Just Haven't Met You.......Yet by Simple Sue
Summary:

Alyssa was a hopeless romantic despite the many, many broken hearts she'd suffered. She believed there had to be at least one good man out there. One that would give her the fairytale romance she'd dreamed of. The love at first sight, foot poppin first kiss kind. Too bad he was already off the market when she spotted him.


Brian was just a country boy at heart. All this city life was getting the better of him. He loved his career, loved his wife. Up until that night, that is. The night he discovered that love at first sight really did exist. He couldn't get to her that night but he knew she would be his someday. He just didn't know how.....yet.


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Brian, Group
Genres: Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 7729 Read: 6430 Published: 10/20/10 Updated: 11/02/10

1. Chapter 1 by Simple Sue

2. Chapter 2 by Simple Sue

3. Chapter 3 by Simple Sue

4. Chapter 4 by Simple Sue

5. Chapter 5 by Simple Sue

Chapter 1 by Simple Sue
"I swear. I wonder why we even go out to dinner anymore when you can't get a table right away," Leigh Anne huffed as the group was escorted to a large set of tables toward the center of the restaurant.
Brian stopped and gently pulled her back with him."This is your Birthday. Could you at least be grateful for a few minutes?"
"Why? You're a celebrity. They should have had it set and ready to go before we got here."
"I don't want to say this Leigh but you've become a snob."
"Me?! Rochelle's got me beat there."
"Now you're just being mean to be mean. I'm beggin you to stop this childish behavior."
"You think I'm being childish?! I'll give you childish!" She started stomping through the restaurant to catch up to the group.
He followed quickly behind her and caught her arm again at the table. She turned to face him." What is this really about Leigh?" They'd been arguing everyday for nearly two weeks. They'd been married ten years and had never argued over anything more than what he was wearing out the door that night. Lately, she'd start one over something as small as getting Baylee out of bed in the morning.
"So now I'm not invisible?!"
"Excuse me?"
"We used to talk all the time Brian and now it's like you can't stand to carry on a conversation with me in public."
"As opposed to you flirting with every waiter that waits on us every time we go out to dinner?"
"If we'd have had a host and not a hostess we'd have been here a hell of a lot faster than we were."
This wasn't the woman he married. What was going on?"So one of us was supposed to turn on the charm so you didn't have to stand in your three inch heels for more than five seconds?!"
"Yes!"
He rolled his eyes incredulously."you amaze me."
"You amazed me at one time."
"Now we know why I've been sleeping on the couch the last two weeks. It's a wonder I didn't rush over to the bar, grab that blonde and bend her over the barstool."
She smirked."You'd be lucky if she so much as looked at you. Women want a strong, virile looking man not a scrawny assed, balding boybander."
"You did."
"I must have been on drugs."
"So you really think women don't find me attractive anymore?"
"No I don't."
"Let's test your theory then. First one that looks my way is sleeping in OUR bed tonight."
"Oh! I'm scared."
She mocked him just as he locked eyes with the most gorgeous baby blues he'd ever encountered. He knew it was just an idle threat but the sensation he got was something he hadn't ever felt in his life. They talk about love at first sight but he couldn't believe there was really such a thing." There she is."
Leigh Anne turned her head to find the object of Brian's sudden fixation."Go for it!" She challenged.
"Brian. Come on. You don't wanna do this. Let's just salvage what we can of the evening,"Howie urged.
"I'll let it rest but I've lost my appetite. I think I'm just gonna call it a night. Happy Birthday Leigh!" Not once letting his gaze drift from the stranger at the bar.




