Unwinding Truth by Carter-Orange, Purpura Lipstick
Summary:

Photobucket Nobody could’ve been prepared for the horrific events in the last few days of 2012. A chain of events led to nuclear war, resulting in mass destruction of life on earth with only pockets of survivors left across the world. One such pocket of survivors adapted their underground sanctuary into a comfortable habitat which over the next hundred years or so expanded into a vast city. The outside world was long forgotten, and new generations were unaware that there was anything outside of the confined world in which they lived in. That is until two friends stumbled upon something which got them curious…


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Brian, Group, Howie, Kevin, Nick
Genres: Action, Adventure, Alternate Universe, Drama, Science Fiction
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 24 Completed: No Word count: 35681 Read: 39750 Published: 02/09/12 Updated: 07/31/14
Story Notes:

This is the first collab between Lore and Steph, we hope you enjoy as much as we do!

1. Chapter 1 by Carter-Orange

2. Chapter 2 by Purpura Lipstick

3. Chapter 3 by Carter-Orange

4. Chapter 4 by Purpura Lipstick

5. Chapter 5 by Carter-Orange

6. Chapter 6 by Purpura Lipstick

7. Chapter 7 by Carter-Orange

8. Chapter 8 by Purpura Lipstick

9. Chapter 9 by Carter-Orange

10. Chapter 10 by Carter-Orange

11. Chapter 11 by Purpura Lipstick

12. Chapter 12 by Carter-Orange

13. Chapter 13 by Carter-Orange

14. Chapter 14 by Purpura Lipstick

15. Chapter 15 by Purpura Lipstick

16. Chapter 16 by Carter-Orange

17. Chapter 17 by Carter-Orange

18. Chapter 18 by Purpura Lipstick

19. Chapter 19 by Carter-Orange

20. Chapter 20 by Purpura Lipstick

21. Chapter 21 by Carter-Orange

22. Chapter 22 by Purpura Lipstick

23. Chapter 23 by Purpura Lipstick

24. Chapter 24 by Carter-Orange

Chapter 1 by Carter-Orange

Chapter 1

The blond man followed the red shirt walking in front of him. He groaned when another man asked him if he wanted to try his luck and place a bet. He never bet at these monthly mandatory gatherings, it was perverse enough without the addition of betting into the mix. He jumped when he turned and saw a guard coming towards him, a sigh of relief swept over him as the guard turned at the last minute to place a bet with the bookie.

The red shirt in front of him stopped abruptly and he collided with him, unable to stop in time.

He brushed off his purple shirt before glancing up at the front of the arena. Of course, curtains fell down from the ceiling to the floor with several guards standing in front to keep prying eyes from getting a glimpse of what they would soon all see.

“Walk much?” the man he’d been following turned and growled at him. He’d been grumpy since he’d been required to change his shirt from purple to red. That was a couple of years ago; he’d been hard to room with ever since. The other man already had thinning hair which made him look old, but his brown eyes still looked so young.

“Sorry Jay, lighten up will you?”

“Lighten up? Lighten up?” he asked the younger man. “Seriously?” he scoffed. “When you are wearing red we’ll see how ‘light’ you are Nick.” With that he turned his attention back to the front of the arena.

“Aje,” Nick pleaded but it sounded more like a whine. When his friend did not reply he pushed forward so that he could be standing next to him. It was almost time to start, the back of the arena was filling up and that was a sure sign that the stragglers were being rounded up and brought in. The only excuse to miss this was if you were on your death bed, which was somewhat ironic.

“People of Endwise,” a man wearing red standing on a platform high above everyone spoke. His voice was amplified throughout the entire arena, throughout all of Endwise for even those with a valid excuse to be missing. “Greetings.” He started speaking of the history of Endwise, how they formed and the history of the event they were there to witness that day.

“Same speech as last month.” Nick mumbled to his friend. When he didn’t respond he poked him slightly. “AJ?”

His friend turned towards him with slight disgust in his eyes, “How long has the Luminary been wearing red now anyway.” He muttered.

Nick shook his head and catching a glimpse of a guard turned his attention back to the platform where the Luminary stood continuing his speech.

“Sadness fills me today as several people thought there was something better, that there was something more outside than what we have been informing you of monthly since the creation of Endwise.” The screens filled with the familiar pictures of a vast wasteland that everyone knew was above them and all that was left of the old world, outside the dome of the arena they now stood in. “Believe me fellow citizens, if it was possible for us to live on the surface of our once great planet, we would be there now.”

Stirrings in the crowd cheered the Luminary on at this statement. The man paused and let the people’s cheers subside. Eventually he started to wave his hand to get the audience to quiet down. When they quieted the man continued. “It was unfortunate that these people had to find out the hard way that life on the surface is not feasible. They will be missed by their loved ones.” He bowed his head and everyone copied this motion and they stood in silence for a brief minute.

“Now to commence with today’s ceremonies.” He spoke and raised his arms. This was the cue for the massive curtain to be taken down to reveal what people had been placing bets on. “This month will be gas.”

Massive cheers erupted and only a handful of people returned to the bookies to collect their winnings. The rarest form was being used; it was quite an occasion as one would hardly be guaranteed to see this method in their lifetime. It was the most expensive form. Nick was starting to feel sick as he always did on this day of the month, whilst AJ stood stoic. This month was affecting him more than any of the past months, he knew his time was getting close, he could feel it.

The great glass chamber at the front of the arena was slowly starting to fill. Figures wearing all black from head to toe, with only their faces peeking out were being lead in, some being forcibly shoved inside the glass cage. When the people finished filing in they stood there waiting.

“There seem to be more this month,” Nick whispered to his friend who only grunted in response. AJ noticed the increase in numbers too but he was afraid that if he formed any words he would throw up where he was standing. They were standing towards the middle of the area but Nick thought he saw several dark spots on the pants of several people inside the chamber, he couldn’t blame them, he was sure he’d pee his pants if he were up there too.

“Commence,” The Luminary’s voice rang out once again and all eyes focused on the chamber. At first it was hard to see if anything was happening. What looked like steam entered from the holes towards the top of the chamber and slowly snaked its way to be at the same level as the people.

Then came the screams, the panic of the people inside once they realized that it was really happening. AJ never understood how any of them ever had any hope that it wouldn’t happen. Nobody who went on that stage for execution ever left the stage alive. Bodies inside the chamber fell until the last person fell in death.

The screens hanging around the auditorium showed the faces of each of the dead inside the chamber; it was a chance for the audience to see their loved ones for one last time. The more morbid in the crowd enjoyed to see the faces of the dead, to see how their faces froze in their final moments.

“Disgusting,” Nick muttered and AJ nodded in agreement.

Their voices were dropped in whispers, if they were caught talking against the public executions it could lead to them standing up there next month. “I can’t help but think the rumors are true, that those who tried to escape didn’t die outside the walls but instead were in that chamber today.” AJ voiced quietly.

Nick nodded in agreement.

“Do you think there really is life outside?” Nick dared to ask his friend. AJ only shrugged in response to this friend. What was he supposed to tell him? Should he say he did think there was life outside, get their hopes up that there could be more than this life they were living, or should he just squash his dreams now and be over with it.

AJ opened his mouth to speak when a woman wearing a blue shirt turned around and smiled at the two men. AJ almost gasped when he saw her deep green eyes making contact with his own.

Nick didn’t have time to take in the girl’s beauty; he was too worried this girl would report him to one of the guards nearby.

“There is.” She whispered looking at Nick and smiling. She winked and held out her hand, wrist turned upwards. There nestled in the palm of her hand was something Nick had only ever seen in books, a rose petal. As quickly as she showed it to them she turned her hand back down, fist around the petal.

“Those who attempted it last did not die outside.” She whispered. “I plan to leave; you are welcome to join me.” Her eyes were on Nick but she turned to look at AJ with a smile and he instantly nodded his head to her suggestion.

Nick shrugged his shoulders. “What if we are found out?”

“And what if it’s all just bullshit?” AJ added.

“Think about it, kiss your loved ones goodbye or bring them with you. If you plan to go with me meet me at the northeast wall of the arena in two nights time, we make our break then.” And with that she turned from the two men and was gone.

Chapter 2 by Purpura Lipstick

“What was that all about?” AJ asked, more to himself than anyone else.  Had they really just heard what he thought they’d heard?  Was there really a way out, and if so, why wasn’t that chick already gone?  Why wasn’t everyone gone?  He wasn’t sure he trusted her.  She could be an undercover spy for the Luminary and his cronies, digging to see if she could find rebels who opposed her leader’s authority.  But then where did she find that red rose petal?  AJ had never seen such things apart from in books.  

“Aje, I think we should do it” Nick said quietly, looking around to make sure no one was listening “it could be the adventure I’ve been waiting all my life for”

“Or it could be a premature death warrant for the both of us!” AJ replied shaking his head at his friend’s eagerness to trust a pretty face in a crowd.

“Why would she lie?  And there was the rose petal…” 

“Why wouldn’t she lie?  Why tell us?  We don’t know her!” AJ protested.

“Always the pessimist” Nick teased his friend.

“I call it realism” 

“But how awesome would it be to find out?”

“I don’t know Nick.  We’ve all seen the images.  There’s nothing out there, just a barren

wasteland” AJ advised his enthusiastic friend.

“What if that’s a lie?  Have you thought of that?” Nick questioned.

“Let’s talk about this later, we could get arrested for talking like this in the open” AJ warned his friend.

The crowd dispersed and the two men began walking back to their shared living quarters, trying their best to ignore the many happy citizens who were gossiping about the evening’s events.  Didn’t they realize that one day it would be them in the arena?  Or maybe they were so brainwashed by the Luminary’s words that they just accepted that it was fate.

Once inside the sparsely furnished dwelling place and away from unwanted ears, the two friends could talk freely about the day’s events.  Nick kicked off his shoes and laid on his ancient bed, whilst AJ sat down on the single rickety chair in the corner of the room. Neither one of them had brought any personal effects with them when they requested a shared living space. Too many memories.

As much as he wanted to believe that there really was a whole new world to explore beyond the confines of the city, after a couple of hours discussing it with AJ, Nick wasn’t so sure anymore.  AJ was right, if there was anything out there then why would the Luminary and his people hide it?  Why weren’t they all living out there?  No…it was as they’d always been told, there was nothing outside but the crumbling remains of a world long forgotten.  A world which came to an end long ago in the year 2012.

“OK AJ, point taken and you win” Nick sighed “but it was a nice dream while it lasted”

“You know I’m right.  Now let’s get some sleep, it’s getting late and you know how cranky you can be if you don’t get enough sleep”

“Huh, coming from the guy who needs two cups of coffee in the morning before he can function!” Nick retorted.

“Yeah well, I’m older than you and therefore need it” AJ replied.  The lights went out and the friends settled down to sleep in their adjacent beds, both wishing they could be a little more comfortable.  That was one of the downsides to being single; you got the more basic of living areas whereas married couples were upgraded to something a little better.  As the pair of them drifted off to sleep, AJ couldn’t help thinking of the words he’d said just minutes before.  I’m older than you.  He shuddered and checked his palm, sighing with relief when he saw it was still red.

The following morning life carried on as it usually did, they got up at the usual time, showered in the communal bathroom, ate the same breakfast they always ate in the eating area, worked the same jobs they’d always done, stopped for lunch at the allotted time and talked no more of escape.  As far as AJ was concerned, there was nothing more to say on the matter.  That rose petal didn’t mean anything, it could have been artificial for all he knew, how would he know the difference, he’d never seen a real flower.  There was no outside.  Nick was a dreamer and always would be.

After a long day of monotony, the two friends met for a well-deserved drink at The Odyssey, the place to unwind after a long day.  It was also the place to mingle with other singles and the friends had enough credits for a drink or two each.  If they played their cards right, they could get lucky with the ladies.  It had been way too long, and AJ for one wanted to make the most of it while he still could.  Any day now and life as he knew it could be over.  It didn’t bear thinking about.

He was glad he hadn’t been one of the majority who’d settled down with a wife and child.  Having to leave a family behind was beyond his comprehension.  It was hard enough losing his own mother when he was just a child, he didn’t want to inflict the same heartache which had been bestowed upon himself on some other poor child.

Nick was in complete agreement with him; he occasionally still had nightmares about his parents…their faces in the arena as they were gunned down so callously.  He’d been a young boy at the time but could still remember that day so clearly and had vowed never to marry.  If he never married then he’d never father a child and subject it to such a barbaric event.

“Well hello there handsome” a red snaked her arm around Nick’s waist and gave him the ‘fuck me’ look.  All thoughts of escape, the Luminary and the previous night’s ceremony flew out the window.

AJ smirked knowingly at his friend before hooking up with a red of his own.  It was well known that single reds were more eager to please as they had nothing to lose.

It was as the men walked out of The Odyssey with the two women that their paths crossed the blue again.  She nodded her head in acknowledgment and then was gone.

Chapter 3 by Carter-Orange

Chapter 3

AJ awoke, the red from last night sprawled across the bed next to him, her arm draped over his chest. Carefully, he moved her arm off of him so he could get out of the bed. When she moved he paused at the edge of the bed, afraid she might wake. He watched as she rolled over just as asleep as she was before.

Quietly he made his way to the small offshoot of their main living space. A shower head and a toilet filled the tiny room. He closed the door and proceeded to relieve himself thinking about all the fun he’d had the night before. The girl he was with was certainly willing to please and have a good time. As he reached to flush the toilet he caught a glimpse of his hand, gone was the solid red that usually adorned his palm; the red was blinking at him in a consistent slow flicker.

“Shit!” He muttered to himself. “Fuck,” He repeated and moved to where Nick lay sleeping with the red he spent the night with.

“Nick,” He whispered and shook his friend trying to wake him without jostling the girl next to him.

Nick groaned and tried to roll away from AJ but with the girl next to him he couldn’t move far.

“Nick,” AJ whispered again a bit louder. This time the blond man opened his eyes to look at his friend. AJ simply held his hand up to show Nick the consistent blinking.

“Shit,” His friend sat up quickly looking around as if expecting the guards to come for AJ that instant. “What are we gonna do?”

The girl in Nick’s bed was starting to stir which scared both of them even more. If one of them woke up and saw AJ’s hand than it was unlikely they would keep it to themselves. There were rewards for turning in a blinking red trying to evade his fate.

“Get them out!” He demanded as he made his way back to the bathroom, closing the door and sitting inside.

Nick went about waking up the girls and gathering their missing clothing. “Time to go girls.”

“But it’s the middle of the night,” one of them spoke while looking at the clock on the wall, one of the only things hanging on the wall. Since most of the domiciles were located below ground level there were no windows to see the sky outside, everyone depended on the clocks that were set up everywhere within the city to know what time of day it was.

“Don’t care,” Nick stated as he opened the door to the hallway.

He listened as the girls muttered insults in his general direction along with the promises that they would be telling all the other reds at The Odyssey about him and his friend, neither one of them would ever get laid again.

Nick rolled his eyes; he knew how true their last statement was for AJ who was hiding out in the bathroom unless they did something. Nick stuck his head into the hallway and watched the girls continue to wherever it was they would go. His eyes also scanned to see if any guards were coming towards their room.

“They are gone,” he called out to AJ when he finally shut the door behind him.

AJ emerged from the bathroom, his eyes focused on the palm of my hand. He couldn’t believe his time was up. A beeping noise started to come from the speaker on the wall in their room and at almost the same instant from AJ’s personal communicator.

“Fuck, it’s really happening.” Nick muttered. They always knew it would, everyone knew in Endwise when you were a red you didn’t have much time left. If he remembered correctly from his school days, the reds were around the age of thirty in Old Earth years.

AJ snapped out of his trance and looked at Nick. “I don’t want to die.” Tears were actually forming in his eyes. “Shit, I’m a big pussy like you after all.” He tried to joke to help stop his own tears. What was he supposed to do now? A voice rang out over both speakers telling him exactly what to do.

“Citizen,” AJ and Nick recognized the voice of the Luminary’s second in command, Howard. “The guards have been alerted to your recent change. Please say your good-byes to your loved ones.”

The two were quiet as they sat in their room. They were both straining their ears to listen for the boots of the guards coming down their hallway. AJ could hardly sit still, his leg continued to bounce furiously. Nick looked at his friend and sighed.

“Let’s do it,” AJ suddenly spoke.

“Do what?”

“Let’s meet that blue tonight and get out of here.” AJ started to pace the room, revived by his new line of thinking. “I want to take my chance. I’m set to die anyway.”

“I’m not,” Nick protested but the look in AJ’s eyes stopped him from going into that statement any further. “What do you suggest we do?”

“You don’t do anything,” AJ insisted. “When they get here just tell them you don’t know where I am. I will meet you tonight at the northwest part of the arena,” He opened the door and started to look around.

“Jay,” Nick called out as his friend went to step outside. “It’s the northeast.” He hoped AJ heard him; he was already out the door and moving down the hallway. Nick decided to climb back into his bed and wait for the guards to show up. He was going to have to put on a performance of a lifetime; he’d never been good at lying.

He was sure he had drifted off to sleep at some point because the next thing he heard was loud banging at the door. “Citizen.” A deep voice on the other side of the door called out.
Nick yawned and stretched as he approached the door and opened it. The guards pushed their way into the room and surrounded him. He held up his hands, palms flat out so that they could see he was still very much purple. Still, they scanned him to find out his identity and probably how much time he had left.

“You room with a red?” the head guard asked him looking at the empty bed nearby. It was apparent that this was not married couples housing.

Nick nodded.

“Where is he?” Males and females were only allowed to live together if they entered a marriage agreement.

Nick shrugged his shoulders. “We were at The Odyssey. He met a woman. Probably went home with her” he lied.

The guards searched the sparse room; they were done in mere seconds as there were not many hiding places. Under the bed, the bathroom and the one wardrobe they shared was all that could hide someone. One guard brought over AJ’s communicator and handed it to the head guard.

“Why didn’t he take his communicator, by law of the Luminary it is required that all citizen’s carry their communicators with them at all times.”

Nick looked around nervously and shrugged. “He’s a red; probably thought there wasn’t much else you could do to him for not taking it.” Nick knew he was boarding on impudence but it was somewhat truth. What more could they do to a red but kill them, since they were allotted for death soon anyway why should they care?

He could tell the guard in front of him wanted to smack him for speaking that way but another guard moved closer to him and started speaking in whispers in his ear.

The head guard smirked at Nick. “It seems your friend is on the move. Someone reported seeing a blinking red wandering through the streets earlier tonight.” The guards started to file out of the room until only Nick and the head guard remained. “If he returns here, you will be rewarded for turning him in.”

“With what?” What could it hurt if he played along? Besides he was itching to know what another person’s life would be worth.

“The Luminary will grant you another year as a purple.” The man smirked and followed his comrades outside slamming Nick’s door shut in the process.

Nick sat on his bed and stared at the door. “Damn.” He lay on his bed hoping that his friend would make it hiding until that night when they planned to leave this place for good, or sentence themselves to death in the toxic wasteland they were told awaited them outside.

End Notes:

Thanks for reading!

Chapter 4 by Purpura Lipstick

As AJ ran from the place which had been his home for years, he didn’t look back.  Instead he looked in every other direction, hoping to go undetected in the early hours of the morning.

“Shit” he muttered as he saw someone out of the corner of his eye.  He didn’t stop though and hoped whoever it had been hadn’t seen him or his hand, with the timer blinking like a beacon. 

He carried on going, glad it had begun its incessant flashing at such an unsociable time.  If it had been just a few hours later, he was sure he would’ve been caught and man-handled to the Luminary’s people within minutes of leaving his quarters.  People were greedy and would turn a red in for as little as a few extra credits, he couldn’t really blame them though, it was instilled in the citizens of Endwise to report everything out of place.

