Heart Without A Home by emeraldbecca1991
Summary:


Elisa Montgomery's concert experience resulted in something shocking, a friendship with the youngest Backstreet Boy, Nick. Can Nick love her past her pain?

This was my NaNoWrimo 2013 Project, and I'm quite proud of it.
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick, Other
Genres: Angst, Dramedy, Humor, Romance, Suspense
Warnings: Child Abuse, Sexual Assault/Rape, Violence
Challenges:
Series: Nick and Elisa
Chapters: 31 Completed: Yes Word count: 50958 Read: 52240 Published: 11/28/13 Updated: 12/01/13

1. Chapter 1 by emeraldbecca1991

2. Chapter 2 by emeraldbecca1991

3. Chapter 3 by emeraldbecca1991

4. Chapter 4 by emeraldbecca1991

5. Chapter 5 by emeraldbecca1991

6. Chapter 6 by emeraldbecca1991

7. Chapter 7 by emeraldbecca1991

8. Chapter 8 by emeraldbecca1991

9. Chapter 9 by emeraldbecca1991

10. Chapter 10 by emeraldbecca1991

11. Chapter 11 by emeraldbecca1991

12. Chapter 12 by emeraldbecca1991

13. Chapter 13 by emeraldbecca1991

14. Chapter 14 by emeraldbecca1991

15. Chapter 15 by emeraldbecca1991

16. Chapter 16 by emeraldbecca1991

17. Chapter 17 by emeraldbecca1991

18. Chapter 18 by emeraldbecca1991

19. Chapter 19 by emeraldbecca1991

20. Chapter 20 by emeraldbecca1991

21. Chapter 21 by emeraldbecca1991

22. Chapter 22 by emeraldbecca1991

23. Chapter 23 by emeraldbecca1991

24. Chapter 24 by emeraldbecca1991

25. Chapter 25 by emeraldbecca1991

26. Chapter 26 by emeraldbecca1991

27. Chapter 27 by emeraldbecca1991

28. Chapter 28 by emeraldbecca1991

29. Chapter 29 by emeraldbecca1991

30. Chapter 30 by emeraldbecca1991

31. Epilogue by emeraldbecca1991

Chapter 1 by emeraldbecca1991
Nick Carter was happy that tonight was the last show of the tour. He was ready to get home and put everything behind him. He loved his bandmates. They were true brothers to him, but the past couple months had been hell.
First, he’d had a cold that had turned into wicked brochitis.

Then the really bad shit happened.

Maureen had decided she wasn't ready to get married. They had stayed up on the phone for hours, him begging her to tell him what happened, her assuring him it wasn't him. She expressed the wish to be friends, which, while Nick said he'd consider it, made him want to get sick.

He wanted a drink. He wanted one so badly. But he didn’t, because he owed himself and those around him more than that. But every night, he smelled the beer and wine that the fans had in the audience and it was so tempting.
So, yeah, he was glad he'd have a few months to rest before it was off to Japan.

Brian knocked at the door.

"Hey man, we gotta get to the pavilion. Sound check party and meet and greet."

"Yeah, Frick, I'll be there."

Brian looked sympathetic.

"No alcohol, right?"

Nick smiled at him sadly.

"Nah, man, I can handle this. I didn't come this far to be knocked on my ass by this stupid shit."

Brian laughed.

"That's the spirit."

Nick picked up his bag and followed his best friend to the car.


Meanwhile, Elisa Montgomery was dancing in line while her sister, Rochelle, was unknowingly recording it on her cell phone.

"It's known that I'm a liar, often they're blacker than white..." Elisa was singing, smiling as she danced to "Bigger", which was playing out of her phone.

The fans were clapping and singing along, and didn't notice a golf cart riding past them, with Brian Litrell and Nick Carter in it.

“It’s too hot to be April,” Brian said, wiping his forehead as they rode past.

“Yeah, it is,” Nick said, looking at the crowd of fans in a circle. “Wonder what’s going on there.”

“Fight?” Brian asked, concerned.

“Only one way to find out,” Nick said.

"Hey, stop," Brian said to the caddy. He stood on the backseat so he could see over the girls.

Nick rolled his eyes and just stood on his tip toes.
What he saw made him freeze.

A woman was dancing and singing to a song from their last album. To say she was good would be an understatement. She was fantastic. She had a beautiful voice and her moves were on point.

Nick felt something warm in his heart as he watched her and he smiled. She sang every note correctly. She was oblivious to those around her, as she belted out the notes to “Bigger.”

"She's good," he said to Brian, who nodded.

A girl in the back saw them, and Nick placed his finger to his lips and asked her to move aside with his hand.
She did, and quietly, him and Brian made their way into the crowd to the front of the circle where they could get a full view. They bobbed their heads to the music as the song reached its bridge.

"I'll make them up to you..." Elisa was singing.

"Oh yeaaah," Brian surprisingly joined in, to the shock of the girls.

"But you don't care, you keep sticking around," Nick chimed in, taking Elisa's hand and dancing with her, to the squeals of the fans. Her eyes widened as she danced with him, fighting back tears the entire time.

The three of them finished out the song together, and Nick and Brian applauded Elisa as it ended.

"Oh my god, I totally ruined your song, guys," Elisa was saying, horrified.

"No no no, you were great. It was awesome. You have some pipes, girl," Brian said, hugging her.

Nick smiled at her.

"He's right, you did a great job."

Elisa blushed as they made eye contact for the first time.

Nick noticed this girl had the most beautiful brown eyes he’d ever seen. Her eyes were golden brown, and big and bright. He went to say something else, but Brian's phone rang.

"Shit, it's Kevin. C'mon Frack. Ladies, we'll see you in there," Brian said, mock bowing to the fans, who laughed.

Nick got in the cart, but not without another glance toward the girl who had, for the first time in weeks, made him forget about Maureen, if only for a few minutes.




Rochelle was speechless. Elisa was speechless.

All Elisa could do was replay the moment Nick Carter...Nick fucking fine as hell Carter, took HER hand and danced with her. She kept feeling his hands on hers, and seeing his smile and his eyes, all for her. Her. A twenty seven year old girl whose looks were cute at best, forgettable at worst.

Rochelle finally found her voice.

"If I didn't have it on tape, I'd swear it was all a dream," she said.

"Yeah," Elisa said, her eyes closed.

"You're on cloud nine, aren't you?"

"Yep."

"You want me to shut up?"

"Please."

Giggling, Rochelle said nothing more.

Elisa opened her eyes, and grinned. This memory would definitely be one she would never forget.


"Nah man, this girl was gooooood. Even Nicky boy here had his first real smile in weeks," Brian was saying to an irritated Kevin Richardson.

Kevin smiled a little, happy to know it was a fan and not something else that made them late. And he was happy to see Nick was sticking to his sobreity. He was honestly worried this crap with Maureen would shatter all of that to hell.

"Well, when we're on stage for the sound check, point her out to me. I'd like to know exactly who made ya'll so late," he said in his Kentucky drawl. “Let’s get to work, fellas.”

A few minutes later, they were walking on stage. About fifty fans were there for the sound check.

Nick saw the girl right away. She was in the second row in the far left section. She caught his eye, blushed, and looked away. Nick looked at Kevin and nodded toward her. Kevin looked and raised his eyebrow. Looking back at Nick, he nodded his approval.

"Welcome everyone! Is it alright if we sing to you today?" AJ asked, and the party was underway.



Nick sat on his stool next to Brian as Kevin talked about the story behind "Back to your Heart." How he and Kristin had broken up and he wrote it for her, and now they were happily married. Brian turned his mic off and fake snored, making Nick snicker.

“Quit, you’re going to get our asses kicked,” he said to Brian.

“Nah, hey, look. Singing girl is staring at you.”

Nick glanced over to her and winked. She blushed and looked away, which made Brian laugh.

“Quit scaring her, dude!”

“Shut up!”

They both turned their mikes back on as AJ started with his verse. Nick started his, and he looked right at the girl, who did not try to look away this time.

"If I wasn't such a fool, right now I'd be holding you. There's nothing that I wouldn't do, baby if I only knew...the words to say..." he sang, grinning at her.

The song was soon done, and he sent the girl another wink. She smiled uncertainly back, then turned to the girl next to her, who was on the phone. Nick turned his attention to the rest of the fans, and began another song.

***

“SHIT, FINE MOM!” Rochelle was shouting in the phone. Hanging up, she shot Elisa an apologetic glance.

“I have to go get Leah, Mom says she’s sick. I just think Mom wants Der- someone to come over.”

Elisa sighed and handed her keys to her little sister.

“You don’t want to deal with Mom’s crap. I’ll just get a cab home.”

“Thanks sis. Here, take my pass. I was supposed to sit on stage for a while with the guys during the show. Just thank me later.”

“Ha ha, funny. Go get Leah, give her a kiss for me.”

“Will do.”

Elisa watched her sister leave, and, sighing, turned her attention back to the sound check. However, her mood was considerably dampened at the almost mention of one of the most vile men she’d ever met.

Nick caught her eye as he was singing “Madeleine”. She listened to the lyrics, which talked about a girl rising up above tough times, and she grinned. It was definitely what she needed to hear.

After a few more songs, the guys all excused themselves, with promises to see the fans tonight.

Once backstage, Kevin punched Nick in the arm.

"What the hell are you doing? You don't do fans, man!"

"I'm not going to do her, man! I was just making her day better. She looked upset.”

"We don't want her getting the wrong idea," Howie said.

Nick rolled his eyes.

"Come on, we've had obsessive fans before, she's not the type."

Brian came to his defense.

"Yeah, she's just a normal fan, I don't think she's the obsessing type."

AJ laughed.

"Lighten up, Train and D. This is the brightest I've seen Nick since Amazon dumped him, cut him some slack."

Nick aimed a punch at AJ, who dodged it.

"Okay, fine. But don't lead her on, man. Let's go talk to these fans who will be sitting onstage with us tonight," Kevin relented.
End Notes:
Sorry if this takes longer than normal, I didn't do this in a chapter format like i was supposed to. Also Maureen is actually based off of Lauren. I love Lauren to death, don't get me wrong. But when I get in the writing mode, I have no clue what I'm writing until I read over it later, it's like someone has taken control of my brain.
Chapter 2 by emeraldbecca1991
Elisa sat in a chair backstage, waiting for someone to talk about what was happening tonight. There were about 9 other girls with her. Most were talking excitedly. She was the only one who didn't know anyone.

Finally, the boys came into the greenroom.

"Hello, ladies," AJ said, grinning. Elisa smiled at him, and his eyes widened, amused.

"Well well well," he muttered, laughing to himself as Brian, Nick, Kevin and Howie entered behind him.

Apparently, Brian and Nick had already told the rest of them about the singing thing earlier.

Nick caught her eye and shot her an amused smile. Brian's eyes widened and he winked at her.

After explaining about the way things were going to go, the guys hung out for a while. Kevin sat next to her and asked her simple questions. He did not let on that he knew she had sang with Brian and Nick earlier. Elisa was impressed by his seriousness about music and family.

She’d told him how her sister had given her the pass when she had to leave early.

“That was kind of her. Family mean a lot to you?”

Elisa didn’t know how to answer the question, given the past year. Kevin sensed her discomfort.

“You don’t have to answer that. Obviously, you and your sister are close.”

“Yeah, we are,” she said, thankful for his tact.

Nick watched Kevin and Elisa as he talked to another fan. This fan was a little too friendly, “accidently” touching his leg every now and then.

He sent AJ a look that said “Help!”, and AJ relieved him of the groupie chick. He walked to the door of the greenroom, and lingered there until Elisa glanced over. He nodded outside, an obvious gesture for her to follow him.

She followed him until he stopped at a huge speaker. Nick finally spoke.

"So apparently, we keep running into each other." He leaned against the speaker.

"Not on purpose. It was actually supposed to be my sister on stage, but her kid got sick."

Nick smiled.

"I'm not mad about it. To be honest, I’m actually glad to have gotten to see you again.”

“Why?”

“I don’t know, to be honest. I’ve had a couple weeks of crap, and you’re like a breath of fresh air. The first fan not to be all over me.”

Elisa frowned.

"I'm sorry you've had a rough time."

He shrugged.

"I've had worse."

Elisa stood uncomfortably.

"I'm still sorry."

Nick smiled at her.

"I didn't ask you here to be all doom and gloom. Just wanted to thank you, for earlier, Miss...ummm...damn. Here I am, dancing and singing to you and I didn't even have a notion to ask your name."

Elisa laughed.

"Miss Ummmm Damn was taken that day, so my parents had to stick me with Elisa. Elisa Montgomery," she said, holding out her hand.

He took it, but didn't shake. He grinned at her.

"A sense of humor, that's great, Elisa. And you have a beautiful name."

“Thanks,” she said, grinning.

Nick smiled back.

"I should get you back to the greenroom, before the fans think I'm picking favorites."

"Are you?" Elisa asked, a mischievous glint in her eyes.

"Maybe," he mumbled, shrugging.

Elisa's eyes widened.

"Don't do that. It's not fair," she said seriously.

"I'll try, Elisa. Let's head back to the greenroom?"

Elisa walked in first, and ten minutes later, Nick joined them, and interacted with the other girls, although he'd send a private smile to Elisa every once in a while.
AJ plopped himself by Elisa. He grinned at her.

"You must be the sidewalk entertainment from earlier," he said, lowly.

"Does everyone know about that?" she asked.

AJ laughed.

“Yeah, but I reckon it’s the first time one of us mentioned it.”

“Yeah, it is. Is it really that bad?”

"Easy, it's okay. I wanted to say you did a number on my boy over there. He's been in a funk. Today's the first time I've seen him happy in weeks."

Elisa breathed a sigh of relief, and began chatting with AJ about their musical tastes. They were somewhat similar. AJ tripped over the fact that she had seen a KISS concert when she was a little girl. However, when it came to country music, AJ admitted while he liked some songs, he was a novice.

Elisa actually was surprised by how well she got on with him, as his personality was so out there. She typically despised wild people, but AJ’s brand of crazy was tolerable.

She met Howie, who was nice enough, but seemed to be assessing her for something. She felt nervous around him, and was happy when Brian made his way to her.

Brian…was hilarious. He was from Georgia, like her, and they talked about home. She told him how she’d moved to LA when she was seven with her mom, and how much she missed Georgia sometimes. They had so much in common, it was crazy, and his love of his family was endearing. He teased her a little about Nick stealing her away, and how the other girls were probably going to tear her to pieces when they left the room.

Finally, it was time for the boys to get dressed.

"You ladies can watch from the wings, or back here. Or a seat out there. Someone will come get you when it's time to come onstage," Howie said, blowing the girls a kiss.

And, as Brian predicted, three blonds approached her as they left.

“What did Nick want with you?”

“You know he’s engaged, right?”

“I hope you don’t plan on getting far.”

Elisa rolled her eyes.

“First of all, it’s none of your business what Nick wanted with me. Secondly, I don’t think you care about him being engaged, since you were practically jerking him off earlier. And finally, I don’t plan on getting anywhere. I plan on enjoying this concert and I refuse to let you three blond Barbie knockoffs ruin that.”

And, leaving the three stooges in silence, she left the greenroom to watch the show from the wings.

She always admired the way the boys performed, but seeing it up close was unreal. She had no clue how they still did it twenty years later, but they did it and they did it well. If she didn’t know their ages, she would swear it was twenty year olds out there on that stage.

Elisa watched Nick interact with the fans. He was definitely in his element, and his energy was infectious. He laughed, played, sang, danced, and just excelled at it all. She could tell he was high on life, and he was loving it.

As “I’ll Never Break Your Heart” came on, she was joined by the other women in the greenroom. It was almost time for them to go onstage. They watched the boys sing and dance with their mike stands.

That song led into “We’ve Got It Going On” and that’s when the real dancing began. Nick took off his jean jacket and threw it into the crowd, and Elisa lost all brain function as he began to move.

As Nick danced onstage, he occasionally glanced toward Elisa. She was just watching him with a glazed look in her eyes. When she finally caught his eye, he read a mixture of emotions in hers. Yet all of it was gone in a second as she shot him a smile and clapped for him.

The boys came to the wing to escort the girls on stage. There were ten girls, five boys, so each boy escorted two. Nick reached for Elisa's hand, and the hand of another.

"You having fun?" he murmured to her.

"Mhm," she said.

Squeezing her hand, he sat her where he could see her in his peripheral vision.

As the girls were seated, they harmonized the chorus to "Safest Place to Hide." Then they all cracked up onstage and then Kevin went into the story of "Back to Your Heart."

Nick realized how he hadn't thought of Maureen once, and normally he did at this song. Now he was appreciating all the fans out in the crowd tonight as they listened to Kevin’s story.

Brian murmured to him.

“Dude…last time we have to hear this story. I love Kevin but this is getting old.”

“You’re a douche, dude,” Nick said, grinning. Brian had a point but neither of them would ever tell Kevin that.

Howie shushed them as the music began.

As they began to sing, Nick heard Elisa’s lovely voice slightly behind him sing along. He and Brian grinned at each other as they harmonized together, remembering what happened that afternoon.

She had stopped singing by Nick's second verse, though, and out of his side vision, he saw her wiping tears from her eyes.

Elisa was crying because this song was emotional, and she could feel Kevin’s love for his wife in it. She only hoped she could find a man who loved her as much as Kevin did his wife.

"I'd turn back time, to make you mine, and find a way back to your heart. I'd beg and plead, fall to my knees, to find a way back to your heart..."

They finished the song, and Nick turned to Elise, and smiled reassuingly at her. She smiled back softly.
Turning back, he realized it was time for "Madeliene", and since this was the last show, he was going to do something different. Standing up, he went to the first girl in line, and took her hand.

As he sang, he danced with each girl, making the crowd go nuts. He loved it when these ideas came to him, because it made others happy.

At Elisa's turn, he sang soulfully to her.
"Rise up, rise up, rise up Madeliene, the sun will come out again..." he sang, touching her face and smiling. She smiled happily, and he spun her toward AJ, who had joined him in dancing with the girls. Brian, Kevin, and Howie smiled approvingly at the two nutjobs for what they had done. It was definitely a nice thing to do, and it made the crowd happy.

Then it was time for "Quit Playing Games", which was one of Elisa's favorite songs to dance to. She sang along happily when the boys asked the fans to join in.
As the girls were escorted backstage, Elisa smiled. This was definitely one of the best nights of her life.
Chapter 3 by emeraldbecca1991
Elisa walked back to the greenroom after the show to grab her bag. She had had the best time tonight, and she was sorry it was over, but now she needed to call a cab or something to get her home. Her phone was in her bag, so she pulled it out.

Walking out, she ran into Pauly D.

“Hey, pretty girl,” he said, leering at her.

“Uh, hey. You’re in my way,” she said, raising an eyebrow.

“Don’t you know who I am?”

“Yeah, the guy who was the DJ tonight and the guy who was on Jersey Shore.”

Pauly rolled his eyes.

“I’m more than that, if you wanted to get to know me better.”

“Yeah, thing is, I don’t want to. Have a good day,” she said, walking around him, but not before he grabbed her ass.

Reacting out of instinct, she kicked him in the nuts.

______________________

The show ended on a high note, and Nick was so happy to be done. The girls had gone home or to the afterparty, and he was enjoying some peace and quiet.

"OWWW!"

Or so he thought.


He walked out to see Pauly D, one of the opening acts, grabbing his nuts and hitting the floor, and Elisa looking at his writhing form in rage.

"Touch my ass again and I'll rip them off, your sorry sack of-"

"Hey, what the hell?" Nick asked, helping Pauly to his feet while looking at Elisa in confusion.

"That psycho bitch attacked me!"

Nick raised an eyebrow at the douchebag. He punched him in the jaw, which dropped him to the floor again.

“What the FUCK, man?” Pauly asked, glaring at him.

"Don't call a woman a bitch in front of me again, we're not the Jersey Shore. Get to the bus and have the fucking nurse look at you," he said lowly and dangerously. He looked to see Elisa walking away quickly.

“Great, Elisa, you fucked up in front of Nick Carter, and now you’re probably getting sued,” she thought to herself.

"Hey, wait up!"

Elisa turned to see Nick, beautiful sexy Nick, in a black tank top and gray jeans, running to her.

“I’ve got to go, before he decides to sue me or some shit,” she said, continuing to walk.

“He won’t. If he does, he’ll have to sue me too.”

Nick grinned at her. She kept walking, but he grabbed her arm to stop her.

“Hey, did I do something wrong?”

She couldn’t let this happen. She needed to know what he was up to.

"What are we doing, Nick?"

"Huh?"

"What are we doing? We've been doing this...thing all night, and I don't know what to think!"

Nick ran his hand through his hair in frustration.

“Neither do I. All I know is that I see you, and I don't feel like a Backstreet Boy, I feel like Nick. Just Nick. I can tell you anything. Which is fucking crazy because I don't know you from Eve."

Elisa groaned and put her head in her hands.

"This is fucking crazy. Just so you know, I'm not some fucking groupie like half of those women in that room were tonight."

Nick was hurt that she thought that way, and he let her know.

"I know that, Elisa! Jesus, why would I think you were one? You were the only one not throwing themselves at me. Which is what made me like you. You weren't looking for me to find you dancing this afternoon. You didn't go looking for me, and I didn't go looking for you. But yet, here we are. I'm sitting here, pulled to you for some reason."

"You're engaged, though!"

That didn’t hurt Nick like he thought it would.

"Not anymore!”

“What? But I thought-“ Elisa said, confused.

“She dumped me. She wasn’t ready to get married. That's why I've been in a crap mood. I've spent the last couple of weeks trying to get my fiancee back, yet I see you and she's the last thing on my mind. And I know that sounds shitty. But I can't help it."

Elisa gasped, and tried to keep the hope that entered her heart at bay. He stared into her brown eyes intensely.

“I…I have to go,” she said finally, turning and practically running to the parking lot, leaving Nick to wonder what the hell just happened.

____________________________________


The next day, Elisa left work for the gym. It had been a rough day, and her nerves were still shot from the night before.

She was beating herself up for running away from Nick Carter, but that was the go to plan lately since her last relationship had such a drastic ending.

The gym she went to was common place for celebrities, and in the three months she had been coming, she’d met quite a few of them.

Hopping on a treadmill, she put her earbuds in and began a run. She had upbeat music playing to keep her going. Looking out the corner of her eye, she could see someone coming in and she about fell off her tradmill.

It was Nick Carter. Putting her face down, she waited until he passed before looking up again. He chose a treadmill a little ways down from her, and looked frustrated. Luckily, he hadn’t noticed her. Breathing a sigh of relief, she went back to her run.

_______________________________________

Nick was beyond relieved that there was only one other person in the room when he arrived at his gym. He hadn’t been here in a while and wanted to get his miles in.

He was still reeling from Elisa’s rejection last night. He wasn’t even trying to get in her pants, he just wanted to get to know her better.

He ran fast, enjoying the fire in his chest as he did. His eyes drifted over to the other person in the room, and he had to do a double take as she stepped off her treadmill.

“No fucking way,” he whispered as he watched her take a sip of water and leave the room.

He stopped his treadmill and followed her. He didn’t know if this was her or not, but he wasn’t leaving without finding out.

“Didn’t think I’d see you again,” he finally said. She stopped.

“Checkmate,” he thought as she turned around.

Yep, it was her. Nick smiled at her as she blushed.

“Hi,” she said finally, running her hand through her hair.

“Hey.”

“Look, I’m sorry-“

“Not here. Come with me,” he said, going into one of the empty dance classrooms. She followed him in.

“I’m sorry about last night. I was incredibly rude,” Elisa said, sitting on the floor.

“Nah. It’s cool. I was a little overwhelming.”

“Yeah, just a little.”

They both laughed.

“Look, Elisa, I do want to get to know you. I’m not going to lie, you’re definitely one of the most interesting people I’ve ever met.”

"What are you saying?" she finally asked. She was staring at him, fear in her eyes. But there was that longing there, too.

"What do you want from me, Elisa?" Nick asked softly, taking her hand.

Elisa shook her head.

"I don't know."

Nick sighed.

"Look, I want us to ... be friends. I don't want to push anything on you that you don't want."

Elisa looked up at him.

“I’d like us to be friends,” she finally said.

Nick smiled. “Okay then.”

"I'm sorry about your engagement,” Elisa added.
Nick smiled.

"It’s alright. Maybe life is making room for something better.”

Nick caught up with Elisa again as she was leaving the gym.

“Headed home?”

“Yeah, I have to work in the morning,” she said.

“Where you work at?” Nick asked, walking her to her car.

“I’m a high school guidance counselor.”

“Seriously?”

“Yeah. I love my job.”

“Better you than me, I didn’t like teenagers when I was one,” Nick said.

“Maybe because most teenagers were grabbing you and pulling your hair out when you were a teenager. I love helping kids, and since I’m closer in age to them, I prefer high school kids.”

“Yeah that has a lot to do with it,” Nick admitted, laughing.

Elisa giggled.

“I guess I should go,” she said softly.

“Wait, before you do, can I have your phone number? I’d love to chill sometime, just me and you.”

“Um, sure,” she said, putting her number in his phone, as he put his in hers.

“Text me anytime, girl,” he said.

“I will,” Elisa said, putting her phone in her jeans pocket.

Nick watched her as she drove off, with a grin on his face. This was definitely the start of something interesting.
Chapter 4 by emeraldbecca1991
Author's Notes:
We learn more about Elisa's troubled past in this chapter.
“Hey so can I borrow your car? Mom needs mine for God knows what, because Derek took hers.”

Rochelle had called Elisa at work the next day.

“Yeah, I guess. Just drop it off at my house when you’re done. How you getting here?”

“Mom will drop me off.”

“Okay.”

An hour later, Rochelle walked into Elisa’s office, frustrated.

“You need to start telling her no,” Elisa said to her little sister, handing the keys over.

“Wish I could, but I’m not like you. But that woman is going to make me lose my job one day.”

“Don’t let her, Chele!” Elisa said urgently.

“I gotta go. Oh yeah, you still need to fill me in on what happened at the concert that night. Tell me later?”

“Will do.”

_________________________

Elisa woke up to Rochelle knocking on the door the next morning.

“Hey, here’s your keys. Mom’s out in my car so I don’t have long, so give me the short story.”

Elisa grinned.

“I have Nick Carter’s number now.”

Rochelle’s jaw dropped.

“No fucking way.”

“Way.”

A car horn honked.

“Be right there!” Rochelle shouted. “Aren’t you glad Mom needed me to get my kid now?”

“I guess so. I don’t know what’s going to happen, though.”

Rochelle scoffed.

“This is a good thing, Leese. Trust me.”

She hugged Elisa and ran out to her car.

Elisa made eye contact with her mother, who was on the phone. Her mother, Diane, glared at her, and Elisa returned the glare. What her mom had done was unforgivable, but it definitely wasn’t the worst thing that she had put her through.

Diane seemed to blame Elisa for ruining her life. She had had Elisa at nineteen. Elisa could not remember her mother being nurturing for a moment. Her father was the nurturing one, but he was killed when she was younger.

Diane had boyfriend after boyfriend, and finally she had found one that she truly liked. However, after the guy had done something terrible, Diane blamed Elisa for it and had hated her since.

To hear Diane talk, Elisa was an ungrateful lying bitch who hated her mother and manipulated everyone to turn against her. And most people believed Diana. The only ones who didn’t were Rochelle and her father’s mother. Sadly, her grandmother died the previous year, right around the time Elisa caught Diane and Derek together.

Diane broke the glare as Rochelle pulled out of Elisa’s driveway.

Sighing, Elisa walked back inside, and called her therapist. She needed to schedule a session.

__________________________

Nick had just gotten off the phone with Elisa. It was the first time she had called him. She had called him, just to talk. She had just gotten off of work, and needed time to kill before her therapy session.

“When did you start therapy?” Nick asked.

“When I was fourteen. It’s a long story, one I don’t want to get into right now,” she said.

“Okay?”

Elisa sighed.

“Mainly issues with my mom.”

“What happened?”

“If I started with the entire list, I’d write a book. So I’ll start with today. She had my aunt call me, to see about Thanksgiving. That was fun. ‘No, Aunt Connie, I don’t want to go to Thanksgiving because your sister fucked my fiance and I’m just a little bitter about it.’ But that’s my fault, too, so it’s whatever. They’re the reason I’m in therapy, and normally I feel better after I go to see my therapist, so wish me luck,” Elisa said.

“Wait, wait do you mean by fucked you out of a fiance?” Nick asked, confused.

Elisa groaned.

“That wasn’t supposed to slip out. I was engaged last year, until I found them together, in my bed.”

“Who the fuck does that?” Nick asked, disgusted with a woman he didn’t even know.

“My mom.”

“Hold up, why is it your fault? Did you make her fall on his dick or something?”

Elisa cracked up.

“It was my voodoo powers. I was running short of reasons to hate my mom so I made her screw my ex.”

They laughed some more until it was time for her session. She promised to text him with how it went.

Now he was sitting in his room, packing up Maureen’s things for her. She was coming by sometime that week to get it, and he didn’t really want her in his house for too long. He was still stinging but it was getting better. He was sure Elisa had something to do with that.

_____________________

Elisa couldn't concentrate at work . All she could think of was Nick.

It had been three weeks since they met at the gym, and while they had talked on the phone, she hadn’t seen him since then. He was actually a great person to talk to, and he made her feel better when she was dealing with her crap. He wasn’t at all self adsorbed. He always asked how her day was before going into any detail about his.

Yolanda, her co worker and good friend, knocked at her office door, pulling her from her thoughts.

"Hey, I have the list of the seniors who still need to pay their graduation fees," she said.

"Huh? Oh, yeah, just put it on my desk," Elisa said.

Yolanda did, and smirked.

"Okay, what has you off in a daze today? You came in with a bright smile this morning, and you've been daydreaming all day."

Elisa laughed.

"Nothing I want to talk about right now."

"A guy?"

Oh, you have no idea, Elisa thought.

"You can say that," she said.

"Who? Do I know him?" Yolanda asked.

"Nah. I don't think so. His name is Nick, and it's something...complicated. We're just friends but he did act like he wanted more, so I don't know what we are now."

“Is he cute?”

“Beyond.”

“You have a picture?”

Elisa sighed.

“Shut the door.”

Yolanda did. She sat down in a chair across from Elisa.

