The Favor by summer03
Summary: It was supposed to only be a weekend, only a favor. Now it seems to be more can Tori have the courage to tell him that?

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Group
Genres: Alternate Universe, Dramedy, Humor, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: No Word count: 12632 Read: 15724 Published: 01/19/12 Updated: 08/10/12
Story Notes:
Okay so I decided to give this a try..so far I'm actually writing so this story might get me back to writing. Hope you all like. Leave me a comment. :) OH and I can't forget to thank my beta and friend Kevmylove! thank you Erika.

1. Chapter 1 - Favor by summer03

2. Chapter 2 by summer03

3. Chapter 3 by summer03

4. Chapter 4 by summer03

5. Chapter 5 by summer03

6. Chapter 6 by summer03

7. Chapter 7 by summer03

8. Chapter 8 by summer03

9. Chapter 9 by summer03

10. Chapter 10 by summer03

Chapter 1 - Favor by summer03
Tori finished putting the batch of carrot cake cupcakes away when the bell at the door announced someone coming in. She smiled as she recognized the familiar face. One of her loyal customers, in fact she had been waiting for him.
 
“Hey Tori,” his voice interrupted her thoughts. “Can I have my usual?”
 
Tori smiled nervously, “Hey. Sure, coming right up.” She wanted to find a way to ask him what she had practiced only for the past week in a half. Instead, “How's work?” came out her mouth.
 
He looked up from his phone and smiled, “good can't complain.” He was now staring at her, it was odd for her to be making conversation, then again most of the time she was busy.
 
Tori blushed as she looked up, “twelve red velvet cupcakes to go,” she said ringing it up on the register. “It’ll be twelve dollars.” Tori sighed heavily and smiled nervously as she took the twenty dollar bill. “I know this may sound weird and you might never come to my shop again but... I have no choice.” She took a deep breath. “What are you doing this following weekend?” She could feel her cheeks burning as she saw the smirk on Alex's face. She stuttered, “It's just…it’s my sister's wedding and I need a date...and…” she began to talk fast.
 
“You're asking me on a date?” he asked a full grin on his face.
 
“Well, well...” Tori bit her lip. “It's more of a favor. If it’s any comfort I’m paying for the trip.”
 
“Trip?” Alex questioned looking at her curiously.
 
“Yeah to Wisconsin... if you can I mean.” God she could not believe she had come to this. How pathetic was she that she could not find a real date? Not only was her younger sister getting married, but now she was begging a total stranger to be her date. Stranger? Well he really wasn't a stranger he was more of a good customer slash friend right?
 
“Okay.” The young man said as he wrote down his number on the receipt she had just handed him. “Call me so we can talk more about it then, later Tori.”
 
Tori stared at the glass door as he walked out. He had said yes. She folded the piece of paper and put it into her pocket. So she had sort of lied and told her sister Esme that she had a great boyfriend. Her loyal customer would have to do for now, he had agreed to go. She sighed in relief; maybe this trip to Wisconsin would not be so bad after all.
 
She had no more time to think about this mess because then her shop began to get busy. 
 
***********
 
“Hi Tiger,” Tori greeted her Pomeranian as she entered her apartment. She was startled at the sound of her phone ringing, the caller ID showed who it was and so she declined to answer.
 
Taking off her shoes she began her nightly routine. Feeding Tiger and cleaning her one bedroom apartment. It wasn't till she was changing into more comfortable clothes that she remembered the piece of paper with Alex's number.
 
He had nice writing, he was friendly, cute, and he wasn't the super clean cut guy though. But could she pull this off and could he? What had her more perplexed was that he had accepted, that meant he was single right?
 
Taking a seat on the couch with her phone in hand she stared at the number. Could she really go through with this? She had no choice though she had to do this. She dialed the number panic hit her and she pushed the end button before it rang.
 
What exactly was she going to say? Tori bit her bottom lip as she hit redial... it was nerve wrecking as the phone went on the fourth ring. She was about to hang up when she heard the hello. He sounded out of breath, which gave her the urge hang up.
 
But his voice came on again, “Tori is that you?” he asked as he caught his breath.
 
Damn. She couldn't just hang up now he knew who it was. She cleared her throat, “Yeah but if I caught you in a bad time I can call back later.”
 
His chuckle made her blush, “No your fine I just finished my workout. So how was your day?” He asked casually like if they were the best of friends.
 
“Good I can't complain,” Tori answered trying to find the words to explain to him what her proposal earlier was about. “Listen, I know it was very impromptu of me to have asked you like I did what I did...” she was stuttering a flaw she had always had when she became nervous.
 
There was a short silence and then he spoke, “its okay, so why did you ask me?” He cut right to the chase.
 
She took a deep breath and sighed, “I thought about you asking me this and what I would tell you. I have also thought of your reaction...yet I never expected you to accept it.” she finally said to buy herself time to think of the correct words to use on her explanation.
 
“Well how about we meet somewhere and talk,” he said while she detected his amusement in his voice. “How about Calle 12 in an hour?”
 
“Yeah sounds great,” with that she hung up and rushed to get ready. Her stomach making flips as she thought of her explanation and how it had been hard for her to actually find a real boyfriend....
 
How do you tell someone that you are apparently horrible at keeping a boyfriend and that you hadn't really cared till now exactly a week before your younger sister's wedding; where you can't just show up single? Nope. That was a tragedy in her family, especially being twenty seven borderline to thirty. She knew if she went alone, she would get the look of pity from her family and of course her sister would make sure to rub it in her face that she had beaten her to marriage at the age of twenty four.
 
It's not she regretted her life; on the contrary she liked it. Well except for the romance department but she hadn't lost hope yet. Why did the Latin culture think that if you were still single at age thirty you were an old maid?
 
Tori looked at the clock and realized she needed to hurry if she planned to be there before him. She still couldn't believe she had actually asked a stranger per say to go with her to an event where she would be scrutinized for her way of life already. Now she was going to add more drama by bringing a man that she she had never even mentioned to anyone. Yet she needed to... she was not going to get tortured by all her family trying to get her to hook up with a friend or friend of a friend. No this was safer and it would only be a weekend right? Then she would make up a good break up story for her family...
End Notes:
oh the banner is coming soon. :)
Chapter 2 by summer03
Author's Notes:
Okay here chapter 2. Thanks for the banner Erika :)
Who was she kidding she was like always... late. When she walked into the restaurant she spotted him already waiting for her. It didn’t take her long to get the table, she cleared her throat, “Hi sorry I’m late.”

“Hey glad you made it I thought you were not going to come after all.” He said to her as he helped her with her seat. “What would you like to drink?”

“Uhm water,” she said nervously as she watched him take a seat again. “How long have you been waiting?”

“It doesn't matter you're here so, let's order dinner and talk.” Alex gave her a smile she looked nervous to him but it actually made her look cute. “So are you going to tell me?”

Before Tori could answer though the waiter came taking their orders. She felt so awkward being here and she was just about to spill the beans out to this man in front of her. He cleared his throat so she finally looked up at him and not the napkin in front of her, “Here's the thing Alex...” she paused for a few seconds. “My sister is getting married next week and of course I have to go. I need a date to accompany me and I unfortunately lack in male friends that I could ask to accompany me. I've known you for a while now as a faithful customer of “Tori's Cupcakes” so I thought I could ask you for the favor.”

