It's Complicated by Julilly
Past Featured StorySummary:
 photo IC_Banner_zps00vrrcaq.jpg


I know they say the first love is the sweetest, but that first cut is the deepest, I tried to keep us together, you were busy keeping secrets.

After 20 years together, the Backstreet Boys were certain they knew everything there was to know about their youngest member. He'd grown up right before their eyes, but behind the curtain everyone has secrets.

Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group, Nick
Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance
Warnings: Death, Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: Yes Word count: 16595 Read: 19011 Published: 02/01/15 Updated: 02/16/15

1. Chapter 1 by Julilly

2. Chapter 2 by Julilly

3. Chapter 3 by Julilly

4. Chapter 4 by Julilly

5. Chapter 5 by Julilly

6. Chapter 6 by Julilly

7. Chapter 7 by Julilly

8. Chapter 8 by Julilly

9. Chapter 9 by Julilly

10. Chapter 10 by Julilly

Chapter 1 by Julilly
Author's Notes:
Oh hey there! Long time, no see. This has been sitting on my virtual shelf for a while now and I thought it was about time to dust it off and present it to the world. Let me know what you think!
Sleep, eat, soundcheck, eat, show, after party, eat, sleep.

It is a strange way to live a life. Like a shift worker, I sleep through the day and wake up for work late in the afternoon. On this particular day, I didn’t wake to the sound of my cell phone alarm belting out whatever 80’s classic I had set it to that day. Instead, it was a frantic pounding on the door, the signature style of my bodyguard, alerting me to the fact that I was late. Again.

This would mean going to soundcheck party, a time we allow our fans to share some insight into the lives of a touring musician for the low-low price of a week’s pay, without showering or eating. I know my fans pretty well by now. Well enough to know that greasy, messed up hair, yesterday’s clothes and chomping away on an apple was not a look that they didn’t still find desirable.

Sure enough, as a dribble of apple juice made it’s way down my chin and I ran to grab my guitar and my seat next to my band mate, they not only screamed at my presence on stage but continued to look at me with an expression that read nothing short of ‘I want you inside me’. If day-old stubble, unbrushed teeth, a just-fucked hairdo and jeans so ripe they might walk away on their own accord, was something these ladies like, who am I to deny them?

As I sat tuning my instrument (the guitar, get your mind out of the gutter) I couldn’t shake the feeling that I was being watched. I mean, I knew I was being watched. The three hundred fans sitting in the seats in front of me snapping pictures and videos with their cell phones were fair evidence to that fact. It’s different when the gaze is not that of a stranger’s but rather someone you know, someone whose eyes you are accustomed to.

I had been seeing ghosts for a long time. Not real ghosts, mind you, but ghosts from my past. One of these apparitions in particular had been causing me some mental fatigue, haunting me in my dreams enough that the only good sleep I was getting was while my alarm was going off. It was that lingering spirit that I could feel and I scanned the room as best as I could against the lights shining in my face just to ensure it was all in my head.

The lighting crew was using our soundcheck time to test the lights for the show, which made it nearly impossible to see every face in the crowd. It had been a long time since I’d seen her, so in spite of a sixth-sense feeling of dread I had to accept that she was still lost to me.

“Nick, you paying attention?” my bandmate, Brian, asked of me and I realized they had started a song without me. Shaking my head free of cobwebs I gave the crowd my signature smirk as an apology for being distracted and caught up with the group.

We ran through a couple of songs at the back of the stage before ditching the instruments to move to the front and answer a few questions. I couldn’t resist the smiling, happy faces and I leaned down to graze my hand against the fingers that were reaching out for me. It was when I went to stand that I knew I saw her. I did a double take because my eyes had been known to play tricks on me when it came to her. She really was there though, standing at the back with the other Bronze level VIP attendees.

Her arms were crossed tightly across her ample chest, a cascade of brown hair pulled into a tight ponytail high atop her head and the sharp angle of her cheekbones making the menacing glare she was sending me all the more frightening. She was as terrifyingly beautiful as I’d ever seen her.

“Alright, who has a question?” our tour manager asked the crowd.

My eye contact with her didn’t break as her hand shot up in the air. I tried to protest without drawing any attention to myself, sending frantic, wide-eyed glances toward the man with the mic as he made his way over to the tall beauty on the end of the aisle who I’m certain was about to eat me alive with everyone watching, like a dinner scene from Hannibal.

“There’s...someone over here with a question!” I called out, my voice breaking with the nerves, but it was too late. The microphone was already clutched under her slender fingers, capped with royal purple manicured nails.

“Hi guys,” she cooed and I couldn’t help but sigh. It had been so long since I’d last heard her voice and in spite of everything, it was still music to my ears.

