The Guardian Crusade by VeeLynn
Summary: “Then it has been stated, and so it shall be written.” Guardian Rem said as he stepped forward. Avit did not like him much and he was usually a good judge on a person. There was something about Rem that just did not sit well with him. “The girls will stay, the boys will be sent to Earth where they will be protected.”
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Group
Genres: Alternate Universe
Warnings: Death, Graphic Sexual Content, Graphic Violence, Sexual Assault/Rape, Sexual Content, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 22 Completed: Yes Word count: 140235 Read: 26502 Published: 04/14/12 Updated: 04/14/12

1. Prologue by VeeLynn

2. Chapter 1 by VeeLynn

3. Chapter 2 by VeeLynn

4. Chapter 3 by VeeLynn

5. Chapter 4 by VeeLynn

6. Chapter 5 by VeeLynn

7. Chapter 6 by VeeLynn

8. Chapter 7 by VeeLynn

9. Chapter 8 by VeeLynn

10. Chapter 9 by VeeLynn

11. Chapter 10 by VeeLynn

12. Chapter 11 by VeeLynn

13. Chapter 12 by VeeLynn

14. Chapter 13 by VeeLynn

15. Chapter 14 by VeeLynn

16. Chapter 15 by VeeLynn

17. Chapter 16 by VeeLynn

18. Chapter 17 by VeeLynn

19. Chapter 18 by VeeLynn

20. Chapter 19 by VeeLynn

21. Chapter 20 by VeeLynn

22. Chapter 21 by VeeLynn

Prologue by VeeLynn

                         The Guardian Crusade

                               Volume I

                                                 Prologue

 

 

            An Elvaan man with long thick blonde hair ran down the root covered hallways.  His name was Avit, he was General to the Winnol Army as he had been for ten years now.  He headed towards the crowd of maids and servants as they gathered around the door.  They all talked amongst themselves as the commotion in the bedroom echoed in the hallway.  He looked around at everyone as they led him to the door. Most of the servants were Elvaan, a few were human, and they all lightly bowed to him as a sign of respect.  Slowly he opened the door and slid into the room as he kept the door as closed as possible so no one could see in.

 

            “General Avit.” said a woman to him as he closed the door to the room.  He turned around and saw the Queen’s maiden standing in front of him. Looking up he saw his King, King Marsa kneeling beside the bed.  His eyes drifted to the bed and he saw his Queen lying there, in pain, breathless, barely awake. 

 

King Marsa looked up as he heard one of the servants speak. He saw Avit standing at the door; he looked to his wife and then stood up.  Walking over to Avit he took the General by the arm.

 

“Hello my friend.” Marsa said with a light smile.

 

“How is she?” Avit asked his face fallen with concern.

 

“Not well but this is not an ordinary birth.” Marsa said sadly, Avit saw the pain in his eyes.

 

“I am sorry to disturb you but I thought you should know.” The General said as Marsa looked to his wife. “Queen Mela of Tokia, Queen Halian and Queen Evia have also gone into birth.”

 

Marsa took a deep breath. “I see.” He sighed. “Then it is as we thought.”

 

“Yes.” Avit nodded as he looked to Queen Tas. 

 

“Then send word to the others, when all four children are born, we meet.” Marsa said looking back to his General.

 

“Yes sir.” Avit nodded as he straightened up a little. He watched as Marsa lightly smiled again and turned to walk back over to his wife.  Turning around he reached for the door and opened it, hearing the birthing maiden telling Marsa it was time, as he closed the door behind him.

 

 

Avit stood against the wall as the four men talked or argued around the soft wooden table.  It was mid afternoon the next day.  He had not slept at all yet and he had to assume no one else in the room had either.  King Marsa sat at the head table his head resting on his slim Elvaan fingers.  His eyes heavy with fatigue Avit frowned as the other Kings bickered.

 

“She is our first child; I will not send her away.” King Adop said with anger.

 

“Yes same with Nalia, she is our first and after what her mother went through, I will not do this.” King Colim said agreeing with Adop.

 

“Aye I see, so we are expendable because we have already.” King Rossi snapped back as Marsa sighed.

 

“So you say you are going against the Pixca.” Marsa said looking up at everyone.

 

“If it means keeping my only child so be it.” Adop said as he sat back.

 

“I wish I could be so selfish.” Rossi said as he leaned onto the table. 

 

“Tell me I did not just hear a Dwarf calling a Human selfish?” Adop said with a laugh. Avit sighed to himself when he saw the trouble brewing by friends who were tired and exhausted

 

“Aye Adop you be starting something?” Rossi said as he got out of his seat.

 

“Enough!” Marsa shouted as he slammed his fist down onto the table. “It has been a very long night, and the decision we all must make is hard.”

 

“There is no reason to send them away, we all have been at peace for years.” Colim said as Rossi climbed back up in his chair.

 

“Aye, I agree with you Colim but still the Pixca have said…” Rossi was interrupted.

 

“The Pixca? We are to send our children away because of lore?” Adop said looking to Rossi.

 

“It is not lore it is the word, the word of Pixcadia.” Marsa said looking to his friend.

 

“Bah!” Adop grunted as he sent back. “Some word, making a woman say goodbye to her only child, her only daughter.”

 

“I can not Marsa I am sorry.” Colim said as he looked to the tall slender Elvaan man. “I just can not do this to Evia...” Colim said. “..Or do it to myself.”

 

“Then may Pixca have mercy for you.” Rossi said with a growl as he got out of his chair with frustration.

 

“Rossi..” Marsa sighed as he stood up.

 

“I will not be apart of this, I will do what I must, and Mela will do what she must for Pixca. I will not suffer for the selfishness of these two.” With that Rossi left the room followed quickly by his Chief.

 

“You know what this will mean.” Marsa said as he looked to the others. “Pixca has said all four must be sent, to save them, to protect them, you really want to risk their lives?”

 

“I would rather have her memories with death, then to never know her at all.” Colim said. Marsa closed his eyes and sighed.

 

“Then you will send yours as well?” Adop asked.

 

“It is what Pixca wants.” Marsa said with a nod.

 

“Then it has been stated, and so it shall be written.” Guardian Rem said as he stepped forward. Avit did not like him much and he was usually a good judge on a person. There was something about Rem that just did not sit well with him. “The girls will stay, the boys will be sent to Earth where they will be protected.”

Chapter 1 by VeeLynn
The Guardian Crusade

Volume I



Chapter 1

27 Years Later; Earth 2005



He sat at the small table skimming over the cards in front of him. The sounds all around him taking his mind away from the game he was playing. Looking up he saw the major sound distracting him, Kevin and Nick fighting.



“Why can’t you just listen to me when I’m talking to you, just stop with the damn video game.” Kevin said angerly as he stood over Nick who was still staring at the television screen.



“I am, just because I ain’t lookin at you.” Nick said back without even moving his eyes.



“It’s a sign of respect.” Kevin said in a tone Aj knew got under Nick’s skin. He smiled a little it was the same fight they always had, just Eleven years later.



“Whatever, I’m almost done.” Aj heard Nick huff as he looked away. He frowned a little as he lowered his head to look out the window at the clouds that had covered over head. It looked like there was a storm coming in.



“What the hell man!” Aj heard Nick shout as he looked away from the window quickly.



“Just stop for one second!” Kevin shouted back as he held the plug to the video game consol in his hand. Aj rolled his eyes, this fight was over the fact they were stopping to eat. He looked back down too his game of solitaire.



“Hey.” A voice said from beside him, he looked up and saw Brian squeezing into the booth across from him. “Any luck?” he nodded to the game.



“Nope” he said shaking his head with a sigh.



“So, how are you doing?” Brian asked as Aj skimmed over the cards one last time before he called it.



“Fine.” Aj said as he began to gather up the cards. He knew where Brian was going with this. Was he tired, was he ok, was he going to drink again. He knew the answer but he could tell the people around him weren’t so sure.



“Are you tired or anything?” Brian asked as Aj started to shuffle the cards.



“A little.” He shrugged as he heard a rumble of thunder over him. Aj began to lay the cards out in a row again as the door to the back of the bus slammed shut. He looked up and saw Kevin storming down the small hallway by the bunks.



“I swear that kid.” Kevin was cut off by a loud cracking sound that turned into a large bang. Then the bus began to swerve and the three guys grabbed onto what ever they could as the momentum sent them falling. Aj heard a yell and a loud crash just before his head smacked against something and everything went black.



He felt his eyes flutter open and every time the light would peek through his head would throb in pain. With heavy footsteps around him, loud mumbling ringing in his ears, Aj tried to force himself awake. He moaned as he raised his arm blocking the sun from his eyes.



“Over here! This one is waking up.” He heard someone shout. With a shade safe over his eyes Aj opened them and looked around.



“Stay there.” A man said as Aj got a sword pointed in his face.



“uh, sure.” Aj mumbled his head pounding with every word. He lowered his head hoping that would ease the pain. When it didn’t he grabbed his head and closed his eyes again.



“Wait a minute..” Aj thought. “was he wearing metal armor?” Aj slowly looked up again and his eyebrows frowned in confusion as he saw the man, in the metal armor still standing over him. Looking to his left he saw more men in metal as he looked closer he saw that they were attending to the other guys.



“Where’s the bus?” Aj asked sitting up, the guards around him stiffing up.



“The what?” The man who seemed to in charged asked.



“Our bus, where’s our bus?” Aj asked still looking around.



“These men talk funny sir.” Aj heard what he thought was a solider of some kind say.



“Yes.” The solider, which seemed to be in charge said. “How do they fare?” he shouted down to a man on his left. Aj looked and saw a man in a long white heavy silk robe, standing by Kevin and Nick who were still out cold, he hoped out cold anyways.



“Are my friends ok?” Aj asked. The man turned his head and looked down to Aj and he lightly raised an eyebrow.



“The priests got to them in time; they should be fine with a little rest.” The solider said as a priest walked up to him. Aj watched as the two men talked quietly and then the solider looked at him again. “Can you stand?” he asked.



“I’m not sure my head is pounding.” Aj said as he pulled his hand away and saw the blood from the cut on his forehead.



“Please sir, let me clean it.” A man said from beside him. Aj looked up very confused but his head hurt to much, and he wasn’t sure what was wrong with the guys, to ask where the hell he was, where his bus was, and what’s with the clothes. His thoughts were broken when two men walking beside him holding a stretcher with Howie on it went passed him.



“Where’re you taking him?” Aj asked not worrying about his head to stand.



“Calm down sir.” The solider said as he put a hand against his chest. “He is going to Winnol Healing Springs.”



“Where?” Aj asked really confused.



“Winnol Healing Springs it is where we take our injured and dying.” The solider said.



“Dying?” Aj asked shocked as he turned to look for Howie and saw the priest putting him into a horse carriage.



“Your friend is not dying, as I said he will be fine.” He said as Aj looked at the horse carriage.



“Where am I, where the hells are we?” Aj asked turning around to look at the solider.



“You are in Pixcadia.” The solider said. “My name is Bussa I am the Colonel of Kalica.” Aj starred at the man, his jaw open a little, his eyes still, not even a blink.



“Umm ok.” Aj said as he blinked a little and stood up. “Huh.” He said as he turned around. “The bus…” Aj said thinking to himself. “The storm!” He said loudly as the people around him looked at him strange.



“Pardon me?” Bussa said confused.



“It was storming outside, and we were on our bus heading to New York.”



“New York? Oh yes your homeland.” The man said as Aj spun around.



“You know where I come from?” Aj asked confused.



“Yes.” The man nodded. “It is a long story, and I am not allowed to explain it too you myself.” He said as he looked at the last of the guys to be carried away.



“How is Nickolas?” Bussa asked one of the priests as he noticed they were loading him into a carriage.



“He just needs rest.” The priest said with a light smile. Colonel Bussa nodded and let the priest go. “You will travel with me; we are not to far from Winnol.”



“Yeah.” Aj said as the Colonel lightly took him by the arm and walked him to the last carriage that was there. Aj climbed in and saw it looked on the inside like what he had thought it would. There were two wooden bench seats on each end and a window on the wall beside him. He sat down as Colonel Bussa shut the wooden door and knocked on the wall behind him. The carriage jerked and Aj grabbed his seat.



“You seem rather calm for someone who has been through what you just went through.” Bussa said as Aj looked at him.



“I’m dreaming.” Aj said looking away from him. “The bus crashed, I hit my head and I’m trippin.” Aj said with a nod as he looked out the window. He looked up and saw the tall lush trees; they looked like the giant trees in British Columbia.



“So what is this Winnol?” Aj asked as he looked to Colim. “I might as well play along until I wake up.” He shrugged.



“Pardon?” Bussa asked a little confused.



“Never mind.” Aj sighed. “Where is Winnol?” Aj asked still not sure if that was the right name.



“Oh, it is in the country Winnol, that is where we are.” Bussa said.



“Cool.” Aj nodded slowly. “So what is Pixcadia?”



“Pixcadia is the world we live in, the word we live by.” Bussa replied.



“Neato.” Aj said with another nod as he looked out the window. “Damn I hit my head good.” Aj said with a light laugh. “Hope I wake up.”



“Sir if you need to lie down?” Bussa asked.



“Naw I’m good.” Aj said shaking his head lightly. “Ow.” He gasped as he grabbed his head. “Note to self head still hurts.”



“Maybe you should lie down?” Bussa asked as he lightly pointed to the empty part of the seat.

“Naw, I’m ok just a headache, use to get them all the time.” Aj said remembering to what felt like to him, years and years ago. He watched as Bussa sat back looking at him with a puzzled look. He lightly smiled and looked back out the window. This time he looked down to the grass and watched as the greenery and flowers passed him by.



“So if this is a dream, why does my head actually hurt?” Aj thought to himself. He looked up when he heard a voice from outside and watched as they went through a gate. The carriage began to slow as they entered what Aj figured was Winnol the city. When the carriage stopped he looked as a man walked by, he had long dark straight hair and his ears pointed out from his hair. “Pointed?!” Aj thought as he quickly sat forward.



“What was that?” Aj asked as he leaned forward.



“What was what sir?” Bussa asked as he leaned over a little.



“That, that person had pointed ears.” Aj said as turned and looked at Bussa.



“All Elvaans do sir.” Bussa said as Aj noticed a smile pull back the corner of his mouth.



“Elvaans…” Aj said a little breathless. “Oh yeah, I’m dreamin, or in a coma.” Aj nodded as he sat back.



Aj decided to stop looking out the window since his head was still pounding and all these names, places, and Elvaans were making him a little light headed. Carefully laying his head back against the back wall of the carriage he closed his eyes and tried to relax. He opened an eye when he felt the carriage stop and he opened the other one when he saw Colonel Bussa reaching for the door.



“So when can I see my friends.” Aj asked as he stepped out.



“You will meet with the Kings and then someone will take you too see them.” Bussa said as he closed the door and turned around.



“Kings?” Aj said his eyes went a little wide. “Of course, Kings.” He sighed. As he began to follow Bussa he looked around at the people. They were all Elvaan, some with dark black hair, some with brown and some with blonde hair. Everyone looked at him and stopped whatever it was they were doing. He began to feel a little weird, even in his dream people acted like they knew who he was. Looking to the front of him again Aj saw Bussa stop and he stopped behind him as he looked up.



“Whoa.” He said breathless as he saw the castle that looked like a tree, a really large and tall tree. Giant trunks twisted together tightly to create a giant wall, only splitting apart for windows.



“Amazing is it not?” He heard Bussa asked and Aj looked back down.



“Yeah.” Aj nodded; a little proud of himself he imagined something so cool.



“It was a gift from Pixca.” Bussa said. “It was a gift to the Elvaans.”



Aj looked back up the tall castle; it went well into the sky, the top of it hidden by the giant lush green leaves that fell from the top. It opened his eyes a little and he slowly looked down as he turned around and took an actual look at the city around him. All the buildings had been made by the earth. He noticed they looked like the mud house he learned about in grade school history. The windows of the buildings were made from stain glass, dominate with the colours of green, pinks and blues. The houses were decorated with flowers, and the business buildings which looked much like the houses, were decorated crawling vines.





“Sir?” Bussa said breaking Aj’s look-a-around. He turned around and looked at the Colonel. “I shall take you into the castle the Kings are waiting.” He noticed the guards that were with him had moved closer to him guarding him.



“Oh ok.” Aj said with a nod as he walked over to Bussa. “So since you know where I come from, do you know my name?” Aj asked as they walked into the castle, his attention taken for a moment by the giant doors opening up in front of him. They had a symbol etched in them, a tree with some kind of bird flying in front of it.



“Yes you are Alexander.” Bussa said with a light nod.



“And you know who my friends are?” Aj asked.



“Yes sir.” The Colonel said with another nod. Aj lightly shook his head as they stopped in a large hallway.



In front of him were two Giant doors again the symbol etched in them but this one was larger, the symbol split down the middle of the doors and he watched as it broke in half as the doors opened for them. The guards around them parted and stayed outside as Bussa and Aj walked into a room with marble walls. The same thick trunks slithered their way up the walls.



“Alexander.” A man said as Aj looked from the ceiling down to the voice. Aj’s head tilted a little as he looked at the old Elvaan standing up. “Welcome.” He said as he reached his arm out for Aj to sit down. Looking around the table he saw two other men sitting there. One looked like him, well Human, the other was short, stubby, like a Dwarf. “Alexander this is King Adop and King Rossi.” The old Elvaan said as he sat back down when Aj sat in a chair.



“Hi.” Aj said with a quick wave and a light smile. The two men looked at each other and Aj wasn’t sure if it was because of him or what.



“I had hoped Queen Evia would be here but she has not arrived from Hevi yet.” He said with a small sigh. “I am King Marsa. I rule over these people and lands.” He spoke as Aj looked at the other people standing in the room. They all wore metal armor, except for the Elvaan. His hair was blonde and his clothes were a light material, his chest protected by a green leather vest, with the symbol Aj saw on the doors.



“Alexander?” He heard someone say and he turned around.



“Or sorry, just checking the place out pretty cool.” He nodded.



“How hard did he hit his head Bussa?” Marsa asked looking to the Colonel.



“He hit it pretty hard sir.” Bussa said as he took a step forward. Aj looked to the two men a little confused, not sure why they thought he wasn’t thinking straight. “I think he believes he is dreaming sir.”



“I see.” Marsa said with a light sigh. Aj looked to Marsa and saw the look on his face, it didn’t make him feel good and for the first time since he woke up here he felt himself wanting to wake up.



“Can I see my friends?” Aj asked as Marsa looked up at him.



“Yes.” Marsa said with a light sigh. He turned around a little in his chair. “Avit, please take Alexander to the Healing Springs, I will come down after I am done here.”



“Yes Lord.” Avit said with a nod as he stepped forward.



Aj stood up and took one last look at everyone in the room, noticing as they watched him intently. He followed the blonde Elvaan out the door and back out of the castle. His eyes shifted around as he looked at the people staring at him again, looking at him as if they knew him, and had not seen him in years. This time more aware as he walked through the city he noticed a few of the people were whispering as he walked by.



It wasn’t long before they were there; Aj figured they must have only walked a couple of blocks. It wasn’t a building but looked like a small park, with caves outlining the edge. He heard water falling but could not see a waterfall. Vines and lush leaves covered over top of them and ran down the dirt walls of the caves.



“Is this the Healing Springs?” Aj asked as he looked at the Avit.



“Yes.” He nodded as he waved for another man to come over. Aj watched as the Elvaan man in a long green silk robe walked over to them. “We are here to see Nickolas and the others.”



“Yes General Avit, please wait here.” The man said with a nod and then turned around heading into on the caves. As Aj’s head slowly turned as he started looking around again, his eyes following down to the grass below his feet. He noticed the baby breath flowers scattered through out the grass around the place, he also noticed there were no paths at all.



“This way please.” The man said loudly as he waved them over to the cave. Aj and Avit stepped forward and walked over to the Elvaan in the green robe. “They are in here, they are all awake now.”



“Thank god.” Aj sighed as he headed into the room, oblivious to the shock and concern on the Elvaans face. Avit raised his hand, his eyes asking for patience. The Elvaan nodded and left.



“Holy crap man there you are.” Kevin said as he sat in the stone tub. Aj stopped in the room and looked around and saw his friend all sitting in stone tubs.



“Where are we?” Howie asked as they began reaching for towels and climbed out.



“They told me Pixcadia.” Aj said with a shrug. “I say I’m dreaming, so lets go check this place out.”



“Alex dude, I don’t think we’re dreaming.” Nick said as he walked over to his clothes.



“What?” Aj said with a laugh. “Elvaans, Dwarfs, really big ass tree houses.” Aj said raising an eyebrow. “Nope pretty sure I’m dreamin.” Kevin walked over to him and smacked him up side the head.



“Did that hurt?” Kevin asked as Aj grabbed his head in pain.



“What the fuck do you think?” Aj said as he winced in pain.



“Then we are not dreaming.” Kevin said as he looked out the door and then looked to Aj.



“You could have just asked.” Aj moaned as he sat down on a chair by them.



“What do you remember?” Kevin asked looking at him.



“I was Playing cards, talking to Rok, then there was a really big bang and then I remember falling.” Aj said remembering. Then his head shot up. “We’re dead aren’t we, the bus crashed, we died, this is heaven.”



“With Elvaans?” Nick asked looking at him with a raised eyebrow.



“And why are we in pain?” Brian asked as he walked up to Aj and Kevin.



“You alright there D?” Kevin asked as he saw Howie holding his shoulder.



“Yeah, shoulder hurts.” Howie said lightly grabbing his shoulder.



“Where were you when we crashed?” Aj asked remembering he wasn’t in the back with Nick or on the living space with him, Brian and Kevin.



“Sleeping in my bunk.” Howie said with a frown as he remembered being sent flying out, slamming into the wall across the way.



Aj and everyone looked up to the door way when they heard voices and saw King Marsa and Avit walking into the room. AJ looked to his friends and notice this was the first time they had seen the Elvaan. Their jaws were opened slightly and their eyes wide.



“My name is King Marsa, I rule these lands, and I along with King Rossi of Tokia, King Adop of Sarila and Queen Evia of Kalica, have asked you all here.”



“Asked us, here? Why?” Kevin asked confused. Aj was defiantly now getting the feeling like something wasn’t right. He was in pain so he couldn’t have been dreaming or even dead, so what was going on.



“It is a long story, one that would take sometime to explain.” Marsa said as the guys looked on intently listening. “And I am not sure you would believe it if I told you.”



“I’ve seen Dwarves, Elvaans and a Tree castle, try me.” Aj said raising his eyebrows. “Are we dead? Are we dreaming?”



“You know this reminds me of one time in Star Trek when the Holideck crashed and Data..” Nick was interrupted.



“Nick.” Kevin said looking at him. Kevin then looked back to Marsa. “Where are we?”



“You are in Pixcadia, in the land of Winnol.” Marsa said as he motioned for the guys to follow him. He started walking and the guys looked at each other, they shrugged and then headed out of the cave.



“Why are we here, I mean, we’re alive, can we go back to earth?” Howie asked they stopped outside of the caves, still in the Healing Springs.



“You are here because we need your help, yes you are very much alive, and yes you can go back to earth.”



“You need our help, how?” Brian asked confused as the guys nodded with him. Aj found himself looking around again, at the caves, the trees, and the people.



“Our land is in a terrible time, we are at war.” Marsa said as Kevin’s head shot up.



“War?” Kevin asked confused. “You need us to help you with a war?”



“I will explain.” Marsa said as Aj looked back to him and the guys. “This may be a little hard for you to take but twenty seven years ago there were four children born at the same time.” Marsa said as the guys looked quickly at each other and then back to the King. “It is the word of Pixcadia that these four children, two boys and two girls, be sent away.”



“They were sent away, away from what?” Howie asked looking around.



“At the time nothing.” Marsa said remembering. “unfortunately because of the fact two of the children were kept here, and two were sent away, we are suffering for that stupidity.”



“So what does this have to do with any of us?” Nick asked as he pointed to himself and the guys.



“There is a Mage leading an army, he has already started war with Kalica, invading the city of Pomic. King Colim, King of Kalica was there that day preparing his army to go in and take care of the army that was gathering outside of the city, in the mountain caves.” Marsa said as he explained a little bit about the history. “The Mage took over the city, and has been there for a year.”



“A year?” Aj asked confused. “Now I’m not much into politics but uh, isn’t letting him sit there for a year not the best thing to do?” Aj noticed Marsa smile and then he nodded.



“We tried to remove him, but he had taken Kalica by surprise. The King and Army there did not expect the Mage’s men to be so many. Kalica went through many lives trying to reclaim the city, but then Queen Evia, pulled her men back, set up guard around the capital city, and around the other city of Muli.”



“Still doesn’t explain why we’re here.” Nick said and Aj thought he was going to get a look from Kevin, but Kevin just nodded.



“The Mage, has only shown interest in Kalica, and we hear rumors that Sarila is next on the list.” Marsa explained. “We believe this war, this Mage, is because of what did not happen twenty seven years ago. The son of Tokia, and the son of Winnol were sent away to be protected as Pixca asked.” Marsa said with a nod. “but the daughter of Sarila and the daughter of Kalica were kept here, and thus, the word with Pixca was not kept.”



“So again I ask what does any of this have to do with us? We’re just five guys that sing.” Nick said as Aj nodded with the rest of the guys.



“That is what you remember, that is what you know.” Marsa said and it confused Aj.



“What?” Kevin said and Aj noticed Kev looked more confused than he did.



“We hope that bringing the two boys back, it will have some effect on what is going on.” Marsa said as Aj crossed his arms.



“So where are they and why are we here?” Aj asked as Marsa looked at him.



“They are right here.” Marsa said with a small smile.



“Huh?” Kevin and Nick said at the same time as they looked around but it was just them and King Marsa.



“The boys that were sent from here, they were sent to earth, they were given families, they were given safety, they were not suppose to come back at all.” Marsa said. “But we do not know what else to do.”



“Wait a minute.” Kevin said as he turned his head a little. “Are you saying two of us are these boys?”



“Whoa what?” Brian said as his eyes shot open and he looked from Kevin to Marsa.



“Who?” Kevin asked when he saw Marsa’s face. Aj looked up to Kevin, and saw Kevin’s eyes divert to him, he then looked up to Marsa who was looking right at him.



“Me?!” Aj said pointing to his chest. “What me? Hold up, what? No.” Aj said shaking his head.



“You are Alexander, I named you myself.” Marsa said remembering. Aj looked at the man as his eyes fell in confusion.



“So your saying he’s..” Kevin said looking to Aj. Aj looked up at Kevin still stunned.



“My son, yes.” Marsa nodded lightly.



“I need to sit down.” Aj said as he looked around for a chair, there was none so he just sat down right on the spot he was standing.



“Well wait who’s the other one then?” Howie asked.



“Who cares?” Nick said looking at him. “This is crazy.” He said to the other guys expect Aj who still sat on the ground.



“The other boy is the son of Rossi, his name is Nickolas.” Marsa said. The guys stopped arguing with themselves and stared at Nick.



“King Rossi?” Nick asked confused.



“The Dwarf?” Aj asked looking up to Marsa. Aj watched as the King nodded, and Aj looked at Nick. Then out of no where and to everyone’s surprise he started laughing,



“Dude?” Nick asked looking at Aj confused. Nick then looked to the other guys as they looked at each other confused.



“uh, Alex?” Kevin said as he knelt down in front of him, as Aj grabbed his sides, still laughing. Aj tried to get the words out but he was still laughing too much, he could only point to Nick and then to Brian. Kevin looked back at the two confused with a light shrug. He then looked back to Aj as Aj caught his breath.



“Sorry.” Aj sighed. “I just remembered all the short jokes Nick cracked at Rok and well now..” Aj said as he looked up at Nick and started laughing again.



“Do I look like a Dwarf?” Nick asked confused, shocked and a little scared.



“Hey yeah!” Brian said looking to Marsa. “He doesn’t look like a Dwarf.” He said as he pointed to Nick. “And he doesn’t look like an Elf.” Said Brian as he pointed to Aj.



“It is apart of the magic that protected them, they look like their Earth human forms.” Marsa said. “We hope that it will be enough to confuse the Mage, if he gets word the boys are back, he will be looking for a Dwarf and Elvaan.”



Aj was about to speak again when someone came into the spring. Aj turned around still on the ground, as the others turned to look as well. Aj recognized the man named Bussa as he came running into the Healing Springs.



“You’re Majesty.” Bussa said a little shocked as he stopped realizing the King was there.



“What is..” Marsa stopped when he saw two stretchers coming in. “What happened?” The Elvaan asked quickly as he walked over to them and Aj stood up quickly. He looked at the one stretcher as it went by and there was a girl with brown hair on it. Her face was cut and bruised, her dress which Aj thought looked a lot like a dress the women wore in old England, was covered in blood, rips and dirt. Aj looked up as another stretcher was brought in.



“Oh Queen Evia.” Aj heard Marsa say as he watched the woman get carried passed him on a stretcher, she looked far worse than the other. “What happened?” Marsa demanded as he looked to Bussa.



“Johon attacked Hevi Sir.” Bussa said sadly. “My Commander says Princess Nalia, and Queen Evia were on their way here, when they got word, they turned around, headed back but it was too late, he had taken most of the capital by then.”



Aj watched Marsa as he went into one of the caves with Bussa and he looked at the other guys, who looked just as confused and even a little worried as he did. Aj looked back to the Healing Spring doors when he felt someone walk over to him.



“I am sure all of you would like to change, perhaps something to eat?” Avit asked as he stopped in front of Aj.



“Are they going to be ok?” Aj asked Avit as the guys huddled around them.



“I do not know.” Avit said with honesty to him.



“Who were they?” Nick asked as Aj looked at him.



“The girl was Princess Nalia; the other woman was her mother Queen Evia.” Avit said with a little sadness in his voice.



“Is that one of the girls?” Kevin asked pointing to the cave she went into.



“Yes.” Avit nodded. “There is nothing we can do here, shall I escort you back to the castle?” he asked again.



Aj nodded as the others agreed and they followed the General out of the Springs, giving the people their room to work. Aj stayed quiet as the others talked to Avit asked him questions about this place, about the war. He quickly looked to his right when he felt an arm on his shoulder.



“Are you alright?” Kevin asked as the two walked behind the others.



“I dunno.” Aj said with a shrug. “I still think I’m dreaming, pain or not.” Aj said looking at him.



“I don’t think you are dude, I don’t think we are. It’s all just a little too real.” Kevin said as he looked around.



“I’m not this Alexander from Pixcadia.” Aj said angerly. “I have a mom, a mom who raised me since I was baby, I have a father, although be it not the greatest but I still have one, I have memories, I am Alexander James Mclean.” Aj said as he stopped walking and Kevin turned to look at him.



“I know man, but I mean..” Aj cut him off.



“No.” Aj shouted. He then looked to Avit. “I want to go home now.”



“Well Sir we really need..” Aj cut him off too.



“I don’t care what you need, this is not my home, this is not where I belong, now send me home!” shouted as the people started staring even more now.



“Alex.” Kevin said putting his hand back on his band brothers’ shoulder. Aj pulled it away quickly and looked at everyone. He growled and took off down an ally. “I’ll go, you guys go eat and stuff.” Everyone nodded to Kevin and started walking back towards the castle as Kevin went down the ally.



Aj walked down the side streets, he could hear Kevin shouting for him a ways back but he didn’t care. At first he was ok, he was dreaming, hell he would have been ok if he was dead but being in some strange place, with Elvaan’s and Dwarves. Being told he was not who he thought he was, his mom wasn’t his mom, his dad wasn’t his dad. He growled as he turned the corner and slammed into someone, he fell back against the wall.



“Will you watch where you are walking?” Said a woman as Aj looked up. He saw a girl standing in front of him, a human girl, in a dark blue dress, a dress that looked like it belonged in old England, she had books in her hands, and she looked pissed.



“Sorry.” Aj said as he looked away and started walking again.



“Excuse me.” She said as she reached for him almost dropping the books in her hands. Aj stopped when he felt her hand grab his shirt. He looked at her as she looked him up and down.



“You are dressed funny.” She said looking at him.



“That’s what you stopped me for?” Aj asked his tone a little peeved. “Good to see public impression is the same here.” Aj said as he turned and walked away from her. He didn’t see the woman staring at him puzzled and shocked he had treated a Princess that way.



Aj made his way back to the castle he wasn’t sure how long he had been walking around for. His thoughts of the day were still racing around in his still throbbing head. It wasn’t that hard to find the castle, you could see it anywhere in the city, didn’t matter where you were. As he walked up to the doors, the guards nodded to him and opened one. He walked in and his eyes adjusted to the dark lobby.



“Sir Alexander.” Avit said a little relieved to see him. “Thank Pixca you are all right.”



“I’m fine I can take care of myself.” Aj said as he started walking down the lobby. “Where are my friends?” Aj asked as he stopped walking and Avit stopped along with him.



“They are in their rooms, shall I take you too them?” Avit asked. Aj was about to reply no, he didn’t want anyone around him, especially someone from here but he wanted to at least see the guys, maybe they figured out a way to get home.



“Sure.” Aj said with a sigh as he nodded for Avit to lead the way.



“Sir Marsa will be relieved you have returned.” Avit said as they walked up a long staircase.



“Well wouldn’t want to piss dad off and get grounded.” Aj mumbled as they reached the top of the stairs.



“Pardon?” Avit said as he stopped and looked at Aj.



“Nothin.” Aj said shaking his head. “Where are my friends?” he asked as he scratched the back of his ear, he notice his headache was going away.



“They are this way sir.” Avit said as he pointed down the left hallway. Aj nodded and they both started walking down the corridor. They walked passed about three doors and then stopped. “Your friends are in that room across the hall.” Avit said as Aj looked to the door that was across the hallway. “This is your room.”



“My room?” Aj asked. “Oh right because this is where I was born, of course I’d have my own room, tell maw and paw thanks.” Aj said with a slight roll of his eyes as he pushed on the door and opened it. Aj heard Avit sigh as he closed the door but he didn’t care. He locked the door from inside and turned around.



“Whoa.” Aj said as his eyes went a little wide. He looked around the room, a large fireplace sat against the right wall. “Yeah cause that’s not a fired hazard.” Aj said as he looked confused at the stone and mud fireplace. The room was quiet large, a couch sat in front of the fireplace, a desk sat to the front of the room, behind the desk was a giant stain glass window. As Aj sat down in the chair at the desk he looked to the bed which was now on the right side of him. It had four wooden posts almost touching the top of the ceiling. Curtains tightly wrapped around the post, and Aj knew at night you could pull them down.



“This is your room.” He heard Avit said in his head.



“My room.” He huffed as he dropped his hand onto the desk. A knock at the door made him look up quickly. Aj stared at it not sure what he should do, then he realized it could be the guys and the door was locked, so he stood up and walked over to it. Unlocking it, then turning the knob he pulled the some what heavy door open and saw Nick standing on the other side.



“Hey can I come in?” Nick asked.



“Sure.” Aj said as he stepped back and let him in. Nick walked over behind the couch and looked around.



“Damn, wonder if my room in Tokia looks like this?” Nick said as he saw the fire place. “Well that can’t be good.” Nick said pointing to it.



“I ain’t touchin it.” Aj said shaking his head lightly putting his hands up in defense.



“So you ok?” Nick asked as he leaned back on the top of the couch.



“I have no clue, I can’t grasp what is going on.” Aj sighed as he sat on the edge of the bed.



“I got to talk to the King of Tokia, where the.” He stopped. “The Dwarves are.” Aj couldn’t help but smile. “Do you believe them?”



“No.” Aj said shocked Nick would ask. “I’m dreaming.”



“Then what about me?” Nick asked.



“I don’t know, just some part I made up so I wouldn’t be the only one?” Aj asked. “My head hurts.” He sighed as he sat down not wanting to think about it.



“Everyone in the other room is freaking out. They want to go home too.” Nick said as he looked at the stain glass window. Aj noticed his tone, and the look on his face.



“You do to.” Aj said to him. “Don’t you?”



“Yeah.” Nick said nodding. “Of course.”



“Oh ok.” He said relaxing.



“But I dunno, don’t you want to stay and find out more about this place?” Nick asked.



“Maybe we’re both in a comma and we’re picking up on each others brainwaves, so we’re like dreaming this together.” Aj said looking up at him.



“Dude..” Nick said as his head dropped a little.



“Well it’s a lot more believable than were on some planet with Elves, Dwarves and Mages.” Aj said with a laugh.



“Yeah, a Mage, does that mean there’s Magic here?” Nick asked.



“Hell if I know.” Aj said shaking his head.



“That would be cool.” Nick said nodding.



“You’re awfully chipper over this.” Aj said looking up at Nick.



“I’m not chipper, I’m just not spazzing like you.” Nick said looking at him.



“I’m not spazzing.” Aj said defensively.



“Oh no, sorry my mistake it was someone else yelling in the middle of town today.” Nick said looking away, his eyes pulling away from Aj at the last minute. Aj shot Nick a look and looked away himself.



“Well this place ain’t that different from back home.” Aj sighed as he looked back to his friend.



“What do you mean?” Nick asked a little confused.



“When I was walking around town, this chick slams into me, or I slammed into her not sure, but I said sorry, and she stops me, looks me up and down and says ‘You’re dressed funny.”



“Well yeah, you are.” Nick said with a laugh.



“Dude.” Aj said it was his turn to shoot Nick a look.



“I mean to her, you’re wearing jeans and a T-shirt, do the people here look like the casual type?” Nick asked. Aj’s eyebrows frowned as he thought about it.



“Oh.” Aj said realizing maybe she didn’t mean it as an insult. “What are the fella’s doing now?”



“Trying to figure out how to leave, and convince these people we aren’t who they say we are.” Nick said. “Oh, plus changing into these snazzy outfits.” He said as he popped the collar on his dark green robe. Aj sighed a little in frustration as he realized he needed to change out of his some what bloodied clothes. “Kevin’s worried about the war, after those girls came in; he said one was a Queen.” Nick said as he watched Aj go behind the giant screen by the bed.



“Yeah.” Aj said remembering what Marsa said.



“Yeah well, he’s worried we’re going to get caught up in it.” Nick sighed.



“Did they say why they brought us here?” Aj asked. Nick stopped and thought about it.



“They said they brought us back, hoping it would help.” Nick said thinking.



“Help with what the war? How the hell can we help the war?” Aj asked as he walked out in a green robe like Nick’s but the material was thicker but still surprisingly light.



“Sing?” Nick asked with a shrug. “All we are saying is give peace a chance.” Nick sang as he swayed side to side. Aj gave him a quick shot in the stomach for being a smart ass as he walked back. “Ow.” Nick moaned as he bowled over. “Still a little tender.” He whined.



“Stop being a smart ass over this Nick.” Aj said turning around. “This is serious.”



“You sound like Kevin.” Nick said as he turned around. Aj started to walk over too him making a fist. “I’m being serious.” Nick said quickly back. “I mean it; I thought you would love a place like this.”



“Well you thought wrong, I want to go home, and just forget all of this.” Aj said as he stopped. Just then there was a knock at the door and Aj turned around.



“Come in!” Nick shouted.



“Dude.” Aj said spinning back around.



“What if it is the guys?” Nick said looking back at him defensively.



“Hello.” Said a man’s voice as Aj turned around. He saw King Adop standing at the door.



“Hi.” Aj said as his face fell in puzzlement wondering why he was here.



“I would like to introduce you to my daughter.” King Adop said with a light bow.



“uh.” Aj said as he watched the man turn to the door.



“Nice dude.” Nick whispered as he stepped up beside him. “Hope I get hooked up.”



“I hope it’s a Dwarf.” Aj whispered back and he watched as Nick’s face fall in horror. Aj laughed to himself as he turned back to the door and saw the King walking back in. His eyes drifted to the door as he saw a girl walk in. She was wearing a dark blue dress, much like the dress the girl was wearing in the town.



“The girl in town.” Aj thought to himself as she saw her walk in.



“Hi.” Aj said as she looked up at him, and he saw the shock on her face too.



“Oh, hello.” She said a little stunned.



“Alexander this is my daughter Rayne.” Adop said as Aj looked to him. “And this is Nickolas.” The guys smiled and nodded to her saying hello.



“May I know go see Nalia.” Rayne said turning to her father.



“Rayne, please.” Adop said and Aj could tell he was a little annoyed.



“But they would not let me see her at the Springs.” Rayne said looking at him.



Another knock on the door made Aj sigh as he walked passed King Adop and Princess Rayne. He grabbed the knob and opened the door. A man with bright heavy armor stood on the other side.



“I wish to speak to King Adop.” The man said sternly to Aj.



“Yes Rem what is it?” Adop asked as Aj turned and saw the King walking over. “Excuse me.” He said with a nod to Aj as he stepped into the hallway.



“Sure.” Aj said as he turned and walked away from the door. He looked up and saw Nick staring at the ceiling and Rayne staring at Nick.



“So you’re a Princess.” Aj said as he walked up too her.



“Yes.” She said turning her stare from Nick to him. “And now I know why you are dressed funny.” She replied. Aj looked at her for a minute not sure if she was insulting him, or being funny.



“You’re the one that said he was dressed funny?” Nick said looking at her. She looked at him very shocked as she saw his finger pointed out right at her. “What?” Nick asked as he saw her expression.



“You do not point at royalty.” Rayne said a little dumb founded.



“Oh, I’m sorry.” Nick said as he slowly pulled his finger in.



“Well I’m sorry I slammed into you the way I did, I wasn’t paying attention.” Aj said with a light smile.



“I guess neither was I.” she said with a sigh.



“What were you doing with all those books anyways?” Aj asked as Nick watched the two talk.



“They were spell books.” Rayne said.



“Spell books?” Aj and Nick said at the same time. “I knew it dude, I knew it!” Nick said excitedly. “You guys use magic don’t you?”



“Um, yes we do.” Rayne said a little puzzled.



“Nice.” Nick said with a nod. Aj looked at him and Nick shrugged not sure why Aj was shooting him a look.



“Is Nalia your friend?” Aj asked as he looked back too her.



“Yes.” Rayne nodded. “We’ve known each other since we were little ones.” Rayne said with a light smile. “We were even born on the same day.”



“Really?” Aj said a little surprised.



“Rayne?” said a man’s voice from the door. Nick and Aj looked as Rayne turned around and they saw Rem standing there. “Your father says you may go see Nalia now.”



“Thank you Rem.” Rayne said with a smile. The man nodded and then left.



“Dude I wanna learn magic.” Nick said slapping him on the arm.



“Can we use magic?” Aj asked looking to Rayne.



“I do not know, did they tell you your talent?” she asked.



“Talent?” Nick and Aj asked at the same time.



“That would be a no.” she sighed. “How about after dinner, we will go to the magic yards and I will show you what I can.” She said as Aj heard Nick giggle.



“Nice.” Nick said with a nod.



“Cool.” Aj said as he actually seemed interested.



“Now if you will excuse me, it was nice meeting you.” She said with a smile and nod.



“Yeah see ya later.” Nick said with a smile.



“Bye.” Aj said with a light wave. They watched as she turned around and walked out the door.



“She’s cute, put her in jeans and a tank top bet she’d be hot.” Nick said as he turned around and sat on the bed.



“You.” Aj said turning and looking at Nick. “Better not get beheaded for copin’ a feel from a Princess.” Nick’s face fell again as the realization came across his face.



“Keep forgetting this place is different.” Nick said with a light smile. “Kind of like England.”



“Kind of like middle earth.” Aj shrugged. “So real or are we dreaming?” Aj asked looking to Nick.



“Hell if I know dude, but she said we can blow stuff up with our hands and I wanna stick around until we do so.” Nick said with a smile.



“Carter.” Aj sighed.



“Maybe I can freeze stuff, be all like Arnold in Batman.” Nick said holding out his hand. “Chill.” He said in a horrible Austrian accent. “Chill.”



“Dork.” Aj said as he walked passed him and gave him a little shove. “How old are you?”



“Twenty Seven, but I feel like a kid.” Nick said with sarcasm.



“I hope I can freeze you, then I can get some adult time.” Aj said as he sat down in his chair. Nick laughed sarcastically as the door to Aj’s room opened.



“Hey.” Kevin said as the other guys walked in.



“Finally people my age.” Aj sighed as Nick rolled his eyes.



“So, what’s going on?” Kevin asked as he looked around.



“This is my room.” Aj said with a sarcastic smile.



“What’s with the..” Howie said pointing to the fire place.



“Don’t ask, don’t touch. I ain’t being responsible for this whole castle goin up.” Aj said as Kevin lightly laughed.



“Anyone know when we can eat I’m getting hungry.” Nick said as he sat on the bed.



“Dude I have a couch.” Aj said looking at him. Nick rolled his eyes and shook his head as he looked back to the guys.



“Find out anything new?” He asked.



“Nope.” Brian said sitting beside Kevin.



“They use Magic.” Aj said raising his eyebrows.



“They do?” Howie asked.



“Yeah.” Nick nodded as he stood up again. “This Princess came in.”



“Rayne.” Aj interrupted him. Nick looked at him funny. “Her name was Princess Rayne.”



“Right, well whatever.” Nick said shaking it off. Aj and Kevin shook their heads as he continued. “She said they used Magic’s and she was going to show us how after dinner.”



“Try too, she said she didn’t know if we could.” Aj said looking at him.



“Well if they use magics then they can just poof our asses back.” Kevin said standing up. “We should go to Marsa.”



“What now?” Nick said looking at him. “But Magic’s, pew pew.” Nick said poking his fingers out. Brian started laughing and so did Howie. It was contagious and soon they all were laughing.



“Fine.” Kevin said as they calmed down. “We’ll let the kid take a ride then we leave.”



Aj sat there looking at his friends, it was nice seeing them laugh and smile as they joked about where they were. He wondered if they were covering for the fact they were just as scared as he was and wanted to go home just as much as he did. He looked down at his fingers and wondered what it would be like to toss out a spell or two. He took a deep breath, and looked up again. His mind drifted to when Rayne had walked into the room. He didn’t see before how curly her hair was, pulled back around the sides. She was a small girl, thin, and couldn’t have been much taller than his mom. Her eyes were blue, as dark as her dress was. He laughed a little to himself not realizing he had paid so much attention to her to remember.



“Alex?” Kevin said as it broke him from his thought. He looked up and saw all the guys standing around staring at him.



“Yeah?” he asked not sure what they wanted.



“Servant said its dinner time.” Kevin said pointing to the door. Aj looked over and saw the Elvaan man standing in the doorway.



“Sweet I’m starving.” Aj said as he stood up and walked around his desk. Kevin looked to Brian with a raised eyebrow and Brian just shrugged.



“I hope the food is good.” Nick said as they followed the servant down the hall. “What if it’s like in Indy, and we have to eat monkey brains out of monkey heads.” Nick asked. Then he felt a slap up side the head. “Ow, Damn it Kevin.” He sighed without even looking.



“Do you ever think before you open that thing?” Kevin asked as Nick looked back to him.



“Do you ever close yours?” Nick shot back as he turned around.



“You better behave or Kevin will take away your magic fun.” Aj said as they stepped down the stairs.



“Yeah dude, nothing stopping us from leaving now.” Kevin said as they walked down the dinning room hallway.
Chapter 2 by VeeLynn
The Guardian Crusade

Volume I



Chapter 2



Aj stopped in front of the large wooden doors as the two guards that stood beside them pulled them open. When the servant in front of them walked into the dinning room Aj and his friends behind him followed. The room they walked into was large with windows lining the wall in front of them. A large dark wooden table sat in the middle of the room. There were already people standing at the table and they turned to look at the guys.



Aj saw Rossi, Adop and Rayne standing on the right side of the table. The servant walked them over to the empty seats across from the royalty. Just as the servant left, the doors on the opposite end of the room opened and King Marsa came into the room.



“Good evening everyone.” He said with a nod of his head. Everyone said hello except the guys not really sure what they should do. When the boys saw the others take their seats, they followed suit. “What is the final word Adop?” Marsa asked as Aj watched the servants serve the food.



“The land of Kalica is at a lost.” Adop said sadly as Aj looked at him.



“All of it?” Marsa said shocked.



“We barely got her highness and her daughter out.” Bussa said as everyone looked at him.



“What about Muli?” Rossi asked.



“Gone, it was hit at the same time.” Adop reported.



“How can his army be so large?” Rossi asked a little amazed. Aj looked to the other guys, and they were already looking at each other, a look of concern on all their faces.



“I do not know.” Adop sighed.



As the three Kings began talking Aj looked across the table. He saw Rayne look at the servant as she placed a plate of food in front of her. He watched as she stared at it and her expression made him frown a little.



“When can we go home?” Kevin asked and Aj looked up as everyone stopped talking.



“Go home?” Marsa asked a little confused.



“Yeah.” Kevin said with a nod. “If you haven’t noticed we don’t want to be here, so you can use your magic and send us home.”



“Alexander and Nickolas is that what you two want?” Marsa asked as he looked to each of the guys.



“Yes it’s what they want; they want to go home to their families, their friends.” Kevin said getting angry. Everyone at the table started arguing except Aj. He sat there staring at the untouched meal in front of him. Hearing the angry voices of the people around him, the thought of being here, the thought of home, it was too much for him and he got up from his chair. He walked out of the room no one noticing, or so he thought.



“Alexander?” a voice said from behind him and he turned around. He was shocked to see Rayne standing there by the dinning room door, the people still arguing inside. “Are you alright?” she asked as she folded her hands in front of her.



“I just needed to get away from all the fighting.” Aj said standing in the hallway looking over her shoulder at the dinning room doors.



“You do not want to be here?” she asked.



“No, this ain’t my home.” Aj said shaking his head. “I’m not this Alexander guy; I don’t know why they thought I was.”



“Father said that the spell might make you feel like things aren’t right.” She said as he looked at her. “He said in a couple of days, everything will start to feel familiar again.”



“But I’m not going to be here for a couple of days, we’re going home tonight.” Aj said with a light shake of his head.



“But the war..” Rayne said unsure.



“I’m sorry that you guys are going through a war, we have them where I’m from too, but I’m not this Alexander guy, I’m not Elvaan, and I’m not from here.” Aj said as he turned around and started walking.



A growl made him look up and he saw a wolf standing at the other end of the hall. Its coat was shinny, the white and grey fur looked like it was well kept for a wild animal. Aj stepped forward and the wolf dropped down a little and growled. He stopped dead as his heart began to race a little.



“What the hell.” Aj said as he slowly looked back to Rayne. “There’s a wolf, right there.” Aj said pointing to the animal.



“Yes.” Rayne nodded. “Her name is Paq.”



“She’s your pet?” Aj asked looking at her, his eyebrows raised a little in shock.



“Sort of, she is a spell, I can call her when I need her.” Rayne said as the dog began to walk towards them and it made Aj back up a little. “She will not hurt you, not unless I want her too.” He looked at her and a light smile came across his face.



“So then what’s with the wolf?” Aj asked.



“Making sure you did not leave before I was finished.” Rayne said and Aj titled his head a little. “I know how you feel, I only found out about who I am, who we are yesterday before father brought me here from Sarila.” Rayne told him. “I have a chance now to save my home, and my people. I know this is not your home, your people but what if it is, what if they are, can you leave knowing you could have helped us.” She stopped. Aj looked at her and then looked down as the wolf sat beside her.



“I don’t think. I’m not this Alexander.” Aj said to her again, and he kind of started feeling bad.



“Is there any way I can convince you and your friends to stay just a couple of days, to find out for sure, if your not I will personally make sure they send you all back to your home.” Rayne said as she stood in front of Aj. He looked at her, her blue eyes caught him and he saw desperation in her them.



“Uh.” Aj said not sure what to say. Just then the dinning room doors opened and Aj spun around quickly. He saw Kevin and the guys coming out, talking to each other. Spinning back around, Aj looked down to the wolf and she was gone.



“Alex man lets go.” Kevin said as Aj looked back to him, he looked pretty mad.



“What did they say?” Rayne asked him as Kevin approached them.



“They said they need to discuss it privately, so I’m giving them a couple of hours and that’s it.” He said as he started walking down the hall. Rayne turned around and looked back at Aj as Brian walked up to him and gently took him by the shoulder. He looked back at Rayne as they walked by her, he lightly smiled, and she lightly frowned. Aj tried to look back to see where she was going but he got turned around by Brian.



“So where did you go?” Brian asked as Aj turned back around.



“I had to get out of the room, everyone yelling.” Aj sighed as they crossed the front hallway.



“So what are we going to do for the next two hours since Magic is out.” Nick pouted as they walked up the stairs.



“oh!” Aj exclaimed as he snapped his fingers. “I saw some magic.”



“What?” The other four guys said as they stopped at the top of the stairs.



“Yeah.” Aj nodded. “When I was talking to Rayne I tried to leave and she stopped me.”



“How?” Kevin asked a little concern.



“She summoned a wolf, just popped up outta no where, like poof, I was all like what the fu.” Howie brought a hand up to his mouth and muffled the last word.



“Not here dude.” Howie said shaking his head lightly.



“A wolf?” Kevin asked confused.



“Yep, Ranye said her was Paq, I think.” Aj said with a shrug.



“Man, this sucks.” Nick said pouting again as he headed down the hallway to their room.



“So, where did you wanna meet?” Kevin asked as he rolled his eyes at Nick, looking back to the other guys.



“Let’s just go to your room, Nick’s gone for his nap there anyways.” Aj said as Howie, Brian, Kevin and himself headed down the hallway.



The guys laughed as they joked about Nick and his attitude. They reached the door and Kevin pulled it open. The guys walked into the room and saw Nick lying on the bed. He was on his back, his leg crossed his arms under his head.



“Are you going to be ok?” Brian asked as he stopped at the end of Nick’s bed.



“Maybe.” Nick said looking back at Brian.



“So what all did they say?” Aj asked as he shook his head a Nick.



“They want us to stay to help, they want to teach us how to use our talents.” Kevin stopped when Aj interrupted him.



“Talents?” He asked confused.



“Yeah it’s like your job, your magic job.” Nick said as he sat up quickly.



“Anyways.” Kevin said looking to Aj from Nick. “He said they want to teach us how to use our magic’s, so we can go to war, so we can fight this evil mage and save the world.” Kevin said waving his arms around a little.



“Wow they’re not asking much.” Aj huffed as he sat down on a bed.



“All I know is we’re not getting caught up in a war we have nothing to do with.” Kevin said as he sat down on the couch in the room.



“How do you know?” Nick said looking to Kevin and Aj looked at Nick.



“What?” Kevin said confused.



“Well you don’t know, what if they are right, what if we are who they say we are.” Nick said as he slid forward on his bed. “This place does use magic so you can’t sit there and say it’s impossible they did what hey did.”



“Seriously?” Kevin screeched shocked.



“I’m just saying, why don’t we do what Marsa said wait a couple of days, let them teach us, maybe it’ll prove to us they’re right.” Nick said to Kevin.



“Prove they’re right, I can’t believe you’re saying this.” Kevin said looking at him, his voice getting higher.



“I can’t believe you of all people want to walk away from a world, ours or not, that’s at war, when there’s something you can do to stop it.” Nick said as he stood up from the bed.



The room went quiet and Aj looked from Nick to Kevin, his mind racing. Nick had a point, and it was the same point Rayne made to him earlier. He saw the look on her face, the look in her eyes and he sighed as he remembered what she asked him.



“Maybe.” Aj said as he looked up at the others. “Maybe Nick has a point.”



“Alex.” Kevin said looking at him.



“Hey, I don’t like the idea of me being from here either. I’m not from here but if there’s a chance we can help then we should at least stick around long enough to find out.” Aj said as Kevin sat back in his chair.



“Yeah.” Nick nodded to Kevin in agreement. “Let’s just give them a couple of days.”



Kevin looked from Aj to Nick and then to the rest of the guys. Kevin turned a little in his chair as his eyebrows frowned in thought. Aj took a deep breath; he wasn’t sure what he was doing. He wanted to go home; he didn’t want to be from here but he couldn’t just walk away if there was something he could do.



“This is asinine.” Kevin sighed as he shook his head. Just then there was a knock at the door and Howie answered it. Aj felt himself sit up when he saw Rayne standing at the door as Howie stepped to the side.



“Hello.” She said with a light smile and a nod.



“Hey.” The other guys said in a somber tone, except Nick he was very happy to see her.



“I was wondering if you were still interested in going to the magic fields?” she asked as she looked around the room, stopping at Aj.



“Yes.” Nick said quickly before anyone else could answer. “Cause we’re staying for a bit, right guys?” He asked as he looked around the room. Aj saw a relief look come over her face as she looked from Nick to him. Aj turned to Kevin and looked at him. The oldest member took a deep breath.



“We’ll stay a couple of days, find out if we can really help, I don’t even know what we will do if we can, but if we can’t we are out of here.” Kevin said looking at her.



“I will see to it personally.” She replied with a nod.



“Nice, let’s go to these magic fields.” Nick said clapping his hands together.



Aj looked to Kevin and he was smiling at Nick as he stood up. Aj fixed his robe as he stepped down from the bed and over to the door. The guys filed out of the room and he was the last one out, closing the door behind him.



“So what kind of magic will we be learning?” Nick asked as they followed Rayne down the hall.



“I have asked a Mage from the Council to join us.” Rayne said.



“What’s the Council?” Howie asked.



“It is where Mage’s go to learn their spells and about their talent.” Rayne replied.



“Like a school.” Nick said happy he understood. “but why a Mage?”



“They see magical energies and can read the talents of people.” Rayne explained. “Once we find out your talents we can show you some spells.”



“We?” Kevin asked as they reached the bottom of the stairs.



“Does this mean you will stay?” Marsa asked as the guys saw him, Rossi and Adop standing near the castle doors.



“Only for a couple of days, find out if we can help, but we are going home.” Kevin said as everyone stood in the hallway.



“Then follow me.” Marsa said as they walked towards the castle doors.



Aj looked around as they walked through the city, going to a part he had hadn’t seen yet. There seemed to be larger buildings, with many floors, and court yards. They walked passed a fountain in the middle of the court yard when he felt someone beside him; he looked to his left and saw Rayne there.



“Thank you.” She said to him with a light smile.



“For?” he asked unsure.



“For convincing your friends to stay.” She said with a light smile.



“Oh, well that wasn’t all me, Nick helped.” Aj said as Nick looked back over his shoulder at him with his eyebrow raised. “So,” Aj said changing the topic quickly. “What Talent are you?”



“Oh, I am a Druid.” She said as Nick stopped walking to let them catch up.



“What’s a Druid?” Nick asked.



“We are mages of Nature. We use her energies to fight and protect.” Rayne explained as they followed everyone.



“So the wolf.” Aj said looking at her.



“I learned that in my tenth year at the Council, it took me a couple of days to meet the spirit.” She said remembering.



“A spirit?” Nick asked.



“As a Druid we respect Nature, and are grateful to the gifts she provides for us, it was a trial, to prove to her that I was worthy of her trust.” Rayne said as Aj looked up and they walked into an open field.



“I bet Kevin’s a Druid.” Nick said looking at Aj and he couldn’t help but laugh.



“Is this it?” Aj asked when he noticed the group had stopped.



Yes.” Rayne nodded.



“It doesn’t look very magical.” Nick said looking around.



“Nothing magically about it, it is a place to practice.” Rayne said as Marsa turned around.



“Ah, here comes the Mage.” Marsa said as looked down the right field. There were stacks of hay, targets on tall stands of hay, fake people made of hay. When the young Mage had greeted them Marsa stood in front of everyone.



“So who goes first?” Nick asked as he looked around.



“How are the energies?” Marsa asked as he looked to the man beside him.



“They are strong.” The man replied.



“In all”? Marsa asked.



“Yes sir.” The man nodded. “Especially those two.” The man said pointing to Aj and Nick.



“Good.” Marsa said with a nod as the guys looked to Aj. He shrugged lightly and they looked back to Marsa. “So what do you see?” the Elvaan asked as the man began to walk around the guys.



“I see light in this one.” The Mage said as he looked at Brian.



“Light that’s good right?” Brian asked looking to Marsa. “That’s good right?” he asked looking to the Mage.



“His light pure, he is a Priest.” The Mage said looking to Marsa.



“Wonderful.” Marsa said with a smile.



“A Priest?” Brian said with a little frown. “Well that’s not very original.”



“What does a Priest do?” Kevin asked.



“He is a healer the only talent purely concentrated on healing, the well being of others, even above his own.” Marsa replied. “You can cure people’s wounds, you can cure their diseases and poisons, and sometimes, if there is enough, you can bring back a fallen ally.”



“Like bring someone back to life?” Brian asked shocked.



“Yes, but it doesn’t always work.” Marsa said. “We can not take life for granted.” Aj looked over to Rayne when he heard a sigh and he saw a frown on her face.



“This one is a Ranger.” The Mage said as he stood in front of Howie.



“Ranger?” Howie asked looking to Marsa unsure.



“Ranger Howie.” Nick said thinking.



“A Ranger is like a scout, you can see far, and hear very well, you can see better than others at night, you are well equipped with a bow and arrow, or a crossbow.” Rayne said as they looked to her.



“Sweet.” Howie said with a nod. “But how come I didn’t notice before, or even now.” Howie said looking around.



“You must train your eyes and ears, you will see.” Marsa said with a smile.



“Ok so I’m imtregued what am I?” Kevin asked as he turned to the Mage. The young man walked over too him and scanned him. Aj watched as the Mage walked around him in a circle. “I see light.” The man said thinking.



“A Priest?” Nick said confused, even Aj looked at Kevin a little confused.



“No, his light is different, it is not pure.” The Mage said.



“I knew it!” Nick said pointing to Kevin.



“Dude.” Kevin said as he shot a look to Nick.



“Then he is a Paladin?” Marsa asked the Mage. The Mage nodded. “A fighter of good, you have the spells of a Priest but the strength of a Warrior.”



“Cool.” Kevin said nodding.



“So that leaves us.” Nick said looking at the Mage. The Mage turned around and looked at Nick and Aj.



“Well this is interesting.” The Mage said as he stopped at Nick and then looked to Aj. He turned to Marsa. “They are the two most strongest Talents.”



“Really?” Marsa said with a light smile.



“So what are they?” Brian asked as he looked at the guys nervously.



“This one.” The Mage said pointing to Nick “is a Warlock.”



“A Lock.” Rayne said with shock.



“What’s that?” Nick asked her.



“They use dark magic’s and they can summon Orcs and Goblins.” Rayne said as a huge smile crawled across Nicks face.



“Oh yeah.” Nick nodded. “That’s sic.” Nick said looking to Aj.



“And Alexander?” Rayne asked as Aj looked at her.



“He is a Mage.” The young man said with a smile. Aj looked back to Rayne and she lightly smiled at him.



“So what does he do?” Kevin asked.



“He can use the elemental energies around him, he can cast Fire, Ice, Water, and Lightening Magic, also depending on how strong he is, he may be able to teleport,” Rayne explained.



“Teleport?” Aj asked unsure. “You mean like one sec I’m here the next second I’m way over there.” He pointed to the other side of the field.



“Or in Sarila, or Tokia, where ever you wish, but the further you go, the more strength and energy the spell takes from you.” Rayne warn him.



“Sweet.” Aj said with a nod.



“Well I be a Paladin, so come with me boy, and I will teach ye the basics.” Rossi said as he walked over to Kevin.



“ and I am a Warlock.” King Adop said as he looked to Nick.



“Cool can I summon a goblin?” Nick asked as he walked over to him.



“I will go get a Priest and a Ranger and then return.” The Mage said to Marsa. The King nodded and the Mage left as he headed towards a building.



A loud cackle, from their right, made everyone turn and look as they saw Nick in the right field laughing. Aj looked to Howie and Brian confused, and they just shrugged back at him. Nick looked over and waved.



“Check this out!” He shouted and turned to face the tall stack of hay. He lifted his arm and held out his hand, the guys watched a waited then out of no where a purple stream shot from his fingers and consumed the hay stack.



“Whoa.” Howie, Brian, and Aj said as their eyebrows shot up.



“What was that?” Aj asked looking to Rayne quickly.



“It’s a Shadow Flame.” Rayne said as they looked back to Nick as he let another one fly and another cackle wail.



“Glad he’s having fun.” Aj said as he looked over to Kevin. He lightly smiled at the sight of Kevin practicing his sword attacks. Turning his head to the left he saw the Mage coming with two other people behind him, a male and female. “Looks like we’re up.” Aj said turning to Howie and Brian. The guys turned around and saw the people walking towards them. Aj watched as Howie went with the female Ranger and Brian went with the Priest.



“If you will follow me.” The Mage said as he pointed towards the field by Nick.



“You wanna come watch?” Aj asked as he turned to Rayne.



“Actually I need to be heading back to the Castle; I need to check on Nalia.” Rayne said with a light smile. “I will see you at breakfast tomorrow.”



“Ok.” Aj said as a feeling of him not wanting her to go came over him. She lightly smiled again and the Mage bowed to her as she said goodbye to him. He watched as she walked down the path and headed towards the castle.



“Shall we?” the Mage asked. Aj lightly smiled and nodded as he let the Mage guide him over to a stack of hay like Nick’s.



Aj stood there as the Mage explained to him how to perform a Flame spell. When he was done explaining he told Aj how to clear his mind so he could perform a spell and how to tap into the energies around you. For some reason Aj was taking it all in, like it was second nature. He wasn’t confused or lost, he understood perfectly.



“Nice dude!” Nick shouted as Aj set the hay on fire. Aj couldn’t help but smile as he turned back around and looked at the burnt hay. After a few more Flame spells, the Mage taught Aj the Water, Ice, and Lightening spell.



“Practice those for the next couple of days and then I will teach you more.” The Mage said as they walked back to the other guys who had gathered in the middle of the field.



“More, there’s more?” Aj asked.



“Yes.” The young man nodded. “There is the Teleportation spell, although that you will not be able to do right away.” He said looking at him as they stopped at the guys. “There are the Ancient magic’s you must know and understand, although you won’t be able to perform those, no one can anymore, and your Ice trap spell which I can teach you tomorrow if you like.”



“Ice Trap?” Aj asked the Mage.



“Yes, it is a spell for defense it freezes anything within a certain area of you, you can then flee if you must or finish them off.” He replied.



“Cool.” Aj said nodding.



“I need sleep.” Kevin said looking to the guys.



“Yeah this has been one long and weird day.” Brian said as everyone started heading to the castle.



Aj and the guys followed the Kings to the castle, although Aj was pretty sure he was getting the lay of the place. He watched as the castle doors opened and then followed everyone in. When they reached the lobby Marsa turned around.



“This is where we part, I am sure you know the way to your rooms?” he asked



“Yeah we’re good.” Nick said with a nod. Marsa smiled and Aj could tell he was a little puzzled about what Nick had said.



“I don’t know it was so weird.” Howie said as Aj tuned back into the conversation that was going on as they walked up the stairs. “One minute everything was normal, but as I actually concentrated on looking or listening, I could hear and see everything.”



“I know same here.” Kevin said as they stepped onto the second floor. “At first I couldn’t get it, I was confused, but as I concentrated more it came to me.”



“I didn’t have any troubles.” Aj said as the stopped by their rooms.



“Really?” Howie asked looking at him.



“Yeah.” Aj shrugged.



“Well you were popping off spells like there was no tomorrow.” Nick said turning to him.



“Just basic spells.” Aj shrugged. “At least that’s what the Mage said.”



“I didn’t see any goblins coming from you.” Kevin said as he opened the door.



“No they said I will learn it later, when I’m stronger.” Nick pouted as they walked into the room.



“Are you coming in?” Kevin asked as he looked at Aj.



“Naw, I think I just want to chill by myself for a little.” Aj said as he shook his head. “Knock on the door in the morning when you get up.”



“Alright.” Kevin said with a nod as Aj lightly smiled and headed down to his door.



Aj took a deep breath as he walked up to the door and put his hand on the knob, as he turned it, he heard someone call out to him. He pushed the door open and turned to see Rayne walking down the hall.



“Hey.” Aj said as she stopped in front of him.



“Hello.” She replied. “I was hoping to catch you before you retired for the night.”



“Oh?” Aj said a little confused.



“Just wanted to see how your spell training went.” She asked as he walked into his room and held out her arm for her to come in. “Thank you.” She said with a light nod as she walked in.



“It was alright, a little weird I guess, not everyday I shoot Ice from my fingers.” Aj said as he sat down against is desk.



“You did not have magic where you came from?” she asked.



“Nope.” Aj said shaking his head lightly. “I mean there was lore about it, people believe we use to but forgot how, I dunno.” He said with a light shrug.



“Then I guess this really is quite over whelming for you then.” Rayne said as she sat down on the couch.



“Yep.” Aj said as he stood up from the desk. “What about you, didn’t you say you just found out too?” Aj asked as he joined her on the couch.



“Yes.” She nodded. “Father told me before we came that I was one of four Guardians.” Rayne said as she looked at him. “I had grown up learning the word in Council, but I never thought it would have been me.” Aj turned and looked at her. He noticed she had a look on her face much like he felt.



“So if it’s Nick, you, and I then who’s the other one?” Aj asked.



“Nalia, my friend.” Rayne replied.



“The one they brought into the springs?” Aj asked.



“Yes.” Rayne nodded.



“Is she ok?” Aj asked.



“Oh yes.” Rayne nodded. “She has been in her room resting.”



“And that lady was her mom?” Aj asked.



“Yes.” Rayne replied. “She is alright as well.”



The two of them sat in silence for a minute, the sound from outside quiet, with the odd chirp from a bird. He looked to the window and then looked back to Rayne. She was frowning as she played with a small part of her dress.



“Everything ok?” Aj asked when he saw her face.



“Pardon?” she said looking up at him. “Oh, yes I am fine.” She said with a light smile.



“Doesn’t look like it.” Aj said as he positioned himself on the couch to face her.



“I was just thinking.” She said quietly as she let go of her dress.



“About?” He asked after she didn’t say anything. She turned her head and looked at him.



“If you and Nickolas go home, what will happen to us?” Rayne said as she looked at him.



“I’m sure you guys will be fine, there’s still you and Nalia.” Aj replied.



“Yes, but if we are going by the word of Pixca, we need all of us here.” Rayne said as she looked away.



“You know everyone has told me that I’m this Alexander guy, but no one has told me exactly what this word is we’re supposed to follow.” Aj said too her. “Like who is Pixca why do you guys follow what they say.”



“Pixca is our creator; she gave us our world, land, lives and magic.” Rayne said as he looked at her.



“So why doesn’t she help then?” Aj asked.



“Do you have a creator where you are from?” She asked.



“Yeah we do.” Aj said with a light smile. “Ok so I get that.” She lightly smiled as she looked to the fire place.



“It is only a matter of time, before Johon will attack Sarila.” Rayne sighed as she looked back to Aj. “I heard Father talking to Rossi earlier tonight. They still are not sure how his army is growing so fast.”



“Could it be magic?” Aj asked.



“You mean he is creating his army with Magic?” she asked and he nodded. “That is a possibility but I have never heard of such a spell, and I do not think Father and the others have as well, or Father would have said something.”



“Where’s your mom?” Aj asked out of the blue.



“My mother?” she asked a little confused where the question came from.



“Yeah.” Aj nodded.



“She died.” Rayne said sadly. “A year ago.”



“Oh, I’m sorry.” Aj said as he looked away a little embarrassed.



“It is alright.” Rayne said as he looked back and she lightly smiled. “She was visiting Pomic when it was attacked.”



“Attacked, you mean by that Mage guy?” Aj asked.



“Yes.” Rayne nodded. “She was there with Queen Tas, Princess Nati, and Prince Dyn.” She looked at Aj and noticed he looked confused. “Queen Tas was the wife of Marsa, Nati was their daughter and Dyn was their son. They also died that day.”



“So, that means they were, I mean if this word is true, then they were..” Aj stopped it was a little weird to say.



“They were your mother, brother and sister.” Rayne replied, not sure if she was supposed too.



“Right.” Aj said quietly looking away. “You all seem like you have lost a lot because of this Johon.”



“We have, and now that Kalica is completely gone.” Rayne said sadly. “I know Sarila will be next.”



“How do you know that?” Aj asked.



“Because it was Father and King Colim who ignored the word, and now they are the ones suffering because of it.” Rayne replied sadly.



“And if he does what will you do?” Aj asked as he watched her stand up.



“Defend it till my last breath.” Rayne said as she looked back at him. “This is my home, and I will do what I must to protect it. Guardian or not.”



Aj stood up and walked with her over to the door, when they reached it she stopped and looked at him. He hadn’t notice how curly her hair was, long ring locks fell down her shoulder, her bangs pulled back, a small diamond crown hitting near the tip of her head.



“If you do want to go home, I ask you leave soon.” She said as he looked at her a little shocked. “The longer you stay the more hope the people, my Father, the other Kings.” She stopped for a moment. “and even myself will get, and then just to turn around and have you leave, would be devastating.” She looked at him and saw the long face. “Oh, I am sorry, I did not mean it like that.”



“I know.” Aj said with a light smile. “You know you’re the only one who hasn’t actually pushed me to accept this.” Aj said as she looked at him a little confused. “Everyone is all like, your Alexander so accept it and do what you’re suppose too.”



“Well I do understand what it is like to all of a sudden have the weight of the world on your shoulders.” Rayne said with a light smile. Aj smiled back as he opened the door for her. “I will see you at breakfast”



“You bet.” Aj nodded as she walked out of the room.



“Then till tomorrow.” Rayne said with a soft smile.



“Bye.” Aj said with a light smile as she turned around and walked down the hall. He watched her for a moment and then closed the door as he walked into his room. Her words floating in his head, he sighed as he sat down on the edge of the bed.



“What if.” He said out loud as he looked around the room. “What if this really is my home.” He growled as he crawled onto the bed over to his pillows. “Bah Mclean, get some sleep.”





Rayne walked down the hall towards her room. She had just left Alexander’s room, and she couldn’t help but smile. Reaching for the door knob she stopped when she heard someone approach. Turning around she was a little startled to see her Father standing there.



“Hello.” She said as she looked up at him. “I was just retiring to my room.”



“You were with Alexander.” Adop said to her stopping her from going into her room.



“Only briefly.” Rayne said looking at him a little confused. “I wanted to see how his training went.”



“In his bed chambers at night?” the man asked.



“Father.” Rayne said a shocked.



“You are my only child, a child that I turned my back on Pixca for.” Adop said looking at her sternly. “I only want what is best for you.”



“I know.” She said quietly.



“Alexander feels he doesn’t belong, and it is only a matter of time before he goes home, he will leave us here, and he will leave you here.” Adop said and Rayne looked at him about to protest at the insinuation of her and Alexander. “Nickolas will follow, and it will be up to you and Nalia to save us.”



“Yes Father.” Rayne said with a small frowned.



“Now, why do you not go get some sleep?” Adop said as he took her by the arms and lightly kissed her forehead. She smiled at him and turned around, opening her door as she walked in.



Adop stood there after the door had closed, staring at it in thought. He didn’t move when he heard the man approach him from his left side. Slowly Adop turned around and saw his Guardian standing there.



“I hope I did not see what I thought I saw.” Rem said as Adop looked up at him.



“Which would be?” Adop asked as he walked into his room Rem closing the door behind him.



“Which would be, Rayne and Alexander alone in his room.” Rem replied.



“I have already talked to her.” Adop said as he walked passed his Guardian.



“They must not be together, nor Nalia and Nickolas.” Rem said as he quickly walked in front of Adop, showing authority. Something a Guardian or General or Commander would never do. “You saw what happened to Kalica, to her people, to Colim, your wife, Marsa’s family.” Rem smiled at Adop, a smile that made the King feel uncomfortable. “You do not want that for your daughter, this world, almost took her away from you, for what?”



“I know Rem.” Adop said looking at him. “What is Johon’s next move.”



“He wants Drisel.” Rem replied.



“What do you mean; the deal was he would take Tokia and Winnol, along with Kalica.” Adop said looking at Rem confused. “I was to keep Sarila.”



“But things have changed, Alexander and Nickolas are here.” Rem said to him a little angry. “No, the plans have changed, Johon will attack Drisel tomorrow, you will stepped down from the thrown, and give him Sarila but before you do.” Rem said as he turned around and looked at Adop. “You will perform on last duty as King.”



“And what is that?” Adop asked with a light scoff, this was not part of his deal, he had made with Johon.



“You will give Johon your daughters hand in marriage.” Rem said with a small smile.



“You want me to what?” Adop said stunned.



“You will give Rayne to Johon, and for this your life shall be spared.” Rem said looking at him. “Make sure Rayne is ready in the morning, we must be in Drisel before night fall, and we leave before breakfast.” Rem said as he walked over to the door. He stopped his hand before it reached the knob. “Her and Alexander must not be together.”



Adop stood in the middle of the room staring at the door as it closed shut. His face had fallen and he knew he was well over his head now. All he wanted was a safe place for her too live in, a safe place where he could watch her live, and now, well now he had just thrown her into the lion’s mouth.
Chapter 3 by VeeLynn
The Guardian Crusade

Volume I



Chapter 3



Rayne was rushed down the back castle stairs her father in front of her. She wasn’t sure what was going on. A servant had come into her room in the morning and told her that her Father wanted her up and dressed for they were leaving for Sarila.



“Father please I do not understand what is going on.” Rayne said as they walked out to the harbor.



“Rayne I told you we shall discuss this when we set sail, right now we must hurry.” Adop said as Rayne looked up and saw Sarila’s commanding ship.



It was made of wood as all ships were. The Lexcar as it was named had been the commanding ship for her kingdom for a while now. The mussels and slime that clung to the wood from years of sitting in water, made the ship look weaker than she actually was. It stood tall out of the water and as she looked up she saw the cannon holes were empty and she could see the sailors running around inside getting the ship in sailing order. The massive dark blue sails flapped in the wind, wearing the country’s symbol proudly.



“We are ready to set sail your Majesty.” Rayne heard the captain say to her Father.



Adop!” she heard someone shout and she turned to the voice as her Father did.



“Marsa I am sorry but I need to go.” Adop said raising his hand. “With Kalica gone, I need to be with my people, I need to be there.”



“But does Rayne, are you sure you want to put her in that kind of danger?” Marsa asked as the old Elvaan stopped in front of them.



“I can protect her better if she is with me.” Adop said as he motioned for Rayne to go onto the ship.



“I can stay here Father; I can help Alexander and Nickolas.” She was cut off by her Fathers loud stern tone.



“No!” He said turning to her. She looked at him shocked and confused. “Just ease an old mans heart and go onto the boat.” He told her. With one last look to Marsa and to her Father, she picked up her dress a little and walked up the plank. When she reached the ship she stopped and stood by the railing.



“Adop what is going on?” Marsa asked as Adop turned and looked at him. “We have been friends for years, so I do know when you are hiding something.”



“I am not.” Adop said defensive. “You are a King, Marsa you know where my loyalties lie, and I can not sit here and wait for those boys to make up their minds, minds that are already made up.”



“They have just arrived if you give them.” Marsa was cut off.



“Your Majesty we are ready.” Rem said.



Rayne looked to her left and saw her Fathers Guardian standing beside her. He always made her feel uneasy, the way he looked at her, and the way he presented himself.



“Very well Rem.” Adop said as he turned and headed up the plank.