"Did you catch that eye candy over there lady?" Skylar nudged as Alyssa sipped on her strawberry dacquiri.
"Yeah. I have," She responded as his eyes bore into her. Almost like he was looking right through her and into her soul.
Yeah, she was a hopeless romantic. Too bad the guy already had a girlfriend or wife. Same old story. Just when she thought she had one down, the girlfriend or wife would always appear at his side. She hadn't given up on love. She'd just given up looking for it. Seemed like it was staring her right in the eyes at that very moment but she'd never know.
Skylar had seen the look in her friend's eyes. At least she thought it was that same look of desire Alyssa had at least once a week. Thank God their pager went off just then."Let's go lady. Our table's ready."
"Okay." She followed her friend blindly through the sea of tables before the waiter seated them. Placing the menus before them he politely told them he would return in a few minutes to take their orders. She couldn't get those eyes out of her mind though. The fates weren't in her favor apparently. Maybe they were trying to tell her that she'd see him again, to just sit tight and enjoy what you've got right now.
"The waiter's kinda hot isn't he?"
"Yeah. He's okay but you always go for a man in uniform." Teasing her friend and coming back to reality. There was no such thing as love at first sight. She just had to settle for the dream of it.
"Girlie. You'll thank me later."
"For what?"
"For stopping you from making a mess of your night."
"I forgot. Girl's night out even if we meet a guy whilst we're dancing later."
"You got it sister."
Holding her drink up, she nodded to Skylar to do the same." A toast. Screw men! Tonight it's all about the girls!" She just wished she believed she'd heed that.
Chapter 2 by Simple Sue
They were on the dance floor giving every man in the club their money's worth. Alyssa was their ticket to free drinks all night. They generally bought the first ones and Alyssa would play with the straw and flirt with her eyes before reeling them in with the come hither finger motion. The lick of the lips is usually all it took though. The guys would buy them drinks, get a couple of dances and then Alyssa would move onto the next victim but there was something different going on tonight. The whole screw men thing flew right out the window the minute she set eyes on him. Skylar knew it was useless to talk her out of this one. He was cute in an untraditional way. Okay, not that even. He just wasn't Skylar's type. She liked 'em long and strong. Her motto was he has to be at least six foot to ride this ride. It always cracked Alyssa up."Go."
"What?" Alyssa turned around to face Skylar.
"Go. That guy is like eating you up and I'm not standing in the way this time. He's available and wants you."
"But what about?"
"I live with you Alyssa. I don't want you to be mopey for the next two weeks because you might have had a chance at true love. Now go before he finds somebody else."
"I love you!" She hugged Skylar and left the dance floor. There he was.She usually went for the metrosexuals but he was so cute. Rock group T-shirt under a black short sleeve shirt loosely hanging opened. He wrapped it up with a pair of blue jeans. Big, crystal blue eyes met hers as she approached.
"I like the way you dance," he said and smiled.
"Isn't that every man's fantasy?"
"No. Every man's fantasy would be to be sandwiched between that."
"Oh." She nodded with an amused smile.
"I just blew it didn't I?" He diverted his eyes to the floor then cautiously raised his gaze back to hers.
"No. I like an honest man. I'm Alyssa."
"Mark. So can I buy you a drink?"
"I'd say yes but I think I've had way too much as it is already tonight."
"Now you hurt my feelings."
"Something tells me you'll recover."
He sighed and turned to the bar; setting his bottle of beer on countertop." I don't know. I've had a lot of women turn me down tonight but you might just break my heart if you say no."
She reached over and grabbed the bottle; taking a swig before responding to him." I thought I was the one that was supposed to play hard to get."
"You are playing hard to get. You still haven't let me buy you that drink." Brushing the bangs away from his face. His jet black hair hung just below his ears with a slight wave to it.
"You aren't gonna give up are you?"
"Not until you say yes."
She bit her lip then replied,"I'll have a tequilla sunrise then."
"So you and your friend come here often? "He said as he beckoned the bartender with a nod of his head.
"Every couple of months or when there's a really hot DJ."
"As in?"
"As in one of the best in the country."Alyssa giggled.
"So tonight?"
"Tonight was supposed to be girl's night out."
"So what happened?"
"You," she flirted as the bartender approached.
After he'd taken the order, Mark leaned up off the counter."So are you gonna take me home and use me like all the rest of them?"
"Who?"
"That long line of broken hearts rippling down the coast of Cali."
"How are you so sure they didn't break mine?"
"Because any man in his right mind wouldn't leave a woman as beautiful as you."
"So maybe I broke a few but I'm sure a few have been crushed by you."
"I plead the fifth." He smiled and took a swig of his drink as he leaned his elbows on the bar.
"Law student?"
"Nah. I just watch a lot of law shows."
"So do I but it doesn't make me an expert,"Alyssa teased as the bartender returned with her drink.
"Ouch!" He said; feigning heartbreak before he paid the bartender.
After taking a sip of her drink from the straw, she said," So tell me what your favorite one is."
"I have a couple but Criminal Minds is my top. Yours?"
"Law and Order:SVU but Criminal Minds is second."
"That's a good one too."
The DJ started playing a dance mix of NSYNC's Pop and Alyssa started moving to the beat.
"You like this stuff?"
"What?"
"Boybands."
"And how would you know this is a boyband?"
"Lucky guess,"he replied as he nonchalantly took a drag of his beer.
"You're not gettin off that easy."
"Fine. I used to work for one of them."
"Used to?" Alyssa raised her brow discerningly.
"I work for a different one now."
"So are you gonna tell me which one?"
"Someday maybe."
"I'll give you that. So are we gonna stand here and drink all night or are you gonna show me some moves?"
"Well I have learned some over the years, I guess I could show you how to do it."
"Bring it on baby."


