Just Breathe by summer03
Summary:
Life is short and sometimes you have to live it. But what if you can't see it? Till someone comes along and shows you?


********On hiatus*********
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Group
Genres: Angst, Drama, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: No Word count: 24837 Read: 28592 Published: 09/15/10 Updated: 03/11/11

1. New neighbor by summer03

2. Gardening... by summer03

3. Themed days? by summer03

4. Epiphany by summer03

5. Curiosity… by summer03

6. Befriend... by summer03

7. Irish? by summer03

8. Insinuations. by summer03

9. Detective McLean? by summer03

10. Easily persuaded. by summer03

11. Dreaming by summer03

12. Oops! by summer03

13. Remorse… by summer03

14. FOR SALE by summer03

15. The Truth by summer03

16. HOME by summer03

17. Broken... by summer03

18. Arrival... by summer03

19. Dedication + Shock by summer03

20. Why are you here? by summer03

21. Platonic... by summer03

New neighbor by summer03
Author's Notes:
So I keep getting this idea in my head and so here is the first chapter let me know what you think.
Alex awoke to the sound of a truck pulling up somewhere in his neighborhood. He turned to his left and saw his fiancée still fast asleep. It was lazy day for the both of them. He was unwinding from tour and recuperating from his knee surgery.

Curiosity got the best of him though and so he walked to the window and took a peek. He was a little surprised to see Mr. Johnson commanding movers in and out of his house. It was weird really because if Alex remembered correctly Mr. Johnson had welcomed him to this neighborhood and many times had mentioned he would never sell his home.

Knowing it would still be a while before his monkee woke up he walked slowly down the stairs and out the door. “Hey Phil,” he greeted his neighbor as he wobbled toward the wire fence that separated there yard. “Moving after all?” he asked.

“Yeah I got an offer doubling what the house is worth now. So couldn’t resist besides the wife wants to travel to Europe so the heck why not, maybe another family can make this house warm and inviting. How’s the knee?” the old man but built due to his years as being a coach a football coach to be exact.

“It’s there, so you got a good offer then.” Alex said eyeing the house. It was one of the nicest houses in the neighborhood aside from his and a few more.

“Yeah some crazy lady was house shopping and they were showing her some house down the street but when she saw mine she fell in love with it. She knocked on my door and I happened to be home running late for practice,” he chuckled a little. “Yeah so then her real estate agent asked me if I would be interested in selling the house. I of course said no and the woman cleared her throat and gave an offer. My mouth literally almost touched the floor… I saw the look on her face and the next thing I knew I had a deal.”

“Wow,” Alex said hearing the story. “I am going to miss you Phil.”

“Me too McLean,” Phil said as he smiled. “But its time for me to move on anyway my kids are in college, its just me and Katy now so why not sell it?”

“I totally understand, but your still coming to my wedding right?” Alex asked him.

“Of course wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

******

“Really so he’s gone,” Rochelle asked in disbelief as she prepared a snack for Alex and her.

“Really… he sold his house.” He said as he grabbed a grape and ate it.

“I wonder how our new neighbor looks like,” Rochelle said mischievously as she looked out the kitchen window. “Holy shit she has a nice car that I can say a classic.”

Alex stood up and gawked at the ford mustang it was yellow with black. “I bet it’s a 69,” Alex said and then he was startled a tall redhead smiled at him and waved. “Shit she saw us.” He said waving back slightly.

“Well now we can’t just pretend like we don’t exist can we?” Rochelle said grabbing Alex’s hand and pulled him out the house.

Right behind the mustang was a smart car parked. Rochelle giggled as she pointed it out. “She’s green friendly.”

“HI,” Rochelle and Alex jumped a little as they heard the voice.

“Hi,” Alex said smiling a little as she saw her come out of the house a rag in her hand. “I’m Alex and this is my fiancée Rochelle,” he said politely.

“Hi, I’m Daphne,” she smiled at them. “So you like my baby? I saw you eyeing it, you can borrow it when ever. I usually use Herb anyway.” She said as she pointed to the smart car.

“Ok,” Alex said a little baffled she was super jolly.

“Wow nice body art,” she said as she pointed to the both of them.

“Thanks,” Rochelle said. “Do you have any?” she asked.

“Yeah a dandelion on my back and a couple more.” She winked at her.

“Oh I see, so we just thought we would welcome you to the neighborhood. If you need anything we live here we’ll gladly help when we are here anyway.” Rochelle said with a smile.

“I’ll keep that in mind, but I am quite a good handyman myself.” Daphne said giggling as she saw her monkey come out of the house and crawled up to her shoulders. “Oh I’d like you to meet George.”

“George,” Alex said a little awkwardly as he eyed the monkey who was busy chewing on a banana.

“Yeah like curious George? I loved those books when I was younger.” She said.

Alex was in trance as he heard her she talked very animated. “Well we’ll let you get settled then.” He said as he pulled Rochelle away and back into there house.

Not before Rochelle waved to Daphne, “Nice meeting you and George.” She began to laugh as she got in. “She has a monkey as a pet!” she continued to laugh.

Alex began to laugh too… wait till the guys hear about my new neighbor. He too began to laugh, “Well she looks like she is enjoying life you have to give her that.”

“True,” Rochelle said.
Gardening... by summer03
The first week was uneventful and Alex only saw Daphne a couple of times as she drove off in her smart car. But Rochelle had actually been to her house and had described her as being artistic, “You should see her house, she changed it completely. The walls Alex they are all different she is painting each wall differently. It’s unique and beautiful.”

Alex chuckled as she continued to describe there new neighbor. “I cut her hair she asked me to.” She said as she leaned in and kissed him.

“You smell like monkey,” Alex said laughing as Rochelle pinched him.

“I do not,” she said kissing him again.

“So do you think we have time for a little sexy time?” Alex asked as he began to rub her back.

“I wish but…” Rochelle said with a pout. “I have to be at the airport by three.”

“Fine but you really can’t cancel with your parents?” Alex asked.

“I can’t… this is important it’s my last trip with them as a single woman. I will meet you in Miami for the cruise.”

“I suppose that will have to do then.” Alex said capturing her lips with his again. “Do you want me to go with you?”

“No your knee needs to heal so you can go back to your recording.” Rochelle said as she kissed him again. “I’ll call you when I land in Colorado.”

She stood up and went to the room they shared to get her things. She had packed everything two days ago.

*******

Alex smiled as he saw his dogs run wild outside the yard. He finished his smoke and that’s when he saw Daphne in some shorts and a tank busy planting. He walked toward the fence and cleared his throat. “Usually we buy poison to kill them and you are planting them in your yard?”
“Yeah people are cruel.” Daphne answered as she took off her gardening gloves. “For me there a source of food and beauty.” She said as she grabbed a puff ball and blew at it making its seeds fly against the breeze.

“Food?” Alex said curiously.

“Yes it’s actually good in salads.” Daphne said. “SO is Rochelle gone?”

“Yeah left earlier today.” Alex said as he watched her take of her straw hat her hair falling down her shoulders.

“Man it’s pretty warm for a September day.” Daphne said as she looked up at the sun. “I’d love to have you over for dinner sometime; I’ll make my dandelion salad.”

Alex was caught of guard as she smiled at him. “Sure why not, there’s always a time to try to new things.”

Daphne giggled again and then she stared at him, “So what happened to your leg?”

“Oh it’s actually my knee… I had surgery on it.”

********

After hanging up with Rochelle that night Alex laid back down his plush bed. He had had a very interesting afternoon talking to Daphne. He had even agreed on lunch for tomorrow to try the dandelion salad.

He began to doze off when he heard noise he walked to his window and looked out. That is when he caught Daphne climbing some latter up to the roof. He couldn’t take his eyes off her she was just so weird.

She had bought the house for more than it was worth and now there she was climbing the roof with backpack on her back. It well past nine in the night, he was glad his lights were off.

He chuckled a little as he saw her monkey climb right behind her. What was she doing? He watched her extend a blanket on the roof and than sitting on it. She than proceeded to drink something… he was watching intently and then she was meditating her legs crossed Indian style. She took deep breaths and then she began to hum it was a low hum but with a melody.

He smiled as he realized it was a melody to some song… he didn’t realized how long he had been there watching till the monkey made eye contact with him. He began to make noises pulling Daphne from her concentration. “Shit,” he said and ducked on the floor.

“Fuck,” he said when he felt the pain on his knee. “What the fuck were you doing Alex?” he asked himself as he lay there on his carpet.
Themed days? by summer03
Alex was preparing to drive to the studio for some work. As he stepped he was caught off guard as he saw Daphne in tight boot cut jeans a plaid shirt, cowboy boots and hat. She was dancing and she was humming as she looked through her mailbox.

“But that won’t keep me warm in the middle of the night…. That don’t impress me much.” Daphne sang as she went through the mail. She jumped in surprised when she saw her neighbor smiling at her.

“Shania Twain fan?” Alex asked as he watched her turn off her Ipod, popping her earphones out of her ears.

“Only when I am dressed as a cowgirl.” She said tipping her hat. “Today is cowboy day!” she giggling.

“Heading to a rodeo?” Alex asked.

“Hmmm… no but that sounds good. I was actually going to head to this horse ranch just outside the city… ride a horse.” She said as she stared up at the sun. “Wanna join me? Unless you’re afraid of riding horses.”

“I actually was heading into work…besides with the knee I really can’t ride a horse.” Alex said eyeing her curiously.

“Suit yourself sometimes its not about riding the horse, it’s about forgetting the now and dreaming the future.” She said as she took a deep breath her eyes looking up into the sun. She whistled and out came George with a little cowboy hat and a red handkerchief around his neck.

She opened her car door and George climbed in as she went to lock the door. She eyed Alex one more time… “last chance?” she said.

He really didn’t feel to creative to really concentrate at the studio so he took a deep breath, “Ok,” he said exiting his gate and walking to hers she opened the gate and he walked up to the smart car. “I hope I fit.”

“Trust me you’ll fit,” she said as she disappeared back into her house. She came back a few minutes later with a black cowboy hat. “The cap has to go your going to be a cowboy today.” She said handing him the hat.

“Are you fucking serious I haven’t worn a cowboy hat since … well a long time ago?” He said as he took the hat and held it in his hands.

“Well I always thought you looked cute with your different hats even the cowboys hat.” Daphne said as she turned the car and began to back out of the driveway.

“What?” Alex asked as he realized what she had said.

“What? I have my teenybopper era too… Backstreet has been my favorite. I used to fight with my friend Janelle because she loved Nsync…ugh.” She said making a funny face.

“So you’ve known who I’ve been all along?” Alex asked baffled.

“Well yeah… what you expected me to be ogling you and planning on seducing you or what?” she asked laughing.

“Well not exactly like that… its just I didn’t even get a vibe that you liked my music.” Alex said taking off his cap and putting on the hat.

“Yeah well I tend to through people off… Besides I didn’t say you guys were still my favorite… you just on the top ten.” She said smiling at him as she turned on the radio.

Aerosmith’s Pink began to play and Alex laughed, “What are your top ten?” he asked.

“Lets see… if I remember correctly from the last time I reevaluated that.” She said biting her lip. “I’ll go from ten to one.” She said as she bobbed her head to the song, “Muse, The Killers, Nirvana, Blue October, Coldplay, Backstreet boys…” she rolled her eyes as she said that one. She giggled and continued, “Red hot chili peppers, Rascal Flatts, Incubus, and Aerosmith.”

“It’s quite a list… more rock than anything.” He said.

“Hey we’re talking about bands right? IT would be slightly different if you would have said artist’s.” she said.

“True do I want to get you started on the other list?” Alex asked laughing. He liked Daphne she was weird but she was fun to be with.

“No not today maybe some other day…” she said as she put the volume up as Nirvana began to play…

“So where exactly are we going?” Alex asked as he looked out of the window realizing they were leaving LA’s city limits.

“You’ll see…” she said a smirk on her face. “George loves this place right George?” she asked the monkey who sat in the middle moving to the song or more like banging his head.


“Why a monkey?” Alex asked as George stuck his tongue out to him.

“Why not a monkey?” she asked him.

“I don’t know I would’ve just thought a dog or cats are more of home pets?” he said.

“Yeah well monkeys are smarter… besides I rescued George from… a circus.” She whispered the last word. “He can’t hear that word if not he will go a wall!” She said.

“When was this?” Alex asked.

“Four months ago in Rio de Janeiro… I wish I could’ve have rescued all the animals.” Daphne said her face turning a little angry as she remembered. “He’s clean I made sure he got his shots and everything.”

“Wow…” Alex said as he stared at George who was now sucking on his finger.

“I like dogs though… I have one back at my parent’s home. A poodle…” she said smiling again.

“Where are you from anyways?” Alex finally asked.

“I’m from everywhere… I don’t have a home since two years ago… I just live where I want to live. But if you must know I was raised in a small town called Portage in Wisconsin… very small.” She emphasized the size with her fingers.

“Why you choose LA for now?” Alex asked and then he saw her face turn slightly sad.

Daphne cleared her throat and smiled again but the smile didn’t touch her eyes. “I want to see how it feels to live like the rich and famous.”

Alex laughed and then cleared his throat, “It’s not all it is pictured to be trust me I should know.”

“Well that is because you are only seeing the negative part of it all…” she said as she finally took an exit to a deserted road.

“I don’t only see the negative,” Alex said defensively.

“Ok fine…” Daphne said as she looked toward the front smiling as she saw the sign to the Ranch come into sight.

“We’ll argue later about that when we’ve known each other or over five days at least.” She said as she slowed down.

She parked and opened the door, “Ok cowboy lets go.” She told Alex as she held to her cowboy hat. George quickly climbed up to her shoulder.

Alex only took a deep breath as he saw the ranch it was a sight to see and the day was really nice for horse riding to bad he couldn’t. “Alright Yeehaw!” he said laughing when he saw Daphne laughed.

“I would love to see you when we dress hippie style.” Daphne said laughing.
End Notes:
Ok here is another chapter bare with me it will begin to get interesting trust me... :)
Epiphany by summer03
Alex laughed as he saw George hanging from the tree, the tree where he sat next to Daphne. He took another bite from his watermelon as he watched Daphne dig out some pills. “You’re sick?” he asked her regretting it as soon as he saw the pained look on her face.

