The Guardian Crusade II by VeeLynn
Summary: Now they are hero's but each action has a reaction and the ripples in the pool are far bigger when magic is involved.
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Group, Nick
Genres: Alternate Universe
Warnings: Death, Domestic Violence, Graphic Sexual Content, Graphic Violence, Sexual Assault/Rape, Sexual Content, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 33 Completed: Yes Word count: 86224 Read: 43870 Published: 04/14/12 Updated: 04/14/12

1. Chapter 1 by VeeLynn

2. Chapter 2 by VeeLynn

3. Chapter 3 by VeeLynn

4. Chapter 4 by VeeLynn

5. Chapter 5 by VeeLynn

6. Chapter 6 by VeeLynn

7. Chapter 7 by VeeLynn

8. Chapter 8 by VeeLynn

9. Chapter 9 by VeeLynn

10. Chapter 10 by VeeLynn

11. Chapter 11 by VeeLynn

12. Chapter 12 by VeeLynn

13. Chapter 13 by VeeLynn

14. Chapter 14 by VeeLynn

15. Chapter 15 by VeeLynn

16. Chapter 16 by VeeLynn

17. Chapter 17 by VeeLynn

18. Chapter 18 by VeeLynn

19. Chapter 19 by VeeLynn

20. Chapter 20 by VeeLynn

21. Chapter 21 by VeeLynn

22. Chapter 22 by VeeLynn

23. Chapter 23 by VeeLynn

24. Chapter 24 by VeeLynn

25. Chapter 25 by VeeLynn

26. Chapter 26 by VeeLynn

27. Chapter 27 by VeeLynn

28. Chapter 28 by VeeLynn

29. Chapter 29 by VeeLynn

30. Chapter 30 by VeeLynn

31. Chapter 31 by VeeLynn

32. Chapter 32 by VeeLynn

33. Chapter 33 by VeeLynn

Chapter 1 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                           Volume II

                                                 

 

        Chapter 1

 

Hevi, Kalica, Hevi Palace.

 

“Nali!” Nick shouted as he stepped forward.  Nick sent out another Shadow bolt but Ignis blocked it and returned it with a Shadow Bolt of his own.  Nick jumped back against the wall just in time.  Aj heard another yell and looked back at Ignis too see Nalia had recovered and was back to attacking the ghostly figure again.  Quickly Aj shot out a Fire Bolt and then a Frost Bolt. Ignis fell forward past Nalia.

 

“Look out!” Aj shouted to Nalia as Ignis reached for her but she was already on it, and kicked his face and he rolled back against the wall.  She raised her sword over her head, and he raised his hand but a shadow bolt smothered him and he flinched, not being able to get his spell off as Nalia’s sword ran through him.  He screamed in pain as Nalia quickly backed away, making sure he didn’t touch her.  Aj sent another Ice Bolt at him and when the spell hit him everyone was sent to the floor by a bright red light.  The screaming was ear piercing and Aj tried to cover his ears, waiting for them to pop from the high pitch.

 

The Palace began to shake around them, as thunder was heard from above them. Then just as fast as everything had appeared it was gone.

 

 

 

 

 

…..At that moment beneath Pixcadia…..

 

 

            The dark solid rocks began to rumble and the demon that stood leaning against the wall slowly looked up.  Dust began to fall around him and he flared his nostril to blow the dust away.  Pebbles fell, creeks echoed through out the cave.

 

            “So” The demon said as he looked up.  “It has begun.”

 

            “It’s all over, it’s done, we’re done, Vel’era get out, get out!” Yelled a smaller demon as he ran around the corner.

 

“Calm down Twivil.” Vel’era sighed.

 

“But the walls are caving in!” The small demon screeched.

 

“They are not you fool, it is a sign.” Vel’era snapped at him.

 

“A sign?” Twivil said as he cocked his head.  “Oh, oh no, they got to Ignis they did, so much for his plan.”

 

“His plan is still working they have no idea where she is and they still have to get through us.”  Vel’era said.

 

“Melt they’re faces off I will!” Twivil shouted.

 

“Even the pretty ones?” Vel’era asked with a laugh.

 

“Especially the pretty ones.” Twivil giggled.

 

“You speak with to much confidence, do you not feel them?” said a woman’s voice.

 

“I feel what I have felt time and time again woman.” Vel’era said as he turned his head a little.  He looked at the dark cove in the cave wall.  “And yet here you sit.”

 

“Some god, oh no, not a god, not a god.” Twivil said shaking his head.

 

“My Guardians, these Guardians will come for me Vel’era.” The woman spoke proudly.

 

“Then my Axe gladly awaits them.” Vel’era said as he pulled a large axe from behind him.  He turned it a looked at it, the razor sharp edges curving in all kinds of directions.

 

“And Twivil, Twivil waits too.” The small demon said as he jumped around.  Vel’era looked down at his little friend and lightly laughed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

One Year Later…

 

 

 

            Aj stood in front of the long mirror.  His long dark brown hair hung down past his shoulders, two small braids hung down from behind his ears, which were still adorned with piercings. He had purchased new rings for his now slender fingers and he double checked the Elvaan jewelry that hung perfectly from his wrists and neck.  Aj had to admit he was diggin the Elvaan look and he liked the fact he was a little taller, his Elvaan height coming to him slowly over the year.  He was almost as tall as Nick now and his friend wasn’t happy about it.  As he found out when he arrived here with Rayne, it had been a while since they had seen each other.  Nick was busy helping Nalia rebuild Kalica, since it was the place that took the most damage from Ignis; it took a while to rebuild Hevi and Pomic. 

 

            That’s why Rayne and him where here in Pomic, it was the opening of the City and there was going to a ceremony and a party, as King of Winnol it was his duty to be there.  Things had been some what peaceful in the lands since Ignis died.  There have been people still against him being King and now that the attention is off of Ignis, they’re voices are being heard more.  How easy some forget.

 

            “Hey Gorgeous.” A voice said from behind him and it startled him a little, he didn’t hear anyone come in.  He turned around and saw Rayne standing behind him.

 

            “Well hello beautiful.” He said with a smile.  “Where did you run off too?” he asked.  They had arrived pretty late and when he woke up she was already up.

 

“I was just helping Nalia with some provisions with the ceremony.” She said as he pulled her into his arms.

 

Things between him and Rayne were good.  Granted they hadn’t really spent a lot of time with each other over the past couple of months.  She has been busy helping the Druid Council rebuild after the little trial.  One thing that changed was control, the Elder still had control of the Council but they needed the backing of the King or Queen of Winnol and if there was one at the time the Druid Guardian, whether they be Elvaan or Human.

 

“Are you finished getting ready?” Rayne asked as she pulled away.

 

“Yeah.” He nodded as he looked at her.  She was just as beautiful as the first day he saw her.  Her curly brown hair was up in a bun, a couple of strands hung down her neck, her crown sat around her forehead and tucked into her hair. 

 

“I have something to show you.” She said with a smile as she took his hands.

 

“Really?” Aj said with a bright smile.

 

“Alex” Rayne sighed with a smile.

 

“You like it.” Aj said as he leaned in and gently kissed her.  She lightly laughed as their lips pressed together.  They both lightly laughed as they gently kissed, then their kisses became more serious, more passionate.

 

“Damn boi, do you ever let her breath?” Nick said as he walked in and the couple pulled apart startled.

 

“Do you ever knock?” Rayne asked.

 

“No” Nick said looking at her like she should have known.  “Anyway” He said looking to AJ. “Are you coming?”

 

“Where?” He asked

 

“I thought you were going to tell him.” Nick said looking at Rayne.

 

“I was until you came barging in.” Rayne huffed.

 

“That’s what you call it?” Nick said raising his eyebrows.

 

“I am getting annoyed with you Nickolas, I suggest you keep quiet or I will ask my tree friends to help you.” She said as she glared at him.

 

“Alright into your corners.” AJ said with a light laugh.  “What is it that you wanted to show me?” AJ asked Rayne.

 

He took Rayne’s hand and they walked out of the room, with Nick following behind them.  They walked down the short hallway into a large foray.  AJ saw Nalia wave them over and they headed towards her.  Nick walked up and kissed her, almost how AJ was kissing Rayne when he barged in.  He looked over at Rayne who was looking at him; he just smiled with a light laugh and shook his head.

 

“So where are we going?” AJ asked as Nick and Nalia pulled away and headed out of the Palace.

 

“To the new park.” Nalia said looking back at them.

 

“Sounds like fun.” AJ said a little sarcastically.

 

They walked through the city, most of the houses and buildings were complete, and the ones that weren’t, there were men working on them continuously.  Many of the trees and flowers that lined the streets were new, the old ones dead or burnt from the war and lack of care when Ignis was here.

 

“This place is really looking good.” AJ said as he looked up at the large Warlock School.

 

“Yep.” Nick said with a nod.  “And I’m glad because I need a vacation.”

 

“You think you get a vacation?”  Nalia asked.

 

AJ looked over at Rayne as Nick and Nalia playfully bickered back and forth.  She had a puzzling look on her face and he wondered what she was thinking.

 

“Everything alright?” He asked her as he put his hand against her waist.

 

“Yes, I was just thinking.” She said with a light smile.

 

“About?”

 

“Pixca.” Rayne sighed.  “It’s been almost a year and we still have not found her.”

 

“I know its frustrating sweetheart but now that most of Pixcadia has moved on, we’ll have more time.”  He said as he gently pulled her closer to him as they walked down the street.  “We beat Ignis and we’ll find her.”  Rayne smiled at him and he wondered if he had actually convinced her, he doubted it.

 

            “Ok we’re here.” Nick said as AJ looked up and they walked under a large gate.  AJ looked around and saw a forest of trees and a large garden of flowers lining the cobble stone walk way.  “This is very cool, I had no idea the Dwarves were doing this.” Nick said as he walked excitedly down the path.

 

“The Park? The Elvaans did the park for you thank you very much!” AJ said as he gently pushed Nick.

 

“Not the Park.” Nick said rolling his eyes.  “That” He said as he pointed to the large statue in front of him.

 

AJ looked up at what Nick was pointing too, his jaw dropped a little.  There in front of him was a large marble stone statue of Kevin, Howie and Brian.  Kevin was in mid shield bash as Howie stood over top of him, bow in hand aiming it out towards the park, and Brian, he stood on the other side of Howie, his hands outward like he was trapped in a box, but AJ knew it was a Healing Spell he was casting.

 

“Isn’t it awesome!” Nick said smiling. 

 

“It’s..” AJ didn’t know what to say, it was the first time he had seen his old friends faces since they were fighting Ignis.

 

“Look at the plaque.” Nick said pointing to the gold square plaque that sat on the top of the statue base.

 

“The Knights of Pixcadia.” AJ read.  “They protected us like we were their home and we shall honor them as all Warriors were before. Kevin the Paladin he was strong and true, Howie the Ranger he was as quick as the wind blew, and Brian the Priest he saved our Guardian when she was struck down.  The Knights of Pixcadia with us you are forever bound.”

 

“Tight, isn’t it?” Nick said when AJ finished reading.

 

“It’s amazing.” AJ said looking back up at it.

 

“I like the way Kevin is, he’s all like eat shield baby!” Nick said with a southern draw.  AJ started laughing as Nick walked around the back of the statue.  He looked at Kevin and his smile slowly faded. 

 

“You miss them.” Rayne said from beside him.

 

“Yeah” AJ nodded.  He then turned his head and looked at her.  “But I’d miss you more.”  She lightly smiled as she slipped into his arms.

 

 

 

                                                           

Chapter 2 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                          Volume II

 

                                                       Chapter 2

 

AJ sat in his chair as he looked down at his long dark green robe and picked something off the silver trimming.  He looked up when Elder Drania, the new Elder, announced Queen Evia to the front of the stage.  He clapped with everyone else as she walked proudly to the front.  Looking to his left he saw Rayne sitting, watching Evia as she address the crowd.  Her mom Halian was sitting beside her on the other side.  On his right was Nick and beside him was Nalia.  They were all sitting on a stage in front of the citizens of Pomic and the citizens of Pixcadia as people had come from all around to celebrate.

 

“I want to thank everyone for joining the people of Kalica in celebrating this wondrous occasion.” She spoke so everyone could hear.  “Tonight we celebrate our freedom; we celebrate the return of this land to its people.”  Everyone cheered and clapped and Evia gave them a moment to do so.  “Now that this chapter of our new beginning is over, we have another chapter starting.  We must be strong, we must help restore the rest of Pixcadia, because as we move on to another chapter so do our Guardians.”  AJ looked around at the crowd; they started to whisper to each other.

 

“We now know our beloved Pixca is missing, taken from us by Ignis, and our Guardians are the ones who can find her.”  Evia told the crowd.  “We will take care of Pixcadia, so they can rid this land of the evil that corrupts it once and for all.”

 

The crowd again broke out into cheers as the people clapped for the Guardians on the stage.  AJ looked over at Nick who was smiling as he looked at the crowd, he looked beside him at Rayne and she was sitting with her hands folded on her lap, her eyes gazing at the platform floor they were on. 

 

“Rayne?”  AJ whispered to her as he gazed at the crowd to see if anyone was looking at her too. When she didn’t say anything he put his hand on her back. “Rayne sweetheart are you ok?”

 

“I just feel a little light headed.” She whispered back.  “I am fine.”  He looked at her not sure if he believed her but not wanting to interrupt the ceremony he sat back in his chair and took her hand, she lightly smiled at him and looked back to the crowd.

 

“So now let us all celebrate this wondrous day, the day all of Pixcadia can move forward in a new chapter” Evia said and the crowd cheered, whistled, and clapped as the celebration began.  As AJ clapped with everyone else he quickly looked over to Rayne, she was clapping but her eyes weren’t focused and she blinked and shook her head lightly.  Everyone on the stage stood up as people began dancing and celebrating in the square and AJ quickly turned to Rayne.

 

“I want a Priest to look at you.” AJ said as he gently took her by the arm as she stood up.

 

“Really Alex I’m..” He watched as her eyes rolled back and she started to fall.  Quickly he reached down and caught her.

 

“What is going on?” Halian asked shocked as he picked her up and cradled her.

 

“She said she felt light headed during the speeches, when she stood up she passed out.” AJ said as he walked down the side steps of the platform. 

 

“Take her to the Palace. It is closer than the infirmary.” Evia said as Avit came rushing over.  “I will go get a Priest.”

 

“I will go with you.” Halian said to her as they two woman left the group.

 

Everyone made their way to the Palace trying not to bring to much attention to Rayne lying unconscious in AJ’s arms.  He made his way up the stairs and down to the room they were staying in. As he walked down the hall Rayne began to wake up.

 

“Alex?” She said confused as she lifted her head.

 

“Just relax Rayne.” AJ said as he looked down at her.  Nalia opened the door and let AJ walk in with Rayne.  He carried her over to their bed and Nalia pulled the blankets back as he laid her down.

 

“What happened?” She asked as he pulled the covers over her. 

 

“You passed out.” AJ said to her as he helped her get comfortable.  “You’re Mom and Evia went to get a Priest.” AJ told her.

 

“I do not need a Priest I am fine Alex.  It is probably the fact I have not had that much sleep in the past couple of days.”  She told him but he lightly shook his head.

 

“I still want a Priest to check you out.” He said as he gently kissed the back of her hand.  “You don’t look that well.” AJ said as he brushed his fingers down her cheek.  When Evia and Halian walked in with the Priest, AJ stood up and stepped out of the way.  As the Priest asked Rayne some questions about what happened before she passed out, AJ walked out into the hallway.

 

“You ok man?” Nick asked as AJ turned around.

 

“Yeah.” He nodded.  “Just letting the Priest do his thing.”

 

“I’m sure she’s just tired.” Nick said as they both sat down on the window ledge.

 

“I know but the way this place is I can’t help but think it’s something else.” He sighed.

 

“Yeah” Nick nodded.  “I wonder what the guys are doing.”

 

“Bet ya Howie’s talking on his cell phone.” AJ nodded.  Nick lightly laughed with a nod.

 

“You think Kevin started his record label?” Nick asked.

 

“Maybe, I’m sure they didn’t go forward with the group.” AJ shrugged.  “Maybe he’s on Broadway.”

 

“Do you think we’re dead?” Nick asked.

 

“Dunno.” AJ shrugged. 

 

“Do you think the guys remember?” Nick asked again.

 

“Dunno.” AJ sighed.  “You mean us?” he then asked.

 

“Us, this place, what happened?” Nick said as he looked at him.

 

“Dunno man.” AJ said.  “You don’t regret staying do you?”

 

“No” Nick said quickly. “You?”

 

“No, hell no.” AJ shook his head.  “I mean I miss it, miss Ma, but I feel like I’m suppose to be here, I didn’t feel that back on Earth.”  Just then AJ and Nick looked up as Evia, Nalia, Halian and the Priest walked out of the room.

 

“Is she ok?” AJ asked.

 

“Yes she is.” The Priest nodded.  “But she needs some rest and I am not meaning a few hours of sleep.  She has exhausted herself with working on the Council and helping Princess Nalia with Kalica.”

 

“Thank you.” AJ said with a light bow to the Priest.  He then looked at everyone else.  “Why don’t you guys go to the party, I’ll stay here with Rayne.”

 

“Are you sure?” Halian asked.

 

“Yeah, if I need anything I’ll send Avit.” He told her.

 

“Alright.” Rayne’s mom said with a light smile at him.  She leaned in and hugged him and then walked over to Evia.

 

“Don’t get stupid, you’re a Prince remember, people don’t need to see your gitches.” AJ said to Nick.

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

“I dunno ask Rossi and the people of Tokia.” AJ said as him and Nalia started laughing.

 

“Hey that Dwarf Ale is strong; no one told me it was that strong till after I had 3 mugs of it.” Nick whined.

 

“I’ll keep an eye on him.” Nalia said still laughing as she took Nick by the arm.

 

“You were just as drunk as I was.” Nick said to her as they began walking away.

 

“I also did not take my clothes off.” Nalia said to him.

 

“Well not in front of them.” Nick said as Nalia smacked his arm.  AJ shook his head and laughed as he walked into his room.  As he closed the door he looked over at the bed and saw Rayne sitting up against the headboard, a pillow tucked behind her back.

 

“Hey” He said with a light smile as she looked at him.  “How are you feeling?”

 

“Better” She said as he crawled up the bed beside her.

 

“So you have been feeling sick.” He frowned as he slid his fingers between hers.

 

“Not sick, just tired.” She said as he looked up at her.  “I honestly did not think I was that tired.” She told him as he laid his head on her lap and she gently brushed her fingers through his hair.  “I hope you did not worry too much.”

 

“Well I’m better now that you are.” He said as he looked up at her, she lightly smiled at him and he smiled back.  Then she slowly leaned down and softly kissed him.  Just like before the kiss started out small but grew to something bigger, something stronger and AJ slowly sat up turning himself to face her, as she slid down the bed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Nick sat at a round table, bits of food left on the plates around him, glasses half full with Ale and Wine.  He bit down on a carrot well it was called simol but it looked and tasted like a carrot to Nick.  When he felt someone approach him, he looked up and saw Elder Drania walk up to him.

 

“Hello Prince Nickolas.” She said with a bow.

 

“Hi” Nick said as he stood up and bowed.

 

“I am sorry to trouble you, I was just wondering where Queen Rayne was?” She asked.

 

“Oh, uh, King Alexander took her too their room, she was pretty tired.” Nick said.

 

“I had heard she fainted, is that true?” She asked as they both say down.

 

“Yeah, but she’s ok now, like I said just tired.” Nick replied.

 

“Perhaps I should go see if there is anything I can do.” Drania said as she stood back up.

 

“I doubt it; the Priest said she just needed rest.” Nick told her.

 

“Well then I guess I will see her when we leave for Winnol tomorrow.” She said with a light smile.  “Thank you for your time Prince Nickolas.”

 

“It’s cool.” Nick said with a shrug.  She lightly smiled as most people did when they didn’t really understand what he meant.  They both bowed and then Elder Drania walked away.

 

“Was that Elder Drania?” Nalia asked as she walked up to the table.

 

“Yeah, she was wondering where Rayne was.” Nick said as Nalia sat down beside him. “So” He aid as he looked at her.  “Everyone seems to be going home tomorrow.”

 

“Yes.” She said with a nod.  “It will be nice to see this place get back to normal.”

 

“How about we take a vacation?” Nick asked.

 

“You and your vacations.” Nalia said with a smile.  “And where would we go?”

 

“I dunno, what about the cottage?” Nick asked.

 

“Whisper Falls?” Nalia asked.

 

“Yeah” Nick said with a smile.  “Rayne needs a vacation too right? Besides we haven’t been there since all that crap with Ignis, maybe we’ll find something new while we’re there.”

 

“Sounds like a wonderful idea.” She said smiling.

 

“But until then.” Nick said as he stood up and reached his hand out for her.  “We dance.” He smiled.  She took his hand with a smile and he walked her over to where everyone else was dancing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 3 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                         Volume II

 

                                                      Chapter 3

 

Nick stood there staring at Nalia, her face in pain and all he could do was watch but as he did he felt a feeling come over him.  At first he thought it was something Ignis was feeling but as he watched Nalia drop to her knees, the sensation got stronger, and he realized it wasn’t Ignis it was him.  He was feeling the power flowing through him and it started to feel good.  As he pulled his hand off her shoulder, his eyes shot open and he quickly sat up.

 

Gasping for air he quickly looked around his room in Kalica; he then looked over and saw Nalia asleep beside him.  Closing his eyes he took a deep breath, calming himself.  He concentrated on his breathing focusing his mind as he breathed in and out.  It was something the Warlocks at the Warlock Conclave taught him. 

 

After Nick was free from Ignis he realized the things he had done, the memories of the things he had done while being controlled by him.  It was the same as Rayne’s mom, or so he thought.  Then he started having flashbacks and dreams about things he wasn’t there for, things that only Ignis would know.  Like the conversation Ignis had with Rem over how the Guardians were connected.  How Aj and Rayne were connected and how him and Nalia were connected, how he would need her because of the darkness.  It would bring back the memory of him and Ignis on the ship, what the Evil had said to him and how he felt draining Dyn, even before he was ‘taken over by evil’.

 

“They will not fight in a War, they will watch and enjoy it, they live alone because they are unlovable and soon Nickolas that will be you.” He heard Ignis’s voice say in his head.

 

He asked Nalia a couple of days later what he had meant.  That’s when Nalia told him Warlocks have a hard time staying balanced.  They deal with death and dark magics on a daily bases.  They didn’t say anything to him because they did not want to scare him.  That’s when she took him to the Warlock Conclave; since he wasn’t raised here he didn’t go to the school, so he didn’t learn the basic meditations that they taught.  They told him it’s not always enough; you have to watch yourself and never push yourself, for if he falls too far he won’t come back.  He’ll stay in the dark forever, alone.

 

Nick carefully climbed out of bed and closed the curtain.  Grabbing a robe from his stand up dresser he slipped it on and quietly stepped out of the room.  He hadn’t told Nalia about the dreams that kept him up at night, how he would stare at her remembering what it felt like when Ignis drained her, remembering what it felt like whenever Ignis did anything, and the fact he felt his body craving more.  He didn’t want to worry her, hoping the new things he was learning about at the Conclave would help him, but he had been at it for almost a year and it was getting harder to focus on his meditation.

 

As he made his way down the empty streets everyone in the city in their beds now, enjoying the peace of their new home.  Nick scratched the back of his neck as he sighed.  If all that wasn’t enough he had memories of Pixca but she wasn’t free, she was in a cave, maybe underground he thought.  He hasn’t told anyone cause what would he say?  He didn’t know where it was just what it looked like and the fact there were two demons and an army of demons protecting it.  He didn’t know if they had names or how they were related to Ignis but one thing he was sure of, the woman, the Elvaan looking woman he saw was Pixca.

 

Nick looked up as his thoughts broke and he saw the statue of his friends.  He frowned a little, he missed them, especially now.  Kevin would tell him to talk to the Warlocks at the Conclave, and they told him if anything happened that he wasn’t sure about to go there.  Nalia was always asking him how he was doing, making sure he had gone and done his daily meditation.  He could tell she worried about him; I guess when you live here and have seen Warlocks fall to the darkness you would worry.

 

Right now there were more important things to worry about, rebuilding the cities, rebuilding the land, rebuilding people’s faith in each other, and finding Pixca, finding more about them and the tale. 

 

When he heard a noise off in the trees he looked up, he saw the leaves on a bush shake a little and he became a little defensive.  Slowly he stood up not taking his eyes off the area.  His heart raced when something jumped out and he threw out his arm and sent a shadow flame right at it.  The bolt hit its target and it fell to the ground with a quick cry of pain. 

 

“Crap.” Nick sighed as he saw the deer kicking on the ground.  He looked around and saw no one.  Slowly he made his way over and carefully knelt down.  With caution Nick grabbed the antlers and held the head still.  He wondered if he should get help, maybe a Priest could heal it but as he looked at the deer, checking it over, he felt the darkness, the death that was calling to the animal, calling to him. 

 

“It’s dying anyways.” He thought to himself.  Quickly he looked around and then looked back to the deer.  Sliding his hand over it he released the drain spell and watched the black and dark purple orbs creep into the animals’ body.  They flowed through the deer’s body and wrapped themselves around his hand that held onto the antler.  As the last breath of life was taken from the deer and given to Nick he let go and fell back a little. 

 

He breathed heavily as he stared at the dead animal lying in front of him.  He closed his eyes and let the death, the darkness rush through his veins.  As his breathing returned to normal he opened his eyes and lightly smiled.  That was so much easier than that meditation.  Standing up he stretched a little and pursed his lips as he thought about what to do with the deer.  Looking around the only place sheltered enough, were the bushes the thing jumped out of just moments ago.  He grabbed the animal by the antlers and dragged it into the bush.  Carefully he walked back out into the park and made his way out of the area, heading back to the castle, back to his room, and back to bed.  The jitters and urges gone for now, he carefully crawled under the covers and looked over at Nalia as he laid his head on the pillow.

 

“It was dying anyways.” He thought again as he started to feel a little guilty.  Closing his eyes he pushed the guilt feelings away and took a deep breath.  A light mumbling noise beside him brought him back from the edge of sleep and as he opened his eyes he felt a hand slid across him.  Nalia still fast asleep pulled herself against him, resting her head against the side of his neck.  He wrapped his left arm around her as he in hailed the scent of her hair.  With his free hand he slid his fingers through her hair and let them drift down her neck.  His eyes started to get heavy and he fell asleep before the guilt seeped back in.

 

When Nick woke the next morning Nalia was gone and he figured she went to see Rayne before breakfast.  The memories of the night before didn’t come back until he was relaxed in the stone tub in his bathroom.  He felt bad, he knew he should have gone to the Conclave, he should have meditated.  He climbed out of the tub and wrapped the long cloth towel around his waist; grabbing a smaller towel he dried his hair as he walked out of the bathroom. 

 

“Good Morning.” Nalia said with a smile.  “Did you sleep well?” she asked.

 

“Yeah” Nick replied with a nod as she walked over to him.

 

“Good.” She said as she quickly kissed him.

 

“How’s Rayne?” He asked as he grabbed a robe from the wardrobe.

 

“Better this morning.  Her and Alex have already left and are in Winnol.” She told him.

 

“They have?” He said a little shocked.

 

“Mmhmm” Nalia nodded.  “I asked Alex if he wanted to come to the cottage with us but he said he wanted to stay in Winnol, just in case.”

 

“Oh in case something else happens?” Nick asked.

 

“Yes, and with the Springs right there, I can not blame him.” Nalia spoke as she slipped her arms around him.  “So it looks like it will be just you and I”

 

“I ain’t complaining.” He said with a smile as he leaned down a little and kissed her.

 

“And neither am I.” She smiled.

 

“I know, one of the things I love about you.” He said with a light laugh as he walked over to the mirror.  “So when are we leaving?” He asked as he looked at her through the mirror.

 

“You have an appointment with Master Warlock Prewdis after Breakfast.” She reminded him.

 

“Ugh” Nick moaned as he stood up and looked one last time in the mirror.

 

“Pardon?” Nalia said not sure what she heard.

 

“Nothing, my stomach saying it’s hungry.” He lied.

 

“Well then we better hurry.” She said rolling her eyes a little as they walked over to the door.  “Brian was right; it really does have a mind of its own.”

 

“When did he say that?” Nick asked with a squeal.

 

“Not telling.” She said with a smile as he closed the door behind them.

 

“He’s on another planet and still getting his shots in.” Nick sighed as Nalia started laughing.

 

“Good Morning.” Evia said as she joined the two in the front hallway.

 

“Morning” Nalia said with a smile as she hugged her mother.  It made Nick smile when he saw the two of them together back in their home, and he was a part of the reason why.

 

“Morning” Nick said with a smile as Evia reached up and hugged him too.

 

“Did Halian go back with them?” Nalia asked her mother as they walked down to the dinner room.

 

“Yes” Evia nodded.  “She was going to help Rayne settle in and then going to Drisel.”

 

“Have they named her Guardian yet?” Nalia asked.

 

“No” Evia said with a sigh.  “She still has not decided.”

 

“Hasn’t, or doesn’t want to.” Nick said as a servant opened the door for them.

 

“I would say does not want to.” Evia said with a light smile.

 

“Can you blame her though? She knew Rem all her life and look what happened.” Nick replied as they sat down at the table.

 

“She still needs someone to protect her.” Nalia said to him.

 

“She’s got Alex.” Nick said with a shrug.

 

“Alexander can not be there all the time and what if she wanted to go somewhere, someone needs to watch over the Palace.”  Evia said as another servant set down a plate of food in front of Nick.  “She is Queen, she needs her Guardian, just as Alex needs Avit, Rossi needs Chief Barco and I need Bussa.”

 

“I’m sure Alex will do something” Nick said as he looked down at the eggs and ham strips.

 

“Well hopefully soon, you four need to start the search for Pixca and she will need someone then.”  Evia said with a sigh as she began to eat.

 

 

Chapter 4 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                         Volume II

 

                                                     Chapter 4

 

Nick pulled on the thick leather strap as he tied the gate to the cottage’s Gryphon pen.  When the gate was secure he looked up and saw Nalia coming out the front door.  The place had been fixed up, new furniture added; the Gryphon pen was added too.  Nalia said there was one but it collapsed from neglect over the years.

 

“The place looks wonderful.” Nalia said as she joined him.

 

“Never really saw the downstairs.” Nick said with a shrug.  He saw Nalia frown and he lightly nudged her.  “Just kidding.”

 

“I know” She said but she was still frowning.

 

“Hey” Nick said as he stopped dead in his tracks.  Nalia turned around and looked at him confused.  “Did the guys ever tell you what a whoopsy daisy was?”

 

“A what?” She asked with a soft laugh.

 

“A whoopsy daisy.” Nick said with a smile.

 

“No” Nalia said shaking her head.  “What is this whoopsy daisy?”  He smiled at her and then scooped her up in his arms.  She laughed as she wrapped her arms around his neck.  “So now what?” She asked.  Nick started walking down to the hill and Nalia looked over her shoulder, the only thing she saw was the lake.  She looked back to Nick who was smiling at her.  “Nick what is a whoopsy daisy?” She asked as he started walking into the water.  He didn’t say anything but just giggled.  “Nickolas no.” She said shaking her head.

 

“Oh yes.” He nodded and as she shouted his name one last time, he tossed her gently in the air and into the water she went.  She came up just as fast as she went in and she caught her breath, pulled her hair from her face and looked at him. 

 

“Whoopsy daisy.” He said with a shrug and a laugh.  He turned around and started heading out of the water but something stopped him.  Nalia wrapped her arms around him from behind, he laughed at her feeble attempt at pulling him into the water, and then he felt her legs wrap around his.  She turned them, how he wasn’t sure, and then as he started to fall to his right he realized she was using some Warrior trick on him.  They crashed into the water and as they went under she let go.

 

“That’s cheating?” Nick said as he stood up, both of them soaking wet.

 

“Oh I see so there are rules now?” Nalia said as she raised an eyebrow.

 

“Not now” Nick said as he lunged at her, picked her up and dunked both of them into the water.  They both came up together laughing, the water now just below their shoulders, and they hadn’t realized how far they had gone out. 

 

He wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her against him.  She brushed her hair back as she wrapped an arm around his neck and looked into his eyes.  With a light smile she leaned in and gently kissed him.

 

Nick loved how he would get lost in their kisses.  Although he would never say anything of the kind to AJ or the fellas, if he ever saw them again, it was one of the things he kept to himself.  Next thing Nick knew they were both naked in the lake, still kissing.  Another thing he adored about her, she lived in the moment.  She didn’t care a lot of the times where they were, although still careful because she was a Princess but she didn’t let it stop her.

 

 Nalia didn’t let a lot of things bother her, at least the way the girls back on Earth did.  He wanted to have fun in life and he wanted someone to have that fun with but a lot of the times all he found were people and girls who wanted to be fun half of the time.  Girls that wanted you to change but they weren’t willing to do the same for you.  People who told him this wasn’t the right way to live, you have to do it this way but she wasn’t like that.  She let him have a life, she became apart of his life, she didn’t become his life, or expect to be his life and it made things much easier.

 

Nick smiled as he kissed her forehead lightly and he helped her get dress.  They walked side by side back up the hill and into the cottage.  He took her upstairs where they continued their lake rendezvous in the comfort and warmth of their bed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Aj sat in his meeting room looking over some papers Avit had given him when they had arrived back home.  The documents were reports on the civil unrest about Aj being King.  People still had a problem with him being leader of the Elvaans, leader of Winnol.  Their argument, he wasn’t raised here and some were even saying he wasn’t born here but an imposter using magic on everyone.  They were starting to have more meetings than usual, the place switching every week, they heard whispers of the group getting bigger and now there were reports of recruitment in the streets late at night.

 

“Should we have the spies start patrols?” Aj asked Avit as he sat back in his chair.

 

“It might be a good idea, at least just to see if the rumors are true and proceed from there.” Avit told him as he sat across from him.  “You know they are also using Rayne against you.” Avit was talking formally with him something he only did when it was just the two of them, or Rayne was around.

 

“Yeah” Aj said with a light laugh.  “I thought we were supposed to be the peaceful race?” Aj asked him.

 

“We are Sir.” Avit sighed. “Unfortunately are downfall is our pride.”

 

“Well then we should be ready for them to get even more pissed off.” Aj said as he tapped his finger on the desk.

 

“Why is that Sir?” Avit asked.

 

“I’m thinking of asking Rayne to marry me.” Aj said as Avit looked at him stunned.

 

“Alex, that is wonderful news.” Avit replied with a light smile.

 

“Is there something I need to do?” Aj asked.  “You know, as an Elvaan? What do we usual do?”

 

“We are simple people so we really do not do things to the extent that most humans do.” Avit told him.

 

“Would I give her a ring?” Aj asked.

 

“Yes, yes of course, you give her two actually, one symbolizing her and one symbolizing you.” Avit said. “You give her the two rings and ask that her love joins with yours, after she says yes the Coalesce happens and then the next day at dawn, she will give you two rings which completes the bond.”

 

“That’s cool.” Aj said thinking he liked that way better than the way back on Earth.

 

“It is more or less the ceremonies that are different, humans like to have lots of people, in big buildings with big giant parties and Elvaans like to have this be a private moment, just the two of you and the Arch Bishop which would be Kel’Ryn.”  Avit told him.

 

“But we like to party so much I thought this wouldn’t be any different.” Aj said with a light smile.

 

“We do Sir, and there will be but not till after the couple have coalesce, after the dawn ceremony.”

 

“What’s that?” Aj asked.  “Oh wait never mind.” Aj said with a smile.  “Wait, were we supposed to wait?”

 

“I like how you say were.” Avit said with a laugh. “No, it is only called that when the couple come together as the complete bonding.”

 

“How come you party after?” Aj asked intrigued, although at times he wanted to party afterwards too.

 

“With Elvaans we take sexual relations as a type of bonding, when two people come together out of marriage, we believe they are making love, they are expressing to each other how they feel.” Avit explained as Aj listened.  “When two people come together after marriage it takes on a whole new meaning, they are not so much bonding as keeping their bond, and expanding their bond by creating life.”

 

“Back home it was always the proper thing to ask the parents first, should I ask her mom?” Aj asked.

 

“You do not have too, if she was still a Princess than yes, but she is a Queen, you do not need anyone’s permission but hers.”  Avit said.  “But if you ask me Sir, it would make life with Halian a little easier and that could never hurt.”  Aj smiled and then started to laugh at Avit’s comment.

 

“You know I don’t think I’ve ever seen you go out with a girl.” Aj said jokingly.

 

“I choose not to Sir.” Avit said with a light smile.

 

“Because of Tas?” Aj asked.

 

“Yes” He said with a nod.  “A woman deserves a man’s heart, all of it, and I can not do that.” Avit said as Aj frowned.  “A piece of my heart will always be with her.”

 

“She must have been pretty amazing.” Aj said.

 

“Oh she was Sir; she was strong and wise like Marsa but patient and kind like her mother.”

 

“I wish I could have known her.” Aj said sadly.

 

“She wanted to know you too; Marsa never hid anything from his children, telling them everything when they were old enough to know.” Avit said.  “Even her patients were growing thin with Dyn.”  Aj smirked at the thought.

 

Aj heard something outside and he looked over at the door, when he didn’t hear a knock he looked down at the space between the bottom of the door and the wood floor.  He could see a shadow outside of his door and he looked at Avit, who by then had notice Aj’s attention had been diverted.

 

Slowly Avit stood up and walked over to the door.  He reached for the door knobbed and opened it quickly, hoping to catch the person on the other side; he was not expecting to see who he saw.

 

“Elder Drania, may I help you?” Avit asked.

 

“Oh Avit hello.” She said a little startled.  “I was looking for Queen Rayne.”

 

“She is not here; she is still resting in her room.” Avit told her.

 

“Did you need something Elder?” Aj asked as he stood up.

 

“How is her Majesty doing?” She asked as Avit let her walk in.

 

“She’s doing better but still needs some rest, I wanted to talk to you about our meeting if it would be alright to cancel it, I would like to take her somewhere, Priests orders.” He said with a smile.

 

“That is fine King Alexander; we shall set up a new one when you return.” Drania said.  “I will speak with Rayne at another time then, send her my best.” She said with a light smile.

 

“I will Drania thank you.” Aj said with a nod.  They said goodbye to the Druid Leader and then returned to their seats in the room.

 

“So, where do I buy these rings?” Aj asked as he continued the conversation him and Avit were having.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Nick sat on the grass, his legs stretched out in front of him, his back leaning against a dead tree log, and his arms stretched along the log kept him balanced.  He watched with admiration as Nalia went through her sword skills.  She stood off in the distance giving herself plenty of room.  The blades would spin like propellers at her side and then criss cross in front of her.  She would spin around and thrust out the sword in her right hand, while swinging the sword in her left hand over her head. 

 

As he watched her everything went blurry and he looked away wondering if he was staring too long.  He looked out to the lake and a second later everything went blurry on him again.  Reaching up he rubbed his eyes and looked up again, hoping this time everything would focus, but it didn’t and it seemed to get worse.  Standing up he felt a rush go through him and he quickly sat back down again.

 

The rush that he got a moment earlier started to manifest into something else.  A feeling of want came over him, a sense of need came over him, and he took a deep breath as it began to over come him.

 

“Nick?” He heard someone say and he looked up at the blurry image in front of him.  He looked away when the sensation rushed through him again. 

 

“Nali help.” Nick gasped out as he tried to stand up.

 

“Nick, Nick what is going on?” She said as she took him by the arms.  When she touched him he felt it, the same thing he felt when he drained the life from Dyn, and what Ignis had from drained her.  It called for him, it teased him, and he looked at Nalia as his eyes pleaded with her.  “Nickolas?” Nalia asked and her voice shook with worry.

 

“Just..a…little.” He whispered as he dropped to his knees and grabbed her arms trying to hold himself up.

 

“What?” Nalia asked not hearing what he said but he didn’t repeat himself.  She gasped in pain as she felt the spell release into her.  Nalia looked at Nick horrified as she tried to pull her arms away.  “Nick stop.” She pleaded but he didn’t let go the sensation to strong, his body didn’t want to let go.  A sudden jolt pushed him back and soon the growing feeling was replaced by a strong pain sensation.  He looked up as he fell to the ground and saw Nalia running into the cottage; it was the last thing he saw before everything went dark.

 

 

Chapter 5 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                          Volume II

 

                                                       Chapter 5

 

Nick moaned as he rolled his head back and it gently thumped against something.  His eyes slowly opened and he looked around as they began to focus but it was hard to concentrate with his head and body throbbing in pain. 

 

“Nali?” He whispered wondering what was going on.  He went to move his arms in front of him to push himself up off the ground but nothing happened.  Pulling on his arms he felt something holding them back and he looked down to see a leather strap.  It was wrapped around his midsection, his arms to his side; he pulled forward and realized the strap was tied to something behind him holding him in place.

 

“Nali?” He said loudly and winced in pain.  He looked around the room and realized he was in the living room.  Waiting to hear any kind of movement Nick listened as he tried to fidget with his restraints.  “Come on Nalia I’m sorry, I dunno what happened.” He said when she didn’t answer him. 

 

Realizing she wasn’t anywhere around he closed his eyes and concentrated.  A purple orb lit up in front of him and it was glowing a bright purple as sparks and streams of light shot out from it.  With a nasty cackle laugh a small demon popped out.

 

“Master?” The small demon said.

 

“Get me out of these straps.” Nick said as he wiggled a little.  The small little goblin quickly walked over behind Nick and looked at the situation.  Then Nick felt his hand erupt in pain and he pulled his arms forward as he grabbed them.

 

“Ow damn it careful.” Nick shouted as he grabbed his hand.  He saw his sleeves were burnt and realized the goblin used a fire spell.

 

“Sorry Master.” The imp screeched out as it walked over to him.  Taking one last look around Nick headed out the front door and looked around the large lake area.  When he looked over at the Gryphon pens he saw that there was a bird missing and he sighed.

 

“Great, she’s probably gone to get the Warlocks.” He said as he looked up to the sky.  “I’m not going in spell lock.” Nick said as he looked around.  Quickly he ran back into the house and began collecting things.

 

“I can get out of this myself; I just need to be left alone, no one bugging me, like I handle everything else, on my own.” Nick said as he packed some food into a bag.  “I’ll just camp out in the bush for a couple of days and get pass this.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

The room was silent all but the light sound of the Tree Falls outside her window echoed through her room as she read the piece of paper in front of her.  She frowned as she read the good things Avit had to say.

 

“Strong, noble, and wise, Miss Hawlaz would make a very fine candidate for Captain of Sarila Guardians, her loyalty is unmatched.”  She scoffed at the word loyalty and wonder if Avit put it in there on purpose.  Mumbling under her breath as she put the paper down, she sat back in her chair and started to have that feeling again.  She closed her eyes and relaxed like the Priest told her too but it wasn’t helping that much.  Slowly she stood up and walked over to the window.  As she opened one window she sat down on the sill and let the light breeze hit her face.  With her eyes closed she tried to relax herself again but as she did she could hear light chatter coming from below.

 

Sitting up a little she looked down out of her window and saw Elder Drania on the lawn area of the small park.  She lightly smiled when she saw her sitting with a male Elvaan and wondered if she should be watching their private moment.  Drania broke out into laughter and leaned forward as she did what Rayne saw made her sit up quickly.  It was Alex sitting beside her and as a look of puzzlement fell over her face, he leaned forward and whispered something in the Elder’s ear.  She stared at them as they talked and laughed, she watched as Drania would touch his arm and they would lean towards each other as they laughed.

 

“Alex!” Rayne shouted from her window but they didn’t even acknowledge her.  “Alexander!” She shouted again this time with a little bit of anger and they still ignored her.  With a furious growl Rayne picked up her dress and bolted for the bedroom door.  Pulling the door open it swung all the way open and slammed against the wall behind it.  She stomped down the hall towards the stairs making her way to the bottom floor where the Castle entrance to Tree Falls Park was. 

 

“Alex!” She shouted as she flew out into the park area but she stopped dead when she saw there was no one there.  “Alex!?” She shouted as she looked around.

 

“Rayne?” She heard Aj shout from beside her and she spun around, ready to question him on why he was out here with Drania and why they were so friendly but she stopped.

 

“What are you doing up there?” She asked confused as she looked up at him and Avit standing on his meeting room balcony.

 

“Talking to Avit.” Aj said.  “What are you doing out of your room, you’re suppose to be resting.”

 

“I was..” She stopped as she looked back to the spot where she saw Drania and him.  She was confused now, there was no way Alex could get to his Meeting room in the time it took her to get down the stairs she would have seen him.  “How long have you been there?” She asked.

 

“An hour or so” Aj said as he tilted his head a little.  Rayne didn’t say anything else as she slowly turned around and looked at the spot again.  She swore she saw the two of them sitting together, here. 

 

“Maybe it was the dizzy spell.” She said quietly as she gently bit her lip.

 

“Stay there, we’re coming down.” Aj shouted to her and she looked up as him and Avit disappeared behind the large glass doors. Confused she walked over to the spot where she saw them and looked around.  A minute later Avit and Aj walked out the door and right over too her.

 

“What’s wrong?” Aj asked as he walked up to her.  “Why were you shouting for me?”

 

“I..” She stopped herself and thought about whether or not to tell him.  Alex must have taken the hesitation as confusion and took her by the waist.

 

“This is why you’re supposed to be upstairs resting.” He said as he started walking them towards the door.  She thought it best not to say anything at all and walked with him and Avit back into the Castle.

 

They walked up the stairs Alex telling her the whole time how important it was for her to follow what the Priests say until these spells stop.  She wondered even more if what she saw was real, how could he show so much care towards her yet betray her in that way.  She knows he has done it to his girlfriends in the past, but she believed him when he said things here were different for him.

 

“King Alexander, Queen Rayne!?” Someone shouted at them from down the hall and they, along with Avit turned around quickly to see who it was.

 

“Bussa is everything alright?” Rayne asked as she saw Cornel Bussa running towards them.

 

“Queen Evia has sent me, something happened to Prince Nickolas while he and Princess Nalia were at the cottage.” He told them.

 

“What happened is he ok?” Aj asked with a little panic.

 

“I do not know, I was told to come get you right away.” He told them.

 

“Go rest I’m going to go see what’s going on.” Aj said to her as he walked her to the bedroom door.

 

“No, I am fine, I want to know too.” She said to him as she stopped walking.

 

“Only cause I don’t wanna fight right now.” Aj said taking her hand and then followed Bussa back down the hall to the Kalica globe room.

 

“What did Nalia say when she showed up?” Aj asked as Avit opened the doors to the room.

 

“I did not talk to her she went right to her mother, her mother sent me to get you.” Bussa told him as they walked up to the globe. 

 

Rayne looked at Aj as they put their hands on the globe; she frowned at the look on his face.  She looked at the globe as the smoke floated up around her and within a second they were in Kalica.

 

Everyone quickly walked down the hall and then walked down the small staircase.  When they reached the bottom of the stairs, Bussa opened the thick wooden door and they all walked out into the large foyer. 

 

“This way.” Bussa said as he motioned towards a long hallway.  They followed him as they passed a couple of doors and stopped near the middle of the hallway, and followed Bussa into Evia’s Throne room.

 

“Thank you Bussa” Evia said and Rayne heard the relief in her voice.  As Rayne looked around she realized Master Warlock Pewdis was there.

 

“What’s going on?” Aj asked as Rayne walked up beside him and took his hand.

 

“Where’s Nalia?” Rayne asked after she noticed Nalia wasn’t there.

 

“She went to see a Priest.”  Evia said and Aj let go of her hand.

 

“What happened?” He asked as he took a step forward.

 

“Nalia showed up here a few hours after her and Nickolas had left for the cottage, she said that her and Nick were outside, she was practicing and he was watching, she looked over at him and noticed he was acting strangely.”

 

“Strange how?” Aj asked her.

 

“He tried to stand up but fell, she went to see if he was alright and that’s when he..” Evia stopped.

 

“What did he do Evia?” Rayne asked as she stepped up beside Aj.

 

“He tried to drain her.” Evia said as she looked at Rayne.  “She knocked him out, waited until she thought it was safe, tied him up in the cottage and came back here.”

 

“He what?” Aj gasped.  “Why?”

 

“I thought he was doing the meditation?” Rayne asked.

 

“He was, Nalia said he was, she said he was fine, up until now.” Evia said to her.

 

“What meditation, what are you talking about?” Aj asked.  Rayne looked at Aj, he was looking right at her, and she sighed realizing she was going to have to tell him.  Nick asked them not to say anything to him about what happened to Warlocks, well not how serious it could really get. 

 

He said “Alex would constantly worry and the man doesn’t need it.” She remembered.

 

“You know the Warlock job is powerful.” Rayne said to him.

 

“Yeah, we all are that’s why the Guardians are these jobs.” Aj said to her.

 

“Yes, well with a Warlock because they deal with dark magic, with death, many of them become lost, many of them live alone because they enjoy death, they enjoy the dark and many of them need it.”

 

“Need it.” Aj said and she saw the look in his eyes.

 

“Yes.” She nodded.  “Like that.”

 

“Why wasn’t I told this?” Aj asked and she watched as anger filled his eyes.

