Breathe Again by summer
Summary:

Sometimes it takes only one person to make you see what your life really means.


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 19941 Read: 4155 Published: 11/24/10 Updated: 02/09/11
Story Notes:

© Copyright 2010

1. Chapter One by summer

2. Chapter Two by summer

3. Chapter Three by summer

4. Chapter Four by summer

Chapter One by summer
Author's Notes:

This one was knocking around in my head, so I had to get it out. Hope you enjoy. :)

“Aspen Grace and Reid Taylor, Hollywood’s hottest and ‘It’ couple are finished…”

“What happened between Aspen Grace and Reid Taylor? Inside Edition has the most recent and…”

“Is it truly over for the hottest couple in Hollywood? Access Hollywood talks to some of Aspen Grace and Reid Taylor’s…”

“TMZ Exclusive; the only show to have the pictures of the Graylor break up…”


Aspen Grace snapped the television off and hurled the remote onto the sofa. Was that seriously all anyone was talking about these days? Her and Reid’s break up? Seriously, that was the breaking news that was being flashed all over the tv screens and interrupting soap operas. It made her sick with disgust and she wanted to hurl the entire television out the window. The only problem; she could hardly lift it let alone fling it out the window to the street below.

Brushing her pale blonde locks from her face, she rose to her full height of 5’6 and tried to muster all the strength and courage she could. In about thirty minutes she was supposed to be leaving her magnificent, four bedroom/five bathroom home for a press conference about the new film that was to release in a month’s time. And today of all days, she wasn’t ready for it.

Normally, Aspen had no problems facing the press, or a crowd of fans or peers. She loved the attention and soaked it up like a teen girl at the beach soaks up the sun. Acting, being in the limelight, performing for the world to see came natural to the fair haired beauty that had gotten her lucky break one day six years ago.

But today, today she didn’t want to do it. Couldn’t do it. Not after she’d had her heart yanked from her chest and hammered to millions of tiny pieces and left lying out there for everyone to see. And now all she had left was a gaping hole that was still bleeding and ached like no other pain she’d ever experienced. Everyone had a first heartbreak, but not everyone had it in front of the entire world like she was experiencing.

But she was an actress and if she needed to put on her game face and play the part of a happy and relaxed young woman who had a big blockbuster coming out that was projected to make millions and millions then she was going to do it. After all, she was Aspen Grace and she’d never flinched from the spotlight yet. She couldn’t start now, not when her career was finally to the point where there might even be an award or two coming to her.

Respect, honor, recognition; she was on the verge of earning it all from the film industry and she couldn’t let something like this stand in her way. ‘Rise above it’ was her motto and she’d be damned if she was going to let the likes of Reid Taylor and all the rumors and gossip flying around bring her down. No, they could say what they want, but she would hold her shoulders high and her head even higher and the pain and emptiness and complete devastation would stay behind lock and key. She’d put a mask on and wear it to the best of her abilities and they’d all be none the wiser. Though one slight voice in the back of her head was questioning and praying and hoping that no one would bring up Reid and all the questions would remain professional.

At that thought, her clear and crisp blue eyes darted to the antique looking grandfather clock against the wall and a wave of nausea hit her hard. She held the back of her hand to her mouth and forced the sour bile back down her throat, shuddering at the feel of it burning and the horrible aftertaste it left in the back of her mouth. Where was the strong Aspen that she’d always been? Where was the girl that didn’t care what others thought? The one who had a backbone and tongue she didn’t seem afraid to use?

She’s gone. The thought hit her harder than anything ever had before. It careened right into the middle of her chest and caused her to stumble back a few feet. It was like someone had punched her there, the pain was so intense and so great that tears began to stream down her cheeks and she crumpled like a rag doll to the floor.

She would never be the same girl again. She would never have that same look of life and love in her eyes, she would never have that same laugh that bubbled up out of her and filled the room, making those near her smile and laugh as well. She had a contagious personality, but she had lost it all when she’d lost her heart. When she’d been broken in two and left bleeding at the feet of the one man she had trusted to never, ever hurt her.

He’d torn her world apart and Aspen knew that she’d never be able to trust a man again. How could she? The pain, the grief was too strong and too intense and she didn’t have a heart to give anymore. Besides, she didn’t even know how to begin to gather it up and piece it back together. Nor did she have the energy. It was taking everything she had to keep a strong face for the public, where would she get more to fix her heart? Those kinds of things weren’t easily fixable and once damaged would never be the same again.

That made fresh tears spring to her eyes and she buried her head into her hands. Why had she even fallen for him in the first place? His smooth lines and that smile that lit his eyes and made a warmth spread into her chest. The way things felt so easy with him, how natural they fit together and their lovemaking; their lovemaking was electric and she felt like she was on fire every time they touched.

And now it was gone; as quickly as it had begun and she was cold and alone and desolate. How was that fair? How had he gotten to walk away unscathed and she was left so torn open? Like someone had spilled her guts and put her on display for all to see; so exposed and raw and vulnerable, with her insides out to be ridiculed and judged and torn apart. And Reid was out there still dazzling girls with his smile and looking the very picture of a happy and content person. Where were his pain and his grief?

Aspen nearly snorted at that thought. It was obvious Reid didn’t have any pain or grief. He wasn’t sorry things had ended the way they had. He didn’t care that he’d destroyed her and ruined all hopes of the future she’d been dreaming about. Nearly three years down the drain and the ruggedly handsome movie star acted like she wasn’t even worth a mere thought. Had their whole relationship been a façade? Or some sick little game he enjoyed to play? See how many girls’ hearts you can rip to shreds and then laugh about it with your friends over beers and football. So far, he was probably winning.

Why did she even care so much? She groaned at that and fell backward against the plush carpet of the family room. Her mascara was streaked and her cheeks blotchy from the tears, but she didn’t seem to notice. Nor did she notice the time slipping away as she lie on the floor and staring up at the ceiling, lost in her thoughts and the pain that gripped her chest.

It wasn’t until the ringing sound of her cell phone yanked her back from the dark place she’d been in and she finally lifted her head, slowly pulling up into a sitting position and taking her phone from the coffee table before her. Her agent’s name flashed on the screen and Aspen debated on if she actually wanted to take the call or not. Finally, she sighed and pushed to accept then lifted the phone to her ear. “Hello?”

“Aspen?” Ted McNaught’s voice came over the line brisk but with an air of concern. “Where are you?”

The blonde haired beauty took in the familiar surroundings of her family room before she replied, “I’m at home.”

“At home? What are you doing at home? You’re supposed to be here, with me, at this press conference,” he enunciated the last words of his sentence.

“What?” In a panic her eyes flew to the clock and she groaned. “Oh no, Ted…I’m so sorry.” Quickly she pushed to her feet then reached for the chair as a wave of dizzy washed over her from standing so fast. She was supposed to have left twenty minutes ago. Now she was going to be late, create a scene and have a very bad impression on the rest of the cast and crew that was going to be there. Wonderful.

“What have you been doing? How could you forget something this important, Aspen?” Now he just sounded angry and the hint of concern was clearly not evident.

“I…I don’t know. I …one minute I had twenty minutes left and now….now, I’m late.” She was already heading for the bathroom to freshen her face. “I’m so sorry, can you delay them? Give them an excuse? Traffic? An accident?”

“It’s not that easy. This is why I wanted you to have a driver, but no, you insisted on getting there on your own,” he paused, obviously exasperated. “Just get yourself here, pronto.” And then he was gone and she was left with silence.

Great. She dropped her phone into her purse and tossed it onto the table then fled up the stairs and into her room then onto the bathroom. After a quick wash of her face, she did up her makeup again then fled from the room and back down the stairs. She was upset with herself for getting lost in her problems and upset with herself for crying and having to take the time to redo her makeup. And the quick touch up job wasn’t hiding the swollen eyes of the dull glimmer in them. No, Aspen knew she looked a mess and nothing good could come from it. This press conference was going to go from bad to worse to horribly and miserably wrong very quickly she had a feeling.

The minute Aspen pulled her metallic blue BMW convertible past the gated entrance of her drive; she spotted the paparazzi just waiting around for any sight of her. She groaned inwardly, but was thankful she’d kept the top up and had her shades on. They weren’t going to get many shots of her, but they would be sure to tail her until they figured out where she was headed. Of course, the first question on their minds would be if she was going to meet Reid anywhere. Sadly, they’d be sorely disappointed.

Like she thought, the paparazzi cars fell in line behind hers as they followed her to her destination. She drove carefully, making sure to keep both hands on the wheel and her eyes on the road, doing her best to ignore them. The very last thing she needed was an accident to make her even later and make Ted even more upset, not to mention the wrath she was sure to get from the producers of the film. Though speeding was very tempting, she refrained and obeyed all traffic laws. Which was boring to the cameramen following her, but they too refrained from trying to ride beside her or get too close. Maybe because she was being easy to follow and not egging them on.

Finally, she made it to her destination and was waved past the guarded parking lot which the paparazzi following her were not. Smirking at that, she pulled into a spot and was out of her car and running for the building before she was even fully parked. She made it inside and immediately was whisked to the proper area, being given any information she may need to know as she was hurried along.

Before Aspen could even collect her thoughts, she was thrust into a room where the rest of the cast and producers from the show were waiting. Deep scowls greeted her and she did her best to remain cordial and apologetic. They hadn’t started the press conference due to her tardiness and no one was happy about that. The guilt weighed her down and made her shoulders droop. Even her agent was displeased with her and let her know it right up until the last minute before she strode out on the platform that housed a long table covered with a white tablecloth that draped to the floor on all sides.

Everyone took their seats behind the proper placard with their name and soon the event was started. Questions were hurled their way, mediated by the spokesperson and everyone took turns answering them; what it was like to work together, how the director had been, what the thoughts on how the movie turned out. Anything and everything dealing with the acting, producing and directing of the film was questioned and Aspen answered her share of questions, but was rather content to let her costars and the producers and director handle the majority of them. As the minutes wore on and the press conference seemed to be nearing a close, the blonde finally allowed herself to relax. The event was going to go Reid Taylor free and she felt like she could weep at the wonderful feeling that instilled in her.

But it was short lived when a man in the back row held up a hand and was called on. He rose to his feet, having remained quiet and observant the whole time, and spoke; his voice a little on the gruff side and filled with contempt and attitude, like he had been waiting for this exact moment to hammer the last nail into the coffin, “Miss Grace, I would just like your comment on the recent video that is making its rounds as we speak.”

Aspen’s brow furrowed at that, a line creasing her forehead. “Video?”

“Yes, video.” A smirk seemed to grow on his lips and he tilted his head to the side, like he was a bird studying its prey before swooping in for the kill.

She was confused and it was apparent on her face. At the podium toward the end of the stage, the spokesperson cleared his throat and suggested the conference be wrapped up and started to thank the press members who were present.

“Hold on just a moment,” the gruff voiced man spoke up, interrupting and stilling the crowd. “I would like my question answered.”

Aspen wet her bottom lip and wished her agent was within eyesight so she’d feel some sort of encouragement. “Um, sir,” she began, since he hadn’t introduced himself nor wore a press pass, which made her wonder how he had gotten into the place to begin with. “I’m not aware of any video that’s making its rounds, unless you’re talking about the trailer for the movie. Which in my opinion, was wonderfully-”

“Oh, it’s a trailer all right,” he interrupted her, the smirk on his lips growing into a wide grin, “and it’s definitely for a movie, but one rated just a little bit more adult than this one.”

