Misfortunate Heart… by summer03
Summary:


Even the wealthy have misfortunes. Sir Alexander James was the example of such, having lost his wife and only sister. He now lives for his niece and has not been able to find anyone else to replace his wife. But just as misfortunes come so do blessings will the arrival of a new person to his Estate be just that?
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Group
Genres: Alternate Universe, Drama, Historical, Humor, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 8817 Read: 15217 Published: 06/04/10 Updated: 10/28/11

1. Chapter I by summer03

2. Chapter II by summer03

3. Chapter III by summer03

4. Chapter IV by summer03

5. Chapter V by summer03

6. Chapter VI by summer03

7. Chapter VII by summer03

8. Chapter VIII by summer03

9. Chapter IX by summer03

Chapter I by summer03
Author's Notes:
Ok since I keep coming back to this idea in my head... I had to do it. Yes another historical story... I would love for you opinion... It's quite different to Summer Romance but it does take place in the same time, the 1800's. Hope you enjoy and I would love your feedback!

******
I was brought up in an orphanage where discipline was the number one rule. I had no friends and learned to live with the most simplest of commodities. Well I had one friend who I lost when she died of typhoid fever leaving me all alone.

I wanted to leave this wretched place as soon as I became of age. For one I could not stand our guardian a very horrid pompous man that only was good to discipline us all. I knew I would not stay long after I turned of age and soon began to advertise myself as a governess. The only thing I was grateful of learning in the orphanage, I knew French, German and everything needed to be a governess.

I was blessed when I received the letter from Sir Alexander James of Longborn asking for my service. I obliged right away and was set to have a carriage come for me. I have not been out of this orphanage except for church and that was only a mile away in Hartford.

I was glad to leave this place and after some research in maps I realized that Longborn was a very big estate outside of Lime. I was going to be far away from this place and I honestly could not wait.

I said bid farewell to the people I learned to live with and was now on a two day Journey to Longborn were I would be the governess to young lady name Fanny Collins. I knew she was young and according to the letter a very stubborn spoiled girl that needed to be well bread.

I arrived at Longborn at midday and was greeted by the help. Lady Greta Potts was a very robust lady with a very inviting smile. She was the one to show me around and the one to apologize for Sir James not being present upon my arrival. “He is in London on business you see… but he did ask me to make sure you felt welcomed.” Mrs. Potts told me as she helped me get settled in my room.

I was still admiring the room it was nothing compared the orphanage I felt a little overwhelmed but I took a deep breath and calmed my nerves. The bed to me looked almost royal I almost did not want to sleep in it.

“Now,” Mrs. Potts told me bringing me back from my thoughts. “We do expect you down for Brunch and there you will meet Fanny… she is a very adoring child she just has not had a mother or any lady to bring her up right. I am sure you will help with that that is why Sir James hired you.”

I smiled and nodded as she walked out leaving me to my new room. I smiled as I realized that I really had been blessed and I was ready to explore Longborn it was quite grandiose.

*****

“Fanny I want you to meet Anne Phillips,” Mrs. Potts said as she held the hand of a young girl that looked no more than six years of age. “She is your governess and she will teach you how to present yourself as a well brought up young lady. Like Sir James wants you to be.”

“She is very plain Greta,” Fanny said as she eyed Anne.

“Well child she has just arrived today and has not had a chance to rest. Now need I remind you that you must be in your best behavior? Or Sir James will not get that pony you wanted.”

“Fine,” Fanny said bowing to Anne with a smirk. “I will oblige I was only commenting on her appearance.”

“Well Fanny do not worry about me you are the one that needs to stand out and that you shall. I will teach you many things from French to play the piano forte.” Anne told the young girl as she realized what the letter had meant about young Miss Fanny Collins.

“Well now that you have been acquainted why do we not head to the dinning table?” Mrs. Potts said smiling as she led the way.

*******

I knew had a lot to work on as I met the people that lived in Longborn. Fanny Collins was actually going to be hard to mold. I was also introduced to Robert James father of Alexander James who I still have to meet.

Mr. Robert James is quite ill and is only brought down to eat. He has a nurse by his side all the time a very quiet lady by the name of Jane Pierce. Aside from them the rest of the people here in Longborn are servants.

I had expected to be treated as a servant but learned that I was to dine and be at Fanny’s side at all times. I Anne Phillips now had a something new in my life. I had so many questions already and could not wait to have them answered. I was sure Mrs. Potts would be the one to answer them.
Chapter II by summer03
“Fanny,” Anne said impatiently as she watched her dance around in the study room. “If you do not come back and finish your math equations we will not go for the walk in the garden.”

“Oh please Anne do not take that from me, I will oblige and come here. Now again explain to me why you must do these equations. I just want to run free in the garden the air hitting my face.” Fanny said as she relentlessly took a seat beside her governess.

“Fanny a well brought up young lady knows how to do many things not only to trot around in the garden. Besides do you not want to impress your Sir James by being able greet him in French? I want you to show him your progress.” Anne said with a smile on her face.

“You know my uncle will not be back soon, most of the time he is in London or Lime or wherever. He detests being here you know, I think grand poppa and I are the only reason why he comes back to Longborn. He hates this place.” Fanny said as she got close to Anne.

