Lost & Found by tiggerc128
Summary:

stories/2003/images/LF_Banner.jpg

Penelope didn't realize how her life would change the day she shared a cab with a stranger. He brought laughter back into her life. He also brought something she never ever thought she'd find. Love.


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Nick
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: Yes Word count: 31835 Read: 27975 Published: 08/25/12 Updated: 09/08/12
Story Notes:

Something I worked on a while back. Not a long story...just an idea I had.  Hope you enjoy.  

1. Chapter 1 by tiggerc128

2. Chapter 2 by tiggerc128

3. Chapter 3 by tiggerc128

4. Chapter 4 by tiggerc128

5. Chapter 5 by tiggerc128

6. Chapter 6 by tiggerc128

7. Chapter 7 by tiggerc128

8. Chapter 8 by tiggerc128

9. Chapter 9 by tiggerc128

10. Chapter 10 by tiggerc128

11. Chapter 11 by tiggerc128

12. Chapter 12 by tiggerc128

13. Chapter 13 by tiggerc128

14. Chapter 14 by tiggerc128

15. Chapter 15 by tiggerc128

Chapter 1 by tiggerc128

 

Lost and Found

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

                "AJ, do you have to be such a crude asshole? My love life is none of your business!"  Nick stormed away from AJ and sat in the golf cart, waiting for AJ to make his shot.

            When AJ makes it to the cart, he says, "Excuse me for caring! Geesh, you're so fucking jumpy.  What is it; you fell in love with a married girl?  Oh wait, is she in her 80's?  Fuck Nick, I'm just ASKING why you're so happy. I don't need details of your sex life...unless you REALLY want to share."

            Nick closes his eyes and counts to ten before saying, "AJ, look...it's a new relationship. We're getting to know each other. I don't want to jinx it by mixing her up in this lifestyle. We're not in the ‘meet the family' stage yet, so get a fucking grip ok? And DON'T mention me dating in any more interviews. OK?"

            AJ sighs and says, "OK, fine! Fuck, the fans will be happy if you're with someone decent for a change! You've had lousy taste in women."

            Nick says, "Gee, thanks AJ. Couldn't have been because you set a GREAT example now, could it?"

            AJ has the grace to blush under all his tattoos before saying, "Hey, I admit I made dumbass choices.  Don't blame me if you didn't pay attention to MY mistakes. Anyway, you've been with her six months and you're still hiding her. Can you BLAME us for being curious?"

            Nick starts feeling guilty. He says, "I'm sorry Man. I just don't want to talk about her until I know if it's real or not."

            AJ starts toward the next hole and says, "That's cool. At least tell me her name."

            Nick smiles a goofy smile and says, "Her name is Penelope."

 

Later that night

            She answers on the fifth ring with an out of breath, "Hello?"

            Nick says, "Penelope, you ok?"

            She tries to take a deep breath before saying, "Yeah...just came in from a run. How are you?"

            She can hear the smile in his voice when he says, "Missing you. I want to see you all sweaty again."

            She laughs and in a throaty whisper says, "You do, do you?"

            He groans and says, "Damn you sound hot. Can I come over?"

            She flops back on the couch and says, "If you do, it will be the 9th night in a row. My neighbors will talk."

            He says, "Well hell, we'll give them something to talk about and leave the curtains open." At her gasp, he says, "Please?"

            She sighs and says, "OK...but we're NOT leaving the curtains open."

            He says, "Hey, Penelope, I didn't mean..."

            She says, "Nick...it's ok.  I'm not that fragile anymore. I promise."

            He sighs and says, "I just...I don't want to upset you."

            She says, "Well if you don't get your ass over here, I'm going to be upset."

            He chuckles and says, "I'll be there in ten."

            She says, "Make it twenty, I need to shower."

            He growls into the phone, "Make it five, I wanna watch."

 

            He almost made it. Six and a half minutes later, he's knocking on her door. When she lets him in, he sweeps her into his arms and whispers, "Oh goody, you waited."

            After kissing her senseless, she whispers, "I had too. You know I love it when you do my back."

            He laughs, following her into the bedroom. When they get there, he grabs her and says, "I think I should be sweaty too."

            She squirms in his arms as his hands slide down to her ass. She pulls his lips to hers and he falls back across her bed. Her arms are trapped so she's helpless as he holds her tightly on top of him. His knee works between her legs and presses against her womanhood.  She wiggles, pressing down hard against his knee.

            He pulls his lips from hers and says, "Horny much?"

            She laughs and says, "Only for tall blondes with blue eyes named Nick."

            He loosens his grip on her, letting her slide her arms out. She scoots up his body, with her hands on his shoulders and kisses her way from his chin to his ear. He grabs her ass again and thrusts up into her, causing them both to moan. She whispers, "That feels so good."

            He nuzzles her neck as she bites his shoulder.  He whispers, "YOU feel good Sweetheart. I want to feel more."

            Bringing her eyes back to his, she whispers, "What's stopping you?"

            He holds her gaze and whispers, "Are you sure, Penelope? Are you ready?"

            She sighs and whispers, "Make love to me Nick."

            He's surprised but not stupid.  He pulls her face back to his and gives her the sexiest kiss he's ever shared with anyone. It's not only about tongue; it's about hands and bodies melding together as one.

            When she pulls away breathless, he sits up, leaving her straddling his knee.  She presses down on it and says, "Please..."

             He cups her face in his hands and whispers against her lips, "We have all night Baby. I've wanted this for too long to rush now."

            When he starts unbuttoning her blouse, her breath quickens.  When he pulls it open, she lets her head dip, her eyes falling from his. He brings her face back to his with a finger under her chin and whispers, "Don't you dare. You're beautiful Baby."

            She bites her lip, allowing him to push her shirt off her body. Allowing him to see the scars. He leans forward, kissing the jagged slash that runs from her collar bone to the swell of her breast. She sighs and he whispers, "Absolutely beautiful."

            It doesn't take long for his kisses to make her forget the scars. Make her forget the pain. Make her forget the night that changed her life just two years ago.

 

New York, March, 2010

            "Where are you Penelope Siobahn Evans?" Juliette yelled to her sister.

            Penelope says, "Do you have to shout? I'm right here. Where are we going?"

            Juliette says, "We're gonna go have dinner with Mom and Dad at Marco's then I'll bring you home. I know you have a big meeting tomorrow."

            Little did Penelope know that going home that night was going to change her life forever. After dinner, true to her word, Juliette dropped her off in front of her building.  After hugging her sister and promising to do lunch one day soon, Penelope headed inside for a much needed good night's sleep. 

            When she opened her door, she was grabbed and thrown against the wall. She heard a voice say, "What the fuck? You said she was out till late!"

            Another voice...one she knew very well, said, "She was supposed to be. Just get the shit and let's GO!"

            Penelope gasps and says, "Dave?"

            The first voice says, "You stupid fucker! She knows who you are!"

            Dave says, "Penny, you shouldn't be here."

            She whimpers in his vice like grip and says, "Let me go. Take what you want...please, don't hurt me."

            Dave says, "I'm not going to hurt you."

            The first, more sinister voice, says, "Speak for yourself."

            A white hot pain lances through her shoulder. At first she thinks she's been shot. Then she sees the glint of the metal blade as the knife slices through the air again, this time leaving a jagged cut across her face. 

            She falls to the floor, grabbing her face.  Dave says, "What the fuck do you think you're doing?! STOP IT!"

            She watches as the knife sinks into Dave's stomach. She closes her eyes at the sight of her boyfriend falling to his knees, clutching at the blade protruding from his body. She tries to scream, but she can't.

            The other man kneels, pulling the knife out of Dave and turning it on Penelope. She manages to scream when it sinks into her side, slicing her open. She feels herself sinking into oblivion when she hears one of her neighbors screaming, "Oh my God, PENNY!"

 

            Nick finishes undressing her as her hands slowly push his t-shirt up his body. He grabs it and tosses it aside as her hands land on his chest. Her touch is so delicate.  He's always had a thing for tall, statuesque women...but then he met Penelope. Barely 5'4" and so insecure.

 

September, 2011

Their meeting was purely accidental. Of all places, in a cab, in New York, in a thunderstorm. He was getting in one side, her the other. She tried to get out, but his hand on her arm stopped her. She had a scarf covering most of her face, but he could tell she was scarred. He offered to share the cab so she wouldn't have to wait in the rain for another one. As cold as she was, she agreed.

When they got to her building, she got out. He paid the cabby and followed her.  He watched through the door as she went to the elevators. She turns back to see him watching her. He smiles and holds up the bag she left in the car.

Slowly, she walks to the door and opens it, allowing him to step in out of the rain.  Trying to keep her face hidden, she says, "Thanks." After a brief pause, she says, "Thanks for sharing the cab. I should pay for it."

He says, "No, you shouldn't. But if you want to make me a cup of coffee, we'll call it even." He can see the struggle going on in her big green eyes. He smiles and says, "I can take a rain check too. We've already got the rain." Laughing, he says, "Have a nice day."

When he turns to leave, she shocks herself by saying, "Wait." When he turns, she says, "It's the least I can do. Maybe the rain will stop soon."

Secretly surprised, Nick follows her to the elevator. She tries to stand where he can't see her face. Finally, he says, "You know, it's really not a big deal."

Playing dumb, she says, "What?"

He says, "The scar. You don't have to hide it. It doesn't change how cute you are." Before she says anything, he says, "I'm Nick, by the way."

Feeling herself blushing, she says, "Penelope."

When they get to her door, he watches amazed as she unlocks 3 dead-bolts before pushing the door open. As she runs to shut off an alarm system, he gets even more curious. He watches as she returns to the door and turns all three locks, once again securing her home.  When she turns to him, he says, "What happened?" Before she can reply, he says, "I'm sorry, none of my business."

Sighing, she turns and heads into the kitchen, regretting her impulsiveness of asking him in for coffee.  He follows her and says, "Please, don't be offended. It's obvious something happened, even if the scar wasn't there.  I'm just insanely curious at how a beautiful woman can be so self conscious about something so insignificant."

That stops her. She turns to face him fully and he can see the scar is almost 3 inches long, starting on her cheek and going almost to her ear. She says, "You really think THIS is insignificant?"

He smiles and says, "It is to me, yes. That's not what grabbed my attention in the cab."

Curiosity wins out and she says, "What did?"

He says, "Your eyes. And your hands."

She looks down and says, "You don't have to...I'm used to it."

He steps closer, touching her chin and pulling her gaze back to his. He whispers, "I mean it. Your eyes are so big and bright. I've never seen anyone with such vibrantly green eyes." Lifting her hand, he says, "These are beautiful. So small and elegant." He brings his eyes back to her and slowly slides his finger across the scar. She winces and he pulls away, saying, "This is just an unanswered question."

She turns away and makes their coffee, her nerves a jumbled mess.  The first time in over 2 years she's been touched by a man and he seems unaffected by the repulsiveness of her face. When she turns back, he says, "How you long have you lived in New York?"

She says, "Umm, my parents adopted me when I was 2 weeks old. They moved here from Florida after that. This is all I've ever known."

He takes the cup she's holding out to him and says, "Do you like it?"

Shrugging, she says, "I used to. Now I just want to leave and never come back."

He says, "Why don't you?"

 

Penelope drags her nails down his chest as he pushes her now naked form back on the bed. He sucks on her neck, whispering, "Beautiful. Simply breathtaking."

From any other man, she'd think it was just words. But Nick means it. He doesn't care about her past. He doesn't care about the scars. He only cares about her. For the first time in a long, long time, Penelope feels attractive. The power of the feeling consumes her in ways she never dreamed were possible.  As he presses between her legs for the very first time, he whispers, "I'm falling in love with you Penelope."

 

 

 

End Notes:

Love to hear your thoughts, Please. :)

 

Chapter 2 by tiggerc128

 

Lost and Found

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 2

 

            After throwing away the used condom, Nick wraps Penelope in his arms and whispers, "That was...WOW!"

            She sighs, loving how it feels to have his skin pressing against hers. She says, "I couldn't have said it better."

            He lets his fingers run lazily up and down her arm as he says, "I didn't hurt you, did I?"

            She kisses his chest before saying, "No. Never!"

            He laughs and says, "Good. Because I don't ever want to hurt you."

            She props up on her elbow to look at him and says, "Nick, look what you've done for me. You make me forget...you make me feel like I'm beautiful."

            He says, "How many times do I have to tell you that you are beautiful before you'll believe me?"

            She sighs and says, "Nick..."

            In a sing-song voice he says, "Penelope...I mean it. So what, you have a few scars. It doesn't mean shit to me. I love you for who you are...not JUST for your body."

            His words stop her cold. She says, "What? What did you say?"

            Realizing what he had said, he kind of smiles and says, "I love you Penelope."

            Her lower lip quivers and she whispers, "You mean it, don't you?"

            He wipes a tear from her face and says, "You know I do. You get me in ways no one ever has. I can be the real me in front of you and you let me. You let me into your world even when I knew you didn't want to. You wanted to hide from me but you didn't. I wonder why?"

            She lays her head on his shoulder and says, "Because I trust you."

            He says, "Do you trust me enough to tell me what happened?"

            She sits up and pulls the sheet up over her breasts, tucking it under her arms. He sits up beside her and says, "You don't have to Penelope. Not if you don't want to. But it's eating you up inside. Tell me. Please."

            Averting her eyes from his, she says, "I had had dinner with my parents and my sister. Juliette had dropped me off and when I came inside...they were here."

            Nick gently takes her free hand and says, "They who? Here? This apartment?"

            She nods and says, "Yeah. I couldn't afford to move. The owners installed the new security systems and locks...but it was weeks before I could stay by myself. It's still hard sometimes."

            He slides closer and puts his arms around her. She leans against him when he whispers, "Dear God Penelope..."

            She says, "It was...my boyfriend Dave. I don't know who the other one was. They never caught him."

            Rubbing her arm, Nick asks her "What happened?"

            She curls up against him and says, "I don't know what they wanted.  I don't know why. The place was destroyed.  Whoever was with Dave...he had a knife."

            When her body starts trembling, Nick squeezes her tightly and says, "He's never gonna hurt you again, Penelope. I swear to God, I'll never let anyone hurt you again."

            She soaks up the feeling of being safe in his arms. Finally she whispers, "He killed Dave. Right there in front of me. I watched him die as the policemen were fighting to save me. But I didn't want them to. I saw...I could see what he had done to me Nick. In the mirrors. I didn't want to live."

            She feels him shaking as he holds her as tightly as he can. Finally, he whispers, "Baby, please...don't..."

            She stops him and says, "I don't want to die Nick. Not anymore. But it's hard to go out and have people staring at me. I hate it. I hate the sympathetic stares and the ‘Oh I'm sorry' comments." Sniffling, she said, "You're the first person that didn't stare."

            He said, "Oh, I stared all right. But not at the scar. I got lost in your eyes. You looked SO sad and I just wanted to find a way to make you smile. I think the first time I ever really saw you smile, my heart stopped beating."

            She wiggles away from his body to look at him. He strokes her face as she whispers, "I don't think I smiled before I met you, Nick."

            He kisses her and says, "Penelope...you're such a beautiful person. Inside and out. You have to believe that."

            Snuggling up with him, she whispers, "When I'm with you, I do."

 

            At some point, they both doze off. Until Penelope starts thrashing in the bed and hits Nick in the nose.  He blinks away the pain and reaches for her. He says, "Penelope?" When she doesn't respond, he raises his voice and says, "Penelope, wake up, Sweetheart."

            Finally she opens her eyes and sees him. Tears are streaming down her face as she collapses against him, gasping for air. She manages to whisper, "I'm so sorry."

            Nick holds her close, rubbing her hair, and says, "It's ok, Babe. What happened? Bad dream?"

            She nods against his chest, willing her body to stop shaking. Finally she says, "Maybe you should go home to sleep. This will happen a lot."

            He says, "You have dreams like this? Every night?"

            She nods and says, "Yeah, pretty much."

            He kisses her temple and says, "Come with me, Penelope. Come back to my place tonight. Maybe the dreams will stay away."

            She pulls her face away from his chest to look at him. Finally, she says, "Nick, I don't know if I can. I'm..."

            He says, "Shh. You're beautiful and you shouldn't be afraid to let people see that beauty. If they stare so what? They are just admiring how sexy you are."

            She manages to roll her eyes before saying, "You're crazy."

            He says, "Do you trust me?"

            She stares into his eyes and says, "You know I do."

            He says, "Then come home with me tonight. And maybe tomorrow we can meet with AJ for lunch. He keeps asking me about the woman that makes me smile all the time."

            She lets fear take control and says, "You told your friends about me?"

            He says, "I just told them I was seeing someone. AJ didn't know your name until today."

            She pulls away a little and says, "Nick..."

            He says, "Penelope, look at me." When their eyes meet, he says, "You ARE a part of my life. So are they.  Eventually, you'll meet them. Why not just jump in? I promise...none of them are going to see that scar after one minute with you. They are going to see what I see. A beautiful woman that I'm head over heels in love with."

            She bites her lip.  She trusts Nick. Even though he's famous, when he's with her...she forgets he's a celebrity. With her, he's just Nick. His friends could be the same way. Finally, she says, "I'd...like to meet your friends."

            He looks at her shocked. The smile on his face speaks volumes to her. He hugs her tightly and says, "I promise Baby, you're gonna love them. And they are gonna love you!"

            She leans against him and whispers, "Can we really go to your place?"

            He tilts her face up to his and says, "Only if you want to.  I never pushed because you seem so...you get so scared if I mention going anywhere you're not used to. I don't want to pressure you if you're not ready."

            She says, "I want to be with you Nick. So much it scares me. But...I don't want to keep hitting you in the nose if I have a nightmare."

            He rubs his nose and says, "You pack a wallop woman."

            She giggles. She actually giggles. Nick sighs and pushes her onto her back, hovering over her. He kisses her gently and whispers, "You're giggles even turn me on Penelope. God how I want you."

            She winds her arms around his neck and pulls him down on top of her. Her kisses tell him she wants him just as much. He pulls the sheet off her body and lets his fingers explore her breasts.  Sliding them over her stomach, they slip between her thighs and he teases her inner folds with his fingertips. She gasps, spreading her legs for more.

            He slowly rubs her...bringing her moisture out to coat her clit as his tongue slides around her nipple. She whimpers, "Nick...please..."

            He gently bites her nipple before sliding his lips up to her neck.  Rubbing his cock up and down her thigh, he continues drawing pleasure from her body with his fingers.  He sucks on her earlobe before saying, "You are so wet.  How can you be so wet? Feels SO good Babe."

            Tangling one of her fists in the sheets, she rakes her nails down his back with the other hand and says, "Nick PLEASE!"

            He needs no further urging. Sliding between her thighs, he brings himself to her opening. Running his cock up and down her slit to coat it with her juices, he whispers, "Beautiful."

            She whimpers as he slides in and gasps, "I love you Nick."

            Burying is face in her neck as he buries himself in her, he whispers, "I love you too Penelope."