 

“Nick did not want us too; he did not want you to worry.” Rayne said.

 

“So you knew.” Aj asked her.  “You knew all along what would happen to him, even when he first got here?” He said.  “We didn’t get a choice, he didn’t get a choice?!” Aj shouted.

 

“None of us do Alex, it is the way things are but there are things Warlocks can do to help control it.” Rayne said to him.

 

“Well it didn’t fucking work!” He shouted at her and then stormed out of the room.  Quickly she looked around and ran out after him.

 

“Alex stop please!” She shouted as she saw him down the hall.

 

“Go away Rayne.” He shouted back at her.  Running down the hall she caught up to him and grabbed his arm.

 

“Where are you going?” She asked him turning him to face her.

 

“I’m going to get a Gryphon and I’m going to go see Nick.” Aj said and started walking again.

 

“Then I am going with you.” She said as she followed beside him.

 

“No.” Aj said as he stopped dead in his tracks.  “You’re staying here; I don’t need you having a dizzy spell up on a Gryphon.  Besides, I’m really pissed you hid this from me, about him and what could happen.”

 

“Nick asked me..”

 

“I don’t care Rayne.  You should have told me.” He said and then continued to walk down the hall leaving the Palace.

Chapter 6 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                          Volume II

 

                                                       Chapter 6

 

Aj pulled back on the Gryphon reins, carefully leaning back as he landed his Gryphon near the cottage.  As he jumped down he looked over and saw Avit landing his bird.  They walked over to the pens and secured their flying mounts and walked to the front of the house.

 

“Evia said Nalia tied him up in the front room.” Avit told him as Aj opened the door.  He looked around and didn’t see anything until he gazed to the dining area and saw the leather straps lying on the ground.  Quickly he walked over and knelt down picking up one of the straps.

 

“He got out.” Aj said as he looked up at Avit.  His General picked up the strap and sniffed the end.

 

“Burnt.” Avit said as he quickly pulled it away.  “His goblin.” Avit sighed.

 

“Did you know too?” Aj asked.

 

“I knew what could happen to a Warlock yes, we all do but I did not know Nickolas was having trouble finding his balance, as far as I knew he was following the meditation.”  Avit told him.

 

“Balance?” Aj asked.

 

“Everyone has a good side and a bad side, a bright side and a dark side, with Warlocks the fight to stay balanced is very hard, for some reason a lot of them tend to shy away, become addicted to the black art, to the death they can steal from people.” Avit explained to him. “People who follow light are a little different; they are not exactly going to…” He stopped and looked at AJ with a unsure glance.  “Get pleasure and peace when someone dies.”

 

“I don’t believe this.” Aj said as he stood up.  “How come they didn’t tell me something was wrong?”

 

“I’m sure Nick did not want you to worry.” Avit said as Aj looked at him.  He then walked out the front door and started looking around into the forest behind the cottage. 

 

“Nick!” Aj shouted as he took some steps towards the forest.

 

“What if he went back to the Palace?” Avit asked.

 

“He’s probably freaked out because Nalia tied him up.” Aj said as he turned and looked at Avit.

 

“I am sure she did it for his safety and hers.” Avit told him.  “We should go back Alex, talk to Master Warlock Prewdis and Bussa and I can set up a proper search party.”

 

AJ took a deep breath and looked around one more time as Avit’s words sunk in.  He knew his General was right but he didn’t want to leave, Nick was out there alone, thinking god knows what.

 

“Fine.” AJ said with a sigh.  “But I’m coming with the search team.”

 

“Of course.” Avit said with relief he had talked AJ into going back.

 

They mounted up and took off back to the Hevi Palace.  Instead of landing at the tower they landed on top of the Palace and handed the giant birds off to a pair of guards.  They walked down the long staircase and it took them a minute to reach the bottom.  When they did Avit opened the door and they walked out into the large foyer on the Palace’s first floor.  AJ looked around when they walked into the Throne room and saw Evia and Master Warlock Prewdis there. They explained to each of them what they found at the cottage.

 

“I’m going to get Bussa and put together a search party now, he’s in the Barrack Quarters?” Avit asked as Evia walked up to them.

 

“Yes” She nodded as he excused himself and left to the Barracks.

 

“King Alexander this is Master Warlock Prewdis.” She said as she introduced them.

 

“How can we fix this?” Aj asked him not saying hello or anything.

 

“Well we need to find Prince Nickolas so we can put him back onto a routine.” He told AJ.  The Warlock talked about the importance of Nick’s Meditation, the importance that he does it everyday, and that when he starts to feel things going bad he needs to take a moment and calm himself.  It all made AJ’s head spin it sounded like the stuff his doctors told him to do, even the meditation. 

 

“Where’s Rayne?” He asked.

 

“She went back to Winnol.” Evia told him.

 

“Why wasn’t I told about what could happen to Nick, what was happening to Nick.” AJ asked her.

 

“Like I told Rayne Alex, we did not know he was having trouble with it, as far as we knew he was following everything and doing fine and as far as not telling you, he asked us not to he did not want you to worry.”  She explained to him and he took a deep breath as he leaned against a tall pillar.

 

“How’s Nalia?” He asked.

 

“She’s still a little shaken up and worried about him but either than that she’s fine.” Evia told him.  “He didn’t have her in the spell to long to do any serious damage.” 

 

“I’m going to go see Rayne, tell Avit to come get me if they are ready to head out and I’m not back yet.

 

“Alright” Evia said with a nod.  AJ said goodbye to the two people and then left the room.  He made his way up the foyer stairs and headed to the Winnol globe room.

 

When he arrived back home he headed directly for his bedroom chambers.  As he opened the door he looked around and scanned it for Rayne but he didn’t see her.  The window curtains were closed, he looked over to the bed as he let the door gently close behind him and noticed the curtains around the bed were closed too.

 

As he walked over to the bed he passed the desk and looked down at the pieces of paper scattered across it.  He picked up the one that had her signature and royal stamp on it.

 

“I hear by declare Jaina Hawlaz my Guardian and the Captain of Sarila.” AJ quietly read.  He stared at the paper; he was shocked she had actually decided on it.  Holding onto the paper he walked over to her side of the bed and pulled back on the curtains.  A light smile came over his face when he saw her lying there, sleeping under the blankets.  Sitting down on the edge of the bed, he placed his hand on the side of her hip and gently shook her.

 

“Rayne” He said as she started to move.  Slowly she rolled over and opened her eyes.

 

“How is Nick?” She asked as she quickly sat up when she realized it was him.

 

“Dunno.” AJ said with a shrug.  “When Avit and I went out there he was gone.”

 

“Gone?” She lightly gasp.

 

“Yeah” He nodded.  “Bussa and Avit are getting a search party together now.”

 

“I am so very sorry I never told you, if I had known he was slipping I would have.” Rayne said as she took his hand.

 

“Its ok hun, I’m sorry I snapped at you, I’m starting to think Nick didn’t tell anyone how bad it was getting.”  She lightly smiled as she leaned in and kissed him on the lips.  “Did you want to come?” He asked her.

 

“No I’m going to stay here.” She said remembering back to her sitting on windowsill and what she saw.

 

“Really?” AJ said a little surprised that she said no.

 

“I think I need some more rest.” She said as she looked down at her blankets.

 

“Is something wrong?” AJ asked her as he wrapped his hand on the side of her arm. 

 

“I am still having the dizzy spells and I have had lots of sleep.” She said as she looked at him with worry. 

 

“I’ll get a Priest before I leave to go find Nick.” AJ said as he brushed the back of his fingers gently down her cheek.  “So what’s with this?” He asked as he held out the paper to her.  “We talked about this last night and you screamed at me for bringing it up.”

 

“I need rest so I need someone to run the daily duties.” She said as she looked up at him.  “This morning I saw…” A knock at the door interrupted her.

 

“Hold that thought.” AJ said with a smile as he got up and walked over to the door.  When he opened it he saw Drania standing on the other side.

 

“Hello.” He said with a light smile.

 

“You’re Majesty.” She said with a bow.  “I was hoping Queen Rayne was awake I would like to speak with her.”

 

“Sure.” AJ said as he stepped back to let her in.  He closed the door when she entered and then walked over to the front of the bed.

 

“Elder Drania” Rayne said with a nod. 

 

“How are you feeling?” The Elder asked.

 

“A little better.” Rayne told her.  “Did you need something?”

 

“I was just wondering if there was anything the Druids might be able to do, perhaps we could send you to the Phantasm.”  She said.

 

“The what?” AJ asked as he quickly looked at Rayne.

 

“It is alright Alex.” Rayne said as she lightly smiled at him.  “It is like a dream we can go there and seek advice from the spirits.”

 

“It is not something we do often but when certain situations call for it we will use it as an option.” Elder Drania said as AJ looked at her.

 

“Maybe you should then, if it’s not going to hurt you.” He said to Rayne.

 

“I thank you for the offer Drania but I do feel it is not necessary right now.” Rayne said.

 

“If you feel you need too please come see me.” Drania told her.

 

“Thank you.” Rayne lightly smiled.

 

“Well then I shall take my leave.” She said as she looked at the two of them.  AJ walked over to the door and opened it for her. 

 

“King Alexander?” Drania said as she turned and looked at him.

 

“Yes?” AJ said as he stood at the doorway and she stood out in the hall.

 

“I heard that Prince Nickolas is missing.” She said with a frown.

 

“Oh.” AJ said.  “Wow word travels fast.”

 

“With Druids, yes it does.” Drania said with a light smile and AJ smiled back, knowing she meant they have a tendency to over hear things while they are linked with animals.  “Will Queen Rayne be going?”

 

            “Uh no, she’s still not feeling well enough.” AJ told her.

 

            “Then perhaps I could send a couple of druids with you, might help with the search in the woods.” Drania offered.

 

            “That would be great actually, thanks.” AJ said.

 

“Wonderful, I will tell them to report to Avit.”

 

“Sounds good, thanks again.” AJ said with a nod. She bowed and then walked down the hall.

 

“What did she want?” Rayne asked him as soon as the door was closed.

 

“Huh?” AJ said as he looked back at the door.  “Oh she’s going to send some Druids to help with the search since you’re not going to be there.”

 

“Oh” Rayne said as he sat down beside her again.

 

“I’m going to go and see how things are coming.” AJ said as he took her hand.

 

“Already?” She asked.

 

“I want to get a good amount of time in before it gets dark.” AJ said.  “When night time hits we’re only going to be able to rely on the Elvaans that are there.”

 

“Well maybe I should go to Kalica, I could sit with Nalia.” She said as she started to pull down the blankets.

 

“Rayne, sweetheart.” AJ said stopping her.  “Its fine really, I’d much rather have you rest, when we get Nick back and everything resolved, we’re going to take a little trip.”

 

“A trip?” She asked confused as she laid down and he pulled the covers over her.

 

“Yep and I’m not saying anything more.” AJ said and leaned down, gently kissing her on the forehead.  “I’ll let you know as soon as we get back ok?”

 

“Ok.” She nodded.  He smiled at her, carefully leaned down and kissed her on the lips. 

 

“I love you” He told her.

 

“I love you too.” She answered. 

 

AJ closed the curtain back over and then looked down at the piece of paper in his hand.  He turned around and was going to ask her if she wanted him to hand this in for her, then decided just to go ahead, better do it now, before she changed her mind.  Folding the paper up he tucked it away into his pocket and then left the room, making his way back to Kalica.

 

 

Chapter 7 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                          Volume II

 

                                                       Chapter 7

 

Nick pulled his robe around him tight as he leaned up against the rock wall in the cave he had crawled into.  It was getting dark and as the sun fell so did the temperature.  He wanted to start a fire but he didn’t want it to reveal where he was.  This cave wasn’t a very good place for a fire either, small and cramped but he needed someplace to crash for the night.

 

His body shook and he wasn’t sure if it was because of the cold settling in or because he hadn’t meditated at all and that feeling had been back for a while.  It took everything in him to fight it and now as he relaxed in the cave he found himself getting sleepy.  As he lied on the ground, he opened his eyes and looked out the cave opening, towards Hevi.  He thought about Alex and how pissed he was going to be.  Nick heard him shouting a while ago for him but this was something he needed to do on his own.  His eyes fluttered again but this time they closed.  He lied there on the hard, cold, dirty cave floor sleeping.  Everything dark, everything quite, no pain, no wanting or needing, then a voice in the distance and Nick thought about opening his eyes to see if someone was coming to the cave but for some reason he found himself not being able too.

 

“Nickolas?” The voice said again.  “Do you hear me?”

 

“Who is this?” Nick mumbled weak and tired.

 

“You are not well.” The voice said sadly.  “The darkness it calls to you?”

 

“What?” Nick asked as he felt himself coming too or at least he thought he was, he still couldn’t see anything.

 

“The Warlocks of this world suffer the most from of my absence.” The voice told him.

 

“Who are you?” Nick asked still laying on the ground.

 

“It is good that you can hear me, it means our connection is strong and I haven’t been connected to a Guardian like this in a very long time.” The voice told him.

 

“Pixca?” Nick asked shocked.

 

“Yes Nickolas.” She said and he wondered if she smiled as she answered.

 

“Where are you?” He asked.

 

“I wish I knew, in a cave, somewhere.” She replied.

 

“That helps.” Nick sighed.

 

“You must go back.” She told him.

 

“No” Nick replied quickly.  “I’m not going back there until I pass this.”

 

“You can not do it without me.” She told him.

 

“Well I’m going to have too ain’t I, since you’re not exactly here.” He snapped.  “And why can you talk to me now all of a sudden?” He asked.

 

She sighed and he wondered if he was going to get an answer at all.  “I can feel you, all four of you but you only recently have become noticeable should I say.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Perhaps it is because of the state you are in.” She said to him. He wondered what she looked like, still not being able to see anything.  “I can help you Nickolas but you need to go back and get rest.”

 

“How can you help me, you said you were trapped.”

 

“Use this, the connection we have, seek me out and when you do you will find what you are looking for.” She told him.

 

“What I’m looking for?” He asked wondering what she meant.

 

“Death.” She said and as she spoke the words Nick felt himself become calm and relaxed.

 

 

 

 

 

Aj looked around the woods his eyes picking out the leaves, the bushes, the sticks on the ground and what things looked like in the distance.  Only thing is, it was dark out and everyone had gone back to camp except the Druids and Elvaans.  Aj’s new night vision was one of the few things he still wasn’t getting use too, even though he played it off like it was the coolest thing ever.  Avit had just left his side telling him they will push a little deeper and then make their way back to the cottage, starting again tomorrow so they could get some sleep.  He walked slowly through the forest, glancing down every once in a while, checking where his feet were going to step next.

 

“Fancy meeting you hear.”

 

Aj looked up and saw Nick slowly walking towards him.  He squinted and looked harder making sure what he saw was real.  Nick was holding himself up on a tree, he looked tired and weak.

 

“Over here!” Aj shouted as he walked over to Nick.  “When you get better I’m so fucking kicking your ass.”

 

“Save it or I’ll turn back around.” Nick moaned.

 

“And go where? Besides, you don’t look like you can out run me.” Aj said he reached for Nick.

 

“Please, smoker.” Nick huffed.

 

“Not in a year thank you.” Aj replied quickly.

 

“Only cause you had too.”

 

“Maybe.” Aj shrugged and he saw a small smile break from Nick’s lips.  “Why didn’t you tell me? Why didn’t you tell me it was getting this bad?”

 

“Cause I didn’t want you freaking out, like you are now.” Nick said as Avit and some druids helped him lay down on the stretcher.

 

“I’m freaking out because you’ve been out here in the forest by yourself. I’m freaking out because you didn’t tell me what was going on.”

 

“Is Nali ok?” Nick asked.

 

“Yeah she’s fine.” Aj said “Worried about you.”

 

“I just need some sleep.” Nick said as Aj looked up and saw the cottage in the distance.

 

“You need more than sleep, you need to talk to the Warlocks and you need to deal with what ever it is going on with you.” Aj told him.

 

“I said I was fine.”

 

“I don’t think Nalia would say you’re fine, especially after trying to drain her again.” Aj snapped.  He watched his friend got quiet and he sighed as he decided to let it go for now.

 

When they arrived at the cottage they took Nick inside and let the Priest and Warlocks look at him, making sure he was ok.  Aj stayed outside with Avit, he sat on one of the chairs and looked out at the lake.  He started to remember when he was out here a year ago, fighting Ignis and trying to save Nick.  And now he was back here almost doing the same thing.  The front door to the cottage opened and Aj saw a Warlock come out.  He walked right over to him and Avit.

 

“He says he wants to go back to the Palace.” The Warlock told him.

 

“Is he well enough to fly?” Aj asked.

 

“As long as he rides with someone yes, I think getting him back to the Master Warlock would be wise as well.”  The woman nodded.

 

“Alright.” Aj said with a light sigh.  “Avit get the gryphon’s ready.”  Aj said to his General and the man nodded as he headed towards the stables.

 

When they got back to Hevi, Aj walked with the Druids as they took Nick to the medical building.  He noticed Bussa wasn’t with them anymore, figured he had gone back to the Palace to tell Nalia and Evia that Nick was back, safely.

 

Aj waited outside of Nick’s room with Avit as the Priest tended to him.  When there was a commotion down the hall he looked up and saw Bussa coming towards them with the Master Warlock.  He looked past them and saw Nalia and her Mom walking behind them. 

 

“He’s in there.” Aj said as the group reached him.

 

“Can we see him?” Nalia asked.

 

“The Priests haven’t come out yet.” Aj shrugged a little.

 

“I am going inside.” Nalia said as she walked past everyone and into the room.  Aj looked around at everyone as they slowly followed her into the room.

 

Aj stopped by the doors as everyone spread out around Nick’s bed.  Nalia stood at the foot of his bed and Aj noticed she was staring at him as he laid in the bed talking to a Priest.

 

“How is he?” Aj asked as he walked over to the Priest.

 

“I’m fine.” Nick said as Aj looked at him.

 

“He is going to be ok as long as he sticks to the meditation but he needs to rest and relax for a little while.” The man said.

 

“Then I will let him rest we shall discuss getting you back on your schedule tomorrow.” Master Warlock Prewdis said to Nick. Aj sighed to himself when Nick didn’t say anything.  When Prewdis and the Priests had left the room Aj looked back to Nick.

 

“You better follow it this time.” Aj said to him as he sat in a chair.

 

“I said I’m fine.” Nick said as he slid down the bed a little.

 

“Yeah and I thought I was ok too.” Aj said as Nick looked at him confused.  Then he rolled his eyes when he realized what Aj was talking about.

 

“This is not like you, ok.  I can do this, I’m fine.” Nick said as he rolled on his side.  “I just need sleep so if you all don’t mind.”

 

Aj sighed as he shook his head lightly.  He wanted to harp on Nick more but he knew right now it was probably helpless.  He looked around and saw Bussa and Evia leaving the room.  He looked at Nalia and saw her still staring at Nick.  Thinking it might be better to let Nalia get it into his head, he decided to leave too.

 

“Well I’m going to go.” Aj said standing up.  “I should go back to Winnol check on Rayne anyways.”

 

“She’s here, in Hevi.” Nalia said as she finally looked away from Nick.

 

“Here?” Aj said a little confused.

 

“Yes, she showed up sometime after dinner, wondering if we had heard from you.” Nalia said.  “She still does not look well, is she sleeping?”

 

“Yeah she’s sleeping.” Aj said with a nod.  “I don’t get it, the Priest said she needed rest it was just exhaustion but she doesn’t look like she’s getting better, and I know she doesn’t feel like it either.

 

“How do you know that?” Nick asked.

 

“She told me.” Aj said as he looked at him.  “She even signed Jaina’s declaration for Captain. She said she needs someone to watch things while she rests more.  I know her; she was hell bent on waiting until she was ready, then she just turns around and signs it.”

 

“What do you think it is then?” Nalia asked

 

“I’m not sure; I don’t even think she knows.” Aj said with a sigh.  “Anyways I’ll go check on her now, is she in the Palace?”

 

“Yes, she was in the Palace garden with us when Bussa came and got us.” Nalia told him.  “I believe she is still there, she did not come with us.”

 

“Alright.” He nodded.  “You.” He said pointing to Nick. “Get some sleep, we’ll talk more tomorrow.”

 

“Yeah fine.” Nick said.  Aj looked at Nalia who just looked away from him with a frown.

 

Aj walked out of the room and down the hallway.  He walked out of the building and headed down the street that took him straight to the Palace.  The people would smile and nod at him, the Elvaans would bow and even some of the Human’s did as well. 

 

“Alex?” A voice said from behind him and he turned around noticing there was no King in front of his name.  He smiled when he saw Halian, Rayne’s Mom walking up to him.

 

“Hi.” He said as she stopped in front of him.

 

“How is Nick?” She asked.

 

“Resting but they said he’ll be ok when he gets back on track.” Aj told her.

 

“Good, I am glad to hear it.” She said with a light smile.

 

“I was just going to go see Rayne; Nalia said she was in the Garden.” Aj said as he pointed back to the Palace.

 

“Yes she came here after she woke up.” Halian said as they started walking and he could tell there was something more to it in her voice.

 

“Is she ok?” Aj asked.

 

“I wish I knew.” Halian sighed.  “She woke up in panic looking for you, wondering where you were. I brought her here and Evia told her you were still out looking.” Halian said as she stopped walking.  Aj stopped a few steps ahead of her and turned around. “After that she got very quite again and has been in the garden this whole time.”

 

“You’re worried.” Aj said reading the signs on her face.  She looked at him for a moment.

 

“Yes, I am.” She frowned.  “I feel what is going on with her is more than just exhaustion but she will not tell me a thing, only that she is tired.”  Aj and her started walking again towards the Palace both quite. He wondered if she was quite for the same reason he was, thinking about Rayne.

 

“Follow that hall the gate is near the end.” Halian said reminding him.

 

“Thanks” Aj said with a light smile.  “I’ll let you know if I find out anything.”

 

“Thank you.” She said with a light nod.  He watched her walk through the foyer and up the stairs.  Turning around he made his way down the hall, watching the gate doors that lead out to the Garden.

 

When he arrived he saw her right away sitting by the small pond, her legs curled under her, her long dress covering her small feet.  He walked up to her and saw that she was crying.  Aj didn’t say anything as he sat down beside her, she looked up quickly at him, and he could tell she was shocked to see him.  Her eyes were red and soaked with tears.  He reached up and wiped the tear falling down her cheek.  When he did she started crying harder and he pulled her into his arms.

 

“Rayne, sweetheart, what is going on?” He asked her after a moment.  She didn’t say anything still softly crying as she held onto him tightly. “Rayne please tell me what is making you so upset.”

 

Slowly she pulled away and looked into his eyes.  He watched as they darted around a little and then she looked away.  Placing his finger tips on her chin he turned her face to look at him.

 

“I..” She stopped and Aj raised his eyebrows a little.  “I do not know what is wrong.” She whispered.  “I am tired even after I sleep for hours, my head constantly hurts, and..” She stopped speaking and Aj looked at her waiting for her to finish.

 

“And?”

 

“And I keep seeing you with her.” She said quickly almost snapping.

 

“Her?” Aj asked confused. “Me, with whom?”

 

“Drania” Rayne said as she looked at him.  “I saw you and her down at the Tree Falls, you were..” She sighed and wiped her eyes.  “You were talking to her like you talk to me, you were touching her like you touch me and I got mad and started yelling out the window at you but you just ignored me. So I went down there, when I got there you and her were gone.” She stopped and took another breath.  “You were up in your Meeting room with Avit.”

 

“Rayne” Aj said not really sure what to say.  “I would never, I mean I know I have in the past, but that was..”

 

“The past I know Alex.” She said as she tried to fight back her tears.  “But I keep seeing you with her, in my dreams, when I am awake.”

 

“When you’re awake?” He asked.

 

“Yes.” She nodded.  “Like at the Tree Falls and today when I woke up from my nap, I went to go see if you were back and that is when I saw you two together again.”

 

“But I was..”

 

“Looking for Nick I know and at the Tree Falls you had been with Avit in your Meeting room” She said as she looked at him and it was then he saw how scared she was.  He pulled her into his arms and held her tight as she cried.

 

“I wanted to tell you sooner but I did not want you to think I was accusing you.” She said as he felt her hands slid up her back.

 

“It’s ok dalin’ we’ll figure out what’s going on, I promise.” Aj said as he brushed his hand down the back of her head but he had a feeling who it was and when he was done here, he was going to put an end to it.

 

 

           

 

 

Chapter 8 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                          Volume II

 

                                                       Chapter 8

 

Aj stormed into the cottage in the park, the Druid head quarters, the woman standing in the front room quickly walked over to him, but he put his hand up and walked right past her.  She looked at him stunned and shocked as he disappeared down the hall.  When he reached the doors to the Council room he saw two guards standing beside them.  They looked at him as he approached the doors and then jumped back in shock as they flew open slamming into the walls on the inside of the room. The guards stared at him as Aj stood there; he hadn’t even touched the doors.  Drania and the High Druids looked up confused and startled.

 

“King Alexander what is the meaning of this intrusion.” Drania said very confused.

 

“Stop it.” Aj said angrily at her as she stood up on the other side of the table. He still hadn’t walked into the room.

 

“Stop what?” She asked confused.

 

“Stop the spell on Rayne and stop it now.” Aj said as he finally took a step into the room.

 

“I assure you King Alexander I do not know what spell you are talking about.” Drania said but that wasn’t the answer Aj was looking for.  With a livid growl Aj throw out his left hand and a gust of wind blew through the room, it sent the table in front of Drania flying away from her and the Elvaan woman almost fell to the ground, trying to dodge the flying table.  The guards outside entered the room, the guards in the room drew their swords but hesitated on what they should do, this was their King.

 

“You think I’m fucking playing?!” Aj yelled at her as the wind blew around everyone.  Some of the books that weren’t securely sitting on the shelves started blowing off, loose paper that was on the tables and desks flew around the room.  “I don’t know why you Druids need to be all up in my business but it stops now!” Aj shouted at her.

 

“I can see you are very upset Alexander.” Drania said trying to stay calm.  “If this has anything to do with Queen Rayne’s condition I assure you I or any of the other Druids have anything to do with it.” She told him.

 

“Then why is she seeing you.” Aj said angrily.

 

“Me?” Drania said confused.  She took a breath and then looked around the room.  “Leave us.”

 

“Drania?” Larsung said as he looked at her worried.

 

“It is fine Larsung.” Drania reassured him.  Slowly everyone left the room even the guards and she brought her attention back to Aj.  “Now please King Alexander why are you making these accusations?”

 

“Rayne’s not tired someone is messing with her head, making her see things that aren’t really there.” Aj said to her his tone still very angry.  “And considering it’s you she’s seeing, well I have to wonder don’t I.”

 

“Why would she see me, what am I doing to her?”

 

Aj let out a small laugh, not a haha laugh the pissed off kind of laugh.  “It’s not what you’re doing to her; it’s what you’re doing to me.”

 

“Oh.” Drania said a little stunned.  “King Alexander I assure you I am not the one behind this spell, Rayne is my friend and I like to think you are as well, the last thing I would do is come between the two of you, and even if I wanted to I couldn’t I see how much you two love each other.”

 

“Which is why you’re doing it this way.” Aj said angrily.

 

“No I am not.” Drania said.  “But I will do everything in my power and in the Druids power to help you find out who.”

 

“I don’t need your help.” Aj shouted with frustration. “I want you and the damn Druids to stay out of our Business and if this spell doesn’t lift from her by tonight, I will rip this town apart until I find the source.”

 

With that Aj took off out of the room leaving Drania standing there in shock and amazement, she had never ever seen him this angry.  As he flew out of the front doors of the cottage, he mumbled to himself in frustration, the threat got him no where.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

            Nick sat under the blankets on his bed looking out the window.  It was open a little bit and the curtain waved as a light breeze blew in.  He was alone in the room, finally, all the Warlocks and Priests had left from that mornings check up, and Nalia was out doing her daily duties.

 

            “Use this, the connection we have, seek me out and when you do you will find what you are looking for.” The voice said over in his head.

 

            Nick took a deep breath as he thought about what she meant.  Was it really Pixca, if it was he should do what she says, she can help him but what if it wasn’t, what if it was someone messing with him, like someone was messing with Rayne.  At least Aj thinks anyways.  He thought back to this morning when Aj was visiting and he told Nick what Rayne had told him the night before.  She was seeing things, things that weren’t really there.  Nick wasn’t sure what exactly it was, Aj wouldn’t tell him but his friend was pissed, really pissed.  He sighed as he looked down to his sheets, he hated being confused like this, not sure what to do, or where to go next.

 

            Nick looked up with a confused look on his face when he heard a commotion out in the hall.  He stared at the large wooden door to his and Nalia’s room as the shouting voice got closer.  The doors here were thick and he couldn’t here what was going on, on the other side, even with the yelling.  The confusion quickly wiped from his face when the door to his room flew open and then slammed closed as Nalia stormed into the room. 

 

“Nali?” He asked as he watched her stomp across their bedroom, she didn’t say anything as she made her way to the door across from the bed.  It was the door that led to the second floor of her mothers meeting room.  She grabbed the door pulling it open and disappeared as the door closed behind her.

 

Nick got up out of the bed and made his way over to the door Nalia had just walked through.  He was still light headed and it felt like he hadn’t walked in a week but he made his way there with the help of the furniture.  Turning the door knob Nick quietly open the large door and the yelling started again.

 

“Nalia sweetheart you need to calm down.” He heard Evia tell her.

 

“I will not calm down, those Warlocks want to isolate him they want to put him with the others.”

 

“The others?” Nick thought as his eyebrows etched into a frown.

 

“He will not be put with the others Nalia, they have different facilities for the different stages.” Evia said.  “They just want to make sure he will stick to his meditation.”

 

“I can make sure.” Nalia said in defense.

 

“You can only do what Nickolas will let you; he has already hid his condition from you once.” Evia replied. 

 

“So then you are on their side.” Nalia said.

 

“I am not on any side Nalia but I need to think about Hevi and Kalica and I can not have some rogue Warlock running around especially a Guardian one.” Evia said and that was all Nick needed to hear or wanted too.  He lightly closed the door over and made his way back to his bed.  He crawled under the blankets and laid back against the head board.  Closing his eyes he took a deep breath and thought about what Evia had said.

 

…seek me out and when you do you will find what you are looking for.” The voice said again in his mind.  Then the words that Evia said played in his head, calling him a rogue Warlock.  He knew what she meant by that, meaning he was out of control, and he wasn’t.  He was just confused and maybe a little scared, this whole Warlock thing was new to him but he knew he wasn’t going to be locked away in some room.

 

The door across from him opened and he looked up, seeing Nalia walk into the room.  When she closed the door she looked up at him and he saw the shock on her face that he was looking back at her.

 

“You ok?” He asked.

 

“Yes.” She replied as she looked away and walked over to her desk.

 

“What was that about?” Nick asked playing dumb.

 

“What was what? She asked as she looked back up at him.

 

“You and the yelling outside.” Nick said nodding to the door that lead out to the second floor hallway. “Then you stormed in here and went into the meeting room.”

 

“It was nothing Nick, just Palace politics.” She said but her voice was quiet. 

 

“Nali.” Nick said and she looked up at him. 

 

“I will tell you.” She said. “Only if you tell me why you sought fit not to tell me about what you were feeling, how bad it was getting for you.”  Nick looked away he didn’t’ see that coming.  “I understand why you did not tell Alex but Nick I could have helped you, I still can.”

 

“I didn’t tell you because I didn’t want you to worry.” Nick said with a light shrug.

 

“Worry, as appose to you draining me and then taking off into the woods?” She asked.

 

“I said I was sorry.” Nick said.  “I didn’t know it was going to get like that.”

 

“Exactly.” Nalia said and Nick looked up at her.  “You don’t know.” She said and it shocked him a little when she said don’t.  “You were not raised here, you were not told about how Warlocks can isolate themselves, how they can fall into darkness, but I was and I can help you, if you let me.”  She walked over to their bed and sat down beside him.

 

“They want to take you to Pomic.” Nalia said as she took his hand.

 

“What’s in Pomic?” Nick asked but he had a feeling he knew.

 

“The Warlocks have a place there, it is like a hospital.” She said looking at him hoping he would understand.

 

“Oh.” Nick said realizing he heard right.  “Am I really that bad?”

 

“No” Nalia said shaking her head.  “They just want to take a precaution because you’re a Guardian and…”

 

“And I might go all Peter Parker on this place.” Nick sighed.

 

“Who?” Nalia asked confused. 

 

“Peter Parker is Spiderman and in the comic…never mind.” Nick smiled at her and then lightly laughed.  “It means I understand what you’re saying.” He said and she smiled back at him.  “Do you think I should go?”

 

“No, but it does not matter what I think.” She told him.  “If the Master Warlock thinks you should be brought to Pomic then..”

 

“So I don’t get a choice?” Nick said as he started getting defensive.   Nalia didn’t say anything and that answered Nick’s question.  “Great.” He sighed.  “When are they taking me?” He asked.

 

“As soon as possible.” She told him.  Nick moaned in frustration as he put his head in his hand and then ran his fingers through his hair. “I wish there was something else we could do.”

 

Nick looked up at her when she said those words and the words that he had heard back in the cave played in his head.  He looked at her wondering if he should tell her.  He didn’t know where Pixca was or how to talk to her again; he didn’t even know if he could make the trip, where ever it was, alone.

 

“There might be.” Nick said quietly and Nalia looked at him confused.  “Something happened while I was in the cave that I haven’t told anyone.” Nick said to her.  “And I’m not even sure if it was real but if it means not being locked away, then I’m going to try.”  He then told her about the voice he heard in the cave, who it was, and what she said to him. 

 

“She said she could help me but I’m not sure if it’s someone messing with me.” Nick told her.  “You know this place a hell of a lot better than I do, so if you come with me, maybe we can find her together.”

 

“And Rayne and Alex as well.”

 

“No” Nick said quickly.  “Someone is defiantly messing with Rayne and she’s too weak and tired to come, she’d hold us back, and Alex won’t leave her alone for long right now.”

 

“Then the two of us will go, we will leave tonight.” Nalia told him.

 

“What if they want to take me to Pomic before then?” Nick asked her.

 

“I think I can stall them to wait until tomorrow and by then we will be gone.” She said and Nick couldn’t help but let a small smile slip from his lips.

 

“And if it’s not Pixca?” He asked.

 

“Then I will gladly run my sword through who ever it is.” She replied anger stirring in her voice.

 

Chapter 9 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                          Volume II

 

                                                       Chapter 9

 

 

Aj sat hunched over the thick wooden table, books and papers scattered in front of him.  His eyes blinked every couple of seconds, tired, dry and sore from reading for such a long time under the dull light of the oil lamp that sat beside him.  He was the only one left in the Mage’s Library, the only left in the Mage’s Hall, and the only one left awake in Winnol, or so he thought. 

 

When he heard the sound of a door opening in the distance he looked up and listened, when he heard footsteps coming towards the library he looked around and realized the place was empty.  One of the two solid oak doors slowly swung open and Aj saw Avit walk through the door.

 

“Av?” He stopped when he saw Avit turn and take Rayne by the arm and walked her into the room.  “Is everything ok?” He asked as he stood up from his chair.

 

“Thank you Avit.” Rayne said with a light smile.  Avit nodded at her and then left the library, closing the door the behind him.

 

“What time is it?” Aj asked her as she walked over too him.

 

“Half pass three in the morning.” Rayne said to him.

 

“Oh” Aj said a little stunned.

 

“What are you doing?” She asked as she walked over to the table and the books.  Rayne picked up a large purple leather book and looked at the title written in gold thread stitched into the cover.  “A Mages Guide to the Mind” She looked at Aj and then looked down at another book picking it up.  “Mind Magic, Alex what are these?”

 

“The first one is a book on, um, how to use magic to see the minds energy and that one.” He said pointing to the book in her hand. “Is on the different magic’s that are used against the mind, Mage, Warlock..Druid.” He said as he began to clean up the table.

 

“Alex.” Rayne sighed as she put the book down.  “This is where you have been all day?”

 

“Yeah, I teleported in here, told them I didn’t want to be disturbed.” He said as he walked over and put a couple of books away.

 

“After you went to see Drania I assume?” She asked and he stopped at the shelf, slid the book back into its place and turned around.

 

“Yes.” Aj said as he looked at her.

 

“Alex you know better than to attack someone, especially the High Druid and now the people are talking…” She said but he interrupted her.

 

“I don’t care what the people think Rayne, someone is making you sick and I am going to find out who.”

 

“But you can not just toss out spells and attack innocent people trying to do so Alex.” Rayne said her anger becoming apparent to Aj.

 

“Drania is not innocent in this.” Aj said to her.

 

“How do you know Alex, just because it’s her in these visions?” She asked.

 

“Well why not?” Aj snapped back at her and then turned his attention back to the books and cleaning them up.  Rayne sighed as she sat down at one of the chairs.  She sat quietly as he skimmed over the books, putting them back into their spots.  “Why are you here anyways you should be sleeping.” He said without turning around.

 

“Avit came and got me, he’s worried about you, and there’s news from Kalica.” She said as he put the last book away.

 

“About Nick?” He asked as he turned around.

 

“Yes” She nodded.  “It appears he has run away again.’

 

“What?” Aj half yelled, his voice sounding much louder as it echo’d around the room.  “I’m going to killing him.” Aj growled as he headed towards the library doors.

 

“Alex.” Rayne said as she stood up and he stopped and looked at her.

 

“What is it?” Aj asked when he saw the look on her face.

 

“Nalia’s gone too.” She replied.  “It looks like they left together.”

 

“Together?” Aj asked confused.

 

“Avit said Bussa told him he heard Nalia and her mother fighting earlier about Nick, the Warlocks wanted to send him to Pomic..”

 

“What’s in Pomic?” Aj asked interrupting.

 

“It is where the Warlocks take the one’s who are falling or have fallen to the darkness, the ones that haven’t secluded themselves.”

 

“Great.” Aj sighed knowing now why the two took off.  “Well let’s get you back to the Castle and then Avit and I will go look for them.”

 

“They will not be doing any searching tonight, it’s too dark.” She told him as he walked up too her.

 

“I’m an Elf I can see fine.” Aj replied as he walked towards the doors and opened the door leaving it as such for her.

 

“Alex..” Rayne pleaded.

 

“I’m going Rayne.” Aj shouted back as he walked through the doors. When he walked past Avit he stopped but didn’t turn around.

 

“Don’t let her out of your sight until I get back.” He told his General and then began walking down the hallway but he stopped dead when he saw the grey wolf standing at the other end.

 

“Rayne.” Aj shouted.  “Call her off.”  The wolf stood up and started walking towards him.  His eyebrows frown as the wild dog got closer and he started to see it wasn’t Paq.  As the wolf began to dash at Aj and Avit the confusion made Aj lose his train of thought and no spells came to mind as the wolf ran right past him.  He looked at Avit confused and then as he heard a holler and the sounds of furniture crashing to the floor he realized the wolf was going for Rayne.

 

“Rayne!” Aj shouted as both him and Avit dashed through the library doors.  They stopped as a beam of light shot down from the ceiling, the room lit up in white light, a loud boom sound echoed through out the room and then silence and dark.  It caused Aj and Avit to shield their eyes and then fall to the floor for cover.  When it was quiet again the two men looked around the room as they slowly stood up.

 

They saw the wolf lying on the floor and quickly looked to Rayne as she stood a few feet away from it.  She starred at it for a moment and then quickly slumped to the floor.  Aj didn’t say anything as he ran to her sliding over the two tables that were in his way.

 

“Rayne?” Aj quickly shouted as he found her on her knees sitting on the floor.

 

“I am alright the spell just took a lot out of me.” She said tiredly.

 

“Your Moonbeam spell shouldn’t tire you out like that.” Aj said to her.

 

“How did a wolf get in here?” Avit asked as Aj looked up at him.

 

“Druid” Aj said as he looked at Rayne.  She looked away from him to the wolf, she didn’t want to believe it, she actually thought she had made a friend here, someone who didn’t judge her but it was becoming more apparent that Drania was behind this.

 

“Is that Drania’s wolf your highness?” Avit asked her.

 

“It doesn’t matter if it’s hers, she could have grabbed one from the forest.”  Aj said as he helped Rayne stand up.  “Get the guards to go get her; she has questions to answer.” Aj said angrily to Avit.

 

“As you wish Sir.” Avit nodded.  “But please let me do the asking this time.” He sighed as Aj picked Rayne up.

 

 

 

“We should stop here.” Nalia said to Nick as she looked around.  “That cave is large enough to house a fire.”

 

“Won’t they see us?” He asked.

 

“No it’s very early into the morning, if they do know we’re gone they won’t be able to search properly until later.” She told him as they walked towards the cave.

 

“What about the Elvaans?” Nick asked.

 

“Alex can’t have all the Elvaan’s out looking for us.” Nalia said with a light smile.  “We’ve put enough time between them and us, we should be alright.”

 

“Ok” Nick said with a nod as he ducked down and entered the cave. 

 

“I’m going to go find some wood and brush; there should be some stones around here for flint.” She said as she quickly looked around.

 

“I can come.” Nick said as he started to head back out of the cave.

 

“No” She said stopping him.  “Just stay here and rest, we’ve been walking a long time, maybe you should meditate.” She told him as she put her hand on his chest.  “I won’t be long.”  Nalia lightly smiled as she turned around and headed into the woods.

 

“Meditate.” Nick huffed as he sat down on the ground leaning against the cave wall.  He took a deep breath and closed his eyes, his head gently lying against the wall.  He cleared his mind and let his body relax, like the Warlocks told him to do.

 

Nick was never one for clearing his head and he soon started to think about the last time he was in a cave.  When he had fallen asleep and heard Pixca, at least he thinks it was her.  He wondered what would happen if he called out for her in his head, would she hear him?  Slowly he opened an eye and looked around the cave, Nalia wasn’t back yet. So with a deep breath he closed his eyes again and then started to think about Pixca.

 

“Where are you, how am I suppose to find you?” He asked quietly in his head.

 

“Nickolas?” He heard the woman’s voice say.  It was soft and gently and not as loud as before.  Only this time when she spoke a sensation went through his body.  It made those feelings come back, the ones he worked hard on pushing away.  The want, the need started to come back, and he could feel the power coming from her.

 

A noise from outside the cave jolted him from his concentration and he looked up startled as Nalia walked in with an arm full of wood and some dried dead grass in her hand.  He looked at her shocked at first, startled by the noise and then began to calm down as she dropped the wood on the ground.

 

“Do you want my goblin to start it?” He asked.

 

“No, you are not supposed to use your magic needlessly.” Nalia told him.

 

“We need fire.” Nick said to her.

 

“And we can do it this way.” She said holding up two pieces of stone.  Nick lightly smiled and sat up, helping Nalia set up a fire pit.

 

“How are you feeling?” She asked as she tucked the dried grass under the blocks of wood. 

 

“I’m fine.” Nick said with a shrug.  “Little tired I guess.”  He watched as she smacked the two stones together, a small spark would flash from the ends but it wasn’t enough to light the grass.

 

“Let me try?” Nick asked as he reached for the stones.  She looked at him confused but handed him the two rocks.  Nick took them and then placed them closer to the grass under the logs.  Holding a couple of pieces of brush under the one rock he then smacked the second rock against it.  Doing that a couple of more times he got the grass to light and then gently blew on it to get it glowing hotter.

 

“I thought you said you didn’t do much camping?” Nalia asked.

 

“Not really, maybe when I was younger and my Mom and Dad moved around a lot.” Nick said with a shrug.  “Learned how to do that from Kevin, told me who knows the bus might break down and we’ll need a fire.”  He told her as she lightly laughed.  “Good thing I listened to him that time.” Nick smiled, Nalia started laughing harder and soon he joined in.

 

“What?” He asked when he saw Nalia staring at him.

 

“It is good to see you laugh again.” She said as she took his hand.

 

“I’m sorry I scared you.” Nick said to her.

 

“You have said that a thousand times Nick.” She said with a light smile.  “And every time I tell you, it is ok.”

 

“I know but what happened at the cottage, what I did to you I didn’t mean it, I don’t know why I did it.” He said to her as she got up and sat down beside him.

 

“I know and you need not worry I can take care of myself.” She replied.

 

“Yeah, don’t I know it.” Nick said remembering her knocking him out at the cottage. 

 

“We should get some rest.” Nalia said as she reached for her bag.  “It will be morning soon and we need to leave before the sun is up.”

 

He watched as she pulled out a blanket, then she unclipped the mat from under her bag and laid it on the ground.  She then slid on top of it and looked at Nick; patting the mat she waited for him to join her.  Slowly he crawled over and laid down beside her as she covered them with the blanket.

 

“Should we put the fire out?” Nick asked.

 

“No, it will be fine.” She said as she lightly shook her head.  Nick laid down beside her and closed his eyes as he tucked his arm under his bag.  After a moment he opened them and looked across from him.  She lied there with her eyes closed, her hand gently resting on his arm.  A small smile broke from the corner his lip.

 

“Hey Nali?” He whispered wonder if she was still awake.

 

“Mmhmm? She softly mumbled as she opened her eyes.

 

“Thanks.”

 

“For?” She wondered.

 

“For being here when I need you.” He told her.

 

“Of course, where else would I be?” She said as rubbed his arm.

 

 

Chapter 10 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                          Volume II

 

                                                       Chapter 10

 

 

Nick stopped and looked around at their surroundings.  They had come out of the woods and were now coming to a clearing of large hills and rocks.  The air was surprisingly warm but for Nick it didn’t matter, he was freezing. 

 

“Do you know where we are?” He asked looking at Nalia as she walked up beside him.

 

“I think we’re south west of Pomic about a days walk away.” Nalia said as she looked at him, watched him shiver in the warm air.

 

“What’s over there?” Nick asked pointing to the mountains in the distance.

 

“The Windless Gorge and Ashmourn but it is nothing but Volcano’s.” Nalia said as Nick stared off into the distance.

 

“That’s where we need to go.” He told her as he slowly looked away too her.

 

            “To Ashmourn? Nick you can not be serious, if the climb up the cliffs does not kill us the lava most defiantly will.” She said stunned.

 

            “Nalia that’s where I need to be.” Nick said to her as his gaze left the mountains and returned to her.

 

            “Ashmourn, Ashmourn is where you need to go? Nickolas, are you sure about this?” She asked still very hesitant about it. 

 

            He nodded his head “I can feel her Nali, and the closer we get the stronger it gets.”

 

“Then why can I not feel anything, I am a Guardian too.”  She asked him.

 

“I don’t know.” Nick shrugged back.  “I didn’t make the rules.” Nalia rolled her eyes as she looked over towards Ashmourn.  “Is there like a city there or something?”

 

“Just the old Dwarf Keep  .” Nalia shrugged.

 

“Wait..the Dwarfs use to live here, on Kalica?” Nick asked.

 

“Yes, thousands of years ago, we fought over that land, we fought for many years.” She told him.  “The Dwarfs had moved in and started mining it and we…Well we probably knew better than to start digging wholes inside of Volcano’s.”

 

“So what happened?” He asked.

 

“If you ask the Dwarves, an accident happened and lava filled the Keep.” She told him.

 

“And what do the Humans say happened?” He asked.

 

“Well you know us Nick, tales get turned into stories, stories get turned into tales and..” She said as she started walking down a hill.

 

“Nalia.” Nick said sternly.

 

“They found something in those rocks, or did something inside those rocks, and one day they just stopped showing up.” She said as she stopped and turned to him.

 

“To the war?” Nick asked.

 

“Yes, their reinforcements stop showing up, the ones that were left surrendered. They were confused so they sent men there and they did not return, and then one day King Ladern, the Dwarf King back then, he came to Hevi from Tokia and told King Rexeus there had been a terrible accident. That Ashmourn was too dangerous to inhabit for both sides.  They agreed to leave the place alone and ever since then it’s been off limits, for everyone.” 

 

“Un wanted territory.” Nick said as he looked over to the mountains.

 

“Un wanted dangerous, very very very dangerous territory.” Nalia said taking his arm.

 

“Then maybe you should go to Pomic.” Nick told her.

 

“What? No.” Nalia said sternly.

 

“I don’t wanna drag you there and have something happened to you, I don’t know why I’m going there, maybe it’s her, maybe it’s not.  No, no you’re not coming this was stupid of me to bring you.”  Nick said as he looked towards Pomic.

 

“I can handle myself.” Nalia replied as she stepped in front of him.

 

“Nalia if anything happened to you.” Nick said to her but she interrupted him.

 

“Me? What about you? I am at full strength, and you..you.. look at you.” Nalia shouted pointing at him.  Purple circles around his eyes, his skin had gone pale and even his eyes looked different, not dark blue like they once were, almost lighter in colour.  “Did you sleep at all this morning?” She asked.  “No Nick I am not leaving you, if you say we go to Ashmourn then we go to Ashmourn.”

 

Nalia fixed her bag, pulling it higher onto her shoulder and then started walking down the hill again.  Nick watched her for a moment, everything in him wanted her to turn around and go back, he couldn’t live with himself if something happened to her because of this.  But something in him wanted her to stay; he was scared, confused, and not sure what was going to happen to him. What was even scarier to him was the fact he had never needed anyone like that before, especially a girl he loved.  With a deep breath Nick began to walk down the hill, making sure to add some bigger strides in his step to catch up with her.  The two stayed quiet as they made their way across the grassy hills of southern Kalica, heading towards the Windless Gorge and to Ashmourn.

