A Change in the Wind by AJsSweety
Summary: Everything AJ has worked for is changed one faitful night.
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ
Genres: Angst, Drama
Warnings: Violence, Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: Yes Word count: 30672 Read: 14316 Published: 10/16/03 Updated: 12/17/03

1. Ch 1 by AJsSweety

2. Ch 2 by AJsSweety

3. Ch 3 by AJsSweety

4. Ch 4 by AJsSweety

5. ch 5 by AJsSweety

6. Ch 6 by AJsSweety

7. Ch 7 by AJsSweety

8. Ch 8 by AJsSweety

9. Ch 9 by AJsSweety

10. Ch 10 by AJsSweety

11. Ch 11 by AJsSweety

12. Ch 12 by AJsSweety

13. Ch 13 by AJsSweety

14. Ch 14 by AJsSweety

15. Ch 15 by AJsSweety

Ch 1 by AJsSweety
The call had come in late that evening. She lay tangled in the sheets of the bed. Making her way to the ringing phone she answered it sleepily.
“ Hello?” She said not sure who would be calling at this late hour.
“ Mrs. McLean?” She heard a male voice ask.
“ Yes this is Katherine McLean. Is there something I can help you with?” She asked now awake.
“ There has been an accident.” The man said. Katherine was now wide awake and staring at the phone.
“ A..A what?” She stuttered. Katherine looked down into the small crib at her sleeping son and then around the room.
“ There has been an accident. We need you to come to Orlando General Hospital right now. Is there anyone there that can bring you?” She heard the kind voice ask.
“ I can call my husbands best friend.” She said trying to remain standing.
“ How about we send an officer to come and get you.” He said kindly hoping that would keep the young woman calm.
“ No that’s fine my husband left me someone here I will be there shortly.” Katherine said hanging up quickly. She looked down at her son and lifted his small body into her arms and kissed his rosy cheeks.
“ Oh god Alex what has happened.” She cried holding her son close. The baby cooed as he was cuddled closer to his sobbing mother.
“ Mrs. McLean is everything alright?” She heard her son’s nanny ask. She looked up to see Gretchen, the older woman that AJ had hired to help Katherine around the house.
“ Something has happened.” Katherine said looking at Gretchen.
“ What has happened?” She asked seeing Katherine holding the baby close.
“ I don’t know the hospital just called.” Katherine sobbed holding her son close.
“ Kathy calm down. I will call Linda and have her come down and go with you. Do you want to take Brandon with you?” Gretchen asked of the baby.
“ Yes I would I will get him dressed.” Katherine said. Gretchen nodded and headed down the hall to call Katherine’s friend Linda.

Sleepily a voice answered the phone. Gretchen could hear a male voice speak first.
“ Mr. Dorough I hate to wake you sir. This is Gretchen can you wake your wife there has been an accident and Kathy needs someone to go with her to the hospital.” Gretchen said in a rush. Howie sat up with a start and woke his wife.
“ Linda baby you got to wake up there has been an accident we need to take Kathy to the hospital.” Howie said waking his wife. Linda woke with a start and nodded at her husband. Climbing from the bed she hurried to get dressed.
“ Tell Kathy we will be there shortly.” Linda said looking at Howie. She hurried from the room to gather her children and then get to the car.

******************************************************
“ We have to get him stabilized.” The doctor shouted at the nurses.
“ Yes Doctor. There where two men in that car.” The nurse said looking towards the other room. She could see more doctors and nurses working on a young blond that had been brought in.
“ Has his family been notified?” The doctor asked once they had gotten the young man stabilized.
“ Yes doctor she’s on her way. Doctor what about the other mans family?” She asked as they hurried into the next room to aid the other doctor.
“ They have been notified.” The paramedic said moving away from the bleeding blond.

*******************************************************

Katherine hurried into the hospital holding her young son in her arms. Gretchen had come along and was reaching for the screaming child as Katherine made her way to the nurse’s station.
“ I received a call.”
“ Your name ma’am?” The lady asked looking at Katherine.
“ Katherine McLean.” She said looking at the nurse. The nurse nodded and headed towards the back to get a doctor. Returning a short time later with a doctor.
“ Mrs. McLean?” The doctor said walking up to Katherine.
“ Yes. What has happened? Is my husband alright?” She asked knowing that AJ had to have been in an accident for her to have been called. Howie stood behind her with his hands on her shoulders.
“ He’s been hurt pretty badly, It seems that it was a drunk driver that struck their car.”
“ Their? My husband wasn’t alone?” Katherine said trying to control her tears.
“ He was with a young blond man. They are both in ICU and have both slipped into a coma.” He said looking at her. Katherine dropped to her knees as sobs racked her body.
“ What happened?” Howie asked.
“ It seems that they had stopped for a red light and where about to move as the light changed when a large truck ran the light coming from the other direction causing the large SUV to flip several times before coming to rest against a telephone poll. They had to extracted from the vehicle. We think that Mr. McLean may have broken his back but we aren’t sure. We have to wait for the swelling to come down. Right now he’s in a coma as is Mr. Carter.” The doctor said. The names came out of his mouth and Katherine cried harder against her friend. Linda held her young friend in her arms. She was in shock thinking that both AJ and Nick had been in an accident and where now in ICU.
“ Kathy I will call the others.” Howie said placing his hand on her shoulder. Howie wasn’t even sure if Katherine had heard him as he walked outside of the hospital with his cell phone. Linda walked over and held her friend close as she sobbed.
“ Mrs. Dorough I am going to take the children back to the house.” Gretchen said looking at Linda.
“ That’s fine. Thank you Gretchen. Duane, go with Gretchen and help her with Brandon.”
“ Ok mommy.” Duane said hugging his mom. Duane wasn’t sure what was going on but he went with the older woman to help with his cousin.
“ Come on sweetie let’s go sit in the waiting room and then we can go see Alex.” Linda said leading Katherine towards the private ICU waiting room. Katherine held onto Linda tightly as she sat down in the plush chair. She felt as if her world had come to a crashing halt. She remembered it clearly the day they had met.
Ch 2 by AJsSweety
********* Flash Back Five years before *********

Katherine Cross stood looking out at the ocean. She was standing on her friend’s deck.
“ Hey Kathy you ok?” Linda asked.
“ Yeah. I can’t believe that you’re getting married today.” Katherine said looking at her friend. Linda smiled and smoothed the wrinkles out of her long white dress.
“ It’s been a long time coming. Howie and I’ve been threw a lot.” Linda said smiling. She looked towards the pictures that sat on the nearby end table. She picked up the most recent of the two and the most happy of the pictures. She ran the tip of her finger over the picture.
“ I remember when that picture was taken.” Katherine said looking over her friend’s shoulder.
“ Yeah that was taken the day he proposed. You where there.” Linda said looking at her friend.
“ Yes I was.” Katherine said smiling. Katherine sat down on the small bench and looked at her friend. Linda smiled and touched her friend’s arm.
“ Honey you will be happy soon. It’s good that you got away from that man. I know that you like Alex. And I know Alex likes you.” Linda said smiling.
“ Yeah he’s sweet. Nothing like Nathin. I like that.” Katherine said smiling. Linda loved to watch her friend smile.


Several months after the wedding Katherine and AJ where growing closer. Both seemingly happy threw everything that they had gone threw to even find love. It was a day in late 2001 when AJ was on tour with the rest of the group. He had finally decided he needed help for his drinking problem. Katherine stood by his side threw everything. When he announced that he was going into rehab she stood by him and supported him. Staying with Linda and Howie during the time that AJ spent in Rehab, visiting AJ during the weekends. It was while in rehab he proposed to her. She wasn’t sure if she should accept but she saw that sparkle in his eyes she hadn’t seen since they had met. It had been gone for to long, she was even beginning to wonder if he knew how to be happy anymore.
“ Yes Alex I will marry you.” Katherine had said to him. A smile played on his face made her smile that much more. They where married in the spring of 2002. Katherine made him wait till he was sure he was on steady ground and was really ready. Howie was so proud of AJ, and happy that he had finally found someone that really truly loved him for who he was and not for the money and the fame. Less than six months later AJ announced his lovely bride was having a baby.
“ That is great.” Howie said hugging his friend
“ Yeah it is. I can’t believe it I am going to be a father.” AJ said his face lighting up with every word.
“ It’s a great feeling.” Howie said holding his young son in his arms.
“ Yeah it is. Duane is a beautiful boy.” AJ said taking the baby from Howie.
“ Yeah that he is. I never thought I’d be a father but it’s something I wouldn’t trade for anything.” Howie said kissing his young son’s head.
“ I wouldn’t want you to man. I’ve seen how you act around Duane. He makes your life complete.” AJ said kissing the small child’s head.
“ Can you believe that Duane will be 10 months in two weeks. He’s getting so big.” Howie said looking at his son. Duane was wiggling and wanted down from AJ’s arms. AJ shook his head and let the little boy down.
“ MOMMY” Duane giggled as he waddled towards his mom. AJ shook his head and pulled his lightweight jacket closer as a cool breeze rolled off the ocean.
“ When is she due?” Howie asked breaking into AJ’s thoughts.
“ Let’s see she just found out and it’s November now so nine months.” AJ said laughing.
“ So about August.” Howie filled in looking at his friend.
“ Yep that sounds about right.” AJ said pulling Katherine’s body into his lap. His hand’s resting on her stomach.
“ What?” Katherine giggled.
“ I am so happy that you’re my wife and that your having my baby.” AJ said kissing her neck.

The most spectacular day of AJ’s life happened when he was standing there in the delivery room with Katherine. She was dripping in sweat and the most beautiful he had ever seen.
“ One more push, Kathy.” The doctor said from his place near her feet.
“ I am tired.” Katherine whined.
“ One more baby. One more and you can be holding our baby.” AJ said kissing her damp forehead.
“ I can’t.” She said looking at him.
“ One more time. Please try.” AJ said. Katherine looked into his pleading eyes and pushed again. She leaned back against him as the doctor slapped the small infant he was holding in his gloved hands. She heard the baby cry and smiled.
“ It’s a boy.” He said looking up at the proud parents. Once they had cleaned the child they placed the wrapped baby onto Katherine’s chest.
“ He’s so beautiful.” Katherine said kissing her new son’s forehead.
“ Yes he is. What should we name him?” AJ asked kissing her forehead and running his finger over his son’s cheek.
“ Brandon Alexander McLean.” Katherine said looking at AJ.
“ Perfect.” AJ said kissing her passionately.
“ How about daddy comes with me while we weigh the baby?” The nurse said looking at AJ. “ And then you can bring him out to show your friends.” She said smiling at AJ. AJ nodded and kissed Katherine again.
“ As soon as we finish up here Mr. McLean your wife will be brought into her room.” The doctor said grabbing something off the small stand he had set up.
“ Thank you.” AJ said following the nurse from the room. AJ walked out into the waiting room. His friends all stood and smiled as AJ showed the small baby.
“ He weighs 6lbs 5 oz and is 22 inches long. His name is Brandon Alexander.” AJ said smiling.
“ Can I hold him?” Nick asked walking up to his friend.
“ Sure.” AJ said handing off his son to one of his best friends. He watched Nick hold the small baby in his arms. It was a special time and he noticed that Kevin had brought a camera to take pictures and was taking pictures of everything.
“ You know I always thought it would be Howie that would be going everywhere with a camera.”
“ I told Howie I would bring the camera.” Kevin said “ He was way to nervous.”
“ And I am the new father.” AJ said with a laugh. Howie smiled and hugged his friend.
“ I am so happy for you.” Howie said.



*********** End Flash Back ***************
Katherine sat in the waiting room, long since her crying had stopped. Her eyes spacing out watching people walk past. Howie came into the room and sat down next to Linda.
“ Baby the others are on their way. I called and my parents are bringing Denise.”
“ That’s good. Thanks for calling them.” Linda said looking towards Katherine.
“ Has she said anything?”
“ She’s been sitting like that for the last 45 minuets. Howie I don’t know what to do for her. She’s lost.” Linda said holding onto him tightly as she began to cry. Howie wasn’t even sure what to do. His best friend was laying in a bed with tubes running from his body. In the next room his youngest friend.
“ What are we going to do?” Howie whispered.
“ We are going to pray.” Howie’s mom said as she entered the small waiting room. “ Any news?” She asked.
“ Nothing. They had us come in here they said they would be back soon. That was an hour ago.” Linda said looking at the group that had assembled.
“ Does anyone know what happened?” Denise asked.
“ It was a car accident.” Katherine muttered.
“ How bad?” Denise asked looking at Katherine.
“ He’s..he’s in a coma, they think his back is broken.” Katherine said as she broke down into sobs again. Denise pulled her daughter in law into her arms and held her close. Denise remembered when AJ had proposed and when his son walked down the isle to marry the one woman that had made him happy.
“ Where is Brandon?”
“ Gretchen took him and Duane home.” Linda said.
“ Why haven’t they come in to tell us anything.” Denise asked looking around the room.
Ch 3 by AJsSweety
Denise looked up as Nick’s parents entered the room, Jane’s eyes red from crying as she walked over and sat down next to Katherine.
“ It wasn’t their fault.” Jane said as she hugged Katherine close. Katherine leaned against Jane and cried. Her slender body racked with sobs as she thought of losing her husband that night.
“ Excuse me are you all here for Mr. Carter and Mr. McLean?” The doctor asked coming into the room.
“ I am Nick’s mom.” Jane said standing with Katherine.
“ I am Alex’s wife.” Katherine said softly.
“ How are they?” Howie asked knowing the others wouldn’t ask. The doctor looked at the group and sighed.
“ Well I will start with Mr. Carter first. It seems that he’s the one with the least amount of injuries. The car landed on his side but with his seatbelt it kept him from being hurt worse than we had first thought. He did hit his head pretty badly, which is the reason he’s in a coma, he’s got a broken arm, his left leg is broken actually his left leg was totally crushed but it will heal. Right along with the rest of his body.” The doctor said.
“ But he’s in a coma?” Jane said looking at the doctor.
“ Yes ma’am he is. His head injury is the biggest part of our worries right now. His brain has swelled and until we can get the swelling under control he will remain in his coma.” The doctor said.
“ Is there any brain damage?” Katherine asked.
“ It’s too soon to tell. Until the swelling comes down and he finally wakes we wont know.” The doctor said. Bob pulled his wife into his arms as she began to cry.
“ My husband?” Katherine asked.
“ Mr. McLean is the worse of the two. He was on the receiving end of the first impact. We where told the truck that hit them was speeding at over 60 mph when it impacted with their vehicle. It took the paramedics the longest to remove him for the car. He has a sever head injury, his head was bleeding when he was brought in that required several stitches to close. We took several x-rays once we had stabilized him and his back is broken in three places.” The doctor said. Katherine brought her hands up to her mouth and dropped to her knees.
“ Now Mrs. McLean that doesn’t mean that he wont walk again. We have to wait and see. This is a waiting game. Your husband is in a coma, but unlike Mr. Carter he slipped into that coma on his own. We are unsure if and when he will wake.” The doctor said. Denise put her arms around Katherine and looked up at the doctor.
“ My son will wake up. He’s strong and has a lot to live for.”
“ Mrs. McLean we cant promise that. At this moment we are trying to bring the swelling down to see if he’s paralyzed.” The doctor said calmly.
“ He’s a family man with a two month old son. He will pull threw this and will be there to show his son how to dance or how to play basketball.” Denise shouted.
“ Denise, this isn’t the doctors fault let the man do his job.” Howie’s mom Paula said. Denise leaned down and lifted Katherine and held the sobbing girl close to her.
“ I can lose him.” She sobbed.
“ Can we see them?” Denise asked calmly. The doctor nodded and smiled.
“ One at a time.”
“ I don’t think she can handle going alone.” Howie said looking at Katherine.
“ Alright but don’t stay long.” The doctor said
“ What rooms?”
“ 214 they are in the same room.” The doctor said leading them down the hall. Linda held Howie’s hand as they walked down the hall.
“ When will the others be here?”
“ A few hours, Aaron was in New York, Kevin’s in England. And Brian is flying over on the first flight he can get. He’s bringing Leighanne and Baylee.”
“ They all need to be here.” Linda said as they came to a stop in front of the door.
“ They will be.” Howie said. He looked into the room and wasn’t even sure he wanted to walk threw the door. He hated it when Brian had spent his short time in the hospital threw which they had all thought they where going to lose their brother. Now he had two brothers in ICU with machines helping them breath. Tears rolled down his cheeks as he walked into the room. AJ lay with his arms at his side, he looked so small in the large bed. Tube down his throat helping him breath, an IV line in his left hand running to a set of medications that where being given. His head had a huge bandage on it covering the stitches that needed to be given.
“ He.. He looks so small.” Howie said finally breaking down in tears. His tear filled brown eyes looked towards the other bed, where Nick lay. His blond hair messed from the accident. Howie watched as Jane ran her fingers lightly over her son’s bruised face. All Howie could see was a curious young boy he had met those ten years before. Always getting into trouble. He half expected Nick to sit up and laugh like it was one big joke. But Nick never moved, the machine next to him beeping with the rythem of his heartbeats. Howie touched the cross that had been given to him by AJ many years ago.
“ Don’t take them.” He whispered as he ran his fingers over the cross. Suddenly a shrill beeping filled the room. Howie’s eyes darted towards a histerical Katherine.
“ Don’t you leave me!” She screamed. The doctor rushed into the room with several nurses making everyone move away from the bed.
“ Damn it he’s flat lined. Get me the paddles and charge to 150.” The doctor shouted. Katherine felt arms around her shoulders, her eyes looked away from the bed for a moment to see Brian standing there. She turned and buried her face in his chest and cried. She heard the machine make a noise and turned and saw AJ’s body arch up from the bed.
“ Charge to 200” She heard the doctor say again. “ Clear.” He said as he placed the paddles on AJ’s exposed chest, again AJ’s body arched up from the bed and then she heard the beeping of his heart rate again.
“ We’ve got him back normal sinus rythem.” The doctor said placing the paddles back on the machine. Katherine looked at the doctor expectantly.
“ We’ve got him back. Let’s pray that doesn’t happen again.” He said touching her shoulder. Katherine cried as she looked towards the bed.
“ He’s strong.” Brian whispered holding Katherine in his arms.
“ Honey come on lets go get some coffee.” Leighanne said taking Katherine’s arm.
“ I don’t want to leave him alone.”
“ He wont be, go with Leigh.” Brian said letting his wife lead Katherine away from the room.
“ How could something like this happen?” Denise asked.
“ We aren’t sure. But we have to pray for them. Kevin and Aaron will be here soon.” Howie said looking at the group.
“ You where able to reach my son?” Jane said
“ Yeah, Nick had given us all Aaron’s cell number in case he was with his brother.” Howie explained.
“ It’s always good. My son’s both thought of you all ask their family.” Jane said looking towards Nick’s lifeless body. She could easily lose her oldest son as much as he could lose one of his closest friends.
“ I’m going to check on Katherine.” Bob said heading out of the room. Brian walked into the room and looked at his friends. Nick the youngest member of their group his best friend. He remembered when he first met Nick, a small 13 year old boy that was very active that always was willing to play tricks or pranks on their friends. Nothing that would hurt anyone but just good fun. Nick was the little brother that Brian and the others had never had. And they where the big brothers he had never had, since Nick was the oldest of five he never knew what it was like to be the youngest, joining the Backstreet Boys he found out that having older brothers was great.
“ We could lose our little brothers.” Brian said looking at Howie.
“ We could but we wont. I am going to the church do you want to come with me?” Howie asked. Brian nodded and followed his friend from the room. Jane sat down between Nick and AJ, Denise sitting on the other side of AJ holding his limp hand in her own.
“ I always thought that he would be hurt doing some stunt on that stage but I never thought I could lose him because some moron decides to drive drunk.” Denise said looking towards Jane. Jane looked at Denise with tears in her eyes.
“ She will lose her mind if he dies.” Jane said looking at Denise.
“ They are everything to each other, she completed something in my son. Alex smiled the day he came to me to tell me he was going to ask her to marry him. I remember listening to them talking about how much she cared about each of the boys.” Denise said running her fingers over AJ’s cheek, brushing his unruly brown hair from his face.
“ I know, Nick was the same way, he has younger sisters but never thought that having the wives of his friends as older sisters would ever be an option. He cares about Leigh and Kristen and Kathy, but something about being able to hang out with them helped him cope with the fact his friends where married. Nick thought when Alex got married that he had lost his friend. He was totally surprised when Kathy continued to hang out with him, playing pranks going to games even coming to Nick’s concerts. Nick was so happy.” Jane said looking at her son.
“ And they will be again.” Denise said.