            He moves slowly, savoring how tight she is wrapped around his body. She sighs, sliding one of her legs up his, giving him access to move deeper.  With his hands under her body, he supports himself on his elbows as he rocks into her.

            Opening her eyes, she looks at Nick. He looks back, their eyes locked together. She whispers, again, "I love you," just as her body starts to shake with her orgasm.

            He keeps pushing in and out of her...his body throbbing for its own release, he whispers, "Sweetheart...condom...I didn't..."

            She says, "Don't stop, Nick...PLEASE!"

            He couldn't have stopped if he tried. He just kept going...filling her body with his essence. When he finally collapses on her, she wraps her arms around him and holds him tight.  He manages to gasp for air and say, "Let me move off of you, Baby."

            She whimpers and holds on as tight as she can, saying, "No, stay, please."

            He kisses her neck as she continues to hold him on her body. Finally, she turns her face to kiss his cheek and whispers, "I never knew I could feel this way."

            He rolls off her, bringing her body up against his chest. He kisses her forehead and says, "I'm glad it's me making you feel good, Penelope."

            They snuggle for a while before she says, "Can we really go to your place?"

            He smiles to himself and says, "I'd like to. Can AJ really come for lunch tomorrow?"

            Tilting her head back, she says, "I'd like to meet him."

            His smile makes her heart melt. He says, "Come on, then. I think we should shower and dress and head out."

            She giggles and says, "You're finally getting into my shower."

            He hugs her tightly and says, "I love to hear you laughing, Penelope. I love that you're opening up more to me. I'm not going to hurt you."

            She gets up and wraps a robe around her body. He wants to tell her it's not necessary to hide from him, but after all she's been through, he decides it's best to let her set the pace.  Feeling absolutely no self-consciousness about his body, he follows her into the bathroom.

            Once under the water, they just kiss and rub each other.  When she takes a loofa and shower gel and starts lathering up his body, he starts getting hard again. She whispers, "Was this a bad idea?"

            He says, "With you, there are no bad ideas Baby. Let's get cleaned up and we'll go to my place and get dirty again. I think you'll like my bathtub."

 

            When Nick leads her into his apartment, she instantly feels at ease. She says, "This is gorgeous."

            He smiles and says, "I can't take the credit. I hired a decorator."

            After showing her around, he takes her into the bedroom. She walks over to the window and looks out at the stars. They are up high enough that street lights don't interfere and the view is breathtaking. She says, "Nick...I could sit here for hours and stargaze."

            He says, "I didn't know you were into stars."

            Laughing, she says, "Why do you think I'm with you?"

            He picks her up and swings her around and says, "OK, smartass, you're gonna pay for that!"

            She giggles and says, "OK, seriously, yes, I love astronomy. I have a decent telescope, but the lights in my neighborhood make stargazing impossible."

            He says, "So we'll bring it over here and you can gaze all you want. You can even teach me about the stars."

            She says, "I can. It's what I do for a living."

            He says, "Wait. I thought you were a research assistant for a professor."

            She says, "I am. A professor of Astronomy."

            He grins and says, "OK, Ms. Smarty Pants, where's the Big Dipper?"

            She pulls him out onto the patio and says, "It's in the Northern sky. Right there." She points and says, "The stars in the big dipper are brighter. Can you see it?"

            He looks where she's pointing and says, "I'll be damned. I do see it. So, isn't the North star part of the Big Dipper?"

            She shakes her head and says, "No, it's the tip of the handle of the Little dipper. Do you see the two stars on the side of the ‘cup' of the Big Dipper?"

            He says, "Yeah. Why?"

            She says, "If you draw and imaginary line between them they point to the North Star, which is right there. See it?"

            He looks and says, "Hey, yeah, there it is.  So that's at the...HEY I see the Little Dipper too!"

            She smiles and says, "You're a very good student."

            He hugs her tightly and says, "You're an amazing teacher." After kissing her, he says, "Hey Teach, is there any extra credit I can do for an A+?"

            She cocks her head at him and says, "I think there may be SOMETHING you can do."

            His smile says it all. He lifts her up into his arms and says, "Then, by all means, let's get to it."

 

 

 

End Notes:

Hope you're still enjoying this!! :) 

Chapter 3 by tiggerc128
Author's Notes:

Sorry about not updating last night.  Lost track of time.  :(

 

Lost and Found

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 03

 

            After once again fulfilling their bodies' desires, they lay quietly together, whispering back and forth to each other, even though they both are thoroughly exhausted.  Nick dozes off first, leaving Penelope to ponder whether or not coming here was a good idea. Finally, she can't fight sleep any longer and her body falls into a deep, dreamless slumber.

            When she wakes up, dawn is breaking.  She's still lying in Nick's arms, amazed to find she slept through the night. Propping up on her elbow, she watches him sleeping. He has the cutest little half-smile on his face.  The kind that makes her want to kiss him. But she holds back.

            Slipping out of bed, she puts on his t-shirt and goes into the bathroom to take care of business. While she's washing her hands, she looks up into the mirror. Something she tries to avoid. She stares at her face, trying to see what Nick does.  Finally, she closes her eyes and drops her head, once again wondering why he loves her.

            She jumps when Nick says, "You ARE beautiful Penelope. I wish you could see that the scars don't matter."

            She raises her head and meets his gaze in the mirror. She says, "How can you say that Nick?  I mean, LOOK!"

            He says, "I am looking. You ARE beautiful. Every part of you is."

            She turns to him and says, "Why Nick? Why me?"

            He smiles and says, "I told you. Those big green eyes got me hooked. After that it's all about the entire package. You're smart, you're funny, you're sensitive, you're sexy as hell, your kisses are amazing, and when you touch me I lose my mind. I'm so in love with you I can't think straight. So why do you keep asking me that?"

            She's shocked. She stares at him for what seems like forever before saying, "I guess it's just not easy for me to believe in myself anymore."

            He cups her face with his hands and whispers, "Baby, you can. You can believe in yourself because you're WORTH it."

            Leaning into him, she meets his lips for a sweet, lingering kiss. When they part, he says, "Can I ask you something?" She nods and he says, "Why didn't you have the scars removed?"

            She turns away and says, "I can't afford to. My insurance won't cover plastic surgery."

            He says, "Do you think you'd feel differently about yourself if you had them removed?"

            She thinks about it and says, "I don't really know.  I'm just gun-shy about people now.  You'll never know what effort it took to invite you in that first day."

            He takes her hand and pulls her back to the bedroom. They sit on the bed together and he says, "Why did you invite me in? I thought for sure you were gonna run from me."

            She smiles timidly and says, "I wanted to. But a bigger part of me wanted to know why you weren't doing what everyone else did. Why you weren't staring and giving me ‘the look'."

            He says, "I didn't feel sorry for you. I was intrigued. I was sucked in by those eyes.  But I didn't feel sorry for you. I felt sad that you had obviously been through something incredibly devastating.  I was dying to ask, but I figured you'd run from me."

            She kisses his shoulder and says, "I would have."

            Sliding down in the bed so once again, she's lying with her head on his shoulder, he says, "I knew it. I knew I just had to be patient and prove to you it didn't matter."

            She sighs and says, "You really don't think it will bother your friends? Did you tell them?"

            He says, "First of all, I've known these guys my whole lives. None of them are going to look at you and see that scar. Maybe at first, but I swear, they aren't going to give you that pity look you hate so much. Second, all I told AJ was your name. He's the only one bugging the shit out of me to find out why I'm so happy."

            She tilts her head back to look at him and says, "Really?"

            He says, "Yes, he seriously bugs the shit out of me."

            She says, "No...not that. Are you happy?"

            He sighs dramatically and says, "Penelope, I swear to God you have made me the happiest man on the planet in the last six months.  Trust me, if it wasn't for you, I'd be back in LA right now."

            She says, "Wait, what? LA? You live in LA?"

            He says, "Yeah. I do."

            She says, "But you're living in New York now?"

            He smiles and says, "Yeah. So?"

            She says, "Why are you living in New York?"

            He tweaks her nose and says, "Because you do, silly girl."

 

            At 11:30 they are dressed and waiting for AJ to show up with pizza. Nick had already made a salad to go with lunch, and Penelope is so nervous, she's about to jump out of her skin.  Nick tries to distract her by teaching her to play one of his favorite video games. 

            As he's showing her the finer points of killing aliens, his door bell rings.  He sees her jump and kisses her gently, whispering, "Don't worry. It's gonna be fine."

            She stands and waits as he walks over to the door. When AJ comes in, he's all smiles. He hands Nick the pizza and makes a b-line for Penelope. He grabs her hand and says, "It's about time he started sharing you with us. Hi, I'm AJ. Penelope, right?"

            She nods and says quietly, "Yeah, that's me. It's nice to meet you."

            Nick laughs and says, "Now, see AJ, I told you she was real. Come on, let's eat while it's hot."

            Over lunch, AJ coaxes Penelope to talk about herself. Mostly her job and her hobbies. She doesn't feel like he's staring at her and not once did she get the "pity" look. But she knows he's curious.  She excuses herself to go to the bathroom, leaving the door open for AJ to whisper, "What the hell man, you could have warned me."

            Nick whispers back, "Does it matter?"

            AJ rolls his eyes and says, "NO, it doesn't matter.  I felt like I was staring...then her eyes got me.  She is beautiful Nick."

            Nick sort of smiles and says, "I wish she'd believe that. She keeps thinking all we're gonna see is that scar."

            AJ says, "What happened?"

            Nick says, "Not my story to tell. When she's ready, you'll know. OK?"

            AJ nods and says, "Fair enough. You should bring her to the next show. Howie's gonna flip over her eyes. Damn, they are gorgeous."

            Nick's smile grows as she walks back into the room. Taking her hand as she sits at the table again, he says, "Her eyes were what hooked me AJ."

            She meets his gaze and they share a smile that makes AJ proud of his little brother. Proud and happy. He's finally found a good, decent woman. Now if he can just hang on to her.

 

            AJ stays for over 2 hours. Penelope happily lets him play her part of the video game and has fun watching them. They are really good friends and Nick was right. AJ accepted her without question.  Maybe the scars aren't so bad.

            After AJ leaves, Nick collapses on the couch and says, "Is it mean of me to say ‘I told you so'?"

            She kind of laughs and says, "It's rude. But you're right. He is a nice guy. He hardly stared at all."

            Nick smirks and says, "He's curious."

            She nods and says, "I figured. Did you tell him?"

            Nick shakes his head and says, "No. It's not my story to tell unless you want me to tell them."

            With her arms wrapped around her stomach, she says, "I don't know."

            He holds out his hand and says, "Come here, Penelope." When she walks over and sits beside him, he pulls her into a loving embrace and says, "The details won't matter. All it will do is tell them how it happened. They are gonna love you almost as much as I do. You're gonna be part of our family now."

            A light goes off in her head and she groans. "Family! Oh my God, tonight's my nephew's birthday dinner!"

            Nick says, "Want me to take you home?"

            She turns to him and says, "I need to go get dressed."  When he looks down as her hand in his, she whispers, "I wish you could go with me."

            His eyes come back up to meet hers and he says, "Do you want me to?"

            She nods and says, "More than anything. But I'm not subjecting you to my mother. You'll run for sure."

            He says, "Oh, another secret you're keeping?"

            She sighs and says, "My mother is...well, let's just say I'm a major disappointment."

            He shakes his head and says, "How can that be possible?"

            She thinks about it a minute and says, "You know, since I'm being all brave today, would you like to go with me? That way, maybe she'll behave."

            He smiles and says, "You're serious?"

            She says, "I am. Not that I'm all that thrilled to be subjecting you to my mother, but today...well, I've had more fun today than I have in 3 years. I don't want to leave you to go to this party."

            He says, "If you're sure, I'd love to go. I don't really want to give you up either."

            She smiles and says, "Let me call Juliette and let her know you're coming with me, then we'll swing by my place and I'll change."

            He says, "What should I wear?"

            She looks at his outfit. A pair of khakis and a red polo shirt. She says, "You look perfectly fine.  I just need to be more presentable."

            He looks her over. She has on jeans and a purple sweater. He says, "How are you not presentable? You look beautiful."

            She goes into his bedroom and looks at herself in his mirror. Finally, she turns to him and says, "You know, you're right. I'm comfortable."

            He hugs her and says, "Are you sure you're ok with me going?"

            With her arms around his waist, she says, "I'm more than sure. Let me call Juliette and see what time she wants us there."

            He kisses her gently and says, "This is turning out to be a pretty special weekend."

            With her forehead against his chin, she says, "For me too."

            Nick says, "Lucky for me you got in my cab that day."

            She giggles and says, "You got in MY cab, Mister!"

            He picks her up and swings her around, saying, "I do love you Penelope Evans."  After kissing her deeply, he says, "Hey...what's your middle name?"

            She smiles and says, "Siobahn."

            He says, "Penelope Sibobahn Evans.  Very pretty name for an incredibly beautiful woman."

            She giggles and says, "Well, I happen to think Nickolas Gene Carter suits you."

            He says, "How did you know my middle name?"

            She laughs and says, "I googled you."

            He sits on the couch with her straddling his lap and says, "Want to do more than google me?"

            She says, "I'd love to."

            Their kisses become heated as their hands start to roam.  Just as he's pushing her shirt up, her cell phone rings. She pulls back and says, "I bet we're late."

            He says, "Fashionably late is good, right?"

            She rolls her eyes and says, "Not with my mother."

            She answers her phone and says, "Hey Juliette, I know I'm late. I'm sorry."

            Juliette says, "You know it's ok with me, but Mother is having a fit. Are you on your way?"

            Knowing it's bad, Penelope says, "I should be there in twenty minutes. Umm, Juliette, is it ok if I bring someone?"

            Curiosity piqued, Juliette says, "Would it be this man you've been trying to NOT tell me about for a couple of months."

            Playing with the collar on his shirt and staring into his eyes, Penelope says, "Yeah."

            Juliette says, "What's his name?"

            Penelope smiles and says, "Nick."

            He leans forward and kisses her cheek as Juliette says, "I'll tell them you're on your way. I can't wait to see the man that made you smile again. Love you Sis. See you soon."

            When she hangs up, Nick says, "I made you smile again?"  When she nods, he whispers, "I'm glad. I love your smile. Almost as much as I love you."

            She hugs him and says, "I really hope my parents don't chase you away."

            He says, "Never gonna happen. I promise."

            With her head lying on his shoulder, she sighs and says, "I'm glad we met Nick."

            He kisses her neck and says, "Me too, Penelope. Me too."

 

 

End Notes:

Let me know! :)

Chapter 4 by tiggerc128

 

Lost and Found

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 04

 

                Penelope gives Nick directions to her sister's house.  Once they are on the road, Nick says, "Penelope, what's the deal with your parents? Why do you think they are disappointed in you?"

            She says, "Well, you know I was adopted right?" He nods and she says, "When I was little, I had ballet lessons, piano lessons, every kind of high-brow, uppity, snobbish thing you could think of. But I'm too short to be a dancer and my piano playing is mediocre at best."

            He says, "So?"

            She says, "Well, since I couldn't follow my mother's dream of being a famous dancer or concert pianist, I was expected to follow my father's dream of me joining the family business."

            Nick says, "Which is?"

            She says, "Imports and exports.  He wanted me to go into business and take over for him some day, but...I just don't have the intuition he does. It's not for me. I'm happy doing what I'm doing and it just kills them."

            Nick wonders about her comment earlier, about not being able to afford to have her scars removed. Instead of asking THAT question, he says, "What about your sister?"

            She chuckles and says, "Married Dad's right hand man.  She's happy being a stay-at-home mom, volunteering and such.  I just...I love my work. I enjoy it. I'm good at it.  But it's not a good enough career choice for my parents. Especially my mother."

            He says, "So, let me get this...you're happy with what you do...yet they are disappointed you're happy?"

            She chuckles and says, "Pretty much, yeah."

            He says, "And I thought my mom was fucked up." When she looks at him curiously, he glances her way and says, "How about I tell you that story after dinner. We'll compare mothers and see who wins."

            She giggles and says, "You're on. But I'll win."

 

            When Nick stops in front of Juliette's house, he whistles and says, "My place in LA isn't this big."

            She laughs and says, "Hideous isn't it? I hate it."

            When they start up to the door, he can tell she's getting nervous. He stops her and says, "Your parents will not chase me away."

            She hugs him and says, "I know. I just hate dealing with them."

            He says, "Don't worry, Sweetie. You're not alone."

            She squeezes his hand and says, "I'm not letting go of you all night."

 

            When Juliette opens the door, she grabs her sister into a giant hug and says, "I've missed you! Look how cute you look, come in!"

            Once inside, Penelope says, "Juliette, this is Nick Carter. Nick, my sister, Juliette Manzetti."

            Juliette shakes his hand and then shocks him by grabbing him and hugging him, whispering, "Thank you!"

            When she steps back, he says, "Umm, it's nice to meet you."

            She laughs and says, "Come on, Anthony is excited. He only turns 10 once you know."

            Penelope says, "You got the gift, right?"

            Juliette says, "Of course we did. He's gonna flip he's getting a Nook. You're a very good auntie."

            She says, "Well, Anthony likes to read like I do. We have that in common."

            Before anyone can say anything else, from behind them, they here, "It's good of you to finally show up, Penelope."

            She turns and says, "Hello, Mother. Juliette knew I was running behind. It IS Anthony's party after all." She turns to Nick and says, "Nick, this is my mother, Katrina Evans. Mother, this is Nick Carter."

            Nick keeps his arm around Penelope and says, "It's nice to meet you, Mrs. Evans."

            She eyes Nick closely, noting the way he's holding her daughter and says, "I suppose she met you at her JOB." 

The way she says it, she makes it sound like a dirty word. Nick says, "Actually, no, we don't work together. She tried to steal my cab in the rain."

Penelope looks up at him and a look of love passes between them that even her mother can't deny. She says, "Sounds like my flighty daughter. Taking a cab." As if Nick is inconsequential, she says, "Come into the parlor, Penelope. Your father would like a word with you."

As she walks away, Nick whistles under his breath and says, "You win."

Penelope giggles and says, "I'll collect later. Want to hang out with Juliette while I go get my lecture?"

He squeezes her and says, "Nope. I made you a promise. Besides, what kind of boyfriend would I be if I left you alone after that?"

Juliette watches them walk away, smiling brightly. She turns and walks briskly into the dining room to find her husband and says, "Cosimo, you're NOT gonna believe this!"

 

Nick follows her into the parlor to find a stately looking gentleman roughly 60 years old reading papers in a file folder. He looks up when Penelope says, "Working on a Saturday, Daddy?"

            He smiles and says, "I always work Punkin. You know that."

            Katrina rolls her eyes and says, "Donald, please...don't call her by that childish name."

            He shakes his head and says, "Loosen up, Katrina." Turning back to Penelope, he says, "Who's your friend, Punkin?"

            Penelope fights the smile that's bubbling up inside and says, "Daddy, this is Nick Carter. Nick, my father, Donald Evans."

            Nick holds out his hand and says, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Sir."

            He shakes Nick's hand and says, "Nice to meet you too, young man."

