Behind The Mask by CarterFan28
Summary:

Heather was just an ordinary girl who stood out in the crowd. Nick was the Backstreet Boy who noticed her and wanted to get to know her better. Rich was her best friend who vanished from her life and unexpectedly reappeared. Now both Nick and Rich are fighting for Heather’s heart. Who will win? The best friend she thought she lost forever or the Backstreet Boy she was falling hard and fast for?


Categories: Original Fiction, Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick, Other
Genres: Romance
Warnings: Death, Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 24 Completed: Yes Word count: 65737 Read: 38282 Published: 04/08/13 Updated: 06/06/13

1. Chapter 1 by CarterFan28

2. Chapter 2 by CarterFan28

3. Chapter 3 by CarterFan28

4. Chapter 4 by CarterFan28

5. Chapter 5 by CarterFan28

6. Chapter 6 by CarterFan28

7. Chapter 7 by CarterFan28

8. Chapter 8 by CarterFan28

9. Chapter 9 by CarterFan28

10. Chapter 10 by CarterFan28

11. Chapter 11 by CarterFan28

12. Chapter 12 by CarterFan28

13. Chapter 13 by CarterFan28

14. Chapter 14 by CarterFan28

15. Chapter 15 by CarterFan28

16. Chapter 16 by CarterFan28

17. Chapter 17 by CarterFan28

18. Chapter 18 by CarterFan28

19. Chapter 19 by CarterFan28

20. Chapter 20 by CarterFan28

21. Chapter 21 by CarterFan28

22. Chapter 22 by CarterFan28

23. Chapter 23 by CarterFan28

24. Chapter 24 by CarterFan28

Chapter 1 by CarterFan28

Chapter 1

            “I just got my ticket in the mail!” Jess exclaimed over the phone to her best friend Heather.

            “I just got mine too! You’re VIP came with it right?” Heather asked as she admired her VIP pass.

            “Yes it did!  I can’t believe we finally got VIP tickets!”         

            “I know! It only took what 17 years of being loyal fans and god knows how many jobs between the three of us.”

            “I still can’t believe we finally have them though. I wonder if the other half of Heather Squared got her ticket too.”

            “I haven’t talked to her yet but if we both got ours I’m pretty sure she got hers too.”

            “Well I have to go but I can’t wait for the next two weeks!”

            “Neither can I Jess! It’s going to be awesome!”

            “Just like all the other concerts!” Jess laughed.

            Heather chuckled, “Yeah but this time we get to go to the sound check party and actually meet the Backstreet Boys!”

            “AHHH! This is so exciting! Oh yeah before I forget thanks so much for buying the tickets. I promise I will give you the money the moment I see you.”

            “Jess chill. I trust you. And you always gave me the money for every other concert so whenever I get the money I get it.”

            “Ok Heather. I’ll talk to you later and if not I’ll see you tomorrow!”

            “Bye Jess.”

            Once she hung up the phone she dialed her other best friend Heather, yes there are in fact two Heathers.

            “Hey Hermie!” the other Heather said.

            “Hey Kelshie!”

            The Heathers created those nicknames for each other a long time ago. The nicknames were simple to create too; all they did was add “ie” to their last names. They started calling themselves “Hermie” and “Kelshie” and the names stuck. Soon their friends were calling them that too. Even Jess called them that but she invented the nickname “Heather Squared” back in the 7th grade when all three of the best friends were in the same math class. The Heathers were both shocked when Jess said “Hermie” and “Kelshie” for the first time. They never thought she would use the new nicknames because she always said “Heather Squared”.

            “What’s up?” Kelshie asked.

            “The sky.”       

            “Hey that’s my generic answer!” Kelshie joked.

            “Yeah I know I’ve heard you say that every time I ask you that question. Did you get your ticket yet?”

            “I just walked in the door from work but let me check the mail now.”

            The line went silent for a moment then Kelshie came back exclaiming, “It’s here! And my VIP is here too!”

             “Awesome! Jess and I both got ours too!”

            “This is too exciting!”

            “I know I can’t wait!”

            “What time will you be at my house do you think?”

            “Well,” Hermie started, “I have to go to work for a few hours, then the Puppies have a vet appointment, then I have to pick up Melina from the airport. It’s a Thursday night so the traffic shouldn’t be too bad right?”

            “No it shouldn’t be bad at all. It really gets bad on Friday and Saturday.”  

            “Ok then I’ll leave around 8 and should be there by 9:30 or 10. Oh can I bring the Puppies with me? I kind of forgot to find a puppy sitter.”

            “Duh!” Kelshie replied, “I love the Puppies and they are always welcome!”

            “Ok then I better pack their stuff too. Speaking of the Puppies they are staring me down so it must be dinner time. I’ll see you tomorrow!”

            “See ya tomorrow Hermie! I can’t wait!”

            “Me neither! Later Kelshie.”

            “Later.”

            Heather hung up the phone and looked down at her German shepherd Shep, huskey Lacey, and beagle Hunter.

            “I know, I know you guys are hungry.”

            Heather fixed the dogs dinners and they wagged their tails happily as they ate. She always fed her dogs before she fed herself and once her dogs were fed she started her own dinner.

            After she finished eating Heather sat down and packed her bags for her 1 week mini vacation. Heather and her two best friends had this ongoing tradition that evolved around the numerous concerts they went too. They all lived and grew up in the same small town in northern New Jersey but Kelshie’s and Jess’s families owned vacation houses down the shore which they occupied all summer. Hermie was the only one who never owned a shore house. She didn’t care too much for the shore. She thought it was a fun place to visit but she couldn’t see herself living down there even for a summer.

            Almost every year the three best friends went to a concert together and spent a good week or two together before and after the concert. This tradition was perfect for when they were in school because the concerts would always be during the summer so Hermie would go down the shore for a week or so then depending on where the concert was, the three friends would go back up North to their hometown. The only changes in this year’s plan were Kelshie and Jess finally bought their own shore houses that became their year round residencies and Hermie’s friend Melina, from Germany, was becoming the fourth member of the Backstreet Buds. This year’s concert was in New York City so the plan was to stay down the shore for one week then one week in Northern Jersey finishing off the week with the concert.

            After Heather finished packing her bags and getting her work clothes ready for the morning she took a relaxing shower and changed into her comfy pajamas. She crawled into bed and flipped on VH1 just in time to watch the last hour of 100 Greatest Songs of the ‘90’s. As always the Puppies jumped up on the bed and nestled into their normal sleeping spots. Hunter, the beagle, nestled down on her pillow above Heather’s head. Lacey, the husky, curled up against Heather’s back resting her head on her owner’s ribs while Shep, the German shepherd, laid across the foot of the bed. All three dogs had big bean bags of their own but why should they sleep on a plush bean bag when they could crowd their owner in her queen sized bed? Heather didn’t mind the Puppies sleeping with her but they always hogged the bed.         

            Heather found herself singing along with a lot of the songs in the count down. She also smiled at the memories that came back to her from middle and high school. Then she became ecstatic when the number three song started to play.

            “No it can’t be,” she thought out loud to herself. “That can’t be number three?!”

            The show’s announcer said answering Heather’s question, “And at number three, I Want It That Way.”

            “Ah! That’s so cool! I have to text Jess and Kelshie!”

            Heather grabbed her cell phone and was about to start a text but Jess called her, “Awesome victory for BSB and us fans watching VH1 right now! Number three baby! Haha we beat out Britney Spears and NSYNC!”

            Heather replied, “I’m so ecstatic right now! You should have seen the Puppies jump up when I screamed! Is Kelshie watching the show?”

            “We’re watching it together and we both screamed! If we’re this excited about them getting number three on Greatest Songs of the 90’s, can you imagine how excited we’ll be while we’re waiting on line to meet them?”

            “No I can’t actually. We’re going to look like crazy people though!”

            “We are crazy people!” Jess laughed out.

            Heather laughed too, “You got that right! Maybe this concert will be the one where they have to call security on us!”

            “Haha! Yeah there’s a more likely chance of that happening now that we’re going to finally meet them!”

            “Oh this is going to be something else. I think Kelshie is going to be the only semi sane one with us.”     

            “That’s a scary thought,” Kelshie spoke into the speaker, “Me semi sane!”

            The three best friends cracked up. That’s what Heather loved most about her two best friends; they knew how to make her laugh and they were both crazy!

            “We’ll have to celebrate BSB’s victory tomorrow over ice cream and other junk foods but now I’m going to watch the rest of the show then I’m heading off to bed.”

            “Good night Hermie! See ya tomorrow!” Kelshie and Jess said in unison.

            “Good night Backstreet Buds.”

            After the show ended Heather slipped her diary and pen out from underneath her pillow. She always wrote in her purple diary, which she named Violet or Vi for short, right before she went to sleep. This was her own little ritual she started on the first day of summer vacation before starting her freshman year of high school. She wrote religiously every day since then, even throughout college and when she had nothing to report.

            “Dear Vi,

            VICTORY FOR BSB AND THEIR FANS ONCE AGAIN! I Want It That Way just got number three on VH1’s 100 Greatest Songs of the 90’s! Number three! I’m so excited right now!  And my day went really well! First at work I had adoption after adoption which was awesome because a lot of the older ones found forever homes today. Then when I got home and checked the mail Melina and my tickets were waiting for me! Now it seems real and it’s finally hitting me that my Backstreet Buds and I are actually going to meet the Boys! I don’t have a lot of time to write tonight because I have a busy day tomorrow and nothing else to report. I’ll most likely be writing pages during the next couple of weeks especially spending the much needed time with Kelshie, Jess and Melina. Hopefully I’ll have more adoptions at work in the morning and I won’t have to wait long for the vet either. I’m also keeping my fingers crossed that Melina’s plane will be on time. I don’t know how I’m going to fall sleep tonight because I’m so excited. Oh wait I know how I’m going to fall asleep tonight; with a big smile on my face! It’ll be awesome if I have a kiss ass dream tonight too!

            Anyways I’ll write more later. HMH.”

            Heather slipped the purple diary back under her pillow then turned off the lights and TV. She snuggled under her blankets and did in fact fall asleep with a huge smile on her face. 

Chapter 2 by CarterFan28

Chapter 2

            The next morning Heather woke up to her normal routine. She pushed back the covers and slammed her alarm clock off. The dogs followed her down stairs and she fed them breakfast then she fed herself. After they finished eating and Heather dressed herself, she clipped on the dogs’ leashes and they headed out for their usual half hour walk. When they got back Heather changed into her work clothes then she and the dogs hopped into her car to head to work.

            She pulled into the animal shelter’s parking lot about 15 minutes later. The Puppies followed her into the shelter and greeted the other workers as their owner did too.

Heather’s first task of the day was to feed the dogs and cats she was assigned to. The last three dogs she fed where her favorites. The first one was an older Basset Hound named Ebenezer. He was gray around his muzzle and was getting up in years but he had a lot of energy for an older dog and he loved to play fetch and run around with the other dogs. The second one was Tuffy. She was a medium sized pit bull mix that was as sweet as sugar. She loved people and other animals and didn’t have a mean bone in her body. Heather fell in love with her from the moment she first saw the all white dog with one blue eye and the other one green. And last but not least Heather took care of a very young Doberman pinscher puppy who she nicknamed Pinch. Heather had never seen a Doberman pinscher like him before; he was a silvery gray color with tan paws. He was rescued from a puppy mill and Heather worked very hard with him. She even trained him a few basic commands and even house trained him. Heather had soft spots in her heart for Ebenezer and Tuffy too because they had been at the shelter the longest. They were rescued from a hoarder where they lived in horrible conditions and were neglected. Heather became attached to these three dogs and vowed that if any of them didn’t find loving homes she would adopt them herself. She was relieved she worked at a no-kill shelter because she’d hate to see such loving dogs go to waste.

“I hope you guys get good homes today,” she said after feeding them. Ebenezer was leaning against his cage door and Heather rubbed his head before heading back to the main lobby. Ebenezer always had to be patted before he ate.

            Heather did over see some adoptions that day but they were mostly cats and kittens that got forever homes. She was starting to think that her three favorite dogs were going to go home with her after all. The shift change came quickly for her as she collected her dogs and packed them into the car. Before she started the car she dashed back into the shelter. She had to see her three favorites before she left.

            “Bye guys! I’m going to miss you,” she patted each of her three favorites before walking back to her car.

            “Heather, have a good time down the shore!” she turned around to see her friend Rose wave to her from behind the counter.

            “Thanks! Oh can I ask you a favor Rose?”

            “I already said that I would take over your row for you.”

            “No I knew that I was going to ask if you could call me if anything happens to my favs.”

            “Oh of course. And I’ll call you before I let them get adopted too.”

            “Thanks Rose. I’ll see ya when I get back.”

            “See ya.”

            Heather hopped back in her car and drove off to the vet’s office. The appointment went smoothly being a normal checkup and Heather and the Puppies were out in no time. She made her way home and dropped off the Puppies. Before she ran back out to the car she grabbed a sign she had made a few days prior and her CD bag then sprinted out of the house.

            On her way to the airport she kept her calm as she sang along to the songs she knew on the radio even though she was overly excited to see her “blood sister” from Germany.

            She parked her car then grabbed her home made “welcome” sign as she headed for the pickup area. Heather was nearly shaking with excitement as the passengers started to depart the plane that journeyed from Germany to Newark Airport.

            “I hope she’ll find me quickly! Although I don’t think she can miss me!” Heather said in her head. “I can’t wait to see Melina!”

            As Heather looked at the different faces coming off the plane she heard a familiar German voice call out, “Is that my American blood sister I see holding a sign with my name on it?!”

            “Is that my German blood sister Melina?!”

            “AHH IT IS! HEATHER!”

            “MELINA!”

            The girls rushed toward each other and gave each other an excited hug.

            “Oh it’s so good to see you again!” Heather exclaimed.

            “I know! Oh I’m so excited to finally be in America!”

            Heather and Melina met about two years ago on the Backstreet fanclub when they started talking to each other randomly. They soon found out that they had a lot in common besides being BSB fans. Their conversations continued on facebook then later on a web cam and soon they were making plans to meet face to face. They started calling each other “blood sisters” because of how much they had in common. Heather flew out to Germany a year after their first on line conversation to meet her “blood sister” face to face and spend two weeks with her. They even went to one of BSB’s concerts during the Unbreakable tour while Heather stayed in Germany. Now it was Melina’s turn to visit her “blood sister”.

            “You look so good Heather! And you lost weight am I right?”

            “Yes I did. Thanks for noticing. You look amazing too!”

            “Thank you. I love the sign you made for me!”

            “Well it’s just my way of saying welcome to the USA. And it’s yours to keep.”

            “Awe thank you! I love this picture of the two of us,” Melina smiled at the picture posted on the sign. It was of her and Heather waiting to get into the Unbreakable concert.

            “I do too!”

            “I didn’t realize this but we have the same hair and eye color,” Melina commented studying the picture. “We look alike!”

            “Maybe we are sisters after all!” Heather laughed then Melina joined in.

            “So what is my first adventure in America?”

            “Well first we have to get your bags from luggage claim.”

            “No we don’t, all of my bags were with me on the plane.”

            “Oh then your first adventure will be getting out of this crowded airport and find where I parked my car.”

            Melina giggled, “That sounds like fun.”

            “I promise we’ll have more fun than just finding my car. Oh by the way do you like dogs?”

            “I love dogs!”

            “Good because I have three at home.”

            “I know. I saw your pictures on facebook remember?”

            “Oh yeah I forgot about that.”

            Heather showed Melina to her car and once they hit the road Melina couldn’t stop looking out the window.

            “I’m telling you right now there are prettier places to see in New Jersey.”

            “But still,” Melina started as she continued to marvel out the window, “I’m in New Jersey!”

            About a half hour later Heather showed Melina into her house and she was greeted excitedly by Hunter first, then Lacey and finally Shep cautiously sniffed Melina’s hand then wagged his tail and gave her a doggy smile.

            “Your dogs are even cuter in person!” Melina wore a huge grin on her face as she petted the Puppies and they kissed her hands and face.

            “They’re really good dogs. You’ll probably fall in love with them by the first week of your visit.”

            “Oh I already love them!”

            Heather chuckled then asked, “What would you like for dinner?”

            “I have been wanting your macaroni and cheese ever since I bought the plane tickets.”  

            “Alright then mac and cheese it is. Here let me show you into the living room and show you how to turn on the TV. You can watch whatever you want while I make dinner.”

            Once Heather finished cooking she set up the TV tables and dished out healthy portions of the macaroni and cheese. After dinner they had enough time for each girl to take showers before they packed up the car. At exactly eight o’clock Heather rolled out the drive way and headed South.

            “Ok I think we’ve heard this song for the third time now,” Heather commented when she got tired of listening to the radio. “Did you bring the first Backstreet Boys CD?”

            “Yes I did!” Melina pulled it out of her bag and loaded it in the CD player. “I also brought three copies for you and your two friends.”

            “Oh thank you! You didn’t have to do that.”

            “Yes I did. I know that you guys don’t have the very first CD and now your collection is complete.”

            “Awe thank you so much! You don’t know how hard I have been looking for this CD.”

            “I know. It’s rare even in Germany.”

            “Wow I thought it would be more available over by you.”

            “No actually the Chapter Hits is the most available.”

            “It’s the same here actually.”

            Melina started singing along with the CD. Heather didn’t remember much of the very first BSB album because she never heard it before until she met Melina in Germany. So instead of singing along she listened to Melina sing. She smiled as she remembered singing with Melina before and after the Unbreakable show.

            “What are you smiling at?” Melina asked when she noticed the huge grin on Heather’s face.

            “I’m just remembering how much fun we had singing together,” Heather replied. “You have such a pretty voice! I missed it!”

            “Awe thank you! And I was hoping that you would remember these songs because I miss your voice! You’re better than I am.”

            “No I am not!” Heather protested. “You are the one with the better voice.”

            “If you say so. But I really want to hear you sing again.”

            “Don’t worry sis. I’ll sing once we listen to something I know by heart.” Heather smiled at her “blood sister” and Melina smiled back then continued singing.

            At exactly 9:30 Heather and Melina pulled into the other Heather’s drive way.

            Heather just got out of the driver’s seat when she was ambushed from her side.

            “You’re finally here! I missed you so much Hermie!”

            Heather looked down at the other Heather who was gripping her best friend’s side tightly.

            “I missed you too Kelshie! I’m way too excited!” Hermie exclaimed. Once they hugged regularly Hermie placed her arm around Kelshie’s shoulders and guided her around the car, “Melina this is Heather. Heather this is Melina.”

            “It’s nice to meet you Heather but it’s going to be confusing to tell the difference between the two Heathers,” Melina shook Kelshie’s hand.

            “Oh there’s a simple solution to that problem. You can call me Kelshie and her Hermie,” Kelshie said kindly.

            Melina laughed lightly, “That will work for me.”

            “You brought the Puppies right?” Kelshie asked Hermie.

            Hermie opened the car door and the Puppies jumped out and rushed at Kelshie.

            “Hi Puppies!” Kelshie squealed. Kelshie was probably the biggest animal lover Hermie knew. The dogs knew Kelshie was an animal lover and they got so excited when they saw her. She also spoiled them with little treats so they were expecting the treats.

            “Come on inside,” Kelshie picked up Hunter and started to lead Hermie and Melina into the house, Lacy and Shep followed. “Jess is waiting inside for you. And she’s very excited to meet you Melina and so am I. It’s always good to meet other BSB fans.”

            “And I’m very excited to meet the both of you too. I’m so happy to be in America.”

            “Well we are happy to have you here.”

            “Guess whose here Jess!” Kelshie announced when the three girls stepped into the living room.

            “Hermie!” Jess screamed and ran out of the kitchen toward her best friend.

            “Jess!” Hermie screamed back and embraced Jess then introduced her to Melina.

            “Welcome to New Jersey Melina. I hope you like it here,” Jess said after shaking Melina’s hand.

            Melina smiled, “I already like it here and I’m very glad to finally meet you and Kelshie. Heather has told me a lot about you."

            “So you know we’re crazy?” Kelshie asked.

            Melina didn’t know how to reply so she looked at Hermie.

            She chuckled, “Yes she knows we are all crazy but she doesn’t believe me.”

            “Oh honey,” Jess placed a hand on Melina’s shoulder, “once you spend one night with us you’ll believe Hermie. It only takes one night to figure out the three of us.”

            “You guys sound like a lot of fun,” Melina grinned widely.

            “We are!” both Heather’s answered together.

            “Did you guys have dinner?” Kelshie asked. “I made pierogies.”

            “Did you leave any for us? I know how many pierogies you can eat in one setting,” Hermie raised an eyebrow at the hostess.

            “I cooked two big bags this time so there is more than enough for the both of you. I was good this time,” Kelshie stuck her tongue out. Kelshie was known for eating 20 pierogies during one dinner. Hermie’s record was 6 and a salad.

            “Haha you were good for once. But we already had dinner before we left, unless you’re hungry now Melina?”

            “No I’m full thank you.”

            “Ok then, let me give you a tour of the house and then we’ll get your bags from the car,” Kelshie said.

            “I’ll finish the cake,” Jess commented.

            “Cake?” Hermie questioned.

            “We are celebrating BSB’s victory yesterday,” Jess replied.

            Melina looked confused, “BSB’s victory?”        

            Hermie cleared the air for her, “I Want It That Way got number three on a countdown of 100 greatest songs from the 90’s.”

            “Really?! That’s awesome!”

            “And I baked a cake to celebrate,” Jess added. “Plus I have been craving cake lately.”

            Kelshie gave Hermie and Melina a quick tour of her new shore house then helped them bring in their bags as Jess decorated the cake. Baking was Jess’s specialty. She always made cookies or cupcakes for her best friends’ birthdays or just for fun. She was also very artistic and her decorating skills were unmatched.

            After Melina and Hermie changed into their pajamas, the four girls sat down to tall glasses of milk, big pieces of cake and a movie in Kelshie’s dream movie room. Kelshie was a movie fanatic and she always dreamed of having a room specifically for movies with few windows and plenty of space for all of her movies. This movie room looked like a mini theater with beanbag chairs, couches, and comfy armchairs.

            As the movie started to end Hermie’s eye lids were becoming heavy so she pulled her purple diary out of her bag and started writing:

            “Dear Violet,

            I can’t believe how excited Melina is to be here in America! I wasn’t even as excited as she is now to meet her in Germany. She can’t stop smiling and already is starting to bond with Jess and Kelshie and it’s just the first day! I’ll bet money that by the end of our concert experience they’ll become quick best friends with her like I have. Then she’ll have three American blood sisters instead of just one! Jess made one of her famous chocolate cakes to celebrate BSB’s victory on Greatest 90’s Songs. As always the cake was delicious! Melina couldn’t believe Jess’s baking skills and said it was one of the best she has ever tasted. Now we’re watching a movie, yeah I know we are all at Kelshie’s house, watching numerous movies come with the territory. Melina and I are so tired right now! Kelshie told Melina that if she falls asleep during a movie she’s going to wake up with silly string on her face. Kelshie always jokes around with her guests like that. I reassured Melina that Kelshie didn’t even know how to use a can of silly string. I thought Jess was going to fall off the couch because she was laughing so hard and Kelshie’s face went red as she whacked me with a pillow. But seriously Kelshie would let Melina off the hook until she gets used to our time schedule. Actually she is having an easier time with staying awake then I am. My eyelids feel like they are made of lead so I am going to end my entry here before I fall asleep.

            I’ll write more later, HMH. Two weeks til the concert!” 

Chapter 3 by CarterFan28

Chapter 3

            The next morning Heather was the first to wake up so she could walk her dogs. Melina had asked her to wake her up so she could walk too but Heather left the house without her so she could catch up on her sleep. She and the dogs were gone for a good half hour. She took her time enjoying the cool morning. The Puppies were enjoying it too. They loved visiting “Aunt Kelshie” and the shore because of all the new smells and sights to see on their morning and night walks.

            When Heather got back to the house she fed the Puppies then went back downstairs into the movie room. Everyone was still asleep but Heather wasn’t surprised at all; Jess and Kelshie were the queens of staying up late and sleeping in. They wouldn’t be moving for another two hours and Melina needed her sleep. So Heather decided to flop on the big, fluffy, purple beanbag she fell asleep on the night prior.

            “Yes! I can actually go back to sleep after taking the dogs out!” Heather thought to herself. “I haven’t been able to do that since… wow I don’t even remember. Oh well I’ll be able to sleep in for the next two weeks!”

            About two and a half hours later Heather’s friends started to wake up one by one.

            The first to wake up was Melina and when she found out the dogs had already been taken out she pouted, “I really wanted to take a walk with you to see the neighborhood.”

            “I’ll wake you up tomorrow so you can walk with us. You needed your sleep and you’ll be here for a while so there will be plenty of mornings.”

            “I’ll tell you what,” Kelshie said yawning and stretching, “We’ll take a ride around town and all over today to take you sightseeing.”

            “That sounds like a good plan. Can we go to the beach?” Melina asked excitedly, “I’m really looking forward to getting a Jersey shore tan!”

            The two Heathers and Jess laughed.

            “It will be crowded but we can go today if you’d like,” Kelshie said.

            “Didn’t they just open up that new town pool you guys were telling me about?” Heather asked.

            “Oh yeah I forgot about that pool,” Jess replied. “That will probably be less crowded than the beach.”

            “Yeah usually Sundays and weekdays are the better days to go to the beach because all the people from up North go back home,” Kelshie informed Melina.

            “Ok. So if the beach is crowded we’ll go some other day,” Melina commented.

            “Sounds good to me,” Heather added in. “So what’s for breakfast?”

            After the girls took showers and finished their breakfast they packed Kelshie’s car with snacks and drinks to show Melina around town. Kelshie drove everywhere and Jess became the perfect tour guide explaining all the different hot spots and land marks and Melina was awed by all the new sights. For lunch they stopped at a local dinner were everyone they knew hung out. The two Heathers and Jess had been going there ever since they were little and everyone who owned shore houses or just visited the shore over the summer knew about this little diner. While they were eating Heather recognized a few familiar faces of some old high school friends and people from her hometown.

            “Kelshie we have to take Melina to the Big Dipper!” Heather said smiling at her best friend.

            “How did I know you were going to say that?” Kelshie joked.

            “What’s the Big Dipper?” Melina questioned.

            “It’s the best place to get ice cream down here!” Heather exclaimed.

            “It’s pretty much the only place where you can get good homemade ice cream,” Jess informed. “This place has good desserts too but now that Hermie mentioned the Big Dipper I’m craving ice cream!”     

            “You don’t have to convince me to go to the Big Dipper,” Kelshie chuckled. “Let’s go!”

            Heather and Jess got their usual mint chocolate chip. Kelshie bought her favorite vanilla peanut butter and Melina got orange sorbet. They sat at one of the outside tables as they ate their ice cream and enjoyed the gorgeous, sunny day. After they finished they drove around for a little longer until Kelshie’s car actually started running low on gas. They headed back to the house just in time to catch the mail man.

            “Hey look I got something from Groundctrl!” Kelshie exclaimed flipping through her mail.

            “I wonder what that could be,” Jess commented as she headed into the kitchen. “I’ll start dinner while you guys set the table.”

            “Ok,” Heather said and showed Melina where the plates and utensils were. Just as Jess got into the swing of cooking and Heather and Melina were almost finished with setting the table Kelshie screamed.

            The other girls jumped and dropped what they were doing. They rushed into the living room where Kelshie was looking at a letter with her jaw wide open.

            “Kelshie what’s with the dropped jaw?” Heather questioned.

            “You guys are never going to believe this!”

            “Believe what?” Jess asked.

            “Just read the letter,” Kelshie pushed the piece of paper toward Jess.

            Jess read aloud, “The Backstreet Team is happy to announce that you and the rest of the CarterFan28 party of four have won invitations to the BSB After Party on August 26th, 2010, following the concert in The Manhattan Center in New York City. You will get to spend the rest of the night dancing with and getting to know the Backstreet Boys themselves and other lucky fans. Also the Boys are hosting a search for New York’s Best BSB cover singers- a glorified and fun Backstreet Karaoke challenge. Please RSVP to the After Party by August 23rd by signing up on the Backstreet Fanclub. Also please be aware that this After Party is a Masquerade and there will be a best mask contest. So dress to impress and don’t forget your masks! See ya on August 26th. Signed the Backstreet Team.”

            The four girls looked at each other then started jumping up and down together as they screamed!  

            “THIS IS AWESOME!” Heather exclaimed, “First we can all finally afford VIP tickets and now we got invited to the After Party!”

            “This is way too good to be true!” Kelshie screamed.

            “This is definitely the best trip to America!” Melina clasped her hands together excitedly.  

            The girls laughed then Jess came to a very important realization.

            “What are we going to wear?” she asked after jumping around. This question caused the other girls to cease jumping as well.

            “Oh damn,” Heather commented, “What are we going to wear?”

            “Well we have thirteen days to figure it out. It’s supposed to rain this weekend so we can go shopping then,” Kelshie suggested.

            “That sounds good to me,” Heather chipped in.

            “But maybe we should RSVP on the fanclub now,” Melina suggested.

            “Yeah that’s a good idea,” Jess agreed.

            “Ok I’ll RSVP now. Kelshie can I use your computer to do that?” Heather asked.

            “Yeah go right ahead. Oh by the way all three of you can use it whenever you want to,” Kelshie offered.

            Heather logged into her Backstreet fanclub account and after reading the private message about the after party, registered herself and three best friends.

            After dinner and a movie the girls started falling asleep, a little later than the night before. And as usual Heather wrote down the events of the day in her diary.

            The next day the girls woke up together and took the dogs out for a walk. Afterward they set out to go to the local zoo to show Melina some of America’s wildlife. On the way home the girls hit traffic due to a many car pileup.

            “Alright which BSB CD do you guys want to listen to?” Kelshie asked when she pulled her ipod out of her pocket and handed it to Jess who was riding shotgun.

            “I haven’t listened to Unbreakable in a while,” Jess commented.

            “Me neither actually,” Heather said. “What CD do you want to listen to Melina?”

            “It doesn’t matter to me. I love them all.”

            “Fine then since it’s my ipod and we are in my car I say we listen to Unbreakable,” Kelshie added.

            “Unbreakable it is then,” Jess plugged in Kelshie’s ipod to the connecter and started Unbreakable.

            The girls started singing along with the songs and Heather listened intently to her friends. An idea popped into her head but she decided to listen to more songs before making her idea known.

            After Panic played Heather asked Jess to pause the CD before You Can Let Go started playing.

            “What’s the matter Hermie?” Kelshie questioned.

            “I have an idea,” she replied.

            “Uh oh. Here we go,” Jess said sarcastically.

            “Shut up!” Heather retaliated. “I’ve been thinking about the Backstreet Karaoke Challenge and I wanted to ask the three of you, do you want to do that?”

            “I love to sing! I’ll do it if you want to sis,” Melina answered.

            “I’ll do it,” Kelshie said.

            “I’ll do it too but I can’t sing,” Jess said hesitantly.

            “What are you talking about?!”Heather exclaimed. “You have been in choir with me ever since the 6th grade! You are a singer!”

            “No I’m not! You are the singer out of the three of us!” Jess argued. “I suck at singing. Kelshie’s better than I am.”

            “Jess,” Heather sighed, “how many times have I told you this? You, me and Kelshie are all equally talented singers! We carried the enter alto section for crying out loud! We could have even been leading sopranos but the only reason why our choir director didn’t move us was because we were the strongest altos.”

            It’s true. Heather, Jess and Kelshie all sang beautifully. They had joined their school choir when they were in the 6th grade and continued to sing for the choir until they graduated. The three best friends were all altos who could hit the high notes when they needed to. They technically could have been sopranos but they were needed to carry the lack luster alto section. Heather was often jealous of Jess and Kelshie because they could hit higher notes easier than she could most times.

            “Jess, I really like your voice,” Melina spoke up. “You have a beautiful voice.”

            Jess blushed, “You really think so?”

            She turned in her seat and Melina nodded her head and smiled, “I love it! And you are really good at hitting hit notes.”

            “Awe thanks. Ok I’ll do it.”

            Heather’s jaw dropped as she looked at Melina, “You have just done the impossible my sister.”

            “What’s that?”

            “You just made Jess believe in her singing voice! You don’t know how long I have been trying to tell her that she has a good voice!”

            Everyone cracked up. As the laughter died down Kelshie spoke up, “So Hermie what were you saying about your idea?”

            “Well remember how we would sing together when we were younger? Each of us would cover a certain Boy’s part of the song? And then we would come together during the choruses and make a three part harmony?”

            “Yeah! I miss doing that,” Kelshie smiled reflecting on the simpler times as she and her friends called it.

            “Well how about we do that for the Backstreet Challenge. But this time we’ll have Melina singing with us.”

            “I like it!” Jess exclaimed.

            “I do too,” Melina added.

            “We could sing something from either Unbreakable or This Is Us so nobody’s doubling up on parts and everyone has an equal amount to sing.”

            “So who’s going to cover which Boy?” Kelshie asked.

            “I was listening to you guys and I would say that you sound the most like Howie Kelshie. Besides you are the best at high notes. Jess you sound like Brian. Melina you have a rich powerful voice like AJ,” Heather said.

            “And of course you get Nick,” Jess commented.

            “Of course!” Heather laughed.

            “I’m guessing Nick is all yours huh sis?” Melina questioned.

            Heather nodded her head excitedly.

            Kelshie chuckled, “Yeah there is no fighting Hermie over Nick because there is no way your gunna get anywhere close to him. She’s had her grip on him the moment she first saw him.”           

            “No Kelshie it was the moment she first heard him sing on the radio!” Jess corrected.

            Heather smiled and sighed out, “Ahh I’ll never forget that day. It was the three of us squashed into the backseat of my mom’s car and my older sister Stephanie was in the passenger seat. Steph just changed the radio station and on comes As Long As You Love Me our first ever BSB song.”

            “Yeah and I can clearly remember you saying when you heard Nick’s voice “Damn he sounds hot! I’m claiming him.” She didn’t even see the guy and she claimed him! And ever since then Nick has been Hermie’s. Melina you have no chance honey,” Jess informed.

            Heather started laughing uncontrollably.

            “Hermie what’s so funny?” Kelshie asked as she started to giggle herself.

            Heather stopped laughing enough to say, “Jess’s impression of me! It was hysterical!”

            Again the car was filled with laughs. After the laughter subsided Heather brought up her idea for the Backstreet Challenge again.

            “So what do you guys think about the four of us singing like BSB?”

            “I like your idea,” Kelshie said. “What song are we going to sing?”

            “That I don’t know yet.”

            “Well let’s just keep listening to this CD. Kelshie you’ll cover Howie, I’ll take Brian, thank you for that Hermie, and Melina you’ll cover AJ’s parts. Let’s see how it goes and what song is best for us,” Jess reasoned.

            She hit the play button and You Can Let Go sounded through the speakers. They stuck to Heather’s plan and she was excited to hear their four voices mesh beautifully together. 

            The CD ended just as Kelshie pulled into her drive way.

            “So what song do you think we should do sis?” Melina asked.

            “To be honest I don’t know yet. We have enough time to figure it out so I’m not too worried about it.”    

            Sticking to their new routine of eating dinner then watching movies until they fell asleep, they settled down to watch Music and Lyrics. During the movie Heather pulled out Violet from her bag.

            “Dear Vi,

            Today we went to the zoo and enjoyed the gorgeous day. It wasn’t too hot and there was a nice breeze. We got lunch there and each of us got another water bottle shaped like different animals to add to our collections. On the way home we got stuck in traffic and I proposed my idea about the Backstreet Challenge. They all agreed on it. I knew they would. And I’m glad they are ok with who they are covering. And my master plan worked! Melina and I didn’t have to fight over Nick! Ha ha! Now all we have to figure out is which song we’re going to sing. I’m thinking about Unmistakable. We all love that song and the harmonies are pretty easy to master but sound amazing. I just have to make sure I can get through it without thinking about him.

            I’m starting to nod off here so I’ll write more later. HMH”

Chapter 4 by CarterFan28

            The girls woke up to a rainy Saturday morning.

            Heather rolled off the bean bag chair and found Lacy’s amber eyes staring her down.

            “It’s raining outside and I don’t want to go for a long walk. Go ask Aunt Kelshie if you could use the back yard.”

            Lacy got up and wagged her tail as she walked toward Kelshie who was lying on the couch. The red husky sat down and placed her paw on Kelshie’s hand. Kelshie peaked at Lacy and the dog whimpered.

            “You are too cute Lacy! You and the other Puppies can use the back yard.”

            “Thanks Kelshie,” Heather said. “I’ll clean up after them when it stops raining.”

            “There’s old towels in the mud room you can use to dry them off,” Kelshie yawned. She glanced around the room and asked, “Where’s the other two?”

            “Shep is by the stairs where he can watch over everyone. You know how protective he is. Hunter is… where is Hunter?”

            “She’s sleeping with me,” Jess smiled.

            “Awe Hunter you love Aunt Jess don’t you?” Heather crawled over and rubbed the beagle’s head.

            She wagged her tail and barked her answer.

            “Hey!” Heather reprimanded, “Use your inside voice.”

            In response Hunter barked softer.

            Melina giggled, “That’s so cute! All three of your dogs are so well trained.”

            “Thanks. I trained them myself.”

