Tears Before Bedtime by summer
Summary: Sometimes you meet someone, and before you even know their name, before you even know where they're from...you know that sometime in the future, this person is going to mean something to you. There are millions of people in the world...but in the end, it all comes down to just one.
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Group
Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance
Warnings: Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 14364 Read: 4553 Published: 01/27/10 Updated: 09/29/10
Story Notes:
© Copyright 2009, 2010

1. Chapter One by summer

2. Chapter Two by summer

3. Chapter Three by summer

4. Chapter Four by summer

Chapter One by summer
Author's Notes:
I started this fic awhile back but the inspiration to continue it didn't hit me until recently. I probably won't be updating it as often as my other, but it is something I will be working on. I hope you take a moment to check it out and offer feedback. Thank you!

 

She wore a white evening gown; the kind that hugged her chest and lithe waist then flowed from the hips and pooled around the floor. A sharp v shape was cut in the neckline and a sparkling silver chain with a diamond on the end hung around her neck. Her skin was tanned and her long, blonde locks cascaded down her back in ringlets that shimmered with the mini Chinese lanterns that hung in the vicinity. She had big, round and beautiful eyes; eyes that danced and glimmered with life, practically shouting out her feelings. But it was her laughter that caught his attention. When he heard it, everything seemed to fade away and she filled his head, sending chills down his spine and making the hairs on the nape of his neck stand up.

He had been sitting outside on the patio of La Fleur enjoying a quaint and relaxing dinner. The Roasted Chicken with Herbes de Provence was one of the best dishes that the little French Bistro had. He’d never been there before, but the dinner had come highly recommended and he’d ordered it on a whim. One could never go wrong with chicken. His dinner companion had gone with some kind of salad, though they had excused themselves to use the restroom at the moment. And that was when the laughter had filled his soul. It touched something inside and he turned his head, trying to seek out whom it belonged to. He needed to find the owner of the voice, it was so melodious and he just knew it had to belong to someone amazing.

She was not at any of the outdoor tables. Nor was she just on the other side of the doors, seated at the tables inside. Her laugh came again and he felt his heart skipping a beat. Though he had not laid eyes on her yet, he found her joy infectious, a grin tugging at the corner of his mouth. His dark eyes continued to scan the area, passing over the marble fountain surrounded by beautiful red, blue, pink, orange and purple flowers then snapping back to it. There she was, a vision in white, laughing and holding her dress up around her knees as she danced in the fountain. Her bare feet kicked at the water, sending droplets raining down around her. Soft music drifted through the cool evening air but this angel was dancing to the music in her head, not caring who saw her or what they thought.

He watched her, hypnotized by both her beauty and actions. She sounded like a beautiful song; flutes and violins and chimes. It was heaven to his ears and he found himself standing, weaving through the tables and stepping off the patio. It was a short walk around the flowers then along the marble path up to the fountain. He hadn’t even realized what he was doing until he was standing before her, watching as she laughed more and danced, a real smile on her lips.

She didn’t notice him at first, her gaze directed towards her feet and the water she was playing in. But then something caught her gaze and she lifted her head, her bright and bold sapphire eyes meeting his own chocolate ones and his breath was stolen.

“Hey.” Her voice was sweet music; light and airy but filled with joy.

He blinked and shook his head some, trying to find his own voice. “Um….. hey…” Then he suddenly realized that he had left his table and was now standing at the fountain watching this beautiful stranger.

“I’m Karis.” She stepped up onto the ledge and lowered her dress, holding her hand out to him. “What’s your name?”

“Uh….” What was his name? Oh. Right. “Alex… I’m Alex.” He took her hand and a jolt raced up his arm. It was as if she were passing along her vibrantness.

Those bold eyes danced. “Well, Alex…would you care to join me?”

“What?” Join her? “You…um …like… in there?” He nodded towards the fountain.

“Of course! C'mon, you’ll have fun!” She giggled and hopped back off the ledge and into the water, holding her arms out and turning in circles. “This is almost as fun as dancing in the rain.”

Alex glanced around, wondering why no one was trying to stop her. “Aren’t you worried about getting into trouble?” His gaze turned back to her and he felt tummy flutters.

“Why would I get into trouble for enjoying life?” She sent a spray of water in his direction and a few drops spattered across his chest. “I’m not hurting anybody.” She flashed a thousand watt smile that showed off a perfect dimple in her left cheek.

He couldn’t argue there, and nobody seemed to mind. “So, do you normally go around dancing in fountains?”

“Not usually.” She had her head back now, watching up at the starry sky, still twirling in circles. “Sometimes I’ll dance in the rain, or in the middle of a crowded room. Or even on a train.”

“Or in a box or sometimes with a fox?” He teased at her rhyming, quoting from the popular Children’s book Green Eggs & Ham.

She was quick to respond. “I even dance here or there, I like to dance anywhere.”

Alex chuckled low. “Dr. Seuss.”

“I loved that book growing up.” She was looking at him again, her head tilted with the sweetest expression on her face. “Well, that one and The Cat in the Hat.

He couldn’t explain the bubbly feeling in his chest, but suddenly he wanted to laugh. “I remember The Cat in the Hat.” He seriously could not believe he was standing here talking to some girl dancing in the fountain and discussing Dr. Seuss books. This was new.

“It’s a classic.” She did a pirouette then turned her attention back onto him. “Are you going to join me?” Those sapphire eyes were twinkling and beckoning him.

“Uh…I um…” His cocoa colored eyes glanced around quickly. He wasn’t so sure if he wanted to get up there with her and dance around in the chilly water. Besides, he was here with someone; he couldn’t just go traipsing around with this stranger.

“Ooh, come on…” her full lips curved into a teasing grin. “…live a little bit. What’s the fun of life if you don’t enjoy it?” As she spoke she ran her hand under a stream of water then flicked it towards him.

Alex was half tempted to. Her eyes, her mannerisms, that dimple, and most importantly, her laugh were drawing him in. She was filling his head and he was more drawn to her than he had been to anyone before. It puzzled him but he did not dwell on that thought for very long. Later, when he was alone, he could sit and ponder this attraction, wonder just what it was that was bewitching him and causing him to want to throw all caution to the wind and climb barefoot into the fountain.

“Dance with me.” She reached towards him, moving closer and extending her hands.

He wet his bottom lip and looked to her hands; they looked delicate, yet warm and inviting, and he found himself reaching for them.

“Alex?”

The voice came from behind him and he whirled, feeling himself hurtling back down to the world around him. “Huh, what?”

A thin brunette stood at the edge of the patio, a quizzical expression on her beautiful features. She had long chestnut hair that framed a heart shaped face, and big, doe like, vibrant green eyes. A deep blue dress with spaghetti straps and a flowing skirt swirled around her legs and she was clutching a black evening bag with both hands. “What are you doing?”

“Uh….” Alex was speechless. What was he doing? He didn’t know. He shook his head a little bit, trying to clear the fog out of it. “Um…I…uh, nothing.”

The girl looked rather perplexed. “Um….are you…done eating?”

“No.” He shook his head and started over to where she stood. “I um…it’s nothing.”

“Are you sure?” She peered around him and towards the woman in the fountain.

Alex glanced back to see her twirling again, the bottom of her dress soaked. She appeared to have slipped back into her happy place and forgotten about him. “Yeah, I’m sure. C’mon, let’s finish our meal.” Then he placed a hand on her back and steered her over towards their table, pulling her chair out before taking his own seat.

“Who is that woman?”

Alex glanced back towards the fountain and gave a little sigh, returning his gaze over to his girlfriend. “Um… I don’t know.”

“What do you mean? You were over there talking to her.” She didn’t sound accusing, more like confused and perplexed.

He put his napkin back into his lap and watched Ainsley Porter. The two had been dating for about nine months now, exclusively for six. She was different than his usual type and he had found that refreshing and nice. It felt good to be in a relationship where he wasn’t being used or taken advantage of, and the other person involved liked him for who Alex was, not AJ or what he could do for them. They had met through a mutual friend and Alex had no intention of pursuing the beautiful woman because she just hadn’t been his type. She was reserved, quiet, modest and respected herself. And she hadn’t been interested in giving the pop icon the time of day.

Until, that was, they were supposed to attend a baseball game with their friend but he couldn’t make it. Alex had been forced to sit through nine innings with Ainsley, though by the bottom of the fifth he was sitting there by his choice. She was not only beautiful, but witty and engaging and he found himself wanting to know more about her and see her vivid eyes light up as she talked about things that were dear to her. Knowing he could make her laugh filled him inside and after the game they spent another couple hours at a restaurant across the street from the stadium. By the end of the night, they had a date planned for that weekend and the next three months was spent dating, getting to know one another more and growing close. Six months ago they had decided to take their relationship to the next level and had become exclusive, which was new for the tattooed gentleman, but with this woman, he had been willing to give it a try.

