I Got You Part I by Ozbsbgirl
Summary: Brianna is a single mother living in Los Angeles. Her fiance died in a car crash, the day she found out she was pregnant. Her best friend has been there for her for everything and gives her a big break and also a new lease onlife.
Categories: Fanfiction > Music > Aaron Carter, Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Brian, Group, Howie, Nick, Other
Genres: Drama
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: I Got You
Chapters: 19 Completed: Yes Word count: 20098 Read: 34300 Published: 02/12/10 Updated: 02/12/10

1. Chapter 1 by Ozbsbgirl

2. Chapter 2 by Ozbsbgirl

3. Chapter 3 by Ozbsbgirl

4. Chapter 4 by Ozbsbgirl

5. Chapter 5 by Ozbsbgirl

6. Chapter 6 by Ozbsbgirl

7. Chapter 7 by Ozbsbgirl

8. Chapter 8 by Ozbsbgirl

9. Chapter 9 by Ozbsbgirl

10. Chapter 10 by Ozbsbgirl

11. Chapter 11 by Ozbsbgirl

12. Chapter 12 by Ozbsbgirl

13. Chapter 13 by Ozbsbgirl

14. Chapter 14 by Ozbsbgirl

15. Chapter 15 by Ozbsbgirl

16. Chapter 16 by Ozbsbgirl

17. Chapter 17 by Ozbsbgirl

18. Chapter 18 by Ozbsbgirl

19. Chapter 19/Final Chapter by Ozbsbgirl

Chapter 1 by Ozbsbgirl
She was out the front of their house, running around the yard with their adorable 3 year old child they so lovingly wanted when a car pulled up in front of their yard. Standing still she looked at the car, hoping it was him. Their child ran into her legs and stopped, looking up at her wondering what was going on. The driver got out of the car and went to the trunk which was opening up to collect what would be bags, the passenger getting out of the driver’s side back door.

Getting out of the car, he rushed a hand through his hair, fixing his clothes up from being in the seat and the seat belt on him, grabbed his jacket and smiled at her and their child. He collected his bags, a bag being put on his back, thanked the driver and smiled again. She smiled with relief. Their child squealed in delight. The three of them met each other at the beginning of the driveway. He knelt down and picked up their child, standing back up and put an arm around his wife. “Welcome home.” She said.
“It’s good to be home.” He replied as he hugged his family, giving his wife a kiss on the lips.

WHACK!

Brianna was curled up in bed, the doona around her when her son Mark came in jumping on the bed, a hand on her cheek.
“Hey you.” She laughed.
“Hey you.” He giggled back. Brianna sat up in the bed, cuddling Mark and giving him a tickle, she loved hearing him cackle when she tickled me.
“I’m hungry.” He said.
“Hungry are we? How hungry are we?” Brianna asked.
“VERY!” Mark replied.
“Could it be birthday boy hungry?” She asked.
“YEP!” He squealed.
“How old are you today?” She said wanting to see him show his 3 little fingers.
“Fwee” He replied.
“Oh boy! You are a big boy. Alright. Come on. Bathroom first then breakfast.” She told him.

As they got out of bed, Brianna could only but smile looking at her son run off to the bathroom. Three years old. She couldn’t believe she would get this far.

In the kitchen, Mark sat at the kitchen bench, his spoon ready for her cereal, mushed down with the milk poured own. “Want some toast? Mommy’s having some toast.” Brianna asked Mark.
“Yummy!” He grinned. As she put toast in for the two of them, the phone rang. It would only be Andrew’s parents ringing at this hour.
“You wanna answer it?” Brianna suggested. Mark quickly got out of his seat and raced to grab the phone that was on the kitchen bench. Brianna watched Mark on the phone talking to his Grandparents while she was making them toast. She thought to herself that Andrew should be here.

Andrew and Brianna met 5 years earlier through a mutual friend, Alexander “AJ” McLean from the famous band Backstreet Boys. Andrew was a close friend of Alex’s, Brianna a singer Alex befriended a year before when Alex went to a nightclub and saw Brianna perform. Andrew and Brianna first met at a Backstreet Boys concert backstage. The last 3 and a bit years, Brianna was on her own. Andrew died in a car accident, the day Brianna found out she was pregnant with Mark, Andrew not knowing. Alex stood by Brianna through everything in the pregnancy. Brianna had no friends as she was new in town, moving to Los Angeles to be with Andrew.

Brianna had only just moved to Los Angeles from Chicago just 2 weeks earlier when her world was shattered. She thought about moving back to Chicago but after some soul searching she convinced herself to stay in Los Angeles. She was an only child and her parents were only child’s themselves, both died when Brianna was 15, Brianna living in foster homes until she turned 18 and was to fend for herself. The only friends that Brianna could count on were Alex mainly but the rest of the Backstreet Boys family, which Brianna didn’t want to do as often.

When Mark was born, Alex and his girlfriend Karen were there with her as Mark Alexander was born. Fortunately, Brianna and Andrew discussed and agreed to that if Brianna were to fall pregnant, that their child’s middle name would be Alexander. Alex didn’t know this.

Earning an income to provide for Mark, Brianna went back to work as a nightclub singer a few nights a week and vocal lessons privately to people. Brianna didn’t have enough money to pay for a babysitter for Mark so in return of favour, she gave vocal lessons for free.
Chapter 2 by Ozbsbgirl
Once both Mark and Brianna were dressed, Mark opened some of his birthday presents Brianna had bought for him. One of them was a tricycle. This year, Mark’s birthday was on Father’s Day. As Brianna walked with Mark on his tricycle she was thinking was she doing the right thing. Taking Mark to the park where other kids would be with the families. As they arrived at the park, Mark raced on into the park, turning his tricycle sidewards as he had seen many kids do and went on the play equipment.

While she sat on the bench watching Mark, she went into a dreamland of Andrew which she often did. She couldn’t help herself but do it. While in this mood, her phone beeped. Startling her, she jumped and then grabbed her phone and had a look at who sent her the text message. Alex. She grinned.

“Hope you and Mark are enjoying today as much as possible, will be in touch later in day. A” His message read.

For lunch, Brianna treated Mark lunch to McDonalds for a happy meal and then let him play on the play equipment there again just watching him. She couldn’t do much for Mark in what most parents could but she was doing the best she could and Mark didn’t seem to mind. Mark didn’t have many friends just a few play mates at the park. Being Father’s Day she didn’t plan a party for his friends, it would be the following weekend.

When they got home, Mark was ready for a nap after the excitement. While Mark slept, she began to make a cake for his birthday with disastrous results so she made extra blue icing which Mark wanted, that she did successfully did and let it chill in the fridge and began to make the meatballs for their dinner to go with the spaghetti, Mark wanted for his birthday in barbeque sauce. Mark woke up just as Brianna was starting dinner. “He’ll be up all night now.” She thought to herself.

“When is Alex coming?” Mark wondered as they at began to eat in front of the TV, a birthday treat, watching cartoons, Bob The Builder. Mark adored Alex. He knew that Alex that wasn’t his Dad, although for a while Mark did call Alex Dad a few times when Mark first started to talk.
“I don’t know sweetheart. He will be here soon. Come on, have your dinner. Got birthday cake soon.” Brianna replied changing subject quickly. As if he had ESP, The buzzer went off.
“It’s Alex. It’s Alex.” Mark cheered getting up from his seat jumping up and down.
“Settle down.” Brianna laughed.

Alex walked in with boxes stacked up. “Alex.” Brianna groaned going off at him for all the presents.
“Hey, these all aren’t mine. Some of these are from the guys and Karen too.” Alex laughed as he stood in the lounge room. He placed them on the floor, shaking his arms to stop them from stiffening up, giving a hug to Brianna before kneeling down and giving Mark a birthday hug. The other Backstreet Boys, Howie Dorough, Brian Littrell and Nick Carter all adored Mark when Brianna and Mark spent time with them at the studio.

Brianna joined them on the floor, Mark tearing the paper and boxes open getting excited by each present. Paper was being thrown around the room, Alex helping Mark with the toys and things he got, Brianna smiling and marvelling at what he got. “Good thing he had a long nap.” Brianna joked as Mark was opening the last present. Or so she thought. “How long?” Alex asked.
“About 4 hours. I knew you would be over and that would cause him to be over excited so I just let him sleep.” Brianna replied.
“Well this last one may tire him out.” Alex commented as he stood up.
“What do you mean, this last one? Alex, what have you done?” Brianna asked.
“Hey, Mark, come with me alright. I got something downstairs.” Alex said his arms down and open wide for Mark to take so Alex could put him on his shoulders. Brianna followed behind.

In the lit courtyard with Japanese lanterns that lit the courtyard was a battery operated SUV. Black. “Now you can be like me.” Alex said to Mark.
“Alex, no, this is too much.” Brianna remarked to him, Mark already in the car and moving the steering wheel.
“Every kid has to have one of these. It has a charger and everything. It only goes a few miles so he won’t be that far away from you. These are so cool. Have you seen these babies drive?” Alex remarked.
“Mommy can I drive?” Mark asked, his little face looking up at Brianna.
“Yeah Mommy.” Alex mimicked kneeling down next to Mark. Brianna rolled her eyes and sighed, slightly smiling.

Mark actually fell asleep behind the wheel. Alex able to stop the car. Brianna picked up Mark while Alex put the car in the storage unit putting it under lock and key and followed them upstairs to the apartment.

Closing Mark’s door, Brianna leaned back against the door and sighed. “How are you?” He asked, waiting for her standing opposite the door, wanting to know how Brianna really was. “Don’t start.” She replied walking away from him, walking back into the living room to clear up the toys and paper from earlier.
“You can tell me. It would have been tough today, Father’s Day as well.” Alex remarked.
“I miss him like hell. He wanted to go down to the park today, I just managed to contain my emotions. Trying to be happy is damn hard.”Brianna sighed standing up with a whole pile of wrapping in her hand ready to put in the rubbish bag.
“I miss him like hell too.” Alex whispered putting a hand on her arm, the papers falling to the ground.
Chapter 3 by Ozbsbgirl
Next morning, things went on as normal. Monday morning. Heather was coming around lunchtime for her vocal lesson before she started looking after Mark around 2.30pm when Brianna went off to the club to rehearse for the nights show. Heather was wanting to get into the music business as well but as a songwriter. Using her own vocals would help a long way. Brianna made a deal with her that she would use her songs that Heather wrote. When Heather arrived, she was excited for this song she wrote. “I wrote this yesterday.” She told Brianna. Brianna let Heather take the piano, which she knew on how to play and listened to it.

It seems like only yesterday you were here
Here with your arms around me.
Your touch, your smell
I can still sense.
You are still my world, my everything.
I see your eyes looking at me.
I feel you are here with me.
Baby why did you have to go?

We finished each other sentences.
We were in sync with each other.
We were destined to be together.
You and I together forever.
It’s true.

But now your gone
I only have your memories.
I can only cry.
I can only cry.
The fun we had, the laughter we gave each other.
How do I go on in this world
Without you.
I love you so much.

I look at my life and where it will lead
But I see no leads
Because you aren’t here with me.
My life was for you.
I lived for you.

We finished each other sentences.
We were in sync with each other.
We were destined to be together.
You and I together forever.
It’s true.

The things we did
The things we planned
We lived
We loved
We dreamed
We had it baby
But now you aren’t here with me
And now I’m all alone.

Baby come and give me a sign
A sign that you haven’t left me
A sign you will always be here for me
A sign you will always love me for me

We were in sync with each other.
We were destined to be together.
You and I together forever.
It’s true.
I love you baby.

Brianna could do nothing but cry. The tears just flowed. “That is beautiful.” Brianna managed to say.
“I knew what yesterday was and thought of you.” Heather told her.
“Thankyou.” Brianna replied giving her a hug.

While Brianna was giving Heather her singing lesson, Mark was in his room playing with his toys that he got for his birthday. Heather’s voice was almost angelic and when wanted to, could be a rocker in an instant. Heather’s birthday was coming up soon and was going to give her a surprise.

At The Grape that afternoon, Brianna rehearsed her set with the band she had. The band was very accommodating to her and with her life on how Mark came first. At a very last resort, Mark came into rehearsals with Brianna. Mark was always a well behaved boy so she never had any problems with him.

