Miss You Nights by Little Star
Summary:

We grew up together
We were each others firsts
I loved her and she loved me
Now we’re both in England on Football Scholarships
Can we make it work or will these miss you nights
become the longest that we have ever known?
A Nicky Byrne Fan Fic


Categories: Fanfiction > Music > Westlife Characters: Bryan, Nicky
Genres: Angst, Drama, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: No Word count: 4660 Read: 1914 Published: 06/14/12 Updated: 06/20/12
Story Notes:

This story has been my baby for a few weeks. please give it a chance i promise i won't disappoint. :)

1. 1: Start of a New Life by Little Star

2. 2: Irish Son by Little Star

1: Start of a New Life by Little Star
Author's Notes:


Midnight diamonds stud my heaven
Southwards burning like the jewels that eye your place
And the warm winds that embrace me
Just as surely kissed your face
Yet those miss you nights they're the longest
 
Miss You Nights; Westlife

 

I remember the day she left, it was the day that everything changed and our street in Dublin was never the same again. She changed all the boys in our street for the better, especially me. I don’t know why I let myself get so attached, I knew it would never last and she’d never truly love a guy like me. She was the most beautiful girl I had ever seen and the fact we grew up together made it hurt even more. I sat at my window for days after she left, hoping she’d come back realising she had made the wrong decision. I was hoping that she found playing Football in England to not be as fun as they had made it out to be when they scouted her. Now two years later I’m off to Leeds to play in the Leeds Youth Development Academy for Football. Part of me hopes I might run into her if I head to London for tournaments or camps but knowing my luck probably not.

 

You’re probably wondering whom the girl is that I’m talking about. Her name is Summer McFadden; we grew up together in Dublin going to day care, kindergarten, primary school and the first year of high school together. We played football together from the time we were four until we were twelve and they wouldn’t let her play with boys anymore even though she was just as good as them and we learnt how to play the piano together. We were best friends and so when we were fourteen I asked her out after a school dance where we both shared our first kiss with each other. We dated for six months before she announced she had been scouted by Liverpool Women’s Football Development Academy in London and she left with two weeks notice. I have the address of the Academy that she is at and I have written to her a few times, getting letters back but not saying too much. Each letter I sent her seemed like an essay. She promised she’d wait until she came back to Dublin and we could be together again… It’s been two years and she’s still not back and I have hardly heard for her in the past six months alone.

 

As I packed my football kit with training gear such as shirts, spare football boots and studs, keepers gloves, water bottles and shorts, my Mum knocked on the door.
“Nix, how far off being ready to go are you?”
“About fifteen minutes Mam, let me just pack my kit then I’ll bring my other bags down.”
“I can’t believe you go today.”
“Do you know if the McFadden’s are home?”
“I think so, I think I saw Lachlan in the front yard before.”
“I’m just going to go over there quickly and talk to Jess. I want to see if I can get Summer’s number.”
“Nix.”
“Mam, I’m allowed to be friends with the girl, especially if we’re both based in England now.”
“I just don’t want you getting hurt again.”
“I’ll be fine, I’m a big boy.”
“If you insist but I’m not going to be there to pick up the pieces Nicholas.”
“I know mam, I know.”

After I finished packing and taking my bags out to the car, I changed into my formal uniform for the Academy of a white collared shirt, a blue and yellow striped tie, a black blazer with the Leeds Crest and black suit pants and black dress shoes. I went downstairs to the kitchen where Mum was putting food for my car trip together. 

“Oh Nix you look so handsome.”
“Thanks Mam.”
“Can I get a photo?”
“No!”
“Nicholas come on. You look adorable plus it can replace that school photo of yours.”
“Oh fine but can you hurry up? I need to go round to the McFadden’s.”
“Okay. Give me two seconds and I’ll get the camera from the office.”

 

Mum took some snaps of me in my uniform, passed me the food she had prepared and hugged me tightly.
“I’ll miss you sweetheart.”
“I’ll miss you too Mam but I promise I’ll call as soon as I arrive and every day.”
“Good.” She replied as she kissed my cheek. “Go and get your father to come out and say goodbye. I think he’s watching the football.”
“Okay.”

 

I wandered into the TV room and saw my Dad sitting and watching Premier League on the TV.
“Pops, I’m going.”
“Oh already?
“Yeah I need to get over to Hollyhead by tonight seeing as I’m driving.”
“Are you sure you don’t want me to do the drive with you?”
“I’m sure. I need to do this on my own Pops. But thank you.”
“Okay. But you’re staying the night tonight in Hollyhead yes?”
“Yeah then I’ll keep driving to Leeds tomorrow.”
“Make sure you call.”
“Don’t worry I will. I already told Mam I would.”
“Good lad. Well I guess I’ll see you when I come down for your first tournament.”
“I hope so.”