“I just … um…” Alex honestly couldn’t explain why he had gone over there. “I just thought it was strange she was standing in a fountain.”

“It is strange.” His girlfriend glanced that way once more. “Maybe she isn’t right in the head.”

He wasn’t sure what she was in the head. “Who knows.”

Ainsley shrugged some and twirled her fork around in her chicken salad. “Well, whatever.” She shrugged the other woman out of her mind and turned her full attention back to her boyfriend. “So, how were your meetings today?”

“They were alright. We managed to get a lot figured out which is very surprising because usually the four of us can hardly agree on anything lately.” He was referring to himself and the other three members of the popular music group The Backstreet Boys. They had just finished another album and had been trying to plan a promotional tour before the actual tour was to take place. Normally these things went off without a hitch but lately the quartet was having the worst time trying to get onto the same page. Each member had a different idea with how to do the promoting, they wanted to go to different places and they all wanted to go at different times. This was faring to be the worst album prep that they had had yet.

“Yeah?” She speared some lettuce and took a bite, keeping her attention on him.

He nodded and cut into his chicken. “We’re going to do some radio promotional tours in June for a few weeks then get into the television interviews; MTV, David Letterman, Regis and Kelly…GMA, you know.”

“Ooh, that sounds really cool.” She flashed her pearly whites. “It’s going to be so weird to see you on TV though.”

“You think so?” His eyes twinkled. Their relationship had been evolving as he and the other guys had been in the studio writing and recording. She had gone down and met him for lunch there a few times and sat in on a few sessions, but she had not gotten to experience his shows, or the fame that came along with being a celebrity. So far they were having a normal relationship, but Alex had been sure to warn her about the craziness that would soon ensue; his weeks away from home and all the attention from press, paparazzi and fans they would surely be receiving. She’d seemed positive about things, but worried a little bit that it would affect them. While he hadn’t been able to promise it wouldn’t, he had reassured her that he was going to try his hardest to make what they had work.

“I do. And I’m so excited to finally see one of your shows!”

“I know, baby. I can’t wait until you see us either. You’re going to love it.”

Ainsley gave a cute giggle. “Maybe I should paint my face and make a glitter sign.”

Alex chuckled. “I dare you to.”

“Ooh, don’t dare me, because I will. I’ll talk to Marley and we’ll go total teeny on you and Nick.”

He laughed at that; the mental more hilarious to him at the moment. He could just picture Ainsley with his name painted on her cheeks and a huge poster board decorated with his pictures and some catchy little phrase. “Man, if you tell Marley, then I know you two will show up decked out like the ultimate fan.”

His girlfriend tee hee’d and took a sip of her water.

“So, how was your day?” He questioned once he had calmed down enough to speak clearly.

“Long.” She set her water glass down and adjusted the silver bangle bracelets around her wrist. “We have this new resident doctor that drives me up the wall. Always barking this or that, not even listening to what anyone has to say. And he’s such a pig.” Her cute little button nose wrinkled. “I’m just waiting for him to hit on me so I can report him.”

“Aren’t all doctors like that though? Least the ones on television always are.”

“Heh, they’re not supposed to be. Your internship is supposed to be learning experiences where you can use the knowledge you’ve gained from medical school.” Her green eyes clouded some. “But this guy is such a dick and every day I have to see him I want to smack him across the face.”

Alex pouted some at his girlfriend’s frustrations. “Is he like that one doctor on Scrubs?”

“If that guy is a pompous ass, then yes.”

He wanted to chuckle because she was so cute when she got all fired up, but he knew it wouldn’t be appropriate. “I’m sorry, baby. But I know you and you always make the most out of the worst situations.”

“I’m definitely trying.” She sighed and lifted her fork again, dragging the tines through the salad. “I just hope I can survive the next seven months then pass the boards and get my residency. He’s going to make it so tough.”

Alex reached across the table and took her hand. “You’re going to be just fine. You’ll get through this internship with flying colors and ace that test. You’re gonna be the best pediatrician in the state.”

Her green eyes shone at him. “You really think so?”

He matched her smile. “I know so.”

That made her smile and she squeezed his hand. “Gosh, I love you.” As soon as the words left her mouth her eyes widened and her lips formed a small ‘o’.

He blinked at that, feeling his heart doing a leap against his ribcage. Had he heard her correctly? Had she really said that? No, no there’s no way; there hadn’t been enough time for her to feel that way yet.

“I um…I…um I….I um I mean….” She was stammering and tripping over her words, her peaches and cream complexion growing pale. Nervously, she tucked some hair behind her ear. “That …that’s not…I…um….”

With his heart beating away in his chest, Alex watched this amazing woman across from him. Her stammers and that absolutely petrified expression in her eyes made his stomach dip and he took her hand again, tugging on it until she met his gaze. “Hey…”

Ainsley bit her cheek and fiddled with the chain of her necklace.

His deep eyes searched hers and he felt something stir inside. This woman was so amazing and perfect for him and he’d be a fool to ignore the feelings he had for her. The past few weeks he had been trying to stuff them away, he knew that things were developing and growing, changing for the better. But he hadn’t expected her to feel the same way, at least not yet. Without a doubt he loved her, but without a doubt he was scared to death.

Wetting his bottom lip, Alex smoothed his thumb over the back of her hand. “Do… do you really love me?” His voice was so low that she had to strain her ears to hear him. This was the moment of truth. Either she would deny it and it would probably be months and months before either one brought it up again, or she would say it again and he would tell her he felt the same way. Then they’d go back to his place and make love and he would spend the entire night worshipping her body. This was a turning point in their relationship, but was it for the better, or worse?

She hesitated then gave a nod, her cheeks flushing a light shade of pink. “Yes….”

Her tone matched his and he leaned over the table, closer to her. “Say it.” It was barely a whisper.

The rise and fall of her chest was sharp and he could hear her intake of breath. That dainty pink tongue darted out and the tip touched her top lip. The air around the two was thick and the sounds of the other diners; the plates clinking, their murmuring voices and the soft music had faded, leaving only them in this moment. “I love you…”

The smile slowly grew over his face and he felt his heart warming; leaping and trying to soar right out of his chest. He lifted her hand and pressed his lips to her palm, holding it there and closing his eyes a moment, relishing in the feeling and not sure if he could even speak right yet. Her hand trembled against his mouth and he gave a soft sigh, knowing she was probably on edge wondering if he felt the same way.

Kissing her palm softly again, he lowered their hands back to the table and met her gaze, having the sudden urge to pull her into his arms and hold her close. “I love you.”

Her shoulders visibly sagged as a look of relief washed over her. “You do?”

Alex nodded and kissed her fingers, then her palm, then her wrist. “More than you know.”

“R…really?” Tears were gathering in her eyes and she wiped at the corners of them with her free hand.

He gave another nod and cupped her hand with his, holding the back of it to his cheek, his gaze still on her. “Really, baby.”

Ainsley giggled low and covered her mouth with her other hand, her cheeks blushing again.

“Aww, baby…” He reached out and traced a finger over the blush.

Her fingers caught his and she brushed her lips over them.

The moment was perfect; there weren’t too many words to describe it or even speak, but neither needed that. Those three simple ones had said it all and it was enough. Two souls have found each other nine months ago and had now formed a love that was slowly growing into something grand and bigger than the both of them. This kind of love was new to him, and as scary as that was, he knew that need for her was unlike the need he’d had for anyone before. So he would push through the fear, because his experience with past relationships was enough to know this was one he needed to hold onto, with everything he had.

“Baby?”

Her sweet voice broke through his thoughts and he blinked some, kissing her knuckles and finally lowering her hand. “Yes, my love?”

“You wanna get out of here? I’d kind of like to maybe…go somewhere a little more private.”

“Anything for you.” Reluctantly, he released her hand and signaled for the waiter.

Ainsley smiled and gathered her purse, fiddling with the strap and watching as Alex paid the bill and signed the receipt. Then he stood and held his hand for hers, helping her up and giving her lips a soft kiss. Together, they started from the patio, heading back into the building to cut through and leave through the front doors where they had parked.

Alex smoothed his hand to her back as he paused to let her head inside first. Nodding at an older woman who watched the couple with a sweet reminiscing expression, he tugged some on his suit jacket then took a step for the French doors. But a sudden laughter stopped him in his tracks. It bubbled up and sent a shiver down his spine and he turned, feeling his heart skipping a beat as he met the round, doe like, sapphire eyes of the angel in white that had been fountain dancing.

She was now standing amongst the flowers with one tucked behind her ear. As their eyes met, she gave another melodious laugh and twirled a flower between her fingers. Then she tossed it up into the air and did a spin, her dress billowing around her legs. He felt frozen in his spot, watching as she tossed flower after flower into the air and soon a hail of bright colors fluttered around her. She giggled again and looked back his way, giving a wave then blowing a kiss.