He ended up being the perfect gentleman all night. The dancing; close but not too close. The walk on the beach; hand in hand and barefoot. Watching the sunrise with his arms wrapped around her; priceless. She knew it had to end but if it was as picture perfect a night as she could have only dreamed up then there would be more where that came from. He walked her to the door and took her hand.
"Can I tell you something?"
"Anything."
"I've never spent the night with a woman and not been...y'know."
"You're gonna get shy on me now?"
" A little maybe."
"Did you expect to get lucky?"
"Yeah."
"Then I don't think any less of you. You've been honest with me so far. All that matters is what happens."
"Then would I be too forward in inviting myself in for a cup of coffee?"
" A little but my roommate's probably pissed to high heaven for ditching her last night."
"Oh yeah."
"Yeah. I'll have to smooth things over before we talk about you coming in."
"So there is going to be a next time."
"I was just waiting for you to ask. You have your cell handy?"
Fishing through his pockets, he found what he needed. "Hold on one second."
"What?"
"Let me take your picture so when you call, I can see your gorgeous face smiling at me."
"Boy that shy guy wore off real quick."
"Smile."
"I look a mess."
"You look beautiful. Now smile."
She didn't know what it was about his charm but she gave in. After he snapped it and hit save, he turned the phone to her."See. Windblown and all, you're still the most beautiful girl in the world."
"Okay Romeo, let me put my number in now." Snatching the phone from him and pulling up the contact list. After she added her information and hit save, she handed it back over.
"So when am I gonna see you again?"
"That depends on you."
"I'm gonna miss you."
"Then don't follow the three day rule,"Alyssa teased then softly pecked him on the cheek." Goodnight."
"Goodnight."Sure he was disappointed but she was so different from every other girl he'd gone out with, he wasn't about to screw it up with something as simple as a goodbye kiss. He'd see her soon enough.
Alyssa watched as he pulled out of the drive before turning around and unlocking the door. Once in, she leaned against it and grinned.
"Glad you had a good time. I was worried sick about you,"Skylar scolded. "You do know how to pick up your phone don't you?!"
"Sky. I'm so sorry. I really am. I was just having a good time. I forgot. It won't happen again." Hey! wait a minute! It was seven in the morning and she was up?! Oh no! She wasn't getting away with that as her friend stormed away."Get your ass back here now."
"What?!"
"Don't you dare read me the riot act lady! I had a lovely evening and you know how to pick up a damn phone to call me too. It's a neat little thing called a cell phone. I think you have one. If you were so goddam worried about me, why didn't you call?! My phone was on all night and I checked it a couple of times. I might have been having a good time but you're not my Mother!" And there it was as Skylar had traveled down the hall toward her room. The loudest snore you ever heard in your life.
"Shut the fuck up!" She whispered and pointed to her conquest sprawled out clean acrossed her bed. No wonder she was out here. There was no room left for her."Ain't he cute!"
The sheet covered what needed to be covered but from what she could see, boy was tall enough to ride the ride."Yeah but he snores like a foghorn."
"I know but fuck he's good. Big, blonde and stupid. Just the way I like 'em."
"Don't you want some romance in your life?" As they walked away from the room.
"Eventually but right now I'm having fun. I'm sorry about that. I just get jealous of how easy guys fall at your feet sometimes."
"I wished they didn't sometimes but there's something about him. He was the perfect gentleman all night."
"He didn't even try to kiss you goodnight?"
"He wanted to but I pecked him on the cheek and sent him on his way."
"I'd be careful."
"Why do you think I didn't let him kiss me goodnight?"Alyssa grinned as they approached her bedroom door.
"You're bad."
"I know but you love me anyway. Goodnight girlie."
They heard a thud as they hugged each other."Oh shit. He's up. I'll give ya all the horny details later."
"Looking forward to it." Alyssa smiled and closed her bedroom door. She slipped out of her flats and heard her text alert go off. She reached in and found the phone. She tossed her purse on the dresser and opened up the phone. "Miss you already. A lil something for you so you won't forget my face." She pulled up the picture of his smiling face and saved it to her phone along with his number. She'd put the song in later. She'd had some major flops recently but this was gonna be good. She just knew it.
Chapter 3 by Simple Sue
Alyssa picked up her cell phone when the NSYNC ringtone went off."Hey honey!"
"Hey babe. Sorry I'm running late again. I'm like five minutes away. I promise. Love you."
"Love you too. See you soon." Flipping the phone shut. She sighed heavily and plopped into the chair big plush couch.
"Late again?" Skylar looked up from the TV.
Alyssa nodded as she blankly stared at the TV.
"It doesn't bother you that he's always late?"
"He's not always late."
"No. Just for the last couple of weeks."
"Sky, I know you don't like him but don't start pulling out the 'did you ever stop to think he might be cheating on you' card out again because I know it's what you're thinking."
"It's what you should be thinking lady."
"Because he works odd hours? Oh yeah, I forget. They can't all be perfect like the ones you bring home. That doofy blonde you brought home a few months ago was a real winner."
"He was just for fun. I only watch out for you because you get into relationships. When I start to get serious about a guy again, you can interfere all you want."
"Whatever." Alyssa rolled her eyes and turned back to the TV.
"So what are you guys doing today?"
"We're going to a barbeque/ pool party. The people he works with he told me."
"I see."
"So what are you doing this lovely Saturday afternoon girlie?"
"Just chillin, hangin out, maybe play on my computer for awhile. Real party there huh?"
"It's fun if it's all you want to do. Sometimes I just like to hang out and play on the comp."
"Doesn't loverboy usually IM you though?"
"Yeah but what fun is it if you have a boyfriend and can't cyber with him?"
"Alyssa!"
"God Skylar! It's not like I'm sharing a bed with him. He's still using his own hand."
"That's just plain mean 'Lys." But I like it.
"I'm gonna go freshen up just a bit and make sure I got everything again."She rose from the couch and went into the kitchen where her things were setting on the table. Just then, then the doorbell rang. "Could you grab that please Sky?"
"Sure." She tried to be nice to the guy but there was a certain arrogance about Mark she just didn't care for. Something didn't feel right. She opened the door." Good to see you Skylar."
Wish I could say the same. "She's in the kitchen."
"Thank you,"he said as Skylar stepped aside to let him in. He was sure that if the girl had her choice, there'd be no way in hell Alyssa would even be dating him but he played nice for Alyssa's sake. He turned back once the door was closed."Skylar?"
"Yeah?"
"I know you don't like me very much but I was thinking maybe you'd like to come along with us today."
"I don't like you. Why would I want to?"
"I'm not asking you to be a third wheel. I have a friend that just seperated from his wife not too long ago and I think he would be perfect for you. If not, it's a party and free food."
Why was he being so nice? Did she really want to get into the inner workings of this guy's mind? Hell no! but free food and drink were always welcome. If not his friend, maybe there would be a guy anyway."Sure. 'Lys said it was a pool party too?"
"Yeah."
"Let me go grab a suit and stuff and I'll be right out."
"You're a good friend."
"Just one thing though,"Skylar got closer to him(much as it repulsed her) and softly threatened," being a good friend means if you break her heart, I break your balls." And stepped back."We good?"
"I understand. Kitchen right?"
"Yeah. Be out in a few." Whimp.
"What was that all about?" Alyssa came into the entryway.
" Skylar's gonna join us. I've got a friend that I'm gonna try and set her up with."
"Is he a good guy?"
"I think so but enough about him, have I told you how beautiful you look today?" Slipping his arms around her waist.
"Not yet but thank you." She slid her arms around his neck and softly kissed him.
"I do love your kisses."
"Well you ain't so bad there yourself mister."
Skylar cleared her throat."Ready?"
"Yeah. Let me just grab my bag." Turning around to find Skylar had already retrieved it. "Let's get going then."