 

 

 

 

 

Aj sat at his desk in his meeting room at the Winnol Castle.  He packed up the books he had borrowed from the Mages Library and tucked them safely into his bag.  When the door opened Aj looked over and saw Avit walk in with a woman.  She was tall, her blonde hair tied up into a braided bun, the armor around her chest proudly displayed the Sarila crest.

 

“Jaina thanks for coming.” Aj said as he closed his bag up.

 

“Is her highness alright?” Jaina asked.

 

“Yes but I need to go, I am going with the search team to look for Nalia and Nick.”  Aj told her.  “Drania is not allowed to leave the city; I want Rayne to go home to Sarila while I’m gone.”

 

“Yes Sir.” Jaina nodded.

 

Aj looked at Avit and then nodded to him.  Jaina looked back at Aj’s General as he nodded and walked out of the room closing the door behind him.  She looked back at Aj now a little confused.

 

“What’s going on sir?” She asked.

 

“What I’m going to tell you does not leave this room.” He told her and she lightly nodded.  “Last night a wolf attacked Rayne..” He raised his hand when she went to talk.  “She’s fine Jaina.” Aj said smiling at her concern.  “While she was sleeping I got Avit to bring in a Druid that he trusted, I got him to perform a life reading on her.”

 

“What did he fine Sir?” She asked.

 

“The Druid said it looks like there are two foreign energies surrounding her.” Aj told her.  “One around her mind and one..” He stopped and Jaina a little frown etched on her lips as she saw the anger come over him.  “One around her heart.”

 

“Her heart?” Jaina asked.  “What, what does that mean?”

 

“Someone is draining her power, her energy.” Aj told her.

 

“Does she know?” Jaina asked.

 

“No, no she doesn’t and I want to keep it that way.” He said quickly.  “Last night when she was attacked she conjured her moonbeam spell and it almost knocked her out.” Aj said remembering.  “A spell so simple should not drain her the way it did.”

 

“But what about the visions?” Jaina asked.

 

“I think they might be a distraction.” Aj told her.  “I’m not sure yet, that’s why I want her to go back to Sarila, keep her away from Drania and the other Druids.”

 

“It is not fair the way they treat her, they should respect her.” Jaina said and Aj heard a small hint of anger.  Aj didn’t say anything; he couldn’t because he had said that statement so many times, it was like he didn’t even hear the words.

 

“I need to go tell her be warned she’s not going to be happy.” Aj said as he picked up his bag.

 

“That she’s to return to Sarila?” Jaina asked.

 

“No” Aj said as he stopped and looked at her.  “That I’m leaving her in your care and not Avit’s, but I need him with me.”

 

“I see.” Jaina said sadly.

 

“Someday Jaina she will trust you but she’s been betrayed a lot, so much she’s got me feeling sorry for her.” Aj said and lightly smiled at the inside joke with himself.  “Let her be mad just don’t let her leave Sarila.” Aj asked her.

 

“Yes Sir.” Jaina said with a nod.

 

“I’ll meet you in the globe room.” Aj told her as they walked to the door.  She opened the door and they both walked out.  Aj made his way down the hall and up the stairs towards his bedroom, Jaina stopped outside the doors beside Avit.

 

“He is very worried about her.” Jaina said as she looked to Avit.

 

“Yes.” Avit nodded.  “Would you not be worried if it was someone you loved in trouble.”

 

“Perhaps.” Jaina said as she looked back up the stairs.  “Perhaps I would need to be in love first.”  Avit looked at her a little shocked she had said anything of the sort.  “Well I should return to the globe room.” She said with a light smile.

 

 

Aj walked down the hall going over the things he needed in his mind.  Making sure he had the supplies for the search, making sure he made all the preparations for Rayne retuning back to Sarila.  Opening the door he walked into the room and saw Rayne sitting on the windowsill looking out at the TreeFalls.  When she heard the door open she looked over and smiled softly when she saw him.

 

“Hey” Aj said as he set his bag down by the door.  Her face was tired, sunken, her hair a mess from the sleep she just woke from.

 

“Are we going on that trip now?” She asked as he walked over to her.  Quickly he looked back at his bag and then back to her.

 

“No, not yet darlin’.” He said as he sat down beside her.

 

“You’re leaving aren’t you, to go find Nick and Nalia.” She said weakly.

 

“Yeah” He replied.

 

“I will be fine with Avit here.” Rayne lightly smiled.

 

“I need Avit with me Rayne.” Aj told her.  “I want you to go home while I’m gone, your Mom is there and…and Jaina is there.”

 

“Jaina” She scoffed tiredly.  “I can take care of myself.” She said as she stood up and as she took a step, she began to fall.

 

“Rayne.” Aj called out lightly as he caught her.  He set her gently down on the floor as she held onto him.  “You can trust her Rayne.”

 

“Like I could trust Rem and Drania.” Rayne said as she looked at him.  “And look at me, I can not conjure a spell I learned in my first month with the Druids, me, some great a noble Guardian can not even lift a fork.”

 

“I’ll find out how she’s doing it Rayne and I’ll stop her.” Aj told her as he wiped her eyes.  “But I need to find Nick first before he hurts Nalia or himself.”

 

“I know.” Rayne whispered.

 

“I’ll be back as soon as I can alright?” He said to her as he pulled her into his arms.  “Just please, go to Sarila where Jaina can keep an eye on you.”

 

“Alex..” Rayne started to protest.

 

“I know you don’t trust her but I do, so trust that ok?” He said as he pulled her away.  Rayne looked at him, she didn’t want him to go as a Druid she could sense him here even when he’s gone because this is where he was born.  “Rayne?”

 

“Alright, fine.” She sighed giving in.  Aj smiled and then kissed her.

 

“Thank you.” He said as he helped her up. “Now let’s get you packed up, I’ll take you there and get you settled before I go.”

 

“Alex they could be anywhere.” Rayne said as they walked across the room.

 

“I know.” Aj replied as he sat her down on the bed.  “But we can cover a lot of ground on the Gryphon’s, and there are some Druids that want to help so we can search a wide area.”  He kissed her on the forehead and walked over to her dresser, grabbing the bag that was tucked beside it.  Opening her dresser drawer he pulled out some of her clothes and began to pack them.

 

“How long will you be gone?” She asked as she watched him pack her things.

 

“A couple of days maybe more depending on if we find anything.” He told her.

 

“A couple of days?” She replied a little stunned.

 

“I need to find him Rayne you know that.” Aj said turning to her with her travel robe in his hand.

 

“I wish I could be there with you.” She whispered.

 

He knelt down in front of her, placing her robe on the bed beside her.  “I know you do but you need to rest.” He told her as he tucked a piece of her bang behind her ear.  “So you can be there the next time the fucker takes off.”  She lightly smiled and then lightly laughed.

 

 

 

Chapter 11 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                          Volume II

 

                                                       Chapter 11

 

 

 

Rayne stood at the open window over looking the city below.  Drisel a city she fought so hard to protect, now felt foreign too her.  The people below started moving on with their lives, waiting for her to bring their Pixca back.  She closed her eyes as her head began to spin and her jaw tightened in frustration.  Placing her hand on the stone wall she held herself up as the pain worsened. 

 

“Rayne sweetheart are you alright?”  Her mother said from behind her.

 

“Yes.” Rayne said quickly as she turned around.  She looked up and saw her Mother walking into the room with a tray of food and Jaina behind her.  “I’m not hungry.” Rayne said as she rolled her eyes turning back around.

 

“Eat.” Her Mother said to her as she set the silver tray down on the table at the end of her bed.  “Do not make me teleport to Alex and tell him your being such a stubborn little..”

 

“Fine.” Rayne mumbled as she slowly walked over to the table.  She sat down and her Mom removed the lid from her dinner.  “Any word?”

 

“No your highness.” Jaina said and Rayne looked up at her with tired and annoyed eyes.

 

“Rayne” Halian hiss at her.  Looking away Rayne returned her stare back to her food and her eyes locked on her fork as she lifted it.

 

“Weak and pathetic excuse for a Guardian” She thought or did she.

 

“I need to go over the daily reports; I will be back in a half hour.” Halian said to Rayne as she placed her hand on her daughters shoulder.

 

“Take her with you.” Rayne said as she lifted her fork to her mouth, when her Mother walked away.

 

“No I will not.” Halian angrily said as she turned and looked at her daughter.  “She is your Guardian and you will treat her as such.”

 

“My Guardian?” Rayne said looking up at them.  “I do not need a Guardian, I am a Guardian!” She shouted as she slammed her fist down onto the table.

 

“Yes my dear you certainly look like one.” Halian replied and Rayne looked down at her plate.  “I know you are frustrated.”

 

“Frustrated? I am not frustrated; I am angry, angry that I can not be there for Alex, angry that I have to be something else he needs to worry about, and angry there is nothing I can do to help him.” She closed her eyes pushing back the anger that made her want to scream and the fright that made her want to cry. “If only…”  Rayne stopped as the thought drifted into her mind.

 

“If only what Rayne?” Her Mother asked.  Rayne looked up and was about to tell them her thought but something inside her made her hold back.

 

“Nothing” She said as she looked back down to her food.  “Can I please just eat alone?”

 

“Very well” Halian replied with a frown.  She walked over to Jaina and nodded for her to follow.  Rayne looked up as her Mother and Jaina left the room, knowing very well her Mother would leave Jaina at her door outside.

 

Rayne put her fork down as her thoughts went back to a moment ago, the idea, or the possible idea she had.  She wasn’t sure if she could get it to work, she knew she couldn’t, she couldn’t even conjure a Moonbeam spell but what if, what if she could use the life energy.

 

“If only his friends were here.” She thought again.

 

 

 

 

 

Nick followed behind Nalia as they walked across the dry sand.  The wind was blowing the sand in their faces and they tried to shield themselves with their robes.  He was having a hard time keeping up, his head was spinning, his body was aching and he wasn’t sure if he could feel his legs anymore.

 

“Nali?” He said but it wasn’t loud enough, the whistling of the wind in her ears blocked his voice.  “Nali stop.” He said again as he stumbled and fell.  The sound of Nick hitting the ground and the grunt that followed was enough to grab her attention and she turned around.

 

“Nick” She called out when she saw him on his knees.  She knelt down beside him as he tried to get up.

 

“Stop, I need to stop.” He said as she shielded him from the blowing sand.  Sitting up she looked around for a place to hide from the mini sand storm.

 

“Can you make it down into the gorge?” She asked.

 

“Yeah” He nodded as he caught his breath.

 

Nalia helped him stand up and wrapped his arm around her.  A normal girl probably wouldn’t have been much help to him, but Nalia had the strength of ten men when she needed it.  They walked over to the edge and she looked around for the easiest way down.

 

“Over there.” She said pointing to their right.  The couple walked along the edge until they reached an old Ladder.  “Can you climb down that?” She asked.

 

“Yes” He nodded.

 

“I will go first just in case.” She told him.  She took his bag from him and then began climbing down the old wooden ladder steps.  Stopping a little bit down the gorge wall she waited for him and then started climbing the rest of the way down when he was safely on the ladder.  When they reached the bottom she wrapped his arm around her again.  They walked along the wall a few feet and then Nalia helped him sit down.

 

“Rest here, I’m going to find us shelter.” She told him.  His eyes rolled into the back of his head.  “Nick.” She said as she caught his head from falling forward.

 

“I’m ok, I just need to rest.” He said as he opened his eyes and looked at her.  What she saw she didn’t like, his eyes changing she had never seen nor heard of any Warlock do that when they went through this. Every time she looked at him they got lighter and lighter.

 

“Lay down” She told him as she grabbed her bag, putting it on the ground and helping him lie down.  “I will not be long.”

 

Nalia frowned with worry as Nick shook, folding his arms around himself.  She almost didn’t want to leave him but she needed to find a place to sleep for the night.  Kissing him gently on the lips before she left, Nalia stood up and looked around, searching for any sign of a cave.  Figuring the best place to start would be to head towards Ashmourn, the next place they needed to go.

 

As she followed the stone wall, she walked for a few minutes when an opening caught her eye on the left side of the Canyon.  With a sigh of relief she turned around heading back to get Nick but she stopped dead when she saw him standing a few feet behind her.

 

“I found shelter.” She said as he leaned up against the rock wall.  Nalia walked up to him and wrapped his arm around her and lead him over to the cave.  “I do not think we need a fire tonight, it is getting warmer the closer we get to Ashmourn.” 

 

“It hurts” Nick whispered.

 

“Lay down.” She said laying out a mat for him to lie on.

 

“No” He said as his body shook again.  “I..I can’t think, no I think too much, I want too much, I need to keep going, can’t stop.”  He said as he turned for the opening of the cave.

 

“No.” Nalia said stopping him.  “No Nick you are not going anywhere, you need to rest, save your energy.”

 

“Why when I can just take it?” He said as he looked at her, his smile had a hint of evil.  Never had such a small smile made her feel so afraid.

 

“Nick, do not make me hurt you.” She said sternly.  He smirked with a laugh as his body swayed a little.  The smile left his face as quick as it had appeared, and his eyes began to fall in pain.

 

“I need to go.” He said looking at her.

 

“I said no.” She protested.

 

“I need to go now.” He said again as he moved to his left to walk around her.

 

“No” She said as she grabbed his arm.

 

“Nali let me go.” He shouted as he tried to push her away.

 

“No Nick I am not letting you go out there alone.” She pleaded with him.

 

What happened next took her completely by surprise; he spun around and grabbed her by the arms, slamming her into the cave wall.  She cried out in pain as her head smacked against the stone wall.  Then more pain rip through her arms, crawling up draining her and then she heard his voice.

 

“Let me go Nali, let me go.” He growled at her and shook her a little.  As he let go of her the pain in her arms stopped and she slid down the wall disoriented and confused.  She touched the back of her head and winced in pain, pulling her hand away she saw the drops of blood on her fingers.  Grabbing their bags she slowly stood up, getting her bearings after the blow to the head.

 

“Let me go Nali, let me go.” His words played over in her head as she walked out of the cave.

 

“No I will not.” She said to her self as she pulled the hood of her travelers robe over her head and made her way towards Ashmourn.

 

 

 

Chapter 12 by VeeLynn

                                         The Guardian Crusade

                                           Volume II

 

                                                       Chapter 12

 

            Aj walked through the forest with Avit beside him.  They both looked around for any sign of Nick and Nalia.  A trail, a camp, something that would tell them they were this way.  The air was warm and the day was calm so they knew that the two had probably made good ground but Aj had a leg up, the Gryphon’s.  They had been searching all day after searching north of the city and then splitting into two to search the east and the west; they headed south hoping they could cover as much ground before nightfall.

 

“The moon is at our side; perhaps we should call off the search, and begin here tomorrow.” Avit said as the two men walked through the woods.

 

“Sure” Aj said as he stared at the ground.

 

“Everything alright Sir?” Avit asked.

 

“No everything is not alright Avit.” Aj snapped.  “Rayne is sick, Rayne she might be dying and I’m out here searching for Nick.”  Avit looked around as some of the people started to look at them.

 

“You can go back Alex, I can continue the search.” Avit said to him.

 

“No I can’t.” Aj said frustrated.  “I can’t just leave Nick out there. I don’t know what to do Avit, I’m being pulled in two directions and I’m trying to help them both.”

 

“I know Alex and..” Avit was interrupted.

 

“Sir!” A man shouted as he ran up to them.  “We found a camp inside a cave.”

 

“Where?” Avit asked as both men looked at the solider.

 

“This way.” The man said as he turned around and led them to the small moss covered cave.

 

“Looks like they have been here, but some time ago, the fire is cold.” Another man said as he walked out of the cave.

 

“I am thinking they made they’re way towards the Rock hills.” Avit said as he looked to Aj.  “Only other direction is to Pomic and considering why they left, I doubt they went that way.”  Aj said nothing but nodded.

 

“But the Rock Hills only lead to Ashmourn.” The solider who alerted them said.

 

“Ashmourn?” Aj asked.

 

“The lost Dwarf City.” Avit told him.  “That land has been uninhabitable for a thousand years.”

 

“Why would they be going there?” Aj asked.

 

“I do not know Sir.” Avit said with a frown.  Aj took a deep breath and looked around.

 

“We’ll fly to these Rock Hills set up camp and rest; we’ll begin our search there tomorrow.

 

“Very good Sir.” Avit said with a nod.  He then turned around and began shouting out orders for everyone to round up the search teams and call back the Gryphon’s.  They loaded up on the Gryphon’s and headed to the Rock hills.  When they arrived everyone ran around setting up camp and resuming the search.

 

“Your tent is ready Sir.” A soldier said as he approached Avit and Aj.

 

“I will get the final word from everyone and then come see you.” Avit said.  Aj nodded and then followed his soldier to his tent.  He closed the flaps over as he walked inside and grabbed his bag carrying it over to the mat and blanket that laid on the ground.

 

Opening the bag he pulled a book out and began skimming through the pages as he sat down on the mat.  Everyone else may be planning on sleeping but not him.  Thanks to one of the books he had found a way to read the spell that was cast over Rayne’s mind but the one he was more concerned about was the one around her heart, the one the Druid said was draining her of her powers.

 

He thought about Teleporting back to her checking up on her, but he needed to save his energy, he planned to be up all night reading and then search again for Nick in the morning.

 

“Alexander.” He heard someone whisper and he looked up from his book.  His eyes darted around the tent but he didn’t see anything.  He watched the shadows move along his tent walls but no one was stopped outside.  Shaking it off he looked back down at the text.

 

“Alexander.” The voice whispered again.

 

“Alright who’s there?” Aj asked closing the book with a sigh.  No one answered.  “Trippin Mclean, that’s what you get for not sleeping.” Again he returned his attention to the book he was reading, a little paranoid he would look up every second or so, just to make sure. 

 

“Alexander my Champion you must return.” The voice said and Aj looked up startled, the voice seemed to be coming from inside the tent.

 

“Who is this?” Aj asked.

 

“You must return and protect her.” The voice told him.

 

“Who Rayne? I know she’s in trouble but I can’t leave Nick.” Aj replied not sure why he was talking to it.

 

“Nickolas will be fine, he has Nalia, now go Alexander before it is too late.” The voice told him.

 

“Too late? Too late for what?” He asked his voice panicking.

 

“Alex?” Avit said from the tent door and his voice made Aj jump.  “Is everything alright, I thought I heard you talking to someone.”

 

“I..uh..” Aj said unsure what to say.  He looked around still not seeing anyone there.  “I..I..I need to go back to Rayne.”

 

“What?” Avit said out of confusion.

 

“I dunno something’s wrong.” He said quickly as he gathered up his things.

 

“I will get a Gryphon.” Avit said.

 

“No...I’ll teleport.” Aj said as he took one last look around.  “I’ll be back.”

 

“Alright.” Avit nodded not sure what was going on but saw the worry in Aj. In a flash Aj was gone, leaving Avit confused and the tent empty.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The room in Sarila was quiet, the halls were quiet, the Palace was quiet, and everyone, even the night maids were asleep in their quarters.  Even Rayne slept silently for the first time in days, no mumbling, no tossing, she was still until the sound of her door opening changed all that.

 

She slowly opened her eyes as she heard footsteps walk across the floor.  Knowing it was pretty early she wondered if it was Aj and she sat up pulling her hair back.

 

“Alex?” She softly called out to him but no one answered.  She waited and found the room quiet again.  Slowly she reached up for her curtain; she started feeling like something wasn’t right.  Maybe a month ago he would have played this game but not tonight.  Her hand had started to lightly shake as her fingers wrapped around the curtain.  With some hesitation she pulled back the curtain.

 

“Human!” A hooded figure shouted at her as it lunged at her.  Rayne screamed terrified as she scrambled across her bed, falling out to the floor on the other side.  Confused she tried to get under the bed but there was no way she could fit between the floor and the bed.  “Human” The voice hiss at her, she shouted in fright as she covered her ears, the voice so loud, like it was screaming beside her.

 

She tried to collect herself and scrambled to her feet, trying to get to the door and out of the room.  Then something grabbed her from behind and pulled her down to the grown.  Still confused her mind flashed to her when she was on the boat with Dyn.

 

“Help!” She cried as she tried to reach for something to defend herself.

 

“Help.” The voice repeated mocking her.  “No one will help, not even Alexander will help.” She felt the grip that was holding her back let go and she quickly rolled onto her back, sitting up, she started to crawl backwards.

 

“Why are you doing this to me?!” She yelled to nothing in the room.

 

“You, you are unworthy.” The voice said.  “Unworthy of Alexander, he deserves to know true love.”

 

“He loves me.” Rayne cried as she looked around the room frantic.

 

“No!” The voice shouted and then the hooded figured appeared right in front of her.  She screamed and tried to get away but her body froze.  “You are human, you can not know how to love an Elvaan, so full of greed and selfishness, you could never love Alexander the way he deserves to be.”

 

“He will greave, he will mourn, but he will forget, and when he does I will be there.” Its voice said as Rayne looked at it confused. Then just when she thought she couldn’t be any more terrified she clued in to what it meant.  Quickly she sent out a Grasp spell sending a wave of wind and lightning, a small nature storm at the figure.

 

“Milady?” Jaina’s voice broke through the room and Rayne quickly looked at her.

 

“Jaina help!” Rayne shouted as she got up and ran for the door.  She didn’t even give her Guardian and chance to check on her as she ran down the hallway.  Rayne could hear Jaina shouting behind her and she only hoped she was fighting that figure off.  In nothing but her night gown Rayne ran down the hallways of her Palace, she didn’t want to stop until she knew she was safe.

 

“Winnol.” She sighed as she began to run towards the globe room doors and she even found herself relaxing a little.

 

“Run Human run.” The voice said and Rayne quickly looked back seeing the figure behind her.

 

Rayne cried out in pain as she slammed into the doors but as she fell back she grabbed onto the knob, stopping herself from falling.  Her hands slipped around the long metal bar and she shouted in frustration at herself.  Finally the handle pushed down and the door clicked opened.  Quickly she ran inside and closed it behind her, sticking the chair that was beside her under the knob jamming the door shut.  Her body shook as she watched the doors, barely able to see them through her tears.

 

Slowly she backed away from them and stumbled when she reached the pedestal.  Frantic she turned around and touched the globe, when she heard a noise she looked back and saw the figure coming right through the door.  Then nothing but smoke covered her face.  She waited as long as she could before taking her hand off, hoping it was enough time she stepped down, and looked around the room.

 

“Winnol.” She sighed.  When the globe started smoking again Rayne shook her head in disbelief.  Before giving the figure a chance to get into the room, she grabbed the key and shut the globe down.  She then made a dash for the door and opened it breaking free into the hallway.

 

This hallway was just like the one in Drisel, quiet, everyone sleeping.  She walked down the hallway, just wanting to get to her room here in this city.  Then the doors to the globe room behind her flew open, she spun around and saw the figure exiting the room.

 

“That was not very nice Rayne.” The voice said.  “You are making this hard and I spent so much time trying to make this as easy as possible for you.”

 

“Go away.” Rayne said as she walked backwards.

 

“No, I am not, did you not hear a word I said.”

 

“You will never have Alexander; he knows it is you Drania.” She yelled at the figure.

 

“Yes he does and that is all he ever needs to know.” The figure said as it kept walking towards her.  Rayne’s eyebrows frowned in confusion, what did it mean by that?

 

“You are not Drania...” Rayne said as the realization came to her mind.

 

“Very good Rayne.” The voice said sounding happy.  “And since I’m going to kill you, I guess I can show you who I am.”  The figured lean forward and Rayne’s eyes grew in astonishment when she saw the woman in front of her.

 

“I guess the game is over, that Human will know pain, he will suffer for the stunt he pulled, thinking he could cast a spell and all will be well.” The woman hissed at Rayne.  “From the first day I took you into my school you tainted everything the Druids touched, you and your human hands.”

 

“Rexil.” Rayne gritted through her teeth.

 

“Let Alexander think it was Drania, she will be stripped of her title, and put in jail.” Rexil told her.  “She will pay for your murder, Alexander will see to that but then he will be alone in this place, his one link dead, and then everyone will truly see just how Human he really is.”

 

“No!” Rayne shouted as she grabbed Rexil’s robe and sent another spell into her.  This one made her head spin but she shook it off as best she could and got to her feet.  She started running down the hall but then something slammed into her back and sent her crashing to the floor in pain.

 

“I can use magic too.” Rexil said sarcastically at her. 

 

Crying, Rayne pulled herself up and tried to start running again but her legs gave out from under her.  She fell to the floor and couldn’t get back up, her instincts told her to crawl and that’s what she did.

 

“Look at you, pathetic excuse for a Guardian, crawling on the floor.” Rexil said as she walked up behind her.  “Trying to get away with every last ounce of strength you have.”  Rayne ignored her and kept pulling herself along the floor as she tried to cry out for help.  “Aww you want help? Trying to get to a nice safe room Rayne? Here let me help.”  Rexil said as she bent down and picked Rayne up by her nightgown and threw her through a door.  The wood shattered everywhere as she went crashing through them.

 

Slowly opening her eyes she looked around trying to figure out where she was.  Her eyebrows frowned when she saw the four beds or was it two beds, she didn’t know the room was spinning, and she tried to sit up but a sharp pain shot right up her back.  When Rexil grabbed her by the hair and pulled her up, she gasped as the pain in her back intensified.   When Rexil took her by the arms and spun her around she got a better look at the room, a room she had become very familiar with.  As the realization of where she was, what room she was in hit her, her thoughts from dinner tangled with them.

 

“I will say Rayne you are strong, I did not think any Human could have lasted so long here.” Rexil told her.  “And now, look at you, even now you fight, hard to tell if it is the love you have for Alex, or the fact you do not want anyone else to have him.”

 

Rayne wasn’t paying attention to what Rexil was mumbling about; she was too busy focusing on the life Auras in the room.  There were many but it was easy for her to sort through most of them.  The brighter they were, the less time they had been away.  Maids, servants, people who had come and gone, but there were three aura’s barely noticeable in the room too.  It had been a while since they had been here and she didn’t even know if it was going to work.

 

“Are you listening to me?” Rexil said and Rayne looked at her having no idea what the woman had said before.

 

“Bring forth these life forms, return to your aura.” Rayne said as she looked up at Rexil.

 

“What?” The woman said confused.

 

“Bring forth these life forms, return to your aura.” Rayne said again and a breeze picked up in the room.  The curtains started blowing and even lightning crashed down around them.

 

“What did you do!?” Rexil shouted as the wind picked up.

 

“Bring forth these life forms.” Rayne said as her whole body felt like it would collapse had it not been for Rexil holding her up but she pushed through it, she needed to be strong for the spell to work, if it could.  “Return to your aura.”  Rexil grabbed Rayne by the front of her gown and shook her

 

“Tell me what you are doing you wretched little brat!” Rexil shouted as she shook Rayne again.  Her head fell forwards as she passed out but she quickly came too again.  “You were supposed to die!”

 

“Bring forth these..” But Rayne was interrupted as Rexil sent her flying across the room and she crashed into the long table that sat in front of the couch.  The spell got stronger and then flashes of light started exploding around the room.

 

“Human!!” Rexil shouted at Rayne in anger, she ruined everything, it was suppose to end tonight but now, now she had to leave, Rayne did something and she was not sticking around to find out what it was. 

 

As Rexil disappeared a loud banging sound exploded into the room and then silence, as Rayne laid motionless on the floor, broken pieces table all around her.

 

“What the hell was that?” Howie said looking around.

 

“Where are we?” Brian asked.

 

“I’ve seen this place before.” Kevin said looking around and then he looked at his friends.  “Are we...”

 

“No...” Brian said shaking his head.  “We can’t be.” He said as he looked around the room in front of him.

 

“Who’s that?” Kevin asked as he pointed to the woman on the floor.  Slowly he walked over and turned the woman onto her back.

 

“Rayne!” All three guys shouted when they saw her.

 

“We’re back in Pixcadia?” Howie asked.

 

“What the hell is going on?” A female voice said from behind them, all three guys turned around.

 

“Where are we?” Another woman asked.

 

“He brought the girls this time.” Howie said with a smile when he saw his wife Leigh.

 

“He brought all of us?” Brian asked as the girls started walking towards them.

 

“Where are we Brian?” Leigh-Anne asked her husband.

 

“Remember that dream I said I had after the accident?” Brian asked.

 

“Yeah” Leigh-Anne nodded.

 

“It’s not a dream?” Brian half asked half told her wondering what she would say, but she didn’t say anything, she just stared at him.

 

“Kevin who is that?” His wife asked as she looked at the girl on the ground.

 

“Brian do you, I mean can you?” Kevin asked.

 

“I dunno.” Brian said as he knelt down beside her.  But they were both interrupted from a commotion in the hallway.

 

“What’s that?” Leigh B, Howie’s wife asked.  Just then the door opened and a bunch of guards came running in.

 

“Stay back!” They shouted as they stuck out their swords at the group.  The wives started screaming and instantly clung to their husbands.

 

“Kevin what the hell is going on?” Kristin asked him as they were moved to the back of the room.

 

“We’re friends of King Alexander.” Kevin said to one of soldiers.

 

“King What?!” All three girls shouted at him same time as they looked at Kevin.

 

“Stay back!” The man shouted at them again as he looked back at Rayne, then to them holding his sword firm.

 

            “Rayne!” An Elvaan shouted as he came into the room and saw her on the ground.  He ran to her kneeling down beside her.  “Rayne?” He said as he gently touched her face.

 

“Uhh, who’s that?” Howie asked wondering why this Elvaan showed so much concern for Rayne.

 

“Priest! I need a Priest now!” The Elvaan shouted frantically. “How did Drania get out of the city, she wasn’t allowed to leave the fucking city!” The Elvaan shouted to his men.

 

            “What the..” Kevin said speechless as the voice struck a familiar nerve.

 

“Kevin.” Brian said tugging on his cousin’s sleeve but Kevin couldn’t look away from the Elvaan.

 

“Your Highness we need to get her to the Springs right away.” The Priest told him.

 

“Did he just call that Elvaan your Highness?” Howie whispered.

 

“Go, go.” The Elvaan said quickly motioning for them to hurry.

 

“Sir what do we do with them?” A guard asked.

 

“With who?” Aj asked confused as he looked at his solider.  The man pointed to the back of the room.  He froze in spot when he saw the group of people standing there staring at him.

 

“How…” Aj couldn’t say anything as he looked at his friends.

 

“Alex?” Kevin said as his eyebrows fell with confusion.

 

“What?” Howie said looking at Kevin.  “Where?” He asked looking around.

 

“I’m right here dumbass.” Aj said as Howie looked at him.

 

“You’re not Alex, you’re an Elvaan.” Howie said shaking his head.

 

“I am now.” Aj told him and Howie’s jaw dropped.

 

“Alex.” Kevin said and it was all he could say.

 

“I know a little trippy but it’s me.” Aj said with a light smile.

 

“How did it happen?” Howie asked.

 

“What the hell is going on?” Leigh B said and it startled everyone. “Who is that why are you calling him Alex?”

 

“Because it’s me Leigh.” Aj said to her.

 

“But you’re dead.” She told him.  “You died in the accident.”

 

“Accident?” Aj said a little confused.  “Wait how the hell did you guys get here?”

 

“Dunno.” Kevin said “We were all going out to dinner and then we were here.” He told Aj.  “What happened to Rayne?”

 

“Rayne.” Aj said as he remembered almost forgetting from the shock of his friends showing up.  “I gotta go to the Springs.”

 

“We’ll come with you.” Kevin said.

 

“I want to know what is going on.” Leigh B said as Aj headed to the door.

 

“We’ll explain there.” Kevin said to her as he took Kristin by the hand.

 

 

Chapter 13 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                           Volume II

 

                                                       Chapter 13

 

 

            Nick fell to the ground and grunted out in pain.  He could feel the hot air on his face but his bones were cold as ice and he pulled his robe around him.  Slowly he pulled himself against a large rock sitting in the middle of the gorge.  A whimper of pain escaped his lips every time he breathed and all he could think about was Nalia.  Wondering if she was ok, wondering if he hurt her.  He didn’t know how long he had been walking for but he stopped and fell asleep once.  When he woke the sun was gone and the stars were out.

 

“Nickolas.” The voice returned and he quickly looked around.  “Nickolas you must prepare, it comes.”

 

Nick sat up and looked around; he saw nothing coming towards him. Slowly he leaned around the rock and looked; he couldn’t see anything coming from that way either.  As he turned back around something caught his eye, something hiding behind a thick brush up against the gorge wall.  He sent out a shadow bolt right at the bush and a scream was heard as someone came running out from behind it.  It stumbled a couple of feet and Nick sent another bolt at it and it slumped to the ground.  As quickly as he could he got up and walked over towards the body.  Kneeling down he rolled it over but what he saw took his breath away.

 

“Nali?” He choked out. “Oh god Nalia, what did I do.”

 

She started coughing and Nick started breathing as he reached under her and helped her sit up.  With what little strength he had, he picked her up and carried her over to the rock he was at before.

 

“Baby are you ok?” He asked as he sat her up.

 

“Nick?” She asked a little confused.

 

“I’m sorry, I’m so sorry I didn’t know it was you, Pixca said something was coming and I saw you hiding behind the bush.”  He told her talking a mile a minute.

 

“I am alright.” She said as she touched her side.

 

“Are you sure?” He asked.

 

“Yes Nick I am fine.” She replied with a light smile.

 

“You followed me.” He said.

 

“Yes.” She nodded.  “You think I was just going to leave you out here after how you were when you left besides you have no idea where you are going.”

 

“Did I hurt you?” He asked.  “Back in the cave.”

 

“Just a bump on the head, nothing new.” She lightly smiled.  “Come, we need to find shelter and rest, you have been walking a long time.”

 

“No Nali I need to keep going.” He told her.

 

“Nick.” She said in slight protest.  He was about to say something when the ground shaking lightly took their attention.

 

            “What was that?” Nick asked looking around.

 

“Perhaps one of the Volcano’s are erupting we are close.” She told him.  Then there was another shake and another.

 

“Is it getting closer?” Nick asked.  When there was another ground shake Nick slowly turned to his left and looked behind the rock, he quickly spun back around. “Oh shit, oh shit.”

 

“What?” Nalia asked shocked.  “What is it?” She asked as she spun around and looked.  Her eyes went wide as she looked up at the giant molting rock creature.

 

“Don’t move Nali.” Nick said as it stood in front of them.

 

“Take it Nickolas.” The voice said.  “It is yours his energy is yours, take it.”  The voice distracted him; Nick looked down at the ground just as the creature lifted his leg to take another step.

 

“Move!” Nalia shouted as she pushed Nick away and then fell back as the giant stone and lava foot came crashing down.  The movement was enough to catch the creature’s eye and it looked down at Nalia.  She scooted back as far as she could as the creature looked at her.

 

“Nali?” Nick said as he rolled over, the confusion from what just happened clearing away.  He quickly sat up when he saw her pinned against the gorge wall the giant beast looking right at her.

 

“HEY!” Nick screamed as loud as he could as he used the wall to help himself up.  “Hey!” He shouted again and it distracted the creature away from Nalia.  Before Nick could react the creature picked him up in his rock and lava hands.

 

“Nick!!” Nalia screamed as she watched in horror.

 

Nick grunted in pain as the creature squeezed his torso, he wasn’t sure if it was the creature’s strength or the lava that flowed like muscles through its body.  As pain rushed through him it set it off again, the Warlock that wanted and needed to take life had found life but it wasn’t life like his or Nalia’s, this life was evil, pure evil and he wanted it.  He could feel something else too, more of them, lots of them.  He could sense other demons different demons, some how they were all connected. 

 

Closing his eyes his body absorbed it all, the pain, the energy and the life.  When Nick opened his eyes again the monster looked at the little man in his hands confused.  He felt it, his life being sucked away by this small thing.  It tried to throw Nick to the ground but it could barely raise its arm, and it stumbled backwards a few steps.  The giant creature crashed to the ground with a loud rumbling scream and Nick went down with it.

 

“Oh no.” Nalia whispered as she watched them fall in horror.  She quickly got up and ran over to where they were.  Nalia stopped when she saw Nick standing up.  When he fell to his knees she ran up to him.

 

“I have shown you what you need now you must go back Nickolas, something is wrong, I can not feel Rayne, she is gone.” The voice whispered and he could feel her pain, her sadness.

 

“What?” Nick said back trying to push away his pain. “Nali?” He said when he felt someone grab him.

 

“Come back to the rock.”  She told him and he closed his eyes as the sound of her voice sent a piercing pain through his head, he was sure it wasn’t her but what he had just done that left the splitting headache.  Carefully she helped him sit down and he gently laid his head back.

 

“Nali are you ok, did it hurt you?” He asked as he looked at her but she didn’t say anything back, she just stared.  “Nalia?” Nick said looking at her.

 

“I...I am fine, he did not touch me.” She said as she looked away.  “You are hurt.” She said looking at the cut on his side.

 

“Its fine, it’ll go away soon.” Nick told her.

 

“What was that thing?” She asked.

 

“I’m not sure but there are more of them.” He said.

 

“How do you know?” She asked.

 

“I could feel them, when I was draining it, they’re all linked.” He told her.  “There’s more, hundreds more.”

 

“We can not take a hundred of those Nick.” She said shocked.

 

“I know.” He said.  “The Dwarves, I think you’re right, they did something in that place. She’s in there Nalia, Pixca she’s in Ashmourn, or whatever it is now.”

 

“Do you think that is how Ignis started?” She asked.  “The Dwarfs?”

 

“I hope not.” Nick said as he reached out for her.  Nalia helped him stand up and he looked around.  “We need to get back now.”

 

“Well it is a long walk back.” She said.

 

“I know.” He replied as he continued to look, making sure no more of those things showed up.

 

“What is it, we are so close and now you want to go back?” She asked him.  He looked down at her not sure if he should lie for now.

 

“I heard Pixca before you pulled me back to the rock, she told me to go back.” Nick said.

 

“What why? Why would she tell you to go back after making you come all this way?” She asked him.

 

“She said.” He stopped.

 

“She said what Nick, what did she say?”

 

“Remember I told you she could still feel us, we’re still linked to her.” He said as she nodded.  “Well she told me we had to go back because she, she couldn’t feel Rayne anymore, something’s wrong.”

 

“What do you mean?” Nalia asked.

 

“I mean Pixca…Pixca said Rayne is gone.” Nick said as he took her hand.

 

“Gone?” Nalia said as her eyes filled with tears. “If Rayne is dead then I must go back Nick.” She said as a tear fell down her face.

 

“We’ll go back.” He said as he pulled her into his arms. “We’ll go back.”

 

 

 

Aj, Kevin, and the others all ran into the Healing Springs.  There was already a crowd of people standing around the cave door and when one turned around and saw Aj, they all started to turn around.  They walked across the small open lawn towards the door when Kel’Ryn came out of the cave.

 

“Kel’ Ryn what are you doing here?” Aj asked a little stunned to see the Bishop of the Priest Covenant away from Pera.

 

“I was in town today meeting some friends; one of the Priests here retrieved me.” He said with a very soft spoken voice.  He was old, his hair was long and silver and he didn’t wear the jewelry or beads that most of the Elvaans did.

 

“How is she can I see her?” Aj asked as he started walking towards the cave opening.  Kel’Ryn reached out his hand and stopped Aj by the arm.  He looked at the Bishop confused.

 

“King Alexander.” He said as Aj turned to look at him.  “I am sorry.”  Aj shook his head not wanting to hear the words.  “Queen Rayne has passed.”

 

“What?” Kevin said breathless.

 

“No” Aj said shaking his head.

 

“I know this will be hard to except it is why the Priest came and asked me.” He told Aj but Aj didn’t say anything he stood there shaking his head.

 

“What about Raising her?” Brian asked as he walked up to Kel’Ryn.  The Priest looked at Brian shocked to see him there.

 

“They tried all the way down here.” Kel’ Ryn told them.  “And even I tried.”

 

“No” Aj whimpered and everyone looked at him.

 

“Alex.” Kevin said as he walked up to his friend but Aj turned away and walked to her cave.

 

People moved out of the way for him, some crying, some not but they were all upset over the news they had just heard.  He didn’t look at any of them as he walked to the cave door. 

 

“Alex” Kevin said sadly as Aj walked over to her side.  He started crying as he knelt down beside the pool of water, putting his arms in he reached under her arms and pulled her out.

 

“You’re Majesty.” Kel’Ryn said in protest.

 

“Alex.” Kevin spoke as he stepped in front of Kel’Ryn.

 

“Shut up!” He yelled at them, he looked back down at her as he laid her on the ground.  Without hesitation he started CPR.

 

“King Alexander I must ask that you stop this immediately.” Kel’Ryn said again in protest.  He didn’t know what Aj was doing but the guys did and they stopped him from taking her away from Aj.  But when he saw Alex lift his hand and electrical sparks lit up his fingers Kel’Ryn stopped moving, even the guys became confused at this point.

 

Placing his hand over her heart he released a small amount of his lightning spell into her and then started CPR again.  Kevin looked at Brian, they kind of understood what he was trying too do but they knew it was hopeless.  They looked at each other fighting with their eyes on who was going to stop him.  As they heard the crackling of another shock, they both sighed and looked at him.

 

“Alex stop.” Kevin said as Aj leaned down for another round of CPR but before he could start Rayne gasped for air and started coughing.

 

“Praise Pixca” Kel’Ryn said breathless.  They looked at Aj who sat there staring at her.  “Get her back into the water.” Kel’Ryn told Kevin as he started to pull him over to Rayne and Aj.  Kevin helped the Priest pick Rayne up and lay her back into the pool of water.   

 

As Kel’Ryn flashed a spell over her Kevin turned and looked at Aj.  He was still sitting on the ground Howie and Brian around him.  He then looked at the three girls, they had been crying, now they just stood there stunned.  Standing up he walked back over to Aj and knelt down in front of him.

 

“Alex?” Kevin said as Aj looked up at him.

 

“I…I didn’t think it would work, I just, I had to try.” He said as he started crying again.

 

 

 

           

 

 

 

Chapter 14 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                           Volume II

 

                                                       Chapter 14

 

Aj sat on the stone bench outside of Rayne’s cave.  It was now morning and he hadn’t moved from that spot since Kevin walked him out here after he revived Rayne.  He took a deep breath and put his head in his hands, sighing as he thought back to that moment.  His eyes got heavy and he found himself drifting to sleep a little.

 

“Alex?” He heard Kevin say and he looked up, opening his eyes wider waking himself.

 

“Hey” He yawned.

 

“Wasn’t sure if that was you.” Kevin said with a light smile.  Aj lightly laughed as his friend sat down beside him.  “How’s she doing?” He asked.

 

“Alive, out cold but alive.” Aj said as he looked at the flowers across from him.

 

“Have you slept at all?” Kevin asked.

 

“No and don’t plan too” Aj said.

 

“You need sleep man.” Kevin said as Aj looked at him.

 

“I need to find Drania and I need to end this.” He said with a hint of anger.

 

“What happened?” Kevin asked.

 

“Not a hundred percent on that.” Aj said as he sat back.  “Jaina says she was outside of Rayne’s room and she heard her scream, she wasn’t sure if she had just had a nightmare so she stood at the door for a minute.” Aj told him.  “Jaina said she was screaming at someone but when she opened the door there was nothing there and then Rayne conjured her Grasp spell and threw it at nothing.”

 

“Nothing?” Kevin said shocked.

 

Aj nodded his head.  “Then when Jaina called to her, she yelled at Jaina for help and took off down the hall, she said she tried to go after her but by the time she reached her Rayne was in the globe room.”

 

“Did Jaina chase her to Winnol?” Kevin asked.

 

“No, that’s the thing, Jaina said she went in there but the globe was shut off on the Winnol side, when I got to Sarila I had to teleport over and turn it back on.” Aj told him.  “That’s when I heard the crashing sound and the light show in the room from down the hall.”

 

“So what was she running from?” He asked.

 

“Drania’s been making her see things with this spell; usually it’s been Drania and me together.” Aj said as Kevin nodded.

 

            “Oh” He frowned.

 

            “She didn’t really believe it, it’s why she told me, she knew something was wrong, but this was new, she had never ran down halls running from nothing.”  Aj said as he rubbed his eyes.  “The servants in Winnol said she was screaming for help, crawling on the floor, and then just picked herself up and threw herself into the door.”

 

            “Threw herself?” Kevin said stunned.

 

            “I don’t know.” Aj said sadly.  “It scares me to think Drania can mess with her head that much that she would be able to get Rayne to do that to herself.”

 

“If there’s anything I can do.” Kevin said.

 

“Find Nick before I do.” Aj said as he looked at him.  “I wasn’t with Rayne because I was looking for his ass.  If I was there with her maybe I could have done something Kevin.” Aj said frustrated. 

 

“I’m sorry man.” Kevin said with a frown.

 

“This is not what I wanted to be doing today.” Aj said with a sigh.

 

“What do you mean?” Kevin asked.

 

“I made plans to take Rayne out to Pera for week, she hadn’t been there in a while and it’s a very relaxing place.” He told him.

 

“Where is it?” Kevin asked.

 

“Southern Winnol, warm down there too, kind of reminds me of the Caribbean.” Aj smiled.

 

“Nice.” Kevin nodded.  “Seemed like a nice getaway.”

 

“Yeah” Aj said as he looked up.

 

“So what was so special about today?” He asked.

 

“I was going to ask to her to marry me.” Aj said as he looked down.

 

“Really?” Kevin said with a light smile.  Then he thought about everything that had happened.  “Damn man.”  Aj couldn’t help but lightly chuckle.  The sound of someone coming out the cave made both men sit up straight.

 

“Alexander we are moving her over to the resting rooms.” Kel’Ryn said as Aj and Kevin stood up.

 

“Ok” Aj nodded and then the Elvaan walked away into a doorway across the lawn.

 

“What are the resting rooms?” Kevin asked.

 

“It’s where you go if you need to be in the water longer, can’t be in the water all day, so they move you there for breaks, and then move you back after an hour or so.” Aj explained.  As Kevin nodded understanding two Priests holding each end of a stretcher came out, on the stretcher was Rayne, her eyes closed her face peaceful looking.  Aj frowned when he saw her and didn’t take his eyes off her until she had disappeared into the room.

 

“Have you given any thought on how we got here?” Kevin asked hoping a change in topic would do him better.

 

“I dunno, everyone was still confused coming out of their rooms, when they started hearing the thunder claps and all that they went back into their rooms leaving it for the guards.”  Aj said as he rubbed his eyes again.  “I met up with the guards as they were coming up the stairs after the big bang.”

 

“So it was just Rayne in the room.” Kevin said.

 

“Yep” Aj sighed.  “She can’t bring you here; I’m not saying that selfishly, there is no Druid spell like that.” Aj told him.  “I even asked Halian and she said no.”

 

“How’s her Mom holding up?” Kevin asked.

 

“I hope she’s sleeping right now, she was sitting up with me for a while.” Aj told him.  “What about the girls, how are they taking everything?”

 

“Leigh-Anne and Leigh B are freaking out Leigh B more so than Leigh-Anne.” Kevin said.  “Kris is taking it in strides, I kind of told her about this place.”

 

“You did?” Aj said a little shocked.  “About Nick and me too?”

 

“Yeah.” He nodded.  “Don’t think she believed me, she probably thought it was my way of coping and just smiled and nodded.” He laughed.

 

“But now?”

 

“But now she’s seen this place, she’s seen Rayne and you, and is very grateful her husband isn’t crazy.” He smiled.  Aj laughed a little and rubbed his eyes.  “Go to bed, I’ll sit here if you want.” Kevin told him.

 

“Naw man, go back to Kris show her around or something.” Aj said as he yawned again.  “Nothing you say or do will move me from this spot.”

 

“Alright.” Kevin said with a light smile.  “Well since I have sometime to kill you wanna fill me in on why I need to be chasing Nick down in the first place?”  Aj looked at him and thought for a minute, then realized he hadn’t even told Kevin what had happened to Nick.

 

“Where do I start?” Aj said with a sigh.  He began to tell Kevin about what he found out happens to Warlocks, how they become like addicts, they end up withdrawing and secluding themselves.  Kevin did not like the sounds of it and Aj had to fend of twenty questions.  Then Kevin let him continue and explain why Nalia and Nick took off.

 

“I don’t understand why Nalia would let Nick talk her into taking off like that.” Aj sighed.  “They didn’t have to run, I’m sure something could have been worked out.”

 

“That’s Nick.” Kevin sighed.  “Brian’s been freaking out on where Nick is, I told him I would ask you, said you had enough to deal with.”

 

“I guess he’s not too happy to be back.” Aj said.

 

“Not sure, I think he is, glad to see you but we defiantly walked in on something so he’s gone into defense mode, especially with Leigh here.” Kevin said as they watched Kel’Ryn leave the Springs area.

 

“Well as long as he just chills, we’ll be fine.” Aj said as he stood up.  “I’m going to go check up on her.”

 

“Ok, I’m going to go back to the Castle get Kris, maybe go for that walk, I’ll swing by see if you’re still here.” Kevin said as he walked with Aj across the lawn.  They said their goodbyes and separated.