Elisa took out her phone, and found a picture from the concert weeks ago. Nick in his black tank top, playing his guitar.

She handed her phone to Yolanda.

“Um, Elisa, that’s Nick Carter.”

“Yep.”

“Nick Carter is engaged.”

“Not anymore.”

“He’s in the Backstreet Boys.”

“Yep.”

“You’re telling me that Nick Carter seems interested in you?”

Elisa laughed.

“Yes, I think so.”

Before Yolanda could speak, Elisa’s phone rang.

“Elisa…it says it’s Nick…”

Yolanda handed her the phone, pale and shaking.

Elisa smiled and answered it.

“Hey.”

“Hey, girl. What you up to?”

“I’m working, and my friend here doesn’t believe we know each other.”

“Most people won’t at first, Leese. Look, what are you doing Friday night?”

“The usual. Go home, watch a movie, eat a ton of popcorn.”

“How about chilling with me?”

Elisa winked at Yolanda.

“I guess I could. Why?”

She could practically hear him rolling his eyes at her.

“Because. We’re friends. Friends hang out together. And I haven’t seen my friend in three weeks.”

“Okay smart ass. We can hang out Friday.”

“My ass’s intelligence has nothing to do with this conversation, although I’m sure it appreciated the compliment. Have a nice day, I’ll call later.”

“Okay, laters.” Elisa hung up, giggling.

Looking at Yolanda, she smirked.

“Believe me now?”

“Oh my GOD…I am so happy for you!” Yolanda squealed. “I want details on Friday!”

“As long as you don’t sell them to the paparazzi rags.”
“I promise!”

Elisa smiled, and began to work again.

_____________________________________

Nick was sitting in his music room, playing his guitar. He was practicing “Trust Me”, which was looking to be the next single from the boys’ album. But he couldn’t stop thinking of a certain brunette he’d met almost a month ago.

He was trying to figure out where to take her on Friday night. Elisa wasn’t the flashy type, she was more laid back than the other girls he’d dated.

“You’re not dating Elisa,” he reminded himself.

He sighed and strummed a few more cords. Elisa was cute, with brown wavy hair, and big brown eyes. She wasn’t skinny, but she wasn’t big either. She was much shorter than he was, maybe 5’4.

AJ and Brian thought she was hot and told him to go for it, but Howie and Kevin, the older men, advised against it. They thought he needed more time to move on from Maureen, but the fact was, he didn’t hurt over her anymore.

He heard someone come in the house. Putting down his guitar, he walked out of the room.

“Who’s there?” he asked.

“Um, it’s me. I came to get the rest of my clothes,” a female’s voice sounded.

It was Maureen.

“Oh. Yeah, go ahead,” he said, shrugging and going back into his music room.

A few minutes later, she tapped on the door.

“You okay?” she asked, concerned.

Nick smiled at her.

“I’m better, yeah.”

“No drinking?”

Nick shook his head.

“Not a drop.”

Maureen smiled.

“Good. I didn’t mean to hurt you, you know that, right?”

Nick nodded.

“Yeah. Sometimes, things just don’t work.” He got up and hugged her.

“Yeah. But hey, it was fun,” she said, smiling.

“It was. And I’ll always care about you.”

“Call me if you need anything,” she said, kissing his cheek, and pressing her ring in his hand.

“You too,” he said.

He watched her walk out of the house, and sighed. He’d expected this to hurt more, but it didn’t. Sure, it stung, but he wasn’t heartbroken anymore.

Nick was going to get through this.
Chapter 5 by emeraldbecca1991
Elisa was glad to be home. She had to help intervene in a fight today, and two kids had dropped out. Then her mother called her cell phone, left a horrid voice mail, asking if she could lend money until payday. Elisa had rolled her eyes, and deleted the message.

She came home, turned her iPod on to some country music, and ran a hot bubble bath. Sinking into it, she sighed.

She pulled her bath table to her, and picked up her phone to check her Facebook updates. Just as she was about to log in, her phone buzzed. Sighing, she looked to see who it was, dreading her mother again.

It was Nick calling.

“Hey,” she answered, softly.

“What you doing?”

“Ummm…do I have to answer that?” she asked nervously.

“Are you murdering someone?” Nick asked, laughing.

“No, I’m kinda in the bath…” Elisa said, grinning.

There was silence on the other end for a moment.

“Is it a bad time to talk?” he finally asked, his voice cracking a little.

“No, I can talk. It’s just been a long day, and I need to unwind.”

In his house, Nick mentally groaned. She was naked in her tub, and he was trying not to think of it.

“I get it. Maureen came by today.”

“You okay?”

“Yeah, it’s just stinging a little.”

“I’m sorry,” she whispered. She hummed a little, and Nick heard music in the background. It sounded like country.

“Country girl, huh?” he asked.

“Born in Georgia, you have to be,” she laughed.

“I get it, girl. I like some country now and then. You wanna talk about your bad day?”

“High school fight, two kids dropped out, and then my mother. Asking for money. Just a normal Tuesday.”

“Wait, your mom fucked you out of a fiance, literally, and then she has the nerve to ask you for money?”

“Yeah.”

“What the hell is wrong with her?”

“If I start that, I’d be on the phone all night.”
“No objections here.”

Elisa laughed.

“Give me a minute, I’m getting out.” She muted the phone.

Nick waited and tried to keep the image of her naked body out of his mind. He was not wanting to go there right now.

“Okay, I’m back,” she said.

“So, Yolanda believe you now?” Nick asked.

“Yeah, she’s about ready to kill me.”

“She a fan?”

“Of yours, yeah. She’s jealous that we’re friends, but in a good way.”

Nick laughed and changed the subject.

“You still want to go out on Friday?”

“Of course, I do.”

Nick grinned.

“Good.”

They chatted for a while and then hung up.

Elisa went to bed, happy. She snuggled into her pillow, looking forward to seeing Nick on Friday. Not even her mother could put a damper on this feeling.

_______________________________

Nick knocked on Elisa’s door that Friday evening. He told her to dress normally. He wore a black T-shirt and ripped jeans, with his sneakers.

She opened her door and grinned. He hugged her tightly, feeling all his worries of the past month fade away.

Elisa felt the same way, and she breathed in his scent deeply.

“Where are we going?” she asked.

“That’s for me to know, and you to find out. You hungry?”

She shook her head.

“Not right now.”

“Well, let’s go,” he said. She was wearing a green shirt with black pants and flats. Her hair was up in a pony tail.

He opened his car door for her, and she got in. He got in and turned the radio on, and then took off.

“So we talked about you signing, but what about dancing? From what I saw, you’re pretty good.”

“Stress relief. I go to the gym three times a week, and they have a dance room there, as you know.”

“What’s your dance style?”

“I have so many. Hip hop, latin, I can do an awesome tango.”

“You’ll have to show me sometime,” Nick said.

“I will, one day.”

He pulled into an empty parking lot beside a pier.

“What are we doing here?” she asked.

“This is one of my favorite spots. I brought my laptop and some snacks, I figured we could sit under the pier and watch a movie. I do it all the time. Normally alone, so feel special, you’re the first one to come here with me.”

Elisa grinned.

“So a movie night, just at the beach?”

“Pretty much.”

“That’s so cool!”

She helped him grab the snacks and blanket while he got the laptop. She followed him to a spot under the pier.

She laid out the blanket and sat down next to him. He hit play on the movie, which was The Conjuring.

“A scary movie, on a beach. Now this is definitely the coolest outing I’ve been on,” she said, grinning at him.

He grinned back.

Halfway through the movie, Nick had Elisa’s hand under his. She didn’t object at all, so he kept it there.

All of a sudden, she jumped at something in the movie and he laughed.

“Stop, man, that’s some scary shit!”

“Not for me,” he said, snickering.

“That’s because you’re a freak who loves this shit,” she said playfully.

“I’m a freak in other ways, too,” he said suggestively.

She rolled her eyes and continued to watch the movie. But she had a smile on her face as she processed his words.

As it ended, Elisa shivered.

“You cold?” he asked her, concerned.

“Just a bit,” she admitted.

“Let’s get this stuff back in the car, and we’ll get something to eat, okay?”

She nodded, and they packed up the stuff.

Once in the car, Nick adjusted the heat for Elisa.

“What are you in the mood for?”

“Honestly? A burger.”

Nick laughed.

“Sounds good to me.”

______________________________________

They ate their burgers in the car.

“I haven’t had one of these in so long,” he said, finishing his off.

“I know. Me either,” Elisa admitted as he drove her home.

“Why not?”

“Because I lost a lot of weight and I’m trying to keep it off,” she said.

“Hey, same here,” Nick laughed.

“You still looked alright, I looked terrible. I’ve changed a lot in this past year.”

“I doubt you looked horrible,” Nick said, smiling at her.

“I was seventy pounds overweight, Nick. Trust me, I was a whale.”

“Whatever you say.”

When he pulled into the driveway, he turned to her.

“Tonight was fun,” he said, smiling at her.

“It was. Thank you so much,” she replied. She got out of the care, waved, and walked inside.

Over the summer, their friendship grew. Whenever they could, Nick and Elisa spent time together. Elisa soon knew that she really could trust him, and they grew to be close friends over the next few months.

Then September came.
End Notes:
Sorry for the cliffhanger, update coming right now.
Chapter 6 by emeraldbecca1991
Author's Notes:
*TRIGGER WARNING* This chapter does have the mention of rape. Proceed with caution.
Sometime in September, Nick was driving her home from a gym session they’d attended together.

Nick and the guys were heading to Japan soon, and he was realizing how much he’d miss Elisa’s company.

“So, how’s the new school year going?” Nick asked as he pulled into her driveway.

“Nuts. You have kids wanting to switch classes for the stupidest reasons. It gets on my nerves, but I still love it. One of my personal cases made it to senior year this year, and she’s doing great.”

“That’s awesome. I never graduated,” he said.

“No way!”

“Way. It’s one of my biggest regrets, and I want to go back.”

“If you want help, I’ll happily do it,” she offered.

Nick gave her a huge smile.

“Yeah, I’d like that.”

They were silent for a moment, until Elisa’s phone rang.

“Sorry, it’s my sister…hello? Rochelle, honey, calm down…he wha…WHAT?”

Nick looked at her in worry, because Elisa was visibly upset.

“Okay, I’ll be…I’ll be right there Rochelle. No, make sure his ass does not leave your sight!” Elisa exclaimed, grabbing her keys, and going to get out of Nick’s car.

“Wait, what’s wrong?” Nick asked, grabbing her arm.

“I have to get to the hospital, let me go!” Elisa shouted.

“You’re not driving like this. What hospital?” Nick asked firmly.

She glared at him, and finally said “UCLA.”

Nick spun out of her driveway and headed to the hospital.

“You gonna tell me what happened?”

“Not until we get there.” Elisa said, defiantly. It was obvious she was livid.

It was probably bad, so Nick decided to shut up and drive.

Once in the parking lot, he turned to her.

“What happened?”

“My sister’s asshole boyfriend molested her daughter.”

With that, Elisa bolted out of the car to the doors.

It took him a minute to process what she had said.

“Fuck,” Nick finally said, and he took off after her.


Elisa found Rochelle immediately.

“Leese, what are you about to do?” she asked, fearfully.

“Where is the son of a bitch at?” Elisa asked, furious.

She scanned the waiting room until she found him.

Roger Thomas was sitting in the waiting room, surrounded by cops, in handcuffs. Nick came in just in time to see Elisa bolt toward Roger. Lunging forward, he caught her and held her around the waist.

“LET ME GO! I’M GOING TO FUCKING KICK HIS ASS!” Elisa shouted, struggling against Nick.

“No, Nick, don’t let her go!” Rochelle said, tearfully, trying to help him.

Nick wheeled her around toward him, and grabbed both of her arms.

“I’m not letting you go to jail over a piece of shit like that, Elisa Montgomery, now calm the fuck down,” he said sternly.

“You don’t fucking get it, he hurt my niece!” she exclaimed, punching him in the chest, trying to get away from him.

“I do get that! But you’re not going to jail over this, I mean it!”

Elisa struggled some more, and he tightened his grip.

Finally she stopped and rested her forehead on his chest, trying to control her emotions.

Nick looked over at Rochelle, who was crying, now, and said “Go be with your sister, she needs you.”

Elisa and Rochelle sat down together and held hands. Nick sat next to Elisa and glared at Roger.

Finally, a doctor came out and talked to the cops. He nodded at something and the cops pulled Roger up and led him outside.

The doctor came to Rochelle.

“There was trauma, and it looks like it’s happened before, did you know?”

Rochelle shook her head.

“I had no idea. She never said anything to me, I swear!”

The doctor placed a hand on her shoulder.

“I believe you, sweetie. Still, I’ll have to get a social worker come and talk to you. You can go see her.”

Elisa hugged her sister as the doctor left.

“What happened?”

“I came home from work early, and I heard her crying…I found him over her…” Rochelle said, breaking down.

Elisa looked pale and Nick felt sick to his stomach.

“You want me to stay here with you? Does Mom know?”

“Mom knows. But she’s coming here, so it’s probably not a good idea for you to stay.” Rochelle smiled at Nick and Elisa through her tears. “You two go on home, I’ve got this.”

“You sure?” Elisa asked. Rochelle nodded.

She hugged her sister and got up to go. Nick squeezed Rochelle’s shoulder and kissed her cheek.

“If you need anything, just tell Elisa and I’ll help where I can,” he said.

“Thank you,” she said. “And Nick? Watch out for her, please. This…this is something that’s personal to her, and she needs someone. I can’t say more, just make sure she’s alright.”

The ride back was somber. Elisa was still upset, and she leaned her head against the car window.

Nick reached over and grabbed her hand. He held it the entire drive back to her house. He wondered what Rochelle had meant by this was personal to her. He wasn’t going to pry, he knew that if Elisa wanted him to know, she would tell him.

Once there, she turned to him.

“Thanks for stopping me,” she said softly.

“I don’t know why I did, if it were my niece he’d done that to, I’d have killed him,” Nick admitted.

Elisa nodded, but she was looking up, trying not to cry.

“You want me to come in with you?” he asked.

She nodded.

They both got out, and he took her hand. They walked to the door, and she unlocked it.

They walked in and Elisa sat on her couch. Nick closed and locked the door and sat next to her. He held her hand in silence as he waited for her to talk.

“I don’t understand…after it happened-“ Elisa stopped herself.

“After what happened, Elisa?” Nick asked carefully, but she shook her head. She bit her lip, trying not to cry.

“You can cry, Elisa, it’s just me here. I’d be crying too,” he said gently. “Don’t be afraid to cry in front of me. You’re only human.”

Elisa shook her head but the tears spilled over, and she sobbed.

Nick pulled her into his chest, and she cried. He ran his fingers through her hair and comforted her.

Elisa felt safe in his arms, and as she cried she wanted to tell him why she was so upset. However, she didn’t want to scare him off with her crap.

As he rubbed her back, she felt calmer. Her worries just melted away, as they always did when they were together.
With a sniffle, she pulled back, and laughed a little.

“I ruined your shirt,” she said.

“Nah, I can wash it,” Nick said lightly. “You okay?”

“I’m better. I can manage better, now. Thank you. For…everything, really.”

Nick smiled and hugged her. “Anything for you. I’ll call you tomorrow, okay?”

She nodded, and he kissed the top of her head softly.
“Are you going to be okay?” he asked.

She nodded.

“Yeah.”

“Okay. Goodnight,” Nick said, as he left.

Elisa walked to her bathroom, and opened her Xanax bottle. She needed one after tonight. Tonight brought back too many bad memories.
Chapter 7 by emeraldbecca1991
Elisa got up the next morning and drove to the hospital, where they were releasing Leah to Rochelle.

Leah was in good spirits, considering what had happened to her, and Rochelle looked a little better.

Leah had talked to the social worker. She had said Roger told her she couldn’t tell her mommy what he was doing, or she would be mad at her. After a few more talks, the doctor and social worker cleared her to go home to her mom, but it was suggested that Leah was to see a counselor twice a month.

“So, you and Nick?” Rochelle asked in the car.

Elisa smiled as she drove.

“We’re friends.”

“Uh huh. Sure you are, sweetness.”

“Shut up,” Elisa said. “We’re having fun being friends. Maybe it will be more. Who knows?”

“Well, I think he’s very sweet. He saved your ass from jail last night.”

“I know he did.”

Rochelle looked back at Leah. She was busy playing with her stuffed frog.

“I hope she never remembers it,” she whispered.

Elisa saw the pain in Rochelle’s face as she looked at her.

“Yeah, me too.”

_______________________

Elisa arrived home after spending the day with her sister and niece. She sent Nick a text, saying she was home and she’d call him later.

She poured a bowl of cereal and watched some TV.

“Some news here, apparently Nick Carter and his fiancee Maureen are done! Maureen was seen on the streets of New York kissing another man, and when their publicists were contacted, it was confirmed that the couple split months ago, amicably. Nick’s publicist stated that “things were handled well and the couple have a mutual respect toward each other. They weren’t ready to settle down, and ended things on friendly terms.” With Nick headed to Japan with the Backstreet Boys, there will be some very happy ladies to greet him!”

Elisa rolled her eyes and turned the channel. They were only four months late.

She found a horror movie on and she settled in to watch it. She laughed at the memory of her calling Nick a freak for liking these movies. He was definitely rubbing off on her.

She fell asleep halfway through it.

Her phone rang at 10:00 and she woke up, startled.

She saw it was Nick.

“Shit, Nick, I’m so sorry, I fell asleep,” she said as soon as she answered.

“Naw, it’s fine, don’t apologize. Just calling to check up on Leah and Rochelle.”

“Oh, they’re fine. Leah is in good spirits. Rochelle is trying not to blame herself.”

“She shouldn’t, it wasn’t her fault.”

“I know that. But still…anyway, changing the subject, I saw the news earlier,” she said.

“Yeah, that was funny to see. So, look, you think you can take Tuesday off? It’s my last full day before Japan, and I want to spend it with you.”

Elisa smiled a little.

“I’ll see if I can take off early, but Wednesday is a day off from school anyway, so I can’t take Tuesday off, too.”

“Understandable,” Nick said. “So, what do you think of spending some of Tuesday with me?”

“I’d love to.”

_________________________________

On Tuesday, she walked in happily, as Yolanda rolled her eyes playfully at her.

“Personal reasons my ass! You’re fooling no one!” she called after her. Elisa stuck her tongue out at her.

She filled out paperwork and talked to a few students, counting the hours before it was time for her to leave.


Yolanda was working on something a few hours later as a man cleared his throat.

“Does Ms. Montgomery work here?” he asked.

“Yes but she’s in with a student and she’s leaving early today- oh, my God…” she trailed off, as Nick Carter, in a leather jacket, blue jeans, and a kind smile stood in front of her.

“Yeah, she’s not expecting me,” he said, chuckling at the look on Yolanda’s face.

“Um, have a seat Mr. Carter, she’ll be right out.”

“Don’t tell her I’m here, just say last minute visitor,” he suggested, smiling wickedly. “And it’s Nick.”

“Yolanda,” she said breathlessly.

“Yeah, she’s told me about you,” Nick said, sitting down as Yolanda called inside to Elisa’s office.

“Last minute visitor…I know but he’s very insistent and is refusing to leave until you see him…I know…Don’t give me that, I know exactly why you’re leaving early…okay.”

Yolanda turned to Nick, laughing.

“She’s not happy.”

“Of course not,” Nick replied, snickering.

The door opened.

“Okay, Michelle, just have it to me by the tenth, and we’ll send it off, okay?”

“Yes, Ms Montgomery.”

Michelle left the office and Elisa turned to Yolanda.

“Where is the visitor?”

“Right there,” Yolanda said, pointing at Nick.

Elisa turned, and then smacked Yolanda with her clipboard.

“You two are so mean!” she said, laughing as Nick hugged her.

“C’mon, Ells. You’re mine for the next few hours.”

“Have fun,” Yolanda said teasingly.

“Take my car to my house, Yolanda. At least you don’t have to use the bus,” Elisa said, tossing her her keys.

“Will do, girl.”

Elisa followed Nick out to his car.

“Where are we going?”

“Well, where would you like to go?” Nick asked. “As long as I can spend the day with my best girl, I don’t care what we do.”

“Well, I have a thing for graveyards, so I was wondering…if we could go to Forest Lawn?”

Nick thought for a moment.

“Damn, I really am rubbing off on you,” he said, laughing. “Yeah, we can.”

Putting the car in drive, he headed out.

“Are you excited for Japan?” Elisa asked.

“Yes. I love Japan. But I’m going to miss you. You’re like my best friend, and I don’t know what I’m going to do without you over there.”

Elisa smiled.

“Ditto. But you have Brian, don’t you?”

“Brian’s my boy, sure. But I don’t feel the same way about talking to him about stuff like I do you. Although your interests are so similar it's crazy. But I guess all Georgians are cousins or something.”

"First of all, Tampa-man, it's est Virginia that does the cousins thing. Secondly, Brian's a Georgia transplant, since he's originally from Kentucky."

"So? I was born in New York, but I consider Florida home."

"Yeah...but...damn. Point to you," Elisa finally said as Nick smirked.

She changed the subject, and they talked about Japan the rest of the way.

They parked, and a guard let Nick and Elise go right in.

“Who exactly are you looking for?” Nick asked
.
“Well, I can’t see the exact place where Michael Jackson is, but I’m looking for Clark Gable, James Dean, Liz Taylor, all of them.”

“Okay,” Nick said, taking her hand.

They spent most of the day finding the graves and talking about old movies. Nick actually didn’t watch old movies unless they were horror movies.

Nick learned her favorite movie was Gone with the Wind, and it was her favorite book as well. A Georgia thing, she’d said. Which made a lot of sense in Brian’s case, who loved the hell out of that movie.

He watched her as she stared at the building that held Michael Jackson and Elizabeth Taylor.

“You a Michael fan?” he asked her.

“Yes. He’s the reason I dance. I was a mess when he died.”

Nick smiled and touched her arm.

“We all were. I loved the dude, he was really cool, too. I remember defending him one time.”

Elisa smiled.

“He was the best, and he knew it. Sadly, the world was cruel to him”

Giving the building one last look, she said “I think we can go somewhere else now. If we stay here too long, we’ll probably attract celebrity zombies or something.”

Nick laughed.

“Okay.”

They walked back to the car.

“Your turn now,” she said.

“What about my place for a movie?” he asked.

Elisa grinned.

“Sounds good to me.”


Nick’s house wasn’t obnoxiously huge, but it was definitely beautiful. It was on the sound-front, and if she looked closely, she could make out his boat in the back.

He showed her in.

“Make yourself comfortable, I’ll pick a movie,” he said, taking off his jacket and laying it on the counter.

Elisa sat on his couch and looked around. There were pictures of his family and friends everywhere. She smiled at a picture of him and Brian goofing off. And she was surprised to see a self taken picture of the two of them framed on an end table. He took it at the gym after she’d done five miles on the treadmill.

He came in with two movies.

“Left or right?” he asked.

“Ummm…left,” she said.

He looked down and groaned.

“Looks like I get to see what the big deal is with Gone with the Wind. I’m going to need some popcorn for this,” he said, grumbling.

“Wait, you actually have the movie?”

“Don’t judge me, my sister Brian left it here.”

“I’m going to tell him you said that.”

“He’ll embrace it and channel his inner Southern Belle,” Nick said in a horrible southern accent.

Elisa laughed.


“What’s the other movie?” she asked.

“Dracula, the one with Gary Oldman.”

“Ooh, let’s watch that.”

“Really?”

“Yeah! I love it. It’s one of the few horror movies that I have seen before I met you.”

Nick grinned.

“Cool.”

He put it in, and settled next to her.

They were soon engrossed in the movie.

Nick watched Elisa out the corner of his eye. He really liked her. Sure, she came with baggage, but she was upfront about it. She definitely had a take me or leave me attitude. He has said she was his best friend, but he knew what he was feeling was a hell of a lot more than friendly shit.

He kept wondering what it would be like to date her. Really date her. He was enjoying being friends with her, but, frankly, he wanted more with her. It didn’t help that the more he hung around her, the more he realized she was the sexiest woman he’d ever known. Her sassy attitude, her looks, the way she could banter with him like the boys could, it was all a major turn on.

It was dark by the time they were finished with the movie. Neither wanted her to go home, just yet, so Elisa challenged Nick to cook. He made spaghetti while she made a salad, and they ate dinner together. Elisa deemed his dinner acceptable, for a guy who lived off of whatever food the road offered.

Finally, it was time for her to go. Nick drove her home, and walked her to her door.

“Today was wonderful, Elisa,” he said softly.

“It was. Thanks for everything,” she replied back, looking up at him.

He took his hand and caressed her face again. She looked into his blue eyes, and she saw true sadness. He was really going to miss her in Japan.

However, there was something else there, too. She knew immediately what it was and her walls went up in an instant.

“Look, Elisa, do me a favor.”

“What?”

“Don’t go dating guys until I get back?”

“Why?”

Nick sighed.

“Because, I want to be that guy. These past few months, I don’t know. I love being around you. You’ve become more to me than my friend, and the thought of not seeing you for a month is already hurting. I just want to know if you’ll wait for me.”

Elisa was panicking. She wasn’t ready for this. She wanted this, but she was not ready to hear those words leave his mouth.

“I don’t know, Nick. I know I won’t be dating anyone, but I’m not sure we’re ready for that. I don’t want to be a rebound.”

Nick shook his head.

“You’re not just a rebound to me, Elisa,” he said urgently.

Elisa knew he was being truthful.

“I don’t know, Nick. I see you, and you’re…everything I could ever want in a guy. But so was Derek, and look how that turned out.”

“I’m not going to fuck around on you.”

“I know that! But my trust issues are still there, and-“ Elisa stopped, trying to stop the horrible memory from returning. “I’m more than a little messed up, Nick. I’ve never kept that from you.”

“So am I. But you do something to me I can’t explain. You make all that bad shit I feel go away. And I know I do the same to you. I can feel it.”

Elisa looked up at him again, and his eyes were full of emotion.

“If you say no, fine. We can still kick it like we do now, because I don’t want to lose you. But I just want you to think about it.”

“I’ll think about it. But I won’t date anyone else. I promise,” she said.

Nick drew her close, and dipped his head down and kissed her.

This kiss was strong, like whiskey. It burned, and it was making Elisa want more.

Nick drew away.

“Something to think about,” he whispered. He then turned and walked back to his car.

Elisa went inside, and took a deep breath. She still felt his kiss burning on her lips.

What the hell was she going to do?
Chapter 8 by emeraldbecca1991
Nick was waiting at the airport the next day, and he was not in the best of moods. He hated flying, and Elisa wasn’t here. True, he hadn’t asked her to see him off, but he still hurt nonetheless.

The rest of the guys were saying goodbye to their families, and Nick had no one. As usual.
This time, it was probably his fault. He shouldn’t have kissed Elisa like that. He knew it was a bad idea, and now he’d probably ran her off for good.

He decided to text her.


Sorry about last night, don’t know why I did that. Well I do, but I shouldn’t have. Be safe while I’m away, and know that wherever I’m at, you’re on my mind.


He heard a phone go off behind him and a voice say “Hey.”

He turned and saw Elisa. She had a small smile on her face as she sat next to him. She checked her phone and smiled slightly as she read the text message he just sent.

“Don’t be sorry. I’m not mad,” she said.

AJ noticed her and nudged Brian. Brian glanced over and grinned.

“I swear, they’re going to be together by the time we get back,” AJ said. Brian nodded.

“Yep. Something went down last night. We’ll know soon enough.”

Howie heard them.

“Nah, I don’t think so,” he said.

“Want to bet?”

“A hundred bucks.”

“Deal.”

Brian shook his head at the two goons as he directed his attention back to his family.

“I can’t give you an answer today, Nick. I’m still hurting by what my ex did. I know you’re not him, but still. I really like you. And I promise, I will think about it. But I didn’t want you to go without me saying goodbye,” she explained.

“I don’t want to make you do something you don’t want to do. All I want is to make you happy. If just being friends is what makes you happy, then fine. I’m happy you came to see me off,” he said, hugging her tightly.

Elisa looked up at him, with tears in her eyes.

“I’ll miss you.”

“Me too. More than you can imagine,” he replied, wiping the tears from her face.

She stood on tip toes and kissed his cheek.

“Stay safe, Kaos,” she said, smiling.

“You too, Leese.”

Elisa watched him leave with the guys, and she smiled as he turned to her and blew a gentle kiss to her.

Then he was gone.

A small tan girl with a baby and a kid came to her.

“Are you Nick’s new girl?” she asked.

Elisa just realized she was surrounded by the Backstreet Wives.

Shit.

A blonde smiled at her.

“Don’t be afraid of us, we’re not going to get upset. I’m Kristin, Kevin’s wife.” She introduced everyone.

“Rochelle, that’s my sister’s name,” she said when she met AJ’s wife.

Rochelle laughed.
“It’s a cool name.”

“Look, if you ever need help or anything, let us know. I see the way Nick looks at you, he is crazy about you,” Leighanne said. Leigh, the tan girl, nodded.

“Thanks.”

Kristin looked back as they walked away, and saw Elisa wipe away her tears.

“Hey.”

“Hmm?”

Kristin smiled sadly.

“It doesn’t get easier.”

_______________________________

Nick was in his hotel in Japan later that night, when, right on cue, AJ and Brian came in.

“Well, well, WELL!” AJ exclaimed. “Mr. “I don’t do my fans” happens to be doing a fan!”

“Shut up, Jay. I’m not doing her. We’re friends.”

“They way you were acting toward to her was not friendly. That was lovey dovey girly shit.”

Nick rolled his eyes, but said nothing.

Brian grinned.

“You like her. You have from that first day.”

“Yeah, I do. But she needs time to think things over. I know she likes me but some real bad shit went down with her ex.”

“Like what?” AJ asked.

“You are worse than a girl, man! It’s not my place to say what happened,” Nick said, throwing a pillow at him. “She said give her time.”

“Then give her that time, man. Respect that of her,” Brian said.

Nick sighed and shrugged.

“Alright man. I’ll do that.”

“And while you ‘do that’, you better keep your head in the game, man. We don’t need you chicking up on us,” AJ kidded.

Nick threw another pillow at him.