The smug look on his face made her feel like this maybe was a bad idea. “It's just with my business I have little time to mingle and well if you look at it you get a free trip everything paid.” Tori felt like she should flee.

“I said I would do it... on one condition.” He arched his brow, “I want your red velvet recipe.”

Tori smiled, “Deal. I’m desperate here you don’t understand the scrutiny I go through with my family.” she felt relaxed something told her it would be okay. “My family thinks I’m cursed because I have yet to marry and have a family. Especially now that my younger sister is getting married.”

“Are you?” His question caught her off guard.

“NO!” Her voice had gone up an octave. “I just haven't found the man that makes me feel like he's the one.” She stared at him and then she blurted it out, “Its not like you have a significant other.”

Alex's smile faded a little, “mute point.” It was all it took to make his happy face turn gloomy it wasn't long till dinner arrived and they ate quietly. Tori felt guilty having made such comment it seemed to have killed all conversation. She was now hoping to get out of there soon.

“Listen you don't have to do this.” Tori finally broke the silence as the waiter took away the plates. Alex had insisted on paying so she now felt obligated to wait till they both walked out.

He took a deep breath and he smiled again, “I will do it but don't you think I ought to know more about you besides that you have wicked baking skills and that you have a beautiful smile?” His mood seemed to have changed back to a chipper one.

The compliments made her blush and then it dawned on her that he had said her smile was beautiful. She just ignored it though and answered him, “Your right you should know the basics and I should know yours too.”

“Yeah like the fact that I hate cats and that I don't eat anything that looks weird. My favorite colors are black and red.” Alex began to say as he helped her out of her chair.

“Oh okay maybe I should write this down.” Tori said as she walked beside him. “I'm allergic to cats, so we have something in common sort of.”

***********

“No thanks that's enough for me I have to drive back to my house.” Tori said as she declined more wine. She was still trying to comprehend how Alex had convinced her to come to his place.

His place was an office with with a bed in it. He actually lived in West Palm Beach but ever since he had taken over his grandfathers shop he began to stay longer times in Miami so, he made himself a bed in his office. “Why not sell the shop?” Tori asked looking up at him.

A chuckle broke through him, “No I can't this is my grandpa's pride... besides I like it.” He took a sip of wine, “So why is it that you don't have a boyfriend?”

Tori gripped the glass tightly to not drop it as the question hit her, “I did have one but he ended up cheating on me with one of my employees.” Suddenly her stomach did not feel good after bringing back that memory. “I vowed to myself that I would take my time finding the right guy then I just got engrossed in my shop that I just completely stopped dating.”

When Tori looked up his brown eyes were staring at her and her stomach did flips. “It's late I should go but I’ll call you with the arrangements for the trip.” She stood up and and placed her glass on the desk. “Thanks again for doing this...I am in debt to you for this.”

Alex walked her to her car and watched her drive away. He still had to understand his actions and he also had to find someone to tend to the shop while he was gone.

Tori could still see him standing from her rear view mirror as she made the stop. “Tori Olvera what have you done?” she sighed now she had no choice she had to go with it; there was no turning back.

**********

Tori was busy in the back of her shop finishing the last of the flying arrangements, when her employee Jackie yelled. “Tori someone is looking for you.”

“I can't right now Jackie...” Tori said looking up from her computer. “Is it a complaint?”

Jackie laughed and blushed, “No it's the guy that always buys the the red velvet cupcakes.” She whispered next, “He has a rose. I think it's for you.”

That got Tori's attention and quickly she walked out ignoring Jackie's giggles. Sure enough there stood Alex, who seemed to smile as she came out. “HI.” she managed to say looking at him questioningly.

“Hey,” he gave her a smile and leaned in to give her a peck on the cheek. “Oh this is for you.” He handed the yellow rose to her. “I was also wondering if you wanted to go to lunch?”

Tori was still trying to understand what was going on, “well, I was kind of in the middle of something.” Her nerves were kicking in she bit on her lip feeling awkward.

Jackie was already in the front when Alex had asked her to lunch so she spoke, “Hey Tori don't worry about it I’ll help, you go have some lunch.”

Tori could feel her face turning red and bit her tongue as she excused herself to get her purse. Jackie was going to get if from her later, she hurriedly put the rose in water and then she was on her way to eat lunch with Alex.

“I hadn't called you yet.” She blurted out once in the car biting her lip as the way it came out of her mouth. Talk about harsh, “sorry I just didn't expect to see till I called you.”

“I know,” Alex said smiling at her... “but I was thinking it would more credible or believable if we went out? Besides I still have a lot more to learn about you. We should practice don't you think? I mean honestly you still look at me awkwardly if we are to pull this off your suppose to look at me with love and vise versa.”

She knew he was right but yet this had still caught her off guard... “Right! Where are we going.” She had to admit it was nice to have someone take her to lunch and bring her a rose.
Chapter 3 by summer03
“Thank you for lunch.” Tori said as they walked to his car. It was in that precise moment when his phone rang making him look at his phone.

“I'm sorry I have to take this,” Alex said as he answered the phone.

Tori watched him as he talked on the phone. He had a nice smile and well she had to admit a gentleman since again he had paid for lunch. It wasn't till she saw his face right in front of her that she realized she had zoned out. “Oh, sorry.” she blushed as he opened the door for her.

He walked around and into the drivers seat, “Do you mind if we make a quick stop somewhere?”

Did she have a choice? She didn't want to be rude either he had been nice so far. “Uh, no go ahead Jackie has the shop covered I trust her.”

The drive was silent but not awkward, she kept giving him glances trying to figure him out. Soon he was pulling in a tattoo parlor, “I'll be right back.”

“Wait are you getting a tattoo?” She asked as she stared at the building.

Alex shook his head, “No this is my other job.” With that he stepped out and vanished into the tattoo shop.

Tori felt the need to see if she still looked presentable so quickly she got her compact and checked her makeup. She looked decent so she quickly put her compact away and waited patiently for Alex. He was true to his word as he came out and quickly got in.

“Sorry.” he sighed and turned the engine on. “So lets get you back to work.”

**********

“Si mami,” Tori said into the phone as she continued to pack. “I told you it's fine we can stay a hotel.”

Tori continued to listen to her mother talk about everyone attending and how important it was for her to get there to help with the arrangements. Not only that she was now going to be in charge of making a bunch of cupcakes for the rehearsal dinner.

“Yes mom I will call you before we leave.” Tori blew her mother a kiss and hung up. She sighed in relief as she plopped on her bed but no sooner had she laid down there was a knock on her door. Tiger's annoying barks began, “Tiger shhh baby...” Tori demanded as she picked the puppy up and walked to the door.

Jackie smiled as she flashed the bottle of wine and the junk food inside the bag. “Hey Tori,” she walked in and quickly sat on a couch. “I thought we could chill tonight since you leave tomorrow.”

“God I love you Jackie you know me so well,” Tori spoke as she grabbed to glasses from the kitchen and cork screw. “Just finished talking to my mother and she confirmed to me that Howie is in the wedding! I know Esme is doing that on purpose.”

Jackie made a face, “What a bitch,” she said as she poured the wine into the glasses. “Then tell you won't stand in her wedding.”

Tori sighed, “I can't do that she is my sister even she is making my cousin Camila maid of honor instead of me!” she took her glass and took a sip.

Jackie shrugged, “Oh and you can't forget Alex the hunk your taking as your boyfriend.” She turned to look at her friend, “I still can't believe you actually asked him to go with you. He's so handsome.”