 

I hugged my Dad tightly, we were really close and I could tell this was hard on him letting me go all the way to Leeds. Once I said my last goodbyes to Mum and Dad I got in my car and drove up to the McFadden’s house at the end of the street. I got out and knocked at the door. Lachlan, Summer’s older brother answered the door.
“Oh hey Nix, wow you look all dressed up. I heard you leave for England today. Congratulations.”
“Thanks.”
“What’s the reason for the visit?”
“I was wondering if I could have Summer’s number so I can arrange to catch up with her while I’m in England.”
“Oh yeah sure come on in. “

I spent five minutes at the McFadden’s, while Lachlan got the number for Summer and gave me the address of her boarding school if I wanted to take her out one weekend. I thanked Lachlan and drove off to the Ferry to take me over to Wales so I could start my drive to Leeds the next morning.

 

On the ferry ride over to Wales, I sat in my car and read my contract for Leeds, player manual, accommodation rules, school rules and subject selection and requirements for senior squad selection and youth squad selection. According to my forms I would be rooming with a guy from Australia, Harry Kewell. For schooling we had to go to The Grammar School at Leeds and complete four subjects three days a week. The list I had to pick from was; English, General Maths, Health and PE. French, Music, Drama, Business, Ancient History, Modern History, Literature, Religious Education (Catholic or Anglican), Art, Photography and Legal Studies. I had narrowed it down to English, Literature, HPE and Music.  For the Academy we had been given timetables with our specified training sessions along with the times we would have for school, study and social activities.  We had to spend six hours a day training four days a week. This was going to be a rude shock to my body but hey if I want to achieve my childhood dream I guess that’s what I have to do. I was a goal keeper so I had specialised training sessions that I had to attend.

 

When the ferry eventually arrived in Hollyhead, I made my way to a motel for the night. I was going to wake up at 4am to start the five hour journey to Leeds to be there in time for Orientation afternoon and to settle into my accommodation and get my school uniform and the like. When I settled into my motel room, I called Mam to let her know I was safe and then I decided I’d call Summer.

 

The phone rang three times then I heard her voice, “Hello Summer McFadden.”
“Summer, it’s Nicky Byrne.”
“Nix! Hey babe how are you?”
“I’m really good how are you?”
“I’m fantastic now I’ve heard from you. What’s happening?”
“Well I got accepted into the Leeds Youth Academy and I’m on my way there now.”
“So you’re in England.”
“Sure am!”
“Well I’m going to be in Leeds in two weeks time for a tournament so we’ll have to catch up then.”
“That sounds great, so have you got a boyfriend over here?”
“No, of course not. I promised I’d wait for you Nix and I have. Now we’re both in England we can give it a shot.”
“But you’re in London, I’m in Leeds.”
“It’s called weekends, holidays and tournaments Nix. I’m pretty sure you’ll come to London a fair bit. WE always have the Leeds boys around.”
“Oh really? That’s sweet. Are they nice guys?”
“They have huge egos, I wouldn’t be friends with any of them. I’m friends with a few of the Liverpool boys but yeah. Please just stay your lovely self.”
“I will. I’m not changing don’t worry. When have I ever changed?”
“Never, you’re always going to be my Nix.”
“Anyway, I had better go. I have to get up early to make it to the academy in time tomorrow.”
“Okay. Well call me when you get there and give me the number I can call you on.”
“I will. I’ll see you soon Sum. I missed you.”
“I missed you too Nix, more than you know.”

 

I sighed and hung up. I was actually shocked to hear that Summer hadn’t found herself someone in England. She’s absolutely gorgeous so I’m sure she would have turned down a few eligible Liverpool boys for me which I am completely surprised about.  I know I shouldn’t have doubted her about not seeing other people but I had a right to be worried. 

 

End Notes:

pretty please review x
i am also working on updates for my other stories on here. Uni has just been so hectic and i've been working on this fic since the idea popped into my head x

2: Irish Son by Little Star
Author's Notes:

Chapter 2. 

This is the city that raised me
With the religion they gave me
Now I'm old enough to know my own mind
And it was leaving that saved me

Irish Son; Brian McFadden

 

 

The next morning I woke up at 4am to the sound of the bedside alarm. I had a shower and got back into the uniform I had on yesterday. It was a requirement to wear it for orientation. I looked in the mirror at my appearance, my blonde hair was all spikey and I looked half asleep still. I figured I’d stop for a coffee before I got on the road.

