Homecoming by Louise
Summary:

stories/70/images/homecomingbanner.png

stories/70/images/homecomingbanner.jpg

 

After six long years, the war with the Enemy is over. The survivors must come to terms with the fundamental changes in their lives, and discover what Home truly means.


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group
Genres: Science Fiction
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 62283 Read: 23741 Published: 07/05/11 Updated: 04/19/12
Story Notes:

This is an AU Science Fiction story featuring Kevin, Howie, Brian, AJ and Nick. 

1. One by Louise

2. Two by Louise

3. Three by Louise

4. Four by Louise

5. Five by Louise

6. Six by Louise

7. Seven by Louise

8. Eight by Louise

9. Nine by Louise

10. Ten by Louise

11. Eleven by Louise

12. Twelve by Louise

One by Louise

 

ONE

The war was almost over.

It had taken six years, the resources of an entire planet, and millions of lives, but the end was near. The collective feeling was one of immense relief; although the official declaration had yet to be given, victory celebrations were already in full swing.

The last two great warships of the Enemy were being chased, hounded by the ever-persistent Defense Force. The planet-bound paid little attention to the final battles; the massive thanksgiving on every continent had already begun.

~*~

The Essa and the Varith closed in on the Enemy vessel A'mbri just as it passed the orbit of the seventh planet. None of the three ships had much firepower left, but the A'mbri was slowly incapacitated. When a surrender was demanded, it replied as all Enemy ships did... a self-destruct shattered the silence of space moments later. With an ecstatic cheer, the crews of the two remaining ships turned and pushed homeward. Their part in the war was finished.

At the edge of the System, the Enemy's ship O'mosk limped past the third moon of the outermost planet, going barely one-forth its normal speed. The Parrin and the Sealk approached with caution; a cornered Enemy was a dangerous thing.

As the distance was lessened to the Enemy ship, the four men that made up the crew of the tiny vessel Parrin waited tensely. They had firepower, but little in the way of defensive shields; the much larger Sealk would take the lead. They were backup, only. But as time had proven again and again, there was really no safe place in war.

“Has the Sealk contacted the Enemy ship yet?” the blond captain at the Helm asked.

“Not yet,” came the reply from the Comm station. A pair of dark brown eyes looked at the one who had spoken. “I'm monitoring all ranges.”

“Focus on the O'mosk,” Captain Littrell said. “Maybe we can get a replay of that strange signal Nick caught last shift.”

“I still say it was an ident code,” the tall blond said from the Nav chair. “Broken up, and only a second or so long, but I'm sure of it.”

Howard Dorough flicked a few switches. “There,” he said. “I've broadened the band monitors to include any kind of signal, even in the obscure ranges. If there's a code, we'll catch it.”

“According to my scans,” Lt. McLean said from Weapons, “the Enemy doesn't have enough active energy reserves to blow out a birthday candle, much less fight back.”

“We know that their self-destruct capabilities are separate,” Littrell said. “They can activate it even when they register zero power. I don't trust them.”

“The ship's stopped,” Nick said suddenly. “The Enemy isn't moving.”

“Okay, we'll hang back a bit,” Littrell said, adjusting the Helm. “Monitor, please.”

Nick hit a button and the main window solidified into a monitor screen. The great battleship was, indeed, motionless.

“Why am I not happy about that?” AJ McLean muttered.

The Sealk moved closer, and the four heard the broadcast message clearly.

“This is the ship Sealk, of the Defense Force. We have you within range. We offer you the option of surrender. Please respond.”

Nick snorted. No Enemy ship ever surrendered. It would be the standard ten minute wait, then the final offer of surrender would be made... followed, of course, by the self destruction of the ship.

Three minutes had passed when Dorough, with a jolt, gasped and pressed his headset close to his ear. “Signal!”

Quickly the sound was broadcast through the control room. No one dared to breathe as the signal was looped and repeated.

“It is an ident!” Nick said as the code began for a third time.

“I know that code...” AJ said under his breath.

Brian Littrell stood, not consciously aware of his action. His face went a shade paler as realization struck.

“That's Kevin's code,” he said, shocking the other three men. “Howie... verify.”

A couple of seconds later, the Comm officer said, “Verified. Ident code of Captain Kevin Richardson. Reported-”

“Reported missing and presumed dead,” Brian finished hollowly.

“Where's it originating-”

“It's coming from the O'mosk,” Howie said, cutting Nick off in mid question.

“But how-”

“Contact the Sealk at once,” Brian snapped. “I want to talk to Captain Miles directly, priority code 7.”

~*~

“This is Captain Miles,” came a voice a minute later. “What is it, Littrell? We're kind of busy here.”

“We need you to back off,” Brian said, ignoring the condescending tone. “There's an ident code coming from-”

Back off? Have you finally snapped?” Miles said. “We're about to officially end this war. In a few minutes the Enemy ship is going to save us a lot of firepower and blow itself up. There's no way we're backing off.”

“You don't understand,” Brian said, fists clenched at his side. “We just caught a DF ident code originating from the O'mosk. Someone is sending a signal!”

“It's a trick,” Miles said dismissively. “A final desperate attempt at drawing us nearer so we go up in a blaze of glory as well.”

“It's not a trick! You know those codes can't be duplicated. That means that-”

“That someone broke under torture and revealed the information,” said the Captain. “Better they perish with the Enemy. Traitors aren't looked upon kindly back home.”

“But it's Kevin's code!”

“Richardson?” came the slightly surprised reply. “He's been MIA for what, five or six months?”

“His ship went down on reconnaissance duty six months ago, and the wreckage was positively identified. But they didn't find a body. His code transmission now proves he's alive!”

“It proves nothing,” Miles shot back. “Only that Richardson broke and gave out information he shouldn't have, or he's sleeping with the Enemy now. Either way-”

“It means he's alive,” Brian said forcefully. “Kevin would never break, and no one can question his alliances. If you don't pull back, the O'mosk will initiate their self destruct, and we won't have the chance to retrieve him.”

“Look, Littrell, face reality. They're not going to let us just come on board and poke around, looking for your lost traitor. I won't risk my crew or ship in any way. This war is over, the moment that cursed ship destructs. I'll go down as the Captain of the ship that ended it all, and that's the way I want it.”

“You self-centered, arrogant son of a-”

“Now, now, Captain,” Miles said, stressing the title, “that's not very professional of you. Although I suppose I should have expected such, since you gained your rank by default rather than accomplishment. As a matter of fact, seeking out Richardson is the last thing I'd expect you to do... with him in command, you'd be demoted back to Lieutenant Commander. That would look rather bad on your record, wouldn't it?”

Howie gripped Brian's arm, knowing the man was beyond furious. “This isn't getting us anywhere,” he hissed. “Ignore him, you know how he's always been. We need time. If that's really Kevin's signal, there's a chance we can send a flitter over there.”

Brian forced his anger back down, knowing his second in command was right. It was almost painful to speak civilly, but he did so.

“Miles, I'm not asking you to risk your crew or your ship... or your moment of glory. Let me send a flitter out, with one of my own men, and see if we can locate the source of the signal. If it's Richardson, we can get him; if not, we back off. All I need is for you to delay the second call of surrender.”

“And how is this supposed to benefit me?” Miles asked.

“If something goes wrong, you can say you tried to stop us. If it goes right, it will be because you allowed it. Either way, you win.”

Miles held his silence for a while. Anxiously, Brian glanced at the time: only four minutes left.

“I suppose I can be magnanimous,” Miles finally said. “After all, this is the final battleship, and the final conflict in the entire war. All right, Littrell, you've got fifteen minutes. Just don't say I didn't warn you.”

Howie cut communications at once and AJ bounded from his seat. He hurried to the hangar, Brian and Nick close on his heels. Swiftly donning his helmet, he climbed into the retrieval craft, his lean frame filling the front compartment.

“Coordinate with Howie at all times,” Brian instructed. “Get into as tight an orbit to the ship as you can, and triangulate with us up here. If I give the retreat signal, get out of there immediately. Understood?”

“Yes, sir,” AJ answered. He buckled the final straps.

“Don't forget that you need an 8.4 unit distance if the ship blows,” Nick said, completing the outer flight check. “The boosters should work, but we haven't tested them yet. So don't take any chances.”

“Got it,” AJ said. “Clear the bay.”

The two men retreated, closing the airlock behind them. A moment later, a rumble was felt beneath their feet as the flitter was launched.

~*~

A hand, pulling, grabbing... pain, flaring, black dots threatening once again...

K'vn,” came the rough plea. “Go.”

Focus, push the blackness back...

K'vn!”

Yes, go, move, escape. No time, no time left, go...

Vision blurred, unable to see...

A hand, guiding.

“Go,” came the voice again. “Go.”

Stumbling along, the wail growing louder, ringing off the walls, louder... faster...

“In. In. Go.”

A tumbling, a steadying hand, darkness... sudden light. The wail, gone; a terrible, painful jolt. Spinning, turning, twisting...

Blackness.

~*~

“No signal,” AJ said into his headset. “I'm swinging wide, headed towards planetside.”

“Six minutes and counting,” Brian said over the comm. “That means five minutes search time. Do your pass, and whatever else you can manage, but be headed here on the mark.”

“Will do,” came the answer.

The keen-eyed pilot scanned the battleship, looking for anything out of the ordinary. Of course, a signal couldn't be seen, but perhaps there was a-

“Activity,” he said, catching movement from far on his left. “You tracking?”

“We got it,” Nick's voice said calmly. “It's too small to be a ship, but there aren't any weapon energy signatures.” A pause. “Wait. It's changing trajectory. Maybe a remote?”

“To what purpose?” AJ answered. “Looks like it's heading for the planet. Captain?”

“Follow it, safe minimum distance. And focus your arrays on whatever it is. We'll continue monitoring the ship.”

AJ desperately sought out a signal from the mysterious object, but it was silent as a grave. He followed it downward, easing the flitter towards the barren planet below. He knew he couldn't actually enter atmosphere in his craft, but he still had time topursue the object.

Unexpectedly, a signal rang out. He locked onto it instantly.

“Got a signal,” he reported. “It's coming from the unidentified, no doubt about it. What do you advise?”

“We verify,” Howie said. “Can you catch it before it hits proximity?”

“Catch it, maybe. Hang on.”

AJ swung his ship in an intercept trajectory and hit the boosters. With a blast of force, the small craft was thrust forward. If he timed it just right...

He activated the gravity grapple and sent a silent prayer that it would catch. A sudden bone-jarring motion slammed him back into his seat.

“Got it!” he cried, ignoring the pain in his shoulder where one of his safety straps had bitten him in the impact.

“Um, is it ticking?”Nick said.

“It's not a bomb, Carter,” AJ said, rolling his eyes at his teammate's dark humor. “To tell you the truth, I don't know what it is.”

“Scan for energy signatures,” Brian said.

AJ did as directed. “This is weird,” he said after a moment. “Minimal power, minimal energy usage. The signal isn't coming any more. I can just make out the object... the thing is mostly oval shaped, no obvious openings.”

“Could it be a decoy, a relay for that signal to be echoed from?”

“I suppose so, but to what end? I mean, why would they bother?”

“I don't know,” Brian answered. “Can you tow it back?”

“There's not much thrust to overcome,” the pilot replied. “Yes, I can tow it.”

“Then head back here ASAP. Time's almost up, and you're way too close to the O'mosk.”

AJ made the necessary course adjustments.

~*~

“This is the Defense Force ship Sealk,” came an imperious voice over the comm. “O'mosk, you have been given sufficient time to surrender. What is your answer?”

An energy spike registered on a multitude of monitors; everyone braced for the inevitable. Without a word in answer, the O'mosk began to glow eerily.

“Brace for detonation,” Miles said.

Blue and orange lightning traced along the hull of the Enemy ship, gathering intensity quickly. Then, in a startling blast, the ship blew, shattering into millions of pieces that were flung violently into space.

The deck below Miles' feet barely rocked.

“And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the final cry of a defeated Enemy.” He turned to his command crew. “Victory, at last!”

A rousing cheer erupted the normally subdued bridge; Miles basked in the glow.

~*~

“AJ!” Brian cried, seeing the O'mosk blow way too close to the tiny flitter. “Get out of there!”

“I... I can't go any faster,” AJ said tightly. “The extra strain-”

“Release the object,” Brian commanded.

Reluctantly, the pilot did as ordered. The object was left behind as the flitter's boosters kicked in. AJ had barely made it to safe range when the aftershock waves hit. He managed to get his craft to the haven of the Parrin just in time.

Howie looked up as the bedraggled pilot came into the control room. “That was close.”

“Too close, thanks,” AJ replied. He frowned. “We almost had that... whatever it was.”

“I'm still tracking it,” Nick said, eyes locked onto his scanner. “It got tumbled around in the aftershock, but it still looks intact. We can't bring it aboard, no room in the hold. Unfortunately, I don't think we have the power to lock on to it and drag it home.”

“We don't,” Brian said, “but I know someone who does.” He turned to Howie. “One more time, please.”

“Aye,” Howie said, contacting the Sealk.

“Well, Littrell, calling to congratulate me and my crew?”

“Congratulations,” Brian said evenly. “Especially to your hardworking crew. Now that you've effectively ended the war, I am asking a favor.”

Miles laughed. “Oh? And what could that be?”

“There was an object launched from the O'mosk just before it blew. We know it's not a bomb or a weapon; our pilot was able to tow it most of the way back here, but had to release it to escape the aftershock wave. We can't bring it aboard...”

“I should think not,” Miles said. “You barely have room for your skeleton crew as it is.”

“So I am asking you for a retrieval.”

“Why would I agree to that? I have every intention of making best speed towards home-”

“At the very least, it's an alien artifact,” Brian said. “A piece of Enemy technology. That would be the true feather in your Victory cap.”

Miles considered it. “You do have a point,” he said. “Enemy tech is rare... yes, I can see the value of presenting such an artifact to the Regent.” Then his tone changed. “So what's in it for you?”

“I want the chance to see what's inside. I know we got a signal from it, and I need to know why. That's all I'm asking. Please, Miles. You have nothing to lose and we both have everything to gain.”

“Very well,” Miles said at last. “I suppose it's just as well we pick it up; the two week trip back to home would be unbearable if I had to listen to your pouting and complaining the entire way. Consider it done.”

“You'll let us know when it's aboard, right?”

“Of course. When things get settled, I'll send an invite over. I've no doubt you and your entire, ah, crew would love to see a real ship in action. Now, I have other matters to tend to. Miles, out.”

Brian rubbed at the massive headache behind his eyes. “How in the universe did that man ever gain command?”

“It wasn't through personality, wit, charm, or ability,” Howie said dryly. “That's for sure.”

“Nick, plot the course home, follow the Sealk at a sane distance. I'm changing the schedule to regular shifts, so AJ and I will take the first rest periods. Howie, the Conn is yours. Wake me if anything relevant happens.”

“Aye, Captain,” Howie said.

~*~

Captain Jeremy Miles sat back and sipped at his drink. He smiled, reveling in the feeling of immense satisfaction. The war was over, thanks to him, and he would be greeted as a hero back home. Oh, the parades and honors might become tedious after a while, but the people deserved the chance to show their thanks and gratitude. He would humbly comply.

The Sealk was headed home, finally, and the atmosphere was one of excitement. Even the retrieval of the alien artifact had gone smoothly. Once radiation and energy checks had been completed, his tech staff would try and open it; who knew what treasures it might contain? In reality it didn't matter; no one had captured an artifact of this size from a battleship before. Another gold mark in the life journal of Captain Jeremy Miles.

Of course, he would acknowledge Littrell's small role in all of this; the man could use a boost in his so-far pathetic career, that was certain. He could afford to let a tiny bit of the spotlight shine elsewhere. To be honest, Littrell had stepped in and filled Richardson's shoes quite nicely. But then again, that said a lot about Richardson's skills to begin with.

Miles shook his head, not wanting to spoil the mood of the moment. He was about to pour another drink when his comm unit flashed.

“Yes?” he said, slightly irritated at the disturbance.

“Sorry to bother you, sir,” came a voice. “This is Lt. Raines, from Tech. We've completed the scans on the object, and have made a startling discovery.”

“What is it?”

“You'd... better come down ASAP, sir,” the tech said. “You'll want to be here.”

Miles pushed back a sharp reply and said, “This had better be worth it, Raines.”

“I believe it is, sir.”

“Oh, very well. I'll be right down.” He set down his glass, drew a heavy sigh, and strode out of his private quarters.

~*~

“So what's the emergency?” Miles asked without preamble.

“We've been taking various kinds of readings, trying to get a clue what's inside. The Parrin was right, it's not a bomb and the energy signatures are very minimal. We didn't find anything spectacular until we did the ultrasound and infrared readings.”

“And?” the Captain asked impatiently.

“Well, sir, all data indicates there are two life forms inside.”

Miles' jaw dropped. “What? What kind of life forms? It's too small-”

“One is definitely human,” Raines said hastily. “The other... we're not sure. And yes, sir, readings indicate at least one of them is alive.”

“Are you saying there's a live alien inside?”

“Something's alive inside, but like I said, we can't be sure one is alien. The readings are just a bit odd.”

“How could anything be alive in there?”

“We're not sure,” Raines speculated.

“Can it be opened?”

“We were waiting for your order, sir. If one of them is an alien...”

“Get security down here on the double,” Miles said. “And quarantine the area. I want this... thing... opened as quickly as possible. If there's any chance of capturing a live alien, I want it done.”

Raines frowned. He'd never said that the second life form was an alien; the most astonishing thing was there was a human inside. But he knew better than to argue with his Captain.

It took twenty minutes for the door mechanism to be discovered, and another ten to break the seal on what was now being called a capsule. With a great whoosh, and a large popping sound, the door sprang open.

At least six blaster guns were trained on the capsule, but it became obvious that they were unnecessary the moment the door opened. Two unmoving figures were slumped inside, tangled together carelessly. After a few seconds of astonishment, Raines sprang forward, eager to get the two bodies out where they could be examined.

He pulled the smallest one out first, trying to be as careful as he could. It only took a moment to register that the figure was female; she was barely breathing, and her lips were tinged with blue. As he straightened her out, the breathing seemed to ease. Before he could utter a word, however, a cry came from his side.

“Oh my- it's Kevin Richardson!” Aleta Simpson exclaimed.

“Are you sure it's Richardson?” Miles asked from a safe distance.

“Yes, sir, we served together a couple of years ago. There's no doubt,” she said.

“Is he alive?”

Aleta checked the vital signs with professional economy. “Yes,” she declared. “He's got a rebreather on...” She removed the small device from his mouth and made sure the man was breathing on his own. “Vitals are sluggish, but steady. We need to get him to Sickbay at once.”

“And what about the other?”

“She was having a bit of trouble, but her color's evening out now,” Raines said. “Her pulse is very slow, and her respiratory rate is barely registering.”

“Get them both to Sickbay, but keep the female under guard. I want a full report the instant the first assessment is made.”

Quickly, the two unconscious forms were whisked away.

~*~

“Put Captain Littrell on the line,” Miles said into the link an hour later.

“He's unavailable at the moment,” Howie responded coolly. “Is there something-”

“Get him,” Miles snapped. “It's important.”

“Aye, sir,” Howie said, trying to hide a frown. He thumbed a switch and called Brian's cabin. “Sorry, Captain, but Miles is on the line, he says it's important.”

“I wasn't asleep anyway,” Brian said, rolling out of his bunk. “I'll be right there.”

~*~

The Captain of the Parrin took a steadying breath before he said, “Littrell here.”

“I'm sending over a shuttle,” Miles said. “We've made an important discovery that you'll want to see.”

“What did you find?”

“I believe I've put together a very intriguing puzzle. We found the source of your ident code.”

Brian leaned forward, tensing up. “What do you mean?” he demanded.

“Get over here and I'll explain it all. Miles, out.”

“Sir, there's a shuttle within short range now,”Nick said. “It will reach the docking hatch in one minute.”

“Nick, you'll have command while I go see what Miles is up to. Wake AJ; Howie's coming with me.”

“Yes, sir.”

Brian turned to his second in command. “Ready for a field trip?”

“As I'll ever be. Wonder what Miles is up to.”

“I don't know, but it better be good,” Brian swore.

~*~

Lt. Raines greeted them at the airlock. “Welcome aboard, Captain, Lieutenant,” he said, giving a salute.

“Thank you,” Brian said, returning the greeting.

“If you'll follow me this way,” Raines directed. “We're going to Sickbay, on C deck.”

“Sickbay?”

“Yes, sir,” the younger man said. “I assume Captain Miles hasn't divulged any details?”

“Not a single one,” Howie said. “Can you clarify anything?”

“Uh... I'd love to, but I don't dare. I believe our Captain wants to do the honors.” Raines sighed as they waited for the lift. “He does have a flair for the... dramatic.”

Brian barely held back a snort. “No kidding,” he said.

Raines grinned. “All I'll say is, prepare for a shock.”

The trio stepped onto the lift.

~*~

Several guards were posted outside Sickbay doors; Brian wondered why such a precaution was needed.

Miles spied them and came over at once.

“Our little discovery has caused quite a bit of excitement,” he said.

“Cut to the chase, Miles,” Brian said. “What's the big mystery?”

Miles frowned, not caring for the clipped attitude. But, of course, it was expected, coming from Littrell.

“You wanted to find the source of the ident code, and that's exactly what we did. The answer is just behind that curtain.” He pointed to the left.

Raines let the two men over, and drew back the material. Brian stared for a stunned second, then took a step backwards.

Kevin?” Howie said in a hushed voice.

Brian blinked, staring at the damaged figure lying still on the bed. Then, in two strides, he was at the unmoving man's side.

There was no doubt. It was Kevin Richardson. By some miracle, the man was alive.

“What... tell me what happened,” he said, not looking away.

“Of course, it won't be verified until Richardson wakes, but I've pieced together what took place. Apparently Richardson was a prisoner on board the O'mosk... I say prisoner, due to the various repetitive injuries, weight loss, and general dishevelment he came here with. The object you wanted us to retrieve was an escape pod... one which he gained access to, probably through violent means. We found a hand-blaster, of alien origin, in the pod. There was a second body in the pod, one of a female. Scans have verified that she is not human... close, but not quite. Her uniform is consistent with previous reports of the Enemy's clothing. And while he had made use of a rebreather, which kept him alive, she had no such device. Therefore, I surmise that Richardson overpowered his guard, used the female as a shield or guide, and made his way to the escape pod. So not only did Richardson escape, he brought an alien captive along with him.” Miles crossed his arms. “Really remarkable, all things told.”

“And this female alien... is she still alive?”

“Yes, she is. We fixed up her most grievous injuries and secured her in a holding cell.”

“Is she awake? Did she say anything?”

“She remains unconscious,” Miles said. “She'll be guarded on a round the clock basis; as far as I know, she's the only one we've ever successfully captured.”

“Did they do this to him, on the ship?” Brian asked, indicating a large bruised area that covered him from jawline to torso, and a heavily bandaged right hand.

“Some injuries were surely from the pod ejection and subsequent damage due to the blast waves,” Raines provided. “Although we can't be positive which those are. A lot of the other injuries, the partially healed ones, were surely from captivity.” He cleared his throat. “His hand has sustained damage that requires surgery, which they'll undertake as soon as he's sufficiently strong. At this time, they're not sure about the damage to his leg. That appears quite old, perhaps months.”

Brian swallowed. Kevin was bare from the waist up, his skin covered in a multitude of bruises, cuts, abrasions and scars. Some looked like burns... others, he didn't dare speculate.

“He hasn't woken yet, has he?”

“Not yet,” Raines said. “That probably won't happen for a while. Right now, he's stable, and his pain is under control. They're giving him liquid nutrients, so he'll gain strength rapidly.”

“What about the alien?” Howie asked.

“She's being treated well within policy,” Miles said. “When she wakes, she'll be given food and water, but nothing for pain. Of course we want to keep her alive... there are many scientists back home eager to examine a live specimen.”

Howie shuddered.

“She'll receive much better treatment than Richardson, here, did,” Miles continued. “Although I can understand why many of my crew disagree with the policy.”

“With your permission, Captain,” Brian said slowly, “I'd like to stay aboard until he wakes.”

“Of course,” Miles said, smiling. “I thought you would. I've already had a cabin prepared for you and your lieutenant. It's only a spare compartment, but I daresay it's much larger than your quarters on the Parrin. You are welcome to stay as long as you wish.”

Or as long as I can stand, Brian thought. “Thank you.”

Brian grabbed a chair and sat next to Kevin while Howie, led by Raines, went up to the Comm station to give the rest of the Parrin crew the news.

~*~

 

Two by Louise

 

TWO

 

A hand shook him from sleep. He woke groggily, not able to orient himself right away.

“Howie?” he asked, sitting upright. “What's happened?”

A familiar smile met his question. “You fell asleep.”

“Kevin-”

“No change,” Howie said evenly. “You need to get something to eat, if you don't mind my saying so. Then a proper rest.”

“But-”

“I'll stay with him,” Howie promised. “He won't be alone. Miles offered a relief crew to pilot the Parrin, if you approve; Nick and AJ are eager to see Kevin for themselves.”

“That's a good idea,” Brian said, stretching. “What about you?”

“I've already eaten, and I'm good to go for another few hours. By then, Nick can relieve me here and we can work out a more sane schedule. I'm sure that the folks here in Sickbay are competent and all, but... I'd feel better with one of us here.”

“Agreed.” He stood, and together the two men regarded the third.

“He's a fighter,” came an unexpected voice from behind them.

Aleta,” Brian said, smiling in greeting. “I heard you'd gained your first-level med certification. Glad to see you here.” He shook her outstretched hand.

“Hello, Aleta,” Howie said, a bit shyly.

“Howie,” she said, nodding. “Been a while, huh?”

“Over a year,” he answered, then glanced away. Aleta shifted her gaze to Kevin's battered form.

“He's a fighter,” she repeated. “With as much as he's been through, that's the only way he's alive now.” She shook her head. “I still can't believe he's here.”

“Any idea when you might try to fix his hand?” Brian asked.

She glanced at the chart she was holding. “He's been stable for the last couple of hours, and his vitals have strengthened. We're planning on moving ahead with the first surgery in an hour or so.” She sighed. “It'll be tricky, but not impossible. I'm guessing it will take three surgeries, allowing him to stabilize for a day or so between each one. We have limited nano-tech, but it should be enough to help with the more delicate aspects once the final surgery is complete.”

“So he broke his hand in the pod?”

She shook her head. “No,” her voice said softly. “And 'broke' isn't the proper word. I'd say it was crushed, and well before that pod was launched.”

Brian swallowed, his throat suddenly dry. “His chances?”

“Right now, I'd say fairly good. He'll probably regain most of the use of his hand. His leg, I'm not sure. Scans indicate a badly healed knee injury, but it's too early to tell. It might be too late to correct, unless he opts for a total replacement. As for the rest...” She shrugged. “Mostly it's surface damage. None of us can understand why he has no internal damage. It doesn't seem to track.”

“That's something to be grateful for, anyways,” Howie said.

The three stood in silence for a short while.

“What about the alien?”

Aleta looked at Howie. “What about her?”

“Well, Miles said she'd been patched up...”

Aleta's eyes darkened. “Patched, barely. He's forbidden us to alleviate her pain, or even try to communicate with her.”

“Which you don't approve of,” Brian said.

“No, I don't. And I've made my opinion clear. Alien or not, she's a living being, and should at least be given minimal comfort. Keeping her locked away, in pain and isolation, makes us no better than the Enemy.”

“But look what they did to Kevin,” Brian said, frowning.

They, yes. But her... we just don't know. I'm not making a judgment, I'm only speaking as a medical healer. It goes against my every training to let someone... anyone... suffer needlessly.”

“I guess we'll have to wait for Kevin's side of the story to really know,” the young Captain said. “I hope that won't take too long.”

“He'll wake when he's ready,” Aleta said with confidence. “For now, he's got a lot of healing to do.”

“And you, sir, have a decent meal and a real rest to take care of,” Howie said, addressing Brian.

“Just call me if anything happens,” he said.

“Don't worry,” Aleta said. “I'll inform you first... even before Miles.”

Brian hid a grin and left Sickbay, wondering what Miles would have to say about that.

~*~

She watched carefully from her corner; the look on the man's face was all too familiar. He spoke as K'vn did, but his words were harsh and unpleasant sounding. She didn't need the strange words, though. The gleam in his eyes said enough.

She pushed the pain back, wondering where she was, and more importantly, where K'vn was. The man was dressed like he had been, many cycles ago; she was among his people. Her last memories, before darkness took her, had been placing the breathing device in K'vn's mouth and beginning her own Sleep. She could not tell how long it had been since their escape.

The man drew near, peering at her through the bars. He looked towards the door, said a string of odd, dark words, and smiled.

She didn't let a reaction show, although the man's intent was crystal clear. Instead, she gave him a cool, distant stare... her only defense, now she was injured and not allowed to heal.

The sound of a lock clicking, then-

The door to the room opened, unexpectedly. A woman, a stranger, entered, saying a few quick words to the man. Their conversation was short but strong; finally, he opened the lock and the woman moved close. The man, thankfully, remained outside.

Unable to retreat further, her injured back was pressed painfully against the bars. The woman spoke, her words soft and gentle... unusual, alien. Not to be trusted.

The woman's touch was careful, her strange words meant to comfort. She didn't attempt to fight when the woman moved to the bandages. One word caught her ear: heal. It was one of K'vn's words.

She realized this woman was a healer.

Of course, she did not let her guard down. No one could be trusted. None but K'vn.

~*~

Nick looked up as two familiar faces entered the room. He put down the sketchpad he'd been using and stood. He began a salute.

“At ease,” Brian said. “You know I hate formality, and as long as it's just us here, you can relax.”

“So how's he doing?” AJ asked, nodding at Kevin's inert form.

“His color's improved,” Nick said. “Aleta said the first surgery went really well. She was happy with the progress so far.” Then, the youngest member of the Parrin's crew frowned. “She had an argument with Captain Miles about an hour ago, though. Wasn't happy about that.”

“About the alien prisoner?”

“Yeah,” Nick answered. “He wants her kept isolated, with no visitors but those under his direct orders. Aleta wanted to tend to her.”

“I take it Miles won?”

Nick gave a slight grin. “Technically, yeah. But Aleta left, after her duty shift, with her portable med kit. Didn't say where she was going.”

“Interesting, that.” AJ moved closer to the bed. “You know, he still looks like hell.”

Brian regarded Kevin. “Trust me, he looks a lot better than he did. It's hard to imagine what he must have... endured.”

“Have they ever recovered a prisoner from the Enemy?” Nick asked.

“Not anyone who was aboard a battleship,” Brian said. “That's one of the worst things, losing all the human prisoners when they self-destruct.”

“Have... either one of you seen the alien?” Nick asked hesitantly.

“No,” AJ said.

“Not yet,” Brian answered. “I'm not sure I even want to, tell the truth.”

“Why not?”

“Look what they did to Kevin,” Brian said, a bitter tone in his voice. “Even if this alien didn't have anything to do with his injuries, she's still the Enemy.”

Nick grew thoughtful. “I wonder what Kevin will do once he wakes up and realizes she's alive.”

AJ shook his head. “That'll be up to him. I, for one, won't stand in his way, whatever happens.”

“Miles seems to think he's in charge of everything,” Brian said. “But I agree, she's Kevin's prisoner in the end.”

~*~

The celebration was in full swing when Howie came into the main dining hall. Everyone who wasn't on watch seemed to be there, enjoying the massive party. He wondered what it would be like back home.

He saw a few familiar faces; serving in the Defense Force for six years, one made a lot of connections. He found a drink in his hand before he had made it to the first table; obviously regulations about alcohol had been lifted, at least for this event.

He grabbed a plate and loaded up on food, which was in great abundance. Knowing the ship would dock back home in less than two weeks, the supplies weren't as tightly guarded now. And no doubt about it, rations on the Sealk were much better than what the Parrin had to offer.

Lt. Raines spied him, and came over with a smile. “Glad to see you here, Howie,” he said. “Captain Miles went all out on this one!”

“So I see,” Howie answered. “This seems astonishingly huge compared to what I'm used to. And I don't just mean the food.”

“The Sealk is a big ship,” Raines agreed. “Care for some company, or are you waiting for someone?”

“Join me,” he said at once. “I'm meeting AJ and Nick, but I don't think they're here yet.”

Raines joined him after refreshing his drink and the two chose a table a bit out of the mainstream. There, they could talk without having to shout.

“It's still hard to believe the war is over,” Raines said. “I mean... six years. I can't remember what civilian life was like.”

“It's going to be different,” Howie said. “Everything's changed. But I know what you mean... I can't imagine a life that doesn't involve fighting.”

“So you got anyone waiting for you back home?”

He shook his head. “Not really. Before the war, I just wasn't interested in a serious relationship... too young, you know? Then, once I was in the action... it seemed foolish to try and start something when it was all so uncertain.”

“Any family?”

Howie regarded the rim of his glass. “Last I heard, my mother was all right, and my youngest sister. My brother Julian was stationed on the Trask, but we've been out of contact for a couple months.” He looked up. “My father, my oldest sister... they're gone.”

“Sorry,” Raines said. “This war cost way too much. Everyone's suffered losses. I honestly don't know how my folks are doing. My sister... there was just the two of us... she wanted to join the relief corps, last I heard.” He took a drink. “They were in Epandra when the Enemy hit the city.”

Howie winced. Epandra had been devastated about a year earlier. “Maybe they were lucky.”

“Maybe,” Raines answered. “Guess I'll find out soon enough.”

“At least we can focus on recovery, rather than destruction, from now on.”

Raines raised his glass. “Hear, hear.”

Howie echoed the toast and drank to the future.

~*~

Nick glanced around uncomfortably. He wasn't used to this many people in one place; all he'd ever really known since the war was life aboard the Parrin. Not counting home, of course. When he'd finally been old enough to enlist, three years earlier, he'd been assigned to the Parrin for training. But when time had come to move along, Kevin had asked that he stay. It was practically unheard of for a Captain to request a newbie to remain, but the older man had fought long and hard to keep Nick in place. When Nick had gained the courage enough to ask why, Kevin had simply grinned and said that he saw great potential in him. Nick couldn't have been happier when the request had been approved.

In a sense, he'd grown up with the other four. He secretly thought of them as his older brothers, but would never admit to such a thing. Military life was too unpredictable, and there were risks his heart wouldn't take.

When Kevin had accepted a clandestine mission six months earlier, as a favor to their regiment commander, Nick had misgivings. But when the report came in that Richardson's craft had crashed, and he'd been assumed dead, it had been devastating. He'd been afraid that their tiny unit would be broken up and reassigned, but then Brian had been promoted and the team kept together. Apparently, the upper brass had looked at their excellent mission record and decided to keep the Parrin's crew as it was.

Now, with Kevin's return...

Nick shook his head. It would be a while before Kevin was ready to take back command, if ever. With the war over, nothing was certain. He had no love of the military, although he hated the thought of leaving his comrades. He'd never really thought past the latest mission; the idea of a peaceful life was daunting.

He looked around again, spying AJ talking with one of the Sealk's crew. The woman was pretty, with long blond hair and a trim figure. He gave a grin; that was AJ, alright, the romancer of the group. While he could barely think of things to say to the opposite sex, AJ seemed to be a magnet for their attention. Maybe he could get a few pointers from him, later...

“Hi there, Nick,” someone said, causing him to jump.

“Oh, uh, hi, Aleta,” he muttered.

“Having a good time?” she asked with a smile.

“I suppose so,” he said. “But actually I'm thinking of turning in early, our schedule has been way off and I want to be ready when... if...”

“Kevin wakes?” she prompted.

“Yeah,” he said.

“He's been showing signs of awareness for the last half an hour or so,” she said. “Which is a good indicator that he'll come around by tomorrow.”

“Really?” Nick said, blue eyes mirroring his excitement.

“Really,” she affirmed. “But just remember, he's got a long way to go. The physical injuries are bad enough, but there's a lot of stuff he needs to face.”

“His imprisonment.”

“Yes.”

Nick fell silent, trying to imagine what his oldest brother and friend would have to deal with. A touch on his arm brought him out of his thoughts.

“You know, despite the, ah, generosity of our 'beloved' Captain, I'm not in much of a partying mood. I think I'm going to take a walk. Want to join me?”

“Where are you going?” he said, already standing.

“Not sure,” she said, scanning the room. “Never know where random footsteps might lead.”

Nick thought about her words, then spoke in a low voice. “It wouldn't be a restricted area, would it?”

“Restricted is an ugly word, Nick. I prefer to use 'limited access'. And it so happens that, as First Medical Officer, I have access to all areas of the ship.”

“That's fine for you,” he said, “but what about me? The last thing I can afford to do is get in trouble here.”

“You're a guest,” she said with an easy smile. “And I'm only giving you a tour. Of course, if you're not interested...”

“Are you kidding? I've been dying to see the al-”

“Ahem.”

“Er, the... her.”

“Then let's blow this party and take a hike.”

The pair left the festivities, unnoticed.

~*~

“You've grown,” Aleta said as they walked down the corridor. “You've topped me by at least what, three inches. I bet you'll be as tall as Kevin soon.”

“AJ said he never could understand how I could keep growing on the rations we get,” Nick said, grinning. “At least he doesn't call me shrimp anymore.”

She laughed. “I sure miss serving with you guys. Even standard supply runs were an adventure.”

“Yeah, it wasn't the same once you moved on,” Nick said. “But I'm glad you finished your training. How is it, being the head Doc around here?”

“It has its moments,” she said. “Serving a crew this size is a challenge, but definitely worthwhile. I can't say there's any love lost between me and the Captain, but it's been a great experience.” Her hazel eyes darkened. “Up until recently, that is.”

“About that... why, exactly, are you risking trouble taking me to see the, um, prisoner?”

