We Burn The Sky by Rose
Summary:

Like angels on fire, we burn the sky…
Across the universe I’ll be by your side…

When the world you knew no longer exists, you soon learn you’ll do anything to see another day.
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group, Kevin, Nick
Genres: Alternate Universe, Drama, Science Fiction
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 12894 Read: 11360 Published: 02/05/14 Updated: 03/21/14
Story Notes:
While this is definitely inspired by the show "Firefly", it is not a crossover nor does it exist in that universe at all. But I'm sure you'll see the influences as the story goes on. ;) And if you haven't seen the show, you should, and the movie that followed called "Serenity". They're awesome.

1. Introduction by Rose

2. Chapter One by Rose

3. Chapter Two by Rose

4. Chapter Three by Rose

5. Chapter Four by Rose

6. Chapter Five by Rose

Introduction by Rose
Introduction

Even though it’s been almost fifteen years, I remember the day it all began so clearly. I’ll probably remember it for the rest of my life. There’s a few other memories I have that are imprinted in my brain like that. None of them are happy, really. I’ve lost a lot in only thirty years. I’m still really young in the grand scheme of things. But in the end I guess that’s not really important.

It started on April 20th, 2993.

I was only fifteen years old that day. A typical human teen you know? Young, stupid, heh and let’s not forget stubborn as the cosmos. But that day, when Kevin arrived at the station, well, things were different. He looked panicked in ways I’d never seen him, yelling at me to pack my shit in a bag while he ran and grabbed his cousin Brian. Maybe it was his eyes, or his voice, I don’t know. But either way—it made me listen for once.

Could be why we managed to escape the base before the Lyciandans blew it up. They’d done the same thing to Earth mere hours before. Even if the news hadn’t hit the rest of our troop’s Skybirds yet. It was the only other place I’d ever known. Both my homes being destroyed in one day? No wonder I remember it so well. I could tell you everything. Explain about the war. About the now twisted and almost laughable alliance between our race and theirs that’s sprung up in the last decade…

But instead I’ll leave you with this.

I’m human, a race that no longer has a true home beyond the human colonies that have existed throughout the galaxies for the last century or so. Humans have always been a race lusting after power. It’s all over our history. Combining that with the species that once tried to annihilate us all has only made that worse. A police state has spread throughout the planets, under their united flags of their union known only as the “Dominion”. There is no freedom and the Sultanates, soldiers set to keep the “rogue elements” in line, try to make sure of that. There was always a struggle to get by. There were the elite and then there was the rest of humanity. The best way to live was to do anything. Legal, illegal, you name it. You couldn’t care anymore.

There was never mercy.

There was no compassion.

There was only survival.
Chapter One by Rose
Chapter One

The day had started out like any other really.

As Kevin always put it – there was the goal, accomplishing it, and getting paid. These days not much mattered to anyone. Over the years the entire crew of the Firefly learned to keep their eyes on the prize. If you thought of anything more than that, you more than not ended up deeply disappointed. For Nick personally, he sometimes had hopes that his life would mean more. But life had long ago taught him not to put much, if anything, into those hopes. It was easier to think of nothing but what their jobs involved.

“Hey Carter, hurry it up.” AJ smirked at him from beneath his airtight helmet. “Unless you plan on crashing here till everyone wakes up.”

This one was a smaller job, commandeer a ship long enough to get a plain chest that was supposed to be holding something that’ll sell well on the Black Market. At least that’s what the guy who hired them said. Nick didn’t care much about what they took. As long as they didn’t have to kill anyone they didn’t have to. So once they were able to get on board when the shuttle stopped off for fuel, they put a tracker on for the Firefly to follow. After that it was pretty simple to take over, knock out any innocents involved. There was only one Sultanate on board and it was hard not to take joy in killing any of them.

“I’m looking, I’m looking.” He grumbled good-naturedly as he sifted through the storage units.

“How’s it coming along Little Man?” Kevin’s voiced asked in his ear. Nick chuckled softly, adjusting the communication piece he wore on the side of his suit. He’d known the man, their captain, for as long as he could remember. Truth be told, he was rather protective of Nick despite the fact he was nothing close to a little kid anymore.

“Just fine oh impatient leader.”

“Good. Let’s get out of here before someone hears that distress signal.”

AJ frowned. “I thought I got them before they sent one off.”

Brian, their pilot, cut in. “I’m getting it on my transmitter…and shit, I’ve got two ships coming in from the southeast. We’re gonna have to leave. Don’t keep playing around.”

“But we haven’t found the-”

“I don’t care Nick. I’d rather have you two alive than that dammed chest.” Their captain said firmly. There was no room to argue.

A grumbled curse came from AJ. Nick couldn’t tell what language it was in though. While almost universally most beings knew English by this time, Japanese and Lycian were the second two. A lot got lost after the world had been destroyed, like Spanish, French and such the way Latin had gone centuries before. He had a feeling his friend knew more but that was because before AJ had come to join their crew a few years prior, he’d traveled throughout the galaxy. Nothing more than a drifter with no thoughts of a home. At first Nick had thought he’d steal what he could and kill everyone aboard. Easy to think given his past and rough looks, a man covered with various tattoos, sharp brown eyes, and stocky frame despite his shorter stature. But Kevin, he’d had seen something else. As always, he’d been right.

He sighed and motioned to Nick. “Let’s blow then before shit gets worse.”

Following the other man up to the upper levels and leaving the cargo hold behind, Nick mused again on his life. How much things changed. He wasn’t sure if he believed in God, any god at all. But if one existed could his parents see him now? What would they think, he wondered. His parents had faded far in his memory. There was one picture he managed to hang on to and that was the only way he could picture them. It was understandable of course; he’d been only a child of six when he’d lost them. Kevin’s parents, Ann and Jerald, had been close friends and had taken him in immediately. Kevin having been the closest in age with him (and even then there was a gap of almost nine years), took him under his wing like a little brother. At times Nick used to feel like he was cursed. Mainly because years later his second set of parents followed the Carters into the afterlife. The Richardsons had been killed during an invasion raid while Kevin had taken Nick on an outing during his leave. The three brothers had debated about Nick but Kevin stood firm against both Tim and Jerald Jr. and at twenty years old took care of the preteen himself. Less than a year later had he transferred to the base out by Ios, Nick moving with him like the other soldiers’ families.

And there he’d lived for about three years before the end of the war came, and his life changed yet again.

Sometimes he wondered what happened to Jerald and Tim, who fought in the war same as Kevin. But he never asked Kevin if he knew, he hated talking about the past now. And to be honest, Nick couldn’t quite blame him. Blowing some stray blonde strands of hair out of his eyes, he glanced out a window before picking up the pace a bit. Space was stunningly beautiful if you were ever able to stop and appreciate it. Unfortunately for him, that wasn’t often. He walked up the ramp and through the doors, happy to soon be back aboard the Firefly. Traveling around with no place to settle wasn’t the ideal way, but it was better than most who tried to live. So he was grateful. The ship was an older one though it had many hidden storage holes for smuggled goods that came in handy time and again. It was study and got them where they needed to go, able to survive everything they’d put it though.

It seemed like it should’ve fallen apart a long time ago, considering.

As AJ headed towards the galley for what he said was “damn needed comfort food after that hakuchi mission…” Nick opted to stay in the main hold and strip off his suit. He hated these things. It wasn’t comforting knowing that this and strong glass were what kept him from dying outside the ship. Shimming it off and setting it aside on a large crate, he strolled down in his regular clothes towards the cockpit.