 

Aj walked into her room and saw her lying on the single bed.  A light silk blanket lied on top of her and her arms laid at her side.  She looked like she was sleeping, maybe she was he wasn’t sure, she was alive, breathing, and right now that’s all that mattered to him.  He stepped aside when the maiden left the room giving them their space and when she left he walked over to her bed, sitting down in the chair beside it.  As he sat back he looked at her, her curly hair already starting to dry and starting to curl again.

 

Leaning forward in his chair he watched her closely.  He stared at her repeating wake up in his head over and over.  Sighing because he knew better his eyes drifted down to her arm.  He reached up and gently brushed his finger tips down her arm, he frowned when he didn’t get the usual goose bumps. His eyes drifted further down, to her fingers, and his heart sank when he saw her bare ring finger.  Carefully he took it between his and lightly skimmed his thumb along where the rings would have been.

 

His jaw clenched as the sadness turned to anger, his breathing started to get heavy, and he gritted his teeth as he thought about Drania.  Gently he put her hand back down and then stood up.  Leaning down he softly kissed her on the lips and then he leaned down further.

 

“I love you.” He whispered into her ear. 

 

Aj stood up and looked at her one more time.  He had almost lost her again, no more.  Drania was going to pay for what she had done and he was going to be the one to make her.  With that thought Aj walked out of the room.

 

“Alexander” Avit said and Aj looked up quickly.  What he saw made him even more furious.  There in front of him was Avit, beside him, Nick and Nalia.

 

“Alex is she…” Nalia stopped and he saw the worry in her eyes.

 

“She’s going to be ok.” Aj said trying to stay calm.

 

“Pixca told me she was gone.” Nick said and Aj looked at him, stared at him.

 

“Pixca huh?” Aj scoffed.  “Pixca tell you guys to leave too?”

 

“Well kind of yeah.” Nick said looking to Nalia and then back to Aj.

 

“Do not be a fucking smart ass right now Nick!” Aj shouted and Nick looked at him stunned.  “Do you know where I was while Rayne was dying?” He yelled as he looked at both of them.

 

“Dying?” Nalia said.

 

“Yes Dying.” Aj snapped.  “Do you know where I was?” He asked again and they both shook there heads.  “I was out looking for you two.”

 

“Alex” Nick said sadly.

 

“I am so fucking angry at the both of you right now I don’t even give a shit why you look the way you do.” He said pointing to Nick.

 

“Alex what happened?” Nalia asked again.

 

“What happened? Hmm let’s see, Rayne was running down the halls from something only she could see apparently, she ran through two Palaces in nothing but her night robe and then threw herself through a door and then onto a coffee table.”

 

“What?” Nalia said stunned.

 

“She wasn’t breathing or anything when I got to her.” Aj said “And the Priests tried raising her all the way here.”

 

“Good thing it worked again.” Nick sighed.

 

“It didn’t.” Aj said almost growling at Nick.

 

“It didn’t? But…but you said she was going to be ok?” Nalia asked confused.

 

“She is, because I saved her.” Aj said.

 

“How?” Nick and Nalia asked.

 

“Did it the old fashion way, a little CPR and some electricity to the heart.” Aj said as he looked back at the entrance.

 

“Dude” Nick said impressed.

 

“I do not understand.” Nalia said confused.

 

“Don’t need to, point is she’s alive.” Aj said as he started walking again.

 

“Where are you going?” Nick asked.

 

“Going to go have a chat with Drania.” Aj said as he headed towards the Healing Springs entrance.

 

“Oh no you are not.” Avit said grabbing him by the arm and turning him around.

 

“Excuse me?” Aj said looking at him stunned.

 

“You are upset Alex.” Avit said.

 

“Damn right I am wouldn’t you be” He snapped at his General.  He then closed his eyes and realized what he said.  “I’m sorry.”

 

“It is alright.” Avit said with a light smile.  “Just stay here Alex please, do not get yourself into trouble. I will bring her here; you can ask her questions then.”  Aj looked at Avit and sighed.  “And besides what is she going to tell you that she already has, she denies everything.”

 

“Fine.” He said as his General let go of his arm.

 

“Thank you.” Avit said with a quick bow.  “I will be back.”

 

“Aj?” Nick said from behind him.

 

“What?” Aj yelled as he turned around.

 

“We’re sorry.” Nick said quietly.

 

“Oh that makes it all better.” Aj snapped.

 

“Look Aj I had to go alright.” Nick said as Aj stared at him lightly shaking his head. 

 

“Yeah and I expected something like this from you, but you.” He said pointing to Nalia.  “You should have known better than to let him talk to you into taking off.”

 

“Me?” Nalia said shocked.  “Better than him going alone.”

 

“Don’t bring her into this.” Nick said stepping in front of Nalia.

 

“Ooh looks like someone grew some balls with the new hair.” Aj snapped.

 

“Fuck you asshole.” Nick said as he reached for Aj.

 

“What did you just call me?” Aj yelled back as he reached for Nick and the two began to wrestle.

 

“Guys stop!” Nalia shouted as she tried to get between the two.  As they were grappling with each other Nick let go of Aj’s arm to get a better grip on his robe.  Aj’s arm snapped back hitting Nalia in the face and she fell to the ground.  Nick looked at Nalia, who was wiping the blood off her mouth, then he looked at Aj who looked at Nalia a little shocked, when Aj looked back at him he pulled back his arm punching Aj in the eye.

 

“Whoa  Whoa!” Kevin shouted as him and Howie pulled Nick back.  Brian ran over to Aj making sure he didn’t take another step.

 

“Get out!” Aj screamed as Nick broke away and went to Nalia.  “Get out of these Springs and get out of my City!” He shouted as Nick helped Nalia up.  The two didn’t say anything as they walked out of the Healing Springs.

 

“Alex are you alright?” Kevin asked as he walked up to Aj.

 

“I’m fine.” Aj said and then winced in pain as he touched his eye.

 

“Was that Nick?” Howie asked.

 

“Yes it was Nick, who the fuck do you think it was?” Aj asked angrily.

 

“Why does he have black hair?” Howie asked.

 

“How the hell should I know?” Aj sighed as he sat down.

 

 

 

Chapter 15 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                          Volume II

 

                                                       Chapter 15

 

 

 

“The people here are nice.” Kristin said as a couple walked past them and lightly bowed to Kevin.

 

“Yeah they are.” Kevin said as he smiled back to the couple.  “How are you holding up?”

 

“You’re here so I’m ok.” She said with a light smile.  “I know I should be freaking out but Nick and Alex, their ok and I just can’t get upset about that.  Everything you told me about this place to true and it’s becoming oddly familiar. “

 

“I had no idea about Alex doing the whole Elvaan thing.” Kevin told her.

 

“I’m still confused on that.” Kristin said.

 

“When they sent Alex and Nick away they put a spell on them so they would look like us, when we came back they left the spell active because well look around.” Kevin said as he waved his arm in the air quickly.

 

“Lessen the shock value?”

 

“Exactly.” Kevin said with a nod.  “Aj must have found a way to break his and looks like he did.”

 

“Why?” She asked.

 

“Before we left, Rayne was arrested by the Druids, by the Elder Druid.” Kevin told her.

 

“That Drania girl?” Kristin asked.

 

“No, Rex-something or other.” Kevin said thinking.  “She didn’t like Rayne, cause apparently the whole Druid thing is an Elvaan only kind of deal so when Rayne, a Human became a Druid it pissed this chick off and she made Rayne’s life hell, she brought Rayne up on some bogus charge, her trial was going on when we left.”

 

“So where is she now?” Kristin asked.

 

“Dunno, we left before we found out what happened.  Aj said he could handle that on his own, more of a King thing, and he knew we wanted to get home.  Now I’m wondering if he wanted us to get the hell out so he could break the spell.”  Kevin said as they headed down the road to the Healing Springs.  “But I’m guessing since Drania is now Elder Aj fired her.”

 

“So what happen with Nick and him this morning?” Kristin asked.

 

“Aj’s pissed off at Nick cause Nick went on a ‘find myself’ adventure with Nalia and while he was out looking for them all that stuff happen to Rayne and she almost died.” Kevin said remembering seeing her on the floor in the room.  “We walked in on Nalia trying to break up the too fighting with each other and some how she got hit, pissed off Nick and he hit Aj. Aj then kicked them out of the city.”

 

“Can he do that?” She asked.

 

“He’s King darlin’ he can do anything, pretty much.” Kevin said as they walked into the Healing Springs.  They looked around the lawn and didn’t see Aj on the benches.

 

“He really does love her doesn’t he?” Kristin said.  “Is that why you let him stay?”

 

“It was a lot of little things, he started taking responsibility for these people, helping them, guiding them, encouraging them, and being a leader.  I’ve seen that part of him before but only for a split second.” Kevin looked around the Springs seeing if Aj was there.  “He started to just, own up to stuff ya know. He started..”

 

“He started being a man.” Kristin said with a light smile.

 

“Yeah.” Kevin replied.  “To bad he had to go to another dimension to do it.” His wife started laughing.  “But to answer your question, yes he loves her, there’s something there between those two, you’ll see.  When she wakes up and they start going at each other, you’ll see.”  Kristin smiled as she followed her husbands gaze as he looked around at the couple of Elvaans standing by a cave.

 

“Maybe he finally took a nap?” Kristin said with a light laugh.

 

“Maybe, I gotta look at the eyes, his eyes are the same, otherwise I can’t tell if it’s really him, let me check that room, if she’s not there they moved her back to the pools.” Kevin said as he headed to the resting room door.  He looked back to check and see if his wife came with or not and she was following behind him.  They walked into the cave and as their eyes adjusted from the sun to the dark they saw someone standing over Rayne.

 

“Alex?” Kevin said still not familiar with his new look.  The man jumped and spun around.  Kevin didn’t recognize him at all.

 

“Oh, are you a Priest?” He asked.  The man still didn’t say anything and he began to fidget behind his back.  Kevin looked behind him and saw Rayne, then looked at the Elvaan again.  “Who are you?” Kevin asked as he stepped forward.  The man lunged at Kevin and Kristin shouted in fright.  Kevin grabbed the man as he tried to run out of the room and slammed him against the wall.

 

“What did you do?” He yelled at the Elvaan.  “Are you with Drania?”

 

“Drania...yes, yes I’m with Drania.” The man said quickly.

 

“Larsung?” A voice said from beside Kevin and he looked, still holding the Elvaan against the wall, he saw Avit standing in the doorway with Kristin.

 

“He said he’s with Drania.” Kevin said.

 

“He is one of the High Druids.” Avit said as he stared at him.  “What were you doing in here?”  Larsung kept his mouth shut and a couple of guards came running in.  They took him from Kevin and brought him over to Avit.

 

“Take him to the jails, I will be there shortly, and do not let King Alexander see him.” Avit told them and they nodded.

 

“My wife and I came in, we were looking for Alex, we saw him standing over Rayne, I think he had something on him.”  Kevin said to Avit as he walked over to him.

 

“I pray he did not do anything.” Avit sighed as he looked at Rayne.  “I will get a Priest to check.” Avit said as he looked back to Kevin. “It does explain how Drania was able to get to her in Sarila when she herself was in Winnol.”

 

“Has Drania said anything new?” Kevin asked as they walked out of the room.

 

“No, she still denies everything, and I know Alex is angry but the state Drania is in right now, I do not think she can do much of anything.” Avit said as Kevin stopped walking.

 

“What do you mean?” He asked.

 

“Drania was to stay in her house while Rayne went to Sarila; my guards told me that Drania did not leave her house.  Last night I took her to jail she has not ate a single thing, she has not spoke a word, and I tried questioning her again this morning like I told Alex I would but she would not talk, I thought perhaps something else was going on.”  Avit explained to them.  “Now with Larsung saying he is with Drania I guess I was wrong.”

 

“Maybe that’s what she planned on, maybe she didn’t plan on Larsung getting caught in there.” Kevin said.

 

“Perhaps.” Avit said with a nod.

 

 

 

 

 

Aj slept in his bed the towel he had wrapped around his waist from the bath he took barely covered him.  He was just going to lie down for a second before getting dressed and going back down to the Healing Springs but his eyes won the battle.  So here he laid, sleeping until the sound of someone at his door woke him.

 

Slowly and sheepishly he crawled out of the bed and grabbed his robe that hung off the dresser door.  Wrapping it around him and tying the belt up, he walked over to the door and opened it.  There was no one there and he was about to close it when he heard a whimpering sound.  Looking down he saw Paq sitting in front of him.

 

“Paq?” He said confused as he knelt down in front of her.  “Rayne…” Aj said as he quickly stood up.  He closed the door to his room and started to run down the hall, the wolf followed behind him as he ran out of the Castle.  When he came to the street the Healing Springs were on, Paq stopped him and wouldn’t let him go that way.

 

He ignored her and started jogging down the road when the wolf jumped in front of him and growled.  Aj looked at her confused and he stopped, watching her.  Paq calmed down and started spinning in circles, then she walked to Aj’s left and started heading back up the road to where they just were.

 

Confused but knowing the wolf wanted him to follow her he started heading back and then turned right heading down the same street that led to the Castle.  They headed south down the road, and kept walking until they reached the park.  Aj knew this park; in the back is where the Druid Building was.  He looked at Paq and wanted to know more on why she wanted him to follow her here. 

 

She walked down the path and led him right to the building.  He noticed as they walked inside there was no one around and now that he thought about it he saw no one in the city, no people, no guards, nothing.  Following her down the hall she led him to the Council room.  Slowly he opened the doors and saw the room he had ripped apart with his wind spell, the room where Rayne had been put on trial.  He looked around at the seating scattered across the room, and then he looked up at the podium and saw Rayne lying on a bed, just like the one in the resting room.

 

Quickly he ran to her wondering why she was here.  He looked her over and didn’t see anything wrong.  Aj looked around and saw no one in the room and then he looked down and saw Paq walking across the floor.  The wolf walked over to the head table and started growling.  He looked at the table trying to see what the wolf was growling at, then as her growling turned into barks and howls she arched her back.  She snarled and showed her teeth and Aj looked back at the table as a figure started coming clear.  His eyebrows fell in confusion as he stared at it, slowly the robe came into focus, the hands came into focus, and then…

 

“Alex” Kevin said and Aj opened his eyes.  “Alex wake up”

 

“Rayne?” Aj said confused looking around, wondering where she went, wondering why he was back in his bed.  “Was it a dream?” He asked himself.

 

“What?” Kevin said and Aj looked back up at him.

 

“Nothing” He said shaking his head and shaking out the cobwebs.

 

“Anyways get up there’s news on Drania.” Kevin told him.

 

“What, what news?” Aj quickly said as the name snapped him awake.  Kevin told him what had happened down at the Springs, how him and Kristin were looking for Aj and what they found in the resting room.

 

“Larsung, of course that fucking brown noser.” Aj said as he clenched his fist.

 

“Avit thinks that’s how they got to her in Sarila, Drania couldn’t leave.”

 

“But he could.” Aj said as it all fell into place.  “Where is he now?”

 

“Down in the jails with Avit.” Kevin said as Aj sat up and grabbed his robe.

 

“Dude” Kevin said as he spun around covering his eyes.

 

“Did the Priests find anything?” Aj asked as he clipped the last button of his robe closed, ignoring Kevin’s little freak out.

 

“No, they said she’s ok, well nothing new.” Kevin said as he looked at his friend.  “Avit said he would search him when they got down to the jail.”

 

They walked down the hallway and then down the large staircase.  Kevin was talking but Aj wasn’t hearing a word of it, his mind still focused on his dream.  What a weird dream it was too. 

 

“Hey” Kevin said and Aj looked up.  “Are you still here?” He asked.

 

“Yeah, sorry I had a weird ass dream.” Aj said lightly shaking his head.

 

“Alex!” Someone shouted and they spun around and saw Halian running towards them.  “What is this about Larsung?” She asked with worry.

 

“She’s fine, he didn’t hurt her, I’m going down now to find out more.” Aj told her.

 

“I’m coming with you.” She said.

 

“Hali” Aj said in slight protest.

 

“Alex I was Queen before you were even born, I can handle myself in a jail.” She said and lightly smiled at him.  “And if I remember correctly it was I that snuck one of your own spies into this very jail…” She said looking at him.  Both Kevin and Aj lightly laughed remembering.

 

“Ok let’s go.” Aj said with a light sigh.

 

“Where’s Kris?” Aj asked as they made their way down the stone steps.

 

“She’s with the others; she had enough excitement for one night.” Kevin said with a small smile.

 

“I am not apart of this, I swear to you Avit I would never hurt Queen Rayne, she is my friend.” They heard Drania say as they walked down the hall.

 

“Come now Drania stop this we have been caught.” They heard Larsung say as they stopped outside of the cell door.

 

“Larsung shut up!” Drania yelled at him.  “Why are you doing this, why are you telling them these lies.”

 

“Because it is the truth, you sent me to Sarila because you could not leave.” Larsung said.

 

“No, No I did not, I was at home I never saw you that day.” Drania pleaded.

 

Aj took a deep breath and then walked into the cell room; everyone stopped talking and looked at him.  When he looked at Drania she looked away, he could tell by her eyes she had been crying.  He then looked at Larsung, he was looking at Drania.

 

“Tell me why you two did this.” Aj said as calmly as he could.

 

“I did nothing.” Drania said her face stone cold.

 

“She did this because she wanted you. She wanted you and she knew the only way that would happen was to kill Queen Rayne.” Larsung told him.  “And I did it because if she got caught I would be next in line for Elder.”

 

“But you got caught.” Aj told him.

 

“Only because she did not finish the job in Winnol.” Larsung said looking at her.

 

“I did no such thing.” Drania said her voice strained and tired.

 

“Is that why you went into the resting rooms?” Aj said as he stepped towards Larsung.  “To finish the job?” He said angrily as he got in Larsung’s face.  Avit walked up to them and pulled Aj away.

           

“Drania why do you still deny it?” Avit asked her.

 

“I am innocent, I do not know why Larsung lies but he is, I would never hurt Queen Rayne nor do I want King Alexander.”  She said as she looked away.  “All I can do is sit here and hope that the truth will come out.”

 

“If it is not you than who?” Aj asked.

 

“Perhaps Larsung, since he is so eager to convict me.” Drania said looking at him.  “Perhaps he set me up and since he got caught is placing the blame on me as well.”

 

“All the while you stay completely innocent, oh well done Drania.” Larsung said as he scoffed at her.

 

“Well either way you’re both sitting in here longer.” Aj said as he turned.

 

“For how long?” Drania asked her tone somewhat demanding.

 

“Until Rayne wakes up and tells us what happened.” Aj said and then he left the cell.

 

Everyone including Avit followed him.  He stopped in the hallway and waited for Avit to lock the door, then they all walked around the corner Aj stopping and turning around.

 

“What did you find on him?” Aj asked.

 

“This” Avit said as he handed him a bottle of green mist.

 

“What is it?” Kevin asked.

 

“Poison” Avit said his eyes locking on Aj.  His head snapped up and he looked at his General.  In a flash the anger went through him and he headed back towards the cell.  Halian, Kevin and Avit stopped him and it took the three of them to hold him back.

 

“Let me go, I’m going to shove this down his throat.” Aj growled.

 

“Alex” Kevin said as he pushed Aj up against the wall.

 

“I’m going to kill him Kevin, I’m going to fucking kill him.” Aj snapped.

 

“No you’re not.” Kevin replied.  “You’re going to stay here and calm down.  Then we’re going to go see Rayne.”  Aj stared at him; his nostrils would flare as he breathed out heavily the anger wanting to be let out.  He looked away and closed his eyes trying to calm himself.

 

“Take this.” Aj said as he held out his hand to Avit.  His General took the small bottle from him and as he did Kevin let him go.

 

“Let’s go.” Kevin said as he put his hand on Aj’s shoulder.

 

 

 

Chapter 16 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                          Volume II

 

                                                      Chapter 16

 

            Nalia closed the drawer to her dresser after pulling out a couple of under shirts.  She turned around and looked at Nick as he pulled out a long heavy thick robe.  Since Alex kicked them out of Winnol they went back to Hevi, to pack for the trip to Tokia.  They wanted to know what had happened in Ashmourn and Augem was the first place to start asking questions.  She wondered what Rossi would say about Nick’s new look.  Nalia had no doubt he was already worried sick about Nick, not being able to leave because of Blizzard seasons.  So many people disappear and get sick during this time.

 

            “How’s your lip?” Nick asked her as he walked over to her.

 

            “Fine” She said with a light smile as she put the shirts into her backpack.  He placed his fingers under her chin and titled her head gently to the side looking at the cut and bruise on her lip.

 

            “Well I hope his eye isn’t.” Nick said as he leaned down and gently kissed her.

 

“I am sure he will cool down once Rayne wakes up.” Nalia said as closed the pack.

 

“I don’t care; he had no right to hit you.” Nick said.

 

“Nick it was an accident.” Nalia told him.  “Can you not tell how upset he is over what happened to her?”

 

“Doesn’t give him the right to take it out on us.” Nick said as he walked over to the other side of the bed.

 

“He is right in a way.” Nalia said and Nick looked at her.  “Had we not taken off, he would have been there and perhaps he could have stopped her from running out of the room all together.”

 

“I had to go.” Nick said as he looked away and grabbed his backpack.

 

“And now, now that your friends are here do you not want to visit with them?” Nalia asked.

 

“I have more important things to worry about.” Nick told her.  “It seems like I’m the only one still trying to fine Pixca.”

 

“And what am I doing?” Nalia asked him.

 

“I didn’t mean you.” Nick said as he walked over to the bedroom door.  “I’ll have time to chit chat and catch up later right now; I’m going to Tokia.  Besides this will give Aj the time he needs to cool down.” He said as he opened the door.  “Are you coming with?”

She stared at him for a moment, not sure if this attitude was him trying to find out what happened to Pixca, or was this a piece of the Warlock, it was hard to tell now, both sides of him seem to be blurring together.  Picking up her backpack she slung it over her shoulder and picked up her heavy robe off the bed.  She walked over to the door and out into the hallway where she waited for him to close up the room.

 

“Do you want to see your Mom first?” Nick asked.

 

“She’s busy in meetings, I told Bussa to let her know.” Nalia said as they walked down the hall.

 

“Is she mad at me?” Nick asked.

 

“Yes” Nalia said as she looked at him.  “But she is just as mad at me.”

 

“I’m sorry.” Nick frowned. 

 

“No need.” Nalia said.  “She does not understand.” She told him as she took his hand.

 

Within minutes they left the Hevi Palace and were now in the Dwarf Keep of Augem.  As the smoke cleared away the doors to the Globe room opened and a small Dwarf in plate armor walked in.

 

“Aye Prince Nickolas.” The man said with a bow.  “King Rossi will be thrilled to see ya.”

 

“Where is he?” Nick asked as him and Nalia followed the dwarf out of the room.

 

“He be in his living quarters.” The guard pointed down the hall.

 

“Thanks.” Nick said as him and Nalia continued walking.

 

The couple walked hand in hand down the halls of the Keep.  It was hard to believe the Castle was built into a mountain; a lot of the homes were built into the mountain side.  Nick started to wonder if that’s what they were doing in Ashmourn.  When they walked into the living room area they saw Rossi, his wife Mela, and their son Dolun.

 

“Aye Nickolas” Rossi said with a bright smile as he got up out of his chair.  “I hear ye be causin some trouble down in Kalica.” Rossi said.  “And by thee looks of ya, they be right.”

 

“Nickolas, what happened to ye hair.” Mela as she reached up to hug him.

 

“I dunno it kind of just happened.” Nick said as he bent down and hugged her back.

 

“So, tell me, what brings ye out to the cold?” Rossi asked as he walked Nick over to the chairs.  “What is all this commotion I hear coming from Kalica.”

 

“I think I found Pixca, or she found me.” Nick told him.

 

“What?” Rossi said a little shocked. 

 

“What’s in Ashmourn Rossi?” Nick asked getting straight to the point.

 

“Ashmourn.” Rossi said breathless, he then looked at Nalia.  “And what lies have ye been tellin’ him missy?” Rossi said as he looked at her.

 

“She didn’t lie about anything Rossi, she told me what she knows happened.” Nick told him.  “Now you tell me what you know.”

 

“There was an accident that is all I know.” Rossi said but Nick got the look he gave Mela.

 

“Rossi, I don’t care what happened a thousands years ago, I only want to find Pixca and what ever happened in that place has something to do with her being missing.”  Nick said.

 

“Aye Nickolas you betta not be sayin what I think ye sayin?” Rossi said as he locked his eyes onto Nick.

 

“Which is?” Nick asked.

 

“Ye think we had something to do with Ignis don’tcha?” He said as he pointed his finger at Nick.  “That thee Dwarves are responsible for Pixca going missing?”

 

“I didn’t say that, I’m just asking what you know happened there.” He asked.

 

“Aye and I told ye, an accident.” Rossi said.  “And I will not have ya come in here and accuse us.”

 

“I’m not but with you getting all defensive it makes me wonder if you’re hiding something.” Nick said as Rossi got up out of his chair. 

 

“I be hidin nothing” Rossi said angrily.  “Ye may be my son but it does not give ya the right to walk in here.”

 

“If I’m your son then tell me the truth, what happened?” Nick shouted.

 

“Enough!” Mela shouted as she stomped her foot and it caused everyone to jump.  “Rossi go check on the round a bouts, Nickolas will ye be stayin for a while?”

 

“Yes” Nick said as he looked from Rossi to her.

 

“Aye then why don’t you and Nalia go to your room and unpack.”  She told him.  “When ya both come back, ya both better have calmed down, or ya both will be sleeping with the Blizzard.” Mela said as she walked over to the door and left the room.

 

           

 

Aj sat on the small cliff that hung over the pool under the Tree Falls.  His robe pulled up to his thighs he lightly kicked his feet around in the water as he stared at his reflection, more specifically his eye.  Lost in his thoughts of everything that had happened in the few days he didn’t hear the wooden door to the Castle open.

 

“May I join you?” A voice said and he jumped as his thoughts scattered away.  He looked up and saw Halian standing beside him.

 

“Sure.” Aj replied.

 

“How are you doing?” She asked as she tucked her skirt under her and dipped her feet into the water.

 

“I’ve been better.” Aj sighed.  “You?”

 

“Falling apart.” She said as she looked down into the water.  “My little girl can’t wake up, people are trying to hurt her, and there is nothing I can do to help her.” She said and Aj saw a tear drip down her cheek.  “But she has you, so that makes me feel better.”

 

“Really” Aj said as she whipped her eyes.

 

“Do you know how special you are?” Halian said, Aj lightly shook his head and she smiled at him.  “Oh Alex.” She sighed.  “My daughter has been shunned upon her whole life, she never had many friends growing up, and really there was only Nalia.” Halian stopped in thought. “And Dyn.” She frowned and Aj looked away.

 

Dyn had hurt Rayne so much it was hard for Aj to remember they were once close friends. “Adop and I spent many nights worrying she would end up alone, we worried she would end up secluding herself from everyone but then you came along and changed all of that.” She told him.  “You gave her life again and I do not mean what you did at the Springs.”

 

Aj frowned as he pulled Halian into his arms for a hug.  She cried on his shoulder and he didn’t mind.  He was kind of all she had right now, her husband dead a year now, and then there was Rayne.

 

“Now about Nickolas.” Halian said as they pulled away and she wiped her eyes.

 

“Halian I really think.” She interrupted him.

 

“You need to let him go Alex, I know you two are close but what he is going through he needs to do on his own and he has Nalia watching him and your friends are here again.” She told him.  “If they find something on Pixca, she will let you know but for now let him find what he needs to find.  You don’t need to be the only one watching out for him anymore.” Aj lightly smiled as he looked down and then they both sat there in silence.

 

“I wanted to take her to Pera for a few days.” Aj said as he looked into the water.

 

“She would have loved that.” Halian told him.

 

“I wanted to ask you something before we left but then she started getting sicker, then Nick took off, and now this, I never got a chance too.”  Aj said as she looked at him confused.  “I want to ask Rayne to marry me and I want your permission.”

 

“You do not need it, she is Queen.” Halian told him.

 

“I know but I still want it, where I come from its important.” He told her and then his face fell with sadness.  “I should have been there, I should have protected her and I wasn’t but that will never happen again, I promise you.” He said as he lip started to quiver and a tear dripped down from his eye.

 

“Alex” Halian sighed.  “You could not have known, you were trying to find your friends, Rayne’s friends, do not blame yourself.  She will wake up, she will pull through my daughter is strong.”  She said as she hugged him.  “You have my permission; there is no one else good enough.” She said as they pulled away and it made him smile.  “Go see her, she’s a Druid, she still might be able to sense you around.”

 

“Ok.” Aj nodded

 

“I will be by later I need to go to Sarila and check on things.” She said as she stood up.

 

“Thanks for the talk.” He said as they started to walk down to the lawn.

 

“Anytime Alex.” Halian said as she hugged him again. 

 

They separated there, Halian walked across the lawn and back into the Castle, Aj took the city entrance and headed to the Healing Springs.  When he got there he was surprised to see Howie, Leigh B, Brian, Kevin and Kristin all sitting on the lawn.

 

“Hey man.” Kevin nodded.  “Where were you?”

 

“Having a chat with Rayne’s Mom.” Aj said as he looked around at everyone.

 

“Jaina’s inside and we’re out here, all is well.” Brian said as Aj looked at him lying on the grass.  He then felt something tap him on the shoulder and he turned around, seeing nothing.  Shaking it off he turned back to his friends, only to see Leigh-Anne standing right in front of him.

 

“Hi” She said with a smile.

 

“Son of a bitch!” Aj shouted as he jumped back almost tripping over his feet.  “What the hell woman.” Aj said grabbing his heart.

 

“She’s been doing that since we got back from the Magic Fields.” Brian said rolling his eyes.

 

“I’m a Thief.” Leigh-Anne smiled and then she disappeared.

 

“Great.” Aj said knowing the fun that was coming, well Leigh-Anne being able to stealth and then pickpocket was not his idea of fun.  “Well at least she’s warming up to the place.”

 

“This one almost set my hair on fire.” Howie said nodding to his wife.

 

“Mage?” Aj asked with a smile.

 

“Battle Mage.” Leigh B said. 

 

“The fire goes on the sword sweetheart.” Aj said jokingly.

 

“I know that now.” Leigh B said smiling.

 

“What about you?” Aj said nodding to Kristin.

 

“Hunter.” Kristin said squishing her nose up.

 

“Hunter’s are cool, did you get a pet?” He asked.

 

“Not yet, they said one will come to me.” Kristin said shrugging.  “But I can shoot pretty pink arrows.”

 

“Arcane arrows hun.” Kevin said.

 

“What ever they’re pretty.” She smiled jokingly and Aj started laughing as he sat down on the grass with his friends.

Chapter 17 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                          Volume II

 

                                                      Chapter 17

 

Aj was in a deep sleep after being up for almost two days. Not being able to fight it anymore, he crawled into the empty bed beside Rayne in the rest room and closed his eyes.  His long dark hair hung over him, beads laced through pieces of his hair hung down against his face, his hand dangled over the edge as his arm laid beside him. 

 

            His eyes fluttered when he felt something wet touching his fingers and then they twitched when it didn’t stop.  He mumbled as he slowly opened his eyes and he sat up a little when he saw Paq sitting at his beside.

 

“Hey girl.” He said tiredly as he lightly patted her head closing his eyes.  She whined and jerked her head nudging his hand and he opened his eyes again.  The wolf walked over to Rayne’s bed and stood up on her back paws, her front paws sat on the empty mattress.  “This again.” Aj sighed as he sat up and rubbed his eyes.  He climbed down from the bed and over to Paq.

 

“Let’s go.” He said his voice still showing how tired he was.  The wolf jumped down and headed out of the room with Aj following behind her.  They walked out of the Springs and up the road to the place she had taken him to before and just like before they turned right and headed south down the street.  Aj looked around this time and saw there was no one around.  No one was at the restaurants eating dinner, no one was drunk at the Inn and no one was walking the streets.

 

“What are you trying to show me?” Aj said as he looked down at the wolf when they reached the Druid Park.  Just like before they walked down the path and went into the building. Again no one was there, not even the woman who greeted everyone at the front lobby.  Knowing they were going to the Council room Aj started to walk a step ahead of Paq and when he reached the doors he opened them. 

 

He stopped dead when he saw something was different then last time.  Rayne wasn’t sleeping she was sitting up on the bed, her back facing him.  He looked down at Paq as she walked by him and over to podium. 

 

“Rayne?” Aj said as he took a step but she didn’t say anything, she didn’t even flinch.  Slowly he stepped towards her walking down the aisle past all the chairs, the beads in his hair lightly clanked against each other, but the room was so empty it echoed loudly.  He stopped at the podium step and looked at her.  She sat still staring at the Council table and he didn’t take his eyes off of her as he walked around to the front of the bed. 

 

“Rayne?” He said again wondering if she could hear him.  Then her face changed but not to an expression Aj was hoping for, fear fell across her face and before Aj reacted Paq started to growl in front of him.  Quickly he followed both their stares and saw the figure slowly coming into focus.  The air rippled around the figure as its robe and hands became clearer.  Aj looked back at Rayne and she was starting to shake, he looked down to her wolf as it began to bark and howl just like before.  Looking back at the figure Aj watched as the clouds drifted away and the hooded figure that had chased Rayne through the two Palaces appeared.

 

It drifted through the Council table, it drifted across the floor, not walking but floating.  Paq quickly walked forward and readied in a protective stance.  The figure reacted to the wolf but if did not react to him being there.  Aj stepped closer to Rayne as the wolf faced off with the figure.  Paq snarled and snapped as the figure tried to move around her.

 

“Drania” Aj said and the hooded figured did not look at him it’s attention still on the wolf.  “Drania!” Aj shouted again but he still got no reaction.  Flakes of snow trickled from his finger tips and he shot his arm out sending a bolt of ice right at the figure.  He hit his mark and Aj finally got the attention he wanted.  The figure tilted its head from side to side.

 

“Human.” It hissed at him.  “You are not welcomed here” It said as he pointed to him.  “Her mind is mine now.”

 

“I won’t leave her.” Aj said as he put his arm down.

 

“Foolish you are Human, you will learn just like Adamai learned an Elvaan and a Human can not truly love each other and there for it will not last. Not even a spell can save the two of you.”  The figure said and Aj titled his head a little, those words sounding very familiar. “Now, get out!!” It shouted and sent Aj flying back into the doors.

 

Quickly Aj sat up and looked around breathless.  He looked around and saw the cave walls.  Looking to his right he saw Rayne still lying there in a deep sleep.  He looked away as his eyebrows fell in confusion, his mind racing back to what had just happened.  Aj took a deep breath as he swung his legs over the edge of the bed and put his head in his hands, trying to shake the dream from his mind.

 

The strange figure’s words repeated in his head. “Foolish you are Human, you will learn just like Adamai learned an Elvaan and a Human can not truly love each other and there for it will not last.” 

 

“Where have I heard that before?” Aj said too himself.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Halian walked down the streets of Winnol, she lightly smiled at the people as she walked past them.  She could see the worry and sadness on their faces but she wondered how many of them were really upset over Rayne.

 

“Milady.” A small Elvaan girl said as she stopped in front of her.  The little girl bowed and handed Halian a purple flower.  “For Queen Rayne.”

 

“Thank you darling.” Halian said with a smile.

 

“We hope she will wake soon.” The little girls Mother told Halian.

 

“We will have a party for her when she does.” The little girl said and it made Halian smile.  The Mother and little girl said goodbye and then Halian continued to walk down to the Healing Springs. 

 

“Halian?” A woman said from behind her, she turned around and sighed when she saw Rexil.

 

“Rexil.” Halian said with a nod.  “It has been a while.”

 

“Yes, yes it has.” The woman spoke softly.  “I heard about what happened to Rayne.”

 

“And what of it?” Halian asked as she locked her eyes onto Rexil.

 

“I know I gave your daughter a hard time and perhaps I really did over react when she saved Prince Nickolas.” Rexil said and Halian’s face fell in confusion.  “I may not have liked her for being a Human Druid but I never wanted harm to come to her and even King Alexander has proved to be a very good Elvaan King.”

 

“Well…”Halian said as she felt rage rush down her body.  “That is good to hear.” She said fighting to stay calm.

 

“If there is anything I can do please let me know.” Rexil said, I still have friends in the Council, I’m a little shocked by the loyalty some have shown.”

 

“I will tell Alexander you said so.” Halian told her.

 

“Good.” Rexil said with a light smile.  “Well if you excuse me this old Elvaan needs a nap.” She said with a joking smile.  Well that was it, that’s all Halian needed to hear.  First Rexil wishes Rayne well, never wanted to harm her, now she joked with Halian as if they were friends.  Rayne’s Mom watched the Elvaan woman walk down the street and out of sight.

 

“You Unsightly, decrepit, hag” Halian said as her body began to shake with anger.  Without wasting another moment she closed her eyes and thought about Aj, when she opened them again she was on the Healing Springs lawn.

 

Quickly she walked over to the resting room doors and walked into her daughter’s room.  She stopped when she saw Aj sitting on the edge of the bed, his head in his hands.  When he heard her walk in his head snapped up.

 

“Halian what is it?” He asked when he looked at her.  He got down off of the bed and walked over to her.  “Hali?” Aj said again and she finally snapped too.

 

“Rexil.” Halian said still trying to fight the anger.

 

“What about her?” Aj asked

 

“I saw her on my way here.” Halian said as she looked at Rayne.

 

“Did she say something to you?” He asked angrily.  “About Rayne?”

 

“She said she wished Rayne well.” Halian said as she looked back at him.

 

“She did” Aj said as he looked at her stunned.

 

“She was nice to me Alex, that woman has never been nice to me, nor has she ever cared about Rayne’s well being.” Halian told him.  “She even said she thought you turned out to be a good King.”

 

“She hates me.” Aj said to her.  “She hates the Human that is in…side…of…” Aj lost his train of thought as he started thinking about the dream again.

 

“Alex?” Halian said wondering where he went too. 

 

“She was trying to tell me, I think she was trying to show me.” Aj whispered as he looked at Rayne.

 

“What?” Halian said confused.

 

“The last couple of days, I’ve been having these dreams, I see Paq and she takes me to the Druid Building, to the Council room.” Aj told her.  “That’s where I see Rayne, she’s lying at the podium, then this figure shows up and Paq starts freaking out, snarling and growling.” Aj said looking at her. 

 

“The first time I had the dream I didn’t see the whole figure, then I had another one just now and I saw the whole thing.” Aj said.

 

“Did you see who it was?” Halian asked.

 

“No, but when I got it’s attention it told me that it was useless, an Elvaan could never love a Human, but the figure kept calling me Human.” Aj said.  “Then it said “Not even a spell will save the two of you.”

 

“Spell?” Halian asked confused then her eyes went wide.  “The protection spell.”

 

“It’s not Drania.” Aj said looking at her. 

 

“It’s Rexil.” They said at the same time.

 

“Rexil is the one behind this and Rayne was trying to tell me, I think.” Aj said as he looked at her Mother confused.  “I need to get Avit.”

 

“And do what?” Halian asked as she stopped him.  “There is no proof yet, besides what I know about the woman and people won’t believe your dreams Alex.”

 

“So what do I do?” Aj asked her.

 

“We will talk to Avit tell him what we know, maybe we can think of a way to get her to slip up.” Halian said as they both looked at Rayne.

 

“I wish she would wake up.” Aj said.

 

“So do I.” Halian frowned as she pulled him into a hug.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 18 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                          Volume II

 

                                                      Chapter 18

 

Nick stood at his bedroom window watching the snow fall from the sky.  It had already piled up since the last time his balcony had been cleared off when he first got here.  He drew a line down the window, the condensation from the cold air on the outside and the warm air on the inside wiped away with his finger.

 

            “Nick?” Nalia said from behind him.

 

“Yeah” He said as he watched a drop of water dribble down the window.

 

“The servant said dinner is ready, did you want to go?” She asked.

 

“Not really hungry.” He said not looking away from the window.

 

“Nick come eat with Rossi, Mela and Dolun.” Nalia said walking over to him.

 

“Why so we can fight about Ashmourn again?” Nick asked turning around.

 

“Well you just started questioning him; a hello would have been nice.” She said as he rolled his eyes.

 

“He asked me what was going on.” Nick said his voice squeaking a little.

 

“Where is this coming from?” Nalia asked as he sat down on the bed.

 

“I’m tired of not doing anything, I’m tired of people lying and covering crap up because they can’t admit their mistakes.” Nick said.  “We need to find Pixca and there are only two of us here.”

 

“Nick, Rayne died; now she’s very sick.” Nalia said as she walked over too him.

 

“So we beat Ignis without her.” Nick said quickly.

 

“She was alive and on trial, she was not lying practically unconscious in the Healing Springs!” Nalia shouted angrily.

 

“Don’t get mad at me.” Nick said to her.

 

“You arrogant ass.” Nalia snapped at him.

 

“Excuse me?” Nick said as he stood up.

 

“Did you forget that Rayne is like a sister to me?” She yelled at him.  “But yet here I am in Tokia with you, I went all the way to Ashmourn with you and what do I get for it?” She asked him as she pointed at him.  “I am going to dinner, come if you want but do not start asking questions or I’ll kick you out into the Blizzard myself.” She said as she walked over to the door and out of the room, slamming the heavy wood and steel door behind her.

 

He closed his eyes and sighed he knew she was right but when Rossi wouldn’t talk to him about what happened, he got mad and frustrated   Nick thought people had learned after the whole Ignis thing, not to hide stuff anymore and now here he was on the verge or what he thinks is the verge of finding Pixca and people are road blocking him.  And then there was Aj all pissed off at him.  Like he knew what was going to happen to Rayne and besides no one told him to go looking. 

 

Growling in frustration he turned around and walked over to his bed, sitting down on it.  He rested his head on his fists thinking about what to do.  Does he say the hell with everyone and search this place top to bottom, or does he stay calm and wait for Rossi to tell him, if he tells him.  Nick sat on his bed thinking, thinking about that creature, how it looked, how it felt when he drained it.  What he saw through the monster, more of them, thousands, millions but they were different.  Some were like the creature him and Nalia had run into however there were others that even though they were linked, they weren’t the same species as the rock lava creature.  He knew he had to do something, the closer he got the closer she felt.  Pixca was there he was certain.

 

“You can’t just go in there, you have no idea what the place is, where it is or what happened.” He said as he stood up and started talking to himself.  “That would be stupid and you’re smarter than that.”

 

“Nali’s right, go have dinner, stay calm and just chat, then ask him, and if he doesn’t tell you, then you take anything you need to know.” He said to himself again as he walked over to the door. 

 

He walked down the halls of the Mountain Keep and made his way to the Dinning area, he could hear people talking and laughing as he stood outside of the door.  Taking a deep breath he opened the door and walked in.  Everyone stopped and looked at him and he looked around at them.  Nick could tell he had sucked the life right out of the room and quietly made his way over beside Nalia as a servant went into the kitchen to get him his food.

 

When he sat down he looked at Nalia and she lightly smiled at him.  It made him relax a little and he smiled back at her.  Everyone started eating again and some started talking again but Rossi kept quiet. 

 

“So how long will ye be staying?” Mela asked, Nick snuck a peak a Rossi and saw the dwarf looking at him. 

 

“Depends.” He said as the servant set a plate down in front of him.

 

“On?” Rossi said looking at him.  Nick wanted to tell him ‘when you tell me about Ashmourne’ but he didn’t.

 

            “On how Rayne is doing.” Nick replied looking away from him.

 

“That poor child, I can’t believe the Druids are behind it.” Mela said.

 

“Not all, just Drania.” Nalia said

 

“But she is their leader.” Rossi said.  “So who knows how many are in on it?”

 

“How be Alexander?” Mela asked.

 

“Not good when we saw him.” Nick mumbled.

 

“What do ye mean?” She asked.

 

“Nick and Alex got into a fight, Alex was out looking for us when Rayne had her episode, and he blames us for him not being there.”  Nalia told her.

 

“Aye, as well he should.” Rossi mumbled.

 

“What?” Nick said looking up.

 

“Rossi.” Mela said sternly.

 

“Hush woman.” He shot at her.

 

“Don’t talk to her like that!” Nick snapped.

 

“Now ye be tellin’ me what to do in my own Palace!” Rossi shouted.  “You were on ya way to Ashmourn, a pointless trip.”

 

“It’s not pointless Pixca is there.” Nick said angrily.

 

“No!” Rossi shouted. “No one is there, the Keep is filled with Lava..”

 

“And Creatures made of rock and lava.” Nalia said as both Nick and Rossi looked at her.  “And there will be more the closer we get to Ashmourn, so if there was nothing there, then why are they there now and why didn’t Ignis know about them?”  Rossi looked around the room everyone staring at him, waiting for him to answer. 

 

“Bah!” Rossi barked as he waved his arms at Nick and left the table.  The people in the room looked around as Rossi left the room.

 

“Nick.” Mela said as she looked at him.

 

“I’m sorry Mela but there is something there, I know there is, and he’s standing in my way on finding out what it is.” Nick told her.  “I am a Guardian; I will do what I need to do to find Pixca.”  He then pushed his chair back and also left the room.

 

“Nick” He heard Nalia say as he walked down the hall. 

 

“What?” He asked as he turned around.  “Going to yell at me, put me out in the snow? Go ahead; he’s hiding something, something that we both need.”

 

“I know” Nalia said and he looked at her confused.  “He did start it with the comment about Alex.”

 

“Thank you.” Nick sighed.  “So what are we going to do?” He asked.

 

“We’ll talk about that in our room, I told the servant to bring your plate to our chambers.” She said as they started walking down the hall again.

 

“Thanks.” He smiled.

 

She smiled back and then took his hand.  “We’ll find out what’s there Nick, whether Rossi wants us to or not.”

 

 

 

 

 

Aj leaned against his desk, the sound of the Tree Falls echoed in his meeting room, the doors to his balcony open. He stared at the ring in his hand, Avit said this was the ring he was suppose to give to her when he asked her to marry him.  No box, nothing fancy, just a small silver ring with Elvaan words inscribed on it.  Avit told him it translated to, “Solidarity & Unity”.  The other ring translated too “We now become one”.  He liked it and he liked the fact that when they were put together they locked.

 

“Sir?” He heard Avit say and he looked up from the ring as he closed his hand over it.  Aj saw his General standing at the door with Drania in front of him; cuff free and she looked very confused. 

 

“Thanks Avit.” Aj said as he put the ring in his robe pocket.

 

“What is going on?” Drania asked him as Avit walked her over to a chair.

 

“I’m sorry.” He said to her.

 

“Sorry?” She said a little stunned.

 

“We think we know who is playing with Rayne’s head and I was wrong, it’s not you.” He told her.  “I don’t regret what I did, I will protect her like I do this land, like I do for all of Pixcadia but I will apologize.”

 

“Thank you King Alexander.” She said with a light nod.

 

“You are free to go but I have one thing to ask before you do.” He told her and she looked at him.  “We don’t really have proof on who it is, they’ve done a very good job on implicating you, including Larsung.”  Aj told her.  “Is there a way you could help us.  I know you’re probably mad at me and that’s fine, I just ask that you do this for Rayne, for your friend.”  Drania looked down for a moment and Aj wondered if she would help, he couldn’t blame her if she didn’t want too.

 

“Alright, I will help.” She said with a nod.  “What can I do?” She asked.  “Can you tell me who it is?”

 

“It’s Rexil.” Aj said and the anger that came over her face, he wondered if she was as mad as him.

 

“What do you need me to do?” She asked.

 

“We need you too stay in jail some more.” He told her.  “Go back tell Larsung they will move you to the court jails in the morning for your trial to start in two days.  He will probably find a way to let her know.”

 

“And we will have men keeping an eye on him.” Avit said to her.

 

“I’m bringing in the spies too.” Aj said.  “Tomorrow we’ll move you to the court jail incase they try something.  I know it’s not your home but..”

 

“But Rexil has turned my life upside down; I would gladly sit in jail for weeks if it meant bringing her to justice.” Drania said with anger.

 

“I will take you back now then.” Avit said and she stood up.

 

“Is she still sleeping or is that a cover up as well?” Drania asked.

 

“No, no she’s still sleeping.” Aj said lightly shaking his head.

 

“I am sorry, perhaps one of the Druids could go into Phantasm and see if she is lost or something?” Drania asked.

 

“Under the circumstances, the only Druid I trust now are you and Rayne.” He said.  “Maybe once this Rexil mess get’s cleaned up, if she still hasn’t by then.” He hoped she didn’t sleep that long.

 

“Of course.” She nodded.  Aj said goodbye and Avit closed the door as the two left the meeting room.  As he walked back over to his desk there was a knock on the door, he turned around to see Kevin and the guys coming in.

 

“Hey” He said with a nod.  “What’s up?” He asked.

 

“You missed dinner.” Brian said as he sat down.

 

“I was with Rayne and then I came here to talk to Drania.” He told them.

 

“More questions?” Howie asked.

 

“Something like that.” Aj said.  “Not really hungry anyways.”

 

“Dude you gotta eat.” Kevin said.

 

“I’ll grab something before I go to bed.” He told them as he walked over to his balcony doors.  Closing them and locking them Aj closed up his meeting room and headed to the Lobby doors.