She slapped her friend slightly and giggled, “Jackie he's still available after the wedding you can ask him out, tell you what I will even help you.” Tori told Jacking as she opened the twizzler's bag.

“Uh, no Tori I don't know what planet your from but that man likes you. No one would accept such a proposal from a stranger, well not anyone that is sane.” Jackie said, “Besides you two make a cute couple.”

Right. Tori rolled her eyes and sighed, “Your crazy Jackie... now come lets put a movie in?”

“What are we watching?” Jackie asked getting comfortable.

“Sense and Sensibility.” Tori said as she pushed play and took a seat. Jane Austen always made get in a good mood, that she needed at the moment.

*********

“Tori!” the high pitched voice made her stop. Esme her sister was running toward her and Alex.

“See what I mean loud family,” Tori told Alex who looked very amused a short very quirky woman got closed and embraced Tori. “Hi Esme.”

“I can't believe you're finally here,” Esme continued to gush and then she finally saw the man standing beside her sister, “and you must be Alex.”

Alex was caught off guard as the young woman hugged him, he hugged back feeling a little awkward... “Yeah I’m Alex it's nice to finally meet you.”

“Where's mom,” Tori asked a little annoyed already by her sister.

“She couldn't come but she is waiting on you, lets go then.” Esme said as she began to walk out the airport. The Jeep was waiting for them with none other than Nick her fiance waiting.

“Hey Tori nice to see you again.” He flashed her a smile as he helped with the luggage. “I'm Nick by the way.” he extended his hand to Alex who was also helping put the luggage in.

Tori watched as Alex and Nick introduced each other and finished putting their luggage into the Jeep. She was about to hop into the car when she felt Alex's hand on her back and opened the door for her. “Here babe let me help you,” she felt a slight shiver as she felt him near her.

Soon they were on the way, “I did tell you the ride home is an hour right?” Tori asked Alex who sat beside her his hand intertwined with hers. He had told her before hand that would help make this whole thing more believable.

He nodded and gave her smile, “Yeah you did...” he brought her hand to his mouth and gave it a kiss.

That was all it took for Esme to talk, “Aww look at you two so lovey dovey... soon we will be going to Florida for your wedding Tori.” She turned to look at them.

“Maybe.” Alex said winking at Tori.

Tori only blushed and prayed that this ride would soon end...

Sure enough soon they were pulling into the long dirt road that led to the big house. She sighed as she saw her family all waiting, “Mother never learns does she... did she bring everyone over?”

Alex looked out too and it suddenly hit him. He was nervous now, as soon as the car stopped a woman opened the door and screamed as she took hold of Tori.

“Mija! Welcome home.” Magdalena Olvera said hugging her daughter tightly.

“Hi mom,” Tori pulled away and turned to face Alex. “Mami this is Alex my boyfriend.”

Alex suddenly felt hot and nervous... he couldn't turn back now though.
Chapter 4 by summer03
Author's Notes:
Okay here the next chapter. eek, hope you all like :)
“Papi,” Tori smiled as she saw her father. He was standing on the porch watching everyone pounce on her and her fake beau. She ran to him as he opened his arms, “your still very guapo papi.”



He laughed at her comment as he embraced her, “Victoria you have not changed mija.” Jose kissed his daughter’s cheek. “You’re the pretty one you know.”



Alex was watching Tori and her father interact before he cleared his throat. “Hello sir.”



Jose turned to look at the man standing in front of him, “Hello and who are you?”



“Papi this is Alex my boyfriend.” Tori said quickly.



“I see,” Jose walked down the steps and stood in front of a nervous Alex. “Jose Guadalupe Olvera Ramirez.” He extended his hand firmly.



“Hi, I’m Alexander James McLean.” Alex felt compelled to say his full name too.



“Isn’t he cute,” Magdalena gushed as she looped her arm around Alex. “Now come on mijo lets go inside I am sure you and Tori are starving. Besides you look too skinny we need to fatten you up this weekend.”



There was laughing all around as everyone began to walk inside. But they stopped when they saw the red and blue lights approaching as the cop car made a halt. Tori groaned and sighed heavily. “Tori!” A tall bald man said whistling. “Get your ass down here and say hi to your brother!”



“Fine,” Tori said walking up to him. “I can’t believe you’re bald?” she hugged him.



“I here you brought a boyfriend.” He gave her a grin.



“Yes and you better be nice to him Roberto.” She pointed at him and was about to call Alex when out of the cop car emerged a much shorter man a smug look on his face.



“Hola Tori.” The young man said as he stared at her. “You look nice. Florida has been good to you.”



“Hi Howie.” Tori cleared her throat. “Uh…It’s nice seeing you again.”



“Howie is my partner.” Roberto said as he wrapped his arm around Tori. “I’m starving lets eat I know Ma made tamales. Where’s this boyfriend of yours anyway.”



Tori was glad for Roberto and she put on a smile as she pointed out Alex. “His name is Alex.”



Alex had seen it all but had stayed quiet till now as he was shaking her brother’s hand. “Nice to meet you.”



**********



“Wow your family can throw a party huh?” Alex said as he caught Tori sitting alone on the porch.



“Yeah, that we can.” She smiled at him as he sat beside her. “How you like my family so far?”



He chuckled, “It’s interesting but in a good way. Your mom really is trying to over stuff me though.”



“Wait till you meet my Nana.” Tori said smiling as she took a sip of her mojito. She sighed, as she looked out into the vast land. “Thank you.”



Alex was about to respond when they heard the laughter coming from outside. Roberto stopped and stared at them. “So Alex the guys and I thought it would be good to take you fishing with us tomorrow to Lake Mendota.” He was smiling widely.



“Roberto,” Tori said standing up.



“What Tori? Alex needs to be initiated into the family. I mean Nick survived right Nicky?” Roberto said as he eyed Nick who was with him among other cousins and friends.



“I'd love to go.” Alex said standing up smiling. He wrapped his arm around Tori's waist, “Don't worry babe I've fished before.”



“Fine,” Tori said eying her brother. “Roberto if there's one scratch on him tomorrow and your mine. I know about you and your fishing trips.” She was now standing inches away from her brother she had to be on her tip toes but she was serious. “Oh and you Chuy you better not give him some of your homemade Tequila!” she told her cousin as she eyed all the men.



“Oh come on Tori,” Howie said coming from in between the crowd. “I'll make sure everything goes smoothly.



“Mas vale,” Tori said as she grabbed her glass and chugged the rest of her drink.



“Mija whats wrong?” As soon as her father came out everyone became quiet.



“Nada papi Roberto here is taking Alex fishing tomorrow.” Tori said. “You know how that normally goes.”



“Is that so Roberto...I haven't gone fishing in a while. I might just join you all tomorrow. Besides I have to get to know Alex more.” Jose said eying Alex.



“See it’s settled don't you worry Tori. Alex will be in good hands. You worry about your baking for the rehearsal.” Roberto said smiling.



“Fine but you'll have to pick him up cause we are staying at the Ramada.” Tori said still a little annoyed she knew that fishing trip was going to be a big disaster. Alex did not know what he was getting into.



“Wait a minute you are not going anywhere... I fixed the basement for you two.” Jose said smiling proudly.



Great. Tori felt herself blush. Now she was stuck in the basement with Alex. “Thanks papi, but really we don't mind.”



