American Honey by evergreenwriter83
Summary:
Photobucket


My name's Brooke Carter and I'm sixteen years old. There's two important things you should know about me...

Number One: My first single hit #1 on the Billboard charts on my fifteenth birthday.

Number Two: I'm still a virgin...even though the whole world thinks differently.

Being famous isn't easy, but finding true love is even harder.

(part of the Coaster Girls series; a spin-off to the Coaster Series)
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick, Other
Genres: Drama, Dramedy, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Sexual Assault/Rape, Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: The Coaster Girls
Chapters: 51 Completed: Yes Word count: 65170 Read: 100851 Published: 09/03/10 Updated: 09/20/10

1. Chapter 1 by evergreenwriter83

2. Chapter 2 by evergreenwriter83

3. Chapter 3 by evergreenwriter83

4. Chapter 4 by evergreenwriter83

5. Chapter 5 by evergreenwriter83

6. Chapter 6 by evergreenwriter83

7. Chapter 7 by evergreenwriter83

8. Chapter 8 by evergreenwriter83

9. Chapter 9 by evergreenwriter83

10. Chapter 10 by evergreenwriter83

11. Chapter 11 by evergreenwriter83

12. Chapter 12 by evergreenwriter83

13. Chapter 13 by evergreenwriter83

14. Chapter 14 by evergreenwriter83

15. Chapter 15 by evergreenwriter83

16. Chapter 16 by evergreenwriter83

17. Chapter 17 by evergreenwriter83

18. Chapter 18 by evergreenwriter83

19. Chapter 19 by evergreenwriter83

20. Chapter 20 by evergreenwriter83

21. Chapter 21 by evergreenwriter83

22. Chapter 22 by evergreenwriter83

23. Chapter 23 by evergreenwriter83

24. Chapter 24 by evergreenwriter83

25. Chapter 25 by evergreenwriter83

26. Chapter 26 by evergreenwriter83

27. Chapter 27 by evergreenwriter83

28. Chapter 28 by evergreenwriter83

29. Chapter 29 by evergreenwriter83

30. Chapter 30 by evergreenwriter83

31. Chapter 31 by evergreenwriter83

32. Chapter 32 by evergreenwriter83

33. Chapter 33 by evergreenwriter83

34. Chapter 34 by evergreenwriter83

35. Chapter 35 by evergreenwriter83

36. Chapter 36 by evergreenwriter83

37. Chapter 37 by evergreenwriter83

38. Chapter 38 by evergreenwriter83

39. Chapter 39 by evergreenwriter83

40. Chapter 40 by evergreenwriter83

41. Chapter 41 by evergreenwriter83

42. Chapter 42 by evergreenwriter83

43. Chapter 43 by evergreenwriter83

44. Chapter 44 by evergreenwriter83

45. Chapter 45 by evergreenwriter83

46. Chapter 46 by evergreenwriter83

47. Chapter 47 by evergreenwriter83

48. Chapter 48 by evergreenwriter83

49. Chapter 49 by evergreenwriter83

50. Chapter 50 by evergreenwriter83

51. Epilogue by evergreenwriter83

Chapter 1 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter One

"Miami, you've been an amazing audience tonight. One year ago tomorrow you guys made this song number one on the Billboard Charts. I have the best fans in the world!"

The audience cheered, and the music started. I grabbed the microphone and walked away from the stand. This was the part of the evening I liked the best. The last song. The feeling of accomplishment.

Absolutely no one that knows me better
No one can make me feel so good
How did we stay so long together
When everybody, everybody said we never would


I looked behind me. As always, dad had snuck up on the drums for the last song. I flashed him a smile and he beamed.

And just when I start to think they're right
That love has died...


There you go making my heart beat again
Heart beat again, Heart beat again
There you go making me feel like a kid
Won't you do it, a do it one time?


I twirled around. I pretended to rope in my guitar guy. He stumbled towards me. Then we leaned back to back.

There you go pulling me right back in
Right back in, Right back in
And I know I'm never letting this go
I'm stuck on you.


Woah, stuck like glue, you and me baby we're stuck like glue!

I was all over the stage. Stuck Like Glue always reminded me of why I loved being a singer. I leaned down and grabbed some of the hands waving in the air. A couple girls squealed.

When it was finally over, the curtain lowered, and I ran backstage. It was a warm March night and my hair clung to my neck and back like wet snakes. I took out my earpieces and shook my head.

"You rocked it, superstar."

I turned around. Dad still had the drumsticks in his hands. He wrapped me up in a huge hug. I laughed.

My name is Brooke Carter and I had just finished my first U.S. tour. I was so happy that I just wanted to go tearing back onstage and do it all over again.

It had all started a year and a half ago. My dad, Nick Carter, one-fifth of the famous Backstreet Boys, had secured me a record deal. I had wanted to be a singer just like him ever since I was little. I still remember freaking out when he told me that I was going to get to record a whole album.

Of course, I had never expected for my album to hit it big. Dad always said that people who made music to get rich weren't real musicians. You had to love music to make it your life. That was a pretty deep statement to explain to a young kid, but I knew exactly what he meant. I ate, slept, and breathed music.

The other piece of advice dad had given me was in the form of a warning. He told me that fame was a strange thing. When or if it ever hit, it came and went fast. The most important thing that you could do was to enjoy it while it lasted but not fall apart when it left.

For me, fame had hit faster than lightning.

My first single, Stuck Like Glue, had been one of the fastest rising songs on the Billboard charts. It was a remake of an old Sugarland song that we had tweaked to make it my own. It hit number one on my fifteenth birthday. While I was blowing out the birthday candles on my cake, the phone was ringing off the hook.

Things had snowballed after that. Dad had gone on the road with me for tour. We had done twenty five dates. The last one was here in Tampa. I had spotted my entire family in the crowd along with my best friend Kayleigh.

I knew that the music executives were going to be clamoring for a second album before I even had a chance to unwind.

But all I could think about was the big 1-6.

My sixteenth birthday.

"Well Boo, you ready to head home?" dad said. I smiled.

"I'm so ready to head home."

I headed off to the showers. I peeled off my jeans, shirt, and beaded vest and stepped underneath the spray. I closed my eyes.

For the past year, I had been on the cover of every single magazine I had read since I was little. It was a startling thing to see your face plastered everywhere.

And it was even harder when the stuff that was printed wasn't true.

Mom constantly complained that I was being compared to Britney Spears. I had watched her True Life story enough to know that my life was nothing like hers. But, the media had a mind of its own.

According to the media, I was a wild party girl who liked to sneak into clubs and drink. I had been to maybe four clubs in the past year and that was either with my parents or with friends. The clubs that I went to with friends didn't serve a drop of alcohol.

And then there was the endless string of so-called 'boyfriends.' Every other week, I was linked to one guy or another. Besides my 'party-girl' image, I was also supposedly a sex fiend.

Considering I've only had two boyfriends in my life and I've done nothing more than kiss, that rumor probably annoyed me most of all. It was making it impossible to actually find a boyfriend. The guys I met lately must have been reading the same magazines I had. They were looking for an easy one-nighter.

I wasn't that type of girl.

I turned off the shower spray and grabbed a towel. I grabbed a second towel for my hair.

Some people would say that my hair was way too long, but I didn't care. I loved my hair. I didn't care that I was the hair and makeup squad's worst nightmare. I savored the feeling of my soft hair floating down my back. I was never going to cut it. I blamed my uncle for that.

Even though my life has been pretty perfect, I had experienced one tramatic event in my life. A few days before my seventh birthday I had been kidnapped by my uncle. He had held me captive, kicked me, and cut my hair off with a dirty knife. I had developed pneumonia and would have died if my grandpa and dad hadn't practically bulldozed their way through two countries to get me back.

And ever since then, I had shuddered at the thought of cutting my hair. Long hair reminded me of happiness.

Short hair reminded me of being away from my family.

As a daddy's girl, being away from family didn't work well for me at all.

I couldn't wait to towel off, get changed, and meet my family.

I was ready to go home.
Chapter 2 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Two

"And then this girl in front of me went all ballistic and started crying. I was cracking up."

Noah was enthustiastically explaining what happened from his view in the crowd during the concert. He waggled the end of his piece of pizza for emphasis. "I'm pretty sure she almost wet herself."

I groaned. "You're exaggerating."

"I'm not exaggerating. I saw forty year old dudes with beer belly's trying to fit into one of your concert t-shirts."

I laughed. Noah grinned, folded his slice of pizza in half and stuffed half of the slice in his mouth with one bite.

Noah was my younger brother, but only by ten months. For just a few more hours we were both fifteen. Then I would move on. I never really liked those few weeks when we were the same age. He always got kind of cocky about that.

"I love what they did with your hair tonight," Kayleigh said. "What color did they put in there?"

"It was just a lighter blonde. It washed right out."

"Sad," Kayleigh said seriously. She plucked all the pepperoni off of her slice of pizza and dabbed the grease of the cheese with a napkin.

I glanced at my slice. As a pop singer (and teenage girl) who was always in the limelight, I probably should do the same thing. But I loved pepperoni. I used to call them spicy buttons when I was little. I couldn't send them off to live a solitary life on my plate. I picked up my piece and took a bite. The grease slid down my throat.

I was a happy girl.

"I think you should add stunts," Peyton suggested between large bites. She was about a year and a half younger than Noah. When she was little, she had been a girly girl. I had been a tomboy. Now, at age thirteen, she was a freakin' daredevil who wouldn't be caught dead in a skirt. Her hair matched her personality. It was short and it flipped out in all directions.

I spent hours every day in hair and makeup. We seriously had to rent storage space for my wardrobe.

Gone were the days of me dragging toys through the dirt. I was, and I quote, 'a wet-dream for teenage boys everywhere.'

Seriously. Teen People printed that. I'm not making it up.

"And clowns! You need clowns!"

I laughed and took another bite of pizza. I remembered to swallow before I answered.

"Why clowns?"

"Because they could spray water into the crowd!"

My littlest brother Landon was four and a half. He was always coming up with off-the-wall ideas. Whereas Noah had inherited dad's looks, I daresay Landon inherited his personality.

"I think you need male dancers," Kayleigh said.

"I don't think so."

That statement came from dad. He was sitting leg-to-leg with mom and they were sharing a piece of pizza.

Yeah, that's right. I said sharing a piece of pizza. In July, it was going to be their sixteenth wedding anniversary and dad had been extra mushy lately, trying to make every second of their 'grand' fifteen count.

I just prayed the celebration didn't result in another little brother or sister. Dad loved being a dad. He said it was way more important than anything else he's ever accomplished.

Like two hundred million records didn't mean a thing.

"I'm just glad to be going home," I said. I took a sip of water. I figured skipping the soda made it okay to eat the pepperonis.

"Oh my god. Brooke Carter? Can I take a picture with you?"

I swallowed hard and looked up. My eyes watered as I tried not to cough like a cat with a hairball stuck in its throat. A girl around Peyton's age was standing a couple feet away, holding her camera and seriously looking like she was going to start jumping up and down. I gave a little side cough.

"Sure," I said. I scooted back my chair and stood up. From out of nowhere the girl's mom came and took the camera. I put an arm around her shoulder, flashed a big 'Carter' smile, and voila.

A picture-perfect moment in a dark pizza parlor.

"Thank you!" the girl said. She walked away and I counted to three in my head.

There was the squeal.

I sat back down. Noah just laughed.

"Shut up NoNo," I said calmly, flicking my napkin back over my lap. Kayleigh laughed.

Noah almost turned purple.

I had been calling Noah 'NoNo' since before I could even remember. The older we got, the more he hated it.

And he especially hated it when I called him that around Kayleigh.

It was funny, but for as long as Kayleigh and I have been BFF's (which has been pretty much forever), Noah's had a crush on her. Kayleigh's well aware of it, but she hasn't let his blonde hair or blue eyes wear her down. According to her, Noah is so not her type.

Of course, I knew her type. And I didn't really like it.

Kayleigh liked older guys. Not old as in dad old, but still older. Of course, I was pretty sure Uncle Brian and Aunt LeighLeigh didn't realize this. Kayleigh kept that a pretty well kept secret.

Little conversations started up around the table. When we had polished through the pizza, dad looked over at me. He smiled proudly.

"I'd like to make a toast," he said. He lifted his water glass. We all followed suit.

"To my baby Brooke," he said. I beamed. He was the only one that could get away with calling me a baby. "Here's to many more years of good music, good tours, and hard work. Your mother and I couldn't be more proud of you. We love you, BooBoo."

A chorus of 'I Love You's' rang out around the table. My glass hit dad's in particular. He gave me a wink. Mom looked like she was going to cry.

"Thank you guys," I said. "You all mean the world to me. I wouldn't be anywhere without you guys."

"Well, I can tell you where you'll be tomorrow night at this time," dad said. I felt excitement course through me. I knew where I would be too.

"My party!" I said excitedly.

"Sweet sixteen," mom said with a little smile.

I sat back down in my chair. I had been waiting for my sixteenth birthday forever.

It was going to be unforgettable.
Chapter 3 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Three

"So who's all coming tonight?"

I was stretched out along my bed watching Kayleigh shake out her curls in the mirror. She puckered her lips and smiled at her reflection.

"Well, everyone from my band, some kids from my old high school, Uncle AJ, Uncle Howie, Uncle Kevin, your mom and dad..."

Kayleigh whirled around. "My mom and dad?"

I looked at her in surprise. "Yeah?"

Kayleigh groaned. As dramatically as possible, she flung herself down into my big overstuffed chair and closed her eyes.

"The night is ruined," she declared. She smacked the arms of the chair and her head fell back.

"Why wouldn't they come?"

Kayleigh opened her eyes.

"I figured they'd be helping Baylee with the wedding."

Kayleigh's older brother Baylee was getting married. I couldn't remember the exact date, but Kayleigh claimed that was all ANYONE was talking about at home. It was driving her nuts.

"Aren't Claudia and Baylee supposed to be planning the wedding?"

"Well, you know mom."

I nodded, but I didn't say anything. I knew Leighanne loved detail. And color. And matching. And weddings.

But I still thought she was awesome.

"To make matters worse, mom's planning Claudia's bachelorette party. The maid of honor's not even coming. And there's going to be no strippers. What kind of party is that?"

I laughed. "Kay, Claudia and Bay are Christian performing artists. I don't think having strippers at their parties would be proper."

"Proper, sch-moper," Kay said. "You know if they hadn't made their 'purity' pledge they wouldn't be getting married so soon. They probably just can't wait to sleep together."

"I'm sure love has something to do with it," I said.

Kay bounced back up. She drifted back to the mirror and began to look at my earring racks.

"What we need to do is get you a boyfriend," she said. She held a pair of dangling earrings up to her lobes.

"I'm kind of busy right now," I explained. She looked at me.

"Brooke you're gorgeous. You know how many guys would die to go out with you?"

"They want to go out with the girl they read about in the magazines. I'm not that girl."

Kayleigh laughed. "I know. The magazine Brooke sounds way too much like Kayleigh Littrell."

I laughed. When she was right, she was right.

----------------------------------

"Only my sister would have hair and makeup people to help get her ready for her birthday party," Noah said.

"You're just jealous. You could use a facial," I said. He wrinkled his nose.

"Want to give me a bikini wax, No?" Kayleigh called out from her chair to the left of me. I was sharing 'my people' as she called them to help her look 'worthy' of being my best friend. Those are her exact words, not mine. She leaned back in the chair to stare at my brother. I couldn't help but look over to see his reaction.

If Noah had been a cartoon character, his mouth would have dropped to the floor and his eyes would have bounced out of their sockets. Kayleigh laughed.

"Just joking!" she said. She bounced forward again, barely missing the mascara wand the makeup girl was holding.

I saw a look of disappoint flash across his face. I don't think he was disappointed about the wax. He was just disappointed that she didn't take him seriously.

I felt bad.

"Mom said we have to leave in twenty minutes. No excuses," Noah said when he finally found his voice again.

"I promise. Twenty minutes," I said. He disappeared.

---------------------

"You're going to be late to your own party," mom sighed as Kayleigh and I bounced down the stairs forty minutes later.

"You girls look beautiful," dad said. I smiled.

With the knowledge that her mom and dad were going to be at the party, Kayleigh's dress suddenly sprouted another two inches at the hem and a black silk tank appeared behind the plunging neckline of the silver dress.

Mom and I had gone shopping during one of my tour breaks and I had picked out what I called a 'swirly' dress. It was red and the hem floated out in swirls; I paired it with long red and silver necklaces and heels that I knew I would kick off the moment I had the chance.

"Let's rock!" Landon squealed. I had to laugh. He had obviously gotten into dad's hair gel again. His hair was sticking up in crazy spikes. He had a silver chain around his neck.

"Where'd you get the necklace?"

"Dad," Landon said. He smiled up at Nick and held out his hand. There was a high-five exchange.

Noah was leaning against the front door. I know it sounds weird, but he really didn't have to do anything special to look ready for an occasion. Dad always said that he had a face that screamed party. That 'face' had been passed down. His blonde hair fell lazily in that 'just rolled out of bed' look that girls went nuts for.

The only one that didn't look so enthusiastic about the party was Peyton. Mom had stuck her in a dress. Peyton was naturally pretty, but she looked even more so when she actually looked girly. But she was oblivious. I knew this would seriously dampen any plans of climbing anything or maneuvering around in small spaces to pull off a prank.

Mom was always thinking ahead.

"The limo guy looks impatient," Noah said. Dad smiled.

"Well, let's not keep him waiting."

I looked at Kayleigh. She squeezed my arm.

"Best night ever," she whispered into my ear. I laughed.

We headed down the front steps and slid into the limo. Once it took off, dad leaned forward.

"Party rules."

Noah, Kay, and I groaned.

"Rule number one. No leaving the building."

Kay rolled her eyes, but I didn't. Safety was a big thing for me. I nodded.

"Rule number two. If you see anyone spiking any beverage of any kind, you tell one of us," mom said. "Unless you have money to bail your mom and dad out of jail."

"Brooke does," Noah said with a smile. Mom gave him a look usually reserved for when dad said something smart-alecky or just stupid.

"Rule number three. Take lots of pictures," dad said.

"Of me!" Landon piped up. He stuck his fingers in his mouth and pulled as far as he could. His mouth was a mis-match of little teeth and empty spaces. Mom laughed.

"And last but not least, rule number four. Have fun," mom said.

I sat back on the leather seat and smiled.

"Starting now," dad said. He opened the sunroof on the limo. Kay and Peyton shot up and stood on their seat. I followed suit. Pey threw her hands in the air.

"This is what I'm talking 'bout!" she shouted. I laughed.

It was good to be a Carter.
Chapter 4 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Four

By the time the limo pulled up to the club, I was about ready to bounce right out of my skin. Two small red spotlights illuminated a red carpet.

"I thought we'd make a grand entrance," dad said with a smile.

The carpet was partitioned off by thick ropes on either side. Behind those ropes were my least favorite people of all...

Paparazzi.

"Whatever you do, get out of the car slowly," I warned Kay. She was staring out at the crowd excitedly.

"Why?"

"Panty shot."

I think Kay probably would have done a panty shot on purpose had it not been for the fact that Aunty Leigh and Uncle Brian had just gotten out of a car behind us. Instead, she opened the door and very slowly got out. I did the same.

"BROOKE!"

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

"DID YOU BRING A DATE?"

The flash of the lights blinded me. My dad had mom on his left arm but held out the crook of his right for me.

"Ladies," he said with a smile.

I remembered to smile and even though my hair blew in my face, I didn't puff it away. Too many bad pictures landed in magazines when you tried to just act normal.

When we reached the door, the flashes disappeared and it took a second or two for the little spots to disappear from behind my eyes. A guy opened the door and we all walked in. I gasped.

Dad hadn't spared any expense. The club itself consisted of three open air levels. Huge stars dripped down from the ceiling which seemed like it was miles above my head. A DJ was keeping the music going on a large platform.

The bar was serving alcohol for adults and soda for all of us minors. A makeshift video arcade had been constructed in a far corner.

Dad had actually decided to put barcodes on my invitations when they were sent out. No one got in the building without having their encoded invitation.

That meant no paparazzi or other unwanted visitors were allowed in.

This was just my day to have fun.

"Alright, remember! Don't leave the building, take pictures, have fun," dad shouted over the music. I nodded.

"Happy Birthday Brooke!"

I turned. Aunty Leigh smiled down at me. Uncle Bri hugged me.

"Thanks!"

Kayleigh was hovering by their side. She reached out and grabbed my arm.

"Brooke and I are going to mingle!" she shouted. She dragged me off before I could say anything else.

"Your dad rocks!" Kayleigh shouted. She was looking around in appreciation. "Look at this place!"

I grinned. Everything looked awesome.

As we wove through the crowd, I stopped to talk to the guys in my band, my grandma and grandpa, and a few old high school friends. I had studied under a tutor while I had been on tour. I missed school. Noah kept me informed of everything going on, but it was a lot more fun experiencing it yourself.

I was in the middle of talking to a couple girls from the cheerleading squad when Kay tugged on my arm and let out a whistle. I excused myself from the conversation and turned.

"What?"

"Man, who hit him with a hot stick?"

I squinted through the crowd. "Who?"

Kay pointed. "Right there. Are you blind?"

Not far away, mom and dad were talking to Uncle Howie and Aunt Leigh. Their daughter Stephie was talking to Peyton. A good-looking dark haired man was hovering around the group as well. I blinked.

"James?"

"Yeah. Wow, totally caliente."

"He's like eighteen Kay."

"I know."

I sighed, shook my head, and tugged her arm.

"C'mon. Let's get something to drink."

She stumbled behind me, honing in on James as I tugged her towards the bar.

"What can I get the birthday girl?" the bartender asked. I smiled.

"Diet Coke."

"I'll take a scotch on the rocks."

The bartender looked at Kay and laughed.

"Two Diet Cokes coming right up."

We were still waiting for our drinks, when I felt a strong arm wrap around my waist and squeeze. I wrapped my hands around the bar and grunted.

"Happy Birthday!"

I turned. Jonah McLean let go of my waist and grinned. The older he got, the more he looked like his dad. Today, his hair was platnium blonde and he was wearing a shirt with the sleeves ripped off and jeans with so many holes that they should have been thrown away ages ago. He reached up and touched the stud in his chin as if showing off. I had a feeling it was fake. I didn't think they did those type of piercings on kids younger than sixteen.

"How's it going?"

I smiled. "Good. How are you?"

"Can't complain. You're going to have to come here my band sometime."

Kay and I took our drinks from the bartender.

"Your band?"

He grinned. "J.A.M. and the Barracudas."

Kay was mid-sip of her drink; she snorted into her cup. I just smiled.

"E-mail me whenever you play and I'll come check it out."

Joe smiled. "Will do."

I took a step back away from the bar to let someone else in. "Well, it was good to see you. Thanks for coming tonight."

He waved and Kay and I stepped away from the bar. Kay burst into loud laughter when we were out of earshot.

"J.A.M. and the Barracudas? Oh dear God," she said. She jabbed me in the stomach. "I so can't believe you made out with him."

My eyes widened. "I didn't! We just had ONE kiss."

It wasn't a kiss to go down in the history books. My dad and Uncle AJ had decided that it would be fun for Joe and I to go see a movie together about a year and a half ago. I was engrossed in the movie when Joe tugged on my arm and asked me a question. When I turned to ask him to repeat what he said, he kissed me.

That was the last time I went to the movies with Jonah McLean. I had come out of the theater feeling like a plate that had been licked clean.

"Well, maybe he's improved since then," Kay said. I laughed.

"I'm not willing to try again."

"BRENNA ANN GET BACK HERE!"

My eyes widened in surprise. I saw a flash of red whirl past me wearing what looked like glowstick necklaces. Uncle Kevin was right on its heels. With one quick swoop, the culprit was picked up in the air and tipped upside down.

The little girl burst into peels of laughter.

"There's too many people here to run like a wild child," Kevin chided. He bounced her into an upright position and kissed her cheek. Her arms went around his neck.

"But papa, it's fun! I'm glowing!"

Kevin smiled. "I know," he said lovingly. "But, let's go play in the arcade, okay?" He set her down and she clung to his hand, staring up at him adoringly. They disappeared back into the crowd.

I had become so distracted by the scene that by the time I turned to say something to Kayleigh, she had disappeared. I searched the crowd but I couldn't see her.

"Happy Birthday Brooke!"

Joe's better half, his sister Ally, squeezed between two people. She gave me a big hug.

"You look so pretty!"

I blushed. "Thank you. So do you."

And she did. Ally was wearing a green dress with a criss-cross back. Her dark hair was streaked with the same color of green.

"This is an awesome party," she added.

"I know. I can't believe mom and dad did all this," I said. I looked around again. It was pretty great.

"Hey sis, Garrett's looking for you," Noah said in my ear. I jumped. He had snuck up on me.

Garrett was one of the star players on our basketball team. I had been friends with his sister and so subsequently we had become friends. I smiled.

"He's here?"

"Yup. He's over by the arcade."

Noah turned to Ally.

"Hey Al, you look really pretty."

Ally turned crimson. Noah ran a hand through his hair. It fell right back into place.

"Want to dance?"

Ally beamed. "Sure."

They headed out to the dance floor and I made my way to the arcade. I saw Kevin and AJ with Brenna. She was on one of those giant dance dance mats, her hair flying up and down with each bounce.

I looked to my left and there was Garrett. He was tall...a little taller than dad. He had long wavy light brown hair and blue eyes.

And a great smile.

"Happy Birthday, Brooke," he said. I walked up and he hugged me. It was a nice hug.

"Long time no see. You look gorgeous."

I felt my heart leap. I had always had a crush on him.

"Thank you. I'm glad you could come."

He set down his drink and nodded. His eyes flickered past my shoulder and then back to my face.

"I wanted to ask you something."

He wanted to ask ME something? Ack!

"Sure, ask away," I said lightly.

He nodded out to the dance floor. "Want to dance?"

I didn't have to think too long about that. He offered his hand and I took it.

"Lead the way."
Chapter 5 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Five

"You know, it sucks not seeing you at school."

I was slow dancing with Garrett and I felt like pinching myself. I smiled up at him.

"I miss school."

"Seriously? I would kill to travel all over."

I laughed. "It's not as glamorous as you think."

We both smiled and I felt his hands press against my back. Noah and Ally were dancing nearby. Noah picked up a piece of her green hair and she laughed.

"Are you going to come back to school?"

I focused back on Garrett. His breath smelled like spearmint Tic Tacs.

"I plan on it. When I start recording again I'm going to do it after school."

"Awesome." He paused. "Maybe we can grab a pizza or something soon."

A pizza. Or something! Soon!

"I'd like that."

The song ended all too soon.

"Thanks for the dance," Garrett said. I smiled.

"Thank you."

"Brooke?"

I turned. Uncle Brian was right beside me. He was looking around, frowning slightly.

"Where's Kay?"

"I don't know."

"If you see her, point her in her mom's direction," Brian said. He pointed towards one of the tables set up on the second floor. Leighanne was sitting there with a drink talking to Liv.

"Sure thing."

He disappeared and I wove my way through the bodies. I didn't get very far before I was stopped for a hug or a quick chat. My drink disappeared and I decided that, before the cake was rolled out, I should go refresh my makeup.

Of course, the lines for the bathrooms were ridiculously long. I skipped the first floor bathrooms all together. The second tier bathrooms were just as bad. I went up to the third tier. The woman's restaurant had a big 'Out of Order' sign on the door. Considering I just needed a mirror, I decided to go in anyhow.

I pushed the door open and stifled a gasp.

Kay was propped up on the bathroom sink, her skirt hiked up, her heels on the floor. Most of her weight was being supported by the guy that her legs were wrapped around. A familiar guy...

James.

His head was currently buried in her chest and her hands were in his hair and...

I quickly went back out into the hall. I leaned against the wall, my face flushed. I couldn't tell whether they were just making out or...

I had two options. I could just walk away like I never saw anything and raise the odds of her getting caught by someone else. That someone else would either rat her out or, if it was her dad, probably put her in an all-girls boarding school.

Or, I could be a wonderful best friend and warn her that her dad was looking for her.

I took a deep breath. I had to go with option two. I opened the door a crack.

"Kay!" I said in a loud whisper. There was a moan and then a fumbling. "Your dad's looking for you!"

"Damnit. Okay, thanks. I'll be out...in a minute."

I was a good friend, but I also didn't want to take one for the team. I decided my job was done. I headed back to the second tier and waited my turn in the bathroom line.

By the time I finished with my makeup and made it back down to the lower tier, dad was ready to bring out the cake. He hopped up on the DJ stand and grabbed a mic.

"Miss Brooklyn, where are you?"

I waved my arm and people parted as I made my way up to the dias. I held out my hand for the mic and dad passed it to me.

"How's it going everyone?" I shouted. Everyone clapped. "I want to thank you guys for coming out to help me celebrate my sixteenth birthday. I love you all and I hope you're having a blast!"

A loud cheer greeted my comment. I laughed. "I also want to thank mom and dad for the party. I love you guys with all my heart."

I glanced back at dad. He smiled. Mom blew me a kiss. I handed the mic back up.

"And now, it's time for cake!" dad announced.

A huge cake was wheeled out. It was amazing. Mom loved those bakeries that did really unique cakes and she had gone all out for mine. A big '16' in pink and white was right on top. Each individual layer had little sculptures of all of my favorite things: a microphone, jewelry, lipstick, Monopoly, a picture frame, etc. The cake was wheeled right up to me and I spent a couple seconds walking around admiring it. I couldn't stop smiling. Sixteen lighted candles were scattered throughout.

"Happy Birthday to you..."

Dad started the chorus and everyone chimed in. When they were done, I ran around the cake blowing out each candle. Everyone clapped.

"You like it?" mom asked. She squeezed my arm.

"This is awesome. It's got all my favorite things," I said. I pointed at the little dogs snuggled up in minature sugary dog beds.

"There's a surprise on that cake for you," dad said. "Can you find it?" I looked at him and then looked back at the cake. I walked around it again.

On my third time around, I saw it. It looked like one of those little kids wind up cars with a key stuck in the top. Except this key was real. I pulled it out.

A car key!

My eyes widened. Mom and dad were grinning. I had gotten my driver's license a couple months ago, but dad said I'd have to drive the 'mom-mobile' because it was 'good practice.'

"Are you serious?!" I squealed. Dad laughed and pointed.

The front windows of the club had been curtained to keep photographers from taking pictures of the event going on inside. A couple workers yanked those curtains aside.

Right outside was a brand new sleek black car. I couldn't help it; I jumped up and down.

"You're serious! You're serious!"

After that, it took me quite awhile to calm down. Noah started complaining that he better have a key on his cake next year. Landon wanted to go out and sit behind the wheel. Peyton wanted to know how fast it could go and when the cake was going to be cut.

When things finally settled down and the curtain was back in place, dad grabbed the mic one more time.

"And now, I'd like to have a special dance with my birthday girl. Brooke?"

I nodded and held out my hand.

As if on cue, My Girl started to play. Dad wrapped his arms around my waist and we started dancing.

I've got sunshine on a cloudy day...

"Thanks dad," I said. I glanced up at him. I was pretty sure my dad was the most handsome guy in the world. He never seemed to age. He laughed.

"Was it memorable?"

"Absolutely. I couldn't ask for more."

I've got a sweeter song than the birds in the trees...

"I saw you dancing with a tall guy earlier," dad whispered. I blushed.

"That was Garrett. From school."

"Nice guy?"

"Totally nice."

I squeezed my arms around dad's neck playfully. He smiled and kissed my forehead. When he looked at me again, I saw that his eyes were misty. I knew what that meant...

I don't need no money, fortune or fame. I got all the riches baby, one man can claim...

"I was the proudest guy in the whole world the day you were born," dad said softly. Tears sprang to my eyes. Dad was sentimental where I was concerned and it always made me cry when he said stuff like that.

"Dad..."

"Don't forget about me when I'm all old and gray."

I laughed. "You'll never be old and gray."

My girl...

The song ended and everyone applauded. I hugged dad tightly. He smiled and kissed my hand.

"Happy Birthday, baby girl."
Chapter 6 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Six

"There you are. What are you doing?"

My brand new car was parked in the garage. I was in my PJ's behind the wheel just absorbing the amazingness of having my own transportation. Dad was standing in the doorway looking at me like I had lost my mind.

"I'm admiring my birthday present," I said. I ran my hand over the wheel. Dad laughed.

"Well, I hate to break you two up, but we're leaving for breakfast in about twenty minutes so..."

"Seriously? It takes me longer than twenty minutes to decide what shoes I'm going to wear."

Dad smiled. "It's only breakfast."

That was easy for him to say. I was under the scrutiny of zoom lenses whenever we went anywhere. I hopped out of the car and ran upstairs.

"You're not ready?" Noah asked. He was wearing his Celtics jersey and ratty jeans.

"Ugh, not now No," I said. I ran into my room.

I flipped through my clothes and picked out a vintage t-shirt and some low-slung black pants. I rooted through my jewelry. I pulled my hair back in a ponytail.

"BROOKE!"

Crap.

"HOLD ON!"

I applied a thin layer of lip gloss.

"We're leaving without you!"

I put the gloss down and grabbed my purse. I ran barefoot down the stairs.

"Where's your shoes?"

I glanced at what we called Mt. Ve-shoe-vius. All of us had a bad habit of just tossing our shoes in a pile. I dove in. I found one black flat.

"Peyton help!"

She started looking. Landon dove right into the middle of the pile. Seconds later, his arm shot up from the stack, waving the match.

"Thank you!"

I slid on my shoes, tugged at my ponytail, and smiled.

"Ta-da!"

Mom looked amused.

"Alright, let's roll."

---------------------------------

"French toast and powdered sugar. It's the way to go."

Dad had reserved a private room at IHOP. There were twenty four of us gathered around the table, including my Aunt Angel and her son Logan. I had only got a glimpse of them at my party the night before.

I adored Aunt Angel. She was an ex-model and did hair and makeup now behind the scenes. Her son Logan was a model for Abercrombie and Fitch. He was drop-dead gorgeous. Our waitress wasn't any older than nineteen and with Logan and Noah sitting side by side, she was practically pulling her neck muscle every time she walked by.

"I'm glad you guys stuck around for breakfast," dad said. Brian, Kevin, Howie, and AJ glanced around at each other and smiled.

I was sitting next to Kay. She was avoiding any eye contact at all with James. I nudged her foot. We shared a look.

"We're going to the restroom," I said.

"Okay, what do you guys want to drink?"

"Orange juice," I said.

"Coffee. Two creams, one sugar," Kay said. Leighanne looked at her. Kay stifled a sigh.

"Orange juice," she said sullenly.

We headed to the bathroom. I didn't have to go, but I was dying to know what happened last night.

"What's going on with you and James?"

Kay propped her purse on the sink and rifled through it. She pulled out a tube of mascara and unscrewed the cap.

"Nothing."

"It didn't look like nothing."

Kay widened her eyes and ran the wand over her lashes. She smiled.

"We were just fooling around. No big deal. It's in the past."

"That's it?"

Kay paused before she did the second eye and turned to me. "Of course that's it. We didn't really 'spark' y'know?"

It looked like they were doing plenty of sparking.

I licked my lips. It was a nervous habit. I felt my lip gloss disappear. I reached in my bag and pulled out my tube.

"How far did you go?"

Kay finished up with the mascara and put it back in her bag. She leaned against the sink. I couldn't help but remember her actually sitting on the sink last night. I began to roll a new layer on.

"Not all the way. He was a little small for me."

My gloss tube dropped into the sink. I coughed.

"Excuse me?"

Kay laughed. "He didn't pass the size test. I figured it wouldn't be worth it to go all the way."

I so didn't want to know her standards for the 'size' test. She may have been my best friend, but some things were better not shared.

"I'm hungry. Are you hungry? Let's go order."

I walked past her and she tugged on my ponytail.

"Oh Brooke, you need to just lose it already so we can go guy hunting together."

I didn't answer. I was in no hurry to lose 'it.' Dad always said good things were worth the wait.

Of course then he looked at mom with puppy eyes and it got a little gross for me, but still...

I liked to think I was a good thing.

And I was going to wait until I found someone good enough.

-------------------------------------

"She was crying so hard I almost couldn't understand her," AJ was saying as Kay and I sat back down.

"Who was crying?" I asked.

"Shelby," Kevin answered. Brenna was sitting between him and AJ. She had a huge bib tied around her neck and was trying to balance a spoon on her nose. Her eyes was crossed trying to focus on it.

I finally realized who was missing.

"Where is she? And Mason? And Dan?"

"Well, Dan's in Canada at the Stratford Festival in Canada for drama club. Mason and Shelby made the move to Kentucky this week. They've been busy getting unpacked. Addy and I brought Brenna with us. And," Kevin paused. Ally was bouncing in her chair. She didn't wait for Kevin to continue.

"And Mason took her up in a hot air balloon and when they floated over the lake he had spelled out 'Will You Marry Me?' in roses all around it and he PROPOSED!"

I was pretty sure that was the most romantic thing I had ever heard.

"Really?"

Ally nodded. "And I'm going to be maid of honor!"

"There's no fishies in the lake!" Brenna squealed. The spoon landed on the table with a clatter.

"Another Backstreet wedding!" Brian said with a smile. "And speaking of weddings, keep July 24th open. That's Baylee and Claudia's wedding day."

Mom asked how things were going and Brian and Leighanne launched into a long description of all of the wedding plans that they were involved in for Baylee's wedding. Kayleigh scooted down in her seat.

After the wedding talk, Howie bragged about James' going to USC in the fall. And after that...

"Brooke's going to be recording her next album in a couple weeks," dad said proudly. I smiled.

"Maybe we should record some new music and be her opening act," AJ said. Kevin laughed.

"No, I'd be your opening act," I said. I could never imagine the Backstreet Boys opening for anyone.

"You do realize it'll be thirty five years right?" Howie asked. "1993..."

The dads looked at each other.

"I'm not really doing anything," Howie added.

"No one would want to see us," Kevin complained.

"Our old fans aren't dead," AJ said.

"After the wedding, my schedule's open," Brian said.

Dad looked at me.

"You'd seriously want to open up for five old guys?"

I smiled. "You're not old. The Rolling Stones toured into their seventies. Paul McCartney toured until the day he died," I pointed out. "Plus, the young people will come see me and their moms will all come see you! Or their grandmas!"

The dads groaned.

"You guys should go for it," Angel said. "You're not that wrinkly yet, bro."

"I'm sure you guys have a couple more love songs left in you," mom said. Dad kissed her. Noah rolled his eyes, then he looked over at Kay. He took a sip of his OJ as he peered over the rim. Kay caught his gaze and ran her tongue along the sausage link that was speared onto her fork. The orange liquid came spurting out of his nose.

"DO IT AGAIN!" Brenna shouted.

I didn't know why, but I had a feeling I had started something. Not with Kay...she was a whole different pile of 'something.' But there was a look in all of the dads' eyes. I just wasn't sure exactly what it meant.
Chapter 7 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Seven

"Do you get to keep all of the clothes you wear at photoshoots?"