 

“Where are you going?” Kevin asked as they stood up.

 

“I’m going back to see Rayne.” Aj told them as he stopped, holding the door knob.

 

“Alex.” Brian said.

 

“Look I’m sorry, I know I should be jumping around and doing cartwheels cause your all here and somewhere in me I am.”  Aj told them.  “But you’ve been gone a year and I’ve changed in that time and I don’t mean this.” Aj said pointing to his new look, before Brian could say anything.  “I don’t mean this in an angry way or a bad way but guys, Nick needs you more than I do right now.”  Aj then turned the knob and opened the door leaving the guys alone.

 

“When I find out who brought us back I’m going to beat them.” Brian sighed.

 

“Why because he has a life besides us now?” Kevin said and everyone turned around looked at him.

 

“You can’t be serious.” Brian said.

 

“What he said is true, did you not notice the way Nick looked?” Kevin said.  “You’ll go chasing Aj down when he does something you don’t like, or makes you worried but what about Nick.” Kevin said.  “He’s been fighting with Alex, taking off on him; did you not hear me when I told you what Aj told me?”

 

“I agree with Kevin, we should go see Nick.” Howie said nodding.

 

“But Nick’s in that cold place.” Leigh B frowned and everyone looked at her.  “It’s so warm here.”

 

“Then I guess we should go pack.” Kevin said looking around.

 

“Well I’m staying here.” Brian said as everyone started walking out of the room.

 

“Fine, but when he kicks you out of the city and country too, don’t come cryin to me baby.” Kevin shouted as he disappeared behind the door with a wave.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 19 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                          Volume II

 

                                                       Chapter 19

 

“So your friends left last night?” Avit asked as him and Aj sat in the dinning hall alone.

 

“Yeah, they’re gonna hang with Nick, keep and eye on him.” Aj told him as he scooped up some more eggs on to his fork.  “I’m glad Brian changed his mind too.”

 

Avit lightly smiled.  “Halian must still be sleeping.” Avit said.

 

“Or she’s still with Rayne, she relieved me last night.” Aj said. “Anything on Rexil?”

 

“No, but the guards said they noticed a higher amount of animal activity outside of the city walls.” Avit told him.  “That might be nothing in most cases but when dealing with Druids.”

 

“Yeah I understand.” He nodded.

 

“Should I post extra guards around the gates and entrances?” Avit asked.

 

“Not yet, don’t want to alarm people if we don’t have too.” Aj told him and Avit nodded agreeing with him.

 

“What did the spies say about her house?” Avit asked.  Now that Aj had been here long enough, the Winnol Elvaan Spies were given back into his control.  After Marsa died Avit was handed command until Aj understood the running’s of the Kingdom.  Now that he did, the Spies report to him and only him, unless otherwise specified.

 

“They said she retired to her house around 11 at night and she went out for errands this morning, I haven’t heard back yet.” Aj said as he finished his breakfast.

 

“Will you be heading back to the Springs?” Avit asked as he stood up from the table.

 

“Yeah, I need to check my desk for any reports first, who knows maybe Nick blew up Augem last night.” Aj said with a shrug.  “Were we involved with that war?” Aj asked as they walked into lobby.

 

“The one between the Humans and Dwarfs?” Avit asked and Aj nodded.  “No, that was over the Volcanic lands in Southern Kalica, it was not our fight. Our history records show our King at the time made sure the two understood this was their quarrel.” Avit told him.

 

“Does our history books say what happened there?” Aj asked as he stood over his desk looking at his General.  Avit stopped walking and looked at him.  “Nick may think I don’t care but I am still a Guardian.”

 

“I do not know, the Library would have all the history books of course.” Avit suggested.

 

“The one in Darlawind.” Aj said.  “Maybe I’ll teleport out there after lunch, if we find anything in them; we can send the books to Nick and Nalia in Tokia.” Aj said as they walked out of the meeting room.

 

“Well I must excuse myself I need to escort Drania to her new jail.” Avit said making it sound like normal talk.

 

“I will be in to question her some more later.” Aj said as they looked around.  It’s not that didn’t trust the people, they didn’t trust the animals.  Who knows if there was a mouse hiding behind the wall or a bird outside of a window.  They had to make sure no one heard them talking too much.

 

The two men separated, Avit heading down to the jails to get Drania and Aj heading out into the City.  He said hello and nodded to the people as they greeted their King.  Some gave him flowers and told them they were for Queen Rayne, some just sent their best wishes his way.  By the time he got to the Springs he had a bouquet of flowers. Bringing them just under his nose he inhaled them, the smell was sweet.

 

Walking across the lawn area he noticed there was no one around but he could here the whispers of people talking in one of the caves.  He walked into the resting room and saw she wasn’t there, so he walked back across the lawn to the other side and into the Pool caves.  He smiled seeing her even if she was unconscious she still made him smile.  Aj placed the flowers down in the corner with all the other flowers and gifts that had been given to her.

 

Kneeling down he looked at some pictures that had be drawn for her by the school kids.  He smiled as he saw stick figures of him and Rayne or just pictures of her, two stick arms, two stick legs, but hair that went on forever.  The sound of water lightly splashing took his attention from the pictures and he quickly turned around wondering who was in Rayne’s cave. 

 

“Rayne?” Aj said as he stared at her as she sat up in the water.  She slowly pulled her arms out and looked at the water falling from them with confusion.  “Rayne.” He said again as he walked over to her pool. 

 

“Dyn?” Rayne said looking at him confused.

 

“No beautiful it’s me Alex.” He said as he knelt down and took her hand.

 

“Alex? I…I do not know an Alex, where is Marsa, I wish to speak to Marsa right away.” Rayne said as she looked around.

 

“Marsa?” Aj said confused.  “I…I’m going to go get a Priest.”

 

“Yes well that would be most kind of you.” She said as she looked at him.  The tone she took with him, the way she looked at him or how she didn’t look at him, started to make his head spin.

 

He walked back out into the lawn area and over to the cave where he heard the Priests talking earlier and retrieved one of them.  He followed the Priest into the pool room but he stayed in the doorway.

 

“Your Majesty…” The Priest said.

 

“You’re Majesty?” Rayne said shocked. “I beg your pardon but my Father is still alive and you will not address me as such.” She told the Elvaan Priest.  The silvered hair Elf turned around and looked at Aj.  Well it didn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out what was wrong with her. 

 

“What happened to me, why am I here?” She asked looking at the Priest.

 

“What is the last thing you remember?” The Priest asked her.

 

“I was with Father; we were going to Sera while Mother was on her trip in Pomic.” Rayne told him.  “Where is Father did something happened to him as well?”  She asked and the Priest looked at Aj again.  “And why do you keep looking at him, who is he, I have never seen him in this City before.” She said looking at the both of them.

 

“All will be explained You’re…Princess.” The Priest said correcting himself quickly.  Aj didn’t know what to say or do he turned from the door and walked outside sitting down on the stone bench.

 

When he heard someone walking across the lawn he looked up and saw Halian coming towards him, she looked worried, probably because she saw him sitting there.  He stood up and quickly looked back at the cave.

 

“Alex what is it?” She asked.

 

“She’s awake.” Aj told her, he wanted to be happy but he couldn’t.

 

“Why do you look sad?” She asked worry still on her face.

 

Aj looked at her and then took a deep breath.  “She says the last thing she remembers is leaving for Sera with her Father while you were in Pomic.” He told her.

 

“Well that was over two years ago.” Halian said a little stunned.

 

“I’m guessing.” Aj said.  “You better go in there, she’s asking for Marsa and her Dad, so.” Aj told her as his voice drifted away.

 

“Oh Alex she does not remember you.” Halian frowned.

 

“Not a clue, she actually thought I was Dyn at first.” He told her as he sat down.  “I’ll be out here if you need anything.”

 

Halian went inside the cave and he found himself staring at the grass.  He heard them embrace each other, he could hear Rayne cry, he could Halian cry but no one was there to hear him cry.  That feeling came back, the feeling he thought he would never have again when he found her, forgotten.  The look in her eyes said it all, the love wasn’t there, nothing was there.  He sat there searching her eyes as the image sat in his mind but he still couldn’t find anything. 

 

“Alex?” He heard and he looked up to see Halian standing in front of him.  “She’s well enough to go upstairs now.” She told him.  “When she’s settled I will tell her what happened.”

 

“Ok.” Aj nodded.

 

“You should be there.” She said as she put her hand on his shoulder.

 

“Yeah, yeah I just need to go to my meeting room, see if the Spies have reported in.” He said as his hand drifted over his pocket.

 

“Alright.” She replied with a light nod.

 

When Halian went back into the cave Aj left the Springs and walked back to the Castle.  He walked into his meeting room and over to his desk, there were no reports but he wasn’t really there for them.  Reaching into his pocket he pulled the ring that he had carrying around with him for days.  Opening his upper right hand drawer he placed the ring inside, he stared at it a moment and then closed it. 

 

Hearing the happiness of the people outside he knew Rayne and her Mom had come through the lobby, he lightly sighed as he left his desk and walked out of the meeting room.  Aj tried to smile as he walked past the people, all of them telling him how wonderful it was but they didn’t know, they didn’t know she had forgotten, forgotten him.

 

“Mother please tell me what is going on, why did you take me to Marsa’s room, where is he?” He heard Rayne say as he walked down the hall.  The door was opened and he walked right in, seeing Rayne standing at the bedside.

 

“I most certainly will not get into Marsa’s bed.” Rayne told her Mother. “If I have lost my memory of the past two years, tell me why you brought me here.”

 

“It’s not Marsa’s.” Aj said and both women looked at him.

 

“You again?” She said looking at him confused.  “Who is this man?” She asked looking at her Mom.

 

“This is, this is Alexander.” Halian told her.  “He is Marsa’s son.”

 

“What?” Rayne said confused.  “Dyn is Marsa’s son.”

 

“Marsa has two son’s sweetheart, Alexander is a Guardian.” Halian said and Rayne looked right at Aj.

 

“A Guardian...” She said and Aj thought she looked like she was in awe.

 

“Marsa sent him away to protect him but he came back because..” She stopped not sure what to say to her.  “Remember your Father had to go to Hevi because of the rebels?”

 

“Yes” Rayne nodded.

 

“Those Rebels turned out to be Ignis and his army.” Halian told her.

 

“From the Tale?” Rayne said shocked.

 

“Yes” Halian nodded. 

 

“Who, who are the other Guardians?” Rayne asked.

 

“Alexander’s friend Nickolas, Nalia…”

 

“Nalia?!” Rayne said shocked as she looked at her Mother.  “Nalia is a Guardian?”  Halian nodded.  “But that is only three who is the other?”  Her mom looked at Aj and then back to her.

 

“You are sweetheart.” Halian told her.

 

“Me?” Rayne said and Aj saw fright come over her face.  “I…I can not be a Guardian.”

 

“You are Rayne, and you, Nalia, Nickolas and Alexander beat Ignis, you saved Pixcadia.” Halian told her.

 

“I did?” She spoke in a whisper and Halian nodded at her.  “Where is Father?” She asked and Aj found himself wanting to run, he didn’t want to see her go through the loss of her Father again.

 

“We lost many people in the War Rayne.” Halian began to tell her.

 

“Where is he? She asked.

 

“Your Father was killed Rayne.” Her Mom told her.

 

“No.” Rayne gasped as she put her hands over her mouth.  “But, I…I was just with him I know I was, we were going to Sera.” She cried and Halian pulled her daughter into her arms in comfort.  Aj closed his eyes and walked out into the hallway.

 

“Who else?” He heard her say.  “Who else did I talk too yesterday and tell me today are dead?” He heard the anger in her voice.

 

“Marsa.” He heard Halian tell her.  “Tas, Nati and..”

 

“No Mother.” Rayne said and her tone made him listen harder.  “No Mother do not tell me Dyn, please tell me it is not Dyn.” Rayne pleaded and the slight panic.

 

“I am so sorry Rayne.”

 

“Not Dyn, no” Rayne cried and even though they were muffled by her Mothers shoulder, they could be heard down the hall.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

           

 

 

 

Chapter 20 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                           Volume II

 

                                                       Chapter 20

 

“Anyone?” Nick asked looking around.

 

“Nothing” Kevin said as he closed another book.

 

“Zip here.” Kristin yawned.

 

“Do you think we’re going to find anything, if there are records of it, Rossi doesn’t want you to know, so they won’t be on the shelves.” Howie said as he looked at Nick. 

 

Nick was about to say something when the doors to the Library hall opened, everyone in the room looked at the doors to see who it was.

 

“Avit?” Nick and Nalia said a little confused.

 

“What’s wrong with Rayne?” Nalia then quickly asked.

 

“She has awoken.” Avit said to her. “Alex sent me to get you.”

 

“Just me?” Nalia asked looking at Nick then back to Avit.

 

“All of you.” Avit said as he waited at the doors.  Everyone got up from the table they were all reading at and walked over to Aj’s General.

 

“Is something wrong?” Kevin asked.

 

“It appears Rayne has lost the last two years of her memory.” Avit said.

 

“What?” They all said shocked.

 

“The last two years like everything we did?” Nick asked.

 

“The last thing she remembers is going to Sera with her Father; Halian said she thinks that was about a day, two days before the attack on Pomic.” Avit told them.

 

“Ouch.” Kevin whispered.

 

“Her Father, Marsa, Dyn, they were all alive…” Nalia said as she stopped Avit and looked at him.

 

“Halian has already told her, it took her Mother quiet some time to calm her down.” Avit said.

 

“Her Mom where was Aj?” Brian asked, Avit looked at Brian and then the rest of them.

 

“She doesn’t remember him.” Kevin said as Avit and Nalia looked at him.

 

“No she does not.” Avit said sadly.

 

“Poor Aj.” Leigh-Anne frowned.

 

“We should go then.” Nick said and everyone looked at him.  “I’m not going to find anything here, better leave before I do something stupid.”  Kevin lightly laughed and patted him on the shoulder.

 

            “Did you want to get our things?” Nalia asked.

 

“No we’re coming back, I may not find anything in there but there’s something here, I need time to find it, so we’ll spend a few days here, hopping back and forth.” He told her and she smiled nodding in agreement, glad to see he was thinking with a clear head for now.  When that would change she didn’t know.

 

“Where is she now?” Nalia asked.

 

“In one of the guest rooms, she found it to strange to sleep in Marsa’s room.” Avit told them. “When she is well enough she wants to go home to Sarila.”

 

“Where’s Aj?” Kevin asked.

 

“After she calmed down he went and had a meeting with his Spies, he’s been in his room ever since then.” Avit said as they entered the Globe room.  In a flash all 8 of them were transported to Winnol. They walked down the halls to the last corridor and stopped.

 

“I am going to go see Rayne first.” Nalia told Nick.  Nick nodded and said goodbye with a kiss.  Everyone else made their way down to Aj’s room.  Avit knocked on the door and waited.  They listened waiting to hear footsteps, waiting to hear the door unlock and open but instead they heard nothing.

 

Kevin knocked on the door and turned the knob, the door opened and he walked in.  He looked around and saw the room was empty.  Walking out to the middle of the room he shouted towards the bathroom.

 

“Alex?” There was not answer so he walked into the bathroom and saw nothing; he then walked back into the bedroom.  “He’s not here.”

 

“Perhaps he is in his meeting room.” Avit said and everyone turned around heading back into the hallway. 

 

“Nali says he’s not in Rayne’s room.” Nick said as he walked up to them.

 

“Alright let’s go to his meeting room.” Kevin said as he nodded for the stairs.

 

 

 

 

Aj put the books he had borrowed from the Darlawind library into his bag and put the strap over his shoulder.  He then made sure he had everything and walked out of the room.  When he did an Elvaan man approached him.

 

“Did you find everything you needed King Alexander.” The man asked.

 

“Yes, I think I found something.” Aj said with a nod.

 

“Wonderful.” He smiled.  “Hope to see you soon.” The man said as he opened the door for Aj.

 

“Just tell Myrdon I teleported home.” He told the head Librarian.

 

“Of course Sir.” The man bowed.  When he heard the door to the library close, he closed his eyes and pictured his home.  The wind whooshed passed his ears and when he opened them again, he was back in Winnol.

 

Aj walked down the hall towards his room, the Castle was quiet, and it was pretty late.  He left after his meeting with the spies, he needed to get away and think of something else beside Rayne.  Remembering he wanted to go to Darlawind to look for some information on Ashmourn.  The Librarian made sure he had dinner and everything, so he was set for the night.

 

“Alex..ander?” He heard Rayne say from behind him and he turned around.  “Alexander, correct?”

 

“Yeah” Aj nodded as his heart tightened.

 

“You should go see your friends before you retire, they are worried about you.” She told him.

 

“Oh.” He said wondering why they were looking for him.  “Are they here?”

 

“Yes, all but Nalia and Nick they returned to Augem.” She said.

 

“Oh, ok thanks.” He said.  “You should really be in bed.”

 

“I have done enough resting.” She told him.  “And even if I was tired with everything that Mother and Nalia has told me, I do not think I could.”

 

“Did you want to come in and talk?” Aj asked her.

 

“I do not want to intrude.” She said shyly.

 

“I’m not really tired so wasn’t planning on going to bed either.” Aj said with a shrug. 

 

“Alright” She said with a light nod.

 

Aj opened the door to their bedroom and held it open for her.  When she walked in she looked around and quickly walked over to her dresser.  As he closed the door he stared at her.  She carefully picked up the necklace her Father gave her as it laid on top of her jewelry box.

 

“I was going to have your Mom come in and get anything you needed when you go back to Sarila.” Aj said as he put his bag down on the desk.

 

“Mother said everyone thought Dyn had died and then he came back, siding with Ignis.” She said as she put the necklace down.

 

“Yeah” Aj nodded not sure what to say.

 

            Rayne walked away from the dresser and over to the window, she stood there for a moment and he watched her.  Then she turned around sitting down on the sill, covering her mouth, and muffled her cries.  Aj quickly walked over to her and sat down beside her.  He hesitated not sure if he should hug her.

 

“I thought I would have been enough.” She said.  “But he was so mad; he would not let his grudge against Marsa go.” She fell into his arms but he sat there stunned.  Slowly he wrapped his arms around her.  He was confused more than angry, she had told him when Dyn first came back she didn’t feel the same way but what she said now, how she is now, crying in his arms, he realized she was hiding something more.

 

“I am sorry.” She said as she quickly pulled away.  “I…I should not be here.” Rayne said as she stood up and ran out of the room, leaving Aj alone on the windowsill confused. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kevin sat on the end of his bed as everyone else ran around getting ready.  He stood up and walked over to the door.   He had forgotten how comfortable the clothes were here.  When he opened the bedroom door he heard his wife speak up.

 

“Where are you going?” She asked him.

 

“Look around for Aj some more, maybe Avit has heard something.  I’ll meet you guys downstairs for breakfast.” He said as she walked up to him and kissed him.

 

“He’ll be ok; he’s just dealing with a lot.” Kristin said.

 

“I can’t believe I had to check the Inns and Taverns but I just didn’t know.” He sighed.

 

“Well he wasn’t there so that’s a good sign.” She said.

 

“I’ll be back.” He told her as he kissed her and then left the room.

 

He walked down the hallway and past Rayne’s door, he heard some people talking in the room but it was too muffled for him to make anything out.  When he reached Aj’s door he knocked and got no answer.  He sighed and then waited and then knocked one more time.

 

“It’s open.” He heard a voice say and he felt himself relax recognizing Aj’s voice.  Opening the door he walked in and saw Aj sitting by his window.

 

“Where the hell have you been? Avit’s got half the army out looking for you?” Kevin asked.

 

“I was in Darlawind, didn’t realize I needed to check in Dad.” Aj shot at him.  Kevin looked at him; he sat on the window bench, his head lying against the wall.   

 

“All night?” Kevin asked.  “And what’s with the attitude.”

 

“I have an attitude because my whole fucking life has been flipped upside down and no, I wasn’t there all night.” Aj said in a huff.  “I came back sometime last night ran into Rayne.”

 

“How’s she doing?” Kevin asked.

 

“She’s pretty upset over Dyn.” Aj said.  “She was crying about not being enough to make him stay and not go to Pomic, and then she took off outta my room.”

 

“I thought she told you she didn’t feel the same way.” Kevin asked a little confused.

 

“She did.” Aj barked as he shot him a look.

 

“Dude” Kevin said taken back by Aj’s attitude.

 

“Just go alright, you found me I’m fine, now get the fuck out.” Aj said as he waved his arm.

 

“No I’m not going anywhere you’re upset.” Kevin said.

 

“Fuck yeah I am.” Aj shouted. “What was so bad about it that she couldn’t tell me huh?” He yelled as he sat up.  “I asked her if she did and she lied, she said no she didn’t feel the same way he did.”

 

“Well Alex the guy had just shown up after being dead for a year, not to mention what ever she was feeling for you at the time.” Kevin said as Aj stood up and walked around the room, pacing.  “Maybe she didn’t anymore, when he came he turned right away, he did those things to her before he was even under Ignis’s control, it was Dyn not Ignis that brought her to that ship and attacked her there. She didn’t have time to rekindle anything.”  Kevin walked over to him.  “Come on man, she thinks it’s two years ago, he was a different person, she hasn’t had all those things happen to her, he hasn’t done all those things to her.”

 

“But what if she did or still does, why couldn’t she tell me?” Aj asked.

 

“Maybe she thought it wasn’t worth it. He had become an evil person and what she did love of him was dead long ago.” Kevin told him.  “You were having your own problems with him.”

 

“She was so upset I hadn’t seen her that upset since she lost her Dad.” Aj said looking at him. 

 

“Rayne doesn’t know what he tried to do to her?” Kevin asked.

 

“I don’t think so; by the way she acted last night, no.  But I haven’t talked to Halian yet to see what all she told her, I dunno.” Aj sighed.

 

“Come to breakfast maybe she’ll be there.” Kevin said.

 

“I dunno, I need time to think, I’ve gone from getting ready to put the ring on her finger to wondering if she’ll ever love me again. I…I just dunno.” Aj said as he sat down on his bed. 

 

“Ok.” Kevin said as he lightly nodded.  “I’ll be back to check on you later.” Kevin told him pointing at him. 

 

“Yeah, yeah” Aj said as he waved at him to leave. 

 

Kevin sighed as he walked out the room and closed the door behind him.  He looked towards Rayne’s room and thought about going to talk to her, he decided not too and wait to see what happened, if anything, at breakfast.

 

 

 

Chapter 21 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                          Volume II

 

                                                      Chapter 21

 

“I demand to know the meaning of this!” Rexil shouted as two guards brought her into the room with Aj and Avit.

 

“Sit down!” Aj shouted at her and Avit looked at him.

 

“You have no right to talk to me like that, Human.” Rexil said angrily at him.

 

“I’m King; I’ll talk to you any way I fucking want.” Aj snapped at her as he slammed his hands down onto the table.  “You are under arrest.”

 

“For what?!” She demanded.

 

“For unlawful and unauthorized use of Mind Magic.” Avit told her.

 

“You think it was me who attacked Rayne?” She asked.

 

“We don’t think we know.” Aj told her.

 

“You have no proof.” She said as Aj walked around her.

 

“We have Rayne.” Avit said as he sat back.

 

“Impossible.” Rexil scoffed.

 

“Really and why is that?” Aj said as he leaned close to her.

 

“Alex.” Avit said not looking at him, when Aj stepped back Avit looked at Rexil again.  “Rayne is awake and she has told us everything she knows.”

 

“You lie” Rexil said looking at him.  “She remembers nothing, I made sure of it.” Rexil said and the two men stared at her in shock.  They didn’t think she would come clean this quick.  “How does it feel Alexander, to know she loved someone else before you?” Rexil said as she looked at him.  Aj didn’t say anything, he wanted to hit her, he wanted to send an ice bolt at her and watch her scream in pain but he couldn’t, he was king and besides Avit would stop him before his fingers even started to sparkle.

 

“She loves Dyn but she doesn’t remember what he did to her.” Aj said to her trying to stay calm.

 

“And you will be the first to tell her.” Rexil said.  “Tell her the first man she ever loved, tried to rape her, take her for his own.  Please let me be there, so I can see the heart break etch into her soul forever.”

 

Aj jumped at her but it was like Avit knew what was going to happen and he grabbed Aj by the arms and pulled him out of the room.  Avit pulled him down the jail hallway as he shouted at Rexil.

 

“Alexander!” Avit shouted.  “Control yourself now.”

 

“Control myself?!” He shouted at Avit.  “She took Rayne away from me.”

 

“Queen Rayne is still here Alex.” Avit said sadly.

 

“Well she might as well not be.” Aj growled angrily.  “Too look into her eyes and see nothing staring back at me, to see and hear her so hurt because of Dyn, and to know she would rather have him here than me?” Aj said as he cried.

 

“She does not know.” Avit said trying to comfort him.

 

“I don’t care!” Aj yelled.  “I do, me! I’ll feel it every time I go to bed with out her, every time she looks at me and every time I reach out she’s not there, I’ll know.”

 

“Put Rexil in jail, I want her trial to start tomorrow.” Aj told Avit and then he left the jails.

 

He flew out of the jail door into the Castle lobby unaware to the people around him; the only thing he could hear was Rexil’s voice, her words eating at him.  He walked up the stairs, his hand on the railing, he sluggishly reached the top.

 

“Hey!” Someone shouted and he turned around to see Nick at the bottom of the stairs.  “Been looking for you.” He said as he ran up the steps skipping two as he went.

 

“Not in the mood Nick.” Aj said as he waited for him.

 

“I’m not here to start shit.” Nick said.  “And I’m sorry for what I did; we should have at least told you where we were going.”

 

“Yeah you should have.” Aj said as they started walking down the hall.  Nick lightly smiled at him.  “Have you found anything in Tokia yet?” Aj asked.

 

“No” Nick huffed.  “Rossi knows something or he knows where I can look and he’s not telling.”

 

“I don’t think he will.” Aj said and Nick looked at him confused.  “Come here.” Aj said nodding him over to his room.  Nick followed him in the Master Bedroom and sat down on the couch as Aj walked over to his desk.

 

“The other night I went to Darlawind.” Aj said.

 

“Yeah Kevin told me that’s where you took off too.” Nick said as Aj walked over.

 

“I found these in the Library.” Aj said as he gently tossed three books onto the couch.  “The green one is the history of Winnol, the second one is the Elvaan recount for the War, and the third one is believed to be Myth but something tells me it’s not.”

 

“Why?” Nick said as he picked up the book Aj was talking about.

 

“It mentions the creatures you and Nalia saw, it doesn’t say where in Pixcadia it is, and I didn’t really read the whole thing.” Aj told him.  “So you’ll have to read it and see.”

 

“Wow man thanks.” Nick said as he picked up the books.

 

“If you ask me, the Elvaan’s knew the Dwarfs were up to something, by the sounds of it we were gearing up to help the Human’s because things were getting hairy.”

 

“What happened?” Nick asked

 

“They stopped showing up, it’s reported in the book they received word from the King himself, he told them there was an accident.” Aj said with a shrug.

 

“That’s what Nalia told me the King told the Human’s as well.” Nick said as he stood up.

           

            “Well I hope the books tell you something.” Aj said as the two walked out the room.

 

“Thanks man.” Nick said with a light smile.

 

“I’m still a Guardian.” Aj told him.

 

“I’ll let you know what we fine.” Nick said as the two quickly hugged.  “Are you going to go visit Rayne now before she goes back to Sarila today?”

 

“Maybe” Aj said with a light shrug.  “We picked up Rexil this morning; I want her trial to start tomorrow so I’m going to be busy with Avit.” Just then Halian and Rayne came around the corner at the end of the hall.  “Anyways I should go.” Aj said as he started talking down the hall.

 

“Wait Alex.” Nick said as he turned around and looked at his friend.

 

“Hope the books help.” Aj waved as he headed down the stairs.

 

“Was that Alex?” Halian asked as they approached Nick.

 

“Ah yeah, he had to go though, something about Rexil.” Nick told them.

 

“I need to talk to him.” Halian said looking at Rayne.  “Go in and get your things, I will be right back.” Nick watched as Halian hurried down the hall and then he looked back as Rayne walked into the room.

 

“So, how are you feeling?” Nick asked.

 

“Fine thank you” She said with a light smile.  “Where is Nalia?”

 

“She went with the girls; they had some more training today.” Nick told her.

 

“I hope they are adjusting well.” Rayne told him.  “I imagine it must be scary for them, to be in another place like this.”

 

“It was at first but I think they’re warming up to it.” Nick smiled.  “I know how scary it was for me but I didn’t let anyone know.” Nick told her remembering.  “Alex did not want to be here, he wanted to go home, I think he was like that cause he was scared too.”

“Well he has seemed too warmed up to the place.” Rayne said as she locked her jewelry box.

 

“Yeah well he had you.” Nick said

 

“Me?” Rayne said a little shocked.  “Oh right.” She sighed as she looked away and Nick frowned.

 

“He really does love you.” Nick said and she stopped what she was doing and looked at him.  “He’s saved your life a few times now, in fact if you want I can take you out by Darlawind and show you how much.” Nick said talking about the strip of open land that now ripped through the middle of the island.

 

“What’s in Darlawind?” She asked.

 

“We were out doing recon…” He stopped when she looked at him confused.  “Looking to see where Ignis was camped out on the island.” He explained to her and she nodded understanding.  “Well Ignis took Nali and I went after them, you and Alex went after us, and during the rescue things got crazy.”  He said as she listened.  “They took you and brought you to their camp. Johon tried to escape with you and AJ stopped him.”

 

“How?” She asked.

 

“Tohil spell.” Nick said and Rayne started laughing. “What’s so funny?” Nick asked.

 

“A Tohil spell?” She asked.  “Oh no wonder Nalia likes you.” She laughed.

 

“You think I’m joking.” Nick said with a sigh.

 

“A Tohil spell Nick? I’ve lost my memory for the past two years not my entire life.” Rayne said as she started to calm down.

 

“Ask Nalia if you don’t believe me.” Nick said as he stood up.

 

“And have you two joke with me all day about it?” She said with a light laugh.

 

“Then go fly by Darlawind, you’ll see.” Nick said as he walked out of the room. 

 

For the first time since the conversation started she wondered if Nick was telling the truth.  A Tohil spell, no one could cast that spell, no one could conjure the Ancient spells, Myths made up to inspire young Mages.

 

“Darling?” She heard her Mom say and she looked up.  She saw Alex standing beside her.  He looked like he didn’t want to be there, she hadn’t really looked at him before, he didn’t look like Dyn at all actually he looked like Tsa.  He had her eyes, eyes she was known so widely for.  How loving and caring they were, no matter Human, Dwarf or Elf.

 

“Everything alright?” Her Mom asked.

 

“Ah yes, yes.” She said quickly snapping too.

 

“Your Dresses are in this one and your robes are in this one.” Aj said pointing to the two large standing dressers.  “That chest over there has your Druid stuff in it.”

 

“Oh ok.” Rayne said nodding.

 

“If that’s everything I need to go check in with Avit.” Aj said and she noticed he didn’t look at her but at her Mom.

 

“Alex…” Her mother said sadly.

 

“I need to prepare for Rexil’s trial tomorrow, I’m sorry.” He said and then he left the room. 

 

Her Mother turned to her and Rayne could see the look in her eyes.  “Please Mother do not tell me who I am suppose to love.” She said turning around. “It is bad enough I have Nickolas who did not live here, lie to me and tell me Alexander conjured a Tohil spell to save me.” She said as she walked over and opened up her dresser door.

 

“He did Rayne.” Halian said and Rayne spun around and looked at her.

 

“What?” She asked stunned.

 

“Johon took you, he was trying to escape with you and Alex conjured a Tohil spell to stop him.” Halian told her.  “When Nick had brought you to safety, he released the spell and sent every one of Ignis’s men out into Ocean.” Halian told her still able to remember waking up in the water after words, as Ignis’s men pulled her onto the boat.

 

“Nickolas said it ripped through the island.” Rayne said in awe.

 

“It did, it is still there, and the Elvaans are turning into a beautiful park.” Halian said with a smile.  “Leads all the way to the ocean, they’re going to name it Meleth Cirith.”

 

“Loves pass” Rayne said as she translated the Elvaan words.

 

“Dyn must have been…” Rayne was interrupted.

 

“Dyn was evil Rayne.” Halian told her and Rayne looked up at her shocked. “He did not love you; he only wanted to hurt you.” Halian said and Rayne lightly shook her head.  “Yes Rayne.” Halian said taking her hands.  “You want to know how much Dyn loved you? He loved you so much he kidnapped you, tried to sail away on Winnol’s commanding ship, and had Alex not gotten to you in time…” Halian stopped as the thought choked her up.

 

“What Mother?” Rayne asked.

 

“I can not even say what he would have done Rayne, that’s how horrible it is.”  Halian told her.

 

“No he would never…”

 

“He did Rayne and Alex stopped him and he saved you.” Halian said. “Remember I told you about Ignis what happened to me.” Rayne nodded. “I remember what Dyn confessed to me about you.” Rayne looked away quickly her face turning red just as fast. “But it was not love, it was lust an unhealthy lust and on that ship he showed you too.” Her mother watched as she closed her eyes tightly. “I wish I could have been there to see Dyn’s face when the Elemental picked him up.”

 

“Elemental!” Rayne shouted.  “Now you want me to believe he conjured an Elemental?”

 

“He is very powerful Rayne, you all are.” Halian told him.  “But when it comes to you nothing will stop him from protecting you, even now.”

 

“Now?” Rayne said.

 

“Have you noticed how angry he’s been?” Halian said.  “But how different he is when he knows you’re around.”

 

“Well I can not just start loving him.” Rayne told her.

 

“I nor Alexander are asking you too, he’s upset because you did not tell him how you felt about Dyn.  You felt that it would upset him, that he might think you truly did love Dyn and that is why you had feelings for Alex.”  Halian took her hand.  “When you lost your memory you forgot and when you started asking for Dyn and were so upset over him, Alex figured it out, I guess.”  Rayne walked over the bed and sat down.

 

“You stopped loving Dyn long before Alex came here and you did think when he returned perhaps you could help him, that there was still something there, so you went to talk to him but he showed you exactly who he was.” Halian told her.  “It was just after that Dyn escaped and took you onto the ship.”

 

“I tried to stop him from going.” Rayne said to her.

 

“And it changed nothing and you told me that yourself.  Dyn was obsessed with Marsa and his hatred towards him.” Halian told her as she sat down beside her daughter.

 

“I am so confused.” Rayne said as she started crying.

 

“I know sweetheart.” Halian said sadly as she pulled her daughter into a hug.

 

 

           

 

 

 

Chapter 22 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                          Volume II

 

                                                       Chapter 22

 

 

“Hey man where ya been?” Kevin asked as Nick walked into the room in Tokia.

 

“I went to see Aj.” Nick said as he closed the door.

 

“Dude” Kevin said looking at him.

 

“Relax, I apologized to him.” He said as he sat down.

 

“Heads still on that’s a good sign.” Howie said with a light smile.

 

“Haha.” Nick mocked as he reached into his backpack.  “Look he even gave me these.” He said as he lightly tossed the books on the desk.

 

“What are they?” Nalia asked as she walked over to him.

 

“He said they were all he could find from the Elvaans about the War between the Humans and Dwarfs.  That one is about the War, that one is about the history of Winnol at the time, so there might be some things in there, and that one..” Nick said pointing to the old, ripped leather dirty brown book.  “Is a story, but it’s a story about a Fire Castle and it’s creatures.”

 

“Fire Castle?” Nalia asked confused.

 

“I haven’t read it yet just flipped through it but I found a page talking about a Castle filled with Lava and the creatures that protected it.”  Nick said.

 

“Sounds like Ashmourn.” Nalia said.

 

“That’s what Aj said.  He said the Librarian told him it was an old story forgotten when they all lost their memories about Ignis.”  Nick said shrugging. 

 

“We lost a lot of things like that.” Nalia said with a little frown.  “When did he get these?” Nalia asked.

 

“The night he disappeared, he was in Darlawind, that’s why we couldn’t find him.” Nick said as he looked at Kevin.  “He said he went there to see what he could find for us.”

 

“This one is the smallest I’ll read this one.” Howie said grabbing the small book on Elvaan history.

 

“Way to help there D.” Nick said as he rolled his eyes.

 

“Hey without my phone, I am only one man.” Howie sighed.

 

“Loser.” Nick said sarcastically as he sat down.  “You should take this one.” Nick said handing the book to Nalia.  “You know Kalica better than anyone, so you might recognize the places.” He told her.

 

“Alright.” She nodded.

 

“Find anything you think is funny, sounds weird, especially when it comes to the King of Tokia at the time.” Nick told them.

 

“I thought you were going to change your hair back?” Howie said as Nick picked up the other book.

 

“Kind of like it now, goes with my new eyes.” Nick said smiling and then the smiled disappeared when he said new eyes.  “At least I’m still tall, my fingers aren’t stubby and I have no facial hair.”  Nick said as Howie and Leigh B started laughing.

 

“How’s Aj?” Kevin asked as Nick looked up from his book.

 

“Busy, he’s getting ready to take Rexil to trial tomorrow.” Nick said.

 

“Already?” Nalia said a little shocked.

 

“Guess so, I think he’s doing it because of Rayne.” Nick said.  “Halian and her came around the corner and as soon as he saw them, poof he was gone the other way.”

 

The room was quiet as Howie, Nick and Nalia read through their books while the others continued to look in the books still unchecked in the Tokia Library.  The only sounds were light mumbles of people reading and the sound of pages being flipped and turned.  So it was no surprise that everyone looked up to see who was coming through the Library doors as the sound of the doors opening echoed through out the room.

 

“Rayne?” Nalia said as she stood up. “Everything alright?”

 

“Yes everything is fine.” She said with a nod.  “I came here to see Nick.”

 

“Me?” Nick said as he looked up confused.

 

“Yes.” She said with a nod.  “I was hoping you could show me that place you were talking about.”

 

“Place?” Nick replied confused. His face fell in puzzlement as he thought about what she was talking about.  “Oh!” He said snapping his fingers.  “You want to go see it?”

 

“Yes please.” She nodded.

 

“Ok.” Nick nodded.

 

“Very well, then I will meet you at the Gryphon Tower in Winnol.” She bowed and then left the room.  Nick looked around and saw everyone staring at him.

 

“Where are you two going?” Kevin asked.

 

“I think she wants me to show her what happened outside of Darlawind.” Nick told them.

 

“That’s good though right?” Howie piped up.  “That she wants to go see it, maybe she’s remembered something?”

 

“Maybe.” Nick said with a shrug.  “Ok well I’ll be back then.” He told them as he quickly kissed Nalia.

 

 

When Nick reached the top of the tower he saw Rayne waiting for him, both Gryphon’s ready to go.  He walked over to the bird beside the one she was standing at and took the reigns from the Gryphon Master.

 

“So how come you want to go out there?” Nick asked as he settled himself onto the saddle.

 

“I want to see it for myself.” She said in a stern voice and then she gave her Gryphon a kick and it took off into the air.  Nick took a deep breath, sighing as he kicked his Gryphon and it took off into the air.   Rayne stayed ahead of him until they were reaching the Island.  Then he noticed her Gryphon slowing as she waited for him to catch up and show her the way.

 

“This is it.” Nick said as he brought his Gryphon to a stop in the air.  The giant bird hovered over the trees, its wings flapping strongly holding it’s self up.  “It starts there and doesn’t end until the shore line.” He told her pointing.  Nick looked at her, Rayne’s face showing awe as she followed the bare hole that ran down the middle of the island.

 

“The Elvaans have cleared out the debris and dead tree trunks.” Nick told her as they jumped down off of their Gryphon’s. 

 

“Mother told me they are making it into a park.” Rayne said as they walked side by side.

 

“Yeah” Nick nodded.  “People can’t get enough of a good love story, even here.” Nick smirked but Rayne looked at him confused.  “Just because you can’t remember doesn’t mean what you two had wasn’t real.”

 

“I know.” Rayne said quietly.

 

“You do?” Nick said, now it was his turn to be confused.

 

“I see it when he looks at me, or should I say looks away from me.”

 

“It’s hard for him.” Nick told her. “And plus that’s how he kind of deals with things, runs away.”

 

“Why?” Rayne asked.

 

“Cause he’s hurting and when he’s hurting he hides, runs away, or tries to ignore the situation completely.” Nick said to her as she looked towards the long stretch of open space.  “I think it’s something he picked up from his Dad.”

 

“Pardon?” Rayne said turning around and he saw the look on her face and thought about his words.

 

“Oh, no, not Marsa, his Dad back on Earth, left him when he was three.” Nick told her and he saw her frown.  “When someone who is suppose to never abandon you, or is suppose to love you unconditionally, abandons you and leaves doubt on whether or not they truly love you, it messes with your head.”

 

“I, I suppose it would.” Rayne said as she looked at the grass.  “Well what about his Mother?”

 

“She raised him, mostly on her own but they lived with his Grandparents, besides, she’s back on Earth.” Nick said to her and she looked at him.

 

“So you two really did give up a lot to stay here?” Rayne said as she stopped walking.

 

“Yeah but this is where we belong, we felt it from the first day we got here.”

 

“And that was enough? Enough to leave your family and loved ones behind?” She asked.

 

“Well for me it was because I wanted to help and I guess for Nalia but don’t tell the guys that.”

 

“And Alex?” She asked.

 

“You’d have to ask him.” Nick told her and he headed over to his Gryphon.  He knew why, AJ had told him many times but he figured getting them to talk was a better idea.

 

“I did not think it to be true.” She said as she walked her Gryphon over to his.  “Mother told me about this and about the Elemental, I still did not believe her, and then she showed me the ship junk yard, showed me Winnol’s Master ship and the damage that had been done.  I needed to see this myself.”  Nick didn’t say anything, he just lightly smiled.  Hoping what she saw was enough to make her realize AJ really did love her. 

 

“I hope your starting to see how much he cares about you, how much he loves you.” Nick said to her as she was about to take off in her Gryphon.  She froze a minute and looked at him.

 

“It is not his love I doubt.” She told him with a small frown. Rayne then looked down at her reigns and then gently kicked her Gryphon and it took off into the air.  Nick looked at her a little stunned as she took off into the sky.

 

Nick took off into the air and turned his Gryphon around to head back to Winnol.  When he looked to see where she was flying he saw her stopped, hovering over some trees.

 

“What’s up?” Nick asked.

 

“Smoke.” She said nodding ahead of them.

 

“Is that…” Nick started to say.

 

“Where Winnol is, yes.” She replied as she looked at him.  They both nodded at each other and then kicked their Gryphon’s, making them fly harder and faster than they normally would.  As they got closer to Winnol, the smoke got thicker and there was more of it, coming from different sections of the Elvaan city. 

 

“If I didn’t know any better I’d say Ignis was back.” Nick shouted as they began to arrive at the city. 

 

“What is that?” Nick shouted to her and she looked over to where he was pointing.  She saw a large dark cloud heading towards them.  Rayne strained her eyes to get a better look, and then decided to grab a hawk and see through his eyes.

 

“Is it smoke?” Nick asked as he looked back and forth from Rayne to the black cloud.

 

“No.” She said calmly but he saw the look on her face.

 

“What?” Nick asked wanting to know.

 

“They are birds, hundreds of them, heading right for us.” Rayne told him.

 

“Birds?” Nick said confused.

 

“We need to land now.” Rayne said as she kicked her Gryphon and pushed down on its neck so it knew to go down.

 

“What? Why?” Nick asked, he hesitated but followed.

 

“They are being controlled.” Rayne said to him as they hovered low to the city.

 

“By what?” Nick asked.

 

“Not by what by who, a Druid.” Rayne said as they landed.  Nick looked around to where they were, they had landed in the middle of the city, the town square, and it was very odd to see it so empty.

 

“The citizens must have taken refuge in the castle or in their homes.” Rayne said as she looked around.

 

“Wait you said the birds are being controlled by a Druid.” Nick said as he walked up to her.  “Alex was getting Rexil ready for her trial.  We need to find AJ.” Nick said as he signaled for his Gryphon to take off back to the tower without him.

 

Then out of no where Nick heard a shout and then felt himself slamming into the hard dirt road.  He shouted in pain as the wind left his lungs and a sharp pain ripped down his arm.

 

“What the hell was that?” Nick asked as he grabbed his arm and quickly looked around.

 

“Down!” Rayne shouted again as she pushed his head down but this time Nick was aware of what was going on around him, and he saw a huge fire ball slam into the building behind him.  Quickly he looked up and saw AJ standing at the end of the square.

 

“AJ?” Nick said confused as he looked at his friend, staring at them, holding his arm out at them.  “What the hell are you doing?” Nick squealed.  AJ said nothing as he walked towards them.  “Dude seriously…” Nick said as he felt the need to run away from his best friend.  Nick watched horrified as an Ice bolt jetted from AJ’s fingers and slammed into his chest, Nick dropping to his knees, his body turning cold, and it was becoming harder for him to breathe.

 

“Alexander, what are you doing?!” Rayne demanded.  Nick looked up as he felt AJ step beside him.  He watched as AJ grabbed Rayne by her robe and she tried to struggle.

 

“I can control life too, Human.” AJ said.  It was his voice, his way of talking but Nick knew it wasn’t him.

 

“Rexil.” Rayne said as she looked at AJ stunned.

 

“The people won’t be too happy their King went on a rampage.” Rexil said through AJ and she even made him smile.

 

“Do you really think you can out power a Guardian?” Rayne asked her as she struggled.

 

“There is nothing he can do; his knowledge of our talent is limited.” Rexil scoffed at her.

 

“I did not mean Alexander.” Rayne said and as she said AJ’s name her hand pressed against his chest, her eyes starting to glow.  “This is not your body; your life is not welcomed here!” Rayne shouted and the words sounded very familiar too Nick.

 

“Do what you will, it is too late, the damage has been done, and the people will revolt.” Rexil said and then they both watched as AJ’s eyes rolled into the back of his head and he started to slump.

 

Nick tried to stand up to catch AJ but his chest hurt too much.  It didn’t matter though, Rayne as there and helped AJ lay down on the ground.  Slowly Nick crawled over to AJ and looked at Rayne.

 

“Is he ok?” Nick asked.

 

“I’m sure nothing a session at the Healing Springs will not cure.” She said looking around.

 

“We need to find Avit.” Nick told her and she nodded in agreement.

 

“Halt!” Someone shouted and they both looked up to see a bunch of Winnol Soldiers standing at the end of the street.  “King Alexander is to come with us.”

 

“He needs the Healing Springs.” Rayne said as she stood up.

 

“Then he will be taken there by us and when he wakes up he will be put under arrest.” The one Soldier said.

 

“And if you do, I will personally have your head.” Rayne said sternly and both Nick and the men looked at her shocked.  “Where is Avit?”

 

“He..” The Soldier stopped and looked at AJ.  “He is severely injured, King Alexander attacked him.”

 

“It was Rexil she was controlling him.” Rayne snapped at them.  “Where is she?”

 

“We do not know your Highness.” The Solider told her.

 

“Well then find her, now!” She shouted back at them.  The men stumbled a bit and then took off, finding more men to start a search.  Rayne knelt down beside AJ and Nick, then he heard a crackling sound and as he looked up he saw Rayne fall onto AJ.  There standing in front of him was Rexil.

 

“Awww look at the love birds.” Rexil sighed to Nick.

 

“Back off lady.” Nick said as he stood up as quickly as he could.

 

“Warlock, you are no match for me, you could not even fend off Ignis.” She said as she stepped closer to him.

 

“Try me.” Nick said as his hand started glowing purple.  Rexil flinched trying to distract Nick, trying to make him look behind him but it didn’t work.  He stood there firm, staring at her.  He raised his eyebrow at her, daring her to make a move, and he saw fear when she swallowed. 

 

Then a quick thought went through his head, the monster, the lava giant he had drained of life, could he take hers too, and not have the guilt that went with draining a good human being of their life.  This was Rexil and she was obviously going a little nutty.  Not giving it another thought, Nick changed the spell in his hand and then threw out his arm.  A pink and purple beam crackled from his fingers and wrapped itself around Rexil.  She looked at him stunned, and as he closed his hand around the beam, Rexil gasped.  Another crackling sound was heard as her energy began to leave her body, following the beam and seeping into Nick’s body.  A grin broke from his face as he felt her power, her energy surging through him. 

 

“Stop…this.” Rexil moaned as Nick watched her drop to her knees.

 

“You didn’t stop when you tried to put Rayne in jail.” He said to her and he jerked his arm, almost pulling on the rope of light and Rexil jerked as more power left her body.  “You didn’t stop when you made her look crazy, almost killing her, and taking her memory.”

 

“Stop.” Was all Rexil could get out.

 

“No” Nick said as he stared into her eyes and with that one word, the rest of Rexil’s power and energy left her body and went to Nick. 

 

Rexil slumped hard to the floor as the pink and purple beam dispersed into thin air.  Nick closed his eyes, letting his body absorb the energy.  Turning around he looked down and saw Rayne starting to move.  He knelt down beside her and helped her sit up.