“Blast from the past right there everyone,” AJ’s raspy voice echoed through the room. “Girl, it has been a long time since we last saw you. What’s your question?”

I knew that my bandmates were all wondering what she was doing standing in the audience, given the circumstances, but they would never show their unease. They each took the opportunity to quickly glance between me and her while we waited for her question.

“My question is for Nick.”

The way she said my name, hanging on to the emphasis on the last letter with a click from the back of her tongue, was how I knew she was pissed. I didn’t know what to expect, but I had a feeling that her question was about to end with me answering a lot of very different questions.

“I’m just wondering when you think you’ll man up and finally sign our divorce papers?”

I could feel the eyes again, but this time they belonged to everyone; my friends, my employees, the fans, random staff from the venue and most importantly…my wife.
Chapter 2 by Julilly
Author's Notes:
I decided to post a second chapter since it's all part of the set up to the rest. I'll probably post the next chapter on Monday :) Thanks for reading!
Panic.

It had settled so deep in my throat it was choking me from the inside. I had never wanted to run away from anyone so bad. Normally I was the type of person that went after confrontation, that took it head on. These girls, with their expectations and the pedestal that I was precariously teetering on was enough to leave me feeling exposed and vulnerable. Instead, I did the only thing I could think to do as an alternative to a mad dash back to our dressing room - I laughed. Nerves spilled out of my mouth by way of a loud, awkward laugh.

"You're hilarious," I told her. "I know its tough to stop coming to soundcheck party every time, but I don't think you really want to break up with us! Who else has a question?"

Although I might be able to fool the majority of the crowd in front of me, I owed a serious explanation to four people (if not a few more) who were not convinced by my ramblings. She was ushered away with the rest of her group while we went back to get ready for a photo op with the rest of the girls. We kept it together as we stood taking photos but were alone with each other backstage for less than sixty seconds when the questioning began.

"What the hell was that?" AJ asked in a stage whisper.

I sighed, "It's kind of a long story."

"So long that you couldn't have told us before? What was she talking about?"

"Please tell me she was just joking," Brian contributed to the inquisition.

"I really wish I could."

"You're married to her? Since when? How could none of us know about this?" my tattooed friend was back in line for questioning and I let out a heavy breath, pressing both hands into the top of my head. I knew they were going to judge me but I had been backed into a corner thanks to her and had no choice but to risk it.

"That's a good point," Howie jumped in. "How is it possible that wouldn't end up in a tabloid the second it happened?"

"We weren't that type of tabloid fodder at the time," I shrugged.

The confused looks on their faces weren't surprising. It was hard to remember a time when something like me getting married wouldn't have been splashed all over magazines and entertainment news shows. I was, after all, a notorious bachelor.

There was only one figure in the room that didn't share that look. From an armchair in the corner, Kevin simply looked disappointed. Not because my words were such a revelation but rather because he was quite aware of my situation and under the impression it was something I had dealt with years ago. He was making no move to speak on my behalf, leaving it up to me to throw myself on the fire.

"When you were what, ten?" AJ questioned sarcastically.

"Sixteen, actually."

A collective gasp rang out and I wanted to crawl into a hole and hide forever. We had been at the cusp of popularity at the time, more likely to be found in European teen magazines than American gossip rags and no one would have expected Baby Backstreet to take a walk down the aisle when I hadn't even sprouted my first chest hair yet. To be honest, there were no aisles involved, just an office at city hall and a few signed pieces of paper.

Howie's pained expression was the hardest for me to handle. I had been through a lot in the last ten years of my life and he had held my hand through all of the ups and downs, giving me a shoulder to lean on when I needed help taking another step in a positive direction. I knew that keeping such a secret through all of that, from someone who was supposed to be my best friend, was going to feel like a swift kick in the nut-sack. I told him about every illicit drug I'd abused and the accompanying embarrassing public displays but not this. This was too personal, too shameful.

"I’m really hurt, Nick. Please explain how you have been married for more than half of your life and we are just finding out about this now," Brian requested, his voice low and full of the judgement I had feared. He was mad, but I didn't blame him.

"Kevin knew!" I exclaimed, pointing to the silent party in the corner.

"Don't you dare bring me into this," my eldest ‘brother’ warned sternly. "Take responsibility for your actions for once in your life. We aren't here just to clean up your messes and make excuses for you. It's time to tell the truth, Nick."

"Always gotta be right," I muttered, head down and hands anxiously crossed across my body.

"Start from the beginning," Howie encouraged, babying me as per usual. "What would have possessed you to get married that young in the first place?"

That I could answer. "Our parents, mostly hers, mine just went along with it, they told us we had to."