“Don’t you have to go be a dick somewhere else?”

“Not until four.”

The trio enjoyed a laugh, and then they got ready for their first assignment.

That night, he and the guys visited a radio station to promote their tour and CD. They laughed and cut up like little kids. They then performed “Madeleine” on the air.
Their first show was the next night, and Nick gave it his all, as he did every night. Dancing and singing, this was his talent, and he loved it.

After the show, he sent Elisa an email. He’d heard about the government shutting down in the United States. He was worried about her.


Hey, girl. Hope everything is going well stateside, heard about the shutdown, that doesn’t affect you, does it?
Japan is great, sucks without you here, though. Heard you met the Backstreet wives, they’re not so bad, don’t let them get you down.
Missing you like crazy, can’t wait to see you again.
-Kaos


“Are you...uh….emailing Elisa?” AJ asked, sitting in the car, looking nervous.

“Yeah, why?”

“Fuck. Um…no reason. None at all.”

Nick rolled his eyes and hit send.

___________________________________________

Meanwhile, Elisa was actually in a meeting about the shutdowns. It didn’t affect her job as far as if she lost it, but she was getting kids in droves, worrying about their parents losing theirs. She had 10 students a day asking for early release so they could get jobs to help their families.

Her phone buzzed, and she looked. It was a text from AJ? Nick had actually given her number to AJ just in case something bad happened, so she could know firsthand and not on the news. AJ, however, loved to text Elisa all the time with jokes, and most of them were not rated PG. While sometimes it got on her nerves, she was happy that AJ liked her enough to include her in on the jokes thing.
So, worrying that something went wrong, she opened it. What she saw almost made her gasp, and she shut her phone quickly. Opening it back up she sent a frantic text to AJ.


“I am going to fucking kill you when you guys get back!”


“SHIT I AM SO SORRY THAT WAS MEANT FOR ROCHELLE. MY WIFE, NOT YOUR SISTER. FUCK. DAMN. DON’T TELL NICK!”
was his reply.

“Now, I know that it’s hard but we need to tell these kids that their first priority is school, and I’m sure most of their parents would agree,” the principal, Allen Drake, was saying when she began listening again.

“Actually sir, I had a couple parents asking me to encourage their children to drop out all together,” Elisa said.

Mr. Drake shook his head as the rest of the staff gasped in horror.

“That’s the last thing anyone should be telling these kids. So do what you feel is in THEIR best interests, and we’ll handle the rest. Meeting adjourned.”

Yolanda sighed and looked at Elisa.

“That sucks about the kids.”

“Yeah. I had to refrain from telling those parents off. I said I’d do what I thought was in their kids best interests and hung up.”

“So, any word from Nick?”

“I’m about to check. These time zones suck,” Elisa said.

She went to her office and checked her email. Sure enough, there was an email. She read it and smiled.

She wrote one back.


No, I didn’t lose my job, but these parents are making me want to quit. Can you believe that some are wanting their kids to quit school so they can work? I’m disgusted.
Other than that, I’m fine. I’m really bored at night with no one to talk to, and I don’t want to disturb the fellas’ girls.
I’m ready for ya’ll to get back, I still need to corrupt you with Gone with the Wind, which I am now rereading. Tell Brian that I still think that, while Scarlett tried to be a strong woman, she went about it the wrong way so I can’t see her a role model.
When are you guys coming back? I would be lying if I said I didn’t miss you, because I really do.
Please stay safe, and oh yeah, kick AJ in the nuts for me. He’ll know why.
~Leese



Her inbox had a message five minutes later.



Oh man, what did he do? He was acting funny earlier, so consider it done.

Sorry about the parents, that really does suck.

I don’t know when, exactly, but I’ll be sure to postpone it, I don’t want to be corrupted! Lol and what? I’ll just have Brian read that line, I have no clue what the hell you’re talking about.

I miss you too, and if you get lonely, shoot me an email or a text, and I’ll answer it as soon as I can, I promise =)

I’ll be safe as long as you don’t worry too much.

Now get back to work

-Kaos


Elisa laughed and closed out her inbox. She called in the next student, happier and more willingly to help them.
___________________________________


Meanwhile, Nick was chasing AJ around the hotel conference room while the others watched.

“Tell me what you did, and I’ll try not to hurt em too bad.”

“Okay okay! I sent Elisa a text that was meant for Rochelle.”

Nick stopped, and his jaw dropped. Brian did a perfect facepalm, and Howie and Kevin’s faces were a combination of horror and amusement.

“Jay, no…”

“Yeah, sadly, your chick now knows what AJ Jr looks like.”

“You fucking dick…”

“Yeah, my dick is now on Elisa’s phone. I’m sorry man!”

Howie and Brian began to crack up as Kevin shook his head and tried not to smile. He eased up behind AJ and punched him in between his legs.

“There you go, Nick.”

“Thanks, Train.”

“No, don’t thank him! He just ruined the chances of Ava being a big sister, the dick!” AJ moaned from the floor.

“We have enough mini Backstreeters running aound, don’t you think?” Kevin asked. “Now get off the floor and let’s get to work.”

They got back to work on their show that night. Nick shot AJ a disgusted look as they did.

____________________________________________

Kristin and Elisa stopped at Starbucks a few days later. Kristin wanted to get to know Elisa better.

“So Kevin told me about you dancing and singing. Where’d you learn to do all of that?”

“I didn’t. It’s just a hobby. My passion is in helping kids, that’s why I became a guidance counselor.”

“That is so great! You guys don’t get paid enough.”
Elisa grinned as she sipped her frappacino.

“I’m not all about the money. If I can help a kid, that’s reward on its own.”

“I wish more people thought like you. I hope Mason and the baby have a teacher like you,” Kristin said. She put down her cup. “So, Nick.”

Elisa blushed.

“I still don’t know what to do.”

“Yes you do. You two have known what you wanted since you met. I think you’re scared that you’ll hurt him or he’ll hurt you,” Kristin replied.

“I’m scared I’ll hurt him. His ex fiancee seemed to hurt him deeply when she left him. And with his sobriety, I don’t want to be the reason he ends it,” Elisa explained.

Kristin smiled.

“Sweetie, I think you have nothing to worry about. He’s smart, and if he was going to fall off the wagon, he’d have done it by now.”

“I’m not like the other girls he’s dated,” Elisa said.

“Of course you’re not, and that’s not a bad thing. That’s a really good thing. He needs a grounded girl like you,” Kristin said. “You know, Kevin and I broke up once, but I couldn’t stay away. He was my best friend, and I couldn’t be away from him.”

“It doesn’t help he wrote you a beautiful song,” Elisa said, grinning.

“Yeah that too. Nick and you, you’re cute together, you’re best friends, and he really cares about you. I’m not telling you what to choose. I’m just saying that he’s a good man.”

Elisa smiled.

“Thanks. I think I know what I’m choosing.”
Chapter 9 by emeraldbecca1991
Nick called Elisa from his hotel room later that night.

“Hello?”

“Hey, what time is it there?” she asked sleepily.

“It’s three in the afternoon,” he said, feeling guilty.

“Did I wake you?”

“No, actually, I was just headed to bed. It’s 10 o clock here, last night to you.”

“Shit, girl, I’m sorry.”

“No, it’s great. I was hoping to hear from you. I miss you,” she said.

“I miss you too. Just a few more days, and I’ll be there.”

“I know.”

Nick laid back on his pillows.
“What are you doing?”

“Laying in bed. I just got done doing some paperwork for an ex student. Today was a boring day, thank God.”

“No problems with your mom?”

“Nope,” she said, yawning.

“Look, let me let you sleep, Leese. I’ll call you in your morning. I need to get some sleep before tonight anyway.”

“Mmkay,” she said. “Later.”

“Later, Leese.”

____________________________

The guys stepped off of their private plane two weeks later. They were back in Los Angeles, and their families were meeting them at the tarmac.

Nick watched his brothers’ faces light up as they saw their families. He knew they missed them, and he finally understood the rush home. He was ready to see Elisa. His heart ached for her.

Howie and AJ immediately ran to their families. They had new babies they missed dearly.

So did Kevin but he was helping Brian off the plane, because the klutz twisted his ankle playing ball.

Nick helped Kevin and Brian, then searched the faces for Elisa.

“Where’s Elisa?” he asked Kristin as he reached her.

“She’s sick. Stomach flu, it was going around her school.”

“So she’s home?”

Kristin nodded, and Nick kissed her cheek.

“Have fun, guys, I’ve got to go get my girl,” he said to the fellas.

“She’s not yours yet!” Howie called after him, desperately. He had 100 dollars riding on this.

“Shut up, Howie, and be prepared to fork it over later. I know my boy, he’s got this girl,” AJ said as Nick took off.


______________________

Nick paid the cab, and then went into his house. He changed quickly into a t-shirt and jeans, and then ran out to his car, and headed to Elisa’s.

He texted her when he was in her driveway.

Heard you were sick…everything okay?

I feel like someone threw me out of a plane


I’m sorry. Wish I could make you feel better

Me too.


What are you doing?

Watching some stupid shit on TV. Don’t have the energy to get the remote.


You have your door, locked, right?

I don’t think so. Rochelle was here earlier and she left it unlocked after her.


Remind me to thank her later.


“What the fuck are you talking about, Nick?” she grumbled as she typed to him. Just as she was hitting send, her door opened.

“Who’s there?” she asked weakly.

Nick closed the door and locked it as she breathed a sigh of relief and joy. He put something down at the door and kicked off his shoes.

“You asshole,” she said smiling at him.

“I’ll take that,” Nick said, smiling at the sight of her. He walked to the couch, lifted up her legs and sat down. He let her legs fall into his lap as he brushed some sweaty strands of hair from her face.

“This is definitely not how I was going to welcome you home,” she murmured.

“Oh, don’t worry about that, girl. I just want you to get better.”

“But I was going to tell you I made a choice,” she whined.

“Tell me later. Right now, I’m just going to lie here with you and sing until you fall asleep,” he said, adjusting himself to where he was behind her. He began to softly sing “Faithfully” as he rubbed her back, until she was asleep.

And Nick decided to fall asleep too.

Four hours later, Elisa woke up, disheveled and warm. But the pain in her stomach was gone, and she was a little hungry.

She felt someone behind her, and, turning, she saw that it was Nick, who was peacefully sleeping. He’d stayed when he didn’t have to, which made her feel even more confident in her choice.

Elisa decided to take a shower while he slept. Then she would get something to eat.

Nick woke up to see Elisa gone. He was confused at first until he heard the shower. She must be feeling better.

He checked the time and was shocked to see he’d slept for nearly five hours. Jet lag was a bitch to deal with.

Elisa came out in stretch pants and a blue U-necked shirt. Her hair was wet, and hanging loose.

Nick smirked at her.

“Feeling better?”
“Tons.”

Nick stood up and took her hands.

“You had me worried when you weren’t at the airport.”

“I’m sorry. I started feeling shitty last night, and this morning, it was bad.”

“Don’t apologize, you can’t help it. I'm just glad you’re feeling better,” Nick said, hugging her. “God, I’ve missed you.”

“I’ve missed you more,” she said softly.

He pulled away a little to look at her.

“That’s impossible,” he whispered, looking at her lips and biting his.

Elisa sighed, trying to ignore his gaze.

“Quit that, it’s distracting me,” she said.

Nick snickered but quit biting his lip.

“I know you said you made a decision but I wanted to do one more thing before you tell me.”

Elisa looked confused, but she sat on the couch as he grabbed his guitar out of its case.

“You’re going to sing to me?”

“Yeah. You know This is Us, right?

“I like it, but I don’t know the lyrics all that well.”

“So, the song explains itself, so here it is…


Got a million reasons to run and hide
I don't blame you for being scared, for being scared, no
'Bout a novel long, all the pain that he's caused you
Baby I'm fully aware, I'm fully aware
If I could change the stories ending to me and you
don’t know the meaning of pretending what to do
I could be the one, give you all my love
Forget what he has done to you, I'm here now
Open up to me, love will set you free
If ever you believe it, please believe in me
This is us, this is us
This is us, this is us
This is love, this is love
Let the world know, baby
This is us, this is us
This is us, this is us
This is love, this is love
Let the world know, baby, this is us
I know everything isn't meant to last
Box up all those photographs, you're moving on; yeah
I could flip back over that hour glass
And refill the better half, the better half
And it's a miracle how broken hearts can mend
Won't you dry up all those tear drops and start again?
I could be the one, give you all my love
Forget what he has done to you, I'm here now
Open up to me, love will set you free
If ever you believe it, please believe in me
This is us, this is us
This is us, this is us
This is love, this is love
Let the world know, baby
This is us, this is us
This is us, this is us
This is love, this is love
Let the world know, baby, this is us
If I could show you there's no risk of being left alone
Would you let your past go, I'll take it slow
'Cause there's no need to rush when I know
I could be the one, give you all my love
Forget what he has done to you, I'm here now
Open up to me, love will set you free
If ever you believe it, please believe in me
This is us, this is us
This is us, this is us
This is love, this is love
Let the world know, baby
This is us, this is us
This is us, this is us
This is love, this is love
Let the world know, baby, this is us"




“Nick Carter, you are crazy,” she said, laughing, but wiping away a few tears.

Nick laughed and put his guitar up, and then he sat on the couch beside her.

“So, Elisa, I have officially sung to you, and I meant every word in that song. And I am sure once the guys find out; they’re never going to let me live it down. All of my pride is officially gone. What do you say?”

Elisa grinned at Nick.

“I say…looks like you have a girlfriend,” she said.

Nick smiled brightly and drew Elisa to him.

He kissed her, and she returned the kiss enthusiastically. This kiss was romantic, slow, and sweet, and it completely melted her heart.

“Thank you,” he whispered, breaking the kiss and looking into her eyes.

“For what?”

“For making me the happiest man in the world.”
______________________________________________________

AJ got the text from Nick, and whooped from his restaurant seat.

“Fucking pay up, Howie! Nick and Elisa are a thing!” he shouted, showing him the text.

“Damn it,” Howie said, forking over a hundred dollars to AJ.

As AJ read the text he laughed.

“He sang to her. Oh man, he’s such a chick,” he said.

“Oh really, Alexander? So you’re going to pretend you didn’t beg for me in a song?” Rochelle said, raising an eyebrow.

“Hey, don’t say that in public, you’ll ruin my reputation!”

Leigh and Rochelle laughed at their husbands. Rochelle sent Leighanne and Kristin texts stating that all the boys were now taken.

“Great. Kevin owes Brian 250,” was Kristin’s reply.
Chapter 10 by emeraldbecca1991
Elisa and Nick took their relationship slow. They were happy, truly happy. Nick turned out to be an even more amazing boyfriend, surprising her with flowers at work, being understanding about her rough days, and just being there when she needed him.

About a month after they made things official, Nick arrived at Elisa’s house to see her sitting on the steps, holding something in her hand and crying.
“Baby, what is it?” he asked, rushing to her.
He took the paper she was holding.


We are cordially inviting you to celebrate the marriage of
Derek Victor Young
To
Diane Patrice Montgomery
January 28 at 6:00 PM at the Beverly Hills Hotel


“Who are these people?” Nick asked.

“My ex and my mother,” Elisa sobbed.

Nick’s stomach dropped to the ground.

“I’m not crying over my ex. He’s a piece of shit and I hope he burns in hell. I’m upset that my mother, my own mother, wanted to hurt me this way. It’s her handwriting on the envelope.”

Nick sat next to her and took her hand. He looked at the invitation, and laughed.

“You can’t make it anyway. It’s my birthday that day, and of course, you don’t want to miss it,” he said.

Elisa laughed. “Yeah, I guess so,” she admitted. Sighing, she laid her head on his arm.

“I know what you need,” he said, putting an arm around her.

“What’s that?”

Nick kissed her deeply.

“While your kisses are amazing, Nick, I don’t think they can solve all my problems,” Elisa said, jokingly.

“Hey! My kisses could probably cure cancer if it was possible,” he said, pretending to be hurt. “But that wasn’t what I was thinking of.”

“Well, what was on your mind?”

“You need a night out on the town. With me. I think it’s time for our first date.”

____________________


Kristin arrived at Elisa’s house twenty minutes later, with three clothing bags and a makeup bag. Nick had gone to his house to get ready. It was him who had called Kristin, since Elisa complained about not having anything dressy enough, yet refused to let him buy her something.

“Okay, so Nick told me what happened, and let me just say that if it were my mother, she’d be having her ass kicked. So I need to get you looking hot as hell for your date with Nick tonight. He’s already told me where he’s taking you, and you need to look great.”

“Where are we going?”

Kristin laughed.

“Nice try, sweetheart. Not going to spill it.”

Elisa laughed.

“It was worth a shot.”

Kristin grinned.

“Okay, let’s get started.”

_______________________

Nick pulled up two hours later, and saw Kristin’s car still in the driveway. He walked up to the door and knocked.

Kristin answered.

“Just in time, Kaos.”

“For?”

Kristin laughed.

“Elisa, he’s here.”

Elisa came out, and Nick’s eyes widened.

Kristin was a fucking master.

Elisa was dressed in a black cocktail dress, with black high heels, and her hair was half up, half down.

She looked absolutely beautiful.

“Well, say something.”

“Kristin, you need to get paid to do this.”

“Not to me, you idiot, to her!”

Elisa laughed, nervously.

Nick walked over to her and tipped her head up so she could look at him.

“You look beautiful,” he said softly, and he placed a tender kiss on her lips.

She smiled.

“Thanks. So where are we going?”

Nick grinned., and shook his head.

“You’ll see.”

__________________

Elisa could not believe her luck. She was the girlfriend of the sexiest man in the universe. Nick’s hair was adorably tousled., and he was wearing a white dress shirt, black jeans, and a black suit coat.

She had to be dreaming.

They talked about their day. How she celebrated when a particularly difficult student was accepted into UCLA. How he was working on some new music. Some of it was inspired by their relationship, which made Elisa blush.

“Get used to it, baby, I’m a musician and you’re my muse,” he said sweetly as he pulled into the parking lot of the best Italian eatery in town, and helped her out of the car.

“You brought me to the best Italian place in town?” she asked in disbelief.

“Dating a Backstreet Boy has its perks, baby girl,” he said, kissing her cheek.

They were ushered in to a private booth, where they were served bread sticks. The waitress asked for their drink order, in which they both ordered water.

“So, what about the press? I mean, your ex was spotted weeks after you split with someone else, and I’m sure they’re more interested in you anyway,” Elisa asked.

“Well, that’s up to you, babe. I mean, I love my group, and I’ll defend it til I die. But we’re not the top of everyone’s must see list anymore. If they see me and you together, sure, we’ll be photographed for a while. But they won’t obsess. You think you can handle it?” Nick asked.

Elisa grinned evilly at him.

“Bring it on,” she said, sipping her water.

“Atta girl,” he said as the waiter asked for their order.

Nick ordered the lasagna for him, and Elisa ordered a calzone.

“So, now that you know my birthday, when’s yours?”

Elisa smiled.

“February 21st, I’ll be 28.”

“No way, I figured you for at most 25,” Nick said in disbelief.

“Well, you don’t exactly look like you’re 33, either, so there.”

“Touche,” Nick said as he ate a bread stick.

“So what’s next for the guys?”

“I do have a few gigs coming up that are out of the country. We have to be in Italy in three weeks.”

Elisa thought a moment.

“That’s fall break,” she said.

Nick nodded.

“Yep. And I was thinking…”

“Are you trying to ask if I want to go?”

“I was working my way up to it, yeah,” Nick admitted.

Elisa giggled.

“I’d love to go. I’ve always wanted to go to Italy.”

“Well that settles that. Where else have you always wanted to go?” Nick asked.

Elisa thought.

“Geeze, I don’t know. Ireland is another, definitely.”

Nick grinned.

“It’s beautiful. I’ll take you one day.”

Elisa raised her eyebrows.

“I couldn’t let you-“

“I told you, it comes with the territory, baby girl,” he said, kissing her hand.

Their food arrived, and they began to eat.

Nick smiled as he watched Elisa eat. She may be self conscious about her weight, but she didn’t act like it. He knew she was pretty active, and all in all healthy, so that part of his life was not going to change.

After dinner, Nick walked Elisa out to the car.

“Where to next?” she asked.

“Well, you know about Frankie J?”

“Yeah?”

“He’s playing at a club in town, want to go?”

“Uh, yeah!” Elisa said excitedly.

Nick laughed as they got into the car and drove to the club.

When they got there, they found seats in the VIP section. A few girls tried to approach Nick, but he brushed them away as he only had eyes for Elisa.

“Do you know Frankie?” she asked.

“I met him a couple times, but other than that, no. You want to meet him?” Nick asked.

“I wouldn’t complain,” Elisa said, shrugging.

“I’ll make it happen,” Nick promised, kissing her hand as Frankie took the stage.

He began by singing “Obsession”, and Nick sang the lyrics softly in Elisa’s ear. He hugged her from behind and swayed back and forth to the music.

Nick soon began to realize every song Frankie sang, he could relate to. “#1 Fan” was about a man feeling attracted to a girl but doesn’t want to push her too fast. “Never Let you Down” was a song about a girl done wrong and another man is wanting to make it better.

He and Elisa danced to the songs, and Nick was slowly getting turned on every time she moved against him.
They hadn’t talked about sex yet, but he was sure that she wasn’t wanting to go there right now. However, she was there, and she was so fucking hot and sexy as she moved to the music. He knew she was loving this, and the sight of her so happy was a gift in itself.

They sang along to the music together and danced, gathering the envious glares of the girls he brushed off earlier, but the couple didn’t care.

Frankie then sang “Story of my Life” which was one of Elisa’s favorites. She sang along softly as she closed her eyes. Nick squeezed her softly and kissed her cheek as he watched the show.

Finally, he’d reached the second to last song, which was “Suga Suga”, and he asked everyone to dance and sing along.

Nick and Elisa danced close together to the beat of the music. Elisa loved feeling him move against her, and his face was just a beauty to look at. His eyes were taking her in and he was biting his lips as he concentrated on dancing with her. She was definitely turned on, and tried to keep all the fantasies at bay. At least until she got home.

The last song was a remix of Obsession, and their dance continued. Elisa loved dancing to latin music. It was hot, sensual, and it could tell a story if you paid close attention.

The story she told with her body was that she was girl coming into her own. Sure, she had a sexy boyfriend, but she was still her own person and she could put the said sexy boyfriend under her spell. And she did. Nick had never seen her like this before, and he was determined to see her like this again.

“Come with me,” he whispered in her ear as the show ended.

He led her to the back where Frankie was.

Frankie recognized him right away.

“I thought that was you up there, Nick!” he said, bumping fists with Nick.

“Good to see you again, Frankie, how’s the family?” Nick said, following him into a greenroom.

“They’re good. Kids are growing fast. Heard about your engagement. I’d say sorry, but…” Frankie said as he smiled at Elisa, “I don’t think you’re too broken up about it. Hi, there.”

“Shit, baby girl, I’m sorry. Frankie J, meet my new girlfriend, Elisa Montgomery.”

“Hi,” she said, shaking his hand. “I’m a huge fan.”

“Nice to meet you, Elisa. How’d you two meet?”

Nick talked about the concert and Frankie grinned.

“You sing?”

“Not professionally, it’s strictly a hobby,” Elisa said.

“Care to sing a song with me? I mean, not out there, back here is fine.”

Elisa looked at Nick, unsure.

“Hey, if he’s like me, he’ll love your voice. Go ahead,”

Nick encouraged her.

“There is one song…I think of my dad when I sing it. ‘Daddy’s Little Girl’?” she asked. Nick smiled a little, knowing that she’s never said anything bad about her dad. He must have meant a lot to her.

“Alright,” Frankie said, grabbing his guitar.

“You start, and I’ll come in,” she said.

“Alright.” He began to sing.


“He drops his suitcase by the door
She knows her daddy won't be back anymore
She drags her feet across the floor
Trying' to hold back time, to keep him holding' on
And she says, "Daddy, Daddy, don't leave
I'll do anything to keep you
Right here with me
Can't you see how much I need you?
Daddy, Daddy, don't leave
Mommy's saying' things she don't mean
She don't know what she's talking' about
Somebody hear me out
"Father, listen
Tell him that he's got a home
And he don't have to go
Father, save him
I would do anything in return
I'll clean my room, try hard in school
I'll be good, I promise You
Father, Father, I pray to You"


Elisa joined in.


“Now she hasn't slept in weeks
She don't wanna close her eyes
'Cause she's scared that he'll leave
They tried just about everything
But it's getting' harder now for him to breathe
And she say, "Daddy, Daddy don't leave
I'll do anything to keep you
Right here with me
Can't you see how much I need you?
Daddy, Daddy, don't leave
The doctors are saying' things they don't mean
They don't know what they're talking' about
Somebody hear me out
"Father, listen
Tell him that he's got a home
And he don't have to go
Father, save him
I would do anything in return
I'll clean my room, try hard in school
I'll be good, I promise You
Father, Father, I pray to You”


Frankie and Elisa sang together in perfect harmony.


"Please don't let him go, I'm begging you so
Let him open eyes, need a little more time
To tell him that I love him more
Than anything in the world, it's daddy little girl
"Father, listen
Tell him that he's got a home
And he don't have to go
Father, save him
I would do anything in return
I'll clean my room, try hard in school
I'll be good, I promise You
Father, Father
She was daddy's little girl”



Nick grinned as they finished.

“Damn, Nick. You weren’t kidding. I’d like to talk to you more about singing sometime, because you have a gift, Elisa,” Frankie said.

“I really appreciate that, but I love my job. I’m a high school guidance counselor. Besides, I see Nick’s life enough to know that I couldn’t handle being a famous singer. But thank you.”

Frankie grinned.

“Whenever I’m in town, we should sing together for fun. No pressure.”

“I’d like that.”

The three sat and chatted for a while.

As Elisa and Nick went to leave, Frankie smiled.

“You guys look good together. I wish you both the best,” he said.

They said thanks, and then headed back to the car.

“So where next?” Elisa asked.

“Our spot,” he said, kissing her on the cheek.

He drove out to the pier, and together they walked to the spot under it where they watched the movie.

Nick sat down and Elisa sat between his legs. He wrapped his arms around her as they watched the ocean rise and fall.

Elisa laid back into him.

“This is definitely the best first date ever,” she whispered as he placed a kiss on her shoulder.

“Yeah, it is,” Nick agreed, threading his fingers through hers.

They sat in silence as the waves crashed on the shore. Elisa shivered, and Nick took off his coat and wrapped it around her.

“I am so glad I met you, Elisa. I really am. I haven’t felt this amazing since, well, ever,” Nick said.

Elisa smiled.

“Me either. Honestly, there’s times I forget you’re famous. When its us together, I don’t care about the cameras and the touring and all that. It’s just you and me.”

“I feel that way. I love this feeling.”

“I’m still scared, though.”

Nick adjusted to where he was sitting in front of Elisa.

“Don’t be. You couldn’t hurt me, and I don’t think I’d ever intentionally hurt you. You’re it for me. And yeah, I know it’s too early and I’m not going to say it right now. But you need to know that one day, I’m going to say three words to you, and when I do, I’m going to mean it from the bottom of my heart,” he said, softly.

Elisa sighed and touched his face.

“It’s no rush, Nick. We’ve both been through a lot, and it’s important we take it slow,” she said.

Nick kissed her sweetly.

“You mean the world to me, baby girl,” he whispered between kisses.

The kissing intensified as Elisa ended up in Nick’s lap. Nick slid the coat off of Elisa’s shoulders so he could feel her skin against his hands. She felt so good, and Nick wanted more.

Elisa could feel him hardening up and she moaned as he placed kiss after kiss on her neck.

“Oh, I want you so much,” she whispered as his hands roamed her body.

“Not right now,” he said lowly, breaking away from her.

Elisa sighed, and smiled.

“Okay,” she reluctantly said.

Nick laughed at the pout on her face.

“Trust me, when it happens, it’s going to be worth it.”

“Nick…”

“No, Elisa. It’s too soon.”

He stood up and helped her to her feet. Picking up his jacket, he put it on her.

“I like the way this looks on you,” he said to her. “You look drop dead sexy.”

“Quit talking like that if you’re wanting to wait,” she warned playfully.

Nick laughed but he did stay silent as they walked to the car.

“How long has it been since you were with another girl?” she asked in the car.

“Um…Maureen was the last one, and the last time we did it was three weeks before she ended it. So about five months. What about you?”

“A year and a half,” she said.

“No one else since your ex?” he asked, impressed.

“I don’t have sex with people I don’t feel a connection to.”

Nick was a little embarrassed. He had been with a lot of girls, but he was planning for Elisa to be his last.

“How many have you been with?” Elisa asked.

“Shit,” Nick said, really embarrassed now. “Don’t judge me.”

“I won’t. Just want to know how experienced you are.”

“I don’t know. I will say a lot more than ten.”

Elisa was silent for a minute.

“Well damn, I feel like a prude now,” she said.

“Why?”

“Because I’ve only been with two men like that.”

Nick had no clue why that was such a turn on, but it was. She wasn’t just a girl after an orgasm, she needed to be secure in her relationship which is what made the waiting game important.

“That’s a good thing,” he said, squeezing her hand.

Nick pulled up to Elisa’s house an hour later. Once again, he walked her to the door. When she went to give him his coat back, he refused.

“It’s yours, now. I like the way it looks on you,” he said.

“Okay,” she said, putting it back on and hugging him.

“Goodnight, babygirl,” he said, kissing her softly.

“Goodnight,” she said, grinning at him before going inside.

Nick walked back to his car, feeling happier than he’d ever felt. Yeah, he loved his ex fiancee, but this feeling he had toward Elisa was different. He felt complete with her, like she was the one he’d been meant for.

Which scared him to death. It took him a while to feel this way about Maureen, and look what happened there.
But still, Elisa was everything to him. She was warm, funny, passionate, and honest. She had no problem telling others what was on her mind. Nick needed that type of honesty in his life.

The feeling of his worries melting away whenever she was with him was still there. When they were together, the world melted away and it was just the two of them.
He drove home that night, smiling, thinking, finally, everything was perfect.
Chapter 11 by emeraldbecca1991
Author's Notes:
This is another trigger chapter, as Elisa finally lets Nick in on one of the main reasons her mother despises her.
“Oh my God, this place is amazing,” Elisa said, sitting on a gondola with Nick in Venice.