Brian turned his head with a grin, expertly navigating them well away from the stalled carrier before the authorities realized just what Whedon Class ship it was. While they’d never been officially arrested, there’d been some run-ins and anyone working for the Dominion wasn’t fond of the Firefly’s crew. “So that went badly.”

Nick snorted, leaning against the back of the chair. “It was well hidden and we didn’t get enough time. Badly, fucked up, a waste…all words I’d use.”

“Don’t worry about it.” The pilot said lightly. With pale strawberry blonde hair and bright blue eyes, Brian had always been the biggest optimist of the group. He had a tendency to joke around and make light in situations most wouldn’t. In a few ways, he was the complete opposite of his cousin. He’d been training in the space ops to be a Skybird when the war had come to a sudden, bloody, end. But he said he’d learned more working like this than he ever did there. Like Kevin, he didn’t like to talk about the family he’d likely lost. “Can’t change it now.”

“Still, Lou’s going to be pissed.”

“Leave the worrying about Lou to me.” Kevin interrupted gruffly before Brian could reply. He sat down in his seat next beside him. When word first came of the alliance and soon to be known Dominion, he’d felt the biggest betrayal of the group. So much sacrifice and for what? To team up with those who destroyed everything? That was when the man had changed, became more jaded in life. He’d used what money he’d managed to stow away into buying the Firefly and once again told Nick they needed to pack up and leave. Because of this they were never official citizens, though the Sultanate clearly knew of them. He’d felt this way would be better and slowly called up those he’d known to see if they wanted to join, Brian and Howie had been the ones to answer.

“You know I’m right.” He said simply.

“Eh, it’ll give Howie more to do.” Brian joked with a smirk. Howie had been a medic in the war and a long time friend of Brian’s. Now he used what he learned to help take care of them anytime a dealing happened to get a little too rough. “Any coordinates in mind Kev?”

“Set a course towards Halcyon.”

A brow rose as his eyes met Kevin’s. Sometimes those green eyes seemed to look right through a man. “Really?”

He nodded. “We’ll see if we can’t sell what we’ve managed to pilfer and take on some passengers. There’s been more Dominion ships than normal lately. It’s time to cool it down.”

Every once in awhile they had to lay low. Things started getting a little tense so it was better not to attract any attention. When this happened, Kevin had come up with a contingency plan to keep the money going. There were many people who wished to get to the Outer Rim planets, or just to travel in general. Most weren’t terribly picky about their transport if they were desperate enough. So they charged what they could and took some on board. Sometimes a job would come along during the shuttle rides and they’d disguise it as a refueling. It was easy enough. People believed what they wanted to believe when it really came down to it.

“Yeah, but Halcyon?”

Kevin shrugged nonchalantly, running a hand tiredly through his raven colored hair. “Sure. I’ll just avoid certain people who aren’t too fond of me.”

“There’s a lot of people who aren’t fond of you cous.”

“That’s what makes it a fun challenge.”

“Oh yeah, playing who dodges bullets the best is the best game ever.” Brian retorted cheekily.

Nick laughed, rolling his eyes. “Alright, so who’s doing the recruiting? Since we know AJ will be stocking up on whatever porn he can get his hands on.”

“Don’t look at me, I did it last time.” Brian replied with a chuckle. “That crazy blonde kept trying to control me till we finally dropped her off at Nuada.”

“What was her name? Leigh-something.” Nick mused. “Either way that shit was funny.”

“It’s your turn to bring people in. Howie’s going to be with me in the market stocking up on what he needs, I am too. And we all know AJ’s not what we’d call a people person.” Kevin smiled, glancing at Brian. “Brian can help you though.”

“Hey!”

Kevin gave him the look Nick always dubbed as the dirty brow, where his thick eyebrows furrowed together to look more like a caterpillar and his eyes narrowed. Most had a hard time trying to say no to it. “You have a better plan?”

“No.” He pouted playfully as Nick snickered. “I hope you get your own stalker this time.”

“Not likely.”

Brian started typing in the coordinates so that they could plot out their course. He loved flying and it always seemed to show in his expression somehow no matter what the discussion. “How long you think we’ll be staying?”

“Only a day. I don’t want to linger. Besides, after I tell Lou what happened he’ll be bound to look for us.”

“Like his fat ass can catch us.” Nick muttered. Pearlman had some influence in the underground but not enough to hurt Kevin’s reputation for getting things done. If he did, then they’d be handling the situation a little more carefully. It was lucky on their end.

“Doesn’t matter. He’ll get over it, he knows how it is, and I’m just not in the mood to listen to him whine.”

Neither was he. Whenever Kevin met with these people, he brought Nick and AJ along. AJ served rightly as a great show of muscle. He on the other hand was more for support. To help with whatever came and his boyish good looks helped many underestimate him. “Good point.”

“Go get Howie. That way he’ll know what’s going on.”

“What am I, your butler?” Nick teased with a knowing grin.

“You should know the answer by now.”

“I do, its yes.” He ran out, dodging whatever light object Kevin had tossed at him. Laughing to himself he headed down one of the corridors to the medical unit was.

Howie was someone who often kept to himself but was fun to be around as well. He was probably the most religious out of the lot of them, having come from a large catholic Puerto Rican family. He’d gone into medicine because in his words he wished to “help mankind”, and had joined the war effort for the same reasons. He’d felt he could use his expertise there too. When he’d managed to survive, having seen Kevin race to get off the base, he’d followed suit. The friends had parted ways but when the cousins had managed to track them down after buying Firefly, he’d willingly decided to go on board. Mainly because “otherwise you guys won’t be able to survive the holes you’ll dig yourselves into.” Nick felt it was more because he was sick of being treated like nothing more than a peasant despite his expertise and knowledge.

He peeked his head into the medical room. “Hey D, you here?”

Howie could be seen turning away from his tools, cleaning off a few. “You just missed AJ. Apparently that man he took down took a piece with him. Had to stitch him up.” He sighed dramatically. “Would’ve been less messy if he hadn’t stopped for food first.”

“Damn I didn’t know he got hurt.” Though he wasn’t surprised.

“Don’t tell me you did too.”

The blonde shook his head. “Nope. Just here to let you know Kevin wants to update you on what’s coming next.”

“Really? Hmm, we must be having a stay over somewhere then.” He shrugged.

“We’re trying to stay low for a bit. He says there’s been too many eyes around lately.”

“I’ll head up then. Can’t keep the Captain waiting.” Winking, he headed off.

Shaking his head in amusement Nick decided he’d crash in his room. The ship was large enough that there were plenty of rooms for the crew and the handful of passengers they wanted to take on. His was towards the upper level, where he could get a better view of the stars as they flew on by. He felt like that’s what his life was doing. Each day bringing him a new adventure but in a way the same monotony as before. He wasn’t sure what he could do to change that. Or if he would even want to. In the few moments they had some quiet time he’d stare up at the sky as their ship burned through it, drawing whatever came to his mind. Often he’d find himself with ideas or little melodies popping up in his head. In another life he probably would’ve pursued a more artistic route. He shook away those thoughts of what could have been. The best he could do was tackle one day at a time. Because it could be worse.