Only trouble was Skylar's 'date' didn't arrive quite on time as Skylar had hoped so she was forced to spend time with dipshit and her friend. She loved her friend but she could only play nice for so long. Luckily it was only an hour and the guy showed up.
"Come on Skylar. I just found him. Can you wait here for a minute babe?" Mark adressed Alyssa.
"Yeah. Sure," Alyssa replied as she absently pecked him on the cheek.
"See ya later 'Lys."
She nodded to her friend as they headed across the lawn toward him. Their eyes met and the whole world disappeared. It was happening again. That same twittery feeling she had in her stomach the first time they laid eyes on each other. Shit! Her timing was so off it wasn't even funny.
He couldn't believe his eyes. It was her again. He'd know those eyes anywhere but was she doing here? Did it really matter? They'd been given another chance. Or so he thought.
"Yo Bri!" Mark caught his attention."Trying to snatch my girl already?"
"That's your girlfriend?" Dragging his attention away from her only in sight.
"Yeah. Listen, I'd like you to meet her friend, Skylar. Skylar this is Brian."
"Nice to meet you Brian."
"Well I'll just leave you two to get to know each other,"Mark said and disappeared.
"I take it you don't like Mark?" Brian raised his brow.
" Love him to death. He's the greatest guy in the world,"Skylar returned sarcastically.
"I don't blame ya. I wouldn't want any friend of mine dating him."
"Really?" Skylar's interest piqued quite quickly.
"He's been known as our on road casanova."
"And I thought the band members got the groupies."
"According to my soon to be ex you don't."
"She's stupid then."
"Thank you. I think so too."
"Is that why you were late?"
"A little bit yeah. She didn't want to take our boy for the night and it was her turn anyway but enough about me."
"No. I'm interested. What happened?"
"Well about three months ago, I planned a Birthday dinner for her and she acted like I'd never seen her before in all of our ten years of marriage and come to find out the reason she made a big stink was to distract me from the fact that she was sleeping with her personal trainer."
"Ouch!"
"I know."
"Excuse me. Bri, introduce me to your friend,"the tall blonde intruded on their intimate conversation.
"Well I just met her but Skylar right?"
She nodded.
"Skylar this is Nick."
"Nice to meet you. I know this is gonna sound really corny but I think we've met before,"Nick said.
"I think I'd remember meeting somebody as cute as you." She played dumb as he was the big, dumb blonde that had been in her bed three months earlier.
"What am I? Chopped liver?" Brian pouted.
"Aw Brian, you're adorable too,"Nick teased.
"Would you excuse me for just a minute though?"
"Sure,"Brian said.
Skylar tapped Alyssa on the shoulder and looked at Mark."I'm stealing your girlfriend for a minute."
"Fine."
As soon as there was distance between them." What's going on?" Alyssa said.
"The blonde over there,"Skylar nodded toward the pair but all Alyssa could focus on was the other one. The one that was supposed to be for Skylar but should be hers.
"The blonde?"
"The tall goofy looking one?"
"Oh. You mean Nick?"
"You know him?"
"Mark introduced us about five minutes ago so I know of him. He was that big, goofy looking one you brought home the night I met Mark isn't he?"
"Yeah."
"Does he know?"
"I played dumb."
"You make a great pair. I think he uses the blonde thing to his advantage."
"You're funny. Just make sure you don't let it slip if you happen to cross paths again today okay?"
"Okay. I won't but this is too good. Have fun!"


