Seven Days by evergreenwriter83
Summary:
Photobucket


Nick Carter had the perfect life. The perfect wife. The perfect family. He was living the dream.

Aaron Carter had made a lot of mistakes. Met the wrong people. Did the wrong things. Thanks to his brother Nick, he had spent almost seven years in prison. Escaping from prison was just another wrong... It was time for revenge.
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group, Nick
Genres: Action, Adventure, Drama, Suspense
Warnings: Child Abuse, Death, Violence
Challenges:
Series: The Coaster Series
Chapters: 18 Completed: Yes Word count: 20934 Read: 52054 Published: 08/15/10 Updated: 08/24/10
Story Notes:
Winner: Best Novella - 2010 Felix Awards

Runner Up: Best Thriller/Suspense - 2010 Felix Awards

Runner Up: Most Creative Storyline - 2010 Felix Awards

1. Chapter 1 by evergreenwriter83

2. Chapter 2 by evergreenwriter83

3. Chapter 3 by evergreenwriter83

4. Chapter 4 by evergreenwriter83

5. Chapter 5 by evergreenwriter83

6. Chapter 6 by evergreenwriter83

7. Chapter 7 by evergreenwriter83

8. Chapter 8 by evergreenwriter83

9. Chapter 9 by evergreenwriter83

10. Chapter 10 by evergreenwriter83

11. Chapter 11 by evergreenwriter83

12. Chapter 12 by evergreenwriter83

13. Chapter 13 by evergreenwriter83

14. Chapter 14 by evergreenwriter83

15. Chapter 15 by evergreenwriter83

16. Chapter 16 by evergreenwriter83

17. Chapter 17 by evergreenwriter83

18. Chapter 18 by evergreenwriter83

Chapter 1 by evergreenwriter83
Photobucket


Chapter One - March 8

"Hey daddy, do you know what next Thursday is?"

I glanced in the rearview mirror and smiled. Noah had his eyes crossed and was intently staring at his nose. Brooke was bouncing in her seat, her blonde pigtails flying in the air, barely containing her excitement.

"Next Thursday? Hmm..." I grinned. "Oh yeah!"

I saw her eyes light up.

"It's National Peanut Cluster Day!" I said happily.

"DADDY!"

"It's her birthday!" Noah said. Brooke leaned over and poked his arm. He gave her a poke back.

"Guys, knock it off!"

Brooke turned her attention back to me. I turned my attention back to the road.

"And you know how old I'm gonna be?"

I bit the inside of my lip. "Hmmm...let's see. I think you're going to be seven."

"That's right! I'll be seven and NoNo will be six!"

I glanced back in the mirror. Noah looked at her with an unmistakable glare.

"Don't call me NoNo at school!"

I stifled a laugh. The horrors of a nickname.

My name is Nick Carter. I've traveled around the world, raced boats at break-neck speeds, been a part of one of the best selling bands of all time...

And I loved driving my kids to school.

Brooklyn (six, almost seven--thank you) and Noah (just turned six) were enrolled at one of the best private schools in Tampa, Tampa Prep. Brooke was a bubbly, bright first grader and Noah was a smart, thoughtful kindergartener. I think I scored brownie points for both of them on Parent-Teacher conference day. Who knew Backstreet Boys fans grew up to be teachers?

I slowly pulled behind the other cars dropping off their children and turned around. Brooke already had her seatbelt undone.

"Have a good day at school. Be good. Eat your lunch. You have money for one cookie each. Noah, don't make any bets to try to double up. Give me a kiss."

Brooke leaned over the seats and gave me a loud smack. She grabbed her backpack.

"Love you daddy! Remember...seven days!"

I laughed. Noah leaned forward and kissed my cheek.

"Bye daddy. See you this afternoon."

I watched him scramble out and run after Brooke. He hated being in her shadow and yet he didn't want to stray too far. I watched as they made their way inside the building. I waved at the teacher at the door. As I pulled away, I swore that she fanned herself.

Now on a typical day, I would go home, write a few songs, walk the dogs, and just enjoy the day. Sometimes I would take our youngest daughter Peyton (age four...and a half) to the library for storytime. She always enjoyed curling up on my lap and twirling a piece of her long brown hair around and around her finger as she listened to the best storyteller in the world...

Her mom.

Liv had been volunteering at the library. Her years of working for peanuts at a library in tiny-town Wisconsin had allowed her to worm her way into the hearts of the children's librarians at the Tampa Public Library.

She was just good like that.

But today was different. Liv was at home with Pey, no doubt making something amazingly good for dinner.

And I was on my way to the studio.

It had been six years since the Backstreet Boys had released any new music. With so many children between the five of us, we had decided that a break was in order.

The break was over.

It's funny, but even when life takes all of us in completely different directions, it always brings us back again. We had been back in the studio a week and there was so much creative energy flowing that I was pretty sure someone should hang a BioHazard sign on the recording studio door.

Truthfully, I don't think there was a better time to get back together. Most of our kids were in school (or, in Brian's case, homeschooled). The days of tons of little babies with wet or dirty diapers were behind us.

At least for most of us.

"Molly offered to be room mother for Ally and Joe's field trip to the zoo," AJ was explaining as I flew through the door.

"You're late," Kev said. I tried to look apologetic.

"Sorry, drop off line was long this morning."

I glanced over at AJ. He looked like he had a bomb strapped to his chest. In reaity, it was just a front and back baby sling.

"You brought the boys?"

"Molly's busy," AJ said. "Can you take Tristan from the back? I'm going to put them down in their bassinets so we can get some work done."

I walked behind him and scooped up a pudgy little guy with crazy curly red hair and brown eyes that oozed with attitude.

"Hey buddy," I said.

AJ lifted a dark haired boy from the front and wiggled out of the sling. He made a face.

"Jesus Brayden, how can you crap so much?"

I grinned. Tristan was still smelling baby powder-y. I was safe.

"So when you having some more?" I teased. AJ gave me a look.

"The shop is closed. Molly's oven only bakes things in two's."

Bri snorted. I followed AJ out to the outer room and put Tristan down in the bassinet. He stretched out and yawned.

"They're like little six month old sumo wrestlers," I said.

"It's baby fat," AJ quipped. He put Tristan down on the couch and stripped him down. "I wish Shelby still had some of that baby fat."

I grinned. "How's Lil' Red doing?"

"She's eleven going on twenty-one. She came downstairs this morning wearing a skirt so short that a strong wind would have torn it right off."

I laughed. "Sucks to be you."

AJ smirked. "Just you wait. Your day will come."

I didn't want to think about it.

After a diaper change, AJ and I headed back in the studio.

"Are we ready?"

Kev held up a finger. He was on the phone.

"Are you sure? Yes, I know you're a professional when it comes to chicken pox. Tell Daniel I love him. Okay, love you too. Bye."

Kev closed the phone and looked up.

"Now we're ready."

We jumped into the music. There were no expectations that we were going to make a platnium record. There was no wish for girls to beat down our doors or rappel off our roofs. This was just five guys getting together for the sake of music.

"So we're not singing about booties. At all," Brian said. He held up a song in question.

"We'll leave that to Baylee," I teased. Bri smiled.

"He's more interested in following his dad's footsteps I think," Bri said lightly.

"So when he puts out an album are you hoping it will go triple myrrh?"

Bri just looked at me. AJ laughed.

"I saw that episode of South Park last night too. It was on Nick @ Nite. You know when they play South Park on there that we're doing the slow march to our graves," AJ said with a sigh.

"Don't worry Jizzle. You have five kids that might take you in once you can't feed yourself," Bri teased.

"Yeah, I feel bad for all of you fools. All forty and crusty and stuff," I said.

"Your day's coming," Howie said. He looked over at Kev and they grinned.

"I am going to be far, far away from you guys that day," I said. It was two short years away. I didn't want to think about it. For all the grief I gave the other guys...

They'd probably end up burying me alive.

After a little more good-natured ribbing, lunch, and AJ breaking for a feeding and diaper change (for the babies, not himself - haha), we got back to work.

My cell rang about an hour before I needed to leave to pick up the kids. It was Liv. I smiled. Her voice was always a welcome break.

"Hey, sexy. What you cookin me--"

"Nick?"

I could hear the panic in her voice. I leaned forward, frowning. Howie gave me a curious look, but I just turned.

"Liv what's wrong?"

"You need to come home. Please come home."

"What? What's wrong? Did something happen to Pey?"

The sobs were coming fast. Liv was losing it on the other end. My pulse spiked.

"No it's Brooke. She's...been kidnapped."
Chapter 2 by evergreenwriter83
Photobucket


Chapter Two

I don't remember the drive home. All I could hear was Liv's voice over and over again in my mind.

"She's missing."

Missing...

Missing...

Two squad cars and an unmarked were parked outside of the house. I swung the car up on the curb at an angle and jumped out.

Everyone was gathered in the living room. Peyton was hiding behind the couch. Noah was sitting in my big La-Z-Boy chair bawling.

"NICK!"

Liv's arms wrapped around my neck and I thought for a moment that I was going to die from lack of oxygen. She pressed her soggy face into my shoulder and began to sob.

I couldn't cry. I felt numb. I looked at the men gathered in the room and let out a sigh of relief when Liv's stepfather Mike came forward.

"Nick, this is Henry Olsen. His dad and I were partners for years."

Mike was FBI. If the FBI was already involved...

Henry held out his hand I shook it. I could barely feel my fingers.

"What's going on?" I croaked. By this point I was holding Liv up. Her knees were no longer supporting her body. I prayed that after I learned what was going on that I wouldn't crash to the floor with her.

"There was a prison break this morning. Five men escaped. One of them was your brother."

It was like someone had hit me dead on in my chest.

"Aaron?"

"Our current reports indicate that soon after the break, Aaron highjacked a car. Brooke was abducted from the school playground at 2:15 this afternoon and put into a car that matches the description of that stolen vehicle."

I felt Noah's eyes on me. Large tears dripped off of his chin. He took a big shuddery breath.

"I tried...to bite him. But he wouldn't...let her go," he gasped. "Daddy, I'm sorry."

"Did he hurt you?" I asked. Noah shook his head.

"I ran away and screamed for help. J--j--just like you told me to do if I s-s-saw a stranger."

He sucked up a huge noseful of snot and pulled his knees up to his chest.

I glanced back at Henry.

"Why hasn't anyone found him yet?"

"We have an Amber Alert out and we have Tampa Police and FBI on the case. We're following any leads we can get."

It wasn't good enough. Nothing was good enough. I thought back to this morning. Brooke's noisy little kiss and her pigtails flying behind her as she ran up to the door...

The ringing of the phone broke through my thoughts. Everyone's eyes landed on the handset.

"We have a trace on the phone. Nick, go ahead and answer it. If it's Aaron, keep him on the line as long as possible."

I gently let Liv sink to the floor. On the third ring I picked up.

"Hello?" My voice was shaking.

"It's been a long time."

I closed my eyes. It was Aaron's voice, but it was a voice full of malice.

"Aaron, why are you doing this?"

The laugh that came through the line was husky, dark.

"Do you hurt Nick? Does it kill you not knowing whether she's dead or alive?"

I felt like I was going to vomit. A bead of sweat dripped down the side of my face.

"Aaron, I swear to God if you hurt a hair on her head--"

"She's very pretty. I know quite a few people that would like her."

"Aaron, I--"

"DADDY!"

I heard a click and the phone went dead. The last thing I heard was Brooke's scream. The phone fell from my hands and crashed onto the floor.

"He's got her," I gasped. "He's got her."

"It wasn't long enough," Henry said. "I couldn't get a trace."

I slowly turned and the cops stepped out of my way. Little white spots danced in front of my eyes as I made my way to the bathroom.

The moment I closed the door, I fell to my knees and heaved.

----------------------------

Two hours later, the phone rang again. Liv's mom was taking care of Noah and Peyton upstairs. Liv and I sat side by side on the couch, our knees touching. We couldn't speak...could barely breathe. The ringing of the phone was the only thing to snap me out of the hell I was sinking into. Henry nodded towards me and handed me the phone.

"Hello?"

"Twice in one day. This is nice."

"Aaron, please don't do this."

"Don't worry. We won't have to play the game long. If you follow the rules you get her back. If you don't..."

I clutched the phone with both hands. I was so afraid I would drop it. I couldn't lose my only connection...

"What do you want?"

Aaron laughed. It was the same manic laugh from earlier.

"Well, mostly I want you to feel like you're dying inside. How am I doing so far?"

