We're Not Kids Anymore by colorguard_diva
Summary:

Sophia hated Nick.

Nick hated Sophia.

It all started in middle school.

As adults, can they stop their childish behaviors and become friends?

Photobucket
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: Bad Girls Club
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 6236 Read: 7792 Published: 02/02/12 Updated: 02/07/12
Story Notes:
This is part of the Bad Girls Club stories. Happy Valentine's Day to all of you!

1. Chapter 1 by colorguard_diva

2. Chapter 2 by colorguard_diva

3. Chapter 3 by colorguard_diva

4. Chapter 4 by colorguard_diva

5. Chapter 5 by colorguard_diva

Chapter 1 by colorguard_diva

“Sophie, how was work?” My best friend Kendra asked as I slid into the booth. It was our weekly girl’s night out. We had been best friends since high school.

“Same old same old. Getting tired of nothing changing.” I commented as I looked at the drink menu.

“Maybe you need to find a new job.” Kendra sipped her wine.

“Yeah, well no one I know is looking for a personal assistant.” I said as the waiter came to take our order. “I’d like a Heineken, the steak salad and a double order of onion rings.”

“I still don’t get how you can eat all that and be so skinny. “ Kendra laughed; then she got serious. “You know Nick is looking for an assistant for the next tour.”

“Hell no!” I said loudly. The people next to us stared at me. I lowered my voice. “You’re crazy to think I would work for that prick.”

“What do you have against him? We aren’t in elementary school anymore.”

“I just don’t like him. He’s always been a cocky ass. From the first day I met him, he rubbed me the wrong way.”

“Who’s rubbing on you, Sophia?” Nick stopped in front of our booth.

“Wouldn’t you like to know.” I shot daggers at him. What was he doing here? Nick always seemed to around.

“I pity the guy that sleeps with you.” He sat down next to Kendra. Great, he was going to impose on girl’s night.

“And I pity all the women you’ve given STDS.” I countered back. There was no way I was going to let Nick Carter get one over me. “At least I know how to have a monogamous relationship.”

“When was that? I haven’t seen you with a man in over two years. You must not be very good in bed.” Nick sat back and laughed.

“Not like you’ll ever find out. I don’t sleep with womanizers. I have values and morals.” I said rudely.

“Would both of you stop. I’m trying to enjoy my dinner and you two are acting like five year olds.” Kendra had enough of us. This was normal when Nick and I were in the same room.

“Sorry, Kendra. I just wanted to say hello. I better get going. It was nice seeing you Sophia.” Nick smiled his cocky smirk and walked away.

“Damn it, Soph. What the hell is between to the two of you?”

I refused to say anything. Kendra wouldn’t understand. Nick and I had a history. Kendra and I had met our sophomore year in high school. By that time Nick was in Backstreet Boys and was never around. She was engaged to his best friend.

“I don’t want to talk about it.” I looked at my salad. I wasn’t hungry anymore. It was pathetic that I let something in middle school affect me as an adult.

“It can’t be that bad.”  Kendra commented.

I sipped my beer, contemplating whether I should tell Kendra.  Finally, I relented. “A bunch of us were playing spin the bottle.”

“Wait, like when you were thirteen?” Kendra interrupted.

“Yes, we were like in seventh grade.  So, Nick spun and got me. When he moved in to kiss me, he got close and then stopped. He refused to kiss me. The worse was when he told everyone that he would never kiss a girl like me.”

“What a jerk! I don’t blame you for being upset, but that was years ago. You need to move on.”

“It’s kind of hard when you become the biggest joke at school. Kendra, you’re my best friend, and you always got any guy you wanted. I didn’t have my first kiss until junior prom.” It was hard to explain to the woman who could get any guy she wanted.

“Why do you care so much about what Nick said about you years ago? You’ve had your fair share of relationships. I think you like that fact that he’s still giving you attention after all these years.” Kendra drank the rest of her wine.

“Hardly, I wish he would leave me alone.” I decided to change the subject. I had enough of Nick Carter for one night. “So, do you need me to make anything for the party?”

“Kyle wants you to make your famous buffalo chicken dip.”