After ten minutes of fast paced running, he slowed down to more of a jog.  He was out of his zone and needed to get his bearings.  He was way past the purple and red living areas, he knew that for sure, but it took him a few moments to figure out where exactly he was.  Running in a blind panic had disorientated him.  He allowed himself a moment to stop and look around, soon realizing he was heading for the agriculture zone; the only place where natural light flooded in through tiny windows and was reflected around with mirrors, which enabled them to grow crops.

“This is no good” he said to himself.  People would be working in the fields there in just a few short hours.  He’d never be able to hide there in the daylight.  He’d stick out like a sore thumb!  He would have to make a detour.  But where?  Where did a person go when he didn’t want to be found?  He’d never in his life had to avoid anything or anyone…this was alien to him.  His life up until now had been relatively simple.  He hoped the blue girl wasn’t bullshitting when she said she knew a way out.  Punishment for evading the guards was likely to mean a more gruesome execution.  If he had to go through with an execution, he would prefer quick and easy…preferably painless too.

He considered hiding in the store room where harvested crops were kept; it was nice and dark in there, but he soon changed his mind.  People were likely to be in and out of there all day for one thing or another.  He’d have to do better than that.

 “Think Alex, think!” he mumbled and looked in all directions.  If he didn’t hurry up and move, someone was bound to find him. 

 And then a light bulb went off in his head.

Running back towards the living quarters, AJ took a right when he came to a narrow alley way.  If memory served him correctly, this would take him to the laundry room, the place where all the clothes, bedding, towels and everything else washable went.  He smiled smugly to himself, pleased that his brain had thought up such a thing at this time of the morning and without the boost of a coffee.

He had to act quickly though.  The laundry room would be buzzing with the citizens who worked there very soon.

For once luck was on his side.  The door to the laundry room was unlocked; he guessed that stealing dirty clothes wasn’t something the average citizen would do.  But AJ wasn’t the average citizen anymore…he was a man on borrowed time and would do anything to get himself out of the sad situation he’d found himself in.

Rummaging through the piles of clothes, he soon spotted what he was looking for; a purple shirt.  He quickly tore off his red one and tossed it to the ground; he had no need for it anymore, whatever the outcome.  He slid the purple one on but cursed when the buttons wouldn’t do up and the shirt was ridiculously short “stupid short-assed purple fucker” he muttered and cast the offending garment back to the pile of clothes from where it came.  He dug in again; surely there would be something to fit.  It’s not like he was anything other than average sized.

After what seemed like hours, but in reality was only a couple of minutes, AJ finally found a purple shirt which was a perfect fit.  He slipped out of the laundry room feeling a little more confident now that he was in a shirt which would cause no suspicion.  He just had to remember to keep his fist balled up tight so no one would see the never ending blinking of his damned timer.

As he rounded the corner leading out of the alley way, he ran straight into a couple of blues, obviously on their way to begin another day over a tub of soapy garments.  AJ held his breath in panic.  Would they see through his attempt at disguise?  Could he really pass for a purple still?  He felt beads of sweat begin to gather on his forehead but resisted the urge to wipe them away; it would only draw more attention to himself.  Thankfully the pair of them didn’t suspect a thing; one of them even apologized for not looking where she was going.  AJ just nodded his head in acknowledgment and carried on walking.

“Phew” he muttered when he’d got out of their hearing range.  He wiped his brow and took a deep and calming breath.  Things could’ve gone differently, but AJ now knew that the purple shirt had been a good idea.  He just had to get through the rest of the day.

He walked back towards the living area, forever watchful of his surroundings and listening out for footsteps.  If he could just get through the next couple of hours, he was confident he could last until evening.  He looked up at one of the many clocks which graced the city and saw that it was a little after five; it wouldn’t be long until the place was buzzing with activity.  People would be getting up to go for breakfast in their staggered time slots and when they did, AJ would be able to hide in one of the empty rooms for an hour or two.

He hid in the darkness down one of the corridors; the darkest one he could find.  He’d passed a few people but none of them had seemed to notice him.  At that time of the morning, people weren’t at their most talkative.  Crouching down, he went undetected as he watched the rooms emptying slowly.  He waited until the coast was clear and then edged his way into the nearest vacant room.  It was a female’s room, he could tell.  Whereas his and Nick’s room was devoid of personal possessions, this room seemed to be crammed full of them.  She either had a lot of extra credits or plenty of admirers.  He was sure not everyone’s living quarters were as nice as this one.

Taking advantage of the nice surroundings, AJ sat down on the bed, swung his legs up and took a lie down.  It was very rare that anyone returned to their home during the working day, so AJ relaxed and closed his eyes for a while.  He woke a couple of hours later feeling more relaxed and rested.  He would need the energy for the adventure ahead.

“I wonder if there’s anything to eat” he said to himself as he scanned the room.  There was nothing that he could see and he was starving.  Taking a chance, he opened the door a crack and looked out.  In the distance he saw a solitary guard running and quickly shut the door.  “Shit” he whispered.

There was nothing for it; he would have to go hungry for a little while longer.

Watching the clock on the wall opposite the bed was a boring task and after half an hour, AJ gave up and looked outside once more.  He decided to chance it when he saw that the coast was clear.  The eating area wasn’t far and although breakfast stopped being served a long time ago, lunch might still be available.  Of course he wouldn’t be able to get it in the usual way.  If he had his hand scanned then the game would be up and a swarm of guards would be onto him before he took his first mouthful.  No…he would have to resort to stealing leftovers or come up with some other plan.

The ‘some other plan’ came into operation when he spotted Nick at the other side of the room, eating his meager lunch.  There were other people around, but everyone was more interested in the food than some random guy in a purple shirt, so AJ quickly made his way to where Nick sat alone.

“Aje; what are you doing here?  I thought you’d be hiding” Nick asked, shocked to see his friend.

“I have been, but I can’t stay in the same place for too long in case I’m seen” AJ replied.

“Good thinking, and it’s good to see you in purple again”

“Feels good too, almost as if all this was just a bad dream” AJ briefly looked at his flashing palm before balling it up again.  “I was wondering if you could get me some food, you’ve got a couple of extra credits to use up and after tonight we won’t need them”

“Sure, but you can’t stay here.  Meet me in five minutes down the side of The Odyssey.  No one will be there at this time”

“Thanks” AJ said and was gone.

 

Nick finished his food and then purchased a sandwich with his extra credit.  No one questioned him as it was his credit to do as he pleased.  He took it to AJ who ate it hungrily and then told his friend he had to go back to work and would see him later.

“Don’t forget where we’re meeting”

“I’ll be there” AJ nodded and was gone.

AJ hid in various places over the next few hours; never relaxing for fear of getting caught.  In one place (behind a lose ventilation cover) he even saw the Luminary’s right hand man Howard – or Howie as he liked everyone to think of him – walk by.  This caused him to freeze with terror.  What if Howard knew where he was hiding?  What if they’d known exactly where he was all the time and were just playing with him?  He let out a silent sigh when Howie didn’t turn back.

As night approached, AJ made his way to the designated meeting point, hoping that the blue would be there.  He sighed with relief when he saw Nick was there already.

“Where is she?” AJ asked.

“She’s not here” Nick replied, disappointment in his voice.

“I don’t like this…it could be a set up…she could be telling the Luminary’s people that she caught a blinking red and collecting a reward”

“But she didn’t know you were a blinking red” Nick reasoned.

 “I would rather die than give someone up to that asshole” came a voice from out of nowhere “now let’s get moving before we’re found out”.

Chapter 5 by Carter-Orange

Chapter 5

AJ checked the blue out after she showed up. If this was going to turn out as an instant death sentence, at least he had something beautiful to look at in the end. He must have been staring because she turned looked at him like he was crazy.

“Hey blue, are we gonna get out of here or are we going to wait to get caught?” Nick asked impatiently looking around for any signs of other citizens or guards.

She looked around as if she were looking for someone. “Someone else was going to show up but I guess she changed her mind.” She shrugged and moved closer to the wall. “This way,” She said grabbing hold of Nick’s hand and pulling him along.

AJ followed them closely wondering where exactly they were going to break out, it wasn’t as if there were any walk ways to the surface. They were surrounded by solid cement; the only place he knew outside light came in was in the agriculture zone. They reached the north side of the arena, the entrance to the government zone.

“Fuck, you are turning us in.” Nick panicked but the blue would not let go of his hand. She reached her hand up and covered Nick’s mouth glaring at the purple outfitted man.

“SHH.” She demanded. AJ wanted to bolt. Why did he convince them both to do this, she was someone seeking to gain some extra credits. He couldn’t leave Nick though; the blue had a vice like grip on his hand holding him in place.

She turned her attention to the government zone. There was no movement, nobody was around. “Why do you think people get caught trying to escape?” She asked nodding her head towards the area where the guards and the government officials called home and work. She removed her hand slowly from Nick’s mouth and flattened herself against the wall. She seemed to be hesitant to enter the zone; AJ couldn’t blame her.

They stood there in silence for what seemed like forever to Nick. The blue was still clinging to his hand despite the buckets of sweat that seemed to be pouring off of it. His heart started racing when he heard the all too familiar sound of guard boots slowly approaching their location. If AJ had not started blinking that morning Nick would not be standing where he was today, it was only the thought of keeping him alive a little longer that kept him rooted to his spot instead of bolting.

AJ and Nick both about wet themselves when the guard came into view and turned in their direction. They knew they were caught, AJ only hoped their execution would be one of the more quick deaths. The guard made no movement to apprehend them but rather turned and looked the other direction.

“Now,” the blue said and pulled Nick’s arm so hard it felt as if she pulled it out of his socket. Nick didn’t have time to look behind him to make sure AJ was behind them. He hoped his friend was following closely. He hardly had time to take in the government zone as they ran but he noticed that the living spaces were definitely bigger than even the married dwellings. Others even stood alone and apart from each other. They looked huge.

AJ kept right on Nick’s heels though he was positive Nick didn’t know he was there. They were out in the open far too long for AJ’s liking and he sighed with relief when they turned down an alley way. They sat crouched in the darkness as the guard from the front walked by them again. All three were heaving in an attempt to catch their breath as they waited. Waited for what though?

AJ’s eyes fell on the blue that had risked a lot to tell them her plans in the open arena with everyone around. He watched her as she continued to watch the guard, waiting for the next signal. Her dark, wavy hair was loosely pulled back tonight instead of freely falling around her shoulders as it had been when they first met. She had a bag strapped to her back, why hadn’t he thought of packing a bag of things, it was likely they would need them if they did get out of Endwise.

“Now,” the blue whispered and they started running again taking a sharp right and heading towards the biggest compound in the government zone. Nick’s heart was beating a mile a minute at the looming building; he thought he was going to have a heart attack as they got even closer to the building.

They reached the end of the building where it met the wall and Nick wondered where they were going now, he was beginning to think that the blue had taken a wrong turn when she started to shuffle between the building and the wall. Nick felt AJ grab a hold of his other hand as all three shuffled through the tight space. When they finally came through the other side, Nick about peed his pants as he saw a guard standing there waiting for them.
“Fuck,” AJ muttered when he came out of the confined area.

Nick and AJ were somewhat stunned when the guard came forward and hugged the blue. “Good luck,” he whispered and pulled a metal cover out of part of the cement wall. He held the cover as the blue pushed Nick through the hole that was revealed.

“Stay safe,” AJ heard the blue tell the guard as he entered the tunnel.

AJ shuddered to think what he was crawling over, he had never felt anything like it before and wasn’t sure he ever wanted to again.

“Nick, if you fart I am going to beat your ass when we get out of here.” AJ muttered to the man crawling in front of him. “That is if we don’t die the moment we get out of here,” AJ added.

“Shhh,” came the blue’s harsh voice from behind him.

They seemed to crawl for hours before Nick came to the end of the tunnel. He was unsure what to do next, why did the blue put him in front, he didn’t know what he was doing. He felt AJ collide with his backside and start muttering to him about his ass smelling.

“Push forward.” The blue spoke up. Nick reached his arms in front of him touching the wall in front of him, it was not rough like cement but cold and smooth like metal. He shoved as hard as he could and let out a grunt of disbelief as it moved and fell down to the ground outside the tunnel.

Nick managed to turn enough so that his feet would be the first things out of the tunnel. He moved out and stood to the side. He took several deep breaths and looked behind him. The walls of the arena loomed next to him. He was standing outside Endwise and he was still alive. His eyes continued to take in the surroundings letting them fall on the next tallest thing around.

AJ’s feet came out of the tunnel and soon his whole body was emerging. He wiped his hands on the borrowed purple shirt and stood next to the wall. He turned his attention to the tunnel and stuck his hand out for the blue to grab as she exited the darkness. Only after she was out did he notice his friend staring at something dumbstruck. AJ looked in the direction that Nick was looking in and gawked.

“Is that a…?” he asked to no one in particular.

“A tree,” Nick breathed out the words. He remembered pictures of these beautiful plants from his school books. Never in his life did he think he would see one in person.

“We made it.” AJ smiled to the other two looking down at the blinking light. He wondered if it would ever just stop or if it would be a forever reminder of where he came from.

“Not yet,” The blue spoke. “Someone will miss a blue and purple and report it. They will come looking and it won’t be long before they think to look outside. We must keep moving.”

End Notes:

Thanks for reading!

Chapter 6 by Purpura Lipstick
“Before we go any further, how about some introductions?” Nick suggested, eager to know more about this beautiful young woman in the blue shirt who seemed to be risking it all to help a purple and a red she didn’t even know.  He wondered if she even knew AJ’s timer was flashing.  Punishment for concealing or helping a person wanted by the guards could be quite severe, and that’s why it rarely happened.   “I’m Nick and this is my friend AJ”
 
“Yeah well as much as I’d love to stand here passing the time of day getting to know you both, we’ve gotta run” the blue looked to the tunnel they’d just exited, hoping they hadn’t been followed, then back to Nick who was looking at her expectantly.   “Emma, now let’s move it”
 
The three fugitives ran through the ruins of a once great city, but which city they had no idea, nor could they see much of it.  It was cold and dark outside, with only a couple of glow sticks which Emma had thoughtfully packed to guide their way through the night, plus the brightness of the full moon high up in the sky.  Nick didn’t think he’d ever seen anything as beautiful as the night sky.  He’d seen pictures in books, but they didn’t do the real thing justice.   
 
“Do you know where we’re going?” AJ asked as he tried to keep up with Emma.  There was no doubt about it, he found her attractive.
 
“No, I’ve never been outside, but I was told to head west” Emma replied, checking the pocket compass which had been given to her.  She hoped it wouldn’t let her down.  This was her first time outside, the first time she’d been given the opportunity to lead a mission for the rebels.  She didn’t want to let them down.
 
“How do you know we’re going west?” Nick asked curiously.  He tripped on some overgrowth and fell to the rough ground with a thud.
 
“You alright?” AJ asked helping his friend up.  This wasn’t the first time one of them had tripped over and it wouldn’t be the last either.  The ground was hard, rough and uneven in some places, making running quite a task.
 
“Fine” Nick replied, grabbing a handful of the offending green stuff and tossing it to the side “what is all this stuff?”
 
“Vines” Emma replied, wishing they’d stop with all the questions. 
 
They didn’t have time for questions now; there would be plenty of time to talk once they’d got a safe distance away.  In just a few hours the Luminary would be alerted that a blue and purple were missing from work and the guards would be sent to investigate.  If they weren’t home then questions would be asked.  You didn’t not show for work; you had to report in with a valid reason.
 
“Vines?” Nick questioned.  He didn’t know what that was; it wasn’t something he’d seen in a book, at least not any book he could remember.
 
“It’s a name given to climbing plants or plants which spread” Emma replied matter of factly.  “We’re going to see a lot of this kind of thing and so much more”
 
“And the Luminary told us there was nothing outside…” AJ mused.  They’d always been told that nothing existed outside the city, and nothing was able to exist in the old world.  That’s why they lived the way they did.  No people, no animals, no plants, no nothing.  Why would they lie? 
 
“Well the Luminary is full of shit” Emma huffed.  “Let’s keep moving, I don’t want to stop until I know we have a good distance between us and the city”
 
After having a quick sip of water – which again Emma had been thoughtful enough to bring – the three of them carried on running.  It was hard to really take in their surroundings due to the darkness, but one thing was for sure, life outside was indeed possible.  They’d been outside for a while and nothing had happened to them.  Surely they would be dead or dying by now if what the Luminary said was true?
 
“Can we stop now?” Nick pleaded after they must’ve been running for hours.  His legs were aching and he was breathing heavily.  He took his shirt off and mopped up the sweat which was running down his face, then tied the shirt around his head.  He was no longer cold.
 
“Surely no one will come this far!” AJ exclaimed, also ready for a rest.  He didn’t know how he’d managed to keep going for so long, but he guessed that fear played a big part in it.
 
“We don’t know that” Emma replied.  This was all new to her.  She wasn’t sure how far the others had got before they’d been captured.  Maybe they’d got further, or maybe they’d hardly made it out of the tunnel before being apprehended and marched back to face execution.  “But I think we should be alright to rest for a couple of hours”.
 
It was still dark as the three of them settled down to rest on a soft patch of ground, but the sky was beginning to change colour and was no longer pitch black anymore.
 
“One of us should keep watch” Emma suggested as she looked out into the darkness “I’ll take the first hour”
 
“Fine by me” AJ closed his eyes and within moments was asleep and snoring softly.
 
“You ought to get some sleep too Nick, you’ll be on lookout after me”
 
“Why are you running?  You’re only a blue and have years left…” Nick began then stopped when he noticed the color of the sky.  It was changing color before his very eyes.  Obviously he was aware of day and night, back home in the city there were clocks everywhere to tell them the time and there were also zones where natural daylight flooded in.  But Nick had never seen natural light before.  He didn’t work in the agriculture zone.  He didn’t know that what he was seeing was a sunrise as he lay there just staring at the beauty of it.
 
Emma was looking up at the sky too.  “Why did you run Nick?” she asked.
 
“Because there has to be more” Nick held his arms up “like this for example”.
 
“My reasons too.  Good night Nick”
 
Nick took the hint that she didn’t want to talk anymore, but he couldn’t sleep.
Chapter 7 by Carter-Orange
Chapter 7



AJ wasn’t sure how long he actually slept before the light became unbearable. “Nick turn off the damn light it can’t be time to get up yet.” He mumbled. When Nick didn’t respond or turn off the light AJ reached to grab his pillow to throw at him only to find no pillow below him. His hands fell on leaves, vines and other various items from the ground he’d been sleeping on. Their escape hadn’t been a dream; they really were outside the walls of Endwise.

He rubbed his neck as he sat up. The blue, Emma she said her name was, was laying a small distance away from him. He watched her sleeping and then realizing how creepy that would be if she woke to see him staring he turned his eyes to search for Nick. He found him sitting up against a rock just staring up at the sky. He wondered, at first, if the younger man was asleep but that was dispelled when Nick rubbed his eyes and turned towards AJ.

“Morning, Jay.” Nick smiled at his friend and stretched. His stomach growled with hunger as he moved near his friend. “Have you ever seen anything like it?” Nick’s eyes found their way back skywards.

AJ looked in the direction Nick was looking in and smiled. “Remember that brief time I thought I wanted to get married and I was courting that girl who worked in the agriculture zone? She took me there a few mornings to see the sunlight start to come through, but I never thought the sky would look so… blue.”

“I know that the history books back in our yellow and green years had pictures of the world before and then pictures of the world after.” Nick remembered pictures of a brown sky; they were told it was caused by the bombs the citizens of Old Earth had used to destroy each other. They were told it was lucky they were able to filter enough sunlight to grow their crops; they were told the sky would never be blue again. They were told a lot of things that were turning out to be wrong, what else had they been told that was completely wrong.