“That is nonsense Fanny this place is marvelous I am sure he loves it.” Anne answered Fanny.

In the four days that she had been here she had learned many things about Longborn for instance, Fanny Collins was not Sir James daughter but niece.

She had heard about Sir James sister Georgiana dieing after giving birth to Fanny. Fanny had stayed with her father until her father Sir Charles Collins became consumed in gambling and as consequence lost his estate. After learning about Charles bad ways Alexander had gone to look for him and took Fanny away.

Alexander then was married to Victoria Dashwood who died of consumption only a year after marrying him. According to lady Potts Alexander became withdrawn and for quite sometime kept to himself in his room but after his cousin Howard Dorough from Norland Park came to visit he brought some life back to Alexander. He still had a dark side to him but he now went about his duties.

As well he is back to caring for his father’s health as for Fanny his dearest sister’s daughter. He has neglected himself and even though he does have female suitors he has not yet chosen one in particular, he tries to avoid them according Mrs. Potts.

To be honest Anne was curious to meet Alexander, one because she pitted him for his misfortune and because according to Fanny and Mrs. Potts he was very handsome indeed. Anne had yet to meet a handsome man.

*****

I was walking along the woods, I was actually trying to learn my way around Longborn. I still have to meet Sir James and to be honest I am excited from all I have heard.

I felt the first drop of what seemed to be rain so I had to cut short my walk and head back to Longborn. I had to admire it from the hill where I stood… it was quite a beautiful Estate.

I heard thunder or so I thought when I turned around and saw a large black horse approaching with full speed. I realized I was in the way and so I moved but my shoe got stuck with a rock and down I went. I did not come too till I smelled the strong smell of some sort on my nose. I was coughing hysterically as I came too. I adjusted my vision and saw Fanny and Mrs. Potts beside my bed with concerned looks.

“How did I get here?” I asked as I tried to sit. I groaned when I felt dizzy and so I lied back down.

“Well Miss Anne you were startled by Sir James horse and you fell hitting your head. Mr. James brought you back. He is truly worried about you, but the doctor said you will be fine it was more the scare.” Mrs. Potts told me her blue eyes looking at me with concern.

“How stupid of me,” I said with a groan when I heard someone else clear their throat.

“How do you feel Miss Phillips?” I opened my eyes and was met with a set of brown eyes full of concern. He did have a quizzical brow as he neared my bed, “I did not see you there till I saw you fall… I was trying to get to Longborn before the rain. I do apologize.”

“No need to apologize Sir… I was the one at fault. I am quite ungainly you see…” I said as I gave him a small smile.

“Well we shall leave you to rest, come along Fanny you still have to open your present.” I heard him say as Fanny jumped to his arms and he carried her away.

“Yes uncle let us see what you have brought me back from London,” Fanny said with excitement.

I groaned as Mrs. Potts continued to put a wet cloth on my head. What a nice introduction of my part… but one thing I did have to say even in my state, Sir James was indeed a very handsome man.
Chapter III by summer03
Author's Notes:
Yay finally a banner...hehe I tried. :)

*****
I woke up with a horrible headache, but I had duties. I got dressed and went to find Miss Fanny who I found sitting in the garden with Sir James. I smiled as I saw that he really did care for his niece. “Good morning,” I curtsied and smiled at Fanny who played with her porcelain doll.

“Good Morn,” Sir James said acknowledging me. I watched him clear his throat and stand up from where he sat with Fanny. “I must go I have business to tend to in Lime, I shall be back for Lunch. I would like to speak to you Miss Phillips after we eat, I will see in my study room I will make sure Mrs. Potts shows to it.” He told me in a very insipid tone and without more he walked away in haste.

“He seemed in a very amicable state just earlier,” Fanny said as she watched her uncle disappear.

“Well he is a very busy man Fanny…” I told her as I turned to look at her. “Now why don’t we start our first lesson?”

“I have no choice I have promised my uncle that I would be his pride by becoming a very proper lady he can show among London’s most important people of society. He has promised me to take me to London once I am eighteen.” I smiled at Fanny she was only six, she had a long way to go.

“Well then we shall start today’s lesson with Decorum.” I told her taking her hand as we walked back to Longborn.

*******

“Father,” Mr. James said as he walked into the dinning room kissing his father’s forehead. He handed one of his servants his hat and gloves as he walked to his chair not before kissing young Fanny as well. “How was your day my dear Fanny…did you learn anything from Miss Phillips?”

“I did sir, I learned more equations and Decorum. She is also teaching me how to play the piano forte sir… she plays like an angel she does uncle.” Fanny said excited.

Sir James only turned to look at his niece’s governess. She was plain and she seemed shy but at the mention of compliment for her playing a small pink shade was now forming on her bony cheeks. “Is that so? Well you must play for us Miss Phillips.”

Anne cleared her throat and took a deep breath, “Sir Miss Fanny is over stating my ability to play the piano forte… I am not as good as she says. I play rather well sir.”

“I would have to see for myself then, Fanny never lies to her uncle.” He said as he began to eat.