“Adop I beg you reconsider, leave her here with the others.” Marsa yelled over the noise of the crew preparing the ship.



Rayne looked at her Father as he ignored Marsa and walked with Rem across the ship. When she felt the ship jerk she looked back to Marsa and saw them pulling away from the dock. The Elvaan was looking at her with great concern, something was telling her she shouldn’t go and his look made it even stronger but her Father wanted her at home.





Marsa watched as the ship pulled out of his harbor, the sails grabbing the wind and pushing the ship faster out to the vast water outside of the cave. He frowned, not sure what his friend was up to but he knew it wasn’t good.



“Avit?” Marsa said to his General.



“Yes your Majesty?” Avit asked.



“Send out a Gryphon Flyer, tell them to follow the ship at a safe distance, report to me if anything happens.” Marsa said as he looked to Avit.



“Yes sir.” Avit nodded as he turned around and headed down the docks.







Aj walked down the hall towards the dinning room. The servant had come up to is room and told him breakfast was served. He went to get the guys but they weren’t in their rooms, so he figured they already went down. As the doors opened he saw he was correct when he saw the other guys standing by the table chairs.



“Hey.” Aj nodded to them as he walked passed them. “What’s going on?”



“Just waiting for the Royalty to get here.” Kevin said with a light smile.



“One of the servants said Princess Nalia and Queen Evia will be joining us.” Nick said as he looked to Aj beside him.



“Cool.” Aj said with a nod. Just then the back doors opened and they saw the girl and woman they had seen in the Healing Springs, although they were in much better condition now.



“Hello.” The woman said with a curtsy. “I am Queen Evia, it is a great honor to meet you.” The guys bowed back, something they were told to do to Royalty, although they kind of already knew that. “And this is my daughter Princess Nalia.” The girl curtsied as well and the guys returned with a bow.



Aj looked at Nalia, she looked much different than Rayne. Her hair was a dark chocolate brown, her eyes the same colour as her hair. She was much taller than Rayne and she seemed to carry herself more like a Princess than Rayne did.



“Where are Rayne and her Father?” Aj asked as the servants started to serve them breakfast.



“Her Father has taken her home.” Evia said and as Aj looked up at her, he saw the distressed look on her face.



“How come, isn’t their land on the brink of war?” Kevin asked as Aj looked over to him.



“Yes they are, and Adop feels he can protect her better from there.” Evia said as she looked back down at her plate. Aj was about to say something when the side doors opened and Marsa walked in.



“So very sorry I am late.” He said with a light bow before sitting down.



“Quiet alright Marsa.” Evia said with a smile. “Any word?”



“No.” Marsa replied a little breathless as he picked up his plate.



“I thought the whole point was to keep us together?” Nick asked as the table looked at him. Aj watched as Nick looked around at all the faces staring back at him. “Well, if we are who you all say we are, and we’re supposed to be together, why did he take her away?”



There was a long quiet pause and Aj wondered what was going on. He looked to Evia, Nalia, and Marsa. They all looked sad and unsure. Aj noticed the room got a very heavy feeling and he knew something was wrong.



“Alright what’s going on?” Aj asked as he set down his fork.



“Pardon?” Marsa said as he quickly looked up.



“First it was very important for the four of us to stay together, hence why Nick and I are here. Where is Rayne and why did her dad take her?” Aj said an even he notice the demand in his voice.



“I am not sure why Adop has taken her.” Marsa said with a sigh. “But I feel it is not for her safety.”



“So what are you doing about it?” Aj asked as Kevin took his arm.



“Dude.” Kevin said looking at him a little shocked and unsure.



Marsa was about to answer Aj when the doors to the front hallway swung open and a tall Elvaan, with long black hair, sharp blue eyes and decked out in full leather armor walked in. Aj noticed the symbol on the front of his chest piece, it had the tree he had seen everywhere, but a weird bird in the middle of the vest.



“Sir Soula, you have something to report?” Marsa asked and Aj didn’t need to look at him to know he was worried.



“Yes Sir.” The man nodded. Aj saw the man look around the room at him and his friends.



“It is alright Soula they have much of a right as I do.” Marsa told the Elvaan. The man nodded and began to speak.



“I was flying high above them, nothing but a gryphon in the sky. I was about to pull back and swoop around in front of them looking like a fly over, when..” The man stopped and everyone’s eyes were stuck on him. “I saw a ship that looked like a ship from Kalica but it was sailing the colours of Johon.”



“What happened?” Marsa asked with worry.



“Did they attack?” Evia asked as Aj looked from Marsa to the Elvaan man.



“No, they did not.” The Elvaan shook his head. “The ship pulled up along side The Lexcar, they pulled out a plank, and Johon boarded.”



“With no resistance?” Marsa asked a little confused.



“None Sir.” The man said.



“Then this means..” Evia said looking to Marsa as she stood up.



“It can not be, Adop is King..he..” Marsa said and Aj watched as he slowly stood up.



“He has betrayed us Marsa.” Evia said as the Elvaan King, Aj and everyone looked up at her. “And it all makes sense now, how Johon had such big army’s, how he took Kalica so easily, how he..” Evia stopped and she clenched her fist. “How Johon knew about the meeting Colim was having in Pomic.”



“Mother..” Nalia said looking up to her mom.



“We must do something Marsa.” Evia said as she looked to Marsa. Aj looked down at his plate. He started feeling a little weird, like something was wrong but what could be wrong.



“Soula?” Marsa said looking up breaking Aj from his thoughts. “Prepare the flyers, if we fly hard and fast you can catch the ships. We’ll bring her back, we have too.”



“Yes your majesty.” Soula said with a nod. Aj watched as the Elvaan nodded and the feeling he was getting got stronger, he felt himself starting to panic. He hadn’t felt like this in a long time, but why here, why now? He heard the doors open and looked over seeing Soula leaving the room. His feeling got worse, almost taking his breath away. It started to sink in why he was feeling this way.



“Wait.” Aj said quickly as he stood up. “I’m going.”



“What?!” Kevin, Brian, Nick, and Howie said as they looked up at him. “Ah, baby no, you can stay right here.” Kevin said pulling him down to the chair.



“No I have to go.” Aj said standing back up.



“What do you mean you have to go?” Brian asked confused.



“I don’t know, it’s a feeling, I guess, I just know I need to go.” Aj said as he stepped away from the chair.



“Alexander are you sure?” Marsa asked.



“Yes.” Aj said with a nod.



“I don’t believe this.” Kevin sighed throwing his hands in the air. “Well you’re not going alone.” Kevin said as he stood up.



“Well if you’re going, then I’m going.” Nick said standing up too.



“I’m not flying.” Brian said shaking his head. “What is a Gryphon anyways?”



“It’s a type of bird we have here in Pixcadia.” Marsa said.



“A bird?” Brian said as his jaw dropped. “Yeah, so not flying, you all have fun.” Aj smiled a little when Brian smacked Nick who was laughing at Brian’s comment.



“Well I’ll stay here with Brian then.” Howie said with a shrug. Then Aj felt something grab his arm.



“Dude what are you doing?” Kevin asked as Aj turned around and saw it was him, who had grabbed his arm.



“What do you mean?” Aj asked.



“Duh, dude, what’s with the Prince Charming crap?” Kevin asked. Then his face dropped a little. “Oh you better not be getting feelings, we’re leaving remember.”



“No.” Aj scoffed at Kevin. “I told you, just this feeling I got, something telling me to go, and the way this place is, maybe I shouldn’t ignore it.”



“We should get going.” Marsa said as he approached the two guys, and Aj was glad. He was pretty sure Kevin was ready to unleash on him. Aj pulled out of Kevin’s grip and headed towards the dinning room doors.



“Hey.” Brian said from behind them and Kevin, Nick and Aj turned to look at him. “Be careful, we still need to get home.” Everyone lightly smiled at him and then left the room.



“So Johon just stayed on the Sarila’s ship?” Marsa asked as the men walked down the hallway.



“Yes sir and then his ship took lead.” The Flyer said as they approached a large wooden door.



“Took lead?” Marsa said stunned as he stopped dead, Nick almost slamming into him from behind.



“Yes your Majesty.” Soula said.



“I take it that’s not good?” Kevin asked.



“It means the ship has surrendered doesn’t it?” Nick said as Marsa turned and looked at him.



“Yes.” Marsa said and Aj heard the stunned tone in his voice. “You know this?”



“Well, I sail back home, well not in a while but I use too and yeah just figured.” Nick said with a shrug. Aj looked back to Marsa quickly when the King laughed lightly. The Elvaan said nothing and turned back around leading the guys towards the door again. Aj looked over to Nick and his friend just shrugged, just as confused as he was.



“Then it is far worse than I feared.” Marsa sighed as Soula opened the doors for him.



“What will we do when we get to the ships?” Kevin asked as they walked outside.



“We will get back Princess Rayne.” Marsa said a little shocked Kevin asked.



“How?” Kevin asked as he stopped.



“We fight, use magic, I am certain that Adop’s mean will give little resistance. You’ll just need to worry about Johon’s men, I will worry about Johon.” Marsa said turning back around. Everyone stayed quiet as they walked over to a large building. Aj looked up quickly when he heard loud squawking noises above him. The sun was cutting over the trees and blocking his sight from seeing anything above him.



“What was that?” Nick asked as Aj looked down and realized the other guys were looking up too.



“It was the Gryphon’s.” Marsa said as Soula opened the door.



“Oh.” Nick said. “Are these like Gryphon, Gryphon’s?”



“What?” Kevin said looking back at Nick with an annoyed look on his face.



“You know Gryphon’s from the movies, or middle earth, half bird, half beast.” Nick said looking back at Marsa.



“They are half bird yes, and they are half dragon.” Marsa said as they walked up a spiral staircase. The building was made of stone, there was hay everywhere, wooden boxes stacked neatly along walls, barrels shelved in big wine racks.



“Dragon?” Nick said with a squeal. Marsa nodded and Nick giggled. “Dude, so cool.” Nick said smiling a little as he looked at Kevin. Aj had to admit, it was pretty cool sounding.



The voices of everyone else talking started to disappear, his mind thinking about this place. He wasn’t as freaked when he woke up this morning and he wasn’t sure if it was because he was becoming use to this place, or because he was nicking less for a smoke.



“Whoa..” Nick grasp as Aj looked up his thoughts broken by the tone in Nick’s voice.



“Damn.” Kevin said as Aj’s eyes went wide. They walked out of the door to a large open area at the top of the tower they had just climbed. There were tree branches hanging over the edges of the platform, and as Aj’s ears caught the familiar sounds from down below he looked deeper into the trees and saw nests, and giant hawks sitting in them. A whistle made him look to his right and he saw Soula standing there blowing into a small tube. The man then looked to the trees and Aj followed his stare. His jaw dropped when he saw one of the Hawks get up from the nest, the birds body nothing like its head, which were covered in white and grey feathers. The Gryphon’s body was covered in dark scales, his feet were giant bird like claws, with large talon nails. Its tail shot around to the side as it landed in front of them, and Aj was surprised to see the scales turned into feathers as the tail came to an end. The feathers were white and grey the same colour as the feather on the birds head.



“Yeah, there’s no way we’re getting Brian on one of these.” Kevin said looking to the others. Aj started to laugh and Nick too as he nodded in agreement.



“We must hurry.” Marsa said as he walked back over to the guys.



Everyone was escorted to their Gryphon’s, the guys riding behind a rider, Aj was riding with Soula and Marsa was on his own Gryphon. The door opened and Avit came out. Aj noticed he didn’t look to happy as he headed right to Marsa. Aj watched as the two men began to talk quietly with each other, and then he noticed they were arguing a little. Avit left quickly and Aj watched as the Elvaan headed back downstairs. When he felt the Gryphon he was ridding moved a little he looked back over and saw Marsa approaching him and Soula.



“Is everything alright your majesty?” Soula asked.



“Avit, he does not want me to travel without him.” Marsa said with a light smile as he stopped his Gryphon next to theirs. “But I need him here in the city.” Aj watched as Marsa looked around making sure everyone was ready. “Let’s fly with most haste.” Marsa said as he nodded to Soula. Aj looked up as Soula turned a little in his harness.



“Hold on tight sir, the take off is bumpy.” He said as Aj took a deep breath and wondered what the hell he was doing. He felt the Gryphon jerk as it bent down a little and took off into the air. Slowly he glanced around him, no more trees, some mountains off in the distance, and sky. Slowly he relaxed himself and peaked down a little, the ground below was just green, with wisps of clouds over top. He looked to his left and saw Nick, he was looking around excitedly. Aj laughed to himself as he looked away and over to Kevin. His smile got a little brighter when he saw the smile of Kevin’s face. Kevin looked up at him and Aj pointed at him.



“Haha busted, you’re having fun!” Aj shouted across to him.



“Ok, now this, this is fun!” Kevin shouted back with a laugh.



The novelty soon wore off and Aj was back too thinking about the land that now moved below him. He thought it was a little strange waking up this morning, not really freaked, more relaxed, and now here he was chasing after Rayne. If it wasn’t for that feeling he had at Breakfast he wouldn’t even be up here right now.







Rayne sat on her bed in her chambers on the ship. Johon had locked her in here and placed guards outside her door. She had been crying, now she sat confused as the words of Johon played over in her head.



“You will marry me, for the sake of your land and your Father.” She heard his voice say and she honestly felt herself getting sick at the thought. When the clicking of her door opening broke her from the thought she looked up and her stomach turned even more when she saw Johon letting himself in.



“Hello my sweet.” He said with a smile as she looked away. “Aww do not be sad my love, today is a joyous day.”



“Hardly.” Rayne scoffed as she shot a look at him.



“My dear it is your wedding day, you should be delighted.”



“My what?” Rayne asked as she looked at him. “Today?” she asked shocked.



“I saw no need in waiting; your people will be most pleased to see this war come to an end.” Johon said as he walked over to the bed. “We will arrive in the harbor at sunset, the ceremony will be held before we dock.”



“And what shall I wear?” Rayne said sarcastically.



“No worries my dear, I have a dress already for you.” Johon said and her sarcastic smile turned to a frown. He sat down on the bed next to her and she quickly got up.



“Stay away from me.” She said sternly as she walked away from the bed.



“You will marry me..” Johon said, shocked when Rayne interrupted him.



“Not willingly, and you will never have permission to touch me.” Rayne yelled at him.



“I am King of Kalica, and now I am King of Sarila.” He said with an evil hiss as he got up from the bed and walked over to her. “I do not.” He shouted as he grabbed her arms, his voice falling to a whisper “Need your permission.” His grip was tight and it was starting to hurt her, she whimpered a little and he let go with a growl. She watched as he stormed over to the door and reached for the knob. “The maids will be here to dress you in an hour.” He said as he turned and looked at her. As the door slammed she fell to the floor crying, scared and confused.



Rayne stayed on the floor until the maids had come to get her dressed. Slowly she walked over to her door and opened it, letting the maids in. They sat her down in a chair in front of a long mirror that stood against the wall of the ship. She stared at herself in the mirror, lost as the maids fiddled with her hair. Only breaking her stare as the maids stood her up and walked her over to a stepping stool, one of the maids had set down. She stood up and they brought the white wedding dress over to her. They held it out for her to see, but she looked away, staring at the wall in front of her.



Soon she was alone again, standing in front of the mirror looking back at herself. The long satin dress flowed down around her. The dress obviously made in Kalica, she hated the high collars the woman always wore there. She looked at the crown that sat on her head, she frowned. When there was a knock at the door, she felt her stomach turn again and she looked over to it, staring at it, hoping they would go away. She closed her eyes when another knock broke through her room, and she slowly walked over to the door.



“It is time.” A servant said with a light nod. She felt herself wanting to cry again but she couldn’t not in front of her people. They knew the sacrifice she was making, they will know the sacrifice she made for them, for peace, and she will show them how strong she was to do it. She picked up her dress and stepped out of the room and headed up the stairs. Two guards blocked her view of the ship deck, and she looked back at the servant.



“Just wait here for your Father.” The lady said and Rayne sighed. Her Father, she couldn’t believe what he had done, done to his country, his friends, to her. What would her mother think of him?



“Rayne?” She heard him say behind her and she turned around. She didn’t hide the pain in her eyes as she looked at him. “I am sorry for this.”



“Sorry for marrying your daughter to a man like this, or sorry for the betrayal of your country, your people, your friends, me and mother.” Adop looked up at her. “For the first time in a year I am at peace with her being gone, because she is not here to see this.”



“Rayne.” Adop said sadly. She turned around and said nothing; the sound of music playing took her mind off her Father and to Johon again. The soldier’s moved and she walked up the last couple of steps as her Father stepped beside her. She looked to the front of the ship and saw the Mage Johon standing there with a Cleric from Kalica.



The small band began to play the ceremonial wedding music and she felt herself slowly moving towards Johon and the Cleric. She bit her lip forcing herself to go on, pushing her body forward and not back the way it wanted to go. Then they stopped, right in front of Johon, and she pulled her hand away from his when he went to take it. He looked at her angerly and grabbed her hand back quickly, holding it tightly.



“Johon.” Adop said as the Mage turned to look at him. He nodded for his guards to take her Father back away from them. They grabbed the man by the arms and pulled him away as he struggled a little.



“Please Cleric, you may begin.” Johon said as the Cleric nodded.



“Ladies and Gentleman please share your energies and prayers with me as I ask Pixca for her blessing in joining these two souls in eternal binding.” The Cleric spoke loudly as everyone watched.



“What is that!?” Someone shouted and everyone began to look around, when they looked up they saw what the commotion was about, a flock of Gryphon’s were flying towards them.



“Calm down everyone, it is just a flock of those birds from Winnol.” Johon said as he turned to the crowd.



“No it is not.” Adop said and Rayne looked at her Father and she saw a small smile on his face. Quickly she looked back again, she looked more carefully and when she saw the formation the birds were flying in she knew it was the Winnol Riders, it was Marsa. Did this mean they knew, did they come to save her and her Father? She looked back to her Father, but was pushed to the ground by Johon.



“You!” Johon shouted at the King. “You tipped him off!” The man shouted.



“No, I swear to you Johon, I did no such thing.” Her Father pleaded as the guards held him still.



“Traitor!” Johon shouted. “And you know what the punishment is for treason Adop, do you not?” Johon said as he reached for one of his guardsmen’s swords.



“Johon, no!” Rayne shouted standing up quickly but he paid her no attention as he pulled back on the sword and pushed it through Adop’s stomach. “No!!” Rayne screamed as she ran at Johon. She jumped on his back as he pulled the sword out and her Father fell to the floor. Screaming she pounded on Johon with one arm.



“Get this wretched witch off of me!” Johon shouted and he spun around sending Rayne hard to the deck floor. He pulled away quickly as she looked up at her Father lying in front of her, his eyes half closed.



“No.” she whispered as she looked at his lifeless body. Suddenly she was jerked up and Johon stood in front of her.



“Thank Pixca we had his blessing before he betrayed his country.” Johon said as he pulled her over to the Cleric. The Pixca Priest stood there stunned at what had just happened in front of him. “Please.” Johon said to the Priest. “Continue.”



The Priest opened his book, lifted his finger and opened his mouth to speak but the sound of an arrow whizzing pass them stopped him and he stood there stiff. Soldier’s and shipmen began yelling behind her.



“What now?!” Johon shouted angerly as he looked to the sky.



“It is Winnol.” Rayne said with a light smile. Johon spun around and looked at her. “The Gryphon’s in the sky, it is Winnol, you dim wit.” Johon’s face grew with anger and he grabbed her by the arm and walked her over to a guard.



“Watch her.” He said as he violently handed her off to him, Rayne crying out a little in pain.



“Yes sir.” The man said with a nod. Rayne looked back to the sky as Johon yelled for his spellcasters. The Gryphon’s were all flying over them now, and she noticed some of them had multiple riders. As an Ice bolt flew down onto the deck hitting one of Johon’s men in the leg, she searched the birds more intently. Then she saw him as he flew pass with the Flyers leader, it was Alexander and she realized the Shadow Flames were coming from Nick, and the bright lights of the Holy spells were coming from Kevin. She lightly smiled at the thought of him and his friends coming to save her. Looking around she searched to see where Johon had gone too. She saw him on the upper part of the deck, reserved only for her father and the captain. He was sending out bolts of fire at the birds as they whizzed past the ship.



Rayne looked around, there had to be something she could do, there had to be a way she could get away so the birds could get to her. But there was nothing but water around her. Suddenly it hit her, she looked to where the birds were, most of them still gathered around the front as their riders fired arrows at the men below. As she looked away she caught Alex and his rider coming back to the front. Hoping with everything she had, they would see her, she shoved the guard and he fell back tripping over the boxes beside them. His grasp slipped from her and picked up her dress as she made a dash for the opposite side of the ship. Quickly she climbed up onto the railing and looked down into the water. She heard Johon shout and she knew she had to jump now. With a push she dove into the water and away from the ship.











“There!” Aj heard Marsa shout and he peaked over Soula’s shoulder. He saw the two ships sailing in a distance, they were blurs but you could tell they were ships. “They’re almost at Sera.” Marsa shouted with worry.



“We will catch them.” Soula shouted back and he waved his arm in the air. His men began to dive with their birds, and soon Aj and Soula joined them. They began to pick up speed as they headed down closer to the ships.



“We’ve been spotted!” One of the flyers shouted as Aj felt him and Soula fly sideways a little. He looked around the Flyer again, down to the ship and he saw Rayne jumping onto someone’s back.



“What’s going on?” Aj shouted to Marsa, but the Elvaan just stared down at the ship. Aj looked back down and he saw Rayne laying on the deck floor, then the man laying beside her caught his eye. He looked back up to Marsa, and down again, then realized it was Rayne’s Father lying on the deck. “Marsa!” Aj shouted and the King turned and looked at him. Marsa didn’t need to say anything; he could see the anger on Aj’s face.



“Attack now!” Marsa shouted and the Elvaan riders pulled back on their bows. Aj heard the whizzing and pings of the bows and arrows as they released into the sky, piercing through the air as they fell towards their targets.



“Can we get to her?” Aj asked Soula as the Rider brought his Gryphon down, circling the ship.



“The deck is covered with men.” Soula said. Aj looked back down and saw Rayne looking around at the birds flying over her. Aj saw a man running towards her, and he sent an ice bolt flying down to the deck, striking the man in the leg. Soula brought his bird back around towards the others gathered in the front. Aj quickly turned to make sure Rayne was alright, when he saw her running free across the deck. He looked at the guard that was holding her and he was lying on some boxes. Looking back he saw her standing on the railing on the side of the ship. “She’s going to jump.” Soula shouted back at him.



“Jump?” Aj asked a little shocked, and as the words left his mouth, he watched as she dove into the water.



“Hold on!” Soula shouted as he grabbed his Gryphon and it jerked forward sending them quickly down towards the Ocean below.



Aj sent out a bunch of Ice bolts hoping to distract the men trying to hit them as they got closer to Rayne in the water. He watched as she swam towards them, not once did she look back. Then he heard the Gryphon squeal, so loud it hurt his ears. Then he felt the bird rock and before he knew it, he was in the water too. A little disoriented he began to swim to the top of the water. When his head broke through he gasped for air and quickly looked around. He didn’t see the Gryphon or Soula anywhere. When he heard someone shout his name he looked behind him, and saw Rayne swimming towards him.



“Are you alright?” She shouted a little as she got closer to him.



“I think so.” Aj said, still not sure what had happened. Just then an Ice bolt came crashing into the water between them and both turned from the water splashing around them. “We need to get away from the ship.” Aj said as he grabbed her hand, they were both looking back at the ship, as Johon frantically yelled at his men.



“Aj!” He heard someone shout from above and he looked up to see Kevin and his rider above them. “Are you ok man?”



“Yeah I’m fine but be careful!” Aj shouted looking back at the ship. He turned around when he heard another bird above him. He looked down to Rayne and caught something over her shoulder. “Soula.” Aj said as he swam passed Rayne. Quickly he swam over to the Elvaan.



“Soula you ok?” Aj said as he swam up to him.



“My leg was caught in the harness, might be broken.” Soula said in pain.



“Is he alright?” Rayne asked as she swam up to them.



“He thinks his leg is broken” Aj said to her and she frowned. A Rider came down and hovered over them. As the Elvaan reached down and grabbed Soula in a strong grip, he pulled his leader onto the bird. Soula shouted in pain as he adjusted his leg. When Soula’s rescuer left another came in. “Your turn.” Aj said turning to Rayne. She lightly smiled as she reached up for the Rider. He saw her dress, it was soaked in water, her hair, which Aj was sure looked very nice before, was now straggled and ruin, soaking wet, and he wondered why she was all dressed up. As her Gryphon took off into the air, one swooped in and grabbed onto Aj. Soon he too was in the air and in a safety zone. He looked in front of him and saw Rayne she was looking back, but not looking at him. Slowly he turned around and saw the ships slowly disappearing into the distance. He remembered her dad on the floor, and he frowned, wondering what she was thinking.



“Hey!” He heard Nick shout from beside him. Aj slowly looked over. “You ok, dude? That was crazy.”



“Yeah man I’m fine, what happened?” Aj asked.



“That Johon dude hit your bird with a fire spell.” Nick shouted to him. “Bird didn’t make it.” Nick frowned and Aj found himself frowning too.



The flight back to Winnol was long and quiet. Aj spent most of the trip worrying about Rayne, what she would do now. Her mother died a year ago, and now her Father. He didn’t get a chance to talk to her as she was whisked away to change and clean up when they landed back in the Elvaan city.



“Alexander, why do you not go change as well?” Marsa said as the King walked over to him.



“Yeah good idea.” Aj nodded.



“Meet us in my meeting chambers when you are done.” Marsa said with a nod as he walked towards the tower doors.



“Damn these things are heavy when they’re wet.” Aj said as he tugged at his robe.



“That was close man.” Kevin said as the three guys walked down the stairs.



“Yeah.” Aj nodded with a light laugh.



“Not funny Aj.” Kevin said stopping on the stairs.



“Come on dude, I’m wet.” Aj whined.



“That, what happened back there, was the exact thing I was talking about, we should be worrying about getting home.” Kevin said to him. “Not chasing after Princess.”



“I wasn’t chasing.” Aj said back.



“Oh please.” Kevin scoffed rolling his eyes turning back around. “Wait! I’m going too.” Kevin said mocking Aj. “I have to go it’s a feeling.” Nick started laughing and Aj looked behind him. Nick stopped laughing and just shrugged.



“Hey, what happened?” Howie asked as the three guys walked out of the stairway into the hallway and saw Brian and Howie standing there.



“Superman here almost drowned himself trying to save Rayne.” Kevin sighed.



“What!?” Brian and Howie shouted at the same time.



“I didn’t drown myself, the Gryphon I was on got hit with a fire spell and I fell in the water.” Aj said rolling his eyes.



“Oh that makes it better.” Brian said sarcastically.



“I need to change.” Aj sighed as he walked passed the guys.



“Aren’t we going to talk about this?” Brian asked.



“Talk about what Rok?” Aj asked turning around. “Close call, I’m fine, let’s move on, how about worrying about how to get home.” Aj said as he shrugged and turned around. He left the guys speechless as he walked down the hallway.



When Aj arrived at his room he was relieved to see the servants had already laid out a new robe for him. He walked into the bathroom and again was relieved to see a hot bath already drawn for him.



“You know a fella could get use to this.” Aj said to himself as he stepped into the tub. As he sunk into the water, his mind raced back to the crazy event that had happened. How angry and sad he felt for Rayne when he realized it was her Father lying on the deck. “Don’t get involved Alex.” He said to himself. “You just want to help, that’s all.” He took a deep breath and pulled himself out of the water. Wrapping a towel around his waist he walked out of the bathroom and grabbed his new robe. He grabbed a new pair of underwear and looked at them for a moment. He shrugged at them, they didn’t look that much different from the ones he wore at home, and they looked like boxers actually. Aj slid the robe around him, button it closed and tied the belt around him. He walked over to his door and opened it.



Aj walked down the hallway towards the large staircase that lead to the lobby below. He skipped down the steps and around the side. Walking behind the stairs he walked up to the doors of Marsa’s meeting chambers and walked in. He saw the guys, Rayne and Marsa all sitting in the room waiting for him.



“Ah, Alexander you’re here, good.” Marsa said with a nod. Aj lightly smiled as he walked over to a chair and sat down. He looked over to Rayne and saw the sad look on her face. “I have already talked to Rayne about what had happened.” Marsa told them about the deal Adop had made with Johon, marrying her to save Sarila. He told them they weren’t sure how long, but they realized that Adop was probably working for Johon like Evia said.



“So the reason you were all dressed up?” Aj asked as he looked at her.



“He wanted to marry on the ship, he was persistent on it.” Rayne said quietly.



“Well good thing we got there when we did.” Nick said from the other side of the room. Aj watched as Rayne lightly smiled but she didn’t look at Nick.



“So what happens now?” Kevin asked as he sat up.



“Johon is most likely in Sera right now, he most likely has control of Sera now, and it will not be long until he takes the rest of Sarila.” Marsa said sadly. “He will meet little resistance with the King dead, and Princess Rayne here in Winnol.”



“So he now has control over half of this place?” Kevin asked.



“Yes.” Marsa said sadly. “This is very grave for Pixcadia.” Everyone fell into silence but it was broken as Rayne stood up and stormed out of the room. They all looked around stunned not sure what had just taken place. Aj stood up heading to the doors; he opened them and walked out behind the stairs. As he came to the bottom of the stairs he looked up and saw her.



“Rayne?” Aj shouted as he looked up. She stopped and he grabbed the railing and ran up to her. “Are you alright?”



“What do you care?” she asked sharply.



“Um.” Was all he could say, as he looked at her stunned.



“Do not worry about me, I am fine, you should go back with your friends and figure out how you’re getting home.” She said as she lifted her dress and walked the rest of the way up the stairs.



“Wait!” Aj yelled as he chased after her. “What do you mean I don’t care, would I have gone with the Gryphon riders if I didn’t care?”



“Today yes, but what of tomorrow?” Rayne asked her tone loud. “And the day after that, and after that, this place will still be at war, but you will be home and safe by then.”



“If we find a way.” Aj said.



“Find a way? You do not need to find a way, just ask Marsa, he can send you home.” Rayne said. “Remember the deal, there’s no reason for you to stay.” She spoke as she turned and headed down the hall. Aj stood there not sure what to say, but he felt like he should say something.



“No.” Aj said as he stopped her. “The deal was if we found out whether Nick and I were these two Princes everyone keeps talking about..”



“But you are, and you do not see it because you do not want it.” Rayne said as she took his hand and pulled it from her arm. “So please, return home with your friends, before something far worse than today happens to you or one of them.” He watched as she turned away and walked down the hall. He didn’t move until she disappeared around the corner. Sighing with a light shake of his head, Aj headed back down the stairs and made his way back to Marsa’s meeting chambers.



“Did you find her?” Marsa asked.



“Yeah.” Aj said quietly with a light nod.



“Is she alright?” Nick asked, Aj looked up at his friends.



“Yeah I guess.” Aj said with a light shrug. Everyone went back to their conversations before Aj walked in. He sat there staring at his fingers, her words playing over and over in his head. “But you are, and you do not see it because you do not want it.”



“Aj?” Kevin’s voice said breaking him from his thoughts. “What’s up man?”



“Nothing.” Aj said as he put his hand down.



“Are you sure, maybe you hit your head or something?” Howie asked. “Are you feeling ok?”



“I said I’m fine, fuck guys back off.” Aj shouted.



“Dude.” Kevin said as the guys looked at him shocked.



“You guys are all over me about going home, but what if they’re right, what if I am this Alexander and Nick is who they say he is.” Aj said with frustration.



“Alex come on.” Brian said.



“No you come on!” Aj shouted. “If I can do something to help them..”



“To help Rayne.” Kevin said with a fighting tone.



“To help Rayne.” Aj shot back at him slowly. “I can do something to help this war to help them fight back.”



“Maybe.” Kevin said quickly.



“No, Kevin.” Aj said frustrated. “Not maybe, I am, so now what?” Aj looked around at his friends. “It doesn’t mean I’m staying.” He then turned to Marsa. “It doesn’t mean I’m staying.” Marsa nodded with a slight bow, understanding him completely but not hiding his happiness Aj was staying to help. “But I can’t go home knowing I could of done something to help them.” He said as he looked back at the guys.



“Argh!” Kevin growled as he rolled his head back in frustration and anger.



“He’s kind of right man.” Brian said as he looked to his cousin. Kevin’s head snapped back up, his distinguished eyebrows rose up as well. “I don’t like the thought of getting barbequed either, or frozen, or blown away, and I’m small, I fly like a kite when someone sneezes.” Aj couldn’t help but laugh and he looked up at Kevin who was smiling too. “Man, if we can help how can we leave?”



“We can ride the Gryphon’s some more.” Aj said as everyone looked at Kevin.



“Dude.” Kevin said looking at him.



“Well if we’re staying I wanna go down to the pub and try their beer, you have beer right?” Howie asked Marsa.



“Beer?” Marsa asked a little confused.



“Ale?” Howie asked raising his eyebrow just a little.



“Oh yes Ale, we have Ale, although the Ale in Tokia is best.” Marsa said with a nod, nodding as he understood.



“I can’t believe I’m hearing this.” Kevin said baffled by everyone. “Fine, we’ll help, but when it’s done then we leave.”



“Unless we lose.” Nick said as he crossed his arms. Everyone looked at him a little pissed. “What?” He said sinking into his seat. “Just being realistic.” Aj shook his head with a light laugh to himself as he turned around. He took a deep breath, not sure where all that had come from, it happened so quickly.



“This is good.” Marsa said with a nod. “There is still hope, and with hope there’s still a reason to fight.”
Chapter 4 by VeeLynn
The Guardian Crusade

Volume I



Chapter 4



When Aj woke up the next morning, he was surprised to see just him, the guys and Marsa at Breakfast. They were told that Evia and Nalia were in a meeting with Cornel Bussa over the state of Kalica and Rayne had decided to eat breakfast in her room.



“Is she ok?” Brian asked.



“Yes, she is in mourning, we must respect her privacy.” Marsa said with a nod.



“So what happens now?” Kevin asked as he sat back in his chair.



“We begin to prepare for War.” Marsa said with a heavy sigh. “I will be traveling to Tokia, and will be going over a plan with King Rossi.”



“Can we trust him?” Howie asked.



“Yes, Dwarves maybe mischief and like the Ale, but they are not dishonest people.” Marsa said and the guys looked at him. “I’m afraid that’s a human quality.”



“Hardly a quality.” Kevin said looking down to his plate.



“Would you Nickolas, like to join me?” Marsa asked as Nick looked up, spoon in his mouth.



“Timmph..” He cupped his hand to his mouth as Kevin rolled his eyes. When he swallowed he started again. “To Tokia?” he asked.



“Yes.” Marsa nodded. Aj watched as Nick looked around the room at the guys and at him.

“Sure.” Nick said with a shrug.



“Good, I’ll let Avit know to prepare more room on the ship; will you be joining us as well?” Marsa asked looking around.



“Where is Tokia?” Howie asked.



“It is the northern land of Pixcadia.” Marsa said.



“North?” Nick asked as his eyebrows frowned a little. “Is there snow?”



“Yes, and large, tall mountains that cut through the sky.” Marsa said with a light smile.



“So it’s cold?” Nick said as Marsa looked back at him.



“Yes, but do not worry. You will be well clothed.” Marsa replied. Aj smiled lightly to himself as Nick huffed looking back down at his plate.



“Spoiled Floridians can’t take a little cold.” Brian scoffed at Nick. Nick shot a dirty look back to Brian, but Brian just laughed at him.



“Just tell Avit if any of you choose to go with us, he will make the proper preparations.” Marsa said as he sat back in his chair.



Everyone had just finished eating and the servants had come into the room to clear the dishes. The doors to the hallway opened up and Aj looked up. He saw Avit come in and he didn’t like the look on his face.



“What is it Avit?” Marsa asked and as Aj looked at the King he saw the worry on his face. Avit looked at the people sitting at the table and then leaned down to Marsa’s ear. Aj watched as Marsa’s General whispered something in his ear. The old Elvaan’s face fell as Avit pulled away.



“I see, I will be there in a moment.” Marsa said sadly.



“What’s going on?” Aj asked as he looked to Marsa. The Elvaan King took a deep breath and then exhaled.



“I sent a search team out, in case Johon had decided to leave King Adop behind, before docking in Sera.” Marsa said as he stood up. “And it appears he has done so.” Aj looked down quickly, his thoughts going to Rayne.



“Alexander, you should come, it is custom for you to be there.” Marsa said as he walked over to the door.



“It is?” All the guys said at the same time.



“Here, in Pixcadia he is Prince Alexander, and everything that applies to the title of Prince of Winnol. It is a sign of respect.” He said with a light bow.



“Oh.” Kevin said nodding.



Aj stood up and looked around. This was defiantly weird, his first thing he had to do as a Prince. He could feel the guys staring at him, and as he heard a couple of snickers, one he knew was Nick, he slowly reached his hand behind him, flipped up his middle finger and flipped them off quickly. The eruption of laughter made Marsa spin around and Aj jumped a little. He was glad to see Marsa brushed it off as nothing more than laughter from a conversation.



They walked out into the hallway and towards the large lobby. This time however they did not go up the stairs, or down any hallways, Marsa turned to the doors to the city. Aj was a little confused but followed; he watched the giant doors swing open. They walked out into the city and down the stone covered roads.



“So.” Aj said as he looked up at Marsa. He was pretty tall, taller than Nick and Kevin. “Is there anything I need to do, or shouldn’t.”



“You will not need to say anything.” Marsa said and Aj relaxed a little. The two walked in silence a little bit, then as they approached a building near the back of the city, away from most things living.



“Alexander.” Marsa said turning to him. Aj looked up, waiting for him to talk. “Never mind, it is not of importance.” Marsa said with a light shrug, and Aj just kind of shrugged it off.



The guards at the door saluted and bowed to Marsa and Aj. They then opened the doors and Aj followed Marsa into the building made of thick branches, and the building was cold, and it made him feel weird.



“You might feel something in here; there are magical barriers to protect the dead.” Marsa said as he turned to him. “You’re a mage so you can pick up on the magic.”



“Oh.” Aj said now wondering if that’s what he felt. Marsa lightly smiled at him and then continued down the hall.



“Shall I stay outside sir?” Avit asked and it made Aj jump, he had almost forgotten Avit was behind them.



“Yes Avit, that is fine.” Marsa said with a nod, he then looked down at Aj. “Come.” He said lightly as he placed his hand on his shoulder. A guard opened the door and the two walked into the room. Aj looked around the room; branches everywhere even on the ceiling, only a few leaves poked through. He looked down at the stone table where Adop laid; he frowned when he saw Rayne kneeling beside it, holding her Fathers hand.



“Princess Rayne?” Marsa said as Aj heard the door close behind them. She looked up, her eyes soaked with tears, her face fallen and sad.



“Yes Marsa?” She asked standing up.



“It is not our custom, but under the circumstances, I do not think Pixca will mind if you were to bury your Father here, I can prepare a place for him.” Marsa said and Aj wondered what he meant.



“Thank you Marsa, that is very kind of you.” Rayne said with a light nod. “If he could not be returned home, I know he would want to be here.”



“You both will be able to return home one day.” Marsa said to her as he took a step forward.



“Yes, I hope so.” Rayne said and he noticed the tone in her voice, almost doubtful. The door opened and all three of them looked to see who it was.



“What is it Avit?” Marsa asked when he saw his General there.



“Soula’s First Command has return with his report.” Avit said as he stood straight and tall.



“Oh.” Marsa said as he turned to Rayne and Aj. “Excuse me one moment, will you?”



“Of course.” Rayne said with a nod. “I should return to the castle.” Aj turned to follow Marsa out of the room when he felt a hand on his arm and he looked back to Rayne.



“I wanted to apologize for last night.” Rayne said with a light frown.



“It’s ok, you were up set because, because of everything that had happened so.” Aj said his voice going quiet as he quickly glanced at her Father.



“Marsa told me you will be staying, to help.” She said as she started to head out of the room.



“Yeah, I mean if we can help then we should.” Aj said as he followed.



“And the others were ok with this?” she asked.



“Well Nick agreed to it too, right away, and Brian did too which was really shocking.” He said as he nodded a little. “Everyone else came around.”



“Princess Rayne.” Marsa said as he approached the two. “My scouts still say there is no sign of Guardian Rem, I do not feel safe with you traveling alone.” Marsa said with concern. “Would you allow General Avit as an aid?”



“Thank you Marsa that is most kind and under the circumstances, I think it would be wise.” She said with a light smile. Marsa smiled back with a nod in agreement.



“Shall I escort you back to the Castle?” Avit asked her.



“Yes please.” Rayne replied.



Aj smiled and lightly waved as she waved goodbye to him and Marsa. He turned and looked at Marsa who was talking to a guard. A funny feeling came over him and he felt like someone was watching him. He looked over his shoulder on his left and saw a tall Elvaan woman standing by a small building. Aj began walking over to the woman, not sure why but that feeling he got the other day was coming back. Looking back he quickly peeked to see if Marsa was still talking, and he was. So Aj turned back to the woman but she was gone.



He walked over to the small building where she was standing and headed around the side. He saw a large iron gate that was opened and he wondered if that’s where she went. Aj followed the small grass covered path that lead into a patch of trees. When he came out the other end he saw a field of baby blue flowers scattered across the ground. Rows of marble stone tablets streamed across the field. He walked up to the larger stone at the top of the rows. He knelt down and read the name.



“Tas Breezewalker Queen of Winnol; your people, your friends, your family, your country mourns your loss everyday.” Aj spoke as he read.



“You must be Alexander.” A voice said from behind him and he spun around.



“Huh?” Aj said a little stunned.



“You are Alexander are you not?” she asked.



“Uh. Oh yeah that’s me.” Aj said. It was weird, when they called him Alexander it was a name he was use to, but when they said it here, it had a different meaning.



“You do not sound sure.” The woman said.



“Oh no I am Alexander, just..” Aj stopped hoping she would drop it.



“Just what?” She asked. He looked at her. She had long dark brown hair, her eyes looked very familiar.



“Well, it’s just that they sent me away, and now they bring me back, expecting me to believe I am who they say I am.” Aj said as the flood gates began to open. “Show me I am who they say I am, give me some proof.”



“Would you stay?” The woman asked, and Aj looked at her wondering where that came from.



“My friends and I already said we would.” Aj said to her. “After that we go home.”



“But what if this is your home?” She asked. Aj went to answer her but he stopped. He had never really thought about that before, even when he was yelling at Kevin. What if he was, what if he was from here.



“Wouldn’t I know if I was from here?” Aj asked her.



“You do not feel it?” The Elvaan woman asked. “Something you see, something you hear, anything that gives you a feeling that you belong?” Aj started to think, remembering how he felt when he was at the table having breakfast the morning Rayne left with her Father. How he felt after she had yelled at him, how he felt listening to everyone bicker.



“Alexander?” he heard Marsa say and he looked up. The woman was gone, and Marsa was standing at the pathway opening. “Is everything alright?”



“ah..” Aj said looking around, wondering where the woman had gone too. “Yeah, just looking around. What is this place?”



“It is our Mourning Grounds.” Marsa said as he walked up to Aj.



“Oh.” Aj said as he looked back at the stone. “So this is..”



“My Tas.” Marsa said with a light smile. “And this is Nati and this is Dyn.” Marsa said as he light touched the stones beside the bigger stone.



“How long ago was it?” Aj asked.



“About a year ago.” Marsa said as they turned and headed towards the city again.



“I’m sorry.” Aj said quietly.



“Not as sorry as I am, she would have loved to have seen you again.” Marsa said and then he quickly looked down to Aj. “I’m sorry; I know how uncomfortable that makes you.”



“I just wish I knew if I really was, I mean I know you, and everyone here says it, but I just can’t picture it.” Aj said as he walked through the thicket of trees. “Why me, why Nick, why did the guys come, it’s just all really confusing.”



“I do not know why it was you, or Nickolas, for the same reason if you were to ask that question on earth. Do your friends know why they were born to the parents they have?” Marsa asked.



“No.” Aj said as he thought. “Yeah, I see your point.” He said with a light sigh.



“As too why your friends came, that I do not know either, we tried to find the answer, we were just as shocked as you were.” Marsa said remembering. “Maybe it was to help the two of you adjust, only Pixca knows the truth.” Aj knew what that meant, probably the same as if someone would say only ‘god knows why’ back home.



The two walked silently through the town, following the same path they took on the way to see Rayne’s Father. People would stop what they were doing and bow, at first Aj thought they were bowing to Marsa but he soon realized they were bowing to him too.



“May I ask you something?” Marsa said as they approached the castle doors.



“Sure.” Aj said with a light shrug.



“Why did you go with Soula to try and save Princess Rayne?” Marsa asked. Aj slowed his walking and then stopped.



“I got this feeling.” Aj said as Marsa turned to him.



“A feeling?” Marsa asked a little intrigued.



“Yeah, like something was telling me to go, really telling me to go.” Aj said remembering how strong it was.



“Is this the only time you have felt this way?” Marsa asked.



“No.” Aj said quietly. “Later that night, after I talked to Rayne about why she left, something she said set it off again.”



“So that’s why you said what you said to your friend.” Marsa said.



“Yeah.” Aj said as he took a deep breath. “Do you think I’m feeling this way because I’m suppose too?” Aj asked.



“What do you mean?” Marsa asked.



“Well, if I am this Alexander, maybe I was suppose to go help Rayne, since she is a Guardian, and maybe I’m suppose to help with this war.” Aj said as Marsa raised an eyebrow. “It’s just.” Aj said with a deep exhale.



“Yes?” Marsa said waiting for him to continue.



“What if I end up liking it here?” Aj said. “It’s already different than Earth; the people are cool, despite being threaten with a war. What if by the time the war is over, I want to stay.” Aj said. “You think Kevin was mad when we came.” He said raising his eyebrows. He saw Marsa smile and it made him smile and laugh a little.



“It seems you have many around you that care about you, I am thankful for that.” Marsa said with a light bow.



“Yeah, me too.” Aj said as he looked away a little, hoping Marsa didn’t ask why.



“Hey there you are!” Nick shouted as he walked out from the doors. “Man these things are huge, what do the kids do at Halloween?” Nick asked as he walked up to Marsa.



“Halloween?” Marsa asked confused.



“What did you want?” Aj asked with a light laugh.



“Nalia and I are going for some target practice.” Nick said as he shot his hand out playfully. “Wanted to know if you felt up to it?”



“Where are the guys?” Aj asked.



“Sleeping.” Nick said a little relieved. “Let’s go have some fun.” Just then the laughter of girls made Aj’s gaze go to the doors and he saw Nalia and Rayne come out. Glad to see her smiling and laughing again.



“Ah, I see you found him.” Nalia said as the two girls approached them. “King Marsa.” Nalia said with a bow and he returned it.



“So.” Nick said turning to Aj. “You coming?”



“Um.” Aj said looking to Marsa.



“Please, go, I need to speak with Avit anyways.” The Elvaan said as he lightly bowed and walked away.



“So when will we get to learn the other spells?” Nick asked as the four walked down the streets of Winnol. Nalia and Rayne were in the front, Aj and Nick behind them. Like before Aj noticed people would stop and bow to them, he also noticed people whispered more seeing all four of them together.



“That is up to your teacher.” Nalia said as she quickly looked back.



“I just want to summon an Orc.” Nick said as his eyes got big.



“An Orc?” Aj said a little confused. “Like Orc, grrrr Orc?” he said as he put up his hands and made a face



“I dunno, I just read a list of spells a Warlock has, and I read Summon Goblin and Summon Orc.” His voice filled with excitement. “Let’s see Kevin ride my ass when he’s got an Orc ridding his.” Nick laughed. Aj shook his head with a chuckle as the four of them turned into the Magic Fields.



They walked out onto the field and Nick headed towards the targets. Aj looked around; he noticed the sky had become darker than it was earlier. The field was wide open; the only thing blocking them from the forest around them was the stone wall along the back of the field.



“What is that?” Nick shouted and Aj looked over to him quickly. He then followed Nick’s gaze and saw the wolf that had cornered him in the hallway the night they first got here.



“That was the wolf I was telling you about, it’s Rayne’s.” Aj said as he looked at her. She knelt down at the wolf as it came closer to her, and even though he knew it was a spell, he was still surprised to see it walk up to her, and let her pet it.



“That’s cool.” Nick said with a nod. “Does it have a name?” Nick asked as Rayne and Nalia walked over.



“Paq.” Rayne said.



“Well I’m going to go target practice.” Nick said as he started to walk away.



“Me too.” Nalia said as she pulled out a large sword from the Sword stack. Aj raised his eyebrow in curiosity.



“What talent is she?” Aj asked Rayne as he watched Nalia walk over towards Nick.



“Warrior.” Rayne replied. “Warriors are masters of battle and weapons.” Rayne explained.



“Do they use magic?” Aj asked.



“Sort of.” Rayne said as she looked at him. “They use energies like you do, but they apply them to their allies, to help them in battle. She can make you strong, or more accurate, or quicker.”



“Cool.” Aj said with a nod. “So are you going to practice?” Aj asked.



“Not today, pretty tired already.” Rayne said as she looked down to Paq. “I am sure Nalia wanted me to come to keep my mind off Father.”



“Not working?” Aj asked.



“No.” Rayne replied. He walked, along side of her as she looked up and a smile came across her face. “Looks like your friend found something else to do.” Aj looked over to where Rayne was looking and saw Nick staring at Nalia as she swung the sword around, effortlessly like a baton. She would bring the sword across her and spin, sending it piercing into a stack of hay, as she pulled out she would spin around again, bringing the sword around and down onto the stack of hay.



“Looks like it.” Aj said with a light laugh, shaking his head.



“I never did get a chance to thank you.” Rayne said after a moment of silence.



“Thank me?” Aj said confused. Rayne nodded.



“For yesterday, coming with the Riders.” Rayne told him. “I know I said last night you did not care, but I hope you understand.”



“I already told you its ok, you were upset, I get that way too.” Aj said and she smiled lightly.



“Hey!” Nick shouted and they both looked at him. “Are you two going to stand there and chit chat, or are you going to blow stuff up?”



“Ugh Carter.” Aj sighed as he rolled his eyes a little. He looked over when he heard Rayne laughing, and he started laughing too.



“Princess Rayne!” Someone from behind them shouted and everyone stopped and looked.



“Yes Harls?” Rayne said as she saw Marsa’s second in command run up too her.



“King Marsa wishes to see you, all of you.” He said looking to Aj and the others. “Right away.”



“Alright.” Rayne said with a nod. Aj watched Rayne dismiss Paq and the wolf took off running into the woods as Nalia and Nick came up to them. When they were all together they followed Harls to the castle and straight to Marsa’s meeting room.



“Hey man.” Kevin nodded when Aj walked in.



“What is it Marsa?” Nalia asked as they walked up to him.



“There is trouble on the island.” Marsa said as he turned to look at him. “My scouts have reported seeing Johon’s men there with Guardian Rem.”



“Are they holding him captive?” Rayne asked.



“No.” Marsa said as he looked at her, his face showing no emotion.



“I see.” Rayne said as she looked away.



“I am sending men out there, early reports say..” Marsa was interrupted.



“I am going.” Rayne said quickly.



“What?!” Everyone in the room said shocked as they looked at her.



“I want answers and Rem can give them too me.” Rayne said looking at Marsa.



“And you will get those answers, when my men bring him back.” Marsa told her.



“I need to make sure he comes back.” Rayne said and Aj heard her voice shake a little.



“I understand Princess Rayne, I want him to pay for his treachery as well, but I can not put you in that kind of danger.”



“Danger, I am a Guardian.” Rayne said angerly. “If we’re such great fighters, why is everyone trying to protect us?” Aj looked at her, and then at Marsa.



“I’ll go with her.” Aj spoke up.



“What?” Rayne said looking at him.



“Yeah..” Kevin said as he slowly sat up. “What?” he said staring at Aj.



“Dude.” Aj said looking at him. He then looked back to Marsa. “I’ll go with her, two of us should be able to handle it.”



“Try Three.” Nalia said



“Four.” Nick said raising his hand as he stood up from his chair.



“What’s going on?” Howie asked looking around, then over to Brian.



“No clue.” Brian said shaking his head as he looked over to Howie.



“So the four of you are just going to run after this Rem guy, and do what?” Kevin asked.



“Kick his ass?” Nick asked.



“Works for me.” Aj nodded.



“I think I’ve heard that in a movie somewhere.” Nick said looking to Aj.



“You know I think you’re right.” Aj said thinking.



“Hey, Abbott and Costello!” Kevin shouted and both guys stopped talking and looked at him. “Do you hear yourselves?” Aj looked at Kevin confused. “You’re talking about going off and fighting, you two should stay here and let Marsa handle this.”



“And what did I tell you yesterday?” Aj said staring at Kevin. “We’re going home after we help with this, all of this, and Rem knows something.” Aj watched as Kevin shook his head and sat down with a sigh.



“Doesn’t mean you can get yourselves killed before then.” He said quickly.



“I assure you they will not be killed.” Rayne replied.



“Really.” Kevin said looking at her. “You’re that good are you?”



“Do not speak to her like that.” Nalia said angerly.



Everyone began shouting and bickering around Aj and his head was pounding harder with every word. He was confused on a lot of things right now, and all this fighting wasn’t helping. Sighing he looked around and saw everyone still yelling at each other. With a light growl to himself he turned around and headed to the doors. Opening them he walked out of the room and around the staircase. He decided to go for a walk around the Castle, clear his head, get his thoughts straight. Heading down the hallway, he passed the door to the dinning room and continued down the hall. As his thoughts raced around his mind, who was he? Was he supposed to be here? He stopped and looked up. Every thought in his mind fled, every worry gone as he stared at the picture in front of him.



A woman sat on a green velvet throne, her hair a dark brown, braided at the back and fell down her shoulder, two ringlets’ fell at the side of her face. Her eyes, he had seen those eyes before, he had seen her before, at the graveyard. He replayed the conversation he had with her. The questions she asked, the tone in her voice.



“Alexander?” a voice said from behind him and he turned around too see Marsa, Rayne, Nalia, Nick, and the guys all looking at him.



“Everything ok man?” Kevin asked walking up to him.



“Uh, yeah.” Aj said looking from the group back to the picture. “Who is this?” Aj asked Marsa.



“That is Queen Tas.” Marsa said with a nod. Aj knew it, he just needed Marsa to say it. So this woman that he had saw at the Mourning Ground, the woman that talked to him, he was maybe, possibly his mom.



“Are you ok dude?” Nick asked as he stood beside Aj. Aj just nodded as he looked at the picture.



“Yeah, I’m fine.” Aj said turning away.



“We’re going for a ride on the Gryphon’s did you want to come?” Kevin asked.



“You’re going on a Gryphon?” Aj asked Brian.



“Ppfft, heck no.” Brian said with a scoff. “I’m just going to watch.”



“Naw, I think I’m just going to head to my room till lunch.” Aj said as he started to walk pass the guys.



“Are you sure you’re ok?” Howie asked as Aj walked passed him.



“I’m fine.” Aj said to them, but didn’t look at them as he gave them a slight wave.



Aj could tell they were staring at him as he made his way down the hall but that wasn’t important right now. He was still trying to figure out if he was seeing things, or did he really see this Queen Tas, this woman who’s suppose to be his mother.



“Just wish I knew who I am” Aj said to himself as he started to walk up the stairs.



“You’re a man that’s about to die.” Said a voice from the top of the stairs and Aj quickly looked up. He saw someone standing on the top of the stairs, a long black and silver robe hung around the person that stood in front of him. Aj couldn’t see the person’s face, a hood covered it, shadowed the face so he couldn’t see.



“How did you get in here, who are you?” Aj asked as he watched the robed person in front of him bring up their arm. Aj’s eyes went a little wide and he started backing down the stairs. They brought their arm up and his eyes got wider when he saw their fingers begin to glow with a spell.



“Alex!” Someone shouted from behind him and as he saw the glow of a fire spell coming at him, he felt something grab him and pulled him down to the grown. He let out a moan as he hit the ground hard.



“Stop him!” He heard Marsa shout as he tried to pick himself up off the floor.



“Aj?” Kevin said as Aj looked up at him. “You ok?”



“Ranye?” Nalia said as she ran beside Aj, and he quickly looked beside him and saw Rayne lying on the ground.



“Is she ok?” Aj asked shocked it was her that pulled him down.



“Marsa we need a Priest.” Nalia said as she looked up. Aj looked down at Rayne; her dress was scorched by the flame spell.



“Can I help?” Brian asked as he knelt down.



“Just heal her.” Nalia said. Brian nodded and placed his hands over her. He did what the Priest had shown him, concentrate on the place around you, and concentrate on her. A minute later, as everyone watched intently Rayne began to move.



“Let’s get her to her bed chambers.” Marsa said as two servants came over and picked Rayne up.



Aj was still a little stunned as he stood up with the help of Kevin. He looked back up the stairs but the Mage was gone. He looked around the room seeing everyone there, now guards and spell casters ran around them.



“We have no sign of the Mage sir.” A guard said to Marsa.



“I do not care if we search this place all night, find this mage, or make sure he is truly gone.” Marsa said to his soldiers. They saluted him and then took off up the stairs, scattering as they began to look.



“Who was that?” Aj asked Marsa as they both watched Nalia and the servants take Rayne up to her room.



“I am not sure, but I have no doubt that Johon is responsible.” Marsa said with a sigh.



“How did they get into the castle?” Nick asked as the rest of the guys gathered around Aj, Nick and Marsa.



“There are mages that are powerful enough to teleport.” Marsa explained. “They are far and few between.”



“So I guess Gryphon riding is out.” Kevin said with a sigh.



“Yes, I am afraid it is until we make sure the skies are safe.” Marsa said with a nod and Aj noticed Kevin frown a little.



“Well what did you want to do now?” Nick asked looking at his band mates.



“Why not go to the Tree Falls.” Marsa said to them.



“The what?” Howie asked



“The Tree Falls, it is where we go swimming.” Marsa said with a light smile.



“Sounds great but I left my swim trunks on the bus.” Kevin said sarcastically.



“Dude, like they wouldn’t have that stuff here.” Nick said rolling his eyes.



“Yeah Kevin, geez.” Brian said rolling his eyes too.



“You two shut it.” Kevin said as Nick and Brian began to giggle. “Are you coming?” Aj looked up when no one answered and he saw everyone staring at him.



“Naw, think I’m still going to go to my room.” Aj said as he shook his head lightly. “I’ll see you guys at lunch.”



“Ok man.” Aj heard Kevin say as he began to climb the stairs again. This place was defiantly starting to get to him. He fought so hard back on Earth to find out who he was, and now he was being told he was someone else.



“Alexander?” He heard a voice say.



“What?” he snapped as he turned around. He saw Nalia standing in the doorway. She had a look of shock on her face. “I’m, I’m sorry, just been a long day already, and it’s not even noon yet.” Nalia lightly smiled, and Aj started feeling bad. “What did you need?”



“Rayne would like to speak with you.” Nalia said



“Oh, she’s awake?” Aj asked a little surprised. “Is she ok?” he asked as Nalia nodded.



“Yes, she’s fine.” Nalia said with a light smile. Aj smiled back as he walked into the room. He looked around and saw the room was much like his. Even the fire place was there. His eyes scanned over the window and to the bed, he saw Rayne laying under the covers, as a couple of maids tended to her. When she looked over his eyes caught hers and he froze.



“Are you alright?” She asked.



“Thanks to you.” Aj said as he walked over to her bedside.



“Where is everyone else?” Rayne asked as she looked around the room.



“They went swimming.” Aj said with a shrug.



“At the Tree Falls?” Nalia asked. Aj looked at her and nodded. “Aw.” She frowned.



“Go.” Rayne said a light laugh.



“Are you sure, I do not want you to be alone.” Nalia said.



“If I need anything I can ask Marsa.” Rayne lightly smiled.



“Then I will see you at lunch.” Nalia said quickly as she headed to the door.



“I take it these Tree Falls as something special.” Aj said with a laugh.



“Have you not seen them?” Rayne asked.



“Nope.” Aj said shaking his head. “I”ve been in the castle, or out in the city. Haven’t seen any falls.”



“Open my window.” Rayne said with a nod. Aj looked at her confused for a moment but got up and walked over to the window. He lifted the latch and pushed on the doors, as the windows opened the rushing sound of water broke through his ears. He looked out and saw a giant water fall, falling from the tree branches about fifty yards away.



“Whoa.” Aj said as he followed the water down to the large pond below. The sound of laughter made him look to his right and he saw the guys walking out of a door. He smiled when he saw them all wearing green shorts.



“Oh man check that out!” He heard Nick shout. He looked to where Nick was pointing and saw ropes hanging from the tree branches.



“There’s more than one!” he heard Brian shout and looked down to see Kevin and Nick fighting with each other to get to the ropes.



“How come you did not go?” Rayne asked and Aj looked back at her still standing at the window.



“Didn’t really feel like it.” Aj said with a light shrug. “I was on my way to my room when Nalia stopped me.” He said as he turned from the window and sat down again.



“You’re still not happy about being here.” Rayne said and Aj looked up at her.



“It’s not that I don’t like this place, it is pretty cool and all, but, it’s just kind of hard to explain.” Aj said as he looked down at his nails. He noticed he had picked off all his nail polish, and that meant there was only one thing left to do.



“You know it is not proper for a Prince to bite his nails.” Rayne said and Aj looked at her, and then looked at his hand.



“Habit.” He said with a light shrug. “I don’t like it when things are up in the air, like I don’t know what’s going on.” Aj said as he started talking. “Not getting into a very long story but it took me a long time to find out who I was, and now I’m being told I’m not that person.”



“Well your still Alexander, just you do not look Elvaan that is all.” Rayne said as he looked at her. “You think they changed who you are on the inside?”



“Well, maybe, I mean, I don’t know.” Aj said a little confused.



“You can not change how someone is on the inside.” Rayne said to him. “You can try, and maybe it will work for a while, but it will not last. Not like changing yourself physically does.” Rayne spoke. “How do you know, when you had to find out who you were, it was you finding Alexander.”



“But what about my mom, how she raised me, doesn’t that count for something, she’s real to me, she might have been made up but she’s still real to me.”



“And I am sure you are to her as well. She remembers everything and she always will.” Marsa said and both Aj and Rayne jumped at his voice. “I am sorry this has caused you so much confusion Alexander.”



“No, it’s alright, I mean it’s not really your fault, it’s just.” Aj took a deep breath. “It’s been a long day, I didn’t sleep much, haven’t really slept at all since I’ve been here and now I’m seeing things because of it.”



“Seeing things?” Marsa asked. Aj looked up to Marsa and then to Rayne, they were both looking at him intently.



“Like I said haven’t slept much.” Aj said looking down at his robe.



“Who are you seeing?” Marsa asked.



“Huh?” Aj looked up a little shocked he said who, like Marsa knew he was seeing a person.



“In Pixcadia, sometimes we can see the ones we lost, when we are lost.” Marsa said. “If you know the person you are seeing, then maybe it can help you find your way.” Aj looked at Marsa not sure what to say. He didn’t want to tell him, if it wasn’t her he was seeing. He didn’t want to upset him.



“I’m not sure, I don’t know anyone here.” Aj said hoping Marsa would let it go at that.



“Yes, I suppose you are right.” Marsa said as he stood up.



“I will tell Avit to prepare for tonight, Princess Rayne after this morning I strongly suggest that you.” Marsa was interrupted.



“I am still going.” Rayne said sternly. Aj could tell Marsa wanted to say something but he stopped himself.



“As you wish.” Marsa said with a light bow. “I will inform Avit.” Aj watched as the Elvaan man left the room and he looked to Rayne.



“Well.” Aj said standing up. “I should go too let you get some rest, if you’re going tonight.” He said as he started to walk pass the bed.



“Wait.” Rayne said and he stopped and looked at her. Slowly she got up out of the bed, her blue bed robe wrapped around her, her long curly hair tied up. She walked over to a dresser and opened a drawer. Aj waited and watched as she searched for something. A moment later she closed the drawer and walked over to him.



“What’s this?” Aj asked as Rayne handed him a book.



“It was my Mothers.” Rayne told him. “It is the Book of the Magi, the book of Mages, tells you everything you need to know about the talent, spells, lore, it might help.”



“I can’t take this it’s your mom’s.” Aj said as he tried to hand the book back.



“I’ve read it many times, and I am a Druid, she would want someone to have it that could learn from it.” Rayne said her voice quiet.



“Cool.” Aj said with a light smile. “Thanks.” Rayne lightly smiled as she walked back over to her bed. “I’ll see you later at lunch.” He said as he gave a light wave, she nodded and lightly waved back. Aj tucked the book in his hand and headed out of the room. Turning right he headed towards his room. Opening the door he walked in and over to the couch by his desk. He sat down and opened the book. Flipping through the pages Aj skimmed over the words.



“Chapter One: The Elements.” Aj read to himself. “All elements have an opposite. Ice is weak to fire, fire is weak to water, water is weak to lightening, lightening is weak to earth, and earth is weak to wind.” He read. “Remember this when fighting a Mage or an opponent, sometimes the caster has a preference.”



Page by page Aj began to read about the Mage Talent. How it is said to have started, how it can end if one Mage is not careful. He read about the spells he could learn, teleporting, trap spells, which can sit and wait, then when your enemy steps on them, the spell is released and freezes or sets them on fire. He read about the Ancient Magic, old Magic used long ago, but not now, no Mage has been strong enough to cast these spells. Something in the book really interested him though, the lore of the Elemental. The book said that there was a Mage so powerful that he called upon the element of Water and turned it into a fighting beast, with arms, eyes, and a mouth.



“Haha Nick, let’s see your Orc beat that.” Aj laughed to himself as he turned the page. He stopped when he saw the heading of the next Chapter. “Chapter Three: The Guardian Mage.”



“It is with great honor that one of the Guardians of Pixcadia will always be a Mage.” Aj read the first line. “Druid, Warrior and Warlock are the other talents. They are the strongest talents and they are the basic talents. Mages represent the energies that are around us, Druids represent the Nature that is around us, Warlock’s represent the Dark that is around us, and Warrior’s represent the Strength that is around us.” Aj took a deep breath it was a lot to take in but oddly enough he was following it fine. He realized as he finished the chapter that this book wasn’t going to tell him more about the Guardians’.



There was a knock at his door and he looked up from the book. Setting it down on the table in front of him as he stood up, Aj walked over to the door and opened it. He was a little surprised to see a maid standing on the other side.



“I am to call you to lunch sir.” The small Elvaan lady said with a bow.



“Oh, ok thanks.” Aj said shocked the time had passed so fast while he was reading. He closed the door behind him and followed the servant down the hall.



“Aj!” Someone shouted from behind him and he turned around, knowing the voice belonged to Nick. “Dude you gotta come with us next time those falls are so sweet, and you can go behind them.” He said with a wiggle of his eyebrows,



“Nice.” Aj said with a laugh. “Where are the others?”



“They’re coming.” Nick said looking behind him, still not seeing Kevin, Brian, or Howie. “So are you feeling better?” Nick asked.



“I dunno.” Aj shrugged. “Aren’t you freaked out just a little?”



“What about the whole Guardian thing?” Nick asked.



“Yeah, all of it, this place, that, them telling us we’re not who we are.” Aj said.



“They never said we aren’t who we are, they just said we were born here, and then put on Earth for protection.” Nick said with a shrug.



“And that doesn’t bother you?” Aj asked.



“Nope.” Nick said shaking his head. “I’m actually a little glad, I mean, look at my parents. That’s not who I am.” Nick said as Aj listened. “And now, you’re not your dad either.” Aj watched as Nick headed down the stairs, his words playing over in his head.



“Man I’m so hungry.” Kevin said as the sound of his friend walking down the hall broke him from his thoughts. “Hey man, doing better now?” Kevin asked as he put his hand on Aj’s shoulder. Aj looked at the stairs, where Nick was, and then back to Kevin.



“Yeah.” He said with a nod. “I am.” Kevin smiled as the two, along with Brian and Howie headed down to the dinning room for lunch.



Even though he told Kevin he was doing better, he sat pretty quiet through out lunch. His mind a race with Nick’s words, Marsa’s words, Rayne’s words. Even the lady that he thinks is Tsa, even her words ran through his head. He hated being this confused, he hated not being able to think clear and the only time that was, was whenever he needed to help Rayne. When he thought about that, slowly, things started slipping into place. Finally he took a step back at let the “what if” happened. What if he was born here, what if his mom will be ok because this is how it was suppose to be, what if he was this Guardian, what if this is where he was from, and that’s why he didn’t feel like he belonged back on Earth.
Chapter 5 by VeeLynn
The Guardian Crusade
Volume I

Chapter 5

Alex sat at a large wooden table, books scattered in front of him. He was in the Council House. The place where Rayne told him Mages went to study their talent, and since he wasn’t raised here, and didn’t go to school here, he figured he had some catching up to do. Most importantly he was hoping they had books on the Elemental, and more on the Guardians. Which to his satisfaction, there were. One book he found was called the Myth of Adamai. He learned that there was a Mage named Adamai who had called upon a large beast created from water. He read that the Mage out of pure hate and anger touched a pool of water and fed his hate and anger into it. The hate filled energy formed into a funneling beast of water, and crushed all of Adamai’s enemies. No one knows what happened to him, the survivor’s who came back to tell the tale said he left into the forest and never came out, some say the beast took him back into the water with him.

Aj closed the book and rubbed his eyes. He had been reading for a while, and looked over to the other book he had yet to touch and he felt tired just thinking about reading it. One of the teachers here said that this book was the book about the Guardians; everything that Pixca had known about the guardians was in that book. The sound of the door to the room opening made him look up and he was surprised to see Nick standing there.

“What’s up?” Aj asked as he closed the book.

“We’re getting ready to go.” Nick said as he sat in a chair across from Aj.

“Ok.” Aj said as he gathered the books up. “I just need to give these back to the Mage Teacher.” Aj said as he piled them up.

“What are they?” Nick asked as he picked one up. “The Ancients?” He read as he looked at Aj.
“It’s about the Ancient Magic, kind of cool.” Aj said as he looked at it. “Like there’s one called Tohil, and well that’s what it does creates like a hurricane. There’s one called Volco it’s suppose to be this big huge flame tower that shoots up and burns the enemy”

“Nice.” Nick said with a nod as he helped Aj with the books. “You seem to be getting more and more into this.”

“Well, I’m starting to think that maybe what they’re saying is true, maybe, I dunno.” Aj said as they walked out of the room. He set the books down on the table and the teacher he had talked to came over to them.

“Can I keep these two; I’ll bring them back when I’m done?” Aj asked.

“Of course sir.” The teacher said with a smile and a nod. Aj smiled back and headed out of the building with Nick.

“So I’m thinking about asking Nalia out to dinner tomorrow.” Nick said as they walked down the street.

“Oh?” Aj said a little stunned.

“I mean I know we’ll be leaving and stuff, but who knows when, right?” Nick said as he looked at him.

“Sure.” Aj nodded.

“And she’s really cute, and nice, and not so..” Nick stopped as he thought about the words.

“Hollywood?” Aj asked looking back at him.

“Yeah.” Nick nodded. “Figures, I meet one, and it’s in another dimension.” Nick sighed as Aj giggled a little. “Are we in another dimension?”

“I don’t know, and I don’t want to think about that, this place hurts my head enough.” Aj said with a sigh.

“Yeah that’s for sure.” Nick said with a nod.

“This place gives you a headache?” Aj asked as he stopped walking and Nick stopped too. “You sure hide it well.”

“Hey just because I’m not all boohoo doesn’t mean I’m not freaking out about this.” Nick said as Aj rolled his eyes. “I’ve never been one to bitch you know that.”

“I’m not bitching.” Aj said quickly. “And Kevin would say otherwise.”

“Not saying you are dude, but seriously is it really that bad?” Nick asked ignoring the Kevin comment. “Being here, finding out we’re Princes and we can use magic, magic.” Nick said with a smile. “Don’t you feel it?”

“Feel what?” Aj asked nervously.

“When something happens, when people talk about us.” Nick said to him. “I get this feeling like something pushing me. Kevin talks about going home and I feel like I don’t want to go yet.”

“Really.” Aj said a little shocked.

“Would it be so bad?” Nick asked.

“Dude.” Aj said a little breathless. “What about your family, the group.”

“Sure they’d miss the meal ticket, and the well you guys can go on with four.” Nick said with a shrug. “I’m just saying anyways, not like I’ll actually stay, damn calm down.”

“You know what? I really don’t want to hear this right now.” Aj said as he started to walk away.

“What about Rayne?” Nick asked as Aj stopped.

“What about her?” Aj asked turning around.

“Well first you save her, then she saves you, you seem to be talking to her a lot more than you talk to us about things here and this morning you jumping right to her aid when she wanted to go to the island and find Rem.” Nick said as he walked up to Aj.

“You followed as soon as Nalia chimed in.” Aj said quickly to him.

“And this isn’t about me, besides, hello, I said I was going to ask her to dinner.” Nick said raising his eyebrows. “Look I’m not forcing you to do something you don’t want to, but seriously Alex you should try just dropping it all and going with the ‘what if’ cause it’s hella fun.” Nick said and Aj watched as Nick started walking down the street. Taking a deep breath he let out his frustration and followed his friend.

“So where are we meeting everyone?” Aj asked as he finally caught up too Nick.

“In Marsa’s meeting room.” Nick said as he glanced at Aj from the corner of his eye. “He’s going to show us what his Riders mapped out.”

“Mapped out?” Aj asked confused.

“Yeah like where they saw Johon’s men camped and stuff.” Nick said as the guards opened the castle door for them.

“Oh.” Aj said nodding.

“Hey did you know that the Dwarves are rulers of the sea?” Nick asked.

“Rulers of the sea?” Aj asked confused.

“Yeah Marsa was telling me that they are known for sailing the sea’s of Pixcadia.” Nick said. “Sailing is in their blood.”

“Well that’s interesting.” Aj said with a nod, knowing how much Nick loved sailing.

“You know what else he told me?” Nick said as they walked behind the stairs.

“What?” Aj asked almost sarcastically.

“Elvaan’s are entertainers.” Nick said with a light smile. “Many of them have traveled around Pixca performing, singing, acting.” Aj looked at Nick as he walked into Marsa’s meeting room. It was another thing to send his mind spinning.

“Ah, Alexander good you’re here.” Marsa said with a smile. “We can begin.”

“Where are the guys?” Aj asked.

“Marsa thought we could get more done if Kevin wasn’t here.” Nick said and Aj saw the small smile on his face.

Aj walked over to Marsa’s desk, where there was a large map. As his eyes skimmed across the map he read the names of the country’s and city’s. Kalica, Pomia, Sarila, Sera, and as he read the names and saw the vast amount of land each of the country’s own, he saw with his own eyes exactly how big and bad this war had gotten.

“This is Darlawind.” Marsa said pointing to the map. “It’s a small town, the only town on the island. The Riders have seen Rem and Johon’s men here.” Marsa said as he pointed to a spot a little ways from the town. “They are about three miles from the town, and are holding there, I have been able to get reinforcements to Darlawind last night.”

“Does Johon plan to attack Darlawind, take it as a holding point?” Nalia asked.

“I believe so, but we do not know for sure.” Marsa said with a sigh.

“Then we will find out.” Rayne said as Aj looked at her.

“When do we leave?” Aj asked.

“You will leave now; it will take an hour to fly there. Avit will be with you, when you arrive you’ll then discuss the best course of action.” Marsa told them. “Please all four of you be careful and do not put any of yourselves in danger.” Everyone nodded and agreed, although Aj saw how reluctant Rayne was.

Marsa rolled up the map and everyone headed out of his meeting room. They left the castle and headed to the Gryphon tower. Aj was a little surprise to find himself not that nervous, if anything he was anxious. He was anxious to get there, to find Rem, find out what happened, and find a way to end this war.

“Hey.” Aj said when he looked up and saw the other guys standing by the Gryphon Tower.

“So you’re still going.” Kevin said in a tone Aj knew meant he wasn’t happy.

“Yep.” Aj said with a nod.

“I think it’s stupid and we should be home by now.” Kevin said.

“Stupid?” Aj said as he felt all the anxiety and all the frustration come to a head. Aj walked over to Marsa and took the Map from him. He unrolled it and held it up to Kevin’s face. “See all the red lines sketched across the countries.” Aj said angerly. “That is everything Johon has taken from them, and I’m sorry Kevin, but if I can do something to get all this back for them, too keep them from loosing more, then I’m going to damn it!” Aj shouted. He pulled the map down and rolled it up, he walked over to Marsa and handed it back to him, then walked over to Avit and a Gryphon. Everyone stood there quiet for a moment.

“Just be careful.” Brian said as him and Howie walked up to Nick.

Aj looked up at the giant bird as he stroked his fingers along the soft feathers. He was a little surprised the birds were so gentle with how they looked and everything. When he felt someone standing beside him he looked over and saw Rayne putting down her bag near the Gryphon beside his.

“Are you alright?” She asked as she turned to him.

“Yeah I’m fine; it’s just sometimes he can be so thick headed.” Aj sighed.

“I’ve noticed that.” Rayne said with a light smile. “Did you really mean what you said, about getting it back for us?”

“If I can, then yeah.” Aj said with a nod.

“We are ready.” Avit said to the two and then walked over to Marsa. Aj and Rayne followed and walked up to Nick and Nalia.

“May Pixca watch over the four of you, her soldiers” Marsa said and then lightly bowed to them.

“You two come back safe.” Howie said as he looked to Aj and Nick.

“All four of you.” Brian said with a nod. Aj looked over to Kevin and he angerly rolled his eyes and looked away. Aj sighed and looked at Brian and Howie.

“We will don’t worry about us.” Aj said with a smile. The two guys hugged their band mates and then loaded up their Gryphon’s.

Aj sat behind Avit and looked down to his friends. He knew this was it, the crossroads. This was him making his choice, and he wasn’t going to mope over it anymore. They said he was this Prince Alexander, so he was going to play the part and what ever came from it, came from it. With one last look at Kevin, he felt the bird jerk down and then jump up. He waved to Brian and Howie as they waved to them and soon they were high above the land, heading towards the island.


It didn’t really take long for them to reach the island, not as long as it took to reach Rayne and her Father on the ships. Aj looked around when he felt the bird starting to descend, and he saw that much of the island looked like Winnol.

“There.” Avit shouted as he raised his arm. “In the distance, do you see it?”

Aj looked out to his right and saw in the distance, he saw a couple of large tree’s standing up from the clouds. As they slowly fell below the clouds he saw more tree’s, but as the clouds disappeared he saw that there were lights coming from the tree’s.

“What is that?” Aj asked.

“It is Darlawind.” Avit shouted back. “That means Johon’s camp is somewhere over there.” Avit said pointing. Aj looked down a little and around the other side of the bird.

“We should land here then.” Aj shouted as he pointed down.

“Yes, I agree.” Avit nodded. He then singled to Soula’s Second in Command or SC for short. All the birds descended down into the trees carefully gliding there way to the ground below.

“Set up a parameter.” Avit said to a soldier as he jumped down from the Gryphon. “Johon’s camp is that way.” Avit pointed.