*******************************************

Katherine sat in the cafetieria looking down at her coffee cup. Her fingers running over the edge of the cup, lost in her own thoughts. Brian reached across the table and placed his hand on her arm.
“ He’s going to be fine. He’s going to come back to you and your son.”
“ I could lose him Brian. I could lose the only man I’ve loved. He’s my heart and soul. I don’t know what I will do if I lose him.” Katherine said never looking up from her cup.
“ Brandon needs you, and he needs his father. You both will be there to raise that little boy.” Howie said placing his arm around Katherine.
“ I want to go back in and sit with him.”
“ Come on we will go back with you.” Howie said. Linda and Leighanne looked at their young friend and then followed their husbands to the room.
“ Howie.”
“ Yeah Ma?” Howie said turning towards his mother.
“ How about we let her sit in there alone with them for a while. She needs time.”
“ That is a good idea. I’ll see if Jane will let her sit in there.” Howie said looking at the doorway, he saw Katherine standing in the doorway her hands on the edge of doorway. Her body shook with fear wondering if she should return to her husband’s side. Denise saw her standing in the doorway and stood and guilded her into the room. Having her sit where she had been sitting and kissing her cheek.
“ How about you sit here with him. I am going out for coffee and some air. Jane how about you come along.” Denise suggested.
“ Sure.” Jane said standing. Jane leaned down and kissed her son’s forehead and left the room pulling the door closed behind her. Katherine held AJ’s hand and moved her fingers over his cheek.
“ My dearest love, I need you. You know that right. I need you more than anyone could ever imagine. You’re the reason for my smile and for our beautiful son. I can’t do this alone. Please don’t leave me.” Katherine said kissing his hand.
Ch 4 by AJsSweety
She couldn’t believe that everything had changed in a blink of an eye. She held AJ’s hand running her finger over his soft skin holding his limp hand in her own.
“ Our son needs you. The boys need you.” Katherine sat there looking from AJ to Nick. She had seen them earlier in the evening, both enjoying each others company discussing Nick’s second solo album and AJ’s first.

*** Flash Back 3 days before ***


Katherine walked threw the large house and smiled. She could hear AJ and Nick discussing up coming albums. She walked into the den with a tray of ice tea and some sandwiches.
“ I thought maybe you boys would be hungry.” She said setting the tray on the small table. AJ reached up and pulled her slender form into his lap.
“ That is wonderful babe.” AJ said his soft lips kissing her neck.
“ Your welcome you both have been working so hard I thought you could use a break.” Katherine said feeling AJ’s hands slid up under her shirt. The shrill cry of their son ruined any moment they had. Katherine giggled and kissed his cheek.
“ He’s probably hungry, it’s about that time again.” Katherine said hurrying from the room. AJ smiled and looked at Nick.
“ Man I cant believe how happy you are.” Nick said shaking his head.
“ Neither can I. I never thought I would ever find a woman like Kathy, she’s everything I’ve ever wanted in a woman. And always willing to be there for me.”
“ She’s perfect man. I’ve never seen your eyes light up like that. And I’ve seen you with a lot of women over the years. And one that is supportive of all of us. I like her.” Nick said smiling brightly.
“ Yeah but that’s my wife.” AJ laughed smacking his friend playfully.
Katherine stood in the hallway holding her small son in her arms, listening to AJ and Nick laugh and fuss over things. Brandon must have heard AJ’s voice cause he began to fuss. Katherine walked into the room and smiled.
“ I think your son wants to see his daddy.” Katherine said holding Brandon out.
“ Can I?” Nick asked standing.
“ Sure Nick.” AJ said stepping aside. Nick took the small baby from Katherine and sat back down. AJ pulled Katherine into his lap and watched his friend.
“ He’ll make a great father some day.” AJ said kissing her cheek.
“ Yeah he will. But for right now he’s a perfect Uncle Nick.” Katherine said resting her head on AJ’s shoulder. AJ ran his fingers threw Katherine’s long red hair. Katherine loved the feel of AJ’s fingers running threw her hair and smiled as his fingers slowly moved over her cheek.
“ You know I love you.” AJ whispered in her ear. Katherine smiled and looked into his soft brown eyes.
“ Yeah I know. And I love you.” Katherine said kissing his lips softly. She ran her fingers threw his hair, moving it out of his eyes.
“ This is cute.” Nick said looking at the couple.
“ Thanks.” AJ said putting his arms around Katherine and looking towards Nick.
“ Sounds like he’s happy.” Katherine said leaning back against AJ again.
“ He’s a very happy little boy.” Nick said kissing the top of Brandon’s head.
“ I am going to let you two get back to work. Don’t work as late tonight.” Katherine said standing and taking Brandon from Nick. Nick smiled and nodded as she left the room.

The next few days seemed to go by quickly as the two friends worked on what was going to happen with the new group album. Nick had decided that they needed to go to the studio the night of the accident. They went there to lay down a few tracks for AJ’s solo. The evening had gone well but it was Nick that had noticed that it had gotten late and they needed to get home before Katherine sent out a search party for them.

************* End Flash Back ***************

Howie watched Katherine threw the window, he looked towards Linda and held his hand out to her.
“ She refuses to leave his side. Brandon and Gretchen will be coming to stay with us.” Howie said to her.
“ Howie it’s been six months. She can’t live her life like this.”
“ She doesn’t want to live it at all without him.” Howie said looking into Linda’s eyes.
“ She has a son to think of.”
“ She doesn’t want to think of the baby. Brandon is learning to walk soon. Baby I promised AJ once that I would care for his family if something ever happened to him.”
“ How can we make that kind of promise? I am pregnant with our first child and we are going to care for someone else’s?” Linda asked
“ Because he’s my best friend. I made a promise. A promise that I will not go back on.” Howie said hoping his wife would understand. Linda looked into the room and tipped her head slightly wondering what was going on within the small room. She turned when she noticed several nurses and a doctor hurrying into the room Nick had been moved into.
“ He’s awake.” Jane said rushing from the room. Brian hurried down the hall when he heard Jane speak of his friend. Howie walked into the room and smiled.
“ Welcome back kid.” Howie said looking at Nick. Nick turned his eyes towards his older friend and gave a weak smile. “ Don’t worry about talking we will wait till your voice returns.” Howie said. He closed his eyes and prayed that this was a sign of things getting better and that maybe AJ would open his eyes and return to them. Katherine walked out of the room where AJ was and stepped into the hall.
“ What’s going on?” She asked holding Brandon close.
“ Nick woke up.” Howie said smiling at her. He hadn’t noticed she had her son. Brandon smiled and reached his hands out to Howie.
“ Did you bring Brandon’s walker?” Katherine asked.
“ I did honey.” Denise said setting the small walker on the floor. Katherine set her son in it and smiled down at him.
“ He’s getting so big. Alex is missing everything.” Katherine said a few tears running down her cheeks.
“ Do you want us to take Brandon home with us?” Howie asked her.
“ No.” Katherine said looking at Howie. Howie nodded and smiled. He was happy that Katherine was taking an interest in Brandon and still able to handle being there to see AJ.
“ Alright hon, if you ever decide that you want us to take him. Just let us know.” Howie said.
“ I know.” Katherine said.
“ Nick wants to talk to you.” Jane said coming from Nick’s room.
“ Who?” Howie asked looking towards Jane.
“ Nick wants to talk to Kathy.” Jane said looking towards Katherine. Katherine nodded and looked down at Brandon.
“ We will watch him. Go on see what Nick wants.” Howie said to her. Katherine walked into Nick’s room and looked at the floor as she stood at the end of his bed.
“ Kathy, look at me.” Nick’s horse voice said. Katherine looked up at Nick, her eyes red from crying.
“ Come here.” Nick said extending his hand to her. Katherine took his hand and sat down on the edge of his bed.
“ He’s still in a coma.” She said looking at him.
“ I know, mom told me. I am so sorry Kathy.” Nick said as he began to cry himself.
“ Don’t cry Nick and this wasn’t your fault.”
“ It was my fault. I was the one that kept AJ out late. It was my fault.” Nick said sniffling trying to control the tears that where rolling down his cheeks.
“ Six months of hell for me. He nearly died twice. We nearly lost you both.” Katherine said as she began to cry. Nick lifted his arm and pulled her close.
“ Alex will wake up soon.” Nick said listening to her cry. Nick looked up towards the door to see Kevin standing in the doorway.
“ What’s wrong?” Nick asked him.
“ He’s awake.” Kevin said, his green eyes glissening with tears. Katherine lifted up from where she was and looked at Kevin.
“ He’s awake?” Katherine said, her voice full of hope.
“ Yeah come on lets go see him.” Kevin said. Katherine stood and looked down at Nick.
“ I’ll come back. Nick it’s great to see you awake.” She said kissing his cheek.
“ Go be with your husband. Tell J I love him.” Nick said watching her leave the room. Nick closed his eyes and let the tears roll down his cheeks. He blamed himself for then accident that night, it was his idea to stop at the coffee shop on the way home.

*********** Flash back the night of the accident. **********

“ Nick we have to get home.” AJ said looking at his young friend.
“ Let’s stop for coffee, man we’ve been at this for hours and your tired I see it in your eyes.” Nick said looking into his friends brown eyes.
“ Alright fine.” AJ said shaking his head as he pulled the truck to a stop in a parking spot. Getting out they both went inside. Once they had ordered their coffee and sat and talked.
“ So are you ever getting a girl man?” AJ asked looking at his younger friend.
“ Yeah I would love to find someone like Kathy.” Nick said with a huge smile.
“ Funny dude.”
“ I mean it. Kathy is the one person that I think everyone woman should be. I know I will never find anyone like her. She’s a lucky woman you found her man.” Nick said
“ Yeah I’m a lucky man for finding her. She means everything to me. And now we’ve got Brandon.” AJ said smiling.
“ That is the cutest baby. I love that kid.” Nick said giggling a bit.
“ You and me both bud.” AJ said sipping his coffee. AJ looked over at his friend and shook his head he could see that Nick was very tired.
“ Come on let’s get home.” AJ said placing some money on the table and standing. Nick nodded and followed his friend from the coffee shop. Nick sat in the passengers seat looking out the side window, watching the dark city go passed. He looked up at AJ as they came to a stop at the last light before they where turn to Nick’s street. AJ pulled away from the corner and looked out the side window just in time to see the headlights of the on coming truck. AJ slammed on the breaks but it didn’t help as the truck hit hard on AJ’s side of the truck. Nick hit his head against the side window as the truck flipped several times before coming to rest against a telephone poll


*************** End Flash Back ************

“ Baby?” Katherine said walking into the room where AJ lay. AJ’s head turned towards Katherine, a weak smile played on his face.
“ Kathy.” AJ said, his voice very horse. The doctor stood checking the monitors.
“ He will be very weak for a while, but waking up is a good sign.”
“ Is there any perminate damage?” Katherine asked holding AJ’s hand.
“ We need to run a few tests.” The doctor said looking at them both. Katherine sat down and placed her hand on AJ’s leg. AJ looked down at her hand as she moved it up and down his leg.
“ Baby what are you doing?” AJ asked.
“ Oh sorry was that bothering your?” Katherine asked, blushing a bit.
“ It probably would if I could feel it.” AJ said looking at her wide-eyed.
“ What?” Katherine said looking at him and then at the doctor.
“ I didn’t feel that.” AJ said again. The doctor moved to the end of the bed and pulled his pen from his pocket and lifted the sheets a bit and moved the top of the pen over the bottom of AJ’s foot waiting for a response. AJ never moved, he just looked at the doctor strangely.
“ Did you feel that?” The doctor asked.
“ Nope. What did you do?” AJ asked.
“ We need to run a few tests. But I am believing that you are paralyzed.” The doctor said looking at AJ.
“ What? No.” AJ said starting to cry. Katherine put her arms around him and held him as they both cried. It couldn’t be possible that AJ was paralyzed.
ch 5 by AJsSweety
“ It could be possible that it’s because you haven’t used them. We are going to run some tests.”
“ Run them.” Kevin said from where he stood.
“ I will have them set up and have them come get you.” The doctor said leaving them alone. Kevin watched Katherine run her fingers threw AJ’s hair as he cried against her chest.
“ Maybe he’s wrong.” Kevin said looking at them. Katherine looked towards him and then back down at AJ.
“ I hope your right.” Katherine said.


Katherine sat in the room alone. Two orderlies had come and took AJ down for his tests. She sat in the large chair with her knees up against her chest. She heard a noise and looked towards the door to see her son making his way into the room giggling. She looked down at her son and lifted him into her arms. She held him close and cried. Kevin walked into the room and saw her holding Brandon.
“ Kathy, everything is going to be fine.” Kevin said kneeling down in front of her.
“ He can’t walk Kevin how can you say things are going to be fine.” Katherine shouted at him. Brandon began to cry as his mother became angry.
“ Because he’s still the man you married and still the same mad that loves you. And that you love.” Kevin said trying to calm her.
“ He is the same man, but I don’t know what he’s feeling.”
“ Then ask him. Talk to him when he comes back. He needs to know that you support him.” Kevin said. Katherine nodded and looked at him.
“ He loves you. I was always hearing that from him, from the very first day he met you. Kathy you’re his world.” Kevin said to her. Katherine knew that much as he was her world too. Linda walked into the room and looked at her friend.
“ He’s not back yet?” She asked her.
“ Not yet.” Katherine said holding Brandon close.
“ How about I take him miss.” Gretchen said coming into the room.
“ No, he’s fine.” Katherine said holding her son. Gretchen sat down in front of her friend.
“ Please miss. I will do this so you can speak to your husband alone.”
“ I suppose.” Katherine said looking towards the doorway to see Nick sitting there in a wheelchair, Linda stood behind him. Nick had heard what was going on and was in tears. Katherine was angry and nearly shouted that it was Nick’s fault that AJ would never walk again, that he should have made sure they where home earlier. Katherine let the tears she’d been holding in roll down her cheeks. Nick looked down at the floor as Linda wheeled him further into the room.
“ What?” Katherine asked looking into Nick’s eyes. He could see the unspoken anger as she looked at him.
“ I’m sorry.” He said softly.
“ Sorry.. Sorry for what Nick? That you can still walk. That my husband will never walk again.” Katherine shouted. Nick looked at her and let tears run down his cheeks.
“ Don’t yell at him this wasn’t his fault.” AJ said as he was wheeled back into the room.
“ Then who can I blame?” Katherine asked dropping to her knees and sobbing.
“ The man that caused the accident. The bartender that gave him his last drink before he left the bar, the bartender that allowed him to leave being that drunk.” AJ said touching her arm. Kevin moved down and helped Katherine up. AJ grabbed Katherine and lifted her into his lap. Kevin motioned everyone from the room and pulled the door closed. AJ ran his fingers threw her dark hair and waited for her crying to slow. His own tears rolling down his cheeks. He knew that his life would be changed if he couldn’t ever walk again.

**************************************************


“ Nick look at me.” Kevin said getting down in front of his young friend.
“ Why? She’s blaiming me for the accident.”
“ She’s angry, AJ’s angry. She didn’t mean it.” Kevin said looking into his friend’s eyes.
“ I blame myself. I should have had us gone home sooner.” Nick said tears running down his cheeks.
“ It would have happened either way. Nick if it was fated that this was going to happen it was going to no matter what happened.” Brian said looking at his friend.
“ It shouldn’t have happened at all.” Nick said crying. Brian put his arms around his friend and held him close as he cried. Brian ran his hand over his young friends forehead.
“ Everything will be alright.” Brian said holding him close.
“ It’s not fair. I will walk and he wont.”
“ He will walk again. We all know Alex enough to know he’s stubborn enough to walk again.” Brian said to him. “ Come on buddy lets get you back to your room.” Brian said wheeling his friend down the hall.
“ This is going to be hard on them both.” Kevin said sitting down. Denise sat down next to him, holding her grandson in her arms.
“ They will make it threw this.” Denise said bouncing the baby on her knee.
“ How? They all blame the other.” Kevin asked looking at her.
“ Alex doesn’t blame Nick for this accident.” Denise said.
“ But Nick blames himself.” Kevin said looking down the wall towards here Nick had just gone with Brian.