            “I want a dog of my own!” Jess pouted and hugged Hunter. “Hermie I’m stealing Hunter.”

            Heather smiled. “No you’re not,” she said as she took her beagle from her best friend’s arms, “She’s mine and it’s time for her to go out then have breakfast.”

            She walked up the stairs and Shep and Lacy followed closely.

            She opened the door to the mud room and all three dogs looked at her.

            “Go ahead. It’s only rain.”

            The three dogs stepped into the back yard as Heather prepared the old towels for when they came back in. The first to run back to the door was Hunter. She hated rain yet she loved taking baths and going swimming. Lacy was next and Shep took his time sniffing the perimeter of the yard. He was “making sure everything was safe” according to Heather. He was trained as a police dog but wasn’t put on a K-9 squad because of a skin condition he had. Shep was a brilliant guard dog but Heather loved his playful, sweet side. After Shep was toweled off she fixed the dogs’ breakfasts and waited for her own to be cooked.

            “Ah pancakes! I’m starving!” Heather said when she walked into the kitchen.

            The rain died down a little bit while the girls were getting dressed. Once they were ready to leave they dashed out to Jess’s car and jumped in as quickly as they could. Kelshie plugged her ipod into the radio connecter and played the This Is Us CD. The four girls sang at the top of their lungs all the way to the mall.

            They spent a few good hours at the mall searching for dresses to wear to the after party. Each girl had to try on at least five dresses until they each found the perfect one. Kelshie was the first to buy her knee length white dress with a black rose design on the bottom with a matching black half jacket. Jess found a fushia strapless dress that ended right above her knee. Heather fell in love with a pleated purple, strapless, one that ended just below her knees. Around the waist was a beaded sash. Finally Melina bought a very flattering dark green halter top dress that ended just below her knee.

            They walked around the mall for a little while until they stumbled onto a new costume store.

            “I didn’t know this was here,” Jess commented.

            “You of all people! You practically live at the mall Jess,” Kelshie scoffed.

            “Let’s take a look inside. Maybe they have masquerade masks,” Heather suggested.

            The girls entered the store and split up in search of masks.

            “Did you guys find anything?” Heather asked as she and her friends reunited after a few minutes of searching.

            Her three best friends shook their heads.

            “May I help you girls?” one of the employees asked.

            “Oh yes, we’re looking for masquerade masks. You wouldn’t happen to carry any would you?” Heather asked.

            “A matter of fact we do. Follow me,” the employee led the way to the back of the store where the jewelry and a few props were kept.

            The girls looked into the glass case and marveled at the hand crafted pieces of jewelry.

            “These are gorgeous!” Melina exclaimed when her eyes fell on the different masks.

            “Kelshie, this one would look awesome with your dress,” Heather pointed out a black mask with white detailing around the eyes and white scrolling.

            “I like it! I’ll take that one,” she grinned. The man behind the display case handed the mask to her.

            “What do you guys think of that mask over there?” Melina questioned.

            The other girls looked at the black mask with an elegant flower next to the right eye.

            “I really like the silver detailing on it,” Kelshie commented.

            “Do you think that will match my dress?” Melina asked.

            “I think it would. But I’m not the best one to go to for fashion advice. What do you think Jess?” Heather replied.

            “I think it would add a nice touch to your green dress. Go for it girl,” Jess advised.

            “Ok I’ll take that one please,” Melina said politely to the employee.

            “Ok you purple girls,” Kelshie said to Jess and Heather. “Are you two going to fight over that one on the end? I know how much you both love purple.”

            Jess and Heather looked at the mask Kelshie was talking about.

            “Hermie this one would match your dress perfectly! And the gold glitter adds a really good touch,” Jess said.

            “I like that a lot!” Heather smiled at her best friend.

            “I won’t fight you for it. You can have it Hermie,” Jess said. “Besides I really like that white and gold one next to it.”          

            The girls bought the masks then headed toward the food court.

            On their way home they stopped at an arts and crafts store to buy T-shirts and materials to decorate them. They drove back home just before the rain started to fall harder.

            “What do you guys want for dinner tonight?” Kelshie asked after Heather let the dogs out and fed them.

            “It feels like a soup and sandwiches kind of night,” Jess suggested.

            “Yeah that does sound good on a damp, crappy day like this,” Heather agreed.

            “Ok. How does soup and sandwiches sound to you Melina?” Kelshie asked.

            Melina nodded her head, “Sounds perfect.”

            Kelshie laughed, “Good less for me to cook!”  

            Heather shook her head, “You really are the happy home making hostess aren’t you Kelshie?”

            “That was sarcasm right Hermie?”

            “Do you not know me by now…” Heather paused as she thought about her best friend’s tone of voice, “wait that was sarcastic wasn’t it?”

            Kelshie nodded her head and Jess laughed, “You two are too funny!”

            “All the soup is in the cabinet go pick out which ones you guys want,” Kelshie said pointing to the cabinet she was talking about.

            After dinner and the movie they were watching ended Jess asked, “Do you guys want to play the BSB game?”

            “I haven’t played that in a long time,” Kelshie commented. “I’m in.”

            “You know I’m always ready to play the BSB game. Heck I created it!” Heather laughed.

            “Sis is this the same BSB game you and I play on facebook?” Melina asked.

            “Yes it is. Wanna play?”

            “Yes! Do you guys play the same why that Heather plays?”

            “Heather came up with the game in the first place,” Kelshie informed. “She usually starts off the game by singing a part of a song and then Jess or I have to guess which song it is. Then whoever gets the song right has to give a song clue to the other players.”

            “Oh ok it is the same game. I’ll play,” Melina smiled.

            “Before we start I need to get my score board and the song list and I have to tell you guys about the new addition to the game I call Guess the Guy.”

            “What’s Guess the Guy?” Jess questioned.

            “You have to guess which Backstreet Boy sings the lyrics given as clues,” Heather replied.  “You’ll get more points for guessing right.”

            “Hey I like this addition! Maybe I can finally win!” Jess laughed. She turned to Melina and warned her, “Just a heads up, whenever Kelshie and I play with Hermie she always beats our asses by hundreds of points. And Kelshie usually comes in second so I’m left in their dust! So good luck against those two.”

            Melina chuckled, “Thanks Jess.”

            Heather got up and ran to get the BSB Game score board and song list out of her backpack and once she returned they established that she would say the first clue.

            “Ok here’s your clue,” Heather cleared her throat and sang, “Go on and pull me under/Cover me with dreams yeah.”

            Melina exclaimed, “Drowning! And it’s Kevin’s part!”

            Kelshie and Jess looked at each other and nearly screamed, “Damn!”

            Jess pouted, “There is absolutely no chance for me to win this game now.”

            Kelshie and Hermie laughed.

            “I’m sorry Jess,” Melina said.

            “It’s ok.”

            “So Melina,” Heather said getting everyone’s attention, “Drowning is a 15 point song and with the Guess the Guy bonus you just got 30 points to start off the game. And now it’s your turn to give us a clue.”

            The game continued for almost three straight hours until all of the songs on the list were used only once.

            “Alright the scores are all totaled up,” Heather, the score keeper announced. “Keep in mind that the total game itself is worth 1620 points. First place is 780 points, second place 600 points, third place 140 points and forth place 100.”

            “Let me guess the 100 points is me isn’t it?” Jess questioned.

            Heather chuckled, “How’d you know?”

            “Gee maybe it’s the fact that you and Melina are friggin’ beast at this game!” She pointed fiercely at Kelshie, “There was a point in that game where Kelshie and I were going to just give up and let you two battle it out.”

            “Or we were going to team up,” Kelshie commented.

            “But you still would’ve won!” Jess exclaimed.

            “Ok I’m dying to know who came in second and third because I know that you came in first Hermie,” Kelshie commented.

            “Are you sure you want to know?” Heather teased.

            “Yes just tell me!” Kelshie got frustrated.

            Heather laughed then said, “You got third and Melina is second.”

            “Yay!” Melina giggled.

            “I have to admit that was a good game,” Kelshie said.

            “Can we play again? That was fun,” Melina asked.

            “We’ll play again some other day. It’s one of those games that gets tiring if you play it over and over again in the same day,” Jess replied. “Especially when Hermie keeps winning.”

            Heather stuck her tongue out at Jess.

Chapter 5 by CarterFan28

Chapter 5

            “Today is going to be hot!” the weather man said while the girls were waking up the next morning. “It is perfect beach weather out there folks and if you’re not a beach person then I would recommend you stay inside with the AC on high.”

            “Do you guys want to go to the beach today?” Kelshie asked as she poured herself a bowl of cereal.

            “Most of the out of towners won’t be here so it would probably be less crowded,” Jess commented.

            “You know me,” Heather said, “It doesn’t matter what we do.”

            “I would like to check out the beach today if you guys don’t mind,” Melina said.

            “No we don’t mind,” Kelshie smiled. “After breakfast we’ll pack the car with snacks and all the other beach stuff and head for the shoreline.”

            It took the girls about half an hour to really get moving and pack Kelshie’s SUV for their day at the beach.

            Once they picked a prime spot to lay down the blanket and open up the umbrella they would go back and forth from tanning to jumping into the cool water.

            “Look the volley ball nets are open!” Heather exclaimed. “Come on let’s go play!”

            She grabbed Melina’s arm and dragged her through the sand toward the unoccupied volley ball net. Kelshie and Jess followed as they laughed at Heather’s mad dash for the net.

            “Let’s play Heathers against me and Melina,” Jess suggested.

            “Sounds good to me,” both Heathers said at the same time.

            “We’re going to kick your asses,” Jess teased. “Right Melina?!”

            She chuckled, “I don’t know. I’ve never played on sand before.”

            “That’s ok,” Heather laughed, “Kelshie and I aren’t that coordinated.”

            Kelshie nodded her head, “We always seem to run into each other and trip over each other’s feet!”

            And trip over each other they did! There came a point in the game where Kelshie and Heather just gave up because no matter what they did they kept falling. The Heathers were lying in the sand laughing hysterically and Jess and Melina were giggling along with their friends. It was no use keeping score because it was obvious that Melina and Jess won.

            When all four girls had enough sun, salt water and sand they packed their things to head back to Kelshie’s house.

            “Is there any dog park we can take the Puppies to around here?” Heather asked once they got in the car.

            “There is a park that allows dogs,” Jess answered.  

            “Would you guys mind if we go there because I feel bad that the Puppies were cooped up in the house all day.”

            “I feel bad too,” Kelshie agreed. “We’ll spend some time exploring the park then on our way home I have to stop at the grocery store to pick up fixings for sub sandwiches for dinner. Does that sound like a plan?”

            The other girls agreed and Kelshie made her way toward the house.

            The Puppies loved spending time at the park. They met other dogs, played endless rounds of fetch and Frisbee, and took a few dips in the pond located in the middle of the park. They even watched the sunset with the girls. After stopping at the local 24 hour grocery store the day of play for both girls and dogs ended at Kelshie’s house for dinner.

            When the paper plates were thrown away and the left over sandwich meats were put back in the refrigerator the girls sat down in front of the TV to relax.

            “Hey Hermie,” Jess said, “Do you have any songs in mind for the Karaoke thing?”

            “Well like I said before I think we should stick to songs from either Unbreakable or This Is Us,” Heather replied.

            Melina pouted, “But what about all the other great songs from earlier CDs?”

            “Don’t get me wrong I love the older songs but I would rather sing those songs with a fifth person. My sister Stephanie would love to do that with us but she couldn’t get off of work for this concert. And her boyfriend already took her to a This Is Us show. Besides each Boy gets their own time to shine in the newer songs and I would like each of us to get our own time to shine,” Heather reasoned.

            “Good point. I think we should stay away from very popular songs then,” Kelshie suggested, “Like we shouldn’t sing the singles.”

            “I was thinking the same thing,” Heather smiled. “Ain’t it scary how we can read each other’s mind?”

            Kelshie chuckled, “Honestly it doesn’t bother me anymore because we’ve been reading each other’s minds for years now!”

            “You’re right! I don’t know why I’m still scared!” Heather laughed. Getting back to the Karaoke subject, Heather said after she finished laughing, “Also I think it’s safer to stick to Unbreakable and This Is Us because I have a feeling we’re going to hear I Want It That Way, Quit Playing Games With My Heart, and Everybody Backstreet’s Back at least five times each that night.”

            “So let’s see what we can scratch off our list,” Jess started, “The singles are Inconsolable, Helpless When She Smiles, Bigger and,” she pouted as she said, “Straight Through My Heart.”

            “Awe Jess!” Heather said, “I know you love STMH but don’t you agree that the only ones who should sing that song are BSB?

            “Yeah you’re right.”

            “Does anybody beside me have any song ideas?” Heather asked.

            “Well maybe we should scratch off the ones that we can’t change lyrics to,” Kelshie said.

            “What do you mean?” Jess asked.

            Kelshie explained, “Like instead of us girls singing, “Let’s be lovers/Girl I promise to be faithful” we could sing “Let’s be lovers/Boy I promise to be faithful”. Get what I mean? When we need to we could change the song so it sounds like it was written for a girl band instead of a boy band.”

            “Oh I got it!” Jess exclaimed. “That makes sense. Good idea.”

            “Let me grab a pen and paper,” Heather got up to find a pen and piece of scrap paper.

            “What are you going to do?” Melina asked.

            “I’m going to make a list of all the songs on Unbreakable and This Is Us. That way we can eliminate the ones that don’t meet our requirements.”

            “So we agreed the four singles are scratched,” Kelshie said. Heather crossed off Inconsolable, Helpless When She Smiles, Straight Through My Heart and Bigger from the list.

            “She’s A Dream wouldn’t make sense if we made it into the girl version,” Jess commented, “Even though I love that song!”

            “I love it too but you’re right,” Heather said as she crossed it off.  

            “One In A Million wouldn’t work either,” Kelshie interjected.

            “How about we cross off the ones that are going to be in the concert?” Melina asked.

            “That’s a good iead,” Jess said.

            “Since you’ve seen the concert already in Germany, you can cross off the ones that were in the show,” Heather handed Melina the list.

            “I remember: Bye Bye Love, All Of Your Life, This Is Us, PDA, Undone and that’s it,” Melina checked the list before handing it back to Heather.

            “It’s a good thing All Of Your Life is scratched,” Kelshie commented.

            “Why?” Melina asked.

            “Because Hermie would be way too excited to perform it!” Kelshie chuckled.

            “Is that true?” Melina questioned her “blood sister” with a smile.

            Heather blushed a little, “Yeah Kelshie’s right. That is my favorite song of theirs! I get very excited whenever I hear it.”

            “You said PDA was in the show right?” Jess asked.

            “Yes,” Melina replied.

            “Yes! What a relief!” Jess exclaimed. “I’m so glad we don’t have to perform that song!”

            Melina looked confused.

            “Jess doesn’t like PDA but I love it!” Heather explained.

            “I don’t like it either,” Kelshie added.

            “You guys suck,” Heather scoffed.

            “Maybe we should sing a slow song,” Melina suggested.

            “I don’t think it should be too slow though,” Jess said.

            “Let’s eliminate the really slow ones,” Kelshie said.

            “Ok… let me see here,” Heather glanced at the list, “we’ll get rid of Shattered, Love Will Keep You Up All Night, Unmistakable, Unsuspecting Sunday Afternoon. How does that sound to you?”

            Kelshie pouted, “But I love Shattered and Unmistakable. Why do we have to get rid of those two?”

            “How about we keep Unmistakable and scratch Shattered because I love Unmistakable too,” Jess offered.

            “Works for me,” Heather said. “Unmistakable is another one of my favorites. Sounds good to you sis?”

            “I agree with the three of you. I love Unmistakable!”

            “Let me see the list please,” Jess didn’t even wait for Heather to answer when she snatched it from her hands. “I think Trouble Is sounds too depressing for me. I want to have fun on stage not be depressed. And You Can Let Go isn’t show-offy enough.”

            “Show-offy?” Kelshie questioned.

            “I don’t think it will show off our talents as well as the others might.”

            “I get what you’re saying,” Heather agreed, “Scratch it.”

            “We are down to eight,” Jess said. “Masquerade, If I Knew Then, Everything But Mine, Something That I Already Know, Any Other Way, Panic, Treat Me Right, and Unmistakable.”

            “I don’t think we shouldn’t use Masquerade because BSB might use it to go along with the After Party theme,” Melina commented.

            “Yeah it is a good idea to scratch it because BSB might perform it for us at the party,” Heather agreed.

            “How about we vote on which song we should sing?” Kelshie suggested.

            “Sounds good,” Jess said.

            Heather ripped up four pieces of paper and handed them out along with pens she found buried deep in her bag. After each girl handed in her vote Heather tallied them up.

            “So what song are we singing?” Kelshie asked excitedly.

            “Its unanimous we’re singing Unmistakable!”

            Everyone else screamed, “Yay! I love that song!”

            Heather laughed, “Dam! I knew it was only going to be a matter of time until Melina started saying the same things as us! That was kind of freaky!”

            Kelshie interjected logically, “We should have a backup or a few just in case people who go before us take our song.”

            “I say Treat Me Right and then Panic,” Jess said.

            “Ok to me. What about you two?” Heather asked Melina and Kelshie.

            They both nodded in agreement.

            “When do we start practicing?” Melina questioned.

            “How about tonight?”

            “I have nothing planned,” Kelshie replied.

            Melina and Jess didn’t mind either so Heather plugged her ipod into the ihome.

            “Who is singing which part again?” Jess asked.

            “I’m singing Nick’s parts, of course, you’re singing Brian’s, Kelshie get’s Howie’s parts and Melina has AJ’s,” Heather replied.        

            “Ok hit it.”

            The girls listened to the song twice. The first time they listened closely to their individual parts just to get a taste of the notes because they didn’t have sheet music. The second time they actually sang the song with small, fixable mistakes here and there.

            “It’s missing something,” Jess said.

            “Maybe we can come up with a routine,” Melina suggested.

            “I like that idea!” Jess said.

            A light bulb lighted over Heather’s head, “We could imitate the routine from the Unbreakable Tour! We’ll have to modify it a little bit because we probably won’t have chairs to use at the Party but I think that’d be cool!”

            “I like it!” Melina exclaimed.

            “Do we have to dance?” Kelshie asked with a less than happy voice.

            “I know you don’t like to dance Kelshie but it’s three against one. Besides you’re a good dancer,” Heather said honestly.

            “That’s what you say.”

            “Kelshie! It’s the truth!”

            “Ok. Ok. I’ll dance.”

            “Good. I’m tired so I’ll start thinking about dance moves tomorrow.”

            “I thought we were going to Six Flags tomorrow?” Jess interjected.

            “Oh yeah that’s right. I’ll just think about it after Six Flags.”

            Like all the other nights the girls got cozy in their PJs and popped a movie into the DVD player. Heather pulled out Violet from her bag and started the night’s entry.

            “Dear Vi,

            Today we spent the day at the beach. Melina loved it! She said the Jersey Shore is simply beautiful. I had to chuckle at her comment because there are prettier places than Jersey. We took the Puppies to a park and they had a blast playing fetch and meeting other dogs. They even went swimming in the pond. At first I didn’t want them too but they needed a bath anyway. So when we got home my BSB Buds helped me bath the Puppies in the backyard. After dinner we picked the song for the Backstreet Challenge. We decided on Unmistakable. I know what you’re thinking, “How are you going to get through that song Heather?” I don’t know but I want to try it. That song is breath taking and our voices are perfect for it. Plus we all love that song. I might sound conceded but I think we might possibly be the only other group that could sing that song correctly besides BSB themselves. But still I don’t know how if I’ll be able to control my emotions when we actually perform it. At least we didn’t choose I Still. Tomorrow we are playing on going to Six Flags and then walking the boardwalk at night. It’s going to be a long day tomorrow and I have a feeling Jess and Kelshie are going to drag me onto all the rides I don’t want to go on so I better get a good night’s sleep.

            I’ll write more later. HMH”

Chapter 6 by CarterFan28

Chapter 6

            Heather predicted correctly about what was going to happen at Six Flags. You see, Heather is not a rollercoaster person. She’d rather keep her feet on the ground. But as always Jess and Kelshie pulled her onto any ride they could. There were a few that weren’t that high and didn’t go too fast but others made Heather shake afterward. Melina wasn’t bothered by any of the rides. She seemed fearless which Heather envied a little bit. They spent most of the day at the amusement park and rode most of the rides. They even saw a few shows then hit the road for home.

            By the time they got back the sun had set and everyone was too tired to walk the board walk. But they went to the beach again the next day and at night they walked the board walk. It was there last day down the shore and all four girls enjoyed going on some of the rides and playing a lot of games and feasting on the famous board walk food.

            Before they knew it the girls were packing their cars and heading up North to Heather’s house.

            “Since we’re taking two cars,” Heather said, “Who is driving with whom?”

            “I’ll go with Kelshie,” Jess said. “But I’m taking Hunter with me.”

            “Ok you can steal my dog,” Heather joked, “But just for the car ride.”

            “I’ll keep you company sis,” Melina commented.

            “Why thank you,” Heather smiled. “My car is all packed except for Melina’s and my dress. Do you have room in your car Kelshie?”

            “Yup. I have plenty of room in the trunk.”

            “Good. I don’t want the Puppies laying on them and wrinkling them.”

            The girls and dogs jumped into the car.

            Once Heather and her blood sister got tired of listening to the radio Melina popped in the Unbreakable CD. They started singing along then Melina started laughing.

            “What’s so funny?”

            Melina chuckled, “We’re singing in individual parts.”

            Heather started laughing, “I didn’t realize that. We’ve been singing like that for a while now. I guess it’s becoming a habit!”

            They continued to sing until they pulled into the drive way.

            “Whose car is that?” Melina questioned.

            “Oh it’s my sister Stephanie’s,” Heather replied when she saw the black crossfire. “She was house sitting for me.”

            Kelshie and Jess pulled up next to Heather and jumped out of the car.

            “I am so happy to get out of the car!” Jess said. She was caring Hunter who looked sleepy. She handed her back to Heather and said, “Hunter fell asleep on my lap. I’m all numb from her sleeping on me. She’s heavy.”

            Heather chuckled as she put Hunter on the ground and the beagle ran for the front door, “At least it wasn’t Lacey or Shep. They’re even heavier.”

            “Were you and Melina singing along with Backstreet on your way up here?” Kelshie asked.

            “Of course we were,” Heather replied.

            “Did you guys only sing the parts you were assigned?”

            Heather chuckled, “Yeah!”

            “See Jess,” Kelshie lightly slapped her on the arm, “We’re not the only ones who did that!”

            Heather helped her friends get some stuff out of the cars then showed them into the front door.

            “Steph I’m home!” she called out once she stepped into the front hall.

            “Welcome home sis!” Heather’s older sister hugged her then hugged Kelshie and Jess. “Hey girls! How are yas?”

            “We’re good,” Jess and Kelshie said at the same time.        

            “Good to hear. And you must be my little sister’s German blood sister!” Stephanie turned to Melina. “I’m very glad to meet you. I’m Stephanie. Welcome to America!”

            “Thank you Stephanie. I have heard a lot about you.”

            “All the good things I hope,” Stephanie joked. “And please call me Steph, everyone else does.”

            Stephanie helped the girls unload the cars and made them dinner.

            “You didn’t have to make dinner for us,” Heather said as she helped set the table.

            “Eh it’s no problem. I knew you would be tired from driving. And you know how much I love to cook.”

            “That’s true. Oh I have a job for you.”

            “What’s that?”

            “The girls and I are in this contest…”

            “What kind of contest?” Stephanie interrupted.

            “It’s a Karaoke contest.”

            “When and where and what’s my job?”

            “It’s going to take place during the party BSB is holding after the concert.”          

            “Nice! What song are you singing?”

            “Unmistakable. I was wondering if you would give us some advice and help us with a few dance moves.”

            “I would love to help!”

            “I knew I went to the right person!”

            “Why don’t you guys show me what you got after dinner and then I’ll start thinking of ways I can help you.”

            “Sounds good to me.”  

            After dinner the girls showed off what they had so far for Unmistakable and as the song ended Stephanie smiled widely.

            “You guys sound amazing!”

            “Thanks!” they all replied.

            “And I have an idea for your performance.”

            Heather clapped her hands together excitedly, “I knew you would!”

            Stephanie grabbed a note pad and pencil then jotted down her ideas.

            About ten minutes later Stephanie showed the girls the routine she just created and they welcomed all of her ideas. She set to work teaching the girls and time flew by quickly. Before they all knew it two hours had past and most of the steps were learned. All they had to do was practice some more and get the timing down. So far Unmistakable was coming along nicely and the girls were getting excited.

            The next day Heather got a call from her friend Rose.

            “Would you be interested in going bowling with the usual group?”

            Heather answered, “I’ll have to ask my guests.”

            “Guests?”  Rose questioned.

            “I have my Backstreet Buds staying over for the week, remember?”

            “Oh yeah that’s right! Well they are welcome too! I haven’t seen Jess and the other part of Heather Squared in a long time. All of the usual group hasn’t seen them in a long time. We would love to see them and meet your friend from Germany,” Rose replied.

            “Ok hold one second. I’ll ask them now,” Heather walked into the living room and asked her Backstreet Buds, “Do you want to go bowling tomorrow?”

            “That sounds like fun!” Melina exclaimed.

            “Rose and the rest of the usuals are going. Do you two want to see them?” Heather asked Jess and Kelshie.

            “I miss the usual group!” Jess exclaimed.

            “Let’s go!” Kelshie replied.

            “Alright then,” Heather smiled then talked into the phone, “Rose you can count the four of us in.”

            “Great!” Rose exclaimed. “I’ll see you tomorrow at 4 then!”

            “See ya then Rosie.”

            The next day Melina was introduced to the “usual group” of Heather’s friends. There were a total of 16 in the original “usual group” and because of jobs, schooling, and other reasons the group lost six members. The reaming ten did their best to get together once in a while. They were the best of friends in high school and they stayed close even though they went their separate ways after graduation. Heather was glad this group of friends stayed as close as they did. As for the six members that drifted from the group there was one that Heather thought they would never lose and that devastated her.       

            After bowling for a few hours the group chose a place to go for dinner and made plans to spend the next day together. That next morning they watched a movie together then decided to play lazer tag.

            “So how many teams are we going to have?” Heather’s friend John asked.

            “There are 14 of us,” Rose said, “We can split into two teams of 7.”

            “That sounds good to me,” John replied. “Who wants to be team captains?”

            “How about we just play boys against girls because we’re split down the middle?” Rose suggested.

            John nodded, “It’s a plan. I call green lazers.”

            “That means we get purple!” Heather exclaimed.

            “Yay!” Jess laughed.

            Once the teams’ home bases were established and everyone was handed their censor vests and lazer guns the lights turned off and all the obstacles, vests, and guns glowed in neon colors. The game was intense! People were diving for cover and running in all different directions. Some hid behind obstacles and ambushed the opposite team.

            “This feels like we’re back in high school!” Heather said to Jess, Rose, and Melina who were hiding behind a wall close to the boys’ home base. They were waiting on the right moment to ambush the guard protecting the boys’ target. Once either the boys or girls target was hit the game ended.  

            “I think we’re crazier than we were in high school!” Rose joked.

            “Look at Kelshie!” Jess pointed out.

            Kelshie was running for cover as John and another guy on his team, Tim, were chasing after her. They were aiming for her but she ducked behind a wall just in time. The two boys looked at each other and laughed.

              Tim called out, “You gotta come out sooner or later Kelshie.”

            He didn’t know that Kelshie had crawled closer to the target and they also didn’t know that the other girls were close to the target either.

            Rose motioned for Kelshie to crawl over to the rest of them then she whispered, “On the count of three Kelshie you aim for Tim, Hermie you aim for John. Jess you take out the guard and me and Melina will try to hit the target.”

            The girls waited for Rose’s count and once she said three they executed the plan. Once the target was hit the lights slowly came back on and the game ended.

            All 14 friends made their way back to the check in counter and Tim said to Jess, Melina, Kelshie, Rose and Hermie, “I give you girls credit for that. That was a great ambush.”

            “Yeah,” John agreed, “I never expected that. You have perfect timing.”

            “Thanks John,” Rose replied.

            “That was a lot of fun!” Heather smiled. “We’ll have to do that more often.”

            “There is always next year Hermie,” her other friend Amber said.

            “Or sometime sooner than that,” Rose chipped in after seeing the dropped look on Heather’s face.

            “Sorry Heather,” Amber winced, “You know I’m still kind of awkward about this thing and I’m sorry about that I really am.”

            “It’s ok Amber. I’m still iffy about it too,” Heather said.

            The group said bye to each other one by one as they got into their cars and started toward their homes.

            Rose was the last to say “see ya later” to Heather before she got into her car.

            She hugged her best friend and said, “I had a lot of fun today Heather! Just try to focus on the good part of today more than the depressing part. And if you need or want to talk call me.”

            “Thanks Rose. I’ll try my best to stay happy even though it’ll be hard.”

            “I know it’s hard but I’m here for ya.”

            “I know you are Rose. I’ll see you later at work.”

            “See ya later.”

            Before Heather climbed into the driver’s seat Melina asked, “What was Rose talking about?”

            Jess and Kelshie looked at each other before Kelshie answered, “I’m not sure if we should tell you or not.”

            Jess nodded her head, “It’s a long story and it might be better if Hermie told you herself.”  

Chapter 7 by CarterFan28

Chapter 7

            Just as Heather sat down in the driver’s seat her cell phone rang.

            “Hey Steph, what’s up?”

            “I was just wondering if you need me to stay over tonight or not.”

            “I don’t think I need you to stay but you can stay for dinner and help with Unmistakable.”

            “Ok then I’ll be over in an hour.”

            “I’ll have dinner ready when you get there. We’re leaving lazer tag now.”

            “Alright Heather take your time. I have keys so I can get in.”

            It only took ten minutes for the girls to get home and just as Heather put dinner on the table Stephanie stepped through the front door.

            “Perfect timing,” Heather smiled at her sister.

            “It smells good in here!”

            “Thanks. Take a seat and dig in.”

            The girls told Stephanie all about lazer tag as they ate then they helped clear and clean the table.

            “Is everyone up to practicing Unmistakable?” Stephanie asked.

            The girls nodded their heads and Stephanie got the music ready. Once the girls set themselves up in their correct places the music started.

            Stephanie didn’t say a word as the girls performed the song and routine once without stopping. She noticed a few things that needed to be fixed here and there but overall she was impressed by them.

            “So,” Kelshie said after the song, “What do ya think?”

            Stephanie smiled widely, “You sound amazing! All four of ya!”

            “Thanks,” the Backstreet Buds said in unison.

            “You have a few mistakes but they are so tiny we can fix them right now.”

            They worked out what they needed to fix and decided on playing the song at least two more times to let everything set in.

            Heather could feel her eyes swelling with tears as she listened to the song. She just couldn’t push him from her mind no matter how hard she tried. When she opened her mouth to sing the first chorus her emotions took control and she couldn’t sing.

            She dropped the empty stick of deodorant she used as a fake microphone and whimpered, “I’m sorry guys…I… I need a break for a minute. You can keep practicing though.”

            She tried to hold back her tears as she ran up the stairs. She hated crying around people, even her own friends and family. She felt weak and unattractive when she cried and she absolutely hated feeling that way.

            Kelshie stopped the music and Melina started to follow her crying friend but Stephanie stopped her.

            “Don’t follow her. She needs some alone time. It’s a very emotional day for her.”

            Melina looked concernedly up the stairs, “Why? What’s wrong?”

            Stephanie turned to Kelshie and Jess, “Maybe you two could explain it.”

            She slowly and quietly made her way up the stairs to check on her distraught sister.

            Jess took a picture off the wall and handed it to Melina. She looked down and saw Heather and a good looking young man with brown hair and soft blue eyes standing with their arms resting on each other’s shoulder.

            “Who is that with Heather and when was this taken?” Melina asked.

            Kelshie replied, “That was high school graduation.”

            “And that is Rich,” Jess added, “He was Heather’s other best friend next to Kelshie and me.”

            “They did just about everything together,” Kelshie said, “They knew each other since before they could walk and talk.”

            Jess sighed, “It surprised everyone in our grade that they never dated. But I have a feeling that if he was still around today they would most likely be engaged if not married already.”

            Melina looked hesitant before she asked, “What happened to him?”

            Kelshie dug her hands into her pockets as she usually did when she talked about a troubling subject, “After graduation he started dating this girl his bad news step sister hung out with. His girlfriend got him addicted to all sorts of drugs and alcohol. He went downhill fast.”

            Jess took over, “He and Heather lost contact because of that fact and because the dirty little bitch he was with had complete control over him. She made him stop talking to all of his old friends and some of his own family. Heather was really hurt by that.”

            “But exactly 6 years ago,” Kelshie’s voice became somber and quiet as she continued, “Heather got this letter and she has been heartbroken ever since.”

            Melina questioned, “Do you know what the letter said?”

            Jess answered, “The only one who knows is Heather and she won’t talk about it.”

            Meanwhile Stephanie waited outside of Heather’s door listening to her sister’s sniffling. She wasn’t exactly crying but Stephanie knew she was very upset.

            The older sister pressed her ear to the door and heard the bed springs creak and the sliding door leading to Heather’s rooftop terrace open. Stephanie cracked open the door just enough to see Heather silhouetted by the moonlight. She was writing in something Stephanie assumed was her diary named Violet.

            She was correct because Heather started speaking out loud as she wrote,

            “Dear Violet,

            Today is the 6th anniversary of the most horrible day in the Rich saga. And I know I say this every year but I remember it like it was yesterday. But the only thing that’s changed is my mind set. I think I’m ready to talk about it this year and not just writing my feelings down in a purple diary but actually talking to either my sister or my best friends. I might even show them the letter and my drawing. It’s just still so hard to even think about! Right now I’m sitting on my roof as I do a lot just thinking. The moon is full tonight. It’s pretty and very bright.” She paused as she looked up from her diary and stared at the moon. “I hope you can hear me Rich. I miss you and I know you’re somewhere out there, somewhere far away. I want you back. I just want you back. I also want you to know that I talk to the moon in hopes you’re on the other side talking to me too. I remember the moon story you told me when Grandpa died and I hope it works. Maybe I’m crazy but sometimes I can sense that you’re listening… or someone’s listening. Who knows? I do know that I miss you way more than you’ll ever know.” She lowered her head and sighed, “I know you’re standing there Steph.”

            “Do you wanna talk?”

            “Come on out here.”

            “So why are you quoting Bruno Mars?” she asked as she sat next to her sister.

            Heather looked confused then figured out what her sister meant, “Oh yeah his song Talking To The Moon… Remember that Rich was part Native American?”

            “Yes I do.”

            “He told me a legend of why wolves and coyotes howl at the moon. The legend says that souls of both people and animals travel to the moon when their bodies die and that the wolves and coyotes howl to their ancestors each night to remember them.”

            “So you think Rich is on the moon?”

            Heather looked back up at the white, glowing moon then answered, “No. He can’t be dead. He’s out there breathing somewhere I can feel it. I just have to find him.”

            Stephanie asked cautiously, “Can I see the letter?”

            Heather handed her an old, folded piece of paper. She carefully unfolded it and read aloud,

            “Dear Heather,

            I’m sorry we lost contact for how many ever years it’s been. I didn’t want to talk to you or see you for a reason. After graduation I started dating Harlow, Harper’s best friend. I know what you’re thinking, “Why her?!” I thought she changed, I thought Harper changed. But I was wrong. They changed me. They made me break the promise you and I made. They got me addicted to drugs and alcohol. I have changed drastically Heather. I don’t recognize myself anymore and I doubt you would either if we ever met again or even ran into each other on the street. I wrote to you to tell you that I don’t want you at my funeral. I want you to remember me as I was, as we once were before I broke the promise. I’m not the good ole Rich anymore Heather. Something in me has died and I won’t be surprised if my body follows soon. So I repeat my old friend, I don’t want you at my funeral because you won’t know it’s me. Please remember the old Rich, your best friend. Also, please remember that I love you and I’m keeping you in my heart. My final request is that you keep me in yours.

            The late friend you used to know

            Rich”

            Stephanie looked astonished at her sister who was wiping a single tear from her cheek.

            “Oh sis, I’m so sorry!” Stephanie engulfed Heather in her arms. “I know how close you guys were and how strong that promise was.”

            “He’s not dead though,” Heather replied strongly.  

            “What do you mean?”

            “I don’t think he’s dead. It’s just a piece of him that’s dead. I know Rich. He would never take his own life. His friggin’ step sister Harper is a liar and I knew something wasn’t right when she had no idea where he was buried. She’s evil and she’s just playing a sick joke.”

            “But for six years?”

            “I can’t explain it. She’s always hated me and Rich and the only way to deal with her is to just leave her alone and not show her any emotion and she leaves.”

            “So you’re sure he’s not dead?”

            “I had this dream a few nights after Harper gave me the letter,” Heather started then paused for a second, “I was walking on this crowded street and as I was walking I was singing I Still to myself. Everything seemed to be moving so quickly and I was the only one moving at a regular pace. All of a sudden I look at this guy leaning against a lamp post and I stop in my tracks. It was Rich, living and breathing. He walked over to me and flicked his finger on my shoulder like he used to and called me by the nickname that only he called me by. He said I was right. Then I woke up. It felt too real to be a dream Steph.”