“Man that’s fun.” Nick said smiling as he walked over to Aj. Aj smiled as he jumped down and grabbed his bag. “So what do we do now?”

“Set up camp.” Aj said at the same time Rayne did. Nick lightly smiled and gave Aj the eye.

Everyone helped out setting up shelters in thick areas where it was harder to see them. Making sure they were hidden incase Johon had patrol’s out; although they were sure he wouldn’t send them this far, if he didn’t know they were there. Aj was tucking his bag into the small shelter he had made, when the sound of bickering distracted him. He looked behind him and saw Avit and Rayne arguing.

“I do not understand why we can not go now.” Rayne said angerly.

“Please, Princess Rayne, if you want to go tonight and look at our situation that is fine, but at least wait until dark.” Avit said with a little plea.

“And what of Johon and Rem, should I just sit here while they lay claim to another of Pixcadia’s lands?” she said. Aj stood up and wondered if he should say something.

“The camp is still quiet small, we are not sure they are ready for that kind of attack, which is why we are here.” Avit said.

“We are here to get Rem, and find out what he knows!” Rayne shouted, and everyone at the camp stopped and looked at her.

“You would risk your life, the Guardians, everything just to get Rem this one time?” Avit asked her, she looked back to him. Aj sighed when he saw her turn away from Avit and angerly walked away from him. Avit looked up at Aj and then headed towards his men as they stood around a table mapping out a plan. He walked in the direction that Rayne had walked and headed into the forest. It was getting dark and harder for him to see. He stopped and looked around he heard a light whisper and looked to his left. Sitting on a rock under a tree was Rayne; slowly he made his way over and as he got closer he saw Paq lying down by her feet.

“You shouldn’t be out here alone.” Aj said as he stopped a couple of feet away from her.

“I can take care of myself.” She said

“Never said you couldn’t.” Aj said as he saw her wipe her face with her sleeve lightly. “I haven’t been here very long and even I know Avit is right.” She turned and looked at him; her eyes were red and puffy. “And I know you want to find the answers to your questions, but if you go and get caught, what then?”

“I just need to know.” She said as she looked away. “Why Father did what he did, why Rem did what he did, how could they think Johon would be good for Pixcadia?”

“I don’t know.” Aj said as he walked over to her. He sat down on the ground beside her, crossing his legs under him. “Since I got here, one thing I’ve notice was how much your Father wanted to protect you, I mean he went against what he believed in because he wanted you close.”

“And now he has left me alone.” Rayne said as she sniffed. “With Kalica gone, Sarila gone, and now Winnol on the edge of war.” She stopped and took a deep breath.

“You’re scared.” Aj said as he looked up at her. She looked down at him, at first he saw shock in her face, then denial, and then she looked away.

“I will only admit this to you.” She said quietly. “But yes I am.” He frowned a little when he saw a tear fall from cheek down to her robe. Slowly he reached his hand over and placed it on hers; she looked up a little stunned.

“Me too.” Aj said as he closed his hand over hers. Slowly a small smile crept across her face. The growl and movement of Paq perking up made them both jump and look at the wolf. She was now on all fours and slowly moving forward.

“What’s going on?” Aj asked both staying still.

“She senses something, not a friend.” Rayne said as she looked to Aj.

“That’s what I figured.” He said with a light sigh. “We should get back to camp.”

“We must see what it is.” Rayne said back too him as she stopped him from walking.

“Now’s not the time, we should get Avit.” Aj said too her. She looked back to where Paq was guarding and then looked to Aj. “Alright.” She said reluctantly. He took her by the hand and they headed back to the camp, keeping an eye on what was going on behind them. Then both of them stopped dead as the sound of ice crackling was heard around them.

“Oh no.” Aj heard Rayne whisper and he looked down, his feet were stuck in Ice.

“Ice trap?” Aj asked as he stared at his feet incased in an ice block.

“Yes.” Rayne said and he heard the panic in her voice. He quickly looked up and around into the trees. “Where’s Paq?” Rayne asked quickly.

“I don’t know.” Aj said, and then the sound of people shouting in front of them took their attention.

“It is coming from the camp.” Rayne said her voice even more panicked. Aj pulled his legs up but they wouldn’t move, then with one final pull the spell released, and he fell forward. “They take some time to get use too.” Rayne said as she took his arm and helped him up. He lightly smiled at her and then they took off running towards the camp.

When they arrived they saw what they had feared. Johon’s men had found the camp, and an all out fight had broken out. Aj scanned around the camp for Nick but he couldn’t see him, he then looked for Avit and saw him fighting off two soldiers and one coming up behind him with a sword. Aj threw out his arm and a glow of blue sparked from his fingers, and then an ice bolt flew from his hand and smashed into the soldier running at Avit. As Avit flung his sword into the last guard he was fighting, he spun around and saw the man that would have killed him. He looked to Aj and Aj saw relief in his eyes.

“Where’s Nick!?” Aj shouted to Avit

“Rem and his men, he took Nalia, Nick chased after him.” Avit said.

“Which way did they go?” Rayne asked looking at Avit.

“They went that way towards where Johon’s camp would be.” Avit said pointing to an eastern direction. “Wait Princess!” Avit shouted and Aj spun around and saw Rayne taking off towards the forest. Aj looked back from Rayne too Avit, Avit looked at him and then looked around. “Go with her Alexander, I think we have this under control.” Avit said. Aj took one last look around and then ran after Rayne.

He dodged around the trees; he kept low and made sure he stopped to look around, seeing if anyone was fallowing him. He would whisper as loud as he could for Rayne, Nick, or Nalia, but no one answered. When he saw a dim light through the trees, he stopped, then he heard the whispers of people talking, the light off in the distance clanging of metal. Aj had the feeling he had come up onto the camp, or a camp. He crouched down lower, behind some bushes. His eyes scanned the camp, what he could see of it. He stopped when his eyes caught Nick. Two soldiers held him by the small fire.

“Where is she!?” A man shouted as he walked in front of Nick.

“Who?” Nick said. Aj watched as the man nodded and the two soldiers slammed Nick down to his knees, and he shouted in pain. Aj felt the anger rush through him.

“Where is she?” The man asked again.

“She? Do you know who you’re talking to? I see a lot of she’s, your going to have to be more specific.” Nick said again.

“What are you doing dumbass.” Aj whispered as one of the soldiers grabbed Nick’s hair and pulled his head back, and he moaned in pain.

“I do not have time for this.” The man said impatiently, and as he turned, the fire lit up his face and Aj saw it was Sarila’s Guardian Rem. Rem pulled out his sword and raised it into the air. Aj’s breath left his lungs and he stood up ready to attack.

“Don’t!!” Someone shouted and Aj stopped all movement. “I am here.” Said the woman’s voice and Aj saw Nalia come out from behind the two soldiers, from her hiding spot in the trees.

“Ah, Princess Nalia, so nice of you to finally join us.” Rem said as Aj knelt back down behind the bushes. Aj’s heart began to race faster; he didn’t know what to do. There were about ten to fifteen men, plus Rem. There was no way he could take them all, and he had no clue where Rayne was. He looked around trying to find a sign of her or a sign of Paq. The sound of Nick yelling made Aj look back to the camp, and he saw another guard grabbing Nalia.

“Careful with that one, she is a Warrior and quick with her hands.” Rem said as he pointed to Nalia. Aj shuffled his feet a little; they were getting sore but as he put his foot down, the sound of a branch cracking made his heart skip a beat. Slowly he looked up and saw everyone staring in his direction. He wasn’t sure if they saw him or not, but they were defiantly looking his way.

“Oh shit.” Aj whispered as he quickly looked behind him. When he turned around he saw Rem heading right for him.

“It’s the Mage!!” Rem shouted as Aj stood up and took off.

“Aj run!” Nick yelled when he saw Aj pop up. He was silenced by the back hand of a guard.

Quickly Aj spun around and headed back through the trees. He could hear the men shouting, then a blast of fire exploded by his head, and he fell to his hands and knees. Aj hurried to his feet again and when he had his balance he looked back, the men, and Rem still on him. He was too busy looking at what was going on behind him; he didn’t see the root of a tree sticking up from the ground. His foot caught the root and tripped him up; he fell hard to the ground. Aj grunted in pain as his body trapped his arm between the hard ground and the momentum of his body falling. Spinning on to his back as quick as he could, he looked up and saw a guard coming at him. He pulled himself back as quick as he could; his arm shot pain all through him.

He tried to think of a spell, tried to think of something, but the thought of this guard in front of him with his sword raised at him, made everything in his mind go blank. Suddenly something jumped on the man from Aj’s right. As the man screamed in pain, the wolf growling as it stood on top of him, Aj caught his breath, his thoughts returning, and as they did he realized it was Paq. Looking up he checked back towards the camp, no one else had followed, at least not yet. Then he started looking around for Rayne but he couldn’t see her any where. He looked back down to the wolf, double checking it was hers. As the animal stepped down off the guard’s body, she turned her head and looked at him. She walked over to him and began to sniff him. He still was a little nervous, this wolf in front of him. Her blue eyes gazed back at him, and he held his breath for a moment. Then her tongue lashed out and she began licking him.

“Um, Hi.” Aj said with a little laugh. She then stopped and whined a little as she took a couple of steps back towards the camp. “Where’s Rayne?” He said, and then he stopped himself realizing he was talking to a wolf. Paq whined again and took another couple of steps towards the small camp of Johon’s men. Slowly he took a step forward and started following her back to the camp. Quietly they walked through the trees, Aj made sure he didn’t step on any branches. He felt a little safer knowing Paq was with him, she could hear anything coming up on him, but yet it made him worry, why wasn’t she with Rayne.


When the two came up onto the camp again, Aj crouched down. He looked around and saw they were a few feet from where he was last time but a little further back. Scanning back along the camp, he didn’t see anyone, but a couple of guards. No Nick, no Nalia, not even Rem.

“Psst.” He heard from behind him and it made him freeze. Slowly he turned around. He didn’t see anything. “Look up fawker.” He heard the whisper, and he smiled a little, recognizing the voice. Aj looked up and saw Nick and Nalia hiding on some tree branches. Quietly he crept over to the tree.

“What are you two doing, and how did you get away?” Aj whispered confused.

“That little distraction you caused, they all went after you.” Nick said nodding to the camp. “We took out what was left.”

“So why are you up in a tree?” Aj asked quietly.

“We were running away, when we heard fighting. We came upon Rayne fighting Rem, but they over came her before we could get to her.” Nalia whispered and Aj quickly turned to the camp.
“What’s with the pet?” Nick asked from behind Aj. He turned around and saw that they had climbed down from the tree. Aj then looked down to Paq.

“I don’t know. I was running from them, I fell, she jumped the dude and saved me, kind of led me back here.” Aj said as he looked to the camp. “We can take them.” Aj said as he started walking towards the camp. Someone grabbing his arm stopped him from going any further and he turned around.

“She’s not there.” Nick said as Aj looked at Nick’s hand on his arm. “Rem and most of the guards left for the main camp, just before you showed up. They took off like a bat out of hell.”

“Why didn’t you stop them?” Aj asked.

“Dude, there was no way we could.” Nick said as Aj pulled his arm away.

“So what do we do now?” Aj asked frustrated.

“There are about five soldiers in the camp, Rem told them to pack up and be at the main camp tomorrow, keep an eye out for us.” Nalia said. “We take them; see if we can find anything that can help us.” She explained. She then looked at Aj. “Then we go back to Avit, and figure something out.”

“No, we can’t just leave her we have to go.” Aj said in an angry whisper.

“The three of us can not go into Rem’s camp alone, we need Avit and we need his men.” Nalia said to him.

“Dude, she’s right.” Nick said as Aj looked at him. “We’ll get her; we just got to be smart about it.” Nick said. “Even Rambo had back up, sometimes.” Aj snickered and shook his head.

“Alright.” Aj sighed. “So, how do we take this camp?”

Rayne sat on the ground, in a large tent. Her hands were tied behind her back around one of the tent poles. Her legs were tied around her knees, and her ankles were tied together as well. Rem had also gagged her mouth after she got too lippy with him. It’s also why she now had a black eye.

She was watching Nalia and Nick at the camp; she had followed the sounds of the soldiers as they took Nick back to their camp. Rayne was only going to watch for a moment, make sure he was ok; she wasn’t sure how they got him. Then Nalia popped up out of no where, then Alex popped up, and then they took off after Alex. When Nick and Nalia started fighting what was left at the camp, she and Paq took off after Alex and Rem. She was able to catch up to most of them, but she saw one still following and that’s when Rayne sent Paq after him.

“Protect him as you would me.” She remembered telling her loyal friend. She looked up at the tent ceiling as she hoped Paq got to him in time. The sound of someone walking into the tent made her look down and she saw Rem entering.

“Princess.” He said with a light bow. “Or should I say Queen?” She looked at him angerly. “With your Father dead and all, Sarila is yours.” He then turned to her. “Oh no wait, Johon has Sarila too.” He smiled. “Well I guess I do not have to call you Princess either.”

She growled through the cloth in her mouth and looked away. It was hard for her to believe he was acting this way towards her. She had known him all her life, she was her Fathers best friend, and now he was part of the reason he was gone.

“Your Father was once a wise, strong man.” Rem said as he slowly walked over to her. “But then your mother died, and well.” He said as he knelt down in front of him. “He wasn’t about battle any more, he wanted peace, so much so, he was willing to sell off his only child for it.” He leaned in close to her, a little two close to her liking, and she sent her head forward and head butted him. She shouted in pain as her head began to throb. When she opened her eyes she saw Rem on the ground holding his head, moaning in pain. Then quickly he sat up and reached for her throat.

“You wretched harlot give me one reason why I should not squeeze the life out of you right now.” Rem growled angerly at her and she began to choke.

“Because then Johon would have your head.” A voice said from the tent flaps and Johon jumped up quickly letting go of Rayne. She gasped for air and coughed but it was hard with the cloth over her mouth. Then slowly the cloth slipped from her mouth, and when her lips were free she gasped again. “What do you think Johon would say if I returned to Sarila and told him what I just saw?” Said the voice as Rayne looked up. Her eyes went wide when she saw the Mage that had attacked Winnol earlier.

“She was being a pain as she always was.” Rem said as he looked at her. Rayne glared at him as her breathing calmed.

“I would not push it Rem, I heard from the men, you had two Guardians, but gave them up for one?” The Mage said and Rayne heard a familiarity about the voice, and she was a little shock to realize the voice was female.

“It was the Elvaan Mage.” Rem said in defense. “Besides, it led us to Rayne.”

“Yes.” The Mage said as they turned to Rayne. “It did.” Rayne looked up, still not being able to see the face of this mysterious Mage. “Well no matter, Johon is on his way now.”

“He is?” Rem said a little shocked. “But you said he was in Sarila? We are not ready to attack Winnol yet.”

“Well then you better get ready Rem, he will not be happy when he arrives.” The Mage said to him as she turned a little. Rayne watched as Rem’s face fell and he quickly left the tent. Then the Mage turned and looked at her.

“So.” The Mage said. “This is the great Princess Rayne of Sarila, daughter to King Adop and Queen Halian.” Rayne said nothing as she looked down to the ropes around her knees.

“Johon can not possibly think he can take on Winnol with the men he has out there.” Rayne said as she looked up.

“Do not be silly child.” The Mage laughed. “We have twenty ships on the way, and in those twenty ships..” she stopped and looked at Rayne. “Well know how many men Sarila’s fleet can carry.” She walked over to the tent opening and turned around. “No my dear Princess, Winnol will fall, and the Guardians with it.” Rayne watched as the Mage left the tent and she looked down. There had to be a way she could get out. She moaned and she laid her head back, it hit the wooden pole a little hard.

“Ouch.” She groaned as she looked back a little. When she did she saw the cloth of the tent was wiggling a little. She looked around, to the top, there was no wind. With a little force she leaned back again, the pole wiggled. Thinking about the plan, if she could wiggle the pole loose, the tent would fall, she could slid her hands out and then, then find her way out of the tent, and then fight against fifty of Johon’s men. She sighed as the plan fell through.

The sound of shouting took her thoughts of her plans away and she looked to the tent flaps. They were closed and she couldn’t see anything. Then the sounds of more men shouting, and spells going off, made her even more curious. Was Avit attacking? Suddenly the tent doors flew open and Rem came running in.

“Change of plans Princess.” He said as he ran behind her and untied her. She tried to fight him, but let him lead her out of the tent, easier to run away with open forest around her. They broke through the flaps and she looked around at the chaos. Winnol’s soldier’s fighting Johon’s men and she turned to Rem pulling harder to free herself. She cleared her mind and focused as the sound of roots entangling themselves in front of her; she slammed into Rem and fell to the ground.

Quickly she looked up and saw Rem stuck in her Root Binding spell. Again she cleared her mind and a crash of light fell onto Rem, the noise rumbled like thunder through the camp. Rem fell over in pain, his feet still stuck in the spell. As another beam of light fell onto him the roots let go, but it didn’t matter, the man laid motionless on the ground.





Aj stood by the fire of the camp looking around at the mess they had created. They had easily taken over the soldier’s that were left and now were searching the camp for any clues, or anything that could help.

“Rem seemed to have left in a hurry, so there must be something.” Nalia said as she stopped and looked around.

“I haven’t found anything, just some orders about ships coming in tonight.” Nick said with a shrug.

“Does it say from where?” Nalia asked. Aj watched as Nick looked at the paper.

“It says our army from Sarila, Ah Sarila.” Nick said nodding.

“He’s planning an attack on Winnol.” Nalia said looking to Aj.

“Whoa, it says there’s like twenty ships coming.” Nick said looking at them.

“How many men fit on a ship?” Aj asked.

“For war, you do not want to know.” Nalia said as her face fell. Aj sighed in frustration. Just then the sounds of men walking through the forest took their attention and they looked behind them.

“There you are.” Avit said relieved. “Where is Princess Rayne?” He asked.

“Rem has her.” Aj said as the rest of the soldier’s caught up to Avit. “He took her to the main camp, we took care of what ever was left here, but we only found that.” Aj said pointing to Nick. Nick walked over to the Elvaan and handed him the paper. Aj watched as Avit read it and his face fell with worry and even fear.

“Send this to King Marsa, right away.” Avit said to a solider as he handed him the paper.

“Yes Sir.” The man said with a salute and then took off running.

“How many were here?” Avit asked as he walked up to Nalia, Nick and Aj.

“I think about ten.” Aj said. “Thought there might have been more, most of them left with Rem, after they took Rayne, there were only about five left when Rem took off.”

“What happened?” Avit asked as he singled for his men to clear the camp.

Aj, Nalia and Nick explained to him what had happened. What they all saw and what they did afterwards. Avit told the three of them to rest, they would see if they could find anything, then whether they found something or not would head to the main camp and find Rayne. Aj sat down on a log by the fire and put his head in his hands as his elbows rested on his knees. Taking a deep breath in, he exhaled out with a sigh. Suddenly he felt something poking his arm and he lifted his head from his hands. He looked over and saw Paq beside him, when he sat back a little she put her head on his lap. Lightly he smiled as he placed his hand on her head and began to pet her.

“Marsa will be pleased to know that Paq is with you.” Avit said startling Aj. He looked up a little confused. “I suppose you would not know.” Avit said with a light smile. “One of the first trails of a Druid is to summon a wolf spirit. It proves there is a link between Nature and the Druid.” Avit explained. “When the wolf can be away from the Druid, that is a great step for the Druid, it means she is linked to others, and she has matured as a Druid.”

“Great.” Aj said as he looked back down to Paq. There was no enthusiasm in his voice at all. “I’m going to take a look around.” Aj said as he stood up and headed towards the south side of the camp. The wolf walked beside him as they crisscrossed through the trees around the camp. He wasn’t really looking around; he just wanted to get away. After he had calmed down a little he made his way back to the camp and saw everyone packing up.

“What’s going on?” Aj asked as Nick walked over.

“We’re heading to the main camp now.” Nick said as he nodded to the soldier’s gathering together.

“Finally.” Aj said as he walked passed Nick and headed to Avit.

“Aj’s got a crush.” Nick sang as he did a little dance.

“What?” Aj said spinning around.

“Dude, look at you, running off after her, all protective, and now you got her dog.” Nick said smiling

“It’s a wolf.” Aj said correcting him.

“Whatever.” Nick said. “You still got a crush.” He whispered as Avit came over. Aj was about to say something when Avit approached them.

“I have sent my scouts ahead, we will leave now.” Avit told them. Aj looked at Nick and rolled his eyes as he walked away. He could hear Nick giggling as he followed Avit.

“How far do you think it is?” Aj asked as Avit stopped.

“I am thinking a twenty minute walk, maybe longer.” Avit said. Aj sighed and he didn’t realize anyone had heard him.

“You are worried about her.” Avit said as they began walking into the forest. Aj looked up at him ready to snap, who cares if he was, he didn’t need to hear it. But he stopped himself, Avit wouldn’t have gone there with him, Avit wasn’t the guys, he wasn’t Kevin.

“Yeah I am.” Aj said as he looked away.

Why do you try and hide it?” Avit asked.

“My friends.” Aj said as he looked behind him and saw Nick talking to Nalia. “Well not so much that one.” Aj said looking back. He looked up and saw Avit smiling. “The others though, would just harp on me about it, you know the fact that I would be going home and that it would just lead to a big bad mess.”

“I see.” Avit said with a nod. “I assure you we will get her back.” Aj just lightly smiled at him. They would stop a couple of times to check over the map and look around. Aj looked to the cliffs on his left as Avit talked to one of his guards. The sound of Paq growling made him look down.

“Avit.” Aj said as he tapped the General on his arm. Avit heard the wolf now and raised his hand for everyone too stop.

“My scouts said it was around this area.” Avit said as he began to scan. Aj knew Avit’s eye sight was much better than his. He looked down when he felt Paq’s cold nose on his hand, she was nudging him to go forward. Aj looked to Avit and he nodded. He looked back to Nick and Nalia and motioned for them to come.

As Aj, Nick and Nalia headed towards the camp, Avit sent his men spreading out as best they could, to attack the camp on all sides. When they got close enough everyone surveyed the area, seeing how many soldiers were there and where Rem was.

“Should we attack?” Nick asked.

“I do not see Rayne.” Nalia whispered back.

“Avit?” Aj asked looking at him.

“We should attack, everyone knows to look for her, if we cause some chaos maybe it will help.”

“I’m good at that.” Nick said nodding. Aj smirked and he looked back to the camp.

“Look.” Aj said pointing and everyone looked back to the camp.

“Is that?” Nick asked as he tried to get a better look.

“It is that Mage that attacked the castle.” Nalia said as Aj looked to Avit.

“We attack.” Avit said to him with a nod. Avit turned and motioned his men to attack, with an Elvaan war cry the men began to charge, and then followed by the others.

When Aj broke from the tree’s he saw men running around, screaming and flinging weapons. He began to look around as he sent spell after spell flying at Johon’s men. Slowly he made his way through the camp, with Paq at his side biting and pulling at Johon’s men. They would attack and Aj would fight them off.

“Alexander!” He heard Avit shout and he looked over ready to attack, but nothing or no one was coming at him. Avit was pointing ahead of him; Aj followed in the direction and saw Rayne being dragged out from a tent by Rem. Another soldier came at Aj and he sent out an ice bolt knocking the man to the ground. A loud rumble made him look up and he saw a bright beam of light come down. He pushed the man out of the way and headed towards Rayne. When his line of sight was clear he saw Rayne on the ground as another beam of light came down onto Rem who was tangled up in some vines. He watched as Rem fell to the ground and stayed there. Aj took a step towards Rayne, as one of the guards tackled him to the ground, a loud screaming voice made Winnol’s men, Johon’s men, and everyone stop fighting and look.

Aj froze when he saw the Mage standing in front of Rayne, he watched as they picked Rayne up off the ground, by the back of her robe, she struggled to get away, a spell about to leave her lips; the Mage silenced her with a spell and looked to Aj.

“Is this what you came for Elvaan?” The Mage said to Aj and for the first time Rayne realized he was there.

“Let her go!” Aj shouted as the soldiers went to their respective sides, as Nick, Nalia and Avit, walked up beside Aj.

“Or you will what, save her?” The Mage said with a laugh. “You are no match for me; you do not understand or can even comprehend the power I have.” Aj took a step forward but the Mage pulled Rayne up higher. “Do not even think about it Elvaan.” The Mage shouted. “You know you are new to your talent, maybe I should give you a small lesson.”


The Mage picked Rayne up by the throat and held her off the ground. Aj looked down when he heard Paq growl. The Mage looked at Rayne and then looked to Alex. The hood covered her face even Rayne still couldn’t see what she looked like.

“You see Alexander, when you become more accustomed to your talent you’ll learn that not only can you suck the energy from Pixcadia, but you can also suck the energy from.” She stopped as she looked to Aj. “everything.” She spoke, then without taking her eyes off of him, her face turned in anger, and as AJ heard a loud gasp, Nalia yell, and Avit’s men jump forward he looked at Rayne. The Mage’s hand was glowing around her neck, and Rayne started to whimper in pain as the Mage began to drain her energy.

The anger started to rise in Aj and as the anger over came him it started to reach out, reaching out for the energy around him. A light breeze blew past him as he stared at Rayne, her grip on the Mages hand, slowly slipping. Slowly the Mage set Rayne’s feet on the ground and let go of her. She collapsed to the ground with a thud.

“Class dismissed.” The Mage said as she closed her hands over each other in front of her. But too her surprise the wind started to pick up and the mage looked up to the sky. Aj was now pulling in a lot of energy, and the wind blew so hard everyone was grabbing on to something to hold themselves down.




“What’s going on?” Nick asked Nalia as they looked to Aj.

“I think..” Nalia was a little shocked. “He could not be, could he?”

“Nalia?” Nick said tapping her on the shoulder. “Could he what?” Nick asked looking to him then back to her. “What is he doing?”

“It’s a Wind Storm.” Nalia shouted as the whistling got louder and it got harder to hold on, the wind getting stronger. “It is a spell, one of the Ancients and he is casting it.” Nick looked around; the trees were bending against the strength of the wind blowing. He looked over to the Mage and she was barely able to stand up. Carefully he made his way over to Aj.

“Aj!?” He shouted as he approached him. He lived in Florida, he went through a hurricane or two, and it wasn’t that bad right now, but remembering the conversation he had with Aj earlier in the Council, he realized it could. His friend was standing completely still despite everyone else having to hold on to something. Nick noticed there were small wisps of wind circling around his fingers, and he looked at him, his eyes were glowing. “Alex..” he said breathless and stunned. “Aj!?” He shouted again and reached for him but stopped, not sure if he should touch him.

“Get her out of here.” Aj said but he was still staring at the Mage.

“What?” Nick asked.

“Get Rayne, and get out of the spell.” Aj said again calmly but sternly. Nick hesitated as he looked at his friend, the wind flapping his robe around. He then looked to Rayne who was lying on the ground. “Go Nick now.” Aj said. Nick looked back and then headed to Rayne. He picked up and struggled to get across the camp. Avit came up on his right, with Nalia and helped him carry her out of the spell range. As soon as they crossed the wind stopped and they almost fell onto the ground, from the momentum.

“Lay her down here.” Nalia said as Nick walked over with Rayne in his arms. He laid her down on a clear spot under a tree and then looked back. He couldn’t see anything, the wind was picking up so much debris and swirling it around it blocked his view. Nick stood up and headed towards the spell again, to get Aj, when a loud thundering crash was heard and the wind tunneled away through the trees, sucking everything in its path with it.

“Are you alright?” Nalia asked, and Nick turned around and saw Rayne sitting up.

“I think so.” Rayne said as she put her hand on her forehead. “What happened?”

“It is a very long story.” Nalia said as she helped her sit up.

“Where is Alex?” Rayne asked as she looked around at the people around her.

“Aj.” Nick said as he spun around. The spell was gone, so was the camp and anything that wasn’t tied down.

“Where is he?” Rayne asked again as she walked up to Nick, much to the displeasure of Avit and Nalia.

“He was there, he was casting the spell, and he told me to get you and get out.” Nick said as his eyes searched frantically.

“What spell?” Rayne asked confused. Nick looked at her then to Nalia.

“It was a Wind Spell, I think, it was a very strong Wind Spell, I think he..” Nalia stopped. Nick saw the worry in Rayne’s eyes when she realized what spell he had cast.

“A Tohil spell?” Rayne said breathless. Nick watched as Nalia could only nod. “Where was he standing?” Rayne asked. Nick looked to where the camp was and started walking. Avit walked beside him as he ordered his mean to spread out and search.

“It was a terrible wind Rayne; I could barely hold on, I can not think what else it could have been.” Nalia told her, as they followed Nick. He was pretending to search but still listened.

“No one has conjured those spells in hundreds of years Nalia.” Rayne said with worry. “Not even past Guardians.”

“I know.” Nalia said quietly.

“I think.” Nick said as he stopped. “He was here.” He looked around, but there were no tents, not tables, nothing to mark any specific point. Nick started looking behind him, when a howl in the distance made the three look at each other.

“Was that?” Nalia asked looking at Rayne.

“Yes it was.” Rayne said quickly as she started running pass Nick.

“Avit!” Nick shouted to the General and motioned in the direction they were running. Nick could hear the guards behind them as they dodge around the trees. Asking what was going on with all the confusion. He stopped at Rayne she was standing still looking around, and he bent over a little catching his breath.

“Where is she?” Nalia asked a little out of breath too.

“I am looking.” Rayne said as she scanned the woods. Just then shuffling sounds made them all look to the right and they saw Aj leaning up against a tree.

“Aj.” Nick said as they started walking towards him, and he started walking towards them.

Nick ran at Aj when he saw him start to fall to his knees and got to him just in time. He looked really tired, and barely aware of what was going on. Nick helped him sit on the ground as everyone gathered around them.

“Are you alright?” Nick asked with worry.

“I think.” Aj said a little breathless. “I’m just really tired.” He said with an exhausted laugh. “And my head hurts.”

“What the hell was that?” Nick asked him as he looked to his band mate.

“That..” Aj said taking a deep breath in. “That was hella fun.” He said with a crooked smile. Nick stopped wondering where he had heard that before.

“Dude, I didn’t mean like that.” Nick sighed, and it made Aj laugh hard, and then he winced in pain a little.

“Alex?” Nick heard Rayne say and he looked up.

“Oh.” Aj said as he looked up at her. “You’re ok?” he asked a little relieved.

“Yes.” She said with a light nod as she knelt down.

“Good.” Aj said with another exhausted smile.

“We need to get him back to Winnol; Johon’s men will be here around sunrise.” Avit said as he stood up. “He will not be happy when he glances upon his camp gone.”

“You know about the attack?” Rayne said to Avit as she stood up.

“Yes, Princess Nalia, Nickolas and Alexander found a letter in the other camp.” Avit said with a nod. “I have already sent word back to King Marsa.”

“Good.” Rayne said with relief.

“We will go back to Winnol; we will send more soldiers in Darlawind and double patrols through the island and mainland.” He said as he turned to Rayne. “You, Alexander, Nickolas and Princess Nalia will remain in the city.” Avit said to her. “I am telling you this as your Guardian Princess Rayne.”

“Yes Avit, I understand.” Rayne said with a nod. Nick looked back down to Aj and Nalia.

“So where did they all go?” He asked.

“Who?” Nalia said a little confused.

“Everyone that was here, Rem, the Mage, and Johon’s soldiers?” Nick asked.

“I do not know.” Nalia said with a light shrug. “They could be anywhere, scattered along the island that way, if any of them are still alive.” She said as she looked out to the forest.





Johon sat in his chambers on his newly acquired ship. Sarila had the best fleet next too Tokia and the Dwarves. Elvaans weren’t much for sailing; they preferred the land or air. He went over the last orders he had received from his camp on Winnol Island. Things were defiantly going his way. Kalica had been his for over a year, Sarila was now his, Adop dead, and Princess Rayne well, she would be his soon enough. The same went for Winnol, and Tokia, although he wasn’t sure if he was even going to bother with that cold barren land. Maybe he would just round them all up, use them as slaves and never think of the place again.

“Sir.” A man said from his door and he looked up.

“Knocking would be greatly appreciated.” Johon said annoyed.

“I did sssir, three times.” The man said with a stutter.

“What is it?” Johon asked, even more annoyed.

“We are near the shore of Winnol sir, but there is..” The man stopped.

“There is what?” Johon asked and he saw the nervousness in the man before him, even more so than usual. He stood up and walked around his desk. “What is going on Locsi?” Johon said to his Captain.

“There is debris everywhere sir and your men as well.” The Captain said quickly.

“What do you mean my men as well?” Johon asked a little confused. He then headed to his door and left his chambers. He stormed out onto the deck and looked around. His crew were yelling, hanging over the edges, and one by one he started seeing his dead soldiers being pulled onto the ship. He quickly walked over to the front of the ship, stepped up onto some boxes and looked around, down over the ocean shore in front of him.

Johon’s eyes went wide at what he saw, tents, wood, men; broken boxes littered the shore line. He looked out to the forest and saw the trees broken, crumbled, he saw the forest debris in amongst the debris of his stuff, in the water and along the shore.

“There she is!” Someone shouted and Johon spun around. He saw his men pointing out to the eastern side of the ship. Quickly he jumped down and ran over, he looked out across the water and in a short distance saw a black and silver robe floating in the water.

“Well do not just stand there get her, now!” Johon shouted and the men so panic over his anger jumped into the water and started swimming out to the Mage. Johon watched as the men pulled her and carefully pulled her up with the rescue hooks. As they laid her down on the deck floor, Johon knelt down beside her and pulled off her hood.

“Hali?” He said quietly as the ships Priest came up the stairs. “Halian can you hear me?” Johon said again as the Priest began healing her. Slowly her eyes opened and she lightly smiled. “Who did this Halian, what happened?” Johon asked.

“The Elvaan Mage.” She whispered with anger. “Tohil.” Was all she could get out before she passed back out.

“She needs rest, but I believe she will be ok.” The Priest said with a nod.

“Put her in my Chambers,” Johon said as he stood up.

“Sir?” His captain said as Johon looked out to the shore line again.

“What?” He said.

“Did I hear her right?” Locsi asked. “Tttt-that the Mage, tt-the one they say is Elvaan, did he really cast a Tohil spell?” Johon took a deep breath and looked at the man angerly. Slowly he turned his head and looked back to the shore line.

“It appears so.” Johon said with great annoyance.
Chapter 6 by VeeLynn
The Guardian Crusade

Volume I



Chapter 6



Aj laid down on the cloth stretcher as they helped him down from the Gryphon. By the time they started flying it wasn’t his head that was just hurting, it was every piece of him. He winced in pain a little as they picked him up and carried him down the tower. His eyes would flutter close as he felt himself wanting to sleep more and more. He heard some shouting and some commotion and his eyes slowly opened again.



“Alex are you ok man?” Kevin asked as Aj looked up and saw him, Brian, and Howie gathering around him.



“I’m fine just tired.” Aj said waving his hand a little.



“What the hell happened?” Kevin asked as he turned to Nick.



“Seriously Kevin I’m fine.” Aj said trying to calm him.



“You don’t look it.” Kevin said pointing to the stretcher.



“Well I am ok, so chill the fuck out!” Aj shouted back, and then he laid his head back and moaned as it throbbed.



“Dude, seriously, just let him rest, he’s fine.” Aj heard Nick say as they began to carry him again.



“Alexander.” Marsa said and Aj looked up, he saw the worry on the Elvaan’s face.



“I’m fine really, just tired.” Aj said with a sigh.



“What happened?” Marsa asked Avit as they followed.



Avit explained to them what had happened, the attack on the camp after they had arrived, Rem taking Nalia, and Nick going after her. This got some not so friendly looks from Kevin. Avit explained about what Aj, Nick and Nalia found at the camp, him sending the Rider back to relay the message. He told them about attacking the camp when they saw the Mage, and Rem pulling Rayne from the tent. Avit then told them what happened next, Rayne attacking Rem with her Nature spell. Then what the Mage did to her.



“What happened?” Marsa asked as he looked back to Nalia and Rayne as they came through the Healing Springs entrance.



“Alexander.” Avit said and Marsa looked at him, so did Kevin and the other guys. “Next thing I know, my men and I are holding on to anything we could so we did not become victims to his spell.”



“What spell?” Marsa asked looking around.



“Tohil.” Avit said as Marsa’s eyes went wide in shock.



“The Ancient wind spell, Avit are you sure?” Marsa said in disbelief.



“Very sir, like I told you, we could barely hold on.” Avit said to him. “When Nickolas rescued Rayne we left the spell area, then everything got sucked out of the forest with the spell.”



“What’s going on, I thought that’s what Mages did, cast spells, like weather spells and stuff like that.” Howie said looking around confused.



“Tohil is an Ancient word for Hurricane.” Kevin said looking to the guys.



“Dude?” Nick said looking at him confused.



“What, you’re the only one that can have useless information?’ Kevin scoffed at him sarcastically.



“Well I can tell you, that spell was pretty damn close to a Hurricane.” Nick said with a nod.



“So what’s the big deal about Aj casting it?” Brian asked still confused.



“Tohil is one of the Ancient mage spells; no one casts them anymore, because no one can, they are to strong, take up to much energy.” Marsa said as the guys looked around at each other.



“So you’re saying that Aj, our Aj cast a spell that no one has been able to do in like what?” Kevin said looking to Marsa shocked and a little confused.



“Hundreds of years, there is no record that I know of, of anyone using them in that span of time.” Marsa said. “The only reason we know about it, is because the Mages are well, very good at book keeping.”



“But how?” Kevin asked confused.



“He is one of the four Guardians; it is no surprise the power they can set forth.” Marsa said. “They are a mystery to us, all we know is they are here to protect us on behalf of Pixca, we follow only her word when it comes to them, and her word does not say the magnitude of their power.”



“But he’s just Aj.” Kevin said looking at Marsa.



“On Earth yes he is. But here in Pixcadia, he is a Guardian.” Marsa said as he placed his hand on Kevin’s shoulder.















Aj laid in the stone tub, the water was warm and soothing. The smell of the flowers and oils they put in the water made him feel calmer and it helped his headache a lot. The guys had come in to see him after the Elvaan Priest had settled him in. They didn’t really talk about what happened, and Kevin was unusually quiet. He figured they were saving the yelling at him until he was out of the Springs, and feeling better. Closing his eyes he inhaled deeply, letting the aroma of the oils and peddles sooth his aching head and body. He started to remember what it felt like, all that energy rushing through his body. It didn’t feel like the rush he got when he did drugs, and drank, it was a different rush, although the hang over from this was a lot worse.



He opened an eye and peered at the doorway as voices from outside his room broke him from his thoughts. He strained a little to hear what they were saying, and he pouted a little when he couldn’t hear them. They were close enough that he could hear them talking, but not what they were saying. As he sat up he looked at his hand, his fingers were getting wrinkly and he wondered how much longer he was going to have to be in here.



“Fuck it.” He said to himself as he pulled himself out of the stone tub, and walked over to the dry, fresh robe that hung on the wall beside him. He pulled it over him and tied it up. Looking it over as he pulled it tightly around him, he looked at his new clothing style. He didn’t mind the robes so much, many of them looked very nice, beautiful colours and fabrics, but he was always worried about it coming open.



“Alex is everything alright?” he heard Marsa’s voice behind him. Aj turned around and saw the Elvaan standing in the door way with Avit.



“Yeah I’m fine, was starting to shrivel up.” He lightly smiled as he lifted his hand a little.



“I see.” Marsa replied with a light smile. “Avit and I were just coming to see if you were ready to head back to your room.”



“Yeah.” Aj said with a nod as he walked over to the two at the doorway. “I’m getting hungry too.”



“I’ll tell the cook to prepare you something, and will have it brought up to your room.” Marsa said with a light smile.



“Cool.” Aj said with a nod as Marsa held out his arm for Aj to exit the room.







Nick walked down the hallways of the Tree Castle. He looked around at the ceiling, the walls, the pictures on the walls, the drapes on the walls; everything was very regal and bold. As he reached the end of the hall he looked at the large wooden door in front of him, with a light shrug he pushed on the door and opened it. Slowly the door opened and it revealed the room inside.



It was made of all stone, not like the rest of the castle where tree branches layered the walls. In the middle of the room a glass globe sat on a pedestal and it lightly glowed filling the room with a soft glow of white. Carefully he walked over to the globe and lifted his hand to it.



“I would not touch that if I were you.” A voice said from the door and Nick spun around in shock. He was startled to see Nalia standing there.



“Oh?” he said looking at the globe then back to her. “What? Will it turn me into a hideous monster?”



“No.” Nalia said with a light smile and laugh. “It will send you too Tokia.”



“Tokia? Where the Dwarves live?” Nick asked and Nalia nodded. “Oh.” He said looking back at the globe again as he realized what would have happened. “So what is this thing?”



“It’s a Travel globe.” Nalia said as she walked over to him. “There are four of them in each of the main cities. “One globe for Tokia, one globe for Sarila, one for Kalica, and one for Winnol.”



“What about Johon?” Nick asked.



“Pardon?” Nalia asked confused as she looked from the globe to him.



“Well if Johon has Kalica, and Sarila, why doesn’t he use the globes and just invade here or in Tokia.” Nick asked.



“Oh, well they can be shut down, and Marsa and Rossi shut down the globes to Kalica a year ago, and the globes to Sarila were shut down before you even left to find Rayne on the ship.”



“Well that’s good then.” Nick said with a nod.



“Did you want to go?” Nalia asked.



“Go?” Nick replied a little confused.



“Yes. To Tokia.” Nalia said with a nod to the globe, “It is still early, I am sure Rossi would love to see you.”



“Ah.” Nick said thinking. He wanted to go, he wanted to see more of this place, and it’s why he was out walking around while the others were moping about Aj. “Sure.”



“Alright, then let me tell Bussa and then we can leave.” Nalia said with a nod.



“Ok.” Nick said as he walked out of the room with her.



“I will be right back.” Nalia said with a nod. Nick nodded back at her and watched as she walked down the hallway. Nick started looking around again, something to do to pass the time.



“Hey, what are you up too?” He heard Aj say; he turned around and saw his friend walking down the hall with Marsa and Avit.



“Waiting for Nalia, she’s going to take me to Tokia for a little bit.” Nick said as he walked up too them.



“She is?” Marsa said a little confused.



“Yeah, I was looking around and found that room.” Nick said pointing to the globe room. “She found me, told me what the globe did, asked if I wanted to go.”



“Globe?” Aj asked confused.



“It is a form of transportation for us, a very quick one.” Marsa explained to Aj.



“Oh.” Aj said with a nod. “Do the guys know your going?”



“Nope, they’re all in their room, moping.” Nick said with a shrug. “How are you doing?”



“Me? I’m ok.” Aj said with a shrug as he watched Marsa and Avit move away and start talking. “Head still hurts a little but I’m use to it.” He lightly smiled.



“I tell ya dude that was some pretty messed up stuff you did back there.” Nick said looking at him. “What made you go all Gandalf on that Mages ass?” Nick watched as Aj’s face fell a little. “Lord of the Rings dude, Lord of the Rings.” Nick said as Aj looked up.



“I know that dumb ass.” Aj said rolling his eyes. “I don’t really know why.” Aj said as Nick looked at him. After everything they had been through with him, Nick knew when Aj was lying or at least hiding something. Nick was about to ask him again but Marsa came over and interrupted them.



“There has been a small change in plans.” Marsa told them. “I will need to speak with Rossi about what happened today and what to do about Johon and his army, so I will be going with you Nickolas.”



“Ok.” Nick said with a nod.



“Alexander if you need anything please ask Avit.” Marsa said as he turned to Aj. Marsa then turned to Nick. “I will be in the globe room when Nalia arrives.” Nick smiled to Marsa as the Elvaan man walked to the globe room with Avit.



“Old man cramping your style?” Aj asked as he tapped Nick on the arm. Nick looked back at him and lightly laughed.



“Please, I’m Nick Carter, going to take more than an Old Elvaan man to cramp my style.” Nick said with a sarcastic smile. Aj and Nick started laughing as Nalia walked down the hall with Bussa by her side.



“Marsa is in the globe room, he’s coming with us.” Nick said to Nalia as she walked up to them.



“Oh?” Nalia replied.



“Yeah, he said he needed to talk to Rossi about what happened and what to do next.” Nick said with a shrug.



“Of course.” Nalia said with a light nod understanding. “Than shall we go?” she asked.



“Sure.” Nick said with a nod, he then took her by the arm. “Later man.” Nick said with a wave to Aj.



“Later dude.” Aj said with a light smile.







Aj watched as Nick, Nalia and Bussa walked into the globe room and the door closed behind them. He then turned and headed down to the next set of doors and entered his room. The bed had been drawn and the curtains were closed as well. He made his way over to the bed and slowly crawled on top of it. His hands slid under the pillow as his head laid on top of it. The pain in his head was slowing going away. Aj’s eyes slowly started to flutter close but a knock on his door, popped them back open.



Sluggishly he crawled out of his bed and walked over to the door, tiredly he opened it, wondering who was behind it. As the door pulled back, Aj peered around it and saw Rayne standing on the other side. She had changed into a dress; it was dark blue, with sliver thread, and silver ribbon lacing through it. The top part of the dress was a bustier, the bottom of the dress ballooned out like an elegant gown.



“Hi.” Aj said as he realized he was staring.



“Hello.” She said with a smile and a light nod. “How are you doing?” she asked.



“I’m ok.” Aj said as he stepped back from the door and motioned for her to come in. She lightly smiled and entered his room. “But how are you?” he asked as he closed the door.



“Me?” Rayne said a little confused. “I am fine.” She paused. “Thanks too you.”



“Well your welcome.” Aj said as walked over to her. “I’ve seemed to have freaked a lot of people out.”



“Freaked?” Rayne said not understanding the meaning of the word.



“Oh, like, um, scared, acting weird.” Aj said as he tried to explain to her.



“Oh, I see because of the spell you conjured?” She said.



“Yeah.” Aj said with a nod. “And to be truthful it’s freaking me out too.” He said as he sat down on the couch in his room.



“I imagine it would.” Rayne said as she joined him. “You don’t believe you are from here, you’ve never opened yourself up to magic before, especially that kind of magic.” She said as he looked at the fireplace across from them. “You do know what kind of magic you conjured..”



“Yeah..” Aj said looking back at her. “One of the Ancient spells.”



“Where did you learn it?” She asked. He looked at her for a moment and then stood up.



Aj walked over to his desk and took two books that were sitting on top. He then walked back over to the couch and sat down as he handed them too her. She looked at him and took the books.



“That one is your mom’s, she had written a bunch of books that covered more on the mage job and stuff.” Aj said with a light shrug. “So I went to the Council and asked them if they had them.”



“I see.” Rayne said as she put down her mothers book and looked at the other one. “The Ancients.” She read the heading of the book.



“It didn’t tell me how to cast them, or anything like that, just what they did, the destruction they could cause, and the energy it would take.” Aj said.



“It seems to have baffled many of the people here, even the ones in the Council.” Rayne said as she set the books down. “How did you do it?” Aj looked at her for a moment. He’s pretty sure what it was that set him off, but should he tell her.



“I’m not really sure.” Aj said as he looked down to his fingers. “Everything just happened so fast.”



“That is understandable.” Rayne said with a nod. Aj looked at her and lightly smiled. “Maybe there’s something in the book you missed.” She said too him as she reached for the book on the Ancient Magic.



“Missed?” Aj asked a little confused.



“Yes, maybe it says something in here about how to conjure them you just did not recognize it, but now that you have been through it, maybe you will see it.”



“I don’t think it’s in there.” Aj said as she looked up from the book.

“You seem certain.” She said as she set the book down on her lap. He picked at his fingers as he felt her eyes on him. “Alex?”



“I just..” He stopped, wondering if he should say anything at all but that feeling was coming back, pushing him to say it, pushing him to tell her. “I just got so mad and scared.”



“Because of Johon and his men.” Rayne asked.



“No.” Aj said quietly.



“Then there is something else?” Rayne asked as Aj looked up at her. He stared at her for a moment, the words on the edge of his lips.



“Because of what happened to you.” Aj said as he looked back down to his nails.



“Me?” Rayne said stunned.



“I didn’t know what had happened, she was holding you up in the air, and you were screaming in pain, and I just freaked out.” Aj said as stood up. “I know it’s stupid, I don’t even know why.”



“It is not stupid.” He heard Rayne say and he turned around and looked at her. He watched as she set the book down on the couch and stood up. “It is not stupid to feel the way you do.”



“I don’t know how I feel, well I do but there’s so much going on and I can’t figure out what’s real and what’s not.” Aj said with a sigh of frustration. “How much of what I feel is because of me, or how much is because of who I am supposed to be.”



“But Alex you are both.” Rayne said to him. “You were born here as an Elvaan but everything you know is what you experienced on Earth; those two things make you who you are today. You just need to give yourself some more time, to get to know the Elvaan part.”



Aj was about to reply when there was a knock at his door; he looked at her and then made his way over to the door. When he opened it, he saw a maid standing in the hall with a cart of food.



“Dinner sir.” The maid said with a light bow.



“Oh thanks.” Aj said as he stepped away and let her enter.



“I will go and let you eat.” Rayne said as he turned to her.



“You don’t have too.” Aj said as he lightly grabbed her arm to stop her. “I always hated eating alone anyways.” He said to her with a light smile. She lightly smiled back with a nod.











Nick waved the cloud of smoke floating around his face, shockingly it didn’t make him cough, or choke him at all. When most of the clouds were gone he looked around and saw that they were standing in a room similar to the room that was in Winnol, except, when Nick looked up he realized this room was much, much smaller. He looked over to Marsa and the Old Elvaan man was hunched over. Nick realized if Marsa stood up he’d whack his head off the ceiling.



“What’s with this place?” Nick whispered to Nalia as they headed out of the room.



“What do you mean?” Nalia asked a little confused.



“Everything’s so small.” Nick said as they walked out to the hallway, ducking his head, as to not hit it off the beam.



“Well this is Tokia, home of the Dwarves.” Nalia said with a light smile. “You do not think such short people would have big buildings?”



“Oh.” Nick said understanding. “Yeah, guess your right.”



“Do not worry; there is a district for us.” Nalia said with a light laugh and smile. “Buildings the Dwarves built to accommodate us and the Elvaans.”



“AYE!!” They heard someone shout. “There they be.” Nick recognized the short, red headed, bearded dwarf as Rossi the King of this land.



“Hello Rossi.” Marsa said with a light smile.



“Come my friend, let’s get you up right.” Rossi said with a laugh to Marsa as he headed down the hall. Nick and Nalia looked at each other and lightly laughed as they followed the two outside.



Nick watched as two dwarf guards pulled on two giant wooden doors, carved designs of waves, ships and men, etched into them. To Nick the doors looked like something he would see in a Viking Castle. When the doors opened a rush of cold air blasted at them.



“Oh crap!” Nick shouted out as he wrapped his arms around him.



“What’s be the matter Nickolas?” Rossi asked as everyone looked at him shocked and confused.



“N-n-not use to t-this c-cold.” Nick said as he frowned looking outside.



“Aye, they told me tis warm where you come from.” Rossi said. The tone in his voice was a little loathsome. As they all headed out Nick tightly wrapped his arms around him. The wind was blowing and by the looks of the place he was glad it wasn’t snowing at this time.



The four of them walked down the road that lead out from the castle, and Nick got a full view of the city. The castle sat atop a large mountain, and as he looked back, he realized the castle actually sat in the mountain. Below them the City of Augem, it reminded Nick a lot of Sweden, accept on a smaller scale. The buildings were smaller, the lights were smaller, even the streets were smaller. Except for the houses in the back, they stood tall over the city.



“What’s with those?” Nick asked Nalia as he nodded to the buildings in the back.



“That’s the Guest district, those are the buildings built for us.” Nalia said. “The rooms are our size, the beds are our size, and everything is fitted for us to be more comfortable.”



“Cool.” Nick said with a nod.



“So how things be in Winnol my friend?” Rossi asked.



“Not good I am afraid.” Marsa said sadly. “Johon has moved his men to the island, we sent out an observation team, and well what they found is most disturbing.”



“And what be that?” Rossi asked as he stopped walking.



“Johon is on his way to the island, and is getting ready to set War with Winnol.” Marsa said sadly.



“Blasted.” Rossi said in anger. “If Adop were alive right now…” Rossi stopped when Marsa put his hand on his shoulder. “Bloody humans.”



“Now, now” Marsa said “They did what they did for their children, it is in the past and has been done.”



“I will send men back with you, and I will have my army ship out tomorrow morning.” Rossi said. “Johon wants a war; bloody hell the Dwarves will give him one.” Rossi said with excitement and anger as he raised his axe.



“I know you will my friend.” Marsa said with a light smile. “And the Elvaans will be right beside you.”



“And the humans will be as well.” Nick heard Nalia say.



“Aye M’lady Nalia I never ment..” Rossi was interrupted.



“I know Rossi.” Nalia said but Nick saw no expression on her face.



“Come my friend, poor Nickolas looks like a Feggor Stick.” Marsa said and Rossi started laughing along with Nalia.



“A what?” Nick asked as everyone started walking. “Hey..” Nick said as no one answered. “Hey..” He said again as he ran to catch up to the group still laughing. “Whats a Freggor Stick?” Nick asked Nalia. She looked up at him still laughing a little.



“I’m not sure how to explain it to you.” Nalia said as she calmed herself. “A Freggor stick is a dessert from Freggor, another city here in Tokia.”



“Oh.” Nick said thinking.



“It is a very sweet dessert on a stick, very delicious.”



“Like a popsicle.” Nick said understanding. “Oh like a popsicle, I get it now.” Nick laughed when Nalia started laughing again. “And yes..” Nick said as everyone looked at him. “I’m turning into a Freggo stick, so can we go somewhere warm?” Nick asked.



“Bloody hell.” He heard Rossi sigh under his breath. “Follow me.” Rossi said with a wave.



“What did I say?” Nick asked as little confused.



“The Dwarfs love the cold.” Nalia said as they started walking. “They take pride in it; it is a little hard for them to swallow your dislike for it.”



“Oh.” Nick said understanding. “Well I just need to get use to it, I guess.”



“Do not worry, Rossi will get over it.” Nalia said with a smile. “Dwarves are happy people by nature; they do not really hold grudges.”



“Unless you’re Johon.” Nick said.



“Yes.” Nalia nodded. “Unless you’re Johon.”



Rossi lead them to the Guest District and guided them to a tall building made from wooden logs, stones of many sizes, and the roofs were covered in snow, as icicles hung down from the edges. The buildings looked normal, the lights looked normal. They all walked up the large staircase and headed into the building.



“Aww.” Nick said in sigh as he felt his body warming up. He saw Rossi shake his head and decided to ignore it.



“Nickolas will be staying here; I am having a place built for him in the castle, where he can stay when he visits.” Rossi said.



“You are?” Nick asked a little shocked.



“You are my son, and you do have the right to stay in the castle.” Rossi said as he headed down the hallway.



Nick stood there a moment. “His son.” Repeating in his head. It wasn’t the first time he had said it, it wasn’t the first time Nick had heard it, but it was the first time, it was sinking in. This was his home, this is where he was born. Rossi was his father and Mela was his mother.



“Nick?” He heard Nalia say and it broke him from his thoughts.



“Huh?” Nick said a little confused.



“Everything all right?” she asked.



“Yeah, just thinking.” He said with a shrug.



“Care to share?” She asked.



“It’s just what Rossi said, I mean I know I’ve heard it before but him saying it just now was a little..” Nick stopped to think of a word.



“You mean when he said he was your Father?” Nalia asked.



“Yeah.” Nick nodded. “My Parents weren’t perfect, far from it, and sometimes I did wish I had different ones.”



“What child does not?” Nalia asked with a light smile.



“True.” Nick said with a small smile back. “But I didn’t wish I had different ones because they grounded me, or wouldn’t let me stay out late. I wanted new ones because they used me, it seemed like, my mom more than my dad, but he still let it happen.”



“Used you?” Nalia said a little shocked.



“Yeah.” Nick said quietly. He realized she didn’t know, most or all of his fans did, even people who weren’t fans knew how his parents were if they watched the news at all. “See where I come from, you can make a lot of money entertaining people, and if you’re a kid doing that, your parents control what you do, what you make, and well, sometimes..” Nick stopped.



“I understand.” Nalia said with a light nod.



“You do?” Nick asked.



“A long time ago, parents here married their children to benefit the family, even if you were a Princess or a Prince, if it was beneficial for the family, then that is what happened. It is not like that now, but we are reminded about it, is it like that?”



“Yeah it’s something like that.” Nick said with a nod.



“So now that you are here, it is like a second chance?”



“Yeah. But how long will it last, how long will I be here.”



“I do not know.” Nalia said as Nick sighed. “But it is certain you are needed until we beat Johon.”



“Yeah.” Nick said. Just then Rossi shouted for them to join him down the hall and they headed towards him.



“This will be your room until the time the one in the castle is complete.” Rossi said as he opened the large solid wooden doors. Nick walked into the room, walls made of stone, the wooden floor creeked a little under his feet. The large bed at the front of the room ended where a large bear skin type rug laid at the foot of it. A large fire place that was already lit and crackling sat in the wall to the left of him. A round table stood to the left of him four chairs circling around it.



“Well at least I don’t have to worry about it burning down.” Nick said as he walked over to the fire place.



“Pardon?” the other three said confused.



“The fireplaces in the Tree Castle, wood, fire, bad combo, Aj won’t even light his.” Nick said with a light smile.



“You can shoot shadow bolts from your fingers, but yet you still think a fireplace in a tree castle would burn down?” Nalia asked him with a sarcastic smile.



“This place confuses me, I dunno.” Nick said shrugging as Nalia started laughing. “Are you laughing at me?”



“Yes.” Nalia said with a nod still laughing.



“Well at least you’re honest.” Nick said with a smirk and a light laugh.



A commotion down the hall stopped their laughter and Rossi, Marsa, Nalia and Nick looked around at each other wondering what could be going on. Slowly they made their way over to the door, but before they got there a guard arrived and ran into the room.



“Your Majesty, the globe to Winnol has been closed.” The man said breathless.



“What?!” Rossi said shocked.



“Aye, the guard said he saw the light go out, he opened the door and it was off, they shut it off from Winnol.” He said catching his breath.



“Why would they shut it down?” Nick asked.



“Johon.” Marsa said with great worry.



“The guys.” Nick said looking at them.



“Mother.” Nalia whispered. “We have to go back.” Nalia said quickly.



“It would take a day for Arylian to reach Winnol, and we can not ship an army by Gryphon.”



“No and you do not have that many here as it is.” Marsa said as he tried to think.



“Why don’t they have many Gryphon’s’ here?” Nick whispered to Nalia as Marsa and Rossi talked.



“The cold, they do not like the cold weather.” Nalia said. Nick nodded understanding and it made Nalia smile.



“Nickolas.” Marsa said and he looked up to the Elvaan. “You, Nalia and I will head back by Gryphon. Rossi will gather is army and set out, it is the only thing we can do.” Marsa said. Nick nodded in agreement and they headed to the doors.



“How long will it take to fly there?” Nick said to Nalia as they left the room.



“It will take about four hours.” Nalia said as they walked down the hall.



“I hope everyone’s ok, and we get there in time.” Nick said with worry.











Aj ran down the stair case behind Avit, behind Aj was a herd of soldiers. He had just finished his dinner while talking to Rayne when they heard a commotion outside of his window. Curious he walked over and opened it, only to see the city below under attack by Johon’s Army. Both of them immediately rushed to Avit, which is where they were separated. Rayne went to find Queen Evia. Aj and Avit went to gather up the soldiers in the Castle.



“Get the citizen’s into the castle now!” Avit shouted to the two guards at the doors as they ran into the large entrance way. The two guards pulled on the doors and as the Army ran out, the people of Winnol began running in. “Alex, we have gathering rooms down that hall, get all of them into their.” Avit told him.



“Alright.” Aj said with a nod. He was becoming a little scared. Was this it, the war everyone was talking about? Aj looked around as the people began flowing in. “Everyone follow me!” Aj shouted as he waved his arm down the hall. The people began to follow him and he searched for the right one.



Pushing on a giant wooden door it creaked as it opened and he walked into a large room with seating all around. Couches, chairs, benches, and lounge benches. He walked the people into the room and saw that the wall on the right opened up.



“What does that wall open up for?” Aj asked one of the guards.



“For room sir, we can open it if you like?” The man replied.



“Please.” Aj said with a nod as he looked to the door way and still saw people coming in. Slowly he made his way through the crowd, back towards the door.



“Prince Alexander what is going on?’ One woman asked as he walked past.



“Uh.” Aj said looking at her. “We’re not sure, that’s why everyone is coming here, make sure everyone is safe.” Aj said hoping that would calm her. The Elvaan woman smiled as she continued into the room. Aj got out into the hallway and looked down towards the entrance of the castle. As he neared the end of the hallway he saw Avit talking too Queen Evia.



“The people are going into the room and I had the guards open the other room.” Aj said as he approached the two. He stopped when they saw the worried look on their faces. “What’s going on, its Johon isn’t it?” Aj said with a small frown.



“Yes.” Avit said with a nod. “But that is not the only thing.” Aj looked at him confused. Then he realized Rayne wasn’t there.



“Where is she?” he asked as he looked to Evia.



“The people were talking when they were coming in; they said they saw a Mage, in black and silver at the magic grounds heading towards the middle of town.” Evia said to him.



“I tried to go after her but she took off and had that blasted wolf of hers cut me off.” Avit sighed.



“I’ll go find her.” Aj said as he turned around.



“Not alone.” Avit said grabbing his arm.



“Then come, or send guards with me, but I’m going now.” Aj said and then he turned around and headed towards the door.



“Lamsec.” Avit said quickly. One of Avit’s commanders came up to him.



“Yes sir.” He said with a quick salute.



“Your platoon is on Castle guard. The Falcon Platoon and the Drake Platoon are pushing back Johon’s men, make sure the citizen’s get everything they need and no one comes into this castle.”



“Yes Sir!” The man shouted with a salute. Avit then turned to Queen Evia.



“Please M’lady you should go with the people.” He said as she looked at him.







Aj ran down towards the middle of town, where the fountain was. There were people fighting everywhere, Johon’s men, Winnol’s men. A couple of houses were on fire and he stopped to help the guards put them out. Glad Avit or his men didn’t follow, he searched for her on his own. He ran down an ally way that cut behind a bunch of homes and lead straight too the center of town. As he got closer he could hear fighting and shouting. He stopped as he reached the end of the ally and slowly poked his head out, trying not to be seen. Looking around he saw men, nothing but men fighting. Making sure the Winnol soldiers were holding up ok first, Aj turned around and started towards the Magic Fields but stopped dead when something moved in front of him. His body froze and he stared for a moment.



“Paq.” He sighed in relief when he realized it wasn’t one of Johon’s men. “Let’s go.” Aj said to the wolf, knowing she would take him right to Rayne. To his surprise she didn’t take him to the Magic Fields but she led him to a large open area. There were tall trees, flowers and the grass was a very lush green. He looked across the field and saw a large stage area and two people standing in the structure. Slowly he walked up hiding behind tree’s making sure not to be seen. He knelt down as he approached the stage and began to hear the two.



“I will die before I let you take me back to him.” Rayne said as she took a couple of steps back.



“That can be arranged.” The mage said with a little laugh.



“I do not think Johon would approve.” Rayne said back to her.



“Who cares what Johon thinks?” The Mage quickly replied, and Aj shot an eyebrow up as he heard the Mage speak. “No my dear, I do not care what that sad little man has to say. I hide in the shadows, where do you think his army came from?” she asked.



“My Father, he..” Rayne was interrupted.



“Your Father was a weak, pathetic man who could not even part with his child to save his kingdom, his people, his world.” The Mage said as she stood in front of Rayne.



“How dare you, you do not know him, my Father was a great man.” Rayne shouted.



“No he was not, and your mother knew this!” The Mage shouted at Rayne.



“You do not know how my Mother felt.” Rayne said in a calm rage, her teeth gritted together.



“I do my dear.” The Mage said. “I know this because.” The Mage stopped talking and lifted her hands up to her hood and slowly pulled it back. “I use to be her.”



“No.” Rayne whispered quietly.



“Yes.” The Mage replied with an evil smile. “You know how the story goes do you not?” she asked looking at her daughter. “The evil will come back, the evil will find someone to play its chaotic game, and the Guardians will come and vanquish the evil.” Halian said as Aj watched, ready to attack, still going unnoticed by the women. “But there’s a twist, I got bored with the first one and when I came across your mother in Pomic, well I could not ignore the energy coming from her, even though she was seconds from death anyways, so really you should thank me, because I saved her.” Aj could feel the anger rise up in him, but before he could do anything a scream made him look to his right at Rayne as she ran at the woman.



The Mage grabbed Rayne by her cloak and threw her into the stage fence at the side. It broke into pieces as she crashed into it. Aj jumped up onto the stage and sent a bolt of Ice flying at the Mage. It sent her to the ground but she quickly got back up as Aj stepped in front of Rayne.



“So, her hero comes again.” The Mage said as she looked at Aj.



“Leave, or I’ll do more than toss you out to the ocean.” Aj said to her.



“You got lucky.” She replied as she stepped forward.



“Wanna test that theory?” Aj asked as little wisps of wind fluttered around his fingers. The leaves from the trees started blowing around, their robes flapped in the wind.



“I do not need to hurt her.” The Mage said as she began to back off. “You will do it for me.” She smiled as she slowly pulled her gaze away and turned into a strobe of light, disappearing completely. Aj stared at the spot where the Mage was not really sure what she meant by that. When he heard the sound of wood clanging he turned around and saw Rayne slowing getting up.



“Rayne are you ok?” He asked as she ran over to her.



“Do not touch me!” she yelled as she pulled away from him.



“Relax it’s me.” Aj said but she stepped away from him. He stood there a little stunned as he watched her walk down from the stage. “Wait Rayne.” He pleaded as he went after her. When he caught up to her, he went to take her by the arm but she spun around and let a spell out. Roots came up around Aj’s feet and tangled them up, sending him tripping to the ground. He fell with a thud and a moan as he hit the grass and solid dirt. Quickly he looked up and saw Rayne running out of the park. He looked back to his feet as the spell let go and the roots went back into the ground. Slowly he sat up and brushed himself off, with a mumble and a sigh. Standing back up he headed towards the direction Rayne went.



He began to cover as many of the roads as he could, he noticed most of the fighting was done, and decided to head back to the castle to see how things were there. He continued to look for her as he made his way back but he had no luck finding her.



Aj walked into the front doors of the castle and saw there were still lots of chaos in the castle, but things were settling down. He looked around for Avit or Queen Evia and saw Avit at the top of the staircase. Making his way over, he walked up the stairs to Avit.



“Alexander did you find her?” He asked.



“She’s not here?” Aj asked.



“No.” Avit said as his face fell.



“I saw her at the park; I think it was a park.” Aj said as he saw Evia make her way over. “She was there with the Mage, and I was going to step in but then I heard them talking, and they were talking about Johon, the war and her dad.” Aj said to them. “That evil that we’re suppose to fight, it’s not an actually person?” he asked.



“We’re not sure, the word of Pixca does not say a lot about the evil, mostly about the Guardians.” Evia told him.



“Why?” Avit asked.



“Well the Mage told Rayne that at first it was in Johon, but then it went to a more powerful person.” Aj said as they two looked at him puzzled.



“Who?” Evia asked.



“Rayne’s mother.” Aj said quietly.



“Queen Halian?” Avit gasped in shock.



“Rayne’s mom is the Mage, but the Mage is the one who is the evil we need to fight not Johon, he’s like her puppet or something.” Aj told them. “At least she is now.”



“Where is Rayne now?” Avit asked him as he took Aj by the arm and walked him down the stairs.



“I don’t know, she took off, tangled me up in that spell of hers.” Aj said as he followed beside Avit.



“I will send some guards with you, most of Johon’s men have retreated out of the Castle and City grounds, go find her.” Avit said as Aj nodded and stopped by the Castle doors. A minute later Aj was joined by four guards and they made their way out to the city grounds. They made their way through Winnol searching in shops, and homes, looking for Rayne and looking for any stranglers hiding. They searched all over the city, the Magic Fields, the School Yards, in the Schools, by the Fountain and they even went back to the Park but no sign of Rayne, not even a sign of Paq.



“Any luck?” Avit asked as Aj and the men returned to the Castle.



“No.” Aj said as he shook his head. Avit frowned as he told his men to take a break, and he will send another group out to search for her.



Aj walked up the stairs and headed down the hall to his room. The events in the park flashing in his head, the words of the Mage echoing in his mind and he wondered what Rayne was thinking right now, how she was feeling right now. Opening the door to his room he walked in and flopped down onto his couch. He closed his eyes with a sigh and tried to relax but a knock at the door made him jump up.



“Hey.” Aj said as he looked away from Kevin as he stood in the door way.



“Pretty crazy huh.” Kevin said as he walked in.



“Yeah, you guys ok?” he asked as Kevin sat down beside him.



“Yeah we’re good.” Kevin said with a nod. “Are you ok?” Kevin asked looking at him.



“I don’t want to fight with you right now Kevin.” Aj said as he stood up and walked away from the couch.



“Who’s fighting?” He asked. “I’m not fighting, I just asked a question.”



“No, ok.” Aj shot at him. “I’m not ok, Rayne is god knows where right now, and after what happened in the Park I’m really worried about her, and I don’t want to here from you about how I’m getting involved to much and all that bullshit.”



“Dude, I never said anything.” Kevin said looking at him. “What happened at the Park, how come you can’t find Rayne?” Aj looked at him, and when he didn’t see the fight in Kevin’s eyes that he usually saw, he sighed, and started telling him what happened at the Park.



“Wow.” Kevin said in shock. “Ok, well do you need help looking for her, I’ll get Howie and Brian and we’ll go look with you.” Kevin said as Aj walked over to the window.



“I don’t know, I already went out with a bunch of guards and we looked everywhere.” Aj said with worry as he pushed on his windows and the opened. He looked out over the city wondering where she was. He remembered when he was in her room, and everyone had gone swimming, the view from her room was amazing. “Wait..” Aj said as he remembered the view from her room. “Of course.” He said as he turned around and ran out of his room.



“Huh, dude.” Kevin said getting up and chasing him.



Aj ran down the hallway and flew down the stairs. Avit watched in confusion as Aj flew passed him and headed down the back hallway. He headed right towards the doors they lead out to the Tree Falls. When he reached the open area he looked around.



“Sir what is going on?” Avit asked as he caught up to him.



“Is there an entrance to this place from the city?” Aj asked.



“Yes, over there, in the back.” Avit said pointing to the cave opening.



“I don’t see her.” Kevin said as Aj looked at him, for the first time realizing he had followed him.



“I dunno it was just a thought.” Aj said as he looked up to the falls, and then back, seeing the windows climbing the tree’s.



“Let’s go get the guys, we’ll go look again.” Kevin said as Aj looked at him.



“Yeah.” Aj sighed. He was sure he was going to find her there. Then he had another idea and he stopped walking. “Um, actually I’m just gonna chill here for a few, it’s kind of nice.”



“Are you sure?” Avit asked.



“Yeah, she still might come here, so I’ll just hang out for a few.” Aj said with a nod.



“Alright.” Avit nodded and headed towards the doors.



“Dude?” Kevin said looking at him.



“I’m fine really.” Aj said. “We’ve been everywhere, she can take care of herself, and she doesn’t want to be found right now.”



“Ok.” Kevin said as he looked at him for a moment. Then he left too and Aj turned around. Looking across the swimming pond to the rushing falling water, he walked over to the water, and slowly walked in, it surprised him; the water was warm. As the water began to get deeper he started swimming towards the falls. When he came within a couple of feet of the falls, the sound of the water was loud, almost thunderous. With a deep breath he dove down and swam under the falls, pushing himself hard against the currant as he swam directly under them. When he felt the pressure release, he slowly swam up and came up above the water inside a cave. He scanned the cave.



“Bingo.” He thought in relief as he saw her sitting on some rocks at the back of the cave. Her hair was wet and now much longer and straighter, almost touching the rock she sat on. Slowly and quietly, not trying to startle her, he swam over to the back of the cave.



“Rayne?” He said as he swam up to the rocks. She was sitting with her legs against her chest, her head resting against her knees.



“What do you want?” She asked not moving her head.



“Making sure you’re ok.” Aj said as he pulled himself up onto the rock.



“I am and I wish to be alone.” She said sternly.



“Really?” Aj said as he looked at her. “Cause I know if I found out what you did, the last thing I would want to do is be alone.”



“Well you are not me.” She replied as she looked up at him.



“True.” Aj said with a nod. “And you’re not me.”



“What do you mean by that?” She asked.



“You have no idea how stubborn I can be.” He said and he flashed a smile at her. She looked away from him and they sat there in the echoes of the falls outside, and the splashing over the water from the entrance to the cave.



“How long were you there?” She asked as she broke the silence.



“At the Park?” Aj asked. “Long enough.” He said as he looked at her. She was looking down at the water, her stringy wet hair in her face. “Was it really her?” Rayne said nothing but just nodded quickly. Aj frowned and his heart sank. “Why don’t you come back to the Castle, I promise you won’t have to answer questions, you can go right to your room.”



“Oh, the castle, the city is it still?”



“Under attack? No.” Aj said as he shook his head. “They seemed to have left when she did.”



“Good.” Rayne said with a light nod.



“We got the citizen’s into the Castle; they’re in the lounge rooms.” Aj said. “I should be getting back anyways, I’m sure they need help cleaning up.” Aj slid back into the water and pushed himself off the rock a little; he stopped and started to tread water. “I don’t think you should be alone right now or at least alone in this cave.” She looked up at him. “Let me take you back to the Castle, ok?” She looked away for a moment, and then she stretched out her legs, and turned around, dipping her legs into the water, she slowly slipped in. He waited for her to swim up to him and then they swam beside each other back towards the falls.



When they hit the shore Aj headed towards the door that lead to the back hallway of the Castle. As he came to the door he turned back to Rayne but she wasn’t behind him, he looked back to the shore line and saw her standing there. He waited for a moment and then walked back towards her. Stopping when he approached her side, he waited and said nothing.



“I feel lost.” She said quietly as she looked out to the lake.



“Been there.” Aj said with a nod.



“Here?” She asked.



“Here, and on Earth.” He replied.



“What did you do?” She asked as she looked at him.



“Did a lot of stupid things, hurt a lot of people, hurt my family, the guys, even myself almost died a couple of times. I don’t suggest going that route.” Aj said with a crooked smile as he looked at her.



“Really.” Rayne said a little stunned.



“Yep.” Aj said taking a deep breath. “I don’t think it’s her Rayne, I think it’s that evil that everyone keeps talking about, I think that’s what she meant when she said she found your mom.” He watched as her face fell.



“I know it is not, it is just her body.” Rayne said quietly. “It seems since I found out I was a Guardian, I have lost my Father, my home, and now I find out because of it I have lost my mother.” She said as a tear fell down her cheek.



“I promise you, we’ll get one of them back.” Aj said as she turned and looked at him. As she wiped her eyes, she lightly smiled.









The Mage walked into Johon’s tent and saw him sitting on a chair. When she walked in he stood up and immediately waved his soldiers to leave. She watched them walk out of the tent and then turned back to him.



“Tell me Halian, why you thought it necessary, to take half of my men, run off to Winnol, loose most of them and come back with nothing!!” He shouted in anger at her.



“I went after Rayne, but the Elvaan showed up.” She said too him.



“Well of course he did, he will protect her with his life.” He snapped at her.



“And why is that exactly?” The Mage asked.



“Because..” He said and then he stopped. “Because.” He stopped again.



“Because she is nature, a druid, and he is the elements, fire, water, earth, and wind, everything nature needs to survive.” Halian said at him as she walked towards him.



“I do not know this why?” He asked confused.



“Because I have left Johon, I left you a year ago; I only filled your mind with false thoughts, and false whispers.” She said as she approached him. “But now, I have no use for you.”



“What?” Johon said shocked. “You’re lying you witch, your tricking me!” he shouted.



“Am I?” she asked. “Then tell me how Nickolas and Nalia are connected.



“He protects her, because..”



“Wrong!” She shouted interrupting him. “She protects him.”



“What?” Johon said shocked.



“You do not think a woman could?” Halian asked. “A Warlock uses dark energy, no one Lock is immune to the darkness, and he will need a strong Warrior to fight for him, to keep him from falling into the dark forever.” She explained. “Do you not see Johon, they need each other, separate them and all falls apart.”



“But the tale says.”



“Have you forgotten that already as well Johon?” She asked. “I changed the tale, three hundred years ago I found the tale before the Guardians from that time found me, I changed it with a spell, simple really, and because they only follow the word of the tale, they soon forgot.”



“Because they do not hand the tale down any other way.” Johon said shocked.



“Correct.” Halian said with a proud smile. “A slow way of doing things, but I have always been patient.”



“How come you remember and they do not?” Johon asked.



“Oh, clever Johon.” The Mage said to him. “But I can not tell you that.” She said. “For I do not even know, I guess there is something on my side after all.” She shrugged.



“So what do we do now?” He asked.



“We?” She said looking at him. “I told you I had no more use for you.” She said and with one flick of her wrist an explosion of fire fell around Johon and he fell to the ground, screaming in pain. The guards came rushing in and stopped dead when they saw what was in front of them.



“Change of plans.” Halian said. “We leave for Sarila, they know we are here, we are wounded, we will go back and re-supply and reorganized.” She saw the shocked look on the men’s faces. “Oh yes, and I am now in charge.”



“Y-y-yes mame.” The soldier’s said as they quickly left the tent.
Chapter 7 by VeeLynn
The Guardian Crusade

Volume I



Chapter 7



“Thank Pixca you found her.” Marsa said in relief as Aj and Rayne walked out from the back hallway. Everyone was there, Marsa, Nick, Nalia, Kevin, Brian, and Howie.



“Are you alright?” Nalia asked as she ran up to Rayne.



“Yes.” Rayne said quietly. “How did you get here?”



“We rode on the Gryphon’s.” Nalia said. “Rossi is on his way with his army by ship.”



“How fares our army Avit?” Marsa asked.



“We fought well, many casualties, but it could have been much worse.” Avit said.



“Can we counter attack?” Marsa asked.



“No, I do not think that would be a good idea sir, we hit Johon’s army hard, they will need time as well.” Avit said with confidence.



“Alright then.” Marsa said with a nod.



Aj looked beside him at Rayne; her hair was drying and curling again. She just stood there staring at the floor a few feet in front of her. It was weird, they had both been lost for different reasons, but he knew how she felt and he hated that she was feeling that way, angry at everyone responsible of making her this way.



“Let’s get you upstairs.” Aj said to her and she slowly looked up at him. Nodding she took him by the arm and they headed up the stairs. He walked her down the hall to her room and stopped outside her door. “I’m going to go change too, and do some reading. If you need anything I’ll be in my room.”



“Alright.” She said quietly as she lightly nodded. Rayne turned around and opened the door to her bedroom and walked in, closing the door behind her. Aj stood there for a moment staring at the closed door. He sighed as he turned around and headed back down the hallway towards his room.