She laughed nervously and took a gulp of her water as she swallowed her pills. “Well they are more like vitamins to make me stronger.” She said nervously as she took another gulp of water.

“Oh,” Alex said eyeing her.

“Isn’t it beautiful out here?” she asked as she looked out into the field. It was still pretty green… she stood up and ran into the grassy field twirling. “Sometimes I want to be the wind… I want to feel my way through everything.” She smiled and laughed as George imitated her, he began to twirl too.

“Yeah it’s beautiful…” Alex said smiling as he saw her. “I can’t believe I hadn’t heard about this ranch before.” He said as he finished his watermelon.

“Well maybe it’s because your to busy making everyone else happy.” Daphne said as she removed her plaid shirt and revealed a deep purple tank. “Life is short Alex sometimes you have to put your foot down and do what you want.”

“It’s not that easy…” Alex said.

“Yes it is try it and you’ll see just how liberating it is. Maybe you can start by finally releasing your solo album here in the US… dammit it is wicked. I loved it… even though I did have to order it all the way from Japan.”

Alex’s smiled widen, “you have my CD?” he asked.

“Yes… and Nick’s solo too. OH and you can’t forget Brian’s.” she said as she peeled a banana for George. “I told you have a teenybopper spirit inside of me still.”

He chuckled and cleared his voice, “do you have a favorite?”

Daphne pretended to think… “I hate it when you’re gone and London are my two favorites. What if comes third…” she said, “George likes Drive by love…” she giggled as George offered some banana to Alex. “You better take it he gets hurt easily.”

“Why thank you George,” Alex said taking a piece and pretended to eat it. “So you travel then?”

“I guess you can say that,” Daphne said smiling. Her smile was contagious most of the time. “See two years ago I got an epiphany so I made a list of what I wanted to do before I die… thanks to my grandpa’s will and his large inheritance I was able to do it.”

“Well you’ve must have a very long list if you started so early… I mean you can’t be more than twenty three.” Alex said.

“Twenty five…” Daphne corrected as she pretended to be interested on one of the buttons on her shirt.

“So Brazil was on your list?” Alex asked.

“Yeah, I got to learn Samba… it was a very nice experience. Just like Peru and Mexico.” She said.

“I’m sure you got to experience it better than when we went… we got mobbed by fans it was crazy. What else do you have on that list?”

“Many things…” she said arching her eyebrow. “We should head back,” she said standing up and stretching her hand to him to help him up.

“Thanks,” he said as he stood up. He jumped a little when George climbed up to his shoulder hugging his face. “Awe George is starting to like me.”

“I think he’s definitely warming up to you.” Daphne said as she picked up everything and put it back to the basket she had brought them in.

********

It was dark when they had finally arrived to her house. She turned off the engine and gave Alex warm smile. “Sorry for making you skip a day from work. You should stay away from me I am bad influence.”

“I chose to follow…” he chuckled. “I think I am more of a bad influence than you.”

“Don’t try to live up to what people think you are… we all know your not like they paint you to be.” Daphne said. “Well thank you for accepting my invitation then maybe next time you can go with Rochelle. Hopefully by then you can actually ride a horse… not just sit there and watch only.”

“I bet Rochelle would like to go there…” Alex said smiling as he for the first time thought about his fiancée in the whole day.

“Who the fuck is that?” Daphne asked as she squinted toward her porch catching the figure of someone in the dim light of her front porch.

“Maybe we should call security.” Alex said.

“No…” Daphne gasped as she saw the figure clearer. “It’s my brother.” She opened the door and ran into the arms of the man. “Everett.” She squealed.

“Daph…” Everett said hugging her. He let her go when someone cleared there throat. “Who’s that?”

“Oh right… Everett this is my neighbor Alex.” Daphne said pointing to Alex.

“Hi,” Alex said walking up to him and extended his hand.

Everett took his hand and shook it. “Nice to meet you.”

“Same here, I should head back to my house. I’ll see you around Daphne and thanks again for today.” Alex said as he turned to walk toward his house.


He was smiling as he sat in his porch smoking, he could hear Daphne and her brother giggling and laughing. He didn’t know how long he was there… but then the laughs turned into arguments. He realized Daphne was beyond angry something he just couldn’t picture from her. “Maybe I should go see if she’s ok.” He told himself as he began to walk toward the fence.

He was almost there when he stopped in his tracks to hear what was being said. “Daph… I am not leaving without you. Mom is worried.”

“No,” Daphne said with gritted teeth. “I want to do this… I’m fine. I told her I would call when it was time…”

“Daph maybe you won’t even have time to call. You don’t have a set time to…” Everett stopped talking when he saw the shadow of Daphne’s neighbor. He pointed toward him and Daphne turned to see him.

Alex cleared his throat, “I’m sorry I didn’t mean to interrupt but I think I must have left my wallet in your car. “I couldn’t find it maybe it fell in there.”

Daphne cleared her throat, “Oh let me check.”
Curiosity… by summer03
Author's Notes:
I'm on a roll today... two chapters today. I do hope to get some opinions here. Enjoy.
Daphne walked toward the window and drew the blind shut… she didn’t want to see the sunlight today. She stared at herself she was paler than normal. She shivered and she saw the sweat around her forehead. “Ugh,” she said as she walked to the medicine cabinet in her restroom.

“You ok?” Everett asked as he walked into her room. “Oh my god you look really bad… maybe we should take you to the hospital.”

“No, its just part of my illness… it will pass. My oncologist can’t do more… besides I’ll see him in two days for my treatment.” Daphne said as she downed her pills.

“Daph just come home we miss you and want to be with you.” Everett said.

“Everett please….” Daphne said walking to him and hugging him. “I can’t I want to do this…. I spent my first six years with all of you… just hoping it would go away. It didn’t now I just want to enjoy whatever I have left… let me have that.”

“Maybe I should stay with you or mom could come down here.” Everett said.

“NO!” Daphne said. “Most of the time I am fine… its rare when I get like this and well after therapy I look like shit too.” She gave him a weak smile. “I just need to rest… will you just feed George for me? I should be fine just give me a couple of hours of sleep. Then we’ll go out… before you head back home.” She said sternly.

“Hey is your neighbor who I think it is?” he asked as Daphne made it back to her bed.

“You know me to well…” She said giving him a weak smile.

Everett shook his head and smiled, “Daph you can’t make him fall in love with you… besides I thought you said he was engaged.”

“I know… I gave up on that long time ago. It’s more complicated than that.” She told him. “I just want to get to know the real him…”

“Your only hurting yourself Daph.” Everett said.

“No… I am not I am helping someone. Don’t worry about me Everett I have nothing else to loose…”

********

Alex groaned as he saw the clock. His phone ringing too… “Hello.” He said as he sat up.

“Hey you… I miss you.” Rochelle’s voice floated through the phone.

“Hey Monkee…” Alex said yawning. “I miss you more.”

“So I finally got my niece to accept to be the flower girl… she is going to look so cute.” Rochelle gushed, her smile evident with the tone of her voice.

“That’s great… about the wedding do you still need to meet the wedding planner for you tomorrow?” Alex asked.

“Yes she knows your going to be there instead of me. Oh and FYI remember she is a fan so try not to smile at her too much she might faint or something.” Rochelle giggled.

“Ok I won’t,” Alex chuckled. “Or maybe I can take Nick with me for a better distraction.” He said smiling evilly.

“No you won’t get done with anything if you do that!” Rochelle said.

“True… babe I have to let you. I just woke up and I need a shower. I want to head to the studio to work Death of Adam…” he said as he saw the time.

“Yeah ok, I just wanted to hear your voice.” Rochelle said.

“You beat me to calling… I love you,” he said.

“Love you more.” Rochelle said before making a kissing noise.

Alex only smiled and sighed, “bye my Monkee.” He said and then she was gone. He got up and headed for the well deserved shower.

*********

Alex turned off the engine to his car and as he got out of the garage he looked toward her house. It looked so lonely, he hadn’t seen her all day. Or maybe it was just because he had left most of the day to the studio.

He smiled as he remembered her smile a very contagious smile. He turned to walk into his house. That’s when he saw Everett her brother get into the smart and drive away.

He shrugged and went inside… after preparing himself a sandwich he turned on the TV. He still couldn’t help but wonder what they were arguing about the night before. He knew it was none of his business… but that still didn’t mean he wasn’t curious.

He sighed when he felt one of his dogs paw on his leg, “Potty time,” he said standing up and opening the door for them. He smiled as he saw them run free.

He heard the car come back in and curiosity got the best of him so he went to the front of the house to peek. He was back with a bag; he opened the door and out came George. He chuckled when he heard Everett curse, “Stupid monkey get your ass back in here.”

But George was up and on the roof of the porch. That’s when he saw Daphne come out wrapped in a blanket her hair a mess, “George come to mommy.” She called but George was just shaking his head.

He watched her shrug but it looked like it was causing her pain. “Just I’ll leave my window open he’ll get in later.” He heard Daphne say as she walked back in closing the door.

*********

Alex was sleeping on the couch when he felt the tap on his window. He jumped started and then he heard it again. He looked out of it and smiled when he saw George smiling at him. “George what are you doing here?” he asked as he opened the window and George came in like it was his house.

He chuckled as he followed the monkey to the kitchen and to the fruit picking a banana. He handed it to him and he took it, “Your mommy ran out to bananas?” he asked as he peeled the banana for him.

Just as he took the banana he began to scream as Alex’s dogs came barging in barking. George was quick though and was now on the tall counter making farting noises toward the dogs. “NO down boys,” Alex said grabbing both of his dogs from the collar and taking them out of the kitchen and into a room.

When he came back George was trying to bite through another banana. He smiled and took away from him. “Here let me do it, now come on let me take you back to your owner.” He said patting his shoulder and with that George was on his shoulder with his freshly peeled banana.

“You know you sort of reek you eat too many bananas you know.” Alex chuckled as he saw that didn’t faze the monkey.

He walked to the house and through the gate it was still open. He sighed as he walked up the stairs and rang the bell. He waited for a while before Everett appeared. “Yes?” he asked. He looked annoyed and worried.

“Uhm he sort of came into my house… I was merely returning him back.” Alex said as he pointed to the monkey on his shoulder.

“Oh well thank you.” Everett said as he looked at George. “Get in here you little menace.”

George only shook his head and held his grip on Alex. “Who is it?” Daphne voice was heard. But she did not show up.

“Your neighbor with George,” Everett said.

“OH thank you… Georgey come to mommy.” Daphne said from far and with that George jumped off his shoulder and followed the voice.

“Is she ok?” Alex asked.

“Yeah she is… just allergies.” Everett said defensively.

“Oh well tell her I hope she feels better.” Alex said as he retreated. Why was Everett so upset?
Befriend... by summer03
Author's Notes:
Ok here is another chapter... I am about to get into deeper waters... hehe. Don't give up on this story... find out if all she really wants is to befriend him. I really would appreciate some feedback. :)
“You have to go…” Daphne said pushing her brother weakly as he helped her into the car.

“Daph how do you do this on your own?” Everett asked her. He felt for her sister…

“I’ve managed… I don’t want you here anymore you have to leave,” Daphne said as she bent down and began to throw up into the bag she had been given.

She barely heard her brother turning the engine of her baby… it roared to life. “You sure you don’t want to stay here the doctor said he could keep you.”

“NO! I don’t want to feel the pity from the nurses. I am tired of that most of my life was spent in hospitals… I just want to be free even if it’s only for a little while.” Daphne said as tears streamed down her face. “Drive.”

Everett did and only grimaced as he witnessed his sister hurl every few minutes. “I’m sorry… I wish it were me instead of you.” He said whole heartedly.

“You don’t know what you’re talking about Ev, I don’t wish this even on my worst enemy.” Daphne managed to say as she was hit with another wave nausea.

Finally thirty minutes later he parked behind the smart car. “Here let me help you.” He turned off the engine and went to help her. He picked her up and carried her, “My daffy…” he said smiling at her.

Daphne chuckled a little… “Hurry I have to phuuuthke again…” She said in her worst imitation of Daffy Duck.

*********

Daphne finished covering her catheter to shower. She brushed her hair gasping in horror when more than normal amount of hair came off. She was dreading this part again, well she still looked normal… she didn’t have to shave it yet.

After a well deserved shower after four days in bed feeling like shit. She still did but she managed to look normal. “Ev,” she whispered as she shook her brother who was passed out on her couch.

“Your up,” Everett said stretching. “Hungry?”

“Yeah… I want sherbet.” She said as she grabbed the keys to her baby. “I’ll be back I’m taking the Stang for a ride.” She said with a drawl.

“You sure you can drive? I can take you…” he said standing up.

“No I’m fine I feel better… you need to pack you have a plane to catch to Madison.” Daphne said firmly. “Come on Georgey lets go for a ride.”

She walked out of the house and smiled as the sun hit her… it was a beautiful day. She looked toward his house but it looked empty. She had been so sick she hadn’t talked to him in almost a week… she sighed as she put the mustang’s top down. She then helped George with the seatbelt.

She smiled as the car roared into life… she turned on the radio and began to leave her driveway. She cursed when she almost hit a car. “SHIT!” she yelled as she saw the SUV come to a halt.

“Daphe?” Alex said stepping out of the SUV.

“Alex… uhm sorry I didn’t see you coming. I didn’t know you had an SUV.” She said embarrassed.

“It’s ok I am fine and your ok right? It was just a scare. You’re driving your baby?” he asked smiling at her.

“Yeah… I want to feel the wind against my face.” Daphne said.

“Well you picked a very good day for that… how are you feeling? I haven’t seen you for a few days. I mean I’ve been busy too so maybe that’s why.” He stuttered as he watched her smile.

“It was an allergy reaction to something I ate,” she lied clearing her throat. “I’ve been busy sight seeing with Everett.” She said.

“I see… well not that I caught you I was wondering if you wouldn’t mind listening to some music I am working with a band I am helping. I would love to hear your opinion… if you want of course.” Alex said eyeing her she looked a little thinner and tired but her smile was there.

“I’d love to… when?” she asked.

“Uhm, well how about tomorrow?” he asked smiling.

“Deal but can my son come with me?” She asked pointing to George.

