My Breathless Mistress III by VeeLynn
Summary: What was once lots is found but what if you do not remember what you lost.
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Group
Genres: Drama, Romance, Suspense
Warnings: Death, Graphic Sexual Content, Graphic Violence, Sexual Assault/Rape, Sexual Content, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 23 Completed: Yes Word count: 46809 Read: 29260 Published: 08/20/11 Updated: 08/20/11

1. Chapter 1 by VeeLynn

2. Chapter 2 by VeeLynn

3. Chapter 3 by VeeLynn

4. Chapter 4 by VeeLynn

5. Chapter 5 by VeeLynn

6. Chapter 6 by VeeLynn

7. Chapter 7 by VeeLynn

8. Chapter 8 by VeeLynn

9. Chapter 9 by VeeLynn

10. Chapter 10 by VeeLynn

11. Chapter 11 by VeeLynn

12. Chapter 12 by VeeLynn

13. Chapter 13 by VeeLynn

14. Chapter 14 by VeeLynn

15. Chapter 15 by VeeLynn

16. Chapter 16 by VeeLynn

17. Chapter 17 by VeeLynn

18. Chapter 18 by VeeLynn

19. Chapter 19 by VeeLynn

20. Chapter 20 by VeeLynn

21. Chapter 21 by VeeLynn

22. Chapter 22 by VeeLynn

23. Epilogue by VeeLynn

Chapter 1 by VeeLynn
                                 Chapter 1

 

 

Heeeey guess what, I’m drunk…Yep, six years of sobriety down the fucking shitter! I had one fucking shot of beer because I needed to calm my damn nerves.  I’m so fucking pissed, I’m so fucking frustrated and I’m so fucking done with it all.  I’m pissed because Jive promised me this was my time, this was my fucking time and what do I get ten concerts over seas and two in Cali, one of them on mother fucking Easter.  But my fans bless them came out in droves and I thought that would be enough but nooo the douches over at Jive said the music wasn’t ready.  I’m frustrated because while all this bullshit is going on and I’m trying to fight for my career, there’s still been nothing on Nadia.  Day after day I think about my little girl and hope she’s ok, this not knowing what happened to her is eating away at me and it’s eating away at Chelsea and me.  We’re fighting almost everyday now, one of us is either in a mood and pisses the other off or she’s on my ass about my drinking.  She had her suspicions but I kept it hidden with breath spray and mints, until tonight.  I was buzzing pretty good and I forgot to cover up, so when I got home she could smell it.  She tore me a new one and took off to Kevin’s.  Good see ya later, like everyone else in my life, you don’t like the way it’s going so you just ditch instead of helping me fix it.  Just like my Father, ooh my Father, Mr. Fly Out to Paris too see my show, then leaves without saying goodbye. That was ooh about six months ago and I haven’t heard from him since.  What else is fucking new? So excuse me if I wanna have a drink or two so I can just chill. Which is something I’ll do right now since the entire fucking house is mine again.

 

Chelsea sat on the bed crying as her mind replayed the fight, the yelling, and the smell of booze on him.  It broke her heart to see him like that, she had been told stories about how he use to be and it scared her to think he was going back down that road.  When there was a light tap on her door she quickly wiped her eyes and tried to calm herself.

 

“Come in.” She said her voice jagged from trying to calm her breathing.

 

“Hey I just…” Kevin stopped when he saw the state she was in.  “Chelsea.” He said sadly as she started crying again.  Kevin walked over to the bed and sat down beside her.  “What happened?” He asked.

 

“If…” She stopped and took a breath.  “If I tell you, you can’t tell Tim and Jerald.” She said.

 

“What did he do?” Kevin asked.  “He cheated on you didn’t he?”

 

“No” Chelsea said a little annoyed.  “I wish he had.”

 

“What?” Kevin replied stunned.

 

“He’s drinking again Kevin.” Chelsea told him.  “I kind of thought he was because he seemed edgy around me sometimes, he’d go out saying he’d be an hour and doesn’t come back for three and he’s been eating a lot of mints.  Then tonight he came home drunk or buzzed and I could smell it on him.” She said as she started crying again.  “I didn’t want to leave, I didn’t want to just abandon him but what else could I do to get my point across.”

 

“Nothing Chels you did the right thing.” Kevin told her.  “I”ll go talk to him tomorrow.”

 

“I just don’t want Tim and Jerald finding out and telling me they told me so.” Chelsea said as she wiped her eyes.

 

“Do you know why he’s drinking again?” Kevin asked.

 

Chelsea took a deep breath before she spoke.  “A little bit of everything, his Dad not calling at all, Jive not wanting the solo record, and probably Nadia. Not that he’s talked to me at all.” As she started to calm she started to talk more.  “But why couldn’t he talk to me about it, I know about his Dad, I know how hurt and upset over Jive he is and of course I know how he feels about Nadia.”

 

“Yeah he’s doing it again.” Kevin said as she got up and walked into the bathroom that was attached to her room.

 

“Doing what?” She asked from the bathroom.

 

“It really all comes down to his Dad, he’ll do something that hurts Alex and Alex won’t say anything, then it eats away at him, so he just starts to horde everything inside to mask the pain he feels about his Dad.” Kevin told her as she walked back into the room.  “But last time he also had your death to deal with as well.”

 

“He knows he can talk to me.” Chelsea said as she sat back down with a slight pout.  “It means it’s bad doesn’t it, of course it’s bad he’s drinking again.” Then she looked at Kevin quickly.  “What if he’s doing drugs again, oh god Kevin?” Chelsea said as she started crying again.

 

“Would you feel better if I went to talk to him now?” Kevin asked.

 

“Maybe I should go back.” Chelsea said still in thought.  “He’s obviously hurting and if he’s hurting then I should be there.”

 

“Chels if you took off and came here it probably pissed him off more and he probably went back out, he could be completely sloshed at some bar by now.” Kevin told her.

 

“Then I should be there when he gets home.” Chelsea said as she stood up.

 

“Chelsea.” Kevin said.

 

“He didn’t walk away from me when I needed him the most, so I can’t walk away from him.” Chelsea said as she started getting her things together.

 

“You’re not walking away, you can talk to him tomorrow.” Kevin spoke as he stood up.

 

“No” Chelsea said sternly.  “I need to go home.”

 

Kevin sighed and then nodded. “Alright, let’s go.”

 

Chelsea waited by the front door as Kevin told Kristin he was taking her back home.  She said goodbye to Kevin’s wife and then walked out to the car.  Loading her bag into the back seat she opened the front door and climbed in.  The drive home was quiet which was fine by her; it gave her time with her thoughts.  How could she make this better so he wouldn’t be in pain anymore? She thought about how she would react when he came home no doubt drunker than he was when she left.  She thought about what she would say if he was home when she arrived.  Kevin turned down the back ally to AJ’s house and Chelsea saw his car sitting in the drive way.

 

“Looks like he’s home.” Kevin said as he stopped the car out front. “Do you want me to go in with you?”

 

“No, it’s ok.” She replied as she grabbed the handle.  “Thanks.”

 

“Anytime hun, I’ll call you tomorrow ok?” He told her as she got out of the car.

 

“Ok” She replied before she shut the door and then grabbed her bag from the back of the car.

 

Taking a deep breath as she walked up the pathway she searched her hand bag for her keys.  She pulled them out as she walked up to the door and slipped them into the lock.  Opening the door she walked into the house.

 

“Hell-Hello?” She heard from the living room and she could tell by his voice he was drunker than when she left.  Chelsea didn’t say anything as she put her keys away and set down her bag.  A loud bang was heard and then AJ cursed in pain. Chelsea closed her eyes and took another deep breath.  “W-who’s there?” AJ sang and snorted a laugh.

 

She walked down the hall and into the living room and saw AJ sitting on the floor, a glass of something spilt on the carpet, and a bottle of Jack sitting on the table. Obviously she knew now what that liquid soaking into the rug was.  She looked back at AJ as he stared at her and then she looked at the bottle of booze.  With a grit of her teeth she walked over to the table and grabbed the bottle of Whisky. 

 

“H-Hey, hey hey hey.” AJ said trying to get to his feet as fast as possible.  “Where you going?” He shouted after her his voice had a tone of innocence to it. She said nothing as she walked out the back doors and across the yard.  “Chelsea” AJ said as he stumbled after her.  Stopping when she was about five feet from the fence at the back of the yard she looked out around the cliff side, she then turned around to AJ as he caught up to her.  “Wh-at are you doing? Give me that.” He said as he went to take it from her but she pulled away and before he could react she chucked the bottle as far as she could.  When the dead of night allowed the bottle smashing against the rocks to be heard AJ looked at her.

 

Chelsea said nothing to him as she turned around and walked back into the house.  Walking into the living room she picked up the glass and took it into the kitchen.  Grabbing a rag and wetting it, she took out the carpet cleaner and headed back into the room.  As she scrubbed at the rug letting her anger out on the rag, AJ walked into the room.  She knew he was there but she said nothing as she continued to scrub vigorously at the whisky.

 

“Well since you took everything I had to drink why the hell are you here?” AJ asked as he sat down on the couch.  “Shouldn’t you be at your brothers proving a point to me?”

 

“And what point is that?” she asked with a sigh as she looked at him.  “That I should just let you fall, let you drink yourself into a stooper cause it’s the only way you’ll learn.” She said with a soft sarcastic tone.  “I may not have a lot of life experience but I always found that AA stuff to be bullshit anyways.” 

 

AJ looked at her confused.  “They call it a disease, a sickness, but yet you’re not supposed to help them. Well I am sorry but I don’t work like that, when someone I love and care about is sick, I’m doing everything in my power to help them.”  Chelsea stood up as she collected the cleaning supplies.  “Even if that means I have to put bolt locks on the inside of this house to keep you from going out.”

 

She walked into the kitchen and put the rag into the sink.  Looking at her hands she noticed they were shaking.  Closing her eyes she tried to push out the anger, angry at him for giving in and drinking, angry at his Father for treating AJ the way he does, and angry at herself for not doing more.  As she stood there calming herself she heard the footsteps of her husband going up the stairs and then the slamming of their bedroom door.

 

“Good, maybe you’ll pass out now.” She mumbled as she sat down on a kitchen stool.  With a sigh she looked out the back glass doors, her mind drifted to a time when things were much easier even though at the time it seemed liked they weren’t. The lily decorated stage that sat above the pool, the people sitting at tables around the backyard, and the two of them dancing.  When the memory of how she felt on her wedding day rushed through her, Chelsea closed her eyes trying to trap her tears.

 

Chapter 2 by VeeLynn
                                      Chapter 2

 

My fucking head hurts…haven’t drank that much in a long time…I’m not sure but I think Chelsea came home last night…I think I could have made it up.  I’m in bed, don’t wanna try walking down the stairs yet and she’s not in the bed beside me but I’m pretty sure she came home.  I wonder what she did with that bottle of Jack…could have been the Jack making me think she came home…some inner guilt trip.  Fuck me, what have I done.  Everything out the window…I think I’m on the verge of losing her, if I haven’t already.  Jesus Christ what if I’ve lost her, what if she didn’t come home, she’s still at Kevin’s putting things together for a divorce.  Maybe I should try to get downstairs…

 

AJ looked up when the door opened, his head felt like his brain weighed a hundred pounds and when his head stopped it began to pound.  He could hear his blood thumping through his head and he closed his eyes trying to push it away.  A small rattling sound was heard and his eyes opened as his sight went right to something white laying on his bed.  Picking up what he now realized was a bottle; he turned it over and read the label. 

 

“Advil.” He read in his mind. 

 

When he heard the bathroom door close he looked up, he stared for a moment and then looked back at the bottle.  Taking a deep breath he held it a minute and then exhaled knowing she was home.  The door opened again and he looked up, the same heaviness, the same throbbing returned but he was able to keep focus as he watched her walk out of the bathroom with a glass of water in her hand.  She walked up beside him and placed the glass onto the nightstand.  His wife then turned and walked around the bed.

 

“Chels…” AJ started to say.

 

“Take the Advil, there’s coffee downstairs, you have an AA meeting in an hour and that’s all I want to say right now.” She said as she walked across the room and out the door, closing it behind her.

 

And yet another person pushed to the edge by him and he told himself he wouldn’t do that too her.  Maybe her brothers were right maybe he really is the loser they say he is.  Opening the cap he dumped two gel caps into his hand and reached for the water on the table.  Dropping the pills into his mouth he put the glass to his lips and took a sip, swallowing and letting the water take the pills down his throat. Slowly he hung his legs over the bed and put his head in his hands as he let out a light sigh.

 

“How the hell could I let this happen?” AJ sighed as his head gently fell into his hands. “What the hell do I say to her?” He thought.  “You fucking douche, you fucked everything up.” AJ grunted as he slowly sat up straighter. 

 

Getting up off the bed AJ walked over to his dresser, pulled out jeans and a shirt and then headed into the bathroom for a shower.  Going through the motions he turned on the taps and ran the hot water for a bit, before getting in.  He let the water run down and his headache made it feel like the shower drops were pebbles lightly bouncing off his head.  His hand rested against the wall holding his body up as he leaned, his head rested on his shoulder as the water fell from his face.  This was the part he hated, the guilt.  The guilt of what he had done, messing up six years, the guilt of breaking his word about Chelsea and the guilt of how he hurt and even betrayed her. It wasn’t this bad before but now she knew what he was hiding for the past few months. Then it hit him another thing to be guilty about, Tim and Jerald, when they find out they will put her through hell.  With a grit of his teeth he shut the shower off and grabbed the towel from the outside glass door.  He stomped across the floor as he dropped his towel and aggressively put on his jeans.  Slumping down onto the bed he sighed as he tossed his shirt beside him.  His eyes caught the book that the T-shirt had half covered.  Picking it up he opened it to the page he was writing on reread his words as he picked up the pen.

 

…Ok, she’s still here, that’s good.  Maybe I haven’t fucked this thing up but fuck is she pissed, not that I could blame her.  I need a vacation, we need a vacation.  I got to pick myself up, I’ve got to get my shit together again, I gotta stop letting my Dad get to me…I gotta except the fact that my Father is the way he is and no matter how hard I try, I can’t change it because it’s not my problem to fix.  I can’t let him destroy what Chels and I have, I just can’t lose her…not again.

 

Setting the pen inside he closed the journal and opened the drawer to his nightstand.  He put the book away and then left the room, heading downstairs to the kitchen.  When he walked in he was a little disappointed to see she wasn’t there.  Walking over to the coffee machine he grabbed a mug and reached for the pot.  Pouring himself a large cup he carried it over and sat down at the island.

 

“Where should we go?” He thought as he took a careful sip from the freshly hot liquid.  “What if she doesn’t want to go, she’s really pissed.” AJ took another sip.  His eyes looked up when he heard footsteps walking down the hall, a couple of seconds later he saw her walk past; heading towards the living room.  She didn’t turn her head and look in to see if he was there.  Quickly he got up from the chair and flew into the hall stopping himself by grabbing onto edge of the wall.

 

“Chels?” He said catching her before she walked into the room.  She stopped at the door way and it took her a minute to look at him.

 

“Yeah?” She replied.

 

“I’m sorry.” He said and for a moment he thought that was all he could say. “Everything was going so good, it was amazing.  I worked hard to get sober, I was doing fine being sober, I thought I was doing so fucking good that someone up there sent you back to me and then it just all fell apart again.”  She was about to say something but he just kept talking. “And like usual it all started with my Dad, he does this Houdini act and it gets too me.  Gets me wondering if I’m good enough, what is so wrong with me that he has to do that to his son, and then it doesn’t matter what happens I always have to turn it into a mess.”  AJ took a breath and continued.  “Jive not going forward with my Solo, my Dad doesn’t have faith in me so why should they? I’m a fuck up, a screw up so who would put money on me.  Why should I be allowed to be a Father to someone when I can’t even take care of myself, how could I be a good Father if I never had one.”  He finally stopped for a moment and looked at her.  “I didn’t want this too happen, it just did, everything just spiraled I lost control and I’m sorry, god Chelsea I am so sorry.” He spoke as the tears finally broke from his eyes and rolled down his face.  She didn’t say anything but he knew her brain was doing something, he could see it in her eyes.  Then she took a step forward and then another one and before he knew it he was wrapped in her arms.

 

And then she whispered.  “I wish there was a way I could fill the hole he’s left in your heart.” He closed his eyes and pulled her tighter against him.

 

“Unfortunately I don’t think anyone could.” AJ said quietly.  “I need a vacation.” He sighed.

 

“I think you do too.” Chelsea replied back and then she pulled away.  “But first you have that meeting to go to.”

 

AJ took a deep breathe and then nodded.  “Ok”

 

Chelsea lightly smiled.  “It’s at the community club on Pico.”

 

“You’ll be here when I get back?” He asked not really sure if she was here to stay or not. Why would she be, he’s basically made an ass of her in front of her family.

 

“Of course.” She replied and the look on her face and the tone in her voice seemed a little surprised.  But he just lightly smiled, gently kissed her on the forehead and then said.  “I’ll see ya when I’m done then.”

 

“Ok” She replied and he turned back around and walked down the hall towards the front door. 

 

When he got to the front door he put on his shoes, grab his smokes, his keys and opened it but before he could step foot outside he was stopped by a tall figure standing in front of him.

 

“Where’re you going?” The all too familiar stern voice said.  AJ looked up at the dark haired man and knew instantly that Kevin knew what he had been up too.

 

“Going to AA.” AJ said a little embarrassed.

 

Kevin was the one who got him to get sober in the first place.  His mind flashed back to the night in the graveyard, him sitting on the ground it what was suppose to be Chelsea’s grave, drunk as a skunk and then came Kevin.  He remembered how his friend reacted and the guilt from earlier came back.

 

“Good” Kevin replied stepping aside.  “Chels up?”

 

“Yes I’m right here.” She replied as she walked up behind AJ.  He turned and looked at her.  “I’ll see you when you get back; I’ll have some ideas for us.” She replied with a light kiss.  AJ lightly smiled and the guilt rushed away.

 

“Later.” He replied with a light wave as he headed out the door.

 

When he walked up to the center’s door he stopped for a minute as he felt himself getting nervous.  Would someone recognize him, would they go to the media and tell them AJ was at an AA meeting, would they blab about the fact he fell off the wagon but then he remembered the confidentiality rule and hoped it would be enough to keep people quiet. Opening the door AJ walked into the building and looked for a sign to tell him where to go. 

 

He sat in the school like plastic chair and picked at his finger nails.  The woman running the meeting spoke about how alcoholism was a disease and that they shouldn’t feel guilt for picking up a drink.  She said the important thing was they were here and starting over again.

 

“Starting over…” He thought as the words echoed in his mind. 

 

“Would anyone like to stand up and tell us their story?” The woman asked and AJ took a deep breath.  Slowly he raised his hand and soon he felt about fifteen eyes on him.  “Yes.” The woman said with a light nod as AJ looked at her and she looked back at him. 

 

He stood up and took a deep breath.  “My name is Alex and I’m an alcoholic.”

 

“Hello Alex.” Everyone replied in a stale tone.

 

“I have been sober for about 6 years until a few months ago.” He told them.  “It started out that I would just sit at the hotel bar for a while, then that wasn’t enough anymore, one night I went down to the bar just to sit but like I said it wasn’t enough anymore, so I ordered a beer and a shot glass.  I tried one shot, then two shots, then three shots and the next thing I knew the bottle was gone.  I hid it from my friends and my wife for almost few months.” Everyone stared at him and he wondered if any of them knew why he was sitting in hotel bars.  “Up until a couple of weeks ago it was just a drink here and there but then my wife started catching on and putting the pressure on me.  She would ask where I was going every time I went out and asked where I had been every time I came back. Each night I got drunker and drunker but I thought I kept it hidden and then the other night I forgot to cover up probably to drunk to remember to do so.  I came home and she could smell it on me, she could see I was drunk.  She walked out the door that night and I had thought I had lost her.  She is more important to me than some bottle of beer or glass of Jack, I’m tired of being this way and that’s why I’m here, to show her how much she means to me and to help me get back on the wagon.”  AJ then slowly sat down as others nodded and lightly clapped.

 

“Thank you Alex for your story.” The woman said.  He lightly smiled as the woman began talking about how no matter how long you’ve been sober you could always fall but the important thing was that you pick yourself up again and move on.

Chapter 3 by VeeLynn
                                  Chapter 3

 

“Ideas?” Kevin asked as he walked into the house and Chelsea closed the door. “Can I ask what ideas?”

 

“We’re planning a vacation.” Chelsea told him as she headed down the hall to the kitchen.

 

“He can’t run from his problems.” Kevin told her.  Chelsea stopped and turned around before she entered the room.

 

“He’s not but he does need a break since they will be finishing and promoting the new cd in a couple of months.” She said to him.  “And I need a break too.”

 

“Still no word on Nadia?” Kevin asked as he followed her into her kitchen.

 

“No” Chelsea said quickly.  “Coffee?” She asked pointing to the pot.

 

“Sure.” Kevin replied with a light nod. “Look Chelsea I know you want to help but going on vacation isn’t going to be some magical cure.” Kevin said as she poured him a cup.

 

“I know that.” She snapped at him.  “But if we don’t get this break I dunno what will happen to us.” Chelsea told him.  “We’re fighting all the time…” Just then the phone rang and interrupted her.  With a frustrated grunt she walked over to the phone and picked it up.

 

“Hello?” She spoke as the receiver pressed against her ear.

 

“Did you think you could hide it?” An angry voice shouted on the other end.  Both she and Kevin looked at each other stunned.  Even Kevin could recognize his brother’s voice as he yelled loudly over the phone.  Then their faces both fell in confusion. 

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

“What am I talking about? I’m talking about that loser husband of yours picking up a bottle of Jack while someone followed him with a camera!” Jerald shouted.

 

“First of all he is not a loser; second if you don’t calm down I’m going to hang up on you.” Chelsea snapped.

 

“You should tell that idiot that he’s in a pop group and he’s still news worthy especially when he decides to break six years of sobriety.” Jerald yelled.

 

“Jerald I swear to god you call him one more name and I’m hanging up.” Chelsea threatened.

 

“I can’t even believe you’re still there, he’s a lost cause Chelsea and I don’t understand why you want to waste your life with him.” Jerald told her still yelling a little.

 

“Fuck off!!” Chelsea screamed into the phone and slammed it down, hanging up on the man she once considered a brother but then she picked up the receiver and slammed it down again and again and again as she screamed at the phone.

 

“Chels?” Kevin asked a little confused.

 

Her head started pounding, her sight began to blur and the sounds around her became muffled.  She couldn’t hear herself cry and she couldn’t hear the pain in her voice as she dropped to the floor.  Then she felt someone grab her but that was the last thing she remembered as her world went dark.

 

Chelsea screamed in pain, her mind trying to register what was going on.  She wasn’t ready to do this, she was scared and confused.  Her legs felt like they were numb but they still ached.  Her back felt like someone was pinching her spine with pliers, her stomach felt like someone had stabbed her repeatedly and all that pain combined made her body want to pass out. Someone kept telling her to push and she tried but she was tired and weak.  Her face was soaked with tears and sweat and with one final scream and one final push everything disappeared for a moment.  Lying against the wall her eyes fluttered opened and she looked around at the room that held her captive. 

 

“Here Chelsea.” A woman said in a soft voice. She looked down as the woman handed her a blanket, when she took it into her arms it was heavy and she almost dropped it.  Then the blanket began to move a little and she saw two big brown eyes looking up at her. 

 

Chelsea stared at her daughter and even though she should be over joyed, she felt a wave of sadness come over her.  The little girl in her arms looked so much like her father and Chelsea began to miss him.  Wanting him by her side, wanting to hear him say everything would be ok but she knew that wasn’t going to happen.

 

“The baby needs to go to the hospital.” She heard the woman say. “You’re daughter does too.”

 

“I said no doctors that’s why I’m paying you.” Her Father snapped.  “Take the baby and do what you have to do.”

 

Chelsea stared at her daughter and the little baby began to cry.  Gently she rocked her and held her closer to her.  She felt someone standing over her and she looked up.  Her body began to shake as she saw her Father standing over her.

 

“Give the baby to Helen.” Her Father said.

 

Chelsea looked at the woman and then back at her baby.  “No” She whispered.

 

“Give me the damn baby.” Her Father snapped as he ripped her daughter away from her.  The little girl began to cry louder and so did Chelsea.

 

“Please no, please don’t hurt her.” Chelsea cried as she watched the woman take her daughter from her Father.

 

“Shut up!” Her Father screamed and then she felt his hand slam against her face.  “You have everything you need here.” He said as he turned to the woman with red hair.  “Just do it and shut that damn baby up before I do it permanently.” And then he left the room, slamming the door behind him.

 

“Please give her to me?” Chelsea asked as she looked at the woman.

 

“I will, I just need to clean her up make sure she’s doing ok and I will check you too.” The woman told her and even though she didn’t know her she made Chelsea feel calmer.  The woman left the room and Chelsea sat back as she began to cry.  She wanted to lie down and curl up but she couldn’t.  Her bed was still a mess and she was still pretty weak and sore.  She sat against the wall crying, waiting for the woman to bring her daughter back.

 

“Alex” Chelsea whimpered.  “I need you so much.”

 

“Who’s Alex?” The woman asked and Chelsea looked up in shock but then she saw the woman had her daughter.

 

“Please give her to me.” Chelsea asked the woman as the lady walked over to a small crib.

 

“I need to make sure you’re ok first and then you can feed her.” The woman said as she laid he baby down.

 

“Is she ok?” Chelsea asked.

 

“Yes she’s doing well.” The woman said as she walked over to Chelsea. “Now let’s see how Mom is holding up.”  The woman helped Chelsea off the bed and she began to change the sheets and made her a fresh bed to lie in.  She then took Chelsea into the bathroom and helped her clean up.  Then she brought her back into the bedroom and assisted her back into the bed.  “Is Alex the Father?” The woman asked.

 

            “Yes.” Chelsea said quietly.

 

            “Did he know you were pregnant?” The woman asked.

 

“No” Chelsea replied.  “I didn’t even know until I started getting sick and I was late.” She then looked at the woman.  “Where are we?” She asked.  The woman looked back at her and Chelsea knew by the look in the ladies eyes that her Father told her not to say anything.  “Please tell me where are we?”

 

“You’re in Grand Rapids, Minnesota.” The woman replied quietly.  “I’m going to show you how to feed your baby ok?” The woman said and Chelsea nodded.

 

The woman brought the baby over to her and Chelsea took her daughter into her arms.  The woman showed her how to place her breast against her daughters mouth so she could latch on properly.  It was a little uncomfortable at first but it didn’t feel awkward. The woman told her to feed her on each breast for at least ten minutes and Chelsea did just that.  Her baby fell asleep in her arms and soon she felt herself getting very tired. 

 

“Have you thought of a name?” The woman asked.

 

Chelsea thought for a minute.  “Nadia.” She said.

 

“That’s a pretty name.” The woman said.

 

“She’s my favorite gymnast…and it means hope in Russian.” Chelsea told her.

 

“I think it’s time for Mom and daughter to get some sleep.” The woman said.  “You need to rest she will be up in a couple of hours to eat.”

 

Chelsea nodded as she let the woman take her daughter and lay the baby in the small crib.  Slowly Chelsea laid down into her bed and pulled the blankets around her.  The woman walked over to her bedside and made sure her blankets were straight.