Suddenly the spokesperson was taking control and swiftly shutting the man down, thanking everyone for coming, but announcing that the press conference was over and soon they would be able to enjoy the movie. The strange man continued to shout questions at Aspen, but two large security men seemed to materialize from thin air and quickly removed him from the vicinity.

As the rest of the press members began to move about and rise from their seats, Ted appeared at Aspen’s side and firmly took hold of her arm. “We need to talk,” he spoke low into her ear, guiding her from the stage and around to the back.

“About what? Do you have any idea what that strange man was talking about? He was kind of creepy too.” She cast her eyes his way and felt a slice of fear cut through her. “Ted, what is it, what’s that look on your face for? You’re starting to scare me.”

“Not until we get into the car.” And he continued to move her along, basically ignoring any of the cast or crew that tried to speak to them. Aspen tried to apologize, but Ted was whisking her away so quickly she was forced to just call out that she had to go and she’d talk to them later.

Finally they escaped the building and a black Lincoln Town Car was idling right outside the door. “What is this? What’s going on?” She questioned as he led her to the car then guided her inside it. “I drove myself here, Ted.”

“I do realize that Miss. Nearly An Hour Late.” And he joined her in the backseat, shutting the door and nodding to the driver who took off, heading for the exit where the guard booth was housed. “Someone will bring your car home.”

“What is going on here?” She didn’t like the expression on his face or the tone to his voice. And the way he was forcing her to leave via the town car didn’t sit well with her either. “Tell me right now what’s going on.”

Ted sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. It was in that moment that Aspen realized just how old he looked. Ted McNaught was still young, but not by Hollywood standards. He was nearly 55 and his strawberry blonde hair was beginning to thin atop his head and worry lines creased around his eyes and the corners of his mouth. He tried to keep up on his appearance, tanning his skin and making appointments for manicures, but unless you wanted to get Botox, sometimes there was no way to hide your age. And he wasn’t an actor or model, so the Botox was not somewhere he felt he needed to go quite yet.

“Alright,” he finally relented before leaning back into the cool leather of the seat. The air conditioning unit was doing the job correctly to make the interior of the vehicle stay at the proper degree despite the sweltering heat on the outside.

Aspen’s brilliant, clear blue eyes studied her agent’s face with worry and dread. “What is it, Ted?” She voiced in an uncertain tone. Half of her wanted him to spill and the other half wanted to yell at the driver to stop so she could dart out of the car and run away from whatever terrible news it was he seemed reluctant to unfold.

Ted’s emerald eyes met hers and she could tell he was uncomfortable relaying the information. But despite that, he spoke, “While you were on the stage with the others, I was sent a link to a website.”

He hesitated and she pressed him on, “Go on.”

“Well,” he ran a hand over his face then forced their gazes to meet again, “it seems that Reid has let a little video the two of you made together, slip to the press.”

“What?” Her brows drew together. “I don’t understand. What video?”

Ted looked like the next words out of his mouth were going to hurt and he flinched involuntarily, “A sex tape, Aspen.”

The blonde’s eyes nearly rolled out of her head and if she had been a cartoon they would have been bulging from their sockets. “Wh…what?!” Heat engulfed her face, making her cheeks flush a deep crimson.

“Hey, it’s okay,” Ted held a hand up, “we’ll be on top of it and do our best to keep it from being released fully. And we’ll try to pull the plug on what’s already floating around.”

“This…this can’t be happening.” The reporter’s words began to play through her mind again and now it all made sense. How could Reid have done something like this? Why would he? Tears began filling her eyes and she ducked her head, allowing her hair to fan her face and hide it from view. What had she done to deserve this kind of shame and embarrassment?

“Aspen, it’s going to be okay.” Ted was trying to remain positive and be a dutiful agent, but his words didn’t feel very comforting to the young woman.

“No, it’s not,” she moaned out, covering her face with both hands, her shoulders jerking as more tears began to flow. “He’s…he’s trying to hurt me. He wants to ruin me!”

“You don’t know that.”

She sniffed then pushed her locks from her face and met his gaze, hers hard beneath all the tears. “Yes, I do. What happens to celebrities that have sex tapes released? Nothing good! They become laughingstocks and a big joke to the industry. No one takes them seriously and he knows that! He doesn’t want me to succeed.”

“Oh, Aspen.” This was one of those times when Ted wished he was a female agent, or at the very least, a gay one so it wouldn’t be awkward for either of them if he were to pull her into a comforting hug. But he wasn’t sure how she’d react and he himself didn’t know how helpful it would be.

“Why is he doing this?” And she was sobbing back into her hands, her long hair obscuring his view of her face.

“First we need to make sure it was really Reid that leaked it out.” And he was back in full agent mode, taking his phone up from the seat and scrolling through it. “And secondly, you are never to make a tape like that again.”

“I…I…” she sat up and wiped at her tear stained cheeks. “He swore he would delete it. I…I didn’t want to make one, but he…he…” she faltered then allowed herself to trail off. There was no use in trying to come up with excuses or reasons. What’s done was done and now she had to deal with the damage it was going to do to her career and reputation.

Ted remained quiet in understanding. He worked on his phone for a minute before addressing her again, “We’ll do our best to put a stop to it. Right now it looks like it’s just a snippet of the video and it’s being passed around for shits and giggles. I don’t see any reason anyone would grab it up and run with it trying to turn it into another One Night In Paris.” Then his eyes locked on hers. “And if they tried, we’d be ready. No one is going to turn you into a porn star, my dear.”

Though his words should have relaxed her, it didn’t make Aspen feel any better. “Thank you,” she did manage out in a grateful tone. Her career was practically already over now. No one in the industry would take her serious again; half of them would even think she had let the tape leak herself while the others would just feel sorry for a girl so obviously taken advantage of. They wouldn’t see her for the serious and hardworking actress she was. And all of those wonderful movie scripts that she’d been hoping would come her way after the release of this film would surely be sent to other “more deserving” stars. As for the awards that had been whispered in her ear, they’d go to others too. Her film career was over; she might as well pack up, tuck her tail between her legs and kiss tinseltown goodbye.

When the Town Car pulled up to the gates of Aspen’s home, she was relieved to find the paparazzi gone. They would still be parked outside the entrance to the studio lot where her car was. No one had suspected she might have escaped in another vehicle. For once, she felt relieved and thankful that Ted had gone about it this way. But they’d be back. Once they discovered they had been tricked, she’d find them camped outside her home again. Especially now that this sex tape was all over the news.

Once they were safely past the gates and the driver pulled to a stop in the large circular drive, Ted finally put his phone away and turned his attention fully to the blonde. “You gonna be okay, kid?” ‘Kid’ was his affectionate term for her and he found himself using it when she seemed to need a pick-me-up.

“No.” She busied herself with collecting her handbag and smoothing out her hair. “But I’ll manage; I have no other choice, really.”

“Just don’t do anything stupid,” his voice held a warning tone.

“I’m not gonna call anyone up and try to explain the situation.”

“And don’t take any calls from reporters, got it?” He lifted his brows in a serious manner. “You let Jane handle it, that’s what she’s there for,” he spoke of her publicist, Jane Burton.

“Got it.” She sat up and slipped toward the door, the driver already holding it open for her. “Thank you for everything.”

“Anytime, kid. Jane and I will take care of this.” And he was reaching for his phone again. “Oh yeah, and kid?”

Aspen paused with her legs out of the car, turning back to face him. “Yes?”

“Don’t watch the video; don’t even look anything about it up.”

The thought of doing that made her stomach curl. “Believe me; I’m going to do my best to stay far, far away from anything having to do with it.”

“Good.” Ted watched her a moment before turning back to his phone, signaling she could finally leave.

Aspen slipped from the Lincoln and thanked the driver then made her way up the walk and let herself into the house. She was finally home and relaxed a little at being in her safe haven; the one place no one could hurt her or stalk her or hound her at. Blocking out the outside world was what she needed to do at the moment so she dropped her bag to the side and headed for the stairs and the one place she could sink into oblivion at; her bathtub.

~*~*~*~*~

“I hate you! You’re nothing but the scum on my shoe!”

Alex McLean flinched at the harsh words and turned his face away. A sharp pain was piercing his chest and every word his girlfriend screamed at him only made it twist a little more. How had this happened? He thought they had been happy and planning a real future together, but now her eyes were like daggers and her hurtful words, laced with venom.

“I don’t even know what I ever saw in you!” She was now throwing things into the large suitcase that covered the bed. Not caring if they were in an orderly fashion; just an angry attempt to pack her things as quickly as she could and get as far away from him as possible.

Alex pressed his lips together to keep his tears at bay. That’s the last thing he needed; to break down and give her more fuel for her already raging fire. Watching as she shoved whatever items she grabbed into the luggage, he shoved his hands deep into his pockets, his shoulders slumped. “Can’t…can’t we talk about this, Raegan?”

Her green eyes turned on him and he visibly winced at the hatred in them. “Talk about this?! You want to talk about this?” She was seething and instead of stashing the makeup bag into the suitcase she turned and hurled it at him, narrowly missing his shoulder. “Go to hell!”

“Raegan,” he jerked to the side and away from the hurtling bag, “come on, baby, please.”

Do not ‘baby’ me,” she hissed. “There is nothing to talk about!”

“Rae, please,” he tried again. He just couldn’t let her walk out on them. He needed her.

“Don’t call me that!” She pointed her curling iron in his direction then shoved it into the suitcase.

Alex sighed and sank down onto the edge of the bed, opposite her. “I just want us to try and work this out. I don’t want to lose you.”

“Heh, you should have thought about that before you accused me of something so horrible!”

His body sagged and he leaned into the pillows at the head of the bed. “I was just asking you. I wasn’t saying you did do it. Rae, I just wanted to know what had happened.”

“Oh, whatever,” she ignored his words. “You probably already have some hootchie bitch to run to the minute I leave.” Her angry eyes glanced to him before she turned and removed an armful of clothes from the dresser. “You make me sick! You’re nothing but a has-been who can’t keep his dick in his pants or away from the alcohol. I must have been going crazy to think I wanted someone like you.”

The pain in his chest intensified at those words and he found he had no breath. She was tearing him apart piece by piece and he felt powerless to stop her. How could he? Her words were the truth and maybe he’d been trying too hard to hide from it. Maybe it was time to face what he was and learn to accept it. He, Alexander McLean, was nothing, worth nothing. Millions loved him, wanted him and support him; but they were fools. Somewhere in the back of his mind, he’d known. He’d known that one day all of this; his love, his career, his life, was going to come crashing down around him and reveal to the world everything he’d been desperately trying to hide. Maybe it was time to stop pretending and face up to man he really was.

Raegan’s grunts pulled him from his depressed reverie and he turned his sullen eyes her way to see her trying to drag the suitcase out the bedroom door. She was really, truly leaving him. She’d finally had her eyes opened to the worthless piece of shit that he was and realized she couldn’t be brought down with him. So she was making her escape.

“Do you want some help?” Despite the knife that was carving his heart from his chest, he found himself wanting to help her. Help her leave him; now that was new.