***********************************************

AJ held Katherine close letting his own tears run down his cheeks.
“ What did the doctor say?” Katherine asked once she had stopped crying.
“ How about if I answer that.” The doctor said coming into the room.
“ Then explain.” Katherine said from her place in AJ’s lap.
“ We did some x-rays and an MRI. The spinal cord was not broken, but there is some major damage. There is a large amount of swelling around the spinal cord and until it comes down we are unable to determine if the paralasis is permante. But we want to start you on immediate physical therapy.” The doctor said looking at them.
“ When can we take him home?” Katherine asked.
“ A few days. But I want you to be ready and able to handle his minor disability for now. If and when his feeling returns we will be helping till then.” The doctor said. Katherine nodded and leaned her head against AJ’s shoulder. She had missed the feeling of his arms around her. She kissed his neck lightly and waited for the doctor to leave.
“ I want him in physical therapy this afternoon.”
“ What about Nick?” AJ asked.
“ Mr. Carter will be joining you for a short time till he can get stronger. With you both spending as long as you did in the coma we felt it easier.” The doctor said.
“ I want Nick to stay with us.” Katherine said looking at AJ.
“ Consider it done.” AJ said holding her close.
“ I am going to go talk to him.” Katherine said kissing her and heading out of the room. Slowly make her way to where Nick was. She knocked on the door and waited a moment. Brian opened the door and looked at her.
“ I need to talk to Nick.” Katherine said looking at the floor. Brian moved aside and let her come into the room.
“ Nicky.” Katherine started as she entered the room. Nick looked towards her and then back down at the white sheets.
“ What?” He asked his voice harsh and dripping with anger.
“ I guess I deserved that. I am so sorry Nick, I never should have blamed you for what happened. Alex doesn’t blame you. He showed me that I should blame the man that caused both you be in your coma. Or even the bartender that allowed the man to leave the bar drunk. I never should have blamed you for this. Nicky I am sorry. I also want to extend an invitation so that you can stay with us during the time your getting better. If you don’t want to I totally understand. I am sorry.” Katherine said turning on her heal and heading for the door. Brian watched the tension between them and then spoke.
“ Nick talk to her.” Brian said looking at him. Nick whipped the tears away from his face.
“ Kathy.” Nick said softly. Katherine turned and faced him, tears streamed down her cheeks.
“ Kathy, I would love to stay with you and Alex. I am sorry.” Nick said reaching his hand out to her. Katherine stood where she was in the doorway. Brian walked over and took her hand in his and pulled her back over to next to Nick. Nick pulled her down into seated position next to him. He ran his fingers over her cheek whipping the tears off her face.
“ We will be able to get Alex back on his feet. I promise you this Alex will be walking again.” Nick said looking at her. Katherine smiled a bit and then looked at her hands.
“ I want that more than anything in the world, we can make it happen.” Katherine said kissing his cheek and then heading from the room.
Ch 6 by AJsSweety
Katherine held Brandon in her arms as she watched AJ moving around the large house in his wheelchair. It had been a little over a month and AJ was getting around pretty good. She had moved things around and arranged the house so AJ could move around freely without worry of running into things.
“ Hey Kathy.” Nick said walking out onto the porch. He smiled as he sat down next to her, his cane resting against the large table.
“ Hey Nick, how are you feeling?” Katherine asked looking towards him.
“ Better today. I think staying here was the best idea.”
“ Yeah, you seem to be getting Alex to do things I didn’t think I could.” Katherine said setting Brandon down. Brandon stood on his shaky legs and then walked slowly towards the door. Katherine smiled at watched him.
“ Isn’t it great that he is walking.”
“ Yeah it is. And I see he found daddy.” Nick said as Katherine watched AJ lift his son onto his lap.
“ Daddy.” Brandon said giggling. AJ kissed his son and smiled.
“ Yep daddy. You said your first word.” AJ said smiling. Katherine came up to them both and kissed AJ and then Brandon.
“ So it seems. Looks like our son is learning to talk.”
“ Yeah he is. I am so proud of him.” AJ said kissing his son.
“ And I am proud of you. I have never been prouder of you.” Katherine said kissing AJ passionately.
“ I will walk again.” AJ proclaimed happily.
“ Yes you will.” Katherine said. She watched AJ move around the porch and then heading back into the large house, his son still riding in his lap and clapping happily.
“ Cute aren’t they?” Nick said coming up behind her.
“ Yeah they are.” Katherine said.
“ What are we going to do?” Nick asked suddenly.
“ Do about what?” Katherine asked looking at him.
“ Alex has been talking to himself lately. I mean totally.” Nick said looking at her.
“ He’s always done that.”
“ Not like now. He’s getting weird. Maybe you should go and talk to him.” Nick said looking at her.
“ Alex is doing fine Nick. Don’t worry.” Katherine said looking at him.
“ Please just talk to him.”
“ Alright.” Katherine said hugging him and heading to where AJ had just gone. She made her way into the room where she knew AJ would be sitting and sure enough he sat with his eyes gazing out the window while their small toddler crawled on the floor.
“ Hey babe.” Katherine said sitting down in the chair near him.
“ Hi.” AJ said a bit of sadness in his voice.
“ What’s wrong?” Katherine asked.
“ Nothing I’m fine.” AJ said
“ No your not. Talk to me. You’ve never had a problem talking to me before.”
“ What are we going to do if I never walk again?” AJ asked looking at her.
“ We deal with it. Alex I married you for the man you are. Weather it be you walking or in that chair. I will always love you.” Katherine said touching his arm.
“ You never want to touch me the way you used to.” AJ said looking at her. Gretchen looked into the room and saw AJ and Katherine talking quietly. She smiled down at Brandon.
“ I’ll take you to your room so mommy and daddy can talk.” Gretchen said lifting the giggling child into her arms.
“ Thanks.” Katherine said looking at her and then back at AJ. Gretchen closed the door leaving the young couple alone.
“ You never want to touch me.” AJ said looking at her. Katherine moved closer to him and placed herself in his lap.
“ It’s not that I don’t want to. It’s..it’s well I’m afraid of hurting you.” Katherine said her voice low.
“ Baby you cant hurt me. I know that I am in this chair.” AJ said running his fingers threw her hair.
“ I am always worried I might hurt you.” Katherine said sadly. AJ slid his hand up under her shirt, his fingers moving over her breast. A low moan escaping her lips, she closed her eyes and arched her back to his touch. AJ pulled her shirt over her head and began kissing her neck, his fingers working the clasp of her bra, finally having it join her shirt on the floor. AJ kissed her neck and began moving down licking and sucking on one breast and then giving the other the same treatment. Katherine arched her back and moaned loudly.
“ Oh Alex.” Katherine moaned. “ Hold on.” Katherine said looking into his lustfilled eyes.
“ What?” He asked afraid that she was changing her mind. Katherine lifted him from the chair and placed him on the bed. Smiling she reached up and unbuttoned his pants. Her eyes danced with desire as she looked into his deep brown eyes. Her hands moving up the inside of his legs. She watched his eyes widen and then a smile play on his face as she slipped her hands further up his leg. She kissed the inside of his leg as she reached his erection. Moving her other hand up she massaged his balls, feeling both become hard. She smiled up at him as she kissed her way up his body. AJ smiled as she looked into his eyes and kissed his lips. A passionate kiss shared between them a first in along time. Katherine looked down and smiled as she slid herself over his erection. Her hands resting on his shoulders as she rocked her hips as she felt his hands on her hips.
“ I love you Alex.” Katherine said as she moved her hips faster. AJ closed his eyes and let the feeling flow threw his body, he could feel her body tense up against his. Katherine rocked faster as she felt him grow harder.
“ Alex my love. Oh God.” Katherine said throwing her head back as AJ held onto her his fingers digging into her skin.
“ Come on baby.” AJ said holding on to her tighter. Katherine leaned down and kissed him sweetly as she rocked faster.
“ No.” AJ said looking at her.
“ What’s wrong?” Katherine asked looking down at him. He moved his hands and finally slid her off his lap.
“ I can’t” AJ said tears rolling down his cheeks.
“ Let me do all the work baby.” Katherine said looking at him.
“ No.” AJ said rolling away from her. Katherine looked at him, placing her hand on his shoulder she turned him towards her.
“ Alex please talk to me.” Katherine begged him.
“ I can’t do it Kathy, I can’t even feel what you where doing.” AJ said tears streaming down his cheeks.
“ Oh Alex.” Katherine said pulling him into her arms. His head rested on her shoulder, his tears soaked her hair.
“ I am useless.” AJ said to her.
“ No your not. The feeling will return. I love you more than anything in this world.” Katherine said kissing him passionately. “ Please never forget that we are your family. Brandon wants his daddy around.” Katherine said running her finger over his cheek.
“ I know. Our little boy is learning to walk. I want to be there to help him walk. To hold his fingers as he’s trying to walk to my mom.”
“ You will get to do all those things and more my love.” Katherine said. She held him close and ran her fingers threw his hair. She felt his soft sobs calm down, she held him as he finally drift off to sleep. She waited till he was sound asleep and slid off the bed pulling on her robe she covered his body to the waist with a sheet and looked at him. He was the most beautiful man she had ever seen and watching the candle light dance on his tanned skin.
“ I love you Alex.” Katherine said turning and leaving the room. She walked down the hall pulled her robe closed she stepped into the living room. She smiled seeing Denise playing with Brandon.
“ Hi.” Katherine said coming into the room.
“ Hi, enjoy yourselves?” Denise asked looking at her. Katherine’s eyes filled with tears and she looked away from her.
“ Yeah.” She lied.
“ What’s wrong?” Denise asked moving towards her. She turned Katherine around to face her. “ What is wrong?” She asked again.
“ He thinks he’s a failure. He couldn’t finish what he started.” Katherine said. Denise sadly looked at her and then pulled Katherine in a warm hug.
“ Honey he will be fine. He just needs time.”
“ I know, I told him that I love him for who he is not what he can or can’t do.” Katherine said.
“ That’s all we can do for now. He has to want to do this himself.” She told her. Katherine nodded.
“ I’m going to get myself something to drink. Thirsty?” Katherine asked looking towards Nick. Her eyes drifted around the room to find Howie and Linda, Kevin and Brian.
“ I’ll help you.” Linda said heading out of the room with her friend.
“ Daddy.” Brandon said holding his arms up at Denise.
“ Daddy is sleeping sweetheart.” Denise said picking him up.
‘ Uncle Alex ok?” Duane asked her.
“ Yeah Uncle Alex is sleeping. He’s tired. How about you take Brandon to his play room.”
“ Ok Grandma Denise.” Duane said walking over and taking Brandon’s hand and leading the smaller boy down the hall. She couldn’t believe that there was about a years age different between them. Duane was already taller than Brandon by a good six inches.
“ He’s going to be a tall boy.” Denise said looking towards Howie.
“ Yeah he is. He’s going to take after his mom.” Howie said looking towards the kitchen. The height difference between the two friends was scary, Linda stood a short bit over six foot where Katherine was an inch taller than AJ.
“ How about we take Alex out later?” Kevin suggested.
“ That might do him some good.” Denise said with a smile.
“ Do who some good?” Katherine asked coming into the room with glasses of tea.
“ I thought it was a good idea if maybe we got Alex out of the house for the night.” Kevin said looking at Katherine.
“ That is a great idea. I will talk to Alex later about it.” Katherine said giving everyone a glass of tea. Kevin watched Katherine’s movements and noticed the way she moved, the tiredness showing in her every movement.
“ When was the last time you slept all night?” Kevin asked her.
“ What?” Katherine asked bringing a shaky hand to her glass.
“ When did you sleep last?” Nick asked understanding what Kevin was asking for.
“ I sleep every night.”
“ No you don’t. Kathy I’ve heard you crying after Alex has gone to sleep. When have you slept for more than a few hours?” Nick pressed.
“ Before the accident. Alright Nick, before the accident and I nearly lost the man I love and one of my best friends. A day I will never forget as long as I live.” Katherine said turning away and heading up to her bedroom. Opening the door she looked at AJ and smiled. He was her salvation the one reason that she continued to live, the reason that she even loved anyone.
“ Hey.” AJ said seeing her standing in the doorway.
“ Hey I didn’t know you where awake.” She said with a small smile.
“ Yeah I woke you right after you left. Baby talk to me.”
“ I would say the same to you. But it seems you’ve already done that.” She said looking at him. AJ was leaning up against the headboard his pillows behind his head. Katherine slid into the bed next to him. She lay her head on his chest, she felt his fingers going threw her hair.
“ Kathy, talk to me baby.” AJ said feeling her tears on her chest.
“ It’s nothing Alex. I just want you to get stronger. I don’t want you to feel that you’re a failure.” Katherine said looking into his eyes.
“ I know. And I will be able to feel less like one the more I try.” AJ said running his fingers over her cheek. Katherine smiled slightly sending sensations threw AJ’s body.
“ Kevin wants to know if you would like to go out with the guys later.”
“ Do you want me to?” AJ asked her.
“ I want you happy. The guys think you getting out of the house for a while will do that.” Katherine said tracing his 69 tattoo with her finger.
“ Getting out might be good. But I want to be sure if it’s good for you?” AJ asked again.
“ It is. I will spend the evening with Brandon and Linda. Everything will be alright.” Katherine said looking up into his brown eyes.
“ Alright then let Kevin know I will go out. I need to take a shower.” AJ said looking towards the bathroom. Katherine smiled and ran her hand down his chest.
“ Want some help?” Katherine asked with a sly smile on her face. AJ kissed her lips lightly and smiled.
“ Yeah that would be nice. I can’t rightly do it by myself.” AJ said looking at his legs.
“ I know. Come on let’s get you cleaned.” Katherine said helping him into his wheelchair and then towards the bathroom. Smiling at him she helped him into the tub and started the water. She climbed into the tub with him, she grabbed the large sponge and began running it over his body. She smiled and looked up into his eyes.
“ Let’s see what I can do here.” She said running the sponge over his chest slowly. Her hands moved over his body as she soaped his entire body. His hands shakily moved up her body, slowly caressing her breasts. Katherine moaned as she moved her soapy hands down his legs. She watched his reactions to her hands touching his body. She watched his movements as her hands moved up between his legs, the reaction she had hoped for wasn’t what she was getting. Groaning in frustration she moved her hands back up his chest and then grabbed the shampoo and washed his hair. AJ let a few tears roll down his cheeks as Katherine moved behind him rubbing his back. She rinsed him off and then kissed his cheek. Shutting off the water she reached for a large towel she pulled it around him and then lifted his body into the chair that sat in the room. She looked into his brown eyes. She could see the deep sadness that was in them, as she toweled off his body.
“ What’s the matter?” Katherine asked looking at him.
“ Nothing I am fine.” AJ said smiling at her. Katherine smiled as she helped him stand enough to pull on his boxers and then his pants. Kneeling down in front of him she pulled on his socks.
“ I remember when my touch turned you on.” Katherine said in a low voice. AJ moved his hand over her cheek.
“ It still does just not in the same way it used to. Never think that I don’t love you.”
“ I know, and remember no matter what I love you for the man you are. I love everything you are.” Katherine said kissing his lips.
“ Come on let’s go pick out my shirt.” AJ said. Katherine nodded and lifted him into his wheelchair and watched him wheel himself expertly into the other room. Moving to the closet he opened the door and looked inside.
“ How about this one?” He asked sticking his arm out with a black and white shirt.
“ Ewe no, I hate that shirt.” Katherine giggled. AJ stuck his head out of the door and then stuck out his tongue at her. This caused Katherine to giggle louder and fall onto the floor. AJ snickered and looked back into the closet.
“ How about this one?” AJ asked pulling a black shirt from the closet.
“ Much better.” Katherine said once she had caught her breath. AJ smiled and pulled the shirt over his head. Katherine smiled as she sat down on his lap and kissed his cheek.
“ Come on let’s go downstairs.” AJ said heading towards the door. Katherine giggled as he kissed her neck again.
“ I seriously need you to shave your beard cause that tickles. And I can walk.” She giggled.
“ Nah I like you right where you are.” AJ said as he made his way to the small lift that helped him up the stairs. Positioning the chair he rode down it with Katherine in his lap. Once they came to the bottom of the ramp he wheeled them into the room where everyone where talking.
“ Hey guys.” AJ said smiling at everyone. Kevin snickered and shook his head at the site of the young couple. AJ wheeling around the room, Katherine positioned in his lap.
“ How about going out with us tonight J.” Howie said looking at his friend.
“ Sure, Kathy already asked that and I have no problem with that.” AJ said taking the glass of tea she had offered. Katherine stood behind him with her hands on his shoulders.
“ What are you guys going to do tonight?” Katherine asked smiling at them.
“ We are thinking of just taking Alex out for a night on the town is that alright?”
“ Fine with me, how about you babe?” Katherine asked AJ. AJ just nodded and looked at his legs.
“ It’s going to be chilly tonight do you want a coat?” Nick asked his friend.
“ Yeah we can bring one alone. Come let’s get out of here before I change my mind.” AJ said wheeling himself towards the door.
“ We wont be out late I promise.” Kevin said looking at Katherine.
“ Thanks Kevin.” Katherine said watching them leave. Once they where gone Katherine sat down on the couch and buried her face in her hands and began to cry. Linda and Denise sat down on either side of her and tried to comfort her.
“ Hey, everything is getting better. It’s going to be better.”
“ He was crying while I helped him shower. Something that he used to enjoy doing with me. His hands shake while he’s trying to touch me in a loving way. I don’t know if that is part of what happened or if it is he’s scared. He..he doesn’t even get turned on anymore. I feel like a failure.” Katherine said sobbing.
“ Your not a failure give him time Kathy. No more than my son is a failure. I heard him talking.” Denise said holding her close. Katherine nodded and looked down the hall to where her son was.
“ He’s fine. Duane is with him.”
“ They are good friends. Just like Alex and Howie.” Katherine said smiling slightly.
Ch 7 by AJsSweety
Nick looked over at AJ and frowned, AJ didn’t look happy at all. They still sat in the car as they drove into town. Kevin pulled the large suburban to a stop, looking in the rearview mirror he waited for AJ to respond to the stop.
“ You ready? This is the first time you’ve been out of the house since the accident.” Kevin said looking at his friend.
“ Yeah I’m ready.” AJ said as Nick climbed from the truck. Howie reached in the back and pulled AJ’s chair out. AJ slid towards the edge of the seat as Nick reached out for him.
“ No, I’ll do it myself.” AJ said looking at him. Nick nodded and stepped back, AJ inhaled and placed his arms out on each side and swung himself into his chair.
“ Man your stronger than you where before.”
“ I already had strong arms D.” AJ said raising an eyebrow and wheeling himself into the club. Howie’s brother looked up from behind the bar and smiled at them.
“ Hey great to see you out and about Alex.” Jon said looking at AJ. AJ nodded and looked around.
“ Your club D?” AJ said looking at his friend.
“ I figured it was safer, unless you want to go somewhere else?” Howie said looking at his friend.
“ Nah Tabo is fine.” AJ said wheeling himself towards a booth in the back corner. Finally getting himself situated he waited for the others to join him. Nick sat next to him as everyone else moved and sat around the table. Jon decided to be the one to wait on them. Howie looked up and smiled at his brother.
“ What would you guys like?” Jon asked.
“ Tea is fine.” Howie said looking at him. Jon looked at the others once he had gotten their orders he went to make the drinks.
“ Vodka?” Howie said looking at AJ.
“ I need it.” AJ said shrugging his shoulders.
“ No you don’t.” Jon said setting a glass of Coke in front of him.
“ This fucking sucks.” AJ said looking at the floor.
“ You will get better J.” Howie said looking at his friend.
“ Better? I couldn’t even satisfy my wife. She tried to say that she could do all the work but that’s not the point. I am useless.” AJ said looking at his friends.
“ Your not useless. Have you spoke to the doctors about this?
“ Not really. I have an appointment to see him next week. I don’t want to. Cause I know he’s going to tell me this chair is perminate.” AJ said softly.
“ He wont your getting stronger everyday Alex. Just let us help you.”
“ I shouldn’t have to ask for help. This isn’t fair.” AJ said slamming his hands onto the top of the table. AJ pushed himself away from the table and wheeled himself from the club. AJ looked around and wheeled himself down the street.
“ We have to go after him. He can’t wheel himself home, Kathy would never forgive me for that.” Kevin said standing.
“He needs time. Let’s give him that time.” Howie suggested.
“ Alright but not long.” Kevin said sitting back down.