 

“Did you need anything before I go?” The woman asked and Chelsea slowly shook her head no. “Don’t worry; I won’t let anything happen to your little girl.” Chelsea wanted to question her more but her eyes fell heavy and soon she drifted off into dream land hopefully she’d see Alex there.

 

Slowly her eyes fluttered open, she could hear herself lightly sobbing and she could feel tears dripping down her cheek.  She noticed her body wasn’t in pain any more, besides a headache and that knowledge made her clam a little but the ache in her heart hadn’t gone away.  Chelsea reached up and brushed her hair from her face and went to wipe her eyes when she realized she was wearing a plastic bracelet on her wrist.

 

“Chels?” She heard a familiar comforting voice whisper beside her and she turned her head.  “Oh god Chelsea you’re ok.” AJ said as she looked into his eyes, which were now filling up with tears as well.

 

“Alex?” She said very confused.  “You-you found me?” She asked as he pulled down the roll bar at the side of her bed.

 

“What?” He replied as he sat beside her.  When she saw the confusion on his face she began to look around and realized she was in a hospital.  Then the memory of fighting with Jerald flooded back to her.  “What do you mean?”

 

Her face fell into a frown and she tried putting the pieces together.  “Wait where am I?” She asked.

 

“You’re at the hospital sweetheart.” AJ told her.  “Kevin called me as I was leaving my AA meeting; he said you had a fight with Jerald on the phone, he said when you hung up you sort of snapped and then you just dropped.

 

“Alex” Chelsea said quickly as she began to realize she had been in a memory.

 

“What?” AJ replied with concern in his voice.

 

“Minnesota.” She told him but he looked at her with confusion.  “We were in Minnesota.”

 

“You were in…” He stopped speaking.  “You remembered where you were when you had Nadia?” AJ asked and she nodded.

 

Chelsea was about to tell him what she remembered but the image of her daughter in her arms stopped her from talking and she broke down crying.  AJ slid closer to her and wrapped her in his arms. “I want my little girl.” She sobbed as her husband held her.

 

“I know sweetheart, I know.” He replied with a calming tone.

 

She was glad he let her cry in his arms and when she had clamed down a little he pulled her away and rested his hands on the side of her face.  “We’ll find her.” Chelsea couldn’t help but let a small smile out; his words were comforting and made her feel like things would be ok.  He gently kissed her on the forehead and then rested his against hers. 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 4 by VeeLynn
                                   Chapter 4

 

“I hope this is just a slip up.” The man on the TV said.  “He was doing really well.”

 

“Bah” AJ scoffed as he shut the TV off and lightly tossed the remote onto the couch seat beside him.  He was watching a popular gossip show; they were the ones that had caught him walking out of the store with a bottle of Jack.  Putting his elbows on his knees he ran his fingers through his hair and let out a tired sigh.  He had just gotten back with Chelsea from the hospital, she was now upstairs sleeping and not having slept much the night before he was pretty tired but he couldn’t sleep. When Chelsea had calmed down she began to tell him what she had remembered including where they were and the red headed woman’s name.  After she had fallen back asleep in the hospital room AJ called the Detective in charge of the case and told him what she had remembered.  He seemed very positive about the new revelations.

 

When he met Kevin at the hospital his former band mate told him what had happened. “I couldn’t make out what he was saying but he was yelling loud enough that I knew it was his voice.” He remembered Kevin saying.  “When they admitted her I called Mom to tell her what had happened, then I called my brother and asked him what he had done.  That’s when he told me about seeing you on TV and by the names he was calling you, I think that’s what upset her.”

 

“Asshole.” AJ mumbled as he sat on his couch. 

 

Someone yelling made his angry thoughts about Jerald disappear and he knew instantly where it was coming from.  Quickly he jumped up from the couch and took off out of the living room; heading to the bedroom upstairs.  As he ran down the hall he could hear her yelling.

 

“Chelsea?” He said in a panic tone as he opened the bedroom door and too his surprise she was practically running around the room, searching.  She was running around in her pajama’s, her hair was messy and her face was wet with tears and sweat.  Their bathroom door was open, their closet door was open, things had been moved around on their dressers and he wondered what was going on.

 

“Where is she, where is she!?” She repeated over and over as she ran around in circles.  He walked over to her not sure what was going on, was she sleeping and sleep walking or was she awake and this was the fall out of a bad dream, a really bad dream.

 

“Chelsea, sweetheart calm down.” AJ told her as he took her gently by the arms, worried she’d have another attack.

 

“He took her, he took my baby.” Chelsea cried as she collapsed into his arms.

 

“Shhh.” AJ whispered as he held her tightly against his chest.

 

“I want my baby.” Chelsea cried.

 

“I know, I know.” AJ replied not knowing what else to say. 

 

They sat on the floor and he continued to hold her in his arms.  Slowly she began to calm and when her cries had turned to whimpers he gently picked her up and carried her to the bed.  He laid her back down, gently crawled over her and slipped under the covers next to her.  The large duvet blanket cradled them both.  His fingers gently brushed her bangs from her eyes and he frowned at how red and puffy they were.

 

“They just keep coming.” She mumbled and he barely under stood her.

 

“Memories?” AJ asked.  Chelsea nodded with a sighed, her breath was staggered.

 

“I try to understand one, I try to deal with it, deal with the pain and then I go to sleep, then another one comes. Then I have to deal with all new pain plus whatever I remembered before that, it’s like a flood gate opened.” Chelsea explained.

 

“What did you remember this time?” He asked. AJ waited for her to answer but she didn’t say anything, she just looked down.  “Chels talk to me.”

 

“I was sleeping and I had her sleeping beside me because I didn’t trust him, I didn’t even trust this Helen woman, so when everyone would leave so I could sleep, I would get up and take her from the crib and bring her over to sleep next to me.” She told him as he gently brushed his fingers through her hair. “I didn’t wake up quick enough, he took her as she was lying right beside me and I tried to get to her but that stupid chain…” She stopped and he could tell she was trying to fight back the tears.  “I begged him not to take her but he didn’t listen, he didn’t care.” Chelsea stopped talking and AJ thought for a moment she was calming down but her lip started to shake and her breathing became rapid.  “I was supposed to protect her.” She said as she broke down crying again.

 

He pulled her against him and laid there hoping it was enough to make her feel calm and safe.  What could he say, what could he do, he couldn’t even imagine what she was going through.  Did she feel like a failure because of what happened? Did she blame herself, did she hate herself.

 

“It’s not your fault you know.” AJ whispered.  “You couldn’t do anything…”

 

“I tried, I tried to rip that chain from the clamp I tried so hard, Alex you have to believe me.” She cried.

 

“I do, I do sweetheart I know you did and I don’t blame you at all, like I said there was nothing you could do.” He told her as he pulled her closer. 

 

Chelsea cried as she buried her face against his chest.  AJ found himself tearing up feeling the pain and heartache she was going through having to relive that day again.  She kept telling him she was sorry and he kept telling her it was ok.  He would run his fingers through her hair, he would gently rub the back of her neck and he would lightly kiss the top of her head hoping it was calming her.

 

“What time is it?” She asked and he was a little startled at the fact she was still awake.

 

Lifting his arm that was wrapped around her back he looked at his watch “Quarter to three.”

 

“Why are you still up?” She asked as she pulled her head back and looked at him.

 

“Couldn’t sleep.” He replied.

 

“You need sleep.” She said as she cuddled back against him

 

“We both do.” AJ said as his hand loving drifted up her back.

 

“Where did you want to go?” She asked and his eyebrows fell in confusion.

 

“Huh?” He replied a little confused.

 

Chelsea yawned.  “On our vacation.”

 

“Oh” He said with a light nod now understanding.  “Well did you want to go somewhere far? Or stay around the area?” He asked.

 

“We could go to Scotland and you can show me all the places we were supposed to go.” She said and he could tell by her voice that she would fall asleep soon.

 

“That would be sweet.” He told her as his fingers combed gently through her hair.

 

“Seems all Jerald ever does is ruin all the good things that happen to me.” She said with a sigh.

 

“He cares about you, he worries about you and the way I’ve been the last couple months I can’t say I blame him.” AJ told her. “I’ve been selfish, letting my Dad get to me and putting all that stress on you.”  AJ told her.  “It’s not just me anymore, I have to think about you and even Nadia, I mean what if we find her and we have to fight for her, like through the courts. It’s not going to look good if I’m drinking again.”  He waited for a comment back from her but there was nothing.  Carefully he looked down and saw that she was out cold. 

 

AJ smiled with a light laugh as he gently pulled her closer to him and closed his eyes.  As he lied next to her he began to think of ideas on where they could go, Morocco, Paris, Scotland, but then he started to remember a conversation they had when they were younger.

 

“So how long will you be gone?” Chelsea asked as she lied on her bed and talked on the phone.

 

“We’ll be there a couple of weeks.” AJ said as he sat in his room. “But I’ll have my own hotel room so I’ll be able to call, well as long as my Ma isn’t around.”

 

“I miss you” Chelsea sighed.

 

“I miss ya too sweetheart.” He replied. “But we’re all going to Kevin’s when we get back so I’ll see ya then.”

 

“I know” Chelsea replied and he could tell it didn’t cheer her up much.

 

“Don’t worry when this group gets going and the money starts rolling in, we’ll go somewhere just the two of us.” AJ told her as he leaned against the side of his bed while sitting on the floor or his bedroom.

 

“I’m sure everyone would just love that.” Chelsea replied and her tone had some sarcasm to it.

 

“I’m serious.” He said. “Where would you want to go? Anywhere in the world where would it be?”

“Well I guess New Zealand.” She replied.

 

“Really?” AJ said expecting her to say Hawaii or even Russia where her favorite gymnast was from.

 

“They have some amazing beaches there, plus it’s really far away from anything else, so it would be just us.” She told him. “There are a lot of private places there and it would be a great hideaway, plus I’m getting sick of this cold Kentucky weather.” She sighed.

 

“That sounds cool.” AJ replied with a nod. Then he heard some talking in the background and then Chelsea say ok. 

 

“I gotta go, dinner time.” She told him and there was disappointment in her voice.

 

“Ok.” He said returning the disappointment.  “Well start planning on what you wanna do when I get there.”

 

“Ok” Chelsea replied with a light laugh.

 

“I mean it.” He told her.

 

“Ok.” Chelsea said again and he could almost see the smile on her face.  “I love you.”

 

“Love you too sweetheart.” AJ said and then the two of them hung up.

 

“Bingo.” AJ whispered his eyes still closed, his arms still wrapped around Chelsea as they lied in their bed.

 

 

 

 

 

           

Chapter 5 by VeeLynn
                                    Chapter 5

 

AJ sat at his computer in his office downstairs.  Chelsea wasn’t up yet and he wasn’t about to wake her up.  It had been a few days since she was in the hospital, since he found her running around upstairs in a panic but her memories many of them were still flooding back to her and last night for the first night in a while she had slept all the way through.  He rolled the mouse arrow over a hotel name and clicked on it.  AJ began reading what the hotels in New Zealand had to offer as he gently bit on his nail.  The door bell to his house rung and it broke him from his thoughts.  He stood up from the desk chair and walked out of the room turning left into the hallway, walking to the front door of their house.  Looking out the peephole his heart fluttered a little bit when he saw the Detective in charge of Chelsea’s case standing on the other side.

 

“Hello” AJ said when he opened the door.

 

“Good Morning Mr. Mclean I hope I’m not disturbing you.” The man replied.

 

“No, it’s all good.” AJ replied as he opened the door wider. “Did ya wanna come in?”

 

“Thank you.” The man said with a light nod and then he stepped into AJ’s house.

 

“Did you want some coffee?” AJ asked as he walked the man down towards the living room.

 

“No thank you.” The Detective replied so AJ took him right into the living room instead of stopping off at the kitchen.

 

“So what’s up?” AJ asked as they both sat down on the couch.

 

“Since you told us what Chelsea had remembered we started looking into nurses and mid wives in the Minnesota area, we also looked at the hospitals in the area to see if any had taken in an abandoned baby around the time Nadia was born.” The man told him and AJ found himself holding his breath.

 

“God please let them have found something, something I can tell Chelsea to give her some kind of hope.” He thought to himself.

 

“Is Chelsea here?” The man asked.

 

“She’s sleeping, it seems she had a few memories come back and it’s been a rough week for her.” AJ told him.

 

“I see” The man nodded.  “Well I do have good news.”

 

“You do?” AJ said relieved.  “Is she alive?”

 

“Yes she’s alive.” The Detective replied.  “We know that the woman Helen ended up taking her in, we’re not sure of the details yet because about a year after she was born the woman moved from Minnesota.” He told AJ as AJ listened intently.  “We contacted her family and a lot of them didn’t know where she had gone too but a couple of them told us the last they heard she was living somewhere in Nevada.”

 

“Ok” AJ nodded not knowing where this was going.

 

“That’s why I’m down here, I’m meeting up with some other Detectives and we will be traveling there to start a search.” The Detective said. 

 

“Do you have any ideas on which city they could be in?” AJ asked as his palms began getting sweaty.

 

“The most logic thing would be Vegas, it’s big, it’s crowded and jobs there are a dime a dozen.” The man replied.  “But we will also check Reno and other smaller cities if nothing comes up in Las Vegas.”

 

“Vegas” AJ thought.  How many times had he been in that city partying with friends, how many times did he walk by the lady named Helen, how many times did he see his daughter? He wondered.

 

“I-If you find her, what happens then?” AJ asked.

 

“Well we’ll need a DNA test done to confirm she is Nadia, that she is your daughter, and if everything comes back positive, she’s all yours.” The man said.

 

“What happens to her while we wait for the tests?” AJ asked.

 

“We’ll go to court and let a judge decide after he orders the blood test.” The Detective said.

 

“Court?” AJ said unsure he really wanted to go through all of that.

 

“This Helen person knew Chelsea was being held captive by her Father and she did nothing, she also took Chelsea’s daughter, your daughter, so she will be facing some major charges.” The man said as AJ slowly nodded.  “I leave this afternoon and I will call in a couple of days to up date you whether we’ve found something or not.”

 

“Ok” AJ nodded.  His heart now racing, his hands sweating, and he couldn’t hold back the smile on his face.  Even though it was a small step they were getting closer and the Detectives confidence seem to boost his confidence too.

 

AJ walked the Detective out the door and closed it behind him.  He leaned back against the door and took a deep breath as he closed his eyes.  “We’re close, we’re close I can feel it.” He whispered. 

 

He thought about going upstairs to wake her and tell her the good news but then something else came to mind.  With a snap of his fingers he grabbed his keys and headed out the door.  He drove down a few blocks to the local flower store and picked up a bouquet of Sierra Tiger Lilies and then headed home.  It only took him a half hour or so by the time he waited for the woman to get the bouquet ready.  He walked into the house and headed down the hall. Walking into the kitchen he made his way to a small cupboard off to the side and grabbed a vase, he then filled it a little with some water and then put the flowers into it.  Carefully he made his way upstairs to their bedroom and smiled when he heard the shower going in the bathroom off of their bedroom.  AJ walked into their room and set the flowers down on her dresser.  He then crept his way over to the bathroom door, slowly opening it hoping he could surprise her.  But to his shock the door would only open a crack.  He pushed harder against it and it moved a little more.

 

He looked into the crack in the door and his eyes caught the mirror.  “Jesus Fuck!” He shouted when he saw Chelsea on the floor of the bathroom.  Pushing hard against the door as he wiggled his body through he was able to push her and the door back enough to get in.  When he turned around he saw his wife on the floor wrapped in her housecoat, bleeding from her head. 

 

“Chelsea?” He said in a panic and she didn’t respond.  “Chels baby!” He shouted in panic.  She didn’t move and he noticed how pale she looked. A whimper left his lips when he touched her face and felt her skin getting cold. His eyes filled with tears as he clumsily reached for his cell and dialed 9-1-1.

 

When the operator asked what his emergency was he blurted out.  “My wife, my wife fell or something I don’t know she’s bleeding from the head, she’s very pale please I need help.” He cried into the phone.

 

“Is she breathing?” The woman asked on the other end.

 

AJ stared at Chelsea he stared at her lips and her chest.  “I dunno.” He replied and the thought of her not breathing made him cry harder.

 

“Do you know how to check for her pulse?” She asked.

 

“Ye-yeah I think so.” AJ replied as he tried to shake off the numbing fog that was around him.  He placed his first two fingers on the side of her neck and held his breath.  He could feel right away that she had a heart beat but her heart was racing a mile a minute.  “There’s a pulse but her heart is racing, Chels please be ok” He said into the phone.

 

“I need you to cover her head with something to try and stop the bleeding.” The woman told him.

 

Frantically AJ looked around and saw a towel hanging from the door.  Grabbing it he ripped it from the back of the door and tried to bunch it up as he placed it under her head.  “Where are you in you’re house?” The woman asked.

 

“Upstairs in the Master bedroom bathroom.” AJ replied as his eyes darted over his wife. He took her hand and kissed the back of it as he tried his hardest to keep himself together but every second was making it harder and harder.  Then he heard the thumping of heavy footsteps running up the stairs. 

 

“In here!” AJ yelled as he looked around the door.  “They’re here, they’re here.” AJ told he operator quickly.

 

He stood up and stepped back as the two EMT’s came into the bathroom and began assessing Chelsea.  The Operator said goodbye and AJ hung up the phone as he watched the scene in front of him.

 

“Sir?” One of the men said and AJ looked at him the numbing fog coming over him again.  “Sir?”

 

“Yeah?” AJ replied trying to shake it off.

 

“What’s her name?” He asked.

 

“Chels-Chelsea.” AJ told him and then the man turned back towards his wife and started to call her name.

 

“We’ve got class three hemorrhaging.” The other EMT said.  “I’m going to start running an IV here.”

 

“Class three?” AJ asked them but they didn’t answer. “What does that mean?”

 

“We need to get her to the hospital now or we’re going to lose her.” The first EMT said. “She’s bleeding out fast.”

 

“What!?” AJ said one of the men grabbed their radio and called down to someone to bring up the stretcher.  “What, what’s going on?” AJ asked becoming more confused and more scared as the seconds went by.

 

“Stretchers on its way up let’s stabilize her neck.” The EMT said.

 

This was becoming all too much for AJ and he turned around.  He needed a break, a quick break.  Closing his eyes he ran his fingers through his hair and began to cry again.  He felt the panic rise up in him, he didn’t know what to do, and he didn’t know what was going to happen.  His chest began to tighten and he took a deep breath to try and stretch it out. 

 

“Kevin” He exhaled.  “Call Kevin.” He said as he fumbled with his phone trying to open it.  When he turned back around he saw the EMT’s and a couple of Fire Fighters lifting Chelsea on a stretcher.

 

“Hey man what’s up?” Kevin said as he picked up the phone.

 

“K-Kevin.” AJ spoke into the phone.

 

“Alex what’s wrong?” Kevin said.

 

“Chelsea” Was all he could say as he started crying.

 

“Sir, are you coming with us?” The EMT asked and AJ nodded.

 

“Alex what’s wrong with Chelsea?” Kevin repeated again.

 

“Get to Brier on Oak” AJ said as he followed the men out of the bathroom.  He closed the phone as Kevin shouted at him but he could only do one thing at time right now and right now it was all about Chelsea.

Chapter 6 by VeeLynn

                                       Chapter 6

 

His chair was hard and uncomfortable, his head sat in his hands and he sniffed as he whipped his eyes.  Finally the tears had stopped coming, finally his head had cleared from the fog and finally he was able to look at his wife as she lied in the hospital bed.  It was almost like déjà vu, only having been here a week ago but the only difference was Chelsea wasn’t in a coma last week.  Her colour had come back a little and he could now see that she was breathing.  The doctor told him that the fact she was breathing on her own was a good sign but with coma patients she could wake up or she could go down fast. AJ took a deep breath as he stood up and decided to go for a cigarette.  He walked out of the room and down the hallway of the hospital. 

 

“Alex?” He heard Kevin’s voice as he walked past the waiting room.

 

He stopped and looked at his friend.  “You’re still here?” AJ asked his voice and eyes showing the stress he was under.

 

“Yeah, I’m waiting for Mom, she’s coming right here from the Airport.” Kevin told him.  “Where are you going?”

 

“For a smoke.” He replied as he nodded towards the elevators.

 

“Want company?” Kevin asked.

 

“Sure” AJ said with a light shrug.

 

The two of them walked to the elevators and waited for one to pick them up.  When it arrived they both walked in and waited for it to take them down.  The two men said nothing and stayed silent as they walked off the elevators.  As AJ walked outside with Kevin beside him he dug into his pocket for his smokes. 

 

“How are you holding up?” Kevin asked as they sat down.

 

“I don’t know.” AJ mumbled as he held the cigarette in one hand and the lighter in the other.  “I really don’t, all I know is I can’t lose her again, I lose her again and…” He stopped as the thought put a lump in his throat and then he felt Kevin place his hand on his shoulder.  AJ wiped his eyes and inhaled deeply.  He put the cigarette into his mouth and lit it.  Taking a long hard drag he let the stress and anxiety wash away as the smoke blew from his lips.

 

“Alex” He heard Kevin say and he looked up at his friend.  His eyebrows fell in confusion when he saw the look on Kevin’s face.  “Get inside.”

 

“What?” AJ said confused but before he could look at what Kevin was looking at his friend stood up in front of him. Then two hands flew past his band mate and grabbed him by the shirt.  Stunned he dropped his cigarette as the momentum sent him crashing to the ground.  AJ looked up and saw a fist coming at him. He tried to see who was throwing the punches at him but all he could do was curl into a ball trying to protect himself from the furry of punches that came his way.  He could taste the blood in his mouth and he could feel his eye swelling. 

 

Then he felt the weight come off him and he took this chance to scramble away as fast as he could.  AJ looked up to see what was going on just as Kevin was suckered punch by his brother Jerald.  “What the hell man!” Kevin shouted as he grabbed his face but Jerald said nothing as he ran at AJ again.

 

“Where were you!!?” Jerald shouted.  “Out drinking again?!”

 

AJ couldn’t answer as another fist slammed against his face and that time he thought he had lost a tooth.  “Get the fuck off him!” He heard Kevin shout and then felt Jerald let go of his shirt.

 

“Why are you sticking up for him?!” Jerald screamed at his brother.  “Chelsea is in there because of him!”

 

“Jerald she fell and hit her head.” Kevin said as AJ sat on the ground staring at the two brothers.

 

“And where was he, out drinking? Just like the times before, he put this stress on her, he did this too her!” Jerald screamed.  “I hope you’re happy!”

 

“Happy?” AJ thought and then his blood pressure began to rise.  “HAPPY!?” AJ screamed as he got to his feet.  “You think I’m happy my wife is up there in a coma!?”

 

“Is there a problem?” A man in a puffy blue jacket asked as two more came up behind him.

 

“My name is Alex Mclean, my wife is in room 304, and I want this asshole escorted out of here.” AJ said as he touched his lip.

 

“I’m her brother you can’t kick me out!?” Jerald yelled back.

 

“The hell I can’t!” AJ snapped back.  “You’re her brother huh? Well how about you start fucking supporting her instead of bringing her down.  When she came back what did you do? Jerald. Huh? What did you do? You made her recovery a hundred times worse because it wasn’t what you wanted.  When I was in the accident instead of being there for her what did you do? When we were getting married you had absolutely nothing to do with her.  So tell me Jerald how have you been a brother to her?”

 

“She is my wife and I will protect her with every breath I have and right now you are not allowed anywhere near her, you got me, no where near her, now get the fuck outta my site!!” AJ screamed and then left the group of people as he walked to the hospital doors.

 

“Mr. Mclean?” Someone said from behind him and AJ spun around ready to yell at who ever it was.  “You should have one of the nurses clean up your face a bit.” The security guard said.  AJ looked past the man and saw Kevin and Jerald having some kind of yelling match but with the traffic on the street it was a little hard to hear what they were saying.

 

“Alright” AJ agreed and let the security guard walk him to a nurse’s station.

 

He sat on a gurney bed as a nurse began to clean the cuts on his face.  It stung a little but his mind was still so furious over what Jerald had done that it didn’t even register to him.  When the nurse was finished she let AJ leave and he got off the bed.  As he walked down the hall towards the elevator he heard Kevin shouting at him to get his attention.  Slowly he turned around and waited for Kevin to catch up to him.

 

“I mean it dude I don’t want him anywhere near her.” AJ said before Kevin could even say anything.

 

“I know Alex, that’s fine, you have the right.” Kevin replied. “Are you ok?”

 

“I’m fine.” He sighed. “Nice shiner” AJ said with a little smile.

 

“You too” Kevin replied. “I’m going to wait here for Mom, make sure Jerald doesn’t try to put her in the middle of this mess.”

 

“Alright” AJ nodded.  “When she gets here just send her upstairs.”

 

“I will.” Kevin said.

 

When the elevator doors opened Kevin and AJ went their separate ways.  Kevin went back to the front doors and AJ walked onto the lift.  As the doors closed he leaned against the wall as the elevator jerked a bit and then began to take him to the third floor.  His body began to shake and he closed his eyes trying to fight back the emotion that was ready to burst from him.  The bell to the elevator rang and he walked off as the doors opened.  He was lost in his thoughts as he walked down the hall, past the nurse’s station and stopped at Chelsea’s door.  Taking a deep breath he opened the door and walked into the room.  AJ stopped dead when he saw someone sitting beside Chelsea’s bed side.

 

“Mom?” AJ said a little stunned to see her there.

 

“Hi darling.” She said with a warm smile.  “The nurse said you went outside for a minute so I just thought…” Denise was cut off as her son wrapped her in his arms and started crying.  “Oh Alex” She frowned and wrapped her arms around her son.  “It’s ok darling, everything will be ok.”

 

Those were the words he wanted to hear, those were the words he hoped would make him feel better, and just having his Mom here holding him did kind of help a little.  He cried as his Mom held him, he didn’t say anything he just cried.  Letting out all the frustration and all the pain he had been holding inside. 

 

“Alex?” He heard his Mom say and he pulled away from her and wiped his eyes.  “What happened to your face?” She asked.

 

“Jerald showed up while Kevin and I were outside.” AJ told her as they both sat down.

 

“He did this too you?” Denise asked stunned.

 

“Yeah, he thinks the reason why I wasn’t there was because I was out drinking.” AJ told her.

 

“And were you?” She asked.

 

“No” AJ replied quickly almost hurt she would ask that question.  “Why does everyone think that?”

 

“Well Alex you haven’t been very forth coming with us over the past few months.” She said as AJ took a deep breath trying to calm himself.

 

“I know, I know but I wasn’t out drinking I swear.” AJ told her.  “I went down to the flower shop to get her some flowers.” AJ said as he nodded to Chelsea.

 

“Tell me what happened.” Denise said as she took her sons hand.

 

Taking another deep breath and began to speak.  “I was in my office looking for…looking for hotels because Chelsea and I were going to take a vacation before the group put the finishing touches on the CD and then started promo.” AJ told her.  “The head Detective of Chelsea’s case and Nadia’s case showed up, he told me that with what Chels had remembered they were able to track this woman to Nevada and they were going to go down there to see what they could find out.”

 

“They found her?” Denise asked a little excited.

 

“Not really, they talked to family and the ones who would talk said the last they heard this woman and Nadia were in Nevada, so they were going there to follow up.” AJ said.  “Chelsea was sleeping and it was the first eight hours of sleep she had gotten since all these memories started coming back.  So I went down to the flower shop grabbed her some flowers and then came right back home. I went to give them to her and tell her what the Detective had said and that’s when I found her…” He stopped the lump in his throat returning.  “That’s when I saw her on the bathroom floor; the shower was running and…” AJ broke down crying again and Denise took her son back into her arms.