“Goodnight, Sam I am.”

Though she was on the other side of the patio, Alex heard her sweet voice clear as day and a shudder ran through him. His throat quickly grew dry and he could not force himself to tear his gaze from her. She captivated him and he felt mesmerized by everything about her. She truly bewitched him and he would have probably stood there all night had his girlfriend not called for him.

With a start, he jerked and looked her way, wondering what the hell was wrong with him. “I’m um…I’m coming.” He quickly hurried inside but not without one more glance to the flowers, only finding it empty and the angel in white nowhere. Feeling more perplexed than ever, he caught up to Ainsley and took her hand. “You ready?”

“I am.” She gave the most loving expression and leaned up, kissing his cheek.

“Then let’s go.” Giving her hand a squeeze, he led her from the restaurant and away from the enchanting blonde he only knew as Karis.

Chapter Two by summer
Author's Notes:
Thank you so much for the feedback! I really appreciate it and was able to get another chp done for you guys. I hope you continue to leave your thoughts and keep on reading and enjoying. :) Thanks again!

 

Alex McLean stepped from his black Porsche Cayenne and shut the door. He jiggled his keys in his hand and hummed a little bit as he strolled up the walk to his porch. Ainsley’s yellow Honda Civic sat in his drive which meant she was off today; a rarity in her line of work. Grinning at the thought, he climbed the porch steps and quickly unlocked his front door. His girlfriend was pretty good about making sure the house was locked if she was there alone. Though they didn’t live together yet, his beautiful, brunette bombshell would often meet him there after her shift, or stop by and let his dogs out in the backyard if he happened to be away for awhile. The longest they’d been apart though was three days when he’d had to fly to Florida for his friend’s father’s funeral. Ainsley had wanted to come along, but with her internship she rarely could get a day off. He wondered how they would juggle their relationship when he started touring and being away a lot more.

Stepping into the house and resetting the alarm system, Alex tossed his keys onto the end table and glanced towards the living room as laughter flowed his way. She wasn’t alone; he could hear another female voice chatting away about some hair design or wardrobe choice. With his curiosity piqued, he strolled down the entryway and stepped into the living room. Marley Walters was perched in his leather lazy boy, her long chestnut brown hair tied back in a simple ponytail. She wore a pair of jean shorts with a yellow tank top and had her bare feet tucked beneath her legs.

“Hey!” She greeted him as he came into her view.

“Hey, Marley.” He nodded her way then crossed over to where Ainsley was stretched out on the sofa. “Hey, baby.”

“Heeey!” His girlfriend greeted him as she pushed herself up and tugged her red short sleeved tee down over her midriff. She gave him a sweet kiss to the lips then tugged him down beside her. “Where have you been?”

“I had a few errands to run.” He slipped his arm behind her shoulders and pulled her into his side. “How long have you two been here?”

“Hours upon hours!” Marley teased from her spot.

Alex chuckled and kissed his girlfriend’s head. “What’s Nick up to today?” Marley and Nick Carter had been a couple for almost a year now. They had met at a local radio station where the bubbly brunette did the advertising and Nick had been in doing a guest spot for a popular DJ. And upon meeting Ainsley, the two girls had become fast friends. In their down time, Alex and his group members didn’t usually hang out but that wasn’t stopping the women. Whenever Ainsley had time off, or Marley wasn’t involved in some radio promotion, they’d be together. Which consequently then brought the boyfriends together more. No one was complaining yet.

“He went to meet Aaron for lunch. I was invited along, but I don’t really care to get in the middle of another of their sibling arguments.”

The handsome pop star chuckled. “I don’t blame you.”

Ainsley giggled low and snuggled herself into her boyfriend’s side. “And we didn’t want to stay at my place because my roommate was driving us crazy!” She spoke of the rather eccentric, and anal, Justin Banterfield; an openly gay intern that she had met in medical school and become friends with. While the two weren’t extremely close, they had studied together and both started the program at Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles. That led to their getting an apartment together close to the hospital.

Alex laughed low. “What’s Justin doing now?”

“Rearranging the living room furniture…again.”

Marley nodded. “Yeah, he just changed it around like three days ago and now he insists on trying something new with it.”

“He should have gone into interior decorating.” Ainsley mused from her spot.

Her boyfriend just shook his head. “I told you that you could stay here whenever you needed to.” While he hadn’t asked her to move in with him yet, he had offered up his house for whatever she may need. Though after their love confessions two days ago, moving in together didn’t seem such a bad idea at the moment. It was definitely something he wanted to discuss with her when they were alone.

“I know, that’s why we came over here.” She kissed his cheek with a loud smack.

“We’re thinking about maybe swimming.”

“Ooh, swimming.” Alex lifted his brows. “The guys were out here cleaning the pool this morning too.”

“Ooh, even better!” Marley looked to her friend.

Ainsley chuckled. “Meh, that’d mean I’d have to get up and go change. I’m so comfortable.” She wiggled against her boyfriend’s side and pouted.

“Oh come on.” The other brunette rose to her feet. “You two can cuddle later, let’s go swim.”

“Alright, alright…” She slowly pushed herself up and looked to Alex. “Are you gonna join us?”

Alex shrugged some and smoothed his hand over one of her tanned legs. “Maybe in a little bit. I have some stuff to do first.”

“Oh?” She lifted a brow. “Like what?”

He stood as well, wiggling his brows down at her. “Like calling my manager and I have some emails to send.”

“Mmkay.” She slipped her arms around his waist. “Well be outside when you get done.”

“Oh, I know.” He smirked and kissed her mouth, one hand snaking down and squeezing her butt. “All wet and sexy in some skimpy bikini.”

Ainsley giggled low and pulled out of his grasp. “That’s right, so try to hurry.”

“Oh I will.” He gave a low grunt then chuckled and watched as she and her friend sashayed from the room. That woman was going to be the death of him; with her tight body and voracious sexual appetite. He was in his thirties now and wasn’t getting any younger. Their sex was life hot and though he wasn’t a young spry anymore, he wasn’t planning on changing a damn thing. Giving a visible shudder at that thought, he ran a hand over his face and headed towards his office. He wanted to hurry and get his things finished so he could join them. And then later, after Marley left, they’d have the whole house to themselves.

~*~*~*~*~

“Mmm, you’re insatiable.” Ainsley purred from Alex’s side, the following morning. Her hand smoothed lazily on his chest and her skin had that flushed and enticing look to it.

Her boyfriend gave a smirk and slipped both arms around her, hauling her body over his. He smoothed both hands down over her silky back, seeking out her naked rear. Upon finding it, he squeezed it firmly. “Mmm I know. But so are you.”

She giggled and pushed her long hair behind her shoulder, meeting his gaze. “Sometimes I can be.”

“Sometimes?” He arched a brow and leaned his head up, nibbling along her neck.

“Mmhmm.” She giggled again, wiggling atop him, knowing what kind of effect that had on him.

Alex gave a grunt and his grip on her butt tightened, his tongue laving over the pulse in her neck.

Ainsley shivered and smoothed a hand along his shoulder, squirming against him a little more.

“Damn woman,” he murmured against her skin. “You know what that does to me.”

“Oh, I know very well what that does to you,” she spoke with a grin. She enjoyed teasing him.

“Ooh, do ya?” Suddenly her back was pressing against the bed and he rose over her, cocking a brow and snaking a hand to her breast, rolling the nipple between his fingers. “Well I know a few things about you.”

The brunette giggled softly, shivering as his fingers continued to tease her breast. “Like what?”

“Hmm.” He cocked a brow then dipped his head and began placing soft, warm kisses to the velvety skin of her neck. “I know you like to have your neck kissed,” he murmured softly against it, flicking his tongue against her skin and smirking at the goosebumps that arose.

Ainsley gave a soft sound of content, smoothing a hand to the back of his head.

“And…” he slowly pulled back and looked her naked form over, “I know that it makes you crazy when I do this.” He smoothed his hand down along her thigh and drew it up some, seeking out that sensitive spot just behind her knee and tickling his fingers over it.

His girlfriend jerked and gave a laugh, squirming some in an attempt to pull her leg away. “Alex!”

He laughed and held her leg firmly in place, his fingers continuing to smooth in small circles in that spot. “What’s wrong, baby?”

“S…stop…” she stammered, squirming against him.

Alex chuckled and lowered her leg, his hand grazing up to her thigh. “Yes, ma’am.”

“Mm ma’am, I like that.”

He leaned over her once more and brushed his lips over hers. “And I like you.”

“Ooh, I like you too.” She wrapped her arms around his neck and drew his body back down to hers.

Alex gave a content sigh at the feel of her warmth against him. The way their bodies fit together was nearly perfect and he slipped his arms around her, holding her closer and rolling them to their sides.