They sat in silence a few minutes more until Nick’s stomach broke the silence. Nick looked at Emma still sleeping. “I wonder if she brought any food and would share.”

“Some,” the girl’s voice startled them both; they both thought she had been fast asleep. Emma sat up and routed through her bag. She pulled out the familiar ration bars that Endwise would provide you if you ran out of credits. It was, at least, one nice thing about living in the city, nobody went hungry. She handed one to each of them and strapped her bag to her back. “It would be best if we keep moving. Work will notice us missing soon, and when they can’t find us or the blinking red they are supposed to be collecting they will start to hunt outside. It’s best we distance ourselves as far as we can.”

Emma started walking without looking back to make sure the other two were following. She’d been planning this mission for weeks and was able to prepare what she thought she might need but these two had no idea what would be waiting for them. She started to question why she wanted them along. She sighed when she remembered why she asked them to come; she turned and looked at Nick. “Come on,” She ordered and picked up the pace smiling to herself when her back was turned away from them.

They walked faster now that they could see where the vines and outcrop of rocks were located and they were able to side step them. Nick walked slower than the rest taking in his surroundings. He still couldn’t believe what he was seeing. He hardly got any sleep, afraid that if he closed his eyes the next moment he would open them and AJ would be in the guard’s custody set for next month’s mandatory execution.

“This is very cool.” Nick muttered to no one in particular.

“Yah,” AJ reluctantly agreed before he jogged to catch up with Emma. “You look very determined.” He had to say to her twice before she heard him the second time and turned to acknowledge him.

“I have an important task, one that could change the course of people inside Endwise.” She said before sprinting up a small hill and looking around and back down to her compass. “Let’s rest here a minute.”

Her eyes fell on the direction Endwise was in, you could barely see the dome of the arena above the trees. From information brought to the ears of the rebels she was still not safe. Many made it out but were found and brought back in. Emma hoped that by sticking to the area with wild growth it would help conceal and protect them more, the machines the Luminary used to hunt down escapees would hopefully not function as well in this area.

“What the fuck?” AJ’s voice cut through her thoughts and she glanced down scared that somehow the guard had already caught up to them. Nick joined his friend also clearly in a panic.

“What?” She asked when it wasn’t obvious what the sudden outburst was about. AJ looked up at her and held out his hands, palms flat out. There was no color. Emma gasped and looked down at her own palm and noted that her hand was absent of any color other than the color of the flesh that had surrounded her color indicator for so long.

“It’s gone,” Nick’s voice wafted up to her and she noticed he was looking at his own hand now vacant of the purple coloring.

Tears formed in Emma’s eyes. She felt free of the burden’s her color placed on her, she felt free of the impending doom that would come to her eventually when she reached blinking red as AJ had been just moments before. She looked at the two men with her and smiled as she wiped the tears away. “Let’s keep going.” She said with renewed energy, she noted her companions also started to walk again with a new determination.

~*~



“Sir,” a man in the black uniform of the guard came forward. The Luminary looked up and, out of habit; his eyes fell on the purple color bands that adorned the guard’s arms. “We have searched their residences and they are not to be found. All communicators have been left in the rooms.” The man reported.

The Luminary calmly looked around the room at the others present. His gaze stopped when he came to his second in command. “Howie, this news is most disturbing.” He stood and waved the guards to leave the room so he could talk alone with his confidant, one of the few he could trust.

“The blue, I seem to recall she held ties to the rebels.” The Luminary spoke. “But the purple has no record of disturbances, no record of any grumblings.”

“His roommate just started blinking,” Howie spoke up offering an explanation for why a purple would go missing. “I’ve questioned many of the guards on duty last night, it is reasonable to believe they have made a break for it, they have left Endwise and have taken the blinking red with them.”

The Luminary started to breathe long even breaths in an attempt to calm himself down. He thought for sure after the executions, after showing all those pictures again that no one would be stupid enough to attempt leaving. “Gather the troops, we leave at first light.” He ordered.

“They will have a day start.” Howie piped up.

“It is of little consequence. None of them are prepared for what they will find out there. If the animals don’t get them, surely the lack of food and water will.” He waited until Howie left the room before swiping the papers off his desk in one angry stroke.

Chapter 8 by Purpura Lipstick
The Luminary and rulers before him had been right about one thing; the Old Earth did appear to be nothing more than a barren wasteland.  The landscape for miles around was nothing more than ruins and unfamiliar vegetation.  Nick tried to imagine how it had looked before the war which had obliterated it.  He wondered how people had lived in those days; had their lives been so very different to the lives of the people in the city, and if so, how different?
 
“We’re wasting our time here, there’s nothing!” AJ said as he kicked the dirt in frustration.  With just a small amount of water and a couple of ration bars between the three of them, it didn’t take a genius to realize that they weren’t going to last long if they didn’t find food and drink soon.  Going hungry wasn’t something anyone from Endwise ever had to deal with.
 
“And what about the alternative; there’s nothing there for you either.  If we were back in the city you’d be locked away in a dark and cramped cell waiting for execution with the other blinkers” Emma told him.  “There has to be something…there just has to be!”
 
“Point taken, sorry for being such a grouch” AJ replied.  He shuddered at the thought of a dark and cramped holding cell.  If he was going to die, he was going to die as a free man and not at the Luminary’s hand.  At least now they’d gotten a fair way from the city, they were finally free of the timers which dictated their fate.  He wouldn’t have even questioned it if he and Nick hadn’t met Emma.  He didn’t know anyone who protested.  It was just the way it was and always had been.  None of them had known any other way of life.
 
They carried on walking at a fast pace, along the crumbling road, climbing over rocks, wading through fields of tall grass and other unfamiliar terrain.  The sun was now high in the sky and the three travellers felt it’s rays burning their pale skin.  Nick rolled his shirt sleeves down; his arms were looking a bit pink and felt a little uncomfortable. 
 
“Maybe they were right, maybe we can’t live out here after all.  This isn’t right, I’m burning up!” Nick complained, thinking that perhaps the Old Earth wasn’t habitable after all.  He began to panic, his breathing altered and he started to hyperventilate.
 
“Nick, it’s OK…deep breaths…calm down” Emma said soothingly “don’t you remember reading about the sun?  I remember reading about how in old times, people liked to sit out in it to brown themselves.  It was considered attractive to be burned by the sun”
 
“Weird!” AJ shook his head.  He recalled an incident when he’d burned himself on some scalding hot water; he didn’t think that had been very attractive, and it had hurt like hell.
 
“Very weird” Emma agreed. 
 
“So I’m not dying?” Nick asked, his breathing slowly returning to normal.  He still wasn’t sure what was happening to him, but was glad it didn’t seem to be life threatening after all. 
 
“No Nick, I’m pretty sure it’s just your skin’s reaction to the sun” Emma replied.
 
Nick covered himself as much as possible, he even covered his head with the giant leaves which were in abundance and secured them with vines he ripped out of the ground.
 
“Very attractive” AJ laughed, but he and Emma were soon wearing them too.
 
~*~
 
The Luminary squinted in the sunlight as his eyes adjusted to the brightness.  He hadn’t stepped foot outside for a long time.  Why citizens wanted to leave the safety of the city for this desolate wasteland was beyond him.  Didn’t they realize he knew what was best for them all; that his rules were in place to ensure they lived a comfortable existence?  Every so often a small band of rebels would form and try to undermine his authority, they never succeeded.  Never.  It had been the same for his predecessor and probably the one before him.  This time would be no different.  The traitors would be caught and made to wish they’d never disobeyed.  He would savor every moment of their torture.
 
“Is the tracking equipment ready?” he asked his second in command, Howie.
 
“Yes sir” Howie replied “ready when you are”.
 
“Good…good” the Luminary rubbed his hands together and grinned evilly.  He couldn’t wait to find them.  He always enjoyed the look of horror on escapees’ faces when they realized the game was up.  “By nightfall I hope to have them within our grasp!”
 
He then gave the command to commence the tracking.
 
~*~
 
“What the hell is that thing?” Nick asked in horror as a small brown fluffy thing scurried across the crumbling ground and disappeared into the brambles by the roadside.
 
“I have no idea” AJ replied.
 
“Look, there’s more of them” Nick almost screeched as he pointed to the bouncy little fluff balls.
 
“What if they’re dangerous?” AJ panicked.  They may look all small and cute, but they were foreign to him and his traveling companions.
 
Nick audibly gulped.  In the world in which they had been brought up in, the only living things he’d ever seen were other people.
 
“Guys, I’m pretty sure they aren’t dangerous” Emma replied as she looked around for more of them.
 
“How do you know that?  We don’t know a thing about this world!” AJ said.
 
“Because they are running away from us” she laughed.  No one had told her what life was like on the outside.  The previous rebels who’d made it outside had been executed before they had the chance to tell their story.  All Emma knew was that the red roses came from outside.
 
They carried on walking having determined that they were in no danger from the little fluffy brown things.  In fact, the more they thought about it, they were glad to have come across other living things.  If they existed then surely other life did too.
 
But the good feeling didn’t last for long. 
 
A few miles down the bumpy road, Emma stepped on something which crunched under her foot.  She looked down and screamed at what she saw.  Bones.  Not just any old bones, but human bones.  There was a skull and a rib cage with little scraps of clothing clinging to it.  Emma felt sick to her stomach.
 
“Gross” Nick kicked at the bones and watched as the skull rolled across the dirt.
 
“I wonder how long it’s been there” AJ wondered.  Had it been someone from the city who had run like they had?  Had they died of hunger or thirst in their quest for life outside?  Was it someone from the outside world?  Or was the skeleton much older than that?  Was it someone who’d died all those years ago during the nuclear war? 
 
“I don’t want to know” Emma shuddered “but I’m sure we’ll be seeing more unpleasantness on our journey”
 
She wasn’t wrong…
Chapter 9 by Carter-Orange
Chapter 9



The day wore on, Nick was glad when the sun started to set. He rolled the sleeves to his shirt up again as the air cooled and the sun no longer felt as threatening. His arms ached as the material ran over his arms but the cool air felt good as a breeze blew across his skin. His mouth was dry and he wet his lips with his tongue as he stopped where he stood, leaning against a tree.

“Here,” Emma handed him the bottle of water and he got enough in him to wet his mouth. There was not much water left and they were all being careful now. “We should stop before it gets too dark.” Emma had thought them lucky that they had not run into any guards yet. She was starting to feel that perhaps they were beyond even the Luminary’s reach.

She passed out the last remaining ration bars. Her stomach settled from the ache of hunger for a few minutes before groaning at her again.

AJ took his time eating his ration bar. He thought about eating part of it now and saving the rest for the morning. He managed to stop himself halfway through his bar and carefully he folded the wrapper around it and placed it in his pocket. He watched Emma across the way with Nick. She was even more beautiful tonight than she had been the night she first spoke with them. At times her attitude was harsh and callous but there were moments when he saw the everyday Emma breaking through the tough exterior he sensed she was putting on for the face of the mission.

He had intended to sit awake with her on the first shift that night; he wanted to see if he could get to know the real Emma more.

“I’ll take first watch,” Emma spoke. AJ knew she would volunteer first; she always took the first watch. He watched as Nick lay down, tossing around in an attempt to get comfortable but soon his even breathing indicated he was asleep. AJ crept along until he was standing next to Emma; carefully he sat next to her.

“You should sleep.” She said adjusting her position slightly. “Tomorrow is going to be tough.”

“I can’t,” he lied. He was exhausted. His body desperately wanted him to lie down and sleep but this was the only time he would be able to talk with Emma while Nick was not around. “Do you think we will find what you are looking for?”

When she didn’t respond to his question, AJ tried a different tactic. “How did you get involved with the rebels?”

“I was green and my friend turned blue and was recruited to the guard. Through him I learned the evils of the government.” She hugged her legs to her chest and thought of her friend, he was the closest to family she had and she assumed she loved him like she would love a brother, if families in Endwise were allowed more than one child. She never thought of him as more than a friend though she was sure he loved her as more. She hoped he was still safe. He had risked his life to ensure her mission started well.

“The guard at the wall?” AJ asked and she nodded in response. Emma sighed and shook her head. She didn’t want to talk about her friend anymore, she needed to stay strong and every time she thought of him she worried about what would be done to him if they found out he was a rebel.

AJ could sense that Emma no longer wanted to talk so he sat there next to her. When he saw her shiver he tentatively put his arm around her to keep her warm. When she didn’t shrug it off, he turned his face towards the sky and smiled. Maybe now that he was free from the confines of the laws of Endwise he could finally let himself love.

The searing pain in his arm forced Nick to sit straight up. “What the hell?” he cursed looking at Emma sitting next to him. “What the fuck did you do to me?”

Emma was looking at him perplexed. “I only tapped your arm to let you know that it was time for your shift.” She felt hurt that he had snapped at her. She barely touched him.

Nick’s arms stung like the skin was freshly burned. “Dammit,” he looked down at his arm and even in the light of the moon he could see how red his arms were. When he noticed Emma’s face his own softened. “I’m sorry I yelled at you.” He sighed and sat up rubbing his eyes. “You get some sleep.” He smiled at her and when she smiled back he felt better.

It didn’t take long for Emma to fall asleep, Nick was mildly upset he didn’t have more time to talk to her but he was glad to be alone with his thoughts. He was worried about their current situation, their food was gone and their water would be gone the next day without doubt. If they could not find more food and, especially, more water, their escape would end like the bones they tread upon the day before. He let his mind mull over these thoughts.

“Wait,” he exclaimed loudly then looked around to make sure that his sound of revelation did not wake his sleeping companions. He had thought of it. Those brown fluffy things were living. If they were living in this area there had to be food and water or they wouldn’t be around.

Excited by his revelation, Nick was eager to begin searching. He soon realized it would be too dark to see any those creatures now. He sat staring into the darkness willing the sun to rise in the sky so he could find these animals and how they survive.

~*~



The man sat at a table; a makeshift desk, that sat in the middle of the tent he had the guards erect before the sun had completely disappeared for the night. It was likely everyone with him was still sleeping but he was up, he was always an early riser. He thought this was one of his better qualities; it made being the leader of Endwise that much easier to be awake and aware before many citizens woke and rubbed the sleep from their eyes.

The Luminary reread the words on the papers in front of him. He’d been staring at the same papers for the last hour or so, he was seeing faint light start to creep in through the slight opening of the tent. It would soon be time for the others to arise, eat and continue their hunt; he needed to finish the paperwork now. His mind, however, would not let him concentrate. He couldn’t understand how these three escapees had managed to elude him thus far.

“Sir,” Howie’s voice broke through the silence and he looked up to see his second in command standing at full attention in front of him. Howie had learned to be an early riser, but the Luminary still awoke before him.

“Bring me two men from the advanced team,” He spoke rubbing the bridge of his nose. He watched as Howie exited the tent and pushed open the flap shortly after, two men entering with him.

“These two volunteered.”

“Excellent,” He looked at the blue bands on the men’s arms and smiled. Both were still naïve enough to think that volunteering could prolong their time. He spoke in low tones giving instruction to these two men to head out ahead of everyone else, their job was to find the ones they were looking for and report back to the group where they could find them. They left after receiving their instructions leaving the Luminary alone with Howie once again. They went over the reports for Endwise, this time the Luminary was able to focus knowing soon he would be torturing three people who thought they could get away.

~*~



As soon as Nick saw lightness in the sky he stood and brushed himself off, carefully pulling the sleeves over his arms and putting on his hat made from leaves. He did not need any more damage from the sun. He moved closer to Emma and carefully took the container that held water and put the strap across his chest.

Quietly he sneaked around the area keeping his eyes open for a flash of brown. He was rewarded when he stepped on a twig that snapped under his weight. Several of the animals darted in the opposite direction of the sound. He smiled to himself and with one quick look back in the direction Emma and AJ were sleeping in, he carefully followed the creatures hoping they would lead him to food and hopefully water.
The sun was now lighting the sky completely and Nick knew that soon the others would wake. He had been watching and following the animals for quite a distance now and was afraid he would not succeed, that his energy would be wasted in an unfruitful search.

A smile broke out on his face as he saw one brave animal near a bush with berries on it. Nick knew about several berries that were grown in the agriculture zone and sold for credits in Endwise but he’d never seen any growing wild. He watched as the animal twitched and ate a berry in front of it. They were edible; he had found food. If only he could find water now. Nick moved closer, scaring the animal, and reached for a few berries.

A flash of movement in his peripheral vision distracted him from picking the berries. He spun in the direction of the movement but seeing nothing he turned back to pick some more. Before he had time to react for a second time, a body collided with him toppling him to the ground.

Panic struck Nick, his heart racing as a guard stood looming over him. “Found ya,” the man smirked gleefully. “Your friends should be near, I have a friend too.” He grinned letting it sink in with Nick what he was implying.

The memory of AJ and Emma sleeping soundly came swiftly to his mind and anger flooded through him. He tried to rein in his anger, there were harsh penalties for violence in Endwise and he was used to controlling his anger, but he was no longer in Endwise. Realizing he no longer had to bow to the rules of a city he no longer lived, Nick charged the guard knocking him flat to the ground. Straddling the man, Nick swung his fists at the guard aiming for his gut and face.

A few punches of Nicks’ collided with the man but having never learned how to fight; the guard easily shoved Nick off, kicking him to the ground. Instinct had Nick rolling into a ball and putting his arms across his face to protect his face and stomach. His arms hurt like nothing he’d felt before as the man held him down and punched him a few times. He could feel the pressure of the guard’s knee in his side.

“No,” Nick groaned as the man continued to punch him.

“If you think this is bad, the Luminary will do worse.” The man actually cackled after he told Nick this. “I hope he will reward me with some private time with the female blue before he gets to her.” He bragged.

Nick couldn’t stand the thought of this man touching Emma. Using all his weight he was able to knock the man off of him and to the ground. He stood and braced himself as the guard stood and charged at Nick again. Nick felt himself being slammed up against a tree but this time, with images of this man putting his hands all over Emma, his punches flew at the guard with more force. Blood trickled from the other man’s nose and Nick could taste blood in his own mouth from the hits he was receiving.

Nick could feel the man using his weight to hold him against the tree, attempting to hold both arms down with one arm, the guard reached to his side where Nick knew he held his weapon. Nick pushed the man hoping he could use the tree to give him extra leverage, but it was too late. Nick felt the cold metal at his throat, the guard smiling with triumph.

A loud noise rang out disrupting the silence. Nick and the guard stared wide eyed as blood sprayed over both of them.

Chapter 10 by Carter-Orange

Chapter 10



Nick fell backwards against the tree, gasping for air as his hands clutched his throat. Had he really just been shot? He didn’t feel any pain, none whatsoever. Maybe he was already dead and his limp lifeless body was down on the ground below him, devoid of a soul, whilst he was now that said soul. That was the only possible explanation he could think of. He’d felt the cold metal pushed into his neck, he’d heard the gun fire and seen the spray of blood. He knew he hadn’t pulled the trigger.

“You alright?” asked an unfamiliar voice, causing Nick to swing around and see who was there.

A few feet away stood another guard, identifiable by the distinctive uniform, a gun in his right hand poised ready to shoot. Nick figured he wasn’t dead after all, but soon would be. Maybe in the heat of the moment he’d had an adrenaline rush and had managed to turn the gun onto his attacker. No one in Endwise had ever done such a thing. Violence towards each other or anyone in authority was severely dealt with, thus keeping life there relatively drama free.

“I…” Nick began, still not knowing what the hell was going on. It was then that Nick noticed the guard who’d attacked him, lying crumpled on the ground, his life’s blood drained out of a gaping hole in his neck and now puddled on the rough ground. “I didn’t mean to…he was going to kill me…”

How was he going to get out of this situation? He saw a stick on the ground and went to grab it, any weapon was better than nothing, even though he wasn’t trained in combat like the guards were. A bit of broken off tree was no match for a gun though and Nick didn’t hold out much hope for his survival.