Aleta pressed the lift button in front of them and considered his question. “Well, it's hard to explain. There's something about this woman... alien or not... that has me intrigued. She's been conscious for quite a while, but hasn't uttered a word or fought back or tried to escape. She has this weird calmness about her... I don't know. Miles says she's a heartless, cold alien, but I just don't see it. I was hoping that I could get your opinion, gauge your gut reaction.”

“My opinion?”

“Nick, you're one of the most openly honest people I know, and I value your judgment. I was just wondering if maybe I'm trying to see things that just aren't there.”

“If she isn't talking, how can you tell anything?”

“Just look in her eyes, Nick. I think you'll see.”

The lift carried them to the lower deck; with a purposeful stride, Aleta led the way to the imprisonment cell. She showed the guard outside her ident pass, and he stepped aside. He didn't question the tall young man beside her.

Nick felt awkward and more than a little apprehensive. What if this alien was the one who did all those terrible things to Kevin? What if she was waiting for the slightest chance to spring free and kill them all? What if-

“Come on,” Aleta said gently, “it's okay.”

He stepped close to the bars and looked in.

The small figure was pressed against the corner, knees drawn up and arms wrapped around them. Her head was bowed, obscuring her features. She was as still as a statue.

“Hey there,” Aleta said, quietly addressing the prisoner. “I'm going to come in, to check out those bandages. Okay?”

No response.

Aleta keyed the lock and cautiously entered. She motioned Nick to follow her. After a second's hesitation, he did so.

The doctor knelt by the woman, making sure her movements were deliberate and measured.

“How are you doing?” she asked.

The prisoner raised her head slowly, her eyes locking with the healer's.

Aleta gasped; Nick automatically took a step backwards in reaction to the sound.

“What happened?” Aleta exclaimed. No reply came, and she moved forward cautiously. “This wasn't here before,” she said, half to herself. Carefully she reached her hand towards an ugly bruise on the woman's left cheek.

“This is new,” the healer declared, a tinge of anger in her voice.

“Maybe she fell?” Nick asked, daring to ease closer.

The prisoner's glance flickered to his tall form, her eyes widening slightly.

“Nick,” Aleta said evenly, “I think you're scaring her. Kneel down.”

He did as requested, making sure he gave the woman plenty of space.

“No, she didn't fall,” Aleta continued. “This is a handprint. See, there? Fingermarks.”

Nick frowned. “But who-”

“The list should be fairly short,” Aleta said. “We'll see about that later.” She placed a gentle hand under the woman's chin, tipping her face upwards just slightly. “I'm sorry this happened,” she said. “Someone will answer for this, I promise.”

Gray eyes met hazel; it was Aleta that looked away first. She opened her bag. “I want to change your bandages and check your injuries,” she said. “Is that okay?”

A blank, gray stare was her only answer.

Cautiously, the healer touched the woman's injured arm, and, meeting no resistance, began unwrapping the dressing.

“Do you think she understands any of what we're saying?” Nick asked in a soft voice.

“I doubt it,” Aleta said. “I think it's more tone than anything. Why don't you talk to her while I work? It might distract her, put her at ease.”

“Um... what do I say?”

“I don't think it matters much.”

“Okay,” he said uncertainly. “Well, ah... you know, I never really met one of you. An alien, I mean. I always imagined the Enemy would look, I don't know, kind of ugly. You know, kind of reflect the way they treat other species and all. But you sure don't fit that picture,” he said.

Silvery gray eyes met his gaze, and he stopped speaking for a moment. He'd never seen eyes like those... he sensed intelligence, wariness, curiosity, and despair all at once. Her features were delicate and refined; still, there was a hardness, a determination, that was almost tangible. He imagined she might be quite attractive in other, cleaner, circumstances.

“Nick,” Aleta prompted.

“Yeah, sorry,” he said, flushing a bit. “Um... well, like I said, you sure don't fit the picture I had in my mind about what an alien would be. You could pass for anyone back home, except for your eyes, I mean. Never saw that color before. Strange, but pretty.” He shook his head. “Never mind I said that. This is just weird, talking to someone that probably doesn't understand anything I'm saying.” A small grin appeared on his lips. “I used to have a reputation for that... saying things no one else understood. They made sense to me, but for some reason it would confuse the guys. Brian... he's my best friend, even though he's Captain now... used to tease me terribly. Just like AJ. Howie, he used to just laugh, and Kevin... I guess I confounded him totally. He'd just shake his head and mutter something under his breath.”

The woman blinked, a flicker of a wince crossing her face.

“Sorry,” Aleta apologized, “I know that hurts. I didn't mean to do that.”

Gray eyes went back to Nick.

“Do you have a name?” he asked, then shook his head. “Of course you have a name, everyone has a name. That was a stupid question. Can you tell me what your name is?” He waited, but was answered with silence. “Right,” he said. “Well, my name is Nick. Nick Carter. I've known Aleta here for, well, I guess it's been three years now. We used to work together.”

The healer made a slight hissing sound, drawing Nick's attention. “What?” he asked.

“Her uniform,” Aleta said darkly. “It wasn't ripped before.” She indicated a tear that went from neckline to shoulder.

Nick went slightly pale. He didn't need a map and a guidebook. “But she's-”

“I need to examine her further to see how far this assault went,” she said. She schooled her voice and said, “Will you let me check you out? I want to know if you've been hurt any more-”

The moment Aleta's hand touched the alien's shoulder, it was caught in a vise-like grip. The pressure didn't increase; the woman simply held the hand steady, not allowing it to move.

“Okay,” Aleta said after a moment. “Maybe later.”

The grip eased, and gray eyes watched carefully. Aleta sat back with a sigh.

“This is wrong,” Nick declared.

“More than just wrong,” Aleta said. “It's an abomination.”

“What can we do?”

“After I'm done here, I'm going to have a little chat with the Captain. Then I'm going to find the security recordings and see if I can find out what happened that way.”

“Is it safe to leave her alone?” he asked. “I mean... whoever did this, he's got to have access. What's to stop him from coming back?”

Aleta chewed her lip. “I know you were going to turn in early, but do you think you could watch over her for about an hour?”

“Me?” he asked, startled.

“I trust you,” she said. “I know you. I can't say the same for that many people on the rest of the ship.”

“But... if anyone comes in, they'll know I don't belong here. I'll get in trouble, along with you, and I don't want to jeopardize your position, your career.”

“Here,” she said, withdrawing something from her breast pocket. “You're officially deemed a Medical Attendant third class.” She handed him a small ident tag. “I have the power to do that, you know. And now, you are acting under my orders. As far as my career... I'm a healer, a doctor. Once this ship gets back home, I'm out of the military for good. I've already composed my resignation.”

“If you're sure...”

“No one should be treated this way,” Aleta said, indicating the woman in the corner. “No one.”

“I agree,” he said. “Yes, I can stay. However long you need me to.”

She reached over and hugged the younger man. “Thanks, Nick. I owe you big time. If you're worried, just wait outside the cell. I'll be back as soon as I can.”

“Do what you have to,” he said.

Aleta turned back to the woman, who had been watching the couple closely. “I'm going away for a bit, but I'll be back. Nick will be here to watch over you, to protect you. You can trust him.”

She stood, took her medical kit, and stepped outside the cell. Without any more words, she left, locking the chamber door behind her.

Nick turned back to the alien and sat down, getting more comfortable. She didn't seem to mind; at least, it looked that way. He scooted back until he was pressed against the front bars, giving her the maximum amount of space in the cell.

“She's right, you know,” he said at last. “I'm here to protect you. It seems to me that you've been through enough as it is.” He paused. “Even if you did... I mean, if you had a part in what happened to Kevin... you deserve better treatment.” He shook his head slowly. “I have three sisters, you know. I keep thinking about them, wondering if they're okay and all. I suppose you have family somewhere... maybe they're wondering and worrying about you, too.”

He leaned back. “Back home, my family lives on this great coastal bay. We have an autofarm for fish... we raise them in the ocean, and make sure the harvest is replenished each time. The beach is great... I love the ocean. My brother Aaron and I... he's younger by three years... we go windriding and surfing whenever we aren't working. At least, we did. That was before the war. My folks were mad when I enlisted, but they didn't have a choice. They get government support for the farm... it's considered a vital industry... so they can't make too much of a fuss. I guess Aaron is still at home, we don't get much mail on duty. I bet he's grown a lot since I saw him last, four years ago. I hope they're all okay.”

The woman seemed to relax, just a little, her eyes studying his face as he talked. He continued.

“Now that the war is over, I really don't know what everyone's going to do. I don't think I could go back to my family life like before... I'd go stir crazy. I suppose I could go on to advanced education, but right now it just seems so... boring. I guess I'll have to wait and see what the guys decide. Cause, to tell you the truth, if there's any way to stay connected with them, I'd do whatever it takes. In a lot of ways, they're closer than my real family... my blood family. I remember once, when we were doing supply transfers to the fleet...”

~*~

She hadn't been able to enter Sleep; her newest injuries had generated too much pain to allow her to concentrate properly. Even if she were able to block it out, the risk of sustained unconsciousness was too great. She could not become any more vulnerable than she already was. The man with the hateful light in his eyes had easily overwhelmed her earlier; eventually, she would have no choice, but for now she wanted to remain aware.

She tensed when she heard a noise in the outer chamber, then settled into a still pose. The element of surprise was one of the few advantages she had.

There were voices, one familiar. The Healer had returned, but another man was at her side. There was no malice in the woman's voice, and she raised her head. The Healer seemed to have no knowledge of the earlier events; her gasp of surprise was sincere when she saw the mark. The man who now stood in the cell towered high; despite herself, she felt a flush of apprehension. But the Healer said soothing words, and the man knelt. He seemed to be wary.

She allowed the Healer's touch; without Sleep, she needed their primitive ways. Then the man began speaking, his words soft and rambling. She could almost hear the music in his voice. Among his flowing speech, she heard one word that captured her attention fully: he spoke of K'vn. Could K'vn be alive? Was he in this terrible place? If this was his people's place, they might be able to help him. Hope suddenly grew.

The Healer finally noticed the torn cloth; anger colored her words. A touch was halted; no more could she stand. The woman and the man spoke rapidly; the Healer left, while the man remained.

She couldn't help the worry; this man was almost as tall as K'vn, and could easily overwhelm her. But instead of coming closer, he sat farthest away and began speaking in rhythmical patterns.

His eyes were fascinating. They were such an unusual color, so much like the k'artith stones drawn from deep underground. His hair was as amazing; she had never seen such brightness. It seemed to glow with light. Against all reason, she felt the urge to touch the strands, wondering about their texture.

She allowed his voice to wrap around her like a blanket; other than the Healer, his words were the only gentle ones she'd heard. Of course, she could not completely trust him; too much was unknown. Once again, she wondered where K'vn was.  

Three by Louise

 

Brian leaned closer to the bed as the hand in his made a feeble grip. Almost forgetting to breathe, he watched as emerald eyes slowly opened.

Several blinks; the gaze was unfocused at first.

Brian squeezed the hand and said, “Hey, Kevin, wake up now.”

A deep breath was drawn. Another series of blinks, then, finally, clarity.

“Br...”

“Here, take a sip,” Brian said, holding up a water tube. The man seemed to understand, taking a cautious mouthful.

“Brian,” came the raspy but welcome word.

“Hey there, it's about time.” He smiled. “Give yourself a minute.”

Kevin blinked up at the overhead lights. “Where?”

“You're aboard the Sealk. We're headed for home.”

“Home?” he said, as if the word had no meaning.

“The war is over, and you're safe now. The doc will be coming soon, we've been waiting for you to wake up for a while.”

“We? Who, we?”

“Me, Howie, AJ and Nick. And Aleta's here, too.”

“Oh.” A deep breath. “Okay.”

The eyes drifted shut.

Brian turned to the medtech who had just arrived. “Contact Dr. Simpson, he's finally coherent,” he ordered.

“Yes, sir,” the tech said, thumbing a small communicator device. He then checked over the readouts, made notes on the chart, and did a cursory physical assessment.

By the time the man was finished, Brian heard Aleta's voice in the outer room. A minute later, she came into view.

“So tell me,” she said, moving to Kevin's side as she studied the chart.

“He recognized me, asked where he was and what had happened. Seemed to understand what I was saying.”

“Focused?”

“Mostly,” Brian said.

“Yes,” she said, turning to check Kevin's vitals. “Much better. He seems to be sleeping. What say we wake him up for a bit.” She called his name, shaking his shoulder. After two tries, Kevin's eyes stayed open.

“Hey 'leta,” he said, a slight smile curving his lips.

“Hey yourself,” she said. “Fancy meeting you here.”

“Feel awful,” he complained.

“You look awful,” she said with a smile. “But you're on the mend. Now that you're awake, we can make sure you get the amount of pain meds you need.” She looked at the IV, then pressed a sequence of buttons. Seconds later, Kevin's face relaxed. “Better?”

“Thanks,” he said, nodding. “How... how am I here?”

“We were hoping you could tell us the tale,” she said.

“Mmm,” he said, trying to concentrate. “Confusing.”

“No doubt,” Aleta said, pulling up the covers and adjusting the blanket. “The thing that matters right now is you are here, safe and sound, and healing properly. The rest can wait.”

“Get some sleep, Kev,” Brian said. “We'll be right here when you wake.”

“Good,” came the faint reply. Then, he drifted away.

“He should be able to get some solid, normal rest now,” Aleta explained. “With the pain under tighter control, he can sleep as much as his body needs.”

“Which might be a lot.”

“Yeah,” she answered. “You four still going to keep up the watches?”

“I think so. I'd just feel better if one of us was here. Not that I don't trust the care...”

“I understand.”

“And I know the guys don't mind. Howie catches up on his reading, AJ has the female staff's full attention down here...”

“So I noticed,” she said with an eye-roll. “Always the charmer, isn't he?”

“Always,” Brian grinned. “And Nick finally has a chance to sketch without looking over his shoulder, afraid of getting yelled at for goofing off.”

“Ah, speaking of Nick,” she said, shifting her stance, “have you talked with him lately?”

“I've been here since AJ left... so no, not since before the party. Why? Is he in trouble?”

“Just the opposite,” she said. “He did me a huge favor a little while ago.” Her smiled dimmed. “An unfortunately necessary one.”

Brian frowned. “Which was?”

“Something I'd rather discuss over coffee,” she said. “If you have the time.”

“Howie's due in about 20 minutes,” Brian said. “How about I buy and you tell?”

“Deal,” she said.

~*~

Nick couldn't sleep. Even though he knew he'd be up for watch in six hours, his mind was racing. Sighing, he got out of his bunk and activated the lights.

He crossed the tiny room and sat at the makeshift desk where his sketchbook was waiting. He flipped open the volume and studied the drawings he'd begun.

There was one of Aleta, nearly finished. He'd need his color supplies to complete it fully, but the initial sketchwork was done. He'd captured her smile, the light in her eyes, even the small scar on her chin. She'd never tried to hide it, and Nick secretly thought it made her even more beautiful. He remembered when she'd gotten it; she'd been determined to finish the supply run, refusing to back down even under enemy fire. There were many wounded who needed the supplies they'd carried... a delay would have cost lives. She'd been a bit too close to a building when it was blown from above, and had nearly been knocked out by the force. But she'd gotten to her feet, and kept going; it had been almost two hours before she had her injury tended to. Thus, the scar.

Of course, with corrective surgery methods, the scar could be utterly erased, but she'd refused. Rather than see it as a flaw, she saw it as a mark of determination and a source of pride. It made her even more of a hero in Nick's eyes.

The next few images were initial studies, all of the alien. Nick gave a critical look at them; they were rough, and definitely incomplete. But he had managed to capture her most stunning feature: her enigmatic eyes. While she'd kept her expressions carefully neutral, the light in her eyes had told another story. Somehow, even though a word hadn't been exchanged, Nick knew she was not the kind of person who could so brutally torture a man like Kevin. Although Nick saw distance in her silver-gray orbs, there was a definite lack of coldness. Wariness, yes, but not hatred or fury or rage. Whoever had damaged his oldest brother, it hadn't been her.

Near the end of his time with her, she had closed her eyes, locking away the only window to her secrets. She became totally still, her breathing slow and barely detectable. Although he tried to get her attention, she didn't stir. He was loathe to touch her, and decided to simply let her rest... or whatever it was she was doing.

Because the strange silence disturbed him, he began softly singing a tune... a lullaby... he'd often sung to his sisters when they'd been afraid from some childish nightmare. He had no idea if she was able to hear him, but the familiar, comforting act made him feel better.

Aleta had arrived a while later to retrieve him. Although things hadn't gone well with the Captain, she'd managed to get new guards assigned to watch the prisoner. They left the alien alone to rest.

Now, Nick picked up his pencil and resumed his work. He'd have to see her again, of course; he hadn't memorized all the details of her features in just one visit. As he sketched, he wondered what her name was.

~*~

Brian leaned back and swallowed a mouthful of coffee. “Well, that sounds like Miles,” he muttered. “It would hurt his image if he appeared 'soft' on the hated Enemy.”

“But that's just it,” Aleta said. “The prisoner hasn't been proven to be anything except not human. And even if she is the Enemy, she deserves to have the most basic rights.”

“And the security data? What did it show?”

Aleta grimaced. “Nothing. Utterly blank. The tech on duty couldn't explain it; there was no evidence of malfunction in the recording equipment.”

“Someone tampered with the recordings,” Brian said flatly.

“Yes, it's the only explanation. Now we'll probably never know who attacked her. She's given no sign she understands a word of our language, so we're at a dead end.”

“At least you convinced Miles to reassign the guards. Hopefully these guys can be trusted.”

“I know each one of them personally,” she said. “It was the best I could do.”

“You know,” he said, setting his cup down, “once we get back home, they're going to take her away somewhere for interrogation. And I doubt she'll ever be released.”

Aleta clenched her jaw. “I know. And there's nothing I can do about that. But at least for now, I can try to make sure she's treated fairly.”

“So... what are you going to do once we get home?”

“I haven't spent too much time on that one yet,” she said. “I'm sure going to leave the military far behind. I've got my certification now, and I imagine there will be a ton of work for doctors for a while.”

“Unfortunately I agree. I've been pondering my own plans... working with kids again would be a radical change. Not sure I could handle it right away.”

“This war is going to take a while to shake off,” she agreed. “More for some than others.”

“Yeah,” Brian said lowly. “I'm wondering what Kevin will have to work through.”

“I can't imagine,” she said, giving a slight shudder.

“Without any family left back home, he'll need his friends more than ever,” he said. “I plan on being by his side however long it takes.”

“I'm glad you'll be there,” Aleta said. “You're right. He'll need support, and lots of it.”

~*~

She withdrew from half-Sleep with difficulty; her body needed more chance to heal, but she couldn't allow it yet. It would have to be enough for now.

She was, thankfully, alone in her cell. The light-haired man had been talking when the Sleep overtook her; she vaguely recalled a melody, a song... it had been his voice that had caught her last awareness. But why? For what purpose, the song?

She was sure he was one of K'vn's people. His words, most of which she had never heard before, had the same rhythm and flow, the same rise and fall as K'vn's. She had yearned to ask the question burning in her heart; could K'vn truly have survived the terrible journey? His damage had been great even before the escape.

She imagined the Great Ship had been destroyed. The wailing noises had increased, and she'd caught enough exchanges to know that They were preparing for the end. Her only regret was she hadn't witnessed it herself.

A part of her had wanted to stay with the Great Ship, to finally put an end to her deepest pain. But K'vn needed her hands and her eyes; she could not abandon him in the end. Now, here she was, imprisoned. The only difference was K'vn was not beside her.

Sorrow threatened to overwhelm her, but she roughly pushed it aside. She refused to display such weakness to unseen Eyes. Instead, she let her face become a blank mask. But behind her closed eyes, in the darkness of her mind, she wept.

~*~

Howie did a double take at the doorway and instantly put down his book. He stood just as Captain Miles strode into the room.

“Lt. Dorough, on babysitting duty, I see.”

Howie saluted, trying to keep the frown from his face. “It's my shift to watch Captain Richardson, yes, sir.”

“Like I said, babysitting. Has he been awake any?”

“He's drifted awake briefly three times, but went right back to sleep. The doc said it was normal and that the rest was helping him greatly.”

“Good,” Miles said. “I'm sure he'll be up on his feet by the time we reach home. He'll get a proper war hero welcome.”

“Captain Richardson doesn't much care for ceremony,” Howie said.

“A foolish philosophy,” Miles declared. “It never hurts to get as much positive publicity as one can. That's how generals and admirals are made.”

“If you say so, sir.”

“Richardson,” Miles called loudly, grabbing Kevin's arm. “Wake up, man. We have things to discuss. Richardson!”

Kevin came awake with a gasp, eyes darting around in alarm.

“Steady there, Richardson. It's Jeremy Miles. Gather yourself.”

Kevin blinked rapidly, then relaxed back into his pillows as he realized where he was.

“Miles,” he said, trying to calm his runaway heart.

“Indeed. Now that you're in the land of the conscious, I came to officially welcome you back.”

“Thanks,” Kevin said flatly.

“Has anyone told you of your rescue?”

“No... I've been asleep...”

“Well, I can appreciate you need your rest. So, just the basics.” Miles sat down in Howie's recently vacated chair, ignoring the younger man who was now hovering. “Really, it was an amazing bit of coordination. The Sealk had the O'mosk cornered, and was about to deal the final blow, when that pod you were in ejected. Of course, the Parrin, who was out of harm's way, tried to catch a towline to the pod, but it proved to much for their delicate little flitter. At least Captain Littrell had enough sense to request our intervention. So, once the O'mosk blew, we retrieved the pod and brought it in to safety. You, Richardson, have the distinction of being the only surviving prisoner to ever escape the Enemy!”

Howie watched as Kevin's face blanched of all color. It was as if someone had slapped him out of the blue. Miles, however, never noticed the change.

“It took a while to open the pod, but my crew came through once again. I'm amazed you survived. With the injuries you came aboard with, I wouldn't have placed much money on your recovery.” Miles grinned. “But then again, with the facilities the Sealk has to offer, and my highly competent crew, you pulled through.”

“Kevin,” Howie interjected, “are you okay?”

“No one else made it?” he whispered.

Miles answered. “Only one escape pod was detected, and you were the only prisoner. I'd say that was pretty lucky.”

He swallowed hard. “It... wasn't luck,” he breathed, then closed his eyes.

Howie, alarmed at the pain on his friend's face, said, “Perhaps, Captain, we should let Kevin get his rest.”

“That's Captain Richardson to you, Lieutenant,” Miles said pointedly. “Littrell might run a sloppy ship, but here I expect protocol to be followed properly.”

“Yes, sir, sorry sir.”

“Very well, Richardson, you get your rest. I have many other duties to tend to.” He stood, giving a critical look at Howie before leaving Sickbay.

The minute the coast was clear, Howie moved to Kevin's side. “What's wrong?” he asked.

“I can't... I can't talk about it now,” Kevin said in a strained voice. “I just... give me some time.”

“Sure,” Howie said, his concern growing even larger. “Whatever you need. But remember I'm right here, okay?”

“Thanks,” Kevin managed. His eyes remained shut.

Howie wondered how familiar the scene would be in the coming days.

~*~

 

Kevin passed into a fitful sleep, his dreams a frantic melange of memory and terror too fresh to have dimmed. He awakened feeling drained and defeated.

He watched his present visitor for a while. Nick was unaware he'd awakened; the young man was busily drawing in his ever-present sketchbook. The familiarity of the act did much to soothe his nerves; it was something he never thought he'd see again.

“What are you drawing, Nicky?” he said. Nick jumped in reaction, causing a slight smile to surface.

“K-kevin,” Nick said, retrieving his pencil. “You're awake.”

“I am.”

Nick gave him a sheepish smile. “That was kind of dumb for me to say.”

“I caught you off-guard,” Kevin said. “My fault.”

“How are you feeling?” the blond asked.

“I'll be fine.”

Nick raised an eyebrow. “That's not what I asked.”

“Hand hurts, some,” Kevin said. “Everything else... livable.” He took a deep breath. “Help me sit up.”

“I don't think you're supposed to-”

“Please.”

Nick hesitated for a second, then sighed. “Okay, but if Aleta finds out, it'll be because I was obeying orders.”

“I can handle Aleta,” Kevin said.

“I bet Howie would fight you for that privilege.”

The remark was so unexpected, Kevin couldn't stop a short laugh from escaping.

“What?” Nick said. “It's the truth!”

“I missed you, Nicky,” Kevin said. “So very much.”

Blushing, Nick moved to Kevin's side. “Don't call me Nicky. That's a kid's name.”

“You are a kid,” came the reply.

“You sure you want to do this?” Nick asked.

“Yes.” Kevin braced himself, and grabbed on to Nick's outstretched arm. It took far more effort than it should have, but finally he was able to swing his legs over the side of the bed.

“Whoa,” Nick said as Kevin swayed a bit. “Hang on.”

“I'm okay,” he said a few seconds later. “Just need to get my bearings.”

Carefully, Nick released his grip. “How's it feel?”

“Good,” Kevin said. “Better.”

“Howie told me Miles was in here earlier,” Nick said. “Bet that was a real thrill.”

“He was here.”

“Howie also said that things seemed to hit you kinda hard.”

Kevin frowned, then stared at the floor. “Howie talks too much.”

“He's our Comm officer,” Nick said. “He's supposed to talk. And besides, I mean... we're in this together, right? Kinda like family.”

Kevin was silent for several heartbeats. “You're right... we are family. It's just... it's going to take some time for me. It's a lot to deal with, to come to terms with.”

“I wish I could help,” the younger man said sincerely.

Kevin looked up into concerned, earnest blue eyes. He inhaled, smiled just a fraction, and reached up to tousle Nick's blond hair. “You are helping, Chaos.”

Nick's face lightened up with a smile. “You haven't called me Chaos for a while.”

“I think the name will always suit you.” He tentatively stretched, assessing his mobility. “So what were you drawing?”

“Oh, just some random stuff, you know.”

“I'd like to see.”

“They're not finished-”

“It doesn't matter.”

“Well, okay,” Nick said, picking up the book. He sat on the edge of the bed and opened the volume. “This book is pretty new. See, this is the stuff I was doing about a week ago.”

“You've been improving,” Kevin said, noting the sophistication of the lines. “Even the still-lifes are great.”

“Well, I had to practice on inanimate objects after AJ threatened me one day, just because I was trying to sketch him.”

“You were bothering him on duty, weren't you?”

“No! I... well, yeah,” Nick said, ducking his head. “You know how boring it gets on a run.”

Kevin nodded. “What's next?”

Nick flipped the page. “Some more of the same... oh, I caught Brian one morning, he was just kind of zoned out, thinking. Didn't even notice I was there until I had the basics down.”

“He looks kind of sad, sort of contemplative.”

“He looked that way a lot since you-” Nick stopped, flushing. “Never mind.”

“Since I became a prisoner,” Kevin finished. “Don't be afraid to say it. It's what happened, and something I have to deal with.”

“Something we have to deal with.”

“Show me the rest.”

Nick turned back to the book. “Okay, now here's some of Aleta. I'm almost done the main portrait, see? Of course, she's a lot prettier in real life...”

“You captured her essence perfectly,” Kevin said, running a finger along the edge of the drawn lines. “This is amazing.”

“Thanks,” Nick said, feeling a wash of pride. He turned the page, eager to see what Kevin thought of the next sketches. “Now these aren't nearly done, I need to go visit her again, but so far-”

Kevin's emerald eyes widened as he recognized the woman in the sketch. He blinked numbly as the blood drained from his face.

Nick stopped in alarm, realizing he'd made a huge mistake. “Oh man, Kev, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have-”

“Where... how did you...”

“I'm sorry-” he said in a rush, drawing the book away. Before he could shut it, Kevin's hand stopped him.

“Nick,” he said in a barely controlled voice, “how did you make these sketches?”

“How? Well, Aleta took me to the cell, and wanted me to spend some time with her. I had plenty of time to-”

“Wait. Wait.” Kevin took a deep, steadying breath. “The cell?”

“The cell where the alien is kept. She's a prisoner, but Aleta thinks-”

“She's alive?”

It was Nick's turn to be confused. “Yeah, she's alive. Miles ordered her to be kept under guard, being the Enemy and all-”

Kevin's iron grip on his arm was intense, nearly painful. “Explain this to me from the beginning.”

Nick nodded, not daring to ask what was going on. In a careful voice, he said, “We had been trailing the Sealk, chasing after the Enemy ship O'mosk. I was on duty when I caught what I swore was an ident code signal. Howie kept looking for it, and we found it again. It was coming from the O'mosk.” He paused, waiting.

“Yes, okay. Go on.”

“The O'mosk was cornered, and Miles gave the surrender speech. Brian asked him to hold off on the second call because your ident had been verified. AJ went out on the flitter to get a more exact location, and that's when the pod was launched.”

“The escape pod.”

“Right. Then AJ caught the signal coming from the pod itself, and tried to catch it with a tow. But the O'mosk was about to blow, and he couldn't make it to safety with the extra load. So he had to release it.” Nick waited until Kevin gave a curt nod. “Okay, so he got clear, and Brian asked Miles to retrieve the pod. Which he did. When they got it open, eventually, they found the two of you inside.”

Kevin closed his eyes, trying to keep his thoughts steady.

Nick continued. “You were both banged up pretty good, and they took you to Sickbay. Once the alien's worst wounds were treated, she was shuffled off to a prison cell.”

“She's locked up in a cell, right now?”

“Sure, her being the Enemy and all, they thought-”

She's not the Enemy,” Kevin grated, his good fist clenched in emotion.

“Sorry, Kev, I didn't mean to... she hasn't said anything, so there was no way we could know.”

Of course she didn't say anything! “I want to see her, now.”

“You're not supposed to even be sitting up-”

Now,” Kevin said, eyes blazing. “Get Aleta if you have to, but I have to go there. Now.”

“Okay, okay,” Nick said, standing. “Don't go anywhere, all right? Let me get her.”

The younger man ran off into the other room. Kevin trembled in reaction to his overwhelming emotions. Dizzying memories surfaced: pain, confusion, running down a corridor... feeling the impact of the wall as he was slammed against it... light, metal, sounds...

Go! Go!

Running feet, the stale taste of terror in his mouth...

Gray eyes beseeching...

Run!

No time, only one chance...

Agony as something hits his arm...

A pulling, an urging...

The dark, close confines of the pod...

Can't breathe, can't see...

A wild spinning, tumbling, crashing against the wall...

Dim lights, a rapid tapping... it's code, his code...

Another sickening sensation of spinning, falling...

Darkness, no longer terrifying...

Peace in the dark. Peace, no pain...

Something jammed in his mouth, something hard-

But the dark is stronger, safer.

Retreat. Retreat...

Kevin gasped as a hand gripped his arm. He looked up to see Aleta's alarmed expression.

“Kevin!” she exclaimed.

“Please, take me to her,” he said raggedly. “Oh god... please, Aleta, I have to see her!”

Doubt flickered behind hazel eyes for a moment. “You shouldn't be sitting, much less-” Aleta stopped, frozen by the look of complete desperation on Kevin's face. When she realized that his eyes were rimmed with wetness, she knew she couldn't deny him.

“All right,” she said. “If it's that important to you. But you're going down on a float chair.”

“I don't care,” he said hoarsely.

While Aleta and an assistant got Kevin ready to go, Nick called Brian on his wristcom. By the time Kevin and Nick left Sickbay, the other three members of the Parrin crew were on their way to the prison cell.

~*~

Kevin's grip on the armrest was white-knuckled as the initial wave of adrenaline faded. His stomach rolled with nausea, and his vision played light-tricks on him. His thoughts, however, were focused on another matter entirely.

The guard in front of the prison chamber looked at the trio doubtfully; Aleta flashed her ident and spoke in a voice that brooked no delay. Obediently, he opened the door. Just before they entered, however, voices were heard down the hall... Brian, AJ and Howie were practically running to greet them. Questions were put on hold when the others got a look at Kevin's face; with a glance from Aleta, they fell silent. With Kevin in the forefront, the group went in.

The second the float chair came to a halt, Kevin got shakily to his feet. He stood, his gaze locked on the solitary figure huddled in the corner. After several tries, he found his voice.

“V-vosh?”

The woman lifted her head at the sound, her silver-gray eyes widening. A split second later, she was standing, a look of astonishment on her face.

Vosh,” Kevin cried, stepping up to the bars.

The prisoner hesitated for a heartbeat, then a look of utter, total relief came over her face. It was the first true emotion any of them had seen since she'd been brought aboard.

K'vn,” she rasped. Her hand fluttered in front of her.

“Yes, it's really me,” Kevin answered, his face transforming. “You... we're alive, we're free...”

A curt gesture; he turned to Aleta.

“Open the cell.”

The doctor didn't hesitate. A second later, Kevin limped inside and was instantly embraced by the alien. They didn't communicate; they simply clung together tightly. No one spoke for nearly half a minute.

“Well it looks like Miles got the whole thing wrong,” Brian said.

“I take it she's not the Enemy?” Aleta asked.

Kevin pulled back but didn't release his grip. “She's the only reason I'm alive,” he said, voice heavy with emotion. “I owe her everything.”

~*~

 

Four by Louise

 

Brian thumbed his communicator and tried to contact Miles, but was told the Captain was unavailable. He left a message to return the call ASAP, saying that a key event had occurred.

He studied the alien as she interacted with Kevin; this was the so-called Enemy that Miles had so quickly imprisoned? He wondered if the man had any common sense at all. There was procedure and protocol, but instinct should have played a larger part. Physically, she just reached Kevin's shoulder height; her bone structure was fine, almost delicate. Her hair was raggedly cut, and not in a fashion sort of way; her uniform fit so loosely that he was sure it wasn't originally hers. How had Miles mistaken her for someone who was a danger to ship and crew?

He watched as the alien drew back from Kevin and looked around uncertainly. She made a few signs in the air, and waited until he nodded.

“We need some space,” Kevin explained, turning to his crew and Aleta. “It's a little overwhelming at the moment.”

“We can give you some privacy, sure,” Brian said. “We can wait in the hall for-”

“Better idea,” Aleta interrupted. “How about we all take a trip back to Sickbay, ah... Vosh?... included.”

“Actually, it's V'sh,” Kevin said. “But... it always seemed easier to say Vosh. And yeah, I think the sooner we leave this cell, the better.”

“Can you remove a prisoner from the cell just like that?” Howie asked, looking towards Aleta.

“I can, and I will. She's been unjustly imprisoned, we now have first-hand proof. Kevin needs to lie back down, despite what he's getting ready to say,” she said, shooting a glare at Kevin. “And I never was able to do a more thorough exam of Vosh. Sickbay is the logical destination.”

Kevin nodded in reluctant agreement and, good hand still clasping Vosh's, moved to the cell door. He sat down carefully in the float chair, fatigue suddenly evident on his face.

The alien cast a quick glance around, still wary. When her eyes met Nick's, he gave her a smile. She stared at him for a moment, then focused back on Kevin. A few quick gestures.

“Yes, they're all friends. My crew,” he said. “They won't hurt you. I trust them.”

She nodded, then looked at Kevin expectantly.

“Let's go,” he said.

With that, the group left the prison cell behind.

~*~

With Aleta, Kevin and the alien in the lead, the others trailed behind. The trip was made in relative silence, everyone lost in thought.

AJ had been woken from a sound sleep by the call not fifteen minutes earlier. Although he'd been trained to go from sleep to alert mode in a matter of seconds, he found his thoughts rather chaotic at the moment. He hadn't even seen Kevin conscious until they all arrived at the prison cell; to find his friend and comrade awake, alert, and thinking clearly had been a huge relief. He'd had no desire to see the alien; he'd bought into Mile's reasoning hook, line and sinker. At that thought, he scowled. The man should have better judgment. He was responsible for hundreds of men and women under his command... how had he gotten into such a position?

Clearly the small alien imposed little or no physical threat to anyone; he could see the ugly bruises and multiple cuts that marked her exposed skin. The handmark on her face made him angry. He'd seen enough of those kinds of bruises to know exactly what had happened.

The connection between Kevin and the alien... no, Vosh... had been evident. He wondered just how deeply it went; for sure, there was no hatred or animosity there. He got the impression that the story would be a long and complex one.

He glanced over at Howie, gaging his friend's reaction to all of it. He was, predictably, focused solely on Aleta. AJ gave a slight smile; his shy shipmate had it bad, no doubt. He'd have to pull his closest friend aside and get the true scoop. And if a little matchmaking needed doing, he'd be right there.

AJ shifted his focus to Brian and Nick, who were talking in low tones. Although he couldn't catch the words, Nick was gesturing as he spoke. It wasn't hard to guess the subject was Kevin. He imagined they'd all have a lot to talk about on that very topic, and soon.

The group reached Sickbay and Aleta asked the crew of the Parrin to wait in the outer room while she and a few medtechs got the other two settled. Kevin's ineffective protests started the moment he was transferred to his bed, but she ignored them. When he asked to sit up a bit, though, she complied. She knew he needed to keep Vosh in clear view.

Once Kevin was settled in, and his pain medications applied, she turned to Vosh. When Aleta indicated that she wanted to tend to her wounds, however, Vosh shook her head. The petite woman stepped over to Kevin's side, her face stubbornly set.

“Vosh,” she said in her friendliest voice, “I really do need to check you out. At the very least, we can get you new clothes and give you a chance to clean up a bit.”

The woman listened to the words, then turned to Kevin. She made a series of gestures.

Kevin shook his head, and said, “No, I'm fine. It's your turn.”

Another gesture.

“Vosh...”

She pointed to his bandaged hand defiantly, then made several rapid motions.

Kevin sighed. “I know, but Aleta's already begun fixing it.” At Vosh's obvious look of disapproval, he said, “You can't, anyway. Not now. Let Aleta look at you.” Then he made a few awkward signs with his left hand and touched her shoulder. At that, her expression shifted.

“Yes?” he asked.

Reluctantly she nodded.