“Mmm,” his girlfriend murmured as she held him close and chased kisses along his chest.

Alex couldn’t help the smile that formed on his face at that. He had no idea how he’d gotten so lucky or why a woman like Ainsley wanted to be with someone like him, but he wasn’t questioning it. This was just how it was and he couldn’t let negative thoughts start to seep in now.

The sound of his cell phone pulled him from his thoughts and the brunette in his arms gave a sigh.

“Damn,” he rolled to his back, pulling her gently across his chest and grabbed for the phone, lifting it to check the screen. His manager’s name flashed on it and he gently disentangled them. “It’s Jenn; I better take this.”

Ainsley pushed herself up and smoothed her long hair from her face. “Of course.”

Alex pushed the talk button and lifted the phone to his ear. “Talk to me.”

“AJ? Where are you?”

He blinked at that and glanced around at his surroundings. “I’m at home.” Had he not detected the slight annoyance in her voice he probably would have been a little more descriptive with his exact location. “What’s going on?”

“You’re at home? You do know that you have a conference call today with Jive, don’t you?”

Alex frowned and sat up next to his girlfriend. “Today? I thought that was tomorrow? Are you sure?”

“Oh yes, very sure. Everyone else is here and we’ve been waiting on you.”

“Shit, okay, I’ll be right there.” He tossed the covers back and scrambled from the bed. “Give me twenty minutes.”

“You have fifteen. See ya then.” And the call was severed.

Alex tossed his phone onto the bed and grabbed a clean pair of boxers. “I have to go. I’m sorry.” He glanced over towards Ainsley as he pulled the boxers on.

She gave a small laugh and hugged her knees to her chest, the blanket draped over her lap. “It’s okay. I hope you don’t get into trouble.”

“Nah, not much.” Now he was pulling on a shirt and soon his worn in jeans. “I’ll call you later, okay?”

“Sure thing.” She rested her chin atop her knees. “Drive carefully, okay?”

“Always.” He dropped a necklace chain over his head and let the skull pendant settle against his chest. Then he slipped on a couple rings and grabbed his wallet. Placing a quick kiss to her lips, he retrieved his phone from the bed and tugged his shoes on as he started from the room.

“Love you.” She called out to him as he scrambled down the hall towards the stairs.

“Love you more!” He yelled back then scurried down the stairs and plucked the keys to his Cayenne from the tray on the end table. There was no way he would make it across town in ten minutes; unless he wanted to risk his life. Before he’d met Ainsley, there’s no doubt he’d be driving like a bat out of hell, but something about her calmed him and he no longer felt the need to put his life on the line for anything other than her safety. If he was a few minutes late, then he was a few minutes late. Besides, it wasn’t like it would be the first time. Or the last.

~*~*~*~*~

It took Alex almost twenty minutes to get to the studio. It was nearly ten thirty when he parked and hauled ass for the entrance. The sun glinted off the double glass doors, causing him to squint and curse himself again for forgetting his shades. Just as he climbed the steps and reached for the handles, the door was pushed open and a figure rushed out, colliding smack into his chest and knocking them both backwards and down the stairs.

Alex landed on his back with a hard smack, the air in his lungs rushing out. His head fell back and smacked the concrete and pain suddenly filled his body.

“Ooh, I am so sorry,” A melodious female voice exclaimed from atop his chest where she had landed in their tumble down the steps. “Are you alright?”

The tattooed man gave a groan as he felt his head throbbing. Forcing his eyes open, he had to squint against the sun and found himself peering up into the beautiful face of Karis; the fountain dancer. No, it wasn’t possible; the sun had to be playing tricks with his eyes. Quickly, he closed them again and shook his head, immediately regretting it at the soreness he was already feeling.

“Yes, it’s really me, Sam I am.”

At that, Alex blinked his lids open again, finding her now peering into his face, merely inches away. Her blonde hair framed her face and shone like an angel’s halo in the sunlight. Those blue eyes pierced his soul and he felt what breath was left in his body, catch in his throat.

“Hello.” A grin tugged at the corner of her mouth and she tilted her head. “That was quite some tumble. Thank you for breaking my fall, you quite possibly saved my life.”

He wasn’t sure if he could find his voice yet, so instead he just gave a slight nod. The pain he had felt earlier was already melting away.

Karis slipped from over him and Alex felt a shock of tingles as she gently checked him over for any broken bones. “I don’t think you’ve broken anything.”

Carefully, he pushed himself up and bit back a wave of nauseas that threatened him.

“Whoa, you okay there?” She pressed a cool hand to his cheek and a flood of warmth washed through him.

“I…” his throat felt dry, almost as if he’d swallowed a handful of sawdust.

The blonde, with the soul captivating eyes, gently took hold of his arm. “Okay, let’s get you onto your feet; nice and easy.”

Slowly, Alex shifted and rose up onto his feet, Karis supporting him, maintaining her hold on his arm in case his legs happened to give way. His head felt thick and his mouth parched, a dull thud now occupied his head and his joints were already becoming stiff. If he hadn’t just taken a fall down a flight of stairs, he’d seriously think he was growing old. And tomorrow he was sure to be sore.

“You okay?” She moved one hand to his chest and smoothed out some wrinkles in his shirt.

“Hm, yeah,” he gave a nod and rolled his shoulders some, checking himself over, “just sore.”

“Well, that’s to be expected. I’m sorry for knocking you down the steps.”

He lifted his gaze to hers and found himself mesmerized once again by the power of her sapphire blues.

“You uh, it’s um…” he struggled to form a coherent thought. “It’s no problem.”

Karis reached and straightened his shirt. “Thank you for being understanding. A lot of people wouldn’t be.”

“Well,” a quirky grin curved over his lips, “I’m not like most people.”

“Neither am I.” Her eyes twinkled and her hand rested a moment longer than necessary on his chest before she drew it back. “Were you in a rush somewhere?”

“Yeah, I have this meeting wi-” Alex stopped, his eyes widening at the meeting completely slipping from his mind. “Shit, I have to go!” He started to pull away, but the blonde reached and caught his wrist in her hand.

“Wait, you can’t go into a meeting looking like that.”

“What’s wrong with how I look?” He glanced himself over, noting nothing indifferent about his clothing.

“For starters, you have a tear in the back of your shirt,” she fingered the hole that had been ripped in the tumble, “and there’s dirt and gravel all over back here, too.”

Alex tugged his shirt some and peered to the back, sighing as he took in the ripped and dirty fabric. “Damn.”

Karis pressed her lips together then took his hand. “Okay, c’mon.” She started to lead him back towards the parking lot.

“Wait, what? I have a meeting; I’m already late as is.”

“Just c’mon. You aren’t going to miss your meeting.”

Alex gave a sigh and fell in step with her, their hands still intertwined. The feel of her delicate hand in his was comforting for some unexplainable reason and he didn’t try to pull away.

The blonde led him across the parking lot to a deep green Jeep. She released his hand to take out a set of keys and unlock the door then she pushed the seat forward and pulled a thin, brown leather jacket from the back seat. “Here, wear this. Just leave it on and no one will even know about your shirt.” She thrust it into his arms then shifted the driver’s seat back into position.

Alex looked the jacket over, noting it was a men’s style and and seemed about his size. “Um…where did you get this?”

She shrugged and turned back to him. “Someone left it. Just wear it, okay? You’re already late as is.” She sent him a teasing grin as she quoted him from earlier.

He sighed and watched her, feeling his tummy fluttering some as their eyes met. “Okay, thank you,” he finally relented.

Karis patted his arm then turned him and gently nudged him towards the building. “Now go.”

Alex took a few steps then looked back to her. “How do I return this to you? I can’t keep it.”

“Oh, don’t worry,” she flashed him a dazzling smile, “I’ll get it back.”

He blinked some at that, watching her for a moment then turned and headed back towards the building, shrugging the jacket on and smoothing it some. A hundred questions were already racing through his mind; what she was doing there? How had they happened to run into each other again? Just who was she? Who the jacket belonged to? Why he was agreeing to wear it? However, at the moment, he didn’t have time to ponder them, he was really late and Jenn was going to have his head. Besides, he had a strange feeling he would be seeing Karis again very soon.

Chapter Three by summer
Author's Notes:
Felt bad for neglecting this fic and thought I'd work on it some. Thanks to those who have read and reviewed and I hope you'll continue to do so. Enjoy! :)

 

“Man, I seriously thought they were never gonna shut up,” Nick Carter exclaimed as he strolled out of the conference room with his bandmate after their never ending conference call did finally came to an end.

“I know right,” the older man agreed, pulling his pack of cigarettes from the pocket of his jeans.

“Probably wouldn’t have been so long had you not been late,” he glanced to Alex as they headed down the hall towards the lobby, “they did it on purpose to punish us.”