“I’ll be over early on Friday. If you need anything else call me.” I slid out of the booth. “I’m off to the store. Thanks for dinner.”

 

I was exhausted, but I still had to get some groceries. I made my way into the store. Luckily it was nearly empty. I wanted to get in and out in a hurry. My bed was calling my name.

I turned down the aisle. I was picking out a box of cereal, when my buggy was pushed into me. I turned to look to see what asshole would knock a shopping cart into someone. I should have known what kind of person would do that.

“An apology would be nice.” I remarked getting Nick’s attention.

“For what?” He placed a box of bran flakes in his buggy.

“You know for what. Can’t you just watch what you’re doing? I’m going to have a nice bruise thanks to you.” I spat at him. God, he was annoying.

“I didn’t realize I bumped you.” The look in his eye was unreadable. It unnerved me, which I didn’t like. I needed to be in control.

“Well, you did. Now would you please move out of the way?  I need to finish my shopping and get home. It’s been a long day.”

“Oh, poor, poor Sophie. You had a hard day at work.” He looked at the food in my buggy. “Maybe if you ate healthier you wouldn’t be so tired or bitchy.”

“My food choices are none of your business.” I started down the aisle. Nick turned around and pursued me. “Why are you following me?”

He stopped his cart and moved behind me. His hard chest was against my back. He placed his hands on my hip. “Maybe if you weren’t so uptight, you would be getting lucky. Sex would help you relax.”

“Get away from me, you jerk.” I hissed at him. Nick didn’t let me go. I was getting agitated with him. Why couldn’t he leave me alone?

“Maybe you should go home and get your vibrator out. Pleasuring yourself with help you unwind. Your body is so tight.” His hands moved up and down my body. “You’re smokin’ hot, Soph. Any guy would love to find out what makes you scream. You are a screamer aren’t you?”

His voice was deep and rough. The feel of his body on mine was playing with my mind. I hated that my body was betraying me at the moment. There was no way I was going to let Nick know he was turning me on.

“You can ignore me. I got a date. See you on Friday. Enjoy that vibrator.” He gave me a kiss on the cheek and walked away with that trademark smirk on his face.

It sucked that I let him get me all hot and bothered. Damn him. I hated Nickolas Carter.

 

 

Chapter 2 by colorguard_diva

Today I was helping Kendra and Kyle get ready for their engagement party. Currently I was folding napkins. It was peaceful to have a few minutes to myself. When I saw Nick walk into the kitchen I knew I spoke to soon. Did he really need to be here? What did Nick know about decorating or parties?

He walked past me and went outside. After the other night I was relieved that he ignored me. I was still mad at Nick. Though that was nothing new; I hated him for a long time.

“Sophia, could you take this out to Nick?” Kendra handed me a bottle of water. I didn’t have a choice. I reminded myself to be nice. This was Kendra’s day. I didn’t want to ruin it for her.

I walked outside to where Nick was hanging up twinkle lights. He was all sweaty and gross. The boy looked like he hadn’t showered in a week. What did women see in him?

“Here Nick.” I pushed the bottle toward him.

“Thanks.” He opened it and took a long drink. “Nice shirt.”

I looked down at my N’Sync shirt and smiled. “You know they’re my favorite boy band. They are so hot and their songs are so orgasmic.” I said dreamily. I loved torturing Nick.

“You’re so funny, Soph.” He stared at me, his eyes penetrating mine. I couldn’t look away from his blue orbs.

“My name is Sophia. Only my friends call me Soph. You are not my friend.” I sighed as I raked my fingers down his chest. “I’m serious Nick. I’ve always liked Justin Timberlake. I bet he knows how to make a girl feel good. I would so do him.”

“I’ll let him know you’re prostituting yourself the next time I see him. I’m sure he likes frigid women.” Nick gave my body the once over, stopping at my legs. I knew I shouldn’t have worn my tiny running shorts. When he focused back on my face, I saw a glint of something in his eyes. I decided to ignore it.  “Though you do have a nice pair of legs and a rack any guy would die to touch.”

“You pervert.” I turned around and marched back into the house.

Kendra was finishing up getting things ready. She looked at me and shook her head. “What did Nick do this time?” She snickered.

