The Frick and the Frack by Mare
Summary:

While signing group posters, Brian thinks back to his friendship with Nick when he was the Frick to his Frack. My annual Nick birthday story. :O)


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Brian, Group
Genres: Drama
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2227 Read: 1249 Published: 01/27/13 Updated: 01/27/13

1. The Frick and the Frack by Mare

The Frick and the Frack by Mare
Author's Notes:

Here is my annual birthday story. I wasn't sure if there would be one, but the idea came to me last week so I went with it. I hope you enjoy! I feel like i'm a little out of practice! lol

The Frick and the Frack

 

My neck ached and my fingers were cramping up. I hated this part of my job. It seems funny now, because it’s one thing I always fantasized about in school, what it would feel like to have someone care enough about me to want my autograph. Now when I see that huge stack of pictures or piles of Cds I just cringe.

“I hate doing this, you know.”

I nodded at Howie. “I know.”

“I wish I had a shorter name.”

“You could always just use a ‘D’ the fans would probably eat it up.”

He rolled his eyes at me and smiled, “I’ll have to remember that for next time, thanks Brian.”

“You’re welcome, anytime.”

Tapping the pen on the table, I had to laugh when I heard my cousin grunt. Guess he didn’t much miss this part of being a Backstreet Boy either.

“Uh oh, the grunting has commenced, seems like things are back to normal.”

“Shut up, AJ.”

“Sorry dude, but you sound like a suckling pig.”

“You’re weird.”

“And damn proud of it.”

I shook my head and laughed until I saw the huge stack of promotional posters still in front of me. This was going to be a long day and it was barely 9 in the morning.

“You’re oddly quiet, Nickolas”

Howie was right. Nick had barely said two words the entire time we were here. It was strange but not as out of character as it might have been a few years ago. If Nick was quiet for more than ten minutes about five years ago, we would have been checking his pulse. Things were different now, he was different now.

“I guess I just don’t have much to say, just trying to get this done.”

“We would be going a little faster if the guy at the start of the assembly line would speed things up.”

Of course Kevin was talking about me, so I gave a huge sigh and picked up the pace.

“I’m glad you sat down first.”

“I bet you are, D.” I handed him about our thousandth poster. He then passed it on to AJ, followed by Kevin and Nick was at the end of the line.

 It’s funny when we were only four, it never really mattered who sat where, but since Kevin returned we naturally found ourselves back in this formation. He used to make it his mission, back in the olden days, to keep me and Nick apart. We would fool around too much and the constant giggles used to get to him. Still to this day, I think he was just jealous of our relationship. Whatever the case, he used to make sure the Frick was never that close to the Frack.

“We’ve been bookended again.” I decided to say nice and loud. That’s what Nick used to call our separation. “Oh look, Kevin has bookended us.”

There was no reply though. Not even one single laugh or chortle or anything else. Not sure why, but that made me kind of sad. Something was on Nick’s mind. I found myself glancing down his way. He had his head down as he signed and placed the posters on the opposite end of the table.

I used to be able to tell what was wrong with him, but now I just relied on second hand information. He seldom talked to me about the serious stuff anymore. “What’s going on with Nick?” I whispered to Howie. He seemed to be the one who had the firmest relationship with the Frack these days.

“I’m not sure. Maybe it’s the birthday blues.”

Right, Nick’s birthday was only five days away. I had almost forgotten about that. Once again I found myself thinking about the past and how there was no way any of us could ever forget the kid’s birthday. He would never have allowed that. In fact he would make it his mission to count down the days to his birthday starting shortly after Christmas.

“You know how many days are left Frick?”

I would shake my head, “No, How many?”

“Fifteen! You should know that!”

“Why?”

“Because yesterday there was only sixteen like duh, it’s simple math, Brian!”

“It must be for you to be able to do it!”

That was usually followed by a sticking out of the tongue and a smile. He could never act mad for long when I was concerned.

Suddenly I felt my heart ache for our old friendship. It happened from time to time. On days when I found myself yearning for the old Frick and Frack to come back, when we would play basketball for hours on end and then sit sipping on cokes and not saying one word to each other. He used to look up to me. I was his idol; he wanted to be everything I was and more.

“What’s he doing for his birthday this year?”

“He’s going to Vegas, I believe.”

“With Lauren?”

“I think she’ll be there yes, but he’s doing some kind of promo thing for his fan club.”

“Oh.”

“Kevin and I are taking him out tomorrow. You’re welcome to join us, if you’d like.”

I nodded at Howie and bit at my bottom lip, “Nah, you guys should just do your own thing, besides I have a date with the wife tomorrow.”

He seemed slightly disappointed with my answer, but so was I.

There was a time when Nick would be incredibly jealous of my wife and would still attempt to follow me everywhere I went in the hopes that the two of us could just find the time to hang and then one day it just stopped.

Sometimes I wonder what I missed most, the friendship or the adulation.

Not to say we don’t have a bond anymore, in fact there are times when I feel like our relationship is the strongest it’s ever been. Sometimes we can click on levels of almost psychic proportions. We laugh and joke like fools one minute and then have a total conversation just using gestures and glances the next. Just the more intimate moments seem to be gone.