The next morning Alyssa stumbled out of her room and toward the aroma of fresh coffee brewing in the kitchen. The flimsy robe barely covered her as her eyes popped open to the pair making out against the kitchen counter. Attempting to avoid them, she went around the island and to the cabinet holding the coffee mugs. She felt a little weird because her eyes returned to the scene as his hand slipped around Sky's butt. At that she turned back to the coffee pot and poured her cup. Shit! the creamer was in the refrigerator and they were blocking it but whether she sensed it or whatever, Skylar had noticed her friend. He looked over at her; bare chest and all. At least he was wearing his shorts from yesterday. How did she do it?
"Alyssa right?" Nick said.
"Yeah."She nodded shyly.
"Sorry. We didn't think you'd be here this morning."
"We're all grown ups. Skylar. A minute please?"
"Sure. Be back shortly,"She said and kissed him before following Alyssa out of the kitchen and hearing distance.
"The boybander. Really? What happened to the other guy?"
"He's nice but he's not my type. Not for a romantic relationship anyway."
"You amaze me."
"I know. Learn anything?"
"I learned that I like to watch."
"Alyssa! You Ho!"
"Oh please. I just haven't had any for awhile is all."
"You have a man. Why don't you?"
"Because I want to make sure he's not around just to get some."
"Gotcha."
"Listen. I'm gonna go grab my coffee and finish fixing it up and you and your boytoy can do whatever you want while I enjoy it on the deck."
"Us or the coffee?"
"Oh that is just sick Sky. Just do what you gotta. I'm gonna be on the deck. Join me after you're done."
"Will do lady."
After fixing her coffee, she retired to the deck and sipped the refreshing brew but all she could think about was Nick's friend. The one she should be with. The one she never got to meet.
Chapter 4 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:
A big thank you to everyone that's been reading and am glad you've enjoyed it this far.


Chapter 4


"So that's courtesy of?" Brian raised his brow inquisitively after noticing the rather large marking on Skylar's neck.
"Really?" Brushing it off as they waited for their order at Starbuck's that morning.
"So you and Nick are?"
"I guess we are exclusively screwing each other."
"Do you have no shame?"
"Not really." She grinned and picked up her Caramel steamer where their order had been placed.
Brian picked his up and followed her to a table in the corner. "So how's that friend of yours doing?"
"You mean Alyssa?"
"Yeah."
"You interested in her?"
"No. Just curious if casanova's broke her heart yet."Taking a sip of his coffee and trying hard to avoid eye contact with his newfound friend of three months. She could read him like the back of her hand. Of course he was interested. Skylar was his in. He just had to get rid of Mark.
"Brian. Look at me."
"What?" Raising his gaze toward her.
"You like her. I'm not stupid. There's a reason Marky Mark didn't introduce you to her. You're a threat."
"Me?"
"Why are you so surprised? You're the All American boy. Women love that."
"You didn't."
"Only because you aren't the right size for me,"she teased.
"Apparently I'm not the right size for a lot of women."
"Meaning?"
"Meaning one size does not fit all. Leigh can find a way to ruin anything for me. She uses my child to keep me from being happy while she's having the time of her life."
"I'll kick her ass if you want me too."
"Would ya?" He smiled.
"Brian. I've seen your face go from sixty to zero the minute you stopped asking about Alyssa and started talking about Leigh. I don't a lot about what happened there but Nick tells me that Leigh Anne always treated you like dirt. Despite what the press ever showed of you . She always played nice in public. Is that true?"
"Yeah," he answered reluctantly.
"You deserve to be happy Brian and every time I mention my friend, your face lights up like fireworks on the Fourth Of July."
"Because you know what your heart wants. I've never been so drawn to anyone in my life Sky. I never believed in love at first sight until I saw her that night."
"What night?"
"The night of LeighAnne's Birthday dinner."
Alyssa's jaw dropped. She couldn't believe he remembered Alyssa from six months ago. Scratch that. Alyssa never forgot his face either. She knew that much. She could see it in her eyes that afternoon at the party. She was so mesmerized she didn't care if Mark knew or not."I've got to get you two together."
"But what about Mark?"
"I'll take care of that. You just need to show up at my party."
"For what?"
"For my Birthday."
"When is your Birthday?"
"Two weeks from now. You will be there."
"That wasn't a question was it?"
"No. If I have to have Nick toss you over his shoulder and drag your ass here, you'll be here."
"You don't take no for an answer do you?"
"Not if I can help it. You should know that by now."
"Fine. I'll be there."
"Like I really had to twist your arm."