They had been in Italy for three days, and this was the first day Nick was able to actually spend with Elisa.

Elisa spent the first day with the girls, shopping at the best stores in Milan. Nick had given her his credit card and told her to have fun.

This sparked their first argument.

“I am not taking your credit card, Nick Carter,” she had said in disbelief.

“I told you, it’s nothing, babe,’ he had said back, exasperated.

“It’s something to me. I’ve never expected my boyfriends to buy something for me and I’m not starting now,” Elisa argued.

“The other girls let their husbands do it for them-“

“You’re not my husband, Nick! We’ve only been officially dating for three weeks, I can’t let you give me your credit card after you paid for my trip here, it’s not fair.”

Nick raised an eyebrow at the husband comment and sighed.

“Baby, look at me. I know, it’s got to take some getting used to, but I’m not the type to hold shit like this over your head. I don’t mind you using my card to get something nice for yourself. It’s not like I’m hurting for money.”

“But Nick-“

“Elisa, please, let me do things for you. You deserve to be treated well and I intend on doing just that. Now please, take my card.”

In the end, she did, and she bought an entire new wardrobe. She also bought Rochelle (her sister) and Leah some things, too.

The girls had a laugh at the argument Nick and Elisa had, and assured her that what Nick had said was true. He wouldn’t hold it over her head. And if he did, Leighanne said, they would make sure the other guys found out about it.

Today, Nick woke Elisa up and told her that he was taking her to Venice for the day. It was nearly four hours away, so it wasn’t too far for a day trip. He rented a car, and off they went.

Now, in the gondola, she was wearing one of the new outfits. A charcoal grey sweater style dress, with black knee high boots and black tights. She knew Nick loved it by the heated gaze he gave her when he first saw it.

She loved those looks he gave her, and they were coming more and more frequently. They melted her to her core, and she almost wanted to lock him up in their hotel room and have her way with him, but she also knew that it was best to wait.

Making matters worse, they shared a hotel room-suite, actually-, but they slept separately. Normally she was out before he came back in, as their schedule was hectic.

Despite what he probably thought, his experience didn’t scare her off. On the contrary, it turned her on knowing that he must be good in bed. She’d find herself zoning out, wondering what he could do with that wonderful body. When he played his guitar, she wondered exactly what else he could do with his hands. Sometimes, he’d catch her daydreaming, and ask what she was thinking about.

Like now.


“What are you thinking about?” he asked, interrupting her thoughts.

Elisa smiled as she kissed him on the cheek.

“You,” she said simply.

Nick grinned.

“What about me?”

“Just trying to figure out how I got so lucky, that’s all. This is just…amazing. And I never thought in a million years I’d even be in Italy, much less with you.”

Nick grabbed her hand and kissed it.

“I’m the lucky one here, baby girl. I don’t know what I did to deserve meeting you that day, but I am so glad I did,” he said seriously.

They soon got off the gondola and found a small restaurant to eat in.

As they ate, Nick told Elisa of what was on the schedule.

They had to go to New Orleans and a couple other places across the states in December, but they were free on the week of Christmas.

“That’s all cool with me,” Elisa said, smiling as he talked.

“Speaking of Christmas, what do you do?”

“Nothing. Rochelle and Leah go to Mom’s. My dad is gone, and everyone goes to my mother’s house. And I’m not going, especially not now.”

“Nothing?”

Elisa smiled.

“Okay, I do put in some time at a shelter, and I sing at a church. That’s it.”

“So, if we were to spend Christmas together…”

“I wouldn’t object, though I should tell you, I love Christmas. I always decorate, even if it’s just me.”

Nick smiled.

“Okay, then.”

They soon headed back to the car, and drove back to Milan. Nick took the car back to the rental place and they took a limo back to the hotel. They used the back entrance to go in.

Once in the room, Nick kissed Elisa sweetly. Soon, the kiss turned fiery and urgent, as he pressed her back against the door.

“I know I said we should wait, but there’s definitely other things we can do together,” he said lowly, kissing her neck sensually.

“Oh, like what?” she said, shakily as his hands grabbed her ass and pulled her into him.

“I could show you,” he said playfully. Picking her up, he carried her to the couch and he sat down, with her in his lap. His hands caressed her ass as they kissed frantically, and he inched the dress up to slide his hands underneath it. His hands rubbed her back softly as she moaned.

“Does that feel good?” he whispered as she placed kisses on his neck.

“Mhm,” she moaned as a hand slid under her bra and cupped her breast.

“What about that?”

“Yeah,” she said softly as the hand slid lower down her body. She began to unbutton his shirt, eager to feel those abs that he had worked so hard to get.

His phone rang just as she was reaching the last button, and his hand reached the waistband of her tights. He groaned as he looked at the phone.

“Shit, it’s Kevin,” he said.

“Answer it,” she said, sliding off of him and adjusting her clothes.

“Yo? No come on man, we’re supposed to be free today…oh screw you, Kev…fine, I’ll be there but I won’t be happy.”

Elisa smiled sympathetically at him as he buttoned his shirt back up with a pout on his face.

“You have to go?”

Nick sighed.

“Yeah. I don’t want to,” he said, raking his eyes over her hungrily. “I want to pick up where we left off.”

“C’mon, Kaos, don’t disappoint them. I plan on sticking around for a while, so I won’t be mad if you go do your thing,” she said.

Nick smiled at her.

“Why are you so awesome?”

“It’s a gift. Now go, before Kevin neuters you before I have a chance to enjoy what you have to offer.”

With a quick kiss, Nick left her and went to go to this thing with the rest of the guys.

The girls were in Kristin and Kevin’s suites, as all the kids were asleep.

_____________________________________________

“Let me just say that I am so happy we don’t have to give you the ‘this is the life’ talk,” Kristin said after they discussed their men going to an unscheduled event. “Leigh was the worst.”

Howie’s wife blushed, but didn’t deny it.

“I missed him so much,” she admitted. “I cried every night during the first tour he went on after we started dating”

Elisa smiled at the shy woman.

“I miss him, too, but I know that this comes with the territory,” she said.

“And oh my god, when Kevin left for a while, he was…well I’m not going to say miserable, but he missed it.”

Leighanne sighed.

“The touring sucks but it takes a special kind of woman to marry a superstar. And it gets worse before it gets better.”

Elisa sighed.

“I don’t think I’m ready to get married for a while.”

“No, we aren’t saying you two are. But I can see that the two of you…it’s special. And we called it with Rochelle and Leigh. We never felt right about Maureen for some reason and now I know why, it’s because Nick’s girl is you,” Leighanne said.

“Nick’s not an easy man to hook. Especially since he became sober. Honestly, he didn’t have much to do with the groupies after he became sober. And he does have some anger problems. But I think if anyone can help him it’s you,” Rochelle said softly. "You seem to be cut from the same cloth but your choices led you down a different path than his did."

The girls talked for a while, and then Elisa headed back to her room. Laying down, she thought about the anger problems she had herself. She knew she needed to talk to Nick about it, especially if he was wanting this to be forever.

She was in therapy twice a month for it, but lately she hadn’t felt the need to go. She was sure that was Nick’s doing, but she still needed to talk about what had happened and what had resulted from it.

Feeling a wave of depression, Elisa rolled to her side, and brought her knees up to her chest. She hated feeling this way. It made her feel out of control and vulnerable. She had left her Xanax in the States, not expecting the panic attacks to occur here.

"Nick, I need you," she whimpered as the tears started.

_____________________________________

Nick walked in about an hour later, tired as hell. He walked to Elisa’s room, which was open, and he stopped when he heard a sob.

“Elisa, baby, you okay?” he asked.

All he heard was another sob.

“Shit,” he whispered as he sat on the bed. He knew she wouldn't like the him going away part of their relationship.

“Come here, baby,” he said softly. He pulled her up where she was sitting and held her. “I’m sorry I was gone so long.”

“No, Nick, it’s not you.”

Nick was shocked at her answer.

“Then what is it, baby girl?” he asked, concerned.

Taking a deep breath, Elisa realized it was time to tell him what had happened all those years ago.

“I need to talk to you, and you can’t be mad at me.”

“Okay.” He was worried now.

Elisa sighed. The painful part of the attack had already passed, so she was glad he hadn't seen that.

“You remember the night I almost kicked my sister’s ex boyfriend’s ass?”

“Vividly.”

“Well, I reacted the way I did because the same thing he did to Leah, one of my mom’s boyfriends did to me.”

Nick felt sick.

“Elisa…you don’t have to tell me now.”

“I do. Because you need to see why I am the way I am. If you plan on sticking it out with me, you need to understand all of my issues.”

Nick was silent but he nodded for Elisa to continue.

“It happened from the time I was eight to the time I was fourteen. And I can’t have children because he damaged me so badly. Something about the uterus I don't know. I didn't listen to all of it when I was checked out, because i don't like thinking about it. But he took that part from me. The only way I can have kids of my own is to hire a surrogate.”

Nick wanted to cry. He pulled Elisa into his arms and held her.

“What did your mom do?” he asked, although he probably knew the answer.

“She didn’t believe me. No one did until I skipped school the day he did it for the last time and I went straight to the hospital. Everytime I would tell her, she would call me a liar. Tell me that no one would believe me. Rochelle was too young to know what happened. But everyone else knew but didn’t believe me. My dad was already gone. My grandma on his side, she was in another state. My mom still doesn’t believe it, and she blames me for him being in jail.”

Nick rubbed her hair.

“I’m so sorry it happened to you, Elisa. I really am,” he whispered, with tears in his eyes.

“I see a therapist 2 times a month for it. But lately, you help keep the bad shit away.”

"What about your pills?"

"I left them in the States, thinking I wouldn't need them here."

"Elisa, you can't do that. Panic attacks aren't shit to fuck around with."

"I know."

Nick sighed.

"So this is why you and your mom, have your problems for lack of a better word?"

“Yeah.”

Nick kissed her softly.

“You can tell me anything, baby. I mean it. Whenever you’re hurting or scared or angry, just tell me. And I’ll make it better, I promise. And as far as the kids thing, if we get to that point and that’s what we want, there’s plenty of kids who need a home. We can adopt them. Or we can hire a surrogate. It’s a non-issue for me.”

Elisa smiled as he placed another sweet kiss on her lips.

“Anything else bothering you?”

“No, but can you stay in here tonight? I don’t want to sleep alone.”

“Of course, baby.”

Nick shed his shirt and got under the covers with her. She placed her head on his chest, with a hand over his heart. He wrapped one arm around her and kissed her hair.

“You know, you’re not alone, Elisa. I’m a little messed up, too,” he whispered to her.

She was already asleep, but Nick was awake for a while, processing what she’d just told him. It made him angry, to know that his girl was violated in the worst way, but her own mother didn’t believe her. And yet, here she was, successful and beautiful and loving life despite everything life had thrown at her.

And Nick was falling for her, and he was falling hard. His heart beat under her hand, and with every beat, it ached for the woman in his arms. He wanted to kiss all her pain away, make love to her and show her the way a real man loves a woman. He wanted to wake up to her every morning, and fall asleep with her every night.

But he couldn’t do that without knowing for sure he was ready, and that she was too. Because while he knew what he felt was real, the reality of the situation was that what they has was too new. However, he had all the time in the world to prove himself to this woman. Because he wasn’t planning on letting this one go.
Chapter 12 by emeraldbecca1991
They came back home a few days later, but it was a short time for Nick, who had to leave again two days later.

Elisa went back to work the day after her return, and Yolanda gushed over her new clothes.

“Oh, here’s you something, too,” Elisa said, handing her a garment bag and a shoebox.

“Oh my God, Elisa, this is beautiful,” Yolanda exclaimed, pulling out the green cashmere sweater and black silk skirt. She had brand new black pumps to go with it.

“Thank Nick for it, he’s the one who bought it,” Elisa said, smiling.

Yolanda followed her into her office.

“Things are getting serious, huh?”

“I think so. We still haven’t…sealed the deal yet, but I want to so badly. He gives me these looks that, I swear, set me on fire.”

“You haven’t banged him yet? Girl, you have more willpower than me. I wouldn’t even come to work if I had that man in my life,” Yolanda said, laughing.

“Get your own Backstreet Boy,” Elisa said, throwing a pen at her friend.

“I can’t, you snatched up the last available one!”

Laughing, Yolanda went back to her office as Elisa had a student walk in, to talk about college.

The day dragged by slowly, and Elisa was extremely tired by the time she was able to leave.

She pulled in to her driveway unlocked the door, and collapsed on her couch. She was asleep instantly.

She was woken up three hours later to someone knocking on her door.

Getting up, she walked and looked through the peephole.

It was Nick.

“Hey,” she said as she opened the door. She was still in her work clothes; all she’d done was kick her heels off when she got home.

Nick kissed her softly. “Were you asleep?” he asked.

“Yeah,” she said. “I was exhausted.”

“Yeah, I slept all day. Jet lag is a bitch. I tried to call before I came, but you didn’t answer your phone.”

“Shit, Nick, I’m so sorry-“

“Don’t be. You actually look…hot like this,” he said, running his hand through his hair.


“So, why’d you come over?” Elisa asked, changing the subject before she jumped his bones.

“Oh, I was just wanting to hang out, maybe order a pizza,” he replied.

“Sounds nice, let me go get into something more comfortable,” she said, going to her bedroom.

She came out in an oversized shirt and black sweatpants. Her hair was down, wavy from being up all day.

Nick could only stare. She looked sexy as hell.

“What?” she asked.

“You look…damn.”

“Damn is an adjective, now?” she asked, amused.

“I’m speechless. How the hell does a T-shirt and sweatpants look so sexy?”

Elisa rolled her eyes, but he enjoyed seeing the blush on her face.

“I’ll order us a pizza. Then I’m going to go change, because apparently my clothes have some sort of affect on your hormones.”

He pulled her close and kissed her, a quick but burning kiss.

“It’s not your clothes, baby, it’s you,” he said heatedly. “You’re too sexy for your own good.”

Kissing her again, he slid his hands under her shirt and rubbed her back.

Moaning, she broke the kiss.

“What are you doing?”

“Picking up where we left off in Italy,” he said lowly, nibbling on her earlobe.

She moaned as he captured her mouth again. He backed her up to the counter, and lifted her up on to it.

“I want to do something, but I need to know if it’s okay.”

“Anything you want, you can do,” she said breathlessly.

Smiling, he kissed her sweetly. He then eased her sweats off of her and swore under his breath. She looked so sexy in just a T Shirt.

Rubbing his hands up and down her thighs, he kissed her again. He eased his hand in between her legs and began to slowly rub her clit through her panties.

She gasped into his mouth sharply.

“You like that?” he asked as he increased the pressure a little.

“Yeah,” she moaned, her eyes rolling back into her head as she felt the magic he was doing to her.

He bit down on her neck a little as he slid his hand into her panties, and slid one finger into her, causing her to moan loudly.

“Shit Elisa,” he said, growing hard as she continued to moan.

“Nick, you feel so good,” she said, breathing deeply and arching against his hand.

He wanted to bury himself in her right then, but he held back. He was enjoying this sight. Elisa was melting like putty in his hands, and watching her come undone was the hottest fucking thing he’d ever seen.

“Nick, I’m coming,” she moaned. He increased the pressure and tempo to what he was doing as she came, moaning his name as she did.

He held her to him until she came down from her orgasm.

“Damn, Elisa,” he moaned, his dick painfully hard now after what had just happened.

“You want me to return the favor?” she whispered, reaching her hand into his jeans.

“Please,” he hissed. He knew this was not going to take long.

Elisa unzipped his jeans and grabbed his dick. She didn’t see it, but from what she felt, she knew he was very well endowed.

Moving her hand up and down, she jerked him off. She alternated between fast and slow, teasing him until he soon came all over her hand.

Sighing, he zipped up his jeans as she washed her hands.

"Feel better?" she asked, putting her pants back on.

“Makes me want more, to be honest with you,” he said, hugging her from behind.

“Well, I like waiting but that was so good. Seriously. I knew your hands would be amazing, with all that guitar playing.”

“I can show you how well dancing pays off in bed, too, if you want,” he whispered, kissing her neck.

Elisa grinned as she shook him off.

“Down, boy,” she said, dialing the number to the local pizza place.

Nick smiled and sighed as he watched her. This girl was going to be the death of him.

__________________________________

December was a slow month for the couple. They still hung out whenever they got the chance, but Nick was always gone with the Boys. That was changing, though, because after this last gig, he was done for a while.

Elisa’s house was decorated for Christmas the day school let out for winter break. She was so bored lately, as all the girls were out of town, and even Yolanda took off to Hawaii to see her parents.

Nick was in New York City today, and he would be home in two days.

Elisa decided to go Christmas shopping. She’d gotten a good bonus this check, and she was excited to spend it.
She already knew who was on her Christmas list. Nick, Rochelle, Leah, Yolanda, the Backstreet Kids (Bailey, Mason, James, Max, Holden, and Ava), and the wives. She had no clue what to get the other guys.

She decided to get the kids something first. She already had their sizes so she bought them each an outfit and an age appropriate toy.

The girls were easy. She had a friend who made jewelry so she ordered five jewelry sets.

Now for Nick. She was at a loss. She knew he loved the ocean. She knew he loved video games, too. However, she had no clue what he already had. She didn’t want to get him clothes, he had enough of those. She was doomed.
Finally, she texted him.

If you could have three things for Christmas, what would it be?


Her phone dinged immediately.


You. In a mini skirt and a crop top. Giving me a lap dance.


Elisa blushed.


I’M BEING SERIOUS!!!


So am I lol


Nick, quit being a horny teenager or I’ll ask AJ, and I swear I’ll buy whatever he tells me to.


Baby, I already have you, so I don’t want or need anything else. Whatever you get me, I’ll love.


Elisa smiled.


Okay. Remember that.


She was walking in the Grove when she saw something in a window that screamed Nick’s name. Rushing inside, she grabbed it. After paying for it, she decided to take her haul home and wrap it.

She looked at the gift she got for Nick and decided to write him a letter to go with it. She then wrapped it and the note separately.

Elisa smiled. She couldn’t wait for Nick to open it on Christmas.

___________________________________

Meanwhile, Nick was walking through New York City, trying to find her a gift. Kevin suggested a necklace. It was a gift that said how much she meant to him without him coming on too strong. Nick knew that Kristin adored Elisa, which meant Kevin did, too. Other than Leighanne, Kristin never felt this close to another Backstreet girl. Kevin also loved the affect Elisa had on Nick. He was back to being his goofy self, who still had his serious moments.

Nick sighed as he gazed in the jewelry display case at a high end jewelry store.

“Can I help you?” the woman asked.

“I’m looking for something to give my girlfriend. It’s our first Christmas together,” he explained.

“I have the perfect thing,” the jeweler said. When she showed Nick, he knew she was right.

“I’ll take it.”
Chapter 13 by emeraldbecca1991
Nick knocked on Elisa’s door two days later.

“Hey,” she said happily.

“Merry Christmas, baby girl,” he said, dropping his guitar case and drawing her in for a kiss. He slid his tongue into her mouth immediately. Elisa returned the kiss hungrily, feeling the rush of emotions that always came with his return.

“Mmm, you taste good,” he whispered, breaking the kiss and coming inside.

“Wow,” he said, with wide eyes as he saw the house.

“I told you! I love Christmas,” Elisa said, smiling widely.

“I can see- oh God what is that smell and please tell me it’s something you can eat, because I am starving,” he said, inhaling deeply and smelling something delicious.

“No, it’s actually something you drink. It’s hot cocoa, I’ll get you some,” Elisa said.

Nick sat down and admired her tree. She already had gifts wrapped under it. She had Christmas music playing, and the entire atmosphere was festive, even though she hadn’t celebrated with anyone in a while.

Elisa handed him a cup of cocoa and he took a sip.

“Oh my God, this is amazing,” he said, taking a gulp.

“Thanks, it’s my own recipe,” she said.

Nick smiled at her.

“Well, it’s more amazing. So what’d you end up getting me?”

“Nice try, Nick. You don’t get to find out until Christmas,” she said, sitting next to him on the couch.

“I would have been happy with the miniskirt idea,” Nick said.

“Yeah yeah, we all know you’re a total horndog.”

Nick nuzzled her neck.

“Only for you, baby.”

Elisa smiled and kissed him sweetly.

“Good.”

“You know, I’ve been trying some new notes on the guitar,” he said playfully, running his hand up her thigh.

“Oh really?” she asked, her voice cracking as he reached the button on her jeans.

“Yeah, but I think I should practice some more, so I don’t get rusty.”

“Nice try, baby. While I would love for you to make me feel like that again, you’re like a drug, and I don’t want to get hooked before we’re ready,” she said, kissing him and gently pushing his hand away.

“Aw, man. Okay, you win. For now.”

Elisa smiled, and hugged him.

“I’m so glad you’re home.”

_____________________

Christmas Eve was two days later, and Nick was driving Elisa to a church where she would be singing that night. He’d gotten AJ and Rochelle to come support her. The rest of the guys were out of town with their families.

Nick hadn’t been to a church in a while, and he was nervous. Elisa wasn’t religious, but she was spiritual enough to show up to church on Christmas Eve.

She was wearing a gold shirt with black pants and gold flats. She had a white rose-bought by Nick- tucked behind her ear.

Nick thought she looked stunning. He had complete faith in her and what she was about to do. He hadn’t heard her sing since their first date.

Elisa, on the other hand, was shaking with fear. This was the first time she’d sang in front of Nick with others watching. Well, other than Frankie J, and the fans at the concert. Plus, she was singing more than once tonight.
And AJ was going to be there. AJ, who loved to rib people for breathing the wrong way. She was scared she was going to hit the wrong note and he was going to never let her live it down.

Elisa was scared shitless.

Nick parked and turned to her.

“You got this, Leese,” he said sweetly.

“If AJ cracks one joke, I’m going to hit him over the head with a crucifix,” Elisa said seriously.

Nick got out, and opened her door.

“I’ll make sure that doesn’t happen. If he makes one joke, I’ll kick his ass, promise. Now get in there, and give us a show.”

______________________

She went to the choir room and saw someone she was very happy to see.

“Frankie!”

“Elisa!”

Frankie J hugged her.

“What are you doing here?”

“Nick called me. Said you needed moral support, but I offered to play the guitar tonight on stage with you instead. That way if you pass out, I’ll catch you.”

“Nick did this?”

“Yeah. He really likes you, girl, and be glad I like both of you, or there’s no way I would have done this. You ready to go out there and show them that amazing voice?”

Elisa smiled.

“Yeah.”

__________________

Elisa sighed before she took the mic. Frankie nodded at her and winked. She saw Nick, AJ, and Rochelle in the third row. Nick blew her a kiss and Rochelle sent her a thumbs up.

She began to sing “O Come O Ye Faithful” as Frankie played, and her worries melted away. She smiled as she sang, and she caught Nick’s eye. He was watching her seriously, as if she was the only one in the room. Nick knew he made the right choice in calling Frankie. Elisa had came onstage a lot calmer than she had been out in the car.

As she finished the song, Nick, Rochelle, and AJ led the room in applause. He gave her the most dazzling smile as she made a small bow, and took her seat in front of the choir.

AJ leaned over to Nick and whispered “Dude, you’re drooling. Pull it together, dammit.”

Nick punched him in the arm as he and Elisa maintained eye contact. Soon, it was time for her to sing again.
Elisa began to sing “Silent Night” with two other girls in the choir, and it was obvious to Nick that this was a personal song to her due to the few tears that fell down her cheeks.

She belted out her notes like a pro, and at the end, all music stopped as the three girls harmonized the last chorus in perfect sync.

They received a standing ovation, and Rochelle even wiped away a few tears.

There was one more song Elisa was going to sing, “O Holy Night” before she was done.

Elisa decided she was going to make it her best song of the night.

She took every feeling she had..of sadness, of anger, of happiness, and, as she looked at Nick, of love, and poured them into her song.

She belted out the notes of her favorite Christmas song, even the high ones, and everyone in the room had their eyes on her that night.

Nick watched her as she sang the song, and he knew he was done. He knew that the battle his mind and heart had been fighting the last few months was over, and now all he had left was to admit defeat.

He was in love with Elisa Montgomery. And it was time to tell her.
End Notes:
The version of Silent Night I used was the one from Kelly Clarkson's Wrapped in Red album.
Chapter 14 by emeraldbecca1991
AJ, Nick, and Rochelle met her and Frankie at the front of the church after the service was done.

AJ hugged her.

“Girl, you were on fire!” he said. Rochelle nodded and hugged her too.

“I mean, Nick said you had a voice, but that was absolutely beautiful.”

Elisa looked at Nick, who was still reeling from his revelation. He was looking at her like he’d never looked at her before.

“Nick, you okay?” she asked.

“Yeah. I’m just amazed,” he said, kissing her softly on the cheek.

Elisa hugged Frankie.

“Thank you so much, it meant a lot.”

“Anytime, girl. You rocked it tonight,” Frankie said. He said goodbye to the rest of them and left.

They all walked outside to their cars.

“Okay, we’re going to go get Ava. You two have fun,” AJ said suggestively, as Rochelle knocked him in the stomach.

Nick and Elisa got in the car, and he drove her home.

“You were amazing tonight, baby,” he said to her, taking her hand.

“Thank you,” she said, softly.

“Can I ask you something?”

“What?”

“Why were you crying during Silent Night?” Nick asked.
Elisa sighed.

“It was my dad’s favorite Christmas song. We used to always sing it together.”

“What happened to him, if you don’t mind me asking?”

“I don’t mind. He was shot. He was a police officer and he was killed during a standoff. I was about eight. My mom had divorced him about a year before he was killed.”

“Damn, baby girl. I’m so sorry.”

Elisa smiled.

“Don’t be. I loved my father very much, and he died doing what he loved. My memories of him are all happy.”

“Well, that’s good,” he said.

“He was the only one who liked me to sing. Him and Grandma.”

Nick kissed her hand as he pulled into her driveway.

He followed her into the house, where she kicked off her shoes. They sat on the couch and watched a movie on TV, mostly in silence. Both were lost in their thoughts, as she snuggled against him. He kissed her every now and then. However, he could tell she was tired by the time the movie was over.

“Look, I’m going to let you sleep, okay?” he said, kissing her gently.

“Okay, but wait a minute.”

She got up and headed to the tree. She came back with something in her hand.

“I’m going to go ahead and give you my present. But you can’t open it until tomorrow,” she said, handing him a small box and an envelope. Nick smiled as he took them from her.

“Okay, I won’t. But I’ll bring mine to you tomorrow after I open yours,” Nick said, taking it.

He kissed her goodnight, and headed home, hoping he could get some rest.

____________________________________

However, at four o clock in the morning he couldn’t sleep. He knew he was in love with Elisa, and knowing that meant sleep wasn’t coming.

At five, he accepted that he was not getting to sleep. He walked downstairs and found the gift that Elisa had given him. He decided to open the letter first.


Nick,
The past few months with you have meant the world to me. You have seen me in a way I haven’t been able to see myself in a long time. I know that if I ever have a bad day, you’re there to help ease it away. Everything I’ve gone through, I think it was a test of some sort. Because if this horrible crap hadn’t happened to me, I wouldn’t have met you. I don’t know what I did to deserve you, but I’d do it everyday if it meant I could keep you around.
I’m trying to say something huge, something I don’t say lightly. Something I’m having trouble putting down on paper. But here goes.
Nick Carter, I love you so much. My heart hurts when you aren’t with me, but the hurt is forgotten as soon as you’re around. I’m ready to begin this next chapter of my life, and I want it to be with you.
So, here’s the key to my heart, and know that it’s yours forever.
Love,
Elisa



Nick had to reread her letter four times before the words sunk in. She loved him, too. She loved him too! Nick couldn’t help the happiness that filled him as he opened the gift.It was a chain with a pendant in the shape of a key. He laughed, because the gift he had gotten her was a smaller version of the same thing.

Nick looked at the time. Six thirty.

He texted her, hoping she was awake.

Are you up?

Fifteen minutes later, she texted back.

Yes

On my way


Elisa dressed in the grey sweaterdress she’d bought in Milan, the one she knew he liked. She was nervous. He now knew how she felt, and now it was sink or swim.

Elisa listened out for his car, and when he pulled up, she unlocked the door. She then sat on the couch and waited.

When he knocked, she said “It’s open” in a shaky voice.

Nick walked in and saw her, sitting there, looking afraid. He said nothing, just walked over and pulled her up into his arms. Picking her up, he wrapped her legs around his waist and kissed her deeply.

She broke away, looking a little scared. He sat down, but kept her in his lap.

“Why are you scared, baby?” he asked softly.

“Because I don’t want us to get hurt,” she whispered back.

“Elisa, I never want to hurt you. But I’m not perfect, baby. I still have a lot of fixing to do, and some parts of me can never be fixed. Are you ready to deal with that?” he asked.

Elisa nodded.

“I’m ready for all of it, especially the not so perfect parts. I’m a little messed up, too. We both know this.”

Nick kissed her deeply, then handed her his gift.

Elisa laughed as she opened it.

“It’s just like the one I gave you, just smaller.”

Nick smiled, and hooked it on her. Then he pulled the pendant out from under his shirt.

“It’s yours, baby. Elisa, I fucking love you. You mean everything to me. The Backstreet Boys could break up right now and I wouldn’t care, because I would have you. I want you forever.”

Elisa smiled through her tears.

“Then I’m yours.”

__________________________________________

Nick and Elisa spent the rest of the day on the couch, watching Christmas movies and occasionally making out here and there. Although both of them wanted to make love, they also still wanted to wait. Everything still felt too new, and they were enjoying this slow ride they were taking.

However, their joyful mood was soured that afternoon, by a sharp knock at the door.

Elisa opened it and all the color drained from her face.

Nick saw a blonde woman, in her mid fifties, standing there with a man who was definitely around his age.

Elisa’s sister, Rochelle, was there, looking apologetic.

“What are you doing here Mom?”


Nick felt a sense of revulsion at the woman.

“Well, you’ve definitely changed since the last time I saw you up close, Elisa,” she said.

Elisa glared.

“Yeah I have.”

“How much weight have you lost, fifty, sixty pounds?”

“Seventy, Mom, are you going to tell me what you’re doing here?”