“Victoria you’re staying here and that's that.” her father said in his firm macho voice.



Tori knew not to say anything more, “Okay if you insist.”



Just then her mother came out with a camera. “Okay everyone gather around now its picture time.”



Suddenly everyone was all gathered together and a running Esme made in time to be in it. “I'll be fine don't worry.” Alex whispered to her as he got close to her for the picture.



“I hope,” Tori said softly as she smiled for the picture.



**********



It was past eleven and everyone was still wide awake. People were dancing now and Alex seemed to have fun as he danced with her mother. He seemed to be taking in the ambient naturally which was a good sign.



Tori just watched as she swung herself on the tire swing. She did miss some part of this life she once had. “God I hope everything goes well.”



“Why shouldn't it?” Howie said.



Tori's heart stopped as she saw him beside her. “My god you scared me.”



He chuckled, “It's nice to see you again, you look beautiful.”



“Howie please.” Tori said as she stopped swinging.



“What Tori? Wait I’m not trying anything I promise I know you can't see me like that. But the truth is the truth you know.” He took a drink of beer. “Alex seems nice and he is a very lucky guy.”



“I'm the lucky one.” Tori said feeling uncomfortable as Howie stared at her. “I'm sorry Howie.”



He chuckled and sighed, “Just remember that I’m here always.”



“Thanks,” Tori said feeling awkward. “I should go inside its a little cool outside.” she began to walk to the house feeling relieved. Howie sometimes made her feel guilty knowing that her parents would have loved had she accepted him as her husband. To bad she just couldn't see him as more than a friend.
End Notes:
Thanks Erika for your help :)
Chapter 5 by summer03
“I’m sorry about this,” Tori said nervously as she grabbed her carry on bag. “I didn’t expect dad to fix the basement just for us.”
 
“You have to stop apologizing Tori. Really its fine, besides the bed is big enough.” Alex said as he dug through his luggage.
 
Tori’s eyes grew as she looked at the bed. Oh no she was not sleeping in the same bed with him, “No after doing this for me you can take the bed, I’ll sleep on the floor.” She gave him an awkward smile before heading into the restroom.
 
Once inside she sighed, god she wanted to keep calm. It was only three days that’s all. She hurriedly changed into her pajamas and stepped out to find Alex already dressed in pajama pants and a wife beater. She couldn’t help but look at his arms and the many tattoos that decorated his arms, “if you need the restroom I’m done.”
 
“Thanks.” He smiled at her as he grabbed a pillow from the bed. “Do you mind if I borrow one of these.” Alex placed it on his makeshift bed on the floor.
 
Tori looked at him surprised, “I can’t let you sleep on the floor.”
 
“Well I can’t let YOU sleep on the floor,” Alex said pointing at her. Alex left her as he disappeared into the restroom.
 
The knock on the door startled her. “Tori it’s me.” Esme asked from above.
 
Tori quickly grabbed the pillow from the floor and picked up the blankets placing them on the bed again. “Yeah sure,” She finally said as she pretended to brush her hair.
 
Esme came down the stairs with a small box. “I know you’re tired but I have to show you this, it’s your dress.” She gave her the box.
 
Tori took the box and looked at her, “Thanks.” She opened the box and took out the aquamarine colored dress. “It’s beautiful.”
 
Just then Alex came out and smiled at them. “hey.” He said nervously as he saw that Tori had picked up his makeshift bed.
 
“Oh hey, sorry I just need Tori to try on her bridesmaids dress in case we need to fix anything.” Esme said smiling at him. “Well…” she looked at Tori with an anxious voice.
 
“Oh right let me go try it on,” she began to walk toward the restroom.
 
“Oh come Tori please its not like I haven’t seen you undress before. We all know Alex has quit being so shy all of a sudden.” Esme said as she took a seat on the bed. “Besides you’re going to need help with the zipper.”
 
“Right.” Tori nervously began to remove her clothes the faster she did the faster this would be over. “Can you help me with the zipper?” She looked at her sister who quickly got up and helped her.
 
“Wow mom was right you did loose weight.” Esme said but you could here the hint of jealousy. “It looks good. What do you think Alex?”
 
Alex stuttered a little, “It looks nice.” He continued to stare at her and he couldn’t help smile when he saw the red tint forming on Tori’s cheeks.
 
“Perfect,” Esme said heading to the stairs. “See you tomorrow, good night.”
 
“Night.” Tori said trying to sound calm and not mad like she really was.
 
“You really do look nice; I had never seen you in a dress.” Alex said as he began to fix his bed again.
 
“Thanks I guess. Listen lets do this I sleep under the covers and you on top. The floor seems hard and cold.” Tori said as she went the right side of the bed. “Just stay on your side.” she gave him a weak smile. Then she realized she was still wearing the dress and quickly grabbed her pajamas and ran to the restroom to change.
 
********
 
Tori opened her eyes when she felt the light tap on her shoulders. “Tori I need you to wake up.”
 
“I’m sorry what time is it?” She asked.
 
“Its six in the morning sister of mine,” Roberto answered smiling at her. “I came to take Alex but your all up on him.” he pointed toward them.
 
Tori felt a hot flash when she realized she was cuddled her head on his shoulder. Crap! She must have done that during the night. She quickly moved away and cleared her throat. “Sorry…”
 
Alex got up to get ready. “You’re fine.” He said before disappearing into the restroom.
 
Tori took that moment to warn her brother again, “Roberto you better behave.”
 
“Relax Tori I actually like this dude he isn’t like the other Frou-frou’s you’ve dated. He actually looks descent.” He chuckled, “Don’t worry about me sis you should worry about dad no?”
 
Roberto was right damn. She only hoped that Alex remembered everything they had talked about. “Just bring him back in one piece.”
 
“We will you enjoy your day hermanita,” Roberto said as Alex came out ready to go.
 
*******
 
Tori hadn’t been able to sleep anymore so she was up early. She found her mother already in the kitchen making breakfast. “Its smells good.”
 
“Sit mija want a burrito?” Magdalena told her daughter as she served her a cup of coffee.
 
“Yeah sure,” Tori smiled at her mother she missed this. “Thank you mami.” 

”Good morning,” Esme said waltzing in all happy.
 
“Morning,” Tori said smiling at her. She never understood her sister and her ways. Esme was too competitive and she knew it wouldn’t take long for them to bump heads.
 
“Nana arrives today,” Esme said, “I can’t wait for her to see my dress.”
 
“I think I should get started on these cupcakes.” Tori said trying to avoid unnecessary talk with her sister.
 
“I think I should go with you,” Esme said standing up.
 
Tori was about to protest when they heard the loud scream! “Tori!” In came a tall brunette who quickly embraced Tori. “I can’t believe you’re here! So where is he?” she asked looking around.
 
“He went fishing with the boys.” Magdalena spoke handing the brunette a cup of coffee. “Laura is taking Tori to get the things for the cupcakes.” She stared at Esme.
 
“Yes I am, whenever you’re ready Tori.” Laura said.
 
“Yeah well I’m ready lets go.” Tori said as she smiled at her cousin. “Its better this way Esme you have to get ready for the rehearsal you know. You should be getting pampered.”
 
“Yeah call your maid of honor Camila to go with you.” Laura said smiling at Esme.
 
“I guess you both are right I should, let me go call Camila.” They watched her leave and quickly they left.
 