“Hey where did you go?” Kevin asked, as Nick, Howie, and Brian came up the stairs.



“I took Rayne to her room so she could change and get some rest.” Aj said.



“Where was she?” Kevin asked as they followed him to his room.



“In the cave behind the falls.” Aj said as he opened his door.



“Kevin told me what happened, that’s pretty messed up.” Nick said.



“Yeah and it’s messing her up.” Aj said as he walked over to his tall standing dresser.



“She didn’t seem all there, down in the entrance at the stairs.” Brian said.



“Would you be?” Howie said. Aj pushed the guys talking out of his head as his thoughts went back to Rayne. He opened the doors to the dresser and searched the robes. Everyday he found something new he liked and he decided to start from the left this time.



“Aj?” Kevin said as he spun around.



“Huh?” Aj said confused and lost.



“We’re going to go down to the local restaurant want to come?” Kevin asked with a raised eyebrow.



“Oh, Uh, Naw, I’m good, just gonna chill out and read, long day.” He said as he went back to his robes. He didn’t even hear everyone leave or the door close behind them. He pulled out a dark red robe, the colour fading into black along the bottom. Nodding in agreement to himself he put the robe on and walked over to the couch. He pulled out the book on the Ancient Magic and started reading but it didn’t take long for his eyes to get tired and slowly fall close.



A light tapping sound softly echoed in his ear and he sheepishly opened his eyes. Tiredly he yawned and half listened for the noise that woke him. As he became more aware he realized he was on the couch. He looked down and saw the book on his chest and realized he had fallen asleep. Looking at his window he saw that it had become really dark outside. Then again the tapping that had woken him, echoed in his room and he realized it was someone knocking on his door. Standing up he set the book down and headed over to the door. As quietly as he could he turned the knob and pulled the door open.



“Come in.” Aj whispered when he saw Rayne on the other side. “Everything ok?” he asked as he closed the door.



“I can not sleep.” Rayne said quietly. “I keep dreaming about what happened, seeing the Mage there in front of me, pulling the hood off and seeing her there.” She said as Aj walked over to her. “I hope I did not wake you.”



“Naw, I was reading.” Aj said pointing to the book and lying. Rayne lightly smiled as she crossed her arms around her self pulling her robe against her. “What time is it anyways?” he asked.



“Around one in the morning I think.” Rayne said. Aj walked her over to the couch and they sat down.



“How are you feeling?” Aj asked.



“Alone.” Rayne said as she looked at the unlit fire place across from her. “When this war is over, when this evil is gone, and I get my home back. What will I go home too?” she asked as Aj watched her bottom lip quiver and a tear drip down from her eyelid.



“But your not alone, you have Nalia and her Mother, you have Marsa.” Aj told her.



“I have known them all my life, and I love them dearly but it is..” she stopped and sighed as she wiped her eyes.



“I know.” Aj said with a frown.



“And even you.” She said quietly.



“Me?” Aj said confused.



“You have done so much for me, you have saved my life how many times now?” she said as she looked at him. “And it is hard not to feel anything, but I can not, because when this is over you will go home, back to Earth, to your mother.” She said as she looked back to the fireplace.



“Yeah.” Aj said and as she said the words he remembered what the Mage had said to him before she disappeared.



“I do not have to hurt her; you will do it for me.”



Aj started biting on his nail as he thought about what happened in the park. It hadn’t hit him at the time, what she meant by those words but now it did. Who’s to say the Mage is right anyways. Yeah he feels something for her but she’s been the only one to understand how he felt, and not push him to do something about it. He looked at her, still lightly chewing on his nail, she was still looking at the fire place, the look in her eyes distant.



“I should return to my room.” Rayne said as she slowly stood up.



“Oh, ok.” Aj said as he dropped his hand to his side and quickly stood up. He followed her over to the door and opened it for her. “I’ll see you at Breakfast.”



“Of course.” She said with a light nod and smile.



“Ok.” Aj smiled back as she walked out. As she started walking down the hall he closed the door and leaned against it as it clicked close. Taking a deep breath he exhaled and closed his eyes as he lightly tapped the back of his head against the door. Who was he kidding he had strong feelings for her, but everything got in the way, going home was the major one, Kevin was another. If it had been just Nick and him to come here, then the decision would be easier, but with Kevin around, having to tell him.”



“Bah Mclean what the hell are you thinking.” He sighed as he headed over to his bed. “You’re going home, to your mom, your family, to..” he stopped as he looked at his bed. “to an empty bed, an empty home, to a place where she isn’t.” Sighing with frustration he sat down on the edge of his bed and put his head in his hands.



A knock at the door made him look up and he stared at the door for a moment, wondering if it was her. When there was another tap at the door, he made his way over. Grabbing the knob he turned it and pulled the door open, shocked to see Kevin on the other side.



“Hey?” Aj said looking at him not sure why he was there.



“You’re up.” Kevin said a little shocked.



“Yeah, I was reading and then Rayne came by.” Aj said as he let him in.



“Is she ok?” Kevin asked as he walked in.



“Yeah, she just couldn’t sleep, I guess.” He said as he closed the door. “So what do you want?”



“Couldn’t sleep either, so I went for a walk, saw your lamp was on decided to see what was up.” Kevin said as he sat down on the couch.



“Well like I said I was reading, and then Rayne came by.” Aj said with a shrug.



“I don’t think I’ve seen you read this much, ever. I don’t think I’ve seen you read.” Kevin said looking at him. Aj rolled his eyes and looked down at the books.

“Just making sure I don’t get killed while I’m here.” Aj said quietly.



“Smell that?” Kevin said looking around.



“Huh?” Aj said confused as he started sniffing the air.



“I smell shit, bullshit.” Kevin said as he turned and looked at Aj.



“Dude.” Aj said staring at him, not wanting to fight with him.



“I’m not here to fight, I’m here to talk, cause this is obviously bothering you.” Kevin said raising his hands in defense.



“How come you’re not harping on Nick’s ass over this?” Aj asked.



“I am, it’s just your either with, Rayne, Marsa or here reading.” Kevin replied. “You want to stay too don’t you?”



“What?!” Aj said with shock. “No.” Aj said as he shook his head. “Nick wants to stay?” Aj replied quickly when he realized that Kevin said “too”.



“He hasn’t said it in so many words.” Kevin said. “But I’m more worried about you.”



“Me why?” Aj asked.



“Because I was there dude, remember, my shoulder still hurts from time to time.” Kevin said looking at him, and Aj knew what he was talking about. “Nick thinks that maybe you went through all of that because what they are saying here is true, and it’s why you had such a hard time accepting who you were on Earth, trying to figure out who you were.”



“When did Nick become a shrink?” Aj asked with a soft laugh.



“Dunno.” Kevin said with a shrug. “But I think he might right.”



“Huh?” Aj said looking at him in shock, and it took him a moment to pick his jaw back up.



“You say your coming home, you act like your coming home, but the more and more we’re here, the farther and farther you get from us.” Kevin told him. “Your out flying on Gryphon’s, falling into oceans, saving Princesses and using Magic, Magic that not even these people use anymore.” Aj looked at him and then looked down to his robe. “I don’t want to even think what it would be like not having you two around, but I’d rather deal with that, then drag your ass back to Earth, when it’s not where you are suppose to be.”



“So now you’re telling me stay.” Aj said getting angry.



“No, I’m just telling you to do what you feel is right, if that means your going to stay here and be the Prince of Elvaan’s then fine, if you go home back to Earth, then great, but do what you want, not what others want.” Kevin told him.



“Ugh,” Aj grunted as he stood up. “I’m so fucking confused.”



“I bet.” Kevin said with a nod.



“And you with this do what you want shit, are not helping.” Aj said as he looked down at him.



“Well come on dude..” Kevin said looking back at him. “You are a lot like these Elvaan’s, your caring, understanding, patient, I mean the way I’ve seen Marsa attend to the his people, it’s like watching you with the fans.” Kevin told him.



“Nick did say the Elvaan’s like to Entertain.” Aj said remembering. Aj walked around the couch and headed over to his window. He sat on the bench under the large glass, and looked at Kevin sitting on the couch.



“I think they need you dude.” Kevin told him. “Maybe that’s why it pissed me off so much before, because I could tell they did, and I knew what it meant.” Kevin then stood up and fixed his pants. “It’s up to you dude, but just know as long as your happy, where ever you end up is good with me.”



Aj lightly smiled as Kevin smiled back and then headed to the bedroom door. Kevin let himself out after saying goodnight as Aj sat on the bench under the window. Still completely blown away by the conversation he had with Kevin.



“Man.” Aj said as he started laughing. “Are you freaking kidding me?” He said still laughing as he slid his hands through his hair. He stood up and walked over to the bed; he pulled the drapes apart and crawled onto the bed. He rolled onto his back and stared at the cloth awning above him. As his mind raced with Kevin’s words, his eyes fought his brain for sleep. Soon his thoughts had turn to dreams as his eyes won the battle.









The next morning Aj was awoken by one of the servants at his door informing him breakfast was being served in half an hour. He walked into the bathroom and started the water pump that brought water up from below for a bath. Letting the water warm a bit he slipped into the tub and laid back relaxing. When he was finished he walked out of the room, with a cloth towel around his waist and made his way over to his dresser. Finding a robe he liked he slipped it on and then headed down for breakfast.



“Morning.” He said when he closed his door and saw his friend leaving theirs.



“Morning man.” Kevin said with a smile as the others said good morning to him too.



“Where’s Carter?” Aj asked looking around.



“Dunno.” Brian said shrugging.



“Well we know, but ya know.” Howie said with a wink.



“Seriously?” Aj asked shocked.



“I just hope he didn’t get his ass beheaded.” Kevin said with a sigh.



“Why?” Brian said laughing as they stepped down the large staircase.



“Well, if Royalty is anything like it is back home, spending the night in a Princess’s room is a major no, no.” Kevin said.



“Well that’s Nicky always thinking with his..” Aj sang but was interrupted.



“Don’t even..” Kevin said looking at Aj with a stone cold look. The others knew what he was going to say and they started laughing.



They entered the dinning room and saw Marsa, Rossi, Evia and Rayne sitting at the table. They greeted the men as they sat down and everyone waited for Nick and Nalia. A few minutes later the two walked into the room laughing.



“Good Morning.” Nick said with a smile as he pulled out Nalia’s chair.



“Morning.” Everyone replied as they looked at Nick as he sat down beside her.



“Good to see you made it Rossi.” Nick said with a smile.



“Aye but we miss the battle.” The Dwarf frowned. Aj smiled at Rossi’s disappointment in not being able to fight.



“Do not worry my friend; there will be more fighting to come.” Marsa said with a smile.



“Aye and the dwarfs will be on the front line.” Rossi said with a nod. The table lightly laughed and Aj looked over to Rayne. She wasn’t laughing; she was just staring at her plate, at her food.



“Any word on Johon’s camp on the island?” Aj asked as he slowly looked away from Rayne.



“I am awaiting word, my Riders were sent out early this morning.” Marsa said as he began eating.



“Do you know what we do next?” Aj asked.



“We wait for word, If Johon and his men are still there we will plan an attack, if they have moved, we will find out where, and prepare from there.” Marsa said.



“What about Darawind?” Evia asked.



“I am not sure; I do not know why Johon made the Mage attack Winnol without getting a base in Darawind. Things are still very unclear.” Marsa replied.



The rest of the breakfast was pretty quiet, Rossi discussed things with Marsa. Nick and Nalia were enjoying their own conversation. Kevin and the guys were talking to each other, and Aj ate as he watched Rayne just sit there. Slowly he slid his foot across from him as far as he could and gave a little tap to the leg across from him. Quickly Rayne looked up at him from across the table. He raised his eyebrows and nodded to her plate. She looked down and then looked away. Again he tapped her leg, and slowly she looked at him. Again he raised his eyebrows and nodded at her plate. She looked at him for a moment, and he slowly stuck his bottom lip out, and to his surprise it made her smile a little, he thought maybe even laugh a little. He watched as she picked up her fork and started eating her breakfast, she looked up at him with a ‘are you happy’ look, and he flashed a smile at her as he went back to eating his. Soon everyone was finished, even Rayne and they all headed out of the room. They all walked into the entrance of the castle, starting to split up and go on their way for the day.



“King Marsa?” A man said from behind everyone and they all turned.



“Ah Marda what word do you bring?” Marsa asked and Aj recognized the uniform as a Rider.



“The camp is gone sir, we only found some tents and dull weapons and broken armor.” The man replied. “And..” he stopped.



“Yes?” Marsa asked.



“We think we found Johon.” The man said.



“You think?” Marsa asked confused.



“He was badly burnt; we only recognized the body from the necklace he wore.” The man said and Aj looked to the guys, they all had grossed out looks on their faces.



“Where is he?” Marsa asked.



“I had some men take him to the Preparation building.” The Rider said.



“Very good, I will be there in a moment, please report to Avit.” Marsa told him.



“Yes sir.” The man said saluting him and then leaving out the front doors.



“She killed him?” Rayne said as Marsa turned around. Marsa didn’t say anything as he looked at her.



“If they’re not at the camp where did they go?” Brian asked.



“Most likely back to Sarila.” Marsa said. “She will need to regroup her army and plan a new attack.”









Halian walked down the hall of her palace. She lightly smiled; glad to be home again, being away for a year was far too long. She opened the door her bedchambers and walked in as she looked around. Frowning at the way it was left by Johon she noted to herself to get a servant in here to redecorate. Pulling her battle robe off she tossed it to the side and opened the doors to her robe closet. She sighed when she saw Johon’s robes in it and slammed the doors closed.



“Sir may I..” A tall thin Elvaan man walked in and stopped dead when he saw the Mage standing in the room. “M’lady.” The Elvaan said. “What are you doing in his room?” he asked. She turned around and smiled at the tall dark haired Elvaan. He looked so much like his Father, and wondered if he looked like his brother.



“It is alright Dyn, he is not here.” She said to him.



“Oh?” The Elvaan said as he raised an eyebrow and closed the door.



“The plan has started.” Halian said with a sly smile.



“Wonderful.” Dyn said with a smile. “Then it is time?” Dyn said with excitement.



“Almost.” Halian said. “Because of Johon we lost half our army, we need to regroup, it will take a few days.”



“Damn humans.” He then stopped. “No offense M’lady.” He said to her.



“I am hardly human.” She said to him a little irritated. “Apparently he went to retrieve Rayne but your brother showed up.”



“He is not my brother!” The Elvaan said to her angerly. “He is an imposter, he is not Elvaan, and the fact my Father loved him..” Dyn stopped.



“Are you sure you will be able to get rid of Marsa?” She asked as she sat down on the couch.



“Very.” Dyn said still angry. “There are people in Winnol who feel the same as I and do not want an imposter, a man who would rather be human than Elvaan sit on our throne.”



“Even if it means the death of the great Marsa, your father?” She asked.



“He knew of the risk, I saw the Rider reports it is why I went with them, he was willing to send them to Pomica even though he knew Johon could attack.” Dyn said angerly. “Do not worry M’lady, I have dreamt of my father’s death for a year now, and it will come true.”



“Tell your men in Winnol to get themselves ready. When I have final word on when the army can regroup, I will inform you.” She said with a nod.



“Then I will watch my Father die.” Dyn smiled. “And take the throne of Winnol.”



“Dyn, King of the Elvaan’s.” She said with a smile and a nod.



“How is your daughter?” Dyn asked as he sat down on the couch.



“She looks well, although, when I found out Johon had gone after her, I rushed out there, and well while battling him when I found them, my hood came off and she saw me.” Halian said lying as the Elvaan frowned.



“Then she knows?” He said sadly.



“Yes.” Halian said faking her sadness. “I tired to explain to her, but that’s when your bro..I mean he showed up and threatened me and after last time..” she said looking away.



“Last time?” He said as he took her hand.



“Oh Dyn is was horrible, Johon’s men had taken her and they had shown up, I went to see her and then they started attacking, I tried to take her to safety and then he stopped me.” She lied as she made herself shake a little in fear. “He conjured a Tohil spell Dyn, he is very dangerous.”



“Tohil, are you sure?” He asked.



“Very.” She said nodding. “Next thing I know Johon and his crew are pulling me out of the water, our men were scattered everywhere, he sent us clear out to the shore of the island.”



“He will pay for this Halian.” Dyn said.



“I worry for her safety.” Halian said.



“We will get her back and protect her. This world may be safe from the evil of Johon now but this imposter will break the line of the Breezewalker Royals and I will not allow that.” He said angerly.



“And I will not have my daughter marry that imposter.” Halian said hiding her satisfaction with her plan.



“And neither will I.” He said with jealous anger.











Aj walked down the street as he headed towards the Preparation Building. Marsa had sent word he wanted to see him. The guys were going to meet him at the Magic Fields and practice. Then something slamming into him sent him back a couple of steps, almost falling back but he was able to catch himself. He looked down and was shocked to see Rayne pulling away.



“Rayne?” He said a little confused. She looked up at him, he eyes red and wet. She frowned as she moved to the side and started walking again. “Rayne?” Aj said again as he watched her walk down the street, she didn’t say anything and disappeared into the distance. He sighed as he started walking again, when he turned down the small street that led to the back of the city he saw Marsa and Avit walking towards him.



“Was Rayne here?” Aj asked as the three met up.



“Yes.” Marsa nodded. “She came with Evia and Nalia to finalize her Fathers burial for tomorrow.”



“Oh, that’s going to be tomorrow?” Aj said and Marsa just nodded in response. He knew now why she took off. “So what did you need me for?” Aj asked.



“I wanted to talk to you about what happened at Johon’s camp, the spell you cast.” Marsa said as the three began walking.



“Oh.” Aj said as he looked up at the Elvaan.



“Do you know how you were able to conjure so much power?” Marsa asked.



“Um.” Aj said as he thought about what to say. “I was upset because of what the Mage was doing too Rayne.”



“I see.” Marsa said with a nod. “Has she talked to you at all about what has happened to her?” he asked.



“A little.” Aj said with a shrug. “But I think she’s trying to stay away from me right now.”



“For what reason?” Marsa asked confused.



“I don’t think she wants to get hurt again.” Aj said as he looked away from Marsa. “And I don’t want to be the one to do it.”



“Because when this is over you’ll be going home.” Marsa said.



“Yeah.” Aj said with a light nod.



“I see.” Marsa said understanding. “I wish there was another way but the spell is very picky and can not be toyed with too often.”



“It’s alright Marsa.” Aj said with a light smile.



“She has been through so much in the last couple of days.” The Elvaan spoke sadly.



“I know, I worry about her too.” Aj said as they entered the school court yard. “I wish, I wish I could do more.”



“You could stay sir.” Avit said. Aj looked at him and then to Marsa.



“I can’t.” He said shaking his head. “I have family there, the guys are there, the group, my fans, and I just can’t walk away from that.”



“Yes, we understand Alexander.” Marsa said looking at Avit.



They fell silent as they walked out of the school court yard and into the Magic Fields. Aj looked around and saw Nick working with a man. He had a weird glow around him, it was a bluish purple colour, slowly swirling around him, and Aj turned to Marsa.



“What is he doing?” Aj asked. Marsa looked over to Nick and nodded almost in approval.



“He is learning how to summon, most likely a goblin, it is the easier of the two spells.” Marsa said as he looked back at him.



“Nice.” Aj said with a smile as he looked back to Nick. As the glow started to engulf Nick a weird scream was heard and out popped a small goblin no higher than Nick’s knees, jumping around. He had long pointed ears and many earrings hanging from them. His arms were long and skinny, his fingers slender and long. Aj smiled and made his way over to Nick and his new friend.



“What do you think, should I name him Brian?” Nick said smiling.



“I heard that, you ass!” Brian shouted as he walked up to him.



“That was very well done Prince Nickolas.” The man said with joy.



“Yes Nickolas very well done.” Marsa said.



“Thanks.” Nick said with a nod. “I wish Nalia was here to see it.” He said looking down at the little wart covered, little gremlin.



“Where is she anyways?” Kevin asked.



“She said she had to help Rayne with some stuff.” Nick said shrugging. Everyone except Marsa and Avit looked at Aj.



“Stuff with her dad.” Aj said quietly.



“Oh.” Kevin said nodding. “Shouldn’t you be with her?”



“No.” Aj said looking at him, even he couldn’t hold back the anger that question gave him. He wanted to be, but she was right, her mother was right; he can’t get close and risk hurting her. “She doesn’t want me around right now.” Aj said hoping someone would change the subject.



“Oh hey check this out.” Nick said as he walked over to where his target line was. Nick said something to the goblin and the thing started dancing around as his hands started glowing red, then with a cackle the hay target went up in flames.



“Whoa.” Howie said raising his eyebrows.



“Sweet, I know.” Nick said smiling.



“You two make a lovely couple.” Kevin said patting Nick on the back.



“Whatever Richardson, you’re so jealous right now.” Nick said looking at him.



“You’re right I am.” Kevin said back.



“You two want a time out?” Brian asked looking him.



“He started it.” Kevin said pointing to Nick.



“You insulted my Goblin.” Nick said.



“Aww.” Kevin said sarcastically as he jokingly pouted.



“Guys.” Howie said rolling his eyes.



“You know you can be just as immature as him sometimes, you know that?” Brian said to Kevin as Nick walked over to the hay with Aj. Kevin laughed at Brian who took offense to it at first, then started laughing too.



“What’s so funny?” Aj asked as he walked up to the two cousins.



“Just laughing at Carter.” Kevin said shrugging. AJ smiled at them as he turned to look at Nick who was running around getting his goblin to light things on fire.



“It’s like when he got his Game Boy.” Aj said remembering. Brian and Kevin started laughing again and it made Aj feel better seeing them laughing.



“So what’s up with you and Rayne how come she doesn’t want to see you?” Kevin asked. Aj looked at him and then he shook his head, looking away.



“Last night when she came to my room because she couldn’t sleep, she told me she felt alone, her life’s become pretty shitty since she found out she was a Guardian, losing her dad, people she trusted betraying her. When we win this war, she’ll become Queen but she’ll have no one, ya know?” He stopped as Kevin and Brian nodded.



“So what does that have to do with you?” Brian asked confused a little.



“She can’t risk getting hurt again.” Aj said looking at him



“She said that too you?” Kevin asked.



“Yep.” Aj nodded. “And I agree with her.”



“Alex.” Kevin said as he tilted his head a little.



“I know what you said, and I appreciate it, but I have to go back, I can’t stay.” Aj said shaking his head.



“Wish you would talk to Nick.” Brian said as he looked at Nick in the field.



“It’s up to him.” Aj said with a shrug.



“But the group, and his brother, his sisters..” Brian said.



Aj didn’t know what to say, he just shrugged again and lightly shook his head. He really didn’t know what to say, he kind of got why Nick was so appealed to this place. He hated the way a lot of things were back in Hollywood, how people acted, with each other, with themselves, and this place was defiantly not that.



“Alexander?” Marsa said as Aj looked up. “Would you like to try to teleport?”



“Seriously?” Aj asked as his eyebrows shot up.



“If you can conjure a Tohil spell, you can teleport.” Marsa said with a laugh.



“Sweeeet.” Aj lightly shouted.



“This I have to see.” Kevin said looking at Brian as Aj and Marsa walked pass them.



Aj walked over with Marsa to the Mage Trainer and they discussed the important things to concentrate on with the spell. The trainer told Aj to picture where he wanted to go, and use the energy of the wind to take him there.



“Dude you think you could pop up by Nick?” Kevin asked as he nodded to Nick about ten yards from them.



“I can try.” Aj said with a shrug.



“Do it.” Kevin said with an evil grin. Aj smiled as he heard Brian laugh and he looked at where Nick was standing. He picture himself popping up in front of him and then as he let the energy’s in, he felt the wind take him forward and in a flash he was standing in front of Nick. But no sooner had Aj popped up in front of him Nick jumped back, tripping over his feet and falling to the ground.



“Ahhhhh!!” Nick shouted with a squeal of fright as he fell. The sound of Kevin and Brian cracking up laughing made him look behind him as he laid on the ground. He then looked back to Aj. “What the hell man!?” Nick squealed as he jumped up.



“What?” Aj said with a shrug. “Came to see what you were doing?” He said as nonchalantly as he could.



“Next time, walk.” Nick said as he brushed himself off.



“You ok man?” Kevin asked still laughing a little as him, Brian and Howie walked up to them.



“You know he’ll do that to you too eventually.” Nick said staring at them.



“Oh I’m going to have fun with this.” Aj nodded, with an evil smile.



“Well done Alexander.” Marsa said with a smile.



“Thanks.” Aj said laughing.



“How do you feel?” Marsa asked.



“Fine.” Aj said nodding. “You were right, that was pretty easy.”



“Good.” Marsa said with a nod. “Are you ready to try some other things? He asked.



“Other things?” Aj asked as he looked at Marsa a little confused. The old Elvaan waved for him to follow, he looked at the others quickly and then shrugged as he followed him. He didn’t know what Marsa had in store, but he was willing to learn anything he could. Anything to help her get her home back.
Chapter 8 by VeeLynn
The Guardian Crusade

Volume I



Chapter 8



Aj always hated funerals, everyone was sad and crying, and he hated the way it made him feel. He looked around at all the different faces, Elvaan, Human, and Dwarves. All of them had tear soaked eyes, sad faces, and broken hearts as they said their final goodbye to a friend. He looked at Rayne as she stood beside the Priest at the head of the casket and he wondered how much she was really paying attention. Her gaze locked on the Elvaan carved casket in front of her. The expression on her face was emotionless and he looked away.



When the service was over, everyone walked out of the Burial Grounds. Aj followed behind Marsa and the guys but when he got to the path that leads into the trees, he stopped and turned around. He saw Evia and Nalia walking up to him, and when they approached him they stopped.



“She will not say anything and I can not get her to come back, perhaps you could.” Evia said with worry. Aj took a deep breath and looked over at Rayne and then looked at Evia and Nalia.



“I’ll try.” He said with a light nod.



“Thank you.” Evia said returning the nod. Queen Evia and Nalia headed into the pathway and Aj slowly walked over to Rayne. As he got closer he saw that she was still crying. He wasn’t sure what to say to her or what to do.



“Rayne?” Aj said quietly as he stopped beside her. She didn’t say anything as she continued to look at the casket. He took another step and placed his hand on her arm. “Rayne?” he said again. Quickly her head turned as she looked at the hand on her arm; slowly she followed the arm up and saw who was standing beside her. Aj was about to ask her if she was ok but as soon as her eyes connected with his, she started crying and she wrapped her arms around him, and pulled herself against him.



He was taken back at first as she stood there crying. Then slowly he wrapped his arms around her and held her as she cried. He pulled her hair to the side and rested his hand on her shoulder. His other arm was wrapped around her lower back and for the first time he realized he had her in his arms. Aj wasn’t sure how long they stood there, how long she cried against his chest but he didn’t care; all he wanted was for her pain to go away. Then slowly she started to pull away and he looked down at her.



“Are you ok now?” Aj asked. His hand that was on her shoulder slowly slid down her back, his arms still wrapped around her lower back.



“Yes.” She replied quietly. Turning her head a little she looked at her Father’s coffin and then looked back to Aj. “I wonder if he knew.” A strand of hair had fallen over her eye, and he reached for it, and gently tucked it behind her ear.



“Knew what?” Aj asked a little confused.



“That the Mage was mother.” Rayne said quietly.



“I don’t know.” Aj told her. “Do you think he would have told you, if he had known?”



“No.” Rayne said with a light shake of her head. “Especially with how she is now, who she is, he would not have.” She slid her hands from his back and sighed.



“You want to go back to the Castle now?” Aj asked.



“Yes.” She said with a light nod.



“Ok.” Aj lightly smiled as he took her hand. Together they left the Burial Ground and headed into the city. Rayne walked close to him, she didn’t look at the people as they looked at her, and at him. Each person they walked by stopped what they were doing when they saw the two together. Every once in a while Aj would look behind him, and he would see a couple of people here and there whispering to each other as they watched the two walk down the street. The guards bowed to both of them as they walked into the Castle. Aj turned to her when they reached the bottom of the stairs.



“Are you hungry at all?” he asked.



“No.” She said shaking her head.



“Ok, what did you want to do?” he asked.



“I just want to go to my room.” She said as she stepped onto the stairs. Aj frowned but followed her up the stairs. When they approached her bedroom door Aj turned to her.



“Do you need anything before I go?” He asked.



“No thank you.” She said as she put her hand on the knob. He looked at her a moment, from the time they walked into the Castle to the time they got here, she had gone stone cold on him again. “And thank you for walking me back.” She said with a nod. The tone in her voice made him feel like a servant and as her door clicked close, Aj stood there stunned.



His eyebrows frowned in confusion as he stared at the door. Shaking his head he turned around and headed down to his room. He was completely blown away by the change in attitude in Rayne. Grabbing onto the door knob to his room he angerly pushed on it and then slammed it behind him.







Rayne stopped at her dresser when she heard a loud banging noise. She sighed wondering if it was Alex as she pulled a robe from her dresser. Angry at herself for hugging him when he walked up to her at the Burial Grounds, angry at herself for treating him like she did at the door and now she was going to take off and head back to Sarila. She was going to confront her mother, find out for sure if it was really her or if it was nothing more than the Evil.



Putting on the new robe, she walked over to her other dresser and pulled it out carefully. She reached behind it and pulled out a bag. It was black cotton like material; the strap was long enough so she could put it over her head and shoulder. The strap wrapped diagonally across her as she opened it to make sure she had everything. Last night and this morning she was able to sneak away and get some supplies, some food, and some potions just in case.



Pulling her hair back she tied it up and pulled her hood over her head. She walked over to her door and quietly opened it. Listening at first to see if there were any noise in the hallway, she stood against the wall, with the door opened a crack. When she was satisfied there was no one there she slipped out of the door, closed it carefully and then headed down the hallway. As Rayne quickly walked down the hall she heard the sound of a door opening, a little frantic she looked for a place to hide, and saw a small space behind a decretive pillar. Quickly she slipped behind it, and held her breath hoping they didn’t see her. Pushing up against the wall she watched as Alex’s friends walked passed her laughing. She waited a moment and then peered around the wall, and watched as they walked down the stairs. Exhaling she fixed her bag and left her hiding spacing. She turned to head down the hall but something stopped her dead in her tracks. Quickly she looked up as her body froze and she saw Alex standing there in front of her.



“Well now this is a sight.” Alex said to her as he crossed his arms. “And where are we going?”



“I am going for a walk.” She said as she pulled herself straight and her chin up a little.



“Really.” Alex said and she watched as he tilted his head a little. “Where?”



“Some where.” She said as she tried to think of something. “I..I was thinking of walking the road around the city.”



“I see.” Alex said. “Well how about if I join you.”



“No.” She said quickly.



“No?” Aj asked as he raised an eyebrow.



“I wish to be alone Alex, please respect that.” She said her tone getting stern.



“Fine.” Aj said with a shrug. “Have a good walk.” He said too her as he walked passed her. She looked at him stunned as he headed towards the staircase, where his friends were talking just moments ago. A little shocked she stood there for a moment, and then shook it away. She headed towards the staircase at the end of the hall and opened the door. Walking up a floor Rayne opened another door and then headed down another hallway. She walked all the way to the end and then reached into her pocket and pulled out a key. It was a key that was given to her from the Elvaan’s who had prepared her father for burial. Opening the door she held the key in her hand, turning around she quickly looked to make sure no one was following her, and then she closed the door locking it. Rayne turned around but she could see nothing, the room was covered in darkness. In a second a small firefly appeared in the room, then another and then another, Rayne lightly smiled at the light spell she had conjured, one she hadn’t used since she was a kid. The room lit up in a green yellow glow, and she looked to the middle of the room, where she saw a globe sitting on the pedestal.



This wasn’t the globe to Tokia, this was the globe to Sarila and the key she held in her hand was her Fathers key to turn the globe back on. Looking down at the key she thought about her Father one more time, with a deep breath she lifted the key to the globe, inserted it, and watched as the globe lit up. When the globe was glowing bright Rayne lifted her hand to the globe but a hand on her wrist stopped her and she looked up quickly.



“Turn it off.” Alex said as he held her wrist.



“How did you?” She asked looking back to the closed lock door.



“Turn the globe off Rayne.” Alex said to her sternly. Still a little stunned on how he got into the room she reached for the key and pulled it out. The globe hummed as the light dimmed and it shut off.



“There.” She said as the anger started to over shadow her shock. “Now let go of me.” She said pulling her wrist out of his grip.



“What were you doing?” He asked as she walked away from him. “I thought you were going for a walk?” She didn’t say anything to him as she walked through the fireflies and sat down on the edge of the pedestal. A minute later she felt him sit down beside her. “Where does this globe go Rayne?” Without looking at him she answered.



“Sarila.” She said quietly.



“Sarila?” Aj said shocked. “So what you were going to just walk into the Palace and be like Hi mom I’m home.” He said with a sarcastic wave. Rayne looked at him quickly, angry at the way he mocked her.



“No.” She snapped at him.



“Well then why did you think you could just walk in there?” Aj asked. “That would be like a death trap Rayne.”



“I wanted to stop it.” Rayne said quietly, she didn’t want to look at him.



“Stop what?” Aj asked, and she looked down when she felt his hand slid over hers. Quickly she pulled it away and stood up.



“I wanted to stop what ever it is controlling my mother; I want to stop it, so she can be in peace, with Father.” Rayne said a she walked back over to the globe.



“Even if it means getting yourself killed, and then leaving Pixcadia to whatever.” Alex said as she looked up at him.



“The Evil that is in my Mother would be dead, Pixcadia will be free so what does it matter.” She said with a shrug.



“You would be dead Rayne.” Alex said stunned. “That’s what matters.”



“What do you care, the war will be over, you will be able to go home.” She said as she tucked the key into her robe pocket. “You will not even be here.”



“So that’s what this is about.” Alex said as he walked over to her. She looked up and tried to walk away but he stopped her. “I care Rayne, I care a lot, and we’re supposed to be in this together all four of us. What if you run off and something bad happens and you don’t kill what ever it is that is controlling your mom, then what?” Aj asked her and she didn’t know how to reply. When she felt him sitting her down, she looked up at him. He sat them down on the edge of the pedestal. “I know you have been through a lot these past couple of days, but too me it looks like you’re slipping away.” She looked away as he continued to talk. “You haven’t talked to anyone, you sit in your room all day, before this morning when was the last time you ate?”



She took a deep breath and sighed still not looking at him. If only she had been quicker, if she had left sooner, if the guys hadn’t of walked out of the room she would have made it. But she still wondered how he got through the door.



“Rayne?” Alex said and she looked at him. “I can’t stay.”



“Stop it!” She shouted as she pulled away and stood up. “I know alright, I know you can not stay, stop telling me that.” She really was tired of hearing it, Kevin telling everyone, Alex telling everyone and she just didn’t want to hear it anymore. “Every time someone says you are leaving, when all this is over, it just reminds me of how alone I will be when you do.” She didn’t want to cry, she was tired of crying, over him, over her father, her mother, and she tried to fight it but then as she felt his arms wrap around her, when she felt the calm of being in his arms, it was too much for her, and she started crying. His chin rested on her shoulder, his arms wrapped across her, holding her as she cried and she didn’t dare move.



“I don’t want to hurt you Rayne; I still have to go home.” Aj quietly said as she started to calm herself.



“I know.” She whispered. “I thought it would be easier to stay away, but the more I do, the more I think about when you leave and how I wasted all this time because I did not want to get hurt.”



“Time we could of spent together?” Alex asked and she closed her eyes as she nodded. Slowly he turned her around and she felt his finger slip under her chin. She looked up at him, into his dark eyes and at that moment she didn’t care anymore. She didn’t care he would leave; she didn’t care about how much it would hurt when he did. All she cared about was how all the pain, all the sadness, and all the loneliness went away when she looked into them. Then everything went blank as his lips pressed against hers. It was shocking at first but as his arms wrapped behind her, she fell into the kiss and wrapped her arms around him.



“Promise me something?” Alex said quietly as they pulled away. Rayne looked at him, still holding each other in their arms. “Don’t ever try to take off like that again, at least come get me first.” She lightly smiled and nodded.



“I promise.” She said to him.



“Good.” Alex said with a smile.



“How did you get in here anyways?” she asked. “I locked the door.”



“You did.” Alex said with a nod. “So I just teleported.”



“Oh, I see.” She said with a light smile. “And when did you learn this?” she asked.



“Yesterday.” Alex said with a light smile as he looked down at her. She smiled back as she laid her head against his chest. “Are you still up for that walk?” He asked.



“Yes.” She said as she pulled away from him. She watched as he smiled taking her by the hand and they left the room, together.











Halian sat at the desk in her room. Most of it had been changed already from the mess Johon had left her bedroom in. As she scanned over a report from Rem in Sera, there was a knock at her door, and she looked up.



“Enter.” She shouted as she waited to see who it was. The door opened and in walked one of her soldiers. “Yes, what is it?”



“I am here to report that the Globe from Winnol turned on.” He said to her.



“It did.” She said getting up quickly.



“Yes, M’lady.” He said with a nod. Halian stood up quickly and went to leave her room but the soldier spoke up. “It is not on anymore your majesty.” He said quickly.



“What?” She asked confused as she spun around.



“It was only on for a brief moment.” He explained.



“Hmm.” She said thinking. “How goes the Army?” She asked.



“We are almost ready my Majesty.” He replied.



“Excellent, please inform Dyn I wish to see him.” She told him. The soldier saluted and then headed out of the room. She walked over to her window and opened it. Looking out to her city she wondered what was with the globe coming on, and then turning off.



“What are they up too?” She said too herself as she looked in the direction of Winnol. She sat on the windowsill and remembered to when things were much different. She had never gotten the upper hand on the Guardians like this before. Sure she got to the tale all those years ago but they caught up with her, killed her before any real damage could be done. The only real good that came out of it was the guardians forgetting their Ancient magic. They still had the power to stop her but the longer they went without their Ancient magic the weaker they got, and like she said, she was very patient.



Except now, all of a sudden out of no where, this new one, one of the ones that were sent away to Earth, conjures a Tohil spell. She was not going to let this Alexander mess up her plans, plans she had worked long and hard on. When she left Johon and took over Halian’s body, she found Dyn in hysterics at his mother and sisters’ bodies. It wasn’t hard to feed him the hatred towards his Father, most of it was already there. The same with the jealousy and bitterness he had towards his brother, Alexander.



You see she found out a few months later that Dyn had strong feelings for Rayne, and Marsa knew of these feelings. But Rayne was a Guardian and even though she didn’t know it at the time, she was not to be involved with anyone, until the time of her calling. Now who’s to say she would fall for one or the other but when he heard about Alexander saving Rayne on the ship, he went ballistic and Johon had to put him in solitary for a few days. The brother he loathed was now taking the woman he loved. She smiled, perfect.



“You wanted to see me Queen Halian.” Dyn said.



“Yes Dyn. I have received word that the Army will soon be ready, so what ever plans you have for Marsa you best put them into action.” She told him as she closed her window.



“Thank you.” He said with a nod and a bow.



“How long will this take?” She asked as she walked over to her desk.



“I will send word now, Marsa will be dead a day from now.” He said as a small smile came across his face.



“Then I wish you well Dyn, when you have news please report to me, so I may ready my Army on the ships.” She told him.



“Yes M’lady.” He said with a bow. When he turned to leave she remembered about the globe.



“Oh one more thing Dyn.” She said as he stopped and turned around. “The guard at the Winnol Globe reported it came on and then shut off a minute or so later.” Halian told him.



“Really, what do you make of that?” he asked.



“I am not sure, but I thought I should inform you. If I hear anything on that I will tell you.” She said.



“Of course.” He said as he bowed again, and then left the room.











Aj sat on top of a Gryphon all by himself, the bird standing still beside another Gryphon, Rayne’s Gryphon. They watched as Nick and Kevin learned how to take off. Aj had already gone through a run and did pretty good. It wasn’t that hard he found out, the bird does most of the work; you just have to learn how to stay on. He watched as Kevin started his Gryphon running, then the bird started to flap his wings and soon he was up in the air. Aj brought his fingers to his lips and whistled as Kevin flew over head.



“Yay!” He yelled as he watched Kevin fly pass. The Gryphon swooped around and then glided down to a running stop.



“That was so awesome!” Kevin said as his bird walked up to him and Rayne.



“I know dude its killer.” Aj said smiling.



“Brian does not want to ride?” Rayne asked as she looked to Aj.



“He’s afraid of heights, hates flying, there’s no way we’re getting him on one of these.” Aj said with a light laugh. Rayne started laughing as she looked to Nick who was getting ready to take off. The bird started running and then jumped into the air. Aj looked up as the bird flew over and Nick gave a happy holler. As Nick flew back over them Aj looked down and looked to Rayne. She was smiling and laughing and it made him feel good to see her that way. Much better than how she was this morning at the funeral and after. Of course he knows he had a lot to do with it and what happen in the globe room.



“Well I think I will go and see if Brian will ride with me.” She said looking at him with a smile.



“Good luck.” Aj said with a laugh as she started to walk her Gryphon over to Brian. He smiled as he watched her.



“Hey Miracle Man, what’s up.” Nick said as he walked over with his Gryphon.



“Miracle Man?” Aj asked confused.



“Yeah, you and your mojo sure did a number on Rayne.” Nick said with sly smile. “Is that where you took off to this morning?” Nick giggled.



“Dude.” Aj said looking at him.



“Oh come on Aj don’t deny this, she’s done like a one eighty since this morning. You put a spell on her with your magic wand didn’t you?” Nick smiled as he wiggled his eyebrows.



“I swear if I could reach you I’d hit you.” Aj said with anger.



“Ok, ok, calm down.” Nick said still laughing a little. “But seriously something must have happened.” Aj looked at him, still a little pissed from his comment before.



“Nothing like that happened.” Aj said as he looked away.



“Ok.” Nick said realizing he really did hit a nerve with Aj.



“I caught her trying to sneak to Sarila.” Aj told him.



“By herself?” Nick asked.



“Yep.” Aj nodded.



“What the hell was she thinking?” Nick asked.



“She was messed up from everything over the last couple of days; she wanted to go after her mom.” Aj said with a light shrug.



“But you stopped her.” Nick said.



“Yeah.” Aj said.



“Good.” Nick replied.



“Kevin thinks your staying.” Aj said as he looked over at him.



“He does?” Nick said shocked.



“Yeah and get this..” Aj said. “He said if I wanted to stay that’s ok.”



“Say what now?” Nick said shocked. “Did the Elvaan give him some kind of herb?”



“Dunno.” Aj said laughing.



“Are you?” Nick asked.



“I asked you first.” Aj shot back quickly.



“I don’t know.” Nick said with a shrug. “This place is pretty cool, and it is a lot different than back there.”



“Tell me about it.” Aj nodded. “What about Nalia?”



“She would be part of the reason, but not all of it.” Nick told him as he looked at him.



“Sounds like you are thinking about it.” Aj said.



“That I am.” Nick said with a sigh. “I really am.”



“Wow dude.” Aj said a little shocked.



“You’re not?” Nick asked. Aj took a deep breath and looked at Nick.



“Up until this morning there was nothing stopping me from going back home when this was done.” Aj said “But I’ve spent the last couple of hours wondering if mom would be ok if I didn’t.”



“It’s weird isn’t it?” Nick said as he looked at his friends.



“What?” Aj asked.



“This place..” Nick said with a light laugh. “It’s starting to feel like home.”



“I don’t freakin’ believe it!” Kevin shouted and as Aj and Nick turned to look a Gryphon swooped over them. As it turned, they saw Brian sitting in front of Rayne as they flew in the sky.



“No way.” Nick said in awe. “How the hell did she pull that off?”



“I have no idea.” Aj said as he watched the bird fly above them. Soon the bird swooped back over them as it came to a running stop. Aj and Nick watched as one of the Riders helped Brian down and as soon as his feet touched the ground he dropped to his knees and kissed the dirt below him. The two busted out laughing along with Howie and Kevin.



“How did you do that?” Nick asked Rayne as she approached them.



“I can not say.” She said with a smile. Aj jumped down from his Gryphon as a Rider came up and walked the giant bird over to the others. “But it was a one time agreement.”



“Should I be worried?” Aj asked as he walked up to her.



“No.” She said with an embarrass smile.



“Good.” He smiled back at her. “I was thinking maybe you and I could have a private dinner tonight?”



“Really?” Rayne said. “My room or yours?” she asked.



“You pick.” Aj said as they followed the others out of the Ridding Fields.



“How about your room.” She suggested.



“Ok.” Aj said with a nod. He looked down at her and she smiled back at him, it made him smile. Then she wrapped her arm through his and they walked arm and arm back to the Castle.









Aj walked out of the bathroom, a towel around his waist after his bath. He was busy getting ready for his dinner tonight with Rayne. After the servants left when they had finished getting the table ready for him, he hopped into the tub. Opening the doors to his dresser, he made a clicking sound with his mouth as he looked for a robe to wear. One by one he pushed the robes to the side as he quickly scanned to see what they looked like. When he came to a black robe with red thread embedded into it, he pulled it out. It was simple but the red made it pop and he liked it. He pulled it around him and tied it up around his waist. As he headed over to the only mirror in his room there was a knock at the door. Changing his direction he walked over to his bedroom door and opened it.



“What’s up?” Aj asked as he saw Kevin standing in front of him.



“We’re heading down to dinner now.” Kevin said nodding back to the others in the hallway. “Nick says you’re eating here?”



“Yeah, having dinner with Rayne.” Aj said wondering what he would say to that. Because honestly, he didn’t know, he was still blown away by the last conversation he had with him.



“Cool.” Kevin nodded. “Alright then, we’ll see ya later man.” Kevin said as he waved at Aj.



“Alright.” Aj said as he waved back. He closed the door as the chatter of the guys disappeared down the hall and walked back over to the mirror. Aj looked himself over as he straightened the front of the robe. With a deep breath he turned around and then shouted in fear as he saw a woman standing in front of him.



“I did not mean to scare you.” She said as Aj grabbed onto the mirror to stop himself from falling.



“Well you did.” Aj said as he tried to catch his breath. After a moment he looked at her and saw that it was the woman that had visited him at the cemetery, the woman that was in the picture. “Did you want something?”



“I came to warn you Alexander.” She said and Aj caught the sadness and worry in her tone.



“Warn me?” Aj asked confused.



“The last string has been broken; the last thread of peace has unraveled.” She told him. “I hope you are ready for what lies ahead of you, for you and Rayne.” She stepped towards him and looked into his eyes. “Your mind has settled since we last talked.”



“Umm.” Aj said wondering what she meant.



“You know now that you are from here, you feel at home?” she asked.



“I guess, yeah.” He said nodding.



“Good, you will need that.” She said with a nod.



“I will?” Aj said still confused.



“You will be tested; the people will want to know if you are worthy enough to be their king.” She told him.



“King?” Aj said stunned. There was a knock at the door and he quickly looked back. “Why would I be..” He stopped talking when he saw no one there.



“Mclean, your trippin again.” Aj said as he rubbed his eyes and shook his head. As another knock on the door echoed through the room, Aj grabbed the knob and opened the door.



“Hello.” Rayne said with a smile. He smiled back when he saw her. She was wearing a midnight blue dress, black ribbon crisscrossed down the front of the bustier. Her hair was up with only a couple of ringlet’s hanging down around her neck.



“Hi.” Aj said a little taken back by how she looked. “Come in.” He said as he stepped away from the door. She walked in and looked around the room, as Aj closed the door.



“I thought I heard you talking to someone?” she asked.



“Huh?” He asked confused, then remembered the lady that was here. “Oh, uh don’t think so.” He said as he walked over to her. “So.” He said as he approached her and took her hand. “How are you doing?” He asked.



“I am doing better.” She told him as his hand wrapped around hers.



“You’re sure?” He asked. “No more wanting to pay a visit to mom?”



“No.” She said with a light laugh. “I am sorry for the way I was towards you.” She said



“It’s ok.” He said as he took her other hand. “Trust me I get it.” He said with a light smile, as he looked down at her hands. His thumbs gently brushed across the back of them, they were small hands, and her fingers were slim. He started thinking about what the lady, what Tas was talking about. What did she mean he would be tested by the people?



“Alex?” Rayne said and he looked up at her. “Everything alright?” she asked.



“Yeah, yeah fine.” He said with a smile. He was relieved to hear a knock at the door, knowing it was a servant with dinner. Letting go of her hands he walked over to the door and opened it.



“Dinner Sir.” The servant said as he bowed.



“Sweet, come on in.” Aj said as he stepped back. The servant walked in and set the tray down onto the table.



“M’Lady.” The servant said with a bow.



“Hello.” Rayne smiled with a light bow back. Aj walked the servant out the door and then closed it behind her. He turned around and headed over to Rayne. He reached for a chair and pulled it out for her.



“Thank you.” She said with a light smile.



“You’re welcome.” He said with a smile as he helped her slid up to the table and then walked around and seated himself. “So are you going to tell me how you got Brian up on a Gryphon?” he asked as they started to dish out the food.



“Why is it so important?” Rayne said with a laugh.



“Are you kidding? The dude is terrified of heights, he hates flying in a plane and on a plane we’re inside, no worrying about falling.” Aj said with a light laugh.



“Really?” Rayne said fascinated. “How do you fly inside of a bird?” she asked as her face fell in puzzlement. Aj looked at her for a moment, a little dumb founded, then he remembered she really didn’t have a clue, and it made him laugh. “What is so funny?” She asked.



“I’m sorry.” Aj said trying to stop. “Planes aren’t birds, we build them, from metals, we build the engines that make the planes fly and then put them together.” Aj said trying to explain it to her.



“Oh.” Rayne said still not really understanding. “I guess that made me sound rather dumb.” She said joining in on the laugh.



“Naw it’s alright you didn’t know.” Aj said as he calmed himself. “Now stop changing the subject.” She looked at him a little shocked, and then smiled.



“I told him I would turn Nick into a pig.” She said with a smile.



“Can you do that?” Aj asked as he started laughing.



“No.” She replied as Aj started laughing harder.



“That was very sneaky.” Aj said as he wagged his finger at her.



“I got him on the Gryphon did I not?” She asked laughing.



“True, wait till Kevin finds out.” Aj said still laughing.



The two sat at the table enjoying their meal as they talked. Aj told her more about what he did on Earth, traveling all around the place singing to people. He told her about how the guys met, things they had done together, good and bad. He even told her a little bit about his troubles a few years ago, how he got through it and how he’s doing now. He also hoped it would help her open up about her mom, and about her dad about what had happened to them. A few minutes later when Rayne started telling him about when she was younger, he couldn’t help but smile to himself a little.



“He use to read to me, stories about the Guardians when I was younger, I thought it was just lore, until my Coronation.” She said.



“Coronation?” Aj asked.



“When a Princess turns eighteen, there is a special ceremony.” Rayne told him.



“I get it.” Aj said nodding.



“Well after my coronation I found out from King Marsa, King Rossi, King Colim and my Father, that the tale of the Guardians was true, and we must prepare for the time when they come.” She explained.



“So they didn’t tell you then you were a Guardian.” Aj asked.



“No.” She said shaking her head. “I found out a couple of days before you arrived, Father was leaving for Winnol and asked me to come along for safety reasons, while on the ship he told me who I was.” Rayne said.



“How did you feel when you found out?” He asked.



“Shocked at first.” She said as she thought about it. “I kept thinking about the story my Father told me, now I was the druid from that story, and Pixcadia’s survival was dependent on me.”



“I guess it would be hard growing up with the story and then you actually become the story.” Aj said as a commotion started down the hall.



“Yes, but not as hard as being told you are suppose to protect a world you have never known.” Rayne said as she looked at him. Aj lightly smiled and was about to reply when someone knock on his door.



“Wonder who that is?” Aj said as he got up and headed over to the door. When he opened it he saw a guard standing at his door.



“Sir, Avit wishes to see you in his Majesty’s room.” The man said with a quick bow. “It is very important.”



“Ok.” Aj said not sure what was going on. He turned to Rayne but she was already walking up behind him.



“Is everything alright?” She asked.



“I can not say. Prince Alexander must come immediately.” He told them. Aj looked back to Rayne confused; she lightly shrugged and then motioned for him to go. He took her hand and they left the room, making sure they door closed behind them. They followed the guard down the hall and around the corner. When the turned they saw all the people standing around Marsa’s room, including the guys. Aj looked over to Kevin as they walked passed them, and he had a dismal look on his face. One of the guards standing at Marsa’s door opened it and they followed the guard into the room.



When Aj walked in his fears were proven true, Marsa laid on the bed and he looked sick, very sick. He looked on the other side of the bed and saw Avit walking around towards him. His heart started to race a little, he didn’t know what was going on.



“I am sorry to interrupt your dinner Sir.” Avit said to him with a light bow.



“What’s wrong with him, is he ok?” Aj asked concerned.



“Things do not look good.” Avit said.



“When did he become ill?” Rayne asked as Aj looked at Marsa.



“At lunch he said he did not feel well..” Avit was interrupted.



“Sir Avit.” A Priest said and the three of them turned to look. “He wishes to speak with Prince Alexander.” The servant said.



Aj looked at everyone for a moment and then looked at Marsa. He took a deep breath and walked over to his bed side. The Elvaan was breathing heavily, he was pale, paler than usual, and his eyes were closed. Aj wasn’t sure if he was sleeping, what to do or what to say.



“Your highness Alexander is here.” Avit said as he walked up behind Aj. Marsa opened his eyes and slowly turned his head.



“I do not die a natural death.” He said and it got Aj’s attention. “I know you do not believe you are my son, and that is alright, I knew it would be a price to pay for your safety.” Marsa started coughing and Avit nodded to the Priest. “No.” Marsa gasped out waving the Priest away. He looked back at Aj again, his breathing quick and short. “You are the only one left Alexander, the only Breezewalker to carry on but if you do not wish to stay, then I would like Avit to take my place. He may not have been one of us, but he did marry one.” Marsa said with a light smile.



“Sir.” Avit said shocked, but Aj was a little confused.



“If he does stay Avit, please, protect him as you did me for all these years.” Marsa said quietly.



“Of course sir.” Avit said with a somber nod as Marsa looked to Aj again.



“You are a caring, generous man, who wears his heart proudly, and I could ask nothing more out of a son.” Marsa said. “I am forever in your mother’s debt.”



“Marsa I..” Aj tried to say something but he couldn’t.



“It is alright Alexander, you do what your heart wishes, and I would expect nothing else.” He said with a light smile. Marsa looked away again as he started coughing, much worse than before. Aj and Avit backed away from the bed to let the Priest in. When he felt something touch his arm, he looked down and saw Rayne standing beside him. He looked at Marsa and then at Avit.



“What happened?” Aj asked him.



“After lunch he retired to his room for a while, said he was tired. When he came down for dinner he did not look well at all, but insisted he would eat.” Avit told him. “Half way through he passed out and we brought him up here, when the Priest told me how bad it was I sent for you.”



“What did he mean by ‘I do not die a natural death?’” Aj asked him, but he already knew, he just needed to hear it.



“It looks like some type of Poison.” Avit said sadly, “I have my men searching the grounds, the kitchen, or reports of anything suspicious from the citizens.” Avit said.



“Could the rest of us be poisoned?” Rayne asked concerned.



“I do not think so M’lady, we all would be sick as well.” Avit told her.



“We should leave him alone, let him rest.” The Priest said as she walked up the three of them.



“Of course.” Avit said with a nod. Aj looked at Marsa, his eyes were closed again, and even in his sleep he looked restless. He turned around and followed Avit outside. He was surprised to see the guards had cleared all of the people; the only ones in the hall were Nalia, Queen Evia, and the guys.



“What is going on is Marsa alright?” Evia asked concerned. Aj looked at Avit, even he had to double check.



“I am afraid he is quiet ill.” Avit said sadly.



“He’ll be ok though right?” Nick asked.



“I do not know Prince Nickolas.” Avit replied.



“Avit?” Evia said sadly. “How, he was fine earlier.”



“We believe it was poisoned.” Avit said quietly.



“You mean someone..” Evia said shocked.



“Johon.” Nalia said.



“Most likely, but it worries me that some of my men follow him.” Avit said with some anger. “I need to go check with my men, see if there is any word on anything.” Avit said with a bow. Aj watched Avit walk down the hall, he was kind of stunned. This was all happening pretty fast.



“Alex did you want to stay here?” Rayne asked.



“Yeah.” Aj said with a light nod.



“Dude you look like you need to sit down.” Nick said.



“Yeah man.” Kevin said standing up. “Take my seat, sit down.” Aj walked over to the chair and sat down. “You ok?” Kevin asked as Aj looked up at him.



“I’m just a little.” Aj stopped his words lost in his thoughts of what Marsa’s death would mean.



“We should give him a moment.” Rayne said as Aj looked up. He watch as his friends stepped back and gave him some space.



“I am going to go check with Avit.” Evia said and then left everyone and headed down the hall.



They all waited in the hall, time slowly slipped pass, a couple of hours later Avit joined them. A couple of hours after that Nalia, Nick, Kevin, Brian, and Howie went to bed. Aj took a deep breath trying to wake himself up as he opened his eyes. He looked around and saw Avit leaning by Marsa’s door. Looking beside him he saw Rayne curled up in a chair sleeping. He lightly smiled as he sat up. Marsa’s door opening took his attention from her. A Priest walked out as Avit stood up straight.



“The King has passed.” The Priest said quietly as he bowed his head. Avit bowed his head back and the Priest returned to the room. Aj stood up as the door closed and he looked at Avit.



“He’s gone?” Aj asked.



“Yes.” Avit said with a quick nod.



“What happens now?” Aj asked him.



“There is nothing we can do tonight; tomorrow you must announce his passing.” Avit told him. “I do not mean to push you Alexander but you will need to decide tonight on the fate of the Crown.” Avit told him. “The people need to know who their leader is, especially now.”



“Ok.” Aj said quietly. Avit tried to force a smile to him, and then headed down the hall. “Hey Avit?” Aj said and the General stopped walking.



“Yes sir?’ He said as he turned around.



“What did Marsa mean when we saw him earlier, about you being married to a Breezewalker.” Aj asked him.



“Perhaps another time Sir?” Avit asked and Aj saw the pain on Avit’s face.



“Yeah sure, of course, I’m sorry.” Aj said



“It is alright Sir.” Avit said. Aj lightly smiled and then Avit left down the hall. Aj turned around and saw Rayne still sleeping on the chair. He smiled as he watched her sleep. Quietly he walked over to her and gently slid his arms under neither her. She mumbled a little as her head rested on his shoulder, her forehead just touching the side of his neck. Carefully he walked down the hall as he carried towards her room. He turned the corner and walked passed his room to the other end of the hallway. Slowly he reached for the door knob and turned it and lightly smiled in celebration as the door clicked opened. Using her legs he gently pushed the door back and walked into her room. The servants had already closed the curtains to her bed along with the curtains to her windows. He carried her over to the side where the servants had left one side open to crawl into at night. Carefully he laid her down on the bed, sliding her blankets out from under her and pulling them over her as she moved a little, unconsciously getting into her sleeping place. Gently he sat down on the edge of the bed and looked at her. Her mother, her father, her mother again, and now Marsa all gone from her life. If it hadn’t been for her, he would have never given Marsa a chance, a chance to get to know him. He brought her hand to his lips and gently kissed the back of her hand. Aj sighed as he put her hand back down and stood up. Closing her curtain before he left, he walked out of the room, quietly closing the door behind him. He walked down the hall but didn’t go to his room. There was a long night a head of him, he had a lot of thinking too do, and he decided someplace quiet was the place to be.
Chapter 9 by VeeLynn
The Guardian Crusade

Volume I



Chapter 9



Aj sat in a room. It was small only enough space for a chair in the corner and a table beside it. He hadn’t seen anyone not even Rayne this morning, skipping breakfast to prepare for the announcement and the ceremony. He had been up all night thinking about Marsa, about his time here, about home. With a deep sigh he looked himself over one more time. This robe he didn’t pick out, Avit did. Told him it was his ceremonial robe, with Winnol’s colours and crest on it.



A knock at the door broke him from his thoughts and he turned around. Slowly the door opened and his heart started racing when he saw Avit walk in. The Elvaan was wearing his best armor, it was clean and not a scratch on it, the Winnol crest embedded onto the front. Obviously not something he wore out to a fight,



“Are you ready Sir?” Avit asked with a light bow.



“Yeah.” Aj said as he inhaled deeply. “As ready as I’ll ever be.”



“Are you sure with your decision?” Avit asked him.



“Yes.” Aj said with a nod. Avit nodded to him as there was a knock at the door. Avit opened the door just a little and Aj watched as he talked to someone. A minute later Avit closed the door and turned to Aj.



“We are starting.” Avit told him. Aj’s heart started beating faster. His nerves started making him sweat, and shake a little. He hadn’t been nervous like this in a long time.



Aj heard music starting to play off in the distance and a moment later the door to the room opened. Avit nodded for him to follow and Aj did. As they got closer to the music, Aj saw about twelve guards standing by a door and they all straighten up when they saw Avit. A man went through the door and shortly after that the music stopped. He looked around at the men as they started to get into formation. Then he noticed the music had started again but it was a different song. The doors opened and the soldiers started to walk out. Aj couldn’t see anything to many men in the way.



“You will walk beside me until we approached the stage, then you will walk up yourself and address everyone.” Avit said reminding Aj what they had gone over early this morning. Aj nodded understanding. When Avit turned around Aj got a better view of the room on the other side of the door. It was a large theatre and the music echoed loudly with the acoustics. The soldiers that were standing in the hallway now stood in two rows facing each other.



“Ready Sir?” Avit asked. All Aj could do was nod. Avit lightly smiled as he turned and stood up a little straighter. Aj waited for the music to stop and when it did Avit and him walked out into the theatre. The crowed was a wave of whispers as he walked passed the soldiers. When they approached a section of stairs on the stage Avit stopped and Aj looked at him. The General nodded for Aj to go up the stairs and he did remembering not to fidget and too show strength like Avit told him too.



Aj stopped in the middle of the stage and faced the crowed that was in front of him. Taking a minute to remember the words he was suppose to say he looked around at the crowd. The guys were in the front row to his left, and they looked as confused as he felt. He looked at Nick who had the stupidest look on his face, it almost made Aj laugh and he quickly looked down.



“Ass, he’s going to get beats for that.” Aj thought as he took a deep breath. With a deep exhale Aj looked up to the people of Winnol.



“This morning is a sorrowful day for all of Winnol. Last night we lost our beloved King Marsa Breezewalker.” Aj said as the crowed whimpered and whispered. “I know you all share in my grief and know that Pixca morns with you, for she has lost a true protector.” Aj said as he felt his eyes get a little misty. Taking a deep breath he began to talk again. “I did not know King Marsa that long, but the man I came to know as a person and as a Father was a man of pride, love, and strength. He cared for Winnol and her Elvaans; he cared for Pixcadia and all of her people.” Aj said as he looked to the crowed as everyone looked back at him. “As his only remaining son, I hope I can lead Winnol and protect Pixcadia with the same pride, love and strength as he did.”



The crowed erupted into chatter as he made his announcement that he would take over as King of Winnol. He looked down to Avit, and the General nodded for him to continue, as he took a deep breath he looked back out to the crowed.



“As your new King..” Aj was interrupted.



“You are not King.” A man said from the back and the crowed turned around and looked as they erupted into chatter. Aj looked to the back of the theatre and saw a man in a black hooded cape walk down the isle. Aj quickly looked to Avit when he saw the man was backed up by Johon’s men. Avit was already running up the stairs to stand by Aj’s side.



“Who are you?” Aj asked as the man stopped near the front rows.



“You have no right protesting the throne, you are nothing more than a lackey of Johon, and this is an insult to King Marsa himself!” Avit shouted.



“I am not one of Johon’s lackey’s; I am sure by now you know Johon is dead.” The man said in a strong tone. “I have the right to contest the throne, because this man.” He said as he pointed to Aj. “Is an imposter.”



“An Imposter?” Aj and Avit said confused.



“Marsa only had one true son.” The man said. “One true heir to his throne.” The man stopped as Aj looked to Avit, the General had a very confused look on his face. When Aj looked back to the man in the isle, he pulled his hood back. “Dyn Breezewalker first and only son born to Marsa and Tas Breezewalker.” The crowed erupted into shock as they stood and looked at the Elvaan man that claimed that name.



“Dyn?” Avit said shocked. Aj looked at the General beside him his face was full of confusion and questions. “But you were killed in…in Pomic.” Avit said shocked.



“No.” Dyn said. “I was saved.” He then turned around and everyone, the crowed, Avit, and Aj looked back and saw the Mage coming down the isle. Her face hidden, but Aj knew who it was, who she was. He quickly looked down the first row as he scanned for Rayne. She was sitting beside Nalia on the other side of the guys, staring right at her mom. “This wonderful woman, found me, and nurtured me back to health.”



“You stand with this evil?” Avit said to him angerly.



“Evil? Oh Avit my dear sweet brother in law, she is not evil.” Dyn said with a light laugh. “No, Evil is a Father loving one son more than the other, a son that he only ever saw once.” Dyn said looking at Aj angerly.



“And your sister?” Avit yelled.



“Is dead.” Dyn shouted back. “Crushed by the falling buildings of Pomic, right before my eyes, and he knew, the man I do not call Father, knew the risk of war and still he let them go!” He shouted. “He sent his wife and his daughter...your wife Avit, he sent them to their deaths.” Aj looked at Avit, he had no idea, but now everything Marsa said last night made sense.



“There is a rightful heir to the throne; this man has no rule of it.” Dyn said pointing to Aj.



“He is still Marsa’s son whether you choose to believe it Dyn, Marsa wished him to be King and that is how it will be.” Avit said angerly.



“Then I call a conclave.” Dyn said. “Tomorrow the reigning Kings and Queens will meet, and that throne will be mine.” Dyn turned around and headed back towards the men.



“Arrest them!” Avit shouted and Aj looked at him confused. Avit’s men blocked the entrance and more block the opening to the isle in front of the stage.



“Arrest us?” Dyn said shocked. “On what grounds?”



“Dyn Breezewalker is dead, you sir are the imposter and the company you keep proves you such.” Avit said as he walked up to Dyn. “Impersonation a Royal family member is punishable by death.” Avit then turned around and looked at Aj. “Take them to the Jails.”



Dyn started yelling as he tried to fight the men off. Aj quickly looked at the Mage as two guards approached her but as they reached for her she vanished into thin air. Dyn saw this and started shouting even louder as the realization of him being left here alone hit him. A scream from his left made him and Avit turn around and his heart practically stopped when he saw the Mage holding Rayne. She held Rayne’s arms behind her and held her head back by her hair. Aj started running across the stage.



“Stop!” The Mage shouted as she pulled on Rayne’s hair and she whimpered in pain again. Aj stopped dead with Avit by his side. “Not one more step Alexander or she will become nothing more than an ice statue.” She said sternly as her hand, fingers sparkled in snowflakes. “Let Dyn go.” She said looking straight at Aj, she still remained hidden by the hood, only a few knew who she actually was.



“You let her go.” Aj said back to her. Her hand sparkled brighter and Rayne’s eyes widen as the spell was released.



“No!” Aj shouted as he took a step forward but Avit stopped him. Aj stopped and stared a Rayne, she was ok. She wasn’t frozen, or in pain, and there was a white light glowing around her.

“Bubble.” Aj heard the Mage say as she looked at Rayne. “Paladin!” She screamed as her head snapped to Kevin. Angerly she threw Rayne to the floor and flew at Kevin, grabbing him by his chest plate. Then as Kevin fought back they both disappeared into thin air.



“Where’d she go?” Aj said to Avit as they looked around.



“Any where Sir.” Avit said looking at him. “She could be anywhere.”



Aj closed his eyes and took a deep breath; he pictured the Mage and ready to teleport. But nothing happened, no swoosh, fly, jerk, nothing, he was still on the stage. He looked at Avit confused.



“Why didn’t I go?” Aj said to Avit as he motioned forward. Then he remembered what the Trainer Mage told him at the Magic Fields. “Damn it, she’s somewhere I’ve never been.” He said angerly. “Rayne.” He said to himself as he turned to where she was. He saw Nalia and Nick helping her up and he headed towards her.



“Aj where is he?” Brian said as he followed Aj from below.



“I don’t know.” Aj said back still looking at Rayne.



“Aj.” Brian said with worry. Aj quickly walked down the stairs and right over to Rayne.



“Are you ok?” He asked her as she sat down.



“Yes.” She said with a nod. “Just not sure what happened.”



“Alex!” Brian said grabbing his arm and spinning him around. Everyone stopped what they were doing and looked at the two. “Where is Kevin?” Brian said angerly.



“I said I don’t know.” Aj said back defensively. “Relax dude, we’ll find him.” Aj said trying to calm him down.



“When? How? We don’t even know where she took him.” Brian yelled.



“Well freaking out ain’t goin to help!” Aj yelled back at him. The two started into a shouting match, and everyone stood there watching, like watching a car crash.



“Guys!” Howie shouted and they stopped yelling and looked at him. “Calm down both of you, Aj’s right Rok we’ll find Kevin.”



“Why did she freak out on Kevin?” Nick asked as Brian and Aj went to their corners.



“He bubbled Rayne.” Nalia said as everyone looked at her. “It is a Paladin spell, it protects the caster or an ally from any damage, nothing can hurt them, it does not last long, but it lasted long enough.” Nalia said looking at Rayne.



“So Kevin saved her?” Nick asked a little shocked. “Dude’s stealing your mojo.” Nick said as he looked to Aj. He shook his head at Nick, always one with the smart ass remarks.



“Dyn is being escorted to the jails Sir.” Avit said as he walked over to the group.



“Do you think she will be back for him?” Howie asked looking around.



“If not him, she’ll come back for Rayne.” Nick said and Aj shot him a look, along with Nalia.



“What, realism people, look it up.” Nick said rolling his eyes.



“I’m amazed you can even say that word.” Aj said shaking his head.



“Hey.” Nick pouted.



“You know what.” Brian shouted out of no where and everyone looked at him. “You all laugh it up and have a grand ol’ time; I’m going to figure out how to get my cousin back.”



“How?” Aj said as he rolled his head to look at Brian. “How are you going to go get Kevin, do you know where he is?”



“No, but at least I want to find out.” Brian said as he spun back around.



“Whoa and we don’t?” Nick said jumping in on the conversation. “Aj’s right, say you find him then what? How are you going to get there, do you know how to get there?”



“Yeah Rok, we know you’re worried, we are too. But we gotta be smart about it.” Howie said to him.



“Yeah and you know he’d be smacking you upside the head for freaking out.” Nick said nudging him. Brian took a deep breath and sighed.



“Fine.” He said but he didn’t look at anyone.



“Speaking of smacks up side the head.” Aj said turning to Nick and then whacking him on the side of his head.



“Owe, what the hell was that for?” Nick squeeled.



“Hey.” Brian said as he smacked Nick for saying hell.



“Owe, damn it what is going on!?” Nick yelped as he turned to Brian and grabbed his arm that was now stinging.



“Mine was for the faces earlier.” Aj said as Nick looked to him.



“Oh yeah.” Nick said as the pain expression turned to laughter. “Well if I’m getting smacked then you should get some too.” Nick said to him.



“Me? What did I do?” Aj asked confused.



“Hello.. King!?” Nick said with a squeal.



“Hey Yeah.” Brian said pointing at Aj. “What’s up with that, you’re not staying.” Brian said looking at him.



“Brian, I’m not getting into this with you, at least not without Kevin here to back me up.” Aj added quickly.



“You think Kevin’s going to back you up being King? Staying here? Leaving everyone behind, your nuts, the magic is getting to your head.” Brian said angerly. “I can’t take anymore of this, when we go to find Kevin I’ll be in the room.” Brian said and with that he walked away. Aj rolled his eyes at Brian, knowing he was just over reacting and he needed time to chill. He looked over to Rayne; she was still sitting in the chair looking down at the ground.



“Hey.” He heard Nick say as he felt a nudge on his arm. Aj turned his head and looked at him confused. “Are you really staying?”



“Yeah.” Aj said with a nod. “After the Priest told us about Marsa I went for a walk, thought about a lot off stuff and came to a decision.”



“Which was?” Howie asked as Aj looked at him.



“People would miss me at home yeah, and I’d miss them, but they would be ok, they would move on with their lives.” Aj told them. “But if I leave here, I don’t think the people here would get the same luxury.” He said with a light shrug. “There would be no one to take the throne, and they need someone now.”



”Well what about this new dude, Dyn, seems like he wants the job.” Nick said as Aj looked at him.



“Umm, that’s like handing over the Millennium Falcon to Jaba, no way.” Aj said looking at Nick.



“Wow dude.” Nick said in a little awe. “I dunno what to say, do you really think that dude is Marsa’s son?” Nick asked.



“Dunno.” Aj shrugged.



“Yes he is.” Avit said as Aj looked at him. “I know Dyn, and that is indeed him.”



“Then why did you arrest him?” Howie asked confused.



“Buy us some time.” Aj said as Avit looked at him.



“Yes.” Avit nodded. “If he does call a Conclave then the Kings and Queens will be called, which means King Rossi.” Avit said.



“Well Rossi will never vote him in.” Nick scoffed.



“So what about the other countries the ones Johon has, or had?” Howie said a little confused.



“My Mother.” Rayne said and everyone spun around and looked at her. “The evil that is controlling her, she can lay claim to Sarila, as Queen Halian and fight me for it, if she chooses to do so.” Rayne said sadly.



“So Nalia will get back Kalica and it would be two against one.” Nick said with a light smile.



“No.” Nalia said quietly. Everyone looked at Nalia and then to Rayne.



“Mother has claim over Kalica, it was Johon’s, and she can claim it as her in his death.” Rayne said as she looked away.



“Damn.” Nick sighed.



“I need to go check on Dyn perhaps I can get some answers.” Avit said to Aj. Aj nodded and watched as Avit headed out of the theatre.



“We’re going to go check on Brian; we’ll meet up at lunch?” Nick said as Howie, Nalia and him stood in front of Aj.



“Cool.” Aj nodded. They said goodbye and headed to the side doors where Aj had first come in.



Aj in haled deeply as he looked around, he knew it was going to be a weird morning, but he didn’t think it would be this weird. The theatre was quiet with everyone gone and no music playing, he could almost hear himself breathing.



“Alex?” Rayne said from beside him. He looked over to her; she was standing by the chair. He noticed she looked a little shaken up and he turned to her. “You..” She stopped, he’s not sure why. “You are staying?” she asked. He lightly smiled and nodded at her. She took a step forward and then quickly walked up to him, almost throwing herself into his arms. He lightly laughed as he wrapped his arms around her.



“I wanted to tell you this morning but everything was crazy I never got a chance to see you.” Aj said as he held her.



“I was a little confused when I woke up this morning; I thought I was sleeping in the chair in the hall.” She said as she pulled away a little.



“You were, but after the Priest came out and told us about Marsa, I carried you back to your room.” Aj said as he looked down at her. She lightly smiled as he slowly leaned in and kissed her. He kept his eyes closed for a second as they pulled away.



“Are you sure?” She asked as he looked at her.



“Yes.” He nodded. “Now, we should go find Kevin before Brian lays an egg.” He said as he took her hand. She started laughing as they headed to the door at the side of the theatre.









Kevin grunted in pain as he slammed into a shelf on the wall. His eye hurt his lip was swollen and his mouth tasted like blood. His head was pounding and he wasn’t sure if he was cut open. As a sharp pain ripped through his body and head, the Mage picked him up and he groaned. She stood him up and slammed him back into the wall.



“You want to be brave?” She hissed at him. Again he felt her pull on him, he felt him fly across the room and he came crashing down, smashing the table under him. He tried to sit up but the pain made his head spin. Laying back down he tried to open his eyes, and when he did he saw the Mage standing over top of him. “You want to play hero?” She said as she grabbed him by the hair. The Mage pulled Kevin close to her, his eye rolling back, he could barely see her. “Then you will die a hero.” She pulled her hand back. Kevin tried with all his might to muster up another bubble spell but he didn’t have enough strength. Then he heard a slamming noise and he fell to the floor. A flash of pain ripped through him when he hit the ground; slowly he rolled over and tried to find the Mage. He looked up towards where he thought the doors were and saw her talking to someone; the voices were mumbled by the pounding in his head. He couldn’t make out who the other person was, he could barely make out who the Mage was his vision was doubled and woozy. Rolling back over, he moaned as he reached for his head. When he heard footsteps coming towards him he forced opened his eyes and saw the Mage standing over him again.



“You are lucky Paladin, seems someone thinks you are more valuable to us alive at this moment.” She said as she looked down at him. “Guards!” She shouted as she stood up. “Take him to my daughter’s room; he might as well get to know the woman he is going to die for.” She stepped back as she spoke and then Kevin felt two people grab his arms and pull him up. The pain was too much, coming at him from every place on his body, his head pounded and then nothing as he passed out in the arms of the guards.



When the pounding started again he moaned more out of frustration than pain, the calm didn’t last long enough. As his thoughts slowly broke through the pain he opened his eyes and looked around. He was on the wood floor and he looked up at the large arch shaped windows. Slowly as he sat up and his vision became clearer, he looked around the room. A large canapé bed was on his left and he reached for the edge pulling himself up slowly.



Kevin winced in pain as he turned around and sat down on the bed. He took a deep breath and gasped as his ribs ached. As he slowed his breathing to lessen the pain he looked up and saw himself staring back at him. His eye was starting to go black and his lip was all puffy. Everything was starting to come in clear but his head was still throbbing. He looked from the mirror to the dresser and saw a necklace sparkling off the sunlight. Slowly he got up and walked over to it, picking it up and looking at it. He stared at it for a moment; he swore the inside of the stone was moving. He figured it was Rayne’s and she might want it back, so he tucked the necklace away safely behind his breast plate. Carefully he made his way back over to the bed. The clock chimed one and Kevin looked out the window.



“Alright Mclean, you got an hour.” He said with a sarcastic smile. It made him laugh a little but also wince in pain. Slowly he pulled himself back onto the bed and gently laid down, relaxing, hoping for some more sleep, to make his headache go away.











Aj stretched out as a yawn slowly woke him from his deep sleep. Sluggishly he opened his eyes and sat up. Looking around he remembered he was in his room and on the couch. He had fallen asleep before lunch. Avit was sending some Riders to go to Sarila and do some recon. Rubbing his eyes he yawned one more time and stretched. Standing up he fixed his robe and walked over to his window. He pulled back the curtains and opened the windows slightly, looking out. The sun was coming down and there were still people out on the streets. He wondered what time it was, so he closed the window and turned around. Walking over to the opposite side of his bed he looked at the small clock on the night stand. He was shocked to see it was three in the afternoon.



“We know where he is” Brian said as his bedroom door flew open and Aj spun around.



“Come in?” Aj said as he watched Nick, Brian and Howie walk into his room.



“I told him to knock.” Nick said as he jumped on Aj’s couch laying down.



“Dude.” Aj said pointing to his couch.



“Hey hello?” Brian said waving at them. “The Riders said that there is mass activity in and around the castle, they dropped off some spies and will report more in a couple of more hours.”



“Are we seriously going to wait that long?” Nick asked.