*******

“He is ready to see you,” Mrs. Potts said as she accompanied Miss Phillips to the master’s study room. “Miss Phillips can I ask a favor of you?”

“Yes of course anything,” Anne answered looking at the elderly woman with concern.

“You see Sir James is not the young boy I saw grow up here in Longborn. He has become cold to other people and he does not realize how hurtful his words could be. I ask of you to not be haste in judging him… his wife’s death and Mrs. Georgiana’s death have affected him deeply. Be patient and remember that he is rarely here so please promise me you will not leave if he scares you. He will come to acknowledge you and soon you will see the Alexander we see.”

“I have been through many things Mrs. Potts and I have no family so I should know how Sir James feels… need not to worry I will not get scared away easily.” Anne answered with a genuine smile. “Now shall we go we would not want him to get impatient do we?”

“No of course not, right this way.”

Anne sighed heavily as Mrs. Potts opened the door to where Sir James waited for her. “Sir James,” Anne said curtsying as she went into the large study room. Quickly her eyes went to the large portrait of a beautiful woman with the most greenest of the eyes almost emeralds they seemed with her beautiful red hair.

“Please do sit down and stop staring at my late wife like that. You can see why I keep it here…” Alexander said standing up from his chair and walking to his wife’s portrait.

“I do apologize sir but your wife was beautiful.” Anne said glancing down to her hands.

“I assume Mrs. Potts has talked to you about my life so I hope to have your discretion on that Miss Phillips. Now I have called you to instruct to you my expectations for you and my niece progress. I have agreed to pay you thirty pounds a year and expect for my niece to get the best education for that amount. I have supplied you with your own room and access to most of my estate. I say most because I do have one rule I forbid you the north part of Longborn…no one is allowed in the part of the estate. Do we have everything clear?”

“Perfectly understood sir.” Anne said standing up ready to leave.

“We are not finished Miss Phillips please sit.” Alexander said taking a seat in front of her. “I have something to say… I am not mean and I have nothing against you but you have to understand that my soul only bears anger and morns the loss of my wife as well as my sisters. I apologize ahead of time if I happen to hurt your feelings at some point.” Alexander said looking up his eyes meeting Miss Phillips eyes.

“Sir you have nothing to apologize about, I should know. I have dealt with such feelings when I know of no family and was raised by the hard hand of the man that ran the orphanage I called home till your letter came and saved me from it. I can only thank you for giving me such opportunity sir.” Miss Phillips gave him a smile and then sighed. “May I say something to you sir?”

Alexander smiled and only nodded as he heard her question. Somehow he did not feel anger at her forwardness and something about the way she stared at him gave him some peace of mind.

“As you have stated yourself Mrs. Potts has confided in me your tragic story…and sir I have learned that all this has happened five years ago. Do you not think as such you should move on? Do you think your late wife would want you to be like this?”

Alex stood up angrily and began to pace, “I have not asked for your opinion in this matter Mrs. Phillips…we are through talking you may leave! Now!”

Anne was startled and quickly she exited his study room. She did not how to take this sudden outburst from his part she was only trying to help his poor soul…Sir Alexander was only seven in twenty and still could find happiness if he would let go of his past she knew that.
End Notes:
ok here is chapter three let me know what you think.
Chapter IV by summer03
Lady Fanny Collins was very much progressing. So as promised on her seventh birthday her uncle gave her a beautiful white pony. Of course she did no know of this because to her and everyone else at Longborn Sir James was out in business.

“Do not move Fanny,” Anne said as she continued to finish the portrait she was doing for Fanny. “I am almost done…”

“I can not wait to show it to my grand poppa and of course Uncle Alexander when he gets home. I am sure he has forgotten about tomorrow. He will not be here for my birthday…” Fanny said a little sad.

“Oh, Fanny you Uncle is a very busy man. I am sure he will send you something.” Anne said as she continued to paint. “Now stop talking so I can get your nose right.”

******

“Good morning Miss Phillips,” Fanny said as she walked into her room.

Anne yawned and gave young Fanny a smile, “Good morning my dear Fanny, how are you this fine morning?”

“I am excited and I want to go to Lime!” Fanny said as she sat on the bed with a smile on her face. “We shall go… grand poppa has allowed me to in companionship of you and Greta of course. You must dress for the occasion miss Phillips, please do not wear grey it is such a depressing color. Do you not have a colorful dress?”

“Fanny I do not think grey is depressing but if you insist I will try to wear something with color.” Anne said smiling as she got up. “Now will you allow me to get ready?”

“Yes of course…” Fanny said as jumped in enthusiasm. “Do not be long Miss Phillips.”

Anne smiled at the young girl she was very smart and she had learned many things since she had arrived. But she had learned that her free spirit still dominated her… not that that caused any trouble not yet anyway. Maybe once she was of courting age her free spirit might cause a scandal. Especially since Sir James was never at Longborn after her talk with her he only stayed a day.

Since then she could count the times he was there. He was always there for very short visits and he barely made conversation with her. If he did he would only acquire about his niece’s progress.

She cleared her thoughts and went on with getting ready for this trip to Lime her first time away from Longborn since arriving. Yet she could not take Sir James face away from her thoughts. She felt for him he was a tormented soul and she wanted to see him happy.