“I know, that’s why I killed him” the guard stated, matter of factly as he lowered his gun.

“You killed him?” Nick asked incredulously. Why would a member of the guard kill one of his own? Nick scratched his head in confusion. “Why would you do that?”

“Because I’m on your side” he replied and placed the gun on the ground and kicked it away to show he meant no harm “see?”

“But…you’re a guard?” Nick asked in confusion. Why would a guard turn on one of his own kind? It just didn’t make sense.

“I’m also one of the rebels; you’d be surprised just how high up the ranks we have managed to infiltrate the authorities” the guard said rather smugly “big changes are coming, you mark my words”

“How do I know I can trust you? That you’re not just getting me to admit to shit I don’t even know?” Nick queried suspiciously. He wished Emma were there, maybe she knew this guy. He was claiming to be a rebel after all!

“Does this mean anything?” he pulled out a red rose petal from his trouser pocket. A withering rose petal, but nevertheless it was still the symbol Nick had come to know as the rebels’ emblem. “Where’s Emma?”

“Erm…she’s with AJ...my friend” Nick replied, still bewildered to be talking in such a manner with a guard. A guard who seemed to be on their side.

“Ah, the flashing red?” the guard guessed. “Then lead the way”

“No need” came the sound of Emma’s voice from nearby. “So he sent his guards this far out? How far away are the rest of them?”

“Good to see you Emma, I was beginning to get worried I wouldn’t find you when the tracking device stopped working” the guard embraced her in a big hug, clearly glad to see that she was alright, Emma soon softened and returned his hug.

“Good to see you too Evan” Emma pulled away and held out her hand “but maybe this is the reason the trackers don’t work”. She showed him the clear mark which had once been blue and smiled. She hadn’t anticipated the Luminary sending out guards with tracking devices, so to know that they no longer worked this far away from Endwise was something of a small victory.

Evan took his black gloves off and examined his own hand, marvelling at the sight of it without his timer. “You must be right” he agreed, turning his hand in the early morning sunlight to make sure he was really seeing what he thought he was seeing.

The guard, Evan, filled them both in on what was going on. He was going to go back to the Luminary’s people and tell them that this way was a dead end, that there were no traces anyone had passed through.

“What about him?” Nick looked at the dead man on the ground “what are you gonna say happened to him?”

“There are a lot of wild animals out here Nick; he could’ve suffered a fatal attack…or a nasty fall. Don’t worry; I’ll have a plausible explanation for them all. And it’s not as if the Luminary will care; we’re all expendable as far as he’s concerned” Evan replied bitterly.

They moved the body into a patch of thick overgrowth, covering him up as much as they could and then kicked dirt over the blood to conceal it.

“I guess I should head back” Evan said “don’t want them getting suspicious and sending anyone else this way”

“Stay safe” Emma hugged him once more.

“Yeah, you too. Good luck, I hope you find what we’re all hoping you find” he pulled away, nodded his head to Nick and then walked away.

“Do you really think the Luminary will believe him?” Nick asked.

“I think so. Evan’s a guard; he had to undergo training to gain that position. The Luminary only employs those he considers trustworthy to be guards. It’s just a good thing that Evan is such a convincing liar!” she laughed.

Nick wondered for a moment just who Evan was lying to.

End Notes:

Thanks for reading, we appreciate it!

Chapter 11 by Purpura Lipstick

“We should get going.” Emma said eyeing the bottle of water strapped across Nick’s chest. She wondered if there was anything left or if the blond had doomed them all and drank the remaining water. A loud groan from her stomach caused her to blush from embarrassment. She was not used to her body making that noise, it was embarrassing to experience these noises with Nick and AJ around.


 


AJ reached his hand into his pocket. He had saved half of his ration bar with the intention of eating it himself, but it was obvious how hungry Emma was and he was willing to give it to her. “Emma…” he started to talk but Nick spoke over him.


 


“I found something,” He beamed at the other two and motioned for them to follow him. Nick was excited to show them what he had found. They could at last eat and since it was fruit, though not as quenching as water, there would be some water in it too.


 


Nick showed the bush full of berries to the other two and took one off popping it in his mouth as Emma started to protest. “What if they are poisonous?”


 


Nick shook his head. “I watched those brown animals for hours this morning and saw one eating these berries.”


 


“Good thinking,” Emma beamed at him and pulled out a pouch from her bag and started to collect the berries, popping a few in her mouth as she worked. Nick joined in helping her but when she noticed AJ wasn’t doing anything she held her hand out with a few berries. “Here,” She offered him some smiling.


 


AJ shook his head and held up his ration bar. “I will eat this,” He sulked as he crammed the rest of the bar in his mouth. The bar he was going to offer Emma in hopes that she would look at him in the same way she was looking at Nick now.


 


“I was thinking there might be water around here somewhere since the animals were hanging around this area, perhaps they live here, but I haven’t seen any.” Nick reported.


 


“We shouldn’t hang around here too long anyway, if somehow they don’t believe Evan’s story we don’t want to be around in case they come back looking.” Emma piped up and the others agreed. They turned in the opposite direction, the direction they’d been walking in for the past couple of days, and started walking again.


 


AJ walked behind the other two. Nick’s discovery had given Emma and him stuff to talk about. Emma was curious to hear all about what he had observed that morning, and Nick was like an eager student wanting to please the teacher. When they stopped for a rest Nick was still talking about the brown fluffy animals he’d decided to call ‘puffballs’.


 


“There was one little puffball that actually had enough guts to start to approach me. He was intriguing to watch as his nose twitched. He got close but I moved, only ever so slightly, and he scurried off faster than I could think possible.” Emma’s face had a bright smile on it as she listened to Nick’s stories. She pulled out the pouch with the berries and they sat near each other eating them and talking about the ‘puffballs’ and everything else they’d seen now that they were free from the walls of their confinement.


 


AJ’s stomach grumbled uncomfortably as he watched the other two popping the berries into their mouths. When they first stopped they had offered him some but he had refused again, he wasn’t going to get sick from some berries Nick found. After their rest they started up again and soon AJ found himself falling behind.


 


“Wait up,” He called out before he heard a strange rattling noise. He was about to take a step forward when Nick yelled at him to stop.


 


“Nick, I’m too tired to play games.” AJ said before he started to move forward again. He saw something lunge towards him but before it connected with his leg, Emma’s bag fell flat on whatever it was. “What the hell?” he questioned his heart racing from being startled.


 


“Snake,” Nick whispered.


 


“What?” AJ asked hurrying away from where he was standing, grabbing Emma’s bag as he quickly moved. He turned and looked back where he was standing and saw a long rope-like thing lying in the grass. “How do you know what it is? I don’t remember seeing those in any book.” AJ mentioned.


 


“Not in our books, but in the medical wing.” Nick whispered. “When I had tests done I saw nurses pushing carts full of those around and so I asked about them. They are poison but their poison, when harvested can be changed to make healing medicine too.”


 


AJ shuddered looking at the snake lying flat only inches from where he had been standing. His stomach growling loudly broke the silence between the three.


 


“Do you guys think you can, maybe, share some of those berries?” AJ asked still looking at the snake. He almost died and he was refusing food because Nick had found it? He needed to get his head on straight.


 


“Sure,” Emma was standing next to him now; he could feel her standing close as the warmth from her body radiated to his arm. She took hold of his hand and opened it placing the pouch with the berries in it. Her fingers touching his skin were soft and sent chills down his arm and spine. He turned and looked at her. He noticed her lips slightly colored from the berries, he wished he could move closer and taste the berries on her lips. He stood looking at her, her cheeks turned red and she looked away quickly.


 


“Let’s get moving,” She said brushing off their intimate moment as if it was nothing. AJ smiled to himself at the thought of her being close. Perhaps that night he would get to be close to her again. He took a few berries from the pouch and hungrily shoved them in his mouth as he jogged to catch up to the other two.


 


*~*


 


The advanced guard stood in front of him. It was obvious by the man’s demeanor that he was flustered. The Luminary couldn’t blame him, his partner was dead and he had to explain how it happened. “Tell me again?”


 


“We were scouting the area when an animal attacked. I’ve never seen anything like it before. It stood taller than a man and was covered in fur. From where I stood I could see the size of his claws, it was amazing Adam lasted as long as he did against it.”


 


“And his body? You didn’t bring it back for proper burial?” The Luminary raised his eyebrows. All of the guard knew that to they would never know eternal peace unless they were cremated in the proper way back at Endwise.


 


“The beast dragged it with him. I would have fought to get it back but I knew you would want the information we had gathered about the escapees. I weighed the choices and thought it pertinent to get the information back to you post haste.” Evan stood perfectly still as the Luminary circled him. He knew he was looking for holes in his story, looking for any bit of information that did not match the first time he told it. Evan also knew he’d have to tell the story to the rest of guard upon returning and if any bit of it was different he stood a chance of execution. On his way back to the camp he’d made up his story and told it several times to himself to remember it.


 


“And what direction did they head in?” The Luminary was in front of him again. Evan’s eyes fell briefly on the red shirt before he snapped his eyes up to look straight ahead.


 


“They were headed south.”


 


“You are sure?”


 


Evan nodded. He had gone the direction himself and made tracks to give the guard something to follow to prove his story. Lying was all about the details. He breathed slowly waiting for the Luminary to respond if he believed him or not, if he held his breath or if his breathing became erratic the Luminary was sure to see through his lie.


 


“Howard!” The Luminary called waving for Evan to leave. He saluted and left the tent promptly leaving Howie alone with the Luminary.


 


“Tell the guard we are heading south tomorrow. I can only hope that we catch them before they are attacked brutally like Adam.” The Luminary smiled wickedly. Howie saluted and marched out of the tent to tell the guard, he hoped they did not run into any wild animals like Evan described during their search. The attack sounded brutal even if the other man was lying.

Chapter 12 by Carter-Orange

Chapter 12



The berries not only eased the hunger pains they’d all been experiencing, but also quenched their thirsts, making walking in the hot sun a lot more bearable. It was a good thing the berries were in abundance, and the three of them had the good sense to try them after seeing the ‘puffballs’ eat them. They wouldn’t have lasted very long on the outside in the blazing sun otherwise.

Back in Endwise no one ever went hungry or thirsty, and extreme temperatures were alien to them too. Endwise had its own air conditioning system which kept the city at a comfortable temperature at all times. But as idyllic as that might sound, Endwise also killed its citizens when they reached the age of thirty, there was no freedom of speech and they were ruled by time – amongst other things. Now that they were free of all that, the three fugitives were relishing their new found freedom.

“Do you think there really are other people out here?” AJ asked as he shielded his eyes from the sun and looked in all directions. He knew the former United States of America was a huge country, but he didn’t know if he could walk the length of it surviving solely on berries.

“I’m beginning to wonder that too” Emma sighed. Had she been a fool to join the rebels so readily without any real evidence of life outside?

They’d been walking for a few days and found nothing but bones (which could’ve been human), carcasses, derelict buildings, ruins and the occasional fluffy ‘puffball’. Not to forget their run in with the Luminary’s guards, in which one of them had met his end when he’d tried to kill Nick. Nick and AJ still couldn’t believe Evan had turned out to be one of the rebels, but Emma assured them that Evan was a trusted friend who would not give their whereabouts away.

Maybe they’d made a big mistake in leaving Endwise. But then again, if they’d never left the only home they’d ever known, they would never have seen the beauty of the sun as it set in the evening or the leaves as they floated on the breeze.

“Guys…don’t be so pessimistic, look at it out here…” Nick told them as he held his arms out wide. He was feeling particularly optimistic at that moment. “Just think, we can do whatever we want, whenever we want!”

“It would be nice to find something though” AJ shrugged “to let us know that we aren’t alone out here”. He was glad to be free; if he were still in Endwise he’d be locked away and counting down to the next batch of executions. But he couldn’t help wondering if the citizens of Endwise really were the only people left in existence.

“No more alarms telling us when to wake up, when to eat, work, sleep and then do it all over again day after day” Nick grinned. He didn’t know whether they’d find anyone else, but he wasn’t going to fret over it. He was enjoying the adventure so far and looked forward to where it took him.

“I don’t miss that at all!” Emma laughed.

“What do you miss most?” AJ asked curiously. He missed a cold beer at the end of a hard day, and he wondered if he’d ever see another movie, no matter how bad some of them had been. But he also knew that if he was still there, he’d be locked away twenty four hours a day in a cold and dark cell. He shuddered at the thought. Life outside wasn’t so bad after all.

“I miss my friends” Emma admitted “and I miss my comfy bed and the little luxuries I could sometimes get when I had a few extra credits. How about you? What do you two miss?”

“I miss the games room, especially a good game of pool with a cold beer” Nick confessed “but we’ll make a better life for ourselves…I’m sure of it”

“And when we do eventually come across a pool table, it’ll be my turn to kick your ass Carter!” AJ laughed. “I miss a lot of things, but I’m not gonna dwell on it because if I was still there, I wouldn’t be enjoying any of them anyway”

They carried on walking, occasionally stopping to rest whenever they found a shaded area. They’d come to realise that the sun was at its hottest in the middle of the day right through until late afternoon. But that’s not all they realised about the sun. They soon discovered that the sun was to blame for the change in colour to their skin. AJ’s skin had darkened to a golden brown shade; Emma’s skin had also turned brown although not as dark as AJ. Nick was more of a pinkish shade, although his skin didn’t look as raw as that first day.

The road ahead became obscured with tall climbing shrubs and they soon found themselves submerged in greenery. At least it was shady and cool.

“Hey, look over there” AJ pointed excitedly “I saw something moving”

“Where?” Nick asked looking in the direction of AJ’s finger. All he saw was green.

“What was it?” Emma asked curiously. She would’ve loved to have seen a lion or a tiger like the pictures she’d seen in a book about the jungle. This was a jungle after all.

“There, I saw movement again” AJ advised. Whatever it was, it had moved too fast for him to tell what it was.

“You’re seeing things” Nick laughed. He didn’t see anything at all, other than tall plants in every direction.

They carried on battling their way through, the mysterious moving object was soon forgotten as they whacked away creeping vines with sticks they had found. It was hard going as it got pretty dense in places. So when they came to a small clearing, they stopped for a rest.

“It’ll be getting dark soon” Emma observed as she looked up into the sky.

“Well at least we’ll be sheltered from the cold in here” Nick exclaimed. It may be hot during the day, but once that sun dipped out of view, so did the temperature.

Just then, a twig snapped, causing them all to look up.

“What was that?” AJ asked, although chances were, his travelling companions would have as much idea as he had.

“Shh” Nick whispered, wanting to focus his ears on it.

“I thought I heard voices” called an unfamiliar voice, making the three friends freeze with fear. Had the Luminary’s men really found them after all this time? Couldn’t they just leave them be and forget they’d ever existed? What did it matter if there were three people less in Endwise, all they were doing was helping to deplete the surplus population!

But it wasn’t a guard.

Emma gasped when the man came into full view. He was shirtless, with beads of sweat rolling down his deeply tanned body. His dark hair was long, much longer than the rules of Endwise allowed a man to have, and he had piercing green eyes. In one hand he held a spear, and over his shoulder he carried a large sack.

The three of them looked at the man with open mouths. They’d done it! They’d found life outside. He may only be one man, but surely he wasn’t the only one out here. There must be others nearby.

“Are you from Endwise?” the man asked, taking in the once familiar clothing. He had worn red, like the dark haired man in front of him. He wondered if the man was the reason they’d left. Was he a runner, trying to escape the city’s cruel fate? He had seen many attempt it in his years there, but they never succeeded. He wondered if the rules had changed.

“Yes…how did you know?” Nick asked, wondering how a person so far away from the city could possibly know of it.

“Because I used to live there” he replied calmly.

“You did?” AJ questioned. If this guy had really lived there, then why hadn’t he seen him around? And why didn’t he come back and tell others that life was possible out of Endwise’s walls? They could all be living outside instead of never seeing the light of day.

“I escaped a long time ago. I was a red, like you” he motioned to AJ’s ripped clothing. “I was lucky, but it was a different story for my friends who were caught and executed; or at least that’s what I think became of them. But I carried on running and didn’t stop until I was sure there was no chance of them ever finding me. Never staying in one place for too long until I knew for sure the Luminary and his cronies had tired of looking”

“Are there others outside?” Emma asked, needing to know that the cause she’d believed in was true.

“Yes” he replied. “We’ve not got the technology that Endwise has, but we get by just fine without it. You’ll soon get used to it”

“You mean we can come with you?” Nick asked.

“Of course you can! You don’t think I’d leave three city folk out here in the wild with no means of survival do you?” he laughed out loud “I’m Kevin by the way…follow me, we still have a way to walk before it gets dark”

Chapter 13 by Carter-Orange

Chapter 13



Emma and Nick eagerly followed Kevin, whilst AJ trailed behind them, a little more suspicious of this man that said he’d escaped from Endwise. Maybe the Luminary had a new plot, to send a guard after them acting like he had escaped too, knowing that the three of them would follow this person wherever he led them, including right back into the Luminary’s clutches.

“How long have you been living out here?” Emma asked Kevin.

Kevin stopped and looked at them. “There will be time for questions later, right now I need to meet up with the rest of my group.”

“You mean there are more out here?” Nick asked excitedly.

AJ looked around, wary of his surroundings. He couldn’t believe that several people lived outside and they were just now running into them. He moved closer to Emma and spoke in hushed tones. “I keep feeling like this is a trap.”

Emma looked at him and shook her head. “How would the Luminary have found a man with hair that long to trap us?” She had to briefly admit that her thoughts had briefly gone the same route as AJ’s. What if he was a trap?

“Maybe the Luminary has a section of the guard for this.” AJ held Emma’s wrist and tried to get her to stop walking so quickly after this man that could be leading them to their doom.

“He would never do that, it would be admitting that people escaping from the city was a bigger problem than even he wants to acknowledge.” Emma said with finality. She made her mind up, Kevin was not going to turn them over to the Luminary, and he could be trusted. AJ sighed and continued walking, he would follow Emma. If something were going to happen he wanted to be near her to help save her at least.

“The others should be around here somewhere.” Kevin announced to the others.

“Others?” AJ asked even more suspicious. He looked over at Emma who was showing apparent concern now. He was glad that she was taking what he said to heart, it would be easier if she ran with him if they had to suddenly make a break for it.

“You should never hunt alone.” Kevin turned to them and smirked playfully at them all.

AJ grabbed Nick’s arm and pulled him away from the strange man. “We should really be heading out now.” He started to back up in the direction they had come from hoping that Nick and Emma would take note and start to follow him. He just admitted he was hunting after all.

“I don’t think you want to go that way.” Another man’s voice from behind startled them and caused them all to jump.

“Stuart, there you are. Where’s Katherine?” Kevin asked obviously elated that his reinforcements had finally arrived.

Emma took in the other man. He, like Kevin, was shirtless with sweat dripping down his chest. He also had a spear and a bag draped over his back though his bag looked to be bulging in all directions, full with something.

“She should be around here somewhere.” Stuart strained his eyes to look for the woman; he took little notice of the three others standing in front of him. When he finally did look down he huffed a little before moving closer to Kevin. “You have a way of finding strays Kevin.” Stuart laughed and patted the other man on the shoulder.

A rustling noise from behind Kevin had the entire party looking in that direction. A woman walked out pulling something heavy behind her. “If you men are done gossiping I could use some help.” Nick noticed the size of the beast that she drug along behind her. It had to be at least as heavy as her with long stick like things sticking off its head.

“Deer,” Kevin smiled as he moved to help her.