AJ rolled down the street looking around seeing young couples holding hands and walking down the street.
“ This fucking sucks.” AJ growled as he moved further down the street. He looked at the bus stop and saw a mother and child sitting there waiting for the bus. The child looked and smiled and waved at AJ.
“ Hi Sweetie.” AJ said, the little girl seemed to blush and move closer to her mom.
“ You AJ McLean of the Backstreet Boys aren’t you?” The woman asked.
“ Yeah that’s me.” AJ said smiling a bit. The woman looked and noticed AJ was sitting in a wheelchair.
“ How long?” She asked leaving an open ended question.
“ I was in a car accident a little over seven months ago. I spent six months of that time in a coma. My wife and son thought they had lost me.” AJ said looking at the woman.
“ We saw the news report of the accident. But they never said anything about you being paralyzed.” She said
“ I didn’t find out about that till after I had woke up. Kathy has been there for me everyday. Always trying her best to help me.” AJ said a smile playing on his sad features.
“ She is a beautiful woman and very lucky.”
“ She is beautiful but I’m the lucky one.” AJ said. “ How old is your little one?”
“ She’s five. How old is your son?”
“ He will be a year in two months. He’s already walking a little and says daddy.” AJ said.
“ That is a cute age. I remember when my Becky was that age. Oh here’s our bus. It was nice talking to you AJ.” She said taking her daughters hand.
“ It’s Alex and thank you. Thank you for listening. It was nice of you.” AJ said reaching into his wallet and handing her a small card.
“ If you ever want to visit.” AJ said with a huge smile.
“ Thanks. Have a nice evening Alex.” She said heading onto the bus. Becky smiled and waved once she had seated. AJ waved at her and waited for the bus to pull away. Looking in the direction the bus had gone, finally he sighed and headed back towards the club. He smiled a bit when he looked and saw the guys walking towards him.
“ We worried.” Howie said looking at his friend.
“ I’m fine and I had a nice chat with a lady and her daughter. I want to go home.” AJ said.
“ Alright. Come on guys.” Kevin said as they headed towards the truck. AJ sighed thinking that he really needed to talk to Katherine he felt he had been snapping at her for no reason. Things the others hadn’t seen, the way he’d been treating her, like she was treating him like a baby. He knew he wasn’t a baby and had to admit he needed help.

******************************************

Katherine sat alone in AJ’s small den. Denise had long since gone home. Linda had gone into the spare bedroom and lay down, she had gotten tired. Katherine sat there in darkness with her knees against her chest listening to the noises around the house. Several noises where unusual, Katherine stood and walked towards the sound.
“ Alex?” She called out as she made her way down the stairs. She heard rustling around and wondered what was going on.
“ Alex, babe what’s going on down there?” Katherine asked heading down the stairs. She heard who ever it was become quiet. Shrugging her shoulders she reached for the light switch on the wall at the base of the stairs. A hand came from nowhere connecting with her jaw causing Katherine to stumble backwards. Before she could recover another fist connected with her, falling to the floor with a loud groan. Katherine attempted to stand when she felt a kick in the ribs that dropped her back down onto the floor. Curling up trying to protect herself as best she could Katherine felt another kick and then something hard hit her in the head and stars danced in front of her eyes.
“ Bitch should have stayed in bed.” She heard a voice say just before she blacked out.

********************************************************

Kevin pulled down the street towards AJ’s home. He spotted an ambulance drive past them heading in the direction of the hospital.
“ Something is going on around here.” Kevin said looking at Howie.
“ Yeah I noticed. We’ve got a problem.” Howie said pointing towards AJ’s home. In front was two police cars and what looked like a news crew.
“ Great what is going on?” AJ said looking towards his house. Linda stood outside holding Brandon in her arms and holding Duane’s hand. Kevin pulled the truck to the stop, climbing from the truck he walked towards an officer while Nick and Howie helped AJ from the truck. AJ wheeled himself towards where Kevin stood.
“ What happened?” AJ asked. Hoping what ever happened wasn’t bad.
“ Mr. McLean?” The officer asked.
“ Yes. Can you tell me what happened?” AJ asked his voice full of fear.
“ We received a call about a break in. A hysterical young woman told the dispatcher that she had come down stairs to find a young woman unconscious and bleeding on the floor.” The officer said. AJ looked past him to see Linda standing there and then it hit him like a wave as he realized that it was his wife that had been in the ambulance.
“ Oh my god.” AJ said turning around.
“ It was Kathy?” Kevin said looking down at him.
“ Yeah it was. Mrs. McLean was rushed to the hospital after sustaining a sever blow to the head. She had multipul abrasions on her face and body. It seems whom ever broke into your home, she may have startled them and they beat her for it.” The officer said looking at the group.
“ Was she alive?” AJ asked his voice very shaky.
“ She was stable when they left. I can’t really tell you.” The officer said. AJ nodded his understanding to him and turned towards Linda.
“ You alright?” AJ asked her.
“ Y.Yeah I am fine.” She said looking down at him. “ There was blood all over the floor. The only way I knew there was anything wrong was when I came downstairs I saw the lamp tipped over and Kathy lay on her side on the floor.” Linda explained. AJ closed his eyes and tried to remain calm.
“ Didn’t you girls set the alarm before going to bed?” AJ asked.
“ Kathy hadn’t gone to bed. She was in your study. I guess she had heard a noise and headed down the stairs.” Linda said. Howie placed his hand on AJ’s shoulders.
“ How about we go to the hospital and see if she’s alright?”
“ Yeah that would be good.” AJ said nodding his head. Brian wheeled him back towards the truck.
“ Mr. McLean we will be down later to speak to your wife about the break-in.”
“ Yeah fine.” AJ said as Brian moved around the truck to put the wheelchair in the back.


Kevin left the truck in a spot after he had dropped off AJ at the entrance of the Emergency room. Nick followed behind Kevin with his head down.
“ Maybe we should have stayed home.” Nick said quietly.
“ Nick this could have happened even if we where there.” Kevin said putting his arm over his shoulder. “ Come on lets go see if Kathy’s ok.”
“ I hope she is.” Nick said as they entered the emergency room. AJ sat his eyes full of tears both men panicked wondering if something bad had happened.
“ J what’s wrong?”
“ She’s been moved upstairs.” AJ said looking at them.
“ Upstairs where? To her own room?” Nick asked.
“ ICU. She’s still not awake, twenty-seven stitches in her head. We have to go upstairs to talk to her doctor.” AJ said looking at them. Kevin nodded and walked towards the elevator.
“ Do you want me to push?” Howie asked.
“ No I’ll do it.” AJ said following behind Kevin. Brian Linda and Nick fell in behind them. Linda had made a quick call and had gotten Gretchen to take the kids. The older woman was more than happy to take the kids to let them find out if Katherine was hurt.
“ We are here to find out about information about Katherine McLean?” AJ said once he had stopped at the nurse’s station.
“ Are you family?” The young nurse asked.
“ I am her husband. What is wrong with my wife?” AJ asked again.
“ I will get the doctor.” The nurse said. “ Please have a seat in the waiting room.” She said. Kevin nodded and led the group towards the small waiting room.
“ Are you all family of Mrs. McLean?” A young man in a white lab coat asked.
“ I am her husband how bad is she?”
“ She was bleeding pretty badly from the wound on her head. That required 27 stitches to close. We aren’t totally sure what caused it. She’s got three cracked ribs and a broken wrist. She is currently unconscious, but not in a coma. Placing her here in ICU was more for safety as she also has a collapsed lung and is on a resperator. We have her heavily medicated right now so she can hear you but will not respond. It’s to help her heal.” The doctor explained.
“ But she will get better?” AJ asked.
“ Yes sir she will, but it will take time. I saw from the name that you’ve been here before.” The doctor said looking at AJ.
“ Yes we have. My friend and I where in an accident about 9 or so months ago.”
“ Mr. McLean I promise you at this point we’ve done all we can for your wife and she’s in the best care. Would you like to see her?” The doctor asked him. AJ nodded and followed the doctor down the hallway. AJ wheeled himself into the room and took his wife’s hand in his own.
“ My love, this seems like a bad dream, just a few months ago you yourself sat here thinking I was going to leave you. Now it’s me sitting here thinking the same.” AJ said kissing her hand. Where had his life gone wrong? What had he done to deserve this kind of punishment? He had always had an ego about his fame and knew that someday it would come back to haunt him, but he didn’t think that would mean it taking away his family. AJ lay his head down on the bed and closed his eyes.
Ch 8 by AJsSweety
He didn’t even know how long he’d been sleeping when he felt a hand slowly move over his face. His eyes slowly opened and focus on the face that was now looking at him.
“ Baby your awake.” AJ said smiling at her.
“ Yes I am” She said with a huge smile on her face. AJ leaned forward and kissed her passionately, the smile that spread on his face as he ran his fingers over her face. He couldn’t believe it. It was a few short hours ago that he had come in there and was weeping over his wife. Hoping she would be all right. Now he was holding her hand and seeing that she was all right and wide awake and smiling at him.

*********************************************

AJ’s eyes snapped open and he looked towards Katherine, her eyes still closed the tube down her throat helping her breath. AJ closed his eyes and let a few tears run down his cheeks.
“ It was only a dream. Baby, please come back to me. Now I know how you felt when I was gone.” AJ said running his fingers over her cheek. “ My love.” AJ said kissing her cheek. He looked up to see the doctor come into the room.
“ Good morning Mr. McLean.” The doctor said looking at him. AJ rubbed his eyes and looked at the doctor.
“ Morning?” AJ asked looking at him.
“ Yes you’ve been sleeping here all night. We didn’t have the heart to wake you.” The doctor said. “ I am Doctor Simon I was put in charge of your wife’s care. She seems to have started to wake. I am going to remove the tube and be back in about an hour” Dr. Simon said looking at him. AJ nodded and whipped the tears away from his face.
“ I am warning you when she wakes we aren’t sure what is going to happen.” He said looking at AJ. AJ looked at him expectantly. The doctor removed the tube and checked Katherine’s vitals and then left the room, leaving AJ alone in the silent room. The only noise braking the silence was the machine that keep up the rythem of Katherine’s heart rate. AJ laid his head down on the bed again and closed his eyes. He woke with a start when he heard the door open.
“ How’s she doing?” Howie asked in a whisper.
“ They removed the tube this morning.” AJ said noting that it was later in the afternoon.
“ I noticed, come on Linda said she would sit in here with Kathy while I took you out for a while. I know you haven’t eaten since last night.”
“ I can’t leave her not alone.”
“ You’re not leaving her alone. Alex she’s going to be here with Linda.” Howie said to his friend. AJ looked at Katherine again and then at Howie. Howie placed his hands on the back of AJ’s chair and pulled him away from the bed. AJ was about to protest when he decided against it. Howie looked at his wife and shook his head, he knew this was hard on AJ. Everything lately was hard on AJ.




“ J, come on talk to me.”
“ My life is falling apart.” AJ said looking at his friend.
“ Your life isn’t falling apart.” Howie reassured his friend.
“ The hell it isn’t D. My wife is in the ICU ward cause we went out last night. I should have stayed home.” AJ said
“ Alex listen to yourself. Your making it sound like this was your fault.” Howie said.
“ It is my fault. My life spun out of control when I went out with Nick that night almost a year ago. I nearly lost my life instead I lost the use of my legs.” AJ said a mixture of anger and sadness in his voice. Howie wasn’t sure what to do for his friend. It almost seemed if AJ’s depression was getting worse. They had been sitting there close to two hours when Howie looked towards the doorway and saw Linda standing there. Howie stood and hurried towards her.
“ What’s wrong?”
“ She’s awake.” Linda said. Howie looked at her and smiled but that smile faded when he saw she wasn’t smiling.
“ What’s wrong? Linda if she’s awake that’s good.”
“ She can’t remember anything.”
“ As in what happened at the house?” Howie asked.
“ As in absolutely nothing. Her memory is whipped clean. Gone completely. The doctor is hoping it will return on it’s own. Howie she didn’t even know who I was, or even who Brandon was.” Linda said bursting into tears.
“ Oh god. How do I tell Alex?” Howie said turning and looking towards his friend. AJ turned around wondering what Howie was doing and he saw Howie holding Linda in his arms and he could see Linda was crying. AJ wheeled himself towards them.
“ What happened? Linda what happened?” AJ said looking at her. Linda looked down into AJ’s concerned brown eyes, she wasn’t sure how to tell him.
“ Kathy is awake. But she’s got amnesia. She can’t remember anything at all.”
“ Nothing?” AJ asked looking at her. If she couldn’t remember him, he had truly lost everything.
“ Nothing at all. I am so sorry Alex.”
“ I have to see her.” AJ said wheeling himself down the hall towards Katherine’s room. He saw the doctor exit the room.
“ How is she?” AJ asked looking at the doctor.
“ She’s awake, very weak but awake. I am sorry to say she’s got Amnesia, I am thinking it happened when she received the blow to the head. I am hoping it’s temporary. But only time will tell. I am very sorry Mr. McLean.” The doctor said placing his hand on AJ’s shoulder. AJ nodded and wheeled into the room. He let a small smile play on his face as he wheeled to the bed, she was awake, she was alive right now that was all that mattered.
“ Hello my love.” AJ said taking her hand in his. Katherine looked at him with confused eyes but smiled.
“ Hello.” She said sweetly. AJ brushed her hair from her face and kissed her hand. “ And you are?” She said. With that response AJ’s heart sank.
“ I am your husband, Alex. We have a son together named Brandon. And we’ve been married for 4 years now.” AJ said looking at her, his finger tracing the gold band she wore. He was happy the medical people where kind to leave the ring in place, but her lovely engagement ring was gone he had that in his pocket.
“ Really? That other woman said I was Katherine McLean and I was injured in my own home.”
“ That is true. Someone broke into our home, while I was out and you must have spooked them, they struck you over the head and now you’re here.”
“ My arm is in a cast.”
“ Yes my love, the people that broke in broke your wrist and three of your ribs. You will heal, but I want that to be in our home with me.” AJ said running his finger over her ring. Katherine smiled a bit and raised her hand and moved her fingers over his cheek.
“ We have a child?”
“ Yes, a son that will be a year old very soon. He’s just learning how to walk and can say daddy.” AJ said with pride in his voice.
“ His name is Brandon that is what I was told.” Katherine said to him.
“ Yes that is his name.” AJ said. He noted she never once asked about the chair he sat in or even how it happened.
“ You haven’t always been in that.” Katherine said her fingers moving over the edge of the wheelchair AJ sat in.
“ Nope. I am a singer and dancer by trade. But an accident took away my dream of dancing ever again.” AJ said looking at her. Katherine whipped the tear that had moved down his cheek.
“ Yes you will. You’re a strong man and you will walk again.” Katherine said with confidence in her voice. AJ noticed the way she had said it, he could hear a bit of his Katherine in her voice the way she had been.
“ I only wish that to be true some day.” AJ said a touch of hope renewed in his voice. “ I will be right back you rest now. I am going to call my mother and see if she can bring Brandon over. He’s probably wanting to see his mommy.” AJ said kissing her hand again.
“ Alright I will rest. Hurry back, I feel alone here.” Katherine said watching him wheel from the room, Katherine closed her eyes and let tears run down her cheeks. She didn’t remember him, but she could feel the love he had for her, it was deep and pure. She hoped she would remember him and the loved they shared.


