Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Need a question answered please  (Read 9870 times)

exclusive

• Fledgling
Need a question answered please
« on: March 17, 2008, 03:58:25 PM »

Hello everyone, so I'm new to the board, but have been on absolutechaos for like six years.lol Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I guess we'll find out.

Anyway, I was going to post a new story (my first) in response to the March challenge and for whatever reason, when I preview the text that I posted, it formats the paragraphs to centered, rather than left. Does that make sense? If so, how do I keep that from happening so that when I post for real, it comes out normal?

Maybe this has already been asked, but I looked and didn't find anything. I'd really appreciate some help. Thanks in advance. ;)

~exclusive

AJsKellyMouse

• Minion of Mayhem
Re: Need a question answered please
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 04:31:01 PM »

Mine does that all the time, too.  I just highlight the whole chapter and click the button for left justify.  It's a pain, but that's how it works for me too.  Hope that helps!
~Kelly~

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 04:36:31 PM »

For me it did that in preview mode, but once I actually posted it, it turned out fine.. *shrug*
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

AJsKellyMouse

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 04:40:38 PM »

For me it did that in preview mode, but once I actually posted it, it turned out fine.. *shrug*

Ahh, see, I never actually posted after seeing it centered in preview, so it may have worked right for me, too.  I dunno.
~Kelly~

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 05:17:36 PM »

You have a left justify button? I only have a little text box and have to add in all my own code if I want it done. *shrug* Maybe it's the browser I use?

Sorry, I'm not sure how to help, but I'm just jazzed that someone new wants to respond to the challenge! Yay, I have way too much fun with the challenges. Welcome exclusive! Hope we hear from you more often!
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

AJsKellyMouse

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 05:22:57 PM »

You have a left justify button? I only have a little text box and have to add in all my own code if I want it done. *shrug* Maybe it's the browser I use?

What browser do you use?  I have the left, center and right justify buttons, and a few others things-I don't remember what they all are.
~Kelly~

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 08:16:21 PM »

mostly safari. (I'm on a Mac.) but I do have a version of firefox on here somewhere. I could try that I guess. I know that makes the difference for me over at fictionpress. they don't support safari very well. A lot of sites don't yet.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 08:17:43 PM »

I think it's just one of those annoying things that happens. Unless you highlight it all and do the right thing, it'll automatically center everything. Make sure you use the correct toolbar. I know i've made the mistake of thinking I was using the main body toolbar when it was actually the summary one etc.. lol

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

AJsKellyMouse

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 10:03:16 PM »

I actually tried posting a chapter today without doing the highlight and left justify thing, and it showed up center in preview, but normal when I posted it just like Sakabelle said hers did.  It's weird that it does that.
~Kelly~

exclusive

• Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 11:35:20 PM »

All this left justify talk is confusing me (hehe), like someone else said I use safari so I don't know where that button would be. lol

But I guess I'll just post it all and see what happens like a couple of you suggested. Thanks for all the help everybody, I really appreciate it!

exclusive

• Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 11:40:01 PM »

Sorry, I'm not sure how to help, but I'm just jazzed that someone new wants to respond to the challenge! Yay, I have way too much fun with the challenges. Welcome exclusive! Hope we hear from you more often!

Aww see you're making me all nervous now, I'm so scared to post it 'cause it's kind of plotless, but I thought I'd give it a try. I have a couple other stories in the works but I'd hate to post anything before it's finished, just because I don't want to leave people hangin' in case I don't get a chance to finish...but we'll see maybe there will be the more to come. ;)

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 03:08:37 AM »

hahahahahaha then you, my dear, are far more considerate than most of us around here. I personally, leave people hanging all the time, and for far too long.

Aww, but don't be nervous. Post it! lol that's not an order or anything. All the challenges are kind of pointless, just cute little snip-its. That's kind of the point. Have you been reading any of the responses to the challenges over the months? They're all pretty fun to compare.

exclusive

• Fledgling
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 11:52:11 PM »

hahahahahaha then you, my dear, are far more considerate than most of us around here. I personally, leave people hanging all the time, and for far too long.

Aww, but don't be nervous. Post it! lol that's not an order or anything. All the challenges are kind of pointless, just cute little snip-its. That's kind of the point. Have you been reading any of the responses to the challenges over the months? They're all pretty fun to compare.

Okay, Okay! I did, I did! lmao I ended up just posting it centered in the preview, and it posted normal. It's called Keeping up Your End. I think I did this challenge just because I'm more drawn to drama than humor and this is one of the first challenges I read that could have gone drama, you know what I mean?

I had another question though, are the summary and the story notes included in the word count? Because in my document it said I was under 2000 words, but on here it said I was over, so...confused. lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 11:16:01 PM »

Ugh, this is pissing me off!!  I would love to be able to post mine and have the formatting from Word still show up - italics, underlining, and all of that - without having to do the coding myself - but when I try to attach it as an HTML doc, the indenting is all messed up.  Some of the paragraphs are indented a lot, and some only a little, so it looks all lopsided.  And it took me a few tries just to get it looking that nice.

Now I remember why I usually just copy/paste and don't worry about the formatting LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 11:26:52 PM »

I do the same thing Julie. I even started writing my stories in word in an AC kind of way. like I have full spaces between paragraphs, and I never indent anything cause I know it won't stay that way and a lot of times where I would bold or italicize i just use all caps cause I'm too lazy to input my own code. I probably don't even know how to correctly format a story anymore.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4