“Good,” he said, easing back into his pillow. “It'll be okay.” He turned to Aleta. “A definite yes on the new clothes and the clean-up. Go slow, and she'll probably let you examine her afterwards.”

“You understand each other pretty well,” she said.

“We had a lot of time to practice,” he answered.

Aleta let her multitude of questions rest; time for details later. She led Vosh away to a private area, taking things slowly as Kevin had suggested.

“Hey, guys,” Kevin called once Aleta was gone, “come on in.”

He smiled as his four friends joined him. It had been far too long since he had seen them... a lifetime.

“Well, you're just one surprise after another,” Brian joked.

“I'm surprised I'm even alive,” the oldest confessed. “This has all been like a dream to me.”

“A nightmare, maybe,” AJ said.

“Some of it, yeah,” Kevin said. “But this is a good part. A very good part.”

“It's good to see you, Kev,” Howie said sincerely. The others nodded in agreement.

“Bring me up to date,” he asked. “How goes the war?”

Brian raised an eyebrow. “Don't you remember, I told you that the war is over. The O'mosk was the last battleship the Enemy had in our system.”

“I don't recall that,” Kevin said with a scowl.

“Well, it's true,” Nick said. “And we're headed back now. We're about eleven days from home.”

Kevin stared at the ceiling. After a long pause, he said, “Thank God.”

The others echoed the sentiment.

Kevin's fatigue was obvious to his friends, so the subjects of conversation were kept light. Time enough later for the more serious issues.

About ten minutes later, they heard a rather frustrated exclamation from beyond the privacy screen. Kevin, who had nearly drifted off to sleep, became instantly alert.

Aleta appeared, calling for a medtech. Kevin frowned; he would have automatically bolted off the bed save for Brian's steadying hand preventing him.

“What's wrong?” he demanded.

“She passed out... or something,” Aleta said. “I say something because one second she was sitting there on the bench, the next she's lying prone and not responding whatsoever.”

“Oh,” the older man said, relaxing. “She's probably Sleeping.”

“People just don't drop off to sleep like that,” Aleta said. “She's deeply unconscious-”

“She's Sleeping,” Kevin affirmed. “It's the way she heals. For her, it's natural.”

“But she-”

“Isn't quite human, remember. Trust me, I was as alarmed as you are the first time it happened, but I eventually figured it out. She'll wake when she's finished.”

“I didn't even get the chance to examine her,” Aleta protested.

“Leave it for later,” Kevin advised. “Did she manage to get out of that uniform?”

The doctor rubbed her forehead. “Yes, but she forbid me to touch her or help her in any way. She insisted on privacy. I'd have thought she would have trusted me.”

“It's not you,” he said. “It's... complicated. Privacy was something unheard of for us, a luxury none of us knew. Prisoners were considered less than trash. And trust... it just doesn't come easily. Especially for Vosh.”

“But she trusted you,” Howie observed.

“That was a hard won battle. And I don't take it lightly.” He closed his eyes for a few seconds. “Aleta... the uniform.”

“Yes?”

“Incinerate it.” His eyes drifted shut again. Distantly he said, “Neither one of us want to see anything like it ever again.”

After a moment of debate, she decided to grant his request. Before she could speak, however, she realized that Kevin had fallen asleep.

“Well,” she said in a quiet tone, “I think they have the right idea. We could all use some rest. I'm recommending the four of you go and sleep, relax, whatever. I'll have a medtech on watch; Kevin won't wake alone. We'll all be better able to deal with it with fresh minds.”

“You'll be going off-duty for a while too, right?” Howie asked, concern on his handsome face.

She gave him a smile. “Yes. I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't take my own advice. Although I don't think I am ready to sleep just yet.”

AJ watched Howie, expecting him to take the perfect opportunity that had been laid at his feet. But when the Comm officer didn't speak, he suppressed a sigh.

“Well, anyone up for a little recreational libation?” he asked.

“Libation?” Nick asked with a scowl.

“Means drink,” Brian said, snorting.

“Oh.”

“That sounds good to me,” Aleta said.

“Yeah, sure,” Howie said quickly.

AJ grinned. “First round's on me.”

~*~

Brian leaned back after draining his glass. “You know, so much has happened in the last couple of days, I'm having a hard time adjusting.”

“There are times I thought the war would never end,” Aleta said with a nod. “Now that we're on the way home it just feels surreal.”

AJ grinned. “Just imagine the parties back home,” he said. “Word is, they'll be giving all of us out in the field an immediate honorable discharge from the service. I personally plan on celebrating for at least two weeks.”

Howie rolled his eyes. “Sounds like way too much of a good thing,” he said. “But I guess it does raise the question... what is everyone going to do, once we get discharged?”

A thoughtful silence swept over the group.

“There's bound to be a lot of work to do,” Aleta said. “Healing, rebuilding, trying to get things up and going again. I don't know how chaotic things are... entire cities were destroyed. Surely the survivors will need to relocate, new towns and cities built.”

“I wouldn't mind getting into some relief work,” Howie said. “Setting up med centers, food distribution, temporary housing, stuff like that.”

Nick nodded. “I'd much rather do something like that than go back with my family,” he said. “Um, not that I don't love them and all, but fish farming just seems... well, it doesn't seem like enough, you know?”

“When you've seen what we have, and done what we've done... no, it wouldn't be enough,” Brian agreed. “I'd like to build a youth center or two, where kids can come and work things out. I imagine the war left a lot of traumatized kids, not to mention orphans. Some sense of normalcy would be welcome in their world.”

“That's a great idea,” Nick said, his eyes alight.

“It is,” Aleta agreed, then paused. “You know, there's no reason we couldn't all work together on this. We could start something from scratch, and go from there. I'd take care of the medical aspects, clinics and such...”

“I've got experience in food services, the supply and demand aspects of it,” AJ said. “My family owned six restaurants before the war. I grew up in the business.”

“I don't think there will be much call for an historical researcher,” Howie said, “but I can organize things pretty well.”

“It'll take a lot of organization,” Aleta assured him. “Your input will be vital.”

“I'll help in any way I can,” Nick volunteered. “As long as we can stay together, I'll dig ditches or paint walls or whatever.”

“I like the idea of staying together,” Brian said quietly. “And I think that Kevin will want to join us as well.”

“He'll need time to heal, and all the support we can give him. Doing something positive and constructive will do him a world of good,” Aleta said.

Nick stirred the ice in his glass. “And what about Vosh?”

“I imagine she'll stick with whatever Kevin does,” Aleta said. “We don't really know anything about her, personally.”

“You know, as weird as it is for all of us to be going home,” Howie mused, “for Vosh, it'll be a totally alien place. It's going to be hard for her, I think.”

“Then we'll have to make her feel at home,” Aleta declared. “As much as we can.”

~*~

She came to awareness in a snap; it had been a small Sleep, but had done much in the way of healing. Taking a deep breath of air, she wondered at the odd scents around her. She knew it was a healing place, but the smells were sharp and cold to her senses. Where were the fragrances of herbs and leaves, of roots and extracts? Perhaps these people had no knowledge of such things. She looked upwards, considering the lights. They were bright, but she felt no heat... just like on the Enemy ship. So, the magic was not unique. She wondered what other amazing things K'vn's people had created.

She sat up, removing the blanket that the Healer, L'ta, had covered her with. She sorted through the rhythmical noises, all from machines, trying to find a sign of someone. Then, from beyond the curtained wall, a soft cough came. It was male, but not K'vn. Silently she stood, moving towards the source of the sound. Quietly pushing the curtain aside, she took a few steps into the next room.

He was there, the man who had coughed, sitting near K'vn's bed. She studied him for a moment; he held a flat object in his hands, which he seemed to scan back and forth with his eyes. It made no noise, but whatever it was, he was quite interested in it. She decided, after another few heartbeats, that this man was there to watch over K'vn. But this time, unlike others, there was no threat, no cruelty. That was good. K'vn had endured more than enough.

She saw that K'vn was deeply asleep, his breathing even and slow. That was good as well. She hadn't been able to help him, before. It was all she could do to get him away from certain death aboard the Enemy ship. She knew she wasn't strong enough to heal all his wounds, at least not yet, but perhaps she could do... something. He'd been in so much pain...

Taking in a breath for strength, she moved her foot on the floor, making the man in the chair aware of her presence. He looked up, a surprised expression on his face. He put the object down, then stood cautiously. He spoke, gently, and offered her a smile.

She understood most of his words, but it was his eyes that made her move closer. They were clear, without malice, something she'd rarely seen in recent times. When she took a step nearer to K'vn, the man stood back to give her space. It was a gesture that did much to set her at ease.

She came to K'vn's side and studied the man she knew so well. With infinite care, she brushed some stray locks from his forehead, wondering at the slight frown that graced his face. His dreams were full of relived torment, of pain and fear and loss. As much as she'd been able to do for him, she'd never been able to help with the nightmares. The best she could ever do was to be there for him when he woke, and try to anchor his spirit.

K'vn stirred a bit in his sleep as his breathing rhythms quickened. He made a small noise of distress, which caused her to frown. Then the man stood on K'vn's other side, checking out some machines near the bed. He studied one of the lines that led to K'vn's arm, and pressed some buttons on the machine it was attached to. In a very short time, the frown eased from K'vn's face and his breathing steadied. She could tell he was in a peaceful sleep once again.

It was interesting that K'vn's people had machines that could do such magic. She was glad they were helping him in ways that she couldn't. Then, a thought occurred. What if K'vn didn't need her any longer? What if their magic was all he required now?

He had been her focus for so long that she hadn't thought beyond the present. He was with his own people now; he had spoken often of his friends, and how he wished he could see them again. Now that it was possible, where did she fit in?

He wouldn't need her to survive, not in this place. He wouldn't need her protection or knowledge or healing ways. A wash of grief traveled through her as she realized the truth of it. She pushed it aside; like everything else in her life, it was something she would have to face and accept.

But this, she knew, would be among the hardest to deal with. The minute they'd gained their freedom, the loss had begun.

She considered his hand, wrapped in bandages. The memory came, unbidden, when one of the Guards had cruelly smashed it, anger bringing too much force to the blow. Instead of simply causing great pain, it had pushed K'vn into unconsciousness, thwarting the attempt at retrieving information. She didn't understand why they kept at him... of all the prisoners, he was the only one who had never given in. Perhaps that was it... his refusal to speak made them think he had important knowledge. But she knew better. K'vn didn't give in because his spirit was strong, and his pride ran deep. His conviction, his loyalty to his people, would not allow him to give anything to the Enemy.

Gently she touched the bandages. He'd told her that it had already begun to heal, but she could tell that it wasn't right. The flow was all wrong, the energies tangled and darkened with damage. Some repairs had been made, but it hadn't been enough. He had tried to tell her, on the Ship, how he had used his hands in his work before the war, before the Enemy had come to his people. While she hadn't understood what it was, exactly, he had made, she knew it took great skill and precision. Pride had shone from his eyes when he spoke of the work he did, carrying on a tradition from his father. If K'vn's hand did not heal properly, he would not be able to continue the work he so loved.

This, she understood. He needed healing for his future; with their inevitable parting on the horizon, it would be the one gift she could give him. If he were awake, she knew he would forbid a complete healing of his hand; but the man's magic had settled him into a deep sleep. She could work without resistance.

But what about the man? He still watched with sharp eyes. Would he prevent her? She placed both hands on K'vn's damaged arm and looked a question at the watcher. He didn't seem to understand.

She tried a simple gesture. Pointing to herself, then to K'vn, she brought her hands together. Pointing to the man, and then the door, she nodded. Amazingly, the man understood; after a moment of hesitation, he nodded and walked to the other room.

Once she was alone, she turned all her focus on K'vn. She closed her eyes briefly, centering her mind and spirit. When the flow was good and right, she placed her hands on his damaged body. It took a while for her to match energies with him; their magic, no doubt, had changed things a bit. Finally she found the proper rhythm and began concentrating.

The damage was complex, and at first sight she doubted her ability to sort it out. But this was K'vn, so she moved forward. There, the solid strength of bones, interrupted... the continuity stopped, the flow of support and structure missing. Carefully, delicately, she began realigning the threads.

Blood lines came next, bringing life energy to the bones and flesh. Muscle and sinew, damaged by force, slowly were reoriented, their flow now going in the proper directions. She reached in to the most delicate, tiny sections, knowing that restoring energies on that level was vital. K'vn must be able to use his fingers and hand with steadiness and skill.

The flesh, bruised and painful, would be allowed to heal with time. The true damage had been repaired. Now he needed strength and new energy; this, she would give. Knowing that K'vn would forbid it if he were awake, she concentrated on transfer. She felt the flow change, and directed it in the way she had been taught so long ago. As his field brightened, hers dimmed proportionally, as it was meant to be. Regretting that she had only so much to give, she finally ended the transfer, feeling the effects on her own body as she disconnected. Now, she would Sleep. Properly, deeply, fully.

She managed to curl up on the floor before Sleep took her.

~*~

Aleta heard the tiny chirp as her comm unit activated. She answered it immediately.

The others watched her with curiosity; they couldn't hear the other end of the conversation, of course, but Aleta's reactions sparked their interest. After half a minute, she disconnected and stood.

“Apparently Vosh woke up and came to be with Kevin,” she reported. “She managed to ask my medtech Williamson to give her some privacy.”

“She spoke?” Nick asked.

“More like pantomimed,” Aleta explained. “Williamson did as asked, but went right to the monitors to see what was happening. He wants me up there.”

“Something wrong?” Brian asked with a frown.

“He didn't say wrong,” she said. “Just... unusual.”

“Well, if you-” Brian stopped mid-sentence as his own comm unit went off. He paused and answered. “Yes, it's important,” he said a second later. “We should meet in Sickbay.” He listened for a moment, then rolled his eyes. “Yes, Captain, I know you have a lot of things to attend to. But this really is a priority. Littrell, out.” He stood. “Miles is going to meet me in Sickbay. Aleta, I'll walk you up.”

“No way are you leaving us here,” AJ said, setting down his glass. “If it concerns Kevin, it concerns us all.”

“And if Miles is going to be eating his words about the so-called Enemy alien, I want a front row seat,” Howie said.

Aleta grinned. “Why Howie, that sounds rather vindictive of you.”

“What can I say... the man just rubs me the wrong way.”

She laughed. “You're not the only one. Okay, then, let's go.”

~*~

Williamson met the five in Sickbay's outer room. “You've got to view the vid recordings, Doc. The alien-”

“Her name is Vosh,” Aleta corrected.

“Sorry, Vosh, did something... well, I'm not exactly sure what. But when I saw her lie down on the floor, I went in to check on Captain Richardson. And, well...”

Aleta looked at the confused young man and patted him on the arm. “It's okay,” she said. “Let me see for myself.”

She saw the change as soon as she came to Kevin's beside. His color was vastly improved, and many of the bruises that had been on his face and shoulder had lightened immensely. His breathing was light and even, and his face seemed relaxed for the first time since he'd been brought aboard.

“I didn't move her,” Williamson said softly from alongside. “I wasn't sure what to do, and I thought I'd let her sleep for a bit until you got here.”

Aleta looked at the figure curled up on the floor next to the bed. In contrast to Kevin, Vosh looked quite pale, and dark circles appeared underneath her eyes. The doctor knelt down and did a quick vitals assessment.

“I think she's doing that Sleeping thing again,” she declared. “It's probably pretty safe to pick her up and get her onto a cot.”

Williamson nodded and lifted the woman with ease. In less than a minute, she had been settled across the room and covered with a light blanket. He returned to the doctor's side.

“I think you'd better take a scan of Captain Richardson's hand,” he said in an odd voice. “I ran one already, but thought it was wrong. But the second scan said the same...”

“Is something wrong? Are the-”

“Please, doc,” the medtech said. “Just scan him.”

Puzzled, Aleta grabbed a portable scanner and swept the device across Kevin's damaged hand. She stopped, frowned, and pressed a few buttons. Slowly, she did another scan. Her hazel eyes widened as she read the scan results again.

How...”

“Now might be the time for watching the recordings,” Williamson said.

Brian, who had been watching the entire exchange with curiosity, finally spoke.

“So what's the big mystery?” he asked. “He hasn't suffered a set back, has he?”

“I wouldn't call it a setback,” Aleta said, crossing the room.

When everyone had gathered around the viewscreen, Williamson activated the recording.

~*~

Silence was left in the wake of the end of the recording. Without a word, Aleta went back to Kevin's side. She did a tentative physical assessment of his damaged hand, still not entirely trusting the earlier scan or what she had just witnessed. She finished and shook her head slowly.

“Is he... is his hand okay now?” Howie asked in a low voice.

“It shouldn't be... but it is. We only did the first surgery, which was mostly exploratory and very basic.”

“Nanites?” Brian asked.

“We hadn't introduced that stage yet,” Aleta said. “It was Vosh...”

“Littrell, this had better be good,” came a loud voice from the outer room. “I'll have you know that my-”

“Miles,” Brian answered, turning to the man who had just crossed the inner threshold. “So good of you to respond so quickly to my requested meeting.”

Miles stopped, giving the shorter man an appraising glance. He was used to an undercurrent of sarcasm from the officer, but there was something extra in his tone this time.

“So what's the so-called important issue?” he asked. “I'm scheduled for a-”

“Miles,” came Kevin's voice. “Don't you have a volume control?”

“How are you feeling?” Aleta asked instantly.

Kevin paused. With a slight lilt of surprise, he said, “Actually I'm feeling pretty good. What kind of drugs did you give me?”

“It's more than drugs,” she began explaining. “Your-”

“What is this prisoner doing in Sickbay?” Miles demanded, pointing to Vosh's sleeping form. “This is an unsecured area! Bringing her here is a direct violation of my express orders!”

“Although this might be incomprehensible to your ego,” Brian said, “she's not, and never was, the Enemy. You wrongfully imprisoned her. She's a proven ally, and you made a huge mistake.”

“Don't be ridiculous,” Miles fumed. “It's obvious-”

“That you were completely wrong,” Kevin interrupted. “Vosh isn't the Enemy. She saved my life, and not just the last time. I couldn't have escaped without her.” He locked gazes with Miles. “She was a prisoner on the Ship.”

The Captain blinked in disbelief. “But what about-”

“Nick said that he caught my ident signal, briefly... and Howie picked it up later in full. That wasn't my doing.” He glanced at his still bandaged hand. “It was Vosh. She helped me to rig up a sender, and it was she who sent the code. We were interrupted the first time...” His eyes clouded a bit. “I don't even remember how she got us out of the cells. I don't remember reaching the escape pod. She must have dragged me over half the ship...” He took in a deep breath. “Once she launched the pod, she must have kept sending the code. I vaguely remember that. Then there was this terrible shaking, things spinning... the power went out.”

“Maybe that was when I hooked on to you,” AJ said. “When I tried to tow the pod back to the Parrin.”

“Maybe,” Kevin said, nodding slightly.

“But with the power off, wouldn't life support be off too?” Nick asked.

“Yes,” Aleta said. “But Kevin had a rebreather on when we cracked the seal on the craft.”

“The pod was meant for a single being,” Kevin said. “There was only one rebreather. Vosh must have put it in my mouth.”

“You've been through an understandably traumatic time,” Miles said, frowning. “Perhaps your mind is confused... she was wearing the uniform of the Enemy. Doctor, isn't there a possibility of selective amnesia, or brainwashing? After all, being a prisoner for half a year would surely break even the strongest of men.”

“I wasn't brainwashed!” Kevin said angrily. “And I'm not confused. The things I don't clearly recall were due from being unconscious, not from amnesia.” He peered at Miles. “And the reason she was in that damned uniform was because it... it was her only choice.”

“That's absurd,” Miles snapped. “Are you saying she had no other clothes, and willingly chose an Enemy uniform to wear?”

Kevin sat up and swung his legs over the edge of his bed. He narrowed his eyes and said, “That's exactly what I'm saying.”

“She's not human,” Miles said, not backing down. “The good doctor here verified that. She's got to be the Enemy, no matter how attached you ended up getting to her.” He gave Kevin a sneer. “So what was it... you found out, during those long six months, that you needed a bedwarmer? Something to pass the time with? Granted, she isn't much to look at, but beggars can't be-”

Kevin exploded off the bed, anger blazing in his eyes. Faster than anyone could react, he reached Miles and swung a punch, hitting the man hard on the jaw. The Captain was knocked to the floor in less than a second.

You son-of-a-b-”

“Kevin!” Howie shouted, holding his friend's arm in a tight grip.

“Let me go!” the enraged man grated.

“This isn't going to help,” Howie continued, not easing up. “He's provoking you, let it slide!”

“He can't say that about Vosh,” Kevin said, twisting to free himself. “It's not true, any of it!”

Aleta stepped in. “We believe you, Kevin,” she said. “Miles had that coming, but if you do any more, it's going to mean trouble for you. Please.”

“I'll have you court-martialled,” came the growl from the floor. “Striking a superior officer-”

Brian reached down and hauled Miles roughly to his feet. “You're not a superior officer, just a higher ranking one,” he hissed. “And if you don't want this to turn uglier than it already is, I'd suggest you shut up. Now.”

Miles regained his balance and glared. “No one does this to me, on my ship. I'll have you spend the rest of the trip home in the brig.”

“You'll do no such thing,” Brian said in a hard voice. “Or have you forgotten that the war is over? We'll be going home, yes... and once we're there, the truth will be known about how you treated an ally, how you locked her up and endangered her. How you insulted a rescued prisoner of war. Kevin and Vosh will be given due honors, and you'll be the most hated human Captain in history. Is that what you want?”

Miles' jaw clenched but he kept silent.

“I didn't think so,” Brian continued. “At the very least, you owe Kevin and Vosh an apology.”

The Captain shook off Brian's hand and stepped back. “I'm not going to-”

“If you have any political aspirations at all,” Howie cut in unexpectedly, “you most certainly will. And you'll do it publicly. Anyone can make a mistake, but if you don't try to make it right, it'll come back and haunt you. You know as well as I do that would be the death knell of such a public career.”

At that, Miles hesitated. Howie saw his expression and continued on.

“Miles, this has been a long and tiring war. We all understand that. But you made a major error in judgment; if you don't fix it, they'll think of you not as the man who ended the war, but as the man who insulted everyone who sacrificed their lives for it. You belittled what Kevin endured as a prisoner, you insulted the woman who saved his life and helped him to escape, demeaning her in both word and action. Explain to me how that's going to help you once we get home.”

Brian folded his arms. “For once, listen to reason, Miles. Take this opportunity, or kiss your future goodbye. It's up to you.”

Miles scowled, then turned on his heel and strode out of the room.

“You should have let me at him,” Kevin said, still upset.

“You got in a great shot,” Nick said with a small grin. “Awesome punch.”

“Yes, it was,” Aleta said slowly. “How does that hand feel, Kevin?”

The tall man shrugged. “Tingles a little, but...” He stopped, realization dawning on his face. He stared at his hand. “But I...”

“Before we were so rudely interrupted,” Aleta said, “I was trying to tell you something. It seems that Vosh did something to your hand earlier. According to the scans, it's-”

“Healed,” he breathed. “She healed it... she...” He stopped, then turned to where Vosh was still asleep. “Damn it.”

“Thought you'd be happy,” Nick said, confused. “I mean, your hand's fixed, right?”

“There was a lot of damage,” he said, studying the woman. “She shouldn't have done anything that complex. Look at her.”

“She's pale, and sleeping deeply,” Aleta provided. “But she seems to be all right.”

Kevin began unwrapping his bandages; Aleta came to help him remove the final layers. Carefully he stretched his hand, testing each of his fingers for flexibility and movement.

“That's amazing,” Aleta said, taking a close look. “Other than some surface discoloration where my incision was, I can't detect any lingering damage.”

Kevin glanced at Nick. “Vosh has the ability to heal by touch,” he said. “It's very difficult to do, and it drains her own energy greatly. If she's hurting, or sick... it can weaken her too much. She nearly died once...” He trailed off for a moment. “She always tried to heal me, after the interrogation sessions. Once I found out the price it cost her, I wouldn't allow it. But she'd just wait until I passed out and did it anyway. No amount of arguing stopped her. Even when I got mad.”

“What about the other prisoners?” AJ asked, his voice low. “Did she heal them, too?”

Kevin shook his head. “No,” he said. “I never understood why. I had no idea she had the ability until I'd been a prisoner for probably about two, two and a half months.”

“Is that why she didn't fix your knee?” Brian asked.

The oldest looked down at his leg. “It got banged up in the crash,” he said. “I tried to set it, keep it immobile as best I could, but it healed all wrong. By the time I met Vosh, I think it was too late for her to help.”

“I wonder why she chose you,” AJ said thoughtfully.

“She wouldn't explain that to me,” Kevin said. “Although I did ask. She only said that it had to be right.”

“Right?”

He turned to Aleta. “That's what she said. No further explanations, just that. But then again, she knows a lot more about me than I know about her. Communication is a bit difficult.”

“How much do you think she understands of our language?” Nick asked. “When I talked to her earlier, I got the impression she wasn't really catching much.”

Kevin shook his head. “Honestly, I'm not sure. We developed a kind of sign language so we could talk to each other, but I think she relies more on tone and eye contact than words.”

“I take it speaking is difficult for her,” Aleta said, folding her arms.

“It's hard for her to actually talk,” Kevin said, sitting back down on the edge of his bed. “It's a physical thing. She was less than forthcoming with an explanation.”

Aleta sighed. “Well, until she wakes up again, we'll have to put all this speculation on hold. In the meantime,” she said, giving a significant look to Kevin, “I think it's time for a new physical assessment.”

He scowled. “Come on,” he said, “you've picked and poked at me enough in the last couple of days.”

“And I need to do it again,” she said, undaunted. “Just think about it this way... the sooner I can give you a clean bill of health... that is, when you're in decent enough condition to move out of Sickbay permanently... the sooner you'll be able to leave.”

“Then we can all go back to the Parrin,” Brian said. “That is, if you want to, Kevin.”

“There's no way I am going back home aboard Miles' ship,” he declared. “I want to be where I feel at home, and that's with all of you.”

Brian smiled. “Well, as soon as the good doctor here declares you fit for transfer, we're out of here. Doc?”

“I'll do the exam right now,” she said. “Out, all of you.”

Happily, the four men complied, leaving the fifth under the watchful eye of the doctor.

~*~

 

 

Five by Louise

 

Kevin stood under the hot water, luxuriating in the sensation of the shower. For the first few minutes, he didn't move. He simply closed his eyes and reveled in the feeling.

He had been permitted no such amenity as a prisoner. The closest thing he'd experienced was being blasted by ice-cold water until his body was numbed during certain interrogation sessions. Sessions he'd rather forget... but doubted he ever would.

He pushed the memories back and, using a generous amount of soap, scrubbed himself from head to toe. By the time he'd finished, he realized half an hour had passed.

After toweling off, he reluctantly faced the mirror. His hair was far too long; he'd ask Aleta for some scissors, or find someone to trim it for him. And his beard... He almost didn't recognize himself. His face was thin, pale except where the bruises still colored the flesh. With the long hair, the unkempt beard and his general coloring he bore little resemblance to the man he'd been six months earlier.

He sighed. That man no longer existed. Months of deprivation, scant rations, and unbearable cycles of pain and torture had changed him forever. He wondered if he would ever be able to come to terms with who he now was.

He combed his hair and frowned at his beard. Normally he kept it neatly trimmed and shaped, but now he just looked disheveled. That was next on the list.

He dressed in the clothes that Aleta had gotten him; although the garb was casual and ordinary, it felt wonderful. For the first time in half a year, he was not wearing his tattered uniform. Finally, he was beginning to feel like he was free.

By the time another hour had passed, Kevin sat down on his bed, surprisingly tired. He'd gotten his hair cut and beard trimmed by one of the ship's talented groomers; the woman had been chatty and upbeat, and the time had flown by. He was pleased with the results... he'd begun to look human again. He had thanked her profusely, only to be told that the pleasure was hers... it was the least she could do for a true war hero.

Kevin didn't consider himself a hero. He was simply a survivor. Her remark had surprised him; he wondered if others had the same belief. Aleta had told him he'd better get used to it; already, people had been contacting her in hopes of getting to meet Captain Kevin Richardson, the only known prisoner to have survived the horrors of Enemy capture.

He yawned as he sat on the chair near Vosh's bedside. He gave a slight smile when he realized his tiredness was, for once, not due to physical exhaustion, weakness, or drugs. It came from being relaxed... a novel state.

Aleta had given him official permission to leave Sickbay, but he didn't want to go without Vosh. He would stay until she awakened; then, they could take up residence on the Parrin. He had missed his old ship; it was fitting that they would return home together.

He settled into the rather comfortable chair and regarded his companion. He had no way to judge how long her Sleep would be; it had always varied, and she wouldn't, or couldn't, explain it well enough to calculate duration. Like most things concerning Vosh, it was a mystery.

In a mere handful of minutes, he fell asleep, lost for once in a dreamless, peaceful void.

~*~

Rich Raines entered the ship's gym, breathing a sigh of relief when he saw the man he'd been seeking for the last half hour. He walked over to the bench and sat down, watching what looked like a cutthroat game of one-on-one. He'd never been a huge fan of basketball, but he could tell the two competitors were engaged in a very close game.

At first, it didn't seem likely that the players would be so evenly matched. Brian, the older and shorter man, should have been trounced by the much taller and younger Nick. But the Captain moved astonishingly quickly, faking his opponent out at every turn. Raines chuckled as he saw the gleam in Littrell's eyes... obviously, the man had a true passion for the game.

Nick let out an audible groan when Brian scored yet more points; he held up his hands in a time-out signal and attempted to catch his breath.

“Opting out so soon, Carter?” Brian teased. “I'm surprised you're ready to admit defeat already.”

“Yeah, well, I haven't gotten my proper sleep lately,” Nick said. “And I missed a meal-”

“Excuses,” Brian said, tossing the ball in for one last basket. “Always excuses.”

“You might have won,” he said, “this time. After all, even I know it's not smart to beat your commanding officer too many times at too many things.” He smiled widely.

Brian rolled his eyes. “Like you let me win,” he said. “You pulled out all the stops, and I still walked all over you.”

“Whatever you say, sir,” Nick answered, giving a mock salute. “Hey, Rich... how goes?”

“That was some game,” Raines said, standing. “Do you two always play like that?”

“What, me winning and him losing? Yeah,” Brian answered, ducking the towel that Nick launched in his direction.

Raines laughed. “You all seem very close,” he said. “We don't have much of a relaxed atmosphere here.”

“No doubt,” Brian said. “Speaking of Miles, any word on the apology yet?”

Raines cleared his throat. “Actually, that's what I'm here for. I think. I have a note for you, from the Captain. I was to deliver it ASAP.” He held out a folded white paper.

Brian took the note and read the message inside. “Interesting,” he said, after looking over it one more time. “There's going to be an official gathering tomorrow morning, and we're all to meet in the main assembly room. Dress uniforms, the whole nine yards.” He looked at Rich. “It doesn't say what it's about though.”

“Scuttlebutt says it's going to be a ceremony to honor Captain Richardson, and that there's going to be some kind of announcement made.”

“Better be an apology,” Brian muttered. “Kevin is still mad at him.”

“I heard he decked Miles,” Rich said in a low voice. “I wish I had been there to witness it.”

“It was awesome,” Nick interjected. “I mean, not the part where he said those terrible things about Kevin and Vosh, but when Kevin just laid him flat. One perfect hit to the jaw, and down he went!”

“As your commanding officer, I should reprimand you for saying that,” Brian said. “But in reality, I agree with you one hundred percent. Miles had it coming.”

“I've never known the Captain to apologize for anything, but with Richardson being a war hero and all... let's just say I'll be listening with both ears tomorrow.”

“Well, Nick, better dig out your dress blues,” Brian said. “And Rich... I have a favor to ask, if I may.”

“Sure, what is it?”

“I need to take a quick trip over to the Parrin. There's something there I need to take out of storage.”

“I'll shuttle you there myself,” Rich said. “Just say the word when you're ready.”

~*~

Aleta read by the soft glow of her report display; the rest of Sickbay had been darkened in consideration of the two patients sleeping beyond the doorway. Taking a break, she leaned back and allowed a slight smile to curve her lips. Kevin had benefited greatly from his shower and change of clothes; she'd managed to gather a plain uniform in his size, although she didn't like the weight loss that was evident once he'd donned the garb. Still, even after all he'd been through, Kevin Richardson was an undeniably handsome man. It was too bad that he hadn't wanted a relationship with her years ago when she'd offered; wisely, they had decided to simply remain friends.

She turned her thoughts to Vosh. Obviously the woman was devoted to Kevin, and vice versa; the question was how deep and in which direction did that dedication run. He'd gotten infuriated with Miles' innuendo earlier; surely there was something behind that emotional outburst other than plain offense. She wondered what Kevin would do when he learned that Vosh had been assaulted by someone in the prison cell. Aleta hoped it wouldn't be up to her to reveal that particular truth.

Thinking along those lines, the doctor decided that once Vosh was awake and aware, she would insist on a thorough physical exam. Vosh might be able to heal others, but she, herself, looked less than healthy. From what Aleta could see, the woman was far too thin to begin with. The Sickbay scrubs she'd provided the petite alien practically swam on her frame. The doctor had nothing to else to give her to wear, however. Then an idea occurred.

A quick body profile search gave her the answers she needed a few minutes later. There were five women on board the Sealk that roughly matched Vosh's size. Two were unfamiliar to Aleta, but she knew the other three personally. A check of duty status revealed one, Erin Avar, was currently off duty. Aleta put in a non-critical summons through to her private comm link. She was pleased at the rapid response less than half a minute later; Ensign Avar was on her way.

Erin arrived with a curious expression. Aleta put her at ease right away, motioning for the young woman to sit down in the chair opposite hers.

“Thanks for coming down so quickly,” the doctor said. “I hope I didn't alarm you.”

“No, ma'am, I was just writing a few letters and such when you called. What's up?”

“Well, I have an unusual favor to ask. This is strictly a personal thing, so feel free to say no.”

“What is it?” Erin asked.

“I'm sure you are aware of Captain Richardson's rather astonishing return.”

“Yes, ma'am,” the ensign said. She leaned forward. “Is he still here? In Sickbay, I mean?”

“Right beyond that doorway,” Aleta smiled. “He's sleeping at the moment, otherwise I'd introduce you.”

The woman blushed. “Oh, I wouldn't know what to say,” she said, ducking her head. “I mean, he's such a hero and all.”

Aleta shook her head. “He doesn't see it that way. And I've known him for a long time, he's really a very nice guy. Easy to talk to, you know?”

Erin gave a shrug.

“Anyway, the favor. Were you aware of the other occupant of the escape pod?”

“I heard there was one of the Enemy on board, but that Captain Miles had her locked up right away.”

“The Captain was mistaken,” Aleta said. “She wasn't the Enemy; as a matter of fact, she saved Captain Richardson's life by getting them both to the pod before the O'mosk blew.”

“Really?”

“Confirmed by Richardson himself. The alien's name is V'sh, or Vosh. She doesn't really speak a lot, and we're not sure how much of our language she understands. The reason Captain Miles was mistaken about her at first was probably because she was wearing an Enemy jumpsuit. It seems she has no clothes of her own.” Aleta paused. “And that's where you might come in, if you're willing. She's small, petite like you are. I gave her the smallest size scrubs I had in stock, and it's just too big, not to mention only fit to wear in Sickbay. I was wondering if you'd be able to donate something for her to wear.”

Erin's expression lightened. “Is that all? Well, sure, of course I will. I won't need anything but uniforms from now until we get home. It seems like the least I could do for someone who saved Captain Richardson's life.”

“Thank you so much,” Aleta said, smiling. “It's really very generous of you. Just what you can spare; I'm sure we'll get her some more clothes once we arrive planetside.” She stood. “This will mean a lot to her, I think. And I know Captain Richardson will be grateful.”

The young ensign blushed once again and stood as well. “I'm glad I could help,” she said shyly. “I'll collect some things and be back before my duty shift.”

“Thanks, Erin. We owe you one.”

With a quick glance towards the doorway, the woman said goodbye and left on her mission.

~*~

She woke cautiously. She didn't open her eyes; rather, she listened to the sounds around her and tried to get a feel for her surroundings. Memory rushed back: she had healed K'vn, given him energy. That was good.

She'd gone into Sleep afterwards, but now she was no longer on the floor. The air smelled like the healing room, where L'ta worked. The soft fabric under her hand felt like the white material of her bedding, earlier. Now, she knew where she was.

Sounds were soft, muted. She heard the strange beeps and hums of machines around her, but there were no voices, no footsteps. There was, however, a slight sound of breathing... even and steady, the rhythm familiar. Satisfied that it was safe to open her eyes, she did so, only to find K'vn next to her in a chair. Despite her self-discipline, she found herself inhaling sharply as she beheld him.

His hair... it had been cut! And his beard had been tended to as well. He was in fitted clothes, not the healer's issue. His face was relaxed in a way she'd never seen, not even when he'd been driven to deep unconsciousness. It was as if she were looking at a stranger.

She sat up silently, gazing at his transformation with wonder. It was a good change, one she approved of. Surely he wanted to put all reminders of his imprisonment behind him, starting with his physical appearance. At that thought, she paused.

K'vn was with his people now. They would now care for him, help him to heal inside. He was headed home, where he belonged. Where he needed to be.

Where she could never go.

She had lost Home long before her imprisonment on the Enemy ship; even the memories had faded and paled over time. Once again she was helpless, choiceless, to direct her journey. And while she would go willingly with K'vn, she knew she didn't belong with him. She would never be a part of his home.

But how could she live as one of the Lost? Her heart told her she'd long outlasted her people, her world. She had been ready to die, had wanted to join her loved ones, but that fate had been denied her. Now she was heading for a strange place, to live among people she didn't know or understand. She would forever be apart.

Grief wrenched her chest; at least on the Enemy ship, she had her plans and duties. But that was no more. Although she was happy that K'vn had escaped, she still regretted having to accompany him. What was her future, truly?