“ How is she?” Kevin asked standing in the waiting room.
“ She’s awake, but she remembers nothing.” AJ said looking at them sadly.
“ Where are you going?” Nick asked.
“ Calling Gretchen to see if she’s still got Brandon or if my mom has him.”
“ Kathy remembered him?”
“ No, but I thought he might help her remember.” AJ said going towards the phone. He dialed his mom’s number first.
“ Hello?”
“ Hey Ma is Gretchen over there?”
“ Yeah hon she is what’s wrong?”
“ Kathy is awake but she’s lost her memory ma.” AJ said trying to keep the tears from his voice.
“ Oh baby, Gretchen and I will be there shortly.” Denise said hanging up the phone. AJ hung up the phone and closed his eyes, tears rolled down his cheeks thinking that his world had just come to a crashing halt. AJ sat there near the phone and cried harder as he thought about what was happening with Katherine. Howie looked towards his friend and moved closer to him.
“ Hey it’s going to be alright.” Howie said hugging his friend. AJ looked into his friend’s concerned brown eyes and let the tears flow more.
“ How can you say that?” AJ asked. “ How can you think that everything will be alright? You can’t promise something like that.” AJ said anger replacing his sadness. Howie stepped back and looked down at his friend. He could see the anger that was in AJ’s eyes, something that hadn’t been there in a very long time. AJ turned and wheeled himself from the hospital, leaving Howie standing speechless watching him leave. Linda exited Katherine’s room to see her husband standing alone in the hall.
“ Where is Alex?” Linda asked stopping next to him.
“ He’s mad and he’s gone.” Howie said looking at Linda. Linda sighed and closed her eyes.
“ She’s confused, I’ve seen the look on her face, I think she’s remembering but it’s all cloudy.” Linda said looking at him.
“ She will remember. But Alex isn’t willing to wait that long. He thinks that he’s lost everything. He was crying that is the first time I’ve seen him crying at all.” Howie said. Kevin, Brian and Nick walked over to them and looked at Howie.
“ He’s so upset.” Nick said looking into Howie’s concerned brown eyes.
“ I know but what can we do?” Howie asked them.
“ We can be there and support him. There isn’t anything else we can do for him.” Kevin said. Howie nodded and looked towards where AJ had gone.
“ I’ll go talk to him.” Nick said heading down the hall to where AJ had gone.



AJ sat outside, he had wheeled himself away from the hospital as far away from it as he could get. Everything in his life had come to this moment and it had all changed when he had that accident months ago. And now his own wife didn’t know who he was. AJ put his face in his hands and broke down in sobs. His body was wracked with sobs as Nick came up behind him. Nick placed his hand on AJ’s shoulder as he sat down on the bench beside him. AJ raised his eyes and looked at his friend, whipping his tears away with the back of his hand he looked down the road.
“ Alex you cant keep hiding from everything that is going on.”
“ Why not?” AJ said looking at him. “ Why couldn’t I have just died in that crash, I am worthless to her, I can’t do anything.”
“ The hell you can’t. You’re a wonderful friend and wonderful husband and father.” Nick said. “ Alex, we’ve been friends for over ten years, you’ve been helping me with my solo album. I’ve been helping you with yours. Everything you have worked for is perfect.” Nick reminded him.
“ I know, but I feel that I am letting her down. I can see what my not being able to walk has done to Kathy. She’s so sad, I’ve seen it in her eyes.”
“ She’s sad because you’re sad. Alex, have you stopped to think that we are your friends we are your family. And we support you threw everything. Alex please believe me. We are here for you and your family. Maybe it’s time we had a family meeting?” Nick suggested. AJ nodded and turned his chair so he was looking directly at Nick.
“ Maybe it’s time. We used to do things like that when we knew it was time to help another. Alright lets go get the others it’s time for a talk.” AJ said heading back towards the hospital. Nick followed behind him closely, his eyes down cast as he followed behind AJ.


“ Looks like Nick talked him into coming back.” Kevin said seeing them coming towards them. AJ looked up at Kevin, tears in his eyes as he looked at his friends.
“ Excuse me can we get a room so we can talk?” Brian asked the nurse.
“ Sure there is a private waiting room over there you can use.” The nurse said pointing down the hall. Brian smiled and thanked her and motioned for the others to follow him. Once inside the room Kevin closed the door and then sat down closest to it.
“ Alright we are here what’s up?”
“ Our brother needs us.” Nick said looking at them. AJ’s eyes where down cast as Nick spoke first.
“ We are here for you Alex.” Kevin said placing his hand on AJ’s knee. AJ looked up at him and then down at his knee.
“ What’s wrong?” Howie asked.
“ I felt that.” AJ said
“ What?” Kevin said looking down at his hand and then back up at AJ.
“ I felt your hand on my leg. That’s the first thing I’ve felt since the accident.” AJ said tears flowing again. Kevin stood and pulled AJ into a warm hug and held his young friend close and let him cry.
“ Alex remember we are all here for you, no matter what we are here for you.” Kevin said, his voice low and soothing. AJ calmed his crying and looked at his older friend, his older brother and smiled. A genuine smile, the first they had seen since the accident. Howie looked towards the door and saw Denise standing here with Katherine holding Brandon.
“ My love why are you crying?” Katherine asked walking into the room. She knelt down next to him and looked into his red puffy eyes.
“ I feel so lost. I’ve lost you.”
“ You haven’t lost me Alex, I am here and will always be here.” Katherine said whipping the tears away from his face. AJ pulled her into his arms careful not to crush their son.
“ I have lost you, you can’t remember me or your life.”
“ Alexander James McLean Born January 9th 1978, your natural hair color is brown, your eyes sparkle every time we talk about your mom. Your greatest love is your singing. Your love and admire each of the boys for all they’ve done. Your proud of Nick for doing something you’ve always wanted to do.” Katherine said with a huge smile. AJ’s eyes got wide and he smiled
“ You remembered?”
“ She remembered the minuet I handed her Brandon.” Denise said.
“ Really?” AJ said running his finger over her cheek.
“ Yeah really, I know how much it scared you to think I would never remember you. But never ever think that I would ever leave you.” Katherine said kissing his lips passionately, she giggled as she felt his hands moved over her back.
“ Oh someone is really happy.”
“ Yes I am.” AJ said with a twinkle in his eye. “ Baby I can feel my legs.”
“ What?” Katherine and Denise said at once.
“ I can feel my legs. Just now Kevin was being a big brother and placed his hand on my leg I felt his hand.” AJ said tears rolling down his cheeks. Tears of joy it was as if maybe his life was getting better.
“ Oh god Alex that is great.” Katherine said kissing him again.
“ Daddy.” Brandon said hugging AJ.
Ch 9 by AJsSweety
Katherine spent a week in the hospital and went home to heal. Her ribs hurt and so did her arm.
“ Hi babe.” AJ said coming into the room, he had a towel over his shoulders. She turned and smiled at him, he looked absolutely hot in his white wife beater shirt and sweat pants. She looked towards the doorway and saw Nick and Howie standing there.
“ Helping Alex with his therapy?” She asked.
“ Yep. We didn’t like his therapist.” Howie said.
“ Courtney what was wrong with her?” Katherine asked looking at AJ.
“ A little two friendly for my taste.” Nick said knowing that AJ wouldn’t tell Katherine what was going on.
“ Friendly? She came highly recommended.” Katherine said thinking the young woman was being overly friendly with her husband.
“ Where is she?” Katherine asked looking at Howie and Nick.
“ Changing.” Nick said. Katherine nodded and made her way slowly from the room. Her ribs still hurt and she wasn’t happy if someone was making her husband feel uncomfortable. She walked into the room where Courtney was changing. Courtney had her back to the doorway when she heard the door open.
“ Oh Alex you’ve come back for something else.” She said with a slight giggle. She spun around shirtless to come face to face with a very pissed Katherine.
“ You bitch. Your fired I want you gone. What gives you the right to try to take advantage of my husband?” Katherine shouted at her. Courtney only seemed to laugh and advance towards Katherine.
“ And why not? You don’t seem to be loving him.” Courtney said as she slapped Katherine across the face. Katherine’s blue eyes flashed with anger as she looked towards Courtney.
“ I love him plenty we have a child together and we’ve been threw a lot and I will not have a whore like you trying to take him away.”
“ Oh darling I had already thought about that. I took this job, almost killed the girl that was supposed to get it first. I will have you husband.” Courtney said as she wrapped her hands around Katherine’s throat and began to squeeze. Katherine began clawing at her hands trying to get her to let go. Gasping for what little air she could get. Trying to push her off, feeling weaker and weaker every moment. Katherine’s arms dropped to her sides as her eyes rolled back and she finally lost consciousness. Courtney laughed as she looked down at Katherine’s unconscious form.
“ Call me a bitch will you.” Courtney said looking down at Katherine. AJ wheeled into the room in time to see Courtney kick Katherine in the ribs.
“ What the fuck? Get out of my house. Howie call the police.” AJ yelled. “ Get away from my wife.” AJ said to Courtney.
“ Oh I am leaving Mr. McLean too bad about your wife.” She said pulling on her shirt and then grabbing her bag off the floor. Brushing past him she turned and left the house. Howie came running upstairs to find out what had happened. AJ was sitting on the floor, Katherine’s head in his lap.
“ What happened?”
“ I don’t know. She was standing over Kathy and she kicked her in the ribs, when she comes to she’s going to be in such pain.”
“ I’ll call and see if we can get the doctor to do a house call.” Howie said running from the room. AJ moved his fingers over Katherine’s face.
“ Come on wake up.” AJ said looking down at her concerned. Katherine moaned and slowly opened her eyes.
“ Alex?” She said her voice very horse.
“ Yes baby are you alright?” He asked
“ God I hurt.” She said her arms wrapping around her ribs.
“ I know baby, I know. Just lay still.” AJ said. He looked up to see Howie and Nick standing in the doorway.
“ Let us help get her to the bed. The doctor is on her way. Alex we could have just called an ambulance.” Nick said.
“ No, no more visits to the hospital.” Katherine chocked out. AJ nodded his agreement and climbed back into his wheelchair. He moved over to the bed and looked at Katherine, there was a nasty bruise forming on her neck and he could see she was having difficulty breathing.
“ Rest my love.” AJ said holding her hand.
“ The doctor’s here.” Gretchen said letting the woman into the room.
“ I’ll be down the hall.” AJ said wheeling himself from the room so the doctor could check over his wife. Howie looked at his friend.
“ The police have Courtney in custody. They want to know if you want to press charges?”
“ What do you think D? She tried to kill my wife and I haven’t a clue why?” AJ said looking at his friend.
“ They do. They want to talk to you as soon as you can.” Howie said looking at his friend.
“ Grand. Alright as soon as I talk to Kathy I will find out what happened.”
“ Mr. McLean”
“ Yes Doctor is she alright.”
“ She’s just agrivated those ribs again. Those bruises will heal in a few days. No major damage surprisingly enough.”
“ Thank you for coming.”
“ Your more than welcome.” She said gathering up her bag and heading towards the stairs.
“ I’ll walk you out.” Howie said following the doctor from the upstairs. AJ wheeled back into the room and looked at his wife. Nick stood in the doorway and he wanted to cry.
“ Hey babe, how are you feeling?” AJ asked.
“ I am sleepy.” She said with a slight smile.
“ I bet the doctor gave you something didn’t she.”
“ Yep, the pain in my ribs is gone.” Katherine said with a huge smile. “ I love you so much.” She said sitting up and kissing him. He held her for a moment and then felt her go limp, smiling he lay her back against the pillow and kissed her forehead. He knew she would sleep the rest of the night. Leaving the room he headed downstairs.
“ I told you I didn’t like that woman.” Nick said looking at AJ. He wondered what AJ was going to do about the woman.
“ Kathy didn’t trust her.” Howie said looking at his friend.
“ In some ways neither did I.” AJ said running his fingers threw his unruly brown hair.
“ Then why didn’t you fire her sooner?” Nick asked looking at his friend.
“ She was sent by the doctor so I assumed he knew what he was doing.” AJ said looking at his friends.
“ Well she’s been arrested, are you going to be alright here? The doctor told me she had given something to Kathy to help her sleep.” Howie said. AJ nodded and looked around the room.
“ Yeah I’ll be fine. Kathy and I got everything set up so I can do things on my own. If you guys want to come over later this evening your more than welcome.” AJ said as they both stood so they could leave.
“ Alright. I am taking Nick out for a while so I know we will be back later.” Howie said hugging AJ. AJ watched them leave and sighed as he looked around his now quiet and empty house. The woman that had attacked his wife was now in custody and he had no worries about her.



Howie pulled to a stop at the local McDonald’s and looked towards Nick.
“ Come on let’s get something to eat.”
“ Thanks D.” Nick said getting from the car. Howie stopped short of the restaurant when his phone rang. Pulling it from his pocket.
“ Hello?”
“ Mr. Dorough, this is Detective Roth.”
“ Yes detective what can I do for you?” Howie asked
“ Are you still at the McLean home?”
“ No sir I am not. Is there a problem?” Howie asked, worry written all over his face.
“ There shouldn’t be as far as I know. Miss Courtney Brown has made bail and is gone.”
“ What? I thought for what she had done she was in custody for at least 24 hours?” Howie said. Nick looked at his friend wondering what was going on.
“ We couldn’t keep her. A lawyer arrived with the $20,000 bail. And informed us as long as charges hadn’t been filed we had to release her.” He explained to a now irate Howie.
“ Are you telling me that that crazy woman could be on her way to my friends house to finish the job?” Howie yelled into his phone.
“ We have officers in route to make sure that, that isn’t the case.” The Detective said to Howie. Howie nearly threw his cell phone across the parking lot.
“ Howie what’s going on?” Nick asked seeing the look on Howie’s face. Howie looked at Nick, he wasn’t sure how to tell Nick.
“ Mr. Dorough I would suggest that if your going back to your friends house I’d do it now.” He told Howie. Howie only nodded cause he wasn’t sure if he could even speak.
“ Alright.” Howie managed to say hanging up his phone. Nick looked at Howie with concerned blue eyes.
“ We have to go back to the house NOW!” Howie said heading towards the car. Nick followed behind his friend and got into the car.
“ What is going on?” Nick asked.
“ We’ve got to get back to AJ’s that woman is out of jail.” Howie said as he drove down the street.






AJ looked out his window at the ocean below. It was nice that his house had a view of the ocean. His chair positioned just right so he could listen for noises in the house and still enjoy the peacefulness of the waves crashing on the shoreline. He heard a noise in the house and looked down to see one of his dogs running across the carpet and up the stairs.
“ Stupid dog.” AJ muttered as he looked back out at the ocean.
“ Should have listened to the stupid dog.” He heard a female voice say from behind him. AJ started to turn his chair so he could see the intruder when a cloth was placed over his mouth and nose, it’s sweet smell causing him to lose consciousness. She laughed almost evilly as she looked down at his unconscious form.
“ Load him into the van, and lets get out of here. If she wakes up before we get out of here we might have to kill her.” Courtney said looking at her large friend.
“ Sure thing Court.” He said lifting AJ from his wheelchair and heading out the front door. Courtney laughed and dropped the note on the table and left the house.
Ch 10 by AJsSweety
Katherine woke a short time later and felt like something was wrong. She slowly made her way down the stairs being met by one of the dogs.
“ Hey there, where’s daddy?” She asked thinking the dog would lead her to where AJ was sitting. JD led her down the hall to the empty wheelchair.
“ Alex?” Katherine called out looking around the room, this didn’t feel right.
“ ALEX!” Katherine screamed looking around the room. “ Alex?” She asked again knowing he was gone. His chair still sat where he had been near the window yet he was nowhere to be found. Katherine jumped when she heard a knock on the door. She walked over to it and looked out to see Howie and Nick standing on the other side. She opened the door and looked at them.
“ What’s wrong?” Nick asked seeing the tears rolling down her cheeks.
“ He’s gone.” Katherine said looking at him. Nick pulled her into his arms and looked around the room. AJ was nowhere to be seen. Howie walked into the house and looked around. JD walked up to him and barked.
“ Hey little buddy. Kathy when did you guys get the dogs back?”
“ Earlier, his mom dropped them off why?” Kathy asked
“ Kathy, did u see this?” He asked holding up a small envelope addressed to her. Katherine was about to take it from him when she saw officers standing in the doorway.
“ Mrs. McLean? What’s wrong?” One asked seeing her tears.
“ Alex is gone. His chair is still here but he’s gone.” Katherine cried.
“ What is that?” The officer asked Howie. Howie held out the envelope and handed it to the officer. The officer opened the envelope and pulled the small note.
“ Mrs. McLean do you know what this says?”
“ No. What does it say?” She asked.
“ You husband’s been kidnapped. They said they’d been in touch and no police where to be involved. Ma’am we are already involved.”
“ Get out.” Katherine said taking the note from him.
“ Ma’am let us help you.”
“ Get out, if this costs my husband his life. I will never forgive anyone get out.” Katherine shouted. The officer understood and turned and left the house with his partner. Katherine dropped down onto the couch and began to sob.
“ I’ll call Denise and have her come and get Brandon.” Howie said.
“ Don’t tell her what happened.” Nick said looking at him.
“ Not planning on it. Kathy doesn’t need any more stress. Nick, get that chair out of site. I’ll call the others too.” Howie said heading into the kitchen to make the phone calls. Nick guided Katherine to the couch and had her sit down.







