Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 8944 times)

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 09:28:51 PM »

I just finished reading Lilah by Marek Halter and now am reading Empress by Shan Sa. Shocker they are both historical fiction. :)  Lilah based on the woman from the Bible and Empress based on the one and only female Emperor in China.

Next on my list is The Hidden Diaries of Marie Antonette (sp?). Or The Innocent Traitor ... about Jane Grey.

I haven't read Deception Point yet but I've read Angels & Demons and The DaVinci code so I will probably pick up that one as well. You want to talk books I LOVE them. :-D  
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

AJsKellyMouse

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 09:30:58 PM »

I'm in the middle of one of the Harry Potter books at the moment.  Well, I'ev been in the middle of it for a while-I think it's the 2nd to last one.  and still somehow I have managed not to find out exactly what happens at the end of the last book.  I am kinda going through a "I wanna read all those books I was supposed to read in high school, but never actaully read" phase.  So I just finished Night by Eli Weisel and The Giver by Lois Lowry.  I have the Scarlet Letter, just haven't gotten around to it yet...

And I agree, Nineteen Minutes founds really interesting, I'll have to go check that one out, too!
~Kelly~

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 09:31:43 PM »

I'm in the middle of one of the Harry Potter books at the moment.  Well, I'ev been in the middle of it for a while-I think it's the 2nd to last one.  and still somehow I have managed not to find out exactly what happens at the end of the last book.  I am kinda going through a "I wanna read all those books I was supposed to read in high school, but never actaully read" phase.  So I just finished Night by Eli Weisel and The Giver by Lois Lowry.  I have the Scarlet Letter, just haven't gotten around to it yet...

And I agree, Nineteen Minutes founds really interesting, I'll have to go check that one out, too!

The Giver! I loved that book!
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 09:36:18 PM »

Ugh the Scarlet Letter brings back horrible memories lol

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 09:38:07 PM »

I know Kelly (honey) brought this series up earlier this year, but Stephanie Meyer's Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse are so so so good! They're geared towards the high school crowd, but they have mass appeal like Harry Potter does. I think a lot of people on this board would like them. My 8th grade campers recommended the books to me last year as well as an art teacher I worked with, so I finally picked it up and devoured the books lol
Sarah

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 09:39:00 PM »

Oh, absolutely! In AP English my junior year of high school, we had to dissect it to pieces and then watch this horrible horrible film version of it. It was bad.
Sarah

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 09:39:31 PM »

eegads the Scarlet Letter *dies and not in a good way*

Better book, East of Eden by John Steinbeck (and I LOVED it before Oprah's damn bookclub)
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

AJsKellyMouse

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 09:41:40 PM »

lol Yeah, I got it, and I'm having trouble actually opening it.  I borrowed a few from the library, and the others on my list I couldn't find, so I settled for it.  I read parts of it in high school, but mostly I skated by using the cliffs notes or whatever their called.  I have a feeling I won't open it before I have to return it.
~Kelly~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 09:41:49 PM »

the only D I ever got in high school was for a paper I wrote on that book and how much I detested it and it's weak plot. Had I known my teacher was the queen of the Scarlet Letter fan club, I would have rethought my decision. lol yes i'm STILL not over it!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 09:42:14 PM »

Oh, absolutely! In AP English my junior year of high school, we had to dissect it to pieces and then watch this horrible horrible film version of it. It was bad.

Same here! So bad...
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 09:43:53 PM »

lol Yeah, I got it, and I'm having trouble actually opening it.  I borrowed a few from the library, and the others on my list I couldn't find, so I settled for it.  I read parts of it in high school, but mostly I skated by using the cliffs notes or whatever their called.  I have a feeling I won't open it before I have to return it.

I have a feeling that you're probably not going to open it lol Save yourself the horror and the agony...

Oh, Mare, I'm totally not over getting the first of many C's that that particular English teacher bestowed upon me. I'd never had a C in my life and then that one showed up...and I'm still not over it!
Sarah

AJsKellyMouse

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2008, 09:46:32 PM »

AP English-ick.  THAT brings back bad memories.  My senior year was the first year my school started offering AP classes, so of course I had to sign up for the ones I could-AP english, and AP Honors Calculus.  I dropped the english one and went to a 'regular' class 2 weeks into the year.  The teacher was known to be evil. Her name was Yamamotto, but everyone called her Yamahomo-"Yeah I'm a homo".  We were mean.
~Kelly~

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2008, 09:48:26 PM »

AP English-ick.  THAT brings back bad memories.  My senior year was the first year my school started offering AP classes, so of course I had to sign up for the ones I could-AP english, and AP Honors Calculus.  I dropped the english one and went to a 'regular' class 2 weeks into the year.  The teacher was known to be evil. Her name was Yamamotto, but everyone called her Yamahomo-"Yeah I'm a homo".  We were mean.

Do teenagers come in a 'not mean' model? lol
~Maple Jellybean~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2008, 09:48:51 PM »

It was awful lol and this lady was a witch to begin with. :p

AJsKellyMouse

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2008, 09:50:07 PM »

Do teenagers come in a 'not mean' model? lol

lol we weren't horrible...she was just evil...okay fine, we were horrible, just like all the rest of the teens.
~Kelly~
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4