“Ah, Brianna, I think we need to talk about tonight’s show.” Glen her drummer said as rehearsals was going to start.
“What’s wrong?” Brianna asked.
“Check the set list.” Barry her male backup singer replied. Brianna grabbed the set list and saw that her and Andrew’s song, was on the list, Faith Hill’s “Let’s Make Love.”
“Still wanna do it?” Glen asked.
“Yeah course I do.” Brianna replied as if it were a stupid question. She had sung the song many times. She was going to have a hard time singing it, she just didn’t want to let the band know.
“You want to rehearse it now?” Kenny the guitarist asked.
“Why not? Come on!” Brianna replied sounding cheering, deep down, crying inside.

The night was great. She sang some great songs, had 2 encores, the crowd at her feet. One noticeable person in the crowd, Alex. Not to let anyone know, she made no connection with Alex unlike she did with the crowd. She made connection with the crowd. Alex always stood further away and in a corner.

After the show, she helped the band pack their gear up and sign stuff off for management when Alex appeared. “Great set tonight.” He commented as they hugged.
“Thanks. Don’t know what it was tonight.” Brianna replied.
“Whatever it was, it was excellent. I gotta get the fellas here one night. Might have to drag one by one. We all can’t do it on one night. If Nick isn’t busy with Lauren, he’s got some appearance, same with the others.” Alex replied.
“How come your free then?” Brianna laughed.
“Well Karen’s at her Mom’s. Her parents wedding anniversary and I was like bored as. I called Mom. Caught up with a few friends and now just god damn bored.” Alex replied ending in a laugh as they walked out the exit of the club to Brianna’s car.
“Ugh, still rocky is it?” Brianna asked as she put her bag in the car.
“Yup. They still think every singer is a hobby and they need a real job. They even thought that Elvis was singing as a hobby.” Alex cracked up laughing.
“Oh boy! I know what you’d say to that.” Brianna laughed.
“Yup. Know me to well.” Alex replied as he leaned against her car.
“Ok, ok, come out with it. I know you wanna say something.” Brianna spoke a few minutes of laughter had faded away.
“This album, you are on it.” Alex said.
“Oh am I?” Brianna asked.
“Oh yeah. Your in the studio next week.” Alex replied simply.
“WHAT!” Brianna freaked out.
“Well that’s if you wanna be. We wanna do some rappin kinda stuff and I know how much you love to rap so, you wanna?” Alex asked.
“Yep for sure.” Brianna replied.
“Oh, better get your passports checked and start packing.” He commented.
“Sorry?” Brianna said.
“For some of this album we’ll mostly be away from home and then you have the tour.” Alex replied matter of factly.
“Alex, you can’t do this to me. I have Mark and.....” Brianna began to ramble on before he stopped her.
“Relax, he’s coming too. Heather can if you want her to come and all. We could arrange something.” Alex cut in. Brianna was lost for words. Too much to take in. “Relax, next week I’ll pick you up and we’ll go through everything.” He laughed, standing in front of her, his hands on her shoulder, smiling at her.
“Next week?” Brianna asked.
“One step at a time. It will be great.” Alex replied, leaning forward and giving her a kiss on the cheek and walking away.

Brianna walked inside her apartment about half an hour later dazed with the news that he gave her. Europe. A Backstreet Boys album. Tour. This was just too much for her. Walking inside she saw that Mark was lying on the sofa in only his pyjama pants next to Heather.
“What’s wrong?” Brianna asked worried sitting next to him, picking him up.
“He’s ok now. Just a little fever but we have it under control now. He’s almost asleep.” Heather replied, Brianna cradling Mark in her arms. She got up and put him in his bed.
“Why didn’t you call me?” Brianna whispered as they stood next to Mark’s bed.
“I didn’t want to bother you at work and I had it under control.” Heather replied as they walked out of the bedroom.
“Heather, you know me.” Brianna whined.
“Reason why I didn’t call you. If things were bad I would have.” Heather replied as she began to put on her jacket.
“Stay for a few minutes, I need to talk to you.” Brianna said.
“What is it?” Heather asked removing her jacket and sitting on the sofa opposite Brianna.

“After work tonight, Alex saw me. We got talking after the show and he gave me a proposition and it includes you.” Brianna began to explain.
“Me? Alex mentioned me?” Heather asked surprised.
“Yeah, but we might have to work something out.” Brianna replied subdued.
“What you mean?” Heather asked.
“Alex wants me to be on the guys next album. Rapping and stuff. Thing is....they want me in Europe for when we record it. Alex mentioned you for if you wanna come and all. Mark will be coming. Alex was thinking being first time spending time with the kids he might be apprehensive and all that. I didn’t have the heart to tell Alex about a few years ago.” Brianna explained.

Five years ago, Heather was involved in an international drug cover up which she was framed for and she was banned from flying overseas for 10 years, despite her charges being dropped and which was being dealt with in the courts at the moment.

“You go for it! I am so happy for you. This is your big break!” Heather exclaimed excited, giving Brianna a hug.
“But what about....?” Brianna began to say.
“Bri, we knew one day this would happen. I’m fine with it. It’s really fine.” Heather replied, Brianna knowing she was lying.
“Heath, you know we are a team.” Brianna said.
“But this is your chance. This is your chance at taking on the world. Your dream. I wouldn’t want you to give up on it because of me.” Heather told her.
“Lemme see what I can do. I’ll talk to Alex on the side.
“Don’t make a big deal of it.” Heather assured her. Heather got up and put her jacket on and began to walk out the door.
“We’ll see.” Brianna sighed as the hugged and she watched Heather go down the stairs.

Next morning Brianna thought more about the situation on what she could do. Brianna had given Heather the day off work as Heather had some things to attend to. She played with Mark during the day and was about to get ready to take Mark into work when Alex and Karen appeared on her door step.

“Can we borrow Mark?” Karen asked.
“You wanna borrow my son?” Brianna laughed.
“Yeah, see we wanna see a movie, kid movie of course and one adult gets in free if a child comes and their tix are like half price.” Alex explained.
“You want to borrow Mark for cheap movie tickets! Alex! You of all people.” Brianna laughed as they followed her in.
“Ok, fess up. We know Heather has the day off and you gotta work tonight so we’ll look after him. Spend the night with us.” Alex told Brianna.
“Karen, you know you will be with 2 kids don’t you?” Brianna asked Karen.
“If I can handle Alex on his own, Mark will be easy.” Karen laughed.
“Gee thanks!” Alex remarked.
“Anytime.” Karen replied as she kissed him on his neck.
“Mark, you want to spend time with Uncle Alex and Karen?” Brianna called out to Mark who was in his room.
“Yay!” Mark cheered running out of his room.
Chapter 4 by Ozbsbgirl
On the weekend, Mark had his 3rd birthday party with his few friends he had. Karen making an appearance as Alex didn’t want the occasion marked by paparazzi causing trouble at his birthday party. Heather was on hand to help out with the party that was at the local kids fun centre where the kids could run around and play on things.

As the final child left, Karen took the presents out to the car while Brianna carried a tired out Mark who was falling asleep on her hip. Settling Mark in the car seat, Brianna sat in the front next to Karen.

“Something’s wrong isn’t it?” Karen asked.
“What makes you say that?” Brianna replied.
“You and Heather were sort of distant and weren’t really making contact with each other. What is it?” Karen said.
“We were just busy with the kids. It’s all good.” Brianna lied.
“Yeah right. Ya giving me the look when you were having contractions. Spill.” Karen said.
“It’s about Heather, we’re fine honestly. Nothing is wrong with us.” Brianna replied.
“But...” Karen added.
“But, I gotta talk to Alex about it.” Brianna replied as Karen pulled outside Brianna’s place.
“Talk to him now about it.” Karen said, pointing out front to show Alex’s car. Karen got Mark out of the car and took Brianna’s keys to her apartment and put him down for a nap.

“Talk woman.” Alex said as they leaned against his car.
“Not here ok. We’ll go inside.” Brianna replied as she began to walk ahead of Alex.
Inside the apartment they all sat on around the kitchen table with drinks. “It’s the offer.” Brianna spoke up. She explained the situation with Alex about Heather.
“But the situation could change any time can’t it?” Alex asked her.
“It’s been pending for about 2 years now...Heather can travel anywhere here in the US no worries, just can’t go overseas. She has an idea though...” Brianna answered.
“Such as...” Alex asked curious.
“In case she can’t come over she was thinking about having the kids having some kind of play date to get to know each other. We know how Leigh and Leighanne are busy with everything and all...” Brianna began to say before Alex cut in.
“Play date...why didn’t I think of that?” He questioned himself.
“Haha yeah Alex, good one.” Brianna laughed.
“No seriously it is a great idea. I’ll get the girls thoughts on it. Then hoping all going well, IF Heather can’t make it, when you are working with us, Mark can be with the kids and all.” Alex said.
“Right on. Heather feels bad and all. She didn’t want me to tell you, wanted me to make up some excuse but I felt as though you needed to know the truth.” Brianna replied.
“Won’t go any further than here. Karen may have heard this but she won’t say anything. You know our lives. Like the Vegas saying.” Alex replied making a joke.
“Thanks.” Brianna smiled as he hugged her.

Monday morning she picked up Alex at his place, Karen was at work already. Alex’s car was at the mechanics getting services and was driving Alex around for the day. As they got through security, Alex’s phone rang and he answered it. Karen. Finding a car park, Brianna glanced at Nick who was sitting towards the bottom of the stair case on the phone and not in a good mood. Brianna and Alex got out of the car but Alex remained giving her the ok to go to the stairs where Nick was and enter there.

“That doesn’t sound too good.” Brianna remarked to Howie who was just walking in ahead of her.
“Yeah, word of warning, be careful of being around Nick today. I’m just about to warn everyone. AJ will know when he walks in.” Howie said who waited for Brianna to catch up.
“Thanks for the warning.” Brianna replied as she followed Howie to the meeting room. Brian was already there, writing already humming away.
“Hey B.” Brian said, getting out of his chair to greet Brianna with a hug.
“Hey, how are you?” Brianna replied.
“Going good. Writing down some stuff for a song. I’ve been buzzing since like 1am this morning. Drove Leigh crazy.” Brian laughed.
“Once you get Brian into a writing frenzy, you can’t stop him. He almost didn’t come on stage one night because he was writing right to the very second.” Alex piped up walking in the room.
“I can’t help it, you know me.” Brian joked.
“Glad you didn’t do it when you got married.” Howie laughed as they all sat down.
“Leighanne would have understood.” Brian answered.
“Yeah true.” Alex added.
“So we going to wait for Nick or what?” Howie asked.
“How things going out there?” Brian asked Alex turning to face him.
“Well let’s just say that if Nick is spaced out for a while, you know why.” Alex sighed leaning back.
“Still same problems?” Howie guessed.
“The one of her going behind his back, yup.” Alex sighed.
“Just to let you in so we aren’t confusing you, for a while Nick and Lauren have been rocky. She’s cheating on him, he wants her to admit it but she won’t. Howie actually caught her out. Lauren is trying to convince Nick that Howie is wrong and trying to make Nick believe her more than Howie.” Brian explained to Brianna.
“Naturally Nick is believing Howie.” Alex added. At that moment, they all could hear Nick walking down the hallway.
“Do me a favour, throw away this phone from me. I don’t want it.” Nick said to Brian throwing Brian the phone.
“Nick, if she is still denying it, then end it. She isn’t worth it. If she can’t tell you the truth...” Brian told him.
“Oh I told her. I told her alright. I’ve ordered her to get her things outta my place by tonight otherwise everything will be burnt. It’s over. I’m single again.” Nick snapped sitting down next to Brianna.

For the morning they spent the morning going over ideas for the album, what they wanted to achieve, who they wanted to work with, listening to the expectations of management and going through other details that needed to be dealt with.

Finishing at the studio around 6pm, Brianna drove Alex home.
“He likes ya.” Alex said.
“Who?” Brianna asked unsure who he was talking about.
“Nick of course.” Alex replied.
“Nick? But he hardly knows me and all. What have you said about me to him?” Brianna asked worried.
“Bri, he knows about you. He’s secretly been to a few gigs of yours. When you are around him, he has to remind himself he is, well was according to him, with Lauren. He thinks Mark is fantastic.” Alex informed her.
“But, but, but...” Were the only words coming out from Brianna.
“Just chill ok....things may happen.” He replied as Brianna pulled up outside the mechanics place.
“Gee thanks!” Brianna laughed sarcastically, Alex getting out of the car.
“I’m serious here. Just chill.” He replied shutting the door.
Chapter 5 by Ozbsbgirl
It had been 2 weeks since that day. Work was starting in progression for recording and the guys were rehearsing after rehearsing over songs and making suggestions and changing things. Brianna didn’t go in everyday as she wasn’t needed. She tried to get her head around the fact that Nick liked her.