My jaw felt like it would crack under the pressure.

"Aaron, you can't harm an innocent little girl," I reasoned.

"Or can I? Let's stop jacking around. I know you've probably get me tapped. I want money. I want five million dollars. You have seven days. For each day you waste, I'll add another demand. If you can't pay up, then your little girl goes bye-bye. Got it?"

"GOT IT?"

I licked my lips. I tasted the burning salt from the tears.

"Got it," I whispered.

"I'll call tomorrow. Just to check on your progress. Want to say goodnight to your ladybug? That's what you call her, isn't it?"

I let out a shudder. Henry was counting down. He was zeroing in on a connection and--

"Oops, I think you took too much time to answer. No goodnight for you. Sweet dreams, bro."

The line went dead. Henry pounded the table.

"FUCK! Two seconds short."

I felt a hand wrap around my wrist. Liv was looking up at me with sunken, terrified eyes.

"Is she okay?"

I had no clue if she was okay. But I nodded. For Liv's sake.

"She's okay."

If only it were that simple.

----------------------------

Liv fell into a state of utter exhaustion around three in the morning. I paced the house, my hand scupped over my mouth.

"The demands?" Henry finally asked.

"Five million dollars. If I don't get it by tomorrow, he'll keep adding demands."

"He's going to screw up before then. He's not a criminal mastermind."

"He's got my little girl and he's nuts. That's enough to make me want to act quickly," I said.

"I think you need to try to get some sleep. In the morning, we need to start brainstorming and making lists of people that might have any contact with your brother or who might be able to provide a little insight."

I glanced up at the starless sky. Somewhere out there my little girl was tucked away, whether in the trunk of a car or a building, I didn't know.

But what I did know was that I had to find Brooke. And when I did, so help me God, Aaron was a dead man. I wasn't going to rest until the last breath left his body.

He had picked the wrong person to mess with.
Chapter 3 by evergreenwriter83
Photobucket


Chapter Three - March 9

"How could he do this? How could he fu--fudging do this? Logan don't pick your nose!"

Angel, Liv, and I were huddled around the kitchen table. I was trying desperately not to look at the clock. The second hand was driving me nuts.

Angel's son, Logan was sitting cross-legged on the floor playing a video game with Noah. Peyton was nearby playing with a giant tub of Legos.

And my Brooke was...

I didn't know. And that's what hurt the most.

"If he's called mom, she won't tell us," Angel said. "You know she wouldn't rat out her baby."

I had a list of possible people he might contact. So far all I had was mom, BJ, and Leslie. Angel was too close to me; Aaron wasn't that stupid.

Liv had one name on her list. Henry was working on the lead. I kept glancing down at her paper in utter distaste.

Hunter.

Every time the phone rang, I had expected it to be Aaron. So far I had talked to Brian, Kev, Howie, and AJ. They each asked what they could do.

I didn't have an answer.

"I've got some information for you."

Liv looked up. Henry held one sheet of computer paper.

"Hunter was released two years ago. He currently resides in a trailer park in St. Paul, Minnesota."

I looked at Liv. I had to admit I was surprised. Hunter had been out for two years and we had no idea. He had left us alone.

"Do you have a phone number?" Liv asked.

"We have a current number as of two months ago."

Liv took a deep breath. "I want to call him."

"Liv..."

She looked at me. "He might not have been involved with Aaron for long, but he might know something."

"She's right," Henry said. "Put your cellphone on the table. I want to hook up a recording device."

Liv took out her phone and set it on the table. Henry attached a small circular object and handed it back.

"We're good to go."

Liv glanced at the sheet of paper and dialed the number. Angel and I leaned forward reflexively. Liv closed her eyes. She seemed to be drawing on some type of inner strength. I saw her face tense up.

"Hello, Hunter. It's Olivia."

There was a pause.

"This is about Aaron. He's kidnapped my daughter."

There was a longer pause. Liv motioned for a pen. My chair made a loud screeching noise as I scooted back. I grabbed a pen from the refrigerator and handed it to her. She pressed the tip against the paper.

"Did he ever mention a name? Or names? A favorite place?"

Liv began to write. Finally she set down the pen and sighed.

"You can't take back what you did, but this means a lot to me. Thank you."

Liv hung up and rubbed her eyes. When she pulled her fingers away, I saw the wet stain of tears. I touched her hand.

"Liv?"

She turned towards Henry and held up the paper. "Here are the names he mentioned. Aaron liked conducting most of his business in Cozumel. His connections were based out of Nepal."

"Business?"

Liv didn't turn towards me.

"Human trafficking."

----------------------------------

The phone didn't ring again until seven o'clock. By that time, Angel had taken Logan home. Noah and Peyton were curled up on either side of Liv on the couch. She was reading a story, trying to keep some normality, but everyone looked at the phone the moment it started to ring. I grabbed it up after the first ring.

"Hello?"

"Day one's almost over. Do you have my money?"

I glanced over at Henry. He shook his head.

"I--I didn't manage to get it."

Aaron clicked his tongue. "That's too bad. Isn't it Brooke?" There was a pause. "ISN'T IT?"

"Daddy? Daddy, I want to come home!" Brooke wailed. There was a loud noise that sounded like a hard hand slapping soft flesh and then there was her unmistakable scream. I dug my nails into my arm and doubled over.

"Don't hurt her," I gasped.

"What? What was that? Don't hurt her? Well that will cost five million. And a private plane. Night, night."

The line went dead. I moaned.

"A plane. He wants to get out of the country," Henry said out loud. Liv glanced over at me.

"Nick?"

I shook my head.

"Liv, I think it's bedtime for Peyton and Noah."

"But, I'm not tired!" Peyton complained. She looked up at Liv. Noah didn't argue. He slid off the couch.

"Is Brooke coming home?" he asked quietly. I felt his small hand on my shoulder. I looked up; I couldn't keep the tears from falling.

"I'm going to do my best, buddy."

He kissed my cheek and Liv brough Pey to me for a kiss goodnight. As soon as Liv left the room, I looked at Henry.

"He slapped her," I choked.

"If he's asking for a plane, that means he's still in the country. The car he stole was found in some marshland south of here. We strongly believe he's headed to Key West."

Henry must have noticed the look on my face. He shook his head.

"You're not going to Key West. This whole family is under FBI protection."

I feigned surprise. "I wouldn't dream of leaving my family right now."

----------------

"I'm calling in a favor."

I was sitting in the attic on my old cellphone that I knew wasn't tapped.

"Name it, Nick," Bri said.

"I need you to go down to Key West and keep your eyes open for Aaron."

"What?"

"The FBI agent said they suspect he's heading to Key West. They're watching me like a hawk and I can't leave. Can you call the others and see if they can go with you?"

"Of course. How are you holding up?"

I felt like curling up in a giant man-ball and sobbing like a baby. Instead I let out a shaky breath.

"Not well, Bri. Not well."

"I'm going to call the others. We'll pick the place apart."

"Thank you."

"We'll call if we find anything."

I hung up and leaned back. My back was being supported by Brooke's old crib.

I remembered the day that I had bought the crib. I dragged Liv to an outrageously expensive baby store where one little sleeper cost more than half of the t-shirts in my closet. Even though Liv told me I was nuts, I still remember how she had run her hands along the crib like it was made of solid gold. The crib was a beautiful light honey; the gentle curves reminded me of a sleigh.

I remembered all the sleepless nights Liv endured and how baby Brooke had hated being put on her back. I closed my eyes and pictured her tiny little body on my chest, her gummy smile making me melt like only a daughter could do.

There was no way I was going to make it through seven days of this. I got up and dusted off my jeans.

I prayed that I would pick up the phone tomorrow and hear Brian telling me that they had found Aaron. That Brooke was safe and sound and coming home. I wanted to tuck her into bed tomorrow night and cover her face in kisses and tell her over and over that she was safe and loved.

Oh, was she loved.
Chapter 4 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Four

-- AJ --

"Give it back!"

"I NEED IT!"

"I NEED IT MORE, PIPSQUEAK!"

"WHAT'S GOING ON?"

I was trying to pack and there was a war erupting in the hallway. I poked my head out of the bedroom.

Joe was holding a roll of toilet paper like a football. Shelby was darting left and right trying to get it from him.

"Why are you two fighting over toilet paper?"

Shelby paused and Joe ducked under her arm and locked himself in the bathroom. I heard the slam of the toilet lid hitting the tank. When Shel straightened up, I realized why they were fighting over the shitter paper.

Shelby was wearing an old sparkly purple shirt, but it was obvious that she had snuck a bra on underneath. The right side of her chest was completely flat. The left side was Pam Anderson.

"What are you doing? Get that stuff out of..." I waved my hand. "there!"

"But, dad you don't understand!"

"What don't I understand?"

"They're not growing!"

"You're eleven!"

Shel reached down and pulled out wad after wad of paper.

"I'm going to grow up and look like a man!" she wailed.

"Are you going to grow a mustache?"

Ally leaned out of her doorway. She had Ro's natural skinny build, dark black hair and brown eyes she hid under a heavy fringe of bang.

"You're not helping!" Shelby said. Ally darted back into her room.

"Shelby, what are you bellowing about?"

Molly had Tristan pressed up to her chest. I saw his little cheeks working fast. His breastfeeding days were running out. Soon he'd have to eat food like the rest of us. My eyes went to the little sliver of skin I could see.

I loved boobs.

Molly looked at the wads of toilet paper. She sighed.

"Honey, what are you doing?"

I left the two to have a mother-daughter chat and ducked back into the room. A pair of boxers, a quick change of clothes and I was done. I checked my phone. I had a text message.

Kev was on his way to pick me up.

Bri, Howie, Kev and I were headed to Key West to look for Aaron. It was the stuff nightmares were made of. He had taken Brooke...

I didn't want to think about life without any of my children.

Even half-boobed Shelby.

---------------------

"Okay, here's the plan. Brian and I will take Key West. J, you'll go with Kev and check the Marquesas Keys and Dry Tortugas."

I glanced over at Kev. I had a feeling Howie split Bri and I up because we were bound to do something stupid if paired together. We weren't near as bad as Bri and Nick or Nick and I, but we were still pretty bad.

The Marquesas Keys form an uninhibited island group west of Key West. It was famous with the locals for containing amazing fishing spots and secluded places for scuba diving. The whole place was overgrown with mangroves.

"He could be hiding out anywhere," I said as we approached the island in our little rented boat. Kev leaned on the wheel.

"I don't know...it just doesn't seem right. I can't imagine Aaron Carter living underneath a tree."

"Kev, he's spent the last few fucking years in jail. I think living under some leaves wouldn't bother him in the least."

Kev docked the boat and we began to walk. After about an hour, I was sweating like a pig. The bugs were so big that I should have just hopped on for an aerial tour of the island.

"I don't think he's here," Kev finally announed a half hour later.

"Why? We've only gone halfway."

Kev held up his cellphone. "There's no phone reception. How would he call Nick?"

He had a point. And I was sick of jumping everytime I saw something flew past my face.

"Moving on?"

Kev nodded.

"Moving on."

We got back in the boat and took off towards the Dry Tortguas. I have to say that in a past life Kev must have been one of those trench coat, cigar chomping, private eyes. He spread out a map of the area and studied it.

"There's two lighthouses," he said slowly. The one on Garden Key is inactive. The one on Loggerhead Key is one of the few things out here with modern technology."

"So...we should check the one on Loggerhead?"

Kev shook his head. "Not necessarily. I think that's the obvious choice."

"So we check the Garden Key lighthouse?"

He shook his head again. "No. I think we need to wait until sunset."

"What?"

Kev sighed impatiently. "Let's just assume that he's using the Loggerhead lighthouse to call Nick. I doubt he'd keep Brooke there. That area isn't as remote. The Garden Key lighthouse is inactivated. It would be a good place to hide."

I blinked. "Remind me to never make you mad. I have a feeling I'd disappear and never be seen again."

Kev cracked a little smile. "I'm just using logic."

"So...if we see Aaron at Loggerhead..."

"We can assume that he's going back and hiding in Garden Key. And if that's the case, we can zoom back to Key West and call the FBI. That way he doesn't see us, freak out, and move on."

I nodded.

"Sounds like a plan."

-----------------------------

The waiting was the hardest part. I was thirsty and hungry. I pissed over the side of the boat about five times. I was pretty sure I was getting sunburned.

"Jesus, don't you sit still?"

"It's nervous energy."

"If I had five kids, I'd be nervous too."