"Let me guess," said AJ. "This wedding was of the shotgun variety?"

I nodded my head, ashamed. More surprised expressions followed and I knew I needed to further explain before things were taken out of context. "It's not what you think," I tried to explain. No doubt they had visions of a child, a senior in high school by now, hidden away from the world by their elitist pop star father, never to be seen in public life. Right before their eyes I was surely transitioning from friend and bandmate to monstrous deadbeat dad.

"What is it then?"

I looked to Kevin for help but none was given. I didn't want to talk about this. I didn't want to relive this again. I didn't want a reminder of the type of person I really am. They would never forgive me. They, like me, would never forget.

"It’s complicated," a voice that was not my own cut through the silence of the room and I looked up to see her standing in the doorway casually.

"What the hell are you doing back here?" I asked, looking around her for the culprit that had placed their All Access pass around her neck.

"Saving your ass, as usual," she rolled her eyes, moving to toss her purse down on the couch in front of me. "Mike said Kevin texted him and asked that I come back. So here I am. All it took was me making an ass out of you in public for you to pay attention, I guess."

I sent a glare in Kevin's direction, silently calling him out as a traitor. Before I could address the distraction in the room and resume my explanation, she picked the story back up, this time going all the way back to the very beginning. Her version of the story began in a Florida retirement home when eight-year-old Nick Carter met Marki Watson for the very first time but I knew her version would be missing key elements of my side of the story that everyone needed to hear.

“Wait,” I interrupted and Marki raised a curious eyebrow in my direction. “I should tell the story. There’s so much that even you don’t know.”

I took a deep breath and started at the beginning.
Chapter 3 by Julilly

When I was a child, my parents managed a retirement home. It wasn’t a luxurious lifestyle, but the job came with a place to live (just down the street) and I don’t think my mother fed us a single meal that wasn’t prepared by the kitchen staff. Every employee, much like the residents, loved my siblings and me so we could always count on there being sweets and candy available whenever we dropped by.

School was within walking distance and there were quite a few kids to play with around the neighbourhood, but I rarely had the opportunity to do so because I was always babysitting my (stupid) sisters. In the summer though, adults would come to visit their parents or grandparents at the home and drag their unwilling children along with them. I always loved those times because it meant I got to play with someone my own age without leaving the building.

That was how Marki and I met. My mother was caring for seven-month-old twins and completely out of commission when it came to child supervision, which meant I was stuck with two girls following me around all day long. We often played hide-and-seek through the hallways, having residents assist us in finding the best hiding spots. When it was my turn to hide, I raced down the hall, skidding along the linoleum floor before dashing into the room of an elderly woman named Herta. She always helped me hide from my (stupid) sisters and would deny ever having seen me if they ventured this way.

My quest to beat the countdown happening at the end of the hall was cut short when my lanky body (skinny arms and legs moving faster than I could control) went barreling face first into the back of a tall man who was blocking the entrance into the room.

“Whoa there, careful son!”

I can vividly recall the rush of heat into my cheeks as my tan skin turned cherry red in a flash. It wasn’t out of embarrassment for crashing into a stranger, that happened somewhat regularly. The blush was the result of a pair of brown eyes peering back at me around her father’s legs.

“What are you doing?” she smiled mischievously and cocked her head so far to the side that her high ponytail arched like a waterfall of thick, dark hair.

“I’m hiding,” I explained, looking back toward the door in panic upon hearing my (stupid) sister’s giggles echo down the hall. “She’s coming!”

“Quick,” she grabbed my arm and yanked me in the direction of the wardrobe, not thinking twice before shoving me inside. It smelled like old people in there, a familiar scent of mothballs and disinfectant but I stayed silent until the door opened once again. I was only eight-years-old, I wasn’t suppose to care about girls but I already knew that this girl with the round, doe-like eyes, porcelain skin and perfect, heart-shaped lips was the girl I was going to play tag with as long as she’d let me.

“She’s gone,” she said while freeing me from the smelly wardrobe. “I’m Marcia but everyone calls me Marki.”

“My name’s Nick,” I replied, confidently sticking out my hand as my father had taught me to do when I met someone new. She laughed and I felt that heat in my cheeks again as I awkwardly stuck the hand back in my pocket. There was a single moment of silence as the adults in the room watched us with amused smiles but it passed just as quickly as I looked up and said, “Wanna play?”

That part of the story was one that my friends were more than familiar with. Marki and I became best friends that summer and when she returned to her home in Tennessee we wrote letters and sent postcards almost weekly. Every time she came to Florida to visit her Great-grandmother it was a sure thing that we would be inseparable for the full length of the visit. Soon our mothers became friends and after Herta passed away they would still make the annual trip to Tampa, this time to visit the Carters.