            Katrina clears her throat and says, "Donald..."

            He says, "Katrina, for God's sake, it's Anthony's dinner. Can't you let this stuff go for a night?"

            She says, "Donald, we never see Penelope.  Now is the only opportunity..."

            Penelope butts in and says, "Excuse, but I'm standing right here. Daddy, what's going on?"

            Before he can answer, her mother says, "Penelope, maybe we should talk privately." She looks pointedly at Nick and he feels like he's being dismissed.

            Before he can move, Penelope says, "If he leaves, I'm going with him. I don't hide things from Nick. So what's the problem?"  Nick squeezes her hand, letting her know he's not going to leave her.

            Her mother says, "Very well. Don't you think it's time you came to your senses? You need to come and work with your father."

            Penelope sighs and says, "Mother, I like my job. I'm good at it. Why can't you just be happy for me?"

            Katrina says, "You're throwing your life away, Penelope. You're destined to be better than a glorified teacher's assistant. I just don't know why you work so hard to let me down."

            Nick feels Penelope tense up and he says, "Excuse me, but your daughter is more than a glorified teacher's assistant."

            Katrina looks at him and says, "What business is it of yours? You're just out to get your hands on the money like Dave was."

            At the mention of her ex, Penelope pales considerably. She says, "Mother, Nick isn't...he's nothing like Dave. How dare you!"

            Donald stands and says, "She's right Katrina. That was a cruel thing to say."

            Katrina looks at her husband and says, "So you're happy she's disgracing us this way?"

            Nick feels Penelope starting to shake and he's fighting the urge to call her mother a few choice names. Instead, he says, "Maybe we should just go."

            Katrina says, "I'll tell you right now, young man, you're not getting one dime of money. If that's all your out for, you're out of luck." Looking at Penelope, she says, "Do you seriously think it's not about the money, Penelope? I mean, look at your face...you won't even get it fixed! It has to be about the money!"

            Nick holds Penelope up. It's like she's been hit in the stomach when her mother spouts her venom. Knowing he can't keep his mouth shut any longer, Nick says, "For your information, Mrs. Evans, I don't want or need your money. I do very well on my own. As for your daughter, she's beautiful just the way she is and she doesn't have to change a thing for me. Personally, I think you're missing out on something special if you don't see your daughter for who she really is. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to take her home. With me. If you want to get in touch with her, you can call my manager. Her name is Jennifer Sousa with Prospect Park Management. If you'll excuse us."

            Nick leads her to the door, practically carrying her. When Juliette sees Penelope's face, and the anger on Nick's, she says, "Call me later and let me know she's ok."

            Nick says, "I will. I'm sorry."

            Juliette says, "Don't be. I'm the one who's sorry." She hugs her sister and says, "Penelope...I love you."

            Penelope nods and says, "Love you. Tell Anthony I'm sorry."

            She says, "Don't worry about him. Go home with Nick."

 

            Once in the car, Nick pulls her into his arms and lets her cry. She whispers, "I'm so sorry Nick."

            He says, "Why are you sorry? Your mother was the one being the bitch. I should say I'm sorry for going off on her."

            She sniffs and says, "Get me out of here Nick."

 

            When they get to his apartment, she curls up in a chair and stares off into space. He can almost see the walls going up to shut him out again. He says, "Penelope, look at me." When she does, he says, "You're perfect just the way you are. You're beautiful, inside and out. Don't let her put a wall between us. Please. I love you."

            She says, "I love you too Nick. But she's right. I could have used their money and had the surgery...but I didn't."

            He sits on the floor in front of her and plays with her feet as he looks up and says, "Why didn't you?"

            She says, "I don't want to depend on anything from her. She's made it clear adopting me was the worst mistake of her life. She even said it on my last birthday. Of course, no one heard it but me.  I just...I wasn't good enough for my real mother, now I'm not good enough for the one that CHOSE me. How can I be good enough for you?"

            He lets go of her foot and gets on his knees in front of her.  With his hands on her thighs he says, "Stop right there. She's the one not good enough for YOU! As for your birth mother...you don't know why you were given up. Maybe she was young. Maybe she was sick...maybe it wasn't about you." He moves closer to her and whispers, "You're too good for me, Sweetheart. Yet here we are. You love me, I love you...so don't let her ruin what we've found. OK?"

            She stares into his eyes and whispers, "I'll try not to." After he gently kisses her, she whispers, "Don't give up on me Nick."

            He puts his forehead against hers and says, "Never gonna happen, Baby. Never gonna happen."

 

            After they go to bed and she falls asleep in his arms, he grabs her phone and dials her sister. When Juliette answers, he says, "I wanted to let you know she's ok now. I'm sorry about what I said to your mother."

            She snorts and says, "Don't be. Dad was furious with her and so am I. Is Penelope really ok?"

            Looking down at her sleeping against his chest, he says, "Yeah, she's sleeping. Juliette, why is your mother so hateful towards her? Penelope's a good person."

            Juliette says, "If I knew I'd tell you."

            He says, "Why is she so fixated on Penelope fixing that scar? It's not that bad."

            Juliette sighs and says, "To be honest, Mother is ashamed that her daughter carries a scar like that. It's a reminder that the boy they handpicked for Penelope was a giant asshole."

            Nick says, "He was their idea?"

            Juliette says, "Yeah. He worked for Daddy. Mom thought it was perfect. And Penelope did try. She cared about him a lot. Then after it all happened, instead of supporting Penelope, Mother tried to say that Penelope must have done something to drive him to such an extreme." When Nick doesn't say anything, Juliette says, "Nick, my sister is very much in love with you. Please don't hurt her."

            With tears in his eyes, he says, "I'd die before I hurt her. I can promise you that."

 

 

 

End Notes:

Hope you're still enjoying it!  Let me know!!! :)

Chapter 5 by tiggerc128

 

Whatever It Takes

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 05

 

                Penelope wakes up early Sunday morning firmly wrapped in Nick's arms. She sighs, memorizing the feel of his body pressed firmly against hers.  She knows the minute he starts to wake up. His breathing changes and his body shifts against hers.  Turning partially on his side, he slides his leg up over hers and whispers, "Good morning, Penelope."

            She kisses his chest and says, "Good morning Nick."

Settling his head against hers, he says, "How do you feel?"

            She says, "Honestly?  Happy."

            She can hear the smile in his voice when he says, "Good."

            She says, "Thank you, Nick. For last night. For...defending me."

            He says, "Baby, don't you EVER thank me for that. I knew it was your mother, but the toxic venom she was spewing at you was too much. I had to say something."

            She says, "I don't know how I can face her again."

            He says, "You don't have to." When he hears her sigh, he tilts her face up to his and says, "What?"

            She says, "I love my Father, and I love Juliette. How can I hate my mother so much?"

            He says, "She asks for it.  Baby, I'm sorry, but she doesn't deserve your love. I don't know how your father can stand to be with her and her that vile."

            She says, "Now you know how I feel. I grew up wishing he'd divorce her and take me away."

            Nick kisses her forehead and says, "I can take you away, Sweetheart. And I will."

            She hugs him tightly and they lay quietly together.  Nick finally says, "Penelope..."

            She says, "What?"

            He says, "You know I love you no matter what, right?"

            She tilts her head back and says, "I do Nick. I may not understand it sometimes, but after what you did yesterday, I know it's true."

            He says, "Then, remember that when I make this offer, ok?"  She nods and he says, "IF you want to...and I do mean YOU, this is YOUR decision, ok?" She nods again, confused.  He says, "If you want to have the scars removed, Penelope, I can take care of it for you."

            Her eyes fall and he feels like a complete jerk. He says, "Baby, please don't be upset. You don't have to. I love you exactly the way you are."

            She brings her eyes back to his and whispers, "It really doesn't bother you?"

            He says, "Penelope, it's never EVER bothered me! I swear!!  I just hate that you let it control you. It's NOT who you are. If making it go away helps you feel better about yourself, then do it. Let me help you do it. But don't let it keep you hiding from the world."

            They stare at each other for a few minutes. Finally, she says, "Can I think about it?"

            He says, "Of course. You're not mad at me, are you?"

            She smiles at him. A smile that makes his heart beat faster. She whispers, "No, I'm not mad. I'm overwhelmed and deeply touched, Nick. I just..."

            He puts his finger over her lips and says, "Shh.  It's ok. Just think about it.  I love you and I only want you to be happy and secure in that love. Nothing about you has to change for me Baby. I love you just the way you are."

            They snuggle up closer and Penelope closes her eyes.  Just as they are drifting off to sleep, Nick's phone rings.  He rolls over and answers it with a groggy "Hello? Hey, Jenn, what's up?"

Jenn says, "Who is Penelope Evans and why is someone calling ME looking for HER who is supposedly with YOU?"

Nick groans and says, "She's my girlfriend, why?  Who called?"

 Jenn says, "Someone named Donald Evans? What's going on Nick?"

Nick says, "I'll explain later. That was her Dad. Thanks Jenn."

            After he hangs up, Penelope says, "Daddy called?"

            Nick says, "Yeah. Jenn says he was quite upset. Want to call him?" She's really shocked when he holds out his phone for her to call.

            She takes it and says, "If I call from your phone, they'll have your number."

            He says, "No they won't. It will come up unknown. Go ahead."

            She dials the phone as Nick rubs her back. When her dad answers, she says, "Hey Daddy, it's me."

            He says, "Penelope, where are you? Why aren't you at home?"

            She says, "Nick told you last night he was bringing me home with him. What do you want Daddy?"

            He says, "Punkin, I wanted to make sure you're ok."

            Fighting back tears, she says, "I'm fine Daddy. Nick's been very good to me." Nick squeezes her tighter and she kisses his shoulder.

            Her father says, "Penelope, I'm sorry about what you're mother said. She's...she didn't mean it."

            Sighing, Penelope says, "Yes she did, Daddy. She's already told me she regrets adopting me. Yesterday was just the final nail in the coffin. I can't...Daddy I just can be around her anymore, I'm sorry."

            She hears the sadness in his voice when he says, "Punkin, I love you. I hope you know that. And I'm proud of you."

            She sniffles and says, "I love you too Daddy. I just wish I knew why Mother hates me so much."

            He says, "Sweetheart, she doesn't hate you...she just..."

            Penelope says, "She does, Daddy. And it's ok. I've spent my whole life trying to be what she wanted.  She can't accept me for who I am. But Nick does."

            Her father says, "I like your how your Nick defended you, young lady. And from what I found out, he's a decent young man."

            She groans and says, "Daddy, you didn't!"

            He chortles and says, "You know I did. I'll not have you hurt again. But he seems ok."

            She says, "Daddy, he's a wonderful man. You could have just ASKED if you wanted to know about him." Nick looks down at her face as she looks up at him. She can tell by the smile on his face he's not mad.

            Her father says, "Penelope, will you come by the office this week to see me? And bring Nick. Maybe for lunch? I owe the young man an apology."

            She says, "I'll ask him Daddy and call you Monday, ok?"

            He says, "Good. I'll talk to you then. And Penelope?"

            She says, "Yes, Daddy?"

            He says, "You looked very beautiful yesterday. And very happy. I'm pleased."

            Before she can reply he hangs up. She turns off Nick's phone and lays her head on his shoulder, letting her father's words sink in.  Nick takes the phone and says, "You ok, Penelope?"

            She says, "Yeah. Daddy wanted to apologize. He'd like us to come to his office for lunch next week so he can apologize to you."

            Nick says, "I'm free Monday and Tuesday. But the fellas are coming in to town for a meeting with a record producer. We're gonna record the rest of the week."

            She says, "But AJ's already here."

            Nick says, "He came early to shop. AJ's a shop-a-holic."

            She says, "I used to be."

            He says, "Why don't we go shopping with him this afternoon?  Spend the afternoon on Fifth Avenue?"

            She bites her lip and starts to say no. Then she thinks about what her father said...she looks happy. She is happy. She says, "Do you think he'll mind?"

            Nick's smile speaks volumes. He pushes her onto her back and kisses her deeply before saying, "Are you kidding? AJ loved you. He'll be ecstatic you're willing to shop with him."

            She says, "Then maybe I should shower and go to my place for something to wear."

            He says, "You could...or I could make love to you, then we can shower together, then go by your place for clean clothes before we meet AJ for lunch."

            She slides her fingers through his hair and whispers, "You have the best ideas."

 

            At 1:30, they meet AJ at the Fifth Avenue Diner for lunch. He shakes Nick's hand then pulls Penelope into a bear hug and says, "I'm so glad you're gonna shop with me. I hate shopping alone and I knew Nick would never leave you alone."

            When they are seated, she says, "Why wouldn't he leave me alone?"

            AJ says, "Sweetheart, you're gorgeous. If you were MY girl, I wouldn't leave you alone to go shopping."

            She blushes and lowers her eyes. Nick laughs and says, "Behave yourself AJ, or I'll tell your mom."

            He chuckles and says, "Trust me, she'd KILL for me to find a girl like yours." He turns to Penelope and says, "My mom can't wait to meet you."

            Looking confused she says, "Why?"

            AJ laughs and says, "Any woman special enough to make Nick move from Cali to New York my mom wants to meet."

            Penelope looks to Nick who says, "Remember when I told you we would compare moms?" When she nods, he says, "Well, I spent a long time telling everyone AJ's mom was mine ‘cause I hated mine so much."

            Picking up her glass of water, she says, "Then I guess I'll start telling everyone she's mine too."

            AJ says, "What, you don't like your mom?"

            Nick looks at Penelope. She shrugs and says, "I was adopted AJ.  I don't know who my birth mother is, but my adopted mother has made it perfectly clear I'm a bitter disappointment.  Just ask Nick, he found out first hand last night."

            Nick says, "Let's not spoil such a monumental day talking about last night." Looking at AJ, he says, "What are we shopping for today?"

            Their lunch is filled with laughing and jokes and Nick sees for the first time since he met her, she's completely at ease. When she excuses herself to go to the bathroom, AJ says, "What the hell happened last night? She's like a different person."

            Nick says, "Man, you think my mother was a bitch, you should meet hers. She flat out told Penelope I had to be after her money because who would want her scarred the way she is."

            AJ whistles and says, "I bet you blew a gasket."

            Nick says, "I actually remained civil. But I also told them I was taking her home with me and if they wanted to speak to her, they had to go through Jenn."

            AJ says, "What about her Dad?"

            Nick says, "He's a nice man. He does love Penelope."

            When she comes back, she knows they are talking about her. She says, "Want me to leave again so you can finish?"

            AJ laughs and says, "Not necessary. I was just telling Nick that hopefully you'll have dinner with the group on Thursday night."

            She says, "I think something is going on Thursday at school." Pulling out her date book, she says, "OH yeah...the eclipse."

            Nick says, "What?"

            I say, "There's an eclipse Thursday night. Some of the students will be meeting at the school to watch through the telescope."  She fingers the pages of her calendar and says, "If you want, after dinner, you could all join me and watch from there too. There will only be like ten students."

            AJ and Nick look at each other, and then AJ says, "All of us? Howie and Brian too?"          

            She nods and says, "If you're interested. The eclipse happens around 11:30, so...we could go early. I could show you around." Looking at Nick, she says, "Want to see the Big Dipper through the telescope?"

            He smiles at her and says, "I'd love it. And I think Howie and Brian will enjoy themselves too."

            AJ says, "Hey, can I bring Sage?"

            Penelope says, "Who's Sage?"

            AJ says, "My girlfriend.  Kind of. We've been dating a couple of months."

            Nick can see the nervousness on Penelope's face and he takes her hand, squeezing it. He gives her the strength to say, "Sure, the more the merrier."

            Nick says, "Well, then Brian will want to bring Lisa and Howie will want to bring Pepper too. Make it a REAL party."

            AJ wrinkles his nose and says, "Does Howie HAVE to bring Pepper?"

            Nick chuckles and says, "We didn't like all of YOUR girlfriends either, AJ. Gotta deal with it."

            Penelope says, "Pepper?"

            AJ grins and says, "Stage name. She's a stripper."

            Penelope says, "Oh. OK."

            Nick says, "We don't get it either. Other than she's got really big..."

            AJ says, "NICK! Let's not discuss her attributes!"

            Penelope laughs and says, "I may be a bit naïve, AJ, but I'm not stupid."

            Nick leans closer to her and whispers, "No, you're definitely not stupid."

            AJ says, "Well she can't be a rocket scientist, she chose YOU!"

            Penelope can't help but laugh as they start a food fight. Even though Nick is flinging fries at AJ, on the inside his heart is soaring as he watches Penelope laugh. She's really happy. And she's all his.

 

 

End Notes:

Hope you're still enjoying the story! :)

Chapter 6 by tiggerc128
Author's Notes:

I hope you still enjoy the story!! :)

 

Lost and Found

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 06

 

            On Tuesday, Nick and Penelope have lunch with her father.  When they are shown into his office, he hugs Penelope tightly and says, "I'm really sorry Punkin." Turning to Nick, he says, "I want to apologize for how Kat acted. I can't even come up with a good excuse."

            Nick says, "I'm sorry if I overstepped my bounds, but your daughter means a great deal to me. I won't let anyone hurt her."

            After eyeing Nick for a minute, he says, "I like you Nick. Call me Don."

            Lunch was a huge success in Penelope's book. She was kind of quiet, letting her dad and Nick get to know each other.  After they finish eating, her father says, "Nick, if you don't mind, I would like to speak to Penelope privately."

            Nick holds his hand out to shake Don's hand and says, "Thank you for lunch. And for not being angry that I took her home with me."

            Don laughs and says, "Young man, even if I was angry, Penelope is a grown woman. She stopped listening to me a long time ago."

            Penelope blushes and says, "You know, I'm sitting right here Daddy."

            He says, "I know that, Punkin."

            Nick laughs and says, "I'll wait outside."

            After he kisses Penelope's cheek and leaves, her father says, "Punkin, you look happy. Is he good to you?"

            She smiles and says, "He's wonderful Daddy." She lowers her eyes and kind of points to her face and says, "THIS doesn't bother him at all."

            Her Dad puts his hand on her shoulder and says, "Punkin, let me help you with that."

            She looks up and says, "No, Daddy. I won't give Mother another reason to yell at you or me." She glances away before saying, "Nick said he would help me if I wanted to get rid of the scars."

            He says, "And what did you say?"

            She sighs and says, "I hate the scars Daddy. But I'm afraid. I don't want...what if it just gets worse?"

            Her father says, "Penelope, listen to me. I didn't get where I am in this world by taking unnecessary risks. If you want to do this, I'll make sure you have the very best doctor. I wouldn't trust just anyone with my little girl." He sits beside her and says, "Will you let me help you with this? I know Nick said he would but it's my job Penelope." When she doesn't say anything, he says, "Sweetheart, I was supposed to protect you and you got hurt. I'm so sorry."

            She looks into his eyes and that's when she realizes he's always blamed himself. She cries and hugs him, saying, "Daddy, it wasn't your fault."

            After a few minutes of quiet deliberation, she whispers, "I'd like you to help me, Daddy."