 

The traffic wasn’t too bad for the first hour, but when I hit Manchester, congestion was rife. I pulled into a McDonalds to grab a take away coffee and a few hash browns for the trip. I had my radio playing the Beatles and I was singing along. As Leeds became closer, my nerves started to set in. This would be my first time away from home for a long period of time. My little brother Adam and my older sister Gillian were at boarding school but my parents kept me at home in Dublin. I had anxiety issues from the time I was about ten years old. We can’t figure out what triggered it but it’s something I have to keep an eye on. I don’t do well in crowds or new situations so right in that moment I was beginning to get anxious.

 

When I pulled into the carpark at the Leeds Academy, I realised that this was it. Life was about to change and for the better. I was about to be known for something I was actually talented at. I was no longer just a boy from Dublin. I got out of the car and got my satchel bag and made my way into the offices. I asked at the reception for the head coach, Scott Adams and I was directed to his office. I knocked once and I heard a voice telling me to come in.

 

“Hello sir, I’m Nicholas Byrne.”
“Ah yes the young lad from Dublin. Welcome to Leeds son!”
“Thank you sir.”
“Now sit down we need to go through some of the paperwork that we sent you.”
“Sure.” I replied, pulling a pile of papers from my satchel along with a pen.

I had a whole heap of forms to fill out for school and the academy. The forms for the academy had already been signed by my parents where it had to be then I had to sign all my parts. The school forms were all my personal details, contact details and the like. While I was filling out the paperwork I asked Mr Adams, “Excuse me sir, I was wondering do we have anything to do with the Liverpool Women’s Development Academy?”
“Why is that?”
“Just one of my neighbours from Dublin is playing there and we were hoping we’d get to see each other.”
“We have quite a bit to do with the girls down there. I’m presuming that girl is Summer McFadden?”
“Yes sir, how did you know?”
“She’s the only girl from Ireland that plays in the Under 17 division. She’s a talented one too.”
“I know! We grew up playing mixed football together until we were twelve.”
“Well I might just be able to send you down to Liverpool for an exchange weekend if you like or one weekend you can go down to London and stay with her. Your weekends are your own here unless we have a game or tournament.”
“Where am I staying exactly sir?”
“Ah yes your accommodation. Well as you probably read you’re bunking with Harry Kewell. We have a block of apartments just down the road from here that you all live in. It’s fully furnished you just bring your own things from home that you want and make it your own.”
“Awesome.”
“There are unit inspections twice a month and you are expected to keep the place tidy at all times.”
“Yes sir.”
“What subjects did you decide to pick for school?”
“English, PE, Literature and Music sir.”
“Okay. Now I’ll give you directions to the school, you need to go up and get your uniform, sign up for the football team, and register for your classes.”
“Do I have to sign up for the football team if I’m playing here?”
“Yeah we have a scholarship deal with the school. It’s okay though because your training here counts towards training there.”
“Oh okay, are we in the A grade team?”
“It depends. Trials are in a week to decide. Our boys always end up in either As or Bs for Opens. I’m sure with your keeping ability you’d make the A grade.”
“I guess I’ll see how I go.”
“Okay well here’s your key to your apartment and the address. There’s no training this afternoon but tomorrow morning at six am you are expected to be in the gym here.”
“Too easy.”
“Oh and Byrne, head down to the dressing room and pick up all your uniforms for the academy. You have three formal uniforms, five sets of training kit and two match uniforms.”
“Okay, thank you.”
“Let me know if you need anymore training uniforms or match uniforms but you should be okay.”
Thanks sir.”
“You’re free to go.”

“Thanks, see you tomorrow.”

 

I shook his hand, picked up my satchel and made my way down to the dressing rooms which I found after getting lost twice. I couldn’t help but stop and look around and take in my surroundings. I was in Leeds now for Christ’s sake. I wasn’t just some nobody from Dublin anymore. I was on my way to making it big. After all those representative carnivals in Ireland and various goal keeping competitions, I was about to have the chance to be picked for Premier League football! After all that was the condition of the Academy. We are all given opportunities throughout our time there to play for the Youth side and the Elite Premier League side but only through trials and dedication to training and good match play.

I found my locker which had BYRNE printed across it in large letters. I opened it to discover ten coat hangers with my uniforms hung on them. On the back of my match shirt BYRNE was across it with the kit number 49. This is it Nix. This is your time to shine.