“Oh so now you wanna go.” Brian said looking at him.



“Shut up.” Nick said rolling his eyes. “Why don’t we do what Rayne was going to do?” Nick asked as he looked at Aj.



“Which was?” Howie asked.



“The Globe!” Aj said snapping his fingers.



“Yeah, and your girlfriend has the key.” Nick said with a crooked smile.



“She’s not his girlfriend.” Howie said rolling his eyes. “Is she?” He asked quickly looking at her.



“Well…I..” Aj sputtered his words.



“Yeah see told ya.” Nick said standing up. “So, let’s go get Rayne and Nalia and let’s go get Kev.” Nick said as he looked around.



“Just us?” Brian asked.



“Oh, now you’re chickening out?” Nick asked sarcastically. Brian shook his head clearly annoyed with Nick but it was a brotherly annoyance and soon forgotten.



“We need a plan?” Howie said as the guys walked down the hallway towards Rayne’s room. Well all but Nick, he went to go get Nalia.



“Go in, kick ass, get Kevin, leave.” Aj said nodding.



“Good plan.” Brian said with a nod.



“Why thank you.” Aj said with a nod.



“Wish it was that easy.” Howie said rolling his eyes.



“Well, anyone of you good at Risk?” Aj asked. “Strategy planning.”



“We’re going to get Kevin, not invade a country.” Brian said lightly smacking him on the arm.



“Fine smart ass, what do you suggest.” Aj said looking at Brian as they stopped at Rayne’s door.



“We need to be sneaky.” Brian said thinking. Aj rolled his eyes a little. Well duh they had to be sneaky; they weren’t going to just walk up to the front door. He knocked on Rayne’s bedroom door as he looked back to Brian.



“Would they be holding him in the jails?” Brian asked as he looked to Aj.



“Dunno.” Aj said with a shrug.



“They might want to keep him close by though, because they could be expecting us to come get him.” Brian said. Aj turned to the door again as Brian went on about using that to their advantage, when her door opened.



“Hello.” Rayne said as she smiled when she saw him. “Have a good nap?” She asked.



“Nick says you can turn on the globe.” Brian said as she looked at him a little stunned.



“Pardon?” She said.



“Nick and Aj.” Brian said pointing to Aj. “They said you have a key to the globe, the globe that will take us to where Kevin is.”



“You know where he is?” She asked and Aj saw some relief on her face.



“Yeah.” Aj nodded. “Look’s like he’s in Drisel.”



“Oh.” She said the thought of her home made her a little sad.



“So, you have the key right?” Brian asked again.



“Brian chill out.” Aj said a little annoyed.



“Yes, I have the key.” Rayne said confused. “What is going on?” She asked looking at Aj. Aj told her what the Riders had reported to Avit, and about how they got the idea to use to globe to go get him, instead of waiting.



“We don’t know our way around the Castle so we need you to come.” Aj said as he looked at her.



“Of course.” She said nodding. “When are we going?”



“As soon as Nick and Nalia get here.” Aj said as she turned around. He watched as she walked over to a dresser and pulled something from it. She then walked over and grabbed her robe and bag, then headed back towards them.



“You should tell Avit where you are going.” Rayne said as she closed her door.



“Yeah I will as soon as we’re ready to go.” He said with a nod.



They walked down the hall and waited at the top of the stairs. They discussed places they could be keeping Kevin and Rayne went over a quick run through on the different sections of the Palace.



“Ok ready.” Nick said as him and Nalia approached them.



“Alright let’s go tell Avit we’re going and then we’ll leave.” Aj said as they all headed down the stairs.



They walked behind the staircase and Aj opened the doors to the meeting room. When he walked in he saw Avit and Rossi talking. They both looked up when they saw the six walk in.



“Is everything alright Sir?” Avit asked as Aj stopped at the desk.



“We’re going to go get Kevin.” Aj told him.



“Now?” Avit asked.



“Yes.” Rayne nodded. “We will take the globe.”



“The six of you against Johon’s army?” Rossi scoffed.



“We have Aj.” Nick said. “He took out a huge chunk of his army last time.”



“Avit, we’re going, I came to let you know so you can have guards at the globe to watch it.” Aj said as he looked at the General. Avit looked at Rossi and then sighed.



“You can not be bloody well serious Avit.” Rossi said as he looked at him.



“Be careful Alexander.” Avit said looking at him with worry.



“We’ll be fine.” Aj said nodding to him. “Ok.” He said turning to his friends. “Let’s go.”
Chapter 10 by VeeLynn
The Guardian Crusade

Volume I



Chapter 10



Kevin leaned on the dresser as he looked his face over in the mirror. He had healed a lot in the last couple of hours. Thanks to his cure spells he was feeling better, and his head wasn’t hurting. When he heard the door opened he turned around and saw three guards walk in with the Mage behind them.



“You have healed nicely.” She said with a nod. Kevin didn’t say anything as he kept space between him and her. “So, Rem tells me you are the eldest out of your friends.” The Mage said as she walked over to Rayne’s bed. “And I must say you are a beautiful looking Human.” She said as she looked him up and down.



“Well baby, I must say you are a nasty looking one.” He said as he leaned back on the dresser still looking at her with a half cocked smile. The guards didn’t stand for it and they grabbed him and forced him to his knees. The Mage furious with what he said flew off the bed and stood in front of him. She glared at him, grunted in anger at him, and he wonder if she was going to strike him again.



“Bring him.” Halian said as she spun around her robe slapping Kevin in the face. The guards stood him up as she opened the bedroom door and they followed her out, pushing and shoving Kevin through the doorway. As the group walked down the hall there was a loud crash from up above. The group dropped to the ground as dust from above fell from the ceiling and they quickly looked up. Kevin was slammed to the floor as the guards pinned his head down.



“What was that?” One of the guards shouted. Then there were loud thunderous stomping steps from above, the roof shook with every step, and Kevin wonder if it would fall.



“M’Lady?” One of the guards said as the sound made its way down the stairwell, down the hallway in front of them.



“Get up, get up.” The Mage shouted and as the guards began pulling Kevin up he saw the Mage reach for him. “You, come with me.” She hissed at him. “Guards go upstairs.” She shouted back at them. The three soldiers that were with them ran past them and headed to the stairs. They were stopped when a giant man, looked like he was made from dirt appeared from the hallway stairs.



Kevin’s eyes went wide as he saw it. It stood at least ten feet tall, his head almost touching the ceilings. His body was covered in mud and sticks, his teeth were large and jagged, and when the thing turned and saw the group of guards and the Mage, it roared, no more like screamed and screeched at them. Its arms went flying up into the air and as they did Kevin saw Nick running down the stairs.



“Found him!” Nick shouted, almost nonchalantly up the stairs. Kevin watched as Nick motioned for the beast to do something and then it took of running for the guards. As one guard ran at it, the giant man beast swung his arm and sent the soldier flying into the wall. That was enough for the other guards, they weren’t that nuts and they took of running, passed Kevin, and passed the Mage as she screamed at them. As Kevin looked back to the stairs he saw the rest of the Gang.



“You’re late!” Kevin shouted at them.



“His fault!” The guys shouted back as they pointed to Aj. Kevin started to laugh when he felt the wall slam up against his face, and his head started pounding again. Then he felt the Mage let go of him as a loud smashing sound exploded behind him. Quickly he turned around and saw the Mage holding her hand, he look to the group and saw Aj standing in front of them. Kevin decided to use this as his chance; quickly he reached down and grabbed a sword that was lying on the ground from one of the guards. Picking it up, he looked at the Mage as she spun around and looked at him but her attention was taken by the giant beast running at her. The Mage sent out spell after spell as she backed away from the beast as he came at her.



“Kev!” He heard Nick shout and he looked over. “Let’s go!” He said rolling his eyes. Kevin started running towards his friends. Then out of no where guards came running down the stairs and they erupted into a fight. Spells where flying left and right, swords were swinging and people were shouting.



“The Orc is down!” Kevin heard Nick shout and he looked back to the giant beast which laid on the ground, quickly he scanned for the Mage and saw her heading right for them. Something caught his eye and he spun to his left and saw a guard coming at him. He swung out his sword, hit the soldier with a holy spell and then slammed him into the wall, knocking the guard out. As he turned around another guard came at him, he brought his arm up but he wasn’t quick enough and the guard grabbed it pulling him up. Another guard came up behind him and grabbed his other arm. He jerked and pulled trying to get away, he tried to look back for Aj or the guys but he couldn’t see them. As he turned his head he saw the Mage pick up a sword and head straight for him. Kevin’s mind went blank he couldn’t remember the bubble spell he had preformed so many times, nothing came to mind as he watch the Mage pull the sword back.



He closed his eyes and flinched waiting for it, for the sharp pain to rip through his body. But after the thoughts of the pain left his head, he realized there was none. Slowly he opened his eyes and then he opened them wider as he saw Rayne standing in front of him. As the adrenaline rushed through his body Kevin head butted one of the guards, he let go of Kevin’s arm reaching for his head in pain, and Kevin used that as an opportunity to punch the other guard. The guards fell away from him and he quickly turned his attention back to Rayne and the Mage.



Kevin saw Rayne still standing in front of him, her back too him, he looked past her and saw the Mage slowly stepping backwards as she stared at her daughter. Kevin ran at the Mage with his sword out but before he got to her she disappeared into then air. Kevin spun around and saw Rayne pulling the sword out of her stomach. He ran up to her as she started to fall to her knees and he caught her, slowly lowering her to the floor. He looked at her with panic as she looked back at him the same way. Her breathing was short and quick and she lightly moaned in pain as Kevin laid her down.



“Stay calm Rayne.” Kevin said to her as she gasped a little. Kevin looked up and searched the hall for Brian.



“Brian!” Kevin shouted as loud as he could, it was so loud it made Brian jump. Quickly he looked back down to Rayne. Her colour was pale, her breathing was more like gasps and her eyes quickly searched around as Brian came up to them.



“Rayne?” Kevin heard Aj say and he looked up and saw Aj standing over them. He was staring at Rayne and he slowly dropped to his knees. “What happened?” Aj asked as he looked at Kevin.



“She jumped in front of me; I don’t know it happened so fast.” Kevin said looking at Aj. Kevin watched as Rayne’s hand reached up for Aj. Her hand covered in her blood but Aj didn’t care as he took it and looked at her.



“Brian?” Kevin asked as he looked to his cousin.



“I’m trying but I can’t cure her fast enough.” Brian said as Kevin looked back to Aj and Rayne.



“Hang on ok?” Aj said to her as he brushed her hair from her face. Rayne just lightly smiled at him as her eyes slowly blinked. Kevin watched as Rayne took a breath and then nothing. “Rayne?” Aj said as he looked at her hand as she let go of his. “Rayne?” He said again as he looked back at her. Kevin’s heart sank as Aj started crying. He looked up at Howie and Nick, both were standing there stunned. Nick was holding Nalia as she cried against his chest. Kevin looked back down at Aj, he was still holding Rayne’s hand as he looked down at the ground.



“Brian.” Aj said his tone was emotionless and stern. “Raise her.”



“What?” Brian said looking at him. “I can’t do that.”



“You’re a Priest. Raise her.” Aj said looking at him.



“Did they show you how?” Kevin asked his cousin.



“Yeah but I’m not..I mean they said it doesn’t always work, like two percent odds.” Brian said with panic in his voice.”



“Please Brian you have to try.” Nalia said as Kevin and Brian looked up at her. Kevin looked at Brain and his cousin was already looking at him.



“You gotta try man.” Kevin said.



“Fine.” Brian said as he took her hands. He put her hands down on her stomach and placed his over hers. Kevin watched as Brian closed his eyes. He looked at Aj, his friend was staring at Brian’s hands. A light started to admit from them and Kevin looked at Brian.



“Is it working?” Nick asked when he saw the light.



“Not yet, that is the spell.” Nalia said as she tried to calm herself.



Kevin looked back down at Aj, it broke his heart to see him like this, and for the first time he was glad they weren’t on Earth. He knew Aj was going to have a hard time dealing with this so the further he was away from the vises of the past the better.



When Kevin heard someone gasp for air his head shot down at Rayne, she gasped for air again as she started coughing. Kevin slowly turned his head and looked at Brian as Aj called for Rayne.



“Whoa dude.” Kevin said looking at Brian. Brian didn’t say anything as he slowly pulled his hands away and looked at them. He looked back at Aj and he was picking Rayne up in his arms.



“Is she?” Kevin said to Aj as he stood up.



“She’s breathing, that’s all I know, I need to take her to the Springs in Winnol.” Aj said as Kevin helped Brian up.



“Did I just?” Brian said looking at Kevin.



“Guys.” Nick said as he walked up to them. “We’ve got company.” He said nodding down the hall. Kevin turned around and saw the Mage standing at the end of the hall. Nalia walked out from behind him as she pulled her swords from their sashes, on her back.



“Get her to Winnol.” Nalia said looking at Aj. Aj nodded and turned around, Brian and Howie followed him as he ran up the stairs.



“You’re not going to fight her by yourself.” Nick said as he walked up beside Nalia.



“Yeah, Aj’s got Rayne, we can take this.” Kevin said turning to Nalia and Nick.



“Petty little human’s you have no idea who you are dealing with.” The Mage shouted at them.



“Hey, he’s a Dwarf.” Kevin said pointing to Nick sounding a little insulted.



“Yeah!” Nick shouted at her. “Wait, hey, you ass.” Nick said looking at him.



“Silence!” The Mage shouted as she sent an ice bolt at Nick and it sent him back a couple of feet. Nalia charged after her, readying her swords in the hair. As an Ice bolt flew at Nalia, she spun out of the way. A dark purple stream caught Kevin’s eye and he looked over to Nick, then to the Mage as she was sent flying against the wall.



“Nalia let’s go!” Nick shouted to her as she looked at him. When he saw the Mage getting up he sent another shadow bolt at her. This time she blocked it with a shield spell and she sent a fire ball at Nick. Kevin raised his arm and protected Nick with the bubble spell, the fire ball exploded against the glowing aura around Nick. He watched as Nick slowly brought his arms down and looked at Kevin.



“Thanks dude.” Nick said with a very grateful smile. Kevin smiled lightly as he looked back to the Mage who was fighting Nalia. Nalia was attacking fast and hard with her swords against the Mages’ staff. The staff broke and sparked as it shattered into pieces. Kevin watched as the Mage grabbed onto Nalia tossing her over the staircase balcony and then the Mage went over too.



“Nalia!” Nick shouted as he ran to the balcony wall, Kevin ran right behind him. They came to a dead stopped and looked over the edge. The Mage laid on the bottom floor, when they heard a little grunt they looked down against the wall and saw Nalia holding on to one of her swords as it stuck out of the wall. Nick and Kevin quickly reached down and grabbed her arm. Together they pulled her up and over the balcony wall. “Are you ok?” Nick asked frantic.



“Yes, I am fine.” Nalia said a little out of breath. “Do you think she is dead?” She asked as the three of them looked over the balcony. Kevin and Nick looked at each other; they had seen enough movies too know.



“They never are.” Kevin said looking at Nick.



“Yeah, let’s get out of here.” Nick said as he looked back to Nalia. The three of them turned around and ran to the stairs. All three of them skipped steps as they made their way up to the floor with the globe room. As they reached the top of the staircase they looked down the hall when they heard a clatter of noise. They looked to their right and saw a handful of the Mage’s men running at them.



“Go, go.” Kevin said motioning for them to just run for it. The three took off and headed down the hall with the soldiers running behind them. The door to the globe room was already opened and they ran right into the room. Nick and Kevin each grabbed a door and slammed it shut. Kevin looked around frantically for something to block the door, and then he saw a chair in the far corner. He ran over, grabbed it, and jammed it under the door knobs. A second later the doors started shaking and the knobs rattled as the guards tried to get in.



“Hurry.” Nalia said as Kevin looked at her standing at the pedestal. “Do not want them shutting it off on us.” Nick and Kevin ran up to the globe and put their hands on it. The doors busted opened and the chair went flying as the guards ran in. Nalia quickly put her hand on the globe and with all three touching the globe, it activated. The smoke engulfed them as the guards ran at them. When they didn’t hear the yelling and shouting from the guards they started to wave the smoke away. As they looked around they saw that they were back in Winnol.



“You made it.” Avit said walking up to them.



“Shut it off, we got party crashers.” Nick said to Avit as they stepped down. Avit grabbed the key that Rayne had given him before they left and put it into the globe. He turned the key and the glow disbursed and the globe shut off.



“Where is Ranye?” Nalia asked Avit once the globe had shut down.



“Alexander took her to the Springs.” Avit said to her. Nalia turned around and headed out of the door.



“Is she ok?” Kevin asked Avit as they followed behind her.



“I am not sure. Alexander came through the globe with your friends and went right there; your friends are the ones that told me what happened.” Avit explained. When they got to the outside of the castle their walking turned into running as they made their way to the Healing Springs. They walked through the archway and into the open field in the middle of all the caves. Kevin saw Brian and Howie standing there talking.



“Hey you made it.” Howie said smiling when he saw the three walk in.



“Is she ok?” Nalia asked them.



“Not sure yet, Aj’s still in there with her.” Brian said.



“You ok?” Kevin asked looking at Brian.



“No.” Brian said half laughing. Kevin couldn’t help but smile at him. When he felt a tap on his shoulder he looked to his right and saw Nick nodding to one of the caves. Kevin looked and saw Aj coming out of the doorway.



“Hey.” Kevin said and Aj looked up. His robe was still covered in her blood; he looked like shit, eyes puffy and red. “Is she ok?” Kevin asked as Aj walked up to them.



“Yes.” He said with a sigh. “But she’s pretty weak and will need to stay in the Springs over night.” Aj said as he looked at Nalia.



“Is she awake?” Nalia asked.



“No, she’s.” Aj stopped. Kevin could tell he was still upset. “She’s sleeping.” Everyone looked up when they heard someone come out of her room. When they realized it was just Priests talking to each other they all looked away. “I need to go change.” Aj said as everyone looked at him. “Nalia, will you.” He stopped when he looked back at the room.



“Yes. Of course” Nalia said with a nod. Aj said nothing and he didn’t look at anyone as he headed out of the Healing Springs.









Aj walked through the city as the people looked at him and the mess of his robe, but he didn’t care. His mind was still racing from the events that had happened. Every time he closed his eyes he saw her, lying there, her eyes lifeless. He looked up quickly when one of the guards said hello to him as they opened the Castle doors. He lightly smiled as he looked away and walked into the entrance of the Castle.



“Alexander?” Avit said from behind him and Aj slowly turned around. “Do you need anything?” Aj looked at him for a moment, and then shook his head. Turning back around he headed up the stairs, and headed right to his room.



When he entered the room he closed the door behind him. He walked over to his bathroom as he pulled his robe off him and let it fall to the floor. Aj flicked at the water heater, lighting it with a fire spell. He turned on the water and let the tub fill up. The water warmed up as it flowed through the pipes. Turning around he shut the bathroom door and then slipped into the tub. He laid back as the water filled up around him. Not wanting to close his eyes, he stared at the ceiling, when his eyes felt heavy and tired he looked to the sink, then looked at the tub, and then back to the ceiling. When the water hit his chest, he slowly sat up and shut the taps off. He laid back with a sigh as he brought his hand up and rubbed his eyes.



As the realization that the events were over, he was back in Winnol, and the fact that Rayne had died hit him, he started crying. He hadn’t had time to deal with what happened to Marsa, with what happened to Kevin, and then what happened to Rayne. Now everything was quiet and his mind let him think. He leaned his head forward and splashed some water on his face as he washed the tears away. Laying back against the tub he took a deep breath and relaxed. When the water started getting cooler, he slowly pulled himself out of the tub. He grabbed the cloth towel from a stand in the corner, scrubbed his hair quickly and then wrapped the towel around his waist.



He walked out of the room and stopped when he saw the robe on the floor. Slowly he stepped over it and walked over to his dresser. Searching for one to wear he combed through the long pieces of clothing. Pulling out a solid black robe, he took it off its hook and wrapped it around himself. He walked over to his mirror and looked at himself, making sure everything was in place. When someone knocked on his bedroom door he looked over and stared at it. His heart raced a little as he thought about who it could be, someone telling him Rayne didn’t make it, someone telling him the Mage was back. He took a deep breath and walked over to his door.



Slowly he opened it and saw Avit standing on the other side. His stomach jumped into his throat as he looked at the General in the hall way.



“Is everything ok?” Aj asked forcing the words from his lips.



“Yes Sir.” Avit nodded. “I came to see how you were.”



“I’m fine I just want to get back to Rayne.” Aj said as he glanced over to the robe on the floor.



“I will have one of the maids come and remove the robe.” Avit said as Aj looked at him.



“Thanks.” Aj said quietly as he looked down.



“I talked to the Mages of the Council.” Avit said as Aj closed his door to his room and walked out to the hallway. “They are working with the Druids to conjure a shield spell so we can keep Halian from teleporting into the city.” Avit said.



“Sounds good.” Aj said with a nod.



“Hey.” Aj heard Kevin say and he quickly looked up. He was glad to see it was just Kevin and no one else.



“Well, excuse me, I will go talk to the maid and then head to the Council, see if there is anything new there.” Avit said with a nod to Aj.



“Thanks Avit.” Aj said with a light smile.



“You are most welcome Sir.” Avit said with a comforting smile. The General walked away from the men and headed down the stairs.



“So, what’s up?” Kevin asked as he turned back to Aj.



“Just heading back to the Springs.” Aj said nodding towards the stairs.



“Can I walk with ya?” Kevin asked.



“Sure.” Aj said with a shrug.



“Crazy day huh?” Kevin said as they walked down the stairs.



“Yeah.” Aj said nodding. “Are you alright, I mean being alone with the Mage?”



“Yeah.” Kevin nodded. “She roughed me up a bit, and I think she had something else planned but ya’ll bustin in on that.” Kevin said with a little smile. Aj lightly smiled as he watched the guards open the doors to the city. “Do you need to talk about what happened?” Kevin asked and Aj looked at him. “With Rayne.” Aj slowly looked away, he looked at the people who were bowing as he walked passed.



“It’s weird.” Aj said as he looked back to Kevin. “I decided to stay and be King cause well they need me too, there really is no other, and I can’t walk away from them.” Aj said with a shrug. “She was a big part of the reason why I wanted to stay and protect this place, and today.” Aj stopped as he took a deep breath. “Today she died, she was gone, and for one brief second I didn’t care again.”



“Well she’s back.” Kevin said putting his hand on Aj’s shoulder.



“Thanks too Brian.” Aj said as he looked at Kevin.



“That was nuts.” Kevin said looking at Aj. “He’s a little freaked out.”



“I would be too.” Aj said with a nod. When they walked into the Healing Springs, Aj looked around and saw no one there waiting outside of the caves.



“Well I’m going to head back; Brian wants to talk about you being King.” Kevin said with a light smile.



“Oh.” Aj said looking at him.



“Yeah, wait till I tell him I’m with you on it, I might be coming back here.” Kevin said with a light laugh. Aj started laughing too, and it felt good to laugh a little. They said goodbye and when Kevin left Aj turned to the cave that Rayne was in and walked through the entrance.



He walked over to the stone tub edge and carefully sat down next to it as he looked at her sleeping in the water. He reached in and pulled her hand out, watching the water fall from her fingers as he brought the back of her hand to his cheek.



“Alex?” Rayne’s weak voice spoke and Aj opened his eyes.



“I’m right here.” Aj said as he gently kissed the back of her hand.



“Is Kevin ok?” She asked as she tried to sit up.



“Don’t sit up, just lay there.” Aj said as he placed his hand on her shoulder. “Kevin’s fine.”



“Good.” Rayne said laying back down.



“Do you remember what happened?” Aj asked her. She nodded lightly as she looked at him, her eyes were barely open.



“She will push for war now.” Rayne said to him. “She will attack Winnol.”



“You don’t worry about that stuff right now.” Aj said as he put her hand down. “You just concentrate on getting better.”













Avit walked down the dirty hallway. It was small barely enough room for two men to walk down side by side. The sounds of prisoners talking and yelling echoed off the walls. He pulled out a key as he turned around one of the corners and stopped at the door way.



“Bad news Dyn.” Avit said as he opened the man’s cell door. The Elvaan looked up at Avit with a confused look on his face. “Seems Queen Halian has forgotten about you.”



“She will be back and Alexander will not harm me, if he does not want his friend to die.” Dyn said.



“Who Kevin?” Avit said as he picked Dyn up. “King.” Avit said making sure Dyn heard the word. “Alexander, Nickolas, Nalia and Rayne went to Drisel and glad to report to you Kevin is in Winnol and doing very well.”



“She will come for me.” Dyn said as Avit pulled him out of the cell. Avit laughed a little as he walked Dyn down the hall, his hands tied behind his back. “Where are you taking me?” He asked as they walked down the hallway.



“Alexander wishes to see you.” Avit said with a smile.



“I have nothing to say to that imposter.” Dyn snapped.



“That is quite alright Dyn but he has some things to say to you.” Avit said as they walked up the stairs.



“I have no interest in anything he has to say.” Dyn said as he looked away. Avit stopped and slammed him up against the wall.



“Then you will listen to me, you have ill feelings towards your Father that is yours to bare and bare alone, but Princess Rayne was a good friend of yours, you had strong feelings for her, and you align yourself with someone who wishes her dead?” Avit said angerly as he presses Dyn against the wall.



“He has filled your heads with lies Avit, why would Halian want Rayne dead?” Dyn asked and Avit heard the innocence in his tone.



“Dyn you fool.” Avit said angerly. He grabbed the Elvaan and walked him up the rest of the stairs. Avit opened the door and they walked behind the city, behind the houses, business, and the people. They reached the Healing Springs and Avit walked Dyn quietly over to the cave where Rayne was. “Look.” Avit whispered. Dyn looked from him to the cave opening, he saw Aj sitting by the stone tub. He glanced up and his face fell when he saw Rayne laying in the water.



“What happened?” He asked as he looked at Avit.



“Halian, she ran her through with a sword and she died.” Avit said as Dyn looked away. “If it had not been for Alexander’s friend she would not be in there.”



“They Raised her?” He asked shocked, Avit nodded.



“It is not Halian and you are so blinded by hatred for your Father you can not see it.” Avit said angerly. “And it almost cost Rayne her life, if I were Alexander I would do more than talk to you.” Avit said as he pulled him away from the door.









“Sir?” Aj heard Avit say and he looked up. Aj stood up and took a look back to Rayne as she laid sleeping in the stone tub. He walked out of the cave and into the open field where Avit was standing with Dyn.



“Who killed Marsa?” Aj asked as he stood in front of Dyn. He said nothing and made no eye contact with Aj. “It was you wasn’t it?” Aj said and Dyn looked up. “Kill your father, I become King, you protest the throne, ride on the backs of the people who don’t trust me and take the throne. That about sums it up right?” Aj said looking at him. Dyn swallowed a little pissed Aj figured it out and threw it at him.



“You waste your time imposter.” Dyn said staring at him. “I will not help you.”



“I don’t need your help.” Aj said as Dyn laugh. Aj started getting angry at him, he was Marsa’s son and he wanted to destroy this place. He wanted to send a fire bolt at him and show him how stupid he was for being so petty.



“I should be King.” Dyn snapped at Aj.



“Well you’re not I am, so deal.” Aj said as Dyn looked at him confused. When Aj saw Avit look at the door he turned around and saw Rayne standing at the cave entrance. She was leaning against the stone wall, her robe soaking wet.



“What are you doing out of the water?” Aj asked as he quickly walked over too you.



“I do not want to be in there anymore.” She said as she looked up at him. “I want to go to my room.”



“I’ll get a Priest and if he says you can then I’ll take you to your room, but until then get back into the tub.” Aj said as he wrapped his arm behind her, helping her back into the cave.



“Rayne?” Dyn said and Rayne stopped and slowly turned around. “It is good to see you again.” He said as Aj looked at him confused. Aj looked at Rayne and her eyes showed hurt and pain.



“I wish I could say the same.” She said quietly and then slowly turned around walking back into the cave. He walked her back over to the tub and held her arms as she stepped in and laid down.



“Why did you get out?” Aj asked her as he sat down on the edge.



“I wanted to go to my room, and I heard you talking outside.” Rayne said as she slowly got comfortable. “Why is Dyn here?” She asked him.



“I wanted to talk to him.” Aj said with a sigh. “But he’s not telling me anything.”



“Perhaps I could try.” Rayne said as she looked at Aj.



“No, Rayne you need to rest, I don’t want him in here upsetting you.” Aj said looking at her. “I’m going to go get the Priest now.” He said to her with a light smile. She smiled back at him as he stood up and headed out of the cave.



“I see my Father has poisoned her mind as well.” Dyn said as Aj walked out of the cave and Aj jumped a little forgetting that Avit and Dyn were outside. Aj looked at Dyn and then back to the cave.



“No buddy you did that yourself.” Aj said as he continued to into another cave. He heard Dyn yelling but ignored it as he walked up to a Priest. He told her that Rayne wanted to go to her room, and he wanted to make sure she was ok to go. Aj then followed the Priest back outside to Rayne’s cave.



“What is he yelling about?” Rayne asked Aj as him and the Priest walked into the cave.



“Who knows.” Aj said with a shrug.



“I really wish you would let me talk to him.” Rayne said as Aj looked at her.



“Tomorrow.” Aj said as he took her hand. “I’m going to go talk to Avit, I’ll come back when the Priest is done.” Aj said to her. She lightly smiled as he let go of her hand and headed out of the room.



“You have a choice Dyn.” Aj said looking at him as he walked up to him. “You can sit in the jail and wait for Halian to show up, if she show’s up.” Aj told him. “Or you can be a friend to Rayne, like you use to be, and help us end this war.”



“Friends, we were more than friends and I will not help you.” Dyn said angrily through his teeth. “Imposter.”



“Your choice.” Aj said with a shrug and looked at Avit. “Send him back down to the jails.” Avit nodded and turned Dyn around.



“She will see, she will see you for the imposter you are!” Dyn shouted as Avit dragged him away.



“Yeah.” Aj said as he turned around and started to head back to the cave. But he stopped when he saw the Priest walk out.



“Can she go to her room?” Aj asked.



“Yes, she can.” The Priest nodded. “She has healed quicker than expected.”



“Really.” Aj said as he looked at the Priest. “Should I be worried?”



“No, I am sure it is because of who she is.” The Priest said with a light smile. Aj lightly nodded and then the Priest left. Taking one last look around and not seeing anyone in the field, he turned and walked into the cave. When he walked in he saw Rayne sitting on a bench in a dry, clean robe.



“Ready?” He asked as she looked up.



“Yes.” She said with a light nod. He waited as she stood up and walked over to him.



They walked side by side as they left the Healing Springs and slowly walked through the city back to the Castle. The dirt streets were quiet, people in their homes, relaxing, sleeping. As they neared the center of the town, they could hear the chatter and laughter from the town pub.



“Could we stop for a moment?” Rayne asked and they stopped walking.



“Yeah.” Aj said with a nod. “Are you ok?”



“Yes, I just need to sit for a minute.” She said as he walked her over to a bench by the fountain. He held her arm as she sat down, and then he sat himself beside her.



The sound of laughter erupting from the bar made both look up at the pub window. The people inside were defiantly having a good time. Aj lightly smiled remembering a time when he would have been in there with them. He looked over at Rayne; she was gazing at the fountain, watching the water fall.



“Can I ask you something?” Aj asked her as she turned her head and looked at him.



“Of course.” She said as she tilted her head a little.



“How close were you and Dyn?” He asked.



“We were friends.” She told him. “Although I do know he wanted it to be more.”



“He did…” Aj said a little shocked. “Did you?” She looked up at him quickly, and then sighed.



“No...” She said but was cut off.



“EH!” Someone shouted and the two looked up. “It’s the imposter!” An Elvaan shouted drunkenly.



“Do not speak to King Alexander that way!” Someone shouted from behind the man, and shoved him.



“He is not a King, He is not even Elvaan!” The man yelled as he stumbled around.



“Aye Prince Dyn is the real King!” Someone else shouted.



“Let’s go.” Aj said as he took Rayne’s hand and helped her stand up.



“You are a disgrace to the Breezewalker name.” The drunken man said as he approached Aj.



“Now that is really quiet enough.” Rayne said as she looked at the man. The man went to turn to Rayne but a guard had come up behind him and pulled him back.



“Sorry Sir.” The Guard said as the drunken man squirmed around. He handed the man off to another guard. “Are you two alright?” He asked.



“Yes we’re fine.” Aj said as he looked at Rayne.



“Shall I escort you back to the Castle?” The guard asked.



“No, we just stopped for a moment.” Rayne said. “We will be on our way now.” The guard nodded and then diverted his attention to the pub.



“Well that was interesting.” Aj said as he looked at Rayne. She was holding onto his arm as she walked beside him.



“Just the ramblings of a drunken Elvaan.” Rayne said as she looked up at him.



“I think it was more than that Rayne.” Aj said. “Dyn is right; there are people who don’t trust me.”



“Because they do not know you, give them time and they will.” Rayne said to him.



“You seem confident.” Aj said with a light laugh.



“Well they have not seen what I have.” She said with a light smile. Aj looked at her and smiled. Then as quickly as it came it left as the image of her on the Palace floor flashed in his mind. He shook it from his head and looked away.



When he looked up again they were approaching the Castle doors. The guards bowed to them as the doors opened and the two walked inside. The place was quiet almost everyone had gone to their homes, it was getting late and only the night maids were around. They walked up the stairs and turned down the hallway towards Rayne’s room. When they reached her door he stopped.



“Maybe I should get Avit to post a guard out front your door, in case you need anything.” Aj said as she turned to him.



“Are you alright?” She asked as she stopped at her door.



“Huh?” Aj said a little confused where her question came from.



“Back in the city when we were talking you went awfully quiet.” She said looking at him.



“Oh.” Aj said remembering back to the conversation. “Yeah, yeah I’m fine.” He said as he tried to smile.



“Alex.” Rayne said as she took his hand. He looked down at their hands. Her touch was warm, unlike back at the Palace. He shook the thoughts from his head and looked back at her.



“Long day.” He said, not wanting to get into it. Afraid to tell her how he felt when she died, would she understand, he didn’t really understand. Having feelings was one thing, but the way he felt when she died in the Palace was not the loss of someone he had known for a week but that of someone he had known and loved for a long time.



When he felt a small tug on his hand he looked up and Rayne was standing at her door. It was opened a little and she nodded for them to go in. She opened the door wider as they walked in, letting go of his hand as she closed the door behind them.



“Now that we are behind closed doors,” She said as she turned to him. “I will ask again, are you alright?” Looking at her he fought himself within his mind to tell her. He looked up as he took a deep breath, the last stand against his feelings. He lost and as he looked back down at her, tears fell from his eyes.



“You died.” Aj softly cried. Rayne frowned as she reached out and pulled him into her arms. Slowly he wrapped his arms around her as she held him. “Where I come from when people die the way you did, they don’t come back ever.” He said as he slowly pulled away from her. “There is no raising, no healing springs, its over.” Aj said as he looked at her. She reached up and wiped his tears from his cheeks. His eyes locked on hers and they stared at each other for a minute. As her hand gently slid down the side of his neck, she leaned up and kissed him. At first the kiss was slow and soft but the longer they stood there, the longer they kissed, the more passionate it became. He felt her fingers drift down the side of his neck and down his chest. Gradually they pulled away, their eyes opening and locking on each others.



Gently he reached down and picked her up in his arms. Rayne lightly smiled at him as she leaned in and kissed him again. Carefully he walked them over to her bed and then laid them down. When he felt her lips drift from his mouth, to his jaw bone, and down his neck he lightly smiled. Then Aj reached up and pulled on the rope that held the one curtain back and the heavy, thick drape fell closed.
Chapter 11 by VeeLynn
The Guardian Crusade

Volume I



Chapter 11



Kevin looked at himself in the mirror and nodded in approval over the way he looked. He was starting to get use to these clothes. The style was simple, but the colours the people wore made up for it. The other guys were busy getting ready for breakfast. He looked to his left when Brian came out of the bathroom. Brian still wasn’t talking to him; pretty pissed he was alright with Aj staying, with Nick staying. Truth be told he wasn’t, he didn’t want to leave them here. But it’s what the two of them wanted, and he can see how much they were starting to care about this place. Taking a deep breath he headed over to the door and opened it.



“Where ya going?” Nick asked as he sat up on his bed.



“Need to talk to Aj.” Kevin said as he looked back. “I’ll meet ya’ll for breakfast.” Kevin said as he walked out of the room. He closed the door behind him and walked across the hallway to Aj’s bedroom door. With his knuckles he tapped on the door and waited. He looked at the design on the bedroom door as he waited for Aj too answer. After a minute when he didn’t come to the door, Kevin knocked again. Leaning in close to the large wooden door he listened but couldn’t hear anything.



“Hmm.” He said as he stepped back. Kevin turned around and headed down the hallway. He walked passed the staircase and up to Rayne’s door. Raising his hand he went to knock on the door but stopped. Maybe they weren’t there; maybe they were still in the springs. Deciding he should check here just in case before walking all the way down to the Healing Springs, he knocked on her door.



This time he heard something or someone make there way to the door. He heard the lock click and the door jerked a little as it opened. When the door opened it surprise him a little to see Rayne standing on the other side.



“Hello.” She said with a bright smile.



“Hi, someone must be feeling better.” Kevin said with a light laugh.



“Yes I am.” She said as she stepped away and let him in. “Are you here to see Alex?” she asked as she closed the door.



“He’s here?” Kevin asked.



“Yes.” She said with a light nod. Just then Aj walked out of her bathroom, his hair was wet but he was wearing a fresh clean robe.



“Hey.” Aj said as he stopped walking when he saw Kevin.



“Hi.” Kevin said and he couldn’t help but laugh a little.



“What did you need?” Aj asked as he walked over to him.



“Actually I came to see Rayne.” Kevin said turning and looking at her.



“Oh?” Rayne said a little confused.



“Yeah.” Kevin said as he reached into his pocket. “You’re Mom, or that thing or whatever it is locked me in your room.” He told her as she walked up to him beside Aj. “I found this on your dresser.”



He pulled the necklace he had found from his pocket and opened his hand in front of her. She looked down at Kevin’s hand and saw the sliver necklace and dark stone. With a little bit of hesitance Rayne took the necklace from Kevin.



“What is it?” Aj asked her as she looked up at him.



“My Father gave it to me on my eighteenth birthday.” She said as she stared at it. “Thank you.”



“No problem.” Kevin said with a light grin. “Are you guys ready for breakfast?”



“Yeah.” Aj said with a nod as Rayne walked over to her dresser and put the necklace away. Kevin followed Aj over to the door and waited as he opened it.



“So how did the talk go with Brian?” Aj asked as the two walked outside into the hallway.



“He’s not talking to me.” Kevin said with a light sigh. “He’s pretty pissed I’m not going to drag both you and Nick home.”



“I’m sorry.” Aj said as he looked at Rayne as she closed the door.



“Don’t worry about it man, he’ll come around.” Kevin said as he put his hand on Aj’s shoulder. Aj lightly smiled at him as Rayne walked over to the two of them.



“Ready?” She asked as Aj took her hand.



“Starving.” Aj said with a sigh. Kevin started laughing a little as the three of them walked down the hall and down the stairs, meeting up with everyone else outside the dinning room doors.











Halian sat at her desk; she stared at a map of Pixcadia. Her patience was finally growing thin, especially now. She could feel the Guardians were getting closer, stronger, the more time they spent together the more powers and strength they got. Tapping her fingers along her desk she stared at Winnol, stared at the dot that wouldn’t move. With a frustrated yell she let out all the tension with one yell as she sent everything on her desk flying off.



She hadn’t counted on the druids and the mages coming up with a spell to block her from entering the city. She had no way of getting Dyn back without fully invading. Sighing as she sat down she looked at the mess around her desk. When her door opened she looked up and saw Rem walking in.



“You wanted to see me M’lady?” He asked as he stopped at the doorway. Slowly she got up as Rem looked around at the mess on the floor by her desk. “Are you alright?” he asked.



“I am fine.” She said as she walked away from her desk. “Are the men ready?”



“Yes M’lady.” Rem nodded.



“Then have them prepare we set out for Winnol tonight and will attack them while they sleep.” The Mage said as she walked towards the door.



“Tonight?” Rem asked as he followed her.



“The Guardians are growing stronger, they are getting closer and I can not waste anymore time, we need to attack when they are weak.” She said as she turned and looked at him.



Rem nodded and then hurried down the hall, gone to prepare the army for war. Halian walked down the hallway of her Palace the damage from the Orc still apparent. She stopped when she reached the new clean spot in the rug. It was annoying the feelings of her human form creeping up in her every time she looked at the Druid. Her mind flashed back to her walking down the hall, the sword in her hand, her pulling it back and sending it forward. Then out of no where Rayne jumping in front of her and she heard the gasp from her daughters lips, the look in her eyes when she saw what her mother had done to her.



“No.” Halian said as she pushed the memories away. “She is not your daughter, you feel nothing for her.” With a deep breath she stepped over the spot and continued down the hallway.



“Your Majesty!” A man shouted as she walked down the stairs. She stopped and looked at the guard coming at her with an Elvaan. “Winnol Spy M’lady.” The guard said.



“Well well.” Halian said with a smile. She walked up to the Elvaan and he didn’t look at her. “He will not talk; he is no use to us.” She sighed. “Elvaan spies are known for their lack of tongue when captured.”



“What shall we do with him?” The guard asked.



“Kill him.” She said as she turned around and started walking towards the back of the Palace entrance. “Wait!” She said spinning around. The guard stopped and looked at her confused. “Take him to my War Room.” She told the guard. “He could be very useful after all.” She said a smile crept across her face.











Rayne walked down the dirty tunnel that whined its way under the castle. She could hear the shouts of the criminals echo through the walls. It didn’t bother her, she was use too it. Although being down in the jails was creepy. They were dirty and damp and there were weird noises echoing not made by man.



No one knew she was down here. Alex was out with his friends and told him she was going to take a nap. Considering what she had been through he was more than happy to let her sleep. She hated lying to him but she knew he wouldn’t let her talk to Dyn and she needed to try.



When she came to the cells she started looking in the small barred windows on the doors. Dirty, skinny angry men looked back at her. It made her a little nervous they way they looked at her, having not seen a woman in who knows how long. Soon the cat calls started but she ignored them. When she saw a guard sitting in a chair outside of a cell door, she knew that had to be Dyn’s cell door.



“M’lady?” The guard said when he saw her. He bowed to her but was a little confused on why she was down there.



“I wish to speak with Dyn alone please.” She spoke in a stern tone.



“Does King Alexander know?” The man asked. She looked at him, her eyes staring at him.

“I do not need King Alexander’s permission, this man is in an alliance with the Army that took over Sarila and killed my Father, and if I wish to speak to him I need no ones permission.”



“Yes M’lady.” The man said with a quick bow. He walked down the hall and around the corner. When Rayne was sure he was gone she peered into the cell. She saw Dyn sitting in the corner his legs against his chest and his head resting on his knees.



“Dyn?” She said as she looked at him. His head quickly snapped up and he slowly stood up.



“You are doing better?” Dyn asked and she saw the concern in his eyes.



“Yes.” She said with a nod.



“I am glad to hear it.” He said as he walked up to the door. She looked at him, at her old friend; she had traveled around Pixcadia with him and Nalia.



“Did you know about Alexander?” She asked.



“Yes.” He said and she heard the distaste in his tone. “Father told me that I had a brother, one he had to protect so he sent him away. He told me that if he was here when Alexander was to be brought back, Alexander would get the throne. If Marsa was dead and I was King, he told me to surrender my crown to him.”



“He told you why?” Rayne asked.



“Because Alexander was a Guardian, a Guardian of Pixcadia.” He said rolling his eyes.



“Did you know about me?” She asked. He looked up at her and then looked down.



“Father never said who the others were, but I figured it out on my own.” Dyn said.



“Why did you side with that Evil Dyn?” Rayne asked as she frowned a little.



“My Father was the true Evil.” Dyn said to her with anger.



“Your Father was a kind, wonderful man.” Rayne said too him.



“Silence!” He shouted at her as he banged on the door. She jumped at the sound as it scared her and she looked at him stunned. His face fell when he realized he had shouted at her. “Rayne, I am sorry.” He said as he stepped closer to the door but she stepped away from it.



“Avit was right; you are truly blinded by the hatred you carry for your Father, I thought your distrust for him was because of Pomic, because of the danger you felt in them going.” Rayne said as he looked at her.



“And I was right was I not! He sent them to their death.” He quickly snapped. “You remember that night? When I told you about Pomic, how I felt about it, that I was going to go with them and then I told you how I felt. I still love you.” He said too her. Rayne looked at him and then to his shock, started laughing. “I would not laugh.” He hissed as he moved closer to the window. “As I remember you confessed something to me.”



“You do not love me Dyn.” She said as she shook her head. “And I did not love you, I see now what love really is, I understand what love is now, no Dyn it was nothing more than a crush. A crush on a man who showed me compassion when no one else would.”



“And he does?” Dyn asked.



“He wants to protect me, keep me safe, you have aligned yourself with two people who wish me dead, and one who almost succeeded.” Rayne said to him as her tone became angry.



“I am sure your Mother did not..” Rayne cut him off.



“She is not my Mother, my Mother is dead, she died in Pomic.” Rayne said to him angrily.



“Rayne?” She heard Aj say and she quickly looked to her left. She looked at him a little shocked and then saw the guard standing next too him. “Everything ok?” He asked as he raised an eyebrow.



“Yes.” Rayne said as she looked at Dyn. “I am done here.” She didn’t give him another glance as she looked away and walked over to Aj.



“I thought you were taking a nap?” He asked as they started to walk down the jail tunnel.



“I am sorry I lied but I wanted to talk to him alone.” She said as she looked at him.



“Did he tell you anything?” Aj asked.



“Nothing new.” She said as she looked away.



“You sounded pretty mad back there, did he say something to upset you?” He asked as his arm slowly slipped behind her waist. She looked up at him, the memory of the night before flashed in her mind and she lightly smile.



“No.” She said as she wrapped her arm behind him. “I think Avit is right, his hatred for Marsa has changed him.”



“I’m sorry.” Aj said as he looked down at her. She stopped walking and looked up at him.



“For what?” She asked.



“He was a friend, and now he’s not, he’s become an ass.” Aj said as they walked up the steps. She lightly laughed and smiled as she opened the door. As they walked out of the jail entrance they saw someone heading to the door. His gaze was stern and locked on the jail doors. He wore all black; his hair was black and tied back tightly.



“Sir.” The Elvaan said with a nod as he reached for the door handle.



“Hello.” Aj said with a nod. He watched the man walk behind the door and it closed over him. He then turned and looked at Rayne. “Those Spies are weird.” Aj said as he quickly looked back at the door.



“They are trained to do a job, and they do it very well.” Rayne said as she took his hand.



“They still creep me out with how quiet and stern they are, do they ever party or anything?” Aj asked. Rayne smiled as she lead him up the steps.



“Where are the guys?” She asked as she stopped at the top of the stairs.



“Around somewhere.” Aj said with a shrug. “Came to check on you, but I got stopped in the entrance by the guard.” Aj said to her with a light smile.



“That guard.” Rayne said in a little huff.



“You shouldn’t have been down there by yourself.” Aj said too her as she looked at him.



“I can take care of myself Alex.” She said with a little hint of defensiveness.



“I know but I still worry.” He said with a sigh. “And I don’t want to have to worry about you not taking a nap when you said you would be.”



“I know I am sorry.” She said as he pulled her against him. He lightly kissed her on the side of her head, near the temple.



Hey!” Someone shouted at them from the bottom of the stairs. They turned and looked, seeing Nick, Nalia, and the guys standing in the entrance way.



“We’re going for a trip on the Gryphon’s you guys want to come?” Brian asked. Aj and Rayne pulled away and looked at each other.



“You up for it?” Aj asked.



“Sure.” She said with a smile.



Just as the words left her lips and thunderous crash was heard, and it made them drop to the ground out of instinct. Aj looked down the stairs as he slowly got up. He couldn’t believe what he was seeing; Dyn had escaped and was throwing out spell after spell at the guards that ran at him.



“Dyn!!” He heard Rayne shout and he looked to his right. She was now on her feet staring at the Elvaan. Aj looked back at Dyn and saw the man staring up at them. “What are you doing?” She yelled at him.



“M’lady has come for me.” He said as Aj looked down by his feet and saw the guys slowly getting up. “But first I have come for something that is mine.” Dyn said as an evil grin came across his face. Aj followed his stare and it lead right too Rayne. The anger and rage over came him and he looked at Dyn as the Elvaan stepped closer to the stairs.



“Try it.” Aj said as he stepped in front of Rayne.



“Gladly.” Dyn said with another sadistic grin, and then he flew up the stairs, actually flew up the stairs, and it took Aj off guard. Both men went flying back to the ground. Aj felt himself roll over and he quickly jumped up to his feet. He sent an Ice Bolt right at Dyn, but Dyn had sent one at him and the two bolts smashed together in an icicle explosion.



“Screw this.” Aj said as he reached out for Dyn, grabbing him by the robe and punched him in the face. Dyn stumbled back as he grabbed his nose. Slowly Dyn looked up at Aj, his nose had started bleeding and he looked even more pissed off. With a loud growl Dyn charged at Aj again and both men slammed into the wall. Aj’s head smacked of wooden branches, and he grunted in pain. With everything he had, he broke his arm away from Dyn, but the Elvaan was to quick and spun Aj around, slamming his face into the wall. Dyn pulled him back and slammed him into the wall again.



He heard a yell when he felt Dyn let go of him and he fell to the floor. The room was spinning and he was trying to stand up but every time he did the room would spin faster. As he heard another scream he looked up and forced his eyes to focus. What he saw gave him more than enough strength to get up.



Dyn was running down the hallway towards the back staircase, practically dragging Rayne behind him. He took a step and stumbled a bit and reached out to stop himself from falling but someone caught him.



“Easy man.” He heard Kevin say. Aj pushed Kevin off and headed down the hallway. Dyn and Rayne had disappeared from his view now and he started to run faster towards the stairwell doorway. He blew through the door sending it slamming back against the wall.



“Alex!!” He heard her shout and he quickly looked down the stairs. There were no banisters and he could see right down to every step, they were almost at the bottom. Quickly he closed his eyes and in a flash he was at the bottom of the stairs as the door to the harbor closed. Aj ripped it open and saw Rayne and Dyn running down the dock towards Winnol’s master ship.



Aj ran hard and fast as he jumped across the open water so he could reach the next deck quicker. They ran up the plank onto the ship and Aj watched as Dyn kicked the plank off the boat. It didn’t matter Aj could easily teleport onto the ship and he did just that, stopping right in front of Rayne and Dyn as Dyn untied the ship. When he looked at Rayne he could tell she was silenced with a spell. Aj’s rage grew even more intense when Dyn threw Rayne to the floor of the ship.



“I will have time for her later.” Dyn said as he looked from Rayne to Aj.



The two stared at each other for a moment and then like they knew what the other would do, they both sent out ice bolts, both getting slammed with the others spell. Aj was sent flying against the deck railing as Dyn went crashing back against the sail tie. The giant sails opened up as they caught the wind, the ship jerked a little as the wind caught the sails pushing the boat forward.



Slowly Aj stood up and he rubbed the back of his head. He could hear the guys shouting and as he looked around he realized the boat was moving. As he looked back around he saw Dyn right in front of him. The Elvaan grabbed Aj by his robe and head butted him in the face. Aj moaned in pain trying to reach for his face but Dyn blocked him from moving at all. His head pounded and he could barely hold himself up after the smack against the ship railing.



“Dyn stop!” Rayne shouted as she grabbed for his arm. Dyn pushed Rayne off of him and she fell down to the deck. With one hard push Dyn let go of Aj, he flipped over the railing and went crashing into the water.



“Alex!!” Rayne shouted as she scrambled to her feet and dove at the railing edge. She looked down and saw Aj floating in the water. She screamed at him again when she saw him laying face down in the water. Reaching up she grabbed the railing readying herself to jump, when two arms grabbed her from behind. “Put me down!” she shouted as she squirmed, trying to break away.



“I know you still love me Rayne.” Dyn said a she struggled with him. “I know you want to be with me.” He said as he kicked opened the door to the Royal Chambers. “He’s just poisoned you; they all poisoned you against me.”



“Let me go Dyn!” Rayne shouted again as she fought with him. She let her nature spell rip through him and they both went flying back. Quickly she looked up and saw Dyn lying against the dresser. She scrambled to her feet and ran for the door but Dyn reached out and grabbed her ankle sending her crashing down to the floor. Rayne cried out in pain as she hit the floor hard.



Trying to get to her feet again, she was pulled down by her ankle as Dyn dragged her closer to him. She felt two hands wrap around her arms and spun her over, pinning her to the ground. Rayne looked up in panic as she saw Dyn holding her down. Some how she got her leg up and kicked him back but Dyn snagged a piece of her robe and it ripped along the seam.



“Get off me!!” She screamed as she was able to reach up and grab a hold of his robe. Slowly she pushed him back, the fright and adrenaline rushing through her. She was about to cast another nature spell but Dyn pushed on her hard and slammed her back against the ground. Her head smacked the floor and for a moment she gave up, her body went limp and she cried.



“Remember when I told you how I felt remember when I kissed you.” He whispered to her as she cried out and started fighting him again. Rayne pushed against his chest, she tried to kick her legs up, as Dyn kissed her. She screamed and then bit him on the lip hard. He let go quickly and shouted in pain as he rolled off her. Rayne scrambled away, crawled on her hands and knees to the door.



A loud crashing sound made her fall to the floor again as she covered her head, pieces of wood falling down around her. Terrified she quickly rolled over and looked up as she realized the ceiling was gone. Her heart began to race, her breath taken away as she saw a large funnel of water peering down on them. Then to her amazement she saw two giant arms as the funnel reached into the room. The swirling water formed into an arm, hand, and fingers. The fingers wrapped around Dyn and pulled him out of the room. She could hear Dyn scream as he was pulled down into the water with the funnel.



Rayne sat there stunned, not sure what she had just scene. She looked around the room still worried Dyn was going to come out from the water at her. A hand touched her shoulder and she sent off a nature spell as she scrambled away from the door. The yell of pain that was heard was not Dyn and she turned around still on the floor.









“Rayne.” Aj said as he leaned against the doorway. He didn’t know that spell packed such a punch. As he shook the spell off and looked at her, he saw her sitting on the ground. Her curly hair was a tangled mess, her eyes were soaked in tears, and her robe was ripped. It hit him that it was more than his Elemental that freaked her out. “Rayne what happened?” He said not wanting to know the answer.



“I went to go after you.” She said her voice jumpy as her body shook a little. “He grabbed me and carried me in here. I..” She stopped as another wave of fright came over her. “I tried to get away but he grabbed my ankle and pulled me down.” She said as she cried. “He pinned me down on the ground by my arms and I kept trying to get away.” She said as Aj looked at her, his heart was racing; he didn’t like what he was hearing at all. “Then he kissed me.” When she said those words he regretted having the Elemental pull Dyn under the water. “And then I bit him.”



“You bit him?” Aj said and he almost wanted to smile.



“That’s when I was able to get to the door.” She said as she slowly pointed to the door. “And then the ceiling was gone.” She said as she looked up. “Alex what was that thing?” She asked him. He was about to answer when there was a squawk from above them. They both looked up and saw two Gryphon’s coming up on the ship.



“That must be Avit.” Aj said as he looked down at her. “Stay here, I’ll be right back ok?” Aj said too her. She lightly nodded as he stood up and walked over to the broken door. He saw the Gryphon’s land on the deck and Avit jump down from his as Aj walked up to him.



“Where is he?” Avit asked as he walked up to Aj.



“In the water.” Aj said.



“And Princess Rayne?” He asked.



“She’s in there, he tried too..” Aj stopped he didn’t want to say it.



“Is she alright?” Avit asked as he put his hand on Aj’s shoulder.



“She’s pretty shaken up.” Aj said looking back at the broken doorway.



“Another Tohil spell Sir?” Avit asked as he looked at the cabin with the roof ripped off. The ship was just floating around; the stirring wheel and the upper deck were taken with the ceiling of the bedroom.



“Not exactly.” Aj said as he looked at the damage he had caused. He looked at Avit and the General had a confused look on his face. “I’ll explain later.” Aj said. He then walked over to the Royal Chamber doors and walked into the room. Rayne was sitting on floor still but he notice she had stopped shaking.



“Are you ready?” He asked her as he held out his hand. She lightly nodded as she gently took his hand. He wrapped it around his neck and scooped her up in his arms. Aj relaxed a little when she rested her head on his shoulder as he walked past Avit and through the door.



“Avit will you take her.” Aj said as he turned to the Elvaan.



“No.” Rayne said as she pulled her head away. “I want to ride with you.”



“Can you manage?” Avit asked. Aj’s riding skills weren’t the greatest but he just wanted to get her back to Winnol.



“Yeah I’ll be fine.” Aj said as Avit nodded at him.



“Then take mine, I will ride with Harls.” Avit said nodding to his second in command.



The Gryphon knelt down lowering itself to let it’s riders on. Aj lifted Rayne up onto the seat and she grabbed hold of the harness. He then jumped up and sat behind her. The Gryphon stood up and got its bearings. Aj looked to his right and saw Avit and Harls on the other Gryphon.



“Ready?” He asked and she nodded. He lightly kicked the bird and it spread its wings. It took a couple of steps and then leaped into the air. They flew over the ocean and he didn’t realize how far out the ship had sailed. Carefully he turned around; a gust of wind blew the sails open and the ship cut through the water headed towards Sarila. Aj looked at Avit as he turned around, the General nodded at him.



“Do you need to go to the springs?” Aj asked Rayne looking at her as they approached the Castle.



“No.” She said shaking her head. Aj directed his Gryphon to the Gryphon tower as Avit followed behind him. As he landed the giant bird he saw the guys waiting for them. The Gryphon landed as Avit brought his bird down. Aj jumped down and reached up for Rayne and helped her down as one of the caretakers took the Gryphon’s reigns. He went to pick her up but she stopped him.



“I can walk.” She said to him as she placed her hand on his arm.



“Are you sure?” He asked. She lightly nodded as she wrapped her arm around his.



“What happened? Are you alright?” Nalia asked Rayne as everyone walked up to them.



“Yes, I am fine; I just need to lie down.” She said as her and Aj started walking.



“Where’s Dyn?” Kevin asked when he noticed they came back without him.



“Some where at the bottom of the ocean.” Aj said as he walked up to the doors. Aj tried to field questions from everyone as they walked down the tower stairs but he was too busy worrying about Rayne. Aj reached for the door and everyone walked out to the city. He noticed her grip on him had gotten tighter as they walked through the crowed of people. Everyone stopping and staring at her, seeing what kind of condition the Princess was in and wondering what happened to make her look that way. Avit, Nalia, and the guys followed them into the Castle and up the stairs. Aj walked Rayne over to her bedroom door and they stopped in front of them.



“I’m going to go talk to Avit; I’ll be there in a minute.” He said as he took her hands.



“Alright.” She said with a light smile. He watched as she opened her door and walked into her room. Aj stood there for a minute, staring at her door. The image of her lying on the floor, how scared she was made him boil with anger. With a deep breath he turned around and walked over to his friends.



“What’s up dude.” Nick said as he saw the look on Aj’s face.



“Avit.” Aj said sternly as he stopped in front of everyone. “Get the army ready and find out how Dyn escaped. Nick I want you and Nalia to go to Tokia, is Rossi still ready?” Aj asked looking at Nick.



“Yeah, he’s busting at the seams.” Nick said with light smile.



“Good, tell him to set sail now we’ll meet in the middle at Drisel.” Aj said as Nick nodded and Nalia and him took off to the globe room to Tokia.



“We’re going to war aren’t we?” Brian asked looking at Aj.



“Fucking right we are.” Aj said as he turned around and headed to Rayne’s room.



He stopped at the door with his hand on the knob and took a deep breath, calming himself, and then he turned the knob and walked into the room. As he closed the door behind him, he looked around the room. The curtains to her bed were pulled back and there was no one on the bed. He walked across the room and over to her bathroom door. It was opened a little bit and he heard the light splashing of water. He stepped away from the door and turned to walk to the couch when he heard her ask for him.



“Is that you?” She said as he walked back up to the door.



“Yeah.” Aj said and he heard her get out of the tub. He stepped back from the door and gave her a minute. When she came out she was wrapped in her night robe. She walked right over to him and wrapped her arms behind him, laying her head against his chest. He put his arms around her, his fingers gently tangling in her hair. Her arms wrapped tighter around him when she started crying.



“He was my friend.” She quietly spoke. “How could he..” she didn’t finished the sentence.



“I don’t know.” Aj said as he looked down at her. “But you don’t have to worry about him anymore.” He said as he gently brushed a piece of her hair behind her ear.



“Are you ok?” She asked as she pulled away a little. “I did not know it was you.”



“I know its ok, didn’t hurt that bad.” Aj said remembering.



“What was that thing?” She asked as he wiped her tears from her cheeks.



“Did your Mom ever tell you the story about the Mage who summoned a Water Elemental?” Aj asked. She slowly pulled away and looked at him, she realized now that is what she saw.



“Mother said it was just a fable.” Rayne said looking at him.



“Nope.” Aj said as he sat down on the edge of the bed.



“How did you get onto the ship?” She asked.



“I woke up when I started sucking water.” He said with a light laugh. “I conjured the Elemental to find you, and then I teleported onto the ship.”



“How did you know what to do?” She asked.



“Your Mom.” Aj said. “That book you gave me. I was reading it one night and I saw a little sparkle on the back, I touched it and it opened a pocket.” Aj said to her as she walked over to him and sat down. “In the pocket were notes she had written on what she thought about the Elemental.”



“Really?” Rayne said shocked and Aj nodded at her.



“She really believed a Mage could conjure it but she felt it had to be a special type of Mage.” Aj said as he watched Rayne scan the words on the paper.



“The Guardian.” Rayne said looking up at him.



“That’s what I figured, but since the last guy kind of disappeared after he summoned his, I didn’t want to try unless I had too.” Aj said as he reached up and brushed his hand down the back of her head, down her hair, and down her back. She lightly smiled at him as he took her hand.



“Why don’t you take a nap while I go talk to Avit.” Aj said as he nodded to her pillow.



“Talk?” She said as she looked at him.



“I’m getting the Army ready, Nick has gone to get Rossi and his Army and we’re going to end this tonight.” Aj said as he stood up. “So, we need you to rest up and be ready.”



“Well I should be there to plan.” Rayne said standing up.



“I can fill you in.” Aj said as he placed his hands on her arms and she flinched in pain. He quickly pulled his hands away and looked at her shocked. They looked at each other but they didn’t say anything. “Do not let me sleep to long.” She said after moment.



“I won’t, I’ll come get you as soon as we figure out the full plan.” Aj said with a light smile.









The Mage sat at her desk in her chambers on the ship. She stared at the map as the boat gently rocked side to side. She had fifty ships, a hundred men on those ships, and she smiled as she magically marked where they were on the map. Closer and closer they got to Winnol. Her lips rested against her fingers as she held her hands in front of her, and looked up at her door when she heard the shouts of the men outside. As on cue someone knocked at the door. With a sigh she stood and fixed her robe.



“Come in.” She said as she quickly waved her hand over the map. These people hadn’t seen that kind of magic, no need confusing them on where a Mage learned a new spell.



“You might want to come out here your majesty.” Rem said as he stood at the door. She looked at him confused. The Mage walked around the desk and over to the door. As Rem stepped away she walked out onto the deck and saw a bunch of men leaning over the railing. As she started to walk over to them, all of them stood up and pulled something over the railing. They stepped away and the Mage stopped dead when she saw Dyn laying there, dead.



“Looks like he drowned M’lady.” One of the guards said.



“How?” She asked looking to Rem. “He’s not suppose to be this far yet?” She looked around out to the ocean as the anger began to hit. Were they out here, was this a message? Quickly she ran up the stairs beside the door to her chambers up onto the upper deck where the Captain was.



“Ship!!” Yelled a man from above them and she looked up to the steep of the ship. The man standing in the bucket pointed west and the Mage quickly looked. It was a little ways out but she could still make the ship out but there wasn’t something right about it.



“It’s not sailing.” Rem said as he walked up beside her.



“Stop. Stop stop stop stop!” She shouted as she looked at her Captain. The man quickly shouted in fright for his crew to close the sails and to signal the other ships to do so.



“I will take a crew and a boat and row out to the closes ship to it.” Rem said. The Mage said nothing as she stared at the ship. She tilted her head a little as she saw the weird shape of the upper deck. Her eyes squinted as she tried to get a better look. With a breath she closed her eyes and in a flash she was on the broken ship.



She looked around, ropes were swinging lightly beside her, and she put her hand on one as she walked over to where the Royal Chambers were. The Mage walked through the broken doorway and looked around the room.



“What happened here?” She asked as she brought her hands together. They started to glow and when she heard a rush of wind in her ears she quickly opened her eyes. She looked around, still on the ship, but in the past.



“Dyn stop!!” She heard Rayne yell and she spun around as she saw Rayne fall to the ground. When she heard another shout she looked at Dyn and saw Alexander go over the railing. Rayne yelled as she crawled to her feet and ran to where Dyn was. She watched as Rayne tried to jump the railing but Dyn stopped her.



Dyn walked passed her, carrying Rayne talking about her loving him as he kicked opened the door to the Royal Chambers. The Mage followed and stopped at the door. She watched as Rayne conjured a nature spell against Dyn, she watched Rayne scramble to get up and watched as Dyn pulled her back. Halian clenched her fists when she saw Dyn over top of Rayne as she fought him screaming at him.



“You fool, I give you freedom and this is what you do?” She said as she watched him lean in and kissed Rayne. She jumped back when Dyn shouted in pain as Rayne bit his lip. Rayne scrambled to her feet and headed to the door. Then the loud snapping sound of wood being broken made the Mage look up, calmly knowing she could not be hurt with this spell. Her eyes went wide when she saw the Elemental.



“Oh Alexander.” She said with a smile of adoration. She watched as the funnel reached in for Dyn and pulled him out. As she looked away she was back in the present, on the ship as Rem and his crew climb onto the boat.



“What did this?” Rem asked still unsure.



“Alexander.” The Mage said.



“What? How?” Rem said stunned.



“It doesn’t matter because we have a bigger problem. Alexander is a full strength and thanks to Dyn extremely mad.” The Mage said waving her hand. “Just tell everyone to be on the look out for Winnol’s army and…and an elemental.”



“M’lady?” Rem asked confused.



“You heard me.” She said looking at him.



“Of course your majesty.” Rem said with a nervous nod. She watched as Rem walked over to his crew and then she turned around, looking at the wreckage one more time.
Chapter 12 by VeeLynn
The Guardian Crusade

Volume I



Chapter 12



Aj quietly closed the door as he walked into Rayne’s room. He walked over to her bed and stopped when he heard a soft mumble. Slipping his hand between the two curtains he pulled the one back and looked in. Rayne was under the covers and she was tossing in her sleep. A worried look on her face, her head turned to the left and then back to the right. He tied the curtain back and sat down on the edge of her bed. Carefully he took her hand and gently shook her with the other.



“Rayne?” He said as he shook her again, a little hesitant not wanting her to hit him with another nature spell. Her eyes shot open as she jolted from her sleep and sat up quickly against the back of her bed. “It’s ok.” Aj said as he held onto her hand. She looked at him confused as she tried to catch her breath. He scooted closer to her as his right hand drifted up to the side of her neck.



“I am alright now.” Rayne said as his thumb drifted across her jawbone. Aj lightly smiled as he leaned in and kissed her.



“We’re getting ready to go.” Aj said as they pulled away from each other.



“What is the plan?” She asked as she took his hand.



“Nick, Nalia, and Howie are going with Rossi, they’re already there. His army will head out and we’ll meet in Drisel.” Aj told her. “Kevin, Brian, You and I will leave from here, when the ships set sail, the Gryphon Riders are going to fly ahead and keep watch. When we get close they’re going to go west of Drisel and fly up too Rossi.” Aj explained to her.



As Aj explained to her more of the plan, she crawled out of bed and walked over to her dresser. She pulled out a long blue robe with silver thread and ribbon crisscrossing around it. Aj looked at her, her back to him, she pulled her night robe off and for the first time he saw exactly why she flinched early in the day. There were bruises on her arms and Aj could tell they were hand marks from Dyn holding her down. He stopped talking, looking away as he clenched his fist, angry at himself he didn’t get there sooner, angry that he fell of the ship leaving her alone in the first place.



“Alex?” She said and he looked up at her. She was dressed in the new robe and she looked at him confused.



“He did that to you.” Aj said looking at her. Rayne was confused at first but then she realized what he was talking about.



“They will go away.” She said as she sat down beside him.



“Yeah but what he tried to do.” Aj said looking at her. “I don’t want to see you sad, or crying, or hurting anymore. We’re going to fight the Mage, we’re going to win, and then you and Nalia will be able to go home.” He said as she tangled her fingers around his.



“Or the Mage walks right over us and we all die.” She said as she looked at him. He stared at her for a moment and then rolled his eyes.



“You’re not allowed hanging out with Nick anymore.” Aj said as she started to laugh, he looked at her and it felt like a huge weight had been lifted off his shoulders as he watched her laugh. It was contagious and soon Aj was laughing too. Someone knock at the door and Aj stood up and walked over to answer it.



“Avit.” Aj said when he saw his General standing at the door.



“We are ready Sir.” Avit said with a nod. Aj turned and looked at Rayne as she walked up to him.



“You have everything.” He asked. She stopped and thought about it, then turned around and walked over to her dresser, pulling out the necklace Kevin had saved from the Castle, putting it over her neck.



“Alright.” She said as she tucked the necklace in and walked up to them at the door.



“Kevin and Brian at the harbor?” Aj asked as the three of them walked down the hallway.



“Yes.” Avit said with a nod. “They are on the Lead ship.”



As they walked down the steps of the back staircase, a trip Aj and Rayne had taken earlier in the day with Dyn, Aj wrapped his hand around hers. They walked out of the stairwell and into the large giant cave. Aj was a little taken back as ships sailed in one side of the cave, filled up with men, and then sailed out, stopping just outside, waiting until all the ships were ready. They walked down a long deck beside a giant ship and Aj looked up as the men in the small windows ran back and forth preparing the cannon’s for a fight.



He felt his heart begin to race. It was hard to believe he started all this, called for all these men to go to war. He was asking them to go war, he was asking them to fight, he was asking them to possibly die, and they went, they fought, they died because he said so. They walked down the dock towards the plank that allowed them to walk up to the tall large ship. People were running around pulling on the ropes and shouting to one another.



Aj followed Avit into the chambers of the ship; Brian and Kevin were sitting on chairs by the desk. The room was different than the Master ship, no bed, no personal quarters only the desk, chairs, and two small bunks on the side of the cabin wall. Aj could tell this ship was meant for fighting. He looked down to Brian and Kevin and was a little surprised to see they were fighting with each other, in a whisper, but Kevin’s face was beat red, and Aj new what that meant.



“Are the gryphon’s ready?” He asked as Avit and Rayne walked over to the desk. He ignored the fight that had ended between the two cousins, for now.



“Yes.” Avit nodded. “When they see the sails of the ships they will take flight from the tower.”



“How long till we set sail?” Rayne asked.



“As soon as I get word from Harls.” Avit said with a nod. “I need to talk with the Captain I will return when we set off.”



“Ok.” Aj nodded as Avit walked around the desk and left the room. He looked over to Rayne who was looking over the map on the desk.



“Brian zip it now.” Aj heard Kevin whisper and he turned around, eyeing the two cousins as they sat in their chairs.



“What’s up?” Aj asked as he leaned against the desk.



“Nothing.” Kevin said looking to Aj and then to Brian but Aj knew what they were fighting about.



“Look dude I told you I’m not going back, ok?” Aj said as he looked at Brian.



“I just don’t understand why you need to stay?” Brain said to him. “I get the whole war thing, I want to help them too, and I am but why do you need to stay?” Aj was about to answer when Avit opened the door and walked in. He was followed by his Second in Command Harls and the two of them walked right up too Aj.



“We are ready sir.” Avit said with a light bow. Aj took a deep breath pushing Brian out of his head and nodded.



“Good, Nick and Rossi should be sailing right now.” Aj said with a light nod. Avit and Harls bowed and then walked out of the room. He sat against the desk as he heard Avit shout to the Captain and then heard the Captain shout to another Captain on another ship. It was muffled but the ceiling above them; the floor below the Captain upstairs was thin enough for shouts to leak through. Then he braced himself as the ship rocked and jerked a little as it began to sail out of the harbor.



“So this is it.” Kevin said standing up.



“Yep.” Aj said with a nod.



“What do we need to do?” Kevin asked.



“Nothing unless you want to help the crew.” Aj said with a shrug.



“Can you answer my question?” Brian said looking to Aj.



“Dude.” Kevin said looking at his cousin.



“Because I want too.” Aj said staring at him. “Is that so hard to believe? I want to stay here, I like it here, it’s different than home and they need me here.”



“Need you? They sent you away in the first place.” Brian said with a light scoff.



“For my safety.”



“Well Rayne stayed, Nalia stayed and nothing bad happened to them.” Brian said.



“Nothing bad?” Aj said in a raised voice. “Nalia and Rayne lost their homes; they were at war when we got here.”



“And how is that your problem?” Brian said.



“Oh you gotta be fucking kidding me.” Aj said as he pushed off of the desk and walked passed Brian.



“Man were the hell have you been?” Kevin said jumping into the conversation.



“Here, I’ve been here and I’m the only one questioning why you and Nick were sent away and those two stayed but now it’s so important for you to remain here?”



“We all were supposed to be sent away.” Rayne said and everyone realized they had forgotten about her being in the room. “My Father and Nalia’s Father were against it, they thought they could protect us better if we stayed. But they were wrong, Johon still came, and he took Pomic.” Rayne said as she looked at Brian.



“You know what’s funny to me.” Kevin said and Aj looked from Rayne to him. “Say Rayne’s Father and Nalia’s Father sent them away with you guys, what would have happened to Pixcadia?”



“What do you mean?” Brian asked confused but Aj knew what he meant.



“There would have been no one here.” Aj said looking at Kevin. “We wouldn’t have been here to stop him outside of Darlawind, we wouldn’t be here to go to war. Or if they brought us all back like they did with Nick and I we would have been completely clueless, like Nick and I were.”



“But I thought this Pixca, their God told them too?” Brian said even more confused.



“She did.” Rayne said and Aj looked back at her. Her eyebrows frowned a little; he wasn’t sure if she was thinking or if she was getting angry.



“Have you ever seen this tale?” Aj asked as he turned to face her.



“No, Father said that there is only one copy of the tale she wrote for us to follow.” Rayne said as Aj felt Kevin walk up beside him.



“Where is it?” Aj asked.



She looked up at him. “Father said he was shown the tale in a dream, like the others.”



“A dream?” Kevin said.



“Pixca came to him in a dream, showed him the tale and told him what to do.” Rayne said remembering.



“Wait.” Aj said thinking. “When I first got here Marsa said something about the tale being written down, only to be read when the guardians arrive.”



“As far as we know, it was a hundred years ago but something happened to it and Pixca took it back to protect it.”



“What happened?” Brian asked. “That she needed to protect it?”



“It was..” She stopped mid sentence and her face fell with puzzlement. “It was..” She stopped again. “I do not know what happened to it.”



“So you don’t know where this tale is, you guys barely remember the tale as it is, and rely on a dream to tell you what to do?” Kevin asked.



“Well if that doesn’t reek of sabotage I don’t know what does.” Aj said looking to Kevin.



“You think the mage did something to the tale?” Kevin asked him.



“Well not the Mage but whatever evil it is, yeah.” Aj said with a nod.



“But the dreams? With Pixca?” Rayne asked confused.



“Could they be magic?” Aj asked her.



“Magic?” She asked and Aj saw this was starting to up set her. He walked up to her and took her hands.



“Let’s say this Evil did something to the tale, changed it, destroyed it, who knows.” He said as she looked up at him. “He made people forget, a hundred years is a long time.”



“But Pixca is real, she is in us, in nature, she gives us our powers she.” Aj stopped her.



“I’m not saying she’s not darlin’ but something happened, something happened to make everyone forget the real tale, and something is making them send us away so we’re not here to defend her.” Aj said.



“I think I understand.” Rayne said with a light nod. Aj looked at her and lightly smiled but she looked just as confused as before.



“Can you go check with Avit, I think the Gryphon’s should be riding ahead soon.” Aj said too her with a light smile.



“Alright.” She said with a nod and a smile, but he could tell it was forced. He watched and waited for her to walk out of the room and then he looked over to his friends.



“You wanna bitch me out for staying fine, but don’t do it in front of her.” Aj said as he pointed his finger at his band mate.



“Why she’s the reason you’re staying.” Brian mumbled as he sat down.



“I swear you got cotton in your ears or something man.” Kevin said shaking his head as he sat back down.



“So what is it Brian huh? Am I staying to help this place, or am I staying just to get laid.” Aj said angrily. “Cause if it’s the latter, I got news for ya I don’t need to be here to do that.”



“I’m saying you are in this new place, a place where you’re still pretty popular, you meet this nice sweet girl, she’s different from the other girls and you’re just not thinking.”



“Thinking? Thinking about what?” Aj yelled.



“About your Mom dumb ass!” Brian yelled back.



“I have.” Aj said to him as he looked Brian right in the eyes. “Every second, every minute, every hour, every day I am here I think about her. But I think about what she would want me to do, she would want me to be happy, if she knew how I felt about this place, she would tan my ass if I thought about going back.”



“You know she would man.” Kevin said looking at Brian.



“I need to go check with Avit.” Aj said as he stood up. “Brain I really don’t want our last days together to be fighting over why I’m staying, or the fact that I am, it’s my decision and this is what I want.”



Brian didn’t say anything and Aj knew he wouldn’t. He walked over to the door and opened it. Walking out onto the deck, it was dark, the sun had fallen behind the horizon and it was a little cool out on the water. He scanned the deck and looked for Avit. He didn’t see him but his eyes caught Rayne sitting on the bow of the ship. Slowly he turned around and looked up to the Quarter deck and saw Avit talking to the Captain. He looked back to Rayne and decided to go talk to his General before talking to her.



“Alexander the Gryphon’s have left and we will get a report in two hours sir.” Avit said with a nod.



“Ok.” Aj said nodding back to him.



“It is a good plan.” Avit said with a nod.



“Really?” Aj said a little surprised. “Never really saw myself as a King before.” Aj said half jokingly half not. “So just kind of going with it.”



“As any Elvaan would.” Avit smiled.



“Huh?” Aj said confused.



“We are carefree people, we like to be happy, and have a good time with life. We will fight when we have too, and we’re very good at it which most people do not expect.” Avit told him. “We care about our family, friends, and we are true to our word, which can be a down fall, as others are not so true to theirs.”



“Tell me about it.” Aj said with a light smile and then he sighed as his thoughts went back to Brian.



“Everything alright?” Avit asked.