            He sits back and says, "What about Nick?"

            She smiles and says, "He says I don't have to do it, he loves me like this. I want to surprise him."

            Her father hugs her and says, "I'll find a doctor and we'll take it from there. OK?"

            She nods and hugs him once more before leaving. When she and Nick make it outside, he stops her and says, "Is everything ok?"

            She looks up at him and says, "Sure, why?"

            He says, "You seem preoccupied. He didn't like me, did he?"

            She smiles and says, "He does, Nick. He was...apologizing."

            Nick takes her hand as they walk out to her car and says, "For what? He didn't do anything wrong."

            When they step outside, Penelope sees 3 young men that used to be her friends walking in.  All of them stare at her, not speaking.  When she lowers her head, Nick's heart breaks for her.  Keeping her close, he leads her to her car, not mentioning what just happened.

            Once at the car, he tilts her face up to meet his gaze and says, "Don't do that, Penelope. You're beautiful just the way you are."

            She tries to smile and whispers, "Thank you, Nick."

            He kisses her gently before asking, "Want to skip work this afternoon and hang out at the studio with me and AJ?"

            He thinks she'll say no.  Instead, she says, "I have the afternoon off. Professor Allen doesn't have class on Tuesdays so I only have to work half a day."

            Nick says, "And what do you do with the other half day?"

            She says, "I usually worked it too. But I don't have to...if you really want..."

            He smiles and says, "Come on. You can watch me work."

            She giggles and says, "You love to sing. You know it's not work for you."

 

            She lets him drive and when AJ sees her with Nick, he can't help but feel that his friend has FINALLY found the one. And he's got to admit, he loves having her around. She's a good balance for Nick.  A bit shy, but she's opening up.  When they come into the studio, AJ hugs her and says, "Goody. Someone to tell me how much BETTER than Nick I am."

            She looks at him skeptically and says, "Are you better than Nick?"

            Nick laughs at AJ's stunned expression.  Then Penelope starts giggling and blushing when AJ says, "Go out to dinner with just ME and I'll prove it!"

            Nick is leaning against a sound board and pulls Penelope between his legs as he says, "Go get your own woman, AJ. This one is mine!"

            AJ loves how Penelope snuggles against Nick. They are a perfect fit, even though he's a foot taller than her.  Maybe this is what he needs. Someone to protect. He's certainly doing a bang up job after the grief her mother gave her. He's never seen Nick so in love.

            When Eddie, the sound guy, comes in, Penelope feels a little tense. Nick squeezes her gently and whispers, "I love you Penelope."

            She turns her face to him and says, "I love you too."

            Raising his voice, Nick says, "Eddie, this is my girlfriend, so make sure we sound good."

            Eddie laughs and says, "Hey, I can only do so much. Get your asses in there and let's see if you still got it."

            After AJ and Nick leave the room, Eddie says, "Penelope, I don't know what happened and I won't ask, but trust me, that little scar is nothing. You don't have to be afraid around me, ok?"

            She nods and says, "I'm sorry."

            He says, "Don't be...you should have seen me a few years ago. I was in a bike accident.  My face was all messed up. Luckily, after I was all healed up, I found a good plastic surgeon who made me look more human again."

            She says, "I didn't...you don't look like you've been hurt."

            He says, "Amazing what make up and tattoos will cover. Don't sweat it, P.  That boy loves you. And you are beautiful."

 

            In the studio, Nick and AJ are talking quietly. AJ says, "Do you think she's gonna be mad?"

            Nick sighs and says, "If she finds out we set it up, she'll be furious. Man, I wanted to punch those dudes today that were staring at her. I mean, yeah I stare, but my God, she's gorgeous.  They were giving her that pity look she hates so much."

            AJ says, "You know, just the shock of it, it's hard not to stare...and I do feel sorry for her. But you have to get past the surface. She's an amazing girl, Nick."

            Nick looks through the glass and watches Penelope as Eddie gives her a crash course on the sound board. He says, "AJ, I love her. I've never felt this way about anyone."

            AJ slaps his back and says, "Then don't fuck it up."

            Penelope looks up and sees Nick watching her. She smiles at him and he smiles back. He says, "I don't plan on it AJ. I think she's the one."

 

            After listening to Nick and AJ sing, Penelope is amazed.  When they come out of the studio for AJ to take a smoke break, she says, "Nick...you're incredible."

            He blushes and says, "Nah, don't tell AJ but he is better than me."

            She says, "No, he's not. He's different, and he's good, but not better than you."

            Eddie says, "You're not a fan?"

            Blushing, Penelope says, "I grew up listening to classical music.  I never really paid attention to popular music, which is sad because look what I was missing."

            Eddie says, "Then I think I have something here you might like." He hands her a stack of CDs and says, "This is all their stuff they have recorded with me. Some is Nick alone, some is him with the other guys. Enjoy them."

            Penelope looks at the CDs then up to Eddie and says, "For real?"

            He smiles and says, "Yes. Those are yours."

            She looks up at Nick and he says, "I really hope there's SOMETHING on those you like."

            She leans against him and says, "I can't wait to hear them." Turning to Eddie, she says, "Thank you SO much."

            He smiles and says, "Don't mention it. Feel free to come back anytime you want. I'll even let you mix one of the songs yourself."

 

            AJ and Nick sing for another two hours, then AJ announces he has a date. After hugging Penelope tightly, he says, "Looking forward to Thursday."

            She smiles and says, "Me too. And AJ?"  When he turns back to look at her from the door, she says, "You're good. But Nick's still better."

            He clutches his heart and says, "OH NO!"  Penelope giggles and he says, "You'll pay for that girly! Later!"

            When they walk out to her car, Nick says, "AJ loves you, you know that?"

            She smiles and says, "He's such a sweet guy. What's his girlfriend like?"

            Nick says, "Sage? She'll surprise you. She's a paralegal."

            I look at him puzzled and say, "Why should that surprise me?"

            He says, "Seriously? AJ?" After a minute, he says, "OH, I keep forgetting you're not a fan. Wow, this is different.  OK, so AJ has a rep for being a bad boy."

            She giggles and says, "He probably loves it, am I right?"

            Nick nods and says, "Yeah. I guess being honest, I kind of have that rep too."

            She cocks her eyebrow and says, "Oh really?  Is there something I should know about?"

            He laughs and says, "Why don't you read the background check your dad did on me?"

            She blushes and says, "I'm really sorry..."

            He says, "Stop! I'm teasing. It doesn't bother me.  I've been in the limelight my whole life. I don't have secrets.  I'll admit, I was wild. It took the right woman to tame me." As he's saying this, he's lifting her up into his arms. Their lips meet in a gentle, persuasive kiss. When they break apart, Nick says, "Can I come home with you this afternoon?" He sees a shadow cross her face and says, "What? What's wrong?"

            She says, "Nothing, really. Yeah, we can go to my place. I'll make dinner."

            She starts to turn away and he says, "Penelope, what's wrong?"

            Turning back to face him, she says, "Nothing, really. I promise. Let's go."

            He knows something's bothering her, but he doesn't push it.  When they get to her place, he starts to pay attention to things he's never noticed before. The way her hand shakes when she's putting the key in the lock. The look of intense concentration as she opens the door.  The way she looks all around her as she runs to disable the alarm. Then he gets it. She's afraid to be here. She's afraid of her own home. 

            Once she's settled down a bit and the door is relocked, she says, "Any preference for dinner?  Chicken? Fish?"

            He says, "Anything. I don't care."

            She goes into the kitchen to see what she has on hand. While she's gone, he looks around the apartment, trying to see it through her eyes. She's afraid of the one place she should feel safe and secure. How sad is it she can't move. Yeah, she could, but she doesn't want to take money from her parents to do so and after meeting her mother, Nick gets that.

            When she comes back in the room, she catches Nick watching her with a strange look on his face.  She says, "What? Not in the mood for fish? I can make burgers..."

            He shakes his head and says, "Penelope...I'm so sorry."

            She says, "For what? What's wrong?"

            He says, "I finally opened my eyes and paid attention. You really hate it here, don't you?"

            She glances away and quietly says, "Yeah. But it's all I've got."

            Nick walks over to her and tilts her face up to his. He shakes his head and says, "No it's not. Come live with me."

            Her eyes meet his. She shakes her head and says, "You don't have to...I'll be fine here Nick."

            He says, "This isn't about what I have to do. I WANT you to live with me, Penelope. I WANT you in my life all the time. I WANT you to be happy. Please? Move in with me?"

            Her eyes meet his as she ponders the question. Is she ready for this step?

 

 

 

End Notes:

Please let me know!  :)

Chapter 7 by tiggerc128

 

Lost and Found

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 07

 

            Penelope was very nervous about meeting Nick's friends. Thursday came fast. As she's getting dressed for dinner, Nick calls to ask if she's ok. She says, "I don't know Nick. What if they don't like me?"

            He says, "Well you're not dating them, but I can tell you now, they are going to LOVE you."

            She sighs as she ties her tennis shoes and says, "I hope you're right. What time will you be here?"

            He says, "That's another reason I'm calling. I'm in a production meeting for the tour. AJ's gonna pick you up and I'll meet you at the restaurant, ok?"

            Feeling apprehensive, she says, "Can't I just wait..."

            He says, "Don't worry, AJ will stay with you outside till I get there. I won't make you go in alone."

            She sighs and says, "No, I'll be ok. I'm sorry."

            He says, "Sweetheart, trust me.  They are good guys. You won't get that look you hate and if you do, I'll beat the shit out of whoever gives it to you, ok?"

            She has to laugh at that. She says, "I'm being childish, huh?"

            He says, "No, you aren't. Now, you're ok with AJ picking you up?"

            She says, "Of course."

            He says, "Good. AJ's gonna hang out around New York while I'm gone in case you need anything."

            She says, "He doesn't have to..."

            Nick says, "He knows that. He wants to.  I'm wondering if my best friend is falling for my girl?"

            She giggles and says, "You know I only have eyes for you."

            Nick says, "Beautiful eyes at that. I'll see you at dinner. I love you Penelope."

            She says, "I love you too," before hanging up. Just as she's putting in her last earring, the doorbell sounds. 

When she opens the door, AJ hugs her and says, "Hey, look how cute you look!" And she does.  Knowing tonight was going to be different for her, she chose to wear her confidence-building clothes.  A pair of black denim jeans and a green blouse.  When he steps back, he says, "Penelope, this is my girlfriend Sage.  Sage, this is Nick's girl, Penelope."

Sage holds out her hand and says in a distinct British accent, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Penelope."

Shyly, Penelope says, "Nice to meet you. Just let me get my purse and set the alarm and we can go."

While she's in her bedroom, Sage says, "That poor girl. She's so pretty to be so self conscious."

AJ says, "Yeah. And boy is Nick in love."

Sage slides her arm around AJ's waist and says, "I'm happy for them."

Penelope comes back into the room in time to see AJ kiss Sage. She smiles and says, "If you want to go out into the hallway, I'll set the alarm."

Both watch fascinated as she comes out and locks all three locks. AJ takes a lady on each arm and says, "Nick can eat his heart out. I have the two prettiest dates tonight."

After the laughter dies, Sage says, "Penelope, it's very nice of you to allow us to watch the eclipse at your school."

As they are getting into the cab, Penelope says, "I'm happy to do it.  It's amazing to watch through the telescopes."

Sage says, "I love being an amateur star gazer. But it stays overcast in England a lot so I never really had the chance."

The remainder of the ride, the girls get to know each other and talk about their jobs. By the time they reach The Pit, it's like they are lifelong friends. AJ is secretly pleased at how quickly Sage and Penelope bonded. Sage always said she wanted more friends and God knows Penelope needs more.

When they step out of the cab, Nick is waiting. He lifts Penelope up in his arms and says, "Hello, Beautiful," before kissing her soundly.

When he puts her down, she blushes and says, "How was your meeting?"

Before he can reply, her phone rings. AJ and Sage step inside as she answers it.  Nick is curious when she walks away from him. But she needs privacy. It's her Dad.

He says, "I won't keep you Punkin, but I found a surgeon. He's coming to town in two weeks to see you. OK?"

She quietly says, "Thanks Daddy. I really appreciate it."

He says, "You never have to thank me, Punkin. Were you serious about your decision to move?"

She sighs and says, "Yes. I'm going to tell Nick tonight."

She can hear a smile in his voice when he says, "I'm happy for you. I hate where you live now. I want you safe and happy again."

Turning to see Nick watching her, she says, "I am happy, Daddy."

 

Dinner was a success in Nick's eyes.  Penelope was astounded at how nice they all were. Brian's girlfriend, Lisa, had bonded with her just as quickly as Sage had.  Howie's girlfriend is a whole other story. She couldn't keep her hands off him long enough to even get to know Penelope.

All of the guys had been very kind. She kind of felt like they were staring at first, but Nick just kissed her cheek, on her scar, and whispered, "It's your eyes, Sweetheart."

 

Once at the college, she shows them around before taking them into the observatory.  The students were already there and she let them explain the workings of the telescope to her guests.  Pepper, Howie's girlfriend, walks up to Penelope and says, ""Penelope, I gotta pee, where's the bathroom?"

Penelope says, "I'll show you. It's in another building." After excusing herself and leaving her students showing off, she leads Pepper out of the building.

Lisa runs to catch up, yelling, "Hang on, I need to go too."

When they reach the bathroom, Pepper finishes first. She talks constantly, which honestly, is annoying. As they are washing their hands, she looks at Penelope and says, "So what's the deal? How did you get the scar?"

Penelope looks very uncomfortable and says, "It's a long story."

Seemingly oblivious to her discomfort, Pepper says, "I'd totally FREAK if I had an ugly scar like that. It's so big."

Lisa feels like hitting Pepper. She can almost see Penelope's happiness shrivel like a popped balloon. She snaps at Pepper, "You idiot!"

Penelope turns and runs, followed closely by Lisa. When she finally catches her, Lisa says, "Penelope, ignore her. Her brain is made of silicone."

Penelope sniffles and says, "I'm ok."

Lisa says, "No you aren't. Penelope, don't let her get you down. She's seriously a moron. I don't see WHAT Howie sees in her."

Snorting, Penelope says, "I do. She's not hideous."

From behind her, AJ says, "Neither are you, Penelope." Looking at Lisa, he says, "What happened?"

Lisa says, "Pepper being her usual, bitchy self. God, why does Howie put up with her?"

Penelope says, "It's ok. I'm fine."

AJ says, "No you're not. You're pale as a ghost and shaking."

Penelope says, "I'm fine. Let's go back. The eclipse will be starting soon."

When they get back to the observatory, Nick notices Penelope avoiding them all and focusing on setting up the telescopes with the students.  He catches Lisa and AJ talking and walks up to them, asking "What the hell is wrong with Penelope? She acts like I'm not here."

Lisa sighs as AJ says, "Pepper opened her big fucking mouth and made Penelope feel bad. If she wasn't a woman..."

Nick groans and says, "What did she say?"

Lisa lowers her voice and says, "She told Penelope she would freak out if she had such a big, ugly scar on her own face."

Nick closes his eyes and whispers, "That bitch."

Brian walks up and says, "What's going on?"

Before Nick can answer, Penelope raises her voice and says, "OK, it's starting. Every take a telescope. They should all be calibrated correctly."

As everyone settles in to watch, Nick sees Penelope slip outside. His heart almost breaks in two. He looks around and sees Pepper and Howie all lovey dovey in a corner and almost snaps. He walks over to them and says, "Pepper, if you say one more word to my girlfriend, I swear to God..."

Howie says, "Whoa, Nick, what the hell?"

Pepper says, "What? I didn't say anything to her."

Lisa says, "Pepper, that's an out and out lie, I was standing right there?"

Pepper says, "What? I just said that if I had a big ugly scar on my face I'd freak out."

Howie lowers his head and says, "Pepper, you didn't."

Nick chimes in and says, "You do have a big, ugly scar, Pepper. It's called your mouth."  Looking at Howie, he says, "Keep her away from Penelope. I mean it."

Nick walks outside to find Penelope sitting in the middle of the courtyard, watching the moon. He glances up at it before sitting beside her. She says, "Isn't it amazing Nick? Did you see it through the telescope?"

He puts his arm around her, feeling her flinch. He fights the urge to kill Pepper and whispers, "I'd rather look at you."

Knowing AJ and Lisa told him what happens, she just lowers her head and says, "I'm ok, Nick. On some level, I'm used to it."

He says, "No it is NOT ok."

She leans into him and says, "Yeah it is. Now, watch the eclipse with me."

They tilt their heads upward and watch the shadow slowly slide across the moon. When the moon is almost totally dark, she says, "Come on, you need to see this."

She leads him back inside and says, "Look at the sky when the moon is completely covered."

Nick looks through the telescope, more than amazed at how brightly the stars are shining. He hears voices murmuring around him and feels Penelope standing close to him. He looks away from the cosmos and into her eyes and whispers, "I love you."

She tilts her head up and kisses him, whispering, "I love you too."

After the eclipse, the students make hasty retreats, all of them having early morning classes. Suddenly, Penelope notices Pepper is nowhere to be seen. Howie comes up to her and Nick and says, "Penelope, I'm really sorry about what Pepper said. She's..."

Penelope says, "It's ok.  Don't worry about it."

Howie says, "But I am worried about it. I can't believe she did that."

Penelope says, "Howie, really, it's ok. It wasn't the first time nor will it be the last I hear comments like that. I'll be fine."

He hugs her gently and says, "You are beautiful. Nick was right."

She smiles at him and says, "Thank you."

After everyone says goodbye and Penelope plans a shopping excursion with Lisa and Sage while Nick is out of town, he says, "You sure you're ok?"

Holding his hand as they make their way out to their waiting taxi, she says, "I am Nick. I wasn't lying. I've heard it before. It just hits me hard at first. I'm ok."

He says, "Will you come to my place?"

She says, "Can we go by mine first? I need clothes for work tomorrow and my car."

He snuggles with her as he gives the driver her address. When they get inside her apartment, he lounges on her bed as she packs a bag.  When she finishes, she sits beside him and says, "Can we talk for a minute?"

He sits up and says, "Of course. What's wrong?"

She says, "Nothing. You leave next Friday, right?" He nods. She says, "Well, if the offer still stands, my lease is up this month and well..."

His smile makes her heart race. He says, "You mean it? You'll live with me?"

She laces her fingers with his and says, "I want to more than anything."

He puts his forehead against hers and says, "Can we move you in before I leave? I don't want to leave you here."

She says, "I don't want to stay here anymore Nick. I can't move on living here."

His lips cover hers in a tender kiss that makes her ache. When they part, he says, "Come on tour with me."

She smiles against his lips and says, "I wish I could. I have a job, you know?"

He sighs and says, "Quit. Come with me."

She slides her arms around his neck and thinks about her plans with her father for the doctor's appointment. She whispers, "I can't right now Nick." After a lengthy silence, she whispers, "I'm going to miss you."

He holds her tightly and says, "I'll miss you too." When she buries her face in his neck, he whispers, "Let's go home, Penelope."