“I can arrange for it to not be a problem. SO is your brother gone then?” Alex asked curiously as he looked toward her house.

“Uhm no he leaves today.” She said following his gaze. “I was just going to get something at the store.”

“Oh right well then I better let you go… see you tomorrow then. Are you going to have a themed dress code?” he asked.

“I don’t know yet… maybe.” She told him chuckling.

******

“Just call me and keep in touch ok?” Everett said looking at her sister.

“Yeah, yeah…” She told him going in to hug him. She kissed his cheek, “have a safe flight and please don’t share with mom what you witnessed. It really only last a few days then I am normal as normal as I can be… Besides I just started Chemo again.”

“I will try to keep it as minimal as possible. Daph,” he said pausing as he saw her. “Don’t hurt yourself and don’t get attached to…” he pointed in the direction to the house Alex lived in. “he is suppose to be only fantasy… a teenage fantasy.”

Daphne chuckled, “I know and it’s not like that Everett. It really is a coincidence that he turned out to be my neighbor. Ok well not exactly but I just want to be his friend and I really do like his fiancée.”

“I don’t understand…” he said curiously at her. “Any who how long will you be in Cali?”

Daphne only shrugged and gave him a weak smile. “I’ll call you if move again.” She hugged him again. “Give mom and dad a kiss.”

Then she watched her brother get into a cab. After she watched the cab disappear she when to get her things to finish her painting. She was still decorating her house; she was still decorating the last wall of her living room. She smiled as she began to pour the paint.
She had many plans for this house and of course then there was Alex. He had paid her attention and that was a start. She meant what she told her brother… she was not here to get in the middle of his happiness. She was here to befriend him. Call her crazy but she always felt like she had a bond with him. She was going to find out how true it was.

She smiled as she remembered his invitation for tomorrow…
End Notes:
Don't forget to leave me a comment.
Irish? by summer03
Author's Notes:
ok here is the next chap. please let me know what you think.
“I’m not so sure about the name yet though.” Alex said as he took a sip of his water.

“Death of Adam,” Daphne repeated as she took a bite of the spring roll. “Oh my that peanut sauce it to die for.” She said as she dipped her spring roll in it again.

“Well I have to say that I am enjoying this Thai food. I will stick with the crispy rolls.” He said taking a bite out of one of them.

“Remember to leave room for dessert,” Daphne said as she took a full fork of her spicy Chicken Laab salad.

“What is for desert?” Alex asked as he looked at his plate.

“Mango with sticky rice…trust me it’s to die for.” She said as she smiled. “George loves mango.”

“I can only imagine, so how is it that you learned to cook Thai food anyway?”

“Well I should have told you I did go to culinary school for a while, but it turns out I am not as talented as I am painting.” Daphne said as she stared at her finished kitchen wall.

“I have to agree you have a good hand at painting. When Ro, told me about you changing this house I couldn’t picture it being different to what my old neighbor had it. But I have to admit it looks very artsy and nice.” He said as he eyed the same wall.

“So what else is Alex about?” Daphne asked as she walked toward the fridge and came out with a mango.

“Well… besides music you mean?” he asked he watched at work with what he assumed was going to be dessert.

“Yes… I mean what do you do when you’re not being mobbed by females?”

Alex chuckled, “Well it’s not that bad now it has declined a lot actually from when we first came out into the music scene.” He said.

“Mhmm… so you don’t get any more marriage proposals from fans?” Daphne asked as she began to slice the freshly peeled mango.

Alex shrugged, “Well there are the exceptions.” He felt warmth on his cheeks he knew he was blushing as he saw Daphne’s radiant smile as her green eyes met his as he answered.

“I see…” Daphne smiled a little as she began to prepare the coconut sauce for the dessert.

“But in sincerity when I am not working I like to relax. Stay at home and just be normal. Watch a movie, exercise, play my wii, and sleep.”

“That is pretty normal…” Daphne said as she began to prepare the plates.

“My turn,” Alex said as he watched Daphne place a plate in front of him and remove the other one.

“Ok,” Daphne said eyeing curiously.

“Who is or was your favorite backstreet boy?” Alex asked trying to keep a straight face.

“Really?” Daphne asked as she opened her mouth in surprise. “Out of the questions you could have asked?”

“Well I’m curious.” Alex asked as he took a taste of the dessert. “Oh my god this is good.”

“Well glad you like it,” Daphne said smiling at him. “Are you happy?”

Alex looked at her and sighed. Her look was very sincere, “Yeah I guess I am.”

“Really?” Daphne asked quietly. “Good… not everyone finds happiness you know.” She watched him as he finished his dessert. “Ok enough about that are you finished?”

“Almost,” Alex said as he took another bite of his dessert.

“Ok hurry I want to show you something.” Daphne said looking at her watch.

*******

“I like this ride better,” Alex said as he closed his eyes. The breeze was hitting his face as they drove in her mustang.

“I do too… but we have to try and be as green as possible sometimes so that’s where Herb comes in.” Daphne said as she turned on the radio.

“This is a nice song…” Alex commented as he began to hum it.

“Yes Ana Nalick it awesome in this. One of my favorite songs…” Daphne said as she sang along… “And breathe just breathe.” she giggled and than she raised her hands. “take the wheel..” she said as she stood up and sang louder.

“What the hell Daphne…” Alex said as he took the wheel. He began to smile as he watched Daphne enjoying the breeze while she sang. “You’re crazy.”

“Just a little bit,” she said sitting back down and taking the wheel. “Its actually pretty liberating… try it.” She said laughing.

“No!” Alex said eyeing her. “We can get a ticket…” Alex said shaking his head.

“Oh come on don’t be a chicken,” she said poking his side. She laughed when he jumped.

“OK fine,” Alex said as he stood up and stretched his hands.

“Now breathe like it will be the last breath you will ever take…so make it a good breath.” Daphne said as she sped a little more.

“Holly Shit this feels cool…” Alex said as he screamed. “Wooohoooo!”

“See it feels liberating.” Daphne said chuckling. That’s when she spotted the red and blue lights behind her. “Shit!”

“Oh fuck,” Alex said sitting back down. “See I told you.”

“I’ve done this before… relax I got this.” Daphne said as she pulled over.

“I am going to get a ticket.” Alex said as he finally saw his surroundings. “Where are we anyway?”

“Well we’re not in LA…” Daphne said in a hush tone. She had pulled her shirt down some exposing her cleavage and pulled out some lip gloss applying it on her lips. “Just follow my lead ok?”

“It’s not going to work.” Alex said nervously.

“It will.”

“License and registration?” the officer said as he walked to the side of the car.

“Officer I am so sorrryy…” Daphne said and gave him a smile. She got her license out and then her registration.

“Miss Newbury… do you know why I stopped you tonight?”

“Yes… I am so sorry officer. I am here visiting my half brother and wanted to explore you see. This isn’t illegal in Ireland… you had warned me and I did not listen.” Daphne said eyeing Alex. “My brother was only trying to make my visit more memorable.”

“Ireland you say?” the officer asked.

“Yes from northern Ireland the county of Derry.” She said smiling at him.

“Well I’ll let this one pass with a warning…now you sir make sure to keep your sister out of trouble.”

Alex only nodded.

“Oh thank you officer that was very nice of you.” Daphne gave him another smile and looked at his badge. “Officer Michaels.”

After the officer had left Alex began to chuckle. “That is the best accent I’ve heard. I was even buying your bullshit.”

“Why thank you…” Daphne said. “Let’s go.”
End Notes:
I really would appreciate your opinion... :)
Insinuations. by summer03
“Thank you for inviting me today I had fun.” Daphne said as she walked up the stairs to her house. “I really did like the music…”

“Well I knew you would give me good criticism…” Alex said smiling as he followed her in. He laughed when George attacked Daphne with a hug.

“I really can’t lie about music that’s true.” Daphne said as she put George down and took a seat on a bean bag. “Are you thirsty?”

“Uhm no I’m good…still a little overwhelmed about Officer Michael’s,” Alex said in quotations.

Daphne laughed and pulled out a piece of paper. “Well I think that was the highlight of my day… I got Officer Michael’s phone number. He was a hottie; this will be a very interesting date. Having to personify an Irish lady.”

“So maybe your next career move should be acting,” Alex said laughing. “Are you seriously going to call him?”
Daphne looked at the paper and sighed, “why not? I am sure it will be very interesting, besides I haven’t been on a date since I arrived to LA. Besides I wasn’t completely lying I am from Irish descent, hence my red hair.” She pointed to her hair.

“Well you must share with me how that date goes…” Alex said giving her a small smile. “I should head home I want to call Ro before I head to bed.”

********

“Yes pixie cut please,” Daphne told the hair stylist.

“But you have such beautiful hair naturally red and long.” The stylist said as he combed through hair gasping when he saw how much came off.

“Pleas just do it.” Daphne said solemnly as she swallowed a knot in her throat. “With an edge.”

Thirty minutes later she stared at herself her hair was gone. She smiled wryly and sighed, “Thanks Johnny this looks wonderful, I love the bangs.”

“You are rocking the cut Daphne.” The stylist said as he finished styling it for her.

“I bet my date will like it.” Daphne said as she paid him and with that she walked out. Two days ago she had called Officer Patrick Michaels and tonight she was heading for a date with him.

She hadn’t seen Alex either, she had wanted to see him but she had stopped herself from going over to see him. She wanted to think that Alex would come looking for her first… so as she parked her smart car she smiled when she saw his dogs out in the yard. He was home… she walked into her house and changed into her dress.

As she checked herself in the mirror she sighed as she saw the catheter so without hesitation she put on her short sleeve blazer. She felt so different without her hair but it would be easier now.

After a once over again she grabbed George and sighed. She walked out of her house and walked to her neighbor’s house. She was glad he was there… now her plan of seeing him would work. She knocked and waited.

“Daphne!” Alex said in surprise as he saw her. “your hair!” he said pointing to her head.

“Yeah… I wanted a change.” She giggled. “So I was wondering if you could watch George for me while I go on my date with Patrick. George seems to like you…” she bit her lip slightly.


“Uhm yeah sure…” Alex said caught off guard. “Come on it… I was playing poker with some friends.” He smiled and cleared his throat, “I think you might like meeting some of them.” He winked as he led her in.

A few seconds later she was standing a room, she rolled her eyes at Alex as she recognized two of the three guys there. She cleared her throat and smiled. “Hi,” she said in a whisper.

“Guys and ladies this is my neighbor Daphne… Daphne these are my friends Nick, Howie his wife Leigh and my buddy Chris. Oh and Lauren is in the restroom.” Alex said as he held George in his arms. “Oh right and guys this is George Daphne’s monkey.”

“Nice to meet you all.” Daphne said shaking there hands. “Well I should go I am sure Patrick is outside by now. He already ate so just if you have a banana or mango he should be fine.”

“Oh ok here let me walk you out,” Alex said following her back to his front door. “I’ll be right back no cheating!” he said pointing at Nick.

“You are going to make Patrick fall head over heals for you.” Alex told Daphne as she walked out to the front yard.

“Yeah well I am doing this more for amusement… you know havvving to yuse miy Irisshh accenttt.” Daphne said smiling as she looked up at him.

“Well you do one hell of an Irish accent…” Alex laughed.

“Oh look there he is… I guess I should go my brother.” She winked as she ran her hand over her green dress.

“Have fun and don’t take to long.” Alex said chuckling… “Only being a brother.” He said even though he sort of felt left out. He would have loved to see that date. He had to admit he was really enjoying Daphne’s company and her surprise trips.

******

“So Daphne…” Nick said as he helped Alex throw away the bottles of beer and soda’s.

“Yeah she moved in barely…she and Ro actually hit off and everything. She is very cool.”

“I say she is I mean she has a monkey for a pet.” Nick said laughing. “She’s not bad looking either.”

“No she’s not but… so out of your league besides you have Lauren.” Alex said as he looked toward the living room where Lauren sat talking on the phone.

“I wasn’t talking about me.” Nick said with a smirk.

“Oh you mean me? NOOO… I am very happy with Ro… she is just a really cool new friend that’s all.” Alex said with a face of horror as he felt his stomach flip at Nick’s words.

“Well if you say she’s just a friend then she is. I must head out…talk to you later bro and behave.” Nick said as he hugged his friend. “Hopefully we can hang out again soon before we head out to Miami for the cruise.”

“Yeah definitely call me.” Alex said.

*******

It was eleven forty five when Alex heard the doorbell. He rushed to the door and smiled when there stood Daphne. “Hey your home before midnight.”

“Yeah well Patrick was not that interesting after all.” Daphne said as she walked in. “I think the highlight of my date was when my first martini arrived at the table.” She stopped when she felt the floor move. “Oops.”

“Are you ok?” Alex asked as he walked up to her.

“Yeah… just I think I may have had a few drinks to many. You know he didn’t even kissed me properly… I felt like Fido was kissing me slobber all over the place.” Daphne said making a face. “Well at least I can check a date with an officer off my list. Maybe a firefighter will be better. Where’s George?”

Alex laughed at her rambling… “You’re funny when your drunk.”

“No just a blabber mouth…” Daphne corrected as she looked around. “Georgey come to mommy.”

A few seconds later George was on her shoulder. “So you have list of types of men you want to date as well?”

Daphne began to laugh and shook her head. “See I told you I was a blabber mouth… but I may be drunk not stupid… I am not sharing anything else today. Good night Alex and thank you for taking care of George.”

“Good night Daphne…” Alex said a little disappointed he could not get anymore information out of her.

“Yeah…” Daphne said she walked out of his house.

Alex only chuckled as he heard her say what a waste of a dress. As he watched he could only continue to think of Nick’s insinuation… but no that couldn’t be happening. He loved Rochelle and was going to marry her in a few months.
Detective McLean? by summer03
“I really do appreciate this Dr. Hunt.” Daphne said as she followed the doctor into the cancer wing at Children’s Hospital. “I have helped before where I use to live but I just moved down here and wanted to check it out. I also want to visit them and give them gifts.”

“I think that will be wonderful Miss Newbury,” he eyed her and smiled. “It is nice to see people your age helping out the best they can.”

“Well lets just say I know by experience how this is…” Daphne said looking out a window into the busy streets of LA.