“Tell your friend he needs to leave, Elisa. We need to have a family discussion.”

Nick raised an eyebrow as Elisa laughed humorlessly.

“Okay. Derek , you need to leave with Nick, too, then,” Elisa said sarcastically. “Yeah right, Mom. Don’t come into my house telling me what to do. Nick isn’t my friend, he’s my boyfriend, and you rudely interrupted our first Christmas together. Anything you have to say to me you will say in front of him.”

Rochelle smiled a little at Nick, happy to hear that her big sister was finally happy. Nick grinned back at her. The man looked Nick up and down with a sneer.

“Who gave you the right to talk to me this way?” Elisa’s mom said angrily. As she walked past, Nick caught a wiff of vodka. Shit. Her mom was drunk. He walked away from her and sat next to Rochelle, out of the line of fire.

“You did, when you screwed me out of a fiance. Literally. Now why are you here? The sooner you tell me, the sooner you can leave.”

“I just want to know where the hell you get off embarrassing me the way you do. First my daughter declines to go to my wedding, and now she doesn’t show up to Christmas. How fucking dare you, after everything I’ve done for you-“

“Yeah, stealing my fiance and telling everyone I lied about my rape. You’ve done a hell of a lot, Ma. I should have sent a thank you card.”

“You were not raped! That was a lie because you couldn’t stand me being happy!”

“I was too! What fucking interest would an eight year old have in a thirty year old, mama? You are fucking deluded, you only care about yourself. You think the whole world revolves around, but it doesn’t! You don’t know half the shit I’ve put up with, but I’m not going to put up with it anymore. Thank fucking GOD Rochelle and I aren’t like you!”

Derek rolled his eyes.

“Didn’t Rochelle’s daughter get raped too?”

Elisa and Rochelle both glared at him. That was a low blow. Both to Elisa and to Leah, Rochelle’s daughter.

Nick willed himself not to punch the asshole in the jaw.

“How fucking dare you!” Elisa said, rounding on him. “You don’t even get to speak in my house after what you did.”

“It doesn’t matter. Your mom’s better off without you, we all are.”

Nick stood then. He had heard enough.

“Okay. Derek, you and the trash you’re marrying needs to get the hell out of my girlfriend’s house,” Nick said darkly.

“You have no right-“ Diane started.

“I have every fucking right to make my girl happy, because it’s obvious you’re not going to do it. And right now, she wants you gone. I’m sure her not being there today was clue enough that she doesn’t want you two around. Now leave, before I call the police,” Nick said, keeping his voice low, but he was angry. He'd never wanted to hit a woman in his life until now. Even his mother wasn't this cold.

Derek and Nick stared each other down.

“Do you need a map to the door?” Elisa finally asked.

Getting up, her mother glared at her.

“I don’t know where I got such an ungrateful bitch for a daughter, but if I could return you, I would. Let’s go, Rochelle.”

Rochelle sighed as Diane stalked out, Derek at her heels.

“I’m the DD. She practically forced me to drive her here. I’m sorry, Leese,” she explained.

Elisa hugged her sister.

“Don’t worry about it. She’ll get hers one day. Love you, Chelle.”

“Love you, too. And congrats, you two.”

“Thanks,” Nick said as Rochelle left.

After the door shut, Elisa sunk into the couch, breathing heavily, practically hyperventilating.

“Elisa!” Nick exclaimed, rushing to her. He held her face in his hands. “Focus on me, girl. It’s okay.”

“I have a prescription bottle in my medicine cabinet. Xanax. Get it for me, please,” she said, trying to control her breathing.

Nick rushed to her bathroom and got what she asked for. He was shocked at the reaction she was having. She was having a full blown panic attack, and he felt awful for her.

He got a glass of water, and handed the bottle and the glass to her.

She popped out two, and took them.

Nick held her until her breathing returned to normal.

“I am so sorry, Elisa.”

“You had no way of knowing they were coming. And thank you for kicking them out,” she whispered.

“No problem. When did you start Xanax?”

“After I caught them together. I rarely take it, honestly. This is the third time I’ve needed it.”

Nick rubbed her back as she took deep breaths.

“Let’s not let them ruin today. I’ll cook something for dinner, then you can corrupt me with Gone with the Wind.”

Elisa smiled and nodded.

“I’d like that.”

“Tacos?”

“Not really Christmassy but it sounds great.”

Nick walked in her kitchen and pulled some things out to make tacos. As he browned the meat, he processed what had just happened.

How was it that Elisa had grown up with the mom she had, and yet never did half the shit he got into? Yeah, she had lost seventy pounds, but other than that, there was no signs of drug or alcohol abuse. The Xanax didn’t count, it was a full bottle so he believed her when she said she rarely took it.

He looked into the living room and saw that the Xanax had definitely helped. She was calmer, and she was writing in a book.

He hadn’t seen the book before, and, while he was curious as to what it was, he wasn’t going to push the issue. Obviously, it was private to her, and if she wanted him to know what it was, she’d tell him.

Elisa was writing in her journal. It helped her more than Xanax did most days, but the ordeal her mom just caused called for the medication. She wrote a lot about her feelings, how she would love to never see her mom again for a while. At the end she wrote how thankful she was that Nick was in her life. She didn’t know what she would have done without him here today.

“Dinner’s ready,” he said a few minutes later.

She put the book under her couch cushion and walked into the kitchen.

They ate mostly in silence. Nick kept making sure she was okay, and she assured him he was.

After they were done, they both settled in to watch Gone with the Wind.

Nick wrapped an arm around her as she laid her head on his shoulder. He rubbed her arm affectionately as they watched the movie together. Despite his initial protests, he had to admit the movie was excellent. It told a wonderful story, and had enough action to keep him interested. It gave him ideas for what he’d like to do with the woman in his arms, when he wasn’t so busy with the group.

He dropped a soft kiss to Elisa’s head as the movie ended. He looked at his phone, and checked the time.
It was 10:30PM, and, even though it wasn’t late, both of them were tired.

“I don’t want to go home,” he said softly as the credits rolled on the screen.

“I don’t want you to go, either,” she replied, squeezing his hand.

“I have to. If I stay, there’s no telling what I’d do,” he said, running his hand over her thigh.

Elisa inhaled sharply and closed her eyes.

“I don’t care,” she whispered.

“I do, though. Trust me, Elisa, I want you…so fucking bad. But the wait will be worth it, I promise. Sure, I could use my hands to give you another amazing orgasm, but soon, that won’t be enough. I want to take my time with you, show you the way a man should love a woman,” he said huskily, kissing her neck. “I want to give every inch your body my undivided attention, because every part of you deserves to be loved, and loved right.”

She moaned a little as he kissed her collarbone, and then kissed her lips again.

“Go on, get out of here then,” she said lowly when they broke apart.

“I love you,” he whispered against her lips.

“I love you, too.”
Chapter 15 by emeraldbecca1991
Author's Notes:
This is a short chapter, but the next one will be worth it =)
Nick drove over to Elisa’s a couple days after Christmas, to drop off a few gifts the fellas and their ladies had gotten her.

He walked right in to see her on the floor with papers all around her.

“Geeze, what happened?” Nick asked as he put the gifts on the kitchen counter.

“I have to find a file for someone to transfer, and I tripped, and knocked them out of place.”

“Let me help, I promise to forget everything I see,” he said, kneeling on the floor. Together, they reorganized the papers and placed them in her bedroom.

“I have stuff for you, from the guys and their chicks. I know, you didn’t get them anything. They don’t care.
Well, AJ pretended to. But he really didn’t. That big one is from him,” Nick said.

“Wow,” Elisa said, looking at the decent amount of gifts for her. “I can’t remember the last time I got this many presents.”

Nick loved the bemused smile she had on her face. She didn’t expect much from others, so watching her receive things was always nice.

“Bring me AJ’s present, that way you can tell him I opened his first and he can gloat to everyone,” she said, jokingly.

Nick did, and she opened it to find a box set of old movies featuring Liz Taylor.

“You told them I loved old movies?” she said, obviously touched.

“I told them everything you liked. At least what you’ve told me,” Nick said, shrugging.

Kevin’s gift to her was tickets to a Tim McGraw show later in the year, since she had let slip he was her favorite country musician. Howie’s gift to her was a set of Michael Jackson’s CDs and a DVD with all of his music videos on it. Brian’s gift was a set of three books. One was a first edition of Gone with the Wind, and the two official accompanying books, Rhett Butler’s People and Scarlett.

“Oh my God…” Elisa said, wiping the tears from her eyes. “I can’t believe they did this.”

“They care about you, and want you to feel like you belong. The girls’ gift was from all of them together, some sort of scrapbook. It’s over there. They all loved their gifts, and their kids officially love you, now. Bailey hasn’t stopped playing his guitar.”

He went and grabbed the scrapbook.

“Oh, they suck. You can’t read this in front of me,” he said, reading the front of it.

“Well, give it here so I can read it later,” Elisa said, taking it from him and putting it on top of her other gifts. He helped her take them to her room.

“I hate to cut this visit short, but I have to be on a plane to New Orleans tomorrow. But before I go, I wanted to know if you wanted to go out on New Years Eve with me?”

“Out?”

“To a club. I’m DJing at one and I’d love to have you there with me. We can invite your friend and AJ and Rochelle,” he said.

Elisa grinned.

“I’d love to.”

After he left, she opened the book the girls had made for her.


Backstreet Girl’s Survivor Guide. To Elisa, from Kristin, Leighanne, Leigh, and Rochelle.


Elisa smiled as she read the pages. It had pictures of the guys in concert, and few pictures of Nick and Elisa together.


*Rule #1: NEVER go on the fansite forums. The fans are brutal on us girls. The boys don’t read the comments about us, and would rather us not either. You haven’t been found out yet, but give it time.
*Rule #2: DO NOT READ THE TABLOID STORIES. Most of the time they are fake. The guys will tell us what we need to know.
*Rule #3: Fangirls and groupies are part of the package. They are going to try to steal our men. Do not be insecure. You’re the one with the man they want, own it and embrace it.
*Rule #4: Sexting and phone sex are your friends during the touring days. Trust us on this.
*Rule #5: Love him. Be there for him. This is a rough life they lead, and they need us here to keep them grounded.
*Rule #6: Call us if you need anything. To vent, to whine, to complain. We have been there, and are more than willing to help you when you need it.

We love you. We’re so happy Nick found you. Welcome to the Backstreet Girls. Without us, they wouldn’t be where they are today.


Elisa grinned as she finished it. She hadn’t been a part of a real family in so long, and she was happy to be a part of this one.
Chapter 16 by emeraldbecca1991
Nick was ready for tonight. It was New Year’s Eve, and he was taking AJ, Rochelle, Yolanda, her boyfriend, and Elisa to the club for the festivities. He dressed in his black leather coat, blue jeans, and black tank top. He was driving his SUV over to AJ’s first, to pick him and Rochelle up.

“What the fuck you mean not yet?” AJ said as he and Rochelle rode with Nick to Elisa’s house. “Don’t you think you’ve waited long enough for some sex?”

“It’s not always about sex, Jay.” Nick said. “It’ll be soon, man. But what I have with Elisa is special. How long you’d wait with- no wait, Rochelle, how long was it before you two had sex?”

Rochelle laughed. “Seven months. Don’t let him lie to you. I think you and Elisa are really sweet, but I don’t think that you would hurt it if you got some sooner rather than later. You two have made it to about where we were.”

They pulled in and AJ whistled.

“I think sooner than later is correct, Chelle,” he said.

Elisa had a black sparkly shirt on, with a blue denim mini skirt and black Converses. Nick’s body immediately responded as he took in the sexy sight that was his woman.

“To the back, AJ,” Nick said.

AJ grumbled a little, but hugged Elisa as he got out. Elisa slid in the front seat and kissed Nick quickly.

“Okay, Yolanda, you know Nick. That’s AJ and his wife Rochelle. Guys, this is Yolanda and her boyfriend, Sam,” Elisa said, as Nick drove to the club.

“I’m still trying to figure out why you think Converses are club attire?” Yolanda asked Elisa.

“I told you, Yo, I’m not wearing heels. If I’m going to dance, I’m going to do it in my tennis shoes or my Converses. Unless you want me in a hospital?”

Yolanda grumbled. Rochelle laughed.

“I’m on Elisa’s side here. I’m wearing heels but they’re coming off when I hit the dance floor.”

Nick could barely keep his mind on the road, because he was so turned on by his hot girlfriend. This was the most skin he’d seen on her since he met her. And the fact that she planned on dancing tonight made it better. All he wanted to do was run his hand up her bare thigh, but, being in mixed company, he decided against it.

They arrived at the club and the guard showed them in.
Nick kissed Elisa and headed to the DJ booth, where he began to play music to get people out there and dance.
Elisa and Yolanda got out on the floor and began to dance. The first song was “Shake” by Jesse McCartney. Elisa loved this song, and began to move immediately
.
Nick watched Elisa move out on the floor, and he grinned. She was swaying her body seductively and biting her lip as she danced. She knew how to pop and lock her body, and soon her and Yolanda had attracted a crowd.

“Nick, who is that?” his fellow DJ asked, impressed.

“That, my friend, is someone you better not even think about having. That’s my woman,” he replied, smiling bright.

“Damn, son, you hit that?”

“Hey, man, watch it. I love that girl.”

Elisa caught Nick’s eye and shot him a sexy smile. He winked at her as he played the next song, which was “Love in this Club”.

“I’ve got to say, I’m impressed, she is hot as hell.”

“Yeah. I don’t know what I did do get her, but I’ll spend the rest of my life trying to find out if it means I can keep her,” Nick replied, observing Elisa.

AJ decided to dance with Elisa, mainly to make Nick jealous. Nick knew his boy wouldn’t do anything out of the way, he just wanted to be the one out there dancing with his girl.

Elisa laughed as AJ tried to twerk on her a la Miley style, and Nick laughed as well.

After about an hour, he relinquished the turntable and went to find his girl.

“Come dance with me,” he said, taking her hand.

Elisa smiled as he led her out to the floor. “How to Deal” by Frankie J started playing, and he took her in his arms.

They swayed back and forth, looking into each others eyes. Nick kissed her sweetly.

“You look so sexy tonight,” he whispered to her.

“You too,” she said, weaving her fingers around his.

As they danced, AJ and Rochelle watched.

“What’s on your mind, baby?” she asked him.

“Nothing. Just thinking how lucky Nick and I are. We both came close to losing it all, and now we have it all. Backstreet’s back again, I have a beautiful family, and Nick out there is in love with Elisa and couldn’t be happier.”

Rochelle kissed her husband’s cheek.

“You’re proud of him, aren’t you?”

“Damn straight.”

“Well, I know I didn’t marry a wallflower. How about asking me to dance?” Rochelle asked.

AJ grinned and took his wife’s hand, and led her out to the dance floor.

As the song ended, Nick spun Elisa around and hugged her from behind.

“I love you so fucking much,” he said in her ear. Elisa laughed as his breath tickled her neck. A new slow song came on.

It was “O” by Omarion, and Nick began to dancing with Elisa again, this time in a more sensual manner.

“Damn, Nick, get it!” he heard AJ yell from across the room. Elisa looked up at Nick, who looked at her with the hottest gaze she’d ever seen. She grinded up against him as he took the lead. He had one hand on her lower back as her arms were around his neck.

He moved his body against hers intimately, biting his lip and pressing his forehead against hers. This was definitely the hottest dance she’d ever shared, and she didn’t want it to end.

They moved as if they’d danced like this all the time. It was turning Elisa on big time, and she knew Nick was as hot as she was. She only wondered how long they were going to last before one of them broke and dragged the other off to a bedroom somewhere.

After a few more heated dances, they both needed a glass of water. After she downed her glass, she went to the bathroom. Yolanda went with her.

“I think someone is going to get laid tonight,” Yolanda sing songed.

Elisa blushed but said nothing.

Yolanda gasped.

“Someone IS getting laid tonight!” she said.

“Shut up! More than likely, yes, but don’t be announcing it to the rooftops,” Elisa hissed, wiping the sweat off of her forehead.

“Girl, I bet he is goooood. The way he was dancing with you just now, there were flames.”

“If he is as good in bed as he is with his hands, I may have to quit my job. I’d never want to leave my bed…” Elisa said, then clapped her hand over her mouth.

“He’s had his hands on you? Oh sweet baby Jesus!, I’m going to die!”

“Yeah you are if you don’t shut the fuck up!” Elisa hissed.

Yolanda grinned.

“Whatever, girl.” Yolanda left with a knowing smile.

After Elisa was done calming her nerves, she walked out to see Nick waiting for her.

“Nick-“

She was silenced as his lips crushed hers. Picking her up, he pressed her back to the wall, which shattered her nerves all to hell again.

She wrapped her legs around his waist and moaned as she grinded her hips against him.

After a few more kisses he let her down.

“Sorry, I had to.”

“Nick…I can’t take this anymore. I need you,” she whimpered.

Nick kissed her again.

“Tonight, I promise.”

Elisa grinned.

“Okay.”

They joined their friends at the table, and waited for the clock to strike midnight. He snuck his SUV keys to AJ, saying he’d be catching a cab back to Elisa’s once midnight struck. AJ smirked and said “About damn time,” as he took them.

Elisa and Nick sat close together as they watched the TV. He was running his hand up and down her thigh as they waited, despite her half hearted attempts to stop him.
“Five, four three, two, one…Happy New Year!”

Nick pulled Elisa in for a long, searing kiss as everyone else welcomed in the New Year with cheers. He took his time kissing her, combining his tongue with hers. Breaking apart, he looked into her eyes.

“Let’s get out of here.”

Elisa could not get into her house fast enough. Once they were in and the door was shut, Nick claimed her mouth again.

This kiss was slow, but hot. Taking off his coat, he let it drop to the floor. Breaking his kiss, he took off his shirt and did the same with Elisa’s.

“Damn, Elisa,” he said, staring at her body with heat in his eyes. “You are so beautiful.”

Elisa couldn’t tear her eyes away from his beautiful, hard earned body. She ran her hands up and down his torso, feelng his muscles tighten underneath, something she had wanted to do for so long. It felt just as good as she had imagined it would.

“How did I get so lucky?” she asked softly, looking up at him.

He kissed her again, pressing her body to his. She moaned at the skin to skin contact.

He kissed her neck, then unhooked her bra and began kissing her breasts. She gasped when he took her nipple and bit down on it softly.

Picking her up, he carried her to her bedroom, where he laid her down on her bed. He took off her shoes, and her skirt. He then stripped down to his boxers and sat on the bed next to her.

“Lay on your stomach,” he said softly.

She did, and he straddled her and began rubbing her back softly, dragging his fingers up and down her spine. The hitches in her breathing turned him on even more, and he placed kisses all over her back. He then turned her over, and did the same thing to her front.

He reached down and pulled her panties off, leaving her completely naked in front of him. She was already hot and wet, and he wanted nothing more than to be inside of her, but he had a promise to keep. He promised to worship her body, and dammit, that's what he intended to do.

He placed kissed along her lower stomach as he began to massage her clit with his hand.

“Oh, God, Nick,” Elisa moaned, arching her back as he worked his magic on her. His hand was replaced by his tongue, which drove Elisa crazy. The same tongue that had made beautiful music, was now on the verge of making her come.

Before she did, he quit.

“You fucking tease,” she choked out, as he gave her a sexy smirk. He pulled her up to him and stood up.

She took his boxers off and froze. She had pictured Nick’s dick before, she had felt it once, but the sight of it was better than her wildest dreams.

She took him into her mouth, slowly at first, and only a little bit at a time. She sucked him slowly, enjoying the groans he made.

She began to go faster, and he moaned her name. Soon, he came into her mouth, and she spit it out into a napkin.

“I’ll be back,” she whispered, going to the bathroom. She brushed her teeth, because she was sure he didn’t want to kiss her after that, but she wanted more of his kisses.

Once she returned, Nick pulled her onto the bed with him and laid her on her back. He hovered over her and kissed her deeply.

“You have condoms, right?” she asked softly.

He reached over into his jeans and pulled several out.

“Yep.”

He rolled it onto himself and got in between her legs.

“You sure you want this?” he asked her tenderly.

She nodded, looking into his eyes. Giving her a sexy smile, he kissed her as he pushed deep into her, making her cry out.

He went slowly, savoring every minute of being in her. He kissed her neck as he went in and out, and she dug her nails into his back as she begged for more.

“I love you,” he whispered in her ear as he pushed in again.

Elisa looked at him with tears in her eyes.

“I love you, too, baby,” she said, pushing upwards, begging him to go deeper.

He pumped in faster and she came, gasping his name as she did. Wrapping her legs around him, he adjusted where he was sitting on the bed and she was in his lap. She rode him until he was coming and she was having her second orgasm of the night.

If Nick had it his way, it wasn’t going to be the last.

__________________

Elisa woke up the next morning in Nick’s arms. He was still asleep, so she thought back to the events of the night before.

Nick had made love to her, had fucked her, and had turned her inside out all night long. Her favorite memory was when he fucked her against the wall.


“I have wanted to do this to you for a while now,” he growled, pressing her back against her bedroom wall.
Still gasping from her last orgasm, she cried out when he rammed into her again.
“You like this?” he whispered as he pushed into her.
She couldn’t speak. She could only nod as she clenched her walls against him, which made him moan.
“Shit, Elisa,” he said roughly, going faster.
“Baby, faster, please,” she gasped out as she felt it building up again.
“Come for me, Elisa,” he whispered, looking in her eyes, which were heavy with lust.
“I love you,” she moaned as she came again and again, closing in tight around him as she did.
“Oh, Elisa,” he groaned as he reached his own orgasm.


Elisa smiled at the memory, yet winced when she realized how sore she was.

Nick stirred, and smiled.

“Morning beautiful,” he said, stroking her back. “What are you thinking about?”

Elisa smiled sleepily.

“Last night.”

He grinned, and kissed her sweetly.

“Told you it’d be worth it.”

“Oh, it was, baby. It was.”

Nick turned to her and caressed her face.

“What are your plans for today?”

“I don’t know. Half of me doesn’t want to get out of this bed,” she said, a playful glint in her eyes.

“I have to go get more condoms, we used all of mine,” he said. “We can get breakfast while we’re out.”

“Sounds good to me.” She went to get up and winced again.

“Everything okay?”

“Yeah, just a little sore. I guess that happens after a year and a half.”

“Yeah, your neck looks pretty rough, too,” Nick said, pointing. “I bet I have some deep scratches on my back.”

“Sorry,” she said, getting up and grabbing some clothes out of her closet. Nick propped up on his elbow, watching her with a sexy grin.

“What?” she asked, putting her jeans on.

“You. You’re so fucking beautiful.”

Elisa blushed as Nick drew her back onto the bed and kissed her.

“Nick, condoms,” she gasped, as he sucked on her neck.

“Don’t need one for this,” he said lowly, reaching his hand into her jeans. He rubbed her clit sensually, enjoying her moans as she came.

“We need to go. Sooner we get done, sooner we can come back here,” he said, getting up and getting dressed.

_________________________________

They spent the rest of the day in bed, and Elisa learned that Nick definitely had amazing bedroom skills. He could go from rough and fiery to sweet and loving in seconds. He definitely focused on getting her off first, saving himself for last.

Nick learned a lot about Elisa as well. He learned that she loved being against the wall, and she loved it when he placed her legs over his shoulders. She was sensitive behind her earlobe, and she loved when he used his hands to get her off. He also discovered a tattoo of a cardinal on her hipbone that he intended to ask about later.

At night, when they were both finally spent, Nick held her in his arms. She was wearing his dress shirt from the night before, and nothing else. She was peacefully sleeping against his chest, as he looked up at the ceiling. This woman was the one of his dreams. She’d been everything he’d ever hoped for, and he never wanted this moment to end.
Chapter 17 by emeraldbecca1991
Elisa went back to work three days later, happier than she’d ever been. Nick had stayed two nights at her house before reluctantly leaving for his own, with promises to see her soon. He had to get back to work with the boys, and work on their schedule for the new year.

“Elisa Montgomery, you are radiant this morning,” Yolanda said from behind her desk. “I’m assuming it was worth it?”
“I’m not discussing my sex life at work,” Elisa said, blushing. “But, yeah. It was.”

Yolanda giggled.

“Good. As long as you’re happy, girl.”

Elisa walked into her office and prepared for the second semester rush. A lot of kids wanted to drop classes to add others, and she was prepared to deal with the attitude of teenagers who can’t get their way.

She was tired by the time Heather Reynolds came in. Heather was her personal case, a girl who came in her freshman year all rugged and jaded and was leaving at the top of her class.

“Heather, please tell me you’re not wanting to drop classes,” she said.

“No ma’am, I got this in the mail, and I’m scared to open it,” Heather said handing her a huge envelope.

“Princeton?” Elisa asked, handing it back.

“Yes, ma’am.”

“Why are you scared to open it?”

“Because if they rejected me, I’ll be upset. It’s the best college I applied to.”

Elisa sat next to Heather and took her hand.

“I thought we’d discussed this. Quit being hard on yourself. You are a bright young woman. You are going to excel at whatever you do, but you need to believe that, too,” she said.

Heather gave her a small smile.

Elisa looked at the envelope.

“Let’s open it and see what Princeton thinks.”

Heather shakily opened it and pulled out the letter.

“I was accepted!” she screamed happily. She hugged Elisa tightly.

“Thank you, Ms. Montgomery, I couldn’t have done it without you!”

Elisa wiped her eyes.

“I was the navigation, sweetie. It’s been you steering the car. Now go and tell your friends that you’re in the Ivy Leagues.”

Heather stood up and went to walk out of the door.

“Oh my God, Ms. Montgomery…that’s Nick Carter,” she whispered.

“What?” she asked, looking through the window. Yep. Nick was there, on another surprise visit. She couldn’t help the smile that broke across her face. “You want to meet him?”

“You KNOW him?” Heather asked.

Very well, Elisa thought as she nodded.

Opening the door, she grinned at Nick.

“Hey,” he said, kissing her cheek.

“Hey,” Elisa said, gesturing for Heather to come out.

Nick saw her and smiled at her sweetly.

“Hi,” he said to her.

“Nick, this is Heather. We just found out that she got into Princeton,” Elisa said, beaming with pride.

“Wow, congratulations, girl!” Nick said, shaking her hand, then, in a surprise move, hugging her.

“Th-thank you! I, um, better get going. I’m just going to assume I shouldn’t say anything?” Heather said to Elisa questioningly.

“That would be nice,” Elisa replied.


As she walked away, Elisa sat down on one of the couches in amazement. Nick sat next to her.

“Long day?” he asked. “I was going to take you to lunch, but I can leave if you’re busy.”

“No, no, I can go for lunch. Just, Heather is a walking success story, just like you. She came in during freshman year, always in trouble, and now she’s off to Princeton University. It’s overwhelming.”

“You sound proud of her.”

“I am. Students like her make me love my job.”

Nick held her hand,

“Ready to go?”

“Yeah.”


“Nick, I’ve got to get back-oh sweet God,” she moaned as Nick grazed her clit with his teeth.

They’d eaten and then parked behind a deserted building. Nick honestly wasn’t planning to have sex with Elisa, but plans change. Especially when your sexy girlfriend decides to give you a hand job while you’re driving.

So he pulled into the parking lot, and they both got in the backseat. Nick wasted no time in getting Elisa’s panties off. He got in between her legs, threw them over his shoulders, and gave her the best oral sex she’d ever had.

She came quickly and slipped her panties back on. Nick kissed her sweetly then they both got back in the front seat, and he drove her back to the school.

Elisa made it just in time, adjusting her clothes and hair as she entered her office. Smiling, she got ready for the next appointment, but Nick was definitely in the back of her mind for the rest of the day.


Meanwhile, Nick met up with the guys at AJ’s house. He could still taste Elisa on his lips, and he smiled at the memory of their little afternoon adventure.

After they’d set a few dates for the next two months, AJ leaned back in his chair.

“We have to discuss a huge matter of business here, fellas,” he said.

Nick raised an eyebrow.

“Oh?” he said, cautiously.

“Nick here…is too fucking happy here lately. And is very obviously relaxed. So either he’s found a new way of masturbation, or him and Elisa have finally had sexy time together.”

“Oh God, guys, seriously? Why are you going in on my sex life?”

“Because you’re the baby of the group, get used to it,” Howie said, grinning. “Was it good?”

“I didn’t leave her house for two days, what do you think?” Nick asked.

“Damn son. Judging by those marks on your neck and arm, I’d say she thinks the same,” Brian said, pointing them out.

Kevin cleared his throat.

“Does she make you happy?” he asked.

Nick nodded.

“The sex is amazing, but I think it’s because she’s amazing. I really love this girl. I know we met like eight months ago, but she’s it for me, man. If you guys knew half the shit she’s been through, you wouldn’t believe it.”

“Good. That’s what I like to hear. Elisa is a great girl, Kristin loves her, the rest of the wives like her. Our kids absolutely worship her. I have a lot of respect for her, as do the rest of the giys. So, Nick, I think you should know that we officially approve of her. And yes, we do this with all the women you bring around us,” Kevin added as Nick opened his mouth to object.

“She’s the first? What about Maureen?”

“James didn’t like her, but he doesn’t like anyone new. However, he loves Elisa,” Howie said, laughing.

Nick cracked up.

“We’ve been judging my relationships on the opinion of a four year old?”

“Kids and drunk men are never wrong, man.,” AJ said shrugging.

They talked for a little while longer, and then everyone started to leave.

“Hey, Brian, wait,” Nick asked.

Brian stopped in the doorway.

“I need to know some landmarks in Georgia that have stuff to do with that movie you and Elisa like so much.”

“Why?” Brian asked, amused.

“Her birthday is next month, I want to take her to Georgia to see these places.”

Brian grinned.

“You are so whipped, man. Yeah, I’ll look it up and send you a list. And congrats man,” he said, hugging Nick and clapping his back.

“Thanks.”
Chapter 18 by emeraldbecca1991
Elisa adjusted her shirt as she entered the dance studio two weeks later. She pressed play on her iPod and began to dance.

She danced all the stress of her day away. She moved her body to the rhythm of the music, loving the extra flexibility she’d been given by her nights with Nick.

Feeling a little hot, she shed the shirt, wearing a tank top, sports bra and her stretchy black cargo pants. The next song to play was Nick’s song “Burning Up”, which made her smile.