“He was ogling my body. What a dirty pig!” I sat down and continued folding napkins.

“Well, you are running around in a tight shirt and booty shorts.” Kendra commented on my clothes.

“They aren’t booty shorts. I wear them when I go running.” I defended myself. “Do you think I purposely wore them for Nick?”

“I wasn’t thinking that, but now that you mentioned it.” I gave her a look. “I think you and Nick have a lot of sexual tension towards each other. Sleep with him and get it out of your system.”

I was flabbergasted. There was no way I wanted to sleep with Nick. I would become a nun before I do it with him.  “I’m not even going to dignify that with a comment.”

“Thou protest too much.” Kendra grinned at me. “I need to go pick up the cake. Can you start fixing up the tables? I should be back within the hour. The flowers will be arriving in forty five minutes. Kyle won’t be back for a while. He’s got to pick up the food.”

“No problem.” I started picking up the plates to take outside.

“Thanks, Sophie.” She gave me a hug. “Behave.”

After Kendra left I got busy setting things up for the party. Nick was finishing up the lights. My cell phone started to ring. I found it under a pile of decorations. “Hello…yes….are you sure…no, I understand….that’s okay….thank you.” I closed my phone.

I went searching for my purse. I found it and made my way to the front porch. I needed some time alone. My hands couldn’t stop shaking. I grabbed the pack of cigarettes from my purse. I lit a cigarette and started to place it in my mouth.

“What are you doing with that cancer stick?” Nick sat down beside me on the steps.

“Smoking.” I said dejectedly. I didn’t want to talk to him. I didn’t want to talk to anyone. Being miserable was more fun alone.

All of a sudden my purse started moving and making a funny buzzing noise. Nick grabbed it at the same time I did. Being that he was stronger he pulled it away from me. He unzipped it and pulled out a bright neon green vibrator. “Well look what we have here. I didn’t think you would have one so big.” Nick wiggled his eyes at me. He was enjoying my embarrassment.

“I brought it for you. I thought since it gave me so much pleasure, I’d share it with you. That way you would know what real pleasure feels like.” I grabbed it and put it back in my purse.

“You must go through a lot of batteries.” He smiled at me. It wasn’t a cocky smile. Instead it was a genuine friendly smile. “So why are you smoking? You and your sister are always yelling at AJ about it.”

“I don’t smoke that often. Only when I’m stressed or upset.” My eyes looked at the ground. There was no way I could show my weakness to Nick. He would laugh and taunt me.

“Are you upset or stressed?” Nick said kindly. This was not the Nick I knew.

I turned and looked at him. “I just got laid off.” I whispered.

“Sophia, I’m sorry. That sucks. This cancer stick isn’t going to help you.” He took it out of my mouth, threw it on the ground, and smashed it with his foot.  “You know, I’m looking for an assistant.”

“Nick, we would kill each other.” I smiled thinking about working that closely with him. That made me start to laugh.

“What is so funny?” He scooted closer to me. Before I had a chance to answer him, he placed his lips on mine. At first I was pissed off and wanted to push him away. Then I got into the kiss, and I didn’t want it to stop. His lips were soft and smooth against mine. Nick made me forget where I was. He slid his tongue in my mouth. My tongue started to play with his. I placed my hands around his neck and brought him closer to me. Our tongues continued to battle one another, neither of us caring who won. No man had ever kissed me like this.

My brain went into hyper drive, and I realized what was happening. I removed myself from his magnetic attraction. “Umm…I got to go.  Tell, Kendra that I’ll be back around five.” I grabbed my purse and ran to my car.

As soon as I pulled away from Kendra’s; I pulled out my cigarettes and lit one. What was Nick thinking? Why would he kiss me?  What was I thinking kissing him back? I didn’t know how I was going to make it through this party. If I could skip it I would, but I could never disappoint my best friend.

 

 

Chapter 3 by colorguard_diva

I ended up running late for Kendra and Kyle’s party. It might have been intentional on my part. I just didn’t want to face Nick after we shared that kiss this afternoon. Just thinking about it gave me butterflies in my stomach. There was no way Nick could make me feel this way. It was just because I hadn’t kissed a guy for a long while. God, I sounded pathetic. I was a beautiful, intelligent woman. I didn’t need a man to tell me that.