 

A knock on the door broke the Mother and Son apart and AJ turned towards the door as it opened.  “Mom’s here.” Kevin said as he poked his head into the room.

 

“Ok” AJ nodded and the door opened further.  As Anne walked into the room AJ stood up.  “I…I think I’m going to try and have that smoke now.”

 

“Jerald went back to his hotel room.” Anne said with a soft smile.

 

“Yeah he got grounded by Mommy.” Kevin joked but then he got an angry look from Anne and shut up.  “Can I join ya?”

 

“Sure” AJ replied with a light chuckle and it felt could to laugh, if only for a moment.

 

 

Chapter 7 by VeeLynn
                                  Chapter 7

 

March/09

The house is seems so empty and I feel so alone.  My Mom, Kevin and Anne made me come home to shower, eat and sleep but I don’t want to go into the bathroom, I don’t want to eat and I’m no where close to tired. I want a drink so bad but Chelsea would hate me when she woke up, if she wakes up.  God I feel like an idiot, I wasted the past few months drinking my sorrows away, fighting with her over stupid shit and now, now I may never get the chance to say anything to her ever again.  They tell me to think positive, they tell me to talk to her…I wonder if this is how she felt when I got into the accident but at least back then she knew I would wake up.  I also came very close to having Jerald charged with assault but out of respect to Anne and Kevin I didn’t…

 

The phone ringing broke him from his writing and he put down his journal.  He picked up the cordless phone and answered it without looking at who was calling.  “Hello?”

 

“Mr. Mclean it’s Detective Wilkos.” The lead FBI Detective spoke.

 

“Hi” AJ replied as he sat back against his couch.

 

“I know things are very rough for you right now but I was wondering if you’d be able to come down to Nevada.” The man asked.

 

“Why?” AJ replied his face falling in confusion.

 

“We have found your daughter.” The Detective told him and the world around AJ stopped.

 

“You found her?” AJ asked again making sure he heard the man right.

 

“Yes we’ve found her and we need you to come down to Las Vegas, I can explain more when you get here.” He told him as AJ’s body shook with excitement.  “I know it will be hard to leave Chelsea right now.”

 

“It’s ok; she would want me to go.” AJ replied.  “I will be there on the next flight.” AJ told them.

            “Call me back on the number I gave you when you have everything confirmed someone will be at the airport to pick you up.” Detective Wilkos said.

 

AJ said goodbye to the man and then hung up the phone.  He stared at it for a moment as a smile slowly stretched across his face.  “We found her.” AJ said quietly.  “We fucking found her!” He shouted in excitement as he jumped up from the couch and ran upstairs with the cordless still in his hand.  Grabbing his bag from his closet he tossed it onto the bed and headed to his dresser as he dialed Kevin’s number.

 

“Man, you’re supposed to be sleeping” Kevin said without saying hello.

 

“They found her!” AJ blurted out with excitement into the phone.

 

“What?” Kevin said a little confused.

 

“They Found Nadia, the Detective needs me to go to Vegas.” AJ told him.  “I’m packing right now, I’m going to book my flight, if I have time I’ll swing by and say goodbye to Chelsea before I go.”

 

“You’re serious?” Kevin said.

 

“Yes I’m serious dude what the fuck?” AJ replied as he stopped packing for a moment, then he quickly slammed his close into his bag not even bothering to fold them.

 

“Alex that’s…that’s just.” Kevin couldn’t get out the words.  AJ could hear his Mom in the background asking what was going on.

 

“It’s ok to tell her, just in case I can’t make it down there.” He told Kevin as he zipped up his bag.

 

“Ok” Kevin replied as AJ opened his bedroom door and hurried down the hallway.  “The Detective called they found Nadia.” AJ heard the two women gasp.  “He’s grabbing a flight to Vegas they said they needed him down there, he’s going to try and stop by before he goes though.”

 

“K, dude I gotta find me a flight I’ll call and let you know when I leave.” AJ told him as he walked into his office.

 

“Alright man” Kevin replied and then the two friends hung up.

 

Quickly AJ pulled up the LAX website that he had bookmarked and typed in his flight info.  There was a plane leaving in an hour and a half, he could make it but wouldn’t be able to stop off and see Chelsea.  He was ok with that; he knew Chelsea would want him to get his ass down there as fast as possible.  AJ closed the browser and his eyes caught the desk top.  It was a picture of Chelsea and the dogs. 

 

He smiled at the picture.  “I’m going to bring our daughter back to you.” He whispered and then kissed his first to fingers and touched her face on the screen.

 

AJ stood up and grabbed his bag, he walked out of is office, walked out of his house, locked the door and headed to his car.  He put his bag in the back and then got in the driver side.  Plugging in his blue tooth he dialed Kevin’s number and waited for him to pick up.

 

“Hey what’s up?” Kevin said.

 

“I got an hour and a half to get to the airport and get to my gate.” AJ told him.

 

“Ok so you won’t be by” Kevin said knowing it would take at least an hour to get to LAX from AJ’s house even if he did take the highways.

 

“Yeah it’s going to be pushing it as it is.” AJ said.

 

“Its ok man, we got her here you go get your little girl.” Kevin said and it made AJ smile.  “Well I guess she’s not little.” Kevin quickly said with a chuckle and it made AJ chuckle too.

 

“I’ll call when I get all the info, ok?”

 

“Alright man, stay safe and good luck.” His friend said before they hung up.

 

AJ followed the city streets until he came to the first highway ramp, he was glad that at least he didn’t have to deal with the Business rush that plagued the highways of LA, and he hoped there were no ghost cars that would catch him flying down the highway.  He glanced at the clock on his dash and relaxed a little when he realized he was making good time as he approached highway 405 which would lead him close to the airport. 

 

When he arrived he had about forty-five minutes to check in get through security and get to his gate and as long as there wasn’t any major back ups he could do it.  After he checked it he grabbed his cell and called the Detective to let him know what flight he was on and when he would get in.  The Detective told him that another Detective would be at McCarran Airport and bring him to the MGM Grand where the FBI agents were staying.  He hung up the phone when he reached security and was glad to see he could basically walk right through.

 

“Getting lucky today” He thought to himself as he walked through the tall security archway which didn’t beep. 

 

AJ sat down at his gate and pulled out his phone.  Not wanting prying ears to hear cause you never know who was around he texted Kevin. 

 

“How are things?” He asked and then waited.

 

About five minutes later his phone alerted him he had a text.  “Good, she just went down for another CAT scan, gonna be a half hour or so, going to grab something to eat.”

 

“Ok let me know how it went.” He sent back and waited for a reply.

 

“Will do man.” Kevin texted back after a couple of minutes.

 

He was glad he was cutting things close to take off because then he didn’t have to sit and wait to long.  His mind was going a mile a minute thinking about things.  What did she look like, does she know who he is, how is she handling what is happening, and then he thought about Chelsea.  The times he find her in a room along crying, the pain in her eyes when she woke up in the hospital, and how much she wanted to have her daughter back.  Now she was in a coma as he flew out to Vegas to meet their daughter for the first time.

 

“Now boarding flight 143 to Las Vegas.” A woman announced over the PA and AJ grabbed his bag and headed over to the line at the gate.

 

“Leaving now, phone down.” He text to Kevin and after it went through he shut his phone off.  Placing the cell in his pocket he lifted his bag over his shoulder and pulled out his ID.

 

He sat down in his seat on the plane and looked out the window.  Taking a deep breath he pushed the down the excitement and nervousness that wanted to explode from him.  Then he realized he packed only clothes, no iPod, no journal, and wondered what he would do for the next hour.  When the plane took off he looked out the window and watched the buildings below get smaller and smaller.  As the plane leveled out he closed his eyes and gathered his thoughts.  How he wished Chelsea was here.

 

The flight seemed to take forever even though it was only about fifty-five minutes and as the plane descended down towards the run way he felt his heart beating faster and faster.  He waited for most of the people to clear out and then grabbed his bag as he walked off the plane.  AJ walked through the terminal and kept an eye out wondering who would pick him up.

 

“Mr.Mclean?” A woman asked as she walked up to him.

 

“Uh yea?” He asked, was this a Detective or a fan.

 

“I’m Agent Panas I’m here to take you to the hotel.” The woman said.

 

“Ok” He nodded and his heart jumped into his throat. This was it he was on his way.

 

He followed the Detective out of the airport and headed to a black car.  They both got into the backseat and when the back door closed the driver pulled away from the hotel.  AJ started biting his nails as he looked out the window to the city he was all too familiar with.  Without knowing his foot lightly tapped the car floor as his knee gently bounced.

 

“Nervous?” The woman said and he looked at her confused.

 

“Huh?”

 

“You’re biting your nails and tapping your foot, signs someone is nervous.” The Agent said as she nodded at his finger in his mouth.

 

“Oh, yeah a little I guess.” AJ replied as he pulled his hand away.  “Does she know what’s going on?” He asked.

 

“Nadia?” The woman asked and AJ nodded.  “Yes, she has been told why Helen was arrested and why we were there.”

 

“Is she ok?” AJ asked.

 

“She’s very quiet, we really can’t get he to talk.” The woman told him and it made AJ frown but oddly there was a familiarity to Nadia’s reaction. 

 

Then he lightly laughed to himself. “Just like her Mom”

Chapter 8 by VeeLynn
                                 Chapter 8

 

AJ walked down the hotel hallway of the MGM Grand hotel.  Agent Panas was bringing him to his room and when they turned the corner he saw Detective Wilkos talking to some other men and woman.  The FBI Detective turned and saw AJ; he smiled and walked over to him.

 

“Hello Alex.” The man said as he reached out his hand and shook it.  “How is Chelsea doing?”

 

“Nothing’s changed but I’m waiting to here the results of her latest CAT scan.” AJ told the man.  “So what’s going on? Can I see her?”

 

“We’re just waiting for the Judges order on custody right now.” Det. Wilkos said.  “We petitioned the judge; a couple of hours ago on your and Chelsea’s behalf to have Nadia stay with you during the DNA test and court proceedings, instead of Family Services.  If he agrees than you will be able to meet with her and a councilor.”

 

“And if he doesn’t agree?” AJ asked.

 

“We’ll have to set something up with Family Services for a meeting and it would take a little longer.” The Detective told him.  “You can go to your room and get settled; either Agent Panas or I will come get you.”

 

“Ok thanks.” AJ said as he adjusted his bag on his shoulder.

 

Agent Panas gave him his keycard and told him his room number.  It was only a couple of doors down from where they were standing.  When he entered the room he dropped his bag and dropped himself onto the bed.  As he lied on his back he pulled his phone from his pocket and checked for any text, there were none.  So he decided to send Kevin one.

 

“At the MGM Grand Room 657, how is Chelsea?” He set the phone down and sat up.

 

He saw himself looking back in the mirror; he placed his folded hands over his mouth and began to think.  What would he say, what would do, this complete stranger came into your life and said. “Hey I’m your Father and your Mother is in a coma.”  He took a deep breath and lowered his head, trying to keep himself in checked. His phone beeped.

 

Grabbing it off the bed he pulled up the text.  “Brain activity is still the same, nothing new to report.” AJ sighed after he read it.

 

“Tell her I love and miss her.” AJ texted back.

 

His stomach growled and he frowned at the realization he hadn’t ate yet.  Not sure how long it would take to hear back from the judge he headed to his door.  Opening it he looked out into the hallway and looked around for one of the Detectives.  The hall was empty so he walked out and headed down towards the elevators.  As he turned the corner someone slammed into him.

 

“Whoa” He blurted out in shock as he looked down at the person who came around the corner. “Sorry”

 

“Sorry” The girl said as she looked up at him and when she did AJ caught her eyes.  His heart stopped then fluttered, the girl walked around him and headed further down the hall.

 

“Wait” AJ said as he jogged after her but the girl didn’t stop.  “Hey, wait.” He said again as he sped his pace up a bit.

 

“What?” The girl said as she spun around.

 

“What’s your name?” He asked.

 

“Perv.” She scoffed at him and turned back around, walking towards the stairwell.

 

“Nadia.” AJ said and the girl stopped dead.  When she did he smiled and tried to catch his breath.  Slowly the girl turned around and looked at him.

 

“How did you know my name?” She asked.

 

“I’m Alex” AJ replied trying to find the words, any words.  “I’m…I’m your Dad.”

 

“Wow that was fucking weird to say” AJ thought instantly.

 

“I don’t have a Dad.” She said quickly.

 

“Hey!” Someone shouted and AJ turned around and saw Agent Panas jogging towards him.

 

“Great” Nadia sighed.

 

“Where are you going?” The Agent asked as she walked up to AJ and Nadia.

 

“For a walk.” Nadia replied sarcastically

 

“She’s got my attitude too.” He thought as he smiled to himself.

 

“You need to stay in your room.” Agent Panas told her.

 

“Cool, then I’ll go to my room.” Nadia replied as she picked up her bag and headed towards the stairs again.

 

“Your Hotel room.” The Agent said and AJ could tell she was getting annoyed.  Nadia stopped and grunted.

 

“Where’s my Mom?” Nadia asked and AJ knew she wasn’t asking for Chelsea.

 

“We told you where she was.” Panas said and Nadia rolled her eyes.  Those eyes, Chelsea was right she really did have his eyes.

 

“I wanna see her.” Nadia demanded.

 

“You can’t right now.” The Detective told her.

 

“Cause you put her in jail.” Nadia snapped.  “And I don’t care what the judge says, I’m not going anywhere with him.” She shouted as she pointed at AJ.

 

“Just get back to your room please.” Agent Panas told her.

 

“So if this dude is my Dad than where is this Mom of mine?” She asked.

 

The Detective looked at AJ.  “She’s not here.” AJ told her.

 

“Oh” Nadia nodded.  “Good to know she cares.”

 

“She does care.” AJ replied.  “She’s just…” He stopped.

 

“She’s what?” Nadia snapped again.  “She has something more important to do, getting her nails done, working, shopping what?”

 

“No” AJ said.

 

“Then what?” Nadia asked.  “If I’m this long lost daughter that was supposedly taken away from her what is more important than being here?”

 

“She’s in a coma Nadia.” AJ told her trying not to fight back with her.

 

“Oh that’s rich.” Nadia scoffed.

 

“It’s the truth Nadia.” The Agent said.

 

“Look Nadia, Your Mom’s been through a lot…”

 

Nadia interrupted him.  “She’s NOT my Mom!”

 

“Fine, Chelsea’s been through a lot.” AJ told her.

 

“So why are you coming now?” Nadia asked.

 

“Because we didn’t find Chelsea until a couple of years ago, I thought she was dead, her family thought she was dead.” AJ told her.  “And she had blocked out a lot of what happened.”

 

“Including me.” Nadia mumbled.

 

“Yes including you but not because she didn’t care, because having you taken away from her, having you ripped away from her was too much for her to handle.” AJ told her.

 

Just then Detective Wilkos came around the corner and both AJ and Agent Panas turned to look at him.  “Judge gave his ruling.” The man told them.  “Nadia can go home with you after you meet with a councilor and get your DNA taken. The next hearing will be in a couple of weeks.”

 

AJ turned around to look a Nadia but she was gone, he looked up and saw the stairway door closing.  He took off running after her and when he entered the stairwell he saw her running down them.

 

“Nadia wait.” AJ yelled after her.

 

“Go away.” She shouted back as AJ hurried to catch up with her.

 

“Please wait.” AJ said as he reached for her arm.

 

“Let go of me!” She snapped at him.

 

“Nadia” AJ said and stepped in front of her stopping her from moving.  “I know this is hard.”

 

“Hard? Some people show up at my home, arrest my Mom and tell me oh, she’s not your Mom and you have to go live with complete strangers, no that’s not hard at all.” She snapped back and AJ couldn’t help but smirk.  “Glad you find it funny.”

 

“You have my attitude.” AJ told her.  Nadia grunted and rolled her eyes as she plopped down on a step.  “Look into my eyes and tell me you don’t see yourself looking back at you.”  Nadia didn’t say anything or look at him.  “I know you’re pissed off, I would be too your whole world has been flipped upside down but the truth is I’m your Dad and I promised your Mom…” Nadia shot him a look but he ignored it.  “I promised her that we would find you, that I would bring you too her.”

 

“I thought she was in a coma.” Nadia scoffed.

 

            “She is that’s why it’s so important I keep this promise.” AJ told her. “Come back to California with me, wait out the DNA test there, and give me a chance.”

 

He looked at her and waited for an answer.  “Fine” She mumbled and AJ wanted to jump up and start dancing. “But I’m NOT happy about it.”

 

“Ok” He replied as he stood up and helped her up.

 

Together they walked back up the stairwell to the floor they were on.  AJ held the door open for her and then they walked down the hall back towards the FBI Detectives.  He looked down at Nadia as they approached the man and woman, wanting to examine every part of her face.  Looking for what was his and what was Chelsea’s.

 

“So what happens now?” AJ asked and Detective Wilkos turned to them.

 

“You’ll meet with a councilor for a couple of hours, we’ll get both of your DNA and then you can head back to California tonight or tomorrow.” He told them.

 

“Ok” AJ nodded. 

 

“I’ll go let the councilor know.” Detective Panas said as she walked away from them.

 

“So where in California do you live?” Nadia asked and AJ looked at her.

 

“LA” He told her.

 

“Really?” Nadia said.  “What do you do there?”

 

AJ giggled and Nadia looked at him confused.  “Damn, didn’t think we had fallen that far off the map.” He jokingly sighed.

 

“Huh?” She replied confused.

 

“I’m in the group the Backstreet Boys.” AJ told her.

 

“You’re a Backstreet Boy? Like the Boy Band Backstreet Boys?” Nadia replied confused.

 

“Yep” AJ replied with a nod.

 

“Well I don’t like boy band music.” Nadia said and he smiled to himself at the way she pretended not to care.

 

“So what do you like?”

 

“Real music.” She replied.

 

“And what’s real music?” He asked.

 

“Jonas brothers.”  She told him.

 

“Ah, you mean Hanson.”

 

“What? No, they aren’t like Hanson.” Nadia replied.

 

“Three brothers singing in a group.” AJ shrugged.

 

“They have way better music than MmmBop.”

 

AJ laughed.  “Anything’s better than MmmBop.”  Nadia started to laugh, it made AJ laugh too and then he noticed. “You have her laugh.”

 

“Who’s? Oh.” She said realizing who he was talking about.

 

“I miss it.” He kind of blurted out.  There was a moment of silence.

 

“How long has she been in the coma?” She asked.

 

“Almost a week.” AJ replied.

 

“What happened?”

 

“She suffers from headaches because of what happened and all the memory blocks, before she remembered about you they were really bad.” He told her.  “They did start to calm down and then a couple of weeks ago she got hit with a big one.  She remembered a lot more about what had happened to you and they just kept coming.  One day last week Detective Wilkos called and told me they were heading to Vegas too look for you. So I went out bought her flowers and when I got back I heard the shower going.  I went into the bathroom and that’s when I found her on the floor, she must have had a migraine, it knocked her out and she hit her head.”

 

“Wow” Nadia said as she raised her eyebrows.  “Wait so you guys are still together?”

 

“Yeah” He nodded.  “She’s my world.”

 

Nadia lightly smiled at him and then looked away as Detective Wilkos walked up to them.  “Ok the councilor is ready for you.”

 

“You ready?” AJ asked Nadia.

 

“Yeah” Nadia replied with a light nod and then the two of them followed the Detective down to the elevators.

Chapter 9 by VeeLynn
                            Chapter 9

 

AJ sat on the edge of the bed his head in his hands when he felt two hands slide up his back and over his shoulders as a pair of lips gently drifted up the side of his neck.  Lifting his head he looked beside him and saw Chelsea wrapping her arms around him. He placed his hands on her forearms and laid back in her arms as she rested her head against his.

 

“I miss you.” He whispered as he closed his eyes and enjoyed the moment.  She didn’t say anything but he felt her arms wrap tighter around him.  “I saw her.” He told her.  “You’re right she has my eyes and she has my attitude but she has your laugh, your smile and she’s strong like you.”

 

AJ waited for her to say something but she didn’t she just held him.  “I wish you were here, I wish you could see her, but you will soon, you will soon sweetheart.”  Something shoved him and he opened his eyes.

 

“Nadia?” AJ said confused when he saw his daughter staring back at him.  “Everything ok?” He said as he slowly sat up and rubbed his eyes, trying to wake up. He couldn’t get a flight out from Las Vegas until two in the morning and he didn’t want to keep Nadia up that late with everything she had gone through. The meeting was rough for her and she basically froze up and wouldn’t talk.  The councilor agreed to give her time to get use to the situation, so AJ planned to take a plane back in the morning.

 

“I can’t sleep.” She said quietly.

 

“What’s up?” He asked as he made room for her to sit on the bed.  She didn’t say anything but shrugged.  “Like I said at the meeting, you can talk to me.”

 

“I knew who you were when I first saw you, like, I knew you were AJ from the Backstreet Boys not that you were my dad.” She told him.

 

“Oh?” He replied wondering what brought this confession on.

 

“And I kind of knew Helen wasn’t my Mom.” She told him.

 

“You did?” AJ replied in even more shock.  “Did she tell you?”

 

“No, but I look nothing like her and we don’t really get along, I just thought I was one of those kids who didn’t get along with their Mom.” She shrugged.  “But when those FBI dudes showed up and told me what she did it just kind of like made sense.”

 

“I see.” AJ nodded.

 

“Do you have a picture of her?” Nadia asked.

 

“Of Chelsea?” He asked and she nodded.  “Yeah” AJ said as he grabbed his wallet from the nightstand.  He flipped it open, pulled out his latest picture and handed it to her. 

 

Nadia studied the picture.  “She’s pretty.”

 

“Yeah” AJ replied as he began to miss her.  “You have her smile.”

 

“How old were you guys?” Nadia asked. “Like when you got together.”

 

“We were both sixteen, she disappeared when we were about seventeen.” AJ told her.

 

“And you only found her a couple of years ago?” She asked.

 

AJ nodded.  “Yep, I was on tour down in Mexico, Kevin called me and said out of the blue some new information had come up about her Dad.  When he got there he found out she was being held captive all that time, that she didn’t die in the cabin like we thought she had.”

 

“That’s crazy.” Nadia said in awe.

 

“Yeah” AJ replied with a light chuckle and nod.

 

“I wonder why she took me.” Nadia said and AJ looked at her confused.

 

“What do you mean?” He asked.

 

“I always got the feeling she was stuck with me.  It was just a vibe, like she was going through the motions of a parent.  She never came to my school stuff unless she had too, she never really made a big deal about my Birthdays, and when I would want to talk to her like daughters and mothers do, she was always to busy.” Nadia told him.

 

When she told AJ that it made him mad, all this time Chelsea wanted nothing more than to hold her daughter, be with her daughter and she was robbed of all those things.  Now here was Helen the one who took all that away from her and she didn’t even want it.

 

“Maybe she didn’t want to be a Mom but maybe she thought she had too, Chelsea’s Father was a very disturbed man, and maybe she was trying to protect you.” AJ told her.

 

“Maybe.” Nadia said quietly.  “So what do we do now?”

 

“What time is it?” AJ asked looking at the small alarm clock.  It read five-thirty. “Hmm Wanna grab some breakfast?”

 

“Ok” Nadia nodded.  “Oh, here’s your picture back.”

 

“Keep it, I’ve got lots.” AJ said with a soft smile.

 

She smiled back.  “Thanks.  I’m going to get out of my PJ’s.”

 

“Ok come back here when you’re ready.” AJ told her with a light smile.

 

When he heard the door click close he let out a sigh.  It still hadn’t really sunk in, as of right now he was a Dad a dad of a female teenager.  He scratched his head and yawned as he crawled out of bed. Grabbing a clean pair of pants he slipped them over his boxers and then threw on a clean shirt.  His phone beeped and he stopped and stared at it for a minute. AJ walked over to his nightstand. Picking it up he brought up the text message and read it.

 

“Call me.” The text from Kevin said.  AJ quickly pulled up Kevin’s number and called.

 

“Hey man.” Kevin answered and AJ could tell in his voice something was wrong.

 

“Is she ok?” AJ asked his voice shaking.

 

“A couple of hours ago she started convulsing…” Kevin said.

 

“Oh god.” AJ blurted out as he covered his mouth, his eyes filling with tears.

 

“The doctors gave her some medication through her IV and they were able to stabilize her.  They sent her down for a CAT scan, the results came back and they said she’s losing more brain activity.” Kevin said as AJ started to cry.  “Now Alex the doctor re assured us that she could still pick back up, that her brain has been working over time because of the swelling and it’s taking like a vacation and the convulsions are a reaction to that.”

 

“Why do I think you’re about to say a but here?” AJ said as he sniffed and wiped his eyes trying to keep calm.

 

Kevin paused and there was silence.  “But the fact that her brain is losing activity could be the result of her falling deeper into the coma.”

 

“Fuck me” AJ cried as he dropped his phone and put his head in his hands.  He could hear Kevin calling to him but he didn’t care, he didn’t care about anything right now because right now he was losing his Chelsea.

 

“AJ?” He heard a voice say that wasn’t the faint voice of Kevin coming through the phone.  His eyes darted up and he saw Nadia standing in the hallway.  “AJ what’s wrong?” She asked.  Reaching down he picked up the phone and put it to his ear.

 

“I gotta go.” He told Kevin and hung up the cell.

 

“It’s Chelsea isn’t it?” Nadia said as she walked over to him and all he could do was nod.  “Is she ok?”

 

AJ took a deep breath; he didn’t know where to begin. “That was Kevin.” He said trying to catch his breath and get himself calm.  “He said that Chelsea…” He stopped; his mind was going a mile a minute. “Ah…He said that Chelsea started having convulsions…”

 

“Whoa.” Nadia gasped out.

 

He took another breath.  “They got them to stop, took her down for a CAT scan and…” he couldn’t finish, his voice fell into a whine and he started crying again.  “Her brain…her brain is losing activity, it’s a sign she’s slipping deeper into the coma.”

 

“What does that mean?” Nadia asked.

 

“The deeper she goes…” He stopped; his breathing was heavy and jagged.  “The deeper she goes the more likely she won’t wake up or she’ll just…she’ll die.”  He took a moment.  “He said it could just be from the swelling, the brain is relaxing, kind of like going into sleep mode and she could still recovery but…”

 

His cell phone rang and he sighed as he turned it over.  “It’s my Mom.”

 

“I can wait in my room if you want.” Nadia told him.

 

“Actually I want you here, can you stay here?” He asked her with a small timid smile and she nodded.  AJ looked away from Nadia and picked up the call.

 

“Hello?” His voice cracked as he spoke.  “Hello?” He repeated again.

 

“Are you ok darling?” She asked.

 

“If you mean am I going to raid the mini bar, yeah I’m ok but I’m tittering.” He told her.

 

“I know it looks bad Alex but the Doctor said that she is still breathing on her own, that’s promising and it’s still too early to tell, like Kevin said her brain just might need a short break.” Denise told him.

 

“I hope so.” AJ replied trying to hold it together.  “I’m going to go see if I can get an earlier fight.”

 

“Alright” Denise said.  The Mother and Son said their I love yous and goodbyes and then hung up.