She imagined he was there with her now and began to move. She spun around, moved her feet and hips, and just lost herself in the music.


Nick was actually at the gym ready to work out when he heard his voice coming out of one of the dance rooms. He looked in through the door.

He could not believe what he was seeing.

It was Elisa, dancing to his song, “Burning Up.” She was in perfect rhythm with the song, and he was definitely turned on.

He leaned against the door and continued to watch her. He nearly moaned as she swayed her ass to the beat, and he could definitely relate to the lyric “the way you shake that ass, it makes me want to come get it fast”.

The next song was one of his as well. “Miss America” was a sexy song with a sensual message, and Nick could not wait to see how she moved to it.

His workout forgotten, Nick eased his way into the room and sat against the wall where she couldn’t see him.

He lost his breath as Elisa took off her tank top to the lyrics “take it off, take it off”, and tossed it on the floor.

Nick bobbed his head to the beat and sang under his breath as he watched his woman lose herself in another song of his. It was almost as good as watching her come undone when he made love to her. He was definitely adding this song to a list of songs they needed to dance to, because he ached to feel her body move like that against his.

She took a sip of water after the song ended, and caught her breath before starting to dance again. Her body was glistening with sweat, and she wiped herself down with a towel.

The opening notes to “Wall to Wall” began, although he noted that the lyrics were gone. Nick soon forgot that as he watched Elisa dance fiercely to the music. She was everywhere on this song, jumping and grinding and swaying. She was as good as Chris Brown himself.

As the song ended, she collapsed on the floor, breathing deeply. She had a smile on her face, and her eyes were closed.

Nick took that opportunity to sneak out of the room before she noticed someone was there. He headed to the locker room to change. As he put his jeans in the locker, his phone dinged.

Hope you enjoyed the show…you SUCK at sneaking anywhere. Lol. Love you

Well, shit.


Elisa was in the pool at the gym some time later, cooling off from her intense dancing session. She swam laps for a while and then relaxed, enjoying being the only one who was in the pool. It also helped that it was seven, and no one wanted to be at the gym at seven at night.

No one but Nick, anyway. She caught him sneaking out of the dance room as she opened her eyes. She wondered how much he had seen, and also wondered if he liked it.

Going underwater, she swam for a while, enjoying the cool water on her hot face.

Coming back up for air, she wiped the water out of her eyes to see Nick sitting on the ledge of the pool with his feet in the water.

“Are you a fish or something? You were under for a while,” he said, joking.

She stayed in the middle of the pool.

“Enjoyed the show earlier?” she asked, raising an eyebrow.

He shot her a heated gaze.

“You have no idea,” he said huskily.

Elisa shrugged and went under again. She brushed her hair out of her eyes and came back up.

“You should come here,” he said. She shook her head, smiling.

“You should come here,” she replied with an inviting gaze.

Nick laughed and got up. Backing up, he ran, did a flip, and cannon-balled into the water.

Elisa giggled as he surfaced and swam to her. He pulled her to him, and wrapped her legs around him.

“Watching you dance was the second hottest thing I’ve ever seen,” he whispered in her ear.

“What’s the hottest thing?”

“Watching you come when we make love.”

Elisa’s insides started burning for him when he said that.

“Really?” she asked as his hands made circles on her back.

“Mhm,” he said, capturing her mouth with his.

Reaching her hand into his trunks, she found his dick immediately, and began pumping her hand up and down.

“Damn, baby, that feels good,” he moaned as he placed kisses on her shoulders. His breathing became more labored as he found his release.

“Damn, girl,” he said, grinning at her. “You are going to be the death of me.”

He kissed her sweetly as she untangled her self from him.

“What, don’t want me to return the favor?” he asked, surprised.

“Nah, you’ve been hot and bothered enough for today. I’ll take care of myself when I get home,” she said, kissing him before swimming to the edge and lifting herself out of the pool.

“That sexy image doesn’t help with the hot and bothered thing,” he called after her as she wrapped a towel around herself. She laughed.

“I’ll see you later, goof. Love you.”

“I love you too, babe,” he said as she walked out.


Elisa tossed and turned that night. Three orgasms later, she still couldn’t find release the way she used to before Nick got her hooked on his ways.

“Ugh!” she groaned, frustrated. Finally, she looked at the clock. It was one in the morning. Grabbing her phone, she sent him a text.

Are you up?

Yeah, why?

Well…I can’t sleep.

Why not, baby?

It’s embarrassing.

You can tell me.


I can’t get rid of this feeling…I’ve tried like five times and I still feel like I did when I left the gym.

You can’t get off?

NO!

I’m on my way, I’ll be there in twenty.



Elisa ran to the door as she heard him pull up. She unlocked the door and he came in, shut the door, and scooped her up in his arms. He carried her to her bedroom, intent on fulfilling her need for him.

Thirty minutes later, Elisa laid on Nick’s chest, breathing heavily.

“Sorry,” she whispered as he stroked her hair.

“For what? This? Baby, I’d come over anytime you want me to. I’m hooked on you, babygirl. I’m happy to see you’re hooked on me, too,” he said, grinning.

“I mean, all I want lately is you. This. Is this craving ever going to end?” she asked. “I don’t remember wanting it this bad with Derek.”

“That’s because Derek was only out for himself. I came over to make sure you were taken care of. Real men always let ladies finish first, it’s just the unspoken rule of sex.”

“So, is this going to end? Will I ever be able to get back to normal life?”

“Hell, I hope it doesn’t end. I love this feeling. You’re the first one who needed me to come over like this. Makes me feel like a damn sex god or something,” he joked.

Elisa laughed.

“But yes, baby, the constant craving does eventually go away, but in some way it is still there. Priorities, girl. That’s all you need. And I think you have them. As long as our jobs are taken care of, we’re good,” he said, facing her, and kissing her lips sweetly.

She kissed him back, and smiled sleepily.

“You good now?” he asked.

“Yes. I wish you could stay.”

“Me too, Elisa. But I have to go to a radio station in the morning, and Kevin will cut my nuts off if I’m late,” he said, kissing her again. “I’ll call you tomorrow.”

“Okay. I love you,” she whispered.

“I love you too, Elisa. Sweet dreams,” he said softly back as she drifted off to sleep.
Chapter 19 by emeraldbecca1991
A few days later, Elisa came home from work to find one of the last people she wanted to see on her doorstep.

“Derek, you need to go,” she said, standing by her car with her arms crossed.

“Look, I wanted to apologize for what I did, and I’d love it if you gave me a second chance,” he said.

“Are you high? No. Leave,” Elisa said, as Derek walked to her.

“Please! I fucked up, and I’m sorry.”

“You’re only sorry because you’re sick of my mother, and I’m happy with someone else,” she replied.

Derek grabbed her waist.

“Come on, I know he doesn’t do it like I do,” he said.

Elisa pushed him away.

“Don’t fucking touch me,” she warned him.

“Did you seriously just push me?” he asked.

“Yeah, I did-what the fuck!?” she said as he reached out and slapped her. She fell to the ground, holding her mouth.

“No woman is going to fucking put their hands on me,” he spat.

She got up and punched him in the nuts. She then called the police as he groaned on the ground, holding his nuts in pain.

“Hey, yeah, I’ve been attacked by a trespasser, and you may need to send an ambulance, he’s roughed up pretty badly.”

______________


When the cops left with Derek in the back, Elisa called Rochelle to tell her what happened.

“Shit, Mom is going to flip,” Rochelle said.

“I don’t give a shit about her right now,” Elisa grumbled as she looked in the mirror at her face. “He really fucked up my face, I have to think of a way to explain this shit to Nick.”

“You haven’t called him yet? He should have been the first person you called, Leese!”

“He’s in the studio with the guys, I don’t want him to worry.”

“Well, tell him the truth when he asks. Derek’s in jail for the night at least so Nick couldn’t fuck him up if he wanted to, and I think he’s going to want to.”

“Okay. Get back to work, and give Lee Lee a kiss for me.”

“Will do.”

_________________________________

Nick came to her house a few hours later, and his eyes widened when he saw the bruise on her face.

“What the fuck happened?” he asked, taking her face to get a closer look. She sighed and turned away.

“My asshole ex came by, wanting me back. He grabbed me, I pushed him away. He slapped me, I punched him in the nuts and called the cops. I’m okay,” she explained, going back to the stove and stirring the spaghetti sauce.

“Why didn’t you call me?” he asked, narrowing his eyes at her.

“What could you have done? You were busy, I could handle it. And I did,” Elisa said, shrugging.

Nick was angry, but not at her. He went into her freezer and got an ice pack.

“Hey, let me do that, and you press this to your cheek. It’ll help with the swelling,” he said softly, taking the ladle from Elisa and handed her the ice pack. Sighing, she listened. She sat at the kitchen table and wrote in her journal as she pressed the pack to her cheek.

He put a plate of spaghetti in front of her when he was done.

“Thanks,” she said softly, smiling up at him.

He smiled back, and, softly kissed her bruised cheek. He took the ice pack and put it back in the freezer, and then he sat down and ate with her.

____________________

Elisa and Nick cleaned up the kitchen and sat on her couch to watch a movie.

“You’ve been quiet,” she said softly.

“I’m pissed. Not at you. At him. I really want to kill him for putting his hands on you,” Nick admitted. “I really wish you had told me before I showed up here.”

Elisa touched his face.

“I’m okay, baby. I promise.Yeah, I should have called you, and I’m sorry. But I didn’t want you to get in trouble with the law. I’m sure the guys wouldn’t want you in prison for beating a piece of shit into the ground.”

Nick pressed his forehead to hers.

“I just don’t like the idea of someone hurting you.”

Elisa straddled him on the couch and turned the TV off.

“Let me tell you something, Nick Carter, and listen closely, because I’m only saying this once. He may have slapped me but he did not hurt me. I refuse to let them hurt me anymore. I swear. The only one who has the power to hurt me now, is you. And I don’t think you will,” she said, staring into his eyes. She kissed him tenderly.

Nick shook his head.

“I won’t hurt you. I promise,” he said, kissing her back.

His lips moved to her neck and she sighed.

“You want to make me feel better?” she asked.

“Mhm,” he murmured.

“Then make love to me, Nick,” she whispered as he took her shirt off.

Nick picked her up and carried her to her room.

“Consider it done,” he said, placing her on the bed.

____________________________

Elisa moaned as he pushed into her deeper and deeper. He was taking his time with her tonight, carressing her body and whispering in her ear. He’d occasionally kiss her bruised cheek with so much tenderness that it brought tears to Elisa’s eyes.

His eyes were so intense tonight, and he was focused on loving her like he’d never done before.

“I love you so much,” he said, kissing her softly.

“I love you, too,” she moaned, arching her back to drive him deeper.

He moved where she was on his lap, and he pushed upwards as she rested her head on his shoulder. He kept hitting her sweet spot, over and over, until she felt the fire building up inside her.

“Nick, I’m close, baby,” she moaned into his shoulder.

“Just let go for me, Elisa,” he whispered in her ear.

He pushed up, going deeper into her as she cried out his name. Her walls clenched to him as she came. Her nails dug into his shoulders as she did, and the tears overflowed as he held her close.

“Hey, did I hurt you?” he asked, looking at her, concerned.

“No, baby,” she said, kissing him.

“Why are you crying?”

“Because I didn’t think anyone could love someone this much,” she said.

Nick smiled and kissed her again. He was still inside her, and he adjusted to where she was under him.

“Neither did I. But now I think anything’s possible,” he said, brushing her hair out of her face.

“Really?”

“Mhm,” he said, moving inside her again. “You have no idea what you do to me, baby.”

And he continued to work his magic on her, until the incident of that afternoon was well forgotten.

____________________________________________________

Nick’s birthday came, which also happened to be Elisa’s mom’s wedding day. Of course, since the day she put Derek in jail, she was now public enemy number one where her mom was concerned. He was on probation, and had to pay a hefty fine. There was also a restraining order where he couldn’t come within 100 ft of Elisa or her property.

Elisa wasn’t concerned. She was focused on making tonight amazing for her boyfriend’s birthday.

Unfortunately, they couldn’t make love because Mother Nature had intervened. But she was cooking dinner for him, and then she was going to watch a scary movie with him.

She was cooking grilled chicken with sweet potatoes and fresh green beans, and she had ice cream in the freezer for dessert.

Nick showed up on time, and she greeted him with a lingering kiss.

“Happy birthday,” she said, smiling up at him. He smiled back and hugged her tightly.

“Thanks, baby,” he said, putting his stuff in her bedroom.

“Dinner’s almost finished,” she said, checking the beans.


“It smells good,” he said, nuzzling her neck as she stood at the stove.

“Mmm, baby, don’t, you know I can’t,” she said.

“Damn,” he said, kissing her cheek.

“Yeah, I know,” Elisa replied. “But I may give you a birthday present later. If you’re good.”

Nick raised an eyebrow and smirked.

“What does being good entail?” he asked.

“Well, no groping and teasing me on my off week,” she said, putting her hand on her hip.

“Damn. Okay,” he said as she made their plates.

They ate, and Nick loved it. It was definitely the best meal he’d had in a while.

Nick picked The Exorcist to watch, and if Elisa hated his decision, she didn’t let it show. Nick laid down on the couch and brought Elisa down to sit in between his legs. She pulled down a throw blanket to cover them as he hit play.

Halfway through the movie, Elisa decided to quit focusing on the TV, and she began to focus on Nick instead. She ran her hands up and down his legs, and she felt his body respond. Turning over, she captured his mouth with hers and kissed him as she unbuttoned his shirt and jeans. Freeing his dick, she ducked under the covers as she began to please him with her mouth.

“Oh, shit, Elisa,” he moaned, the movie forgotten. She nipped him a little with her teeth as her tongue went around the head, making him groan. He dug his nails into the couch as she continued, and soon, he was coming into her mouth. She took it all, and came out from under the blanket with a triumphant smile on her face.

He pulled her up and held her to his chest.

“That was the best birthday gift ever,” he murmured to her, stroking her hair. “Hell, I wish I could return the favor.”

“I’ll be fine, Nick. I wanted to do that, it’s been on my mind all day. I wanted to give the man I love a birthday gift he would never forget.”

Nick kissed her sweetly.

“Trust me, I’ll never forget it.”

____________________________

Elisa woke up in her bed alone. Worried that Nick had left without telling her, she got up and grabbed the coat he’d given her and wrapped it around her. She then went out to the living room.

He wasn’t in there, but she heard his voice and his guitar coming from the kitchen.

Elisa leaned against the doorway and listened. His back was to her.

He was playing and singing “Drowning,” one of her favorite songs. There were times he would just play it on the guitar, then he would just sing it, and then he’d do both.


'Cause everytime I breathe
I take you in
And my heart beats again
Baby I can't help it
You keep me
Drowning in your love
Everytime I try to rise above
I'm swept away by love
Baby I can't help it
You keep me
Drowning in your love

Maybe I'm a drifter
Maybe not
'Cause I have known the safety
Of floating freely
In your arms
I don't need another lifeline
It's not for me
'Cause only you can save me
Oh can't you see
I can't imagine life
Without your love
And even forever don't seem
Like long enough

'Cause every time I breathe
I take you in
And my heart beats again
Baby I can't help it
You keep me
Drowning in your love
Everytime I try to rise above
I'm swept away by love
Baby I can't help it
You keep me
Drowning in your love

Go on and pull me under
Cover me with dreams, yeah
Love me mouth to mouth now
You know I can't resist
'Cause you're the air
That I breathe

'Cause everytime I breathe
I take you in
And my heart beats again
Baby I can't help it
You keep me
Drowning in your love
Everytime I try to rise above
I'm swept away by love
And baby I can't help it
You keep me
Drowning your love

Baby I can't help it
Keep me drowning
In your love
I keep drowning
In your love
Baby I can't help it
Can't help it no, no

'Cause everytime I breathe
I take you in
And my heart beats again
Baby I can't help it
You keep me
Drowning in your love
Everytime I try to rise above
I'm swept away by love
Baby I can't help it
You keep me
Drowning in your love



Elisa wiped a few tears from her eyes. She’d never seen Nick so…vulnerable like this. She listened to his beautiful voice for a few more minutes until he finished the song. He started on another song, one that she knew as soon as she heard the chords.

“Another day is gone, I’m still all alone…”

“You Are Not Alone” was, without a doubt, Elisa’s all time favorite song. She hated people who covered it, but, listening to Nick playing and singing it, she realized she loved his version.

Without thinking, Elisa started to sing along with the chorus.


Nick heard Elisa’s sweet voice join in with his when he reached the second chorus. Smiling, he turned to see her standing in the doorway, smiling softly at him as she sang. Nodding to the chair across from him, he invited her to sit with him. She did as they finished the song together.

“I didn’t mean to wake you, I thought I was being quiet,” he said.

“You didn’t wake me. I woke up and you weren’t there, so I thought you had cut and run,” she admitted.

Nick kissed her hands.

“Never in a million years, baby.”

Elisa sighed.

“Why’d you wake up?” she asked.

“I have insomnia, some days it gets bad. I play my guitar and sing, it normally tires me out.”

“Oh,” she said. She didn’t know what to say to that.

Nick eyed her up and down, and smiled.

“You really look good in my clothes,” he said, his eyes growing heated.

“Don’t go there,” Elisa said, knowing that look.

“I’m just appreciating my sexy woman’s looks, that’s all.”

She blushed as he kissed her tenderly.

“Go back to bed, baby, I’ll be there soon. I promise.”

Elisa yawned and nodded.

Watching her go, he sighed. He strummed his guitar some more, but a hour later he realized he was drowsy.
He headed to Elisa’s bedroom, and smiled at her sleeping figure. She was cuddling a pillow and sleeping peacefully.

Nick gently eased his pillow out of her grasp, and pulled her to his chest. She stirred a little, but fell back asleep.

“I love you,” he whispered to her as he drifted off to sleep.
Chapter 20 by emeraldbecca1991
Author's Notes:
short chapter, but there's more story. I have it done on my computer, I'm just copying and pasting from my Word.
Elisa woke up in Nick’s arms. She stayed there as she remembered his singing last night. She didn’t remember when he came to bed, just that he was there. “You awake?” he asked softly. “Mhm,” she said, looking up at him. He dropped a sweet kiss to her lips. “Are you still…you know?” “I haven’t checked, yet, why?” Nick smiled, remembering his dream. “I want to do something with you, but you should probably be off your period for it. It’s not sex, but it has a chance of leading to it.” Elisa grinned. “I’ll go check real quick.” Nick got up as she went to the bathroom, and he got dressed. As he was putting his shoes on, she came out, smiling. “All clear,” she said. “Cool. Put some shoes on, we’re heading to my place. Keep what you have on,” he said, as she went to grab some clothes. “What exactly are we going to do?” “You’ll see.” Once he pulled into the driveway of his house, Nick grabbed his guitar with one hand and Elisa’s hand with the other. Going around to the back of the house, he unlocked the door. Nick led Elisa to his gym, which had a spot for practicing dance moves. “Remember when I saw you dance the other day?” She nodded. “It’s been on my mind ever since. So, I want you to dance for me as I sing,” he said, grinning. Elisa’s jaw dropped. Nick was looking at her with a combination of curiousity, excitement, and heat. “What song?” “Miss America. You were fucking hot in that song, and I had a dream that we did this. I want to make it a reality,” he said, touching her face. “It can be something for just the two of us, babygirl. I’ve never done this with anyone else.” Elisa smiled a little. “I’ll try,” she said. “Start playing.” As he sang, she began to move as he strummed his guitar. He began to sing as her hips swayed seductively. Nick didn’t write the song, but now he knew the song had to have written for this goddess in front of him. He could definitely relate to the sexy lyrics as she did a beautiful backbend and swayed her waist as she came back up. She then stripped off her tank top as she continued to dance in her bra and stretch pants. He watched her as he played and sang, wanting her so badly, yet wanting to see her dance more. She was putting this show all on for him, and he was eating it up. As he ended the song, he tossed the guitar and sang the last few lyrics walking to her seductively. She grinded her body against his as he stood behind her, with one arm across her chest. As he quit singing, he kissed her shoulders. She sighed and melted against him. He turned her around where she was facing him. “Thank you,” he whispered before capturing her mouth with his. Picking her up, he carried her to his bedroom, where he was intent on showing her just how much she really meant to him. Hours later, Nick rubbed Elisa’s naked back as she slept. He noticed she had a tattoo on her side, of something in Spanish. He didn’t speak it much, so he would ask her about it later. He got out of bed and put a pair of sweats on. He went outside and sat on his back porch, watching the sun go down. He thought of the sleeping woman upstairs, and wondered how in the hell he fell for her so fast. They’d come so far from that sidewalk six months ago. He hadn’t intended on things going this far with Elisa, but he was glad that they did. She was the best thing that had happened to him, and everyone around him knew it. His phone rang, and he checked the caller ID. It was Aaron. “Yeah, man?” he asked. “Hey, what’s up?” “Nothing much, why?” “Wanted to know if you wanted to hang out tonight, I got home last night.” “That’s cool but I can’t hang out right now, I’ve got…company.” “A chick, right?” Aaron asked. “My girlfriend, yeah. I’ll let you guys meet her one day soon,” Nick replied. “Is she anything like the last one?” “Nope. Maureen was nice, but this girl is…wow. You guys are going to love her.” “Mom won’t, she doesn’t like any of your girlfriends.” “Yeah, well, Mom is different story. Call up AJ, I’m sure he’d like to see you.” Aaron laughed. “I’ll go over there, I haven’t seen Ava yet. Later,” he said. “Later,” Nick replied and hung up. Elisa woke up and heard a guitar playing. She smiled and followed the sound to a room down the hall. Nick looked up from his guitar and saw Elisa standing there, and grinned. “About time you woke up, beautiful,” he said, putting his guitar down and gesturing for her to come to him. Elisa walked to him and he pulled her into his lap. He sighed deeply and she rested her head on his shoulder. “What were you playing just now?” “Surprised you didn’t recognize it. It was one of Frankie’s songs. ‘Is This What You Call Love’,” Nick said. “That song is deep, and painful. Why were you playing it?” “Just practicing. I do better with songs that aren’t mine,” Nick said. “You hungry?” “Yeah, a bit. I can cook something if you want,” she said. “Nah, I’ll do it. Tilapia sound good?” Elisa grinned. “Sounds great.” As he cooked, Elisa went back to the gym. She wanted to dance again, so she put some music on her phone. Noting she hadn’t danced to Michael Jackson in a while, she quickly made a playlist to dance to, and hit play. About an hour later, she sat on a weight bench, exhausted but fufilled. There was one more song to do, but she wanted to save it for later. Putting her shirt on, she headed to the kitchen where Nick was finishing dinner. After they ate, Elisa helped him clean up. It led to a water fight after Nick placed ice down her shirt, and soon they were both soaking wet and laughing like little kids. They sat on the kitchen floor, cleaning up the mess they had made. “I love this,” he said, picking up the wet towels. “Making a flood in your kitchen?” Elisa asked, confused. “No, me and you being like this. Just enjoying each other,” he said, dumping the towels in the washing machine. He then stripped off his shirt and tossed it in too. “Shirt, please.” “I don’t have anything else,” she said, rolling her eyes. “Good thing I have tons of shirts upstairs. Come on,” he said, his hand extended. Elisa laughed, and took her shirt off. “You just wanted to see me with my shirt off.” “Yep. Come on, let’s see what we got upstairs,” Nick said, grinning playfully. Soon, she was in one of his oversized black T-shirts. He’d wrapped one of his scarves around her waist, so it looked like a dress on her. “Damn, that looks good,” he said, admiring her as she took her soaked pants off. She walked downstairs and dropped them in the washing machine with her shirt. “Come with me,” he said, extending his hand. She took it, and he led her outside. They walked on the beach and sat down where the waves lapped against their feet. The moon reflected off of the ocean, and the stars were shining bright. “I was wondering…you want to meet my family?” he asked after a while. “Like your sisters and brother and them?” Elisa asked, nervously. “Yeah,” Nick replied. “Aaron called earlier wanting to catch up and I told him about us.” “I wouldn’t mind meeting them. What about your mom?” Nick sighed, deep in thought. “I hope she’ll like you, but she never likes anyone I bring around, so I wouldn’t get my hopes up.” Elisa smiled and leaned against him. “Only one way to find out,” she said. “Yeah. Ready to head up to the house?” “Yeah. I’m pretty wore out, thanks to you,” she said jokingly. “I’ll take that as a compliment,” he said, kissing her cheek and helping her up. He dusted the sand off of her before walking back to his house. Elisa woke up around three to an empty bed again. Yawning, she got up and found Nick in his music room again, playing a tune on a piano. “You always find a way to surprise me,” she whispered to herself as she watched him. She recognized the song from the Millennium album.

“I need you tonight, I need you right now. I know deep within my heart, it doesn’t matter if it’s wrong or right, I really need you tonight,” he sang softly, focusing on the piano.


Elisa sat on a chair behind him, and waited for him to finish singing. When he did, he propped his face on his hand, and sighed. She walked up behind him, and rested her chin on his head.

“How did I know you’d be here?” he asked, taking her hand and kissing it softly.

“The same way I knew where to find you when I woke up alone,” she murmured. “You can’t sleep?”

“No. I have a lot on my mind,” he said, turning to face her. He pulled her into his lap and kissed her lips softly. “I’ll be there soon, I promise.”

“Is there anything I can do?” she asked, concerned.

“No, baby, it’s something I need to get through on my own,” he said, smiling slightly at her.

Elisa kissed him goodnight and walked back to bed, leaving Nick with his thoughts.

Lately he’d been dreaming of Leslie, his sister who had died a couple years ago. He still blamed himself a lot for her death, and he had a feeling his family did, too.

He was not looking forward to taking Elisa to meet his family. It had nothing to do with her, she was perfect in every way. He was worried about his family’s reaction, namely, BJ and his mother. His dad, and the twins he wasn’t too worried about.

BJ still had her issues with Leslie’s death. She, too, had a problem with alcohol, but Leslie dying didn’t seem to wake her up at all.

And his mom, she was worse. She was always content with living through her kids, until they cut her off. She hated anyone who took her place in the kids world, which meant boyfriends, girlfriends, etc.

Nick thought of Elisa. She was definitely the brightest spot in his life, with the band being a close second. They were his true family, in his opinion.

Sighing, he closed the lid on the piano and walked into his bedroom. Elisa was still awake. She was sitting with her knees to her chest, waiting for him.

Nick sat next to her, and she climbed on top of him.

“You’d tell me if something was wrong, right?” Elisa asked him, looking onto his eyes.

He nodded.

“Yes, I would. It’s just I’m used to dealing with this alone.”

“Well, you’re not alone anymore, baby. Talk to me,” she pleaded.

Nick gently pushed her off of him, so he could talk to her without being distracted.

“It’s Leslie. She’s been on my mind lately.”

Elisa nodded for him to continue.

“I still carry a lot of guilt for her dying. I feel like I should have done more, that I was a terrible role model. In the end, I was so sick of everyone coming to me to help her, but what they don’t understand is that I couldn’t help her if she didn’t want to help herself.”

“I understand that,” Elisa said softly. He smiled at her.

“I know you do. I wish everyone else could, too.”

“I know. But they can’t be forced to understand it until they can come to accept it. I actually sent something when she died. Way before I even knew you. We had lost a student around the same time, through the same way. I felt for you. Plus Yolanda never stopped talking about you back then, so I knew so much about your life even if I didn’t want to know,” she admitted, laughing a little.

Nick laughed with her.

“I look for it. I have all that stuff in the garage somewhere.”

Elisa took his hand.

“I love you, Nick. I want you to come to me if you ever need to get this crap off your chest,” she said.

Nick nodded.

“I will. I promise”
Chapter 21 by emeraldbecca1991
Nick’s schedule was due to be extremely busy in March, since they had a two month long tour in Europe coming up. He was determined to make February the best month for Elisa. Especially since it was her birthday month.

First, there was meeting his family, which actually went extremely well.

They had all met at a resteraunt in town, and everyone had gotten on very well.

Angel had actually met Elisa before, during Elisa’s college days. She had done a photshoot at the college Elisa attended, and Elisa was part of the group that was showing her around.

Bob, Nick’s father, was interested in Elisa’s career, and admired her for the job she did. He liked that Elisa had her own career, and didn’t expect to live off of Nick.

Even Jane was civil to Elisa, asking about her goals in life. Elisa let it be known and that she was content in her job now.

“What about marriage?” Jane asked.

“I don’t know, Ms. Jane. I’ve been engaged, and obviously, that didn’t work out. Marriage is something I’d like but I don’t know when.”

“Kids?”

Elisa shook her head.

“Not possible with me, unless I adopt.”

Jane looked at her with apologies in her eyes.

“I’m so sorry. I won’t pry,” she said, much to Nick’s surprise.

All in all, her meeting his family was successful. Aaron liked her sense of humor, and even BJ admired the way she handled Nick when he and Aaron got too loud.
Bob took Nick aside after dinner.

“She’s a good woman, Nick. And if your mother can warm up to her, I’d say she’s worth keeping around.”

“I know, Dad.”

“I know shit’s been hard since we lost your sister. But I am proud of you, son. You’ve come a long way from where you started.”

Nick swallowed a lump in his throat as he hugged his dad.

“Marry that girl,” his dad said as he walked away.

_____________


Nick called Brian up a few days later.

“Hey, how did you know when it was time to ask Leighanne to marry you?” Nick asked him as soon as he answered.

“Well, hello to you, too, asshole. And please don’t tell me you’re going to propose, because even I have to draw a line somewhere.”

“Not right now, but the thought’s there,” Nick said

“Honestly? You’ll just…know. It’s not something you plan, or any of that. It’s one of those moments that spring up on you, and there’s no preparing for it.”

“So not now?”

“Hell no. If you have to ask, it’s not time yet. You haven’t even known her for a year.”

“True. Just my dad said ‘marry that girl’, and he hadn’t even said that about Maureen.”

“Oh we all know she’s the one for you, there’s no denying that. You just don’t want to ruin it by rushing stuff.”

Nick grinned.

“Thanks, man.”

“No problem. You still taking her to Georgia for her birthday?”

“Yep. I have the tickets already reserved.”

“Good. Stop on by when you’re here. We can celebrate our birthdays together, Elisa and me.”