******

Anne smiled at the reflection in front of her, she really never wore color. Grey just seemed to fit her better but she was going to delight Fanny especially today that she was turning seven. She walked down to the common room smiling when she saw Sir Robert sitting with Fanny by his side. He looked well today and Miss Pierce seemed to be smiling at his progress today.

Anne curtsied and smiled as she saw Fanny. “Miss Phillips you look very different.” Fanny said coming to her. “Green makes your brown eyes stand out right grand poppa?”

“Yes my dear Fanny…” Sir Robert managed to say giving the young governess a smile. “Miss Phillips I hope you enjoy Lime, a barouche awaits outside for you all.”

“I will I am sure Fanny will make sure I enjoy it. Will you be fine here all alone?” Anne asked the elderly man.

Sir Robert nodded and looked over to his nurse. “I will be fine Miss Pierce takes good care of me.”

“Miss Phillips, Fanny…” Mrs. Potts said as she walked in. “We must head out.”

Fanny took hold of Anne’s hand and they followed Mrs. Potts. They were about to enter the coach when the noise of horses and carriages stopped them. Fanny pulled away from Anne when she recognized her uncle. “Uncle!” she yelled as she ran to him he had just climbed off his horse.

“My dear Fanny,” Alexander said catching her in his arms. “Wow you have grown since I last saw you.”
“I am seven now!” Fanny said with joy.

“Indeed you are…”

Fanny turned as she heard the voice, “Sir Dorough!” She ran to the shorter man and hugged him. “My cousin here just bought me a pony and told me it was for a very beautiful lady in his life and he was very right. You look like your mother more and more as you grow my dear Fanny.”

“A pony?” Fanny smiled as she ran back to her Uncle. “Can I see it?”

“Well of course you can Percy has taken it to the stables.” Alexander said as he approached his cousin. “But first I want you to meet some friends that have come with us.”

“Friends?” Fanny said eyeing the coach.

“Yes,” Howard said opening the door and helping out a very pretty lady. “Fanny I want you to meet a great friend of my family as of your uncles. Lady Mary Carter.”

Fanny curtsied and smiled. “You are very pretty.”

“Fanny don’t make Miss Carter blush,” Alexander said as he smiled at her. “Miss Carter and her brother will be staying here at Longborn for a while.” He said finally seeing Mrs. Potts and Miss Phillips. “Mrs. Potts make sure you help Miss Carter.”

“Yes sir,” Mrs. Potts said as she approached the coach.

“Miss Phillips,” Alexander said bowing to her. “You look different today.”

“Yes uncle I made her wear color for once does it not help her look less plain?” Fanny asked.

“You do look different,” Alexander said and then he turned to face lady Carter and his cousin. “Cousin and Lady Carter I want you to meet my niece’s governess Miss Phillips.”

“Nice to meet you,” Miss Phillips said curtsying.

“Uncle I believe you said Lady Carter and her brother were going to be staying here. I do not see a Mr. Carter.” Fanny said interrupting them.

“Ah, well that is because my brother made a pit stop in Lime, we have a aunt that lives there.” Lady Carter finally said giving Fanny a smile.

“He will join us later today.” Howard said.

“So enough of this shall we go see the pony?” Alexander said smiling at his niece.

“Yes,” Fanny said as she began to walk toward the stables.

“Miss Phillips you may go your not needed today.” Alexander said with a serious tone. “I will be with my niece all day. You are free to go into town if you wish.” He said and then turned to follow everyone else.

Anne did not even get to say a word. She did not why but she felt hostility in the way Sir James had spoken to her. But why should she care it was her day off after changing back to her normal dresses she got her book and began to walk into the woods. Today she would spend it reading and enjoying Nature.
Chapter V by summer03
Author's Notes:
Ok I finally got the inspiration for this one, I can assure you this will start getting interesting now. Enjoy and leave me a comment... they really do help. :)
Anne grumbled as she heard the thunder. “Rain again,” she said closing her book. She gathered her belongings. She smiled as she saw Longborn from where she stood, “beautiful indeed… to bad it is a sad place.”

“Move out of the way!”

Anne gasped and tried to move away from the running horse heading straight to her. She lost her balance and fell to the ground, she was angry though who was that and why had he almost killed her!

“I am so sorry miss.” She heard the man who had managed to stop the horse. “Allow me to help you.”

“I can manage,” she said as she stood up and saw the young man pick he book up. “Thank you.” She said taking it from his hand. He vowed to her and she lost herself in his eyes. They were the blue as the sky when it was not covered in clouds that is.

Anne said curtsied as she jumped at the sound of thunder now louder than before. “I must head back…” she said and she took off running hoping to not get wet.

“Oh my Miss Phillips you are wet,” Mrs. Potts said as she ran into Anne.

“I will just go to my room and change…” Anne said as she saw how drenched she had gotten.

“Oh Miss Phillips Sir James requests that you join him and his guest tonight for dinner.”

Anne only nodded not liking that idea very much. “I shall come down for dinner.” She said as she climbed the stairs to her room.