“I’d rather die than have you touch me or my things again,” she snapped at him then stood to her full 5’7 height and pushed her caramel colored locks behind her shoulders. “Don’t call me, don’t come after me, and don’t try to fix things between us. Better yet, pretend I never existed. I’m sure as hell going to be pretending I didn’t just waste five months of my life. You’re worthless, Alex, completely worthless.” And with that, she heaved up her bag and made her way out of the bedroom with it.

He watched her go, with the pain in his chest now moving freely through his entire body. There was no point fighting it; she was right. He was worthless and she had just helped him see the truth for what it was. There was no point in anything anymore. He might as well just curl up and die right there. After all, who would really miss him? The fans? No, they’d find another celebrity to fixate on. His friends? No, they’d move on to another vulnerable person to mooch off. His family? No, they’d be relieved not to be burdened by him anymore. He was nothing and there was no one that would miss him. He’d be better off dead.

With that thought bouncing around in his head, he pushed himself from the bed and rose to his feet. His head throbbed and his heart was aching. The tears he’d been desperately trying to hide were now filling his eyes and blurring his vision. He needed a drink. He wanted to drink himself into oblivion and forget all the pain and heartache. He wanted to forget his life and keep it that way. He’d never wished more than he was doing at the moment to become someone else, but that wasn’t possible. However it was possible to be in a continuous state of drunkenness and not have to feel or think; which was exactly what he needed.

Stumbling from his room, Alex went off in search of some liquor; anything at the moment to keep the pain away. But he only made it as far as the stairs. The pain and heartache and grief seemed to steamroll him and punch him in the chest so hard he stumbled back a few feet and sank to the floor. He couldn’t breathe. It was like someone was stealing his breath from his body and leaving his lungs gasping for air. And his heart hurt, more than it had ever hurt before. Bile rose into the back of his throat and he forced it back then leaned to the side against the floor and drew his knees to his chest. He wanted out of this life, he wanted out of the prison he felt like he was trapped in. And as he so desperately wished for it to be taken away, hot tears began rolling down his cheeks and his shoulders shook with sobs.

End Notes:

I'd love to know what you think. Thanks!

Chapter Two by summer
Author's Notes:

Thank you for the feedback so far. I hope you'll continue to leave your thoughts. They're greatly appreciated. Enjoy this next chapter. :)

“Aspen, Aspen, do you know who leaked the sex tape to the public?”

“How do you feel about it being released?”

“Aspen, do you think this hurts your chances at an Oscar?”

“What are your thoughts on the whole thing, Aspen?”

They shouted their questions at her, surrounding her like she was a gazelle and they were hungry lions. The looks in the eyes of the dozen paparazzi around her were enough to make her stomach clench and she sent up a silent prayer that she wouldn’t empty her stomach there in front of everyone. That’d be some wonderful footage for sure.

She shouldn’t have made the mistake of going out by herself. But she’d always gone out on her own and survived without some catastrophe like the one that was occurring. Yet, then again, she’d never had a sex tape leaked. But, damage was done and now she was in The Grove shopping center with shopping bags on her arms and nowhere to go. She tried to press through them, but they just moved with her, keeping her surrounded as if they had no intentions of ever letting her go. This was total humiliation and a tight pressure was beginning in her chest and slowly working its way throughout her body. She was going to have a panic attack for the world to see. Not good, Ted would have a fit.

Going out into the public five days after the tape had started circulating had been a major mistake. She should have called Ted or Jane and gotten a bodyguard or two. But she’d never had to have them before, save for a few appearances where the fans came in hordes. But the news of the sex tape seemed to make everyone crazy and not only were the tabloids and paparazzi suffocating her, but the more respectable news stations and entertainment shows were calling for comments or interviews. No one wanted to leave it alone and it was making her head spin. Ted had told her to ignore it, commenting would just feed into the frenzy and it would never go away, but if they ignored it then eventually some other celebrity was going to come along and her little leaked sex tape would be old news. Aspen hoped that would be the case, but at the moment as the flashbulbs went off in her face and the cameras rolled, capturing every little expression that she gave, she wanted to shove Ted’s advice down his throat.

“Please,” she choked out, thankful at least she had on sunglasses and no one could see the tears pooling in her eyes. “Let me through.”

But her words fell on deaf ears and they continued to press her about the video. Who had filmed it, did Reid really release it, what was she going to do, would it turn into a cheap porn like Paris Hilton’s film had?

Aspen felt like she was drowning, her heart pounding loudly in her ears and her chest heaving as her lungs begged for air. They were pressing closer now and she was trapped, not able to move. Her shopping bags were slipping down her arm and if they fell, she wouldn’t even have the room to pick them up, that’s how close they were. She was suffocating and trembling and the tears were starting to slide down her cheeks. She just wanted away.

And then, as if God were answering her prayer, the crowd parted and a newcomer stepped into the middle. He wore a black knit beanie and dark sunglasses. He was dressed in some faded jeans and a white tee with some kind of picture on it, but she was too upset to decipher what it was. She did notice there were no cameras in his hands or around his neck and he had tattoos lined up and down his arms.

“Hey!” He barked at the paparazzi loud enough to drown out their incessant questions, glaring hard at them behind his own pair of sunglasses. His lips were set in a thin, hard line and he looked anything but amused. “Hey, that's enough! What the hell is wrong with you people? You should be ashamed of yourselves. What are you? Animals?" And he was reaching out for Aspen, taking her gently, but firmly, by the wrist and leading her through the crowd.

"Leave the poor girl alone. I think you’ve had your fun for the day. Get the hell out of the way,” he growled as he finally managed to push through the snapping cameras and flashing lights to the other side.

Aspen allowed herself to be led from the circle, half in a daze at the scene that was taking place and half wanting to cry with relief and fling herself into this man’s arms. He was her knight in shining armor and she was suddenly in a fairytale.

“Aspen, Aspen, we just want your thoughts on the video!”

“How do you know AJ McLean?”

“AJ, have you seen the tape? What do you think about it?”

“Are you two dating? What’s the inside scoop?”

They continued to hammer them with questions, but didn’t press on and try to follow as closely. Instead, they trailed along behind, just getting the footage knowing it would be a juicy tale; hero rescues fair maiden.

Aspen shoved her bags further up her arm as her rescuer lead her along the sidewalk, his gait brisk and she had to hurry to keep up with him. “They’re still behind us.”

“I know.” He didn’t release her wrist and used his free hand to extract a set of keys from his pocket. “Where are you parked?”

“Um, on the other side.” She motioned that way with her free arm, the shopping bags draped in the crook of her arm at her elbow.

“We’ll take my car then.” And then he was guiding her around a group of tourists who were staring at the two and the ensuing paparazzi with slack jaws and out to one of the parking lots. “I’m the black Porsche.” He nodded his head toward the vehicle that sat parked a few rows over.

“They’re going to follow us.” She should have been surprised and objected at the thought of going with this man she didn’t know from Adam, but she would rather take that risk then stay and let the vultures feed off her carcass.

He checked for traffic before leading her across the roadway surrounding the parking lot and to his car. “They’ll have to keep up.” And then he was taking her bags from her and shoving them into his trunk.

Aspen watched him do that and cast her eyes to where the cameras were capturing their every move. A few crept closer and shouted more questions about her relationship with this man and then they seemed to grow even braver and began to descend on the duo.

“Get in!” He hissed at her, holding the passenger door open and motioning toward the interior of his car.

She blinked and quickly moved into action, sliding into the car and allowing him to shut it behind her. He jogged around to his side while she buckled then joined her, jamming his own seatbelt into place and turning the key in the ignition, the car roaring to life. And then they were peeling out of the parking spot and shooting for the exit, the tires squealing in their wake.

Aspen turned in the seat and peered behind them. She’d seen a few of them go running for their cars as they’d sped from the shopping center, but it didn’t seem anyone was behind them. “I think we’re okay for now.”

Her companion cast his eyes into the rearview mirror then back to the road ahead of them. “They’ll try to catch up, but I think we’ll be way ahead of ‘em. Besides, they won’t know where I’m going.”

“Do they know where you live?” She finally turned her baby blue’s his way.

“Yes, but I’m not going there.” He shifted gears and pressed harder on the accelerator, cutting around a slow moving Honda Civic.

“Doesn’t matter; they’ll camp out there until you come back home. They’re going to want to know what’s going on with us, how we know each other, if we’re together.”

“Let ‘em wonder; I don’t give a rat’s ass about it.”

Aspen winced some at the hatred in his voice. “They’re already camping out outside of my place and now that you’ve helped me, they’re not going to leave you alone.” She paused a moment and studied his face. “Why did you help me out?”

“Because those people are leeches and no one deserves to be treated like they’re living under a microscope.” He glanced her way then to the road again. “I’ve been there, done that with them and it really pisses me off when I see it happening to someone else.” A pause. “And you just seem too sweet and nice to be done that way.”

“Well, I really appreciate it.” She continued to watch him closely. “You’re AJ McLean, right? From The Backstreet Boys?”

“The one and only. Though you can call me Alex.”

“Alex.” She nodded in recognition of that. “I’m Aspen Grace.”

“I know who you are.” He glanced at her briefly. “But it’s nice to finally meet you face to face.”

“Unfortunate circumstance though.” A frown fell over her pretty features. “But thank you for helping me; you didn’t have to.”

“True, but our kind has to look out for each other, otherwise we’re no better than they are.”

Aspen mulled his words over. He did have a point; how could you leave your own kind squandering? That’d be like letting the paparazzi win and what actor/musician/celebrity wanted that? “So, what do we do now?”

He shrugged and made a hard right turn, flinging his passenger against her seatbelt roughly. “Hold on.”

“Ouch.” She used her elbow to push against the door and sit right again once the car had leveled out.

“I think we have company.”

Aspen readjusted her seatbelt and turned in the seat, peering out the back window. “What vehicle?”

“The blue Prius. It fell in behind us after the green light and it just turned like we did; last minute and hard.”

She frowned. “Great, how’d they find us so fast?”

“Who knows how they get the info they do.” He rolled his eyes behind his shades. “And they wonder why they get attacked.”

She stifled a giggle, knowing now was not the appropriate time to be laughing. “So, what do we do?”

“Well, whatever we decide, it has to be before his cronies join him. We can lose one car a hell of a lot better than we can ditch four or five. Anymore than two and it’s just playing with fire and plain dangerous. I don’t wanna risk any innocent lives.”

“No, I completely agree with you.” She glanced behind them to the blue Prius which was now closing the distance between them. “He’s gaining on us.”

Alex looked to her. “You buckled in securely?” When Aspen nodded, he shifted gears and pushed harder on the gas pedal, the Porsche careening forward. “Then hang on tight.”

Hang on tightly she did as Alex maneuvered through the streets of LA like he knew exactly what he was doing. They whipped around corners and cut around slower moving vehicles like it was nothing. The Prius tried to keep up, but it was like a bear chasing a Cheetah and eventually they were able to lose it somewhere between Wilshire Blvd and the San Diego Freeway.

The thrill of the chase left Aspen with a pounding heart and adrenaline pumping through her body. She had no idea the top speeds Alex had gotten the car up to, but she was thankful no police had been around because she knew they were speeding and breaking a few more driving laws while they were at it. But they’d lost the Prius and she giggled all victorious, suddenly realizing that was the first time in a very, very long time she’d actually laughed and not had to fake it.