The party was in full swing when I entered the backyard. Kendra and Kyle were mingling with the guests, but Kendra spotted me and excused herself from Nick and some girl that I assumed was his date.

“Where have you been? You’re never late for anything.” Kendra stared at me.

“Oh, Celeste called me, and I couldn’t get her off the phone. You know how she goes on and on about AJ.” I smiled as I lied to my best friend. I hope that she would buy my BS.

“That’s funny since Celeste called me to congratulate me on my engagement not to long ago. What gives?” Kendra sipped her wine.

“Nothing.” I looked away and saw Nick dancing with his blonde bombshell. Why was I feeling jealous?” “Nothing is wrong.”

“Oh, it’s Nick. What happened today? He said you left pretty quickly this afternoon.”

“Ummm…..I got laid off from my job, so I was upset. Nickkindakissedme.” I mumbled the last part.

“Excuse me? Did you just say what I thought you did?” Kendra asked while shaking me.

“Stop. Yes, Nick kissed me this afternoon.” The waiter came past and I grabbed a glass of wine.

“And you enjoyed it and got weirded out, didn’t you?” Kendra laughed at me.

“It’s not funny. Sure he’s a great kisser, but there’s nothing going on. He was feeling sorry for me.” I explained more to myself than my best friend. The thing was I didn’t believe what I was saying.

“Sophie, I think you and Nick like each other a little more than you like to let on. He doesn’t just kiss anyone. From what Kyle has told me; Nick hasn’t been in a serious relationship for over a year.”

“Yes, but he’s still dating and hooking up. Look at the woman he’s with today. She’s beautiful and sexy. I’m neither of those things. Why would Nick want me?” I giggled unsurely.

“Just because he brought a date doesn’t mean anything. Kyle also told me Nick hasn’t gotten any in the past six months.” She gave me a hug. “I’m going to go socialize. Go talk to him.”

I watched Kendra walk away. I drank the rest of my wine in one swallow. It was liquid courage for me, but I still wasn’t going to talk to Nick. I was embarrassed for running away this afternoon. I wasn’t a little girl anymore. It was easier to avoid him.

Unfortunately, I didn’t feel like talking to anyone. I just wanted to be alone. I made my into the pool house. I looked around trying to make sense of what Kendra told me. I guess it didn’t matter what she told me about Nick. I didn’t have feelings for Nick. Sure, I didn’t hate him as much as everyone thought I did.

The closing of the door caught me off guard. I turned around and saw Nick standing there. “What are you doing?”

“I wanted to talk to you.” Nick moved closer to me.

I was nervous and smoothed down my dress. Usually I was ready to make a smart comment, but tonight nothing would come out.

“Soph, you look beautiful tonight.” He placed a loose strand of hair behind my ear.

“Nick, don’t.” I backed away from him.

“Why are you afraid of me?” He sat down on the arm of the couch.

“I’m not afraid of you. I just don’t like you.” I responded sharply. There was no reason to be mean, but I couldn’t let my guard down when it came to Nick.

He looked taken aback. “You could have fooled me with the way you kissed me back this afternoon.”

“Nick I was vulnerable and you played with my emotions.” I started pacing. Which is what I did every time I was nervous. Why was I letting him make me feel this way? I needed to stay in control.

“Don’t make me laugh.” He scoffed. “You know you liked it. That’s why you ran away.”

“I hate you. You always think you know everything.” I huffed and puffed.

“Just stop it, Sophia. We aren’t in middle school anyone. I don’t understand why you’ve hated me all these years.” He moved in front of me to stop my pacing.

“You wouldn’t get it.” I tried to move away, but Nick held my arms so I couldn’t leave. “Let go of me.”

“Not until you tell me the truth.”

“Fine you want to know the truth.” I was irritated, but I was going to give it to him. “I’m still mad at you because you didn’t want to kiss me when we were playing spin the bottle in middle school, and then you told everyone you wouldn’t kiss a girl like me.”