It could always be worse.
Chapter Two by Rose
Chapter Two

The twin suns were high in the sky as Cybelle made her way into the busy marketplace. The city of Anu was a large one, the capital of Halcyon which made things easier for her. There were lots of people there and plenty of ways to blend in and become unnoticed. Most people came to this planet seeking anonymity in any event. It was appealing in many ways. While part of the Dominion it was near the borders towards the Outer Rim planets. This meant it was often overlooked due to its undesirable location and lack of any real strife. It was a sanctuary for criminals and those looking to evade the taxes that caused so much starvation.

The past month she’d been living there and it was like nothing she’d experienced herself growing up. Having never lived on Earth once since she was born, she didn’t mourn its demise like so many other humans her age. She’d grown up on one of the colonies and things were decidedly different there in almost every aspect. Not just from stories she’s since heard about the planet, but even from worlds outside the human colonies. Carrying her basket she hurried down the path. For some reason she didn’t feel as at ease as she typically did. Like more eyes were there than the few, lazier, Sultanate that resided there normally.

Cybelle was a pretty young woman of twenty-five with bright blue eyes and light curly brown hair, streaked with blonde due to the almost ever constant sunshine on Halcyon. Adjusting the band of small white flowers that kept it tied back in a ponytail with one hand, she glanced around. Seemed like it wasn’t just her who seemed to be rushing a little more than normal. Many people had a slightly harried expression on their faces and it made her feel more self conscious. She slipped on a pair of sunglasses, just because, and kept along towards the store she had in mind.

“Hey Cybelle, where you hurrying off to?” A gruff voice called though it was easygoing in nature.

She turned and smiled softly. “Hello Zane, I didn’t see you there.”

He leaned against an empty stand and gave a sideways grin. His green eyes were alight with a teasing spark as he ran a hand through his messy dark brown hair. “You wouldn’t have, you seemed to be in a one-track mind today.”

Zane was the first and only friend she had on this planet. In her first week some men had been giving her a hard time when she’d made the mistake of walking alone too late in the evening, and Zane had stepped in and protected her. The two had a comfortable companionship since then though if she was truthful, they never revealed anything too deep with one another. Personally, she was okay with that. Some things were better left unsaid. Still, she enjoyed having him around. It was too easy to feel lonely around these parts.

She brushed the dirt off her dress. Halcyon was a desert world, with only one major ocean to speak of. Thankfully it was fresh water rather than salt. “Am I? I don’t mean to be.”

“Don’t worry about it. A lot of people are today.” He took the basket from her and set it down after she moved beside him. Zane nodded at the others. “I’m thinking of ditching this place soon.”

Cybelle frowned, gazing up at him. He was by far taller, but he still had a way of making her own 5’4” frame feel smaller than it actually was. “Why?”

“I think the Dominion finally remembered this place exists.” He replied, scratching at the light scruff on his cheek.

Following his gaze she gave a sad sigh. She’d gotten well, relaxed here. Not with her house or the less comfortable lifestyle but with knowing how things would go. The monotony had a way of easing her fears and making her feel as safe as she possibly could. Which wasn’t exactly much but it’d been something. Even if Zane was staying, knowing this meant she needed to start making new plans of her own.

“What’s the matter?” He asked, his brow furrowing. “Gonna miss me? I wouldn’t be surprised, I am quite handsome.”

She laughed but shook her head. “No, I just think I might agree with you. If they’re here…things will, change.” It wasn’t a lie.

“Any idea where you’re gonna go?”

“Not really. I’m not the biggest expert on worlds like this that are, you know…”

“Away from the strong arm of the Dominion?” Zane smirked. “I got ya. Look…if you want, you can come with me. I’m thinking Gwydion myself.”

Her nose scrunched up cutely as she tried to recall that one. If only she’d spent more time paying attention to Astronomy lessons. But how was she to know she’d come to need them so much the way she did now? She supposed it was karma, if you bought into the old Buddhism ways. She was never quite sure she did like so many she knew growing up. “Why there?”

He shrugged. “The Black Market’s pretty good there so that’ll help me till I can set up my shop. No major gangs there, just people like us who don’t want a damn thing to do with the colonies or the Lyciandans.”

She shifted a little, having never revealed her former home. Cybelle sneezed as a light wind blew up more dirt and dust. “It’s not like here is it?”

“A desert? Nah, it’s more like Brazil back when Earth was still around, wildlife, jungles and shit.”

She could tell Zane liked that idea. It probably meant more ships and speeders would break down, thus giving him a lot more business. He had a place there on Halcyon where he worked as the owner and major mechanic though he did have two others who worked there for him. He’d told her once it was the most honest way he knew how to make money these days. Cybelle on the other hand slowly learned how to use her sowing skills to trade lovely scarves at the marketplace for more material, gold, and supplies. Her mother had taught her that sort of thing since she’d believed every girl needed a hobby. Cybelle was quite bright but that hadn’t meant as much then.

“That sounds better.”

“I bet. It’s a lot prettier than this dump for girls like you.”

“Girls like me?” She asked impishly.

“Delicate.” He chuckled. “C’mon, let’s go buy what you gotta get. If we stay idle too long they’ll start coming over to ask shit.”

He wasn’t wrong. “You know a lot about dealing with the Sultanate.”

Zane smiled but his eyes went cold. “Too much if you ask me. Knew I should’ve just gone all the way to the Outer Rim.”

“What stopped you?” She asked as the two started walking again to one of her regular trading spots.

“Probably same thing that stopped most people. Knowing the enemy is better than dealing with one you don’t know. At least till shit starts getting crowded.”

“That makes sense.” She walked up to the stand and started examining the various foods the seller had. If you weren’t careful you’d end up buying something rotten or contaminated by a bad farmer. You couldn’t trust anyone completely. Zane was pretty accurate in that. She’d chosen Halcyon for the fact she knew how the Dominion worked even in the sketchier parts somewhat. It was those outside its law that was the true and complete unknown. “But now things are getting messier.”

“Exactly. And it’s not safe for you to try traveling alone.” A beat. “A lot of ships stop by here. Some are even willing to take people on for the right price. I think you’d be better off if we left together. Tonight if we can.” Zane glanced around. It never took long for Sultanate to come in packs. They were like cockroaches that way.

She mulled it over as she found the fruit satisfactory and started putting some in her basket. “Let me think about it. We can look and see…and I’ll tell you when I know. I’m just, well, it’s so sudden.”

“I know, but I ain’t staying around long.” Some weren’t too fond of him. A few knew him from before the war and they remembered how he left like a bat out of hell before the battles even started. “Like to get out while the getting’s still pretty good.”

Cybelle handed the man a few gold coins and tucked her money satchel back in her pocket and continued on. “I know, and I really appreciate that you’d want me to come along. It means a lot to me.”

“Someone like you can get into a lot of trouble going alone.”

Instead of telling him she’d done it before and managed to get by, she changed the subject. “What kind of travelers take on people around here?”

Zane smiled, watching as she bartered with the merchant. “Usually people who need extra cash and have the room. As long as you’re not picky or expecting something like the Interplanetary Shuttle System you won’t be too surprised. It’s not posh, but it’s not the slums.”