Late that night when they were needing to record a demo of a song that Brianna would be on, Nick and her were alone. Brian and Leighanne had a function on that night and Brian was guest speaker. Howie was home with Leigh and James who were both sick and Alex was out with Karen at a movie premiere Alex was to attend.

With Nick and Brianna at the control deck listening to the song they started, sitting next to each other, they were making notes of what they thought could change. Brianna leaned back as far as she could and wrote without looking what she was writing or where she was writing. When Nick realised what Brianna was doing he laughed.

“What?” She laughed back.
“You. Ya writing without looking where you are writing and all. What gives?” Nick explained.
“I’ve always done this. It started ages ago that I forgot when it did.” Brianna replied.
“I’ve just never seen anyone do it. Pretty far out.” Nick said.
“Well that’s me. Far out.” Brianna joked.
“Sure are. Come on, let’s get outta here.” Nick suggested putting down his paper and switching the control deck off. Getting up he put his hands towards Brianna to hold onto to get out of the chair.
“Where we going?” Brianna asked as she got out of the chair.
“Wherever you wanna go.” Nick replied bringing Brianna closer to him, his arms around her. Brianna just froze for a few minutes.
“I know, come on. It ain’t far from here.” Nick added a few minutes later, holding her hand.

They went to a little Japanese restaurant around the corner for a late dinner. The staff knew Nick and showed him to the table where he normally sat and gave them menus. “This place like rocks. I may as well own this place. I am here all the time and all.” Nick joked commenting as they were waiting for their sushi.
“Why don’t you?” Brianna said.
“Yeah right. Me own a restaurant.” He laughed.
“I’m serious. If you keep coming back here, you have faith and trust these people. Not meaning to title you and all, but celebrities are buying restaurants and all. If you want to do it, do it.” Brianna replied.
“You really think so?” He asked.
“I do. I really do.” She smiled.
“Hmmm.” He smirked thinking. While they were eating their dinner, Nick and Brianna were talking about the plans for the album, and then they he ended up talking about Mark.
“He’s such a cute kid.” He remarked.
“Yeah he is. Real good.” Brianna replied.
“You should be proud of what you are doing. AJ’s always talking about him.” Nick said.
“Yeah, he does have a soft spot. Mark looks up to Alex.” Brianna replied.
“Now, that can be a good thing and a bad thing at the same time.” He joked.
“I know.” Brianna laughed.

When they walked out of the restaurant, it all of a sudden got cool. Brianna rubbed her arms to warm herself up. “Here.” He said offering his jacket, opening it up for her.
“Thanks.” She replied wrapping it up around her.
“Say I was wondering, this weekend, you and Mark wanna come down the beach with me?” Nick asked as they walked back to the studio to their cars.
“Yeah ok sure. That’ll be nice. He hasn’t been down to the beach in a while.” Brianna replied.
“Cool. Well, I’ll guess I’ll see you tomorrow.” Nick said when they arrived at their cars.
Chapter 6 by Ozbsbgirl
Because Brianna was going to be doing some rapping with Nick, they were working together a lot more. Brianna was trying to maintain her work life and her life as a mother. Heather had to take time off for her family so Brianna was single handily doing everything. Her gig at the club was accommodating, it was just her commitment at the studio with the guys that was the trouble. Karen helped out a few times when she wasn’t working. There were times where Brianna had to bring Mark into the studio but he was well behaved.

One night, Nick and Brianna needed to work more on rehearsing for a song they were basically doing a duet with Alex, Brian and Howie as backup vocals and needed to work on it. With more appearances of Brian, Howie and Alex, Nick and Brianna were left to work more on the album. Mark was starting to get restless in the studio so Nick suggested they go back to Brianna’s.

Sitting on the couch, Brianna crossed legged, hair tied back roughly, Nick sat side on, legs crossed with the lyrics in front of them, they went through the lyrics.
“You are too damn good. You seriously are.” Nick grinned at her.
“Thanks. I have to say that in the studio and all, you are fantastic even more. It’s hard to say.” Brianna replied blushing, turning her head away from Nick.
“Haha, it’s all good. I know what you mean. I have to say, I sound better when in the studio and all. I sound fine on stage and all but its the studio.” Nick replied.
“Away from all the critics and stuff?” Brianna asked, getting up to go to the kitchen.
“Yeah sorta. After all these years, I’m used to it but there are always new ones every day. Even though there is pressure in the studio, it’s less. You know?” Nick replied following her.
“Yeah, even though I am on a smaller scale than you, I feel it too.” Brianna added.
“You really are fantastic.” Nick murmured, moving closer to her, a hand brushing her hair away from her face that had fallen. Brianna tried to say something but she was speechless. Nick moved towards closer to her lips, lifting her chin up with a finger and kissed her. The more they kissed, they put their arms around each other.
“Mommy.” Brianna heard Mark. Nick and Brianna parted, Nick grinning.
“Back in a sec.” Brianna told Nick and went to Mark’s room.

“What’s up sweetie?” Brianna asked as she sat next to him on the bed.
“Had a bad dream.” He sweetly replied rubbing his eyes.
“Aww baby, it’s alright. It’s ok. Come on, get outta bed.” Brianna replied kissing him on his forehead.
“Hey champ.” Nick said who was finishing making the coffee when Brianna walked out with Mark holding her hand.
“Hi.” Mark quietly replied.
“We just had a bad dream didn’t we?” Brianna said, sitting back on the sofa, Mark cuddling up to her.
“That’s no good. We can’t have that can we?” Nick said to Mark, scruffing his hair, smiling at Mark.
“Wanna hear Mommy and Nick sing the new song?” Brianna asked him.
“K.” Mark replied.

Within a few minutes Mark was asleep. “I should get going.” Nick commented when Brianna came back into the living room.
“Stay, stay the night.” Brianna suggested.
“Nah, it’s cool. I got some work stuff to do in the morning at home, phone conferences and stuff. Thanks anyway.” Nick replied as they walked to the door.
“See you tomorrow.” Brianna whispered.
“See you tomorrow.” Nick added giving her a kiss on the lips and left.

Brianna spent the rest of the night awake, thinking about what just happened. Was Nick just flirting with her? Was this his way of letting her know he likes her and wants to continue this? Was he wanting a relationship? Was Nick wanting to have her as a rebound from Lauren? The only thing Brianna knew, was that she couldn’t tell Alex. Brianna decided at 6am that she would see how Nick would be when at the studio with the guys and take it from there. She didn’t know Nick well enough to do anything.

With an hours sleep, Brianna got up and attended to Mark’s breakfast. She wanted Mark to watch some DVD’s while she cleaned the apartment before going into the studio for a couple of hours and then onto the club.

Arriving at the studio Brianna carried Mark so he wouldn’t run away. A backpack for him and a backpack for her she walked in. Alex was in the hallway. “Uncle Alex!” Mark squealed.
“Hey there kiddo. Come to see me at work hey?” Alex remarked as he knelt down to Mark’s level who was now running to him.
“Yup.” Mark smiled.
“Cool. I will take you somewhere you will love. Your Mom may not like it but you will and that’s all that matters.” Alex said.
“Yay!” Mark cheered.
“Everyone here?” Brianna asked as she walked in the recording studio with Alex, Alex holding onto Mark’s hand.
“Everyone but Nick. Got held up with one of his conference calls. Well that’s what he says anyway.” Howie replied laughing.
“I am here now.” Nick called out walking in. Brianna froze for a second. Mark was seated down on the big couch, Alex playing with him. Howie and Brian were at the control deck.
“Like about time! Come on.” Brian added.
“You be a good boy alright. You be quiet. Know when Mommy is at the club?” Brianna told Mark.
“Ok.” Mark replied as he got his crayons out and began drawing on the paper they brought.
“He’ll be fine.” Robert one of the producers assured her.

In the recording booth, they all got in their positions, Brianna facing opposite Nick for when they were doing their rap duet. He gave her the wink, he always gave and gave an extra big smile before they were on the countdown to record.

After a lengthy break they all walked out of the booth for a break, Nick pulling Brianna back from everyone walking out. Wanting to hold her hand. “Nick.” She said quietly turning her head away from him.
“It’s alright. It’s ok. I’m ready if you are.” He replied, turning her head to look up at him.
“But what about...” She began to say.
“Being too soon? What AJ will think? The guys?” He asked.
“All of the above.” Brianna replied.
“They know I’ve been out of love for a while, even when I was with her. AJ I think will be stoked actually.” Nick replied ending in a chuckle.
“You know there isn’t just me. It’s Mark. We’re a team.” She warned him.
“I know. If you want to hold things off...I don’t know what you will say to Mark....” Nick began to say.
“I’ll just say you are a special friend. He doesn’t need to know any more than that. Anyway, he’s 3.” Brianna replied.
“Ok.” Nick said pecking her on the lips. They then walked out, hand in hand, Brianna close by Nick.

“WHA???” Brian asked when they walked out, looking up from the couch who was playing with Mark.
“Since when?” Alex asked.
“Um, since last night I think it was.” Nick replied looking at Brianna.
“Yeah it was or was it this morning?” Brianna replied.
“What???” Howie asked.
“NO! Nothing like that. No way man. We were working on the song til god knows how long. I even went home.” Nick cut in.
“So are you?” Brian asked.
“Yeah, I guess you could say we are.” Nick replied, giving Brianna a squeeze.
“Just the close ones know. No one else.” Brianna warned them.
“All the girls will be so heartbroken again now.” Howie laughed.
“Yeah, Nick, you’ve done it again.” Alex laughed.
“What can I say?” Nick shrugged.
“If you do anything man...I swear....” Alex told him giving him an evil eye.
“Chill man, it’s all good.” Nick replied.

“Hey Mark, come here, Uncle Alex has a surprise. Wanna see?” Alex asked Mark.
“YES!” Mark cheered. Alex picked Mark up, put him on Alex’s shoulders and out they walked of the recording studio, everyone following behind. The instruments.
“Wanna play Nicky’s drums?” Alex asked.
“AJ you feeling alright? Mark play on Nick’s drums? You wouldn’t even let Baylee on them and he LOVES the drums.” Brian asked.
“I changed my mind.” Alex replied as he sat Mark up at the drum set, handing Mark the drum sticks.
“Be careful honey.” Brianna called out.
“He’ll be fine.” Howie told her. They all had a chuckle watching Mark and Alex at the drums.
Chapter 7 by Ozbsbgirl
Nick joined Brianna and Mark at the club that night. One thing that she always felt self conscious about was her car compared to the guys cars. Her car was never reliable and that afternoon it wasn’t. It wouldn’t turn on again. They got the car seat out of her car and put it in Nick’s car and he drove to the club.
“Never thought would see this in my car.” He chuckled.
“I never thought I would either but here we are.” Brianna replied, Nick putting a hand on Brianna’s.
“We so are.” He smiled at her, glancing at the back where Mark was, behind him making sure he was fine.
“Can you believe this is your first gig you have been to mine?” Brianna remarked as he drove on.
“I owe you big time. How many you been to ours?” Nick asked.
“Let’s say a few.” Brianna laughed.
“You seen Uncle AJ on stage have you Mark?” Nick asked Mark.
“No.” Mark replied.
“Well we gotta take care of that. Don’t you worry. You’ll see all of us on stage soon. Your Mommy and I will be doing our rap. You like that don’t you.” Nick said.
“Yeah. It good.” Mark replied.
“Nick.” Brianna whined.
“You’ll be right.” Nick assured her.

