Roses are Red... by Sez
Summary:

 

It's no fun being single when all your friends have found that special someone, Sarah should know, but people can surprise you when it's least expected, Maybe She won't be spending V Day alone.  


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ
Genres: Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2965 Read: 1033 Published: 01/03/12 Updated: 01/03/12

1. Roses are red by Sez

Roses are red by Sez

“Don’t you think it’s creepy!” Sarah shrieked, looking across the table to her friend.

“Why should it be creepy? It’s so romantic I wish I had some secret admirer who wanted to shower me with roses.” The redhead blushed, it wasn’t completely out of character she wasn’t known as the boldest out of her friends, but what she lacked she made up for in wit.

“Your seriously tapped in the head!”

“Oh Sarah come on it’s harmless.”

“They know where I live! They could be a mass murderer, serial rapist, on the run shot my wife all kinds of crazy!” Lou chuckled into her cappuccino, trying to swallow the contents of her mouth and not spit it out over her crazy friend.

“On the run? And he just so happens to think its worth risking getting caught to drop a rose on your front step every day of February so far!”

“So your not ruling out Murderer?” Sarah asked, the frown lines appearing on her forehead, Lou sighed about to speak when another voice cut in.

“Who’s a murderer” his frown lines matched Sarah’s and Lou rolled her eyes looking from Jason and down to the hand that held Steph’s as she smiled up at her.

“Nobody, Sarah’s creating drama.” She told them looking at her friend un-amused with the comment as their two friends joined them.

“Sarah has a secret admirer” As Lou told the two embarrassment swept her cheeks as she avoided both their gazes Jason’s especially.

“Aw who’s after you?” Steph asked smiling brightly.

“If she knew that it wouldn’t be a secret” Jason added with a laugh folding his arm around his blushing girlfriends waist.

“I don’t know but it’s freaking me out” she told them.

Jason frowned and looked at her a little closely she did seem spooked.

“Has something untoward happened?” She paused and then shook her head, leaving roses by her door didn’t make him a killer. She knew she was overreacting but rather that then face up to the truth that someone liked her.

“Look don’t stress about it sweetie, I have to go meet Rob. But I’ll call you later okay.” Sarah nodded with a sigh.

“I’ll get some drinks” Jason told the pair looking at Sarah’s now empty hot chocolate.

“Do you not have the smallest inkling as to who it could be?” she shook her head.

“Someone from work?” she shook her head, being a hairdresser kind of ruled out working with any men or at least straight men.

“A supplier?” she shook her head again it was the same.

“Maybe it’s a customer? A very grateful customer who like’s his hairdresser a little to much?” she pouted towards the end unknowingly but it made Sarah smile.

“Maybe, or maybe this is joke maybe one of the guys are behind it. Howard’s name could be written all over this.” Sarah told her feeling her anxious stomach settle a little if it was Howard fooling around then she would be so relieved.

“Either way it’s Valentines Day tomorrow, and were all coupled up all except for you.”

“Thanks for reminding me Steph.” She frowned at the redhead who looked out of the window a sudden downpour hitting the paved streets of Manchester.

“Great.” She mumbled.

“I’m sorry Sarah. I just wanna see you happy.” Sarah nodded, she could argue she was happy but after her last relationship ending badly she was still healing, her heart was a little fragile.

“Maybe I’ll just text Howard and tell him to give it up.”

“Howard?” Jay asked bringing over their fresh coffee’s, the pair nodded thinking they had pinpointed the culprit.

“He’s out of the country, visiting Grace.” He informed drinking from his steaming cup.

“That’s just fab. Right I better get going it’s been a long day I’m shattered.” Jay nodded pressing a kiss to her cheek as she hugged Steph goodbye.

“Kay, Hey listen don’t stress over it just enjoy it.” Steph told her holding her fore arms as the pair parted from their hug, Sarah nodded reluctantly.

The truth was as she walked back to her flat, she couldn’t enjoy it she didn’t like the attention she would rather live without any attention being drawn to her if it was at all possible, on top of that she was shy there were very few men in her life and those who were, meant far to much to her to wreck any friendship with them to take a chance on a relationship.

When she reached her front steps she was greeted with a dozen yellow roses, this was out of routine normally it was one and they were always red. It was then she noticed the envelope tucked inside, it was soaked completely unreadable.

She picked up the flowers and looked around the empty street behind her, not a soul.

She unlocked her front door and locked it right away from the inside. She took a minute leaning against the door and slowly let the smile creep onto her lips as she gazed at the roses.

She leant up off her front door and shook off her drenched coat, her hair was frizzing out and her skin was cold as she placed the roses in some water sitting them next to the other 12 roses that sat on her kitchen window sill.