She was the first person I called when I was offered a spot in the Backstreet Boys, putting me in a position of having to choose between the Mickey Mouse Club and an opportunity that might flop. Even at only 10 and 11 years old we talked through the pros and cons like professionals, with her finally pushing me to take the chance. In the end, MMC got cancelled and BSB took off so as a thank-you, I bought her a necklace, a cheap (but expensive to me, at the time) sterling silver chain with a pear-shaped, cubic zirconia drop pendant. The chain broke years ago but I knew I would find the pendant still hanging from the charm bracelet Marki wore every day on her slender wrist.

My parents had brought her out to visit me a couple of times on our smaller, van tours of the southern states when all we did was hit up high schools and amusement parks. My bandmates had met her and took an instant liking to her, feeling the same need to protect her that I did. She was never allowed to stay long because it was close quarters and there wasn’t money for guests.

Years later, when schools and parks became stadiums and amphitheatres, that changed and she got to come out to Europe a couple of times, but we never let on that somewhere just past puberty our relationship had made a smooth transition into a romantic one. There was never a Hollywood movie moment when we had awkward sexual tension and finally broke it with an uncomfortable kiss which forever changed our friendship. Quite the contrary, in fact. It was as if we’d been together our whole lives but were now just at the point where we could make the decision to show our love for each other physically. We kept it secret because we were afraid that if adults knew what we were doing behind closed doors, they’d never let us be alone again.

My first everything could trace back to Marki. She was the first girl I kissed, first girl I french kissed, first breasts I’d ever put my mouth on (I was bottle fed), the source of my first erection and subsequent first wet dream, first hand-job, blowjob and of course the first notch on my bedpost. More importantly though, Marki was my first, and some might say only, true love. She was the first girl to make my heart flutter just by walking into a room, the first girl I slow danced with on the beach under the stars and the first girl I cried over.

Chapter 4 by Julilly
My life started to get particularly hectic around age 16. In some countries I was still a relative nobody but in others I had crossed into full-blown celebrity-status. The Backstreet Boys were spending the majority of our time over in Europe, capitalizing on the fact that the market for pop acts was huge and they were eating it up. Our first single had made it into the top five in a few different European countries and our first album was getting ready to drop.

There was a brief sliver of time in April 1996, when we were on a break from three straight months of touring that we got to go home. We’d spent Christmas together in a strange hotel room in Lingen, Germany, were just finishing up the album in a Swedish recording studio and the official European album launch was just around the corner. We’d barely been home in the last year and management took pity on us, knowing that we wouldn’t be seeing American soil for a while once we resumed the second leg of our European tour.

Marki’s parents took her out of school for a week, knowing she would be insufferable if I was home and she wasn’t able to see me. She flew out on her own and we spent every moment we could together. Our relationship wasn’t just about sex, though we did have plenty of it, there was a level of intimacy between us that I have never experienced with anyone else to this day.

So many of our conversations were unspoken. We communicated through a series of glances, touches and kisses because neither of us was very good with words. It was nearly impossible to find alone time during that break but we’d managed to set up a makeshift love nest in my siblings’ tree house and my parents didn’t suspect a thing.

Being away from her, all the way over in Europe, with an impossible to manage time difference, made me briefly consider whether we should call the whole thing off. I vividly remember what changed my mind, though. She was laying in that tree house, her body covered by only a Rainbow Brite top-sheet that I grabbed from the closet. Her hair was mussed, the knots in the back a tell-tale sign of our afternoon delight, and she was smiling at me.

I’m sure I was telling her everything I needed to say through my return grin but something pushed me that day, as if I was chastising myself for even considering ending our perfect relationship, and for the first time I put into words what my eyes had told her so many times before.

“I love you.”

Her smile grew and she reached out to cup my jaw in her hand, rubbing her thumb gently across my cheek.

“I mean it,” I stressed, taking her hand in mind. “I will never love anyone the way I love you. You’re the greatest part of me.”

“You’ve been listening to your own music a bit too much.”

I frowned, obviously disappointed in her response to my declaration of undying love.

“Nicky,” she spoke empathetically in an attempt to sooth my bruised ego. “We're 16 and you’re basically famous. You’re gonna go back to Europe and forget all about me, superstar.”

“I won’t! It’s you and me baby, all the way.”

She smiled and this time I knew I’d won her over a bit. After a brief kiss, she spoke words that continue to haunt me to this day.