            “I know you and dreams sis. If you had a dream that he’s still alive I’ll believe it. You have predicted the future with your dreams before.”

            “I even drew a picture of my dream.” Heather unfolded another piece of paper and handed it to her sister.

            Stephanie looked at the picture closely and nodded her head, “Yup that’s Rich alright. He looks older and more muscular though.”

            “That’s what he looked like in my dream.”

            “So if you believe that he’s still alive why are still so upset?”

            “Because he broke our promise,” she replied in a near whisper as she could feel more tears welling in her eyes, “He’s obviously letting Harper and Harlow control his life. He changed!” By now she broke down again. “We promised each other we would never change! We promised we would never get into drugs and alcohol and more important we promised we would remain best friends but he’s not here! I feel like he doesn’t trust me anymore! Steph, I lost my best friend!”

            Stephanie brought her sister into her arms and let the tears wet her shoulder.

            Heather sobbed, “Unmistakable reminds me of him and my dream that’s why I had to get out of that room. I wish I could find him, just like he found me then I will never him let go.”

            “I know you won’t,” Stephanie soothed. “How about we go back down stairs when you’re ready and practice the steps without the music? Then afterward we could listen to All Of Your Life? I know that will cheer you up.”

            Heather giggled as she dried her eyes, “Sounds good.”

            Stephanie helped her up then they walked back down stairs.

            “You ok Hermie?” Kelshie asked.

            “Yup. I just need a little pick me up,” she went over to the stereo and turned on All of Your Life (You Need Love).

            The song automatically made Heather smile and start to dance. Her sister and Backstreet Buds joined her and they all sang along.

            “I knew that song would cheer you up,” Stephanie grinned.

            “Good call Steph. Let’s practice some more and call it quits for the night.”

            The Backstreet Buds set themselves up for Unmistakable and Stephanie started coaching them. First they practiced without the music and once they got all the steps down without any mistakes they ran through it again with the music.

            “I have to say you girls are putting more emotion into your voices now which is very good,” Stephanie complemented. “That emotion will sell the song for you if nothing else will.”

            Heather took a sip of water then replied, “Thanks sis. We’ll have someone record the performance for you.”

            “Please do. Do you want me to stay tonight Heather?”

            “No I’m good. And before you ask yes I’m sure.”     

            “Ok I’m going home then. If I don’t see you guys before the concert have fun and good luck with Unmistakable. Remember to sell the song with emotion.”

            Heather hugged her sister, “We will Steph. Good night.”

            “Night. I love you Heath.”

            “I love you too.”

            Once Stephanie closed the front door behind her Jess called out like she was a young child, “Hey Hermie…”

            “Yes Jess,” Heather replied mimicking her.

            “Can we have a Backstreet recording marathon tonight? It will cheer you up even more.”

            “You don’t have to twist my arm Jess. Backstreet marathon it is! I need to get my mind off of Rich and Nick Carter is just the man to do it.”

            The girls followed Heather up to her room where they spent most of the night watching all of Backstreet’s TV performances that she recorded and her collection of Backstreet videos and DVDs. Heather’s mind was partially taken off of Rich but she always thought about him. 

Chapter 8 by CarterFan28

Chapter 8

            The girls were sleeping heavily when the phone rang and scared all of them awake.

            “Heather answer it quick!” Kelshie snapped. She was always cranky when she was woken up abruptly. “Make the ringing stop!”

            Heather laughed at her whining best friend as she reached for the phone.

            “Hello?”

            “Heather it’s Rose. Would you mind coming into work today? Right now it’s only me and Tommy. Everyone else has called in sick. We have a lot of people lined up for adoptions and we haven’t even finished cleaning the cages yet.”

            “Sure I’ll come in today. I’ll be there in a few minutes.”

            “Thank you so much Heather! You’re a life saver!”

            “Who was that?” Jess asked.

            “It was Rose. She needs a lot of help at the animal shelter. I have to go into work today because she and our other co-worker are swamped. I’m sorry I’m leaving you guys for the day.”

            “That’s ok,” Kelshie answered. “Would you need someone to volunteer?”

            “I’ll have to see how busy it is but I don’t think so. Thank you anyway Kelshie.”

            “You know I’ll always help out when it comes to animals.”

            “I gotta go get ready. Help yourselves to breakfast just search for whatever you want in the fridge and the cabinets.”

            “We can go to the mall if you guys want to while Heather’s gone,” Jess suggested.

            “If you do decide to go out somewhere I’ll leave the spare key on the kitchen table for you guys. I’ll see around four or five depending on how busy we are. And Kelshie I might be giving you a call to help out.”

            “Ok Hermie. Have fun,” Kelshie smiled.

            “Thanks. See you girlies later.”

            Heather threw on her clothes and tied up her hair in record time. Before she ran out the door she grabbed a bagel for the drive to work.

            There was a long line of people waiting to talk to Rose who was behind the main desk of the shelter. Rose took a big sigh of relief when she saw Heather walk through the front door.

            “Excuse me for one moment miss,” Rose slipped out from behind the desk to talk to Heather.

            “What are my orders boss?”

            “Right now Tommy and I are running adoptions and we got a few more volunteers that are cleaning the cages. Everyone has been fed but there are a few more dogs that need to be walked.”

            “Ok I’ll take them on a quick walk. Who needs to be walked?”

            “The row you take care of actually.”

            “I’ll go walk them right now.”

            “Thank you so much for coming in today! I know I pulled you away from your Backstreet Buds.

            “It’s no problem. They understand.”

            Heather set out on walking the dogs in the assigned row one by one. Once she got to the last three cages a huge smile came across her face. Ebenezer, Tuffy, and Pinch were very excited to see her back at work.

            “Hello my three favorites!” she said happily. “Let’s go for a walk.”

            She clipped on the dogs leashes then led them outside. She took the last three dogs out for a longer walk than the others she was in charge of. She loved those three dogs and it was obvious that they loved her back. She took her time taking them back in but when she did Rose caught up with her.

            “I’m going to take my lunch break now so would you mind taking over the front desk?”   

            “No I don’t mind at all.”

            “Thanks so much!”

            Heather filled out some paper work and answered some questions before her friend Bruce and his wife Chrystal were next in line to tell her, “We’re interested in adopting a dog.”

            “It’s about time you two came in to adopt! Come follow me. I’ll show you the row of dogs I normally watch over and we’ll go from there.”

            Bruce and Chrystal found certain things about each dog that either of them liked. Bruce wanted a bigger dog that would be a good protector while Chrystal wanted a medium sized dog that would be good with future kids.

            Heather was hesitant before she asked, “Would you be interested in adopting two dogs?”

            “You know we’re animal lovers Heather,” Bruce answered without missing a beat. “If we were millionaires we would adopt them all.”

            “Well there are two dogs at the end of the row that have been here for quite a while. They both came from the same house and I would like to see them get adopted together.” Heather showed them Tuffy and Ebenezer.

            It was love at first sight for Bruce and Chrystal. At first Bruce was a little put off by Ebenezer’s age but as he spent a little time with him he realized that Ebenezer didn’t act like an old dog at all. Chrystal was a little intimidated by Tuffy until the pretty pit bull mix proved how sweet and trusting she was.

            “So honey what do you think?” Bruce asked his wife.

            “I love them both. Can we take both of them home?”

            “It’s up to you.”

            “Heather, Tuffy and Ebenezer will be coming home with us today.”

            Heather’s eyes lit up, “You don’t know how long I have been waiting for them to find a good home! If they weren’t going to get adopted soon I was going to take them home myself. But this is great! They are going to a loving home and I get to visit them! I’ll go get you guys their leashes and the adoption papers then I’ll show you into an adoption room.”

            “Thank you so much Heather.”

            “No don’t thank me. I thank you guys for adopting them.”

            Around 4:30 the shelter calmed down to a much slower pace. Heather helped feed the animals then paid a special visit to Pinch before she left.

            She stepped into his cage after he finished eating and sat down in his kennel.

            “Hey Pinch,” the Doberman pinscher puppy sat in her lap and listened to her talk. “I’m sorry you didn’t get adopted yet. I know you’ll get a good home someday soon. If not I promise I’ll take you home myself. You’re such a good puppy and you’ll make someone very happy. I have to go home now bud but I’ll check in on you tomorrow.”

            She kissed the puppy’s forehead and Pinch licked her face. Pinch settled down in his bed once Heather locked the kennel before she left.

            As she pulled into the drive way Jess, Kelshie and Melina were walking toward the back door.

            “Perfect timing!” Kelshie called out when Heather got out of the car.

            “Where did you girls go to?”

            “We went to my favorite place in the world!” Jess exclaimed.

            “How did you like the mall up here Melina?” Heather asked.

            “I had a lot of fun shopping with Jess and Kelshie,” she smiled her reply.      

            “I even had fun trying stuff on,” Kelshie commented.

            “You? Wow miss I hate the mall,” Hermie joked.

            “Yeah I know! So how did work go?” Kelshie asked.

            “We had a lot of adoptions today and Tuffy and Ebenezer I told you guys about got adopted too.”

            “Awesome!” Melina exclaimed. “You must be very happy!”

            “I am. And you’ll never guess who adopted them.”

            “Who?” Kelshie asked.

            “Bruce and Chrystal.”

            “Oh how nice,” Jess commented. “Now you can visit your two favorite dogs in their new home.”    

            “Yeah today was a very good day. Now I’m ready to relax and I don’t feel like cooking. How does Chinese takeout sound to you guys?”

            The Backstreet Buds agreed and Heather got the menu. As they waited for the food to arrive Kelshie got an idea.

            “I was thinking…” she started.

            “Uh oh here we go,” Heather joked.

            “Oh shush! Are we really going to go into the city in the dresses we are going to wear to the After Party?”

            “Good point there…” Heather thought for a second, “I know I can call in a favor to my friend Sue. She works in a hotel that’s right next to where the concert is. We could get a room just to keep our stuff in and after the concert we’ll run to the hotel, change and run back.”

            “Will we have enough time to do that?” Jess questioned.

            “Hey blood sister can I use your laptop? I want to see if it says anything about the After Party on the fanlub,” Melina said.

            “Good idea. Go right ahead and use it.”

            Melina logged onto her fanclub profile and found out that she had one unread message, “It says that we can leave our things backstage before the concert if we wanted to and that they are giving us an hour before the party to get ready. It also says that we have to be at the concert hall at least three hours before the concert starts so we can do the meet and greet and take a tour backstage and have a question and answer session.”

            “What time does the concert start again?” Jess asked.

            “Eight pm,” Heather replied without missing a beat.

            “So we have to be there by five the latest. Why don’t we just book a room for the night before the concert so we can sleep over there and be there early in the morning so we can get a good spot on line? Remember how early we used to go to concerts?” Jess smiled as she thought back to her high school days.

            Kelshie chuckled, “Yeah I remember that well. But this time we don’t have to get there too early. I mean we don’t have to be like some fans that get their spot in line at like six am the morning of the concert. We are going to meet them and get our picture taken with them before the concert and if we’re lucky hang out with them after the concert.”

            “But don’t you want a good spot in the standing area?” Melina asked.

            “We’re going to get close to them before the concert though,” Kelshie reasoned.

            “You have a point there,” Heather replied. “Let me call Sue and see what I can get. If the food comes I left money on the table.”

            Heather walked into her office room and dialed Sue.

            “Hi Heather! What’s up?”

            “Hey Sue! I was wondering if you could do me a favor…”

            “Sure, what is it?”

            “Is there any possible way you could book a room for me for the 25th and the 26th?”

            “Is it because you’re going to the Backstreet Boys concert?”

            “Yes it is! How’d you know?”

            “Their management asked a few hotels around where the concert is to hold open a few rooms for the people going to the After Party. I have one room left. How many people are with you?”

            “Three other girls.”   

            “Would you mind having a two bed room? I could always have two fold out beds delivered to your room for free because of the friend discount.”

            “No, we can share beds that’s not a problem Sue. And thank you so much!”

            “Don’t mention it! I’ll probably see you on the 25th when you check in but if I don’t have fun at the concert! You’re so lucky to get VIP tickets you must be excited!”

            “Oh trust me Sue we all are! Oh what time is check in?”

            “Anytime you like. Just give me a call when you get a parking spot.”

            “OK Sue I will. Thanks again!”

            “Don’t mention it.”

            Heather hung up and walked back into the living room just as the doorbell rang.

            “I’ll get it,” Kelshie got up and answered the door. She paid for the food and brought it inside to the others.

            “I’ll get you guys TV tables,” Heather set up the tables and helped hand out her friends’ orders.

            “So what’s the verdict on the hotel room?” Jess asked.

            “We have a two bed room so we’ll have to double up but and I found out from my friend that there were a few rooms set aside for the people going to the After Party so we’re not the only Backstreet Fans that will be staying there.”

            “What time are we going into the city?” Kelshie asked.

            “It’s up to you guys. It doesn’t matter to me. My friend said we can check in whenever we want to.”

            Melina asked, “Could we go sightseeing tomorrow? I would love to see New York City.”

            “Yeah Hermie can we?” Jess pleaded. “You know how much I love shopping in the city.”

            “What do you think Kelshie?” Hermie asked.

            “I haven’t been to NYC in a while. I’d like to go again.”

            “Alright then, we’ll show Melina around the city tomorrow,” Heather concluded.

            “Yay! Thank you blood sis!”

            “You’re welcome.”

            “Can we practice Unmistakable one last time after dinner?” Kelshie suggested. “I think we should practice tonight and leave it alone tomorrow and we will be good for the party.”

            “That sounds like a great idea,” Heather agreed.

            The girls finished their dinner then practiced their song one last time in front of the big mirror in the living room.

            Heather smiled as she exclaimed, “Guys we are going to rock this song!”

            “Really?!” Melina asked excitedly.

            “Oh yeah I was watching you guys in the mirror and everyone was dead on with the choreography and our voices sounded perfect!”

            Jess clasped her hands together, “I’m getting excited now!”

            “Me too!” Kelshie almost screamed. “We better get the stuff we wanna bring along so we can just pack the cars and head for the city.”   

            “Couldn’t have said it better myself Kelshie,” Heather said. “And I was thinking that we could all just go in my CRV so we only have to worry about one car.”

            “That sounds like a plan,” Jess said. “We better start packing now.”

Chapter 9 by CarterFan28

Chapter 9

            As the girls started packing for the city they listened to Melina’s other favorite band, Linkin Park, for a change. They were getting excited especially when Heather logged into the Backstreet fanclub with an idea.

            “The fanclub store has everything that is being sold on tour. How about we get an idea of what we want before the concert?” Heather suggested.

            “That’s smart,” Kelshie commented, “Especially because we have gone overboard with some of the other shows we went to. Now we could see how much things cost and how much money we should each bring.”

            Jess started chuckling, “Remember at the Never Gone show in the city? We spent so much at the merchandise stand that we almost didn’t have enough money to get a bus back to Hermie’s house!”

            “How could I forget that?!” Heather chuckled, “We all started to panic but then I found a few extra bucks in my jacket pocket and we had just enough for the three of us to get back home.”

            “I already have all the things I want from the This Is Us tour,” Melina said.

            “But you have to get something to remember your first BSB concert in America!” Kelshie replied.

            Melina smiled, “That’s true! But I will always remember this concert because of all of you!”

            Jess and Heather Squared all breathed out, “Awe! You’re so sweet!”

            “So what’s online?” Jess asked.

            The girls browsed all the tour merchandise and debated how much money everyone should bring.

            “Remember we also have to bring enough to pay for the hotel room, food, and gas,” Heather reasoned.

            “Oh yeah how are we going to handle the hotel room and the food?” Kelshie asked.

            “We can all split it like we used to since we each paid for our own tickets,” Jess suggested.

            “Melina, would you mind splitting the expenses for the hotel and food also?” Heather questioned.

            “I have no problem with that. I brought enough money and you have been feeding and giving me a place to sleep for the past week and I’ll be happy to help with the hotel and food. I just need to convert some more of my money,” she answered.

            Heather nodded her head, “Ok. We’ll go to the bank before we hit the city. I have to get gas anyway.”

            Once the girls set up their plan for the morning they decided to go to bed early so they would be rested for the morning. They planned on leaving pretty early and nobody wanted to be cranky on account of not enough sleep.

            The girls woke up to Heather’s Ihome playing We’ve Got It Goin’ On and as they became aware of what day it was they started singing along. Heather kept playing the Backstreet’s Back album as she and her Backstreet Buds got ready for the day ahead of them. They all agreed that Backstreet in the morning was a great way to wake up.

            After taking Melina to the bank and filling up on gas, Heather pointed her car toward New York City.     

            “Hey Jess, can you hand Kelshie the GPS please? It’s in the seat pocket in front of you,” Heather said as she started to drive out of town.

            “Who nominated me to use the GPS?” Kelshie asked with a slight laugh in her voice as Jess handed it to her.

            Heather smiled, “I am driving and you are riding shot gun.”

            “So that means I’m automatically your co-pilot?”

            “Yup!”

            “Oh great… Why do you need this anyway? I thought you knew where you were going.”

            “I know the city pretty well but I’m not too sure where the hotel and concert hall are.”

            “Oh ok. Now how the hell do I work this thing and where is the address to the place?”

            “The hotel address is in the glove box. I think we should go there first to check in and drop off our bags and from there we can just walk the city, get something to eat, and when we get tired we can go back to the hotel. Also I’ll have a parking spot.”

            There was silence for a little until Kelshie screamed, “Ah! Hermie this isn’t working! I’m about to throw it out the window!  It’s not giving me New York City! It keeps giving me other parts of New Jersey! Urgh!”

            Jess and Melina’s eyes got wide while Heather chuckled then replied calmly, “Just press the refresh button on the top next to the power button then put in the address.”

            Kelshie followed her best friend’s directions and the GPS started working properly, “Sorry I threatened to throw this thing out the window.”

            Heather gave out a small laugh, “Its ok. So which BSB CD do you girls want to listen to?”

            “Never Gone,” Melina and Jess said at the same time then laughed at their perfect timing.

            Kelshie agreed and Heather asked her to load the CD into the player. As the trip continued the girls were having a blast singing along with their all time favorite singers and with each song they were getting more and more excited for the concert. The traffic got heavier as they got closer to the city so they listened to Unbreakable and just as Unsuspecting Sunday Afternoon ended they pulled into the hotel’s parking lot.

            Once Heather found a spot close to the lobby doors she called her friend Sue, “Hey Sue! We just found the perfect spot and we are heading inside now.”

            “Ok I’m at the front desk and I’ll check you guys in.”

            After they were checked in a bell hop helped them bring in their bags up to their room. They hung their dresses and picked where they were going to sleep then grabbed the map of the city Sue gave them and set out to show Melina around.

            The girls went everywhere their feet would carry them to. Where ever Melina wanted to go they tried their best to get there as long as it wasn’t too far. They walked through Time Square which was closed to traffic for the day so it was safe to walk in the street. Melina was ecstatic to finally be in New York City and she tried to take in all that she could.

            “Is anybody else hungry?” Kelshie asked.

            “I’m hungry also,” Melina replied.

            “Ditto,” Jess and Heather said simultaneously.  

            The four girls went to Bubba Gump’s to eat at and rest their feet for a little while.

            As they waited for their food they looked over the map and the route they had chosen to take.

            “We’re pretty much going in a big circle,” Kelshie realized.

            “And look we’re close to the M&M factory!” Jess exclaimed. “Let’s go there after lunch.”

            “And then after that we’ll have to go to the Hershey store,” Heather said. “That’s my favorite store.”

            “Then can we make our way back to the hotel?” Melina asked. “My feet are starting to hurt and I don’t want them really hurting tomorrow. We will be standing all day and then dancing afterward.”

            “That sounds good to me,” Heather replied. “We did do a lot of walking today and I really don’t want to be walking the city at night even if we are all together.”

            “Good idea,” Kelshie agreed, “I’m starting to get tired too.”

            “I’m all in for that idea too,” Jess said, “But after we go to the M&M Factory.”

            “Yes Jess after we eat,” Heather assured her.

            After they divided the check they walked across the street to the M&M Factory and then the Hershey store. They each got plenty of candy to pig out on once they got back to the hotel.

            On their way back to the hotel they passed a one man stand selling bags of snacks, New York “dirty water”  hot dogs, and popcorn. Heather stopped and looked at the popcorn buckets.

            “Blood sister, what are you looking at?” Melina stopped and went to her best friend’s side.

            “Those popcorn buckets look familiar.”

            “They’re popcorn buckets Hermie,” Kelshie said.

            “I know where I’ve seen them before!” Heather exclaimed. “Brian holds that bucket in the popcorn poster we all want to get!”

            Jess shook her head, “Of course you would recognize which popcorn bucket Brian holds in a poster.”

            “Let’s take four,” Kelshie said.

            “I can’t take four,” Heather said almost astonished.

            “You are such a goody-two-shoes!” Kelshie laughed, “Nobody is at the stand and the popcorn is all gone so there is no use for the buckets.”

            “I don’t know,” Heather hesitated, “Although that would be pretty funny and cool to get them signed.”

            “The theme of the tour is a night at the movies with Backstreet,” Melina commented.

            Jess chuckled, “Let’s just take them to get them signed,”

            Heather chipped in, “Ok let’s get them.”

            Everyone laughed until Jess asked, “Who is going to steal them?”

            “Not me!” Heather and Melina said together.

            “You chickens,” Kelshie scoffed, “I’ll do it.”

            She casually stepped away from her friends, walked up to the stand, and grabbed four unused popcorn buckets. “There, was that so hard?” she said with a tint of annoyance in her voice.

            Heather was a little shocked. She giggled, “I can’t believe you did that.”

            “I can’t believe you recognized the stupid popcorn bucket!” Kelshie exclaimed and everyone else cracked up.

            The girls flopped on the beds when they got back in the room.

            “I am so tired,” Jess said rather dramatically.

            “I’m wiped out,” Heather commented, “but I want to do something.”

            “I do too but I feel gross and sweaty,” Melina said.

            It was a hot August day and the girls toured the city for most of it. They all had gotten enough exercise for a few weeks that day.

            They took turns taking showers then Kelshie suggested they play the BSB game. They always played that game the day before a concert.

            The game finished in a winning tie between Melina and Jess. They were on fire that night! Kelshie came in a close second and shockingly Heather came in last.

            “What the hell happened Hermie?” Kelshie asked. “You have never come in last.”

            She shrugged, “My mind is just clouded right now.”

            “What’s wrong?” Melina questioned.

            “I’ve been thinking about Rich.”

            “Again?” Jess asked.

            “Still,” Heather sighed. “I had a dream about him last night.”

            “Tell us,” Melina probed.

            “Well we were all at the after party and were dancing together. It was pretty crowded so I’m not sure if it was the actual concert or the after party to be honest but I do know that there wasn’t a lot of room to move. We were having a really good time and then someone tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around and there was a guy with a masquerade mask on. He asked, “You’re Heather, right?” I replied, “Yes but do I know you?” He smiled and said, “You’ve known me for a while.” He took off his mask and it was Rich. He smiled at me and then We’ve Got It Goin’ On woke me up.”

            “So you think he’s still alive?” Kelshie asked cautiously.

            “Yeah I do. The only other person I’ve told is Stephanie. I’ve always thought he was alive just never told anyone. I figured Rich had a good reason to disappear so I kept my thoughts to myself. I’ve been having a lot more dreams about him lately.”

            “Maybe you’ll find him soon,” Jess suggested.         

            “Please don’t get my hopes up like that.”

            “I’m sorry.”

            “It’s alright Jess. Is anybody else hungry for dinner?”

            The other girls raised their hands.

            “Let’s order room service because I don’t know about you guys but I don’t want to leave this room unless I absolutely have to.”

            Room service came just as Kelshie put in one of her favorite movies into the DVD player. She always brought a portion of her huge DVD collection when she was going to sleep over night no matter where she went.

            Heather answered the door with money in her hand “How much is it?”

            “It’s on the house miss,” the good looking worker said, “Sue has it covered.”

            “Oh ok then. I’ll have to call her and thank her. This is yours then,” she handed the worker a small tip.

            “Thank you miss,” he smiled gratefully.

            Once the door was closed Jess squealed, “Ooh he was cute!”

            “I knew you were going to say that,” Heather commented.

            As the night got longer Heather’s eye lids got heavier.

            “Hermie, you’re falling asleep,” Kelshie teased.

            “No shit Sherlock,” Heather sarcastically remarked. “You know I can’t stay up like you and Jess.”

            “I know.”

            “We need to set up our game plan before you go to sleep,” Jess said.

            “Game plan?” Melina was puzzled.

            “We always call dibs on which Boy is whose if we ever get to meet them and possibly get to know them a little bit better if you know what I mean,” Jess said with a wink.

            “Oh I get it,” Melina giggled.

            “Ok whose first to call dibs?” Kelshie asked.

            “Dibs on Nick!” Heather called without missing a beat using the last bit of energy she could wrangle up.

            “That was fast!” Melina’s eyes were wide with surprise.

            “Oh yeah Hermie doesn’t mess around when it comes to Nick Carter,” Kelshie informed.

            “Since you called Nick I’ll call AJ!”

            “Brian!” Kelshie and Jess screamed at the same time.

            Kelshie said quickly, “I’m getting him this time!”

            “No you had him last concert,” Jess argued. “Besides I tagged him as my property in every picture the three of us took of him that’s on Facebook.”

            “Fine you win…” Kelshie gave in, “This time. Just keep your eyes on him at all times because I might steal him from you.”

            Jess smiled widely, “Oh both of my eyes will be glued onto that sexy man!”

            Kelshie shrugged, “Eh at least Howie is hot too!”

            Melina was laughing as she said, “You girls are too funny!”

            Heather yawned loudly, “I’m going to bed. I set an alarm on my phone so we could get up and get ready at a reasonable time. I suggest you get some sleep also so you are not too cranky in the morning.” She gave a fake cough, “Jess.”

            “Yes ma’m Heather ma’m,” Kelshie and Jess saluted their sleepy friend.

            Heather smirked, rolled her eyes and shook her head.

            “I’m guessing you’re the leader of this group huh blood sis?” Melina grinned.

            “Good guess. Good night girlies. Have sweet dreams.”

            “Good night sis.”

            “Night Hermie,” Kelshie said.

            “Hope you dream of Mr. Carter tonight,” Jess joked.

            “I do too!” Heather smiled widely as she slipped under the covers. 

Chapter 10 by CarterFan28

Chapter 10

            It was 12 o’clock when Kevin Richardson’s voice called out from Heather’s phone, “Are you ready to party?!” then Larger Than Life started playing.

            Heather let the music continue to play as she exclaimed, “It’s finally August 26th! The concert is today!”

            “Yay!” the other three girls exclaimed.

            “What time is it?” Jess asked rubbing her eyes.

            “12,” Heather answered.

            “I’m hungry,” Kelshie commented.

            “So am I,” Heather agreed. “Let’s all get up so we can start to get ready. I don’t wanna be late.”

            Melina listened closely to the song playing from Heather’s phone, “Is this a live version of Larger Than Life?”

            “Yes it is blood sis,” Heather answered.

            “How did you get it?”

            “I recorded it when Kelshie, Jess and I went to the Into the Millennium tour and I put it onto my phone. I thought it was a good song to wake up to today.”

            “Why Hermie?” Kelshie asked.

            “Because we are going to party today!”

            Jess was still waking up, “I’m not getting the connection to partying and a live version of Larger Than Life.”

            “Remember the Millennium show started off with Kevin asking, ‘Are you ready to party?’ We are going to the After Party and Hermie is clearly ready to party today because she’s bouncing off the walls!” Kelshie explained.

            Jess started laughing, “I get it now! I feel so slow.”

            Heather shrugged, “Eh it’s ok you’re still waking up.”

            “So what’s the plan for today sis?” Melina asked as she stretched.

            “Well I have bagels, cream cheese and fruit and some juice for breakfast in the mini fridge so we can eat here, I say we all take showers now before we leave, and then go from there.”

            “That will probably be around 3:30 by the time everyone gets ready,” Kelshie commented.

            Heather got up and walked over to the mini fridge, “So who wants what?”

            The time pasted quickly for the girls as they ate their breakfast and took turns taking showers.

            As Melina and Heather Squared waited for Jess to finish getting ready, Kelshie peaked out the window across the street.

            “My God there are so many people on line already!”

            “Really?” Heather looked at where her friend was looking, “My God look at them all! But wait the little line is usually the VIP line so we can still get a good spot in line if we get out of here in a few minutes.”

            Just as Heather finished what she was saying Jess stepped out of the bathroom, “Ok let’s go. I want to get a good spot in line.”

            “Look out the window,” Kelshie pointed.

            Jess’s jaw dropped, “Please tell me the long line is for the non-VIPs.”

            “It most likely is,” Heather replied. “But we better get down there soon so we can be second in line after those girls.”

            The Backstreet Buds grabbed the popcorn buckets they wanted to get signed and their VIP passes and tickets then excitedly rushed out the door.

            They joined the other group of four girls that were in the VIP line first and started talking with them just to kill the time. A few minutes passed and some other fans started showing up and the line became longer as the fans were getting more anxious for the VIP experience to start.

            “I think it’s finally starting to hit me that I am actually going to meet the Backstreet Boys face to face today,” Heather said almost breathlessly. “It doesn’t seem real yet.”        

            “Oh it will seem real when you get arrested for rape!” Kelshie laughed out.

            “Hermie’s going to be arrested for rape?! What?!” Melina’s eyes went wide with utter shock!

            The other three girls laughed then Jess answered, “We have this ongoing joke that Hermie would jump up on stage and rape Nick Carter if she got the chance to because she loves him so much.”

            Melina laughed, “Uh oh! We’re going to have to keep an eye on her aren’t we?”

            Kelshie blurted out, “We’re going to have to hold her down before she gets the chance to jump on Nick!”

            Heather started to blush and her best friends jokingly pointed at her and continued laughing.    

            Once their giggle fit subsided the Backstreet Buds played “I Have a Basket” a few times until the game got tiring. Out of nowhere the girls started smelling cigarette smoke.

            “Do they have to be smoking while they’re standing this close to other people?” Kelshie asked sharply and quietly looking at the loud mouthed women standing behind them.

            “Kelshie calm down,” Heather warned.

            “They are so annoying!” Kelshie hissed.

            “I know they’re annoying just take deep breaths,” Heather said.

            The three women standing next in line were talking obnoxiously on top of smoking. Heather could see the steam starting to come out of Kelshie’s ears so she motioned with her hands for her best friend to chill out. She also shot Kelshie a look that said, “Don’t lose your head!”

            The smell of cigarette smoke became unbearable quickly and one of the girls in front of the Backstreet Buds started coughing.

            “This is just great,” one of the girls in the front of the line commented, “The smoke is giving her an asthma attack.”

            “See it’s not only us who are being bothered by it,” Kelshie said sharply.

            “Ok,” Heather said calmly, “Let Jess and me handle this so you don’t get in trouble.”

            “Yeah,” Jess agreed, “We don’t need you unleashing the Kelshie wrath!”

            “Excuse me,” Heather said politely to the three women behind them who were now singing I Want It That Way loudly and terribly, “Could you please put out your cigarettes? The girl in front of us is having trouble breathing because of the smoke.”

            “And we would prefer our clothes to not smell like smoke,” Jess added with a hint of annoyance in her voice.

            The ring leader of the three smokers took another puff of her cigarette and practically blew the disgusting smoke back in Jess’s face, “Who the fuck are you two the smoking police? It’s a free city block and you two don’t own it so we can smoke wherever we want to.”

            Now Kelshie snapped back at the rude, Brooklyn accented smoker, “That poor girl is now using an inhaler you insensitive jerk!”

            The heavy set smoker looked down at Kelshie and snidely replied, “What are you going to do about it Shorty?”

            “Shorty?!” Kelshie’s face turned a slight hint of red.

            “Oh shit here we go,” Heather whispered to Jess.

            “Shorty?! You did not just call me Shorty?!” Kelshie’s voice raised a few decibels.

            “Yes I did,” the smoker was now getting into Kelshie’s face. She took another puff from her cigarette, “What you gunna do about it small fry?”

            Kelshie screamed and lunged for the smoker’s throat. Hermie and Jess grabbed her and held her back.  Melina stood frozen not knowing how to react to the fight starting in front of her.

            “How dare you call me Shorty!”

            “Melina, help us hold her back!” Hermie pleaded.

            Melina reached for one of Kelshie’s belt loops and tried her hardest to hold back the little bundle of fire.

            “We need some help over here!” some other fan waiting in line called out.

            “Ok break it up! Break it up!” one of the concert hall’s security guards got in between the screaming girls, “What’s going on here?”

            “We only asked them to put out their cigarettes because the girl in front of us is having an asthma attack sir,” Jess explained.

            Another security guard rushed to the girl using her inhaler, “Are you ok ma’m?”

            “She’ll be ok once they put out their cigarettes,” her friend answered.

            “Ladies please put out the cigarettes,” the guard said sternly.

            The three smokers threw their cigarettes on the ground and stomped them out.

            The big guard that was standing between Kelshie and the inconsiderate smoker boomed, “Were the fists flying between you girls? Because if they were I’m going to have to take your tickets and I won’t let you in.”

            “We got between them before they had the chance to sir,” Heather answered.

            “OK then. I’m glad you got in the middle of them because that would have been a shame to take away your VIP tickets,” the guard said.

            “Wait,” a blonde smoker spoke up, “this is the VIP line?”

            “Yes,” the guard replied rather confused, “Don’t you have VIP passes?”

            “Girls, we’re in the wrong line!” she half laughed. Her friends rolled their eyes as the security guard pointed them to the back of the long line for non-VIP fans.

            The Backstreet Buds looked at each other and said at the same time, “Wow.”

            “So did you girls know each other or are you just wearing the same shirt by coincidence?” the big guard asked the Backstreet Buds.

            “You were correct the first time,” Kelshie answered. It was pretty obvious that the four girls knew each other because they wore the same purple shirt with the words, “Backstreet Buds August 26th, 2010 NYC” in bold white letters written on the front. On the backs the girls had written their names.

            The guard’s walkie talkie went off and he excused himself from the girls.

            “Well that was a little awkward,” Kelshie rolled her eyes.

            “I agree Kelshie,” Heather nodded her head.

            “Excuse me,” they heard a voice say from behind them.

            They turned around to see the woman they were defending.

            “I just wanted to thank you for standing up for me like that.”

            “Oh you’re welcome,” Kelshie smiled. “I felt really bad and I had to do or say something.”

            “And at least we don’t have to put up with them for the VIP package,” the girl grinned.

            Heather nodded her head, “That’s a plus.”

            In a few minutes the doors opened to the VIP pass holders and the Backstreet Buds got even more excited with each step they took.

            “Thanks again girls. I greatly appreciate it,” the woman flashed a kind smile to the Backstreet Buds then returned to her group of friends.

            The first stop in the backstage tour was at the merchandise stand then when everyone purchased what they wanted the tour headed further backstage closer to the Boys.

            “I can’t wait to meet the Boys!” Melina squealed.

            Heather started shaking excitedly, “Me neither!”

            Kelshie chuckled, “If you’re this excited already Hermie I’m kind of scared to see how you are going to react when you actually meet them!”

            Jess added, “You better not pass out on us! I may not be as quick as I was to catch you like I caught Kelshie. I might be to star struck to move!”

            “Ok ladies,” the tour guide said, “This is the end of the tour. I will show you into the stage area where the meet and greet, question and answer and finally the sound check will take place. After that it won’t be long until the show starts.”

            All of the girls screamed and clapped their hands excitedly. Someone called out, “Finally!”         

            Out of nowhere Kelshie started giggling.

            “What’s so funny Kelshie?” Jess asked as she started laughing with her friend.

            “I can’t believe I just screamed like a girly girl!”

            Heather was a little shocked, “You screamed like a girly girl?! You must be excited because you are the farthest thing from a girly girl.”

            “I know,” Kelshie answered. “That was a little scary. I didn’t know I could do that.”

            The girls formed a single file line as the guide instructed them to. This was the last line they would be waiting in until the meet and greet.

Chapter 11 by CarterFan28

Chapter 11

            “Alright girls,” the guide smiled, “the moment you have all been waiting for is here. Right through those doors are the Backstreet Boys waiting eagerly to meet you all. Get your cameras and things you want to get signed ready. Groups go in one by one and each of you will meet each Boy, get something signed, and then have your picture taken. After your picture please take a seat for the Q and A and sound check. Have fun ladies.”

            “I am getting way too excited!” Melina squealed.

            “We have all waited a long time for this!” Jess said.

            “Yeah like 17 years!” Kelshie commented.

            Heather shook her head slowly, “I can’t believe that we have been BSB fans for most of our lives. It’s been a long time.”

            “It has been a long time,” Kelshie agreed. “But you have to admit the wait of all those years will be worth it tonight.”

            The other three grinned widely and nodded their heads vigorously.

            The doors opened and the first group was lead inside.        

            “Only a few minutes until it’s our turn,” Heather thought to herself. “Just stay calm. They are normal people just like you. Except they are super hot, have amazing singing voices, and you have been in love with them for seventeen years! Just try to stay calm.”

            “Melina,” Heather spoke out loud. “Do you want to go in first?”

            She shook her head frantically, “I’d rather go in after you. I’m too nervous to go in first.”

