Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: I may be a dork, but I'm kinda excited! (sorry, it's a long post)  (Read 13214 times)

AJsKellyMouse

• Minion of Mayhem

So I finally broke out of my shell and started posting some of my stuff.  Well, okay, one chapter of one story so far, but it's a long and tedious process re-writing the worlds most cheesy and poorly written story.  Yes, I'm talking about one of my own... I THINK it was my first fanfic that I wrote (but I couldn't be sure on that).

I was going back through my old stuff and when I first wrote the story I changed character names halfway through writing the story.  I went back and changed some of them, but missed a few, too.  It was sad.  I was completely embarassed when I looked at the story!  One character in particular started off as Andrew/Andy, and was later switched to Kaiden (I had reasons behind changing his name), so half the time the kid was called Kaiden, and the other half it was Andy.  I'm sure had anyone ever read it, they would've been completely confused.  I'm fixing that (as well as other stuff) now, btw.

Anyways, on to the excitement part...which, coincidentally, terrifies me at the same time.  I had my stories posted on my own website (which is currently undergoing major renovations, if I ever decide to bring it back), so I could never really tell when anyone read them.  I posted the first chapter here this afternoon, and I already have feedback!  And if I'm understanding this whole thing, at least 20 people have looked at or read the story.  I was completely surprised by it all, and oh so totally excited!

Okay, I'm done with my dorkiness, I was just excited, and had to share with someone!

BTW-to the editing nazi's, I have attempted to use the tips and tricks on these boards to help with my writing, so I hope I do you proud! LOL  (I even went back through this way too long post to separate paragraphs and such to make my ramblings a little easier to read!)
~Kelly~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: I may be a dork, but I'm kinda excited! (sorry, it's a long post)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 11:42:36 PM »

Yay for seperating paragraphs! lol

It's always fun to go back through your old stuff, isn't it? :) As to the feedback, congratulation s. And don't worry about the story seeming hard now, if you like it, everything will be for the best in the end. :)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

AJsKellyMouse

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 12:04:10 AM »

Yay for seperating paragraphs! lol

lol  I'm getting much much better at this.  I'm usually only bad at the seperating paragraphs when I'm rambling.

It's always fun to go back through your old stuff, isn't it? :) As to the feedback, congratulation s. And don't worry about the story seeming hard now, if you like it, everything will be for the best in the end. :)

As for this, it's actually not too bad.  It was more the knowing that people are reading my story (as opposed to believing that no one ever saw my stories before, whether or not that was true) that was the difficult part.  Having the story all written-the story line is there, it's almost like an outline that I hate doing!-helps a lot.  I'm older and wiser now (at least I tell myself I am), so it's not as hard to uncheese the story.  I just hope others agree.
~Kelly~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 12:18:21 AM »

As for this, it's actually not too bad.  It was more the knowing that people are reading my story (as opposed to believing that no one ever saw my stories before, whether or not that was true) that was the difficult part.  Having the story all written-the story line is there, it's almost like an outline that I hate doing!-helps a lot.  I'm older and wiser now (at least I tell myself I am), so it's not as hard to uncheese the story.  I just hope others agree.

Really? I think the fact that people read it makes it easier to get motivated to do it. :) So I think you'll be just fine and it will turn out great. :)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

AJsKellyMouse

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 12:23:22 AM »

I dunno, I guess I'm weird.  I am one of those people who cares way too much what other people think (I'm really really working on this, and I'm better than I used to be), so it was scary for me to know that someone else was reading something I wrote.  In high school I used to try to put my papers in the middle of the stack so no one else could even see just the first page (I know, I'm a freak!).  But after the feedback I got though, it totally motivated me to keep re-writing.  I guess I just had to get over that caring about what other people think thing.  I'm told I don't give myself enough credit.
~Kelly~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 12:26:01 AM »

Aw, everyone cares what other people think of our work. We wouldn't post it if we didn't. :)

Just believe in yourself and do your best. :)
~*Dee*~

MonkeyAbu

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 01:14:41 AM »

Dee is right. Besides, everyone is their worst critic.

AJsKellyMouse

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 01:46:35 AM »

I still care what other people think, like you said, everyone does-I'm just working on not caring quite as much.  I have to remind myself that there will always be someone who doesn't like me, or my stories, or whatever-and that doesn't have to be a big deal.

I got on a roll tonight.  I'm totally wired and just chugged out two more chapters of that story.  I completely re-wrote one scene.  On of the other boards has a thread about weird things you do when you write-like acting out the scenes and such.  I totally did that for this and it was so weird.  Good think it's 12:30am and I live alone!  It really helped me with the scen though.
~Kelly~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 02:00:00 AM »

Dee is right. Besides, everyone is their worst critic.

Of course I'm right. lol I'm always right. ;)
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 02:00:35 AM »

On of the other boards has a thread about weird things you do when you write-like acting out the scenes and such.  I totally did that for this and it was so weird.  Good think it's 12:30am and I live alone!  It really helped me with the scen though.

I love acting out my scenes. ;D And I totally don't live alone. lol
~*Dee*~

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 02:52:00 AM »

Aww, yay for other rambley people who need to fear the editing nazi's! Glad I'm not the only one! Congrats on finally posting! That's a huge step. I agree, completely terrifying, and yet strangely liberating at the same time. As for the reviews? I think this site is really great about that, glad its helping to motivate you! Keep going and I'm sure you'll surprise yourself with how much you can grow.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

AJsKellyMouse

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 11:29:34 AM »

I love acting out my scenes. ;D And I totally don't live alone. lol

LOL I have never acted them out or anything like that before.  Usually I try to picture it all in my head, but it's just not the same.  Sometimes I can see it like a movie or something, but that doesn't always work.  And I definitely decided that you can describe it better if your actually doing it.  It would've been sooooo embarassing had someone walked in while I'm sitting there acting out a kiss...by myself.
~Kelly~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 11:41:26 AM »

^ROFL!

That's better than acting out a death scene or flying. lol

I always run through the dialogue out loud too, to make sure it doesn't sound awkward. ;D
~*Dee*~

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 11:43:25 AM »

I also run through dialogue out loud... but only when I'm alone in the house hehe
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 11:48:38 AM »

I never do it unless I'm by myself in a room, because I know it gets annoying. lol Shouting about murder and things like that. ;)
~*Dee*~

Pages: [1] 2 3 4