When they arrived at the club, Mark ran to Gabrielle who was working at the club as a waitress. “Hey Marky. How’s my favourite guy?” Gabrielle said.
“Good. Mommy brought a friend.” Mark replied. In walked Nick and Brianna.
“Hi, how are you?” Gabrielle asked shocked that Nick was there. She had seen the other guys and the girls before but never Nick.
“Yeah good thanks, yourself.” Nick replied as he watched Brianna head to the stage where the band was.
“Great now that my favourite guy is here.” She replied cuddling Mark and picking him up and tickling him.
“Me hungry.” Mark said.
“You hungry hey? What do you feel like? I got chicky sticks, cheese pizza...” Gabrielle went on.
“Chicky sticks, chicky sticks.” Mark cheered.
“Chicky sticks it is. Do you want to grab something to eat now or have it later with the guys?” Gabrielle replied looking up at Nick.
“Chicky sticks, chicky sticks.” Mark looked up at Nick.
“You want me to have some chicky sticks hey?” Nick asked Mark.
“Yeah. Chicky sticks.” Mark replied.
“Haha, chicky sticks it is.” Nick laughed.
“No worries, two chicky sticks it is.” Gabrielle laughed heading back out to the kitchen.

Nick and Mark moved towards the front of the stage and began to watch Brianna perform on stage. Nick had heard of how brilliant Brianna captured the stage and how great she performed but he never saw it for himself and tonight was the night. Brianna brought Nick up on stage and introduced him to the band.

By the time the show started, Mark had fallen asleep in Brianna’s dressing room, Gabrielle with him. Nick stood in the background, not to reveal himself to much the crowd and steal the attention away from Brianna. Brianna performed a fantastic set. Performing her crowd favourites, the bands favourites and ending with her signature cover song, Leanne Rimes’ “Can’t Fight The Moonlight.” With that song she went into the crowd and ending with Nick.

Getting in the car, Brianna gently put Mark in his seat, asleep. “He can sleep through all that, and then move into the car.” Nick remarked when Brianna sat in her seat.
“Yup. The show tires him out so much. He loves it here.” She replied.
“I know Howie and Leigh would be jealous. Tour with James first time he was difficult. Poor Howie hardly slept.” Nick said.
“Alex did mention that. I remember he was calling me a few times while trying to get James off to sleep.” Brianna joked.
“We did our bit.” Nick laughed.

Pulling in the driveway of the apartment, Brianna noticed Heather’s car outside on the street. “Is that Heather?” Brianna asked herself.
“I’ll get him inside. I’m a pro.” Nick told her. Brianna gave Nick her keys and went to Heather who was walking up the driveway.

“Hey, how you doing? What’s happening?” Brianna asked hugging Heather.
“Can we talk?” Heather asked, sounding upset.
“Sure hun, come on. Nick’s got Mark, come on.” Brianna replied putting an arm around Heather as they walked out to the court yard.

“I have to quit. I am so sorry for leaving you like this but I have no choice.” Heather said.
“What? What’s going on?” Brianna asked.
“The good news is that the court case has been dropped and that my name is cleared and getting compensation. Should come through in a couple of weeks. The bad news is that I’ve got to go into hospital. I’ve got cancer.” Heather replied in a rush trying to get everything out.
“What?” Brianna said shocked.
“Yeah.” Heather cried. Brianna didn’t know what to say. All she could do was just put her arms around Heather and hold her.
“I know he would be asleep but can I see him?” Heather asked a few minutes later composing herself.
“Sure hun, no worries. Also, get all that run of make up off you. Not a good look.” Brianna replied giving her a smile.

Heather and Brianna walked in, Nick acknowledging them as he sat on the sofa using his phone to catch up on messages from people. Heather walked to Mark’s room and stayed there for a few minutes. “She ok?” Nick asked concerned.
“Nope.” Brianna replied as Nick put his arms around her. Heather stayed for a minutes before she left.
“I’ll give you a call in a few days alright.” Brianna promised her.

Snuggled up on the sofa, Nick’s arms around Brianna, they sat in silence. “What’s up?” He asked.
“I dunno. I just feel weird for some reason.” Brianna replied.
“Worried about Heather?” Nick guessed.
“Yeah sure, but this is something else. It is, I dunno.” Brianna said.
“Define your weird.” He told her.
“While I’m happy about you and I, I guess I can’t help but feel as though that this is wrong. I never expected to be in a relationship again after Andrew. I’m sorry. I just...” Brianna explained quietly getting up from the sofa.
“Feel as though you are betraying him? Cheating on him?” Nick guessed.
“Yes.” Brianna replied upset.
“Andrew wouldn’t want you to be like this. You can’t go on with your life like this. You need to be loved like the way you were with Andrew. Me, nor anyone can replace the love you have for Andrew. Wouldn’t expect it but you do need happiness, need to be loved.” Nick said.
“I know, I know. It’s just that I had it in my mind that I would be a single Mom.” Brianna replied.
“It’s alright, really.” Nick assured her, putting his arms around her.
Chapter 8 by Ozbsbgirl
Next morning when Brianna, Mark and Nick arrived at the studio, Mark was going to spend the day with Karen, they saw Brianna’s car on a tow truck. “WHAT?” Brianna freaked out.
“Relax. It’s ok. I called a mechanic and he’s going to fix the car today.” Alex told her.
“Alex, you know how I feel about this.” Brianna said.
“And I know how you feel about being independent.” Alex added. With a sigh that blew her hair that was in front of her behind her, she gave in. Karen soon turned up, Mark running to her and Alex and Nick fixing the car seat into Karen’s car.

Brianna didn’t have the gig at the show that night so she was able to spend the day with the guys in the studio. When Mark was with Alex and Karen she didn’t have to worry at all. She sometimes trusted them more than she trusted herself with Mark.

“Hey Nick, you know we got that movie premiere tonight.” Howie reminded Nick as they ate lunch out on the balcony.
“Which movie is it again?” Alex asked.
“Ah some vampire thing. Some comedy.” Brian replied.
“Vampire comedy...Mmm now that’s something you don’t here in one sentence.” Nick laughed.
“You going to take Brianna?” Howie asked.
“Aw geeze, she’s in the room Howie. Put the pressure on.” Brian laughed. Brianna slightly blushed.
“You know the ‘friends’ tag never goes with Nick when he is with a woman.” Brianna told the guys.
“That’s true.” Nick agreed.
“So you don’t wanna take me hey?” Brianna laughed, throwing Nick a piece of bread.
“Nup. Too much hassle.” Nick replied throwing it back to her.
“Aw gee thanks. Nice way to make a feel girl wanted.” She joked.
“You still laying low?” Brian asked.
“Yeah, not rushing things. Wanna take things slow.” Nick replied as he got up and stood behind Brianna bending down to give her a peck on the neck, then standing back up again, his hands on her shoulders.
“I don’t want to rush things, you know what I mean.” Brianna added.
“Yep, know what you mean.” Alex said putting a hand on her knee.

Back in the recording studio, Brianna listened as they recorded, Chris the producer with her. She wasn’t singing on this song but she was hanging around anyway. While they were recording, a message came on the computer from management asking the guys to stop recording. By the time they walked out of the room, Jen, their manager met them.

“What’s going on?” Howie asked as they stood next to each other.
“We’ve just had a phone call from the hospital here in Burbank. Karen and Mark have been in a car accident.” Jen said.
“What happened? How are they?” Alex asked shocked.
“Hospital wouldn’t say.” Jen replied.
“Come on guys.” Nick said as he walked out the door with Alex and Brianna behind him.

In what seemed like hours, was only a few minutes to the hospital, they arrived. Karen was next to Mark who were both being treated in the same room. Brianna rushed over to Mark to see him but the nursing staff wouldn’t allow that. After determination, they agreed to let her see Mark. He was covered in tubes, machines beeping at him. She stroked his little hand, crying to him over and over that she was here for him. A nurse then told her that he was going to have surgery, internal bleeding. Brianna signed the forms and watched her son being wheeled away.

Alex was holding Karen who couldn’t stop crying. Nick was outside, giving them some time together. “I’m so sorry.” Karen apologised through her tears.
“It’s alright, it really is.” Brianna cried hugging her. Orderlies then came and took Karen off for some scans to make sure she had no further injuries. Alex and Brianna walked out of the room, hand in hand, her head resting on his shoulder.
“What’s going on?” Nick asked.
“Mark’s got internal bleeding and is in surgery. Karen seems alright, just taking her for scans to make sure.” Alex sighed.
“Do you know what happened?” Nick asked.
“Karen hasn’t mentioned anything.” Alex replied.
“I just need to be on my own.” Brianna quietly spoke, letting go of Alex’s hand and walking off.
“You ok?” Nick asked. Brianna didn’t answer.

Brianna sat under a tree and just stared into space. She already lost the father to their child in a car accident, she didn’t want to lose her son in a car accident as well. Andrew’s parents weren’t all that well either she found out. The only blood family Mark had was Brianna. After Mark’s 3rd birthday they never called to see how he was doing.

“He’s out of surgery.” Alex said sitting down on the ground next to her. It had been some hours later.
“How is he?” Brianna asked, not looking at him.
“He’s alright. He still has a lot of tubes but that’s alright. They’ve sedated him so the swelling can go down but he is good considering. Come on, let’s go.” Alex replied getting up, holding out his hand for her to take. She took his hand and they went to Mark’s room where Nick was. Nick was holding his hand, humming some songs.
“He likes that one.” Brianna commented when she heard Nick hum ‘Backstreet’s Back’.
“Every kid does.” Nick chuckled quietly.
“How’s Karen?” Brianna asked.
“She’s fine. Resting at the moment. Keeping her in 24 hours for observation but alright.” Alex replied. Brianna sat with Mark the entire time, not leaving his bedside until he opened his eyes the following afternoon.
Chapter 9 by Ozbsbgirl
It was Thanksgiving. Everything was back on track. Nick wanted to spend Thanksgiving in Denver, Colorado. He hadn’t been there for a while and he heard that it was going to snow on Thanksgiving. He wanted to make Thanksgiving for Brianna and Mark the best he could. They flew up a few days before Thanksgiving to avoid the big crowds at airports and to avoid the snow. Nick’s family would be joining them the day after Thanksgiving. It had been a couple of months since he and Brianna started going out. Brianna had spoken to his family a couple of times on the phone but never actually met them.

Waking up on Thanksgiving morning, they all woke up to snow outside. Nick and Brianna were snuggled up in bed, warming each other up when Mark ran in and jumped up and down shrieking “It’s snowing.”
“Come on then. Let’s put our jackets on and get outside. Think we could build a snow man?” Nick asked him.
“Yay!” Mark squealed. Nick and Brianna got out of bed, put their winter gear on, and went to help Mark who almost had everything on right. Nick and Mark ran outside, Brianna going back inside to grab the video camera. She wanted to capture this Thanksgiving.

Brianna went outside and Nick was teaching Mark on how to make snowballs and then to throw them. It almost seemed to family like and almost something from a movie or TV show. Mark stumbled in the snow a few times but he got back up and had fun. Brianna gave Nick the video camera, called over to Mark and she lay on the ground. “Snow angels.” She told him. Mark wasn’t interested. He and Nick threw snowballs at her.

As the snow increased they went inside. They showered and changed and Brianna began to start cooking the turkey. It was going to cover the two days and had quite a few hours of cooking to do. Everyone called to wish them a Happy Thanksgiving and they all had a conversation on what they were all doing.

After the very filling dinner, Mark fell asleep on the floor watching TV. Brianna was just about to lean down and pick him up when Nick did. “I can handle this don’t you think?” He asked her. She just grinned. Few minutes later, Nick returned back, a hand behind his back.
“What you doing with your hand behind your back?” She asked as he walked back into the living room.
“Nothing.” Nick replied as he sat down next to her and brought that hand forward handing her a box.
“What have you done?” Brianna asked.
“Open and find out silly.” Nick chuckled. Brianna untied the ribbon and then lifted the top of the box open, unravelling the tissue paper that surrounded the gift. It was a photo of when Andrew when he was born next to Mark when he was born. Brianna tried to get words out but she couldn’t.
“Alright?” He asked a few minutes later.
“It’s more than alright. It’s perfect. Thankyou.” She managed to say, throwing her arms around him.

Next morning, the three of them tidied the house up for when Nick’s family, minus his Dad would arrive. Nick was going to spend a weekend with his Dad in a week fishing off the Florida Keys coast with Aaron.

When everyone arrived they gave Nick all hugs, put down their presents for each other and went into the living room. Brianna and Mark were in the kitchen, giving Nick some time with his family. Mark was helping with the basting of the turkey that didn’t finish cooking from the day before. “Ready?” Nick asked walking in.
Mark ran ahead into the living room when he heard laughter.