I watched Nick’s expressions. I thought for sure he was going to laugh in my face. I waited and not a sound came out of his mouth. He eyed me carefully, before he began to speak. He lessened the space between us. In fact he was so close I could feel his breath on my skin. It gave me chills.

“Sophia. Oh, Soph. You got it all wrong.” His hands moved my waist.

“But I heard what you said.”

“I was thirteen. I had the biggest crush on you. Back then I was stupid and immature. I was afraid to kiss you.” Nick’s head moved down to mine. His lips grazed mine in a quick peck. I sucked on his bottom lip not wanting the smoothness of his lips to disappear from my own.

We got lost in each other. The things I was feeling I never had before. It was like my body was awakening. I couldn’t believe Nick Carter was making me feel this way. I stepped back from him.

“We can’t do this.” I started to panic.

“Why not? We have good, no we have great chemistry.” He gave me that trademark smile.

“I’m not going to be like every woman and sleep with you because we have so-called chemistry.” I would not be one of his little groupies.

“You aren’t like them.” Nick took my hands and placed in his. “I think I still like you. I think you like me, too.”

“What makes you say that?” I raised an eyebrow at him.

“Because I see it in your eyes. I felt in the way you kiss me.”  He placed a kiss on my nose. “I think we need to see where this chemistry leads us.”

“What about your date?” I questioned.

“Veronica isn’t my date. She’s an ex-girlfriend of one of my buddies. We walked in together, but that’s it.” Nick moved his hands from mine and ran one finger down my arm causing me to shiver.

“Nick I’m not going to sleep with you. I’m going to head back to the party.” I spun around and walked out of the pool house.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 4 by colorguard_diva

We made it to Nick’s house in like five minutes. I guess it was a good thing he lived close to our friends.  It took some time to find his bedroom. Well of course that was after we had sex in the living room and on the stairs. I couldn’t get enough of him. There was something about the man that made my toes curls while doing to deed.

Sleeping with Nick was different than sleeping with other guys. I didn’t know what it was, but I liked it. Maybe it was that he was attentive and relaxed about it. I guess when you slept with as many women as he did, it became second nature.

“You look beautiful in my bed.”  Nick smiled at me from the doorway of the bathroom.

I looked his body over, slowly from head to toe and back again several times. The man was beautiful. “You’re not too shabby yourself.” I giggled.

“Why thank you, Sophie.” He crawled into bed next to me. “I’m glad you decided to change your mine. Now I know we have good chemistry.”

“The best part is I wasn’t even drunk when I made the choice.” I batted my eyes as I teased him. It was weird how comfortable I was with this whole scenario. I won’t lie; it kind of freaked me out.

“I love your smart ass comments. Plus it’s nice knowing that you would sleep with me even without a ton of alcohol in your system.” He rolled over so he was on top of me.

Before I could say anything, Nick’s mouth was on mine. His hands were roaming my body. My hands were on his butt. I could feel myself getting aroused. It didn’t take long with Nick. He could stare into my eyes and I was wet for him.

“So, when was the last time you had it three times?” His hands push my sweaty curls off my face.

“Umm, never.” I whispered. Sure I’ve been with a few guys, but none of them had ever satisfied me until tonight.

“What kind of men did you date?” He asked softly.

“Nice ones that sucked in bed.” I laughed. “Until tonight I never realized what an….” I couldn’t finish the sentence.

“You’ve never had an orgasm?” Nick looked shocked.

“Yes, I’ve had orgasms.” My face turned red. “But never from a guy until tonight.”

“So I’m the guy who made you feel good.” He was like a proud peacock.

“Don’t be so cocky.” I joked. Nick laughed hysterically for a few minutes. “Get your mind out of the gutter Carter. I’m ready for round three.”

Nick’s mouth moved down to my breasts. He licked and sucked for a while before bringing his lips to mine. Before I knew what hit me, Nick entered me. Our bodies started moving together in a tantric dance. Our bodies fit together perfectly. If I had known how good things were going to be with Nick, I would have slept with him years ago.

“Mmmm….Nick.” I started to moan. My body was on fire. Nick placed little kisses all over my neck.  He knew where all my sensitive spots were. I had long term boyfriends that didn’t know where they were. How could he have found them so quickly?