She reached out and touched his now-soft hair, knowing that she was no longer the only one to care for him. She had saved him, but at a bitter cost. The loneliness swelled, nearly pushing her to tears. But she didn't cry; no, tears were for the before times. She had shed more than her share, then.

She sat back, swallowing against the strong emotions. Suddenly, a slight sound came from the doorway: it was L'ta. The healer approached slowly, offering a smile and a few gentle words. She returned the greeting with an even gaze; it was the best she could do. Then K'vn stirred, and the healer's attention went to him. As she had done countless times, she waited for him open his leaf-colored eyes. For the first time, she saw a true smile cross his face when he woke.

It was beautiful.

~*~

“Hi there,” Aleta said, returning Kevin's smile. “How are you feeling?”

He rubbed at his neck. “I guess I should have picked a better spot to fall asleep,” he said.

“You looked pretty relaxed, I hated to wake you.”

“I wanted to watch over-” He belatedly realized another pair of eyes were on him. “Vosh!”

The woman gave a short nod.

“If I had known you were going to heal my hand, I would have-”

His sentence was interrupted by a curt gesture of dismissal. Aleta grinned; she didn't need to wonder what Vosh had said.

“I have never met someone as stubborn as you,” he declared, softening the statement with a smile.

Vosh arched an eyebrow and made a brief motion.

Kevin laughed. “Well, I suppose some people would agree with that. I have been known to be a bit unyielding at times.”

“She knows you pretty well,” Aleta said. “Now that you're both awake, do you think you can convince her to let me give her a real exam?”

“Is it necessary?” he asked. “Because I don't think it will be easy to get her to agree.”

Aleta hesitated. She was most interested in assessing the damage the prison cell assault had brought on, but she loathed telling Kevin what had happened.

“I think it is,” she said. “I was able to give you the stamp of approval, I'd like to do the same for her. Then you both can get out of my hair.”

“I'll try,” he said. He faced the woman and paused for a moment, trying to figure out how to say what he needed to.

Slowly, he began, using simple signs along with words. Vosh frowned, and he tried to explain it again. Her frown deepened.

He began another series of gestures, but her hand flew out and stopped him. She made a few elaborate signs and looked at him expectantly, the frown still in place.

“I guess that means no,” Aleta said.

“Apparently she understood exactly what I was saying, that's not the problem. She's refusing, and I don't think she's going to cooperate, period. She said there's no reason for it, she's healed.”

Aleta sighed. The refusal was not unexpected. “All right, but we'll keep an eye on her, just in case.”

“Excuse me, Dr. Simpson,” came a tentative voice from the edge of the room.

“Erin, please come in,” she said, gesturing to the young woman.

The ensign hesitated, but did as requested. She kept her gaze on the doctor although a blush began coloring her cheeks. “Here's the things I brought, ma'am,” she said, holding out a bundle.

Aleta smiled. Had she ever been that young and shy? “Captain Kevin Richardson, I'd like you to meet Ensign Erin Avar. She's generously volunteered to do us a favor.”

Kevin gave her a nod and held out his hand. “Hello, Erin.”

She blinked and regarded his outstretched hand for a moment, as if unsure what to do. Then she quickly shook it, pulling back as it afraid to really touch him. “Hi, sir,” she managed to mumble.

“Now, Erin, don't be shy,” Aleta said. “Really, he won't bite.”

Kevin's lips curved into a slight grin. “Honestly, I'm harmless,” he said. “What kind of favor is it, anyway?”

When Erin hesitated, Aleta came to the rescue. “Well, we are able to fit you with fairly suitable clothes, but Vosh is a bit small for what we have in stock. Since Erin here is about her size, she volunteered to donate some clothing for Vosh to wear.”

Erin watched as Kevin's face lit up with a smile. “That's wonderful!” he exclaimed. “It's been so long since-” He turned to Vosh and made a few simple signs.

Vosh looked from him to Erin, then back again. The puzzlement on her face was plain.

“A gift for you,” Kevin said aloud as he repeated the signs. “Clothes. Ensign Avar has brought them for you, to wear. To keep.”

Vosh's brow furrowed, and she looked back to Erin. When she didn't reach out for the bundle, Erin felt compelled to speak.

“I know they're not very fancy,” she said. “But they're sure better than what you've got on. Please, accept them.” She held out the clothing. When the alien didn't take them, she looked a question at Kevin, her earlier shyness gone for the moment.

“I don't know,” Kevin said, answering out loud. “Vosh?”

After several heartbeats, Vosh turned back to Kevin. With great care, she signed slowly.

“No, it's a gift,” he said in answer. Again she signed.

His face darkened as he realized what the problem was. “No exchange,” he said with a curt gesture. “It's a gift.”

The frank doubt on her face made him close his eyes for a moment. “Oh, Vosh,” he whispered painfully, rubbing his forehead with his fingers.

Erin, with a slightly hurt expression, lowered her offering. “I'm sorry,” she said. “I guess these aren't right...”

“No,” Kevin said at once, holding up a hand. “They're right, they're perfect. It's not the clothes, it's...” He struggled for words. “We were never given anything on the Ship. Everything had to be... negotiated. If we wanted anything we didn't have, we had to offer something in exchange for it.” He swallowed with difficulty. “From me, they wanted information. I never gave them that. But for Vosh, it-” He stopped. The two women kept their silence while he regained his mental balance. “I was never able to find out how long Vosh had been on the Ship. But I think it's been a very, very long time since she's been given a gift with no strings attached.”

Aleta was horrified at the implications. She hadn't thought too much as to what life as a prisoner might have been; she'd been too interested in their physical health up until now. But this... She shot a glance at Erin, hoping that the younger woman hadn't made the grim connections. But from the expression on the ensign's face, she realized she just might have.

“Then it's about time she got one,” Erin said. Her voice was shaky but her eyes held a determined light.

She approached Vosh, who had watched the entire exchange with puzzled intensity. “A gift,” she said, presenting the bundle. “Free. Please, take it.”

Vosh studied the woman's eyes for a long, suspended moment. Then she gave a questioning look to Kevin.

“It's okay,” he whispered.

Vosh turned back and, after a pause, reached a hand out to touch the fabric on the top article of the bundle. Still, she hesitated.

Drawing in a deep breath, Vosh shut her eyes for a second and then opened them. “K'vn,” she croaked, pointing to him. It was obvious that the effort brought a measure of pain. “L'ta,” she continued, indicating the doctor. “V'sh,” she rasped, tapping herself on her chest.

Erin understood. Pointing to herself, she said, “Erin.”

“Er'n,” Vosh echoed awkwardly.

The young woman smiled and nodded. Then, and only then, did Vosh reach for the bundle. When Erin detected a lingering trace of uncertainty, she said, “Why don't you try them on to see if they fit?”

Kevin made the appropriate signs when Vosh looked his way. The alien seemed to consider something, and made a brief gesture back.

A bit of light crept back into Kevin's eyes. “I'm sure she will,” he answered her. He then spoke to Erin. “She said she would like you to help.”

A relieved look swept over Erin's face and the woman nodded. “Sure, come on, we can find some privacy and get rid of those ugly Sickbay clothes,” she said. “Uh, no offense, doc...”

“None taken,” Aleta said. “Use one of the exam rooms.”

“Be back in a minute,” Erin said, leading Vosh away.

Once they were gone, Kevin sat down and let out a heavy sigh. He didn't speak, and Aleta didn't know quite what to say. The silence grew awkward after a minute's lapse. The interruption came at the perfect time.

“Knock, knock,” came a familiar voice.

“Brian, hey,” Kevin said, glad to see his friend.

“Brought you something you're going to need,” the blond said, wiggling a box he was carrying.

“Oh?”

“Yeah,” Brian said. “Did you hear about the ceremony tomorrow morning?”

“What ceremony?” he asked.

“Details are sketchy, but here's the note Miles had delivered to me a while ago.” He handed over a crumpled piece of paper to the older man.

Kevin scowl increased as he read the brief missive. “And what's this ceremony all about?”

“I'm betting it's the closest thing to a public apology you're going to get,” Brian answered.

“Well, I didn't get an invite, and even if I did, I wouldn't go-”

“I can get Howie down here to convince you otherwise,” Brian said with a smile. “You know he can talk you into anything. Besides, it might be the perfect chance for you to put Miles in his place.”

“If I never see that bas-”

“Kevin,” Aleta interrupted, “please reconsider. I, for one, want to see Miles try and turn his major mistake around. It ought to be good for the amusement factor alone. And it'll give you a chance to speak up... everyone's been waiting for you to make some kind of statement anyway.”

He ran a hand through his hair. “I'm not one to make speeches.”

“You'll be able to set the record straight about Vosh, at the very least,” Brian stated.

That was the final deciding factor. Reluctantly, Kevin nodded. “All right, but just a warning... if he ticks me off, I don't have any qualms about decking him, official ceremony or not.”

“No one would lift a finger to stop you,” Brian assured him. “So, to that end... here.” He handed over the box.

“What is it?”

“It's a box. Open it,” Brian said, rolling his eyes. He got the grin he was looking for.

Kevin lifted the lid and simply stared. He looked up and spoke in a whisper. “It's my-”

“Your uniform,” Brian finished, his voice serious now.

“But how?”

“I kept it,” came the simple statement. “After your... well, after the report of the crash, I just couldn't believe you wouldn't be coming back. So I just stowed it away. I guess I was right after all, huh?”

Kevin was deeply touched by the gesture. He had been so sure, during those long months in prison, that he'd been forgotten by everyone. The Enemy had continually emphasized the fact that he'd been abandoned, that loyalty was useless, that no one cared about-

“Kev?” Brian asked softly.

Kevin sniffed, dismayed to find wetness gathering in his eyes. “Yeah, sorry. I just... I didn't expect this.”

“Welcome back, Captain,” Brian said.

Swallowing against the lump in his throat, Kevin did the unexpected and gave the younger man a quick, heartfelt hug. “Thanks,” he managed.

After a moment, a spark arose in Brian's blue eyes. “Now all you have to do is tell Miles where to go and how to get there, and you can be back where you belong... with us, on the Parrin.”

“There's nothing I'd like more,” Kevin said wholeheartedly.

~*~

“No,” Erin said with a smile. “That goes in the back. Here... see?”

Vosh studied the fastening and watched as the other woman demonstrated.

“Got it?”

Yes, came the nod. Then an eyebrow raised in question.

“Why?” Erin guessed. “Well, it's so you don't... jiggle.”

After a long moment, Vosh made a wiggling motion and pointed.

“Exactly,” Erin said, relieved that Vosh had understood. “Now, I brought two pairs of leggings, pretty much the same. Which do you like? Which color, blue or black?”

Vosh reached out and touched the soft fabric of each. Teacher blue? Fighter black? I am neither. But again, colors do not mean the same in this place. A slight shiver went through her. Nothing is the same.

Unable to bring herself to choose the black... she'd hated every moment of fighting she'd endured... she chose the blue.

Erin nodded in approval, then held out several more items. “You can layer these if you want. Sometimes it gets too cool, and I about freeze on this ship. Once we get home, you'll need other things I don't have here, but for the trip it should be good.”

A nod told her that Vosh had understood at least part of it. Giving the alien a bit of privacy, Erin turned her gaze to the floor and- not knowing if her words were making any sense- kept up a light conversation, mostly ship gossip and plans for what she'd like to do once home. A touch on her arm made her re-focus, and she smiled.

“You look great!” Erin said. “Hmm, better than I do in them, I think.” She gave the woman a critical gaze. “Only thing left is maybe to get your hair trimmed.”

Vosh reached up and touched her hair, looking a question at her.

“Yeah,” Erin said. “You did understand what I said... didn't you?”

Vosh nodded.

“Captain Richardson must have taught you a lot, then,” she said. “He's pretty amazing, don't you think?”

It took me dozens of cycles to teach K'vn how to communicate, she thought with a slight bit of amusement. I see the spark in this young one's eyes, hear it in her words. He is a hero to her... as he should be. I would not dare dim that light.

Vosh nodded firmly.

“And gosh, so handsome! I mean, he's just got the most awesome eyes, you know? Oh, and that voice...”

A tiny gleam came to Vosh's eyes as she listened. How long has it been since I have heard the passion that only the young can generate? She has fought in this war, yet her innocence not been tainted. It is good to know those such as she have survived to carry on.

“...but you know all that,” Erin finished, blushing a bit. “I'm prattling on and I'm sure you are eager to get back to everyone. Come on.”

Together they left the room.

~*~

 

Six by Louise

 

“...so you can expect at least a two-day debriefing once we land. They were going to send out a lightship to bring you back early, but I told them that you needed physical rest beforehand.” Brian looked over at the doctor. “You'll back me up on that, won't you?”

“Absolutely,” Aleta said. “They can ask all kinds of questions once you're recovered enough to endure it, Kevin. But until then, you are on absolute R&R.”

“Just get me back to the Parrin, and I'll be content,” he assured his two friends.

“AJ's already made sure we're properly stocked,” Brian said. “Although there were some containers that he was kind of evasive about... but Howie promised me they weren't anything illegal.” He shrugged. “I suppose we'll find out soon enough.”

He stopped when he saw a young woman -an Ensign by her uniform- enter the room, belatedly realizing that Vosh was behind her. He gave a friendly smile but Aleta spoke first.

“I see everything fits,” she said.

“Yes, ma'am, although I don't think she cares for the shoes,” Erin answered. “But you were right, we are the same size.”

“Ensign Avar donated some clothing to Vosh,” Aleta explained when she saw Brian's inquisitive look. “Ensign, this is Captain-”

“Littrell,” Erin finished. “Yes, ma'am, I know.” Then she ducked her head, blushing once again. “Sorry,” she apologized, realizing she had interrupted a superior officer.

“We'll all be civilians soon enough,” Aleta said. “I don't think anyone here stands on protocol much.”

Brian grinned and held out a hand, which Erin shook. “Nice to meet you, sir,” she said. Then, glancing at the time, she said, “I need to be reporting to duty in just a few minutes. If you'll excuse me...”

“Of course,” Aleta said, putting an arm around her shoulder. “Let me walk you out, there was something I wanted to ask you.”

The two women left, and Kevin broke the silence.

“You look great, Vosh,” he said.

You, too, she signed.

“We've never been introduced,” Brian said. “I'm Brian Littrell.” He held out a hand.

Vosh tilted her head slightly, then shook his hand. She glanced at Kevin and made a gesture.

“Yes, I've told you about him,” came the answer. “He's a-”

Another gesture interrupted his words.

“Yes, a Captain like me,” Kevin said, surprised. “Part of my crew before I was imprisoned.”

She turned back to Brian. With great effort, she managed to speak his name. “Br'n.” She touched her chest. “V'sh.” She studied him closely.

Brian cast a glance to Kevin, who shrugged.

“I don't know, just see what she does next,” the older man advised.

Hesitantly, Vosh moved a step forward, her hand raised slightly. Brian stood still, curious. He offered her a small smile, hoping to reassure her in some way.

She glanced at Kevin again, but didn't ask a question. Instead, she turned back to Brian and carefully, slowly, reached up. When he didn't move, she moved her hand forward and, with the utmost delicacy, touched his hair.

She regarded it with wonder. For several moments, she gazed at the strands, feeling the texture between her fingers. Then, suddenly, she withdrew her hand and stepped back. Before Kevin could ask, the odd scene was interrupted by Aleta's return.

“So, Kevin,” Aleta said, “do you think you're up for a stroll around the ship? I imagine you'll be spending the night on board, so you can probably quarter with your crew... I understand they found a Suite to accommodate you all. Unless you'd rather bunk here?”

“No reflection on you, but no way.”

“Excellent, then. Brian, I'd appreciate you going as escort, just in case a certain someone has trouble. By the time you come back, I'll have the paperwork done and you can officially be free of Sickbay.” She cleared her throat. “I'd like to keep Vosh here until you return.”

“Why?”

“I'd like to do an exam and clear her at the same time, so you can all leave together.”

“All right.” Kevin looked at Vosh and began explaining, but she stopped him. An abbreviated gesture made him raise his eyebrows.

“Uh, okay,” he said slowly. “We won't be gone long.”

“What did she say?” Brian asked.

“That she understood what Aleta had said, and agreed to stay behind.”

“And what part of that surprised you?”

“Both,” Kevin admitted. “But mostly that she agreed to the exam. She refused earlier.”

“Maybe she's more comfortable around everyone now,” he said.

“Maybe,” he said. “Come on, let's take a hike before the doc here changes her mind.”

Aleta laughed and walked the pair to the doorway. Once they had gone, she turned to the small alien, who was regarding her with an even, penetrating gaze.

“Vosh,” she said, “I know how you feel about privacy, but I'm hoping you'll let me examine you. I really want to check out the extent of the damage from the... the assault.”

When she got only a blink in response, she tried to make her message clearer. Adding pantomime to her words, she began again.

“When you were in the cell,” she said slowly, “someone attacked you. Tore your uniform at the shoulder... hit you across the face.”

Ever so slowly, Vosh nodded.

“Was it just one man?”

Vosh tilted her head and considered. She held up one finger.

“One,” Aleta repeated, glad to hear there wasn't more to the terrible story than she'd guessed. “All right. Now, have you seen him since?”

At Vosh's frown, she tried again. “Have you recognized- no. If you saw him again...” She sighed. “Can you remember what he looks like?”

A dark expression crossed the alien woman's face. She gave a curt nod.

“I know this is difficult,” the doctor continued. “I just want to help you. I want to see justice done, that man should pay for what he did.” She rubbed at her temple. “You'll be going with Kevin and the others to the Parrin tomorrow, so I'll send a personnel file transmission over there. You'll be able to look through the crew's pictures and pick him out, hopefully.”

Silver-gray eyes didn't register comprehension, but Aleta didn't try to make the latest comments understood. Kevin would be able to explain it...

Then a thought hit. Kevin didn't know about the assault. She was certain of that... as protective as he was of Vosh, he would have gone ballistic at the news. He'd never asked about her handprint-shaped bruise... but then again, he wasn't exactly thinking clearly yet. Now, she was faced with a huge problem. What would she do when he found out the truth? What would he do?

She groaned. He was doing as well as could be expected, but while he was recovering physically, they hadn't begun to deal with his mental and emotional states. This was just one more thing he shouldn't have to handle.

A feather-like touch brought her thoughts back to Sickbay. Vosh was looking at her in concern. She made a sign, slowly. From the accompanying expression, Aleta guessed what she'd said.

“What's wrong is I don't think Kevin knows about you... what happened. The attack.”

A firm shake of her head. Then, Vosh put a hand over her mouth.

“I know, but he's going to find out one way or another. Maybe it's best if I just told him before-”

A hand shot out and gripped her arm. Vosh stared at her intently, and shook her head 'no' once again. She carefully made a sign and waited.

“I'm sorry, I don't understand that one.”

Vosh repeated it, but it still didn't make sense. After a moment, Vosh tried another approach. She pointed to herself, and made a quick movement. Then she pointed to Aleta, and made a different, but similar one. She pointed to the uniform sitting in the box on the bed, and made a tall gesture... and a sign. The same sign she'd started with.

The light clicked on.

“Do you mean Kevin? That's the sign for his name?”

Yes.

Vosh pointed to herself and made a sign slowly.

“Your name. Vosh.”

Yes.

“And mine?”

Vosh demonstrated, watching as Aleta awkwardly made the motions herself a second later.

Yes.

“Okay, I think I got it.”

Vosh made the sign for Kevin, and added to it with a dramatic expression. This time, Aleta understood right away.

“Pain.” She got a nod. “I know Kevin will hurt,” she said. “But he's going to hurt even more if he finds out it was kept from him.”

No!

“He'll find out.”

At that, Vosh paused. Something unreadable flickered in her eyes for a moment. She struggled with a decision, then looked squarely at Aleta.

Kevin... Vosh... she signed. Then she touched her lips with her fingertips and made an outward motion.

“You want to tell him?” Aleta guessed.

Yes.

She sighed. “I suppose it is your right,” she said. “And I have to uphold your privacy. So I'll leave it to you to let him know.” She shifted gears. “Now, to the matter at hand. I'd like to check you out physically. I know you heal fast, but I need to know the extent of the damage.”

No hurt, came the message.

“I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you asking me not to hurt you? Or are you saying that you don't hurt any more?”

The smaller woman frowned. She glanced around the room, then walked over to a counter. Retrieving an object, she came back to stand in front of Aleta. When she had her full attention, she acted.

Taking the pair of scissors in her hand, Vosh made a quick slash across her left forearm before the doctor realized what she intended to do. With a cry of alarm, Aleta started forward, but Vosh stepped backwards just as fast. When the alien had her full attention, she signed slowly.

No hurt.

Holding her injured arm up for Aleta to see, Vosh focused on the cut. The flow of blood stopped almost at once, and the injury began to knit together. A minute later, Vosh wiped the blood away on a cloth and held her arm up for inspection.

Aleta was still in semi-shock from the incident, but her curiosity compelled her to look. There was utterly no trace of the wound whatsoever... it had been completely healed. With hazel eyes wide in wonder, she said, “That was incredible.”

Vosh waited expectantly, and Aleta finally understood.

“There are no lasting injuries from your attack,” she said, “because you healed yourself.”

Yes.

“But you still look pale,” Aleta said.

She placed a hand on her stomach, then pantomimed putting food in her mouth.

“Ah, you're hungry... of course. I would imagine that you need to refuel after any kind of healing... and meals have been sporadic at best.” Before Vosh could ask, she continued. “Sorry. Kevin and Brian should be back in a few minutes, would you like to go and eat with them? Can you wait?”

After a moment, Vosh nodded. “Good. I'm still on duty, so I can't join you. But I'll request that a meal be sent to where the Parrin crew bunks. Although Kevin is stronger, I don't think he's up to seeing a ton of people in the dining hall just yet.”

Kevin, Vosh... she signed. Then a new gesture. She indicated a light overhead, and touched the end of her hair.

Aleta was baffled.

Vosh repeated the sequence, but to no avail. After several more tries, she changed subjects. Picking up the scissors again, she held them up.

The doctor was slightly alarmed, but relaxed when she got the new message Vosh was sending.

“You want me to cut your hair?” Aleta said.

Yes.

“But I'm not really-”

Yes.

“One of the ship's crew cut Kevin's hair earlier, wouldn't you like to have it done professionally?”

Vosh ruminated over the words. Finally she gave a tentative nod.

“Good. I can make a call and arrange it.” A sound came from the other room, interrupting their conversation. “Kevin?” she called, expecting the pair had returned.

“Sorry, it's just me, Howie,” came the answer. He stepped into view.

“Hi,” Aleta said. “You just missed Kevin and Brian, they're on a quick walking tour of the ship. I was about to officially release him and Vosh from Sickbay.”

Howie smiled. “That's great news,” he said.

“Yeah, no one really likes hanging around here,” she sighed dramatically, then grinned.

“Oh, I don't know,” Howie said, “Sickbay does have its perks.”

Aleta paused, her eyebrows raised slightly at his words. “Is... that a line?”

“Well, ah...” he answered, cheeks beginning to redden.

“It sounds like something AJ would say,” she continued.

“No, it's not a line,” he stammered. “I meant it as a compliment. You know, that it's not so bad having to be here if you're here too.” He looked away.

“That's sweet of you to say, Howie,” she answered. “Thank you.” When he looked up, she said, “You know I hope to be spending a lot more time with you... all of you... once we get home. It's nice to know I'm appreciated.”

“You are... I mean, I do. Uh...” He stopped, not sure what to say. Some communications officer you are! he thought. Good grief!

Aleta laughed, her hazel eyes sparkling. “That's okay, I understand what you meant. If you'll excuse me, I need to see about getting Vosh's hair cut.”

“Of course,” he said, stepping aside when she headed for her office.

He turned to the small alien, who was watching him with great interest. “I don't think we actually got introduced before. I'm Howard Dorough, the Communications Officer on the Parrin. I'm Brian's second in command...” He stopped at her growing frown. “Right, sorry. I'm Howard... Howie to my friends.”

Vosh held out a hand like she had seen the others do, and he shook it. Then, she concentrated and croaked out, “H'wi.” Pointing to herself, she said, “V'sh.”

He smiled: it seemed to brighten the room. His warm gaze was genuine, and she relaxed; this was one of K'vn's friends, perhaps someone she could begin to trust.

“I'm glad to see you up and about... Kevin too. Aleta says his hand is all cured now, thanks to you.” He shook his head. “I don't understand how you did it... but I'm grateful. Thank you.”

She tilted her head slightly, focusing on the few words she understood. His voice was smooth and liquid; like K'vn's and Br'n's, it was pleasurable to the ear.

“I still can't believe he's back... I'd given up hope a long time ago. The only one that had faith was Brian. Why, I can't fathom. But none of that matters now, he's here and safe... and so are you.” He gave a small smile. “And you probably understand next to nothing I'm saying.”

She responded by making a series of fluid gestures, which left him confused.

“I'm sorry, I-”

“She said she understands your smile,” came Kevin's voice from behind.

Howie turned to greet his friend but paused when he saw the fatigue and slight traces of pain on Kevin's face. He was leaning heavily on Brian's shoulder.

“It's his knee,” Brian provided before Howie could ask.

“I was fine until I moved it wrong stepping on to that platform,” Kevin protested.

“Uh huh. So you were what, practicing your limp in advance?”

Kevin flushed. He hobbled over to a chair and sat down, mumbling something.

“What was that?” Brian said pointedly.

“I said, I didn't think you noticed.”

“You were supposed to use a walking cane,” Aleta said, joining the group. “Don't tell me you forgot it.”

“I didn't think I needed it,” came the sullen reply.

“We can't do anything about that knee until we get back home,” she reminded him. “Would you like some pain killers?”

“No-”

“Yes,” Brian said, cutting him off.

Aleta crossed her arms. “You need to get some rest tonight, at the very least,” she said. “You are making a major public appearance tomorrow morning, and then going over to the Parrin. If you don't have the pain under control, you won't rest.”

“I don't want to be knocked out or loopy,” Kevin said.

“I can give you a dose just large enough to take the edge off if you want.”

“Well...”

Yes, came Vosh's clear sign. She stared into Kevin's emerald eyes and held his gaze. Yes.

“All right,” he finally relented. “But just the minimum amount.”

A minute later, Kevin's expression eased as the pain faded a good deal. He gave his thanks to the doctor, took the cane she offered, and stood carefully.

“Captain,” he said, turning to the blond, “lead the way. I'm ready to roll.”

“I've ordered a meal delivered to your suite,” Aleta said. “My official recommendation is to spend a quiet, restful evening with your crew, get plenty of sleep, and be ready to go tomorrow morning.”

“That sounds good to me,” he agreed.

“Then get going. Oh, and Vosh will have a visitor in about half an hour, someone is coming to trim her hair.”

At that, Vosh tapped the doctor on the arm. Kevin, she signed. Vosh. Another familiar sign: Aleta. Then she repeated the sign that hadn't been understood earlier. She pointed to the lights overhead, then to her hair, and finally to Brian.

“That's Brian's sign?” the doctor guessed. “But what does that have to do-”

Kevin gave a slight smile. “She's referring to his hair... it's light, not dark. She seemed fascinated with it earlier.”

“So name signs are sort of a reflection of who she sees that person as,” Howie guessed.

“Yes, as far as I can tell. Her own name, I found out, incorporates the gesture for healing.”

“That's why her name sign and mine are similar,” Aleta said.

“Yes.”

“What's my name sign, then?” Howie asked. “Or do I even have one?”

Kevin turned to Vosh. “Howie,” he said.

She made a succinct gesture that made him grin. “If I'm understanding it right, she combined the word 'handsome' and 'smile' to get your name.”

Howie looked surprised, then blushed.

“She's pretty perceptive, isn't she?” Aleta asked.

At her remark, Howie's color deepened.

“Good grief, Aleta,” Brian teased, “have mercy. Howie isn't used to such praise from the ladies.”

“Really? Well, he should be,” Aleta said, surprising everyone. “Now, all of you, out of my Sickbay. The rest of you might be on vacation, but I've got a ton of paperwork ahead of me tonight.”

Brian led the way, with Kevin and Vosh close behind. Howie, in somewhat of a daze, followed the rest, not saying a word the entire way back to their quarters.

~*~

Nick looked up from his sketchbook when he heard the outer suite door open. AJ, who had been playing yet another game of solitaire, put down his cards and leaned back.

“Well, it's about time,” he said. “I thought the doc was going to release you two hours ago.”

“We're here now,” Kevin said, moving to a chair and sinking down. “Thank goodness.”

“If we hurry, we can catch dinner in the main hall,” Nick said. “I'm practically starving to death.”

“Meal's being sent here,” Brian said. “And you're a long ways from starving.”

“So D,” AJ said, eying off the distracted Comm officer, “did you run into a wall or what?”

“Huh? Oh, no,” Howie said, blinking.

“Aleta gave him a compliment,” Brian said, smirking. “There will be no living with him now.”

AJ leaned forward with interest. “Did you use that line I gave you? About there being perks to being confined to Sickbay?”

“Yeah, kind of.” Howie frowned. “She told me it sounded like something you would say.”

His eyebrows arched. “Really?”

“She knows all your tricks, Aje,” Brian said. “Remember, she was a first-hand witness for nearly a year.”

“I dunno, I thought it was a great line,” AJ muttered.

“Well, she did give Howie a compliment afterwards, like I said,” Brian continued. “Of course, Vosh started it all when she called Howie handsome.”

He glanced towards Vosh with a smile, but it quickly vanished when he saw the look on her face. She was staring at AJ with wide, fearful eyes, looking as if she were ready to turn and run at the slightest movement.

“Kev?” he said in a low voice, not wanting to startle her.

Kevin looked up, then saw Vosh. He immediately stood.

“What's wrong?” he asked at once.

Vosh didn't reply, but a visible tremble passed through her body.

“What did I do?” AJ asked, confused. “Why is she looking at me like that?”

“I don't know,” Kevin said. “Vosh,” he said, stepping closer, “it's just AJ, he's a friend.”

She took a step backwards, pressing against the doorway.

Look at me,” Kevin demanded. “Vosh!”

Somehow, she managed to wrench her gaze away from the confused man and glanced at Kevin.

“Explain,” he said. His voice brooked no argument.

Her complexion paled even further and she shook her head. She moved so she touched the door, which opened automatically behind her. Turning, she fled the Suite, running blindly into the corridor.

“Damn it,” Kevin exclaimed, starting for the door.

“Wait,” Brian said. “Let me. Right now I'm faster than you are. I'll find her.” Without waiting for a reply, he ran after the alien.

AJ, shaken from the entire incident, swallowed heavily. “She seemed terrified of me,” he said. “What... why?”

“I don't know,” Kevin said, truly confused. “I've never seen her scared like that.”

“But... she's seen me before, when we all met at the prison cell. Why didn't she have some kind of reaction then?”

Howie said, “I don't think she was paying much attention to the rest of us, she was so involved with Kevin.”

The tall man ran a hand through his hair. “She didn't even react that way to the Enemy,” he said. “With them, it was anger, not fear.”

“Brian'll find her, and when she calms down a bit, you can talk to her in a friendly way,” Howie said. “Quite frankly, I don't think your demanding an explanation helped the situation.”

Kevin sighed. “You're right, it... it just took me by surprise.” He sat down again. “I thought all the fear and anguish was behind us, once we escaped.”

“Maybe AJ looks like someone who hurt her before,” Nick said in a quiet voice.

Three pairs of eyes snapped towards him.

“I mean, that would explain it,” he continued. “Sure, it couldn't have been AJ, but...”

Kevin shook his head. “I saw most of the prisoners on the O'mosk,” he said. “None looked anything like AJ. And the Enemy sure didn't look human.”

“Well, maybe it was before you were taken prisoner,” Nick said. “Or maybe it happened after you got here.”

Kevin felt his blood grow cold at the simple statement. “What... Nick, what do you mean, after we got here?”

Nick's face lost a little bit of color. He cleared his throat and said, “You know, the attack. In the prison cell. Maybe whoever hurt her looked a little like AJ.”

~*~

Brian was quick, but whatever fear propelled Vosh made her faster. His first decision as to which direction to take was solved by a rather puzzled crewmember frowning down an empty hallway.

“Which way?” Brian asked as he approached.

The man pointed to the right, and Brian ran past him, calling a thanks as he went by. He tried to think of where a scared person, unfamiliar with the ship, might end up. He knew the basic layout of the vessel, but it didn't really help. Wondering how he would find her, he turned a corner just as his eye caught movement. Had he been a split second later, he would have missed it.

Kicking his pace into high gear, grateful for the physical training he did daily, the young Captain sped down the corridor. When he rounded a final turn, he saw her at last.

She was facing a dead end; the only forward access was through a keyed doorway. Thus cornered, he slowed his pace, knowing she wouldn't be going anywhere. He approached cautiously, hoping he wouldn't make the situation worse.

Vosh spun around, her face pale and her eyes wide with panic. She tensed, seeing Brian approach, but didn't bolt.

“You sure know how to run,” Brian said as his breath evened out. “Vosh, I'm not going to hurt you. I want to help.”

She looked over his shoulder, but quickly locked back on his face. He could see the effort it took for her to stay in one place.

“That's it,” he said in a low, comforting voice. “Whatever spooked you, it's all right.” He held up his hands. “See, I'm just here to help. Okay?”

Once again she looked behind him, then back again with uncertainty.

“Now, I know we are going to have a hard time understanding one another, but we have to try.”

Gray eyes conveyed her apprehension.

“Vosh,” he tried again, “I know Kevin is better than me at this, but his knee wouldn't let him follow you. So I came, to try and help.”

At Kevin's name, a spark of interest flickered across her face. Her stance relaxed slightly, and Brian continued.

“We'll take it slow,” he said, stepping towards her cautiously. When she didn't protest, he drew near.

“I won't let anything happen to you,” he said. “I promise. Okay?”

A tentative yes.

“Good. Now, how about we go somewhere and sit down, so we can figure this out a bit?” He held out a hand, which she studied warily.

“It'll be all right,” he said. He could feel the tremble in her touch when she put her hand in his a moment later. Ignoring it, he gave her a smile.

“Come on, there's a small break lounge down the way... better than standing in the corridor, right? We can sit down and catch our breath.”

She let him lead her down the hall, but when they made a left hand turn, she stopped. He saw the fear had returned to her face and guessed at the problem.

“No, we aren't going back to the Suite until you want to. I promise.”

It took her nearly half a minute but she finally gave a reluctant nod and moved forward once again.

By the time the pair reached the tiny break room, Brian felt he had won a major battle. Luckily they were alone, and he walked her to the small couch.

“Okay, now let's try to figure out what shook you so badly. Just to be sure... was it Nick?”

She blinked.

“Did Nick scare you? He's the tall one, with blond hair-”

She reached up and indicated his own light strands.

“Yeah, like mine,” Brian said. “Were you afraid of him?”

She frowned, then shook her head no.

“It was the other person... AJ.”

With wide eyes, she nodded, and her fingers flew in quick, intricate patterns. The only thing Brian understood was her distress.

“Whoa, hang on there. Maybe Kev can understand that stuff, but I'm new at it. We have to do this the slow way. Okay?”

She swallowed, then gave a tentative nod.

“Okay. So AJ scared you... or something about him did. Do you remember seeing him earlier?”

She nodded, then paused, and shook her head.

“Hmm. Let me rephrase that... Did you see AJ in the prison cell?”

Vosh frowned in thought, then gave an uncertain no in answer. She qualified it with a wavering hand.

“So you might have seen him but didn't pay attention, right?”

Yes, a little more certain.

“How about in Sickbay?”

No.

“The first time you really saw AJ, looked at his face, was in the Suite.”

She paled slightly. Yes. Then the frown returned, and with it a few more gestures.

Brian thought for a minute. “He looks like someone you know. Or knew. If you've never seen him before, that's got to be it. I've served alongside him since the war began, and there's no way he could have met you unless you were somewhere other than the Enemy ship.”

Vosh blinked. Concentrating, she mulled the words over.

Encouraged, Brian continued. “So it's not really AJ, our AJ, that you were so scared of. It can't be.”

She bit her lip as the logic seemed to penetrate her emotions.

“AJ would never hurt you. I know that. He's one of the best fighters we have, but only against the Enemy. And after we found out you saved Kevin's life, helped him escape... I know AJ would do anything to protect you.”

Vosh stood, deep in thought. She paced back and forth, struggling with it all. At last she turned to Brian and signed emphatically. Her silent speech lasted nearly half a minute.

“Ah, right. Darlin', I didn't understand a single thing you said, but at least we're making progress.” He stood and held out a hand. She took it, looking at him expectantly.

“You understand it can't be AJ you are afraid of, right?”

A hesitant yes.

“When you and Kevin escaped the Enemy ship, in the pod, where was it going?”

She seemed to understand. With a large circular gesture, she indicated a sphere, a planet. Another few signs accompanied it.

“Near... it was supposed to go to the nearest planet.”

Yes.

“But it was only meant for one person.”

Yes.

“It was headed for the planet, but you had no control over it. With the extra weight, it was worse.”

She blinked, realizing the truth of it. With a puzzled stare, she waited.

“We heard your signal... Kevin's ident code. You sent it, right?”

Yes...

“We tried to catch the pod... it was AJ that took a small ship out to tow you in. He caught it before it burned in the planet's atmosphere, but the Enemy ship self destructed, and he had to let it go.”

He watched as she digested the words. “He was able to tow you far enough that the pod was saved... but we couldn't rescue it. Our ship was too small. We had to get this ship, the Sealk, to retrieve. She had the equipment, and the space to take it aboard.” He waited until she met his gaze. “Vosh, it was AJ that saved you and Kevin. If he hadn't stopped the pod from hitting the atmosphere, you would have burned up on re-entry.”

Kevin... Vosh... she signed slowly.

“Would be dead, if not for what AJ did. Yes.”

As realization hit the small alien, Brian watched her intently.