“Everyone, this is Brianna. Oh and her rug rat Mark.” Nick introduced.
“That’s me.” Mark said. Everyone had a chuckle. Angel, Aaron and Leslie gave them hugs. Their mother was a bit reserved. Nick warned Brianna about this. While Mark kept his family entertained by doing things and they were spending time with Mark, Nick helped Brianna with the lunch.
“Your doing fine.” He assured her as they were bringing out the last of the food and everyone was gathered at the table.

After lunch, Aaron and Nick took Mark outside to play some football. Angel helped Brianna put away all the food and the dishes into the dishwasher. “With Leslie and Mom, don’t worry about them. Mom thinks she should be pampered for what she has done for us and Leslie, well she tries.” Angel said to Brianna.
“It’s alright really.” Brianna replied.
“Give them some time, they’ll come round. Christmas is only round the corner. You and Mark going next weekend with Nick down to the Keys to see Dad?” Angel asked.
“No, boys weekend. I’m working on the weekend anyway at the club.” Brianna replied closing the dishwasher door.
“Kind of a good thing. Those boys weekends are what you would expect. No showers, no nothing. I met them at the boat ramp one day and boy did I regret it. They were like, foul.” Angel laughed.
“I can imagine. But hey, that’s guys for you.” Brianna said.
“If they could, I swear Dad, Nick and Aaron wouldn’t shower for a week if they were out there fishing. The fish would run away. Especially when they have had a couple of drinks.” Angel said.
“Probably yeah.” Brianna replied as they walked outside putting their jackets on to join Nick, Aaron and Mark outside with the football.

This is how Brianna wanted to have Thanksgiving. Mark laughing and having fun. Being a boy. Everyone commented on how Nick grew attached to Mark so quickly in such a short amount of time. There was however, some sadness for Brianna. Andrew wasn’t physically here to see all this. Tackling his son in playing football. Snowball fights. Laughing. Brianna only wondered what the future would hold for them. She didn’t plan things, she just went with the flow. Life was good for now.
Chapter 10 by Ozbsbgirl
The weekend that Nick and Aaron went to the Florida Keys to have the weekend fishing with their dad, Brianna was working both the Saturday and Sunday nights. On the Saturday night Mark was having a sleepover at Brian and Leighanne’s with Baylee. Brian, Howie and Alex going to the Saturday night show to see Brianna. Brianna was nervous about leaving Mark with Leighanne and Baylee, being Mark’s first sleepover but once Mark saw Baylee and James he was fine.

Brianna stole the show again with her set that she did as always, encore after encore, enjoying the adrenalin that she always received from performing. Her band was better than ever tonight, probably because their contract at the club was extended for another 2 years with a pay rise. It would be in the next week or so where she would have to tell them that she will need to leave the band/club to continue on with the recording of the guys album and then tour. Management at the club knew and weren’t saying a thing.

Brianna’s final song for the night was going to be a Backstreet Boys song, she taking Nick’s part. She convinced Brian, Howie and Alex to come up on stage, the crowd going even wild. The band started to play ‘Shape of My Heart.’

Once the crowd had left, the guys stayed around and kept Brianna and the band company while they packed up for the night. Leaving the club, Brianna’s phone rang. Naturally her first instinct thought it would be Leighanne about Mark. It was the local police asking her to come to her house as soon as she could. Brian and Howie got in their cars and drove off, Brianna getting in Alex’s and going to her place. As Alex drove into the street, cars, emergency services were there and a glow. The apartments were on fire. Someone had set the whole building on fire.

There was nothing that was salvageable. Everything was gone. Everything that Brianna had struggled to get had gone. All in an instant. “How do I tell Mark?” Brianna asked Alex as they got back in the car, Alex driving back to his place.
“Tell him the truth. He’s a smart kid. In the mean time you and he are staying with us. No questions about it. Don’t you worry about anything. In the morning we’ll start again.” Alex explained.
“Don’t tell Nick, not yet.” Brianna pleaded.
“I wouldn’t even if I could. When Nick, Aaron and their Dad go out to sea, they go out to sea. No communication of any kind until like a few miles from civilisation. I’ve been with them once and couldn’t believe it but it’s beautiful on where they go. I am not going to leave a message as he will be concerned even more.” Alex informed her, driving in the driveway to his place. Karen greeted them at the door, Karen taking Brianna upstairs to freshen up, Alex making the calls to Brian and Howie.

Come morning and things were on the go for starting up again. Karen and Alex had made a list of things that needed to be done, things needed to get, etc. Brian and Leighanne said Mark could stay over the night again to help Brianna out. Brianna spent the morning on the phone with the insurance company in regards to getting money from them and then was being interviewed by the police in regards to the fire.

The show that night was the only thing that kept Brianna going for the day at least. Mark was having a great time with Baylee, Howie and Leigh taking James over for a play. Brianna wanted to do a different set of songs that night, powerful ‘in your face’ songs to let her anger out.

As she was settling down for the night in the spare bedroom at Alex and Karen’s, her phone rang.
“Where are you? Are you alright? I just got back into LA, see your place burnt down?” Nick asked full of questions.
“Relax, I’m fine. Mark’s at Brian and Leighanne’s. I get back from the gig last night and the police call and tell me to get there ASAP. I get there and the whole place is burnt down obviously. Lost everything. I’m staying at Alex and Karen’s.” Brianna informed him.
“Are you sure you are alright? Why didn’t you call me?” Nick asked.
“Nick, you were in Florida. You couldn’t have gotten back til now anyway. It’s all under control.” Brianna replied.
“But still. You want me over or something?” He asked not knowing what to say.
“I’ll see you in the morning after you’ve had a shower at the studio.” Brianna replied ending with a joke.
“Hey, I’ve had a shower. Had to have one before I stepped onto the plane.” Nick laughed.
“See you in the morning.” Brianna said.

In the studio, Brianna and Alex were talking with Howie and Nick when Mark ran in followed by Brian. “Mommy!” Mark squealed running to hug her.
“Hey baby. Have fun with Baylee and James?” Brianna asked, cuddling him tight.
“Yeah, Baylee is so cool!” Mark replied.
“Were you a good boy for Brian and Leighanne?” Brianna asked.
“He sure was. Baylee and Mark were running around non stop all day yesterday. Tired themselves out.” Brian laughed.
“Thanks for the weekend.” Brianna said.
“No worries.” He replied as he gave her a hug. The guys went in the studio, Brianna and Mark watching from the control booth where Chris was as they began to do their next song on the album.

Having lunch Nick suggested that Brianna and Mark move in with him. “Well it makes sense doesn’t it? We’re spending a lot of time together and that you and Mark need a place to live. I have plenty of bedrooms, Mark can run around the backyard with the dogs and I was spending a bit of time at your place anyway. Why not?” Nick explained.
“Alright, let’s do it.” Brianna replied.
“Really?” Nick asked shocked.
“Yes, really.” Brianna smiled.

Arriving at Nick’s place, Brianna was overwhelmed. “This is all of your place?” She remarked getting out of the car.
“Um, yeah.” Nick replied.
“This is like bigger than the whole apartment complex.” Brianna stated.
“You’ll get used to it.” He grinned as he put am arm around her waist, Mark running to the front door. As they walked in the front door, Nick put Mark on his shoulders and showed them around the house. Mark marvelling at everything.
Chapter 11 by Ozbsbgirl
Right up until Christmas Eve all of them were working in the studio with the album. The album to had to be finished by the end of January and were only half done. Christmas shopping had been done. Working 12-16 hour days was taking it’s toll on everyone but they had to deal with it. It definitely took its toll on Brianna who had never done this kind of intense pressure. Fortunately for Nick and Brianna, they weren’t doing Christmas so they could sleep in for a bit on Christmas morning.

But they didn’t get a sleep in. They eventually went to bed around 1am after finishing wrapping up presents for Mark and each other, Mark waking up at 6am. “Santa’s been, Santa’s been.” He cheered running down the hallway. Nick and Brianna giggled.
“This is the year where the fun starts. They sure know Christmas and Santa.” Nick laughed.
“He started last year. Thanks to Alex.” Brianna replied. They walked downstairs to where there was a big Christmas tree in the living room. Mark running around the front of the Christmas tree to locate his presents. One by one, he ripped open the presents until there was no more. Brianna and Nick brought Mark a tricycle, basically everything that was lost in the fire.

Arriving at Angel’s house for Christmas, they were loaded up with presents. Brianna felt out of place as she had never had a Christmas this big before. “A Carter Christmas is different from a Carter Thanksgiving. You’ll see why.” Nick warned her as he closed his car door and balanced himself with the presents that he was carrying.

Inside Angel’s house the house was decorated from one end of the house to the other. It was a warmish day for Christmas. Angel and their Mom Jane were in the kitchen finishing the final touches to the turkey, Aaron was on the phone to his girlfriend who was with her family for Christmas and Leslie was in the living room rearranging the presents.

“Wassup! Wassup!” Nick called out as they entered the house.
“Nick, you took your time.” Leslie said as she greeted them.
“Little guy wanted to play with every single thing he got from Santa.” Nick laughed scruffing Mark’s hair.
“I tried to tell him that we had to come here but he insisted on playing with everyone of them.” Brianna said.
“From 6am mind you.” Nick added as he unloaded all the presents.
“Like the good old days.” Jane spoke up giving her son a hug.
“Yeah.” Nick replied hugging back. Brianna followed Nick to where the presents were, Mark tagging along, shy, and placed her pile of presents there.

“Hey Aaron, any word if Carly is coming?” Angel asked him as they were sitting round to Christmas lunch.
“Yeah, was just on the phone. She’s got family all day and today. She’s got her Mom’s family now and then all of her Dad’s family for supper.” Aaron replied grabbing a leg of turkey.
“Oooh, you haven’t met the Dad’s family have you?” Nick remarked.
“Better yet. Haven’t met the Dad.” Aaron added.
“Oh god! Your doomed! Doomed!” Nick laughed, an arm around Aaron’s neck in a pretend headlock.
“And your there tonight aren’t you?” Leslie asked.
“Ah, yup. Tonight is the night.” Aaron sighed.
“Haha, dude! You like said that as if tonight was THE night.” Nick cracked up laughing as he was putting some food on Mark’s plate.
“Dude! Settle here. Mom’s here.” Aaron blushed.
“Ah!” Angel and Leslie giggled.

After a lengthy lunch, Brianna helped Angel, Leslie and Jane with the cleaning up. Aaron and Nick were with Mark outside playing with Angel’s dogs while trying to get him to settle down after lunch. Once things were cleaned up, it was present time. It felt strange giving presents where they were from Nick AND Brianna. Mark’s few presents excited him more and more til he eventually fell asleep in Brianna’s arms playing with the airplane he was given from Leslie. Angel showed her to the spare room and let Mark sleep there, the bedroom door ajar so Mark wouldn’t be scared waking him in a strange place.

“There’s just one more gift.” Nick announced as the girls started to clean up.
“What? I thought this was it?” Brianna remarked.
“Now it is.” Nick answered holding out a small bag. Brianna opened the bag, a jewellery box from Tiffany’s. Opening the box was a locket. It was the first ever photo of Nick and Brianna together as a couple, taken by Alex.
“Nick it’s beautiful. Thankyou.” She gasped taken a back by it. Nick put it on her. Fit her perfectly. As he kissed her, Mark started to stir upstairs.
“I think he guessed on what we’re going to do.” Aaron chuckled.
“What’s that?” Brianna asked getting up and going to the spare room where Mark was to bring him back to the living room.
“You’ll see.” Nick replied. Minutes later Brianna and Mark were downstairs again, Mark rubbing his eyes to wake himself up. When Brianna looked, she saw that both Nick and Aaron had their guitars with them.
“You can’t have a Christmas without Christmas music.” Leslie told Brianna as she sat next to her, Mark on her lap. They then started singing Christmas carols.

As Nick drove in the driveway at their place that night, Brianna looked back and saw Mark sound asleep. “He enjoyed today.” Brianna remarked.
“I think he did too and I think you too.” Nick replied looking in the rear view mirror.
“Thankyou.” Brianna said.
“No thank you.” Nick replied, holding her hand.
Chapter 12 by Ozbsbgirl
For New Years Eve, Nick had an appearance at Time Square in New York. Just after midnight struck, he was going to be on a plane back to Los Angeles for the dance rehearsals. “Come with me. You have to do New Years at Times Square. Howie and Leigh are staying in, Mark will stay there.” Nick said as they woke up New Years Eve morning.
“Yeah right? Nick it’s NYE, an extra ticket to New York and leaving Mark with Howie and Leigh. That’s a bit too much don’t you think.” Brianna told him.
“All taken care of. Howie and James will be here in an hour. He’ll take us to the airport. No need to pack or anything. No hotels or whatever.” Nick explained. With that, Brianna flew out of bed and got ready. While Brianna showered and dressed, Nick got Mark ready to go to Howie’s for the night.