“Are you a cancer survivor?” he asked.

“No… I’ve been battling it for quite sometime. It has spread and I am not responding to treatment well…” Daphne said as she closed her eyes to try to stop the tears that threatened to come out. “Any who I want to give to all these kids happiness… show them some fun when they are stuck in here.”

“I’m sorry.” Dr. Hunt said swallowing the lump in his throat.

“Hey I’m fine… just you know taking it a day at a time.”

“Here let me show you around then.”

******

Daphne pulled up to her home and gasped when she saw who stood outside her gates. “Janelle?” she whispered as she opened her gates and drove the car in. After parking she got out of the car and ran toward her friend.

“Well look at you… you look great.” Janelle said hugging her. “Don’t blame Everett he really did try to keep it away from where you were but I do have the feminine advantage and well got it out of him.”

“I’m glad you’re here.” Daphne said hugging her again. “I’ve missed you.”

“Me too… by the way Chase wanted me to tell you he misses you and loves you. To come back home.” Janelle said.

“Janelle please… you know better than anyone that what I am doing the best for me.” Daphne said as she pulled on her friends arm and walked toward her house. “So before you freak out I have a monkey… as a pet.”

“Oh my fucking god… are you serious?” Janelle asked stopping in mid step.

“Yes… I got him in Brazil.” Daphne said laughing.

“I can do this… it’s a monkey not a dog.” Janelle said taking deep breath. “Hey love the new hair.”

“Thanks I had no choice…” she said as she opened the door to her home. “Welcome to Daphne’s abode.”

“Wow… Daph you have outdone yourself. You are so talented.” Janelle said admiring her walls all had a different drawing.

“Thank you… I still have to finish the hall, my room and well half the house.” Daphne said smiling proudly at her job. “How’s Chase?”

“Sad… he really does love you Daphne.” Janelle said as she plopped into a bean bag.

“It is best that he learns to live without me…” Daphne said.

“He was willing to marry you…” Janelle said as she pulled out a black velvet box from her pocket. “He wanted me to give you this… he still wants you to have it.”

“I don’t want it…” Daphne said walking away abruptly.

“HEY…” Janelle said following her out of her house and into her back yard. She gasped as she saw the entire yard full of dandelions. “Wow…”

“I know…” Daphne said picking a puff ball again and blowing on it. “I loved him too.”

“Then why not let him be here for you now?” Janelle said as she approached her.

“I just don’t just like I don’t want my mother or any other relative here.” Daphne said.

“Well at least grant him his wish.” Janelle said as she took her hand and slowly slipped the diamond cut ring with onyx stones around the diamond into her ring finger. “It’s gorgeous.”

“It is.” Daphne said as she looked at her hand. “I hate my life…” she said hugging her friend as she began to cry.

********

Alex had been in earshot to what Daphne and some woman talked. What could she be hiding from? He had almost gone toward the fence to ask if she was alright as he heard her cry.

Something was wrong with Daphne and didn’t know what it was. He wanted to… she sounded really hurt. He couldn’t just sit here though and torture his mind with the many possibilities.

“I have to get out of here for a while.” He told himself as he grabbed his keys. As he walked out he saw Daphne and her friend leave too.

Without really understanding his actions he was following them. It was sort of hard though so he wouldn’t get caught. He kept thinking about the talk he had overheard.

After a thirty minute drive he recognized the where they were. He waited for them to enter the busy Night club. It wasn’t his favorite club very paparazzi infested. He sighed heavily as he dialed a number.

“Ok this better be good.” Nick said answering the call from Alex.

“Hi listen I was wondering if you wanted to hang out with me right now?” Alex asked.

“Uhm ok? Lauren is out with her girlfriends… where do you want to meet?” Nick asked.

“Les Deux?” Alex said cautiously.

Nick began to chuckle, “Your kidding right?”

“No… ah come on just tonight…” Alex asked as he lit a cigarette.

“No… I’ll pass.” Nick said.

“I’ll explain in detail my reasons if you come…” Alex said.

“Ok but if it gets to crowded and paparazzi infested I am out of there.” Nick said as he began to look for something to wear. “See you in a few.”

Alex smiled, “Thanks ok see you here.” He said as he hung up.

*******

“Wow the prices are out there.” Janelle said as she eyed at some of the prices.

“Ok don’t worry about that I got this.” Daphne said as she took a seat.

“I can’t let you buy me everything Daph.” Janelle said.

“Yes you can and you will I have a lot to spend before I die.” Daphne said with a bitter smile.

“OK we promised not to think about that remember?” Janelle said as she looked around. “I wonder if we will meet any celebrities.”

“We will eventually this a hot spot for that.” Daphne said.

After fifteen minutes they were already happy and enjoying there second drink. “I really don’t think you should be drinking with all that medicine you drink.” Janelle said as she took a drink from her rum and coke.

“Why bother?” Daphne said eating the olive from her martini. “We should go bowling tomorrow or do something.”

“I want to take that Dearly Departed Tour.” Janelle said with a smile.

“OOOH that sounds interesting.” Daphne said and that’s when she spotted Alex and Nick walking into the club. “You got to be kidding me.”

Janelle followed her stare and gasped when she recognized them. “Wow Nick got yummy.”

“Uhm… yeah.” Daphne said nervously.

“We should go ask for there autographs. I mean you were into them big time… wasn’t AJ your favorite?” Janelle asked and then looked at Daphne when she realized AJ had waved toward them and were now walking toward them.

“I’ll explain later please.” Daphne said just before they made it to where they were.

“Daphne what are you doing here?” Alex asked smiling at her.

“I was showing my friend a good time. She came to visit me so I am showing her LA…” Daphne said smiling at him. “Alex this is my friend Janelle Sims.”

“Janelle?” Alex said as he remembered there first conversation. The woman extended her hand and smiled, “Nice to meet you.”

“Same here…” Janelle said as she extended her hand to Nick.

Nick took it and smiled. “How are you liking LA?”

“Well I just got here today but so far what I have seen has been good.” Janelle said as she turned to look at her friend. She didn’t look to well she was sweating and looked like she was going to faint. “Daph you ok?”

“Yeah I’m fine…” Daphne said giving her a weak smile. “I think I am ready to go…”

“Yeah ok… we should head out.” Janelle said knowing to well what was happening to her friend.

“It was nice seeing you again Nick and Alex I’ll see you around.” Daphne said as she patted a napkin to her forehead. “I think I’ve had too many drinks, you should drive Janelle.”

“Ok…” she said as she took her friends keys. “Bye.”

Alex and Nick watched them walk away. “You see what I mean?”

“No… she is obviously drunk and that is her friend who is here visiting. You are hallucinating AJ and not only that I think you might be a little more interested in the redhead than you lead on. Shame on you… I can’t believe you dragged me out here for this.”

“Why do I bother to even explain things to you…” Alex asked as he sighed heavily. “Something is up and I am going to find out.”
End Notes:
hehe... and the plot will thicken. Review? :)
Easily persuaded. by summer03
“Ugh,” Daphne complained as she applied some foundation on her face. “I hate this,” She said just wiping it all off. “JUST FUCK IT!” she yelled throwing it away.

“You don’t look to pale either way.” Janelle from where she watched.

“I look sickly though.” Daphne complained as she did her eye makeup.

“Daph why does it matter?” Janelle asked as she took a seat on the toilet.

“I just… don’t want anyone to feel sorry for me.” She said.

“Mhmmm… are you sure that’s it? Cause I have a feeling it has to do more with the fact that your neighbor is the one and only AJ McLean!” she finally said she had wanted for Daphne to tell her but she never elaborated more to her than that AJ was her neighbor.
Daphne shrugged a little and smiled, “I was wondering when you would finally ask me about that.”

“Well spill it already.” Janelle said smirking at her. “Did you already you know?”

“NOO! He’s engaged! It’s not like that at all.” Daphne said throwing Janelle her eye shadow brush.

“We are good friends and George likes him. His fiancée is a sweetheart.” Daphne said smiling dreamingly.

“Boring…” Janelle said making a gagging sound. “You have been in love with that man over there since I can remember!” she said pointing toward the direction of his house. “I mean you picked Chase because he freaking almost looks like him and made your parents accept him… there has to be more to this than your letting me know.”

“I just wanted to meet him pick at his head. Get to know the real Alex.” Daphne said sighing. “I know I’ve been a little obsessed with him but… I want him to be happy and that means Rochelle is right for him.” Daphne said as she put on her skirt

“I don’t know… the way he was looking at you at Les Deux gave a total different vibe.” Janelle said as she handed Daphne a grey shirt.

“You are just as always seeing things that are not there.” Daphne said as she put on her shoes.

“So after shopping where are we going?” Janelle asked ignoring her comment.

“You’ll see.” Daphne said.

*******

“My god it felt so cool shopping like I was ten again.” Janelle said as she helped Daphne put the bags in her trunk.

“Good I am actually hungry so why don’t we grab a bite before we head to Sunset Boulevard.” she said as she put the top of her mustang down. “I could use a tan.”

“I’m starving… where are we going?” Janelle asked as she hopped into the car.

“I don’t know we’ll see.” Daphne said as she drove away.

A few minutes later they were entering a deli. “I want a salad.” Daphne said as she looked at the menu.

“I don’t what I want yet.” Janelle said as she looked at her menu. She looked up and gasped. “You have to be kidding me is that Ashton Kutcher?” she asked in a whisper.

Daphne turned toward where Janelle stared… “Yeah.” She said hitting her arm. “Hey quit staring so hard.”

“It’s Ashton Kutcher!” she said smiling as she took of her sunglasses. “But your right… let me see what I want.”

******

“I can’t believe we got this!” Janelle said as she jumped laughing. “It’s been for ever since I got on one of these.”

Daphne smiled triumphantly, “I am glad we were able to put it together…without reading the manual.” She eyed the trampoline as her friend tested it out.

“Get up here already, it is awesome.” Janelle said doing a split in the air. “Oops I forgot I was wearing a skirt… don’t want to show my hooha!”

Daphne laughed as she walked back into her house and changed into a pair of skinny jeans and brought her Ipod to put music on. “I was smart.” She said pointing at her pants. She turned on her Ipod and got on the trampoline.

Janelle squealed when she heard the song… “Oh my god the perfect song is on.” She said as she began to dance to Katy Perry’s Teenage Dream.

“Lets go all the way tonight no regrets just love. We can dance until we die!” Daphne sang as she danced.

Alex was trying to take a nap but the laughs from Daphne and her friend woke him up and now he was walking out to his back yard. His smiled widened when he saw them jumping and dancing on a trampoline he swore he had not seen there before. He chuckled as they sang to Katy Perry.

Janelle stopped singing and blushed when she realized they had an audience. “ahem.” She said nudging Daphne who was still singing her lungs out.

“Oh,” Daphne said dropping onto the trampoline laughing. “Alex, how long have you been there?” she asked as she got off and walked toward the fence that separated there yards.

“Not long, having fun?” he asked as he lit a cigarette. “So when did you acquire that.” He pointed to the trampoline.

“Today! Come on join us its fun.” Daphne said laughing.
“I don’t know I don’t think I will look as graceful as you and Janelle did.” He said smiling at her and then looking at Janelle who still looked a little embarrassed.

“It’s not about jumping gracefully its about being worry free for a while. Go wild and not think!” Daphne said walking back to the trampoline and began to jump again. “Come on Alex don’t be a party pooper my gate is open come on.”

Alex laughed and eyed them, it did look fun. “How is it that you get to persuade me to do the silliest things?” he asked before he headed out of his house and toward hers.

Daphne clapped as Alex made it, "Yay... you are going to have a blast you wait and see." She extended her hand to him and helped him on. she watched as he took of his shoes before standing up.

"Ok I hope I don't make a fool of myself." Alex said as he began to jump. He smiled as he realized it was actually pretty fun.

Just then I Like It from Enrique Iglesias and Pitbull came on. "You like that?" he asked Daphne as she began to dance to it.

"I have a diverse taste in music, I would have thought you had figured that out already." she told him before she began to sing again.

Janelle just watched them interact... something told her that Daphne wanted more than his friendship.
End Notes:
Ok here is the next chapter... enjoy. Read and Review. :)
Dreaming by summer03
“George get over here,” Alex screamed as he saw Daphne’s monkey cross a street into the woods. He couldn’t let him get lost so he followed him. “George! Come here I have a banana,” he said as he followed him into the woods.

He gasped when he saw George standing in a field full of dandelions with many puff balls around. He was standing there sticking his tongue out at him, “I’ve never seen this place before,” he whispered as he walked in deeper.

“I looked like the sun was rising and the beautiful colors that expanded through the sky made this place even more gorgeous. He then saw George disappear, “George.” He called but instead gasped when he saw a beautiful black horse galloping toward him. He smiled when he saw who rode the tamed beast.

Her red hair glowed with the sunlight, “Daphne.” He said as she stopped right in front of him extending her hand to him which he gladly took. He climbed the horse wrapping his arms around her waist.

“We are about to get as close as we can to being the wind…” Daphne said laughing a little. “Take it all in Alex.” She whispered as the horse began to gallop again toward the sun it seemed.

Alex closed his eyes realizing the brightness of the sun. “Where are we going?” he asked as he held tight to her waist her scent of apples hitting his nostrils.

“The Sky is the limit,” was all Daphne said as the sped through the wind hitting them.

After what seemed like a long ride they stopped and she climbed off. The white cotton dress she wore moving with the breeze that still hadn’t stopped. “Isn’t it beautiful here?”

“Yeah,” Alex said getting off too. “Where are we?”

“The closest place in comparison to the garden of Eden.” Daphne whispered as she collected puff balls. She blew at them laughing as the seeds left in the breeze…

“I mean how did we get here?” Alex said as he copied her and took a puff ball blowing it into the air.

Daphne shrugged and walked up to him, “It doesn’t matter, doesn’t this place make you feel free?”

Alex smiled and tucked her long bang behind her ear. “I have to say I did like your hair when it was longer.”

“Well I liked you more when you had less tattoos but do you see me complaining?” Daphne said as she traced her fingers through his arms and his tattoos.

“So you like me?” Alex asked smirking at her.

Daphne bit her lip, “Oops you weren’t supposed to know that.”