Taking her things and putting them in her basket, she followed him out of the marketplace. There was a wide area most visitors used to land there ships and it looked to be where Zane was going. Made sense that that was the place to go for transport. She just couldn’t believe that he wanted the pair of them to up and leave by tonight. She knew it was time to move on but now? And while yes, Zane was her friend and she trusted him, did she trust him enough to actually travel with him? Travel itself could be risky. And there were a lot of unknowns he was completely unaware of that she knew could complicate things further. She sighed softly to herself. She missed the days when everything felt so simple. Still, when Cybelle thought about it, she was pretty sure she’d make the choices she’d made all over again if given the chance. If Zane left she’d be alone traveling once more and though she wouldn’t admit it out loud, that’d been scary enough the first time. Even when traveling on the Interplanetary Shuttle System. On a private vessel made it that much more intimidating.

Zane glanced over at her while she was lost in thought. He’d been here for years and then this innocent and naïve looking girl crossed his path. Probably one of the most unlikely people you thought you’d find this side of the Black Eye Galaxy. While he’d never been one for trying to get involved with others’ lives when those damn gangsters had tried to give her a hard time that first night, he just had this need to protect her. She was definitely out of her element and it’d only get worse if she left the Dominion which when he mentioned the increased Sultanate presence; he immediately could tell she would. He didn’t have a long term plan but that didn’t matter much to him. He never did. He went off the seat of his pants and hoped it didn’t get him killed. It’d been working so far anyway.

He walked down past various ships and grinned to himself when he spotted one in particular. Well, it looked like luck was about to smile yet again. “C’mon.”

Cybelle followed his gaze towards a large yellow Whedon class ship docked at the far end of the line of transports. Two men were sitting at the bottom of the ramp. One with blonde messy hair, the other with pale reddish-gold hair that was starting to thin out. They seemed to be bantering over something or other given their body language. “Okay.” She walked, looking around. “Why them?”

“Just a hunch.”

The younger of the two stood when they approached. “Looking for transport? We’re going as far as…” His eyes widened with recognition. “Holy shit! Zane?”

The other man laughed, nodding. “Surprised you remember me, you were still a squirt when I ditched Earth.” He still thought Kevin and his family should’ve gone along with him. But you couldn’t change the past.

Brian stood as well, his interest rising at Nick suddenly knowing someone on Halcyon that didn’t hate them. “You two know each other?”

Zane nodded. “Are you Brian? I used to be a friend of Kev’s back in the day.” He smirked. “He used to blow off steam about you all the damn time.”

Nick snickered. “He still does some days.”

Brian stuck out his tongue at Nick but chuckled a little himself. “He’ll be happy to see you then. I remember him saying once he should’ve listened to his friend and bailed, he must’ve meant you.”

“Must have.” Then he remembered the woman beside him. “This is Cybelle; we’re looking to get out. The gokiburi are starting to take over.”

She nodded. “Nice to meet you.” It helped knowing they wouldn’t be traveling with complete unknowns at any rate. If she was. She frowned slightly. “Ditto.”

“Likewise.” Nick said with a smile before turning to Zane. “We noticed. That’s why we’re only staying tonight. We’re taking on some passengers and getting the hell out of dodge tomorrow morning.”

“Hmm.” He went to say something but instead paused, as if to stop himself. “Got anyone else boarding?”

“This guy named Jasyn who tried to quiz me on flying.” A pause. “You’d have thought he knew I drove with a blindfold on. He decided against flying with us.” Brian laughed and grinned. “But that’s it for now.”

Nick smiled at Cybelle noticing her slight unease. “She’s a sturdy girl you know. The Firefly has never let us down. And with Zane on board I know Kevin will probably try to have him do a tune-up.”

Zane snorted. “Probably, more like will. She could use it.”

“It looks nice; I didn’t know people still used the Whedon class ships.” She replied softly as she stepped around to get a better look at it. “They’re well made but became obsolete after later models.”

“Only for those trying to show off.”

“Brian’s a little too attached to this baby,” Nick explained. “I don’t know where you guys plan on going, but we’re going as far as Llyr if you’re interested.”

“Sounds good. Better you than some asshat trying to cheat me out of my gold.” Zane turned and watched his friend, unsure of her decision. “What do you think?”

Swallowing hard, she voiced the decision she knew deep down she’d already made before walking over here. “What time should I be here by tomorrow morning?”

Sometimes, you had to jump first and hope for the best. Cybelle thought to herself.

What else could she do?
Chapter Three by Rose
Chapter Three

Hearing news of Zane from Nick had brightened Kevin’s spirits considerably the night before. He hadn’t seen the man in years. Not since they were seventeen actually. Hell, Nick was only about nine years old when Zane used up his life savings to buy himself a way off Earth. He’d said he could see things were about to go to hell and he wasn’t about to be dragged into the hand basket ride down. Looking back, Kevin knew he should’ve listened and convinced his family to go along. It was a thought he didn’t often entertain as it only caused depression and anxiety. All he could now is do his best to protect the family he had left, Brian and Nick especially.

Having let the others wander the town of Anu that morning before they leave, Kevin was enjoying the solitude. It wouldn’t last for much longer. Soon their passengers would arrive and he’d be able to judge for himself if Brian and Nick had made the right calls. At least with Zane on he could see if he couldn’t get him to check out the ship. Maybe even convince his old friend to stay on as crew since, like him; he wasn’t remotely fond of the Dominion. He had a feeling he’d go for it. Zane didn’t often say no to a chance for some excitement. And that’d be less money to spend in the long run—food and lodging for extra crew didn’t cost as much as repairs and such did.

He got out of his seat in the cockpit and walked down towards the locking dock. Glancing at his watch which had three small faces, set for times within three of the main planets he frequented while the main face was set by Earth time, it wouldn’t be long now before they had more company. Nick had warned him one, Jasyn, was pretty annoying but that he was only going as far as Airmid. There was another, a girl accompanying Zane but Kevin felt he could trust his old friend’s judgment even if he hadn’t seen him since just before he’d bought the Firefly.

He headed down the ramp where he saw AJ loading on the crates of supplies he’d bought in the city. Kevin chuckled to himself. He wouldn’t be shocked in the slightest if there was a year’s worth the pornographic holos in there. He crossed his arms over his chest and watched, his lips curling in amusement. “What all did you get?”

“Heh, you know me.”

“That’s why I asked. Knowing you it’s either porn, weapons, a woman, or junk food.”

AJ laughed hard with a roll of his eyes. “No women, but the rest was a good bet.”

“I knew it. I’m off to go greet the new people.”

AJ snickered as he took his hands off the dolly he’d been pushing and let it idly hover in the air. “Right. Go be Captain Friendly.”

Kevin had quite the confident stride as he went down to the ramp and waited, watching the various residents of the dusty Anu. There were times he wondered if he should’ve just swallowed down what had happened after the fall of Earth. If he should’ve just become a registered citizen of the Dominion and attempt to make a living there. But then he’d see places where the people had done just that—humans, Lyciandans, Breasals, and other races all suffering far below the poverty line simply for living by the laws of the Dominion. There were times he would regret what he’d done and those reminders would wipe the guilt clean as if it never existed. And those they took on for travel he never took advantage of. Too often they were simply trying to survive, same as he.

The first to arrive was Jasyn, who was staring up at the ship as if he was trying to measure it up. He wasn’t human, at least not completely, and it took Kevin a moment to spot the race as a result. With the slightest tint of violet skin and bright blue curly hair that looked abnormally thick and textured, Jasyn had to have had a parent who was at least part Breasal. His third bright green eye confirmed it. Otherwise he would’ve figured his new arrival just had some body modifications done. He’d have to keep an eye on this one; Breasals were, generally speaking, an interesting sort.