Next to her, Alex gave a ‘woot’ and thumped the steering wheel. “That was fucken great!” Then he blinked and quickly apologized, “I’m sorry. I try not to swear around pretty girls.”

At the moment Aspen could have cared less. She giggled harder and leaned her head against the back of the seat. “That really was pretty awesome.” Her eyes shifted in his direction. “You handle the wheel like a pro.”

Alex cheesed at that and chuckled at himself. “Thank you. It’s not often anymore I get to drive like that.”

“They don’t hound you much anymore?”

He shrugged. “They still hound me, but they don’t follow me anymore. I’m not exciting enough.”

“Maybe if you drove like that more often you’d be more exciting.”

He slowed for a red-light and turned to look at her. “Oh, did you like that?”

She giggled softly; feeling lighter and better than she had since Reid had left her so devastated. “I did find it kind of exciting.”

“Oh?” His brows rose above the top of his sunglasses and he smirked slowly then gunned the engine. “Care to try it again?”

Aspen wet her bottom lip and let her gaze stray to the view out the windshield then to him again. She went against the voice in the back of her mind telling her how dangerous it was and they could get into serious trouble and sent Alex a cute grin. “Let’s do it.”
He smirked. “Thatta girl.” Then the instant the light changed to green, he was shifting gears and squealing tires and they shot from their spot and flew across the intersection.

Next to him, Aspen gave a squeal of laughter. “Holy cow!” She peered out the window and watched as the buildings passed in a blur. “How fast does this thing go?”

“About 275 miles per hour.” He smirked at that. “And she goes from zero to sixty in about oh, five seconds.”

The blonde’s eyes widened. “Are you serious?” Then she giggled. “How fast are we going?”

Alex let his eyes drift briefly to the speedometer. “Oh, about sixty-five.”

She laughed and watched the scenery fly by. “This is wild!”

“Well, I’m glad you’re enjoying it.” And he took a slight veer to the right and before she knew it they were merging onto the San Diego Freeway and heading north.

Aspen watched with giddy excitement as Alex handled the car with ease and maneuvered them around this vehicle or that. He’d slow down when need be, but as soon as it was safe, they’d leave the other cars and trucks in their dust. The miles flew quickly and soon they were heading away from the city and into the hillier region of Sherman Oaks.

“Wow,” the blonde breathed out as Alex was forced to slow down for some congested traffic.

He laughed and glanced to her. “Have you never done anything like this before?”

She shook her head. “Never.”

“Not even when you were a teen?”

Aspen laughed low. “The most exciting thing to do when I was a teen was to go cow tipping or judge whose tractor had the bigger wheels.”

Alex laughed, he couldn’t help himself. “Judge whose tractor had bigger wheels? Sounds like the male ego right there; whose is bigger.”

“Definitely and it was usually the guys who were doing it.”

He laughed more. “And cow tipping? Did you seriously do that?”

“Once,” she found herself giggling, “and it was a dare. I didn’t really like to do it because I felt bad for the cows, not to mention, it’s kind of hard to miss all the cow pies in the dark.”

He laughed and shook his head. “So, I take it you’re a country girl. Where’d you grow up at?”

“Was, was a country girl,” she corrected him. “And I grew up in Nebraska; this little town of probably about 500 people.”

He looked between her and the road. “What brought you to California?”

“I wanted to be an actress. There’s only so much you can do in a community theater with only 500 people in the entire vicinity.”

“I think I had more kids than that in my freshman class in high school. I don’t really remember the other years, because I was hardly in them to know.”

She turned her eyes to him. “Did you skip a lot?”

Alex chuckled. “No, that’s about the time my group took off and I was busy touring in Europe. I was tutored most of my high school years.”

“Oh, that must have been nice; not having to worry about all the crap most high schoolers have to deal with.”

“Eh, part of me is glad I didn’t, but then there’s part of me that wishes I hadn’t missed out on all the stuff that normal kids get to experience.” He shrugged his shoulders some and watched the road ahead of them.

Aspen nodded. “I can understand that.” She tilted her head. “Are you from California?”

“No,” Alex met her gaze briefly, “I grew up in Florida. I didn’t move out here to LA until about nine or so years ago.”

She arched her brows. “That’s about the time I moved out here.”

“Oh yeah?” He glanced to her again. “I’d been coming out here since way before that and I had a small house I was renting, but I got moved out here for full-time then and bought my own place.”

“That sounds really nice.” She smoothed her hands in her lap. “I didn’t get to buy my own place until about five years ago.”

“Where were you staying before that?”

“Um, different places. I rented an apartment for a few years then lived with a friend I made out here and finally got my own place.” She chuckled. “I’ll never have another roommate again. Once you go from living with someone to living on your own, you’re like …whoa, why didn’t I do this sooner?”

Alex chuckled. “I know what you mean; it’s nice to live by yourself because then you don’t have to worry about anyone else, or invading their space or being inconsiderate toward them.”

“Or the other way around,” Aspen interjected.

He nodded and studied her a moment before turning back to the road ahead of them. “So, where are we headed?”

She felt the weight of her problems settling back around him at her question. “Ugh, do we have to go back? I think I’ve about had as much as I can take.”

Alex merged lanes to move around and get ahead of a semi truck from some moving company. “It’s pretty bad, huh?”

“More than pretty bad; it’s completely disastrous and my life and career are ruined.” She slouched some in the seat and let her head fall against the back of it, her eyes closing. “I just want to go away and forget everything.”

“Yeah, I know what you mean,” her companion muttered low. Her quick down spiral from giddiness to depression was bringing his own onslaught of low self worth. All the thoughts he’d been trying to hide from and avoid were beginning to creep back in. The last few days had been hell and he’d fought tooth and nail against picking up a bottle. Every fiber of his being was crying out for it, begging and pleading and the demons in his head were playing nasty tricks, but he was doing his damn best to hold out. Oh he ached for it, thirsted and longed for even one drop, but one would lead to two then three and before he knew it he’d have a houseful of empty liquor bottles and one hell of a hangover.

Aspen pushed some hair from her face and let her eyes linger on her rescuer. “You having a bad week, too?”

He gave a snort in response. “Something like that.”

She turned her eyes back to the road. “Do you wish we could just keep on driving and not worry about what’s going on back in LA?”

“Like we’re running away?”

She drew up a shoulder in a half shrug. “Not really running away, maybe more so escaping it for awhile. I mean, sometimes you have to, right?” Her eyes were back on him. “A person can only take so much before they either lose their mind or freak out on everyone. And I know I don’t want either of those to happen.”

Alex mulled it over. “Sometimes a break is a good thing.”

“I just want to be somewhere where no one knows anything about any tape; no one asks me any questions about it or follows me or traps me and shouts questions at me.” She pouted some then pinched the bridge of her nose, trying to keep the tears that threatened to sting her eyes away from them.

He felt a lump in his throat. “Or, how about somewhere no one thinks you’re a worthless piece of shit.”

She kept her eyes trained on the road, despite the urge to look at him. “Or somewhere they don’t look at you all pervy and disgusting and you feel so violated because some stranger has seen every inch of you.” Her cheeks blushed at that and she quickly turned her gaze out the passenger window.

“Or somewhere they aren’t using you for your fame or money.”

“Or where they’re not ripping your heart out and tearing it to shreds.”

“Where they don’t cheat on you.”

“Where they don’t lie.”

Their eyes met and neither one spoke. Alex broke their gaze first and turned his attention back to his driving. “Where do you wanna go?”

“How ‘bout you just drive. We’ll see where we end up.”

“You seriously want to do this?” He peeked to her then back to the road.

Aspen pressed her lips together and studied him. “I do, but I understand if you don’t want to. I don’t know what’s going on in your life and I don’t really even know you. You already helped me once, I can’t really ask you to do this for me.”

He glanced at her. “I want to do this,” his tone serious and his eyes showing he meant every word. “I have nothing to lose and the idea of escaping from LA and the shit my life has become sounds like heaven right now.”

She smiled in understanding. “Then let’s drive and see where it takes us.”

“You’re on.” And they were off, shooting down the freeway and heading for an unknown destination; two lost souls trying to escape their lives and find some kind of solace.

~*~*~*~*~

“You’re where?!” Ted McNaught’s voice bellowed over the line filled with surprise and disbelief.

Aspen cast her eyes over to where Alex was lounging on one of the beds in the hotel room they’d acquired for the night. “I told you; I’m at the Day’s Inn in Oakhurst off of 41.”

“What the hell are you doing there?”

She sighed and sank down into the chair at the desk in the room, switching her cell phone to her other ear. “I need a break, Ted. Those leeches cornered me at The Grove and I nearly didn’t make it out alive.”

“Yes, I’ve seen the video clips,” he didn’t sound amused whatsoever. “AJ McLean playing the hero; they’re eating that shit up, Aspen. They now have you two pegged as the newest Hollywood couple after he played Beast to your Belle.”

She frowned at his tone. “I don’t care, Ted; he really helped me out and I’m very grateful.”

Ted sighed and she could picture him rubbing his temples. “You need to come back to LA, Aspen. You’ve got interviews lined up and the photo shoot for Vanity Fair.”

“Then reschedule them. All they’re going to want to talk about anyway is that damn tape and I’m not doing it. That lady from the radio swore up and down she wouldn’t go there and what was the first question out of her mouth?” She arched a brow at the phone as if he could see her.

“You can’t reschedule Vanity Fair; they don’t play those games, Aspen.”

“Then I don’t want the cover; not at that expense. I bet they’d even throw something on there about ‘The Hottest Sex Scandal’ and I don’t want that. I’m not going to let that stupid tape mold me into someone I’m not.”

Ted sighed again and she knew he was losing patience. “This is your career, Aspen. You’ve wanted this for too long and you’ve finally got it and what are you doing? Throwing it all away because of one bump in the road.”

“A bump in the road?” She pulled the phone away and stared at it as if she couldn’t believe what she was hearing. “You’re calling what I’m going through a bump in the road? How ‘bout it’s more like a freaken sinkhole that’s swallowed me whole.”

“Aspen-”

“No, you listen to me, Ted,” she interrupted him. “I need a break right now, okay? I know it comes at a very unfortunate time with the movie release and all the promotions and appearances, but I have to do this. Reid left me completely broken and any rebuilding I’ve been doing has been shot to shit, pardon my French, after the release of that damn tape. So, you need to cut me some slack and have my back like you say you always have. If I don’t take this time for myself, so I can get some peace of mind again, then any chance of the success that I want is gone and you’re going to end up unemployed while I go back to Nebraska.”

He was quiet for a long moment before finally speaking, “How much time are we talking?”

She bounced her leg in a nervous fashion. “I don’t know.”

“You can’t hide forever.”

“I’m not talking forever; I just need a little bit.”

“You’re going to have to face the music sooner or later.”

“Ted, why are you being a dick?” She glanced to the phone again.

He sighed. “I’m sorry, Aspen. I just don’t want this to ruin your chances at success. This movie is definitely Oscar worthy and I don’t want that to slip away from you.”

She didn’t want that either, but knew it had probably already happened. “It’s too late for that, Ted. No one is going to take me seriously anymore. I just have to hope that eventually it all dies away and somewhere down the road I have another opportunity to prove myself to the academy.” Then she added as an afterthought, “But that’s never going to happen if I lose my mind. Just give me a few days, okay?”