"Do you sing live or just mouth over a track?"

It was my first day back at school and my hope for 'normal' was fading fast. Instead of the usual topics of music, movies, and boys, I had become the topic of conversation.

"I don't get to keep everything. And yes, I sing live."

"Hey Brooke."

"Hey!"

Garrett was leaning up against his locker. He straightened up as I walked closer. He fell into step beside me and we stopped when I came to my locker.

"How's that new car?"

I smiled. "It's awesome."

"Did you drive it to school?"

The school secretary had left all my books in my locker. I took out my Algebra textbook and closed the locker door.

"As a matter of fact, I did."

Garrett stretched out his long arm and braced it above my head.

"Maybe I can check it out with you after school. We could go to Starbucks or something. It's just down the road."

I thought if I smiled even more that I might pull a facial muscle. I could just imagine Noah teasing me as I drooled out of the left side of my mouth.

"I'd like that," I said.

The first bell rang. I glanced at my watch.

"I better go. Don't want to be late on my first day back."

Garrett laughed. "Alright, see ya later."

I waved and took off down the hall.

I just wanted to get back to being a normal teenage girl. A date after school at Starbucks sounded like just the way to get back into life as a typical high school Junior.

------------------------------------

"I just wanted to let you know I'm not coming straight home. Garrett and I are going to Starbucks."

"Garrett? As in birthday party, slow dance Garrett?"

I smiled at dad's description.

"Yeah."

There was a pause.

"Is it the Starbucks right by school?"

"Yup!"

"Alright. But call me if you need anything."

I smiled. "I will. Love you daddy."

"Love you too BooBoo."

I hung up and headed out into the parking lot. It was a beautiful Spring day. Garrett was circling my car looking like a hawk who had found prey.

"Leather seats?" he asked as I walked up.

"Heated leather seats."

He grinned. "Because Florida is so cold."

I laughed. "Maybe I'll drive to Alaska for the fun of it."

I pointed the remote at the car and deactivated the security and released the door lock. Garrett got in the passenger side. I slid behind the wheel.

"Did Gerber give you guys a pop quiz today too?" Garrett asked. He studied my dash. Did had spared no expense. I had a top of the line built-in GPS and an ear-shattering sound system.

"Yeah, it wasn't bad though. I'm a little bit ahead of the curriculum thanks to the tutor I had on the road."

"So you still had school when you were on tour?"

I smiled. "Yup. That was one of dad's rules."

Garrett leaned back. The leather made a pleasant 'woosh' as he did.

"So are you really dating Trevor Tylers?"

Trevor Tylers was one/fifth of the boyband Grenadine, the 'blonde' one, or as dad called him - 'a cheap attempt at finding a Nick Carter clone for a new set of crazy teen girls.' I had been thrown into a photo shoot with him a month ago because we were voted 'Hottest Newcomers in Music' and the magazines had built it up into a relationship. The National Enquirer had gone so far to announce that we had secretly eloped in the Bermuda Triangle.

As if.

"What? Ugh, no. I don't think we said more than three words to each other the whole day. He's stuck up."

"Good."

I glanced at Garrett as I pulled into the last empty space at Starbucks. Good? What did that mean? Was he glad I wasn't dating? Was that what was 'good'? Was he thinking about dating me?

I stuck my nail in the corner of my mouth, but pulled it out before I took a bite. We both got out of the car and I set the alarm.

A guy was coming out at the same time we were going in and Garrett held open the door. I walked in and the strong smell of coffee and other spices filled my nostrils.

I wasn't a coffee drinker. For a long time I hadn't been able to find anything at Starbucks I really liked. But, I had found the perfect drink during my tour stop in Chicago.

"What do you want?" Garrett asked. He pulled out his wallet.

Oh, he was paying for me. As mom would say, that scored 'brownie points.'

"A Venti Strawberries and Creme," I said.

My personal trainer had informed me that I was basically inhaling three cans of whipped cream and ten scoops of sugar every time I drank one, but since my personal trainer wasn't around, I figured I deserved it.

After all, it was my first day back to school.

Garrett ordered our drinks. The place was crowded with classmates who had the same idea. A couple girls waved at me; I waved back.

"Here you go."

I took my cold pink and white treat and we sat at a little two-person table in the corner of the store. The only other person nearby was a businessman typing loudly on his laptop.

"So, I've been wanting to know something," Garrett said. He had ordered a carmel coffee something-or-other. I could see the warm curls of steam coming through the vents in the lid.

"What did you want to know?" I asked. I took a big sip from my cup. I pretty much got an instant sugar high the moment the milkshake-consistancy drink hit my tongue.

"I wanted to know if a girl like you might be interested in a guy like me."

I was glad my drink had been blended to perfect consistancy. I swallowed hard. The coldness numbed my throat. I took a moment to make sure I wasn't headed for a brain freeze before answering.

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"Well, you're kind of...famous."

A familiar worry started in the pit of my stomach.

"Did you want to go out with me before I was 'famous'?"

"Yeah, but you kind of just left before I could muster up the courage."

He looked sincere. And I had known him before all this happened. He had always been nice when Carly (his sister) and I hung out. Maybe he had just been working towards it...

I smiled.

"I would definitely be interested."

Garrett grinned.

As we finished our drinks we talked about stupid stuff mostly; the kind of stuff that wasn't earth-shattering, but that was important to a teen. When we were done we walked slowly back out to the car.

"BROOKE!"

A flash went off and I shielded my face with my arm. Garrett was standing behind me looking surprised.

"What was that?"

"My fan club," I said wryly. I unarmed the door and we got back in. As my vision returned, I saw the photographer crouching down for a shot through the windshield. I tried to ignore it as I backed up.

"Do they follow you everywhere?"

"They have lately," I said. "I'm sorry."

Garrett smiled. "Naw, it's cool. I'm just glad I brushed my hair today."

I laughed. He was cute and funny.

I dropped him off at his house.

"When's Carly coming back from Italy?"

"A couple weeks. She keeps telling mom and dad that being a foreign-exchange student is the best thing that ever happened to her."

I laughed. Carly was a Senior this year. Garrett was just a lowly Junior like me.

"Well, tell her I said hi next time you talk to her."

"I will."

Garrett got out, paused, and then leaned back into the car.

"Hey, want to go see a movie Saturday?"

I licked my lips. A date. I'd have to clear it by mom and dad but...

"Sure. I'd like that."

"Awesome. See you tomorrow."

He closed the door and I waved. I waited until he reached his front door before pulling away. I cranked up the radio, turned towards home, and squealed.

A date!
Chapter 8 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Eight

"So how was your first day back?" dad asked.

We were sitting around the table having supper. I cut a piece of lasagna and watched as the cheese stretched out to an incredible length before bouncing up to join my bite.

"It was good," I said. "A little different. People kept asking me questions about the tour, and photoshoots, and stuff."

"And guys kept running into lockers," Noah added. I glanced at him.

"What? You didn't notice?"

I blushed. "No."

"Speaking of guys," mom said. "How was Starbucks?"

I smiled. "Great. Which reminds me...Garrett asked me to go see a movie Saturday. Can I go?"

Dad forked his salad a little harder than normal.

"What movie?"

"I don't know."

"What time?"

"I don't know."

Noah grinned. I shot him a look.

"Where?"

Ugh, I was going for the three peat.

"I don't know."

"Then, no."

"Nick..." mom said. They had one of their infamous silent conversations. It was a little creepy sometimes. Finally mom looked at me.

"Tell you what. When you can answer those questions, we'll talk."

I smiled. I had gotten one instant no, but I had a feeling once I could provide more information I'd have one yes.

I hoped.

-------------------------

"What kind of movie do you want to see?"

Garrett was sitting across from me at my lunch table. Noah was parked a little farther down. I had a feeling he was hanging on to every word. That way, if I stretched the truth a little, he would know. And then dad would know.

Ugh.

"We could go see the new Green Lantern movie?"

"The original was better," Noah interjected.

"He's right," Garrett said. "What about that one about where the girl goes lives with her dad in Paris?"

Noah snorted. The girls sitting across from him giggled.

"That's a chick flick."

"I know."

Garrett and Noah looked at each. There was some silent 'male' exchange that occured.

Finally Noah smiled.

"You know, I've been wanting to see that one."

Garrett frowned. I did too. I had a bad feeling about this...

Noah looked over at Emma who was one of the girls that had giggled moments ago.

"How would you like to go see that Saturday?"

Emma smiled. The Carter phermones were at work agai.

"I'd love to. What time?"

Noah looked over at Garrett and me.

"What time?"

"You're not coming with us."

"Last I checked, your car seats four."

I stabbed at the pudding on my plastic lunch tray. Chocolate goo ran over the sides.

"It prefers only two people."

"But I'm sure mom and dad would think it was a great idea."

I clenched my teeth. Noah wasn't usually so ornery.

I had a feeling dad put him up to this.

I looked back at Garrett and sighed.

"What time?"

"Well I was thinking the seven o'clock show and maybe we could get pizza before hand..."

"You like pizza Emma?"

"I prefer Chinese."

"She prefers Chinese."

"Chinese works," Garrett said quickly.

I was fighting a losing battle.

"Okay how about you meet at my house at five and then we'll go?"

"That works."

Garrett stood up and went to toss his lunch tray. I leaned diagonally across the table.

"You are so going to pay."

Noah smiled. "C'mon. It's just a double date. It won't kill you. And if he tries anything..."

I rolled my eyes. There was a deep seated trait that ran through the male Carter line to inheritantly protect the women in the 'tribe.' Usually I didn't mind, but this time was different.

This was the kind of date I'd been waiting for a long time.

--------------------------------

"What movie?"

"To Paris and Back."

"What time?"

"Seven o'clock."

"Where?"

"Movies 16 on Ballard Street."

"Are you going anywhere else?"

"China Garden at five for dinner."

"And you'll be back by?"

"Eleven?"

"Ten."

It was taco night. Noah winked at me as he dunked a chip into his salsa. I stuck out my tongue.

Dad smiled over at Noah.

"And who are you going with?"

"Emma."

"Emma who?"

"Emma Schmidt. She goes by Schmiddy."

"Cute?"

"Passable."

Mom and I both just shook our heads.

"Look what I can do!"

Everyone glanced over at Landon. He put an empty shell on its side, held up his hand, and karate chopped it into pieces with a loud 'Hi-ya!' He jumped in his seat and laughed.

I couldn't help but smile at his excitement. He seriously was his own form of entertainment...and ours too.

"Dad, can we go out on the boat Saturday?" Peyton asked.

Dad looked at her. He usually always said yes. They were both perpetually tan all year round.

"Sure. As long as we're back by five."

I stifled any form of complaint. I knew why he wanted to be back by five.

He wanted to be here when Garrett arrived. It was the whole 'dad' vs. 'teen guy dating my daughter' thing.

This was going to be interesting.

---------------------------

"Dad got the boat up super fast today. My jacket was -- are you listening?"

I was only half listening to Pey. Her hair was completely windblown and she had a little streak of grease on her cheek. I kept checking my reflection in the mirror.

I had changed my clothes five times. I had started off with a skirt, but then thought that was too dressy. I had tried on two pairs of jeans, but they seemed too casual. I had grabbed my black pants, but after sliding one leg in, changed my mind.

Finally, I settled on a pair of light tan flares with a bright scarf wrapped around my waist for a pseudo-belt and paired it with a short sleeve sweater that was low in the front, but not too low.

"What Pey?"

"I said Dad--"

The doorbell rang.

"Crap."

I had hoped to get downstairs and hover by the door to attempt to minimize the dad impact.

My plan had failed.

I grabbed my purse.

"You'll have to tell me later Pey," I said. I quickly headed down the stairs.

"So, do you play any sports?"

"Basketball."

"I'm a big fan of hunting myself."

I stopped at the foot of the stairs and stared at the back of dad's head. He had never hunted a day in his life.

"Oh, really?"

"Yeah, shot a bear not too long ago. Taller than you."

"GARRETT!"

Dad turned. Garrett was standing in the door looking uncomfortable. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Noah leaning against the back of the couch, his arms folded across his chest, smiling.

"Hi Brooke," he said. He sounded relieved. "You look nice."

"Doesn't she?" dad added. "She always looks nice. That's because she's a nice girl. Catch my drift, Garrett?"

Dad put a hand out on his shoulder. I think he might have squeezed a little bit because Garrett looked surprised.

"Yes, sir."

Behind Garrett's shoulder I saw Emma get out of her mom's car. Garrett had parked his older model car at the curb.

"Well, Emma's here!" I said, a little too enthusiastically. I walked up and kissed dad's cheek. He let go of Garrett's shoulder.

"Are you two leaving?"

Mom opened the sliding door leading to the backyard and looked in. Landon was playing in the sand box. He lifted a huge shovelful of sand, closed his eyes, and sent it dropping on his head like he was in the shower.

"Yeah, Emma's here," Noah said. "We'll be back by ten, mom."

Mom smiled. I know parents say that don't have favorites, but Noah's always been a 'momma's boy' and she has always been really lenient on him.

"Okay, have fun. Brooke take a jacket in case it gets cold."

"I GOTS SAND IN MY EYES!" Landon wailed. Mom closed the sliding glass door. Landon was flailing his arms.

I grabbed a jacket. Dad was still in the doorway. Emma hovered behind Garrett. I picked up my keys.

"Alright, we're off," I said. I squeezed past dad. He finally stepped back so Noah could get out.

"Be careful!" dad called. "Call me if you need anything!"

"Love you!" I called.

"Love you too!"

Dad watched us as we got in the car. He was still watching us as we pulled away.

"So that was Nick Carter, huh?" Garrett said. I smiled.

"Yup, that's our dad," I said.

"Does he really hunt?" Garrett asked. I opened my mouth, but Noah was one step ahead of me.

"Only humans," he said seriously. "Specifically males age 15-24."

I laughed. "He's kidding," I said.

"No I'm not."

I licked my lips. There went my lip gloss.

If Noah kept this up, it was going to be a long night.
Chapter 9 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Nine

"I'll have the teriyaki chicken skewers and a cup of egg drop soup," I said. I closed my menu and handed it to the waiter.

"Kung pao chicken," Noah said.

"General Tsao's with an extra side of rice," Garrett said.

Emma ordered in Chinese. She was an honor student and I had a feeling she should have already graduated a year or two ago.

"Wow, that was impressive," Noah said as the waiter walked off.

Emma just smiled.

"So what kind of music do you like Brooke? I know you're not a fan of Grenadine," Garrett said playfully.

I laughed. "I really love all kinds of music. I'm a big fan of 80's music because of my dad. My mom loves anything from the 90's and 00's. So it's just across the board."

"Don't forget Dora the Explorer," Noah said. "Brooke's a BIG fan of the soundtracks."

Noah was playing with a set of chopsticks. I suddenly wanted to shove them up his nose.

"That's when I was five," I said. I glanced over at Garrett. He grinned.

"What about you?" I asked. I turned my head so that I could try to pretend Noah wasn't even there.

Garrett leaned closer to me. He smelled really good. I had know idea what he was wearing, but it was fantastic.

"I'm a big fan of Brooke Carter's," he said softly.

My eyes widened. I leaned towards him a little. I was thinking of the best flirty line I could think of--

Snap, snap!

Noah shoved his thin wooden chopsticks right between our faces.

"Don't they remind you of an alligator?" Noah asked. Garrett sat back. So did I.

"Dead alligators make boots and shoes," I told him. My eyes narrowed. He just shrugged.

Emma started talking about the Math Bowl and that passed the time until our food came. When the waiter set down Emma's plate, Noah looked at it in horror.

"What the hell did you order?"

I was kind of wondering the same thing.

"Steamed baby octopus in taro root."

My eyes widened. "You killed a baby octopus?"

"I didn't," Emma said. "It's good. Do you want to try some."

"Uh, no. I think I'll pass," Noah said. "Garrett, why don't you try some?"

I stifled an objection. I was kind of hoping for an end-of-the-night kiss, but there was no way THAT was going to happen if he had baby octopus breath.

"No way," Garrett said. He used his fork to scoop up a huge quantity of rice and ate that instead.

I could kiss someone with rice breath.

"So Noah do you sing as well as your sister?" Garrett asked after we had all spent several minutes trying out our food. I couldn't even look at Emma.

"Naw, I don't sing," Noah said.

That was a lie and I knew it. Noah sounded exactly like my dad when he sang. In fact, when the producer who formed Grenadine was still scouting, he had approached dad asking if Noah wanted to try-out. Noah did an audition and I swear the producer's pupils turned to dollar signs.

Noah got the part, but he declined.

He didn't have the passion like I did. His passion was in writing music, not singing.

"Well, Brooke's got enough talent for everyone, huh?"

Noah smiled over at me. "Yeah, she does."

I blushed. I fanned my egg drop soup, pretending that was the cause.

Even though I loved performing, I still couldn't get used to the praise.

---------------------

"Two for 'To Paris and Back'," Garrett said. He had paid for dinner and now he was paying for the movie.

Mom always said that was a good sign.

Emma had insisted that she pay for her own meal. Noah argued with her, but she wasn't taking no for an answer. I had a feeling Noah was relieved.

Baby octopus was expensive.

"Two for 'To Paris and Back'," Noah said. Emma folded her arms but he shoved his money under the window before she could say anything.

"Do you want popcorn or something to drink?" Garrett asked.

"Maybe a Diet Cola," I said.

"Alright. Be right back."

I watched him head up to the line. He had a cute butt.

"You want anything Emma?" Noah asked.

"No, I'm good."

"I'm going to go get something to drink."

"I'll wait with Brooke." Emma said.

Noah walked off. Emma looked over at me.

"He's playing bodyguard tonight isn't he?"

I looked at her. She was nice looking, but I wouldn't say exactly pretty. She looked, well, brainy. That wasn't Noah's type.

Not that I was exactly sure of Noah's type.

"Yeah, he is," I admitted.

She smiled. "Well, at least I can tell the other girls I went on a date with him."

I laughed. "What's with girls and my brother?"

"He's gorgeous."

I glanced back at Noah. Then I looked at Garrett.

Probably if Noah wasn't my brother, I would be able to see it. At the moment, I thought Garrett was the better looking of the two.

The guys returned with drinks and we headed into the theater.

"I also got some chocolate covered raisins," Garrett said.

"Oh, those are my favorite," I said.

"Wow, lucky guess."

I smiled and took my seat. Garrett sat beside me. I had assumed Noah and Emma would sit either on my left or Garrett's right, but they took seats behind us.

Garrett popped open the box of raisins.

"Want one?"

I opened my hand and he tapped the box gently in my palm. Two fell into my hand and I popped one in my mouth.

He watched me for a second. Our eyes met.

Then the lights went out.

I really didn't care all that much about the movie. The plot was formulaic and the girl was extremely whiny.

What I did care about was sitting beside Garrett. About a half hour into the movie he yawned and stretched. His arm lowered and it was headed around my shoulders. My fingers wrapped around my drink cup.

And Noah's foot connected with Garrett's elbow.

"OW!"

"Oops, sorry. My foot was cramping up. I'm just going to rest it right here for a few minutes mm'kay?"

Garrett grumbled and slumped down in his seat. I turned around and glared. Noah gave me a finger wave.

A little bit later Garrett and I both reached for the box of raisins at the same time. Our fingers brushed. Garrett playfully wrapped his fingers around mine. He leaned forward, his mouth opened as if to say something.

"Hey can I have one?"

Noah's blonde shaggy head invaded the space. Garrett sat back and practically shoved the box in Noah's face.

Needless to say, by the end of the movie I had gotten nothing more than my fingers squeezed.

"That was fun," Noah said happily.

No one else said anything.

I drove Emma home and then Noah, Garrett, and I went back to the house. We got out. Garrett and I stopped in front of his car.

Noah hovered.

"No, can you go tell dad we're back?" I asked.

"In a minute."

"NOW!"

Noah looked at us and reluctantly shuffled inside.

I turned back to Garrett.

"I'm sorry about him," I said. "I think my dad put him up to chaperoning."

Garrett smiled. "It's cool. I'd probably do the same thing for my sister."

He reached out and brushed a piece of my hair away from my cheek. My heart pounded.

"Next time I hope it can be just the two of us," he said softly.

"Me too."

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the curtains in the front window move.

Dad.

Garrett seemed to notice the same thing. He leaned forward and kissed my cheek.

"See you at school," he said. I smiled.

"Okay."

He got in his car and I headed towards the door. I reasoned that a kiss on the cheek was better than nothing.

"Did you have fun?" mom asked.

"Yeah. But next time can I go without Noah?"

"Hey!" Noah complained. "What did I do?"

"You shoved your foot in his face!"

Dad smiled. I looked over at him with my saddest puppy eyes.

"Dad can I go out with Garrett ALONE next time?"

He tried not to look at me, but he failed. He sighed.

"I guess so."

I couldn't help it; I ran up and hugged him.

"THANK YOU!"

Mom laughed. Then she turned to Noah.

"You shoved your foot in his face?"

Noah smiled.

"It's a funny story..."
Chapter 10 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Ten

"So how about this Saturday we go play miniature golf?"

It was Tuesday. The weekend had kind of floated by. Monday had been a little bit of a blur. I was coming down from my cloud today. I smiled at Garrett and took a bite of my french fry.

"I would love to, but Saturday dad and I are meeting at the studio to go over the game plan for the new album and work out a recording schedule. I'll know more once we get that worked out. So can I take a rain check?"

Garrett smiled. "Of course."

"Hey sis, you going to finish your hot dog?"

I hadn't even started my hot dog. They were my least favorite food ever. I passed down my tray to Noah.

"Thanks!"

He finished it in two big bites. The bell rang. I stood up and grabbed my backpack.

"Have fun in Chemistry," Garrett said. I was surprised he knew my schedule. I laughed.

"Yeah, let's just hope I don't burn anything down."

"Oh well. If you do, at least you'll look cute doing it."

Before I could say anything, he grabbed his pack and walked off.

"He is so crushing on you," one of my friends, Lona, said.

"You think?"

"I know." She smiled. "Lucky."

We headed to Chemistry together. I couldn't help but grin.

I was lucky.

------------------------------

"She can't do more than four days a week," dad explained. "She needs time for homework and friends. And she can't work until the wee hours of the morning either."

We were sitting around a table with four industry execs all who had notepads and pencils and were scribbling notes left and right.

"Okay how about from four to eight on Tuesday and Thursdays, four to ten on Fridays, and eleven to nine on Saturday?"

"Eleven to seven," dad said. He glanced at me. I nodded.

"Well, it'll take us a little longer but it should be doable. Brooke's a hard working gal aren't you?"

"I try," I said. I hated these meetings. Life would be so much easier if all the music industry consisted of was recording and then touring. Everything in between seemed like a giant ball of fluff.

"Now, we've got some great submissions from tons of great songwriters. We can't wait for you to look through them."

A huge pile of papers came my way.

Like I said, I shouldn't have to do homework to sing.

"And," now everyone around the table was smiling. Everyone except me and dad. Dad actually looked suspicious. "We've managed to snag a great artist for a duet for a romantic ballad that just has to make it on the record. It's going to be a hit."

"Who?" dad and I said simultaneously.

"Trevor Tylers."

I snorted. "No way."

"I thought you said a great artist," dad said.

"You've got to understand," one of the execs piped up. "Grenadine is on fire right now. Trevor Tylers is practically untouchable. We've already gotten confirmation from his people that he'll do it."

I tried not to roll my eyes. His people and my people were the same freakin' people. We were under the same record label. They were making it sound like we had just gotten Jesus himself to record with me.

"I don't like him," I said.

"You don't have to like him. It's just a song. One day in the recording studio. Two max."

I sighed. Dad was frowning. Everyone was looking at me. I had a feeling they weren't going to take no for an answer.

"Fine," I said. "But if I don't like it, it's not going on the album. No matter what you say."

They smiled. It was a 'humor her' smile.

"Okay, well now that we've got this settled, go ahead and look through the songs and pick out some. We'll get going on Tuesday."

Dad I stood up. Handshakes were exchanged. I walked out with all of the papers in my arms.

"You didn't have to agree to do the duet," dad said. He took some of the pile of papers from me.

"It's just one song. And I was serious. If I don't like it, it's not going on my album."

Dad smiled. "That's my girl." He opened the passenger side door and I slid in.

My dad was such a gentleman.

----------------------------------------

"I could go out this Saturday after eight," I told Garrett the following Monday afternoon. We were both leaning against the area around my locker.

"Is your curfew still ten?"

I sighed. "Yeah."

"Well, we can still go minature golfing. There's a Pizza Hut right across the street. We could do that in two hours."

I smiled. "That sounds great."

"I'm looking forward to it," he added.

"Me too."

I took off down the hall with a bounce in my step. As I neared the front doors to the school, Noah popped out of a side hallway.

"You weren't going to take off in your Maserati and leave me behind were you?"

"I should. I'm still mad at you for what you pulled on the date."

Noah laughed. "Oh come on, I was just looking out for you."

"Garrett's harmless."

Noah gave a noncommittal hum. "Maybe."

We headed to the car, I unarmed it, and we got in.

"You start recording tomorrow?"

I nodded. "Yup. Right after school."

"I hope you threw out like three fourths of those songs. They sucked."

I laughed. "Well, considering you marked three fourths of the papers with a frowny face wearing devil's horns, I kind of assumed that."

"I'm just surprised at some of the stuff that actually gets through," Noah said lightly.

"When are you going to start writing some songs for me to record?" I teased.

"I'm smart enough to know I'm not good enough yet," he answered.

He was fiercely protective of his work. I hadn't seen a song in a couple years. The last one I saw I had thought was good. Really good.

"You don't give yourself enough credit."

Noah leaned forward and rummaged through his bag.

"Sometimes I think two famous people in our family is enough."

I didn't know how to answer that. I had done my pep talk for the day.

Now I had to go home and suck up to mom and dad for Saturday night. I couldn't imagine them saying no, especially after mom agreed that I didn't need 'Noah-patrol.' Plus I had tons of homework to wade through. And I had to practice my vocals.

Tomorrow was going to be a long day.
Chapter 11 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Eleven

"Alright, we've got your shortlist of songs. Shall we get started?"

It was Tuesday. It had been a long day at school. And now I was in the studio.

As always, dad was there, but he was staying out of everybody's way. He only got involved when I wasn't happy about something. Luckily, that wasn't often.

Noah had worked out the beat for most of the songs on the drums. I had never been able to sit still long enough to learn an instrument. Noah was proficient on drums, guitar, and piano.

I remembered from my experience recording the first album that the first week was always the hardest in the studio. Preliminary takes piled up and songs I loved on paper didn't translate well once finished.

By the time the clock hands hit eight, I was more than ready to go. I had tons of Chemistry homework due tomorrow.

"Alright, we've got to wrap it up," dad said. He stood and I slid off my headset.

"Great job Brooke," one of the soundboard guys said. I smiled. "Thanks."

"Brooke?"

One of the 'suits' from the meeting had been hovering in the corner.

"Yeah?"

"I wanted to let you know that we've scheduled your duet with Trevor on Saturday. Make sure you know it."

I struggled not to make a face.

"Saturday? Aleady?"

"That's the only time Trevor can do this."

I rolled my eyes. The pretty boy was 'so' busy.

"Alright."

Dad and I walked out and got in the car. I stifled a yawn.

"Tired baby girl?"

I smiled. "Naw, I'm okay. I'll just be glad when Saturday night comes."

Dad didn't answer. I had gotten permission to go out with Garrett, but dad wasn't totally happy about it.

We got home and I ran up to start my homework.

"Hey, don't forget about dinner," mom said. She had a tray in her hands.

"Dad and I ate the studio."

"He said he was starving!"

"It's dad."

We shared a smile.

"Well, if you change your mind I'm going to wrap it up."

"Thanks mom."

I went back to my homework. The next time I looked at the clock it was past ten. Landon had gone to bed an hour and a half ago. Peyton had popped in a half hour ago to say goodnight.

I yawned and leaned back against my pillows. I still had a half sheet of algebra problems. But the house was so quiet. And my bed was so soft...

-----------------------------

"Brooke, you forgot to set your alarm!"

I groaned. Mom was standing in the doorway.

"Did you fall asleep doing your homework?"

I brushed a hunk of hair away from my mouth. "Yeah."

"Maybe you shouldn't record past seven."

I waved a hand in the air. "Naw, it's just the first day. I'll get used to it."

By the time I pulled into my parking spot at school, I was feeling a little more normal.

"Be prepared," Noah said. He grabbed his bag.

"For what?"

"Questions."

He wasn't kidding. Everyone wanted to know how recording went, what songs I sang, which songs I liked better than others, and if I could give people tours of the studio.

It was like the first day back all over again.

The only one who didn't act that way was Garrett. He was more concerned with our date. It was the topic of our lunch conversation.

"Are you a pepperoni girl or a veggie girl?"

"Pepperoni."

He grinned.

"Sweet."

"Are you good at miniature golf?" I asked.

His eyes sparkled. "I've played my fair share of games."

"I drive a mean ball," I said.

Farther down the lunch table, Noah snorted. I glared at him.

I was just glad he wasn't going this time.

------------------------------

The rest of the week flew by. If I wasn't doing homework, I was at the studio. If I wasn't at the studio, I was at school. Finally, Saturday rolled around.

I just wished I could skip Saturday morning.

Dad was almost as grumpy as I was as we sat at the kitchen table eating a late breakfast.

"Dad can we go on the boat today?" Peyton asked. Dad smiled.

"Not today, sweetheart."

"Pey, I'm taking you and Landon to the movies," mom said.

"YAY! A MOO-VIE!" Landon squealed.

"Please tell me it's not something stupid," Peyton said with a sigh.

"It's not stupid. It's the new Pixar movie."

Peyton groaned. To her, that was stupid.

"I'm playing b-ball with the guys," Noah said.

"Can I come?" Pey asked.

"Uh, let me think," Noah said. He pressed a finger to his cheek. "No."

A big hunk of cantaloupe went sailing in the air. It bounced of Noah's nose and landed on the plate.

"HEY!"

"I think it's our cue to leave," dad said. We both stood up.

"Have a good day," mom said.

"I will once it's over. I just want to get this whole Trevor thing overwith," I said.

"That makes two of us," dad said. I heard him mumble something that sounded suspiciously like 'wannabe.'

--------------------------------------

"Alright, this is exciting. Brooke. Trevor. I know you've met before."

I was standing face to face with Trevor Tylers. He was tall, blonde, and blue-eyed. He held out his hand. I shook it quickly.

"Shall we get started?" I asked. He nodded. Even at the photoshoot he had never said one direct word to me.

Snob.

We walked into the soundbooth and put on our headsets.

"Put Me to the Test. Take 1."

The way the song was split, Trevor took the first verse and the chorus. I took the second verse and then a slightly alternate version of the chorus. Then we both sang 'Put me to the test, Why don't you, Put me to the test' until fade.

The music flooded my senses. I wanted to knock this out of the park and send Trevor on his way. I glanced over. He looked at me and then focused on the mic in front of him.

I know that you've been hurt before
I hear that you have cried
But hold on to what's dear to us
Our love hasn't died
I know that you have been down before
I hear how they lied
But remember that I love you
I love you deep inside

So put me to the test
Why don't you
Put me to the test
Of all the guys
Who want you
You know that I'm the best


I hated to admit it, but his voice was pretty good. I hadn't really heard it before. I mean, I'd heard a couple Grenadine songs but they used autotune and I never paid close attention to who was singing what.

"Brooke?"

I looked up.

"Yeah?"

"You totally missed your cue."

Damn.

"Sorry!"

The song started again. Trevor sang his verse and chorus. I closed my eyes.

I know that I've got my faults
I know it in my soul
But just look at the love in me
You know you've got it all
I know the road is tough ahead
With many traps and turns
But just believe my love for you
It's so hot that it burns

So put me to the test
Why don't you
Put me to the test
Of all the girls
Who want you
You know that I'm the best


There was a musical interlude and then we were supposed to come in together. I started to sing. The music stopped.

"Hold it. You guys weren't in time with each other."

I glanced over at Trevor. He looked away.

"Let's try it again."

So we did. And the we tried it a third time. And fourth. And fifth. After the fifth time, the producer came in.

"Okay, this is only going to work if you look at each other so you know what you're both doing."

"Sorry," Trevor said. That was the first actual word I think I had heard from him.

"Yeah, okay. Let's roll," I said.

The producer left the booth. Reluctantly, I looked over at Trevor. He looked at me. The music started.

Put me to the test
Why don't you?
Why don't you?


Trevor smiled. I was caught off guard. I couldn't deny he had a really nice smile. During our photoshoot, we had been required to look 'pensive' and a little 'brooding.'

Put me to the test
Why don't you?
Why don't you?


The music faded. I glanced towards the soundbooth.

"That was great! Now let's do it a couple more times."

I glanced back over at Trevor. He rolled his eyes and smiled again.

I pressed my hands against my headset.

So much for a quick morning...

---------------------------

Chapter note: Lyrics from freelyrics.co.uk
Chapter 12 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Twelve

We broke at two for a bite to eat. I grabbed a chicken salad sandwich and some carrot strips and sat down on the couch. Dad had gotten a call about a half hour ago and had to run home. The garbage disposal had exploded as a result of Landon throwing a transformer down it and mom had been hit with a shredded arm. Her cheek was bleeding and she didn't know whether she needed stitches.

Trevor grabbed a turkey club and sat down beside me. The only sound that filled the air for a good two minutes was the sound of both of us crunching on veggies.

"Have you been working long?"

I glanced over at him. He twirled a celery stick around.

"Working long on what?"

"Your next album."

"Oh. No, I just started Tuesday. I'm working on it after school on Tuesdays and Thursdays."

He turned and looked at me.

"You're still going to school?"

I stopped with another carrot stick halfway to my lips.

"Yeah. Why wouldn't I?"

Trevor shrugged.

"I haven't gone to school in over a year. I'm waiting to get a tutor."

"They haven't given you one yet?"

He shook his head.

"Wow that sucks."

We resumed our mutual chewing. I searched for a topic of conversation.

"I think we should almost be done with the song," I said.

"Yeah. I think it's going to sound really good."

I nodded. I still wasn't so sure. There were so many good songs I had picked out...

"Have you seen one of our concerts?"

I pulled off a hunk of my sandwich. "You mean Grenadine?"

He nodded.

"No. I mean, I've been on the road. And with school and stuff..."

I couldn't be mean. It just wasn't really in me. I didn't want to tell him that I wasn't in to cheesy fake boybands.

"Well if you ever want to let me know. I can give you my number."

He set his plate down and grabbed a pen from the table. He scribbled on a napkin and handed it to me.

"Oh, thank you," I said with a polite smile. I noticed his face was red.

"I saw your last concert. You're really talented."

I felt proud like I always did when anyone told me that.

"Thanks."

I got exactly three bites of my sandwich before the producer called as back in. I folded the napkin and put it in my purse.

I would throw it away later.

----------------------------

"Dad, we're late. I have twenty minutes to get home before Garrett picks me up."

I was freaking out. Recording had run late and dad had come back late. Dad had to take mom to get stitches. In her cheek.

Ouch.

"It'll be fine."

"I have to change! I look disgusting!"

"Brooke, I'm sorry. I'm sure he'll understand."

By the time we pulled up to the house I had exactly ten minutes to change. I ran inside in a panic.

"BROOKE, MOM LOOKS LIKE FANKENSTEEN!" Landon shouted.

I paused. Mom had a bandage over her cheek.

"Are you okay?" I asked. Mom nodded.

"Just a battle wound."

I took that as an 'okay.' I tore up the steps and into my room.

Since we were doing pizza and putt-putt, I changed into a nicer pair of jeans and an old vintage concert t-shirt. I tossed my head forward and then back. I shook out my hair. I grabbed my mascara.

The doorbell rang.

He was early?

Who showed up early anywhere?

Certaintly not a Carter, that's for sure.

I really didn't want Garrett to have to have to endure another round with dad. I glanced at myself and deemed myself passable. I grabbed my purse and jogged back downstairs. For as many times as I ran up and down per day, the stairs should have been worn out years ago.

Garrett was waiting right inside the door. He smiled when he saw me. Dad looked like he was in the middle of saying something.

"Hi Brooke."

"Hey."

Landon was playing with his Play-Doh. If I had been paying closer attention, I would have realized that he had his 'doh' canyon. A flash of orange flew past me. I turned my head. It smacked into Garrett's head. He stumbled back.

"UH-OH!"

"Landon!"

Dad swooped in and grabbed Landon. I grabbed Garrett's arm.

"I'm so sorry are you okay?"

He yanked the ball off of his head and gave me a smile.

"I'm fine. At least it wasn't a bullet." He looked over at my dad.

"I mostly reserve my bullets for bears," dad said. "Mostly."

I rolled my eyes. "Alright, bye!"

"Have her back by ten!" dad called out.

"Yes, Mr. Carter!"

We walked out and I closed the door behind me.

"My family is a little crazy."

"It's fine. I think all families are crazy."

I smiled. "Are we taking your car or..."

"We can take my car."

Garrett walked up and opened his car door. I slid in. The car was dated, but it had a brand new stereo system. He got in and closed the door.

"Nice system," I said.

"Yeah, it was a Christmas present. I needed a better setup to listen to your music."

I laughed. "I hope that's not all you have on your I-Pod."

"No, but it's my favorite."

I was flattered, but at the same time I kind of wanted to forget about the music. I wanted to focus on the date.

"Shall we putt-putt?" I asked.

"Absolutely."

Garrett drove across town to the outdoor putt-putt center. We climbed out and made our way to the counter.

"Two please."

"How many courses?"

I glanced out. There were thirty-six different holes to play, three courses in all.

"Two," Garrett said. He paid. I grabbed a blue ball and a putter. Garrett grabbed an orange one. He held it up.

"It matches my Play-Doh splatter from earlier," he teased.

I laughed.

Garrett wasn't lying when he said he was good at putt-putt. I had always thought I did pretty well, but as we began to play, I had to wonder if dad had just taken a dive whenever he had taken us all out to play. For every hole in one Garrett got, I was averaging about a three.

"Just stand a little bit over to the right," Garrett said as I lined up another shot. He came up behind me. His hands pressed against my arms and he shifted me back. I smiled and tilted my head up to his.

"Like this?" I asked.

He studied my face and smiled. "Yeah. That's perfect."

His face lowered and mine stayed put and he kissed me softly. His hands wrapped around my upper arms. I almost dropped my club. His lips were soft and warm.

I was disappointed when he pulled away. My eyes that I didn't even realize I had closed fluttered open. His hands left my arms.

For a second I forgot where I was. Then I remembered it was my turn to putt. I connected with the ball and watched it sail down the course.

It landed right in the hole.

"AH! AH! AH-AH!" I squealed. I jumped up and down. Then I turned around and hugged him. His arms wrapped around me.

And we kissed again.
Chapter 13 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Thirteen

"I should never have taught you my trick to putting," Garrett complained as we crossed the street to Pizza Hut.