She made a few more signs: clearly a question, but he had no idea what. Before he could speak, however, she frowned and dismissed her words with a gesture.

Kevin, she signed.

“Yeah, I'm afraid he'll have to take it from here.”

Although the fear had dimmed behind her eyes, hesitation was still there.

“We're going to have to go back,” Brian said. “Once you talk to Kevin, I'm sure things will be all right. Then you can meet AJ and see that he's nothing to be afraid of.”

She shivered, ever so slightly. He knew she understood. A small beep sounded, and he glanced at his comm unit on his wrist.

“Littrell,” he said after activating it.

“Excuse me, Captain,” said an unfamiliar female voice, “but this is Marta Griers, Dr. Simpson sent for me. I arrived at the suite but they told me my client had... left for a while.”

“Oh, you mean the haircut for Vosh?”

“Yes, sir.”

“We've had a bit of a misunderstanding. Is it possible for you to come to...” he looked around, “the small breakroom on F corridor west?”

“Of course, sir,” the woman said. “I'll be there in just a minute. Griers, out.”

He turned to Vosh. “Did you understand?”

Yes.

“Good,” he said. “When we're done here, we can go back.” Hopefully, in a much calmer frame of mind, he added mentally.

The groomer, the same one who had worked on Kevin it seemed, was chatty and efficient. Vosh sat as still as stone the entire time, letting the woman choose what to do. It didn't take long, and when the woman stepped back, Brian nodded in approval.

“Looks great,” he said, truthfully.

“Thank you, sir,” the groomer said. “Unfortunately I had to trim a lot off because of damage... but it should grow back fast.” She turned to Vosh. “Here,” she said, handing over a small hand mirror. “What do you think?”

Vosh took the object carefully, unsure what to do. Marta smiled, and held it up properly. The look on Vosh's face, when she saw her own reflection, made Brian smile.

Her eyes widened, and she blinked several times. Then, she reached up and touched the smooth glass surface. Only after a few moments of further study did she actually regard her hair. Reaching up, she touched the side strands, seeing her double in the mirror. A look of mixed emotions crossed her face.

“It'll grow back,” Marta said confidently. “And trust me, you look wonderful.”

Vosh glanced at Brian, who nodded in agreement to Marta's statement. That seemed to do the trick, and the slight despair vanished.

“Thank you,” he said sincerely.

“Oh, my pleasure,” the woman said, gathering her tools. “And good luck.”

With that, the two found themselves alone again.

“Well, I think it's time. Ready?”

Vosh gave a silent sigh, and nodded. Brian was surprised when she reached out and clasped his hand, but he didn't mind at all. Together, they walked slowly back to the suite.

~*~

Howie's hand flew out and stopped Kevin just before he punched the wall.

“Vosh went through a lot to heal that hand,” Howie said sharply. “Don't throw it away.”

Kevin twisted free and let out a string of vehement curses. Howie ignored the tirade, keeping an eye on the angry man.

AJ watched the oldest pace furiously back and forth across the main area of the suite, flinching when Kevin kicked at a chair. From the new round of expletives, he knew the action hadn't helped the damaged knee any.

“You want to give it a rest now?” Howie said. “Just because you can walk on that knee, doesn't mean you should.”

A heated glare was the only answer.

“Look,” AJ said, “Brian's going to be coming back soon, no doubt. Is this the state you want Vosh to find you in? It's bad enough she was scared to death of me. Don't need to have her afraid of you as well.”

That, at last, captured Kevin's attention.

“Why didn't someone tell me about this before now?” he demanded. “Why didn't Vosh tell me?”

“Probably because of this exact reaction,” Howie said in a hard voice.

“Has anything been done? What about-”

“Aleta tried to get some answers,” Nick said in a small voice. “She even went to Captain Miles, but it didn't do a whole lot of good. As a prisoner, her rights didn't seem to matter much.”

“Vosh isn't the-”

“Kev, we know,” Howie interjected. “There's nothing we can do about it now.”

“The hell there isn't,” Kevin declared. “Vosh can identify whoever it was, and-”

“What are you going to do, demand an answer from her? Obviously she chose not to tell you.” Howie let the sentence hang in the air for a moment. “She has her reasons, Kev. And the last thing she needs right now is more anger.”

“If one of my sisters was attacked,” Nick said, swallowing hard, “the last thing I'd want to do is upset her further. She needs understanding, not anger. Howie's right.”

Kevin clenched his jaw, but knew his friends spoke truly. Throwing his hands up in defeat, he uttered a few more curses before sinking down into a chair. Leaning forward, he put his head in his hands and remained motionless for nearly a minute.

“What's wrong with me?” he whispered painfully. “Damn it, you're right. All of you. I just... I don't know.”

Howie took the seat next to him and carefully put a hand on his shoulder. “What's wrong with you?” he repeated softly. “Kev, you've been a prisoner of war for half a year. You barely got out alive. Vosh is someone important to you, and now you discover she'd been attacked in a place you thought was safe. Your whole life has been turned upside down once again... that's what's wrong. No one expects this to be easy... it's going to take time. We all understand that.”

“But you guys are the last ones I should be taking it out on,” he said in a low voice.

“We aren't going anywhere,” Howie continued. “We all are going to have to make a new start, and being together is the answer, I think.”

AJ nodded, adding his agreement. Then Nick said, “I guess none of us really understands what you've gone through... maybe nobody does. But that doesn't mean we're going to turn our backs.”

Kevin looked up, seeing the genuine concern on his friends' faces. It had been so long since he'd seen human compassion and caring that he nearly lost emotional control. With a great effort, he pushed it all back and managed to speak in a shaky, but heartfelt voice.

“I honestly didn't expect to be alive at this point,” he said. “This... having your support... is beyond my wildest dreams. I...” He paused. “Thanks.”

The suite door chimed, and all four men looked towards it.

“Maybe that's Brian and Vosh now,” Howie said.

“He would just come in,” AJ said, moving to the door. “Hang on.”

Five minutes later, the main table was ladened with covered dishes and wonderful smells swirled through the air. The food service personnel bid their good-byes and left the four practically drooling in response.

“Man, we never got this good stuff before,” Nick said, peeking under a dome.

“Are you kidding? Kevin's a hero, I imagine it's going to be like this from now on,” AJ said, grinning.

“At least I'm good for something,” Kevin said with a slight smile.

Howie rejoiced at the attempt at humor. It was a definite positive sign.

“If this is the way you're going to be treated, I'm never leaving your side!” Nick said, stealing a nibble from another dish.

“I see,” Kevin said. “It's all about the perks, right?”

“Right!” both AJ and Nick chimed at once.

Howie laughed, and a good measure of light came back to Kevin's eyes.

~*~

 

Seven by Louise

 

Brian paused outside the Suite door. “You okay with this?” he asked.

Yes, came the nod. There was a look of resolve on Vosh's face.

“Onward, then,” Brian said with a smile. He keyed the door and, with a quiet swish, it opened.

Laughter met their ears a second before the alluring smells of food registered.

“Hope you saved some for us,” Brian called as he and Vosh came into view of the main room.

“Haven't started yet,” Howie said. “You're just in time.”

Kevin stood and greeted the pair. Then, focusing on the small woman, he said, “Are you all right?”

She hesitated for a bare second, then nodded. She turned to face AJ, who was waiting quietly. Although her eyes widened, she didn't display the measure of fear she had earlier. With what was obviously a great effort, she stepped closer to him, licking her lips in nervousness. Her eyes studied his face with much intensity, and she shook her head slightly. She signed a short sentence.

“Kev?” Brian asked.

“She asked if he was real,” came the confused answer. “He's real,” Kevin said to Vosh.

She reached up cautiously, then stopped her hand in mid-air. She was waiting for permission.

“I think she wants to touch you, AJ,” he said.

“Sure,” AJ said slowly.

Vosh understood, and, after a moment, continued. When her fingertips gently brushed the side of his face, her eyes widened further and she pulled her hand back as if she'd been shocked. When AJ didn't move, however, she reached up and touched him again. This time, her fingers skimmed along his jawline, then across his cheek. She withdrew and regarded him with wonder.

“Well,” he said a moment later, “that was better than the last time she saw me.”

“Vosh?” Kevin asked in a gentle voice.

She turned to him and gestured.

“Yes, he's real... like I said,” Kevin answered with a puzzled frown. At her next statement, he said, “Of course he's alive.”

She launched into a long, elaborate melange of signs and gestures. Although Kevin tried his best to keep up, she quickly outpaced his ability to translate.

“No, wait... you lost me. Go again, slower,” he said.

She tried, but he realized there were many signs he simply didn't recognize.

“I'm sorry, but I only understand a little bit.”

She stopped, considering. A look of sadness crossed her face and she dropped her hands.

“No, don't give up,” Kevin said. “Can you give me just the basics for now?”

Although there wasn't much energy behind her signing any longer, she did as requested. At last, Kevin understood the gist of her message.

“Well, AJ, it seems you look exactly like someone she once knew. From 'long ago before'... I assume she means before we met. When she first saw you here, and got a good look at your face, she thought she was seeing a dead person. A ghost, as it were.”

“A ghost? No wonder she was scared,” said Nick.

“That's why she asked if I was real,” AJ said.

“Yeah. But there's a lot more to this than I can understand... this person was someone special, or significant, to her. And she feels that because of something she did wrong... what, I don't have a clue... that seeing him would be her fault.” Kevin shook his head. “The rest is beyond me.”

Vosh simply stared down at the floor, her shoulders slumped. AJ spoke softly to her.

“So you're not afraid of me any more, right?” he asked. “You know I'm no ghost.”

She raised her sliver-gray eyes and nodded.

“Then we're okay?”

Yes, she signed. Then she asked a question, which Kevin definitely understood.

“She wants to know your true name.”

“My true name? Everyone calls me AJ,” he said, “but it comes from Alex James.”

Vosh tilted her head and, after a slight pause, nodded. “Al'x,” she rasped awkwardly. Then made a sign.

Kevin's lips curved into a smile. “That he is, Vosh. That he is.” To the rest of the group, he said, “AJ's name sign is, essentially, 'full of life'.”

“Truer than she realizes,” teased Howie.

“Can we eat now?” came Nick's voice, a mix of desperation and pleading.

Brian snorted. “Yes, yes, let's eat before the poor boy starves to death,” he said melodramatically.

“Hey,” Nick said defensively, “I'm a growing boy, I need my nutrition!”

“You keep eating the way you do,” AJ said, “and you'll be as round as you are tall.”

“At least I won't be skinny and scrawny like some people I know,” Nick said with a smirk.

“I'm not scrawny, I'm fit, and-”

“Guys,” Kevin said, bemused. “Save it.”

Howie looked at Vosh, who was watching the exchange with a neutral expression. “Don't mind them, Vosh,” he said. “They're always like that.”

She simply nodded.

He pulled out a chair for her, but only got a confused expression in return. He smiled and said, “Please have a seat.” After a few seconds, she seemed to understand, and did as requested.

Soon everyone was seated and dishes were uncovered as murmurs of appreciation echoed across the table. Plates began to quickly fill... all but one.

Howie noticed an odd expression on the oldest's face; Kevin hadn't reached for a single thing. He considered it for a moment, then said, “Something wrong?”

Kevin didn't answer right away. Then, in a quiet voice, he said, “We didn't see this much food in a month.”

The others looked up.

“What you have on your plate, Howie, would have been a week's worth of food for me. If that.” His focus was far away.

Nick guiltily lowered his fork.

Then, Kevin shook his head. “Sorry,” he said roughly. “It's just hard getting used to everything again.”

“It's okay,” Brian reassured him. “One step at a time.” He brandished a piece of bread. “Dig in, everyone.”

Kevin gave him a look of thanks and reached for a nearby dish. It was then he noticed the solemn woman across the table. Oddly enough, her focus wasn't on the group or the food, it was on the fork she held in her hand. Rather than ask right away, he opted to observe her.

She studied the object with great scrutiny, turning it slightly back and forth to catch the light. She pressed the tines as if measuring their strength and sharpness, then traced the pattern on the handle with a fingertip. He watched as her glance slid over to Brian.

It was then that he realized she was unfamiliar with the utensil. Of course, they were never given eating implements on the Enemy ship; meals were either a sluggish soupy mixture that had to be sipped from bowls, or tasteless rubbery rectangles that were eaten by hand. Could a fork, such a commonplace item, be foreign to her? He realized that it was possible; many primitive cultures back home had thrived for thousands of years without them.

He watched as Vosh studied how Brian held his own fork, and she placed her own in a similar position. But when it came to actually using it, mimicking the other's movement didn't help. She tried several more times, a frustrated frown growing as the food fell back to her plate instead of reaching her mouth.

Kevin felt an urge to laugh, but knew he didn't dare. She was trying so hard...

Finally, Vosh gripped the fork in her fist and jabbed at a potato wedge. The look of triumph on her face when she lifted the piece made Kevin grin, but he quickly glanced away before she found him spying.

He felt himself relaxing, his earlier tension over the food gone. Yes, it would take some time getting back into the swing of things... but at least they were familiar things. If Vosh could try and adapt to a completely alien environment, surely he could fit back into the life he'd left.

He added more food to his plate and began eating in earnest.

~*~

It had been a day of surprises, both good and bad. V'sh let the quietness of the room envelop her, hoping it would calm her whirling thoughts. She was finally alone; the others had gone to their sleeping places, giving her a chance to reflect upon the latest happenings.

She touched the fine material that covered her arm and remembered how astonished she'd been when Er'n had gifted her with the clothes. Never in her life had she seen such beautiful, soft cloth; that it had been given freely was a wonderment. Truly, all in this place wore items of clothing that she could only marvel at. So many colors and textures, and all for different purposes. K'vn had shown her a special outfit, one that he took great pride in. It was something from his past, from before he had become a prisoner. Br'n had been keeping it in hopes of K'vn's return... a symbol of hope and faith, it seemed. She knew K'vn had doubted that anyone cared for him, thought about him, while he was with the Enemy. Now, he knew his thoughts were untrue.

She had seen the others' eyes watching K'vn, caught their looks of happiness and concern. They were his family, and through them he would be able to find his place once more. She was sure of it. They could give him what she never could... but that was as it should be. Her time for belonging was long since gone. Now, it was his time.

It had been a true shock when she saw T'rrn... or who she thought was the Sender. In an instant, her highest fear seemed to have come true. It had been one of her greatest misgivings, her greatest regrets... and in her confusion, she did not see clearly. Turning and fleeing like a child, she had sought to escape her failure.

But Br'n had come after her, speaking reason and gentleness. He had been patient, trying hard to understand. His smile, and the caring in his remarkable eyes, had touched her deepest spirit. It was easy to understand how K'vn could love him so.

He spoke truth, untangling her emotions and helping her to see clearly. She realized that she had acted foolishly, but he didn't condemn her for it. None had, not even Al'x.

It still was uncomfortable to see T'rrn's likeness each time she looked at him; each glance brought forth long-buried memories. But while she was still uneasy, she realized that the two were quite different. Al'x was full of enthusiasm, energetic and given to humor and jest. T'rrn had been quiet, more contemplative, a constant source of calm and serenity. Once she had gotten to know Al'x a bit better, the two had become separate in her mind.

She had tried to explain her earlier fear to K'vn, but it was too much for him to comprehend. Although he had gotten the main message, the more important one was lost. It wasn't that she thought she had seen someone from her past... a restless spirit... it was the fact that by all rights, T'rrn should be restless. And that was her fault.

Theirs had been the last circle to be captured; it should have been only her. But when she had fallen, succumbing to the Enemy's cruel trap, the others had come to her aid. Unfortunately, the damage had been done, and the Enemy's treacherous ways had imprisoned them all. One by one, the others had met their ends... all but she and T'rrn. And when he had suffered greatly, she hadn't been able to ease his pain to any true degree; her own Healing had prevented it. So while she recovered, he had diminished, until he finally lost his hold on life. And that is where her greatest failure had occurred.

She had not been able to set his spirit to rest; she could not speak the Words, could not do what had to be done to assure peace eternal. Although she had tried her best, she knew it was not adequate. So, of all her people, he was the only one not to be given the rites. As a Sender of the Dead, surely he understood how important it was to set the spirit on the proper way. She was sure he realized he would become one of the Lost.

The day she had been injured, so long ago, she had lost more than her ability to speak and sing. It had been the beginning of the end... of her way of life, of her people, of her entire world. Much later, when T'rrn died, she lost the last bit of Home she knew. She had recovered, physically, in the Great Ship, although she wished many times that she had not. She hadn't understood why she was not tortured and killed as the others had been. The Enemy performed many tests and trials on her; then, she had ceased to interest them. Why, she did not know. But the Cold had come, then... taking away all awareness and forcing her into a deep and unmoving sleep.

When she had awoken, the Enemy was at war with another people. She recognized none of the Enemy's faces... all were strangers to her. But there were no more tests done; indeed, she seemed to mean nothing to them now. It was then that she had discovered their new purpose for her.

She clenched her jaw as the memories returned. It hadn't taken long for her to realize she was now a 'reward' for captured prisoners. If they gave the Enemy what they wanted, if they exchanged information or knowledge, they would be allowed access to her. And in their anger and frustration, the prisoners did not behave as they once would have; they treated her like she was not a living, thinking being. To them, she became merely an instrument of release, to be discarded or harmed in whatever way they chose. She was the single thing they could control, and they did so with delight.

Because she Healed, the damages did not remain... the physical ones, at least. And as new prisoners were brought onto the Great Ship, the cycle began again. In all that time, there had been only one who was truly different.

He had been captured while injured; even though he had been in great pain, he refused to give the Enemy anything at all. It was her job to bring food to the prisoners, and she had met him that way; she had feared him at first. He was tall, broad and strong, and even injured he could have easily overwhelmed her. She knew the damage he could inflict, and dreaded being given to him.

But he never broke. Although the Enemy harmed him in terrible ways, he did nothing to earn a reward. Then, after many cycles, the Enemy had unexpectedly thrown her into his cell. She thought that perhaps they were offering him a taste of what he would receive if he cooperated. She had stood, expression flat, hands clenched at her sides, waiting for the attack. She never simply gave in; although fighting only delayed the inevitable, she refused to cower.

But he did something that shocked her: he stood, awkwardly, and slowly held out a hand. When she didn't move, he limped closer and began speaking to her in a low, rich voice. There was no ill intent in his tone or his expression, and she grew confused. Finally, for the first time, she looked into his eyes... and found only gentleness in them.

His words made no sense, but he continued talking to her as if she could understand. When she didn't take his hand, he moved back to his cot and sat down, patting a spot next to him. As he spoke, she heard the underlying music in his voice. Notes of loneliness and need intermixed with those of concern and apprehension. But above all, there was kindness.

Of course, she still couldn't trust him. She had learned long ago that prisoners could be clever and manipulative when they had the chance. So she had stayed where she was... and the man had not approached her again.

The Enemy guards had come back for her later; from what she could understand of their speech, they'd been disappointed that the man had not taken the reward as expected. She wasn't surprised when, a while later, they brought her back to his cell a second time to try again.

He never touched her, never approached her in the way she'd expected him to. Instead, he seemed content to talk, using his wonderfully deep and rich voice to express himself. This time, she eventually moved to sit beside him; she received a small, grateful smile in return. But he never physically made contact, something she still didn't understand.

The third time the guards brought her to him, he was in great pain. He managed to sit upright, and offered her a tiny smile, but agony danced behind his eyes. She sat beside him, not knowing what to do. Her instincts made her want to heal him, but she was afraid. The Enemy didn't seem to understand her abilities; for that, she was eternally grateful. But to see him suffering broke her heart. She scanned his cell for hidden Eyes, and saw one in the far corner. Did she dare risk healing him, and having the Enemy discover her talent? No. They could not be allowed to see. She could feel his pain, even though they had not touched; finally, she could stand it no longer. Hoping with all her might that it would work, she took a huge risk. Maybe if they could not see clearly, they would not know...

With her back to the Eye, she knelt in front of him, blocking the Eye's view. When he asked her a question, she simply shook her head. Then, she aligned her energy flow and touched his hip. She worked quickly, sending inquiry tendrils to the gravest damage. There it was, deep inside... he had been injured from blows, and was bleeding in places no blood belonged. She sent a surge of healing energy into him, only half-hearing his gasp of surprise as the tissue began to mend. In moments, his pain had eased, and he relaxed... it made the healing much easier. She knew she could not risk a full healing, but she did what she was able. By the time she leaned back, she could see the difference on his face.

They had held gazes for a long while. She turned, indicating the corner where the Eye rested, and he followed with his eyes. At last, he saw it. She knew from the look on his face that he recognized what it was and what purpose it served.

Then the restoration wave had hit her, and she felt the pull of Sleep. She didn't know how to explain it to the man, so she simply curled up on the floor and let it overtake her.

When she'd woken up later, she found she was still in the same cell; the man was asleep on his cot. When the guards came for her to serve the second meal of the day, he didn't stir. By the time her task was finished, she was surprised when they brought her back to him.

The odd Enemy behavior continued until she finally understood why they kept her in his cell. When she was there, the man talked. Almost constantly. But when he was taken away for questioning, he refused to say much of anything. The Enemy thought that somehow she was influencing him to talk. Perhaps they expected him to speak more freely, to tell them what they wished to know. But by then, she knew better. She knew the man would never cooperate.

She learned his name, and gave him a name-sign which meant 'strength of spirit'; it was a fitting choice. He called himself K'vn, and she gave him her name as best she could. Thus, an alliance was born.

K'vn had never approached her in a physical way; when he discovered her forced interactions with the other prisoners, he'd been shocked, then angered. A part of her was afraid that once he knew, he'd use her as the Enemy had originally intended... but if anything, it made him even more caring and cautious around her.

The pattern of hurt, healing, and trust continued on for countless cycles. She began understanding his words, and teaching him how to communicate with her signs. It was slow going, but they managed to develop a mutual language base. It helped that he was very smart and willing to learn.

Then, the feel of the Great Ship had changed. The Enemy spoke differently... she came to understand that K'vn's people were not easily conquered. They, too, had great and dangerous ships with which to fight, and had taken the Enemy by surprise with their undaunted resistance. Amazingly, the time came when the guards spoke fearfully, their words focused on escape rather than battle. There had been 'ending practice'... she understood that the Enemy planned to destroy their own Ship should they be cornered and unable to gain victory. The shrill, pulsing sound had echoed through the vessel, sending shivers of fear down her spine. She understood that with the Ship's death would come her own. The practice drills became more frequent, and the Enemy seemed to be resolved to end their own existence.

Her own life was long over; her impending death only brought her sadness and regret. But K'vn... his people had fought so hard, had done the seemingly impossible and defeated the Enemy... he deserved to live. He needed to return to his people, to his world; his life had value and meaning. It was for him that she feared. It was not right that he should perish after all he had survived. Slowly, carefully, she began to plan for a way to earn him a second chance.

K'vn was very clever; with small objects she had been able to retrieve, he had managed to build an odd device. He'd explained that it sent out a signal, invisible and unheard to the ear, that would tell his people where he was. It was carefully kept hidden, and he taught her how to send a certain sequence over it. He became subjected to more and more sessions of pain and torture; the Enemy seemed frantic to gain some sort of important information. She knew desperation when she saw it.

During those long times when K'vn was absent, she sent the signal when she could. Although it seemed pointless to her, it was important to him; so, she continued to try. Then, the worst had happened. The guards had flung an unconscious K'vn into the cell, his hand terribly crushed and damaged. She had been yanked out of the cell before she could even approach him; before she knew it, she was thrown in with several other prisoners. The guard had spoken in K'vn's tongue, words which caused the men to react violently. One had simply sank to the floor and wept; one had tried, in vain, to break open the bars of the cell, pulling and pounding until blood ran from his hands. But the other three...

Her coverings... she did not think of them as clothes... had been viciously torn from her body, rough hands grabbing her with even more violence than before. There was a cold, fanatic gleam in their eyes as they moved to hurt her, and she knew she was facing her final moments. Oddly, her thoughts were of K'vn, and how unfair it was that he would never have a real chance.

Then the signal had sounded; the shrill pulsing noise now had another line to accompany it. The guards, who had been watching the prisoners with undisguised glee, simply... froze. It was as if they had instantly gone into a trance. She broke away from her tormentors, taking advantage of their confusion, and rushed to the cell front. Reaching through the bars to the nearest frozen guard, she grabbed his key and quickly, with trembling fingers, unlocked the mechanism of the door. Before the other prisoners understood what she'd done, she bolted down the corridor.

She fled back to K'vn's cell, encountering the frozen Enemy at every passage. Using the keys she still carried, she unlocked his door and rushed inside. He would not rise to full consciousness, no matter what she tried. The signal began to sound louder and faster.

Pushing panic down, she dragged his unmoving form into the corridor, then quickly found the smallest Enemy guard in sight. Repulsed, but knowing it needed to be done, she removed his uniform and covered her naked body. If her plan worked, she would need the extra layer of protection if she were to survive. As a final thought, she retrieved the sending object and pocketed it.

K'vn woke, barely, and she helped pull him to his feet. She struggled to support him as they moved as fast as possible to the escape pod she'd discovered long ago. Each step was a battle hard won, and she had nearly given up hope of reaching their destination when they turned the final corner. K'vn had lapsed back to darkness, and it took every bit of strength and urging she possessed to get him to move the final distance. Somehow, incredibly, they gained access to the pod and she shoved him in. The signal, going at a maddening pace, was cut off as she closed the pod doors.

The buttons and lights overwhelmed her; she did not understand the Enemy's magic or ways. But for some reason the pod came to life on its own, and before she knew it, they were thrust free from the Ship with a sickening jar.

She fought back nausea as the tiny craft tumbled and spun; both she and K'vn were flung around, although he was thankfully unaware of the new damage that was occurring. Frantically, she searched for something to secure them, but found nothing but a collection of odd devices. Most were unfathomable, but one she knew. She had seen it used before, long ago. It was a breathing device.

K'vn was pale, his breathing ragged and rough. She inserted the device into his mouth, glad when it seemed to take effect. The craft steadied, and she shivered; glad she had the guard's uniform to help with the increasing coldness, she retrieved the sending device. Without any true hope, she sent the signal that K'vn had taught her. There was little else she could do.

She had been standing over K'vn, checking his condition, when something jolted the pod. Pitching forward, her head hit a hard metal panel, and she fought blackness for several moments. Not long afterwards, there was another jolt; she knew something she didn't understand was happening outside. A massive force hit the pod a bit later, and the last of her awareness fled in a flare of pain. Her last sight was of K'vn's pale face.

V'sh sighed. She had fully expected death, then. When she'd discovered she was aboard yet another Ship, locked in another cell, the despair had almost been too great to bear. But when none of the Enemy had appeared, she wondered where she truly was. All around her, she heard K'vn's language... had they, indeed, been rescued by his people?

Just as she dared to begin to hope, the attack had come. The man who assaulted her was no prisoner; he was a guard, and had enjoyed the control immensely. The cruel look in his eyes told her he was worse than the others. She knew she would suffer greatly at his hands.

But then, afterwards, the Healer L'ta had come, and she had discovered the damage. Her response proved that the guard's action was neither acceptable nor expected. Soon, the guard had been replaced by another man; indeed, none of the same men remained. She suspected that the Healer had been the source of the change.

It was at that point that she met N'ck. He had come into her cell with the Healer, but remained far away. Like K'vn, he did not... assume. And, just like K'vn had done so long ago, he had simply sat and talked to her. His voice was different, but full of musicality. She liked his tone and rhythm; even though his physical form was nearly as daunting as K'vn's, she was able to relax a little. He seemed very young, younger than the man she had befriended; his hair, unlike anyone's she had ever seen, had fascinated her. Of course, she dared not show her interest. It was clear to her that the Healer expected N'ck to protect or watch over her in her absence, but it was not wise to trust too easily. That was why, later, she had been so surprised to hear him sing. Above all else, the song had set her at true ease. She didn't understand the words, but the emotion that colored it was one of comfort.

V'sh stood and walked over to the suite's viewing window. Putting her hand to the smooth, clear surface, she watched the stars pass by. The others had spoken of going Home, the excitement in their voices clear. Even K'vn had shared in their enthusiasm; she, alone, had not cared one way or another. No place would ever be Home to her, not truly. Not any longer.

She thought of the meal they had shared. It had been many, many turns since she had participated in such a feast. She'd been shocked to find out, afterwards, that food was always as plentiful in K'vn's world. Perhaps, with sustenance guaranteed, she would be able to attempt the complex and long healing he required for his injured knee. It was a gift she would love to give him.

With a full stomach, and injuries yet to heal, K'vn had grown tired quickly. She had encouraged him to go to bed, and for once he had not protested. There had been talk of a gathering the next day, but she did not understand the purpose of such. It did not matter; what would come, would come.

The others had followed K'vn's example as time went on. The last to leave for his private quarters had been B'rn. It had taken her a while to get him to understand she didn't always need regular sleep. Simply resting could keep her body and mind sharp most of the time; he'd finally given in and bid her farewell. Thus, she was alone. Just her and her many thoughts.

~*~

 

Eight by Louise

 

Violently, he woke. His mind, still immersed in the emotions generated by the nightmare, tried to grasp images and details of the dream but, as usual, they fled too quickly. Heart pounding, he stared wide-eyed up at the dimly lit ceiling. It took a few moments to realize he wasn't in his cell.

Thank the gods.

He forced his breathing to even out, his pulse to calm; by degrees, he left the pain and terror behind. Slowly, he sat up, scrubbing at his face with a hand. His knee was pounding, as was his head; he let out a soft groan when he checked the time. It was still hours before their wake-up call.

Experience told him it would be pointless to attempt sleep again. However, there wasn't any need to endure the physical pain... not when Aleta had given him medication for that purpose. Before his imprisonment, he'd resisted taking meds for something as trivial as pain. He'd thought it a sign of weakness. Unless it was driving him to the point of unconsciousness, he could handle it. But that was in his other life. His time with the Enemy had changed that.

It had changed a lot of things.

Carefully, Kevin got to his feet, assessing the condition of his knee. Kicking the chair earlier had been a stupid stunt, one he was now paying for. At least Howie had managed to stop him from punching the wall.

He made his way out of his quarters, heading for the main room where he'd left the meds. When he got to the doorway, he saw a familiar figure silhouetted against the starry backdrop of the view portal.

“Vosh,” he said softly. Silver eyes quickly met his gaze. “What are you doing?”

She gestured briefly.

“Just looking, huh? Yeah, I guess we didn't get much of a chance to do that back on the Ship.” He hesitated. “How are you feeling?”

Okay.

“We haven't gotten much of a chance to talk.”

She measured his words, and frowned.

You should sleep, she said.

“I know,” he replied, moving to the table. He reached for the small bottle.

Dreams?

He merely nodded. She understood.

He unfastened the closure on the bottle and dispensed two pills into his hand. She watched him with curiosity.

“For pain,” he explained. “My knee... I tweaked it before. And a headache.”

Vosh came to stand beside him. He waited as she examined the small blue tablets in his palm.

“Aleta gave them to me.”

Magic? she asked.

He gave her a small smile. “Kind of. They'll eliminate the pain, help me to rest.”

Can do, she said, tapping herself on the chest.

“You should be resting, yourself,” he said. “I know this hasn't been easy for you lately.”

She looked at him questioningly.

He sighed. Carefully sitting down on the couch, he said, “I know about the attack. Here on the ship.”

Her expression was neutral as she sat beside him. She waited for him to continue.

“Why didn't you tell me earlier?” he said after a while, anger at the edges of his words. “You are supposed to be safe here, and-”

She stopped him by grasping his arm.

You hurt enough, she signed.

“Vosh, it's not right!” he said, looking down at her. “You were treated like... like the Enemy, and someone-”

It is over.

“Someone should answer for it,” he said, shaking his head. “The man who attacked you should pay, he broke our basic laws and morals-”

I am alive, she said. I am healed. I do not look back.

“How can you say that?” he exclaimed. “You can't just let this go!”

I do not forget, she said. But I move forward. It does not control me.

“It's still not right,” Kevin insisted. “Vosh, what...” He stopped, finding the words difficult to say. “What did he do? I know he hit you, and Nick said your uniform was ripped...” He closed his eyes for a moment, pushing back the wave of nausea. “How far did the attack go?”

She remained still for so long he thought she wasn't going to answer. But finally, she replied.

The man wanted control. To hurt, to make fear. To punish. To feel power. She paused. He did not get all he wanted.

Kevin weighed her answer. He opened his mouth to ask more questions, but stopped when he looked into her silver-gray eyes. They had been through so much; he knew better than to push the issue. Some things were not meant to be shared, and he accepted it reluctantly.

“Are you all right?” he asked painfully. “Really?”

I am, she said.

“I'm sorry it happened,” he said. He reached out a hand, and she was instantly in his embrace. Silently, the two held each other for several minutes.

Vosh drew back at last, and tilted her head up. With a hand, she traced a line across his forehead and looked a question at him.

“I can take the meds for that,” he said. “You shouldn't-”

Please.

He didn't have the ability to deny her request. Setting the pills down on the table, he turned back and gave her a gentle smile.

At her gesture, he stretched out on the couch, surprised that the piece of furniture easily accommodated his tall frame. He closed his eyes, feeling her feather-soft touch on his face as he had a thousand times before. Slowly he relaxed; he had learned the healing went much better if he was receptive. Within a minute, he felt the slightly odd sensation of energy flow through her fingertips onto the surface of his skin. Then, all his focus was on the headache pain as it slowly, but surely, vanished. He wanted to open his eyes, tell Vosh it had worked, but for some reason his eyelids were heavy as lead. Without warning, he slipped into sleep, never realizing that Vosh had put him there.

~*~

Brian Littrell rolled out of bed, looking very un-Captain-like. His dark blond hair stood at odd angles, and sleep wrinkles cris-crossed his face. With a yawn and a slight stumble, he made it to the bathroom and made himself somewhat presentable. At least, it was good enough to wander out and get coffee.

He stretched and yawned again as he made the short trip down the hallway to the main lounge area of the Suite. Going directly to the sidebar, he punched an order in for coffee, and watched the cup fill with hot, strong liquid. He added milk and sugar, inhaling the aroma from the cup with something akin to pleasure. Some of the simplest things were the best.

He took an appreciative sip and turned around, halting his step when he spied the couch. After a moment, he resumed drinking his coffee, quietly taking a seat where he could observe.

It didn't take a lot of hard thinking to figure out that Kevin must have been restless, probably due to nightmares or pain. The man was sleeping soundly now, however... no doubt thanks to the figure curled up on the floor.

Brian knew Vosh could ease pain as well as heal; since she was asleep now, he guessed that she'd done something to help Kevin. He wondered how deeply their feelings went for each other... obviously there was a bond, a strong connection, between them. It seemed to go beyond friendship; could they have become lovers on board the Enemy Ship? He couldn't imagine the hell that his friend had endured; to think Kevin had found solace in Vosh's arms gave him a small measure of comfort.

And what was her story, exactly? He wondered if he would ever know.

He took another sip of coffee, then turned at the sound of someone approaching from behind.

“Mornin', Cap,” AJ said in a rough voice. “A bit early, isn't it?”

“We're going back to the Parrin today,” he answered quietly. “I want to be ready to leave directly after the assembly.”

“I hear that,” AJ muttered. He glanced at the sleeping pair, then fetched a cup of black coffee for himself. “Wonder what's the story there.”

“I think Kevin probably couldn't sleep, due to pain, and came out to get his meds. They're still on the table-”

“Not that,” AJ interrupted. “I mean, with those two. You know.”

“Not sure,” Brian said after a moment. “Kevin hasn't really talked about his life on the ship, what conditions he had to endure. Obviously he and Vosh had access to one another, but...” He shrugged. “Until he tells us, himself, we won't really know.”

Although they were being quiet, a few seconds later the figure on the couch began to stir. Kevin blinked several times, and the pair could see the temporary confusion on his face.

“Good morning,” Brian greeted.

With a glance and a slight scowl, Kevin looked his way. Then, in an instant, awareness clarified. Inhaling deeply, the tall man pushed himself into a sitting position and yawned.

“Morning Bri, AJ. What time is it?”

“About an hour and a half before the big ceremony, or whatever it is, that Miles has concocted. How you feeling?” Brian asked.

After a slight pause, Kevin smiled. “I feel good,” he said, marveling at the sensation. “Leg's a bit stiff, but no headache.” He looked down and his expression softened to what could only be called affection. Gently placing a hand on her shoulder, he gave a solid shake.

At first, there was no response, but when he called her name and shook again, Vosh opened her eyes. Before she even sat up, she gave a quick sign.

“Yeah, I'm fine,” Kevin answered, holding a hand out to help her up.

She studied his face briefly before taking his hand, then nodded.

“Want coffee?” AJ asked, raising his cup slightly.

“Shower first,” Kevin said. “Then a definite yes.” At a touch on his arm, he looked back to Vosh. In a flurry of motion, she asked a question. “Sure, come on.”

He stood, stretched, and gave another yawn. “We'll be back in a bit,” he said to his two shipmates. “Can you call for some breakfast? I'm starving.”

“Ah, sure,” Brian said. “Anything in particular?”

“It's all good,” was the answer. Kevin took Vosh's hand and headed down the hallway towards the bathroom facilities.

There was a long silence until AJ said, “Well, I guess that answers that question.”

“I'll order us breakfast,” Brian stated, refraining from comment.

A few minutes later, Nick stumbled into the main room, hair sticking out in all directions and blinking sleepily. Without asking, AJ dialed up a cup of coffee and handed it to the silent young man.

Nick mumbled something that AJ knew was a thank-you and plopped down on the couch. Brian grinned; he knew, from experience, that it would be a two-cup wake-up for the Navigator. Until then, he wouldn't be of much use.

Howie strode in a minute later, looking perfectly groomed, already wearing his dress uniform. “Good morning everyone,” he said cheerfully.

Nick gave a small groan, but the other two returned his greeting.