We reached our peaks at the same time. Nick rolled off my body and caught his breath. After a few moments of silence, Nick started laughing.

“What is so funny?”  I moved onto my side, so I could look at him.

“Just think we could have been having the best sex of our lives years ago.”

“What do you mean?” I wasn’t sure what he was getting at. I think I lost of few brain cells tonight, but I’d have to say it was worth it.

“All those years we spent fighting we could have been having hot sex. I know I’ve been with a lot of women in my past. Tonight with you was different. It wasn’t just sex. I’m in love with you Sophie.”

“What?” I sat up. I realized I was naked and pulled the covers over my chest.

“I’m in love with you. I think I have been for a long time. Maybe that’s why none of my relationships have worked out.” He said affectionately.

No. There was no way Nick Carter was in love with me. Sure, we were starting to be nice to each other, but that’s because we were trying to act like adults for a change. Sure it was the best sex of my life, but that didn’t equate love.

“Nick, listen to yourself. There’s no way possible you could be in love with me. My gosh this afternoon you hated me.” I didn’t know what to say or do. Nick was making me regret my decision.

I got out of bed and went to the bathroom. My dress was downstairs so I wrapped a towel around my body.  I needed to get away from Nick.

“What the hell are you doing?” Nick entered the bathroom wearing a pair of boxers.

“I’m going home.” I stated matter of factly.

“Is this because I said I was in love with you?” He questioned.

I stepped out of the bathroom. Before I left his bedroom, I turned to look at him. “I think it’s a bit crazy to assume that because we slept together you’re in love with me. It was just sex.” With that I walked away from Nick. He didn’t follow me.

I found my dress thrown on the chair in the living room. I got dressed and left Nick’s house. I sat in my car for almost ten minutes. For some reason I couldn’t leave.

What possessed me to sleep with him? If I knew it was about more than sex I would have never done it. Nick wasn’t a bad guy, but he wasn’t my type. Why was I so stupid?

I was embarrassed by my actions. I normally didn’t sleep with someone unless I had feelings for him. I wanted it tonight with him. I didn’t know why, but I did. There was no way I could tell anyone about this. Celeste and Kendra would have a field day about me sleeping with him. They would start planning the wedding.

My famous last words came and bit me in the butt. I should have listened to myself and I wouldn’t be in trouble over Nick.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 5 by colorguard_diva

I hadn’t seen Nick since that night. Sure, I was avoiding him, but luckily he ended up on tour. I was thoroughly thankful for that. I didn’t want to see him. After he professed his love, I freaked out.

Nick tried everything in his power to talk to me, but I wouldn’t let him. He spilled the beans about us sleeping together. When Kendra and Celeste found out they told me I should go for it. For some reason they thought I was in love with him. The past few months I avoided them as much possible. I got tired of hearing them talk about Nick. They should worry about their own lives.

I spent all my time working or relaxing at home. Staying at home was the easiest way to avoid people.

Today was Valentine’s Day. I decided to take the day off from work. There was no way I wanted to be in the office watching everyone get flowers but me. Instead, I sat on my couch thinking about Nick. Why couldn’t I get him out of my mind? He was always there. All I thought about was that night.

The doorbell pulled me out of my thoughts. I slowly made my way to the door. I wasn’t expecting anyone, so I took my time. I was surprised when I saw who was at the door.

“Nick, what are you doing here?” I barely got the words out of my mouth. All of a sudden I was nervous seeing him.

Nick didn’t say anything. He stared at my protruding belly. “You’re pregnant?” He asked in shock.

“Brilliant observation, Nick. You aren’t as stupid as they say you are.”

“Can I come in? This is for you.” He handed me a single red rose.

“I don’t think this is a good time.” I wanted to continue avoiding him.

“Damn it, Sophia. You’ve ignored me for the past five months. This has got to end.” He was angry, and I couldn’t blame him.

“Fine. Come in.” I walked into the living room and sat down on the couch. He sat down next to me.

“Is it mine?” He blurted out. 

“It’s not an it. It’s a little boy.” I started rubbing my belly.