“I just had an argument with one of my friends about me staying.” Aj said looking at him.



“The Preist?” Avit asked meaning Brian.



“Yeah.” Aj said with a little laugh. “If he would just accept it and look around he would see what I see, and the others see.”



“Which is sir?” Avit asked wondering if he was being to nosy.



“That I do belong here.” Aj said with a shrug. “Although picturing me as an Elvaan is a little trippy.” He said shaking his head. “How long will this spell last?”



“The one that shows your human form?” Avit asked and Aj nodded. “I am not really sure.”



“Well I hope for Nick’s sake it last forever.” Aj said laughing a little.



“I could see Prince Nickolas having some trouble adapting to his Dwarven form.” Avit said as he started laughing too. “Is it wrong I show some curiosity though?” Aj’s General asked.



“No Avit.” Aj said laughing harder.



“What’s so funny?” Kevin said from beside Aj and he turned around. Kevin and Brian were coming up the steps.



“Nick as a Drawf.” Aj said with a shrug.



“Nice.” Kevin said smiling.



“Promise me something.” Brian said and Aj looked over to him. Brian took a deep breath and rolled his eyes a little. “If that happens you’ll come back at get me, cause I owe that kid some short jokes.”



Aj lightly smiled knowing Brian was going to lay off of him. “Sure thing ya prick.” Brian laughed and shook his head a little. As Kevin started talking about what kind of beard Nick would have as a Dwarf, Aj looked over to the bow of the ship but Rayne wasn’t sitting there anymore. He started to scan around the deck when he heard the squawk of a Gryphon.



“Sarila is on their way!” The rider shouted down to Avit.



“On their way?” Aj said quickly to Avit.



“How far?!” Avit shouted back.



“Around three fields ahead!” The Rider shouted back.



“How far is that?” Brian asked.



“I think a field is a mile.” Aj said a little unsure.



“Three miles?!” Brian said knowing that wasn’t that far by ship. “We’ve barely left Winnol. Nick won’t make it here.”



“Can we get a Rider to fly to Rossi?” Aj asked.



“Yes but it would not make his fleet get here any faster.” Avit replied.



“Then we’ll stall as long as we can.” Aj told him. “That fleet will not reach Winnol.” Aj turned around as Avit shouted to his Rider to send news to Rossi and tell the other Riders to return to the ships.



“Where’re you going?” Kevin asked as Aj walked passed him.



“To find Rayne and let her know what’s going on.” Aj said as he quickly stepped down the steps. Looking around the deck again quickly he didn’t see her so he walked into the Meeting Chambers.



“There you are.” He said when he saw her leaning over the desk looking at the map. “The Riders are on their way back, the Mage’s ships are about three fields away.” She looked up at him shocked but didn’t say anything as she looked back down to the map. Her finger scanned along the page.



“What’s up?” He asked as he walked over to the front of the desk.



“That puts them there.” Rayne said pointing to a spot on the map.



“Isn’t this where the Master ship is?” Aj asked as he pointed to a spot in the middle “Or was.” He said remembering the Elemental.



“She will not be pleased if she finds Dyn.” Rayne said looking up at him.



“If she hasn’t found him already.” Aj said as she looked at him confused. “Which way does the current flow?” Rayne looked down at the map and scanned her finger over an arrow.



“North.” She said. “Towards the ships.”



“We need to stall her.” Aj said as the door to the chambers opened. They both looked towards the doors and saw Avit, Kevin and Brian walk in.



“We’ve slowed the speed of the ships and we have flanked out.” Avit said to Aj even though he wasn’t really sure what he meant.



“Have we sent word to Rossi?” Rayne asked Avit.



“The Rider is on his way.” Avit said knowing it wouldn’t be quick enough.



“I need to get on that ship.” Aj said as he looked down at the map.



“By yourself?” Kevin asked.



“I can teleport but I need to be within eyesight.” He said. “How long till they come into view?”



“I am not sure around five minutes or so.” Avit said. “Depending how fast they are sailing, they are against the wind so that is to our advantage.”



“You can not go by yourself.” Rayne said to Aj as he walked over to the door.



“I’m the only one who can get there quick enough, maybe I can stall them or throw them off as far as we known they haven’t seen us yet.” Aj said to her as they stopped at the door.



“I can take a Gryphon and meet you there.” Rayne said too him.



“And they’ll see you coming a mile away, besides I need you here with the fleet.” Aj told her. “I’ll be fine.” He turned and opened the door, walking outside onto the deck. He walked over to the bow of the ship and looked out trying to see anything. A loud boom made him look up to the sky quickly and he saw dark grey clouds circling over top of them. He looked back out to the ocean and still couldn’t see anything. Another crackling sound made him look up again and he slowly started to back away as he saw bolts of lightening scream down from the sky.



“Storm cloud!” The crew started shouting from behind him.



“She knows we’re here.” Rayne said from behind him. Aj turned around and looked at her, but something behind her caught his eye, and as he looked up at the Quarter deck his eyes went wide as he saw Dyn standing behind the Captain as the Elvaan slumped to the floor dead. As his brain processed what he saw the anger he had felt earlier returned.



“Get behind me now.” Aj said to her as he looked to her.



“Pardon?” She asked confused and she turned around. He didn’t give her time to react as he stepped in front of her and looked back to Dyn. “How did he?”



“I don’t think that’s him.” Aj said as he quickly looked back at her.



“You mean.” She looked at him and then back to Dyn.



Aj looked back to Dyn and saw Avit, Kevin and Brian standing at the bottom of the stairs looking up at Dyn. He looked up at his brother and the Elvaan was standing on the railing looking down at him with an evil sadistic smile.



“A little surprised to see me?” He asked as the guys and Avit walked over to Aj and Rayne.



“Not really, always thought you were like a cockroach.” Aj said with a shrug. He watched the puzzlement on Dyn’s face but heard the chuckles from Brian and Kevin. Dyn realized he was being mocked and this made him angry.



“That mouth is about to get you killed!” Dyn shouted as his hand shot out and an ice bolt flew at Aj sending him back into Rayne and down to the deck floor. He quickly rolled over and saw Rayne rolling over too.



“Are you alright?” He asked.



“Yes.” She said nodding as they both stood up. A smashing sound made them look back to Dyn and they saw him fighting with Avit, Harls and some guards.



“Sarila!” A man shouted and both Rayne and Aj looked up to the man standing in the crow’s nest on the main staff. They looked to where the man was pointing and saw a line of ships coming at them in the distance.



“You loose brother.” Dyn shouted at him and Aj turned around.



“Hardly I’m just getting started.” Aj said and he didn’t even move as a gust of wind blew past him and Rayne, and blast at Dyn. The Elvaan fell back off the railing and down hard to the Quarter deck. He jumped up quickly and flew over the railing and over Brian and Kevin landing in front of Aj and Rayne. Spinning around he slammed both Kevin and Brian back against the wall to the Meeting Chambers with a wind spell.



Then someone walking past him caught his eye, it was Rayne and she was headed right to Dyn. She raised her hand to him as he turned around and a beam of light came down onto him. The light gave off a thunderous boom as it struck its target.



“I see you have not forgotten how I like it.” Dyn said with an erotic smile as he slowly got up to his feet. Aj watched as Rayne conjured another Moonbeam spell the one she had used against Johon in the camp. Dyn dropped to his knee’s as he cried out in pain.



“You will not win.” Rayne said as she looked down at him. “We figured out what you did.”



Dyn looked up at her confused at first and then a small smile came across his face. “Did you now?” he asked. “And what did I do.”



“The tale, what you did to the tale.” Rayne said and even Aj looked at her a little confused. “Erasing our memories, and changing the tale so we would be sent away so you would have free reign to do as you please.”



“Oh.” Dyn said with a sigh. “That.”



“Where is the tale?” Rayne asked.



“You ask that question like I would actually tell you.” Dyn said as he stood up looking at her.



“You will tell me Dyn.” Rayne said looking at him with anger.



“And what makes you so sure?” Dyn asked her. She didn’t answer him but grabbed him by his robe and to the shock and amazement of everyone around her including Aj slammed Dyn against the side railing. He fell back a little but Rayne held onto him but if she let go Dyn would go over the railing. Aj quickly ran over to them as Dyn struggled unsuccessfully to get away.



“Rayne?” Aj said as he looked at her. Her eyes were glowing, her fingers sparked and he stepped back a little not sure what to make of her. A splashing sound from below took Aj’s attention away from her and he looked down to the water below. Fins, tails, and large jaws with sharp teeth poked out from the water, splashing around, banging into each other as the sharks waited for their meal. He looked back to Rayne as she held Dyn over them.



“Where is the tale?” Rayne said angrily as Dyn looked at her and then down to the sharks below.



“Kill me I do not care, I will come back, and you will be forgotten.” Dyn said with a sinister laugh.



“Not this time Dyn.” Rayne said as she leaned him back further. The sharks started jumping, trying to grab at Dyn. Aj looked at Rayne and saw her eyes were glowing brighter. He wasn’t sure what was going on with her, if this was a spell he had never seen her use before, or if it was something else.



The ship rocked suddenly to the right and everyone including Aj, Rayne and Dyn fell back as the boat tilted. Aj fell back down to the ground and felt himself start too slide to the other end of the ship. Then he felt the ship rock back as it pulled itself up right. Aj sat up and looked around quickly; he saw Brian and Kevin pulling themselves to their feet. He looked over to the railing and saw Dyn pulling himself up and then to Rayne as she laid on the deck floor. Getting up he headed over to her but was stopped by a fist against the side of his face. Aj fell onto his side, his head rattled by the shot, his sight was blurry and he lightly shook his head as he heard yelling around him. He looked up as he saw Avit go flying past him; he quickly looked back and saw Dyn fighting off Brian, Kevin, and Harls.



There was no way Dyn could do this; he had to have that Evil in him. As the fog from the punch lifted from his head he remembered Rayne and looked over to her as she slowly sat up on her knees. As he looked back to Dyn he saw the Elvaan coming at him and he quickly let a frost bolt go. It hit Dyn in the chest and the man stumbled a little as the ice shattered against him.



Quickly Aj got up and ran over to Rayne; she was still having trouble getting up as he wrapped his hands around her waist. “Come on darling get up.” Aj said as he helped her stand. She looked up at him, her eyes showed confusion and as he watched them go wide he felt something or someone grab his robe from behind. He felt an arm wrap around his neck and he tired to pull it away as it closed tighter around his neck. The ship rocked again and this time a wave came crashing down onto the deck. Aj felt the arm let go as the wave sent him across to the other side and he slammed into the ship railing. The water came splashing up around him and he brought his hands up to his face trying to block what he could. He wiped his face as the ship began to tilt back upright and the water rushed away.



“What the hell is going on?!” Aj shouted to anyone who would listen.



“I thought it was you!” he heard someone shout and he looked to his left and saw Kevin hanging onto the stair railing and Brian holding onto his foot.



“No!” Aj shouted back as he started to look for Rayne. He scanned the deck, looking at the crew as they slowly got up and recovered from the wave. “Rayne!” Aj shouted out. He scanned the deck again as he stepped forward wondering if she was sent behind the boxes on the deck. “Rayne!” Aj shouted again his voice filling with panic. He spun around and ran back to the railing looking to see if she went over. He scanned across the water below looking around the men trying to get back onto the boat, the men who just floated in the water but she wasn’t there. “What the hell.” Aj said to himself as he turned back around.



“Where’s Dyn?” Kevin asked as he walked up to Aj.



“Dyn?” Aj asked as he started to look around.



“Did he teleport?” Brian asked. Aj turned around when he felt someone walk up behind him but his heart sunk when he saw it was Avit.



“Have you seen Rayne?” Aj asked.



“No Sir.” Avit said shaking his head.



“What about Dyn?” Aj asked as his heart started to race and his panic intensified.



“I have men checking below but I do not see how he got down there with the wave hitting us.” Avit said.



“How could they just vanish?” Kevin asked. Aj didn’t know and he didn’t want any more questions. The thought of him alone with her again angered him, and now he was racing with fear because there was much more too Dyn now.



“Rayne!” Aj shouted again as he walked passed Avit and towards the bow of the ship.



“Alexander we still have to deal with Sarila’s ships.” Avit said from behind him.



“Rayne!” Aj shouted again as he stood up on some boxes ignoring Avit. He got up onto the bow holding onto the bowsprit. Sighing in frustration when he didn’t see her again, he looked up and was about to climb down when saw something in the horizon. “Ships.” Aj said quietly to himself. He remembered the man shouting that the Sarila ships had arrived.



“I’m going over there.” Aj said as he turned to look at Avit, and the guys.



“Are you mad!?” Avit said not even letting Kevin say the same thing. Aj looked at Avit shocked he hadn’t really been angry at him before. “You teleport over there with all of his men and you will be dead before you even know you are there.”



“I am not leaving her there with him.” Aj said looking at Avit. “Get me a Gryphon I’ll fly over and attack from the air.” He said as he stepped down from the boxes and walked across the deck.



“His archers will shoot you down.” Avit said as Brian and Kevin followed.



“You can’t stop me!” Aj shouted as he spun around. “I’m your King damn it so get me a Gryphon now!” The fear rushed through him and he looked at his General with panic and anger. He felt the tears coming and he fought to keep them back.



“Incoming!” A man shouted and everyone looked around to see who was shouting but a whizzing sound made them look up and as they did something smashed into the foremast. Aj, Avit and his friends ran towards the back of the ship as the long piece of wood came crashing down the bow of the ship, pulling the fore topsail down with it. It crashed into the three sails on the bowsprit, ripping a huge hole in the flying jib.



“What was that?” Aj yelled as he looked to Avit.



“It appears Sarila is firing on us.” Avit told him. More whizzing was heard and they were sprayed with water at the cannon balls hit the ocean around them.



“I think he’s trying to tell us something.” Kevin said as they stood up.



“Yeah, he’s back on that ship and he has Rayne.” Aj said as they looked to the ships head of them.



“What is that?” Brian said as he touched Aj’s shoulder. He looked to his friend and then to where he was pointing. Aj looked at the Sarila ship that was closer to them, the one that was firing at them.





What he saw shocked him. He couldn’t see the people but he could see the magic spells lighting up the night sky. He watched as the ship started rocking like there ship did before. Aj, Kevin, Brian, and Avit all walked over to the bow of the ship as the water surrounding Sarila’s ships started getting rougher.



“Is that the Tohil spell?” Kevin asked Aj.



“No.” Aj said as he lightly shook his head. “It’s a..” He stopped as a lighting bolt struck the back of the Master Sarila ship.



“It’s a what?” Kevin asked.



“It’s a spell, like a Typhoon.” Aj said as he watched the boat start to get toss around.



“Is it one of those old spells?” Brian asked.



“Yeah.” Aj said.



“Why is Dyn fighting with that kind of spell on his own ship?” Avit said stunned and confused.



“I don’t think it’s Dyn.” Aj said although he wasn’t to sure himself.



“What do you mean? Dyn is the only Mage on that ship that can do that spell isn’t he?” Kevin asked him as Aj looked at him. “Well besides you.”



“No.” Aj said shaking his head. “Rayne’s Mom.”



“You mean she’s alive?” Brian asked shocked.



“I’m not sure, Dyn was dead I know that much, and now he’s not. So what happened to Rayne’s mom.” Aj asked. “Damn it, Avit I need to get over there.” Avit looked at him for a moment, and then looked to the ships.



“Very well.” Avit sighed. “I and some men will fly ahead and distract them, then you can teleport over, grab Rayne and return to the ship.”



“Ok.” Aj said shaking his head in agreement. Avit sighed again as he walked across the deck and called for a Gryphon. Within a second the birds were on the deck and Avit and his men were climbing up. Aj looked back to the ship as they heard a clasp of thunder crack around them.



“Hurry Avit!” Aj yelled as a wave came crashing down onto Sarila’s ship. As Aj said that Avit and his guards took off into the air and started flying towards the Dyn and his crew.



“Dude, be careful.” Brian said as he took Aj’s arm. Aj didn’t say anything as he looked from Brian to the air. He watched as Avit and his men got closer, when he saw a flaming arrow fall from the sky he took that as his cue and readied to teleport himself over there.



He closed his eyes and thought about Ranye on the ship, he thought about where the ships were and how to get there. With a wooshing sound everything went from silence to banging, screaming, and fighting. The boat rocked and Aj grabbed onto the mast as men went slidding across the deck. As the ship straighten out Aj pulled himself up, when out of no where someone went flying passed him. Quickly he turned around and looked down, he saw Dyn lying on the deck floor. Slowly he turned around and he gasped a little when he saw Rayne’s Mom. The wind was whipping around her; the rain would break away around her and not even touch her.



Then he froze when he realized she was looking right at him. He didn’t know what was going on with her, was she good, was she bad, or was it some weird side effect from what the Evil did to her. But before he could think of a conclusion an arm wrapped around his neck again and dragged him away from the staff.



“So nice of you to join us.” He heard Dyn from behind and he reached back and grabbed onto the Elvaan’s hair. Dyn yelled in pain as Aj grabbed onto his hair and pulled. He tried to pull him forward loosening the grip Dyn had on him but it didn’t work. “Do you think she smells like Twills brother?” Dyn asked. Aj wasn’t sure what a Twill smelt like. He knew they were a flower in Winnol, used for many things by the people. “Her skin is so soft, and her lips, well her lips are..” that was enough for Aj and with a deep growl he pushed back and sent him and Dyn back into the Foremast. Dyn shouted in pain and let go of Aj’s neck and he started coughing and gasping as more air rushed into his lungs. Just as Aj was standing up he felt someone jump on him from behind and sent him crashing down to the deck floor.



The sound of Dyn yelling in pain, and the smashing of ice around him made him quickly get up and he looked down. Dyn was lying on the deck in pain as he slowly tried to get to his feet. Aj looked up to the Quarter Deck and saw Rayne’s mom was still there starring at both of them.



“It’s not good to piss of the in-laws Dyn.” Aj said as he looked back to the Elvaan as he got up.



“I swear that mouth will be the end of you.” Dyn hissed at him and then dove at him again. The two men grappled with each other as they pushed each other around the ships deck. Dyn would throw a punch and then Aj would, then Dyn again and then Aj again. “Come on Alexander we’re brothers, we could always just share her.” Dyn said laughing.



“I grew up an only child.” Aj said as he grabbed Dyn’s robe. “I don’t share shit.” And with that he pulled back his arm back and slammed his fist into Dyn’s face. If Aj hadn’t been holding onto Dyn’s robe the man would have fallen back, but Aj held onto him, so just his head snapped back.



“Well than that is to bad dear brother..” Dyn said as he grabbed Aj’s arm and spun him around, the two stumbled back against the ships railing. Then with one violent jerk the ship began to tip over, as the ship rolled over, the two men slid down the deck and over the railing as giant ship capsized. Aj felt himself go under the water, something pulling him down, then a second later he felt himself get pushed up and he popped out of the water. He looked around coughing from the little bit of water he swallowed.



He was wading in the water beside the ship; the belly was sticking up, completely flipped over. With a little bit of panic he started looking around. He hadn’t seen Rayne since the moment he got on the ship, and now that it had capsized he was even more concerned.



As Aj shouted out for her something grabbed his ankle and pulled him under. He struggled as he went down, not being able to get a good breath before he went under he was already running out of air. Quickly he looked down and saw Dyn pulling on his leg. He looked past Dyn and saw the robes from the sails and mast had tangled around Dyn’s leg and they were pulling him down as they began to sink to the bottom of the ocean, and Aj realized in that moment Dyn was taking him down with him.



Aj tried swimming up pulling himself up, kicking at Dyn as he tried to break free. His heart started racing he had no breath and was fighting with everything he had not to open his mouth and inhale all the water. He heard a deep splashing sound and he looked up as Rayne swam past him and down to Dyn. She let off a spell and it broke Dyn’s grip from Aj’s leg. Quickly Aj swam to the top, the closer he got the more he wondered if he would make it as his head started getting dizzy. Then when he felt it was little to late, his head poked out of the water and he gasped for air.



He began choking and spitting water his body almost slipping back under, but a hand on the back of his robe stopped him from going down. Slowly still hacking he looked up and saw Avit hovering over him on a Gryphon. Aj grabbed the saddle and with the help of Avit pulled himself up onto the Gryphon.



“Rayne’s still down there.” He gasped out to Avit. “She’s still under the water.” Avit looked to Aj and then down to the water. As Aj started to catch his breath he looked over to see if he could see her. “Damn it where is she.” Aj said as he looked down.



“Alex!” Aj heard Kevin shout and he slowly turned around and saw Kevin flying up to them, as the Gryphon stopped Aj was shocked to see Brian on the back. “Are you ok man?”



“Rayne’s still down there.” Aj said pointing to the water.



“Let’s land on the ship’s belly, should be able to hold our two Gryphons.” Avit shouted to Kevin, Kevin nodded and they both flew their birds down to the boat. As the birds landed Aj jumped down and the shipped rocked a little. He knelt down easier to balance himself until the ship settled, but his eyes didn’t leave the water. Aj’s eyes locked onto a pile of debris floating in the water, he squinted to see better when he saw something that didn’t look right. He wished at that moment he was Elvaan so he could see farther.




“Avit what is that.” Aj said pointing to the pile. Avit followed Aj’s direction and locked his eyes onto the broken pieces of wood and cargo.



“It is her.” Avit said to him quickly with a nod. Aj turned and dove into the water, when he surfaced he swam at a lightening pace towards the debris. When he got close enough to see her he stopped and called out to her. She laid on top of the floating board, on her side, her arm hanging in the water.



“Rayne?” Aj said breathless as he reached the floating board. He followed the broken piece of wood along the side and pulled her arm out of the water. “Rayne can you hear me?” Aj asked as he brushed her hair from her face.



“Mom?” Rayne said as she lifted her head.



“No it’s Alex.” He said to her as she started to come too.



“She saved me, she’s not evil anymore, Alex you have to find her.” Rayne pleaded with him. Aj looked back to the ship, when he saw the guys and Avit were gone he looked up and saw them over top.



“Avit have you found the Mage?” Aj yelled up to him.



“No.” Avit said.



“Find her; I’ll get Rayne back to the ship.” He said pointing to the floating wreckage. He then looked at Kevin as Avit took off flying. “Meet me there.” Aj looked back at Rayne as Kevin took off towards the boat.



“Can you swim?” Aj asked her.



“I am too tired.” Rayne said barely holding her head up. Aj took her hand and with a light smile conjured a small wind spell. It was enough to push the board towards the ship and Aj slowly swam beside her. When they arrived at the ship Kevin reached down and pulled Rayne up as Brian helped Aj onto the ship. When Aj was out of the water he crawled over to Rayne as Kevin laid her down.



“Did they find her yet?” Rayne asked as Aj helped her sit up.



“No, not yet.” Aj said as he looked up too the sky quickly. “Are you ok?” He asked.



“I think so.” She said with a light sigh. Aj looked up when he heard the sound of a Gryphon riding past them. He saw Avit flying fast towards Winnol’s ships and he saw someone slumped in front of him.



“Kevin help me get her onto your Gryphon, I’m taking her back to our ship. Harls and a Rider can take you two back.” Aj said



“Ok man.” Kevin said as he reached down and helped Rayne up. Aj carefully got up on to the flying beast and then Kevin handed him Rayne.



“Ready?” He asked her.



“Yes.” She replied with a light nod.



“I’ll see you two there.” Aj said as he looked down to Brian and Kevin. The two nodded at him and then he gave the animal a gentle kick and up it went into the air. As they flew over what was left of Sarila’s Master ship Aj looked around at the destruction. It looked like the whole top half of the ship had been ripped apart. He looked at Rayne, she was awake and aware of where she was but she looked tired and weak. Aj tightened his grip around her as he wondered what happened on Sarila’s ship.
Chapter 13 by VeeLynn
The Guardian Crusade

Volume I



Chapter 13



Rayne laid her head on Aj’s shoulder. Her head was pounding so hard she couldn’t even think straight but what thoughts she did have were about her mom. Her body ached and every piece of her felt drained. She could barely lift her arm to wrap it around his neck as he carried her somewhere. Slowly she opened her eyes as she felt Aj lay her down on something soft, she looked up and saw Aj pulling a blanket over her.



“Where are we?” She asked as she looked up at him.



“Back on our ship.” Aj said as he took her hand.



“Did you find her?” Rayne asked trying not to talk to loud so the pounding in her head stopped.



“I think so, I haven’t seen Avit yet, I’m concerned about you right now.” Aj said and she saw the worry in his eyes. “What happened?”



“It is hard for me to remember right now.” Rayne said.



“What was with the sharks?” Aj asked her.



“Sharks?” She asked as she thought back to what had happened. “Oh. I think I was a little premature to try that.” She said with a light smile but he looked at her confused. “Remember when I sent Pac to find you?” He nodded to her. “The sharks were the next step, to be able to control nature, control life.”



“Wait you mean, you were telling the sharks to attack Dyn?” Aj asked.



“I had hoped it would scare him but when the boat tipped I let go of him, and lost the connection.” Rayne said remembering.



“How did Dyn get you on to his ship?” She was about to answer when men started shouting and they heard a loud crashing sound.



“What was that?” Kevin asked as the ship began to rock a little and for the first time Rayne had realized Aj’s friends were in the room too.



“I dunno.” Aj said as he looked at them. “I’ll go check with Avit, see what’s going on, you guys stay here with her, I don’t trust Dyn is dead, not till I see the body, even then I wouldn’t believe it.” Aj said as he looked at his friends. Kevin and Brian nodded as Aj turned to look at her. “I’ll be right back.” She lightly nodded as he kissed her on the forehead and left. Sitting up she pulled her hair behind her and took a deep breath.



“You should lie down.” Brian said to her and she looked at him.



“I am fine.” She said brushing him off. Her patience with this friend of Alex’s was wearing thin. He was very demanding in his demeanor towards her and as a Princess she wasn’t accustomed to that. But he was Alex’s friend, and he did save her life.



“Do you need any thing, like water?” Kevin asked.



“Yes, some water would be nice thank you.” She said with a light smile. Closing her eyes she relaxed her mind hoping that would ease her headache. A loud crashing sound and the ship rocking violently shortly after jolted her from her meditation. She looked around at Kevin and Brian and then stood up.



“Where are you going?” Brian asked as he followed her.



“To see what that was.” She said as she looked at him quickly.



“I’m sure Alex is coming to tell you.” Brian said. She stopped to tell him exactly what she was thinking, when the door opened and Aj rushed in.



“Sarila’s started firing at us, we just lost the Bowsprit.” He stopped when he saw Rayne standing in front of Brian. “Why are you out of bed?”



“I was coming to see what that was.” Rayne said as Aj walked up to her.



“We’re ready sir.” Avit said as he walked into the Chambers.



“Ok, I’ll be right there.” Aj said with a nod.



“Where are you going now?” Kevin asked.



“I am going with Harls, Avit and some of the Riders; we’re going to attack from above.” Aj said as everyone listened.



“I’ll come with.” Kevin said grabbing his chest plate from the chair.



“No dude, I need you here keep an eye on Rayne.” Aj said stopping him.



“Alex?” Rayne said and she waited for him to turn around and looked at her. “Did you find her?” She asked again. She watched as Aj looked to Avit and then back to her.



“Yeah, we found her.” Aj said nodding.



“Where is she I want to see her.” Rayne said and she couldn’t help but smile a little.



“The Priests are with her.” Aj said.



“Is she ok?” Rayne said as the smile left.



“We’re not sure yet.” Aj said as he took her hand. Her heart started to sink as she thought back to when she and Dyn had popped onto the ship, after he teleported them. “Rayne?” She heard Aj say and she looked up at him. “What happened?” He asked her again.



“Dyn had teleported us to the ship.” Rayne said.



“Can you teleport with someone?” Brian asked Aj.



“Dude.” Aj said snapping at Brian for interrupting her. “and no, I can’t.”



“I think it is only something the Evil can do.” Rayne said. “That’s why mother could as well.”



“So what happened with your Mom?” Aj asked her.



“Dyn dragged me into the Chambers.” She took a breath but kept her gaze away from Aj, she could feel his anger and she was pretty sure it wasn’t the fact she was a Druid that she could pick up on it. “I think, for some reason she was in there, whether he knew that I do not know but she went after him right away.” She said finally looking at Aj. “I got knocked down and when I saw her I just froze.”



“Sir.” Avit said as Rayne looked at Aj’s General.



“I have to go now, we’ll talk more when I get back.” Aj said as he looked back to her.



“Please be careful.” She said as worry started to come over her.



“I’ll be fine.” He said with a reassuring smile as he leaned in a kissed her. When they pulled away she held onto his hand and followed him out to the deck. She stopped for a second as she saw the destruction at the front of the ship. The long spear like nose of the ship was gone only a small jagged piece remained. The sails were ripped and torn so much they couldn’t hold any wind and the ship just sat there.



“Get down!!” Someone shouted and everyone on the ship dropped to their knees.



A cannonball ripped over their heads and slammed into the back of the ship and ripped the back railing of the Quarter Deck. It broke a whole in the middle sending pieces of wood all over the Captains Deck.



“Let’s go now.” Aj said to Avit as everyone stood up and recovered.

















“Land Ho!” A dwarf shouted and Nick looked up to the crows nest. “Sarila!” The man shouted again. Nick slowly walked towards the front of the ship as he saw the silhouette of the city in the distance. He looked up to the sky and wondered when the Gryphon’s would arrive. He was about to look back but a dot in the sky caught his eye. He squinted for a minute and realized it was moving. Quickly he looked around and saw Howie talking to the Captain.



“Hey D!” Nick shouted waving his arm and Howie looked up. “What is that?” He asked as he pointed to the dot he saw. Howie looked up and then slowly walked in his direction.



“It’s a Gryphon.” Howie said as he looked at him.



“Just one?” Nick asked.



“All I see is one.” Howie said shrugging. Nick frowned a little and turned around. He headed into Rossi’s Chambers. When he walked in he saw Rossi and Nalia looking over the map.



“There’s a Gryphon in the sky.” Nick said as Rossi looked up.



“Aye about damn time.” Rossi said with a huff.



“It’s just one though.” Nick said as Rossi stopped.



“Ye be sure?” Rossi asked.



“I looked all around only saw the one.” Howie said shrugging. That made Rossi frown, Howie was a Ranger and Rangers don’t miss things when it comes to their eye sight. The Dwarf made his way out of the room and onto the deck. He looked up as Nick walked out with Nalia and Howie. The Gryphon was close enough now for Nick to make it out.



“Still only one.” Howie said looking around.



“Do you think something happened?” Nalia asked Nick. He looked down at her and could tell she was getting worried.



“Dunno.” Nick said with a shrug. He didn’t want to jump to conclusions; he will wait until the Gryphon arrived. A couple of minutes later the Rider landed on the deck and the Elvaan jumped off.



“And where be your mates?” Rossi asked the Rider.



“King Alexander sent me ahead, we ran into Sarila’s ships just outside of Winnol.”



“What!” Rossi shouted and Nick wasn’t sure if it was shock or anger.



“So no one is watching Sarila?” Nick asked looking to Rossi.



“If the Mage is planning to go to War with Winnol then most of her army would be on her ships yes.” Nalia said with a nod and then as she said it, it hit all three of them.



“Sarila stands alone!” Rossi shouted. “Attack from the harbor, then through the city!” Rossi shouted.



“What about Winnol?’ Nick asked him. Rossi stopped and looked around.



“Tell me boy can you sail?” Rossi asked.



“Actually I can.” Nick said nodding.



“Aye then go to the Aris take it and make your way to Winnol.” Rossi told him as he nodded to his second ranked ship.



“But we’re against the wind we’ll never make it in time.” Nick said as they walked across the deck.



“My Mages can help you with that, but you need to hurry.” Rossi told him.



“I’m coming with you.” Nalia said as she walked up beside him.



“Me too.” Howie said nodding.



“Then let’s go.” Nick said with a nod. Two dwarves laid a plank across too the other ship. Nick stepped up and carefully walked across to the second ship. He turned around and reached his hand out for Nalia as she walked across.



“Hey!” Howie said as Nick turned around. Howie motioned for his hand and Nick rolled his eyes as Nalia lightly laughed.



“Thanks.” Howie said with a smile. Nick just shook his head as he headed over to the Captain of the Aris. The Captain left the ship in Nick’s charge and made his way over to the Tokia’s Master ship. When the Dwarf was across the plank was pulled back.



“When is Rossi going to give us some wind?” Howie asked Nick and as the words left his mouth the ship jerked and Howie fell to the floor.



“Now.” Nick said with a smile as he turned the wheel and the crew pulled on ropes to open the sails so they could catch he wind. “You ok?” Nick asked laughing a little.



“Yes.” Howie said with embarrassment. “I’m fine.”



“Wow we’re moving pretty fast.” Nick said as he looked at the water below.



“I hope we get there in time.” Nalia said worried.



“Do you think they would stall them?” Howie asked.



“I hope so.” Nick said as he cut the wheel around. He looked up at the sails making sure they were fully out and had a strong push to it. He couldn’t help but smile a little, here he was sailing an actual ship, a ship he had only seen in movies because the technology of his time and place had ships that didn’t need to use the wind to travel. Yet here he was and he had her cutting through the water like a hot knife through butter.



They sailed across the ocean, cutting back and forth to pick up patches of wind. Nalia told Nick that they were making good time but they couldn’t get there fast enough for Nick. He was worried about the guys, and worried about Rossi back in Sarila. When Nick heard a fluttering sound he looked up and saw the sails flapping in the wind.



“We’re losing wind.” Nick said. “It’s starting to come in front of us again.”



“Hey what’s that?” Howie said as he quickly walked over to the railing of the Quarterdeck. Nick looked to where Howie was pointing and he saw flashes of light in the distance.



“Magic” Nalia said as she joined them.



“Get the soldiers.” Nick said to her as he stared at the light show.



“Prepare for battle!” Nalia shouted as she ran down the steps. The crowd of dwarves cheered as they ready themselves. Thunderous yells could be heard from down below as the crew ready the cannon’s.



“Can you make out any ships yet?” Nick asked.



“Sarila is the lion head right?” Howie asked as he looked at him.



“I think so.” Nick said. “Winnol would be the Tree Castle anyways.”



“Then those are Sarila’s ships.” Howie said pointing.



“We can flank them.” Nick said with a smile. “Can you see who’s fighting?”



“No, to dark for that, now I know why Elvaan Rangers are so deadly.” Howie said as he raised his eyebrows a little.



“We’re ready.” Nalia said as she joined them again.



“Howie said those are Sarila’s ships.” Nick said nodding ahead.



“Cut the wheel and turn the bow east for our cannons, when we get close enough.” Nalia told him. He nodded in agreement; kind of proud of himself he knew to do that. And Kevin said watching all those movies when he should be sleeping would amount to nothing.



“There’s no Master ship.” Nalia said as they got closer.



“What?” Howie and Nick said at the same time.



“Sarila’s Master ship is gone.” She said a little shocked.



“No, I think that’s it.” Howie said pointing to the south west of them. He looked over to where Howie was pointing and saw the belly of a ship drifting in the water. Nick’s attention went back to the two Sarila ships, one ship was where the magic light show was happening, and the other was just firing its cannons at the first Sarila ship.



“Ok.” Nick said thinking. “We’ll fire at that one and then try to come up on that ship.”



“It’s Alex.” Howie said somewhat shouting excitedly.



“What?” Nick said looking. “How can you tell?”



“I think I see him, he’s fighting an Elvaan.” Howie said as he went to the ledge to get a better view.



“An Elvaan?” Nick said confused.



“Dyn?” Nalia said confused.



“I thought Aj said he was dead.” Nick said confused. He looked at Howie and his friend just shrugged. “Are we close enough?”



“Yes, yes I think we are.” Nalia nodded as she looked at the second ship.



“Ok, hold on.” Nick said.



“Hold fast!” Nalia shouted to the crew and the all grabbed a hold of something as they shouted for the men below to do the same. Nick cut the wheel to the left and the crew dropped the front sail. The stern, the back of the ship came up towards the front, so the ship sat sideways. With the Starboard side facing the Sarila ship, Nalia shouted for the cannons to fire and within a couple of seconds the cannons went off. The ship jerked a little as the first cannon released and the large solid metal ball sailed across the sky and smashed into the bow of the enemy ship. Three more cannons went off, two missed, just landing to the left and right of the ship. The last cannon made contact with its target hitting the deck and ripping a hole into the middle of the ship.



“Sir Nickolas glad to see you have arrived!” Someone shouted from above and they looked up and saw Avit hovering over their ship on a Gryphon. “Where is the rest of the fleet?” Avit asked as he started to land the Gryphon.



“Hopefully over taking Sarila as we speak while the Mage is here.” Nick said as he walked up to Aj’s General.



“I am afraid it is not the Mage who is in charge anymore.” Avit said with a frown.



“See I told you he was fighting an Elvaan.” Howie said nudging Nick.



“Dyn seems to have this Evil power now.” Avit said. “And yes, King Alexander is on that ship fighting him.



“Where is Rayne?” Nalia asked worried.



“She is on Winnol’s ship.” Avit said.



“We should go help Aj.” Nick said looking at Howie.



“What about the other ship.” Howie said pointing. “Oh.” He said as he saw only half the ship sticking out of the water.



“I will fly back to Princess Rayne and inform her you are here while you assist Alexander.” Avit said looking at Nick.



“Alright.” Nick said with a nod. He waited for Avit to take and then put his attention to the next boat.



Nick steered the ship towards the vessel that Aj was on, he cut the wheel hard and the back end slammed into the Sarila ship. Nick had to duck and cover as pieces of wood fell down around them.



“To close.” Nick said as he stood up and looked to Howie.



“Gee ya think.” Howie said looking around.



“Are you ok?” He asked looking at Nalia as he helped her up.



“Yes.” She nodded as she brushed off herself off. Nick turned around to find Avit when he heard Nalia shout at him and then felt himself get pushed down to the floor. His shoulder hit the deck hard and he grunted in pain, grabbing his arm.



“Nick!” He heard Aj shout. “Are you..” He stopped and Nick wondered what happened to him. He slowly sat up and looked up to the Quarterdecks’ railing, pulling himself up. He looked up and saw Aj fighting with Dyn and figured that’s why he was interrupted.



“Nick.” Howie said from behind him and he turned around as he rubbed his shoulder. All the air in his lungs rushed out as he saw Howie kneeling down by Nalia. Her head was bleeding; she looked like she was unconscious. Quickly he looked around for something to hold against her head. He saw a piece of sail hanging loosely from its restraint. Pulling on it hard he ripped it away and turned back to her. He knelt down beside her and pressed the heavy cloth against her head.



“Nali?” Nick said. “Wha..what happened?” He asked looking at Howie.



“It was an ice bolt, I ducked. I didn’t see what happened to you two.” Howie told him.



Nick looked back down at her. “Nali can you here me?” She didn’t move, she didn’t say a word.



Aj yelling took their attention away from Nalia and they both quickly stood up and looked towards the two men fighting. Aj was trapped between two pieces of wood, he didn’t appear hurt, but Dyn was slamming him with shocks of lightening.



“Shit.” Nick said as he looked back to Nalia.



“Go help him.” Howie said pointing to the ship. “I’ll stay here with her, and flag down Avit.” Nick didn’t want to leave her, not when he didn’t know what was wrong with her but he had to help Aj. Nick turned and jumped down the stairs to the main deck, then began climbing across the wreckage towards Aj. When he reached the other side he reached out his arm and sent a shadow spell flying at Dyn and the man fell back into the stairs. Nick quickly looked over to Aj and he was slumped over but starting to come too. He made his way over to his friend as he kept Dyn at bay with his shadow spells.



“Aj?” Nick said as he reached him and started pulling one of the pieces of wood.



“Hey man.” Aj said with a light smile as he wrapped his arm around Nick, still a little dazzed. “Where’s Dyn?” He asked as he stood up and Nick saw he was coming to. Nick looked over and didn’t see him by the stairs.



“I don’t see him.” Nick said as he looked back to Aj.



“Where’s Howie?” Aj asked.



“On the other ship with Nalia, she’s hurt.” Nick said as voice trickling off at the end.



“What happened?” Aj asked.



“She got hurt when that Ice spell came at us.” Nick said as he look to the ship Howie and her were on.



Nick stood still when he saw Dyn wrestling with Howie when Dyn started heading to Nalia, Nick let go of Aj and headed back onto his ship. He scrambled to get across, almost falling once when his foot got caught on a rope.



“Don’t!” Nick shouted as jumped down just as Dyn reached for Nalia who was still unconscious. Nick ran to the stairs and made it up in two, he stopped dead when he didn’t make it in time and Dyn turned with Nalia in his arms. “Let her go.” Nick said his voice showing panic.



“Oh I will after I turn her into a block of ice.” Dyn said smiling. “How long do you think it will take for her to sink to the bottom of the ocean?”



“Don’t, please.” Nick said looking at the Elvaan.



“Don’t? Please?” Dyn said laughing. “How you ended up being a Warlock I will never know.” Dyn said looking at him with disgust. “Locks control the dark, they take comfort in death, and they are as ugly on the inside as they are on the outside.” Dyn looked down to Nalia and then back to Nick. “I might as well toss her over now; ease her of the pain of watching you succumb to the shadow.” Nick looked at him confused. “What?” Dyn laughed. “They did not tell you.” He stared at Nick but Nick didn’t say anything. “Why do you think you have not seen any other Warlocks around? They will not fight in a War, they will watch and enjoy it, they live alone because they are unlovable and soon Nickolas that will be you.” Dyn said as he tossed Nalia towards Nick.



“On second thought watching her heart shatter would be more fun.” Dyn said as Nick caught Nalia almost falling to the Quarterdeck floor. Dyn jumped over the railing but was tackled by Aj. Nick stood there holding Nalia watching Dyn and Aj fight back and forth. The Elvaan’s words filled him with anger and as he watched the two fight down below, his feelings got stronger and stronger.



He watched as Howie jumped onto Dyn’s back as he stood over top of Aj. Dyn stumbled back as Howie hit him with a blinding spell and jumped off him, pushing Dyn into the Chamber wall. The Elvaan stumbled around not being able to see where he was. Nick ducked down as Dyn started firing off ice spells and fire spells in any direction.



Laying Nalia on the ground, in a place where he thought she would be safe, Nick stood up and looked at his friends. It didn’t matter to him that they were doing fine on their own, holding Dyn off and weakening him. He walked down the stairs and right over to Dyn who was still blinded.



“Dude careful.” Aj shouted to Nick but he ignored him. Dyn spun around and let off a fire spell but it didn’t affect Nick at all, in fact it was like Nick absorbed the spell. “Nick?” He heard his friend say but he still said nothing.



Reaching out Nick grabbed Dyn by the throat, his fingers started glowing purple, and then small, dark, black orbs broke from his fingers. They wrapped around Dyn’s neck like a python wraps around its prey. The darkness streamed from Dyn’s neck, up Nick’s arm, and covered him in a light purple glow.



Nick could feel the hate running through him, the feeling was so intense that it prevented him from letting go. The glow around him got brighter as Dyn screamed so loud Aj wondered if it reached the Winnol ships. Nick suddenly let go and dropped to his knees, the purple glow absorbing into him. His head started getting dizzy, the boat started spinning, and then everything went black as he felt himself collapse to the deck floor.









“Nick!” Aj shouted as he ran to his friend and knelt down beside him. He looked at Dyn who was rolling around on the ground gasping in pain. He wasn’t sure what Nick had done to him but what he saw in front of him was terrifying. Dyn was starting to welt, his hair was thinning, his face turned older and older, his skin winkled, his feature fell, he curled up into a fetal position, and his cries of pain became trailed off into silence.



“How..” Aj stuttered a little, still in shock from what he just saw. “Howie go check on Nalia.” Aj said not being able to look away from Dyn.



“Did he do that to him?” He heard Howie asked.



“Go check on Nalia.” Was all Aj could say as he turned and looked at Howie. Howie looked from Aj took Nick and then stood up and headed to the stairs. Aj looked down at his friend, hoping he had just been knocked out from the energy of what ever spell that was.



“She’s still out.” Howie shouted down to him.



“You have any flaming arrows left?” Aj asked him.



“No.” Howie said shaking his head. Then Howie’s head shot up and he looked over to the Winnol’s boats.



“What?” Aj asked as he looked over too.



“Gryphon’s, there coming this way.” Howie said looking back at him. Within a few seconds Aj saw the birds in the sky gliding down towards the ship. He was surprised to see there were three Gryphon’s that landed. Aj stood up and lightly smiled when he saw Rayne jump down from behind Avit on his Gryphon. She ran right to him and wrapped her arms around him.



“You’re ok.” She said relieved as his hands slid around the back of her waist but then she quickly pulled away. “Nalia?” Rayne said as she let go of Aj and headed to the stairs. Aj turned around and realized she saw Nalia lying on the Quarterdeck. “What happened to her?” Rayne asked as she looked down to Aj.



“Nick said she got hit with an ice spell.” Aj said as Harls and a Priest came over to Rayne and Nalia.



“What happened to him?” Brian said pointing to Dyn as him and Kevin cringed at the sight.

“Nick did some sort of spell, I’d never seen it before, but that’s not shocking.” Aj said looking to Rayne as she came down the stairs staring at Dyn.



“He drained him.” Rayne said quietly.



“He what now?” Kevin asked.



“Drain, it’s a spell, drains the persons life from them.” Rayne said as she looked at the guys. Aj looked at Brian and Kevin, then back down to Nick. He couldn’t believe Nick had done that or even knew how.



“Drain’s their life?” Brian said stunned. Aj looked at Rayne as she looked down at her former friend.



“There’s no life in him.” Rayne said and Aj watched as she fought back her tears.



“What about the Evil?” Howie asked. Aj looked at him, and then looked at Rayne; she had a puzzled look on her face. Her eyes went from Dyn to Nick, and Aj looked down to his friend.



“No.” Aj said looking up at Rayne quickly. She looked at him and her eyes etched in sympathy.



“What?” Aj heard Kevin say.



“Are you sure it didn’t die with Dyn?” Aj asked her.



“I do not know, Dyn was dead and it was still able to use him, it is possible it..” She stopped as Aj’s eyes went wide.



“Shit.” Aj said as he covered his mouth.



“Alex.” Kevin said with a stern tone. “What’s possible?”



“I think.” Aj stopped and looked to Nick. “I think the Evil might of, jumped to Nick.”



“What?!” Howie Brian and Kevin yelled at the same time.



“No there’s no way.” Brian said shaking his head.



“How?” Kevin asked.



“No not how, it didn’t happen.” Brian said looking at the two.



“If it knew Dyn was dying it could have taken Nick over like it did with Johon, with Rayne’s Mom, with Dyn.” Aj said looking at Kevin.



“Oh baby you gotta be kidding me.” Kevin said he started to tear up. “How do we get it out?”



“I don’t know.” Aj said shaking his head.



“What do you mean you don’t know?” Brian said angrily.



“Exactly what I said, I don’t know!” Aj yelled back at him.



“Guys!” Howie shouted. “Stop, we need to calm down.”



“Calm down?” Brian yelled again. “Nick has been taken over by some thing that wants to kill everyone.”



“We don’t know for sure.” Aj said to Brian. “Maybe, maybe it died when Dyn did.”



“Maybe, yeah maybe makes me feel all better.” Brian said as he threw his hands up.



“Then bitch about it some more!” Aj shouted at him.



“Alright, enough.” Kevin said as he held out his hands. “Where’s Rossi?”



“He went to hopefully take back Sarila.” Howie said. “We figured most of the Army was with the fleet coming at you guys.”



“Most of the men started deserting when you arrived.” Rayne said to Howie.



“Then let’s get back to the ships, and get back to Winnol, maybe they have gotten word from Rossi via the globes.” Kevin said as he looked at Aj. He nodded in agreement and made his way over to Avit. His General was keeping a look out as the Winnol ships came to pick up any stragglers, and them.



“I need to ask you something.” Aj said as he walked up to Avit.



“Of course Sir.” Avit said as he looked at Aj with some puzzlement.



“Do you know if Marsa had said anything about the tale, is there an actually copy, did he see it in a dream?” Aj asked.



“Lord Marsa was visited by Pixca in a dream telling him about the arrival of you, and about the tale.” Avit said remembering.



“Was there ever a copy of it?” Aj asked.



“Hundreds of years ago, but she took it back to protect it.” Avit told him.



“I swore Marsa said it was written down.” Aj said as he looked out to the boats that caught his eye. “Has Rayne seen her Mom yet?” Aj asked.



“No, when the Priest came out he said she needed rest and was not to be disturbed if at all possible, so she just stood watch for you.” Avit said.



“Yeah I saw the Sea Hawk flying around.” Aj said as he looked back to her.



“She is a very powerful Druid, some Elvaans are even jealous of her.” Avit said.



“Really?” Aj said shocked, he didn’t think Elvaan’s got jealous.



“She’s human Sir and well human’s usually put themselves first and everything else second. Especially when it comes to Nature and the Animals of the land, they have a hard time respecting that. And to have a human be such a powerful Druid is a little hard to swallow.” Avit said with an embarrassing smile.



“I see.” Aj said nodding understanding. “She’s a good person; she’s not like that at all.” Aj said too him.



“I agree Sir; she defiantly is a good person.” Avit nodded.



“General Avit!” A man shouted and Aj and Avit looked up. One of the ships had made it too them and sailed up along side of them.



“We have injured.” Avit shouted back to them. The man got down from the railing as he yelled to help the injured and Aj turned around and looked for Rayne. She was sitting over with Nalia who was still out. He looked at Nick who had Howie, Brian and Kevin all sitting around him. He was still out too and Aj sighed as he remembered what he saw Nick do. Then he shivered at the thought of Dyn shriveling up like a grape in the sun.



“Careful.” Brian said as some soldiers picked Nick up as he laid on a board.



“Calm down man.” Kevin said looking at Brian.



“I hate this place.” Brian said as he threw up his hands. “I don’t know what you see in it.” He said as he looked at Aj. Brian shook his head and headed up the plank. Aj looked over to Rayne; she was waiting by the stairs to the Quarterdeck as the Winnol crew attended to Nalia.



“I’ll calm him down.” Kevin said as Aj looked up at him. Aj lightly smiled as Kevin turned and followed the men carrying Nick up the plank to the ship.



Aj walked over to Rayne as some men came down with Nalia. He walked up to her and wrapped his hand gently around the back of her neck, and pulled her against him. Wrapping his arms around her, he held her tight, thankful for the quiet of the moment after the night they had just been through.



“The Priest said the spell hit her in the head.” Rayne said as she pulled away a little from Aj.

“I’m sure she’ll be ok.” Aj said as he brushed her bangs out of her face. She took a deep breath as she laid her head against his chest.



“Alexander?” Avit said as Aj slowly turned around as Rayne pulled away.



“We are ready to leave.” Avit told him.



“Good, let’s get the hell outta here.” Aj said with a sigh. He took Rayne’s hand and they followed Avit up to the ship.
Chapter 14 by VeeLynn
The Guardian Crusade

Volume I



Chapter 14



The morning sun peeked over the horizon and it lit the sky in a light purple blanket. The large opening in the cliff wall swallowed them and Aj sighed as they finally reached the safety of home. Nick and Nalia were still out, but the Priest said they would both recover. Although they weren’t sure how long it would take for Nalia to wake. Rayne had fallen asleep while sitting in the chair so he put her to bed in the bunk and then came out here.



He was really worried about Nick. Avit suggested that they restrain Nick until they can make sure he’s Evil free. Brian threw a hissy fit and went below and hasn’t been seen since. But truth be told he thought Avit was right, they didn’t know if Nick was, and he couldn’t risk Nick waking up and reeking havoc amongst Winnol. He rubbed his eyes as the thought of telling Brian that entered his head and he moaned.



When they approached the docks the crew started shouting down to the men below. Aj walked over to the side of the ship as the sails closed and the boat began to slow. With the sails down the ship stopped pretty quickly, and rocked and jerked as it pulled up to the dock, hitting against it a couple of times.



As he made his way over to the Chamber doors he saw Avit come down the stairs from the Quarterdeck. “I am off to find out word on Sarila and Rossi.” Avit told him.



“Alright.” Aj nodded and Avit rushed off the boat. He opened the door and walked into the room. Rayne was still sleeping curled up with the blankets wrapped tightly around her.



Sliding his hand over her hip he gently shook her. “Rayne” He whispered. Her eyes opened quickly and she looked around for a second a little confused on where she was. “We’re back in Winnol.” Aj said as she slowly sat up.



“How long have I been sleeping?” She asked.



“An hour or so.” Aj said



“Any word on Mother?” She asked him.



“She’s still resting; they’re moving her to the room beside yours.” Aj said with a light smile. “So let’s head to the Castle and get some sleep ourselves.”



“Ok.” Rayne said as she lightly nodded. He wrapped his arm around hers and led her to the door. They walked out to the deck and down the plank on to the dock. As they walked across the wooden pathway Avit approached them.



“I have sent my guards to turn on the globe.” Avit told him. “We will wait a few minutes and then go in with a search party, if things look to risky we will pull out right away.” Avit told them.



“Ok.” Aj said nodding. “We’ll walk with you there.”



The three of them walked out of the harbor and up the staircase to the second floor hallway. The doors to the globe room were open and there were about twenty Elvaan soldiers standing around.



“What is going on?” Avit asked one of his guards as they walked up to the men.



“Aye stand back Elvaans!” They heard a Dwarf shout and they looked at each other as the men parted away from the doors. When the last guard stepped back the three looked back and saw Rossi standing in front of them. He walked up to Rayne and bowed in front of her.



“Drisel is now in your control Princess.” Rossi said as he looked up at her. Aj watched as she looked at the globe, her eyes were filling with tears.



“Is it secure?” Avit asked.



“The Palace be, the city soon enough, most of the resistance was in thee Palace. We have all of the Mages’ men rounded up in the east part of the city.”



Aj looked back to Rayne when he felt her let go of him, he watched as she walked towards the globe. Aj looked at Avit and nodded for him to follow as he started walking behind Rayne. He stood beside her as she placed her hand on the glowing sphere. Avit and Aj joined her and as the smoked rose they disappeared.



When the smoked cleared they looked around and saw a couple of Dwarfs sitting in the room. When they saw Rayne and Aj they stood up immediately. Even Avit out ranked these guys.



“Princess” The men said with a bow.



She lightly smiled at them and then headed towards the doors. Aj looked at Avit quickly and then followed her. He watched as she opened the doors and walked out to the hallway. Following her out he looked around. He saw no enemy’s just Dwarfs.



“We’ve searched thee Palace.” A Dwarf said behind them. They turned around and looked at him. “Aye we be respectful Milady.” He said with a light bow.



“Thank you.” Rayne said quietly. Aj watched as she took a couple of steps forward and then she turned around. “Did you find Rem?” she asked.



“No Milady.” The Dwarf said shaking his head. “But he still could be in the east side of the city.”



“Avit” Aj said as Rayne talked to Rossi and one of his commanders about the condition of the Palace.



“Yes Sir?” Avit said turning to him.



“Have our soldiers give a hand to the men in the east section, tomorrow we’ll set out some ships and help transport the prisoners to Winnol.” Aj said.



“Good idea Sir, it will help ease the over crowding here.” Avit said with a nod. He walked over to his men who were getting filled in by some Dwarven soldiers. Aj turned around and saw Rayne walking over to him.



“There is nothing more I can do right now.” Rayne said to him. “I want to return to Winnol, check on Mother.”



“My men that are here now will help Rossi’s men in the east section.” Aj told her as they headed towards the globe room. “Tomorrow we’ll transport some to Winnol.”



“I am worried that because we have not found Dyn or Rem yet this is not over, and I have no Army to protect this place.” Rayne said as he opened the door for her.



“Don’t worry, everyone is helping out, and from what I’ve seen just in the Palace, Dyn doesn’t even have the army anymore to try and take it back.” Aj told her as he took her hand. She lightly smiled at him as they walked up to the globe.



Within a minute they were back in Winnol and walking out of the globe room. Together they walked down the hallway and as they walked passed the guys room the door opened and Kevin walked out.



“There you two are, where did you go?” He asked as the others walked up behind him.



“To see Drisel, check on the Palace.” Aj said.



“You got it back?” Howie asked looking at Rayne.



“Yes.” She said and Aj caught the small smile on her face.



“Nice.” Kevin nodded. “We’re going to go check on Nick want to come?”



“Yeah sure, I’m just going with Rayne to check on her mom first.” Aj said.



“Ok.” Kevin said as the guys walked passed him. As Brian walked passed, he didn’t say anything and neither did Brian. Kevin lightly smiled and then followed his band members down the hall.



“You can go with them, I will be alright.” Rayne said as they walked towards her Mothers room.



“It’s ok.” Aj said too her. “It’s not like the rooms are miles away.”



“It is hard for me to like him but it is also hard for me to hate him.” Rayne said.



“Who, Brian?” Aj said as he stopped in the hallway.



“He does not show me any respect and I understand you are from somewhere else, but your other friends know how to speak to a Princess.” She said to him and a small smile cracked across his face. “He is also responsible for saving my life so throwing him in jail for a couple of hours is rather, rude.” She said as Aj wrapped his arm around her waist.



“Yeah. Rok has that affect on ya.” He said with a light laugh. “Don’t worry about it ok. He’ll get over it, he complains, he moans, and then he moves on.” He smiled at her and she smiled back. He then gently pulled on her waist and they walked up to the bedroom doors.



When Aj opened them he saw a Priest and a couple of bed maids in the room, busy rushing around the room, making sure Queen Halian was taken care of. They heard the doors open and they looked up, when they saw Rayne they stopped what they were doing and bow or curtsied to her.



Aj looked at her when he saw the Priest walking towards them, but her eyes were glued onto her Mom. “How is she?” Aj asked the Priest.



“She is resting, getting back her strength.” The Priest said with a light smile.



“Has she woken up at all?” He asked.



“Not since we left the ship.” The Priest said.



“She was awake?” Rayne asked. “Why did you not come get me?” The Priest looked at her shocked.



“It was only for a moment Milady.” He said to her.



Rayne didn’t say anything as she looked away and walked over to her Mothers bed. Aj gave the Priest a small smile and then followed her. He walked up to her as she sat down on the side of the bed and took her Mom’s hand. Grabbing the chair that was in the corner by the bed, he pulled it over and sat down.



“You ok?” He asked.



“Yes” Rayne said “I am just trying to understand everything that has happened.”



“With your Mom?” He asked.



“With Mother and Drisel being returned to us.” She said with a sigh. “And then there is the fact we do not know if Dyn is alive, and we’re not sure about Nick, or when Nalia will wake up.” Aj frowned as he got up and sat behind her on the bed. He lightly wrapped his arms around her waist and let her lean back against him. They didn’t say anything; he just sat there holding her, glad to at least have each other right now. It didn’t take long for her to fall asleep and he felt himself getting tired as well, so he carefully picked her up and carried her over to the couch. He laid her down, resting her head on the pillow. Grabbing the extra blanket from the back of the couch, he laid it over her and knelt down beside her.



Watching her sleep he thought about Brian, the guys, he thought about his mom, he thought about his old girlfriends and his old friends. He knew he would miss them but as he thought about the future here, with her, he smiled. Slowly leaning over he kissed her gently on the lips making sure he didn’t wake her. Standing up he grabbed the pillow that sat down by her feet and walked over to the chair beside the couch. Sitting down he tucked the pillow under the side of his neck and laid back. Resting his feet in front of him he yawned as he closed his eyes and drifted off to sleep.





“Jig.” He heard someone whisper and it pulled him from his dream. “Jiggity.” Someone softly sang to him as he slowly opened his eyes. “Morning” Nick said smiling as he stood over top of Aj. Quickly Aj stood up and looked at him. “Shh dude, don’t wanna wake them.” Nick said as he pointed to Rayne and her Mom.



“What are you doing here?” Aj whispered as him and Nick quietly walked out of the room. “Are you feeling ok?”



“Yeah, I’m good.” Nick nodded as Aj closed the door gently. “Kind of feels like I slept for a week.” He smiled. “Came to see if you wanted to go for a walk.”



“Sure” Aj shrugged as the two started to head down the hallway.



“So did we win?” Nick asked.



“I think so.” Aj said as they skipped down the steps to the front hallway.



“Think so?” Nick asked confused.



“Well, we got Drisel back, and a good chunk of the Evil’s army has been broken up, but we don’t know where Dyn is.” Aj said as he looked to Nick.



“Yeah Dyn.” Nick nodded. “What a douche.”



“What?” Aj said with a little laugh.



“Come on he was.” Nick said rolling his eyes as they walked out into the city. “He was so jealous of you.”



“Yeah” Aj nodded in agreement.



“Did I at lease kick his ass?” Nick asked.



“Yeah, you could say that.” Aj said as Nick stopped in the middle of the street.



“Cool” Nick nodded. “I wonder what he would have thought about you, if he knew everything that had happened three years ago.”



“What?” Aj said confused.



“Well cause he was jealous of you because Marsa built you up to be this great person.” Nick said turning to him. “But really you were a drunk.” Aj’s face dropped and he clenched his fist as the realization that this wasn’t Nick he was talking to hit him. Then Nick started laughing and it made Aj angrier. “Oh.” Nick said as he stopped his laughter and looked at Aj with a stern look. “I wonder what Rayne would say?”



Aj ran at him but Nick put out his arm and sent out a shadow bolt that dropped Aj to his knees. He grunted in pain as he grabbed his chest. The pain and burning made it hard to breath. Nick’s shadow coming towards him made him look up. His friend stood over top of him with a devilish smile.



“Every memory that is in this head I now know.” Nick said looking at Aj, but Aj knew it wasn’t Nick talking. “Tsk Tsk Tsk Alexander, the things you have done and they call me the Evil. You’ve been bad” Nick said shaking his head with a little giggle. Aj put his leg up to get up, but Nick frowned at him and that was all Aj saw as Nick kicked him in the face.



Aj fell to the dirt road as some guards, who had heard him shout out in pain, came running at Nick. Nick looked behind him as more guards started towards him. He looked down at Aj and lightly smiled, then disappeared into thin air as the guards reached Aj.



“King Alexander, are you alright?” The men said as they carefully picked him up.



“Tell everyone to keep an eye out for Prince Nickolas, he is not allowed in the city.” Aj said as he pulled his hand away from his face and saw the blood on his fingers.



“Sir?” The men said confused.



“You heard me.” Aj said looking at them. “Now go tell the others.”



“Shouldn’t you go to the Springs Sir?” A soldier asked him.



“I’m fine.” Aj said turning around and heading back to the Castle. As he got closer to the giant tree his pace picked up and by the time the guards saw him coming, he was at full stride running into the Castle.



“Aj?” Howie said as he saw Aj book it up the stairs.



“Dude, Nick is missing!” Brian shouted up to him.



“I know!” Aj shouted back as he ran down the hall to the room where Rayne and her Mother were. He opened the doors and flew into the room. Looking to the couch he didn’t see her there, but when he heard her call out to him, he looked to where the bed was.



“Alex?” She said confused.



“You’re here.” He said relieved as he walked over to her.



“What happened to you, why are you bleeding?” She asked worried as gently touched his face.



“Dude, what’s going on?” Kevin asked as the guys walked into the room.



“Nick came in here and woke me up, said he wanted to go for a walk.” Aj said as he tried to catch his breath. “We were outside when he started talking about.” He stopped and looked at Rayne. “He started talking shit and I knew it wasn’t Nick.” Aj said as he looked back to the guys.



“You mean?” Kevin asked.



“Yeah.” Aj nodded. “We started fighting and he kicked me in the face, and then took off.”



“This is just great.” Brian said throwing his arms up. “See I told you this place was trouble, we should have left when we got here.”



“Brian.” Kevin said annoyed.



“Everyone out.” Aj said as he wiped his nose again. They looked at him confused. “Rayne’s Mother is still resting; I’m not fighting with Brian here.” He said as he walked out of the room.



“What if we took him home?” Brian asked.



“What?” Kevin said confused.



“What if we took him home, would that kill this thing?” Brian asked.



“He doesn’t want to go home.” Aj said as he looked at Brian.



“Well I don’t think he wants this either.” Brian snapped. Aj growled at Brian as he brought his hands up in frustration.



“Rayne?” Howie said as they saw her run out of the room and down the hall. Aj dropped his hands and looked over. He stopped his anger at Brian and ran down the hall after her. She opened of the door to Nalia’s room. He stopped when he saw her pull back on the door.



“Leave her alone!” Rayne shouted as she ran inside. Aj started running again when he heard Rayne scream. He ran into the room and saw Rayne on the floor crying with no one else in the room.



“Rayne” Aj said as he jogged over to her and knelt down in front of her.



“He took her.” She said looking up at him. “He took her.” She said again as she started crying. Aj wrapped his arms around her and pulled her against him. He looked up when he heard the guys run in. They stopped and looked around the room, when they saw Nalia wasn’t there they put two and two together.



“We’ll get her back.” Aj said as he looked away from them.











Nick walked down the halls of the Hevi Palace, in the Captial city of Kalica. He was very disappointed he had lost Drisel but he still had a strong hold on this land. Looking down at Nalia he frowned when he saw the bandage on her head. If only she hadn’t jumped in the way but he might not have been able to get a hold of the Warlock had she not saved him. He entered his chambers and walked over to the bed laying her down. He then walked over to his window and opened it. Nick looked out over the city as he thought about what to do next.



First he needed to wake her up. He may be a Warlock, he may look like this Nick but he was still Ignis on the inside. Turning around he looked at Nalia as she slept on the bed, not taking his eyes off her, he walked over and sat down beside her. Gliding his hand over her forehead, over the bandage on her head, he said nothing and waited. A couple of seconds later Nalia began to moan as her head turned.



“Nali?” Nick said as he brushed her cheek.



“Nick?” She mumbled as she started to wake up.



“Yeah it’s me.” He said as she opened her eyes. She looked around and quickly sat up. “Careful.” He said as he took her by the arms.



“We, we are in Hevi?” Nalia said confused.



“Yeah we are.” Nick said laughing. “Told you I would get you home.” He said with a light smile.



“How?” Nalia asked.



“It was intense.” Nick said with a sigh as he stood up off the bed. “After you knocked me down, I went over to help Aj and while I was doing that Dyn went after you. We started fighting on the ship and I drained him.”



“You did what?” Nalia asked as she sat up.



“I drained him, took every last breath from his body, and took the last beat from his heart.” Nick said with a small smile.



“Then it is over.” She said as a small smile came over her.



“Over, no just getting started.” Nick said smiling.



“What do you mean?” She asked confused.



“Well I’ve kind of had a change of heart.” Nick said as she got up from the bed. “I’ve realized I really care about this place, and having someone like Alex in charge is just wrong.” Nick said as Nalia looked at him stunned.



“Nick?” Nalia said looking at him with confusion.



“Nali, you don’t know what he’s done. The people he’s hurt, and he does it all the time.” Nick said raising his hands in the air a little. “He’s going to hurt Rayne and you don’t want that do you.”



“No,” Nalia said but she wasn’t saying no to Nick’s question, she realized it wasn’t exactly Nick.



“He’s no good Nali, he can’t handle pressure, if he snaps and goes back to the way he use to be, Pixcadia will suffer.” He said as he walked away from her. Slowly not taking her eyes off him she reached down and pulled a dagger from her ankle boot. Carefully she stood back up and looked at Nick as her heart began to shatter. “You should talk to Rayne.” Nick said as he placed his hands on the back of the couch.



“Yes, I think I will.” She said as she took a couple of steps forward. As he turned around she stepped into his arms and jabbed the dagger into his gut. Nick groaned in pain as he bent over. Nalia pulled the dagger out as she stepped back, tears dripping down her cheeks.



Nick stood up and grabbed on to her shoulder, he looked at her with anger, and she tried to pull away but his grip was strong. He let the spell flow from his fingers and it soaked into her and returned to him. Nalia moaned in pain as the spell ran through her.



“He may have been ignorant to the power of a Warlock but I am not.” He hissed angrily at her. He threw her to the floor and she gasped in pain, grabbing her shoulder. “I tried to be nice about this.” He huffed as he grabbed the dagger from her hand.



Slowly she sat up and looked at him, half crying in pain, half crying for him. He stared at her for a moment and then looked down at his robe. Nick unbutton it half way and then opened it up reveling his stomach and where she had stabbed him. There was no wound there, only some blood. Looking quickly at her shoulder she had realized what he had done, drained her to heal himself. When she looked up at him he winked at her.



“Thanks babe.” He said and turned around, clipping his robe back up as he walked out of the room.









Rayne sat in her room, on her bed, in Drisel. Alex and his friends were still fighting, she needed to get away, and clear her head. Standing up she walked over to the window and unlocked it, then pushed it open.



The sun was high in the sky and she looked down when she heard some men shouting. It was nice to see friendly people on the streets again. The soldiers were in good spirits, they had pushed back the Evil’s Army; regain a major city and fighting hold to move forward against Kalica.



“We need to move forward.” She said to herself as she sat on the ledge. “We need to deal with Nick.” Sighing she looked out the window. “How can we deal with the Evil and do it without killing Nick.” Laying her head against the windowsill she looked up at the sky.



“Killing Nick?” She heard Aj say and it startled her; she jumped a little as she looked over at him.



“I was just talking to myself.” She said as he walked over to her. “Trying to think of a way to save Nick.” She said as he sat down on the sill in front of her.



“What are you doing here?” He asked.



“Too hard to think with all the yelling.” She said as she looked out the window.



“I’m sorry.” Aj said as he took her hand.



“It is not your fault Alex.” She said forcing a smile. “I understand his frustration and anger; I just wish he would keep it to himself.”



“You’re not alone my dear.” Aj said as he softly kissed the back of her hand. She lightly laughed as he wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed her.



“Howie, you owe me five bucks.” Kevin said as the two quickly pulled away. They looked over to the door and saw Kevin, Brian and Howie standing there, staring at them. Kevin had his hand out in front of Howie. “Pay up.” Kevin said looking at him.



“Sorry, left my wallet on Earth.” Howie said as he walked passed him.



“IOU then.” Kevin said as he sat down in a chair. “Place hasn’t changed much.” He said looking around as Aj looked at Rayne apologetically.



“Did you tell her?” Brian asked.



“No” Aj said looking over at him annoyed.



“Tell me what?” She asked as she looked from Brian to Aj.



“While Brian was yelling at me, I was looking through one of the books I borrowed from the Council.” Aj told her as Brian huffed at his comment. “It was a book about the Guardians, a collection of fables I guess. I recognized one of the areas the book described as the place where the Adamni conjured the Elemental.”



“I am not sure I follow.” Rayne said a little confused.



“I think Adamni was a Guardian.” Aj said to her. “If we can find the spot where he fought and conjured the Elemental, maybe we can find a clue about the tale.”



“Do you know where it is?” She asked.



“No, that’s why I came to get you.” He smiled. “Maybe if you read the two descriptions you can figure out the area.” Aj said.



“It’s a start.” Kevin said as he looked around.



“Alright” Rayne said with a nod. Everyone filled out of the room and returned to the globe room. They all placed their hands on the globe and watched as the smoke rose around them. It was becoming second nature for the guys to travel by these things.



Rayne followed Alex and he led her down to the Meeting room. Avit was there with Rossi waiting for them. She walked over to the desk and sat down in the chair in front of it. Looking around she watched as Alex’s friends all found a place to sit. She could see the concern and worry on their faces for their friend, for their brother.



“Here.” She heard Aj say and she looked up. He was standing in front of her holding a book out for her. It was opened to a page around the middle of the book. She took it from him and stated reading it.



“I do not recognize that place any where here in Winnol.” Avit said as she scanned over the words.



“Whisper Falls.” Rayne said as she quickly looked up.



“That be in Kalica.” Rossi said looking to Avit.



“You are sure Princess.” Avit asked her.



“Yes, I recognize the area from when I was younger, when Father, Mother and I would visit Nalia and her family.” Rayne looked down as a wave of emotion came over her as thought about her friend, her sister. “How is Evia?” Rayne asked.



“She is sitting with your Mother right now, she hasn’t said much.” Aj said to her. It made her frown as she looked down at the book.



“When do we leave?” She asked looking at Aj.



“Leave?” Aj said.



“To go to the falls, see what is there.” Rayne said.



“Kalica is still crawling with the Enemy.” Rossi said to her. “How do yee suppose you will get in there?”



“Whisper Falls is three hours from the Capital I doubt he would have men out that far, especially with what has happened.” Rayne said frustrated.



“I don’t see how any of this will help Nick.” Brian said.



“The Tale, the word of Pixca, if it really is written down, then it might tell us how to destroy the Evil.” Rayne said to him. “If you would stop complaining and pay attention then maybe you would.”



Rayne sighed in frustration as she turned and walked out of the room. She walked out from behind the stairs and headed through the hallway. As the guards opened the doors for her she heard Aj call out to her but she ignored him as she walked out into the city. When she heard him running up behind her, she cleared her mind but kept walking, she heard Aj shout and the fluttering of wings. Quickly looking over her shoulder she saw Aj running back into the Castle as a flock of birds chased after him. Looking ahead she kept walking, where she didn’t know, or cared.







“Close the damn doors!” Aj shouted as he ran in swatting at his head. The guards quickly closed the doors over and the birds could be heard hitting and squawking behind them.



“What was that?” Howie asked shocked.



“That was Rayne telling me she’s pissed.” Aj said as he shot Brian an evil glare and walked back into the meeting room.



“Why is she mad at me?” Brian scoffed as he walked into the meeting room behind everyone else.



That did it, Aj couldn’t take it anymore. He spun around and walked up too Brian. His face was inches from Brian’s and he stared him right in the eyes. “Maybe it’s because you bash her home every chance you get, maybe it’s because you don’t treat her with respect or maybe it’s because you’re a prick!” Aj shouted.



“Yeah well maybe I have a damn right to be a prick, you ass.” Brian shouted back.



“Enough!” Kevin yelled as he got between the two. Aj walked away and went to the other side of the room as Brian and Kevin bickered. When he felt someone come up beside him he looked up and saw Avit standing there.



“What do you want to do Sir?” Avit asked.



Aj took a deep breath. “I think she’s right. I think Nick, I mean the Evil is going to pull in his army in Kalica, hold base there until he figures out what to do next.”



“When did you want to leave?” His General asked.



“I would like to talk her into waiting until morning.” Aj said. “Make sure the army has had enough time to pull out. Plus with the last couple of days we have had, I think we all need a rest.”



Avit nodded and Aj turned around looking at his friends. He put his hand over his mouth and wiped his lips as he thought about everything. Pulling it away as Kevin walked over to him he folded his arms in front of him.



“What’s up?” Aj asked with a nod.



“Taking him to his room.” Kevin said rolling his eyes. Aj couldn’t help but smile.



“We’re going to chill tonight and leave for the falls in the morning.” Aj told him.



“Cool, I’m down with that.” Kevin nodded.



Aj lightly smiled as he stood up straighter and put his arm at his sides. “I need to go find Rayne let her know what’s going on.”



Aj said goodbye to everyone as he left the room, walked out of the Castle, and through the city. He wasn’t even sure where to look first for her but he figured the fountain was a good a place as any. When he got there he was disappointed to see she wasn’t. He made his way to the Magic Fields but she wasn’t there either. As he walked passed these two ladies who were selling flowers on the side of the street he stopped.



“Have you seen Princess Rayne?” He asked.



“Yes Milord.” The one woman said with a curtsy. “She was over by the Gryphon tower.”



“Thank you.” Aj said with a light bow but inside he was panicing. As he quickly made his way towards the towers he started thinking that she took off, already headed to Whisper Falls. He headed down the streets that lead right to the Towers and he found himself running to them as they came into sight. Quickly he skipped up the Tower steps and ran out the door. He looked around at the birds and the Caretaker that had looked up from brushing one of the Gryphons.



“Did Princess Rayne come here?” He asked the caretaker as he tried to catch his breath.



“I am right here.” She said from behind him. He spun around and saw her sitting on one of the benches on the viewing platform.



“I thought you left.” He sighed as he walked over to her.



“To the Falls?” She asked.



“Yeah.” Aj nodded as he sat down beside her.



“Well I am mad but not that mad.” She said “I am trying my best to help him, to help Nick and it is not good enough.”



“It is Rayne. He’s just really worried about Nick and when he gets like that he becomes as cranky as a two year old.” Aj said taking her hand.



Rayne softly laughed. He always could make her laugh no matter what kind of mood she was in and it would help her relax about the situation. “So what are we going to do?”



“We” Aj said as he wrapped his arm around her. “Are going to sit right here.” She laid her head on his shoulder as she rested her hand on his stomach. “Tomorrow we’ll go to Kalica. Right now we all need a break.”



“What about Nalia?” Rayne asked as she felt Aj kiss her forehead.



“Well I don’t think the Evil will hurt her yet and even then what can he do if she’s unconscious.” Aj said as she sighed hoping he was right.
Chapter 15 by VeeLynn

                                    The Guardian Crusade

                              Volume I

 

                                                            Chapter 15

 

Nalia laid in the bed under the blankets as she listened to the silence of the hallway outside.  There hadn’t been a sound for about half an hour but she wanted to give it a few more minutes just to make sure.  She knew this Palace like the back of her hand, she knew the hidden hallways, the hidden paths through the city and she was confident she would get out of here.  Her eyes started to tear up as she thought about Nick and who he now was.  She didn’t know what had happened, how he ended up like this but right now she didn’t care.  What she did care about was getting out of here.  It would be a long walk to Sarila but she knew she could walk it.

 

After some time had passed since she had last heard anyone in the hall, she slowly crawled out of her bed and walked over to the wall.  Sliding her hand up the wall she waited until her finger tips felt it.  She slid them across the wall left and right, up and down, and then as she brought her hand in front of her she felt it.  The small sliver of a line going down the wall became clearer when her fingers hand found it.  She turned her body and bumped her hip against it, the door clicked and popped open. Quietly she stepped into the dark, musky, and small hallway.  Slowly she closed the door behind her and then cursed as the hallway went dark.  She placed her hands on the walls beside her and carefully began to make her way down the hall.  It had been a while since she had been behind the walls of the Palace.  Rayne and her were always getting in to trouble for running around in them when they were little.

 

When she came to a gap in the wall she squinted her eyes to get a better look around the corner.  She then looked down the hallway in front of her and mapped out where she was in the Palace.  Stopping in the middle of the hallway she knelt down and gently hovered her hand over the ground.  She could feel a light breeze along her fingers and knew then that she was close to the secret door in the back of the Palace.   Slowly she stepped down the hall, when she saw that the hall was completely black, she reached out and touched the door in front of her.  A light smile came across her face as the thought of almost being out of here crossed her mind, and she reached out for the hook on the door, pulling it open. 

 

With one foot she stepped onto the stone stairs, still to dark to see much, she kept her hand on the wall as she got her footing in the narrow staircase.  Closing the door behind her she began to descend down the stairs.  Her heart began to beat fast as she walked down towards the bottom of the stairs.  She tripped up a little not realizing she was at the bottom already and reached for the wall catching herself.  Nalia froze wondering if anyone had heard her stumble.  After a moment, when she figured it was safe, she grabbed the hook on the door and pulled it open a crack.  She peered out of the small opening she had made and looked around at the open area behind the Palace.  Opening the space more she stuck her head out and looked down the back wall of her old home.  No one was around, so she took a deep breath and then dashed out of the door and ran as fast as she could across the lawn.