            “Ok then who wants to go first?” Heather looked around at her friends and nobody volunteered. “Ok I’ll go first.”

            “Yeah it’s no big deal that you’re going first Heather,” she thought to herself again, “Just relax.”

            Someone opened the door to the stage area wide enough for Heather to catch a peak at the Boys talking with the first group of fans.

            “I’ll go in first then Kelshie, Jess and Melina.”

            “Why are you putting the shortest one of us behind you the tallest one? I doubt that I’ll be able to catch you if you faint when you get inches away from Nick.”

            Heather smirked, “Because it will be payback for when you lunged at that smoker when I crush you! And besides, I want to meet Nick before you.”

            “Hey!” Jess exclaimed, “That means I’ll be the one catching both of you.”

            “But I’ll be catching all three of you!” Melina argued.

            “We’ll look like a row of dominos!” Heather laughed out. “Also I lined you up this way because I got a glance at how the Boys are lined up. This way we’ll stand by the Boy we dibbed for the pictures.”

            “Gotcha,” Kelshie nodded.

            The guide stepped up to the Backstreet Buds, “Ok ladies, it’s your turn.”

            They squealed then Heather quickly turned around and said breathlessly, “Just try to stay calm guys.”

            “Oh yeah look who’s talking!” Kelshie sarcastically remarked.

            Heather stepped through the door and her heart almost stopped when she saw the Backstreet Boys smile at her. They were just a few feet from her. She couldn’t believe this was real! As she got closer and closer her heart started beating faster and faster. She thought it was going to explode! Then it slowed down when she remembered her own advice.

            She first shook AJ’s hand, then Brian’s, Howie’s and finally Nick’s.

            “Hi, I’m Heather,” she smiled sweetly at her favorite singer and celebrity crush.  

            “It’s nice to meet you Heather,” he looked into her eyes and smiled back. That made Heather’s heart go into over drive yet she stayed calm. Each of the Boys were very friendly and looked each of their fans in the eye but Heather was liking the way Nick was looking at her now.

            After the girls introduced themselves Brian said, “Is it confusing with two Heathers?”

            The girls giggled and they couldn’t stop smiling. They were only able to say their names when Backstreet asked them. Heather was the calmest one so she answered, “Well we got used to it after a while.”

            “I’m guessing you have known each other for a while then huh?” Howie questioned.

            Again Heather was the only one who could form actual words, “Jess, Heather and I grew up together ever since Kindergarten. And Melina and I met on the Backstreet website a few years ago but it feels like we have known each other since we were young. Right Melina?”

            Melina nodded her head and felt her nerves drain enough to add, “Yeah it does feel like we have known each other for a lot longer than a few years.”

            “Where are you from Melina?” AJ asked noticing her accent.

            “I’m from Germany.”

            “You came all the way from Germany to meet us?”

            “Yes I did.”

            “Wow,” AJ seemed stunned. “That’s awesome. You didn’t make that long journey just to meet us did you? We do tour in Germany ya know.” He smiled at her and she blushed.

            “I want to say that the trip was just for BSB but I would be lying. I came to America to spend time with my Backstreet Buds here and I wanted to share the experience of meeting you guys with them. They’re my best friends.”

            “That’s sweet,” AJ smiled.

            “I have to say that you’re music gave us another reason to be best friends,” Heather commented. “It created a stronger bond between us.”

            “You’re the first group to tell us that,” Brian spoke, “That means a lot to us.”

            “You guys mean a lot to us,” Jess spoke up for the first time.

            “Yeah Jess is right,” Kelshie blurted out.

            “What would you girls like to have us sign?” Nick asked.

            “I know it’s weird,” Heather started, “but could you sign these popcorn buckets for us? We found them yesterday and we recognized them from the popcorn poster you guys are in. And they tie in with the whole night at the movies theme.”

            “Of course we’ll sign your popcorn buckets,” Brian smiled.

            Howie added, “We have never signed popcorn buckets before. That’s pretty original. I like it.”

            Melina handed her bucket to AJ first and he exclaimed, “My God! They are the same popcorn buckets!”

            “You girls must be diehard fans huh?” Nick smirked.

            “I guess you can say that,” Heather replied calmly. The rest of the girls kept looking at each other as they handed their own bucket to each Boy. They were on the verge of losing their calm and jumping up and down with excitement but they followed Heather’s example.

            “Picture time,” the man holding a camera said once each bucket was signed. “I’ll take your cameras as well girls.”

            They handed over their cameras then smiled widely as they each stood by their favorite Boy. 

            The lights flashed then the cameras were handed back to their owners.

            “Now you can go take a seat, ladies,” the camera man said.

            “Before I sit down I just wanted to thank all of you for singing the song Never Gone. My mother passed away in 2006 and that song brought me the only comfort I could find. She and I were very close and that song helped me come to terms with her death because it made me believe that she will be never gone as long as she’s in my heart. Thank you very much for that song. And I really wanted to say thank you to Kevin but I got VIP tickets a little too late.”

            “Don’t worry,” Brian assured, “I’ll personally relay the message to him. It’s going to mean a lot to him to find out that song means a lot to you.”

            “Thank you Brian.”

            “You’re welcome.”

            “And I’m speaking for everyone, including Kevin, when I say thank you for being a fan.”

            “You’re welcome Brian.”

            The Boys hugged each of the Backstreet Buds before they sat down following Brian’s example.

            “I can’t believe that you were the calmest one!” Jess said in an excited half whisper to Heather.

            “I can’t believe it myself!” Heather looked down at her hands, “And now I’m shaking!”

            The girls laughed then talked excitedly about what they had just experienced. As the girls talked the time pasted by quickly. Heather was a little dazed by what just happened and to add to that she noticed that Nick kept sneaking quick glances at her in between meeting other fans. At one point their eyes meet and Heather sent a cute, flirty smile at him. He winked back. A warm, tingling sensation shot up Heather’s back and she got this feeling that something big was going to happen that night.

            About ten minutes later the Boys went on stage for the Q and A session.

            Heather was the last person to ask a question before the sound check, “My question is for Nick. In The Hollow, was that actually you riding that horse or was that a stunt double? Do you know how to horseback ride?”

            “I do know how to ride actually. One of my exes owned horses and she taught me. And yes that is actually me; I did my own stunts for that movie.”

            “Oh cool. Thank you.”

            “You’re welcome.”

            “DJ Lani,” Howie called out, “Can you please come on out here and warm us up?”

            Another guy walked out on stage and AJ introduced him as DJ Lani, he was in charge of all the backup music for the show because BSB didn’t have a band backing them up for the This Is Us tour. He was a good looking guy. He was a little bit shorter than Nick and he was pretty muscular. His hair was cut short and his eyes looked gray. Not blue or green but a color that was somewhere in between.

            DJ Lani looked into the rows of VIPs and caught Heather’s eye. She looked at him for an extended moment and thought to herself, “He looks so familiar.”

            “Hermie you ok?” Jess leaned over and whispered to her.

            “Yeah I’m fine,” Heather answered, “It’s just that the DJ looks very familiar. I’ve seen him before I just don’t know where.”     

            Jess took another look at him who was now sitting behind his DJ stand, “You’re right. He does look familiar.”

            After BSB warmed up and performed a few songs, it was time for the fans to find their seats. Every group of fans got up and found their seats in the stands. The Backstreet Buds were the only ones who stayed in the standing area.

            “So ladies,” Nick came over to where they were standing. He kneeled down and asked, “Will I be seeing you at the After Party tonight?”

            “Yes you will,” Heather answered.

            “Sweet, I’ll make sure to hang out with you guys. I’d like to talk with you ladies some more.”

            “I’d like that,” Heather answered smoothly.

            “If you would like I could take you’re posters and popcorn buckets backstage with me now so they don’t get crushed, unless you’re taking your time going to your seats.”

            “No we have tickets for the standing area. And are you sure you can do that?”

            “Yeah, it’s no problem. I know how much you guys pay for all that stuff and I also know how crazy fans in the standing area can be. I’ll take them backstage and lock them in the dressing room. They’ll be safe and you can get them during the After Party.”

            “Ok,” Heather handed over her merchandise and popcorn bucket then her friends did the same, “Thank you Nick. This is very sweet of you.”

            “No problem.” He looked into Heather’s eyes and winked again.

            She felt her lips curve into a flirty little smile.

            “Enjoy the show ladies,” Nick said before walking back stage toward the dressing room.

            “Thank you,” Heather called back, “Break a leg.”

            “Thanks.”

            Once Nick slipped behind the thick black curtain Jess looked wide eyed at Heather.

            Heather snapped out of the little trance she was in and asked, “What?”

            “You little flirt! I can’t believe it! Since when have you been that flirty?!”

            “What do you mean?”

            “You’re voice became sweeter than usual and you couldn’t get that playful little smile off our face! And Nick was flirting right back!”

            “He was not. He was just being nice.”

            “He was being nice because he was flirting!” Jess nearly screamed. “Open your eyes Hermie! You might be going to Nick’s hotel room tonight if you two keep flirting like that!”

            “You lucky bitch!” Kelshie called out.

            Heather just laughed it off, “I highly doubt that Nick Carter is going to bring me back to his hotel room tonight. Like I said he was just being nice. And he seems down to earth so I doubt he would be that rockstar-ish.”

            “You never know,” Kelshie commented. “But you have to admit Hermie, is this not your dream come true or what?! You got to meet BSB, Nick is being flirty with you and later on he’s going to hang out with you.”

            “He said he was going to hang out with us.

            “Bull shit!” Jess called out. “He’s clearly going to hang out with you alone and the three of us will be spying on you.”

            “Yeah and place bets on how long it takes before he kisses you then whisks you away to seduce you!” Kelshie teased.

            Heather could feel her cheeks start to blush, “Shut up!”   

            Meanwhile backstage as Backstreet were getting ready for the show, Nick was getting teased by his band mates.

            “So which one of those girls in purple were you flirting with?” Brian asked. “Let me guess the tallest brunette with the brown eyes and hourglass figure?” 

            Nick shrugged his shoulders, “I think she’s pretty hot and she could actually speak to us without flipping out or fainting.”

            “Just pretty hot? Dude, you’re kidding right? She probably made you stiff,” Howie said.

            “Maybe she did, maybe she didn’t,” Nick answered without any emotion.

            “And what’s the deal with bringing their posters and popcorn buckets backstage?” AJ asked.

            “I’m preventing them from getting crushed. You know how crazy it gets in that standing area. They’re going to the After Party so they’ll pick the stuff up then.”

            “I know what you’re doing,” AJ chuckled.

            “What am I doing?” Nick asked as he rolled his eyes.

            “You’re setting up bait for that tall brunette to go back to the dressing room with you just so you could get her all to yourself! You sly dog!”

            “That is not what I am doing. Trust me. I was just being nice.”

            “Sure,” AJ sang out, “Sure you were.”   

Chapter 12 by CarterFan28

Chapter 12

            It wasn’t long until every seat in the concert hall was filled and the standing area became packed. Right before the lights dimmed Melina was almost knocked off balance by someone but Heather, who was standing on her right, caught her.

            “What was that?” Heather questioned.

            She looked pasted her friend and saw two women scuffle over something. Security guards came in to the standing area and immediately everyone who witnessed the fight pointed to the two women trying to rip each other’s hair out.  One of woman’s boyfriends was trying his hardest to stop the fight but he needed the help of the big, burly security guard. The two women who were fighting were escorted out of the concert hall and the people who came with them followed. The fans behind them quickly filled in the empty space they left behind in a mad push started from the back of the crowd. As the fighting women were dragged out, Heather noticed that one was the rude smoker that Kelshie almost strangled. Heather chuckled then nudged Jess next to her.

            “Look who is getting kicked out because she was fighting.”

            Jess laughed and pointed it out to Kelshie next to her.

            “Payback’s a bitch!” Kelshie laughed out.

            A few minutes passed and then the voice of an announcer boomed over the speakers, “Ladies and gentlemen please welcome the opening act for this evening, DJ Lani!”

            Melina whistled and started clapping her hands. She leaned over to Heather and informed, “He is really good. He was the opening act back home. He also plays the drums and plays all the music for Backstreet.”

            “Cool!” Heather answered over the noise of the crowd.

            The DJ walked in from backstage and the lights dimmed.

            “Hello to all the BSB fans out there! Welcome to the This Is Us world tour 2010! Let’s get this party started!”

            The DJ set to work playing music that everyone kept dancing to. The concert hall had the atmosphere of a popular night club with the music, light show, and the massive amount of people packed together. DJ Lani was on stage for 20 minutes before he said, “Are you ready for the Backstreet Boys?!”

            A resonating scream rang out from the crowd.

            “You call yourselves Backstreet Soldiers?” the DJ kidded, “I can’t hear you! I said are you ready for Backstreet?!”

            An even louder scream was thrown in the DJ’s direction.

            He smiled and nodded his head, “That’s more like it!”

            The last song finished and there were a few moments of silence until the noise of a filled concert hall started again. Everyone was getting antsy for the show to begin.

            Heather kept getting the strange feeling that someone was watching her. She looked up to find the DJ’s light eyes looking at her. She grinned at him and he smoothly nodded his head back at her.

            “Why does he look so familiar?” she asked herself. She shrugged it off and waited for the concert to begin.

            But DJ Lani kept looking at her. It was like he was hypnotized by her. He tried to focus on his job of setting up the music but he could only focus on the tall, brown haired girl standing right next to the edge of the stage. He had seen her before but he didn’t know where. The fact that this stranger was so familiar was driving him crazy!

            “A lot of girls look like her,” he said in his mind, “Or maybe she was at another show.”

            He kept looking at her and thought about where he had seen her before. He watched as she laughed at something one of her friends said and his eyes went wide when he recognized her smile.

            “It can’t be,” he thought, “Is it really her?”  

            His thoughts were interrupted by his boss’s voice coming from his ear piece, “Get ready the show’s starting now.”

            DJ Lani snapped out of the little trance he was in and watched as the video starting the show was projected onto the huge screen behind him. He could feel the excitement coming from the crowd.

            “Damn! The Boys didn’t even hit the stage yet,” he commented in his head. “This is going to be a really good show tonight.”

            When the Boys did hit the stage the crowd went hysterical! The scream that came from the packed concert hall was deafening and DJ Lani could tell by the way the Boys were acting that they were feeling the energy given off from the crowd right from the start. They were big hams and the more screams, whistles and applause that they heard the better they performed. The DJ himself was a ham. He knew all the noise and camera flashes were for Backstreet but he liked to pretend that a little portion of the noise was for him.

            The Boys started the show off with the ever popular Everybody Backstreet’s Back, and what a great way to start the show off right. The crowd was singing along and dancing and they continued during We’ve Got It Goin’ On and PDA. Then the crowd was hit with two all time favorites: Quit Playing Games with My Heart and As Long As You Love Me.

            Heather got really excited when she heard As Long As You Love Me. She turned to Jess and Kelshie. The three girls started jumping up and down together exclaiming, “Our first song!”

            Melina giggled at her friends. Little did she know that they did that at every single concert they went to.  

            The Backstreet Buds were loving being right next to the stage. It was like they were getting special attention from the Boys because they were so close and in the middle. Heather really loved when the Boys performed This Is Us. Nick came right up to her during his part and made eye contact with her while he sang. Then toward the end of the song he held this incredible note for a full, continuous 10 or 15 seconds! His voice was so powerful and he only took one, single breath before belting out that note. He was standing right in front of Heather and her heart almost stopped. She felt all this energy and passion coming from him it was unbelievable! It was like nothing she had ever felt before and she got every second of that amazing performance on video, up close and personal.     

            Once Nick ended the song the crowd roared! He smiled braggingly but Heather couldn’t blame him. He knew how to show off and a voice like his needed to be shown off. Before he turned to join the other three Backstreet Boys, he looked down at Heather and winked at her. She felt her lips curve into a blushing smile and her face become hot. Nick Carter just winked at her! Out of all the girls at the concert he looked directly at her and winked at her!

            Her mood changed when she heard the next song. It was Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely. She loved that song but it always made her sad. Whenever she heard the touching, deep lyrics and sorrowful music, she would think of her beloved grandparents. Her grandfather died after her high school graduation in 1999 but it was still painful for her to think about him and his agonizing battle with cancer. Her grandmother tried her hardest to keep the family together for four years after the man she loved the most was buried. She became tired of living with a broken heart and lived long enough to see Heather graduate college. There were only two songs in the world that could make her shed tears, Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely and Never Gone, and tonight the Boys were putting tons of emotion into SMTMOBL and it became too much for Heather to handle.

            She sang along silently as she recorded the song on her digital camera. She could feel the emotion rise and her eyes start to swell with tears.

            Melina saw her friend’s tears run down her cheeks. She leaned in close enough for Heather to hear her say, “I always think of someone too when I hear this song.”

            Jess comfortingly wrapped her arm around Heather’s shoulder. She had a feeling that Heather was thinking of her grandparents, and for the most part Jess was right.

            Heather wiped away a few tears from her face and mouthed the words, “I love and miss you both Grandma and Grandpa.” After saying that she couldn’t help but think, “God damn, this is another song that reminds me of Rich. He’s the one who is really missing in my heart.”

            The mood changed once again when All I Have to Give started to play. Nick noticed Heather’s tears and instead of looking out into the crowd as he sang, he zeroed in on Heather as he sang, “I don’t know what he does to make you cry/But I’ll be there to make you smile”.  He flashed a cute, kindness filled smile at her and she blushed back.

            “I must be dreaming! Nick Carter is actually trying to make me feel better!” She couldn’t take her eyes off of him. He looked over his shoulder at one point and saw that she was still a little down so he made a funny face. “It’s working!”  

            After All I Have to Give came She’s a Dream. Then after She’s A Dream, AJ announced, “Ladies! It’s time to get a little slower and intimate. To all the guys out there who came with their girls, it’s time to get a little closer and it helps if you know the words to this one.”

            The light show behind the Boys turned to cool, sultry colors and their most romantic song, I’ll Never Break Your Heart, started.

            Jess tapped Heather on the shoulder, “Look around us. We are surrounded by couples. I think we are the only ones who don’t have someone to cuddle with during this song.”

            Heather chuckled. Although she knew how Jess felt. It had been a while since all of the Backstreet Buds had boyfriends. She suddenly felt lonely and she could tell Jess and Kelshie were feeling the same way when she looked at their pouting faces.

            Melina commented, “Why are they looking so sad?”

            “They are feeling lonely because look around us, we’re the only ones who don’t have dates.”

            Melina looked around like Heather said then she pouted at her friend.

            Heather giggled, “See what I mean?”

            It didn’t take long for Backstreet to distract the girls. Each Boy was holding a single red rose that they were going to hand to one lucky fan of their choice.

            The Boys were really putting on the charm and being really sexy with the roses they were holding. Nick was especially hamming it up for the ladies. Heather guessed that he had to find something to occupy himself while AJ and Brian sang the leads.

            The first to give out his rose was AJ. He calmly walked the perimeter of the stage looking for someone to give his rose to. Just as he finished the opening verse, he knelt down directly in front of Melina and handed the beautiful, red flower to her. She was shocked! She wasn’t screaming his name and begging for the flower but she was very grateful for it. Before Brian started the second verse and before AJ returned to his spot with the rest of Backstreet he took hold of Melina’s hand and kissed it.

            Melina was speechless— and so were the rest of the Backstreet Buds for that matter—yet she stayed calm until he turned his back on her and she slowly fell onto Heather.

            “Are you ok?” Heather said in a half laugh.

            “I’m fine,” she answered breathlessly. “I just can’t believe it! I got AJ’s rose!”

            Brian was the second to give his rose away. Jess watched intently as he looked into the standing area. Surprisingly she was calm but her mind was screaming, “PLEASE GIVE ME THE ROSE!”

            Jess’s eyes never strayed from her favorite Backstreet Boy as he looked for his choice. Her heart started to pound faster as he made his way in her direction. Brian looked directly into Jess’s eyes and she smiled sweetly. He bent over and extended his rose toward Jess. She smoothly accepted and he smiled widely at her. After Brian turned away Jess screamed excitedly and jumped up and down! Heather laughed at her friend’s pure joy. Jess had never been that fan girlish before. Heather was usually the most fan girlish out of her best friends.

            Luck was definitely on the Backstreet Bud’s side that night because Kelshie received Howie’s rose. She flipped out! Heather was astonished at how fan girlish Kelshie was acting. She was jumping up and down, and clutching the rose tightly. A woman standing next to her wearing a “Future Mrs. Dorough” shirt tried to take it from her. Kelshie screamed, “Back off bitch!” and ripped the rose away from her. She nearly snarled at the woman and shot her the dirtiest look in the world. The cliché was right; if looks could kill Kelshie would have been convicted for murder at a Backstreet Boys concert. The woman backed away from Kelshie and hid behind her boyfriend.

            Finally it was Nick’s turn to give his rose away. He was the only one who already knew who he was going to give his rose to. During the final chorus, he got off of his stool and walked slowly toward the edge of the stage.

            “He is so friggin’ sexy!” Heather thought as she watched him. “And who is he making a bee line to?”

            Just as the song was finishing Nick knelt down right in front of Heather and sang the last words to her. He stared into her eyes as he did so and Heather froze. She was amazed! He handed her the rose and flashed a shining smile. She blushed and grinned widely back. He once again winked at her and she felt a tingling sensation run up her spine as she cutely sniffed the perfect rose.

            The rest of the concert consisted of the Backstreet Buds’ favorite songs. They all agreed that it was by far the best performance they had seen live. After the Boys’ final bow the crowd started to file out of the concert hall.

            “Melina grab onto my shirt, Jess hold onto Kelshie’s and I’ll grab hold of yours so we don’t get separated. And if we do get separated we’ll all meet in the hotel lobby,” Heather called out to her friends. They did as she directed and Kelshie started to follow the rest of the crowd.

            “Excuse me ladies,” a big, bulky security guard said stopping Kelshie, “Please follow me.”

            Kelshie—like her friends—became confused. She looked at her friends behind her then asked, “Did we do something wrong sir?”

            “Don’t worry ladies. I’m just giving you the opportunity to have your picture taken with the Boys who gave you the roses.”

            The girls looked at each other and nearly screamed.

            The guard lead them back stage where the Boys were waiting to take a quick picture with them.

            “Did you guys plan this?” the guard chuckled. “Thanks if you did because it was easier to pick the group out of the crowd than individuals.”

            “We didn’t plan that out actually,” Nick replied. “Although I did give her the rose on purpose,” he thought silently.

            “It’s nice to see you girls again,” Brian smiled.

            The girls stood by the Boys who gave them the roses.

            After the picture was snapped Nick whispered in Heather’s ear, “I’ll see you at the after party right?”

            “Of course.”

            “Awesome,” he smiled smoothly, “I’ll see you later then.”

            “I’ll see you later,” she said back.

            The girls said thank you for the roses then made their way out the door.

            “That’s the girl you want to get with tonight isn’t it?” AJ asked Nick when the girls were out of sight.

            “Shut up man.”

            “She’s the one you’re holding her concert merchandise hostage right?” Howie pried.

            Nick didn’t say a word.

            “Nick, just try to behave tonight,” Brian said. “Don’t be stupid by having a one night fling and breaking one of your biggest fan’s heart.”

            “Who said I was trying to have a fling tonight? I was being nice.”

            “And the rose was just a coincidence,” Howie said sarcastically.

            “It might have been.”

            “We all saw you go right for her!” AJ exclaimed.  

            Nick didn’t say a thing he just kept walking to his dressing room so he could get ready for the After Party.

            Meanwhile the Backstreet Buds dashed across the street for the hotel. 

Chapter 13 by CarterFan28

Chapter 13

            The Backstreet Buds weren’t the only fans who were running madly to the hotel. It was a good thing they were holding on to each other or else they would have gotten trampled. Once they got back up to their room they looked at each other and started laughing.

            “My God Backstreet fans are crazy!” Kelshie exclaimed.

            “Now we have an idea of who else will be at the After Party,” Jess said.

            “Yeah the craziest of the fans!” Heather started to chuckle, “Including us!”

            The girls helped each other into their dresses and did each other’s make up. They were all looking gorgeous and were getting pumped for their performance of Unmistakable.

            After high heels were slipped on and perfume was sprayed, the Backstreet Buds made their way toward the elevator. They were taking their time because the speedy girls took only half of the hour they were given before the party to get dressed. Their timing was perfect for they were the first ones to show up for the party.

            The guard checking VIP passes let them in the concert hall early so they wouldn’t have to wait outside. They were guided back into the standing area that was set up with tables and chairs. It was like a different place than it had been before. The girls couldn’t believe how empty it was now that the seats were unoccupied. Once again the concert hall felt like a popular night club once the party started.

            Everyone was wearing masks like they were instructed to do before the DJ started playing music and Backstreet came from backstage. The first song that was played was Masquerade. As Backstreet sang they danced with lucky fans here and there but the Backstreet Buds were the ones who got the most attention from the Boys. They had come up with their own choreography for the song when they were bored one rainy day and the Boys were impressed by their moves.

            Heather could hear Nick’s voice get louder when he started singing, “I gotta know the girl behind the mask/Let me in to where you been don’t pretend.”

            He was making his way smoothly over to her. He was looking straight into her eyes as he sang and fell into step with her. Heather was awestruck. She didn’t know what else to do beside continue dancing with her best friends. She was amazed at how Nick was dancing with her. It was almost like he knew what her every move was going to be, like they had planned this before yet they had first met each other just a few hours prior.

            “I must be dreaming!” was the only thing Heather could think as she watched Nick dance.

            At the end of the song Nick stood in front of Heather for a few seconds before he asked quietly, “Can I remove your mask?”

            “Sure.”

            He raised his hands slowly to her face and gently lifted her purple mask off her face. He smiled cutely when he recognized her, “I was hoping it was you.”

            Heather blushed slightly then replied, “I told ya you would see me here.”

            “You’re name is Heather right?”

            “He remembers my name!” she screamed in her head but answered calmly, “Yes it is.”

            “I remember you came with the other girl named Heather and the girl from Germany, I believe her name is Melina, and your other friend I think is Jess? Did I get that right?”

            “Yes you did. How’d you remember? You must have met hundreds of fans tonight.”

            “You were all wearing purple and were the calmest ones we met. Plus you touched all of us with what you said.”

            “I’m flattered.”

            “And I needed to find you so I could give you your stuff.”

            “I almost forgot about that. I’ll get it before we leave.”

            “Sounds good to me,” Nick grinned. “Will you be singing in the Backstreet Challenge tonight?”

            “My best friends and I yes. We’re excited about it. We’ve been working very hard on our song.”

            “What are you singing?”

            “You’ll see.”

            “Keeping it a surprise huh?”

            “Yes. I find performances turn out better that way.”

            “Well would you mind if I hang out with you and your friends tonight?”

            Heather smiled, “I wouldn’t mind at all. It’s your party anyway.”

            Nick chuckled, “You have a point there.”

            They looked at each other for a few silent seconds until Nick asked, “Would you like to be my date tonight?”

            She was shocked, “I’d love to.”

            He smiled, “Awesome.”         

            Heather could see her friends, who were watching her intensely, out of the corner of her eye. They had their share of talking with AJ, Howie and Brian but they were doing their best to mix and mingle with all of the fans that were there.

            The three other Boys headed toward Nick and Heather. They exchanged a few words then Nick had to go mix and mingle with the rest of the fans until the Backstreet Challenge started. Heather made her way back to her friends.

            “You are one lucky bitch!” Jess exclaimed.

            “I can’t believe that Nick Carter is flirting with you!” Kelshie nearly screamed.

            “He is not flirting with me.”

            “If he’s not flirting with you than I’m not from Germany,” Melina replied sarcastically.

            “Ok maybe he is flirting a little bit.”

            “A little bit?!” Jess was almost speechless, “He can’t stop looking at you!”

            “Jess, keep your voice down,” Heather half laughed.

            “Yeah we don’t want the other fans getting jealous of Hermie,” Kelshie joked.          

            Heather rolled her eyes and her friends laughed.

            Nick was just about to walk back over to them when DJ Lani’s voice came over the microphone, “Are you ladies ready for the Backstreet Karaoke Challenge?”

            The crowd cheered then got quiet when he asked, “Ok who’s first?”

            No one volunteered and he chuckled. The Backstreet Boys took their seats.

            “Ok then I’ll go first. I have a feeling that all of you would know this song. It’s from a little CD called Never Gone. No it’s not Incomplete but it is another single; it’s I Still. I always dedicate this song to my best friend who I lost contact with unfortunately because of a stupid, stupid mistake I made a few years back. Whenever we have one of these Karaoke Challenges I always sing I Still in hopes that she’s listening. So this is to you Bud. I hope you’re out there tonight.”

            “That is so sweet!” Melina commented.

            Heather nodded her head. Her eyes became glued onto the masked DJ who started singing, “Who are you now? / Are you still the same or did you change somehow? / What do you do at this very moment when I think of you? / And when I’m looking back when we were young and stupid/ Do you remember that?”

            Her breath was taken away. She had heard his voice before, she was convinced of it. But where?

            Kelshie leaned over to her, “He’s really good!”

            Heather agreed then asked, “Does he sound very familiar to you?”

            “He does. Do you think it’s…”

            Heather shook her head cutting her off, “I can’t say. It’s been so long.”

            The DJ’s voice was so pure and strong. He was singing with just the right amount of emotion that it sounded like I Still was written for him to sing—that’s if it was intended to be a solo song. Heather was amazed because usually she hated when someone other than Backstreet sang one of their songs but she loved this guy’s voice and his interpretation of the song. DJ Lani was giving her chills.

            When he finished the song the crowd exploded in applause. Everyone was clapping and screaming for him, except for Heather. She couldn’t move or speak she was so awed.

            The only thing she could think was, “Wow! He’s good! He’s really good!”

            AJ jumped on stage and exclaimed, “DJ Lani my man! That was the best version of that song you have ever sung by far! I’m telling you man, you can be Kevin’s replacement.”

            “Oh please. I would never replace Kevin.” The DJ chuckled, “Kevin’s fans would hate me for taking his place.”

            “Alright girls,” AJ looked into the crowd, “Whose next?”

            Jess asked, “Do we want to go now?”

            Her three best friends replied in unison, “No!”

            The first group to sing performed I Want It That Way and they were ok but not the greatest. The groups after them performed I’ll Never Break Your Heart, Treat Me Right, and Inconsolable. Each group’s talent increased as time went by. The second to last group performed Just Want You To Know and they impressed both the Backstreet Boys and the Backstreet Buds.

            “It looks like we have competition after all,” Heather commented in her head.

            Kelshie looked over at Heather with a worried look on her face, “Ok now I’m scared.”

            “Kelshie be confident!” Heather reassured, “We’re going to blow them away!”

            The Backstreet Buds were the last to go.

            “What is your group name, girls? And what are you going to sing?” AJ asked before the song started.

            “We are…” Heather said the first thing that came to her mind after looking at her best friends, “JMH Squared and we will be singing Unmistakable.”

            “Nice! I think I can speak for all of Backstreet when I say that Unmistakable is one of our favorite songs,” AJ grinned sweetly. “Have fun and break a leg.”

            “Ready?” Heather asked her friends. They all nodded calmly and set themselves up for their routine.

            The music started and the girls were spot on with their choreography when Jess sang the first verse—Brian’s part. The transition between Jess and Melina (Brian’s part into AJ’s) was smooth just as they practiced it and Heather was pleased with how well the song was starting off. The girls hit the crowd with dead accurate harmony when all four sang the first chorus together. Their dance moves were just as accurate as their correct notes they were hitting.

            Next came Heather’s solo. She artfully stepped to the front like they had planned and sang, “People say we’re watching our life through the glass/ Desperately waiting on a chance/ I know you’re out there holding on holding out for me.”

            She noticed that Nick was watching her intently and so was DJ Lani.

            Melina performed another smooth transition into her second part and the group powerfully sang the chorus after she was finished. After a quick bridge that the girls harmonized during, Kelshie got her chance to shine solo.

            Heather could tell that she was nervous but her voice was excellent! It was a good thing that she took a deep breath before her solo because it just made her voice more powerful and confidant sounding afterward.

            The girls finished the song together with perfect pitches and chill inducing emotion. The crowd loved them! They stood up and applauded when the song ended and Nick was whistling.

            “Awesome job girls!” AJ said into his microphone. “Now the other judges and I will vote on our winner.”

            He went back to the table that Backstreet was sitting at and they huddled together to discuss who they were going to choose.       

            Brian was the one to deliver the news, “And tonight’s winner of the Backstreet Karaoke Challenge is…” he paused for dramatic effect, “JMH Squared!”

            The Backstreet Buds contained themselves so that they wouldn’t upset the other groups. They were kind to the other groups even though they were given dirty looks.

            “And for winning the Backstreet Challenge, you now become our dates for the evening,” Howie informed.

            “You can choose which ever Backstreet Boy you want to spend the rest of the night with.”

            Jess turned to Kelshie, “I already called Brian!”

            Kelshie rolled her eyes, “I know! I’ll just hang out with you for the rest of the night.”

            Melina went straight to AJ and Nick made a bee line for Heather.

            “Do you still want to be my date or did you change your mind once you found out you could have any Backstreet Boy you want?” he asked.

            Heather smiled up at him, “I didn’t change my mind. You’re my favorite anyway.”

            “I didn’t know that.” He joked, “I knew I liked you for some reason.”

            From that point on Nick and Heather spent the rest of the night together dancing and talking. The other Backstreet Boys and Buds spent time together as well but not as much as Nick and Heather.

            “I can’t believe how flirty they both are!” Jess exclaimed in an excited whisper.

            “Do you think they’ll spend the night together?” Kelshie asked.

            “Nah, Hermie’s too much of a goody-two-shoes to do that.”

            “I don’t know about that Jess.”

            “It is Nick Carter who is flirting with her,” Melina added in.

            “You have a really, really good point there,” Jess nodded.

            Nick couldn’t keep his eyes of the girl standing in front of him, talking with him.  As the night went on he could feel something between them getting stronger. He only hoped that she could feel it too.

            “She’s amazing,” he thought to himself.

            They were talking about anything and everything and Nick found it incredibly easy to talk to her. He had to spend more time with her somehow.

            “I hate to tell all of you this,” DJ Lani’s voice came on over the music, “But the party is almost over. We have about ten minutes and then the owners of the concert hall are kicking us out.”

            “Do you want to pick up your stuff from my dressing room now?” Nick asked.

            “Sure. Let me just tell me friends that I’ll be right back.”

            “Ok,” Nick smiled at her, “Take your time.”

            She walked over to her friends and he eyed her as she did so, “She’s gorgeous!  I need to control myself.”

            Her friends were smiling at her as she approached, “I’m going to get our stuff from backstage. I’ll be right back and then we can go to the hotel. I don’t know about you three but I’m bushed.”

            “You don’t look so tired flirting with Nick over there,” Kelshie teased.

            “Oh give me a break.”

            “Come on! Admit it! You are loving every single second of it!” Jess blurted out.

            “Oh I never said I wasn’t totally enjoying myself, I just asked that you give me a break.  Do you blame me for flirting with him?” Heather smiled slyly.

            “I don’t blame you at all!” Melina chuckled.

            “I’ll be right back guys.”

            “Behave backstage Miss Hermie,” Kelshie wagged her finger at her best friend.

            Heather laughed, “Me and Nick Carter alone backstage… I’m not going to promise anything!”

            Her friends laughed as she winked at them then turned to walk with Nick.

            Nick led her to his dressing room and as he did he asked, “So what were you and your friends laughing about?”

            She slightly blushed and giggled, “It was nothing. They were just being my crazy friends, that’s all.”

              “Alright then, just keep something juicy from me,” Nick said sarcastically. He looked at her and raised his eyebrow.

            “Trust me it’s something I’m sure you’ve heard millions of times before from other fans.”          

            “Gotcha. Well here’s my dressing room,” he said opening the door. “There’s really nothing much to look at but here it is. Come on in and make yourself at home.”

            “Oh I’m not staying long. I can tell my friends are getting pretty tired even though I’m sure they don’t want to leave.”

            “Then you can chill out in our tour bus for a little while until we have to go to the hotel. You can consider it as another prize for winning the Karaoke Challenge.”

            “That’s really sweet of you to offer but we can’t do that. I need to get some sleep so I can drive home tomorrow. I have three dogs that need taking care of. Right now my sister is watching them for me but I don’t want them thinking I abandoned them.”

            “I understand,” Nick handed her the bag with all the concert merchandise, “Here’s your stuff.”

            “Thank you very much for keeping it back here.”

            “Don’t mention it. I didn’t want your popcorn buckets to get ruined.”

            Heather laughed, “I’m sure you think we’re crazy.”

            “I don’t think you guys are crazy at all,” he smiled, “I think you are original. I like originality.”

            “Then I guess you can say that the four of us are very original.”

            They both laughed and when they stopped, they found themselves looking into each other’s eyes.

            “We’ll I have to go, unfortunately.”

            “Before you go I would like to tell you something.”

            “What is it?”

            He half grinned, “It’s going to sound crazy.”

            “Tell me, I’m dying to know now that you said that.”

            “Don’t take this the wrong way but… You’re the perfect package! You’re intelligent, easy to talk to, down to earth, you have an amazing singing voice and you’re beautiful.”

            “Please stop you’re making me blush.”

            “Are you always this shy?”

            “Only with people I’m really interested in.” She smiled cutely and shyly.