"I think you let me win on course two," I teased. Garrett grinned.

"No, as much as I hate to admit it, you won fair and square."

My hand felt warm and cozy in his. We had swapped kisses throughout both games we had played. I was absolutely happy. And to top it all off, I hadn't seen one paparazzi the entire time I was playing. Sure I had signed a couple autographs, but I could handle that.

"Man, I'm starving," Garrett said. He opened the door and the smell of sauce and cheese invaded my senses. My stomach growled. The few bites I had taken of that chicken salad sandwich was long gone.

A waitress led us to a booth. The restaurant was dark. Low hung red lamps cast a low light over the tabletop. We both ordered a Diet Coke and picked up a menu.

"So you're a pepperoni girl right?"

I smiled. "Right."

"Breadsticks?"

"Love 'em."

Garrett leaned over. "You need to share your secret with all the other girls in the world."

"What secret?"

"Well, I hate girls that order a salad every place. You need to tell all those other girls how to eat normal food and still have such an amazing body."

I blushed. Badly.

"I don't really..."

"Yeah. You do."

Luckily the waitress came with our drinks. Garrett ordered and then it was just the two of us. I took a big sip of my drink.

"So how's our basketball team doing this year?"

I had hit paydirt. Basketball was Garrett's favorite subject.

"We're doing awesome. I can't believe the season's already half over." He took a sip of his Coke. "You need to start coming to our games. I need all the good luck I can get."

I smiled. "I don't know about me bringing good luck."

"You'd be surprised how much better some of the guys do when their girlfriends come to a game."

Woah. Was Garrett putting me in the girlfriend category?

"Well, if you have a game on Monday or Wednesday I can go," I said.

"We have one next Wednesday," Garrett said.

I smiled. "I'll be there."

Our waitress came with the breadsticks. We both grabbed one from the basket and dunked our stick in the marinara sauce at the same time. We laughed.

"Y'know, if we get to the semi-finals we're having a school dance," Garrett said. He took a big bite. I tore off the sauce portion of the piece and popped it in my mouth. It was amazing.

"Really?" I asked after I had swallowed.

"Yeah," Garrett said. He took another bite. "If that happens do you wanna go with me?"

Most of the school dances were reserved for the Juniors and Seniors. Because of the first album and touring, I had yet to be to a dance.

"I would love that," I said enthusiastically.

Garrett grinned.

We ate through the breadsticks in companionable silence. By the time we were done, our pizza arrived.

"So what amazing hit single did you record today?" Garrett asked. He lifted a slice of pizza out of the pan and put it on my plate.

I wrapped my finger around the lingering cheese and broke the lock it had on the pan. I brought my finger to my mouth and nibbled it.

Delicious.

"I spent the entire day doing a duet with Trevor Tylers," I said.

Garrett put a piece of pizza on his plate. He looked at me in surprise.

"Trevor Tylers? I thought you didn't like him," Garrett said. He was frowning.

Uh-oh.

"We're on the same label. My producers made me do this stupid song. I have no many other awesome songs I want on my album that I don't think it's going to make it on the record. I just did it to keep everyone happy."

Garrett popped a piece of pepperoni in his mouth.

"So you were stuck with him all day?"

I decided that maybe pity was the way to go.

"Yeah," I said dramatically. "It was a long day. Of course, I was looking forward to tonight."

I was rewarded with a smile. "Me too."

The rest of dinner went well. We talked about a little bit of everything. Garrett told me a story about one of his recent basketball games where he hit a three-point shot at the last second to win a game. By the time I looked at my watch, it was nine thirty.

"Garrett, I have to be home in a half hour," I said with a sigh.

"Seriously? It's that late already? Damn," Garrett said. "Alright."

We boxed up the rest of the pizza and headed to his car.

"I was wondering if you wanted to get together after school Monday?"

"I'll have to check with my mom and dad," I said. "My homework time is limited right now."

"Tell them we're getting together to do homework."

"Are we?"

Garrett glanced at me and smiled. "Sure."

I knew that Garrett wasn't a great student, but the thought of hanging out with him was too tempting.

"I'll ask."

Garrett pulled up to my house with five minutes to spare. I looked at him. His face was masked in the shadows of evening. He leaned over and kissed me again. I felt his fingers slide into my hair.

I kissed back until I figured that dad was probably watching and if I didn't get out of the car in thirty seconds, he might come out to see what was going on. I pulled back.

"Thanks for a fun night," I said.

"I'll walk you to the door," Garrett said.

He got out and opened my door. I hopped out of the car and we walked hand and hand to the door.

"Have a good night," Garrett said softly.

"You too," I said.

We kissed again. He stepped closer to me and it suddenly felt a lot warmer than March. But not in a bad way. In a good way.

The front door opened. A flood of light spilled out over us.

"Hi sweetie. Goodnight Garrett," dad said.

I pulled away from Garrett and with a wave, slid past dad. Dad must have stared him down all the way to his car. I heard the engine roar to life and the front door closed.

"I don't like boys that kiss on the first date," dad said. I smiled.

"Technically this was our second date," I said.

Before dad could say anything, mom laughed. She was lounging on the couch. The sight of the bandage made me want to cry. My mom was beautiful and right now she looked mangled.

"Nick, there's no way in hell you ever waited until the second date for a kiss," Liv said. "I know you didn't with me."

"Well technically we never dated," dad said with a smile.

I left them to playfully discuss the whole 'kiss-date' thing. I headed upstairs and drifted into my room.

I just wanted to replay the whole date over in my head.

And after I did that I wanted to call Kayleigh. For once, I had a story to tell.
Chapter 14 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Fourteen

The next week didn't go exactly as I had planned. Mom and dad wouldn't let me study with Garrett on Monday. I was pretty sure mom's 'teen girl trickery' radar had gone off. I think I laid on the sad, puppy-eyed charm a little too thick. Luckily, Garrett understood. I think he cared more about me being able to go to the basketball game.

As for the game on Wednesday, I was able to go. But there was a catch.

Dad decided that the whole family should go. My dream of sitting with the other basketball girlfriends was replaced with the reality of being stuck sitting between dad and Landon. Landon must have thought we were at a WWE event because he kept standing up and trash talking the other team. Finally mom had to clamp her hand over his mouth and plop his wiggling body down on her lap. Peyton was engrossed in the game. She loved basketball. She sat behind dad and squeezed dad's neck everytime we scored. After Landon was corraled, Noah and I tried to slide away from the family, but dad made it worse on us by sliding right towards us making quacking noises.

"Dad," Noah whispered. "Please. There's a cool factor that you are so ruining for us right now."

Dad grinned. "Really?" He looked around. He always got excited when he got to go to school events. I felt bad that he never got to experience high school. Not only for him, but for us. He didn't realize how easy it was to go from cool to 'stay away from the kids with the weird family' status.

"Alright, well you two can stay over here. I'll go ignore you," dad finally said. He scooted back over to mom, Pey, and Landon.

"Thank God," Noah said.

We both returned out attention to the game. I had seen my fair share of basketball games in life. March Madness hit our house like a tornado every year. High school basketball wasn't quite as exciting, but Garrett made it look so good.

"Why aren't you down with the girlfriends?"

I looked up. Lona was hovering above me.

"My family's here," I said. "Plus, I'm not a girlfriend."

"That's not what I hear."

My eyes widened. "What have you heard?"

"Garrett's been telling all the guys what an awesome date you guys had Saturday."

I smiled. It had been pretty awesome.

"If that doesn't mean you're being elevated to girlfriend status, I don't know what does."

"Wow. That's...wow."

Lona scampered back over to her friends. Noah frowned at me.

"I don't like it."

I ignored him and leaned forward. Garrett had just gotten the ball. I watched his lean body practically dance around the opposing team. He paused, arched, and the ball swooshed through the hoop.

I stood up and screamed.

"GO GARRETT!"

He turned and looked up in the stands. He spotted me and waved. I grinned and waved back. One of the other guys waved at me and slapped Garrett on the back.

"Ugh," Noah muttered.

"Shut up," I said as I sat down. "If you're so jealous, you should go out for the basketball team next year and snag yourself a cheerleader," I teased.

Noah rolled his eyes. "I don't need to play basketball to get a girlfried," he said lightly.

"Well then why don't you?"

Noah shrugged. "I'm selective."

I knew that's where he differed from dad. Dad made no secret of the long list of girlfriends he had before he had met mom. I've always tried to imagine how different life would have been if Paris Hilton had been my mom. The only image I could conjure was one of me running around without panties, carrying a dog in a purse, and dying young.

Just like she had.

I was grateful dad had scooped mom up. Even if she had been married at the time.

I went down to see Garrett when they broke for the half. He wiped his face and arms on a towel. I tapped his sweaty back. He turned around.

"Hey there, good luck charm," Garrett said with a smile. "I'm glad you were able to come."

I laughed and waved back towards the stands. "Me and the whole family."

Garrett stared back up into the crowd.

"That's cool. Are you enjoying the game?"

I nodded. "I am. You're awesome."

He seemed to stand a little straighter. "Thanks."

I squeezed his arm. "Keep up the good work."

"Will do."

I ran back up the stands. Mom nudged dad, whispered something, and he smiled.

"I WANT POPCORN!" Landon squealed as he saw a guy in front of him sit down with a bag.

"You can't throw it," mom warned. Landon smiled up at her and shook his head.

"I wants to eat it," he said.

"Popcorn sounds good," Peyton said.

Mom and dad stood up and they disappeared down the bleachers with Pey and Landon. They were still gone by the time the second half started.

I was so engrossed in keeping track of Garrett that I didn't hear the loud murmuring and excited squeals that erupted in the crowd around me. I just figured it was the built up school spirit for the home stretch.

It wasn't until Trevor Tylers sat down beside me that I realized what the noise was really about.

"Hey!"

I turned my head so fast that I was surprised I didn't snap a muscle. I couldn't believe it. But there was no denying it. Shaggy blonde hair, big blue eyes, baggy red jersey (which just so happened to be the opposing team's color), and a big smile.

"What are you doing here?" I blurted.

"Well, after talking to you Saturday, I decided to complain again about not having a tutor and I must have finally complained to the right person. Yesterday they enrolled me at Tremont High," he said excitedly. "I only get to go half the day, since the guys and I are recording our new album, but I'm back in school!"

I glanced back out to the court. This wasn't good. To make matters worse, I saw a flash out of the corner of my eye.

Paparrazi.

"That's great," I said distractedly. I could just see the gossip mag article in my head. It would have some cheesy title about school spirit and a big picture of us sitting side by side in the stands togther. I stifled a groan. "Well, I'll let you get going. I'm sure people won't be too happy to see a red jersey to be in our midst," I said quickly. Noah leaned forward and smiled lazily.

"Hey, Trevor Tylers. Sup?"

Trevor looked at him and smiled.

"You Brooke's brother?"

"Yup, Noah."

They shook hands. I stepped on Noah's toe.

"OW!"

"Uh-oh that's our school, er war-cry. You better go. Things might get nasty," I said.

"Oh my god, are you Trevor Tylers?"

It was all over. Six girls came out of nowhere to hover around him and they were not doing any type of war cry to get him out of our student section.

They were drooling.

"Noah, we need to move," I whispered. "Now."

He rubbed his foot. "You hurt my big toe. It's my favorite toe."

"NOAH!"

We got up and moved a couple rows up. I glanced out at the court. I saw Garrett look my way.

He didn't look happy. Something told me he had seen Trevor sitting by me.

What were the odds?
Chapter 15 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Fifteen

We ended up losing the basketball game. I felt really crummy. Garrett was destracted the whole second half and I had a feeling it was because of the whole Trevor incident.

School on Thursday was awkward. Garrett was acting like there was nothing wrong, but I could tell something was. Lona informed me that some of the guys on the basketball team blamed the loss on me for messing with Garrett's mind.

It was a crummy day.

By the time I got the studio, I was mad. Dad picked up on my mood right away.

"Something wrong?" he asked.

"Everything's wrong. Don't you think it's funny that Trevor Tylers just all of a sudden gets enrolled at my rival high school? And don't you think it's funny he just happened to show up at the basketball game?"

"The timing is a little uncanny," dad admitted.

"It's not just a coincidence. I'm sure the record company has something to do with this."

The first thing I did when I got to the studio was corner my producer.

"What do you know about Trevor Tylers being enrolled in school?" I asked.

My producer, Rich Halux had been with me during my entire first album. I loved him to death but I also knew that he was just a puppet for the higher ups.

I might only be sixteen, but I'm not dumb.

"Oh is he going to school?" Rich asked nervously.

"You know something," I said.

"I know we probably should get going on these songs for today," he said.

"RICH!"

He sighed. "Okay, the company thinks it might make for some good publicity."

I snorted. "Good publicity?"

"For your duet. They want this image of typical high school kids doing typical things."

I narrowed my eyes.

"If it makes you feel better, I talked them out of enrolling him in your high school."

"UGH!"

"This whole Trevor thing has to stop," dad said. "I don't like it. The focus needs to go back onto music, not on Brooke's life. No one forces anything on her."

Rich sighed. "I agree, but truthfully the kid did need to go to school. I'm sure this will all blow over soon."

I hoped so. Because if it didn't, I was going to have to get nasty. I had inherited my dad's temper.

You didn't want to mess with a pissed off Carter.

----------------------------

"So, do you want to do something tomorrow night?" I asked Garrett the next day. As always, we were sitting together at lunch. Garrett smiled. Whatever bad mood he was in the day before was gone.

"Can't," he said apologetically. "We have a road game. We're going to be gone until late. How about next weekend?"

I nodded. "Sounds good to me."

"How about a good luck kiss?" Garrett asked. The bell was about to ring any minute. I saw Noah glance our way.

We hadn't really publicly kissed at school. This was a major moment. I smiled and leaned over the table. We met in the middle.

"Ooooooh."

I blushed. I had a feeling that might happen. After all, the rest of the basketball team sat at the table right behind us. Garrett just laughed.

"You guys are just jealous," he said, pointing at his teammates. "Not all of you can have a beautiful girlfriend like me."

My eyes widened. Girlfriend!

"You are so flippin' lucky," Lona said with a sigh as we walked down the hall. Garrett was still talking to the guys.

I did feel lucky. I mean, I had a boyfriend. Not just a boy who was a friend, but an actual boyfriend.

Part of me probably should have had a problem with not really being asked if I wanted to be boyfriend/girlfriend, but my excitement was squashing that thought down fast. It was hard to be all liberal feminist when you were dating a member of the basketball team.

SQUEE!

-------------------------------

"How was school?" mom asked.

"GOOD!" Landon piped up. We all looked at him. He grinned.

"I took him to storytime today," mom explained.

"Oh," we choursed. Every time he went to storytime, he called it school. The poor Kindergarten teacher that was going to have him in a couple years would need a heavy supply of liquor to get through the year. In fact, I was surprised he was still being allowed to come to library storytime. He had glued his forehead to the table a couple months ago and then called Curious George a bad name.

"I need to make a volcano for the science fair," Peyton said.

"Does it have to explode?" dad asked. He sounded excited.

"Of course. I want the whole room to hear it when it goes off!"

Peyton and dad both grinned.

"What about you two?" mom asked.

"You should start with Brooke," Noah said. "Ask her about her boyfriend."

I tried to kick him under the table, but he moved his leg too fast.

NoNo was getting on my nerves.

"Boyfriend?" dad asked.

"A new development in Garrett land?" mom asked.

I blushed. "Well, kind of."

"When did this happen?" dad asked.

"At lunch."

"He asked you to be his girlfriend at lunch?"

"He didn't ask," Noah said. "He asked for a kiss, grunted, practically scratched himself, and declared that he had the best girlfriend. It ranked right up there with the all-time greatest caveman moments," Noah said.

"NOAH!" I yelled. I threw a dinner roll at him. He caught it, stuffed it in his mouth and laughed.

"Is that what happened?"

Dad was frowning.

"No," I said. "Noah's exaggerating."

"So did he ask you if you wanted to be his girlfriend?" mom asked.

"Well, no. But it's kind of implied," I said.

"You've only been on two dates," dad complained. "I don't know how that makes you exclusive."

"How many dates did you and mom go on before you were exclusive?" I asked sweetly.

Mom and dad were pretty open about the whole sex issue. I mean, I didn't go walking in on them or anything, but I knew how they met and I knew mom had gotten pregnant with me really quickly. And by quickly, I mean before she was even divorced from her first husband.

So, therefore, I didn't feel too bad asking the question.

"That was different," dad said. "We were both much much older."

"Dad's right," mom said. She smiled. "He had already gone through the phone book when it came to dates and girlfriends so he really didn't have much choice. I was the only one left."

Dad tried to look hurt, but he couldn't do it. He laughed.

"Smartass."

They started to banter back and forth. I was saved by parental flirtation.

Yuck.
Chapter 16 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Sixteen

Between school, recording, and dates with Garrett, time seemed to speed up with no sign of stopping. Sleep was a rare commodity. Some nights it seemed like such a waste to spend my little bit of alone time asleep. But I had no choice. Some nights I fell asleep with my chemistry book on my head.

My grades dipped a little bit, but not bad enough that dad pulled the plug on me going out on Saturday night.

Garrett and I were the topic of conversation at the school. We couldn't walk down the hall without someone stopping and talking to us.

"I think we rule the school," he told me one day. I just laughed. I didn't want to rule the school.

I just wanted to have fun.

Kayleigh was totally jealous. She insisted I call her at least once a week to give her a Garrett update.

And she still couldn't believe I hadn't slept with him.

"Kay, we haven't been going out that long. I'm not going to rush into anything," I told her. She just clicked her tongue.

"Don't keep him waiting too long. He'll find someone better."

"No, he's not like that."

"All boys are like that," she said knowingly.

Of course, our relationship wasn't without a few little bumps. A week after the basketball game, a picture of Trevor and I had hit the cover of a couple of the magazines. The headlines were all the same - 'dream teen team,' 'a hoop date' - stuff like that. Garrett had gotten kind of, well, bitchy, but I assured him that it was publicity.

Publicity was what made the world go round.

My album was coming along great. I figured that with as hard as I was working, I would be done before prom.

Prom. It was what everyone was talking about. Our basketball team hadn't made it to semi-finals, so we didn't get the dance Garrett had talked about. But nothing was going to cancel prom.

I waited impatiently for Garrett to ask me to prom. By the second week of April I was getting nervous. I would only have three weeks to find a dress.

I decided to ask him one Friday night when we went out for ice cream.

"Hey Garrett?"

"Yeah babe?" That was his nickname for me - 'babe.'

"Prom's coming up soon..." I said.

He scooped up a huge mess of pineapple, vanilla ice cream, and banana and took a big bite. He nodded.

"Mmmhmm?"

"Well, I was wondering if...y'know..." I trailed off. "We're going right?"

He swallowed and laughed.

"Of course we're going. Why wouldn't we?"

"Well you didn't ask me!"

"I thought it was implied!"

I pursed my lips. He smiled and tapped my nose.

"Brooke, you're my girlfriend. Who else would I go with?"

I cracked a smile. "You're right. I just wanted to make sure."

"You worry too much."

A bright flash went off. I sighed. Garrett turned purposely towards the camera.

Garrett had first showed up in a magazine about a week ago. He had held up the magazine like he had made the top spot in People's '50 Most Gorgeous People.'

"You should wear red like you did for your birthday," Garrett suggested before he took another bite.

"Why?"

He swallowed. "Because you look great in red. Plus, I already put in an order for a red corsage."

A little well of frustration bubbled into my stomach.

"What if I can't find a red dress?"

Garrett smiled. "You'll find one."

We left about a half hour later. Garrett took a wrong turn on the way home.

"Garrett, you turned the wrong way."

He smiled. "No I didn't."

Five minutes later we were parked in a little out of the way place overlooking the beach.

"What's this?"

"We still have a little time before your curfew."

I turned towards him and he kissed me.

My arms looped around his neck. I liked our slow gentle kisses, but tonight he was throwing gentle out the window. His lips pressed against mine harder. I felt the tip of his tongue push between my parted lips. He explored my mouth hungrily.

I wasn't opposed to a french kiss, but I was a little wary of being in an unfamiliar place. I pressed my hands against his shoulders.

"Garrett," I whispered.

I didn't get to say anything else. He leaned into me. I fell lightly against the passenger side door. He kissed me again. I drew in a little intake of air.

His hands slide from my waist and travel upwards. I bristled when he grabbed my breast.

I shoved at his shoulders.

"GARRETT!"

He looked at me in surprise.

"What?"

"I don't want to do this here."

A wash of disappointment crossed his face. I pried his hand away.

"Why not?"

"I don't like this place. It's too quiet."

Garrett gave me a crooked grin. "Well it's hard to do anything with tons of people around, Brooke."

My stomach felt squishy.

"I know," I said apologetically. "Just not tonight okay?"

He stared at me for a long time.

"Okay."

He straightened back up. I did the same. We buckled in and he headed towards home.

I could still almost feel his hand on my breast. I was tingling a little bit. I felt guilty for stopping him. He was harmless. He just wanted to make out like any normal boyfriend and girlfriend did. I glanced over at him.

"It's okay Brooke," he said before I said anything. I smiled.

"Thank you."

He came tp a stop in front of the house and we got out and walked to the door. He kissed me softly and then pulled away.

"Start looking for that red dress," he teased. I laughed.

"Deal."

He waved and I watched him walk back to the car. I headed inside. Dad and Peyton were sitting in the living room playing video games. Noah had gone out on a double date with one of his friends and a couple girls from school. Landon was fast asleep on moms lap. She was still holding the picture book she must have been reading him.

"Hey sweetie," she whispered. I smiled.

"Hey mom."

"Have fun?"

"Yeah I did. I'm going to go call Kay."

Mom laughed. Landon snuggled up to her. "Okay."

Dad turned around. "Hey BooBoo."

"Hey dad."

"HA! Killed ya!"

Dad whirled around. Peyton was smiling at him happily.

I headed upstairs. I kicked off my shoes and stretched out on the bed. Kay picked up on the first ring.

"How was your date?" she asked. There was no need to say hello.

"Good," I said hesitantly.

"Ooh, what happened?"

I got up, closed the door, and then settled back down on the bed.

"He went in for the french kiss and grabbed my boob."

"Nice."

"I stopped him."

Kay groaned. "BROOKE!"

"What?"

"What am I going to do with you?"

I sighed. "I was nervous. He took me to this secluded place overlooking the beach."

"How romantic."

Now I was feeling silly. I had gotten scared at a place that sounded romantic.

"It just freaked me out."

"Well you're going to have to relax sometime B."

"I know."

I pulled at a thread on my bedspread.

"In other news, we're going to prom together."

Kay made a little noise between a hum and a tongue click.

"I'm so jealous. I hate being homeschooled."

"I thought you were going to high school this year."

"For like three hours. What kind of trouble can I get into in three hours?"

I grinned. Plenty, I assumed.

"I wish I could go to your prom," Kayleigh said wistfully.

"That would be fun," I said. "I still want you to meet Garrett."

"I know. Hm, well maybe I'll crash."

I laughed. "All the way from Atlanta?"

"Don't underestimate me."

I grinned. "Never."

Kay yawned. "Well, girl, I'm going to go fake my beauty sleep. I'm going clubbing tonight."

I shook my head. "Alright. Talk to you soon."

"Okay. Late!"

"Late."

I hung up. My brain was swimming with thoughts of kisses, and dresses, and everything else. I closed my eyes. I heard footsteps on the stairs, most likely those of mom carrying Landon to bed. I thought about all the nights I had crawled into bed with mom and dad right after the kidnapping. I had just wanted to feel safe.

I was pretty sure that's why I had freaked out about being out there by the water in the dark with Garrett. A hazy memory came to mind of a smelly lighthouse by the ocean. I shivered.

I just wanted to be safe.
Chapter 17 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Seventeen

"Kay, what's wrong?"

"I have a plan."

"A plan for what?"

"Prom."

I stifled a sigh.

"I'm standing outside my History class because you texted me and said there was something urgent you needed to tell me," I said impatiently. The bell had already rung. I was late.

"This is urgent!"

"Okay, but talk fast. I don't want to get detention."

"M'kay, so you're going with Garrett, right?"

"Right."

"Garrett's on the basketball team, right?"

"Right."

"There's got to be at least a couple single guys on the team, right?"

"Right," I said more cautiously. She let out a laugh.

"Well then it's simple! Ask Garrett to get me one of them."

Get her one of them. It was like she was at a freakin' candy store!

"Kay, it's not that simple. I'm sure a guy wouldn't just go out with someone without meeting --"

"Show 'em my picture. That's enough," she said breezily. "Oh, and tell them to Facebook me. Just please do this for me. I want to experience prom with you!"

She started making little whimpering noises. She did that anytime she prodded me to do something I was hesitant to do.

"Alright! I'll do it!"

Kay giggled. "I love you Brookey."

I smiled. "Yeah, yeah. I've got to go to class!"

"Alright, well let me know who the lucky guy is!"

I laughed and hung up. Leave it to Kay...

-----------------------------

"I have a favor to ask," I told Garrett at lunch. He was eyeing my pudding. With a sigh I handed it over. It was my favorite, chocolate, but I figured I needed a bargaining chip.

"What's up?"

"I was wondering if any of the guys on the team don't have a date to the prom yet," I said lightly. He shoveled half of the pudding cup in his mouth and looked at me.

"Whee?"

I decoded his jarble as - 'Why?'

"My best friend Kayleigh is homeschooled and she desperately wants to go to prom. She was thinking you might have a friend and we could double date."

Garrett swallowed. The spoon scraped around the edges of the plastic container.

"I don't know...Garcia and Rienholdt don't have dates, but sight unseen..."

I took out my phone and slid through the screens. A second later I held up her profile picture on Facebook. She looked like she was posing for a spot on one of the modeling reality shows on TV. Garrett clamped the spoon between his teeth and took the phone. After a second, he yanked the spoon out of his mouth.

"Yo, GARCIA!"

Donovan "Donnie" Garcia was a forward on the team. He was from some little town in Mexico. He had a beautiful complex and long black hair he kept pulled back from his face in a small ponytail. Unfortunately, he was dumber than a box of rocks.

But then again, that might work well for Kayleigh. He had been held back two years and he was almost eighteen.

On second thought, he was probably the perfect date.

"I got you a date for prom," Garrett said. He held up the phone.

Donnie picked up the phone and looked at Kay's picture. He grinned.

"Where'd she come from?"

Garrett gestured with his spoon. "She's Brooke's friend. She wants to come to our prom."

"Does she really look like this?" Donnie asked. He looked at me. I nodded.

"Yeah, she does."

Donnie handed the phone back to me with a grin.

"I'm totally interested."

"She said you can friend her on Facebook if you want. I can send you a link," I offered.

"Sweet."

Donnie headed towards the cafeteria line. I was pretty sure he was on his third lunch.

Garrett leaned towards me with a smile.

"You owe me, doll."

I laughed. His smile was teasing, but there was a little look in his eyes...

Nah, I was just imagining things.

------------------------

"That's a wrap!"

I tossed down the headphones and squealed. This was the day I had been waiting for. I had over twenty five polished tracks to choose from for my next album.

The hard part was behind me now.

Dad gave me a thumbs up. I ran out of the recording booth and hugged him.

"Great job."

"Now the fun begins," I said.

"Well, before you get too happy," Rich said slowly. I stopped.

"What? Why can't I be happy?"

"Management's got your duet with Trevor going through the channels already."

My eyes widened. Rich held up his hands.

"I seriously had nothing to do with it. I was talking to one of my radio buddies and they leaked him a copy. I think it's going to be your first single whether you like it or not."

I groaned. This wasn't fair. I had over two dozen amazing songs burning to a CD for my listening and choosing pleasure as we were speaking.

"That's not right. I think they're in violation of Brooke's contract," dad said.

"Well, you didn't hear it from me," Rich said. He turned around and whistled.

Dad was quiet on the way home while I continued to complain loudly. When we got home, the first thing I did was start complaining all over again to mom. Dad headed towards his office (which was really mostly a playroom).

"I'm sure dad will figure it out," mom said. She handed me a beater filled with cookie dough. I swiped a tiny bit of the batter off and tasted it.

"What's going on? You usually lick the beater until I fear your tongue will get stuck," mom teased.

"I'm trying prom dresses on tomorrow," I explained. "I'm not gaining even an ounce."

"Honey, you're going to look great no matter what," mom said.

I rolled my eyes. What did moms know? They were prejudice.

"But that reminds me. Aunt LeighLeigh called and Kay's coming in early tomorrow morning to go shoppng with you."

Kay had been over the moon when I told her I had secured her a date. It had taken a little bit of begging, but Uncle Bri and Aunt LeighLeigh finally agreed that she could go.

I squealed. "I can't wait until tomorrow," I said happily.

"Me either. I better bring tissues," mom said with a sigh.

"Mom..."

She kissed my forehead.

"You're growing up. I'm allowed to cry over that."

"MOM! LANDON GOT HIS HEAD STUCK IN THE RAILING!" Peyton bellowed from upstairs.

Mom sighed.

"And then there's my little goober..."

Mom grabbed a big tub of butter from the refrigerator and walked out of the kitchen. I picked the beater up out of the bowl and took a big lick.

If no one saw me do it, I figured that just made it invisible calories.

Plus, it was so good.
Chapter 18 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Eighteen

"This is so exciting!"

Kay had her phone at the ready as we walked into a teeny tiny little store that I would have probably never noticed. The outside was completely brick but the inside...

The inside was wall to wall dresses.

When Mom and I had talked about our dress hunting game plan, mom completely brushed over the idea of finding prom dresses at the mall.

"We're going to visit all the little hole in the wall stores. That way you'll find something unique," she had said.

"You know, I found my wedding dress when I went shopping with your mom," mom told Kayleigh.

"You did?"

Mom nodded and laughed. "Yeah, while I was catfighting with a psycho lady who thought it was her dress, your mom ran my dress up to the counter. She saved the day."

Kay and I shared a smile. That was kind of cool. I was glad Kay was here. Maybe she would bring me as much luck as Aunt LeighLeigh had brought mom. After all, mom and dad pretty much had a dream wedding. I loved looking at their wedding pictures. They both looked so young and gorgeous.

And I had looked so small and pudgy. But then again, I hadn't even been four months old.

"I don't know where to start," Kay said.

"Keep your eye out for any red dresses," I said.

"Red?" mom asked. "You're set on the color?"

"Yeah, it's got to be red."

We all started looking. Kay pulled out a half dozen dresses to try on in the first five minutes.

I was a little more selective. I would find a red dress, hold it out in front of me, study it, and then put it back.

I circled the store three times. Each time my eye kept coming back to the same dress.

The only problem was that it wasn't red.

It was a deep purple dress with a shimmery overlay that almost made it look like it had emeralds dancing along the skirt if held at just the right light. It had little diamond straps that criss crossed in the back and little swirls that almost reminded me of music dripping down the sides.

"That's beautiful," mom commented as I stopped and stared at it. "You should try it on."

"It's not red," I said.

"So? You might be happily surprised."

I didn't want to tell mom that the reason why I had to wear red, so I took the dress off the rack.

Kay and I got side-by-side dressing rooms and the fashion show started.

"Are you ready yet?" Kay called. "We can zip each other up!"

I wiggled into a red dress.

"Okay!"

"One---two---three!"

We opened our dressing room doors at the same time and stepped out.

Kay had on a hot pink dress with a low front. It floated to the floor. She turned around.

"Can you get my zipper?"

The back was pretty much nonexistant. There was maybe a half inch that I had to zip and that was just to cover her ass. I turned around and she zipped up my high back.

We stood side by side and looked in the mirror. The only thing the dress I was wearing had going for it was that it was red.

"Hmm, not bad," Kay said.

"There's no way in good conscious as a friend of your parents that I'm letting you get that dress Kayleigh Danielle," mom said.

It was never good when the middle name came out. Kay made a face. We looked at each other and went back into the dressing rooms.

Our second trip out wasn't much better than the first. Mom only had to cough before we both knew Kay's nude dress with the see through tummy panel was a 'no way in hell' choice.

As for my second red dress, it was just like the first. It didn't do anything for me.

"Try on the purple one," mom suggested.

"Yeah, I want to see that one too," Kay said. We both walked back into the dressing room.

I took the purple dress off the hanger. I held it out and swished it. I loved that little bit of green. I couldn't even begin to describe how the material made that effect. It was magic.

The dress fit like a glove. It had a side zipper that seemed to disappear amongst the swirls dancing down the side.

"Ready?" Kay called.

"Ready!"

We stepped out. Mom made a little gaspy sigh.

"Oh Brooke."

I turned towards the mirror. The minute I saw myself in the dress I was in love. I felt like a princess. I could almost picture my hair curled up and a little tiara on my head.

It would be like playing dress up.

Except for real.

I turned from side to side. I held the material in my hands.

"That's the one," mom said.

I started to nod, but then I remembered the red corsage and the way Garrett said I looked amazing in red.

"I wish it came in red," I said sadly.

"What's with you and red?" mom said.

"I just...want to wear red to prom," I said. Mom gave me a look.

"Well, don't put that one back just yet. We'll keep looking. And Kay, that's another 'no.'"

Kay huffed and slammed back into the dressing room. The corners of mom's mouth twitched.

Kay gave the word 'drama' a whole new name.

Two hours later, Kay and I both stepped out of the dressing room with our chosen dresses on.

Kay's dress was a strapless light pink dress with white and pink sequins on the top and a flowing silk bottom. It was actually modest and she looked amazing.

My dress had thin red straps and little black accents along the top of the bodice and along the bottom of the hem. On the right side was a black and white diamond heart accent.

"Those both look wonderful," mom said approvingly.

"This is my pick," Kay said.

"And this is mine," I said. I glanced at the purple dress still hanging in the room. Mom seemed to follow my gaze.

"Why don't you get both?"

They were both ridiculously expensive. I started to shake my head, but mom waved her hand.

"It's fine, honey. You'll probably need some more formal clothes now that you're a superstar. All those black tie events and everything."

I laughed. I truly had the best parents in the world.

"I'm going to go get a salesclerk to help us get wrapped up," mom said. A couple salesladies had been bugging us every ten minutes. I think mom just finally wanted to give the piranhas the comfort of knowing they had a sale.

"Psst."

I turned and looked at Kay.

"What?"

"Look how awesome this dress is."

She reached down along the bottom of the dress. A second later, there was a split in the dress going all the way up her leg. She jutted out a hip. My mouth dropped open.

"Like I said. This is the perfect dress. A little bit angel...and a whole hell of a lot devil."

I shook my head. She rezipped it just as mom came back.

"Go ahead and get changed girls. I think all this hard work deserves a nice dinner out."

Kay flashed me a grin. I laughed and headed into the dressing room. I slipped out of the red dress. I stood there for a moment and looked at both dresses.

I was grateful that I wasn't leaving the purple one at the store. Even if I only looked at it hanging in my closet, at least it was mine.

In my mind, the red one belonged to Garrett.
Chapter 19 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Nineteen

With one week to go before prom, that was all the whole school could talk about...well, at least the Junior and Seniors.

"Did you get your dress?" Garrett asked me Monday morning. I leaned against my locker.

"I did."

"A red one, right?"

I nodded. "Yeah, but I was thinking--"

"Awesome," Garrett said. "Oh, and you're going to love this. My uncle's lending me his Vintage Red 1985 Oldsmobile Tornado. We'll be arriving in style."

I smiled. "Really? That's cool. But, I found another dress I love. It's purple and--"

"But you got the red one right?"

"Well, yes, but--"

"Wear the red," Garrett said.

"Hey Brooke?"

I reluctantly turned around. Donnie was heading in my direction.

"Did Kayleigh get her dress?"

I nodded.

"What color?"

"Light pink."

"Does she like roses?"

I smiled. "I think every girl likes roses."

He nodded. "Cool." He gave us a thumbs up and walked off.

I turned around to continue the dress conversation, but the warning bell rang. Garrett squeezed my arm.

"See ya at lunch!"

He gave me a quick kiss and hurried off. I pushed aside my feeling of frustration and headed in the opposite direction.

Teachers didn't care if prom was right around the corner. They still expected us to learn.

What were they thinking?

-----------------------------

"Good news," dad said at dinner.

"We're getting another dog!" Peyton guessed.

"I'm getting a car!" Noah said.

"DINOSAURS POOPED IN THE BACKYARD!" Landon squealed.

I propped my chin in my hand and just smiled at dad. He laughed and pointed to everyone in turn.

"No way," he told Peyton.

"You haven't even taken driver's ed," he reminded Noah.

"If they did, you're cleaning it up," he teased Landon. Landon's eyes got HUGE.

And then he looked at me.

"I got the record company to stop sending out copies of your duet with Trevor."

I grinned. "Really?"

"It's in the contract that you get to choose what songs go on your record and you have the right to choose the first single. They got a little ahead of themselves."

I had been listening to my CD over and over again. I hated to admit it, but I was pretty sure I was going to put the duet on it after all. It was really good.

But not good enough to be the first single.

"Thank you," I said gratefully. Dad smiled.

"You're welcome. I learned the hard way. I don't want you to have to do the same."

"So what is your first single going to be?" Noah asked.

"Well, since you didn't write me anything, I'm going to go with one of my uptempo numbers, Chaotic. It''ll be great for a summer release."

"I think we'd all like to see some of the stuff you've written," mom added. Noah just shook his head.

"All works in progress," he said lightly. "But maybe I'll take over the drums if you tour this summer."

I grinned. "That would rock."

"Hey, that puts me out of a job!" dad complained. Mom laughed.

"You and the guys were talking about recording new music, remember? And a fall tour?"

"Oh, yeah."

We all started talking about albums, and touring, and all the other stuff that went with it. Noah, Pey, and I didn't really know anything different. Dad's job was music. He had taken the last five years off, but I really wanted him back out there.

It was what he did best.

Besides being an awesome dad, that is.

-------------------------

Kay flew back down on Friday night. She started talking the minute she got off the plane.

"We have so much to do! I brought hair magazines and my mani and pedi kit and--"

"Woah. Breathe," I laughed.

"There's no time to breathe!"

We started to go over the magazines on the way home. We were still looking at them at dinner.

"Girls, put those down and eat," dad said.

"Uncle Nick, how can you expect us to eat?" Kay said. She picked up her chopsticks and snapped them in Noah's direction. He had been staring at her. His face turned red and he stabbed at a piece of pork.

"There's over twenty four hours before you guys leave for prom. You have to eat," dad reasoned. Mom just gave us a wink.

"Boys don't understand," Kay said as we headed up the stairs.

"How did your mom like your dress?"

Kay laughed. "She liked it. I about died when she touched the bottom half, but luckily she didn't find that secret zipper."

"Well, don't think you're going to go bare legged for photos," I said. Kay rolled her eyes.

"I'm smarter than that. It'll go up afterwards."

I rolled over on my stomach and put the magazine on the floor. There were a couple different updo's I loved. Mom and I had found the perfect tiara.

"Are you wearing the purple dress?"

"No, the red."