 

 

End Notes:

Love to know what you think! :)

Chapter 8 by tiggerc128

 

Lost and Found

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 08

 

            Nick leaves tomorrow. Now that Penelope is living with him, he feels better about going out of town. Even more so knowing AJ will be keeping an eye on her. Sage will be back in town in a week to do some shopping with Penelope. Nick smiles at how well she fit right in with his family. He knew she would.

            Speaking of families, Penelope had given her sister and her father her knew address. Both had stopped by for a visit.  Nick was pleased to see them accept Penelope living with him, but part of him worries about what her mother will say.  Then again, she didn't bother to show up so that says it all.

            Penelope is snuggled up on Nick's chest as they watch a movie. He can feel her body trembling and he looks down, surprised to find her crying. He flips off the TV and says, "Hey, Sweetheart, what's wrong?"

            She sniffles and says, "Nothing really. I'm just being stupid."

            He says, "Come on, something's got you upset, what is it?"

            She plays with the drawstring on his sweat pants and says, "Seeing Daddy and Juliette today...I just wish my mother cared about me in some way."

            He kisses the top of her head and says, "Believe it or not, I know how you feel. I'm a meal ticket for my mom. I take care of her because I kind of feel like I have to, but I don't have anything to do with her. She made her choices. I made mine."

            Penelope says, "I guess that's the problem. She CHOSE me and still...she hates me."

            Nick says, "Sweetheart, she's the one losing out, not you."

            Penelope tilts her head back and says, "I know you're right. I guess I'm just moody. I don't want you to go."

            He smiles gently and says, "You can still go with me. One ticket can turn into two fairly easily."

            She sighs and says, "I wish I could. I have plans with Daddy and Juliette next week. I don't want to let them down."

            He kisses her nose and says, "I'll call you every day. Before you know it, I'll be back, holding you just like this and kissing you all over."

            Smiling at him seductively, she says, "Maybe you can do that before you leave."

            Leaning back on the couch, he watches her crawl up onto his body, saying, "I had planned on it."           

            She tugs the front of his t-shirt up and scratches his stomach, saying, "What's stopping you?"

            He slides his hands up her thighs to her hips and says, "Just waiting for you to decide you want to have your way with me."

            She leans down and places a lingering kiss on his cheek before whispering, "I always want to have my way with you."

            Their kisses become more heated, but neither rush to get to the sex. For Nick he's beginning to realize that for the first time in his life, he's content.  He's in a healthy, loving relationship with a woman who's warm and loving and needs him. No one's ever needed him and the urge to protect her overwhelms him.

            For Penelope, she's finally with a man who puts her first. His job, his friends, it all comes AFTER her. When she's with him, she feels safe.  For the first time in over 2 years, she's not afraid.

            Nick languidly pushes her back on the couch and tears his lips from hers to say, "You have the most delicious mouth, Penelope." She blushes and he whispers, "I love it when you blush. So sexy."

            She blushes deeper and says, "What else do you love?"

            His hand skims down her side to grab her thigh and he whispers, "I love being deep inside you, Penelope. Let's go to bed."

 

            After the car picks Nick up for the airport, Penelope heads to work. She talks with the professor about taking time off only to learn that at the end of the school year, her position was going to be cut anyway. This surprises her and really sends her into a funk. Now, on top of everything else, she has to go job hunting. Living with Nick is simpler, he won't let her pay for anything, but she's always been independent. Now she feels stuck.

            After signing the paperwork to take a leave from work, she heads home with a heavy heart. She'll get paid for the rest of the year, and she doesn't have to work, but still...she feels empty.  When she gets home and tosses her keys on the table, she wonders if she should call and tell Nick.  Before she gets a chance, her phone rings. Seeing it's an unknown caller, she thinks it's Nick and answers with a sexy, "Hello, Stranger."

            Imagine her embarrassment when AJ says, "Well, hello Beautiful!"

            She groans and says, "Oh my God...I thought you were Nick!"

            He laughs and says, "I know. It's ok, you have one sexy ass voice. No wonder Nick hid you for so long."

            She laughs with him and says, "I think he did that more for me. How are you?"

            AJ says, "Bored. Sage left and I'm lonely. When do you get off work? We can catch a movie."

            She sighs and says, "I don't think I'm up for it. Why don't you come over and I'll make dinner and we can watch one here?"

            He says, "What's wrong?"

            She says, "Nothing. Well, something, but...it's a long story."

            He says, "Tell me when I get there, ok? Half an hour."

            Before she can say anything, she hangs up. Sighing loudly, she goes into the bedroom and curls up with Nick's pillow. Knowing AJ will tell him what's going on, she calls Nick. 

            He answers with, "Baby, I wanna come home."

            She laughs and says, "I want you too. I wish you could."

            He says, "Come be with me. Please?"

            She says, "I wish I could. But I do have plans with Juliette and Dad next week. Maybe after that."

            He says, "Whoa, wait a minute...before you said work, and now you don't mention it. Does this mean you're willing to take a break? For me?"

            She smiles at his attitude and says, "I'm ALWAYS willing to do that Nick. But...it's a moot point. Found out today I'm losing my job."

            He says, "Oh Baby, I'm sorry."

            She says, "It's ok. I was going to throw myself a pity party, but AJ won't allow it."

            Nick laughs and says, "Good for him. So, why can't you come see me now?"

            She says, "I can't divulge details Nick. It's a surprise."

            He lowers his voice and says, "Is this surprise made out of lace and easily taken off your body with my teeth?"

            She laughs and says, "Involving my father, highly doubtful! But maybe AJ will take me shopping."

            Nick groans and says, "I do NOT want AJ looking at your panties."

            She falls back on the bed and says, "Not to worry, Nick. Those are for your eyes only."

            She can almost hear his smirk over the phone. He says, "Good. So, speaking of panties...why don't you take yours off and tell me EXACTLY what you're doing?"

            Before she can form a coherent thought about the naughty ideas in his mind, the doorbell rings. She chuckles and says, "Really want me to? AJ just got here."

            He groans and says, "DAMN HIM!" She laughs and he says, "You really ok?"

            She heads for the door to answer it and says, "I really am. I miss you."

            He says, "I miss you too. Call me after he leaves, ok? I wanna talk dirty with my girlfriend."

            She giggles and says, "Love you."

            He says, "Love you too. Have fun."

 

            AJ spends the evening trying to cheer her up, and does a great job of it.  By the time he leaves, she's feeling a lot better. Before she calls Nick, she calls Juliette to let her know what's going on.

            When Juliette answers, she says, "Oh I'm SO glad you called. Did Dad get you yet?"

            Just as she's asking, the phone beeps. She says, "I assume he's calling now. Hang on."

            She answers and her father says, "Punkin, Dr. Stein's secretary called. He's in town tomorrow for a conference and can move up your appointment. Can you make it around 1:30?"

            She sighs and says, "Yeah, Daddy, I can. Listen, Juliette's on the other line. Can I call you back?"

            He says, "We can talk tomorrow. I have a charity dinner to go to with your mother."

            She says, "Thanks Daddy, I'll see you tomorrow."

            He says, "I'll pick you up at 1:00."

            When she goes back to her sister, Juliette says, "Want me to go with you tomorrow?"

            Penelope says, "No, I think I'll be ok with Daddy. Listen, I need to tell you something."

            After telling her about her job, Juliette says, "Don't let Mother know. You know what will happen."

            Penelope says, "It won't. I'm not working for Daddy. It's just not me."

            Juliette says, "What about Nick?"

            Penelope says, "What about him?"

            Juliette says, "Go be with him. Travel with him."

            Penelope says, "I want to.  But...we'll see."

            Juliette says, "Penelope, you found love.  Grab a hold of it and don't let go."

            After hanging up, Penelope looks at a picture of her and Nick sitting on the desk. With tears in her eyes, she traces his face and whispers, "I'm never gonna let go."

 

            She tries calling Nick, but it goes to his voicemail. After leaving him a message to call her, she pops in one of the CDs Eddie gave her. The first few songs are all a capella.  Penelope sits, mesmerized by the harmonies. She can pick Nick's voice out easily because he sings to her so much.

            After a dozen songs, she can see why the group is still so successful. The first CD is mostly dance songs and she finds herself dancing around the apartment to Set It Off more than once.  As she settles down to listen to the second CD, her phone rings. Turning the stereo down, she answers with a breathless, "Hello?"

            Nick groans and says, "PLEASE don't answer the phone that way."

            She laughs and says, "Sorry, Sweetie, I was dancing."

            He asks, curiously, "With whom?"

            She giggles and says, "These guys I've been listening to on CD all night."

            He chuckles and says, "I take it you like what you're hearing?"

            She says, "I love it! Nick, you guys are amazing."

            He says, "What's on now?"

            She says, "You're asking me?" 

She turns up the CD player so Nick can hear it. When he does, he says, "Do me a favor, Baby."

            She says, "Sure, what?"

            He says, "Get the computer and let's Skype. I need to see you."

             She says, "But I'm listening to this awesome CD."

            He laughs and says, "If you will, I have a surprise for you."

            She chuckles as she turns off the CD and heads to the office. She says, "Nick, are you going to do something dirty?"

            He lowers his voice to a growl and says, "Want me to? I can. I already have a hard on for you."

            Thankful he can't see her blush, she says, "You are SUCH a bad boy Nick."

            He chuckles and says, "You know you love me this way."

            Once they are on Skype, they hang up their phones and Nick says, "Damn you look good enough to eat."

            Another blush as she says, "You don't look to shabby yourself. I miss you."

            His gaze softens and he says, "I miss you too, Penelope. So, about that surprise."

            She says, "Yes?"

            He says, "Did you hear any of the song that was playing when I called?"

            She shakes her head and says, "No, why?"

            He smiles and her heart melts.  He says, "Good."

            She watches as he pushes back away from his desk and picks up a guitar. Watching him makes her ache. All she wants is to be with him. She listens as he starts strumming the guitar.  When he starts singing, she's mesmerized.

It seems like yesterday when I said "I do"
And after all this time my heart still burns for you
If you don't know by now that you're my only one
Take a look inside me and watch my heartstrings come undone

I know I promised you forever
Is there no stronger word I can use
To reassure you when the storm is raging outside
You're my safest place to hide

Can you see me, here I am
I need you like I needed you then
When I feel like giving up
I climb inside your heart I still find
You're my safest place to hide

            She's blown away watching him. He's so into the song, his eyes are closed. What gets to her the most is that he actually means what he's singing to her. Tears leak from her eyes as he continues...

You see colors no one else can see
In every breath you hear a symphony
You understand me like nobody can
I feel like my soul unfolding like a flower blooming

When this whole world gets too crazy
And there's nowhere left to go
I know you give me sanctuary
You're the only truth I know
You're the road back home

His eyes open and even though they are miles apart, it's like he's right their when his eyes connect with hers. He sees her tears and she can tell he's getting choked up as he finishes...

Can you see me, here I am
Standing here where I've always been
And when words are not enough
I climb inside your heart I'd still find
You're my safest place to hide
My safest place to hide

I know I promised you forever
There's no stronger word I can use
To reassure when the storm is raging outside
You're my safest place to hide

Oh! Can you see me, here I am
Standing here where I've always been
When I feel like giving up
I climb inside your heart I'd still find
Yeah, yeah
You're my safest place to hide, oh yeah
You're my safest place to hide

            When the song ends, they just stare at each other. Finally, she whispers, "I miss you, Nick."

            He smiles and says, "I miss you too. Come to me Sweetheart. As soon as you can."

            She says, "I promise Nick. As soon as I can."

 

 

End Notes:

Love to know what you think! :)

Chapter 9 by tiggerc128

 

Lost and Found

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 09

 

            Penelope thinks about Nick as she's waiting to see the doctor.  Her father can tell she's preoccupied and he says, "What's wrong Punkin?"

            She smiles timidly and says, "I miss Nick. I wish he was here."

            He pats her hand and says, "Are you scared?"

            She nods and says, "What if it gets worse, Daddy?"

            He says, "It won't Sweetheart.  I swear, Dr. Stein in the best at what he does."

             After they call her name, she looks at her father and says, "Thank you Daddy."

            He says, "You don't have to thank me, Penelope."

 

            After seeing the doctor and him explaining the laser procedure he will be using to take away the scar, she's anxious and confused about having it done. Anxious because he's so confident in his skills, she feels there's no way he'll mess up. Plus the before and after pictures of some of his clients were incredible; so much so, she wanted to have the surgery then and there. He even offered to do it the next day.

            She's confused because of the recovery time.  She promised she'd go be with Nick, but it's going to take eight weeks to heal. She knows while he's on the road, he's scrutinized by not only his fans, but the media and the paparazzi. The last thing he needs is someone on his arm that looks like a freak.

            She says, "Dr. Stein, will it really take that long to heal?"

            He says, "Yes, it will, Penelope. It takes a while for the new skin to grow. You're not a very patient person, are you?"

            She says, "Actually, I am. I just was planning on going to spend time with my boyfriend while he travels. But if I'm going to look like a freak..."

            He says, "Penelope, you won't look like a freak.  The area will be red, but that's about it.  The only thing I need to caution you about is sunlight. Until the new skin completely forms, your face should be protected at all times. The sun can cause more damage than you know."

            She says, "I understand Dr. Stein. And you can really do this tomorrow?"

            He says, "Penelope, your father is very persuasive. I'll do it today if you want."

            She blushes and says, "I'm sorry if he bullied you."

            Dr. Stein laughed and said, "No, it wasn't like that. I promise. Now, do you want me to set up the procedure?"

            I think about Nick and say, "Yes. Tomorrow please. I need...I need to talk to my boyfriend about it."

            Dr. Stein says, "I promise, you'll be just fine."

            Penelope fingers the end of her shirt and says, "Dr. Stein...the other scars..."

            He says, "I recommend we do one at a time, Penelope.  It's not going to hurt too much, but when we do the scars on your torso, you're going to have to be very careful about what you wear. If you plan on traveling with your boyfriend, you need to wait. I recommend that maybe in six months you come back for the others. OK?"

            She nods and stands, saying, "Thank you Dr. Stein. See you tomorrow morning, then?"

            He nods and says, "8:30. You'll be my first patient. By tomorrow night, you'll be on your way to see your boyfriend."

            She smiles and says, "That may wait a few days.  But yes, very soon, I'll be seeing him."

 

            After her father drops her off, she sits down and thinks about what to say to Nick. She wants it to be a surprise, but there's no way she can wait two months to see him again. She'll go insane. 

Before she can call him, the doorbell rings.  She opens it to find AJ standing there with an older lady. He says, "Hey Beautiful, I brought someone to meet you. Mom, this is Nick's girl, Penelope.  Penelope, my mother, Denise."

            Feeling a bit more than shell shocked that AJ would spring this on her, she says, "Umm, hi, it's nice to meet you."

            Denise says, "I'm sorry Penelope. I'm only in New York for a couple of days and Alex insisted."

            Stepping back, she invites them in and says, "No, it's ok, really." Giving AJ a glare, she says, "What brings you to New York?"

            He just smirks and goes into the kitchen, leaving the women alone.  Denise says, "I just finished a book about Alex and was meeting with the publisher."

            Thus begins a two hour visit with Denise that leaves Penelope feeling secure in her friendship with Alex and his mother.  After they leave, she picks up her phone and calls Nick. It goes straight to voicemail. She checks the time and realizes he's heading on stage soon.  She leaves him a simple message; "I love you Nick. Call me when you get this. I need to talk to you about something. Tonight if possible."

 

            It's 2:30 in the morning and she wakes up gasping for air and panting.  She looks quickly about the room, nothing's changed. Closing her eyes, she lays back down and whispers, "It's just a dream, you ninny."

            Her dreams, or rather, her nightmares, had been few and far between until Nick left. Now they've come back with a vengeance.  After getting her breathing under control, she gets up and gets a drink of water.  When she crawls back in bed, she picks up her phone.  No calls.  Figuring he had an after party, she lets it go, knowing he's busy. She lays back down and pulls his pillow close to her chest in a vain attempt to make herself feel like he's there holding her so hopefully she can sleep.

 

            The procedure goes off without a hitch. When she's on her way home, her Dad says, "Does it hurt Punkin?"

            She says, "It feels tight."

            He says, "Remember what Dr. Stein said. It's going to be tender so don't let the sun hit it."

            She rolls her eyes and says, "Yes, Daddy."

            He laughs and says, "You're always gonna be my Punkin. Want me to stay with you?"

            She says, "No. I'll be fine.  Alex is coming back today and I'm going to call Nick and make plans."

            Her Dad says, "Penelope, I've never seen you happier. I'm glad you found your Nick."

            She looks out the window and says, "No Daddy. I think Nick found me."

 

            After her Dad drops her off, she checks her phone.  Four missed calls from Nick. She sighs and dials his number. He answers with, "Baby are you ok?"

            She chuckles and says, "Hello, Nick. I'm fine. How are you?"

            He sighs loudly and says, "Relieved. I'm sorry Baby, I got worried when I called and you didn't answer. You sure you're ok?"

            She says, "I'm fine. I was out with my father this morning. Just got home."

            He says, "How is your father? And what did you need to talk to me about last night? Sweetheart, I'm so sorry.  The after party ran till 3:00 am and I crashed on the bus."

            Fixing herself a glass of water, she pops a straw in it and says, "Daddy's fine. I just wanted to talk to you about...well..."

            He says, "What? What's wrong?"

            She takes a drink of her water before saying, "I did it."

            She hears the confusion in his voice when he says, "You did what?"

            Taking a deep breath and fingering the bandage on her face, she says, "I...saw a surgeon."

            His silence speaks volumes. She knows he's upset, even though he doesn't sound upset when he says, "You did? Why didn't you tell me? I'd have flew in.  Been there for you."

            She says, "I know you would have, but it wasn't necessary. Daddy went with me."

            Nick says, "And? What did he say?"

            She says, "He thinks that by the time it heals, no one will know there was ever a scar."

            Again, another lengthy silence, broken only when he says, "By the time it heals? You...had the procedure?"

            She bites her lip after saying, "Yeah. 8:30 this morning."

            He says, "Why didn't you tell me, Penelope?"

            Now she can't decide what his voice sounds like. Hurt. Angry. Indifferent. She says, "I was going to surprise you. Then I decided I wanted to tell you, which is why I called."

            He says, "You could have called this morning."

            She knows he's hurt. She whispers, "I'm sorry. I didn't...want to wake you."

            He says, "Penelope, what's wrong? Why are you crying?"

            Sniffling, she says, "I...I thought you'd be happy."

            He says, "Sweetheart, I am happy. You're my girl. I just wish I had been there for you, that's all. I'm not upset."

            She says, "Are you sure?"

            He says, "Penelope Siobahn, I love you! How in the world could you think this would upset me?" When she doesn't say anything, he says, "How do you feel?"

            She says, "It feels kind of tight, but ok. Dr. Stein says it will take about 8 weeks to heal."

            He surprises her by saying, "Yeah, I read that. You also can't be out in the sun."

            She's shocked. She says, "How did you know? Did Juliette tell you I was doing this?"