AJ moaned as his world began to come back to him. His head hurt he tried to move his arms only to find them tied above him.
“ Oh look our guest is awake.” Courtney said coming into the room.
“ Hmm!” AJ tried threw the gag in his mouth. Courtney walked over and touched his cheek. AJ turned his eyes away from her as anger filled them.
“ What’s the matter my Alex. I am going to help you learn to love me and forget about that bitch.” Courtney said looking at him. AJ’s eyes snapped towards her and a low growl came from deep within him. Courtney looked at him and then backhanded him hard.
“ Don’t talk back little boy. Or you will die just like your pretty wife.”
“ Court what do you want done next?”
“ Wait till she’s alone and bring her here. He’ll watch her die. I will comfort him.” Courtney said looking back towards AJ. She watched as tears slipped down his cheeks. She moved her fingers over his cheeks.
“ Don’t cry, we will be a happy family. You, me and your son.” She said looking at him. AJ closed his eyes and tried to remain calm.
“ Court there’s a call for you.”
“ Coming Simon. Be back later baby. Get some sleep, we have a long night a head of us.” She said kissing his cheek. AJ waited for her to leave the room and began pulling on the ropes that held his arms above his head. This could not be happening. After everything he had been threw in the last year now he’s got a crazy woman wanting him and was willing to kill his wife. AJ stopped struggling when the door opened again, he looked to see the man Courtney had called Simon enter the room and close the door.
“ That’s my woman, I am only doing this because it makes her happy. But I will not let you take her from me.” Simon hissed at AJ. AJ looked away from him, staring at a place on the wall.
“ Oh I could kill you and be done with it. But you’re her boy band bad boy with a baby.” Simon growled as he grabbed AJ’s face and made him look at him. Simon untied AJ’s arms and yanked the gag free.
“ Bastard leave me alone, leave my family alone.” AJ screamed now that he could.
“ Calling me names? Your nothing more than a cripple, begging for attention.” Simon shouted at AJ. AJ narrowed his eyes and pushed himself into a standing position.
“ Oh the cripple can stand.” Simon laughed.
“ I’ve been working on this for almost a month. I will beat your ass.” AJ said looking at the man in front of him.
“ Try me little man.”
“ Simon what the fuck are you doing?” Courtney shouted coming back into the room. She looked between the two angry men and then placed her hand on AJ’s arm.
“ Calm down baby.” Courtney said looking at him.
“ Don’t call me that. I have a wife and a son. And I will see you both rot in jail for this.” AJ seethed. Courtney looked at him with anger in her eyes. She pulled a small needle from her pocket and plunged it into his arm.
“ Bitch.” AJ growled grabbing his now throbbing arm, the room began to spin and then his eyes rolled back in his head and he collapsed in a heap on the floor.
“ You ever do that again I will kill you myself. Go get his wife now. They will die together.” Courtney yelled. Simon nodded and left the room.





Katherine sat alone in her bedroom. Her knees against her chest, tears rolling down her cheeks. She didn’t even bother to look up when someone entered the room.
“ Kathy.” Kevin said as he sat down next to her.
“ He’s gone.” Katherine cried against his chest.
“ We will find him, Kathy we will find him.” Kevin said rubbing his hand on her back. Kevin hummed softly listening to her crying start to slow. He knew she was upset about AJ being missing but they all where. He held her close as he heard the door open slowly and then close, thinking it was one of the others checking on them he dismissed the sound.
“ I would stand quietly.” Kevin heard a voice say. Kevin looked towards the voice and saw a gun. Katherine nearly leaped from Kevin’s arms.
“ Don’t even scream or pretty boy here dies.” Simon said looking at Katherine.
“ Get out, there are a lot of people in the house. They will hear you.” Kevin said looking at him. Simon laughed and raised the gun.
“ That wont matter they wont get here in time. I will be gone with the lady here. And you’ll be dead.” Simon said raising the gun and aiming it at Kevin.
“ NO!” Katherine said looking at Simon. Simon looked at her and then back at Kevin.
“ The little lady seems to care.”
“ I’ll come freely.” She said looking at Kevin. Kevin was about to protest when Simon fired the gun and a dart came out. Kevin looked at the dart that had hit him in the chest and then fell to the floor in a heap.
“ What did you do?” Katherine cried dropping down next to her fallen friend. She placed her fingers on his neck and was releaved that he had a steady pulse. Simon pulled a needle from his pocket and plunged it into Katherine’s neck. Katherine looked up at him with cloudy eyes and then falls unconscious next to Kevin.

“ I wonder what’s going on upstairs?” Howie said as he headed up the stairs. He met a man in the hallway.
“ What the hell?” Howie said looking at the man holding Katherine in his arms. Simon looked at Howie and then saw Brian and Nick coming up behind him, too many people for his taste and he tossed Katherine at them. Howie caught Katherine but lost his balance falling backwards onto Nick and Brian. Causing the two behind him to lose their balance and the entire group to tumble down the stairs landing in a heap at the bottom. Simon had jumped from the second floor window landing in the bushes outside.

“ Oh god.” Howie said grabbing his ankle. Brian rolled off and grabbed his head.
“ Damn it that hurt.” Brian said grabbing his ribs.
“ Yes that it did. And I think I broke something. Majorly hurt and I think I broke something on Kathy too.” Nick said grabbing his wrist. Brian looked towards Katherine and saw the bruise forming on her cheek.
“ Damn.”
“ Ok I hate to do this but we need an ambulance.” Nick said crawling towards the phone.
“ Oh god he took Kathy.” Kevin’s voice could be heard from upstairs.
“ No, he didn’t.” Brian shouted up the stairs. Kevin scrambled down the stairs and about tripped over Katherine.
“ What the hell happened?” Kevin asked as he lifted Katherine off the floor.
“ We decided to find our way to the bottom of the stairs in a hurry what do you think happened?” Brian snapped.
“ We caught someone in the hallway holding Katherine and he threw her at us and we are all down here.” Nick said holding the phone in his hand.
“ How bad are you guys hurt?”
“ I think I broke something.” Nick said finally getting someone on the phone. Once he had explained what had happened he hung up.
“ The ambulance is on its way.” Nick said dropping the cordless phone onto the floor.
“ Did you break anything Bri?”
“ I don’t know but I hurt.” Howie said as he stayed laying on his back staring at the celing.
“ Guys how hard did you land on Kathy?” Kevin asked looking at Katherine.
“ Let’s see Kev we all tumbled down the stairs how the hell would we know.” Howie snapped at his friend. Kevin looked at him strangely.
“ Sorry I didn’t mean to snap she ok?”
“ I am fine.” Katherine said from where she was. Kevin looked down at her and smiled.
“ Are you sure?” Kevin asked.
“ Yep. And the pop you heard Nick was my shoulder going out of joint.” Katherine said sitting up slowly.
“ The paramedics are here.” Howie said from his place on the floor. The paramedics hurried into the house.
Ch 11 by AJsSweety
AJ looked around the room he was in and groaned, he wasn’t sure how long he had been missing but his arms had a cramp and his jaw was killing him. He looked towards the door to see Courtney walking in with Simon, who was limping.
“ Seems your little bitch has your friends over and she’s harder to get to than a safe.” Courtney shouted at AJ. AJ looked at her and if he could have he would have laughed in her face.
“ Maybe I should send her a message.” Courtney said looking at him, AJ’s eyes where wide thinking of what she could be thinking. Courtney smiled evilly at him as she pulled the gag free again.
“ I want her to hear you.” Courtney said looking at AJ.
“ Hear me why?” AJ asked looking at her.
“ Cause she’s going hear you scream. You’re going to scream loud and clear.” Courtney laughed as Simon untied AJ’s arms and pulled him from the room.
“ LET GO!” AJ struggled, he knew he didn’t have the strength to pull away from him. Courtney ran around them and opened the door to the small room. AJ’s eyes got wide when he saw chains hanging from the top of the wall and from the bottom.
“ How long have you been planning this?” AJ whispered.
“ Long enough, she’s had her eye on you for a long time. I haven’t liked it but what Court wants Court gets.” Simon said holding him by the throat against the wall. Courtney shackled his arms first and then his legs. Simon released AJ and listen to him cough trying to get his breath back. Courtney grabbed the knife off the side table and walked closer to AJ.
“ No don’t.” AJ said looking at her. Courtney smiled and turned towards the door to see Simon standing there with a camcorder. Courtney turned and slashed across AJ’s chest, AJ’s scream filled the room. The long angry gash bleed heavily, as she moved to cut another place on his body. She pulled the white wife-beater shirt he was wearing off him and threw it on the floor. She listened to his screams and laughed as Simon set the camera down. Simon lifted a leather whip from the side table, he placed his hand on Courtney’s shoulder and turned her around to face him. His hands now on her face as he pulled her closer. His lips met hers in a kiss, a painful moan came from AJ. Simon kissed Courtney’s cheek and turned to face their captive. He hit AJ hard in the face and then grabbed him by the throat.
“ Now comes the real fun Alexander.” Simon said as he turned AJ around his arms crossing painfully. Simon reached around and pulled a gag back into AJ’s mouth. “ That will keep your screaming to a minimum.” Simon said patting the top of AJ’s head. AJ laid his head against the wall trying to keep his tears from flowing down his cheeks. His head snapped up when he heard Simon make the whip crack. The whip connected with AJ’s bare skin causing him to scream threw the gag in his mouth. Courtney watched from her place near the camera, her legs crossed as she watched Simon bring the whip down across AJ’s back till he finally went limp.
” Darling might as well stop, our guest passed out.” Courtney said touching his arm. Simon turned and lifted her into his arms and held her close.
“ She will pay us baby. Lets ransom him. He will bring us big money baby. Lets do that.” Simon said looking at her. Courtney smiled and kissed his lips.
“ Alright. Get that tape ready and then we should move our guest back to the room.” Courtney said smiling.
“ I’ll place the tape in an envelope, you get something to clean and dress those wounds we don’t want him bleeding to death baby.” Simon said setting her down and heading into the other room with the camera.
“ I was going to love you Alex, you should have let me. Now lets see if that wife of yours loves you enough to pay for your return.” Courtney said releasing the chains that held AJ’s arms. She watched him fall to the floor in a heap she undid the chains on his legs and reached for the first aide kit. Once she had cleaned and dressed his wounds Simon had returned. Simon lifted AJ off the floor and headed into the room where he had been before. Simon tied AJ’s arms above his head again and looked down at him.
“ Come on love, I have something to show you.” Simon said lifting Courtney in his arms and heading from the room closing and locking the door.
Ch 12 by AJsSweety
Katherine lay on the couch her arm in a sling, her eyes closed.
“ Kathy how you feeling hon?” Nick asked looking over at her.
“ Yeah I’m fine, worried about Alex. But I am fine.” Katherine said looking towards her broken friend. Nick’s leg was broken in two places, Brian had a major headache, Howie broke two ribs and Kevin just was sore. They looked like they had been in a fight. Nick had a black eye and Howie had a fat lip. The fans would not be happy if they could see them. Kevin walked back from the front door with a package.
“ Who was at the door?” Katherine asked sitting up a bit. Kevin looked at her and held out the small package. Katherine took it with her good hand and checked the name.
“ Well it’s addressed to me I wonder what that is about?” Katherine said opening the package to have several pictures and a video dropped out into her lap. She picked up one of the pictures.
“ Oh my god.” Katherine gasped looking at the picture, Howie came over closer to her and looked at the picture.
“ My god.” Howie said taking it from her. “ He looks terrified.” Howie said handing the picture to Nick. Kevin took the tape and placed it in the VCR and pressed play. AJ’s painful screams filled the room as they all watched the man that had thrown Katherine at them whip AJ into unconsciousness.
“ Hello Katherine, he speaks so highly of you when he can speak. I hope you and his friends are watching this alone. I want 20 million dollars and guess what you have twenty-four hours to make it appear. And I will be in touch as to where you need to drop off the money. Don’t screw with me Kathy I will kill him.” Courtney said smiling into the camera. Over her shoulder AJ’s head was down and his back was bleeding badly.
“ Oh god. What am I going to do?”
“ We will get the money don’t worry about that.” Kevin said to her. Howie held Katherine close as she cried against his chest.
“ The banks aren’t open tomorrow Kevin.” Nick said looking at him. Kevin looked at his young friend as if he was going to strangle him where he sat.
“ I’ll make some calls we will be able to deal with it.” Howie said holding Katherine close.
“ She’s going to kill him I already know that.” Katherine said looking at them.
“ No she wont.” Kevin said trying to reassure her. Katherine couldn’t help the feeling she had that Courtney was going to kill AJ.
“ Prove it Kevin. Prove to me that she wont kill the only man that I’ve loved, the father of my son, it’s not fair. We’ve been threw so much why does this need to happen.”
“ Kathy you need to calm down hun.” Howie said rubbing her shoulders, he could tell she was tense and scared.
“ I cant calm down, that crazy woman has my Alex and she’s hurt him bad.” Katherine said looking at him sadly.
“ I know Kathy but we can’t have you losing it. Brandon needs his mom.”
“ Brandon needs his dad. I need his dad.” Katherine said as she began crying again. Howie looked towards Nick as he held her close.
“ Make the call Kev, find out what we can do.” Howie said, Kevin nodded and heading into the next room to make his call.
“ Kathy I need your permission to remove some money from Alex’s account.” Kevin said peeking into the room.
“ You’ve got it.” Katherine said looking up towards him. Kevin nodded and spoke again to someone o the other end. Howie held Katherine close as watched her drift off to sleep.
“ I have to call Linda.” Howie said sliding out from under Katherine. Howie pulled his cell phone from his pocket and waited to hear his wife’s voice on the other end of the phone.
“ Hey baby.” Howie said keeping his voice low.
“ How is she?” Linda asked
“ Sleeping. But she’s terrified, we received a letter and a video. They’ve hurt Alex pretty bad. It’s that damned Therapist.”
“ Oh you’re kidding? It’s Courtney.”
“ It’s Courtney, she had a thing for J, and when he wouldn’t return her feelings she decided that he needed be away from Kathy. Linda I want you to keep Brandon for a while. If anyone asks we are doing a Backstreet thing ok?” Howie asked Linda.
“ Not a problem. Denise is having me stay with her cause she had a feeling something was up. Kathy’s family has been notified.”
“ Who called them?”
“ Denise, they need to know what is happening, and the fall had them scared. Howie we aren’t stupid over here we know what is going on. How bad is he?”
“ Bad, the woman took pictures and sent them to Kathy.”
“ I’m going for a walk.” Katherine announced from the living room.
“ Oh the hell you are.” Kevin’s voice carried into the kitchen.
“ Then come with me I have to get some air.” Katherine shouted at him. Howie shook his head.
“ What’s going on?” Linda asked.
“ She’s upset and wants to go for a walk.” Howie said
“ She’s always been that way. Is someone going with her?” She asked
“ Yeah, looks like Kevin is going to walk with her along with one of the body guards.” Howie said sounding releaved.
“ Just make sure she’s alright.” Linda said hoping Howie would follow them.
“ I will and I will call you later. I love you.” Howie said.
“ I love you too.” Linda said, Howie heard the click and then shut off his phone. He knew his wife was worried but wasn’t sure how badly.







“ Welcome back to the land of the living Alex.” Courtney said looking down into AJ’s pain filled eyes. She could see he had been crying and she knew she had broken him.
“ Now if I remove that are you going to stay quiet?” She asked looking at him. She held a glass of water in her hands, and AJ had to admit he was thursty and nodded his head telling her he would do what she asked. She reached and pulled the gag free and held the glass close to his mouth, he drank as much as he could before she moved the glass. She placed two small white pills on his tongue and had him drink more water.
“ What where those?” He asked once he had swallowed them.
“ Something for the pain.” She said looking at him.
“ It’s strange how you hate me yet care. Your crazy you know that right.” AJ said looking into her now hate filled eyes. Courtney just looked at him as she heard the door open and then a smile played on her face as Simon walked into the room.
“ How’s our guest love?” Simon asked putting his arms around her waist.
“ In pain. What time is it?”
“ It’s only been a few hours. Don’t worry we will be contacting her soon.”
“ Leave my wife alone.” AJ begged.
“ Can’t if you want to live Alex. You have to trust that she will get the money we asked for.” Simon said looking at AJ.
“ How much?” AJ asked.
“ 20 million.”
“ What? She can’t come up with that much. I don’t have that much.”
“ Your friends do. And I am betting that your wife failed to tell you she’s an heiress, her family disowned her when she married you. But nothing melts the cold hearts of family members than a new born child.” Courtney said looking at him. AJ smirked and nearly laughed at her.
“ I already knew that.” AJ said trying to contain his laughter.
“ Oh so there are no secrets between you and your wife. Now that is hard to believe.” Simon said looking at AJ.
“ My wife and I are very honest, she’s been there for me for a long time and I support her as much as she supports me.” AJ said his voice harsh, he was getting mad at the accusations they where throwing out about his wife.
“ Oh don’t worry Alex, I would love to have your wife here and have her watch you scream or even more have you watch her scream.”
“ Leave my wife alone. Don’t you dare hurt her.” AJ said pulling on the bonds that held his arms. He was getting weaker and he didn’t know why.
“ I would stop you will be asleep soon. Those pills do that to a person.” Courtney said almost laughing at him. “ Maybe we will have a guest for you when you wake up.” She said watching his eyes getting heavier and then finally going to sleep.
“ What do you want done?” Simon asked kissing her neck.
“ Bring me his wife.”
“ Alright. And of his friends.”
“ I don’t care don’t kill them but bring me his wife.” Courtney said.
“ Alright. I will be back in a few hours. Lets just hope they don’t put up a fight.”
“ Deal with it. I want that bitch here.”
“ No problem babe.” Simon said kissing her, he watched her walk over and check AJ and then leave the room.



“ Kathy.” Brian said walking up next to her.
“ What?” Katherine asked looking at him. Brian smiled weakly at her and touched her arm.
“ Kathy, we will find Alex safe and alive. A little more bruised than we would have liked but safe.” Brian said. Katherine nodded at looked towards the ocean. She watched the sunset and then looked into Brian’s worried blue eyes.
“ I heard my mom called and talked to Linda.”
“ How did you know?”
“ I over heard Howie. Don’t worry my mom like me is a worrier. She might not talk to me much anymore but she calls.”
“ I know. It’s bad when family drifts apart.”
“ We didn’t drift she didn’t like Alex.” Katherine said looking back towards the water, in the distance some dolphins could be seen playing in the water, she had remembered when she and AJ had gone swimming in the evening and had seen that.