            “I’m happy to hear my feelings are mutual. I would really like to get to know you better. Can I have the honor of going out on a date with you sometime soon?”

            “It would be my pleasure.” She grinned and looked into his eyes.

            He smiled back at her, “I’ll give you my number and if I could ask for yours I’ll call you tomorrow and we can set something up. I’ll be staying in New York for a while. I know I have an interview coming up soon and I’m not sure when that is but after that we could go to dinner and maybe a moonlit walk through the park so we can talk?”

            “That sounds perfect,” she answered calmly although her heart was about to explode.

            “Awesome!” Nick tried his hardest to contain himself as he searched for his cell phone, “I’ll send you a text message if you type in your number.”

            “Ok.” She carefully took his blackberry and typed in her number.

            “Thank you. I’ll send you a text so you can have my number.”

            “Thank you Nick.”

            “Trust me it’s my pleasure.”

            The final call came over the loud speaker and Heather’s heart dropped a little as she said, “I have to go now.”

            “Let me walk you out.”

            As they walked back they passed DJ Lani as he was walking to his dressing room. He took off his mask and glanced at Heather briefly. Heather’s eyes went wide.

            “Are you ok?” Nick asked. “It looks like you’ve just seen a ghost.”

            “I did just see a ghost,” she thought but shook that from her head and replied, “It’s just that DJ Lani looks a lot like my best friend I lost contact with a few years ago.”

            They walked over to the rest of the Backstreet Buds who were saying good night to the Backstreet Boys. Heather said her good nights to Backstreet and finally to Nick.

            “Good night Nick. I had a fantastic time tonight. Thank you so much for putting on an awesome show and for being my date for the night.”

            “No, no thank you for being my date tonight.”

            “It was my pleasure.”

            He leaned closer to her and whispered in her ear, “I’ll text you tomorrow. Keep our date on the down low, it’ll be our little secret.”

            “Sounds good to me. Good night.”

            “Good night,” he gently kissed her cheek and she blushed.

            Luckily her Backstreet Buds didn’t see the kiss so she wasn’t teased about it and they walked out onto the side walk in peace. The girls were all tired and happy about the night they just had.

            As they waited for the light to change so they could cross the street safely, Heather felt someone tap her on the shoulder.

            She turned around and was instantly thrown into shock.

            The man standing behind her said, “Hey Bud.”

She could feel a lump in her throat form and tears develop in her eyes, “Rich? Is that really you?”

Chapter 14 by CarterFan28

Chapter 14

            Kelshie and Jess turned around when they heard Heather talking to someone and they almost fell to the ground in shock.

            The man standing behind Heather, who the girls knew as DJ Lani, answered, “Yes, it really is me…Rich.”

            “How is this possible though?” Heather asked breathlessly, “I… we thought you were… were…”

            Kelshie finished the sentence, “We thought you were dead!”

            Rich nodded his head, “I have a lot of explaining to do, but I’m alive and I actually found you three after all these years.” He smiled brightly at the girls.

            Heather jumped and wrapped her arms around his neck. She couldn’t say anything. She only breathed in the warm, subtle cologne he was wearing, it was the same one he wore the last time they had seen each other. She could feel tears stinging her eyes as he wrapped his arms around her waist. She didn’t cry but tears were threatening to escape her eyes.

            “Do you want to come with us so we can talk?” Heather suggested after they released each other.

            “No I’ll let you guys get your rest,” he replied. “I’m pretty tired myself and besides I’ll be up all night explaining everything so I’ll let you four go.”

            “Before you go,” Heather took out her cell phone, “Number please.”

            Rich grinned, “Of course. Just text me so I can have yours. Maybe we’ll meet up tomorrow?”

            “Sure. Oh speaking of meeting, this is our friend Melina from Germany. Melina this is Rich.”

            Rich smiled at her, “Nice to meet you Melina.”

            She cordially replied, “Nice to meet you too.”

            Rich clapped his hands together, “Alright ladies I’ll let you go before the light changes again. Get a good night’s sleep. Hope you all enjoyed the show.”

            “Oh trust me we all did,” Jess said as she hugged him first, “It’s really good to see you’re breathing Rich.”

            “It’s better to see you three.”

            Kelshie was next to hug him, “You’ve got a lot to explain mister.”

            “I know I do and I’ll explain it all tomorrow I promise.”

            Heather looked at him and smiled, “I missed you so much Bud!”

            “I think I missed you more,” he said in a hushed voice as he looked into her eyes. “Good night.”

            “Good night,” all four girls said before Rich turned toward the rest of Backstreet’s tour staff.

            Heather watched him leave and she just shook her head.

            “Hermie lets go before the light turns green again,” Kelshie lightly tugged on her arm and snapped her out of the little trance she was in.

            The Backstreet Buds dashed across the street just before the light changed and allowed the city traffic to continue.

            Heather didn’t say a word as they walked up to their room. Jess and Kelshie were blabbing a mile a minute about Rich’s miraculous return while Heather couldn’t find any comments to add.

            “Hermie, do you have anything to say about this?” Jess asked when they got in the room.   

            She shook her head, “The only thing I can say is wow! I mean first we go to the sound check party and I’m finally able to thank Backstreet for being who they are and for singing Never Gone, then we stand right next to the stage to watch that amazing concert, Backstreet gives all four of us roses during INBYH, we go to the After Party, win the Karaoke Challenge, become Backstreet’s dates for the night, Nick Carter asks me out on a date and Rich turns out to be DJ Lani! What else is there to say except ‘wow!’?”

            Kelshie raised her eyebrows as she looked at Heather and asked, “What did you say about him?”

            “Rich?”

            “No Nick.”

            “Oh shit! I let that slip didn’t I?” she thought. “The only thing I said about him was that I was his date for the evening and he gave me the rose. That’s all.”

            Jess chuckled, “Oh Hermie you suck at lying to us! What was the last thing you said about Nick before you said that Rich turned out to be DJ Lani?”

            “Come on tell us! You know you can’t hide anything from us,” Kelshie pushed.

            “Please blood sis tell us!” Melina begged.

            “Ok, ok you’re right; I can’t keep anything hidden from you three. And you two,” she pointed at Jess and Kelshie, “would never stop bugging me if I didn’t tell you. Before I tell you though, you have to promise me that you will keep this a secret. I wasn’t supposed to tell anyone but since I let it slip I have to tell you three.”

            “We promise,” her three best friends said in unison.

            “Ok when Nick and I went to his dressing room to get the stuff we bought and our popcorn buckets he asked me out on a date and we exchanged numbers that’s all.”

            “What do you mean ‘that’s all’?!” Kelshie was flabbergasted.

            “You said yes to the date didn’t you? Tell me you said yes,” Jess stared down Heather.

            “Like I would say “no” to Nick Carter! Come on Jess it’s like you don’t know me at all!”

            Her best friends all jumped up in the air and screamed!

            Heather laughed as her friends exclaimed, “I can’t believe you are going on a date with Nick Carter! You lucky bitch!”

            Once the girls settled down, tiredness hit them like a ton of bricks. They changed out of their dresses and into their pjs and flopped on the beds ready to pass out. Before Heather lay down she opened Violet and excitedly wrote down the events that took place from the beginning of the day to the ending which was technically beginning of the next day because of the late night hours blending into the early morning.

            She ended her entry with, “This can’t be real! I mean all in the same night Nick Carter, the one and only Nick Carter asks me out on a date and Rich rises from the dead after six years like it’s some kind of soap opera! If this is a dream I don’t want to wake up from it! Ever! Oh I forgot I have to text Rich so he can have my number. We’re going to meet up somewhere so we can talk before he has to go back on tour with Backstreet. Also Nick is going to call me in the morning so we can set up our date. I can’t wait for either of those days! I’m pretty sure I have said this already but I am in total shock! I mean I get asked out by my number one celebrity crush and my long lost best friend turns up alive! Today was awesome! But I think tonight was the best night I’ve had in a long time. I have to go text Rich before I forget and then I’m heading to sleep because I’m dead tired. I’ll write more later I promise. HMH.”

            She sent Rich this text message, “Guess who this is =).”

            He replied, “Heather? My long lost Bud?”

            “Bingo! You must explain why you are not dead lol if that makes sense.”

            “It makes sense but I’ll explain tomorrow. We both need a good night’s sleep tonight. Good night Bud.”

            “Good night Rich.”

            Heather fell asleep with a smile on her face. How could she not? Nick Carter had flirted with her practically all night and she was correct about Rich; he was alive after all.      

            The next morning the girls were awoken by a ringing cell phone.

            Jess moaned, “Whose is that?”

            Kelshie, who was lying next to her, picked up her head and answered, “Oh crap it’s mine.”

            “Who is texting you this early in the morning?”

            “Jess its 11:30 in the afternoon already.”

            “Oh. Well open the text already and make the music stop.”

            Melina giggled, “Someone’s a little grumpy in the morning huh?”

            “Yeah just a little,” Heather answered still half asleep, “Jess has never been a morning person not even when we were kids.”

            Kelshie started giggling uncontrollably.

            Heather sat up in bed and gave her best friend a questioning look, “What’s so funny?”

            Kelshie continued to laugh as she replied, “Steph texted me!”

            “My sister?”

            “Yeah.”

            “What did she say?”

            “She said “Hey Kelshie! How was the concert? I’m texting you because I have a feeling that my sister is undergoing charges for rape right now or her phone is off. If she is in jail for rape the first offense shouldn’t be too bad. Hope you guys had fun.” You’re sister knows you way too well Hermie!” Kelshie was practically squeaking as she was laughing out her answer.

            The rest of the Backstreet Buds started cracking up. Then Jess’s phone rang.

            She quickly read the text message and nearly shouted, “Oh my god! Rose is too funny!”

            “Oh god what did she just send you?” Kelshie shook her head.

            “She said, ‘I know you four are either sleeping off the concert, trying to make Hermie’s bail, or you’ve all shacked up with a different Backstreet Boy but I wanted to know if you all had a good time? And if Hermie is in jail do you need extra money to get her out?’”

            Again the hotel room exploded with laughter.

            “I’m going to yell at both of them when I see them!” Heather said shaking her head. “They’ll probably be at the house when we get home so I’ll scream at them then! And they’re probably together now because they sent the texts at the same time. Only my sister and Rose.”

            “What time are we leaving anyway?” Jess questioned.

            “I have no clue. We can check out whenever we want to and I have to call Rich. Maybe he can come to our room so we can just talk for a while before we have to leave. Let me call him now actually.”

            She reached for her cell phone lying on the bed side table.

            The room got quiet as Heather waited to hear Rich’s voice, “Good morning Bud!”

            “Well it is technically the afternoon but good morning to you too.”

            Rich chuckled, “I figured that you four just woke up that’s why I said good morning.”

            “Damn Rich we haven’t seen you in six years and you can still figure us out.”       

            “I’m amazing what can I say?” he joked.

            Heather chuckled, “Same old Rich.”

            “Well that’s what we have to talk about,” he sighed.

            “That’s what I called you for. We can check out any time we want to and we figured that it might be easier if you come to the hotel room so we can talk before we leave to go home. 

            “Pick a time and a place and I’ll be there. Did you four have breakfast yet? If not I’ll bring something over for you.”

            “We didn’t have breakfast yet but we were going to order room service.”

            “Don’t do that. They probably won’t serve you guys breakfast now. I’ll bring doughnuts or bagels or something.”

            “Fine. I’m not going to argue with you anymore because I know how hard headed you are. Let me ask what the girls want for breakfast,” she looked at her friends and asked, “Any breakfast orders?”

            “Bagels!” all three replied.

            “Bagels it is then Rich.”

            “Ok then,” he paused for a second, “I’ll be over in about ten minutes?”

            “We’ll be here. We’re in the hotel right across the street from the concert hall in room 284.”

            “Alright Bud I’ll be over in ten.”        

            “Take your time.”

            “No!” Kelshie screamed, “Hurry up! I’m hungry!”

            Rich laughed, “Just because she said that I’m going to take all the time in the world.”

            Heather grinned, “You better not do that! Kelshie will rip your head off!”

            “She hasn’t changed one bit huh?”

            “Nope!”

            Heather heard him chuckle, “Ok then I’ll be right over.”

            He was laughing and Heather couldn’t help but smirk, “See you in a few.”

            She shook her head as she hung up the phone.

            “What’s the matter?” Jess questioned.

            “I…I…” Heather stammered back, “I just can’t believe he’s alive.”

            “Me neither,” Kelshie added.

            “I mean after six years he rises from the dead and now we can go back to being the best friends we were before he… he…” she quickly looked up toward the ceiling to hold back tears.

            Jess got up to hug Heather.

            “Awe Hermie!” Jess nearly squeaked as she wrapped her arms around Heather’s shoulders.

            “Thanks Jess but I’m not going to cry over him anymore. I’ve done enough of that every single year on the anniversary of getting that damn letter.”

            “I can understand you being tired of crying on the same day for six years,” Kelshie agreed.

            “I’m just going to be happy that he’s back and start to make plans of spending time with him.”

            “That sounds like a good plan Hermie,” Jess said.

            “Now I’m going to throw on some clothes before he comes,” Heather got out of bed and grabbed a pair of shorts from her overnight bag and the shirt she bought at the concert.

            “That’s a good idea,” her three best friends commented. They too got out of bed and started changing.

            Jess reached for her makeup bag and Heather became slightly puzzled, “What are you doing Jess?”

            “I’m going to put on makeup.”

             “Who are you going to get fancy for?”

            “A guy is coming to our room right?”

            “Yeah but that guy is Rich. He’s seen you without makeup before hasn’t he?”

            “You have a point there. I feel too lazy to put my face on anyway.”

            Just as the girls finished getting dressed someone knocked on the door.

            “Who is it?” Heather asked.

            “My name starts with R and ends in ich.”

            Heather grinned as she opened the door, “Come in Rich.”

            “And I brought fresh bagels. They’re still warm too.”

            “Yes!” Kelshie exclaimed, “It’s good to have you back Rich. You still remember my weakness for fresh bagels!”

Chapter 15 by CarterFan28

Chapter 15

            “So where should I start?” Rich asked as he sat down on the couch next to Heather as she helped pass out the bagels, plastic knives and cream cheese.

            “Start from the beginning,” Heather answered simply.

            “Beginning of what though? I have a few problems I want to talk to you about and they all have different beginnings.”

            “Well I have a feeling that they all stem from the same thing so start from there.”

            Rich sighed and looked down at his hands then said, “Ok… it all started after our high school graduation. I became depressed because the four of us were going in separate directions with our lives and you three had a set plan and futures a head of yourselves and I was left behind in community college not knowing where my live was headed. After we started losing contact with each other I became a loner. It was like I totally forgot how to socialize with new people after I stopped seeing the three of you on a daily basis. That’s where it all started.”

            Heather could see that Rich was starting to struggle with what he was going to say next so she grabbed his hand and lightly squeezed it, “You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to or if you can’t but what happened after that?”

            “I’m ok,” he flashed a small smile at her then continued, “Next thing I know I started becoming closer to Harlow.”

            “Harlow as in Harper’s best friend right?” Kelshie asked making sure her facts were straight.

            Rich nodded his head, “You got that right. And because I got close to Harlow I got close to Harper.”

            Although Rich and Harper were step siblings they never got along. After Rich’s mom died and his father remarried Harper’s mom they hated each other. Harper never had a father figure in her life and she was jealous of the close bond Rich and his father had. She also never had a good relationship with her mother either. She wanted attention from anyone and everyone who would give it to her. Rich’s father was very proud of his only son. He was the smart one who juggled sports, school work, jobs, and other school activities. He excelled in everything he did. Harper was the girl that always got herself into trouble. For example she lost her virginity to an eighteen year old when she was only eleven. Harper was notorious for using drugs, almost over dosing more than once. When Harper wasn’t drunk or high she and Rich would constantly fight. It was always Harper starting the fights and they were over stupid things. She even fought with Heather, Jess and Kelshie for no apparent reason other than the fact that they were always hanging out with Rich. To put it plainly, Harper was a bitch. Rich and the girls couldn’t stand messed up bitches.

            Harlow was a girl who used to hang out with the four best friends. She too was a Backstreet fan and they were all close until Harper pulled her into the “dark side” as Kelshie was famous for calling it. Poor Harlow didn’t stand a chance when she started hanging out with Harper. Harlow, like the sponge that she was, slowly became just like Harper and ended her longtime friendship with the Backstreet Buds and Rich when she stabbed them in the back. The girls never forgave Harlow after that but apparently Rich did.

            “I started dating Harlow and it was like she and my step sister were joined at the hip. It was almost like I was dating both of them,” Rich chuckled slightly but Heather could tell that he was uncomfortable, “She got me addicted to all the drugs she was addicted to. You name it I snorted it, smoked it, swallowed it…”

            “You never injected did you?” Jess asked astonished.

            Rich shook his head vigorously, “Never!”

            “You’re still scared shitless of needles huh?”

            “Oh yeah. That’s still the one thing I’m afraid of.”

            Nothing could scare Rich. He was always the guy laughing at any and all horror movies he watched. His one weakness was needles. He told the girls stories of how he would break into a sweat and start shaking when he needed to get vaccines at the doctor’s office. The girls could remember vividly when they were talking about getting the same tattoo emulating Backstreet, Rich had to run out of the room because of how shaky and scared he got.

            “Well,” Rich continued, “Once I was hooked on those drugs it all went down from there. I dropped out of college, lost my apartment and moved in with Harlow and Harper. I started selling to support myself. Harper and Harlow started selling too, and not just drugs. They sold themselves almost every day until they got themselves a job at a strip club. That kind of helped me a little bit because I got a job there as a DJ.”

            “What did your dad say about all of this?” Heather asked cautiously.

            He shrugged, “He didn’t know about it for a while. He and my step mom still thought I was in college supporting myself. He was half right. Sure enough he found out though.”

            “How?” Kelshie questioned.

            “One of his friends was having a bachelor party at the club I was working at. I didn’t know he was there and he didn’t know it was me. He couldn’t recognize me; he couldn’t even recognize Harper and Harlow either because the drugs had changed us physically as well as mentally. He surprised me in the bathroom. It was sheer coincidence that he walked into the bathroom while I was on my break snorting my fix. Boy did he scream at me. He was screaming so much that I could have sworn I saw tears in his eyes. I couldn’t look at him anymore as he was saying how much I disappointed him after I said I dropped out of college and how I threw my future away. He knew that I was messed up. I just walked away from him and went back to my work. I watched him storm out of the club dragging Harper behind him. She tried to leave before he saw her but it was too late. He dragged her home that night. I escaped him because my boss was talking to me. Actually I was selling him stuff. But the next morning I find myself being thrown into an intervention. After that the three of us were thrown into rehab for a few months. It didn’t work for Harper. She got right back into drugs and drinking a day after she got out. Harlow and I stayed sober for about a month and a half after rehab. But then I found out that Dad had cancer. I stayed sober until after he told me about the tumor on his brain. He lived in agony for three months and I wanted to go back to drugs and drinking to ease my own pain. I couldn’t stand seeing the strongest man I knew wilt away in a hospital bed… in so much pain… dying right in front of me. I didn’t want to disappoint him either. He had intervened and stopped my addiction. I didn’t want him to die thinking that he failed to keep his son sober. So I stayed sober and felt the pain with him,” he stopped for a second and looked away from the girls, “Then he died.”

            “Rich,” Heather said in a near whisper, “I had no idea. Why didn’t you contact us?”

            “I’ll get to that later,” he took a sip from his water bottle then continued, “I was there when he died. I was holding his hand.”

            He took a pause and sniffled, “The night he was buried was the night I relapsed. Harlow was being very supportive of me through all of this and she was sober too. But Harper never stopped. She didn’t listen to my dad at all, but that’s no surprise there. She had the audacity to come up to me after the funeral and say, “You know what will ease the pain brother? This stuff.” She handed me a baggie. I took it. Harlow and I used it the second we got home. We got fucked up that night and paid for it the next day. But then Harper and a few of her buddies came over the next night and we partied again. I lost it. And it’s scary to think that for a few days of partying like that, I had forgotten all about my own father and that I had watched him die.”

            “My god,” Kelshie gasped. “I… I don’t know what to say.”

            “I’m so sorry Rich,” Jess said shaking her head.

            “That was my worst point. I almost over dosed once and it scared me but not enough to make me stop.”

            “What did make you stop?” Heather asked. 

            “Harlow was reading People magazine one day and she came across an article titled “I Didn’t Want to Die”…”

            “Nick Carter’s interview,” Heather finished for him.

            “Exactly. She read it to me and I couldn’t help but think that I was just like him. I didn’t want to die young and I wasn’t feeling like myself besides the whole drugs and alcohol thing. So I went to the doctor after I read that article and it turns out that I’ve got a cardiomyopathy like Nick Carter.”

            The Backstreet Buds gasped.

            “I’m better now,” he reassured them, “I’ve been sober for almost a year now and my doctor has said that the cariomyopathy has greatly improved. I’m not completely better but I’m on my way to a full bill of health. I dumped both Harper and Harlow once I was diagnosed and that was my first step to recovery. My second step was checking myself into rehab and sticking with it. The third step was reconnecting with my step mom. She didn’t know what went on with me and what I did the night Dad was buried. She forgave me and said that Dad would do the same and that he was proud of me for becoming clean again. It was nice to hear. It took a little weight off my shoulders and ever since she and I have been closer than ever before. My final step was to see if I could find you guys again.”

            Heather smiled, “You found us.”

            “In a way that no one would have ever expected too,” Jess commented.

            “How did you land a job with Backstreet anyhow?” Kelshie questioned.

            “I went to the same rehab that Nick went to. We became friends and stayed in contact after rehab. He came to some of my DJ-ing gigs and offered me a job as Backstreet’s DJ. I’ve been on the This Is Us tour with them since the beginning. I finally got to fulfill my dream of traveling the world. It’s just funny that I had to go through that hell before I was able to go around the world.”

            “It is funny how life beats you up and then mends your wounds again,” said Heather. She looked into his eyes and asked, “Why didn’t you look for us before now?”

             Rich’s voice dropped, “I didn’t want to bother you. And I didn’t expect you three to be so close to home.”

            “I never left our home town Rich.”

            “Are you kidding me Heather? You were the one who wanted to get out the most.”

            “I’m not kidding. I still live there and I teach music in the high school. It’s Kelshie and Jess that got out. They live full time in their shore houses.”

            “Wow I would have never figured you were that much of a homebody Hermie.”

              “Well… things happen. And what do you mean you didn’t want to be a burden to us? Do you not remember all the shit we got each other through during high school and even more shit dealing with our messed up families? The four of us got each other through so much Rich, what made you think that you would be burdening us with your addiction? We could have helped you.”

            “Hermie… let’s not talk about it. Let’s just say that I needed to fight my inner demons by myself.”

            Rich looked up into Heather’s eyes and she could see pain in them so she grabbed his hand and said in a near whisper, “I’ll drop the subject. It’s really good to have you here Rich.”

            Rich grinned and whipped a single tear from Heather’s cheek and joked, “Cry baby.”

            Heather lightly smacked his arm, “You’re tearing too! Shut up!”

            He laughed and then his phone rang. After he hung up he looked around the room and said in a saddened voice, “I have to go now girls. I don’t want to but I have to.”

            “Aren’t you going to stay in New York for a few days?” Heather asked.

            “Yeah we are. The last show of the tour is next Saturday but we have a lot of interviews and TV shows to do in between and after that so we should be here until the end of the summer actually.”

            “I live 15 minutes away. Come and find me when you’re not busy. The three of them will be staying with me until the end of the week. You can always stop by and we’ll do something together like we used to in the old days.”

            “I’d like that a lot. Correction I’d love that,” Rich smiled.

            He hugged each of the girls before he left.

            “I’ll call you most likely tomorrow when I figure out how busy I’m going to be.”

            “Ok Rich. I’ll talk to you later.”         

            “Later babe,” he winked at her and she smiled before she watched him start down the hall.

            “Did he just call you babe?” Kelshie asked as soon as Heather closed the door.

            “Yeah, I don’t know what that was about.”

            Jess and Kelshie looked at each other and raised their eyebrows.

            Heather saw them and raised her hands in the air in surrender, “I don’t want to know what you two are thinking.”

Chapter 16 by CarterFan28

Chapter 16

            The next day after having breakfast in the hotel lobby, the Backstreet Buds packed Heather’s car and headed home.     

            The girls were greeted by three happy dogs, and Stephanie and Rose, who had just started to cook dinner for everyone, when they walked through the back door.

            “Fancy seeing you two here!” Heather said as she walked in the door petting Shep, Lacey and Hunter who were jumping all over her.

            “We figured we’d surprise you guys when you walked in,” Stephanie hugged her sister. “Besides I knew you wouldn’t want to cook.”

            “That’s when I call out for Chinese food,” Heather laughed.

            “Nah,” Stephanie shrugged. “I think you would agree that Mom’s chicken parm is better than Chinese.”

            Heather’s eyes lit up, “Yay! My favorite! Melina, I have to tell you that this is the best chicken parm you’ll ever eat. And it’s a good thing that Mom taught us how to make it her way.”

            “Besides we wanted to hear all about the concert right away,” Rose added in.

            “We have a lot to tell!” Jess exclaimed.

            “Oh really?” Rose raised her eyebrow. “I’m guessing the concert was good then?”

            “Are you kidding me?!” Melina almost screamed. “The concert was AMAZING!”

            Kelshie giggled, “Yeah what Melina said.”

            The girls took their seats and as they dug into huge helpings of chicken parm they retold all the events that happened before, during and after the concert.

            “I can’t believe you guys got the roses from BSB and became their dates for the night!” Stephanie exclaimed. “I’m very surprised you didn’t have a heart attack when Nick gave you the rose.” She threw her words at her sister.

            “Oh I forgot how to breathe a few times,” Heather laughed.

            “And I’m really surprised that we didn’t get a call from you four asking to bail you out of jail for rape charges,” Rose commented almost in disbelieve with a joking voice.

            “Someone came pretty close though,” Kelshie chuckled.

            “Kelshie shut up!” Heather retaliated.

            “Oh come on Hermie! You have to admit that it would have been hysterical if that did happen,” Jess lightly slapped Heather’s arm.

            “I can see it know!” Kelshie stared into the distance setting up the scene like she used to do in drama class in high school. “The four of us sitting in a jail cell all because Hermie couldn’t control her raging hormones when it came to the man of her dreams…”

            Heather finished for her with a huge smile, “Nickolas Gene Carter!”

            “Yes that’s right,” Kelshie continued, “Or the other scenario, she tried to stowaway on Nick’s tour bus.”

            “If it was only Hermie trying to stowaway or trying to rape him, why were Melina, you and I arrested with her?” Jess seriously asked.

            Heather chuckled her response, “Because when one of the Backstreet Buds goes down we all go down!”

            The girls laughed out loud and Jess nodded her head, “That makes sense.”

            “And is it just me or can anyone else see the big ass grin forming on Hermie’s face as she clutches the shirt she gripped off of Nick?!” Rose questioned as she envisioned the scene.       

            The Backstreet Buds and Stephanie exploded into laughter.

            “Yes I can totally picture that!” Jess was laughing so hard that she almost squeaked out her answer.

            “That would have been a story to tell my friends and family back home,” Melina added, “How I got arrested during my first visit to America!”

            Everyone laughed again and Steph shook her head, “You girls are too much.”

            “But that’s not all that happened,” Kelshie interjected.

            “Oh?” Rose questioned.

            “Hermie didn’t tell you the best part of the night,” Jess said with a huge grin on her face.

            “Ok this sounds juicy,” Rose shook Heather’s shoulders, “Spill!”

            “Nick Carter asked me out on a date,” she replied nonchalantly.

            “Are you serious?!” Rose’s eyes went wide.

            “I’m dead serious,” Heather said as calm as could be. “You know me and my policy about not lying to my closest friends and family.”

            Steph placed her hand on her sister’s forehead as if she was checking her temperature, “Are you sick or something?”

            “No I feel fine. Why’d you ask?” Heather pushed her sister’s hand away from her head.

            “There is got to be something wrong. You of all people can’t be this calm about getting a date with Nick Carter for God’s sake!”

              “I guess it just hasn’t sunken in yet,” she shrugged.

            “Well when is the date?” Rose asked.

            “I don’t know yet. He is going to call me when he gets a chance to and we’re going to set something up then.”

            “Did he seem reliable?” Steph asked becoming a little leery of the Backstreet Boy. “Are you sure he’s going to call you?”

            “He couldn’t keep his eyes off of her the entire night!” Kelshie blurted.

            “And he was heavily flirting with her,” Jess added.

            “He looked into my eyes while I talked to him and he actually listened to what I had to say Steph,” Heather looked up at her sister as she answered. “We had intelligent conversations sis.”

            The sisters had this philosophy about guys stating that if they made eye contact and were able to hold intelligent conversations, the guy was worth giving a chance. Once Heather said Nick looked her directly in the eyes Stephanie eased up a bit.

            “Alright. You better be careful though. Correction be very careful.”

            Heather grinned, “Since when have I not been careful?”

            “When is he going to call you?” Rose asked quickly.

            “I told him he could call anytime.”

            Just as she said that her cell phone rang. Everyone’s eyes got wide as they watched Heather calmly check who it was.

            She saw the expressions of anticipation on the faces around her and said rather hurriedly with excitement mixed in, “It’s Nick, stay quiet!”

            She took in a deep breath before she answered, “Hello?”

            “Hey Heather, its Nick. Is this a bad time for me to call?”

            “Hey Nick! No it’s not a bad time. You have perfect timing actually I just got finished with dinner. What’s up?”

            “I just called to ask if you are still interested in going out with me sometime when we’re both free.”  

            “I’m still interested and I’ll be free all the rest of the week except for tomorrow.”

            “Same here actually. How about I take you out for dinner Saturday night?”

            “That’s fine with me.”

            “I’ll pick you up around 7:30 and take you into the city to one of my favorite restaurants?”

            “Ok.”

            “Oh I was wondering, do you like the ventriloquist Jeff Dunham?”

            “I love him! He’s my favorite comedian.”

            “Would you like to see him live? My manager won tickets to see his show on Saturday and he offered them to me because he wasn’t interested in seeing the show. He said I could use them if I wanted to. Would you like to come with me?”

            “Of course I would! I tried to get tickets but they were all sold out.”

            “Alright then, how about I pick you up at 6:30 instead this way we can give ourselves more time to eat before we need to be at the comedy club.”

            “That sounds perfect to me.”

            “Awesome. I’ll see you Saturday then.”

            “I can’t wait,” Heather said smoothly.

            “Me neither,” Nick replied in the same fashion. “Bye Heather.”

            “Bye Nick.”

            Heather hung up the phone and looked up at the five faces staring at her. She just smiled and clutched her cell phone as her sister and best friends screamed and hugged her excitedly.

            “I still can’t believe you have a date with Nick Carter!” Melina blurted out.

            “I can’t either to tell you the truth,” Heather breathed out. “I just can’t believe this whole experience! I get to spend time with my number one celebrity crush, he asks me out on a date, Rich and I reconnect…”

            “Whoa!” Rose stared wild eyed at Heather, “What did you just say?!”

            “Sis did you just say what I thought you said?” Stephanie became puzzled.

            Heather nodded her head, “Rich is alive! He’s the DJ for Backstreet. He found me after the concert. We’re going to all have lunch together so we can hang out.”

            “When?” Rose asked, “I’d love to see him again although I’m in total shock that he’s alive.”

            “I’m still shocked too. But I don’t know when we’re going to hang out. He’s supposed to call me so we can set something up.”

            Her phone rang again and once again the girls huddled around her as she answered.

            “Hello?”

            “Hey Bud.”

            “Hey Rich! What’s up?!”

            “Nothing really. I was wondering when you are free to hang out?”

            “Anytime except for Saturday.”

            “Ok then how about I come over Friday? I have a gig with BSB tomorrow in the morning and then I’m meeting up with some buddies from rehab.”           

            “What gig do you have?”

            “BSB is performing for the Good Morning America concert series.”

            “Oh I didn’t know that. Now the Backstreet Buds have something to watch tomorrow morning before they leave.”

            “There you go. So when should I come over Friday?”

            “Any time after two because I have to drive Melina somewhere.”

            “That works for me. Oh and the reason why Nick didn’t tell you he was going to be on Good Morning America tomorrow is because he’s really humble about being the Backstreet Boy that he is. He doesn’t like to brag about himself.”

            “How did you know I was talking to Nick?”

            “He and I are buddies. We talk. I told him about you and when he said he was going out on a date with a girl fitting your description I told him that we were more than likely talking about the same girl and I was right. But anyway is it ok that I come over at 2:30 Friday?”

            “Yeah that’s fine. Unless you want to come over tomorrow after your gig so you can see Kelshie and Jess before they go back home.”

            “When are they leaving?”

            “They’re not sure but before rush hour. Definitely before 4 o’clock.”

            “Ok I’ll try to make it but I’m not making any promises on that but I will promise you that I will see you Friday around 2:30.”

            “Alright Bud. I’ll see ya then.”

            “I can’t wait Heather.”

            “I can’t wait either Rich.” Heather smiled as she hung up her cell phone.

            “Girl you are so lucky,” Rose said.

            The next day the Backstreet Buds woke up just in time to watch the Backstreet Boys on Good Morning America. Before they performed Straight Through My Heart, Bigger and a few of their most popular older songs, the Boys sat down for a quick interview with Robin Roberts.

            Robin Roberts asked the basic interview questions and then she asked a few questions that they had received via email from fans who knew they were going to be on the show that day.

            “Now this next question is from one of your fans in Colorado,” Robin said as she read the email, “Your fan wants to know what was the strangest thing you were asked to sign?”

            The Boys simultaneously laughed.

            AJ was the first to raise his microphone, “We did a concert in the Hammerstein Ballroom the other night and at the meet and greet a group of four girls asked us to sign popcorn buckets.”

            The Backstreet Buds all jumped to their feet off of the couches and chairs they were sitting in and excitedly screamed, “They’re talking about us! Backstreet is talking about us!”

            Robin looked at Backstreet and asked with a slight laugh in her voice, “Popcorn buckets? Why popcorn buckets?”

            Brian answered, “The theme of our tour this year is A Night Out At The Movies so they told us that they wanted to have us sign something that went along with the theme of the tour.”

            “Nobody has ever gone with the theme of the tour before,” Howie added.

            “That does sound very unique,” Robin nodded her head with a gracious smile.

            “Yeah they really did stand out in the crowd,” Nick said. He then looked to his band mates, “I don’t know about you guys but I’ll never forget them and their popcorn buckets.” He chuckled.

            “No you can’t forget them,” Brian replied with a smile. Howie and AJ agreed as well.

            The Backstreet Buds grabbed each other’s hands and screamed, “Backstreet will never forget us!”

            “Please tell me you recorded this Hermie,” Kelshie blurted out.

            “I did! I did!”

            “Good! I’ll teach you how to save it onto a DVD so we can each have a copy of this.”

            After the Boys performed, the girls made the DVD copies and continued on with the last full day they spent together.

            After dinner someone rang the doorbell.

            “Who could that be?” Jess asked.

            “I have no clue,” Heather said as she walked toward the front door.

            She opened the door to see a very pleasant surprise, “Rich!”

            “Hey! May I come in?”

            “Of course! Come on in make yourself at home. We were just about to sit down and watch one last movie before we have to get some sleep. Come on into the living room and don’t be afraid to dig in. We have a buffet of all different sweets and you can’t watch a movie without popcorn.”

            As the girls and Rich watched the movie everyone tried their hardest to stay awake. When the credits rolled everyone yawned loudly.

            “I don’t want to move,” Jess moaned.

            “I still have to pack my bags,” Melina commented.

            “So do Jess and I,” Kelshie added.

            “It’s too late to pack now. We all need our rest before we hit the road tomorrow,” Heather yawned.

            Rich questioned, “Where are you going Hermie? I thought Kelshie and Jess were the only two leaving tomorrow.”

            “I’m driving Melina to her cousin’s house in Pennsylvania. I’ll be home by 2:30 though like we originally planned.”

            “Ok. I was just curious. Would you mind if I stayed over tonight Hermie? I didn’t realize how late I was going to stay and I’m pretty tired.”

            “Stay here. Please stay here. I don’t want you falling asleep at the wheel. The girls and I sleep upstairs so you have the whole down stairs to yourself. There’s a guest room next to the bathroom and your choice of two couches and the arm chair. Plus there’s an air mattress in the closet if you want to sleep on that.”

            “Wow. You have a lot of room to entertain don’t you?”

            “I do actually. I have one guest room down here and two unused rooms upstairs and a den like room with bean bags and a couch upstairs too. I always have friends over and you remember how big my family is. A lot of them stay over at holidays now that I have so much space to have everyone over. So where ever you want to sleep is up to you.”

            “I’ll take the couch,” he said slapping the space he was sitting on. “It’s really comfortable.”

            “Ok. The blankets are in the closet and in the ottoman.”

            “Thank you Bud,” Rich looked up at her and smiled as she started upstairs with the girls. “I greatly appreciate it.”

            She smiled sleepily back, “Don’t mention it.”

            “Good night girls.”

            “Good night,” Melina, Jess and Kelshie replied.

            “Good night Rich,” Heather said in a soft, tired voice.