Her phone sounded from the hallway, a text arriving as she reached it she saw the message was from Jay.

May have let slip to Alex that you had an admirer, woops.

No apology, she closed her eyes and felt her chest tighten, Alex.

Where to start with Alex, he was a friend of Jason’s had been for many years the pair on the outside looked like chalk and cheese and perhaps they were, to look at them you would never have thought them to be friends, but they were and the best of friends.

Of course Sarah knew of him, their whole group was close nit.

The only matter was that Alex was in the music industry like Jay, and he lived in the states. Had done all his life he often made trips over with his band, or to see friends the UK was his love affair as he had once told Sarah a drunken night a smile on his face as he looked at the redhead, the one that he failed to notice ate up his every word, felt her knees go weak from the smallest of smiles or the most innocent of touches.

Alex wasn’t just Alex, he was AJ McLean.

She sighed her long distant celebrity friend/crush, whom had no idea how she felt towards him.

Climbing into the bath she let her thoughts runaway and to Alex she hadn’t thought about him for weeks it only frustrated her that they didn’t live closer that he wasn’t actively a bigger part of her existence. She had last seen him in November and already that seemed a lifetime ago.

She couldn’t disguise the feelings she had for him; there was no denying or hiding them especially from Lou who she had drunkenly entrusted with such information on New Years Eve.

Going about washing and drying herself she combed through her dark red hair feeling a change was needed she cut herself in a heavy fringe one that almost covered her eyes.

Instantly she liked it, everything seemed better brighter and it was thoughts of Alex’s that did it. That always did it, she could see his smile lighting up his face and she remembered how they danced at the rap party to the bands tour.

It was a wild night, and she fell hard for him. She was the centre of his attention throughout the night, his dance partner, right hand man, first to laugh at his jokes, to take notice of how he felt when he was on water and everyone else was on the ale.

He came with baggage and she didn’t mind it, she had her own.

Going through a pampering routine she smiled at the outcome she felt much better for it the pick up she needed. As she walked down the stairs in her dressing gown the front door bell rang, she realised then that she hadn’t text Jay back he’d be worried she was angry at him but she wasn’t the flood of memories made sure of that so when she opened the door with a smile on her face it dropped to see who stood there surprise filling her features her blue eyes wide at the brown eyes that stared back at her.

“Hey how’s my girl” her stomach fell through the floor as her heart fluttered out of her chest as the American accent graced her.

“Alex! Oh my god” he smiled his pearly whites lighting up the dark outside.

She threw her arms around his neck and he laughed lightly folding his arms around her she was one of his best British friends and he was pleased that she was so thrilled to see him on her doorstep and so late.

He drew back from her and she eased her arms from around him feeling his leather jacket as she went a grey beanie hat on his head, they smiled at each other for a minute and she laughed nervously.

“Can I come in?” she nodded like crazy

“What are you doing here?” she asked happy surprise written across her face.

“I thought I’d drop by see who’s hitting on you, he’s not here is he?” his cheeky smile appeared and she blushed.

“No he is not, do I look crazy” he shut the door behind him and followed her into the living room.

“A little.” He answered she turned quickly a smile on her face she couldn’t argue she was a little.

“You haven’t answered my question” she told him as she sat down on the couch he followed her lead sitting across from her folding one leg under him the other on the floor as he rested his arm along the back of the settee.

“I didn’t what question?” he teased.

“Why you’re here.” He smiled.

“I told you.”

“Whatever, tell me the truth.” He smiled.

“I’ve got my solo CD and…”

“OH MY GOD, You did it!” she told him her eyes wide, he nodded smiling at her enthusiasm.

“I seem to remember promising a certain redhead first listen.” Her grin grew and he held out the disc that read have it all. She squealed snatching it from his grasp and running to her CD player he watched how excited she was and as she hit play she suddenly paused it scrunching her eyes shut he laughed.

“What?”

“I wanna love it.”

“So love it” he laughed.

“Okay.” She told him hitting play.

“Wait! Have the guys heard?” he held out and she nodded.

“Course they have and they love it right?” he nodded and she hit play.

She listened intently to the entire album making AJ feel really apprehensive about what she would think about it, because her opinion counted a lot to him she waited until the disc went around again and smiled turning it down she had sat by the CD player while AJ made himself a drink and generally paced throughout the 12 tracks.

“It’s so you, it’s raw. AJ it’s amazing” his smiled looked as though someone had wedged a coat hanger inside of his mouth.

“You really think so babe.” She nodded getting up and climbing onto the couch, by now he was settled there his feet down and leather jacket off leaving him in a crisp white V neck tee, full tattoos on display along his arms.