“Impossible,” Nick finally found his voice and spoke up. Emma felt herself slightly jealous as Katherine looked in Nick’s direction and flashed him a brilliant smile.

“That a woman should be able to kill this animal without the aid of these two?” She laughed at this. “I am the best hunter.”

Stuart and Kevin shook their heads as they tied the animals hooves together with a stick between them to help ease in carrying.

“Deer are on the list of extinct animals.” Nick blushed a little as he gave this information, which was obviously false.

Kevin chuckled to himself. “You will find that many things you thought were true are actually very false. It’s part of how the leaders of Endwise, the Luminary in particular, keeps control.”

“But this is a jungle isn’t it where there are tigers?” Emma asked. She thought she was in a jungle where tigers ruled supreme.

All three of the hunters laughed at Emma and she felt herself growing red in embarrassment. “You shouldn’t laugh,” AJ said defensively.

“No, no, we shouldn’t. This isn’t exactly a jungle but from the stories passed down from the elders there were a few tigers roaming the country after the world went dark. They escaped from something called zoo. It is very unlikely that you will run into a tiger out here, but if you do say a prayer to the great one because it will likely be the last thing you see.” Stuart spoke with a smile on his face the entire time.

“We should head back,” Katherine piped up; AJ noticed she was looking skyward. What was she looking at that told her it was time to move?

By now the three escapees were feeling more confident that these three hunters were not with the Luminary as they briefly thought they might be, and Nick was excited at where they were taking them. The way they spoke there was a town with, elders? How old were they? Forty? Nick couldn’t imagine someone so old.

Stuart and Kevin walked in front carrying the deer between them on the stick. Both men still carried their sacks on their backs. Katherine walked behind Emma, Nick and AJ her head constantly looking around as if she sensed something beyond the trees.

Kevin talked as they walked through the woods. “Do you know if the Luminary is still searching for you?”

Emma looked at the other two and then jogged to catch up to walk next to Kevin. Ignoring his question she had her own for him. “Were you a part of the rebellion when you fled? How long have you been on the outside? What’s it really like living out here? How many people do you live with? Can I request a meeting to speak with them all?”

Kevin took his chance while she took a breath to insert his own comments. “Once we get back to the town and get a hot meal in you and your friends there will be plenty of time for questions and answers.” He smiled at her and Emma melted back to walk with Nick and AJ.

“Was this your mission?” Nick asked.

“Finding life outside the walls was only part of it. My assignment has only just begun.” Emma watched the two men walking in front of her and prepared herself for giving the speech of a lifetime.

~*~



The tents were all set for the night and the Luminary was fuming that they still had not come across the three that had escaped. If they did not come across them soon he would have to take them all back to Endwise, there were rumors of an uprising stirring while he was away.

“Sir, the decree?” Howie was standing across from him attempting to bring him back to the present. “Will you sign?”

The Luminary scanned over the pages in front of him. He was re-examining the doctrine that only allowed the people of Endwise to have one child. The ban had been put in place only a couple of generations ago but it had taken its course and lowered the population but now, since the monthly executions were still taking place, the working population would soon be too small to sustain them. He poised the pen above the paper and signed his name to the bottom, shoving it across the table in Howie’s direction. “Get those back and advise those who remained that we will be returning within the day. The search for these three has turned up empty, they are either too far to cause harm or they have died on their own.”

The Luminary huffed but Howie looked at him with wide eyes. “You will be returning?” He pronounced the words carefully and precisely.

“Did I not just say that?” The Luminary glared Howie.

“You did, but I thought it was important to you to capture the blue and the purple, to set an example.” Howie looked nervous as he stood there and the Luminary eyed his commander suspiciously. “Give it two more days. I can go back and deliver these papers and take care of Endwise until your return. You can count on me.”

The Luminary nodded, he did want to hunt down those that escaped. Perhaps he would get out his old bow and arrow if he found them and practice some shooting instead of returning with them to Endwise.

“Yes, I will stay a couple of days.” He smirked thinking about shooting the arrow through one of the escapees. “Take half of the men back with you to help squash the stirrings that I hear whispers about.”

“Yes sir, you can count on me.” Howie clicked his feet together and bowed before leaving. Letting out a deep breath he headed towards the men’s tents to pick the men who would stay and who would go. He would have to choose carefully so the balance was not upset.

End Notes:

Thanks for reading!

Chapter 14 by Purpura Lipstick

The three travelers had so many questions to which they hoped they would soon get the answers. But the outsiders weren’t saying much as they followed them to wherever it was they lived. The two men – Kevin and Stuart –seemed perfectly capable of carrying the tied deer and their back packs with ease, and refused Nick and AJ’s offer of help. Maybe they didn’t think a couple of city boys had the strength or stamina for it, and that pissed AJ off a little.

 

“They’ll be plenty for you to do if you decide to stay” Kevin told AJ, noticing the sullen look on his face. He remembered when he’d first arrived. He’d been made to feel welcome, but also a little useless, as if he wasn’t capable of hard manual labor. Over time though, he’d earned their respect and admiration and could now be considered one of the best hunters amongst the villagers.

 

“Is it much further?” AJ asked. They’d been walking for such a long time, he felt sure his feet were ready to give up. He was ready for a sit down and something to eat.

 

“Only about another mile” Katherine grinned as AJ sighed.

 

“How many people live there?” Emma asked again, desperate for information. She wondered why they couldn’t just answer her questions as they walked. What were they hiding?

 

“You’ll see soon enough” Stuart replied as the travelers could see something in the distance.

 

Expecting to see high walls and armed guards on patrol, the three Endwise escapees were pleasantly surprised to find the complete opposite. Children who’d been playing on the outskirts of the village came to greet the hunters and also look at the three strangers they’d brought with them.

 

“Who are you?” a little boy asked curiously. It wasn’t often they had visitors, especially not wearing such strange items of clothing. 

 

“Elijah, these are our new friends Nick, AJ and Emma” Stuart told the boy, then turned to the travelers “you’ll have to excuse my nephew; he’ll probably want to know all about you”

 

“Nephew?” Nick murmured. The word wasn’t familiar to him.

 

“My sister’s boy” Stuart replied, and then realized they probably didn’t know what that was. He remembered when Kevin arrived and was just as clueless. He wondered how the people of Endwise lived with such ridiculous rules, but then guessed that they didn’t know any different. “Oh right, I don’t suppose you have family like that where you’re from?”

 

“No” Nick replied and thought back to the execution of his parents when he was only a young boy. 

 

“There’s a lot that’s going to seem unfamiliar to you” Kevin told them. He knew exactly how they felt, having been a stranger to the village a few years ago.

 

The travelers looked around in amazement as they walked through the village. People of all ages were going about their business, stopping to wave at the group of hunters with their three strays. But it wasn’t just the people of the village who had the travelers in awe; it was the buildings, the animals and everything else. They’d never seen anything like it.

 

“Is that a horse?” AJ asked, louder than he’d intended. He’d seen them in books, but had come to realize that you couldn’t believe everything you read, as they’d found out with the deer.

 

“Yes it is, have you never seen one?” Katherine laughed, causing AJ to feel a bit embarrassed.

 

“Katherine, don’t tease” Kevin warned her. He remembered the day he’d escaped Endwise, and all the oddities he’d come across once outside. It took some getting used to. “Take no notice of her AJ, she doesn’t mean any harm by it. Come on, we’d better hurry, we’ve only got a couple of hours until tonight’s celebrations, and the Mayor is going to want to meet you all too”.

 

“Mayor?” Emma asked, hoping this wasn’t just another word for Luminary. She completely missed the fact he’d mentioned some kind of celebration.

 

“Don’t worry, I know what you’re thinking…just…shrug off all thoughts of the Luminary and Endwise because this place is completely different” Kevin explained.

 

Kevin and the others led them to a large building made of stone and wood, as if it had been built on to and extended over the years. There were people coming and going and it was a real hive of activity.

 

“What is this place?” Emma asked as she observed people entering carrying armfuls of stuff.

 

“This is the marketplace” Katherine replied “it’s where we do all our trading and where we’re gonna trade that deer I caught earlier”

 

“Really, how interesting, what will you trade for?” Emma asked, eager to get in there and see for herself.

 

“I don’t know yet, it depends what’s on offer, and as the three of us hunted together we’ll each get things we need” Katherine replied.

 

Emma wondered if Katherine was related to or married to either Kevin or Stuart, not that it mattered to her, but she was just curious.

 

The inside of the marketplace was much larger than it appeared on the outside, and the aromas wafting around the place were mouth-watering for the three fugitives who’d lived on nothing but ration bars and berries for the last few days. Nick lifted his nose into the air, sniffing appreciatively and wondering what smelled so good.

 

“It smells good doesn’t it” Kevin agreed “Ginny’s traditional recipe stew, passed down from generation to generation to…ah, you get the picture! And it tastes as good as it smells”

 

“Mmm” Nick almost drooled, but then realized he had nothing to barter with. His expression soon changed.

 

“Don’t worry, we’re not about to let you all starve. It doesn’t work that way here. Even though we trade for food, clothes, household items and whatever else we need…we also wouldn’t let anyone go without. We all make sure that those too old or unable to work are looked after” Kevin explained. “Like when I first got here. Everyone was so hospitable and I had no shortage of offers of places to stay.”

 

“Make sure you save us some of that Ginny!” Katherine called out to the older woman who was doling out her stew from a huge black pot.

 

“Will do” Ginny called back and winked at the new arrivals.

 

The travelers had never seen anyone as old as Ginny; she had to be at least forty and even had a streak of white in her otherwise dark hair. Back in Endwise, no one ever lived to be that old.

 

After walking away from Ginny’s stall, they moved through the throngs of people, taking in everything else. There was a small crowd gathered around another stall, a sweet smell emanating from it.

 

“Deanna’s cakes are the best, isn’t that right Kevin?” Katherine looked to the tall dark haired man for his agreement.

 

“You won’t have tasted anything like it back in Endwise, that’s for sure”Kevin nodded in agreement. “But we’d better hurry and do our business. The marketplace will be closing soon and we have to get ready for tonight”.

 

“What’s tonight?” AJ asked. Everyone seemed so friendly, but was that just a cover? Were they really going to execute them for entertainment, or something else as sinister?

 

“There’s a wedding being held tonight” Kevin replied “it’s tradition here that they take place at dusk and carry on until the early hours. Everyone is welcome to attend, if they want to, and there will be music, dancing, eating and drinking for all.”

 

Back in Endwise, marriage ceremonies were carried out by the Luminary and were just a few minutes long. There was no fuss and no celebration afterwords; just a piece of paper and your new allotted living quarters. The travelers liked the sound of this new kind of wedding ceremony.

 

“And naturally you’re all welcome to come along and join the festivities” Stuart told the travelers and walked away to continue with his business.

 

After finishing up their trading in the marketplace, Kevin asked if the three escapees would like to go back to his home to get cleaned up and have something to eat. Having nowhere else to go, they all followed him to his wooden house not far from the village center. The house wasn’t very big, but had a flower garden in the front and looked really pretty from the outside.

 

“Please, come in” Kevin turned and told them before walking in “my wife should have something for you to wear Emma, and I’m sure we’re about the same size Nick. As for you AJ, we can ask Gerard from next door, he’s about your height. That’s if you’d like to come along tonight? Or would you prefer to get some rest? You’ve had a busy few days after all…”

 

“No, we’re going” Emma replied for all of them. They weren’t that tired that they were willing to miss a chance to get to know all about these people and their way of life. Sleep could come later.

 

“Good, I was hoping you’d say that. Now let me introduce you to Kristen” Kevin announced as a pretty blonde woman appeared by his side. “Kristen, meet Emma, Nick and AJ; they’ve escaped from Endwise and will be our guests until other arrangements can be made”

 

“You poor things” she shook her head “come on, let’s get you fed and out of those ripped clothes”. She remembered when Kevin first entered the village seven years ago. She’d been attracted to him at once, as had a lot of single woman. But she’d been shocked and horrified to hear his tales of Endwise and couldn’t believe people lived that way.

 

After some of Ginny’s delicious stew which Kevin had acquired at the marketplace, a wash in the weird contraption that passed for a shower and a change of clothes, the three friends from Endwise felt rejuvenated and ready to meet the other villagers in that evening’s celebrations.

 

The sky was a dark blue color with little traces of purple in the distance, with millions of stars twinkling high above. It was a perfect evening for being outside. Nick, AJ and Emma joined Kevin and Kristen as they walked back into the village center where the celebrations were to take place. Kristen had made a couple of apple pies to take and as they walked, they saw other people carrying various food or drink items.

 

“This is what we do when we’re having a big get together like this; everyone brings something and places it on the tables which will be set up. Then we all help ourselves. There’s always more than enough to go around”Kevin told them as he took in the looks of awe on their faces. He knew Endwise had nothing of the sort to compare it with. The monthly executions- although bringing the whole city together at once - were not exactly a joyous social event. 

 

Under an archway decorated with flowers and twinkling candles, the happy couple were married by a man they all guessed to be the Mayor. He was so old, his hair was completely white and deep wrinkles etched his face. To the three city folk, he was a real curiosity. 

 

“I wonder if those cracks in his face hurt?” Emma mused, wanting to touch his face and feel for herself.

 

“That must be what it is to be old” Nick shuddered at the thought of looking so withered.

 

“I don’t want to ever look that way!” AJ added. But after a few moments thought, he realized that this man had obviously had a long and happy life…something that wasn’t possible in Endwise.

 

The ceremony itself wasn’t very long, just an exchange of words and a blessing by the Mayor before cheers and clapping erupted from the crowd and the celebrations began. Nick, AJ and Emma were soon approached by people of all ages, all wanting to welcome them to their village. Even AJ, who had been the most suspicious of the group, soon dropped his guard and accepted that nothing malicious was going to happen here.

 

“So, you three must be the people I’ve been hearing about all evening”came a voice in the small crowd which had gathered around them. The crowd parted to allow the Mayor through. “I’m Patrick, the Mayor of New Oak Falls, welcome to our village”

 

The Mayor assured them that New Oak Falls would be their home for as long as they wanted it to be and that a more permanent place to live would be arranged the following day. He then told them to enjoy the party.

 

It was now completely dark, with only candle light and a huge bonfire providing illumination. The smell of food filled the air and made the travelers hungry once more. An animal they learned was a pig was being roasted over another open fire and it smelled delicious. Tables brimming with food were set up around the village square and people were gathered around with plates piled high and drinks in their hands. Emma, Nick and AJ were no exception.

 

“This is really something isn’t it?” AJ grinned as he chugged down an apple flavored drink and reached for another.

 

“Makes me wonder why we couldn’t have lived like this before. What made the Luminary lie to us for all of our lives?” Nick questioned.

 

“Power” Emma replied “and greed”

 

“Well enough talk of that asshole, wanna dance?” AJ asked Emma as couples began to dance to the music which was being played by a group of musicians.

 

“I would love to” she replied and put her plate and drink down and took his out-stretched arm. All of her questions could wait for tomorrow, for tonight was a night to enjoy.

 

They danced to the rhythm of the music and AJ liked the feel of Emma close to him. But it didn’t last long. Nick asked if he could cut in and Emma happily agreed, not even giving AJ a chance to protest. He stood off to the side, watching as his best friend danced with the girl he was beginning to fall for. He didn’t like it…not one bit, but he wasn’t alone for long. A tall, dark haired beauty engaged him in conversation and he soon put thoughts of Emma out of his mind.

 

Chapter 15 by Purpura Lipstick

Nick rose early, or at least what he thought was early. He heard sounds outside the house and sat up looking out the window. He loved windows he decided. You could sit inside and still watch the outdoors, the sunshine, the animals and the other people milling about starting their day. Endwise had glass partitions but they were not really windows and what he saw beyond the partitions could never compare to what he saw outside this window.


 


He noticed that Emma and AJ were both still asleep. Kevin and Kristen had been kind enough to shelter them for the night. After sleeping on the ground for several nights, the three eagerly accepted the offer. It was still on the ground but all three fell asleep easier with a roof over their head and blankets covering them.


 


“I still haven’t gotten used to that sight,” Nick heard Kevin speak from the doorway. “Seven years and I still love watching people start their day through the windows, or sitting just outside.”


 


Kevin had made his way to the younger man and clasped his hand on his shoulder. “You’ve been gone seven years?” Nick asked. He tried to think what that would have been for him? Would he have been a purple then, or a blue, or maybe he would still have been a green?


 


Kevin noticed the confused look on the blonds face and provided the answer, “You were likely a blue when I left.” He guided the younger man out of the room since the other two were still sleeping.


 


Nick shook his head. If he was a blue when this man got away, why hadn’t he heard about it? He tried to think back to his time as a blue but he was young and felt he had so much time. He hardly paid attention to anything that was going on around him, except his job and the pretty girls flirting with him. He always felt the blues, greens and purples got most of the credits to enable them to forget what will happen when they turn red.


 


He must have been lost in thought as Nick didn’t notice that he was now sitting around a table with a plate of food in front of him.


 


Kevin was smiling at him when he finally snapped out of it and looked around. “I had Kristen make something a little more familiar to you all this morning. I remember how ill my stomach felt after a few days here.”


 


Nick looked down to see a traditional breakfast for Endwise, a bowl of oatmeal and fruit. Nick took a big spoonful of his oatmeal and with his mouth full asked, “Why?”


 


As if on cue, AJ walked out of the other room groaning and holding his stomach. “I don’t feel good. What was in that food last night? Are you poisoning us?”


 


Nick chuckled and continued to eat his breakfast. AJ sat down next to him and pushed the bowl away, cradling the glass of orange juice in front of him.


 


“You just ate meat for the first time.” Kevin patted AJ on the back and handed him a cup of with a different liquid in it. “This will help settle your stomach.”


 


AJ looked at the cup suspiciously before tossing his head back and drinking the liquid. He put the cup down and dropped his head on the table. AJ continued to groan about his stomach, the sounds muffled somewhat by the table. Kevin put some bread on the table, looking up to see Emma enter the room.


 


“How are you feeling?” Kevin asked her.


 


“I feel a little queasy but not as bad as him apparently,” She nodded in AJ’s direction.


 


“He probably doesn’t even feel that bad. He’s always gone overboard with his bellyaching when he’s not feeling good.” Nick laughed and grabbed a piece of bread; he wasn’t feeling any of the effects of breaking out of a vegetarian diet and eating real meat for the first time. AJ groaned at Nick loudly for his comments.


 


“Try to eat something; there is a lot to do today.” Kevin smiled. He knew he would no longer be able to avoid their questions about himself any longer. He watched them eat in relative silence. Emma and AJ managed to eat some bread and drink some juice, the blond, Nick devoured his oatmeal some bread and AJ’s oatmeal.


 


“What are we doing?” Nick asked eagerly. He had relaxed last night immensely, he felt even more at ease as he danced with Emma. He looked over at her briefly, she smiled at him before both looked back at Kevin awaiting his answer.


 


“Today, questions will be answered and we will discuss with the Mayor where you might be useful.”


 


“Does he assign everyone their job?” Nick asked. The Luminary had placed him in his past job where he’d met AJ. He didn’t particularly care for it, but it passed the hours.


 


Kevin shook his head. “I have forgotten how much is different here than at Endwise. The Mayor knows where the town is missing some help. Most people here do what they are good at or enjoy.”


 


“Can I hunt like you?” Nick asked like an eager little boy.


 


Kevin smiled and took the empty plates away. “There will be plenty of time to find out where you will fit later; right now I’m sure there are other things you want to know.”


 


Emma sat up a little straighter fighting the ill feeling in her stomach. This was her cue from Kevin; she was going to get her answers. She had so many questions she didn’t know where to start. Before she could formulate her first question Nick spoke up.


 


“How did you escape and live?”