 

He sighed again as he put his head in his hands, still holding his cell phone.  His foot tapped nervously on the floor as his mind raced on what he had to do to get home to Chelsea.  Tell the Detectives, find a flight, book a flight and then get to the hospital as quick as possible.

 

“Is it true that people in Coma’s can like hear you, when you talk to them?” Nadia asked as AJ looked at her with his red bloodshot eyes.

 

“So they say.” AJ replied.

 

“Do you think if I talk to her it will help?” Nadia asked and AJ lightly smiled.

 

“Couldn’t hurt” He told her.  “I’m going to go find a flight and let the Detectives know we need to leave early.” AJ got up from the bed. “Do you need to pack?”

 

“No, I’m already to go.” She told him and he nodded as he head towards his hotel room door. 

 

AJ left the room and walked Nadia down to hers.  “I’ll come get you when I get everything worked out ok?”

 

“Ok” Nadia nodded.

 

AJ walked down to Detective Wilkos room and knocked on the door.  He wondered if he was going to wait long because most likely the man was still sleeping but when the door opened he was surprised to see the man was dressed and wide awake.

 

“Hello AJ is there a problem?” He asked.

 

“I need to go back to Cali, my brother in law called and Chelsea starting having convulsions and there’s been a change in her brain activity.”

 

“I take it not a good one?” The man replied.

 

“They’re telling me not to worry but all I see is the loss of brain activity and the fact that it could lead to her falling deeper into the coma.” AJ told him his bottom lip quivered as he held back his tears. “I just want to get Nadia too her, let her hear Nadia’s voice.”

 

“Ok” The man nodded.  “I’ll get the court date papers ready for you and then you and Nadia can go.”

 

“Thank you.” AJ said with a little bit of a relieved smile.

Chapter 10 by VeeLynn
                                   Chapter 10

 

AJ followed the highway through LA, taking almost the same route he took when he left for Vegas.  Instead of taking the highway that took him to his house he turned off onto another one and headed right to the hospital.  He made sure he didn’t drive to fast not with Nadia in the car.  They had both been pretty quiet for the whole trip home and even as they sat in the car they said nothing.  AJ pulled into the hospital parking lot and found a spot.  He parked the car and shut it off but he didn’t get out right away, he sat there staring out the front window.

 

“Are you ok?” Nadia asked and he turned his head and looked at her.  He wasn’t sure what she knew about him, yeah she had heard of him and the group but did she know everything he had been through.  What happened to him when he lost Chelsea, the way his Dad treated him, the fame and the fall and what everything had lead too.  Did she know about the drinking and the drugs and how right now he wanted to make reality go away?

 

“I’m just scared I guess.” He said as he looked back out the window. 

 

“Yeah” Nadia replied with a light nod. 

 

AJ looked over at her; she was picking at her nails and biting her lip.  Sure he was scared, the unknown always scared him and it’s usually what lead him to start drinking but here was this fourteen year old girl.  She had just found out the woman she had known all her life was not her Mother and the woman that was her Mother was in a Coma.  At least if AJ had questions there were doctors who could answer but for Nadia the only one who could answer her questions, couldn’t.

 

“This is a whole knew ballgame Mclean.” He thought to himself.  “You need to hold it together and you need to be strong for her, for your daughter.”

 

“If you want to go just let me know we can go when ever you’re ready.” He told her.

 

“What about Chelsea?” She asked.

 

“You’ve always been her first priority.” AJ replied and he felt the urge to take her hand but he didn’t.  “She would want me to take care of you, I want to take care of you and make sure you’re ok.  So if it gets to be too much with my Mom, Anne or Kevin there just let me know ok?”

 

Nadia nodded. “Ok”

 

AJ pulled the keys out of the ignition and opened his door.  When he closed his door he walked to the back of the car and waited for Nadia to come around the other side.  They met up behind the car and walked into the hospital together.  AJ noticed Nadia stayed right with him as they walked to the elevators.

 

“Your Mom is probably going to freak out a little huh?” Nadia said.

 

AJ looked at her and lightly smiled.  “Probably and she might get a little over protective.”

 

“Is she like that with you?” Nadia asked. “Cause you’re an only child?”

 

“Yeah” AJ nodded.

 

“Wish I had that at least you know she cares.” Nadia replied and it made him frown for a quick second.

 

“Oh, give me time.” AJ replied and she smirked and then laughed.

 

They walked off the elevators and down the hallway.  When they reached Chelsea’s room they stopped outside of the door.  It was more for AJ than Nadia at this moment, wondering what he would walk into, would she go into convulsions again when he was there. How would he even handle seeing her like that?  What about Nadia, how would she handle it?  With a deep breath he grabbed the knob, turned it and pushed on the door.  When he poked his head in he saw the three of them looking at him.  He could see the nervousness and anticipation in their eyes. 

 

“Hi” AJ said as he started to walk in further.

 

“Hi” The three replied.

 

His eyes darted to Chelsea and his heart ached.  Her hair was flat, her arms laid right beside her, her face looked paler than when he saw her last, her eyes had dark rings around them, her lips were dry and she even looked a little thinner than usual. His whole body ached wanting to take her into his arms and hold her.

 

“Anything new?” He asked.

 

“We just got word back from the CAT she had this morning, they said her activity hasn’t stopped it’s not going down anymore, and her Doctor said that’s a good thing.” Kevin told him as his eyes would dart beside AJ and he knew Kevin was looking at Nadia.

 

“Ok” He replied with a nod and then he turned to Nadia.  “So this is Nadia.”

 

“Hi” Denise, Anne and Kevin said with smiles as they looked at her. Nadia lightly smiled and gave a small light wave.

 

            “Mind if we have a few minutes alone with Chelsea?” AJ asked.

 

“No, I could go for a coffee anyways.” Kevin said as he stood up.

 

“Yes, me too, and I need to call Tim.” Anne said as she stood up.

 

“Are you coming with us?” Kevin asked as he looked at AJ’s Mom.

 

“Yeah” Denise replied as she reached for her purse and then stood up.  She walked up to AJ and hugged him.  “Chelsea was right.” His Mom whispered to him.  AJ smiled and nodded lightly.

 

When the door closed AJ walked over to Chelsea’s bedside and took her hand.  He sat down on the chair that was there and pulled it closer.  Folding his hand around her, he brought it to his lips and gently kissed the back of her hand.  Reaching up he touched her face as he brushed a few strands of hair from her face.

 

“Hey sweetheart” He spoke his voice cracking a little.  “I’m sorry I haven’t been around but I had a promise to keep.” AJ took a deep breath and quickly sorted out in his head what he was going to say.  Not letting the fact Nadia was in the room with him hold him back AJ let it out.  “They found her Chels, they found our little girl and she is beautiful.  That’s why I was gone, I had to go get her and bring her here to you.”  He smiled.  “You were right, she has my eyes, and I’m sorry babe but she has my attitude too.” He laughed.  “But she has your smile, your laugh and she is so strong just like you.  That’s how I know you’ll be ok, you survived your Dad, you pushed through the headaches, the pain, the unknowing and you’ve put up with me.” AJ stopped and took a breath.

 

“You gotta wake up sweetheart, everything you’ve been searching and fighting for is right here, so you just gotta wake up now.” He told her and closed his eyes as a tear dripped from the corner of his eye.

 

When he heard the door open he looked up and saw Nadia walking out of the room, quickly he looked back at Chelsea and then put her hand down gently beside her.  Hastily he got up from the chair and almost flew out of the room.  His head turned left and right as he looked down the hall. 

 

“Nadia?” He said when he saw she was standing to his right just outside the door.

 

“T-That’s my mom.” Nadia said and her statement caught AJ off guard a little.

 

“What do you mean?” He asked.

 

“Like with Helen I always had this feeling like we didn’t click, I just thought it was one of those Mother Daughter things but when I saw Chelsea…I dunno it’s stupid.” Nadia said as she started too walked away.  Without giving it another thought AJ grabbed her hand and she quickly turned around.  AJ walked over to some chairs sitting in the hallway and sat them both down.

 

“Tell me.” He replied not flinching.

 

Nadia stared at him for a moment and then took a deep breath.  “When I saw Chelsea it hit me like bam, I don’t even know her, I’ve never seen her before, ever but I know just by seeing her she is my Mom. It’s like this feeling just came over me, like, I dunno I can’t explain it.”

 

“I think I understand.” AJ replied.  

 

“You do?” Nadia replied and when she looked at AJ he saw the tears in her eyes.

 

AJ nodded. “Parents have a special bond with their kids.” He paused.  “Well most of them do and that’s probably what you felt.”

 

“I have so many questions and she can’t answer them.” Nadia said as she wiped her eyes with the cuff of her sweater.

 

“Well I can try to answer them if you want and the ones I can’t I’m sure Chelsea will when she wakes up.”

 

“Did she have a name picked out for me?” Nadia asked.

 

AJ smiled.  “She picked the name Nadia.”

 

“She did?” Nadia replied with some shock to her voice.

 

He nodded.  “She picked it because she used to be a very good gymnast, her favorite gymnast was Nadia Komenich, and in Russian the name means Hope because that’s what you were to her, hope.”

 

“How good was she?” Nadia asked.

 

“She was on her way to the Olympic trials.” AJ told her.

 

“You think she’ll wake up?” Nadia asked.

 

“I know she will, she’s a fighter.” AJ told her.

 

“So you didn’t know Chelsea was pregnant?” Nadia asked.

 

“No, she didn’t even know when her Dad took her.” AJ told her.

 

“That must have been hard.” Nadia said as she began to pick her nails.

 

“From what she told me it was but it was harder after you were gone.” AJ said as Nadia looked at him.  “Having you taken away hurt her so much she blocked it out and it took her a long time to remember.”

 

“What about you?” Nadia asked.

 

“Me?” AJ replied a little confused on what she meant.

 

“Like when she finally remembered and told you?” Nadia replied.

 

“Well at first I was really shocked but then I was really happy, I’ve wanted kids for a long time.” AJ told her.

 

“How many grandparents do I have?” She asked.  “Where’s Chelsea’s Mom, how come she’s not here?”

 

AJ took a deep breath not really sure how to tell a fourteen year old what had happened to Chelsea’s Mom.  “Well, when Chelsea disappeared her Mom blamed herself for not showing up on time to pick her up and the bus drop off.” AJ told her.  “She became really depressed and basically couldn’t live with the guilt anymore.”

 

“She killed herself?” Nadia said as her jaw dropped a little and AJ just nodded.  “Well what about your Dad?”

 

“My Dad, well my Dad and I don’t have a very good relationship, he left my Mom when I was three and has been in and out of it ever since.” AJ told her.  “Last time I saw him was in Paris for one of my solo shows and that was about six months ago.”

 

“Bummer” Nadia said with a frown.

 

“But I have lots of family, my Mom, the fella’s and Chelsea, and like I said Kevin and his family are like Chelsea’s family.” AJ told her.

 

“Cool, I never really had a big family it was just me and Mo…me and Helen.” Nadia said and he stutter made him smile inside.  “Should I talk to her?” Nadia asked.

 

“Chelsea?” AJ asked not sure if she meant Helen or Chelsea.

 

“Yeah, like do you think she can hear me?” Nadia replied.

 

“I think she can.” AJ told her.

 

“What should I say?” She asked.

 

“Well I know the one thing she wants to hear is that you’re ok.” AJ said as Nadia took a deep breath.  “She was scared her Dad had done something to you and she was really worried finding you would flip your world upside down.”

 

“Well it did.” Nadia sighed.  “But I don’t think it was a bad thing.”

 

AJ smiled.  “We can go back in there if you want too or we can stay out here.” AJ told her.

 

Nadia nodded.  “I want to go back now.”  AJ lightly smiled and still holding his daughters he walked them back into Chelsea’s room.

 

When they reached Chelsea’s bed Nadia let go of his hand and walked over to the side of her bed.  AJ stood there staring at his wife and his daughter.  Usually it was hate or jealousy filling him with emotion but as he stood there looking at the two of them happiness, hope and a calming warmth filled his entire body.  He wasn’t sure but maybe at this moment, he felt complete, something he thought he would never feel.

 

“Hi” Nadia spoke her voice was soft and quiet.  “Umm, I’m really not sure what to say but I want you to know that I’m ok, that I’m here and I want you to wake up. I guess I need you to wake up because I have so many questions and I want to tell you I’m not mad about what happened like I’m not mad you and AJ found me…” She paused and bit her lip.  “I don’t need a test to tell me you’re my Mom I know you are, I hope you’ll wake up soon so we can get past all this getting to know you crap and just be a family because I really want that.”

Chapter 11 by VeeLynn
                                   Chapter 11

 

AJ opened the door to his house with his bag and Nadia’s bags in tow.  He walked into the house and stepped to the side letting Nadia walk into her new home.  Putting the bags down he closed the door and locked it.  When he turned around he saw Nadia in front of him as she looked around the hallway and living room.

 

“Did you want to pick out a room now or just relax?” He asked.

 

“Umm, I guess a room, I’m beat.” She said as she turned around.

 

“Ok well grab your bags and follow me.” He told her with a light smile.

 

AJ walked up the staircase as Nadia followed him, when he got to the top of the stairs he stopped and waited for her.  “So that’s the Master down there, the other two are down that way.”

 

“That one is yours and Chelsea’s?” She asked pointing to the Master bedroom.

 

“Yeah” He nodded, although lately it had been just his.  Suddenly he found himself regretting the nights he went out drinking, he could have been at home with her.  When Nadia hit the first bedroom she looked in. “The rooms are the same size and you can have the bathroom in the hallway cause we usually use the one in our room.”

 

“Cool” she replied with a nod.  “Then I’ll just take this one.”

 

“Ok” He replied with a nod.

 

“So are you crashing too?” She asked.

 

“Naw, think I’m going to have a coffee maybe watch a movie and wind down.” He told her as she dropped her bag on the floor.

 

“Cool” She nodded. 

 

“If you need anything I’ll be downstairs.” He said before he headed down the stairs.

 

AJ sat on the couch his legs stretched out feet resting on the coffee table, his mug sat on his lap as he watched the images on the screen.  He smiled as the woman on the screen laughed and rolled her eyes.

 

“Such a pig Mclean.” Chelsea laughed as the camera moved to her right.

 

“Come on I’m serious you’re hot!” AJ replied from behind the camera.

 

“You said I was hot when I was sixteen? So you’re saying I look like a sixteen year old?”

 

“Don’t most woman you’re age think that’s a compliment?” AJ replied.

 

Chelsea’s head spun around as AJ busted out laughing and the camera shook. “That’s not funny.”

 

“Aww baby you know I love you.” He replied with a chuckle as he moved the camera closer.  “Give me some love.”

 

The camera pointed down to the floor and shook as the couple could be heard laughing in the back and then the camera spun around and AJ was staring back into the lens. “I got some booty, I got some booty.” AJ sang as he did a little dance.

 

“Now I’m wondering if you ever grew up?” Chelsea sighed as the camera spun back around on her.

 

AJ chuckled.  “Say bye babe.”

 

“Bye babe” Chelsea replied with a goofy tone to her voice.

 

“That’s so 1950’ish.” AJ replied before the camera shut off.

 

Before the next section of video started AJ paused the DVD and pulled his legs down as he stood up to refill his coffee.  “Can we watch more?” A voice broke from across the living room and AJ jumped as his heart hit his throat.

 

“Scared me” He breathed out when he saw Nadia standing in the doorway.

 

“Sorry” She replied as the corner of her lip twitched into a quick smile.

 

“How long have you been there?” AJ asked.

 

“Since, ‘I got booty, I got booty.” Nadia replied mocking him.

 

“Mm, now I see why that was annoying.” He replied with a sigh, he then looked at the TV.  “That video was the morning before we got married; this is our own wedding DVD.” AJ paused.  “I like this one better than the one we paid for.”

 

“Are you going to bed?” She asked.

 

“No, I was going to get more coffee.” He replied. “Do you want something to drink?”

 

“Sure” Nadia nodded and she followed him into the kitchen.  “So can I watch the rest of that video with you? I mean unless there’s like other stuff on there and then no that’s ok.”

 

AJ stopped dead and looked at her. He answered the only way he knew how.  “Umm, nope that’s the other DVD.”

 

“Eewww” Nadia said with some nausea.  “Note, that’s something you say to your son not daughter.” She replied sarcastically back at him and then sighed a little.  “Maybe not to your kid’s period.”

 

“Not making promises, I’ve tried trust me.” AJ replied back and it pulled a smile from her.  “Oh!” He said quickly.  “You know which one I need to show you.” He spoke as he walked into the kitchen and she walked in behind him, he answered before she could.  “The first one I made, on my phone, she was just blown away I could shoot a video with my phone.”

 

“She was?” Nadia said a little confused as sat down and he opened the fridge.  “I don’t get it.”

 

“Her Dad kept her in a room, chained most of the time, he kept her hidden and she never really went outside, a lot of things have changed for a lot of people over the past ten years.” AJ said. “So what do you want?”

 

“Got any soda?” She asked.

 

“Mountain Dew?” He asked and for a split millisecond he saw pure joy on her face.

 

“Sure” She replied with a light shrug.

 

Grabbing the can of soda out of his fridge he handed the can to her as he walked over to the coffee maker and poured himself another cup full.  He added the sugar and then turned around while Nadia followed him.  They walked back into the living room and took back their seats, AJ grabbing the remote as he sat down.

 

“So what’s next?” She asked.

 

“Ah, hmm.” He said thinking.  “Oh, the camera was upstairs and that’s where her and Kristin got ready, so she took a video just before she came downstairs.” 

 

“Who’s Kristin?” She asked as he un-paused the DVD.

 

“Kevin’s wife.” AJ told her.

 

“Oh right” She nodded as the video started.

 

The camera jostled and you could hear Chelsea grumble in the background.  “No jokes Mclean.” She replied as she appeared the he screen.  “I hate these damn things.” 

 

AJ chuckled and smiled.

 

Ok so it’s gonna be my turn to come down, I’m waiting on Kev, shocking he’s late getting up here.” She said rolling her eyes.  “Anyways I saw the camera and decided to say something.”

 

AJ smiled as he remembered the words he was about to hear again.

 

“This morning I was sitting on the bed and I started to remember being with my Dad, I started to remember how many times I laid on the mattress pretending to sleep and just letting my mind wonder to what this day would have been liked.”  She stopped.  “I never thought I’d ever see you again, I never thought I’d get to feel the warmth of your love again, the safety of being in your arms and being able to look into those amazing eyes of yours.”

 

AJ wiped his eyes. 

 

“One day my Dad was showing me a picture of you and him, it was like that saying, so close but yet so far and then another day these men come crashing into my room.  The next thing I know I’m in a hospital, I see Kevin walk by and all I could think of was how he could get me to you.  Then there you were saying my name and standing right in front of me.” She grabbed a tissue and cursed at the tears which might ruin her makeup. “You are my rock Alex, god knows where or what I would be like if I didn’t have you to get me through this.  Jerald and Tim always bitch about me not having a life with you but they are so wrong because I found it, you gave me my life back and for that I will be forever grateful.” The camera moved away from her face.

 

AJ frowned for a split second.

 

The camera showed their bedroom curtains, then they disappeared and the camera focused on the people in their backyard before scanning up along the mountains of Maui.  “She’s out there somewhere, I hope she can see this video one day and see something that we never got to see, two parents who want each other, need each other and love each other.”  There was a knock on the bedroom door, the camera turned back around and Chelsea came back on the screen.  “Bout damn time.” She scoffed into the camera lens.

 

AJ chuckled.

 

“Ok so he’s here I guess I’ll see you in a couple of seconds, I love you.” The camera moved around as she searched for the pause button and as the camera focused in and out on her dress she spoke.  “Damn it Kev how do you turn these damn things off.”

 

“Here it’s this button.” Kevin said off camera and then the video went dead.

 

“Jeez Chels.” AJ smirked shaking his head as he took a sip from his coffee.

 

“She really loves you.” Nadia said and AJ looked at her, shocked at first.  He had gotten caught up in Cheslea talking he almost forgot she was there. 

 

“Yeah she does, I’m very lucky, can’t believe…” He stopped.

 

“What?” Nadia asked.

 

“Nothing” AJ replied with a quick shake of his head.  He noticed Nadia was going to say something but then another video started.

 

“Hello Mrs. Mclean.” AJ’s voice broke from behind the camera and the video focused on Chelsea.

 

“Hello Mr. Mclean.” Chelsea smiled.

 

“Have I told you how beautiful you looked today.” He said as he pointed the camera at her.

 

“Oh about a million times.” Chelsea laughed.  “Must you film right now?”

 

“Yes” AJ replied.  “Blame your brother he was always filming us out on the road.”

 

“Yeah I saw his library.” Chelsea said as she quickly rolled her eyes.  “I like all the videos of you falling on your ass.”

 

“Hey those mic packs hurt; sometimes they’d pop up and slam into my spine.” AJ pouted.

 

“If you weren’t such a damn klutz…” Chelsea started to say.

 

“I am not a klutz.” AJ scoffed.

 

“Whatever, so far I’ve heard about all the times you would fall on stage, off stage, getting your foot ran over by a van…”

 

“Fans pushed me in front of it.” AJ said quickly.

 

“Pulling your quad and hamstring, busting your knee up, hmm am I missing anything?” She asked.

 

“Umm, nope pretty much covers it.” AJ replied the camera still pointed at her.

 

“And do I even need to mention how your baby toe looks like it…I can’t even explain what it looks like because you’ve cracked it off the corner of almost every table you come across.”  Chelsea told him.

 

“You diss me like that on our wedding night?” AJ gasped.

 

“It’s not dissing if it’s the truth.” Chelsea sang.

 

“It’s on.” AJ replied and then the camera shut off.

 

“So” Nadia said and he looked over.  “That’s where I get it from.”

 

“You’re clumsy?” AJ asked.

 

“See this?” Nadia said pointing to the light scar on her chin.  “Got this running into an end table when I was four, this…” She said pointing to a scar on her elbow.  “Got this cause I ran over a stick while trying to roller blade.”

 

AJ lightly laughed.

 

“And Chelsea must be pretty graceful since she was a Gymnast huh?” Nadia said.

 

“Yep” AJ nodded with a sigh. Another scene came on and this time they were in Italy.

 

“Where did you guys go cause that’s like a different room.” Nadia pointed out.

 

“That last one was at the Peninsula in Beverly Hills and then we went for our real honey moon in Italy a couple of days later.” AJ told her.

 

They were both distracted by Chelsea laughing and then both looked over at the TV.  This time it was Chelsea filming AJ as he did some really stupid goofball dance.  He looked over when he heard Nadia laughing, hearing them laugh together even though one was on TV made him smile and those feelings he got back in the hospital came rushing back to him.

 

Chapter 12 by VeeLynn
                                   Chapter 12

 

AJ sat at the kitchen island, the curtains along the big glass doors swayed as the gentle breeze outside blew in through the screen.  He took a sip of his coffee as he stared outside, his mind going back to the night before.  Nadia had fallen asleep after they had started watching the video of AJ’s first birthday after they had found Chelsea.  He woke her up and helped her to her room and after saying goodnight AJ went back downstairs and cleaned up. 

 

Now it was the next morning and Nadia was still sleeping when he woke up, so he came downstairs made a coffee and was soaking in the morning.  His thoughts from the night before still swirling around in his head but were interrupted by a knock on the door.  Setting down his mug he walked out of the kitchen, down the hallway and to the front door.  He looked out the peep whole and his whole body became tense and on guard when he saw Kevin and his brother Jerald on the other side.  Slowly he opened the door, only a couple of inches and looked out at them.

 

“What?” He asked staring right at Jerald.

 

“I want to see Nadia.” Jerald said not hiding his attitude.

 

“Well she’s sleeping.” AJ replied.  “Come back later.”

 

“You’ll be at the hospital later.” Kevin replied. 

 

“Exactly, come back later.” AJ said as he went to close the door but it was stopped.

 

“Man, don’t start shit.” He heard Kevin say as he looked out the opening of the door and saw Jerald stopping it from closing.

 

“I want to see Nadia.” Jerald replied.

 

“And I told you no.” AJ snapped.

 

“She’s family I have the right to see her.” Jerald replied with anger.

 

“And I’m her Father and I’m saying no.” AJ snapped back.

 

“Alex” Kevin sighed.

 

“No, he comes up here every fucking time starting stupid drama shit, he can’t just except things the way they are, he can’t except the fact that Chelsea is happy, and I’m not going to have him start shit with Nadia!” AJ snapped again.

 

“You can’t even take care of yourself how the hell you going to take care of a fourteen year old girl.” Jerald yelled.  “What is that girl going to do when you decide to go out drinking again, when you decide life is getting to damn hard!”

 

“Fuck off Jerald.” AJ mumbled.

 

“Yeah, yeah truth hurts doesn’t it Mclean.” Jerald scoffed back.  “Let me guess it’s different this time? Different like it was when we found Chelsea, you said then you would never hurt her and you did…”

 

“One fucking time, one fucking time I fell from the wagon!” AJ snapped as he opened the door wider.  “You don’t’ know me, you don’t know what we’ve been through, fuck Jerald you don’t even know Chelsea anymore because you’re so blinded with your hatred of me you can’t see past your god damn nose!” AJ yelled. “You weren’t there to console her when you would show up, attack me, attack her and then leave.  You weren’t here to see her cry because someone she saw as a brother made her life, her wedding planning, or anything good that happened in her life a living hell because they weren’t happy with the way shit turned out.”

 

“Alex” Kevin said quietly.

 

“No fuck, I’m not done.” AJ snapped quickly.  “I’m sorry I’m not as saint like as you, I’m sorry I never had a Dad who gave a shit about me, I’m sorry I hurt Chelsea when I started drinking again, I’m sorry I wasted all those weeks going out to bars and hotels when I could have been at home with her but the only one I need to apologize to is Chelsea, not Tim, not Kevin and certainly not you!!” AJ yelled.  “I lo…”

 

Kevin interrupted him. “Alex.” He said again but AJ didn’t flinch.

 

“No, let me say what I have to fucking say, he can show up at my house and attack me, he can show up at the hospital and attack me but I can’t say shit to him.” AJ snapped at Kevin and then looked back at Jerald.  “I love Chelsea with everything I am, I loved her when we were sixteen/seventeen and I love her just as much even more now! And I love that girl upstairs more than you will ever know, she is so much her Mother as she is me and I will protect her with every last breath I have.  You have no right to her especially after all the shit you put Chelsea through, a woman who is supposed to be a sister to you.  Until you show me that you can keep your hate for me, your fucking attitude in check and act civil around me, don’t ever come knocking on my fucking door again!” AJ yelled and slammed the door close.

 

“God damn fucking people always trying to tell me how to live my fucking life.” AJ snapped as he spun around and then stopped dead.  “Nadia.” He choked out as he saw her standing at the bottom of the stairs.  She stared at him for a minute and then took off back up the stairs.  “Nadia wait!” AJ shouted after her as he flew up the stairs, skipping steps trying to get to her quicker.  But as he reached the top of the stairs her saw her door slam shut.  He walked over to it and knocked.

 

“Nadia?” He called through the door.

 

“Go away!” Nadia shot back from behind the door.

 

“I’m sorry if I upset you, it’s just Jerald…”

 

Nadia interrupted him.  “GO AWAY!!” She screamed and AJ closed his eyes resting his head against the door.  He stood there for a moment angry at himself and angry at Jerald.  When the door didn’t open he sighed and walked down the hall to his bedroom.