“I’ll hold you to that.”

~~~


As it turns out, keeping promises is a skill that I have lost over time. It’s as though I had to exchange sticking to my word for being a ‘world famous’ celebrity. It was one or the other.

About six weeks after I went back to Europe, I returned to the hotel room I was sharing with AJ to discover that I had dozens of messages at the front desk from Marki. I panicked, thinking that something had happened to her family as it had been a couple of weeks since we’d last spoken and her parents were practically an aunt and uncle to me. As soon as I got the chance, I returned the call, expecting the absolute worst.

Instead of an ominous report of a heart attack, cancer or sudden car wreck like I’d set myself up for, Marki told me something that permanently changed my life.

“I’m pregnant.”

“What do you mean?” I asked dumbly.

“Like…I’m pregnant. I’m going to have a baby. Your baby. Our baby.”

“But, that’s not possible. I pulled out. Every time.”

“Someone at school told me that doesn’t actually work.”

“AJ told me it always works!” I whined, while simultaneously sticking the corner of my thumbnail between my front teeth for a nervous chew.

“I think we have strong evidence that will prove him wrong. Nick, what are we going to do?”

I paused for so long she thought I’d hung up and started calling my name until I made a noise to acknowledge her.

“I don’t know what to do,” I admitted while wondering silently why that answer was suddenly my responsibility.

“I won't get rid of it,” she told me firmly. For a brief moment I wished that she wasn’t such a good Christian girl from a good southern family.

“Have you told your parents yet?” I asked, but she quickly confirmed that I was the first and only person who knew anything, other than the cashier at the pharmacy who sold her the pregnancy tests. It was a matter of weeks before Marki and her parents would be heading to Florida for Memorial Day weekend but although the timing would be perfect for an announcement with all the parents in the room, there was no way I could be there given my schedule. I had that weekend off but last I heard it was just a matter of time before that time would be booked.

I was overwhelmed and the thought of what this could mean for my future was making me nauseous. In that moment I thought for sure there would be a vote and the other guys would kick me out of the band so I could go take care of my responsibilities at home. Biting back the bile, I did the only thing I could think to do - lie through my teeth.

“Hey Marki, I’m really sorry but I gotta go. AJ just came in and they need me right away. I’ll call you back later and we’ll figure this out.”

“Okay,” she sighed but before she could say anything word, I disconnected the call.

Not wanting AJ to catch me when he actually returned, I forced myself out of the hotel room, fighting back tears. Lucky for me, I stumbled upon a deserted hotel gym. I made it as far as the first bench before I collapsed down onto it and the waterworks commenced.
Chapter 5 by Julilly
Author's Notes:
We've officially reached the halfway point. There's only five more chapters after this so everything will start to unfold, I promise. :) Thanks for reading!

Two hours flew by after I’d collapsed against a random workout bench to cry. Eventually, I was out of tears but no further ahead in coming to any sort of conclusion about what to do with my predicament.

There was a clatter of noise behind me as the magnetic locks released with the swipe of a keycard and the gym door swung open. Not wanting to be caught, I quickly tried to rub away the evidence of tears with my shirt sleeve and grabbed the nearest weight. The fifty pound dumbbell I’d hastily chosen was more than twice what I could reasonably lift with one arm at that age so it just hung awkwardly off the side of the bench, but I was sure the stranger coming around the corner would write me off as an inexperienced idiot not an inexperienced idiot father-to-be.

“Nick?”

“Shit.”

Kevin was the last person I wanted to see. There was no way my cover would work because he would never believe I’d come down to the gym without a gun to my balls.

“Are you okay?” he asked with genuine concern in his voice. He was obviously coming down for a workout, dressed in grey shorts and a red tank top with a white hotel towel pulled around his neck. Not wanting to disturb him, I shook my head and tossed the weight to the floor with an obnoxiously loud thud. Before I could make my way to the door, he stopped me with a firm hand on my shoulder.

“You’ve been crying. What’s wrong?”

There were a million and one available excuses I could have told him. It would have been believable for me to say I was homesick or that I had something in my eye. In most situations, when I find myself feeling a bit lost, Kevin has always been there to offer some inspiring words of wisdom, a fishing story, or something his Dad taught him to help guide my way. That’s what I needed, someone older and wiser to tell me what to do, to tell me what the responsible and ‘adult’ thing to do would be. So, in spite of the fact that only me, Marki and the cashier knew what was happening, I found my lips suddenly loose.

“Kev, there’s...something I have to tell you.”

I sat back down on the edge of the weight bench and he followed suit, grabbing a spot just across from me. He said nothing but I knew he was waiting for me to continue.

“You know my girlfriend, Marki?”

Of course he knew her, I never shut up about her and my bandmates were the only people who knew that our relationship status was more than it seemed. Management thought we were just childhood friends and I wanted to keep it that way because I knew they’d keep her as far away from me as they could if they knew the truth.