“She looks old.” He said in place of a greeting.

A brow rose. “She’ll go into hyperspace easily enough, and has plenty of experience avoiding unwanted attention. Valuable these days. You can’t knock the Whedons, they were sturdy and not made for show like half the boats in the galaxy now.”

Suddenly Jasyn smiled. “I like a man who’ll stand by his craft even if it means losing a passenger.” He held out his hand. “Jasyn Starfrax.”

He shook it, nodding as Brian walked past them with a few new bags of his own. “Captain Kevin Richardson. If you go ahead and get on board, my pilot Brian here will show you your temporary room till we get to Airmid.”

As he headed inside he spotted Nick who had a new pack which he was sure was filled with various things ranging from comics to any art supply he could get his hands on. Nick had talents Kevin could’ve dreamed of and not for the first time did he wonder if the young man would’ve been better off without him. But every time that thought rose, he squashed it down after reminding himself of all the loss Nick himself had gone through over the years. “I was wondering if we would have to leave without you.”

The blonde snorted. “You aren’t leaving without Zane anyway so no.”

He grinned widely. “Yeah I am looking forward to seeing that asshole again."

“Hey who you calling an asshole?” The one in question called out as he walked towards them, the young woman Nick had mentioned the night before right behind him. Zane was grinning, his bright green eyes shining under his unruly brown hair. “I’m still better looking.”

Kevin laughed, going over and giving his old friend a big hug. Nick had had a small smile and Kevin could tell he was holding back a line about him being a softie. It was true in a sense, though he could shut it all down when he had to. “In your dreams. When’d you start living here? I always refuel at Halcyon.”

“A couple years ago. Guess we kept missing each other.” A smirk. “I’ve heard stories from some of my customers about wanting to kill Captain Eyebrows. Figured I’d see you sooner or later.”

“Heh, they’re oversensitive.” Kevin muttered before turning to the girl. “And you are?”

“Cybelle.” She said softly, adjusting her satchel. Two other bags were piled on Zane’s dolly on top of his, far larger, crates. “Thank you for taking us on. Zane’s been telling me about you.”

He eyed his friend playfully. “Don’t tell me you told her everything.”

The other man snorted. “That’d take all night.”

Nick moved to help them get their things when something off in the distance made him frown. “Uh, Kev, I think it’s time to go.”

“Shit, yeah let’s get out.”

“What is it?” She asked as she followed the other three men on board.

“Nothing to worry about, I don’t think.” Kevin explained, silently wondering if AJ did any of his usual antics in the city. Those men did not look pleased and maybe he was paranoid but the group of Sultanates did seem to be headed straight for them. “But let’s just say they’re not fond of me and I don’t think it’s a good idea to see why they wanted to drop by for a visit. So if you guys can just hang on to something as we take off, I’ll have Brian get ready for launch.”

Zane watched with a chuckle as Kevin headed up towards the cockpit. “Don’t worry about it. They hate he never accepted the Dominion’s rule. And he might’ve broken a few laws…” He saw Cybelle’s expression change immediately. “But he’s harmless for the most part, trust me.”

Nick smiled at her. “Part of the reason they hate him is because he’s one of those known to help people in serious debt get to the Outer Rim where they can’t get to ‘em.” There were plenty more reasons but he didn’t feel the need to share that part.

But her gaze was out one of the windows as she held on to the rail and the craft began its ascent. “I’m not worried.” Though her expression said otherwise. Her gaze was soft, distant in a telling way that her thoughts weren’t anywhere close. “Captain Richardson doesn’t seem like a violent man.”

“Zane.” Kevin’s voice came through the intercom. “Can you come up here?”

The mechanic smirked to himself. “That’ll be him asking if I can fiddle with this thing and get her purring so much she’ll burn the sky with how fast she’s going.” He turned to Cybelle.

She smiled at him. “Go, I know how much you love what you do.” She watched him go before sighing softly. She trusted her friend, she did. But already she was questioning her decision to come aboard. Those Sultanates unnerved her greatly. Deciding she wasn’t in the mood to dwell, she grabbed her bags. “Where…”

“Oh, right.” Nick snickered. “We got distracted getting the hell out of Halcyon I forgot to show you where your guys’ rooms are.” He walked with her towards the guest rooms. The crew’s rooms were on the upper level just below the cockpit. “Have you known Zane long? It’s trippy seeing him; I haven’t seen him since I was a kid.”

“No, I met him about a month ago when I moved to Anu.” She chuckled. “He said I needed someone to look out for me against gangsters. He’s a really good friend to me, I trust him.”

“There’s a lot of them there cause they know that planet was practically ignored by the Dominion.” Nick explained as he made a turn. “Now that that isn’t the case anymore I’m sure they’ll be moving out of there completely. But the Black Market’s harder to get in to there.” He glanced back at her. “Or so I hear anyway.”

“I wouldn’t know. I used to live further in.” Cybelle explained. “Where things are more…monitored.”

“No wonder you left. I would’ve too. Where were you guys looking at?”

“Gwydion. I’m pretty, well…” She smirked. “Naïve when it comes to this area but Zane said it’d be distant enough without it being too chaotic. And it sounds pretty.”

Nick chuckled at the last part as the pair paused. “It’s not bad but the humidity’s rough. If I ever settled down it’d be all the way at the edge, towards Andromeda. Over on LeFay.”

Her brow furrowed as she tried to remember which one that was. “Isn’t that the ocean planet?”

“Yep but it’s not ocean, its fresh water. There’s a few islands but that’s it.” He smiled.

Personally it made her wonder why refugees didn’t think to go there. She was wondering why Zane hadn’t considered it. As if he heard her thoughts. Nick continued. “Most don’t go for it because there’s virtually no civilization there. Too many species need fucking salt water. I always sorta thought humans should make a go for it, but obviously we’re too lazy for it. You’d have to start over, re-colonize, and figure out what in the air screws with the signals and shit.”

“But you’re not lazy.” She mused. Even she couldn’t consider going without technology for too long.

“Nah, if I had my pad, a pencil, survival supplies, and the ocean, I think I’d make it okay.”

“And people?” Cybelle said coyly.

AJ snorted as he walked by. “Nick would fucking lose it if he didn’t have people around. Hey, you’re wanted upstairs now that Kev’s got Zane giving the old a girl an overhaul down in the engine room.”

The blonde saluted him with a grin. “Got it.” He set her stuff down in the doorway after pressing a button so the door retracted into the wall. “This is your room.” He motioned upstairs. “The galley is that way, feel free to snack and everyone has dinner together. It’s usually around five but there’ll be an announcement. You haven’t met Howie yet but he does the cooking. Um…” He paused to think. “Oh, so we operate by earth time in here.” He pointed at a clock on the wall. “Kevin’s sort of nostalgic.”

“I think I’ll be okay.”

“Alright. Zane’s room is across the hall and Jasyn, not sure where he is, his room’s beside yours.”

“Nick, will you come up here already?” Kevin’s voice came over the speakers.

She laughed. “You’re being summoned.”

“Eh, I’m used to it.” He replied cheekily. “I better go up though.”

“I’ll see you at dinner then.”

