knew I would never write it.

I think its important not to overstay your welcome. I mean in some instances you can get a whole series out of characters, but I think a 3rd Broken story would have been too much. They went through SOOOO much already, yet I'd be bored with a story that just was lovey dovey Claire and Nick popping out some more kids. I definitely prefer the angst too and I got a lot of crap cuz UMS wasn't a "happy ending." But I know that I'm not the only one getting crap and I finally looked at who the comments had been coming from and I realized that I don't exactly value those people's opinions the best anyway. I now feel confident in what I've decided to write. And if readers want to read fluff about perfect marriages with perfect sex lifes and perfect children then there are quite a few out of them, but I think that the BEST writers are the ones who aren't afraid to experiment with the darker side of emotions. That's why I LOVE angst and I feel like so many readers are disregarding it lately.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2008, 12:12:04 AM »

My actually theory on endings is to give the story the ending that serves the story. You shouldn't go out of your way to end it happily or sad if it will just ruin the story in the end. :)

But most of my stories seem to end depressingly.l ol
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2008, 12:14:51 AM »

My actually theory on endings is to give the story the ending that serves the story. You shouldn't go out of your way to end it happily or sad if it will just ruin the story in the end. :)

lol this is true. but my stories usually tend to merit happy endings. I think Searching For Mecy was the closest thing I've ever written to a not perfect ending and it was that I just couldn't end it fluffy when all those messed up people weren't fluffy. but then Searching For Mercy isn't my best story either. So maybe I should just leave the angst up to the pros...
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2008, 12:16:01 AM »

I think its important not to overstay your welcome. I mean in some instances you can get a whole series out of characters, but I think a 3rd Broken story would have been too much. They went through SOOOO much already, yet I'd be bored with a story that just was lovey dovey Claire and Nick popping out some more kids. I definitely prefer the angst too and I got a lot of crap cuz UMS wasn't a "happy ending." But I know that I'm not the only one getting crap and I finally looked at who the comments had been coming from and I realized that I don't exactly value those people's opinions the best anyway. I now feel confident in what I've decided to write. And if readers want to read fluff about perfect marriages with perfect sex lifes and perfect children then there are quite a few out of them, but I think that the BEST writers are the ones who aren't afraid to experiment with the darker side of emotions. That's why I LOVE angst and I feel like so many readers are disregarding it lately.

That's a good point, about looking at whose opinions you really value.  I kinda figured that out too.  For instance, one of the people who kinda turned on my characters early on in BMS, yet continued to read and send feedback, was a writer herself and wrote a completely different kind of romance than what BMS is, and I realized after awhile that she just didn't "get" it.  She didn't "get" what I was going for.  Whereas other people were totally on the same page as me; they "got" Nick and Claire and their relationship and so on.  So I put more value in their feedback than the other's.  Although when one of those turned and started critiquing, then it sucked because I knew she had a point in what she was saying.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2008, 12:16:57 AM »

lol this is true. but my stories usually tend to merit happy endings. I think Searching For Mecy was the closest thing I've ever written to a not perfect ending and it was that I just couldn't end it fluffy when all those messed up people weren't fluffy. but then Searching For Mercy isn't my best story either. So maybe I should just leave the angst up to the pros...

Well, I'd say you're the expert on fluffy. lol So maybe I should just leave fluffy romances to you through that logic. lol
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2008, 12:17:39 AM »

Well, yeah LOL.  You have to go with what you think is the right way to end it, whether it's happy, sad, or bittersweet, and no matter what your readers will think.
~Julie

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2008, 12:18:10 AM »

lol I'd say I'm a fan of fluffy. I'm hardly an expert on anything.

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2008, 12:19:29 AM »

That's a good point, about looking at whose opinions you really value.  I kinda figured that out too.  For instance, one of the people who kinda turned on my characters early on in BMS, yet continued to read and send feedback, was a writer herself and wrote a completely different kind of romance than what BMS is, and I realized after awhile that she just didn't "get" it.  She didn't "get" what I was going for.  Whereas other people were totally on the same page as me; they "got" Nick and Claire and their relationship and so on.  So I put more value in their feedback than the other's.  Although when one of those turned and started critiquing, then it sucked because I knew she had a point in what she was saying.

Very similair situation here. Some people just are completely different writers and have completely different styles and I've come to learn that you can't change a person and MAKE them write how you want the story to go. If I'm getting sick of the direction a story is heading in so much so that it upsets me to that extent, the best thing is to stop reading and shut up and stop complaining.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2008, 12:19:55 AM »

Well, yeah LOL.  You have to go with what you think is the right way to end it, whether it's happy, sad, or bittersweet, and no matter what your readers will think.

I think my readers think I'm a terrible person. lol
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2008, 12:20:20 AM »

lol I'd say I'm a fan of fluffy. I'm hardly an expert on anything.

You're an expert compared to me. lol
~*Dee*~

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2008, 12:20:26 AM »

Aww... Kelly I LOVED Searching for Mercy! How's the sequel going?

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2008, 12:22:23 AM »

I like sad endings sometimes... they make you think.  Although, happy endings can do that as well.  I suppose it's true, the ending needs to fit with the story.  Typically I like to have some parts work out, and some parts not go exactly according to plan.  Also, I like to kill off my characters... cause I'm horrible and sadistic like that..:P

I actually wrote story way back in the day with the purpose of it having a sad.  Mostly because I got irritated with all the fluffy teenyboppper perfect romance back on FF.net... I gave them a sad story... some liked it, some didn't, it was good times.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15