Alex sighed and fiddled with the pack of his cigarettes. “I know and I’m sorry. I seriously thought the meeting was tomorrow.”

“Next time, check your schedule.”

“Thanks for the advice.” He chuckled low and pulled a cigarette from the pack, stuffing it back into his pocket.

“We can schedule reminder calls for you.”

Alex chuckled again and flipped his friend off in a good natured manner. “I’ll be on time for the next one.”

“Maybe it’s your old age; you’re getting up there, my friend.”

“If I may remind you, you’re right behind me.”

“No need in that; I know how old I am.”

“Good.” Alex stuck the unlit cigarette between his lips and withdrew his lighter. “I’m gonna step outside and have a smoke, you heading out?”

Nick shook his head. “Not yet, there’s a few things I need to wrap up first.”

“Aight, I’ll catch ya later then.” He gave a nod towards his younger friend then headed for the double doors and pushed them open, exiting into the bright sunlight.

Once again, cursing that he’d forgotten his shades, he stepped to the side and lit up his cigarette. The pain in his head from his earlier fall had faded to a dull ache which the bright sunlight wasn’t helping and his elbow had grown stiff. The jacket had done its job though and no one had seen or suspected anything about the tear in his shirt. He was hoping he’d run into this Karis chick again so it could be returned.

Karis. The thought of her made his breath catch and he could feel the pulse in his neck throbbing. The effect she seemed to have on him was puzzling and he was afraid to think on it too much. Why even delve into that when he was happy and content with his life? Never mind that they’d had two separate encounters within a few days. Happenstance? Maybe. But Alex wasn’t going to go there; not today, not ever.

“Thinking about me?”

He nearly jumped a foot in the air at the sudden voice that cut through his thoughts. Glancing over, he felt his stomach bottom out at the sight of the beautiful blonde perched on the railing.

“Did I scare you?” Amusement glinted in her eyes and Alex had to force himself to take a breath.

“You could say that.”

She gave a low giggle. “I thought you saw me.”

“I was in my own little world.”

“Somewhere important?”

Alex took a slow drag of his cigarette. “Not really.”

“It looked like you were in deep thought. You didn’t even hear my approach.”

He tried to keep a cool demeanor despite his racing heart. “It was just work stuff, really.”

Karis gave a nod, a tiny smirk tugging at the corner of her mouth. “How’d the jacket work out?”

Alex flicked his cigarette ash, glancing to the brown leather jacket he still wore. “It was perfect; no one suspected a thing.”

“Told you.” She lifted a leg in a gesture towards him.

The grin wouldn’t stay away. “You’re so smart.”

“Mmhmm.” Her blue eyes danced. “So, are you done with your meetings?”

“I am.” He inhaled his cigarette, relishing in the feel of the smoke entering his lungs.

“Good.” She slipped from the railing and stood before him; the top of her head coming just under his nose.

Alex watched her, taking the last few drags of his cigarette before snubbing it out in the ashtray that encircled the nearby trashcan. “Why is that good?”

“Because meetings are boring.”

He had to chuckle. “That’s true.”

“And who wants to do boring stuff?” She reached out and caught his wrist in her hand. “C’mon.”

Alex blinked as she gently tugged him along towards the stairs. “Wh…where are we going?”

“Away from here.” She made it to the stairs then led him quickly down them.

“I…” He was speechless. Who was this girl and what exactly was going on here?

She continued through the parking lot toward her Jeep. “I… what?”

He shrugged, not sure what to say; his mind was clouding up already. “Do…um…what…where are we going?”

“Sometimes people think too much.” She reached her vehicle and unlocked it.

Alex chuckled low. “Are you kidnapping me?”

She gave a laugh that made his heart skip a beat and pulled the passenger door open. “If I have to.” Her eyes raked him over. “And I do have some very convincing ways.”

“Oh, I bet you do,” he muttered as he slipped into the Jeep, fully picking up on what she was implying.

“Mmhmm.” Karis shut the door then crossed to the other side and slipped in behind the wheel. She pulled a pair of shades from the console between the seats and slipped them on then started the vehicle and pulled from the parking spot. “I know you find me attractive.”

Alex blinked and looked at her, feeling his stomach pitch. “Um…say what?”

She gave a casual shrug and turned out onto the main road. “You find me attractive.”

His head was already reeling; had he given anything away that would make her think that? He hadn’t thought so. In fact, he’d been trying hard to show that he didn’t. Of course he did; how could he not? She was gorgeous and had a smile that could light up a room, not to mention her laugh sent goosebumps down his spine.

“Ooh, and he takes the silent route.” She chuckled low and ran a hand through her hair.

Alex gave a low laugh, rubbing his jaw. “I don’t even know you.”

“You have to know someone to think they’re attractive?”

“Well, no…”

“I think you’re pretty damn hot.”

“Well, that’s cuz I am.” He sent her a smirk.

“And cocky too.”

Alex chuckled. “I’m not cocky, I’m confident.”

“Cocky, confident, same diff.” She shrugged it off. “What do you think it means that we keep running into each other?”

“Is it supposed to mean something? Maybe just coincidence.”

Her sapphire eyes cut to him. “There are no such things as coincidences.”

“Oh really?” He shifted his body towards hers. “You don’t believe in coincidence?”

“Nope.” she took a corner, the air fluttering in through the open windows and blowing through her hair, causing the scent of her shampoo to fill his senses.

Alex had to force himself to take a breath again. “Why don’t you?”

Karis looked his way. “Because everything has a purpose, no matter how little or stupid it may seem.” She shrugged her slender shoulders. “Sometimes that reason isn’t known right away or even at all. But it’s there.”

“What makes you say that?”

“Because it’s true. If you think about it, everything that’s happened to you that you believe is a coincidence….something good has come from it, but it’s also exactly what you needed.” She turned to him as she slowed for a red light.

He watched her. “You have a very interesting outlook in things.”

She shrugged some. “When you discover the real meaning of the things that happen in your life, everything changes.”

“So what does it mean that we keep running into each other?” He brought the conversation back to her question.

“I don’t know, but there’s a reason for it. We just don’t know yet.” Her sparkling blues met his cocoa colored eyes. “We may never know.”

“But it’s not just chance?”

“Nope,” she shook her head, “there’s a reason there somewhere.”

“Hm.” He rubbed his jaw, not sure what to think of that.

Karis chuckled low then started through the intersection once the light changed to green. “How’s your head?”

Alex touched the back of it, feeling the tenderness in the spot he’d smacked it on the ground at. “A little sore, but not bad.”

“That was quite a tumble. I really appreciate you breaking my fall.”

He chuckled. “No problem, it was the least I could do; even though you barreled right into me.”

“Well,” she tilted her head, “I wanted to make sure you saw me.”

He chuckled again. “What were you doing there, anyway? Are you in the business?”

“Nope. My uncle works there; I was dropping off some stuff to him that my aunt had asked me to.”

“Oh.” He nodded some, wondering who her uncle was, but not wanting to seem nosy and grill her for information.

She cast her eyes his way, steering the Jeep off the freeway and onto a two lane highway that ran near the coast. “What were you doing there?”

Alex blinked. “Do you not know who I am?”

“Am I supposed to?”

Of course she wouldn’t; not everyone did. He didn’t know what he’d been thinking assuming she would. Nearly laughing at his stupidity, he cleared his throat. “I’m sorry, for some reason I had it in my head that you recognized me.”

She laughed lowly, keeping her eyes on the road ahead of them. “Who are you?”

“Um…I’m a Backstreet Boy.”

Karis peeked his way and giggled. “Seriously?”

“Seriously.” He chuckled some. “AJ McLean, but my friends call me Alex.”

“AJ McLean…so you were the wild one, huh?”

“You know our stuff?”

She chuckled and maneuvered the Jeep off the highway onto a smaller path. “Your older stuff. I’ve danced around my room singing Quit Playing Games way too many times.”

“Somehow, I can believe that.”

She giggled again and finally brought the Jeep to a stop.

“Where are we?” Alex glanced around, noting the overlook they were parked at that probably dropped off over a beach or the ocean itself.

Karis unbuckled and took the keys from the engine. “You ever been cliff diving?”

“Cliff diving? No.”

“Then c’mon.” She slipped from the jeep and tossed her shades back in through the open window.

Alex climbed out, glancing around. “Um, we don’t have any swim suits.”

“Do we need ‘em?” She laughed at the expression on his face and pulled her top up and off, revealing an ivory cami underneath. “We have underwear. They’re about the same coverage wise.”

“True.” He chuckled and began stripping from his shirt.

Soon they were both in their skivvies and Alex had to control himself not to let his mind wander. She looked gorgeous on her pale pink lace bra and matching panties and it took quite a bit of willpower to force his gaze away and think about anything other than the nearly naked woman next to him.

“Are you ready?” She questioned, breaking through his thoughts.