 

As she approached the large stone wall the wrapped around the entire city.  She heard shouting behind her and her instincts told her to drop to the ground and she did.  Slowly she turned around and looked.  She could hear men shouting but off in a distance.  Quickly she looked around for an opening to the forest outside of the Palace wall.  A bright light made her lay low to the grass again.  She looked up and saw a large bright light illuminating the sky above her. Holding her breath she watched as a Priests holy light spell lit up the sky so the soldiers could search. 

 

Again she looked around and thanks to the light saw the small door in the middle of the stone wall.  She looked back to the Palace as another Holy Light spell went up, closer to her this time.  With another deep breath she jumped up and headed for the door.

 

“I see her!!” Someone shouted from behind her and the voice made her run faster.  Violently she tugged on the door as she stopped dead in front of it.  It wouldn’t open and she quickly looked back as the guards coming out from beside the Palace ran towards her.  She looked back at the door and tried to pull harder.  Then a purple explosion from beside her knocked her to the ground.  Quickly she shook it off and looked back.  She saw Nick running with the guards as they approached her.  Taking a couple of steps back as she stood up, Nalia took one last look at Nick and then too the door.  Closing her eyes she set off the rage in her body and ran at the door.  It splintered and shattered around her as she burst through it.  She didn’t stop where she came out, she just kept running.  Through the trees, bushes, and through the forest she ran, until she collapsed to the ground exhausted.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Aj waved the smoke away from his face as it drifted to the floor.  He looked around the room and didn’t see the dwarf guards he had seen the day before.  He didn’t see anyone in the room as he stepped off the pedestal and over to the large doors. 

 

Aj had woken up about a half hour ago.  Rayne was already up and figuring she was getting ready for breakfast, he had a bath and got ready himself but when he got downstairs for Breakfast Avit told him Rayne had been up for a few hours now and was at the Drisel Palace.  So he decided to skip breakfast for now and go see what she was up too.

 

He pulled the doors towards him, closing them as he stood in the Palace hallway.  Aj stopped in the foyer when he saw the men and woman cleaning the floor, walls, and ceiling.  They were human, all of them and when they saw him they stopped and bowed.  He lightly smiled as he started walking again, not sure where he was suppose to go. He looked around him as the people worked with vigor as they rebuilt their home.  Aj looked around, he had never been farther than this hallway, he didn’t even know if there were stairs, or where they were.

 

“Excuse me, King Alexander?” a soft voice said from behind him.  He turned around and saw a small woman looking up at him.  “If you are looking for Milady, she is in her meeting room.”

 

“Ok, thank you.” Aj said with a light smile and nod.  The lady bowed to him and walked away.  “Great, now where’s that?” he asked himself as he looked around.  The walls were the same height as the walls in the tree castle, but the hallways were much wider.  He looked to his left when he heard people talking and saw two men walk around the corner.  Aj walked towards them and as he got closer he found the stairs.  With a little triumphant smile and cheer to himself he made his way down.   

 

Making his way down to the Palace entry he looked around as guards and people walked in and out of hallways, doors and from giant front door that led to the city.  The floor was made of marble although most of it was cracked and chipped.  The walls were a thick smooth stone and large stone pillars held up the stone ceiling above him.  When he looked to his left he saw two large doors, they had caught his eye when he was coming down the stairs.  Large blue marble doors, with a silver lion’s head in the middle of them, sat closed with two guards beside them.

 

“Have you seen Princess Rayne?” Aj asked the Elvaan two guards.

 

“Yes sir.” They said with a nod.  “She is in there.” The one Elvaan nodded at the doors.  He went to open them but the guard had already reached the handle and started pulling open the door.  With a light smile to them he walked into the room.

 “Hey.” Aj said when he heard the door click close behind him.  She didn’t say anything, she didn’t flinch or look up, she just sat there.  “Rayne?” Aj said as he stepped forward.  Startled she looked up at him and then lightly smiled.

 

“Hello.” She said as she stood up.

 

“Seems like a good read.” Aj said nodding to the papers.

 

“Pardon?” Rayne said confused.  Aj nodded to the papers again and she looked down at them.  “Oh, yes, it is the report from Avit, on how Dyn escaped.

 

“Oh.” Aj said wondering why he didn’t get it.

 

“I saw Avit this morning before I came here, he gave it too me.” She said as her eyes drifted down to the paper.

 

“What does it say?” Aj asked.

 

“The Spy does not remember a thing.” Rayne told him.  “He remembers watching the Palace and then that is all until he was inside the jail cell.” 

 

“Do you think he is lying?” Aj asked.

 

“No, the Elvaan spies are many things but a traitor they are not.” She said with a sigh.  “I think it was magic, magic conjured by the evil, some how he controlled the spy to free Dyn.” Rayne told him.

 

“Must have been pissed when Dyn changed the plan on him.” Aj said finding it almost amusing.  He waited for Rayne to flash him a smile but when she didn’t he wondered if he should of brought up that night at all.  “So are you hungry?” Aj asked changing the subject.

 

“A little.” She said with a shrug.

 

“Excuse me, Milady?” a voice said from behind them.

 

“Yes Starla?” Ranye asked as Aj turned to look at the woman at the door.  He lightly smiled when he saw it was the woman from before.

 

“Some people have been talking and wondering when the Sarila Guardians will be back in running order. Some of them would like to sign up.” Starla said.

 

“I am not sure, more things to worry about then getting the Sarila Guards together again.” Rayne said as Aj turned and looked at her funny.  When she didn’t say anything he looked back to the woman, who was looking at her just as confused.  “Is there anything else Starla?” Rayne asked as she gathered up the papers in front of her.

 

“No that is all for now Milady.” She said with a nod.

 

“Alright thank you.” Rayne said with a light smile and nod.  As the woman left the room Aj turned back around and look at Rayne.

 

“What was that about?” Aj asked.

 

“What was what?” she asked him as she looked up.

 

“More things to worry about than getting your Guards together?” Aj asked as he raised his eyebrow at her.  “You just got this place back you want you lose it again?”

 

“We are still sorting out who is with the Evil and who is not; I can not trust anyone to guard my life right now but myself.” Rayne said as she picked up the papers.

 

“But you should get some together, to guard and stuff.” Aj said as she walked around the table.

 

“And the Tokia and Winnol guards are doing just fine.” Rayne told him.

 

“Until we go to war again and need them, just put a couple together, to guard the city and the Palace.” Aj said as she walked up beside him.  “You can’t wait until you’ve interrogated everyone.”

 

“And why not?” Rayne asked him.  “I knew a man all my life and he turned on me and my Father in a heart beat, why should I trust any of these people.” She said angrily at him.

 

Aj was about to answer but the sound of the door flying open caused them both to turn around and look.  They saw Avit standing at the door, a little out of breath, and for a moment Aj’s heart raced wondering what he had to say, what had happen now.

 

“Avit?” Aj said looking at him a little confused.

 

“She is awake Princess and wishes to see you.” Avit said looking at Rayne.  Aj watched as all of the anger on her face washed away. Quickly she looked at him and he lightly smiled, taking her hand and led her to Avit.

 

“How is she?” Rayne asked as they left the meeting room and headed towards the stairs.

 

“She is a little confused on what happened and wants to see you.” Avit told her. 

 

They traveled back to Winnol via the globes and made their way down the hall.  There were people in the hallway but they didn’t say much as they watched the three walk towards Halian’s room.  When they approached the door Rayne stopped and Aj turned and looked at her.  She was staring at the door.

 

“Rayne?” Aj said but she didn’t say anything.  He then looked at Avit. “Tell her she’ll be right there.”  Avit nodded and headed inside, Aj then turned his attention back to Rayne.  “Sweetheart?” he said as he placed his hands on her arms.

 

“What do I tell her?” Rayne asked as her eyes filled with tears.  Aj took a deep breath and slid his hands down her arms.

 

“You tell her it wasn’t her fault, she was being controlled, but now she is safe back with you.” Aj told her.  He watched as she took a deep breath and he took her hand. “Come on.” He said with a light nod to the door.  They walked over to the door, Aj opened it and they walked in.  He felt her squeeze his hand when they walked in and saw her mother sitting on the edge of the bed talking to a Priest.

 

Halian looked up and Aj saw a joyful smile come over her face when she saw Rayne.  He looked at Rayne standing beside him as she let go of his hand and took a step forward.  The people started to walk out of the room, even Avit and soon it was just the three of them.  When her mother stood up, Rayne quickly ran over to her.

 

“Sit please.” Rayne said as she lightly grabbed her mother.

 

“Oh, Rayne I am fine.” She said with a light smile as she sat back down.  Aj felt a little weird being there.  “I am more worried about you.” She said.

 

“Me?” Rayne said a little shocked.

 

“I remember.” Halian said.  “What I did to you, in the hallway.” 

 

“It was the Evil mother, it was not you, I know that.” Rayne said.

 

“But I still remember, it was still my eyes that saw you..” She stopped herself and looked down. 

“I am ok now.” Rayne said as she hugged her.  Aj lightly smiled when he saw Halian look at him as she hugged her daughter.

 

“Thanks to you.” She said as she slowly pulled away from Rayne not taking her eyes off of him.

 

“Actually it was more Brian.” Aj said with a light laugh.

 

“That time yes, but all those times before, you protected her when I or her..” Halian stopped and Aj watched as the woman’s face fell.  “Oh Adop.” She closed her eyes as a tear fell from her eye. “I am so sorry.”

 

Aj felt himself get emotional as he watched Rayne pull her mother into another hug as they both began to cry.  He stood there awkwardly for a moment and even thought about going outside to see Avit but instead he found himself staring at the ground.

 

“And I am sorry to you Alexander.” Halian said as she pulled away from Rayne.  “I was the one that allowed Dyn to poison Marsa.”  Aj froze he knew Dyn was behind it but he didn’t really know she was too.

 

“It wasn’t you.” Aj said with a light shake of his head. “Don’t need to apologize.”  Halian lightly smiled at him and looked back to Rayne.  “But I should thank you too.” Aj said quickly and both Rayne and Halian looked at him confused.  “Your book, with all your notes about the Mage talent, it really helped me a lot.”

 

“Oh.” Halian said completely forgetting about her book.  “Is that how you summoned the Elemental?”

 

“Yeah.” Aj nodded. “Found the secret pocket in the back of the book, with the notes in it.” Aj said “You were right; The Guardian Mage is the one who summons it.”

 

“So that means Adamai was a Guardian.” Halian said and Aj nodded at her.

 

“There was a fight between Adamai and some army; the place the story describes resembled a place that was mentioned in the Book of Guardians.” Aj said.

 

“The Fables?” Halian said.

 

“We do not think they are Mother.” Rayne said.  “Do you have any of his memories?”

 

“No.” Halian said.  “I do not know what he wanted, or what his motives are, I just saw all the things he had done.” She said sadly.  “Made me do.”

 

“Well he can not make you do anything more.” Rayne said as Halian looked back at her.  Aj watched as Rayne’s Mom smiled at her and the two hugged again.  Just then there was a knock at the door and Aj turned around and walked over to answer it.

 

“The ships from Drisel have arrived.” Avit said.

 

“Good and the prisoner camps are set up on the magic fields for now?” Aj asked.

 

“Yes Sir.” Avit said with a nod.

 

“Are you almost ready to head to the Lake?” Aj asked Avit.

 

“Yes Sir, I have five men coming with us, along with your friends and Princess Rayne.” Avit said but he was interrupted.

 

“Queen.” Halian said correcting him.  Aj turned around and looked at her a little confused.  “Her Father is dead, the land has been returned to her, it is time she took back what is hers.”

 

“Aren’t you Queen though?” Aj asked still confused.

 

“No, the Royal blood line is on her Fathers side, and it stays on that side.” Halian said as Aj looked at Rayne.

 

“It can wait Mother, we must get Nalia back, and end the Evil.” Rayne told her.

 

“But they should still address you as such.” Halian said to her.

 

“It is fine Mother, much more important things to worry about.” Rayne said as she stood up.  “Like you getting some rest.” 

 

Aj watched as Rayne’s Mother lightly smiled at her and let her daughter tuck her into bed.  He nodded for Avit to join him outside of the room and let the too talk for a minute.  Lightly closing the door behind him Aj turned and looked at Avit.

 

“Do you have a time on when we will be going?” Aj asked.

 

“In about an hour we can head out, once the prisoners from the ships have been settled into the camps.”  Avit said

 

“Alright, then we’ll meet in the globe room?” Aj said as a couple of servants walked into Halian’s room.

 

“Yes Sir.” Avit said with a nod. 

 

“Excuse me.” A woman said from beside them and both men turned and looked.

 

“Elder Rexil.” Avit said a little shocked. Aj noticed he quickly turned to him.  “King Alexander, this is Elder Rexil, she is the Head Cleric for the Druid order.” He looked at her as she lightly smiled at him, she was tall and slender, her hair was chocolate brown, straight, and braided behind her ears.  Her long pointed Elvaan ears had many earrings decorating them. He looked into her dark brown eyes as she began to speak.

 

“It is an honor my Majesty and I am sorry I could not meet you sooner.” She said with a light bow.

 

“Nice to meet you too.” Aj said as the door to Halian’s room opened.  The three in the hallway turned and looked as Rayne came out of the room.

 

“Elder Rexil.” Rayne said a little shocked as she stopped in front of the door.

 

“Princess Rayne.” The Elder said and Aj picked up on the hostility in her voice.  “The Clerics wish to meet you, we have heard you have hit the last stage of your Druidism.” She said and Aj could still hear the hostility in her voice.

 

“I see.” Rayne said with a nod.  “Shall I go now?”

 

“Whenever you have time Milady.” The woman said with a light bow, and that time Aj caught the sarcastic tone.

 

“Sorry I’m kind of new here, so tell me.” Aj said as the Elder looked at him. “Do the Clerics hold a higher ranking over a Princess?” He asked.

 

“No Sir.” Elder Rexil said looking at him confused.

 

“Oh, ok, I was just wondering thought I heard some dislike towards Princess Rayne in your voice.” Aj said looking at her and he saw her face quickly drop, then return to the proud manor it was in just seconds ago.

 

“I assure you, King Alexander, it is an honor for the Clerics to have Princess Rayne, a Guardian in our ranks.” She said with a light smile.

 

“Glad to hear it.” Aj said with a light nod.  “How about I walk you?” Aj asked looking at Rayne.  She lightly smiled as he held out his arm for her and she took it. 

 

“You did not have to say anything.” Rayne said as they walked away from the Elder and Avit.

 

“So you picked up on it too?” Aj asked.

 

“I am use to it.” Rayne said with a light smile.

 

“You mean it’s not the first time she’s talked to you like that?” Aj asked.

 

“Her and other..” Rayne paused. “Other Elvaans.”

 

“Because you’re human.” Aj said remembering what Avit said to him.

 

“Yes.” She nodded.  “I guess I can tolerate it more because there’s never been a human druid before.”

 

“Well it’s going to stop.” Aj said as they walked down the stairs.  “You should be respected because you’re special.”

 

“You think I am special.” Rayne said with a light laugh, as the guards opened the front doors for them.

 

“I don’t think, I know.” He said with a light smile.  She softly laughed as she laid her head on his arm.

 

 

 

Nalia felt something wet hit her face and it jerked her from her dream.  Trying desperately to get back to her dream, to get back to Nick, her mind slipped her back into her sleep but then she was awoken again by another wet splatter.  Slowly her eyes opened and she lifted her head.  Looking around she saw trees and leaves, she heard the wind gently blowing the loose leaves on the ground across the forest. Another drop hit her head and she looked up through the trees, as a light drizzle fell onto her.   

 

Remembering what had happened back in the castle she quickly sat up and looked around.  She listened for any signs of the Evils men, she looked around for any signs of his men, and she slowly stood up the longer she was there in silence.  Looking around she tried to get her bearings on where she was.  She knew where the back of Palace was, she knew which direction she was headed in.  She looked around and found the sun and figured out which way was North.

 

“I should go to the old cottage, maybe I can find some supplies to get me too Sarila.” Nalia said as she started walking.  She kept her focus making sure her mind didn’t wander back to Nick, what had happened to him, what she had done to him.  The more her mind tried not to think about him, the more it did.  Their first date, their first kiss, the first time he spent the night in her bed, the way he made her laugh, and feel.  She lightly smiled as the picture of him looking back at her with his eyebrow raised drifted through her head.

 

Soon she looked up through the trees and saw she was starting to loose the sun.  Stopping she looked around and listened.  A small smile came across her face when she heard the splash of the falls off in the distance.  Looking around she recognized where the noise was coming from and headed in that direction.

 

As she approached the opening to the Lake she saw something move on the other side.  Quickly she knelt down and made her way to the forest edge.  Looking out across the Lake she saw her parent’s old cottage, where they spent many summers with Rayne’s family and sometimes Marsa would come out with his.  There were Gryphon’s resting by the water, and there were lights, or lantern shadows dancing around the window.

 

“Damn it.” She whispered but how did Nick know to look for her hear.  Looking to her right she mapped out a plan to walk around the Lake.  She had hoped to swim across, which would have been quicker, but now, it would make to much noise, and she would be seen easier. 

 

Nalia started stepping back when she saw the front door to the cottage open and she froze staring at it waiting to see who came out.  Her heart began to race when she saw Rayne walk out and make her way down to the Lake.  Quickly Nalia got up and burst out from the tree line.

 

Rayne!!” She shouted as loud as she could as she ran for the Lake.  As she shouted for Rayne again she saw her friend look up.  Nalia dove into the water and began swimming as fast as she could.  It was a long swim but she could do it, she’s done it before. She pushed herself, kicking her legs hard as she swam towards Rayne and the cottage.

 

“Nalia!” Rayne shouted from above her and she quickly stopped.  Looking up as she brushed the water and hair from her face she saw Rayne hovering over her on a Gryphon.  She reached up as Rayne extended a hand to her and the two girls worked hard on getting Nalia up onto the giant bird.  When Nalia was safely on board Rayne turned the Gryphon around and headed back to the cottage.  By then everyone was standing on the Lake’s edge waiting for the two girls.

 

“Princess Nalia how did you escape?” Avit asked relieved.

 

“I know that place well Avit, I almost got caught though.” She said as she jumped down from the Gryphon.

 

“What’s Nick doing?” Brian asked her as he rushed up to her. “Is he ok?”

 

“He is not Nick anymore.” Nalia said sadly.

 

“We know.” Rayne said from beside her and she looked at her.  “That is why we are here, to find a way to stop the Evil and help Nick.” Rayne said to her.

 

“Here?” Nalia said confused.

 

“Let’s get her dried off, get something to eat, and rest up a bit while we fill her in.” Kevin said as everyone looked at her.

 

“Sounds like a plan.” Aj said with a nod.  Nalia lightly smiled as everyone began walking to the cottage.  She didn’t know why they were here, but she was glad they were.  Nalia stopped as everyone walked through the cottage door.  Slowly she turned around and looked back in the direction of the Palace.  She took a deep breath as a tear slipped down her cheek.

 

“We will save him.” Rayne said from beside her.

 

“Can we?” Nalia asked.  “How do we get the Evil out of him, will he be ok if we do?” She asked.

 

“I do not know how to separate the Evil from Nick, but I know he will be ok.” Rayne said as she put her hand on her friends arm.  “My Mother is alright, and Nick will be too.”

 

“Your Mother?” Nalia said confused.

 

“She is alive, she is in Winnol.” Rayne said with a smile.  “She was not dead when Johon found her in Pomic, he kept her alive.  It jumped from Mother to Dyn when we were out on the ships, then it jumped from Dyn to Nick when they were fighting.”

 

“So that is why Dyn was alive?” Nalia said remembering back to when they came up to the ships.  Rayne nodded.  “Is he alive now, Dyn?” Nalia asked.

 

“No, he is not, we think he jumped to Dyn after finding him dead out in the ocean on their way to Winnol.”  Nalia took a deep breath; it was a lot to take in.  “Come on; let’s get you to the fire.” Rayne said with a light smile.  Nalia lightly smiled back as her and Rayne headed into the cottage.

 

                                                           

Chapter 16 by VeeLynn

                                    The Guardian Crusade

                              Volume I

 

                                                            Chapter 16

 

Aj laid in the large bed that sat in one of the rooms of the cottage.  Avit and Kevin agreed to keep a look out as the others slept.  His left arm was tucked under his pillow, his right arm draped over him and the blankets tucked under the arm.  Slowly he felt himself starting to wake up, he listened but there was no noise, his eyes opened a little wider and he turned his head listening to see if something woke him up. 

 

A minute later he slowly rolled over and as he did he saw Rayne sleeping beside him.  Her face still and peaceful, he could tell she was in a deep sleep.  Her curly hair hung over her face and he slid his fingers through it gently as he brushed the loose pieces behind her ear.  He thought about that morning, how the Elder had treated her, how she felt about the way people treated her because she was a Human Druid.  He didn’t realize the talent was exclusive. 

 

There was so much about this place and her he was learning about.  Who is Pixca? Does she ever show up? Or does she stay away like his God does.  Why did they forget everything about the Guardians, why does this Evil always come back?

 

His fingers gently brushed down her cheek as he thought about the first night they spent together, the nights after that, and how every time before she drifted off to sleep he wanted to tell her that he loved her.  But every time he stopped himself, not wanting her to be like the others, not wanting to rush what they had.  Even though everything in him told him, this time it was ok. 

 

As his fingers reached her neck, his eyes darted to her lips as a thought crossed his mind.  Maybe since she was sleeping, he could say it.  He would still be saying it to her, but no one would be around to hear it.  Closing his eyes he slowly leaned in and gently kissed her on the lips, making sure he didn’t wake her. 

 

Sluggishly he pulled away. “I love you.” He whispered as he opened his eyes.

 

“Aww” A voice said from across the room and Aj sat up quickly.  “So, so touching Alex really.” The voice said.  Aj looked across the room, to the corner that was cloaked in shadow.  He saw someone move and come into the light.  “I’m sorry; did I ruin your mojo?”

 

“How did you get in here?” Aj asked as he quickly looked back to Rayne as she rolled over in her sleep.

 

“How do I do anything Jiggity, I’m me.” Nick said with a smile.  He then looked over at Rayne as she slept on the bed.  “Seriously dude, you should mix it up a little, don’t you get tired of them looking the same all the damn time?”

 

“You don’t know shit.” Aj said as he stepped off the bed towards Nick.

 

“Don’t I?” Nick said with a sly smile.  “Hey Rayne!” Nick shouted and it made Aj jump.  He quickly looked over to the bed and saw Rayne slowly sitting up.  “That a girl, get up.” Nick said as her head snapped up at him.  She then quickly looked at Alex who was standing by the bed.

 

“I’m here so the three of us can take a little stroll down memory lane.” Nick said as he looked from Rayne to Aj. 

 

Aj didn’t give him a chance to answer as he lunged for Nick trying to throw a punch at him.  He felt himself stumble as Nick grabbed his arm and swung him around the room, sending him crashing into the table and chairs, across from the bed.

 

“Alex!” He heard Rayne shout as he hit the floor.  He grunted in pain as he slowly got up to his knees.

 

“Oh, Alex!” Nick said mockingly and Aj looked under his arm and saw Nick holding Rayne.  Quickly Aj got to his feet and looked at his friend as Rayne struggled to get away.

 

“Let her go.” Aj said gritting through his teeth.

 

“Let her go?” Nick scoffed.  “Dude that’s so Hollywood.” Nick paused for a moment, he looked down at Rayne and as a sadistic smile came across Nick’s face, he looked back to Aj. “Do you know what Molia is Alex?”  Aj didn’t say anything, he didn’t know what it was and he really didn’t care. “I’ll take that as a no.”  He then looked down at Rayne. “Do you know what Molia is Rayne?”  Aj watched as she slowly nodded.  “Of course you do, why don’t you tell Alex what it is.”  Rayne didn’t say anything as she looked at Aj, her eyes showed she was very confused.  “Tell him!” Nick hissed as he lightly shook her.  She grunted in pain as he squeezed her arm, Alex took a step forward.

 

“Uh-ah Alex, not a good idea.” Nick said eyeing Rayne.  He then looked down at her.  “Go ahead babe tell him.”

 

“Molia is.” She stopped and took a breath.  “Molia is a plant, people cut it up and they eat it” She stopped.

 

“And what happens when they do?” Nick said as he shoved her forward a little.

 

“They act strange, like they are drunk from Ale, and it does not last long so many people crave more of it.” She said as she looked up at Nick with anger in her eyes.

 

“Sound familiar Jiggity?” Nick said and Aj clenched his fist.

 

“Alex?” Rayne said and Aj looked at her.  “What is he talking about?”  Aj couldn’t say anything; he looked down at the floor.

 

“Are you going to tell her, or shall I?” Nick said as Aj looked up at him quickly.

 

“I would never believe a word that came out of your mouth.” Rayne huffed.

 

“No, you probably wouldn’t.” Nick sighed.  “That’s why I’m going to show you.” He said and before Rayne or Aj could react Nick placed his fingers on Rayne’s temples.  Aj watched horrified as she tried to get away, she tried to pull on Nick’s hands to get them away from her.  Aj watched as Nick’s lips went close to Rayne’s ear, he watched as his lips moved, watched as she whimpered, her eyes darting every where around the room.

 

“Stop!” Aj shouted as Nick looked up at him, not moving his lips, not moving his head, and then he smiled as him and Rayne slowly dropped to the floor.

 

“No.” Rayne whispered as Alex watched her face fall, and a tear fall with it.

 

“Yes.” Nick said loud enough for Aj to hear.  “She see’s you.” Nick said looking at Aj.  “On the floor, in your bedroom in Florida, she sees Kevin over top of you.” He then looked back at Rayne. 

 

“See that Rayne, see that white powder on the table..” He paused like he was giving her a moment to look.  “That’s our Molia, and that night your sweet Alex took so much he died.”

 

“Fuck you.” Aj said as he lunged at Nick again.  Nick tossed Rayne down to the ground and she whimpered as she hit the floor.  Aj grabbed Nick by the robe and the two fell back against a dresser.

 

“Alex!!” Someone shouted as they pounded on the door.

 

“You’ll never figure it out Alexander.” Nick said as Aj looked up at him, both guys were in a power struggle against the dresser.  The voice didn’t sound like Nick anymore.  “None of them ever did, and none of them ever will, you can not destroy me.” 

 

Aj let out a loud grunt as he pulled Nick away from the dresser, and slammed a frost spell into his chest, sending his friend across the room.  Aj breathed heavily as he headed towards Nick.

 

“Alex open the damn door!!” He heard Kevin shout and he looked back as the door shook from people pounding on it.  When he heard a crashing sound he looked back and saw Nick jump out the window.  Quickly he ran over to it and saw Nick hit the ground.

 

“Always wanted to do that” Nick said giggling as he looked up at Aj.  “Later man!” and with a wave Nick had disappeared.  He heard the door smash open behind him but he just kept staring at the ground below.

 

“Alex?” Someone said from beside him and he slowly looked up at them, it was Kevin.  “You alright man, what happened?” He asked as he looked back to Rayne.  Aj slowly turned around and saw Rayne sitting on the floor.  Nalia was right beside her and she was crying.

 

“Was it Nick?” Brian asked him as he walked up to Aj and Kevin.  Aj didn’t answer he just looked at Rayne.  “Does she need a Priest?” Brian asked Nalia.

 

“No.” Rayne said as she wiped her eyes.  “I am fine.”

 

“What happened?” Kevin asked again.

 

“Rayne, I, um.” Aj said walking over to her as Nalia helped her up.

 

“I need to be alone.” Rayne said walking away.

 

“No.” Nalia said stopping her.  “Nick could still be out there.”  Rayne didn’t say anything as she pulled away from Nalia and walked out of the room.

 

“Someone tell me what the hell just happened?” Kevin asked again, and Aj knew this was the last time he was going to ask with out kicking someone’s ass to get the info.

 

“It was Nick.  Rayne and I were in bed sleeping and something woke me up.” Aj said. “I was lying there and.” He stopped deciding to leave out the next part.  “I heard a noise, next thing I knew Nick was standing over there.”

 

“What happened to Rayne?” Kevin asked.  Aj looked up at him and then looked around at everyone. 

 

“I think.” Aj stopped, it was the last thing he wanted her to know about him, and he had always planned to tell her some day, but not like this.  “I think he showed her Nick’s memories.”

 

“Memories of what?” Nalia asked confused.

 

“That morning at my house in Florida.” Aj said his voice almost a whisper.

 

“Alex.” Kevin said as Aj looked up at him. 

 

“I need to go talk to her.” Aj said and he quickly left the room.  He heard Nalia ask more about what he meant as he jotted down the stairs of the cottage.

 

“Rayne?” he said as he looked around the first floor.  He saw the front door was opened and walked over to it.  His heart jumped a little when he saw Avit standing outside beside the door.

 

“Have you seen..” but before he could finish Avit nodded towards the lake.

 

“I followed her down the stairs, and have been watching her; I do not think Nick is still here, if he is he is hiding.” Avit said as Aj walked out.  He lightly smiled at his guard and headed towards the water. 

 

She was sitting on the grass close to the water; her legs tucked up against her chest and her night robe blowing lightly in the breeze.  As he got closer he wondered if he should say anything to let her know he was here.  Deciding against it he slowly sat down on the ground beside her, grunting a little in pain.  His ribs were a little sore from when Nick threw him across the room. 

 

The grunt made her look up as he sat down, her eyes soaked in tears she quickly looked away from him.  He relaxed a little as he sat down and looked out over the Lake.  The two sat there in silence, until Aj finally decided to speak. 

 

“I was young, I was sixteen when I met all of the fella’s, and by the time I was eighteen almost everyone in our world knew my name, thought they knew my name, and knew me.” Aj began to talk as they sat there.  “Everyone wanted to be a part of my life.” Aj said.  “Everyone, including a Father who wanted nothing to do with me, up until then.” He sighed.  “I couldn’t trust anyone, stopped trusting the guys, my mom, everyone.  I just wanted to hide, hide in a place where it didn’t hurt anymore. A place where my dad wanted me and not my fame, a place where someone would love me and not my name.”   He scrunched his eyebrows as the words played back in his head, not meaning for the words to rhyme.

 

 “All through out high school I was told I was a geek, I was weird and strange, and that no one would ever date me. Then the group took off and I was being told I’m hot, good looking, I’m sexy and all these girls want me.” He said with another sigh.  “I was told to be Aj, be bad, be sexy, and that wasn’t Alex. I got lost; I lost who I was inside.”

 

“What I saw..” Rayne started to say but she stopped.

 

“What you saw.” Aj said as he took her hand and she looked up at him.  “Was me at my worse, I didn’t care if I lived or died, didn’t care about myself or anyone around me.” He looked at her as a tear dripped down her eye.  “I’m sorry you had to see that, I wanted to tell you, I planned to tell you.” Aj said as he reached up and brushed the tear away with the back of his fingers.  “I just wasn’t sure if you would understand.”

 

“You said where you come from when you die, you do not come back.” Rayne said as her eyebrows etched in pain.  “I saw you.” She stopped and took a breath. “I saw Kevin, he looked so scared.” She said as she started to cry again.

 

Aj frowned as he let go of her hand and pulled her into his arms.  He closed his eyes and pushed away the anger he had for the thing that showed her that memory.  She had nothing to do with that world, with his world, with what happened and what he was apart of, but yet even she was hurt by it. 

 

“I’m sorry.” Aj said as he started to cry too.

 

“Alexander.” Aj heard Avit say from the cottage and Aj quickly looked at him.  His guard wasn’t looking at him but towards the Lake.  He pulled away from Rayne and looked to his left, there on the other side, he saw Nick.  Aj stood both him and Rayne up, stepping in front of her; he kept his eyes on Nick. 

 

“What does he want now?” Rayne asked.

 

“I dunno.” Aj said as he quickly looked at her.

 

“We must be close to something.” Rayne said both of them keeping their eyes on Nick.

 

“Maybe.” Aj said as he lightly nodded.  When he heard the sound of the others coming out of the cottage, he quickly looked back to them.

 

“Nick!” Brian shouted as he bolted from the steps to the edge of the Lake.

 

“What is he doing?” Nalia asked as she joined them.  Aj didn’t answer he just kept his eyes on Nick.  Then out of no where the ground shook and Aj had to throw out his arms to keep his balance. 

 

“What was that?” Howie asked shocked.  Again the ground shook and again Aj had to throw out his arms to keep himself up right.

 

“Holy Shit!” Brian shouted as he pointed to the trees behind Nick.  Everyone looked at Brian stunned then quickly looked to where he was pointing. 

 

“Holy Shit.” Kevin said repeating his cousin’s words as he saw what Aj saw.  Walking through the forest, through the trees was a tree.  A tree with arms, legs, eyes, a nose, ears, and as he broke out from behind Nick it growled and Aj saw the jagged barks of wood it had for teeth.

 

Slowly he turned to his right and looked at Rayne.  She was staring at Nick; her eyes were like they were back on the ship.  Her eyes were glowing a bright green, the light fading in and out.  Aj looked back as Nick screamed out in pain.  The tree had picked him up in his long branch like fingers.

 

“Hey!” Brian shouted as he looked at Rayne.

 

“Rayne?” Aj said calmly, looking back at her.  Aj felt himself get shoved into Howie and then the tree screamed along with Nick.  Aj spun around and saw that the tree had broken in half, and Nick laid on the ground beside it.  He quickly looked at Rayne who was facing Brian, she was out of breath, and a little disoriented.

 

“What the hell?” Aj yelled spinning Brian around.

 

“She was hurting him!” Brian shouted back.

 

“So you just don’t break her from a spell like that!” Aj shouted back.

 

“Guys!” Kevin shouted at them and they both stopped and looked at him.  “Where’s Nick?”  Aj looked over to where Nick and the tree were.  The tree was still there but Nick was gone. 

 

“Maybe he took off; let’s get back to the cottage.” Aj said looking to Kevin.

 

“Good idea.” Kevin agreed as he grabbed Brian by the arm.  “Let’s go man.”

 

“I couldn’t just let her hurt him.” Aj heard Brian say to Kevin as the two walked away.  Aj rolled his eyes and looked back to Rayne.  She was staring at the tree, or maybe to where Nick was, he wasn’t sure.

 

“We should get inside.” Aj said to her as he took her by the hand.

 

She looked at him a little startled and then looked back to the cottage.  She could hear Brian and Kevin fighting over what had just happened.  Aj watched as her eyes etched in pain and she turned around and headed towards the cottage.  He walked beside her and held the door open for. 

 

“To bad Nick didn’t show her she’s not the first one he’s said I love you too.”  Brian snapped out.

 

“What did you just say?” Aj said as he walked passed Rayne and went right for Brian.

 

“Ok, upstairs.” Kevin said as he jumped in front of the two and practically dragged Aj upstairs.

 

“Let go!” Aj snapped as him and Kevin entered the bedroom.

 

“Calm down.” Kevin said as he closed the door.

 

“Calm down! After what that prick just said? He’s lucky I don’t break his face!” Aj shouted through the closed door.

 

“Dawg.” Kevin said looking at him.

 

“I don’t give a shit, he’s been nothing but disrespectful to her since he got here.” Aj said angrily. “Then he says something like that and she heard it, god knows what she’s thinking right now.”

 

“Alex you need to calm down.” Kevin said but Aj couldn’t think and he growled in frustration.  He walked over to the bed and sat down, putting his head in his hands.  As he took a deep breath trying to clear his mind there was a knock at the door.

 

“I don’t want to see anyone.” Aj said looking up at Kevin.  He saw Kevin was about to say something but he stopped him.  “Not even Rayne, I just need to think.” Aj said as he got up from the bed and headed to the dark corner of the room.  He heard Kevin open the door and he heard Rayne talking.

 

“He doesn’t want to see anyone right now hun, just give him a few.” He heard Kevin say and then he heard Rayne’s muffled voice. “He’s fine he’s just pissed off.” He heard Kevin speak again.  Aj heard Rayne say something and then the door closed.  Slowly he sat down on the small stool by the window as Kevin came around the corner.

 

“She said if you want to talk she’ll be with Nalia.” Kevin said.  Aj lightly rolled his eyes as he put his head in his hands.

 

“You didn’t think you could run away from it did you, you’re not staying here to run away from that are you?” Kevin said as Aj looked up.

 

“No.” Aj said angrily. “No it’s not; I told you why I wanted to stay. I just didn’t want her to find out this way.” Aj grunted in frustration.  “And then Brian opening his big ass mouth.”  Kevin was about to say something when they heard someone shouting from downstairs.

 

“Now what?” Aj said quickly rolling his eyes as him and Kevin dashed for the door.

 

Kevin and Aj quickly jogged down the stairs and they both stopped dead when they hit the living room, almost slamming into each other.  Aj stood there dumb founded as he looked at everyone in the room. Avit, Nalia, and Howie were all sitting on the floor, tied up with roots. Brian was in the middle of the room, hanging from the middle ceiling, one long root wrapped around the middle section of his body.

 

“Rayne.” Aj said as his heart began to race and he started to walk over to her.  He didn’t even think that when Nick was holding her, the Evil could have jumped.

 

“Relax Alex.” Howie said as he tried to adjust his foot.  “She was going to bed, and Brian here opened up his mouth and pissed her off.”

 

“We tried to stop her but she tied us down, and then hung him up there.” Nalia said nodding to Brian as he slowly spun around.

 

“You see this.” Brian said looking at Kevin and Aj as he turned in their direction.  Aj sighed as he shook his head.  But the laugh of Kevin beside him made him look up quickly. Kevin’s face was beat red, as he held his hand up on the wall, holding himself up.

 

“I told you she was gonna do this if you didn’t keep your trap shut.” Kevin said as he gasped for some air.

 

“Alex, tell her to put me down.” Brian said as he started turning away from them.

 

“Rayne.” Aj said looking at her.

 

“I told him he has to apologize first.” Rayne said still looking at Brian.

 

“Apologize to Rayne.” Aj said looking back at Brian.

 

“And to you.” Rayne said and Aj looked at her.  “For what he said when we came in.”

 

Aj looked back at Brian and lightly shrugged.  Brian closed his eyes a groaned. “Fine, I’m sorry Rayne, and I’m sorry Alex.”

 

“Apology accepted.” Aj nodded to Brian and then he looked at Rayne.  “Now put him down.”  She looked at Aj, he could tell she really didn’t want too.  “Please.” He whispered.  With a sigh from Rayne, Aj heard the roots let go of their grip around everyone, and he heard Brian hit the floor with a thud and a groan. 

 

“I think we should all try too retire for the rest of the night.” Avit said as he brushed himself off.

 

“Good idea.” Kevin said as he helped Brian up.

 

“I will be in Nalia’s room.” Rayne said as she turned around but Aj stopped her.

 

“I wanna talk to you.” He said as she looked at him.

 

“Alright.” Rayne said as she lightly nodded her head.  Everyone said goodnight to each and headed for each of their rooms.  Aj sighed as he closed the door to their room; he knew he wouldn’t be sleeping anymore tonight.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Sir, are you alright?” Rem said as he came running into the room Nick was in.

 

“I’m fine.” Nick huffed as he held his side.

 

“What happened?” Rem asked.

 

“I found them, you were right to check the old cottage.” Nick said as he sat down.  “Had a run in with the Elvaan.”

 

“Should I get a Priest?” Rem asked looking back quickly to the door.

 

“No, I will be fine in an hour or so.” Nick said waving him off.  “We need to ready the men.  There is a reason they are at the Lake.”

 

“Do they know it’s there Sir?” Rem asked.  Nick looked up at Rem; he glared at the nosey human who heard him talking months before.

 

“No, they do not.” He hissed through his teeth.

 

“Yes, Sir.” Rem said looking away from him.

 

“And they will not know, we will attack at morning.” Nick said to him.

 

“I will prepare the men Sir.” Rem said with a nod.

 

“And tell them Princess Rayne is not allowed to be anywhere near that cavern if it comes to it, kill her.” Nick said looking at him. “If she opens that cavern, she will know what happened.”

 

“But she was not there; it was hundreds of years ago.” Rem said confused.

 

“When I took the memories from the people of Pixcadia, Guardian Rayxes and Guardian Adamai were there.  Adamai, I locked him in the cavern at the bottom of the falls. Rayxes told me before I sent her to her death over the waterfall; she would come back, so that Adamai could rest.”

 

“Because Elvaan’s must be burned after death.” Rem said and Nick nodded. “How do you know it is her?”

 

“Adamai was Elvaan, he was a Mage.  Rayxes was Human and she was a Druid.” Nick spoke as Rem listened.  “She was hated by most Elvaan’s including Adamai, but as they traveled, he learned that she really did care about Pixca and her creatures, that she wasn’t like most humans.”

 

“So they fell in love?” Rem asked.

 

“Yeah.” Nick said as he rolled his eyes. “Made their bond as Guardian’s stronger.”

 

“I didn’t pay any attention to Rayxes babble, but when I met Rayne when she was younger, before the wars began, I saw the talent in her, knew what she was, who she was, and so I kept my eye on her, all these years.  Watched her grow, learn, become who she is. I didn’t realize my own trick to keep the Guardians apart, would back fire on me.”

 

“How Sir?” Rem asked.

 

“Alexander didn’t grow up an Elvaan.” Nick said as he started to chuckle.  “He had no prejudice against Rayne whats so ever.”  Nick started laughing harder.  “He told Nick after being here a couple of days, he felt something, something pushing him, to this place, to her.”

 

“Adamai?” Rem asked. “But how?”

 

“All Elvaans are connected Rem, even your peanut mind knows that?” Nick scoffed.  “Somewhere in him ol’ Adamai is telling him to protect her, watch over her.”

 

“Why?” Rem asked.

 

“Cause if she opens that cavern and finds Adamai’s remains it will awaken Rayxes, she will remember what happened.” Nick said frustrated, it was the first time he had actually realized it could happen.

 

“Like how you wake?” Rem asked.

 

“Now you got it.” Nick said as he gently tapped Rem on the head.  Rem rolled his eyes; he hated Ignis being in Nick’s body.  He talked liked Nick, acted like Nick, and he always talked down to him.

 

“When will you return to your true form?” Rem asked.

 

“When it is time to kill the Guardians.” Nick said with a smile.  “At least this one will be easy.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                                           

Chapter 17 by VeeLynn

                                    The Guardian Crusade

                              Volume I

 

                                                             Chapter 17

 

Aj sat on the step of the cottage as he watched Rayne and Nalia swim in the Lake.  The door behind him opened and he looked up.  He lightly smiled when he saw Kevin step out from the cottage, his hair still ruffled from the night before.

 

“Morning” Kevin grumbled.

 

“Morning dude” Aj said with a laugh at Kevin’s lack of enthusiasm for mornings.

 

“Have you slept at all?” Kevin asked as he sat down beside him.

 

“Nope” Aj said as he shook his head.

 

“Are things ok with the two of you?” Kevin asked him.

 

“Yeah” Aj nodded.

 

“How did she take the comment Brain made?” Kevin asked as he raised his eyebrow.

 

“She took it as our worlds our different.” Aj said with a sigh.  “Besides dude.” He said as he looked at Kevin.  “You think I haven’t done shit with her she’s never done before.”

 

“Ugh man.” Kevin said as he looked away. “No, no, too much info man, too much.” Kevin said as Aj started laughing.  “I could of gone home not knowing that.”  

 

Aj laughed as he looked away and back out to the Lake.  He was going to miss bugging Kevin like that.  But he could just do it to Nick and all would be well.  Aj sighed as the thought of Nick crossed his mind and what happened that night.

 

“Any sign of our boy?” Kevin asked.

 

“No.” Aj said looking over to him.

 

“Brian finally calm down?” Aj asked him.

 

“No.” Kevin said copying Aj’s tone.  Aj lightly smiled and shook his head. 

 

            “Did Marsa ever tell you how to send us home?” Kevin asked.

 

            “You’re just asking me this now?” Aj asked looking at him.

 

            “Kind of been a little crazy around here.” Kevin said rolling his eyes.

 

            “No he didn’t.” Aj said.

 

“Oh.” Kevin said a little stunned.

 

“But it’s a spell so I figured the Mages Council knew something, so I went there and was able to get the spell myself.” Aj said as he watched the relief come over Kevin’s face. “Guess you’re missing Kris something fierce.” 

 

“Yes.” Kevin said with a quick nod.  “And Brian misses Leigh-Anne and Baylee.”

 

“Yeah I know.” Aj said with a light nod.

 

“But it still doesn’t excuse him acting like a tard all this time.” Kevin said as the word tard made Aj laugh again.  “So what are we looking for?” Kevin asked as Rayne and Nalia came out of the water.

 

“I have no clue, piece of paper, a book maybe.” Aj said with a shrug.  “By the sounds of the book, Adamai was fighting over there when he called the Elemental, so, start there I guess, whenever we start searching.”  He was about to saying something else to Kevin but a shadow took his attention and he looked up and saw Rayne and Nalia heading his way.

 

“We are going to the cliffs to look around.” Rayne said as she walked up Aj.

 

“Don’t go too far.” Aj said to her.

 

“We will stay close.” Rayne said as she leaned in and lightly kissed him.

 

Kevin and Aj sat on the steps of the cottage porch, Aj talked about scenes in the books he had read, and Kevin helped him point out areas around the Lake that looked like the areas he was talking about. 

 

“I think the best place to start would be the falls.” Aj said as he looked over to the area.  He scanned the cliffs and looked for any sign of Rayne and Nalia.  When he looked at the top of the falls he saw them standing near the edge, looking out towards the forest.

 

“Must be a nice view, we should go up there later.” Kevin said as Aj looked back at him.

 

“Yeah man for sure.” Aj nodded.  A loud squawking sound made both men look up and they saw a hawk fly over head.  It soared through the sky towards Rayne and Nalia, then over top of them, and flew towards Hevi.  Aj looked back up to Rayne and Nalia, and now he just saw Rayne standing up there, looking in the direction the hawk went.

 

“Something’s up.” Aj said tapping Kevin on the shoulder.  Aj opened the door to the cottage and called for Avit, he closed the door and began walking towards the falls.

 

“What is she doing?” Kevin asked following.

 

“She must see something, getting a better look with the Hawk.” Aj said as he looked from Rayne back quickly to Kevin.

 

“Alex!” Nalia shouted out of breath as she jumped down from the cliff to their right.

 

“What’s going on?” Aj asked as she ran up to them.

 

“I thought I saw something, smoke a few fields away, she sent the Hawk out and she said it’s Nick.” Nalia said catching her breath.  “They are headed this way.”

 

“I will ready our men.” Avit said.

 

“He has a whole army behind him.” Nalia said stopping Avit.

 

“An Army?” Kevin said with nervousness.

 

“Get everyone on the Gryphon’s and meet me up top.” Aj said to Kevin as he looked at him.  Kevin nodded quickly and headed to the cottage.  “Nalia, Avit I’m going to go get her, you guys go with the guys we’ll leave and come back later.”

 

“Alex!!” Aj heard Kevin shout and he quickly spun around.  He looked at Kevin who was pointing to the top of the falls.  Rayne was standing on the edge, looking down at the water below.

 

“What the hell..” Aj said as his breath left his body.  “Rayne!” Aj shouted to get her attention but as the words left his mouth, she left the cliffs edge and he watched in horror as she dropped to the water below. 

 

“Rayne!!” Aj screamed as he took of running for the Lake.  He watched the bottom of the falls as he ran to the edge, when he got there he still didn’t see her, so he dove into the water and began swimming towards the falls.  “Rayne?!” Aj shouted as he stopped close to the falls.  The crashing sound of the falls muffled his voice so much he could barely hear himself yell for her. His robe was heavy and pulling him down, so he quickly, frantically pulled it off him, tossing it away.  He pushed down the panic emotion that was rushing through him as he took a deep breath and dove under the water.

 

The current was strong and it was pushing him back, he felt his lungs getting tighter, so he pushed himself upwards and popped back up for some air.  He gasped for breath as he broke from the water almost right under the falls.  Aj took three deep breaths, and then on the fourth one he held it as he went back down under the water.  He pushed with all his strength to fight against the current. 

 

Aj was about to go back up for air when something tugged his foot and before he could react he was being pulled under deeper.  Aj realized it was the current from the falls pulling him down and he struggled with everything he had to get back to the surface but the current kept pulling him back down.

 

He felt his head get light as his chest began to tighten.  He felt himself getting tired, his head spinning, and just as his eyes started rolling into the back of his head, something grabbed his undershirt and pulled him through the current.  As he came out of the water he gasped for air and started coughing and choking.  He gasped for air and coughed again as he rolled over.  His eyes opened and the air started to return to his lungs.

 

Slowly he pushed himself up on his hands and knees as his breathing started to return to normal.  His thoughts also returned to him and he quickly looked around, wondering where he was.  He looked up in front of him and saw Rayne standing over top of him.  Her hair was long and straggly, she was soaked from head to toe, and she just looked at him with no emotion on her face.

 

“Rayne?” Aj said relieved to see her, he quickly got up and pulled her into his arms.  “I saw you fall, what happened, why were you standing so close to the edge?” he asked as he held her.  She didn’t say anything and it was then that he noticed she wasn’t hugging him or anything.  “Rayne?” Aj said as he slowly pulled away from her. 

 

“Who is this Rayne?” She said and her eyebrows fell in puzzlement.

 

“You’re Rayne?” Aj said looking at her confused.  “Did you hit your head when you fell?”

 

“No, I do not believe so, why are you talking different?” Rayne asked.

 

“Why am I?” Aj said looking at her confused. “Rayne I think you need to sit down.”

 

“I am not this Rayne, I am sorry you are confused Sir but my name is Rayxes.” She said as she stepped back away from him.

 

“Rayxes?” Aj said confused.

 

“Have you seen Adamai?” She asked.  “He was fighting Ignis; I do not know what happened to him.”

 

“Adamai?” Aj said even more confused.

 

“I am right here my love.” A voice said from behind them and Aj froze when he saw a tall, slim Elvaan standing at the other end of the cave.  “Thank you Alexander, for bringing her safely to me.” He said as he walked up to them. When he got closer Aj realized he wasn’t totally there, like when he saw Tas, the man was transparent and floated along the floor of the cave.

 

“You know my name?” Aj said confused.

 

“Yes.” The Elvaan nodded.  “And I am pleased you know mine.”

 

“How do you know this human?” Rayxes asked.

 

“Ah my dear he is not human, he is Elvaan.” Adamai said with a light smile.  Aj looked at both Adamai and Rayne or Rayxes.  “Do you remember Ray, remember us fighting, and remember what Ignis did to the people of Pixcadia?”

 

“We were on the cliff.” She said as Aj looked at her.  “We were on the cliffs with Ignis, he had a life thread.” She said as she looked at Adamai.

 

“A what?” Aj asked but they both paid no attention to him.

 

“He broke it and the people forgot.” Rayne spoke.

 

“Yes.” Adamai nodded.  “Do you remember what happened next?”

 

“You went after him and you both fell over the cliff.  I climbed down and when I got to the bottom you had summoned your elemental.” She said looking at him.  “But then you both went under the water.”  Adamai nodded as Aj watched as Rayne began to cry.  “You did not come back.”

 

“No.” Adamai said sadly.

 

“You have been trapped here?” She asked.  “You were.” She said as she looked him with sympathy, when the rest of the memory hit her.  “Ignis told me he locked you here and before I..” she stopped, Aj waited for her to finish but she didn’t.

 

“We need to fix the thread Rayxes, so that they will remember, so they can do what we could not.”  Adamai told her.  Rayne nodded at him and his hand gently cradled around hers as he began to walk her to the back of the cave.  Aj followed the two still not sure what was going on.  He watched as Adamai nodded for Rayne to do something and she let go of his hand.  Rayne tuned and faced the back of the cave; she slid her hand along the dull jagged rock.  Aj heard a crackling sound and then a bright light flashed filling up the cave.  When he opened his eyes, he saw a whole in the cave wall, and what looked like a river of light. Pink, White, Yellow and many other bright colours flowed behind the wall.

 

“When we pass through the life thread, it will fix the broken line and the people of Pixcadia will remember again.”  Adamai said as he looked at Rayne.

 

“Pass through, what are you getting her to do?” Aj asked as he began to worry.

 

“It was good to see you my love, I have missed looking into your eyes.” Adamai said with a light smile.  Rayne lightly smiled back as she took Adamai’s hand and raised both of their hands to the wall.  They touched the stream of light and Aj heard another crackling sound as another flash of light broke out of the cave.  AJ covered his eyes as he tried to see Rayne but he could barely make her out.  She was still standing at the cave wall and he couldn’t tell if Adamai was still there.

 

The light stopped and Aj looked right at Rayne as he saw her start to fall to the ground.  He quickly reached out for her and caught her just before her knees hit the stone covered ground.  He looked at her as he sat down, her eyes were closed and he laid his head against her chest.  Aj breathed a sigh of relief when he felt her chest move, she was still breathing.  Quickly he looked up and didn’t see Adamai anywhere, or any sign of the river of light that was on the wall seconds before.

 

“Alex?” He heard Rayne say and he looked down as she slowly began to move.

 

“Rayne?” Aj said as he cradled her in his arms.  Her eyes opened and he titled his head a little at the look on her face, she looked lost in thought, thinking.  “Rayne, are you ok?”

 

“Yes?” She said with confusion.

 

“That’s not very convincing.” Aj said shaking his head at her.

 

“Where are we?” She asked as she slowly sat up.

 

“In a cave behind the falls?”

 

“In Winnol?” Rayne asked even more confused.

 

“No, at the cottage.” Aj said worried.  “Rayne do you know a Rayxes?” Aj asked her as she looked at him.

 

“That is what has me confused, I do know who she is but I know I did not know before.” Rayne said too him.  “She was a Guardian like me, very much like me, she was a human and a Druid.”

 

“But I thought you were the only one.” Aj said.

 

“The Evil, his name is Ignis and he put a spell on Pixcadia to make us forget.”  Rayne said looking at him.  “Rayxes, Adamai, Genua, and Alia they were Guardians.  Genua and Alia died trying to stop Ignis from changing the tale, and then he went to the cave to break a life thread, so we would forget because if we forgot...”

 

“We would be useless against him.” Aj said realizing as Rayne nodded.  “How come I don’t know any of this?” Aj asked.

 

“Maybe it is because you did not live here?” She asked but Aj could tell she was just as confused as he was.

 

“Shit.” Aj said as he helped her stand and the memory that the Evils army was heading in their direction.  “We need to get the others, Nick and his army.”  Rayne cut him off.

 

“On thier way.” She said finishing his sentence.  Aj nodded and then walked over to the edge of the ridged rocks.  He looked back to Rayne and saw she didn’t follow him.

 

“Rayne?” Aj asked a little confused.  She didn’t say anything but started walking towards the corner of the cave.  Aj looked back to the water and then looked back to Rayne.  “Rayne, darlin we need to go.” He said walking over to her but he stopped when he saw what she was staring at. 

 

Up against the damp wall was a skeleton, still dressed in its Robe, hood, and a staff laid beside it.  Rayne knelt down and picked up the staff, handing it to Aj.  He looked at her confused as she knelt back down.

 

“Is this Adamai?” Aj asked as he looked at the robe he saw the figure wearing not long ago.

 

“Yes.” Rayne nodded.  “We need to burn his remains, as with all Elvaans when they die, so they can return to the ground they came from.”  She said as she carefully gathered Adamai’s remains and bundled them up in his robe.

 

“What?” Aj said confused. 

 

“There is still much you need to learn about the Elvaans.” Rayne said with a light smile as she stood up.

 

“Tell me about it.” Aj said as he followed her to the edge of the rocks.  “What do I do with this?” Aj asked.

 

“It was Adamai’s, he was a Guardian, perhaps he would not mind if you used it.”

 

“We still have to deal with Nick and the Army outside.” Aj said as his thoughts went back to his friends.  “I hope they didn’t wait around for us and took off in the Gryphon’s.”  Both Aj and Rayne slipped into the water.  As they swam closer to the opening below the falls they felt the water pressure pushing on them. 

 

“This is going to be a rough swim.” Aj said with a sigh.  “Hold onto the staff.” He said looking at Rayne.  She nodded as she waited in the water beside him. Rayne grabbed the staff and tightened her grip around Adamai’s robe.  They both took deep breaths and went under at the same time.  The current was strong as he pushed against them, trying to push them back into the cave.  Aj felt his arms getting tired already as his breath was running short, and it made him push harder forwards. Like a dam releasing them, they were both pushed up towards the surface of the water and gasped for air as they broke through. 

 

Not forgetting that the army was just right outside, they both quickly looked around.  Aj looked over by the cottage but he didn’t see anyone.  He looked to the left of the cottage where the Gryphon’s were and they were gone too.

 

“Did they get away?” Rayne asked as she looked around.

 

“Maybe, but where’s Nick and the army?” Aj asked as he looked towards Hevi.

 

“There!” Rayne said as she pointed behind him.  Aj turned around and saw Nalia fighting Nick, Kevin fighting Rem, Brian, and Howie were fighting off a couple of guards.   Aj started swimming towards them and he looked back over his shoulder to check on Rayne, but she was gone.  He looked down into the water to see if she was swimming under the water but she was not.

 

“Damn it woman.” Aj cursed to himself as he looked back to Nick and Nalia fighting.  He began swimming towards them again. 

 

“It does not matter that the thread has been restored, you can not destroy me.” Nick shouted as Nalia took a swing at him and he blocked it.  Aj raised his arm and sent out an Ice bolt as Nick brought his sword up.  It struck him on his side and he let go of the sword and grabbed his left side.  Everyone stopped and looked to the water, to Aj, as he waited there.

 

“Alex!” Kevin shouted and Aj could see the relief on his face.

 

“So, the Mage has decided to join us?” Nick said with a smile.  “Oh, but what is this? No Druid.” He said quickly.  Aj was about to reply when something caught the corner of his eye.  It was Rayne, and she was sneaking up behind Nick.

 

“What the hell..” Aj thought as he quickly looked back to Nick.  Hoping his eyes darting to the right didn’t tip off the Evil. 

 

“One down..” Nick said with a smile.  “Three more to go.” He sighed.  “Although I had hoped the Druid would have given more of a fight.” He said as he looked at Aj.  Aj gritted his teeth and he stared at Nick. But then something weird happen, Nick’s eyes went wide, his mouth opened in shock and he just stared at Aj. 

 

Aj watched as Nalia dropped her sword and slowly backed away.  He quickly looked back at Nick who was now trying to turn around, reaching back frantically. Nick screamed as a green beam of Light shot from his sides.

 

“Nick!” Brian shouted and Aj quickly looked over.  He saw Brian fighting with Kevin to get away.  Kevin holding his cousin back with almost no effort.  Aj looked back to Nick and this time he saw what everyone else saw.  Nick had dropped to his knees and Rayne was standing behind him, over top of him, her hand was.  Aj stared in horror as he saw Rayne’s hand inside of Nick.

 

“This is not your body; your life is not welcomed here.” Aj heard Rayne shout.  Her voice was booming and he was pretty sure anyone within the area could hear her.  Then as the words left her mouth she began to pull her arm back.  Nick screamed in pain as the Green split into the colour of Red.  “This is not your body!” Rayne shouted. “Your life is not welcomed here!” When the words left her mouth Aj watched as she pulled hard on something.  Nick screamed again and then he fell forward. 

 

“Druid” Said another deep booming voice and Aj looked up from Nick.  His eyes went wide when he saw Rayne standing in behind Ignis. He was taller than Kevin, his features strong, his frame was wide, and face barely looked human.  His eyes glowed a dark red, his jaw wide and long. Ignis spun around and pushed Rayne to the ground  “I hoped, you had met the same fate as Rayxes but I will enjoy killing you anyways.”

 

Aj shot his arm out and sent an Ice bolt at Ignis.  The man fell to the ground and it had broken everyone’s stare on Ignis and they all looked at him.  He swam quickly to the shore of the lake. 

 

“Alex are you ok?” Kevin asked.

 

“What the hell was that?!” Brian shouted at him pointing to Rayne. Aj didn’t know how to answer him.

 

“Where’s Rem?” Aj asked looking at Kevin.

 

“Out for the count.” Kevin said nodding behind him.  Aj quickly looked behind them and saw Rem laying on the ground.

 

“This is not over.” Ignis said as he got to his feet. 

 

“He’s going to poof again.” Brian said as he broke from Kevin’s grip and took off towards Ignis.   Aj reached out to grab him but he felt Brian’s robe slip through his fingers.  Brian dove at Ignis but went through him and hit the ground hard.

 

“Too late” Kevin said rolling his eyes as he began to walk over to his cousin.  Aj couldn’t help but lightly smile.  Then he remembered Nick and spun around quickly, a feeling of heaviness lifted from him as he saw Nick slowly moving. 

 

“Kevin” Aj said as he looked at him.  Kevin looked back as he picked up his cousin and then looked at Nick.  His eyes went wide when he saw Nick moving.

 

“Nick” He said as he let go of Brian and ran to him.  Brian wasn’t ready for his crutch to let go of him and he fell back down to the ground.

 

“Ow” Brian huffed as he hit the grass.  He quickly looked back too see what was so important and saw Kevin kneeling down by Nick.

 

Aj walked over to Kevin and Nick and knelt down beside them.  “Lay down man.” Kevin said as Nick tried to sit up.

 

“Too much” Nick moaned laying back.

 

“Too much?” Aj said confused looking at Kevin.

 

“Too much tequila.” He moaned as he grabbed his head.

 

“Little confused” Aj said with a nod like he was diagnosing Nick.

 

“Nick!” Brian shouted as he got to him. “Nick! Are you ok!” Brian shouted at him.

 

“Dude” Nick moaned as he tried to push Brian away.  “Stop yelling”

 

“Does your head hurt?” Kevin asked.

 

“Ye-ah” Nick said as he looked back to Kevin.  His eyelids were squinted but Aj could see his eyes a little.

 

“He’s fine; he’s already giving me attitude.” Kevin sighed.

 

“What happened?” Nick asked as Brian helped him slowly sit up.

 

“Nick?” Aj heard Nalia say.  Aj watched as Nick looked at her, his face was confused, then puzzlement came over it, then recognition, and then realization. 

 

“What do you remember man?” Kevin asked.

 

“Remember being on the boat?” Brian asked.

 

Aj watched as Nick looked around at his surroundings, he looked around at everyone.  “It’s still sorta coming back.” Nick said a little confused.

 

“What did Rayne do?” Howie asked Aj.

 

“Rayne” Aj said remembering as he started too look around for her.  He broke pass Howie and saw her lying on the ground.  He ran over to her and knelt down beside her. “Rayne?” Aj said as he looked her.  She didn’t answer so he slowly rolled her over. 

 

When he did he saw the blood dripping down her face. He looked at her with fright and confusion; he looked around her and saw a rock by her head with blood on it. He quickly grabbed for his robe and then remembered he had taken it off in the water.  So without giving it another thought he ripped off his under shirt and bunched it up.

 

“Brian!” Aj screamed not taking his eyes off Rayne as he placed his shirt against her head.  He heard Howie shout for Brian too and soon everyone was running up on them.

 

“What’s wrong?” Brian asked as he knelt down on the other side.  Aj pulled the shirt away to show them the gash on her forehead.  Without missing a beat placed his hands over the cut.  After a moment he pulled his hand away.

 

“Ok, I got it to stop.” Brian said as Aj looked at him.  He then looked back down at Rayne, he waited for her eyes to open but nothing happened.

 

“Aj she hit her head pretty hard.” Brian said.  “I don’t know any spell to wake her up.”

 

“Then they do in Winnol.” Aj said as he reached under her and picked her up.

 

“Do you need anything Alex?” Avit said as he walked over to them.  For the first time he realized his General was there.  “The men that were with the army have fled, as soon as we remembered what happened, they seemed to drop sword and head into the forest.”

 

“So you remember too then?” Aj asked as he held Rayne in his arms.

 

“Yes.” Avit nodded.  “You should get her to Winnol right away.” Avit said and Aj wondered if it was out of concern or to change the subject.

 

“I do need you to do something.” Aj said looking at Avit.  “Over there, there is a robe.” Aj said pointing to the shore edge.  “There are..” He stopped to think of what to say.  “There’s valuable things in the robe. Make sure they get back to Winnol safely.”

 

“As you wish Sir.” Avit nodded and then headed towards the Lake.

 

“Can you fly?” Aj asked Nick as he walked up to them.

 

“I think so.” Nick said but Aj could see he was still a little out of it.

 

“What happened?” Nalia asked shocked for the first time seeing Rayne, her attention obviously on Nick.

 

“She hit her head when Ignis pushed her, I think.” Aj said.  “Brian got the bleeding to stop, taking her to Winnol, I’m sure they’ll wake her up.” Aj lightly smiled as he headed towards the cottage.  “Wait where are the Gryphons?”

 

“Avit sent them into the air when..” She stopped and looked at Nick.  “When Ignis arrived.”  And just as she said the words Aj heard a whistle being blown and then the squawk of the Gryphon’s flying over head.  They all started to land over by the cottage and Aj made his way to them.

Chapter 18 by VeeLynn

                                    The Guardian Crusade

                              Volume I

 

                                                            Chapter 18

 

Aj stood at the large fire as he watched the flames dance around.  He looked up as the sparks of light drifted up to the sky, twirling around the smoke that the guided them.  It was only him and Avit standing by the fire, in the Ceremonial garden, where the remains of Adamai were finally at peace.

 

“Reports are coming in that Ignis’s army is breaking all around.” Avit said.  “They are realizing they have been lied to and mislead.”

 

“Well that helps.” Aj said with a sigh. 

 

“Any word on Rayne?” Avit asked as Aj looked at him.  Aj frowned a little and then shook his head.

 

“She’s still out. The Priests have been trying to wake her but nothing, so now they say it’s best if she just rests, until she is ready to wake up.”  Aj said remembering the conversation he had with the Priests. “They were moving her from the Springs to her room when I left to come here.”

 

“What she did, I have never seen a Druid, Elvaan or Human do that.” Avit said a little breathless.  Aj didn’t know what to say, not that he could. If Avit had never seen a spell like that he sure as hell hasn’t.

 

“There you are.” Brian said from behind them and they both turned around.

 

“What’s up?” Aj asked when he saw the look on Brian’s face.  “Is it Rayne is she awake?”

 

“Yes, I mean no, she’s not awake but.” Brian stopped.

 

“But what dude.” Aj said looking at him.

 

“That Druid Council, they have their guards around her room, there’re not letting anyone in to see her.” Brain explained.

 

“What why?” Aj asked confused as he started to leave the ceremonial area.

 

“I dunno, they said something about what she did to Nick.” Brian said shrugging as him and Avit followed behind Aj. 

 

The three quickly walked through the city, Aj was too concerned with Rayne to bow and nod back to the people as they greeted him. His pace began to quicken as they reached the Tree Castle doors.  The guards opened them and the three walked into the front hallway.  Many people were gathered at the bottom of the stairs whispering to each other.  When they saw Aj, they stopped talking and looked at him.  They separated and let Him, Brian and Avit through as they headed up the stairs.  Aj walked down the hall and saw three guards standing outside of Rayne’s room. 

 

Their armor was different from the armor Avit and Winnol’s army wore.  They looked like giant birds.  They had helmets that looked like an eagle’s head, shoulder pauldron’s that had large colourful feathers dressing them.  Their chest piece was a solid metal but it too had feathers adoring it.

 

“Excuse me” Aj said to one of the guards that stood in his way.

 

“I am sorry Sir I can not let you in.” The guard said.

 

“Move now Kelthis.” Avit said with slight anger.

 

“I can not, Elder Rexil’s orders.” The guard said to Avit.

 

“So.” Aj said looking at him.  “I’m King, I out rule her.”

 

“A human King.” The other guard scoffed.

 

“I would watch your tongue.” Avit shot at him.

 

“Screw this.” Aj said as he broke pass the guards and pushed on the doors.  He felt the guards grab at him, he heard Avit yell at them, but he was able to get into the room none the less.

 

“What is the meaning of this?” Rexil said as the guards stopped grabbing at Aj and Avit walked up beside him.

 

“Get out of her room now, and take your damn guards with you.” Aj said to her angrily.

 

“I am sorry your Highness but.” Aj interrupted her.

 

“But nothing, get out of her room now!” Aj said this time yelling.

 

“She has broken the law of the Druid, she has attacked someone’s Life Aura.” Elder Rexil said almost yelling back at him.

 

“Life Aura?” Aj asked confused.

 

“See.” The Elder said with a laugh.  “You are human, so I will let this pass, but Avit should have told you.  You may be King, but I am the Elder, I do not meddle in your affairs and you do not meddle in mine.  Your law may be word for these people, but my law is word for her.” The Elder said pointing to Rayne.  “And she will answer for breaking it.”

 

“But she did it because the Evil, I mean Ignis was possessing Nick.” Aj said still stunned.

 

“That will be brought up at her trial.” Aj interrupted her.

 

“Trial?!” Aj said shocked.  “What Trial?”

 

“She will face her fellow Druids, and we will decide what her fate shall be.” Elder Rexil told him. “Until then she must remain in our custody.”

 

“And if I refuse?” Aj asked staring at the Elder.  She looked at him shocked and then a little bit of anger came over her face. 

 

“They tell me you’re Elvaan but all I see is a Human and now I know it to be so, because an Elvaan could never love a Human like you love her.” The Elder said not breaking eye contact.

 

“Adamai loved Rayxes” Avit jumped in.

 

The Elder looked at Avit annoyed but did not say anything.  Aj could tell she was not adjusting to the new memory that there was another Human Druid, even if it was hundreds of years ago. 

 

“She can stay here, two guards outside and one in here.” The Elder said. 

 

“And me, and Nalia, and my friends and Avit.” Aj said to her sternly.  She looked at him in frustration. 

 

“Very well.” She said with a frustrated sigh.  Elder Rexil turned around and nodded for the rest of her guards to follow, when the door closed her turned to Avit.

 

“What the hell, her law, why didn’t you tell me the Druids had all this power.” Aj said and for the first time showing anger towards Avit.

 

“I am sorry Sir, I just did not think she would do something like this and we had so much to do, so much happened, I just thought it would be something to talk about later.” Avit said calmly.  “The Druids are Pixca’s Warriors, they guard everything she has created, even Kings and Queens.” Aj looked angrily at the Druid guard who stood by the fire place.  He turned his head and looked to Rayne lying on the bed.  She had been changed into her nightgown; the blood had been washed from her face and hair, a large bandage over the temple area of her head.

 

“Can you stay here, I need some air.” Aj said as he looked back to Avit.

 

“Of Course Sir” Avit said with a nod. 

 

Aj tried to smile but nothing much happened, he walked over to the door, shooting one last glare at the guard at the fireplace.  He opened her bedroom door and walked out into the hallway.  Aj stopped dead when he heard the Druid guards mumble. He slowly turned around and looked at them.

 

“You talk shit about me because I’m Human, cause I’m rude, yet here are two guards of a council who has more power than me acting like fourteen year old school girls.  Yeah, hate me because I’m Human.”  He snapped at them as he looked away and headed down the hall.  “Assholes.” He mumbled as he turned the corner and walked down the stairs.

 

“Alex?” Someone said from behind him.

 

“What? Fuck.” Aj said spinning around.  He stopped dead when he saw Rayne’s mom standing behind him.  “Oh, oh um, I am so sorry.” Aj said as his face dropped and he looked at her.

 

“What is going on with Rayne?” She asked.

 

“The Druid Council, that Elder Lady, she says when Rayne helped Nick, what she did was wrong, it was breaking some kind of Druid law.” Aj said still trying to understand it himself.

 

“Rexil.”  Halian sighed.

 

“You know her, oh right, yeah, of course you do.” Aj said with a light smile.

 

“Yes, unfortunately I do.” Halian said too him, and the tone in her voice actually made Aj relax a little.  “Rexil never liked Rayne, she was a Human Druid which was on heard of, until now, I suppose. She had always given Adop and I a hard time when we had interviews with her.”

 

“So Rayne went to school here?” Aj asked.

 

“For a while, yes.” She nodded.  “At first they did not want to take her.  Imagine that, Guardian and all.” Halian said as she lightly raised her eyebrow.

 

“What changed their mind?”  Aj asked

 

“Not what, who.” She lightly smiled.  Aj looked at her confused.  “Marsa” She said.  “He talked to her, Elder Rexil, I never knew what he said to her but she agreed to it.”

 

“Marsa was a very convincing person.” Aj said with a smile. Halian lightly smiled back at him and nodded.

 

“When she got older, she became tired of the way a lot of the Elvaans treated her and she wanted to leave. Rexil wanting her to as well agreed to send a tutor to stay in Drisel to school her.”  Halian said remembering.  “They are very proud people and I am sure right now they are a little upset over this new memory that has come to light.  It was hard enough for them to accept her, now they must accept another, along with a King who looks Human.”

 

“You think that’s why Elder Rexil did what she did?” Aj asked.

 

“Possibly.”  Halian said with a shrug.  “Although I do not know what Rayne did, her spell, I have never heard of it before, but they seem to know.”

 

“Avit said he had never heard of it either.”  Aj said as he remembered what Avit said to him.  “Rexil, she said she attacked someone’s Life Aura?”

 

“Life Aura” Halian said confused.  “I remember in one of her trials she was to learn how to see someone or some beings life Aura, it’s the colour your energy gives off.  Druids of course attached to nature and life can see this.”

 

“Cool” Aj said a little in awe.

 

“Each Animal and Humanoid has its own colour.” She told him.  “Elvaans are Yellow, Dwarfs are Green, Humans are Blue, and there are many colours and variations depending on the species.”

 

“You know a lot about the Druids.”

 

“When Rayne came back from Winnol she did not have anyone to talk to about her talent, Adop was busy with the Kingdom, and well, it is a Mothers duty.” She said with a light smile.  Aj lightly laughed.

 

“How are you feeling?” He asked.

 

“Better, thank you.” She said with a nod.  “How are you? You seemed upset.”

 

“Yeah, I’m sorry about that.” Aj said frowning again.  “I had just finished talking to Elder Rexil, needed some air, and I thought you were one of my friends.  I wasn’t really paying attention to who was calling my name.” 

 

“It is alright, I understand your frustration.” Halian said with a light smile. 

 

“The whole time I’ve been here everyone has said ‘you may look Human but you’re not, you’re Elvaan’ and now she shows up saying otherwise.”  Aj sighed.

 

“What has Rayne told you?” Halian asked.  Aj looked at her for a moment and then answered.

 

“Please tell me they let you see her?”  Aj said looking at her.

 

“No, Rexil told me they could not let anyone see her until they questioned her.” Halian said.  Aj was quickly filled with anger again.  “What is it?” Halian said when she saw the look on Aj’s face.

 

“We’re not sure when she’s going to wake up; she hit her head pretty hard.”  Aj said trying to stay calm.

 

“I see.” Halian replied.

 

“I’ll take you to see her.” Aj said as he motioned for her to go with him.  “Did they tell you what happened?”

 

“Nalia did yes, after I left the Springs that is when I went to try and go see her but by then Rexil and her guards were there.” She told him as they walked up the stairs.  “Have the Priests tried?”

“Yes, they said it’s best to wait, let her wake when she’s ready.” Aj said as they reached the top. 

 

Yeah that pretty much did it for him.  He did not like this Rexil person one bit and as King he was starting to feel like he should do something about it.  They walked down the hall and Aj saw the two guards standing outside of the door.  As they approach Rayne’s doors Aj looked at them both, just waiting for one of them to say something.  They said nothing as he opened the door and let Halian inside.  He walked in and closed the doors firmly behind him.  Aj looked over at the fire place and the other guard was still standing there.

 

As Halian went over to Rayne’s bed, Avit walked over to Aj.  “They wouldn’t even let her in.” Aj said looking at him.

 

“She was never like this with Marsa.” Avit said with a sigh.

 

“Because he was Elvaan.” Aj said looking to Rayne’s bed.

 

“But you are Elvaan.”  Avit said shaking his head. 

 

“I guess my Aura says other wise.” He said sarcastically.

 

The door behind them opened and Aj turned around wondering who would be next.  “Those are some freaky guards.” Brian said as he walked in.  Aj nodded over to the fire place and Brian looked over.  He jumped a little when he saw the guard standing there.

 

“What’s up dude?” Aj asked with a light laugh.

 

“Nick wants to talk to you.” Brian said.

 

“Oh snap.” Aj said snapping his fingers.  “All this Rayne and Druid crap, I almost forgot about him, how is he?”

 

“Huh?” Brian said confused about the Rayne comment. “He’s pretty quiet, not really talking much but he told Kevin he wanted to see you, so big man sent me to get you.” Brian said looking at Rayne.  “What about her?”

 

“Dunno.” Aj said looking back quickly.  He then looked at Avit.  “I’ll be in Nick’s room if you need me.”

 

“Alright.” Avit said with a nod.  Aj looked at Brian and then they both headed out of the doors and this time Aj didn’t even give the guards any notice.  They walked down to the guy’s room and opened the door.  When Aj walked in he saw Howie and Kevin sitting on the couches.  He looked over to Nick’s bed and saw him sitting up against the back, Nalia sitting on the bed beside him.  He looked back over to Howie and Kevin as they got up and walked over to him.

 

“What’s up?” Aj asked Kevin.

 

“He wants to talk to you, I think he remembers.” Kevin said with a small frown.  Aj nodded as his friends left the room.  He looked over to Nick as Nalia walked by and he gave her a light smile but her face just showed concern.  When the doors closed he looked back at Nick.

 

“How’s the head?” Aj asked as he stood near the middle of the room.

 

“It hurts.” Nick said quietly.

 

“You know all that stuff you did wasn’t your fault.” Aj said as he pulled out a chair and sat down.

 

“That’s what they keep telling me.” Nick sighed.  “But I should have been able to do something, and I couldn’t, I couldn’t do anything.”

 

“Rayne’s mom said the same thing.” Aj said to him.  “You couldn’t do anything because you had no control; it was Ignis controlling you, using you and your memories.”

 

“How is she doing?” Nick asked as he looked at Aj.

 

“I guess she’s ok, we don’t know when she’ll wake up though.” He said as it started to sink in.

 

“Nalia said she hit her head?”

 

“Yeah, when she had pulled Ignis away from you, he pushed her to the ground, I didn’t know what happened until Ignis took off and we checked on you.” Aj said as he felt his eyes begin to water and he fought them back.

 

“Alex that memory I showed her.” Nick said but stopped.

 

“You.” Aj said looking at him, making eye contact with him.  “Didn’t show her anything, it was Ignis, and it was something she had to know about anyways.”

 

“But not that way” Nick said and Aj saw him start to cry a little, fighting it. “You should have been able to tell her, she should have heard it from you.”

 

“I know dude and trust me I wish that too, but what happened, happened, alright.” Aj said looking at him.  “You had no control over anything, it’s not your fault, I know that and she knows that.”  Nick looked up at him and a small smile cracked from his lips.  “Seriously dude, don’t beat yourself up over this, we still need to take care of Ignis, so take it out on him.”