 

Flopping his body down onto the side of the bed he grunted with anger and frustration, he looked up as he took a deep breath and then he eyes fell to the bathroom door.  His eyes etched in pain as he heard the echo of him shouting at Chelsea to open her eyes, then everything from that day came rushing back and he broke down as he looked away.  Putting his head in his hands he started to cry.  Keeping it together for Nadia was hard and he thought watching the video’s last night would help but he wondered if it made it worse.  Wanting to hold her, wanting to hear her laugh again, feel her lips against his again, and see her blue eyes looking back at him.  He could feel someone watching him, looking at him, he knew it was Nadia but he was to upset to even look at her right now. 

 

“I’m sorry” Nadia’s voice spoke up.  “I’m not really good with confrontation and yelling and all that stuff.  I like shut down and just don’t wanna deal with it.”

 

He wiped his eyes on his sleeve and sniffed with a light smile.  “Just like Chelsea.” AJ choked out.

 

“Yeah, after seeing that I kind of figured.” Nadia said as she walked over to him and sat beside him.

 

“I got a wee bit of a temper.” AJ replied as he started to calm down.

 

“Are you still drinking?” Nadia asked.

 

AJ answered her quickly and truthfully. “No, no I haven’t touched anything in weeks.  Jerald always throws that in my face, even if I hadn’t fallen off the wagon he’d still bring up my drinking years ago.”

 

“I guess it was bad huh?” Nadia said.

 

“Yeah, it’s kind of why I worry about you so much; I know what it’s like trying to find yourself when you’re young like that, wanting to know who you are and everything.  I can’t imagine what you’re going through finding out the person you thought was your parent isn’t.”

 

“Sometimes it’s confusing but I’m trying to look at the up side.” Nadia said and AJ looked at her. She spoke again with a shrug. “Like I said Helen and I never seemed to click, I thought it was me, maybe I did something wrong, maybe I wasn’t what she had wanted, wasn’t the daughter she wanted.  But now I know why we didn’t click and I have a chance to find out who I am, who I really am.  Like last night finding out I’m a klutz because of you.”

 

AJ lightly laughed.  “And your smarts you get that from Chelsea.”

 

“And you’ve made it easier.” Nadia said, it shocked AJ and he looked at her.  “You have.” She said with a nod.  “Not treating me like I’m some fragile china doll or getting all over protective of me, smothering me.”

 

“I’m glad you’ve given me a chance to be in your life, I want to be your Dad, I know Chelsea wants to your Mom, get the chance that was taken away from us.” AJ told her.

 

“Yeah” Nadia nodded.  “When they first told me that Helen wasn’t my Mom I thought you two had just given me up, like not wanted me but then I heard the whole story and talked to you and heard about Chelsea and everything she had been through.  I realized you guys did want me and after thinking my Mother…well Helen didn’t want me in the first place, that feels good.”

 

AJ smiled at her and then took a deep breath.  “Well did you wanna grab some breakfast and then go see Chelsea.”

 

“Yeah” Nadia nodded.

 

AJ stood up with Nadia and walked her to the door as he made sure his eyes were finally dry.  Then something happened that shook his world of a split second, Nadia turned around and hugged him, her arms wrapped around his waist and her head rested against his lower chest.  At first he hesitated and then wrapped his arms around her.  When she let go he watched her walk down the hall into her room, the door closing behind her. Slowly a small smile crept across his face. That felt good.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 13 by VeeLynn
                                    Chapter 13

 

 

 

Man he needed to talk to Chelsea.  Was he doing this right? Should he be her friend or be a parent?  Why can’t you be an even balance of both and where exactly was that balance?  Closing his eyes as he shut the door and he tried to get focus.  “You have to be doing something right.” He told himself.  “She trusts you.”

 

They both got ready and met each other downstairs.  AJ decided something quick would do and drove to the nearest McDonalds.  “McDonalds?” Nadia asked and he looked over.

 

“Yeah” He replied with a smile and then he saw the look on her face.  “You don’t like McDonalds?”

 

“No” Nadia replied.

 

“Damn” AJ replied with a frown. “Well what do you like?”

 

“For breakfast, I like Bagels.” She replied.

 

“Bagels, ok” He nodded as he drove around the drive-thru and headed away from the restaurant.

 

“So when you had to answer those questions in the Teeny mags did you put McDonalds for your answer?” Nadia asked and AJ looked over at her.

 

“Are you mocking me?” He asked.

 

“What was pizza takin’?” She asked.

 

AJ looked away. “It is my favorite place to eat.  Everyone else would change their answers every couple of years but me it was always McDonalds.”

 

Nadia giggled.

 

“Wait a minute, you’re mocking what I do but you’re a fan of the Jo Bros and their Disney, forget a damn boy band.” AJ replied as he turned around a corner.

 

“So?” Nadia replied.

 

“Disney’s a cockroach.” AJ mumbled.  “Besides despite what the media and radio wants you to think were still around and we do just fine, so you know I’ll tell Nick Jonas you said hi the next time I see him.”

 

“Whatever” Nadia replied with a laugh as she rolled her eyes.

 

AJ stared at the road sitting at a red light.  “3, 2, 1” He thought to himself.

 

“You don’t really know them do you?” She asked.

 

“Am I friends with them no, but we do bump into each other.” AJ told her.  “There is a whole world out there Nadia, maybe we’re not big here anymore but we got fans all over the place, and we don’t get the record sales cause well no one get’s record sales anymore.  We’re not the only one who saw their sales drop over the past few years and considering we were touring and recording in a music era that wanted nothing to do with Pop music? We did pretty damn good.” He looked over at Nadia and her eyebrows were slighting raised and oddly he recognized that expression.  “Sorry, I get defensive about it.”

 

“I can tell.” Nadia replied.

 

“Well you’ll see soon enough.” AJ told her as he pulled into a bagel/coffee shop.

 

“I will?” She asked a little confused.

 

“Well things are on hold because of Chelsea but we’re almost done an album so we’ll be promoting and touring soon.” He told her.

 

“I can go with you?” She asked as she undid her belt.

 

“Yeah, well some places, most places but there are some area’s I won’t even take your Mom…I mean Chelsea.” AJ spoke correcting himself as he got out of the car and the walked around the front of the car.

 

“It’s ok” Nadia said as they walked towards the café doors.

 

“Huh?” AJ replied looking at her before grabbing the doors and pulling them open.

 

“That you said Mom instead of Chelsea.” Nadia said.  “I mean I don’t mind hearing it but it’s still a little weird saying it.”

 

“Alright.” AJ nodded. “And that’s fine.”

 

The two went to the counter and order the food. AJ paid and as they waited for their breakfast Nadia spoke up. “So how come you don’t take Chelsea to some places?”

 

“Huh, oh.” AJ replied as he looked at her.  “The fans are nuts, don’t get me wrong we love’em but in some places it’s a lot even with security so I don’t like her going there, the others feel the same way.” The woman behind the counter walked over with them and handed them their plates.  “Got my earring ripped off again during the last tour.” AJ told her as they sat down.

 

“Again?” Nadia replied as she looked up at him.

 

“Yeah, see.” AJ said pointing to his ear.  “Had it ripped right from my ear by a fan, it hurt.  Luckily last time the earring broke before it did any damage.”

 

“Wow” Nadia replied as she looked down at her plate.  “Hmm” Nadia said as her eyebrows fell in thought.

 

“What?” AJ looked at her.  She didn’t say anything still lost in what ever had taken her mind.  “Nadia?” He spoke again after giving her a moment.

 

“They posted a video of them singing you on You Tube.” Nadia said finally speaking.

 

It took AJ a minute but then he realized she was talking about the Jonas Brothers.  “Yeah” He replied with a nod.

 

“I saw that and didn’t really know who you were so I looked at more videos on the sidebar and Helen came in.” She looked at AJ.  “She kind of freaked out and made me turn it off.  I just thought she didn’t like the music but now I don’t think that was it.”

 

Just then AJ’s phone beeped and he looked down at his pocket.  Pulling out the cell phone he looked at the screen and saw it was a text.  “Message from Kev.”

 

“Is it about Chelsea?” She asked.

 

“Maybe, more like apologizing for Jerald.” AJ sighed and he clicked on the message tab and it popped up.

 

“Get here now she’s waking up!!!!!!”

 

“Holy shit!” AJ blurted out enough for the few people around him to look at the two of them and enough to make Nadia jump.  He looked up at her unaware of the small scene he just made.  “She’s waking up; he says she’s waking up.” In a hurried state they gathered their belongings and rushed out of the store.

 

AJ walked down the busy hospital hallway with Nadia at his side as they made their way up to Chelsea’s room.  The elevator ride took for ever for him as he tapped his foot waiting for the doors to open.  When the bell rung and the lift stopped he looked down at Nadia he could tell she was nervous.  The doors opened and he walked out onto Chelsea’s floor but before he could even step foot towards her room an arm stopped him.

 

Quickly he looked wondering if it was Jerald ready for round two but to a bit of surprise it was Kevin.  “Hey is she awake yet?” AJ asked.

 

“Yeah” Kevin replied with a nod.

 

“She is.” AJ smiled and turned to walk to her room but again Kevin’s hand stopped him.  “What?”  Kevin looked at Nadia quickly and AJ followed his gaze.  “Kev, just tell me she deserves to know what’s going on with Chels too.”

 

“There’s memory loss.” Kevin told him.

 

“There’s wha…how much?” AJ asked.

 

“She thinks it’s 1994.” Kevin told him.  “She asked for her Mom and we didn’t realize we just thought she was groggy so we reminded her that her Mom wasn’t here anymore and she lost it.”  Kevin said and AJ could tell he was holding back tears.  “We got the doctor and he just got done with some quick tests.  Apparently she doesn’t have any memory past ninety-four.”

 

“I wanna see her.” AJ said as he started walking down the hall.

 

“Ya can’t man.” Kevin said from behind him.  “At least not yet.” AJ stopped and turned and looked at him.  “The doctor and Mom are in the room filling her in and he’s getting more questions from her, until we know whether or not she remembers you, you should stay out here.”

 

“Well you said ninety-four, so she’ll remember me.” AJ replied.

 

“The first time you two met was in September who knows when the last day or month she remembers is.” Kevin said.  “I told Mom I’d wait out here for you and come back when you got here.  Just wait here ok?”

 

AJ hesitated. “Ok.” He finally replied.

 

Kevin nodded and AJ watched his friend walk down the hall and into Chelsea’s room.  He didn’t know how to react; he was ecstatic she was awake but if she didn’t even know who he was.  Then he looked down to Nadia and there would be no why she would remember Nadia.  AJ frowned at the look on her face; it was a look that told him Nadia knew she wouldn’t be remembered either.

 

“You need to talk?” AJ asked her.

 

“No, not really.” She replied looking at the ground.  “It’s good that she woke up right?”

 

“Right” AJ nodded. “And it looks like they don’t know how long it could last so it could be just from being in a coma.”

 

“Yeah” Nadia nodded. 

 

“Well let’s go sit outside her room.” AJ said after an odd moment of silence and Nadia nodded.  They walked down the hall together and took a seat in the same chairs they had sat in too talk to each other a day ago. The both of them stayed quiet as they sat and waited, well AJ wasn’t too quiet if you count the tapping of his nails on the arm chair.  A while later Kevin, Anne and the Doctor walked out of the room.

 

“This is Chelsea’s husband.” Kevin said as he motioned to AJ.

 

“Hello Mr. Mclean.” The Doctor extending his hand for AJ to shook it. “I’m Chelsea’s Neuro Doctor.”

            AJ stood up and shook the man’s hand and waited nervously.  “Kevin said he explained a little bit about what’s going on?” 

 

“Yeah” AJ nodded.

 

“Ok, well it does seem she only remembers up to the year of 1994 but she does remember you.” The Doctor told him and the grip on AJ’s heart let go.  “But for some reason she won’t elaborate other than she knows you through him.”

 

“Can I see her?” AJ asked.  “Tell me about all the other stuff later just please let me see her right now.”

 

“Alright.” The Doctor nodded and AJ turned to Chelsea.

 

“Do you want to come?” He asked.

 

“No, you better go first.” Nadia said.

 

“You’ll be ok?” He asked and she nodded.  “Ok well if you need anything just ask Kevin to come get me.”

 

“Ok” She nodded again.  AJ looked at Anne and Kevin and then turned to the door.  Slowly he opened the door and began to walk in.  He saw her first sitting up in the bed, her hair hung down the side of her face.  She looked up at him, stared at him and it was then he realized how dark the room was.  Reaching up he took of his glasses and her eyes widened.  His body froze what should he say to her?

 

“Alex?” She spoke her voice dry and quiet.

 

“Yeah” He replied with a light nod.

 

“Wow” She spoke as she looked at little jarred.  “This is so weird”

 

“A little” AJ replied in agreement. 

 

“Do they know”? She asked.

 

“About?” AJ asked and then it hit him.  “Yeah, they know.”

 

“I thought they did but I wasn’t sure.” She replied and it was then he noticed she had her southern draw back.

 

“What all did they tell you?” He asked.

 

Chelsea paused and he saw the pain etch across her face.  “My Mom” She mumbled.  “What my Dad did and how I had only been found a couple of years ago.”

 

“Did they tell you about us?” He asked and she looked up at him.

 

“No” She said as she shook her head. 

 

Walking over to her bedside AJ sat down in the chair and slid it closer to her.  “We’re married.”

 

“We are?” She replied a little stunned. “Really?” 

 

“Yeah, we’ve been married almost a year now.”

 

“How long have we been together?” She asked.

 

“Well at first we were together for a year, we kept it quiet that whole time like we wanted too and when…” He paused.  “And when you disappeared we were still together.”  AJ looked down at the ring on his wedding finger.  “I thought I had lost you forever but then you came back and I promised myself I would never lose you again.”

 

When he heard Chelsea start to cry he looked up.  “Did I say something wrong, I-I’m sorry if I did.”

 

“No” She spoke with a cry.  “I’m just scared, I guess, all I can think of is how I want my Mom and she’s not here.” She said as she calmed a little.  “Everyone and everything looks so different and I feel different but I dunno it’s so confusing.”

           

            “I can’t even start to imagine sweetheart.”

 

She interrupted him.  “You still call me that”

 

“Of course I do” He replied with a light smile and he was glad she returned it even if it was for a moment.  “I was here for you before because you needed me and I’m right here for you again if you need me but if you don’t want me around, if you’re not comfortable with me being around, I get that too ok?”

 

Chelsea sat there for a minute and then her hand slid over to his.  Her fingers wrapped over his hand and he looked back to her.  She stared at the sheets covering her legs as a tear dripped down her cheek.  Chelsea didn’t say anything and he really didn’t need her too.  He just let her hold his hand as they sat in the hospital room.

 

Chapter 14 by VeeLynn
                                   Chapter 14

 

AJ sat quietly with Chelsea until a nurse came in and told her she needed some rest.  At first she didn’t want to and the nurse was kind of pushy but AJ was able to talk her into it, promising her he would stay until she fell asleep.  When he was sure she was resting AJ slipped his hand from hers and quietly left the room. He walked out into the hallway and saw Nadia still sitting in the chair by the door, Kevin was sitting in the other one.

 

“How is she?” Kevin asked as he stood up.

 

“Sleeping right now, nurses orders.” AJ told them.  “She’s scared and confused which is to be expected.”

 

“So she talked to you?” Kevin asked.

 

“Yeah” AJ nodded.  “I asked her what she knew so far and I told her that we were married, I told her if she needed me I would be there for her, if she didn’t than I would respect that too.”

 

“And?” Kevin asked.

 

“And…” AJ said a little annoyed.  “She told me she was scared and confused, she didn’t ask me to stay until the nurse told her she had to go to sleep.” AJ told them.  “I came out to check on Nadia.”

 

Are you hungry?” He asked her as he turned to her.

 

“No Kevin took me down to the caf.” She told him.

 

“I’m going to go see Mom.” Kevin said to AJ and then walked away from the two. He figured Kevin was giving them their space.

 

“Well it’s good she remembers you.” Nadia said as he went to look at her but then something caught the corner of his eye.  Jerald was standing at the end of the hall, Kevin talking to him and Anne beside him but he stared right at AJ. Then he broke away and walked down the hall towards them.  “Ah Christ.” AJ moaned as he looked away.

 

“Go back into her room.” Nadia said quickly.

 

“And leave you here, no.” AJ replied.

 

“You’re not going to tell her about Nadia are you?” Jerald asked. 

 

“Uh, what?” AJ replied confused and pissed at the same time.

 

“She thinks she’s sixteen you think she can handle it?” Jerald said to him and AJ was surprised he was some what calm.

 

“She seemed to handle it fine, locked up by her dad and finding out. I think she’s able to handle finding out even with the memory loss.” AJ said as he looked at Kevin letting him know he wasn’t impressed.

 

“I don’t think it’s a good idea, we should see what the Doctor says.” Jerald snipped.

 

“You don’t even listen to them anyways. AJ snapped back.  “Dr. Adenhall, remember him Jerald?”  The eldest Richardson stayed quiet. “Chelsea’s second Doctor, the one that told everyone the best thing for her was for her to stick with me, the one that said I would be able to get her to trust again, make her feel safe again so she could get better.”  AJ paused and then continued.  “And what happened?  You ignored everything he said, you even got a subpoena against her to make her come back while on tour with me, you kept ripping me away from her, when her Doctor said that was the last thing any of us should have done.”

 

Everyone was silent but AJ had to get one last comment in. “And you want me to pay attention to anything you say right now?”

 

“Mom!” They heard someone shout from behind the door to Chelsea’s room. “Mom!!”

 

Everyone went running into the room to find Chelsea sitting up in her bed crying.  AJ was the first to reach her beside.  “Chels?”

 

She looked at him confused and then looked at everyone else who were looking at her. “Oh, I thought that I was dreaming she was gone.” She spoke in a whisper.

 

“No hun, I’m sorry, it’s not a dream.” AJ told her as he sat down beside her.

 

“We’ll take you to see her when you get back to Kentucky.” Jerald spoke up, AJ’s head snapped towards him and then he looked at Kevin who stood there with his eyes closed, like Jerald had just exposed a secret.

 

“Kentucky?” AJ said as he looked at Jerald and then Kevin again.

 

“Well you don’t think she’s staying with you?” Jerald replied.  “She thinks she’s sixteen, she’s not going to be acting like a wife she needs her family.”

 

“I am her family.” AJ snapped with as much control as he could.

 

“Really?” Jerald replied sarcastically and then the two began to bicker.

 

“Stop” Chelsea spoke up and everyone looked at her.  “Why are you guys fighting?”

 

“I just want what is best for you unlike some people.” Jerald said as he looked at AJ.

 

Then someone started cracking up laughing at first they were confused especially with the sarcastic tone it took.  AJ knew who’s laugh it was and he looked past everyone to Nadia standing out in the hallway.  When she realized everyone was looking at her she stopped.

 

“Could have fooled me.” She mumbled before looking down at the ground.

 

“Excuse me?” Jerald replied confused and then looked at AJ.  “What the hell have you been telling her?” He demanded.

 

“Noth…” AJ was about to say nothing but Nadia cut him off.

 

“Nothing.” She spoke for him.  “I saw the fight you two had this morning, and I was right there when you yelled at him again just now in the hallway.  You don’t care about her; you just hate him so much you’ll do whatever it takes to get him to get pissed off and like snap.”

 

“It’s ok.” AJ said but inside he was proud of her, even if she did swear.

 

“Jerald outside.” Kevin said as he grabbed his brother’s arm and practically dragged the man out into the hallway.

 

“I hate not knowing what’s going on.” Chelsea sighed as the room started to clear out.

 

“Jerald’s not happy about us.” AJ told her.  “I really don’t know why he’s so against it but he has a serious hate on for everything we do.”

 

“Alex?” He heard Anne say and he looked up.  Her head was poking around the door.  “I’m going to get a coffee, did you want one?”

 

“Please.” AJ replied.

 

“I’ll take her with me ok?” She told him.

 

AJ nodded.  “Ok.”

 

“Y-You have a daughter?” Chelsea said as the door closed.  “I-I mean I guess I was gone for a while and everything.” AJ looked at her, his words wouldn’t come out; he just didn’t know what to say. “I just kind of figured cause she looks like you and all.” Still his words wouldn’t come out.  “I hate this, was it like this when they found me? I don’t know what’s going on anymore, I’m so lost…and…” She started crying again.

 

AJ took her hand and she looked at him as she wiped her eyes.  “Chelsea, that girl outside is our little girl, she’s our daughter.”

 

“Wha…” Chelsea replied shocked.  “B-but she looks like she’s twelve or something.”

 

“Fourteen actually.” AJ replied.  “You didn’t know…” He paused forcing the words out of his mouth.  “You didn’t know when your Dad took you that you were pregnant.  You started to get sick and showed other signs of pregnancy while you were being held captive by your Dad.”  He paused again letting his words sink in for her.  “When she was born you had her for a couple of days but then your Dad and some nurse he paid off took her from you, it hurt you so much you blocked it out.  When we found you, you started having these really bad headaches, I took you to see some specialist and they couldn’t find out what was wrong.  One doctor said it might have been memory suppression, of course I thought the worse...”

 

“Nadia…” Chelsea said her voice in a soft whisper.  AJ stopped and thought back, he wasn’t sure if he said her name yet. Then he thought back to the argument just moments ago and no one said her name then.  Her breathing quickened as she stared at the door and wall in front of her, her expression was blank, and she looked like she was in another world.

 

“Chels, you ok?” AJ asked wondering if he should get up and get the Doctor.

 

Then slowly her head turned and looked at him. Her eyes glossed over with tears and his heart started to race.  “You found her.” AJ inhaled sharply and his body went numb for a split second. Chelsea looked back at the door and then back at AJ.

 

“You…You remember?” AJ blurted out.

 

“Alex…” Chelsea spoke as her face fell with a little panic but most of all it showed longing.

 

“I’ll go get her right now.” AJ told her as he stood up and quickly walked out of the room.  With a slight skip in his step he hurriedly walked down the hallway to the waiting room.

 

“Anne back yet?” AJ said to everyone as he entered through the open door.  Not caring that Kevin and Jerald were still yelling at each other, or that Howie, Brian and Nick had shown up.

 

“What?” Brian asked as Kevin and his brother stopped yelling.

 

“I’m right here.” Anne said as she walked into the room from the other door and handed him his coffee.

 

“Nadia come with me.” AJ said motioning for her to follow him.

 

“You told her didn’t you?!” Jerald snapped.  AJ didn’t even look at him as he waited for Nadia but he replied anyways.

 

“I didn’t have to.” AJ said still looking at his daughter but with a soft smile.

 

“Huh?” The other replied.

 

“What do you mean?” Nadia asked.

 

“I started to tell her but before I got a chance to even say your name she said it, and then she kind of zoned out, she wants to see you.” AJ told her.

 

“She remembers?” Anne said hopeful.

 

“I don’t know how much she remembers but she remembers Nadia.” AJ said as he looked back at his daughter.

 

“I’ll go get the Doctor.” Kevin replied.

 

“Just ask him to give us a few, ok?” AJ told him.

 

“Of course man.” Kevin replied.

 

“Ready?” AJ asked Nadia and she nodded.

 

“You should wait for the Doctor.” Jerald said but AJ didn’t care he was already walking down the hall towards Chelsea’s room as he walked Nadia down to meet her.

 

Chapter 15 by VeeLynn
                                    Chapter 15

 

“What should I say to her? What if she starts crying?” She asked as they approached the door.

 

“I’ll be there to try and help her stay calm but if it’s too much you can leave, I’ll talk to her.” AJ said. “I’m going to go in first since she’s had some time to sit on it and see what all she has remembered than I’ll come get you ok?” He said as he stopped at Chelsea’s door.

 

“Ok” Nadia replied with a nod as she stopped beside him.

 

AJ opened the door to her room and walked in as he turned around from close the door he saw her staring at him.  “Where is she?”

 

“She’s outside the door I just wanna talk to you for a second.” AJ told her as he walked to her bedside.

 

“Alex.” Chelsea replied with a small plea to her voice.

 

“I know sweetheart but I wanna fill you in on what happened.” AJ said.  “Plus I wanna know what you remember?”

 

“I remember her.” Chelsea said as she looked to the door.

 

“Is that it?” AJ asked.

 

Chelsea took a deep breath.  “I remember us, I remember my Dad.” She paused.  “I remember my Mom. Some things are still fuggy, I know pieces are missing.” Then without hesitation she spoke again.  “Is she ok, is she mad at us? When did you find her?”

 

AJ smiled lightly.  “She’s doing ok right now, I think, no she’s not mad at us.  Well at first she was mad at me when I met her in Vegas.”

 

“Vegas?” Chelsea asked.

 

AJ took a deep breath.  “The day you fell, in the bathroom. The reason why I wasn’t home was because I went to get you flowers and tell you that the Detective had called.  He told me she was alive and they had a good lead on her, they were told by some family members she might have been in Vegas with Helen.” AJ told her as he sat on the side of the bed facing her.  “So I went to get you flowers and tell you the good news.” He stopped looked down at his fingers picking at each other and frowned.  “When I came back I heard the shower going so I brought the flowers up to you and that’s when I found you on the floor.”

 

Her hand touched the side of his face and he looked up at her.  “Alex” She spoke in a sympathetic tone.  It made his eyes well up with tears but he fought it back, he couldn’t break down yet, there was too much to do.  He needed to be strong for her and for Nadia, they needed him now. 

 

“We’ve had time to talk and even bond a little, she’s still a little uncomfortable with something’s but she seems to be doing ok.” He told her.

 

“Where is she?” Chelsea asked.

 

“Outside the room, I wanted to see how you were doing and everything. She’s nervous.”

 

Chelsea sighed.  “I don’t blame her.”

 

“Want me to go get her now?” He asked.

 

She looked at him and then at the door, took a deep breath and spoke. “Yeah”

 

AJ lightly smiled and stood up, he walked over to the door and opened it and when he looked out he saw Nadia sitting in the chair by the door.  “Ready?” He asked and she nodded.

 

Nadia stood up and he stepped back letting her walk into the room.  Grabbing the door handle was it started to close he made sure he kept an eye on both of them.  He watched for a moment as the two of them stared at each other, Nadia standing close to the end of the bed and Chelsea looked calm but AJ could see in her eyes she was ready to crack.

 

He walked up to Nadia and she looked up at him.  “She says she remembers a lot, she remembers what happened and you, but there are still some pieces missing.”

 

“Hi” Nadia said to Chelsea as she looked at her.

 

It took Chelsea a minute but she finally spoke.  “Hi” Then there was a long pause until Chelsea spoke again.  “How are you doing?”

 

“I’m ok” Nadia replied.  “Are you ok?”

 

AJ looked at Chelsea and he saw a little shock come across her face.  “Yeah” She nodded and then the room became quiet, until a knock at the door broke the silence.

 

Everyone looked towards the door as it opened and Chelsea’s Doctor came in.  He greeted everyone and took a seat beside Chelsea.  AJ noticed Nadia was fidgeting a little so he decided to take her out of the room while Chelsea and her Doctor talked.

 

“I’m going let Anne and Kevin know what’s going on.” AJ told Chelsea as he kissed her lightly on the forehead.

 

“Did you want to come?” He asked Nadia and she nodded, then he turned back to his wife.  “We’ll be right back ok?”

 

“Ok” Chelsea nodded.

 

The two left the room and began walking down the hall again.  He looked down at his daughter and searched for the words to say but he didn’t have to Nadia spoke first.  “She didn’t say much.”