*******

Anne gasped in surprise as the door to her room flew open and there stood an angered Mr. James. “How dare you not come down for dinner!” he said angered as he watched the young governess.

Anne was shocked at the way he had intruded into her room… “I must have fallen asleep Sir.” She stuttered suddenly afraid of him.

“Well I expect you down in ten minutes Miss Philips… at least to join my company for a well deserved tea.” He said still anger clear in his voice. “Ten minutes,” he announced as he walked out slamming the door.

Anne felt her tears as she begun to dress properly. “What a cold hearted man!”
*******

“Anne you made it,” Fanny said as she ran to her governess. “Will you play for me?” she pointed to the piano forte.

“I rather not,” Anne whispered only for Fanny to hear.

“Well Miss Philips finally joined us,” Mr. James said as he looked up from his game of cards with his cousin and another gentleman.

“Nicholas I want you to meet Anne Philips, Fanny’s governess.” He said as the tall blond man turned around and his smile widened.

He bowed to the young lady and chuckled, “I believe we are acquainted.”

Anne turned a shade of red as she recognized the man that had almost killed her earlier. She curtsied and smiled, “Nice to meet you.”

“Anne play for us.” Mr. James said as he looked up from his cards. Seeing the look his friend Nicholas was giving her. “Perhaps something to dance to?” he said.

“I do not play the piano forte well sir,” Anne said feeling the looks upon her from Sir James company.

“Nonsense,” He said pointing to the piano forte.

Anne obliged and began to play…

“I say you play quite well Miss Philips,” Sir Nicholas said as he approached Anne who was trying to concentrate on her playing.

“I do not believe such compliment from you sir, after all you come from a place where I am sure many fine ladies play the piano forte with perfection.” She answered annoyed by the young mans forwardness.

“I say they play well but there pride and manner they present themselves does not allow one to actually like it let alone stay in the room long enough to actually listen.” Mr. Carter said smiling at her.

“Carter,” Sir James said when he saw where his friend was. “Do come join us, Fanny would love to dance with you right Fanny?”

“Yes of course, he is a very handsome man,” Fanny said smiling toward him.

“I talk to you later Miss Philips.” He smiled at her and walked toward Fanny and Sir James.
Anne only smiled and tried to not look like she was furious, but she caught the look on Sir James face. He looked crossed about the smile she had given his friend. She turned and concentrated on the piano ignore the look she was getting from Sir James. She was really starting to detest him.
Chapter VI by summer03
Author's Notes:
here's the next bit. So just in case you've read my other historical story... I can assure you this one will have a happy ending. :) Enjoy.
That night Anne could not sleep so she was walking the quiet halls. She actually had been thinking about the possibilities of maybe advertising again. She was very angered at Sir James attitude toward her.

She gasped as she saw the shadow of someone. “Do not be afraid it is I.”

She sighed in relief as the tall man approached her. “Why are you not sleeping?” He asked her.

“I am having trouble sleeping, why are you up sir?” she asked Mr. Carter.

He gave her a smile as he stretched his arm to her and she took it cautiously, “I have a tendency of not sleeping well in other places aside from my own bed back in London.”

“I find that hard to believe sir, Sir James guest rooms are quite comfortable.” Anne said as they began to walk together.

“Well you might think of me proud for saying such, but it is true Miss Anne I cannot sleep in a strange bed.” Nicholas said as they made it to the kitchen. “Can I offer you something? Perhaps a midnight tea and Fruit cake?”

Anne laughed a little, “I do not believe you know where the servants keep everything.”

“Well we shall search then, you know I am quite capable of fixing my own tea.” He explained as he occupied himself searching the cupboards.

“So I see.” Anne said finding Mr. Carter’s company quite delightful after all. “How long do you know Sir James?” She asked as she watched him.

“Well if you must know… I met him through his former wife, we both fell head over heels for her but of course Sir James won fair and square. I could not be mad at that, she had chosen him. I ended up liking him too much as a friend to cut any ties with him… ever since then we have been close. I knew of him before because of Howard he his family has been acquainted with my family for many years now.” Nicholas explained as he smiled after finding what he needed to start the tea.

“She was very beautiful indeed.” Anne said remembering the portrait.
“Yes she was, you have seen the late Mrs. James?” Nicholas asked curiously.

“Yes once on a portrait Sir James keeps in his library.” Said Anne.

“Ah I see… she was very amiable and humble too. I believe she had more than Alexander and I after her.” he smiled as he remembered his past. “I feel for your master now, he seems to have lost his happiness. When she was alive he was so giddy and warm hearted. He never missed a ball or party… always showing off his beautiful wife.”

“I yearn to meet such man; the man I have met so far is full of anger. He has not but been maybe twice here since I arrived.” Anne said as she took a piece of Fruit Cake.

“Well I can assure you he is in there somewhere and hopefully my sister can bring that man back out.” Nicholas said smiling.

“Your sister?” asked Anne in surprise.

“Yes indeed Miss Anne, my sister has been in after my friend for quite a long time. Unfortunately he has no eyes for her, I tell her all the time but she sees none. She thinks her being here will finally get him to notice her.”

“What do you think Sir? Do you see any inclination toward her from his part?”