“Looking pretty sharp today,” AJ smirked.

“I look sharp every day,” Howie responded automatically. “You should try it, Aje.”

“Which one of us has more female action than they can handle, hmm?”

The question was pointedly ignored as Howie fixed some strong tea for himself. Cup in hand, he took a seat. “Is Kevin up?”

“Apparently,” AJ said with a gleam in his eye. “He and Vosh are taking a shower.”

Howie choked on his tea, nearly spilling some on his uniform. He glared at his friend. “Warn me next time, will you?”

“Say... what?” Nick asked, speaking at last.

“Kevin. Vosh. Shower. Together,” AJ said. “My admiration for the man just went up several points.”

“Bri, is it true?”

“What Kevin does and does not do is his own business, and I want all talk of it belayed.” His words were spoken in the 'command' tone they knew so well.

AJ raised an eyebrow at the order, but said nothing. The subject was, for the time being, closed.

~*~

Breakfast arrived with a visitor: Aleta Simpson greeted the four men with a smile. She took a second look at Howie, and her smile hitched up a degree.

“There's nothing like a handsome man in uniform,” she said, a spark in her eye.

Howie, despite his best efforts, blushed hotly. Aleta merely laughed and patted his shoulder.

“Kevin?” she asked.

“Ah, he and Vosh haven't finished with their, um, shower.”

She considered Howie's statement. It seemed to answer quite a few of her own questions.

“I need to speak with him before the ceremony.”

“Have you had breakfast yet?” Brian asked. “There's plenty.”

“I'll stick with juice,” she said. “I've been up for several hours and ate before my shift began.”

They were engaged in a light conversation when Kevin, dressed in the formal uniform Brian had kept, arrived.

He nodded to Aleta and headed for the breakfast mini-buffet that had been delivered. “I think my appetite is coming back,” he said as he filled a plate.

AJ snickered, but Howie quickly elbowed him into silence.

“I need to speak to you,” Aleta said. “It's about Vosh.”

“She should be finished in a minute or two,” Kevin said, bringing his plate to the table. “She didn't want to get out of the shower.” He grinned briefly and shook his head.

“I... can imagine,” Aleta muttered. She cleared her throat. “You know you'll be expected to give a small speech,” she said. “Have you thought about what you'll say?”

“I'm no speech-maker,” he replied. “But for sure I want to make it clear that Vosh is not the enemy, and that Miles made a huge mistake in addition to acting like a jerk.”

“What will you say when you're asked about Vosh? Because the questions will come, and soon. Which is what I need to talk to you about.”

“Well,” Kevin said slowly, “I was planning on sticking with the truth.”

“Perhaps that's not exactly the wisest choice.”

He looked up with a question in his eyes.

“I don't mean about her being an ally, or an alien that was a prisoner. Or that she helped you during your imprisonment, and escape.”

“Then what-”

“I think you should keep silent about her healing abilities. Completely.”

Puzzled, the former captain lowered his cup. “But why? What she can do is incredible-”

“Exactly,” Aleta declared. “It'll be bad enough once we get Home... there will be throngs of people wanting to take a poke at her. Although she's not the Enemy, she is an alien... and very close to us, physiologically. I personally know a dozen researchers who would kill to get a first hand look at her.”

“She's not a specimen,” Kevin said indignantly. “I won't allow that kind of-”

“You won't have a choice,” she interjected. “You, yourself, will be going through countless evaluations, debriefings, tests and interviews during the first few weeks, at the very least. She won't be allowed to be with you during that time.”

“There's no way she should go through that crap,” Nick said hotly. “She doesn't even understand our language! Well, not a lot, anyway. It's not right.”

“I agree,” Aleta said. “Now, take it one step further. If it were known that she could heal, simply by touching...” Her words faded.

Silence enveloped the group for nearly a minute.

“The demand would never stop,” the doctor said quietly. “Her life would never be her own.”

“I've seen her pushed almost past her limits,” Kevin said in a near-whisper. “There was one time that the Enemy... they...” He stopped, closing his eyes.

“They tortured her?” Nick asked, horrified.

“No,” Kevin said roughly. “It was me. They nearly killed me. I had... I was unconscious, so I had no way of preventing...” He fought to control the memory. “She healed me, saved my life, at nearly the cost of her own. When I found out, I was... less than thankful. I didn't want to live with her death on my conscience, and... well, I made it clear that I wasn't worth it. Not at her expense.” He swallowed. “She, in turn, made it clear that she made her own choices, and as a Healer, did what she felt was needed.”

“Which is my point. She should be allowed to make her own choices, in her own time.”

“I take it you have a plan of some kind?” Brian said.

“I do.” She leaned back. “Nothing can be done about the fact she's an alien. That's already made news back Home... but only a few people know about her unique talent. The five of us, three second-level certifieds, and two of my med techs. I'm not sure about Lt. Raines, but I can ask.”

“But... what about everyone that saw Kevin's hand so badly damaged? It's healed, and he's been all around the ship. How can that be explained?” Howie asked.

“Yes, well...” Aleta began. She cleared her throat. “Sorry to say, but I have to admit I made an... overestimation... on the extent of the damage. I found one scanner to have a defective feedback unit, and in all the excitement of the event, I made a diagnostic error.” She gave a convincing, apologetic sigh. “The surgery I and my team performed was able to correct the relatively minor amount of damage that was actually present.” She bowed her head in shame.

“You're good,” AJ said after a moment. “I even believed that for a second.”

The doctor looked up, the remorse gone from her expression. “If Miles can buy it, we're home free. I have the loyalty of my people, the records have been properly, ah, adjusted, and with a little luck we should be able to pull it off. I have a flexi-cast Kevin can wear during the ceremony for effect, which you can ditch the moment you get back on the Parrin.”

“I'm glad you brought this up,” Kevin said. “I hadn't really thought about the implications.” Suddenly he flinched as a hand touched his shoulder from behind. He turned quickly, meeting Vosh's even gaze.

“We-”

She signed a question, not waiting for him to finish.

“All right.” He indicated the array of food on the side tables. “Get something to eat and I'll explain.” He addressed the others. “Apparently she heard us talking.”

“And...”

“She didn't understand all what we said. I've got to translate.”

“She'll be coming with us on the Parrin, right?” Howie asked. “Maybe we can try and teach her more of our language.”

“I was hoping you'd offer,” Kevin said. “You know more than the rest of us.”

The Communications officer seemed taken aback for a moment, then said, “I can try. But what about the signs you two use?”

“Maybe you can learn them from her. She's pretty smart.”

“You know, if she could write, it'd make things a lot easier,” Nick said, pushing his plate to the side.

“Thanks for volunteering, Nick,” Brian said. He grinned. “I'm sure you'll do a great job.”

“What? Me? But I...”

“You do know how to read and write, correct?”

“Well, sure, but-”

“Then it's settled.” Brian gave a satisfied nod.

“Thanks, Chaos, I appreciate that.” Kevin gave him a sincere smile.

“Ah... sure.” He looked a bit confused, but didn't protest any more. There wasn't any way he would ever want to disappoint his oldest 'brother'.

~*~

Howie watched as Kevin explained... or tried to... the earlier conversation to Vosh. The look on the small woman's face was one of intense concentration as they signed back and forth, and it wasn't long before she gave a signal that Howie now knew meant 'stop'. But instead of asking for a better explanation, or indicating he was going too fast, she simply gave Kevin a nod.

“Kev?” he asked, when the man stopped and went back to finishing his breakfast.

“She understands,” Kevin said. “Apparently this isn't the first time the issue has come up.”

Howie frowned. “What do you mean?”

“She didn't give me any details,” he said. “Just that she knew her ability had to be kept secret, and she would be careful.”

“Just like that?”

“Howie,” Kevin said carefully, “in all the time I've known Vosh, there's one thing I've learned. When she stops giving information, that's it. And it's not because of the language barrier.” He shook his head. “I imagine it's part of how she survived so long on that Ship.”

“How long was that?” Nick asked in a quiet voice.

“I don't really know,” Kevin admitted. “Her concept of time is really different. Maybe once she has grasped our language she can give more details. She had to have been there since before the War. She came along with the O'mosk.”

He watched the woman in question as she surveyed the buffet offerings. The look on her face was one of curiosity; he wished he knew what she was thinking, as he had a thousand times before.

“I want to go through what I'm going to say for a few minutes,” he said, turning back to his former crew. “We should leave for the gathering hall in twenty.”

“You heard the man,” Brian said, standing up. “Pack all your gear, I don't want to waste any more time here than we have to.”

“I should be going,” Aleta said. “And here,” she said, handing Kevin a small packet. “The flexi-cast for your hand.”

“Thanks,” he said. “For this... and everything.”

She smiled. “No problem. Good luck with the speech.”

~*~

The Captain of the Sealk checked his appearance one final time in the full-length mirror. He flicked away an imagined dust mote from his shoulder lapel, then allowed himself a satisfied smile. The throngs back home would see what he could: the steadfast, heroic captain that had brought the War to a close. The buttons and ribbons and insignia of his rank glimmered on his immaculate uniform, the perfect picture of sharpness and order. It was impressive, to say the least.

The broadcast back Home had been his own idea; a little advanced glory would only help his personal plans for the future. Soon he could dump the tedious military life and begin focusing on the truly important things; namely, his political career and the accumulation of much deserved wealth.

He checked the time and exited his quarters, striding confidently down the corridor. He reviewed his speech as he walked, knowing countless people would be listening. The only slight flaw in his plan was Richardson. The man was unpredictable; the violent episode in Sickbay had only confirmed his instability. No one knew what he might do when it was his turn to say a few words.

Miles shrugged; he doubted Richardson had enough mental clarity to put together anything significant. While the spotlight would be on the ex-prisoner of war for a few minutes, the rest of the focus would be on himself.

Smiling, he made his way to the conference area.

~*~

“Nervous?” Howie asked in a low voice.

“Not really,” Kevin answered. “I'll be glad to get this fiasco over, though, and get off this ship.”

“I second that,” Brian said. “I mean, the crew is friendly enough, but-” He paused. “Ah. Here comes Captain Peacock now.”

Howie stifled a snort. True or not, he didn't dare laugh out loud.

“Ah, come early to get a front row seat?” Miles asked as he approached the five men.

“Hardly,” Brian said in a calm, even voice. “We wanted to make sure we had a spot nearest the exits.”

“Believe me, Littrell, no one will be celebrating more than I the moment you leave my ship.”

“I have my doubts about that,” came the reply.

Miles ignored the shorter man and turned to Kevin. “Is that the only thing they could find for you to wear?” he asked, indicating the loose-fitting uniform.

“It's my uniform, and I'll be wearing it proudly,” Kevin declared. “Got a problem with that?”

“No, I don't really care one way or another. I can't force someone to take a little pride in their appearance.” He glanced around. “Where's your little shadow?”

“Her name is Vosh, and-”

“Easy, Kev,” Howie muttered, placing a warning hand on his friend's arm.

“She's resting,” Brian provided. “Away from this circus. She's the lucky one this morning, I think.”

“Mmm.” Miles looked past the blond and saw someone gesturing. “Unfortunately I have to leave this riveting dialog and check on the proceedings. Don't worry, Richardson,” he said, giving a glance in his direction, “I've got all the bases covered. You don't have to say anything at all if you don't want to. I'm sure everyone would understand.” With a final, condescending look, Miles brushed past the group and crossed the room.

“You okay?” Howie asked once Miles was out of range.

“Yes,” Kevin answered through gritted teeth.

“Don't let him get to you,” he said. “Honestly, Miles would be overjoyed to see you lose it in front of everyone.”

“It'd almost be worth it.” Kevin let out a long, slow breath. “But I won't give him the satisfaction.”

~*~

“...so you can rest assured, our place in the history books is guaranteed,” Miles continued. “It just goes to show what superior leadership, and discipline, can accomplish.” He paused. “Everyone here should be proud of their service to the Defense Force, and to the Sealk. We shared the work, we will share the glory as well.” He looked up and gave a broad, satisfied smile. Applause from the gathered crew came quickly, and he basked in the glow for a few moments. Then, clearing his throat, he spoke again.

“It seems only fitting that Captian Kevin Richardson say a few words at this time. We all know of the ordeal he's been through, so I'm sure he'll be brief. Captain,” he said, stepping back from the podium and nodding towards Kevin.

As Kevin took his place, AJ McLean leaned next to his fellow crewman and said, “I thought Miles would never finish.”

“Well, anything that Kevin will have to say is bound to be a zillion times more interesting,” Nick whispered back.

The two fell silent as Kevin stepped up to speak.

For a moment, the former prisoner's eyes scanned the crowd slowly, deliberately. Then, after taking a deep breath, he began.

Hero. I've heard that word a lot lately. But what makes a person a hero, really? With all due respect to Captain Miles, I have to disagree with his definition.

“A hero isn't someone who seeks fame and glory. The title doesn't come from some great achievement that is fit for history books. No, I believe a true hero is someone who does their best with what they have, who gives their all for a purpose greater than self. That describes every single person here... each of you have given up comfort of home, the security of family, everything familiar back Home to fight against an Enemy who share none of our values or beliefs. Very few here were military personnel, yet you answered the call bravely and without hesitation. You all... each and every one... are heroes.” He paused, remaining silent for several heartbeats.

“I never thought I'd be returning Home,” he continued in a lower voice. “I can't begin to tell you how gratified I am for what everyone's done to help me lately. It was your teamwork, your efforts, that secured the escape pod that carried me and my companion. Credit goes to the crew of the Parrin as well.” He gave his former crew a momentary glance that was full of gratitude. “Without their insistence, and your cooperative efforts, the pod would have surely been destroyed.”

“But there's another who I owe my very life to... her presence has caused much confusion and misjudgment. I would like to set the record straight here and now.” He caught Miles' attention for a brief moment, then pointedly looked away. “As you all know, I was not alone in the escape pod. The woman who was with me was mistaken for one of the Enemy and treated harshly. Luckily the truth was revealed before too much damage was done.” A grim expression settled on his face.

“She was a prisoner aboard the Omosk, kept there since before the Enemy brought war to our people. Despite the fact that she cannot speak, and did not know our language, she risked everything to become my ally. She saved my life on several occasions... without her, I would have died.” He swallowed against his emotions, then continued. “She comes from another world, another people. So, alien... yes. Enemy... never.” Bowing his head for a moment, Kevin gathered his thoughts. “She's another example of a true hero. Her belief in me, the value she placed on my life, made all the difference in my survival. She managed our escape... against all hope and reason, she made the effort with everything she possessed. She didn't do it for fame, didn't do it for glory or riches or recognition. She did it because she believed. And in that way, she isn't an alien at all. She's one of us.”

He scanned the crowd one final time. “A true hero's reward is knowing, deep down, that what they did was right. That called to task again, they would do the same. I am truly grateful I'll be making the journey Home in such honorable company. Thank you all.”

For a long, suspended moment, silence permeated the room. Then the crowd broke into sincere, heartfelt applause, punctuated by cheers and shouts. Kevin left the podium to a standing ovation.

Brian watched his former Captain make his way through the crowd, noting with immense satisfaction that the only person in the room not smiling was Jeremy Miles. He clapped a hand on his friend's shoulder, shot Miles a parting look, and happily led his crew out the door.

~*~

Aleta turned off her vidmonitor with a smile. Kevin had come through, thoroughly undermining Miles and winning the respect and admiration of the entire audience, herself included. She turned around and said, “Okay, Vosh, it's time to go.”

The woman in question rose, a neutral expression on her face. Aleta doubted the alien had understood much of what had been broadcast; once her initial curiosity about the vidmonitor had been expressed, Vosh had pretty much ignored the speeches.

“You'll be much happier in a stable, friendly environment, I'm sure,” Aleta said as she led the way out of the Med bay to the shuttle hanger. “You're lucky to have Howie as a teacher, he's wonderful to work with.” She smiled. “Actually, they're a great bunch of guys, every one of them. The best crew I've ever served with.”

Vosh didn't respond, but Aleta wasn't surprised. She knew communication was difficult; hopefully Howie could build a bridge soon.

“You'll be able to relax on the Parrin, it won't be like here,” she continued. “We've got nine days until we get Home; I'll come and visit when I get the chance.” She stepped up to the lift and activated it. They moved onto the platform and the doors swished shut. “You'll be able to rest... and so will Kevin. I imagine things will be quite chaotic once we get planetside; there's no way around that, I'm afraid. Hopefully it won't last too long.”

Silver-gray eyes studied Aleta for a second, then looked away.

“I wish I knew what you were thinking,” the doctor said softly. “I imagine this has been so... confusing for you, to say the least.”

A simple nod, then a shrug, followed the comment, and Aleta realized that Vosh had indeed understood what she'd been saying. “You did follow that, didn't you?”

Vosh nodded, then qualified it with a slight hand gesture.

“Mostly,” Aleta guessed. A definite nod yes.

There wasn't any time left for questions and answers as they exited the lift directly in front of the shuttle bay. Instead, Aleta gave her companion a smile.

“Here,” she said, handing a small bundle to Vosh. “Your clothes, and a few extra items you might need.”

“There you are, just in time,” came the call from near the shuttle's door. “They're ready to roll as soon as we get aboard.”

Vosh looked from Brian's grin to the shuttle, her expression guarded. Then her gaze shifted to a more familiar figure.

Kevin greeted the two women with a smile. “Our gear's been secured... let me take that,” he said, reaching for Vosh's bundle. To his surprise, she clutched it to her chest. Her action made him pause. “Ah, okay, you can carry it yourself,” he said carefully. He was answered with a definitive nod.

“Excuse me, Captain Richardson,” said a uniformed man from the shuttle's hatch, “but the pilot would like to know if you'd care to sit in the second seat. Thought you might like to see your old ship on approach.”

Kevin blinked. My old ship... He found his voice a second later. “Yes, I'd be honored,” he said, hoping the slight tremor in his voice wasn't too audible.

Brian, who had joined the three, leaned over and said, “You're due. Go ahead.”

“Safe journey,” Aleta said. “I've got to get back to my duties, but I'll contact you soon.”

“Thanks, Doc,” Brian answered. “We appreciate all you've done.”

Kevin gave her a grateful look, then turned and walked through the shuttle's hatch; Aleta left with a short wave a moment later.

“Well, looks like they're waitin' for us,” Brian said, gesturing towards the ship. “A quick trip and then you'll get to see our home away from Home.” He took a step forward, but stopped when he realized Vosh hadn't moved. “Come on, darlin'... it's time to go.”

Vosh took a single step backwards, her face a shade paler than before. While her expression didn't qualify as fear, Brian recognized definite anxiety.

“What's wrong?” he asked, puzzled. When the only reply he received was a shake of her head, he frowned. He took a step closer to her. “It's safe, I've done this a hundred times,” he said. “Nick and Howie and AJ and Kevin are already on board. It'll be okay.”

His words didn't seem to help, and he wondered if she'd understood them at all. He tried again. “Vosh, we have to go on board. Don't you want to leave this ship, and go to our own? I'm sure Kevin has talked about the Parrin before.”

She bit her lip, flicking a glance at him for just a second before returning her gaze to the ship.

He was about to call to Kevin when realization struck. He ran a hand through his hair, then spoke softly.

“It's the ship itself, isn't it?” he asked. “First the O'mosk, then the escape pod... now here. No wonder you're gun-shy. Space ships haven't exactly equaled good experiences for you, have they?” After a second's hesitation, he held out a hand. “Come on,” he said. “You trusted me once, now I'm asking you again.”

She wrenched her focus from the sleek lines of the shuttle to his outstretched hand. For several seconds, she studied his face, then bit her lip again. Slowly, she moved forward and, after an agonizingly suspenseful pause, took his hand.

He gave her an approving smile. “I promise this trip will be a good one. Let's go make sure it's not Nick navigating, we'll want to actually find the Parrin.” He smirked. “Don't tell him I said that.”

He laughed at Vosh's raised eyebrow, squeezed her hand, and led her to the hatchway. He was gratified to notice only a tiny falter in step when Vosh crossed the threshold.

~*~

A wealth of emotions flowed through Kevin as the short trip progressed. Gratitude, relief, apprehension, anticipation... As the small ship came into clear view, unexpected memories bubbled to the surface. The day he'd taken command of her, his pride in launching their premier mission, the first battle she'd fought in... the last time he'd seen her through his viewscreens as he flew on special solo assignment. Although it had been just over half a year since that moment, it seemed an eternity. He had changed, fundamentally... but she looked exactly the same as he remembered. The thought gave him an odd sense of comfort.

The shuttle pilot deftly maneuvered the craft to the Parrin's docking bay, linking up without so much as a jar. Kevin acknowledged the skill of the man, gave his thanks, and wasted no time getting to the doors. He realized that excitement had overtaken all other emotions... something he hadn't anticipated. Unable to keep the smile from his face, he greeted his shipmates as they all gathered together. Then, the doors opened, and he stepped forward, never so glad to see the inside of the humble ship as at that very moment.

 

Nine by Louise

 

She glanced around the small room, wondering why N'ck had said it was his favorite place on the ship. She didn't understand the reason for anyone's enthusiasm for the cramped, rather unspectacular vessel. K'vn had every right to be back where he belonged, of course, but her eyes failed to see the appeal. It was simply another ship, a cold and isolated place she had no desire to be.

An unexpected surge of grief shot through her as a flash of Home appeared in her mind's eye. The warm sun, the rise and swell of the land, the twin moons arching gracefully across the night sky... How long had it been since she'd been taken from what she so loved? Turns beyond reckoning... a lifetime. Home was far beyond her reach, and the truth that she'd never see it again brought a pain that she thought long since dulled.

Shaking her head, she pushed the feelings back. Giving in to sorrow and grief only led to a loss of control, a tanglement of emotions that could do no good. She was truly Lost, and nothing she could do would change that fact.

She sat down in a chair, not knowing what else to do. She didn't understand the function of most of the machines along the walls; N'ck had rattled on about many things, very few of which made sense to her at all. He'd promised to return soon, with learning and teaching tools. At least it would give her something to do until they reached K'vn's home. And then...

She bowed her head. Then, what? What would she do in such an alien place? K'vn had explained that she couldn't return to her duties as Healer. That her abilities and knowledge had to be kept secret. Healing was her heart and soul, her way of connecting to others and to making a difference. Without that...

Without that, she would forever be a prisoner.

~*~

Brian cast a covert glance at the man he'd never expected to see reseated at the helm of the Parrin. Although a light had appeared in Kevin's eyes, he was still far too pale... and disturbingly thin. That, at least, was something they might help with.

He grinned as he thought of the special 'supplies' AJ managed to get from the Sealk. According to the Weapons officer, a little sweet-talk, a good dose of charm, and a few winning hands at cards had secured the crates of top-end food items and luxuries. The fact they had come from Miles' personal storage bay only made the acquisition more satisfying. Of course, AJ had only done it for Kevin's sake... after all, it was the least the man deserved. Brian had turned a decidedly blind eye to the entire thing.

It would take a lot of time and effort to help Kevin return to some semblance of normality; although he would get the very best professional help, Brian knew what the older man needed most were his friends... his family. It would be a whole new life, full of changes and challenges, but he was sure they were up to the task.

“I need that download, Howie. Can you channel it to a portable?”

Brian snapped out of his musings and regarded Nick. He looked slightly apprehensive, which was unusual for the blond.

“Sure,” came Howie's easy reply. “Just take a sec.”

“Gonna start those lessons already?” AJ asked, leaning back in his chair.

“I'm not on duty, nothing's going on right now... yeah.” Blue eyes blinked. “Are you all sure it's me you want doing this?”

“The sooner Vosh can learn, the better it'll be,” Kevin said. “You'll do fine.”

“Besides, I can't do it all myself,” Howie interjected. “I have to review basic sign-language before I can try and teach her. I haven't had to use it since my certification test.” He tapped a few buttons and nodded. “There ya go, Nick. Should be ready to go on your station portable.”

“Thanks,” the youngest said as he retrieved the flat device. “I... hope I don't mess this up.”

“You won't,” Kevin reassured him. “And she learns quickly. Just relax... she'll pick up on your tension if you don't... and go slow.”

Nick nodded, gathered his portable, and left. There was silence for perhaps 20 seconds.

“You're going to have to be careful Vosh doesn't get confused,” Brian said at last, turning to Howie. “I want you to coordinate with Nick... get details as to what he's teaching, and slip him hints. He'll take it better coming from a fellow instructor. His confidence could use a boost.”

“Right, Cap,” Howie said easily.

Brian caught a look of approval from Kevin; he was surprised at how proud it made him feel. With a slight smile, he turned to his status report screen and resumed his duties.

~*~

“Hey, bro, how'd it go?” AJ asked as he met Nick in the corridor a few hours later.

Nick shrugged. “Not real sure,” he said. “There was a lot of stuff that I just couldn't explain. I mean... I started out simple, with the letter 'A'. I showed her an image of an apple, told her what it was. The name, she got. But when she wanted to know more, well... it got kind of difficult.”

“How so?”

“I told her an apple was fruit. So she wanted to know what fruit was. I showed her images of oranges, bananas, pears, grapes... told her they were all fruit, just like the apple. It only made things worse.” He shook his head. “I changed tactics, and told her that apples were eaten, that they were food. That, she got. But when I explained that they grew on trees...”

“She didn't know what a tree was?”

“Not exactly. I mean, she understood tree, pretty much, but the idea that apples came from them seemed to puzzle her. She asked... at least, I think she asked... if all fruit came from the tree, and that's when I lost her completely. Apples, oranges, bananas and pears grow on trees, but on different kinds; and although grapes are fruit, they grow on vines.”

“And then you tried to explain vines...”

Nick let out a long sigh. “And so it went. I dunno, I'm not sure if I did more harm than good today. We didn't even get to 'B'.”

AJ crossed his arms. “Did she get mad?”

“Actually, no. Frustrated and confused, for sure... but she kept trying. Gotta give her kudos for that.”

“Well,” AJ said, “it sounds like a rocky start, but it's a start nonetheless. You're not calling it quits, are you?”

“Nah,” Nick answered. “We're done for the day, but I won't give up. I made a promise.”

AJ nodded. “Good. And don't worry, you'll figure it out.”

“See ya at the evening meal,” the blond said. “Duty calls.”

With a grin, the older man continued on his way.

~*~

She padded quietly into the small room, spying the man she'd hoped to find. She could tell he was asleep from his even breathing... that was good. He had much healing yet to do.

She yawned, feeling tired to her very bones. Her thoughts had finally settled down after the teachings- she would have to work much harder at understanding next time. N'ck had done his best, but she knew she'd disappointed him.

K'vn was still, his face mostly relaxed; the dreams had not begun to haunt him yet. Perhaps, now that he was with his people, the dreams could fade and lessen their hold on him. Then he could begin the healing of his spirit as well.

She studied him for a while. His strength and caring had amazed her, from the moment they had met. He'd endured terrible, unspeakable torture at the hands of the Enemy, but had never given up, never given what they wanted so desperately. It hadn't taken long before she had allied with him; she would have done almost anything for the brave yet gentle man who had shown her the first kindness since she'd been taken from her Home. Then, one day, he had stood between her and the Enemy, deflecting punishment meant for her... accepting cruel, painful blows without so much as a cry. It had shocked and humbled her greatly, and even if she'd had the ability to speak once again, words would not have been enough.

She had tried to thank him, although she didn't have much to give. He explained that it wasn't necessary, that he didn't expect payment for simply doing what was right... standing up for a friend. He'd named her friend... In that instant, K'vn had forever become her hero. He had proven that he was worthy of her loyalty and devotion... that he was not like anyone else she had met since her capture. There was nothing she wouldn't do for him.

So when the Enemy had begun the destruction of their own Ship, she had found the courage and means to save his life. It had seemed a small thing in light of what he'd given her.

She yawned again, realizing she'd been reminiscing for quite a while. She needed low Sleep, enough to restore her body and clear her thoughts. Although the cot where K'vn slept was large, his sprawled form took up most of the space. She hadn't been shown another place to sleep, so she took a blanket from a nearby chair and spread it on the floor. Although it wasn't very comfortable, it was still better than what she'd been used to most of the time on the Ship. Knowing that K'vn was sleeping peacefully nearby, and that she was safe and protected, she closed her eyes. Sleep followed swiftly.

~*~

Brian stared at the stellar display beyond the viewscreen, simply enjoying the sight. His duty shift was long over, but he'd elected to relax on the bridge. Leaning back, feet up on the edge of the main console, he knew he looked like anything but a Captain.

Quite frankly, he didn't much care. Soon he'd be a civilian again, entrenched in day to day living back Home... which, after six long years, seemed more of a fantasy than reality.

What will it be like? he wondered. He'd miss the beauty of space, the thrill of flying, and the tight camaraderie that he enjoyed with his crew. Ah, but Home...

Trees... sunsets... wind and rain and snow and vast, open skies. Real fruit, and birds... birds and butterflies and flowers. What a thrill it would be to see a rainbow, or a thunderstorm, or the waves kissing the shore in perfect rhythm at the seaside. To hear children laughing...

At that thought, he frowned. Would children have much to laugh about? The death numbers from Home were numbing, and hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of children would be bereft of a parent, or both... entire families had perished, he knew. Before any laughter, there would be grief and rage and anger and tears. Not just for children, but for them all.

Defeating the Enemy had been a positive event, to be sure, but now the true work of rebuilding had to begin. He had read reports of damages to major cities... some, like Epandra, had been razed to the ground. There would be no reconstruction in such places. With such sweeping damage, all energies and resources would be focused on repairing and reconstructing what could be saved. It would be slow, arduous work.

Yet, it appealed to him. To heal, to build, rather than destroy... that's what he needed. Wanted. He'd had enough of fighting; they all had. Going Home meant more than leaving the Parrin behind. It meant a whole new life.

“You look deep in thought,” said a voice from behind.

Smiling, Brian leaned back a bit more. “Yep. Thinking about what it's going to be like living at Home again.”

“I don't think it's really registered yet for me,” came the soft reply. “I mean... I never expected to leave that Ship, much less go Home.”

“And here we both are, heading in the right direction, at last.”

“It's nothing short of a miracle,” Kevin said, placing a hand on his friend's shoulder.

“I'd have to agree with that one,” Brian answered. “Up for a cup of coffee? I think AJ snagged some pastries before we left... disguised as 'medical supplies', if I'm not mistaken.”

“Still the same old AJ,” Kevin said, with a smile that bordered on laughter.

“Thank goodness,” the Captain agreed as he stood. “We'd better help him get rid of the evidence before someone reports them missing.”

“I think that's a fine idea.”

Brian paused just as they came to the doorway. “You think Vosh would like to join us?”

“I left her asleep in my cabin,” he said. With a frown, he continued. “I woke up and she was sleeping on the floor. Didn't Nick show her around and assign her a place to bunk?”

Brian's eyebrow raised. “Well, he... we... figured it'd be best if you two, ah, shared.”

Kevin looked puzzled. After a moment, he said, “I don't understand. There's plenty of room... unless the spare cabin has been turned into a storage area or something.”

It was Brian's turn to be confused. “No, it's available, but you... I mean...” He paused, trying to find the words.

“Spit it out,” Kevin said.

“Well, obviously you two are in a relationship, and it makes sense to assign you a single cabin.”

A blank look. “A relationship? But...”

“It's cool,” Brian assured him. “No need to hide anything, I think it's a good thing myself. I like Vosh, and if you're happy, then why-”

“Whoa, wait a minute,” came the interruption. “Vosh and I aren't... it's not like that. Not at all. We're just friends. We depended on one another back on the Ship, and I guess it grew from there. But it's not physical.”

“It's not?” Brian asked, surprised. “But then... what about the, ah, shower? The one you took together?”

“We didn't take a shower together, whatever gave you that-” Kevin stopped, recalling the incident. Incredibly, he blushed. “Oh, no, no... Vosh asked me to show her how the 'devices'... the fixtures... worked. We didn't have showers on the Ship. I demonstrated what she needed to know, and she waited in the bedroom while I got my shower. Then we switched places; after I got dressed I checked on her and she told me she wanted to stay longer. And before you ask, she peeked her head outside the shower door and signed it.”

“So you two aren't...”

“Definitely, absolutely not,” came the sincere reply.

Brian let out a breath. “She just seems so attached to you. Close. You can see how we misunderstood.”

“It's never been anything more than friendship,” Kevin said quietly. “She never told me exactly what happened to her when she was with the other prisoners, but I can guess. I don't know why she reacted to me the way she did. I'm just grateful she trusted me, for whatever reason.”

“I'll make sure the spare cabin is ready for her, then,” Brian said. “And I'm sorry we made the assumption.”

“No need to apologize. I'm sure she'll be much more happy there than on the floor of my cabin.”

“I don't know how she even fell asleep,” he said. “Nothing but the hard floor...”

“She had a blanket,” Kevin answered. “And that was a whole lot more than we had back on the Ship.”

Silence settled around the two friends for a moment, then together they exited the bridge. Kevin wondered, but didn't comment on, the slight, knowing smile on Brian's face.

~*~

The tiny hangar bay provided perfect acoustics for the rather risque song being sung by a gruff but happy voice. Every once in a while the rhythmical tapping of a tool on metal would accent the music; so involved with his work, the singer didn't realize he had an audience.

She sat down along the wall, arms clasped around her drawn-up knees, and took in sight and sound with a curious tilt to her head. The man before her seemed to be enjoying his task; she couldn't begin to understand what, exactly, he was doing to the sleek machine, but he obviously did.

She arched an eyebrow when he stood and did an impromptu shuffling spin... was this a kind of dance? A ritual? He sung louder, then went back to his work.

It was odd that he could be so happy, doing such things. But the thought arose: was it the work that made him so lighthearted, or was it something else? The mood of the other three men had changed as well since K'vn had come to the small ship. They, like K'vn, had begun to smile more often. There was a bond between them that was plain to see, and through their connection they drew strength and light.

She'd heard K'vn laugh... an alien sound to her ears. She still saw the pain and darkness behind his eyes, but every once in a while something else would appear. She knew it was because he was finally with his bond-brothers, his people.

Her heart did not know what to feel. She was glad that K'vn was healing, but now there was a coldness creeping into her bones that no amount of warmth could touch. While he was where he belonged, among friends who would help him move forward, she was more lost then she'd ever been. Here, she had no purpose. She would not be allowed to be a true Healer once they reached K'vn's home; it was, in reality, all she had ever known how to do. Surely there would be much to learn on the new world, but...

She sighed. Learn, yes, but to what end? She would forever be alone, useless in an alien land. She did not understand why she had not been allowed to join her people long ago. It had seemed she would Cross many times, yet it had not happened. While K'vn had needed to escape the Enemy, deserved to be reunited with his kind, she...

Not for the first time, she felt a twinge of regret that she had not perished with the Ship.

She watched the man before her; his resemblance to T'rrn was still startling, and despite herself she felt a wash of sorrow for the memories it conjured. The pain that followed it was strong, and she bowed her head, resting her forehead on her knees. He'd been the last link to her world, and she missed him more now than ever before. Grief, renewed by Al'x's incredible resemblance to her beloved friend, hit hard. Tears which she had pushed aside so many times came in force, refusing to be held back any longer. Silently, she felt them fall.

~*~

“...and the girls of Roak, it's no joke, can set you on fire like a- GAH!” AJ dropped his spanner when he turned and saw Vosh's huddle figure. He'd never heard her come in; when-?

He swallowed, overcoming his initial surprise when the woman didn't move. He hesitated for a second, then picked up the tool. Still, she didn't stir.

“Uh, Vosh?” he asked carefully, glancing around in hopes that Kevin would magically appear. No such luck.

He took a tentative step towards her. “Vosh?” he called again, a bit more softly. His uncertainty gave way to concern and he knelt nearby. His hand hovered near her shoulder; he was loathe to touch her, but obviously something was wrong.

Gently he touched her shoulder, fully expecting her to move. But when he got no reaction, he frowned.

“Hey,” he called a bit nervously. “You okay?”

Finally, she raised her head. He was shocked to see her tear-stained face and the desolation in her eyes.

She sniffed, then drew back slightly. Self-consciously she swiped the wetness away and blinked as if belatedly realizing where she was. When her eyes widened, she began moving away from him.

“No, wait,” he said as he held up his hands. “It's okay, really. What's... what's wrong?”

She stared at him, a mix of apprehension and anxiety on her face. She didn't attempt to explain.

AJ bit his lip, wondering what to do next. He really wasn't good at this kind of thing, not like Brian or Howie was. “Are you hurt?” he ventured. When she blinked, he said, “In pain? An injury?”

She blinked again, and for a moment he didn't think she'd respond. Then, very slowly, she gave a brief shake of her head.

“Oh,” he said, mind whirling. If she'd had a physical injury, he would have known where to take her, had a clue what to do. “Uh, well, do you want me to get Kevin?”

This time the 'no' was more emphatic, which surprised him.

“You two have an argument?” he asked, not being able to imagine it.

Her shoulders slumped and she looked away. Her 'no' was clear, but lacked energy.

“Can I get anyone? Brian, Howie? Nick?”

Her answer was to clasp her arms around herself as if cold.

“I take that as a no.” He thought for a moment. Then, an idea came. “Is this a, a woman thing? I can call over to Aleta, she might understand.” He blushed. “I'm not exactly the best one to give advice on that kind of... of subject.”

She lowered her head and he watched as the tears began again.

“Oh, man,” he muttered, at a complete loss as to what to do now. He would rather be facing a squadron of Enemy fighters than the situation at hand.

But Vosh looked so lost, so miserable, he knew he had to do something. Not knowing how his gesture would be received, he sat down near her and patted the floor.

“Come on, sit with me.”

For the first time, she met his gaze directly. For a suspended moment neither one moved. Then, to his surprise, she did as he requested.

“No more questions, okay? Just... let whatever it is out. I'll be right here.” Awkwardly, he placed an arm around her shoulder.

When she turned into his embrace and began crying again, he knew he'd made the right move.