 

“She’s probably not sure what to say.” AJ told her.

 

“I should have told her I wasn’t mad at her.” Nadia said.

 

“She asked me if you were and I told her no.” AJ replied as they reached the waiting room.

 

“So what’s up?” Kevin asked as they walked into the room.  “How did it go?”

 

“It went good; the Doctor came in so we’re just giving him a bit to check Chelsea out and stuff.” He replied. 

 

“Jerald left.” Kevin told him as he watched Nadia walk over to a chair and sit down.

 

“Thank god.” AJ sighed.

 

“So what does Chels remember?” Kevin asked as him and AJ sat down.

 

“She remembers what happened, Nadia, her Dad and Mom but she said there are pieces missing, what I’m not sure yet.” AJ said as he kept an eye on Nadia.

 

“So what happened to her, she just started to remember?” Kevin asked.

 

“I dunno it was weird, I guess she saw Nadia during the little fight in the room, she assumed Nadia was mine and asked me about her, so I figured I should tell her but before I could finish she said Nadia’s name and then kind of went into a daydream for a minute.  When I got her attention again all she wanted was to see Nadia.”  AJ told him.

 

“So how did that go?” Kevin asked.

 

“They said Hi that was about it.” AJ said with a light shrug.

 

The conversation ended there and AJ was glad, everyone had been asking him questions and dealing with Nadia and Chelsea, he finally had a moment to himself.  A moment with his thoughts about everything going on, a moment to realize his wife was awake, a moment to grasp what happen when she woke up and now a moment to enjoy the fact she remembered.  About fifteen minutes later Chelsea’s Doctor walked into the waiting room and filled everyone in on what was going on with Chelsea. 

 

“The memory loss seemed to have been temporary.” The Doctor told him.  “A side effect of the coma the best way I can explain it is, everything else in her woke up when she did, except her memory.  I asked her some simple memory questions like if she remembered her wedding day, she replied she did, I then asked her if she remembered what she wore, what her dress looked like but that she couldn’t remember.”  He looked at his chart and notes and then spoke again.  “It’s still to early to say what she will remember, the pieces could start falling in place, or they could never come back to her.  It’s still likely she could suffer from short term memory problems or even long term ones.  We’ll know more as the days go on.”

 

“So what happens now?” AJ asked.

 

“In about an hour we’ll take her down for a CAT scan and see what that shows us.” The Doctor told him.  “After that we’ll work on how her body is after being in the coma, what her mobility is like and check her reflexes those types of things.”

 

“When can she go home?” Anne asked.

 

“I would say at least a week from now depending on how the next couple of days go and there are no more major problems.” He told them and AJ was a little relieved to hear that.

 

“Well I’m going to go back down; did you guys wanna come and say Hi?” He asked.

 

“Yes.” Everyone replied with a nod and it kind of made AJ smile.

 

They all filed down the hallway; Nadia walked right beside him as they approached the door but when they did something took their attention away.  Yelling.  AJ looked at Kevin confused as his former band mate looked at him the same way.

 

“Is that Chelsea?” Anne asked in wonder.

 

“Get out!!!” They heard her yell.  “Get out of my room and get out of my fucking life, do you hear me, I want nothing, nothing to do with you ever again!”

 

AJ looked at Kevin and they both replied with the same answer. “Jerald.”

 

They both went for the door handle and who ever was the first one there opened it.  Everyone filed into the room and saw Jerald standing by Chelsea’s bed as she continued to yell at him.  “I can’t believe you came here and did that to Alex, after everything he had been through that night you showed up and start throwing punches!?!? If I could get out of this bed I would kick the ever loving hell out of you! I’m so sick of you coming around and messing with my life, it’s my life Jerald, my life!!  I am not the same person I was when you found me in Mexico and that is all because of Alex, not you, not Kevin, not Anne, it is because of Alex.”

 

“What the hell is going on?” AJ asked as he clenched his fist and stared at Kevin’s eldest brother.

 

“That’s what I would like to know.” Anne replied as she stepped up beside him.

 

“Jerald wants me to go back to Kentucky, like this sudden memory gain made me forget the little stint he pulled trying to get me to go earlier.” Chelsea told them.  “Then he proceeded to tell me about attacking Alex outside the hospital because he had to show what kind of person Alex is.”

 

“You don’t know what type of person AJ is, you don’t know him.” Kevin snapped at his brother.  “You’ve made that perfectly clear over the last couple of years, you think you know, but you have no idea, you really don’t.”

 

“I want what is best for Chelsea.” He repeated.

 

“Then get the fuck outta my room!” She yelled at him.  “Get out of my sight, my life, and anything else that has to do with me! That is what is best for me!” AJ ignored Jerald as he walked past him making his way out the door as AJ made his way to Chelsea’s bed side.

 

“Why, why why…” She said as she started to softly cry.  “Why can’t he just leave us alone?”

 

“I don’t know hun, I wish I did.” AJ told her as he sat on the side of her bed and she wrapped her arms around him.  Normally he would have been furious, Jerald coming in here and upsetting her like he did and he probably still was deep down inside but right now all that mattered was that he was holding her.

 

Chelsea pulled away when she had calmed down and he turned around to see who was left in the room.  He was a little surprised to see it was just Nadia and then he turned to look at Chelsea again.  “Well you don’t have to worry about him now, so I want you to stay calm ok, getting upset like this can’t be good for you.”

 

“I know” She mumbled.  “But when he told me about him attacking you outside the night I fell, I guess I just snapped. You don’t deserve to be treated the way he treats you.” Chelsea said.

 

“I thought you said you were the one with the temper.” Nadia spoke up and they both looked at her. “Cause you went off on him.”

 

“I usually don’t yell like that but like I said he just made me so mad.” Chelsea replied with a sigh.  She then looked at Nadia.  “So you’ve seen his temper already?”

 

“Yeah Jerald showed up at the house this morning and I caught the show.” Nadia replied.  “That’s why I laughed earlier, he doesn’t give up.”

 

“No, no he doesn’t.” AJ sighed. He then looked at Chelsea.  “She has my attitude.” He whispered to her.

 

“Lovely.” Chelsea replied jokingly.

 

“I don’t have an attitude.” Nadia said a little hurt.

 

“Need I remind you about Vegas already?” AJ replied.

 

Nadia raised her eyebrows.  “I had just found out about you guys, cut me some slack.”

 

“See” AJ said as he turned and looked at Chelsea.  His wife smiled with a light giggle.  It made him smile.

 

“She’s already laughing at me.” Nadia huffed.

 

“I’m sorry.” Chelsea replied and AJ could tell she was worried she might have upset Nadia.

 

“No, it’s fine.” Nadia replied.  “At least I know how to work a video camera.”

 

“Oh burn.” AJ said quickly with a laugh.

 

“Hey, not fare.” Chelsea gasped but AJ and Nadia were to busy laughing together to answer her.

 

Chapter 16 by VeeLynn
                                    Chapter 16

 

That night Chelsea insisted that AJ and Nadia go home to sleep.  Even though AJ was a little hesitant in leaving her, he knew the best thing for Nadia was a goodnights sleep in a bed.  So they said their goodbyes and left the hospital.  The two decided to stop for something to eat before they went home.  They talked about Chelsea, they talked about things to come and they talked about Jerald too.  The next day they woke up, got dressed, grabbed breakfast, and they did this day after day as they waited on word for Chelsea to be able to go home.  Sometimes they would take the time and sit at a restaurant, sometimes they went to the Bagel Shop and when they ate there they usually snuck something in for Chelsea.

 

Each day Chelsea worked through all the set backs of recovering from a coma.  The constant therapy both mental and physical, not being able to walk the first few days because of her weak stiff muscles, her reflexes were slow and it was like she was always a step behind.  Each day AJ and even Nadia were there for her, coaching her and helping her get through the pain and frustration but each day the three of them became closer and closer.  Nadia learned more about AJ, more about Chelsea and they learned more about Nadia.  What her favorite colours were, what type of music she liked, what dreams she had, and what she wanted from the future.  Each day they were becoming more of a family.

 

“What are you doing?” Nadia asked as she looked bewildered at AJ as he did some type of running man dance in Chelsea’s hospital room.

 

“It’s called the I’m the father dance.” AJ puffed a little.

 

“The what?” Nadia asked confused.

 

“Sometimes I wonder about you Mclean.” Chelsea sighed as she sat in her bed watching him.

 

“What? I can’t be happy about this?” He asked as he stopped dancing and held up the manila envelope in his hands.

 

“Isn’t it suppose to be the I’m not the father dance?” Nadia replied.

 

“Ugh!” AJ scoffed as he threw his hands up in the air. “I give up, both of you have no sense of humor.”

 

“We do, just not one that travels down the strange road yours does.” Chelsea replied as she skimmed over her magazine.  The top corner of AJ’s mouth curled a little and he shook his head as he sat down.

 

“Fine” He moaned almost sulking.

 

“So what happens now?” Nadia asked.

 

“It says we have to go to court next week and finalize the custody.” AJ told her as he looked down at the paper he had just pulled out from the envelope.

 

“Are you going to have time?” Chelsea asked.

 

“I’ll fit it in.” AJ replied.

 

“I hope I’m out of here by then.” Chelsea sighed.  “It’s been almost three weeks.”

 

“I know sweetheart and I wanna kick the doctors ass for saying you’d be out in a week but it took a bit for you to get walking.”

 

“Well excuse me.” Chelsea snapped and AJ and Nadia looked at each other.  It wasn’t the first time she had become snippy like that.  There was her complete freak out on Jerald not that it wasn’t warranted. There would be times she would become frustrated at how slow things were moving but they chalked it up to being stuck in the hospital and still dealing with everything.

 

When there was a knock at the door the three of them looked up and saw Kevin walk into the room.  “Hello” The tall dashing man said with a smile.

 

“Hi” Nadia replied as AJ stood up and started his little dance again.  “Awesome.” Nadia sighed as she rolled her eyes and shook her head.

 

“What are you doing?” Kevin asked as he stared at AJ.

 

“The I’m the father dance.” AJ replied as he handed him the paper.

 

“Test came back?” Kevin asked as he looked at Chelsea and then down at the paper.

 

“Yep.” Chelsea replied and then she looked at AJ.  “See Nadia that is why I want you to never, ever touch drugs.”

 

“Hey” AJ replied as he stopped dead and looked at his wife.  “That’s not fair.”

 

“Yeah Chels.” Kevin replied and then looked at Nadia. “He was like that before the drugs.”

 

“Hey!” AJ replied as his head whipped towards Kevin and Nadia, Chelsea and Kevin started laughing.

 

“Where’s Anne?” Chelsea asked.

 

“She went out with the baby and Kristin.”

 

“Ya know he’s not really a baby anymore.” AJ said as he sat down.

 

“He will always be a baby to me.” Kevin replied.

 

“Awesome, well at least you’ll have the money for therapy for him to deal with that.” AJ snorted.

 

“Shut up Mclean.” Kevin sighed as he shook his head.  “So I hear you guys start recording again next week.” Kevin said as he sat down in an empty chair beside Nadia.

 

“Yep” AJ nodded.  “Actually pretty psyched to get back into the studio.”

 

“When do you start the solo stuff up again?” Kevin asked.

 

“In a couple of weeks, I wanna make sure Chels gets home first.” AJ told him.

 

“Sounds like you’ll be busy.” Kevin said.

 

“Very” AJ nodded.  “But I can handle it.”  AJ looked at Kevin and saw the look on his face.  “I can handle it.” He repeated.

 

“Didn’t say anything.” Kevin replied.

 

“Didn’t have too.” AJ replied back.

 

“So does that mean I’ll get to go on tour soon?” Nadia asked.

 

“Yep” AJ replied

 

“No” Chelsea replied at the same time he did.

 

“No?” Both Nadia and AJ replied together.

 

“By the time the tour actually starts she’ll be in school.” Chelsea said.

 

“I can do school on the road.” Nadia replied and Chelsea looked at her with raised eyebrows.

 

“I dunno if I want you to be home schooled.” AJ said.

 

“You were.” Nadia spoke up.  “And Brian home schools Baylee.”

 

“We’ll think about it.” AJ replied and he quickly looked over to Chelsea who looked like she was about to object.  “Hey look at that.” He said as he looked down at his watch.  “It’s time for a walk.”

 

“Are we going to the courtyard out back?” Nadia asked as she stood up.

 

“You up for that?” AJ asked as he walked over to Chelsea’s bedside.

 

“Sure” Chelsea replied as she slowly got out of the bed. 

 

AJ helped her put her slippers on and helped her stand up as she steady herself on the cane she had to use which was a switch from the walker she had been using the last couple of weeks.  Kevin held the door opened as they made their way out into the hallway.  AJ walked beside Kevin as the two of them walked behind Nadia and Chelsea.  The two girls chatted as the boys walked quietly down the hall.  They all gathered in the elevator and took it downstairs.  When they reached the first floor everyone headed towards the back doors to the court yard.

 

“Mom wants you and Nadia to come over to my place for dinner tonight.” Kevin said as they walked outside.

 

“Cool” AJ nodded as he let the door close over behind him.

 

“She was wondering if Chelsea would be up to going to Kentucky.” Kevin said and AJ could tell by the tone in his voice he was unsure about the topic.

 

“I think Chelsea already answered your Brother on that topic.” AJ replied.

 

“I know, I know but she’s not coming at you guys like that, she just knows you’re going to be busy, and she’s worried about Chelsea being home alone.”  Kevin told him.

 

“She won’t be alone, Nadia will be there and most of the recording will be done in LA anyways so it’s not like I’ll be far.” AJ replied.

 

“But don’t you think it would be relaxing for her?” Kevin asked.

 

“Not when Jerald can show up any minute.” AJ replied.

 

“He does it now anyways.” Kevin said as AJ looked at him.

 

“I dunno dude, she’s been very testy, I think it’s just being stuck in the hospital and everything but I really don’t want to bring it up, I think she just wants to get home and relax there.” AJ replied with a small sigh.

 

“So, any word on Helen?” Kevin asked.

 

“She goes to court in a month.” AJ replied with a shrug.

 

“Has Nadia asked about her at all?” Kevin asked.

 

“Last week when we got the court notice on when her trial was, she asked questions about if she’s found guilty how long would she go away for.” AJ told him.  “She said she didn’t want to see her go to jail because Helen did help, god knows what would have happened to Nadia if she hadn’t ya know.”

 

“Yeah” Kevin nodded. 

 

“But she could have spoken up, she could have gone to someone and told them what was going on.” AJ replied.  “But she didn’t, she left Chelsea there.”

 

“Hey AJ?” Nadia spoke and both men looked over as she walked up to them.

 

“What’s up hun?” AJ asked.

 

“Chelsea’s crying.” Nadia said as she nodded over to Chelsea who was sitting on a bench.

 

AJ lightly smiled. “I’ll be right back.” He said as he stood up.

 

He walked down the path and walked up to his wife, sitting down beside her.  She looked over at him, her eyes soaked and red and then looked away again.  “What’s wrong sweetheart?” He asked in a calm, worried tone, even though he kind of already knew; she wanted to go home.

 

“Nothing” She replied but made no effort to wipe her tears away or calm her crying.

 

“Chels” AJ said as he lowered his head a little and looked over his sun glasses at her.

 

“What does it matter anyways?” She replied.

 

“You’re upset, it matters a lot to me.” AJ said as he put his hand gently on her back.

 

“It’s just everything.” Chelsea replied after a minute of silence. 

 

“Everything?” AJ replied.

 

Chelsea nodded.  “I just went for a shower, I went to close the door and that was it, my whole life gets flipped upside down.  I’m stuck in a hospital, I can barely walk, I don’t remember what my wedding dress looked like, I don’t remember things about us that kept me going when I was with my Dad, and it’s just not fair.  I want my life back.”

 

“You worked so hard to get the life you wanted after Mexico, you didn’t let anyone tell you what was best for you and you knew what you wanted.  I’m telling you right now, you haven’t lost that life, it’s still right here hoping to make you smile cause it hates seeing you cry.” AJ said as he brushed her bangs behind her ear.  A small smile broke from the corner of her lip and then the sound of a girl laughing made them both look behind AJ.

 

They saw Kevin bobbing his head to the left, he was singing something, they couldn’t make out what he was saying but what ever it was had Nadia cracking up laughing.  AJ looked back at Chelsea and she was still softly smiling.  When her eyes made contact with his he smiled.  “She’s pretty amazing.”

 

“Yeah” Chelsea replied with a nod.  “That’s one thing I’m thankful for.” Chelsea said and AJ looked at her a little confused.  “That I still remember the night she was born.  I remember what she looked like when Helen gave her to me.”

 

“I’m glad.” AJ replied as he took her hand but he felt himself getting a little saddened by the thought that he wasn’t there to share in that moment, to see his daughter being born.  “Well…” AJ said pushing it away.  “If you ask me, your life is better after you woke up.”

 

Chelsea looked at him for a minute and then smiled again.  “Because we have her.”  He kissed the back of her hand and then nodded.

 

“Come on, we should get back inside. They’ll be bringing you your dinner soon.”He said as he helped her stand up.

 

“Yay” Chelsea replied in a very non excited tone.

 

“Anne wants Nadia and me to go over to Kevin’s for dinner, we’ll sneak you something.” AJ told her as she steady herself on the cane.

 

“You better.” She replied as she wrapped her arm through his and they started walking towards Kevin and Nadia.

Chapter 17 by VeeLynn
                                   Chapter 17

 

Chelsea looked around the room that she had stayed in for almost a month, she looked at the monitors, the machines, and the furniture that cluttered the room.  Now there was more clutter, her bags.  When the door to her room opened she looked up and smiled as she saw Kevin walk in.  Chelsea had gotten the ok from her Doctor to go home and she wanted to surprise AJ and Nadia.  Being able to talk AJ into staying at the house for a little bit, telling him maybe it would be good for Nadia to just relax at home or go out to do something besides the hospital.  She then called her brother and asked him to come get her.

 

“So, you’re really going home.” Kevin replied when he saw her bags all ready to go.

 

“Yep, just have to stop by the nurse’s station and grab my release papers.” Chelsea told him.

 

“So how did you get AJ and Nadia to stay home?” Kevin asked as he picked up her bags.

 

“Told Alex I wanted Nadia to have a day away from the hospital, just for her to have some fun time.” Chelsea explained as she grabbed her cane.

 

“You need help?” Kevin asked.

 

“No, I got it.” She replied with a light smile as he opened the door.

 

The two walked down the hall towards the nurses station, when they got there the one nurse had Chelsea’s papers all ready to go.  With a relieved and bright smile Chelsea took them and then the two headed towards the elevators.  They stood quietly as they waited for the lift to come and pick them up, they stood quietly as it brought them down to the first floor and they were quiet all the way out to Kevin’s car.  He opened the door for her and helped her get inside; she was glad to see he had brought the SUV and found it easier to get into than a car.  When the door closed she closed her eyes and sighed.  Finally she was going home, out of the hospital and soon back to where things were normal, well as normal as they could be living with AJ.

 

“So what are you going to do if they aren’t home when we get there?” Kevin asked.

 

“I’ll just wait, just hope they don’t decide to pop in if they are out.” She replied as she lifted her head and looked at him.  “Have you heard from Jerald?”

 

“No he’s not answering my calls.” Kevin said as he pulled out of the parking lot.  “I take it you still haven’t told AJ.”

 

“No” Chelsea replied quickly.  “He’ll lose it, I know he would and I don’t even know if Jerald is actually going to do what he told me he was going to do.”

 

“Maybe I should talk to Mom tell her, he’d talk to her I’m sure.” Kevin replied as he quickly looked over at her.

 

“Jerald hasn’t listened to your Mom this whole time, what makes you think he’ll do it now?” She sighed.  “I swear if he lawyers up and comes after Nadia I’ll kill him myself.”

 

“You’re worried.”

 

“Yes I’m worried, the way courts are these days, he does have a point, I mean there’s AJ’s drinking and then they’ll look at me, someone who’s just getting out of a coma and can barely look after herself let alone a fifteen year old girl.”  Chelsea spoke but the more she thought about it the more worked up she got.

 

She figured Kevin could see it by his next comment.  “Well we’ll worry about it if it happens right now; just enjoy being home with your family.”

 

Her family, a family on the verge of getting ripped apart by someone who is supposed to care about her and there is no one she could really talk to about it.  She didn’t dare tell AJ because he might go off the deep end, like she said to Kevin, he would lose it.  Even she was about to lose it, it was always on her mind in the hospital, ever since that fight she had with Jerald in her room.

 

You can’t take care of her alone Chels and if you can’t see that I’ll make you see it.” Jeralds voice played over in her head.  “I’ll take both of you to court and we’ll let them decide what’s better for Nadia.

 

She would wonder if today would be the day someone showed up at the house and informed AJ that Jerald wanted to go for custody of Nadia until it was deemed that Chelsea and AJ were fit enough to take care of her.  It wasn’t like she was some drug addicted mother who left her child in dirty diapers all day long; she had a terrible accident and if anything needed Nadia there to help her get better.  She would sit alone in her bed wondering if today would be the day AJ would come busting into the room screaming about Jerald’s plan. Sometimes she would get herself so worked up she would snap at AJ or snap about something that was going on when normally it wouldn’t bother her at all.

 

“Car is in the drive way.” Kevin said and she looked up out the front window.

 

Kevin parked the car and shut it off and Chelsea waited for him to get out.  As he made his way around to the passenger door she saw the front door open.  Taking a deep breath she gripped her cane and waited for the passenger door to open.  When it did Kevin was right there helping her out of the SUV. 

 

“What the hell are you doing here?” AJ asked as he walked around the car.

 

“Oh well I can go back if you don’t want me here.” Chelsea replied with a smirk.

 

“Ye-ah right.” AJ replied as he took her arm and began walking her to the front door.  “So what are you doing here?” He asked again and it made her giggle.

 

“The Doctor told me I could go home today; I wanted to surprise you so I called Kevin to come get me.” She said as Nadia came out of the front door.

 

“You’re home?” Nadia asked as she walked up to the two of them.

 

“I’m home.” Chelsea smiled and to her surprise Nadia wrapped her arms around her and hugged her.  She looked up at AJ and he gave her a light smile, when Nadia pulled away they both walked into the house.

 

Chelsea sat on the couch as she watched AJ, Kevin and Nadia talk about what Chelsea was like when she was younger.  They talked about the dirt biking in behind the house, the times she would bother the brothers in their boys’ only Tree house and then the topic turned to Jerald, Kevin stating that Jerald wasn’t always such a big ass.  She thought back to that time as well and then her mind remembers the conversation she had with Jerald the night she woke up.  How, how could he do this to her, to her family, this was beyond caring about her, wanting what was best for her, how could ripping her family apart be best for her?  She ran scenarios in her head, them fighting Jerald for custody, AJ’s past being brought up, the recent slip up and the guilt he would go through if Jerald won because of it. 

 

Take Nadia and go live with Mom, you can’t worry about him getting drunk, or being out all night, you need someone to help you until you get better, and then by then you will see you can do it on your own, you don’t need him.” Jeralds voice replayed in her head.

 

“Chels?” AJ’s voice said and it broke her from her thoughts.

 

“Huh?” She replied clueless to what was going on around her.

 

“Kev’s leaving.” He told her and she looked up at the youngest Richardson boy.

 

“Ok” She replied and she caught the frown that came over Kev’s face, she knew, he knew what she was thinking about. Chelsea hugged him and then stayed on the couch as AJ walked Kevin to the front door.

 

“Chelsea are you ok?” Nadia asked her and she looked at her daughter.

 

“Yeah, I’m fine, just a little tired I guess. Tell your…tell AJ I went to lie down.” She told Nadia as she stood up from the couch.

 

“Do you need help up the stairs maybe you should wait for him?” Nadia replied.

 

“No!” Chelsea snapped and then she took a deep breath.  “No, I can do it.”

 

She walked up the stairs one step at a time and made her way to the bedroom.  It was the first time she stepped foot inside the room since her accident.  Her eyes drifted over to the bathroom door and her mind replayed that afternoon.  Getting up from bed, wrapping herself in her robe and walking towards the bathroom, very innocent but in a flash her whole life had changed.  Closing her eyes Chelsea sat down on the edge of the bed and replayed Jerald’s words.  That’s when she started crying, the helplessness, the anger and the frustration building up inside of her and busting out all together.

 

“Chels?” She heard his voice say and she looked up seeing her husband standing at the door.  “Hey sweetheart what’s wrong?” He asked as he made his way over to her.

 

“I’m just tired.” She said hoping he would just leave it at that and go away.

 

“Those aren’t tired tears.” He replied and she knew he wouldn’t.

 

“I’m fine Alex really, I just need to lie down.” Chelsea said as she started to slid under her blankets.

 

“Are you sure?” He asked.

 

“Yes damn it I’m sure!” She snapped and she saw the look on his face.

 

“Alright” He replied and then stood up. “If you need anything I’ll be downstairs.”

 

When he closed the door, Chelsea laid down on her side and closed her eyes.  She didn’t want to snap at him, she didn’t want to be up here, she wanted to be down with her family, getting to know her daughter but she couldn’t.  Chelsea knows Jerald, she knew he would go after them, that he wasn’t just blowing smoke, she knew that if it did happen and Jerald won, he would never let AJ see Nadia.  She started crying as she realized what she would have to do, so she could keep Nadia, so Alex could see his daughter.  She needed to protect her family at all cost, even if it meant she had to let one of them go.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 18 by VeeLynn
                                   Chapter 18

 

            AJ drove his car off of the highway, taking the exit that lead to his house.  He had just finished a recording session with the guys and was looking forward to getting home, to Chelsea and to Nadia.  He wondered what the two did today, hang out by the pool, hang out around the house, maybe even watched some movies.  It brought a smile to his face when he thought about the two of them.  Singing along to the song playing on the radio he tapped his fingers on his steering wheel, he thought about the court hearing.  Seeing Helen for the first time, feeling Chelsea tense up and grab his hand when she saw her.  Nadia was quiet for the whole trip, the judge took her into his chambers and talked to her about the situation.  They found out later through their lawyer that Nadia told the judge she wanted to stay with Chelsea and AJ that she felt connected to them, that she knew they were her parents and that living with them is what she wanted.  The judge announced that the McLean’s would get permanent custody of Nadia.  He told Helen that he would put in a good word for her with the judge that was handling her other charges but he told her it could have all been avoided if she would have come forward on behalf of Chelsea in the first place.

 

            When he arrived at his house he saw Nadia sitting on the front step and he honked his horn to get her attention, he didn’t care it was eight at night.  She looked up but then looked back down.  His eyes fell in confusion wondering what was bothering her.  Shutting the car off he got out and walked over to her.

 

“Hey kiddo what’s up?” He asked as he sat down beside her.

 

“You should go talk to Chelsea.” Nadia said not looking at him.  “And tell her I’m not going.”

 

“Going?” AJ said confused. “Going where?”

 

“Ask your Wife.” Nadia said as she stood up and turned to the door.

 

With great confusion AJ got up and followed Nadia into the house.  He watched as Nadia walked upstairs and then made his way down the hall.  Hearing voices coming from the kitchen he made his way there and stopped dead when he saw Jerald sitting in his kitchen.

 

“What the hell is going on?” AJ asked looking at Jerald and then to Chelsea.

 

“Nadia and her are going to Kentucky to stay with Mom.” Jerald piped up and he heard Chelsea sigh.

 

“Say what now?” AJ replied as he looked at his wife.