            “Good night Bud,” Rich grinned as he watched Heather follow her best friends up the stairs.     

Chapter 17 by CarterFan28

                                                               Chapter 17

            The next morning they woke up at a decent time just so they could pack before hitting the road. All four girls wanted to stay in bed for the entire day but Jess and Kelshie had to go back home and Melina had family waiting for her visit. They had no choice but to wake up.

            When all the bags were packed the girls made their way down stairs with some of the bags in hand.

            “Good morning girls,” Rich greeted them as he woke up.

            “Good morning Rich,” Heather said warmly.

            “How are you so cheery this early in the morning?” Kelshie asked with disgust in her voice.

            “I agree with Kelshie,” Jess yawned.

            “Some things never change,” Rich laughed, “You two still hate mornings.”

            “Got that right,” Kelshie and Jess said at the same time.

            “So Hermie, what’s for breakfast?” Rich asked.

            “How about French toast for everyone?”

            “Sounds good to me,” everyone replied.

            Heather whipped up a batch of French toast as her friends set the table.

            “I forgot how much I missed your French toast!” Rich said patting is stomach after finishing his last slice of toast. “It’s the best French toast in the world.”

            “That was very good bloodsis, thank you,” Melina said graciously.

            “I agree thank you,” Jess chipped in.

            “Thanks Hermie,” Kelshie added.

            “Oh don’t mention it. I’m glad you all liked it,” Heather smiled.

            After breakfast the girls started loading the cars. No one wanted to leave. They all didn’t want the endless fun they had to end.    

            They all lingered by the cars as the last bag was thrown in Kelshie’s trunk and Melina had all her belongings packed into Heather’s car.

            “I don’t want to leave!” Jess whined.

            “Me either!” Kelshie pouted.

            “I’m going to miss you guys!” Heather exclaimed.

            “We’re going to miss you too!” Jess and Kelshie pulled Heather into a group hug.

            Jess looked at Melina, “Well get in the group hug girl! Any sister of Hermie’s is a sister of ours. It was so nice to meet you Melina!”

            “Yeah,” Kelshie chimed in, “I agree with everything Jess just said.”

            Melina chuckled, “It was so nice to meet you two also and thank you my new sisters!”

            “Please stay in touch,” Kelshie said, “We are going to miss you Melina.”

            “Oh trust me I will stay in touch and I’ll miss you too!”

            The group hug was about to break apart until they heard Rich chuckle.

            “And you Rich,” Jess glared at him, “Come here and join us.”

            He entered the group hug and as she squeezed him Jess said, “Mister you better keep in touch.”

            “I promise I will keep in touch if you let me breathe,” he replied with the little breath he could muster while being held in the group’s tight hug.

            The pressure on his ribs subsided and the girls all apologized for squeezing him so tightly.

            “Alright we let you go so you better pinky promise all of us that you will keep in touch,” Heather said half jokingly half serious.

            “I pinky promise all of you that I will stay in touch one way or another,” he locked pinkies with each of the girls including Melina.

            “I hate to say this but we all better hit the road before traffic starts to get bad,” Heather suggested.

            “You’re right,” Kelshie said sadly. “Come on Jess let’s get going.”

            The girls said their final fair wells then Jess and Kelshie drove out of Heather’s drive way first.

            Rich was the next to leave, “I’ll be back at 2:30 for a late lunch?”

            “It’s a plan. I should be home by then as long as traffic is not bad.”           

            “Ok Bud I’ll see you later. I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay here Melina. Again it was nice meeting you,” Rich smiled at her.

            “It was really nice meeting you too Rich,” Melina smiled back.

            Rich started his car and drove down the drive way. Heather watched as his car slipped out of sight.

            Melina hopped in the passenger seat as Heather started the car.

            “May I ask you a question sis?” Melina spoke as the drive began to get longer.

            “Sure. Ask away.”

            “Were you and Rich more than just friends in high school?”

            Heather was surprised by that question. She stayed calm and kept her eyes on the highway as she answered, “As in did we date?”

            “Yeah. Did you?”

            “No we never did.”

            “Did you ever want to date him?”

            She shook her head, “No I was never interested in him in that way. He’s just my best friend and we grew up together that’s all. If you don’t mind me asking, why did you ask if I was interested in Rich?”

            “You can’t keep your eyes off of him. You also have this look in your eye whenever you look at him. It’s almost like the look your eyes had when you were talking to Nick in person.”    

            Heather laughed out of nervousness, “Really?”

            “Yes. And I’m not the only one who noticed. The other Backstreet Buds see it too. Admit it you like Rich don’t you!”

            “I’m just really happy to see him that’s all. I mean wouldn’t you do the same thing if your best friend who disappeared for six years turned up alive and well and just happened to reconnect with you on the best night of your life?”

            “You have a point there. I understand now.”

            A short moment of silence fell between them until Melina slipped Backstreet CDs into the CD player. The girls sang for the rest of the drive until they pulled into Melina’s cousin’s drive way.

            Heather was introduced to Melina’s cousin then she helped her German blood sister get her bags from the back of the car. After talking for a little bit Heather and Melina said their see you laters and Heather hit the road toward home.

            As she drove she couldn’t help but think about Rich and what they were going to do when she got home. She became nervous thinking about him.

            What’s going on with you girl? She thought to herself. It’s just Rich. You shouldn’t be nervous about Rich. You should be more nervous about your date with Nick.

            Her thoughts switched from Rich to Nick and her nerves intensified.

            What am I going to wear? How am I going to do my hair? Ok calm down. Focus on driving and getting home before you get yourself excited. She tried to sing along with the Backstreet CD that was playing through the ipod connected into her radio but hearing Nick’s voice just brought her nerves back. She finally settled on listening to The Maine, her and Jess’s other favorite artists.    

            Later after her date with Nick, Heather lay comfortably in her bed with Hunter and Lacey curled up on both sides of her and Shep lying across the foot of her bed protectively keeping an eye on the bedroom door. Before switching off the lamp on her bedside table she wrote in her dairy.

*******Heather’s Point of View*******

Dear Violet,

            Today was friggin amazing! I have so much to tell you Vi and I’m not going to put my pen down until I finish everything.

            So the Backstreet Buds and I woke up to find Rich still asleep on my couch. I still can’t believe that he’s here after six years. I mean I always knew he was out there, somewhere, but I never thought I would ever see him again. To me this all still feels like a fantastic dream. I mean Rich and I finally reconnect and I get a date with the one and only Nick Carter of the Backstreet Boys. I’m digressing though. Let me start from the begging again.

            So the four of us come down stairs and Rich just woke up as I reached the bottom step. When he said good morning and started talking to everyone I started to realize that I wasn’t just imagining him being there. After breakfast I helped the girls pack then we all started to head our separate ways. Before we all left we were pulled into a huge group hug by Jess and Kelshie and it was really sweet because they told Melina that she was officially a Backstreet Sister like the three of us and she was really touched by that. Rich was pulled into the hug too and he wasn’t put off by it at all. I thought it was going to be awkward but it was as if we were still in high school when we did that all the time. Melina and I left after Rich headed off to go catch up with some of his other friends.

            While we were driving to her cousin’s house she asked if I had feelings for Rich. I was totally taken aback by that question. I told her that I was just very happy to be around him again and she said that she can see something in my eyes when I look at him. She said it was the same look as when I’m looking at Nick. She also said that Kelshie and Jess noticed it too. To be honest I’m still kind of shocked by what she said.

            I stayed at Melina’s cousin’s house for a little while. As I was driving home I couldn’t help but think about what she said and I started to become nervous for when he came back this afternoon. I tried to take my mind off of him by listening to Backstreet but listening to Nick’s voice only made me nervous for my date with him. The only thing that could take my mind of off both Rich and Nick was The Maine. Thank you Jess for making me a fan of theirs.

            I got home just minutes before Rich. He pulled in the drive way just as I opened the front door.

            “Hello again Bud,” he said in his normal chipper way.

            I smiled as I heard his voice, “Hey! Looks like I beat ya.”

            “Yeah but not by much,” he grinned at me as he came closer to hug me.

            I breathed in the warm smell of cologne as we embraced.

            “Since when do you wear cologne?”

            “I only wear it on certain occasions.”

            “And by certain you mean fancy ones right? Knowing you.”

            “Exactly. You still have me down to a science Bud.”

            “So why are you wearing cologne now? Us hanging out to catch up isn’t exactly a fancy or special occasion.”

            “I felt like wearing it today that’s all. What? I can’t smell nice when I’m hanging out with my best friend?”

            I laughed, “I’m not saying it’s a bad thing. It’s just… out of your normal.”

            He looked at me with a raised eyebrow, “Since when have I been normal?”

            I grinned back at him, “You have a point there.”

            He and I talked and talked for hours about anything and everything except why he never came to me during his addiction or come to think of it we never spoke of the addiction at all. We talked a little of how he and Nick met in rehab but that was it. I wanted to ask him why he never looked for me or wanted my help during his rough patch. We just kept talking about the good old days.

            I had pulled out my collection of year books. I had each and every one of them since kindergarten. Rich and I just sat down to read all the notes our classmates wrote to me when Steph and Rose walked in surprising both of us. They joined in on our trip down memory lane as Rich flipped through the year books. We were laughing about memories that popped up when something on almost every page triggered our brain’s to remember. That too took hours because of our consistent laughter. Steph is two years older than we are but she remembered a lot of the stories Rose, Rich and I told because she use to hang out with us a lot and I would tell her everything because of our close connection. Steph and Rose left after we BBQ-ed for lunch. Rich stayed a little while longer until he realized what time it was.

            “It’s getting close to six so I better let you get ready for your date tonight.”

            “You can stay while I get ready if you want to.”

            “Nah I’ll head back to the hotel. I want to work out before the gym closes. I’ll talk to you tomorrow if you have time to talk. I know you’ll be calling the Backstreet Buds and spilling everything that happened on that date.”

            I giggled, “You got that right.”

            “Alright Bud, have fun tonight and just stay calm,” he smiled warmly at me.

            “Thanks Rich. I’ll talk to you later,” I wrapped my arms around him before he got into his car.

            “Later Heather.” He flashed another smile at me before he drove away and I felt a warm sensation go up my spine.

            When his car was out of sight I practically sprinted back in the house to get ready for my date with Nick.

            The first thing I stressed about was what I was going to wear. Finally I settled on the medium length dress that I wear to almost every semi-formal function I go to. It’s just simple and black with nothing special about it but everyone says I look amazing in it so I guessed it would do. Then I had no idea what I was going to do with my hair. I glanced in the mirror and saw that my hair was still somewhat straight so I just touched it up a bit and left it down. I was meticulous with my makeup and I was pleased by the end results. I slipped into my heels and walked down stairs to wait for Nick.

            The dogs followed me down stairs patently waiting for me to feed them.

            “I know you guys are hungry,” I grinned at them, “But you have to sit and answer me one question.”

            They all sat obediently and looked at me.

            I asked, “So Pups, do I look good enough for my date with Nick Carter?”

            They all started barking happily. Hunter jumped up and down, Lacey spun around in happy circles and Shep stared into my eyes and wagged his tail.

            “Awe thank you Pups! Ok I’ll get your dinner.” I fed them and just as I sat down to turn on the TV, the doorbell rang.

            Shep jogged over to the door like he always does whenever I go to answer it. Standing there was Nick. He looked up at me with wide surprised eyes.

            “Wow!” he said when the door was fully opened and I smiled at him.

            I laughed and slightly blushed, “Well that’s a hello a girl could get used to.”

            “I’m sorry it’s just that you look amazing.”

            I blushed some more, “Thank you but I’m not really dressed up at all. This is really simple and plain.”

            “I like plain and simple though. I don’t mean that you are plain and simple I mean…” he searched for worst to say to correct himself. “I mean… I think clothes with too much flare take away from a girl’s natural beauty which you have a lot of.”

            I looked away from him shyly and smiled as I did so, “Thank you. You like making girls blush don’t you sweet talker?”

            He chuckled, “I do think it’s cute when girls blush but I really do think you’re beautiful.”

            “Well thank you. So where are we eating tonight? I’m pretty hungry,” I changed the subject.

            “It’s a surprise but if you’re hungry we’ll leave right now.” He extended his hand to me and as I reached for it Shep jumped in between us and showed his teeth to Nick.

            Nick took a few steps back and I grabbed Shep’s collar.

            “Knock it off Shep! He’s not going to hurt me. Go back inside!” I turned him away from Nick. “Now!”   

            “Nice dog you’ve got there,” he said a little skittishly.

            “I’m sorry about Shep,” I apologized, “He’s very protective of me. He always has been.” I tried to push him back with my foot and then Lacey and Hunter came over to investigate. “And here comes the other two,” I said exasperated. “I’m sorry about this.”

            “It’s ok. Do you want me to try and help? They don’t bite do they?”

            “No the beagle and Husky are just Shep’s sidekicks but he won’t bite you either.”

            I knelt down in front of Shep and grabbed his face. I made him focus on me as I said, “He’s not going to hurt me. Calm down boy. There is no need to be my body guard. It’s ok.”

            I watched Shep’s eyes look away from mine.

            Nick knelt down next to me and said, “It’s ok Shep. I promise I’m not going to hurt Heather. I’m just going to take her out to dinner and then a show. I promise I’ll keep her safe and I’ve got my own body guard with me to take over your shift.”

            He slowly reached his hand out for Shep to sniff.

            “Don’t you dare bite him,” I said sternly.

            My protector sniffed Nick’s hand and seemed to relax enough to allow Nick to pet him. Lacey and Hunter introduced themselves to Nick and helped Shep calm down. Lacey and Hunter went back inside after getting Nick’s attention but Shep stayed at the door until I closed it behind me.

            Nick offered his hand to me as we walked to the car. I graciously took it. He opened the car door for me like the perfect gentleman and as soon as he jumped in next to me, his body guard started down the drive way.

            “You’ve got one protective dog there,” Nick commented. “He’s watching us leave.”

            I looked up at my house and saw Shep’s face through the front window. He was standing on the window bed staring at the car.

            “Oh yeah he’ll probably stay there all night until I get back.”

            “Wow. That’s dedication.”

            “Yeah, that’s also the training he got since he was a puppy.”

            “Oh? Are you a dog trainer?”

            “No but my uncle train’s police dogs. Shep was supposed to be on the force but he developed a skin condition that prevented him from duty. My uncle loved Shep so much that he didn’t want to see him go to some animal shelter or pound and he wanted Shep to stay in the family so he was my birthday present one year. He’s been the best guard dog of my family and me ever since. He’s my official body guard.”

            “Oh speaking of body guards, this is Steve. Steve this is Heather,” he said indicating the man driving the car. “Steve will be accompanying us tonight.”

            “Don’t worry, you won’t even know I’m there though,” Steve said after saying hello, “I’m a master of blending in with everyone else.

            After a few seconds of silence Nick comments, “I’ve never seen a red husky like yours before. She was gorgeous.”

            “Oh thank you. That’s Lacey. I rescued her and my beagle Hunter from the animal shelter I work at.”

            “I didn’t know you work at an animal shelter. I’m guessing you’re an animal lover then?”

            “Oh yes. Big time animal lover. I would adopt every animal in the shelter if I had the space and money for all of them. If I had the means I would have a house full of cats and dogs.”

            “I’m an animal lover too. From what I gather talking to you so far, we have a lot in common.”

            “We do,” I smiled at him.      

            He smiled back and all I could think was, Holy crap! That smile is drop dead gorgeous!

            Nick and I talked through the entire drive and continued while at dinner at one of the most expensive restaurants in New York City. (I wanted to pay for my dinner so I got the cheapest thing on the menu. Nick wouldn’t even let me get out my wallet.) The food was fantastic and the setting was quite romantic. The lights were dim and candles were everywhere. I couldn’t help but marvel at my date in the candle light. I loved the way his eyes shimmered in the candle light and how much brighter his smile seemed. Besides he was very handsome in the black dress shirt he was wearing.

            After he paid the check he took my hand and escorted me back to the car. Our conversations about anything and basically everything ended only when we were waiting in line to enter the comedy club. We got there a little late and when Steve explained who Nick was to the person collecting the tickets, we were shown in through the back entrance where we ran into Jeff Dunham himself. He stopped when he saw Nick.

            “Hey I know you!” he exclaimed. “You’re from the Backstreet Boys. My daughter is a big fan of yours. Would you mind taking a picture with me and signing something for my daughter?”

            “Sure. If you could sign something for my date tonight I would be happy to get your daughter an autograph.”

            “Good deal.” Jeff introduced himself to us and I took a picture of him and Nick together. Then he asked me, “Who is your favorite puppet?”

            “Oh I love all of them but my favorite is Peanut.”

            “Ok I’ll be back in two seconds.”

            Jeff rushed to his dressing room and rushed back with Peanut. I got a picture with my favorite ventriloquist and my favorite puppet of his.

            “Thanks for the autograph,” Jeff thanked Nick after the last picture was taken and he signed my ticket. “I hope you both enjoy the show.”

            “Thank you so much for the picture and autograph.”

            “Any time,” Jeff and Peanut waved at us as we headed to our seats.

            To make my story somewhat shorter the show was hysterical and Nick and I couldn’t stop laughing throughout the entire thing. A few times I was laughing so hard that I snorted and I became really embarrassed. Nick was sitting close to me with one arm resting on the back of the rounded booth we were sitting in. He was so close to me that I could smell his cologne and oddly enough it was the same one Rich had worn earlier.

            “Why do you look embarrassed?” Nick asked when we both stopped laughing for a second while Jeff moved on to the next puppet.

            “My laugh is really embarrassing and I keep snorting when something is really funny.”

            “You shouldn’t be embarrassed by your laugh.”

            “Why not?”

            “Because I think it’s cute.”

            Again he made me blush and I couldn’t think of anything to say so I shyly smiled at him and looked back to the stage. Nick’s arm inched closer to my shoulders and I inched closer to him.

            On the way home we were somewhat silent compared to all the talking we did before. I found myself constantly looking into Nick’s eyes and he was looking right back with the cutest grin on his face.           

            We pulled into my drive way and I could see Shep was still watching out the window waiting for me.

            “I’ll walk you to your door,” Nick said before he got out and opened my door. He helped me out of the car and escorted me up my front steps.

            “I had a great time tonight Nick. Thank you so much,” I said as I hugged him.

            “It was completely my pleasure,” he replied as he hugged me back. “And I would like to ask you something.”

            “What’s that?”

            “Would you like to go out on a second date with me?”

            My heart started to race and I wanted to scream out yes but I contained myself and replied graciously, “I would love to go out on a second date with you.”

            “I’ll call you tomorrow when I figure out when I’ll be free next.”

            “Sounds good to me,” I smiled.

            He widely grinned back, “Awesome. Good night Heather.” 

            “Good night Nick.”

            He smoothly took my hand and gently kissed it before he turned and walked down the steps. As I opened the door I watched him walk away mesmerized by the kiss he left on my hand. Before he hopped in the car he looked back over his shoulder one last time and winked at me. I grinned and headed into my house.

            There the Pups greeted me happily and Shep sniffed all over me to see if I was hurt.

            I knelt down and petted him, “I’m perfectly fine Shep. I’m more than perfectly fine I’m floating on cloud 9 right now! I have to call my sister, Rose and my Backstreet Buds!”

            I took off my heels and ran up to room to call everyone who knew about the date. The five reactions that I got were basically the same except for Steph. My friends were excited for me and Steph on the other hand was more cautious about the Backstreet Boy.

            I really don’t know why my sister is so concerned about him. Nick’s been the perfect gentleman so far and I’m smart. I know when to end a relationship when things take a wrong turn. Oh well, she’ll get over it soon enough.

            Right now I’m going to go dream about this day all night tonight.

            I’ll write more tomorrow I promise. HMH

Chapter 18 by CarterFan28

Chapter 18

            A complete week went past and it was a daily occurrence that Rich and Heather spent time together. Nick would call on a daily basis too if he wasn’t taking Heather out on a date.

            They got close really quickly and I mean really close. After a while of continually seeing each other date after date and talking with each other daily that bond that was forming intensified.

*******Heather’s Point of View*******

Dear Violet,

            I have a lot of explaining to do I know. I am so sorry that I am a day late in updating you but I have a good reason for not writing anything last night. I wasn’t home all night. Where was I you ask? I was with Nick all night. Yes all night! I have to start from the beginning but I’ll shorten it a little bit.

            So he called me up and asked if I would like to go to dinner at a club and go dancing afterward. Obviously I said yes because who would say no to Nick Carter? He said to get dolled up so I did. Remember I told you about that strapless white dress with purple splashed onto it that I just bought? Well I wore that and Rose did my hair and make up for me. She made me look fabulous and she said that my new dress was beautiful on me. Luckily Nick agreed. He couldn’t stop staring at me the entire night and I can’t count how many times he called me beautiful. You can imagine how fantastic his words and the way he kept looking at me made me feel. I mean come on! It’s Nick Carter for crying out loud! But now I’m sounding shallow. Besides the fact that he is drop dead gorgeous and is my number one celebrity crush, he is such a gentleman and he treats me incredibly well. He’s just all around perfect!

            He took me dancing after dinner at a fancy club in NYC. It was kind of a weird mix. Everyone was dressed up like they were going to a ballroom yet instead of classy music we were dancing to club music. Nick and I were having a lot of fun though. He was dancing pretty close to me and I wasn’t complaining at all! And did I mention he looked really hot? He was wearing a dark gray suit and matching jacket with a white shirt. He didn’t wear a tie which was fine with me because his shirt was unbuttoned enough to show off some of his nicely muscled chest. He had his hair spiked up just the way I liked it and in the club lights his eyes were a sexy dark blue. Although his eyes are always sexy no matter what shade of blue they seem to be.                     

             When we were both tired and the club crowd started to die down we headed toward the door. Nick was going to walk me back to the hotel he was staying at because I parked my car in the hotel lot. The restaurant and club were right next to the hotel. Just as we stepped out the front door the heavens opened up and rain poured down in buckets. We jumped back under the awning to stay dry.

            “Perfect summer weather for ya,” I commented. “We’re stuck here under the awning without an umbrella.”   

            Nick took off his jacket.

            “What are you doing?” I asked.

            “Here’s your umbrella.”

            “Nick you didn’t have to do that.”

            “I’m being a gentle man,” he smiled warmly at me. “It’s a good thing the hotel is only two buildings down. If we run we won’t get too wet.”

            “Ok let’s run then.” I covered my head and shoulders with Nick’s jacket.

            “One…” Nick started counting, “two… three!”

            He grabbed my hand then dashed toward the hotel. I did a pretty good job of keeping up with him even in high heels.

            “That was fun wasn’t it?” Nick grinned once we stepped into the hotel lobby.

            “It was fun actually,” I smiled back.

            Nick chuckled in return, “You did a pretty good job of keeping up with me.”

            “It was not an easy task in heels.”

            We both laughed in response.

            “Well Nick I had a lot of fun tonight, like all the other dates we’ve been on. I better get home though.”

            “Why don’t you stay for a little? At least until the rain dies down.”

            “I can’t Nick. I gotta get home to take care of my dogs.”

            “I thought Melina was staying with you. Did she go back to Germany already?”

            “No she’s still here but she’s staying at her cousin’s house for a few days.”

            “Your dogs will be fine. Please stay with me for a little bit. It’s pouring out there. I don’t want you driving home in this.”

            “Nick…”

            “We can watch a movie and just relax. I’ll still be a gentleman. I promise.”

            I glanced into his sky blue eyes and thought for a second, “Ok I’ll stay to watch a movie.”

            Nick offered his hand and I gracefully placed mine on top of it. 

            We made our way up to Nick’s suite in silence. I was a little nervous about what might happen inside the suite yet something told me I could trust Nick.

            He opened the door and said, “Welcome to my temporary home away from home.”

            I took a few steps inside and exclaimed, “This is beautiful Nick!”

            “Let me show you around.”

            He gave me a quick tour of the suite then showed me back into the living area.

            “Thanks again for sacrificing your jacket to keep me dry,” I handed him the soaked jacket.

            “Don’t mention it. I can always drop it off at the dry cleaners anyway. Or just get a new jacket it’s no big deal. I didn’t want you and that pretty dress of yours to get wet.”

            “You really are a gentleman aren’t you?”

            “I try to be,” he flashed another warm smile at me. “Please make yourself at home. Kick off your shoes, make yourself comfortable. Excuse me for one moment while I change out of these wet clothes. And I hope you won’t mind me being completely under dressed compared to you.”

            I giggled, “Nick its ok. This is your home away from home so you can do whatever you want.”

            “I’ll be right back,” Nick disappeared into the bedroom and closed the door behind him.

            I took a seat on the comfortable couch, stepped out of my heels and fished for my phone in my purse.

            I dialed Rose, “Hey Rosie.”

            “Hey Heather. What’s up?”

            “Can I ask a really big favor of you?”

            “Sure. You know I’ll do anything for ya.”

            “Could you take a ride over to my house and let out the Puppies and feed them please?”

            “Sure. May I ask where you are?”

            “I’m with Nick right now and I don’t know how bad the rain is back home but it’s close to hurricane weather here so I’m going to see if it dies down before I drive in this crap.”

            “Okay. May I ask where exactly you are with Nick?”

            “Well I’m in his hotel room right now.”

            Rose gasped, “Heather!”

            “Rose shush! I’m not like that. You know me!”

            “That’s why I gasped! That doesn’t sound like you at all! How did you end up in his hotel room?!”

            “We went to the club first which was two buildings away from the hotel. We stepped outside and the heavens opened. He wouldn’t let me go home in this shit so here I am in his room waiting for the weather to die down. Trust me I will hit the road as soon as the weather gets better. But don’t worry about me. It feels like I’ve known him for years and he is such a gentleman. And you know how strong headed I am. When I say no I mean it and I won’t let anybody change my mind about that not even Nick.”

            “Ok Heather. But if something, ANYTHING, goes wrong call me right away. I don’t want you making the same mistake I made back in high school.”

            “Ok Rose I will. And thanks for the favor.”

            “You’re welcome. Be smart about this girl.”

            “I will Rosie. You don’t have to worry about me,” I reassured my best friend. 

            Just as I hung up Nick came back into the room.

            “You look really comfy,” I commented on his white tank top, gray sweat pants and sweat jacket.

            “I am very comfy. Are you comfortable? I can lend you sweat pants and a t-shirt if you’d like.”

            “No thank you Nick. I’m fine.”

            “Ok then,” he sat down on the couch next to me and flipped on the plasma screen TV. He turned to the on-demand channel then handed me the remote, “You can pick which ever movie you want to watch.”

            I flipped through the list of movies until I came across Hidalgo, “I haven’t since this movie in a while.”

            “What’s it about?”

            “It’s about this man named Frank T. Hopkins and his horse Hidalgo who were the best long distance racers of their time.”

            “Sounds interesting. Do you like horses?”

            “I love them. My friend’s family used to own horses. They taught him, me and my sister how to ride and I fell in love with riding. I had a horse of my own for a few years until I couldn’t afford him anymore. I still ride when I can.”

            “My aunt taught me how to ride when I was little but I wasn’t really interested in it. Then I kind of got back into riding while filming The Hollow. Those movie horses were so smart I couldn’t believe it. I have a lot more respect for horses because of them. They’re amazing animals.”

            “Yes they are. I miss riding.”

            “I’ll tell ya what. I’ll find a riding stable and I’ll take you riding tomorrow.”

            I grinned, “You’re too sweet but I only ride with my sister. It’s the one special thing we do together just the two of us.”

            “Oh ok. I understand. Do you want popcorn to go along with the movie?”

            “That sounds good.”

            Nick got up and walked into the kitchen area. He grabbed a bag of white cheddar popcorn and a handful of napkins then sat back down next to me this time a little closer. I started the movie and Nick placed the popcorn between us.

            About a quarter into the movie Nick glanced over at me.

            “Are you comfortable?”

            I was sitting very straight with my legs pushed tightly together. I must have looked like I was sitting in a desk during a class in a strict private school. 

            “Yeah I’m fine,” I lied.

            He grinned as he looked into my eyes, “It doesn’t sound like you’re comfortable. Heather, please make yourself at home.”

            I inched closer to him then folded my legs behind me, “Now I’m comfy.”

            “Good,” he placed his arm on the top of the couch behind my head. I started to get nervous but stayed calm.

            As the movie continued Nick’s arm inched closer and closer to my shoulders. In return I slowly rested my head on his strong shoulder.

            I breathed in his cologne, which was strangely familiar, and I could feel my eyes start to get heavy.

            Come on focus on the movie, I thought to myself. Stay awake.

            When the movie ended I raised my head, “How’d you like it Nick?”

            “That was really cool. I liked it a lot. That horse was gorgeous.”

            “I’m glad. I love that movie. It’s one of my favorites.”

            “Heather I’ve been wondering something,” he looked at me.

            “What is it?”

            “I’ve been wondering, do you know that song Don’t You Wanna Stay by Jason Aldean and Kelly Clarkson?”

            “Yes I do.”

            “I have been thinking about your singing voice all day today and I was hoping that you would sing that song with me tonight.”

            “I’d love to Nick,” I smiled. I wasn’t going to pass up the once in a lifetime chance to fulfill my dream of singing a duet with Nick even if it was the song I was least expecting.

            He smiled widely, “Awesome!” He got up excitedly from the couch and grabbed his guitar. “Come sit on the bed with me. It’s more comfortable than that old couch.”

            I got up hesitantly but followed him anyway. I sat on the edge of the bed. I wanted to put some distance between the two of us but Nick sat down right next to me. I started to shake a little.

            He started playing the beginning of the song then started singing, “I really hate to let this moment go/Touchin’ your skin and you hair fallin’ slow/When a good bye kiss feels like this.”

            I took a deep breath in and sang the chorus with him, “Don’t you wanna stay here a little while/ Don’t you wanna hold each other tight/ Don’t you wanna fall asleep with me tonight/ Don’t you wanna stay here a little while/ We can make forever feel this way/ Don’t you wanna stay?”

            I then looked into Nick’s eyes as I stopped shaking and sang, “Let’s take it slow I don’t wanna move too fast/ I don’t wanna just make love I wanna make love last/ When you’re up this high, it’s a sad good bye.”

            He joined me for the chorus again, “Don’t you wanna stay here a little while/ Don’t you wanna hold each other tight/ Don’t you wanna fall asleep with me tonight/ Don’t you wanna stay here a little while/ We can make forever feel this way/ Don’t you wanna stay?”

            Then I closed my eyes and belted out, “Oh yeah!”

            Nick crooned, “Whoa it feels so perfect baby!”

            I echoed, “It feels so perfect baby!”

            Together we finished the song, “Don’t you wanna stay here a little while/ Don’t you wanna hold each other tight/ Don’t you wanna fall asleep with me tonight/ Don’t you wanna stay here a little while/ We can make forever feel this way/ Don’t you wanna stay? Yeah/ Don’t you wanna stay/ Yeah, yeah.”

            He finished the ending of the song on the guitar then stared into my eyes. He smiled brightly, “That was beautiful. You have an amazing voice. I have to say that you took my breath away when you sang Unmistakable with your friends.”

            I blushed, “I’m not that good but thank you.”

            He chuckled, “Yes you are! And you put so much emotion and passion into your singing. You’re a pro. You’re students must love having you teach choir.”

            “I guess you could say that.”

            “Ya know that song just made me even more attracted to you. I didn’t think that was possible because I’m very, very attracted to you Heather.” He put down his guitar and moved closer. He started making a trail of kisses from my bare shoulder up my neck. I closed my eyes and melted as he did so.

            “Nick, I’m attracted to you also but,” I placed my hand on his chest and pushed him away snapping back to reality, “I’m also logical and looking for a relationship that will last. I’ve already done this before. I’ve jumped into bed with someone I just met and I only got hurt. I don’t want that to happen again.”

            He placed his hand under my chin and moved my face so we were looking into each other’s eyes and our lips were inches apart. At this point I’m thinking, Holy crap this is sexy! I don’t know how I can control myself.

            “I would never hurt you,” he spoke gently over my lips. “And that’s a promise.” He looked into my eyes as he said that.

            He slowly leaned closer to my lips and I gulped. But once our lips met my body went limp as Nick’s kiss sent my heart into over drive. The kiss became deeper and I felt Nick’s hand lay gently on my back. I daintily rested mine on his shoulder and he brought my body closer to his. That kiss made me feel safe, made me feel like I could really trust Nick. And dam was it hot!

            He pulled away from me to ask in a whisper, “What do you say now?”

            After catching my breath and coming back down to Earth I replied, “I don’t wanna just make love I wanna make love last. I know it’s corny to quote the song but its true Nick. I don’t want to get intimate with you if there’s no long term relationship following it.”

            Nick pushed a long piece of my hair behind my ear, “I’m more than willing to let that happen if you are.”

            I smirked then kissed him again. I pulled away from his lips slowly to say seductively, “Unzip my dress.”

            One side of his lips curved into a playful smile before his lips crashed onto mine and his fingers skillfully unzipped my dress.

            This morning I woke up when the warm sunlight hit my face. I was lying on Nick’s bare, well muscled chest with his arms wrapped around my waist. His grip was tight yet gentle and it made me feel so secure and warm.    

            “Good morning beautiful,” Nick whispered when I lifted my head.

            “Good morning Nick,” I smiled at him.

            “I’m really glad you stayed with me last night.”

            “I can’t believe I did to be honest. I normally don’t jump into bed after the first kiss.”

            “Was it a bad thing to stay with me? Are you regretting staying the night?”

            “No, no it wasn’t a bad thing and I’m not regretting it. I haven’t felt a connection with someone like I did with you last night in years. It just seems all too good to be true. I mean we haven’t even known each other for a month yet and it feels like I have known you my whole life. The connection we have is so strong it’s incredible. It feels like a dream, a perfect dream.”

            “I know what you mean. And I want this dream to last,” he looked lovingly into my eyes and ran his fingers through my hair. He kissed me sweetly then said, “I want you to know that I mean it when I say I want what we have to last.”

            Then he actually said it! Nick actually said it to me this morning!!! He stared into my eyes and actually said the words I always dreamed he would say to me! These were his exact words, “Heather, I felt this unbelievable connection from the first time I saw you. I’ve never felt something like that with anyone else before. You’re special Heather, very special. You are so different from other fans. We have gotten to know each so well in a matter of days it’s mind blowing! I have never met anyone like you before and I have never been so uncontrollably attracted to someone as I am to you. Heather…,” he paused to smile at me. He grabbed my hand and looked into my eyes again, “I haven’t believed in love at first sight but I do now because of you.”

            Now as you can imagine I was STUNNED! And like a dumbass I asked while stuttering, “Wh…wh…what are saying Nick?”

            He gave a cute little giggle, pushed a strand of my hair behind my ear and replied, “I’m saying I love you.  And I’m not saying that just because of what happened last night. I really do love you.”

            I know what you’re thinking because I thought the same thing. Are you sure you’re not dreaming Heather? And the answer is no I’m not dreaming because I know for a fact that I was lying naked in a hotel room with my body pressed against Nick’s. I was so close I could feel his heartbeat.

            “Nick…” I couldn’t find the words to say to him at first until I smiled widely, “I love you too. And I’m not just saying that because you’re a Backstreet Boy and the fact that I have had a huge crush on you for ages. I love you for who you are and I felt the same connection from the start. I just wasn’t sure if you felt the same way or not. You have made me so happy!”

            He grinned cutely at me, “You don’t know how happy you have just made me.” He leaned in and kissed me excitedly. Oh man that kiss! It left me breathless. But yet it’s true… I have fallen in love with Nick Carter… the person, the actual person. I think my life is finally coming back together again. I have Rich back and now I think a real relationship is starting.

            I’m going to end here for the day because I’m still buzzing from that kiss! Anyways I’ll write more tonight after I hang out with Rich. HMH

            P.S. I have to admit that I am a little scared of what is going to happen between Nick and me. I keep thinking about that dickwad of a boyfriend who said he loved me after the second date. He only said that to me to get in my pants. That had to be the biggest mistake of my life and I don’t want that to happen again. Nick seems different but still I’m not sure. I mean I trust him but deep inside I’m still… nervous I guess you’d say. I guess I’ll always be like that because of that last asshole. I feel like I know Nick really well but I still need to figure him out. Maybe I shouldn’t have told him I love him back. But who am I kidding? I’m falling for him, fast and hard. I don’t normally believe in love after the first kiss but there’s a 1st time for everything right?”

Chapter 19 by CarterFan28

Chapter 19

            The same day after Nick dropped Heather off in the midmorning, Rich called her.

            “Hey Heather!”

            “Hey Bud! What’s up?”

            “Nothing really. I have the day off because Backstreet is going into the studio today to start a new album. I was thinking…”

            “You thinking? That’s not a good thing,” Heather joked.

            “Well then if you’re going to make fun of me I won’t tell you what I was thinking about,” Rich fired back.

            “I’m sorry Rich. What were you thinking?”

            “I was thinking about how much fun we used to have horseback riding together and I was wondering if you would like to go riding with me today.”

            “Oh Rich I would love to! Steph and I haven’t gone riding in a long while. When do you want to go?”

            “Whenever you are ready to I’ll come and pick you up. Does that sound good?”

            “It sounds perfect. I just have to dig out my riding boots and change quickly and I’ll be good to go. Do you know where we’re going?”