            He says, "No Sweetheart, I was doing research...I was hoping if I had all the facts for you it would make your decision easier."

            She tries to smile at his thoughtfulness but winces when it pulls at her wound. She says, "Nick, once I realized it didn't matter to you, that made the decision very easy."

            He says, "Wait, I'm confused. What?"

            She says, "You know why I really didn't get it done sooner?"

            He says, "You said you didn't want your mother holding it over your head."

            She says, "Besides that."

            He says, "No, I really don't know.  Why?"

            She says, "I was afraid it would get worse."

            He says, "Penelope..."

            She says, "It's ok, Nick.  I'm ok now."

            After a lengthy silence, he says, "Can I ask you something?"

            I say, "Sure. What?"

            He says, "Will you come and see me NOW?"

            She giggles and says, "Give me a couple of days. This is kind of...uncomfortable."

            He says, "Sweetheart, should you be talking?"

            She says, "It's fine.  But Nick...about, well, the fans and all?"

            He says, "Don't worry. No one is going to say anything bad about you. And if they do, they answer to me!"

            She says, "Nick, I just...I don't want to embarrass you."

            He sighs and says, "Baby...I love you more than life itself. NOTHING about you embarrasses me or ever will. Hell, you can fart in elevators for all I care. I just want to be with you. I'm PROUD to call you my girlfriend.  I'm ready to tell the world."

            She bites her lip for a minute before saying, "You really do mean that, don't you?"

            He says, "Don't believe. Watch Twitter."

            She says, "Twitter? Nick, what are you doing?"

            He says, "I'm going to tell the world that I'm in love with one Miss Penelope Siobahn Evans."

            She says, "Nick, you're crazy."

            He says, "I know. I'm crazy about you. Last chance to stop me...I'm ready to tweet."

            She's quiet for so long, he thinks she hung up. Imagine his surprise when she says, "Were you bluffing?"

 

            By the time AJ shows up, she's feeling more secure in their love. She's more than a bit overwhelmed by the fans responses on Twitter. They seem ok with it. But none of them have seen her yet. Even though she's still nervous about it, his willingness to tell his fans that he has a girlfriend makes her the happiest girl in the world.

            When AJ comes through the door, he says, "What the hell is Nick doing? What happened to your face? Why is it bandaged?"

            She loops her arm through his and says, "Let's talk, AJ."

 

 

End Notes:

Please let me know! :)

Chapter 10 by tiggerc128

 

Lost and Found

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 10

 

            After telling AJ about the procedure and her plans to join Nick, he says, "Penelope, did I tell you how happy I am you and Nick are together? Thanks to you, he's actually become a normal human being."

            She laughs as she nods and says, "You've told e a few times. I'm pretty happy about it too."

            He says, "Before you decide to leave town, my mom wants to see you again."

            She gives him a puzzled look and says, "Why?  What's wrong?"

            He shrugs and says, "Nothing. She just took a liking to you and wanted to talk to you some more before she leaves town. How about dinner at my place tonight?"

            Fingering the corner of the bandage, she says, "Maybe she can just drop by here.  I'm not really up for going out."

            He says, "Oh, sorry.  Guess you'd be more comfortable here.  How about I bring a pizza?"

            She almosts laughs, but it hurts. She says, "AJ, I probably won't be eating a lot for a couple of days. Skin feels kind of tight.  But if you want to come over, it's fine."

            He laughs and says, "OK, we'll be here around 7. You take it easy."

            She hugs his neck and says, "I will. See you later."

 

            Penelope manages to nap for a while, waking up feeling a lot better.  She eats some soup and decides to do laundry. If she's going to go see Nick, she wants to make sure her best outfits are clean.

Just as she's putting the first load in the dryer, the door bell rings. Figuring it's her father or sister, she's shocked when she opens the door to find AJ's mother, Denise waiting.  After inviting her in, Penelope says, "I'm sorry I thought AJ said 7:00 tonight."

Denise says, "He did. But I wanted to talk to you alone, Penelope."

Penelope says, "Is everything ok?"

She sighs and says, "This is very hard for me, Penelope. Please, bear with me, ok?"  When Penelope nods, she says, "Penelope, Alex says you were adopted in Florida."

Penelope nods and says, "I was. When I was a baby."

Denise says, "When?  When is your birthday?"

Totally puzzled by her question, Penelope says, "July 17, 1979."

Denise pales considerably and sits down. She looks so pale, it's scary. Penelope says, "Denise, are you ok? Should I call AJ?"

Denise shakes her head and says, "No. NO, you can't."

Penelope sits beside her and says, "What's wrong? What's the matter?"

Denise meets her gaze and whispers, "Your eyes.  You have your father's eyes."

Penelope shakes her head and says, "What do you mean?"

Denise says, "Penelope, after I had Alex, my husband left me. He said a wife and kid were too much, he wanted to be free."

Penelope says, "I'm so sorry.  But what does that have to do with me?"

Denise says, "I had problems taking care of Alex alone.  I was depressed and lonely. One night, I left him with my mother and went out partying with friends. I met a man. We had a weekend. Then I never saw him again. He gave me a fake name and a number to an adult video store."

Penelope says, "I still don't understand, Denise."

Denise says, "Penelope, he got me pregnant...I had to give up the baby. I couldn't afford to keep her and Alex both. She deserved better...he did too, but I couldn't give him up too."

Penelope says, "But...well, you did what you had to for the baby, right?  I mean, you wanted her to have a better life, right? I'm sure you did what you..." The light goes off in her head. Penelope says, "You think that I..."

Denise says, "Penelope, I think you're my daughter."

Before she can reply the door bell rings. As if in a trance, she goes to open it, finding AJ holding a bag and a flower arrangement. Forget-me-nots in a glass bowl. Her eyes meet Denise's and she grimaces.  AJ doesn't seem to realize there's tension in the room. He says, "Hey Mom, you're early!" He kisses her cheek and says, "I brought you some soup, Penelope. You have to eat."

Denise stands and says, "I'm sorry, Alex. I can't really stay. I just dropped by to..."

He says, "What's wrong Mom?"

She says, "Just a headache. You two enjoy your dinner."

She beats a hasty retreat. Alex heads into the kitchen to get the food ready, muttering, "I'll never understand that crazy woman. But God knows I love her."

He doesn't realize it, but Penelope is still standing by the door, in shock. When he finally realizes something is wrong, she's hyperventilating. He grabs her shoulders and says, "Penelope? Penelope, what's wrong? What is it?"

She gasps for air, shaking her head violently as tears flow from her eyes. He grabs her and holds her close, whispering, "Come on Darling, shh, tell me what's wrong? Come on, calm down."

She buries herself in his chest, the only thought going through her mind is her brother is holding her. Her real, honest-to-God, living, breathing brother.  Sobs rack her body as she tries to come to grips with everything Denise had said.

He maneuvers her to the couch and sits with her, holding her gently. He stops asking her what's wrong and just holds her till she's all cried out. When she's calm, he says, "Penelope, what's wrong? Why are you so upset?"

She looks at him. Really looks at him. She takes off his glasses and stares at his face. Their eyes are shaped the same, but where hers is green, his are brown. She studies the shape of his face, finding they have the same sort of upturn tug to the right side of his mouth when he smiles. She whispers, "I can't believe it."

He says, "Believe what? What's going on, Penelope?"

            Before she answers, someone knocks on the door. He says, "Expecting someone?"

            She says, "No. Probably a delivery for Nick."

            He says, "I'm gonna grab a drink. After they leave, we're talking."

            As he steps into the kitchen, she opens the door to find Denise standing there. Denise says, "Penelope I'm so sorry for laying that all on you. Are you ok?"

            I nod and say, "I guess. I just never thought I'd ever know."

            Denise nods and whispers, "I thought about you every day of your life, Penelope. I never, ever stopped loving you, even though I gave you away. I thought I was making the right choice...the best choice for you."

            Before Penelope can reply, AJ walks into the room and says, "WHAT?"

            Denise pales, almost collapsing on the floor. AJ rushes forward and grabs her. Between him and Penelope, they get her to the couch. She looks up at AJ and whispers, "I'm so sorry Alex."

            He sits beside her and says, "What are you sorry for, Mom?"

            Finally coming out of the fog, Penelope realizes just what this means. She finally has the answer to a question that's plagued her most of her life. Why did her mother give her up? She did it for love. She wanted to give her a better life. And she had a good life, even if Katrina wasn't a good mother.

            She kneels beside Denise's feet and takes her hand gently. When their eyes meet, she says, "It's ok. I understand."

            Denise grabs Penelope and hugs her tightly, whispering, "I'm so sorry."

            AJ looks on perplexed. Finally, he says, "Can someone clue me in please?"

            Denise pulls away from Penelope and looks at AJ. She says, "Alex, sit with me." When he sits beside her, she takes his hand and says, "Alex, after your father left, I kind of did some crazy things. I went out one weekend and, well..."

            Penelope takes his other hand and whispers, "I'm your sister, AJ."

            He looks between them, not sure he's believing what he's hearing. Denise says, "Alex, I could barely take care of you. I knew I couldn't raise another baby."

            He seems so lost.  Penelope says, "AJ?"

            He looks at her and says, "You're really...?"

            She nods and says, "I...think so. I guess we have to have some kind of DNA test to prove it."

            Denise says, "I don't. I know you're my child. I just know it."

            Penelope turns to AJ and says, "I do too. Our eyes are shaped the same. And our mouths."

            He stares at her face and says, "Sister?"

            Denise says, "You have the same hands too."

            Penelope looks down at her hand in AJ's. Even though his are bigger, they are shaped the same. She puts his palm against her cheek and whispers, "Brother."

            He falls apart and grabs them both, hugging them tightly. Penelope revels in it. Even though she loves her Daddy and Juliette, she's found her home. When they pull apart, she wipes the tears from AJ's face and whispers, "Are you ok?"

            He says, "I'm in shock. I just can't believe..." Turning to Denise, he says, "How did you know?"

            Denise says, "Her eyes. She has her father's eyes."

            AJ puts his forehead against his mother's and whispers, "Mom, are you ok?"

            She says, "Honestly, I'm exhausted. Ever since I met Penelope, I knew. I couldn't go home until..."

            Penelope grabs her hand and says, "Don't go. Please. I want to...I don't know...just don't go. Stay."

            Denise says, "I'll stay if you want me too."

            Penelope says, "I want you to both stay. Here. Tonight. Please?"

            AJ says, "Penelope..."

            She says, "Please? AJ, I've dreamed about this most of my life. Please don't go."

            He nods.  They sit and talk for a long time. When AJ sees his mother fighting to stay awake, he says, "I think we all need to sleep. This has been an emotional night."

            Penelope says, "And I need to call Nick."

            AJ says, "You gonna tell him?" She nods and he says, "Good. Tell him he better be good to my sister or I'll kick his ass."

            Denise says, "ALEX, watch your language!"

            He grins sheepishly at his mother and says, "Sorry Mom."

            Penelope just giggles. Then she grabs Denise and hugs her tightly and says, "I'm so glad to know why."

            Denise says, "If I could change one thing in my life, I never would have let you go."

            After she's settled in the guest room, Penelope says, "You can take the bed, AJ. I'll sleep out here."

            He says, "No way. Get your ass to bed, Baby Sister."

            She throws her arms around him and he squeezes her tight. She whispers, "I couldn't ask for a better brother, AJ."

 

            When she calls Nick, he can hear something different in her voice. He says, "OK, what's going on?"

            She smiles and says, "What do you mean?"

            He says, "Well first you wait till midnight to call me...and you sound so, I don't know different. What's going on?"

            She says, "It's a really, really long story. Sure you want to know now?"

            He says, "Tell me, Penelope. What's got you in such a good mood?"

            She says, "Well, something really amazing happened tonight. I'm still thinking I'm going to wake up and it's all going to be a dream."

            He says, "What? What happened? You win the lottery?"

            She says, "No, even better." After a few seconds of silence, she says, "I know who my real mother is."

            He's quiet for so long, she thinks the call was disconnected. Finally he says, "Are you ok?"

            She says, "Yeah, I am. Nick, it's the most amazing thing."

            He says, "How did you find her, Penelope?"

            She says, "I didn't.  Wow, this is harder than I thought it would be."

            He says, "What is?"

            She says, "Nick, AJ...he introduced me to her."

            He says, "AJ? AJ found your mom for you? Why would he do that?"

            She says, "No, Nick, not like that.  He introduced me to his mom."

            Nick says, "And?" She's quiet for a minute, letting it sink in. Finally he says, "Denise is your mother? Your REAL mother?"

            Feeling the tears stinging her eyes again, she whispers, "Yeah. She...she came back tonight to talk to me. She says I have my father's eyes."

            Nick says, "No you don't. AJ's dad doesn't have green eyes."

            She says, "Nick, she had a one night stand. I was...the result. She wanted to give me a better life."

            He whistles and says, "Wow.  Penelope you sure you're ok?"

            She says, "I am. Just still in shock I guess. They are staying here tonight. I just couldn't let them go. There's so much I want to know, so many questions."

            He says, "I'm happy for you Baby. More than happy. I wish I was there. How did AJ take it?"

            She sighs and says, "Same as me. We all cried.  It's...very emotional. I mean, I love Daddy and Juliette and they'll always be my family, but...God Nick I fit with them. It's RIGHT...you know?"

            He chuckles and says, "I know Baby. Just like you fit with me."

            She lies across the bed and says, "I wish you were here Nick. I miss you so much."

            He says, "Then come be with me. Soon. Please?"

            She says, "I'm going to. I've already started packing."

            He laughs and says, "I knew you missed me."

            She says, "It's very, very hard to be away from you Nick."

            She can almost hear his smirk when he says, "You're right about one thing. It's very, very hard."

            She whimpers and says, "You play dirty, Mister."

            He chuckles and says, "Damn straight. I want you. Now hurry up and come to me."

            She sighs and whispers, "I will Nick. I love you."

            He says, "I love you too."

 

 

End Notes:

Love to hear your thoughts! :)

Chapter 11 by tiggerc128

 

Lost and Found

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 11

 

                Denise stays in town for a couple of days, but obligations have her going home.  Penelope goes with them to the airport, more than a little self conscious about the bandage on her face.  As she tearfully hugs her mother good bye, she whispers, "I'm so glad I finally know."

            Denise pulls back and kisses her cheek, whispering, "I didn't ask...but when I see you again, I want to talk about what happened?" At my puzzled look, she gently touches the bandage on my face. I wince and she whispers, "I'm sorry, it must still be tender."

            Penelope covers her hand and whispers, "It's not that. It doesn't hurt. I just...it's hard to talk about what happened."

            She kisses Penelope's cheek again and whispers, "Tell me when you're ready. OK?"

            Penelope nods and she and AJ watch as Denise makes her way through airport security. When she's out of sight, AJ says, "Penelope, when did you want to go see Nick?"

            Penelope loops her arm through AJ's as they leave the airport and says, "I think he has a flight planned for me day after tomorrow, why?"

            As they reach her car, he says, "Because...I want to go with you. But first...I'd like to meet your family."

            A shadow crosses her face and she says, "Why?"

            He says, "I just do. Penelope, they are part of your life. I want to thank them for making you who you are."

            She sniffles and hugs him before climbing into the passenger side of the car, opting to let AJ drive because she's still really emotional.  When he's in the car, she says, "AJ, I'd like them to meet you, but..."

            He says, "Don't want me to meet your mother, huh?"

            She says, "I don't want her looking down her nose at you like she did Nick. I hate it when she does that."

            He says, "Please?"

            She tries to hold her ground but he badgers her all the way back to her apartment.  By the time they get there, she's given in and said, "OK, I'll invite them to dinner."

            He says, "I want to take everyone out.  Call and see if they are free tomorrow, then we'll go shopping."

            She collapses on the sofa with her phone in her hand.  She calls Juliette first and gets a very enthusiastic ‘yes' from her sister.  Then she calls her Dad. That's a bit more complex phone call.  She says, "Hey, Daddy."

            He says, "Hey Punkin, how do you feel?"

            She says, "Fine really.  I can hardly feel it now."

            He says, "How does it look?"

            She says, "I don't know...I'm afraid to take the bandage off. I'm supposed to see Dr. Stein this afternoon."

            He says, "Do you want me to take you?"

            She glances at AJ and says, "No. I have a friend going with me. It's ok." AJ just smiles.

            Her father says, "So, what else is going on?"

            She says, "Daddy, I'd like to do dinner with you, Juliette...and Mother...tomorrow night. Please?"

            His surprise is evident when he says, "Sure. Everything ok?"

            She says, "Fine, Daddy.  A friend of mine would like to meet all of you."

            He says, "OK, Punkin, where?"

            She says, "La Pièce Rouge. 7:30 ok?"

            He whistles and says, "That's some place for just meeting a friend of yours, Penelope. You and Nick didn't elope, did you?"

            She laughs and says, "No Daddy. Nick's out of town now. I'm going to see him in a couple of days."

            He says, "How about I take us out, Sweetie? That place is expensive."

            I say, "No Daddy, AJ wants to take us out."

            He says, "AJ? Who's AJ?"

            I say, "He works with Nick Daddy. He's a good friend."

            Her Dad says, "Penelope Siobahn, don't tell me you're..."

            She laughs even louder and says, "NO Daddy, it's not like that."

            AJ chuckles and says, "I'm bringing Sage. She's flying in tomorrow."

            I nod and say, "Daddy, AJ's girlfriend will be there too. Stop letting your imagination get the best of you."

            He says, "Well, Punkin, it's been forever since you were dating and now you have two new men in your life. I'm not sure what to think." When his statement garners only silence, he whispers, "Oh Penelope, I'm so sorry!"

            She turns so AJ can't see her happy mood evaporate and she says, "It's ok, Daddy. It has been a while."

            AJ can tell something's not right. He moves to stand in front of Penelope, forcing her gaze to meet his. She sees the concern in his eyes. The love. She squeezes his hand and says, "Daddy, I need to go. I've got to do some packing. I'll see you tomorrow night, ok?"

            After hanging up, AJ says, "Tell me what he said."

            Trying to skirt the issue, she says, "He's looking forward to meeting you and he's afraid La Pièce Rouge is too expensive for me."

            He takes her hand and says, "Penelope, you KNOW that's not what I mean. Now, talk to me."

            She lowers her eyes, wondering how in the world she's going to get through this. Finally, she, "How about a glass of wine and we'll talk?"

            He says, "Just water for me, please."

            She gets his water and pours herself a glass of chardonnay. When they are sitting together on the sofa, she takes a deep breath and says, "A few years back, I was dating a man named Dave..."

 

            After she's finished her story, she's staring into her glass, her mind still firmly focused on the past. When she's brave enough to look up, she sees he's crying. She reaches out and wipes away the tears and says, "It's ok, AJ. It's over."

            He grabs her hand and says, "Penny..." He's the first person to call her that since Dave and she winces.  He says, "What?"

            She says, "Nothing...I just haven't been called that in a long time."

            When he realizes it's what Dave used to call her, he says, "You prefer Penelope?"