“There was a time you would never be able to ditch his birthday.” Howie said this as if he could read my thoughts. “Remember when he turned eighteen?” He then gave me a wink followed by the shortest of eye rolls and a laugh. How could I possibly forget that one?

The epic disaster that was Nick’s eighteenth birthday started with me explaining to him how I couldn’t back out of a prior commitment, which happened to be a date with Leighanne. I had this whole romantic weekend planned for a month, not realizing that the big party he had planned for himself fell within that same weekend. His actual birthday was a few days later but since we were heavily touring at that point, he felt the need to celebrate it beforehand. He knew about my plans but just kind of assumed he’d come first. He was wrong. I refused to cancel and promised him a night of playing basketball, video games and pizza whenever he wanted, to make up for the party no-show. It didn’t work though. He cancelled his entire party and instead spent the day sulking. I felt so guilty about it, Leigh and I ended up coming home early. I’m sure that was his intent, but even though I was home, I still refused to call him.

It took him a long time to get over it. On MY birthday we ended up celebrating his.

I laughed and shook my head at the memory. That kid just had a way to get to me.

The last real birthday celebration we had together was his nineteenth. Once again we were on the road and we spent the entire night playing video games, just the two of us. Whenever one of the other guys tried to join in, he pushed them away. He wanted quality time with HIS Brian.

“Hey! Can we keep this moving along?” I was pushed out of my thoughts by my cousin once again who sat there staring at me, tapping his pen on the desk while looking at his watch.

“Sorry…”  I tried to sound as sarcastic as possible. I didn’t do sarcasm well though. I blame the southern accent.

Nick looked up and for a minute we locked eyes. I smiled at him. He returned my smile and then continued to sign.

His 20th and 21st we also spent together but all of us did. When he tried to get me to do something with him, I pushed him away. He was starting to party a little too hard for my taste and I no longer felt comfortable going down that road with him. I wish I had realized that all he wanted to do was play basketball and video games with me. He never had an interest in getting high or doing drugs when it came to our hang time. I just assumed he would.

Who knows, maybe if I had gone out with him back then, he wouldn’t have ventured down that road, but I’m probably giving myself too much credit.

I glanced over at him again. This time he was having a conversation with Kevin. Their heads were very close and my cousin’s hand was on Nick’s back. You could tell that whatever they were talking about was serious. Kevin was doing most of the talking and Nick was nodding, but it wasn’t one of those snarky, “Yes Kev…whatever you say just please stop talking to me,” nods but more of an “I am listening to what you are telling me and I’m going to take your advice. That’s why I told you what I did in the first place,” kinds.

“What’s wrong?”

I looked at AJ, “Nothing, why?”

“You just had this look of hurt or disgust on your face. I can’t really tell which one.”

“Oh…” I was embarrassed by my reaction. I had no right to feel as slighted as I did just then, but it did hurt, for whatever reason. “I’m okay, just getting a little headache.”

“I have aspirin, bro. Just say the word.”

“Thanks.”

This time, when I looked over at Nick, he was staring at me. When I caught his eyes, he quickly glanced down. Maybe he wanted to open up to me but I wasn’t giving him the opportunity. That’s when I decided to clear my schedule for the night. I was supposed to go to a Wylee thing with Leighanne and then we would grab Bay and head out for pizza and a movie. I’m sure she could go to this thing without me and Bay would understand.

Just thinking about it made me smile; a good old fashioned night out with Nick. The Frick and the Frack would be back. Maybe we could go play laser tag or something ridiculous like that. Or maybe Go-Carts, pizza and then rent a stupid movie, something to laugh at and reminisce or maybe we could even play video games. God, I haven’t played a video game with him in forever. After all of that, we’d sit in the dark I’m sure and he’d tell me what’s bothering him. He would only confide in me in the dark, so this way I couldn’t see his tears.

I couldn’t wait to see his face when I told him I was his for the night. Hopefully that would cheer him up.

We spent about another hour at that stupid table signing those posters. When I finally got to the last one, I decided to give it a kiss. I cracked my knuckles and stretched.

“My butt fell asleep.” AJ decided to share with the class as he stood up.

Everyone else was slowly getting up from the table, Nick lingering behind and rubbing at his neck. I decided to take that as an opportunity to let him know my plans. I walked over and sat down beside him, “Hey you.”

“Hey.”

“So, I was thinking that you and I could do something fun tonight. I’d like to take you out for your birthday. Go Carts, a movie, pizza? Whatever you want, we haven’t done anything like that in a long time.”

He looked at me and smiled. He seemed surprised, “Really?”

“Yeah, just like old times, what do ya say?” I leaned in, gently pushing him and placed my head on his shoulder.

He laughed as he pulled away.

“Brian thanks, that would’ve been awesome but I kind of have plans already.”

“Oh…okay.” I smiled, trying not to look as disappointed as I felt.

“Maybe when you get back from Vegas then,” I said as I gently ruffled his hair.

“Maybe…” He answered just as he looked down at his phone. “It’s Lauren, I gotta take this. See ya later, Bro.” He stood up and walked away before I even had the chance to answer him.

“Later…” I felt the need to answer anyway.

To answer my own question… it was definitely the friendship I missed the most, and it was also clear to me as I watched him walk away, I missed it much more than he did.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

End Notes:

Thanks for reading! I miss all of you! :O)

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11058