“Who’s the father?” He demanded I tell him.

“None of your business.” I snapped.

“Soph, I didn’t know you were the type of woman to sleep around.” His voice was full of anger and confusion.

“Nick, you don’t know me. If I want to sleep with a new man every night I can. Of all people you shouldn’t be judging me. It’s okay for you to have sex with every woman you meet. I’m sure you had your fair share of groupies on tour.”

“I haven’t slept with anyone since you.  I don’t want to. You’re the only woman I want in my bed.” Nick scooted closer to me.

“Why Nick? Why am I that special?” I didn’t know what he saw in me. All we did was fight and trade insults.

“Sophie, you are caring, sweet, smart, beautiful and the list could go on forever. I love the way we trade rude comments. I can’t see myself with another woman. I can deny it, but I’ve been in love with you for years. That’s why my relationships never worked. I always thought about you.”

“Please don’t blame me for ruining all your relationships. That’s not fair.”

“I’m not blaming you. I’m admitting something I should have a long time ago. Do you know how hard this tour was for me? Everyone had someone but me. Even Celeste came on tour with AJ for a few weeks.” He looked so sad.

“I’m sure you could have had any woman at your beck and call.” I stood up. Being that close to him was dangerous. I wanted him to hold me and kiss me. What was I thinking? I couldn’t let that happen.  I didn’t like him in that way.

“Sophie, don’t you get it. I only want one woman. I’m ready to settle down and be happy.” He ran his fingers through his hair in frustration.

I didn’t know what to say. I left the room. Hopefully Nick would just leave. I couldn’t face him. I didn’t want to hurt his feelings because I didn’t love him. I was okay being a single mom for the rest of my life. It was the one thing I was thankful Nick had given me. In some weird way it was nice that I would always have a part of Nick in my life.

That thought woke me up. I was in love with Nick. What was I going to do? This couldn’t be happening. The one guy I hated most of my life, I fell in love with.

“Why did you walk away?” He sat next me on the bed.

“Nick, I’m so confused. I don’t know up from down anymore. My hormones are out of whack.”

“Soph.” He pulled my body to his and hugged me. “I want to be with you.”

“I’m afraid.” It was the first time I was honest with myself and Nick.

“What are you afraid of? I’m not going to hurt you.”

“Nick, the truth is that day when you didn’t want to kiss me, I was hurt. I liked you a lot, and it broke my heart that you did that. It was easier to hate you.”

Nick lifted my chin and started kissing me. His lips felt wonderful on mine. Even though it had been a while since we kissed; it was like time never passed. My body was on fire from a simple kiss. I pulled back slightly and looked up at Nick.

“Nick, I think I like you, too. I can’t rush into a relationship.” I was being honest. I wasn’t ready to be his girlfriend yet. I needed time to let us bloom.

“I understand. We don’t have to be a couple this very instant. I’m not going to lie to you. Someday I’m going to make you my wife.” He smiled at me.

“Nick, how do you know I’m the one?”

“I fell in love with you in second grade and haven’t stopped.” That shocked me, but melted my heart at the same time.

“Nick, I would like us to start off with just dating. Let’s take it slow and really do this right.” I smiled at him. I wanted to try this with Nick.

“I’m fine with that. As long as you’re in my life I’ll be happy. What about the baby?”

“Nick, you’re going to be a dad in June.” I said quietly. I hoped that wouldn’t change things with us.

“Really?” He said seriously. Then he got the biggest smile on his face. “A little Nick junior to rule the world; I like that.”

“I take it your happy.” I placed a kiss on his cheek.

“Oh yes! The woman I’m madly in love with is carrying my baby. I hope he has your brown eyes and brains, along with my good looks and charm.”

“I love you Nick.” I blurted out. As much as I thought it would freak me out, it didn’t. There was something comforting about loving Nick.

“I love you, Sophie. Would you be mine?” I laughed. Nick was so cheesy.

“Yes. Happy Valentine’s Day!”

Our lips met in a passionate kiss. I was never so happy in my life. Our little boy was happily kicking away. I took this as a seal of approval. He loved his daddy as much as I did.

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10818