“Yeah that sounds nice. We’ll do that.”

“Alright. Anything else?”

“Yeah, Valentine’s Day. What the hell do I do again?”

“Nick, you’re hopeless,” Brian said, exasperated.

____________________________

On Valentine’s Day, Nick picked Elisa up at her house. She looked stunning in a deep blue low cut dress.

“So, I guess it’s pointless to ask where we’re going?” she asked.

“We’re going to Gordon Ramsey’s restaurant, The Fat Cow. We’ll take it from there,” Nick said, kissing her deeply.

An hour later, Nick showed up to the restaurant, which had photographers here and there.

“Nick! Is this your new girlfriend?”

“Are the rumors of you going on tour in Europe true?”

“When’s the next album coming out?”

Nick smiled at Elisa, who sighed and shrugged.

“It was bound to happen,” she said, smiling.

“Ready to give them a show?” he asked, raising an eyebrow.

Elisa nodded, and Nick kissed her lightly.

“Yes, this is my new girlfriend. I’m happy, she’s happy, and we’re enjoying our time together,” he told the reporters. He then escorted Elisa into the restaurant, where the host showed them to their table.

“Order whatever you want,” Nick said, after ordering two teas for them.

“Um, this is definitely not what I had in mind when I thought of a Gordon Ramsey restaurant,” she said happily as she ordered a steak. Nick ordered the same, and the food was out immediately.

“Oh my God, this is so good,” she said, taking a bite.

“Better than sex?” he asked, an evil sparkle in his eyes.

Elisa grinned.

“Almost,” she said.

Nick laughed

“We’ll see,” he said, giving her one of her favorite heated gazes, which made her melt inside.

After they ate, Nick drove on an ocean-side highway until he found a picnic area that was deserted. There was a full moon tonight, and the ocean was calm. Nick led Elisa to a bench that overlooked the sea.

“What would you say to a good old fashioned high school make out session?” he whispered in her head, stroking the back of her neck.

“I wouldn’t say no,” she said back, before his mouth captured hers.

Elisa lost herself in his kisses. He knew how to melt her insides with one look, but when his lips were on hers, her insides turned into mush. She loved what he did to her, and she wanted more. She always wanted more with him.

He broke the kiss with ragged breath.

“Let’s go home,” he said.

Elisa nodded, and he led her to the car.

All the way back to his house, she pondered his words. He didn’t say “let’s head to my place” or “my house”, he said “let’s go home”, as if it were her house too.

She didn’t know if Nick realized what he’d said, and she definitely wasn’t going to bring it up.


Nick pulled into his driveway and led Elisa inside.

“I love you,” he said, unzipping her dress slowly, feeling the skin that was revealed. Elisa unbuttoned his shirt and sighed, loving the way his muscles tensed under her touch.

Nick had a way of making every time they made love feel like the first time, and tonight was no different. He sat on his couch with her standing in front of him, feeling up her body as he undressed her. He pulled her down onto his lap and ran his long fingers down her back.

“I need to get a condom,” he whispered.

“No you don’t. I’m on birth control, you know, just in case, and I trust you,” she said, looking him in the eyes.

Nick raised an eyebrow as he gave her a sexy smile.

“Really?”

“Mhm.”

Nick groaned and pushed her panties to the side. Undoing his pants, he rammed into her, feeling her fully for the first time.

She rode him slowly, moaning as he hit all the right spots. He ran his hands across her hips and legs, and murmured her name as they reached their peaks together.

Elisa collapsed on top of him, out of breath. Nick held her close to him as he caught his own breath.

“That felt so good,” she whispered.

“Yeah, it did,” he said, stroking her back. Picking her up, he carried her to his bed, already ready for round 2.

___________________________________

Tonight was a switch. Now Elisa couldn’t sleep as Nick slept peacefully next to her.

Getting up, she took one of his hoodies and walked outside onto his patio. The sounds of the ocean were relaxing to her as she lost herself to her thoughts.

She couldn’t shake the comment Nick had said to her at the picnic area. It sparked something in her. She wanted to be here, she wanted to call this place her home.

Which was crazy! They’d only been dating a few months, and he was about to go away for two months. It was way too soon to be wanting this, yet, here she was, wanting it and wanting it badly.


Nick woke up to see that Elisa wasn’t in bed. He looked out the window and saw her sitting on the patio, with her knees up to her chest.

Throwing some sweats and a tank top on, he walked out to her.

“What’s on your mind?” he asked, sitting next to her.

“Too much,” she admitted.

“Well, tell me.”

Elisa sighed.

“You made a comment at the beach earlier. Something I’m sure meant nothing but it’s been in my mind since you said it, and it’s driving me nuts.”

“Did I hurt your feelings by it?”

“No! Oh, no no no. It just sparked an idea and now it won’t leave me alone.”

“Well, what did I say?”

“You said ‘let’s go home’,” she said. “Not ‘let’s go to my house’.”

Nick chewed his lip as he thought.

“Damn. Talk about a Freudian slip,” he finally said.

“Huh?”

“You know, when you say something you’re thinking without realizing what you’ve said.”

“So…what have you been thinking?”

Nick smiled, embarrassed.

“That I want to be with you for the rest of my life. Yet I’m wanting to take it slow, and not rush into anything.”

Elisa nodded.

“This is your home, though. Whenever you want to stay here, my door is open. Home, to me, is wherever you’re at,” he said, touching her face tenderly.

“You mean that?” she asked him.

He nodded, and leaned over to kiss her.

“Is that all?” he asked her.

“Yeah.”

Nick took her hand.

“Then come back to bed with me, babe,” he said softly.

He led her back in and they both fell asleep peacefully.
Chapter 22 by emeraldbecca1991
Nick and Elisa were on a plane a few days later, heading to Atlanta to meet up with Brian and Leighanne. Thank God this was on a weekend, or she wouldn’t have been able to go.

Nick was being quiet on what all they were going to do in Atlanta. As far as Elisa knew, the trip to Atlanta was her present. She was excited nonetheless.

They landed in Atlanta and Leighanne was waiting for them. She greeted them enthusiastically, hugging Elisa tightly and kissing Nick on the cheek.

“Bri’s at home with Bailey, he didn’t feel well,” Leighanne explained.

As they headed to Brian’s house, Leighanne caught up with Elisa.

“So, what’s new at work?”

“Some stuff came up that I’ll talk about later,” Elisa said, making Nick look at her curiously.

“Okay, we’re here!” Leighanne said brightly, pulling into the driveway of her decent sized house.

Elisa walked through the door to hear a huge “SURPRISE!”

All the guys, their wives, and their kids were there, in a very decorated living room.

“Oh my God, guys!” she exclaimed, covering her face.

“Happy birthday, girl!” AJ said, bumping his ass on hers.

“Thanks, ya’ll, wow,” Elisa said taking everything in.

They all had cake and refreshments, and Leighanne gave her a gift of new writing journals.

“I’m sure yours is getting full,” she said.

Elisa bit her lip and nodded.

Leighanne noticed her look, and pulled her aside.

“What the hell is going on? What’s going on at work?”

“They want to promote me. They want to send me to Buenos Aires to work with underprivileged teens for a year,” Elisa said in a whisper.

“Oh my god,” Leighanne said, clapping her hands to her mouth. “And Nick doesn’t know?”

“No. I need to talk to him, but they need an answer by the end of April.”

Leighanne shook her head and hugged her.

“I’ll be here if you need me, I promise.”

______________________________________

Nick surprised her the next day by taking her to the house that was the inspiration for Tara in “Gone with the Wind”.

“How in the hell did you do this?” she asked as they walked the grounds.

“Brian helped. He told me of all the places here I need to take you, that were inspired by that chick flick you two like so much.”

Elisa punched him on the arm playfully as they walked on.

“Okay, so, not really wanting to ruin our day, but what was that about your job yesterday? What’s come up?” Nick asked, leaning against a tree.

Elisa winced, really not wanting to talk about it.

“They want to promote me,” she said.

Nick grinned.

“That’s amazing, Elisa!” he said, kissing her. Pulling away, he saw the look on her face that suggested it wasn’t really great news. “What?”

“The job is out of the country. I’d be helping underprivileged teenagers in Buenos Aires for a year,” she explained.

“Oh, wow,” Nick said, leaning against the tree again.

“What are you going to do?”

“I don’t know. I need to give them an answer by the end of April.”

Nick smiled at her.

“So you have plenty of time to decide,” he said. “Don’t worry about it right now, let’s just enjoy your birthday.”

Elisa smiled back, and kissed his cheek.

“Thanks baby,” she said.

_________________________

Brian, Leighanne, Nick, and Elisa went out to dinner at one of Brian’s favorite places. It served real soul food, and, although both Nick and Elisa were concerned about their diets, they gave in with promises to upping their runs the next day.

Nick thought about what Elisa’s dilemma was. He did not like the idea of her going away for a year for work. However, he knew that he did it all the time.

She loved her job, and Nick was happy she did. It gave her something to do while he was gone, but he would be lying if he said he’d be happy if she chose Argentina. He’d be devastated.

As he watched Elisa interact with his friends-well, her friends now- he couldn’t help but feel some sort of dread in his stomach. He had a feeling this wasn’t going to end well.

___________________


Their happiness truly was short lived, as the next week, the guys took off on their tour.

Nick kissed Elisa sweely as she tried to hold back her tears.

“Don’t cry, baby girl. I’m already having problems getting on that plane,” he said, chocking back his own sadness.

“I’m just going to miss you. I know you’ll be back, it’s just going to be hard sleeping without you.”

Nick grinned suddenly.

“What?” she asked, smiling slightly.

He took something out of his pocket and handed it to her.

It was a key.

“It’s not the same as sleeping with me, but if you’re in my bed, it’s close,” Nick said, chewing the inside of his jaw.

“Thanks, baby,” she whispered.

“Nick, time to go,” Kevin said, sending a sympathetic smile to Elisa.

Nick pulled Elisa in for one last kiss, and he made it count.

“I love you, Elisa Montgomery,” he said, looking in her eyes.

“I love you, too, Nick Carter. Come back to me,” she whispered back.

“Always.”
Chapter 23 by emeraldbecca1991
“I think I’m going to take the job,” Elisa told Yolanda.

“Aren’t you going to talk to Nick?” Yolanda asked.

“Of course I am,” Elisa said. “When he’s home.”

“You can’t do that,” Yolanda said. “They need an answer right when he gets home.”

“I don’t know how to tell him. I love him so much, and I don’t want to hurt him. Plus I want him focused over there.”

Yolanda rolled her eyes.

“You’re going to do what you want so why am I bothering? I just hope for your sake you know what you’re doing.”

__________________________________


Elisa signed her contract the next week, and felt pretty good about everything.

She knew Nick was going to be a little upset, but she had a plan to offset that. She called Kristin in mid-March to tell her and they got the rest of the ladies on board for a night that the guys would never forget.

____________________

Finally, it was time for the Backstreet Boys to come home.
The boys saw their driver waiting for them when they got home, but no women.

“What the hell?” AJ asked. The rest of the guys shrugged their shoulders, frustrated as well. Nick hoped everything was okay.

“The ladies are somewhere else, they’ve given me strict instructions to take you to them,” the driver said, opening the limo door.

“This is either really good, or really bad,” Kevin said, stretching out his legs.

“I’m hoping good,” Howie said.

“Damn, why ya’ll so worried for?” Nick asked, kidding. “Our girls are cool, maybe they just didn’t want to be at the airport.”

The driver showed up at a club that was empty-looking.

“Okay, now I’m scared,” Nick admitted. “They’re going to kill us for something. I don’t know what, but they are plotting our murders right now.”

Nervously, they all walked in, where the front row of tables were set for them. Frankie J was sitting on the stage, and grinned when he saw them.

“Dudes, you have no idea what’s about to happen,” he said, laughing.

“We’re going to die, aren’t we? Shit, I knew I should have called Leigh more,” Howie said, freaking.

“Nah, you’re not going to die. Just take a seat.”


Meanwhile, the girls were in their outfits for the night, giggling at what they were about to put the boys through.

“Kevin doesn’t even know I can dance,” Kristin said, fluffing her hair.

Elisa grinned at her friend, applying one last coat of eyeliner.

“They are going to explode when they see what we have planned,” she said.

Frankie came backstage, grinning.

“They’re here, and convinced they are dead men walking. Are you girls ready?”

Elisa nodded.

“Oh yeah.”



Nick was tapping his foot, wondering what was going on. He had no doubt this was his girl’s idea, since shit like this never happened with the other girls.

The curtain raised and he lost his breath. He heard their remix to the call as five silhouettes of the girls showed on stage. Frankie rapped the beginning as each girl made their appearance. All of them were in a black tank top, blue jean mini skirt, and black Nikes.

Rochelle sang AJ’s part, dancing as she did. It was their dance, just with the girl’s spin on it.

Nick’s first solo was taken by Kristin, as Kevin grinned at his wife. They all danced some more as Frankie rapped again, then Elisa took the mike, gave Nick the sexiest look as she sang his second solo, and danced as she did.

The guys were clapping and moving along as their wives gave the show of their lives on that stage, and it was all for them.

They had one more song to sing, that involved chairs. Nick knew immediately what song it was.

Not disappointing him, Elisa and Leighanne sang “As Long As You Love Me” as they did the dance that went with it.

“We thought we’d give you guys a welcome home you wouldn’t forget,” Leigh said as she smiled brightly at Howie.

“Ya’ll go get your guys, girls,” Frankie said. The girls jumped off the stage and went to their husbands, or, in Elisa’s case, boyfriend.

Nick lifted Elisa off the ground and kissed her passionately.

“Why do I think this was your idea?” he asked, grinning at her.

Elisa smiled back.

“Because it was. I’m surprised they went with it, I was going to go solo, just for you,” she said in a seductive tone.

“Mmm, maybe you can give me a solo performance later?” he whispered in her ear. “Let’s get home, we have a lot of catching up to do.”

___________________________


Nick watched Elisa’s sleeping figure and sighed. He got up and went to shower, when he saw a piece of paper sticking out of her bag. He pulled it out, and read it.

“What the fuck?” he said under his breath.


Elisa woke up the next morning alone. She walked downstairs and saw Nick at the kitchen table.

“Nick?” she asked.

“We need to talk,” he said.

Elisa sat down, and saw with a shock that he’d been drinking.

“Nick, please, if we have to talk, it can wait til you’re sober.”

“No, we’re going to do it now.”

“Okay,” Elisa said, scared out of her mind. “What’s up?”

“I found this in your bag,” he said, throwing a piece of paper on the table.

It was a copy of her signed contract to work in Argentina.

“Fuck,” she said, putting her head in her hands.

“When were you going to tell me?” he asked.

“Today, I swear. I didn’t-“

“I don’t want to hear your fucking excuses, Elisa! You should have talked to me about this!”

“I was going to! I was waiting til you-“

“Get out,” he said lowly.

“Excuse me?” Elisa asked, taken aback.

“Get the fuck out of my house, I don’t want to fucking see you right now!” he exclaimed, throwing his beer bottle at the wall.

Elisa looked at him, truly frightened now. Getting up slowly, she got her things and walked out of his house. Getting her phone, she called a cab.

Once she was home, she sat against her door and broke down in tears. She called Yolanda immediately.

“Yolanda? Please don’t say I told you so, please,” she sobbed into the phone.
Chapter 24 by emeraldbecca1991
Yolanda showed up at Elisa’s house, and hugged her tight.

“Honey, it’s okay,” Yolanda said.

“He was so angry,” Elisa said. “I drove him to get drunk. He wouldn’t even let me explain.”

Yolanda went to speak when Elisa’s phone rang.

“Shit, it’s AJ,” Elisa said, her face as white as a ghost.

Yolanda took the phone from her and answered it.

“Hello…yeah…sorry but…you’re not saying shit to her if all you’re going to do is yell at her and not let her explain, she’s had enough of that…yeah your boy got drunk off his ass and wouldn’t let Elisa explain shit…promise you won’t yell at her? Okay.”

Yolanda handed the phone to Elisa.

“Tell me what happened,” AJ said in a controlled tone.

Elisa did.

“Okay. Give him time then try to explain this shit to him. You really should have told him sooner.”

“I know, AJ. I feel horrible for it,” she said, crying again.

“I know, girl. We’ll get through this.”

____________________


Two days later, Elisa took a deep breath and walked into Nick’s house.

She found him on the couch, a beer bottle in his hand again.

She shook her head, but he patted the couch by him.

“Nick we need to talk,” she said.

“What for? You’ve made up your mind. I wasn’t even worth talking to,” Nick said, rolling his eyes.

“Are you going to sit there and act like a little kid, or are you going to hear me out?” Elisa asked, disgusted with his behavior.

Nick didn’t speak, but his face told her to continue.

“I didn’t tell you because I didn’t want to upset you while you were on tour. You leave me here all the time, I thought you would understand.”

“I can handle news like that on tour, I’ve dealt with much worse. And yeah, I’m not mad that you are going to be gone, I’m mad that we didn’t discuss it like we were supposed to.”

“I know that, and I’m sorry! I have heard it from AJ, from Kevin, from Brian…I’ve been hearing it all damned week. I cannot begin to say how many ways I’ve apologized. I should have told you. I am sorry!”

“Sorry doesn’t mean shit to me,” he said.

“Sorry doesn’t mean anything to a drunk! This isn’t who I fell in love with!”

Elisa clapped her hands over her mouth, realizing what she had said.

“Nick, wait,” she said as he walked out of the room.

“Nick, please, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it.”

“I’m done,” he said angrily to her.

“No, baby, please!”

“Get out, I don’t want to see you!”

“Nick, please, listen!”

“No! That sounds like a line your mom would use, and I thought you were above that. Like mother like daughter, huh?”

Elisa felt like he’d slapped her. She felt the anger bubbling up in her, and she let it loose.

“Fine! You want to be done, then take this back,” she said, ripping the chain off her neck. She tossed it at hm and walked away She hoped it hit him in the face. She left his house and slammed the door, rattling the windows as she did.

Once in her car, she broke down and cried. Once she had composed herself, she drove home, crawled into bed, and cried herself into a troubled sleep.

Meanwhile, Nick was kicking himself. He knew she didn’t mean the drunk comment, any more than he meant the comment about her mother. He watched her out the window as she drove off. He just wanted to run after her and tell her how sorry he was.

He had a feeling he just lost the best thing in his life.
Chapter 25 by emeraldbecca1991
In June, Elisa gave the car and apartment keys to her sister. Today was the day she was heading to Buenos Aires to begin her yearlong assignment.

She drove to the airport and saw a huge goodbye flag.

The Backstreet Boys, minus one, and their families were waiting to see her off.

Wiping a tear from her face, she smiled at them.

AJ was the first one to hug her tightly.

“You stay safe out there, girl. We’ll be here waiting for you next year,” he said, tears in his eyes. He handed her an envelope. “He couldn’t do it. But he wants you to have this.”

Elisa tucked it into her bag and kissed AJ on the cheek.

Kevin hugged her next.

“I don’t care what happens. You are always welcome in my home,” he said gruffly.

“Thanks, Kevin,” she whispered.

Howie hugged her and gave her a book about Spanish, and finally Brian hugged her.

“I don’t know what’s going on between you and Nick, but I’m keeping the faith about it. You two belong together,” he said. “Please, take care of yourself, for all of us, even him.”

“I will” Elisa said, full on crying now.

The girls all hugged her. Leighanne held her face in her hands.

“Keep your head up, Leese. Everything will get better. Now go make Argentina fall in love with you life you did with all of us,” she said, wiping tears from her own face.

“Thank you, for everything,” Elisa said, hugging her friend. Wiping her face, she smiled sadly. “Well, I guess this is it.

The group waved as she turned to the terminal. Looking back, she caught her breath as she saw a tall man standing a little ways from the group in a hoodie. As he looked up, Elisa saw it was Nick, and her eyes filled with tears. Nick looked at her, and gave a crooked sad smile.

She gave a small nod, and she turned, and boarded the plane.

Once in her seat, she took out the envelope. It was addressed to her. Opening it, she recognized Nick’s handwriting.



Elisa,

I’m trying to figure out what I can say to you. We said a lot of shit we didn’t mean a few weeks ago.

I wish I could take it all back. I know I hurt you and I promised I wouldn’t, so I feel like shit.

SO, with that said, here’s what you need to know.

I’m going to rehab tomorrow. I need to get my drinking thing in control. When you’re back, I want to be 100%.

I want you to be safe, and know that wherever I am, I still care. We may not be together anymore, but nothing will change the fact that you have my heart.

Nick.



Elisa couldn’t stop her tears. As the plane took off, she knew she was leaving her heart in LA, with Nick.

___________________________________

“So this is your room, it’s very nice,” Patricia Rios said to her as she showed her the place where Elisa would be staying. “My mom is very nice, and will help whenever you need it.”

“Thank you,” Elisa said, dropping her bags.

“Is everything okay?”

“I don’t know. I’m happy about being here, but I lost my boyfriend over it. I’m hurting pretty bad,” Elisa explained.

“Oh, I’m sorry. Did you love him?”

“Yeah,” Elisa said. “But, whatever. I came to make a difference and I can’t let him bring me down, can I?”

Patricia grinned.

“Nope. So, let’s go check out your office at the center, and we’ll get started.”


For the next few months, Elisa had the time of her life. She loved her job in Buenos Aires, she loved the teenagers there, and she had definitely made a new friend in Patricia. She had a fiery temper, was bold, and was shocked when she learned that Elisa’s ex boyfriend was Nick Carter.

“Girl I would have said screw the job! Oh my God, you are so lucky! Is he good in bed? How is he as a boyfriend?”

Elisa laughed.

“Yeah, he’s definitely a gentleman, in all senses of the word. And he was an incredible lover.”

“So why’d you leave?”

“Because…it’s complicated. I love my job. It’s what I was born to do. Like he was born to perform, I was born to do this. Our break up was kind of my fault, I didn’t tell him I took the job until after I signed the paper,” Elisa explained.

Patricia shook her head.

“I’m goin to tell you what I think, chikita. I think you’re estupida, homegirl. No way would I take this job over a fine ass man, who’s a perfect gentleman, and is a fucking god in bed. No way. But hey, it’s your life, you make your own choices.”

Elisa smiled, and nodded.

“True. So, this Delores, tell me about her,” she said, changing the subject.

Patricia gave Elisa the history of the newest addition to the center, and Nick was soon forgotten.

__________________________________________

Sometime in October, after locking up her office, Elisa walked out of the center and right into a good looking, muscular man.

“Hey, sorry, I was looking for Patricia,” he said, with an adorable accent.

“I’m sorry, she left a little while ago, I can tell her you came to look for her,” Elisa said, giving the guy a smile.

He smiled back.

“Nah, it’s cool. I’m her brother. Diego Rios, and you…must be the famous Elisa Montgomery,” he said, extending his hand.

She shook it.

“You know who I am?”

“Patricia doesn’t shut up about you. What you’ve done to this place, to these kids, it’s awesome.”

“Um, thanks,” Elisa said, walking to her rental car. He walked with her.

“So, when you heading back home,” he asked.

“May, I think. Just depends on how things work here.”

Diego grinned.

“We should hang out before then, maybe we can convince you to stay?”

Elisa laughed.

“I’ll think about it,” she said. Waving to him, she got into her car, and drove to Patrica’s mom’s house, where she saw that Leighanne was online.



Leighanne: oh my god, hey! Can’t believe we’re online at the same time!

Elisa: yeah, great timing! I want the news, how are you guys doing?

Leighanne: well, nothing much. The guys are about to do some South America dates, maybe you’ll see them. I know Brian mentioned it.

Elisa: wouldn’t that be weird, though?

Leighanne: nah. Well maybe. Idk.

Elisa: I might see Brian but I can’t deal with…well you know.

Leighanne: I know. His rehab went okay, by the way, he’s once again sober. Enough about us, how are you doing

Elisa: Busy. Tired. Just got hit on by a cute Latino.

Leighanne: ooh la la , maybe a fling before you come home?

Elisa: no, I’m not a fling person. I’m not interested in him, it felt nice though

Leighanne: I was teasing. Brian’s here, he wants to talk to you.

Leighanne (Brian): Hey girl! Hope you’re okay down there in Argentina. We’re going to be in BA in two weeks, and I better see you there. Nick won’t care, and to be honest, the rest of the guys miss your face. So let me know and I’ll get you some tickets and passes.

Elisa: do I really have a choice?

Brian: NOPE! Lol

Elisa: okay. Get some for me and a friend.

Brian: whooop! Okay will do. Love ya girl, stay safe!



Elisa laughed as she signed out. As much as she dreaded seeing Nick, she was excited to see the group again. She’d be lying if she said she didn’t miss them, because she did.

She decided to call Patricia, to tell them what they would be doing in two weeks.

“No shit! Wow, girl, you’re the best!”
Chapter 26 by emeraldbecca1991
The day of the concert came, and Elisa was nervous. Patricia was all smiles as she drove to the venue.

“I’m actually going to meet them! You have no clue how much this means to me,” she was saying.

Elisa smiled a little.

“You’re not really looking forward to this, are you?” Patricia asked.

“No, I am, I’ve missed these guys, and it’ll be nice seeing most of them.”

“You’re nervous about Nick?”

“Yeah.”

“Are you wanting to be with him again?”

“Not right now. He said something to me, that was honestly unforgivable.”

“Nothing is unforgivable, amiga. Even Jesus forgives everyone.”

“Jesus was all good. I’m only human.”

“And it’s human to say things you don’t mean. You honestly telling me you haven’t said things you don’t regret?”

Elisa bit her lip, and knew that Patricia was right.

“I guess I have said some things,” she grumbled.”

“I thought so,” Patricia said.

As they pulled in, a guard checked their IDs and passes.

“Senorita Montgomery, they’re expecting you,” he said, waving them through.

As she parked and walked to the backstage area, she was hit with flashbacks.


"I'll make them up to you..." Elisa was singing
"Oh yeaaah," Brian surprisingly joined in, to the shock of the girls.
"But you don't care, you keep sticking around," Nick chimed in, taking Elisa's hand and dancing with her, to the squeals of the fans. Her eyes widened as she danced with him, fighting back tears the entire time.
The three of them finished out the song together, and Nick and Brian applauded Elisa as it ended.
"Oh my god, I totally ruined your song, guys," Elisa was saying, horrified.
"No no no, you were great. It was awesome. You have some pipes, girl," Brian said, hugging her.
Nick smiled at her.
"He's right, you did a great job."
Elisa blushed as they made eye contact for the first time.



“Elisa, I think that woman is calling you,” Patricia said as she pointed. Elisa pulled out of her memories to see Kristin waving at her.

“LEESE!” she cried as she rushed over and hugged her.

“Kristin I’ve missed you!” Elisa said, hugging her back.

“Patricia, this is Kevin’s wife, Kristin.”

“Hey, you’re the one making sure our girl is taken care of?”

“Of course!” Patricia said, shaking Kristin’s hand.

Kristin led them backstage, where Elisa was bombarded.

AJ picked her up and hugged her tight.

“Please come home with us, it’s fucking boring without you,” he said. Brian pushed AJ away to hug her next.

“Don’t listen to him, we’re glad you’re doing what you love,” he said kissing her cheek. Howie gave her a huge smile and a hug, and Kevin held her tight for a long time. He asked how she was, if she was eating, etc.

“I’m fine, Train,” she said, smiling up at the protective older brother. Looking over his shoulder, she saw Nick, who gave her a half-hearted smile.

Elisa walked to him and gave him a hug. He sighed as he hugged her back, both of them feeling that connection still, neither wanting to talk about it.

“Hey,” she said softly.

“Hey,” he said, letting her go but touching her face. “Everything going okay here?”

“Yeah. Rehab?”

“Went fine, I’m clean now. Haven’t had a drink since…you know.”
“Good.”

Elisa looked around to see that the others had given them some time alone. She sighed as she looked back to him.

“Don’t worry, I’m not going to try to kiss you or anything. I’m just really sorry about what I said,” Nick said.

“Me too. But this thing…I can’t fix it right now. I’m still mad, and it’s going to take a hell of a lot more than I’m sorry to make it okay.”

Nick sighed.

“Okay,” he said. Elisa stared at the ground, unable to look at him.

“Have a good show,” Elisa said. She walked out of the room, leaving him to wonder what the hell he had to do to win her back.

_____________________________________________

"They are so good!" Patricia said, watching them from the pit.

"Yeah, they are," Elisa said, trying not to look at Nick. However that was impossible when the opening chords of "Back To Your Heart" started.

Elisa KNEW this wasn't a part of the set list, since Brian had emailed it to her a couple days ago. She sent Nick the deadliest look she could imagine, and she saw AJ AND Kevin sigh, which means they told him this wouldn't work and the bonehead didn't listen.

There was about to be hell to pay.

After the show Elisa stormed up to Nick backstage and pushed him as hard as she could.

“What the FUCK was that? I know damn well that wasn’t in the set list! And I know that the other guys didn’t plan that shit!”

Nick didn’t say anything.

“I told you to give me time, dammit! Why can’t you give me that?”

“I’m sorry."

"Oh, really? I hope this sounds familiar, sorry doesn't mean shit to me! Sorry guys but I’m out of here, I can’t even look at him right now without wanting to punch his face in.”

Elisa stormed out and punched the wall on the outside of the building. She was met with a resounding crack.

“SON OF A BITCH!” she screamed, holding her broken hand that was now throbbing with pain.

Patricia walked out to see Elisa holding her hand.
“Aye, Elisa, let’s get you to the doctor,” she said, exasperated.

_____________________________________________________

Meanwhile the guys were all pissed at Nick.

“I told you not to, man!” AJ exclaimed, not believing the shit that just happened.

“I’m sorry!” Nick said.

“Sorry isn’t going to cut it, man! That was stupid!”

“I fucking know!” Nick said, throwing a glass at the wall. “I fucked up, and I’m probably not going to be able to make it right again."

_________________________________


At the hospital, the doctor bandaged up Elisa’s wrist.

“Hope whatever caused this was worth it. You can’t use that hand for three weeks.” The doctor smiled and walked out.

Patricia shook her head.

“Estas loca, homegirl.”

“No, he’s fucking crazy. Thinking he can win me back with a song. He made it out like I wanted to leave him. I didn’t. I wanted us to be together.”