Two weeks later on the night of Skylar's party, Alyssa had TMZ on the TV when she should have been setting up. She couldn't help it though. She watched it religiously. Some things you just don't give up just because it's your friend's birthday. After she watched it she was going to give Skylar her present but something came on the screen that changed her mind. There was her friend and the man she knew should be hers. She had no right to be jealous. They were both grown women. Alyssa was denying herself the happiness she knew she could have if she just had the guts to leave Mark but there was her best friend betraying her. Right in front of God and everybody. She couldn't stand to watch the remainder of what was transpiring on the screen so she flipped it off.
"Anything good on the tube lady?" Skylar bounced into the room.
"Not really."
"Shouldn't you be watching TMZ right now?"
"It's just a bunch of garbage,"Alyssa replied and got up off the couch.
"You didn't think so yesterday."
"Nobody was answering the door so I let myself in. Is that okay Skylar?" Nick had entered the room.
Alyssa shook her head in disgust."Happy Birthday." And left the room.
"What's eating her?"Nick asked; confused.
"I'm not sure. Make yourself at home and I'll find out. Beer is in the cooler on the deck if you want one. I'll be back soon as I can,"Skylar said and went to find her friend. She pushed the partially opened door wide and sat down next to her friend on the bed. "What did I do?"
"Two?"
"What are you talking about?"
"I saw you on TMZ with that guy and now this one?!"
Shit! She wanted to tell Alyssa her plan but Mark had that immaculate timing.
"I'm sorry. Did I interrupt something?"
"Nothing that can't wait,"Alyssa said sharply and got up off the bed to greet him.
"Happy Birthday Skylar."
"Whatever." She left the room. She'd been wanting to set up Brian and Alyssa for a month now but she just didn't have the motivation until he confessed. She knew Brian was insanely in love with her friend from the day they met at the party. If Callie(Miss Double D's ) from next door didn't work she would have to go to plan B but she was pretty confident the aspiring actress from next door would catch Mark's attention so fast it'd makehis head spin.
"Something wrong?"He said as Alyssa returned to her place on the bed.
"I've known my friend to be a lot of things but slut is one thing I never thought I'd hear myself call her."
"I'm confused."
"I was watching TMZ tonight and there she was with another one of those idiots you work for."
"You mean Brian?"
"Is that his name?"
"Alyssa, they're just friends. She's dating Nick."
Relief washed over her but not for the reasons he would think. "So I'm like the worst friend in the world right now. And on her Birthday."
He took her hand."I'm sure if you explain it to her, she'll understand. You know she and I don't get along very well but I think she'd be happy to know that I pushed you in the right direction."
"I think I should go apologize to her."
"I think that's a good idea babe."
"You want a beer or something?"
"Why don't you go apologize to her friend and I'll find the beer."
"Thank you."Alyssa pecked him on the cheek and grabbed the small box from her dresser.
He followed her out of the room. Fuck! If I don't get some of that tonight, it's over as her behind guided his path back to the living room.
"Uh Sky.....Can we talk for a minute?"
"I don't know. You were talking in code there. "
"Because I didn't know what was going on myself and I just assumed the worst which is really terrible considering how we watch out for each other."
"So you thought I was doing two guys right?" Finally figuring out what Alyssa had been talking about.
Alyssa sighed." I know it's terrible but yeah. Why couldn't you tell me what was going on in your life?"
"Because I wanted to be sure of what was going on." Smiling over toward Nick.
"I guess I can understand that but can you ever forgive me?"
"Depends on what you got me for my Birthday,"Skylar teased.
"You funny lady. Here you go." She handed her the small box rectangular box wrapped in silver paper with a red bow set atop it. She watched as her friend's eyes lit up like the Northern lights when she discovered the pair of tickets to opening night of the brand new Harry Potter movie.
"Oh My God! I love you !" As she flung her arms around her friends. "You are the best!"
"What is it?" Nick inquired.
After she settled down, she sat down on the couch next to him and shown him what it was.
"Harry Potter? Don't you have to be like twelve to like that stuff?"
"Don't you have to be like twelve to play all those video games you play?"
"Whatever turns you on." He rolled his eyes.
She leaned in as her hand slid up his thigh and whispered in his ear,"You turn me on but that's an X-rated story."
"How 'bout that beer honey?" Alyssa took Mark's hand and stepped out onto the deck. It was filled with wine coolers and various beers. She knew there was plenty inside.
"Did that make you uncomfortable?" He pulled her onto his lap with her drink and his in hand.
She set them on the clear table top."A little maybe."
"Listen 'Lys, I'm fine with where we're at. Anything that's good is worth waiting for. We'll know when it's our time."
Now he had to go and start acting like a gentleman again. Took him long enough. But was he really worth holding onto after all?
Chapter 5 by Simple Sue
Just Haven't Met You.....Yet
Copyright 2010
By Terri