“None. But I cannot do more than to be here for her. But I must say I now have another good reason to look forward to our stay here.” He said staring at her.

Anne felt the warmth rise to her face as his piercing blue eyes met hers. “I think the tea is ready.”

“Oh yes,” Nicholas said turning to tend to the tea pot. “So Miss Anne I have talked so much about myself yet have not even learnt why you were up so late?”

“I could not sleep either.” She said as she gladly to the cup of tea. “I was actually analyzing my options. I might start advertising again… I have a feeling I might not be long.”

“I see,” Nicholas said sitting beside her. “May I ask why you feel such inclination?”

“I do not think I am ready to share that with you good sir.” Anne said as she took a sip of her tea. “I do have to say that I am enjoying your company sir. I have not had a good chat with anyone other than Fanny and Mrs. Potts.”

“Well I am very much enjoying your company Miss Anne. Very much indeed, I dare say I might get used to coming down to the kitchen every night for tea with you.” Said Mr. Carter.

“Please Mr. Carter do not talk nonsense I am sure you have had better conversations with people at court.”

“Nay Miss Anne they have to much caprice… with you the conversation is more humble and realistic. I have yet to hear you talk about acquiring some sort of splendid barouche or gun.”

“That would be silly to hear Miss Anne talk about acquiring such possessions when she is only a governess.” Sir James said walking in. “Pray Nicholas what are you doing up?”

“I could not sleep,” said he as he stood up. “Would you like a cup of tea?”

“I am fine thank you… I was walking by and heard voices. I fell asleep in the library, I am heading to my bed now. Miss Anne you should head back too… it is not proper for you to be here at such hours do you not think? Imagine what Fanny would think if she hears of this. I need for you to be a good example to my niece.”

Anne stood up and curtsied. “It was a pleasure Mr. Carter.” She curtsied to Sir James and walked away. She couldn’t help but think that he hated her, why would he insist in keeping her then?

This only made her decision to advertise more intense so as she entered her room she went to writing her advertising letter. The sooner she found a new home the better…
Chapter VII by summer03
"That sounded splendid,” Mr. Carter said as he walked into the room where Anne was teaching Fanny.

“Thank you,” Fanny answered as she smiled with delight. “Anne is quite the teacher.”

“Yes indeed she is,” Mr. Carter said smiling at Anne. “So when do you get a break Fanny?” he asked.

“Yes a break does sound delightful.” Fanny said jumping at the mention of a break.

“Fine Fanny you may go… I will see you here in half an hour!” Anne said smiling at the young girl.

“She is progressing I am sure Alexander will be proud of her.” Mr. Carter said turning to smile at Anne again. “Can I persuade you to a walk around the garden? It is nice outside no signs of rain.”

Anne smiled and curtsied, “I could use a walk.” She said as she took his hand heading for the garden. “Shall we ask your sister too?”

“Actually she is in Lime with Howard and Alexander.” Mr. Carter answered as they walked through the house and into the beautiful garden.

“Miss Philips!” Lady Potts yelled as she hurried toward them. “You have this it came in today.” She hand her a letter.

“Thank you Mrs. Potts,” Anne said taking the letter. “Mr. Carter do you mind if we postpone the walk?”

“I suppose I’ll leave you to your letter,” Mr. Carter vowed and walked away.

Anne took no time in opening the letter it had been three weeks since she had begun to advertise herself and one since she had gotten an offer in Hertfordshire to a Lady Russell. She had answered it and had now been waiting for answer.

******

Anne had canceled the rest of her classes with Fanny. She could not do it after having read the letter from Lady Russell. Now she was waiting for the retched Mr. James to arrive from Lime.

She had excused herself from dinner and had been quite rude to the only person she really liked so far apart from Fanny and Mrs. Potts. She knew she would have to apologize to him, Mr. Carter had no fault in what had occurred.

She heard the horses and the carriage so she wiped her tears. She grabbed the letter and walked down to have a word with Mr. James.

She was startled when she bumped into him. He had wrapped his arms around her so she would not fall. “Miss Philips you are the most ungainly person I ever met.” He smiled at her his eyes boring hers.

He had the most beautiful smile she thought as she looked at him. She then remembered why she wanted to speak to him, “May I please have a word with you.” She said pulling a way.

“Yes… my office.” He said as he removed his hat and gloves.

Anne followed him into his office. “I will make this short.” She said feeling uncomfortable in his office. She looked back to the portrait of his dead wife. She looked so happy, she wondered just how Mr. James would have been back then.

“Today I am in a wonderful mood Miss Philips take all the time you want,” he said as he poured himself a drink.

“I want to know why you sir had the audacity of writing to Lady Russell and give ill word of me?” she took to a deep breath and looked at him.

“Oh right I forgot about that!” he said still in a very good mood. “Well if I remember correctly Miss Philips we have contract, you are Fanny governess and you cannot go on advertising yourself. I should ask you why you so boldly decide to advertise yourself. Have I not given you food, a place to stay, and good commodities?” his voice suddenly became enraged.