“She okay?” he asked, his super-sized eyebrows nearly turning into one as a look of concern cropped up on his face. I could tell he was waiting for a breakup story.

I shook my head negatively and the tears I thought were gone found their way back, now spilling down my cheeks, dripping silently off the edge of my jaw.

“She’s pregnant.”

“Please tell me it’s not yours.”

This was not the all-knowing, wise owl response I had been expecting.

“Of course it’s mine! We’ve only ever been with each other.”

“Jesus Christ, Nick,” he muttered, running his hands through his hair quite anxiously. “Did no one ever teach you about safe sex?”

“Yes, but AJ--”

“Tell her to get rid of it. Yesterday.”

“I can’t!” I gasped, nearly choking on the air as it passed through my throat. “She won’t do that. She doesn’t believe in that and I don’t think I do either.”

“Of course she doesn’t,” he said and I swear you if you could have squeezed the words as they escaped his mouth they would have dripped sarcasm. “She knows you’re on your way to the top, why not see what she can get for it, right?”

“She’d never do that. We love each other!”

Kevin rolled his eyes, “You don’t know what love is, you’re a kid. I’ll tell you this right now, if you go through with this and it ends up in the public…it’ll ruin us, Nick. All of this will be over, we will never make it through this. No mother is going to want their teenage daughter lusting after a 16-year-old boy with a baby.”

“How can you be so sure?” I wondered, having been more concerned about the actual fatherhood portion of the issue and not what it would mean to the rest of the world.

“Nick,” Kevin’s voice was steady and serious and he locked eyes with me as if to further emphasize the importance of the words he was about to speak. “You can either do what society thinks you should do in this situation and go home and be a teenage Dad or you can forget about it, stay here and follow your dreams.

“In one reality you will likely grow up to work some minimum wage job, living paycheque to paycheque to support your kid and your woman. In the other you’ll be an amazing fucking singer and maybe even end up in music history, who knows. Either way, you can’t have both realities. You have to choose which one you want.”

Deep down I knew he was right. Europe was one thing, but we had our sights set on making our break into the US market. I wanted to be a star but I wouldn’t find the kind of stardom I wanted by being a teen father. I could practically feel every mother in the Bible Belt judging me already. More than that, I would be single-handedly responsible for bringing down the other guys. Call it a tad egotistical, but I didn’t think they’d be as successful without me.

I couldn’t handle the guilt that would come with taking this opportunity away from my friends, but I also knew that my problem at home wasn’t going to go away as easily as Kevin made it sound. My parents would never let me turn my back on Marki quite so simply, I knew. I wasn’t even sure I wanted to, I loved her, I just needed to make all of them understand that this was a matter of life or death for my blossoming career.

As chance would have it, no sooner had Kevin and I left the hotel gym and returned to our rooms when we were summoned by management to a meeting. We’d been booked for the end of May, as expected. Our record label was putting on a huge Memorial Day party and we had been requested to perform, to give us some exposure to American music industry big wigs. The party was in Orlando and we would get to spend the rest of the weekend at home before returning to Europe. Like the clouds had parted, I saw my opportunity to sit down with Marki and explain to her that being a father just wasn’t part of my destiny.

Chapter 6 by Julilly

“No.”

I sighed heavily at the negative assertion. The battle was being fought entirely uphill as soon as my troops had landed on American soil. Marki was shocked and, I dare say, disappointed by my request that she put an end to our oops-baby problem but I kept working on trying to convince her that it was really for the best, for both of us. We were sitting in the bedroom I shared with my brother, cross legged on my bed facing each other. I’d managed to ditch my mini-me long enough to get some private time, having told our parents we were playing video games.

“What if the press finds out? We’re working our asses off to make it big here and this could ruin us. No mother wants their teenage daughter lusting after a teen dad,” I quoted Kevin, hoping that his logic would speak to her.

Marki shook her head in confusion, “Don’t you think those mothers would judge you equally as much for pressuring your girlfriend into having an abortion?”

“How would they even find out?”

“My point exactly. Things might be happening for you in Europe, you might be in a couple magazines but you’re still no one here. There’s no guys with cameras following you around. No one would find out about this because I wouldn’t do that to you. There’s no reason you can’t be a father in private and be a regular teenage heartthrob in public.”

“There is so many reasons, though! Think of how people would judge me if this got out!”

“How they’d judge you?” she laughed sarcastically. “This is the definition of a no-win situation, Nick. You’re worried about how some women you don’t know MIGHT judge you, IF this got out? How about how everyone I know will judge me? My entire community is going to judge me, not you.”

“That’s why we shouldn’t go through with this!”