Kay hummed. "I like the purple."

"Garrett already got me a red corsage."

"We'll just see about this Garrett guy."

I looked over at Kay.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"He sounds bossy. We're supposed to be the bossy ones. Not the guys."

I laughed. "Who said?"

"It's written through history that way."

"Well is your mom bossy to your dad?"

"Sometimes," Kay said. "But he still loves her to bits." She paused. "And Claudia's uber bossy. I don't know how Baylee can stand her."

"Well, he's marrying her, so obviously there's something about her."

Kay snorted. "I've already told you my theory on why he's getting married."

I rolled my eyes. Before I could explain to her that I highly doubted anyone one get married just for sex, she went on.

"I just can't wait for the wedding to be over. Then maybe mom and dad will realize that I exist again. I swear if Baylee wanted the sun to rise a couple hours earlier, they would make it happen for him."

I frowned. "I'm sure you're exaggerating."

Kay shrugged. "I don't know. Sometimes I think I could get away with murder and they wouldn't even know."

I turned a page of my magazine slowly. Kay's usual exuberance had disappeared. She sighed. Thirty seconds later she was rambling about garters, but I was only half listening.

Something told me my bff's passion for danger wasn't just for her own personal enjoyment.

It was a plea to be noticed.
Chapter 20 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Twenty

"Why's Noah sulking?" Kayleigh asked.

"Oh, he was planning on hanging out with Logan tonight, but Logan's going to his school's prom. It's going to be crazy. Every high school but Tremont has their prom tonight."

"Logan's not a Junior though, is he?" Kay asked.

"No, he's a Freshman."

Kayleigh was running lotion up and down her legs. We had just arrived back home from the salon. We both had gone for sweeping, curling updo's. I admired my tiara in the mirror.

"Well, it's because he's a model. A hot model. I would make an age exception rule for him."

I rolled my eyes. That was one of the reasons I tried to keep those two separated at all costs.

"Hey Brooke, mom wants to know--"

Noah pushed open the door. I waited for him to continue. When I turned to look at him, he was staring at Kayleigh. Kay wasn't even aware. She was still lotioning up her legs like she was getting ready for a sporting event.

I sighed. "What Noah?"

He blinked and reddened.

"Mom wanted to know if you girls need anything from the store. Make-up, or...or anything girly."

Kayleigh opened her mouth and I had a feeling whatever she was about to say would either make Noah drool more or embarass the hell out of him.

"Nope, tell her we're good," I said. Noah nodded and headed down the hall. Kay just laughed.

"It's a good thing I don't live closer," she said. "His eyeballs would fall out."

"He just needs a serious girlfriend," I said.

"I'm surprised he doesn't have one. He's hot," Kay said.

I looked at her in surprise. Kay had never called Noah hot before.

"What? He is? I mean, he's not my type. He's too young and innocent. I like a take charge type of guy."

"I thought you liked to be the one in charge."

Kay laughed again. "You can have both Brooke."

I just shook my head. I opened my make-up case and got to work.

"Where's your purse?" Kay asked.

"It's over there. The red one. I transferred all my stuff over to it this morning."

I know some girls carefully decide whether or not each item in their purse will make it over to their new purse. I was a 'dump and go' type of gal. I was probably bringing more useless crap to prom than anyone else.

As I applied my lipliner, I saw Kay open my bag. She reached into hers and transferred something over.

"What was that?"

"What was what?"

"You put something in my purse!"

Kay walked to the door, looked down the hallway, then closed the door. She went back to my bag and held up a package.

"Condom."

"Kay, I don't need that," I said.

"Birth control is only 99.9% effective. This is your extra .1%"

It was probably the one math problem she knew. Kay sucked at math.

"No, I don't need it because Garrett and I are not having sex tonight," I said.

"Why not?"

"Because I'm not ready! We haven't been dating that long."

"But it's prom."

"So? If we're still together next year for prom, then maybe I'll need it."

"You are seriously not waiting until your Senior year to lose your virginity," Kay said in astonishment.

I smiled. "I'll wait for when the moment's right."

Kay hummed and stuck the package back in her bag.

"Alright, babe. You know where to find them if you change your mind."

She came back over and sat beside me at my make-up table. We faced each other and began to finish off our make-up.

Something told me that Donnie was going to get lucky tonight.

---------------------------

"Oh Brooke," dad said softly.

"You two look beautiful," mom said with a grin.

"Where's your magic wands?" Landon asked.

Peyton was sprawled on the couch eating a Pixie stix. She looked up and gave me a thumbs up. That was about as much reaction from dresses as I was going to get from her.

Kay and I both were hovering at the upstairs landing. Mom and dad both raised cameras and the flashes began.

I was pretty sure they had both used a whole camera card by the time Kay and I got to the bottom step.

And dad was crying.

"You look gorgeous baby girl," he said. He walked over and I hugged his neck.

"Thanks daddy."

"Okay Kay, smile," mom said. Kay did a model pose, flashed a perfect white smile, and stared at mom's phone. There was a click.

"I'm sending this to your mom and dad," mom explained.

Kay's smile flickered a little.

"Wow."

Noah had been leaning up against the couch but that was the first word he actually said. And of course, it was directed to Kay. He was looking at her like he had never seen a vision so beautiful. I was pretty sure that if there was a huge volcanic pit between the stairs and the door and Kay wanted to cross, that Noah would lay down and become crispy bacon just so she could walk over him.

I really needed to find him a girlfriend.

Dad touched my tiara. "You're all grown up," he said wistfully. "I remember when you were little you said you'd go to Prom with me."

I laughed and squeezed his arm.

"I wouldn't want to step on mom's toes," I teased. I kissed his cheek.

"Okay girls, let's get some more pictures."

Mom lived for photography. We had a small closet filled with scrapbooks and cameras. By the time the doorbell rang, Kay and I were both seeing distinct white spots in front of our eyes.

"I'll get it," dad said.

"Be nice," mom warned.

"Aren't I always?"

Garrett and Donnie were both waiting outside. Garrett was wearing a white tux complete with white top hat and cane. I have to admit, I was surprised. I was assuming he was going to wear a black tux like Donnie. Garrett almost looked like a pimp. Donnie looked like a normal Junior going to prom.

"Come in," dad said. Both guys shuffled in. Dad looked at Donnie.

"Do you hunt?"

Mom and I both groaned.

"Nickolas..." mom warned. Dad gave her a look and sighed.

"Okay, here's the rules. You have to have the girls home by midnight."

"Midnight?" Kay said. "But prom doesn't let out until eleven thirty! Then there's the afterparty."

"No afterparty for Juniors," dad said. Kay made a face.

"Yes sir," Donnie said. Garrett just nodded.

"Garrett?"

His fingers tightened around the cane.

"Yes, sir."

"I expect you to treat both of these girls like the ladies they are. There's to be absolutely no drinking of any kind."

"Yes sir," Donnie said. Garrett started to nod, but then gave dad a "Yes, sir."

Dad's face contorted. I think he was trying to think of another rule.

"Okay, who's ready for pictures?" mom said.

As much as I hated it, we were saved by the flash.

"You look gorgeous," Garrett said when dad finally let him pass. I smiled.

"Thank you."

He opened the lid of a plastic container. A corsage with one little rose and tons of babie breath lay inside. I held out my wrist.

Snap, snap went the camera. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a HUGE pink and white rose corsage being slipping on Kay's wrist.

Mom went through the whole routine of poising us anywhere and everywhere. When I finally could see, I glanced at the clock.

"Mom, we better go," I said.

"What? Oh yeah. You have a prom to go too."

Mom and dad (and Landon) all gave me hugs and kisses. We had to listen to the rules one more time.

And then we were free to leave.

"Have a great time!" mom called after us. She lifted the camera as I turned and waved.

Snap.

Garrett and Donnie had driven seperately. The huge red car Garrett told me about was parked in front of the house. A little black car was parked behind it.

"This is the best I could do," Donnie said apologetically. Kay batted her lashes at him.

"No problem."

"And this is the best I could do," Garrett said grandly. I smiled.

"It's nice."

He opened the door and I slid in. The seats were so large and my dress so silky that I almost slid to the floorboard. I had to scramble to sit up and even then I had to lock my knees to keep from sliding. Garrett got in, reached across me, and pulled a huge seatbelt down.

As I buckled myself in, I took a deep breath.

I glanced down at my corsage.

A petal was already falling off my rose.
Chapter 21 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Twenty One

"WOOT! WOOT!"

Kay was already dancing as she got out of Donnie's car. I laughed.

The guys had made reservations at an Italian restaurant near the prom venue. The school had rented out the old train depot for the night. I was pretty excited to see what the decorations looked like. Our theme was vintage Hollywood.

"I don't know if I'll be able to eat," Kay told Donnie. He smiled down at her. I could tell he had already fallen victim to the Littrell charm.

"Well, we're starving," Garrett said. His hand pressed against the small of my back as Donnie held the door open.

We weren't the only high school kids there. Almost every table had a prom couple sitting at it. I smiled when I saw Logan.

"Hey Logan!"

Logan turned and broke into a grin. He stood up as I made my way up to him.

"Hey Brooke."

We hugged. "You look great."

"So do you."

He looked like he had stepped right off of an advertisement for a tux shop. He straightened his tie.

"Thanks. This is my date Camilla."

Camilla stood up and we shook hands. I had no doubt in my mind that they were going to be one of the best looking couples at their prom. Camilla was gorgeous.

"A-hem."

I turned. Kayleigh was standing behind me.

"Logan, do you remember Kayleigh?"

He looked at her thoughtfully. Finally he nodded and smiled.

"Yeah! You're Brian and Leighanne's daughter, right?"

Kay smiled.

"Yup. It's good to see you again."

Logan nodded.

"Good to see you too. Let's see. I last saw you at Brooke's birthday breakfast, right?"

Kay laughed.

"Right."

I figured that was enough of a 'Logan' moment for Kay. After all, our dates were waiting for us.

"Well, have fun tonight," I told him. He smiled. "You too."

Donnie and Garrett had gotten our table. We walked back over and sat down.

"Who was that?" Garrett asked. I noticed he was frowning.

"My cousin," I said.

"Oh."

"So Donnie, I hope you like to dance," Kay said. She opened her menu.

"I love to dance," Donnie assured her.

I opened my menu. Usually I didn't care about eating what I wanted on dates, but this was prom. I knew I was going for a salad.

I was intently studying my choices when I felt a hand on my knee. I glanced over at Garrett. His right arm was under the table. I shifted slightly. The hand disappeared. A second later it was back on my knee. I bit the inside of my cheek.

Before I had a chance to say anything, our waitress came around. We ordered our meals and drinks at the same time. The place was packed and it looked like service was going to be slow.

"Anyone want a breadstick?" Donnie asked.

"I'll take one," Kay said. I reached over for the sole purpose of knocking Garrett's hand back off my knee. I took the breadstick and put it down on my plate. Kay kept a hold of hers.

"These are pretty big breadsticks," she said. She glanced at Donnie. "I like big breadsticks."

I almost did a face-palm slap. Then I almost reached over and slapped her. But instead I just sat there looking at her increduously. Donnie grinned at her. Garrett's hand slid back over my knee. He squeezed it.

"I'm going to go to the restroom," I said suddenly. I scooted my chair back. Garrett put his hand back on the table and looked at me.

"Kay?" I asked

She was still wiggling the damn stick. She quickly set it down.

"What? Oh! Okay!"

She got up and pressed her hand on Donnie's shoulder.

"Be right back!"

I led the way to the restroom. Once we were in, I leaned up against the sink.

"What's up? You gotta pee? I can hold your dress over the stall door," Kay offered.

"No! I don't have to pee! Garrett keeps grabbed my knee!"

Kay laughed. "So?"

"So, I don't like it!"

"Then slap him away!"

"Really?"

"Really. Don't take any shit."

Kay reached down and unzipped her dress. She wiggled her leg.

"Now, if Donnie wants to cop a feel, that's cool."

"Kay, you're not helping."

"What?"

I sighed. "Nothing."

We reapplied our lipgloss and then headed back to the table. Donnie's eyes widened.

"Holy shit, did you rip your dress?" Donnie asked. His eyes burned into Kay's bare leg.

"No, it comes like this," Kay said. She sat back down.

"Does your dress do that?" Garrett asked hopefully. I smoothed out the material.

"Nope."

"So, you guys are on the basketball team?" Kay asked.

She had said the magic words. Garrett and Donnie went into a long discussion about the team. I caught them exaggerating a couple times, but I didn't say anything.

I began to notice while the three of them were talking that prom couples weren't the only people in the restaurant. There were a couple parapazzi floating about. They were doing a pretty good job of blending in, but I knew by the way their arms were poised on the tables and their hands curled that they were holding small cameras.

By the time we ate and left the restaurant, the paparazzi inside had tipped off the paparazzi waiting on the outside. Garrett led me out to a bombardment of flashes.

"Shit," Kay said. I looked back at her. She whirled around and rezipped her dress.

"Let's go," I told Garrett. We walked down a couple steps and then he stopped to tie his shoe. I wouldn't have cared except his laces hadn't even come untied.

"What are you doing?"

"They want pictures!"

"So?"

Garrett stood back up, wrapped his arm around me and smiled.

"Brooke, who designed your dress?"

"When is your new single coming out?"

"Who's the guy?"

I brushed past the photographers. I opened my own car door and got in. I swear I heard Garrett call out his name.

"Phew," he said when he finally yanked open his door.

"What were you doing?" I said angrily.

"Aw c'mon, it's not everyday something like that happens," he said.

"It does to me!"

"Well, can't I enjoy it a little? I mean, I do have the most beautiful prom date in the world."

I blushed.

Garrett smiled. "See, beautiful and modest."

He started the car and it roared, I mean roared to life. I was bracing my legs on the floorboard again to keep from falling. The amount of gas the car burned was astronomical. I could smell it as we took off.

More paparazzi were already stationed at the doors of the train station. Garrett, Kay, Donnie, and I brushed past them this time. The school wasn't letting them through the door.

"Usually I love the camera Brooke, but it's ruining my plans," Kay teased as we stopped in line. I laughed.

"So sorry diva," I teased. "But I wouldn't unzip. They're doing pictures before we even get to the dance floor."

"Well, then I'll just have to remain a sweet little virgin." I saw Donnie look at her. I practically snorted. Kay just laughed and hugged me from behind.

We waited in line for our pictures. Tons of people stopped by to say hello.

"Brooke you look amazing."

"Garrett, you lucky dog."

"Wow, I love your tiara."

"I voted for you for Prom Princess."

I was a little overwhelmed. Before the record deal, I was popular, but not this popular. It always made me wonder who was really being friendly and who was putting on an act.

"Did you hear how many people voted for us for Prom Prince and Princess?" Garrett asked me as we stepped up for our photo. In honor of the Hollywood theme, there was a red carpet and an arch that had silver and gold stars all over it. We walked under the arch and I leaned into Garrett as he wrapped his arms around me. We stared into the camera and smiled.

"I really don't care about the whole Princess thing," I said. "I just came here for fun."

We did one more shot and then stepped aside for Donnie and Kay.

"Oh, I don't care either," he said unconvincingly. "But I can guarantee that we are going to have fun."

He caught me off guard when he scooped me up. He swung me in a circle. I couldn't help but laugh.

"PART-AY TIME!" Kay squealed. Garrett set me back down on the ground.

"C'mon!" Kay said. She took my hand and yanked me forward. The guys were forced to walk behind us. Kay flashed me a smile full of excitement.

"Are you ready?"

I laughed. "For what?"

"For unforgetable-ness," she said breathlessly.

I wasn't sure that was a word, but her excitement was contagious. I glanced back at Garrett and grinned.

It was going to be a fun night. The music was already vibrating the walls and I felt like dancing and I felt like creating a lot of great memories with my best friend and my boyfriend, even if he was being a little grabby.

It would be unforgetable-ness at its best.
Chapter 22 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Twenty Two

"Do you realize I've danced more with you than I have with Garrett tonight?"

Prom was half over and Kay and I had barely left the dance floor. Kay smiled and bumped her hip into mine.

"Well, it's because for basketball players, those two have no rhythm. That does not bode well for any after prom activities."

I laughed. "We don't have time for after prom activities."

"Maybe you don't, but I think I'm going to blow this popsicle stand early."

"You can't leave me here by myself."

"You won't be by yourself."

I glanced over at Garrett. He was leaning against the wall, a glass cup of punch in his hand. We had danced together for maybe three slow songs the whole evening.

But his eyes had never left me once.

"I'm going to the bathroom. Buddy walk me?" Kay asked.

I was about to say yes when I felt a tug on my arm. It was Katy, our Junior Class President.

"Hey Brooke, I need you to join me onstage," she said with a smile. I glanced over at Kay apologetically. She shrugged.

"You win some you lose some. I'll pee fast."

She weaved through the crowd one way and I followed Katy up to the stage. Once the song ended, Katy picked up the microphone.

"ARE WE HAVING A GOOD TIME?!" she screamed. The crowd screamed right back.

"I have the pleasure of announcing this year's Junior Prom Prince and Princess."

I glanced to the left side of the stage. Our foreign exchange student from Brazil, Paulo, was with the Junior Class Vice President.

This wasn't boding well for Garrett.

"After tallying all the votes, it's unanimous. This year's Junior Prom Prince is Paulo Vega and Prom Princess is our very own Brooke Carter!"

Everyone cheered. Katy grabbed the tiara and put it on top of my other one. I reached up to steady it and laughed.

"Would you two please go to the center of the floor for the royal dance?"

I glanced over at Paulo. He was in my English class and was seriously doing better in it than I was. He took my hand and we walked to the center of the floor.

"Eh, how do they say it...Congrats?" he asked as we danced. I nodded.

"Yup, congrats. You too."

"Prom is amazing."

"It is pretty fun. Who's your date?"

He smiled. "No date. Just dancing with all the pretty girls."

I laughed. We small talked our way through the rest of the dance. I was ready to go find Garrett, when I heard Katy call my name again.

"Brooke, can you come up one more time?"

I held onto the tiara and walked back up. Katy was smiling brightly.

"The Junior AND Senior classes were wondering if you would do the honor of seeing Stuck Like Glue tonight."

I looked out at the crowd. I really hadn't wanted to perform. It was my prom. But everyone had just voted for me...

"Sure," I said with a smile. Katy clapped and handed me the microphone. I had her hold the extra tiara.

It's funny, but onstage I tend to adopt an alternate persona. I was more sexual, more flirty when I went onstage. The first time dad saw me perform live, he shook his head and said that was one genetic factor he had hoped he hadn't passed down.

By the time I was done I was feeling that amazing rush I always got performing in front of the crowd. I took my tiara back, blew a kiss, and headed out into the crowd.

With so many people stopping me, I figured I would never get back to Garrett. I wanted at least one more dance before we left...

"BROOKE!"

Kay came out of nowhere. "We need to talk."

I was still all smiles from the performance. "About what?"

Her forehead was creased and her cheeks were flaming red. "Garrett."

I frowned. "What about him?"

"I went to the bathroom and he was waiting for me when I came out. He tried to feel me up."

I stared at her in disbelief. "What? No way."

"I'm serious!"

I leaned towards her. She had downed way more punch than I had tonight. I took a big whiff. She reeked of alcohol.

"Kay did you spike your punch?"

She waved it off. "I did, but that's not important. What's important is Garrett's a ja--"

"Kay, I don't care what you do with anyone else, but leave Garrett alone," I said angrily. Her eyes widened.

"What? No! I would never--"

I brushed past her. It was bad enough that my best friend was, for lack of a better word, a slut, but for her to try something with my boyfriend?

I found Garrett by the punch table. His eyes widened.

"Brooke I--"

"Did you feel Kay up?" I asked.

"What? No! She came on to me. I think she's drunk," Garrett said. He looked around. "Listen, I don't know about you but I'm ready to get out of here. Prom isn't living up to expectations."

I touched my tiara and sighed. It had been living up to expectations.

"Do you want to take off?" Garrett asked.

The ingrained 'best friend' part of me told me I should tell Kay. The 'my best friend tried to move in on my boyfriend' part of me told me to just forget it. I nodded.

"Let's go."

--------------------------------

"Where are we?"

I was fast rethinking the 'Let's go' part of my plan. I had assumed we were going for ice cream or something.

We weren't anywhere near an ice cream shop. I knew that we weren't near any type of swamp, but we were somewhere in a very large park I had never been to before.

"I just wanted some quiet. All that music and drama..."

"Don't parks having closing times?" I asked.

"They do. But no one cares. All the cops are probably headed out towards town to pull over as many prom-goers as possible."

I was still looking out the window when I felt his breath on my neck.

"I can't believe you got Prom Princess and I didn't get Prom Prince. That doesn't seem fair does it?"

I turned to look at him, but between the giant car I was sitting in, the tinted windows, and the darkness all around us, his face was masked in shadow.

"Paulo's pretty popular. It's all in fun."

"Your song was fun."

I smiled. "Thank you."

His hand came out of nowhere and gripped my shoulder.

"I love the way your body wiggles up there when you sing."

My heart froze. The long buried feeling of pure fear came out of nowhere. It was his voice. My defense mechanisms were telling me this wasn't just playful banter. My hand slid towards the door.

I heard the automatic locks click into place. Before I could begin to feel for a way to manually unlock the door, Garrett's arms were around my waist. Between the silky material of the dress and the slippery leather seats, I couldn't keep control. I slipped down. Garrett was all over me.

"I always knew you were pretty," Garrett said softly. "But then you showed up in all those magazines and partying with all those celebrities and I thought to myself - gee, why couldn't I get a piece of that pie?"

"Those magazines have it wrong," I gasped. My arm reached up to the door but I felt his hand around my wrist. In seconds, he somehow wrestled and pinned me down.

"I'm tired of you playing games with me Brooke. I didn't think it would be this hard. And then your friend wouldn't even give me a blow job. I don't like to be frustrated Brooke."

I tried to yank my hands out of his grasp, but he was strong. Stronger than I had given him credit for. His weight pressed down on me. I opened my mouth to scream but he inhaled the scream into his mouth as his lips pressed down on me unrelentlessly.

After the kidnapping and after I had completed therapy, dad had enrolled the entire family in self defense class. At age eight, I was more interested in the cool outfit, but my brain searched for any of that information I could remember.

But it was hard to think. I felt oe of the thin straps of my dress being yanked hard. It snapped; Garrett's hand pressed against my bare breast.

I turned my head violently to break his lips from mine. When I did, I let out a scream.

I didn't expect to be slapped.

"Who's going to hear you Brooke?" he mocked. His right hand was clawing at my dress. Pawing and pinching me. I felt him harden. He let go of my hands. I heard the sound of a zipper being yanked down.

I knew I didn't have much time. I reached out and jabbed with my nails in the general direction of his eyes. I hit soft squishiness and knew I had a direct hit. He screamed.

I didn't waste any time. His dead weight came off me as he sat back. I used the opportunity to free one of my legs. I kicked him in the crotch.

He fell back against the driver's side door. I flipped around and smacked at the passenger side door. Finally my fingers wrapped against a round silver object that I knew had to be the lock. I lifted it up, grabbed my purse and stumbled out of the car.

I ran blindly out into the night, my dress a shambles, and my heart racing faster than it ever had in my entire life.

Except for one time. With my updo, it almost felt like I had just had my hair hacked off and my sides kicked all over again.

And this time grandpa and dad weren't here to rescue me.
Chapter 23 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Twenty Three

I ran across the empty grass expanse of nothingness. I wasn't sure if I was really screaming or not, but my screams were exploding in my head. Panic had overtaken every other emotion in my body.

From a distance, I heard a car door slam.

"BROOKE!"

Garrett.

I had no idea what direction I was heading. I stopped. There were no street lights or lamps or anything. I was in the middle of nowhere.

The sound of footsteps behind me propelled me forward. I made out the distinct shape of a jagged building ahead. Grass gave way to gravel that stuck painfully in the bottoms of my feet, slowing me down.

I might have been in good shape from dancing on stage for two hours every night, but Garrett had strength and speed training from the basketball court. My kick hadn't slowed him down enough. His hands gripped the back of my dress and I fell painfully down on the rocks. Raw burning pain shot through my knees.

"Where you going?" he taunted. I tried to reach back and hit him, but he grabbed my arm and twisted it painfully at the elbow.

"You play dirty," he hissed. "I like that."

Even as I twisted and turned, he managed to roll me over onto my back. Tears burned my eyes.

I heard the sound of fabric ripping. The hand that I had thought was so warm when it held mine was forcefully sliding up my leg, yanking the dress up. I suddenly hated being a girl. I lost the fight in my body. I was tired. I was cut.

I was alone.

Garrett was going to win.

"Get the fuck off her."

I didn't recognize the voice at first. What I did recognize was Garrett's body being tackled off of me and my fight-or-flight instinct come back.

I chose 'flight.'

Of course, I didn't know where I was flying. I sprinted the distance to the building I had seen. It was just a piece of play equipment. I ran past it. I wasn't going to trap myself up in a tiny little room.

I hated tiny little rooms.

After a minute my feet left the gravel and returned to grass. After another second I felt the crunch of sticks and the gritty feel of dirt. I looked up. I was surrounded by trees.

I had seen enough horror movies to know that getting lost amongst the trees wasn't good. But nothing about this night was good. I backed myself against the tree and rooted through my bag. Somewhere in the scuffle I had lost my cell phone.

My fingers flew around the contents of my bag. This was why girls took their time to organize instead of dump everything. They could find something when they needed it. I couldn't find anything. I let out a soft whimper of frustration until finally my fingers felt metal.

My key ring.

I yanked my keys out of my purse and fumbled with the set. I finally found my small light. I pressed the sides and it turned on. It was just a narrow little beam, but it worked.

I unhooked the light and held it out in front of me. I rooted around my key ring again until I found a small little cylinder.

All of us Carter girls carried mace at all times. Had I been thinking, I would have used it on Garrett after I had hit his gonads.

But I hadn't been thinking.

I heard footsteps. My hand shook but I refused to let the light turn off. I held the spray out in front of me.

"Brooke?"

There was the familiar voice again, but this time it wasn't filled with rage. It was cautious...questioning.

"Brooke?"

A branch moved nearby. A blonde shaggy head appeared.

Trevor.

From the weak beam, he met my gaze.

"He's gone."

Trevor was holding his sleeve up to his nose. I could see the blood.

I suddenly realized that I was practically half naked. I dropped the mace, kept the beam of light trained on him, and wrapped my arm around the top of my dress.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

I didn't know how to respond. I didn't know if I could respond.

I hiccuped instead.

He held out a hand.

"C'mon, I'll take you home."

I stared at his hand warily.

"It's okay. Just follow me."

I heard a crunch. He was leaving. I didn't want to be left alone in the woods. I caught a flash of his shirt and started to follow.

We went past the playground. Trevor's car was parked not far from it. He opened the door. The light from the interior reflected his face.

"Your nose," I finally managed to say.

"It's nothing," he said.

I got into the car. My dress was in shreds. I wrapped my arms around myself and shivered. I heard the trunk open and shut. The driver's door opened and something soft and fuzzy brushed my arm.

"Here, put this on."

It was a light gray hoodie. I took it and slipped it over my head.

Trevor didn't say anything else. He started the car.

"Where do you live?"

I gave him my address. He looked over at me.

"Nice neighborhood," he commented. "We just moved not far from there."

I brushed the sleeve against my face. A dark line of mascara ran onto the fabric.

"Why were you out here?" I whispered. As he drove, the confirmation that Garrett had taken me to the wrong side of Tampa was apparent.

"I used to live over here," he said lightly.

"In the park?"

He cracked a smile. A thick line of blood dripped close to his mouth and he wiped it away.

"No, but pretty close."

"Why were you there tonight?"

He glanced over at me.

"I used to go to the park when my parents started fighting," he said. He sounded so nasally. "I guess old habits die hard."

"Your parents fight?"

"That's putting it mildly. I was hoping my money would help, but..." he trailed off and shrugged.

I knew I probably should have been crying my eyes out, but everything hadn't sunk in yet.

"What happened to your nose?"

That produced a little smile. "I wasn't thinking and thought head-butting that pond scum would be effective. It was, but I think I broke my nose."

"No."

"It's alright. Noses can be fixed." His eyes slid over to me. "Are you okay?" he asked again. I took a deep breath.

"I think so. Thanks to you."

He shook his head.

"Any guy would have done the same thing."

As he pulled up to the house, I studied his bloody profile.

I highly doubted many guys would have done the same thing.

He had saved my life.
Chapter 24 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Twenty Four

The moment that Trevor pulled up to the house, the door flew open. Mom and Kay ran down the stairs. Trevor got out and quickly opened my door.

Mom reached the car in no time flat.

"Brooke, are you okay?"

I had held back the tears on the ride home, but seeing mom broke me down. I started to bawl. Her arms went around me.

"Let's get you inside. We can talk in there. Shhhh. Shhh," mom comforted.

Even though she was blurry, I saw the horror on Kay's face. "Oh my god Brooke. Your dress."

"Kay," I blubbered. I couldn't speak; I couldn't tell her how stupid I was for not listening to her.

"It's okay," mom said. "Breathe honey." She twisted around and pointed at Trevor.

"I'd like you to come in too."

I stumbled my way inside. Tears and snot ran down my face.

Where was the damn paparazzi now?

"Where's dad?" I managed to ask. I hiccuped as I sat down on the couch.

"Your dad and Noah went out to find you," mom said.

Peyton swung out of the kitchen and stopped in her tracks.
"What happened?" she asked.

"Pey, go entertain Landon," mom said. She knelt down beside me.

"I called your dad as soon as I realized you were gone," Kay added. She hovered near me nervously. "I should have stopped you."

I shook my head.

"I should have listened to you," I said as I choked on a sob. "I'm so sorry for what I --"

"I gave you every reason to say what you said," Kay interrupted She sat beside me and hugged me tightly. "But for the record, I'd never do that to you. BFFs come before any boy."

I leaned into her. No one had a better best friend than I did. When all of my first round tears had faded, I glanced towards the door. Trevor was still hovering uncertaintly.

"You saved me," I said quietly. He shook his head. His nose was still bleeding badly. Mom noticed it.

"Kay, go get ---" mom hesitated. She had no idea who he was. The blood was making him look unrecognizable.

"Trevor," I said. Mom looked at me in surprise. Then she looked up at Kay.

"Go get Trevor an ice pack. Trevor, why don't you sit down?"

Trevor came over and sat down in dad's chair.

Mom picked at the torn fabric around my knee.

"Oh honey, you've got gravel in your knee," mom said. "I'm going to go get the first aid kit and call your dad. He's frantic." She stood up and headed towards the bathroom.

Kay came back with an ice pack. "Here you go," she said.

"Thank you," Trevor said. He pressed it against his face and winced.

"What happened to Donnie?" I asked with a sniffle.

"I hit him in the stomach when he wouldn't tell me where Garrett took you," Kay said. She sat back down beside me.

"Did he rape you?" she asked quietly. I shook my head no. Her arms went back around me.

"Your dad and Noah are on their way home," mom said as she came back into the room. She knelt down on the floor and opened the first aid kit. She worked quietly with the tweezers, pulling the stones out. I sucked air through my clenched teeth.

Dad burst into just as I started to scream. Mom had aimed the can of disinfectant right into my knee.

"BROOKE!"

Noah was right on dad's heels. They both skidded to a stop in the living room.

"What the hell happened to you?"

Time seemed to fly in reverse. I was lying on a wretched mattress practically drowning in my own sweat. Dad's face hovered above mine and all I could do was whisper...

"Daddy." The second wave of crying hit.

It was around this time that Nick saw Trevor.

"What the hell did you do to my daughter?" he snapped. I held out my hand.

"No."

It took me a good five minutes before I could talk, but I didn't want dad to go balistic on Trevor. He didn't deserve it. Garrett did.

"Trevor rescued me."

Trevor looked embarassed...or maybe it was just all the blood.

"Rescued you?" Dad said. He looked around. "Where's Garrett?"

"He locked me in his car and...he...he...tried to rape me," I said weakly. "I knee'd him, but he caught up with me when I took off..."

The third round of tears took over.

"He had her pinned down in a park on the other side of town," Trevor continued. "I tackled him and then rammed my head into his forehead. I split it open pretty well, but I got my nose in the process."

"We better call your parents," mom said. Kay was hugging me tightly and mom was squeezing my hand. Trevor shook his head.

"No, don't worry about it. I should g--"

"Where is he?" Noah asked. "Where's Garrett?" His tone of voice made me shiver. It was too calm and low.

"I don't know. He took off and I got Brooke and brought her home," Trevor said.

"Well, I'm going to track that motherfucker down. So help me god I will take up hunting. His head will be up on the goddamn wall by the time--"

"Nick, he's a teen."

"I know where he lives," Noah offered. They looked at each other.

"I should be going," Trevor said. I started to shake my head no, but in the commotion that dad and Noah began to raise, he managed to sneak out.

Mom tried to stop dad, but it was no use. Noah and dad left and all of a sudden it was just mom, Kay, and me.

"Brooke, let's get you out of all this. You should take a bath."

Kay helped me up and we all went up the stairs to mom and dad's master bath. Mom knelt down and started the water. Kay helped me with Trevor's hoodie. When she saw my top she gasped.

"Jesus Christ," she said. Mom turned and gasped.

I looked down. My chest was bruised badly.

I didn't have any more tears left.

"I shouldn't say it but I hope your dad does find him," mom said. Her voice was shaking. She was trying, but failing, to control the emotions that were bubbling forth. "Because if he doesn't, I will."

Kay helped me step into the water. Mom took my clothes and headed down the hall. Kay turned to leave, but I grabbed her wrist.

"I love you, Kay."

She smiled.

"I love you too, Brooke." She paused and knelt back down.

"I've had the same thing happen to me," she whispered. My eyes widened in surprise. "I'm just glad you had someone to save you."

Before I could ask her anything else, she stood up and left.

I sank into the water and closed my eyes. I kept replaying Kay's words -

Someone to save you. Someone to save you...

I couldn't begin to sort out the emotions involved with that.

I was too busy worrying. I worried about Trevor's nose. I worried that we were going to have to bail dad and Noah out of jail.

And I worried about having to show my face again at school.

Because, after all, what would happen when it came down to my word against Garrett's? And how many kids would be able to separate the real me from the sex-crazed girl the media had created?

The answer, I feared, was no one.
Chapter 25 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Twenty Five

-- Nick --

"Take a right. It's the third house on the left."

I swung a hard right. Noah was leaning in close to the windshield.

When Kayleigh had called to tell me that she couldn't find Brooke, it was like time had spun backwards. All I could picture was my little pigtailed little girl. Gone.

I hadn't wasted any time in going out to look. Noah insisted he come along. He wasn't the little boy curled up on the couch crying anymore.

My little Noah was becoming a man.

I glanced over at him as we pulled up to Garrett's house. My jaw was tense; his was identically set.

We got out and slammed our car doors. I felt like an idiot. I was almost beginning to like Garrett.

How could I have been such an idiot?

My relief when Liv had called to say Brooke had made it home had disappeared when I saw her. The ripped dressed, the streams of mascara, bruises and cuts...

I was going to make Garrett wish he was never born.

Noah beat me to the door. He knocked loudly.

"Let me do the talking," I said. He just grunted.

A tall guy with glasses opened the door.

"Can I help you?"

"Are you Garrett's father?" I asked.

"Where the hell is he?" Noah barked.

"Noah!"

The guy looked at me.

"My son's at prom. Who the hell are you?"

"I'm Nick Carter. Your son took my daughter Brooke to prom. He tried to rape her," I said bitterly.

The guy's mouth curved into a smile.

"That's ridiculous I--"

"It's not ridiculous. My daughter has the marks to prove it. Now where is he?"

"I don't know what stories your daughter is telling but my son--"

Somehow my hand became a fist. That fist sailed directly into the guy's nose. He crumpled down.

"We're done here," I said. Noah looked impressed. He nodded and followed me back to the car.

I drove past the prom venue. Prom was over. The parking lot was nearly deserted.

"Any ideas?" I asked Noah.

"There was talk about a hotel party. But if Trevor split the asshole's forehead as good as he thought he did..."

"Well, let's check. Which hotel?"

Noah gave me the name of the hotel. I plugged it into the GPS.

We both saw his car at the same time. I slowed to a crawl. Noah hopped out of the car.

"Go park," he said.

I usually didn't let my kids tell me what to do, but this was different. I drove around the block trying to find a parking space. I finally found a little nook unoccupied and parked.

By the time I made my way back to Noah, he was standing a distance away from Garrett's car.

Every single tire was slashed.

"Whoops," Noah said with a tense grin.

"He won't be going anywhere," I said. I slapped his back. We turned towards the hotel.

"I probably should go in alone," Noah said.

"Why?"

"Because you scream 'parent,'" Noah reasoned. I stopped.

There was a time not so long ago when a party wasn't a party unless I was there. And now I was just the parent.

But, I had to admit, my son had a point.

"Get him out here."

Noah nodded and disappeared into the building.

---------------------

-- Noah --

As I entered the hotel, I blinked rapidly. I was tense.

I had just gotten home when dad got the phone call from Kay. In a span of a few moments I went from a fifteen year old guy back to a scared, guilty six year old.

Chasing down Garrett was my chance to make up for letting Brooke down all those years ago.

Dad had told me to get Garrett outside, but I wasn't sure that he would make it that far. No one messed with my family.

I half-hoped that I would find not only Garrett, but also Donnie. He had messed with Kay...

As far as I was concerned, Kay was mine to protect too. I mean, sure she never gave me the time of day, but I loved her. She was the most beautiful girl on the planet. It frustrated me to no end how stupidly I acted when I was around her...

I shook my head. I was getting distracted like I always did when I thought about her. I made my way to the elevator. The first two floors were quiet. Once I reached the third floor, I knew I had found the party.

There were people everywhere. Some people were still in prom dresses but others were dancing in the halls in PJ's.

"Hey Noah!"

I stopped. Jackson Peppers waved me over.

"I didn't see you at prom tonight. Who'd you go with?"

"I didn't go. Just checking out the party."

Jackson held up a cup. "Right on."

"Hey, have you seen Garrett?"

A look came over Jackson's face. "Dude."

"What?"

Jackson looked around. When he spoke his voice was low. "Brooke was freakin' riding him hard and some jealous ex-boyfriend of hers caught them. He got his head split open pretty bad."

I snapped. I flung the cup out of Jackson's hand. My hands gripped his shirt and I slammed him against the wall. Everyone scattered.

"First of all, I don't know what Garrett's telling all of you dumbasses, but he tried to fuckin' rape my sister. Secondly, if you don't tell me where the hell that piece of shit is, I'm going to have to take my revenge out on you."

"Woah, take it easy," Jackson said. His eyes scanned the crowd.

"Dude, Noah, can I get a piece of your sister's ass too?"

I turned around. The comment had come from one of the guys on the basketball team. Jackson straightened up but I whirled around and slammed my fist into the side of his face. Then I jumped into the crowd.