Anne felt the tears coming down her face, “Yes you have sir… but your hospitality has been futile! I pray to say that a dog has more affection then you good sir! I feel unappreciated and I have not seen or heard of any praise for the work I have done with Fanny. I feel that you do not like my work so I have decided to go…”

“You cannot,” Alexander said. “We have a deal thirty pounds a year…”

“Yes we did and I have tried but I will not stay here another day! Keep your money!” Anne said curtsying as she walked out of the office.

“MISS PHILIPS!” she heard Mr. James scream as she ran up to her room. She did not waste time in getting her belongings.

********

“Please child I pray you wait till morn.” Mrs. Potts told her as she followed her out of the house.

“I cannot stay one more day here,” Anne said smiling at Mrs. Potts. “Will you give this letter to Fanny?”

“I will,” Mrs. Potts said as she took some money out of her pocket. “Here dear you might need this.”

“I cannot accept this from you…” Anne said refusing to take it.

“Yes you can,” Mrs. Potts put it in her hands. “You just have to walk two miles down the pathway and the post will pick you to take to Lime and from there where ever you want to go.”

“Thank you Mrs. Potts.” Anne hugged her and grabbed her one bag.

Anne began to her walk to the where she would take the post. She was homeless and didn’t know where she would go but she would not endure another day at Longborn. She turned to look once more at the place she had once thought would be her opportunity.

******
Chapter VIII by summer03
“Miss Philips.” Anne jumped when she heard her name.

She sighed in relief when she spotted the tall figure, it was Mr. Carter. “Mr. Carter.”

“I had to come to talk to you when I heard you were leaving Longborn. I know you may not know me well but I have come to appreciate our talks. Having said that I must confess that my feelings towards you Miss Philips are more than one of a friend, I would want nothing more than to make you my wife.” Mr. Carter smiled as he finally confessed his true intentions.

“I good sir can only say that I am honored to know that you have such feelings and apologize for feeling none toward you in such manner. Mr. Carter you are a well brought up man and as such you deserve the best… I am an orphan with no money or any acquaintance with importance. I am sorry to have to decline your offer and again extend to you my friendship. I only hope that you take it for you have been a great friend since I have met you.” Anne said feeling horrible as she saw the look of disappointment on Mr. Carter’s face.

“Am I not suitable for you? Miss Anne I will not care what anyone thinks of my choice in bride and I intend to make you the happiest woman in London and all England. But… I do understand and only wish that you do keep contact with me by letter. Maybe as our friendship develops you will get to see me in the way I see you.” Nicholas said handing her a letter… he vowed to her and walked away. He felt wounded but he understood and as a gentlemen he knew he should not persist for Miss Philips was young she might change her mind as she learned more about the world.

Anne put her hand to her heart feeling retched for what she had just done. But the truth was she did not feel anything more for Mr. Carter than one felt for a dear friend. So there she stood feeling mad at herself for making Mr. Carter feel sad and good about finally leaving Longborn.

Even if deep down inside she felt horrible. Something pulled her back to Longborn and she knew it was not only Fanny Collins. She was just to hurt to admit that deep down inside Sir James had in someway captivated her.

*******

Anne was tired as she crossed a hill, she had been walking for sometime. She had been dropped off by post just outside of Lime. She had decided to walk and was now regretting it. She had yet to find anyone or town.

She knew it was getting late and soon she would need to stop and rest. She held to her stomach that was pleading for food, that is when she saw the small house just down the hill.

As she walked faster she realized there were more houses, she smiled she had made it. She needed to find a job or somewhere to spend the night at the most. As she finally made it to the dirt path that led to the town she bumped to an old man.

“Good sir,” She curtsied before speaking again. “Will you happen to know help is wanted? I am a hard worker and will work for just a place to stay.”

“Young lady this town is no good for that, but if you walk down this road you will find the orphanage they might feed you.” He vowed as he continued his path.

She felt her heart break but for now she had no choice but ask for mercy at the orphanage. So she began her walk, her stomach still very demanding as they passed a bakery.

********

“Please do not cry,” Anne looked up to see a young woman looking at her. “Why are you so sad?”

“I don’t have anywhere to go and I have no more money to leave elsewhere,” Anne cried as she remembered the way the owner of the orphanage had treated her. “I can work I have experience in teaching.”

The young woman smiled and held out her hand, “Well first why do we not take you out of the rain…” she took her hand and together sharing the young ladies umbrella they walked down the dirt road. “I’m Grace Johnson, my sister, brother and I share a parsonage just up this road. It is not the very glamorous but it is warm and we love company.”

“Anne Philips.” Anne introduced herself as she continued to follow her. “Thank you.”

“Oh you do not have to do that,” Grace gave her a smile. “Look up there that is our home.”

Anne smiled it looked very cozy, “It is lovely.”

“Wait till you meet everyone.” Grace said as they made haste to get to the house.

Upon arrival Grace yelled, “Lydia, Robert, Mrs. Greene!”

“Goodness child you are soaked,” an elder lady said pausing when she saw Anne.

“Mrs. Greene meet Anne Philips… I found her crying in town. She might need a good meal…” Grace said looking toward Anne.

“Oh well hello child, I will get you a nice bowl of soup. But first you two must get out of that clothes.” She ordered.