Once in the car Laura sighed, “So tell me what his name is and how you two met?”
 
“Well… I met him at my shop.” Tori began smiling as she felt more comfortable with being with her cousin. “It was love at first sight.” She hated the fact that she was lying to her but it was just a small white lie right? “He became a constant shopper and then one day he asked me out and well here we are.”
 
“I heard from Letty that he is tatted up!” Laura said smiling from ear to ear. “How did my uncle take that?”
 
Tori found herself laughing, “He hasn’t said a thing but then again Alex is a gentleman.” She was smiling as she remembered how well Alex had taken in the situation.
 
“I can’t wait to meet him tonight at the rehearsal,” Laura said excitedly.
 
Tori only smiled as she felt a pang in her gut just thinking about how Alex was doing. She wondered if Roberto was true to his word and was Alex still in one piece. Then her dad was with them? Her dad tended to be a little over protective. She began to pray a few hail Mary’s in her head hoping for the best on that fishing trip. “I can’t wait for you to meet him either.” She finally said as they parked at the Piggly Wiggly grocery store.
Chapter 6 by summer03
“You should go get ready mami,” Tori told her mother as she sighed in relief. “Now I just have to put the icing on them.”

“Yeah and I’ll help with that,” Laura said as they looked around at all the batches of cupcakes cooling.

“Fine I’ll leave.” Magdalena said as she took off her apron and walked away.

“You did it Tori,” Laura sighed heavily. “Well let’s do this we only have a couple of hours left.”

Tori knew Laura was right and she began making the frosting. Before she knew it all the cupcakes were almost done and Laura had left to get ready. She was in the last batch of cupcakes when she heard the commotion coming from just outside the door.

Soon Roberto was inside laughing and talking about how many fish they had caught. Tori was smiling but continued to work on the last cupcakes. When she felt someone was staring at her she looked up and was met with Alex's brown eyes.

“Hey,” he said walking into the big dinning room where the table was full of cupcakes. “Wow these look good.”

“Thanks.” Tori said as she looked at her work she was proud of it. “I just hope everyone likes them.”

“I'm sure they will you’re the best baker I know.” Alex said as he pointed to her cheek.

“What?” Tori asked wiping her cheek.

“You have frosting... wait its still there.” Alex approached her and his thumb wiped her cheek. He was very close and he could feel her get uncomfortable. “I had fun.”

“Yeah?” Tori asked making herself look at him. He was so close she could feel his breath near her face, “so Roberto kept his promise?”

Alex chuckled a little, “yes and I’m in one piece. The conversation with your dad was also very enlightening I must say.” He gave her a smug smile as he left.

“Wait what he say?” Tori asked but couldn’t go after him she had to finish frosting. Great her dad had talked to Alex and she had a feeling it was not a good talk about her. Why did her father have to be so damn protective?

“See you later sis,” she heard Roberto scream before he left. She hurriedly finished her task in hand; she had to still get ready…

************

Tori had been quiet as she was getting ready. Alex was already dressed and sat quietly doing god knew what on his phone; she could see him from the mirror where she now was struggling to make her hair look descent.

“Mother Fuck-,” she stopped from finishing her sentence and put her finger in her mouth. That was it she gave up she looked fine. Damn curling iron had really gotten her.

“You alright?” Alex asked looking at her with a smug smile.

“Yes just burned my finger with this curling iron.” Tori said clearing her throat, “So are you going to tell me what my father told you?”

Alex looked up from his phone and stared at her. “IT was nothing bad really. Just you know he wants me to take care of you and most of all he doesn’t want me to hurt you. He said if I did he would make me into barbacoa?” He widened his eyes in horror.

Tori rolled her eyes, “my daddy is not capable of killing a fly, so you have nothing to fear.” She said after applying on some lip gloss. “Ok I’m ready let’s go.”

“I know.” Alex responded as he stood up and stared at her. “You look nice by the way, red really looks good on you.”

She smiled at him and looked at him, “You look good in a tie too.” She grabbed her purse and with that the two went upstairs where her father waited. “Daddy.” Tori said startled to see him look so nice in a suit.

“Let’s go mija they’re just waiting on us.” He smiled at her and led them to his truck.

The ride to the rehearsal dinner at the hotel was awkward as her father listened to his music and whistled along. Tori only sighed as she kept turning shades of red.

**********

Tori was exhausted by the time they had finished practicing how they would come into the reception tomorrow. She was glad that Esme had thought of it all and Alex was going to be her partner and not Howie like she had expected.

Now everyone was enjoying the night with all the close friends and of course Esme had made her say a toast; for practice she had said. Now here she was drinking up her fifth or sixth flute of champagne and watching her Nana interact with Alex. He was a charmer because her grandma continued to laugh at whatever it was he was saying.

“I must say he is very hot,” Laura said sitting beside Tori. “I think I’m actually jealous that you found him first.” She dug through her purse and took out six small tequila bottles. “I think we need to start the party up, I sent Mario to get the karaoke system down.” She was smiling as she chugged a little bottle.

Tori couldn’t help laugh at her cousin, “You are crazy Laura! Esme is going to kill you.”

“No she is not she is going to thank me you’ll see.” Laura handed her a bottle, “Come on drink.”

Tori shook her head, “No I’m good.”

“Oh Hell no!” Laura said giving her a look, “You down this or I tell Alex about that one time in college when…” she didn’t finish talking cause Tori’s hand was on her mouth. “That’s what I thought drink up.”

Tori sighed and downed the little bottle, “god I forgot how strong tequila is by itself.” She felt the burning sensation slowly make its way to her stomach. Laura handed her another one and Tori didn’t think twice she drank it.

Soon Mario her cousin was setting up the Karaoke and to Tori’s surprise Esme was the first to sing. She had found it very funny how everyone was now joining in. “I’ll be right back.” Laura told her leaving her and made her way to the mic.

“Hey,” Alex startled her as he sat by her. “I see your cousin is about to sing.”

“Yeah she sings well too.” Tori said looking at Alex. “My family is a little crazy as you can see.”

“I’m having fun don’t worry.” He gave her a smile but her glassy eye look told him she was tipsy. He was about to tell her something when his phone interrupted him. “I have to take this, I’ll be right back.”

Tori nodded only as she watched him leave the reception. She was too busy enjoying her cousin sing. Before she knew it Laura was calling her name and a round of applause came. She was getting persuaded to sing; the way she was feeling she didn’t need much persuasion so she made her way to the mic.

“Your favorite,” Laura said handing her the mic as the Ranchera song began to play. She began to laugh as she realized what she was going to sing.

She heard her brother whistle as she began to sing. She hadn’t sung in Spanish in a long time but she found that when you’re feeling good the words flow out easily. She began to feel the song and what it said about heart break! She got into the song she hadn’t notice that Alex was back and was watching her intently.

Finally she heard the applauds and the whistles from her family, “Wow that felt good.” She said as she handed the mic to someone and made it to a chair. She was feeling good right about now, “where’s Laura?” she asked looking around and did not see her.

Tori needed more tequila so she began looking for her cousin and soon she was outside looking for her. “Laura?” she called out as the breeze hit her and she came to a halt “Oh,” suddenly she didn’t feel so good.

She felt the floor under her move and suddenly she could not control her step, she began to fall but before she fell she felt strong arms take hold of her. “Hey!” she gave Alex a weak smile.

“Hi it seems you’re a bit drunk.” Alex said helping her stand keeping his arm around her. “Come on lets get you inside.”