 

“Jerald you should go.” Chelsea said but AJ wasn’t having it.

 

“Oh no, tell me what the hell is going on?” AJ said his voice getting louder as Jerald got up to leave. 

 

Jerald turned around. “If you really want to know…”

 

But Chelsea interrupted him. “Jerald leave.”

 

AJ watched as Chelsea walked Jerald to the door and then closed it behind him.  When she turned around he stared at her and demanded answers.  “What the hell is going on Chels?”

 

“Nadia and I are going to Kentucky to stay for a while.” Chelsea told him.

 

“Ok and that’s fine but with Jerald here why do I think it’s more than that?” AJ replied.

 

“Nadia needs something stable and I…” She stopped and he stared at her.

 

“What?” AJ demanded.

 

“I don’t think you’re very stable right now.” She told him.  “With all the stress you’ve been under and the stress that is yet to come with finishing the record and touring I just can’t…” She stopped again.

 

“Can’t what?!” AJ yelled.

 

“I just can’t trust that you won’t go out and get drunk.” Chelsea replied sharply.

 

“Wow.” AJ said stunned. “I…I can’t believe you just said that to me, you sound like fucking Jerald.” Chelsea said nothing as she walked past him back into the kitchen. “What did he do Chelsea?”

 

“Nothing.” Chelsea replied.  “I just think with everything going on being in Kentucky will be good for me.”

 

“And what about me, what about Nadia?” AJ replied sharply.

 

“Nadia will like it there and you’ll be fine, you have the cd and touring to focus on and you won’t have to worry about me.” Chelsea told him.

 

“Chelsea.” AJ said his voice full of confusion, he reached for her hand but she pulled it away.

 

“I need to go pack, Jerald’s taking us to the airport in a couple of hours.” She said as she walked past him.

 

“Already?” AJ snapped.  “No…no, you’re not taking her away from me, this is stupid Chelsea.”

 

“I’m not taking her away from you, we are going to Kentucky, and you can come and see her anytime you want too.” Chelsea replied.

 

“I’m not going!” Nadia yelled from the top of the stairs. “I wanna stay here with AJ.”

 

“I’m sorry Nadia but you can’t and I told you why, he works long hours and then he’ll be touring.” Chelsea told her.

 

“How long are you planning on staying?” AJ asked realizing this could be more than just a visit.

 

“I…” She paused.  “I don’t know.” Chelsea replied.  “Now I need to get ready.”

 

“You don’t know!?” AJ shouted after her as she walked up the stairs.  “What the fuck you mean you don’t know?” She didn’t say anything.  “Chelsea answer me!” AJ shouted up the stairs.  “Chelsea!!” When the bedroom door closed he grunted in frustration and took off into his office.  Quickly he pulled up his lawyers’ number and dialed.

 

“Hi Sam its Alex Mclean, I have problem.” AJ said on his cell and he waited for his lawyer to answer.  “Chelsea wants to take Nadia to Kentucky and she’s making it sound like its permanent. So what do I do?”

 

The Lawyer spoke.  “I thought things were good between you too.”

 

“So did I.” AJ replied with a small hint of laughter.  “I don’t know what’s going on, all I know is that she’s taking Nadia to Kentucky in a couple of hours, is there anyway I can stop her?”

 

“There’s an injunction we can get but it’ll take a couple of days. If she does go to Kentucky than she’ll have to come back, then we’ll go to court and decide custody.” His lawyer told him.

 

AJ closed his eyes and sighed.  Had it really come to this, how did it come to this, what did he do and why was she acting like this.  “Do it.” He told his lawyer as he looked over at his office door opening.  He hung up his cell when he saw Nadia walking in.

 

“What’s going on?” Nadia asked. “Did you guys have a fight I don’t know about?”

 

“Darlin’ I wish I knew, no we didn’t have a fight everything was fine when I left this morning, I don’t know what’s gotten into her.” AJ replied.

 

“I don’t want to go.” Nadia told him.

 

“I know you don’t and I just got off the phone with my lawyer, I’m getting an injunction to stop this but it’ll take a couple of days.” He said as he walked over to her.

 

“But we’re leaving in a couple of hours.” Nadia replied and he saw the sadness in her eyes.

 

“I know but when the Injunction gets put through she will have to bring you back.” AJ told her.

 

“And then what?” Nadia asked.

 

“And then we’ll have to go back to court for custody.” AJ said still not believing it himself.  “Do you have your things packed?”

 

“No, I was hoping you’d be able to talk her out of it.” Nadia replied with a frown.

 

“I don’t think that’s happening.” AJ told her.  “Go pack, I’m going to go try and talk to her again.”

 

“When you get this Injunction I have to come back right?” Nadia asked.

 

“Yes” AJ replied with a nod.  With a sigh Nadia turned around, left the office and headed upstairs.  AJ was behind her and gave her a light smile as she walked into her room.  He then made his way to his room and opened the closed door.  When he walked in he saw Chelsea zipping up her bag.

 

“Chelsea, sweetheart, please tell me why you’re doing this?” AJ asked.

 

“I told you why.” She said quickly as she walked over to her dresser.

 

“So you’ve really lost that much trust in me?” AJ replied.

 

“Can you blame me? The way you were before I went into the hospital.” Chelsea said still not looking at him as she gathered some belongings.

 

“Damn Chelsea.” AJ said his heart broke that she would say something like that.  “Well then since you’ve turned into mega bitch I wanna let you know I called Sam, he’s putting in an Injunction against you and I’ll take you to court, we’ll let them decide just how unfit I am.” AJ told her as he stood up walked over to the door and then left the room.

 

“So?” Nadia said as she came flying out of her room.  AJ just shook his head and he watched as his daughter turned around and slammed her bedroom door.  He closed his eyes as the whirlwind of thoughts in his head became a breeze and it started to sink in what was going on.  Was this because of the accident? Was this some side effect of the coma? It all came out of left field and as he walked down the stairs to the first floor he began to cry.  All of a sudden he was losing his family, the one he wanted for so long was being ripped away from him and it was all because of Chelsea, the last person he thought would do anything like this.  He wasn’t sure which part hurt more.

 

When there was a knock at the door, he thought about not answering, not wanting to see Jerald standing on the other side doing his little I won happy dance.  After a couple of more knocks AJ sighed and walked over to his door. When he looked out the peep hole he was a little relived to see Kevin on the other side.  Quickly he opened it and stared at his friend.

 

“Dude, I got a serious problem.” AJ said with panic in his voice.

 

“I know” Kevin replied.  “Let me go talk to her.”

 

“Please” AJ said as his voice changed to a pleading tone.

 

AJ walked into the living room as Kevin walked upstairs.  He sat down on the couch and put his head in his hands and started crying again.  Praying with everything he had that Kevin could get her to change her mind, get her to open up about why she was doing this, and get her call the whole thing off.

 

 

 

Chapter 19 by VeeLynn
                              Chapter 19

 

“What the hell are you doing?” Kevin whispered angrily at her as he closed the door to her bedroom.

 

“I’m going to Kentucky.” Chelsea replied.

 

“No you’re not.” Kevin hissed and then he turned to the door.

 

“What are you doing?” Chelsea asked as she grabbed his arm stopping him.

 

“Telling AJ what Jerald said and putting a stop to this.” Kevin replied.

 

“No.” Chelsea said quickly.

 

“So you’re going to Kentucky and then what, divorce him?” Kevin asked.  “Cause that’s what Jerald wants, he won’t be happy with you going to Kentucky for a few weeks, he wants you and AJ apart.”

 

“I know” Chelsea replied.  “But Kevin if Jerald takes us to court and if he wins, he will never let Alex see Nadia.”

 

“You’re going to kill him Chelsea; everything he’s ever wanted is being ripped away from him.” Kevin replied his voice still an angry whisper. “And by you of all people!”

 

“Don’t you think I know that?! You think this is easy for me, but I have to do this, for Alex and Nadia.” Chelsea snapped back.

 

“Hey” Someone said as she got nudge.  She looked beside her and saw Jerald driving the car down the dirt Kentucky road.  “Where did you go?”

 

“Just thinking.” She replied. Looking over her shoulder she looked back to Nadia sitting in the backseat.  She was listening to her Ipod, staring out the window.

 

“I’m glad you decided to do this, you’re a Mom now and she comes first.” Jerald said as they turned onto Anne’s street.

 

“Yeah” Chelsea replied trying to crack a smile.

 

“Asshole.” She thought. It pissed her off he was acting like a kid in a toy store.  They had just found their daughter and because of him they were now split down the middle but did he care? No, he was acting like he had won a major battle.

 

When they pulled into the drive Chelsea unbuckled her seat belt and opened the door.  She looked over to the other side of the car and saw Nadia getting out.  When the front door to the house opened she smiled as she saw Anne coming out.

 

“Hi sweetheart.” Anne said as she hugged her.

 

“Hi” Chelsea replied trying to smile.

 

“Hi Nadia” Anne said as Nadia came around the car.  The girl didn’t say anything.

 

“Nadia say hi.” Chelsea told her but she couldn’t blame her for the way she was.

 

“Hi” Nadia replied not looking at anyone.

 

“Well get your things and come inside, it’s a little chilly tonight.” Anne said as she pointed towards the house.

 

Jerald grabbed the bags and Chelsea and Nadia walked into the house with Anne.  Chelsea looked around and felt a little better with the familiarity of the place.  It had been a while since she had been here and right now if she couldn’t be at home with Alex being here was the next best thing.

 

“Can I call AJ?” Nadia asked.

 

“You just got here.” Jerald replied.

 

“So?” Nadia snapped at him.

 

“Go ahead.” Chelsea said with a nod.  “There’s a phone in the kitchen.”

 

“I’ll show you.” Anne said as she walked Nadia towards the kitchen door.

 

“Why do you have to be such an ass to her, Alex is still her Father.” Chelsea snapped when the two disappeared into the kitchen.

 

“Unfortunately” Jerald sighed.

 

Chelsea gave him a snotty look and rolled her eyes.  “Tell Anne I’ll be in my room unpacking.”

 

She walked up the stairs and walked down to the room that was always given to her when she stayed.  Closing the door she placed her bag down and then flopped down onto her bed.  For the first time all day she was alone, alone with her thoughts on what she had just done.  She knew what was going to happen next and she put her hand over her mouth as she began to cry.  Muffling her tears she tried to push them away, tried to calm herself so no one would see just how upset she was but the words she said to him earlier in the bedroom kept taunting her.  Telling him she didn’t trust him, telling him she thought he would go out and get drunk, pulling her hand away when he reached for her.  She didn’t want to do any of it but she needed to act that way, she needed to let him go and making it her fault, having her be the one to end it all would be better for AJ in the long run. Holding her breath she forced herself to stop crying, she wiped her eyes and began to breathe slowly, calmingly and got control of herself.  Picking up her bag she put it on the bed and unzipped it.  She started pulling out the clothes and setting them in the dresser.  As she reached the bottom of the bag she heard yelling from downstairs. Taking a deep breath she stood up, not even needing to figure out who was yelling she knew.  Getting up off the bed she walked out of the room and headed downstairs to the kitchen.

 

“You had no right to do that!” Nadia yelled at Jerald.

 

“What’s going on?” Chelsea asked and the three people in the room looked at her.

 

“Jerald hung up on AJ.” Nadia snapped.

 

“What?” Chelsea said a little stunned.

 

“I was talking to him on the phone…”

 

“She was bad mouthing me.” Jerald replied.  “See he’s taught her no respect.”

 

“Shut up!” Nadia yelled.

 

“Nadia!” Chelsea yelled back.

 

“I hate this, I don’t want to be here I want to be in California with my Dad!” Nadia yelled and took off up the stairs.  At that moment Chelsea should have been fuming but she was actually a little happy, that was the first time Nadia had acknowledged AJ or her as such.

 

“You had no right hanging up on them.” Chelsea said looking at Jerald.

 

“Like I said she was bad mouthing me.” Jerald told her.

 

“Then you come and tell me, you don’t just hang up on her, she has a right to talk to him.” Chelsea said angrily.

 

“Again, unfortunately.”

 

“Jerald.” Anne replied stunned and appalled.

 

“And you want her to treat you with respect but you can’t even go one second without bashing Alex.” Chelsea snapped.  She then turned around and headed upstairs, when she got to the top she saw Nadia sitting up against the hallway wall.

 

“Nadia?” Chelsea said as she approached her.

 

“I don’t know which one is my room.” Nadia mumbled.

 

“I’m sorry about Jerald.”

 

“No you’re not.” Nadia snapped.  “You’re the one that dragged me out here; you’re the one that made me leave him.”

 

“I told you why.” Chelsea replied not wanting to fight with Nadia over this right now.

 

“Because you don’t trust him? And too think he sat up night after night worrying about you, telling me how much he loved you, how he felt when they found out you where alive.”

 

“Nadia” Chelsea replied sadly.

 

“Where’s my room?” Nadia asked as she got up.

 

“That one.” Chelsea told her as she pointed to the door beside her room.

 

“Chelsea?” Anne said from behind them and they both turned around.

 

“Alex is on the phone, he wants to talk to you.” Anne said.

 

“I wanna talk to him.” Nadia said as she took off back down to the kitchen and Chelsea followed her.

 

“Hello?” Nadia said as she picked up the phone.  “But I wanna talk to you.” There was a pause and then a sigh. “Fine.”  She then turned to Chelsea and held out the phone to her.  “He wants to talk to you but I’m talking to him when you’re done.”

 

Chelsea walked over to the phone and took it from her.  “Hello.”

 

“You tell that fucker that if he EVER hangs up on Nadia like that again, I will personally come out there and kick the shit outta him, do you hear me?” AJ yelled into the phone.

 

“I yelled at him for it.” Chelsea replied.

 

“Yeah I’m sure you did.” AJ snapped back.

 

“What did you want?” Chelsea asked not wanting to be on the phone with him for to long.

 

“Now, I want to talk to my daughter.” AJ said with a snappy tone.  Chelsea closed her eyes, she hated having him talk to her like this but she brought it on herself and she knew this.

 

“Nadia” Chelsea said as she pulled the receiver from her ear and handed Nadia the phone.

 

“Have you heard from your Lawyer yet?” Nadia asked as Chelsea stared at her.  “I hate it here already.”

 

Chelsea frowned as she turned around and instead of going upstairs she walked out the back door onto the porch.  She sat down on the wooden chair and looked around, suddenly an old memory came back too her.

 

“So you’re Alex?” Chelsea said as she sat down to one of Kevin’s band mates.

 

“Yeah” He said quietly with a nod.

 

“Is this your first time here?” She asked as she looked at him.  He was cute, his eyes were memorizing to her but he seemed really shy.

 

“T-t-to Kentucky?” He asked and she nodded.  “Yeah.”

 

“Aww he stutters, cute.” She thought to herself and then there was a long silent pause.

 

“Hey have you seen the blue grass yet?” Chelsea asked.

 

“Nope” He replied with a shake of his head.  “Is the grass really blue?”

 

“Come on I’ll show ya.” She said as she stood up. 

 

“Really?” He replied as she stood up.

 

“Yeah there’s a field not to far from here.” She said pointed towards the end of the backyard.

 

“Cool” AJ said as he got up from his chair.

 

Chelsea took a deep breath as she looked out towards the end of the backyard, where the path to the blue grass fields started.  It seemed like a lifetime ago when they first talked sitting on the porch.  She felt her bottom lip quiver and her eyes begin to water. Quickly she wiped her eyes so no one would see her crying.

 

“Hey there you are.” AJ said as he walked up to Chelsea as she sat in the field of grass.

 

“Hey” Chelsea said as she flashed a light smile.

 

“Whatcha doing out here?” AJ asked.

 

“Just thinking.” Chelsea replied.

 

“About?” AJ asked.  There was a silence as she picked at the ground around her.  “Chels?”

 

She shrugged lightly as he sat down beside her.  “It just sucks that you’ll be leaving in the morning.”

 

“Yeah” AJ replied.  “But Kevin said you’ll be coming down for Thanksgiving so we can see each other than.”

 

“That’s like two months away.” Chelsea said as she looked at him and that’s when he saw the tears in her eyes.

 

“Chelsea” AJ said with a frown.  He reached up and brushed the tears from her cheek.

 

“It’s so weird I’ve only known you for a few days and…”

 

AJ interrupted her.  “Feels like we’ve known each other forever?” Chelsea nodded and AJ pulled her into his arms.

 

As the memory passed AJ took a deep breath, his head was in a fog and the throbbing headache he had didn’t help any.  He tried to figure out what happened, why Chelsea left, what did he do wrong but he couldn’t think of a single thing.  So lost in his thoughts he had forgotten that Kevin was there.

 

“What did she say?” Kevin asked and AJ quickly looked up.

 

“Who?” AJ asked.

 

“Nadia” Kevin replied.

 

AJ took a deep breath.  “That she doesn’t wanna be there, that Jerald’s been talking smack about me and it’s pissing her off.”  He took a deep breath and shook his head.  “I seriously don’t know what happened, why she would do this and I mean if she wanted to go there to relax all she had to do was tell me, she didn’t have to rip Nadia away from me act like she wasn’t coming back, I don’t even know if she is coming back.”

 

“She’ll come back Alex she loves you.” Kevin said and AJ looked at him.

 

“She said she doesn’t trust me, god Kev you should have heard her she sounded just like Jerald.” AJ sighed.

 

“Can you go out there? Do you have a break coming up?” Kevin asked.

 

“I have a couple of days, I guess I could.” AJ said as he started to think.

 

“Go out there, if anything Nadia will be happy to see you.” Kevin told him.

 

 

Chapter 20 by VeeLynn
                                  Chapter 20

 

            AJ sat on the bed in his hotel room; he stared at the phone and thought about yesterday.  He hated thinking about it, dealing with it, it made his heart hurt so much that she could do this to him.  He still didn’t understand why and that made him angry after everything he deserved an answer but she wasn’t giving him one. Well besides the “I don’t trust you” bullshit.  With a sigh he picked up the phone and called Anne’s place. He waited and waited as the phone rang.

 

Finally someone picked up. “Hello?” And he knew it to be Chelsea.

 

“Is Nadia there?” AJ asked trying to be as calm as possible.

 

“She’s sleeping.” Chelsea replied.

 

“I’m in Kentucky.” AJ told her.

 

“You are?” Chelsea replied and he heard the shock in her voice.  “Don’t you have recording?”

 

“I have a couple of days.” AJ told her.  “I want to see her.” There was a long pause. “Chelsea did you hear me?” He asked his voice showing a hint of anger.

 

“Yes, yeah I heard you.” Chelsea replied a second later.  “That’s fine I’ll get her up and let her know you’re coming.”

 

“Good” AJ replied.  “I’ll be there in half an hour.”

 

He then hung up the phone as she said Ok, and he knew she was waiting for him to say more but he wasn’t going to, he didn’t’ want to talk to her right now.  With a frustrated grunt he got up from the bed and gathered up his key and wallet.  Letting the door close and lock behind him he made his way down the Hotel hallway towards the elevator. Making his way through the lobby he stopped of at the small café attached to the hotel and grabbed a coffee.  He than made his way to his rental car and proceeded to make his way to Anne’s place.

 

When he got there he only saw Anne’s car and what he assumed was Chelsea’s rental in the driveway glade to know Jerald wasn’t there.  Grabbing his coffee he stepped out of the car and saw the front door swing open as he shut the car door.  He smiled when he saw Nadia running towards him; quickly he set his coffee on the car roof and met her with open arms.  She wrapped her arms around him tightly and started to cry.

 

“It’s ok Nadia.” AJ told her.

 

“This is so unfair.” She cried.

 

“I know darling.” AJ replied as he looked up and saw Chelsea standing at the door.  He couldn’t help but think there was a time when she would run out to greet him like that.

 

“Jerald’s been a total jerk.” Nadia said as she pulled away.

 

“Why am I not surprised.” AJ sighed.  He looked up when he felt someone approached them.

 

“Hi” Chelsea said as she stopped at the two of them.

 

“Is it ok if I take her out for a bit?” AJ asked not even bothering to say hi back.  It pissed him off enough he even had to ask her.

 

“Sure” Chelsea replied with a light nod.

 

“Let me go get my Ipod” Nadia said before she took off into the house.

 

“So how are things?” Chelsea asked.

 

“I have nothing to say to you unless it is dealing with our daughter; I don’t want to talk to you.” AJ snapped at her.  He then opened the car door, grabbed his coffee and got inside.  He noticed Chelsea stared at him for a minute and then slowly she turned around and began walking into the house.  A second later Nadia came flying out of the house and jogged over to the car.  When she got in AJ pulled out of the driveway.

 

“So are we really going out or are we going to the airport to go back home?” Nadia asked and he heard the hopeful tone in her voice.

 

“We’re going out for a little bit; don’t want to make myself look bad before the injunction even goes through.” AJ told her with a light smile.

 

“This sucks” Nadia sighed.

 

“I know” AJ replied with the same sigh.

 

“And it doesn’t help that last night Chelsea spent like two hours outside.” Nadia said as she looked out the window.  “Had to sit there with Anne watching TV.”

 

“Anne is a nice person Nadia.” AJ said looking at her.

 

“I know but two hours just sitting in some field, like really” Nadia sighed. “If she wanted me to like it here she could at least take me out somewhere.”

 

AJ’s eyebrows fell in confusion a little.  “Where was she?” AJ asked.

 

“I dunno, some field in behind the house, Anne said she use to go out there all the time and practice her Gymnastics and stuff.” Nadia said giving a light shrug.  “Have no idea what she was doing out there for that long but I guess it was better than hanging out with me.”

 

AJ wasn’t sure how to take what Nadia had said.  Two hours out in the bluegrass field? Two hours of not being with your daughter, two hours that yesterday he would have killed for but she always went out there for a reason, she went out there to think and to be alone.

 

“So where are we going?” Nadia asked as she looked at him.

 

“Figured we go to the Fayette Mall and do some shopping.” AJ replied with a smile.

 

“Awesome” Nadia replied with an even bigger smile and it made AJ laugh; she sure did have his love for shopping.

 

 

 

Chelsea sat at the kitchen table staring at her coffee replaying the words AJ had said to her outside over and over again.  Each time they would cut deeper and deeper but she had no one to blame but herself, she really couldn’t even blame Jerald.  She’s the one that ripped his daughter away and she is the one that needs to deal with his anger.  The kitchen door swung open but she didn’t hear it, she didn’t even see the person sit down beside her.

 

“Chelsea?” The voice broke through her ears as a hand waved in front of her. She looked up and saw Anne staring back at her.

 

“Huh?” She replied as she tried to gather her thoughts.

 

Anne frowned.  “Chels, why are you two here?” She asked.

 

“Because right now I can’t take care of Nadia on my own, I need to make sure there are no lingering effects from the coma and AJ is so busy…” She stopped and looked back at her juice.  “And it’s not like I can trust leaving her with him.”

 

“Well now you sound like my oldest.” Anne replied but Chelsea didn’t look at her. “You really think he would go out drinking again, after almost losing you and getting back his daughter?” Anne asked.

 

“I don’t know” Chelsea mumbled.

 

“Do you still love him?” Anne asked. Chelsea had to stop herself from answering with a very strong yes; instead she chose to say nothing at all.  “Chelsea…” Anne said and she could hear the sadness in her voice.

 

“Maybe Jerald was right, maybe life has finally caught up with me.” She replied still not wanting to make eye contact with Anne.  Pushing her coffee away she stood up from the table.  “I’m going to go for a walk.”  She was glad Anne didn’t say anything as she walked out the back doors and across the backyard towards the small path that cut into the trees at the end of the yard.  When she reached the large field of long blue grass she walked out a few more feet and sat down.  She loved how you disappeared into the grass, it’s one of the reason she loved coming out here, to get lost for a little bit.  When she was younger she would do Gymnastics, now she really couldn’t do that anymore but she still loved the lost feeling from hiding in the grass.  Laying down she looked up at the sheet of light grey clouds and wondered if there would be rain soon.  She watched the clouds roll by letting her mind think of nothing. The clouds were hypnotic and she didn’t even notice her eyes getting heavy.

 

The next thing she knew she was woken by someone yelling her name, blinking a few times she looked around and realized she fell asleep.  “Oh crap” She thought when she had realized what time it was.  She heard the voice again calling her name and she sat up as she fixed her hair.

 

“Chelsea?!” She heard and she looked behind her, AJ was standing at the pathway. He saw her and started to make his way over to her.  “Are you ok?”

 

She looked at him a moment, wanting to tell him no she wasn’t, that Jerald had her backed against the a wall and this was the only way she could get out of it but she didn’t.  “Yeah, I must have fallen asleep.”

 

“You fell asleep?” AJ asked and she caught some anger in his tone. “Anne has been worried sick about you; you’ve been gone almost all day.” AJ replied.  “First you drag Nadia out here and then spend hours here in this stupid field, now you come out here to nap, you’ve become a real selfish bitch ya know that?”

 

“Alex” Chelsea replied with a frown.

 

“You better get back to the house.” AJ said before he turned around and started to head towards the house.

 

“Alex” She said as she grabbed his arm but he ripped it out of her hand.

 

“Your daughter is home, maybe you’d like to spend some time with her, if you don’t I could always take her back to Cali, because I know I would like too.” He said staring at her.  “I don’t know what the fuck has gotten into you.”

 

She stared at him as he walked away.  “Stupid field.” His words replayed in her head.  This was their place, their field; it wasn’t stupid at least to her.  As she walked a few feet behind him down the path she realized there was no stopping what she was doing now and there as no going back.  He was starting to hate her if he hadn’t already, she broke his heart and he was in pain because of her.

 

When they arrived at the house Anne and Nadia were standing on the back porch.  “Where was she?” Anne asked.

 

“She was taking a nap.” AJ replied as he walked up the steps.

 

“I must have fallen asleep, haven’t been sleeping much.” Chelsea replied and AJ laughed sarcastically.

 

“Here you guys are.” Jerald said as he walked out the back door and then he saw AJ.  “What’s he doing here?” He asked looking right at Chelsea.

 

“I’m here to see my daughter as if it’s any business of yours.” AJ snapped back.

 

“Chelsea came out here to have some alone time, you didn’t need to follow her.” Jerald said angrily.

 

“Again what business is it of yours asshole!” AJ shouted back.  “You know what I don’t need this shit.” AJ sighed as he threw up his arms and left the porch.  

 

“AJ” Nadia said and Chelsea could hear in her voice she didn’t want him to go.

 

“That’s right AJ walk away from your kid.” Jerald yelled after him.

 

“Shut up!” Nadia yelled as she turned to Jerald.  “Shut up, shut up shut up!!!” She screamed at him as she pushed hard on his chest, shoving him back.

 

“Nadia” Chelsea said as she gently grabbed Nadia’s shoulder.

 

“Don’t touch me!!!” Nadia yelled at her.  Chelsea’s heart broke when she saw the tears in her eyes.  “I hate you!” She yelled at Chelsea and took off into the house.

 

“Jerald” Chelsea snapped angrily.  “Why can’t you ever keep your mouth shut, just for once keep your fucking mouth shut!?”  She stared at him, her body shaking with anger waiting for him to say something but he didn’t. Chelsea grunted in frustration pulling on the back screen door so hard it slammed against the house.  She walked upstairs and went to Nadia’s room.  Knocking on the door she waited for her daughter to answer.

 

“Nadia open the door please.” Chelsea said as she leaned up against the hall wall.  “Nadia please talk to me?” She said again when she heard nothing.  Putting her hand on the doorknob and turned it.  As the door opened she looked into the room and saw no one in there.