“Why not it’s flattering… so am I your favorite backstreet boy?” Alex asked closing the small space between them.

Daphne chuckled and shook her head, “No and you will never know.” She took off running laughing.

“I bet I can get out of you…” Alex yelled laughing as he began to chase her. “Got ya,” He said as he wrapped his arm around her making himself stumble. The next thing he knew he was falling bringing her down with him.

“Hey,” Daphne said as he fell on top of him. “You will never know who.” She told him touching the tip of his nose with her finger.

Alex took her hand and leaned up, his face so close to hers. “I don’t need for you to confess it’s me.” He told her in a ragged voice before he brushed his lips over hers. He smiled as Daphne closed her eyes and he knew it was ok to kiss her again.

His hand cupped her face and held it still as he brushed his lips to hers again, a light shiver running through his spine as he took her bottom lip with his teeth. “I will show you what a true kiss feels like.” He whispered as he kissed her again and slowly as she opened her mouth allowing him access.

The kiss was perfect and it intensified as he now laid on top of her his body covering hers. His lips tingling as he kissed her… “You’re beautiful.” He whispered as he began to kiss her jaw down to her neck…

He then felt the slap on his head; he stopped and looked up at her confused. Then he felt another slap… “What the hell was that for?” He asked and then it was harder and painful. That’s when she vanished and instead he was face to face with George hitting him.

“George?” Alex said groggily as he saw his surroundings he was in his room. “What are you doing here?”

He sat up and looked at the clock it was nine in the morning. “Well thanks for the wake up call buddy but no need to be rough.” He said as he realized how George had gotten into his room. His window was open.

As he washed his face he couldn’t stop thinking about the dream. He didn’t understand why he was dreaming about her…be he had to admit the kiss even if it was a dream was very nice…

*******

“George there you are!” Janelle said as she held the door open for Alex to come in.

“Yeah he woke me up today… I think he likes my house.” Alex said walking in. “Wow it smells good.”

“We are having Belgian waffles… would you like to join us?” Daphne asked as she came from the kitchen.

Alex froze in his step when he recognized the dress it was the one he had just seen on her in his dream only difference she wore an apron that said kiss the chef.

“Actually I have a meeting with the guys…work related. I am running late but how about a rain check?”

“Ok,” Daphne said smiling. “Tomorrow morning…”

“Deal,” Alex said quickly as he walked back toward the door. “Have an awesome day.”

“You too.” Daphne said right before the door closed behind him. “He was acting weird.”

“Yeah he was.” Janelle agreed as she followed her friend back into the kitchen. “Now let’s eat so then we can go drop off those toys to the hospital.”

“Yeah because I am tempted on opening them all.” Daphne said as she found George sitting on the table a banana in hand. “Now you are one bad monkey.”

“No I think he is just like his owner… he has the hots for AJ. I wonder if he witnessed AJ shirtless. Cause man did you see his shirt it was so tight, leaves very little to the imagination.” Janelle said as she peeled the banana for George.

“Hey,” Daphne said defensively.

“What? I am just observing that’s all. Not like you are doing anything to make him yours.”

“Ok that’s enough lets change the subject!” Daphne said with a smirk on her face. She couldn’t help but agree Alex did look good.
End Notes:
Ok here is another chapter...enjoy and R&R. I love feedback. :)
Oops! by summer03
Author's Notes:
SO here is another chapter...enjoy and don't forget to leave me a review! :)
“Ok you are fucking awesome!” Alex said as he took a seat on the sand. “Breakfast on the beach.”

“Well I was feeling a little pale, so I thought I can tan while I eat breakfast. I made breakfast burritos, fruit, coffee, and banana nut muffins. George’s favorite.” She said handing George a muffin.

“Ooh…” Janelle said taking a muffin and taking a bite. So Alex… I heard you’re engaged.” Janelle said smirking at him.

“Yeah… Rochelle is a great woman. I love her to death she’s real you know.” Alex said as he took a burrito and bit into it.

“Janelle,” Daphne said giving Janelle a warning look.

“What just getting to know the man, I mean we all know you were close to getting hitched but you ran!” Janelle said throwing Daphne a chunk of walnut.

“What?” Alex said eyeing Daphne in surprise.

“No… he never asked me.” Daphne said a little angry at her friend’s indiscretion. “It’s not my fault he waited till I had left to realize he wanted to marry me!” Daphne said standing up. She threw Janelle a burrito and walked away fuming.

“Daph,” Janelle said feeling a little bad for bringing up Chase.

“Maybe I should go see if she’s ok.” Alex said as he watched her walk toward the water.

“NO… she needs to be alone. Trust me I know.” Janelle said as she watched her friend.

“Apparently not if you told me something she clearly didn’t want me to know yet.” Alex said standing up and following Daphne.

Daphne closed her eyes the salty cool water hit her feet. This was the closest she could get to swimming now a days. She sighed heavily when she felt someone behind her. “I need a few minutes.”
“I’m sorry.” Alex said as he put his hands in his pockets. “I’ll pretend I didn’t hear Janelle.”

Daphne smiled and stare at him, “No its fine I would’ve told you eventually.” She extended her left hand.

“Wow is that the ring?” Alex asked as he held her hand feeling her warm hand in his. “It’s beautiful.”

“Yeah… he wanted me to keep it even if I did say no.” Daphne said taking her hand back from his. His touch made her a little nervous.

“SO why did you say no?” Alex said curiously.

Daphne sighed heavily and threw her arms in defeat before crossing them over her chest. “I didn’t want to drag him down. Chase is a great drummer in a really cool band and marrying me he would have had to leave all that. He is going to make it big some day… I didn’t want to be the one to destroy his aspirations. Besides… if I had accepted that would have ruined my plans to travel and live life. My mother always says a marriage is made up of two people and sacrifices… I wouldn’t want Chase to sacrifice his band and I definitely did not want to cease my wish… I know I am selfish person.”

Alex chuckled and smiled, “NO I find that very admirable. But you are young… I mean twenty five. Wait till you hit the three oh… then you might go back to Chase.”

Daphne smiled wryly… she then repeated it, ‘The three oh,” if he only knew she probably wouldn’t make it the two six. “By then Chase will be to busy rocking out in big arena’s to even remember me.” She said smiling at she thought about that.

“It’s a nice day today isn’t it. Maybe good for a swim after we finish that amazing breakfast you made… that will give the water time to warm as well.” Alex said as he realized it was best to not talk about her ex anymore.

“I can’t swim.” She told him shrugging. “I will gladly watch though.”

“Really?” Alex said eyeing.

“Yeah really…” She lied as her hand softly touched the catheter in her right side. The real reason she no longer swam… it could infected and infections were a big no no for some already as sick as she was.

*******

“Where’s Janelle?” Alex asked as he came back with three snow cones.

“Over there,” Daphne said smiling as she pointed to Janelle getting surfing lessons from some guy. A very hot guy.

“Well I guess more for us… I have a feeling she really isn’t into surfing?” Alex said making a face as he saw Janelle insinuating herself to the guy.

“Not a fan of surfing but of hot surfer guys yes.” Daphne said eyeing them. “And that guy is hot.” Daphne said as she saw her friend kiss him. “Oh my god, talk about ice breaker.”

Alex laughed, “Yeah.” He then eyed Daphne who wore a nice purple two piece a modest two piece. “So I have a feeling purple is your favorite color?”

“No… I like all the colors…except for pink. I hate pink with all my heart.” Daphne said gagging.

“I will not wear pink around you then.” Alex said chuckling. “Well purple looks nice on you…” he said and then smile as he remembered how nice she looked in white too.

“What?” Daphne asked breaking Alex’s trance. “You’re smirking like your have a naughty thought.” Daphne said staring at him curiously.

“NO I was not.” Alex said clearing his throat.

“Sure… it’s ok I always have naughty thoughts. It’s a natural human behavior especially if the naughty thought is about someone totally not available for you.” She said smiling.

Alex laughed, “And who would you have naughty thoughts about?”

Daphne shrugged and smiled, “Jared Leto, Jon Foreman, Steve Tyler?” she said biting her lip. “Ok can’t judge me on Steve Tyler there is something about that man… he’s a freaking legend.”

“I won’t judge… my list might not be the best either.” He said.

“So who was it from earlier?” Daphne asked again.

“I don’t think you really want to know.” Alex said as he took a big bite of his snow cone. “Ah fuck brain freeze.”

Daphne rolled her eyes and slapped his arm… “That’s not fair I tell you who I have naughty thoughts about but you can’t share? I know Rochelle is a given but come on!”

Alex sighed heavily and looked at her sincerely… “Do you really want to know?”

“Well not anymore I don’t want to bully you into it.” Daphne said.

“You.” Alex said. “I was thinking of you…” he then stood up and walked away. Why had he said it? Daphne would probably hate him now and there friendship would be very awkward… “Great Alex just great.” He said to himself as he continued to walk not caring that he had left a bewildered Daphne.
Remorse… by summer03
Author's Notes:
Ok so I've been a little slump so I haven't updated like usual... so FINALLY here is another chapter. Enjoy. Please leave me a comment.... oh and I would love your opinion on the next chapter... should Alex find out about Daphne's illness yet or no? And if so? From Janelle or Daphne? This will help... so please let me know. :)
Daphne had stayed frozen at Alex’s words. All she remembered was him walking away; finally she took a deep breath and stood up. She followed his foot steps on the sand and found him smoking away on a big rock. “Hey.”

Alex half smiled at Daphne as she approached him, “I’m sorry.” He said before he took another swig of his cigarette.

“For what?” Daphne asked as she walked closer to him… “Listen it’s my fault for insisting in you telling me. I just-” she bit her lip. “I wasn’t expecting that…”

“I know…” Alex said as he finished his cigarette. “I just I allowed myself to look at you as more than a friend, I guess Kevin was right when he said I had trouble deciphering what I really wanted in a woman. And then there was the dream I had about you…” He sighed heavily.

“It’s sort of flattering,” Daphne said blushing. “I just well I’m not that special… so let’s forget that this conversation ever happened.”

“I can try…” Alex said looking at her his eyes locking on hers. “I just don’t want any awkwardness between us. You have been an awesome friend and I’ve had the most fun with you… trust me in a long time!”

Daphne chuckled and took a deep breath, “Ok,” She slapped her hands on lap as she took a moment just staring at him.

“What?” Alex asked seeing the mischievous look on her face.

“I have this idea… a one time thing. For the sake of both of us.” She said standing up and taking his hand pulling him up. She placed him in front of her and smiled. “Close your eyes.”

“What?” Alex asked nervously as he felt her soft hands on his face.

“Close them…” Daphne whispered as she closed hers. “Trust me…”

“Ok,” Alex said as he closed his eyes. “What are you going to do?”

“Shh…” she said as she put a finger to his lips. “Now,” She said in a low tone as her finger left his lips and was now running the outline of his jaw. “I have a confession to make…”

Alex was feeling goose bumps as he felt her soft touch and her voice it was very enticing. “Yeah?”

“I said no talking…” Daphne said covering his mouth with her hand again. “You won’t talk again right?”

Alex only nodded as he playfully tried to bite her hand. He chuckled when he heard her yelp and slap his arm. “Sorry… I won’t talk again.” He shut his mouth and felt lonely with out her touch.

“You better not,” Daphne said as she again cupped his face with his hands. “Now where was I?” She smiled as she contemplated his face, “Oh yeah…I have to confess that I am very intrigued to know what this dream was about…but we both know better. So…” she stopped talking when she felt someone nearing.

Janelle looked at Daphne curiously and put her finger to her mouth to tell Janelle to not talk. She signaled for Janelle get everything ready to go and smiled when Janelle obeyed and left back to where they had everything.

Daphne sighed and then she looked at him again, “Now I am going to tell you something and I want you to remember this always. Life is short so you have to enjoy it once in while no matter what other people say. You are a great guy and I am sure you will find your happiness as long as you don’t loose your focus by focusing on what other people think you should focus on. I am very happy to have met you… you are just what I had expected.” She leaned in and kissed his cheek and then the other, she then leaned into his ear… “Now I want you to count till thirty and then open your eyes. Promise me you will…”

“I promise…” Alex said with a grin on his face. He was officially turned and Daphne was to blame she was good. He was feeling a little less crummy now. That’s when he felt it her lips on his it was a soft graze and then a little firmer. His hands found her waist as she kissed him intensely.

Daphne pulled a away but not before her hands covering his eyes. “Don’t open them yet,” She said as she pulled back. “Count to thirty…” she waited and sure enough he started to count.

“Are we going to play hide and seek now?” Alex asked as he continued to count. He was having difficulty counting though he was still thinking about the kiss. He licked his lips as he savored the moment. He didn’t get to thirty he just opened his eyes and his goal was to grab her and kiss her again. But she was gone…

After looking around the rocks and not finding her he walked back to where they had settled but was surprised to find no traces of her Janelle…not even George. “What the fuck?”

********

“So tell me why we are now staying at a hotel?” Janelle asked as she plopped on the bed.

“I’m selling my house,” Daphne said as she rubbed her neck. “I did something bad.”

Janelle rolled her eyes, “What could that be?” she asked.

“I kissed him.” Daphne said touching her lips, the tingle still there.

“Well didn’t I say that you living so close to him would mean trouble?”

“I didn’t think it would get there so quick, I had this idea in my head that maybe by that time I would be dead. I really don’t mean harm to him… I really do like Rochelle.” Daphne said.

“So that’s you plan on running again?” Janelle asked annoyed. “What about your stuff?”

“I have you…please?” Daphne asked.

“Uhm no… I think you should just enjoy it man, Rochelle isn’t even here.”

“NO, just please?” Daphne said as she rubbed her head fiercely. She wasn’t feeling to well.

“Fine…” Janelle said.

********

“Are you ok?” Janelle asked as she was awaken by her friend.

“I”ll be fine,” Daphne said as she turned on the water. She needed to bring her fever down, her pain was excruciating at the moment she didn’t know where it hurt more.

“I think we should take to the hospital,” Janelle said when she saw how pale and sweaty her friend was.

“NO I’ll be fine,” She said as she took a seat on the cold water gasping at it coldness.

“I’ll be right out here if you need me ok?” Janelle said worriedly.