 

I took my clothes up to my car and hung them in the back. As I made my way to the school, I managed to work out where the local pub is, the sports shop, physio, supermarket and clothes shop was.  When I pulled into the school, I was astounded at how big and old it was. I knew it was a Grammar school but still! It was pretty impressive. Back home I just went to the local Catholic High School this was so much bigger and seemed so much more prestigious. I didn’t deserve to have this school on my resume because I never did too well at school up until now because football has always been my priority. However in order to keep my place at the Academy I needed to keep an average of Bs in my grades. This was going to be the hard part.

 

I made my way into the office of the school and spoke to the receptionist.
“Ah you must be Nicholas Byrne. We were told to expect you today.”
“How did you know?” I asked.
“The blazer dear, we know you Leeds lads when we see you anyway.”
“How so?”
“You all have a certain look about you. You however Irish, seem different to the rest of them. You don’t seem to care about what people think of you.”
“I don’t. I’m just here to play football and make something of myself which is what I couldn’t do in Dublin.”
“Well I’m sure with an attitude like that young man you will go far. So here is your timetable, the academy just faxed through your paperwork. You need to go down to the uniform shop and get your uniform. You don’t have to pay, your scholarship covers it.” The lady at the front desk smiled.
“Thank you. I appreciate it.”
“Just go out the door here and down two flights of stairs and to your right and you’ll see the uniform shop.”
“Thank you!”
“See you next week.”

I followed her instructions and I came upon a huge room full of blazers, jumpers, collared shirts, ties, bags, football shirts, sports polos, short sleeved collared shirts, grey pants, grey shorts, hats, cricket whites, rowing suits, rugby jerseys and swimming trunks. I saw a lady standing behind the register.
“Hi miss, I’m sorry I’m Nicholas Byrne. I need to buy some uniforms.”
“Oh of course dear. What year will you be in this year?”
“Year eleven. I am on the Football Scholarship with Leeds United…”
“Oh. Okay well come with me I’ll help you get when you need.”

 

I ended up with four formal uniforms which consisted of a collared shirt, tie and pants and a hat, two black jumpers, three sport tracksuits, five sport uniforms which were black rugby pants and a red polo shirt, two football uniforms which were black football shorts and a purple and white football shirt and three summer uniforms of a collared short sleeve shirt and grey shorts. I was also given a school shoulder bag and a sports bag.

 

“Thank you so much.”
“It’s okay dear. Now you need these badges to put on your blazer lapel and these are the school socks and some garters. Also what you need are some black leather shoes too, what size are you?”
“Eleven”
“Okay.” She replied as she pulled out a box with a pair of black leather shoes.
“Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it.”
“It’s my pleasure dear. Enjoy your time here. I’m sure you’ll love it here.”
“I’m sure I will. It seems like a wonderful school.”

 

My next stop was my apartment. I pulled up at a block of brick apartments and I found the carspace for my apartment and parked there. I decided I’d carry up all my school uniforms first then come for the heavier stuff later. When I put the key into the lock I was expecting to come across a rather daggy apartment but when I opened the door I saw a modern looking apartment with a lot of football memoribilla adorning the walls.

“Hello? Is anyone home?” I called out.

A guy my age walked out of one of the rooms wearing one of the Leeds training uniforms.
“You must be Nick my roommate. I’m Harry.”
“Nice to meet you!”
“I’ll show you your room!”