 


AJ sat up with this question curious as to how the older man would answer. If they were pursued by the Luminary why wasn’t this man? And if he was, how did he escape the guard?


 


“I probably escaped much like you did. There are rebels within the guard that aided with the escape of several rebels and me. “


 


“So you are a rebel?” Emma interrupted.


 


Kevin paused and eventually shook his head. “I wouldn’t say I am a rebel but many have died in my name.”


 


Nick and AJ looked at each other confused. Both men turned to look at Emma who looked just as confused until realization hit and her face beamed. “You are that Kevin.” She squealed out, then immediately felt embarrassed she had acted that way.


 


“That Kevin?” Nick asked.


 


Emma nodded, “He was almost the Luminary.”


 


AJ and Nick both turned to look at this man who had been so nice to them, who had taken them in. What game was he playing at? If he was almost the Luminary why wasn’t he the Luminary and why was he so different than the actual Luminary.


 


“Everyone thought you were dead.” Emma announced.


 


“It’s what the Luminary would have wanted you to believe. He knew there were rebels still inside the walls of Endwise; do you think he would have as much control if they knew that another man with an almost equal claim to the rule of Endwise existed? Many people died to make sure I got out alive.”


 


“Why didn’t you come back? Let everyone know you were alive, fight?” Emma demanded.


 


“Wait, I’m confused.” AJ held up his hand interrupting. “I don’t understand why the rebels would have wanted him for Luminary, I don’t understand how he has a claim, isn’t the Luminary a blood position, inherited?”


 


Kevin nodded. “It is.”


 


“But the Luminary was the only son, the law says only one child can be born between a couple.” Nick chimed in.


 


“With his wife he did only have the one son. But he lived outside the laws; he had a mistress, my mother.” Kevin announced waiting for the implications of what he had said to sink in with the other two men.


 


“So you are saying the Luminary’s father had two children, the Luminary and you?” AJ pieced it together but he couldn’t believe it. Wouldn’t he have heard about two children having the same parent, such an occurrence was very rare within the confines of Endwise.


 


Kevin nodded. “There is a lot that happens in the Luminary’s world that the people are kept from. I saw many things that others did not. When he died, the son of his marriage was naturally the next in line to become Luminary, but many people did not want him to take his father’s place since he was so much like his father. The rebels fought behind my name to put me in his seat. They thought I would rule differently, that I would take down the barrier from Endwise to the rest of the world, that I would allow more freedoms.”


 


“What made them think that thought? You grew up in the Luminary’s household, what made them think you were not just as corrupt?”


 


Kevin shifted in his chair. “I had spoken out against my father and half-brother and the laws of Endwise. I believed life was possible outside the walls, or at least we should be given a chance to find out if it was. The video they show at all monthly executions, that is footage from only a few short years after the initial destruction.”


 


“So they rallied behind you, died for you and you fled never to return to let people know that life is possible, that they could fight to get out and live outside the walls.” Emma stood, angry at Kevin. How could he let so many people live in ignorance, let them continue to die to keep population levels down when there was room to grow outside the walls.


 


“I never wanted to be Luminary!” Kevin rounded on her. He held up his finger and took a couple of deep breaths before speaking again. He felt like a coward when he had escaped. He managed to live while hundreds of others had died in the years he’d been gone. Would he have been able to make a difference if he had been Luminary, or would he have killed everyone with his theories? “I never asked for any of it.”


 


“But you can change things now. You know life outside is possible, come back with us …” Emma started.


 


“No, I can’t go back.” Kevin stood, feeling ashamed. “My home is here, my wife is pregnant, and I won’t leave her. The Luminary would have me killed if I returned; I can’t abandon my wife, my child and my home.” He turned to leave but before he could leave the room the front door was slammed open.


 


“Kevin, get Kristen, Mary is having difficulties with the birth.” Kevin’s eyes widened and he rushed out returning with Kristen leaving with the stranger and leaving the three wondering what was going on now.

Chapter 16 by Carter-Orange
Chapter 16


“They’ve been gone for ages” Emma stated the obvious as she paced the room once more. She wanted to carry on the discussion they’d been having before Kevin and Kristen had been called out for an emergency. She was still furious with him for leaving Endwise without a care for the people, for not finding a way to go back and spread the word that life was possible on the outside. Was he that much of a coward? With enough men behind him to back up his story, Emma felt sure the people of Endwise would be forced to listen…if they could just get back in somehow and get through the Luminary’s guards.

“Should we go and find the Mayor?” Nick asked, hating that they were just sitting there waiting.

“That might be a good idea” AJ agreed. None of them were used to sitting around and doing nothing.

They left Kevin’s home and looked around to get their bearings, but before they had a chance to go any further, they spotted Kevin walking back towards his home, his head hung low.

“Is everything alright?” Emma asked. She was ready to carry on where they’d left off.

“No…no, it isn’t” he replied, looking up, his face solemn. “Kristen is still there, but it doesn’t look good…for either of them”

Confusion swept across the faces of the newcomers. Back in Endwise, child birth was something which was usually over in a couple of hours, with little fuss too; or at least that’s the way it was portrayed to citizens. But here, in New Oak Falls, there didn’t seem to be the technology or expertise which had been so readily accessible in Endwise. That was one of the good points Endwise had going for it, the medical center provided excellent care for all citizens.

Kevin noticed the confused looks on their faces and sighed. Of course they wouldn’t know what he was talking about, nothing like this ever happened in Endwise, they had the facilities to ensure that their pregnant women were properly monitored. And if anything did go wrong – which Kevin felt sure must happen once in a while - they had the ways and means to silence people. Kevin shuddered at the thought of Endwise. Leaving that place had been the best thing he’d ever done. He wouldn’t be alive now if he hadn’t.

Realising that he hadn’t given them an explanation, Kevin cleared his throat and began. “When we got there, it was clear that the baby was in distress and turned the wrong way. Kristen tried to move the baby to the correct position, but it didn’t seem to be working as planned and was taking too long. I know you don’t have a clue what I’m talking about, and believe me, you’re better off not knowing. Anyway, the baby was starved of oxygen for a little while during the birth and we don’t know how that’s going to affect him. Mary lost a lot of blood and is having a transfusion right now, but Kristen isn’t very hopeful she’ll make a full recovery”

“I didn’t understand much of what you just said, but it sounds horrendous!” AJ exclaimed. A world where women died having a child seemed barbaric.

“It was” Kevin replied.

“Don’t you have proper medical equipment here?” Emma asked, but she’d seen for herself how basic and simple life was here. They didn’t have the kind of facilities which Endwise had.

“We have a medical center…but it isn’t anywhere near as advanced as the one in Endwise. But usually women give birth in their own homes, and there are a few women in the village who are experienced in delivering babies; Kristen being one of them” Kevin explained. “It’s not very often that things go wrong, but when we do have an emergency, we aren’t very well equipped to handle it”

Kevin thought about his own wife, Kristen, who was approximately five months pregnant with their first child. When they’d married five years ago, they’d talked of a large family, but with every passing month in which she failed to get pregnant, they had begun to lose hope. Then out of the blue, when they’d finally acknowledged the fact that they’d probably never be parents, a miracle happened. Kevin no longer wished for a large family. He just hoped that Kristen and the baby she was carrying would be safe.

Feeling that it was an inappropriate time to question Kevin about why he never returned to Endwise, Emma decided it could keep for another time.

~*~


Much later on in the day, Kristen finally came home. She was exhausted and her face was tear stained and puffy.

“Kristen?” Kevin pulled her close and wrapped his arms around her.

“Mary…” she sobbed “Mary’s dead”

Kevin consoled his wife, tears also welling up in his own eyes. The village was quite a close-knit community and even though it was home to hundreds of people, everyone knew each other. Mary’s death would be a terrible shock for everyone.

“What happened?” Emma asked curiously. She didn’t understand how a person could just die. It didn’t happen in Endwise. You died when it was your time, when your timer began to flash, and not before (unless you broke one of the laws and were dealt the death penalty).

“We couldn’t stop the bleeding. She was bleeding out faster than we could get new blood into her. There wasn’t a thing we could do to save her, it was just so awful” Kristen buried her face in her husband’s chest and sobbed.

Nick, AJ and Emma couldn’t quite believe what they were hearing. Outside didn’t seem quite as idyllic as it had seemed yesterday.
Chapter 17 by Carter-Orange

Chapter 17



“Kevin,” Emma hated to insist on talking to him at that moment, she could see he had things on his mind but she needed more answers. She followed him back into his house, leaving AJ and Nick outside.

Kevin turned to face the young woman standing before him. He knew she wanted more explanation as to why he didn’t return. Why did he let so many people who had believed in him, continue believing he was dead and not knowing life on the outside was possible? He rubbed his eyes and took a seat.

“I know you think I’m a coward for not returning, but I valued my life as much as any other person. Returning would be a death sentence.” Kevin hoped she would understand but he doubted she would. She, like many other rebels would if they found out that he lived, felt betrayed.

“How did you convince the Luminary that you were dead? How did you make it further than any other person who has tried to escape?” Emma sat down and kept her voice calm. She knew that if she let the anger she felt towards Kevin creep to the surface she would explode and she would get no answers from him.

Kevin sighed and looked down at his hands. “Br…The Luminary let me live.”

“I don’t understand; if you were a threat…”

“After I escaped he found me here and we made a deal. We were raised as brothers after all. He would let me live in peace outside the city, here, with these people, if I promised I would never return and that I would never raise a rebellion against him. He threatened that he would destroy me and this entire village if I ever tried.”

“So it’s more than your own death you would be causing?”

Kevin nodded. “The Luminary promised to hunt down anyone who left Endwise in search of life outside. He couldn’t risk them finding me…” Kevin thought of the people who had died trying to find a better life. All those wasted lives because of his deal that allowed him to live; he couldn’t help but tear up.

Emma stood and moved closer to Kevin, wrapping her arms around his shoulder she hugged the older man. “I understand your decision and the choice you had to make.”

“Emma,” Nick and AJ came into the room and noticed that Emma quickly dropped her arms from around Kevin. Both men felt a twinge of jealousy.

“Hey guys. I’ve talked to Kevin; he’s made me understand his decision.” She decided to leave out the details of what she was told. If Kevin wanted Nick and AJ to know, he would tell them in his own time.

“Oh look at the time,” Kevin interrupted and stood, grabbing a few items and heading towards the door. “The mayor will be wondering where we are.” He smiled at the other three and held the door as he waited for them to exit before leading them to the Mayor’s house.

“Is that the Mayor’s house?” Nick asked pointing to the largest building he could see.

Kevin chuckled and shook his head. “No, that is the lumber mill. The woodcutter’s son is also a skilled furniture maker and has even done a few decorative sculptures with the wood that he helps his father bring in. They use that building to cut the wood and make the furniture. Nobody actually lives there.”

“Are jobs here passed down from father to son then?” Emma asked.

“There are many sons that end up doing what their fathers did because they helped their fathers growing up and learned the skill. With the skills they acquire they can easily take the spot, but it doesn’t always happen. The woodcutter’s first and third sons work with him, his daughter has a great knowledge of plants and what they can be used for and his second son, well after years of searching, he has found he likes to watch the sheep.”

“That sounds boring,” Nick and Emma agreed.

“It seems to give him joy. He is doing a service but it also gives him time to paint and since he watches the sheep he earns his linen for the canvases.” Kevin added. “There are enough people willing to trade him for a painting that he could stop watching the sheep and only work on his paintings but he enjoys the peacefulness of watching the sheep.”

The three former citizens of Endwise knew that paintings were a form of picture. There were very few pictures outside of books that could be purchased in Endwise and those they could were too many credits for most people to use on something like that. Nothing new was created since using paper in that manner was considered a waste.

“People trade for that?” Emma asked incredulously though all three were thinking it.

“They do,” Kevin never really thought about why anyone wouldn’t want one in their home, but then again, he had grown up one of the elite in Endwise and had many luxuries that many others did not. “We’re here,” Kevin motioned to the Mayor’s house.

“This is the Mayor’s house?” AJ was stunned that the leader of the town did not live in a large mansion but a simple home not much bigger than the rest of the houses around town.

“It seems he’s not here,” Kevin noted the painted wood sign that simply said ‘out’. “It’s likely he’s with Mary’s family, I should have known.” Kevin shook his head and turned to walk back in the direction they had come from.

“Would you like a tour of the town?” Kevin asked. He could show him the different areas and expose them to all the different kinds of jobs that the town needed to be done in order to survive. He had already decided that tomorrow he would take them with him hunting if they cared to join him.

*~*



Emma washed her face and prepared herself for bed. The walk around town had been uneventful and frankly she had stopped paying attention part way through. Her thoughts were on the people of Endwise. Kevin may have chosen to stay and keep the town safe, to keep himself safe, but Emma needed to go back. She couldn’t let all of those people keep thinking that Endwise was the only way of life and that they had to follow the Luminary’s rule in order to survive in the post-apocalyptic world.

“Emma,” Nick’s whisper interrupted her thoughts.

“Nick,” She replied as she turned to face him.

“I just wanted to come and thank you for taking me and AJ with you.” He smiled at her. She wanted to smack the smile off of his face; it was his smile that she had first noticed. The thought of him remaining behind the walls was too much to bear so she had asked him along. Her heart jumped into her chest as he approached her and wrapped his arms around her pulling her closer.

They stood holding each other for a few moments before pulling away. “I’m glad you will have a chance at life here.”

“What do you mean ‘you’?” Nick caught the words quickly. He didn’t like the tone in her voice at all.

“I can’t stay.” She whispered and turned away. “I can’t be like Kevin. I can’t ignore the masses that are still suffering under the Luminary’s control. If we don’t stop him now then who knows how many more generations will be forced to die when they start blinking red.”

Nick put his hand on Emma’s shoulder and squeezed it lightly. “Emma,”

“Nick, don’t.” She wiped the tears from her eyes. She knew she had to do what her mind had decided but her heart was practically begging her to stay with Nick.

Nick turned Emma to face him and cupped her face in his hands using his thumbs to wipe the tears that were falling from her eyes.

“Emma, I can’t let you go back. It’s a death sentence. The minute they see you returning they will lock you away and kill you and nobody will know that you made it out, nobody will know that life outside the walls is possible.”

“But staying here and doing nothing is a coward’s way.” Emma protested and tried to push Nick away but he stood fast.

“No. We will find a way to get word to the others together. We will find a way to break the walls of Endwise. Stay with me…” His face was now close enough to hers that she could feel his breath as he asked her to stay with him.

Emma moved her head up to meet his, her heart beating frantically as their lips brushed together.

The door creaked behind them and they moved apart quickly, Emma wiping her eyes and Nick pretending to straighten his shirt. When they didn’t see anyone at the door Emma smiled at Nick. “I will stay.” She said as she moved closer and wrapped her arms around him.

They stood together for another few minutes. By the time they left, the figure in the hallway had gathered himself and made his way to the room where his bed was located.

Chapter 18 by Purpura Lipstick

AJ laid down on his bed, seething with jealousy after witnessing Nick and Emma kissing, however briefly it had been. He wanted to be the man to kiss her soft lips. He imagined Emma in his arms, whispering words of love to one another as they kissed passionately. He pictured her looking at him adoringly, and he would make her feel like she was the only girl in the world. She was the one girl he felt could really be ‘the one’ for him and she only had eyes for Nick. Typical. AJ had never been lucky in love, hence the reason at the age of thirty he was still single.

“AJ, you awake?” Nick whispered as he crept into the room they were sharing in Kevin’s home. He wanted to talk to his friend, to tell him of Emma’s thoughts on Endwise. When AJ didn’t reply, Nick assumed he was already asleep, so he stripped down to his underwear as quietly as possible so as not to disturb his friend, and climbed into bed. It had been a long and tiring day, especially when he thought Emma was actually going to leave them and return to Endwise. He was relieved when she’d been persuaded to stay. Returning there alone was a suicide mission and he would’ve done whatever it took to keep her from doing something so foolish. Luckily, all it took was a kiss. He smiled at the memory of her lips against his and hoped there would be more of that to come. He closed his eyes and let sleep consume him, images of Emma flitting through his mind as he drifted off into a deep sleep.

AJ couldn’t sleep though. He was too pissed off to relax enough for sleeping. When he was sure that Nick was asleep, he sat up a little, propping himself up against his pillow as he watched Nick sleep. How he wished he could knock that serene look off his face! They may have been friends for as long as he could remember, but AJ couldn’t help the way he felt where Emma was concerned. He wanted her so much.

After brooding about the two of them for half the night, AJ eventually drifted off to sleep.

The following morning AJ woke in a much better mood. He wasn’t sure why he’d been so mad at his friend the night before. It wasn’t as if Nick knew how he felt about Emma, and it wasn’t as if the pair of them were anything more than friends. So they’d brushed lips, big deal!

“Morning”Kevin greeted the pair of them as they joined him, Kristen and Emma for breakfast. “Dig in and eat well, for today we are going hunting!” Kevin grinned enthusiastically. He loved hunting and the challenges it brought with it. You never knew what you were going to come up against once you were out there.

“Cool”AJ said between mouthfuls of breakfast.

“Really?”Nick replied excitedly. He’d never been hunting, but had read books about adventurers who’d travelled far and wide; he figured it would be the same kind of thing.

“Awesome”said Emma, keen to do something useful for the village which had taken them in. She didn’t like the idea of living off of others and knew that Nick and AJ would feel the same. Where they were from you were expected to work from a young age to contribute to society, even the older children did their bit after their school day.

They finished breakfast, which consisted of more than just oatmeal, and readied themselves for a hunting trip. Kevin made sure that bottles of water and packages of food were packed into their bags before setting off. Hunting was likely to be an all day event and they would need to keep their strength up and not get dehydrated.

“Stay safe” Kristen warned as she kissed her husband goodbye.

“As always” Kevin kissed her back and slung his bag over his back. “Let’s go!”

“What about weapons?” Emma asked, realizing that they were not very well equipped for hunting.

“We’re going to get them over here” Kevin replied, pointing towards another building. “We keep a huge stock of weapons here rather than have them in our homes. It makes more sense to have a central supply and just keep the basics at home, like this” he pulled out a jagged edged dagger which he kept sheathed in a holder on his thigh.

“Impressive”Nick admired the weapon as it glinted in the sunlight.

“Made it myself too!” Kevin grinned.

“I thought you were a hunter?” AJ asked. From what he understood of the village, every person had their own jobs to do.

“I am, but it doesn’t hurt to learn another trade or two…we’re not that strict here. If there is something you’d like to learn, then you are more than welcome to learn it. We’re nothing like Endwise my friends!” Kevin reassured them. He shuddered at the thought of Endwise. He hadn’t given that place a second thought when he’d found his new home, not wanted to remember those days where freedom was a dirty word.

The stone building where the tools and weapons were kept was run by a short, round sort of man by the name of Ian. He greeted Kevin warmly and they exchanged a few words before the newcomers were properly introduced.

“I understand Kevin’s taking you hunting” he stated as he watched them select their weapons. “Watch out for those bears!”

“Bears?”Nick questioned. He’d heard of them of course, but had never seen one, nor would he really know what one looked like.

“Don’t worry Nick, there aren’t any bears around here” Kevin placed his hand on Nick’s shoulder for reassurance, thinking Nick was worried at the prospect of coming face to face with a big grizzly. Kevin had never seen one in all the time he’d been there, but he’d heard the stories which had been told. He knew that in the past bears had roamed not too far away.

“He wasn’t worried; he didn’t know what one was!” AJ laughed.

“I did”Nick defended himself, but he was laughing too.

They selected their weapons carefully. Nick chose a crossbow and a dagger which he fastened to his thigh in the same way Kevin’s was.

“You know how to use that?” Ian asked as he watched Nick fumble with the weapon.

“How hard can it be!” Nick stated.