Chapter 5


The party was in full swing and so far Skylar's plan was working. She'd managed to keep Brian and Alyssa apart but it didn't stop them from stealing glances once in a while.
Every now and then, a friend of Skylar's would attempt flirting with him but he would politely refuse them knowing the payoff that would later be his. He had no clue as to what Skylar had planned but despite his better judgement, he trusted her on this.
"Is that your plan?" Nick's eyes widened when he spotted Callie entering the room.
"Eyes back in head or you won't be getting any of this tonight,"Skylar threatened.
"Fine! but damn if he doesn't take that bait we're screwed."
"Amen to that!"Brian agreed.
Skylar forgot Brian was a boob guy. Couldn't blame him for admiring the goods. He was a guy after all. Good thing Alyssa would be able to hold his attention there as well. She wasn't exactly Miss Double D's like their friend there but she could turn a guy's head if she wanted to. "Asshole! He sent her for another beer but good for my plan. Now he's going in for the kill." She hated that she had to break her friend's heart this way but it was a necessary evil to get to the real deal in place. Little did she know.
she caught Alyssa on her way back over to Mark."You gonna be okay?"
"Actually, I'm gonna be fine. I've been looking to break up with him for the last couple of weeks. He just made my out a litte easier."
"Really?"
"Yeah."
"Can I hurt him too?"
After I'm done with him, you can do whatever you want. It is your party after all."
Skylar hung back just far enough so she could hear what was going on.
Alyssa tapped him on the shoulder and he didn't respond so she poured enough of the cold liquid on his shoulder to gain his attention. And get it she did.
Callie shrieked and pulled away from Mark."You didn't tell me you had a girlfriend!"
"I don't!"
"So I've just been a figment of your imagination for the last six months have I Mark?!"
"We've been dating but I wouldn't call it a relationship."
"I know I should have listened to my friend but oh no! I knew better."
"Here we go. Your friend hates me."
"And with good reason too. I should have known better."
" I wasn't gonna wait forever 'Lys."
"I've got eyes Mark. I'm not stupid!"
"You must be. I've been cheating on you for the last 2 months."
"You know what Mark?" She pulled the waist of his jeans out just far enough and stuck the longneck bottle down his jeans."Enjoy your beer! Now get the hell out of here!" And walked away.
He removed the bottle and spotted Skylar smirking."You! This is all your fault you bitch!"
"Temper, temper,"She scolded mockingly.
"You turned her against me."
"So I was the one that had my hand on Callie's ass?"
He groaned." Fuck you all!" And started toward the door in his beer soaked jeans.
"That the best you got Casanova?!" Skylar challenged.
Nick stayed close enough to her just in case Mark decided to get physical but he somehow had the feeling Skylar'd be dealing the blows.
Mark turned back around and came at her full throttle but her fist landed in his gut before he could even attack her."Now get the fuck out of my house before I call the police and tell them you sexually assaulted my roommate."
"I never touched Alyssa!"
"They don't know that,"Skylar replied innocently.
"You really are a bitch!"
"If you still want to be employed on Monday, I suggest you apologize to my girlfriend then leave this party,"Nick said as he stepped in. There were a lot of things he would let a man do but calling a woman a bitch was not one of them.
"You all are a bunch of fucking lunatics. You can take your damn job and stick it where the sun don't shine!" Mark shot back.
"Your choice. Now get out of here. Better yet, let me help you find the door."Nick grabbed his shoulder and walked him to the front door. When he returned to Skylar, she slipped her arms around his waist.
"You know I could have taken him."
"Yeah but I think between you and Alyssa, you did enough damage to him that he won't cross a woman for a long time. Hell, I won't cross either one of you." And smiled.
"You're a smart man. So I'm at girlfriend status now?"
"You've been at girlfriend status for quite awhile now. Get used to it."Kissing her softly.
"If I must."
"Nice move Sky. So what's this big plan of yours? "Brian interrupted them.
"You've waited six months to meet her, what's a couple minutes more?" Skylar said.
"Forever but I am at your mercy."
"Thank you. So listen up here boys."