“Sure.” Nick started the stroll upstairs. He always liked seeing who they took on. AJ hadn’t been lying when he said he’d go insane without people. It was part of the reason he stayed on. This was a home in a sense, and the crew was the only family he had. And while they were all on one shuttle, he enjoyed the various personalities they came across. Kevin and AJ he knew could always do without them even while knowing that having people come aboard was necessary; so it usually fell to him, Howie, and Brian to help them feel welcome.

He was slightly surprised when he entered the pilot’s nest and Brian wasn’t there per usual. It was just Kevin who nodded at him to sit in what was usually his cousin’s chair. “He’s down talking to Jasyn about something.” He said without greeting. Kevin tended to act like a mind reader most of the time.

“So what’s up?”

Typing something into the large console, he pulled up a message onto a monitor. “It’s Eddie. He’s gotten wind of a new job but it’s out of the way.”

Nick eyed him playfully. “I thought we were laying low? One day doesn’t count.”

“We will be. If everything goes as planned then we won’t catch any known attention from guards.”

He snorted, remembering how many times they’d said that before. “When does that ever happen?”

Kevin simply smiled. “On occasion. Anyway, I just need to know if it’s going to stir up too much suspicion among our two other passengers.”

Nick considered that. “I’m not sure. Cybelle seems alright, but she hasn’t been in these parts long. I think she’ll know but she trusts Zane too so that might help. I don’t think she’ll try and rat us out or anything. I haven’t had a chance to talk to the other one yet.”

“Brian’s off getting a better feel for Jasyn now.”

“Alright, so what’s the plan?”
Chapter Four by Rose
Chapter Four

Jasyn frowned that next morning when he saw them taking a detour and was sure to stop Kevin as he came into the kitchen area and reached for an apple. “Why are we going this way?”

Kevin was personally grateful he was asking this now rather than last night during their actual stop over to drop Zane off back on Halcyon again so he could board the shuttle they planned to raid later. It’d been tricky but they’d managed to without anyone troublesome noticing. That wouldn’t have been so easy to explain. “There’s a part our new mechanic needs to pick up in Brid, pure Geminite so it won’t break easily. It won’t cause us more than a day’s delay.”

Measuring the man’s explanation, a brow rose. “It’s seems like quite a detour.”

The other man nodded in agreement. “I know. I wish Zane would’ve found it earlier but what can you do? Obviously we won’t be charging you for the extra day.”

He appeared to be placated by that. “Good to know.”

It was seeing as Kevin wasn’t really up for deflecting him. It seemed a little too easy but he’d take it and hope for the best later. “I do ask you stay inside while we’re at Brid, it’s not the best of places unless you’re familiar with it. Things get kind of rough.”

Before Jasyn could reply, Cybelle came in a few moments later with Howie, chattering away about different recipes. “Oh, see I wasn’t raised on Earth so most of my cooking varies on the basics like that and…” She blinked at the room being full, missing AJ’s absence since he typically kept to himself anyway. A trait that took no one long to notice. “Oh, good morning.”

Howie grinned. “I was comparing notes with her since someone thinks I need to step away from the books and practice in here more.”

Kevin shrugged. “Not my fault you’re the only one who manages to fix food without burning it or almost blowing up the stove the way Nick did a few weeks ago.”

“Where is Nick?” She asked innocently.

“He’s in town to help get a few things while Zane gets a new part for the ship.” It wasn’t a lie. Over the years Kevin found it best to tell truths while omitting the details. It helped sell the lies he told whenever they were going through a deal. “I was just telling Jasyn about it.” He glanced around. “I’m going to go check on Brian.”

It was yet another half-truth. He was heading up to the nest and try to be sure Brian was alright. What wasn’t said of course was the fact he wasn’t on the craft at all. Like Zane, he was dropped off in Halcyon to rendezvous with Nick once he came aboard in Brid just before the shuttle “malfunctioned”. He slipped on his earpiece as he shut down a few of the engines. The less energy they gave off out here, the more likely they’d go unnoticed. Just in case.

“Brian?”

“Go ahead Kev.” He said after a few moments, Kevin thought he could hear a door shutting. “I’m in the restroom, no one will hear.” The sound of water running followed.

“Over sharing.”

“It’d only be that if you heard me flushing.” Brian laughed. “Go ahead.”

He ran his hand down the monitor, checking for his cousin’s location. Each ear piece had a tracker so that if anything changed, anything went wrong, they wouldn’t be lost completely. “You’re almost here. When you see Nick, greet him like an old friend and act like you’re finding a compartment towards the back. I sent Nick an image of what we’re after. He’ll look like a bum.”

Another laugh. “How’s that any different from normal?”

He laughed with them. Despite the dangers of the jobs they took on, there were little joys to be found each day. Ways to find happiness in a ‘verse that was mostly filled with darkness, rather than light. He learned a long time ago to hold on to those moments. They were what helped him through the dark times. The simple knowledge that it wasn’t all bad. He smiled to himself.

“Moving on, once Nick is on there…”

*****

Nick took a deep breath as he walked through the streets of Brid. It wasn’t a clean town by any means. Mainly Geminite miners working as slaves for the business owners. He’d been there for a few hours, having taking one of the two detachable pods on the Firefly so that he could get on Brid and buy some of the local clothes to blend in. He had to get on this job like a commoner looking to move on now that he managed to fulfill his contract. It was a filthy look and he hated every second of it, but he did look the part. And as rare as people like the one he pretended to be were—it did happen.

He couldn’t wait to be back on the boat and taking a much needed shower however.

What they were stealing was far more valuable than Geminite. This time it was a drug, experimental for the scientific community of the Dominion to see what ways it could be used for weaponry. For the Black Market however in small doses it gave an excellent high that was unrivaled by any other. No one knew the true chemical name outside the highest and most elite of circles, but he knew it as Nehan. Sometimes it caused a complete breakdown of the mind, leading to schizophrenia or even multiple personalities but few cared about that in a world of suffering. There were rumors it could be used for medicinal purposes as well but no one knew for sure.

“What’s your location Squirt?” He heard Zane’s voice ask through his practically invisible earpiece.

“Approaching now.”

“Alright.” Kevin confirmed over the line. “The shuttle should stop but be unable to start thanks to his modifications-” Nick fought the urge to chuckle. “Board like normal, Brian should be in the back. He’ll lead your further in after making a scene of recently reunited friends. Zane, we’re stationed beyond the sand dunes when you get off.”

“I should’ve found you years ago. This is making fucking around with superior asshats ships in my shop feel boring.”

“AJ.”

“Yeah?”

“Did you plant the distractions?”

“Obviously. Heh. They’ll go off right about the time the blonde brigade wants to get off.”

Beyond the mountains that were mind endlessly there was nothing but sand like pictures Nick had seen once of the Sahara deserts now long gone. He couldn’t fathom being able to live in such a miserable place. That was where the Firefly was waiting. Because of what was about to happen and the close proximity helpfully hidden by the windstorms, getting back with their speeders wasn’t going to be a very difficult process. The trick was making sure everything else went off without a single hitch.

The transport could be seen not too far ahead. Like everything else funded by the Dominion, it looked highly impressive on the outside. Longer than two of those airplanes he’d learned about in history class as a child, it was a metallic lime color, gleaming under the hot sun. It was closer to this planet than others and it made the weather pretty nasty. Another reason why most people didn’t live here by their own choosing. This rock wasn’t worth the technology that terraformed it centuries before during the Great ‘Verse Expansion if you asked him.