“Hmm, I think you might be better off with a spear for now…unless Kevin here is going to train you first?” Ian looked to Kevin.

“We’ll be alright with the crossbow” Kevin told him. “I’ll make sure he doesn’t shoot himself in the foot or anything like that”.

AJ picked out an axe and a smaller knife, whilst Emma decided on the spear and a sling shot.

“Good choice” Kevin smiled at her and grabbed his own spear. “We’ve just got to wait for the others and we can go”.

~*~

“Sir, we’ve drawn a blank in all directions, they’re either long gone by now or lying dead somewhere. It’s my opinion that we should turn back to Endwise and not waste any more time out here” one of the more senior guards explained to the Luminary boldly. The men were getting fed up of living on measly ration bars and were keen to get back to their opulent way of life in the city.

“Yes, I’m inclined to agree with you” the Luminary nodded his head as he paced up and down. But he had a nagging feeling that they were missing something, that they were close to finding the fugitives. But with all possible avenues explored, what else could they do?

“Shall I tell the men to prepare to go home?”

“Yes, you do that” the Luminary told him and stopped pacing.

When he was left alone once more, the Luminary began thinking once more. Then it hit him. What if they’d found Kevin? He couldn’t let that happen.

“On second thoughts, forget going home” he commanded. “We’re going to find Kevin”.

Chapter 19 by Carter-Orange
Chapter 19



Kevin signaled for the other three to crouch low. They had gone over the basics of hunting briefly as they trudged into the woods that morning, but Kevin was a proponent of learning through trying. He didn’t expect any of them to actually make a kill that day, hell; he didn’t even expect all of them to attempt to make a kill that day. Taking an animal’s life was not something everyone was cut out to do.

They were watching a herd of deer. Kevin wanted them to watch their movements, to learn the animals first. They sat low in the brush watching. They had made sure they were standing downwind from the animals and each had spread some dirt over them to help mask their natural smells. Nick didn’t seem to mind the mud, Emma hesitated only slightly before she applied it as well. AJ reluctantly spread it over him; he wanted to be with Emma and Nick. He wanted to prove that he could provide for Emma so when he confessed his feelings she would know what a good man he was.

AJ’s knees were starting to ache from the exhaustion of keeping hidden. They had been watching the animals for what seemed like forever. Lunch was hours ago but he could feel his stomach already start to growl in hunger. He really wished they could actually hunt instead of continually watching. His knees hurt so bad he could no longer take it; he fell backwards onto his ass making a noise loud enough that several animals perked their heads in the hunting party’s general direction.

The deer were obviously spooked and it didn’t take long for them to start moving off in the opposite direction of the hunters. Kevin turned to the group and smiled. “I have spent days in these woods watching and waiting for deer to make an appearance. Getting to view such a large group at the close range we were at was a hunter’s rare delight.”

“Why didn’t you kill one?” Nick asked.

“I am here to teach you to hunt not to make a kill myself.”

“Do you make a kill every day?” Emma wanted to know how many of those beautiful creatures Kevin had killed.

“No, some days you don’t find any animals. Other days you just are unlucky and are unable to make a kill. Shooting an animal or spearing one are not the only ways that we hunt.”

All three looked at the man confused. Hunters used weapons and killed animals, how else was there to hunt. Seeing their confusion Kevin stood holding his hand out to Emma to help her up.

“I’ll show you what I mean.”

They walked in silence, Nick and Emma walked next to each other. They walked close enough that their hands bumped into each other every so often. Emma’s skin tingled each time Nick’s hand brushed her own. She turned and smiled at him.

Nick looked down at Emma and smiled. How he wished he could reach down and take hold of Emma’s hand. The slight touch of her hand was driving him crazy, he wanted to wrap her hand in his and hold it tightly as they walked.

AJ walked a few feet behind everyone, he was tired and hot and sick of carrying his weapons. He wished he could drop them to make his load lighter but he wanted to prove to Emma that he could do this. “Emma,” AJ called out to her and she slowed to walk with him.

“What’s up?”

“Do you really think you are cut out for this?”

“Honestly,” She whispered, “no. I am not sure I could kill one of those animals.”

“Let’s go back?”

“I don’t want to be rude to Kevin. But you go ahead; we’ll see you back at town.” Emma squeezed his hand before jogging to catch up with Nick who had moved closer to Kevin.

AJ stopped walking and watched the other three continue through the woods. He turned and looked around him. He had no idea where he was going and hadn’t really been paying attention as they walked. He sighed and started following the others again, hopefully they would be done soon.

“Here,” Kevin stopped and pointed to an animal hanging in the low branches of a tree. Nick and Emma gasped in surprise. A brown fuzzball was hanging lifeless. “We use a snare and set it on the ground so when the animal triggers it, the noose snaps around the neck of the animal and pulls them up into the trees. If done correctly, the animal is killed instantly and animals that feed off of dead animals can’t reach them in the trees.” Kevin smiled pleased that one of his snares had managed to capture something so he could show the three.

“What are you looking at?” AJ asked as he finally caught up to the rest of the group. Nick pointed to the animal hanging in the trees. AJ looked in the direction Nick was pointing and cringed. He was definitely not cut out to be a hunter.

“Let’s get him and then we will check the rest of the snares.” Kevin walked over to the animal and removed the snare from around his neck. They watched as he reset the snare and carried the animal over to them. The group continued on checking the rest of the snares, they had a few more animals trapped. Kevin showed both Nick and Emma how to set the snare, AJ politely declined.

When they had finished the sun was starting to get low in the sky. “Home now,” Kevin finished filling his sack and turned back in the direction of the town. “Kristen should have something hot for us.” AJ thought he had read his mind; his stomach pains were now unbearable. It was like the first few days he was in the woods after escaping Endwise, except this time he knew they could get a warm meal so his stomach growled louder.

None of the three were really thrilled with hunting. AJ couldn’t stand the long hours crouching in bushes wearing mud. Nick had a hard time focusing on watching for animals, he continually watched Emma instead of watching for animals. Even if she wasn’t around he knew that he wouldn’t be much of a hunter. After seeing the animals, Emma knew she would be unable to kill one to eat unless she was on the run and lost in the woods again.

“One more stop before we go home,” Kevin spoke again when they reached the edge of the town.

Even though the three had decided to themselves they were not hunters, they had not admitted it to each other or to Kevin yet. They went along with him to see the final stop in his day. Kevin brought them to a shed that sat on the outskirts of town.

When he opened the door the stench from inside the building caused all three to turn their heads away. Kevin couldn’t help but laugh at their reaction, it was the same from everyone their first time to the shack. Taking pity on them he decided he could show them the last part outside.

“If you want to hunt you will have to do all parts involved.” Kevin took one of the fuzz balls, which he said were rabbits, out of the bag and laid it on a stump. He pulled the knife out of the sheath on his leg and sliced into the animal. His movements seemed fast but they were meticulous. He soon had the fur removed and the animal cleaned of his innards.

AJ couldn’t take it any longer. He ran to the nearest tree and heaved painfully expelling the water he had drunk after coming out of the woods. Wiping his mouth he returned to see Nick holding Emma close. Her head buried in his chest, Nick’s hands soothing her by running his hands through her hair.

AJ decided that he needed to tell Emma how he felt that night before Nick could make any more of his moves. Kevin let them all go back to his house since none of them would be staying to help him finish what needed to be done with the rabbits he’d brought back.

All three sat staring at the plate in front of them. They had all finished the vegetables and were now staring at the meat sitting on their plates. Kevin still had not returned but Kristen was kind enough to let them in and serve their meal.

“If everyone were meant to be a hunter or a butcher, more people would. It’s good to see the process that is taken to get the animal to the plate though.” She smiled and spooned more vegetables on the plates of all three. They were all silently thankful they had more time to put off eating the meat.

Emma was getting ready for a good night’s rest when she heard Kevin finally come home. If hunters were out days at a time like that she was glad that Nick probably would not become a hunter. She wasn’t sure she’d want to be away from him for that long.

“Emma,” a soft voice called to her outside her door. She smiled broadly as she opened the door thinking she was going to see Nick. Her smile fell only slightly when she saw AJ standing there instead. “Can we take a short walk?”

“Sure,” She moved to the door and stood outside waiting for AJ to close the door to the house quietly. “Is there something you wanted to discuss?”

“I think you know what I want to talk to you about.”

“I do?”

“We shared something in the woods those days before we reached the town. I felt it, I know you did too.” AJ reached down and took hold of Emma’s hand bringing it to his lips and kissing it softly.

Emma stood watching in shock. Had she done something to lead AJ on? She tried to think back to those days and what she might have said or done to lead him on. Nick was the reason she asked them to join her, Nick was the one she couldn’t bear the thought of being on that stage in a few short years. If his friend was the reason he was willing to come with her she was fine with AJ joining but it was always Nick she wanted with her.

“AJ,” She started. Her eyes widened in surprise when she was no longer able to talk, AJ’s lips were pressed against hers and he was holding her body tightly against his.

Finally, she managed to pull away. “I think you misunderstood.”

“Emma, how could you not tell how I have felt about you?”

Emma knew, she was busy trying to get Nick to notice her she hadn’t really noticed AJ as anything more than a friend. “AJ, I don’t feel that way about you.”

“Nick?”

“Yes,” she replied pulling away. “Always has been.” She admitted and watched as AJ’s smile disappeared and angered flashed in his eyes. “Don’t be mad at him, it’s my fault. I should have seen how you felt and let you know sooner.” She tried to take his hand but he pulled it away quickly. Before she could say anything else he turned away from her and started walking away from her.

“AJ,” she called out. She started after him but he started to run and turned down another street.

“It would be better if you just let him go, he’ll get over it. There are plenty of girls here who are intrigued by him and want to get to know him better. He’ll move on.” A voice said from the doorway. Kristen stood just inside holding her stomach with one hand and motioning for Emma to come inside with the other.

“I hope so,” Emma admitted honestly. She did not want to lose the man she’d come to think of as a friend.

Chapter 20 by Purpura Lipstick

AJ furiously ran until he was out of breath and near the edge of the village, then he collapsed against a tree and hugged his knees close to his chest. How could he have been so stupid? How could he have thought that Emma would ever love him; a man who was practically scared of his own shadow! He thought back to all the instances he’d lacked in bravery on their journey to get to civilisation. There were many, and to Emma he must’ve seemed like such a coward and a weakling. No wonder she preferred Nick.


He stayed there, inconspicuous under the tree, and mentally tried to think of moments he’d let Emma know his feelings. There weren’t any. It had all been wishful thinking on his part. He felt like kicking himself for not taking action sooner. He never usually had a problem picking up the girls, but then again, maybe that was because he didn’t care about any of the girls he’d hooked up with in Endwise.


It wasn’t Nick’s fault, he knew that, but it didn’t stop the jealously from rearing its ugly head. “Fucker” he muttered to himself as he pictured Emma and Nick together, “I’ll show them!”


~*~


“Sir, we’re running short on supplies, are you sure this is a wise decision?” one of the more senior guards asked the Luminary.


“Are you questioning my authority…Peter?” the Luminary glared at him, daring him to say another word against him. Who the hell did he think he was talking to?


“No sir. It’s just that the men are weary…”


“And maybe those men ought to consider themselves lucky to be in such a prestigious position. They are easily expendable!”the Luminary retorted venomously.


“Yes sir. I didn’t mean anything by it and I’m sure I speak for everyone else when I tell you how honored I am to serve you in the guard” Peter grovelled, much to the Luminary’s delight.


“I’m glad to hear that” the Luminary grinned, a smile which didn’t reach his cold blue eyes. “But I suppose you are right, we could dispense with a few more men. Select a few and send them back to Endwise. I’m sure Howie will be grateful for an update on the situation out here”


“I’ll get right onto it sir” Peter replied and went to tell the men the good news.


The Luminary would’ve preferred to go it alone, but he also knew that to go into Kevin’s village alone would be foolish. There may be a blood bond between the two men, but they hated one another intensely.

With just four men to carry out the Luminary’s new mission, they set off along the overgrown road.


~*~


“There you are!” Nick exclaimed when AJ came back the following morning. “We were all wondering where you’d got to”


“I just needed some space, it was getting a little claustrophobic” AJ shrugged, like it was no big deal. What did it matter to anyone where he’d gone? He wasn’t a captive here and could do whatever he pleased.


“You OK?”Emma asked, her voice soft and full of concern. She hoped that Kristen was right and that he would find someone else, there were plenty of young women in the village who were not yet married and who seemed quite taken with AJ.


“Why wouldn’t I be?” he snapped in return and walked away from her. He didn’t want or need her pity. He didn’t need that shit from anyone.


They dug in to breakfast and chatted about the day ahead. Deciding that hunting was not for the newcomers, Kevin and Kristen suggested other occupations which may suit them.


Later on that afternoon, the whole village stopped what they were doing to attend a service for Mary, the woman who’d died during childbirth, who was being laid to rest. Nick, AJ and Emma had never heard of such a thing. Where they came from, you reached the age of thirty and were imprisoned until the time came to put on the Luminary’s monthly ‘entertainment’. No one knew what happened to the bodies afterwards. They were sure that the dead in Endwise were not thought of so well.


“Why are we gathered around a hole in the ground?” AJ whispered to Kevin. Nick and Emma also wondered the same thing but didn’t like to ask.


“This is where Mary will be buried, it’s called a grave” he explained. “When someone dies, we have a gathering for them and the mayor says a few words, and then family and friends might give a small speech before the grave is filled in”


“Weird”the words slipped out of Nick’s mouth before he had a chance to edit his thoughts. “Shit” he muttered under his breath.


“Don’t worry, I was thinking the same thing” AJ whispered.


“There are a lot of things you’ll find weird to begin with” Kevin agreed and then turned his attention back to the service which was about to begin.

The service for Mary was simple, yet very moving, with many of the villagers shedding a tear for the woman who’d been taken too soon.


“Drinks all round” the mayor announced as the crowd of people dispersed. He explained to the newcomers that it was traditional to celebrate the life of the person they’d just buried by having a few drinks. They all found that a little confusing, but didn’t question it. If it was tradition, then who were they to query it!


The drinks were flowing freely and before long, Nick led Emma to a more secluded area where they could talk without having to raise their voices.
“That’s better” Nick said, not letting go of her hand as they stood under a canopy of climbing plants.


“And why did you want to get me all alone? Surely not just to talk…”
But before Emma could say another word, Nick’s mouth was against hers. She didn’t pull away. In fact, she wrapped her arms around him and returned the kiss, which soon built up to the most passionate kiss she’d ever experienced. She’d kissed guys back in Endwise, but none of them had sent this tingling feeling through her body.


“So good”Nick murmured as his lips trailed down her neck and one hand slowly crept under her top.


Emma knew they should stop before they went too far, but she was enjoying it too much.


~*~


AJ spotted Nick and Emma sloping off and couldn’t resist spying on them. As much as he wanted his friend to be happy, he hated him for being the one who Emma wanted. When he saw them kiss, he had to walk away. It was no good, he needed a distraction to stop him walking over and punching his best friend.


Walking back into the throng of people, AJ approached the first girl he saw and turned on the charm which never failed to get him laid in Endwise.

Chapter 21 by Carter-Orange

Chapter 21



The Luminary watched the town move about during its daily business. He watched as women carried pails of milk, men carried wood from the woods and even watched one man as he walked with a herd of sheep to the other side of the woods from where he stood. It was wrong, how they were living. Did they not realize how unnatural their lives were? The Luminary shuddered slightly as he saw the man he was looking for walking with a man that looked ancient.

“It is unnatural how old and feeble they allow their citizens to get.” He muttered to himself but he heard those with him murmuring their agreements.

“How can they give anything to society,” Peter spoke up from behind the Luminary. The Luminary turned his eyes towards the other man glaring at him. His words had not been an open invitation for others to speak.

“Go and get that man,” he said pointing to Kevin, “Tell him to expect my arrival in the morning.” When Peter headed into the town he turned back to the others that traveled with him. “Prepare my tent,” he ordered annoyed that no one had thought to do it already. He would never admit it, but he missed Howie who always anticipated his needs.

 

*~*



“Shit,” Kevin muttered when he saw the man walking towards him from the woods. He knew that The Luminary was near and this man was his messenger. “Where’s Howie?” Kevin asked snidely as the other man stopped in front of him.

“I have a message from The Luminary,” the man spoke ignoring Kevin’s request about Howie.

“He’s in the woods and will be coming to visit at first light to make sure that I have not raised an army to attack him…” Kevin spoke with spite in his voice. Leave it to The Luminary not to trust him that he would not raise arms against him but to check up on him.

“He is looking for three… lost souls,” the man worded carefully. “They wandered outside and The Luminary has felt it is his duty to bring them back to Endwise to ensure they are healthy and so they can take their places back in our society where they belong.”

“And if I tell you that I haven’t seen anyone who looks like they could be from Endwise save yourself in the last few weeks?”

The other man shrugged and smirked at Kevin. “The Luminary will want to check things out for himself, you understand right?”

Kevin continued to glare at the man as he turned and walked back towards the woods from which he came. Tomorrow he would have to stand face to face with The Luminary again and hopefully he could convince him he’d never seen Nick, Emma and AJ. The town’s welfare and the lives of the three who escaped depended on it.

 

*~*



It was the middle of the night when Kevin came into their rooms to wake them. “Come with me,” he whispered to Nick as he shook AJ still attempting to rouse him.

“What’s going on,” Nick asked as Emma wandered into their room. She was fully dressed and had a bag slung over her arm. “Are you kicking us out?” Nick feared that they might do this. They had all been so nice, it couldn’t last.

“Only for a day or so,” Kevin said as he finally managed to wake AJ. When he looked up and noticed Nick giving him a confused face he continued. “Well, you are all here and awake so I might as well tell you. The Luminary is coming into town tomorrow to speak with me. He is checking up on me to make sure we are not raising arms and that I’m not hiding you.”

Emma moved closer and put her hand on Nick’s shoulder. “What will he do?”

“If he finds you here he will drag you back to your deaths and obliterate the town.” Kevin replied grimly.

Emma and Kevin left the room to give Nick and AJ time to get dressed and get their things together. “This is bullshit,” AJ muttered. “Are we going to go into hiding anytime The Luminary decides to have a visit? What if he just shows up before we have a chance to hide, what then?” What little clothing they had they were backing into their bags Kevin had given them. Despite the rush, AJ took his time to fold his clothes neatly and place them into his bag. He didn’t want to deal with wrinkled clothing.

Nick was packed and standing at the door way waiting for AJ to finish. “Done yet?” he asked as AJ zipped his backpack closed. Of course he was done or he wouldn’t be closing the bag. He pulled a knitted cap he had bartered for the day before over his thinning hair and did his best to smile at the man he still felt anger over Emma towards.

“Let’s go,” He muttered and pushed passed Nick and out the door.

The group walked quietly through the town. They took paths they had not seen before, alleyways and streets that had obscured views of the woods. Emma knew it was because at any moment The Luminary could be watching the town for this exact thing to happen.

When they were inside the woods and walking deeper in Emma risked talking. “How can you still hide us knowing that our presence could be the end of the town?”

“The Luminary is looking for any reason to take down this town. It is a constant reminder that he does not have control over everything. He also believes that we live unnaturally letting everyone age and die of old age. “

It was dark but Emma thought she could see heartache on Kevin’s face. “What happens if he does attack?”

Several minutes of silence passed before Kevin spoke again. “He will get more than he bargained for.” Kevin muttered in response.

They reached a building that looked to be built into the ground. “Here,” Kevin motioned as he found the opening and pushed aside the vines so the three could enter. “Here is a bag of food. Use your blankets and each other to keep warm. No fires.” Kevin warned. The three crawled in and nodded in response though they were all sure Kevin could not see them nodding. Their eyes had adjusted to the low level of light but it was still hard to see anything.