Alex peered out over the edge of the cliff. “Is this safe?”

“Yes,” she gave a laugh that filled his soul and touched his shoulder, “I’ve jumped from here before. Are you scared?”

His dark eyes met her sparkling ones and he couldn’t help but chuckle. “Maybe a little bit.”

“You scared of heights?”

“Not so much as breaking every bone in my body from some jagged rocks.”

She giggled, her hand smoothing over his upper back. “There aren’t any jagged rocks, I promise.”

“Alright, I’m trusting you.” He eyed her.

She flashed her pearly whites. “Let’s do this.” Then her hand slipped down and found his. “On the count of three.”

Alex wasn’t really sure if he wanted to do this; it was a long way down and the water looked rather dark and murky. Besides, he didn’t know this girl and how in the world had he let her talk him into standing in his boxer shorts on the edge of a cliff? He had to be out of his ever loving mind. Despite that though, there was something that was keeping him there.

“Okay, count of three,” he finally relented.

She grinned. “Okay….one….”

“Two,” Alex joined in, feeling his heart hammering against his ribcage.

“Three,” they chorused together before leaping off the side and sailing through the air into the warm water below.

It enveloped him, surrounding him as he was propelled into the depths of the ocean. He kicked his legs and pushed himself back upwards, breaking the surface and taking in a breath of air.

“Woo, what a rush!” Karis exclaimed from next to him, pushing her long, damp locks from her face.

Alex laughed and shook his head, sending droplets spraying in all directions. “That was sick!”

“I told you!” She giggled and bobbed some in the water, using her legs to keep her afloat.

“You were right!”

“I usually always am.”

He laughed again and kicked his own legs to keep him above the surface. “You ready to go again?”

“You want to?” There was a gleam in her eye.

“Hell yeah! Race you!” He started for the sliver of a shore.

“Ooh, you’re on!” And she was hot on his heels.

They spent the next hour climbing the rocky cliff side and then diving off into the dark waters below, one after another until finally they lay sprawled on the small shoreline, backs in the warm sand and faces pointed to the sun.

Alex couldn’t remember the last time he’d had fun and excitement quite like that; it’d been a long time since he’d let loose and done something crazy and it felt so damn good.

“What are you thinking?”

Her voice chimed from his left and he turned to meet her lively eyes. “That I can’t remember the last time I did something like this.”

“Why’s that?” She shifted to her side, propping her head up with her hand.

Alex gave a shrug. “I don’t know; haven’t had time, I guess.”

“Well then, you have to make time.” She pushed herself up into a sitting position. “You really can’t let life bog you down, because then you’ll wake up at eighty-five wondering where your life went and why you’re some boring, old man who sits on his front porch every day watching the grass grow.”

He chuckled. “That sounds very boring.”

She nodded in agreement. “You have to live a little and not be afraid of doing something out of the ordinary.”

“Now that,” he sat up as well, “is definitely something I’m not afraid of. Look at me,” he held out his tattooed covered arms, “there is nothing ordinary about me.”

She peered him over, a smirk tugging at the corner of her lips. “Hmm, okay, I’ll give you that one. But, are you like that still? Or are all those tattoos just stories of a past life?”

He frowned some and studied his arms then brought his dark eyes to her. “What do you mean?”

She shrugged. “Was that someone you used to be? You said you haven’t had any crazy moments in a long while.”

“Oh,” he watched her a moment, “I just think that I’m calming down and getting settled in a routine.”

Karis made a face. “Routine’s are so boring. It’s the same thing day in and day out, over and over and before you know it twenty years have gone by and you’re still doing the exact same thing. You gotta learn to enjoy life and never take a single moment for granted.” She nudged his arm and flashed a beautiful smile. “Live each moment like it’s your last.”

Alex watched her a moment, mulling her words over in his head. She was right and he used to be that way back in the day. But now he had relaxed and settled into a life with Ainsley and he was happy. But sometimes he still found himself with that itch to let loose and be wild. He never acted on it though because Ainsley was not the type to live spur of the moment or on the edge and she always had to have their trips planned out in detail. Which was okay for the handsome, tattooed man and he didn’t mind it when she would make itineraries or do research on the places they were going to be traveling to, he just went with the flow. But every now and then, taking a bit of a risk or jetting off on a last minute trip sounded nice.

“Are you okay?”

Her words pulled him from his thoughts again and he shook his head to clear his mind. “I’m good, just thinking about what you said.”

“I didn’t mean to turn this fun moment into an in-depth conversation.”

“Hey, I’m still having fun.” He nudged her in a friendly manner.

A brilliant smile lit her face and her eyes seemed to dance at him. “You want to do something really crazy?”

Alex chuckled low. “Depends on how crazy.”

“We could go get tattoos.”

He laughed. “That’s not crazy.”

“Well, I was going to suggest hopping a flight to Vegas, but then thought that might be just a little too wild for you. So I had to improvise.”

“Vegas is my favorite place, what makes you think it’d be too wild?”

Karis shrugged nonchalant. “You said you’re calming down and settling into a routine. Vegas is neither calm or routine.”

“Oh I know all about Vegas, baby.”

Her brow rose. “Care to prove that.”

He couldn’t help the smirk that was tugging at his lips. “I could.”

“I think you should.”

He ran a hand over his face, remembering his girlfriend and thinking this probably was not the best idea. “I’d have to pack and we need to change clothes.”

“Pfft, that’s not spur of the moment live a little. That’s plan it out and call ahead for reservations.”

Alex chuckled. “I just don’t think right now I can do something that spur of the moment. Remember, I haven’t done it in awhile so we have to start with baby steps.”

She laughed low. “Aww, chicken, but okay.” Then she popped up onto her feet. “I have just the thing; come on.” And she was heading for the sharp trail on the cliff that would take them back up to the top.

Soon the two were dressed again and driving along the coast with the wind blowing in through the windows of the jeep. As they rode along, Alex studied her; watching the way her hair blew free around her face and she didn’t seem to mind, the twinkling of her eyes that lit her entire face, the spot of freckles on her shoulder that he had the strongest urge to brush is lips over and her rich laughter that filled his soul. Karis was anything but ordinary, in fact she was like an enigma and he didn’t know what she was going to say or do next.

“What’s the one thing you want most in the world?” She glanced to him, pushing her long locks from her eyes.

He lifted his brows. “To be loved; isn’t that what everyone wants?” She shrugged and he noticed they were moving away from the coastline. “Where are we going?”

“You’ll see.” Her eyes danced again and she didn’t bother to disguise the mischievous little grin on her lips.

“What’s the one thing you want most in the world?”

“To never be forgotten.”

“I don’t see that ever happening. I think wherever you go, people take notice.”

She laughed. “I do have that kind of effect, don’t I?”

“You’re the kind of girl that makes friends with everyone, I imagine.”

“Friends are a lot better than enemies. You draw more bees with honey than vinegar.”

“My grandmother used to say that.”

“Your grandmother is a smart woman.”

“Was.”

She faltered and looked his way. “Was?”

Alex nodded some and turned his gaze out his window. “She passed away about nine years ago.”

“I’m so sorry.” She reached out and took his hand in hers. “You two were close?”

“Extremely.” He swallowed back the lump in his throat and focused on their interlocked hands. “It’s been years, but it still gets to me sometimes.”

“The loss of anyone you love or care for can be that way.”

“Have you ever lost anyone?” Karis looked to him again and he frowned at his forwardness and shook his head. “I’m sorry, that’s a very personal question and I have no right to ask it.”

She squeezed his hand then took hers back to help steer the Jeep along the narrow road they had turned on awhile back. “My grandfather passed away two years ago; lung cancer. He struggled with it for years and it finally got the best of him.”

“Gosh, I’m sorry.” He mentally kicked himself for questioning her and bringing all this turmoil up.

“It was hard, but he’s not hurting anymore, so that’s good, right?” Those blue eyes had lost their twinkle and he winced at being the cause.

“He’s in a better place; they both are.”

“Right.” She flashed a forced smile then slowed the Jeep and came to a stop. “We’re here.”

Alex’s dark eyes roamed their surroundings and he noted the farmhouse off in the distance, a barn in the foreground and what appeared to be a stable with a large pen just beside them.

“It’s a horse farm, c’mon.” And then she was taking her keys and climbing from the Jeep.

“We’re going to ride horses?” He questioned as he joined her outside of the vehicle.

“Do you have a problem with that? You ever rode one before?” She strode toward the stables and pushed the lock up on the door then heaved it open.

He pressed his lips together and glanced around for sight of anyone, but found the grounds empty. “Do you even know who owns this place?”

“It’s fine, we’ll have ‘em back before they even notice.” She waved him to follow then stepped past the threshold and into the stable.

Alex was right behind her. “We can’t steal these people’s horses.”