Aspen knew he didn’t want to, but he finally relented. “Alright, a few days, but you better be back in time for the London premiere that’s next weekend.”

She had forgotten about that completely, but instead of groaning at the thought, she nodded firmly. “London next weekend; got it. Thank you.”

“Yeah, yeah, you just be careful. I assume you’re with your hero of the moment. Just remember that you don’t know him.”

She risked a glance over to Alex to see him reading over a brochure from the nightstand drawer. “I’ll keep that in mind, thanks again.” Then with a final goodbye she finally lowered the phone and severed the call. “Well, that was fun.”

“It’s so great when you get your ass handed to you, isn’t it?” He looked up and met her eyes.

She chuckled. “My most favorite thing in the world.”

“Behind the scenes people just never seem to understand.” He shook his head then turned back to the brochure. “Are you hungry? There are a few restaurants around. Or we could order take-out from the Chinese place and they’ll deliver it here to the hotel.”

“How ‘bout the take-out?” She perched herself on the edge of his bed. “I don’t feel much like going out after the day I’ve had.”

After driving a few more hours, dusk had begun to settle so they’d looked up the nearest hotel that hopefully wouldn’t be crawling with bugs or be the sight of a drug deal and come up with the Days Inn. Neither still had any idea where they were heading, but as far from LA as they could get sounded pretty good at the moment.

The motel was nice and clean and they’d managed to procure two rooms that had a connecting door between. Earlier, they’d pulled into a Wal-mart and purchased any items they may need to get them through the next few days; toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, face wash, clean underwear…that kind of stuff. Luckily, Alex had some changes of clean clothes stowed in his trunk and Aspen was content to go with the ones she’d purchased while shopping before the horrible paparazzi encounter. So things were actually working out in their favor for once.

“That sounds good to me.” Alex stretched then took the phone from the nightstand and set it on the bed. “Whatcha want?”

“Maybe some sweet n’ sour chicken with rice and a spring roll.”

He nodded at that then dialed the number and placed the order, getting himself some teriyaki chicken with noodles and some sort of vegetables. Finally, he set the phone back in the cradle and onto the nightstand where he’d found it. “Okay, they said about fifteen minutes.”

“Wow, that’s pretty quick.”

He chuckled. “They’re right around the corner and, unlike LA, there’s hardly any traffic around here.”

“I keep forgetting about that.” She pushed herself from the bed and stretched then tugged her shirt back down around her waist. “So um, how much do I owe you?”

“For the Chinese?” He shook his head and settled against the headboard again. “It’s on me; you can get it next time.”

That made Aspen smile. “Okay, it’s a deal. And next time you have to get gas, I’ll get that too.”

Alex studied her a long moment, it being on the tip of his tongue to refuse, but he finally agreed. “Deal.”

“And maybe we can find a movie or something on TV to watch while we eat.” She nodded toward where the large television was housed in the entertainment cabinet which doubled as a dresser.

“As long as it’s not some gooey romance, I can deal.”

Aspen wrinkled her nose. “Ew, no way. Gooey romances are the very last thing on my mind at the moment.” She frowned then quickly pushed it away. “Okay, I’m gonna go take a quick shower while we wait on the food. You can pick out the movie if you’d like.”

“Sure thing.” He reached and grabbed up the remote.

She watched him a moment then smiled and headed off to her room. This was definitely out of the norm for the young female; taking off on an impromptu road trip with some man she didn’t know and shirking from her responsibilities with her career. But then again, she’d never had a private and personal tape leaked to the public on the verge of a movie that could possibly shape her career for years to come.

But her hopes for success had been dashed when news of the tape had reached her ears. There would be no awards or memorable movie roles or offers from top execs in the industry. If she got lucky, she might get another film or two, but no one who had a sex tape leaked was taken seriously and she was soon to join those ranks. So taking off so unexpectedly with a man she didn’t know was the least of her worries. After this, she’d be picking up the pieces of her career and trying to piece them together again. She needed this last moment to escape it all and get out of her head for a bit; after all, she had nothing left to lose. And hey, at least he made her laugh.

Chapter Three by summer
Author's Notes:

Thank you for all the feedback so far! I really appreciate it. Hope you enjoy this one. :)

“So, why did you decide to come with me?”

They were stretched out on Alex’s bed, the credits to the action movie scrolling up the screen on the TV and empty Chinese take-out cartons scattered on the nearby table. Aspen was on her stomach with pillows propped under her for support. Her long hair had been pulled back into a ponytail and she was dressed in some blue plaid lounge pants and a plain blue tee she’d picked up at Wal-mart.

Next to her, Alex was in his own Wal-mart pajamas which consisted of some black lounge pants and a gray tee. He had shifted to his back and was staring up at the ceiling with his hands tucked behind his head. At her question, he rolled his coffee colored eyes her way. “You mean, why did I bring you here?”

Aspen chuckled and pressed her cheek to the pillow, meeting his gaze. “Okay, sure. Why did you bring me here?”

“To have my way with you of course.” At that, he shifted to his side and sent her a smirk.

“Uh…excuse me?”

He laughed and fell to his back again. “I joke. The look on your face though was great. Your eyes got about this big,” he held his hands up with his fingers making large circles, “I thought they were gonna roll right out of their sockets.”

Aspen laughed low and nudged his arm. “Hardy har, very funny. I was trying to be serious.”

“Right, my bad.” He couldn’t keep the amusement from his eyes, but he did sober up. “Well, like I said in the car, I feel like I could use a break too.”

She watched him. “We don’t even know each other, don’t you think this whole thing is a little weird.”

“Maybe a little bit.” His gaze drifted to the ceiling again.

Aspen studied him, hugging the pillow to her chest and letting her cheek rest against it. “So, I’m sure you know my story, but what’s yours?”

“I don’t know your entire story.”

She met his eyes and pressed her lips together for a moment. “Would you like to?”

“I’m always up for a good story.” And he turned his body toward her again, pulling his own pillow up to rest his head on.

“Meh, alright, I guess I owe you that much considering what you’ve done for me today.”

Alex chuckled at that. “You really don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to. I’m not gonna force it from you.”

“No, it’s alright,” she shook her head and adjusted her pillow some until she was more comfortable, “I don’t mind telling you. For some reason,” the tip of her tongue wet her bottom lip as she paused. “For some reason, I think you’ll understand completely. It’s nice to be able to relate to someone and not have them judge you or pity you.”

He knew exactly where she was coming from and gave a nod for her to continue. So she did.

“Reid Taylor and I had been dating for nearly three years. You know who he is, right?” He nodded that he did and she drew herself up into a sitting position, pulling the pillow into her lap. “Right, well, he’s the first celebrity that I’ve dated actually. Before that it was normal kind of guys, so to say. No one the press cared about so when Reid came along, of course we were all over everywhere. They followed us and hounded us and spread this rumor or that, figured out our vacation plans or where we were headed for a shoot or something. It was horrible, but I thought that I loved him enough and we meant enough to each other that we could get through it.” She gave a snort and studied the pillow, not able to bring her eyes to look at him.

Alex watched her, just letting the silence settle over them. He wasn’t pressuring her to talk and she wasn’t looking to him for answers; they were just two beings who had come together and were sharing a moment that left them both vulnerable and exposed.

“For nearly three years we did manage,” she was speaking again, directing her words to the pillow in her lap as her fingers fiddled with it. “We handled whatever the press threw our way; rumors about cheating and costars we were having affairs with. We came out strong in the end and that gained the reputation of not letting the press, or gossip, bring us down.”

Their eyes met and a shiver of electricity cut through his chest. “You don’t have to continue.” He knew she wanted to, but he had to at least put it on the table.

Aspen gave a nod that she knew she could end the tale at any time, but she pressed on, “Then one night, not even three weeks ago, he comes to me and tells me we have to talk; he said it was about our future. I,” she managed a small chuckle at her own stupidity, “I thought it was our future together, not our futures apart.”

“And then he dumped you.” It was more a statement then a question.

“Yeah, imagine that.” She sniffed and tucked some hair behind her ear. “I foolishly thought he might be proposing to me, but he told me he didn’t love me anymore and was moving out.” Tears shimmered in her eyes and she had to look away from him before she sobbed. “How…how does someone go from loving someone so strongly, one moment, to having no feelings left, the next? How …how is that even possible?”

Alex pushed up from the bed and disappeared into the bathroom, returning a split second later with a box of tissues. He placed them down on the bed next to Aspen then settled back into his spot. “That’s the burning question and unfortunately I don’t have the answer to it.” He studied her with an expression that showed he related and empathized with her.

“Didn’t think you did.” She wiped her eyes with a tissue then balled it up in her hand. “So, that’s probably the part of the story you don’t know. The press were already having a field day with the breakup and now this…tape,” she said the word like it was poison on her tongue, “has come out and things have gone from worse to just plain hellish. No, past the point of hell. There’s like hell,” and she held a hand out to demonstrate, lowering her hand some with each example, “then about five hundred feet of pure hell crap then there’s my hell.”

He chuckled at that, knowing he really shouldn’t, but not able to help himself. “Everyone hits rock bottom once or twice in their life. Least you’re still young so the bounce back won’t be extremely difficult.”

Aspen snorted. “Are you serious? I’m not going to bounce back from this; I’m completely shattered. He literally ripped my heart from my chest then shoved it through a shredder and dropped it on the ground then danced all over it.”

“Literally?” He leaned closer and pressed his ear against her chest. “Hm, I hear your heartbeat.”

She laughed despite herself and gently shoved his head away. “Shut up, you know what I mean.”

Alex pulled back and sent her a cute smirk. “I’m just being a smartass.” Then he grew serious and reached out to take her hand in his. “And I’m sorry your ex is a douche bag. No one deserves to have things end that way. Though unless he was calling you names and throwing things at you, it can’t have been as bad as mine.”

Her brows lifted at that. “You just had a bad break up too?”

“Something like that.”

Aspen frowned some. “That’s why you wanted to escape. What happened?”

“Shit,” he rubbed the back of his neck and mulled her question over, “what didn’t happen, really? She was a Prima Donna who thought she was better than everyone.” He paused and brought his eyes to hers. “And she cheated on me, quite a few times.”

“Ouch,” she made a sympathetic face, “that sucks, I’m so sorry.”

“Hey, not your fault.” Alex shrugged in a casual manner, but deep down in the ache in his chest, her words had soothed some of the pain.

She studied him a moment. “That girl really did a number on you, huh?”

A shrug. “I suppose so, though a lot of my exes have done that.” He forced a chuckle. “My mom says I don’t know how to pick ‘em.”

“Maybe you don’t.” When he frowned at her, she shook her head to show she didn’t mean it as an insult. “Hey, you just heard my hellish tale, obviously, I don’t know how to pick them either.”

The seemed to make sense to the tattooed man and the room fell silent around them. The movie on the pay-per-view channel completely finished and the screen emitting a blue glow as it waited for the next directions from the remote, which had long been forgotten by either occupant. Outside, traffic could be heard as it passed by on the relatively busy road and the sounds of the night filled the air around the motel.

“I have to admit,” Aspen finally spoke up as she stretched back out on the bed, resting on her side and propping her head up with her hand.

“What’s that?” Alex’s dark eyes flickered her way, long, dark lashes lining the chocolate colored orbs.