I had gotten a high level of irrationality from my dad.

It was coming out full force tonight.

-------------------------------

-- Nick --

After twenty minutes I began to get worried. I knew by the cars in the parking lot that the place was packed, but I was hoping that we could get this done. I wanted to go back home and tell Brooke it was all going to be okay.

I was just about ready to call home, when the front doors opened. Garrett came out. Noah wasn't around. He walked right past me towards his car. I followed.

"Aw shit," he muttered when he saw his tires. He knelt down to look at them. I kicked him from behind.

He sprawled out on the pavement, hitting it hard. I straddled him and flipped him over.

He must have gone to the hospital. His forehead was clearly stitched and bandaged. I smelled alcohol on his breath. His eyes widened when he saw my face.

"Have a nice night Garrett?" I asked coldly. He opened his mouth but I smacked him hard. He coughed.

"You and me have a little problem," I said. "See, you hurt my little girl. No one hurts my little girl."

"You're nuts," he gasped. I kicked him in the side. He curled up in the fetal position.

"You haven't seen nuts," I said. "You tried to violate my daughter you piece of shit."

I squatted next to him.

"I'm going to kill you," I whispered.

I grabbed him and forced him up against the car. He spit out a wad of blood right towards my face. I ducked. He took the opportunity to slam his fist in my eye.

If I had been thinking about any mercy before, it was gone. Searing pain shot through my eye. I shoved him against the door and rammed my knee into his nuts.

A blood-curdling scream rent the air.

"Do I kick harder than my little girl?" I asked. I kicked him again. And again.

"Dad, let's go," Noah gasped.

I hadn't even heard him come up. I turned. His lip was bloody and swelling rapidly. I heard sirens in the distance.

"I caused a little trouble," Noah said. I glanced down at Garrett. He was vomiting on the pavement.

"This isn't over," I told him. Noah got a kick in and then we took off towards the car.

"I think we're in trouble," Noah said. He wiped his mouth on his sleeve. I unarmed the car and we slid in.

"It won't be the first time for me," I said. "Welcome to your rite of passage son."

We looked at each other and high fived.
Chapter 26 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Twenty Six

-- Brooke --

"Mom, no."

"Honey, I have to do this."

I closed my eyes.

Just hours ago mom had taken gobs of pictures of me and Garrett. The 'happy' prom couple.

Now she was taking pictures of all my cuts and bruises.

After my bath, I walked back to my room and overheard mom on the phone talking to grandpa.

When in doubt, call the ex-FBI agent.

"What are you going to do with them?" I asked. I felt Kay squeeze my hand.

"We need to go to the police."

"Dad will take care of everything," I said. Mom sighed. She had calmed down a little bit since her initial vows of castration and killing.

"I'm worried about that," she said. She set the camera down.

"Go get dressed, honey."

Kay followed me back to my room. I put on a t-shirt and a pair of jogging pants. My whole body ached.

"Do you need anything?" Kay asked gently. I shook my head and looked at her. I had thought I knew everything about her. I mean, after all, she was my best friend. I thought back to what she had told me when I had settled into the tub.

"Kay, about earlier..."

She held up a hand. "I don't want to talk about it."

"But--"

"I was stupid. You're smarter than I am."

I shook my head. "No, I--"

"Brooke, please."

Her tone was pleading. After being such a bitch to her earlier, I didn't want to upset her. I stared down at my scraped knuckles.

I heard the phone ring downstairs. A couple minutes later, I heard mom's footsteps on the stairs. The moment she appeared in the doorway, I knew something was wrong.

"What happened?"

"We need to go to the police station," mom said. She had her camera slung around her shoulder.

"Dad?"

Mom nodded. "And Noah."

I groaned.

"Do you need me to stay here?" Kay asked.

"No, you'll need to come and put in a statement," mom said.

"What about Peyton and Landon?"

"Grandma's coming. Once she gets here, we're going."

Grandma made it to the house in about ten minutes. I was sitting with Kay on the couch. The TV was on, but we weren't watching it. Grandma headed right towards me and lifted my chin with her fingers.

"Oh, baby girl..."

Grandpa stood behind her. His face was tense. I had never seen him cry, but I remembered that face. It reminded me of a mask.

"Honey, I know it's going to be hard for you to do, but you need to tell the police everything that happened," he said. "Can you do that for me?"

I nodded. Peyton headed down the stairs with Landon.

"GAMMY!" Landon squealed. He ran to her.

"We'll be back as soon as we can," mom said. Grandpa nodded.

As we left, I caught Peyton's eye. Landon was oblivious to everything, but Peyton wasn't. I knew she was annoyed that she was being left in the dark.

At the moment I would have loved to have been in her place rather than mine.

------------------------

The three of us rode to the station in silence. I had never been to the police station. It was grittier and dirtier than I had imagine.

Mom, Kay, and I walked to the front desk. Mom spoke quietly with the clerk and we were told to sit.

Time dragged by. It was a good half hour before a door opened behind the front desk.

"Olivia Carter?"

Mom stood up. "That's me."

The officer looked at her and then at us.

"This is my daughter Brooke and her friend Kayleigh."

"Alright. Come on back."

We followed the officer back to a room. Once again we were told to sit. Kay and I took seats but mom walked out into the hall with the officer. I saw mom's hands move like butterflies. She always 'talked' with her hands when she was nervous or excited.

After a few more minutes, mom came back into the room.

"Where's dad and Noah?" I asked.

"They're sitting in a cell cooling off," mom said. Kay's eyes widened.

"They put Noah in jail?"

Mom nodded. "I guess he tracked Garrett to a hotel party. He got into a fight with half the guys there and caused a couple thousand dollars in property damage. Oh, and he slit the tires on Garret's car."

My mouth dropped open. My brother? Little NoNo?

"And your father stopped by to see Garrett's father and broke his jaw. Then he attacked Garrett outside the hotel."

"Damn," Kay whispered. I thought she sounded impressed.

"They're in trouble aren't they?" I asked.

"Oh yeah."

At that moment the door opened and a female officer came in.

"Brooke?"

I looked up.

"Yes?"

The officer smiled.

"I'm Officer Danzinger. I was wondering if I could talk to you alone for a few minutes?"

I glanced at mom. She nodded.

"O-okay."

I followed her out of the room into another room.

"Can I get you anything? Soda? Coffee?"

I shook my head. "No, thank you."

I took a seat. She sat across from me.

"I heard you had a rough night."

I swallowed hard. "Yes."

"Can you tell me about it?"

I thought back to all the therapy sessions I had when I was younger. It had taken me several months before I could really begin to examine and work throug everything. I licked my lips nervously.

I was older now. I knew I couldn't hide the truth in a false reality or silence. After all, my dad and brother were sitting in jail for me. I owed them.

My voice shook as I began to replay the events of the evening. The officer recorded my entire statement. Several times I had to stop because it just became too much. The tears came fresh and I batted them away. When I was done, I slumped against the seat.

"I hate to ask you this, but can I see your bruises?"

I glanced towards the door.

"No one can see in," she promised.

I lifted my shirt. My chest had gotten the most of it from Garrett's heavy hands. The officer took a couple pictures of my chest and then of my knees.

"My mom took pictures too," I said.

The officer put a gently hand on my back.

"We'll get those too," she promised. "You can go back to your mom now."

I headed back across the hall. The officer took Kay out next.

Once Kay was done, we were left in the room. I was tired, but I couldn't sleep. Mom left several times only to come back with no news. Finally, I couldn't take it anymore.

"I'm going to get a soda," I said.

"I'll go with you," Kay said.

We walked out into the hall. Kay handed me a couple dollars and I punched in our selections.

The door to the questioning room opened. Trevor stepped out. I looked at him in surprise.

"Trevor."

"Hey Brooke."

He had a large white bandage across his nose.

"Are you okay?"

"Broke my nose. It'll be fine. You?"

"Some bruises," I said shyly.

"I--"

"Trevor."

The voice was sharp. I turned. A tall, beefy guy with dirty blonde hair was standing not far from me.

"Can he go?" the guy asked Officer Danzinger. She nodded.

"Take care Brooke," Trevor said as he passed me.

"You too," I said quietly.

The guy who I assumed was his dad hit Trevor's shoulder hard as he walked up to him. They headed towards the doors.

"Nice guy," Kay said sarcastically.

I thought back to what Trevor said about his parents fighting. I frowned.

"Girls?"

Mom came out of the room.

"Officer Danielson said there's nothing we can do about dad and Noah tonight. They're going to have to stay the night. They're not even up to their bail meeting for another few hours. I'm going to take you home."

"But--" I started to say. Mom shook her head.

"Honey, we can't do anything."

We walked out of the station. I looked around. I was on edge. Even though I couldn't see them, I sensed paparazzi nearby. Tears burned at my eyes.

I felt horrible. Noah had his first mugshot because of me. I knew dad already had one from ages ago, but now I had added to his record too.

And then there was Trevor.

His dad didn't look happy about having to come down to the police station. I didn't want Trevor to get on his badside. I grabbed at my seatbelt.

I wished there were redo's in life like there were in all the videogames we played.

Because tonight, I needed one badly.

--------------------------------------

A Note from the Author: For anyone that is also reading Only in My Dreams - this story has been updated, but it is not appearing on the Most Recent page. I know since some of you have been bombarded with e-mails that e-mail notification is STILL working. :)
Chapter 27 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Twenty Seven

-- Liv --

I've had many long nights in my life, but never was there a longer one than this. The thought of Nick and Noah behind bars made my stomach twist and turn. I paced the house and stared out into the backyard. Night creatures sang a mournful song as the minutes slowly faded to hours.

Brooke and Kay had vowed that they wouldn't be able to get to sleep, but they finally drifted off on the floor of Brooke's room around three in the morning. My poor little baby girl suddenly seemed much smaller than the woman she was becoming.

I hated that a night that was supposed to have been so special for my daughter had turned out so horribly wrong. The thought of her bruises brought fresh tears to my eyes. I almost wished for those days when she was a baby, screaming her lungs out. I had never thought those days would end.

But they had. Time had gone so fast. So many happy years with Nick...

Nick.

"Liv, get some sleep," mom said. I glanced at the clock. It was five a.m. Nick and Noah had spent an entire night in jail.

"I'm going to head back to the station," I said.

"Do you want something to eat or--"

I shook my head. "Just watch the kids. I'll be back as soon as possible."

"Mike's already down there," mom said.

"He left?"

Mom smiled. "He snuck out when you weren't looking."

I felt a rush of affection for my step-dad. Even though he was in his late seventies, he moved like a man half his age.

I grabbed my keys and headed out to my car. Noah teased me endlessly about driving a 'soccer mom' car, but with four kids it was the only thing practical.

The radio kept me company on the way to the station. The parking lot was much emptier than it had been last night.

I guess criminals aren't morning people.

I walked in and checked in at the front desk. Minutes ticked by. I was about ready to go up and bother the clerk again when Mike came out of a side door. Nick and Noah were right behind him.

The sight of their tired faces made my heart ache. I ran over and threw my arms around Noah. He hugged me tightly.

"What were you thinking?" I chastised.

"It was nothing," Noah said lightly. I pulled back. He was dirty and sweaty. I glanced over at Nick.

Identical trouble makers. He gave me a crooked smile. I wanted to punch him. Then I wanted to hug him.

"So how much trouble are you in for all this 'nothing'?" I asked.

All four of us headed outside. Noah took a deep breath as if he hadn't smelled real air for years.

"Let's just say that I better start recording and touring with the guys soon. We had to post a pretty hefty bail," Nick said.

"We have a hearing in a few weeks," Noah added.

I groaned.

"How's Brooke?" Nick asked.

"She's tired, scared, emotional...as good as can be expected."

"They brought Garrett in just as we were being released," Noah said. His voice was chilly.

"They did?"

"Yeah. Dad beat the shit out of him. I think he's talking a little bit higher too."

Noah started to squeak like Mickey Mouse. He glanced over at Nick; they grinned. I stared at them.

"You are not seriously proud of yourselves."

Nick looked at me in surprise. His eyes drifted past my shoulder. I turned.

Mike was standing behind me vigorously shaking his head.

"Don't help them," I said.

He held up his hands.

"Where's my car?" Nick asked.

"I had a buddy of mine take it back to your place," Mike said. "You were about ten seconds away from being towed."

"Thanks," Nick said gratefully.

Mike followed us in his car back to the house. On the way there, I glanced over at Nick. I reached out and took his hand. He squeezed it.

"Don't worry," he assured me. "I'll have to pay for the damages and some medical bills. I'll probably have to do some community service, but I won't be doing hard time."

"And I'm still a minor," Noah said. He paused. "Maybe I'll have to go to juvie."

He made it sound like a reward. I regretted the day my son's testosterone ever kicked in.

The house was filled with smells of cinnamon rolls. Peyton, Brooke, Kay, and Landon were grouped around our large dining room table. Brooke scrambled out of her seat and ran right to Nick.

"Are you okay?" she asked. Nick kissed the top of her head.

"I'm fine. We're both fine."

Brooke turned to hug Noah.

"NoNo, you're the best brother in the whole world."

Noah turned bright red.

"Well, y'know..."

"Kay's mom and dad called," my mom said from the kitchen. "They're flying down here today."

In the whole mess of things last night, I had completely forgotten about Brian and Leigh. I saw Kay slump down in her chair.

"Alright, I'll give them a call and see if they need picked up," I said. I headed towards the kitchen for some orange juice. As I poured a glass, I glanced out at my offspring.

Noah walked over to the table and grabbed a cinnamon roll. He stuffed it in his mouth.

"How was jail?" Kay asked. Noah chewed vigorously and swallowed.

"It wasn't so bad," he said. He puffed out his chest.

"Did you get the bad guys?" Landon asked Nick. Nick ruffled his hair.

"Sure did."

"COOL!"

Peyton was hunched over the table picking at her cinnamon roll. She stabbed a finger in the middle.

"Pey?"

She turned around.

"Yeah?"

"Why don't your bring your breakfast upstairs? I want to talk to you."

She glanced around and then picked up her plate. She followed me upstairs.

I had never seen two girls more different than Peyton and Brooke. Brooke had started off life as a little tomboy. I thought back to all the dirty stuffed animals and that poor little baby doll...

But she had grown up to become the girly girl.

Peyton was the exact opposite. She had started life as a girly girl. She had begged me for bows and ribbons and barrettes. Then about two years ago, she had become a tomboy. She swapped her dresses for jeans and t-shirts. She would rather be out on the boat than painting her nails.

And I loved it.

"I bet you're wondering what's going on," I asked as we walked into the master bedroom.

"Well, I'm not three years old," she pointed out. "I know something bad happened."

"It did."

We sat down and I told her the truth. In just a few years she was going to be sixteen. Nick and I had decided a long time ago that we were going to be open and honest with our kids.

So far it was working for us.

"So did they arrest Garrett too?" Peyton asked when I got to the point in the story about Nick and Noah spending the night in jail.

"Not yet," I said. Her eyes narrowed.

"That's not fair. They should lock him up and throw away the key."

"I agree."

Pey licked the last of the icing off of her fingers.

"That won't happen to me," she finally said.

"It could."

She shook her head.

"No. I'm not as pretty as Brooke."

I looked at her in amazement.

"What are you talking about? Peyton, sweetheart, you're beautiful."

She stared down at the floor. Finally she looked up and gave me a crooked little grin.

"I'm also a black belt."

I laughed. "Yes you are."

I hugged her close and we headed downstairs. I had a feeling the next few weeks were going to be very stressful.

But, at the end of the day, the most important thing was that we were all together. Sure we were loud, crazy, and irrational...

But we also had a whole lotta love.

---------------------------------

Random Author Comment: I just checked Nick's Twitter and he posted a video -- Backstreet Olympics! (see BatB to realize why I'm enjoying that so much). It's a Jib-Jab video and I'm sitting here at working trying not to snort and cause attention to myself. That is all. :)
Chapter 28 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Twenty Eight

-- Brooke --

"I don't want to go."

"You need to go. You don't have any reason to hide."

It was Monday. Uncle Bri and Aunt LeighLeigh had taken Kay back home late last night. A full day of school loomed ahead of me.

The paparazzi had grabbed hold of the story and run with it. They had taken several pictures of me leaving the police station. I couldn't even believe how horrible I looked. Some of the news outlets were outraged at what happened. Others actually had the audacity to blame me. It was the 'false image' coming back to haunt me.

"I think she should take a few days off," Noah suggested. He had been suspended for the entire week. I knew it was going to kill him not to be able to play bodyguard.

"Carters don't run," mom said. She looked at me with a gentle smile. "Right?"

I looked up at her and took a deep breath.

"No, we don't."

--------------------------

I felt all eyes on me from the moment I pulled into my parking space. Kids turned to look at me as I hoisted my backpack out of the back seat.

It was an icy reception. Several members of the basketball team hovered by the front door, their arms folded. Donnie glared at me.

"Bitch," he hissed. I ignored them.

Up until lunchtime, I was pretty sure my high school life as I knew it was over. I was contemplating hiding out in the bathroom when I heard someone call my name.

Five girls were sitting at a round table in the corner. Most of them were juniors, but I didn't know their names. I walked over cautiously.

"We wanted to talk to you," one of the girls said.

I sat down and placed my tray in front of me. The girls glanced at each other.

"We heard what happened," another one of the girls said.

I grabbed my tray again. A blonde on my left touched my arm.

"I dated Garrett when you were on tour. He didn't take no for an answer."

"After Laci broke up with him I went out with him," a brunette sitting across from me said. She split a leaf of lettuce in half. "He took me out to this spot in the middle of nowhere overlooking the ocean and--" she trailed off.

The other three girls had similar stories with other members of the basketball team.

I was shocked.

"And no one went to the police?" I asked increduously.

"I was embarassed."

"I was scared. I didn't want my parents to find out."

"But if no one stands up to him, he'll keep doing this," I said.

"Well, we figured they'd do something considering you're like a celebrity and everything. And they did. We're all safe."

"Yeah, he won't be getting out anytime soon. We just wanted to let you know that you're not alone."

I didn't know what to say. I was staring at two other girls that had been hurt by Garrett and all I could think was...

Where were they to tell me all of this before?

----------------------------------

By Wednesday, Garrett was back in school. He had only spent two days in juvie and the school hadn't bothered to suspend him at all.

I saw Laci, one of the girls I had talked to Monday, in the hall.

"Did you see who's here?" I asked. She nodded.

"This isn't going to be over until more people come forward," I said.

She didn't answer me. I walked away.

----------------------------------

I managed to avoid Garrett for the next two weeks. During that time, what I can only call miracles took place.

The first good thing to happen occured when Dad and Noah went in front of the judge. Luckily, all of the press surrounding the 'Violation of an American Honey' must have swayed the judge. As dad suspected, there was a hefty fine, damages to be paid, and community service...but no jail time.

The second good thing to happen was that the girls that had pulled me aside finally decided to step forward. Their testimony combined with my photographic evidence and Trevor's eyewitness account sent Garrett back in front of the judge.

By the last week of school, rumor had it that Garrett would be spending at least a year in juvie. A call to my grandpa confirmed the information as true.

It was great to have connections.

The third good thing to happen was kind of silly compared to the first two things, but it was nevertheless important. With two days before summer vacation, I was finally going through all the junk in my purse when I came across Trevor's number.

I hadn't called him at all since I had seen him at the police station. I decided to just call and see how his nose was.

It was the least I could do. I dialed the number and waited through the ringback tone.

"Hello?"

I knew he didn't recognize the number.

"Hey Trevor. It's Brooke. Carter," I added at the last moment.

"Brooke! How are you?"

He sounded happy to hear from me. I smiled.

"I'm okay. How's your nose?"

"It's better."

I bit the inside of my cheek. That was the extent of my planned conversation.

"We finished recording our album. How about you?"

"It's been done for a few weeks," I said. "My first single drops next week."

"What's it called?"

"Chaotic," I said. He laughed.

"That's probably a good choice."

I couldn't help but laugh.

"Our duet will be my second single."

There was a pause.

"Really?"

"Yup. It's really good."

"Anything you do is good."

I blushed.

"If you want, maybe you can come over and listen to my album?"

"I'd like that."

I smiled.

"But I can't for a couple weeks. The guys and I are doing some fundraiser in California."

I was surprised to realize I was disappointed.

"Oh. Well, after you come back?"

"Sure."

"Alright. Well...have a good trip."

"Thanks Brooke. And thanks for calling."

"No problem."

We hung up and I leaned back against my bed.

I couldn't wait to be done with school for the year. The way I looked at it, there was no way that Summer could be worse than the Spring.

I wanted to release new music. I wanted to get back out on the road.

It was time to get back to life.
Chapter 29 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Twenty Nine

"Who wants more pizza?"

"I do!"

"ME!"

It was officially summer. Noah, Peyton, and I had survived the last day of school. To celebrate, dad had taken us out for pizza.

In Chicago.

We were staying at the House of Blues. Mom had flipped out when dad pulled up to the airport.

"Where are we going?"

"On a little trip," dad said breezily.

The four of us had cheered, mom just looked at dad like he was insane.

"We didn't pack!" she complained.

"We don't need to pack! It's just an overnight trip. I threw something in for everyone."

Mom groaned. Dad was the worst person to pack for a trip. My PJs consisted of a bright green t-shirt and red sports shorts. Peyton was forced to wear some old My Little Pony nightgown that she hadn't worn in two years. Noah claimed he was going commando.
And then there was Landon.

He was the only one happy, but of course it didn't take much to thrill a three and a half year old. Dad had accidentally packed his glow in the dark swim trunks instead of actual pajamas. I'm sure he thought he was going to be our human nightlight.

"Y'know," dad said as we took a cab back to the hotel. "I've played at HoB Chicago a couple times. It's a really nice venue."

"Oh yeah?"

Dad smiled. "Standing room only."

We got out at the hotel and took a quick tour of the venue. It was small but eclectic. I loved it.

"Maybe I'll have to add another Chicago date," I said.

It was going to be a busy summer. I was taking the first two weeks of June to stay close to home and shoot my video for Chaotic. The last two weeks I was going to do a press junket for the CD. Then after Kay's birthday party (and my parents anniversary), I was headed out on tour. I was mostly hitting the county and state fairs, but some HoB locations didn't sound like a bad idea.

Before we left to walk the short distance to the hotel, I was stopped by a couple people for autographs.

"We can't wait until tomorrow!" one of the girls told me. I smiled.

"Thank you."

Chaotic was hitting the radio and Internet tomorrow.

"I smell a hit," mom said. I laughed.

"We'll see."

I crawled into bed that night feeling a little like a Christmas tree but alsoinsanely happy. We had all spent the evening camped out in mom and dad's suite to watch some corny movie. I braided Peyton's hair and dad turned off all the lights and we watched Landon run around like an idiot.

Tomorrow we were sight-seeing before flying back home.

My summer was starting off perfectly.

---------------------------

The next day, we spent the afternoon checking out Navy Pier and the museums. Right before we headed to the airport, we went up the Willis (formerly Sears) Tower and walked out on the Skydeck.

Noah, Peyton, and I had been to Chicago before with mom and dad, but everything was new to Landon. He had clung to my hand excitedly as we stood on the skydeck.

"IT'S MAGIC!" he squealed as he stomped his little light-up shoes on the glass floor. He got so carried away, that he ended up stomping on some old guy's foot. That was our signal to leave.

Even though everything was fun, the best thing happened when we went to lunch after the museum. I had just taken a bite of my BLT when I heard the first chords of Chaotic start.

It didn't matter how many times I heard my songs on the radio, it always made me deliriously happy.

The plane ride back home was uneventful. Noah put on his headphones and fell asleep. Peyton was playing with some new thing mom had bought her at the Museum of Science and Industry. Landon was curled up on dad's lap fast asleep, sucking his thumb.

"I think he'll be sleeping for the next two days," dad whispered to mom. Mom ran a hand over his messy hair and smiled.

"He's just recharging," she whispered back. She leaned over and kissed dad. I smiled. A lot of times I thought they were a little mushy, but not today. I loved that they were still in love.

I was tired, but in a good way. I had signed so many autographs that my hand hurt. My legs were sore from all the walking we did. I waited until mom settled back with a magazine before I spoke.

"Hey mom?"

"What's up sweetie?"

I stretched my long legs out underneath the seat in front of me.

"I invited Trevor to come over and listen to my album. He's in California now but he said he'd come when he gets back."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. I was wondering if we could have him stay for dinner."

Mom laughed. "You think he'd survive dinner with us?"

I smiled. "I don't know. We'll just have to find out."

"Who are we talking about?"

Dad glanced over at us. I smiled.

"Trevor."

"What about him?"

"I'm going to ask him to come to dinner."

Dad looked like he was about ready to object, but he seemed to think twice. It was kind of hard to hate a guy that sacrificed his nose for your daughter.

"Well, I guess that would be okay," dad said.

"And don't start that whole hunting business," I warned.

Dad made a face.

"I will hunt anyone that messes with you," he said seriously. I reached over and squeezed his shoulder.

"I know. And that's why I love you."

"Is that the only reason?" dad teased.

"No," I said with a smile. "But it's a good one."
Chapter 30 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Thirty

“Hi Trevor. It’s Brooke. I’m not sure if you’re back yet, but call me when you are if you still want to, y’know, come over.”

I hung up. My face was red. I had sounded like an absolute idiot.

“Hey Brooke?”

I looked up. Peyton was hovering at the door.

“What’s up?”

She held up a hairbrush.

“Can you braid my hair?”

I smiled. “Sure thing.”

She sat down beside my bed and held up the brush. I loved playing with hair. I figured if the whole ‘pop star’ thing didn’t work out, I’d probably go to school to be a hairdresser.

“So what’s the occasion?” I asked.

“Nothing. I’m going surfing and I don’t want hair in my face.”

I smiled. “That’s a good reason. Who’s taking you surfing?” “Logan said I could tag along with him and Noah.”

“That sounds fun.”

“You wanna come?”

“No, you know I don’t like the ocean.”

Peyton snuggled back against my legs.

“Were you calling Trevor?”

“Yup.”

“He didn’t pick up?”

“Nope.”

“Do you only like him because he beat up Garrett?”

I had to stop and think about that. I had talked to Kay last night and she had teased me about developing a ‘hero crush.’

“I judged him without knowing him,” I said honestly. “So before I can answer your question, I at least want to learn more about him.”

“He sings good,” Peyton said.

I tugged on her hair playfully.

“Oh so my sister’s a Grenadine fan?”

Pey laughed. “Don’t tell dad.” She looked up at me. “I think Kyle is kind of cute.”

Kyle was one of the other Grenadine guys. I think dad referred to him as the AJ knock-off.

I smiled. “Your secret’s safe with m--”

My phone rang. I smiled.

“It’s Trevor,” Peyton guessed.

I held onto the last section of hair I was working with, pressed Talk, and tucked the phone under my chin.

“Hello?”

“Hey Brooke.”

“Hey.”

“I got back last night.”

I heard scuffling in the background and then a bang.

“Do you want to come over?”

“Sure. How about tonight?” he asked. He sounded hopeful. I heard what sounded like a couple little kids screaming.

“That’s fine. If you come over around four you can stay for dinner.”

“Oh, no that’s--” “I insist.”

I heard what sounded like his dad cursing.

“Okay, I’ll be there at four.” He hung up without saying goodbye. The phone slipped from my chin.

“Is he coming?” Peyton asked.

“Yup.”

I finished securing the last piece of her hair. She held up a band and I wrapped it around until I was sure her thick hair wasn’t going to budge.

“You’re all set.”

She hopped up. “Thanks!”

“Have fun!”

“I will. See you at dinner!”

I heard her sneakers hit the stairs loudly.

I picked up my phone and looked at it thoughtfully. I knew that sometimes it sounded hectic in my house when I was trying to talk, but things at Trevor’s sounded a lot worse than hectic.

------------------------------

“You look nice.”

“This old thing?” I asked. I leaned against the counter. Mom gave me a knowing smile. Landon was perched on the counter sprinkling raisins in a bowl of cake batter.

“Can you pway with me?” Landon asked.

“Sorry buddy, I’ve got a friend coming over.”

“BOOBIES!”

What?”

Mom sighed. “He heard your father say it.”

I really didn’t want to know why my dad was saying the word boobies. Luckily, I was saved from the moment by the doorbell ringing.

Trevor was standing there looking back at his car. He turned when he heard the door open. He smiled.

“Hey.”

“Hey.”

I stepped back.

“Come on in.”

Trevor followed me inside. He spotted my mom right away.

“Hi, Mrs. Carter.”

Mom smiled. “Hi Trevor. How are you?”

He hesitated. “Fine, thanks.”

“Do you like spice cake?”

“I’ve...never had it. I don’t think.”

“You’ll love it,” I said.

“BOOBIES!” Landon squealed. I blushed.

“I’ve got the album on my laptop upstairs,” I said.

Trevor followed me up the stairs. I headed into my room. For once in my life, I had actually cleaned.

“Nice room.”

“Thanks.”

He sat down on the beanbag chair in the corner. I hit play on my laptop and sat down on the floor.

We listened to the whole thing all the way through. As the very last notes faded away Trevor looked at me.

“That’s better than your first.”

I smiled. “You think so?”

“I do. Good choice on Chaotic by the way.”

“It’s catchy.”

“It’s a good summer song. We’re going with a ballad for our new single.”

Trevor wrinkled his nose. I smiled.

“I bet it’s good.”

“Eh.”

“Well what do your mom and dad say?”

Trevor smiled. He reached down and fixed the laces on his sneakers.

“They don’t say much as long as the the money’s coming in.”

I frowned. “They don’t care?”

Trevor studied me. “Brooke, if you didn’t realize from seeing my dad at the police station or from the phone call, I don’t have the same life you do.”

I slapped my flip-flop against my foot.

“Do you have any brothers and sisters?”

“Five.”

“Five?”

Trevor gave me a tense smile.

“Dad likes to make up almost as much as he likes to beat down.”

“Why doesn’t your mom leave?”

“Probably for the same reason it took so long for all those other girls to come forward about Garrett.”

I sighed. I knew what he meant.

“I’ve told myself since I was little that I was never going to be like my dad. That’s why I had to get involved when I saw you out there in the park. I’m sick of seeing women hurt.”

He spoke so frankly about everything. I studied his face.

“I’m sorry. I don’t usually talk to so much.”

I smiled. “No, it’s okay. I like to listen.”

He looked at me and grinned.

------------------------------------------------

“I want tatoes!”

“Landon, say please pass the potatoes.”

“Peas pass the tatoes!”

Trevor and I had spent a couple hours in my room just talking. I explained about the whole ‘red dress’ incident and Trevor told me a little bit about how he ended up in Grenadine. It turned out that a music scout found him on a tour of school choirs. The rest was history. His dad was his manager and he really didn’t know the other guys that well, but he figured it was just the first step towards something bigger.

I liked that attitude.

“Do you play any sports?” Peyton asked. She gave me a look. I guess she was screening for any more potential scumbag basketball players.

“No, not really. I like to watch football.”

“Who’s your team?” dad asked.

“I was born in raised here in Tampa, so it’s always been the Bucs.”

Dad’s eyes lit up. “Really?”

I could have been invisible. Dad, Noah, and Trevor started talking about the upcoming season.

By the time everyone was ready for dessert, I had to admit that the dinner had gone off much better than I had thought. Trevor seemed to ‘pass’ all the little questions everyone threw at him.

“Who’s ready for cake?”

“ME!” Landon squealed.

Mom got up and grabbed the cake off of the bar. She cut pieces and we passed them around the table.

“This is delicious!” Trevor said. Mom smiled.

“We think so.” “I call it Livvy’s Sugar and Spice cake,” dad said. “Nothing but sweet.”

Mom beamed. Landon took his plastic fork, grabbed a huge hunk and stuffed it in his mouth. I’m pretty sure he didn’t even chew. A second later his face turned red and his hands were flailing in the air.

“LANDON’S CHOKING!” Peyton yelled.

Mom was out of her chair in a split second. She hovered over him.

A second later regurgitated cake was all over Trevor’s face. Landon burst into hysterical tears. Noah farted. Peyton spilled her soda. Dad yelled at Noah. I handed Trevor a napkin.

So much for the perfect dinner.

Trevor wiped his face. His shoulders were shaking.

“This was fun,” he said happily.

I stared at him in amazement.

I knew it would take someone almost superhuman to get through a meal with my family. Trevor had not only survived, but he was laughing.

It seemed like he just might be in that elite group. And maybe, just maybe, my luck was turning around.
Chapter 31 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Thirty One

“There’s no way in hell Brooke’s wearing that.”

Mom had left dad at home so that she could oversee my wardrobe for Chaotic. We were staring at all three of the outfits. Two weren’t bad, but the third...

“Why not? It’s hot!” the wardrobe girl argued.

“Strippers wear more clothes!” Mom retorted.

Mom usually exaggerated, but this time she wasn’t kidding. The skirt was a little more than a napkin and the shirt wasn’t much better.

“It’s for the dance sequence.”

“If Brooke is hootchie-cootchie-ing all over the place she needs more clothes.”

Mom turned towards the rack and started flipping through it. She held out a pair of leggings.

"Do you like these?"

"Yeah, those look comfortable," I said.

“Can we at least keep the shirt?” the director asked. I hadn’t noticed her sneak up.

Mom exhaled noisily.

“I’ll decide after she tries it on.”

I took all three outfits into the dressing room. Mom followed. The first outfit was a light blue sundress.

“That’s cute,” mom said with a smile.

The second outfit was a cheerleader’s uniform. I had never been a cheerleader in my life, but they were obviously trying to make a connection between Brooke the student and Brooke the pop star.

“You would make a cute cheerleader,” mom said with a laugh.

“Ra, ra!” I said. I shook my invisble pom poms. We laughed.

I stripped down and put on the third outfit. Mom sighed.

Well, it’s better with the pants,” I said.

Mom did the 360-degree walk around.

“The minute I see one boob pop out, you’re wearing a turtleneck,” mom warned. I smiled.

‘Deal.”

We went back out and approved the outfits. The rest of the day was spent in choreography. By the time we left, it was almost eleven o’clock at night. I was due back on set at six in the morning. My muscles were screaming in pain.

“I need to learn some of those moves,” mom said on the way home. “I need to get rid of this bubble butt.”

I laughed. “Mom you don’t have a bubble butt.”

“I do. And that’s why you’re not getting any more brothers and sisters.”

I laughed. Mom had gained a ton of weight when she was pregnant with Landon. Almost four years later, she still hadn't been able to lose it all, but I still thought she was the most beautiful woman in the world.

Dad was waiting up for us when we got in.

“How’d it go?”

“Besides a little wardrobe argument, not too bad,” mom said.

I yawned.

“I’m going to bed,” I said. I kissed mom’s cheek and hugged dad’s neck.

“Night BooBoo.”

“Night!”

---------------------------------------------

“You’re not wearing that.”

“Mom approved it yesterday.”

Dad had decided to come with me today. By the look on his face, he wasn’t liking the top.

“Alright Brooke, let’s go!” the director called.

“I promised mom if my boob fell out we’d insist on another shirt,” I said.

“But--”

I walked onto set. We were working backwards. The chorus scenes were being shot first. The was videos were made had confused the hell out of me when I shot Stuck Like Glue, but three videos later and I was an old pro.

“On three. One, two--”

The music started. Every director I worked with told me to just lip sync, but I had to sing. I felt stupid moving my mouth like a ventriloquist dummy. My body moved to the dance steps that were now ingrained in my head. I slammed to the ground, rolled over, and stared at the camera that hovered above me.

“CUT!”

The ‘cut’ came from dad, not the director. I sat up.

“What?”

“That’s not chaotic...that’s...that’s---”

“Incredibly sexy.”

Those words came from somebody standing behind dad. Dad stepped aside and my eyes widened in surprise.

Trevor was standing there with a boyish smile on his face. He was caked in heavy makeup and his hair was perfectly styled. He was clad in jeans, shirtless and barefoot.

“What are you doing here?” I asked.

“We’re shooting next door. I’m waiting around for my shots.”

I didn’t know what to say. After all, he had just called me incredibly sexy.

“I think the outfit and the choreography need revamped,” dad said.

The thought of having to learn different steps wasn’t sitting well with me.

“Dad--”

“Honey, you just went through hell because of a false image. Why give them fuel for the fire?”

He had a point. But even still...

“TREVOR!”

I jumped. Trevor whirled around. I had only seen his dad once, but I remembered the angry face well.

“What the hell are you doing? They’re waiting for you boy. Don’t fuck this up.”

Trevor’s dad wrapped his beefy hand around Trevor’s arm. Trevor sucked in a breath.

“He was just dropping by to say hello,” dad said with a frown.

Trevor’s dad stared dad down. He pointed at him.

“You’re that...that Carter.”

Dad bristled. “I’m Nick Carter, yes.”

“Your daughter’s the one that caused all that trouble.”

“Brooke didn’t cause the trouble,” Trevor said. His dad looked down at him and smirked.

“Women always cause the trouble. Come on.”

Before anyone could say anything else, Trevor was dragged out.

“He’s pleasant, isn’t he?” dad muttered.

“Can we get back to it?” the director asked. I glanced at dad. He sighed.

“Fine.”

I got back up and ran through the routine. I must have done it twenty times before we were ready for a wardrobe change. I’m happy to report that no boobage was spilled in the meantime.

I changed into the cheerleading outfit. We broke for lunch. I walked down the hallway and peered into the set next door.

Grenadine was hard at work. All the guys were getting sprayed down with water. I hovered in the corner.

I hadn’t noticed it earlier, but Trevor looked extremely hot shirtless. He ran a hand through his hair as stagehands trained a hose on him. His jeans were soaked and hanging low on his hips.

Kyle, the one Peyton liked, was close by. He had jet black hair and looked constantly moody.

Leave it to an almost fourteen year old to like the cranky one.

“What are you doing here?”

I jumped. Trevor’s dad had spotted me.

“I wanted to see what was going on,” I said.

“We’re working.”

His attitude was beginning to piss me off. Ever since the whole incident with Garrett, I had decided to adopt Kayleigh’s attitude. No one was going to mess with me.

“Oh? What are you doing?”

“BROOKE!”

Trevor was at my side in a second. I saw Trevor’s dad make a fist. Trevor barely touched my elbow and led me out.

“Are you crazy?” Trevor asked.

“He’s an asshole,” I said.

Trevor looked around. “I know,” he whispered. “I already told you that. Don’t test him.”

“I might be butting in,” I said. “But it looks like you’d be better off without your dad managing your career.”

“Your dad manages yours,” Trevor pointed out.

“He has experience.”

Trevor sighed. “Brooke, it sounds simple, but it’s not. You’re really too sweet of a girl to understand all the crap that I’ve got going on.”

He backed away.

“Wa--”

“Bye Brooke.”

I had a feeling he was dumping me. I mean, it’s not like we had even gone out, but it was the only way I could describe how I felt.

“Trevor-”

He disappeared back onto his set. I headed back to mine. I felt crappy. I had jugone from 'incredibly sexy' to 'crap' in the course of a few hours.