 

“You alright?” He asked as she looked up at him.  She quickly looked behind them, searching for whatever had hit her.  Rayne’s eyes going wide when she saw Rexil, dead.  “Won’t be worrying about her anymore.”  Nick said as he helped her stand up.  “Do you remember anything?” He asked hoping maybe now that Rexil was dead, Rayne would remember.

 

“Do you mean what just happened or do you mean the past two years? She asked.

 

“The past two years..” Nick said as the hope began to fade from him.

 

“No, I do not.” She replied with a small frown and he matched it.

 

“We should get him to the Healing Springs.” Rayne said when she looked down at AJ.  “Are you strong enough to carry him?”

 

“Yep.” Nick said as he knelt down and then scooped AJ into his arms.  “He’s pretty light anyways.” He smiled, and then he laughed a little when he saw Rayne doing the same.

 

 

Chapter 23 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                           Volume II

 

                                                       Chapter 23

 

AJ watched as his arm reached out and he grabbed Rayne.  He tried to do everything he could to stop his arm, but he wasn’t in control anymore.  AJ shouted out for her as he slipped into the water.  Water fell into his lungs and as he felt someone grab his robe, he began coughing the water out, still trying to grab onto something.

 

“Dude relax.” He heard Kevin say as he gasped for more air.

 

“Rayne” AJ gasped in between coughs.

 

“She’s fine, she’s outside waiting.” Kevin told him as AJ started to calm down and look around.

 

“Where’s Rexil?” AJ asked.

 

“Dead.” Kevin told him and AJ looked at him confused.  Kevin told him what Nick had told him and the others.  About them going to Darlawind, and seeing the smoke on their way back, Nick told Kevin what happened at the town square and about Rexil attacking Rayne.  Then Kevin told AJ about Nick draining her.

 

“Is he ok?” AJ asked a little stunned.

 

“Yeah he seems fine.” Kevin said with a light nod.  “I’m going to go get a Priest ok?” Kevin said to him and AJ nodded.

 

When Kevin left the room AJ lifted his arms and watched the water drip from the sleeves of his robe.  He ran his fingers through his hair and sighed as the memories of what had happened rushed through his head.  The sound of a heel on the stone floor made him look up and he saw Rayne standing at the door way.  Quickly he climbed out of the bath of water and walked over to her.

 

“Are you ok did she hurt you?” He asked.

 

“You should not be out of the water.” She told him.

 

“I’m fine, are you ok?” He asked again.

 

“Yes” She said with a nod.

 

“Do you remember anything; now, now that Rexil is dead?” He asked with hope in his heart.

 

“No” She said and his heart sank and the hope vanished.  “You should really get back into the bath.” She told him gently taking his arm and pointing to the pool of water.

 

“I need to go see Avit.” AJ said as he walked passed her.

 

“Alexander.” Rayne said as she ran in front of him and stopped him.  “Get back into that pool.” She said sternly at him as she pointed back into the cave.  He looked at her stunned, confused, and then turned around, getting back into the bath of water.

 

“Shouldn’t you be in Sarila?” He asked her as he slipped into the water.

 

“I was but I asked Nickolas to show me the Meleth Cirith.” She said still standing by the door way.  “I was hoping I would feel something while there.”

 

“And I take it you didn’t.” AJ said finally speaking.

 

“No, I did not.” Rayne replied and AJ lightly laughed.  “Why did you stay?” She asked him.

 

“You mean here?” AJ asked and she nodded.  “What does it matter?  It won’t help you and I really don’t feel like talking about it.”

 

“It matters because..” She stopped not sure if her words would make sense to him, or end up hurting him.  “It matters because..”

 

“Alright I got the Priest.” Kevin said as he walked into the room but stopped when he saw Rayne and AJ.  “Oh, do you guys need a minute?”

 

“No, no it is fine.” Rayne said pushing her thoughts from her head and she left the cave letting the Priest tend to AJ.

 

“Is everything ok?” Kevin asked as he looked from the Cave door to AJ.

 

“Yeah.” AJ said with a robotic nod.

 

“Seemed like a pretty intense conversation.” Kevin said as the Priest hovered his hands over top of AJ.  AJ kept silent and stared into the rippling water. 

 

“Can he have visitors yet?” Nick asked as he poked his head in.

 

“Not you.” AJ said jokingly.

 

“I’ll remember that the next time some crazy ass Druid tries to kill you again.” Nick said rolling his eyes.  “At least Rayne said thank you.”

 

“I heard you too had a date.” AJ said and Nick immediately got defensive.

 

“It wasn’t a date dude.” Nick told him.  “She wanted to go see the mess you made.”

 

“Well nice try but it didn’t work.” AJ said as Kevin helped him out of the bath.

 

“Yeah I know.” Nick frowned. 

 

“She’ll never remember.” AJ whispered but his friends heard him.

 

“I don’t think she’s trying to remember.” Nick said quickly then he realized how it sounded.  “I mean, I don’t think she doubts you love her.”

 

“What are you talking about?” Kevin asked as AJ put on a clean robe.

 

“I think she doubts how she felt.” Nick said and then realized saying that was probably worse.

 

“What makes you think that?” AJ asked quickly.

 

“It was just something she said, that made me think that.” Nick said trying to back track.

 

“Which was?” Kevin asked.

 

“She asked me how come I decided to stay here, and then she asked me why you decided to stay here.” Nick said nodding to AJ.

 

“What did you tell her?” AJ asked.

 

“Told her she had to ask you that question.” Nick said as AJ closed his eyes and moaned.

 

“What?” Kevin asked confused.

 

“She asked me but I didn’t want to answer.” AJ said as he sighed.

 

“So how does that make you think she doubts her feelings?” Kevin asked.

 

“Cause it’s what she said after.” Nick told them.  “I told her that you love her, and she shouldn’t doubt that, but then she said it’s not your love she doubts.”

 

“It’s hers?” AJ asked more to himself than to Nick.

 

“What does that mean?” Kevin asked confused.

 

“She means she doesn’t see herself loving me at all.” AJ said as he started to leave the cave.

 

“I don’t really think she meant it like that Alex.” Nick said grabbing AJ’s arm and spinning him to face him.

 

“Well then what the fuck did she mean!?” AJ yelled.  “Since you seem to know, since you’re the one she’s fucking talking to, how about you fill me in!”

 

“Alex you need to calm down.” Kevin said as he reached for his friend but AJ stepped away.

 

“No, no you know what I need.  I need to get the hell outta here, I need to go home.” AJ said throwing up his arms.

 

“What?” Everyone said shocked.

 

“Rexil made sure the people will revolt against me, they’re already starting to, there’s no reason for me to stay here anymore.” AJ said shaking his head.

 

“What about Pixca?” Nalia said.  “What about Rayne?”

 

“You guys can find her without me.” AJ said as he looked at her.

 

“What about Rayne?” Nalia said stepping up to him.

 

“It is alright, Nalia.” Rayne said as she sat in a chair.  AJ looked at her; he didn’t realize she was still here.  “Let him go if he wishes. I now have all the answers I will ever need.” She said standing up and leaving the Healing Springs.

 

Nick said nothing as he walked up to Nalia and took her by the waist, they then left the Springs as well. Everyone else leaving after them and not saying a word to AJ.  He stood there in silence, his world crumbling around him, and he didn’t care how mad everyone else was at him, they weren’t him.  They didn’t loose the one they loved.

 

“You’re Highness?” A Priest said from the entrance way on his left.  AJ looked at him; not saying anything, wondering if that would be the last time he was called that.  “Sir Avit wishes to see you.” The elder Elvaan said. 

 

AJ made his way into the cave and saw Avit lying in the pool of water.  For the first time he saw what he had done to his General.  His face badly bruised, a large gash in his forehead, and his arm was held close to his body in a sling, no doubt AJ had broken it.

 

“Are you alright Sir?” Avit asked.

 

“I should ask you that.” AJ said as he sat on a stone bench by the stone tub.

 

“I will be.” Avit said with a light nod.  “But what about you, you sounded upset outside.”

 

“You heard that?” AJ asked.  Avit nodded slowly.  “Everything is crumbling down around me and it’s not my fault, I can’t do anything to stop it.”

 

“I have never seen you like this before.” Avit said and Aj looked at him confused.  “Is this how you handle things back on Earth?”

 

“Handled things?” AJ said still confused.

 

“When you came here you had a hard time understanding yes, but when Rayne needed you, when these people needed you, you were strong and you faced everything head on, you did not run away.” Avit said as AJ looked down at the stone floor.

 

“Well” AJ said as he took a deep breath and stood up.  “They don’t need me anymore.”  He turned and walked away but what Avit said next made him stop in his tracks.

 

“They need you more than ever Sir.”  Avit said in an almost pleading tone.  AJ stood there, Avit’s words repeating in his head.  He closed his eyes and pushed them away as he continued out the cave door. 

 

 

 

 

 

Rayne ran into her room, her eyes were soaked with tears.  She went right to her Druid chest and began pulling things out of it.  A wolf pelt, some branches, stones of many colours and other Druid knick-knacks.  At the bottom of the chest was a large heavy fur pelt, and as she pulled it out of the chest a bears head followed.

 

It was given to her by Marsa, it was suppose to be given to her by her Druid Mother, but her being Human she never found one.  Druids used the pelts to communicate with the spirits; the bear pelt was used for Phantasm.  It represented the hibernation the body went into.

 

Without putting the other things back into the Chest she ran back out of her room, the bear pelt firmly in her hand.  She walked down the hall towards the back stairs of the Sarila Palace.  Making her way down the stairs she went over the spell in her head, normally it was done with two Druids, but that wasn’t an option right now.  She needed to remember, she needed to know if she really loved him.

 

Her doubts ran through her head, how could she stay with AJ when Dyn needed her so much, why didn’t she try harder to reach out to Dyn, to try and help him.  Why did she hurt him by pretending to love his brother?

 

She walked across the lawn to about the middle of the back courtyard.  She laid the pelt down and then pulled a small jar of sand from her pocket.  Sitting down on the pelt she opened the glass jar.

 

Closing her eyes she began to speak.  “Spirits I call, hear my voice, I am lost and need to be found.”  Her eyes opened and she began to spread the sand around the pelt in a circular motion.  Dropping the jar out of the way she closed her eyes and repeated the words again.  “Spirits I call, hear my voice, I am lost and need to be found.”

 

The wind around her picked up and her hair began to blow around in the breeze, then her head fell forward and like a mothers loving embrace, the breeze laid her down on the bear pelt.  Rayne laid there silently, sleeping as the wind died down around her.

 

 

Chapter 24 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                           Volume II

 

                                                       Chapter 24

 

Rayne’s eyes slowly opened the clouds above her slowly rolled by.  It took her a minute to get her bearings as she sat up and looked around.  She saw she wasn’t in Sarila anymore but in Winnol.

 

“Hello” A voice said from behind her and she turned around.  She gasped as she saw the semi transparent image of herself looking back at her.  “Looking for something?” She asked, almost like a barmaid, or a business man waiting to take her order.

 

“I do not know.” Rayne replied a little confused.

 

“Well you are here, so you must be looking for something.” She told herself.

 

“Why am I in Winnol? I am supposed to be home.” Rayne said looking around.

 

“But you are at home...” She said tilting her head a little.

 

“Winnol is not my home Sarila is.” Rayne said looking back at herself.

 

“Well your home is where Alex is and Alex lives here.” She said. “You prefer living in Winnol because you can sense him even when he’s not there.”

 

“You remember Alex?” Rayne said and a small smile crossed her face.

 

“Of course.” She said and then her face frowned.  “You lost Alex.”

 

“No.” Rayne said shaking her head.  “I mean maybe, I do not know, I do not remember him.”

 

“You do not remember Alex?” She said almost gasping.

 

“Stop repeating me!” Rayne said annoyed.

 

“I am sorry but if you can forget Alex, who knows what else you will forget.” She scoffed.  “Come with me then.” She told herself as she turned around and started walking towards the tree castle.

 

“It was not my fault, forgetting him.” Rayne said after a moment of walking behind her.  “Rexil, she took my memory of him.”

 

“Rexil, that old hag.” She sighed.  “I am not surprised; she hated Alex more than she hated us.”

 

“Really?” Rayne said a little shocked.

 

“Oh yes.” She nodded.  “Imagine how angry an Elvaan loving us would make her or the fact her King was or use to be Human.”

 

“Did we…I mean did I love him?” Rayne asked.

 

“More than anything”

 

“I do not see how my love for him would have been stronger than my love for his brother.” Rayne said as the girls walked through the city.

 

“Dyn!” She said spinning around.  “Dyn was an evil angry person, he did not love us and maybe we did love him but Alex is so much more than his brother.”

 

“He…is?” Rayne said surprised by her own reaction.

 

“Come.” She said as she nodded her head.  Rayne watched as her image walked further down the street.  She had to jog a little to catch up to her when she had realized she should follow. 

 

“Where are we going?” Rayne asked herself as they walked down the empty Winnol Streets.  Her image didn’t say anything as she turned down another street and as Rayne looked around she realized they were heading to the Springs. 

 

“Why are we going to the Healing Springs?” Rayne asked but her image said nothing, just lifted her hand and motioned for her to follow.

 

When they walked in Rayne was stunned to see no one around.  Usually there were Priests walking around from cave to cave.  Her image stopped in the middle of the open area and turned to face her.

 

“I know this place all too well, why are we here?” Rayne asked but before her image said anything and Rayne wasn’t even sure she was going too, the chatter and yelling of men behind her distracted both of them.

 

“We have been trying to bring her back since we got to her in the Castle.” A Priest said to Kel’Ryn the Elder Priest as they walked through the entrance.

 

“Where is she now?” KelR’yn asked.

 

“In that cave there.” The Priest said as he pointed to the stone opening.

 

“Who is in there?” Rayne asked herself.

 

“We are.” She replied.  Well were.”

 

“When was this?” Rayne asked.

 

“After you brought back Alexander’s friends.” She said.  “Forgot that too?” Rayne could only nod.  “Rexil, she was in our mind, toying with us, made us look like we had lost our minds.  We had to try; we knew she was going to hurt us, so we had to try.”

 

“Why? Why did we do it?” Rayne asked not bothering to correct herself.

 

“So Alex would not be alone.” She said as she looked at the cave door.  The sound of more people running through the entrance stopped anymore questions Rayne had. 

 

Watching as AJ walked right past her as he walked over to the people standing around the cave.  The people parted and AJ started to walk towards the opening but he stopped when Kel’Ryn came out.

 

“Kel’ Ryn what are you doing here?” AJ asked a little stunned to see the Bishop of the Priest Covenant away from Pera.

 

“I was in town today meeting some friends; one of the Priests here retrieved me.” He said with a very soft spoken voice.  

 

“How is she can I see her?” AJ asked as he started walking towards the cave opening.  Kel’Ryn reached out his hand and stopped AJ by the arm.  He looked at the Bishop confused.

 

“King Alexander.” He said as AJ turned to look at him.  “I am sorry.”  AJ shook his head not wanting to hear the words.  “Queen Rayne has passed.”

 

“What?” Kevin said breathless, even Rayne gasped at the words.

 

“No” AJ said shaking his head.

 

“I know this will be hard to except it is why the Priest came and asked me.” He told AJ but AJ didn’t say anything he stood there shaking his head.

 

“What about Raising her?” Brian asked as he walked up to Kel’Ryn.  The Priest looked at Brian shocked to see him there.

 

“They tried all the way down here.” Kel’ Ryn told them.  “And even I tried.”

 

“No” AJ whimpered and everyone looked at him, including Rayne but her eyes never left him.

 

“Alex.” Kevin said as he walked up to his friend but AJ turned away and walked to the cave.  Without thinking twice Rayne picked up her skirt and followed him.

 

When she ran inside she stopped dead when she saw him pulling her body out of the water.  She could not remember him but when she saw AJ crying as he pulled her out, her heart ached for him.  Kel’Ryn protested and even his friend Kevin said something but he yelled at them in anger. It was so loud it made her jump.

 

“Am I…dead?” Rayne asked staring at her and AJ.

 

“Yes.” Her image replied. “Casting the spell to bring back his friends and Rexil throwing us across the room, I think we had passed before we even hit the table.”

 

“King Alexander I must ask that you stop this immediately.” Kel’Ryn demanded and Rayne watched as AJ pushed on her chest, breathed into her mouth, and then started pushing on her chest again.

 

“What is he doing?” Rayne asked.

 

“He’s around here some where but we never got the chance to ask him.” Her image said.  Rayne quickly looked back to her and AJ on the floor when she heard the crackle of a spell.

 

“That was his Lightning spell, a small dose of it, over our heart.” She told herself.  Rayne watched as she gasped for Air and Kel’Ryn rejoiced.  Rayne looked at AJ stunned, did he just, no he couldn’t have.

 

“He gave us life again.” Her image said.  “He loves us so much he did something no Mage should be able to do, he used the Elements to give us life.”  Her image stood in front of her.  “Dyn, Dyn tried to take it away.”

 

“I do not remember any of this.” Rayne said looking away.

 

“Because you lost your memory, ha, so you did lose something.” Her image said.

 

“Do you know how to get it back?” Rayne asked.

 

“No” Her image said with a frown.  “But maybe Rexil knows, since she took it.”

 

“Rexil is dead, Nickolas killed her.” Rayne said sadly.

 

“Really? Well that explains why she has not been around.”

 

“What, Rexil is here?” Rayne asked confused.

 

“At the Druid Park where she always is.” Her image said. 

 

Rayne didn’t say anything to the image of herself as she left the cave, past the people and out of the Springs.  Quickly she ran down the road and back onto the main street.  Running as fast as she could she made her way towards the Druid Park. 

 

The place was empty as she made her way up the front path and not even the lady who greeted everyone was there.  She walked down the hall to the Council room.  Stopping at the doors she waited and listened too see if there was anyone inside.  Carefully placing her hands on the door knobs she turned them and opened the doors. 

 

Rayne walked into the empty, quite room and slowly looked around.  Her footsteps echoed through out the room as she walked towards the center podium. 

 

“Rayne?” She heard a familiar voice say and she looked to her left.

 

“Nickolas, what are you doing here?” She asked.

 

“Dreaming?” Nick asked.  “I was taking a nap, since Alex is ok.”

 

“This makes no sense.” Rayne said looking away.

 

“You’re telling me.” Nick said with a smirk.  “Hey isn’t this that Druid court room.”

 

“Yes but this is my Phantasm I do not know why you are here.”

 

“What’s a Phan..Phan..whatever this place is.” Nick asked.

 

“It is a place where my spirit is free from me.” Rayne said.

 

“I’m not even going to try and understand.” Nick said with a sigh.  “What are you doing here?”

 

“Trying to find my memory.” Rayne said as she sat down on a bench.

 

“Oh.” Nick said remembering what happened at the Springs.

 

“Rexil was supposed to be here, she had my memory.” Rayne said with sadness.

 

“And you can’t get it from her now because…”

 

“Because she’s dead.” Rayne said finishing his sentence.

 

“Because I killed her.” Nick said realizing he could have messed up Rayne’s chances to get her memory back.

 

Rayne nodded with a sigh as she looked down at the ground.  Maybe it wasn’t so bad if she couldn’t get her memory back.  She saw how much Alex loved her, there was no denying now and perhaps if she opened up and got to know him again, she could love him again. 

 

The motion of something walking around made her look up and she saw Nick walking across the Council room.  He was heading over to the bookshelf, with intent on his face.

 

“Is everything alright?” Rayne asked him as she slowly stood up.

 

Nick said nothing as he skimmed along the line of books.  She looked at him confused as he mumbled to himself and then looked down thinking.  His head snapped up and he walked to the other side of the room.  Nick began to pull books from the shelf not paying any attention as they hit the floor.

 

“Here.” Nick said as he reached into the bookshelf and Rayne was surprised to see his arms went in much deeper than the shelf actually was.  She walked over to him as he pulled out a small crystal looking box.  “Is this it?” He asked.

 

“How did you?” She asked confused.

 

“Maybe that’s why I’m here and Rexil’s not.  I did drain her maybe I took your memory along with her energy.” Nick said as Rayne slowly took the box from him. “Don’t ask me how I know that.” He told her

 

When Rayne looked up Nick was gone and she wasn’t in the Council room anymore.  She was back by the Tree Castle where she first woke up here.  Looking back down at the box she watched as it glowed in her hands.

 

“You found it?” AJ said from behind her and she spun around.

 

“So you are here.” She said a little confused.

 

“Yeah, kind of new here, but I have a really good guide.” AJ said with a smile and a nod over her shoulder.  Rayne turned around and saw herself waving at them near the entrance to the Castle court yard.

 

“New here?” Rayne asked.

 

“Well if I get it right, this place holds everything that is apart of you, and I used some of my energy to save you, to bring you back, so now, I am apart of you too.”

 

“I understand.” She said with a light smile.

 

“Well you better get back with that.” He told her with a nod and a light point to the box in her hands.  “I really don’t wanna go back to Earth.”

 

“I know.” She smiled at him.  He smiled back at her and then walked over to the image of herself that had greeted her when she first got there but then stopped and turned around.

 

“One more thing.” He paused and she waited for him to continue. “Tell me about Dyn, tell me the truth, trust what we have and it’ll be ok.”

 

Rayne looked away and looked back down at the box.  With a deep breath she place one hand on top and pulled back on the lid.  The light inside got bright, so bright she had to close her eyes.  When she opened them again she was looking up at the clouds as they rolled by her.  She heard the chirping of birds in the trees around her and she slowly sat up like she had just awoken from a long nap.

 

“Rayne!” She heard his voice shout and she looked back to her Palace.  He was standing at the back doors, her Mother beside him and she took a deep breath as she slowly got to her feet.

 

“What are doing out here?” Her Mother asked as they walked up to her.  She then looked around and saw Rayne’s things on the ground.  “You did this by yourself, Rayne you know how dangerous that is, what if you got lost?”

 

“I knew the risks Mother.” Rayne said as she knelt down and began cleaning up.  She rolled up the bear pelt and brushed her hand along the sand, watching it scatter back into the ground. 

 

“You knew the risks?” Her Mother said angrily.  “I have lost you enough; I do not need to be worried that you are going off into that place without a guide to lead you.”

 

“And what about what I have lost.” Rayne snapped back and then she walked between the two of them, heading straight to the Palace.

 

“Rayne.” AJ said hoping to stop her but she didn’t and disappeared through the back door.

 

“Will you talk to her?” Halian asked.

 

“I’ll try but I might make it worse.” AJ said as he looked from her back to the doors.  Halian lightly smiled knowing he might be right but there was a small plea behind it.

 

AJ back tracked through the Palace, walking back up the stairs and back down the hall.  He had just come from here with Halian when they went to look for Rayne after what happened in the Springs.  When they went into her room and saw she wasn’t there they both began to worry.  Halian opened the window and looked out, that’s when she saw Rayne laying on the grass.

 

Stopping at her bedroom door he took a deep breath and then gently knocked.  There was nothing but silence so he took the knob, then turned it and pushed on the door.  It opened and as he pushed the door further, he saw her on her knees at her Druid chest putting her things away.  He closed the door and then walked over to her.

 

“When you told me what the Phantasm was you said that a Druid never, ever does it alone, the risk of getting lost without a guide...” He started to say but she stopped him.

 

“I had a guide.” She said not looking at him as she put the jar of sand away.

 

“But it was only you there.” AJ said confused.

 

“How could I get lost, if I already was lost?” She said as she finally looked up at him but he looked at her with confusion.  “I was my own guide.”

 

“You?” AJ said confused.

 

“The part of me that I had lost, the part of me that I couldn’t remember, she was my guide.” Rayne told him.

 

“And what did she show you?.” AJ asked. 

 

Rayne looked at him a moment and then stood up.  “She showed me you.”

 

“Me?” He said confused.

 

“She showed me when you saved me, when you raised me.” She told him. “If you can call it that.”

 

“Oh.” He said as he lightly nodded, his mind going back to that night.

 

“I do not understand.” Rayne said as she stepped in front of him.  “I mean I saw it, we were there, you…you pulled me from water.  You started pushing on my chest and breathing into my mouth.” She told him as she looked at him confused.  “You put your hand over my heart and then...” She stopped still in awe of what she saw, even now still not understanding how he saved her.

 

“And then I shocked it.” AJ said quietly.  “With my spell.”

 

“How did you know to do that?” She asked as she placed her hand on his arm.  He looked at her hand and then looked at her.

 

“Everyone’s heart has a little electricity in it, a small shock, sometimes if you can give it another small shot, it will start beating again.” AJ told her as she listened.

 

“Did you learn that on one of your all night trips to the Mage library?” She asked.

 

“Not here, it’s kind of how we do it back on Earth, but I didn’t have any paddles or anything.” He said cracking a small joke he knew she wouldn’t get.  Then his face fell with confusion.  “How do you know about the times I spent in the library?”

 

Rayne stood there a moment looking at him and then she wrapped her arms around him.  Slowly he let his arms wrap around her, still confused on what was going on but longing to have her back in his arms, even if she didn’t remember him. At that moment he didn’t care.

 

“I found what I was looking for.” She whispered.  As the words passed through his ears, his eyes shot open and he quickly pulled away.  He looked at her as her hands slid over his shoulders and down his arms.

 

“What do you mean?” He asked looking at her, looked into her eyes as they filled with tears.

 

“I am sorry I never told you about Dyn.” She said as one tear fell.  “I meant to, I never meant to betray you or anything like that, it was just.” She stopped and took a breath.  “At the time, it was just too hard.” She explained. “He showed up with Ignis, Ignis as my mother something I had just found out, He took Kevin and then…” Rayne stopped remembering seeing her Mother run her through with a sword.  “But I came back and you were there.  That night when I left the Springs, I know I said no but I never got a chance to explain.”

 

 

“Explain?” AJ wondered.

“When you asked me if I had felt the same way, I said no because at that point I knew what love was, the love you showed me.  When I saw him enter when you announced you were staying, I knew that wasn’t the Dyn I knew.  He told me about his fears of Tsa and Nati going to Pomic, he told me he was going with them and then he told me how he felt.”

 

“What did you say?” He asked.

 

“I told him that I loved him but I asked him to stop the distrust of his Father, he said nothing and left.  That was the last time I saw him until he walked into the Auditorium. I knew then the Dyn I knew was gone.”

 

“And when you went down to talk to him?” AJ asked

 

“We had just shared something special the night before.” She looked down at his hands as her fingers tangled in his and then looked back up at him. “When I went to talk to him I asked him why.” Rayne paused again.  “He was so angry at Marsa, I never got a chance to ask him but I think he saw it happen.  I realized he was lost and I realized there was no love and there was just doubt.”

 

“Doubt?”

 

“Did he really love me or was it just to get back at Marsa because he knew I was a Guardian.  A minute later he drags me through the Castle and onto the ship.” She stopped talking and closed her eyes. “And then it just didn’t matter anymore.”

 

Rayne pulled herself back into his arms.  “Please do not go Alex; I am sorry I did not tell you I really am.”

 

“Rayne” AJ said his voice stunned and confused.

 

 “I remember when I knew I loved you, and I remember what you did for me.” She said as her fingers drifted down his pointed ear. “We will deal with the people, they will see if was not you, I am sure they know it was not and those radicals are just fueling it.” She told him.

 

“What happen in the Springs, Rayne I…I was.”

 

“I know.” She said with a light smile.  “I can not imagine what you were going through and I did not help by going on about Dyn so much.” 

 

His eyes dotted around her face as his fingers drifted down her cheek and down her neck, resting on her shoulders.  He looked into her eyes and through the redness, the wet eyelashes and the tears themselves he saw love looking back at him.  He sighed in relief and then kissed her. 

           

 

 

 

Chapter 25 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                           Volume II

 

                                                      Chapter 25

 

When their lips slowly pulled away they rested their foreheads together.  They kissed again not moving from in front of Rayne’s Druid chest.  For AJ it had felt like an eternity since he had kissed her, since he had touched her and he didn’t want it to end but the sound of someone knocking at the door pulled them apart.

 

“I’ll get it.” He whispered as the back of his finger brushed down her cheek.

 

“Tell them to go away.” She whispered back.  He lightly smiled and kissed her quickly.  AJ walked over to the door and opened it; he smiled when he saw Halian on the other side.

 

“How is she?” Halian asked.

 

“She’s fine.” AJ said back with a light smile and he stepped back for her to walk in.  Rayne’s Mother walked into the bedroom and saw Rayne closing up her chest.

 

“I am sorry I got angry Rayne it is just..” Halian started to say but Rayne interrupted her.

 

“It is fine Mother but I hope you understand I needed to do it.” Rayne told her.

 

“But why alone, I may not be a Druid but a Mage is better than nothing.” Halian said as she walked over to her.

 

“Mother please.” Rayne said sternly.

 

“Maybe we should talk about this later.” AJ said not wanting them to fight.

 

“We are not talking about now or ever, I needed to do it, I did it, end of story.” Rayne said looking at her Mom.  “And it worked so I do not see the need to get so angry.”

 

“What do you mean it worked?” Her Mother asked.

 

“I mean it worked, I got my memory back, well most of it.” She said holding her head.  “I really need to rest.”

 

“Are you ok?” AJ asked quickly as he walked up to her.

 

“Yes, just something that happens afterwards, a little light headed that is all.” She told him as she took his hand and he walked her over to the bed.

 

“Should you go to the Springs?” AJ asked.

 

“No” She replied quickly.  “I…I have seen enough of that place for now.” She told him and he lightly nodded.

 

“Lie down and rest a little bit, I’ll talk to her ok?” AJ told her as he fixed her pillow and she laid back onto it.  He waited for her to close her eyes and then he walked over to her Mother.

 

“Is it true?” Halian asked.

 

“She told me what happened, well some of it, when she was there, I think she remembers.” AJ said as he looked back at her.  “Whatever she did in that Phantasm it seems to have worked.”

 

“But still..” Halian said worried about what could have happened to Rayne.

 

“She is a Guardian Halian, you yourself know how strong and powerful we are, I’m sure that place is different for her than for other Druids.” He told her placing his hand on the side of her arm in comfort.

 

Halian smiled at him.  “It is good to have you back as well.” 

 

He looked at her in confusion at first and then he remembered how he had been acting.  With a light smile and a nod AJ acknowledge what she meant.  Rayne’s Mom returned the smile.

 

“I will let Jaina know what has happened.” She told him and he nodded.

 

“Thanks.” He replied and then Halian left the room.  Watching her as she laid with her eye closed on the bed, he waited for the door to click close and then he spoke. “She’s gone.”

 

“Thank you.” Rayne said as she slowly sat up.

 

“So was that just a fake out, to get your Mom out of the room?” He asked as he walked over.

 

“A fake out?” She asked him a little confused.

 

“Faking the little dizzy spell” He told her with a light smile.

 

“Oh.” She said understanding.  “No, that was real but I am feeling better now.”

 

“Rayne?” He said quietly and she looked at him with puzzlement.  “What happened?” He asked.

 

“What happened?” She asked not sure what he was asking about.

 

“In the room, in the Palace, the night you…” He stopped not wanting to say the words even if he did save her.

 

“The night I died?” She asked and he could only nod.

 

“What happened in the Palace, how did you end up in Winnol, what did Rexil do to you?” He asked as his eyes started to well with tears. 

 

Carefully she placed her hands on top of his and looked at him.  “I was sleeping and I heard someone enter the room, I thought it was you so I called out to you but you did not answer.” She told him.  “I heard something by the curtain and when I pulled it back.” She stopped speaking the face on the other side of the curtain flashed through her mind.

 

“It disappeared but it would still talk to me, I tried to call out for help but the voice just mocked me.”  She told him as he held her.  “I remember Jaina coming in and that is when I ran out of the room, I heard Jaina shouting but I did not want to stop.”

 

“Do you know what she was saying?” AJ asked.

 

“No” Rayne shook her head.  “I was in such a panic I barely knew where I was.”

 

He frowned at her as he raised his hand and brushed her hair from her face.  “She tried to get you to stop, she almost caught up to you but you went into the globe room and left for Winnol, she tried to follow but you shut it off on her.”

 

“Did she not see it?” Rayne asked.

 

“No beautiful, you were the only one who could.” AJ told her.

 

“Oh” Rayne said realizing how that must have made her look to others, if others saw her.  “But when I realized it was Rexil she attacked me, she threw me through the bedroom door, I attacked her with spells.”

 

“There was no one there Rayne it was just you, from what the people who saw you on the second floor.” He said.  “They said you were throwing yourself down the hall, you were casting spells at thin air and then you threw yourself into the guest room doors.”

 

“But…But Rexil was there I saw her.” Rayne said in some disbelief.

 

“I know, I know she was what ever spell she was using on you, it was meant to make you look crazy, but I know it was her.”  He said to her as he took her by the arms.  “I’m just glad you’re ok now. When I thought Rexil had killed you before I could get to you.”

 

“She did not kill me.” Rayne said and he looked at her.

 

“What do you mean?” AJ asked.

 

“It was the spell I conjured it most likely took all of my energy.” Rayne said to him.

 

“I’m still confused.” His face still puzzled.

 

“It was me that brought your friends back.” Rayne told him.

 

“You, how?” AJ asked.  “How is that even possible?”

 

“Your friends were not born here but yet when they came here they still inherited the talents of this land, their Aura’s must be special and if I could find them, if I could find their Life Energy perhaps I could ask the Spirits to bring them back and it looks like they did.” Rayne told him. 

 

“Why, why did you do it?” AJ asked.

 

“Because I knew Rexil was going to hurt me, I did not know if I would see you again, so I needed to make sure you would be ok.” She told him.  “When I realized where I was I searched for their Aura and they were weak and hard to see but I found them.”

 

“How did you know?” AJ asked.  “How did you know it would work?”

 

“I was not sure that it would.” She looked at him and took a deep breath.  “I had to try for you, I saw what everything was doing to you, the stress you were under and I started thinking if your friends were here it could possibly help, they could find Nickolas for you.”

 

“Then I was in the room with Rexil and I thought, I thought I would never see you again, and then I thought about you, how you would react and thought of you going through that alone, I could not let that happened so I decided to ask the Spirits.” She said as she looked down at her fingers.

 

“I hope they were not upset, especially Brian.” Rayne said as AJ pulled her into his arms.

 

“No.” He said with a light smile.  “You brought the wives with them, so they are actually ok right now.”

 

“I did?” Rayne said a little stunned.  “Oh I did.” She spoke as she remembered meeting the girls.  “That I am not sure how I did it.” Rayne looked at him with a frown and he smiled at her.

 

“It’s ok we’ll get them home.” AJ told her as he cupped the side of her cheek in the palm of his hand.  “I’m just glad you are ok now, you remember and you’re safe back with me.”

 

Rayne smiled at him and then pulled him to her lips and kissed him.  “Can we go on that trip now?” She asked as their lips drifted apart.

 

“Trip?” He said confused at first.  “Oh the trip.” AJ remembered.  He thought about the rings sitting in his top drawer.  “Yes, we’re going on that trip, now if you want too.”

 

“I want to; before the people know I’m ok, before the parties start.” She smiled.  “Just us and no one else.”

 

“Then let’s get you packed and then we’ll go to Winnol and get my things.” AJ said as he took her hands.  “I want to go see Avit first too.”

 

“How is he?” Rayne asked and he looked away.

 

“He’s doing better, he still needs to sit in the Springs for an hour, but he’s getting stronger.”

 

“Have you talked to him yet?” She asked.

 

“Yeah.” He nodded quickly.  “He heard me yelling, I guess he was awake. He said I was running away, he asked me if that’s the way I was back on Earth.”

 

“Was it?” She asked.

 

“Somewhat yeah.” He nodded.  “I guess when I thought I had lost you; I slipped back into old habits and the whole Dyn thing didn’t help much.”

 

Rayne frowned and sighed.  “The Dyn you knew was not the Dyn I loved. I wish you could have known him.”

 

“Me too.” AJ said as he took her hand back into his.  “Well you better get packing; I’m going to go let your Mom know.”

 

“Alright.” She replied with a light smile. 

 

Rayne watched as he stood up from the bed, his robe dancing around his feet, his long dark hair looked almost a midnight blue in the sunlight.  His jewelry clanked as he adjusted his robe.

 

“Alex.” She said as she quickly stood up.  He stopped and turned around, looking at her a little confused, wondering what she wanted.  Rayne walked over to him and without missing a beat, she kissed him.  When they pulled away he looked at her a little puzzled.  “Hurry back.” She lightly smiled.

 

 

 

 

“Hey sleepy head it’s about time.” Kevin barked as Nick walked into the room.

 

“Huh?” Nick said as he rubbed his eye.  “Oh, yeah, I guess I was more tired than I thought.” He shrugged. 

 

“Well while you were sleeping we were reading.” Kevin said as Nick sat down.

 

“Anyone hear from Alex or Rayne?” Nick asked and everyone looked at him.

 

“No, why?” Nalia said confused.

 

“I was just wondering.” Nick said wondering if what he had was a dream or not.  “So you were reading, anything new?”

 

“We might have found a way into Ashmourn.” Kevin told him handing him the book that had the Elvaan Myth story.  “The Human who go out to tell that story.” Kevin said using his fingers in a quotation motion at the word Story.  “He got out through a cave that was at the bottom of the Castle, the book says it leads to a small rock hallway.”

 

“Rock hallway?” Nick asked confused.

 

“I think it means the Canyon.” Nalia told him.  “There were small caves all along it, perhaps there are more, further up from where we ran into that demon.”

 

“Well it’s something.” Nick said as he looked around.  “Should we go check it out?”

 

“We’re still mapping a plan out.  Different chapters talk about different places, but Nick this place, it doesn’t sound to pretty.”  Kevin told him.

 

“A Castle of Lava I would think not.” Nick said to him.  “Besides who said you were going?”

 

“Why wouldn’t we?” Howie asked.

 

“It’s really dangerous, I’m not putting you guys or the girls in any danger.” Nick said shaking his head.

 

“And what you think you can walk in there with just the three of you?” Kevin said.

 

“Three?” Nalia said.   “Do you not mean four?”

 

“Like Rayne’s going to be any help.” Brian said with a light laugh.

 

“Ahem.” AJ said as he cleared his throat and everyone jumped looking at him.

 

“Smooth ya prick.” Nick whispered to Brian and Brian shot him a look.

 

“Is everything ok?” Nalia asked ignoring the whispering.

 

“Yes everything is fine.” Rayne said nodding her head.  “Did you find something?”

 

“Yeah they found a way to get in.” Nick said as he stood up from the couch.

 

“Maybe.” Kevin spoke up quickly.

 

“Yeah, so I say we go in there and put that place out.” Nick said as he sat on a table.

 

“I say we don’t rush it, we’re still finding things out about the place.” Kevin said looking back at Nick.

 

“I think Kevin’s right.” AJ said.

 

“You do?” Kevin replied kind of surprised.

 

“Yeah, beside, Rayne and I are going away for a few days.” He told them.

 

“What, you are, why?” Nalia said puzzled.

 

“Alex is taking me to Pera for some well needed rest.” She said as she looked at him with a light smile.

 

“To Pera.” Kevin said looking at AJ but AJ just smiled at him.

 

“Is everything alright?” Nalia asked as she walked up to Rayne.

 

“Yes everything is fine.” Rayne smiled.  “I just need some time to rest; I have been on a long journey.”

 

“You allowed Drania to do the Phantasm?” Nalia asked even though she knew what Rayne meant by journey.

 

“No, I did it on my own.” Rayne told her.

 

“Rayne.” Nalia said stunned.

 

“Do not please.  I have already heard it from Mother, I am just happy I found what I had lost.” Rayne told her as she slightly raised her hand.

 

“Found what you lost?” Howie asked confused.

 

“So that was it, it worked?” Nick asked.

 

“Yes, thank you.” She said with a light smile.

 

“Tight.” Nick said with a nod.

 

“What?” Nalia and AJ said at the same time.

 

“Don’t look at me, I dunno.” Nick said still confused by the dream, or whatever it was.

 

“Since Rexil had my memory I had hoped she would be in the Phantasm, that a piece of her was with me because of the spells she had used and I was right, but she was gone because Nick had killed her.” Rayne told them.  “But he just didn’t kill her, he drained her, so in essence, he absorbed her energy and with it my memory.”

 

“So why was he in the Phantasm?” AJ asked.

 

“I am still not sure on that.” Rayne said with a sigh.  “If Rexil died her link should have as well, maybe because I was around him, somehow he could have taken her place, I still do not really know.”  Rayne said and they could tell she was confused.  “Either way he figured out where Rexil had it and gave it back to me.”

 

“I’m just glad you didn’t lose it for good because I killed her.” Nick sighed.

 

“So then you remember?” Nalia asked.

 

“Yes I do.” She said with a smile.

 

“Then can you tell us what the heck happened in that room, how did we get here? Was it Rexil? Cause if it was I can deal with death as a suitable punishment.” Brian said nodding.

 

“Brian.” Kevin said looking at him.

 

“It was me.” Rayne said and everyone looked at her.

 

“What?” They all said even Nalia.

 

“It was something I had thought of because of everything that was going on with me, being sick and everything.  But then I was alone in the room with Rexil and I did not know what was going to happen to me so, I asked the Spirits to bring you here, incase Alex needed you.”  She told them.

 

“She did it for me, so I wouldn’t be alone.” AJ said as he looked from them to her.

 

“I thought Druids couldn’t do that?” Brian said confused.

 

“They can not.” Nalia said looking at Rayne. 

 

“Well I am not just some ordinary Druid.” Rayne said with an almost proud smile.

 

“So when are you going?” Nick asked.

 

“Right now, we just came to say goodbye and let you know we’ll be back in a few days.” AJ said as he wrapped his arm around her waist.

 

“Can I talk to you for a moment?” Nalia asked.

 

“Of course.” Rayne said with a nod.  She lightly smiled at AJ and then walked over to the other side of the room with Nalia.  His smile not leaving his lips as he watched her.

 

“So, Pera?” Kevin said from beside him and it startled him, almost making him jump.

 

“Yep.” He nodded as he looked from Kevin to Rayne.

 

“Are you going to be..?” Kevin asked.

 

“Yep.” AJ nodded his eyes not breaking from her.

 

“Well then I wish you the best man, and I’m glad everything’s working out.” Kevin told him as he patted his friend on the back.

 

“Me too.  Still kind of surreal that she remembers, felt like I was never going to get out of that nightmare.” He sighed.

 

“Do you have the.”

 

“Yea, picked them up when I went to Winnol to pack, I was able to sneak down to my desk and grab them.” He said with a sly smile.

 

“Then I guess we’ll see you when you get back.” Kevin said as he pulled AJ in for a hug.

 

“Ready to go?” Rayne asked as her and Nalia walked up to them.

 

“Very.” AJ said as he took her hand.

 

“Have a good time you two.” Nick waved as they headed to the doors.

 

“So anyone wanna tell me how she got her memory back?” Brian asked still very confused.

 

“I don’t even get it and I was there dude.” Nick said with a small laugh.

 

“Yeah why were you there?” Howie asked looking at him.

 

“As if, pervert.” Nick scoffed at him.  “You heard her; I probably took Rexil’s place because I drained her energy.” He shrugged.  “So was it a dream?” He asked Nalia.

 

“For you it was for her, it was much more than that.” Nalia told him.

 

“Well I’m glad I could help. Carter saves the day again” Nick said with a smile and then a barrage of throw pillows rained down on him.

 

 

 

 

           

 

 

 

Chapter 26 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                          Volume II

 

                                                      Chapter 26

 

Rayne sat on the back of the Gryphon, her arms wrapped around AJ as they flew over the tall trees of the Winnol forest.  It had been a long time since she had been over this area. She came here years ago with her Father, meeting Kel’Ryn and the Elvaans of Pera.  The city was large, but not as big as Winnol.  Most of the city in trees and cliffs, long bridges connecting each of the buildings and homes.  Her Father told her this is how the Elvaans use to live, until Pixca built the tree Castle and many of them moved up North. 

 

Her eyes drifted from the ground to Alex and the thought of everything that had happened made her frown.  It hurt to know someone hated you so much for something you had no control over.  She never chose to be a Druid, it was given to her by Pixca, why Pixca chose a Human and not the Talent’s race of Elvaan she doesn’t know.  When she found out she was a Guardian she had hoped it would change how Rexil felt about her, but it didn’t, it made it worse, and Alex paid for it.

 

Drifting her lips down his neck she lightly kissed him and he leaned back a little, into her arms.  She remembered back to just moments ago, when she was in her room putting her things away, she had thought about what she saw, Alex saving her, bringing her back to life.  Even with her memories of him she was still in awe he would try something like that.  But then again it was her who went beyond what a Druid could do for him, bringing his friends back.

 

Rayne looked over AJ’s shoulder and smiled when she saw the Winnol flag flying high above the Pera Gryphon Tower, well it wasn’t really a tower, more like a tree.  AJ landed the Gryphon and helped Rayne down from the giant bird.

 

“You’re Majesty, it is an honor to have you and Queen Rayne here.” A tall slender young Elvaan said.  “Kel’Ryn has asked me to show you to your cottage. My name is Jaimson if you need anything I will be happy to help”

 

“Thank you.” AJ said as some servants took their bags from the Gryphon.

 

AJ and Rayne followed the Elvaan along the bridge that hung from the Gryphon tower to another building.  They walked along more bridges their eyes looking around at the beauty of the City. For AJ it had been the first time he was there, and it felt like it to Rayne as well, having not being there since she was little.

 

“Your cottage is this way.  It is the only cottage that is somewhat away from the city.” Jaimson said as he led them away from the city.  When they reached a smaller bridge they turned onto it and it led them right to their cottage.  Jaimson opened the door for them and let the couple enter first.

 

The cottage may have appeared small on the outside but the inside told a different story.  They stood in a large living area with couches and chairs and yes even a fire place.  The cottage looked like it continued in a circle, with the bedroom on one side of the room and the dinning room on the other.  Rayne wondered if the two rooms wrapped around to meet on the other side of the tree.

 

“There is a balcony off of the bedroom, incase you choose to have breakfast out there.  Someone will come to you every morning, afternoon, and evening to take your order.”

 

“Cool thank you.” AJ said with a nod.

 

“If there is anything else you need, please feel free to ask.” Jaimson said with a bow.  “I will leave you now so you could get settled.”

 

“Thank you.” AJ said again as he walked the man to the door.

 

“Again it is an honor to have the both of you here.” The man said with a smile and a bow.  They said goodbye and AJ closed the door.  He turned around and looked at Rayne.

 

“Alone at last.” He said with a smile.  When he walked over to her she wrapped her arms around his neck and hugged him. 

 

“This is perfect.” She whispered as they held each other.

 

“Only the best for you.” He replied as they pulled away.  “Let’s go see the balcony.”  She smiled and he took her hand as they headed into the bedroom. 

 

When they walked into the room they both stopped and looked around, the bed not on any kind of stand or frame sat on the floor in the middle of the room.  Long silk like blankets in the Winnol green laid across it, pillows of the same material and colour sitting in a pile at the head of the bed.

 

“That’s sweet.” AJ smiled as he pointed to the bed and Rayne lightly laughed.

 

Two large green curtains hung down the wall and AJ walked over, pulling them back, revealing two large glass doors leading to a balcony.  He opened the doors and walked outside, a small metal table sat in the corner with two chairs on either side.  Placing his hands on the thick railing he looked out to the trees around him and that’s what they were, trees.  No houses in them, no prying eyes, just them.  AJ looked down when her arms wrapped around him from behind. 

 

“I hope you don’t go climbing these trees and break your arm again.” AJ said with a sly smile.

 

“What?” She said confused as she pulled away.  “How did you know about that?”

 

“Your Mom told me.” He said as he turned around and faced her.  “When you were in the Springs, we had a talk and she told me that story.”  Rayne lightly smiled as she looked away.  “How come you don’t talk about your child hood? I’ve told you all about mine.”  He asked as he sat down in the chair.

 

“What is there to tell.” She said as she looked at him.  “You did so many amazing things when you were little and then when you joined the group.  I spent most of mine alone in Winnol, or in my room in the Palace.”  She said at it made him frown.

 

“What about Nalia? Or Dyn?” He said reluctantly and it even shocked her he said his name.

 

“I only saw Nalia when I went home for visits and Dyn was at his school, the Mage School.  He would come and see me when he could but Rexil did not like when he was around so he could never really stay long.”

 

“So she even hated on him for being around you?” He asked as she sat down beside him.

 

“Yes, she did not like me talking to any Elvaan, especially King Marsa’s son.” She said as she looked at him.  AJ watched as her eyes got lost in thought and then she smiled.

 

“What?” AJ asked her knowing she was remembering something.

 

“When ever Rexil would get upset after finding Dyn helping me study, answering questions I had about the Elvaans, she would kick him out.  There would always be a servant from the Castle show up from Marsa inviting me to dinner.” She smiled.  “I knew it was Dyn going home and telling his Father about Rexil and it was Marsa’s way of getting back at her.”

 

“Why did you two wait so long to tell each other?” AJ asked.

 

“Alex are you sure you want to talk about this?” She asked as she placed her hand over his as it sat on the table.

 

“Yes.” AJ said to her.  “I want to know everything about you, I know who you are now, I want to know who you were, even if you were a quiet girl who didn’t do anything fun cause people are assholes.” Rayne smiled he always had a way with words.  Then he stood up and walked up to her, she looked up at him and watched as he knelt down in front of her.  “And I want to know who you’re going to be.” AJ said as he took her hands.