“I feel so guilty about leaving Mark all these times. Our lives have changed so much.” Brianna sighed as they were boarding their flight. Their relationship was no longer a secret, Alex broke the news just before Christmas when was asked what everyone was doing for Christmas. A few fans and the media came up and approached them for photos, wanting a photo of Nick and Brianna together or the fan and Nick. There was one fan who took a great photo of Nick and Brianna that Brianna actually asked the fan for a copy of it.
“Don’t feel guilty. Mark is having the time of his life. I know these few years haven’t been that great, you have been used to doing things on your own, being independent but you are entitled to have a life as well.” Nick told her.
“My life is Mark.” Brianna stated.
“And that’s fine but you do need to have something for your own. Soon we’ll be on the road for promo and then the tour. We’ll be together all the time. It will be alright. I promise you.” Nick replied, holding her hand, ducking his head to enter the plane.

Arriving in New York City, they were escorted to an awaiting car that was going to take them to Time Square. Nick was going to be performing some songs. For Brianna, she was thankful that she was going to be with Nick at the stroke of midnight. Amongst the front of the crowd, she saw Nick perform his few songs that he was going to do. He sang “Miss America”, “Help Me” and “I Stand For You”. Moving away from the crowd to meet up with Nick, Brianna saw Nick holding a couple of things and grinning.
“What?” She asked.
“I’ve just managed to get us into the New Years kissathon.” Nick said.
“Nick! You didn’t!” Brianna shrieked.
“Yup!” He laughed.
“You Carter’s!” Brianna cracked up laughing.
“Hey, what can I say? It’s a Carter thang.” Nick chuckled. At the stroke of midnight, Nick and Brianna began to kiss. This was their first public kiss as a couple. They lasted about 5 minutes before Nick broke out laughing. She playfully hit him. “I was enjoying that.” She laughed. Nick had seen themselves on the giant screens.

Within the hour they were on their way back to the airport. “New York was awesome.” Brianna commented as they were sitting on the plane back to LA.
“When we’re here in a few weeks, it will be better. Backstreet Mania. You’ll see.” Nick told her. Just after getting in the air, they both fell asleep.
Chapter 13 by Ozbsbgirl
When they landed back in LA, Nick caught a cab to the dance studio where they would be rehearsing for the video, Brianna in a cab to pick up Mark at Howie and Leigh’s before Leigh dropped her off home. Brianna was going to be writing songs for her album. She often found herself writing when Mark was around, gave her the inspiration to write. Writing in a studio she felt as though she couldn’t concentrate on much.

Home she settled Mark in front of the TV watching a DVD with a snack while she went upstairs and had a long shower. To and from New York City in 24 hours with no shower or rest apart from on the bumpy flight tired her out and the shower helped her freshen up. As she settled herself on the patio in the backyard, Mark running around outside with the dogs playing she began to write again.

In full writing mode, hearing Mark in the background, she was startled when she heard the front door slam rather loudly. “Mommy will be back in a minute. You stay there.” She called out to Mark. Mark didn’t listen. Brianna went inside and saw Nick in a rage.

“What’s going on? Thought you would be at the studio.” She remarked closing the door to outside so Mark couldn’t hear.
“That was the plan. I got there and Brian and AJ and Howie were out the front of the studio unable to get in. We naturally got on our phones and were like, uh, what’s happening. No one answered for like an hour. Couldn’t get onto Management for 2 hours. The financial transaction didn’t come through or some crap like that. Being New Years Day no one had bothered to notify us as everyone is sleeping it off from last night. So we have a video to do but nothing to go with.” Nick explained angry.
“You were doing the song “Count on You” right?” Brianna asked.
“Yeah, what about it?” Nick replied.
“That’s the one that’s for the fans isn’t it?” Brianna asked.
“That’s the one.” Nick answered deep breathing trying to keep his cool.
“What about doing an updated version of the video, ‘The One’? You’ve got footage of tours, all the appearances you have done. I’m assuming with your legal team you can get some stuff off the internet. You show the fans the support they have done for you, like a mirage or something of posters, etc.” Brianna suggested.
“Forgetting one thing...money. We needed money today.” Nick reminded her.
“Alright sorry. Ok, what about doing a video with you and the girls and the kids in it? Each of us could take control of the video camera? We can do it at one of our places. We organise things today, video can be done by Monday at the latest. Count On You is also for the girls as well.” Brianna suggested. Nick was silent for a few minutes.
“I’ll call the guys.” Nick said giving her a hug and running upstairs to make the calls. Brianna got her phone and called the girls. Within an hour, everyone agreed on Brianna’s idea.

The video was going to be done in Brian and Leighanne’s backyard in a relaxed party atmosphere, a barbeque party, girls laughing, the guys at the barbeque, kids playing, then the guys cuddling the girls, everyone in the pool and finishing by the guys serenading the girls in candlelight.

Brian and Nick worked on the sound of the video with Alex and Howie on the editing of the video. The video was completely finished around 4am Monday morning. No one in the studio believed they had done all this on their own and with the short amount of time they had. The video was going to go straight to Youtube so all fans could see the video that night.
Chapter 14 by Ozbsbgirl
By the time Alex’s birthday arrived a week later, there were going to be surprises in store for everyone. Brianna was working with Alex on the side to organise his birthday and Karen wanted to surprise Alex with a big birthday surprise. The thing was, Karen was keeping something secret but Brianna still had to organise something. Alex had managed to organise Karen’s parents come to the party, Brianna picking them up at the airport and playing tour guide til it was time to go to Alex and Karen’s for the party.

On Karen’s part, Brianna contacted Alex’s Mom, Denise and got her and her family from around the US to be in LA. They were all staying in hotels and were being picked up in a Hummer just before the party.

Nick, Brian and Howie were all suspicious on what was happening as Brianna was busier than normal and it was nothing to do with the album. Brianna had recorded the 3 songs with the guys and her part was done. They all expected Brianna to be relaxing but she was always doing something and making something up or acting strangely which she tried not to do.

“You won’t give any clues?” Nick asked as they were getting ready for the party.
“Nope. Not so long to go. I don’t know what is going on, I was just asked to do these things and that was it. With Alex and Karen being busy with work I was their only option to get things done right.” Brianna replied.
“AJ has been kinda weird lately, I have to admit that. He has been mysterious with phone calls, sneaking out for something for a while but it seems to be a good thing.” Nick remarked.
“Well not too long to go.” Brianna sighed walking out the room to see what Mark was up to.

Inside Alex and Karen’s place the party was in full swing. Their families weren’t there as yet, weren’t being brought out til just before the surprises. Baylee and James were playing together when Nick, Brianna and Mark walked in, Mark running off to them. “What’s going on?” Nick asked Alex and Karen when they hugged them.
“What’s going on? Just a party for me. I’m the birthday boy after all.” Alex cheekily replied.
“Yup, just a party.” Karen added. Once everyone had arrived, Brianna made the call for both families to arrive, in 5 minutes. They hid in the back corner waiting for their cue.

“Alright guys. Guys.” Alex called out a while later on. A few minutes later, everything went quiet.
“Geeze, if I were on tour, this wouldn’t happen. Get even louder.” Alex joked, everyone laughed.
“I want to thankyou for all being here tonight. Means a great deal to Kaz and I. Especially to me. I know I don’t get much time off but when I have it, I just wanna sleep! The fellas will back me up here. Having you here tonight is just fantastic. Thank you.” Alex said before everyone went into applause, Alex taking Karen’s hand facing her.

“Karen, I am the luckiest man alive. I know everyone says that but I truly am. I love you so much. You are my everything. You know me almost more than I know my own self. I can’t bear my life without you. Karen, will you spend the rest of my life with me? Be my wife?” He proposed on one knee. Everyone was gasping, in shock.
“Yes. Yes I will marry you.” Karen answered between her tears. Alex hugged her tightly, everyone applauding.
“I guess now is as good timing. I have been waiting for the right time, guess it’s now.” Karen said.
“What?” Alex asked, unable to take the smile off his face.
“I’m pregnant.” Karen blurted. Another set of gasps filled the room.
“You serious!” Alex shrieked.
“Very.” Karen smiled, Alex putting his arms around her.
“I’m gonna be a Daddy.” Alex shouted out loud. At that moment amongst all the cheers Alex and Karen’s parents came out in front.

“You have any idea?” Brian asked Brianna when they caught up during the party.
“None whatsoever. I was blown away just as much as you.” Brianna replied.
“What about this women’s intuition thing about especially when one is pregnant?” Brian asked.
“Brian, I swear I didn’t know anything.” She laughed.
“Guys, she had no idea. Only we knew our things.” Alex chimed in, Karen by his side.
“HEY!!” Howie, Leigh, Brian, Leighanne, Nick and Brianna said all at once and hugging them.
“AJ’s right. Bri didn’t know. “ Karen added.
“I was doing this with all these cryptic clues.” Brianna laughed.
“Well she’s definitely a Backstreet Girl.” Howie commented.

Back home, Mark sound asleep in the car, Brianna carried him inside. She changed him into his pyjamas and then went into the bedroom where Nick was, getting ready for bed.
“You aren’t planning anything that big for my birthday are you?” Nick asked.
“What?” Brianna replied.
“Coming out with something like that?” Nick asked.
“I can assure you, nothing like that. I promise you.” Brianna assured him.
“AJ will be so cool as a Dad.” Nick pointed out.
“I’ll feel for Karen when she has the baby. I remember when she and Alex were with me when Mark was born. He was so funny.” Brianna laughed reminiscing.
“I can just see him do the breathing and all.” Nick cracked up laughing.
“It was so funny.” Brianna added.
Chapter 15 by Ozbsbgirl
Over the next 2 weeks, everyone was in the studio finishing the album. The album was finishing and it had to be out the day before Nick’s birthday. The album launch was going to be in New York on Nick’s birthday with a party in Tampa Bay that night.

Waking up in New York on Nick’s birthday, Nick snuggled into Brianna. “Wakey wakey.” He whispered.
“Mmm, can we have 5 minutes more?” She murmured.
“I think we can.” He replied kissing her.
“Happy Birthday.” She said.
“Mmmhmm thanks.” He replied.

As they were about to walk out the door, their hotel room door knocked. It was Howie.
“Wassup?” Brianna asked, taking hold of Mark’s hand.
“Need to see this.” Howie replied showing them a magazine article. It was of Brianna and Nick with Mark labelled as ‘The New Carter Family’. This is what Nick didn’t want. He never classed them as his family or would want to for quite some time yet. Brianna didn’t either. It had only been 4 months since Brianna and Nick became a couple.

“Great. Oh well that’s life.” Nick sighed looking at it.
“Just thought would give you the heads up. This is just one of many.” Howie informed them.
“Well we can’t change what has been done. We can’t hide from anyone so whatever.” Brianna concluded as they met up with Brian and Alex at the elevator.
“Take it you have seen the article?” Alex guessed.
“Internet is like wo.” Brianna added.

At the Hard Rock Cafe fans were waiting, screaming, chanting the guys, hysteria happening all over the building. The single ‘Count On You’ was playing, fans singing along to it. Leighanne was coming on the promo tour to help Brianna out with Mark. When it came to Brianna singing with the guys, the one song, Mark stretched up, kissed Brianna on the cheek and wish her luck.

Just before the album signings, a birthday cake was brought out for Nick and everyone singing happy birthday, including Leighanne, Baylee and Mark. When it came to blowing out the birthday candles, he got Mark and Baylee to help him out with it.

After the Hard Rock Cafe, Brianna and Baylee went back with Leighanne and Baylee to the hotel while the guys had their press conferences and their radio interviews for the rest of the day.