            She says, "Actually, I always liked Penny better. It's just...been a while."

            He says, "What does Nick call you?"

            She laughs and says, "Penelope."

            He says, "What would you like me to call you?"

            She thinks about it and whispers, "Penny."

            He hugs her and says, "It'll be ok, Penny. Sis. You won't get hurt again. I promise."

 

            Dr. Stein is pleased with her progress.  When Penelope sees her face for the first time without the scar, she almost flips out. Her cheek is red where the scar was but the offending, puckered line is gone.  She blinks rapidly, trying not to cry. Dr. Stein says, "Penelope, it looks wonderful. The redness will go away in a few weeks and you'll be wondering why you were so afraid."

            She wants to jump off the table into his arms.  Instead she says, "I just...I can't believe it's gone."

            He smiles and says, "We'll tackle those other scars in a few months, OK? Until then...if you have questions, you can call. I don't think you need another follow up visit unless you have problems."

            She says, "Aren't you going to bandage it again?"

            He says, "I could...but I think you're better off without the bandage. If you're more comfortable..."

            She closes her eyes and says, "Either way...I guess...looks bad, huh?"

            He says, "Penelope, it will fade. Those who know you...your family...they won't think twice about this."

            Penelope thanks him and heads out to find AJ. She knows one person who will think about it. Even comment.  Katrina Evans.

 

            She never did shop with AJ.  The next day, after promising to pick her up at 7:00 for dinner, he left her to her own devices to pick up Sage at the airport. She hasn't been on Skype with Nick since the procedure, even though he's asked.  Fear still gnaws at her gut. But before her family sees her face, she knows Nick should.

            Knowing he has the day off, she calls him. When he answers, he sounds frazzled. She says, "What's wrong Nick?"

            He laughs and says, "I'm in a rush. How are you Darling?"

            She says, "Good, but I thought you had today off."

            He says, "I do. From singing. Lots of other things I have to do though."

            She says, "I'm bothering you, huh?"

            He says, "Penelope, when have you EVER been a bother to me?  NEVER! Now what's going on?"

            She says, "Well...AJ's taking my family out for dinner tonight. I'm worried."

            He says, "About what? AJ will behave if your mother does."

            I have to laugh. I say, "She won't behave at all. That's the problem. I don't want her to insult AJ or Sage."

            He says, "Don't worry about AJ.  I think he'll be able to hold his own.  Besides, I know JUST what will make you forget about all your worries."

            When his tone of voice drops to a growl, her body tingles. She whispers, "Why, Mr. Carter, are you going to say something naughty?"

            He feigns innocence, saying, "Why say it when I can do it?"

            Before it registers in her mind exactly what he's said, she hears the front door open.  Dropping her phone, she runs through the apartment and leaps into his arms, kissing him with all the pent up energy of a school girl.

            When their lips part, he nuzzles her hair from her ear and whispers, "I've missed you."

            She buries her face in his neck and inhales his fragrance and whispers, "I've missed you more."

            He says, "Come on, let me look at you."

            She leans back, not letting go of his neck for anything. He smiles, holding her up off the floor with ease and says, "You're still SO beautiful, Penelope."

            She blushes and says, "Why are you here? I'm coming to see you. Tomorrow."

            He says, "Correction. You and AJ are flying out with me early tomorrow morning. I want you there for the show tomorrow night."

            He carries her into the living room and sits on the couch with her. She slides off his lap, but keeps her legs over his.  She says, "I can't believe you're here."

            He says, "I told you before, I'm not letting you face your mother alone. And I sure as hell am not sending AJ in without backup. He'll have her for lunch, trust me."

            She says, "I really hope she doesn't start tonight."

            He says, "Me too, but you know she will. After all, she thinks that ALL I'm after is your money!"

            When he wiggles his eyebrows up and down, she laughs and says, "You can have it. Every last dime."

            He leans closer and kisses her before whispering, "I only want you, Penelope."

            They snuggle together, both content. Until she feels his hand wander up under her shirt. She whispers, "Lose something?"

            He says, "Nope, found them right where I left them," as his fingers skim across one of her breasts, then the other.

            She whimpers and says, "AJ's not gonna be here till 7."

            He says, "I know. He's hoping to get lucky before dinner."

            She traces his lips with her finger and says, "Funny, so am I."

 

            When she's dressed for dinner, Nick can't stop staring at her. She has on a strapless brown silk dress that comes down to just below her knees.  Around her waist is a green sash that somehow perfectly matches her gorgeous eyes. She's opted for letting her hair flow loosely around her shoulders, hoping it will cover the redness on her face. 

            Since she can't really go all out on makeup, she puts on barely a hint of eye shadow, with eye liner and mascara. Nick is so enamored by her, he's not sure if she's real or an apparition. Until she says, "Do I look ok?"

            That snaps him from his reverie. He says, "OK? Are you kidding? You're beautiful, Penelope. Absolutely stunning."

            She looks at him and smiles shyly, blushing at his compliments.  She says, "I must say, I think I'll have the most handsome date there."

            Nick spreads his arms and says, "What? This old thing?" That thing being a simple black suit with a white shirt and a blue tie that makes his eyes jump out and grab her right where it hurts. Her genitals. 

She steps closer to him, smoothing the shoulder of his jacket and saying, "I'm glad you're here Nick."

He gently kisses her nose and whispers, "I am too, Penelope."

 

End Notes:

Love to hear your thoughts! :)

Chapter 12 by tiggerc128
Author's Notes:

DInner with the folks.  Think AJ will bond with them??  ;)

 

Lost and Found

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 12

 

            AJ picks them up at 7:00 sharp. He makes a show of NOT conforming to Katrina Evans' standards by wearing a dress shirt, open half way down with a white wife beater under it.  Dress slacks and Italian leather loafers.  He looks like the ultimate bad boy...tattoos, earrings, gothic jewelry. And Penelope loves it.

            As she's greeting Sage, Nick shakes AJ's hand. AJ says, "Now Nick, we need to talk about your intentions toward my baby sister."

            Penelope can't help but laugh. Nick says, "You think I'm afraid of you McLean?"

            AJ chuckles and says, "Honestly, you should be. But I know how you feel about her."

            Nick's gaze rests on Penelope's smiling face and he says, "How could I not love her?"

            When they get downstairs, Penelope isn't surprised at all to see an SUV limousine waiting.  She looks at AJ and says, "Having fun?"

            He says, "What? Just trying to impress my baby sister."

            Nick says, "Trying to impress someone all right."

            Once in the car, Penelope says, "Before we get there, I want to apologize for anything my mother may say that is offensive."

            Sage says, "Is she really that bad?"

            Nick nods and says, "Worse. She doesn't care who she's trampling." He brushes back Penelope's hair and says, "Even her own family."

            Penelope says, "You'd think after 31 years, I'd be used to it."

            Nick says, "I don't know how anyone could get used to that. Makes me glad my mother was just nuts."

            AJ says, "Doesn't matter.  Tonight is about letting them know that Penny has her REAL family now too."  Looking at Penelope, he says, "I know they really are your family, but..."

            She says, "It's ok, AJ. I'm thrilled beyond reason to find out I have a brother...and who my real mother is."

            Nick studies them closely and says, "I guess you do sort of favor each other."

            Sage says, "They definitely have the same mouth.  And eyes, minus the color."

            AJ says, "Yeah, my eyes aren't that pretty."

            Nick laughs and says, "Damn right they're not."

            The witty banter keeps up throughout the 35 minute drive to the restaurant.  Penelope snuggles into Nick's arms, thankful he's here for what will undoubtedly be the hardest night of her life.

 

            When the restaurant comes into view, Penelope stiffens.  Nick holds her hand and says, "You ok?"

            She says, "I'm underdressed. Look at her."

            AJ says, "Your mother's in the blue one, right?"

            Penelope just nods. Her mother WOULD wear an evening gown to dinner.  Long, blue chiffon with a high collar. At least Juliette looks a little more at ease with her tea length floral print creation. Looks like organza but with Juliette, you just never know.

            Her father and brother in law are both in black suits with ties. She looks at AJ and he says, "Am I underdressed?"

            She smiles brightly and says, "No, you are perfect!"

            AJ says, "Then let's go meet the folks."

            AJ climbs out first and then helps Sage. Nick steps out next, holding his hand out for Penelope. She's so nervous...until her hand touches Nick's. She knows it's gonna be ok.

            When they walk up to her family, Penelope says, "Hey, Juliette, Cosimo." Turning, she says, "Hi Daddy." Then focusing her gaze on Katrina, she says, "Mother."

            Katrina stares at her and says, "Penelope, how can you go out in public like that?"

            Nick slides his hand around Penelope's waist and spares a glance at AJ.  He can see AJ is revving up for a showdown and decides to keep quiet and watch.

            AJ steps forward and says, "I'm sorry...who are you to speak to her that way?"

            Katrina takes in his appearance and says, "I don't believe we've been introduced."

            Before anyone can say anything, Donald says, "Enough Katrina. Stop making a scene."

            She says, "But Donald..."

            He says, "I said STOP. Let's go inside."

            Katrina turns and stalks into the restaurant. Donald turns to Penelope and kisses her cheek before saying, "You look beautiful, Punkin."

            She smiles up at him, unshed tears resting on her lashes and whispers, "Thanks Daddy."

            He follows Katrina in and Juliette whispers, "Daddy's right," as she hugs her sister.

            After everyone is seated in the private dining room AJ reserved, Donald says, "Punkin, I believe you said you had a friend to introduce."

            Penelope says, "I do. Daddy, Mother, Juliette, Cosimo, this is AJ McLean and his girlfriend Sage Winslow."

            Sage says, "Pleasure to meet you all."

            AJ mutters, "Almost all."

            Penelope finds herself wanting to giggle. Biting her lip, she puts her hand on AJ's arm. He pats her hand before turning back to Donald.  He says, "Penny speaks very highly of you, Mr. Evans. You seem to be a hero of hers."

            Donald says, "I'm very proud of Penelope."

            Katrina breaks in and says, "Penelope, what in the world has happened to your face?"

            Sighing, Penelope says, "I had the scar removed Mother. I thought you wanted that."

            She says, "I just can't believe you'd come out in public with your face so red. Couldn't you at least put on makeup to hide it?"

            Before she can answer, Sage says, "Mrs. Evans, your daughter has to let the skin heal before she can wear makeup."

            Katrina ignores her and says, "Really Penelope, what will people think?"

            AJ says, "I'm sorry, but are you enjoying cutting her to pieces? I thought mothers were supposed to support their children and nurture them. You seem to take great pleasure in tearing your daughter down."

            Katrina says, "First of all, young man, how I speak to her is none of your business. Who do you think you are?"

            AJ says, "I'm her brother and I'm NOT going to sit here and listen to you treat her like shit. She's been through hell; she doesn't need you to take her back."

            Everyone at the table is silent. Penelope looks at AJ, shocked he'd just say it like that. Katrina sputters, Juliette looks shell shocked, and Donald? He just smiles. Then he realizes what AJ said. Looking at AJ inquisitively, he says, "Brother?"

            His gaze falls on Penelope and she says, "AJ's mother...is my birth mother."

            Juliette gasps...then laughs and gets up, running around the table to hug Penelope. She squeals, "Oh my God, you found her! You did!" She turns to AJ and hugs him, saying, "Hello, Brother."

            AJ smiles and says, "The family is blessed with beautiful sisters."

            Turning back to Donald and Katrina, Penelope says, "We wanted to let you know before I leave town."

            Katrina says, "Leave town? Where do you think you're going?"

            Penelope says, "Nick's on tour for the next two months. I'm going with him."

            AJ says, "I'm going with her. I want to get to know my sister. Who knows, maybe I'll do a few of Nick's shows."

            Nick says, "You know you're welcome."

            Donald says, "So you're both in show business?"

            AJ says, "Yes Sir, we are." Clearing his throat, he says, "Mr. Evans, I want to thank you...and your wife...for giving Penelope a good life. My mother...has always regretted her decision."

            Katrina says, "Maybe she knew a lost cause when she saw one."

            Penelope gasps...then gets up and runs from the room. Nick stands to follow her, but not before saying, "No, the lost cause is you. You're a pathetic excuse for a mother and you can just go to hell."

            After Nick stalks out, Donald says, "Kat...I can't believe...that's it. I'm done."

            He follows Nick's lead. Juliette and her husband stand. Juliette says, "I hate you, Mother. I've hated you my whole life. I hope I never see you again."

            When left facing AJ and Sage, Katrina doesn't know what to say. AJ says, "If you EVER say ANYTHING like that about my sister again, so help me, I'll make sure you regret it."

            Katrina says, "How dare you!"

            AJ says, "I dare because I love my sister. You...you're such a two-faced, stuck-up, self-absorbed BITCH! Stay away from my sister!"

            When AJ and Sage get outside, Penelope is wrapped in Nick's arms, sobbing her heart out. Her adopted family stand helplessly by, not sure what to say. AJ walks over and puts his hand on her back. When she looks at him, he says, "I'm sorry, Penny."

            She pulls away from Nick and hugs AJ tightly, whispering, "It's not your fault...I knew..." She looks over to her father and says, "Daddy, I'm sorry, but I can't..."

            He says, "No, Punkin, I'm sorry. I never thought she could...would ever say...Punkin, I'll always love you and I'm always proud of you. After...after your mother leaves, maybe you can come and see me?"

            Penelope says, "Daddy...don't..."

            He says, "Penelope, I never realized the depths of her evilness till just now. If I have to choose between you and her...I choose you. You're a warm, loving girl and I'm so proud of the woman you've become, in spite of having Katrina for a mother."

            AJ says, "Why don't you all come with us? We'll go somewhere else and eat."

            Juliette says, "I'd like that. I'd like to get to know...Penny's new family."

            Donald holds his hand out to AJ and says, "So would I."

 

            After the scene made by Katrina, AJ wasn't sure Penelope would ever smile again. She just picked at her food at the new restaurant. He never wanted to hit a woman so bad in his like he does Katrina Evans.

            Even though he worried, he enjoyed getting to know the rest of her family. It even shocked him at the end of the night when Donald shook his hand and said, "It's been a true pleasure meeting you, AJ."

            In the limo on the way back to Nick's, everyone is quiet.  Penelope stares out the window, not snuggling against Nick like she did before. No one knows what to say. AJ knows when she finally does process the hurt feelings, Nick will be there for her...he just hates feeling so helpless while Penelope feels so lost.

            When they get to their building, Nick asks AJ and Sage to come in. AJ declines saying, "Thanks anyway.  We all have early flights so I want some alone time with my Lady."  He scoots over next to Penelope and says, "Penny, look at me." When she turns her gaze to his, he can see the hurt runs deep.  He brushes the side of her face with his thumb and whispers, "I'm sorry. I never would have asked if I had known..."

            She hugs his neck and says, "It's ok, AJ. I wanted them to know. I'll be fine."

            He says, "I mean it, I am sorry."

            She kisses his cheek and says, "I'm not. We'll talk tomorrow, ok?"

            After hugging Sage, Penelope climbs out of the car with Nick. He puts his arm around her as the elevator whisks them upstairs. Once in their apartment, she moves to stand by the window. He comes up behind her and whispers, "What can I do?"

            She leans back against him, grateful for his arms to hold her up. Letting go of the rage and hurt she's feeling, she just starts sobbing.  He lifts her in his arms and carries her to the bed.  He lays down with her and lets her cry it out, holding her close and rubbing her hair.

            When the sobs subside to just sniffles and hiccups, she says, "How can she hate me so much? What did I do wrong?"

            He says, "Sweetheart, it's not you. She just...she's a bitch, plain and simple."

            For some reason, his words make her giggle.  When he hears it, he scoots down in the bed just to watch her smile. As he gently wipes away the tears from her face, she says, "I love you. Thank you for being here."

            He kisses her gently, pressing his forehead to hers to whisper, "I love you too. It's good to be home."

 

 

 

End Notes:

Let me know what you think!  I'm extremely curious! :)

Chapter 13 by tiggerc128

 

Lost and Found

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 13

 

            Sleep eludes Penelope. Once she knows Nick is sound asleep, she gets up and slips on his t-shirt. She finds herself immersed in a bowl of Haagen Dazs white chocolate raspberry truffle. She stares at the clock. 3:30 am. The alarm will go off at 5 for them to get ready to go to the airport.

            When the ice cream is gone, she puts the container on the table and falls back on the sofa, trying to figure out how to get past what Katrina said. She can't think of her as "Mother" anymore. It's painfully obvious that's NOT what she is.  Or ever wanted to be.

            Strolling over to the piano, she softly fingers the keys, hopefully not waking Nick. Moonlight Sonata resonates through the apartment; it's soft, melancholy sound almost soothing to her heart. She never realized how deeply her mother's hatred ran until tonight. How deeply her disappointment in Penelope was.

            A single tear escapes her eyes and slowly travels down her cheek. It doesn't shock her at all that Nick is there to wipe it away. He straddles the seat beside her, putting his head on her shoulder as she plays. His presence gives her peace. He love gives her strength.

            When the piece is over, she whispers, "I'm sorry I woke you."

            He says, "You didn't. Not really. I haven't slept well on the road. Now I know it's because you weren't with me. I missed feeling you, even in my sleep."

            She leans against him and whispers, "I missed you too."

            He kisses her temple. "Why aren't you sleeping?"

            Sliding away from him, she stands, moving to the window, pressing her forehead against the glass. "Am I a lost cause, Nick?"

            Cursing Katrina under his breath, he says, "God, NO, Penelope. You can't let her get to you this way."

            She sniffles, pushing away from the glass and walking to the middle of the living room. Dropping down on the couch, she says, "But what if she's right Nick? Everything I tried, I failed at. I tried dance, couldn't do it. Tried piano, it's not for me. Hell, I couldn't even fall in love right."

            He moves to sit on the coffee table in front of her, not touching her. When her eyes meet, he says, "Penelope..."

            When she sees the hurt in his eyes, tears start flowing from hers. In an agonized voice, she says, "Oh Nick, I didn't mean it like that!"

            He grabs her face and kisses her tears away. "I know what you meant, Penelope. I'm not hurt because of that. My heart is breaking because I can't find the words to make you understand that YOU are not a failure. You're an amazing woman. You're beautiful, you're intelligent, and you're funny." Getting on his knees in front of her, he clasps her hands. "You're sexy as hell. You've got me so wound up all I can think of is spending the rest of my life in your arms. I'm so thankful I found you Baby. I just want to make you smile again. Smile and know that the people who love you will always love you just the way you are."

            She covers his hands with her, turning her head to kiss his palm. When she looks back at him, she whispers, "Thank you."

            Sliding forward, pulling her into his arms, he says, "It's the truth Penelope."

She puts her head on his shoulder and waits.  Waits for the tears to start again. But his words...they sink in and she realizes she finally has exactly what she needs. What her life was missing.  Real, honest-to-God, true love.

With her head still on his shoulders, she says, "You should sleep."

He chuckles and says, "Why? The alarm is going to go off in forty-five minutes."