********** Flash Back *************

“ Alex where are you?” Katherine called out in the quiet house.
“ Down stairs babe.” AJ yelled from the kitchen. He smiled and waited for the sound of her soft foot steps on the carpet. She could hear her walking down the hallway towards the kitchen. He felt her soft arms around his waist, her lips on his neck.
“ What you doing?” She asked as she continued to kiss AJ’s neck.
“ Making breakfast. You looked so peaceful sleeping I didn’t want to wake you.” He said turning around and facing her, his lips crushing hers in a passion filled kiss.
“ Smells wonderful.” She said running her fingers threw his hair. His hand drifted down and rested on her swollen stomach. His first child, he was so excited at the prospect of being a father. Turning back towards the meal he finished preparing it.
“ Have a seat my princess.” AJ whispered in Katherine’s ear. Katherine giggled and sat down in the chair AJ had pulled out. They had a quiet meal and then decided to take a nice walk along the beach. AJ held Katherine’s hand and looked around at the couples and young kids playing in the sand the other side of their private beach.
“ I love you Alex.” Katherine said holding his hand tighter. “ Never leave me promise that we will never be apart.”
“ I promise you that we will never be apart.” AJ said kissing her lips lightly.

**** End Flash back ****

She remembered it clearly, he had promised they would never be apart.
“ What’s wrong?”
“ Nothing just remembering something Alex told me once. Come on let’s go back to the house.” Katherine said standing and grabbing Brian’s hand she led him back towards the house.
“ Maybe we should hurry it looks like it’s going to rain.” Brian said with a smile.
“ Yeah I noticed. Come on we best hurry.” Katherine said as they hurried towards the house. She came to a stop when a large man came from the shadows. Brian stepped in front of her when he saw the man that he had seen days before.
“ Leave her alone.” Brian said keeping himself between the man and Katherine.
“ Don’t think so little man.” He said hitting Brian upside the head with his gun. Katherine dropped down next to her fallen friend.
“ What are you doing?” Katherine shouted at him.
“ I am here for you. Not him.” He said reaching for Katherine. Katherine screamed and backed away from Simon. Simon finally stepped forward and grabbed her arm and pulled her towards him.
“ Let go of me. HELP M..” Katherine screamed, Simon clamped his hand over her mouth.
“ Nope can’t have anyone else coming down here.” Simon said guilding her towards the waiting car. “ Don’t fight me. I will hurt you.” He said shoving her into the van. She scrambled to climb from the other side. He grabbed her arm and stuck a needle in her arm, he watched her try to fight what he put in her system till finally she went limp in the seat.
“ That’s right rest now.” Simon said pulling her seatbelt in place. Starting the van he pulled away from the curb and headed back to Courtney’s home. He saw out the rearview mirror that the young blond was running towards his fallen friend.
Ch 13 by AJsSweety
“ You ok?” Nick asked looking at Brian once he had gotten him into the house.
“ My head hurts and I am betting I have a bruise?”
“ Yep you do. What did he hit you with?” Nick asked handing him an ice pack.
“ A gun I think but I don’t know. He took Kathy didn’t he?” Brian asked looking around the room.
“ Yeah, she wasn’t down there when I found you. I am sorry.”
“ I can’t believe he took her. Why did he take her?” Brian asked thinking out loud.
“ I’ve got the money.” Kevin said looking at Brian. “ And you’ve got the black eye.”
“ Yep I do.” Brian said holding the ice over his eye.
“ We will wait for the call and give them the money and get them both back.”
“ I hope.” Howie said shaking his head.





AJ opened his eyes and looked around the room. His head was killing him again. He was so hating this woman and the man that came with her. He noticed her arms where tied in front of him instead of to the bed. He slid his arms over his face and felt the bruises on his cheeks. He looked towards the wall and noticed there was a window, he knew with all the stuff Courtney had been giving him he wasn’t strong enough to make his way to it.
“ I hate my life.” AJ muttered closing his eyes again.
“ I wouldn’t hate your life. But you might want to worry about it. We brought you a gift.” Courtney said entering the room. AJ opened his eyes and looked towards her. Courtney moved aside and let Simon walk in.
“ What did you do to her?” AJ asked seeing Katherine in Simon’s arms. Her body slack in his arms her eyes closed.
“ Just gave her something to sleep don’t panic.” Simon said laying Katherine down on the bed. AJ noticed her arms where chained instead of tied with rope.
“ Why this?” AJ asked touching the chains with his fingers.
“ Because you cant untie her this way.” Simon said leaving the couple alone.
“ By the way what I gave her is also a poison. Hope your friends come up with the money or she dies and then you die.” Simon said taking Courtney from the room. AJ looked down at Katherine’s closed eyes and wanted to cry.
“ Baby talk to me.” AJ said touching her cheek. Katherine moaned and slowly opened her eyes. She looked at AJ’s worried face and reached up and touched him to make sure he was real.
“ Alex.”
“ Hey you ok?” AJ asked looking into her cloudy eyes.
“ Head hurts. Everything hurts, what did he give me?” Katherine asked.
“ It’s not important you’re alive and so am I.” AJ said running his fingers over her cheek. Katherine lay her head on his chest and closed her eyes again. AJ was terrified that he was going to lose her. His friends had to come up with the money he couldn’t bare if he lost her.
“ Your scared.” Katherine said opening her eyes and looking at him.
“ Yes that I admit. I’ve been through a lot in these last few days.” AJ said running his fingers threw her hair. Katherine looked down at her arms and saw the chains.
“ Well that’s a nice touch.” Katherine said holding her arms up.
“ He said that way I couldn’t untie you.”
“ But I can untie you.” Katherine said looking at the ropes that held AJ’s arms. “ Once the room stops spinning.” She said laying her head back.
“ Close your eyes and don’t worry about it.” AJ said kissing her forehead.
“ Ok.” Katherine said closing her eyes and finally going to sleep again. He looked up as Courtney and Simon entered the room again.
“ You bastard you cant just leave me and my family alone.” AJ growled looking at Simon. Simon laughed at him and moved to touch Katherine.
“ Don’t you touch her!” AJ said placing his bound arms over Katherine. Simon just placed his hand on Katherine’s forehead.
“ She’s warm. The poison is working faster than expected. Courtney we might have to give her the antidote sooner than we wanted to.”
“ No if we give it to her now she will live and I don’t want that.” Courtney said looking at him.
“ The part of the deal was if we got the money they live. Where you lying to me?” Simon asked looking into her eyes. He took as step back when he saw the crazed look in her eyes.
“ I want her to die.” Courtney said laughing and leaving the room. Simon stood for a moment and started to follow her.
“ She can’t let my wife die, you can’t let my wife die. They will get the money. Please don’t let her die.” AJ said looking at Simon.
“ I don’t know what to do. She’s never been this crazy and I’ve known she’s loved you for a long time but never really willing to kill your wife to get you.” He said standing in the doorway.
“ Then let us go. I can take my wife to a hospital and get her some help.”
“ I can’t I’m sorry.” Simon said turning and leaving the room. AJ looked down at Katherine and sighed.



“ What are you going to do?” Simon asked Courtney.
“ Just what I was going to do. If I cant have him neither can she.”
“ But are you willing to kill her for it? What about that child she has?”
“ I will love Alex I will love his son. We will be a happy family.” Courtney said
“ Court let that fantasy take over our lives. Baby I know you love me. Why are you letting this happen?” Simon asked.
“ Because I care about him. And I know he cares about me.”
“ He cares about his wife and son. Come on let’s just get the money and run. We can make a better life and you can have anything you want.” Simon said coming up behind her kissing her neck.
“ Yes that would be nice. Alright we will do it that way.” Courtney said smiling. Simon kissed her cheek and smiled again.







“ Kevin do we have the money?”
“ Yep right here. We have all of the money. All we have to do is wait for the call.” Kevin said sitting down, the brief case sat on the floor full of the money needed to save their friend. Kevin about jumped from his skin when the phone rang.
“ Hello?” Kevin said into the phone
“ Want your friends?” She asked.
“ Yes, we have the money.” Kevin said.
“ Good. Now bring the money to 1450 Sherman Oaks rd. way outside of town, we are the last house, if you come alone they live, if the police are with you they both die.” Courtney said.
“ Agreed.” Kevin said
“ Be here in an hour.”
“ On our way. Please don’t hurt our friends.” Kevin said only to end up begging dead air. “ Damn it. We have an hour to make it to this address or they die.” Kevin said handing the paper to Howie.
“ Let’s go.” Brian said grabbing his coat and heading towards the door.





“ Guess what lovers time to go.” Simon said entering the room. AJ opened his sleepy eyes and looked at his captor.
“ What?” AJ asked shaking Katherine to wake her. Katherine moaned but never opened her eyes. “ Damn it.” AJ said touching her, her fever had gone up she was burning up.
“ Carry her.” Simon said looking at AJ.
“ I can’t do that with my arms like this.” AJ said holding out his arms. Simon moved forward and cut the ropes that held AJ’s arms.
“ Try anything stupid and I wont hesitate to shoot you.” Simon said pulling a gun from the inside of his long coat.
“ I wont.” AJ said lifting Katherine into his arms. “ How am I supposed to get around? My legs aren’t strong enough for me to walk.” AJ said knowing that he could walk slowly alone but with Katherine’s extra weight it was difficult.
“Use this.” Courtney said coming into the room pushing a wheelchair. She pushed it up behind AJ, who sat down while still holding his wife in his arms.
“ Put your arms on the arm rest.” She told him.
“ How can I hold her and do that?” AJ asked. Courtney pulled a strap across Katherine and then strapped it behind AJ.
“ That’s how. Now do as your told.” Courtney said as Simon tied AJ’s legs to the chair. AJ nodded and placed his arms on the arm rests, she then tied his arms there and pulled a gag into his mouth silencing any protests. AJ looked down at Katherine’s sweating face, he couldn’t touch her, to whip the sweat away from her face.
“ Let’s go.” Simon said motioning for Courtney to follow him outside.
“ If you had loved me this never would have happened.” Courtney said to AJ. AJ’s eyes drifted up towards her, fear and anger filled his brown eyes. Courtney touched his face softly and then pushed him outside, she looked to see the group that had assembled.



Kevin watched from his place in front of the group, he watched Courtney push AJ and Katherine into site. AJ’s arms and legs tied directly to the chair, Katherine strapped across AJ’s chair. From where Kevin stood Katherine didn’t look good at all. Her face pale and he wasn’t sure what to think.

“ Do you have what we want?” Courtney asked, her hands on AJ’s shoulders.
“ Yes right here.” Kevin said setting the bag down.
“ Return them to us.” Brian said stepping forward. He could see the fear on AJ’s face, the worry in his eyes.
“ I am not really sure if we should.” Courtney said running her fingers over AJ’s cheek.
“ Please return them, haven’t you done enough?” Kevin shouted, Courtney only seem to find this funnier as she finally shoved the wheelchair forward towards them.
“ Fine, their yours but she’ll be dead before sunrise.” She said with an evil smile. Simon moved towards them and took the bag as the group rushed towards AJ. Courtney took Simon by the arm and they ran away from the group, getting into their van they sped away.
“ AJ man you ok?” Kevin said pulling the gag free.
“ They poisoned her.” AJ said looking into Kevin’s eyes and then down at Katherine.
“ What?”
“ When he kidnapped her, he said he injected her with something that made her sleep and then he told me he had poisoned her. We have to help her. She’s feverish.” AJ said looking down at his wife. Kevin put his hand on her forehead and pulled it back.
“ She’s burning up. Nick get over here and help me untie them.” Kevin said dropping down next to then. He untied AJ’s arms and watched as AJ ran his fingers over Katherine’s face.
“ Give us the antidote.” Brian said looking towards the house.
“ Their gone Bri.”
“ I know the police are on their way, the ambulance is coming too. We can’t get her there fast enough. Alex are you sure your alright? Man I’ve seen the video of what they did.” Brian said looking at AJ.
“ My back has no pain, Courtney made sure of that. Some kind of white pill made all the pain go away. I wasn’t sure why she did but I don’t care, please we have to get help for Kathy. I can’t lose her tonight.” AJ said looking at his wife. Katherine moaned and nearly fell out of AJ’s arms.
“ Hey, shush now it’s alright.” Kevin said looking down into her confused blue eyes, he could see she didn’t know where she was or even who he was at that moment.
“ Kev?” Katherine said moving her arm so she could touch his face.
“ Yep, don’t worry we have someone coming to help you.” Kevin said looking at her.
“ Their here.” Brian said moving aside as the paramedics came towards them.
“ Sir let us take her.” The Paramedic said looking at AJ. AJ released his death grip on Katherine, he felt her weight being lifted off his legs. He listened to the paramedics.
“ She’s running a fever of 104, we need to get her cooled down.” The medic said.
“ Do you know what was given to her?” the medic asked AJ.
“ I don’t know he just said it was a poison.”
“ Alright.” The medic said calling it into the hospital. AJ watched as they loaded Katherine into the ambulance.
“ I want to go too?” AJ said more a question than a statement.
“ Sure come along.” The medic said helping him into the back. He folded the wheelchair and placed it on the other side of gurney. The medic watched how AJ held Katherine’s hand and brushed his fingers over her forehead.
“ Will she be alright?”
“ If we’ve gotten to her in time yes. If not I’m not sure.” He said looking at AJ.





AJ sat alone in the church, his hands folded in front of him as he looked towards the cross at the front of the church.
“ Why? Why her?” AJ asked, the same question he had asked everyday for the last six months. His son stayed with his mother as he greeved. He walked around his home in a fog over the last twelve months. He had lost everything he had ever wanted had ever loved.
“ Alex, come on.” Kevin said coming into the church.
“ Why?” AJ said looking up from where he was praying.
“ You can’t stay here forever.” Kevin said sitting down next to his friend.
“ Yes I can. Maybe if I pray enough he will let me be with her.”
“ Doesn’t work that way J.” Brian said sitting on the other side of him.
“ Why not? Cause I haven’t prayed in a while, what did I do to deserve this?” AJ asked getting to his feet. Kevin watched as AJ walked from the church. His head down, he knew his friend was lost in thought as they got into the car. He drove AJ home, the one place AJ hated to be.
“ Daddy.” Brandon said running to AJ. AJ smiled to his son and lifted him into his arms. “ When’s mommy coming home?” AJ looked into his son’s blue eyes, he saw so much of Katherine in them he wasn’t sure what to tell him. Setting him down AJ walked into the bedroom and closed the door.
“ Uncle Kevin what’s wrong with daddy?” Brandon asked walking up to Kevin. Kevin looked down at the two year old boy, so much had changed since the original accident.
“ Daddy misses mommy.” Kevin said pulling Brandon into his arms.
“ But mommy will be home soon?” Brandon asked hopeful. Kevin like AJ wasn’t sure what to say to him
“ Yeah soon.” Kevin said.
“ Ok, grandma is coming to get me soon. I want to stay with daddy.” Brandon said looking at Kevin. Kevin couldn’t believe that Brandon was already two and he was talking so clearly for someone so young.
“ I know buddy. How about I let you stay with me?” Kevin said looking at him.
“ Ok, I’ll go tell daddy.” Brandon said hurrying down the hallway. Kevin looked towards Brian and Nick.
“ Has anyone called Howie?” Brian asked.
“ I called Howie earlier today and he said he was stopping by the center and then he was coming here.”
“ Alright. I think I am going to call Denise and find out if we can keep Brandon for the night.”
“ I thought you where staying here?” Brian asked.
“ I am. I don’t dare leave AJ alone. Plus I got a call from management they want us in the studio soon.”
“ No, I don’t ever want to do that again.” AJ said looking back at them.
“ You can’t stop living. What about Brandon?” Kevin asked seeing AJ standing in the doorway.
“ My son can live the rest of his life with my mom, I had a wonderful life as a child with her. I can’t handle this.”
“ Howie’s on the phone.” Nick said holding out the phone.
“ What does he want?” Kevin asked.
“ He wants us to come to the center.” Nick said looking at them.
“ I wont” AJ said looking at them.
“ We are all going and find out what Howie wants.” Kevin said looking at him. “ Brandon we are going out, come on buddy.” Kevin said down the hall. Brandon rushed down the hall way as fast as his little legs could carry him.
“ We going to go see Mommy?” He asked looking at Kevin with hope in his eyes.
“ Yep buddy we are.” Kevin said lifting Brandon into his arms. Linda walked over and took him from Kevin. Her own children walking closely to her.
“ Aunty Linda is mommy coming home?”
“ I don’t know. Duane take your cousin and go wait in the van.” Linda said looking at her son.
“ Ok mommy.” Duane said taking his cousin’s hand and heading out the front door.
“ Come on Alex.” Linda said taking AJ’s hand.