Janelle had accidentally dosed off and woke up thirty minutes later. “Daphe?” she didn’t get a response so she walked back to the restroom on to scream. “Daphe,” She said as she shook her.

“I need an ambulance,” She screamed as she banged on the wall. “Daphe sweetie wake up…” She checked for a pulse. “She’s alive,” she said in relief as she ran to the phone and dialed 911.

********

Alex had made it back to his house and had waited for them to come back. He was a little pissed yet he was worried. He felt guilty for his forwardness. He also felt bad now that his head was clear and a mental picture of Rochelle flashed through his head.

Maybe he was feeling like he did because he was hanging around Daphne to much… yeah so maybe he should stop. He stood up from his porch and went inside. Maybe if he tried to ignore her he would forget it all just till he went on the cruise. After he could think of ways to stay away. Yeah he could do this…
FOR SALE by summer03
Author's Notes:
Ok here is an update hope you like and I really would love some feedback... a little short but hopefully you enjoy. :)
“Yes I’m sure" Daphne said as she wiped her tears. “I want to go home.”

Janelle exhaled and looked at her friend. It had been three days since the incident at the hotel, “Daph,” she began as she took a seat on the chair beside Daphne’s bed. “I will get all your things shipped back home but only if you can look me straight into my eyes as you tell me you really want to go home.”

Daphne bit her lip and swallowed hard the taste of metal very prominent in her mouth. “I do,” She said looking into her friends eyes.

“Your scared,” Janelle said as she saw it in her friends face.

“No I’m ready for what is to come… I just realized I want to be with my family. Mom, dad, Everett, Layla, and you.” She tried to smile as she reached for her friends hand. “Who was I kidding… no matter how much I tried to enjoy my life deep inside I hate god for doing this to me.”

“Daph,” Janelle said stopping her. “This is not your fault and god only takes the best to be with him.”

“Get me home.” Daphne said smiling wryly at Janelle’s comment.

“Ok I’ll take care of it.”

********

“I think I’m fine now, thanks for letting me stay with you.” Alex told Nick as he walked to his car.

“Hey no problem what are friends for… now are you sure you’re ready to see Red?” Nick asked with a grin.

“Yeah I’m fine, I love Rochelle and I’ve realized that this whole week while I’ve been busy working and coming to your house. You understand me right? I mean you’ve been in this position right…”

“Yes,” Nick said patting his friends shoulders. “Good luck man and if you can’t handle it you’re welcome to stay at my condo for a week, I can’t have you here Lauren will be back from her trip.”

“Thanks no worries I’ll be fine, see you Monday at the studio.” Alex said as he hopped into his car and drove away.

He was humming to Enya as he drove. He had a clear head now and he was not going to falter. He also had an apology to make to Daphne for his behavior. She was probably wondering where he was.

As he turned to his street he saw a huge moving truck pass by him, “What is up with people moving to the neighborhood?” he asked himself as he slowed to get into his driveway.

That’s when he saw it the Remaxx sign, “FOR SALE,” he read out loud and his heart stopped. He blinked a few times to make sure he was seeing right, Daphne was selling her house.

He quickly opened his automated gate and parked. He took a deep breath as he walked to the fence where he saw that the door to Daphne’s house was open maybe she was still there. Now it made sense the moving truck he had passed. He took a deep breath and walked to her house.

He walked up the steps and took a deep breath before going through the door. “Daphne?” he asked curiously. He chuckled when he heard someone curse from the upstairs.

He took the stairs and followed the cursing to a room, he poked his head in, “Janelle?” he said as he recognized the raven hair.

“Holly fuck,” Janelle said dropping the bag she held making all the medicine bottles scatter on the floor. “Alex…” she said nervously as she began to pickup the bottles, not looking at Alex.

“Sorry I didn’t mean to scare you.” He said as he knelt down to help her only to have her stop him. “NO, I’m fine just what are you doing here? I thought maybe you were out of town or something.” She said as she snatched the one bottle he had gotten.

“Yeah no I've just been really busy with my band mates we’re writing new material for our new album.” He said as he looked at her quickly pickup all the bottles and stuff them into a box. "Wow that's a lot medicine," he commented.

“Oh well I hope everything is going good with that.” She said as she taped the box shut, ignoring his other cooment.

“So,” Alex said as he pointed and looked around the empty room except for the one box.

“OH this… well I came to get the last few things Daph had in here.” Janelle said.

“I see that, where is Daphne?” he asked trying to sound calm.

Janelle blew out a big puff of air as she finally looked up and into his eyes. “Daphne decided to move again.”

“So she really just travels the world?” Alex asked.

“Yeah that.” Janelle said nervously. Then she smiled weakly, “Oh yeah before I forget.” She said digging into her pocket pulling out a key chain of a mustang horse in her hand. “Daphne wanted me to give you this. It’s the key to her baby… she wants you to have it. Its still in the drive way so you can take it when you want it. The title is in the glove compartment signed and everything.”

“Wait what? I can’t accept this.” He said not taking the key.

“Yes you can and she told me there’s a letter in there for you.” Janelle said handing him the key again. “Listen she must really trust you if she is giving you her baby. She said she knew it would be in good hands.”

Alex took the key and then he felt anger, “Why is she doing this? Is it because of what I told her? Or about what happened? I can explain she doesn’t have to run away.” Alex said.

“Ok listen Daphne is a wild mustang… she can never be in one place for long. Just trust me she doesn’t hate you ok.” Janelle said as she grabbed the box and walked down to the foyer. She felt Alex behind her, “It was nice meeting you by the way.”

“Yeah same here,” Alex said as he followed her out the house. He watched her lock the door, “hey do you know where she went? Spain? Egypt? Where?”

Janelle shrugged and tried not to spill the truth she had not been authorized to do so. “She will be very happy wherever she goes.”

"If you find out where she is could you call me and let me know? I just want to send her a thank you note for my new car." Alex said as he pulled a pen out of his pocket and wrote his phone number on the box. "Please?"

Janelle only nodded as she walked away and into the smart car. She felt bad but if Daphne really wanted this then she was going to let her do it. Maybe it was better for Daphne to go back home...
The Truth by summer03
Author's Notes:
Ok so here is the next bit... I really would love some feedback. I only got one review last chapter... I would love to read what think even if its about what you did not like. I love good criticism. :)
“I do appreciate it Janelle,” Daphne said as she got a spoon full of vanilla pudding.

“I told you I would… What did you write in the letter to AJ?” Janelle asked as she bit into her bagel.

Daphne shrugged as she looked out the window of the deli they sat in. “I told him the truth.” She said as she stared at the people walking by. “You know we really should head back home soon, I could still bump into him around here.”

“The truth? As in the truth about your health or the truth about you being obsessed with him since you were like twelve?” Janelle asked as she ignored the second question.

“As in everything.” Daphne said nonchalantly.

“Oh my are you serious… wow you have guts.” Janelle said.

“No I just want him to realize he can’t like me I am no good, I am on death row.” She said licking her spoon. She took a deep breath and looked at Janelle, “I had them take away the catheter and I told them I don’t want anymore medicine. I’m done.”

Janelle spit out the piece of bagel she had in her mouth and looked at her friend. “Are you crazy? Those stuff help you Daph.” She said a little too harsh.

“Well I don’t want them anymore. I am tired of it… they don’t work. I just want to get this over with.” She said angry too and walked out leaving a bewildered Janelle.

Daphne’s tears made it blurry to see as she walked to the park. She took a seat on a bench and took a deep breath. “Just Breathe.” She told herself as she closed her eyes. Soon she would be back home and everything would be fine… as fine as she could manage.

*********

“SO have you read it?” Nick asked Alex as they both sat on the studio staring at the envelope in his hands.

“No.” Alex said as his thumb traced the letters that spelled Alex on the front of the envelope. “I can’t.”

“This is some fucked up shit,” Nick said as he snatched the letter from AJ’s hand. “Here let me do the honors. She’s creepy…”

“NO Nick!” Alex yelled following him to no avail he was now inside the recording studio the door locked. He clenched his teeth as Nick gave him a smirk as he opened the letter. “You better not,” he said through the intercom.

“Just let me ok I promise I won’t tear it ok? I have the guts to do this.” Nick said as he took the pages out of the envelope. A few puff balls seeds falling as he did. “What the?” he said finally unfolding the pages. “You trust me right?”

“Yeah,” Alex said in resignation, Nick was right he had no guts to open it was best that Nick did and told him what it said.

He watched Nick read his face changing as he read on. “Nick what does it say?”

“Just wait,” Nick said as he continued to read. Finally after ten more minutes Nick looked up with a wry smile. “I think you need to read this.”

“Just tell me what it says.” Alex said as Nick came out of the recording booth and handed him the letter back like it had been earlier.

“I can’t I mean I think its best you read it.” Nick said patting his friend’s shoulders. “I think you are in for the shock of your life… see you tomorrow.” Nick said walking toward the door. “By the way I would love to borrow the Stang some time.”

Alex was now angry Nick had just read this letter before him and had the nerve to not tell him what it contained? He opened the envelope and took the pages. He took a deep breath and began to read it…

Alex,

“What is right to be done cannot be done too soon.” Jane Austen.

With that said I should begin by telling you not to feel guilty about the kiss. I know you are probably wondering why I decided to leave so sudden but after reading this I hope you will understand.

There are two reasons on why I decided it was time for me to go. One is that when I arrived here in LA, I met great people amongst them is Rochelle. She is a beautiful person and she really does love you very much. I believe she will make you very happy and you deserve it.

Why I say this? Well because I might have not completely told you how much of a teenybopper I was back in the ninety’s. I didn’t want to make you think I was an obsessed fan because well I’m not. I just really do appreciate good music. I’ve loved the Backstreet boys since they made it big here in the US.

Once you asked me who my favorite backstreet boy was well… I could not answer you then because I didn’t want to freak you out. Now I will tell you that YOU have been my favorite Backstreet boy since I remember. I always felt some sort of connection with you. I know I’m weird but trust me I didn’t come to LA to stalk I wouldn’t do that. That would really make me a psycho I think.
The reason why I found myself in LA has to do with reason number two of my departure. I don’t like people to feel sorry for me, but I think you deserve to know. I was thirteen when I was diagnosed with Leukemia. I struggled with it but after a bone and marrow transplant everything seemed to go well with me. I even graduated high school and enrolled in college. It wasn’t till two years ago that I found out my cancer is back. It’s rare but it did… again I went through treatments but nothing helped. I took this as a sign that maybe I was meant to live a short life and instead of worrying about how to make my life last longer I should live to the fullest whatever I have left.

So I embarked in a journey that started in New York, my parents weren’t as supportive of my decision but had no choice but to accept it. I’ve been on medication but it only helps coop with my pain. I made a list of things I wanted to do before I died and in that list was you.

I wanted to get to know you the real you aside from you being in a band. I wanted to be your friend and nothing more. I never meant to feel more than a teenage crush on you. When I met you I just realized how great of a guy you are.

I just wanted to be your friend and Rochelle’s. I really meant no harm and in all honesty I really think you’re talented. I didn’t think you would feel anything more for me than friendship too… but when you told me what you did that day on the beach I knew I couldn’t continue to be around you for my sake and yours.

I really do need to focus on the rest of my list and so I decided to leave. I also wanted you to have my Stang… I could not leave it in better hands. Enjoy it and go on late night drives without getting caught by the police… lord knows you can’t get off as easy as I did especially if it’s a male officer.

Meeting you has been a great experience and I will treasure our time together. I wish you and Rochelle the best. Always remember to be you… you are great person and when things are going hay wire just breathe… close your eyes and just breathe.

I will understand if you are mad at me for this. The good thing is if you are angry at me for this, for not telling you the truth I won’t be there to see that anger and disappointment in your eyes.

Your friend (and fan),

Daphne Newbury

P.S.: “As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so a life well spent brings happy death.” Leonardo Da’Vinci (One of my favorite quotes. I hope it enlightens you as it has done to me.)

Alex took a deep breath as he finished reading it. So she was sick and really sick actually. He had been right in suspecting he was her favorite Backstreet boy. He didn’t know if he was angry or hurt by this. To some extent he understood her.

*******

“Ok I got this, I know how to put my scarf on Janelle.” Daphne said as she wrapped it around her neck.

They had just arrived at the airport in Madison and were now searching for Everett. Janelle smiled as she made eye contact with him. “There is your brother,” she told Daphne.

Daphne looked up and toward where Janelle was pointing. “Huh, what is Chase doing here? I did you tell him I was coming home?”

“NO,” Janelle said nervously. Ok maybe she had but it was for a good cause. Chase would be the best antidote for Daphne’s broken heart. She was not stupid Daphne really had fallen for Alex.

“I’m going to kill you.” Daphne said as she smiled as her brother and ex boyfriend approached them.

“Hey you.” Everett said hugging her. “You look good.” He said but the look on his face said differently.

“Thanks.” Daphne said knowing well that is not what he really wanted to say.

“Daph,” Chase said giving her a smile. He wrapped his arms around her and inhaled her scent. “I’ve missed you.”

“Chase,” Daphne said wrapping her arms around him. She had forgotten how cute he was and his arms around her made her feelings for him come back. “I’ve missed everybody too.” She said not wanting to give him any hopes of reconciliation.

“Well we should head home mom made your favorite,” Everett said awkwardly as Chase continued to hug Daphne.

“Yeah good idea.” Daphne said. She gave Janelle a look and she nodded. She didn’t want her family to know she had stopped her treatments. Only Janelle and she would know that.

********

Alex made it to his house and as he opened the gate he gasped in surprise. He parked and turned off the car. He put the letter in the glove compartment and stepped out of the car. “Monkee what are you doing here?”

“Well as it turns out I hate family trips now… I’ve missed you so much so I decided to come back home and spend a few days with you before you headed out to Tennessee.” Rochelle said as she hugged him.

Alex hugged her back before kissing her. “I’ve missed you too.”

Rochelle smiled after pulling away from the kiss… “Hey I have a question what is Daphne’s mustang doing in our garage?”
HOME by summer03
Author's Notes:
ok here is the next chapter... I really would love your feedback. I'm on a roll. :)
It was the middle of October already, she felt the cool breeze. Her supply of medicine was dwindling but she was not going to back out from her intention. She was ready for whatever was to come.