She pulls back and looks into his eyes. They are dancing with love. She manages to open her legs and pull him more fully against her body.  Locking her ankles behind his back, she says, "Then maybe we can take advantage of our bed before we go?"

He pulls her tightly against him and says, "What about the couch?"

She giggles and says, "Why Mr. Carter, I've never..."

He swoops down, sucking her words into his mouth as he seals their lips together in an ardent kiss. She revels in the savagery of it, her heart fluttering with desire. She reaches down his back and slowly draws her nails up it, causing him to groan into her mouth. Ripping his way, he whispers, "Fuck, Penelope, I wanted to be romantic tonight."

She giggles and says, "Who says it's not?"

He smirks, causing her body to tense. "In that case..." He grabs the top of the shirt she's wearing, ripping it in half. She gasps as he looks down at her body. Licking his lips, he says, "Damn you're gorgeous. And no panties? Miss Evans, I never would have guessed!"

She giggles. "What? You're telling me you've never dated a woman that went commando?"

He blushes and says, "My GOD, you're just like AJ."

She looks at him in horror. "You mean now you don't want me because my brother is your friend?"

He chuckles and pushes her back against the cushions, sliding his fingers through the soft downy curls surrounding her sex.  With his fingers gently probing her, he whispers, "Baby, I want you now and always."

 

When they meet AJ and Sage at the airport, AJ just laughs. It's painfully obvious to AJ that Nick has had no sleep. And Penelope looks as wiped out as Nick. Ignoring the elbow to the stomach Sage gives him, AJ says, "Long night, you two?"

Nick growls, "Drop it, AJ."

He laughs again and says, "Now, now, Nick, I have to look after my sister."

Trying to keep her crankiness from showing, Penelope says, "Drop it, AJ. Please?"

He hugs her and kisses her temple, saying, "For you.  For now."

Sage's flight is at a different concourse so they say their goodbyes before getting to the security gate.  Sage hugs Nick, then Penelope. In her ear, she whispers, "AJ is thrilled you're in his life, Penny. I'm happy for you both."

Penelope whispers back, "Thanks. I'm glad he has you."

She moves off to the side with Nick so AJ and Sage can have privacy. Nick folds his arms around her and asks, "You ok?"

She nods against his chest. "Yeah. Just tired."

He kisses the top of her head. "You can sleep on the plane and when we get to the bus."

She nods again. Suddenly, there's an excited squeal close by. "OH MY GOD NICK CARTER!"

He sighs. Penelope pulls away as he turns to face the three fans clamoring up to meet him. Penelope keeps her face averted, hoping none of them notices her, but one says, "Is that your girlfriend? Can we get a picture?"

She hears Nick gently refuse. "I'd appreciate it if you didn't. She's not comfortable with this kind of thing."

Another says, "Whatever. Will she take a picture of us with you?"

Nick says, "I don't know...it's complicated."

The same girl walks past Nick to Penelope and says, "Hey, listen, would you please take our pictures with Nick? We promise not to post any of you on the internet."

Penelope's eyes meet hers and she sees...respect.  Eagerness.  Deciding to take the bull by the horns, she says, "Sure, I'll be happy to."

After snapping pictures, and even more when AJ walks up, the girls take their cameras, hugging Penelope and thanking her as they walk away, giggling. Nick stands by Penelope and says, "Sorry about that."

She puts her head on his shoulder and says, "I'm not. I have to get used to it. They were really nice."

He kisses the top of her head and says, "You did great. They love you."

She snorts and says, "They don't know me, Nick. They love you. We'll see how it goes."

He knows she's worried about her appearance. If the girls were sincere with their promise to not post pictures of her. He knows it's going to happen eventually.  He just hopes and prays that the fans treat her nice.  Yeah, he knows there will be those who think she's not good enough.  But the majority of his fans is awesome and only wants to see him happy.

Once on the plane, he settles back and watches Penelope. She curls up in a ball, leaning on him and almost immediately falls asleep.  He looks across the aisle to AJ, who says, "Think the fans will be nice to her?"

Nick gently kisses the top of her head and says, "I hope so man. I've never really said much to the fans about the women in my life...mostly because they all told me not to. They could take the criticism. I'm not going to let them bad mouth Penelope.  I absolutely refuse."

AJ says, "Nick...what if...I come clean about her being my sister?"

Nick strokes the back of Penelope's hand and says, "What about your Mom, AJ? What does she think?"

AJ smiles. "She's ready for anything, Nick. She just wants to be part of Penelope's life." Seeing Nick stifle a yawn, he says, "Get some sleep. Won't get any later."

Nick snuggles close to Penelope and says, "Think I will. Thanks Man."

 

While Nick and Penelope sleep, AJ watches them. Even in her sleep, she clings to Nick. What's funnier is Nick clings to her. He thinks back to the phone call he made to his mother last night.

"Mom, she's fine, really. After I got through with the bitch, I doubt very seriously she EVER says anything bad about Penny."

Denise sobs. "AJ, that woman...how can she be so cruel to my...to Penelope?"

AJ chuckles. "It's ok, Mom, you can call her your baby. I'm not gonna get mad. I'm still excited."

She sighs deeply. "Alex, I'm so sorry I never told you. It just hurt so much I wanted to forget. But I couldn't. Now...She looks SO much like you."

Deciding to ask a pretty probing question, he says, "What about her father, Mom?"

He can almost see her blush. "Alex, I don't know who he was.  He gave me a fake name and fake number. I never saw him again."

Rolling and unlit cigarette between his fingers. "Mom...when it comes out she's my sister...I want you to know I love you and I'm proud you're my mom. You were only doing what was best for her. She did have a good life. Her father and sister are amazing. I think you'd like them."

Not quite masking her anger, she says, "I want to meet HER. I want to know how she can be so cold hearted to such a beautiful, sweet girl."

Drawn from his reverie, he sees the seatbelt sign is on. He looks over to see Nick and Penelope engaged in a deep probing kiss.  Leaning his head back and closing his eyes, he smiles. Life is good.

 

 

End Notes:

Love to know your thoughts!! :)

Chapter 14 by tiggerc128

 

Lost and Found

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 14

 

            When they pick up their luggage, Nick and AJ are both recognized.  Not surprising since it's LA.  With his arm firmly around Penelope, Nick waves to the fans as they walk out of the airport.

            Once in the car, AJ says, "You're holding up pretty well Penny. How you feeling?"

            She says, "It's kind of overwhelming. How do you stand it?"

            Nick chuckles and says, "Years of practice, umm, Penny?"

            She smiles and says, "Yeah, Penny."

            Nick says, "I don't know....I think you're always gonna be my Penelope."

            AJ groans and says, "Man, that's my sister, come on!"

            Penelope just laughs at them. Her laughter is short lived though. While the guys discuss the show and what songs AJ will sing, Penelope checks her phone for messages. There are three. All from Katrina.

            Seeing Nick and AJ engrossed in planning the show, she turns away and puts the phone to her ear to listen.  The first one is blank.  The second one says, "I hope you're happy with the trouble you've caused." This one causes tears to form in her eyes. The third says, "Well, now that you've embarrassed our family publicly, I hope you're happy with your NEW family! Honestly, Penelope, how can you let them publish pictures of that hideous face of yours?"

            Disconnecting from her voicemail, she pulls up the internet browser on her phone and does an internet search for Nick Carter. When the news story opens, there's a picture of her with Nick and AJ at the airport in New York with the caption "Nick Carter's New Girlfriend?"  She quickly reads the short story.

Nick Carter was sighted in NYC with a brunette with stunning green eyes. Sources state that the beautiful woman is Penelope Evans daughter of business tycoon Donald and Katrina Evans. Sources say Miss Evans recently had surgery on her face for undisclosed reasons. Backstreet Boys fans state that Nick's new girlfriend is extremely nice and pretty. They also noticed how happy Nick is when she's around. "I think she's a keeper." stated one of the fans who met Miss Evans. It seems like this one might be the one.

She re-reads it again; stunned one of the fans called her a keeper. She glances up, catching AJ and Nick watching her with confused looks on their faces. She says, "What?"

Nick says, "What's going on?"

She shakes her head and says, "Nothing.  Just checking messages."

AJ says, "Give it up, Penny. You're pale as a ghost. What's wrong?"

She shakes her head and says, "Nothing. I don't think. I'm ok. Don't let me interrupt your planning."

Nick says, "We aren't planning anything until you tell me what's wrong. Please?"

Feeling the effects of very little sleep, she snaps, "Nothing's wrong, I swear. Just...a message from my...Katrina. That's all. Let it go, ok?"

Nick and AJ stare at each other as she turns and looks out the window. She feels guilty for snapping, but how can she explain her shame? Shame that pictures of her surfaced and the only thing anyone can focus on is her face. She's so filled with self-loathing that Nick putting his arm around her startles her.

When she spins around to look at him, shame floods her body. He looks so hurt when he whispers, "Penelope."

She sighs and leans into him, hugging his neck. "I'm sorry, Nick," she whispers.

He squeezes her and says, "Don't let her get to you, Penelope. She's an evil woman."

She sighs and says, "It's not just her...I..." She slides away from him, absentmindedly rubbing her face.

AJ watches her.  "What did she say, Penelope?"

She hands AJ her phone and snuggles against Nick's chest. Nick watches as AJ looks at the screen, wondering why such a huge smile is covering his friend's face. AJ says, "Penelope, did you read this? Or just see the picture and freak out?"

Sighing deeply, she says, "I read it...but..."

Nick says, "Read what? What's going on?"

AJ says, "Hang on Nick. Penny, what did the messages say?" She shrugs so he takes it upon himself to listen to them. Nick can see anger bubbling up through AJ like a volcano about to blow. When AJ puts the phone down, he mutters, "Fucking bitch."

Nick's arm tightens around Penelope. "What?"

AJ hands Nick the phone, saying, "She's pissed that Penelope would embarrass her.  Dammit, Penny, you can't keep thinking you're a disappointment. You're not. You're incredible."

Nick looks at the article.  And smiles. AJ watches Nick, a smile lighting his own face. Penelope pulls back, staring at them both. With a frown on her face, she says, "What's so funny?"

Nick turns to her and says, "The whole world knows you're mine. They know I'm yours."

She shakes her head in bewilderment. "Nick, I just...this is..."

He puts his finger over her lips. "You're just beautiful, plain and simple.  You're nice and sweet, just like the fans said, and you're DEFINITELY a keeper. So who gives a flying fuck about what the wombat said? We're happy. We're together. We're in love. We have all we need."

Before she can say anything, AJ interjects, "Besides, even though Nick's an ugly SOB, you make a cute couple. Beauty and the Beast."

Nick flips AJ off, before turning to Penelope. "Don't over think it, Baby. We're finally back together and I'm THRILLED the fans know. Just...give them a chance...I swear, they aren't as bad as you're thinking."

Looking at AJ, she says, "What happens when they find out I'm your sister?"

He snorts, "Who cares? The important people are happy. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks."

She chews on her lip, still snuggled up against Nick. She can't help but worry.  Hopefully they are right and everything will be ok.

 

At the hotel, Nick and AJ are once again greeted by their ardent fans.  They both wave as Nick firmly has his arm around Penelope. Once in the elevator, AJ says, "Nick, maybe you should make a statement about Penelope... at least to the fans.  You know rumors fly if we don't keep them informed."

Nick says, "Yeah, social media can be a blessing and a curse." He turns to Penelope. "You ok with me telling the fans that yes, Penelope Evans is my girlfriend and I'm very happy?"

She can't help but smile. "No, I don't mind. But what about...my face?"

He says, "What about it? Do you want me to mention it?"

Startled by his nonchalant attitude, she sharply says, "NO! I mean...I don't want to have to relive..."

He says, "Penelope all I have to say is you had a scar removed. No one has to know how it got there. I'd never give those details to anyone. Ask AJ, I didn't even tell him when he asked. Baby, that's your story to tell."

She believes him. In her heart and soul she knows Nick is going to take care of her and love her no matter what. "Make your statement Nick. The sooner those women know they can't have you, the better."

He hugs her tightly and says, "You have nothing to worry about, Baby. I am yours, heart and soul."

She grins wickedly. "I do hope your body is included in the package."

AJ groans and slaps his hand over his eyes as Nick pushes her against the wall and grinds into her. "Would you two PLEASE wait till you're in your room? Geesh, I don't need to see you do that!"

Nick laughs, dropping his head to plant a loud kiss on Penelope's lips. "Sorry, Dude, your sister is HOT!"

AJ just laughs. When the elevator stops, he hugs Penelope and says, "You're gonna be ok, Sis.  Just don't let Bigfoot squish you."

Penelope giggles as they walk to their room. "You know what they say about men with big feet, don't you AJ?"

He groans and hits his head on the wall outside his room as Nick laughs. "Don't do that to me, Penny. My old heart can't take it!"

Nick clears his throat. "Old is the appropriate word. Later AJ."

 

Once in their room, Nick swings her up into his arms and twirls her around. She laughs with him, her heart soaring as he moves to the bed and lays her down, stretching out beside her. He rubs his nose against hers. "I've missed you, Penelope."

She slides her leg up over his, her tiny hand stroking his face. "I've missed you Nick. I don't think I can handle being away from you."

He kisses her gently. "You don't have to be, Penelope. You can go everywhere I go, if you want to. I want you with me. Day and night. All the time."

She plays with the hair at the nape of his neck. "You mean that, don't you Nick?"

Her question confuses him. "Of course I do. Penelope, I love you beyond all reason. My life begins and ends right here in your heart." When he places his hand on her chest, she gasps. "I can prove it to you."

She shakes her head. "You don't have to Nick. I've never...no one's ever loved me like this. I keep waiting to wake up and find you're just a dream."

He leans down slowly and sucks her lower lip into his mouth. She whimpers, feeling her body react. He lets it go and says with a raspy voice, "You're the dream Baby. My dream come true. Now...I want you. I want every inch of your body."

She wiggles underneath him, bringing her leg up the outside of his body. "I want you too, Nick. I always want you."

He smirks and her heart flip flops. "God I love you, Penelope!"

She traces his lips. "I love you too, Nick."

He lowers his head and when their lips meet, she knows that no matter what anyone else thinks, she and Nick are meant to be. She wraps her arms around him, pulling him onto her body. Nothing can tear them apart. Ever.

 

 

 

End Notes:

Would love to know what you think!! :)

Chapter 15 by tiggerc128
Author's Notes:

This is it....for now!!!  Thanks for sticking with me.  :)

 

Lost and Found

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 15 - Epilogue

 

            No one ever told Penelope life as the girlfriend of a Backstreet Boy would be easy.  She knew there'd be rough waters. Fortunately, those haven't happened yet.  She and Nick have been inseparable and she loves it. 

            The fans really were very accepting.  When they met her, no one mentioned her face. They just hugged her and thanked her for making Nick so happy. 

            Announcing to the world she is AJ McLean's biological sister became a circus.  AJ decided to make the announcement on a morning talk show.  The group was performing after the interview.  Penelope was there, standing to the side while AJ talked about his mother's choices.

            When he started crying, Penelope wanted to fall apart. Through the tears he managed to say, "My mom is awesome. It broke her heart to have to give up Penny. Finding her was sheer luck. Or divine providence, I don't know.  I just know the last ten months have been incredible for her. She and Penny are as close as a mother and daughter can be.  I've never seen my mother so happy."

            AJ's eyes collide with Penelope's and they share a smile. Penelope is just as happy with the situation as Denise. She finally has a mom to share things with. To go to when life gets too tough. To turn to when all she wants to do is cry.

            Which has happened a lot lately. She's been moody and cranky and a royal pain in the ass. Bless Nick and AJ, they've been great. Denise is standing close to Penelope as AJ speaks. She leans closer and whispers, "What's wrong Penny?"

            Penelope sniffles, "Mom, I just...I don't know. I wish I did. Everything makes me cry. At the show last night, they were singing PDA and I cried. How can I cry when they sing that song?"

            Denise puts her arm around her and whispers, "Penelope, could you...be pregnant?"

            The blood drains from Penelope's face. She turns to face Denise. "Mom...I...what?"

            Denise clucks her tongue against her teeth. "It could explain the mood swings. And the buffalo wings dipped in duck sauce you had for breakfast yesterday."

            "Or the spaghettios mixed with baked beans that made Nick gag." Penelope closes her eyes. "Mom..."

            Denise puts her arm around her. "Now, now, what's all this? I thought you and Nick had already talked about having kids."

            "We did," Penelope whispers.  "But later. In a year or two."

            Denise smiles and places a gentle kiss on Penelope's face. "God has other plans, my dear."

 

            After the interview, a producer approaches Penelope about doing a short interview on another show about finding her mother.  Then he asks if her adoptive family would be agreeable to joining the interview.  OK, not something she's sure about doing so she says, "Just...I need to think about it and talk to them."

            He hands her a card and says, "Call if you will and we'll schedule it."

 

            When Nick finishes changing back into ‘normal' clothes, he finds Denise alone. "Where's Penelope?"

            Denise clears her throat. "She, umm, she said she'd meet you at home and for you not to worry."

            Nick looks puzzled. "Is she ok, Denise?"

            Denise smiles brightly. "She's perfectly fine, Nick. Go home."

            When he walks through the door, soft music is playing. More specifically, Penelope is sitting at the piano playing. He stands at the door watching her. When she looks up, he smiles. "That's beautiful, Sweetheart."

            She stops playing and says, "Nick, we have to talk."

            She picks up a tube from the top of the piano and walks up to him. "What's wrong, Penelope."

            She smiles shyly, holding her hands behind her back. "Ask me again Nick."

            He looks completely confused.  Then it dawns on him. He drops down on one knee and puts his hands on her waist. "Penelope, will you marry me?"

            He'd been asking for six months. She kept telling him she wasn't ready. Why wasn't she ready? Her wedding gown, her DREAM wedding gown, is strapless. And the scar on her shoulder would show. She kept telling him to ask after the second surgery.

            She looks down into his face now, knowing it doesn't matter. Her dream dress isn't the necessary part of the ceremony. HE is. She smiles gently and whispers, "Yes."

            He pulls her close, placing his head on her stomach to hug her tightly. "Why now?"

            She kneels in front of him and hands him the tube. He looks down at it, turning it over in his hands. When he sees the two circles and one clearly says ‘pregnant', he pales. Looking into her eyes, he whispers, "You are?"

            She nods shyly. "Yeah. I've already cancelled the surgery. Can we...set a date?"

            He nods.  "Why Penelope?"

            She grins impishly. "If I'm going to wear my dream dress, I have to do it before I get fat."

            Nick chuckles, leaning down to capture her lips in a sultry kiss. When they part, he whispers, "You'll never be fat." Nuzzling her hair, he says, "This weekend? Hawaii?"

            She smiles brightly. "Yes! I'll call Daddy and Juliette."

            Nick smiles, "I'll let AJ and your Mom know."

            She throws her arms around his neck. "I love you Nick."

            He slides his hands down her back to her butt. "I love you too, Penelope."

 

THE END....FOR NOW

 

End Notes:

Love to know your thoughts! :)

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10996