I was sure it was a record.

I knew I was a person of extremes. I was either too meek like I was with Garrett or too opinionated like I had just been with Trevor.

Why couldn’t I ever do anything half-way?

------------------------------------

Author's Note: There is an issue with my account preventing my stories from coming up on the Most Recent page. The mods are working on finding a solution. Until then if you follow this story or add me as a favorite author, you will receive e-mail alerts whenever I post a new chapter. Thanks to everyone that keeps sending in reviews and following along. :)
Chapter 32 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Thirty Two

"So Brooke tell us about your new album."

"Brooke, what's your favorite song off the new album?"

"When does your tour start?"

"How is your dad handling your fame?"

"We've heard rumors about the Backstreet Boys getting back together. What can you tell us?"

My head was literally spinning. In the course of seventy two hours, I had done no fewer than ten shows to promote the new album. I had performed Chaotic seven of those ten times.

And all of that was just in New York. I was currently on a plane to L.A. sandwiched between my PR guy and my dad.

"You're doing much better in interviews Brooke," Sam said.

Sam was an old friend of my mom's. They went way back. Like high school back. I couldn't even picture my mom in high school.

"She's a natural. Just like her dad," dad said. Sam gave him a look.

"You still need some work."

I laughed. Dad was always fun to watch when he got interviewed. If he wasn't goofing off, he was making up words. Between dad's poor attempt at sounding grown up and Uncle Brian's tendency to start telling a completely unrelated story, it was always a circus.

"And so far everyone's kept on topic," Sam said. I smiled.

"Thank you for that."

Even before booking my appearances, Sam had made it clear that I wasn't to be asked about the whole Garrett incident. I knew that didn't mean much where the media was concerned, but so far, so good.

Once we got to L.A., we checked into the Hilton. While dad went to go pick up some food, I called Kay.

"You rocked The Today Show," Kay said the moment she picked up.

I laughed. "Thanks."

"How many people were there?"

I smiled. "A lot."

Kay laughed. "No shit. So where are you now?"

I kicked off my shoes and fell back on the bed. "L.A."

"Nice. Have you heard from Trevor?"

I sighed. "Not since the video shoot. I've left him a couple messages."

Kay clicked her tongue. "Well, don't get hung up on it."

I frowned. "I'm not hung up on it."

"Well, just don't pull a Noah."

I rolled my eyes. "Noah's different. He's known you forever."

"He just needs to get a girlfriend, get laid, and get over me."

I made a face. I didn't want to think about my little brother getting 'laid.'

"He does date, Kay," I said.

"Good. Hey, I met this guy last night..."

I listened to her give me an overly detailed description of the seventeen year old guy she had met the night before.

"He's in the 75th percentile on my scale too," she said proudly. My eyes widened.

"You didn't see...it last night," I said. "You just met!"

"So?"

"Kay..."

At that moment the hotel room door open and dad came in juggling McDonald's bags.

"Dad's back with food. I've got to go. Behave yourself okay?"

Kay laughed. "Always!"

Never was more like it. We said goodbye and hung up.

"Who was that?"

"Kay," I said.

Dad laughed. "She's always well-behaved BooBoo."

I bit the inside of my cheek. She sure put on a good act.

I helped dad spread out the food and we sat down at the table to eat.

"I called Bri and he said it would be fine for you to stay there while mom and I go on our trip."

Mom and dad were finishing off their year-long 15th anniversary celebration with a trip to Australia. The hardest part was finding places for all of us to stay. I had offered to babysit, but I also hadn't wanted to miss Kay's birthday.

"Awesome. I can't wait," I said.

Dad smiled. "What do you want me to bring you back from down undah?"

I took the pickles off my burger.

"Anything but a giraffe," I said. Dad laughed.

Dad said my hatred of giraffes started on my first birthday. Dad had rented out the zoo and somehow he and Uncle Bri had gotten attacked by a giraffe while Kay and I watched.

I have no recollection of that. All I know was that I hated the creatures. They scared the crap out of me. I didn't think it was normal for any creature to be able to walk with a neck that long. And they had black tongues. Ugh.

"I'll remember that," dad said.

We started talking about random things - movies, music, crazy things Landon did...y'know, just normal father/daughter things. I was almost done with my milkshake when my phone rang. I usually ignored the phone when I was eating, but the display showed that it was Trevor.

I grabbed at the phone, hopped up, and hit Talk.

"Hello?"

"Hey Brooke."

I smiled. "Hey Trevor. You got my messages."

"Yeah, all of them."

I blushed. I slid the glass door to the balcony open and walked out into the fresh air. I closed the door behind me.

"Sorry about that. It's just we kind of left on a bad note..."

"Yeah, I'm sorry about that. Dad was in a bad mood and I just thought it was better if..."

He trailed off. From what I already knew about his dad, I surmised that he was always in a bad mood. I sank down onto a chaise lounge.

"Well I was hoping you weren't saying good-bye forever," I said lightly. I played with a loose string at the bottom of my jeans.

"No way! Hey, I saw you on The Tonight Show last night. You did a good job."

I grinned. "Thanks."

We talked for a few minutes. Grenadine was getting ready to do their own press junket. When the conversation hit a lull, I decided to ask something that I had been debating on for a few days.

"Hey Trevor?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you going to be free on July 24?"

"Hold on. Lemme check."

He was gone for a few seconds.

"We start our tour on the 26th. That's actually our last free weekend. Why?"

I took a deep breath.

"My best friend's brother is getting married that day and I was wondering if...if you might want to be my date?"

The last few words came out in a jumble.

There was a long pause. My eyes widened in horror. I was almost ready to just hang up.

"Where's the wedding?" he finally asked.

"Atlanta. You could fly in with us. Dad could get another hotel room," I said.

There was another pause, but it wasn't as long.

"I'd like that," he said softly.

I smiled. "Really?"

"Sure. Count me in."

My pulse spiked.

"Awesome."

"Brooke?"

I turned and pulled the phone away from my ear. Dad was standing at the door.

"Yeah?"

"You have a radio interview in twenty minutes."

I smiled. "Okay. Thanks, dad."

He disappeared. I pressed the phone back to my ear.

"I've got to go."

"Alright. I'll talk to you soon."

I really hoped so. I smiled.

"Sounds good."

We said goodbye and I stood up to go back into the hotel room. Before I did, I couldn't help but do one little jump in place.

I had a date to a wedding!

Now all I had to do was tell dad about my surprise guest. I figured I'd wait until he got back from the trip. He'd be happy and relaxed; there was no way he'd say no.

I so couldn't wait to call Kay back.

There are just some things you have to share with a best friend right away.

This was one of them.
Chapter 33 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Thirty Three

"If you need anything give us a call. We'll only be a half a world away," dad said with a smile.

I laughed.

"Listen to Uncle Bri and Aunt LeighLeigh," mom said.

"Of course."

I had my carry-on bag over my shoulder and my boarding ticket in hand. Mom hugged me tightly.

"Be safe BooBoo."

"You too, mom. Have fun."

She smiled. I turned to dad. I hugged him tightly around his neck and kissed his cheek.

"Bye daddy."

"Bye pumpkin."

With a wave I handed over my boarding ticket. I didn't stop waving until mom and dad faded from sight.

I was on my way to Atlanta. Kayleigh had been calling me daily. I think she was almost more excited about me coming than she was about her birthday.

That made my sad. She really didn't have enough faith in the people who loved her.

I took my seat in first class. This was only the second time I had travelled alone and there was no way dad was putting me in couch. I stretched out my legs and looked around. I always kept my eye out for famous people.

As it turns out, I was the only famous person on the flight. The stewardess asked for my autograph for her daughter. A businessman a couple rows up did the same.

Once we reached altitude and the seatbelt light went off, I pulled out my laptop.

Mom had instilled in me the importance of keeping in contact with my fans. She had set me up with a little blog. The only rule was that I was never to divulge my location.

Like I would be stupid enough to do that.

I was busy typing about the upcoming tour dates when my phone rang. The ringtone told me it was Trevor. Noah had decided to be a smartass and put Bette Midler's "Wind Beneath My Wings" as Trevor's tone. Anytime he called, I heard 'Did you ever know that you're my hero' on a loop until I answered.

"Hello?"

"Hey Brooke."

I smiled. "Hey."

"How's it going?"

"Good. I'm headed to Atlanta for my best friend's birthday party. What about you?"

"I've been stuck in choreography all day. They want us to increase the energy of our live show. The minute I learn a step I forget it."

I didn't have that problem. For some reason I just picked up on the steps easily.

"Well my Uncle Howie always had that problem too, but he did just fine."

"Uncle Howie?"

Even though he couldn't see me, I blushed.

"I call all of dad's bandmates Uncle. I've known them all my life," I explained.

"That's cute. It's nice that you have such a big extended family," Trevor said. He sounded sad.

"Well, I'm sure once you get to know the other guys better you'll feel the same way," I said.

Trevor snorted. "I doubt it. The rich guys don't like that I'm getting longer parts on the songs."

I frowned. "That's not your choice, it's the producers."

"Try telling them that."

"Maybe you just need to go solo," I suggested.

"That's my dream. I--"

I heard a shout.

"Ugh, I've got to get back to rehearsal. Maybe I can see you when you get back?"

I made a face. I'm heading out on tour right after. But, my first show's here. Maybe you can come."

He laughed. "I'd like that. I--"

There was another shout.

"Damn. Alright, I'll talk to you later. Bye!"

I smiled. "Bye."

I hung up and turned back to my computer. I liked talking to Trevor. It was easy. With both of us being in the business, it was easy to relate to him. He didn't make me feel nervous.

So far there were a lot more good things about Trevor Tylers then there were bad.

--------------------------------

"AHHHH! BROOKEY!!!!"

Kay tackled me the moment she saw me. I stumbled backwards under the weight of my bag and laughed.

"It hasn't been that long!" I said. She stood back and sighed dramatically.

"It's been forever."

"Hey Brooke."

I smiled at Uncle Brian. Like dad, he was aging well. Dad told me once that's because Carters have good genes. Littrells, on the other hand, had hair plugs and Botox. I didn't know if he was telling the truth or not, but either way, it worked.

"Hi. Thanks for having me!" I said.

"C'mon," Kay said. She took my hand and walked over to baggage.

"The pink ones right?"

I laughed. "Of course."

Two hot pink bags came rolling along. Kay grabbed one and I grabbed the other.

"How was your flight?" Uncle Brian asked. He took the suitcase from Kayleigh and held out his hand for the one I was holding. I gave it to him.

"Uneventful," I said.

"You brought your swimsuit right?" Kay asked.

"Of course I did."

Even though I didn't like the ocean, pools were okay. Laying out by the pool was even better.

"Excellent. Of course, we can't let you burn. I'm sure they don't want a crispy lobster on stage when you get home," Kay teased.

Unlike Peyton, I never tanned. I was either pale white or lobster red. Peyton turned so dark she looked Latino.

It just wasn't fair.

"Well, Leigh and I are taking you girls out for some fondue tonight," Uncle Bri said. "Then maybe a movie."

Kay rolled her eyes but I smiled. When we were younger, I used to love going out to some expensive Atlanta restaurant and seeing a move with the Littrells.

Obviously Uncle Bri was feeling sentimental.

"I'd like that," I said.

Kay picked at the tip of her finger, flaking off a little chunk of pink nail polish along the way.

"Have you heard from Trevor?" she asked.

I felt my smile widen. "He called during the flight."

Kay's eyes lit up. "Oooh."

I laughed. "He wanted to see if we could hang out when I come back but I start the tour. But he might come to my first show in Tampa."

"I'm so there," Kay said. "I can't wait to meet this guy."

Uncle Bri glanced at us in the rearview mirror.

"Kay-d bug, you're going to have to catch a show another time. With the wedding coming up, mom needs you here."

Kay's eyes widened. "What? That's not fair. That's b--"

I knew what was going to come flying out of her mouth. I pinched her arm.

"I'll be touring well into August," I said. "Hey, you should come out to Cali and make it a real trip."

Kay looked at me. Her cheeks were stained with pink.

"Hey, that's a good idea!" Uncle Bri said. "We'll make it a family trip."

Kay slumped in her seat. I couldn't tell whether she was still pouting about not coming to Tampa or whether she was upset that she had to go to Cali on a 'family trip.'

Even though she was my best friend, sometimes Kayleigh Littrell could be hard to read.
Chapter 34 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Thirty Four

"You look like a Veronica," Kay said. She snapped her fingers. "Ronnie."

"Ronnie?"

Kay laughed. "Well until you come up with something different, that's your name tonight, bestie."

I touched a strand of the long dark wig that I wore. I smiled. This was insane. Kay nudged my side.

We looked at each other and started to laugh.

After a fun dinner and movie with the Littrells, we had gone back to the house. Uncle Bri and Aunt LeighLeigh had gone to bed about an hour ago. During that time Kay had been transforming the two of us for a night on the town.

Kay, otherwise known as 'Britney', wore a short brown wig. Her lime green top sparkled eve in the darkness.

The bus slowly pulled up in front of us. I followed Kay on board.

"So I'm going to be from Mississippi," she drawled.

"Why can't you be from here?"

Kay rolled her eyes. "What fun is that?"

Something told me that Kay's fun was going to be dangerous. I cracked my knuckles.

"You look totally hot with black hair," Kay continued. "Maybe you should dye it."

I snorted. "Yeah right."

The only good thing about the wig and the thick makeup Kay had put on me was that no one seemed to recognize me. Even after we got off the bus and walked into the club, no one had stopped me.

"So, here's the thing!" Kay shouted. I leaned towards her.

"Don't EVER take a drink from someone," she said. "If you set down your drink, don't go back to it. Just get another one."

Her face was serious. I nodded.

"Oh, and the coat closet is mine!"

My eyes widened. She gave me a dimpled grin and bounced into the crowd. I followed.

"I'm going to the restroom!" I called. She nodded.

"I'll get the drinks!"

I headed into the restroom. As I passed the mirror I stopped. I was totally confused for a minute as to the person in the reflection. It was funny, but I actually looked a lot like mom with the dark hair and thick eyelashes. I ran a finger along the strap of my tank top. I felt really gorgeous in a dangerous type of way.

No wonder Kay was the way she was. If I did this a lot I'd probably be just as wild as she was.

I went into a stall. When I got out I washed my hands and reapplied my lipstick. Kay was holding two cups when I walked back to her.

"Thanks Brit," I teased. I took the cup and took a sip. I almost spit it out.

"What's this?"

"Coke," Kay said simply.

I sniffed at the cup. It looked like Coke, but it didn't smell like Coke. And it sure as hell didn't taste like Coke.

"Coke and what?"

Kay snickered. "Rum and Coke."

My eyes widened. "Kay!"

She opened her purse and pulled out just the top of a bottle.

"It's not a lot," she said. "Just chill."

I immediately thought about the publicity and trouble I'd be in if I was caught drinking. Then I remembered that I was practically unrecognizable. The only alcohol I had ever had before was a sip of beer (which was absolutely disgusting). After another sip, I realized the rum and Coke was actually pretty tasty.

"So see that guy over there?" Kay asked. She pointed towards a muscular brunette with a goatee. I nodded and took another sip from the cup.

"He sounds like an ape when he's having sex," Kay said. She giggled and brought the cup up to her mouth.

I tapped my fingers against the side of my drink.

"Kay, can I ask you something?"

For a moment she hesitated. Finally she glanced at me and nodded.

"Sure."

I looked out at the crowded room.

"How many guys have you slept with?"

"Ccunting Donkey Kong over there?" she asked. I nodded.

"Fifteen."

"Fifteen?"

Kay drank heavily from her cup. "Well, it's not like I sleep with every guy. I mean I've probably given way more bj's."

My stomach felt funny. I couldn't even imagine me doing something like that.

"Why?"

She laughed. "Why what?"

"Why do you do it?"

Kay shrugged. "'Cause it's fun. That's what I was born to do."

I looked at her in surprise. "You weren't born to sleep with random guys."

"Do you know how many women your dad's slept with?" she said with a smile. "Or Uncle AJ?"

It was hard to picture my dad with anyone else but mom, but I knew that he had been really promiscuous.

"So? What about your dad?" I asked.

"Mom wasn't his first," she pointed out. "And mom sure as hell wasn't a virgin when they got married."

"Okay let's change the subject," I said. Talking about our parents...sex (ugh) lives was getting gross.

"Sure, let's change the subject. I'm going to ask him to dance."

Before I could say anything, Kay slid her way through the crowd. I stood there holding both my cup and hers. I was feeling a little warm and tingly which I only assumed was the alcohol.

I waited by the bar. I finished my drink. Then I finished Kay's. I was really enjoying the music. It had a fun beat. I began to dance by myself. I was a good dancer.

I was Brooke Carter!

"Hi there."

I turned. A tall guy with black hair was smiling down at me. His eyes sparkled every time the club lights rotated his direction. He was wearing a tight black t-shirt and jeans.

"I haven't seen you here before!" he yelled over the music.

I blushed and shook my head. He was totally hot.

"What's your name?"

I almost said Brooke until a piece of the long black wig brushed against my face and I saw it out of the corner of my eye.

"Ronnie!" I called back.

He grinned and nodded.

"You look like a Ronnie!"

What was with me looking like a Ronnie? I laughed.

"How old are you?" he asked.

"Sixteen," I said. "What about you?"

He paused for a minute. Normally, that probably would have raised a red flag with me. But I had just drank a cup and a half of Rum and Coke. I just continued to smile.

"Seventeen," he said. "Wanna dance?"

I glanced out at the floor. I didn't say Kay anywhere. I nodded.

"Sure."

He took my hand and we found a small space between two other couples. The music was loud and fast. His hands felt warm and strong as he grabbed my waist. His hips grinded towards me. Several times they connected with my body.

I had never felt so warm in all my life.

"What's your name?" I yelled as we stayed on the floor for the second song. I was pretty sure I had forgotten to ask the first time. He gave me a grin.

"Josh."
Chapter 35 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Thirty Five

"Josh? Nice name," I said with a smile. He laughed.

"Thanks. Hey, do you want a drink?"

I thought back to what Kay had said. Something about not taking drinks from anyone. But he seemed harmless.

I nodded. "Sure."

I followed him over to the bar. Josh leaned against it and ordered two Cokes. He started to laugh.

"What?" I said.

"Look at that dude dancing by himself," he said. He pointed. I studied the crowd. Sure enough there was a guy doing the robot. I watched him for a couple seconds.

"At least he's having fun," I said. I turned back to Josh. He wiggled my drink towards me.

"Cheers," he said. He tapped my cup with his.

"Cheers!" I said.

I brought the cup up to my lips and took a sip.

"Get the fuck away from her."

I turned in surprise. Kay was standing there looking murderous. I glanced back at Josh. He looked confused.

"Excuse me?"

Kay's hand knocked the drink out of my hand. My eyes widened. She grabbed my arm.

"Just leave her the hell alone," she said. She stepped in front of me.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Do I know you?" Josh asked.

Kay's whole body was shaking. Her hand slid into her pocket but she seemed to think twice. She turned around.

"Let's go."

She practially pulled me through the crowd. I was stumbling along after her.

"Kay what's wrong?"

We stepped outside. Even with all the bodies packed in the club, it was much cooler than the humid evening we stepped out into. Kay glanced back and forth down the street.

"A bus should be coming soon." she said. I ran to keep up with her.

"What's going on?"

We stopped by the bus sign. A little alley was tucked away nearby.

"HEY!"

We both turned. Josh came running up.

"What's your problem?" he said angrily.

Before Kay could respond, he grabbed both of our arms and dragged us back a little. We ended up right at the entrance to the alley. His broad shoulders took up a lot of the narrow space.

"You interrupted me and Ronnie," he said a little more calmly. Kay glared at him.

"I know your game," she said simply. He gave her a grin.

"What game?"

"You don't remember me do you?"

He squinted. "Should I?"

Kay's chest heaved. "You raped me right here in this alley."

The night suddenly wasn't hot. It was ice cold. It was Antarctica. A scream lodged in my throat.

Josh laughed. "Baby, I don't know what the hell you're talking about."

My toes felt tingly. I didn't know if it was from fear or--

"Just get the hell away from us," Kay repeated. Josh leaned from side to side.

"And what are you going to do if I don't?" He licked his lips. All of a sudden his gaze didn't make me feel so good. It made me feel dirty.

"How about all of us have some fun together?" he asked. He took a step forward.

That was the only step he took. It all happened so fast. One minute I was sure that we were doomed and the next second he was crumpled to the ground holding his stomach. Blood seeped between his fingers.

Kay shook a small knife. Drops of blood flew off in all directions. She closed it. It was in the shape of a tube of lipstick.

"Let's go," she said. We took off at a run. We ran about six blocks to another bus stop. The bus was idling at the curb. She took the tube of lipstick, wiped it clean, and tossed it in the trash. We ran up the bus steps and took seats in the front.

Kay gripped the metal bar in front of her. Her knuckles were white.

"Kay," I whispered. My mouth felt like cotton.

"Did you drink anything?" she asked.

"I just took a sip," I said.

"He drugs girl's drinks," she said in barely a whisper.

I studied her profile. She was pale and sweating.

"That was--"

"Yes."

"Kay--"

"I don't want to talk about it." She closed her eyes. "I shouldn't have brought you there. I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault," I said. In reality, it was partially her fault. But then again, it was mine too. I could have insisted that we stay in her bedroom and paint each other's nails.

"Kay, you really need to tell your mom and dad," I said. Kay shook her head.

"They don't need to know. What can they do? They can't take it back."

We were quiet for the rest of the trip back. Once we got to the stop we walked the couple blocks back to the fancy gated community where she lived. Five minutes later we were standing in her bedroom. I swayed slightly.

"Are you going to throw up?" Kay asked.

The combination of alcohol and...whatever was in that one little sip I took was making my stomach feel like a rollercoaster. I started to shake my head no, but that was the wrong choice. I barely made it into Kay's bathroom. I tossed up the lid and heaved. Kay knelt beside me and kept my fake hair away from my face.

When I had completely emptied my stomach, Kay handed me a washcloth. I wiped my mouth.

"You stabbed him," I said. I was slowly processing the events. I had finally gotten past the shock of just how close I had gotten to a rapist. That made the second one in just a few months. I was the worst judge of character.

"He deserved it," she said simply.

"But, if he goes to the police--"

"He'll identify a woman with short dark hair who's friends with a girl named Ronnie who has long black hair," Kay said calmly.

I hugged my knees. "You shouldn't go there anymore," I said.

Kay looked at me.

"I won't," she promised. We both got out of our hair, makeup, and clothes. I changed into my pajamas and we crawled onto her bed. Kay wrapped her arms around me.

"I'm sorry Brookey," she said. I could smell the rum on her breath. She had hit it much harder than I had.

"I just don't want you hurt," I whispered. She didn't answer. I closed my eyes. I didn't know how I'd be able to sleep. I seemed to attract all the men that wanted to hurt me.

Then there was Trevor. He had saved me. I was sure if he had been in Atlanta that he would have tried to save me again.

But what was going to happen when he didn't have to save me? Would he try to hurt me to?

I didn't want to think that way, but I couldn't help it. There was only so many bad things that could happen in one's life without a little cynicism creeping in.

And this so-called 'American Honey' was learning that the hard way.
Chapter 36 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Thirty Six

I woke up the next morning with a horrible headache. Kay was still sprawled out, fast asleep. I crawled out of bed. I tried to be as quiet as possible.

Aunt LeighLeigh and I were on a mission. It was Kay's birthday and we had a lot of decorating to do.

After all, my bestie deserved an amazing party.

I got dressed in some old jeans and a t-shirt. I still couldn't shake the events of the night before. Kay had stabbed someone, albeit for a just cause.

I just didn't know if I would have been that brave.

"Morning Brooke," Leighanne said with a smile. "You ready to go?"

Uncle Bri was sitting on the kitchen counter. "What should I tell Kay when she wakes up?"

Leighanne looked thoughtful. "Tell Kay we've gone to do something for the wedding."

I knew Kay would believe that...not that she would like it.

"How long will you be?"

"We should be done by noon."

"And the parties at six?"

We nodded. He gave us a thumbs up.

"Go for it girls."

Leighanne and I walked out to the car. She handed me her phone.

"Can you text Michael and see if he's there yet?"

I scrolled through the screens until I pulled up the party planner's information. I sent off a text message.

Kay was going to flip when she saw everything. She was going to eat her words for complaining about everyone forgetting about her birthday.

It was going to be a night fit for a princess.

------------------------------

"So the DJ's lined up, right?" Leighanne asked as we made our way out of the venue. I nodded.

"Yup, he's got his instructions and Michael will meet him at the side door at five to help bring in the equipment and get set up," I said. Leighanne held up her hand and we high fived. I settled back with a smile.

I didn't know how Aunt LeighLeigh did it. Not only was she planning the wedding, but her and I had been working on Kay's birthday for the past month.

"Do we need to pick up Noah?" she asked.

I shook my head. "Nope. Aunt Angel said she's going to rent a car. She's taking Noah and Logan somewhere this afternoon before the party."

Once NoNo had found out that I was helping plan Kay's party, he insisted on getting an invitation. Even though he was staying with Angel while mom and dad were away, he had managed to talk her into flying up. Angel had a soft spot for all of her nieces and nephews.

"I wish Kay would go out with your brother at least once," Leighanne said.

"He's not her type," I said.

"What is her type?"

I bit my lip. This was awkward. If I told Aunt LeighLeigh Kay's real type she would probably run right off the road. And if I lied...

Ugh. I hated to lie.

"I don't know. I don't think she even knows," I said. In a way, I thought that was probably true.

"Well, I was like her at that age," Leighanne said. "Actually, I was like that until I met Brian."

I smiled.

"I can't imagine Uncle Bri without you," I said. Leighanne laughed.

"Well, sometimes the stars align just right."

Leighanne pulled into the driveway. We got out. Uncle Bri was sitting in the living room plucking at his guitar.

"Where's Kay?" I asked.

"Out by the pool," he said.

I headed upstairs and changed into my bikini. I grabbed a towel and went back down and out the side doors to the pool.

Kay slid her sunglasses down her nose.

"Hey Kay."

"Did you have fun playing wedding planner?" she asked. I thought I detected a note of jealousy.

"Oh, it wasn't that bad. Have you been awake long?"

Kay shrugged. "A couple hours."

I stretched out beside her. She looked at me and sighed dramatically.

"What's wrong?"

"I would kill to have your long legs," she said.

I shifted in the chair. "Kay, you're beautiful just the way you are."

She pushed her glasses back up.

"I don't know." she paused. "I think I might get some plastic surgery."

She was so random. We had just gone from her stabbing someone to her thinking about chopping at her body.

"Why?"

"I don't know. Hey, dad didn't forget my birthday."

I tried not to grin. "Oh really?"

"Yeah. We had breakfast together. It was kind of nice."

I wiggled my toes. The sun felt great.

I figured that a few hours by the pool was an awesome way to kill an afternoon.

Now we just had to figure out how to get Kay dressed up and out of the house without ruining the surprise.

That was going to be tricky.

-----------------------------

"This is bullshit," Kay hissed.

"It's not that bad."

Aunt LeighLeigh had decided to tell Kay that we were going to the opera with Baylee and Claudia.

Kay hated the opera. Truthfully, I did too.

"It's my fuckin' birthday! I don't want to see some fat lady trying to sing from her nonexistant diaphragm!"

"Your dad said we'd go out for cake and ice cream afterward," I said. Kay gave me a look.

Even though she was complaining, she looked great. She had on a dark brown dress accentuated with gold jewelry. Her hair was curled up and piled up on her head. Because I was now anti-red, I had opted for a white sundress.

"KAY! BROOKE!" Uncle Bri called.

"COMING!" Kay said. She grabbed her purse.

"I can only hope there's a hot usher," she said.

"You seriously wouldn't do anything after last night," I said.

"The world keeps turning Brooke. The main thing was that he didn't touch you," she said. She picked up a bottle of perfume and applied just a dab on her wrists and neck.

I bit my tongue. I hated the way Kay cheapened herself, but tonight wasn't the night to bring that up. Tonight was her birthday. I just wanted to see the look on her face and her big bright smile. We were headed out for an evening of music, but what the DJ was spinning was far from opera.

"Let's get this over with," Kay mumbled.

I followed her down the stairs. Bri offered his arm to Kay. She hesitated for a moment and then took it with a pretty smile.

I caught Aunt LeighLeigh's eye and she winked.

The celebration had begun.
Chapter 37 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Thirty Seven

To say that Kay enjoyed her party would have been a HUGE understatement. Kay couldn't have been more surprised or happy. I don't think she stopped smiling once all evening.

I didn't get to tell Kay about her present until the very end of the night. We had both kicked off our shoes and were relaxing. I was grinning from ear to ear. Noah had just told me to check my phone. Chaotic was number one. I loved being number one.

It was a Carter trait.

"Want to know what I got you for your birthday?" I asked. Kay's eyes lit up and she laughed.

"Sure. Where is it?"

"It's not here."

She looked at me in confusion.

"I'm putting you in my next music video," I explained. "It's not going to be for a little while, so you're going to have to take a raincheck but--"

"OH MY GOD!"

She wrapped her arms around my neck so tightly that I couldn't breathe. Her voice rose three octaves.

"You're kidding!"

I sputtered. "I'm not! I...can't...breathe..."

She loosened her grip and giggled.

"Isn't your duet the next single though?" she asked. I nodded.

"It is. But I have a vision."

I had already chosen the director. I was going back to the same guy that had shot my Stuck Like Glue video. He was a master at girly love songs. He also didn't hesitate when I told him I already had a girl in mind to play one of Trevor's 'other girls.'

Kay suddenly had a burst of energy. She bounced up.

"Let's dance until we're the last ones left on the floor," Kay said breathlessly. I laughed and scrambled to my feet. We ran onto the mostly empty dancefloor. As we threw our hands in the air, Kay closed her eyes.

I secretly hoped that this party was going to tame her a little bit. Her parents did care. We all cared. She had to see that now.

Don't get me wrong. I loved fun-loving Kay.

But I also didn't want all that fun to backfire on her.

-------------------------------

We slept until about noon the next day. I woke up before her. As I crawled out of my sleeping bag, Kay opened a weary eye.

"Can it be my birthday again?" she asked. I laughed.

"Then you'd be seventeen," I said.

She sighed. "That would be fine. I'd prefer to be twenty-one already."

I shook my head.

"I'm not so sure I'm going to live through your twenty-first birthday," I said. Kay laughed.

"We're going to have to hire people just to drag us out of the clubs," she said.

Something told me I would probably be the one to drag her out. After the club incident, I wasn't so sure I was going to drink again.

We ended up spending the day by the pool. I noticed right away that Kay still had on the beautiful gold necklace she had gotten from Noah as a birthday present the night before. She played with it as we were talking.

"I still can't help but wonder how he afforded that," I said. Kay glanced down and grinned.

I have to admit, I was a little jealous. Why couldn't the big goober have gotten me a gold necklace with a diamond 'B'? I was so going to talk to mom and dad when they got home.

"I know," Kay mused. "Whatever job he has must pay a bundle."

I frowned. "But that's just the thing," I said. "He doesn't do anything."

Kay laughed. "That sounds like my perfect job."

I rolled my eyes.

"What DO you want to do?" I asked.

Kay bit her lip. She took a long while before she finally shrugged.

"I don't know. I've got plenty of time to think about it."

I nodded, but inside I was thinking that she really DIDN'T have that much time to keep thinking about it. After all, I had a job. Of course, I had ALWAYS known what I had wanted to be. I wanted to entertain. It was in my blood. Obviously, it was in Baylee's blood too.

Kay's blood...

Well, who knew?

-------------------------------------

"You can't go. I won't let you."

"Kay, get off. This is ridiculous."

We were in the airport and Kay had her arms wrapped around my leg. People were staring at us. Uncle Bri was trying not to grin. I had a feeling this was probably something he and my dad had done a long time ago.

"Your parents have three other kids. You can stay here."

I laughed. "Kay, I have the tour. I'll see you at the end of the month for the wedding. I promise."

After the rough start to my stay in Atlanta, the rest of the time had gone perfectly. From Kay's party to Fourth of July fireworks to a day at the amusement park...the time had flown by.

Now I had to get back to work.

"That's forever away," Kay sighed. Fortunately she stood back up like us normal human beings. I heard the boarding call.

"Call me," I said. We hugged tightly.

"I will. Have fun on tour. I hope Trevor comes to your first show," Kay said. She grinned.

"Me too," I said. I flipped my hair and attempted one of Kay's signature flirty looks. She gave me a thumbs up.

"Bye Brookey."

I turned and hugged Uncle Bri. He kissed my cheek.

"Thank you for having me," I said. He smiled.

"Anytime."

I headed up the ramp. Mom and dad had called last night to let me know they had arrived back home safe and sound.

I couldn't wait to see them. And Landon. And Peyton. And even sneaky NoNo.

I missed my family.

After I found my seat and we were safely at altitude, I opened my laptop. I had relied solely on my phone for the entire week. I had a backlog of e-mails. One in particular caught my eye.

Trevor.

Hey Brooke -

Just wanted to let you know I'll be at your show. Think I can score a backstage pass? Haha. Call me when you can.

- Trevor


I bit the palm of my hand in excitement to keep from squealing. The guy next to me had fallen asleep almost instantly and I didn't want to spend the rest of the flight with him angry at me.

I hit reply and quickly wrote back.

Trevor -

Of course they'll be a pass waiting! Come early and we can hang out. Hope your choreography went well. I think I forgot all the steps for the tour. That's what happens when I practice BEFORE vacation. I'll have to cram them all back in before Saturday!

See you soon,

Brooke


I hit send and sank back in my seat.

I thought about Garrett. I thought about Josh. Both of them turned my stomach.

Then I thought about Trevor.

One of those guys didn't belong with the others.

I'm sure you can guess which one I mean.
Chapter 38 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Thirty Eight

"BOOK! BOOK! BOOK!"

Landon got to me before anyone else. He threw his chubby little arms around my leg and squeezed. It was like the Kayleigh stunt all over again, but for Landon, it was appropriate.

"Hey Lan!" I said. I took a labored step; he came swinging with me. He burst into hysterical giggles and dropped to the ground.

"Hey BooBoo."

Dad took my bag from me and hugged me tightly. I know country's don't have a smell, but dad actually smelled like Australia.

"We missed you sweetheart," mom said. She hugged me tightly. She looked tan and relaxed. I figured after a few more days chasing after Landon, that look would disappear.

"Where's Noah and Pay?" I asked.

"They're at home," mom said.

We got my bags and headed to the car.

"It'll be good to get home," I said.

"Your first show is in three days," dad reminded me. I smiled.

"I know."

We were about half-way home, when I suddenly thought about Kay's necklace. The necklace reminded me about Noah.

"HEY!" I said. It was so sudden that dad swerved. Once we righted himself, he glanced back at me in surprise.

"What?"

"Noah bought Kay a really expensive necklace for her birthday. He said he just got his first paycheck. What's that all about?" I asked.

Dad frowned. "Paycheck? I have no idea..."

Mom looked like she had found a sudden interest in the palm trees out along the boulevard.

"Mom?"

"Hmm?"

"Do you know anything?"

"Mommy knows lots!" Landon piped up. "She knows ciwcles, and twiangles, and squawes!"

Dad laughed. Then he looked at mom.

"Liv, I know that look."

"I know nothing!" she said sweetly.

"Y'know he said he was buying drugs with the rest of the money," I said. I was playing hardball. Mom whirled around in her seat.

"He didn't."

I wasn't a great liar. I felt my face flush. "He...he might have."

Mom rolled her eyes. At her own daughter!

"Liv, c'mon spill the beans," dad said.

"I'm sure he'll tell you eventually," mom said with a smile. "And if he doesn't, you'll find out in a couple days anyhow."

Dad looked confused. I'm pretty sure I looked the same way.

How were we going to find out in a couple days?

-----------------------------------

I realized after two days at home that I might have decided to start the tour too soon. I was having too much fun. Since mom and dad missed the Fourth of July, dad did a fireworks show for us my first night back. Landon almost blew himself up when he tried to shove a lit sparkler up his nose. Mom got a big burn on her hand from yanking it away from him.

I didn't know what it was about Landon. Peyton, Noah, and I were all born in rapid-fire order. Mom didn't have any battle scars from us (well, except Noah since he was a C-section). But, I was pretty sure that Landon was hazardous to her health.

The second day was spent packing for tour. Peyton spent most of the afternoon with me.

"You have so much stuff," she complained as I opened my fourth duffel bag.

"Well, I like to keep everything separated," I said. "Makeup, clothes, shoes..."

Peyton picked up one of my bras and held it up to her. I bit the inside of my cheek to keep from smiling. She caught me looking and tossed it at me.

"Don't laugh," she said sullenly.

"I'm not laughing," I said. "What's going on?"

Peyton sat down on the bed. She lifted one of her long legs above her head and wrapped her hands around it for a leg pull.

"I met this boy at the beach a few weeks ago," she said.

I paused. Peyton met a boy? My little sister?

"Oh?"

"Yeah, his name's Robbie. He's a surfer."

"How old is he?"

"Fourteen."

"He's older than you."

Peyton lowered her leg.

"By like four months, dad," she said. I blushed. That had so totally sounded like something dad would say.

"So what's that have to do with the bra?" I asked.

Peyton lifted her other leg and did the same stretch.

"Well, Robbie watched me surf and he said that the best female surfers have flat chests."

"That's stupid," I said.

Peyton lowered her leg.

"No, boobs are stupid."

I laughed. "Agreed. So what did you say to him?"

Peyton looked flustered. "What do you say to that? I didn't know whether he was calling me flat or too boob-y or--"

"Don't worry about it," I said. "Guys are stupid."

Peyton smiled. "Is Trevor stupid?"

I blushed. "Trevor doesn't count."

"Oh, so you're saying he's not a guy."

"NO!" I said. "I, er--I don't know what Trevor is yet," I admitted.

Peyton sat up.

"A boyfriend?" she guessed.

"No," I said. "I mean, not yet."

"Have you kissed?"

"No!"

"Robbie kissed me," she said.

My eyes widened. It was stupid, but I studied Peyton's lips. They looked like the same lips...

I almost smacked myself. Of course they were the same lips. Were mine any different?

"Was this before or after the boob comment?" I asked.

"After," she said.

I didn't know what to say. Fourteen year old guys were confusing. Hell, sixteen year old guys were even worse.

"How was it?" I asked.

Peyton smiled. "Nice. He had just downed a Sunny Delight and it tasted very..." she paused and tilted her head. "citrus-y."

I laughed. I came over and sat beside her. I picked up one of my small square pillows and hit the side of her head with it.

"Peyton's got a boyyyyyfrieeeenddd," I teased. Her eyes widened. She grabbed a pillow. She swung and hit my shoulder.

"I don't!"

We both scrambled to our feet. The pillow war was on. I was singing, she was screaming, and we both ended up on the floor laughing.