Time seemed meaningless as he simply let her weep, trying to calm her with small words of comfort. It occurred to him that she probably didn't understand anything he was saying, but deep down he knew it didn't much matter.

Eventually her shaking eased, and her breath evened out. Still, she didn't move away. AJ didn't mind, until his arm began to cramp. When he shifted a bit, she still didn't stir; frowning, he drew back just a little and regarded her.

Vosh was asleep.

He wasn't able to wake her, despite several shakes and name-calls.

“Oh man,” he said quietly, “I wish I knew what was going on in that head of yours.” But, of course, no answer was forthcoming.

He didn't want to leave her on the cold hangar-bay floor; if she was going to sleep, it'd be best in her own cabin. It took a bit of doing, but he finally managed to pick her up. He regained his balance, gave a silent thanks for automatic doors, and left the bay with his burden.

~*~

Kevin muttered a small curse as he mis-keyed another entry. He closed his eyes for a second, rubbing at the headache that had emerged over an hour ago.

“Maybe you should take a break,” came a gentle suggestion.

“I want to get this done,” he replied in a tired voice.

“Kevin, they want a full report, from the last mission until your arrival on the Sealk. But they don't want it today... and we've got four days left for you to work on it. Take a break.”

He opened his mouth to protest, but the shaking of his hands stole the words away.

“I suppose I could stretch my legs for a moment,” he relented.

“Stretch them on the way to the lounge. Get something to eat while you're at it.”

“Is that an order?”

Brian grinned slightly. “Only if you give me no choice.”

With a wry smile, the tall man rose. “Okay, okay, I'll see if there's any apples left. I used to dream of them, especially when...” He broke off, shaking his head against an unwanted memory.

“You'll have all of them you can eat soon enough,” Brian said evenly.

“Yeah... thanks,” Kevin said in a suddenly dry voice. He left the cabin without saying more.

“This is really hard for him, huh?” the Navigator said quietly from his corner chair.

“Yeah,” Brian answered. “Bad enough to go through it, and then having to do a detailed report, reliving it over again...”

“Then I bet the brass will want to hear it in person,” Nick said with disdain.

“You're probably right,” came the answer.

Nick studied his boards again, then sighed. “It's going to be hard on him for a long time, isn't it?”

“After the brass get done with him, and he's discharged from the service, there will be tons of people that want a piece of him. Interviews, parades and celebrations... stuff that won't be all that bad. But when the initial fervor dies, and he starts working through his experience with a therapist, I think it's going to be hard. Very hard.”

Nick's voice dropped to a whisper. “Do you think he'll ever... be okay?”

Brian considered the question for a long moment. “I think he's strong enough to put it behind him, eventually,” he answered. “But we have to understand that what he's been through has changed him. He'll never be exactly the same Kevin we once knew.”

“This war has changed everything. And everyone.”

“Yeah, it has.”

“But we'll be there for him... at least, I plan on sticking by his side.”

“We'll be there for him,” Brian said with certainty. “Along with AJ, Howie and Aleta. And Vosh.”

When there wasn't a reply, the Captain glanced over at the youngest crew member. “What?”

“Yeah, well, I've been wanting to talk to Kev about Vosh, but he's been so occupied with things the last couple of days...”

“Something about her lessons? Howie said she's done really well.”

“Once we figured out how to teach her, things got better, yes. But something's wrong now.”

“Such as?”

“Well, before, she seemed eager to learn, you know? But today, no matter what I tried to show her, she just wasn't interested. She told us she didn't want to learn any more.”

“The three of you have been going at it pretty intensely, maybe she's just getting overwhelmed.”

“Unlikely,” he said with a shake of his head. “She's really smart, she almost never forgets anything. We had her set the pace, and she's always looking at the portable because she wants to learn more than we show her in a session. That was, up until today.”

“She not feeling well?”

“I don't know,” he said. “Howie asked her, but she said she was fine.”

“Well, despite the progress we've all made in understanding each other, Kevin still communicates with her the easiest. I can mention it to him when he comes back from his break.”

“Well, that's kind of the thing,” Nick said with a frown. “Howie suggested that she take the day off from work and spend some time with Kevin, but she... well, she refused.”

“Refused.”

“Yep. Said quite clearly that she didn't want to talk to Kevin, and that it wasn't his concern. At that point she got up and left the lounge. I looked for her before I came on duty, but couldn't find her. She's probably in her cabin, but she wouldn't answer.”

Brian considered it. Vosh had seemed fine yesterday when they had all eaten together for the evening meal. She'd looked at Howie and Kevin for translation during their conversations; there had been no animosity between her and Kevin then.

“Maybe she's a bit put off because Kev's been so busy,” he offered.

“I don't think that's it.”

“Me either,” Brian admitted. “I wonder if it could be that since Kevin's had to recall all that happened to him as a prisoner, it's conjuring up ugly memories for her, too. I know he's having a rough time...”

“And he's told us she was a prisoner way longer than he was. I guess that could be it.”

“I'll get to the bottom of things,” he said. “I wanted to talk to the both of them about our upcoming arrival Home anyway.”

“Home,” Nick said in a soft voice. “It doesn't even seem possible.”

“I know. But in just a few days, we'll be standing planetside looking up at the stars rather than traveling among them.”

Nick's smile was echoed by his companion and the two resumed their duties, lost in pleasant thought.

~*~

AJ made his way down the corridor, glad he'd kept up with his extra physical training. Vosh was light, but she was dead weight; by the time he turned the corner that led past the lounge, he realized he'd need a bit of help. Most of the Parrin's doors were automatic, but the individual sleeping quarters required a handprint verification. And at the moment, he didn't have a hand to spare.

When he heard a voice ahead, he knew he was in luck. Someone... Howie... was in the lounge. Perfect.

“A man needs a hand out here,” he called as he neared the entryway. He turned into the room, instantly capturing the attention of the occupants within.

Kevin stood in a flash, his eyes locked on the limp figure in AJ's arms. He heard an unintelligible mix of words, and the edges of his vision began graying oddly. Blinking didn't help, and the deck beneath his feet began to tip unexpectedly.

Everything became a confusing flurry of noise and motion; there was a tight grip on his arm, and someone was pushing him in a direction he didn't want to go. He tried to breathe, but suddenly...

He'd finally succumbed to the intense pain, despite his resolve to bear it out. The Enemy had done more damage than usual, and he'd felt the sickening snap of several ribs just before new pain erupted below them. He'd cried out involuntarily, and then the nausea had hit.

The retching had produced a new level of agony, and he saw blood on the floor just before he gave in to the darkness. He knew that this, finally, was the end...

He woke an unknowable time later, disorientation clouding his mind. Eventually he realized that he wasn't dead, and that he was back in his cell lying on what passed as a cot. Then, the memories had hit, and he waited for the surge of pain to accompany it... but the expected never came.

Gingerly he had touched his ribs... they were sore, but didn't move wrongly. He'd been positive they'd been broken, he remembered the sickening sound of bone breaking... a tentative probe of his abdomen produced only tolerable soreness. What had happened? Surely he hadn't hallucinated the session, the-

His mind had cleared in a flash and he bolted upright... a mistake that cost him nearly a minute of time as he waited for the dizziness and vertigo to fade. Finally his vision clarified, and he saw what he'd hoped he wouldn't.

Vosh, pale as chalk, curled up a few feet from the cot. He called her name, felt her thin wrist for a pulse...

No pulse... no!

He'd pressed fingers to her neck, panicked... there. A pulse, faint, uneven... but there. Her breathing was so shallow he could hardly detect it; she was deeply unconscious, barely a step above death...

She'd healed him... but now...

She shouldn't have risked it, he'd told her before, he knew she didn't have the reserves... he'd seen what it cost, and forbidden...

But now... no...

“Focus!” came a sharp, insistent voice. “Kevin, breathe... deep breaths, keep your head down... slow and steady...”

The world tipped, dimmed, then righted itself.

“That's it, keep breathing deeply.”

He felt a strong hand on his back... when had he sat back down?... and realized it was Howie's sure and steady voice anchoring him. He concentrated on gathering his wits, signaling he understood. A minute later, he cautiously sat upright.

AJ's wide brown eyes met his gaze. “Holy gods, what was that?” he asked, a tinge of panic in his voice.

“I... it... Vosh!” he said, remembering. “She-”

“Easy,” AJ said quickly. “She's right there, on the couch. Are you all right?”

“Why is she... she looks so pale,” he said, starting to get up.

“Nope,” Howie said simply, pressing down on Kevin's shoulder to prevent the movement. “I barely kept you from hitting the floor the last time.”

“She's asleep, Kev,” AJ answered. “She's not hurt or anything, she just... well, it's a long story. But she's really okay. Just sleeping.”

With a trembling hand, Kevin gripped the table edge. It seemed to help, a bit.

“Flashback?” came Howie's simple question.

“Yeah,” he whispered. “When I thought she'd died, healing me... I woke up to find she'd nearly killed herself doing it...”

“But this is different,” AJ replied. “I swear, it's nothing like... that time.” He shot a glance at the Comm officer. “She fell asleep in the hangar bay, and I was just bringing her to her quarters. I only stopped here because I needed someone to palm the door.”

“The hangar bay?” Kevin repeated, confused. “What was she doing there?”

“I don't have a clue. I just turned around and there she was. You okay man?”

“Yeah, I... sorry, I didn't mean to overreact like that, it's just that-” He stopped, at a loss for words.

“It's okay,” Howie reassured. “You steady now?”

“I think so,” he said, giving a nod.

“Let's give things another minute, and then we can take Vosh to her quarters, get her settled in.”

“Yes... yeah, okay.”

“And then I'm going to call Aleta, request she make a trip over here to check everything out just to be sure.”

“Good idea,” Kevin said distractedly, watching Vosh.

Howie didn't mention that he wasn't talking about the woman on the couch.

~*~

Kevin palmed the sensor and the doorway instantly slid open. AJ stepped through, careful not to jostle the still-sleeping woman in his arms. He gently settled her on the bed and stepped back, glad to see her color was evening out.

“What was she doing in the hangar bay?” Kevin asked once more.

“I don't know,” AJ said. “I never heard a sound... I was working on the flitter, just readjusting the hydraulics, and I turned around... poof, she was there.”

“Did she say anything?”

“Nothing. Matter of fact, it took me a bit just to get her to look at me. The only response I got was when she started crying.”

Kevin's eyes widened. “Crying? Vosh... was crying?”

“I guess that's what she wanted, a place to have a good cry. For some reason that I've never understood, women seem to need to do that once in a while.”

“Not Vosh,” he said slowly.

“Kev, she is a woman, and-”

“No... I mean, she's never cried. I've never seen her do it. She told me that for her to cry would show... weakness to the Enemy.”

“But we're not the Enemy,” Howie said softly.

“Maybe this is the first chance she's had to let it all out,” AJ said. “I mean, she's safe, she's not a prisoner.”

“True, but-”

“Let's let her rest, we'll talk later,” AJ said.

“I'll call over to the Sealk,” the Comm officer said, putting a hand on Kevin's shoulder.

Kevin looked like he was going to protest until his shoulders slumped and he nodded tiredly. Leaving Vosh alone, the three headed for the bridge.

~*~

 

Ten by Louise

 

TEN

They were all there: her clanmates, her friends, those faces she only knew from her Healing efforts, those she hadn't been able to save, others she had thought long forgotten. Her people were gathered on a serene, peaceful plateau, ringed by mountains dark in the distance. None wore smiles, but there was also no grief on their faces. They simply stood, waiting. Their intent was clear.

With every fiber of her being, she yearned to join them. She knew her place among them, knew what roles she was expected to play. There, her people were safe, immune to harm or heartache save their memories of that which they had left behind. They had finally found the peace they had longed for.

She looked down at her feet, seeing the edge of a small, sparkling river. It would only take three steps to cross, but there was more to the journey than mere distance. She reached out a hand, but the people nearest her stepped back as one.

Grief and longing flooded through her. She knew, then, that she would never be able to join them.

Unable to bear the sight, she turned away. What met her gaze brought new pain.

K'vn, A'lx, N'ck... Br'n and H'wi and L'ta and E'rn were laughing, smiling, pointing to a distant city. Their joy was threaded through their excited, alien words. She stepped forward to join them, but none turned around. Together, they began to move towards the horizon.

Her feet were made of rock. For every step she managed to take, the group took five. Soon, they were running rapidly; her heart broke as she watched them disappear over a small hill.

A coldness deeper than she had ever known began freezing her very blood. She wanted to cry out, but it was impossible. Turning back towards the river, she stopped in shock. Her people were gone.

She was alone... truly alone. A soundless cry burst forth from her soul, emotions overwhelming all thought...

With a shuddering gasp, Vosh woke. Heart pounding, pulse racing, she struggled to breathe. A few minutes later, she registered where she was. Then, for the second time in a day, she wept.

~*~

The ship's Doctor settled in for the short trip, giving her companion an affable smile.

“I'm glad you agreed to come, Mikal. I know it's not part of your official duties.”

The dark-skinned man returned the smile. “For what Captain Richardson has been through, I'm nowhere near qualified,” he said. “But it'll be an honor to meet him.”

“You're highly regarded in the battle-trauma field,” Aleta countered. “You've done wonders this tour. I don't think I've seen a better adjusted crew since I became Certified. But I agree, Kevin will need very specialized help, and not just from a single source.” She glanced out the small porthole. “But honestly, it's not him I'm most worried about.”

“Oh?”

“I got a call from Howie, the Comm officer on the Parrin. He told me that Vosh seems to be having a difficult time with things lately.”

“I read your report on this Vosh,” he said quietly. “I take it no progress has been made in uncovering her attacker?”

Aleta's jaw tightened for a second. “No. Security has been conducting interviews and trying to investigate, but there's almost nothing to go on. And she refused to look through the personnel files I sent over... she kept telling Kevin that it was over, and she wanted to forget.” She sighed. “But I suspect there's more troubling Vosh than just that.”

Just that?” he asked, startled.

“I didn't mean to trivialize it,” she quickly explained. “It's just that from what I've been able to gather, she's been through a lot worse. Even Kevin doesn't know much about her past, other than she was a prisoner for a very long time.”

“The fact that she has trouble communicating only adds to the problem,” he commented.

“They've been teaching her our language, but no one is sure how much she understands. Howie seems to think she's a quick learner, but...” Her words died with a shrug.

“I imagine that's frustrating for her. What's going to happen to her once we get Home?”

She grimaced. “They'll want to practically dissect her, I'm sure,” she said unhappily. “But we're going to try and work out a plan to keep her away from the worst of it.”

Mikal shook his head. “That won't be easy.”

“No,” she reluctantly agreed.

~*~

“Vosh, please open the door,” Nick said for what seemed the hundredth time. “You have to eat, come on. I promise I won't try and teach you any more lessons, okay?”

Silence.

“I've got some hot chocolate I can make us,” he said, changing tact. “It's got those little teeny marshmallows you like. And some cookies I stashed away that no one knows about. You wouldn't want me to eat them all by myself, would you?”

He paused as he thought he heard movement beyond the door.

“We don't have to talk at all,” he continued. “Really. Just you and me, eating goodies. Come on, you have to eat.”

He was surprised when the door opened; he'd been ready to give up and leave.

“Hey, great,” he said, giving her a smile. “The rest of the guys are on duty, it'll just be us raiding the cookie jar.”

She gave him a brief, emotionless glance before stepping out into the corridor. Nick couldn't help but frown when he saw her blank expression.

“You okay?” he asked.

She signed the gesture for eat and gave him a flat stare.

“All right,” he said, trying to hide his disappointment. Perhaps the cookies would conjure a smile.

Silently they made their way to the lounge; soon, Nick was bringing two hot mugs to the table.

“There ya go,” he said, trying to keep his tone upbeat.

She simply continued to stare at the tabletop, not reaching for the drink.

Gently, he nudged the chocolate closer. “Drink up, it's better when it's hot,” he said.

Without altering her gaze, she took the mug and pulled it closer, clasping her hands around its girth.

“Cookies, coming up,” he said. He went to a cupboard, reached into the far back corner of the highest shelf, and retrieved a small sealed container.

“I got these from the baker on the Sealk,” he said. “I traded her a sketch of AJ for them... she's got no taste in men, but she sure knows cookies.”

Vosh didn't even look up.

Exasperated, he plunked down in a chair next to her. “I wish I knew how to make you smile,” he sighed.

No, came the unexpected sign.

He wondered if she meant no, he couldn't understand, or no, he couldn't make her smile.

“Will you at least help me eat the cookies? I don't share something this precious with just anyone, you know.”

With utterly no enthusiasm, she reached for a sugar-covered disk.

After a moment, Nick leaned back. “They taste better when you eat 'em,” he commented. When she finally glanced up, he waved his own cookie at her. “Look,” he said, taking a huge bite. Around the mouthful, he said, “De-li-cious!”

Several crumbs scattered across the table, propelled by his declaration. Vosh arched a single eyebrow at the table, looked back at him, and something flickered in her gray eyes. She raised the cookie and took a tiny nibble.

Nick felt like shouting in victory, but he knew better. Instead, he swallowed and took a sip of his hot chocolate. Eventually Vosh took a larger bite, and when she raised the mug to her lips, Nick allowed himself a wide grin. It wasn't much, but it had been more than anyone else... even Kevin... had been able to accomplish.

~*~

“Well,” Aleta said as she lowered her portable scanner, “you're coming along just fine, Kevin. What's the pain level on the knee?”

“Tolerable,” he said. “Not much walking room here.”

“Which is exactly why this is the best place for you right now,” she said with a smile. “Eating well? Sleeping?”

He shifted a bit. “Yeah, I-”

“He hasn't been sleeping all that well,” Brian interrupted. “And he could eat more at meals.”

When Kevin glared, Aleta laughed. “Your blood pressure is up a bit, so I'm not surprised about the sleeping. The food... well, your appetite will come back as you get used to regular meals again.”

“Regular is one thing... real is another. I'll be glad when we're not eating shipfood any more,” AJ commented, crossing his arms. “I don't care what anyone says, it just tastes better back Home.”

“Well, just under three days to go,” Aleta said, packing her equipment in her satchel.

Brian grimaced. “We've already received schedules and instructions about where to go, what to do, who to see, what to wear and when... I'm almost dreading arrival.”

“It won't be over quickly, I'm afraid,” Aleta said. “Bad enough for us, but for Kevin and Vosh...”

Kevin's face darkened. “We're supposed to be separated the minute we land. I've told them that she doesn't understand what anyone's going to be saying, and we have to stay together, but the idiots won't listen.”

“And it's not just the language, I'm sure,” Mikal interjected. “Her experience so far with us has been... less than positive. To throw her in among a new set of strangers would be damaging. A major mistake.”

“Do you think they'll listen to your professional opinion?” Brian asked hopefully.

“Doubtful. To them, the fact she's an alien, a being from another world altogether, makes her too valuable to be left alone. I can write a formal protest, give them some options I think might work, but I don't think they'll listen.”

“Options?”

“Appointing a small team to evaluate and study her in a relatively peaceful environment, for one. Not locked up in some government facility, denied access to the few people she knows.”

Kevin's hand clenched into a fist. “She deserves some peace,” he said tightly. “She's been controlled far too long.”

“I'll keep trying, too,” Aleta promised. “I have a few contacts in GovCentral, maybe they can help.” She crossed her fingers, but didn't seem too confident. “How is she doing lately?”

Kevin's anger vanished and he slumped in his chair. “Not good. Something's happened... she won't talk to me at all. I've never seen her so depressed and distant.”

“When did her behavior change?” Mikal asked.

“She seemed to be adjusting to life here just fine,” Brian said. “Howie and Nick had worked out some teaching methods, and she was intent on learning. She made great progress, as far as we can tell, until... until this weird incident with AJ.” He updated the newcomers as best he could.

Mikal leaned back against the counter, a thoughtful look on his face. “And since then, she's refused to interact in any meaningful way with you? Any of you?”

“Yeah,” Kevin said. “She doesn't even want to come out of her cabin. Nick's down there now trying to get her to eat, but I doubt he's been successful.”

“This makes perfect sense to me,” Mikal said. “I'd like to meet her, if that's possible. It would help in an evaluation... give some bones to my recommendation to the government.”

“Wait... it makes sense?”

“It does. It's a natural reaction to the changes she's been through; I've seen it before. But I know Vosh is unique; do you think she might be persuaded to answer a few questions?”

“We haven't been able to get her to do anything,” Brian said.

“If it's going to help her, I'll get her to talk,” Kevin said abruptly.

“But-”

“No, Brian, I want to understand... I need to understand what's upset her so much. We don't have time to wait, because if we haven't prepared a proper reason we need to stick together...”

“It'll only get worse,” Aleta said, agreeing.

“I'd suggest as few people around her as possible for this,” Mikal said.

Kevin stood. “You and me, then.”

“How about an audio feed?” Brian asked. “I think we all need to be in the loop.”

“Fine,” came the answer.

After Kevin and Mikal left the bridge, AJ hit a few buttons with rapid speed.

“Audio filters on, ship-wide span, Cap. As soon as we have a location, we can get a direct feed.”

Brian nodded. Perhaps they would finally get to the bottom of what was troubling their enigmatic passenger.

~*~

The countdown, begun after stability, silently continued; initial systems engaged, hidden from view. The cycle, unstoppable and inevitable, was nearly complete.

~*~

“I've never seen anyone like sweet things like you do,” Nick commented, watching Vosh consume her third cup of hot chocolate and fifth cookie.

She shocked him by setting down her mug and signing.

Easy.

“It's easy?” he said, not quite sure. At her nod, he leaned back and considered it. “I know you don't mean it's easy to eat. Wait... do you mean it's easy food for you to use?”

She tilted her head.

“You need food, energy, to do that healing thing... so maybe something with lots of sugar gives you quick energy. Easy energy. Is that it?”

A nod. She went back to her cookie.

Nick smiled. “Well, that's a great excuse for having a sweet tooth. And I bet you never gain weight either, because you're using it right away. Man,” he said wistfully, “I think that would be awesome.”

She stopped drinking, put down her cup, and frowned.

Before Nick could ask what was wrong, Kevin and a stranger came through the doorway.

“Glad to see you eating,” Kevin said, his voice carefully neutral. “You need to keep up your strength.”

In response, Vosh set down the last of her cookie and pushed her cup away. She didn't look him in the eye.

Kevin frowned. “Ah, this is Mikal Batai. He'd like to ask you some questions. Is that okay?”

When Vosh looked up, she noticed the man next to Kevin. Her eyes grew wide as she stared at the stranger.

Mikal stood still, hands at his side.

She rose, a look of intrigue on her face. With caution, she took a few steps towards the awaiting man. When he simply smiled, she moved the rest of the way to stand in front of him. Her gaze searched his face, then dropped to his arm.

Slowly, he raised his arm for her study.

Vosh looked up briefly, a question in her eyes. He gave a small nod, not really sure what she was asking but not wanting to interfere.

With her index finger, she traced a line along the surface of his skin, then examined her fingertip. With wonder, she repeated the gesture and looked back up. She made a single sign.

All,” Kevin interpreted. “I think she's referring to your skin color. She's asking if it's all over.”

“Yes,” Mikal said, a surprised laugh punctuating his words.

Another sign.

“No,” Kevin answered, “it doesn't hurt. It's natural, he was born this way. Many people back Home have dark skin. It's normal.”

“There are many shades of skin,” Mikal said, amused.

Again she signed; Kevin only understood some.

“She said 'beautiful', but I'm not sure-”

“She said 'beautiful like the earth',” Nick said. “Earth, like the soil that plants grow in.” At Kevin's questioning eyebrow, he said, “We were talking about fruit and vegetables, and how they are produced. Howie taught her most of that.”

“Thank you,” Mikal said to Vosh, inclining his head towards her.

“Vosh,” Kevin said, “would you answer some questions Mikal has?”

The woman's brief interest faded visibly. He saw her retreat.

“Vosh, please. We want to understand what's bothering you, and this will help.”

No help.

“What's that supposed to mean, 'no help'?” he asked.

Leave alone.

“I'm not leaving you alone,” he said, his frustration growing. “Why are you acting like this?”

Truth.

“Truth?”

Vosh's jaw clenched. She responded with a flurry of signs and gestures; Kevin was lost almost immediately. He looked briefly at Nick.

“Sorry, man, I have no idea,” the youngest said.

“Vosh, wait, wait,” Kevin said, holding up a hand. “I don't understand.”

YES, she signed.

“She's upset because you don't understand,” Mikal said gently.

“Well of course I don't understand,” Kevin grated, “she won't explain!”

“I don't think she's speaking about a specific thing,” Mikal continued.

“What?”

“Vosh, I know you're upset. Kevin's only trying to help. Are you angry at him?”

It took a moment for her to respond.

No.

“The others? Nick here, or Captain Brian?”

No.

“It's bigger than that, isn't it?”

Her refusal to answer was enough.

“Is it about what happened on the Sealk?”

Sadness seemed to descend on the small figure.

No. She wrapped her arms around herself.

“Are you looking forward to arriving Home?”

She looked up, tears in her eyes.

No.

Kevin was shocked at her reply. “What? What do you mean, you aren't looking forward to-”

“It's not her Home,” Nick said as the revelation hit. “That's it, isn't it?” he asked her.

She bowed her head and hugged herself tighter.

Kevin sat down in the nearest chair, bewildered at the statement. She doesn't want to go Home? I thought she wanted to make a new life... All we endured, and now...

It was Nick that went to the distraught woman, carefully placing a hand on her shoulder. When she tried to step away, he spoke.

“You can't shrug off your cookie buddy, V. I'll begin to think you hate me.”

She sniffed, then shook her head. He gathered her in a cautious hug, patted her back, and released her.

“Vosh?”

Kevin's voice, although quiet, captured her attention. She easily caught the pain humming along with his words.

“Why... didn't you say anything? How can you not want a new life back Home, even if it's not your original home?”

He had to wait nearly a minute for her shaky, simple reply.

Not V'sh, dead.

The statement left him both cold and confused.

“What did she say?” Mikal asked.

“Literally, she said 'not Vosh, dead'. But I'm not sure what she means.”

“I'm lost as well,” the trauma specialist said.

“Makes three of us,” Nick commented.

“We don't understand,” Kevin said. “Please...”

Without energy, she signed one more time.

K'vn, N'ck, Br'n, all know. L'ta, know. All make. V'sh, not. Stop. End.

~*~

Up on the bridge, Brian listened as Kevin translated the last of Vosh's explanations. He looked at AJ, then Aleta. Both shook their heads.

“Well that's as clear as mud,” he muttered. “It makes no sense.”

“I think she's trying,” Aleta offered. “But obviously this... whatever it is... is complicated. And very emotional, which means it's really important to her.”

“So we'll just have to figure it out,” AJ said. “Maybe Mikal understands something.”

“Let's hope so.”

~*~

Despite efforts to continue their discussion, Vosh withdrew and wouldn't speak further. Finally, Kevin backed off and asked the two men to go on back to the bridge, where he would join them later.

He sat for a long time, studying the forlorn figure huddled on the lounge couch. He truly couldn't understand her, and language was only part of the problem.

He could rationalize that she'd be reluctant to share her problems with the others; after all, they were relatively new acquaintances. But they'd been through so much together... shared things that most people couldn't possibly comprehend. Together, they had survived the Enemy. He'd thought that counted for something, but now he wasn't sure at all.

How could she not want to go Home? What, really, was the alternative? She knew a return to her original homeworld was impossible; she had no idea where it was located.

Was she afraid? He mulled it over. She'd rarely shown fear, even when faced with Enemy atrocities. He'd seen it in her eyes only in the aftermath of certain torture sessions he'd been subject to; it was fear he understood. He, too, had thought his wounds were fatal. Even then, though, the fear had been held in check, and she'd pushed past it with determination. It couldn't be what was upsetting her now.

Had they pushed her too far, expected too much, too soon? It had been a whirlwind time; their escape and pod retrieval, her imprisonment... then the attack in the cell. He didn't care what she said, it still had to have shaken her deeply. She'd healed his hand, no small thing; then, the shock of seeing AJ, the trip back to the Parrin, and her immediate plunge into lessons that were undoubtedly difficult. Although both Howie and Nick had reported she was eager to learn, and had done amazingly well, he had to wonder if it hadn't become overwhelming. That would track with her sudden refusal to continue.

But it just didn't feel right. She knew how to express herself well enough that if she were being fed too much information, she would be able to put a stop to it. And they'd said she insisted on being taught how to use the equipment and programs on her own; it wasn't the mark of someone unable to handle the tasks.

Not V'sh, dead.

K'vn, N'ck, Br'n, all know. L'ta, know. All make. V'sh, not. Stop. End.

Her messages didn't make sense. Being tired from lack of sleep didn't help his reasoning processes; he felt edgy and exhausted.

Shakily, he stood, ignoring the twinge of pain his knee sent in protest.

“Vosh,” he said wearily, “I don't know what's going on, but I promise you we'll figure something out.”

She looked up, her face pale, but didn't answer.

“I've got to get some rest. I'm not ignoring you, I just... just need to lie down, get off this leg for a while. Okay?”

She stood silently, giving him a measuring look. A few seconds later, she nodded and moved to his side. When she took his hand and pulled him towards the door, he interrupted.

“No, I can get to my quarters by myself, it's-”

He stopped when he saw the emotion in her silver-gray eyes. He couldn't refuse her help. He'd never been able.

“Alright,” he said tiredly.

The trip took what seemed like forever. With each step his fatigue grew, although he couldn't understand why. By the time they arrived at his cabin, he was ready to drop. With Vosh's help, he made it to his bunk and sank down with a groan.

She removed his boots, helped him to lie down, then pulled a light blanket up to his chest. He didn't have the energy to protest, and less than a minute later he was asleep.

She watched him succumb; when she was sure he was fully sleeping, she placed a gentle hand on his head. Closing her own eyes, she searched.

His physical pain was easy to find; although it took a while, she was able to remove most of it from his body as she deepened his sleep. The flow to his knee was wrong, worse than usual. She knew he'd been ignoring it, despite L'ta's orders. Going through the Focusing ritual twice, she narrowed her concentration until she could follow his very blood pulse.

Tissue, vibrating darkly with damage, blocked the rightful flow; further, muscle was swollen, pushing against bone supports. There... pieces, more than should be, all angles wrong and angry. Cutting, slicing into tendon, crowding nerve-sparks and grinding flesh.

Patterns, not wanting to shift... pushing, she travels the way, demanding alignment. Resistance...

She sent back the energies she had stolen earlier in order to make K'vn sleep; this time, however, she used them to repair.

Time meant nothing to her; it had been a lifetime since she'd done such delicate and demanding Healing. The damage was vast, so she concentrated on only the worst areas. Her goal was to simplify K'vn's injury so that his own Healers could easily repair was was left. For once, she could ignore the cost to herself. She didn't matter, anyway; she had no place in their future.

Knowing this, she doubled her efforts. She hoped he would forgive her.

 

Eleven by Louise

 

“Shuttle's clear, Cap,” AJ reported.

“Very well,” Brian replied, standing and stretching. “Call Howie for duty shift. Nick, you have the Conn.”

“What?” the youngest said, startled.

Brian laughed. “You have the Conn until Howie gets here and relieves AJ. Don't let the awesome power corrupt you, okay?”

Nick grinned and practically dove into the command chair.

“Oh, and try not to, I don't know, crash into an asteroid or something.”

“I'll do my best. Hmm... Captain Nick. Has a ring to it, ya know?”

“Like a circus,” AJ said smoothly.

With a snort, Brian left the bridge.

A growl from his stomach told him it was mealtime, but he ignored it. First, he wanted to check on Kevin. He'd heard the reluctant admittance earlier, when Kevin was speaking to Vosh, about how tired he'd become. Most likely the man hadn't realized the audio feed was still active; he'd never admit such a weakness to his fellow crew.

Brian held back a sigh. Kevin had a long way to go, and if he didn't learn to open up to his friends, it would be even longer. At least Vosh still seemed to have the ability to get him to do what was needed as far as his recovery went.

Vosh... hers was another problem, one they absolutely had to solve. Mikal had promised to do some research once he and Aleta returned to the Sealk; no one had been able to shed any light on the dilemma so far. It was obvious that Vosh had tried to explain, but there was a large gap in understanding. Whatever had changed in the last couple of days had to be corrected; it pained him to see her so unhappy. As he rounded the final corner leading to Kevin's cabin, he wondered if they would ever see Vosh smile.

He rapped lightly on the door, not expecting an answer. Using his override, he palmed the lock and stepped into the room.

~*~

Howie arrived on the bridge and raised an eyebrow when he saw Nick.

“Has there been a mutiny I missed?” he said, grinning and sending a wink over to AJ.

“Ha, ha. Everyone's a comedian. I'd make a great captain!”

“If you were Captain,” AJ said as he rose from his seat, “I'd be the leader of the mutiny.”

“You're just jealous,” Nick said, taking his proper place. “When-”

Code Five Emergency, Cabin A-6, STAT!”

The trio froze, not expecting to hear the shouted call. In a split second, Howie's hands flew over his control board. While AJ exited the bridge at a run, he sent a call back to Brian.

“AJ's on his way, what do you need?”

Tell AJ to get the life-unit, and call over to the Sealk for med assist,” came the urgent reply.

“Aye,” Howie said. He exchanged a worried look with Nick and did as asked.

~*~

AJ carried the life-unit as fast as he could, trying not to let panic overtake his thoughts. A Code Five... life in danger. Cabin A-6... that'd be Kevin.

He skidded to a halt, palmed the door, and rushed through, letting his training take over. In seconds he had the unit on the floor, the case flipped open, and the power activated. Only then did he look at the figure Brian was bent over.

Vosh!

Brian had already begun resuscitation procedures on her; her skin was appallingly pale, and it was obvious she wasn't breathing on her own. A quick glance towards the bunk gave him a second shock: Kevin was sound asleep. How could he sleep through the emergency? What had happened?

He pushed his questions back. Focusing on Brian, he activated the unit and waited for information.

“I found her lying here, not breathing. No pulse I could detect, her lips were blue. Her skin was still warm, but cooler than it should be,” Brian said, settling the auto-breather between her lips. He waited until he was sure it was functioning before turning to AJ.

“Kevin hasn't moved, but he's breathing,” he continued. “Try to rouse him.”

AJ quickly went to Kevin's side, shaking him firmly. He called his name several times, and shook even harder. There was no response whatsoever.

“Looks like he's deep asleep,” he reported. “Pulse... slow and steady, and his breathing is even. Could he have over-medicated?”

Brain shook his head. “Nothing Aleta gave him would have done that,” he said. “And that wouldn't explain... explain Vosh.” His eyes went back to the still woman.

“What happened to her?” AJ asked.

“Not sure,” Brian said. “And I have no idea how long she's been like this.” He checked her pulse. “She was barely talking to Kevin earlier... there's only one reason she'd be here now.”

“That healing thing?”

“I'm guessing that's it,” Brian said lowly. He studied the life-unit readouts. “Oxygen levels are slowly rising... pressure is way too low.” He adjusted a few dials, not bothering to hide his frown.

~*~

The silent countdown came to a close as zero approached. Hidden mechanisms activated; the last of the system's power was diverted to the small device. A glow, unseen by any eyes, grew quickly. Then, as zero hit, the glow blossomed. Mission, complete.

~*~

Aleta was reaching to activate the incoming signal flashing on her desk when she felt the entire deck shudder. Seconds later, alert sirens sounded through the Med-Bay, and she activated her earpiece. The signal from the Parrin was forgotten as she ran out the door, trauma team right behind.

~*~

“What's the response from the Sealk?” Brian said to Howie via commlink.

“Med-Bay isn't responding,” came Howie's frustrated voice. “I'm picking up all kinds of signals... something's happening over there. I'll keep trying.”

“Dammit,” Brian muttered. Turning to AJ, he said, “We can't wait. Prep a standard IV, pack number 3. Then go get a transport board; we'll take her into the Lounge for now, there's room there.”

“Aye,” AJ said, moving smoothly. He handed over the requested items and left the room quickly.

“Darlin',” he whispered as he bent close to Vosh. “What did you do?” He inserted the IV. “Don't you know you're important to us, too?”

Silence was the only answer he received.

~*~

Howie stood in the doorway for a moment, observing his Captain. From the concerned look on his face, he realized the woman had not responded as hoped. He saw Brian reach up and brush back some strands of hair that had fallen across her cheek; the gesture was gentle, and oddly intimate.

He cleared his throat and entered the Lounge. “I finally have the report on what happened over there,” he said. “It's taken this long just to get a clear summation.”

Brian glanced up at the clock. “Nearly an hour,” he said, scowling. “I take it something major occurred.”

“The escape pod that Kevin and Vosh used must have had some kind of self-destruct mechanism that wasn't detected. It blew just about the time we were calling over there for med-assist. Aleta had her hands full.”

“What extent was the damage?”

“It took out about half the landing bay,” he said. “Luckily that area is heavily shielded, or it could have taken out most of the ship. Five crewmen are dead, and another seven injured.”

Brian shook his head. “Five... and we are so close to Home.”

“I finally did talk to Aleta and described our situation here. She said that until they make some basic repairs, the landing bay is non-operational. She can't get over here by shuttle.”

The Captain rubbed a hand over his face. “Any time estimates?”

“They're telling me between four and five hours. Aleta said that we can hook up a comm link, and she'll try to do what she can from there.”

“Do it,” came Brian's tired, short reply.

“Patching through on two,” the Communications officer said, activating the link through the wall unit. Aleta's disheveled visage appeared.

“Captain,” she said, nodding. “Sorry to keep you waiting.”

“Not your fault,” Brian said at once.

“You've got a life-unit activated,” she said. “Send me the data stream.”

He did so, watching her reaction to the readouts.

“I see you've given her a pack 3,” she muttered. “Good, that was exactly the right call. I don't like some of these numbers... she's been like this for approximately forty-five minutes?”