I snorted. "We can't all be boring with two."

"Two is enough. Mason's so moody."

"So's Shelby. And they haven't even hit puberty yet."

We shared a look. It was a scary thought.

Finally, the sun sank below the horizon. Kev and I got off the boat and hunkered down by the lighthouse. I was glad that I was dressed all in black. I wanted to blend in with the surroundings.

Just when I thought our little detective caper had been for nothing, I heard the sound of a boat. I know that Kev wanted to make sure it was Aaron and then go call the cops, but it didn't seem right to let him go. I thought it would work much better if we beat him to a bloody pulp, got Brooke, and booked the hell out of here.

"Don't even think about it," Kev hissed. I turned in surprise. I know I hadn't spoken out loud. He read my mind.

Freaky.

A shadowy figure holding a large sack made its way to the lighthouse door. Just as the hatch opened, a small sliver of light fell over the man.

I saw blonde hair.

"It's him," I whispered.

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure."

"Let's go."

We ran back to the boat. Kev floored it.

"Keep checking your phone. As soon as you have signal, call."

We were almost to shore when my phone came back from the dead. I dialed Nick.

"Hello?"

"Nick, Aaron's hiding out in the Dry Tortugas. I thinking he's bouncing between the lighthouses."

"I---oh shit, he's calling."

Nick disconnected. I listened to the dial tone.

"Well?"

"Aaron's calling."

"That makes sense. It would have taken him awhile to mess with the electronics to use it for a cell phone signal."

We pulled back up to the pier and met up with Bri and Howie. They had come up empty handed. We told them what we had discovered.

"For Nick's sake, let's hope that this is over tonight," Brian said quietly.

I couldn't have agreed more.
Chapter 5 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Five

-- Nick --

Another day had passed. The sun had disappeared right along with my hope that Brooke would be coming home today. When the phone began to ring, my entire body tensed up. I dreaded hearing Aaron's voice.

But it wasn't him. It was AJ.

"Hello?"

"Nick, Aaron's hiding out in the Dry Tortugas. I thinking he's bouncing between the lighthouses."

Henry was listening in. He immediately began typing on his laptop, but I didn't have time to process the information. Another call was coming through and this time I knew there was no avoiding Aaron's voice on the other end.

""I---oh shit, he's calling."

I hung up on AJ. I pressed talk again and closed my eyes, waiting for the snake to uncoil and unleash his venom right into my ear.

"We're at the end of day two. I'm not counting my cash or flying the friendly skies."

"Aaron I--"

"You must think that I'm joking around. Well, a package will be coming in the mail tomorrow. Then you'll know that this isn't a game."

There was a pause. I didn't know what to say.

"This isn't a game, is it Brooke?"

There was a scuffling noise and then I heard a huge hiccup.

"Daddy, I don't want to play anymore. Please I--"

"Five million, a private plane, and a box of unregistered police grade ammunition. I'm looking forward to day three. Are you?"

The phone went dead. Henry was glancing between the phone and the laptop. I set the phone down, sank down on the couch, and rubbed my arms. It wasn't cold in the room, but my whole body seemed to have turned to ice.

"What about the information from my friend?" I finally asked. I didn't want to think about Brooke's little terrified voice.

"I have Key West authorities following up on the lead," Henry said. He looked at me intently. "I told you not to get involved in the Key West tip."

"No, you told me I couldn't go to Key West," I said. "That doesn't mean my connections couldn't."

I suddenly felt a wave of loneliness wash over me. The day had been rough for Liv. I had put in a favor for a house call from our doctor and she had been heavily sedated. Liv's mom was watching Peyton and Noah who I prayed were sleeping soundly upstairs.

I still hadn't slept.

I sat in stone silence as the minutes ticked away. An hour passed and still...nothing.

Around midnight, Henry's cellphone rang. He answered and stood up, his back turned towards me. I sprung to my feet.

"Yes. I see. Thank you."

He closed his phone. I saw him inhale deeply.

"What?" I asked.

"Both lighthouses were searched top and bottom. The wiring was tampered at one location. The other was empty..."

He trailed off, but I knew he was hiding something.

"Completely empty?"

Henry turned. His eyes were filled with sympathy.

"They found some long blonde hairs. They've bagged them to see if they belong to Brooke."

I swallowed around the huge lump that invaded my throat, threatening to strangle me.

"But where did he go? They saw him."

"I was told that there was a boat stolen yesterday. This same boat was found floating in the middle of the water not far from the Dry Tortugas about a half hour ago."

"That means?"

Henry rubbed his neck and sat back down. His coffee had probably gone cold hours ago but still he drank it down greedily.

"That most likely means that there's now someone else involved. A contact that picked him up from the boat and took him to another location."

"Where?"

He sighed. "That's what we have to try to find out."

I walked back over to the window. The stars were out but there was no shine. At least not in my eyes. I pressed my palms against the glass, not caring if I left a smudge. I lowered my head to my chest and thought...

The guys had already gotten closer to Aaron in half a day than the FBI had in two days. This wasn't thought in spite. I mean, it wasn't that I didn't trust them. Hell, my father-in-law was ex-FBI. But the guys had known Aaron almost as long as they had known me. They had a sixth sense that the FBI could never have.

I had a sinking suspicion where Aaron was headed.

And I needed my team on the prowl.

-------------------------

"Cozumel? There's millions of people roaming about. He'd get spotted for sure."

I was in the attic again on my old phone. The guys had rented a couple hotel rooms in Key West, awaiting a phone call from me. What they most likely hadn't expected was another assignment.

"Not necessarily. Hunter told Liv that Aaron didn't hide the fact that he liked to conduct his business in Cozumel. It can be accessed by water and he knows his way around," I explained.

AJ sighed. "I just wish I would have jumped at him when I had the chance."

I couldn't help but agree, but there was no need to add guilt into the situation. I had enough of that resting on my own shoulders.

"I don't want you guys to do anything that will get you hurt," I said. "Kev was right telling you to keep back. Just don't tell him that I said that."

"Your secret's safe with me. Howie's looking at plane tickets right now. We'll be there by tomorrow morning."

I closed my eyes.

"You have no idea how much this means to me."

There was a pause.

"Nick?"

"Yeah?"

I heard the sound of a door opening and closing on his end. When he spoke, his voice was barely a whisper.

"If I see him this time, he's a dead man. He might know Cozumel well, but I've been there a time or two. There's quite a few places to get a gun without being asked a lot of questions."

I felt a surge of...I don't know. I just knew without a doubt that AJ was serious. A man with five kids at home knew where I was coming from.

"I don't care about Aaron. Just don't let Brooke get hurt," I said quietly.

"We won't," AJ said gently. "She's like a daughter to all of us."

I felt the warm rush of tears dripping down my face, but I didn't care.

"Thank you," I whispered.

I hung up, not feeling better in the way that 'better' is defined, but...productive.

As I headed back downstairs I knew that if one more day passed and I had to endure one more phone call that this would be the end.

I would sell every part of my body to get Aaron that money. I'd beg, borrow and steal to get him a plane. We could live in a cardboard box.

Brooklyn just needed to come home.
Chapter 6 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Six - March 11

The package arrived at seven o'clock in the morning. I intercepted the delivery man before he even hit the door. I had announced to the group of guys hunkered down in the living room that I was going out with the dogs. I had hopped the fence and squatted in a bush until the vehicle drove up. I probably would have stayed in the bush waiting all day if I had to.

I took the box in my hands. It was small, brown, and square. For one second I considered the possibility of a bomb.

"Hand it over, Nick."

Henry was at my side. I clutched the box.

"No."

"We need to run it through the scanner and make sure it's not a trap."

"I want to know what's in it," I said. Henry nodded.

"I promise."

I handed the package over.

Two hours later, Liv and I were sitting together on the couch. She refused to take any more medication. Her eyes were framed with dark purple circles. Her head fell on my shoulder. Henry opened the box. Liv let out a sob.

Two blonde pigtails were in the bottom of the box along with a bag tied shut with a piece of thread.

"Those are Brooke's," I whispered.

"Lab analysis is pending, but yes, I'm almost certain they are," Henry said quietly.

I reached over and took the bag.

"Now, the bag--"

I opened it before he could continue. Liv was crying too hard to look.

For that, I was glad.

The bag was filled with little teeth. All of the air seemed to leave the room. Hot white branding heat soared through my entire body.

"They aren't Brooke's."

I looked over at Henry.

"What?"

"Aaron was just going for a shock factor. Most of them aren't even human teeth."

I clutched the bag. My shoulder was soaked through with Liv's tears. I wrapped my arms around her and pressed my lips to the top of her head. She was the only other person in the world that shared the amount of pain and torture I felt. Her nails dug into my forearm.

"This is day four," I said quietly. "Hair can grow back, but...other things can't. I want to start working on meeting his demands."

Henry shook his head. "It would just be a trap. He'd get what he wants and keep Brooke. He wouldn't hesitate to drop the excess baggage and disappear for good."

My nostrils flared. "And how much closer are you guys to finding him?"

"We've got agents still in Key West, surrounding islands, and a few agents in Cozumel. They're taking all leads extremely seriously. We are doing all that we can."

"And what if your all isn't good enough?"

Henry sighed. "Nick, I have two kids at home. I'm not going to stop until we get Brooke back home. Okay?"

I stared right into his eyes. There was complete honestly there.

"Okay."

----------------------------

-- Aaron --

Knives are amazing things. They have so many purposes. They prepare food, create furniture, jimmie a lock...

And cut little girl's pigtails off.

At the moment I was using the knife to clean under my nails. They were dirty with grime that had accumulated from this adventure I had embarked on.

It all began two months before the jailbreak.

For the first couple years behind bars, I had been the prison bitch. After awhile, as my exterior and interior toughened, I used the same tactics that were used on me to bully some of the new bloods. Two years later, I had a small gang of five guys that followed me around like puppy dogs.

It had been a slow process, but an ingenious one. About a year ago, a new guard was assigned to my prison block. I put on my charm and made sure to chit-chat with him every day. Slowly I began to gather information. I learned that he had a little boy...a wife. That whole 'coming up roses' scenario. It made me sick.

My plan began to unfold when one of my bloods was released from prison for good behavior. He left with specific instructions. If he succeeded, I promised him he would be greatly rewarded.

Two weeks after his release, I began to bully around the guard. I told him that if he cooperated with me that there would be no trouble. He thought I was just jacking him around. One morning I grabbed him by the collar and pulled him close to the bars.

"If you don't want your wife to be split in half like a human taco, I think you're going to listen to me," I hissed. I remember watching my spit fly into his face.

It would have been ideal if he had listened. He was a nice guy...not that I cared much for nice guys. But he didn't.

That was where my goon had come in. Two days and one encrypted letter later, the guard's wife suddenly went missing. He came to me one night...knelt down by the bars.

"Where is she?" he whispered.

"You help me, you get her back," I said.

And so he had. Three days later, me and my four companions escaped. It's amazing what the click of a few security camera buttons and huge carts of laundry will accomplish.

Unfortunately, I couldn't keep my promise to the guard. I was pretty sure his pretty little wife had been supper for a few thick dicked gang members.

But, that's the breaks.

All five of us had split as soon as we escaped. My goon on the outside had been waiting for me with a car. I hopped in and we sped off.

About twenty miles in, he had started to ask about his payment. That's when I had first used my trusty knife. The dumbass had left a perfectly fine knife laying out under my seat in plain view. I leaned forward, grabbed it, and rammed the thing into his neck.

From there on out I had been flying solo.

Kidnapping Brooke had been even easier than the jailbreak. For a fancy ass school, security sucked. The only thing I hadn't counted on was the little boy.

I still had the bite marks. I had almost taken him too--double the pain for my dear ass brother. But that would have been too much trouble. Too much to transport. I couldn't risk it.

I was filled with happiness. For once in my life, it was Nick that was finding out what it felt like to be in a shadow. I was the one that was running the show. He had to listen to me.

A loud sob filled the room. I glanced over to the corner. Brooke's hands and feet were tied with thick rope. Her blonde hair stuck out at jagged angles from the rough cut.

She looked even more like Nick now. My jaw tensed.

"Shut up," I growled.

"I w-w-want my daddy," she bawled.

"If you don't shut the FUCK up I will KILL your dad!" I screamed. Her eyes widened and she turned her face to the wall. Her cheeks were stained with dirt.

I was getting sick of lugging the kid around. I didn't care that she was my niece. In my mind she was just my lottery ticket. When I was finally able to cash in, she would be nothing more than just a piece of paper.