Around 9pm the guys came back from their full on day, Mark was asleep. Leighanne was in her hotel room with Baylee getting him down for the night, Brianna was just watching TV.
“Hey.” Nick said as he walked in.
“Hey. How the rest of the day go?” She asked as they hugged each other.
“Yeah it was good. As what we had thought and stuff, everyone took advantage of it being my birthday and stuff and also the news coming out this morning.” He sighed as they sat on the sofa.
“That gotta suck.” Brianna commented.
“But I’m here now. Just be me.” He sighed.
“Yup. Mark’s asleep. Had an early night so it’s just you and I.” Brianna replied.
“Sweet. Couldn’t think of a how I would want to spend the night of my birthday.” Nick commented.
“That reminds me.” Brianna stated getting up going to the drawers at her side of the bed.
“What?” Nick asked. She came back holding an envelope and handing it to him.
“Happy Birthday.” Brianna said. Nick opened the envelope and his face dropped. With the help of the guys, she was able to give him a seasons pass to the Tampa Bay Buc’s home and away season.
“Not only that but...” She added going into the cupboard. She handed him a large frame. Unwrapping the frame, Nick’s jaw dropped. It was a certification with his favourite player’s jersey of the #1 ticketholder for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He tried to come out with the words but he couldn’t.
“Aw babe this is awesome! I love you.” Nick said. Brianna went silent. This was the first time Nick said those three words.
“You what?” Brianna had to ask.
“I love you.” Nick repeated. Brianna went to embrace Nick.
“I love you too.” Brianna told him. They held and kissed each other before moving to the bed.

Waking up following morning, Brianna was a bit quieter than normal but didn’t want to let the day get her down. They were heading to Chicago. Brianna’s home town.
Chapter 16 by Ozbsbgirl
Author's Notes:
Pretty long chapter
Leaving the hotel for the airport early in the morning to head to Chicago for a mid morning TV show appearance, Nick was on the phone to Aaron in Los Angeles and in their own weird world of talk. Nick got in the front of the back of the car, Brianna sitting next to Alex, Mark asleep still. Baylee was asleep in Brian’s arms and Mark in the middle of the back with Howie next to him.

“You alright?” Alex asked putting a hand on her knee.
“Fine why?” Brianna replied.
“We’re going to be in Chicago in a few hours.” Alex reminded her.
“I’ll be right.” Brianna lied.
“You haven’t told him have you?” He guessed.
“Told him what?” Leighanne asked leaning forward.
“No I haven’t said anything. I didn’t think the relationship would be this way and we haven’t had the time.” Brianna replied.
“What’s going on?” Brian piped up. Alex looked at Brianna.
“When we’re done for the day, I’ll tell you all.” Brianna sighed.
“Everything ok?” Howie asked.
“Yup. Everything is fine.” Brianna replied snuggling into Alex.

Arriving at JFK Airport, they checked in and made it to the gate with 5 minutes to spare. The kids were awake by now, Baylee and Alex trying to beat each other out in rock paper scissors and Mark with Brian on his shoulders. It was easier for Brian to take Mark into the airport and to the departure gate. Nick was on the phone to Aaron still.

On the plane, Nick and Brianna sat next to each other, Brian and Baylee sitting next to each other playing games with everyone keeping an eye on them. “You alright?” Brianna asked Nick.
“Yeah.” He sighed leaning back into his seat, his head resting back.
“What’s wrong?” Brianna asked turning to face him side on.
“It’s Aaron but it’s all good. Just had some dramas in the studio and needed my help.” Nick replied, a hand brushing her face.
“That’s alright. How’s the album coming?” Brianna asked.
“Couple months and be all set. About time.” Nick replied laughing.
“When we get to Chicago I was saying to the guys we gotta talk, but not til tonight”. She told him.
“All ok?” He asked concerned.
“Fine.” Brianna smiled as they were instructed to listen to the flight safety instructions.

Arriving in Chicago, on a cold winters day, fans were waiting at the gate, screaming for the guys. Leighanne and Brianna took hold of Mark and Baylee and going down to the baggage claim where they would be met by officials from the record company. This was the first time that Mark got scared of seeing everyone screaming for the guys.

Leighanne and Brianna went to the hotel with the kids to warm up and get them settled in, while the guys went on to the TV studios to do their appearances. Brianna didn’t need to appear with the boys until late that afternoon for radio shows.

With Mark and Baylee playing in the Brian and Leighanne’s hotel room on the computer, Leighanne and Brianna talked.
“What is going on?” Leighanne asked.
“I’m not saying anything til tonight. I haven’t even told Nick and I want to tell him before all of you.” Brianna replied.
“But AJ knows....” Leighanne pondered.
“Yeah he knows. I told him this when we met in Chicago at the club where I used to sing. I didn’t tell straight away and things kept happening, I was being shifty with him and the truth had to come out. He is the only one that knows and that’s the way it’s stayed. I wasn’t going to say anything, as I said earlier on the way here, as I didn’t know how this relationship with Nick would go and last. I didn’t want to scare him or something.” Brianna explained.
“Nick isn’t like that. If he loves you, which we all know he does, he won’t be scared or anything. Nick is incredible. I am actually surprised on how he has taken to Mark so well. He was never like this with Baylee. It’s all good now, back then it wasn’t a good time for him, we all know but now, things are just great. Apart from his family, I am the only woman that has known Nick properly the longest and when I mean that he loves you and Mark, I really mean it. You and Mark are the best thing for Nick in such a long time.” Leighanne told her. Brianna couldn’t reply, only just smile and shed a few tears.

When Brianna arrived at the radio station that afternoon with the guys, they were told at the last minute that things would be changing. “Brianna will be giving you lyrics and you have to see if you can match the song.” Matty the DJ told them.
“Hehehe. Sounds goooood.” Alex laughed.
“I’ve been wanting to do this for so long.” Brianna joked.
“You have not.” Alex retorted laughing.
“Maybe I have, maybe I haven’t.” She grinned as they walked into the room where they would be. Nick pulled her aside.

“What’s this you wanna tell me?” He asked.
“Not here. It’ll have to be back at the hotel.” Brianna whispered.
“What is it?” He asked again.
“Nick, please not here. Come on, I wanna see you get your butt kicked on radio.” Brianna replied as she went ahead, Howie hurrying them in.

“Alright peoples. You all know that the Backstreet Boys have done hundreds of songs, sung them millions of times, heard their songs billions of times. Now here is the test. We’re gonna have a quick chat about the album obviously but we are gonna add some excitement. Get their blood boiling. Stay tuned.” Matty told the audience.
“I’m frickin freaking out.” Brian joked.
“He is. His legs are shaking. Yo AJ, hold his leg will ya.” Howie added. After a few questions about the album Matty introduced Brianna to the game.

“First one guys, we’ll ease into things... ‘I’d walk a thousand miles.’” Brianna spoke up.
“Nick?” Alex asked turning to look at him.
“Don’t look at me.” Nick laughed.
“Come on man, you sing this. I know that much.” Howie said.
“Dude come on, you can do this.” Brian said getting outta his chair and rubbing his shoulders.
“Help me out here.” Nick said.
“Oh geeze.” Alex groaned shaking his head.
“Oh yeah! All I have to give.” Nick remembered jokingly, everyone in the room laughing.
“Ok ok, next one... ‘My battery is low.” Brianna said.
“THE CALL!” They all shouted at once.
“I don’t care who you are, where your from, what you did...” Brianna said.
“As long as you love me.” Brian sang.
“Eyes of stone...” Brianna continued.
“Show me the meaning of being lonely.” Howie cut in.
“Man we choose long titles. No wonder people only use the first letters of the title to tell the song.” Nick commented.
“Shawty aint got cable.” Brianna said.
“She’s A Dream.” Alex sighed smiling thinking of Karen.
“Yo, everyone, you gotta know this. AJ is one lovesick puppy here.” Nick laughed.
“Well Karen is a dream.” Alex defended himself. “Karen I love you baby.” He added.
“Alright guys one more.” Matty interjected.
“This one is my favourite.... ‘Am I sexual?” Brianna concluded.
“Backstreet’s Back alright!” Howie answered.

After the radio interview, the guys had a further couple of phone interviews on the way back to hotel, Nick and Brian were doing them leaving Alex and Howie free. Howie was on the phone.

“You going to tell all tonight?” Alex asked.
“Looks like I have to. I have no choice.” Brianna sighed.
“Nick will be fine with it. He adores you.” Alex assured her.
“That’s what Leighanne told me. I just didn’t want to tell Nick so soon. It’s only been a few months.” Brianna replied.
“He will be fine. I’ll be there. We all will be.” Alex said, putting a hand on her knee.

Back at the hotel, Leighanne and Baylee were having dinner in their hotel room with Mark. Mark and Baylee were having some vegetarian pizza.
“Hey matey, how we doing? Having fun?” Brian asked as he and Brianna walked in.
“Why don’t you and Nick go out for dinner or something? Mark’s fine here. If you give us his pyjamas and stuff for bed, we’ll get Mark ready for bed then later tonight we’ll bring them around when they are asleep.” Leighanne suggested.
“I guess that would be alright. Gimme a few minutes.” Brianna replied. When Brianna got back to her and Nick’s hotel room to get Mark’s things, she found Nick talking on the phone over at the window overlooking the Chicago skyline. He acknowledged her as she walked in, grabbed Mark’s things, gave him some indication that she would be back and then she was gone.

“I hope you realise by us doing this tonight you are on babysitting duties on Valentine’s Day...In London.” Brian said when she came back.
“Fine by me.” Brianna replied.
“Brian! No. Don’t be that cruel. Honey, don’t listen to him.” Leighanne assured Brianna. She hugged Mark, thanked Brian and Leighanne again and said she would see them later on before going back to her hotel room.

“Carly, he isn’t tricking you or anything. He means it. Aaron wouldn’t do that kind of thing. Yeah he can be an asshole at times but he loves you. He wouldn’t have done what he did unless he didn’t want to.” Brianna heard Nick say as she walked in. Brianna hugged Nick from behind, walking off again, to go to the kitchenette for a bottle of water and sat on the sofa.
“Aaron isn’t playing games now. You and he are real. The moment he steps outta here, I’m there fixing it up and he knows it. You are supposed to be celebrating, not wondering. Relax alright. I’m ecstatic for you. You and Aaron have fun tonight ok.” Nick continued. After a few words and saying goodbye, Nick got off the phone.

“You right?” Brianna asked as he slumped on the couch next to her.
“Young love. I think its crazy when your younger, better when your older. Kinda less complicated.” Nick sighed.
“Haha, what you on about?” She asked.
“Swear you won’t say anything? I’m the only one that knows.” Nick replied turning to face her side on.
“Naturally. What is it?” She asked.
“Aaron has proposed to Carly. Did it last night at their place. She thinks it’s a trick or a stunt or something to get his name back into the spotlight with his album coming up. What Carly doesn’t know and will never know, Aaron almost proposed at Christmas.” Nick explained.
“Oh my god that is fantastic.” Brianna exclaimed.
“You would think so wouldn’t you? Carly doesn’t believe Aaron or I.” Nick replied.
“They’ve been going out for a while haven’t they?” Brianna asked.
“Yeah 2 years officially but known each other for 5 years. She was in a relationship with someone else.” Nick informed her.
“Has she given an answer?” Brianna asked.
“She hasn’t said anything. Aaron’s pissed off, she’s confused and she doesn’t know on what to say and do.” Nick replied.
“Do you think she will say yes, now or down the track?” Brianna asked.
“I reckon she will. They have been through a lot and shit. I think it just came as a complete shock and she didn’t know how to react. It will all be alright in a few days.” Nick replied.
“That’s good. Poor Aaron.” Brianna remarked.
“I think by morning, things will be fine.” Nick said.
“Let’s hope so.” Brianna agreed.
“So anyway, now to you...what’s this thing you are gonna tell us tonight? Why can’t you tell me first?” Nick asked changing subject.