She looked out of the apartment she occupied right on top of her grandfather’s garage, her pops had the best land in all Portage a total of twenty acres. She smiled at the beauty of fall, the yellows, oranges and reds were beautiful as the sun came up.

So far coming back home had been the best choice. Her mother seemed more at ease and she realized that fall and winter were her favorite seasons, Wisconsin was the best state for those seasons. It was already cool.

She was brought back from her thoughts by the knock on her door. She assumed it to be Janelle so without much thought opened the door. “Chase?” she said.

“Hey,” Chase said giving her smile. “Can I come in?”

“Uhm yeah sure,” Daphne said allowing him in. “What are you doing here this early?”

“Well I wanted to invite you for later tonight we are playing at a bar in Madison. I would love for you to listen to our new material. I also have this.” He said taking out an orange envelope.

“Oh what’s this?” she said taking the envelope and opening it. She smiled as she saw the invitation. “Oh your annual Halloween bash.”

“Yeah when Carina heard you were back she made sure to give me an invitation for you.” Chase said giving her his lopsided grin.

“How’s your sister?” Daphne asked as she heard her name.

“Good she is actually knocked up. Pete is super excited about it…” Chase said excited himself.

“Your going to be an uncle finally?” Daphne said excitedly.

“Yeah… that way Carina will have someone else to take care of instead of me! I am twenty seven for crying out loud.” Chase said as he ran his hand through his Mohawk.

“Well to her you will always be her baby brother she did raise you…” Daphne said. “I was just about to go for a walk up the hill maybe find some blackberry’s”

“Oh cool need a companion?” Chase asked as he saw Daphne put on her coat and a scarf.

“Ok but you sure you can?” she asked as she grabbed her Ipod.

“I can and you might need protection against a bear or something.” Chase said grinning at her.

“Yeah? What can you do? Run faster than me to get help?” she asked laughing a little.

“I can give myself to the bear so you can run.” He said with his lopsided smile again. “Your hair looks wicked in this haircut.” He said as he got closer to her and ran his fingers through her long bangs.

“Thanks…” she said blushing. Chase always made her blush, he was looking extra hot too. “Shall we go?” she asked.

“Yeah…” he cleared his throat.

**********

“I still can’t believe she had to leave so suddenly. Poor Daphne, I really liked her.” Rochelle said as she crawled up the bed and toward Alex.

“Yeah so she asked me to keep an eye on her car. She even put the house for sale.” Alex said feeling a little guilty for sort of lying to Rochelle.

“Well let’s hope all is well with her parents and she can return. If not maybe we can help by sending it or maybe we could drive it up there for her.” Rochelle said as she straddled her fiancé.

“We’ll wait and see.” Alex said pulling Rochelle in for a kiss. That was all it took for her to stop her blubbering about Daphne.

“Oh god I’ve missed you… I am so glad to be home.” Rochelle moaned as Alex found her sensitive spot on her neck.

Alex only moaned as he tried to put away his thoughts about the lie he was feeding his fiancée. He still didn’t know what to make of the letter and it was apparent he had to put that off till he was alone again.

He stopped what he was doing and allowed Rochelle to take control. In that moment it hit him what if Daphne was really ill to the point that she felt she had little time wouldn’t she want to be with her family? What if she had gone back home? There was only one way to find out. He knew the perfect person for the job… so did this mean he had made up his mind and was not angry at Daphne?

What had Daphne done to him?

“Alex!” Rochelle said as she smacked his chest. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” he said quickly as he grabbed her and pinned her on the bed. “Let me show you just how happy I am to see you…” he said as he began to kiss her again.

“No I’m not in the mood anymore…” Rochelle said pushing him away. “Maybe another night when your not lost in your thoughts.”

He sighed as he saw Rochelle get off bed and into the bathroom. "What the hell is the matter with you Alex you just said no to sex with your hot fiancée." He reached for his cellphone after he heard the shower being turned on.

"Hello?" he heard Nick say.

"I need your help." Alex said cutting to the chase.

*******

"Daph," Chase said as they sat on a fallen tree.


"Hmm," Daphne said as she looked at the beauty of the woods.

"I know you don't want me to talk about us but I can't help it." Chase said. "I love you and I know you are trying to spare me from suffering... but I am still suffering because I don't have you. I want to be with you as long as you are here."

"Chase," Daphne said putting space between them. "I know how you feel and trust me, I am very attracted to you right now, always have. But to see you suffer as you see me die is not something I can live with. Besides this past year I have learned so much about myself."

"Daph you love me right?" Chase asked cutting her from speaking.

Daphne bit her lip, she did love him but only half heartily for Alex had now taken the other half ok maybe more than half... but she wasn't going to admit that. Besides she didn't want to harm Chase more than she was already doing so she gave him a weak smile, "Yes."

"Then just let me in." He said before crashing his lips to hers.

Daphne felt the heat of the kiss and could not help but kiss him back. It brought her old memories and she loved those memories. Yet after a short second the face of Alex popped in her head and she pulled away.
Broken... by summer03
Author's Notes:
So another chapter... yay I am on a roll.
“I’ll be right back!” Rochelle yelled to Alex who was in the shower. She grabbed the keys to his SUV.

She unlocked and backed out of the house. She was trying to cook for lunch so she had made a list of things she needed. She wanted to do something special for Alex, he was suppose to head out to Chicago first for an Oprah special with they guys, then he was supposed to be in Tennessee for a week or so.

She wanted him to never forget who was waiting for him. Then they had to worry about the preparations for the Cruise. She couldn’t wait for the Cruise it was also going to be her first time on the Cruise, besides she had told AJ she was going to give a little pre-show of what was going to happen on there honeymoon.

She grinned as she saw her ring, she really was getting married and to AJ McLean. She didn’t understand why so many girls could not see how great he was. It was her gain and their loss.

She arrived at the grocery store and before heading in she decided to go over the list she had done before leaving the house. “Oh I forgot to put limes and eggplant.” She told herself as she began to look for a pen in her purse. “Shit no pen.” She said as she began to look for one in the car.

She couldn’t find one and then she reached over to the glove compartment. She began to dig through it and found a permanent marker. “This will have to do.” She said as she jotted down what she had forgotten. Then she began to put everything she had taken out back into the glove compartment. That is when the letter caught her eye.

She bit her lip and put it back into the glove compartment. She then walked out and into the grocery store. She tried to not think of the letter but the letter looked very feminine no Alex had many fans probably he had gotten a fan letter.

Why was he keeping it in the glove compartment though? She tried not to think about it as she continued her shopping and after finally paying and walking to the car. She finished putting everything in and no matter how much she didn’t want to snoop she did.

She grabbed the envelope and opened it. She arched her brow as she began to read…

******

“Thanks Greg I knew I could count on you. You found her quickly.” Alex said as he came down from the room freshened up. He hung the phone and called out to his fiancée, “Ro, Monkee?” he said as he walked into the kitchen.

He right away found the note explaining her disappearance. He went ahead and took that time to book a flight and to make some arrangements. He also had to come up with a good excuse to his early departure to Chicago…. Madison actually.

He was about to dial Nick’s when he heard the door to the house open. “Babe is that you?” he called out, he got worried when he didn’t hear her. “Ro?” he said walking toward the foyer.

“How long?” Rochelle asked in a sigh as tears came down her face.

Alex felt his breath leave and could not seem to breathe again. He only stared at the letter in her hand… she had found his letter. How stupid of him to leave there but she never snooped into his stuff. “We never…” he said swallowing a big knot in his throat.

“She is in love with you… and what about the whole beach situation?” Rochelle asked as she pointed to the paragraph that talked about that. “For her sake and yours?” she repeated the line.

“I can explain.” Alex said stepping toward her.

“What that you felt sorry for her cause she is dying? Don’t give me that bullshit it seems you just found out yourself in this letter.” Rochelle said.
“No…I wasn’t going to say that. I was going to say that I love you very much Ro. I don’t know how to explain what I began to feel for her. I was a little confused so she left and then I realized that its you… nothing happened between us.” Alex said.

*********

“I got them… I can manage mom.” Daphne said as she continued to wash the dishes.

“You look a little pale and tired… I really can do them you go and sit with dad.” Mrs. Newbury said.

“Mom I’m dying… of course I look like a zombie. But really I can do this, just let me do it.” Daphne said annoyed and then she felt bad as she saw her mother’s look. “I’m sorry.” She managed to say as she washed the soap off her hands.

“No I’m sorry for always bringing it up…” her mother said as tears began to form in her eyes.

“I have to go.” Daphne said as she walked away only getting her coat and scarf.

“Daph!” she heard her father call after her but she didn’t wait for him to catch up to her.

“I’m fine,” She yelled as she got on her bike and began down hill into the main road. She took a deep breath as she let the wind hit her face; it felt nice to her clammy hot skin.

She didn’t have to think to know where she was going. After a mile of pedaling she saw the white house. She could here the loud music, she smiled as she reached the drive way. The garage door was open and she could hear the music.

She climbed off the bike and began to walk into the garage and stared as Chase sang his lungs out. His eyes were shut as he sang, she gave Pete a smile. Pete had seen her already and he stopped playing his guitar.

“What the hell Pete,” Chase said finally opening his eyes. He was looking toward Pete who pointed toward the entrance of the garage. “Daph.” He said smiling.

“Let’s take a break.” Pete said looking at the drummer and the keyboard guy. “Carina has pizza in the oven lets go.” He said and so they left Daphne and Chase alone.

“Is that a new song?” Daphne finally asked.

“Yeah I just finished writing it two days ago. I was finally inspired.” Chase said as he put his guitar down and walked up to Daphne. “So why do I have the pleasure of having you here?”

“I just needed a little change… I needed to feel normal.” She said as she wrapped her arms around his neck. “I need a little normal right now.”

“I’m here,” Chase said hugging her. “You want to go somewhere we can talk?”

“Yeah.” Daphne managed to say still not letting go of him.

*********
End Notes:
Review please?
Arrival... by summer03
“Where are you?” Daphne asked Janelle.

“I am in Madison.” Janelle said as she walked into Dane County Regional Airport.

“Where are you? Wait what are you doing in Madison? You were supposed to be here so you can try out your outfit for the Halloween party.” Daphne said as she stared at her outfit. “You know nana did a good job with my dress… impressive for a few days notice.”

“I bet you will be one badass Paloma Faith.” Janelle said. “Listen I will go over after I get back to Portage… I love you.” She said before hanging up. She looked at the arrivals and knew she was early the flight from LAX had still to arrive.

******

Alex looked out the window of the plane he now sat in. He couldn’t believe he had actually boarded a plane to Madison. He still didn’t know exactly what he was going to tell Daphne but now he had to see her.

[Flashback]

“Ro,” he said as he rested his back to the door to the room they shared. “You can’t just not talk to me… I want to work this out I love you.”

“Just leave me alone I need a minute!” Rochelle yelled and something hit the door.

Alex sighed and closed his eyes. “This is not fair Rochelle I was going to tell you about this whole situation I just feared this… what is happening right now!”

He didn’t hear anything from the other side, “I’m not moving from here to talk to me.” He said as he began to pick at his fingers.

He pulled his phone and quickly texted Nick. ‘I fucked up Nick’ he pushed send. No sooner had he put his phone on the floor when a message from Nick appeared.

‘Let me guess? Rochelle? You didn’t tell her did you and she found out?’ Alex chuckled in sarcasm at well Nick could decipher what had occurred. ‘What do I do?’ he texted back.

‘Grovel.’ Was the word he received back and sighed? That was exactly what he was doing and it wasn’t working. ‘Not working.’ He texted back.

‘Keep groveling and you could give me the Stang? ;)’ was the response he got back and it frustrated him more so he just threw the phone on the carpet and took a deep breath. “Ro…”

It was exactly then when the door open and he almost fell back. “Now,” Rochelle said her face tear stained as she stood with her arms crossed. “I just wish you would have been honest with me… I might have flipped out but I would have understood.”

Alex stood quick and gave her a small smile, “I love you Rochelle and I promise you nothing happened. I can’t lie and say I didn’t feel a little attracted to her but I love you.” He said with the most sincere he could manage because it was the truth.

“I know you love me.” Rochelle said putting her hand on his chest before leaning up to him and capturing his lips in a very sensual kiss. “Now.” She pulled away producing an envelope from her pocket.

“Yeah,” Alex said smiling at her.

“I want you to give this to Daphne personally.” She gave him the envelope. She then grabbed her suitcase which was still packed. “I am going to go on a little vacation to clear my mind. I want you to go up there and figure out what it is you feel for her. Make her happy… Alex she is dying.” Her lips trembled as she said it.

“What are you saying?” Alex asked still not wanting to understand what she was insinuating. “No I can’t do that because I love you.”

Rochelle nodded a little and gave him a remorseful look. “I will get to have you forever or till do us part. She is not going to live much longer why not make her last days or months of life memorable?” She said as tears began to flow down her face. “I know what your thinking but I promise I want you to. I will be here when you come back and I will marry you Alex.” She said kissing him again.

[End of Flashback]

So here he was on a plane to Madison. He didn’t know exactly why he really was doing it for? Was only for what Rochelle said or if it was because he really could not have moved on without telling her that she had changed him in a good way.

He felt a lump form in his throat as he realized that Rochelle was right she was going to die. He looked at the letter he had in his hands for her. He only wondered what Rochelle said in it.

********

“HEY!” Janelle yelled as she spotted AJ.

Alex gave her weak smile as he walked up to her. “Thanks for doing this.”

“Well she is my friend,” Janelle said hugging him. “So tell me exactly why you decided to come up here and how the hell did you find us?”

Alex chuckled a little, “I have my ways… She doesn’t know right?”

“Nope she has no idea that I got contacted by you and that I am here to pick you up. So I asked for an invitation for you for this Sunday’s Halloween bash… the biggest event in Pardeeville Wisconsin population of 1,982 people most retired. But the next town Portage is where most of our people come from for the bash. It will be fun,” Janelle said.

“So Daphne is from Portage or Pardeeville?” Alex asked.

“Pardeeville is where she lives but we are always in town which would be Portage… Unless we drive all the way here to Madison.” Janelle said. “Anyway we have to get you a custom for the bash it is dress up. I am going to Katy Perry and Everett is going to Russell.” She said.