 

“I wanted to make sure I did this right.” He said reaching into his pocket.  He took a breath and ran the words he had practice over and over in his head.  Holding the rings in his hand he held them out in front of her.  “In my hand I hold two rings, this ring is for the love I have for you, the love I share with you and this ring is for the love you have for me and the love you share with me.”

 

“Alex” Rayne said a little breathless.  She had never seen an Elvaan proposal as they were only ever done in private.  When he opened his hand and the one ring sat in his palm she looked up at him, tears forming in her eyes.  “I ask that we become one that our bond be completed now and forever.  I ask that you wear these rings as a symbol of that bond.”  He said as he looked into her eyes. 

 

“Yes.” Rayne blurted out.  “Of course I will.”  AJ lightly laughed at her reaction as he slipped the rings on her finger.  As the rings rested at the bottom of her finger his fingers slid through hers and closed over her hand.  Leaning up he kissed her as his other hand gently wrapped around the back of her neck, his fingers softly tangling into her hair.

 

 

 

 

 

“I hope AJ’s having a good vacation.” Howie huffed as he plopped down in his chair.

 

“I’m sure he is.” Kevin said and they looked at him.

 

“I know that smile, you know something.” Brian said pointing at his cousin.  “He knows something.” He said looking from Kevin to everyone else in the room.

 

“So what if he did it’s not like it’s our business.” Kristin said looking up from her book.

 

“And you told the wife, come on, tell us.” Brain pouted.

 

“Dude, I know nothing.” Kevin said getting up and away from Brian.

 

“Bullshit.” Nick faked a cough trying to muffle the word.  He looked up in time to see Kevin shooting him a look.

 

“I’m going to bug you until you break.” Brian said to him.

 

“Well now you’ve got my interest.” Howie said sitting back in his chair.

 

“Come on guys drop it.” Kevin sighed.

 

“No one do a damn thing until he tells us, he can only take us not working for so long.” Leigh B piped up and Kevin rolled his eyes.  They all started to put their books down and look at him, even Nalia.

 

“Fine but when they get back you have to act surprised.” Kevin said looking around.

 

“Fine.” Everyone said as they perked up, realizing they were going to get it out of him.

 

“AJ told me he’s been planning this trip for a while but then she got sick, so he waited, then he was going to take her anyways but then the whole thing with Rexil happened and he never got a chance to.” Kevin told them.

 

“I thought it was a spare of the moment thing?” Brian asked.

 

“I think I remember her mentioning something about him taking her to Pera?” Nalia said not a hundred percent about her memory.

 

“Yes.” Kevin nodded.  “And while he’s there he’s going to ask her to marry him.”

 

“Get out!” Leigh B shouted.

 

“About damn time.” Nick sighed.  “Blew my mind he waited this long.”

 

“Are you sure about this?” Nalia asked.

 

“Yeah I was able to ask him before he left and he said he brought the rings with him.” 

           

            “Two rings?” Brian said confused.

 

            “It’s an Elvaan thing.” Kevin said with a shrug.  “One ring for him and one ring for her

 

“Well why did he bring both now? Knowing him he’d lose one.” Brian said with a laugh.

 

“Because they are getting married as well.” Nalia said and everyone looked at her shocked.  “Did he not tell you how the whole thing works?”

 

“I thought he did.” Kevin said a little irked. 

 

“How what works?” Brian asked.

 

“He gives her both rings a symbol of his love and a symbol of her love, they then spend the night together and the next day complete the bond in a ceremony with just him, Rayne and the Arch Bishop...Kel’Ryn.” Nalia explained.

 

“He never said anything about that.” Kevin said shaking his head.

 

“Well then let’s go to this place.” Brian said standing up as everyone else agreed.

 

“No, we can not.” Nalia said stopping everyone.

 

“Why, we’re his friends we should be there Nal?” Nick said looking at her confused.

 

“But he is doing this by Elvaan ritual which means they share this alone, when they come back and announce it, we can have a celebration with them but that is all.” Nalia told them.  “This is a very private time for an Elvaan couple and we need to respect that.”

 

“Well I’m not going to be able to do any work knowing this.” Howie sighed.  “Let’s go do something.”

 

“Let’s hit the Tavern.” Nick said with a smile.  “Remember last time, D had all the barmaids all over him.”

 

“Really.” Leigh B said raising her eyebrow.

 

“Shut up Nick.” Howie sighed and Nick started laughing.

 

“A break could be good.” Kevin said, even he wanted one after hearing the news.

 

           

 

 

 

Chapter 27 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                          Volume II

 

                                                      Chapter 27

 

Rayne felt a cool breeze brush across her shoulder and it rudely began to wake her from her sleep.  She mumbled in slight protest to being woken up as she rolled over but something was in front of her blocking her from moving anymore.  Slowly she opened her eyes and saw his bare chest.  Tiredly she looked up, a piece of her hair in her face and saw AJ fast asleep.  His one arm above her head, the other slung lightly over her hip. 

 

Sitting up slowly making sure she didn’t lose the blankets that covered her or wake the sleeping man beside her, she looked around.  They were on the balcony and she smiled to herself as she remembered how the kiss in the chair led them here.  Rayne looked down at her finger and saw the silver rings.  Her thoughts were broken by her hair being brushed to the side and two soft lips gently touched her shoulder.

 

“Everything ok?” AJ asked as she looked over her shoulder at him.

 

“Yes” She replied with a smile.  His lips brushed against her shoulder, then he kissed her shoulder, his eyes never breaking from hers and then they brought their lips together. “How did you get everything ready in time?” Rayne asked as they pulled away.

 

“I’ve had this planned for a while, I had planned to take you after the Pomic Celebration but then you got sick.” AJ told her as he sat up more on his arm.  His finger drifted down her arm.  “Then you lost your memory and well I wasn’t going to ask you then.” He said with a light smile.

 

“You have been waiting that long?” Rayne asked.

 

“It was worth it.” He smiled at her.  “There was a time there when I thought I would never be able to ask you.  I thought you had forgotten about me and your feelings for Dyn would never let it happen.”

 

She took his hand and brought it too her lips gently kissing the back of his fingers.  “By the looks of the sky we should start getting ready.” She said as they both looked up

 

“At dawn right?” AJ asked as he gently kissed her neck.

 

“Yes at dawn.” She said quietly as she closed her eyes.

 

 

 

 

Nick sat at the dinning table as everyone sat quietly eating their breakfast.  He poked at his eggs, the thoughts and information floating around in his head.  They scattered when Kevin spoke up.

 

“What time is it?” He asked.

 

“Clock is in the hallway.” Nick said looking up.

 

“Is it dawn yet?” Kevin asked.

 

“I dunno dude.” Nick said frustrated Kevin had been asking Nalia questions about the wedding since last night.  “They’re probably not even coming home today.”

 

“Can we go see them when it’s over?” Kristin asked looking at Nalia.

 

“We’re not supposed to know.” Kevin said to her.

 

“And you’re doing a fine job of covering that up.” Nick sighed as he lifted some eggs to his mouth.

 

“Well I didn’t know they were getting married so soon.” Kevin said quickly.

 

“Are you mad?” Nick said deciding it had been a while since he got under Kevin’s skin.

 

“No, no I’m not mad.” Kevin said as he brushed the question off.

 

“Hmm mad at the fact he’s getting married or mad at the fact you couldn’t be there which one is it.” Nick said as he put his hands under his chin resting his head there.

 

“Shut up Nick. I’m not mad.”

 

“Then seriously what’s with the twenty questions?” Nick asked.

 

“I just want to know how it went and everything.”

 

“What does she wear?” Leigh Anne asked.

 

“I hope clothes.” Nick said looking at her with a freaked out look.  Leigh Anne just rolled her eyes at him.

 

“I mean does she wear a dress, or a robe?” She asked Nalia.

 

“She would be wearing a shawl, most likely green and yellow the family’s royal colours.”  She told them. 

 

“So this will make her Queen of Winnol?” Brian asked.

 

“Yes, and it will make him King of Sarila as well.” Nalia nodded.

 

“He’s a country up on ya.” Kevin said to Nick.

 

“What’s that suppose to mean?” Nick replied and Kevin smiled; now it was his turn to get under Nick’s skin.

 

“Nothing” Kevin said shaking his head, bringing his attention back to his food.

 

“It’s not like a competition.” Nick said looking down at his fork.

 

“Oh, I know.” Kevin said nodding trying to be serious and then he purposely looked over at Nalia.  He then looked back to Nick and lightly smiled as he looked back down to his food.

 

“Dude” Nick said trying to get his attention back but Kevin didn’t move, he just sat there eating his breakfast.

 

“So how much longer are we going to stay here?” Leigh B asked and everyone looked at her.

 

“I mean in Tokia, when can we go back and stay in Winnol, or Kalica where it’s warm.”

 

“I don’t think we’re going to find anything here, the books AJ got us are giving us all the info we need.” Nick said with a shrug.  “So I guess we can go back whenever.”

 

“Good cause I’ve had my fill of snow.” Howie said as he pushed his plate away.

 

“Yes, I need to return and help Halian plan the announcement and celebration for when they return.” Nalia said as she finished her plate as well.

 

 

 

 

AJ walked across another bridge with Kel’Ryn in front of him, they were making their way to a large platform that over looked the land of Winnol.  When they reached the platform he looked down at his green robe.  The stitching was yellow thread and his family coat of arms embroidered on the back.  This robe didn’t close over him like the others did, no buttons up the front, no small hooks or latches holding it closed.  It wrapped around him and a leather belt with an engraved metal carving of the Tree Castle held it closed around him.

 

“You may go get her Royal Highness now.” Kel’Ryn said to Jaimson with a nod.  His servant nodded back and walked down the other bridge towards a small house in the tree on the other side.  When Jaimson disappeared behind the door AJ looked out to the sea of trees below him.  He thought about his Mom, wondered what she was doing at this moment, the moment her son was getting married. 

 

“It is time.” He heard Kel’Ryn say and he turned around looking at the old Elvaan.  His stare was looking in the direction of the house.  He looked over to the bridge and there he saw her.  She was wearing a long green shawl, to AJ it looked like something the Egyptians would have worn or even what the women of India would wear. Her bangs hung down her face with pieces of hair her pulled back.  Rayne’s long curly hair was adorn in beads and jewels and it made AJ smile, to see how beautiful she looked wearing Elvaan garments.  He took a deep breath as she stepped off of the bridge and walked over to Kel’Ryn and himself.

 

“Hi.” He said in almost a whisper as he took her hand.

 

“Hi.” She smiled back.

 

“Let us began.” Kel’Ryn spoke softly as he gently placed his hands together.   “No words need to be spoken, no person need to witness, the love these two beings share is means enough to show Pixca and her home how true this bond is.” Kel’Ryn spoke as Rayne and AJ looked at each other. 

 

“Rayne of Sarila, the rings I hold in my hand completes the bond you two share and now I give it to you to give to Alexander of Winnol, so the bond, the love is now completed.”

 

Rayne took the rings from Kel’Ryn and held it in her fingers.  She then took a deep breath; pushing back the tears that were already flowing and then placed the ring over his finger as she did this Kel’Ryn lit a candle.  “Let this small flame be the guiding light for your spirits and the love they share.”

 

“These two rings come together and let that be a symbol that this love and bond has come full circle, like all of Pixca’s beings.” Kel’Ryn spoke as Rayne slid the ring down his finger, when it lightly tapped against the other ring, she gently twisted it and the two rings locked.  “Solidarity and Unity two separate beings coming together to make one and with Pixca’s blessing may it be for all eternity.”  Kel’Ryn took Rayne’s ring hand and then took AJ’s left hand putting them together in front of them.  He lightly bowed “Praise Pixca.” He spoke with a smile and then let go of their hands.  Kel’Ryn and Jaimson left the platform as AJ and Rayne stood in each others arms as they looked out over Winnol. 

 

“I have something for you.” AJ said as he slowly pulled away.

 

“You do?” Rayne said a little stunned.  AJ reached into his robe pocket and pulled out a tiny silver chain, hooked on the middle of the chain was a small emerald like jewel.

“Avit gave it to me.” He said as he held it in his hands.  “This was Tsa’s, he said Marsa gave it to her after they married and now I want to give it too you.”  AJ unhooked the chain and lifted it up.  It wasn’t a necklace, or a bracelet, but a head piece.  The chain threaded through her hair, the small emerald jewel sitting gently on her forehead.  AJ walked behind her and locked the chain into place.  Slowly he turned her around to face him.  “Beautiful.” He said with a soft smile.

 

Rayne smiled as she looked at AJ, taking her hand back in his they left the platform and walked together down the bridge that AJ had walked down with Kel’Ryn.  When they reached the end of the bridge he turned and helped her, making sure she didn’t trip over her shawl.

 

“Did this just really happen?” Rayne asked with a smile as he took her in his arms.

 

“Yes” He said with a nod as his eyes drifted “Finally.”  Slowly they leaned in and kissed, their eyes not closing until the last second, their lips not wanting to part, and their hands still held onto each other tightly, never wanting to be broken apart again.

 

 

 

 

“There you are.” Kevin said as Nick turned around from the balcony he was leaning on.

 

“Hey” Nick said with a nod.

 

“What’s up?” Kevin asked as he joined him.

 

“Just thinking.” Nick said with a light sigh.

 

“Hey man, I was just busting your balls back there, you don’t have to rush to marry Nalia or anything.” Kevin told him and Nick couldn’t help but laugh.

 

“I’m not thinking about that.” Nick said as he looked back out towards the city of Kalica.  “I mean don’t get me wrong I’ve thought about it but she’s not like that, and she’s been busy getting Kalica back up and running.”

 

“Have you thought about it since things have calmed down?” Kevin asked.

 

“When have things calmed down?” Nick asked with another laugh.  “I thought things were getting better with the ceremony for Pomic and opening that city again but then Rayne got sick, and I got sort of lost, things have been rolling like crazy since.”

 

“What about now?” Kevin asked.

 

“Now? Now we need to find Pixca, we’re close Kevin, I know we are.” Nick said looking at him.  “She’s in that Castle, the closer I got to it, the more I could feel her, she’s even talked to me a few times.”

 

“Really?” Kevin said stunned.  “Does Nalia know?”

 

“Yeah, otherwise I don’t think she would have followed me everywhere.” Nick said with a smirk.

 

“Or she was making sure you didn’t kill yourself.” Kevin told him.

 

“Probably.” Nick admitted honestly.  “You still trippin about AJ and Rayne?”

 

“Naw” Kevin said shaking his head.  “I just hate not knowing.”  Nick smiled good to see some things in Kevin hadn’t changed.  “I’m glad he didn’t leave, it would be a little weird explaining it back home.”

 

“Cause he’s dead?” Nick asked.

 

“Yeah” Kevin nodded.

 

“Well I’m not going anywhere.” Nick said as he stood up straighter.

 

“How are things with you and Rossi?” Kevin asked.

 

“He’s still not talking to me, which makes me think he knows something.” Nick sighed.  “I don’t want to make things worse than they already are, and if we find out what happened there, at the Lava Castle, and this whole thing is the fault of the Dwarves, I dunno.”

 

“It can’t be easy knowing you’re the reason your God is missing.” Kevin said as they both looked out over the city.

 

“Then I’m going to redeem them by finding her.” Nick said with a light nod.  “Hey I had an idea.”

 

“Did it hurt?” Kevin asked as he raised his eyebrows.

 

“Dude” Nick sighed but he smiled anyways.

 

“What’s the idea?” Kevin asked as he laughed at him.

 

“Well there’s going to be a celebration right, so what if we did something for AJ and Rayne at the celebration.” Nick told him.

 

“When you say us you mean Me and the guys?” Kevin asked.

 

“Yeah, why don’t the four of us write a song and sing it for them.” Nick said.

 

“I dunno man we haven’t sung with each other in over three years. Well a year for you.” Kevin said thinking.

 

“There not going to be back for a couple of days and I sorta promised Nalia I would take a break from the whole Pixca thing until this wedding stuff was over.”

 

“So you need something to distract you.” Kevin said nudging him.

 

“Something like that.” Nick said laughing lightly.

 

“I think that’s a great idea man, we should talk to the others.” Kevin agreed.

 

 

 

 

           

 

 

 

Chapter 28 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                          Volume II

 

                                                      Chapter 28

 

Rayne and AJ walked hand in hand through the quiet, dim streets of Winnol. It was late into the evening and the stores and business were closed but they could here the chatter and laughing from the Taverns echo through out the city. They had been married for three days now and both felt rejuvenated from the time they spent alone with each other.  They now looked forward to spending the night as husband and wife at home in Winnol.

 

“Hey!” They heard someone shout and they both turned around.  They looked at the person confused, both of them not recognizing him.  Then as he swayed they realized he was a drunk from the Tavern around the corner.

 

“Let’s go.” Rayne said taking AJ by the arm.

 

“Do not walk away from me, you destroyed my home!” The man yelled as he stumbled at them, he fell to the ground and AJ stopped.  He walked over to the man and reached down to help him up.  “Get away from me!” The man shouted as he pushed AJ back.  

“Alex.” Rayne shouted out as he fell to the ground and she ran over to him. “Are you alright?” She asked concerned.

 

“You destroyed my home, everything in it, you do not care about us, or you would not have let her control you!” The man shouted.

 

“I’m sorry.” Was the only thing AJ could say.

 

“Sorry? You are a Guardian and you let some Druid take you over like a puppet.” The man barked at him.  “You are not sorry.”

 

“Come Alex.” Rayne said as the man started crying.  AJ looked at him stunned and confused, slowly he got to his feet, his stare not breaking from the man.

 

“Yes go, go back to your home!” The man yelled as the two of them started to walk away.

 

“Are you alright?” Rayne asked as they continued down the street.

 

“No” AJ said quietly as he fixed his bag.

 

“He was drunk Alex.” Rayne said with a frown.

 

“But he’s right; I probably did destroy his home.” AJ said as he stopped walking.  Rayne stopped and quickly looked back to see if the man was following them, he wasn’t to her relief.

 

“You know that was not you.” Rayne told him as she took him by the hands.

 

“But they don’t, they need someone to be mad at, they need someone to blame and Rexil’s dead.” AJ said to her as he looked around at the houses.  “They’re going to blame me and they’re not going to want me as their King.”

 

“Yes they will they just need time, you are still a Guardian.”

 

“Yeah some Guardian.” AJ mumbled as he started walking again.

 

“Alex no.” Rayne said grabbing his arm and stopping him.  “Do not let this get too you, it was one Elvaan, one drunk Elvaan.”

 

“Rayne” AJ sighed.

 

“You love these people and they love you, you protected them when no one else would or could and as far as you knew this was not even your home.  They needed a King and you gave them one, they need you more than ever now Alex, do not walk away from them.”  Her words echoed those of Avit and he closed his eyes, taking a deep breath.  “Yes with some of them you will have to rebuild their trust but you will, we will.”

 

He smiled at her lightly, taking her hand and lightly kissing it, he then wrapped her arm through his and they started walking again. They were greeted with warm welcomes by the guards at the Castle doors.  AJ made sure his hand covered her rings, not wanting any word getting out to soon.

 

“Did you want to go see your Mom?” AJ asked as they walked up the stairs.

 

“I can see her tomorrow.” Rayne said with a yawn and it made AJ smile, he wasn’t sure why, it was just one of the things about her that did.

 

“Remember what I said if you want to have a wedding in Sarila it’s ok, from what Avit said it’s a lot like how we had weddings back home so, it won’t bother me.” He told her as he walked down the hall.

 

“It is just ceremony.” Rayne said as she moved closer too him.  “I always liked the Elvaan one better.”  AJ smiled at her and gently kissed her.  When they pulled apart they continued to their room and when the door closed behind them they both breathed a sigh of relief that no one had seen them, able to have one more night together.

 

AJ was the first one to wake up and he quietly got ready for the day, sneaking a quick, light kiss, careful not to wake her before he left.  He walked down the hallways and saw the morning servants walking down the hall.

 

“Good Morning Sir, welcome back.” They all said with a bow as they stopped in front of him.

 

“Good Morning.” AJ replied back to them.  “Would one of you be able to tell the cook Rayne and I will be eating in our room this morning?”

 

“Of course you’re Highness.” The one Female servant said with a bow and then she broke away from the other servants.  He said goodbye to them and then continued down the hall, down the stairs and out of the Castle.  AJ made his way right down to the Healing Springs and he walked up to one of the Priests.

 

“King Alexander it is good to see you again.” The Priest said with a light smile.

 

“Is Avit still here?” AJ asked.

 

“Yes he is and you will be happy to know he will be able to go home today.” The Priest replied.  AJ smiled with a nod and then headed into the cave that Avit was staying in.

 

“Morning.” AJ said when he saw Avit sitting on the edge the pull.

 

“Alex, you are back.” Avit said as he went to stand but AJ motioned for him to stay seated and then he joined him by the pool of water.

 

“Yeah we got back late last night.” AJ said as he sat down.  “I figured you would have been sleeping.”

 

“Did everything go alright?” Avit asked.

 

“Yes.” AJ smiled and nodded.

 

“Then you two are?”

 

“Married and all that jazz.” AJ said with an even bigger smile.

 

“That is wonderful news Sir.” Avit said returning the smile.  “I am glad she is doing better.”

 

“Yeah much better, better than me actually.” AJ said with a sigh.

 

“What do you mean?” Avit asked.

 

“I’m still worried about the people, when Rayne and I were walking home last night we ran into a citizen, he was drunk but he started yelling at me, said I destroyed his home.” AJ told him.  “How can these people trust me as King if I took away everything they have?”

 

“The Guards announced Rexil’s death, they announced that she was behind what happened to you, Queen Rayne’s sickness and everyone in this City knew how she felt about Queen Rayne.” Avit said.

 

“They did?” AJ said a little surprised.

 

“A Human Druid does not go unnoticed and someone who was somewhat verbal about their dislike to her, the people are not stupid Sir.” Avit told him.  “They are hurt, help them rebuild, help them heal and they will forgive and let go.”

 

“I hope you’re right.” AJ said with a light smile.  “So the Priest told me you could go home today.”

 

“Yes most thankful for that.” Avit smiled.

 

“I want you to stay at the Castle.” AJ told him.  “The servants can get you anything you need, if you want anything from home I can get them to get it, but this way you can rest.”

 

“Sir you do not need to do this, what happened to me was not your fault.” Avit told him.

 

“I know.” AJ said.  “I want too; I take care of my family when they need it.”

 

“Thank you Alex.” Avit said and the two men hugged.

 

 “Well let’s see if we can get you out of here now and you can join Rayne and I for breakfast.” AJ said standing up.

 

“Oh I do not want into impose.” Avit said quickly.

 

“It’s ok really.” AJ smiled as he helped Avit stand.

 

AJ went out and saw the Priest who agreed to let Avit go now if he was going to be at the Castle.  So AJ helped his General gather his things and they walked together to the Tree Castle.  When they got there AJ retrieved a servant to let them know Avit would be staying in one of the guest rooms on the second floor and that he would be joining them for breakfast.

 

“Well I will let you get settled, I’ll send someone when Breakfast arrives.” AJ said as he stood in Avit’s room.

 

“Thank you again Alex.” Avit said as he sat on the bed.

 

“No problem.” AJ smiled.  He left the room and walked down to the other end of the hallway, the end where his room was.  Slowly he opened the door wondering if she was still sleeping.

 

“Hello?” A voice said from the bathroom and a second later she walked out in her robe.  “There you are, where did you go?” She asked with a smile.

 

“I went to see Avit.” AJ told her as he sat down on the couch.

 

“How is he?” She asked as she sat down beside him.

 

“Good the Priest let him out today.” AJ said nodding.

 

“Well that is great news.” Rayne said with a smile.

 

“He’s staying here, down the hall actually, I didn’t want him to be alone.” AJ told her.

 

“That is a good idea; he can recover faster if he can rest.” Rayne said.

 

“He’s going to have breakfast with us too, figured we’d have a quiet breakfast just the three of us up here.” AJ told her as he brushed her hair off her shoulder.

 

“What about your friends?” Rayne asked.

 

“Oh I’ll see them later, I’m sure they’re off doing something with Nick and Nalia.” He told her with a smile.  Just then there was a knock at the door.  “I’ll get it.” AJ said as he stood up.  He walked over to the door and opened it.

 

“Breakfast King Alexander.” A servant said with a large tray in his arms.

 

“Sweeet, just set it on the table.” AJ said stepping back.  He waited until the servant had put the tray down.  “Will you tell Sir Avit that Breakfast is ready? He’s in the first guest room.”

 

“Of course you’re Highness.” The servant said with a bow and then left the room.

 

“So how are you feeling, it’s been a couple of days since I asked you.” AJ said as he walked back over to her.

 

“I am fine.” She said with a smile.  “I was worried about us.”

 

“You were?” AJ said a little confused.

 

Rayne nodded.  “It is why I wanted to go on that trip you talked about; I did not want to do anything until I knew we were ok.” She said as he took her hand.

 

“Well I hope you’re not worried anymore.” AJ said as he lifted her ring finger.

 

“No” She smiled.  “I am not worried about anything anymore.”

 

“Good.” AJ said when there was a knock at the door.  “Come in.” AJ shouted just enough for the person on the door to hear.  Slowly the door opened and Avit walked in.

 

“Hey, did you get settled?” AJ asked as he motioned for Avit to sit down at the table.

 

“Yes I did thank you.” Avit said with a light smile, he then looked at Rayne who was getting up from the couch.  “Rayne it is good to see you looking well.”

 

“Thank you.” She smiled.  “And thank you for watching out for Alex while I was sick, I am sure it was not easy.” Rayne said looking at AJ with a sly smile.

 

“No, it was not” Avit said with a laugh.

 

“Hey” AJ said looking at Avit.  “And here I was being nice to you.” He joked.  “I still can kick you out ya know.”

 

“I would like to see you try.” Rayne said.  “I have just as much say as you now.”

 

“Oh crap.” AJ pouted.  Three of them started laughing and continued laughing when someone knocked on the door.  “It’s open!” AJ shouted.

 

“You really need to learn to get up and answer the door.” Rayne sighed.  Avit and AJ continued laughing as the door slowly opened.

 

“Hello.” Rayne smiled as she saw Kevin walk in.

 

“Am I interrupting?” Kevin asked as he walked into the room.

 

“No we were just sitting down to breakfast.” Rayne told him.

 

“What’s up man?” AJ asked as he looked up.

 

“The servant told us you guys were back but you’re having breakfast up here?” Kevin said.

 

“Yeah Avit just got out today so we’re having a little breakfast, to catch up.” AJ said as he nodded.  “We’ll meet up after breakfast.”

 

“Oh, ok alright man, we’ll see you after breakfast than.” Kevin said with a nod.  He said goodbye and let himself out.

 

“I want to say my Congratulations to the both of you.” Avit said as the door closed.

 

“Thank you.” Rayne and AJ said at the same time.

 

“It will give the people something to Celebrate.” Avit said as he cut his ham.

 

“Yes it will.” Rayne said with a smile to AJ.

 

“I’m ready to party.” AJ said with a sigh and Rayne lightly laughed.

 

“Me too.” She nodded.

 

“Really?” Both Elvaans said looking at her.

 

“Yes” She laughed.  “I have been in bed for almost a month, in water for almost half of one, and spent the last week sulking over a man I despise, I am very ready for an Elvaan celebration.”

 

“Despise huh?” AJ said looking at her knowing she was talking about Dyn.

 

“I am a lady and will not say what I really think.” Rayne said looking down at her food.

 

“Nice, bed talk.” AJ joked and Rayne slapped him on the arm.

 

Avit smiled and the heaviness over his heart lifted.  They were laughing and joking, looking at each other like they use too.  He swore to Marsa he would watch over both of them.  Sitting there he watched them quietly as they talked about what to do for a Celebration.  It wasn’t an easy job watching over these two but another crisis done and they seem to love each other more because of it.  Avit smiled and continued eating.

 

 

           

 

 

 

Chapter 29 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                          Volume II

 

                                                      Chapter 29

 

The large outdoor auditorium was full to the doors with people.  Some even sitting on the roof tops of their homes and buildings to get a better view.  Everyone was a buzz with what this announcement was about. Was King Alexander going to step down? Was he going to apologize for what happened? The people quietly talked as they waited for the event to begin.

 

Everyone fell silent when the Winnol anthem began to play and they all looked towards the Castle doors.  Avit was the first to come out and many were surprised to see him there.  The General stopped and waited for six guards to come out and then they were followed by AJ.  The room erupted into whispers again as AJ followed Avit up on stage.

 

AJ took his spot in front of everyone and looked around.  He could see them whispering, leaning from side to side and talking to each other.  Taking a deep breath AJ prepared to address his people.

 

“Citizens of Winnol, I have asked you here for two reasons. The first reason is to ask for your forgiveness.”  He said as he looked around.  “When I first came here I was scared and then when people started telling me this was my home I felt alone but you did not care about that, you accepted me.  Accepted me as a Guardian, as your King, and for that I say Thank You.  In return I chose to stay here, to accept this place as my home and you as my people.”

 

“I swore to protect you, to protect this land and what happened a few days ago were tragic and if there was any way I could have prevented it I would have.  I will personally make sure every home and every building that was destroyed will be rebuilt and I will make sure that your trust in me is restored.”

 

AJ was surprised to see the people clap and some cheering at his words, he quickly looked over to Avit, who smiled lightly at him, and nodded for him to continue. He looked back at everyone as the cheering began to calm.

 

“Rexil has taken many things from you and from me as well but I am pleased to announce that the sickness Queen Rayne of Sarila had been effected by is now gone and her memory has been returned to her as well.”  AJ smiled as the people started clapping again.  “With that being said I now have an announcement to make.”

 

“I would like to announce to you personally that four days ago, Queen Rayne and I were married in Pera.” He announced and at first the crowd was shocked, they whispered on whether or not they heard him right.  When they had confirmed with each other they had, they began to cheer.  “We were married in a traditional Elvaan wedding and we now share this news with you.”  AJ looked at Avit who nodded and then motioned for his men to open the Castle door again.

 

“Ladies and Gentlemen I now give to you, your new Queen, Queen Rayne.” AJ said and he couldn’t help but show the pride and happiness in his voice. 

 

Everyone stood up peaking their heads around trying to get a look at their new Queen.  Sure they had seen her before, but now she was their Queen.  They waited and wondered would she be wearing a traditional Sarila gown or a traditional Elvaan robe. When she walked through the doors all their questions had been answered.  There was Rayne in a long green and yellow robe.  They were pleased to see her wearing the traditional crown of leaves and her hair adorn in traditional Elvaan beads.

 

The people began to bow as she walked past them, even Nick, Nalia, Kevin and the gang bowed to her as she walked past them, she greeted them with smiles.  When she reached the stairs to the stage Avit took her hand and helped her walk up.  Avit bowed to her when she reached the top of the stairs, and she smiled at him too. 

 

Taking AJ’s hand she stood beside him and they both looked out to the crowd.  Everyone still clapping many of them happy to see this reunion, many of them knowing it was coming but then left in wonder because of Rayne’s state. 

 

            Rayne stood there in front of everyone and waited for the cheers to calm.  “When I was five years old I boarded a ship with my Father and my Mother and we set off to Winnol.  I did not know it but at that moment Winnol was going to be my new home.”

 

“When I stepped off of the ship and I saw Marsa for the very first time, I thought this land to be magical.  The people to me were as tall as the trees and as elegant as the wind.  I came to love this place as my second home and when the time came I defended it like it was my home.  Even though many shunned me because I was a Human Druid, you the people embraced me and accepted me as one of your own.”

 

“I can only hope I can show the same Love and Compassion that Queen Tas showed me and all of you.” Rayne said and the crowed began to clap.

 

AJ took his place beside her again, wrapping his arm around her waist. Avit announced that there would be a celebration in town square and for everyone to join them there.  Slowly the people began to file out, making their way to the center of town.

 

As the last of the people left the auditorium AJ looked down at his friends as they joined them on stage.  Nalia and Rayne hugged and he took a shot in the arm from Nick that made him want freeze him on the spot.

 

“Congratulations you two.” Kevin said as he walked up to the couple.

 

“Thanks man.” AJ smiled.

 

“So we ready to party?” Howie asked

 

“Very” Nick nodded.

 

“We’ll meet you guys there.” AJ said.  “I wanna change, this ceremonial robe is heavy as hell.” He said as he pulled on it.

 

“MmmHmm” Kevin said raising an eyebrow as he headed down the stage stairs.

 

“Bite me.” AJ joked as he walked passed holding Rayne’s hand.  When they reached the Castle doors AJ held it open for her and let her walk in first.

 

“Thank you.” She smiled.

 

“You are welcome you’re Highness.” He smiled back at her and she lightly laugh.

 

“Do you feel better?” She asked as they walked down the hall side by side.

 

“What do you mean?” He asked.

 

“Apologizing and what you said in your speech.” She said as she took his hand.

 

“Yeah, a little bit.” AJ nodded.

 

“Do not worry they will come around and they all seemed pleased with the announcement.” Rayne told him.

 

 

 

 

“Are you just going to sit there all night?” Nick asked as he sat down next to Kevin.

 

Kevin looked at him and then looked away. “What are you talking about?”

 

“You’ve danced twice and you’ve been sipping on that thing all night.” Nick told him.  “What’s buggin you?”

 

“Nothing just tired.” Kevin shrugged.

 

“Bullshit and I’m not leaving till you tell me.” Nick said planting his feet down.   “It’s AJ isn’t it?”

 

“What? No.” Kevin said as he tilted his mug.

 

“Yes it is, you’re pissed over breakfast, you’re pissed because you haven’t seen him all day and you’re pissed because he’s been with Rayne all night talking to the people and everything.” Nick said.

 

“No, Avit had been released so AJ and Rayne were having breakfast with him, he’s been busy with the announcement and now he’s doing damage control.” Kevin said shaking his head.  “I told you nothings wrong.”

 

“Ugh.” Nick moaned as he laid his head on the table.  “I give up.”

 

“You always do.” Kevin sighed.

 

“Ffff…” Nick started to say as he looked at Kevin.

 

“Hey, you guys having fun?” AJ asked as he walked up with Rayne.

 

“I am, he’s not.” Nick said looking to AJ then to Kevin.

 

“I am too.” Kevin snapped at Nick annoyed.

 

“Yeah” Nick scoffed as he stood up and headed over to Nalia.

 

“I hate that kid, I thought this place made him grow up?” Kevin asked as AJ sat down.  “Where did Rayne go?” He asked.

 

“Went to go see her Mom for something.” AJ said shrugging. 

 

Kevin looked at AJ and then rolled his eyes.  “I said I’m fine, I’m just tired so I’m sitting back and watching everyone else.”

 

“I didn’t say anything; I’m just waiting for Rayne to get back.” AJ said putting up his hands.

 

“Ok.” Kevin said taking a drink from his mug.  “So how was breakfast?” Kevin asked.

 

“Good.” AJ said as he looked over to some people.  “How was yours?”

 

“Fine.” Kevin replied.  “How’s Rayne doing?”

 

“Great.” AJ said nodding.  “Doing great.”

 

“Good, I’m glad.” Kevin said with a light smile.  “So you haven’t been around much, I mean I know you’re busy and stuff but it just kind of feels like you’re ignoring us.”

 

“So Nick was right.” AJ said eyeing him and Kevin just rolled his eyes.  “I don’t mean too dude it’s just, Rayne told me why she brought you guys here and I mean I’m glad you’re here and all it’s just.” AJ stopped, thinking about his words.

 

“It’s just what man?” Kevin asked.

 

“She died, she died to bring you guys here because she thought I needed you and maybe I did a little bit but not enough for her to give up her life for it.”  AJ told him.  “I just want to make sure she knows how much I love her, how much I need her and not you.”

 

“I guess I get it.” Kevin said trying to brush of the last word.

 

“No you don’t.” AJ said and Kevin looked up at him quickly.  “And I hope you never do.  I hope you never have to go through what I went through.  You and Kris are going to have a long life together and you’ll never have to wonder when you kiss her if it will be the last time, if you hug her will it be the last time, and when you say goodbye will it actually be goodbye.”

 

Kevin and AJ sat there in silence.  The oldest band mate didn’t’ know what to say and he felt a little selfish.  Here he was mopping because he wasn’t getting enough time with his friend that he couldn’t see how much his friend was hurting.

 

“Hey” Howie said breaking the silence and they both looked up.  “Nick wants you.”

 

“Me?” Kevin said confused and then it hit him.  “Oh yeah.” Kevin said as he stood up.  AJ watched the two men leave his face fell in confusion but then he shook it off as an arm wrapped over the back of his shoulders, he looked beside him and saw Rayne sitting down.

 

“Hello Beautiful.” He smiled at her.

 

“Hello Gorgeous.” She said as she returned the smile.  “Where did Kevin go?” She asked as she looked around.

 

“No clue Howie came over and said Nick wanted him.” He told her with a shrug.

 

“Ladies and Gentlemen can I have your attention?” Avit said as he stood on the small stage in front of everyone.  “Before King Alexander came home, when he lived on Earth, he was apart of a musical group with Sir Kevin, Sir Howie, Sir Brian and Prince Nickolas.  They traveled around Earth sharing their music with others.”

 

“What is going on?” Rayne whispered to AJ as they sat at the table.

 

“I have no idea.” He replied shaking his head.

 

“And now in honor of the marriage between Queen Rayne and King Alexander they are going to share their music with us.” Avit said as Nick, Kevin, Howie, and Brian walked up onto the stage.

 

“What are they doing?” AJ asked himself.  Rayne heard him and looked at him

 

“Can we have the Bride and Groom come to the front of the stage?” Nick asked looking at AJ with a smile.  “We wrote this song in honor of them and bare with us it’s been a while since we have sung together.”  As AJ walked Rayne to the center of the square by the stage, Kevin began to count them down.  AJ took her hand in his and wrapped his free arm around her waist.  His eyes stared at her as Howie began to sing.

 

“Into my eyes she looks,

She reads me like a book.

Understanding my pain,

Never asking me to change.

My heart she has in her hand

She guards like a single grain of sand”

 

            There was no music accompanying the voices but AJ didn’t care, her head rested on his chest, his eyes closed they swayed around in a circle not caring about the people around them.

 

“She loves me, she protects me, she'll never leave me

She wants me, she needs me, she'll never break me

I love her, I want her, I'll never let her go

For she is the one, the one that I need so”

 

All four guys sung the chorus and it surprised AJ how well the guys had nailed it, almost as if he had written the song himself.  He held her hand over his heart, her lips brushed against the back of his hand and he kissed the top of her head.

 

“I’ll take her hand in mine

I'm not letting go this time

She will not walk away

No heartache for me today

Pain will never show its face

I wanna be with you forever in this place”

 

Rayne pulled away and looked up at him as they guys began the chorus again.  Their eyes locked as they danced and she lightly smiled at him.  He mouthed the words “I love you” as he wiped her tears away and she lightly kissed him on his lips.

 

 “Her arms lock me away from the world

The love is like no other with this girl

She will be mine, mine forever now

And I will sit with her on our cloud

Because...

She loves me, she protects me, she'll never leave me

She wants me, she needs me, she'll never break me

I love her, I want her, I'll never let her go

For she is the one, the one that I need so”

 

As the guys stopped singing the crowd broke out into cheers and yells, it was the first time they had heard them sing, the first time they had heard Nick sing and as AJ looked around he could tell they enjoyed it.

 

“That was beautiful.” Rayne said to them as she hugged each of them.

 

“Thanks.” The guys said at the same time.

 

“Yeah guys, that song was tight.” AJ nodded.  “I hope I don’t have to pay royalties.”

 

“I think we can let this one slide just don’t go uploading for everyone to listen too.” Howie said as AJ and him hugged.

 

“King Alexander.” Someone said from behind them and everyone turned around.

 

“Yes my dear?” AJ said when he saw the young Elvaan girl standing in front of them.

 

“Will you be singing tonight?” She asked.

 

“Uh well.” AJ said looking around.

 

“Yeah man, for old times sake, let’s get these people dancing.” Nick said nudging him.

 

“I haven’t sung in like a year guys.” AJ said as they started to drag him to the stage.

 

“You have so.” Rayne said looking at him laughing as she helped. 

 

“Alright, alright.” AJ said as he broke away from everyone.  “What song?”

 

“Let’s have a party?” Nick said quickly.

 

“Dude that song is so old.” Kevin sighed.

 

“Ok then we can do, If you want it to be good girl..” Nick said with a shrug.

 

“Let’s have a party it is.” Kevin replied as he turned from the guys and got into his position.

 

“Have we ever done this song Acapella?” Brian asked as AJ cleared his throat.

 

“We’re about to find out.” Howie said with a smile and Brian started laughing.

               

               

Chapter 30 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                          Volume II

 

                                                      Chapter 30

 

Nick looked around, the room was dark but he didn’t feel cold.  “Hello.” He shouted out as he looked around.  This place was familiar too him but he couldn’t really put his finger on why.

 

“Nickolas.” The faint voice said.  “Is it true?”

 

“Who is this?” Nick asked again.  “I know you.” He said looking around again, the voice sounding familiar.  “Pixca?”

 

“Yes” She replied.  “Tell me Nickolas is it true?”

 

“Is what true?” He asked confused.

 

“The last time we talked I could not sense Rayne and now I feel her and Alexander stronger than ever before, have they bonded?” She asked.

 

“They’ve bonded lots.” Nick mumbled to himself with a laugh.

 

“I do not understand.” Pixca replied.

 

“You mean did they get married?” Nick asked.

 

“Yes”

 

“Then yeah they bonded.” Nick told her.

 

“Than it is time.” She said and Nick’s face fell in puzzlement.

 

“Time?” Now it was his turn to ask questions.

 

“You, and the others, the four of you must come to Ashmourn, they are getting ready for war, I hear their echoes when they talk.” She said her voice flowing through his ears like a light breeze. 

 

“War what do you mean war?” Nick asked shocked and a little scared.

 

“The time is now Nickolas.” Her voice said.

 

“Wait.” Nick said as he sat up.  Looking around quickly he realized the room wasn’t dark anymore in fact it looked green, green from the sun as they tried to pierce the curtains that hung around his bed.

 

“Nick?” Nalia said from beside him.  He looked at him as she sat up, her hair fell in front of her face, and she looked like she wasn’t quite awake yet.  “Everything alright?”

 

“Yeah, I think so.” Nick said remembering what Pixca told him.  “I mean I don’t know.”

 

“Was it a dream?” She asked.  “Was it Pixca?” She asked hoping it wasn’t.  Whenever he had a dream about her or said he had talked to her, he started changing.

 

“Yeah I think so.” Nick said as he pulled off the blankets.

 

“What is going on?” Nalia asked as she followed him out of bed.

 

“I had a dream with Pixca.” Nick told her as he grabbed his robe.

 

“Not this again.” Nalia sighed.

 

“What do you mean by that?” Nick said looking at her.

 

“Well it is just that every time you talk to her or have a dream, we end up running off somewhere.”  Nalia told him as she watched him get ready.

 

“Oh so I should just ignore her?” Nick snapped.

 

“That is not what I mean Nick.” Nalia said defensively as he walked to the door.

 

Nick spun around.  “I don’t have time to fight about this; we need to go see Rayne and AJ.”  He then turned and opened the door, before he left he turned back around.  “Are you coming?” He asked as he held the door open.  Nalia quickly did up her robe and followed him out of the room.  She didn’t say anything as they walked down the hall.

 

They had stayed in Winnol for the night, along with the others, since everyone but AJ and Rayne had stayed up pretty late partying.   Nalia would look at Nick out of the corner of her eye, his lips moved but no sound came from them.  She took a deep breath wondering what he was doing, talking to himself, to Pixca, or was he changing again, changing more.

 

“Where’s the fire?” Someone said from behind them and they both turned around.

 

“Where’s Alex?” Nick asked as Nalia smiled a little seeing Kevin.

 

“Sleeping I think?” Kevin said and Nalia heard a little confusion in his voice.  “Why, what’s up?” He asked.

 

“I need to talk to them.” Nick said as he turned back around and headed towards the Kings bedroom.

 

“Is he alright?” Kevin asked Nalia as they followed behind him.

 

“He said he heard from Pixca again.” Nalia said not hiding the worry in her eyes.

 

“AJ!” Nick shouted as he knocked, almost pounded on the door.

 

“Nick, dude they still might be sleeping.” Kevin said a little annoyed now by Nick’s persistence.

 

“I don’t care, we need to get ready.” Nick said as he quickly looked back.  “AJ!” He shouted again and as he went to knock once more the door opened.

 

“Can I help you?” AJ asked tying up his robe with a very pissed off look on his face.

 

“You and Rayne need to get dressed, I had a dream about Pixca, we need to leave for Ashmourn. “

 

“Now?” AJ asked still annoyed.

 

“Yes now, so hurry up.” Nick said turning around.  “We’ll meet up in your office.”

 

As Nick walked down the hall AJ looked back to Nalia and Kevin.  First to Nalia who smiled lightly with a soft sigh and then left to follow Nick down the hall, and then too Kevin who just shrugged. 

 

“Ugh.” AJ huffed as he closed the door almost slamming it.

 

“What is going on?” Rayne asked as she crawled out of bed.

 

“Nick’s on the war path again, apparently he had another dream about Pixca.” AJ sighed as Rayne put on her robe.

 

“What did she say?” She asked.

 

“I dunno, he just told me for us to meet him in my Meeting Room.” He replied as he walked over to his dresser.  “He said we need to go to Ashmourn.”

 

“Today?” Rayne asked and AJ saw the disappointment on her face.

 

“I know darlin’ but if it means finding Pixca.” AJ said as he walked over to her.  She sighed and then nodded knowing that was more important than the alone time they had planned in Drisel.  “Get dress, if this is going to be a wild goose chase, don’t worry I’ll freeze him and lock him in the Gryphon Tower.”  She lightly laughed as she walked over to her dresser to get ready.

 

Once they were both ready to go, they left their bedroom and made their way down to AJ’s office.  When they got there they saw everyone else was there, Howie, Brian and the Wives had all joined them.

 

“They’re here; now tell us what the heck is going on?” Brian said as everyone watched Rayne and AJ walk into the room.

 

“I had a dream that I was talking to Pixca, and she said we needed to get to Ashmourn.” Nick told them as they all stared at him.

 

“Why?” AJ asked.

 

“Because she said they are getting ready for war.” He told them.

 

“War?!” Rayne said shocked.  “Who is getting ready for War?”

 

“Ignis’s Army.” He replied to her.

 

“But Ignis is dead.” AJ said confused.

 

“Well he might be but his army isn’t.” Nick looked at him.  “We need to stop them before they leave Ashmourn.”

 

“Well we need to get our Army’s ready.” Rayne said and Nick quickly shook his head.

 

“We don’t have time.”

 

“Nick we are not walking in there just the ten of us, we need an Army to fight an Army.” Nalia said as everyone looked at Nick like he was mad.

 

“Well Pixca thinks we can, and come on guys we’re Guardians.” Nick said as he looked at them and everyone looked at him in silence.

 

“Rayne how long will it take you to get the Sarila Army together?” AJ asked.

 

“I can have Jaina gather them immediately an hour at the most.” Rayne replied.

 

“Nalia what about you?” AJ asked.

 

“We don’t have time.” Nick said quickly.

 

“I am not sending Kevin, Howie, Brian and the girls in there with just us as protection, I’m not going in there without some kind of back up, Nick are you fucking crazy!?” AJ shouted at him.  “You saw yourself what lies in there.”

 

“And I took it out myself, I brought it down on my own, I’m not going to sit around here and wait.” Nick said angrily as he headed towards the door.

 

“Nickolas where are you going?” Nalia asked as he opened the door.

 

“To find Pixca, with or without you.” He mumbled as he slammed the door behind him.

 

“What was that about?” Howie asked a little confused.

 

“This is how he gets when he says he’s talked to Pixca or she’s talked to him.” AJ said with a tone of sarcasm.

 

“I will go see if I can get him to wait.” Nalia said as she quickly left.

 

“If he goes.” AJ said stopping her.  “Go with him, we’ll catch up.”

 

“I will send a hawk out to find you when we get to the Forrest.” Rayne said to her good friend.  Nalia nodded and then left the room.

 

“So, what do we do now?” Kevin asked.

 

“We get ready for War.” AJ told him.

 

“Again?” Brian whined. 

Chapter 31 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                          Volume II

 

                                                      Chapter 31

 

Nalia looked around at the men and woman as they lined up in front of her.  Hundreds of them, some were wearing Kalica’s colours, some were wearing the Sarila blue, and some were wearing the Winnol green.  The only colour missing, Tokia red.

 

            “Are you sure he’s coming?” AJ asked and it broke her from her thoughts.

 

            “He said he would but he needed to go Tokia first, I’m hoping to get something out of Rossi.” She lightly sighed.

 

“He’s been known to tell a fib or two you know.” AJ said as he looked over towards his Gryphon Riders.  Nalia looked at him.

 

“Not to me.” She snipped and then headed over to Bussa.  AJ turned his head and looked at her as she walked away.

 

“How do we fare?” She asked Bussa.

 

“Very well Mi’lady, we are ready to go.” Bussa told her with a light bow.