“No I was looking for Laura,” she said as she tried to walk toward the parking lot, but his grip was not allowing her. “I just want more tequila.” She giggled as she held onto him when she felt herself tripping. “Oops maybe your right.” She looked up at him he was smiling at her.

“We should go inside,” he told her.

“Wait,” she said blowing a strand of her hair away from her face. “I just want to thank you for doing this. I owe you big time don’t I?” she asked him as she stared into his brown eyes. “You’re such a gentleman.”

“Tori I think you should not talk about that right now.” He was now laughing in amusement. Tori was actually a cute and loud drunk.

“You know Laura is right now that I look at you…” she got closer to him only inches away from his face. “You are cute,” she sighed and smiled before she caressed his face. “Really cute,” she murmured as she closed her eyes and her lips connected to his.
End Notes:
heh, hope you all like. :)
Chapter 7 by summer03
Tori stirred and groaned as she heard her name being called, “don't scream I can hear you.” Finally she opened her eyes and quickly shut them as she felt the pounding on her head. She felt like crap, “my head hurts.”

The horrible pain in her head made her wake up. God it felt like a hammer had been beating her all night. “Good morning,” she groaned as she heard Alex’s voice, “my head is killing me.” She looked up to see Alex had a bottle of pills and a glass of water. “Are those for me?”

“Yes,” Alex said chuckling, “after last night I figured you would need these.”

Tori hadn’t even thought about last night and quickly got up to go to the restroom. Once inside and the cold water hit her face that she remembered the night before, “Oh my god.” Her hand hit her forehead.

“You okay?” she heard Alex ask from outside.

“Yes,” she managed to say but inside she wasn’t. She finished up and walked out the restroom, “last night I got drunk…” she was stuttering. “I came on to you.” She paused her face turning shades of red, “did we?” Tori couldn’t even say it as she took the pills and water from him.

Alex watched her with a grin on his face, “Yes you kissed me and yeah you tried to go further,” he chuckled when he saw the look of horror on her face.

“Oh my god! I’m so sorry I don’t know what got into me…” she closed her eyes and tried to remember.

“Tori relax… I don’t know if you haven’t noticed but,” Alex was staring at her a grin on his face.

“Morning you two!” Esme yelled as she walked down the steps, “Tori!” she said as she looked at the couple. “We have to go.”

“I'm not ready.” Tori said looking at herself.

“Well get dressed we have to be at the hair salon in thirty minutes, where's your dress I’ll put in the car.” Esme said.

Tori hurriedly grabbed a pair of jeans and shirt, she stared at Alex. “Sorry. We'll talk later? We have a wedding to get to.”

Alex smiled at her and nodded. “Yeah, see you at the church.”

**********

“We are so late,” Laura said as the limo stopped in front of the chapel.

“Its tradition,” Esme said smiling. “Okay ladies it's time.”

Tori sighed as she wiped off the pink lipstick and quietly only applied lip gloss. She hated how much makeup she was wearing but she was going to be nice and keep the rest of it on. Tori smiled as she walked beside Laura who had done some changes to herself too.

“Let’s hope the groom isn’t half way to México already.” Laura whispered to her as they walked in to be greeted by her mother and the wedding planner.

The rest was a blur to Tori as they were partnered up and lined up to walk down the isle. She nervously greeted Alex who was staring at her. “Hey,” she stood by him. “How did it go today?”

He smiled at her and quietly nodded, “It was good your mom fed us before we got dressed and then we helped a little at the reception. After I rode with Howie and Roberto here.” His eyes went to stare at the short man that was partnered with another girl. “He seems to really care for you.”

Tori looked over to see Howie staring at her and she sighed, “Yeah it scares me sometimes.”

“Why is he an ex?” Alex asked and slightly smile when he saw the look on Tori's face.

“No,” Tori said clearing her throat. She didn't a get chance to say more because soon they were in position and they began the ceremony.

The wedding ceremony was very long and traditional, Tori even wondered why Nick had agreed to make it a Catholic wedding. Heck she didn’t understand why Esme went for a traditional wedding either. If she ever got married she was definitely not going traditional because first of all she had to admit she was not a very devoted catholic, in fact she probably only went to church in Easter.

“You okay?” Alex asked as they walked out into the limo that awaited for the groomsmen and bridesmaids.

“Yeah I’m fine just it was a long ceremony.” Tori sighed heavily as she hopped into the limo followed by Alex.

“It kind of was...” Alex said as he took a seat next to her.

**********

Tori took another sip of her champagne as she watched the people on the dance floor. “Want more?” Alex's voice brought her back from her trance.

“No I’m good don't want to get drunk again. I need to stay sober.” She smiled at him. “Thanks though.”

“I'm having a blast by the way.” Alex told her as he looked at her.

“Well I do have to admit that my family can throw a party.” Tori said laughing. “If there's something we the Olvera's are good at its throwing a party!”

“I see and I actually think I've gained weight.” Alex said laughing along. “I'm glad I accepted coming with you, I needed to get out of my regular routine.”

“Even if I did kiss you and made a fool of myself yesterday,” Tori asked turning shades of red.

Alex sighed and shook his head, “Tori,” he stared at her. “I think you are blind.”

“Come on Tori Esme is about to throw the bouquet,” Laura said pulling on her. “Sorry Alex but this is important.” Laura winked at Alex.

Alex shook his head and chuckled, his plans of talking to Tori were always getting interrupted. He smiled as he saw all the single ladies line up behind the bride who was about to throw the bouquet.

Tori turned to look at Alex who seem very amused at the Latin rituals for a wedding. She wasn't even listening till she felt the bouquet of orchids hit her face, she just heard the screams as she grabbed the bouquet. Great. Just great she had caught the bouquet out of pure luck.

“Congrats sis this only means it will finally be your turn to get married,” Esme told her hugging her.

Tori laughed nervously as she endured the applause from everyone for her great catch. She took a seat next to Alex who was laughing. “I hate this.” she told him putting the bouquet to the side. “So you were saying?”

Alex was about to talk again when he was dragged out to catch the garter. Tori was not frustrated but she couldn't help laugh as she saw Nick's antics as he took the garter from Esme's leg.

She crossed her fingers as he threw it in the air and then she felt her breath leave as she saw Alex catch it. He was actually blushing as Roberto made fun of him. How great was this?
Chapter 8 by summer03
“Hey,” Alex took a seat next to Tori, she was sitting on the porch swing with the bouquet she had caught in hand.

Tori smiled up at him, “hey,” she scooted over for him to sit. “What a day right?”

“It was fun,” Alex said taking a deep sigh. “I mean you caught the bouquet which only means your the next in the family to be happily married.” He chuckled as Tori rolled her eyes at his comment.

“Right,” she sighed heavily, “thanks for helping us clean up.”

“It's nice out tonight,” Alex said smiling at her. “Tomorrow night we will be back in Florida.”

Tori smiled, “I actually miss Florida... so does this mean that you won't be coming to my bakery anymore since you will have my secret recipe?”

“Yes that's exactly what it will mean... I was actually thinking of opening my own bakery to give you competition and better your recipe.” Alex chuckled. “I actually was hoping to see you more often outside of the bakery.”

Tori froze when she heard his last words. “I'd bore you, I’m a pretty boring person.”