“What are you staring at” she asked cheekily as his gazed lingered on her face.

“Your bangs” she blushed and corrected herself, her new fringe.

“It suits you.”

“Thanks, I’m glad you approve.”

“You should be, so come on I told you my news you tell me who’s sniffing around here.” She could feel her cheeks heat up at the question.

“I have some guy leaving me roses on my doorstep. Everyday so far of this month.”

“That’s a hardcore romantic that is right there.” She nodded.

“Who is it?”

“I have no idea.” He frowned a little.

“No clue?” she shook her head.

“I got a card today, but mister mystery wasn’t counting on it raining, it’s unreadable.”

“He failed there.” She nodded.

“And your not at all bothered. About some mystery guy romancing you.”

“It’s freaking me out a little.”

“Yeah Jay said.” I rolled my eyes he couldn’t hold his own water.

“Yeah well he says a lot of things that he shouldn’t.”

“Don’t be like that you know he’s just looking out for you.” She sighed and tipped her head back. He watched from the distance how her neck arched her eyes shut she was beautiful to him at least.

“He doesn’t have to tell you though.”

“Maybe I asked about you, and had to drag it out of him” her head turned to him with a look on her face that said she didn’t believe him.

“Yeah okay so he spilt easily enough.” He told her with a soft smile.

“Exactly.”

“Your gonna sleep tonight right?” she asked seeing it was nearing 3am she was sure jet lag hadn’t caught up with him yet and she was wired by his company.

“If you want me to.”

“Oh I want you to” his grin grew cheeky and she felt her heart pound in her chest as she thought aloud, she could have phrased that better.

“Anyway… dance with me.” She asked slipping her warm hand inside of his.

“To my own CD?” He asked his eyebrow quirked, she nodded and he shook his head.

“I’m sorry did you think you had a choice?” she took hold of his other hand and stood up.

He got up to his feet lazily and she flicked to an instant favourite.

She turned into him, he twirled her, and they jumped about like rockers.

As a slow song began he moved his arms around her waist feeling the heat between them she stepped back encouraging a spin so then she could lean against his chest as he swayed her she couldn’t look into those eyes as they danced like this, she did once and it broke her heart that he wasn’t thinking what she was.

The song pulled at her heart the lyrics especially; she felt the gentlest kiss press to her temple. In response she covered her hands over his and closed her eyes losing herself to the song the words brushed against her ear as AJ sang and shivers ran cold down her spine.

“I hate just how much I adore you, I hate how I can’t be here for you…”his arms tightened around her and she felt her stomach do the same was there a reason he sang those lyrics aloud.

She turned around to face him and crashed into his lips.

She pulled back from him shocked she wanted him but she wondered why he wanted her.

He brought his hand up to her cheek holding her to him with his other hand flat against her back.

“I never know how to act around you babe, you make me feel high when were together.” She sighed and bowed her head a hand now touching his chest.

“In the best way, Sar I miss you when I’m not here.” He felt his speech was failing him she couldn’t stand to look at him, he lifted her chin and acted how he normally would he bruised her lips with his an after a slight pause her lips moved against his her hands on his shoulders as he kissed with a passion that was driving him insane, he was getting carried away.

He pulled away from her knowing he had to control himself she may not want this, or it to go further.

“I don’t wanna fuck things up between us babe, I just I want you so bad” she could hear the longing in his tone that made her blush heavily.

“If you don’t want me like this, if I’ve over stepped the line then I’ll go…” he moved out of her embrace feeling he’d been foolish he snatched up his jacket as she followed him into the hall.

“Alex” she called as she appeared in front of him from the front room he tipped his head back as he faced her front door.

“I’ve waited 2 years for you to kiss me like that, I drove myself insane thinking about how you would taste. If you leave right now…” he turned as she gave her speech.

“You’re a fool” His smile grew devilish and he tossed his coat to the floor as he looked at her she smiled and undid the cord to her dressing gown revealing the figure he’d always imagined to be hiding beneath her clothes.

He crossed over to her and her lips were on his as she fisted his t-shirt she ran her other up his back as he kissed her with a want she’d never felt before a groan slipped past her lips, kissing her neck his hands travelled down over her stomach and to her waist.

As he nibbled her neck she closed her eyes and told herself this was real.

“Take me to bed Alex” he grazed her soft skin with his teeth and she gasped a small laugh following as he looked her in the eye.

“And I thought you were a flowers kind of girl.” Her eyes widened in surprise.

“You”

“Me” he nodded as he kissed her again a smile on his face as he sent her head into a spin.

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10794