 

“I will check with King Alexander and Queen Rayne.” She nodded.

 

“Where is Rossi?” Buss asked her before she left.

 

“The Tokia Army is on its way with Prince Nickolas.” Nalia told him with confidence but even she wasn’t sure.

 

 

 

 

“Give me the damn Army!” Nick shouted at Rossi in the King’s stone Meeting Room.

 

“I am not sending me Army down there just because you had a dream!” Rossi shouted back.  “You have come in here and ripped me home from top to bottom, for what? And now you want me bloody Army?! Bah!”

 

“Why don’t you want us to find her?” Nick asked.  “Is it because of what the Dwarves did a hundred years ago?”

 

“You best be watchin’ what yee say from here on out boy.” Rossi said giving him a stone cold dwarf stare.

 

“What happened?” Nick asked.

 

“Nothing!” Rossi shouted and stomped his foot on the ground.  Nick sighed with frustration and anger.  He knew he wasn’t going to get anything out of Rossi, so with one last grunt he left the room and headed down the hall towards the globe room.  He needed to get to Pomic; they had already wasted enough time getting the Army’s together. 

 

“Even in this world my Parents lie to me.” Nick sighed as he opened the door and entered the globe room to Hevi.  When he got there someone was already waiting for him so he could take a Gryphon too Pomic.  He could tell by the look of the guards face the man was wondering why he didn’t have an Army behind him. 

 

“There he is!” Howie shouted and pointed as Nick walked up to everyone.

 

“Where’s the Army?” Nalia asked as the two hugged.

 

“Not coming.” Nick said quickly and sternly.

 

“He still wouldn’t budge huh?” Kevin asked.

 

“Nope but we don’t have time to fight with him, I’ll deal with it when we get back.” Nick told them.

 

“How long will it take us to get there?” Leigh B asked.

 

“A day, we’ll set up base in the Gorge and figure out where to go from there.” Nick told her.  “Are the Hunters and Gryphon’s ready?”

 

“My Riders are good to go.” AJ nodded.

 

“We’ll send them ahead and have them scout.” Nick told everyone.

 

“Is Kris going with the Hunters?” Brian asked Kevin as Nick and AJ went to the fleet of Gryphon Riders.

 

“No she’s staying with us; she doesn’t know the area that well.” Kevin told him.  Just then the sound of Gryphon’s squawking made both men look up and they watched as the Winnol Gryphon Riders took off into the sky.

 

“So, here we go again.” Kevin said as he adjusted his breast plate.

 

“When do we leave?” Brian asked as AJ, Nick, Nalia and Rayne joined the group by their horses.

 

“We leave now; we’ll get a report from the Riders when we hit the forest.” Nick told them. 

 

The giant army with men and woman from all over Pixcadia headed towards Ashmourn.  AJ had noticed how quiet Nick had been he wasn’t sure if it was because they were about to go to war or the fact Rossi was acting the way he was, that was making his friend this way.  Avit, AJ, Rayne, Jaina, Nalia, Bussa, and Nick decided they should set up camp in the forest before the Gorge.  Camping in the actual Gorge might give away their positions. 

 

“We need to go over what Pixca said.” AJ told the group around him as they sat in a tent going over a battle plan.

 

“She asked me about You and Rayne, because of everything that had happened to Rayne she couldn’t sense her like she could us and she was worried.  She asked if you two had bonded, when I told her you had that’s when she said we needed to attack.”  Nick told them as he looked around.

 

“Why would it matter if AJ and Rayne married?” Kevin asked.

 

“I have no idea” Nick replied with a shrug.

 

“Could that be a key to something, their powers maybe?” Howie asked.

 

“What about Nali and I?” Nick said.  “Wouldn’t she want to wait for us?”

 

“Waiting for you to marry?” Nalia said looking at him.  “We’d be a while.” Everyone lightly snickered, even Nick until the thought that she wasn’t joking came into his head.

 

“Well we have pretty much gone over everything we can, battle placements and everything even though we have not a clue what lies a head of us.” Rayne said with a sigh.  “We should all get some rest, while we can.”

 

Everyone returned to their tents and settled down to get some sleep.  Well everyone but Rayne and AJ.  They were still enjoying their time as newlyweds plus with everything they had been through and Rayne finally remembering who AJ was they felt themselves needing to be with each other more and more.

 

“Are you worried about tomorrow?” AJ asked her as he brushed her hair from her shoulder and lightly kissed her skin.

 

“A little.” Rayne replied.  “But we are all together and the armies are behind us, we are prepared, just wish I knew what we were walking into.”

 

“Nick does seem a little rushed.”

 

“Have you notice how he has changed?” Rayne asked.

 

“You mean the closer we get the more…” AJ stopped looking for the word to use.  “Strong and determined he gets.”

 

“Yes” She nodded.  “I wonder why that is, I do not think it could be Pixca otherwise we would feel it as well, no?”

 

“Nalia said when they were down in the Gorge, he changed too, a lot, became aggressive and when the Lava creature attacked them, he just knew what to do.” AJ told her as his finger gently brushed along her collar bones.

 

“Another piece of the puzzle missing.” Rayne sighed thinking about the mess Ignis had made. 

 

“Well hopefully when we get to Ashmourn we’ll find the missing pieces.”  AJ replied and then he leaned in and gently kissed her lips.  When he pulled away she softly smiled at him, her fingers lightly traced the back of his long Elvaan ears, and the jewelry in his hair jingled as her fingers brushed past it.

 

“Do you remember what I looked like when I arrived?” AJ asked.

 

“Of course I do.” She replied with a smile.  “You were just as gorgeous as you are now.”

 

“And you are just as beautiful.” AJ smiled.

 

“I will never forget what you gave up for me, for this place.” Rayne told him as her eyes drifted lovingly around his face.  AJ was about to reply but he was stopped by her lips and found himself being pushed gently down as she slowly crawled on top of him, their lips never parting.

 

 

The next day everyone was up before the sun had even risen and readying themselves for a long day of death and war.  AJ walked up to Rayne as she packed up her horse, he slipped his hands around her waist from behind and gently kissed her neck, the events of last night still fresh in his mind.

 

“We’re going to War and he’s hoppin on the Rayne train.” Nick sighed.

 

“He just gave her a kiss.” Nalia said with a laugh.  “Someone want a kiss too?’ Nalia asked as she moved closer to him.

 

“No, I really don’t have time to fool around.” Nick said as he handed a piece of paper to Avit.

 

“Oh, well that is good to know.” Nalia said with a hurt tone.  “I shall be over here if you need me.” She snipped as she walked away.  Nick sighed a rolled his eyes, he really didn’t mean for it to come out like that, he just…just didn’t have the time.  There were just too many things going on in his head.

 

“Are we ready?” AJ asked as him and Rayne approached on their horses.

 

“Are you?” Nick asked as he hopped up on his.

 

“Yep” AJ replied with a nod oblivious Nick had saw them kissing.

 

“What did the Riders say?” Kevin asked.

 

“They couldn’t get close to Ashmourn, those Lava creatures are out, lots of them and they didn’t’ want to give away their positions or the fact we were coming.” AJ said as everyone and the army started to head out.

 

“Well we can expect Lava Creatures, that’s one thing we know.” Howie said with a nod.

 

“If I can find a hawk or bird near by I might be able to fly it over and get a better look.” Rayne said.

 

“That’s what I was thinking.” AJ replied.

 

They talked about different battle plans and filled the girls in as much as they could, AJ had to admit they were pretty calm for three girls about to go to war, and he wondered if he was like that when he came here.  Appeared to be calm but on the inside he was a mess.

 

The sun was no longer above them as they approached the Gorge and Nick raised his arm telling everyone to stop.  AJ looked around and made sure people had followed his direction and then turned to Nick.

 

“What’s up?” He asked.

 

“We get off here; horses can’t make it down there.” Nick told him as he jumped of his horse.  “We’ll set up a base camp below and then make our way towards Ashmourn.”

 

“Sounds good.” Kevin nodded as he got down.

 

Ladders were dropped down along the rugged cliffs of the Gorge and one by one they started to descend down.  Nick, AJ, Rayne, Nalia, Avit, Bussa, Jaina, and the guys with their wives set up camp.  Avit and Jaina went through the mass army making sure everyone new their place and procedure.

 

“It was a hundred yards or so ahead where we were attacked.” Nalia told AJ as the two stood by their camp talking.

 

“I wonder if Nick senses anything.” AJ wondered as he looked back for his friend.

 

“He probably does not have the time.” Nalia moaned as she rolled her eyes.

 

“Huh?” AJ asked confused.

 

“Nothing” Nalia said with a sigh.  “I will go talk to him.”  AJ gave her a light smile still confused on what was with the comment.  He looked down the Gorge and saw someone kneeling in the dirt.  As his eyes focused he realized it was Rayne and he made his way over to her.

 

“You should be careful Rayne; Nalia said they were attacked not to far from here.”  AJ told her as he approached her.  She skimmed her hand around in the dirt and he wondered if she had heard him.  “Beautiful, everything ok?”

 

“There’s nothing here.” Rayne finally spoke up.

 

“Yeah it’s pretty dead.” AJ said with a nod looking around at all the dirt.

 

“There’s no life what so ever.” Rayne told him as she looked up at him.  “I do not feel anything.” 

 

“Alex!” Someone shouted from behind them and they both turned around to look, they saw Nick and Nalia headed towards them.

 

“What’s up?” AJ asked.

 

“We’re going.” Nick told them as he pointed back to the army.

 

“Already? Maybe we should let the people rest Nick.” Rayne said unsure.

 

“We don’t have time.” Nick replied “They’re going to know we’re here if we sit to long.”

 

Rayne looked at AJ worried.  “Nick maybe she’s right.”

 

“She’s not right!” Nick snapped.  “I know what we need to do and we need to go now.”

 

“The army is ready.” Nalia said to them knowing Nick wasn’t budging from his stance.

 

“Then I guess we go.” AJ said looking at Rayne who’s worry about the situation had not left her face.

 

The people of Pixcadia made their way through the dry dusty Gorge unsure of what they would see upon their arrival to Ashmourn.  When they got to the spot where Nalia and Nick were attacked they could feel the heat from the lava invested land.

 

“Are those mountains?” Kevin whispered as they stopped near the end of the Gorge.”

 

“Yeah, the castle is in those mountains.” Nick said with a nod.  AJ looked at his friend hoping he knew what he was doing, hoping it was really Pixca he had talked to and not some mages trick.  He looked over to Rayne and what he saw confused him.  She looked tired, pale and she started to hunch as she walked.

 

“Rayne are you ok?” AJ asked and everyone looked at her when he asked.

 

“Rayne what is wrong?” Nalia asked seeing her condition.

 

“I am fine.” She said breathless.

 

“We stop.” AJ said as he put up his hand.

 

“What, no we can’t.” Nick said quickly.

 

“Hello!! Can you not see her?” AJ yelled pointing at Rayne.

 

“Then send her back, we can’t stop.” Nick told him.

 

“Darlin’ what’s wrong?” AJ asked ignoring Nick as he huffed in frustration.

 

“This land, this land is dead.” Rayne whispered.  “There is no life here but there is something.”

 

“Something?” Nalia asked.

 

“I do not know, something is pulling me.” She replied.

 

“Maybe you should go back.” AJ said to her.

 

“No, no I just need a moment.”

 

“We don’t have a moment.” Nick snapped.

 

“Dude fuck off seriously what the hell is your problem?” AJ snapped back at him, he was ready to tell Nick more but Rayne’s hand on his arm stopped him.

 

“I am alright to continue.” She said as she shot Nick a look.

 

“Well I’m staying with you.” AJ told her as he took her by the waist.

 

“Great now she’ll be a liability.” Nick sighed.

 

Nalia was about to give Nick a piece of her mind when the ground started to shake.  “Oh dear.” Nalia gasped out instead.

 

“What was that?” Kristin asked looking around as her pet tiger began to growl.

 

“They’re coming.” Nick said more to himself than the others.  “They’re coming everyone get ready!” Nick shouted behind them.  Just as he shouted the words and giant fireball came down sending people flying everywhere.

 

AJ hit the dirt ground hard and he shouted in pain when he hit.  But there was no time to moan over it and he looked around searching for Rayne.  That’s when he saw it, it was like Nick and Nalia had described a giant lava creature.  Its entire body made from lava rocks and streams of red hot liquid flowed around the cracks.

 

“Water kills fire.” AJ thought and then sent a jet stream of water at the giant beast.  It sizzled and crackled as it let out a loud scream but his spell only stopped it momentarily. The creature turned its attention to AJ and screamed at him.  “Shit.” AJ mumbled as he started to step backwards.  He quickly looked at everyone else who were fighting…goblins?! Looking back he saw the monster conjure another fire ball and sent it flying at him.  AJ prepared to get hit when he felt a tug and then he hit the ground hard.  Quickly he got up and saw Rayne beside him, they were inside a cave.

 

“You…” She paused her eyes fluttered.  “Ok?” She asked.

 

“Yeah but you aren’t.” AJ said worried.

 

“It’s the land.” She told him.  “It feels like it is taking my power.”

 

“Taking?” AJ thought about her words then his eyes went wide.  “Because there’s no life here so it’s….it’s taking yours?” AJ asked.

 

“Maybe…” She stopped catching her breath.  “Maybe this was the missing piece.”

 

“I’m getting you out of here.” AJ said as he went to reach for her.

 

“No” She protested.  “You must help them.  I will stay here, I am ok here.”

 

“Rayne” AJ said worryingly to her.

 

“Go Alex I will be fine.” She told him.

 

AJ hesitated at first and then snuck out of the cave, everyone by now was fighting and more lava creatures had joined the fight.  Maybe his magic couldn’t take out the big guys but he knew it could take out the little rat looking things.

 

“Alex!?” Someone shouted and he spun around.

 

“Where is Rayne?” Nalia asked.

 

“Out of the way, she’s fine.” AJ said not wanting to get into it right now.

 

“We need to head to the castle.” Nick said as he ran up to them.

 

“But everyone is still fighting here.” Nalia protested.

 

“And this is where they’re suppose to be, we need to be at the Castle, where’s Rayne?” Nick said sternly.

 

“In that cave…” AJ stopped dead when he saw three goblins coming out of the cave dragging Rayne behind them.  “RAYNE!” AJ shouted as he burst past Nalia and Nick and ran right for her but the loud thunderous boom of a giant lava foot coming down in front of him and stopped him dead in his tracks.  He looked up and saw the creature looking down at him, he wasn’t sure but he thinks it was the one he was messing with earlier.

 

Then he heard another scream but it was coming from the creature himself he looked down and saw Nick his hand on the monsters leg, purple beams streaming from both of them.  “What the hell…” AJ whispered.

 

“That’s what he did last time.” Nalia said quickly.  AJ reverted his eyes down the gorge and his heart sank when he realized it had been enough of a distraction for the goblins to get away, with Rayne.  The giant beast came crumbling down around them and AJ looked over at Nick.

 

“Why didn’t she fight back?” Nick asked.

 

“She can’t.” AJ said as he looked down the gorge.

 

“What do you mean?” Nalia asked.

 

“She told me before I came out of the cave that she thinks the land is dead and because it’s dead it’s taking the life from her; she could barely talk while hiding in there.” AJ said as his heart raced.

 

“Now can we go to the castle?” Nick said looking at the two.

Chapter 32 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                          Volume II

 

                                                      Chapter 32

 

            AJ, Nick and Nalia made their way out of the Gorge and stopped when they came to the rock infested land of Ashmourn.  The mountains were seen clearly now and even the tall steeples of the Castle could be seen jetting out from the rocks.

 

“Look” Nalia said pointing in front of them.  “More dragging marks.”

 

“Then we go this way.” AJ said as he followed the tracks.

 

“If we go this way we can climb up over there maybe find a way in.” Nick said looking around as they walked.  AJ stopped and looked around; he knelt down by the marks and followed them with his eyes.  “Don’t worry dude we’ll find her.” Nick said as he put his hand on AJ’s shoulder only to have it violently ripped away.

 

“Fuck you asshole!” AJ shouted as he stood up.  “It’s your fault she’s gone!”

 

“Dude.” Nick said stunned.

 

“You couldn’t wait could you, had to go now!” AJ shouted at him.  “Maybe if you had chilled the fuck out we would have known what was going to happen to Rayne and been more ready but no Mr. Fucking Warlock has to go all emo!”

 

“Well excuse me for wanting to save Pixca” Nick snapped.  “You know the whole reason we’re here in the first place.”

 

“We all want to find her Nickolas.” Nalia said trying to calm the two.  “And Alex we will find her.”

 

“She can’t fight, she can’t do anything right now and she’s somewhere in there.” AJ said as he looked at her.

 

“I know, I’m worried too but freaking out on Nick is not going to help.” Nalia replied.

 

“Oh so you think this is my fault too?” Nick snapped at her.

 

“We should have been more prepared.” Nalia said to him sternly.  “Now let us go and find a way inside.” She said as she started walking again.

 

 

 

 

“Rayne?” A voice past through her ears and she mumbled as she began to wake.  “Rayne wake up?”

 

“Alex?” She whispered as her eyes started to open.

 

“No I am sorry I am not him.” The voice said as Rayne started to come too.  She looked at the woman kneeling over her and quickly sat up.

 

“Where am I?” Rayne asked looking around.

 

“Inside Ashmourn.” The woman said.  “They brought you in here.”

 

“Who are you?” She asked.

 

“You know who I am.” The woman said with a light smile.  Rayne looked at the woman, she looked like an Elvaan, her hair long and adorn with jewelry but there was something different about her.

 

“Pixca?” Rayne whispered as she began to realize who was in front of her.

 

“Yes” The woman nodded.  “It has been a long time since a Guardian has been in my presence.”

 

“I need to get you out of here.” Rayne said as she stood up but just as fast she fell to the ground.

 

“Careful Rayne.” Pixca said as she caught the Druid before she hit the ground hard.

 

“What is wrong with me?” Rayne asked looking at her as she laid back against the rock walls.

 

“It is as you thought, the land is fighting for your power and it wants nothing more than to live again, destroyed by the dwarves hundreds of years ago.”

 

“Destroyed?” Rayne said confused.

 

“The Dwarves wanted the mountains for mining; the humans wanted it because they owned everything else in the area.  So the two began to fight, the dwarves were losing until they came upon…” Rayne interrupted her.

 

“So they were behind it” Rayne said more to herself.

 

“Yes, while they were mining for supplies they came across a man who was dead to the world, yes he was alive in every sense of the word but since he lost his beloved Silvnia he died inside.”

 

“What happened?” Rayne asked.

 

“Ignis.”

 

“Ignis?” Rayne said shocked.

 

“Yes” Pixca nodded. “He saw what the Dwarves had done to the land, to his Silvnia.”

 

“Who’s Silvnia?” She asked.

 

“Silvnia was a Druid like you but she was Elvaan and Ignis loved her very much.” Pixca told her.  “But like Druids before her the time had come to find a Dryad.” She explained.  “On this land there is a portal of sorts, a doorway, it leads to evil and darkness, so when the time came the Druids would pick one of their own, one who was very strong and powerful to give their life to this land so this portal would stay closed.  They were known as Dryads, they protected all living things, linked forever to the Land to Pixcadia and she was chosen to take her place among them. Ignis tried to stop her but she knew what she needed to do, to help keep the cycle of life going.  When she died he might as well had died too.  He retreated to the mountains to live alone without her only coming out to watch her tree when ever the sun rose or fell.”

 

“Her tree?” Rayne asked puzzled.

 

“Dryads, they are true guardians of life but they are linked to the land through a great tree so they must stay within the trees aura to survive. But they do not know who they were before just that they live to keep the cycle going.” Pixca told her.  “The Dwarves, to allow for their mining destroyed everything she had died for including killing her and her tree.”

 

“The dwarves took the land.” Rayne said as it started to fall into place.

 

“When Ignis had realized what they had done, that they had destroyed her tree he tricked them into opening the very thing Silvnia was trying to stop.” Pixca said.  “Pure evil poured from the mountains, most of it went to Ignis.

 

“Why did you not just close it?” Rayne asked she was trying to follow but she was so tired.

 

“Balance Rayne as a Druid you know this, the fight between good and evil, the balance between good and evil I can not interfere.  The Druids chose that path until Ignis stopped it.  I tried to help them but yes by then it was too late.”

 

“The Guardians?”

 

“Yes my very first set of Guardians were able to keep Ignis at bay everything was going well, cycle after cycle until Ignis went after Adamai, Rayxes, Genua and Alia.  I went to confront Ignis but the land even cried out for me and Ignis took advantage of it. From what I can tell things are still quiet a mess when it comes to my peoples memories.” She sighed.

 

“Our army is just outside Ashmourn they will come for us” Rayne told her.

 

“Yes, yes they will.” Pixca smiled at her as she took her hand.  A rush went through Rayne’s body and her eyes opened as she gasped. She looked at Pixca confused.  “You need your strength Rayne and I will lend you mine.”

 

 

 

 

 

“You know it’s a good thing Brian didn’t come with us.” Nick said breathless as him and AJ both looked down.  The three had climbed up the west cliff side; they had just stopped a few feet below a walk way leading to one of the pillars.

 

“Do you hear something?” AJ asked Nalia and then reached up and grabbed onto the cliff pulling himself up.  Nalia watched AJ climb up a couple of more steps and then she looked at Nick.

 

“Asshole.” Nick mumbled as he started to climb too. 

 

When AJ reached the walk way he leaned over the edge and reached out for Nalia, helping her up the rest of the way.  Nalia knowing AJ wasn’t going to help Nick went over and helped him up.

 

“Thanks.” Nick said as he eyed AJ.

 

“Let it be.” Nalia told him as he dusted himself off.

 

“Let’s just find Rayne and Pixca and get out of here.”

 

The group walked into the steeple and proceeded down the stone staircase.  They made there way down floor after floor making sure they stayed quiet.  AJ led the way Nalia and Nick following behind him.  Each door they came too they waited and checked to see if there was anything or anyone around.

 

“Whoa” Nick said as he stopped dead dropping to one knee.

 

“What?” Nick and AJ both whispered.

 

“Did you guys feel that?” Nick asked.

 

“No” They both replied shaking their heads.  “What happened?”

 

“I dunno I got this crazy rush of like power or something, it’s gone now whatever it was.” Nick said standing up.  “That was nuts.”

 

A loud bang came from below them and they all looked at each other.  A second later the three of them were running down the steps.  When they came to the next door they stopped and listened.  They heard shouting down the hallway and AJ pulled the door open quickly and ran out into the hallway.

 

“Look” AJ said pointing.  Nick and Nalia followed his glare and saw a door lying in the middle of the floor with a couple of goblins lying under it.

 

“Who did that?” Nick asked.

 

“One of two people.” Nalia said as they walked to the cave that looked like a cell.

 

“Which way do you think they went?” AJ asked.

 

“That way.” Nick said pointing left.

 

“You sure?” AJ asked.

 

“Yeah, I can see death.” Nick said looking to Nalia and AJ.

 

“Death?”

 

“What ever it was or is, is dying.” Nick told them.  AJ felt all eyes on him and he turned around and headed down the left hallway as quick as he could.  As they traveled they saw a trail of dead goblins and soon were able to follow them to the center of the castle.  When they got to a large balcony they all knelt down as voices echoed around them.  They heard the screams of goblins and bangs of spells going off.  Slowly they crept to the large stone railing and peaked over.

 

“Rayne.” AJ said as he started to stand up but Nalia and Nick pulled him down.  “What the hell?” He said looking at them.

 

“Look.” Nalia said pointing to their right.  AJ looked and saw a Giant demon yelling at the goblins and Rayne ripped through them one by one.

 

“Is that Pixca with her?” Nick asked in a whisper.

 

“Who else would it be?” Nalia asked.

 

“I tire of you Druid.” The Demon spoke as he began to walk down the staircase.

 

“You will leave this land and return from where you came.” Rayne said as the last Goblin fell to her wraith spell.

 

“This is our land; the one you protect took it from us.” The demon said as he reached the bottom of the stairs.  “And now we will take it back!”  The demon raised his large mace into the air and was about to give it a good swing when AJ jumped up and shot a fire bolt right at him.  The mace fell as the fireball hit the demons hand and he looked up to see who had attacked him.

 

“I guess that’s our cue.” Nick said looking at Nalia.  Nalia reached behind her with a light smile and grabbed her sword and took off running towards the stairs that the demon had just walked down as Nick began summoning his Orc.

 

“Twivil leave now, Vel’era’s on his own.” A Goblin squealed as it started down the hallway but then fell dead in its tracks as Rayne’s wraith spell wrapped around it.

 

“Ha you did me a favor Druid.” Vel’era laughed as the goblin fell.

 

“Return to your land or the door will close and leave you here to die.” Rayne told him as the fought off Nalia and Nick.

 

“So, Pixca has refreshed your memory has she?”  Vel’era scoffed.  “You will close nothing.”  The demon swung his arm and sent both Nalia and Nick crashing into the other room and the door splintering into pieces.

 

An Ice bolt came flying at him and hit him in the chest causing him to step back and tripping over the steps behind him.  He sat there staring with pure anger at the Mage who stood next too the Druid.

 

“Get them out of here.” Rayne said not taking her eyes off of Vel’era.

 

“What?” AJ said looking at her. 

 

“Get Pixca, Nick and Nalia and get them out of here.” She said as she looked at him.  His eyes fell in puzzlement as he looked into her eyes, they were glowing a light blue and a chunk of her hair on either side of her head had gone the same colour blue, tangling around her dark regular locks.

 

“What about you?” He asked.

 

“Aww this is a touching moment, humanoids, no matter the species their hearts are they’re down fall.” The demon laughed as Rayne looked at him.

 

“I’m not leaving without you too.” AJ said too her still staring at her.

 

Her head snapped towards him, her eyes glowing brighter.  “Leave Alexander now!!” She shouted at him her voice deeper than normal echoed and shook the walls of the castle.

 

“Come Alexander.” Pixca said to him as she reached for him.  AJ hesitantly took Pixca by the arm and followed her towards Nick and Nalia.  The demon went to swing at them but Rayne stopped him with a spell, veins wrapping around his arms as they shot out from the ground.

 

“Nick” AJ said shaking his friend.

 

“Not now Kevin just let me sleep.” Nick mumbled.

 

“Come on Nick get up!”  AJ shouted as he gave him a nudge.

 

“What’s going on?” Nick asked as he slowly sat up.  “Did we win?” He asked.

 

“Not yet, now get up.” AJ said as he helped his friend stand.

 

“Pixca?” Nalia said as she too woke up.

 

“Hello” Pixca said with a nod.  “I am afraid Alexander is correct we must leave now.”

 

“Where’s Rayne?” Nalia asked.

 

“She’s out there.” AJ said pointing to the Castle entrance.

 

“Then let’s go help her.” Nick said trying to walk to the door.

 

“We must leave.” Pixca said stopping him.  “We will go when she has him distracted.”

 

“We can not just leave her; we are not leaving her, Alex?” Nalia said looking at him.

           

“No, no we’re not.” AJ said looking away from Pixca.  He walked over to where the doors use to be and saw Vel’era swinging his mace at her.  His arm flew up to send out a spell but it was stopped and his concentration taken by Pixca.

 

“Why are you stopping me!?” AJ yelled at her.  Just then the entire castle started shaking.  He pulled his arm from Pixca’s hand and looked around, the walls were shaking, vibrating, and then they started to fall apart.

 

“The place is gonna go.” Nick said as he looked around too.  AJ looked at the demon and he too was taken back by the sudden earthquake beneath them.

 

“Let’s go now.” AJ said as he motioned for them to start running.  “I’ll get Rayne.”

 

“Alright.” Nalia nodded.

 

“No Alexander.” Pixca protested.

 

“Just go.” AJ said to her and Nalia and Nick with Pixca both started running towards the giant doors to the castle.  AJ was following closely behind until he reached Rayne as she knelt on the ground.  A large piece of ceiling came down and landed right on Vel’era, the demon screamed as it hit him.

 

“Come on beautiful this place is coming down.” AJ said as he grabbed her by the arms.

 

“No” She said grabbing his arms and stopping him.

 

“Rayne, I’m not leaving you here, this place is going to fall in.”  AJ protested.

 

“I need to close the door, I need to give this land it’s life back Alexander, please you need to go.”  She pleaded with him.

 

“What?” AJ whispered.  “What door? What do you mean? Rayne…”

 

“Alex there’s no time; I need to do this I’m the only one who can.” She pleaded with him.

 

“Damn it Rayne I’m not leaving you here to die, why are you making me do this?” AJ shouted at her.

 

“Pixca will explain.” She then ran her fingers down his ear and drifted them around his cheek.  Leaning in she kissed him as her fingers gently pulled on the jewelry in his hair.  She pulled away and looked into his tear soaked eyes.  “Protect Winnol, protect Sarila, protect the people, and I will protect you.”

 

“No…no no.” AJ said shaking his head in disbelief.

 

“Alex please, you must leave now, do not let this be in vain.” Rayne said as her hand slid down to his.

 

“I love you beautiful” AJ whimpered as he quickly kissed the back of her hands.

 

“I love you too gorgeous.” She smiled as strongly as she could.  He kissed her one last time, then stood up and started running towards the doors.

 

“Nooo!!!” Vel’era shouted as he stood up shaking off the daze from the ceiling.  He sent his mace flying at AJ, and AJ started to duck but the mace stopped dead in front of him, then crumbled into dust.  Quickly he looked at Rayne who was standing again and staring at him.  Taking one last look at her he took off out the doors and ran as fast as he could towards Nalia and Nick.

 

“Where is she!?” Nalia shouted.  “Alex where is she?!” She yelled again.

 

A loud rumble broke out around them and it caused everyone to drop to the ground.  Everyone but Pixca watched in horror as the Castle, the entire front half of the mountain caved in on itself.

 

“No” Nalia whispered. “No, Rayne…RAYNE!!” She screamed as she started running towards the pile of rubble.  Two arms reached out and stopped her; she snapped around and saw AJ standing there.  “You just left her there!?” Nalia yelled at him and then shoved him away.  “You said you loved her!” She yelled again and shoved him again.  “And you just left her there!” She cried.  AJ didn’t say anything he stood there letting Nalia shove him, letting his tears fall.  His head turned and he looked at Pixca.

 

“Why?” AJ choked out as he looked at her.  “Why did she have to stay?”

 

“Because she is a Druid and they are the only ones who can close the door to the demon world.” She told them.

 

“I didn’t see no fucking door!” AJ shouted at her.

 

“This place is the door, her death will bring life back to this land, and she will protect it.”  She said as AJ looked back to the rubble.  Nalia dropped to her knees and started crying; Nick slowly bent down and wrapped his arms around her.

 

“Alex” Nick said as he stood Nalia up.  AJ didn’t look at him he just kept staring at the rubble.  “Alex we should go check on the others.”

 

The mention of his friends snapped him out of his daze and he looked at the two and then to Pixca.  He nodded and started to walk towards the Gorge.  Nick looked down at Nalia who was still crying, he wrapped her tighter in his arms and started to walk her along side of him as he followed AJ.  Pixca followed behind and the closer she got to leaving Ashmourn the stronger she felt.

 

“Hey!!!” They heard someone shout and they all looked up.  AJ and Nick almost cracked a smile when they saw Kevin in the distance, then Brian, then Howie, then Kristin and her tiger, Leigh and Leigh B soon followed.

 

“They all made it.” Nick sighed in relief.

 

When everyone met up they all started hugging excited and happy to see each other alive and well.  Well Kevin was a little beat up, Leigh Anne was too, but they probably saw more combat than the others.

 

“Where’s Rayne?” Kevin asked looking around.

 

“Alex?” Leigh Anne asked as everyone looked at him.

 

“Oh” Kristin gasped when AJ didn’t say anything he just stared at Kevin.

 

“What happened?” Kevin asked AJ.  AJ shook his head not ready to deal with it all again. 

 

“Where’s Avit?” He asked forcing his emotions back.

 

“He’s back at camp, he took a nasty sword to the shoulder but he’s going to be ok.” Kevin told him.  AJ nodded and started walking into the Gorge.  Nick motioned for everyone to follow as he held Nalia against him and started walking back to camp.

 

 

 

Chapter 33 by VeeLynn

                                        The Guardian Crusade

                                          Volume II

 

                                           Chapter 33

 

            “Avit, we are ready for him.” Jaina said as she stood in Avit’s General room.

           

“Thank you for coming to tell me.” Avit nodded.  “We will be there shortly; he just needs a couple of more minutes.”

 

“Very well.” Jaina replied.  She turned around and reached for the door but stopped.  “How is he?”

 

“In public he is strong for his people and for her people but in private he is but a mere shell of what he use to be.”  Avit told her with a frown.  “He won’t leave his room, I can barely get him to eat and he still will not let Nickolas anywhere near him.”

 

“His friends are still here?” She asked.

 

“Yes, I spoke with Sir Kevin and he says they are all staying until he gets past this.” He replied.

 

“That is good to hear.”  Jaina lightly smiled.

 

“How is the Queen Mother?” He asked.

 

“She lost her husband and now her daughter to this mess but she was once a Queen and hides herself from me.” Jaina replied.

 

“And you?” Avit asked.  “You two had become close had you not?”

 

“Yes we were.” Jaina said with a light smile.  “And I miss her.” Jaina paused.  “I should go I will inform them back in Sarila that he will be there shortly.” 

 

Avit nodded and watched her walk out of the room.  He took a deep breath and sighed.  He missed her too.  Rayne was one of the most amazing humans he had ever known.  But what made it worse was he knew the pain his King, his friend was going through and he knew the only thing that would make it better would be time. For Alex he wondered just how long that would be.

 

He picked up his new sword and slipped it into its strap.  Looking into his mirror he checked and made sure his ceremonial armor was proper and then left his Generals room.  Walking down the halls he looked at the servants all of them wearing black, the mood in the Castle and in the city was very somber everyone morning the loss of Queen Rayne, all of them knowing she gave her life for them and for Pixca.

 

When he came upon AJ’s room he found himself taking a deep breath before he knocked on the door.  He knew if he was in there AJ wouldn’t answer but he thought it best to knock anyways.  Putting his arm down he waited and listened for AJ to answer only to be left standing at the door.  Avit reached for the knob and turned it, it opened and he walked inside the room.

 

“Sir?” Avit said when he saw AJ sitting at the open window.  Still he said nothing and Avit walked further into his room. He sat on the windowsill bench staring at something outside “Alex?”

 

“I can’t do this again.” AJ said not moving his eyes, his head, or anything but his lips to speak.  “I can’t say goodbye again.”

 

“It is for the people Sir.” Avit said politely.

 

“The hell with the people!” AJ shouted.  “What about me? I close my eyes and all I can see is everything coming down, all I hear are her last words to me, and all I can think about is why the hell didn’t I drag her out of there, why did I…why did I just let her die…” AJ cried and he pulled his knees up to his chest and buried his head in his arms.

 

“You did it because she asked you too, you knew deep down it is what she wanted Alex, and you know she was willing to give her life for this place.” Avit said as he sat down beside him.

 

“Please Avit I can’t do this again, yesterday with the Elvaans it was hard enough, get Nalia to do it.” AJ said as a tear fell from the corner of his eye.

 

“Of course Alex.” Avit nodded as he stood up.  “Get some rest then.”  He told him as he pointed to the bed.

 

“I’ll try.” AJ sighed as he looked back out the window.  Avit watched him for a minute and then exited the room.

 

“Is he ready?” Kevin asked as Avit was greeted by AJ’s friends.

 

“He is not going; he is not up to it.” Avit told them.  “The taverns all know not to serve him, but I can have one of the spies follow him, keep an eye on him.”

 

“We really need to go that far?” Brian asked.

 

“He is in bad shape; I trust him but not the condition he is in at the moment.” Avit told them.  “Will you still be coming?” He asked.

 

“Yeah, we’ll go.” Kevin nodded.

 

“Very well come with me then.” Avit said with a light smile and the group headed down the hallway towards the globe to Sarila.

 

 

 

 

 

 

AJ sat on the windowsill his stare locked on the Tree Falls.  Memories of him and Rayne there were swirling through his head.  The sound of foot steps across his floor made him close his eyes in frustration; he just wanted to be alone.

 

“Damn it what now?” He moaned as he turned his head.  “You” AJ said staring at the Elvaan woman in his room.  “Get out” AJ said as he stood up from the bench.  “I don’t want to talk you, I don’t want to see you, after everything I’ve done for you, and you let the most important person in my life slip away!”

 

“Alexander please.” Pixca spoke trying to calm him.

 

“I said get out!” AJ growled at her.  “I don’t want too see you, I want nothing to do with you, now get OUT!!”

 

“Very well” Pixca sighed and she disappeared right in front of him.

 

The rage rushed through him and he grunted as he breathed heavily.  He grabbed a glass vase that sat on the table and threw it across the room.  Screaming out emotion that flowed through him, the vase crashed against the wall shattering into pieces, and AJ collapsed to the floor crying.

 

“My dear son.” A voice broke out from behind him and AJ spun around.  His jaw fell and he quickly wiped his eyes, wondering if the tears were playing tricks on him.

 

“Marsa?” AJ said quietly unsure what he was seeing.

 

“Look at you” Marsa said with a smile.  “You broke the protection spell.”

 

“Uh, yeah” AJ said looking around.

 

“Well you make a very good looking Elvaan.” Marsa smiled.

 

“Thanks.” AJ said as he flashed a tiny smile. 

 

“You get your looks from your Mother.” Marsa replied.  “But that temper.” He said looking at the mess on the floor by the wall.  “Where did you get that from?”

 

“Must be an Earth trait.” AJ said as he got up.

 

“Must be.” Marsa sighed.  “I hate seeing you in all this pain.”  AJ said nothing as he walked over and began cleaning up the pieces. 

 

            “Well it’s a good thing you’re dead too then.” AJ said as he looked at him.  “You can just poof and then you don’t have to see it anymore.”

 

            “Alex” Marsa sighed.

 

“Are you here to tell me you can bring her back?” AJ said looking at him.

 

“No” Marsa said with a frown.

 

“Then just go” AJ sighed.  “Or whatever it is you do, because that’s the only thing that will fix this.”

 

“Time will heal…”

 

AJ interrupted him.  “Don’t feed me that shit!” AJ shouted.  “Time will heal this, time will heal that, no it won’t, the only thing time will do is make me miss her more.  I’ll never hold her again, I’ll never touch her again, I’ll never kiss her again, I’ll never see her again and as each day passes the want, the need for her will get worse.”

 

“You do not know that.” Marsa said.

 

“Yes I do” AJ snapped.  “I do know it because I feel it, she was my everything, she was my life, she was best friend, she was my world, not this place and now she’s gone and I did nothing.”  AJ yelled as he tossed the pieces into the garbage.  “I did nothing, I let her die, I let the Castle and the mountains come down on her, I killed her.”

 

“No you did not Alexander.” Marsa said sternly.  “She made the decision herself, she chose to stay; she knew what she was doing.”  AJ looked at him as he wiped his eyes.  “You will need to get past this, not now, or a week from now, but you will need to get over this, get past this, or it will eat you up and I know that is something she would not have wanted.”

 

AJ closed his eyes as he rubbed them, trying to ignore the stinging pain of the truth Marsa had given him.  When he opened them again the Elvaan man was gone and he sighed wondering how much of that really happened.  He walked over to their bed and sat down.  Slowly he crawled up the mattress and laid his head on his pillow.  Looking over to the empty spot where she would sleep he reached out and touched her pillow.  Pulling it over to him he closed his eyes as he breathed in the sent of the pillow.  The smell of her shampoo, the smell of the perfume oil she wore still strong and he brought the pillow closer to him, holding it like he would be holding her if she was lying next too him right now. 

 

“What am I going to do without you?” He whispered as buried his face into the pillow and began to cry again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Queen Rayne gave her life to banish the demons that plagued this world, and there will be a time to honor her for the sacrifice she made but today, we morn our loss.” Nalia spoke as the people of Sarila cried and listened.  “Sarila…” Nalia was cut off by the sound of the large doors at the side of the auditorium opening.  Everyone looked to see who it was disturbing this moment but when they saw AJ walk out in a long dark green hooded robe, they all stood up and began to whisper.  His face was mostly covered by the long hood, only the jaw outline and his nose broke out from the shadows of the headpiece, and the bottom of his long dark hair hung out from the sides, his beads dangling as he walked.

 

The assistant beside Halian stood up so that AJ could sit next to her.  Rayne’s Mom stood up when he approached her and the two hugged.  They both sat down together and AJ took her hand.  He looked up at Nalia and she lightly smiled at him. 

 

Nalia continued as everyone listened.  She talked about the pain they were all feeling, the emptiness they felt over the loss of their Queen and then she looked at AJ.

 

“And even though we look to King Alexander for strength we must remind ourselves that he needs ours more.” She spoke to the crowd.  “For he too has also sacrificed for us and for Pixcadia.” 

 

When it was over AJ sat in his seat as everyone around him got up and left, when the servants, aids, assistants, and guards had cleared out from the building, it was just AJ, Halian, Nalia, Nick, the guys and their wives.  Nick hung back away from AJ.

 

“I’m glad you decided to come.” Halian said to AJ.

 

“I came for you.” AJ said quietly.

 

“Come darling walk me to my dinning hall, I’m famished.” She said as she took him by the arm.  He lightly smiled and oblige and they both walked out of the auditorium.

 

“Well hello to you too.” Kevin sighed.

 

“It’s cause I’m here.” Nick said as he sat back.  “How the hell was I supposed to know?”

 

“You weren’t Nick and he’ll see that.” Brian said to him.

 

“You are not the only one he is taking his anger out on.” Nalia said as she sat down beside him.

 

“Yeah dude we’re all feeling it.” Kevin said.  “So what’s going on with Rossi?”

 

“Dunno, not talking to him.” Nick said as he stood up.  “Not after what Pixca told me and the way he was acting he knew exactly what happened.”

 

“Lady Nalia” Bussa said as he rushed into the room from the side doors.

 

“Bussa what is it?”  She asked.

 

“Our scouts have come back from Ashmourn.” Bussa told her.

 

“What did they say?” She asked.

 

“I suggest you go find King Alexander and see for yourself.” Bussa told her.  Nalia looked at him confused and then walked towards the doors, everyone following behind her. 

 

“What did you find Bussa?” Nalia asked in a whisper.  He looked at her and she sighed.  “I am not going to go in there, go through the trouble of dragging him down there without knowing what for.” She told him.

 

“The scouts said there was a forest there.” Bussa whispered.

 

“A what?” Nalia asked as she stopped dead, the people behind her almost slamming into her.

 

“A forest Milady.” He repeated.  She looked at him confused and then started walking to the dinning hall.  They all walked into the room and stopped by the doors.

 

“What is wrong Nalia?” Halian asked as Nalia walked up to her and AJ.

 

“My scouts have reported that there is something going on in Ashmourn.” Nalia said looking at AJ.

 

“What did they say?” AJ asked as he head quickly popped up.

 

“There is a forest there now.” Nalia told them.

 

“A what?” Halian said confused.

 

AJ looked down the words of Pixca and Rayne’s last words to him flashed through his head.  Quickly he stood up and bolted out of the room, everyone including Halian followed him down the halls, upstairs and through the doors of the Globe room to Kalica.  When they got to the city they made their way to the Gryphon tower and headed out towards Ashmourn.

 

They flew over the large forest where they set up camp, they flew over the open field that led to the Gorge and then the giant birds swooped down into the Gorge.  AJ stopped his bird and let it hover over the empty canyon. 

 

“Alex.” Nalia said as she drifted up beside him.  “Where is this water coming from?”  AJ looked around as he pulled off his hood and watched the small river of water floating through the canyon.

 

Gently he kicked his bird and it started to fly again. It soared above the water as he headed to the opening of Ashmourn.  He wanted to make the bird fly faster but even they had their limits.  As they approached the end of the Gorge AJ saw nothing but trees and he pulled on his Gryphon slowing it.  Looking back he checked to see if the others behind him were slowing.  When he reached the edge of the forest AJ landed his bird and hopped off.

 

“Alexander what is this?” Halian asked as she walked up beside him.

 

“I dunno, this place was…it was nothing but lava, dirt, and rocks.” AJ said confused.  “I’m going to go check it out.”

 

“I’m coming with you.” Halian said.

 

“Halian I don’t know what’s in there.” AJ told her.

 

“And are you forgetting who taught you half the magic you know, including that little elemental you love so much.” She shot at him.

 

“Point taken” AJ sighed knowing she had him, like every other time he tried to talk her out of going some where with them.  “At least stay close. Everyone stay close we don’t know what’s in there.”

 

“Do you see anything?” Nalia asked Nick as they started walking into the forest.

 

“No, I don’t see anything but trees and flowers and crap, no death essence anywhere.” Nick said looking at her.

 

They walked deeper and deeper into the place; they followed the river which seemed to go all the way through the forest.  They climbed hills and had to cross the water a few times some areas just too high or thick to get through, they saw animals and insects and everything that was life. 

 

“We’ll stop for a minute.” AJ said turning around.

 

“Wait” Howie said looking around.

 

“What?” Everyone asked him

 

“I hear water.” Howie told them.

 

“Yeah dude, river right there.” Nick said ass he rolled his eyes.

 

“No I mean like a water fall.” Howie said as he shot Nick a look.

 

“Ahead of us?” Kevin asked.

 

“Yeah” He nodded.

 

“Let’s go then.” AJ said as they started to walk along the river bed again.

 

“The trees are getting lighter.” Halian said as she walked beside AJ.

 

“There’s a field out there.” Howie said from behind them. Everyone walked through the trees into an opening and stopped as they came to the source of the river, a large pool of water and a tall water fall coming from the cliffs. 

 

“Wow look at that” Brian said as he took everyone’s attention.  They followed to where he was pointing and they were all taken back by the large tree that sat on the east side of the pool of water. 

 

“That’s a lot of deer.” Kevin said looking at the families of does, fawns and bucks that scattered around the tree.

 

“There’s something in the tree but I can’t see through all the leaves.” Howie said as he stepped forward hoping for a better look.

 

“Should we go over?” Nick asked.

 

“And get trampled by Bambi, no thanks.” Brian scoffed.  Nick made a face at him and then took a light slap from Nalia.

 

 “He started it.” He whispered to her. 

 

“But you kept it going.” She answered back.

 

“Yeah there’s defiantly something in the tree.” Howie nodded.

 

“Well shouldn’t we leave it alone?” Kristin spoke up.

 

“Where was the Castle?” Kevin asked and everyone looked at him.

 

“I dunno everything is so different.” Nalia said looking around.

 

“Over there.” AJ said pointing.  “The cliffs on the east side, it was over there.”

 

“Ah guys.” Howie spoke up.

 

“We know dude something’s in the tree.” Nick sighed.

 

“No, it’s out of the tree now and walking around.”  Howie said pointing.

 

Everyone looked over and squinted to look at the figure walking around the tree.  “What the hell…” AJ whispered as he started walking towards it.

 

“Careful Alex.” Kevin said following him as did everyone else.

 

When AJ approached the deer’s a familiar voice spoke up.  “Stop Alex.”

 

“What do you want?” AJ asked not even needing to turn around to know it was Pixca.  “Thought I told you to stay out of my sight.”

 

“Alex” Halian said a little appalled.

 

“What is that?” Howie asked as he walked up to Pixca.

 

            “It is a Dryad.” Pixca told them.

 

“What is that?” Nalia asked.

 

“They use to be Druids, Druids who have sworn to protect this land from the evil that lies here.” Pixca explained.  AJ slowly turned his head and looked at her.

 

“Protect Winnol, protect Sarila, protect the people, and I will protect you.” He heard her voice whisper to him and quickly he looked back at the Dryad.  “Rayne?” AJ whispered as he started to walk towards the tree.  “Rayne!” He shouted as he started running towards it.  The Dryad heard him and quickly looked up, she saw the strange person running towards her and she took off behind the tree.  AJ stopped running and watched her climb up the branches.  “Rayne it’s me, it’s Alex Rayne.” AJ said as he walked up to the bottom of the tree.

 

“She does not know who you are” Pixca said from beside him.  “She has no memory of who she use to be.” AJ stood there staring at the large, thick, and tall oak type tree.

 

“Come Alex” Halian said as she walked up beside him.  “We should go and leave it in peace.”

 

“Hali…” AJ said looking at her.  Rayne’s Mother frowned at the anguish on his face.

 

“I know Alexander but our Rayne is gone” Halian replied as she took his arm.  “You heard Pixca, let us not disturb her anymore.”

 

AJ bowed his head and closed his eyes as he fought back more tears.  He took Halian’s arm and headed towards the river.  Slowly everyone started the follow them and soon everyone was returning to the dense forest.  He stopped and looked back at the tree one last time.  Taking a deep breath he stared at the tree, the Dryad still had not come down from the branches, and he sighed hopping he would get one last look.

 

So this was going to be his life now, the burden of two country’s on his shoulders, the sting of pure heartbreak and now the knowledge that this creature, a creature who use to be someone he loved was here in this forest.  Never being able to talk to her and never be able to hold her AJ thought about her last words.

 

“I will protect you.”

 

“And now I will protect you” AJ whispered as he looked away from the tree and followed Halian, who was waiting for him, into the forest.

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10897