Nick found her standing alone on the deck; sipping on a wine cooler."You doing okay?" He leaned on the railing next to her.
"I'm fine. I'm not as fragile as Skylar thinks."
"You know she's just looking out for ya."
"I know but sometimes it feels a little overbearing and she knows it."
"Man, you drenched Mark there 'Lys. Nice move."
"I've never even hit a man in my life Nick. I don't know what on Earth posessed me to do that."
"You were pissed off. Maybe Skylar's even rubbed off on you a little bit. That's not a bad thing you know."
"I know. Thanks for the concern but I'd just really like to be alone right now."
"I understand. I'll tell her you're okay."
"Thank you."
She leaned back on the railing and started peeling the label from the bottle when she heard the sliding door again."Nick I thought I told you I wanted to be.....alone,"she said turning to face him; her words trailing off as she looked into those eyes. God! Those eyes! The ones that burned right through her every night in her dreams for the last six months. He was here. Was it just another dream? She prayed it wasn't.
"Well if you really want me to go, I can." Please God let her say no! Please!
"Please don't."
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you Jesus! He stepped a little closer as to not invade her space."I saw what you did to Mark in there."
"I'm not very proud of what I did."
"But the guy kind of asked for it."
"So if a woman did that to you?" She raised her brow inquisitively.
"I wouldn't treat a woman the way he did."
"So how would you treat a woman?"
"With respect. Like my Mother taught me."
Good answer."I like your Mother."
"I'm sure she'd like you."
"You don't know me."
"Well that can be fixed."Stepping closer. She was giving off all the signals of wanting him there; close to her.
"And how's that?"
"Have dinner with me tomorrow night."
God! He was so close. So close she could just lean right in and kiss him. He was the perfect size for her but her Mom taught her to let a guy always make the first move when it came to stuff like that."Just dinner?"
"For starters. We'll have to see where the night leads us."He just wanted to take her in his arms and kiss her til they were breathless but he was playing nice.
"Okay. Dinner it is then." His gaze hadn't left hers since the minute he walked onto that deck. He held the railing on each side of her.
"I have another question for you."
"Fire away."
"Do you believe in love at first sight?"
"The minute I laid eyes on you."
"Do you think it exists?"
"Absolutely."
"Then I guess that only leaves me with one last question."
"Anything."
"Would you think I was a terrible jerk for wanting to take you in my arms and kiss you until we're breathless right now?"
"If you're a married man, yes. If not, no."
"Divorced."
She didn't think her heart could beat any faster than it already was."Then I guess we don't have a problem."
"Did we?"
"We're talking way too much for two people that would rather be liplo-"
He didn't even let her finish her sentence before his lips landed on hers. Her hands slid up his arms as the intensity increased; fingers slipping into his hair.
It was definitely that foot poppin kind of first kiss you see in all those old movies and she would have if she weren't pinned against the deck's railing. Did it really matter though? It was the sentiment involved. He was right. He was gonna steal the breath right from her as hungrily as his body conveyed it's message to her. She wished she could stay wrapped up in him forever but as in life all good things must come to an end."That was..."
"Yeah. By the way, I'm-"
"Brian. Right?"
"Yeah. Alyssa, right?"
"Yeah."
"Well now that we're on a first name basis."
She silenced him with another kiss. Love is a wonderful thing when it's with the right person. He was it. Definitely it.
They say there's someone for everyone. Skylar was glad that she'd brought them together. Well, kinda. She got them in the same place, they just had to make the rest happen. Looked like they were doing a pretty decent job of that. She quietly slid the glass door open and stepped out."Do I need to make introductions here?"
"We're good,"Alyssa smiled at Brian; not even glancing at her friend.
"We're fine. Now leave," Brian ordered; returning Alyssa's smile.
"Fine. Be that way," Skylar teased and returned inside. Yeah, they were definitely meant to be.
"She has some timing doesn't she?"
"She means well."
"No wonder she and Nick get along so well."
"Well I think there are other reasons but let's get back to you and me."
"Good idea."
"I have a question for you now."
"Shoot."
"Do you believe in love at first sight?" Throwing his question back at him.
If you'd have asked him before that night in the restaurant, he would have given you an absolutely not but the minute he laid eyes on her, there was no doubt in his mind that there was such a thing and that it did exist. "Absolutely."
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10324