My brother's time was running out.
Chapter 7 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Seven

-- Brian --

"I can't hear you. What did you say?"

There was a high pitched tantrum going on back at home. I heard Leighanne sigh.

"Kayleigh's refusing to wear her matching shirt today."

"Why?"

"She doesn't want to wear pink."

"Well, what about blue?"

"I WON'T! I WON'T!"

There was static and then I heard a dramatic six-year old's heavy breath.

"I don't WANT to dress like Mom and BAY!" she screamed right into my ear. I held the phone away and rubbed out the shrillness.

It was our tradition. We always wore matching shirts. That way if someone got lost...

"And that's what's happening here," Leighanne said as she got control of the phone again. She sounded tired. "Baylee's sixteen and still listens to me. How can a six-year-old not listen?"

I wanted to give her some insightful piece of wisdom, but just then I heard the landing announcement.

"Leigh, baby, I'm so sorry, but we're landing."

"Be careful, okay?"

"I will. I love you."

"I love you too."

I hung up and shook my head. Kayleigh was beautiful, just like her mama, but she had a temper that was unearthly. Life was fun.

By the time the plane landed and we checked into the hotel, it was around noon. All four of us had been pretty quiet the whole trip (minus my phone call). More quiet than we usually were on a plane ride. Howie and Kev had gone over maps, marking off possible places to visit.

I wasn't good at this detective, 'shoot-em-up,' 'get the bad guy' type of stuff. I didn't have that sixth sense or whatever was needed to do this.

But I was doing it for Nick.

"Bri, you're coming with me today," Kev said as we got in the elevator to return to the hotel lobby. "AJ's going with Howie."

The plan was that AJ and Howie were going to scout out all the clubs and 'town' area this afternoon while Kev and I checked all the outlying areas. We would meet up for a quick dinner and then go back through the clubs tonight when all the parties really got hopping.

Four middle-aged dudes in a club would blend in just fine. Right?

We headed out of the hotel and split up. Howie and AJ took a cab going towards the hustle and bustle of town and Kev and I took a cab towards the beach.

"So where are we going first?"

Kev looked thoughtful. It was a beautiful day. I would have loved to lay out on the beach with the family if it had been an ordinary vacation.

This was far from ordinary.

"Cozumel is where Aaron faked his death," Kev pointed out. "Remember where he jumped from?"

The whole thing was kind of fuzzy in my mind. Leighanne had been pregnant with Kayleigh and well...

"Punta Sur," Kev said after I gave him a blank look. "The lighthouse."

"You think he's using lighthouses wherever he goes?"

Nick had called me right before the four of us had split up. The FBI had found blonde hairs in one of the lighthouses on the Dry Tortguas. We were right on Aaron's tail.

"Not necessarily," Kev said. "It was closed for repairs that year. Now it's open to tourists. I want to go check the rocks below."

I breathed a sigh of relief. There was no way in double-h-hockey sticks that I was going to walk up a lighthouse.

I could walk on rocks.

--------------------------

"So what are we looking for?"

"Any recess that might look like it leads to some type of cave structure," Kev said. "It has to be up enough that the tide isn't an issue."

I looked around. All I saw were rocks. Literally. I hopped from one to the other looking at the massive wall of earth in front of me. It looked pretty solid.

After about an hour, we weren't making much progress. The progress completely stopped when Kev grabbed my arm.

"I think we better go," he said quietly.

"What? Why?"

Kev gave me a crooked little smile.

"I think the FBI finally caught up to my logic," Kev whispered.

We got back in our boat and got a good distance away just as four guys in a large unmarked boat wearing brown windbreakers pulled up. We looked at each other and Kev turned the boat back towards the pier. I checked my phone. I had five messages from AJ.

"AJ's been calling," I told Kev. I dialed his number and waited.

"Where the fuck have you guys been? The North Pole?"

"We were out on the rocks. Verizon service isn't that good," I said. "Can you hear me now?"

"Howie had a nice little chat with the owner of Neptuno," AJ said. "Aaron was sniffing around here this morning. I think he was looking for some of his old friends."

I remembered those old friends. They had tried to kill Nick and me. I remembered the knife being pressed up to Nick's throat and the gunshots. I had practically wet myself trying to get out of there.

"Did he have Brooke with him?"

"No, he's got to be hiding her somewhere. But..."

And this is where AJ sounded happy.

"Information about Brooke's kidnapping has made its way down here. The owner told Aaron that his friends usually come by around seven every night. He thinks Aaron will be back."

"Do those guys really come in every night?" I asked. I didn't really want to meet them again. I doubt they would have invited me to sit down for a cup of tea.

"Nope," AJ said happily. "The owner hasn't seen them in a couple years. He thinks they moved their operation south."

That was good news. I loved good news.

"So what's the plan?"

"Well, I wanted all of us to hide in the club and come at Aaron with baseball bats and clubs, but Dorough wants to pass the info on to the FBI."

I could so see AJ with a club.

"I think Howie's right," I said. "We're not trained professionals."

AJ snorted. "I don't think the FBI is either. They don't have torture tactics like we do."

"I don't torture. I'm a pacifist," I said.

"So if Kayleigh was in Brooke's place you wouldn't want to burn off Aaron's nutsack?" AJ asked.

I closed my eyes. Deep down I knew that, if it was Kayleigh, I would do more than burn his nutsack off. I would probably carry his decapitated head around like a trophy.

Such is the power of being a dad.

"You're right," I said. "But I also don't want to screw this up for Nick."

AJ sighed. "Fine. We'll tell the FBI. But if they fuck this up and we have to go someplace else to track him..."

"I'll be carrying a club right alongside you," I assured him.

We decided on a place to meet and I hung up. Kev was looking at me.

"What's the plan?"

"Howie and AJ think Aaron will be visiting Neptuno tonight. We're going to meet for an early dinner and call the FBI."

"For everyone's sake, I hope the tip is right. Once the FBI finds out that we've stuck our noses in not once, but twice, we're all going to be watched like dogs."

I nodded. Kev had a point. The last thing the FBI wanted was four Backstreet Boys chasing after them trying to figure out this giant game of Clue before they did. And even worse was the thought that we might accidentally lead them in the wrong direction.

If I helped Aaron in any way, I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

--------------------------------------------

Shameless plug: If you've been reading The Coaster Series, then you'll enjoy the spin-off Coaster Girls Series. The first story is Shelby's Love Story and you can read it here! It's a perfect thing to read after getting all mad and anxious with Seven Days, lol.
Chapter 8 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Eight

-- Nick --

Waiting. Waiting was the hardest part. I wasn't a patient person. Never was, never will be. Liv, one of the most patient people I knew, was impatient. Everything was driving us nuts. The agents set their coffee cups down too loud. The dog's seemed to continuously scratch to go out or come in. People kept calling. Reporters were outside our doors.

I just wanted time to stop for a moment so that I could catch up. Fix things.

Rewinding time would be even better.

I went into the attic around two thirty. I was expecting an update from my team...my brothers. Liv was in the kitchen cutting grilled cheese sandwiches into little triangles for Noah and Peyton. It was monotonous, but it required focus. Focus away from the hell we were living in. Focus back on our other two confused and frightened children.

I sank down and checked my phone. One missed message. I dialed Brian's number and prayed he was in range.

He was.

"News?" I said. He knew I wasn't going to waste time with a hello.

"Remember Neptuno?" Brian asked. As if I could forget.

"Yes."

"Aaron talked to the manager this morning. The manager knows about Brooke. A trap has been set. I think it would be a good idea to get some agents at the club around six thirty. It's been suggested to Aaron that his friends will be coming around seven."

"Friends?"

"I think you remember them."

My jaw tensed. They had pressed a knife up to my fucking throat.

Just another thing I couldn't forget.

"Are these friends really going to be there?"

"No."

"Did you call the cops?"

"No, I don't think they'd appreciate us muddling around twice in two days, do you?"

I couldn't have agreed more.

"I'll pass the word. Be careful."

"Will do."

I disconnected and stood up. I didn't want to go back into the real world. The attic was like a time machine for me. The crib, old baby sleepers, a broken kitchen plaay stove, Brooke's mangled baby doll (the replacement Bri and I had kicked the shit out of)...all of it was like time going in reverse.

All of it was a reminder of Brooke.

I headed back downstairs. Peyton was nibbling off the crust of her sandwich. Noah was poking his finger right in the center of his. He had his chin resting in his hand.

They might have squabbled like cats and dogs, but Brooke and Noah were like Yin and Yang. He was lost without his Yang.

And so was I.

I walked into the living room. I could feel Liv's eyes on the back of my head.

"Henry, I need to talk to you," I said quietly.

He paused in his report-making or whatever he did constantly on his laptop. He stood up and followed me outside.

"What's up?"

"I need you to get some of your Cozumel squad positioned at Club Neptuno tonight around six thirty."

He closed his eyes and sighed.

"Who do you have sticking their nose into this investigation now?"

"That's not important."

"Is it the guys again? Nick, if they keep meddling..."

"It's not them. Please? Have some of your guys talk to the manager of the club if you don't believe me."

He gave me a hard look, but finally nodded. "Alright. I'll dispatch."

We headed back inside. Noah turned, his eyes hopeful. When he saw that Brooke wasn't in my arms or by my side, he turned back around and continued to jab his sandwich.

He had inherited my impatience.

-----------------------------------

-- Aaron --

Waiting. Waiting was the hardest part. I wasn't a patient person. Never was, never will be. I was getting bored with the game. For just once in his damn life, I wanted Nick to listen. If he would just give me that money...

The little girl was rolling around on the mattress that I had so kindly produced. It had a few black bugs crawling around, but it was still better than the floor. She had been sweating for a few hours, tossing and turning. I guess she was sick...

I didn't have time to worry about it.

I thought about Angel. It killed me to think of how close she had gotten to Nick. The poster boy. The 'do-no-wrong' brother. I was her twin for crying out loud. And yet she had only written me once while I was in prison. I'm sure that hidden within her list of all the 'wrongs' I had committed there was a few lines where she reached out for me.

'Redemption' was the word she used.

I didn't want to be redeemed.

Tonight at seven, I was hoping that the lull in my plan was going to come to an end. I was ready to start doing what I did best. I wouldn't have to fear for my life once I paid them back for all my mistakes.

One blonde little girl seemed to me to be the perfect payment.

I picked up my cellphone. I had stolen this one earlier today from some tall leggy brunette at one of the drink stands. I punched in the number I knew so well. The one the Feds didn't even know existed.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Mom."

"Aaron, where are you?"

"I'm in Mexico."

"Where?"

"I'd rather not say."

"Are you okay?"

I liked that she asked about how I was doing. She cared...and she understood. She always understood.

"I'm okay. Listen, I need a favor."

"Anything."

"I need you to call Nick and tell him I showed up at your house this morning."

"Are the Feds on your trail?"

"I think so."

There was a pause.

"Once this is all over, you're going to meet me in Russia, right? I'll get to keep her?"

"Absolutely."

There was a happy sigh.

"I'll make the call. Stay safe, baby."

I smiled. "Thank you, mommy."

I disconnected and rubbed my neck. Too much stress. I hated lying to her. After all, there was no way I was going to let her have Brooke. That type of transfer would get me caught. Mom wasn't smart.

Not like me.

But she could be useful.
Chapter 9 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Nine

-- Nick --

An hour had never lasted longer. I kept thinking about seven o'clock. I wanted to be in Cozumel. I wanted to be weaving through the throngs of people as the strobe lights created its dizzying spell. I wanted to grab Aaron and watch him bleed. But more than all that, I wanted to be hopeful. I wanted to think that this nightmare was ending.

The unknown was what was killing me. I was angry at the four walls and at the guys that kept an ever trained eye on me. As if they didn't trust me.

As if they knew I would just as soon escape and play the hero.

The time on the clock showed ten after three when the phone rang. I answered, a humming beginning in my ears that I couldn't explain. I took a deep breath, praying it wasn't Aaron. It was too early for him.

"Hello?"

There was a large sob. It was a familiar breathing pattern. One that I had known all my life.

"Mom?"

"Nick, oh honey, I'm so, so sorry about all this. I've been meaning to call and...I'm so scared for Brooke."

I closed my eyes. She shuddered.

"I...I saw Aaron this morning."

I opened my eyes; Henry looked up and pressed the listening device closer to his ear.

"What?" I croaked. It was impossible...it was...