She chuckled low. “It’s been a long time since I’ve stayed in a Days Inn; no offense. When I was little and we would go on vacations, it’d always be a Motel 6 or Comfort Inn or something, but since my career took off, those are the days of the past.”

“Yeah, I know what you mean. Normally, it’s like The Hilton or the Waldorf or some shit.” He winced. “Sorry.”

Aspen watched him with amusement. “You’ve got quite the potty mouth, don’t you?”

“I really do. I really, really do. And I try not to curse around new people or beautiful ladies." He wrinkled his nose. “It can be quite the turn off.”

She laughed low at that. "It really can be. No girl wants to meet some sexy guy who looks good and smells good, but the minute he opens his mouth all these dirty words come spilling out.”

“See.”

“I do.”

He chuckled low then sighed and stretched back out on the bed next to her. “Where do you wanna go tomorrow?”

“Do we have to have a destination? Can’t we just…go?”

“We can.” They made eye contact.

She smiled. “Good, because that’s all I want. I want to be free from LA and all the drama and just breathe. I felt like I was suffocating back there.”

“The town can do that to you. It uses you, abuses you, takes you up and chews you then spits you out bleeding and broken on the sidewalk.”

“Reid Taylor did that to me; not LA. I love LA.”

A small grin tugged at his lips and he reached a hand out to stroke it over her shoulder. “Good, don’t let that change. So many times LA changes people and leaves them struggling with demons and facing things they never thought possible.”

“Like you.”

Alex’s hand stilled at that and he studied her expression, seeing nothing but an understanding and compassion radiating from her beautiful eyes. Eyes that were so clear and crystal blue and crisp it felt like they could see right through him and everything he was desperately trying to hide. “It wasn’t LA that did that to me; it was the entire clusterfuck, pardon my French, that my life was, and still is,” he added the last part as an afterthought.

Aspen reached out and took his hand in hers. “Maybe this little road trip will be good for the both of us. We can just forget about the mess our lives are in and just…be. Two people out enjoying the beauty around them and exploring new places, not two shells of humans whose souls and hearts have been destroyed and we’re desperately trying to stay afloat in the ocean of life.”

“We can do that, but eventually we have to go back to Los Angeles. And everything we’ve been escaping from will still be there to drag us back down.” The idea of having to face it all again made his stomach clench.

She frowned. “Let’s not think about that, let’s take it a day at a time.

“A day at a time,” he spoke slowly as if he was trying to decide if that would be possible.

She nodded and echoed his words, “A day at a time.”

“With no thoughts of what tomorrow may bring.”

“Or what yesterday did to us.”

“A chance to escape and forget.”

“A chance to breathe and live again.”

He smiled softly, his eyes locked on hers. “Let’s do it.”

Aspen could feel a tiny shiver move through her chest. “Yeah?”

“Yes, let’s just get out there and go. See where the road takes us and live for today. That’s all we have, really.”

“You’re right.” Her eyes matched her smile. “Thank you.”

Alex chuckled low. “You’re going to have to quit thanking me. I’m doing this for myself, too.”

“I know.” Her face grew serious. “But I still really appreciate everything you’re doing and what you’ve done.”

He held up a finger and pressed it gently to her lips in a shushing gesture. “Remember, no thoughts about yesterday.”

With her lips pressed firmly together she nodded her head.

“Good.” He pulled his hand away and tucked some of her hair behind her ear. “We’ll head out first thing in the morning.”

“Okay.” She smiled again then leaned in and kissed his cheek. “I’m going to call it a night. I’ll see you bright and early tomorrow.” Then she pulled back and slipped from the bed. “Goodnight.”

“Goodnight, sleep tight.” Alex watched her glide across the floor and disappear through the connecting doors into her own room. It wasn’t until those doors were closed and he was left lying in the dark with the only glow coming from the television that he realized his heart was beating harder and a little faster.

~*~*~*~*~

The following morning before they checked out of the motel, Aspen sent a text to her agent asking that he get someone to take her car from where it was still parked at The Grove, back to her home. Then she switched her phone off before he could respond and did the same with Alex’s phone. After a quick breakfast in the morning room, they loaded up in the car and were off once more to explore and see what lay ahead.

Highway 41 took the duo into Yosemite National Park. It lay just north east of their hotel and didn’t take long at all before they were coasting along the winding curves and seeing the magnificent views of the rock formations, mountain peaks and overlooks to the valleys below.

It was breathtaking for Aspen, who had never been this far north in California yet, surprisingly. She’d always been so busy with her film projects and promotions and Reid to take time away and just enjoy the beauty that was all around. Even when they’d filmed in another country, Aspen would be too involved with the film and script to do a little sightseeing. And as the car made its way deeper into the park and toward Yosemite Valley, she was kicking herself for not doing this a hell of a lot sooner.

“I can’t believe how gorgeous this is,” she breathed out to Alex as he slowed for a sharp curve that left the car hugging the road and one of the most surreal views she’d ever seen to the left.

He chuckled low. “Have you never been here before?”

“No,” she tore her eyes away from the scenery and over to him, “and I can’t believe it either. This is just…indescribable.”

Alex grinned at that. “This is just the beginning. Wait until we get further into the park and you see El Capitan and Glacier Point.”

“I almost can’t wait,” she sounded as excited as a five year old in a toy store would be. “I wish I had brought my camer-oh wait, my phone!” And she was digging through her bag and pulling the Blackberry out. “It has video too.”

“You sound like my mom.” He laughed at that then quickly corrected himself, “Not that you sound like an older woman, but she gets all excited and has to take pictures of everything.”

Aspen chuckled. “I’m glad you explained what you meant before I had to get all upset for sounding like a grown man’s mother.”

“No,” he laughed again, “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it in a bad way.”

She smiled at that then turned back to the window and the glorious view that was around them. For the next hour, there wasn’t much detailed conversation between the two as they made their way deeper into the park. Aspen snapped pictures with her phone and excitedly pointed out when she saw a few deer or a view that took her breath away. At one point, Alex pulled the car off the road at an overlook and the two got out and just watched the scenery before them. It was more beautiful than anything the blonde had seen before and compared to LA or even Nebraska, it had them both beat tenfold. Finally, they reached the first destination Alex wanted her to see; Glacier Point. He parked next to a few other vehicles then they slipped from the Porsche and made their way to the look out to see the valley below and nature at its finest in all its glory.

Aspen was speechless as she stared out at the view of the valley and the rock formations surrounding it. Off across the way, she could see waterfalls cascading down the rocks and disappearing out of sight and she held her phone to her chest, just feeling the power of the beauty around her settling in her body. There really were no words to describe what she was seeing before her very eyes, but it was more powerful and beautiful and perfect than anything in her life and she could feel the tension and stress just melting from her shoulders and flowing out of her body in tune with the water that was flowing over the cliffs. It was a moment she never wanted to forget and she turned to Alex, opening her mouth to speak her thoughts, but trailed off at the expression on his face.

He had been staring out at the view with his own look of awe and astonishment. The clean air around them, the powerful sights before them and the woman at his side who seemed to understand his struggles without having to say a word were making his own worries and low self worth slowly start to dissolve. For the first time, in a very long time, there was a sense of peace settling in his chest and Alex realized very quickly that he didn’t want to lose it. Shifting his gaze over to Aspen, he found her eyes on him and he wet his bottom lip. “What?”

“You,” she drew a shoulder up in a susceptible manner, “just looked really serene and relaxed.” And beautiful, she had wanted to add. But men didn’t usually like to be called beautiful, though that was exactly how he had looked. Like he had found a little piece of the soul he’d lost over the years.

“How can you not feel that way out here? I mean, look at that view.” And he gestured before him. “Places like this touch something deep inside you, you know.”

“I do,” she agreed wholeheartedly.

He glanced to her and grinned. “I’m glad you’re enjoying this. It’d be horrible if you were bored or something.”

“Oh gosh no,” she shook her head, “I’m not bored at all.” She watched him a moment, her fingers fiddling with her phone. “I think it was a great idea to come here, so thank you. It’s perfect and I love it.”

He could hear the conviction in her voice and that warmed him inside. “You’re very welcome.” Then he reached over and quickly snatched her phone away.

“Hey!” Aspens eyes widened at that, but before she could react, he was holding it up and snapping her photo.

“Picture time!” He took a few more before finally handing it back over then laughing when she wrapped her arm around his waist and tugged him next to her so she could take one of the two of them together.

They took a few more and Aspen even finagled Alex in handing his phone over for some photos as well.

“Something to remember it all by,” she said as held his iPhone out in front of them and snapped the picture. “And when we get back home and think we’re going to drown in all the mess, just pull your phone out and look at these pictures. Hopefully it’ll help.”

Alex accepted the cell phone back and studied the picture, a smile slowly spreading over his lips at the sight of the two of them posing together with silly grins on their faces and their heads inclined toward each other. It was a moment he never wanted to forget. Slipping his phone back into his pocket, he reached out and took her hand in his. “Now it’s my turn to thank you.”

“You’re very welcome.” She squeezed his hand then turned back to the view, allowing herself to be swept up in it again and all of her problems waiting at home slipping from her mind.

And that’s how they stayed for a long while; standing side by side, hands intertwined, watching out over Glacier Point and lost in the moment of life’s not-so-little wonders while their souls took the first step in becoming whole again.

Chapter Four by summer
Author's Notes:

Found this chapter hiding and thought I'd update it. :)

The following day, the two were back on the road and following Highway 88 into Nevada with no specific destination in mind. After taking in the overlook at Glacier Point, they’d taken their time driving the scenic way through the park and stopping here or there to admire the view and take a few pictures. It had been a relaxing day for both Aspen and Alex and when nightfall finally arrived, they found another small, but clean, motel just outside of the park to stay in. Then after breakfast, it was back on the road and just letting the car take them where it could.

“Let’s play a game,” Aspen suggested, turning her gaze from where she’d been watching the mountains in the distance and over to her companion.

Alex glanced at her. “What kind of a game?”

She shrugged. “Something like Twenty Questions. We’re here together for a little bit, we might as well get to know each other.”

“Okay,” he nodded some, “that makes sense. You start.”

“Alright.” She pursed her lips and mulled over what question to ask him first. “Hm, okay so what is the one thing that you love most about yourself?”

He lifted his brows at that, keeping his eyes on the road. “That’s a good one, though at the moment I don’t love much about myself, to be honest.”

Aspen frowned some. “Why’s that?”

“Because all I manage to do is fuc-mess everything up.” He wasn’t sure why he was being so forward with his insecurities, but it didn’t feel wrong to be telling her. “My friendships, my love life, my family relationships; somewhere along the way I screwed ‘em up, made them hate me, or shut them out of my life.”

She studied him, wanting to delve further into that, but not feeling like it was the right time. “Well, there has to be something you like about yourself.”

He was quiet for a long moment. “My career,” he finally spoke. “I’m good at what I do and so far, knock on wood, I haven’t screwed it up.”

“I’d say that’s a really great achievement,” she enthused. “You guys have been really successful and gosh, you’ve been around for years and years. I used to listen to you when I was in high school.”

Alex got a tiny grin at that admission from her. “Oh you did, huh?”

She giggled low and smoothed her jeans some. “My best friend and I would dance around our bedrooms singing ‘Quit Playing Games’ more times than I can remember.”

“In your underwear?”

Aspen laughed. “Oh of course and then after, we’d have naked pillow fights.”