 

“Now that I can certainly do.” Nick said with a nod.  He smiled back at his friend with a light laugh.  A small noise made Aj look around the room confused.  “Damn, didn’t that dude eat at all?” Nick asked.  Aj looked over to him and saw Nick rubbing his stomach.

 

“I thought it sounded familiar.” Aj said rolling his eyes.  “I’ll send some food up for you.”

 

“Nice.” Nick said with a nod. 

 

“Have you talked to Nalia?” Aj asked.

 

“No, Kevin’s been on me like glue.” Nick said rolling his eyes a little.  “Brian too.”

 

“Oh man dude, I wanted to deck the fucker.” Aj said sighing.

 

“Why?” Nick said looking at him.  Aj told him what happened back at the cottage, what Brian had said in front of Rayne.  “What did she say?”

 

“Well I had to talk to her about what Ignis had shown her.” Aj said making sure Nick knew he was talking about Ignis and not him.  “And she asked what Brian had meant.”

 

“Oh to be a fly on the wall.” Nick said with a sarcastic smile.

 

“Yeah well bite me.” Aj said with a light laugh.  “He was on my ass and her ass the whole time dude, I swear, he even shoved her when Rayne had the tree on you.”

 

“She did that!” Nick squealed a little.  “Dude that thing fuckin hurt, it had like, a death grip and its bark was poking me in some not so friendly places.”  Aj lightly laughed at his friend.  “Good to know he cares.” Nick sighed. Aj started laughing a little harder.

 

“Glad to see you’re laughing.” Aj said as he stood up.  Nick lightly shrugged. “Want me to send in Nalia?”

 

“Yeah.” Nick said as he sat up a little.

 

“Remember she’s not one of us; don’t raze her about stabbing you.” Aj said with a light smile.

 

            “Oh I will, I’ll just wait a couple of weeks.” Nick said with a light smile.

 

            “You’re an ass.” Aj said with a laugh as he walked over to the door.  He stopped when he grabbed the knob and turned back to Nick.  “Glad you’re back man.”

 

“Me too.” Nick nodded.  Aj laughed again and then opened the door and walked out.

 

“Is he ok?” Nalia asked before Brian.

 

“I think he’ll be ok, but he wants to talk to you now, alone.” Aj said looking at Nalia and then to Brian.

 

“Alright.” Nalia said with a nod and then walked over to Nick’s bedroom doors.

 

“Is he really ok?” Kevin asked.

 

“I think so; he just needed to be told it wasn’t his fault ya know?”

 

“We did.” Brian said sighing.

 

“From someone he hurt.” Kevin said looking at his cousin. 

 

“Well I need to go see Rayne.” Aj sighed.

 

“What’s with the guards and all that?” Kevin asked.

 

“Long story, I’ll tell you tomorrow.” Aj said waving Kevin off as he walked passed him.  He walked over to her bedroom door.  He ignored the guards and pushed on them walking into her room.  Without wasting a step he walked over to the guard by the fire place.

 

“You don’t need to be here while I sleep.” Aj said looking at him.

 

“I was told.”

 

“I do not care what you were told, I am King, this is my Palace, and she.” Aj said pointing to Rayne.  “Is a Guardian, I am a Guardian and you or Elder Rexil do not want to push me.  Now leave this room and park outside with your friends.”

 

The guard looked back at him and Aj could tell he wanted to fight him on it.  But he said nothing as he gritted his teeth and headed to the doors.  He opened them and walked out, Aj heard the guards asking questions as the door closed.  He walked over to them and locked it, making sure the two outside didn’t come in to find out what was going on.

 

“Well done Sir.” Avit said with a light nod.

 

“I’m trying to save this freakin place and she’s hassling me over stupid shit.” Aj said walking over to Avit.

 

“I will have guards set up across the hall to make sure you are not disturbed.” Avit said as he stood up.  “The Druids have never abused their power like this before, always letting the Kings rule.”

 

“Yeah well we know why she’s doing this.” Aj said looking at Rayne.  “And I’m not standing for it anymore.  I want to meet with these other Druids tomorrow.”

 

“Very well Sir.” Avit said with a nod as they approached the door.  “I am sorry about this.”

 

“It’s ok Avit, like you said you didn’t know.” Aj said with a light smile.  Avit smiled back and then unlocked the door.  Aj reached for it and closed it over as Avit walked out to the guards protest over Rayne being alone in the room.  He sighed when he heard the click of the lock and turned leaning back against the door.  Closing his eyes he let the silence seep into his ears, no shouting, no fighting, no Ignis, no water, and no ghosts.  He rolled his head to the left and looked at Rayne as she lied in her bed.

 

He pushed himself off the door and slowly walked over to her.  “What did you get yourself into?” He asked her, even though he knew she wouldn’t respond.  His eyes stared at her for a moment and then he reached up and pulled on the rope that held a curtain.  It fell over and blocked her face.  He walked around the bed and drew all the curtains around the bed. 

 

Aj made his way over to the bathroom and turned on the faucet in the sink filling it up with steaming water.  He put the cloth in and then undid his robe and shirt, letting them drop off him to the floor.  Reaching into the sink he pulled out the heavy soaked cloth and ringed it out.  Placing it on the back of his neck, he closed his eyes as the hot cloth relaxed his tense neck muscles.

 

With his eyes closed, his headache easing, his body relaxing, his mind went back to Rayne.  If he had been back home he would have freaked because she hit her head so hard but he was here with all this magic so why wouldn’t she be ok.  Then the Priests couldn’t wake her in the Springs and now they told him to wait, and let her wake when she’s ready.  If Aj didn’t know any better she was in a coma.  Maybe she was, Magic didn’t always work, he remembered being told that when he first came here. 

 

He dropped the cloth back into the water and soaked it again.  Pulling it out he grabbed it and twisted it, letting the water fall from it.  Placing the cloth on his neck again he rested his hands on the side of the stone sink and lowered his head.  He looked over at the bed, the drapes closed, he thought about that.  Her laying there in a coma, the one that accepted him before anyone else, the one who made him open his eyes and see this place for what it was, and the one that made him feel like a person again was lying there helpless.  Nothing he could do could help her, no spell, no medicine, nothing.  The emotion over whelmed him and as he gasped lightly for air he began to cry.  He pulled the cloth from his neck and dropped it into the sink as he slowly backed away from it.  When his back hit the stone pillar he slowly slid down the wall trying to stop his tears.  Bringing his knees up, he rested his elbows on his legs and laid his forehead on his fists.  He tried to calm himself but it was like a dam breaking.  With his eyes closed his lashes soaked, he laid his head back against the stone pillar and then looked up.  He wasn’t sure why his God wasn’t here and he didn’t have any clue about this one.  He just wanted her to wake up, to be here with him, beside him.

 

Aj looked over to the bed and waited but nothing happened.  No sound or movement and he couldn’t help but laugh at himself for even thinking it.  He closed his eyes again and took a deep breath before standing up and walking back over to the sink.

 

After he cleaned up his mess he went back into the room and changed for bed.  He walked over to his side and pulled back curtain.  Carefully he pulled back the blankets and crawled in beside Rayne.  He laid on his side and slipped his fingers around hers.  Laying his head on his arm, he looked at her, watching her.  She looked peaceful like she did all those nights he would watch her sleep.  His eyes didn’t move from her face and soon they closed over as he fell asleep.

 

 

                                                           

Chapter 19 by VeeLynn
The Guardian Crusade

Volume I





Chapter 19



Aj pushed on the giant wooden doors and walked into the large dinning room. He looked around at all the people chatting. Kevin was talking to Howie; Brian was talking to Nick and Nalia, Rayne’s mom was talking to Nalia’s mom Evia but she stopped and looked up at Aj when he walked in. He tried to crack a smile at her but he couldn’t, he was still recovering from this morning. For some reason he woke up expecting Rayne to be awake, but she wasn’t. She was still upstairs, still sleeping, if it was sleeping.



He sat down in his chair completely unaware that the whole table was looking at him now. The maid walked over at set a plate down in front of him and curtsied before she left. He picked up his fork and looked at his breakfast meal. It was then he felt all eyes on him and he looked up too see everyone staring at him.



“Yes?” Aj said looking at everyone. Everyone just looked around at each other with their eyes, and Aj dropped his fork and sat back. “What?” He asked.



“We were just wondering if you had plans.” Kevin said. “Are we going to go after Ignis, or do you wanna wait a couple of days, and see if Rayne wakes up.”



Aj sat there for a minute all eyes on him. It was kind of weird everyone looking at him waiting for an answer too see what to do, usually it was everyone looking at Kevin. He picked up his fork and stabbed an egg; he took a deep breath and looked up.



“I need to talk to the Druids first get them to drop this stupid charge on Rayne.” Aj said as he slowly poked at his food. “We still need to find the tale, if I understand right there were two other Guardians Genua and Alia.”



“They were the ones that tried to stop Ignis from changing the tale.” Halian said.



“So before everything happened who had the tale?” Aj asked looking at Halian. She sat there for a moment in thought, searching the new memory for the answer.



“It was with the Elvaan’s.” Halian said.



“What if Ignis has it?” Kevin asked. “Maybe he took it after he killed the Guardians and changed it.”



“I think he hid it.” Nick said and everyone quickly looked at him a little shocked he spoke up. “He would worry about one of the new Guardians finding it on him and figuring it out.”



“We have Rem correct?” Nalia asked looking at Aj.



“Yeah, Avit put him in a special cell, apparently.” Aj said with a shrug.



“Maybe he knows?” She said to him.



“Would he even talk?” Aj asked her.



“Oh yes.” Halian said as pushed her plate away. “He will talk; I will make sure of it.” Halian said and a small smile cracked from Aj’s lips.



“Find out what you can from him and then we will see where that leads, hopefully it’ll give us some kind of clue on where to look for it.” Aj said as he looked back down at his food. Everyone went back to eating except for Halian she had gotten up and went down to see Rem, Aj made sure she took Avit with her.



“Dude” He heard Kevin say and he looked up. “What about Rayne?” Aj looked away quickly and then sighed.



“There’s nothing we can do and she wouldn’t want us sitting around waiting for her to wake up, we need to find the tale, and we need to stop Ignis.” Aj said as he put his fork down. Truth be told, it was only part of it, he knew that’s what Rayne would have wanted, but a piece of him wanted him to move forward with this. It would help keep his mind of her.













Aj walked through the city with Avit by his side; they headed towards a large park area. Marsa took him here once when they had gone for a walk through the city to talk about what Alex had been told about who he was. They hadn’t gone very far in the first time, so when they entered a part of the park he had never been too he started to look around.



“Wow, these trees are huge.” Aj said looking at the large trunk trees.



“Here we are.” Avit said and Aj looked forward and saw a large building built from cobble stone. There were flowers of every colour lining the bottom of the house along with large mushroom stools scattered through out the front lawn. A couple of Elvaans tended to the flowers and the garden. “You will be meeting with High Druid Larsung, High Druid Emarla and High Druid Drania, along with Elder Rexil.”



“Fun” Aj sighed. They walked into the build and a tall Blonde haired Elvaan woman approached them.



“If you will follow me King Alexander.” She said with a light bow. Aj quickly looked at Avit and then followed the woman down the hall to their right, Avit followed behind him. She led them down to a door at the end of the hall and opened it, stopping beside it and motioning for the two to go in. He walked into the room and saw the four Elvaans sitting at a round wooden table. When they saw him walk in all four stood up and bowed to him.



“It is an honor your Majesty.” They said as they greeted him.



“I wish we could have met under better circumstances.” Said an Elvaan man with dark long hair, his hair was braided at the sides, his eyes a piercing green. “I am High Druid Larsung.” He said with a nod. “This is High Druid Drania.” He said as he pointed to an Elvaan woman with short brown hair, her bangs were long and covered one eye. She nodded to him when Larsung said her name. “This is High Druid Emarla.” He introduced the other Elvaan woman, whose long dark red hair was tied tightly in a braided bun, she lightly smiled at him. “And you know Elder Rexil.”



“Yeah.” Aj said not looking at her.



“We understand your feelings for Rayne and we understand you are new to our land, our world.” Larsung said to him. “When you are a Druid, you respect all living things, you respect their life, and you protect that life.”



“And that’s what she was doing.” Aj said as he looked at Larsung. “She was protecting Nick, she was fighting for him, for you, for this place, for these people and you wanna throw her in jail?” Aj said not being able to hold his emotions back.



“We know you have feelings for her, you’re both Human and so.” Drania spoke but Aj interrupted her.



“Why do you guys keep saying I’m Human, this is a spell to make me look this way, I am Marsa’s son, that makes me Elvaan, like you.”



“You are not like us!” Rexil said to him angrily.



“Rexil please” Larsung said to her.



“I am sorry Larsung, but I will not have this, this Human come in here and tell us how to deal with our Druids.” Rexil said pointing to Aj.



“And I’m not having you get in the way of me doing my job as King and as Guardian!” Aj shouted back. “Rayne did nothing wrong and she will not be punished, and I don’t care if I have to dismantle this fucking Council to do it!” Aj said as he slammed his fist down onto the table. Everyone sat there in silence; he stared at them hard, letting them know he wasn’t playing games with them.



“I am a Guardian, Rayne is a Guardian, and you will not get in our way.” He said as he stood up straighter.



“Avit” Rexil said as she sat down in her chair. “I suggest you take your Human King and leave the Druid Gardens.” Rexil said, she then looked at Aj. “Guards have been sent and she has already been moved, our Druids will wake her, and she will face trial.” Rexil said as Aj felt the rage rush through him.



Aj stepped forward but Avit stopped him. “We better go see Rayne Sir.” Avit said looking at him. Aj looked at Rexil and the other Druids and then stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind him. Avit slowly turned and looked at the four Elvaan Druids.



“He is the son of Marsa, he is not human, and even if he was, because of him you sit here today in Winnol of Pixcadia, and not Winnol of the Evil Army.” Avit said angrily and then turned, leaving the room.



Aj was almost out of the park by the time Avit caught up to him. The two said nothing as they hurried back to the Castle. The guards were at the front doors as usual but this time Aj didn’t great him as they usually did. He made his way through the front lobby not looking to see who was standing around chatting today. He ran up the steps two at a time and darted right for Rayne’s room. When he approached the door he saw there were no guards anymore and the door was open. Aj flew into the room and saw the guys, Nalia, Nalia’s Mom Evia, and Halian.



“They took her Alex.” Halian said as she walked over to him, he could tell she had been crying.



“We tried to stop them man but we didn’t wanna start a fight in the Castle.” Kevin said looking at him.



“I know, they told me while I was meeting with them.” Aj said trying to hold in his anger.



“Sounds like to me they didn’t care what you had to say.” Howie said looking at him.



“No.” Aj said as he remembered Rexil’s words.



“What do we do?” Nick asked as he walked up to Aj. He looked at Nick and then to his friends.



“I dunno” Aj said as he moved away from them over to the window.



“Why are they being such asses?” Aj heard Nick ask.



“They are bothered by his Human form, it is hard for them to take order from a..” Avit stopped.



“Human.” Aj said to himself as the others talked behind him. He thought about Rayne, he wondered if they really could wake her, what would happen if they did. He thought about her waking up there alone, finding out what they were doing this too her.



“Alex?” Halian said from beside him. He felt her hand touch his arm and he looked at her. “She would not want you wasting anymore time trying to fix this thing with the Council, you are all so close to getting Ignis.” Aj looked back at the window.



“I don’t even no where to start; we don’t know how to kill him or where the tale is.” Aj said as he looked back at her.



“The Elvaans were the last to have it perhaps Marsa has something in his meeting room, among his books, or letters?” Halian asked.



“I’ve been through all the ones that talk about the Guardians’ or the tales.” Aj said with a sigh.



“Maybe his journal?”



“His journal?” Aj asked as he looked at her.



Halian nodded. “Yes Marsa always kept one; perhaps Avit knows where it is.”



“Maybe” Aj said looking at his General. “Thanks.” He said as he looked back at her.



“We have a plan.” Aj heard Kevin say and he turned to look at his friends. They were all looking at him.



“What’s that?” He asked wondering.



“We take you’re army and we rush Hevi through the globe, we get Rossi to rush with his army through their globe.” Kevin said looking at him.



“How do we turn on our globe or the Tokin globe?” Aj asked.



“Nalia said when she was at the Palace with Nick.” Kevin said looking at Nick. “She said the Globe to Sarila was on, so if we enter from there and then hopefully they will be caught off guard by our rush so we can get a group to go in the other room and turn it on.” Kevin said.



“If we even need them.” Avit said. “His army has been deserting from every direction.”



“We still need the tale.” Nalia said looking around at everyone.



“I say we just go there and kick his ass, who cares about the tale we’ll find it later, when he’s dead.” Nick said as he sat on the edge of the desk.



“Avit do you know where Marsa’s journal is?” Aj asked him.



“Yes.” Avit said with a nod.



“I need to see it.” Aj said to him. “I will check to see if Marsa says anything about it, if not, we go at Ignis, we’ll find a way to kill him.”



“I will bring it too you.” Avit said with a nod and then quickly left the room. Aj leaned back against the windowsill and took a deep breath. Things sure had changed since they had popped up here all those weeks ago. How everything seemed to pick up when they left for Darlawind and it hadn’t stopped since. Aj froze for a moment, his brain on the edge of revealing something, he waited thinking, and then it hit him. Darlawind.



“Darlawind.” Aj said looking up.



“What?” The guys said looking at him.



“Darlawind.” Aj said again.



“The city on the island?” Halian asked.



“Yeah.” Aj nodded. “Remember when we first got here, why did Johon go there?” Aj asked.



“To attack Darlawind?” Kevin asked.



“Why?” Aj asked. “Every other time he went right for the Capital.” Everyone looked around the room at each other as they thought about what Aj had to say.



“You think the tale is there, that is why he went there first?” Nalia asked.



“But we stopped him before he could get to the city.” Aj said nodding.



“Then we go there.” Nick said nodding. “Maybe Avit can tell us more about the City, maybe there might be a clue too where it is.”



“Better than what we had to go on ten minutes ago.” Aj said looking at him.



“I need to get some things.” Nalia said looking at Nick.



“I think we all need to get ready.” Nick said looking at his friends.



“I am going to go find Avit, let him know, we’ll go check out Darlawind while he gets the army together.” Aj said as he started to walk across the room.



“What about Rayne dude?” Nick asked as Aj reached the door.



“I can’t do anything right now but do what she wanted and that’s getting rid of Ignis.” Aj said and then he opened the door and left the room.













Rayne sat in the garden outside of the Drisel Castle, the sun was high in the sky, flowers in full bloom around her, and she sat there staring at them. Not moving, not blinking, she sat with her knees curled under her. Her hand resting on the grass beside her, she leaned on it holding herself up. The sound of something coming up behind her still was not enough to break her from her daze.



Pax walked around the front of her and whined a little as she sniffed Rayne’s hand. She nuzzled her nose under her fingers and jerked a little, the wolf pulled away but Rayne still did not move. The wolf backed away and whined as she turned a little and then went back to Rayne again. She barked with a little howl and Rayne didn’t flinch. Pax whined as she lied down beside her but looked up when someone approached them.



“Rayne?” Rexil said as she walked up behind her. “Rayne can you here me?” Rexil asked. She walked around the front of her and looked down as she stood over top of Rayne. Slowly she knelt down and looked at Rayne’s blank stare. “Follow my voice Rayne, you are stuck, follow me back Rayne.”



Rayne looked up and saw Elder Rexil looking at her; she blinked and slowly looked around. She was in a bed but not her bed, in a room that wasn’t her room. Rayne tried to sit up but that’s when the throbbing head pain hit her and she moaned reaching for her head.



“You must lie down, you hit your head, a nasty bump you got.” Rexil said as Rayne tried to open her eyes.



“What happened?” Rayne said in a whisper but it sounded to her like she was yelling. “Where is Alex is he alright?” She asked.



“He is fine, do not worry about him right now Rayne we have more serious things to discuss.” Rexil said to her.



Rayne opened her eyes a little wider. “We do?” She asked a little confused.



“You attacked someone’s Life Aura, you know what that means.” Rexil said.



“I..” Rayne stopped trying to remember. “I helped Nick, I did not attack him.”



“That will be up to interpretation by the Council.” Rexil said to her.



“Wait you can not be serious.” Rayne said in protest.



“Your trial starts in two hours.” Rexil said as she headed towards the door.



“Elder Rexil I am a Guardian and I demand.”



“You will demand nothing from me.” Rexil said angrily to her. “I will tell you the same thing I told King Alexander, I will not take orders from Humans, and I do not take orders from Druids.” Rayne laid there in shock as she watched the Elder leave the room and the door closed.













Aj sat at the large desk in Marsa’s meeting room. He stared at the journal in front of him as it sat closed. There was nothing useful in the journal about the tale but he did find something that might help Rayne. It was a long shot and he wasn’t even sure if he really wanted to do it. He looked up when his door opened and Kevin walked in.



“We’re ready to go to Darlawind.” Kevin said walking up to him. Aj stared at him for a minute his thoughts still on the journal.



“Huh?” He said looking at Kevin confused. “Oh right.” He said quickly when Kevin’s words finally registered with his brain. He stood up, picking up the journal and tucked it into his bag.



“You ok?” Kevin asked as Aj walked over to him.



“Yeah sorry was thinking.” Aj said shaking off the question.



“Did you talk to Avit?” Kevin asked.



“Yeah, he said to check the Library.” Aj said with a light shrug. “It has archives; they’ve had no reason to look there before.”



“Nice.” Kevin said nodding. “It’s a start.”



“Yup” Aj agreed. “Did everyone head to the Gryphon tower?” He asked.



“Yeah, I went to get you and meet them there.” Kevin said as they walked out into the city. As they walked down the main road and headed towards the town square, they both notice all the people stopped in the street.



“Another party?” Aj said to Kevin.



“They party a lot.” Kevin said looking at him with a light smile. Aj was always up for a party, even after he sobered up, he still loved to go out to have a good time, let loose and have fun.



“King Alexander are you here to stop them?” An Elvaan peasant woman said as she walked up to him.



“Stop who?” Aj asked her confused.



“The Druid Council they have announced that Queen Rayne will be put on trial for breaking the Druid laws.” She told him.



Aj sighed. “Who said this?” He asked her. The woman pointed to the fountain area and Aj looked at Kevin. He then made his way through the crowd and towards the town fountain. When he reached the center he saw two Druid guards standing by the town announcement board.



“What is going on?” Aj asked as he walked up to them.



“We are here to announce the trail has been set for Queen Rayne.” The guard said to Aj, looking at him like he was sick with the flu.



“And when’s this?” Aj asked.



“In two hours.” The man said with a light smile.



“And how is she going to get a fair trial if she’s past out?” Kevin snapped at the guard.



“She is not asleep; the Council woke her a half hour ago. She is being held until said time.” The guard said to Aj and then both of them walked away.



“She’s awake?” Aj said confused. “Damn it.” He said as he looked at Kevin angrily. Aj then turned away from the board and headed out of the fountain area.



“Where are you going?” Kevin asked catching up.



“We’re going to Darlawind remember?” Aj said a little snappy. “If we can’t fine anything there we go right to Ignis.”



“What about Rayne?” Kevin asked.



“I have an idea so let’s hope we can get this done in two hours.” Aj said as he looked at his friend.



“Gee you’re not asking for much.” Kevin said sarcastically as they made their way to the tower.



“What’s up?” Howie asked when he saw Kevin and Aj walk through the Tower doorway, he saw the look on Aj’s face and knew something was up. Aj said nothing as he headed over to his Gryphon and began packing up.



“What’s going on?” Nick asked Kevin concerned.



“We were on our way here and we ran into a crowd at the fountain.” Kevin said as he looked from Aj to everyone else. “Those Druid Guards were posting an announcement.”



“About?” Nick asked.



“Rayne, her trial starts in two hours.” Kevin said.



“Two hours?” Brian said shocked. “But she’s not even awake yet.”



“She is now.” Kevin said.



“What?” Nalia said shocked as her mouth dropped.



“That’s what the guards said; they told him the Druids woke her up about a half hour ago.” Kevin told them.



“He’s still coming with us?” Howie asked.



“Yes I am.” Aj said as he walked passed them. “I’m not going to spend the next two hours fighting with them to let me see her, might as well do something useful.” He said as he picked up another bag and headed back towards the Gryphon. Kevin looked at them and just shrugged.



Aj tucked the bag tightly and securely into the straps around the Gryphon. He then turned around and looked for Avit but he wasn’t there. He wondered if his General was running around trying to find him, too tell him about Rayne. Turning back around he doubled check the straps. His fingers slid down the short fur and the Gryphon shook his head as it snorted. Aj looked it him and lightly smiled as he gently patted the giant flying beast. When he heard the door open from behind him he turned around and saw Avit walking right over to him.

“The preparations have begun we’ll be ready within the hour and I have sent men to Rossi to tell him to stand ready.” Avit said as he tucked his helm under his arm.



“If we can’t find the tale or it doesn’t have the answers we need we’re going to have to improvise.” Aj said as he looked at Avit.



“If there is anything to be found in Darlawind it would be at the library.” Avit said to him. Aj nodded as he looked to his friends and then looked back to Avit.



“I need you to do be another favor.” Aj said to his General.



“Anything Sir” Avit said with a nod.



“I’m not really sure what a lot of these things are but I need them, so if you could pick them up for me before I get back?” Aj said as he handed Avit a folded piece of paper.



“Of Course” Avit agreed as he took the paper from Aj and tucked it behind his chest piece.



“You ready?” Kevin asked as he walked over.



“Yup” Aj said with a nod as he turned towards his Gryphon.



“It should only take us about fifteen minutes to fly there.” Nalia said to Aj as she waited for Nick to get onto his Gryphon. She then looked from Aj to Nick. “Are you sure you are up to this?” She asked him as Nick grabbed the reins.



“I’m good.” Nick said with a nod. “No worries.” She lightly smiled at him and then walked to her Gryphon.



Aj pulled himself up onto the back of the Gryphon and settled in. He grabbed the reigns and slowly turned the giant bird around. He looked up and saw Avit closing the door behind him as he left the tower. He took a deep breath as he stared at the door for a minute. His glare was broken by Kevin walking past him.



“Ready?” Kevin asked.



“Let’s get’er done” Aj said with a southern twang. Kevin rolled his eyes as he moved his Gryphon as Nick took off.



“Ready?” Howie said and Aj looked over thinking he was talking to him.



“Lord no.” Brian said as he closed his eyes and held onto Howie with a death grip.



“This is going to be a long fifteen minutes.” Howie said to Aj as he gently kicked the Gryphon, the bird jerked as he took off and Brian screamed, like a girl, and it made Aj laugh a little. He watched as Kevin took off, then Nick and then Nalia. When Nalia was a safe distance away Aj gently kicked his Gryphon and it jumped into the air, spreading its wings and flapping. It pulled them higher and higher with every swoop of its giant stride.



Some of the places they past over looked familiar and Aj wondered how much of the flight path followed the flight path they took the first time they were out here. He looked down at the trees as they reached the shore line of the island, the sand was a white colour almost looking like snow, the water was a light baby blue and you could see how far the shore line stretched out in to the large cannel of water separating the land of Winnol from Winnol Island.



“Aj!” He heard Nick shout from ahead and he looked up and saw Nick pointing to their left. He looked over quickly wondering what he saw; when his eyes hit the large empty patch of forest and broken trees. Aj recognized the area as the place where he and others realized how much power he had, he then looked back to Nick.



“Fix your divot dude.” Nick shouted with a laugh. For some reason the golf reference to the giant mess Aj left in the forest when he conjured the Tohil spell cracked him up. He started laughing really hard and had to lean forward to hold himself up.



“You’re so funny asshat!” Aj shouted back after he calmed down. He needed a good laugh and he didn’t care that the others didn’t catch on, because they weren’t there. As he looked back he saw the damage had lessened but it was still there and he followed the path of broken trees and debris. If he didn’t know any better it went all the way to the other side of the island.



“There she is!” Nalia shouted and Aj looked ahead, he took a deep breath when he saw the giant clock tower of what looked like a church. “Over there!” Nalia shouted and Aj looked to where she was pointing. Another giant tower stood at the corner of the city. Aj and the others guided their Gryphon’s towards the tower and landed safely in the Elvaan city.



“King Alexander it is truly and honor to have you finally visit our fine city.” An Elvaan man said as he walked up to him. “My name is Myrdon and I am the Head Councilor of the city.”



“Hi.” Aj said with a nod as the man bowed to him.



“Avit sent word and said you need to use the library.” The Elvaan said as the others gathered around them, even Brian who was still shaking a little, and his colour hadn’t come back.



“Yeah we need to find out if there is any information about where the tale could be.” Aj said to him.



“Many of the papers and books we have here are very old but if there is anything on the tale of Pixca than it would be in the Archives.” The General said to him. “I shall take you there myself.”



Aj nodded at him and the man lightly smiled as he motioned for them to follow him. They walked down the spiral staircase of the tower to the bottom and out the wooden door. He looked around at the people as they stopped to look at the new King, for most of them it was for the first time. The place looked a lot like Winnol. Houses and buildings made of trees and stones, all that was missing was the Tree Castle.



“Darlawind is a newer city compared to Winnol.” Myrdon said.



“How old is Winnol?” Aj asked.



“Thousands of years.” The Elvaan said.



“Seriously” Aj said shocked.



“It is the very spot Pixca created us, created us from the very roots of the trees we live in and protect.” He said with a light smile.



“How old is Darlawind?” Kevin asked.



“Only a thousand years.” Myrdon said as they walked down a busy Market street.



“Only.” Nick said with a little laugh.



“It doesn’t look that old, neither does Winnol really.” Howie said looking around.



“Everything dies eventually even buildings, when the time comes we build anew.” Myrdon said. “The only original building still around is the Tree Castle, created by Pixca herself.”



“Interesting” Kevin said as he slightly raised his eyebrow.



“I am a little disappointed to see Queen Rayne is not here with you.” Myrdon said.



“Perhaps you did not hear Myrdon but while fighting Ignis Queen Rayne was injured.” Nalia said as she quickly looked at Aj.



“Oh that is most unfortunate.” The Elvaan said sadly.



“So where is this library?” Aj asked trying to change the subject.



“We are almost there your Majesty just down this road here.” Myrdon said with a light smile. They walked the rest of the way in silence and when they had passed about five more houses they stopped in front of a large stone building.



The Elvaan led them into the Library and everyone looked around when they entered. It pretty much looked like a Library, shelves, books, tables, and people reading quietly. The smells were oddly the same too, the smell off old musky leather and paper.



“The Archives are in the basement.” The man said pointing to a door near the back desk. “I wish you luck.” He said with a bow.



“Thanks.” Aj said nodding back to him. The Elvaan lightly smiled at then walked away. Aj looked around at everyone and then headed towards the door by the desk. He turned the knob and opened the door, the staircase was dark and he searched for a light.



“Brian we need light.” Aj said looking back. Brian walked up and flicked out a light spell and the stone walls lit up. “Thanks.” Everyone followed Aj down the stairs and the tall ones brushed the cobwebs out of the way.



“How are we going to go through all of this in an hour?” Howie said looking around.



“Just skim, I guess.” Aj said a little frustrated by all the books. “Look for something that stands out about the Guardians or Ignis or something.”



Everyone walked around the room finding their own section of shelving too look through. Aj could here light mumbling as his friends skimmed over titles, through sentences and paragraphs. It was kind of annoying; it was hard enough to concentrate with this two hour count down going on, let alone all this mumbling.



The more time that past the more Aj’s eyes hurt, the more dry they got, the more his head began to hurt from all the reading. His eyes locked on the word have, and they wouldn’t move. Finally with a frustrated growl he slapped the book closed and slammed it back into its spot on the shelf.



“Alex?” Kevin said from behind him.



“This is useless.” Aj said turning around. “We need to get moving on Ignis.”



“Dude maybe you shouldn’t rush this.” Nick said as he sat on a table.



“I’m not rushing anything, you heard Avit, the army’s falling apart, let’s just do this now.” Aj said as he headed to the stairs. “We should be heading back now anyways.”



“Are you leaving your highness?” Myrdon asked as Aj and the crew walked outside of the Library.



“Yeah, couldn’t really fine anything, and we have other things to take care of.” Aj said as he stopped and waited for everyone to catch up.



“That is disappointing.” The Elvaan said.



“It’s ok, thanks for helping us though.” Aj said giving him a light smile. The man bow and headed towards the tower. Aj quickly looked around to make sure all his friends were with him and then followed the man. He didn’t really pay attention to everyone in the back talking about little things they had read in the books they were looking through. He found it best to just look around at things going on, to take his mind off of everything. His eyes were distracted by a bunch of Elvaan children playing around a statue. The little ones tried to climb it, laughing and giggling at the fact they weren’t tall enough to get up. Aj lightly smiled as he looked at the kids make shift jungle gym.



It was a statue of an Elvaan of course; a female Elvaan and she wore a long dress, her hair up in a ponytail only pieces of her bangs fell along the side of her face. Aj slowed his steps as he continued to look at it. She stood strong as she held her sword at her side and what looked like a piece of paper out in front of her.



“Who’s that?” Aj asked as he looked at Myrdon. Everyone was already a few feet ahead of him and they stopped and looked at him, then looked at the statue.



“That is Darlaynas she was our first High Councilor.” Myrdon told them.



“What is she holding?” He asked.



“It is just a statue of her holding the declaration for the land.” Myrdon said. Aj looked at the marble that fell from her hand, carved to look like a scroll. It sparkled in the sun light; Aj looked up and realized the sun wasn’t shinning on the stature.



“Alex?” Kevin said and Aj looked over. “Are you coming?” He asked, they had all started walking again and now were well ahead of him. Aj looked back to the statue and looked at the scroll again, he swore it was sparkling. He slowly raised his hand and motioned for Kevin to give him a second but he didn’t take his eyes of the marble. As he got closer he saw for sure that it was sparkling but he needed to get closer to see why.



Reaching up he grabbed onto the statue’s arm and stepped up onto the pedestal. He heard Kevin yell at him to get down, and Brian asked what he was doing but he ignored them and swung around to the other side to get a better view of the scroll.



“Dude seriously what are you doing?” Nick asked as everyone reached him.



“Can you guys see that?” Aj asked as he hung around the side. Everyone looked at the statue, they looked at the scroll.



“I don’t see anything?” Howie said shaking his head.



“You’re stressed out man; get down before you hurt yourself.” Kevin said reaching up for him.



“I see it.” Nick said and Aj looked back at him.



“I do too.” Nalia said looking at both of them.



“See what?” Brian asked.



“I can’t read it.” Nick said.



“It’s in Elvaan.” Nalia replied.



“Can you write it down?” Aj asked her.



“There’s paper and that at the Library.” Nick said and before anyone could say anything he took off towards the building. Aj slowly and carefully got down from the statue. As he brushed off he realized all the people were looking at him and he realized how funny it must have been for them to see their King climbing a statue.



“I will be happy to translate it for you.” Myron said as he walked up to Aj.



“Thank you.” Aj said. “But I would like for Avit to do that.” Aj told him.



“Of Course” The Elvaan said with a small smile and nod. Aj was glad he didn’t pressure him more on it.



“Here.” Nick said as he ran up to them, out of breath holding the piece of paper. Nalia took it and copied what was written, she then handed the paper the Aj.



“Alright let’s go.” Aj said as they started to walk to the tower again.



“What do you think it is?” Nick asked.



“Dunno” Aj said with a shrug. “But it has to mean something if just the three of us can see it.”
Chapter 20 by VeeLynn

                                    The Guardian Crusade

                              Volume I

 

                                                            Chapter 20

 

Aj, Nick, Nalia and the guys sat in Aj’s meeting room waiting for Avit to arrive.  Aj had sent word that they needed to see him as soon as they landed.  Everyone but Aj was busy talking and chatting on what could have written on the statue.

 

“Do you think it could be the tale?” Nalia asked.

 

“Maybe” Nick said with a shrug.  “Would that be a pisser, right there all this time?” Nick said looking at Aj. He wasn’t looking at him, he was reading a thin book.  “Dude?” Nick said trying to get his attention.  A moment later Aj looked up.

 

“Huh?” He said when he saw everyone staring at him.

 

“What are you reading?” Brian asked as he began to walk over.

 

“Nothing, just Marsa’s journal, just seeing if there was anything I missed.” Aj said as he tucked the book away.  Just then the door opened and everyone looked in hopes it was Avit and it was.  He walked over to Aj and put down the piece of paper. 

 

“What does it say?” Aj asked him.

 

“Evil has come, Evil has found the lady he wanted, the lady is bound.  Her Guards they hunted and fought but death was all they caught.  The Lady is trapped stuck in a cage, waiting for the return of her Druid, Lock, Warrior and Mage.”

 

“Well that’s us.” Nick said with a nod.

 

“Who’s the lady?” Aj asked.

 

“Is this the tale?” Nalia asked.

 

“Sounds like one.” Nick said with a smirk.

 

“But it tells us what to do.” Aj said a little confused.  “Ignis changed it.”

 

“Doesn’t tell you who the lady is though” Kevin commented.

 

“So in the original the Lady’s name was in it.” Nalia said thinking.  “And he just took it out.”

 

“And then he messed with your heads so you’d forget.” Brian commented

 

“Wait a minute.” Kevin said holding up his arm as he sat against the back of the couch, one hand grasping the wooden peak of the sofa.  Everyone looked at him as he looked focused on a thought.

 

“Oh big man’s light bulb went on.” Nick said smiling at Nalia like it was a good thing.  Kevin didn’t move his head but shot Nick a look with his eyes.  Nick just rolled his eyes and looked away.  Aj couldn’t help but giggle as Kevin sat up straighter.

 

“Did Marsa say he was told about Aj in a dream?” He asked.

 

“Yes, all the parents were.” Avit said with a nod.

 

“What if the dream was part of the trick too?” Kevin asked.  “How did they know what to do before Ignis mess with everything?”

 

“Is that what he changed do you think?” Aj asked him.

 

“Maybe, maybe what he found was the letter telling the people when to know a Guardian arrived, what to do, but he changed that to separate you from each other.”

 

“So this one tells you guys what to do after you become Guardians?” Howie said catching on.

 

“That’s why only you three could see it.” Kevin said.

 

“But who’s the Lady?” Nick asked.

 

“Rayne?” Nalia asked.

 

“No.” Aj said shaking his head.  “It says the lady is waiting for all four of us.”

 

“Oh mystery lady you got somethin’ I like…” Brian stopped singing when he saw everyone’s blank stare. 

 

Aj was the first to start laughing and then Kevin followed.  With Kevin laughing it gave Nick the ok to laugh too.  Nalia and Avit stood there in confusion and Howie just rolled his eyes.

 

“Bad joke dude.” Howie sighed.

 

“Oh shut up that was funny.” Brian laughed.

 

“Alright guys get serious.” Kevin said trying to calm down as Nalia and Avit just shrugged at each other.

 

“So we go to Ignis then.” Aj said with a little nod.

 

“Like he’s going to tell us.” Nick said rolling his eyes a little.

 

“Then we’ll beat it out of Ignis.” Aj said in the same tone as before.  Nick laughed as he shook his head, even Nalia cracked a smile.

 

“Then shall we get ready?” Nalia said looking around.

 

“I will go get the men.” Avit said as he headed towards the door.

 

“I need more arrows.” Howie said as he followed Avit to the door.  “I will never get use to saying that.” He snipped as he went out the door.

 

“So this is it.” Kevin said as him and Aj walked down the hall with the others.

 

“Yup.” Aj said with a nod.

 

“So after this we’ll deal with Rayne and get her out?” Kevin asked.

 

“No” Aj said shaking his head.  Kevin looked at him confused. “After this you guys go home and then I’ll deal with Rayne.”

 

“Really?” Kevin asked a little unsure.

 

“I can handle it, it’s really Elvaan business you know politics.” Aj said looking at him. 

 

“Yeah.” Kevin said with a nod.

 

“I know how bad you three wanna get home, so why put it off.”  Aj said.  “I’ll make sure I say goodbye to Rayne for you.”

 

“Thanks man.” Kevin said with a light smile.

 

“So where are we meeting Avit?” Nick asked before he went into his room.

 

“Globe room to Sarila, we’ll enter Hevi from there.” Aj told him.  Nick nodded and then walked in closing the door behind him, even though Howie was waiting to get in.

 

“Ass” Howie said as he grabbed for the door, when it opened Aj could hear Nick laughing inside.

 

“I really hope for the people of Tokia that Rossi lives a very long life.” Kevin said with a sigh to Aj.  Aj cracked up laughing at the burn he had just heard. 

 

“You know you’re going to miss him.” Aj said with a smile.

 

“Yeah.” Kevin laughed.  “Every time I sit on a fucking nail.”

 

Aj laughed again as he watched Kevin walk away towards their room.  He watched as he opened the door and heard Nick and Howie yelling at each other.  The door shut and the hall almost went silent.  Shaking his head he made his way over to his door.

 

“Would you two shut up already?” He heard Kevin yell although somewhat muffled through the door and walls.  He sighed at the thought of them leaving as he closed his door.  The thought of not seeing them again well it sucked and it will suck a lot more when they are actually gone but they would be ok.  They will have lives and move on, and for the first time, he knew, so would he.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Rayne sat against the head of the bed.  Her room was in spell lock, which meant no spells could be cast within the room.  She found that out awhile ago when she tried to send a hawk over to the Gryphon towers when she saw a pack of people take off.  She was to far away to see them clearly but there were six.  She wondered if it was them and why if it was, they were heading in the direction of Darlawind.  Her door opened and she looked from her window to it.  She quickly looked back when she saw Elder Rexil walk in.

 

“Old hag.” She thought to herself.

 

“Rayne?” A familiar voice said. Quickly Rayne looked back and saw her Mother standing beside Rexil.

 

“Mom.” Rayne said relieved to see a familiar face.

 

“You have a half hour.” Rexil said and she walked out of the room.

 

“What are you doing here?” Rayne asked as Halian walked over and sat down.

 

“I came to see you; you were out for a very long time.” Halian said.  “Alex is very worried about you but they won’t let him see you.”

 

“Is he ok?” Rayne asked.  “Is Nick ok?”

 

“Yes, yes Nick is fine.” Halian said with a smile. “I assure you Nalia is taking very good care of him.”

 

“Mother” Rayne said a little shocked.

 

“Oh Rayne” Halian said rolling her eyes as they both lightly laughed.

 

“What about Alex?” Rayne asked.

 

“Like I said he is very worried about you, you should have heard him yelling at Elder Rexil.” Halian whispered.

 

“He yelled at her?” Rayne asked.

 

“If not screamed” Halian said with a nod.  “But you know her.” She sighed.  “Right now he wants to deal with Ignis, he’s trying to end it now, and deal with this when it’s over.”

 

“Well my trial starts soon.” Rayne said.  “How does he plan that?”

 

“I am not sure but him and the others went to Darlawind and..” she was interrupted.

 

“That was them.” Rayne said with a light smile.

 

“Pardon?” Halian asked confused.

 

“Nothing, keep going.” Rayne said taking her Mother’s hand.

 

“Well they found something, I am not sure what it is they found but as soon as they got back they had a short meeting and then went to Sarila.”  Halian told her.

 

“Why there?” Rayne asked.

 

“They were taking the globe to Hevi and going straight for Ignis.”  Halian said.  Rayne frowned and looked away.  She should be there with them, fighting beside them.  Instead she was stuck in the room by these jealous Druids. 

 

“This is not fare, I should be there, it is my duty, and if Marsa was alive I would be.” She said sadly.  It hurt her to say it but it was true, she knew they wouldn’t give Alex the time of day because to them he was still human.

 

“I know dear and Alex knows that too but he also knows you wouldn’t want him wasting time trying to get you out when they are obviously close to finishing Ignis.”  Halian said to her.

 

“I know.” Rayne said with a sigh.  “Does he know what will happen if I am found guilty.”

 

“I do not believe so, I do not think Rexil has told him and I have not.” Halian said.

 

“It is better he does not.”

 

“They can not take a Guardians Talents away; you were given them by Pixca, you are not just any Druid.” Halian said angrily.  “I hope Alex gets here in time and puts a stop to this.”

 

“Me too Mother.” Rayne said as they hugged but she knew there was nothing he could do.

 

 

 

 

 

“So who said there wouldn’t be that many?” Nick shouted as he sent out a Shadow spell.

 

“Avit, blame Avit.” Aj shouted jokingly as a Frost Blast blew out from under him and it trapped every army guard around him.  Blocks of ice trapped their feet and made them easy picking for any melee.  “Where’s the room to Tokia?” Aj asked quickly.

 

“This way!” Bussa shouted.  It had been a while since Aj had fought along side the Cornel of Kalica.  He insisted on coming with Nalia, and Aj didn’t really argue because it was extra knowledge on the Palace.

 

Everyone fought their way down the hall, Ignis’s guards coming out of rooms, stairwells, and hidden passages.  Aj conjured another Frost Blast spell and Kevin and Nalia came through cutting down all the trapped guards.

 

“In here.” Bussa said a little breathless.  The group quickly made their way into the room and jammed the door shut.  Nalia quickly walked over to the globe and turned it on.  The globe smoked and a glow started beaming from it.  Soon the room was lit up in a bright green colour.

 

“Step back and give them room” Nalia said stepping down from the pedestal as the guards on the outside pounded on the doors.  The waited for a moment and soon the room was filling with smoke and guards.

 

“Aye we be here.” Rossi said with a smile.  There was another pound on the door and it made Rossi laugh.  “Come on lads we got some party crashers.” Rossi shouted.  The group that had just crossed over unjammed the door and ran out into the hallway.  Ignis’s guards taken back by the mini melee attack stumbled to defend themselves.

 

“Here come some more.” Kevin said as more smoke filled the room.

 

“We need to get to Ignis.” Aj said looking around.  “Did anyone see him?”

 

“No” Nalia said shaking her head.

 

“Should we split up?” Nick asked.

 

“Might be best.” Bussa told them.

 

“Aye, ye be lookin for Ignis?” Rossi said as he stepped through the door.

 

“Yes” Nick said looking at him

 

“He be right there.” Rossi said as he pointed down the hall.  Everyone took off out of the room as another load of dwarfs come over.

 

Aj ran out into the hall, he saw Elvaans fighting along side Dwarfs, the hall littered with men fighting and men lying on the ground.  Aj looked through them and saw Ignis standing by the staircase. 

 

“Is he a ghost?” Bussa asked as he looked at the man’s transparent figure.

 

“How do we kill a ghost?” Brian asked.

 

Aj didn’t wait for an answer he didn’t have one, and he didn’t have time to think of one.  He started rushing through the people fighting, much to the protest of everyone behind him.  When he knew he had a clear shot he sent out at Ice Bolt right at Ignis.  Ignis stumbled forward a little a spun around.

 

“Mage” He said with a smile pleased to see Aj.

 

“Where is she?” Aj asked and Ignis looked at him puzzled. 

 

“Who?” Ignis asked.  “Did you loose your Druid?” Ignis said looking behind him and only seeing Nick and Nalia standing with the others.

 

“No, you know who I’m talking about.” Aj said bluffing.  “Where is she?”  The look on Ignis’s face confirmed to Aj to keep pushing it.  Just hopefully he didn’t ask for a name.

 

“How did you..” Ignis said puzzled.

 

“Wouldn’t you like to know.” Aj said with a smile. 

 

“You kill me and you will never find her.” Ignis snapped.

 

“Like you’d tell us if we kept you alive, and you being dead has so many perks.” Nick said as he walked up beside Aj.

 

“Dwarf.” Ignis said with a sarcastic nod.

 

“I say we end this now.” Nalia said as she joined Aj and Nick holding her swords at her side.

 

“Kill me I will be back.” Ignis said holding out his arms.

 

“But we remember now and we will make sure the others will as well.” Nalia said to him.

 

“No we end this cycle now.” Aj said as he took a step forwards.  “We will kill you, we will find her and we will stop this once and for all, you will not come back.”

 

“You will never find Pixca.” Ignis hissed, and Nalia couldn’t help but gasp.  Ignis saw the looks on their faces and he realized he had been tricked.  Aj went to speak but the sound of a sword running through armor and someone stepping out beside him stopped him.  It was Nalia and she pulled her sword out as Ignis stumbled back.  He grabbed one of his guards and the man screamed as Ignis sucked the life from him, like he had done to Nalia.

 

“You will need more than a sword Warrior, didn’t you learn the last time.” He said with a small laugh.

 

Nick shot out a Shadow Bolt as Aj sent out his Ice Bolt, they both slammed into Ignis and he fell back but quickly got up.  His arm flung out and a Fire Bolt came flying at the three and the dove out of the way just as it struck a bunch of Ignis’s guards, Elvaans, and Dwarves fighting.  Aj quickly looked around too make sure Nick and Nalia were ok.  With a nod from each of them, he got to his feet and saw Ignis running down the hall.

 

“Stay here and help fight!” He shouted back to Kevin and his friends.

 

“You three be careful!” Brian shouted to them.

 

“Let’s go.” Aj said to Nick and Nalia and then started running.  He dodged around everyone and he didn’t pay attention to who was winning the fight in the hall.  Aj turned the corner with Nick and Nalia not to far behind and saw Ignis running down the hall, the window at the end of the hall caught Aj’s eye and he quickly conjured a Tohil spell outside the Palace and it blew the window out sending Ignis crashing to the floor. 

 

With a Warrior’s yell Nalia took off running down the hall at a cheetahs speed as she charged in and attacked Ignis as he got up.  Aj was amazed to see Ignis blocking her swings with his arms.  He grabbed her by her leather chest piece and sent her back into the wall.

 

“Nali!” Nick shouted as he stepped forward.  Nick sent out another Shadow bolt but Ignis blocked it and returned it with a Shadow Bolt of his own.  Nick jumped back against the wall just in time.  Aj heard another yell and looked back at Ignis too see Nalia had recovered and was back to attacking the ghostly figure again.  Quickly Aj shot out a Fire Bolt and then a Frost Bolt. Ignis fell forward past Nalia.

 

“Look out!” Aj shouted to Nalia as Ignis reached for her but she was already on it, and kicked his face and he rolled back against the wall.  She raised her sword over her head, and he raised his hand but a shadow bolt smothered him and he flinched, not being able to get his spell off as Nalia’s sword ran through him.  He screamed in pain as Nalia quickly backed away, making sure he didn’t touch her.  Aj sent another Ice Bolt at him and when the spell hit him everyone was sent to the floor by a bright red light.  The screaming was ear piercing and Aj tried to cover his ears, waiting for them to pop from the high pitch.

 

The Palace began to shake around them, as thunder was heard from above them. Then just as fast as everything had appeared it was gone.  Aj slowly lifted his head and looked around, he saw Nick and he looked to his left and saw Nalia, they both appeared to be ok.

 

“Alex dude you ok?” Nick asked as Aj stood himself up.

 

“Yeah, ears are ringing though.” He said as he stuck a finger in his left ear and shook it.  “What the hell was that?” He asked.

 

“I think.” Nalia said as Aj looked at her.  “It was Ignis dying.” Aj looked from her to where Ignis was and there was nothing but a pile of dust.

 

“It’s over?” Nick said looking at Aj.

 

“It is over.” Nalia said with a smile.

 

“For now.” Aj said and they looked at him.  “There’s still Pixca.”

 

“I can not believe he has trapped her.” Nalia said in awe.

 

“Makes sense on why she just didn’t show up and fix everything.” Nick said as Aj began walking down the hall.  “Where you going dude?”

 

“Find Avit.” Aj said as he continued down the hall.

 

Aj turned the corner and stopped dead when he saw all the people standing around.  Many of Ingis’s men were on the ground holding their heads, many of them looked drunk and disoriented but Aj knew they weren’t.

 

“What’s going on?” Aj asked pointing to the guard.

 

“I do not know, they just stopped fighting, many of them falling to the ground blacking out.” Avit said as he walked up to him.  “Where is Ignis?”

 

“Dead.” Aj said too him.

 

“Praise Pixca!” Avit said with a cheer.  “It is over Ignis is dead!” He shouted as he turned to face everyone in the hall.  Many of the men and woman were stunned but then began to cheer.

 

“You guys did it?” Kevin said a little shocked.

 

“I’m insulted by your lack of confidence.” Aj said sarcastically.

 

“Where is he?” Avit asked.

 

“A pile of dust around the corner.” Aj said pointing down the hall.  Avit nodded and headed in that direction.

 

“So now what?” Howie asked as Nick and Nalia walked up.

 

“Now.” Aj said as he looked at his friends.  “You guys can go home.”

 

“Home?” Brian said as a smile cracked across his face.  “Like Home, home.”

 

“As in Earth, yes.” Aj said with a nod.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Aj sat at his desk going over the reports Avit had given him about what had happen at the Palace.  The people had not been told yet what had happened, they need to make sure Hevi and the land of Kalica had been fully taken back first.  He was passing time until the guys had everything together to go home.  They had been back for about a half hour, and going over these reports and thinking about the guys leaving was all he could do to keep his mind off of Rayne.  Her trial would be starting any minute now but he had to wait for the guys to leave before he could go.  When his door opened he looked up and saw Avit walking into the room, he was holding a bag in his hand.

 

“Here are the things you wanted Sir?” Avit said with a nod.  “Sorry it took longer than expected.”

 

“That’s ok.” Aj said as he took the bag from Avit.

 

“Are they ingredients you need to send your friends home?” Avit asked.

 

“Naw, that’s a simple spell, kind of like a wind spell really.” Aj said looking at the bag.  “This is for something else.” Aj said as he stood up.  “Do you know if my friends are ready?” He asked.

 

“Most of them appeared to be out in the hallway upstairs as I made my way here.” Avit said.

 

“Ok.” Aj said with a nod as he stood up.  “I need you to go to the Druid House now, let Rayne know I will be there soon, if you can.” Aj said to him.

 

“Of Course Sir.” Avit said.  “Please tell your friends they have my most gracious thanks and they will be Knights always here in Winnol.”

 

“I will Avit thank you.” Aj said with a light smile.  Avit smiled back and then left the room.  Aj closed his eyes and took a deep breath.  This was it, they were going home and it would be just him and Nick.  He felt the tears come to his eyes and he pushed them back.  He put the bag in his desk and then headed to the door.  He left the room and walked out from behind the stairs.  His friends were coming down as he walked out into the front hall.

 

“There he is.” Kevin said pointing to Aj.

 

“You guys ready?” He asked as he looked up at them.

 

‘Yep” Brian said with a nod.

 

“Are you sure you won’t stay we got lots of room.” Nick said as he stood on the steps, leaning against the railing.

 

“Are you sure you guys won’t come back with us?” Howie asked.

 

“Yeah really guys, you did it, you beat Ignis..” Brian said looking at them.

 

“Nope.” Nick said shaking his head.  “I like it here dude.”

 

“It’s not the Best Western.” Brian mumbled.

 

“Let’s not start.” Kevin said as he ran his hand through his hair. 

 

“Besides if I go, who’s going to send you home?” Aj asked as Brian tried to answer but couldn’t.

 

“So do we need to go somewhere?” Howie asked.

 

“Open area.” Aj said with a shrug.  “Tree falls will be good enough.”

 

Aj watched as his friends headed towards the hallway that lead to the Pool of water with the tall water fall inside the Castle.  He followed behind them as they walked down the hall.  When Nalia opened the door he heard the crashing sound of the falls and it got louder as he walked out to the large grass area.

 

“So do we need to do anything?” Brian asked looking at Aj.

 

“Just stay together.” Aj said with a shrug.

 

“So, this is it.” Kevin said looking at Nick and Aj.

 

“Been fun guys.” Nick said with a nod.

 

“Who would have thought we’d end it like this.” Howie said with a laugh and a smile.

 

“Keep an eye on Ma for me?” Aj asked as he hugged Kevin.

 

“I will man.” Kevin said as he choked back some tears. “And don’t worry about Rayne; you’ll get her out of it.” He said as he wiped his eyes.  Aj lightly smiled at him and Kevin turned to Nick.

 

“You’re a big pain in my ass.” Kevin said looking at him.

 

“You’re gonna miss me the most.” Nick said with a smile.  Kevin laughed as he pulled Nick into a hug.

 

“Man, who am I going to go shopping with now?” Aj asked as he looked at Howie.  Howie smiled as the two hugged.  “I’m really gonna miss you D.”

 

“Me too Alex.” Howie said as they pulled away.  “Just be happy.”

 

“I will.” Aj said as he patted Howie on the side of the arm.

 

“Prick” Aj said looking at Brian.

 

“Prick” Brian said back to him. 

 

“Take care of that beautiful wife and kid of yours.” Aj said as the two hugged.

 

“You know it.” Brian said as he wiped a tear away.

 

“Don’t go starting wars with him either.” Aj heard Howie say to Nick.  “Make sure they don’t go starting any wars.” Howie said as he looked to Nalia.

 

“I will.” Nalia said with a light smile and laugh.  “Thank you all for everything you have done, you will not be forgotten here.”

 

“Statue would be cool.” Kevin said as he raised an eyebrow.

 

“Don’t think they have enough marble to chisel out the eyebrows.” Nick said sarcastically.

 

“Just stay out of trouble.” Brian said as he looked at Nick.

 

“Always.” Nick said smiling.  The two hugged and for a moment remembered back to when it was just Frick and Frack, but things had changed, they had changed.

 

“Alright.” Aj said as he lightly clapped his hands together.  “Stand together and hope I don’t drop you in the middle of the freeway.” He said as he held his hands out.

 

“What!?” Howie, Kevin and Brian said quickly.

 

“Just kidding” Aj said as he started laughing.

 

“Nice one.” Nick said as he laughed as the others moaned and bitched at Aj’s joke.

 

“Ok seriously now, you guys ready?” Aj asked.  The three nodded and Aj took a deep breath and relaxed.  He closed his eyes and felt a gentle breeze blow pass him, he heard a crackling sound and a whoosh soon followed, he felt the serge of energy go through him and then silence around him.  When he opened his eyes again they were gone.  Both him and Nick stood there for a minute and took it in.  He looked beside him and saw Nick hugging Nalia and he found himself missing Rayne.  He let the two have their moment as he looked back to the spot where his friends stood.

 

“Well dude.” He heard Nick say after a moment and he looked over at him.  He was standing there with his arm around Nalia.  “Time to go get Rayne.” He said with a nod to the door.

 

“I’ll meet you guys there; I need to get something first.” Aj said as he took a deep breath and motioned for them to go.

Chapter 21 by VeeLynn

                                    The Guardian Crusade

                              Volume I

 

                                                            Chapter 21

 

Rayne stood in a long dark blue dress, the top was bustier style, sleeveless but her long curly hair covered her shoulders.  She stood tall and strong in front of her fellow Druids, Elder Rexil stood in front of her at a desk that sat High Council Larsung, Drania, and Emarla.  There were other druids sitting around the room, there were even some high standing citizens there as well.  The Elder was standing there staring at Nick and Nalia who had just interrupted everything.  It didn’t help the fact that Avit also came in a few minutes before them.  She wondered what was going on, why they were here and where was Alex.  It worried her because last she heard they were attacking Ignis, so why were the others back and he wasn’t.

 

“Rayne Queen of Sarila as I said before you have been charge with attacking a persons Life Aura, you have pleaded not guilty.”  Elder Rexil said.  “You say you did it to defend us, Pixcadia, to help Prince Nickolas, but I have proof otherwise.” Rexil said.

 

“What?” Rayne said shocked.

 

“Bullshit you weren’t even there lady!” Nick shouted and everyone looked at him shocked.  He looked around and realized he should just stay quiet.  Rayne lightly smiled as she turned back around to look at Elder Rexil.  The woman looked upset as she stared angrily at Nick.

 

She cleared her throat and spoke again.  “As I said, I have proof that she attacked his Aura and she did so because she believes her talents were given to her by Pixca herself.”

 

“They were, I am a Guardian” Rayne said to her as people mumbled.

 

“Pixca knew the order of things she would have never given a Human an Elvaan’s job.” Rexil said to her.

 

“Are you saying that my Father, my Mother, Rossi, and even Marsa were lying?” Rayne said in awe she would fight those people. “And what about Rayxes?”

 

“I believe Marsa was lied too.” Rexil said.  “It wouldn’t have been the first time, did he not send his son foolishly to another world because he was told too.” Rexil said as she slowly walked out behind the desk. “And on the Rayxes matter, can we really trust that memory?”

 

“And what about Nickolas, Rossi did the same exact thing.”  Rayne said in protest.

 

“Who’s to say he wasn’t lied too either.” Rexil said as she stopped in the middle of the floor.  “Humans are deceitful, they lie to get power, they kill to get power, and they will even betray the ones they love to get it.”

 

“I did no such thing.” Rayne said in protest.  “You are prejudice against me because I am human.”

 

“Silence, that is enough out of you.” Rexil said as she walked over to Rayne.

 

“I think that is enough out of you.” A voice said from the back and everyone turned around to see who it was. 

 

Everyone looked confused at the Elvaan that stood in the doorway.  His long green and yellow robe fell to the floor, the long sleeves hung over his slim fingers.  Rayne looked at him, she had never seen him before, she quickly looked at Rexil and by the expression on the Elders face she had never seen him either.  When Rayne heard someone walking she looked back to the doorway and saw the Elvaan walking down the aisle way.  His hair was long and dark brown, and two small braids hung down to his shoulders.  His long Elvaan ears were adorn with piercings. 

 

“Who are you, what business of this is yours?”  Rexil asked angrily.

 

“You don’t recognize me?” The Elvaan said and the way he spoke took Rayne’s breath away.  He walked up beside her, he didn’t look at her he just stood there staring at Rexil. 
”Maybe you should look at my Aura, instead of my face.” He said to her. 

 

Rexil looked at him, Rayne looked at him, anyone who could see his Aura looked at him and then gasped in shock.  Rexil shook her head a little as she took a couple of steps back.  People started talking and for those who didn’t know what was going on, started getting filled in.

 

“King Alexander?” Rexil said shocked.

 

“Say what now?” Nick said loudly as he stood up staring at the Elvaan.

 

“Maybe now you’ll listen to me Rexil.” He said as Rayne just stared at him.  Everything about him now was Elvaan, his hands, his ears, his face, and his nose.  But as she looked at him, really looked at him, she saw his eyes, his eyes hadn’t changed at all.  “You will dismiss all charges against her and you will step down as Elder.”

 

“What!?” Rexil said stunned.

 

“As King you might have more power over me, but as a Guardian you don’t, so, later.” Aj said giving her a little wave.  “Anyone else care to join her?” Aj asked as he looked back at the High Councilors.  They talked to each other quietly and then quickly looked at Rexil.

 

“It is our duty to obey her, your majesty, we apologize greatly.” Drania said as she bowed her head.

 

“The charges against Queen Rayne have been dismissed, she did what she did to save Pixcadia, and there were no Druid laws broken.” Larsung said as he stood up and ended the trial but no one moved everyone still to busy looking at Aj.

 

 

“How did you do this?” Rexil said angrily at him.

 

“I broke the protection spell.” Aj said too her.

 

“What?” Rayne gasp as she looked at him stunned.

 

“Excuse me Rexil?” Larsung said as the High Councilors walked up to Rexil, Aj, and herself.

 

“What do you want?” She snapped.

 

“We must ask you to leave the grounds.” Larsung said, and Rayne thought she heard some relief in his voice. “Please do not make a scene.”

 

“You can use all the magic’s you want Alexander, you were raised human, and you will always be human.”  Rexil said as two guards approached her.

 

“And you’ll always be a bitch.” Aj said with a sigh.  Rayne saw the anger on Rexil’s face that someone was speaking to her that way, let alone someone she seem to hate so much.  She mumbled to herself as the guards escorted her out of the building.  Rayne looked back after Rexil had left the room and looked at Aj.

 

“Alex?” She said still having trouble believing it was him.  He turned his head and looked at her, a small smile broke from his lips. 

 

“Are you ok, she didn’t hurt you or anything?” He asked.

 

“No” She said lightly shaking her head.

 

“Dude” Rayne heard Nick say and they both looked behind them.  Nick was standing there with Nalia, Avit and Halian.  “Dude!” Nick said loudly as he pointed at him.  Rayne could tell by Nick’s tone it was the only thing he could say.  A small whining sound came out of Nick’s lips as he pointed to Aj’s ears.

 

“I know” Aj said hoping Nick wouldn’t freak out too much.

 

“Kevin would have killed you.” Nick gasped out.

 

“I know” Aj said with a nod as he looked his friend in the eyes.

 

“Is that why you wanted them to go home before coming here?” Nalia asked him.

 

“Yep” Aj said.  “They didn’t need the shock.”

 

“Oh and I did.” Nick shouted a little excited but not in the good way.  “So, so ok change back.”

 

“I can’t.” Aj said looking at him.  “It’s kind of like a Tat.”  Nick moaned as he grabbed his head and turned around.

 

“Ok ok, I know what this is.” Nick said turning around.  “We were fighting, the three of us.” He said looking at Aj and Nalia. “and I hit my head.  That’s it.” Nick said sighing.  “I’m just gonna wake up now.”

 

“Dude.” Aj said with a sigh.

 

“Nick you are not in a dream.” Nalia said as she tried to get him to stop pacing.

 

“But look man it’s still me, see.” Aj said pulling up his sleeves and it relived his tattoo’s still there.

 

Nick whined as he saw them, almost cementing it into him that it really was Aj.  He looked at his friend and then looked him over.  Closing his eyes he stomped his feet and whined like a three year old as he plopped himself down in a chair.

 

“Why man?” Nick asked as he looked at him.

 

“I needed them to listen to me.” Aj told him.  “They wouldn’t because they were so hell bent on me being human, so I showed them who I really was.”

 

“You couldn’t of just held everyone hostage until they changed their minds?” Nick asked.

 

“Dude” Aj sighed.  “I know it’s going to take some getting use too.”

 

“Gee ya think?” Nick snapped.  Aj took a deep breath and decided to give Nick a few to take it in.  He looked around, the room now empty.

 

“How did you learn the spell to break it?” Halian asked.  Rayne didn’t look at him but she waited for the answer.  It was suddenly all sinking in what he had done.

 

“Marsa’s journal.” Aj said.  “He had written in there that he thought this might happen, not from the Druid Elders but from the people actually, and he said that he put it in there for me, incase I decided too.”

 

“Is that what the ingredients were for Sir?” Avit asked.

 

“Yeah” Aj said with a nod.

 

“You always did crazy shit dude, but this? Oh it takes the cake, the whole fucking bakery.”  Nick said as his anger made Rayne feel even worse.  “I need air.” He said standing up. “Lots of air.” Rayne looked up and he walked out the doors.

 

“I will go with him.” Nalia said and she hurried to catch up to him.

 

“Rayne?” Aj said and she looked at him.  “Are you mad at me too?”  She looked down not sure how to answer.

 

“No I am not mad.” She said quietly.  “It is just a lot to take in.”

 

“I just wanted to keep you from going to jail.” Aj said looking at her.

 

“You did more than that.” Halian said and Rayne looked at her quickly.

 

“I did?” Aj said confused.  Halian looked at Rayne waiting for her daughter to tell him.  “What did I do?” He asked as Rayne looked at him and realized he was looking at her.

 

“They would not have put me in jail.” Rayne told him.

 

“Oh.” Aj said with a stun look on his face. 

 

“They would have taken away my talent.” She said to him.

 

“Taken away?” He said a little confused.

 

“As in no magic, no spells, nothing.” Halian said to him.

 

“Are you serious?” Aj said.  “Why didn’t anyone tell me?”

 

“I asked them not too.” Rayne said and he looked at her.  “When I had found out Rexil did not tell you what would happen I asked Mother not to say anything.”

 

“And I told Avit.” Halian said.

 

“I did not want you to rush anymore than you already were.” Rayne said 

 

“Then I’m even more confident this was the right thing to do.” Aj said too her as he took her hands.  She lightly smiled at him and looked down at his hands.  It was strange his hands hand changed but his touch had not.  It made her curious and she slowly pulled his arms around her, and then slid her arms around him.  She laid her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes. Even the way she felt in his arms was the same.

 

“I am glad you are alright, when I did not see you come in with Nick and Nalia, I became worried that something had happen to you.” Rayne said his he pulled her closer to him.

 

“Do you know where we were?” He asked as he held her.

 

“Yes” She nodded.  “Mother told me.”

 

“Then I think I should tell you.” He said as he slowly pulled her away.  She looked at him confused as her hands rested on his sides.  “We did it, Ignis is dead.”  Rayne’s eyes went wide, almost as wide as her smile and she almost jumped back into his arms.

 

“He’s really gone?” She asked as she felt the tears fall from her eyes.

 

“Yeah.” Aj said still laughing at her excitement.  “I wish you could’ve been there but there’s still more we need to do.”

 

“There is?” Rayne asked as she pulled away from him.

 

“We found something in Darlawind and we figured out how to stop Ignis from coming back.” Aj told her.

 

“How?” She asked as he took her hand.

 

“Let’s go to my meeting room, I’ll show you.” Aj said as he began to walk them down the aisle and Halian and Avit followed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Kevin” Kevin heard someone say.  He moaned and rolled over.

 

“Nick turn off the damn game.” He mumbled.

 

“What?” the voice said. “Hun you gotta wake up.”

 

“Huh?” Kevin said looking up, he was still half asleep but he saw his wife walking around the room.

 

“Are you awake now?” She asked.  “I swear I could put a vacuum cleaner to your head and you wouldn’t wake up.”

 

“uh.” Kevin said looking around.  He was in their bedroom and his wife was quickly getting dressed.

 

“How’s your head?” She asked as she knelt down beside him.  He looked at her confused and put his hand to his head.

 

“Owe.” He said when he felt a sharp pain.  “What happened?”

 

“What?” Kristin asked.  “Maybe I should call the doctor.”

 

“No, no that’s ok, just..” Kevin said taking her hand and sitting up.  He flinched again as his head began to throb.  “Just remind me.”

 

“Kevin.” Kristin said with a worried look on her face.

 

“Just humor me, please.” He asked.

 

“The bus accident.” Kristin said.

 

“Accident?” Kevin asked.

 

“I think I should call the doctor.” Kristin said getting up.

 

“Wait, I..I think I remember.” Kevin said as it started coming back to him.  “We were on the bus, I was fighting with Nick and then.” Kevin tried to remember but he couldn’t.  “I can’t remember.”

 

“You’re bus driver swerved to miss an accident that had happen ahead of you, but you hit the gravel and the bus rolled.” Kristin said and Kevin saw the sadness on her face.  “I didn’t think you would make it.”  He frowned at her and pulled her into a hug.

 

“What about the other guys?” Kevin asked.

 

“Howie is fine now, he’s at home Leigh is taking care of him.” Kristin told him.  “Even though they aren’t together right now, she was one of the first ones to show up at the hospital.” She said as she sat down on the bed beside him.  “Brian is coming home tomorrow; they had to make sure he was ok to fly back to Atlanta.”  She stopped and he looked at the expression on her face.  When his thoughts went to his other two band mates, the memory hit him, like a flash, everything he had been through with them in that strange land came flooding back.  “Nick, Nick is still in the hospital, they are talking about transferring him to a Tampa hospital.”

 

“What’s wrong with him?” Kevin asked wondering how he could be in both places.

 

“He’s in a coma.” Kristin said.

 

“What?” Kevin said shocked.

 

“He doesn’t need life support but, the doctors say it’s like he’s in a deep sleep, they don’t know when or even if he’ll wake up?” Kristin told him.

 

“What about Alex?”  She looked away from him and got up from the bed.

 

“We should wait until your mom arrives, that’s why I’m getting ready; I have to go pick her up.” Kristin said as she started rushing around again.  “And I’m going to call the doctor too, cause your memory is spotty.” She said as she grabbed the phone.  Slowly Kevin got up, his body hurt along with his head.  He slowly walked over to his wife and gently took the phone from her and hung it up as a woman answered from the doctor’s office.

 

“Kris?” Kevin said looking at her.  “What happened to Alex?”

 

“He was the worse.” She said as she looked at him.  “He was on life support in a coma.”

 

“Was?” Kevin said as his breath left his body.

 

“There was no chance he was going to wake up.” Kristin said as she began to cry again.  “His mom took him off it two days ago.”  Kevin sat down on the bed, even though he knew Alex was ok, he was just somewhere else, he started to cry.

 

“Can I please call the doctor now so they can look at your head?” Kristin asked as she wiped her eyes.  He looked down at his wife and sighed.

 

“Yeah.” He said with a light nod.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Nick sat on the edge of the Castle wall.  It was an area that was routinely patrolled by the Winnol guards.  But at night it was pretty quiet, the guards cutting down their patrol time while most people were sleeping.  He had been out here for a while, Nalia was with him but he was able to talk her into going to eat.  Now he was alone and could let his mind take in what had happened.  He was watching the lights and listening to the sounds that were coming from the party at the town square.

 

At first he was pissed, he couldn’t believe Aj had done something like that, to just change completely like that.  But then Nalia told him about what would have happened if Rayne was found guilty and that got him thinking about how Alex felt about Rayne.  He sighed as he looked up at the stars.

 

“You do know dinner was like an hour ago?” A voice said from behind him and he turned seeing Aj walking up to him.  Well this new Aj.

 

“Yeah so.” Nick said looking back out over the city.

 

“Not like you too miss supper.” Aj said as he climbed up on the wall.

 

“Not like you to have big long ears.” Nick snapped at him.

 

“They’re not big, their slender.” Aj said looking at him.

 

“Dude.” Nick snapped again.

 

“Alright, ok I’m sorry.” Aj said putting up his hands.

 

“I mean ok, I get why you did it, I guess.” Nick said as Aj looked at the city below.  “I just.”

 

“Just what?” Aj asked.

 

“I just don’t get how you can accept it so easily.” Nick sighed.  “You’re all joking and shit.”

 

“I wasn’t at first but you were to busy freaking out.” Aj said to him and Nick was about to protest but Aj stopped him.  “With good reason.” He said quickly.  “But when I read that Marsa had put this in his journal, I knew I wanted to do it.”

 

“It just seems a little much for one girl, I mean I know you care a lot about her, might even love her, but this.” Nick said pointing to him. “This isn’t a dog, or a ring.” Aj rolled his eyes at the comment.

 

“It wasn’t just for her.” Aj admitted.  “She was a big reason, sealing the deal type of thing but Marsa was my dad, as weird as that still seems, and while I was here he was a good one.  Marsa put the spell in his journal cause he thought some of the people would turn on me because I looked Human, and I already had worries about that.”

 

“Really.” Nick said as he looked at him.

 

“Yes, back when Dyn had confronted us, calling me a fraud, the people were talking about it then, and now I had this Elder who apparently has more control than a King saying I wasn’t truly an Elvaan, it just seemed like the right thing to do, for Rayne, for Winnol and for Marsa.”

 

“Wow dude” Nick said a little stunned.  “I really thought you hadn’t put any thought into it.”

 

“Ok, I know I do a lot of shit spare of the moment, but give me some credit.”  Aj said with a light laugh.  “Now are you going to go eat or should I turn you into a dwarf?”

 

“No!” Nick said turning to him.   “Don’t you ever use that shit on me, the Dwarfs don’t care, and I’m good, I like being six feet.”

 

“Come on.” Aj said laughing as he climbed down from the wall.

 

“We’re we going?” Nick asked.

 

“Ignis is dead.” Aj said with a shrug.  “Time to party.” He nodded.  Nick cracked a laugh and got down from the wall.  “The ladies are meeting us at the town center.”

 

“You weren’t worried at all?” Nick asked as they walked down the stairs.

 

“Well I was worried I’d loose my tats, but all is well with the world.” He said with a smile.  “And I was worried about how much you and Rayne would freak out.”  Aj said to him.

 

“How is she taking it?” He asked.

 

“She’s quiet but she’s not shying away from me or anything, just not talking a lot.” Aj shrugged.

 

“Well I think I would be a little lost for words if some dude changed who he was for me.” Nick said as he walked out of the Barracks door into the city. Then he got a funny look on his face. “Scratch that.” He said shaking his head.

 

“Dude it’s still me.” Aj sighed.

 

“I know but still, you went from that to this for her.” Nick said pointing to his new look. “Kind of like taking a bullet for her.”

 

A bullet?” Aj said with a little laugh.

 

“I said kind of.” Nick sighed.

 

“Yeah I get what you’re saying.” Aj said with a light smile.

 

“So what do we do now?” Nick asked as they started to hear the people yelling and celebrating.

 

“Now we get this place back up and running, get the people back to Kalica and Sarila, and then we go and look for Pixca.” Aj said as they walked up to the square.  “Avit has the Kalica Palace on lock down, him, Bussa, and some very trust worthy men are searching the Palace for anything Ignis left behind.”

 

“About Pixca?” Nick asked as they stopped and looked at all the races dancing.

 

“Pixca, the other part of the tale, we need to start anew, make it so if we can’t find her and he comes back, the others know what to do.”  Aj said.

 

“Well we got a lot of time.” Nick said looking at him.

 

“That we do.” Aj said with a light smile.

 

“Alright!” They both said mocking Brian and they both started laughing

 

“Good to see someone is laughing.” Nalia said was her and Rayne walked up to them.

 

“Busted.” Aj said smirking at Nick.

 

“Shut up.” Nick replied rolling his eyes.

 

“Are you up for a dance?” Nalia asked him.

 

“I think I am.” He said smiling at her as he took her hand.  She smiled back at him as they walked towards the fountain to the others that were dancing around it.

 

“Did you want to go dance?” Aj asked her.

 

“No thank you.” Rayne said with a light smile.

 

“Are you ok?” Aj asked as she sat down at a table by them.  “It’s this isn’t it; you really are upset about it.” He said sitting down in front of her.

 

“No.” She said shaking her head as she looked at him. “I mean, it is a big change, are you sure you thought this through.”

 

“Yes, I did.” Aj said taking her hand.  “I’ve been thinking for a while how things would get done if I was Elvaan, if the people could see that I was, it’s been bugging me since Dyn showed up at the theatre.” Aj told her.  “I wasn’t even looking for it, but when I saw it in Marsa’s journal, I knew I had too, it would help me get you out of the mess with Rexil and it will help me in the future.”  Rayne lightly smiled at him as she looked down at their hands.  “I really am ok with it; honestly, I think I make a good looking Elvaan.” He said with a nod as he raised his eyebrow.  She looked up and lightly laughed. 

 

“I think you do too.” She said with a smile.  Rayne looked over at the people clapping and dancing with Nick and Nalia, the couple looked like they were having a good time, and she was glad to see Nick wasn’t upset anymore.

 

“Rayne?” She heard Aj say and she looked over at him.  He looked at her and then looked down at her hands, he brought them up to his lips and gently kissed the back of them, he then looked at her again.  “I love you.”  She looked at him a little shocked at first, but her heart fluttered and it made her lightly smile.

 

“I love you too Alex.” She said as she placed her hand on the side of his face.  They smiled at each other for a moment and then leaned in and kissed. 

 

This kiss was different, not because Aj had become Elvaan but because it was a new beginning for them.  The war was over but they still had much to do.  Where was Pixca? Could they save her? Where was the other piece of the tale? And what would happen to Sarila and Kalica now that they were back in the proper Royal hands.  This tale was over but a new one was just beginning.

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                                           

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10896