"He showed up at the house. I begged him to tell me where Brooke was. He wouldn't tell me his exact location but he mentioned a warehouse. I smelled tobacco all over him."

I glanced over at Henry. He was back to his laptop again. It was like that machine held all the answers.

"What did he want?"

Mom began to cry harder.

"He wanted my help, but I told him I couldn't help him. You were right Nick, he is crazy. Oh, sweetie...Brooke."

I couldn't stand hearing her name. My skin was crawling with thousands of tiny invisible electrodes that were zinging right to my soul.

"T-thank you for calling mom," I said.

"I love you, sweetie."

I hung up and looked at Henry. I had been so sure that he had been in Cozumel...

"That makes me think he's hiding out in one of the tobacco rolling plants," Henry said. "It's mostly Spanish speaking employees, some are controlled by the gangs and double as drug stops. I'm going to get the guys on it immediately."

"What about Cozumel?"

"I've got a guy down there."

"A guy? As in one?"

Henry sighed. "You heard your mother. Would you rather us send twenty men down to Cozumel on a 'tip' that I know came from your little posse or send a squad on a tip from your mother...the mother who is probably the only person you could think of that Aaron would contact?"

I moaned. I wanted squads everywhere. I wanted people on every square inch of this Earth on the case.

"What's going on?"

I looked up. Liv was rubbing her arms as if she was trying to get the chill out. I knew from personal experience there was no erasing this chill.

"Mom called," I said softly. "She told me Aaron came and saw her this morning."

Liv's eyes widened. "But I thought he was south of here."

I licked my lips. I could taste the remain of salt from the random drop of tears that had cascading throughout the day.

"Me too."

-------------------------

-- Aaron --

"Eat this."

I threw a can of something that looked like dog food at the kid's feet. She didn't even open her eyes. They looked like they were sealed shut with some type of crust. I was glad.

She had Nick's eyes.

"Have a good night," I said coldly. I slid my knife into my waistband. I walked into the other room. The walls were cold. Baren. I knelt down and used the razor to cut my last line. I had splurged too much today, but I didn't care. I inhaled greedily and felt the rush.

I had missed the rush.

It took a moment for my eyes to refocus. I felt powerful.

I was ready for action.

The streets were crowded. I kept my hoodie up, drawn tight around my face. I pulled up my sleeves and shuffled through the crowd. No one cared. Everyone was celebrating. Celebrating an amazing night in an amazing place. Alcohol was everywhere.

Soon I'd be celebrating.

Neptuno came into view. I wasn't stupid enough to go through the front. No telling who could be down here. I hoped mom had called Nick. That would save me some time.

I snuck around the back of the building and entered through a little known door the bartenders used when they wanted to sneak out and have a smoke. It was great to have emergency exits just to get your fix.

The place was crowded. Just the way I liked it. The lights spun and made me momentarily dizzy. My heart was racing. For one insane moment I felt like it was going to pound its way right out of my chest. I took a deep breath.

Like a snake, I stuck to the walls. I studied faces as I went. I was headed towards the old table where I had sat in the glory days.

Before Nick had screwed it up.

If only he hadn't seen me that night. If only he hadn't grabbed me and knocked over the coke. He had drawn attention to a scene that wasn't supposed to be noticed.

And he had made me a marked man.

Now it was his turn. Killing him would have been too easy. Making him cry...making him sweat and feel like he couldn't breathe from the fear was much more in line with what he had done to me.

I just needed to find the guys. I wanted to rid myself of that sickly bundle lying on the mattress. Nick wasn't giving into my demands. I'd give him one more chance after my meeting tonight. If he still didn't listen, if I still didn't get my money, well...

It would be time to end the game early.
Chapter 10 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Ten

-- Liv --

I had never expected my life with Nick to be anything but wonderful. Seven happy years...ripped apart when Brooke was stolen from us. It was a struggle just to get out of bed every morning. My nights were haunted with visions of my little girl. At times she seemed so close that I could touch her.

Hate is a horrible thing, but I truly, to the depths of my soul, hated Aaron. I wanted him to suffer as much, if not more, than what Nick and I had suffered.

Nick had taken the phone call from his mom badly. Hell, we took everything badly. He had disappeared upstairs claiming that he needed some quiet time.

I felt like a failure. I could barely get through the day without collapsing into a fit of tears. Noah and Payton were suffering from my inability to be a mother.

Being left alone with two small children and a house full of FBI agents was too much for me. Once again I called my mom. Even though she had shed more than her share of tears, she was still able to watch Noah and Pey. She showered them with all the love that was trapped within the hard impenetrable fortress of my heart.

The heart that prayed my girl would be brought home alive.

After mom arrived, I sat on the couch watching her play with the kids. I hadn't eaten in days...hadn't showered. I had never felt so weak.

By five thirty, Nick still hadn't come back downstairs. I stood up and headed towards the stairs.

"Honey, where are you going?"

"Nick..." I said quietly. I grabbed onto the railing and ascended slowly. I moved like someone who was fifty years older than I really was.

I checked our bedroom, the bathroom. The last place I checked was Brooke's room. I couldn't help the loud sobs that escaped. Her bed was still made...everything untouched. Nick was nowhere to be found.

"Brooke," I moaned. I pressed my forehead into the doorframe.

When I finally felt like I could move again, I made my way to the attic. I had thought that I had heard the door to the attic open and close while I had been lying drugged up in bed. The only person I could assume that was going up there was Nick.

The attic was dusty, but tracks on the floor indicated someone had indeed been up there...and recently.

I drifted from old box to old box. Everything held a memory. Finally I made my way back to the far corner. The tears came anew. I was facing Brooke's crib.

There was no way I could ever forget the day that Nick had bought it. Brooke had been happily turning circles in my tummy when Nick had whipped out his credit card for the beautiful sleigh crib.

I ran my hands over the smooth wood. I was halfway along the top when my hand ran over a piece of paper. I stopped and grabbed the small folded wedge. The paper was new. I unfolded it and looked at Nick's familiar handwriting.

Liv,

I can't sit around any longer. My gut instinct tells me that mom is leading the Feds on a wild goose chase. I'm following the one thing I've always relied on...my heart. Brooke will be home and back in your arms, no matter what the cost. I love you with everything I am...

-- Nick


I sank down to the floor. Nick was gone. He had slipped out undetected, more than likely just minutes after he had gone upstairs. I hoped that wherever he was, that he was safe.

The thought of losing Nick in this whole process would be the final kiss of death.

---------------------------

-- Nick --

4:35 p.m. Tampa time / 3:35 p.m. Cozumel time

"Good afternoon passengers. Please ensure that your seatbelts are fastened and your electronics are off until cruising altitude. In case of loss of cabin pressure, masks will drop down from the overhead compartment. Put the mask on immediately before assisting others. In case of a problem, the exit doors are located here and here. Thank you and have a good flight."

I closed my eyes. The stewardess sat down and I ran my fingers over my seatbelt. I was going to cut it close. Cozumel was only an hour behind us. I didn't know if I'd be able to make it in time.

But I had to try.

7:15 p.m. Tampa time / 6:15 p.m. Cozumel time

"The captain has indicated that we have begun our initial descent into Cozumel. In preparation for landing, please assist your cabin crew by placing your seat backs and tray tables into their upright and locked position. The flight attendants will be coming through the cabin to collect any trash or additional service items that you may have, please pass them to the center of aisle...."

The moment that the wheels touched the runway and the seatbelt light had once again gone off, I was out in the aisle. I pushed past several disgruntled passsengers and wove my way to the front of the line.

I only had forty-five minutes to get from the airport to Neptuno. And I needed to make a stop along the way.

The countdown had begun.

7:45 p.m. Tampa time / 6:45 p.m. Cozumel time

It was party hour. Every warm body in the area was either partying in the street or in the club. The line to get into Neptuno stretched far. I didn't have time to chummy up the muscular oaf at the door. I didn't know that much Spanish and I didn't have that much time. I went around the building, keeping my eye open for a staff door.

Bingo.

I opened the door a crack, squeezed inside, and ended up right by the bar area. It must have been the escape route for the bartenders to go grab a smoke. I stuck close to the walls. My lack of sleep and the lights were disorienting. I didn't even realize how heavily I was breathing. I willed myself to keep an eye out for the guys...and for Aaron.

My hand reflexively went to the bulge in the waistband of my jeans. The gun, bought from an unreputable source, was loaded and ready to go at a moment's notice. My jaw tensed.

He had to be here. And I had to fight him.

I wasn't going to rest until he was screaming for mercy...and Brooke was safe and sound.

---------------------------------------------------

Author's Note: I made a time change in Chapter Nine to when Jane called (ten after three). My timeline got a little helter-skelter. I'm back on track now. :)
Chapter 11 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Eleven

-- Howie --

"Hi daddy."

"Hi Stefie. Daddy misses you."

"I miss you!"

"Are you being good?"

"Uh-huh. I sanged a song today."

"I bet it was muy bonito."

She giggled.

"Muy, muy."

I smiled. "Can you put mommy on the phone?"

"YUP!"

"Howie, Is everything okay?"

I closed my eyes. The cautiously optimistic part of me wanted to say yes. The rational part of me wanted to say no.

"It's as okay as it can be."

Leigh sighed. I pictured those warm eyes and her soft smile. Stefie's face was in minature to her own.

They were my girls. And I was fighting to rescue another innocent girl.

I just felt highly unqualified.

"Be safe. I love you."

I closed my eyes. "I love you too. Give Stefie and James a kiss for me."

"I will."

I hung up and rubbed my temples. I had another headache. It was the pressure of the monumental task that lay before us.

"Howie, it's time to go."

I checked my phone. Six-thirty. I glanced at AJ. He was leaning against the door, a solemn expression on his face. I knew he wanted to go in with guns blazing. I was more apt to let the FBI do their job.

But just in case they didn't...

"Alright, let's go."

"Wait."

Kev ran a hand through his hair. He knelt down and opened a box I hadn't seen before. Four knives in sheaths lay inside. He passed them around like it was every day that the Backstreet Boys carried daggers.

"What's this for?" I asked.

"For protection."

AJ studied his with appreciation. It wasn't a gun, a bat, or a club, but it was something. He slid it into the waistband of his jeans next to his hip. I did the same.

I prayed I wouldn't have to use it. But if it came down to stopping Aaron from escaping...

I would have to do what I had to do.

This was for Nick.

-----------------------------

-- Mike --

"What do you mean Nick got out undetected?"

My stepdaughter was beside herself. She was crumpled on the couch crying her eyes out. Her mother, my wife, was looking at me like I was the last and only hope.

"He left his cell phone and he found the bug we put on him. Both things were left in the upstairs bedroom."

Incompetence. This never would have been acceptable when I was a part of the team. Every last one of these fools would have been fired.

But that was a previous generation. We were living in a time when the government was trying to fix their image of a totalitarian state.

And with that, the FBI had turned into pansies.

"Any clue where he went?"

"We're keeping an eye out around the cigar warehouses."

I almost slapped him. His father had been a hero. I had trusted him with my life...

"You seriously think Jane Carter is a more viable lead?"

Henry just stared at me.

"I'm FBI."

FBI. It used to stand for Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Now it stood for Foolishly Believes Idiots.

And Jane Carter was a HUGE idiot.

She had messed with the wrong family.

------------------------------------

-- Kevin --

Waiting to leave for the club had been the hardest part of the entire day. To distract myself, I had called home and talked to Addy and Dan. Mason was with his mom for Spring Break. I wouldn't call the middle of March 'Spring,' but that was the way schools did things nowadays.

We were a block away from the club. I took a deep breath.

"Guys, I want to do the prayer circle."

It was a pre-show tradition, but if ever there was a time we needed a prayer, it was now. The others seem to agree. We clasped hands and lowered our heads. Brian took the lead.

"Almighty and eternal God, those who take refuge in you will be glad and forever will shout for joy. Protect us with the shield of your strength and keep us safe from all evil and harm. May the power of your love enable us to return home in safety with all whom we love. Watch over Brooklyn and guide us in our search so that we may return her to those who wait to welcome her with open arms. For we may ever praise you for your loving care. We ask this through Christ our Lord..."

"Amen," we said in unison.

In tandem all of our hands went to the knives we had hidden under our shirts.

I felt deep down that something bad was going to go down...

Tonight.
Chapter 12 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Twelve

-- Nick --

I didn't remember there being quite so many people packed into one place at any given time. I was in a ratty t-shirt I had worn for days and I felt like I stuck out like a sore thumb.