Sliding his pass that he’d used various times before under his forged identity, Nick stepped on the craft and looked around. It was a depressing sight. Though he could see why the authorities chose to ship the drug on this particular route. Who would think that something so valuable would be traveling with the lowest of peasants? Half of these people were homeless, the other half just too poor for a higher class route. Those homeless were more like refugees in the sense that what they saved up to travel wasn’t used for a home but a chance to get to a better planet, higher up within the central ring of the Dominion so that they could start over. People no one would give a second glance at if they all happened to perish. It was low risk in that manner too if the craft got hijacked, the Sultanate could destroy it if they had to. The thought made Nick sick.

Spotting Brian, he headed back, plastering a huge grin on his face. “Tommy!”

“Aaron!” He chimed back. “How’s the family?”

Nick pulled out his small holo and pulled up an image that he managed to block from the view of others after the pair went further to the back. “There’s BJ.” He pointed at the picture of the tiny suitcase they needed to look for. “See where’s she’s at?”

Up front the driver was hitting his console in frustration. He looked at a young woman seated behind him and pointed outside. “Go see if you can’t figure out what’s wrong with it. We’re already twenty kuso-bun yotei yori okurete! I ain’t going to get my shiri chewed out for this! Mai cruisa grendo!” He shouted in a mixture of English, Lycian, and rough Japanese.

“Lucky her.” Brian mused. “Come on.”

Following the shorter man, he made like they had seats on one of the other carts on the shuttle. They kept going; further back where they knew the storage cart had to be. Pausing outside the back door, Nick made like he was rubbing the back of his ear, whispering softly. “We’re in place.”

“Copy. AJ, how’s-“

A huge roaring noise interrupted and answered Kevin’s unfinished question all at once. Not fazed in the slightest, Nick used his holo device to scan the area for the chest in question. The best thing was that as small as it was, it’d be easy to hide when they slipped off the craft. Chaos could be heard going on throughout the ship and what few guards were on board were forced to go see if the commotion outside was local or interplanetary trouble.

“Got it!” Brian said in hushed victory.

“Bring it here.” Nick said as he pulled out what he’d dubbed as his crime kit, cheesy as that sounded. He took out a few tools and quickly got to work on picking the lock. Once he did, he smiled at the glowing vial within. “Perfect.” He locked it back up and tucked it away in his knapsack. “Glad everyone brings all they own around here in these things.” He muttered. “Now let’s get out of here.”

“We’re good to go cous.” Brian said softly as they walked out, completely unnoticed in the ensuing chaos that only increased when another load explosion went off. This one closer.

“Time for me to blow this shit.” AJ’s gruff voice cut in.

Nick smirked to himself before saying loudly. “Forget this! I thought I’d be safer traveling with the Shuttle System!” He shoved by people looking fully panicked. “Come on Tommy!”

Brian followed, his eyes wide and sneaking off before too many people noticed Nick’s sack was fuller than before. Sultanate pushed by them, grumbling in annoyance. As his friend stepped off, Brian paused to hear what they were saying.

“Another fucking political moron trying to make a statement.”

“Heh, cause scare tactics will really do something. What a baka.”

“I think the engine’s finally fixed. I fucking hate this poor excuse for a planet.”

“Let’s go be sure everything’s clear. No need for that shit to get on here…”

Brian hurried off and nudged Nick lightly, nodding back at the craft as they walked. “They’re going to notice we’ve been in there soon.”

“How long you think we have?”

“I’d say about fifteen, twenty minutes.”

The younger man laughed, slipping in and easily getting lost within the crowds as they made a beeline towards the other side of town where they knew the Firefly would be. A glance back told him everything was still as calm as could be and while those inside the ship had been panicked, those in the city were not. It was a sad and telling state of affairs when small explosions were shrugged off when it was seen no one was hurt. (Which of course no one was, Kevin’s firm rule was that no innocents were to be hurt no matter what the job.) While part of the Dominion and not as ignored as Halcyon was, it was more or less a slave planet. There were often mini rebellions that went nowhere and protests that did nothing more than anger those in control even more.

On the edge they could see the path going off between the mountains and while they felt home free, a nudge from Brian brought him out of his thoughts and back to reality. “Shit!” Dodging the gunshots, Nick fired back and hoped they weren’t close enough that their travelers his ship heard and asked questions.

“There’s only two!” Brian sound pretty relieved as he ran, chancing a shot back.

“Good that means they want the Nehan but not for anyone else to know about it.” Another shot. One went down. “That’s right asshole!” His victory was short-lived when a blast hit him in his left shoulder. “Fuck!”

“Nick!”

He shook his head. “Forget it, I’m fine.” He lied, his shoulder was filled with searing pain along with the fact his pack was resting on that shoulder. He couldn’t wait to get the hell off this worthless rock. Gritting his teeth he fired again, the shot wild.

Brian turned around and kept firing. Soon, the other Sultanate met the same demise as his partner and the two hurried on the craft. Nick made a beeline for the med wing while Brian rushed up towards the cockpit. He wasn’t too worried. While the wound was somewhat nasty, he long ago learned to have faith in Howie’s abilities. As he walked into the room, Kevin had questions but Brian waved him off as he hopped into his seat and started up. “Is AJ on?”

His cousin nodded. “Got here about ten minutes before you did.”

“Good, cause we’re not staying any longer.”

“Where’s Nick?”

“Took one to the arm,” Brian’s eyes were focused solely on his task. Soon they were in the air. “I don’t think they had any time to call for reinforcements or tell anyone what was missing.”

“Don’t take any chances. I don’t care if it delays us but take the route with the least amount of people.”

“Where are we going next?”

“Nuada.” He said with grim determination. “It’ll sell the highest there and it’s on the way.”

Brian made a face. “Are you serious?”

“The chances of her finding you there are slim to none.”

He got nothing but grumbled mutterings in response and Kevin chuckled. “Plot it.”

Sighing deeply, he did as he was told. “You’re the boss, Captain.”
Chapter Five by Rose
Chapter Five

The next few days were quiet and peaceful, a rare thing in their world.

It was enough to put everyone on the ship at ease, passengers and the crew alike. Zane was tinkering in the engine room. He grunted as he fought to get a gear lose, finding it useless in the grand scheme of it. Having it off would only serve to up the craft’s hyperdrive capabilities without any real side effects besides higher fuel usage. AJ was throwing knives at a makeshift dartboard he’d carved ages ago and put up in the loading dock. He sat back, debating before each carefully aimed throw. His aim was almost always near or on the mark.

Kevin on the other hand was just coming up from the galley and sighed softly to himself. While Brian dreaded going to Nuada, he was looking forward to it. Their last trip caused him to encounter someone he found made pleasant company. He smiled at the mere thought of her. Her silvery lavender hair, her soft green eyes, and the way she had about her that always had him feeling so damn content. He wondered what she was doing, if she was thinking of him the way he was thinking of her. He hadn’t heard Nick’s footsteps approaching him because of his musings.

“Looking forward to Damara?” He asked with a slight smirk.

Kevin jerked with surprise but shrugged. “I always like seeing her.”

“I don’t know why you don’t just bring her aboard.” Nick leaned against the railing, watching AJ’s knife throwing absentmindedly. “You know there’s nothing really keeping her there.”

“Because we don’t have that kind of relationship.”

Nick simply snorted.

“We don’t. And she’s not cut out for this sort of life.” A pause followed. “Few people are.”