            “I found a little stable that you can rent out horses for a day and just hit the trails for as long as you want. If you’d like we can pack a picnic and eat out on the trail. The only thing is I don’t have a picnic basket or food to take with us.”

            “I have back packs we can pack and if you’d like you can come over now and we can pack lunch together.”

            “Alright. I’ll be over in a few minutes Bud.”

            “Ok take your time and drive carefully.”

            He chuckled, “I will Worry Wart.”

            Heather smiled but as she hung up she started to panic about how she looked and what she was going to say to Rich. She wasn’t at all nervous about riding a horse for the first time in years but she was more nervous about spending the entire day alone with her best friend.

            She was buzzing around getting ready for Rich’s arrival and once she opened the door to see his smiling face, she felt her heart pound in her chest as the world around her seemed to move in slow motion and she felt like a deer in the headlights. She didn’t know why she was acting this way around him but she couldn’t help it. There was something about the way his face lit up and smiled when she opened the door that made her blindsided.

            “Hey Rich!” she finally exclaimed when she caught her breath.

            “Hey Bud,” he flashed a handsome grin her way. “How are ya?”

            “I’m good,” she replied as she went to hug him, “Come on in and we’ll start packing.” She led the way into the kitchen and opened the refrigerator, “I have all kinds of lunch meat and other fixings for sandwiches. Also I whipped up a batch of macaroni salad. Help yourself to whatever you want to make.”

            It didn’t take long for the backpacks to be packed and for Heather to throw on a pair of riding jeans and her boots that surprisingly still fit perfectly. Once they were ready and Heather told the Puppies she’d be back soon, they hit the road.

            The stable was only about ten minutes away and Heather fell in love with the fantastic place Rich found. They made their way to the main office to sign papers and afterward one of the stable hands showed them to their horses who needed to be groomed and tacked up.

            “I’ll be right back with another groom and your horses will be ready in a few minutes,” the groom said.

            “Oh you don’t have to,” Heather said, “We can groom and tack them up ourselves. I can see you guys are starting to get really busy.”

            The stable’s summer camp had just started and all the grooms were running around trying to get their campers’ horses ready.

            “Thank you so much for lessening my work load. I’ll get you guys the tack and grooming kits,” the groom said. “I greatly appreciate when people who know what they are doing help us grooms out.”

            “It’s my pleasure. I used to have my own horse years ago and I loved grooming him even more than riding him sometimes,” Heather smiled thinking about her horse. “This one looks like my old horse actually.” She walked over to the Palomino (a light yellow coat with a white mane and tail) standing closest to her and patted her neck.

            “This one’s a sweet heart that loves the trails and also loves to run. She’s a good listener though so you won’t have to fight with her,” the groom informed. “Her name’s Sammie.”

            “She sounds like my horse Cowpoke,” Heather ran her hand down the horse’s face, “I’ll ride her today.”

            “And this one,” the groom said pointing to the other horse, “is Fire. We rescued her from the race track. She wasn’t the best runner but she still loves to run right alongside Sammie. They’re best friends and you can’t keep them apart for too long or they get very nervous. Fire’s a good girl too. She can be a little more skittish than Sammie but if you keep them together she’ll be fine.”

            Rich chuckled, “Fire sounds like my old horse Samoya. It’s funny how we get to ride horses that are like the ones we had when we were younger.”

            “It is funny but in a good way,” Heather agreed as she brushed Samoya.

            After they finished readying the horses they hit the trail and soaked in the beautiful summer day. It wasn’t too hot and a light breeze whispered in their ears.

            The trail was right next to a small babbling stream that cut through the forest. The horses knew the way because they always went on the same trails over and over again. Heather and Rich let them pick their own way on the trail. The only thing the riders did was set the pace.

             “I have to say that I thought I would forget how to ride,” Rich said as he rode his horse alongside Heather’s.

            “You’re riding like a pro Rich. But I do know what you mean. I haven’t been on a horse in years.”

            “Heather, you have always ridden like a pro. Even when we first started lessons at my aunt’s stable. It’s like you were born to be in the saddle.”

            “Oh stop flattering me you sweet talker. I still think you were destined to be a cowboy. You’re a natural when it comes to horses.”

            “Why thanks,” he said tipping the rim of the cowboy hat he was wearing.

            They continued along the stream for a little longer when the forest opened up to a clearing where the old wooden holding pen the stable groom told them about was. The groom said it was the perfect place to set up their picnic and they could rest the horses in the pen while they ate.

            “Do you want to rest here for a little bit?” Rich asked after taking in the picture perfect scene ahead of them.

            “I am getting pretty hungry come to think of it and we have been riding for two hours already. The horses deserve a nice rest for a little bit.”

            “Wanna race there and see how fast these horses can go?” Rich looked at her and flashed a challenging smile.

            “Alright let’s do it. The finish line will be between the two stumps just before the pen and we’ll start the race after we get down from the hill. It’s not good to run them downhill remember?”

            “Oh yeah that’s right. The race is on Bud. I hope you enjoy eating dust because that’s what you’ll be doing when I get this ex-race horse running.”

            Heather laughed, “The groom said the only reason why she was retired from the track was because she not the best runner. Besides I’m riding a good ole Quarter horse and no other horse can beat them at short distance races.”

            “We’ll just see about that.”

            Once the ground leveled out again, Heather kicked Sammie and the golden horse exploded into a gallop. Rich was taken aback by the speed of Heather’s horse.

            When the distance between the two horses increased rapidly Fire started to dance under the saddle. She wanted to catch up with Sammie but Rich was holding her back because first of all he was shocked by the fierce way Heather was riding and secondly he wanted to see how Fire would react to him holding her back. He hoped that when he loosened up on the reins and leaned forward in the saddle that Fire would quickly gain speed to catch up with her friend.

            Rich was right. Once he screamed, “Go!” and punched his fist holding the reins forward, Fire jumped forward and quickly caught up to Sammie. He was almost vaulted from his seat.

            The two horses ran side by side for many strides and Rich couldn’t help but watch Heather ride.

            She’s beautiful! He thought as he watched his best friend’s long, brown hair tangle with the wind and her body move with the horse’s powerful, fast stride. She had a determined look on her face but at the same time she was smiling as she pushed her horse a little faster.

PT2      Rich kicked Fire to try and make her run faster but Fire just tossed her head in refusal. She was telling him that she couldn’t run any faster as she tried to keep up with the speedy Sammie. Fire tried her best but Sammie beat her by a head (horse racing term that’s about the length of a horse’s head) at the pretend finish line.

            Gradually they slowed the horses down and dismounted once they were fully stopped.

            “What did I tell you Rich?! No other horse could beat a Quarter horse at a short distance race. Sammie and I won!” she teased then stuck her tongue out at him.

            “But you only beat me by a head. Fire did a really good job of keeping up with you two.”

            “That she did. And she deserves a good rest in the pen for a while and so does Sammie.”

            “I agree.”

            They un-tacked the horses and turned them out in the pen where they munched happily on the green grass. Rich and Heather spread out the blanket they had packed and started eating their lunch in silence as they watched the horses graze.     

            Rich pulled out his ipod and a small speaker from his bag.

            “What shall we listen to while we eat?” he asked after setting up the speaker.

            “Doesn’t that need electricity?”

            “Nope its battery powered. Now what do you want to listen to?”

            “Hhmmm… you have any country on there?”

            “Yes I do. I have Sugarland, Jason Aldean, Lady Antebellum….”

            Heather interrupted him excitedly, “Lady Antebellum! I love them! Since when are you a Lady A fan? I knew you liked country but I didn’t know you would’ve liked Lady A.”

            “I’ve liked them since they started. You and I have the same tastes remember?”

            “That’s true. I keep forgetting about that.”

            “I’m guessing you want to listen to Lady A then?”

            Heather nodded her head excitedly.

            They ate happily as they listened to Lady Antebellum and when they were finished eating they started singing along.

            Rich smiled after “Perfect Day” ended, “This really is a perfect day Heather.”

            She chuckled, “Stop reading my mind. I was just about to say that Rich.”

            They looked into each other’s eyes and Heather felt her heart flutter.

            “This feels like the good old days,” Rich said in a near whisper as he turned the music down a notch. “Just you and me watching horses graze on a beautiful sunny day just like this, listening to music, singing along to the songs we knew. I miss those days.”

            “I miss them too. Words cannot how describe how much I miss those days. Words also cannot begin to explain how much I missed you.

            “You were reading my mind just now Heather.”

            They stared into each other’s eyes for a fleeting second until Heather looked away. There was something about staring into his deep blue eyes that she just couldn’t handle. She wanted to stare at them all day but whenever she did she felt like crying.

            “You know there’s just one more thing to do to make it exactly like the good old days Violet.”

            Heather looked at him in shock, “What did you just call me?”

            “I called you Violet.”

            “No one has called me that since…”

            He cut her off, “Since I left?”

            She nodded her head slowly, “I thought I would never hear that nickname again.”

            “Then what do people call you when they are tired of saying Heather all the time? Violet was the perfect nickname for you because of how much you love the color purple.”

            “Well you were the only one who really called me Violet or Vi. Rose and a few other friends tried to call me that but I asked them to stop. It didn’t sound right when they said it. It only sounds right when you call me that.”

            He looked into her eyes and inched closer to her, “Can you do me one favor Vi?”  

            “What is it?”

            “Can you sing to me please?”

            “But I did just sing to you.”

            “You sang with me. I want you to sing to me… like you used to. You would look directly into my eyes and sing your heart out. It would take my breath away and I couldn’t sing along because all I could do was listen to your beautiful voice. Please sing to me.”

            She couldn’t resist the puppy-dog eyes he was giving her, “Alright. Which song?”

            “This one,” he played Lady Antebellum’s “All We’d Ever Need”.

            Heather liked the song a lot but she wondered why Rich chose that particular one. She was going to ask but instead she took a big breath and sang:

            “Boy it’s been all this time/ And I can’t get you off my mind/ And nobody knows it but me/ I stare at your photograph/ Still sleep in the shirt you left/ And nobody knows it but me/ Every day I wipe my tears away/ So many nights I’ve prayed for you to say/ “I should’ve been chasing you”/ “I should’ve been trying to prove”/ “That you were all that mattered to me”/ I should’ve said all the things/ That I kept inside of me/ And maybe you could’ve made me believe/ That what we had was all we’d ever need.”

            As she looked into his eyes she thought about the lyrics she was singing. She was about to breathe again to start the next verse but Rich beat her to it:

            “My friends think I’m moving on/ But the truth is I’m not that strong/ And nobody knows it but me/ I’ve kept all the words you said/ In a box underneath my bed/ And nobody knows it but me”

            She could feel tears starting to sting her eyes but she pushed them aside and harmonized softly with Rich:

            “But if you’re happy I’ll get through somehow/ But the truth is that I’ve been screaming out”

            Then Rich took over the chorus:

            “I should’ve been chasing you/ I should’ve been trying to prove/ That you were all that mattered to me/ I should’ve said all the things/ That I kept inside of me and maybe I could’ve made you believe/ That what we had was all we’d ever need”

            They got closer to each other as the song’s emotions intensified. They sang the rest of the song with as much emotion as they could both muster.

            As they finished the song they stared into each other’s eyes and their lips inched closer.

            This can’t be happening, she thought. I can’t be sitting here with Rich about to kiss me. He can’t be looking at me like he’s in love with me. This has to be a dream! I want to kiss him but I can’t! I should tell him… I can’t do this!

            Just as he closed his eyes Heather lightly pushed him away.

            “I think we should pack up and hit the trail before it gets too late.”                       

            Rich watched her pack her back pack hurriedly before walking to the pen to get the horses. He shoved everything he had in his back pack and followed.

            They tacked up the horses in silence then headed back the way they came.

            Heather rode ahead of Rich because Sammie was the leader out of the two horses. She liked being in the front because she could be a lone to think about what almost happened.

            How can I tell him? When can I tell him?

            About half an hour into the ride back to the stable Rich finally broke the silence, “Heather can we talk?”

            Her heart started to race, “Sure. Let me stop up ahead where the trail widens so we can ride side by side.”

            She reined Sammie over to the side once the trail widened and Rich kicked Fire to catch up.

            “I’m sorry about what happened in the field. I just got caught up in the moment.”

            “It’s ok,” she answered truthfully although she was a little disappointed.

            “Your voice took my breath away back there.”

            She blushed slightly and answered with a little giggle, “Thank you… I guess.”

            “That’s how I knew it was you at the after party. I knew I could never forget your voice.”

            “I guess it didn’t change since you were gone.”

            “It hasn’t at all.

            “And your voice sounds the same too except it’s a little… I don’t know… more mature.”

            “I guess you can say that.”

            Silence fell between them again for a little bit until they both came up with more words to say.

PT3      Once they got back to Heather’s house they started to BBQ and set up her picnic table. They talked and laughed as they ate and the laughter and conversations continued while they roasted marshmallows over her fire pit to make smores for dessert.

            “Now this reminds me of summer nights at your uncle’s house,” Rich commented after putting together his smore.

            “Yeah it does. I loved his back yard and the huge fires he use to make and the giant marshmallows we used to get,” Heather smiled. “They made the best smores.”

            “They did. I remember the stars too and how much you used to love looking up at them.”

            “There were a lot more of them though because his house was farther away from the city. It was prettier at his house.”

            “It was more romantic,” Rich said softly.

            “That it was,” Heather said without looking at him. She changed the subject and started reminiscing about the times they had spent camping with a large group of their friends at the camp grounds near her uncle’s house. The time flew by while they were remembering old camping stories and laughing about them. The fire had died down and they both agreed it was best to head inside.

            It was a good thing they did because once they did the rain poured down in another hurricane like storm.

            “Rich, do you want to stay over tonight? It’s late and I don’t want you driving in this weather.”

            “If you want me to stay the night I will.” Rich smiled warmly at her and she couldn’t help but smile back.

            “Wanna watch a movie?”

            “Sure. What do you want to watch?”

            “I don’t care. You can choose. All my movies are under the TV in the cabinet and if you can’t find something you like we can order off of on-demand. I’ll be right back. I’m going to change quickly and grab you a change of clothes.”

            “A change of clothes for me?”

            “Yeah.”

            “Vi, if you come down with some frilly pink, no wait knowing you, a purple robe or night gown I’m leaving.”

            “Would I do that to you?” Heather grinned mischievously.

            “Do you really want me to answer that?”

            Heather laughed, “I’ll be right back.”

            Rich shook his head and smiled while she nearly ran up the stairs.

            He just put the DVD he wanted to watch into the player when Heather walked into the living room in her pjs and she threw a pair of basketball shorts and a t-shirt at him.

            “Do you want popcorn?” she called from the kitchen.

            “No thanks. I’m still full from the smores. Unless you want popcorn.”

            “Nah,” she replied walking back into the living room, “I just wanted twizzlers and root beer.”

            “You’re going to make the twizzlers into straws aren’t you?” Rich grinned.

            “You got it!” she laughed. “You were the one who taught me that.”

            “Actually, would you mind if I have some root beer and twizzlers?”

            “Not at all. I’ll go get you a cup and I’ll bring the bag of twizzlers in.”

            “Thanks,” Rich said as he looked down at the clothes she had given him.

            “You’re welcome.”

            “Hey Vi, where did you get these clothes? They look familiar,” he called from the down stairs bathroom where he started to change.

            “They should look familiar because they’re yours.”

            He walked out of the bathroom while he was slipping on the shirt and at the same time Heather was walking back into the living room. She almost dropped the glass of root beer she was holding when she caught a glimpse of his well formed abs.

            Since when was he chiseled?! She said excitedly in her head.

            “You left those pants and that shirt at my house one day. I kept forgetting to give them too you.”

            He looked down at the old blue basketball shorts and the sleeveless T-shirt from a Bon Jovi concert. Heather liked what she was seeing. Rich looked hot in that outfit. But she felt strange thinking that way. Did she really thing her best friend was hot?

            “Now I remember this shirt. I’ve been looking for it since you went away to college.”

            “You never asked for them back and I accidently packed them for college. But they did comfort me. I slept in them whenever I felt lonely or like I didn’t fit in. They made me feel at home.”

            “You always did borrow them from me. Mainly in school when you didn’t have clothes to change into for gym.”

            She smiled, “Yeah then I would take them home, wash them then sleep in them until you asked for them back.”

            “I didn’t mind that you kept borrowing them. I knew you liked them. You picked out the shirt at the concert anyway.”

            “That’s right I did,” Heather giggled. “So what movie are we watching?”

            Rich smiled, “Hidalgo.”

            “My favorite movie.”

            “Mine too,” he agreed.

            “It was the first movie we went to go see for the first time alone together. It was just you and me that day. No one else in our group went with us.”

            “That was a fun day.”

            “It was. Remember you let me rest my head on your shoulder and I almost fell asleep?”

            He grinned, “I do remember that. Well let’s get started with the movie before you do fall asleep.”

            Heather sat down on the couch in her usual spot and Rich spread himself on the rest of it. He rested his feet on Heather’s lap like he used to do when they were younger.

            “Do you mind if I keep my feet on your lap?”

            She raised her eyebrow at him, “Since when do you ask to lay your feet on me?”

            He laughed as the movie started, “You have a point there.”

            About half way through the movie Heather started to get sleepy. She rested her head on the back of the couch but to Rich she didn’t look comfortable.

            “Violet you don’t look comfortable at all like that.”

            “No I’m good,” she lied.

            “You can lie on my chest if you want to. It’s probably more comfortable than cranking your neck like that.”

            She was hesitant at first but she accepted his offer. She slowly rested her head on his well developed peck. She breathed in his cologne and listened to his heartbeat. It was soothing to her.

            It made her flash back to when her father died. He was a New York City cop gunned down on the job. Heather’s mother had died in a car accident when Heather was 17. Stephanie took the death of their father very hard. She wouldn’t talk to anyone except for her then boyfriend who was now her fiancé. Rich was the one Heather turned to for comfort and support when her other friends didn’t know what else to say to her when “I’m so sorry Heather” was only making her feel worst. Rich wouldn’t say a thing. He would just take her in his arms and hold her close, push her head on his chest and stroke her hair which always calmed her down. It was the same thing her dad did when her mom died. The sound of Rich’s heart beat sounded like her dad’s and it made her feel secure and loved. He would also gently kiss the top of her head. She would just stand there with him and sob. He didn’t care that his shirt was getting drenched in tears; all he wanted to do was console his best friend. He was the only one who could really console her.

PT 4     Before the movie was over, her eyes were closed and she was quite comfortable lying on Rich’s chest. She wasn’t fully asleep but she was close to the deep slumber that was calling her name. She loved the feel of his fingers running through her long brown locks. It was a strange way to comfort her, especially knowing the fact that she would only let a select few touch her hair, but it comforted her almost instantly.

            She wanted to watch the rest of the movie because the end was the best part but her eye lids were so heavy and she was so comfortable! The only thing she needed was the blanket to be pulled up to cover her bare shoulders but she couldn’t find the energy to do so.

            She heard Rich chuckle lightly then he pulled the blanket up and covered her shoulders with it. He stopped stroking her hair and rested his hand on her back. After he turned off the TV he planted a sweet, gentle kiss on her forehead then drifted off to sleep. She felt a warm, tingling sensation shoot down her spine but it made her smile as she too drifted off to sleep. 

Chapter 20 by CarterFan28

Chapter 20

            Heather woke up to the touch of warm, bright sunlight on her face. She blinked her eyes as she woke up. She rubbed her eyes then let her hand fall back onto Rich’s chest. For a second she forgot she fell asleep on him last night. She looked at his face and was relieved to see that he was still asleep. She rubbed her cheek on his peck. Her hand glided over the muscles that pushed against his shirt. It felt weird to run her hand down his torso but yet she really liked the feel of his muscles.

            As her fingers inched closer to his lower abdomen, Rich took a deep breath in and opened his eyes. Heather’s hand froze.

            “Good morning,” he said groggily.

            “Good morning,” she said kind of nervously.

            “Did you sleep well last night? You were zonked before the movie ended.”

            “I did sleep well. I usually don’t sleep that well during a thunderstorm like last night’s. I guess it helped that I was really comfy last night laying on you,” she half chuckled.

            “We’ll I’m glad I made you comfy.”

            “Did you sleep well?”

            “I did thanks for asking.” He smiled sweetly at her.

            “Are you hungry?” she asked propping herself up on her elbows.

            “I am a little hungry. Probably by the time we finish making breakfast I’ll be really hungry.”

            “Alright then. Let’s go make something.”

            “But I don’t want to move,” Rich whined jokingly.

            “Well you have to get up so I can. So get up,” she pinched his side.

            He jumped up and exclaimed, “I was hoping you forgot where my ticklish spot was!”

            “Obviously I didn’t,” she stuck her tongue out at him as she got off the couch.

            They made their way into the kitchen and cooked up some bacon, eggs and pancakes.

            As they sat down for breakfast Rich said kind of awkwardly and out of nowhere, “I have to tell you something Vi but I’m not completely sure how to say it.”

            Heather was taken back a little bit, “Well just say it. Since when do not know what to say around me?”

            “Well I have to be brutally honest with you Vi,” he said looking up sheepishly at her from his breakfast plate.         

            “You’ve always been honest with me Rich. Just tell me.”

            He took a deep breath in and Heather felt her heart start to beat nervously.

            “I must admit that you looked really cute when you were sleeping last night.”

            Heather giggled and blushed slightly, “That was it? That’s what you needed to be brutally honest about?”

            “Yeah!” Rich smiled, “Normally best friends don’t say that to each other unless they are joking around. And I’m not joking Vi. You were really cute last night.”

            “Thanks Rich,” she answered with rosy checks. “And since it seems like we are having an honesty moment here, I have to ask you something.”

            “Ask away.”

            “Since when have you been this buff?”

            He chuckled, “What? Is it a bad thing that I bulked up?”

            “No not at all!” she exclaimed then corrected herself, “I mean you look amazing Bud. You are hot. It’s just that you were always a twig in high school I never expected you to be this muscular now.”

            “When I kicked drugs and drinking I had to turn to another thing to occupy myself so I wouldn’t relapse. I gained some weight that I needed to get rid of and Nick had the same problem so we went to the gym together daily and voila! Here’s the new Rich sitting at your table eating breakfast with you.”

            “And I’m glad you’re here. And I’m really glad you took me horseback riding.”

            “It was my pleasure taking you. Trust me it was my pleasure. I forgot how hot you looked riding at a full gallop with that grin on your face and your hair blowing in the breeze,” he said with a smile on his face.

            She pushed aside the complement and said, “I’m also glad I made you stay the night. Nobody knows how to comfort me like you do. I’ve always missed the way you stroked my hair when I was feeling blue.”

            “I missed the way my fingers felt running through your soft hair and I missed the smell of it. I can tell you use the same shampoo because your hair smells the same way it used to back in high school.”

            “I also have to confess that I didn’t realize how much I missed your smile until now,” she looked into his eyes.

            “Your smile was and still is the best thing on this earth Violet. I would dream about that smile of yours and wake up happy. Then it would just depress me to know I was only dreaming.”

            They sat in silence as they finished what else they had on their plates. They didn’t look at each other until Rich said:

            “I have to say that time has been really good to you Violet. You have matured into a beautiful woman. You took my breath away when I saw you in that purple dress at the after party. I’ve always imagined and dreamed you growing into the woman you are now. It’s like you stepped right out of my dreams that night.”

            “It’s funny how we found each other again isn’t it?” she said with her voice lowered.

            “Fate is funny some times,” he replied looking into her eyes.

            Heather took a deep breath in before asking, “Why didn’t you reach out to me when you needed help?”

            Rich didn’t answer. He looked into her eyes for a second then looked away.

            “Rich, why didn’t you come for my help? You helped me through the worst times of my life. You know I would’ve helped you.” Heather started to become desperate for his answer but he didn’t say a word. She got up from her seat across from him to stand in front of him. She placed both hands on his face and made him look her in the eye. “Please answer me,” she pleaded.

            He slowly grabbed her hands and took them off his face. He held them as he answered. “I didn’t want to get in your way.”

            “What do you mean?”

            “You had your plans of going to college, fulfilling your dreams of becoming a music engineer and I knew that if I went to you for help you would’ve pushed all that aside for me. I couldn’t let you do that.”

            “Rich…”

            “You would’ve put your future on hold for little drug addict me. I couldn’t let you do that Heather.”

            “It would’ve been worth it to save you and keep you in my life! I would’ve done anything to help you Bud.”

            “I know that,” he shook his head, “but it would’ve hurt you too much.”

            “Rich?”

            He looked into her eyes, “It would’ve hurt you too much to see the monster I became! I broke my father’s heart and I couldn’t look at my own reflection because I didn’t recognize the so called man looking back at me. I couldn’t stand to think how much it would hurt you to see me the way I was.”

            “Rich I would’ve looked past that to help you!”

            “No! You don’t get it Heather! You just don’t get it!” he raised his voice and gently pushed her aside when he stood up. He walked to the kitchen and steadied himself against the sink.

            “What don’t I get Rich?!” She walked over to him and placed her hand on his shoulder. “Just tell me what I don’t get!”

            “You don’t get what I don’t have the words or courage to say to you! You don’t get what I have been hinting at all night!”

            “Just tell me!”

            He stared into her dark brown eyes and could see tears starting to swell in them. He hated seeing her like this but he couldn’t find the words to say to her.

            “I don’t get why you just vanished from my life. I don’t get why you wrote me that suicide letter and made me think that you really were dead! Do you know how much that hurt me to think my best friend died without me saying goodbye or what I’ve always wanted to say to you!” Tears started to run down her face, “If you had come for my help you still would’ve been a part of my life not just a death note handed to me by a whore of a step sister and pictures in yearbooks and photo albums. Do you know how much you’re hurting me right now? Rich just tell me!”

            He hated seeing her cry but he didn’t know what to say to her.

            “Heather I want to tell you…”

            “Then tell me!”

            Rich ran his hand through his short brown hair in frustration. Heather placed her hands on his face again and pleaded as she sobbed, “Tell me!”

            His blue eyes looked into hers and he hated how much pain was in them. His hands raised up to hers and he held them.

            “Do you remember the last night we spent together before you went away to college?”

            “I remember it like it was yesterday. But what does that have to do with what you can’t say to me?”

            “It has everything to do with the words I don’t have the courage to say to you.”

            Two days before Heather went away to college she, Rich, Jess and her then boyfriend, Kelshie and her then boyfriend, Rose and her high school sweetheart, Steph and her high school sweetheart who was now her fiancé, and Heather’s two other best friends Amanda and Caitlin and their boyfriends, went camping for the last time together before each of them went their separate ways. Each of them never forgot that last day they spent camping together.                 

            When they each settled down in their own tents a thunderstorm erupted. Everyone rushed to Heather’s tent because they knew how much she was scared by thunderstorms. Rich was the first one to reach her though. She let everyone else go back to their tents but she wanted Rich to stay.

            They fell asleep together after he stroked her hair and she rested her head on his chest to hear his heartbeat.

            “I wanted to tell you that night,” Rich half whispered.

            “Wanted to tell me what?” Heather asked as she was getting angrier.

            He continued to speak like he never heard her, “And remember the day you left?”

            “Yes I do but what do you want to tell me?!” she raised her voice.

            He didn’t answer as he flashed back to the day she left for college.

            She had her car all packed and before she said her good byes Rich pulled her aside. They went were no one could see them and they confessed how much they would miss each other. They shared one sweet kiss before they went back to the crowd of friends that came to see Heather drive off. After she started to become emotional she hopped in her car and headed for the highway. As she drove out of the drive way her friends waved to her and Rich shed tears. That was the first time he let anyone see him cry.

PT2      “I was hoping that kiss we shared would’ve opened your eyes to my true feelings about you but you didn’t say anything. All you did was wrap your arms around my neck and squeeze me. You didn’t say a word. You didn’t even ask why I kissed you like that,” Rich shook his head.

            “I didn’t know what to say to you! You knocked me off my feet with that kiss Rich. I couldn’t say anything to you because I knew how much I was going to miss you but I couldn’t tell you that and I knew how much you were going to miss me. I just couldn’t say anything.”

            “So you knew all this time?” he half whispered.

            “Knew what Rich? I’m confused!”

            “I’ve always wanted to tell you that I have had the biggest crush on you ever since freshman year of high school. I’ve wanted to tell you that I dreamed about you and me becoming high school sweethearts and one day settling down together and having my engagement ring on your finger. I dreamed of watching you walk down the aisle in a beautiful wedding gown to become my bride. I dreamed of the perfect family we would have together. Violet I always saw you and me spending the rest of our lives together.”

            “Then why didn’t you tell me?!” she screamed, “Why did you just vanish from my life?! Why did you break my heart by making me believe you died?!”

            He didn’t know what to say so he gently clutched her crying face in his hands and sang staring into her eyes, “Baby, please try to forgive me/Stay here don’t put out the glow/ Hold me now don’t bother/Every minute it makes me weaker/You can save me from the man that I’ve become/Sadness is beautiful loneliness is tragical/So help me I can’t win this war/So hold me now don’t bother/If every second it makes me weaker/You can save me from the man I’ve become/Looking back on the things I’ve done/I was trying to please someone/I played my part/And kept you in the dark/Now let me show you the shape of my heart.”

            She started to weep harder, “Bud…

            “Heather I love you. I have always loved you and that’s why I didn’t want you to help me. I didn’t want to burden you and I wasn’t the same person who grew up with you. I’ve always wanted to tell you that I loved you but I was afraid you didn’t love me back,” he started to tear.

            “You shouldn’t have been afraid because I have always loved you but I never knew how to tell you,” she looked up at him and she stared at him.

            “Do you really mean that?” his voice quivered.

            “I really do Rich,” she smiled through her tears, “I really do love you!”

            He didn’t say a word. He just smiled widely and grabbed her. She jumped into his arms and they kissed passionately. When they finished kissing they stared into each other’s eyes and laughed lightly.

            “It feels so good to finally know you love me back,” Rich whispered into her ear as he squeezed her.   

             She squeezed his neck tighter, “You don’t know how badly I have always wanted to tell you and confess that your dreams were the same as mine. And I’ve also been waiting for you to kiss me like that. You’re a really good kisser.”

            He gently placed her back on her feet and smiled at her, “Well baby, there are plenty more kisses where that came from.”

            She giggled and stole another kiss from him.

            “This is going to be great Vi! You and me together at last. We can make all our dreams come true.”

            “Slowly. We’ll make our dreams come true slowly. I don’t want to rush the relationship we just got back and the relationship we are just starting now.”

            He pushed a strand of hair away from her face and stared into her eyes, “I promise I’ll go as slow as you want to. You set the pace and I’ll be right there with you.” He placed his hands on her lower back as if they were going to slow dance and she placed her hands on his shoulders. She smiled at him but he could see that she was thinking about something, “What’s that look for Violet?”

            “What if it doesn’t work out between us?”

            Rich was taken aback, “What do you mean?”

            “You have your dream job that demands that you travel the world and work almost every single night. Are you going to have time for me?”

            “You can come with me and I’ll make time for you. Trust me, I never want to lose you again. And I’ll do anything to make this work between us.”

            “But I can’t go with you. I have two jobs and the dogs to take care of and my friends and family that I would miss way too much.”

            He put his finger on her lips, “We’ll figure it out. Let’s just spend the day together.”

            “I wish I could Rich but I have to go to work today at the animal shelter.”

            “Ok then…. You doing anything tonight?”

            “Nope I’m free.”

            “Would you like to come to the show tonight at the IZOD center? Then go to the after party with me? I’m DJ-ing for it tonight.”

            “I would love to but how are you getting me in?”

            “I have two tickets and passes for you. The sound check party is already filled but the tickets are for really awesome seats in the VIP section.”

            “I will definitely take them if you won’t get in trouble. But I won’t make it home for the sound check in time anyway.”

            “Me get in trouble? I’m Backstreet’s DJ. I won’t get in trouble. I can get free tickets whenever I want to and I get my choice of tickets too. So don’t worry about it. It’s one of the perks of having your best friend work for Backstreet.”

            She smiled and shook her head at him, “It’s not fair.”

            “What?”

            “You’re winning me over with free Backstreet tickets,” she joked.

            “Is it working?” he grinned playfully at her.

            “It is. But you had me at I love you so you can stop trying so hard.”

            They both laughed then kissed.

            “Well I better get ready for work. I’ll be right back down so I can steal one more kiss before I leave,” she winked at him.

            “Sounds good to me.”

            She ran upstairs and changed into her work clothes. It was the fastest she had ever changed and bounded back down the stairs again. She felt like a love sick teenager who was excited to have her boyfriend take her out on a date. Rich smiled at her as she came down the stairs.

            “That was fast.”

            “I know. I’m running a little late but I really want that kiss.”

            Rich moved closer to her and wrapped her arms around her waist. He grinned at her before he kissed her sweetly.

            “Have I told you that you’re a good kisser?” she smiled at him.

            “You’ve mentioned that,” he chuckled.

            “You can stay here if you’d like while I’m at work.”

            “I’m actually going to head to the gym then I have to meet back up with the tour crew. But thanks for the offer.”

            “You’re welcome.”

            “And here I want you to keep these,” he handed her the sleeveless T-shirt and basketball shorts he wore while he slept.

            “But they’re yours Rich.”

            “I like knowing how much they comfort you so if you don’t come on tour with me you won’t be lonely. Also now that I know where they are I’ll be back to take them if I want them.”

            “Thanks baby.”

            He smiled widely at her, “I like the sound of that.”

            She grinned her reply, “I like it when you call me baby too. Do you have the tickets with you now before we both forget?”

            “Yes I do,” he handed her the tickets and after she put them in her purse they walked hand in hand out to their cars.

            Rich grabbed her again before she got in her car, “I’ll see you tonight baby. I’ll make sure to save a few dances for you. I love you Violet.”

            “I’ll see you tonight baby. I love you too Rich.”

            He smiled, “I love hearing that Bud.”

            “Me too honey.”

            They kissed before Heather got in her car and drove toward work. Rich followed her out of the drive way with a huge smile on his face.

            During Heather’s break her cell phone rang and it made her nervous because it was Nick.

            “Hey Nick!” she answered excitedly hoping her voice didn’t sound shaky.

            “What’s going on sweetie?”

            “I’m at work right now.”

            “Is this a bad time to talk?”

            “No it’s not I’m on my break right now.”

            “Oh ok. Would you like two tickets to the show tonight at the Izod center and after party?”

            “Really?”

            “Yeah. I know you’ve already seen the show but I would really like to see you tonight. I miss you baby.”

            “I miss you too.”

            “Then you’ll take the tickets?”

            “I would love to go tonight.”

            “Great! I won’t have time to drop them off at your house so I’ll give them to the person checking tickets. Just tell that person that you’re the girl behind the mask and you’ll get them.”

            Heather laughed.

            “What’s so funny?” Nick said with a chuckle in his voice.

            “It’s just that it sounds so… I don’t know. It sounds like we’re undercover or something.”

            He laughed with her, “It does sound that way.”

            “But I am excited to see you tonight Nick.”

            “I am too baby.”

            She smiled at the happiness in his voice, “I have to go back to work now. I’ll see you tonight at the concert.”

            “I’ll see you there baby. I’ll look for you in the VIP section and DJ Lani and I are both DJ-ing so I’ll dance with you when I’m not spinning.”

            “Ok honey. I’ll see you tonight.”

            “I love you Heather.”

            “I love you too Nick.”

            As she hung up the phone she bit her lip and started to wonder how she was going to pull off tonight without getting caught between both Nick and Rich. 

Chapter 21 by CarterFan28

Chapter 21

            As Heather drove home she conference called her Backstreet Buds and dished everything that happed with her and the two guys secretly fighting over her.

            There was silence on the other lines after Heather spilled every detail until Kelshie and Jess screamed, “YOU LUCKY BITCH! You have two hot guys chasing you!”

            “I wish I had two guys interested in me at the same time,” Melina commented.

            “I never knew you would date two guys at once!” Kelshie exclaimed.

            “Yeah you’re the goody-two-shoes out of us Hermie!” Jess cackled.

            “Which one are you going to choose bloodsis?” Melina questioned.

            Melina’s question hit her like a ton of bricks. She never thought about which guy she liked more.

            “To be honest, I’ve never thought about that before. They are both amazing guys but come to think of it I’m not sure if it’ll work with either one of them because they’ll both be going on tour and if I do choose one I’ll only be seeing the other one if I do go on tour too.”

            “Are you going to tell them that?” Jess asked.

            “I want to but I don’t want to hurt either of them. Besides I want to have some more fun first.”

            “HERMIE!” her Backstreet Buds screamed.

            “What?” she laughed at her best friends’ outburst.

            “Who are you and what have you done with our best friend?” Kelshie said dramatically.

            Jess said, “This is not like you at all Heather! You never take risks like this.”

            “Well there’s a first time for everything right?”

            “I guess so but you better be careful.”

            “I don’t want to see you with a broken heart sis,” Melina interjected.

            “All three of us don’t want to see you like that,” Kelshie added.

            “I can have fun and still be careful at the same time,” Heather said. “Oh speaking of having fun do you guys want to go to another BSB concert with me tonight? Rich gave me two tickets and so did Nick.”

            “I would love to but I have to babysit my niece tonight,” Jess said.

            “I have no car,” Kelshie replied. “It’s at the garage being fixed as we speak.”