“How would we even do that without telling our parents?” she questioned and I realized she had made a valid point. I didn’t know the first thing about getting an abortion, I didn’t even know if they were legal. I just knew that’s what chicks did when they got knocked up and didn’t want to be. Like in Dirty Dancing, only without the rusty knives.

“I don’t have any money,” she pointed to herself then turned the finger on me. “You don’t have any money-”

“Well, not on me, right now, this instant, but I can get some.”

“How? You’d have to ask your parents. You don’t have any right now and I looked it up, it costs around $500 at home. Plus, I can’t have a medical procedure without consent from my parents. I’d need to go through counselling and a bunch of other stuff first, too. I actually did my research before I came to my decision.”

She had won, I knew it, but I was having difficulty coming to terms with it. Marki was right in that either decision we made there would be someone who didn’t approve of it. I wasn’t sure that eighteen years of disapproval was worth the small amount of time people might not be okay with the alternative though.

“We’d only need $250 each,” I attempted to rationalise. “Once we explain the situation to our parents I’m sure they’ll be on board. They won’t want you to throw your life away.”

Marki’s eyes went wide and I thought for a moment she was having an epiphany, finally seeing things my way. I cocked my head to the side and her eyes darted to the door and I realized she was not in shock by my logic, but rather by the fact that we were no longer alone. I remember chanting in my head how much I wished that it would be my brother that I saw when I turned my head. Much to my chagrin, it was my mother instead.

“Explain what situation?” she asked. With my usual amount of dramatic flair, I leaned my entire body forward on the bed, legs still crossed, until my face rested against Marki’s knee.

“It’s really complicated,” I muttered.

“Why don’t you come downstairs and tell me all about it then?”

~~


Marki and I were soon found ourselves sitting on my parent’s old floral-print velour couch while both sets of adults stood over us ominously. We’d explained the whole situation right down to the conversation we’d been having when my mother had come to the door. I’ll never forget what it felt like sitting on that uncomfortable, fuzzy, couch, waiting for the other shoe to fall. It was the first time I’d ever really felt like someone was judging me. Years of auditions had thickened my skin to the point that I couldn’t care less what people thought, but that was different, those people didn’t affect my life.

The look of absolute disappointment on my parent’s face was nothing compared to the anger and resentment that was coming my way from Marki’s. Her father’s eyes were brimming with tears and I knew he was holding me personally responsible for everything we’d just told them.

“I didn’t even know you two were a couple,” my father admitted after a few especially tense moments of silence.

“Neither did we,” her father chimed in, his voice full of emotion. “How long has this been going on?”

Marki said nothing, just continued staring down at her knees, so I took one for the team. “About two years. We love each other very much!”

I expected them to be in shock, to yell at us, something to let us know they were so angry because they cared so much about us. Instead, there was just a deafening silence so tense it made me sick to my stomach. My father walked over to the big picture window, looking out at my brother and sisters playing in the front yard. With a single flick of his finger he motioned me over and I almost didn’t go because I knew what was going to happen if I did. Rather than make a big deal about it, I gave Marki a pat on the knee and straightened my ratty, old football jersey before walking the few short steps over to where my father stood.

He was much bigger than me back then, I remember. These days I have a half inch on him in height and definitely have the advantage of not being drunk half the day so I think I could take him. Not that it mattered at the time, because then I was scrawny and weak and when I stood in front of him and he slapped me across the face so hard that my head hit the window with a crack, I just took it.

“BOB!” my mother cried out, I’m sure more in embarrassment that her friends were standing in the room this time than concern for her first born son.

“How could you be so irresponsible? Didn’t we teach you anything?”

I swallowed back the bit of blood in my mouth from where I’d bit my cheek and cupped my hand over the side of my still-stinging face. “Is that really what you think? That I’m irresponsible? I’m 16 and I have a full time job and I do everything you’ve ever asked me to do. I made a mistake but this isn’t just my mistake. Why is no one blaming her?”

“Don’t go pointing fingers, son!” Marki’s father jumped in and I somehow knew he was living vicariously through my father because he’d been dying to hit me ever since he found out I’d knocked up his daughter. “You’re older, you should know better…”

“I’m barely six months older and I’m clearly an idiot, so I don’t know better!” I declared, throwing my hands up in defeat. “I don’t why I am being judged when I am the product of a teen pregnancy.”

“I was almost 19 when I had you,” my mother clarified. “Your father was older than I was and he was able to provide for me.”

My eyes widened, “As if you would say that I’m not able to provide for her. I’m famous in Europe, I’m going to be famous here pretty soon. I’m going to be rich, you have been telling me that for years and you know it’s true. I’m sure I’ll be providing for this entire family pretty soon, if I don’t already.”