“So what happened.”

Elisa sighed.

“I called him a drunk. He compared me to my mother. Taboo subject for the two of us,” she explained.

“You two will fix this, I have a feeling and my feelings are never wrong,” Patricia finally said.

“I’m not holding my breath,” Elisa grumbled.
Chapter 27 by emeraldbecca1991
“So my brother would like to take you out,” Patricia said in December. Elisa had barely had time to think about dating, she’d been so busy in the month since the disastrous concert.

“No,” Elisa said. “Your brother is nice, but I’m not into him. And I’m not a fling person.”

“Good, because my brother is exactly that type of person,” Patricia laughed.

“So, let’s talk about Jacinta,” Elisa said. “Apparently her boyfriend is abusive, and she needs a place to stay. She’s pregnant. So, she stays in the shelter for now, right?”

“Yeah. And we make sure the boyfriend doesn’t come in.”

_____________________________________

Two weeks later, everything went to hell.

The day started normally, but when Elisa got to work, she noticed Patricia was chewing her lip.

“I have a feeling, amiga. A very bad feeling, and I don’t like it,” she said.

“What about?”

“I don’t know. Something bad,” Patricia said, worried.

“Well let’s just work and maybe it will go away,” Elisa said, patting her friend on the arm.


Elisa was doing a group session with teenagers when she heard it. It sounded like popping, and then she heard screaming.

That sound was a gun.

“Okay everyone, hide, now. Do NOT follow me,” she said, running out of the room and looking down on the scene below.

She saw people running out of the building, then saw a man with a gun aim and fire at the crowd. At least two went down.

“Oh no,” Elisa said to herself. She ran back to her classroom, and ran to the window and looked at how far up they were. Not too far up from a lower level roof, and it had a ladder leading down to the ground. Opening it, she sent her teenagers out of it.

“What about you?” a girl asked.

“Don’t worry about me, get the hell out now!” Elisa said, hugging the girl tight.

After they were out, she ran downstairs and saw Patricia.

“Tricia!” Elisa called her.

“It’s Jacinta’s ex!” Patricia said, crying as she held the frightened girl.

“Upstairs there’s a roof, with a ladder leading down,” Elisa said to Jacinta. “Go, run, now!”

“JACINTA!” the man yelled, spotting her. Patricia ran toward him, to keep him away from Jacinta.

“RUN!” Elisa said, and Jacinta did. She made sure the girl made it to her classroom before slamming the door shut. "Tricia, let's go!"

Two gunshots rang out behind her and Elisa heard Patricia’s cry ring out.

“No no no please!” she yelled, before a series of gunshots rang out, and silence fell.

Tears streaming down Elisa’s face, ran until she found two dead bodies ahead of her. Thinking fast, she hid under them, and waited.

___________________________

Nick was sleeping when he got a phone call from AJ.

“Hey, man, what’s up?” he said drowsily.

“Shit man you need to turn on the TV, to CNN,” AJ said, sounding upset.

“Why?”

“Don’t make me say it, man, I can’t,” AJ said, his voice cracking.

Feeling really worried, he turned his TV on, and turned it to CNN.

“We’re following the situation as it develops, for those just tuning in, we’re getting news out of Buenos Aires that the Evita Peron Center, a shelter for children and teenagers, has an active shooting. Multiple shots have been fired, and dozens inside are feared dead.”

“No,” Nick said, sinking into his sofa. That was where Elisa was.

“Nick, stay with me man. We don’t know if she’s even there today,” AJ said.

“She’s always there,” Nick whispered, horrified.

Nick watched the TV, feeling his heart shatter in pieces as he did. He regretted everything he’d said to Elisa before she left. He regretted letting her leave the concert without apologizing. He only wished he could take the events of the last eight months back.

“Hey, we’re heading over. You don’t need to be alone,” AJ said, and hung up, leaving Nick to wonder if the love of his life was dead or alive.

____________________________________________

Meanwhile, Elisa hid under two bodies as the gunman went around, holding her breath. She was thankful she had her phone on her. Peering through her closed eyes, she waited for the gunman to leave the hallway. When he did, she called the emergency number.

“I’m calling from inside the center. The gunman is someone’s ex boyfriend. A lot of kids got out but most of the workers are dead, I think I’m the only one left. Please, help me,” she said in a whisper.

“Is there just one gunman?” the dispatcher asked.

“Yes. Please- oh my God-“ she said as she heard a gunshot. Crying out in pain, she realized she’d been hit in the shoulder.

She looked up at the gunman, who had the gun pointed at her head. She saw Nick’s face flash in front of her as she spoke.

“Please, sir, don’t kill me. I can help,” she pleaded.

The man looked at her, in sadness. He lowered the gun for a moment.

“No one can help me. She left me. I can’t live without her,” he said, and, looking around, a tear fell down his cheek as he put the gun to his head and pulled the trigger.

“No!” Elisa wept as he fell to the floor.

A bunch of policemen burst in with their guns drawn. One ran to Elisa and assessed her wound as the others began checking the other bodies for more survivors.

As they brought her out, she was almost swamped with reporters, though the police kept them away. Elisa tried to stop the tears that flowed,but she couldn’t.

“Don’t worry, Miss, we’ll get you patched up at the hospital,” the paramedic said.

“Wait,” Elisa said as she saw Patricia’s mother weeping in the line.

She walked over and hugged her.

“I’m so sorry, we tried to get away but-“

Patricia’s mother screamed in grief.

“No no no no! Not mi hija, Dios no!”

Elisa sobbed as she comforted the elder woman. Diego was ashen faced as he helped his mother up. Looking back at her, he reached for her face.

“Thank you for making her happy,” he said, tears in her eyes.

Patricia’s mother ran to her and hugged her.

“Go home, Elisa. You’ve done all you can here,” she whispered. “Be safe, mija.”

Elisa nodded. All she wanted to do was leave Buenos Aires behind for good.
Chapter 28 by emeraldbecca1991
AJ, Rochelle, and Elisa’s sister Rochelle watched the news, waiting for an update.
“There was a 911 call made a few minutes ago, but they were cut off by a gunshot so we don’t know if that person is even alive. The police rushed in not long after, and I assume they are looking for survivors but I’ve heard hope around here is not high-Wait, there’s…there’s a survivor! I think …yes! She’s injured but she is alive,” the reporter said, the camera zooming in on a woman.
“Mom we haven’t…I know mom, oh my God, Mom, she’s alive! She’s on TV right now, but she’s hurt. Oh God, but she’s alive,” Rochelle said, crying.
AJ looked closely to make sure it was Elisa before breaking down in his wife’s arms.
“She’s okay, she’s okay,” he wept. “I need to tell Nick.”
Going upstairs, he saw Nick lying on the bed, with no expression on his face.
“Elisa’s okay,” AJ said. “She’s hurt, but she was walking out of the place.”
Nick said nothing.
“Yo, Elisa’s fine, what’s the deal?”
“I don’t want to believe it until I can tell for myself.”
_________________________________________

Elisa sat in the hospital bed, looking at her phone. She’d hit ignore on everyone’s call. She didn’t want to talk to anyone.
Her sister, Rochelle, was the first one she answered when she came around to wanting to talk.
“Elisa, we’ve been so worried!” her sister wept as she answered.
“I’m safe,” she said.
“Everyone’s so upset. AJ was crying like a baby when he saw them carrying you out on TV.”
“What?”
“The guys and I kind of went to Nick’s…it’s a long story. AJ said that someone needed to watch him because he was losing his mind. When he wakes up, we’ll tell him you’re okay.”
Meanwhile Rochelle was lying, because they were all in Nick’s room and the phone was on speakerphone.
“Not sure he’ll care, I treated him like crap” Elisa said sarcastically. Nick shook his head as if to say it wasn’t true, but Rochelle shushed him.
“Cut the crap, Leese. You two love each other. So what, he said you acted like our mother and you called him a rotten drunk. At the time, both of you were right.”
“He compared me to our mother, Chelle. That’s unforgivable.”
“Nothing is. You almost died today, Leese. Get some fucking perspective. And for a while, we all thought you were dead and we were beyond hurting. And while we’re on the subject of Mom, she’s been going crazy here, too. I think she’s had a breakthrough.”
“Really?” Elisa said doubtfully. “We’ll see if that changes when I get home. But look, the foundation wants me home, and is paying for my medical bills and all that. I also should probably up my therapy sessions when I get home, too. Think you can do that for me?”
“Yeah, girl…wait, AJ wants to talk to you.”
“Elisa, you okay?” AJ asked urgently.
“I’m..whatever. I’m not okay, I won’t be for a while. The shit I saw today, AJ, I can’t…sorry.”
“That’s understandable. What’s your damage?” AJ asked.
“Bullet to the shoulder, through and through. I’m looking at a three month recovery.”
“It could have been worse,” AJ said seriously.
“Yeah.”
“When you get home, I’ll meet you and get you to your place, okay?”
“Thanks, Jay. And whatever happened with…him..thanks for being there.”
“Anytime. I’ll let him know you’re okay.”

________________________________________________________

Nick waited at the airport with the guys and their families for Rochelle and Elisa to get home.
Elisa’s mother was there with AJ. Nick did not know what was going on there, but he was happy that she was at least there.
Brian sat by Nick.
“You’re not getting your hopes up, are you?” he asked. Nick shook his head.
“No, I fucked this up big time.”
“They’re here!” Bailey said, pointing.
Rochelle came in, holding Elisa’s hand. Elisa had her arm in a sling,and was wearing a hoodie and sunglasses. She gave the group a bleak smile.
Diane, Elisa’s mom, ran up to her and hugged her gently. She was saying something tearfully to her, and Elisa bit her lip and nodded. They hugged again, and Nick could see that Elisa was crying. He kept his eyes on her face the entire time as the others hugged her, and assured themselves that she was in fact okay. Finally, he walked up to her.
“You okay?” he asked, his voice cracking. She nodded, and for once he wished he could look into her eyes.
“I’ll be fine. You?”
“Same. I’m glad you’re safe.”
He touched her face tenderly and walked away. Elisa watched him go, her heart breaking with every step he took.

________________________________________________________

A week later, Diane showed up to Elisa’s house. It was time they had a serious heart to heart. She had annuled her marriage to Derek, and had started therapy of her own, but she needed to get her relationship with her daughter back on track.
“How you doing?” Diane asked as she walked in.
“I’m hurting. Trying to say off the pain meds.”
“Heating pads. Trust me,” Diane said, sitting next to her. “It’s time we actually talked.”
“Okay, Mom,” Elisa said.
“I wanted to apologize. I blamed you for so much that went wrong in my life. I know now that it was wrong of me, and I am so sorry. I blamed you for a terrible act that happened to you. I should have never done that, and I was a shitty mom. You are so much like your father, sweetheart. I was too much for him, which is why he left. You reminded me so much of him. And then, he died, and still you stayed the kind hearted soul. I was determined to have him out of you so I wouldn’t be reminded but nothing I did worked.
“When I thought….when I thought you had died…Elisa I was so hurt and sorry and every other bad feeling in the world. I love you so much, sweetie. And I need to start acting like it,” Diane said, with tears in her eyes.
“I love you, too, Mom, and I’ll help you with whatever you need. I forgive you for everything. Life is too short,” Elisa said, crying as she hugged her mother.
Finally, they were at peace with each other.

_______________________________

Elisa woke up screaming three weeks later. Rochelle, who had temporarily moved in along with Leah, walked in her room, worried.
“I don’t think therapy is working,” Rochelle said, sitting next to her.
“I know it’s not working, but I don’t know what else will besides drugging myself up. And I refuse to do that,” Elisa snapped.
“I know, Elisa. I just think-“
“No. I am not calling him.”
“Oh why not? Back when all the shit with mom went down, he was the one who made you feel better.”
“Shit’s different now, Chelle. I’m not the same woman I was when I met him. I…can’t be that person anymore.”
“No one is asking you to be that person, Elisa. Bad shit has happened to you, but Nick is there. He showed up to make sure you were okay. When I got to his house the day we found out about the shooting, AJ had to keep calming him down. He was scared out of his fucking mind. He kept saying ‘I’m sorry, I’m so sorry,” and he cried like a baby. I had you on speaker phone that day I called so he could hear your voice, he didn’t believe us when we told him you were fine.
“Nick Carter still loves you. So if you can’t sleep, it’s on you. One phone call and I bet he’d be here right now. But you’re too fucking stubborn to do it. I’m going back to bed.”
Rochelle left, leaving Elisa to sit and think.
Memories of their fight kept replaying but stronger memories came forward. Memories of her talking to Nick about her life. Him hugging her when she needed it. The night Leah was raped. The first time he kissed her. The day she decided to be his girlfriend.
Elisa laid down and hugged her pillow, and cried. She cried for the gunman who lost his life, for the kids she saved and the ones she couldn't, for the parents of the kids who couldn’t see them anymore. She cried for her losses, too. The loss of Nick. The loss of her positivity.
Elisa sobbed into the pillow. She wanted nothing more than for Nick to be here, comforting her, but they both cut each other deeply. She didn’t know how to get it back.
Chapter 29 by emeraldbecca1991
She met Frankie J the next day. He hugged her immediately, so happy she was okay.
“I’m fine, physically, except the shoulder. I need to sing, and I was hoping you could help me?” she asked.
“Sure, but why singing?” he asked.
“I can’t dance right now and that’s normally what I do to relieve stress. Singing’s the next best thing,” she explained. He nodded, understanding.
“What song?”
“Story of my life,” Elisa said.
Frankie grinned.
“Take it away.”
He strummed the guitar as she began to sing.


“Lay your head on my shoulder
Everything is gonna be alright
Baby don't you cry
Baby don't you worry 'bout a thing
I see a rainbow at the end
It's gonna be alright
So many problems around me
Dammit won't they just go away
Every night I pray, yeah
Lord won't you come my way
Won't you come and rescue me
Help me see the light

What do you do when your water runs dry
When your greens and your blues turn to black and white
It's the story of my life
When the fires get out, can you turn 'em off
Can you turn 'em off

I've tried so hard to make it
Tried to do the best I could
Tried to do some good,yea
Like the people that I could
Like my family if you would
Trying to live a better life
Fake friends always around me
Trying to be up in my scoop
Acting like they're cool, yea
They don't know that I ain't blind
So stop trying to waste my time
And go on with your bull, yeah

What do you do when your water runs dry
When your greens and your blues turn to black and white
It's the story of my life
When the fires get out, can you turn 'em off
Can you turn 'em off

Cada vez que siento que el mundo se me esta cerrando
Solo pienso en escaparme del mal
Y cada vez que siento que el aire se me esta acabando pienso en volar
Hasta donde nadie me pueda encontrar

What do you do when your water runs dry
When your greens and your blues turn to black and white
It's the story of my life
When the fires get out, can you turn 'em off
Can you turn 'em off”


“Thanks,” she said, wiping tears from her face.
Frankie hugged her.
“I don’t think a song is going to help this hurt,” he said softly. She shook her head.
“Me either.”

__________________________________

Nick saw Elisa in the pool at the gym a few days later, working her shoulder out. He could see the scar from the bullet and his stomach turned.
He opened the door and walked in.
She turned and flinched.
“I’ll be out in a-“
“Nah, don’t worry. Just going to swim a few laps, then I’ll be out of your way,” he said, jumping in.
Elisa sighed and went back to doing a backstroke, wincing every now and then.
When Nick surfaced, he saw her, with her back to him, resting her arms on the edge of the pool while the rest of her body stayed submerged. He watched her and was shocked to hear her crying.
“Fucking damn it!” she screamed, punching the water.
“Elisa?”
Elisa turned to him, tears streaming down her face.
“I want my fucking life back!” she shouted. “My shoulder is killing me, I haven’t slept well in weeks, and every time I hear something that even sounds like a gun, I want to run and hide! I hate this shit!”
Nick swam to her, and felt her shoulder. She pulled away.
“Stop, before you fuck it up even worse,” he snapped at her, feeling the wound. It was swollen a little.
“You need to quit overworking it,” he said seriously. “It’s swollen, and if you do too much, you’ll make it worse.”
“You’re a doctor now?” she asked sarcastically.
“No, just someone who’s had enough injuries to know what the fuck he’s talking about,” Nick said hotly.
Elisa sighed.
“Sorry,” she finally said. “I’m just…exhausted.”
Nick calmed down some.
“Want to talk about it?”
Elisa laughed.
“I guess I just did, in my little outburst.”
Nick laughed, too.
“I’m really sorry you had to go through that,” he finally said.
Elisa nodded.
“Me, too,” she said. Sighing she pushed herself out of the pool. “See you later.”

Elisa drove home, replaying the conversation her and Nick had in the pool.
She couldn’t stay in that pool one more minute with him without putting her hands on him. She wasn’t expecting that at all. She wasn’t expecting the desire for him to still be there.
She pulled in her driveway and walked in. Rochelle was out and Leah was with Diane. Elisa kicked her shoes off and walked to her bedroom. She realized she needed to wash clothes when she saw that the only thing she had to sleep in was the oversized T-Shirt Nick had given her months ago. Shrugging, she put it on and climbed into bed, wincing when her shoulder protested.
Her phone dinged. She checked and saw she had a text message. It was from Nick.

Did you get home okay?

Yeah, I did. Thanks for earlier.

Anytime. I mean that. We may not be together but if you need to talk, I’ll listen.

I’ll keep that in mind. Goodnight

Goodnight, hope you sleep well.

Elisa smiled a little as she drifted off to sleep.



She woke up, refreshed and rested the next morning. She didn’t have any nightmares, and she struggled to remember what had happened the night before. She looked at her phone and realized it was Nick. Nick was the reason she had slept so well.
Picking up her phone, she texted him.


Thank you. So much.

For?

I don’t know. All I know is I didn’t have a single nightmare last night, best sleep I’ve had in weeks

That’s good, Leese. Glad I could help


______________________________________________________

Nick felt hope stirring in his chest when she had texted him. Picking up his keys, he headed over to her house.
When he got there, he stayed in his car a while, and then swallowed his pride and walked to her door. He knocked and waited.
When Elisa answered the door, he was speechless.
She was in the T-shirt he’d given her, with her belt around her waist.
“Shit, sorry, I’ll come back-“
“No, come on in.”
Nick walked in and was happy to see not much had changed in her house.
“I’m sorry, I have to wash clothes and this was the only clean thing I have,” she explained, sitting on the couch and picking up her journal.
“I wanted to talk things out with you,” he explained. “I should have never compared you to your mom. You were right about me being a drunk, though. I don’t know why I even started drinking again.”
He leaned against the wall with his hands in his pockets, waiting for her to speak.
“I still shouldn’t have said it. We both said things we probably shouldn’t have,” she finally said. “You were angry, I was angry.”
“So what now?” Nick asked her.
“I don’t know, Nick.”
“Do you still love me?” he asked. Elisa’s eyes widened.
“Nick, I-“
“You don’t have to answer. We can do this the way we’ve always done things. We’ll take it slow. But Elisa, you belong in my life, I have no doubts about that. When I thought you were- well, I lost it. I felt my entire world crumbling around me, and the last thing I had said to you was to get the hell out of my house.”
Elisa wiped away a couple tears.
“I don’t know what I want, Nick. I’m still dealing with what happened in Argentina. You guys don’t know half the shit I saw. I hope you never have to see the stuff that happened to me."
“Then let me help you. Please, Elisa, it kills me to see you like this,” Nick said, sitting by her.
“It’s not that simple. I tried to help him, I did. When he pulled the gun on me, the last thing I saw was your face. I begged him not to kill me. I told him I could help him. And then he…he shot himself. I saw him die. I saw them all die. And there wasn’t a damn thing I could do about it. All I see when I close my eyes is him shooting everyone,” Elisa said, breaking down and putting her face in her hands. “I feel like I could have done more.”
Nick rubbed her back as she cried, processing what she’d just told him. She was actually that close to being gone. He was thankful for whatever changed the gunman’s mind, but he wished he could take all of the bad memories away from this girl. She’d dealt with enough in her 29 years, that most people never had to deal with.
“I think that there wasn’t anything you could have done, Leese. I’m sure you’re tired of hearing it, but I don’t know what else to say except that I’m so sorry you had to go through that,” he finally said.
Elisa looked up, her eyes red and puffy.
“I need time, Nick. Please. Just give me time to sort this all out.”
Nick nodded.
“You got it. For real this time. And please, call me if you need someone. I would be here as soon as I can to help you.”
Elisa smiled softly.
“I know.”
Nick squeezed her hand as he got up to leave.
“Nick,” she said, standing up.
He turned around.
She walked to him and hugged him. Sighing, he wrapped his arms around her, welcoming the warming feelings that came whenever she was in his arms.
“Thank you,” she whispered as she stepped away.
“Anytime.”
Chapter 30 by emeraldbecca1991
A month later, Nick and Elisa were friends, at least. They’d gotten all of their issues out on the table, and now were actually enjoying each other’s company again.

“I still don’t understand why you chicks won’t tell me where we’re going,” Elisa grumbled.

Leighanne laughed. They had a wonderful night planned for Elisa.

“It’s a surprise,” she said.

They pulled up to the same club that the girls had put on their impromptu concert. Elisa narrowed her eyes.

“I’m still not in the best place to be shaking my groove thing,” she said, annoyed.
Both Rochelles were in the car, and her sister scoffed.

“Sure, and you weren’t dancing to ‘Miss America’ the other day. We’ll just pretend that didn’t happen,” she said in disdain.

“’Miss America’, huh? AJ has said some interesting things about that song,” the other Rochelle said.

Elisa’s eyes widened.

“You shut your mouth, madam!” she exclaimed in embarrassment.

“Whoa, I was kidding. Now I’m not sure I want to know.”

“Come on chickadees, out of the car. Frankie is waiting,” Kristin said.

As the girls walked in, Frankie rushed up to Elisa and hugged her tightly.

“I am so happy you’re alright. Shoulder healing up okay?”

“Yeah. It’s good. Happy to see you, Frankie,” she said, smiling at him.

“Okay, so they’re almost ready, give them a few minutes. Bar’s open,” Frankie said to the other girls.

____________________________________

Nick was nervous. This was going to be the night where he put it all out there. And, even though they ribbed him good about it, the guys were happy to help him out with this. They wanted Elisa and Nick back together, and were willing to do anything to make that happen.

“AJ, you have it?”

“It’s right here, new chain and all,” AJ said, holding the necklace that thad been Elisa’s Christmas gift the previous year.

“Well, can I have it?”

“Really Nick? I don’t think it’s your style,” AJ said, teasing him.

“Come on man,” Nick replied, grabbing it.

“I’m proud of you, man,” AJ said, hugging Nick tight.

“When you and AJ are done making out, we’ll be ready to go,” Kevin said, amused.

Gulping, Nick nodded.

“Let’s go get my girl, fellas,” he said, taking a deep breath.

_________________________________________

AJ walked out on stage and took a mike.

“Ladies, ladies, ladies. Thank you for this very special and obviously exclusive event.

“We’re going to give you ladies a private show. I hope that you enjoy it.” He said, winking at all of them.

“Seriously, guys?” Elisa asked.

“Oh don’t be like that, the last Backstreet Boys concert you went to was the day in Argentina. So relax and enjoy it,” Sister Rochelle said.

Elisa rolled her eyes, but she was a little excited. She loved these boys and their performances.

They performed “As Long As You Love Me” first, and Elisa loved it. The girls got up and began dancing, and, finally, Elisa was persuaded to as well.

The next song was “Trust Me”, from the In A World Like This CD.

After a few more songs, Nick took the mike.

“I know this is supposed to be a fun night, but there’s some serious stuff I want to say. Elisa, I’m so glad we’re back on good terms. Really. I messed up huge, and I wasn’t expecting things to be this good again. I wanted to sing these next couple of songs for you, if that’s okay?” he asked her.

Elisa nodded, and Brian handed him his guitar. Nick smiled at her. He began to sing a song she hadn’t heard until tonight, called “Don’t Walk Away”.


“There's no winners and there's no losin'
All we got is what we are one mistake and I got you breakin'
This time I think I've gone too far, baby
Tell me why we don't speak open your heart to me, love me tonight
Don't walk away, baby, you gotta hear me say, I'm sorry
You know I'm not afraid to say that it's me
Don't walk away, I'm sorry, I'm sorry
Why's it hard to, get inside you
Is it too late to make a start? You know I need you
Because I breathe you and with every breath I fall apart
Baby, tell me what's left of me
lf you’re not right next to me baby, I'd die
Don't walk away, baby, you gotta hear me say, I'm sorry
You know I'm not afraid to say that it's me
Don't walk away, I'm sorry
There's no reason to cry, when you're drowning yourself
In your tears tonight, part of me dies
And you know it's not right, yeah and you know it's not right
Don't walk away, baby, you gotta hear me say, I'm sorry
You know I'm not afraid to say that and stay
Don't walk away, baby, you gotta hear me say, I'm sorry
You know I'm not afraid to say that it's me
Don't walk away, I'm sorry, I'm sorry”



Elisa wiped a few tears away as did the other girls.

Sister Rochelle leaned over and said “Girl if you do not marry him I will.”

“Get your own,” Elisa whispered as Nick sat in front of her.

“Last song. I think you know this one.”

Nodding to Frankie, the music to “Just One Kiss” began.


“Just one, just one
Just one, just one
Don't turn away, don't close the door
I couldn't take it
We've got find out for sure
Before there's no turning back
If this is a start of the end of the road
I've gotta ask before you go
If I could have just one kiss
If that's all it is, I know that it's over
If I could have just one kiss
If there's something more, we could start over
If I could have just on kiss
Just one
If I could have just one kiss
Just one
I've been a fool just standing by
Watching it comes to this
But now I'm here to stand and fight
For all the promises
If this is a start of the end of the road
I wouldn't back, I'd let you go
If I could have just one kiss
If that's all it is, I know that it's over
If I could have just one kiss
If there's something more, we could start over
If I could have just one kiss
Just one
If I could have just one kiss
Just one
We don't have to find a way forward
We just have to find what we missed
So what if we look like we're crazy
For hanging it all on this
Don't turn away, don't close the door
If I could have just one kiss
If that's all it is, I know that it's over
If I could have just one kiss
If there's something more, we could start over
If I could have just one kiss
Just one
If I could have just one kiss”




Nick sat in front of her and waited.

Elisa smiled, and took his hand.

“Kiss me, you adorable dork,” she said.

Nick grinned, and pulled her in for a crushing kiss, to the cheers of everyone around them.

“You and me forever?” he asked as he put her necklace back around her neck.

“There’s no keeping me away,” Elisa said, kissing him tenderly.

__________________________________________________________

Nick carried Elisa into his house and up to his room.

“I’ve missed you so much,” he murmured against her lips, unbuttoning her blouse as she pulled off his shirt.

“Me too,” she whispered as he placed kisses on her neck.

He looked at her bullet wound and kissed it softly.

“I wish I could take that away, baby girl,” he said sadly.

“Don’t. It’s just another part of my story,” she said. “I have to get past it, and doing that means I have to accept it. Now less talking, more kissing,” Elisa said, pulling his lips to hers.

Nick laughed and kissed her lips.

“I love you so much,” he whispered as he pulled her skirt and panties off.

“I love you, too. With all of my heart,” Elisa whispered. “Now show me.”

And Nick did
Epilogue by emeraldbecca1991
Author's Notes:
last chapter! this doesn't have the 50k I used to win NaNoWriMo, but that's because a lot of stuff I cut out. I hope you've enjoyed reading this as much as I've enjoyed writing it.
Elisa sat backstage with the girls as the guys did a Christmas show.

She could not believe how much her life had changed in two years. It was coming up on the two year mark where Nick had told her he loved her. Sure, they had been through a lot. A hell of a lot. The six months they had broken up were the worst of her life. But when they got back together, things fell back into place.

As they finished a song, AJ took the mike.

“Thank you all so much! I love being here, and I’m happy to share something special with you all. Two years ago, we met an amazing woman, who has changed all of us in some way. We’re so happy to have her here with us, and we wanted to show her our appreciation. She has become one of my best friends. You may recognize her, so Elisa, come on out, darlin,” he said, gesturing to her.

Elisa, confused, walked out and took AJ’s hand. He led her to a chair with a white rose on it, and he handed her the rose.

She noticed Nick was missing, and gave AJ a look. He winked at her as he nodded to the guys. The opening notes of “Yes I Will” began.

Brian winked at her as he sang, handing her a rose.


I open my eyes I see your face
I cannot hide I can't erase
The way you make me feel inside
You complete me girl, that's why
Something about you makes me feel
Baby my heart wants to reveal
I'm down on my knees, I'm asking you
Say these three words I wanna hear from you


Yes I will, take your hand and walk with you
Yes I will, say these three words I promise to
Yes I will, give you everything you need
And someday start a family with you
Yes I will, take your hand and walk with you
Yes I will, baby I promise to
Yes I will, give you everything you need
And someday start a family with you

Oh yes I will

This is no ordinary love
And I can never have enough
Of all the things you've given to me
My heart , my soul , my everything
Every night I thank you lord (I thank you lord)
For giving me the strength to love her more
And more each day I promise her
As long as I hear those three words


Yes I will, take your hand and walk with you
Yes I will, say these three words I promise to
Yes I will, give you everything you need
And someday start a family with you
Yes I will, take your hand and walk with you
Yes I will, baby I promise to
Yes I will, give you everything you need
And someday start a family with you


The crowd went wild as AJ started his bridge.

I stand beside you, in everything you do
Wherever you go, whatever you do
Baby I'll be there (oh baby I will be there)


She felt a tap on her shoulder, and all of a sudden, Nick was on his knees in front of her, singing to her with a huge smile on his face.


As God as my witness
I will carry this through
Till death do us part, I promise to you


He pulled out a box as the crowd went nuts, and Elisa put her hands over her mouth. He opened it, and she saw a beautiful ring with a piece of paper that said “Marry me?” on it.

Elisa was speechless as the song ended. Nick and Elisa stared into each others eyes as the crowd shouted “Tell him yes!” and even AJ and Brian joined in.

Finally, she nodded, and he beamed. Putting the ring on her finger, he lifted her off her feet as he spun her around, kissing her to the screams of the fans.

“Are you sure you’re ready?” he whispered, with her still in his arms.

Elisa nodded.

“I’m ready for anything, as long as I have you.”
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11199