Not a good thing when you're trying to be a chameleon.

I needed to be alert. Sharp. If the single 'Fed' down here found me before I found Aaron, well...I didn't want to think about that. I wound my way around a large group of girls. They gave me a strange look but just kept on drinking.

It was officially the end of day four. I didn't want there to be a day five...or six. This had to end tonight. I hoped that the guys were here. I hadn't told them I was coming. I just hoped that they had stationed themselves at all the exits. I thought about calling someone about that bartender service door...

But that just seemed like wasting time. Time that I could use to look for Aaron.

My first stop was going to be the table where things had gone down so many years ago. I prayed Aaron was stupid enough to loiter around that area waiting for the goons to show up.

The goons who were long gone.

I was almost to said table when from out of nowhere strong arms wrapped around my neck and yanked me back. I let out a gasp. There was a pause and the arms let me go.

"Holy fuck! Nick?"

I turned around. AJ was standing there with a knife like he was going to filet me into tiny pieces.

"I saw blonde hair and that crappy t-shirt and..."

He stopped mid-sentence and hugged me. The big bad man with the huge fucking knife was hugging me like I was his grandma.

"We haven't seen him yet," AJ said as he pulled back.

"Keep an eye out. If you see the other guys, let them know I'm here. I don't want Kevin to go all 'George of the Jungle' on me."

AJ nodded. Any other time he would have laughed and made some joke. It just didn't seem like the time to do it.

"Will do," was all he said.

We split up. AJ had broken the spell. It was like a page in Where's Waldo had suddenly gotten easier. I spotted Howie by the bar (good, the door was covered) and Brian roaming the dance floors.

The only one I didn't see was Kev. But that was okay. Because he was sneaky.

Sneaky was good.

I finally got within direct sight of the table. My hand went to my waistband. My gun was ready.

I didn't know what I would do if we actually did catch Aaron. I wasn't going to kill him without knowing where Brooklyn was. That was my main goal. Find Brooke.

My eyes roamed the crowds. It was a warm evening and most people were wearing t-shirts or tank tops. When I spotted a figure wearing a hoodie drawn up around the face a million red flags went up.

The figure was thin...practically skeletal. It moved in a jerky fashion as if nervous...on alert.

It was Aaron. It had to be. Without realizing it, I began moving fast towards him.

This whole nightmare was almost over.

Almost.

--------------------------

-- Aaron --

It was after seven and the table was empty. This wasn't right. I was getting nervous. Something felt off.

I smelled a trap.

I needed to get out of here. The air felt oppressive. The people milling around were bothering me. My skin felt like it was crawling with a thousand invisible ants.

The first thing I needed to do was get outside. Then I was going to call Nick. I was going to kick the shit out of Brooke. Maybe then the disease ridden thing would wake up and scream. I loved to hear Nick beg when she screamed. I--

Someone was moving fast in my direction. I turned my head and stifled the scream that rose up into my throat.

Nick.

He was here. But that was impossible. That was...

I didn't waste time trying to rationalize. I tore off pushing people left and right. There was a back door that led to an alley. I was lighter and faster than he was. I was still invinicible from the coke that I had snorted earlier.

Screw going back and kicking the little bitch. I was going to go back and kill her. Hopefully Nick would follow me. I wanted to see the light leave his eyes as the life left her body.

How dare he track me. Like I was a dog.

I reached the back door. I yanked it open and tore off into the alley. He had to be at least a minute behind me he had to---

A strong arm wrapped around my neck. I brought my leg back hard but the figure seemed to anticipate my move. I felt something sharp in my side.

A knife.

"Don't even think about it."

I recognized the voice. Sure, I hadn't seen him for years, but I couldn't deny the voice.

Kevin.

I tried to draw in a breath. I slowly lowered my leg. As I did so, I heard the back door close.

"Kevin? W--You've got him."

Nick sounded satisfied. My vision clouded and all I could see was red. Hot flaming red.

"Aaron and I were just having a little chat," Kevin said. His arm tightened around my windpipe. "He's going to lead us to Brooke, aren't you?"

I coughed. He loosened his grip, but only slightly.

"Aren't you?"

Nick came around and faced me. I glared at him. I wished all my anger and spite could radiate out of me and bring him to his knees.

This wasn't how it was going to end. I wasn't going to let it. If I was going out, I was going out fighting.

Nick was intently staring me down. I didn't take my eyes from his. My flailing hand reached into my waistband. I grabbed my knife. I didn't have a second to spare. Trying to draw in another breath, I rammed the knife between my open legs.

Kevin let out a scream that I have never heard in my life. It was animalistic. Nick's eyes widened. Kevin's arm dropped as he fell back onto the ground. I took off. I knew Nick. He wouldn't chase after me and let one of his friends bleed to death. Thick drops of blood were flying off my knife as I took off down the alley. I heard a gunshot, but it ricocheted off of a trash dumpster, missing me by a mile.

I was free. They had messed with the wrong man. I would take the scenic route back to my hideout.

And then I would dispose of Brooke Carter once and for all.
Chapter 13 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Thirteen

-- Nick --

I was trapped. Kevin was lying on the floor with blood soaking through the front of his jeans and Aaron had taken off down the alley. I had tried to fire off a shot, but it had missed by a mile.

"Go," Kevin croaked. His screams had raised every hair on my neck and arms.

"I can't leave you."

Just then the back door opened. AJ and Brian ran out and skidded to a stop. Brian let out a loud yell and sank down next to Kevin.

I met AJ's gaze.

"Call for help," I said. He nodded. I took off.

Aaron had gotten too much of a head start and I had the sinking feeling of dread that I wouldn't be able to find him. I tucked the gun back into the waistband of my jeans.

I couldn't risk getting caught and arrested.

I ran out onto a side street and looked around. I had to concentrate. Maybe the gray hoodie would stick out...

"NICK!"

The voice was familiar, but it shouldn't have been here. It should have been at home.

"He's heading towards the lighthouse!"

The few people that were milling around on the street looked in my direction. Mike was already taking off with the speed of someone half his age. He pushed people aside without a thought. I tore off after him.

My thoughts were a jumbled mess. Kevin had caught Aaron. We had been so close. And now Kev was lying on the floor. Bleeding. Because of me.

And then there was Brooke. Where was she? Was she okay? Oh, my baby had to be okay...

And Mike. What was he doing here? He wasn't FBI. He was retired. He was...

My chest felt like it was going to break open. I had never ran so hard or fast in all my life. I was catching up to Mike and if I squinted hard enough I could for a fact see the heavy gray material of a hoodie trying to blend in with the night.

The figure was running straight for the lighthouse. I prayed that was where Brooke was. I wouldn't hesitate to gun Aaron down. I just had to get a better shot. I wasn't great with a gun.

Maybe it was a good thing Mike was here.

I grabbed my side and put every last ounce of energy into catching up. The figure yanked open the lighthouse door and tore inside.

It looked like this was going to end one way or another at the top.

-------------------------

-- Aaron --

The idea of taking the scenic route hadn't worked. I had thought that I was home free after the bullet had missed me, but then out of nowhere came the FBI agent that took me down all those years ago. It was like a bad dream.

Scratch that. A fucking nightmare.

I wasn't going back to jail. There was no way in hell they were going to drag me back there.

I panicked. I couldn't think straight. There didn't seem to be a place to hide. I put all my effort into running towards the lighthouse. I knew its secrets; I had learned a few tricks. After all, I had faked my own death. I could do it again.

I hadn't counted on the old man being so fast. Or my brother catching up. I was surprised he had left Kevin, but then again that made me realize that the other three idiots had to be here as well. They couldn't wipe their asses without one another.

The door to the lighthouse yanked opened easily. Ever after a complete remodel, they couldn't provide adequate security.

My feet reverberated loudly as I took the metal stairs two at a time. My hand barely touched the railing. I heard loud shouts below and then the sound of two more sets of shoes.

At the very top of the lighthouse was a narrow platform. By jumping off just right, you can make it into a small spot of water that was surrounded on both sides by rocks. I had checked to make sure time hadn't changed it just the day before. It was my ticket out of this mess.

"AARON FREEZE!"

My nostrils flared. Mr. FBI was right on my tail. I opened the hatch to the platform, turned around and held up my hands. The old guy's gun was aimed right at me. A second gun appeared. Nick's face was masked in shadow.

"Where's Brooke?"

I licked my lips. "Your princess is sick. Has been for the last day or so. Maybe she choked on her own vomit by now. That would save me the step of killing her. Of course maybe I've already done that. What do you think?"

I held the secret to Brooke's location and so the guns didn't scare me. If they killed me right here, the secret would go with me. Sure, they could scour the town. But by that time she would probably have succumbed to whatever she had. Either that or someone would find her. Make her their little American pet.

Pity.

"She's just a little GIRL," the agent growled. "Don't you have a soul?"

I laughed. "My brother here took my soul."

Nick shook his head. "Aaron, you're nuts. I never did anything but try to help you."

I snorted. "No one in our family could be better than you. I had no choice to do what I did. Then you came and stuck your nose into that. God, you ruin everyone's life that you touch. Don't you realize that?"

Nick just looked at me. I saw pity in his eyes.

Pity. For me.

How dare he.

"Aaron, I will give you any amount of money you want right now if you just tell me where Brooke is."

Nick's voice was as smooth as silk. I tossed my head back.

"This isn't about money anymore."

It was time. I didn't want to discuss this any further. A large tear rolled down Nick's cheek.

"Good-bye," I said coldly.

I heard a click and I reacted quickly. The bullet grazed my shoulder as I jumped. There was pain, but it was far from the worst pain I had ever felt. The most important thing was that I was airborne. I closed my eyes. I plunged feet first into the cold unrelenting waters. The pain in my shoulder intensified as it scraped against the rocks, but I was able to get a hold and drag myself up. My lungs inhaled the salty air.

Aaron Carter wasn't dying tonight.

Maybe I had just taken the scenic route after all.
Chapter 14 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Fourteen - March 12

-- Nick --

I ran to the edge of the platform but before I could dive down after him, a strong arm held me back.

"It's a suicide mission. Don't even think about it."

"He did it once and lived. He's going to do it again."

"Then we've just got to play smart," Mike said.

The next few hours played out like a very fuzzy old film. Mike and I scoured the lighthouse, but Brooke was nowhere to be found. Mike called some of his contacts; within hours, FBI agents and Cozumel officials suddenly flooded the place to scout out the entire area.

Kevin had been taken to the hospital. Mike had ordered me to stay in the hotel room. I guess one injured Backstreet Boy was enough on his watch. I paced the room waiting for news from anybody about anything. Brian was the first person to call.

"Did you catch him?"

I closed my eyes. I replayed Aaron's words. Brooke was sick. Dying. Dying.

"No. He...got away." I exhaled a shaky breath. "And Kev?"

"You're going to throw up."

It wasn't the answer I had expected.

"What?"

"Well..."

"He got his balls fucking sliced and diced."

That came from AJ. My eyes widened.

"What?"

"Addy's going to be pissed. I hope she didn't want any more kids."

"But--"

"His batters are suspended but he's still going to be able to play the game."

Leave it to Howie to manage to find an analogy.

"Is he awake?"

"He's sedated," Howie said. He lowered his voice. "He's my fucking hero."

I couldn't agree more. There was no way I was going to be able to repay Kev back.

"I'll come visit as soon as I can," I said.

"Have they found Aaron? Brooke?"

I swallowed yet another lump in my throat. "No."

Howie sighed. "We're praying for you man."

"Thank you."

I hung up. Mike was keeping me in the hotel room. Time crawled when I was trapped. He should have known that. I dialed his number.

"Any news?"

"No, but I've got a full crew on this. Henry's taking care of your mom."

"My mom?"

"He caught her at the airport leaving for Russia. She spilled her guts the moment her face was pressed against the wall. Aaron had promised to ship Brooke over to Russia so she could keep her."

I sank down onto the bed. It was a fucking miracle I had lived this long and turned out normal. Angel and I were the only normal ones. My mother. My own mother had tried to screw me over. She was in on this scheme to rip my heart out. Not that I was surprised.

"They better lock her up and throw away the key," I said bitterly.

"I'll be fighting every step of the way for it to happen," Mike assured me. "I'll call you if I know more."

Another renegade tear fell.

"Thanks Mike."

I hung up and dialed Liv. She answered on the first ring.

"My god Nick, what's going on? I just heard about Jane and then Kev..."