“It’s not stealing,” she smirked at him, “merely borrowing.”

He couldn’t believe they were doing this. “I don’t know, Karis.”

“Oh, come on, no one is going to notice we borrowed two little horses for an hour or so.” She put her hands on her hips. “Are you that much of a goody-goody or are you just chicken?”

He frowned. No one called him a goody-goody or a chicken and got away with it. “Where are the saddles?”

Chapter Four by summer
Author's Notes:
I should be working on Once In A Blue Moon or Shades of Gray, but this one was feeling neglected. Updates on the others soon! :)
Alex didn’t realize how badly he’d needed the day to let loose and just be until he and Karis were trotting the horses back toward the stable. Sitting there atop the chestnut colored mare, he felt like he could conquer the world. All the stress and worries that had been plaguing him were gone and replaced with a newfound feeling of fulfillment. His shoulders felt lighter and his back more relaxed and he realized he was looking at his surroundings with a different eye.

“Thank you.” He looked over to his companion who was atop her own cream colored horse.

She turned to him; pulling her hair over her shoulders and giving that grin that made him melt a little. “You’re welcome.”

Alex steered his horse around a tree branch. “I think sometimes people get so wrapped up in their daily life they forget to take time out for the small stuff.”

“Like cliff diving or horseback riding.”

“Exactly.” He nodded some. “How did you know I needed this?”

Karis pushed some low hanging tree branches from her way, ducking her head some. “I could see it in your eyes. They’d lost their twinkle.”

“Their twinkle?”

“Mmhmm, you know, that glint you get when you’re happy and enjoying life; not being weighed down by the drama or stress.”

He tilted his head, wondering how long this twinkle had been missing for. “Well, you certainly have the twinkle in yours.”

She chuckled. “I know, I make sure of it.”

“Did you ever lose your twinkle?”

She turned her mesmerizing eyes his way and he felt his heart skip a beat. “Once; and I made a pact to never let it happen again.”

“How do you do that? Not let life get you down and bury you?”

Her slender shoulders shrugged some. “Find a reason to live for.”

Alex nodded in understanding and the two fell into a comfortable silence; just letting the air rustling through the trees and the birds singing their song fill in around them. They trotted the horses along the path they’d come and cleared the trees, coming out into the pasture the stable sat in.

Once out in the open, Alex shifted his gaze for any sights of people or the police in case the missing horses were noticed, but it was still and just like they’d left it. “I don’t think anyone saw us.”

“Told you.” She smirked then slipped from her horse once they were back in front of the open stable doors. Alex joined her on the ground and together, they led the animals back inside to be de-saddled, brushed out and fed.

“Do you do this often?” He questioned once the horses were taken care of and back into their stalls.

Karis finished washing her hands at the large sink over in the corner. “Ride horses?”

He shrugged and tossed the paper towels he had dried his hands with. “Well, I was meaning more, steal horses.”

“I told you, we were just borrowing them. They’re safe and sound and back where they belong.”

“Do you borrow horses often?”

A shrug. “Only when I want to ride.” She moved up next to him. “You ready to go?”

He nodded and soon the two were back in the Jeep and on their way toward the highway. “How did you find that place?”

“I’ve known about it for years.” She looked his way. “Are you hungry?”

“I’m starving, actually.” His eyes glanced to the dashboard clock and stretched. “Shit, is it already after six?”

Karis chuckled. “That’s what the clock says. Burgers okay?”

Guilt immediately flooded through him at having forgotten about Ainsley most the afternoon. “Um…they sound great, but I can’t. I have to get back home.”

“Oh.” She nodded some and gave a shrug. “Too bad, but okay; I’ll take you back to the studio.”

He watched her for a moment and wet his bottom lip before speaking, “Raincheck on burgers?” He knew he shouldn’t, but he wanted to see her again. Besides, they weren’t doing anything wrong; just hanging out as friends.

She gave that heart melting grin. “You got yourself a deal.”

Alex grinned and settled back in the seat. “Great.”

The rest of the ride to the studio was in mutual and comfortable silence with a little bit of small talk mixed in. There was no pressure to talk about anything and it was nice not to have to rack his brain to think up a subject or what they could talk about next.

Finally, Karis pulled into the studio parking lot and he directed her to his Cayenne. She pulled alongside it and put the Jeep into park, letting the engine idle. “So, this has been fun.”

A small grin formed over his lips. “It really has been. Thank you.”

“Oh, it’s nothing.”

“No,” he reached out and touched her arm, “it is something. I really needed today.”

Her head was resting against the seat and she lifted it and turned her body to face his more. “Well, you’re welcome. I’m glad you had a good time.”

“I did.” He reached for his buckle and slipped it over his shoulder. “How ‘bout you give me your number and I’ll give you a call sometime.”

“Sure.”

She relayed it and he entered it into his phone then slipped it back into his pocket. “Okay, then um…I’ll give you a call soon.”

“Don’t wait too long.”

He chuckled. “I won’t.” Then he reached for the door handle and pushed the door open.

“Alex, wait.” She reached and caught his arm, drawing him closer and back into the vehicle.

“Yeah?” He wet his bottom lip, feeling his heart start to pound harder.

She smiled and brushed her fingers over his cheek then up through the hair at his temple. “I just wanted to say that the twinkle is back.”

A small grin tugged at his lips. “It is?”

She nodded and traced her fingertips down along his jaw line, tracing the beard there. “It is.”

Her breath tickled the skin of his neck and he found himself leaning closer, closing the small distance that was between them. “Good.”

“Yes,” she breathed out as her head tilted and their mouths met in a soft, barely there kiss.

It was so light, but Alex felt the shocks jolt him and his heart leapt up into his throat. One hand moved to the back of her neck and he drew her even closer, their mouths locked in a heated kiss. The floodgates had opened and he was surrounded with her scent, shivers racing down his spine. Her hand moved up into his hair and resulted in a throaty sound and he nipped at her lower lip then kissed her more intensely.

She returned the heated kisses with her own fervor and Alex felt his head start to swim. Pretty soon he wouldn’t know what way was up or down, nor would he even care. Her hands were roaming through his hair then over his shoulders to his chest and he felt his body responding.

Then suddenly as it started, it ended and Alex blinked his eyes open.

Karis was watching him, her cheeks flushed.

Shit. With a sigh, he sat back and ran a hand over his face. “That…that shouldn’t have happened.”

“Why not?” She reached for his arm. “It was just a kiss.”

He felt the guilt filling his chest and mentally kicked himself hard. “I…I have to go.” Then he was pulling away and slipping from the vehicle before she could protest. Quickly, he slipped his keys from his pocket and was inside his Cayenne in mere seconds. Glancing to the Jeep, he bit his bottom lip at the expression on the beautiful blonde’s face and kicked himself again for letting it get that far. What had he been thinking? Seriously.

Taking a breath, Alex started up his SUV and got himself buckled then put the vehicle in gear and backed from the spot. He glanced to the Jeep once more to see it still sitting there and his stomach rolled. What she must be thinking right now. That nearly brought him to a stop, but he pushed through it. He couldn’t go back and try to explain things; she’d think he was only back peddling. The best thing to do was just leave things like they were and get himself out of the situation. That meant going home, which is exactly where he was going; back to Ainsley, who never had to know about any of this. Ever.

~*~*~*~*~

“Baby, are you okay?” Ainsley questioned her boyfriend. This was the third day in a row he seemed a little off and she was beginning to think something was seriously wrong. Rather it be him, something with his career or them, she wanted to know. She’d come over after work to find him sitting in his living room in the dark; the curtains drawn, just staring ahead like he was lost in his own world.

Alex jerked and looked to her, snapping out of his daze. “Hey, I didn’t hear you come in.”

“That’s cuz you were on another planet, I think.” She sank down next to him and kissed his cheek. “Why are you sitting in the dark?”

He sighed and fiddled with his jeans. Moving past the kiss and trying to forget about it was harder to do than he’d thought it would be. Guilt was eating at him from the inside out and he wanted to tell Ainsley so badly that he’d had to bite his tongue a few times to keep it from coming out. It would only do harm and he didn’t want to hurt her or their relationship. She was the first girl he’d felt like he could be himself with and he didn’t want to lose her. Besides, it was just one kiss. It wouldn’t be happening again, so time to put it behind him.

But something wouldn’t let him; his conscience and the fact that she was so good to him and he had been a complete dog. Maybe he just needed to tell her and hope that she wouldn’t kill him. “Um…Ainsley…” he wet his bottom lip and turned his ever expressive eyes onto her.

“What is it, honey?” She tilted her head some, trying to remain calm, but the tone in his voice causing her stomach to knot up. Ainsley wasn’t blind; she knew something was going on, but Alex wasn’t the type to be poked or prodded into confessing anything, so whatever news he was withholding, he had to come forward with in his own time.