"He's not my boyfriend," she repeated with a gasp.

"Was that your first kiss?" I asked. We were both breathing hard from our chase.

"Yeah," she said.

"Would you do it again?"

A slow smile spread across her face. She looked at me, her eyes sparklig.

"Yeah."

I laughed. We both sat up and brushed the hair out of her eyes.

"I'll give you some advice Pey," I said. "If a guy kisses you, I wouldn't worry too much about what he says about your boobs." I paused. "But don't let him touch them."

Her eyes widened. "Ew, gross!"

We both got up and continued to pack. I smiled. I hoped Peyton would think that was gross for at least a few more years.

Because after that, it all started to become confusing.
Chapter 39 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Thirty Nine

"The set looks amazing!"

If I had to choose one of my favorite moments of a tour, I think it would be seeing the whole thing set up for the very first concert. There's something so new and rewarding about the experience. The love wears towards the middle of the tour, but it comes back at the end when you see it torn down for good on the very last night.

"You've got a sold out show BooBoo," dad told me. "I think we are going to have to think about bigger venues."

I beamed. I loved looking at my dad's pictures from when he played packed, sold-out stadiums. That was my goal. The day I could play a place like that was the day I would know I had made it.

"Brooklyn Nichole!"

I jumped. Mom didn't use my middle name often, but when she did...

"Yeah?"

Mom held up one of the outfits I had approved. I bit the inside of my cheek.

"Nick, look at this."

"What is it?"

"It's her outfit for the last number."

Dad snorted. "No, it's not. I'll go out and buy a snowsuit right now."

My eyes widened. "Dad!"

My last number was Chaotic. I had taken the outfit I had worn for the video. I thought it was a good tie-in.

"I wore it for the video," I pointed out.

"Yes, but that was a controlled environment on a closed set. There's no way you're getting on stage in this thing on a windy day," mom explained.

I sighed. "Fine. Let me go talk to wardrobe."

Mom was on my heels. Landon ran past her.

"Landon where are you going?"

"I gotsta show daddy something!" he said. Something squeaked in his hand. Mom and I looked at each other.

"I'll let your dad handle it," she said lightly.

A half hour later I had a very sparkly, very safe outfit to wear for the last song. I pulled my hair back into a sloppy ponytail. I always felt a little like Cinderella. I spent most of the day running around in jogging shorts and a t-shirt. By the time I went on stage, I was transformed into a diva.

As we were ready to leave the room, Noah swung by the door. He skidded to a stop and peered in.

"Hey BooBoo, guess who's here?" he asked. He held up his phone. Wind Beneath My Wings started playing. I would have smacked him, but I didn't because I was distracted by the realization that the song meant Trevor had arrived.

"Trevor's here?" I asked. Noah nodded. I glanced at mom.

"Go ahead, I'll get your things organized," she said. I headed to the door and stopped.

In all the excitement, I had completely forgotten to ask mom and dad if Trevor could come with us to the wedding.

"Hey mom, I kind of invited Trevor to Baylee's wedding," I said. The corners of mom's mouth twitched.

"Oh?"

"Is that okay?"

She laughed. "Did you forget you're supposed to ask us first?"

I had the decency to blush. "I'm sorry."

Mom hung up one of my shirts.

"It's fine. I'll talk to your dad."

I beamed. "Thanks!"

With that, I headed down the hall back to the stage. Trevor was sitting beside Landon.

"Daddy says I can't show mommy," Landon whispered.

"What do you have booger?"

They both jumped. Trevor broke into a grin.

"Hey Brooke."

I smiled. "Hey."

"I's gots a sneeky snakey," Landon said.

"It's a garter snake," Trevor explained.

"Mom's going to freak out," I warned.

"Shhh," Landon said.

"C'mere Lan!" dad called. Landon scrambled up and ran over. I thought I saw my dad with a jar.

The animal lover had come to the rescue.

I took Landon's spot next to Trevor. He took my hand and kissed my cheek.

"How's it going?" he asked.

"Great. I can't wait for tonight," I said breathlessly. I didn't know if the breathlessness was from the excitement of the tour or from the kiss on the cheek. Maybe, it was both.

"You've got an awesome setup."

"Why, thank you," I said. I kicked my legs out in front of me.

"Want to take a ride around the place?" I asked. He hopped off the stage and held out his hands.

"Sure."

-------------------------------

"Have you ever driven a golf cart before?" Trevor asked.

"How hard could it be?" I asked.

I pressed on the accelerator and the thing shot forward. I slammed on the brakes and we both lurched forward. Trevor laughed.

"Do you drive a car this way?" he teased.

"Shut up," I said. I stuck out my tongue.

It took several more tries before I got the cart at a speed that wouldn't cause people to fly out of our way.

"Are you ready for your tour?" I asked.

"Not really. But I am looking forward to being your date for that wedding," Trevor said. I smiled.

"Me too."

For the next couple hours we toured all the little nooks and crannies of the venue. We played a game of basketball in which I wiped the floor with him. By the time we got back, it was getting close to my VIP time.

"I've got to get ready," I apologized as we walked backstage. "But help yourself to some of the food."

"No problem," Trevor said.

Noah was already grazing at the buffet. Trevor grabbed a plate and they started talking.

I prayed to God that NoNo wouldn't embarrass me.

I headed into my dressing room and took a shower. As I was changing into a pair of jeans and a tank for the VIP, mom walked in.

"I just heard from the record label," she said. "You know how they were supposed to do a plaque ceremony for Chaotic hitting number one last night?"

I nodded. The big shots had called at the last moment to cancel. Mom had spent an hour trying to get Landon to wear a tie. The minute we told him he didn't have to go, the tie had been tossed in the air. Much to Landon's absolute delight, the tie had landed with a loud plop in the fish tank.

"They're going to do the ceremony onstage tonight before you sing it," mom said.

"In front of everyone?" I asked. Mom smiled.

"In front of everyone."

It was bad enough that Trevor was going to be watching. Now I knew that the big shots were going to be in the audience. And I was probably going to have to make a little speech when I accepted the plaque. I could sing in front of a gigantic audience, but speak? Ha.

This was going to be interesting.

------------------------------------

Shameless Plug: Happy October! If you're looking for something a little more bloody and a little less mushy than American Honey, check out Murder at Backstreet Mansion - http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10297. I'll be updating once a week on Fridays until Halloween!
Chapter 40 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Forty

"You've been a wonderful audience tonight, Tampa!" I screamed into the microphone. It seemed like a thousand hands waved back.

My hair was clinging to the back of my neck and beads of sweat rolled down my slender shoulders. I ran backstage to the deafening cheers. Mom had my last costume change ready.

There was only one song left.

"Are we having fun?" a very loud, very male voice screamed. The crowd cheered.

The guy was Lew Stevenston, head of Fundamental Records. He was obviously spearheading the plaque ceremony.

"Who's ready to see Brooke Carter again?" Lew asked. Another scream rose through the air. I took a deep breath.

"You okay sweetheart?" mom asked.

"I don't know what to say."

Mom smiled. "If you freeze, just sing it."

I laughed. I could just see me singing my thank you speech. It would be like I was on an episode of Sesame Street or something.

Dad gave me a squeeze and I headed back onstage. I waved out to the crowd. I tried my best not to directly look at Trevor. He was front row center.

I walked up to Lew. He was smiling and holding something under a big black cloth. I stood to his side, rocking on my heels. I felt like I was back in fifth grade and waiting for my next word in the Spelling Bee.

Except the audience was much bigger. Lew coughed and began speaking in that overly loud voice again.

"Brooke, on behalf of Fundamental Records, we want to just say how pleased we are to learn that your new single, Chaotic has gone to number one so fast. We learned three days ago that it is also currently the fastest-selling digital download in history. We would like to present to you and to the songwriter a plaque recognizing this amazing accomplishment."

I looked around. I had never met the songwriter. I just knew his name was Regan C. Oheneart.

Needless to say, I was beyond surprised when Noah walked out onstage. He didn't like to be front and center. He was happier in the back or at least behind a drum set. What the hell?

Before I could ask him what he was doing hogging my moment, Lew flipped off the black cloth. He was holding two shiny gold plaques underneath.

"Brooke, we're excited to be a part of your music career. Your second CD is even better than the first, and that's saying a lot."

I shook his hand and took the plaque. I glanced back at Noah. He was giving me one of those annoying brotherly grins again.

"And Noah, we look forward to recording more of your amazing songs with other artists on our label. It is an amazing feat for a writer's first sold song to become a hit. Congratulations."

Noah shook Lew's hand and took his plaque.

"Wait. What?" I said. My voice rang out throughout the whole venue.

"Surprise," Noah said quietly.

My mouth flapped like a fish. "You wrote Chaotic?"

He laughed and nodded.

"Then who's Regan C. Oheneart?"

"That's an anagram of Noah Gene Carter," he said proudly.

What I did next will probably go down in the history books under 'stupid things artists do in front of an audience.'

I took my plaque and started hitting him in the arm.

"OW! STOP! WAIT!"

"You are a dirty sneak!" I yelled. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I wanted--oomph! it to be --hey! a surprise!"

Dad ended up coming onstage and stopping me from beating Noah to a pulp with my brand new shiny plaque. Lew was looking at me like I had lost my mind. I spit a huge hunk of hair out of my mouth. Noah waved to the crowd and ran backstage. Dad took Lew's microphone.

"Who's ready to hear this number one song?" dad yelled.

The screams replaced the laughter that was floating through the crowd.

Dad took my plaque and he followed Lew off the stage. My band started to play the intro to Chaotic. I quickly tried to pull myself together.

Even though I was totally distracted, I managed to keep the crowd on its feet. As I ran off, I heard my name shouted loudly.

"That was awesome," Peyton said the moment I walked backstage. "I want to beat up Noah."

Dad looked like he was trying not to laugh. I put my hands on my hips.

"Did you know?" I asked.

"Not until about forty five minutes ago," dad said with a chuckle. He saw me face. "I promise. Your mom was holding out on us."

I looked around. "Where is that booger? I swear--"

"Great show. Is it always so entertaining?"

I whirled around. Trevor was standing behind me smiling.

I had completely forgotten that he had witnessed the whole event.

"Oh," I said. My face flamed.

"She doesn't usually beat anyone up," Peyton said. Dad wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

"Let's go this way Pey," he said.

"But---!"

He led her away whistling. Trevor and I were, for the most part, alone.

"I'm not usually so violent," I said awkwardly.

"Remind me not to mess with you," Trevor said with a grin.

"My sister's the one that's the black belt," I said.

Trevor ran a hand through his hair. It floated back down perfectly in place. I had never noticed how lopsided his grin was. It made him look mischievious and hot at the same time.

"I was wondering if I could give you a congratulatory kiss," he said lightly. "But I don't want to get hit or anything."

I totally wished I could stop blushing, but if anything it got worse.

"I won't hit you," I promised.

He stepped closer to me. I started to freak out a little. Not because of him, but because I had just gotten off stage after almost two hours. I was sweating everyplace a girl shouldn't sweat. I was pretty sure my upper lip was soggy and--

I closed my eyes. In the time it took me to worry about all that, he kissed me. It wasn't one of those macho 'how do you like me now?' kisses like Garrett had pulled all too often. It was just a sweet 'first kiss' type of kiss.

Sweat and all.

After another few seconds he pulled away. We looked at each other and smiled.

"I should...go take a shower," I said. I kicked my leg up nervously.

"I need to get home," Trevor said reluctantly.

"So soon?" I asked.

"Yeah," he said. He looked down. When he looked back up he was smiling again.

"But I'll see you in a few weeks, right?"

I smiled. "Absolutely. I'll call you once I know all about the flight and stuff," I promised. He nodded.

"Excellent. Well...good night."

He gave me another quick kiss. Before I could say anything else he turned and ran down the stairs. I lifted my hand.

"Good night," I whispered.

"Good night, sweet prince."

I whirled around. Noah was peeking around the corner.

"YOU!" I screamed.

He took off and I raced after him.

He was going to be sorry when I caught up with him. First, I would thank him for writing an awesome song. Secondly, I was going to hit him again for not telling me sooner. And last, I was going to kill him for ruining my nice moment with Trevor.

Noah Gene Carter was going to be lucky if he lived long enough to write a second hit.

And if he did, it sure as hell better be another hit for me.
Chapter 41 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Forty One

"I can't believe mom grew up here."

"She's my little country girl," dad said happily.

I laughed.

We had arrived in Wisconsin a day before I was scheduled to play the Wisconsin State Fair. Mom had asked dad to take a little side trip with me. I peered out the window of the rental car. He slowed down in front of a pleasant looking house.

"This is the house where your mom grew up," dad said. "I told your grandma that your mom was pregnant with you right in the kitchen."

I smiled. "You told her?"

Dad grinned. "I kind of blurted it out. I was excited!"

Dad crept up a little more. "And see that window? I climbed through it so that I could spend the night."

"You climbed through a window?"

He nodded. "I did." He gave me a very 'dad' look. "But don't get any ideas."

I smiled. "Not at all."

Dad accelerated and we took off into town.

"There's the library where your mom worked," he said. It wasn't near as big as the library in Tampa, but I could imagine mom going to work all young, happy, and in love with dad.

He drove another block over.

"And that's the restaurant where I took your mom to lunch and she puked her guts out," he said happily. "We didn't know she was pregnant with you then. They had awesome food."

"You ate while she was puking?" I asked.

"Well, I ate as much as I could."

I rolled my eyes.

We were headed to the cemetary. I had never been there, but mom or grandma made the trip every year. Grandpa Mike was having knee surgery and mom had been so busy with Landon that they had asked dad and me to pay the respects this year while we were up here.

"And your mom sweet talked my way out of jail right there," dad said. He pointed at the police station.

"You were arrested? For what?"

Dad smirked. "Your mom's first husband was a jerk. I taught him a lesson."

I thought about Garrett. I knew all about jerks. I also knew about guys who taught lessons. Trevor. I smiled.

After another ten minutes of small-town country life, dad slowed the car down. We hit a shady gravel road. The thick trees finally broke and we were in the middle of a lush green cemetery.

It took dad a couple minutes, but he found the right section. He parked and we got out of the car.

I had never met my maternal grandfather. He had died before I was born. I didn't know whether I was supposed to feel sad or not. It was hard to miss someone you had never met before.

As we stared down at his headstone, I thought about how I would feel if I lost my dad. I couldn't imagine not being able to call him or see him or asking advice.

"BooBoo what's wrong?" dad asked. I brushed a tear away from my face.

"I was just thinking about how I would feel if you weren't here," I said in a small voice that sounded way too young for a girl my age. Dad's face softened.

"I'm not going anywhere," he said. He wrapped his arms around me and I cried into his chest.

"I plan on living until at least two hundred," he declared. I laughed through my sniffles.

When I had stopped crying and we had both said a silent prayer, we headed back to the car.

"Do you think mom misses living here?" I asked dad as we buckled our seatbelts.

Dad smiled. "I used to worry about that," he admitted. "But she's always told me that home isn't a static place. It's wherever the ones you love are."

I smiled. That sounded like mom.

"I like that," I said. Dad put the car into drive.

"Me too, BooBoo. Me too."

-------------------------------------

After our brief detour through mom's hometown, it was back to the grueling schedule that I had made myself for the tour. Night after night it was a different place. The second week of July melted seamlessly into the third.

Before I knew it, I was standing backstage eating a quick dinner at my last concert before Baylee's wedding. Dad caught me with my phone poised for a picture.

"What are you doing BooBoo?"

"I'm taking a picture of this Philly Cheese Steak to rub it into Noah's slimey face," I said.

Dad smiled. "You're not still mad at him for not telling you about writing the song are you?"

"Of course I am. He's a turd."

Dad laughed. "He's a talented turd."

I pressed send and took a big bite of the sandwich.

"Agreed."

An hour later, I was standing onstage with the wind whipping though my hair. There was a high chance of rain, but like any good performer, I wasn't going to stop until the end.

"I've had a great day in Philly," I said. "In fact, I guess you could say I'm stuck on you."

That corny line led me right into Stuck Like Glue. I worked my way along, grabbing hands. I was just about ready to head back towards my guitarist when the last hand I grabbed wouldn't let go.

The guy must have been in his twenties. I struggled. The security guards were on him like flies. I tried to shake it off and continue the song.

I was a little distracted for the rest of the night. It didn't take much to unsettle me. I was relieved when I took my last bow with my band.

"You okay?" dad asked immediately. He was pacing like a caged tiger.

"I'm fine," I said.

Dad kissed my temple. I excused myself to go take a shower. We were staying overnight in Philly and flying home the next morning.

I had talked to Kayleigh for about thirty seconds in the morning. She told me in high dramatics about how insane her mom and Claudia were being.

"Mom's like the mother-in-lawzilla," Kayleigh declared. I laughed.

"Well, just think about how much fun we'll have at the reception. The wedding is the quick part."

Kay had snorted.

"This wedding is going to take over an hour," she whined. "Plus, you'll be busy with Trevor at the reception."

"I will never be too busy for you," I promised.

I thought about all of that as I wrapped a towel around my hair. I thought about how Trevor would have probably punched that arm grabber guy's lights out. I also thought about the kiss Trevor and I had shared.

I was hoping for another one of those. Or maybe two.

The more I thought about it, the more I couldn't help but deny that we made a really cute couple.

I had a feeling he thought so too.
Chapter 42 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Forty Two

"Peyton, where are you?"

"Over here!"

"Noah!"

"Sup?"

"Landon?---LANDON!"

"HEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEE!"

It was pandemonium at the airport and it was only five a.m. Dad was doing the role call. Noah was slouched in a chair, his long legs stretched out in front of him listening to his IPod. Peyton was buying a magazine over at the kiosk. Landon was playing hide-and-go-seek admist the hard plastic chairs.

And I was standing by dad watching for Trevor.

Our plane was due to board in just a few minutes. My palms were sweating.

What if he changed his mind? What if he forgot? What if--

"Honey, there's Trevor," mom said. Her eyes widened. "Oh my."

At first I thought mom was seeing things, but the crowd parted and I saw Trevor making his way towards us.

He had a nasty black eye.

"Sorry, I'm late," he apologized. He hiked his carry-on bag up higher on his shoulder.

"What happened?" I asked. He shook his head.

"It's nothing."

"That doesn't look like nothing," dad said lightly.

"I fell," Trevor said. It was a horrible lie. He didn't look at anyone directly.

We didn't have time to discuss it further. The boarding call came over the speaker and mom had to grab Landon. Dad shouted at Peyton to hurry up. Noah got up and scratched his armpit like an ape.

And I was still staring at Trevor. He gave me a lopsided smile.

"I'm fine," he assured me.

Forty-five minutes later, we were all in our seats. The stewardess came by with her bright smile and her 'good morning' greeting.

"Could we have an ice pack?" dad asked.

"I'll get you one as soon as we're in the air," she promised him. Trevor started to say something, but I touched his arm and shook my head.

Landon was sitting behind me. His sneakers pummeled the back of my chair. I whirled around.

"Stop it booger."

"But my feet are all kicky this morning!" he complained. I grabbed his shoe right before it hit my chair again. He squealed.

"I'm gonna eat your toes!" I warned.

"NO!"

"Then don't kick!"

I dropped his foot. I heard him wiggling like crazy. Mom leaned over and whispered something in his ear.

"Was it your dad?" I whispered as we got our seatbelts secured. Trevor looked at me.

"You're not going to let it drop, are you?" he asked. I shook my head. He nodded.

"Yeah, mom and dad were drinking pretty heavily last night. He went after my little brother with a belt and I got in the middle of them," Trevor whispered.

My eyes widened. "A belt? That's...barbaric."

Trevor sighed. "I know."

Once we were in the air and the light had gone off, the stewardess brought dad an ice pack. He handed it up to Trevor.

"Thank you," Trevor said politely.

"Mommy I got to pee!" Landon announced. I'm sure all of the passengers in first class were dying to know that. Noah and Peyton were sitting in front of me. They both slid down as if trying to ignore the fact that they were with us.

Trevor winced as he put the ice pack to his face. I heard Landon and mom working at the seatbelts. A second later Landon's ornery face appeared right by my arm.

"I'm going to make the pee go 'woosh' right out of the plane!" he said happily. He held up his hand for a high-five. I couldn't help but tap his little hand with mine.

"Go for it," I said.

I turned back to Trevor. He was smiling.

"He's cute," he said.

"Yeah, he is. How old are your siblings?"

Trevor leaned back. I was glad that his black eye was towards the window. I wanted to cry just thinking about it.

"I have an older sister who's 20. She's out of the house," Trevor explained. "Then I have a twelve year old sister, a eight year old brother, and a nine-month old brother." He paused. "And my mom's pregnant again."

My eyes widened. "But you said she was drinking!"

Trevor's jaw tensed. "I know."

We faded off into silence. I felt sad and depressed. It was amazing that Trevor had turned out like he did. I was treated like a princess. And he was treated...

I decided to change the subject. I patted Trevor on the knee. He looked at me and smiled.

"We need to coordinate our schedules for the video shoot," I said.

"Grenadine's touring until the last week of August," Trevor said.

"Me too. How about August 28?"

Trevor pulled out his phone. He nodded. "That would work."

"Great. So what's the plan for it?"

I felt my face flush.

"Well, it's a love song," I said. Trevor laughed.

"Yes it is."

"Well I promised Kayleigh she'd be in it," I said. "So you know the line where you go Of all the girls who want you you know that I'm the best?"

Trevor nodded.

"Well I thought that Kay could be flirting with you and I could walk by and..."

"And I'd totally be distracted by how beautiful you are," Trevor said.

I laughed. "Something like that."

"I like it. So are we going for a school setting?"

I nodded. "Yeah for the verses. I told the director for the chorus maybe an outside shot in like a field with some flowers would be romantic."

"Ah, you're a flower girl?" Trevor mused. I flipped my hair.

"I wouldn't turn flowers down," I said.

"Landon Andrew Carter if I see you take one more bite of that crayon you're going to be in big trouble," mom warned behind me. I hadn't even heard them come back from the bathroom.

"I like colored poop," Landon said.

"Oh dear Lord," Noah muttered. Peyton turned around and giggled. Trevor started to laugh.

"Remember when Brooke ate crayons?" dad asked. My eyes widened. I whirled around and looked at him. Mom laughed.

"She didn't know any better. She was only a year old," mom said. She was getting that sappy face she always got when she talked about us as babies.

Dad smiled at me. "I'll stop talking before I embarrass you," he said kindly.

"Thank you," I said. I turned back around. I checked my watch. It was eight o'clock in the morning. We were scheduled to land fairly soon.

Mom had planned way ahead and so we actually got rooms in the same hotel where the reception was going to be held. The wedding was at two. By the time we checked in and got settled it would be at least ten if not eleven. It was going to take me a couple hours to get ready. The church was across town.

I thought about Kayleigh. She was probably getting her hair done at that very moment. I knew she was going to look gorgeous.

I thought back to when we were little and played 'wedding' with our dolls. I would always choose the fanciest dress and make a little walkway out of fake flowers. I would bore Kay to death as I jabbered for fifteen minutes with my little bride and groom before they kissed. Kay usually just married her couple in front of the big pink RV we both coveted and shut the door on them while they 'honeymooned.'

Something told me that those wedding scenarios would probably play out pretty similar after all these years. I wanted the fairy tale. I wanted my daddy to walk me down the aisle and I wanted to write my own vows.

I wasn't in a rush to get married. Like dad, I only wanted to do the marriage thing once. It had taken him thirty one years to find mom.

And if it took me that long to find my husband, well, I was okay with it.

But until then, I was going to dance the night away with Trevor and enjoy being sixteen.

Because as mom often reminded me, you were only sixteen once.
Chapter 43 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Forty Three

"Okay Noah and Trevor you get room 303. Brooke and Pey you'll get room 304. Landon, you're staying with me and mommy."

Landon jumped up and down. "YAY!"

Landon had this thing about sleeping in his own bed. Ever since he was old enough to get out of his crib, mom and dad seemed to wake up every morning with him sandwiched between the two of them. Mom would take him back to bed and sure enough, he would always get out.

Pey and I took our luggage into our room. Pey immediately crawled into bed.

"We have a lot to do before we leave!" I told her. She opened a weary eye.

"Brooke, it's like ten o'clock. No one needs three hours to get ready," Pey reasoned. She rolled over. Her dark hair covered her like a blanket.

"Well, I do," I said. I grabbed my razor, shaving gel, and all my other bathroom 'stuff' and locked myself in the huge bathroom. I knew Peyton wasn't looking forward to wearing a dress. I, on the other hand, was looking forward to looking nice because I had a date.

A date that I hoped Noah wasn't telling any deep dark secrets to about yours truly.

-------------------------------------

"BROOKE! I've got to go!"

The hair dryer was on full blast. I was carefully drying each section of my hair. Peyton was banging on the door.

"I told you to start getting ready two hours ago!" I called back.

"BROOKLYN!"

I reached over with my brush hand and clumsily flipped the lock. Peyton stumbled in. She wrinkled her nose.

"It smells in here."

"It's all my hair products," I said.

Pey waved a hand in front of her nose. "All you need is a comb."

I rolled my eyes. Pey moved around me. I was really immune to siblings needing to use the bathroom while I stood in front of the sink. Even though we have three bathrooms at home, it always seems like we're stepping over each other. Landon will literally sit bare bottomed on the toilet and talk to me as if he doesn't have a care in the world.

While Pey took her shower, I flipped the ends of my hair. Then I tossed my head forward like a true rocker and shook my hair to give me that 'messy on purpose' look.

I was only partially done with my makeup when Pey stepped out of the shower.

"You've got to be kidding me," she complained.

"Good things take time!" I said.

"You're not that good."

I gave her a look. She grabbed all of her stuff and got dressed in our bedroom. I looked at my reflection. I practiced my lip pucker like I had seen Kay do.

I laughed. I couldn't wait to see my bestie.

-----------------------------

Because of my early start, the Carters actually left on time for a change. Trevor took my hand. His eyes kept drifting back to my profile.

"You look amazing," he kept saying. "And you smell really good."

"It's the hair products," Pey said, mimicking me from earlier. I shot her a look.

Noah tugged at his tie. He always looked so much older when he got dressed up. It was a far cry from how he usually spent his days -- basketball shorts, t-shirts with holes in them, and underwear that probably hadn't been washed for years (okay, that might be an exaggeration).

Trevor looked amazing. Another ice pack had taken the swelling down around his eye. He had spiked up his blonde hair to epic proportions. And talk about smelling good -- he took the cake.

I smoothed out a wrinkle in my dress. It was a floral patterned dress that kind of reminded me of Japanese cherry blossoms - the white dress was covered in a color palette of black and pink. I shivered happily as the pad of Trevor's thumb trailed over my wrist.

It was going to be a great day.

-------------------------------------

"Leigh totally outdid herself," mom said as we stepped into the church.

I had to agree. There was white satin everywhere. An organist was positioned in a balcony playing beautiful organ music. Everything matched, right down to the perfect pearlized pins that the guys wore to hold their flower onto their breast pocket.

We were directed to our seats on the groom's side of the church. It was filling up fast. I ended up sitting behind a pretty redhead that looked like she was having a heck of a time trying to get her little look-a-like daughter to sit down. I leaned into Trevor a little to get a better look. I smiled.

"Shelby?"

Shelby McLean turned around. She stared at me a momnt and then her face broke into a smile.

"Brooke! It's been a long time!"

We got up and hugged.

"Congratulations on your engagement," I said.

Shelby's eyes sparkled. "Thank you. We're getting married right before Christmas."

While we were talking, her mini-me stared up at me. I vaguely remembered her from my birthday party. I searched my brain for her name. Before I had a chance to ask her, she gave me a huge chipmunk grin.

"LOOK!"

The girl held up her dress. She was wearing underwear with bright pink and yellow stars all over them. Shelby tugged the dress back down.

"Brenna, behave."

At that exact second a tall guy with thick blonde eyebrows slid past a couple people, apologizing profusely. He ran a hand lovingly along Shelby's back.

"Sorry about that. Dad just got here and wanted to know where we were all sitting."

He caught my eye. "Long time no see, Brooke."

I smiled. It was Mason.

"Hi Mason. How are you?"

"I'm--"

He didn't get a chance to answer. Brenna wrapped her arms around his neck.

"Daddy, be a horse!"

He laughed. "Not now, Brenners."

"I CAN BE A CHICKEN!"

I closed my eyes. Our conversation had attracted another participant. Landon began to bawk like a chicken. Brenna joined in.

"Landon, shh!" mom said. I opened my eyes just in time to see her put a light hand over his mouth. His bawks became garbled. Brenna giggled as Mason wrestled her from off his back and sat down with her in his laps. He wrapped his strong arms around her like a roller coaster restraint.

I had a feeling the reception was going to be interesting with two crazy little kids running around.

--------------------------------------

For me, there were three highlights of the wedding. The first was seeing Kay walk down the aisle. Puce dress and all, she looked so beautiful. She was smiling like she didn't have a care in the world.

I prayed that wasn't just a mask, but I knew her well enough to know that it probably was.

The second highlight were the personal vows Baylee and Claudia had written for each other. By that time, Landon and Brenna were getting restless. Kay hadn't been kidding when she complained that the wedding was going to be long. Even so, when Baylee got choked up about half-way through, I was glad that my mascara was waterproof. I turned my head and brushed a tear away.

The third highlight came while I was crying. Trevor reached over and brushed a tear from my cheek. I turned to look at him and he kissed me. It wasn't a long kiss, but it was nice.

Very nice.

Once the bride and groom had kissed and made their way back down the aisle, we all stood to enter the receiving line. Landon started his chicken bawking as we waited. Soon between him and Brenna, we had a whole barnyard of noises.

"She's in rare form today, isn't she?" Uncle Kevin asked Shelby. She laughed.

"That's because she's got a helper."

Mom had given up trying to cover Landon's mouth. He crouched down by her leg, braying like a donkey.

"If we stand far enough away," Noah whispered to Trevor and me. "we can pretend that we're not with them."

I laughed. "One look at us and everyone knows we're Carters, NoNo."

Noah sighed, but not for long. He broke into a smile as we neared Kay.

"KAY!"

She craned her neck. I have to admit that I pushed by a couple people that looked like they were from Claudia's side. Once I got to Kay, I threw my arms around her.

"You look gorgeous!" I exclaimed.

"I'm wearing puce," Kayleigh complained. I laughed.

"You make puce look hot," I assured her. I felt a coat sleeve brush my arm. I turned and smiled happily.

"This is Trevor," I said. He held out his hand and Kay shook it. I could tell by the look on her face that she approved of him.

"Nice to finally meet you," he said.

Kay smiled. "Same here. Brooke's told me oodles."

Trevor looked surprised. My cheeks flamed with embarassment. Kay squeezed my arm.

"As soon as I'm free of the head table I'm hunting you down," she said.

"I would hope so," I said.

At that point, the people still in line got restless and we were shuffled along. I hugged Aunt LeighLeigh and Uncle Bri. Baylee hugged me so tightly he practically lifted me off the ground. And, because I just couldn't help it, I even gave Claudia a hug.

She was Kay's sister-in-law now, whether Kay liked it or not.

As we waited for the rest of the family to catch up with us, Trevor wrapped an arm around my waist.

"This is the biggest wedding I've ever seen," he told me. I smiled.

"The Littrells are experts at big events," I explained.

"Kay's dress is puke!" Landon declared as mom and dad talked to Baylee and Claudia.

"Puce," I corrected.

"PUKE!" Brenna screamed. Landon turned around.

"PUKE!"

"PUKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" they screamed in unison.

"LANDON ANDREW!"

"BRENNA ANN!"

As if on cue, Peyton, Noah, Trevor, and I all took three huge steps away.

"I don't know them, do you?" Peyton asked. Noah and I shook our heads.

"Not at all."

Together we headed back to the rental van. Noah and Peyton got into the van. I was about ready to when I felt Trevor gently squeeze my elbow. I turned.

"I like your family," he said with a smile. I laughed.

"We're kind of a package deal," I explained. His smile widened.

"I like that."

And I liked that he liked that. Between my crazy little brother, Peyton who was already swapping her flats for sneakers, and Noah who seemed in a daze after talking to Kay, we were a mess. And the evening was still young.

I had a feeling that it was going to be an interesting night.
Chapter 44 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Forty Four

"Did I ever mention that I love you for your brains?" dad asked mom as we pulled into the VIP garage at the hotel. Mom laughed.

"You might have mentioned it once. Or twice," she replied teasingly.

While everyone else waited for a spot in the hotel parking lot, we, as guests, got right in. One short elevator ride later, we were at the hall.

"Wow," Trevor said. His eyes widened as he looked around.

As much as Kay complained, there was no denying that Aunt LeighLeigh was born with an eye for the elegant. I wasn't even in the wedding, yet I felt like a princess just walking in the room.

"That cake does not look tasty," Peyton said.

All of us looked over at it. Dad laughed.

"It looks a lot like the one Leigh and Bri had for their reception. Trust me, it's good. It's probably cheesecake."

"I DON'T LIKE CHEESE IN MY CAKE!" Landon screamed. Mom took his flailing hands and knelt down by him.

"Landon, you need to stop screaming," she explained to him patiently. "This is a fancy event and you have to use your quiet fancy voice okay?"

Landon stared at mom. For a split second I seriously thought he was going to yell again.

"Okay," he whispered.

I smiled. Mom could have twenty kids and still be able to handle us all.

"Are you thirsty?" Trevor asked. I smiled.

"A little."

"I am," Noah said. He slapped Trevor's back. "Let's find the bar."

Dad's head swiveled. "You better only try to get non-alcoholic drinks," he warned. Noah grinned.

"What else? A night of Pepsi or Coke is wild and crazy fun! Or maybe I'll really live dangerously and go with some Mountain Dew."

Dad whispered something that sounded like 'smartass.' Noah nudged him good-naturedly and the two guys walked off.

While the guys were gone, I spotted Kay. I tapped mom's arm.

"Kay's here," I said. Mom smiled.

"Okay hun. We're going to go grab a table."

As I walked up to Kay, I had to laugh. She was looking around in utter distaste.

"Did you ditch the shoes?" I asked.

She turned around in surprise.

"Where'd you come from?" she asked with a laugh.

"We're staying at the hotel so we got VIP parking," I explained. Kay nodded. Then she smirked. She lifted her dress and wiggled her bare toes. I grinned.

"BWOOKE, WHERE'S THAT GIWL?"

All of a sudden, I had Landon tugging on the hem of my dress. I looked down at him.

"What girl?"

Landon sighed as if I was just being stubborn. He clung to the fabric of my skirt and swung back and forth. I was just about ready to stop him when on his fifth swing, he paused.

"I SEE HEW!" Landon yelled. I watched as he ran in Brenna's direction.

"HEY GIWL!"

"He's such a pimp," I said with a laugh. I could somehow imagine my dad at that age doing the exact same thing.

"Where's Trevor?" Kay asked.

"Getting drinks with Noah," I said.

No sooner had I said that, when the guys tracked us down.

"One diet Coke," Trevor said. I smiled so hard my face hurt. I took the glass. It was cold and sweaty. It felt heavenly.

"Thank you."

"Diet Coke, Kay?"

Kay looked up at Noah. He held out a cup.

"Thanks," she said.

"KAY!"

Kayleigh turned. Her mom was waving at her.

"Baylee and Claudia just arrived! The wedding party has to line up to get introduced."

"You've got to be shitting me," she mumbled. Noah and I both laughed. Kay handed me her glass.

"Nice seeing ya," she said grumpily.

"It will get better after dinner," I promised. Kay didn't look like she believed a word I said.

Trevor, Noah, and I made our way to the table. I couldn't help but smile when I saw the other guests at our table.

"Uncle AJ!" I said happily. He stood up and we hugged.

"How you doing superstar?" he asked. i laughed.

"Not too bad."

I introduced the whole table to Trevor. Joe gave him a little staredown.

"You haven't seen my band yet," he reminded me. I smiled apologetically.

"I'm sorry. I've been busy. You need to e-mail me your dates."

"He plays at the bowling alleys," Tristan announced. Joe gave him a sharp jab in the side.

"He's not bad," Ally said defensively. She turned around and started to talk to Stefie at the next table. It looked like the McLeans and Carters had one table and the Richardsons and Doroughs had the other.

"So how's life grandpa?" dad teased. AJ smirked.

"I'm waiting for a call about getting back into the studio fuckhead," AJ said. Dad grinned. Landon opened his mouth and mom seemed to sense disaster. She covered his mouth.

"Never repeat anything Uncle AJ says," she explained.

We all laughed.

At that moment, the DJ told everyone to find a seat. A few minutes later the wedding party was announced.

Trevor was on my right and Noah was on my left. I heard a little sigh from NoNo as Kayleigh walked by.

We all stood when Claudia and Baylee walked into the room. I seriously couldn't help but laugh when they released the doves. After months of hearing Kay complain about the things, they were gone in like a second.

Claudia and Baylee made their way to their seats and dinner was served. Landon got really excited when he saw our steaks and lobsters. The server set down a plate of chicken fingers for him.

"I want claws!" he wailed. From the next table over I heard his female counterpart.

"I WANT RICH PEOPLE'S FOOD!"

Uncle AJ was in mid-sip of his water. He covered his mouth quickly and started to cough. Molly slapped his back. Once he stopped choking, he turned around.

"Want some of mine Brenners?"

A second later she was sitting on AJ's lap with a huge white bib around her neck. Landon was sitting on dad's lap. Two happy kids started to dunk lobster meat in butter.

"So Liv, do you think you can top this for Brooke's wedding?" Molly asked. I looked up in surprise. So did Dad.

"She's not getting married until she's fifty," dad said. I laughed.

"Dad."

"Oh, I don't know," mom said. She winked at me. "Sometimes I think it's better if the bride gets to call the shots. I'll just be there for advice."

"There's always Vegas," Uncle AJ said.

"NO!" mom and dad said in unison.

The conversation split up after that. Mom started asking Molly and AJ about Shelby and Mason's December wedding. Peyton and Noah were eating as if they had never eaten before. I was trying my best not to spill any food on me.

I had one hand under the table, keeping hold of my napkin. All of a sudden, I felt Trevor's warm hand on mine. My fork paused mid-air and I looked at him.

"Think I'll be invited to your wedding?" he whispered. I smiled.

"I'll make sure of it," I said. "But if my dad has anything to say about it, that's another thirty-four years away."

Trevor's eyes sparkled. "I have a feeling it won't take that long."

I shook my head. "No. But maybe another ten," I admitted. I didn't want to get married right away. There was way too much of the world to see.

Trevor opened his mouth to say something else, but before he could, I saw something fly up into the air. We all looked up. It was a lobster claw.

"Oops!" Landon said.

It landed right in the middle of the table. Brenna clapped.

I glanced up at Kay. She was greedily drinking down what looked like champagne.

I was going to have to keep my eye on that girl tonight. But even as I said that, I felt Trevor's hand squeeze my knee. Pleasant butterflies began in my stomach.