“ Good afternoon Mr. McLean.” The young woman at the desk said as Linda led AJ into the center.
“ Yeah.” AJ said looking at the floor.
“ Mrs. Dorough your husband is waiting for all of you in room 245.” She said looking towards Linda.
“ Thank You Patty.” Linda said leading AJ and the others down the hall. Brandon happily walked down the hall holding Kevin’s hand. They came to a stop in front of the room.
“ I’m not going in there.” AJ said sitting down outside the room.
“ Alex please.” Linda said looking at him.
“ No.” AJ said pouting.
“ Ok your not a fucking two year old get into the fucking room NOW!” Kevin shouted looking at him. AJ looked up at Kevin wide eyed and walked into the room with his head down.
“ I don’t know why we do this. She’s gone.” AJ said sitting down in a chair just inside the room.
“ MOMMY!” Brandon shouted running to the bed that was in the corner.
“ She’s awake Alex.” Howie said looking at his friend.
“ She’s been awake D. She’s been awake for the last six months, her eyes have been open but that’s it.” AJ said looking angrily at his friend.
“ He means awake.” Linda said to him.
“ She’s not talking.”
“ She can’t.” Kevin said to him.
“ Why not?” AJ asked moving to the bed. He watched as Katherine’s eyes followed his movements.
“ Because she doesn’t at the moment know how.” The doctor said entering the room.
“ But she knows who I am right?” AJ said, he couldn’t handle her not knowing him not again.
“ Yes she does, you can see the recognition in her eyes. Just give us time.” The doctor said.
“ Time is all I have.” AJ said taking Katherine’s hand in his own. Katherine smiled a bit at him and then looked around the room.
“ Mommy.” Brandon said happily hugging Katherine.
“ It will take us several months to get her body back to where it was.” The doctor said as AJ noticed that Katherine didn’t hug Brandon back.
“ What exactly happened?” Kevin asked. “ It’s been a year since the kidnapping and her getting poisoned. “
“ Can we discuss this without the little ones?” He asked, Kevin nodded and looked towards Linda.
“ Yeah I know.”
“ Please hurry back.” Howie said looking at his wife.
“ I will.” Linda said taking Brandon and Duane from the room. Returning a short time later she looked around waiting for the doctor to explain.
“ Alright the children are gone what’s going on?” AJ asked, his fingers running over Katherine’s hand.
“ Katherine sustained a lot of damage when she was poisoned, since the poison had made it’s way threw her body as quickly as it did it was hard to stop. We used a counter agent to keep it from killing her. Problem was it wasn’t stopped fast enough as it seemed to have caused some damage to her brain.”
“ Are you telling me my wife will never be normal again?”
“ It’s hard to say. Due to the fact she’s spent as much time as she has in a coma we think she may have some minor brain damage.”
“ I want my wife back. I want the woman I married six years ago, the woman that gave birth to my son, that looked at me with stars in her eyes, that has a laugh that I will never forget.”
“ We aren’t sure if we can ever get that person back. But we will work on it. She will be here for a while to work on that.” The doctor said. AJ looked Katherine, his fingers tracing her gentile features.
“ How long will she have to stay here?” AJ asked never looking away from Katherine.
“ Well now that’s she’s awake in the literal since it depends on how quickly she recovers for now she stays here I am sorry.” The doctor said
“ Don’t be. If I feel it nesiscary I will have a home nurse and bring her home.” AJ said kissing Katherine’s hand.
“ I wouldn’t advise that sir.” The doctor said.
“ I don’t care.” AJ said looking towards the doctor, his eyes full of anger. He had been separated from her for to long.
“ Alright sir that’s fine. I wont argue with you sir.” The doctor said leaving the room.
“ You will get better I promise.” AJ said kissing Katherine’s forehead.
“ Visiting hours are over.” The nurse said looking into the room. AJ leaned forward and kissed Katherine again.
“ I’ll be back tomorrow.” He said to her. Katherine smiled and watched them leave. The nurse walked over and tucked Katherine in.
“ Looks like your husband loves you deeply. He hasn’t been here much since you came in.” The nurse said looking at her. Katherine looked at her and then looked towards the window.
“ I know sweetie, your voice will return, everything will return.” The nurse said as she checked Katherine’s meds. She watched the young woman for a few more moments then turned and left her alone. Katherine let her eyes drift around the room, she saw small bouquets of flowers and pictures drawn by her son.
Ch 14 by AJsSweety
Just as AJ had said he was there everyday from the time he was allowed to arrive till they made him go home. He watched Katherine grow stronger as the weeks passed but it scared him that she was still not talking, he wasn’t sure if she chose not to or it was because she couldn’t. Brandon watched his mother walk around the small hospital room slowly.
“ Kathy we are taking you home today.” AJ said looking at her. Katherine looked towards him and smiled. AJ took her hand and pulled her into his arms.
“ I love you.” He said kissing her lips softly. Katherine held him tightly as they walked towards the door.
“ I am taking my wife home.” AJ informed the doctor.
“ Agreed she’s stronger. We will set up speech lessons and some more physical therapy and everything will be alright.” The doctor said signing the form.
“ Thank you. We are leaving now.” AJ said looking at Katherine. Katherine nodded and headed to gather what little items she had there. She turned and faced AJ and smiled widely. AJ took her arm and started from the room.
“ Have to ride out in this sorry.” The nurse said smiling at Katherine. Katherine sat down and sighed but didn’t argue with the nurse, like she could have.

Kevin showed up several hours later. AJ was walking around the house when Kevin arrived
“ What are you doing?” Kevin asked watching AJ hurry around the house.
“ I want everything to be perfect. She’s been gone for a year.”
“ Her being here should be perfect enough.”
“ It is Kev but that’s not the point. She’s been at that center for a year I want everything to be normal.” AJ said.
“ Sit down man, she’s fine and making a full recovery.” Kevin said hugging his friend. AJ wasn’t even sure why he was so upset, he had long given up on having her back and now had her again.
“ I missed her Kev.”
“ J, we all know that more than you will ever imagine. It’s good to see her back. Howie asked if you would like to bring her to a party. Bring Brandon and everything.” Kevin said looking at his friend.
“ I’ll ask her.” AJ said looking up towards the upstairs. He leaped to his feet and scrambled upstairs when he heard Katherine scream. Kevin followed him upstairs hoping everything was all right. He entered the room to see AJ holding Katherine in his arms.
“ Shhh. Its alright baby.” AJ said running his fingers threw Katherine’s hair.
“ It was so real.” She cried against his chest.
“ What was?” Kevin asked, he had remembered the doctor telling them that she seemed to have forgotten the reason she had been in the clinic to begin with.
“ That woman, she had hurt Alex and then the man that was with her had given me something. God it was so real.” She cried softly against his chest. It was the first time they had heard her voice in an over a year.
“ It was just a dream nothing more than a dream.” AJ said holding her close.
“ No, it was so real.” She cried.
“ It was a bad dream baby.” AJ said smoothing her hair and rocking her back and forth. Kevin looked down and noticed that Katherine had gone back to sleep. AJ nodded and slid out from under her and followed his friend from the room.
“ How often does she have those?” Kevin asked once they had sat down on the couch.
“ That’s the first one I’ve seen. But the doctor said they’ve been giving her stuff to help her sleep.” AJ said his eyes full of worry.
“ Well Nick said he’s still staying with you.”
“ Yeah Nick said he would stay and help out.” AJ said with a small smile.
“ We are all here to help out.” Kevin said looking at him.
“ I know but I didn’t want to over whelm her all at once.” AJ said hoping that would explain what was going on.
“ Yeah I know she’s been like a lost child. But it’s good to see her back and now talking.”
“ Yes it is. But for now I am just letting her take it one day at a time let her come back, I think the only reason she’s been acting the way she has is because she’s scared to come out cause she thinks it’s going to happen again.” AJ said looking at Kevin.
“ But it’s not. Simon and Courtney are both sitting in jail and wont be getting out anytime soon. Attempted murder is a hard case not to prove. She’s safe Alex. Very safe.”
“ I know. And I know that she’s safe, I’ve added extra security and a new alarm around here. I don’t know what else to do for her. She’s been walking around here in a fog.”
“ Oh and you didn’t before she came home? Alex you both have been threw so much I am seriously amazed that you two have made it this far.” Kevin said looking at his friend. AJ shrugged his shoulders and looked to see Brandon walking down the hallway holding his teddy bear.
“ Daddy, mommy is awake.” Brandon said climbing up into Kevin’s lap.
“ Really? When I left you mommy was sleeping.”
“ Mommy was crying. She gave me a hug and told me she loved me.” Brandon said looking at his dad.
“ I will go check on her. How about you take uncle Kevin out to the yard. Show him your new puppy.” AJ said kissing Brandon’s forehead.
“ Ok Daddy. Come on Uncle Kev.” Brandon said happily as he bounded out to the backyard. Kevin smiled and headed out to follow the small boy from the house.



AJ walked into his bedroom and smiled as he looked at his angel.
“ Alex?” Katherine said narrowing her eyes trying to see him in the dark.
“ Yep baby. Brandon said you where crying. What’s wrong?” AJ said sitting down next to her.
“ I don’t know. Where is my baby?” Katherine asked looking past him.
“ Oh he’s out in the backyard with Kevin.”
” Kevin’s here?”
“ Yep. He was in here when you woke up earlier. Are you hungry?” He asked holding her hand in his, his fingers tracing over her knuckles.
“ Yeah I am. I am sorry I’ve been so distant.”
“ It’s alright we have been threw a lot lately, I don’t blame you for shutting down.”
“ Your too good to me. I missed you.” Katherine said kissing his lips lightly.
“ Do you even remember anything that happened?”
“ No, flashes like a dream but I don’t remember anything. I am sorry.” Katherine said tears rolling down her cheeks again. AJ whipped the tears away and kissed her again.
“ It’s alright, you will remember in your own time. For now lets just let it be a bad dream.” AJ said holding her close. He looked towards the hallway and heard the noise of his friends arriving.
“ You up to visitors?” Linda asked from the doorway.
“ Yeah. Hi Linda how is Duane and Caroline?”
“ Both doing good, Duane went into the backyard with Brandon and Caroline is with Howie.” She said sitting down on the end of the bed.
“ You have two beautiful children. They are so sweet, just like their mother.” Katherine said smiling. Linda was happy that the things that mattered to Katherine hadn’t been forgotten hadn’t been taken from her.
“ How about we go out and get some lunch.” Linda suggested.
“ That would be nice. Give me a while to shower and get dressed.” Katherine said sliding off the bed. AJ looked at Linda and then at his wife.
“ I’ll give you two a while. I’ll keep the boys busy.” Linda said with a smile. AJ smiled and nodded as Linda closed the door behind her and he headed into the bathroom just as he heard the water start running. He walked towards the shower and smiled as he watched Katherine run the water over her body. He could see a few bruises on her skin things that resulted in the medication she had been given during her time in the clinic. He didn’t want to call it what it was cause it bothered him. He slid into the shower behind her and slid his arms around her wet body.
“ Hello there.” She said, she turned and faced him and ran her fingers over his cheeks.
“ I thought you’d like the company.”
“ Oh very much so.” Katherine said, she leaned forward and began kissing his neck. AJ’s hands moved over her body as she kissed her way down his chest. Her eyes looked up at him and watched his expression.
“ When was the last time we did this?” She asked him. All she got as a response from him was a moan as she flicked her tongue out and traced his sixty-nine tattoo. She felt his fingers run threw her short red hair.
“ Before I was kidnapped.” He said. He felt her neck muscles tighten when he said that and he watched how she pulled away from his body and turned her self into the water. She let the water run over her body as she held in the tears.
“ Hey what’s wrong?” AJ asked putting his arms around her.
“ Nothing.” She said rinsing her hair and then letting the hot water run over her shoulders.
“ Come on talk to me.” AJ said kissing her neck.
“ There’s nothing wrong. The water’s getting cold and we have guests.” Katherine said climbing from the shower and grabbing a towel she left the bathroom. AJ sighed and headed into the bedroom. He looked around and didn’t see Katherine and had assumed she had gone downstairs pulling on his cloths he went downstairs to greet their guests.


Katherine stepped from the shadows and saw that she had missed so much, her world had changed was it enough to let her back in. Gathering a few things she hurried and left the house before anyone noticed her missing. She grabbed some of her staionary and jotted down a small note for AJ and grabbed her bag.



“ Hey J where’s Kathy?”
“ She’s not down here?” He asked looking around.
“ Daddy where’s mommy?” Brandon asked as he and Duane walked into the house.
“ Upstairs I think buddy.”
“ Come on D lets go find mommy.” Brandon said rushing up the stairs as fast as his little legs could carry him. Brandon walked into his parent’s bedroom and noticed that there was a piece of paper and looked at Duane.
“ Daddy mommy isn’t in the room.” Brandon called down the hallway. Duane took his friend’s hand and headed back down the hall.
“ What?” AJ said standing at the bottom of the stairs.
“ Mommy’s not up there.” Brandon said as he and Duane headed out the door to the backyard again.
“ First off is it just me or did your son call mine D?” Howie said looking at AJ
“ He did and where is my wife.” AJ said taking two steps at a time. Howie followed his friend and came to a stop in the doorway when he saw AJ standing there holding a note in his hand.
“ What’s up?” Howie asked.
“ Dear Alex, I need some time I am going to away for a while I will call you when I have found myself. I love you and Brandon. Love Always, Kathy. “ AJ read the note out loud. AJ looked at Howie and then back at the note and then down at the floor.
“ She left me.”
“ She needs to find herself give her that much.” Howie said looking at his friend.
“ I lost her a year ago to a mad woman and now she’s left me on her own.”
“ She’s lost AJ please give her time.” Howie said to him.
“ I will but how do I tell Brandon?” AJ asked.
“ Tell him mommy needed some time.” Howie said to his friend.
“ Or don’t tell him at all. He can spend some time at my place. He’ll never notice his mom’s gone.”
“ Are you sure we can lie to him?” AJ asked looking at his friend
“ Yeah, I mean it’s not like we are totally lying to him. He’s just coming for a visit, he don’t ask we don’t tell. J he’s only 2 we don’t need him to know everything.” Howie said hoping his friend would understand.
“ Yeah. All right I agree Brandon can stay with you. Can you tell the others know that I need some time alone?” AJ asked.
“ Sure we can do that. Coming down?”
“ No I really need time to think about this.”
“ Alright I’ll call you in a few days.” Howie said heading from the room. Linda met him in the hall.
“ What’s going on?”
“ Kathy’s gone. She left a note and she’s gone. We are taking Brandon is that alright?”
“ It’s fine. Him and Duane are having fun. Gives Duane someone to play with.” Linda said as she walked down stairs with her husband. Taking Caroline from Nick she looked around the room.
“ Ok looks like our friends need some time alone. I am going to go and get Duane and Brandon. Nick do you have somewhere to go?”
“ Yeah Linda Oddly I own my own home.” Nick said with a grin.
“ Good go there. I had forgot that since you’ve been with Alex for over a year at this point.” Linda said looking at him, Nick nodded and headed to his room to gather a few things.
Ch 15 by AJsSweety
Nick was coming from his room when he heard what sounded like AJ crying. He stepped into the room and saw that AJ was sitting on the floor crying. He wasn’t sure what to do so he pulled the door closed. Nick walked downstairs and looked at everyone else.
“ Are we sure we should leave him alone?” Nick asked
“ Yeah he wants this.” Howie said looking at them. Nick nodded and headed out the door. Howie waited till everyone was gone and pulled the door closed.
“ Daddy ok?” Brandon asked once Howie got into the car.
“ Yeah daddy and mommy are both fine.” Howie said as they drove away from the house.


*******************************************


AJ waited around the house. It had been almost a month since Katherine had left and he was beginning to think she was never coming back. Brandon toddled around the house playing with the dogs. He had asked where his mom was but AJ had just told him that momma had gone visiting some friends. AJ picked up his son and kissed him.
“ Come on time for a nap.” AJ said to him. Brandon rubbed his sleepy blue eyes. It sometimes amazed AJ how much his son looked like Katherine. He never would have guessed something so beautiful could come from them. He had messed up so many times in the past he wondered if Katherine finally leaving was his punishment for being the way he was. AJ kissed Brandon’s head again and lay him in the crib. He watched his son quickly fall asleep. He stayed in the room a while watching his son sleep. Finally he decided that it was to hard and went downstairs. As he made his way down the stairs he heard the front door open and close. Slowing his pace he listened to the sounds and the sounds where familur. A first he thought his mother had paid him yet another visit. He came to the bottom and his smile grew.
“ Kathy.” He said rushing to her side. Katherine turned and looked at him, a large smile played on her face.
“ Alex. I am sorry I was gone so long but I am home.” She said pulling him into her arms.
“ I’ve missed you so much.” AJ said kissing her passionately. And for the first time since her time in the hospital the kiss was returned with as much passion. She pulled him closer and she deepened the kiss.
“ I can tell but I love you for giving me the time I needed.”
“ I am glad that you came back.” AJ said sitting down and pulling her into his lap. He carried her up the stairs and into their room. He knew their son would be sleeping for a while as he slid her cloths from her body slowly. Katherine smiled as she grabbed him and pulled him down to her. She kissed his lips passionately as she pulled his shirt over his head. AJ slammed into her as he felt her nails dig into his back. AJ looked down into passion filled eyes and pulled away from her as he heard their son begin to cry.
“ Well if nothing Brandon hasn’t lost his since of timing.” Katherine giggled as she pulled him back towards her.
“ He can wait a few moments.” Katherine said as she kissed him deeply as she rolled him on his back and strattled him. Se slid down over his erection, she rocked her hips faster and faster as she felt his hands dig into her hips. She felt herself coming close to the edge as she wanted AJ to cum at the same time she did. She felt him go over the edge as she did. She rested her head on his chest exsausted.
“ I love you.”
“ Promise me you will never leave me again.”
“ I promise.” Katherine said as she rolled off of him and pulled on her robe. She walked into her son’s room and heard him squeel with delight at the sight of his mother.
“ Well I’ve missed you too.”
“ Mommy’s home.” Brandon said reaching out for her. Katherine lifted her son into her arms and kissed his cheek. She made herself a promise she would never ever leave him alone again.

AJ sat in the living room waiting for everyone to arrive after he had set up a party a few weeks later. He wasn’t ready to share Katherine with anyone at the moment. Now he was ready as he waited for his friends. Nick was the first to arrive peeking into the backyard to see Katherine playing with Brandon.
“ Great to have her back.” Nick said looking at his friend.
“ Yep very much so. Brandon has been attached to her since she got back.”
“ Three weeks she’s been back and now you call us?” Kevin asked as he came in.
“ I wasn’t ready to share.” AJ smiled.
“ She’s telling my wife she’s got news for you J.” Howie said shaking AJ’s hand.
“ Really? Hmm I wonder what she’s got to tell me.” AJ said as he followed his friends to the backyard.
“ Hey babe.” Katherine said kissing him. AJ pulled her down into his lap as he sat down.
“ Hey there what’s this about you want to tell me something?”
“ Oh, Howie your such a snitch.” Katherine laughed as he looked at them.
“ So what do you want to tell me?” AJ asked.
“ I’ve been feeling sick these last few days so I though maybe I was coming down with something so I called the doctor. You’re going to be a daddy again.” Katherine said looking at AJ.
“ What? How is that possible?” AJ asked surprised.
“ That first night I was home.” Katherine said kissing him.
“ Wow way to go J, you got it right on the first try.” Nick said clapping.
“ That is so great. I love you so much.” AJ said kissing her, Katherine leaned back against him. She finally felt at home, where she belonged. It had been a long time since she had felt like that. Finally home.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=1074