“Ooh, now that’s a nice mental. Okay, my turn.” He smirked slowly. “In high school, when you danced around in your underwear singing our songs…who was your favorite Backstreet Boy?”

A slight blush crept over her cheeks and she laughed. “You’re seriously asking me this?”

“I’m seriously asking you this.”

“Alright,” she chuckled then cleared her throat, “I’d have to say it was probably Brian.”

“Brian?” Alex made a face. “Brian was your favorite? Why?”

“Well,” she giggled low at the expression he made, “I think it was his chiseled cheekbones and beautiful blue eyes that drew me in.”

He frowned at that. “Heh, well at least you didn’t say Nick. Everyone just loves Nick.”

She held back a laugh. “Do I detect a note of jealousy there?”

“Jealous? Me? Of Nick?” He snorted then scoffed at her. “There’s no way I’m jealous of Carter. If anything, he should be jealous of me.”

“Uh huh,” she watched him with a knowing look, “you just keep telling yourself that.”

“I’m serious.” Alex glanced at her then to the road. “I’m pretty popular with the fans and I got plenty of ladies back in the day.”

Aspen arched a brow. “That something you guys kept track of? Notches on your bedpost? Was it like some competition or something?”

“No,” he shook his head, “I’ll admit that we did let it get out of control with the groupies and fans when we were really starting to get famous and at the height of our careers, but then we grew up.”

“So, it’s not something you do anymore?”

He hesitated and her eyes widened.

You still do?

“No,” Alex spoke quickly, maybe a little too quickly. “We don’t go around sleeping with groupies or fans anymore, but I’m not going to lie and say that I don’t,” he trailed off and tried to think of the appropriate way to put his thoughts.

“That you don’t still sleep around,” she finished for him.

This was definitely taking a turn in a direction that he didn’t like. “Not as much as I used to; hardly ever anymore, really.”

“I’m the one person you don’t have to explain yourself to.” She reached over and touched the hand he had resting on the gearstick. “I’m not here to judge you and you don’t have to prove yourself to me.”

Alex glanced over to her again, seeing nothing but warmth and understanding in her beautiful eyes. “I really am trying to control myself and get back on track.”

“That’s why you’re here, isn’t it?”

“One of the reasons.”

She smiled and gave the back of his hand a squeeze before releasing it. “But we are way off track. I believe it’s my turn to ask you a question.”

He nodded his head in a ‘go ahead’ motion. “Ask away.”

“Hm.” Aspen pressed her lips together and thought it over, her pointer finger tapping her chin. She wanted to keep the questions light and fun. “Okay, which do you prefer; dogs or cats?”

“Dogs.” His eyes shifted her way. “I have one actually. Cats are alright, but dogs are much more personable and playful. You try to throw a Frisbee to a cat and they’re gonna stare at you like you’re a crazy person.”

She laughed and nodded her head. “I feel that same way. I love dogs; puppies especially.”

“Do you have any?”

At that question, a forlorn expression crossed her porcelain face. “I used to have a border collie; Duchess, but Reid took her.”

“I’m so sorry.” He could have kicked himself for asking her that.

“You didn’t know.” She tried to shrug it off, but he could see a distant look in her eyes.

“Okay, my turn.” Time to change the subject. “What is your biggest fear? And I’m talking like heights, the dark, spiders, kinda stuff.”

She pursed her lips. “Um, claustrophobia. I hate being in tight, cramped places where I feel like I may get stuck. Like elevators; I hate elevators. And those small airplanes with like room for six people.” She peeked her eyes his way. “Wanna know a secret?” When he nodded, she continued, “Sometimes I have to take a sedative if I have to fly on one of those kinds of planes. Big ones, no problem, but if you put me on a twin engine or something, I’ll need some help relaxing.”

“Boy, I bet you’re fun to travel with.”

She chuckled. “Only if it’s a small plane.”

“Well, if it’ll make you feel any better, I hate roller coasters.”

“Seriously?” Her eyes widened at that.

Alex nodded his head. “Dead serious. I hate how they make my stomach dip and some of them make me so dizzy.” He made a little face.

“Wow, I think I can count on one hand the number of people I know that hate roller coasters.”

He stuck his tongue out at her. “We are few and far between, but we are out there.”

That made her laugh. “That sounds like it belongs in some TV show or movie about aliens; we are out there.”

“Are you making fun of me?” He tried to hide his smile, but was unsuccessful.

“I’m laughing with you, not at you.” She reached over and gently nudged his arm. “But on a serious note, roller coasters aren’t for everyone just like small airplanes aren’t either.”

He nodded firmly at that. “That’s right. Amen.”

She giggled then cleared her throat. “Alright, I think it’s my turn, right?”

“Right,” Alex agreed.

“Hm, I want a really good question.” She looked like she was thinking hard.

“Don’t hurt yourself with all that thinking,” he teased her.

She laughed and gently nudged his arm again. “Okay, if you were lost on a deserted island, what’s the one thing you would absolutely have to have with you?”

“Ooh, that is a good question.” It was his turn to think hard. “Well, I’d want to say my phone, but eventually the battery would run out and it’d be useless. Though,” he glanced to her, “if I did say my phone then I might be able to use it to be rescued.”

“What is there’s no service?”

“Hm,” he tapped his fingers on the steering wheel and thought it over, “maybe a knife so I could catch fish and clean them or use it to build a shelter or something. Or defend myself against any enemies that might come along,” he added as an afterthought.

“I think that’s what I’d want to have with me too, she agreed. “Something you’d need for survival like that, because as nice as it sounds to have sunblock so you don’t get burnt to a crisp, it’s not going to get you very far in the grand scheme of things.”

He smiled at her. “You’re a smart lady.”

“I do try.” She returned the smile then brushed a lock of hair from her face.

“Ooh, check it out; Welcome to Nevada.” Alex pointed toward the sign they were passing as they exited California and entered into the next state. “We are now in Nevada, my dear.”

“Sweet,” she peered out the windows and took in the sights of the snow peaked mountains in the distance, “it’s all so beautiful. When do we start getting into the more flatlands?”

Alex pushed the car to go a little faster along the single two-lane highway and soon they were flying down it pushing 90 with ease. “Not until you get further east; Nevada, Utah, Colorado are all pretty mountainous.”

“How far east do you think we’ll get?”

“It really depends on what we stop to do along the way and how long we spend doing it. Or,” he looked her way, “we might head north or south.”

“That’s true. Just long as we don’t head back to LA, I don’t care where we go.”

He chuckled and watched ahead at the road that was stretched before them for miles and miles. Just then the sound of another car approaching fast on their tail filled the air around them and Alex shifted his gaze to the rearview to see a red Camaro bearing down on them. “I think we got some company.”

“What?” Aspen twisted in the seat to see out the back window. “How did they find us so quickly?”

She sounded so panicked and Alex bit back the chuckle at her misunderstanding. “No, not the paps, probably some punk teens out for a ride in their daddy’s car.”

The blonde watched as the shiny car got right on their rear then cut into the oncoming lane and pulled up next to theirs. She was thankful for the dark tint on Alex’s windows so they weren’t able to see inside. Expecting the other vehicle to pull on ahead and move back into the correct lane, she frowned as it stayed right beside them, matching their speed. “What are they doing?”

“Challenging us,” came his reply as he gripped the wheel and maintained the same speed as the Camaro. Just like his windows were darkly tinted, the same went for the other car as well, so it was impossible to see who was inside.

“Are they crazy?” Her frown deepened. “They’re gonna hurt somebody. Maybe you should slow down.”

Alex wet his bottom lip and shifted his gaze between Aspen and the Camaro. His foot was itching to push down on the accelerator and show the other vehicle just what he had under his hood, but he didn’t want to alarm or scare his passenger. Reluctantly, he eased off the gas and allowed the Porsche to fall back from the other car.

This didn’t last for long, because soon the Camaro was slowing down next to them, continuing to maintain the same speed as the Cayman. Aspen’s eyes narrowed at that. “What the hell does he think he’s doing?”

“I told you, he’s challenging us.” Alex shifted gears as the car slowed some more. “I don’t think he’s gonna let up until we race him.”

“Then he’s crazy!” She watched the road ahead to make sure no oncoming traffic was headed their way. “Someone is gonna get hurt.”

“Not necessarily.” He glanced to her then back to the road before them. “Do you trust me?”

Aspen hesitated. She didn’t know him well enough to know rather she trusted him or not. Her trust had been shattered in her break up with Reid and it was going to take a lot of time before she would be able to answer that question with a wholehearted ‘yes’ of anyone. “I think so,” she finally relented. So far he’d done nothing to prove he wasn’t good as his word.

“Good, then please trust me; we’re gonna be okay.” And then he shifted gears like a pro and the Porsche surged forward and shot down the roadway ahead of them, leaving the Camaro behind, but only momentarily. It was soon on their heels then gaining ground until it was neck to neck with their vehicle.

“Oh my gosh,” Aspen muttered low, pressing herself into the seat and gripping the edge of it with her hands. Her heart was already beating a mile a minute and the faster Alex pushed on the gas, the faster it seemed to go, soon echoing in her head and her breath caught in her throat. Someone was going to get hurt or even die. So far they were lucky no other vehicles were approaching, but that luck couldn’t last forever and she could already see a fiery crash on the horizon.

Next to her, Alex laughed then pushed the gearstick into another gear and the car flew even faster, the scenery whizzing by in one blur of brown and green. The needle on the speedometer was slowly inching to 120 and unfortunately the red Camaro was matching it with ease. “Shit, he is not letting up.”

“Do you really think he would?” Aspen shouted at him from her seat, afraid to move even half an inch. Her heart had now climbed into her throat and she was watching with paralyzed fear for an innocent vehicle out for a leisurely drive to fall prey in their sick little game.

Alex would have looked at her, but didn’t want to risk tearing his eyes from the road. “Relax, sweetheart, I got this.” Then he pushed the Porsche even further and they inched ahead of the Camaro.

For a moment, it looked like they were going to pull ahead and win. But then everything seemed to happen at once. A blue pick-up came up over a slight dip in the road and materialized out of nowhere about the same time the Chevrolet gunned its engine and gained on the distance put between them. It was neck and neck again and the lone blue truck ahead had nowhere to go. Aspen gave a shriek and covered her face with her hands the same time Alex cursed under his breath and risked a glance at the other vehicle.

“Oh my God, stop!” Aspen cried out behind her hands, but Alex knew they were going too fast and if he touched the brake they’d be fishtailing and spinning out of control. Instead, he downshifted and eased off the gas pedal, hoping the Camaro wouldn’t do the same and would be able to cut in front of him and out of the path of the truck.

But it didn’t look like the red Chevrolet was going anywhere else but straight at the truck, which was responding with loud blares from its horn. Aspen peeked through her fingers and watched horrified as it descended on the truck then at the very last minute, cut back into the correct lane and flew on down the road ahead of them.

“Shit!” Alex glanced to the pick-up as they passed it then back to the road then over to Aspen. “Are you okay?”

She slowly pulled her hands from her face and nodded. “Yeah, I uh, I…think so.” Her heart was still lodged in her throat and the pulse in the side of her neck was throbbing. “Oh my God, please don’t do that again.”

“That punk was a little shithead.”

She pressed a hand to her forehead then tucked her hair behind her ears. “I think I nearly peed a little.”