The sun was beginning to rise in the sky by the time Kevin made it back to the town. He hoped that he was able to get the three hidden well enough away from The Luminary. He returned to his house where Kristin had breakfast waiting for him.

Neither one of them spoke as they ate. It wasn’t long before Kevin could hear The Luminary bellowing for him to come out. He stood solemnly and made his way outside kissing his wife and rubbing her belly that held their unborn child before making his way outside.

“There you are brother,” The Luminary shouted when he saw Kevin approaching.

Kevin’s dark brows furrowed as he noticed there were two armed guards with Brian. He did not anticipate this ending well.

“We made a deal, why have you come?” Kevin asked.

“You know very well that random checks would be made to ensure you were keeping your end of the bargain.” The Luminary smiled at him.

“Yet, I cannot check to make sure you are living by the same agreement.”

“You and your little town are still here aren’t you?” The Luminary’s voice was curt.

Kevin was silent, he didn’t want to respond. They stood staring at each other for a few moments before Kevin spoke to the shorter man.

“Tell me why you are here then.”

“Simple. There are three fugitives from Endwise. They need to be returned so they can serve their sentence.”

“Their crime?” Kevin asked knowing full well their only crime was leaving the city to begin with but he wanted to know what Brian was telling himself in order to sleep at night.

“It’s Endwise business.” Brian’s grin was wide and looked friendly, but Kevin knew the darkness inside. When he first became free of Endwise he often wondered what had turned him into such a cold man. Growing up, Brian had always been friendly. He liked to goof around. He even helped some of the people of Endwise. Kevin had hopes that maybe Brian would change the way of the city, but then something happened and his friendliness turned into darkness that he could never understand.

“Of course, but I have not seen anyone come this way. Our town grows only in numbers from births.” Kevin lied hoping he could convince the younger, yet powerful man.

“I hope you don’t mind if we take a stroll around your town and find out for ourselves? Maybe ask around.”

Kevin knew this would be coming. The town knew not to say anything, but Brian could appear friendly and children did not know any better. He hoped that their parents would be able to watch them all carefully. “Of course not.” Kevin smiled warmly at his half brother and motioned for Brian to enter into the village further.

Brian moved through the town with his guard and looked where he wanted. He opened doors to private homes and strolled through; he questioned people he saw in the town. Sampled the food and avoided the elderly. When night started to fall Brian politely knocked, the first time he’d knocked all day, on the door to Kevin’s home.

“Well brother, you spoke the truth. I have not found, or heard of the outlaws here. I will leave you in peace.” He put his hand out and waited for Kevin to take it.

Kevin clasped his hand in Brian’s and shook it. “Always good to see you,” He said through his teeth with a fake smile plastered on his face.

“Likewise.” Brian left the house and motioned for his guards to follow him back to their camp. “We will watch from the outside for a few days to make sure,” He told the two men who nodded in agreement. Brian knew something was going on in that town and he wanted to find out.

 

*~*



Emma, Nick and AJ sat huddled in the hut. Nick and Emma held each other tightly. AJ tried not to let it bother him. The girl he’d met the other night was willing enough and she pleased him, but he couldn’t help but wonder what Emma would be like in bed. AJ was starting to get hungry and his bones were aching. He dug around for the food in his bag to find out that it had been crushed under Nick’s foot.

“Are you fucking kidding me?” He screamed as he held up the bag of food.

“Shh,” Emma hissed.

“I’m sorry man,” Nick apologized.

AJ shook his head and crammed the broken food into his mouth. Dark was falling and the cold was seeping into the house. Nick pulled Emma closer leaving AJ across the hut alone and cold. He did not want to ‘cuddle’ with Nick for warmth.

When the two kissed he had had enough. He stood quickly and stormed out of the hut. He couldn’t stand seeing Nick with her. It was driving him crazy. He wanted to take care of it once and for all. He racked his brain as he stormed away from the hut, the others did not follow, figured. A plan dawned on him and he smiled wickedly. “That’ll teach them.” He muttered as he headed around the town to the other side of the woods.

End Notes:

Thanks for reading!

Chapter 22 by Purpura Lipstick

“Fucker”AJ kicked at the dirt, imagining that he was kicking Nick. How he hated his friend right now. Some friend he’d turned out to be! Not only had Nick got the girl AJ wanted, but he’d also acted like he wasn’t even there anymore. They’d been the best of friends for most of their lives, and now a girl had come between them. It wasn’t right and AJ intended to seek his revenge on the pair of them.


 


“We’ll see who has the last laugh” he laughed to himself.


 


He skirted around the outside of the town, making sure not to be seen by anyone. Kevin had warned them to stay out of sight, in case the Luminary and his cronies were lurking. AJ didn’t want to bring unwanted attention onto Kevin; he hadn’t done anything wrong and had only shown them kindness and hospitality since their arrival. He didn’t want the Luminary to know that Kevin had given them shelter and that the whole village had made them feel at home. He only wanted Nick and Emma to suffer and had the attitude of ‘If I can’t have her, then no one will’.


 


The moon shone brightly, but once he was away from the village and its lights, AJ once again had a hard time seeing where he was going. He tripped over something, he couldn’t tell what, and muttered a few ‘fucks’ under his breath, trying to be careful not to be heard. He was sure he’d scraped the skin off the palm of his hand as it stung quite a bit, but he’d live. He’d had worse since leaving Endwise.


 


He carried on walking; his arms kind of out in front of him to prevent bashing into trees and such, but then stopped suddenly when he thought he heard voices. He was aware that he was breathing quite heavily and so took a couple of deep breaths to slow his breathing down. He didn’t know who was out there in the dark, but he didn’t want to be found scurrying around alone.


 


If he was going to the Luminary, he would do it on his own terms.


 


AJ heard the voices again; he couldn’t quite make out what they were saying so moved as quietly as he could until he could hear them clearly.


 


“Sir, with respect I think we ought to go back to Endwise in the morning. The villagers were telling the truth, there are no fugitives here” a voice – one of the guards – said.


 


“You have the nerve to question my authority? Don’t you know to whom you are speaking? I should have you whipped for your insolence” the unmistakable voice of the Luminary replied, his voice as cold as ice, just how AJ remembered it. A shiver went down his spine.


 


“I just meant…I’m sorry sir…it won’t happen…” the guard began but was quickly cut off by his superior.


 


“I don’t trust him” the Luminary said, “He’s a threat to our society. A threat which needs to be stamped out!”


 


“But you said you believed him” another guard said, obviously confused.


 


“What I told him and what I plan on doing are two very different things. You know I will not tolerate being lied to, and Kevin was most definitely lying or at the very least concealing something from me” the Luminary snarled. “For that reason, we will make an example of them all”


 


AJ listened to the conversation from his hiding place in the dark, growing ever more horrified with what he heard. If the Luminary was being serious – which AJ had no doubt about – then everyone in that village would be held accountable for Kevin’s actions. Actions which were none of the Luminary’s business! He had no authority out here; he was just a little man out of his power zone.


 


I’ve got to warn them AJ thought, all thoughts of revenge now pushed to one side. He would address that at a more appropriate time. He turned to go back the way he had come, eager to warn the people who had taken him in and called him a friend. A twig cracked under his foot and he froze in fear, hardly daring to breathe in case he was found out.


 


“What was that?” the Luminary spoke up and AJ could hear footsteps coming towards him.


 


Fuck, what do I do now? AJ deliberated.


 


He soon made up his mind.


 


~*~


 


“Where did he go? He can’t have just gone for a piss as he’s been gone ages” Nick paced the floor, worried about his friend. He’d been gone for quite a while, and with it being so dark outside, Nick was worried that AJ might’ve got lost.


 


“Relax…he’s a big boy now, he can look after himself” Emma told him. She’d seen the way AJ had looked at Nick, knew that he was in a foul mood and was better off being left to cool down. “I’m sure he’s just sulking nearby, in fact, he can probably hear us talking about him”


 


“Sulking? Why would he be sulking?” Nick asked, not really knowing what Emma was sulking about.


 


“Erm…I was hoping it would all blow over, but obviously not. AJ told me he had feelings for me”


 


“What! When?” Nick asked, shocked that he hadn’t seen the signs himself.


 


“It doesn’t matter, I told him we could only be friends and he seemed alright with it” Emma replied, not wanting to get into a discussion about AJ with his friend, who also happened to be the person she was falling for.


 


“Well AJ, if you are out there sulking, get your ass back in here now before someone sees you!” Nick said, trying not to raise his voice too much.


 


“Come on, come back to bed” Emma requested and Nick was happy to oblige. He was enjoying getting closer and closer to Emma as the days went by. He was in no rush for their relationship to take the next step yet though; it was early days and would come when their lives weren’t at risk of being ended by the Luminary. Although if Emma had wanted to step it up; he would not turn the opportunity down. Many a time since he’d met her had Nick fantasized about what the sex would be like.


 


They snuggled up together to keep one another warm and soon drifted off to sleep, thoughts of AJ pushed from their tired minds.


 


~*~


 


“Hello…anyone there?” AJ called out, knowing full well that there were at least two or three people there. He’d heard their voices after all; heard their scheming talk of destroying the village which had done nothing to warrant it.


 


“Who’s there?” a guard called, waving his lantern in the dark, trying to find the source of the voice.


 


“It’s AJ McLean, the flashing red from Endwise and I want to make a deal” AJ replied smugly.

End Notes:

I just want to say that I, Purpura, have really dropped the ball on this story.  We've been holding onto a couple of chapters because we try to keep a couple of chapters ahead but I just really haven't written my next part.   I am hoping after the holidays are over I will be able to write more and this will be updated more frequently.  We hope you enjoy the chapter, cause we think it's really getting good :)

Chapter 23 by Purpura Lipstick
The Luminary eyed the man standing across from his desk. One of the three actually had the gall to approach his camp and express the desire to make a deal. Brian almost had him put to death, he would be awaiting his death when they took him home anyway, was there a point to delaying it further? The two stood looking at each other, sizing each other up. Brian knew for sure now that Kevin had lied to him and he felt vindicated in his desire to destroy the town.

“Speak,” The Luminary commanded unable to take the quiet from this man any longer.

“Sir,” AJ swept into a bow and kept his head low as he started to speak. “I have realized, after being out here, that the way of Endwise is truly the enlightened way.” AJ paused and held his breath. No matter how much he thought he could give this man, he was still playing a dangerous game.

“Of course it is. Now tell me why I shouldn’t just lob off your head where you stand and be done with you?”

AJ stood and continued to look at the smaller man sitting behind a big desk. The size of the desk made the man appear even smaller. He wondered if The Luminary knew how ridiculous he actually looked sitting behind that desk. “This town poses a threat to the very existence of our civilization.”

“That is exactly what I think.”

AJ shoved aside his annoyance at being interrupted and continued. “I have lived among them, as one of them for a few days. I know how they work; I know who the leaders are. I could be your inside man. You wouldn’t want to charge in there unaware. What if they are prepared for you, you could be wandering into a trap.” AJ let the words slide off his tongue. He felt a guilty chill run over him but he told himself he was doing what he needed to survive.

Brian looked at the man standing before him. He seemed to have a cruel touch to him, he was almost glad that this man had gotten away. He had provided him with the perfect opportunity to attack his brother and this town, both of which were a constant thorn in his side. Despite Kevin’s assurances that they would never attack, how long would it be until Kevin came to his senses and realized that he could make the people in Endwises’ lives better.

“And what of the two you escaped with?”

“I would be happy to bring them to you myself. My so called friend took something from me and I would be only too happy serve him on a silver platter if I could.”

“Really?” Brian was intrigued by this man. There was a streak of evil running through his blood and he was quite enjoying it being brought out in front of him. “What did he take?” Brian asked but he could read it on the man’s face. It was the girl. The man’s friend got the girl. “I see,” He said before AJ could answer. “What would you want in return? You realize that the other two will be executed.” Brian wanted to be clear that he could not let the woman live just because he wanted to be with her.

“My desire has nothing to do with her. If I can’t have her, no one can.” AJ smirked at The Luminary seeing that he enjoyed his comment. “I want to become part of your inner circle. I want to be a Red for the remainder of my natural days.” He put it out there.

“If I don’t agree?”

“Kill me now and miss out on any information that I could obtain for you. I would also be willing to sabotage them so your attack will be quick and painless for you.”

“I see,” Brian thought it over. This man was ruthless. Brian liked ruthless men. He could use someone like him on his council and if he ever tired of him he could easily have him killed. He laughed inwardly and smiled at AJ. “We have a deal.”

A look of relief swept over AJ. His deal had been accepted. Now he would make sure that he lived longer in a society that he’d grown up in and was starting to sorely miss. Without the fear of dying hanging over his head he would be truly free to live his life completely. AJ bowed to The Luminary again and held it awaiting his first order.

“Go back to the town and find out information on their defences and be back here at sunset tomorrow with the information. If you do not come, I will make sure that you die the slowest way possible.”

AJ closed his eyes hearing this but stood quickly and saluted The Luminary before exiting the tent. He stood outside for a moment before he took a deep breath and started back towards the town.

He was surprised how quickly he was able to find his way back to the town. The Luminary had pointed him in the right direction, well he had one of his guards point him in the right direction. He walked into the town boundaries with many eyes watching him. A little girl ran in front of him and down the way, likely to get the Mayor and possibly Kevin.

Kevin approached with Nick and Emma in tow. AJ smiled at all of them and held out his arms to embrace his friend. “Nick, did I worry you?”

“What were you thinking leaving like that?” Nick started but Kevin held up his hands. Nick was silenced.

“We can discuss that later. I want to know if you ran into The Luminary while you were walking around.”

AJ shook his head. “If I had run into him don’t you think I’d likely be dead right now?” AJ let an easy smile cover his face as his eyes moved from Nick to Emma and finally settling on Kevin.

They all stood silent for a while longer. The sun was causing AJ to start to perspire; at least he hoped it was warm enough he could blame the sun for the sweat that was starting to form on his brow.

“Come with me I want to talk to you,” Kevin put his hand on AJ’s shoulder and guided him away from the others. He wanted to tell AJ about what happened while they were in the woods but he also wanted time alone with him, away from Nick and Emma, to decide for himself if AJ was telling the truth about what happened during the time he was away from everyone.

Nick and Emma watched the other two leave. “Do you think he’s telling the truth?” Emma asked, somewhat ashamed that she would be thinking that AJ would be anything but honest with them.

Nick continued to watch the two figures disappear before he turned to Emma to reply. “AJ may be upset with me, but he and I are like brothers. We have each other’s backs. I trust him.” Nick pulled Emma closer to him and kissed her forehead. “You should too.” He added.

Emma leaned into Nick. She felt guilty that she didn’t have as much faith in AJ as he did. There was something about AJ’s smile that didn’t sit right with her. That smile was hiding something.
End Notes:
After a long break both Steph and I hope to get back into the swing of things and update more frequently, that is if anyone is still reading ;)
Chapter 24 by Carter-Orange
Chapter 24


“What did you want to talk about?” AJ asked as he and Kevin walked away. He had a feeling it was about the Luminary. Kevin, Nick and Emma had all looked at him curiously when he returned. Did they really suspect anything? Surely none of them would have an inkling he’d gone to find the Luminary. He’d been a flashing red when they’d left, and therefore he had the most to lose. AJ could still hardly believe he’d had the guts to face him.

“I just wanted to check that you are alright. You left the hiding place where you were supposed to be with Nick and Emma…and I wanted to know why?” the older man asked. He sat down and indicated to AJ to take a seat opposite. He wanted to be able to see his face, to see if he was concealing anything. Kevin hated to doubt people, but he’d originally come from Endwise and knew that you couldn’t always take a person’s word as the truth. His own brother was proof of that.

“I couldn’t sleep, so decided to take a little walk. It was dark and I lost my bearings for a while, probably walked around in circles before eventually finding my way back!” AJ lied easily.

“As long as you are sure nothing else is bothering you?” Kevin queried, studying AJ’s facial expressions.

“Everything’s great. In fact, I couldn’t be happier. For the first time in a long time, everything seems to be looking up” AJ grinned.

They talked for a while longer, before Kevin advised AJ to keep a low profile. He didn’t want to give the Luminary any reason to attack the town, but knew that something was going to happen. He knew Brian, knew exactly what he was capable of, and once he’d got something into his evil head, he didn’t let go.

Brian may have told Kevin that he was leaving to go back to Endwise, but Kevin wasn’t sure he trusted him. He would’ve liked to have kept AJ, Nick and Emma hidden for a couple more days just to be sure. But as long as they weren’t out and about too much, he figured it should be alright.

~*~


As bad as she felt for doubting him, Emma couldn’t help the niggling feeling that AJ was not being honest.

He may have fooled Kevin and Nick, but he didn’t fool her. Yet she couldn’t say exactly what it was that had her back up. He said and did all the right things, so why couldn’t she just let it drop?

“What are you brooding over?” Nick asked, entwining his fingers with hers and pulling her close to him.

“Nothing” she replied and put AJ out of her mind. It wasn’t good to dwell on things that might not be true. She would only get worked up and end up doing or saying something she might later regret.

“Oh yeah? You looked deep in thought about something!”

“I was just wondering how long it would be until you kissed me again” she teased. Now that she’d thought about it, the words she’d spoken had been the truth. She did want to kiss him again.

“Well, funny you should ask…” Nick began and then moved closer to Emma, tilting his head slightly so that he could kiss her.

“Mmm” Emma sighed as his lips trailed soft kisses down her neck. She had been kissed before, many times in fact, but she had never felt the way she did with Nick. He made her forget her worries, made her forget everything, with just the slightest touch. She soon forgot all about AJ and his possible treachery.

~*~


The Luminary paced up and down, deep in thought. He hoped the red – AJ - would remain true to his word. He’d said all the right words when he’d been in his presence, but now hours later, Brian began to have his doubts. What if he ran back to those peasants and told them where he was hiding? What if an angry mob came to hunt him down?

“No, he wouldn’t do that. He’s like me. I saw that evil glint in his eye” Brian told himself. He actually did admire the man. Shame he’d have to execute him when he got him back to Endwise. But rules were rules after all. He couldn’t be seen to sympathise with traitors, or give them special treatment. AJ and his fellow traitors would get an extra special send off when they got back. Brian had to hold back the desire to cackle out loud at the thought of the torture they would endure. If only that AJ character had made himself known to him before running. A man like that would’ve been made a trusted member of the guard.

Brian stopped pacing and ordered one of his guards to bring him something to eat. He couldn’t wait to get back home to Endwise and back to his usual eating habits. All this eating outside was not natural. In fact, he was repulsed by the way his brother was now living. But he consoled himself with the thought that Kevin would not be living for very much longer.

~*~


The time seemed to pass quickly, and before he knew it, AJ was looking up into the sky and noticing that sunset was fast approaching.

He’d spent most of the day contemplating what he was going to say when he faced the Luminary again. He knew that one wrong word would make all the difference between the life of luxury or no life at all.

Looking around to make sure that no one had followed him, he slipped away from the village and made his way to the Luminary’s temporary camp, all the while keeping alert to the sights and sounds around him.

He froze when he felt something hard jabbing into his back, but relaxed when the Luminary appeared.

“I don’t think there is any need to treat our guest in that way” he signalled for the guard to lower his weapon and leave them.

AJ turned and smirked at the guard, who scowled at him before walking away.

“So my friend, did you find out what I requested of you?” the Luminary asked as he offered AJ something from a plate. AJ hadn’t seen such delicious food since leaving Endwise and his stomach suddenly rumbled loudly.

“Yes sir” he replied and took a bite. “I did exactly as you wanted, and more”.
End Notes:
Hopefully we won't take too long with the next update :)
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10831