“Yes, but I don't know how long she'd been out before I found her,” he said.

“I'll send some adjustments along,” Aleta said. “Put the unit on auto-receive.”

Ten minutes later, Aleta's expression eased. “Much better,” she said with a nod. “How's her color look?”

“A lot better,” Brian said, glad to see the chalkiness gone from Vosh's skin.

“I'd add a supplement kit to her IV,” she said. “The boost in sugar and vitamins should help bring her back to normal. Now, what about Kevin?”

“AJ's been with him. He's way out, won't respond to calls or shaking.”

“Just a very deep sleep?” she asked.

“That's what it seems like.”

“Give him a stim,” she directed. “Single dose, check his responsiveness, give another if he's not awake. No more than three.”

“Will do.”

At Brian's nod, Howie retrieved the stims from the general medical kit on the wall and headed to Kevin's cabin.

“How are your injured?” Brian asked.

“We're lucky the force of the explosion was fairly contained. I've got two on critical watch; I was able to release one, and the others are under observation.” She shook her head. “It's going to be a long couple of shifts.” She paused. “What do you think happened to Vosh?”

He hesitated. “I'm not sure. I'm hoping Kevin will shed some light on this whole thing.”

~*~

Aleta leaned back and rubbed at her tired eyes. She was silently going through treatment protocols when a voice interrupted her thoughts.

“Been that kind of day, hasn't it?”

“Hello, Lieutenant,” she said, giving Rich Raines a smile. “I'm afraid it has been.”

“From the reports, you and your staff performed above and beyond today,” he said. “You'll never hear it from our sage Captain... but thanks.”

She gave a short laugh. “Heaven knows I didn't take this job for the thanks.”

“This has been a tough tour,” he said thoughtfully. “Any regrets?”

“About signing on as head of Medical? No, not at all. I only wish I'd gotten Certified sooner. Now, as far as choosing a position under Miles...”

He grinned. “We all got the short end of the straw on that aspect,” he said. He looked at the monitors over her desk and his expression sobered. “How are they doing?”

She glanced at the readouts. “Stable, both of them. There's been slight improvement in Baker's condition, if he keeps going in that direction I'll be able to upgrade his status in a few hours. The others are under observation, and should be released within a day.”

“Well, I've come to collect the death reports if you have them ready,” he said. “Miles can sign them off so I can inform the families.”

“That's a Captain's duty,” she said, frowning.

“He always has me add a nice little condolence script on his behalf.” Raines frowned. “It says the exact same thing each time.”

Aleta leaned back, disgusted. “What is that man going to do once we get back Home?” she said. “He's worse than useless as a commander.”

“Rumor has it he's going into politics,” he answered.

She winced, then rolled her eyes. “Great,” she muttered. “Just what the post-war government needs.”

“Speaking of which... any thought on what you'll be doing once we get back?”

“Me?” she asked, surprised. “I can't imagine doing anything but healing. I've talked to Howie and the others on the Parrin, and once things settle down we're going to start a medical clinic, maybe a settlement where people can begin anew.” She gave a slight smile. “Building instead of destroying, healing instead of hurting.”

Raines nodded. “You're a fantastic Doctor,” he said. “I can't see you doing anything else, really. I wish I knew what I wanted to get into myself.”

“Keep us in mind,” she said, gathering the reports that he had requested. “You've got plenty of tech skills, I'm sure there would be a welcome place for you anywhere.”

“Thanks, Doc,” Rich said. “I will.”

He left, and Aleta replayed the conversation in her head. Yes, it would be wonderful to be healing, to be helping in a truly meaningful way once she got Home. It would gladly be her life's work. She agreed with Rich; she couldn't imagine doing anything else.

~*~

He reluctantly left the soft comfort of sleep; someone was shouting, pushing, calling-

“Howie?” he mumbled, squinting to focus.

“You awake?”

“Mmm- awake. Why?” He blinked. “What?”

“We need you fully awake and aware,” Howie said. “Hold on.” He applied a second stim.

“Ow... hey,” Kevin complained, sitting up. He drew in a deep breath. “What's happening? I was really asleep.”

“You weren't asleep,” came the correction. “You were totally out of it. You didn't take any drugs today, did you?”

“Drugs? No, nothing.”

Howie frowned. “You're sure.”

“Yes, I'm sure,” Kevin said. “What-”

“How do you feel?”

“I feel fine,” he said. Then, he paused. Several long seconds passed. “I feel... my knee, it's-”

“Healed?” Howie guessed.

With an astonished look, Kevin stood, testing the joint. “The pain, it's gone! But-” He froze. “Oh my god,” he said. “Vosh- where's Vosh?”

“Come on,” he answered. “Brian's with her in the Lounge.”

For the first time in more than half a year, Kevin ran.

~*~

Brian heard the footsteps as they rapidly approached. The second a figure appeared in the doorway, he held up a hand.

“She's stable, breathing on her own, but still unconscious. Aleta's been directing treatment over a link.”

Kevin shut his mouth, his volley of questions vanishing not only with the statement, but with the startling sight of the small figure on the table.

“Oh, god,” he whispered, swaying just a bit. “She...”

“Steady,” Howie advised, placing a hand on his friend's back.

“Brian?” The word was soft but full of emotion.

“Do you remember what happened?” the Captain asked evenly.

“No, I... we were talking, and I thought I'd lie down for a bit. She walked me back, and... next thing I know Howie's waking me.”

“From the way you were tearing down the corridor, I'd guess that you're feeling better.”

“My knee,” Kevin said, gesturing. “There's almost no pain at all. It feels... right. Like it used to, before.” He approached Brian's side. “But I don't understand.”

“Well obviously Vosh healed you,” he began.

“But I thought the damage was too old, and too severe, for her to help,” he said, confused. “Why would she even try? It's always been far too dangerous-”

“When I found her, lying on the floor of your cabin, she wasn't breathing,” Brian said bluntly. “I could barely detect a pulse.”

“She could have died...” Kevin said, anguish on his face as he regarded her pale skin. “She knows better than to try and-” He stopped. “She knew better.”

Brian and Howie watched his expression go from shock to realization. A look of utter despair settled behind his eyes.

“She knew what she was doing,” he said in a bare whisper. “What it would cost her. And she did it anyway.” He swallowed several times. “Oh, Vosh...”

“Kev?” Brian asked softly.

Wet-rimmed eyes looked up. “She over-extended herself on purpose,” he said shakily. “I don't think she cared about being... being saved.”

It was Brian's turn to be shocked. “Are you saying she tried to kill herself?”

“No,” he said slowly. “But I'm saying that as miserable as she was, I think she pushed past her limits without caring about the consequences. It never occurred to me that... that she didn't want to go Home with us. I thought she'd be happy, that she'd want to make a new life.”

“From what you've told us about her,” Brian said, “I think there's got to be more to it than that. Just giving up... it's too easy. It doesn't seem to fit her character.”

“But what else could it be?” he asked.

“It's something that we don't understand,” Howie said. “Not yet. She was trying to tell us, but there's just too much of a gap. I mean... how could she have fought so hard for survival, all this time, and now that we're so close to freedom, she gives up?”

Kevin took Vosh's hand, not knowing what to say. Brian placed a hand on his shoulder.

“Watch over her, will you? Howie and I are going back up to the bridge, I want to see what we can do to get Aleta over here.”

A nod was his answer. A minute later, he sat down in the chair Brian had vacated, eyes never leaving Vosh's ashen face.

~*~

Dr. Aleta Simpson signed off the final duty report for the shift and stood, stretching out the tension in her overworked muscles. Her staff would be more than adequate in caring for the remaining patients for a while; she needed rest and a bit of food. The latter she took care of with a quick stop at the cafeteria, grabbing a sandwich and a nutri-drink. To take care of the former, she headed to her quarters.

She had just finished the light meal when her private message chime sounded. Curious, she activated her vidscreen and found herself looking into worried brown eyes.

“Howie?”

“Aleta, sorry to bother you, I know you're off shift...”

“No, it's fine. What's up?”

She listened as Howie updated her on Vosh's condition and what Kevin had revealed. When he was finished, she sat back with a sigh.

“The whole situation keeps getting stranger,” she said. “The last report I got from the Launch bay said repairs would be done within two hours, enough to get the medical shuttle out. I plan on coming over as soon as I can.”

Howie smiled over their connection. “Good. I'll be glad to see you.”

She raised an eyebrow. “Oh?”

He self-consciously cleared his throat, and she thought she could detect a slight blush. “Well, you know, to see you here so you can check out Vosh.”

She grinned. “So in a strictly professional capacity, then?”

“Well, I... ah...”

Laughing, she said, “Howie, you are almost too sweet. You don't have to be shy around me, I promise... and once we get back Home, you'd better be prepared to see me hanging around an awful lot.”

“I think I could handle that,” he said with a smile.

“I'm going to hop into the shower and then grab a cat-nap. I'll be over as soon as they clear things.”

“See you then. And, thanks,” he added, giving her a nod before signing off.

Aleta lingered in the shower, allowing herself the luxury of an untimed flow. With the ship approaching Home in a matter of days, restrictions had been eased. She indulged in her favorite special soap, letting the sweet and spicy fragrance swirl around the small stall. As the heat and scent eased her tension, her mind began to drift.

Vosh. Howie's news of the latest event troubled her greatly; what could have driven the alien to such despair? She was free, safe from the Enemy after who-knew-how long, and about to set foot on solid ground. After the initial fervor died down, Vosh would be able to live a relatively normal life. Of course, she wouldn't have to worry about healing others, so she could-

Aleta's eyes widened in a flash of insight.

Not V'sh, dead. K'vn, N'ck, Br'n, all know. L'ta, know. All make. V'sh, not. Stop. End.

Despite the warmth of the water cascading over her body, she felt a shiver race across her skin.

She understood.

Abandoning her sanctuary, Aleta scrambled to dry off and dress. With all thoughts of sleep gone, she activated her comm and dialed the one person whose opinion she trusted.

“Mikal Batai,” came the smooth voice.

“Mikal, I need to speak to you right away.”

~*~

He leaned back. “I can't give my judgment until I know the entire truth, Aleta,” he said, studying her expectant face.

She looked down. “We... we're trying to keep some information secret,” she said. “Something vital about Vosh.”

“Doctor, surely you understand about confidentiality; I have taken an oath, a personal one, which I have never broken, even under Government demand. Anything you tell me, no matter the gravity, will be kept private.”

Aleta hesitated.

“If I don't have the information, I can't help,” he provided.

“Sorry, Mikal, I know I can trust you. I think you'll see why we don't want this getting around.” She took a deep breath. “You see, Kevin discovered that Vosh has the ability to heal.”

“As in, like a doctor?”

“No,” Aleta said. “Like nothing I've ever seen or imagined. She has an innate ability to take away pain, and to actually repair physical damage. From what I gather, she can direct some kind of... of energy, or something, and through concentration, focus that energy on the affected injury or area.”

“You've seen her do this?” he asked, astonished.

“I have,” she said. “And I know it's authentic. I could show you the scans of Kevin Richardson's hand when he was first brought to Sick Bay, and the scans I did directly after Vosh did a partial healing on it. We think that it wasn't a full healing because Vosh didn't have enough energy stores at the time.”

“But... that's amazing,” Mikal said.

“It is. She can heal herself, as well. Now, as you can imagine, she kept this ability secret during her imprisonment on the Enemy ship, up until she met Kevin.”

“But why did she reveal it then?”

“Only Vosh knows for sure. But as Kevin tells it, she said he was the only one who was right, whatever that means.”

“She trusted him,” Mikal said.

“Yes.”

There was a long silence. “If her ability is a natural one, then she's most likely had it all her life.”

“I believe so,” she said.

“So back on her home world, I imagine that ability would have been known.”

“Probably a safe assumption.”

“Imagine being born on a world where others had the same ability as you... a talent for healing... Surely there would be methods of training, teaching and learning.”

“Makes sense,” Aleta answered.

“She would have led her life as a Healer among her people.”

“Yes.”

“I understand her actions, then. Why she over-extended herself to heal Captain Richardson. If everyone here had determined that her Healing ability was to be kept secret, and that she be forbidden to let that secret out...”

“Then she wouldn't be able to do the only thing she'd ever known,” Aleta finished. “Being a doctor is important to me; I've done a lot of other things, but my true calling is the medical arts. If Vosh was born as a Healer, it was all she'd ever known. And to tell her that now she couldn't do it... That's what she meant, what she was trying to tell us.”

“Yes,” Mikal said, nodding his head. “If she couldn't be who she was... if she couldn't be Vosh, the Healer, then she was dead. Without purpose or meaning or significance. The rest of us, Kevin included, would be able to adapt to life back Home; we know how to belong. But she has no place in a world where she can't Heal.”

“And we were only trying to protect her,” Aleta said, pain in her voice. “I hadn't considered the effect it would have on Vosh's sense of importance.”

“This is going to be a delicate issue,” he said. “You must decide what is to be done now. Vosh really must feel useful, productive... needed. The only way she's going to truly feel that way is to let her do what she was born to do, Heal. But you're right in the fact that should the news get out to the general populace, she'd never have a second's peace. The demand for her skills would be immense, and I fear that it would overwhelm her, possibly to the point of personal injury -or worse.”

Mikal stared at the wall for a full minute, gathering his thoughts carefully. “Tell me, how is she doing right now?”

“She's stable, according to the last reports I received and Howie's observations. I really need to get over there, though, and see for myself.”

“Stable. You know,” he said slowly, “that's too bad.”

Aleta's eyes widened in shock, but before she could find her voice, Mikal held up a hand.

“If she were dead, there wouldn't be a problem.”

If he had slapped her backhanded, it would have been less of a surprise.

“Wh-” she began to sputter.

“If Vosh were dead,” he said as he rose from his desk, “there would be no interrogation, no research, no discoveries about her talent. No one to hound her for the rest of her days. No one to stop her from living a free life.”

Aleta forced herself to take a deep breath. She met his eyes and stood as well.

“That... would be true,” she agreed in a tentative tone. “But she's not dead.”

“There's been a lot of chaos and confusion since the escape pod detonated,” he continued deliberately. “With you not being able to get to the Parrin, and there being no trained emergency medtech on board...”

“A documented Code Five emergency,” she added, beginning to see where he was headed. “Her vitals were absolute minimal, and with the emergency in the landing bay I wasn't able to initiate lifesaving procedures remotely. I wasn't even aware of the crisis until much later.”

Mikal smiled. “According to our own beloved Captain Miles, Littrell and crew are barely worth the oxygen they consume. Surely they wouldn't be able to think on their feet and save the poor woman.”

“And she's an alien,” Aleta said with a spark in her eyes. “Who knows how she would have responded to the standard drugs and treatments. It's medically feasible that they might do more harm than good.”

“I imagine that Captain Richardson would have been dealt an emotional blow and suffered a setback when the alien perished. He's been through so much, everyone knows he's a bit... fragile. And surely such a shock...”

“Would require immediate attention. And with things here in the capable hands of my medical staff, it would be only right that I see to our War Hero's wellbeing.”

“As chief Medical Officer, it would indeed.”

She gave him a brilliant smile. “I do believe I have some reports to write,” she said, “and officially document the entire crisis. I'll have to break the news to Miles about the loss of his specimen. He won't be happy, especially since he lost the escape pod as well.”

“What about Vosh's body?” Mikal said with a hesitant frown.

“An alien body, which could be carrying any number of hostile viruses and disease, would be far too dangerous to transport and store. Standard practice puts the safety of human life above all else; incineration and disposal is the only sure way of providing that.” She nodded. “Our Captain is way too busy to be bothered with all this right away, so I'll make a personal visit to the Parrin and deal with everything first.”

“Will Miles be able to accept that?”

Aleta nodded. “He won't like it, but after all, she wasn't the Enemy. She was just another uninteresting non-human.”

“Please convey my condolences to Captain Richardson and the crew when you see them.”

“I'll deliver the message personally,” she promised. With a purposeful stride, she left Mikal's office and activated her communicator.

“Lieutenant Raines,” she said when he answered, “I'm going to need your expert tech assistance on a vital matter. Meet me at Medical.”

~*~

 

Twelve by Louise

TWELVE



The small medical shuttle docked with the Parrin two hours later. The lone occupant was greeted eagerly by an anxious Brian.

“Aleta,” he said as soon as she stepped into the larger ship, “Thank goodness you're here. What's the status over at the Sealk?”

She shifted her carry-all and followed him down the corridor. “They say the landing bay will be mostly functional by the time we reach Home,” she said. “A repair ship is headed towards us to facilitate things.”

“And the injured?”

“Are recovering as well as can be expected. How is Vosh?”

They rounded the corner and came upon the Lounge. “She hasn't woken yet,” he said. “But her color's better and vitals are solid.” He sighed as they entered and waved in the direction of the couch. “Kevin's crashed.”

“Not surprising,” she said, moving towards the table where Vosh lay still. She checked the monitors, adjusted the IV flows, and did a brief physical assessment of the smaller woman. “You did good work, Brian,” she said approvingly. “Exactly right.”

“She hasn't moved a muscle-”

“I think she's sleeping normally,” Aleta said, soothing his apprehension. “You said she'd done some Healing on Kevin?”

“His knee. Kevin said the pain was actually gone for the first time since the original injury. When he heard Vosh was in medical crisis, he ran... ran... all the way to the Lounge.”

She pursed her lips. “That knee was badly damaged,” she said. “I wouldn't touch it back on the Sealk; I estimated at least four surgeries to attempt repair.” From her bag she took a portable scanner. Moving it slowly over Kevin's leg, she studied the readings.

Brian grew worried at her frown. “Bad?”

“No,” she said, doing another scan. “Not exactly.”

“Not exactly?” the blond exclaimed. “What does that mean?”

“Sorry,” she said quickly. “You're right, his knee has been healed. All the major damage is gone, which I would have thought impossible. He'll need therapy to strengthen the muscles and tendons, but... Brian, I think he's going to be fine.”

“Then why are you still frowning?” he asked.

“It's good news, to be sure,” she said, putting away the scanner. She took Kevin's vitals and checked his eyes. “He's showing signs of exhaustion, which is expected. The healed knee presents a bit of a problem for what's going to happen in the near future.”

“You're not making any sense,” he ground out, frustrated.

“I know, I'm sorry. Look, can we get everyone up on the Bridge for a briefing? Minus Vosh and Kevin, of course.” To the Captain's impending protest, she said, “They'll be fine alone for a while. I have some very important stuff to discuss with the four of you.”

~*~



“...and the records have already been, ah, amended,” Aleta finished. “It should work.”

Silence filled the room.

Brian ran a hand through his hair and let out a long sigh. “But what if Vosh... what if she really does, you know, take a turn for the worse?”

“She won't,” Aleta assured him. “From what I saw on the initial monitor recording, she shouldn't have responded as quickly as she has to treatment. I would have expected her to be in much, much worse condition. You gave her the boost she needed to move away from the edge, then her own healing must have kicked in. The fact that she's sleeping, normally, is phenomenal. I don't think she's in any danger now, at all.”

“So we pretend she's dead,” AJ murmured. “Incinerate some materials and dispose of them, so that tracks with the body thing. Clever.”

“Necessary,” she said. “When we land, she can hide somewhere while you five disembark. With all the loading, unloading, and general chaos that's going to be the landing zone, she'll never be noticed. Especially since she'll be wearing one of Ensign Avar's uniforms.”

“Then... she just walks off the ship, into the general crowd, looking like a hundred other soldiers?” Nick said, a crooked grin on his face.

“Exactly,” Aleta said. “She can be escorted out of view from there, either by one of us or someone we trust.”

Brian leaned back. “That's what you were dancing around when you talked about Kevin's knee, earlier.”

“His knee?” Nick said. “But it's fine now, right?”

“Remember, Vosh is dead... and no one even suspects she could Heal. I'm afraid Kevin's knee is still in terrible shape. Luckily, I have the scans to prove it, dated after you all moved here to the Parrin. It's going to take a great deal of acting, but if he makes a show of limping and displaying pain, everyone should buy it. Of course, as his personally chosen physician, I will be in charge of every aspect of his care, including the treatment and healing of his knee... however long that may take.”

“And you'll be sure his briefings and appearances are kept to a minimum,” Howie said. “Due to his weakened condition. We can get a place together where the two of them... and ourselves, for that matter... can find some real rest and quiet time. Maybe begin some long-term plans of our own.”

“It just might work,” Brian said after a moment.

“If Kevin agrees, and I think he will, then the only obstacle to the plan is Vosh herself. She has to understand what we're doing, and why.”

“It's going to be hard to explain it all to her,” Nick said. “Even as much as she's learned, there's still a huge barrier.”

“We're going to have to try,” Aleta said. “We only have a day and a half, if that, to make it clear. Which means, to my mind, that we have to get Kevin up and aware and thinking. He knows her best, understands a lot more than any of us do.”

“Can we wake him anytime soon?” Brian asked, remembering how exhausted the man had looked.

Aleta considered it for a moment. “We'll let him sleep for four hours,” she said. “Then you can wake him, get some coffee or caffeine into his system... nothing as strong as a standard stim, but enough to get him alert. Explain the plan we've just discussed, and we'll go from there.”

“You won't be here?” Howie asked.

“I have to be back on duty soon, and there's nothing here that you all can't handle. Call me when Kevin is up and around. Vosh as well... I have no idea when that might happen.”

She stood, and Howie picked up her carry-all. “I'll walk you to the shuttle,” he said.

“Thanks, 'Leta,” AJ said. “For everything.”

~*~



Just before she boarded the shuttle, Howie placed a hand on her arm.

“Aleta, I just wanted to say that all this... everything you've done and have planned... is, well... I'm just amazed and thankful. You're risking a lot, professionally, if this falls through.”

“As far as I see it, the risk is well worth it. We all deserve a new start.” She looked into his warm brown eyes and smiled.

“You humble me,” Howie said. Then, in an unexpected move, gently gripped her shoulders and pulled her in for a long, lingering, passionate kiss.

Aleta found herself extending the kiss, her surprise giving way to pleasure. When they pulled apart, it took a few seconds for her to find her voice.

“Howie,” she said softly, “I'm... you surprised me.”

“I've been wanting to do that for a long time.” He stepped back just a bit, ignoring the blush he knew was visible.

“Well,” she said, feeling a glow, “don't wait so long before repeating that. I... we can talk later. Soon.”

He nodded, gave her a smile, and watched her close the shuttle door. A minute later, she was gone. He brushed his fingers across his bottom lip, grinned broadly, and headed back to the Bridge with a spring in his step. New beginnings, indeed.

~*~


He curled around his injured ribs, struggling to breathe. Although the pain was blinding, he didn't cry out, didn't give them the satisfaction. He'd known worse, had gotten through it before... and Vosh would help, she always did.
Another vicious kick had him seeing bright spots, but he stifled a moan and tried to move out of reach. Words, in harsh Enemy language, told him of his tormentor's anger and frustration. A fleeting smile touched his lips; he had won, again.
Suddenly everything shifted, and he found himself in his cell, only now the solid door was replaced by clear glass. He stood, confused, and wondered how the change had happened. Then, to his horror, he watched as his most recent tormentor appeared, his harsh grip on Vosh's arm as he dragged her into view.
He tried to call out, but his voice was no more than a whisper. Pounding on the glass got no reaction, and although he saw the Enemy's mouth move, he could hear nothing. Then the blows began.
Vosh was huddled into a ball, not resisting, as the Enemy dealt hit after hit. He yelled for Vosh to run, to escape, but even though his voice worked now, nothing penetrated the glass. The Enemy was hurting her, killing her, and he could do nothing about it.
Vosh was bloody and bruised, succumbing to the Enemy, when he suddenly saw movement behind the pair. Brian... it was Brian! He would help, he could do something...
Brian aimed a weapon at the Enemy and, once the tormentor had backed up, motioned to Vosh. She stood, shakily, and faced Brian.
He felt a wash of relief flood over him, knowing that Brian would save her now. She would be safe, Brian would release him from the cell, and they would gain their freedom. Together.
Then he watched with confused shock as Vosh shook her head, backed up, and refused Brian's hand. Instead, she moved towards the Enemy. The tormentor grabbed her, whipped out a weapon of its own, and shot Brian dead.
His screams went no farther than the glass wall. When the Enemy turned the weapon on Vosh, she did not resist, and with a careless gesture, he sent a single blast to her heart...

“No!” he shouted, wrenching upwards. Heart pounding, he frantically looked around in confusion.

“Easy, bro,” came a familiar voice and a firm grip on his arm. “Dream.”

“What-”

“Nightmare. Take a couple of deep breaths. You're safe, you're here on the Parrin.”

Kevin felt nausea surge and clenched his teeth against it. Eyes shut tightly, he willed his thoughts to calm.

“Better,” came the voice. “Give it a sec.”

“AJ,” he said as he finally focused. “Damn.” Another deep breath.

“You okay now?”

“It was a dream, back on the-” He jolted, remembering. “Vosh!”

“Eight feet away, sleeping soundly,” AJ said evenly. “Aleta was here, checked her out. Said she was doing fine, and was sleeping naturally.”

“But-”

“It was some nightmare you had, Kev. Shake it off, because I have a lot of things to talk to you about.”

The older man stood, a bit unevenly, and, after giving a long look at Vosh, made his way to the sink. He splashed his face several times, took a few more calming breaths, and walked back to sit by AJ.

“You with me now?”

“Yeah, sorry,” Kevin apologized. “I just-”

AJ cut him off with a hand gesture. “Don't apologize, there's no need whatsoever. Coffee and something to eat, coming up. Doc's orders, it'll just be a minute.”

While AJ moved to the kitchen unit, Kevin leaned back and rubbed his face. Part of the nightmare had been real, but the worst part...

He shook his head, trying to dispel the images. He glanced over to Vosh, relieved to find no bruises or blood marring her skin.

“Here ya go,” AJ said, setting a tray between them. “You've been out for over three hours; guess that dream saved me from waking you up. We're gonna talk, then you can get some more rest. No, eat first, then questions.”

Kevin sighed, then reached for a fork. There was no use arguing with AJ when he had that look on his face. After the first bite, he found himself digging in with vigor. He wasn't sure how long it had been since he'd eaten, but his hunger was intense.

AJ nodded in approval. Flipping on his communicator, he contacted the Bridge. “Howie, notify the Captain that Kev's awake, then transmit the message to Aleta.”

“Will do,” came the reply.

~*~



Brian disconnected the monitor and removed the IV from Vosh, as Aleta had instructed. The only response he got was a tiny shift of her head and a soft, silent sigh. It was enough, however.

“So,” Kevin said slowly, “we're to rendezvous somewhere out of the public eye afterwards?”

“Exactly where, we haven't figured out,” AJ said. “They'll probably not let you alone until you've made some appearances and been debriefed to their satisfaction. Might take a while.”

“But Vosh... she won't be in the middle of all that.”

“Nope.”

“The place should be isolated, difficult to get to,” Brian said. “But not so far out that we can't get supplies on a regular basis. And we'll need room enough for all of us... six here, Aleta, and Rich Raines at the very least.”

“I know where,” Kevin said. “My family home. It's in the Eastern Woods near Kith. My folks ran a small rustic resort there before...” He cleared his throat. “Well, when they were alive, before I moved to the city.”

“Kith is a fairly large town,” AJ said, trying to recall details. “We should be able to make that work. What about security? You know there will be people dogging your heels.”

“We never needed security,” Kevin said, considering. “It shouldn't be that hard, just the distance alone will keep most of the curious away.”

“Let me work on that,” AJ said, making a mental note. “I'll consult with Raines, I think he's got connections back Home.”

“From there, we can let the dust settle, get our heads straight, and figure out what we all want to do. Make plans, discuss ideas. Vosh, included,” Brian added.

Kevin's eyes went to the woman in question, unable to keep a worried frown off his face. “Vosh, especially,” he said quietly. “Damn it.” His hand clenched into a white-knuckled fist.

“Kev?” Brian asked carefully.

The oldest turned, pain in his expression. “I failed her,” he grated. “She did everything for me, and I failed her completely. If only I had realized-”

“There's no way you could have known what she was thinking,” Brian cut in. “Don't pile on guilt, this wasn't your fault.”

“She had given up,” Kevin practically spat. “She was so depressed before she took on that damned knee healing, and I never saw it! How could I have not noticed that she was that miserable?” He stood and began to pace. “She healed me so many times on that cursed ship, fought for my very survival, and how do I repay her? By not hearing what she kept saying. We had all decided what was best... to have her hide her ability, not just now but to keep it secret after we got Home as well. To deny what she was, what she did. No wonder she gave up!”

“She didn't give up,” Brian said in a hard voice. “She survived, didn't she? Even Aleta says that wasn't because of what we did. Something inside her fought to come back.”

“She wouldn't have even been in this situation if she hadn't gone behind my back and Healed me. Why the hell did she heal my knee?” Kevin said angrily. “She knew it was too complicated, too intricate to try and do. She even told me as much, before.”

“Maybe,” AJ said, “if she thought we wouldn't let her continue to Heal once we arrived Home... she knew this would be her last chance to help you. To tend to the worst injury you still had.”

“But there are surgeons back home, technology-”

“Kevin. She healed you... because she loves you,” Brian said softly.

He blinked, the words stopping him cold.

“But... we... I never-”

“You can't deny it. After all, you love her as well.”

He wanted to protest but found he couldn't.

“I'm not talking about romantic love,” Brian qualified. “This is deeper.”

When he heard the words, he knew the truth in them. Of course. Of course he loved her.

“I... guess it's true,” he said slowly.

“And it's going to take all that and more to make a new life for her. For you.”

“How come I never saw things that way?” Kevin said in a whisper.

“I think you've been a little busy just trying to survive,” AJ said, crossing his arms. “I mean, it wasn't exactly a cruise ship you were on.”

“You're out of danger now, you're safe, and Vosh is with you. I think you would have figured it out eventually,” Brian added.

“So... now what?”

“Now we work hard to explain all this to Vosh, and get her to realize that we were wrong. And that we'll do everything we can to help her.”

~*~



Nick applied a bit more color to the sketch in hand, trying to get the essence of Aleta's eyes just right. When he was finished, he'd be able to get almost anything he wanted from Howie in exchange. He'd seen the goo-goo eyes the Comm officer had made every time he'd seen the Doc. If there was ever a man that had it bad, it was Howie.

“Probably get a bundle for this portrait,” he said to himself. “Hmm... no, money's too easy. He could just owe me a ton of favors. Yeah, that could be useful.”

He selected another color and added a few strokes. “Who knows, maybe I could get good enough to make a living at this. Nick Carter, ex-military hero turned renowned artist. Female nude portraits my specialty,” he said, snickering. “Yeah, like that's gonna happen. Dream on, Carter. You probably couldn't get someone to pose for you if you paid them.” He paused. “Well, actually, I guess artists do pay for models... Come to think of it, Howie's bundle of cash just might come in handy.”

He looked up and did a double-take when he saw a pair of silver-gray eyes studying him. He'd been on Vosh-watch, as he called it, for nearly two hours.

“Hey!” he said, setting down his materials. “Welcome back.”

Vosh blinked, then rubbed her face.

“How you feeling?”

She considered it, then gave him the okay sign. She sat up, brushed the hair from her face, and scanned the room.


Kevin? she signed.

“He's resting in his quarters,” Nick said. “You scared the hell out of him, V... not to mention the rest of us.”

A slight tilt of the head.

“Before you ask,” Nick continued, “his knee is healed just fine. He even ran on it. And yeah, he was majorly ticked when he found out you did it.”

A quick sign.

“Ticked... means angry.”

That she seemed to understand, and dismissed it with a shrug. A few more signs.

Nick nodded. “Yeah, you did it anyway because it was your choice, not his.” He got up and walked over to the kitchen unit. “I'll get you some juice. Want a couple of cookies too?”

At her ambivalent nod, he fixed the snack and came over to the couch, taking a seat next to her. “Aleta said you might want some sweet things. Help boost your energy.”

While she ate, he notified the others that she was awake and coherent. By the time she was done, a lost and troubled look had settled on her face.

“Did you want something else?” he asked.

A small shake of her head informed him no. She cast her eyes down to the floor.

Nick took in a deep breath. “While you've been asleep, we've done a lot of talking,” he said. “Trying to figure stuff out. About you, and Home, and everything. We all want you to be happy-”

She didn't bother to glance up. Instead, she drew her legs up and clasped her arms around them, burying her face in her knees.

“Hold on, V,” Nick said. “Don't... please don't do that. I know I'm about the least qualified guy around to figure you out, but I do know that hiding isn't going to help.”

When she didn't move, he bit his lip, trying to decide what to do. Memories of comforting his sisters came to mind and he did the only thing he could think of. Carefully, he moved closer, and put a cautious arm around her shoulders. When she didn't pull away, he tightened the embrace and leaned in close.

“It's gonna be all right, I promise,” he said softly. “We'll figure it all out, you'll see.”

He felt a tremble, but wasn't sure if she was crying. It didn't matter, really. He drew her to him, and when she rested her head on his chest, he continued murmuring reassurances. He had no idea if she understood his words, but that didn't matter either. It was all he had to offer.

~*~


Kevin stood in the doorway, pausing at the sight. Or rather, the sound. Nick, it seemed, was singing a song in a low, soothing voice. Vosh was huddled next to him with eyes shut.

He knew the youngest crew member had a good voice, but usually he was singing some bawdy song with AJ or a nonsensical tune just to irritate Howie. This was a different Nick.

He smiled, pleased that Nick so obviously cared for Vosh. The song continued until Nick looked up.

“Hey, V, Kevin's here.”

The petite woman shifted on the couch, pulling away from Nick's hold. Her expression was neutral as she stood.

Kevin crossed the room. To Nick he said, “That was nice, Chaos.”

“Got her to drink and eat, like Aleta said,” he replied. “We were just, I don't know, hanging together. Until someone got here.” He looked slightly embarrassed. “That singing thing, it was just-”

“Wonderful. Thanks, I'm sure Vosh appreciated it.”

Vosh made a sign directed at Kevin. He frowned, trying to follow.

“I got the light part,” he said, “but the rest...”

She paused for a moment, then made a sign he'd never seen before. She pointed at Nick, then waited.

“Oh,” Kevin said, getting the connection. “Sing. That's what you meant? What Nick was just doing, singing?”

Kevin, Vosh, Aleta, Howie, Alex, Brian... Nick, she signed.

“I see. Nick, that's your sign. For your name. It means light, and sing. Singer.”

“Light singer? Because what, I was singing soft?”

Kevin shook his head. “No, I think she means light, because of your hair... that part is like the sign for Brian, you see. And singer... well, as far as I know, you're the only one that's sung to her. That's tried to comfort her through singing.”

“So that's a good thing...”

“Vosh?” Kevin asked.

The alien considered the words, then nodded.

“Yeah,” Kevin continued. “I think that's a very good thing. Good job, little man.”

Nick grinned. “Not so little anymore. You've only got a couple of inches on me, tops. And I'm still a growing boy.”

“Have you tried to talk to her yet, try to explain the plan?”

“No,” Nick said. “As soon as I started trying to talk, she just kind of closed up. Shut me out, you know? All I could think to do was just sit by her for a while.”

“I know you've been here for some time, but could you stay longer? She's used to you teaching her our language, and that's going to come in handy.”

Nick's eyebrows shot up. “You really think I could help?”

“Absolutely.”

“Then sure, I'll stay.”

“Thanks,” came the sincere reply. Kevin sat down and offered a hand to Vosh. She sat down next to him, looking back and forth from him to Nick. “Vosh, there's been a terrible misunderstanding,” he began, then stopped at her look of confusion.

“Mistake,” Nick clarified.

Vosh glanced his way and nodded.

“We made a mistake,” Kevin said. “About you. About your Healing. We asked you to stop healing, and not to tell.”

A frown.

“But we hadn't considered what that would mean to you. That if you weren't able to heal, you wouldn't really have a purpose. It's too ingrained-”

Vosh shook her head, clearly not understanding.

“Right,” Kevin said as he scrubbed at his face. “Ah... well, I know healing is important to you, it makes you who you are. We can't deny it, and we shouldn't hide it either. Or forbid you to do it. It should be your choice-”

She signed for a moment. Now it was his turn to frown.

“You healed me because it was your choice,” he translated. “Yeah, that's true. But what I'm saying is-” He stopped, watched her gestures, then said, “No, I'm not angry at you, Vosh. I don't like you putting yourself in danger... you nearly died this time, and that's not-”

Yes, angry.

“Risking your life to heal me... we've been through this before. You know how I feel about-”

My choice. Not dead. Last heal.

“But that's what I'm saying,” he said, tension creeping into his voice. “It's not the last heal. Once we get back, it'll be up to you-”

Kevin, angry. Understand. Knee, healed. No more.

“Wait, are you referring to healing my knee as the last heal I'll need? Well, that's true, but-”

“You're losing her, Kev,” Nick said. “Trust me, I know the signs. No pun intended.”

Angry, came the repeated sign. Her expression was stubborn.

Kevin sat back and shut his eyes for a second. “All right, yes, I'm angry. I care too much about you to let you risk your life-” He saw her reply. “And yes, I know you'll do damned well what you please.”

Nick could tell where the conversation was going, and he finally intervened. “She's right, you are angry. That's something she's used to. But you're healed, and your knee is fine... why don't you just thank her and be done with it? I'm telling you, you won't go forward until you put this aside.”

Emerald eyes blinked. “But it's not-” He stopped. “Maybe it is that simple,” he said finally. He gazed down at her face, the face that had come to mean so very much. Taking her hands in his, he leaned forward and placed a gentle kiss on her forehead.

“Thank you, Vosh,” he said. “What you did was... was amazing. There's no pain now. Thank you for what you did, what you went through on my behalf.”

She touched her forehead, then studied his face. A tiny nod was her only reply.

He gave her a careful hug, and was relieved when she allowed it.

“We okay?”

Vosh bit her lip, then nodded.

“Good. Let's try this again.”

~*~

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10617