“Have you ever asked her if she wanted to try?” He asked, rubbing his shoulder and fighting not to wince.

The other man sighed deeply. “How’s your arm?” Kevin nodded at Nick’s heavily bandaged arm that was now in a sling over the grungy once white shirt he typically wore. It had been hurt worse than he’d wanted to admit the other day.

“Hurts like a bitch.” He replied dryly. “You didn’t answer my question.”

“Because I don’t have to.”

No, you don’t. Nick agreed silently. Kevin would never ask Damara to come join them. She lived a semi-respectable life on Nuada. One where the Dominion left her alone and she didn’t need to struggle as they did. Or do the things they had to so that they could keep going. Their life wasn’t a safe one. And that very fact is what would keep Kevin from doing what would make him happy. Because apart, she was safe and she was sound. On their ship that would never be the case.

It was why none of them had any real attachments off-board.

“Sorry.”

The captain shrugged, “Don’t be.”

Nick nodded at AJ who was getting up finally to go tug the knives back out of the makeshift dart board. “Sometimes I think he’s the smartest of all of us.”

Kevin snorted, rolling his eyes. “Don’t ever tell him that. We’d never hear the end of it.”

“I’m serious though.” He glanced over. “Howie cares too much. That’s why he saves anyone and everyone he can.” It made their friend a liability on jobs, matter of fact. “Brian had that girl, Julianna…”

“Before she got herself killed.” He rubbed the bottom of his goatee.

His friend nodded. “You have Damara…”

“And you?”

Nick turned away and shoved his hands into the pockets of his torn jeans. “No one, you know that.”

“Because you refuse to let yourself. The difference between you and knife-boy is that you want to. You tease yourself by being social with anyone we take on, but you keep it shallow. Meaningless.” Kevin placed his hand on Nick’s uninjured shoulder. “Anyway, I’m going to go get some rest while it’s still quiet. Don’t cause too much trouble.” He smiled before turning and heading back up towards his room.

“Alright.” His gaze shifted out towards the stars. Pulling out the small notepad and pencil he kept in his back pocket when he wasn’t out committing one crime or another, he began to sketch against the railing. He wasn’t sure what he was going for but he figured he’d know once he was done. Kevin wasn’t wrong in his assessment of him. How many times had he lost people? His parents, Kevin’s parents, everyone he’d known on Earth, at the station…maybe he was sick of making connections he knew wouldn’t last. Kevin and Brian had been the two constants he’d ever had in his entire life. And each day he prepared himself to lose them somehow. So while he craved having people around, to be social, he kept everything light.

Some days it was simpler to meet a girl when they took a day on some random moon or planet and take her to bed. No strings attached, with no connections beyond the physical. He’d feel good knowing he was wanted and all the pleasures that followed throughout the night. She’d get what she wanted out of it too. It was easy. In the life he lived, Nick liked easy. He glanced down then to see his sketch. As the picture became clearer, it resembled the home he’d had back in Florida. He could make out the beginnings of ocean in the background and a peaceful scene surrounding a young figure that resembled himself. The image was a recreation of a distant memory that was pretty fuzzy anytime he tried to recall it but always accompanied a warm feeling.

“What are you doing?” A gentle voice asked.

Harmless though it was, Nick was still startled enough to almost drop the pad. He flipped it closed in a hurry before turning around to see Cybelle watching him curiously. “Wasting time really. Fuck, you almost gave me a heart attack.”

She laughed, tucking a curl behind her ear. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to.”

He smiled back at her. “It’s alright. I’m liking the adrenaline rush anyway.”

“Good, now I don’t feel bad.” She teased, glancing down to see AJ and raising a brow. “Is he always like that?”

“AJ?” He smirked. “More or less. There’s more to him than that but he doesn’t really like people to know that. So he acts like a hard ass and then goes to read Shakespeare in his room. Go figure right?”

She brushed off lint or dust Nick himself couldn’t see from her pale green dress. “I wouldn’t have expected that from…someone like him. No offense intended.”

“He wouldn’t be offended.” Nick snickered. “I think he’d be glad he puts up such a good front. But it makes sense, right? Everyone has secrets. Sides they like to keep to themselves, or those they trust most I’d think.”

She shifted her eyes away. He was more right than he knew. Cybelle often wondered why no one really put the pieces together. But then again it wasn’t like she had the public life. That fact is what protected her so well now. Though sooner or later secrets would come out. It was an inevitable fate she wanted to put off for as long as humanly possible. She wondered what secrets Zane held, what ones Nick held. Even though it would be something she’d never ask. It wouldn’t be right.

“You’re right about that. I think it’s a human thing.” She said after a few moments.

“Probably. Lyciandans put their love for violence and domineering out there and are blunt as hell just in general.” His voice had grown hard and bitter.

“They’re cold and callous.” She agreed. She hated the union that now controlled several galaxies just as much as he did. The so called peace, and new order did nothing more than change life as they all knew it. For the second time if you didn’t grow up in the colonies as she had.

“Sounds like you know from experience.”

Cybelle shook her head. “No. Not really. More from what I’ve seen since traveling through the Verse recently, before Halcyon.”

“I can’t believe you’ve never been around before that.” He replied lightly, his grin a teasing one. “I feel like my life was nothing but hopping from planet to planet. Is, I mean.”

“I suppose it takes all kinds.” Jasyn said as he ran a hand though his thick head of tentacle-like blue hair. He was coming from the other end of the corridor where most of the dorms were. “Like…” he seemed to be searching for a word. “Scavengers for example.”

Nick’s eyes narrowed. “Well in a Verse like this, there’s not as many options for some as there are for others.”

The Breasal simply hummed. “Maybe.”

She glanced between the two uncomfortably. “Speaking of hopping around, where’s our next destination going to be?”

“Nuada.” Jasyn told her. “A place of whores and debauchery. One of the most influential planets towards the Outer Rim systems.”

The other man rolled his eyes. “It’s also one of the best planets to reload on without any questions about official transport. The Dominion isn’t too fond of…car pooling, for lack of a better word. We’ll be there in a few more days.” He smirked cockily. “We’re taking the scenic route.”

“Where to after? The main reason I came to find you was that the Captain was busy and I wished to know how long till we got to Airmid without more unscheduled stops.” He asked pointedly.

Before he could answer, Brian’s voice came out over the intercoms. “Attention passengers and crew. I need everyone to get to their quarters and strap themselves down right away. I repeat, get yourselves back to your room and strapped onto something. This is an order. Thank you.”

“Shit.” Nick muttered, knowing that couldn’t be anything good.

“What is it?” Cybelle asked worriedly as Jasyn followed the orders almost immediately.

“It means we have some unwelcome company.”

Her face paled. “As in…”

Nick nodded at the unsaid question. “Go on. We’ll be alright.” He said, more to reassure her. She hurried off, looking like she’d seen a ghost. However he had no time to think about that as he rushed upstairs to the cockpit. Waiting expectedly were Brian, AJ, and Kevin. All with faces filled with grim determination. Did they get caught that fast for what happened back on Brid? They’d had a clean getaway. Nick knew they’d all be sure of that. But if it wasn’t that, what was it?

“What is it?”

The voice over the intercom answered before anything else.

“Captain Richardson and crew of the Firefly…We request you stop immediately to be boarded for questioning. We have a warrant for a search of your ship. We will use force if necessary. I repeat, you must stop immediately to be boarded for questioning…”
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11224