Harry took me into a room that had a double bed, a desk and a large wardrobe and a bathroom attached.
“This is your room. You’re free to put whatever you like on the walls and yeah. Do you want a hand bringing your stuff up?”
“That would be great.”
“What house did you end up being put into?” Harry asked while I quickly put my school uniforms in my wardrobe.
“Which ever house is the red one…”
“Harrison. They put most of us Leeds boys in there.”
“Oh okay, I thought they might split us all up?”
“It makes more sense to have us all in the one house because we are at school the least. What subjects did you put down?”
“English, Literature, PE and Music.”
“Wow Music, you’re game. Most of us Leeds boys do English, PE, Business and Photography because they’re the easiest subjects.”
“Really? I just chose areas that interest me.”
“Good on you, that means you’ll probably keep up the required average.”
“Hey just a question. Are you an Aussie?”
“Yeah, I sure am. I’m the only one at the academy. It’s a bit weird. You’ll be the only Irishman there too.”
“Oh really wow. I thought there were more Irishmen that got in.”
“You’re the only one who got through trials. They pick one from each country other than England. You’ll appreciate it as time goes on. It gets pretty competitive at the best of times.”
“How old are you?”
“Fifteen, yourself?”
“Sixteen.”
“Have you got a girlfriend?”
“Um we’re not exactly together anymore but we sort of are. It’s kind of complicated. You actually might know her, she’s at the Liverpool Girls Academy. Summer McFadden.”
“Oh Summer, yeah I know her. She doesn’t hang out with me though, she hangs out with Frankie, Joey and Mark.”
“Are they like the popular guys?”
“I guess you could say that. They like to think they can get any girl they like but I know none of them can get Summer. She keeps turning them down. Now I know why.”
“Yeah. We’ve been together since we were fourteen but we grew up together in Dublin in the same street.”
“Wow. Well she’s a talented footballer, I’ll give her that.”
“Well now that we are roomies I’m sure you’ll get to know her better.”
“I hear her contract at Liverpool is up soon because she’s been scouted by the Leeds Girls Academy.”
“Oh wow really? She didn’t tell me that.”
“It’s a rumour but I think Leeds has finally realised her potential. Liverpool apparently treat her like crap because she’s Irish. They aren’t exactly equal there. The girls are really bitchy, Summer seems to be the only nice one.”
“Well I hope Leeds does take her on, that makes things easier for me.” I said as I hung the last piece of my clothing up.

“It should. They’re pretty good about us dating as long as it doesn’t impact on our game plus our weekends are ours after games.”
“Have you got a girl?”
“Yeah her name is Luci. She goes to Leeds Girls Grammar. You’ll see her at school games all the time. She’s really nice, down to earth and sporty.”
“That’s awesome.”
“Come on, let’s go get your stuff. If you settle in now you can have a sleep then come out with the lads and I tonight.”
“Where are you going?” I said as we made our way out of my room.
“Just for dinner at the local Italian restaurant to celebrate the start of the season.”
“I might just have a night in. It was a fair drive today plus we have an early start tomorrow.”
“Fair enough.”
“What’s the deal with food and stuff?” I asked as we walked down to the car.
“We buy our own stuff. We chip in however much we feel necessary. I spend about $40 a week. The only food we really need is for dinner and we tend to get home at different times depending on what we have on and what your training timetable says.”
“What about breakfast and lunch?”
“Well if we have morning training the academy gives us breakfast or if we have school we get breakfast there and lunch well the school and academy provide us with that.”
“Oh awesome. This seems like a better deal than I thought.”
“Oh it is trust me. They treat us really well.”

 

Half an hour later all my bags and boxes were in my room, Harry had gone to shower and get ready to go out for dinner so I started to unpack everything and make my bed. Once all my clothes were away, my blazer I had been wearing during the day was over the back of the chair at my desk, everything was unpacked and I was sitting on my bed… I decided it was probably time I got myself some food. I hadn’t eaten since breakfast and I was starving. I knocked on Harry’s bedroom door, “Hey Harry, where’s a good Chinese place?”
“About three streets away. The menu is on the fridge.”
“Thanks man.”

 

I had a look at the menu and decided to order a fried rice and cashew chicken. The lady on the other end of the phone told me it would be ready in ten minutes. I grabbed my keys and wallet and headed down to my car. I decided in the time I had to wait for my dinner, I’d quickly go to the grocery shop and buy some food for myself.

 

The next morning I heard my alarm go off at five o’clock and I reluctantly got up and changed into my training kit for the gym. Harry was in the kitchen getting himself a quick glass of water.
“Want a lift down to training?” I asked him.
“Oh no it’s cool, I have to go to school straight after. What’s your plan for the rest of the day?”
“I’m not too sure, I’ll see what other training sessions are on and I might join in.”
“What’s your position?” Harry asked.
“I’m a keeper.”
“Well there’s a keeping session from midday til 2 if you want to join into that.”
“How many keepers are there here?”
“There’s five, six now that you’re here.”
“Okay awesome.”

 

When I got to training, Scott pulled me aside, “Ok Nick, I just found out that the Leeds girls academy has scouted your friend Summer. We do a lot of training with those girls but I expect you will remain completely professional in those sessions. Agreed?”
“Yes sir of course. I’d never dream of being unprofessional.”
“Good lad. Now get into the gym. Here’s your workout that I want you to do.”
“I have to ask, am I expected at the goal keeper session?”
“Yes, but that’s it for the day.”

 

Summer was moving to Leeds, this academy was starting to get better and better.

 

End Notes:

Let me know what you think. I am nearly finished the fic its self however I have no idea if anyone actually likes it... and I need to know if it is worth continuing...

Thanks x :)

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10943