 

“Nadia?” Chelsea said as she looked around.  She walked over to the closet and opened the door.  “Nadia?” Chelsea said again as she looked amongst the clothes.  Her face fell in confusion as she looked around the room again.  Walking out into the hallway she headed to her bedroom door and opened it.  “Nadia?” She said again.  Still there was no answer.

 

Chapter 21 by VeeLynn
                                Chapter 21

 

 

“Nadia!?” Chelsea yelled as she began to panic.  She walked out into the hallway and yelled again. “Nadia!” Quickly she ran down the front stairs into the living room.  “Nadia!” There was no answer and along with the panic came confusion. Where did she go?  Opening the kitchen door she looked inside and called out one more time. “Nadia!”  There was no answer.

 

“Oh God.” Chelsea whispered as she turned around and took off out the front doors.  “Nadia!!” She screamed as she looked around the yard, she ran down to the end of the driveway and looked down the street both ways.  “Nadia!!” She yelled again.  Her brain started to panic and she ran her fingers through her hair as small whimper broke from her lips.

 

“Chels?” Someone shouted at her and she spun around to see AJ

 

“I can’t find Nadia.” Chelsea said as she tried to control herself.  “I can’t find her.”

 

“What do you mean?” AJ asked as he walked up to her.

 

“I can’t find her.” Chelsea said a little frustrated, how hard was it to understand.  “I went to her room to talk to her and she wasn’t there, I searched my room, the living room, she’s not in the kitchen and she’s not answering to me.” She said a little frantic.  “Did she come out here? Wait I thought you left?”

 

“I was in the back; I hadn’t left yet when you took off after Nadia.” AJ told her.

 

“What’s going on?” Anne asked and Chelsea looked up at Anne and Jerald standing on the porch.

 

“Did you see Nadia in there?” AJ asked.

 

“No” Anne said shaking her head as the two walked up to AJ and Chelsea.

 

“Than I think she took off.” AJ told them.

 

“What!?” Anne said shocked.

 

Chelsea let out another whimper as she began pacing around the yard.  “I need to check the fields.”

 

“Chelsea she didn’t go back there we would have seen her.” AJ said.

 

“Well than where is she huh?!” Chelsea yelled back at him.

 

“I hope you’re happy Alex, coming out here and upsetting these two, you couldn’t leave well enough alone could you?” Jerald said bitterly.

 

“Excuse me?!” AJ said but then he realized Chelsea had said it just as loudly and he looked at her shocked.

 

“You…you want to talk about upsetting?” Chelsea yelled at him.  “How about the fact you came into my hospital room after I had just woken up from a coma, telling me to leave Alex, telling me he was no good for me!” Chelsea yelled at him.  “After I had just found out that not only was my daughter alive but she was right there in front of me and you turn around and threaten to take her away!” She screamed as the tears began to pour down her face. 

 

Chelsea than ran up to Jerald and shoved him hard.  “I left him, I took Nadia away from her Father a Father she had just met, I took her away like you wanted and it still wasn’t enough!” She screamed shoving him again.  “You didn’t care I was loosing my husband, if it wasn’t for him Jerald I wouldn’t be here today! You didn’t care that Nadia was losing her Father, no, no all you cared about was you beat Alex and you won!”

 

“What?” AJ said from behind her.

 

“I hope you’re happy Jerald, I hope you’re really happy because now she’s taken off!” Chelsea yelled as she shoved him one more time and took of into the backyard.

 

“What is she talking about?” AJ asked staring at Jerald.

 

“I have nothing to say to you.” Jerald said as he turned around to head into the house but someone grabbed his arm.

 

“But you will answer to me.” Anne said looking at him sternly.  “What was she talking about?”  Jerald looked at his Mother.  Just then a car turned into the drive way and all three looked at who was coming.  AJ’s face fell in confusion when he saw Kevin get out of the passenger side and then there was even more puzzlement when Tim got out of the drivers side.

 

“What’s going on?” Anne said looking at both men worried.

 

“Did you guys see Nadia at all, any chance you saw her?” AJ asked Kevin.

 

“No, why, what’s going on?” Kevin asked and AJ assumed he knew something was up now.

 

“Jerald started shit and pissed Nadia off, she took off.” AJ told them.

 

“What?” Kevin said looking at AJ worried but AJ had turned to Jerald.

 

“I don’t have time to find out what Chelsea meant, I need to go find my daughter but so help me God, if you did something to cause Chels to do what she did, not even your Mother will be able to stop me from kicking the ever loving fuck out of you.” AJ snapped with a frightening, angry tone.  He turned around and started heading towards the back, that’s when it happened.

 

“Jerald told Chelsea that if she didn’t leave you, he was suing the two of you for custody.” Kevin’s voice rang out and AJ spun around as Anne let out a gasped and then angrily shouted her son’s name.  “He told her with the way things were with you the last few months and with Chelsea not being able to take care of herself because of the accident, he had a good chance a winning.”

 

“How do you know this?” AJ asked Kevin.

 

“She told me, one night at the hospital.” Kevin replied.  “She was terrified, she didn’t know what to do.  She was scared that any day you would get some prick lawyer showing up at your door. So she had me call Jerald try to hold him off until she got out.”

 

“That’s why she called you?” AJ asked. “To take her home.”

 

“No, that was because she really wanted to surprise you.” Kevin replied with a light smile.

 

“The night before I came here, why didn’t you tell me then?” AJ demanded.

 

“She begged me not to tell you, she was very scared Alex, it’s why she was snapping all the time, it’s why she lost it on Jerald the way she did at the hospital, and the only thing I could think of to do was get you out here.” Kevin said and he could see the sadness in his eyes.  “Then I called Tim told him what was going on, we met up here so we could talk to Mom together.”

 

“I…I don’t get it, why couldn’t she have told me.” AJ replied.

 

“She wasn’t thinking straight, she’s not thinking straight, she’s scared and confused and If she left you, did what Jerald wanted, he would back off and she would be able to decide when you saw Nadia, when you could be with her but if my Brother got custody he wouldn’t let you see her, he’d let Chelsea but not you.”

 

“Damn right.” Jerald mumbled and that was it AJ lost it. He took of after Jerald, darting across the lawn as Kevin shouted at him.

 

“Alex, Alex, Alex.” Kevin shouted as he took off after his friend. Just as AJ was able to reach out and grab Jerald’s shirt, his band mate grabbed his arm and yanked him away.

 

“I’m going to hurt you; I’m going to fucking hurt you!” AJ shouted at Jerald.

 

“Let’s go find Nadia dude.” Kevin said pulling AJ away.

 

            AJ turned and looked at him.  “Let me just once fuck, just one fucking hit please.” AJ begged as Kevin go behind him and started pushing towards the cars.

 

“Let’s go look for Nadia man, come on.” Kevin said as AJ began to focus off of Jerald.

 

“I don’t fucking believe this!” AJ shouted angrily.  He flopped angrily into the car and slammed the passenger door.

 

“Ok so we came from that way but we didn’t see her so we’ll go this way and loop back around.” Kevin told him as the car pulled out of the driveway.

 

“Fine” AJ mumbled as he pictured himself pummeling Jerald on the front lawn.

 

Slowly Kevin rolled down the road, his window down calling out Nadia’s name.  AJ stared out front watching the edge of the trees, watching the shoulder, hoping any second she would pop into view but it was hard when he mind kept going back to Chelsea and what she had done.  He was so confused and blindsided by everything he wasn’t even sure if he was mad at her. 

 

“I’m sorry I never said anything man.” Kevin said as they began to circle the large block area. 

 

“I don’t even care right now, I just wanna find Nadia.” AJ replied still staring out the window.

 

“What’s that?” Kevin asked and AJ looked over to his side. “Is that her?” Kevin asked. “I don’t know what she was wear…”

 

“Yes that’s her.” AJ said quickly and relieved.

 

“Damn she’s fast.” Kevin said as they pulled up ahead of her and parked the car.

 

AJ got out of the car and when he looked back at his daughter she was standing on the side of the road staring at him.  He closed the car door and started walking towards her.  “Why did you take off, Chelsea’s worried sick, I was freakin’ out.”

 

“So, she doesn’t care about me and she doesn’t care about you.” Nadia said angrily.

 

“No Nadia, that is where you are wrong, your Mother loves you more than anything, more than me, more than herself, and she will sacrifice everything for you.” AJ told her.

 

“Then why did she take me away from you?” Nadia asked her eyes welling up with tears.

 

AJ looked at her; he wasn’t sure what to tell her, how she would take it.  With a deep breath he decided being honest with her was the best way to go.  “Jerald told her he was going to take you away from us because she wouldn’t be able to take care of you and he said I was unfit too.”

 

“Why would he do that?” Nadia asked.

 

“I still don’t know why he hates me so much but he does, I still don’t know why he went this far.” AJ said. “I’ve been looking for you.  Look, your Mom thought that she didn’t want to risk it, she didn’t want to fight, and she didn’t want to put you through that.  So she gave Jerald what he wanted and moved out here, if she made it look like she was leaving he would back off and then she would be able to say when I saw you, not him.”

 

“Because he probably wouldn’t even let me see you.” Nadia said as she made a annoyed face.

 

“Exactly.” AJ said with a light smile, he knew she understood at least a little bit.

 

“So did you know?” Nadia asked.

 

“No, not until a little while ago, when she realized you had taken off she lost it on Jerald, she took off into the back too look for you and then Kevin showed up, he told me.” AJ said as he looked back to Kevin.  “He showed up with his Brother Tim so they could talk to Anne and tell her.”

 

He than wrapped his arms around her. “I’m so glad you’re ok.” Then he pulled away. “Don’t take off like that again, no matter how mad you are.”

 

“I’m sorry.” Nadia said with a frown.

 

“It’s ok just go get into the car.” He said as he nodded back.  AJ followed her back to the car and got into the passenger side.

 

“Does this mean we’re going back to Cali?” Nadia asked.

 

“In a couple of days.” AJ said as he looked back at her.

 

“What about the cd recordings?” Kevin asked.

 

“I think they can get by without me for a couple of days.” AJ replied.  “I need sometime with Chelsea, so we can work out what happened plus her and Nadia need time too.”

 

They drove back to the house and AJ was the first to get out of the car.  He closed the door for Nadia and they both walked together to the house.  AJ opened the door and they walked in to see Anne and Tim sitting on the couch.

 

“Oh thank God you found you.” Anne said as she stood up.

 

“Where’s Chels?” AJ asked.

 

“Upstairs, Tim went and got her, told her you went with Kevin to go look for Nadia.” Anne said as she finished hugging Nadia.

 

“Where’s Jerald?” Kevin asked.

 

“Outback” Anne replied with a frustrated sigh.

 

“I’m going to go talk to your Mom why don’t you go to your room and start packing.” AJ told Nadia.

 

“Are you leaving?” Anne asked.

 

“Just going to a hotel, so we can talk and Chelsea can relax a little but we’re staying for a couple of days.” AJ told her before he walked up the stairs.

 

He walked down the hall to Chelsea’s room and stopped at the door, he frowned when he heard her whimpering on the other side.  Raising his hand he gently knocked on the door with his knuckle and waited.  A minute later she came to the door and opened it.

 

“Hi” AJ said when he saw her on the other side.

 

“Hi” She replied quietly.  “Did you find her?” She asked.

 

“Yeah” He said with a nod.  “She’s in her room packing.”

 

“Packing?” Chelsea asked confused.

 

“We’re going to go stay at a hotel.” AJ said as she frowned a little.

 

“Okay” Chelsea said with a nod.  “Can I say goodbye before you go, or does she not want to talk to me.”

 

“Huh?” AJ said confused. “No, Chels, you’re coming with us.”

 

“I am?” She replied confused. “I mean you want me to go?”

 

Now it was his turn to frown.  He took her by the hand and walked into the room, closing the door behind them.  AJ turned around.  “Of course I do sweetheart.  We need to talk about what Jerald did.”

 

“What I did” Chelsea said and AJ looked at her confused.  “I did this, I could have told you but I didn’t.  I made the decision to come here, to take Nadia away from you.”

 

“Because of the corner Jerald had you in.” AJ replied. “And I’m telling you right now he is not taking us to court, he’s not going to take Nadia away from us, from you or me.”

 

“Alex…” Chelsea replied with a frown.

 

“It’s not going to happen.” AJ told her.  She looked down at their hands as he held them and then she started crying.  Letting go of her hands he wrapped his arms around her.  Chelsea buried her face into his shoulder as she cried.  His hand gently drifted down the back of her head as he comforted her.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 22 by VeeLynn
                              Chapter 22

 

AJ stood against the archway of his hotel bedroom door.  His eyes fixated on the bathroom door on the other side of the bedroom.  He listened to the light rumble of the shower and smiled to himself.  With a relaxing sigh AJ left the doorway and walked across the small living area to the door beside the TV stand.  Carefully he opened the door and peaked in.  The light from their room broke through hers and he saw her sleeping in the bed against the wall.  He smiled as he watched his daughter lying there peacefully and then just as carefully he closed the door back over.  When the door was safely closed he listened for the shower but it wasn’t running anymore.  So he walked over to the bedroom door and stopped when he saw Chelsea sitting on the side of the bed.

 

Her hair was wet and hung down to the middle of her back, her robe wrapped around her, and her arms rested on her legs as she picked at her nails.  He walked over to her and sat down as she looked up at him.  She wasn’t crying but she had a solemn look in her eyes.

 

“Feel better?” He asked.

 

“No” She replied shaking her head lightly.  There was a moment of silence and then she whispered.  “I’m sorry.”

 

“I know sweetheart.” AJ replied as she brushed a piece of her hair behind her ear.  “And I’m sorry I called you a bitch.”

 

“But I was.” Chelsea replied.  “I was being a total bitch and I don’t blame you for hating me.”

 

“Only because of Jerald, all of this happened because of Jerald.” AJ told her. “And I don’t hate you, I didn’t hate you I was just really angry and really confused.”

 

Chelsea started crying again and AJ took her into his arms.  “I was just so scared, I didn’t want to lose her and I didn’t want you to lose her.” Chelsea told him.  “I had just woken up I was still trying to grasp everything and then Jerald comes into my room, telling me how you were out drinking when I fell…”

 

“I was not out drinking Chelsea.” AJ replied a little defensive.

 

“I know” Chelsea replied as she looked at him.  “And then he told me that he didn’t want Nadia staying with you, he still wanted me to go to Kentucky, where Anne could help me out.  I told him no but he said I didn’t have a choice because if I didn’t he would sue us for custody.” She said as she wiped her eyes.  “But it didn’t matter, it didn’t matter at all, he still bashed you, bashed you in front of her, and he didn’t care what I was going through, what Nadia was going through all he cared about was the fact he had won, so as far as he was concerned you were completely out of the picture.”

 

“I wish you would have told me.” AJ said as his head rested on top of hers.

 

“All I can say is I’m sorry, I’m so sorry.” Chelsea spoke before she started crying again and he pulled her tighter against him.  He knew she was sorry, he knew that what she did, she did because of the situation she was in, and he knew that the only thing that would get her past this, get past what she had done would be time; time with the three of them, just them and no one else.

 

“God Chelsea I missed you so much.” AJ whispered as he held her.

 

Her arms squeezed him and she answered still crying. “I missed you too.”

 

Holding his wife in his arms he consoled her as she cried.  He wasn’t mad at her anymore, all his anger and hatred went right at Jerald, and it was all on Jerald.  How could he ambush her the way he did, just waking up from a coma, telling her she was going to lose her family if she didn’t leave him. 

 

“Come on sweetheart.” AJ said as he pulled her away.  “I want you to get some sleep, you said earlier you hadn’t been sleeping and with all the stress you’ve been under, I want you to get a good nights rest.”

 

He helped her slide back on the bed, pulling the blankets back so she could slide under them and he laid beside her letting her lay in his arms.  He noticed she held onto him tightly and she was still crying a little.  Placing his fingers under her chin he lifted her head so he could look her in the eyes.  “I’m right here and I’m not going anywhere, okay?” He said as she looked back at him.  “I understand why you did what you did and the only person I’m pissed off at is Jerald.”

 

“Alex?” Chelsea said as he kissed her forehead, he then looked at her.  “I love you.”

 

AJ smiled glad to hear those words coming from those lips.  “I love you too Chels.”  Gently he leaned in and pressed his lips to hers.  His fingers tangled in her hair as he placed his hand on the side of her neck, a small whimper that was muffled by the kiss broke from Chelsea’s lips and as he lost himself to the passionate embrace they were in, his hand slipped down and began untying her robe. Her lips quickly pulled away from his and she stared at him, he saw shock looking back at him.  Ignoring her reaction he gently pecked at her lips as he let the robe fall beside her.  He felt her hand slide up the side of his arm, along his shoulder and then softly stop on the side of his neck. Now that the robe was out of the way his hand drifted up under her pajama top, his fingers aching to touch the soft skin under it.  Their tongues passionately flicked as their hands explored each others bodies but then there was a knock at the door.  The couple broke away and stared at it for a minute.

 

“Nadia.” Chelsea whispered with a light smile.

 

AJ smiled back at got up off the bed, he adjusted his clothing as Chelsea retied her robe up, and when he knew everything was ok he opened the door.  “What’s up darling?”

 

“Can’t sleep.” Nadia replied with a light shrug.  “Did I wake you?”

 

“Nope” AJ replied shaking his head.  “We were up talking.”

 

“Oh, well I can go find something on TV if you guys wanna be alone.” Nadia said as she pointed to the TV in the small living area.

 

“No it’s ok besides I think there’s someone else in here who would like to talk to you.” AJ said as he looked back to Chelsea who was picking at something on the blanket.  He stepped aside so she could walk into the room, when he closed the door he saw Chelsea look up.

 

“What’s up?” She asked looking at the both of them.

 

“She can’t sleep.” AJ replied.

 

“So are you feeling better?” Nadia asked Chelsea as she climbed onto the bed.

 

“A little, yeah” Chelsea replied with a nod as AJ sat down.

 

“That Jerald guy is crazy.” Nadia said her eyes a little wide.

 

“Nadia” AJ said sternly but he couldn’t help but let out a chuckle.

 

“Well he is.” Nadia replied.  “Why would he do that to Chelsea even if he didn’t like you?”

 

“I don’t know, I hope to find out tomorrow at Anne’s.” Chelsea replied with a light shrug.

 

“I bet she’s going to go ape shit on him.”  Nadia replied and both Chelsea and AJ looked at her.  “I mean…going to get really mad.”

 

“Ugh, you have your Fathers mouth.” Chelsea sighed.

 

“I’m sorry I said I hated you.” Nadia said with a frown.

 

“I’m sorry I dragged you out here away from your Dad.” Chelsea replied.  “So we’ll call it even?”

 

“Cool” Nadia said with a nod.

 

Then there was a weird strange noise that broke the silence of the room, Chelsea moaned but Nadia looked confused.  “What was that?” She asked looking around.

 

“That was your Fathers stomach.”

 

“What, sorry if I’m hungry.” AJ replied defensive.

 

“I’m hungry too.” Nadia said.

 

“Wanna order room service?” AJ asked looking at Chelsea.

 

“Sure, I could go for a burger.” Chelsea replied with a shrug.

 

“I’ll go get the menu.” Nadia said getting up.

 

When she left the room AJ turned to Chelsea.  “I think she’s going to be ok.”

 

“Yeah” Chelsea agreed.

 

“You think so too?” AJ asked.

 

Chelsea nodded.  “The other day when Jerald hung up on you and her, she yelled at him, and she called you Dad.”

 

AJ’s eyebrows went up in shock but a smile slowly broke from his lips.  “She did?” And his voice cracked a little.

 

“Yeah” Chelsea smiled. “I think that’s when I started to realize what I was doing.”

 

AJ was about to say something but Nadia had returned.  “I want a skinless chicken sandwich.”

 

“Skinless?” AJ replied.

 

“Yeah” Chelsea nodded.  “Less fat that way.”

 

AJ rolled his eyes and looked at the menu.  “You’re fifteen you shouldn’t care about that stuff.”

 

“This coming from the thirty year old in a boy band.” Nadia replied

 

“Hey” AJ said stunned as Chelsea started cracking up laughing.

 

“Bad enough I’m going to be going through life having my friends drool over you.” Nadia sighed.

 

“He’s not going to age well Nadia don’t worry.” Chelsea replied.

 

“What the hell, is it bash Alex night?” AJ replied.

 

“Anne showed me a picture from when they first got together.” Nadia said a little excitedly to Chelsea than she turned to AJ.  “Where did all your hair go?”

 

AJ stared at her and then looked at Chelsea who was beat red trying not to bust out laughing.  “You two can kiss it.” AJ mumbled as he looked back down at the menu and both girls started laughing.

 

“He’s a little sensitive about it.” Chelsea whispered to Nadia.

 

“Am not” AJ replied quickly.  “But I don’t like being mocked.”

 

“Says the King.” Nadia replied sarcastically.

 

“Listen you…” AJ said looking at his daughter but she was laughing again.

 

Chelsea looked at him. “Now you know how the rest of us feel my dear.”

 

AJ rolled his eyes. “Ha Ha.”  Then AJ got up off the bed.  “That’s it I’m takin’ my menu and going home, screw you guys!” He shouted as he walked out of the room.  The girls didn’t mind though they were to busy laughing again.

 

Epilogue by VeeLynn
                                Epilogue

 

October, 2009

           

Life is going good and that’s all I can ask for.  On tour right now just chillin’ while I have some downtime before the sound check starts, in an hour or so. I miss Chels and Nadia but they’re coming out in a couple of weeks, so I’ll try and hang in there.  Things are back to normal, well as normal as normal is for my family.  From what I understand Jerald hasn’t talked to any one but his Mom since everything went down.  When we went back to Anne’s place after spending a night alone in a hotel room, we walked in on Tim unloading on Jerald. Telling him he took shit too far, that if their Father was alive right now his hide would be tanned, whether he was 50 something or not. Anne told us Jerald just doesn’t want us together, at all, and I even heard whispers that he’s gone to counseling.  Nadia’s in school and adjusting well, just before I started the tour, Chels and I helped her redo her room, we painted it, bought furniture for it, and she picked everything out.  I gotta say she doesn’t really have my funky taste; she’s more relaxed like her Mom when it comes to that kind of stuff.  Chelsea’s doing good too, still nothing major has happened because of the coma and it’s been a couple of months now.  Oh and Nadia has been calling us Mom and Dad for a couple of weeks.  Sometimes I look at her and wish I was there, wish I could experience her coming into this world, it’s weird when you realize you’re a parent and it’s even weirder when it’s just like bam you now have a teenage girl.  She’s smart and I now know what Kevin meant when he use to say Chelsea was like an old soul, cause her daughter has one too…

 

AJ looked up when there was a knock at the door.  He put his pen down, got up from the table and then walked over to the hotel room door.  Looking out the peep hole he saw a hotel attendant standing outside.  Opening it he met the worker with a smile.

 

“Hi” He said as the man stood there with a package in his hand.

 

“This came for you sir, need you to sign here.” The man said and AJ’s face fell in puzzlement He signed for the package and said thank you to the attendant. 

 

“Hey dude whatcha got?” Nick yelled an AJ looked up and saw LeighAnne, Brian and Nick standing in the hall.

 

“Dunno” He shrugged as they started heading over.  Pulling on the plastic that was secured over it.  “I hate this shit always so hard to pull cause it stretches.” AJ moaned as he tried to poke a hole for an opening.  Finally his fingers poked through and he was able to take off the plastic mail envelope.  Inside was a box, no name, no lable, only thing abnormal about it was that it wasn’t really square it was somewhat long.  He looked at the plastic bag for a name but there wasn’t one.

 

“What it is?” Brian asked as AJ looked at his friends.

 

“No name, so I have no idea.” He shrugged.

 

“Fan package?” Nick asked.

 

“Then it would have, name, number and address plastered all over it.” AJ said looking at Nick.  He looked back at the box and turned it over a couple of times, that’s when he saw the writing.  “To You, From Me. Oh, it’s from Cheslea.” He said reading the writing.

 

“Well open it up.” LeighAnne said shooing him with her hands.

 

Pulling on the edge of the box and breaking off the piece of scotch tape that was over the lid, he got inside the unknown package.   He looked inside and his face was over come with confusion.  “What the hell is this?”  Tilting the box he let the item fall out into his hand.

 

“What the hell is that?” Nick said repeating his question.

 

LeighAnne gasped and everyone looked at her and then a devilish smile came across her face as she looked at AJ.  “I know what that is.” She smiled.

 

“What?” AJ asked looking at her.

 

“Turn it over.” She said still smiling.

 

AJ looked down at the long thin plastic thing in his and turned it over.  As the other side faced him he stared at the small window with the pink plus sign in the middle.  His mind went blank for a second, he knew what it was but he couldn’t remember.

 

“Oh, it’s a pregnancy test.” His inner voice spoke.  “It’s a pregnancy test!” He blurted out to his friends as he looked at them dumb founded.  Then he looked back down at the window.  “Plus, it’s plus…holy shit its plus!”

 

“Well duh dude, I don’t think Chels would have sent it out here if it was Negative.” Nick said sarcastically.  “Oh look baby we were so close this time.” He said as he snapped his fingers.

 

“Nick shut up.” LeighAnne sighed.

 

“Alex…” He heard Brian say as he stared at the stick.

 

“I…I…I need to go call Chelsea.” He said as he turned around and let the door close behind him, still staring at the stick in his hand.  Almost zombie like he walked over to the table and picked up his cell phone, dialing his home number. 

 

“Hello?” Chelsea’s voice answered the phone.  He said nothing still staring at the stick.  “Alex are you there?” She said after a minute.

 

“Chelsea…” Was all AJ could get out.

 

“Ah, did you get my present?” Chelsea said and he could hear her smile through the phone.

 

“Are you serious, is this, is this for real?” AJ said as he started to come out of his fog.

 

“Yep” She said.  “I took the test and when it came out positive I made the doctors appointment.  They called yesterday morning to confirm that it was positive so I sent that out express.”

 

“Oh my God Chelsea are you serious?” AJ spoke as he felt the emotion over take him.

 

“Yes, I’m serious.” She replied with a giggle.

 

“Does Nadia know?” He asked.

 

“No, I was figuring we could tell her together when we meet up with you.” She told him.

 

“Can you fly, are you ok to fly?” AJ asked.

 

“Yes hun I can fly.” She replied.  “But if you want you can call your Mom.”

 

“Oh man she’s going to lose it.” AJ said with a light laugh.  “Holy fuck Sweetheart I can’t believe this.” He said as he put his hand over his mouth as his tears dripped from his eyes.

 

The couple talked and cried for about a half hour, talking about people they were going to tell and making sure they knew not to say anything to Nadia.  AJ said I love you too her about twenty times before they finally hung up the phone and then he sat there and stared at the test again.  Composing himself he stood up and headed towards the door but then his journal caught his eye.  Changing direction AJ walked over to the table and sat down, picking up the pen.

 

…My hand is shaking…I can’t believe what Chelsea just told me.  I can barely write it, Chelsea told me she was pregnant. PREGNANT!!! This is unreal, it feels like a dream. My Chelsea, the one I thought I had lost forever and now we’re going to have a baby.  This is a whole different feeling from when I found out about Nadia, this I can watch grow, I can be there, and we can share this together.  Words can not describe how much I love that woman right now, she’s brought so much to my life, she’s made my life something I thought it would never be…perfect.

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10680