Alex disagreed shaking his hand, “I don't think you've realized that I like you.” He smiled as he looked at her, “I had my eye on you for a while actually but I didn’t know how to make my move and then you ask me to come with you as your boyfriend to your sister's wedding... I knew it was my chance to get to know you. I mean did you really think I would agree to something like this with just anyone?”

“You like me?” Tori asked puzzled at his confession.

“Yes and even after meeting your crazy family!” he said as he took her hand. “So how about it? Want to be my girlfriend?”

Tori stared at Alex not believing what she had just heard. How had she not realize it? Had she really been this blind? Now that she realized he was right there is no way she would have accepted an offer like hers had some random guy asked her.

“Tori?” Alex asked after waiting for her to speak and not getting a response.

Tori blinked and gave him a nervous smile, “I'm just a little surprised.” She cleared her throat and looked at him again, “I'm very flattered... so does this mean we will actually have a real first date?”

Alex chuckled and sighed in relief, “yes.” He approached her and grabbed her face softly, “but I've been wanting to do this for a while.” With that he kissed her.

*********

“I'm going to miss you Mija,” Magdalena told her daughter as they cooked breakfast.

“I will too...” Tori told her but would not extend an invitation not yet anyway.

“You look radiant today and the smile on your face is just mesmerizing...” Tori groaned as she felt her mother squeeze her cheeks.

Tori would have protested but just then her father came in demanding breakfast. The morning was spent at the breakfast table with her mother telling Alex all her embarrassing moments from when she was younger. Somehow though she felt better at him knowing all this now that she was officially dating him. She smiled and blushed as she caught Alex staring at her.

After packing Tori sighed in relief, she would be in Miami tonight. She grabbed the basket and walked up the stairs. “Where you going?” Alex asked startling her.

“Somewhere want to come along?” she asked him with a mischievous look.

“Okay,” Alex said turning off the television and followed her outside. “Where are we going?”

“You'll see,” they walked up the hill and in the woods. “This is where you would find me every spring...” Tori said as she continued to walk, till they came to a halt in a meadow with many bushes of wild black berries. “We are here.” she was smiling as she picked a ripe black berry and put it in her mouth.

Alex looked around and sighed, “it's very nice out here.” He pointed to the basket in her hand. “I'm assuming we are picking this berries?”

“That's right,” Tori said as she began to pick them. “I can make the best black berry cupcake with these. Plus these are the sweetest black berries you will ever taste.”

“Are you going to have time to make these cupcakes because now I want to taste them.” Alex said as he began to pick for black berries.

“No I’m having mom freeze them and send them to me.” She smiled at him and cleared her throat. “I'm sorry about my mom showing you all my baby pictures.”

Alex laughed and smiled at her, “I enjoyed the bonding experience with her it was very interesting to learn so much of you and Cece.”

“Hey Cece meant a lot to me even if she was an invisible friend.” Tori said defensively. “Besides she always to the blame for my bad behavior...”

“I just never would have pictured you as the type to have had an invisible friend.” Alex commented as he continued to collect the berries.

Tori laughed and sighed looking at him quizzically, “You know you've been learning about me and I have yet to know more about you. I demand to see baby pictures when we get back to Miami.”

Alex only chuckled and shook his head, “no can do they were all burned in a fire long ago.”

“Shut up liar,” Tori said as she tried to push him only making herself trip but she sighed in relief when Alex caught her.

“I see why you like these berries they must have alcohol in them you’re getting clumsy on me again,” laughing at her he helped and suddenly he was staring into her green eyes.

“I'm not drunk,” Tori said as she stared back at him suddenly she began to feel the butterflies in her stomach as he cupped her cheek. She closed her eyes in anticipation as Alex neared her his lips connecting with hers.

After pulling away he sighed, “Maybe I just might let my mother show my baby pictures... maybe.”

Tori smiled at the thought of him already planning for her to meet his mother. “Oh I’m seeing pictures it's not fair for you to have seen mine and I won't get to see yours!” She threw him a berry and continued to pick the berries.

*********

“Que dios te bendiga Mija,” Magdalena told her daughter as they helped with the luggage.

“Bye mom,” Tori hugged her and then looked toward her dad who was quiet as he helped Alex with the luggage which was all piled now on the porch. “Papi, give me a hug.”

The loud honk from the SUV startled them as Roberto stepped out. “Ready Tori?” he smiled and hugged her. “I'm going to miss you squirt,” he then began to put the luggage into the car.

“It was really nice meeting you Alex and I hope to hear from you more often now.” Magdalena said smiling at him and then surprising him with a hug.

Before she knew it she was leaving the dirt road the lead to her house and was now on the highway. Tori sighed and felt melancholy as she looked out the window she was going to miss everyone. She hated goodbyes, “you okay?” Alex asked her as he took her hand in his.

“Just I hate goodbyes.” Tori answered smiling at him.

“No you’re just a big sap that's what it is.” Roberto said from the drivers seat. “I do admit it's not the same with you not here though.”

The rest of the ride was pleasant as her brother made plans to visit and go fishing now in Alex's territory. She hugged her brother goodbye one more before he left and they headed to customs.

“I can't wait to get home,” Alex said as he stood by her.

“I can't either I miss my dog and my bakery...” Tori admitted as they waited for their flight to be called. She smiled as she realized she was heading home and she was not single anymore...
End Notes:
sorry for the long wait everyone I've been super busy with work and stuff. But here is the next chapter hope you all are still interested. :)I will reply to your reviews asap.
Chapter 9 by summer03
“You look smitten,” Jackie continued to tease Tori as she helped her set the cupcakes.

“Shut up and get to work!” Tori said as she turn shades of red. “He's going to my apartment tonight. I’m cooking.”

Jackie was grinning, “see I knew he liked you.”

Tori rolled her eyes, “I have to admit he is very interesting and romantic.” She continued to frost the cupcakes in front of her. “I still don't know what I’m going to cook.”

Jackie giggled, “knowing you, you will go all out. Maybe you should go home now and start on the preparations, I got this.” She pointed to the rows of cupcakes.

“Really? I've already had you work alone for a few days...” Tori bit her lip as she stared at her friend.

“Go! Just keep this in mind when I ask for my raise!” she gave Tori a smile.

“I won't,” grabbing her purse she walked out the bakery and into her car. She had a lot to do make sure her apartment looked descent and then there was the question on what she was going to cook. Alex had seem to like Mexican food so she felt it would good to do that.

By the time Tori arrived home she had settled on making a nice Italian dinner accompanied by some Tiramisu prepared by herself. She began her preparations and lost track of time, by the time she saw the clock she had only enough time to get cleaned up and change.

Tori was very satisfied with her work the food smelled good and her apartment was impeccable. Tiger was in his house fast asleep, she smiled as she checked the clock. He was running late by a few minutes, but it gave her the time to check over everything again.

After checking she took a seat and waited patiently for him. Fifteen minutes later and she finally got the courage to call him but she was sent straight to his voice-mail. She wondered if something must have come up at work and decided to wait a bit more.

An hour later she was mad and was throwing all the food away. Tiger was whining hiding under the table, he knew Tori was mad as she continued to curse and throw things out. What made her tick the most was the fact that he had not called and he didn’t answer her call well by now it was calls.

See this was why she had given up on dating. In this world there was just to many jerks. She heard the doorbell and ran to answer it. “He ditched me!” she yelled as Jackie made her way in.