Something told me that I was going to be easily distracted as the night wore on.
Chapter 45 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Forty Five

After the bride and groom's first dance, the father/daughter dance, and the mother/son dance, people began to flood the dance floor. A slow song started up. I swayed to the melody.

"Liv?" dad asked. He offered his hand. Mom laughed.

"I don't dance."

Dad's eyes twinkled. "We both know that's a lie now, don't we?"

Mom put her hand in dad's and they got up. He spun her around once and then her arms went around his neck. They smiled lovingly at each other.

"Wanna dance?" Trevor asked. I looked at him. He was holding his hand out.

"Absolutely," I said.

We walked out onto the floor. Trevor's arms went around my waist.

"How's your eye?" I asked. It was already turning the odd color that bruises turned as they started the healing process.

"To be honest, I haven't even though about it," he replied. He smiled. "There were too many beautiful things today to distract me."

He looked right into my eyes as he said it. My throat went dry. I put my head on his shoulder lest I did something stupid like pass out or start to giggle uncontrollably.

One slow song gave away to another. After the second song, something a little faster started. We parted from our embrace. I glanced at the head table. Kayleigh was gone.

"I've got to find Kay," I told Trevor apologetically. I shouldn't have felt responsible for her, but I did.

"I'll come with you," he said.

We made our way off the dance floor. It didn't take long to find her. She was getting something to drink at the bar.

"Whatcha got?" I asked as Trevor and I made our way up to her. Kay turned around and grinned.

"Coke," she said.

I leaned over and smelled the glass. Rum.

"Kay..."

"Dad discovered the champagne and cut me off," Kay said morosely. "So..."

"You smuggled rum in?" I guessed. Kay laughed.

"No, I flashed the bartender's son."

Trevor's eyes widened. I groaned.

"Kay..."

"It's fine."

I bit my lip. On one hand, I didn't want her to make a fool of herself. On the other hand, if her parents found her drunk, maybe they'd realize that they needed to pay a little more attention to her. Kay waved her hand in the air.

"You two go have fun. I'm going to dance the night away," she said happily. "When are you flying back?"

"Tomorrow afternoon," I said.

"Well, I'm going to ask mom and dad if I can stay in your room tonight. Then we'll have breakfast tomorrow. Just us girls," Kay said. She glanced over at Trevor. "Sorry."

Trevor smiled tensely. "No problem."

Kay floated away sipping her drink. Part of me was sad that she made it so blatantly clear that she was going to party by herself tonight. The other part of me, the part that was aware of my gorgeous date, was happy.

"How did you guys ever become best friends?" Trevor asked. He ordered drinks for both of us. We watched the carbonated fizzies bounce around the clear cups before they were slid towards us.

"We've been best friends since we were babies," I said with a shrug. "Uncle Bri and dad have always been close and so it was only natural."

"You two are total opposites," Trevor said. I laughed.

"So are Uncle Brian and dad. Uncle Brian's the religious, funny, family guy. Dad was the crazy partier and womanizer. It's like Kayleigh should have been a Carter and I should have been a Littrell." I shook my head; it was an insane thought.

"I see her bad habits haven't rubbed off on you."

Trevor's smile was more relaxed now. I realized he was probably pretty uncomfortable with people drinking since his parents drank so much.

"Only once," I said honestly. "Never again."

We sat down and talked quickly, our heads practically touching. I can't even remember everything we talked about. It was just so easy and relaxing with Trevor.

After we finished our drinks, we went back out to the dance floor. Landon and Brenna were breakdancing (even through slow songs). Joe and Stefie seemed to be having a good time. I was sure I was going to see Ally dancing with Noah, but Ally was sharing a dance with Uncle AJ. Shelby and Mason were dancing so intimately they almost made me blush. Almost. The adults had gathered back at the tables, laughing and carousing amongst themselves.

It seemed like everyone's cares or worries had dissipated, even if it was only for the night. Everything seemed to be moving slowly, but in a good way. In short, the mood was romantic, as it should be at a wedding.

"Do you want to go outside and get some fresh air?" Trevor asked. The way he said it held a hint of perhaps something a little more.

But I wasn't nervous; it was Trevor.

"Sure," I said softly.

His arm came to rest at the small of my back. After dodging a large crowd walking in the opposite direction, we stepped out into a beautiful starry night.

There were a couple groups milling around outside. As if we were of the same mind, we walked around the corner of the building.

A couple benches were set up along the side. Fragrant rose bushes shielded one in particular from view. We sat down and stared up at the sky.

In a matter of just a few minutes we went from staring up at the sky, to staring at each other, to kissing. With anyone else this would have overwhelmed me, but as Trevor's soft lips brushed against my own and his palm cupped my face, I felt as if we actually weren't doing enough. My hand slid down his chest. I draped a leg over his lap. His hand brushed against the bare skin. He stopped when he got to the hem of my dress.

"You're so beautiful," he whispered. Usually that was such a weak come-on line. But I knew he meant it. No strings attached.

I thought about everything Kayleigh had said about sex. For the first time, I wasn't so much in shock and awe as I was curious.

We kissed for a few more minutes. Then I made a split-second decision. I pulled back.

"Let's go back in," I said.

"Already?" Trevor asked. I could see the disappointment in his face. I took a deep breath.

"I want to go to my room."

"Are you sure?"

I smiled. "I'm sure."

He searched my face as if to triple check I wasn't lying. For one horrific moment I was sure he was going to say no. Just when I thought my heart might implode, he nodded.

"Okay."
Chapter 46 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Forty Six

Trevor and I took the elevator up to the third floor, kissing the whole way. We giggled as we tripped out into the hallway. Peyton always talked about adrenaline rushes whenever she was out on the boat and the waves were really bad. I had never truly understood what a rush like that could feel like until just this very moment.

We came to a stop right outside the hotel door. I rooted around in my purse until I found my room key. I swiped it and the door to room 304 gave me the green light.

Even the room approved of what I was about to do. Or at least that's what I imagined.

As the door closed behind us, I wrapped my arms around Trevor's neck. I drank in his gorgeous smile before I kissed him again. His fingers snaked through my hair and I felt the soothing sensation of air against my neck.

I felt a little giddy with anticipation. I had no idea how I had gone from trepidation just a few months ago to ready. Maybe it was the romanticism of the evening or just the fact that I had a slight 'hero complex' where Trevor was concerned. Either way, I wasn't going to dwell. There were more pressing issues at hand.

We clumsily made our way to the bed. I sat down and reclined against the pillows. My hold on Trevor's neck brought him down as well. Our kiss deepened and I shivered at the welcome touch of his tongue along my teeth.

After several long minutes of kissing, I began to welcome the next level. I wondered if Trevor was being so slow because of the incident with Garrett. I decided to be a 'take charge' kind of gal. I reached back and undid the zipper of my dress. I let the top fall.

I held my breath. I had to admit, I was waiting for a mischievous grin or a sound of appreciation. But instead, he sat back. I looked up at him in surprise. Here I was! I was ready! What was going on?

"I'm sorry," he said. "I can't do this tonight."

I swallowed down the protest that rose in my throat. I sat up and wrapped my arm across my chest.

"Why? Is it me?" I racked my brain to think of something I could have done wrong. Sure, I didn't know the whole 'drill,' but I didn't think I had screwed anything up. My brow furrowed.

Trevor looked at me incredulously.

"It's not you. It's just..." he trailed off. "It's just that I feel guilty. I mean your parents got these rooms and they flew me out here and I don't feel right doing this knowing that."

"I can buy another room," I said meekly. He laughed.

"I'm a planner," he admitted. "I want everything to be perfect."

I chewed on the inside of my cheek. I hadn't anticipated this. I appreciated his nobility, but I was only sixteen. The logistics were that my parents still paid for a lot of my stuff even though I did have money coming in. That's just what parents did. I mean, I would feel bad if I was doing drugs and alcohol behind my parents back. But this...

Mom and dad so did stupid stuff like this when they were younger. I knew it. I was a result of it. Sure, they were older, but still...my mom had been married! It was in my blood to be at least semi-reckless. I sighed. Trevor brushed my hair away from my face.

"It will happen," he promised. "But not tonight."

I didn't really know what to say. We both got up. I was disappointed. I was trying hard not to be. But I was.

"You're not mad, are you?" he asked as he sat at the edge of the bed and tied his shoes. I shook my head.

"Of course not."

He stood up, gave me a soft kiss, and took my hand.

A couple minutes later, I turned off the light and we walked out of the room. I closed the door behind me. On reflex, I jumped when I heard the door from the next room over open. I looked over in surprise. I was sure it was going to be dad.

Of course, dad wouldn't believe for a minute that this escapade had been my idea. Trevor was going to be a dead man and---

My eyes widened in disbelief. Noah stepped into the hall and turned. He reached in and a second later his arm was wrapped around (and caressing) Kay's waist. The door clicked shut.

"Kay?" I blurted out loudly.

NoNo and her jumped; they must have been oblivious to the fact that I was standing right there.

I stared at them. I didn't even have to ask them what they had been doing up here. I knew.

I couldn't believe it. My little brother has just lost his virginity. Before me. To Kay. My best friend.

"How could you?" I asked Kay. Her eyes widened.

"Brooke I--"

"It's not her fault," Noah said defensively.

I looked at him. The protectiveness I had for my siblings kicked into full gear.

"Noah, she just used you. Just like all the others," I said sadly. "What number was he, Kay? Sixteen? Seventeen by now?"

A large tear floated down her cheek. A sob escaped from her throat. Her dramatics only made me angrier. I turned my back on them and began to walk towards the elevator.

"I'm telling your mom and dad," I said. "You messed with the wrong guy Kayleigh."

"NO!" Noah and Kay shouted in unison.

Noah flew in front of me, blocking my way to the elevator. He was angrier than I had ever seen him. I gave him my best death stare.

"NoNo, get out of my way."

"Brooke, don't be an idiot."

I bristled. "I'm not the one being an idiot," I said. Tears burned in my eyes. "Noah, she's going to hurt you."

"I can take care of myself. I can handle it."

A thousand thoughts ran through my mind. Once Kayleigh gave NoNo the cold shoulder again, he wouldn't be so confident. He was still probably riding whatever high came with losing your virginity. He had always loved Kay and she had finally used that to fulfill her own sick, twisted needs.

I took a breath. My worst fear was that Kayleigh was standing there knocked up with Carter spawn. Then Noah would be trapped forever.

While Noah and I argued, Trevor hung back watching the whole family drama unfold. An overwhelming feeling of selfishness coursed through me. I could feel my face getting redder and redder.

"I'm going to tell," I finally said. It was the type of statement Landon would make, but I didn't care.

Before Noah could say anything, I dodged him and opened the door leading to the stairs. If he wanted to block the elevator, fine.

He was just going to have to chase me and hope he caught up to me.

Otherwise, I was going to rat them out.

I might feel horrible about it tomorrow, but I would worry about that in the morning.
Chapter 47 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Forty Seven

I flew down the metal stairs. Noah was hot on my heels. The noise we were making was deafening. I was sure the stairwell was going to collapse from our recklessness. I swung my entire body around quickly as I passed the large number two that indicated the second floor and began to pound down another set of stairs.

I was halfway down that set of stairs when I heard what sounded like Noah jumping halfway down. My lead was narrowing. I let out a shriek as his hand reached out and almost grabbed my shoulder. I leaned forward and put everything I had into the run. All of the dancing on tour had put me in pretty good shape.

"BROOKE!" he screamed.

I jumped three steps and landed by the large number one. My hands reached out in front of me and I hit the door full force. My legs pumped faster as we wove through the first floor. I practically knocked down a cleaning lady. I rounded the corner into the lobby and sprinted across it. The twinkling lights and open doors to the hall were straight ahead.

I felt like a long distance runner who had just completed a marathon as I ran into the room. Dad was talking with Howie just feet away. I held out a hand.

"DAD!" I yelled.

That was all I had time to yell. Noah ran into me and we stumbled to the ground. I scrambled up, but he was faster than me. His hand clamped over my mouth. He wrapped his other arm around my waist and hoisted me up into the air. I kicked my legs out in front of me angrily. Dad turned around. His eyes widened in surprise. We were attracting the attention of nearly everyone left in the hall. By the looks of things, the party was almost over.

I brought my right hand up and pressed my nails into his stupid boy arms. Noah stumbled back against the wall.

"What's going on?" dad asked. He marched over. "Noah, put her down."

He put me down, but he didn't remove his gorilla hand from around my mouth. I tried elbowing him. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Trevor walk in. When he saw Noah's hold on me, he headed our way.

"What's going on?" mom asked. She was carrying a totally knocked out Landon in her arms. His face was covered in cheesecake and he was wearing a hat made out of a linen napkin.

At that point, I did the only thing I could think of. I bit into Noah's fingers.

"OW!" Noah screamed. He dropped his hand from my mouth.

"Dad, I went upstairs and caught Noah--"

I didn't have a chance to finish the sentence. Even though I was sure his fingers hurt, Noah still had the insight to turn around and yank the fire alarm.

Water started pouring from the ceiling.

Every single person in the room began to scream. Landon woke up as the water fell on him.

"Is it raining?" he asked drowsily. Peyton ran up. Her face was lit with excitement. This was probably a dream come true for her.

"I NEED A BOAT!" I heard Brenna scream nearby. She scrambled up on top of a chair and was about ready to climb up on the table when Mason grabbed her.

Everyone started running for the exit. The netting, weighed down by the sudden onset of the sprinklers, broke free. It covered some of the people running towards the exit like a huge jungle trap.

"Are you okay?" Trevor shouted at me. I brushed water out of my eyes.

"I've got to find mom and dad!" I shouted.

"I think they already ran out!" he yelled back.

He took off his jacket and tossed it over my head. We ran out of the hall. The staff was directing everyone outside.

Trevor and I walked through the doors. The moment we hit the pavement, I was pulled out from Trevor's makeshift umbrella. I looked up into Noah's angry eyes.

"You're in trouble," I said. "Dad's going to kill you for pulling the fire alarm."

"I don't care. You can not tell them what happened."

I folded my arms. My dress was clinging to me. Water droplets dripped off of my hair.

"Why not?"

The anger drifted out of Noah's eyes.

"Kay's hurting, Brooke," he said softly. "I want to help her."

"You can't," I said. "She's going to hurt you. She will never love you like you love her."

"I don't care. It's my choice to make. You broke her freakin' heart up there Brooke," Noah said.

Now that I was outside in the fresh air feeling like a drowned rat I began to realize that we both might have overreacted a little bit.

"What the hell were you two thinking?"

Noah and I whirled around. Dad was heading towards us looking angrier than I had ever seen him. He never got mad at me.

"Do you realize how much damage you caused?" he asked.

"I'm sorry," Noah said. "I--"

"You two were horrible when you were babies and now you're repeating it fifteen years later," dad said. He turned around. "Come with me."

Noah and I looked at each other and meekly followed dad.

Dad walked right towards Uncle Brian and Aunt LeighLeigh. Poor Aunt LeighLeigh's dress was soaked.

"Here's the two culprits," dad said.

"I'm so sorry," I said quickly.

"I wasn't thinking," Noah said.

Uncle Brian started to smile, but then he caught a look at my dad's face. He tried (and failed) to adopt a stern posture. He started to laugh. Aunt LeighLeigh covered her mouth but I saw her smile. My eyes widened.

"I think that was a nice end to the evening, right Leigh?" Bri asked.

"We like to go out with a splash," she said.

"But--"

"Baylee and Claudia made a grand entrance about twenty minutes ago. They aren't coming back to the hotel until we're gone," Brian explained.

Dad turned to us. "You're not off the hook," he said.

"Before you do your dad thing," Brian said. "Have either of you seen Kayleigh?"

Noah looked at me. I took a deep breath. I saw Trevor hovering close by.

"She wasn't feeling well, so she went up to my room to lay down," I said. I swore I saw Noah's shoulders relax.

"No," Trevor said.

Everyone looked at him in surprise, but before he could say anything else, I saw a couple firefighters come out. One was talking loudly on a walkie.

"No fire, all clear, but we need an ambulance on the third floor. Teenage female. Nonresponsive."

Our whole group turned towards the firefighters. I looked around wildly. I didn't see Kayleigh anywhere. I was sure there weren't many teenage females on the third floor.

I turned towards the door, but Brian and Leighanne were already on their way.

Noah wasn't far behind.

All I could think was...

What have I done?
Chapter 48 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Forty Eight

By the time that I caught up to Brian, Leighanne, and Noah, I was shaking like a leaf. Brian was the first one to scream when he saw her. A firefighter was crouched down beside her doing CPR.

"Stand back," he said before he went back to what he was doing. Brian and Noah began to practically walk in place as if an invisible glass wall had been erected. Leighanne began to bawl hysterically. I knew I wasn't far behind.

I didn't think the CPR was going to help. Blood. It was everywhere. The image burned into my retinas. The smell was strong. Kay was as white as the roses that were scattered underneath her.

It was like a very sick, very wrong version of Romeo and Juliet. It was cruel that someone in such a state should look so damn beautiful.

"Let me through!"

Mason brushed past me. He knelt down next to the firefighter.

I knew he was studying to be a doctor, but he was way too young to have gotten very far yet. Even so, he surveyed the situation with an eagle eye.

"They're slashed the wrong way," he declared. He looked up.

"Noah, Brian...give me your ties."

They both ripped their ties off of their necks and passed them to him. Mason worked quickly. The firefighter kept up the CPR.

"She's got a weak pulse," Mason said.

I pressed my hands to my mouth. I was sobbing like a baby. This was my fault. How could I have said the things I said to her?

I felt strong arms around me. I glanced up in surprise. Dad held onto me tightly. All of the color was drained out of his face. His eyes didn't leave Kay's motionless body. I buried my face into his chest and sobbed. I had no idea where Trevor was; I was just thankful for my dad.

As I clung to dad, the paramedics arrived. Everyone was sandwiched against the wall. I watched helplessly through the blurriness of my vision as Mason ran through his observations.

The medics moved quickly. Kay was slid onto a stretcher and then hoisted in the air. Uncle Brian and Aunt LeighLeigh trailed after it.

As she passed Noah he called out her name loudly. Of course, there was no response. In less than a minute, all that was left were smashed roses, a blood stained carpet, Mason, and the Carters.

"What happened?" dad asked tensely.

Noah seemed incapable of answering. I took several deep breaths. My brain worked furiously to try to even remotely explain this without telling all of Kay's dirty secrets.

"Something happened to Kay in the past," I said slowly. "And her parents don't know."

"What happened?" dad asked. Noah looked at me. I knew he wanted to know as well.

"I can't say."

Dad's eyes darkened. "Brooke, Kay just tried to commit suicide. If she can't help herself, as her best friend, you can help her."

I sighed. I had already totally ruined her life. I knew that telling what I knew couldn't make it any worse. It was pretty rock bottom.

"Kay was raped like a year ago," I said quietly. "Uncle Bri and Aunt LeighLeigh have been so busy with the wedding that she hasn't felt like anyone cares. She's been drinking and...and...having sex with random guys to make her feel better."

I started to sob all over again. "But daddy, I don't think it makes her feel better. I want to help her, but I don't know how."

Noah turned towards the wall, but I saw the pain in his face. Dad wrapped his arms around me again and kissed the top of my forehead.

"I didn't know," Noah said in a strangled voice. Several minutes passed. My tears had soaked through dad's white dress shirt. Noah turned around.

"Dad, I slept with her. Brooke ran into the hall to rat us out," Noah admitted.

"I said some horrible things to Kay," I added in barely a whisper. "I practically called her a worthless tramp. I ran downstairs, Noah followed...and then she...she..."

I couldn't finish the sentence. Dad looked at us in surprise.

I'm pretty sure he would have taken our toddler drama over our teenage drama anyday.

Dad took a deep breath.

"I want you both to go outside and wait with mom, Landon, and Pey. I'm going to talk to the hotel staff about room changes. Once I get that straightened out, we're all going to change."

"But Kay--" Noah said. Dad held up his hands.

"Brian and Leighanne don't need all of us there. We're going to wait here and see what happens. Once we know more we'll go."

Noah's jaw tensed but he shut his mouth. I wiped my face with the back of my hand. We headed towards the staircase at a much slower pace than earlier in the evening. Before I opened the door, Noah stopped. Dad had his arm.

"And later, we need to talk," dad said.

Noah nodded miserably. We walked in silence down to the first floor.

"I didn't know there was a one o'clock at NIGHT!" Landon said. He was weaving back and forth on mom's leg. Brenna was standing behind mom doing an identical weaving pattern.

"DUH! Papa J and I eats ice cream in the night time!" Brenna declared happily. She glanced around. AJ, Howie, and Kevin were huddled around talking. They must have sent the rest of their families back to the hotels.

"PAPA!" Brenna yelled. AJ looked over at her.

"What's up, pumpkin?"

"I WANT ICE CREAM!"

As it turned out, AJ and Kevin took Brenna and Landon for ice cream. Shelby had gone with Mason so that he could wash off all the blood. Howie told mom he was going back to his hotel, but made her promise that dad would call him when we knew more.

"Is Kay going to be alright?" Peyton asked me.

I met mom's worried gaze. I sighed.

"I don't know Pey."

I rubbed my arms. The night wasn't cold; but I felt frigid. As I looked around, I realized someone was missing.

"Mom," I said slowly. "Where's Trevor?"

Mom looked pained. I think she was hoping that I wouldn't notice his absent. "He took a cab to the airport."

My eyes widened. "Why?"

"He didn't say sweetheart. He was on his cellphone and told me that he got a ticket change. He thanked me for having him and left."

"What a jerk," Noah muttered.

In my mind, I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt. This whole evening had ended up being crazy. Maybe he just couldn't handle that.

Maybe...

He couldn't handle me.

-------------------------------------

Twenty minutes later, we were in new hotel rooms. I changed out of my dress and into a crummy, worn pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt. They were my comfort clothes; you know, the kind that should have been thrown away years ago but that are just too warm and familiar to toss away.

"Why did Kay do it?" Peyton asked as she watched me brush out my hair.

I sighed. "It's a long story Pey."

"Is it a bad story?"

I turned around. I couldn't lie to her. "It is."

"Is it as bad as what happened to you with Garrett?" she asked.

"It's worse."

Pey looked down at the floor. "Oh."

I felt bad for her. She wasn't that much younger than I was. If I was in her place watching all this drama unfold, I wouldn't be too excited to grow up.

"I promise I'll tell you the whole story once we know Kay's okay," I promised.

Peyton gave me a tiny smile. "Your life is like a soap opera, do you know that?" she teased.

I couldn't help but return my own small smile. "I know. Truthfully, I'd rather watch one than live one, but what can you do?"

We both shrugged. Pey walked over and grabbed her own brush. Feeling the need for something to do, I took it.

"Sit down. Salon Brooke is back open."

------------------------------

An hour later, Peyton and I had fallen asleep in my bed when I heard a knock on the door.

It was dad.

"I just heard from Brian. She's going to be okay. Since it's so late, he suggested we don't come until tomorrow morning."

I nodded. "Did you tell him what I told you?"

"I did," dad said. I hated the look of pain on his face. "He feels horrible. I wish you could have told me sooner BooBoo."

"I haven't known long," I said. "Just since...my own thing."

Dad ran a hand lovingly across my cheek.

"Get some sleep. I'll see you in the morning."

I kissed his cheek.

"Okay, daddy."

I headed back to bed. I wasn't sure how much sleep I would get. I was thankful that Kay was going to be okay. But okay was a really wide open term. In this case, okay meant alive. But there was more to being alive that breathing.

I hoped she would finally open up. That was the only way she was going to truly heal.

And for the second time in months, I hoped she could forgive me for all of the horrible things I said.

I needed my best friend back.
Chapter 49 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Forty Nine

The next morning, I woke up before Pey. I crawled over her sleeping frame and headed into the shower. The only thing on my mind was Kayleigh. I couldn't imagine how terrified she must have been when she woke up.

If she had woken up yet.

By the time I got out of the shower, Pey was groggily doing a pee dance outside the door. She flew in and slammed the door behind her.

I was tugging a t-shirt over my head with mom walked through the door.

"Morning sweetheart," she said.

"Hi mom."

"Dad just called Uncle Brian. Kay's awake. We won't be able to stay long."

"How is she?"

"As good as can be expected," mom said. She walked over and hugged me. Mom always knew when we needed a hug.

"I hope she doesn't hate me," I whispered.

"She won't," mom assured me. "You know, Mason helped save her life as far as her body goes, but by telling us about everything else, you're helping to save her life by giving her a chance to work through her demons."

That made me feel better. I squeezed mom's arm and I pulled away.

"Where's Pey?" mom asked.

"Bathroom."

At that second I saw Landon run by. He was wearing a big hotel towel around his shoulders and I swore he was carrying a plastic ice cream scoop.

"I'm Captain Split!" he said. But, to someone who didn't live with him, it seriously sounded like he was saying 'I'm Captain Shit!'

Mom's eyes widened. "Let her know she needs to hurry up."

And she took off into the hall.

-------------------------------------

We got to the hospital a little before eleven. Noah and I went to the gift shop.

"A balloon just doesn't seem right," I said.

Noah drifted over to the flower case.

"How about flowers?"

We both pulled out six flowers and combined them to make a dozen. After we were done, we joined everyone else back in the lobby.

"I'm going to take Pey and Landon to the cafeteria," mom said. Landon was clinging to her hand and tugging so hard his bottom was almost on the ground.

"I want grilled cheese," he whined.

Peyton looked like she was going to ask to come, but then she seemed to change her mind.

"I'm hungry too," she said.

We split up at the elevators. We took the elevator up to the seventh floor.

"Now, she's heavily bandaged," dad warned. Noah and I nodded.

"And she might not be able to talk to much. They had to tube her. It's out now, but her throat's probably sore."

I winced.

The three of us reminded me of walking in a processional. Dad got to the door first and rapped three times.

"Come in!" Aunt LeighLeigh called.

Dad walked in and Noah and I followed. Noah was clutching the flowers. His fingers ran over the plastic ring at the bottom nervously. My heart was pounding so hard that my chest ached.

Kay was in bed. She was so pale. Her lips looked red against the pasty whiteness of her skin. Her arms were bandaged almost to her elbows. Her hair hung limply around her face.

"Hey Kay," dad said. He was the first one that walked up to the bedside. He kissed her forehead.

"Hi," she said softly. I had never heard her sound so small and timid. She gave dad a weak smile and then looked back at us. All of a sudden, I seemed incapable of moving. I didn't want to see my best friend like this.

Noah took the initiative and stepped up next. "We got you these," he said. Aunt LeighLeigh hopped up to take them and find a vase. Kay's bottom lip quivered.

"Thanks."

Her eyes came back to me.

"I'm so sorry," I said. I was mortified by how shaky my voice sounded. Kay shook my head.

"I am."

We both burst into tears. Suddenly my legs propelled me forward and I leaned down to give her a hug. Her arms were immobile but I could feel her tears soaking into my hair. Finally I pulled back. We looked at each other.

"I just want you to get help," I said. Kay nodded.

"I know," she whispered.

Dad left to talk to Uncle Brian in the hall. Kay's eyes continue to close for longer and longer periods of time. Noah couldn't stop staring at her bandaged arms. He looked like he wanted to punch something. Even I felt awkward. There was so much to say, but I just couldn't say it right now. Too much had happened in such a short period of time.

"We're flying back home," I said sadly. "But can I call you?"

Kay licked her lips and made a face.

"I'd like that."

"I'll probably butt in every now and then," Noah said. Kay gave him a watery smile.

"Okay."

"Hey guys, we better get going if we're going to catch our plane," dad said from the doorway. He walked back in and gave Kay a hug.

"Let us know if you need anything kiddo," dad said. Kay nodded.

I blinked back a fresh round of tears. Noah hugged her next. As he stepped away, I walked up and leaned down. Kay tilted her head towards my shoulder.

When I stood up, we looked at each other.

There was no need for words.

-------------------------------------------------

Noah and I were pretty quiet on the flight home. When we got home, Noah headed straight up to his room. I dumped my bags in my room and walked into his. He was attempting to hide his bags under his bed so he wouldn't have to unpack.

"Hey."

He looked up at me.

"Hey."

I ran a hand through my hair.

"I just want to say I'm sorry."

He gave the bags one more kick.

"I forgive you."

I put my hands on my hips.

"I forgive you? Wouldn't a 'it's okay' suffice?"

Noah smiled at me.

"You bit my fingers. That's not okay."

"That's because you were swinging me up in the air!"

"That's because you have a big mouth!"

"Why are you so annoying?" I asked.

"Probably because my older sister tried to kill me when I was little!"

I scoffed. "I did not."

"When you turned four you tried to run me over with your pink Malibu Barbie Jeep."

"You were in my way!"

"And when I was five you tried to run my hand through the Play-Doh maker!"

"You shoved my purple Play-doh up your nose!"

We both started to laugh.

"I hate you."

"I hate you too."

I sat down beside him on his bed.

"You think Kay's really going to be okay?" Noah asked.

I brought my knees up to my chest and wrapped my lanky arms around them.

"I think so. It's just going to take time."

Noah put his arm around me and hugged me. We sat there for a couple minutes.

"It smells like fries in here," I said. Noah grinned.

"I think I dropped some under my bed like three months ago."

I jumped up. "GROSS!"

He started to laugh. I headed towards the door. I was almost out when I paused. I turned to look at him.

"If you want to have any chance with Kay in the future, you better clean up. She doesn't like slobs," I said. I took a little pleasure in watching his eyes widen.

I headed back to my room. I had tossed my phone on the dresser. It was vibrating like mad. I ran to it, but it stopped before I could answer. I checked my missed calls.

Trevor had called three times in a row.

I didn't know whether to take that as a good sign or a bad sign.

The only way I was going to know was to call him back.
Chapter 50 by evergreenwriter83
Chapter Fifty

"Hey Trevor."

"Hey Brooke."

He sounded funny; almost like he was talking underwater.

"We need to talk," he added almost as an afterthought.

I sat down on the bed. I had a bad feeling. My mom would say it was my woman's intuition working overtime.

"I was surprised you flew back," I said. I picked at a hole that I had been working on in the worn knee of my favorite pair of jeans. The fibers were so thin that I could press the tip of my nail directly into my flesh.

"Yeah, that's part of what I wanted to talk about," Trevor said. He gave a heavy sigh.

"What's the other part?" I asked. I figured it was best to lay it all out on the line first, kind of like ripping a bandaid so you got all the pain over at once.

"Your dad filed a report against my dad because of my black eye," Trevor said.

My eyes widened. "He did? When?"

"I don't know. Obviously sometime after we landed in Atlanta."

"What happened?"

"I had to come home and get questioned," Trevor said.

"What happened after you did that?" I asked.

"Nothing."

"Nothing? Why?"

"Because it was just a stupid accident."

I snorted in disbelief. "Trevor, you said--"

"Listen, Brooke. If my dad's not here, then there's no one to help mom with the other kids except me."

"But it doesn't sound like he's doing a good job anyhow," I pointed out. "A good dad wouldn't give his son a black eye."

"There's more to the situation than what you know."

"Then tell me. I want to know. Trevor, I think your dad's dangerous. I don't want you hurt."

"Well, your friend Kay is dangerous and look how much she's hurt you."

I frowned. "Kay's not dangerous. And she didn't hurt me. Not really. I overreacted. You don't know her. After you left--"

"I know her. She's like a million other girls at the white trash high school I went to before we moved. The only difference is she's got money. But a slut is a slut no matter how nice of clothes they wear."

A rush of anger coursed through me. "Trevor, that's a horrible thing to say."

"Brooke, I like you. A lot," he said. "But when you break it down, the only reason there's even a you and me is because I helped you when you needed help."

"Maybe that's how it began, but that's not all there is," I argued. "And my dad was only trying to help you. He likes you. I like you. We want to help you because you need help," I explained.

He laughed softly. "I don't need help."

"But--"

"I don't think I can handle being in a relationship with you right now," he said harshly. "There's too much going on. You have an amazing family and you're a really nice girl, but we're too different."

Tears sprang to my eyes.

"How are we different?"

"Brooke, we just are."

I bit down hard on my bottom lip.

"Are you breaking up with me?" I finally asked.

He took forever to answer. When he did, it was the answer I knew he was going to give.

"Yes. I'm sorry."

"Me too," I said quietly. My heart was threatening to break, but I wasn't ready to let it do it. I decided to let my impartial business side take over for a second.

"Do you still want to do the music video for the duet?" I asked.

"I...I don't think so," he said. His voice seemed shaky.

"Alright, well..." I trailed off. I raised my eyes heavenward.

Why me?

"I gotta go," Trevor said.

"Hm? Oh, yeah. Me too," I lied.

"Okay well...I hope you have a good tour."

"You too," I whispered.

We hung up and I tossed my phone on the floor. I flopped back against my pillows and just stared up at the ceiling.

I guess I just wasn't cut out for relationships.

------------------------------------------

I was still laying on my bed two hours later when dad came in to let me know dinner was ready.

"You okay?" he asked. I turned my head.

"Trevor broke up with me," I said.

Dad walked into the room. He pulled out my desk chair and straddled it.

"Oh BooBoo, I'm sorry. Did he say why?"

"Well, he was mad that you put in a complaint about his dad."

"Are you mad about that?" dad asked.

I puckered my lips. I didn't have to think very long. I sat up.

"No, I think you did the right thing. Kids shouldn't have to live around someone like that," I said.

Dad nodded. "You're right."

"I also don't think he liked what happened with Kay," I said. "He told me we're too different and that there's too much going on."

Dad reached out and tugged at my hair.

"Maybe he's right on that point. You know, it's hard to have a long distance relationship. Especially when you're only sixteen," dad said softly.

I was mortified when I felt a tear drip down my cheek.

"But can't I have it all? Can't I have my music >and a boyfriend? You have music and mom."

Dad smiled. "It took me thirty years to find her."

I groaned. "Thirty is forever away."

Dad laughed. "It gets here sooner than you think." He stood up and held out his hand to me.

"It's going to be okay, sweetheart. C'mon down to dinner."

I took his hand and hopped off my bed. Dad dropped my hand, wrapped an arm around my shoulders, and squeezed me.

"It's going to take a very special guy to win you, babe," he said.

"Will he have to pass the dad test?" I teased.

Dad's eyes twinkled.

"He's going to have to pass the Brooke test first," he said.

That made me smile. So far no one had made it all the way through the Brooke test. It was tougher than the SATs.

I couldn't even begin to imagine what type of guy might make it to the end, but I wasn't going to stop looking. Even if it took me another fifteen years.

I wanted the same type of love mom and dad had.

I wouldn't settle for less.
Epilogue by evergreenwriter83
Epilogue

"You've got to call me every day. Even if it's the middle of the night."

"I will."

"And make sure your dad stays out of trouble."

I laughed.

"I'll try."

Mom wrapped her arms around me and squeezed me tightly.

"Aunt Angel will take your dad's place in a month. I want you to listen to her just like you would me or your dad."

I smiled. "I will," I said patiently.

Mom stepped back and looked at me.

"Don't cry," I warned. She turned her head.

"That's a hard thing to ask of me BooBoo."

"Hey, can I play with your video games while your gone?" Peyton asked. She snuck up behind me and wrapped her arms around my waist. I smiled.

"Yeah, just be careful. Don't let Landon play with it."

"Why? I'm a big boy!" Landon protested. He jumped up on the chair that I was standing next to and began to bounce. Mom caught him mid-leap right before he ended up tackling me. He giggled as mom flipped him upside down.

"Are you going to kiss your sister goodbye?" she asked.

"I wanna go!" Landon said. Mom flipped him right side up.

"No."

"Why?"

"Cause I'd miss you too much," mom said lovingly. Landon stretched out his arms and wrapped them around my neck. He made his best fish face and kissed me noisly.

"Bye Book!" he said.

"Be good for mom," I said. He just grinned impishly. Mom put him down and he scampered off.

"Hey goldie!"

I turned. Noah was halfway down the stairs. I self-consciously touched my hair. After a marathon session with my stylist yesterday, I had changed my nearly white blonde hair to a beautiful deep golden blonde. Noah had been calling me Goldilocks since I walked through the door.

"Catch!"

He pulled back his arm and something small flew through the air at me. I jumped up and caught it. When I opened my fist, I saw a small memory card.

"Is this your next hit?" I asked. Noah jumped down the last three stairs.

"Maybe," he said. I hugged him tightly. It was so weird that my younger brother was taller than me. I missed the days when I towered over him.

"Well, you better save all your good stuff for me to record," I said. He laughed.

"If you're lucky, I will. But you can't call me NoNo in public," he warned. I stepped back and smiled up at him.

"I will never stop calling you NoNo," I said. His eyes sparkled goodnaturedly.

"I think we're ready BooBoo," dad announced. "I got the last of the bags on the bus."

The tour bus was parked outside of our house. Half of the neighborhood was outside gawking at it.

"Alright," I said softly.

Dad made his rounds. He hugged Noah. He kissed Pey. Landon tackled his legs and wouldn't let go until dad tickled him and forced a kiss on his messy hair.

The last person he said goodbye to was mom.

"Bye mama," he whispered.

"Be careful," mom said. Dad's arms went around her.

"I will. Don't take any baths while I'm gone."

Mom's eyes sparkled. "Will you ever let me live that down?"

Dad grinned. "Never."

They kissed so passionately that they made me blush. When dad pulled away he leaned in for more. Mom put her palms on her chest. He took her hands and kised them before stepping towards me.

"Have fun!" mom called.

"Remind everyone your amazing brother wrote Chaotic!" Noah called.

"Take pictures of anything weird!" Peyton yelled.

The three of them followed dad and I outside. I stepped on the bus and looked back at them.

Mom was already crying. That made me start to cry. Dad wrapped his hand around my shoulder. He looked like he was trying not to cry.

"Getting on the bus the first time is the hardest part," he reminded me.

"But it doesn't get any easier," I complained. Dad smiled softly.

"On the count of three. One...two..."

On three we both ran up the steps. I ran over to the couch and pressed my face to the window. I cranked it open.

"Love you!" I called.

"Love you too!"

Five minutes later the bus roared to life. Landon (with mom following after him) ran alongside it.

"I wanna go!" he screamed. "I wanna GO!"

Mom finally ended up tackling him. The bus rounded the corner and Landon's screams faded away.

Dad sat down beside me on the couch. The wind whipped through the open window and tossed my hair around.

"You ready?" dad asked. "The venues are going to get bigger. The crowds will be louder," he warned.

A thousand excited butterflies came to life in my stomach. My homesickness gave way to my ingrained desire to perform. I closed my eyes and smiled.

"I'm ready," I said breathlessly.

"Bring it on."


THE END


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


When Brooke Carter embarks on a whirlwind tour, the last thing she expects to do is fall for Nate, her sexy new photographer and web tech. To make matters worse, just when her love life starts to heat up, someone else reappears to shake things up. Will Brooke make the right choice in the messy game of love?

Find out in the exciting sequel, Heartbreaker. Click here to start reading!
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10261