"Things are a mess Liv," I said. I couldn't help it. I broke down. "Baby, I don't have Brooke yet. Everyone's out looking. Aaron told me she's sick."

I heard Liv crying on the other end. "She's got to come home."

"I know. I won't stop until she is."

We spoke for a few more minutes and I whispered an 'I Love You' on speaker for Noah and Peyton. I hung up feeling like a shell of a man.

And the shell was cracking fast.

It was time for the caged bird to run free once more.

---------------------------------

-- Aaron --

My shoulder was bleeding pretty bad. I had taken off my t-shirt, blotting the wound with the fabric. My fingers held it tightly in place. I snuck back into the basement of the old funeral home.

I could still smell the embalming fluid. And vomit. Rancid vomit. It took my eyes a minute to focus in the darkness. I made out the outline of the mattress and the little mass on top. The girl was curled up in the fetal position. The mattress was stained by the regurgitation and stomach acid.

I sank down against the wall. I was tired. My high had worn off. I ached for a fix but there was no money and no contacts. I yanked my bloody knife out of my pants and slipped off my hoodie. I created sloppy bandages by ripping and slicing my t-shirt.

"You still alive?" I growled. I paused and listened. I heard shallow raspy breathing.

I closed my eyes. I needed to take a nap. When I woke up...well...I would finish the job. No need to make the little rat suffer. Better to have her blood soak up the floor.

Then I would move on.

-------------------------------

-- Mike --

This was every man's worst nightmare. My target had gotten away. My son-in-law was holed up in a hotel tearing his hair out from the agony of waiting. I felt like screaming.

I had never had children of my own. My first wife had died of breast cancer and I had truly believed that a life of happiness was over. Until I met Carrie. And with her came Liv. And Nick. And the kids.

They might not have been biologically mine, but they were my grandchildren. I adored everything about their bright smiles and bubbly personalities.

Aaron had messed with my granddaughter. It was a stupid move.

Most of the agents and officials scouring the town were hitting up anything and everything. I was more selective. My years of training had taught me that it was always the place least obvious.

I was on the outskirts of town. It was a residential type of neighborhood. A few guys were checking the old abandoned houses.

My gut told me that Aaron was insane enough to kill Brooke. The thought was like a lead weight in my stomach. But I forced myself to enter the mind.

The mind of a psychopath.

An abandoned place would be ideal. But not just any ideal place. It would have to be someplace that a typical person wouldn't want to stay. Perhaps some place that already reaked of violence. Or death.

I closed my eyes and focuse on my breathing. In. Out. In. Out.

I opened my eyes.

Residental houses. An old supermarket. A funeral parlor. A dry cleaners.

A funeral parlor.

It was worth a shot. I walked around the building. It was abandoned. The windows were shuttered. I studied the front door. It wasn't disturbed. I carefully made my way around the building. I drew my gun.

It was best to be prepared.

Two wooden doors leading to what was the underground part of the home were around back. A high fence blocked everything from view. It looked like the ground around the doors had recently been disturbed.

I slowly pulled open the door. The sun caught the dust and magnified it. Stairs led downwards.

The proper thing to do was call for backup. I had never been the type to do the proper thing. I lowered my foot down to the first step.

Solid concrete.

I made my way down slowly, sticking to the wall. Cobwebs hung over every available surface. With my free hand, I reached for a penlight. I didn't get the opportunity to turn it on.

"Put the gun away."

It was his voice. My eyes were adjusting quickly, as was my nose. I smelled vomit. Aaron's figure was kneeling next to a mattress. I made out a smaller shape. A shape with ragged blonde hair.

Brooklyn.

"If you don't put down the FUCKING gun, I will slice her throat RIGHT now."

Slowly I knelt down. I placed my gun on the cold concrete. I didn't take my eyes off him.

"You're good old man. But not that good."

My hand clenched into a fist. He was cocky. I bit my tongue. The last thing I needed to do was rile him up. I was so close to rescuing my little granddaughter. This couldn't go wrong. It just couldn't.

I had to trust my instincts.
Chapter 15 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Fifteen

-- Mike --

"What do you think old man? Do you think she's dying? It sure sounds like it to me."

I could hear Brooke gasping, no rasping, for breath.

"How can you think of killing an innocent little girl?" I asked. I kept my eyes on Aaron, fighting the urge to look at Brooke. I needed to stay alert. On guard. Diverting my attention would give him the opportunity to rush at me with the bloody knife he held in his hands.

"What's another life?" he said breezily. The blatant disregard ate at me. It was these types of hardened criminals I hated the most.

"You can't run forever."

"Maybe I don't want to. Maybe I want to cause just enough destruction to leave my mark. A lasting legacy."

He had done that already. There was no way this family was ever going to forget this. But I wasn't going to tell him that. It wouldn't give him that satisfaction.

"if you stop now, you'll have a chance."

He snorted. "I didn't stand a fucking chance the moment I broke out of prison. And you remember how I got there, right? You put me in there."

That day was crystal clear in my mind. I could see the beach, the sun reflecting off of the ocean waves. Nick and Angel had thought they were going to save the day.

They were all so young. And foolish.

Aaron knelt back down and roughly pushed his hand along the side of Brooke's face. A low moan filled the room. I swore I saw a smile of satisfaction.

I took the opportunity. My hand groped along the wall and I grabbed a loose stone. Testing the weight of it in my hand I did a quick calculation and chucked it. It landed on the far side of the room making it sound like someone was trying to get the door open to the basement from inside the house.

"What the fuck?"

Aaron's head shot up. It caught him off guard. He stood and walked over to investigate. I knew that he would see if I tried to kneel for my gun.

But that's why I always carried a spare. I yanked the gun from the holster strapped to my back and trained it on Aaron.

"ON THE GROUND!"

He swirled around.

"WHAT THE--"

His gaze went to the gun on the ground and then back to the one in my hand. Even through the dimness I could see the curl of his lip. He let out a scream.

"NEVER!"

His head lowered and he charged me.

I didn't bat an eye. I pulled the trigger.

The sound magnified ten-fold. It was a direct shot, right to the head.

A kill shot.

As if in slow motion, the body stopped and collapsed to the ground.

I hadn't made him suffer. Oh, how I had wanted to make him suffer. But Brooke needed medical attention immediately.

The most important thing was that I had got my man.

--------------------------------

-- Nick --

"Where's Mike?"

"Have you seen Mike?"

I seemed to be stuck on repeat. I started in town and slowly but surely everyone scouring the buildings was sending me farther away from the hustle and bustle of center city. Clubs and restaurants disappeared and made way for actual residential houses and neighborhoods.

"Have you seen Mike?" I asked for the thousandth time. An agent looked at me.

"You're Nick, right? Mike said you were supposed to stay--"

"I don't care. I don't listen."

The agent smirked. "So I've heard. He's around here. He came down with this unit."

So I was close. That eased my mind. I didn't trust anyone but Mike.

If anyone could find Brooke it would be---

"I NEED ALL AGENTS OVER HERE!"

Mike was standing in the middle of the street screaming on his walkie, but I think everyone in range heard him without it.

"Suspect has been taken down. We need an ambulance."

"MIKE!"

"Nick, what the hell are you doing?"

I ran towards him.

"Brooke she's--"

"Alive. In the basement."

I followed him around the back of the building. Mike seemed tense, but calm. His hand held his gun with a death grip.

One of the wooden doors was lying on the ground. Mike ripped the other one off and he took off down the concrete stairs. I followed.

The odor that assailed my senses was vile. It was a combination of vomit and...I couldn't place the smell.

And then suddenly I could.

Blood. Spilling out on the concrete.

Blood.

"I had to take him down I--"

Mike started to explain, but I didn't care. I spotted the small mass on the filthy mattress and I knew it was Brooke.

"I wouldn't move her I--"

My feet propelled me forward. I knelt down next to the mattress. I quickly undid the ropes binding her small hands and feet. Her breathing scared me. I had never heard something so gravely coming out of someone so small. I placed a hand on her head.

It was so hot my fingertips burned.

"Brooke," I whispered. "Brooke, it's daddy. You're safe. I'm taking you home."

I feared that she had slipped into some type of coma. To play witness to whatever had gone on down here and to not scream...

Ever so slowly her eyes cracked open. Her blonde lashes were caked with matted crust. I could just barely see the eyes that looked so much like my own.

"Daddy," she whispered. For it was just a whisper.

And then there was nothing.
Chapter 16 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Sixteen

"It could have been worse. A lot worse. I think what we're looking at is pneumonia as a direct result of a staph infection from an open cut and dehydration."

"But she--"

"She should be just fine. I'd say maybe three or four days. She'll be feeling better by tomorrow after getting hydrated."

My eyes went from the IV coming out of her tiny hand up to the IV bags that hung above the bed. She had struggled to stay awake all the way to the hospital but sleep had taken her. The medication only made her more drowsy.

Not a second had gone by since I had knelt down beside her that I had let her out of my sight. The doctors had told me several times to step out of the room. I hadn't listened.

Liv had been beside herself when I had made the call. She had taken the first available flight; her mom was staying with the kids. It was too bad I couldn't have had a mom like that.

My mom was currently rotting behind bars. Right where she needed to be.

Mike had stayed with me for quite awhile. We didn't talk much, but it was nice knowing he was there. He was just as concerned about Brooke as I was. He had just left to pick Liv up at the airport. Then he had to go and be debriefed.

I didn't know how much more I could love that man.

"Mr. Carter?"

I turned. A woman was standing in the doorway. Nicely dressed.

"May I come in?"

I nodded.

She came over and stood by me, looking down at Brooke. The bed seemed to swallow her up.

"My name is Alicia Sanchez and I'm one of the hospital psychologists. I specialize in talking with children. I'd like to talk to Brooklyn when she wakes up."

"She's been through a lot," I said.

"I know. And she's going to have a lot of questions. As I'm sure you do."

My worst fear was that I was going to lose the sweet energetic little girl I loved so deeply. I hoped that we could convince her that safety still existed. I nodded.

"I'm going to check on her tomorrow. I'd also like to talk to you and your wife then as well."

"That would be fine."

She left and it was just Brooke and me once more. I lowered my head to the mattress.

It had been a long five days...

-----------------------

"Nick? Nick, honey wake up."

A soft hand was pressed against my shoulder. I looked up. Liv was peering down at me.

"What? Wh--"

"You fell asleep."

I sat up. Liv glanced at Brooke and then at me. She wrapped her arms around me. I held her tight.

"I promised you I was going to bring her home," I whispered. "But I had a little help."

Liv laughed through tears. Happy tears. "Mike told me you wouldn't stay out of it."

I kissed the top of her head. "Not where our daughter's concerned."

A low moan filled the room. Liv was back on her feet. She crawled up on the bed and placed a gentle hand on Brooke's cheek. I saw Brooke's head turn towards it. She took a deep breath.

"Mommy," she whispered. Liv leaned down.

"Yes, sweetie. It's mommy. Mommy and daddy are here. You're safe."

"Daddy?"

Brooke's hand, the one I had been holding before I fell asleep, slid across the mattress. I took it in my own.

"Hey BooBoo. Just get some rest. We're not going anywhere."

It was a rough day watching Brooke fight through the fever and chills and everything else that came along with the pneumonia, but it still didn't compare to the five days we had spent without her. Liv and I were picking at some horrid hospital food when I heard a light knock on the door.

"How's she doing?"

The sun was setting and I had three guys peering in from the doorway. I smiled.

"Hey! Come in."

AJ walked in and Brian and Howie trailed behind. Each of them put a stuffed animal on the bed.

Thankfully, there was no giraffes.

"I can't thank you guys enough," Liv said. Bri smiled.

"We didn't do anything."

"You guys don't give yourself enough credit. You chased him all the way down here," I pointed out.

"Yeah...well, Kevin was the one to hunt him down like a bloodhound," AJ said. "He has the battle scars to prove it."

The guys each made a face. I had a feeling I had a similar look on my own.

"How's he doing?"

"Addy just got down here. Her dad's watching Dan. He's feeling better now that he has his own personal nurse," AJ said with a grin. Liv rolled her eyes.

"She also threatened to kick our asses for not providing adequate backup," Brian said. Knowing Addy, that was a serious threat.

"I'll try to avoid her when I sneak in for a visit," I said. Bri smiled.

"Has she...said anything?" Howie asked. He nodded in Brooke's direction.

"Not much. The psychologist is going to come in and talk to us tomorrow," I explained.