Giving Tori a big hug, “I'm sorry Tori he is such a jerk. Next time I see him I’m going to give him a piece of my mind. I can't believe he did this, I thought you said he told he wanted to get to know you more.”

“That's what he had said.” Tori said as she poured herself shot glass of tequila. “I should have know he sounded to good to be true. Stuff like this don't happen to me, I should just accept Howie's offer.” she grimaced as she thought about being married to Howie.

“You don't have to do that either you're just upset right now. Relax here lets just have some drinks and watch a movie.” Jackie said as she poured herself a glass of wine.

*********

Alex had finally turned on his phone and felt his stomach drop at the three missed calls from Tori. He had forgotten about it with the last call he had gotten from his mother. Now that everything was calm he was thinking of a way to call Tori and explain to her his absence to there date.

“He wants to see you again.” His mother interrupted his thoughts.

Alex put his phone away again and walked into the room. “Hey bud!” he gave his son a smile. “How's your head?”

“It still hurts but look I got stitches.” The little boy pointed to his forehead. “Dad you got to draw an awesome design on my cast like a tattoo.”

“Of course I will,” Alex looked at his son worriedly he was looking like his mother everyday. Except for his eyes those were his, “hey buddy what do you say to going to Miami with me for bit?”

Jason's eye lit up, “yes I get to hang out with you at papa's shop.”

“I don't think its a good idea Alex,” Francine said as she walked into the room. She took a seat beside her nephew and gave him a kiss on the cheek, “You will be to busy to care for him.”

“I will manage I want him near me and he is excited to go.” Alex said looking at his sister in law. Since his wife's death Francine had practically taken the role of second mother to Jason and he knew she was attached to him but he needed his son till he decided his next move. Of course he wasn't going to tell her about his plans of permanently moving to Miami.

“Well maybe he can visit for a few days and I can go pick him up in a few days?” Francine said smiling at him.

He nodded to bring end to the conversation but he would speak to her alone and tell her alone later. “So Jason the doctor said you will be released later today, I was thinking ice cream.” Alex told his son who was no excited about going with him.

He was still a little shaken up by the call he had gotten from his mother. He got so worried he literally sped all the way, his son had been hurt. He didn't understand Jason's obsession with flying? How he managed to climb up to the porch and try to fly was still a mystery. Jason was not talking about it, but he was bound to bring it up.

“Dad? DAD!” Jason finally got his dad's attention.”We are taking aunt Francine and grandma right?”

Alex smiled, “yes if they want to join us why not?”

********

“I think you should go with me,” Jackie said as she helped Tori with a batch of cupcakes. “It's Friday you need to go with me, besides that way you don't have continue to think about jerk face.”

“Oh I am not thinking about him at all!” Tori said her eyes showed something differently. She was over it...

“Right!” Jackie said realizing that Tori was really upset about it all. A few days had passed by since she had been ditched by Alex. “Well your going with me that's that !”

The door bell at the shop rang and Jackie froze as she recognized Alex. She cleared her throat and smiled, “How may I help you?” She was trying to act polite.

“Hey Jackie... is Tori in?” Alex looked behind her trying to see if Tori was there.

“What are you doing here?” Tori asked as she walked out and spotted him.

“Hey I’m sorry about the other day... let me make it up to you.” Alex said nervously as he sensed that Tori wasn't very happy with him.

Tori laughed and glared at him, “yeah you finally came up with a good excuse? It took you this long to try and come up with one? I don't think I want to hear it... good bye Alex.” Tori handed Jackie the tray with more cupcakes and walked away. He had the nerve to show up after almost a week of no communication? Who did he think he was?

“You okay?” Jackie asked a few minutes later. “He seemed to really want to apologize.”

“No don't go there Jackie you said it yourself he's a jerk!” Tori said still angry.

“Okay fine. He did say he was sorry and that he hoped you would let him explain.” Jackie said handing Tori a bottle of water.
Chapter 10 by summer03
Tori bit her lip as she parked, what was she doing here? The thing was she just couldn't let it go, she needed the explanation. He had been so sweet and nice with her... Besides she did have a bad temper at times.

After the last worker left the shop, she climbed out if her car and made it to the glass door. She spotted Alex looking at a few papers, she knocked on the glass bringing Alex's attention. "Hi," she nanaged to say as Alex opened the door.

"Hey," he sighed in relief. "I'm glad you came... I was already thinking of a way to get you lusten to me."

"I feel like I do need to hear the explanation after all." Tori said nervously as she walked into the office.

"I really am sorry. I was looking forward to that dinner... But ab emergency came up. Tori I think I owe you an explanation, see I have a responsibility that I can't put away. I think it's best I tell you now..." Alex was nervous now he had never really talked about this befote. He hadn't felt the necessity to tell anyone about his personal life till now. "I used to be married and I have a son... Who I love and care for..." He paused waiting for her reaction.

Tori smiled bitterly, "let me guess you decided just now that maybe its best to go bacj to the ex-wife and try to work things out? Well best if luck to you..." She walked toward the door only to feel his grip on her.

"My wife died giving birth to our son... my mother and sister in law have been helping raise him. Jason has been my life these past six years and that night I got a call that no parent ever wants get. He got hurt and was in the hospital I had to go. I meant to call you but things got hectic." Slowly he let go of her hand. "I know it waa wrong of me to have not mentioned this...I'm just a little rusty in the whole dating department. But I'd understand if you can't accept me like this."

Tori was still frozen in place but finally managed to whisper, "I'm sorry." The truth was Alex had gone wrong about this whole situation but now here he was opening up to her. "Is he okay?"

With a chuckle he nodded, "yes he's learned his lesson too. Humans can't fly."

Tori chuckled, "would you like to come over for dinner tonight? I might only make sandwiches but they will be tasty."

"I can't Jason is asleep in there. I don't want to wake him up but how about a raincheck?"

"Oh, he's here with you?" She looked toward the office where she knew Alex slept in.

"Yeah, come on I have to check on him anyway. I'm thinking about moving himout here with me," they walked in to find him soud asleep...

*********

The next morning Jackie was surprised to find Tori busy baking and humming along to the radio. "You're in a good mood today."

Tori looked up from the oven, "I am." The jingle of the bell ended any further explanations.

Jackie put her hand up, "we will finish talking later." Walking out to the front she was surprised to see Alex standing there.

"I'll have the usual," Alex said giving Jackie a smile. Just then a little boy walked in excited to have been able to tie his shoes.

"Daddy I want a strawberry one!"

Jackie looked in surprised as she realized the boy was calling Alex Daddy. She was about to go off on him when Tori came out, "Jackie! Can you go take care of the cupcakes in the oven?"

The look on Tori's face told her not to ask and just do as she was told. So she did but was so going to get an explanation later from her friend!

Tori watched Jackie disappear and turned to face Alex. "Hi," she then turned to look athe little boy.

"Morning. Hey Jason, this is my friend Tori the one I told I wanted you to meet." Alex said as he got his son's attention.

"she's the cupcake lady!" Jason said giggling.

"I am. It's nice to meet you Jason." She extended her hand and shook hands with the little boy. "You can't deny he's your son he has your eyes."

After talking for a few minutes and making plans for dinner rhe three of them. Tori made it to the back and just like she had predicted Jackie pounced for an explanation, which she gladly gave.

So Alex and her had started everything very untraditionally... But she was going to give it a shot, she wasnt getting any younger that was for sure...
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10804