“I only want to say this once as I don’t really want to talk about it. I do want to tell you but I didn’t know on how we were going in our relationship to tell you this. This has all been a whirlwind. It’s only been a few months. I just....” Brianna rambled on.
“Hey, hey, hey, it’s alright. I understand. Yeah I know it’s only been a few months properly that I have known you but it’s ok. If you don’t want to, that’s fine.” Nick said.
“No, I need to do it tonight. It needs to be told, especially if going out on tour and stuff like that.” Brianna told him.
“And AJ knows about this?” Nick inquired.
“Yes. Let’s drop it alright. Brian and Leighanne have Mark til they come over later on. Mark and Baylee were having fun when we got back so they suggested we spend some time alone. Have dinner together.” Brianna replied.
“Where you feel like going? I know a few good places.” Nick asked.
“You always know a few good places. I swear you would know where to go for some good food even in Australia.” Brianna joked.
“Actually seriously yeah I do.” Nick laughed.
“What you in the mood for?” Brianna asked.
“I’m actually in the mood for you.” Nick said getting up to where Brianna was at the dining table where local information on Chicago were, wrapping his arms around her from behind, kissing her neck and nibbling her ear.
“Me too.” Brianna grinned.
Chapter 17 by Ozbsbgirl
Around 8pm when Baylee finally tired himself out, Brian walked in carrying Baylee and Leighanne with Mark, sound asleep. Howie and Alex were already there chatting with Nick and Brian. Once Mark and Baylee were on the spare bed in the adjoining bedroom, Brian and Leighanne snuggled together on the sofa, Howie and Alex sharing the other sofa, Nick leaning against the kitchen bench and Brianna in front of a chair at the dining table.
“So what’s all this about?” Howie asked once everyone was settled.
“I’m only going to say this once. Howie, Alex, you can tell Leigh and Karen but whatever is said here, it doesn’t go beyond these doors.” Brianna replied.
“No problem.” Alex agreed.
“The reason why I haven’t quite been myself while we’ve been in Chicago is because of the fact that when I lived here, it wasn’t that good. Started after my parents died.” Brianna started to say.
“What happened?” Nick asked looking concerned.
“After my parents died, as I was only 15, I was placed into care. There was no other family so care was the only option. Being a teenager, no one wanted to have a teenager in the home, stereotypes, etc. After finally finding a home, things started to look up. But that was only the beginning of my troubles.” Brianna continued.
“Oh?” Howie commented.
“D.” Nick said.
“I knew things bad happened with people in care but I was blind to see that it was happening to me. I went from home to home and it continued this way. I was relieved when it was my 18th birthday. I could escape.” Brianna said, walking away to the window looking outside the Chicago night skyline.
“I thought I could escape but I truly couldn’t escape. It kept creeping up on me. It was controlling me. I crossed the line between right and wrong.” Brianna continued, sighing. Everyone not saying anything. Brianna had to be careful on what she was saying because she had to think of Alex. He understood.
“Right and wrong?” Nick asked.
“When I was in the homes, I was violated. I was abused, verbally and physically. You name it, I had it. I was even forced to have drugs.” Brianna quietly replied, not looking at anyone. In the corner of her eye, she noticed that Alex got up and was walking to her.
“I struggled to get onto my own two feet, I managed to get the job at a club and bring in an income and survive. Just. The income from the job at the club and another couple were overtaking my habit.” Brianna continued, no emotion from her.
“This one night, after a show, I was at the back of the club getting my fix. Coke. I was getting ready to have my fix when I first saw Alex.” Brianna sighed. Gasps from everyone.

“This is back when I was on it bad, just before rehab. Brianna and I got talking, she gave me her number. We actually became friends over the time and then lost in touch when I went in. The first time we came back to Chicago, I phoned her and we caught up. She too was clean like me. From there we remained friends.” Alex explained. No one knew what to say.

Howie had buried his head in his head rubbing his face trying to comprehend everything. Brian and Leighanne just held each other not knowing what to say. The only change Brianna saw in Nick was just his head tilted back further than what it already was and his lips pursed together. Alex was sitting next to Brianna their backs facing the window, waiting for something to happen.

“If you want me to leave, break the contract or whatever I understand.” Brianna said about 10 minutes later trying to break the silence.
“It’s alright. It’s ok. Just a shock with everything you have told us.” Howie spoke up, getting off the sofa, walking over to Brianna.
“I just didn’t want to tell you this way. I didn’t know when. I have been worried about this since day 1.” Brianna said.
“Bri, it’s ok. You have closed that chapter in your life. That’s over and done with. You and AJ have the daily battle still. You don’t need to leave.” Howie told her as he gave her a hug.
“Don’t.” Brian said, hugging her next.
“You have come a long way. I can understand on where you get your stubbornness and extra determination from. You are incredible to have come through all this.” Leighanne told Brianna, hugging, holding onto her tight.
“Nick?” Alex asked as Brian, Leighanne and Howie sat back down. Alex was still next to Brianna.

“What?” Nick asked.
“A answer would be nice man.” Alex said.
“Alex, it’s ok.” Brianna interjected.
“No it’s not ok.” Alex replied looking at Nick seriously.
“We better get going. Got early start in the morning.” Brian cut in. One by one they left, leaving Nick and Brianna alone.

“Please Nick. I was more scared telling you more than anyone.” She pleaded.
“It’s ok. I am just one that when it comes to things like this, I don’t show my emotions that well. I am sorry. Just one of the things about me.” Nick replied.
“You don’t hate me or anything?” She asked.
“No, of course not. It’s alright. Really.” Nick said.
“Really?” She asked cautiously.
“Really.” Nick replied going over to her. He held her tightly.
“Thankyou.” She whispered trying not to cry.
Chapter 18 by Ozbsbgirl
On Valentine’s Day everyone was in London. Karen, Leigh and James met up with everyone at the hotel. Leighanne was true to her word, Brianna didn’t have to babysitting duties. Everyone had plans for the night but Howie and Leigh’s got cancelled as James came down with a horrible fever and stayed in their hotel room to be with James. Between everyone they surprised Howie and Leigh with a Valentine’s Day dinner in the room, candles, balloons, music, in their room. It was able to do be done while the guys had press and Leigh was spending time with Leighanne and Brianna with the kids.

Nick and Brianna went to the Millennium wheel. It was a clear London night, with a great bit full moon. After a fantastic dinner, they walked the London streets taking in the sights, Brianna in full amazement of everything.

“You know, everyone and I mean everyone is expecting me to change tonight.” Nick commented as they walked into their carriage of the Millennium wheel.
“You change? Ha!” She laughed.
“It’s true. They are thinking that because how much I have fallen for you and adore Mark that tonight will be the night.” Nick replied.
“Boy are they wrong.” Brianna joked.
“That’s what I told the guys. I just went online while you were getting ready and there is a poll on twitter, I think Brian started it, asking who thinks I’m gonna make the big step.” Nick said.
“BRIAN!” Brianna remarked.
“Yeah Brian. He would be the last to do something like that.” Nick replied.
“That’s what I thought.” Brianna agreed.
“Can’t a couple be just that? A couple who care for each other be together?” Nick asked.
“Exactly.” Brianna replied as she looked at the view.
“I do love you though.” Nick casually said.
“You what?” Brianna asked shocked.
“I love you.” Nick repeated. Brianna tried to get words together but she couldn’t get anything to come out.
“I love you too.” She managed to say after a few minutes. Brianna knew he did love her but he showed and told it in his own ways. She longed for him to say it.

“Do you think we should fool them?” Nick asked as they walked back to the hotel. They had an early start with media before flying back out to the US to start preparations for the tour starting in May in the United States.
“How so?” Brianna replied.
“Well they were expecting me to change tonight, you know, expecting an engagement. What if we were to give them the impression that we were engaged? I had changed?” Nick explained.
“Aaaah! I like the sound of that. But, they will ask for a ring. I know they will want to see my hand.” Brianna replied.
“Got that covered.” Nick told her, going into his right pocket of his jacket and getting a small box.
“You haven’t?” Brianna gasped.
“I have.” Nick chuckled.
“This is one of those commitment ones isn’t it? I know you aren’t one for marriage and all.” Brianna asked.
“What do you think?” Nick asked as he took her left hand and placing it on the ring finger.
“Oh my god! NICK!” Brianna squealed.
“I know it’s been a few short months, you and Mark are incredible. This is no pressure or anything. We don’t have to rush things but I love you both so much and I don’t want to lose you two.” Nick said.
“Yes, yes I will.” Brianna replied smiling, a few tears streaming down her face. As they hugged, snow began to fall around them.

“How’s he doing?” Brianna asked when they got back to Howie and Leigh’s hotel room to get Mark.
“Really good no dramas. The travelling got to him and he was out by 8pm. James wasn’t too far out. And his fever has come down.” Leigh replied.
“And your night?” Brianna asked.
“Fantastic. You guys sure know how to please us. We had a fantastic night.” Leigh replied.
“Want us to look after James for a few hours? Nick and I are going to stay up anyway. Only be a few hours before we’re up again.” Brianna suggested.
“Please! We are so exhausted.” Howie begged. Brianna carried Mark and Howie carried James and went back to their hotel room where Nick was packing their bags. Brian was talking with Nick.

“Brianna is that some new bling I see?” Brian commented when she took off her coat.
“Yeah, Nick gave it to me for Valentine’s Day.” Brianna said.
“Can we see?” Howie asked coming back out from the bedroom where the kids were sound asleep.
Brianna brought her hand up for them to see. Nick standing behind Brianna.
“Er, Nick. Great one but you do know it’s an engagement ring?” Howie commented.
“Yup, I know.” Nick replied.
“Did you propose to her?” Brian asked.
“Ah, yeah I did. I wouldn’t have gotten it if I wasn’t going to.” Nick replied.
“I....I thought....” Howie tried to get the words out.
“He had me fooled all night. I wasn’t expecting it or anything.” Brianna spoke up.
“So it’s a yes is it? Millions or billions of girls hearts are broken forever?” Howie asked.
“Ah, yup.” Brianna chuckled. There was congratulations and hugs from them.
“Once I’ve told the fam, then it will be known publically.” Nick said.
“Scouts honour.” Brian told him. Within an hour, the guys and girls had known and were celebrating with Brianna and Nick for a little while before they went back to their rooms.

By morning, Nick’s family had known about the engagement. Nick’s parents weren’t entirely thrilled it was so soon. As they were boarding their flight back to Los Angeles, Nick decided to send a tweet out in the mysterious way as he does. “Some changes are gonna be happenin soon.” He sent out.

“You realise everyone is going to be thinking good and bad?” Alex commented.
“Yep.” Nick laughed as they boarded the plane, Mark on Nick’s shoulders.

Arriving Los Angeles they were flanked by the media wanting to know what was going on after what Nick had sent out. Mark got scared by everyone there, Baylee was unsure. “Alright guys. We aren’t going to get special treatment so we got a plan.” Alex told everyone.
“What’s that?” Nick asked holding Mark.
“We can handle ourselves. We’re gonna get security to take the kids and meet us at the cars.” Alex told them. There was some security for them. They all had cleared customs and got their bags and were ready to walk out. The kids were going last so when they got to the cars, which were out the front of the airport waiting for them, when they got there they wouldn’t be scared.

Mark and James were crying when they got to the car. Mark snuggled into Brianna, Nick’s arms around them. James just wanted Howie. “Shouldn’t have done that.” Nick muttered.
“We weren’t to know it was going to be like this.” Brianna tried to assure him.
Chapter 19/Final Chapter by Ozbsbgirl
It was the start of the tour. The first show was in Orlando, working their way up and down the United States before heading to Canada. Brianna was the only girl on the tour. Karen was having a hard time with the pregnancy with morning sickness. Leighanne was busy with work and Leigh needed to stay home while their place was being renovated.

No wedding plans had been made. Brianna didn’t want to make any while they were in tour mode. Alex and Karen were having their wedding after the baby was born.

At the same time when Nick and Brianna announced their engagement, Aaron and Carly announced their engagement. Media thought it was a co-incidence that both Nick and Aaron announced their engagements at the same time but both denied many times that this wasn’t the case. Aaron did propose earlier but didn’t want to let everyone know immediately.

The only thing that Nick and Brianna agreed on for their wedding was that it would be a small thing. Small wedding but when Brianna added the “close family and friends” it was going to be a big wedding.

As the girls weren’t coming on the tour, Nick suggested that they hire a Nanny for Mark. Brianna felt as though she wouldn’t be able to concentrate much on the tour while she was working and having Mark with someone looking after him while she was working that wasn’t having continuing contact. Mark’s Nanny was employed on the understanding that whenever Nick and or Brianna were free and during travel that they would have Mark. On the few shows that Leighanne was able to come out for during the tour, Leighanne looked after Mark during the opening of the show while Brianna was on. This let the Nanny, Melissa be able to enjoy a show or two.
End Notes:
Stick around for Part II in this series. Thankyou so much for reading
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10019