He laughed at that, thankful for the break in the tension that had mounted in the car since the Camaro had appeared. “Did you really?”

“No, but nearly.” Her eyes were still wide and she watched him with a look that made him feel bad for scaring her so.

“I’m sorry.” He got the car back to a normal speed then reached over and took her hand in his, giving it a squeeze. “If I’d known he was that crazy, I wouldn’t have done that. I didn’t mean to scare you.”

She held his hand tightly and could feel herself beginning to relax again. “It’s okay. That, that,” she didn’t really have any words to describe it, “that was crazy.”

He chuckled. “It was and I promise never to do it again.”

“Good.” She settled into the seat again and willed her body to relax even more.

Alex looked between her and the road ahead, thankful she hadn’t been pissed off and yelled at him. The last thing he wanted was to ruin their trip or make her hate him. But he hadn’t been able to help himself when the Camaro had appeared and challenged him and the bit of a thrill that’d shot through him had ignited something inside and left him feeling confident and capable of anything. And at the moment, he really needed that. He needed to feel something, anything other than the self hate and disgust he’d been feeling.

“So,” Aspen broke the bit of silence that had fallen over them. “What should we do now?

Alex glanced to her then let his eyes drift to where their hands were still intertwined. “Well, I don’t know about you, but I’m getting hungry.”

“I am too.” She looked to the clock on the stereo there in the car. “It’s past lunchtime, how ‘bout we find somewhere to eat.”

“That sounds like a good plan to me,” he agreed as the Porsche continued on down the road, taking them further into Nevada and away from California.

~*~*~*~*~

“You’ve got to be fucking kidding me!” Alex frowned at the red Chevrolet Camaro that was parked in the parking lot of the small diner they’d just pulled into. Then realizing what he’d said, he turned to Aspen and apologized, “Sorry. You’ve got to be freaking kidding me.”

She laughed low and stared at the other vehicle. “What are the chances, huh? Think we’ll know who they are?”

He surveyed the lot to see a few more cars and an SUV or two. “I don’t know; it looks like they might be kind of busy. Let’s hope he doesn’t spot us and wait for us or some stupid shi-stuff like that.”

“Yeah, I really do not want a replay.” Aspen waited until he had pulled into a spot on the opposite side of the lot of the Camaro, tucked between an F-150 and a Suburban, and unbuckled her seatbelt.

“Me either.” He undid his own belt then slipped from the vehicle and was at her side opening her door before she could do it on her own.

Thanking him, she exited the Porsche then together they strolled across the pavement to the small diner and inside where smells of burgers and fries and other mouth watering tastes greeted them.

The interior of the place was lively and the atmosphere from the music flowing out of the juke box in the corner and the families that crowded the tables and booths made it seem like a friendly place. The sign at the entrance said to seat themselves, so Alex led the way to a booth in the corner with red vinyl seats and a white and gray Formica table.

They sat opposite each other and Aspen turned in her seat to study the other patrons; a family of five, one of three, another couple off in a corner sharing a milkshake, two teen boys who seemed to be in a fry eating contest with each other, a lady with long legs and red painted nails who was fixing her makeup in a compact, and a guy about her age with a scruffy beard, but dressed in some nice slacks and a polo. “I think it’s the guy with the beard,” she muttered low to Alex.

He leaned up to peer over at the guy then turned to her. “You’re probably right. Though the teen boys are looking pretty good for it, too.”

“No,” she shook her head, “they seem too immature to play chicken with the truck like they did. They woulda cut back in front of us. I think it’s the guy.”

“Should we go find out?”

Her blue eyes stretched at that. “Are you serious? I thought you didn’t want him to know we were here?”

He laughed at her expression. “I’m not serious. Though, it is tempting.”

She laughed low, but was thankful when the waitress approached them. She was young, couldn’t be older than 30, and had dirty blonde hair tied back in a messy ponytail and eyes so green and deep they looked like they could have been emeralds. She wore a pair of black slacks and a white polo with the name of the diner on the breast pocket. In her hand she clutched a small pencil and a pad of paper for the order to be jotted on and the nametag attached below the slogan on her shirt read ‘Gwen’.

“Hey, ya’ll,” she greeted them, her sweet voice thick with a southern accent. Aspen would have thought they were in Tennessee or Mississippi had she not known better. “Welcome to Mama’s Little Diner. My name’s Gwen and I’ll be your server today.”

“Hello,” Aspen greeted her then grimaced inwardly when Gwen’s eyes widened in recognition.

“Oh, my gosh,” she clutched her notepad with both hands and held them to her chest, “you’re…you’re Aspen Grace!”

The blonde shifted her gaze around the diner, slowly sinking lower in her seat to keep from being seen by the others around them. “Yes, but please, can we keep that between us?”

Gwen blinked then pressed her lips together firmly and nodded her head. “Of course, oh Lordy, this is so excitin’. We’ve never had a real celebrity in here before!” Then her gaze shifted over to Alex and she looked between the two in shock. “Oh my word, I don’t believe it!”

Alex rubbed his head and was beginning to think they should have found a drive-thru. “We just want some lunch.”

“I saw you two on the TV yesterday.” She pointed her pencil at them both. “You’re the new Hollywood couple, ya know.”

Aspen was sliding lower and lower in the booth; any more so and she’d be under the table. “Please, we just want some lunch.”

Gwen seemed to snap out of her excitement and stood right again. “Of course ya’ll do. You’re people too.” She nodded her head like she firmly believed it. “What can I get ya’ll to drink? The menu’s are right there.” And she motioned to where they were tucked between the napkin holder and the wall. “If I may suggest, the Cobb Salad is the best in the county.”

The two exchanged a glance and Aspen turned back to the server. “I’ll just take a club sandwich and a lemonade.”

“Do you have any veggie burgers?” When Gwen nodded Alex ordered one of those with a large ice water and a cup of coffee.

Gwen looked like she wanted to say more, but she bit her tongue and told them she would put their orders in right away then hurried away and toward the kitchen.

Aspen watched her go then looked over to her companion. “Ten bucks says she’s gonna go tell everyone back there that we’re out here.”

“I’m not taking that bet, you’re a hundred percent right.”

“Think anyone will ask for autographs?”

Alex tilted his head. “They might; pictures too to hang on the walls since we are the first celebrities to be here.”

She mulled over their options. “Think we could get out unnoticed?”

“We probably could if we left right now, but I thought you were hungry.”

She sighed then pouted. “I am.

“Then let’s stay and eat and hope that no one is going to care that we’re out here.” He reached over and put his hand over hers to still her fingers from where they were nervously drumming on the table.

Aspen thought it over, her nervous twitch going from her fingers to her bouncing leg when he stopped her hand. “Alright, but if they start swarming us, you have to distract them while I run for the car.”

Alex chuckled. “Deal.”

“Thank you.” She glanced around the restaurant, but no one seemed to take note of them. Relaxing a bit at that, she forced her leg to stop bouncing and turned her attention back to Alex. “We never got to finish our game.”

“I know right. That Camaro kind of threw everything off track.”

She nodded some then reached and fiddled with the napkin her silverware was wrapped in. “I still say it’s the guy in the polo.”

Alex shifted his eyes in that direction then back to Aspen. “He’s watching us.”

She wanted to look too, but refrained. They didn’t need to call more attention to themselves. “Does he recognize us?”

“Well, he couldn’t see into the car, if that’s what you mean and I’m not sure if he knows who we are.” He kept his eyes trained on the blonde, but would let them flicker to the man every so often to still see him watching them. “Though he’s staring at us like he might.”

Just then, Gwen arrived with their drinks. “One ice water and one lemonade,” she announced in her cheery southern twang as she set the glasses in front of them. “I hope ya’ll don’t mind, but I had to tell the cooks ya’ll were out here. They promised to get your food made up right away and served as quick as can be.”

Aspen frowned some, but plastered a smile to her face. “Thank you, Gwen, that was very kind of you.”

The dirty haired blonde blushed some and fiddled with the string of the half apron that hung around her waist. “Do you um, would you two mind giving me an autograph? I just…I mean, this is the most excitin’ thing that’s ever happened to me.”

“Not at all.” Alex reached for the pad of paper and the pen she produced from her pocket. Quickly, he scrawled a cute little message and signed his name then pushed the paper across the table to Aspen.

She added her own personal message and name then held it out toward the server. “There you go.”

Gwen accepted it with a soft giggle. “Thank you so much! Your food should be out real soon.” Then she turned and fled back toward the kitchen, clutching the paper to her chest like it was a precious valuable she didn’t want snatched away.

“You do realize we’re going to have to give her a good tip, right?”

Alex looked over to the blonde and chuckled. “Yeah, the thought has crossed my mind.”

She chuckled and within a few minutes, Gwen was setting their food down and making sure they had everything they would need. Thankfully, their meal went undisturbed. The teen girl that left with her parents and two younger siblings stared at them as they passed, but no one interrupted or asked for a picture or autograph.

Since the food had arrived so quickly, it didn’t take long for them to eat and then Aspen paid, despite her companion’s objections. He, of course, insisted on leaving the tip, which was very generous and soon they were exiting the diner and heading for the Porsche; the red Camaro nowhere in sight. The scruffy bearded man in the polo had slipped out while the two had been eating.

Alex pulled her door open and helped her in then rounded the vehicle to his side when a piece of paper tucked beneath his windshield wiper caught his attention. He pulled it out then slipped into the driver’s side and unfolded it.

Next to him, Aspen was watching with an intrigued interest. “What’s that?”

“I’m not sure.” He got it opened and read over the words then gave a laugh and held it so she could see it too.

Nice try back there. Too bad you’re too chicken to really race. You ever change your mind, you can meet us here.

Then it gave directions to some place where they probably did illegal street racing.

Aspen’s eyes widened and she laughed low. “Wow, you’re being invited to join some street racing gang.”

Alex chuckled and read over the note again. “Sure looks that way.” He glanced to her. “Should we check it out?”

“Are you serious?” Her eyes widened. “Have you never seen The Fast and the Furious? The cars they use would leave this Porsche in their dust. You’d lose all your money and probably even your car if you bet wrong.”

“You’re probably right.” He folded the paper back up and set it in the cup holder between the two seats. “Then we’d be screwed with no way back to LA.”

Aspen arched a brow. “On second thought, maybe we should give it a try; not having a way back to Los Angeles sounds like it might not be such a bad thing.”

He laughed at that then started up the car and maneuvered from the parking spot. “I can’t do that. She’s my baby.” He reached out and patted the dashboard for effect.

She giggled low. “Alright, what do you say to getting out of here and going on to our next destination, wherever that may be.”

Alex agreed and soon they were pulling out of the parking lot and heading back down the road. “You still think it was the guy in the polo?”

“I do.” She nodded and pushed some hair behind her ear. “He was the only one other than that family that left before we did.”

“Hm,” he scratched his jaw, “you’re probably right. You sure you don’t want to check it out?”

She peeked her eyes at him. “Do you want to?”

He pressed his lips together and thought it over. “Maybe, if we come back through this way. Right now we have an unknown destination we need to get to.”

“Right,” she agreed.

He nodded at that then shifted gears and pushed down more on the accelerator, sending them down the road and away from Mama’s Little Diner, the red Camaro and Gwen.

End Notes:

 

Thanks to those of you reading this fic. :)

As always, please leave me your thoughts!

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10365