            “I have a family reunion tomorrow and some of my family is coming over tonight,” Melina said.

            “Ok.  I’ll ask Amanda and Caitlin if they want to go with me and maybe Steph or Rose.”

            “Just be careful tonight,” Kelshie warned.

            “I will. I will. I’ll call you all tomorrow when I can so I can tell you what happened. I love you guys.”

            “We love you too,” her Backstreet Buds replied.

            When she pulled into the drive way she hung up and as she got out of the car she dialed Rose.

            She and Rose had the same conversation as Heather had with her Backstreet Buds.

            “Since when did you become a slut Heather?!” Rose said jokingly.

            “I am not a slut!” Heather defended herself. “I just really like both of them at the same time that’s all.”

            “You better be careful.”

            Heather laughed slightly, “I’ve already heard that from the Backstreet Buds. And speaking of Backstreet, I have three extra tickets and I was wondering if you’d like to come with me to the show and after party tonight.”

            “Me go to a Backstreet concert?”

            “Oh yeah that’s right. You don’t go to any concert that won’t have a mosh pit.”

            “You got it,” Rose laughed.

            “Then would you mind puppy-sitting tonight?”

            “I would love to take care of the Puppies!”

            “And if you’d like you can stay over because I’ll be home late and this way I’ll be able to tell you all about the concert first hand.”

            “I’m actually going to stay at Anthony’s house tonight but I’ll go over to yours for a little bit and puppy-sit before I go to Anthony’s.”

            “That works. I’m going to leave at like 5 and I’ll feed the dogs before I leave. If I don’t see you before I leave have a good time with your boyfriend,” Heather said playfully.

            “Oh thank you I will,” Rose laughed her reply. “And you have fun at the concert but be careful.”

            “Thanks Rose I will do both. Oh and if you talk to my sister don’t tell her about Nick and Rich. She doesn’t know and I don’t need her ripping my head off.”

            “I won’t say a word.”

            “Thanks Rose. You’re the best!”

            “I know I am.”

            The next person she called was her good friend Amanda. She didn’t go into detail about what was going on she just asked if she wanted to go to the show and after party.

            “Me refuse free tickets?” Amanda said, “I will be happy to go tonight.”

            “Great! Do you know if Caitlin is free tonight?”

            “I’m right here Heather,” Caitlin, Heather’s other good friend, said into the phone.

            “Oh hey Caitlin! Would you like to go with us to the Backstreet show and after party tonight?”

            “That’s a dumb question my dear. I love BSB! Tell me when and where and I’ll be there.”

            “It’s at the Izod center and the doors open at 7. I’m leaving the house at 5 so I can get the tickets. I figured we’ll just meet each other at the center.”

            “What do you mean you still have to get the tickets?” Amanda questioned.

            “I thought you have the tickets with you,” Caitlin interjected.

            “Let me explain,” Heather started. She didn’t say a word about Nick. She just stuck to Rich’s side of the story leaving out the whole love confession part.

            Amanda interjected after Heather finished, “The only thing is we both have to work tomorrow so Caitlin and I will car pool.”

            “That works for me because I have to change quickly and freshen up a bit. I’ll meet you guys at the concert.”

            “See you there,” they both replied.

            The last person she called was her sister Stephanie. She too agreed to going to the concert but not the after party. Now all Heather had to worry about was keeping her secrets from Nick and Rich.

            Once she got to the Izod center she walked up to the man guarding the main entrance doors.

            “Can I help you?” he asked kindly.

            “Nick wanted me to tell you that I’m the girl behind the mask.”

            He smiled and handed Heather the tickets, “Enjoy the show. You have really good seats.”

            “Thanks!” Heather smiled at the guard then waited for her sister and her best friends.            

            Heather turned around and standing behind her was Amanda and Caitlin.

            “Oh hey!” she smiled, “I wasn’t expecting you guys to get here so quickly.”

            “It’s a Backstreet concert,” Caitlin started, “I could not be late for this.”

            Heather chuckled, “Well you have perfect timing and so does my sister.”

            Amanda and Caitlin turned around to see Stephanie walking up to them wearing her tour shirt from the Unbreakable concert.

            “I can’t believe you got tickets last minute,” Steph said as she hugged her sister.

            “Hey I know the DJ,” she laughed.

            “Will we be able to see him tonight?” Amanda asked.

            “He’ll be DJ-ing for the after party but Nick Carter will be DJ-ing too so when Rich isn’t behind the table he’s going to hang with us.”

            “I can’t stay for the after party,” Steph interjected, “I have work in the morning and I don’t want to stay up too late.”

            “That’s why I didn’t want to pick any of you up because I wasn’t sure how late you could all stay. I don’t have work tomorrow so I’m free to stay as late as I want to.”

            “Good thinking,” Steph nodded her head.

            “So where are our seats?” Caitlin asked.

            “They are in the VIP section,” Heather answered as she passed out the tickets which were surprisingly right next to each other. She breathed a little easier knowing she didn’t have to explain why the tickets were for two separate seatings.

            “And what line do we have to stand in?” Amanda asked looking at the never ending line that winded around the corner of the building. “Because if we have to go to the end of that line I’m going to kill you.”

              As Heather looked at the huge line the guard standing in front of the door waved for her to come near him.

            “Hold on one second,” she told her friends and sister.

            “You and your friends don’t have to wait in line. You two can come right in because you’re in the VIP,” the guard informed her.

            “There are four of us actually. I got two other tickets from DJ Lani.”

            “Are they also for the VIP section?”

            “Yes they are.”

            “Ok then,” the guard said kindly, “The four of you are welcome to come in and find your seats.”

            “Awesome! Let me go get them.” She jogged over to her sister, Amanda and Caitlin and led them to the door.

            “Damn!” Caitlin exclaimed looking at all the dirty looks they were getting from the other fans waiting in line, “It’s good to have connections!”

            The girls laughed as their hands were stamped as VIPs and an usher showed them the way to their seats.

            “These are fucking amazing seats!” Caitlin said as she sat down and waited for the rest of the Izod center to fill up and the show to start.

            Once again Backstreet put on an amazing show! During the show Nick kept looking at Heather and she felt her heart flutter every time he did.

            I can’t believe this is happening to me! She thought when Backstreet took their final bow and before Nick turned to go back stage, he blew her a kiss.

            After the Boys disappeared backstage Caitlin exclaimed, “Nick Carter totally blew a kiss to you, lucky bitch!”

            Heather, Amanda and Stephanie giggled.

            “First you get to spend the night with him at the first concert you go to and now he blows you a kiss on stage,” Steph commented. “I’m worried to know what’s going to happen tonight at the after party when I’m not there.”

            “You spent the night with him?” Amanda questioned almost speechless.

            “At the first after party I was his date for the evening because he gave me the rose during I’ll Never Break Your Heart that’s all. We didn’t actually spend the night together,” she lied.

            “But you wish you spent the night with him,” Caitlin joked.

PT2      The girls laughed then headed for the packed exit way.

            After saying good night to Steph, the other three went to their cars in order to head to the club where the after party was taking place.

            When they got there and waited in line Amanda asked the pivotal question, “So how did you get the tickets?”

            “I got two from DJ Lani who turned out to be Rich and the other two from Nick and they just happened to be right next to each other,” she said matter of fact-ly.

            Caitlin and Amanda blinked their eyes at her in shock until Caitlin said, “Who gave you the last two?”

            “Nick Carter,” Heather said in a half voice so the people around her couldn’t hear.

            “What!?” her friends said at the same time.

            “Keep your voices down,” Heather warned, “To make a long story short, Nick and I exchanged phone numbers after the first after party and went out on a few dates,” she said innocently not wanting to go into great detail with so many people around.

            “Did you stay the ni…” Caitlin started but Heather interrupted her:

            “Shut your mouth! No I did not,” she lied again, “And if anyone asks just say all the tickets came from Rich.”

            Once the girls got through the doors the party seemed to come alive. Nick was DJ-ing and when he saw Heather he smiled at her. She returned the gesture and felt her heart beat faster. Amanda and Caitlin went to go get drinks and when they were out of sight Heather watched Nick for a few seconds until a pair of strong arms wrapped around her waist and a sweet voice said in her ear, “Hey Bud!”     

            She turned around and replied, “Hello to you too baby!”

            She stole a kiss from him without anyone looking. Before Rich could say another word to her she said, “I need you to do me a really big favor.”

            “What is it baby?”

            “I want to keep our relationship a secret for as long as possible.”  

            “Why? Are you ashamed of our relationship or something?!” he started getting defensive.

            “No Rich it’s not that at all! It’s just that I want it to be our little secret and I don’t want to hear that we are taking it too fast. Then when we are both ready to tell people we are dating, we will.”

            “If that’s what makes you comfortable baby,” he pushed a strand of hair behind her ear. “I’m sorry I raised my voice.”

            “It’s ok honey. Just don’t tell anyone about us. Not even Amanda and Caitlin and especially not my sister.”

            “I won’t tell anyone and I haven’t told anyone.”

            “Thank you honey. Also do me a favor and save some dances for me and the other two.”

            “I promise I will sweetheart.”

             Just as they were about to kiss Caitlin and Amanda came back with the drinks.

            “Hey girls! Long time no see!” Rich greeted them.

            “I know stranger,” Caitlin said as she hugged him, “It’s good to see you’re back.”

            “It’s good to be back.”

            “How did you land this gig with Backstreet?” Amanda questioned after she hugged him.

            “It’s a long story and I’ll tell you some other time when we hang out because right now I have to go back to my job. I’ll be back during my second break to dance with you girls later though.”

            “Ok we’ll dance with you then,” Caitlin said warmly.

            The girls were having a ton of fun dancing and once their drinks were drained Caitlin and Amanda headed back to the bar for refills. Heather didn’t go with them because Nick had texted her to meet him in the club’s sitting room where no one else was.

            She found the sitting room and Nick waiting for her in one of the lounge chairs.

            “Hello beautiful,” Nick greeted her smoothly.

            “Hello handsome!” They embraced tightly then kissed deeply.

            “You don’t know how much I love that kiss baby,” Nick said smiling as he stared into her sparkling brown eyes.

            “I have a big favor to ask you,” Heather said a little wearily.

            “You’re every wish is my command.”

            “Before I ask the favor,” she remarked cautiously, “Did you tell anyone about our relationship?”

            “I didn’t want to jinx us so I didn’t tell a soul.”

            “Good. I want to keep our relationship a secret so continue to not tell anyone until we are both ready to let people know about us.”

            “I’ll do anything you want me to do baby.”

            “Thanks honey. Now I want you to dance with me right here.”

            “I’ve been waiting all night to hear you say that,” he smiled at her then grabbed her hand.

            They danced together to the slightly muffled music Rich was playing. It was still loud enough to hear but it wasn’t as loud as being in the main room of the club.

            They danced, grinned, stole kisses from each other, laughed and smiled out of pure joy. Heather loved every second of the privet dance session she was having with Nick. He surprised her by pulling her closer for a sexy, prolonged kiss.

            While they kissed Rich’s voice came on over the microphone, “I love how the party is pumped and crowded like this but it’s time for me to take a dance break with my best friends who showed up tonight. But I have good news. DJ Nicky C will continue to keep the party pumpin’! Have fun for the rest of the night party people! DJ Lani out!”

            “That’s my cue. I have to go baby,” Nick said with disappointment in his voice after pulling away from Heather’s lips.

            “Nick when you’re finished I want to bring you home with me tonight.”

            He smiled naughtily at her, “Ok honey. When and where do you want to meet me?”       

            “In this room when you get the chance to leave. I’ll make it look like I’m going to the bathroom and you text me when you are free to go and no one is around.”

            “Sounds like a plan honey,” he kissed her lips then headed off to go DJ.

            She waited a little while so no one would catch her. She walked past the bathroom on her way back to Amanda and Caitlin to cover up where she was.

            She walked casually up to the table where her friends were and found Rich sitting with them. She became nervous but remained calm when Caitlin asked, “Where did you run off to missy?”

            “My sister called to ask me a question, then Rose called to give me an update on the Puppies and then I had to use the bathroom and here I am now. Hey Rich.”

            “Hey Vi.”

            “Since when do you let him call you Vi?” Amanda questioned, “You always scream at me when I call you Vi or Violet.”

            “Rich is more special than you are,” Heather stuck her tongue out at Amanda.

            “Well ladies how about we dance?” Rich said looking around the table.

            “Oh yes let’s!” Caitlin said grabbing his hand and pulling him onto the dance floor. Amanda grabbed Heather’s and followed Caitlin. The four friends started to dance together but Heather felt a little weird about it.

            Caitlin and Rich were dancing pretty close together and Heather’s blood started to boil. Caitlin had told Heather once that she had a crush on Rich and wanted to date him but they never got the chance to and Rich never liked her in that way. Obviously the crush was still present because of how close she was dancing to Rich. Heather moved closer to him purposely in hopes her action would send a silent message for Caitlin to, “Back off!”

            Heather’s message was clear so Caitlin continued to dance but put distance between herself and Rich while he was oblivious to what was going on.

            About ten minutes later Caitlin got an emergency call from her mom and begged Amanda to leave right away since they had car pooled together. She and Amanda said quick good nights to Heather and Rich before running for the car.

            Once they were out of sight Rich grabbed Heather’s hips and pulled her closer.

            She smiled and started grinding with him to the music. She didn’t care if people were watching them or not and she knew Nick couldn’t see them because of the sea of people surrounding them.

            As the couple got lost in the music time flew by and before they knew it Nick said over the microphone, “I hate to say it but it’s time for the last song of the evening. I hope you all had fun tonight and please get home safely. I don’t know about you guys but I think the best way to end the night is with a slow song and here’s a new favorite of mine called Just A Kiss by Lady Antebellum.”

            “Do you know this one?” Rich asked as Heather placed her hands on his shoulder.

            “Yes I do actually.”

            “Mind singing it with me?”

            “Not at all,” Heather smiled then started to sing, “Lyin' here with you so close to me/It's hard to fight these feelings when it feels so hard to breathe/I'm caught up in this moment, caught up in your smile.”

            Then Rich took over, “I've never opened up to anyone/So hard to hold back when I'm holding you in my arms.”

            Together they sang, “We don't need to rush this, let's just take it slow/Just a kiss on your lips in the moonlight/Just a touch of the fire burning so bright/And I don't want to mess this thing up/No, I don't want to push too far/Just a shot in the dark that you just might/Be the one I've been waiting for my whole life/So baby, I'm alright with just a kiss goodnight.”

            Heather had a second chance to sing by herself, “I know that if we give this a little time/It'll only bring us closer to the love we wanna find/It's never felt so real, no, it's never felt so right.”

            They sang the rest of the song together and Heather couldn’t help but think of the lyrics and how true they were. She really did want to take things slow with Rich and she didn’t want to spoil a single moment of what they were starting.

            When the song ended Rich asked, “Can we spend the night together?”

            She looked into his blue eyes that were a little darker in the club’s lighting and immediately knew he had more on his mind than simply hanging out. “Rich I thought we were going to take things slow? I mean I would love to but let’s give ourselves more time like the song just said. I don’t want to spoil a second of what we are starting together.”

            “Alright baby. And it’s going to sound corny but I am perfectly fine with just a kiss good night. As long as you are happy and comfortable.”

            “I love you Rich.”

            “I love you too Violet.”

            They shared one sweet kiss good night before heading their separate ways.

            Heather casually collected her purse from the table then Rich watched as she headed for the bathroom.

            Once the door swung closed behind her she freshened up on her makeup then texted Nick.

            It took him a few minutes to reply but once he did Heather headed for their meeting room.

            “You ready to go honey?” she asked once she saw Nick.

            “Ready isn’t the word baby.”

            She grabbed his hand and they practically ran out to Heather’s car.

            Little did they know, Rich spied on them until they vanished into the parking lot and his heart strings started breaking one by one with every hurried step Heather took. 

Chapter 22 by CarterFan28

Chapter 22

            It didn’t take Heather and Nick long to get back to her house because there was no traffic on the road what so ever.

            Once Heather turned her car off Nick opened the door for her and took her hand as she got out of the driver’s seat. They practically ran hand in hand into the house.

            They were greeted by the Puppies and once again Shep almost attacked Nick.

            “Shep knock it off!” Heather reprimanded. Shep stopped growling and laid down on his bed in the living room. “I’m sorry about that Nick.”

            “It’s ok.”

            “How about we go upstairs and get comfortable?” she smiled naughtily as she wrapped her arms around Nick’s neck and pressed her body against his.

            “I need to ask you something first.”

            She was surprised by the tone of his voice. She hinted anger and jealousy in it and he had never talked to her in that way before.

            “Ask away,” she answered a little nervous about what he had to say next.

            He sighed then said, “I saw you and Rich dancing together at the club. You two were getting pretty close. Do you have feelings for him?”

            Heather’s heart went into panic mode but her voice stayed calm as she replied, “I don’t have feelings for him.”

            “If you don’t have feelings for him then why were you grinning with him and why did you kiss him before you left to meet me?” his voice was sounding defensive. She realized it was the same tone of voice Rich used when he too got defensive.

            “It was just a dance shared between friends and a one second kiss good night. I didn’t even know we were dancing that close and it’s not like we were making out.”

            “Heather I don’t care if that kiss only lasted a second! I don’t care if it lasted for half a second! You still kissed another man!” He pushed her away and she stared wild eyed at him as he turned his back to her.

            “Nick you’re sounding ridiculous! There is nothing going on between Rich and I! Nothing! It’s you that I want Nick! You! So stop thinking I’m cheating on you because I’m not! You’re my one and only baby!” She was hoping her words sounded convincing. She walked up to him and placed her hand on his shoulder cautiously. “I’m sorry if it looked like I was cheating on you but I wasn’t. Please believe and forgive me.”

            He looked over his shoulder at her and saw the painful and apologetic look in her dark brown eyes.

            “I’m sorry,” he said with a lowered voice. “As you can see I get very jealous. But would it help to know that I only get that way when I really, really like someone?”

            She let out one relieved chuckle and shook her head, “It’s a good thing you’re cute Nick.”

            “So does that mean you forgive me?” When he looked into her eyes she could see he was really sorry.

            “Of course I forgive you. Do you forgive me?”

            “I’d be stupid not to.”

            She grinned at him and he grabbed her into a tight embrace.              

            She breathed in his cologne and smiled when Nick’s voice said sweetly, “Heather.”

            “Yes baby?”

            He placed his hands on her face and made her look him in the eye, “I love you and I want you to know that. And I’m not just saying it because we’ve slept together. You’re beautiful. Physically and personally. You’re the greatest woman I’ve ever known. And I really want you to know how much I love you and that my love is real. And I’ll do anything to show my love for you.”

            The corners of her lips raised slowly into a sexy smile, “Well then, show me how much you love me.”

            He returned the sexy smile, “How about you show me upstairs and I’ll prove my love for you up there.”

            She grabbed his hand and excitedly showed him the way to her bedroom.

            They both panted heavily after they made love. Heather tried to catch her breath as Nick lay down beside her.

            “Nick,” she breathed out, “that was amazing!”

            He smiled concededly, “I had a feeling you were going to say that. But seriously you were awesome too.”

            He wrapped his arms around her ribs and pressed her naked body against his.

            She smiled as she felt his heart beat, “I love feeling your heart beat baby.”

            “It’s beating for you sweetheart.”

            She kissed his lips not knowing how to respond.

            “Heather, I want you to be with me everywhere I go. Come on tour with me. You can see the world and you’ll be by my side every step of the way.”

            “Nick I would love to go with you but I can’t.”

            “Why not?”

            “I have two jobs, three dogs to take care of, and I can’t leave my friends and family.”

            “You wouldn’t have to worry about your jobs. I could support you fully honey.”

            “I will not mooch off of you. I’m independent Nick and I love my jobs. I have amazing students at the high school and I love helping animals at the shelter.”

            “We can take your dogs with us. They can be our mascots.”

            “I don’t think Shep would make a good mascot. Especially since he doesn’t like you for some reason. Besides they would have to go through quarantine where ever we go.”

            “I can always fly your friends and family out to visit us.”

            “Nick I’m not going on tour with you.”

            “We only have a few more cities to go to.”

            “Nick please drop the subject it’s only going to upset me.”

            “I’m sorry baby.”

            “It’s ok Nick. Let’s just fall asleep in each other’s arms. I don’t know about you but I’m pretty tired.”

            “As long as I get to hold you close it sounds good to me.”

            “I love you Nick.”

            “I love you too Heather.”

            This has to be a dream! She thought to herself as she started to drift asleep. Then she felt Nick’s lips softly touch her forehead and his arms slightly tighten their grip around her. Maybe it’s not a dream after all!  

            The next morning Heather woke up in Nick’s arms.

            “It wasn’t a dream!” she whispered excitedly then planted an excited kiss on Nick’s lips.

            He woke up with a smile on his face, “Good morning to you too.”

            “You can go back to sleep if you want. I was just excited,” Heather grinned cutely at him.

            He chuckled, “I don’t think I can go back to sleep. Not after that kiss. Besides I like looking at you more than the insides of my eye lids.”

            “You sweet talker,” she joked.

            “It’s the truth,” Nick’s crystal blue eyes looked lovingly at her. “You are gorgeous.”

            “And you’re not bad looking yourself hottie,” she stuck her tongue out at him.

            “You better put that tongue away unless you’re going to put it in my mouth,” he said naughtily at her.

            She giggled playfully then leaned closer to him. Her fingers tangled in his hair as they French kissed. He pushed her chest closer to his with the arm he had around her shoulders. She felt her heart flutter as the kiss continued.

            When Nick slowly pulled his lips away from Heather’s her eyes were still closed and she remained frozen for a moment until he chuckled.

            She blinked her eyes open and blushed.

            “What are you blushing for?” he asked with a smile on his face.

            “I was frozen in my kiss face. It probably wasn’t the most pretty looking face in the world.”

            “Heather, don’t say that. You are always beautiful to me.”

            She grinned widely, “Have I mentioned that I love when you sweet talk me?”

            “It’s the truth baby.”

            They kissed again but only this time it was more innocent then intimate.

            “Are you hungry Nick?”

            “In fact I am. What’s for breakfast?”

            “Whatever you want but my specialty is French toast.”

            “That sounds good.”

            “And I have a lot of fruit that needs to be eaten.”

            “That sounds even better. I’m sort of a health freak that loves fruit.”

            “I love fruit too.”

            She got out of bed and threw on her lounge clothes and headed down stairs. Nick pulled on his clothes and followed her.

            Heather cooked the French toast while Nick washed and cut the fruit. When breakfast was ready they sat down in the living room.

            “The French toast was delicious honey,” Nick said as he threw his paper plate in the garbage, “And I hate to eat and run but I have to hit the studio today to work on some solo stuff.”

            “I didn’t know you were coming out with another solo album!”

            “Yeah I’ve been working on it.”

            “That’s exciting! I loved Now or Never. I can’t wait for the new one.”

            “Me either. I’m excited about it too. I gotta go baby. I love you and I’ll call you when I can.”

            “Ok Nick. I love you too.” They kissed before Nick left.

            Heather sat down to make up some lesson plans after taking a shower and just as she was about to finish Rich called her.

            “Hey honey!” she answered.

            “Hey,” he replied kind of listlessly.

            “What’s wrong? You don’t sound so happy to be calling me.”

            “I need to talk to you. Are you free today?”

            “Yeah. I just have to make up some lesson plans but I’m almost finished with them.”

            “Alright I’ll be over in half an hour.”

            “Ok honey. I’ll see you then.”

            “Later,” was his last word before hanging up.

            “That was weird,” she said aloud to herself. “We’ve never had a conversation like that before.”

            Half an hour passed and Heather heard the doorbell ring. Shep was the first to get to the door as usual and Lacey and Hunter followed. Heather pushed them away with her leg when she opened the door.

            “Hey Rich!” she hugged him but he didn’t hug her back.

            “Hi,” he replied without emotion.

            “Rich what’s the matter? You can show a little bit of emotion can’t you?”

            “Heather we just really need to talk.”

            “Alright then come on in.”

            He followed her into the living room and took a seat next to her on the couch.

            “So what do you need to talk about?” she asked looking at him. He hung his head toward the floor.

            He didn’t look back at her when he asked, “Do you really love me?”

            “Of course I do! Why would you even ask that?”

            “I saw you leave with Nick last night,” he looked up at her and didn’t say another word as her eyes went wide.

            “Rich I can explain,” she tried to cover but he stopped her:

            “Don’t even bother!” he exploded, “I know what I saw Heather! You grabbed his hand and ran out of the club giggling and smiling all the way back to your car! You didn’t even know that I watched every step you took and it broke my heart piece by piece! And I know, I just know you slept with him last night! How could you do this to me Heather?! I finally let you know that I love you and you fucking stab me in the back!”

            “Rich,” Heather breathed out but he continued to scream.

            “He’s only using you Heather! Did you know that?! All the shit he’s saying about him being in love with you is just so he can get in your pants!”

            “How did you know he told me he loves me?”

            “I know because he’s done the same thing with five other girls on this tour! He told all of them it was love at first sight and he got in bed with them all a few times and once it was time to move onto the next city he said it would never work even though he promised them he would show them the world and begged them to go on tour with him! He’s a player Heather and he’s only going to break your heart! I thought you loved me.” By this point she could see tears starting to swell in his eyes.

            “I do love you Rich!” she screamed back. She didn’t know what else to say and she didn’t mean to but stammered, “B…but…”

            “But you’re also in love with Nick too aren’t you? You believe his lies don’t you?!” Rich was getting angrier as tears continued to sting his eyes.

            “No… Rich,” Heather reached out for him but he jumped off the couch and got in her face:

            “Who do you love Heather? Who do you really love?”

            She didn’t say a word. Tears started to swell in her eyes.

            “Answer me Heather!” he demanded. “Who do you love?!”

            “I love you both,” she whimpered.

            “No! You need to tell me right now which one you want more! The one whose only going to dump you on the street once he goes onto the next show or the one who has loved you since freshman year of high school?! You have always been the only one I’ve ever wanted Violet. Don’t you understand that? He’s only saying he loves you for the sex. He can’t love you like I do and he’ll never love you like I do! The only reason why I’m still alive is because of you! My heart is beating for you and only you! So tell me right now, who do you love more?”

            She slowly rose to her feet as tears started to run down both of their faces. She delicately placed a hand on the side of Rich’s face and sobbed, “I don’t know which one I love more. I can’t choose between the two of you.”

            “Bullshit!” He couldn’t control his strength as he pushed her back onto the couch, “It’s clear to me that you’ve chosen Nick over me because I witnessed it last night when you ran away with him. So don’t even bother saying anything to me.”

            He walked toward the front door while forcefully wiping tears from his cheeks. She got up and ran after him.

            “Rich!” she cried out and placed her hand on his shoulder, “Don’t go! I can explain everything!”

            He turned around in a flash and tightly grabbed her wrist. He stared into her eyes as he held her wrist. She stood there frozen not knowing what he was going to do next.

            “Thanks for breaking my heart Violet,” he let go of her wrist then walked out the door without another word.

            He slammed the door shut and Heather fell to her knees crying. She listened to the sound of Rich’s car driving away. Lacey walked over to Heather and sat in front of her. She knew her owner was upset and she let Heather cry into her fur.

            “I really fucked this up Lacey,” Heather cried. “And I don’t know if I can fix it or not.”                 

Chapter 23 by CarterFan28

Chapter 23

            “Steph can you come to my house? I’m not home but I need you to check on the house and make sure I turned everything off. I left in a hurry this morning. I left you a note on the dining room table. It explains everything. Call me when the note tells you to. Yeah I know I sound like I’m playing a game in some action movie with notes and such but I’ll explain everything later. I just needed to get away. I have the Pups with me,” that’s what the text message that Stephanie woke up to the next morning read. She quickly threw on some clothes and sped over to her sister’s house.

            The house was eerily silent when Stephanie stepped in the front door. She went to the dining room and read the notes Heather left for her.

            “First make sure that everything is turned off like the gas, water ya know all the essentials,” the first note read.

            The second note told Stephanie to read Heather’s dairy. She read every page Heather listed.

            “I can’t believe her!” she thought out loud. “Where the hell did she run off to?”

            “Now that you’ve read Violet I want you to call Nick and Rich and tell them to come over to the house. Tell them that it is urgent. Once they are both at the house read them the letters I wrote for them. It’s pretty important that they know what I have to say. I love you Steph and I promise I will let you know where I am when I find a place I’ll be comfortable in.”

            Stephanie dialed Rich first then Nick and for both she said, “This is Stephanie, Heather’s sister. Something happened to her and she needs you at the house right away. It’s urgent.”

            Fifteen minutes later Rich pulled into the drive way first and right as he stepped out of his car Nick pulled up beside him.

            “Why the hell are you here?” Rich glared at Nick as he got out of his Cadillac.

            “I’m here for Heather. Her sister said something happened to her and I’m concerned.”

            “Bullshit you’re concerned!” Rich screamed.

            “What did you just say to me?” Nick was shocked by Rich’s outburst.

            “Since when would you be concerned about a girl you’re only going to dumb when it’s time to move to the next stop on tour?!”

            “Ok I know you and I have different views when it comes to women but this time it’s different. I love Heather and I want to make sure she’s alright.”

            “You are such a bullshit artist! You don’t love Heather. I love Heather and how dare you use her like one of the other sluts you conned into sleeping with.”

            “Whatever man. Don’t believe me.”

            “Heather is mine! She’s in love with me. So step aside and let me see my baby.” Rich pushed past Nick and started toward the house.

            “Excuse me but she’s mine so let me go first,” Nick grabbed the shoulder of Rich’s shirt and pulled him out of his way.

            “That’s it!” Rich lunged at Nick and knocked him to the ground.

            “What the hell is wrong with you?!” Nick couldn’t believe Rich was acting this way. His hand balled into a fist as he got back on his feet.

            They threw punches at each other and once Rich’s fist connected with Nick’s face. Nick hit him back making his nose bleed.       

            Just then Stephanie came out of the house because she saw the cars parked in the drive way.

            She screamed when she saw them fighting, “You idiots! Stop fighting! Heather is nowhere to be found because of you two! You need to stop fighting right now and come in the house! You assholes chased her away!”

            They stopped fighting immediately and followed the fuming Stephanie into the house.

            “Steph,” Rich said wiping blood from his face, “What do you mean Heather is gone?”

            “She up and left because of you two. I woke up to a text message from her this morning asking me to come over here and read you both something. Now can the two little five year olds behave while I read the letter she left you?” Stephanie was livid.

            Rich and Nick glared at each other then Rich grabbed himself a paper towel to stop the bleeding from his nose and Nick took a seat at the table.

            Stephanie unfolded the purple piece of paper and started reading a loud:

            “Dear Nick,

            I don’t know about you but I have had so much fun getting to know you. I thought about it and you’re right, the connection you felt when we first met is mutual. I felt it too I just didn’t know what it was until now. I love you it’s as simple as that and even though we have known each other for a short time I feel like we’ve known each other for years. Like I said I love you—more than just a fan—and that’s a problem. I’ve been looking for love for such a long time and I felt it with you but, would it last between us? I don’t think I could love someone like you… correction a celebrity like you. I’m sorry. I will always be your fan so I will always love you in that aspect. I hope that’s enough for you because I’m ok with you loving me as just a fan. Yeah the sex was great and you’re an amazing person but I have a feeling your profession would tear us apart.”

            Nick hung his head. He was upset. He truly did care about Heather deeply and he wanted to be with her for as long as he could. But now she was gone.

            Stephanie then looked to Rich and read:

            “Dear Rich,

            What can I say? I still can’t believe you are alive and we found each other again after so many years. I also can’t believe that all those horrible things happened to you of all people. I have to admit that it’s crazy how we did find each other though. And what a ride it’s been between the two of us. All the years, tears, laughs, memories, did I mention tears? But there’s another thing between us that I finally realized when I got that letter you wrote and really noticed it when we found each other. It’s love. Real love. I should have known from senior prom that you wanted to be more than just friends. And like I said to Nick, that’s a problem. The idea of us falling in love is fantastic don’t get me wrong but I don’t think I can bring myself to love you like you love me. I’m sorry Bud. I’m truly sorry.”

            Rich slammed his fist against the wall and headed for the door.

            “Don’t you dare walk out that door because I’m not finished yet,” Stephanie said sternly. She continued after Rich turned around and leaned in the door way:

            “And finally to the both of you,

            I knew this was going to happen between the three of us. You two would be fighting over me and I’d have to choose between you. But I can’t do that because I realized you two are the same and the connections I share with each of you are the same. I love both of you too much to choose either of you. So Nick, thank you for being a gentleman and convincing me that being single for the rest of my life isn’t the way I want to live and that there is a real, down to Earth guy behind the Backstreet Boy. Rich don’t get me wrong, I love that you’re back but I’m not ready to have our relationship grow the way you want it to and have it all crash like it did once before. So I’ll say this, “Just knowing you are out there breathing is so wonderful/It’s a chance I’ll take even if I break it/ I’ll lose it all/If I lose it all… it wouldn’t matter anyway.” I don’t want this cycle to continue with us so I’m ending it now.

            Don’t go searching for me and don’t try calling me because I’ve changed my number.

            Please remember that I love you both.

Sincerely yours,

            Heather/Violet, which ever you loved more.”     

            Rich fell to his knees and screamed, “VIOLET! NO VIOLET NO! VIOLET!”

            He repeated her nick name but every time he did so his voice became fainter until Heather realized Rich was whispering it in her ear.

            “Violet,” Rich whispered a little louder in her ear, “It’s time to wake up.”

            She slowly opened her eyes when she felt a long strand of hair being brushed away from her face. She stretched out her arms then slowly flipped onto her back.

            “Good morning baby,” Rich smiled at her.

            “Good morning honey,” she slightly yawned back. “What time is it?”

            “Four am.”

            “On a Saturday? Why’d you wake me up so early?”

            “Melina’s coming from Germany in about an hour and a half. You said you didn’t want her to wait long for us.”

            “Oh that’s right. I forgot.”

            “Did you sleep well last night?” Rich ran his fingers through Heather’s long, soft hair.

            She grinned, “I had the most emotional, exciting, weird, kick as dream ever last night!”

            Rich chuckled, “Really? You’ll have to tell me about it during breakfast. I’m going to start making French toast.”

            “Can I have a kiss first?” she asked sweetly.

            He grinned widely, “That’s my usually line.”

            She giggled then closed her eyes as Rich locked his lips with hers.

            After the kiss she looked into his eyes and smiled, “It’s great to have you home from tour DJ Lani.”        

            “Heather, I told you I’m only DJ Lani on stage. When I’m home with you I’m plain ole Rich. Got it Vi?” he winked at her.

            She giggled, “I got it Bud.” 

Chapter 24 by CarterFan28

The Truth Behind The Mask

            It was all a dream! The whole Heather and her Backstreet Buds spending time together and going to the concert and everything after that was all just a very long dream. So I decided to clear some things up.

            In this crazy dream Heather had, her father was a NYC cop shot in the line of duty and her mother was killed in a car accident. This was the farthest from the truth. She never knew her father actually and neither did her sister. He walked out on the girls and their mother when Heather was only four years old; Stephanie at the time was six. The divorce was for the most part clean and painless for all parties. The girls had never really knew their father because he was always away on business. It turns out that when he was traveling he was cheating on their mother. She found out and both parties had no trouble filing for divorce. He also had some sick and twisted vendetta against Heather just because she was his second daughter. She was supposed to be a boy. He had always wanted a son but he never got one. Around Heather’s 14th birthday her father started rearing his ugly head and claimed that he wanted to be a part of the girls’ lives again. Their mother would have no part of it. The fighting between the divorced parents persisted for two years and literally drove Heather’s mother crazy. Just after Heather’s 16th birthday she was taken to a mental hospital where she spent the last year and a half of her life. Heather’s father wanted custody of the two girls when their mother was emitted into the mental hospital but their godfather won the custody battle after the girls insisted that they wanted no contact what so ever with their father. He was a nasty man who was a heavy drinker. Heather could remember him calling up her mom and over hearing their conversations when he was drunk. He would say hurtful things about her and her sister and their mother. Once a restraining order was filed against him, he never tried to contact Heather or Stephanie ever again. He showed up to their mother’s wake but was escorted out by police. Heather’s grandfather was once the police chief in her hometown and a lot her mother’s friends where cops and were there that night and at the funeral. That was the last time Heather had seen her father and she never wanted to see him again. At the time Heather was 18 and Stephanie was 20.

            Rich and Heather secretly dated in high school and secretly had sex before she went away to college. They did indeed lose contact and he did start dating Harlow and got addicted to drugs and alcohol. The pain of being so far from Heather drove him to his bad decisions and she was so wrapped up in her school work that she almost forgot about him and she found out from his father that he changed and that he didn't want help so she sort of gave up on him, but not fully. His dad didn't die but he did try to help his son and Rich refused it until Heather found him one day half dead. She rushed him to the hospital and saved his life. Since then she helped rehabilitate him and they started dating when he became completely sober.

            She did indeed meet Melina on the BSB fanclub and Jess and Kelshie are in fact her best friends who happen to live at the Jersey shore. It is also fact that Heather has visited Melina in Germany before and that Melina is coming to visit the US so she and the rest of The Backstreet Buds can go to a concert during the This Is Us 2010 tour. So with that cleared up enjoy my newest story Hurricane.

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11090