“Yes we shall,” Grace said just as her brother and sister came from wherever they were. “Oh Robert, Lydia… I want you to meet Anne Philips.”

Robert vowed and smiled, “Where did you find her she looks exhausted.”

“In town she was crying… she has no place to go.” Grace said looking at Anne sympathetically.

“Well let us get her in some dry clothes and fed… for now.” Lydia said smiling at her.

Anne couldn’t be more grateful as Lydia lent her some of her clothes. Soon she was in the dinning room eating a very delicious soup with soft warm rolls.

*****

Sir James was in the worst temper since Miss Philips departure. That he had finally come t the conclusion that it would be best to send Fanny to London to a school. So he got the paper work ready for that.

Soon after her departure his friends had also left and so now he was trying to get everything ready for his own departure and of course Fanny. “Sir there is this man wanting to speak to you. His name is Mr. Kevin Richardson.” Mrs. Potts announced as she walked in his study.

“Well let him in…” He said in frustration and soon in came in a tall man with piercing green eyes. “How may help you sir?”

“Well Sir James I am here in a urgent matter from the man who hired me. I am a lawyer and good friend of Mr. William Johnson he has been in search of his long lost niece a young woman by the name of Anne Philips. She had been sent to an orphanage after his sister had passed away and he did not know till now that little Anne had survived. His wish now is to find her and let her know that she does have family. It is of urgency though because Mr. Johnson is bedridden with consumption and wishes to see her. As I began to trace his sisters whereabouts I came to the orphanage where Anne had been taken too… but I was told she was hired by you sir as a governess. I wish to see sir and ask for permission to go see her uncle.” Mr. Richardson explained.

Sir James smiled bitterly, “I hate to deny you such wish Mr. Richardson but had you come a few days earlier you would have found Miss Philips here. Now though I do not know where she is… she left this home and not in very good terms. I hope you find her for her uncle’s sake.” He stood up and vowed. “Have a nice day.”
Chapter IX by summer03
“Look there he is,” Grace smiled as she and Anne spotted Mr. Littrell.
 
The fair haired man vowed as he spotted the two women, “Miss Johnson how good to see you.”
 
Miss Johnson smiled as she looked at him with such admiration. “This is Anne Philips, she will make a wonderful professor for the children.”
 
“Nice to meet you,” Anne curtsied.
 
“Miss Philips I have heard that you have experience teaching. The Johnson’s have spoken well about you. If you follow me I will show you the school. I opened this school for the less fortunate children in town but, I am called upon back to town. A cousin of mine requests my assistance and so I need someone to tend to the children.” Mr. Littrell continued to walk to the small cottage near a bigger house. “You will be provided with a place to live right by the school and a salary of eight pounds a year.” They walked into the small cozy cottage and Anne sighed.
 
“It is quite cozy,” she said smiling as she looked at the chimney. “I will gladly take the job.”
 
“That is absolutely wonderful Miss. Anne you have no idea how I was regretting leaving this hopeless children without a place to get educated. I shall call upon the help to grab your belongings from the Johnson’s.” Mr. Littrell said excitedly.
 
“Oh this is such good news, see Anne the lord has heard our prayers.” Grace hugged her new friend.
 
“Excellent, I will show you the school now if you wish.” Mr. Littrell said just as happy as the two young ladies.
 
**********
 
“I do not want to go uncle,” Fanny said stubbornly to her uncle.
 
“Fanny I have no time for your foolishness your are set to leave to London first thing tomorrow morning.:” Sir James said annoyed with his niece.
 
“Why can you not get Anne back? I want Anne!” she cried running out.
 
“Greta please go find her and make sure she is ready for her departure to London. That boarding school is costing me a fortune so she must go.”
 
“Yes Sir,” Mrs. Potts said leaving her master alone.
 
“James,” Mr. Carter said walking in to find his friend very irate. “you alright?”
 
“No Carter my niece hates me for sending her to boarding school.” Sir James sighed heavily taking a seat. “Fanny wants Anne.”
 
Mr. Carter smiled at the mention of Anne, “James do you not think it would be best to bring her back?”
 
Sir. James smiled bitterly, “Anne hates me Carter she was quite clear on her dislike for me and the need to leave this place. I do not want to talk about this anymore. I truly believe Fanny will like her school.”
 
“Alright I have to say I am heading back to London tonight with my sister... I shall see you once you arrive.” He turned to leave but instead lingered at the entrance. “James have you thought why is it you are so frustrated?”
 
Sir James was about to answer when in came a distressed Mrs. Potts. “Sir! Sir, Fanny has fallen off her pony and is not responding.” She was in tears.
 
“How did this happen?” Sir James ran out and in search of her niece. Suddenly he felt he was at fault for what had happened. Had he not forced her to go to London she would have not run out and this would have not happened.

"I will go find a doctor," Mr. Carter said leaving right away.

**********

Anne smiled as she sat in her own home. Yet as she sat there she could not but think about her time at Longborn. She had to admit she missed Fanny and Mrs. Potts. As for Mr. James she could not care for but why was he in her mind?
End Notes:
it's short but the next one will be better.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10105