“Um…” shit, he was so nervous he felt like he might be sick, “there’s something that I need to tell you.”

“Okay.” She tucked a leg up under her and watched him, her hand gently smoothing along his arm.

He wet his bottom lip. “Um…well-” The sound of his girlfriend’s pager going off, interrupted him.

Ainsley frowned and pulled it from the hip of her lilac colored scrubs. “Bah, it’s the hospital.”

“Seriously? You just left there.”

“I know,” she made a cute little face, “it’s an emergency; probably something like an overturned bus or something. They need all the manpower they can get.”

Alex frowned some. He didn’t know if he’d ever get the courage back up to tell her what happened. “You have to go, huh?”

Her lips formed a thin line and she nodded. “I do. I’m sorry, baby.” She leaned and kissed his cheek. “I’ll come back over soon as they let me out. We can talk then, okay?”

Alex relented and she apologized again then kissed him and was out the door. He sank back into the couch with a heavy sigh and closed his eyes.

The chimes of his doorbell came just seconds later and he blinked his lids open and rose from his couch. Maybe she had changed her mind. They could just pretend she hadn’t heard her pager. With that thought in mind, he strode from the room to the front door and pulled it open.

Karis’ face greeted him on the other side.

Alex’s eyes stretched. “Um…Karis…”

“Hey,” she sent him a sheepish grin, “surprise!”

Surprise was right. “What…what are you doing here?” He poked his head out and glanced around at his yard then back to her. How had she found him?

“Well…I wanted to talk to you. You hadn’t called me yet and I don’t like waiting days on end…so my uncle gave me your address. I hope that’s okay.”

The look in her eyes made his insides melt and he shook his head. “No, it’s um…you’re fine. Come on in.” Then he moved back from the doorway and let her step past the threshold. “You’re talking about your uncle from the studio, right?” He questioned once she was inside and the door was shut securely behind her.

“He’s the only uncle I have.”

Alex chuckled. “Least you got that one.”

Karis watched him a moment then a beautiful smile lit up her face and he hated how it made his heart skip a beat. “So, how ya been?”

“Good, how ‘bout yourself?” He motioned her on to the living room then followed behind and took one end of the couch, Karis seating herself next to him.

“I’m good.” She tilted her head and studied him. “Are you okay?”

His eyes cut to her. “Yeah, why? Do I not look okay? What’s okay supposed to look like?”

She drew a shoulder up in a simple shrug. “You look a little stressed over something.”

He sighed and rubbed his forehead. “I just got a lot on my mind.”

“I see.” She was quiet a moment then gently nudged his side. “I wanted to tell you that I’m sorry for kissing you the other night.”

Alex looked to her. “You are?”

“Mmhmm, we were just having a fun, relaxing day and that kiss turned it into something else.”

“Oh, yeah.”

“Not that I don’t think you’re a great guy, but I’m just not looking for anything right now,” she explained, reaching and taking his hand in hers.

Well, that looked like the problem had taken care of itself. He didn’t need to worry about anything between them and Ainsley wouldn’t have to find out about his slight indiscretion. "You mean my delightful charm and dashing good looks haven’t won you over?”

She laughed and his heart gave a flutter. “If I was looking for something, most certainly, but I just want to enjoy life and have fun and not worry about the stresses or drama of a relationship.”

“That sounds very nice.” He had to agree there, but relationships had their positives too and most the time they outweighed the bad.

“It is.” She studied him a moment. “So, we’re good?”

“Of course.” He nodded and squeezed her hand then released it.

“Good. Then how ‘bout some lunch?” She rose to her feet and gently tugged him until he was standing next to her.

“Right, we have a raincheck, don’t we?”

“Sure do. Let’s go.” She herded him toward the foyer. “You need anything?”

“Just my keys and hat.” He quickly snatched them from the kitchen then rejoined her. “Anywhere specific you want to go?”

Her smile answered his question for him. “There’s the best little place out on A1A a little ways. You’ll love it.”

“Great, lead the way.” He pulled the door open then they filed out onto the porch. Soon they were in her Jeep and heading away from the smog of the city to the fresh breeze that the ocean was blowing their way.

Alex relaxed in the seat and closed his eyes behind his shades. He was relaxed and peaceful at the moment and couldn’t explain why the presence of the beautiful lady next to him made him feel that way. He opened his eyes and shifted his gaze to watch her and he couldn’t help the smile that moved over his lips.

She was beautiful with her long flowing blonde hair and the look of pure joy in her eyes. He’d never seen a woman who looked as comfortable and just happy to be as Karis did. And there was something inside of him that longed to know her secret. It was like she hadn’t a care in the world and Alex was slightly jealous of that. How many times he wished he could just forget about his long list of to do’s and just take of somewhere to forget about the world.

“You know,” he spoke up, breaking the comfortable silence that had fallen over the two. “Every time I’ve seen you, you’ve been so relaxed like you don’t have a single worry.”

Her stunning blue eyes locked on his chocolate ones. “I don’t. What is there to worry about?”

Alex tilted his head. “Lots of things; relationships with people, your job, your house, bills you may have, debt you may owe, your health, your friends and families.”

“And what would worrying about all that accomplish?”

He didn’t reply and Karis chuckled low. “Exactly. It doesn’t do anything but give you ulcers and keep you from sleep at night.” The light ahead turned red and she slowed to a stop. “So why waste your time agonizing over something that’s out of your control and instead, focus that energy on something useful, something that will make you happy.”

He mulled her words over slowly in his head. “How do you make yourself stop worrying?”

Karis pushed her blonde locks from her face, shifting sideways in the seat to watch him. “You have to just realize that wasting time worrying doesn’t get you anything but heartache. And you have to find that strength deep down inside of you and hold onto it.”

“I bet you were a priestess or something in your past life.”

Her laughter stirred something inside of him. “What makes you say that?”

He chuckled and tried to push aside the feeling. “Because you’re unbelievably wise in your young age.”

Karis settled back into her seat and accelerated through the now green light. “I’ve just learned how to live my life so I enjoy every minute.”

“Rough past?”

For the first time he saw something dark pass over her eyes, but she quickly blinked it away. “Let me just say I’m focusing on my future and there is no more worrying.”

Alex smiled at her response. It sounded good to him. He knew he hit a sore note with his comment about her past, and while it made him curious to know what she’d been through and what had made her change her way of thinking, he didn’t want to bring it up again and make that beautiful smile that was growing on him disappear.

~*~*~*~*~

“I had fun today.”

Alex smiled at her, removing his shades and hooking them onto the collar of his shirt. “Me too.”

“We’ll have to do it again.”

“What? Have lunch together again?”

“Of course.” Karis reached and nudged his arm. “You’re a fun guy to hang out with. I’m glad we’re doing so.”

“Me too.” He let his eyes rest on hers a bit longer than he probably should have. “I’ve had a lot of fun too actually.”

“Noooo,” her eyes danced with merriment as she teased him. “Even when I pressured you into stealing a horse?”

Alex laughed and gave her a gentle push so she leaned into the door of her jeep. “I would have feigned stupidity had we gotten caught. Told them I thought they were your horses.”

“Sure and let me take the blame.”

“Of course.” He winked at her then unbuckled his seat belt; hoping things didn’t suddenly become awkward with their goodbyes. He knew he couldn’t kiss her again.

“Alright, well, I’ll come get you next time I wanna do something wild and crazy.” She remained buckled and in her own seat and he relaxed a bit at that.

“So I’ll see you tomorrow then.”

Karis laughed at that and Alex realized he didn’t want to get out of the Jeep.

Her eyes danced at him. “You never know.” Then she winked and across him to push open his door. “Goodbye, Alex.”

Her face was just inches from his. He could smell the sweet scent of her perfume and it made his breath catch in his throat. Was she going to kiss him? His heart began to pound harder against his chest at that thought. He tried to speak, but nothing came out.

An amused grin tugged at the corner of her mouth and she let her lips brush every so lightly against his before slowly pulling back. “I’ll see you later.”

“Um…yeah…right,” he stumbled over his words then extracted himself from the vehicle. With one more stammered goodbye, he turned and made his escape up to his porch then finally inside.

What the hell was wrong with him? She looks at him and his heart ricochets around in his chest, she touches him and he goes completely stupid. These were not the reactions he should be having, especially not when he was so in love with his girlfriend.

Girlfriend, right. Speaking of Ainsley, maybe he could go pay her a little visit at the hospital. He certainly needed to get his mind off Karis and he could really use some reaffirmation with Ainsely and their relationship. He loved his girlfriend and he didn’t even know this Karis girl. So then why did she make him feel the way he did? And why did he want nothing more than to pull her into his arms?

Giving a groan at that thought, he pushed away from the door and headed for the stairs. He’d take a quick shower then head on to the hospital. He really needed to see his girlfriend.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10000