“Wow… well I guess I am wearing my custom I will be AJ McLean Backstreet boy?” he said in a low tone not wanting to get spotted.

“Oh no will find something don’t worry I got the best idea ever.” She told him as she linked her arm around his and pulled him toward her car. “Don’t laugh at my car ok.” She told him as they spotted the orange Volkswagen hippie van with the stickers and all.

Alex smiled as he saw it, “Nice… love the stickers.”

“Well it was free and it works perfectly fine.” Janelle said as she opened the side door to put Alex’s luggage in it. “Alright Alex lets roll we have a long ride home. I have an extra room where you can stay unless you want to stay at the only motel we have?”

“I’m fine I can stay with you if you don’t mind. I don’t want Daphne to know I am here till Sunday.”

“I know I got you covered, no worries she won’t find out beside Sunday is only two days away.”
End Notes:
ok here is the next chapter... hope you like and Please review. :)
Dedication + Shock by summer03
Author's Notes:
Feedback appreciated....
“How do I look?” Daphne asked her brother as she twirled.

“You look like Paloma.” He said smiling at her.

“You sure my hair is wild enough to be Russell?” he asked as he looked at himself in the mirror.

“Of course darling… you look quite handsome. You should work on her accent though.” Daphne said in her British accent.

“You look good…” Everett said in a more serious tone.

“Yeah? I feel good today… no pain. I guess it has to do with the Halloween spirit.” She said.

“Maybe… I think you should make an appointment to start seeing Dr. Moore again.” Everett said as he looked at her bottles of medicine they looked almost empty.

“Yeah I will.” Daphne said rolling her eyes. “Today we are going to talk about that let’s go we have party to get too. Now tell me again why Janelle told you to come for me?”

“She said she got stuck at her job longer than expected so she would meet us at Carina’s house.”

********

“Jade Jadddeeddd,” Chase said as he stopped right in front of Daphne and Everett.

“Nice Steve Tyler.” Everett said in his British accent.
“Thanks the wig is a little itchy but I said why not be Steve. Like the fake lips?” he asked pouting his lips.

“Very Steve Tylerish…” Daphne said smiling at him.

“Yeah look at you that dress is hot… Let me guess who you are?” Chase said looking at her for a minute.

“Paloma Faith.” Everett said rolling his eyes at Chase.

“I knew that.” Chase said winking at Daphne. “So the refreshments are over there and enjoy. If you bump into Johnny Depp can you tell him Steve is looking for him… we need to set up for our performance.”

“Ok,” Daphne said.

“Oh and if you see my fiancée Katy will send her our way.” Everett said.

Daphne laughed, “You do you realized you just called Janelle your fiancée.”

“No I said Katy Perry…” Everett said smiling.

*******

“Are you sure?” Alex asked Janelle as they walked toward the big barn that was decorated for the party.

“Positive you look good and she won’t recognize you till you want her too.” Janelle said as she took out her lollipop, “There my outfit is complete. Now just walk in after I do so they won’t see us walking in together.”

“Ok.” Alex said fixing his white gloves.

Janelle laughed as she spotted Daphne dancing away, “Paloma!” she yelled as she walked up to her.

“Katy!” Daphne said hugging her friend. “Russell is somewhere around here.”

“Your tipsy already?” Janelle asked concerned.

“Who me? No…. I am stone cold sober.” She said.

“Oh my god Chase is Steve Tyler?” Janelle said being distracted as he took the stage. The music was turned off as he took the mic.

“So I hope everyone is enjoying the party. My sister always throws the best Halloween party… this year she asked me to play so here we are. We are going to play for you… just a couple of songs.” Chase said.

Everyone cheered as they gathered around. “This first song is new I wrote it just a few days ago and only have practiced it with the band a couple of times. I want to dedicate to someone very special to me… you know who you are.” He said staring right at Daphne.

Daphne blushed when she saw all eyes on her. Everyone knew who he was talking about.

“I call it Never say never.” Chase said as he began to play his guitar.


Some things we don't talk about
Rather do without
And just hold the smile
Falling in and out of love
Ashamed and proud of
Together all the while

You can never say never
While we don't know when
But time and time again
Younger now than we were before

Don't let me go
Don't let me go
Don't let me go

Don't let me go
Don't let me go
Don't let me go….

Daphne suddenly felt the air was to thick where she stood so she turned to walk away “Are you ok?” Janelle asked her.

“Yeah I just need to use the ladies room.” She said staring at Chase as he sang the song. Just like that the song finished and then he began to sing another one.

*******

“I’m sorry.” Daphne said bumping into someone.

“It’s ok.” Alex said as he took of his hat. “are you ok?”

Daphne looked up and was faced with none other than Alex dressed as Phatom of the Opera. “How…where…When?” she mumbled not knowing exactly what she wanted to say.

“Hi,” Alex said smiling weakly. “You look nice with the long red hair and all.”

“How did you know where to find me?” Daphne asked still shocked to see him there.

“I have my ways…” he said staring at her. “Can we talk?”

Daphne only nodded as he took her hand and led her out the party.


********

Never say never - The Fray
Why are you here? by summer03
“What are you doing here?” Daphne finally asked as they both sat on a fallen tree trunk.

“What am I doing here?” Alex said removing his hat and mask. “I have tried to think of a way to explain that question because I knew you would ask me that.” He started as he looked at her.

“Well?” Daphne said as she rubbed her arms, it chilly she now realized it had been a bad idea to wear a strapless dress.

“I can’t really explain it without sounding like a total weirdo.” Alex finally said exhaling. “But how about I tell you that I am glad I found you because it was killing me that we had not seen each other after that wonderful kiss.”

Daphne shook her head, “I wanted to be that way. How did you know I was here?”

“I have my ways…” Alex said staring at her intently. “You can’t just go into someone’s life and change it. Then expect to just leave it without hurting that person!” he said a little angry.

“I’m sorry that wasn’t supposed to have happened.” Daphne said feeling horrible.

“I don’t believe that.” Alex said bluntly. “I believe that your purpose here is to change people’s lives. You’re a great talker and you free spirited Daphne… you can make the most grouchy person smile. It’s your nature to help people change and to experiment life the best way possible. I think that is what made me become attracted you… you not afraid to live.”

“That’s because I don’t have much more to live!” Daphne said.

“Don’t say that!” Alex said hugging her. “As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so a life well spent brings happy death.” Alex said softly into her ear. “A very wise person told me this and I believe to be true.”

“I lied…” She said hugging him.

“Have you tried seeing other specialist…?” Alex finally asked the question.

“It has spread Alex its everywhere. My kidneys are starting fail… Nothing can cure it… the medicine I’ve been taking is only to ease my pain.” She said.

“I know some people who know great doctors maybe they can help us.” Alex said.

Daphne shook her head and pushed him away slowly. “They all say the same thing Alex. I’ve traveled but not only to experience life to the fullest I’ve done research and have tried every treatment possible to find a cure. Nothing has helped.”

“Well then we should make the best of the time we have…” Alex said giving her smile.

“We?” Daphne asked.

“Yes I plan on staying here with you…” Alex said.

“No you can’t what about Rochelle? I can’t do that to her…” Daphne said standing up quickly. “You need to Alex and you have stay away.”

“About that…” Alex said pulling out the envelope. “She wanted me to give this to you.”

“What she knows you’re here?” Daphne asked shocked.

“Yes… she sent me to you.” He said as he handed her the envelope.

********

“Hey Janelle have you seen Daphe?” Chase asked as he spotted Janelle.

“Uhm no… I think she said she was going to the ladies room. Listen while I wait for her why don’t you dance with me… Russell has left me neglected.” She pulled on him till they were on the dance floor.

“Fine but then you are going to help me find her. I want her to tell me what she thought of the song.” He said smiling at her.

“She loved it.” Janelle said nervously as she looked around trying to spot Paloma Faith or a Phantom of the opera outfit in the crowded barn.

“She did? I hope she will finally let me be with her. I love her so much.” Chase said a smile on his face.

“Chase… maybe you should look for someone else. I’ve been with Daphne and she is not getting better. Don’t make her feel obligated to be with you. She loves you she does but she also doesn’t want to hurt you.”

Chase stared at Janelle, “Why are you all of a sudden on her side. She needs someone that loves her by her side. I will be there for her till her last breathe, of course always praying for a miracle that will save her.”

“Chase, just think about it ok? Don’t get offended you’re my friend and I am just telling you like it is.” Janelle said biting her bottom lip, she had a feeling that with AJ’s presence Chase was going to get into trouble.

“I understand your concern and thank you for caring but you know just how much I love her. I can’t just move on knowing she is still here and that she loves me still.”

Janelle swallowed the lump in her throat and smiled weakly. “I know.” She said in head only agreeing with him loving her still.

The song finished and Janelle quickly spoke, “Listen why don’t you check the bathroom and I’ll look around.”

“Fine if you find her just text me and if I find her then I’ll text you.” Chase said as he began to walk toward the restrooms.

“Hey Chase help me with this.” His brother in law Pete said to him as he passed by him.

“Ok.” He said hesitantly as he looked toward the bathroom. “Where do you want me to put the table?”

“Just put it by the shed tomorrow I’ll put away. It’s just Corina thinks we need more dancing space.” Pete said helping him fold the legs to the table.

“Only my sister,” Chase said as he picked up the table and began to walk out the crowded barn. He walked a few feet to the shed and put the table down. “Now I just have to find Daphne.” He told himself as he began to walk back to the barn.

He was almost to the entrance when saw the red dress, the dress Daphne was wearing. She was with someone, curiosity got him and he walked toward them. As he got nearer he had to stop in his tracks as he saw Daphne willing accept the kiss of the man with her…
Platonic... by summer03
“I am so sorry,” Daphne continued to repeat as she cleaned the blood from AJ’s face. “he’s stupid… I don’t know what could have gotten into him.”

AJ stopped Daphne from her task and stared at her, “I’m fine relax.” He let go of her hand and looked around the small place she called home. “I like it here its cozy.”

Daphne took a sigh of relief and smiled, “Thanks I had bigger plans for it but then I got sick again and things changed.” She pressed the wet rag back on his lip. “It looks like it’s going to swell.”

“It’s nothing. So I assume that was Chase?” he asked nonchalantly as he took her hand in his. “Very interesting persona.”

Daphne straightened her red dress as she got more comfortable. She bit her lip, “he is a great guy and his appearance does no justice to heart.”

“You love him?” Alex asked knowing by the look on her face she did.

“Do you love Rochelle?” she answered with a question of her own.

“You haven’t answered me.” Alex said trying to not feel the pain in his heart at the mention of her.

“YES.” She stated standing up looking out the window. “But with that same love I have for him, I can’t let him see me become so ill and then go.”

AJ swallowed the knot in his throat, “I love Rochelle… I want to marry her.”

“Then why are you here?” Daphne asked turning to face him.

He stood up and walked to her, “I don’t quite know Daphne all I know is I feel the need to be here with you and I am not going to let you push me away.”

Daphne wanted to smile but instead looked down, “After everything I told you, you still want to be my friend?”

“Well it’s kind of nice to know I have fans like you around. Besides I do enjoy your company Daphne… your the cherry the completes a sundae in everyone’s life. It’s sad how you can’t see that. I mean you have changed lives and you don’t want to see it.” He picked her head up and smiled as she looked at him.

“Platonic love.” She whispered to him. “You’re my platonic love.”

“Platonic?” AJ said in a quizzical tone. He then smiled at her and kissed her forehead, “I like it.”

**********

November came and with it colder days. For a place as small as Pardeeville it had many great places to go…

“These are sweet.” AJ said as he ate another wild raspberry.

“Yeah there great,” Daphne wiped her forehead. “We should head home… we have a long walk back.”

“You ok?” he asked in concern as he saw her clammy face.

“Yeah fine just need to rest.” Daphne gave him a small smile as she began to walk down the path back to her place. “I was thinking this year I want to cook for Thanksgiving.”

“I think that is an awesome idea…” AJ said smiling but deep inside he was worried. He had witnessed two major episodes since his arrival and it killed him to see he could do nothing.

“I was thinking a very traditional dinner turkey, ham, corn bread, mashed potatoes, and everything else.” Daphne closed her eyes as she pictured it all. Then just like that she felt the floor move under her feet.

AJ dropped the basket he had full of raspberries as he saw Daphne begin to fall. “Daphne!” he yelled as he caught her she was not conscious.

He took her in his arms and began his journey back toward the house where her parents lived. He didn’t know how he had done it but he had made it in record time. “She fainted.” He told her mother as he laid her down.

He watched silently as Daphne’s mother cared for her. Daphne was right this was not something to witness and suddenly he wanted to run. But he couldn’t he was never going to run again, he had done it once and missed saying goodbye to his grandmother he was not going to do that again.

*********

“Not yet don’t move.” Daphne demanded as she continued to draw. “Almost done.”

“I hate being still for so long.” Alex complained as he continued to sit still.

“There done.” Daphne said putting her brush down. She turned the canvas over for him to see it. “What do you think?”

“Very nice,” he commented as he stared at the portrait of him. It was unique and all black and white except for in the center it was radiant with color an auburn color.

“The color,” She began when she saw him staring, “Is your soul it shines right through you.”

Alex was speechless at her description; he really had never thought he was the nicest person in the world. In fact he had a lot demons that still found ways to find there way back to him in the oddest time. “You are so talented.” Was all he could get out.

“Well I can defend myself. We should head back,” she said as the wind began to blow. “I have a feeling we will get to see snow soon.”

“It’s still November,” Alex said as he helped her with her art supplies.

“Well this is Wisconsin you know.” Daphne smiled she was tired and she needed to rest the doctor had told her not to exert herself to much but she never one to really follow orders but her body was now making it impossible to disobey. She was really feeling this disease gain control of her body.

“You ok?” Alex asked when he saw her stop.

“Yeah just thinking how I hope it does snow. I’d like to see it one more time at least.” She smiled as she began to walk.

Alex didn’t know what to say, so he only followed. This was getting harder and he needed to talk to someone. He had called Nick but he had not been much help, he had tried but he knew who he really needed to talk to. Rochelle.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10284