"I can't even imagine..." AJ trailed off. Everyone got quiet. Being in the lighthouse with Aaron for such a short time had been enough to rattle me to the core.

Brooke had been stuck with him for days.

The guys spent just a little longer talking to Liv and I and then they each leaned down and kissed Brooke's forehead. They were all leaving for home the next day. Everyone except Kevin. I hugged each of the guys in turn and watched them walk out of the room. My brothers.

True brothers.

Once they had left, I reached for Brooke's hand again. Liv took other.

"Nick..." Liv said quietly. She didn't have to say any more.

Brooke's hand squeezed mine. I could only assume she was doing the same to Liv's hand.

It was then that I truly knew that it was all going to be okay.
Chapter 17 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Seventeen - March 14

Due to the pneumonia, it was almost two days before the psychologist was able to talk to Brooke. Brooke's strength was returning, albeit slowly. And she was quiet. So quiet. She had never been quiet a minute of her life.

Liv and I kept asking her what we could get her. She just reached out and locked her fingers around our wrists. She just wanted us to stay.

We weren't going anywhere.

Brooke eyed Alicia warily as she took a seat by Brooke's bedside. Liv was in a chair on Brooke's other side. I had stretched out along the bed. Brooke snuggled up to me. I ran a hand along her fine blonde hair. It had been freshly washed, but it was still so ragged. A glaring reminder...

"My name's Alicia. What's your name?"

Her voice was gentle but Brooke looked at me. It was as if she was screening her through me. I nodded encouragingly.

"Brooke," she whispered. Her cheek pressed into my chest.

"I wanted to talk to you this morning. I heard you've been a brave little girl."

Brooke shrugged. Her fingers played with a loose thread at the bottom of my t-shirt.

"Do you know what happened?"

Brooke tugged at the thread and it came loose. She slowly looked over at Alicia.

"That man hateded me and my daddy," she said simply.

I closed my eyes.

"Do you know why?"

There was a soft tug on my shirt. I opened my eyes. Brooke was looking at me again. I hated that I didn't have all the answers.

"Daddy who was that man?"

I licked my lips. This was more than she had talked in two whole days.

"That was my brother, sweetheart," I said.

"Why did he cut my piggytails?"

"Your daddy's brother was sick," Alicia interrupted. Brooke looked at her in confusion.

"I got sick," she said. As if by reflex, she ran a hand along her nose. Alicia smiled.

"There's different types of sick. He was sick up here."

Alicia pointed to the top of her head. Brooke glanced up at me. My arms tightened around her.

"He told me I had to be quiet," Brooke said. "Or he would kill my daddy."

Her bottom lip began to quiver. Liv was trying to hide the tears dripping from her eyes.

"How did that make you feel?"

Brooke sniffled. "Scared. I love my daddy."

"Oh Brooke," I whispered. I kissed the top of her head. "I love you too."

"Did the man do anything besides cut your hair?"

"He kick-ded me."

"Where?"

Brooke pointed to her side. The doctors had discovered the huge bruise along her ribs the day before. It still killed me to think about it.

"Did you cry?"

Brooke nodded. She seemed to have decided it was okay to talk to Alicia.

"I did but then my eyes stucked together," she explained. "And I threwed up."

Alicia hadn't made any notes. She was keeping this informal. She wasn't coming across as just another medical professional. She leaned forward.

"Honey, do you know what happened to that man?"

Brooke glanced back up at me.

"Papa shot him, didn't he daddy? He fell down and couldn't hurt me anymore."

Liv reached over and rubbed Brooke's back. I nodded and kissed her forehead. It was still warm.

"That's right. He can never hurt you again."

There was a pause as it all sunk in.

"Brooke, what do you want to be when you grow up?"

Brooke looked at her in surprise.

"When I'm big like mommy and daddy?"

Alicia nodded.

Brooke smiled. She actually smiled. It was like the gates of Heaven had shone down right onto those little innocent lips.

"I want to sing like my daddy."

"Why?"

Brooke sighed. It wasn't a sigh of distress. It was a contented sigh. It was the sigh she always had when I wrapped her up in a big fluffy towel after a bath and pretended to eat her up I loved her so.

"I want to make people happy like he does."

As hard as I tried, I couldn't hold back the tear that fell from my eye.

She had no idea the impact she had already made on the world.

There were so many people that loved her enough to die for her...and she was already thinking about giving back.

----------------------------

"Kev, I can't tell you how sorry I am."

Kevin was sitting up in his hospital bed, poking a spoon into what was supposed to be pudding.

"They say that if a man can live through that, he can live through anything. I should be good for the next million years."

He cracked a smile. I couldn't help but return it.

"How's Addy?"

"Well, she's still going on about getting revenge on the other guys. But on the other hand she keeps teasing me about a 'free vasectomy,' so I think she's going to get over it."

Kev ran a hand through his hair.

"Actually, we weren't planning on having any more kids anyhow. Nine months without being able to ride drove her nuts."

I bit the inside of my cheek. The old Nick would have jumped at the chance to make a joke about the whole 'nuts' thing, but I refrained.

It was the least I could do.

"When do you get out of here?"

"I leave tomorrow. I don't want to see Cozumel for as long as I live."

"You and me both."

Kev finally gave up on the pudding. It sploshed over the side.

"How's Brooke?"

"She talked to the psychologist today. It went better than I thought. But we have a long way to go."

Kevin studied me. It was the way he always looked at me when he was pulling the 'patriarchial' thing on me.

"Nick, you have become one of the best fathers I've ever seen."

I looked at him in surprise. "What?"

Kev laughed. "When I first met you, you were the most annoying, self-absorbed little punk that I had ever met in my whole life. If you would have told me twenty five years ago that you would have gone the lengths of the world to save someone besides yourself I wouldn't have believed it. Nick, Brooke is a lucky little girl."

It meant more than I could say. Especially coming from Kevin. He had always been so critical.

I held out my hand for a handshake. Kev shook his head and opened his arms.

"Naw, my arms aren't broken. Just my balls. Give me a hug."

I laughed and leaned over. I hugged him tightly.

"I love you, Kev."

"Well, now you're just getting mushy."

I pulled away. Kev smiled.

"Love you too, punk."

"I need to have a talk with you."

Kev and I both glanced over to the doorway. Addy was standing there with her hands on her hips. If she had a rope I had a feeling I would have been hogtied and pinned to the ground for a wicked wedgie.

I hopped off the bed and quickly ran around her.

"Sorry, Addy! No time to chat!"

"You can run, but you can't hide Nick!"

I took off down the hallway. When I reached the elevator I slowed to a walk.

I was surprised when Addy came up behind me.

"Don't hurt me," I whimpered. Her arms went around my waist.

She hugged me.

"Give Brooke my love," she said gently. I glanced down at her. She smiled and turned back towards Kev's room.

"You're all bark!" I called after her. She whirled around and pointed at me. I clamped my mouth shut.

It was better not to push it.
Chapter 18 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Eighteen - March 15

"Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Brooklyn, Happy Birthday to you!"

Brooke smiled up at us and then looked back down at the biggest chocolate cupcake I had ever seen in my entire life.

"Where's the candle?" she asked.

I knew that flames and hospitals didn't mix, but I couldn't help but pull out a match. I swiped it against my leg and held it up to her. She gave me a look that reminded me so much of Liv when she was trying not to roll her eyes. Even still, she closed her eyes and blew it out.

There was no doubt in my mind that Brooke had made a wish. I just hoped that whatever it was would come true. My baby deserved the world. I was feeling sentimental again. My wish had already been granted. Brooke had been kept alive by the grace of angels to see her seventh birthday...and hopefully many, many birthdays to come.

Brooke fell back against the pillow and stuck a big gob of frosting into her mouth.

"How's it feel to be seven?" I asked. She tilted her head thoughtfully.

"It feels...chocolatey."

---------------------

March 18

"My birthday is lasting forever!"

Brooke was sitting on my lap; Liv was right by my side. We were on our way home. Brooke was well enough to travel even though every now and then she still had a coughing spell. The fever had broke and with it her energy had returned.

Liv had already contacted a psychologist back home so that we could continue counseling sessions. We had decided that even Noah and Pey (but especially Noah) would benefit from a couple sessions. The last thing we wanted to do was pretend this never happened. Of course, in my mind, that would have been next to impossible to do.

"Is papa going to be there when we get home?" Brooke asked. She had been asking about Mike constantly.

"Both your papas," I assured her. My dad had promised to stop by.

"And memaw?"

"And memaw," I confirmed.

Brooke didn't even ask about my mom. I pressed my head back against the seat and closed my eyes.

Even if mom did eventually get out, there was no way in hell she was going to see her grandchildren.

At least my children, that is.

------------------------

"BROOKE!"

"NONO!"

Noah had charged at his sister the moment we pulled up. She hopped out of the car and his arms were around her like rubberbands. She hugged him tightly.

He didn't even care that she had just called him 'NoNo.'

"Your hair is short!"

"It got cut-ed."

"But it will grow," Liv said gently.

"MEEMAW!"

Liv's mom was standing in the doorway holding Peyton's hand. Brooke managed to get out of Noah's hug and ran towards her. Liv's mom knelt down and held out her free arm. Brooke was soon wrapped up and covered with kisses.

As this was going on, Mike appeared in the doorway. Our eyes met. He smiled.

"Welcome home," he said quietly. It was a far different voice than the one I had heard screaming with authority in Cozumel.

"It's good to be home," I answered.

Mike glanced down at Brooke.

"Do you know how many birthday presents you have to open?"

Brooke's head shot up. "Presents?"

Noah ran up behind her.

"There's a HUGE one! Can I help you open it?"

Before, Brooke would have screamed a loud 'NO!' and made a big show of unwrapping it herself while Noah squirmed on the floor. But surprisingly she nodded.

"Yeah, you and Pey can help."

Liv's mom stood up and the kids scampered inside.

"I think we're back to normal," Liv whispered. I pressed my lips against her temple.

"As normal as Carters can be," I corrected.

-------------------------

My dad was late (as usual), but he did show up in time for cake. The kids sat admiring Brooke's presents including her own karaoke booth (which had been the present in the big box). I hadn't seen dad for awhile. I was shocked to see how old he looked. He wrapped me in a tight hug.

"I'm so sorry this happened Nick," he whispered. He pulled back and I saw the dampness in the corners of his eyes.

I knew that those tears were as much for me and Brooke as they were for Aaron. No matter what, Aaron had been his son.

And then there was the knowledge that mom had been in on the whole thing.

Even though they were divorced, I think dad still felt partially responsible for her actions.

"Have you heard from Angel?" I asked. Dad sighed. Before he could answer, the phone rang. For the first time in over a week, I didn't fear the sound.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Nick. I wanted to call and say hi to Brooke."

It was Angel. She sounded weak...and congested.

"Angel, how are you?" I asked gently.

"I've...been better."

I had always teased Angel about her 'twin' sense, but even she couldn't deny there was a connection. Deep down, I prayed that she wouldn't blame me. Angel was really the only sibling I had left (well, the only one that talked to me without wanting money). I didn't want to lose her and Logan in my life.

"Angel, I--"

"You had to do what you had to do. I prayed that he would come to his senses but..."

She trailed off. A sob escaped.

"Nick, we've got to stick together."

I rubbed my eyes.

"Sis, I'm not going anywhere."

We talked for a few more minutes and I passed the phone to Brooke. While she chatted happily with her auntie Angel, Mike pulled me aside.

"I saw your mom yesterday," he said quietly. Dad was on the other side of the room swinging Peyton around. I folded my arms. "Oh?"

"I think she's going to be in a padded cell for a long time. The squad chose me to tell her about Aaron's death."

My eyes widened. "How'd that go?"

Mike pulled the collar of his shirt away from his neck. My eyes widened. I could see deep bruises in the shape of long fingers.

"Not so hot. But that just tacked on a few more years."

"When do you think she'll get out?"

"I'd say ten to twenty. By then Brooke will be all grown up."

I watched Brooke swinging the mic around in her hand, the other hand holding the phone. Her little face broke into a smile. I couldn't wrap my mind around the idea of her all grown up.

I wanted to freeze her at this age forever.

As if she read my thoughts, she looked over at me. The microphone fell out of her hand and she blew me a kiss. I caught it and held it to my heart...because that's where she was always going to be.

Daddy's little girl.

THE END


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even though The Coaster Series is complete, the story is far from over! Follow along with the teenage Backstreet 'girls' in the new series Coaster Girls, which includes Brooke's story, American Honey.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10225