“This isn’t getting us anywhere. The situation isn’t going to change. We messed up, we’re sorry and we need to come up with a solution, not fight about it,” Marki said, proving beyond a reasonable doubt that she was the smarter, wiser, mature one who probably should have known better.

Her father shrugged, motioning to me once more. “I think we just did come up with a solution. Nick just said it himself, he has no issue providing for you so that’s what he should do. If you two think you’re old enough to be parents and Nick’s going to be some rich and famous musician then you and the baby will have everything you need.”

“We’re not old enough to be parents though, that’s why I suggested that maybe we go the other route,” I argued.

Marki’s mother had stayed silent up until that point, choosing to say nothing until what she had to say mattered and I couldn’t argue with her logic. “If you’re old enough to have sex, then you’re old enough to be parents. Maybe not emotionally, but life doesn’t really factor that in. You have to play the hand you’re dealt, there’s not going to be any shortcuts here.”

At that point all thoughts of what my bandmates might think were gone from my mind. We weren’t in a position to tell our parents what to do, they were still our supreme overlords making all of the decisions on our behalf. Marki’s father was quick to point out to me that I wasn’t off the hook and wouldn’t be going back to Europe without a firm confirmation that I was going to keep my word and be there for Marki both financially and emotionally. I hadn’t thought much about the fact that he worked in a law office every day, until the moment I realized that by keeping my word he meant legally and by legally he meant marriage.

Chapter 7 by Julilly

We took a break from touring in early August but that didn’t mean we had any real time off. Our first album was already at the top of the charts throughout most of Europe and management knew the train couldn’t stop. Before the first record even released in the UK and Canada we were already in Sweden working on the second. Then the award show circuit really got going for us and people started inviting us to festivals, all of which had to happen before we were back on tour in early November.

Six days at Christmas was all we were guaranteed in terms of days off between November of ‘96 and October ‘97. Sometimes I look back and wonder how we ever made it this far without completely burning out. It was usually five days on and one day off, if we were lucky, and that one day was always filled with travel or press.

It wasn’t exactly ideal conditions for trying to execute a secret marriage when there was a time limit on when it could happen. By Christmas Marki would be ready to pop, there was no way I would be able to put off making an honest woman (teenage girl) out of her in order to satisfy our parents and society, who weren’t even going to know about it in the first place. My dad had been on tour with me through the rest of the summer, maybe to make sure I didn’t get any other girls pregnant or maybe because my mother couldn’t stand him, but it became his mission to find a time to get me back to the states even for a few hours so I could sign some paperwork and sign my freedom away.

Somehow he managed to pull it off and I was back in Tampa with less than 24-hours before I had to be on a plane to Tokyo. He luckily hadn’t needed to make any excuses to justify the stopover since management thought my Dad’s idea of a brief trip home to swap clothes as we moved from Europe to Asia and from summer to fall, was brilliant. I wanted to tell the other guys what was really going on every day, to beg them for sympathy or advice, but Kevin’s words about what my secret could do to the group’s future hung over my head, like a bright neon sign swinging dangerously from a broken wire.

There were no white dresses, tuxedos, flowers or tiered cakes at our wedding. Marki and I arrived separately at the office of a notary public not far from my house, someone my parents knew through the nursing home. At that point she was visibly pregnant and I couldn’t stop myself from staring at the bulge in her dress, blaming it for all of my problems from the situation we were currently in right down to the fact that I hadn’t had decent sleep in months. The ceremony, if you could even call it that, lasted all of ten minutes. We signed some things, our parents signed some other things saying we could sign the first things and before we blink it was over.

A short while later, back at the house, Marki and I were alone for the first time in what felt like forever. We were both sitting on opposite sides of the couch, she had her feet up on the coffee table and hands comfortably settled on top of her bump, which I hadn’t stopped looking at out of the corner of my eye. I thought in that moment it would be impossible to feel any more uncomfortable in a room with her, to feel any further away from her even though I was sitting next to her. I was wrong, but at the time I didn’t have anything to judge against.

“Are you going to talk to me?” she asked.

“Is it weird?”

“Is what weird?”

I motioned to her stomach, “That. Does it feel weird?”

She followed my gaze down then rubbed her hand over the fabric covering her stomach. “I dunno, I guess,” she said with a shrug. My expression must have hit the point of terrified that borders on comical because she laughed. “This isn’t Aliens, Nick. Nothing is going to come busting out of my stomach at any moment and try to kill you.”

“You don’t know that for sure,” I teased and for a split second the tension in the room decreased.

“It feels better now than it did at first. I felt lousy for a while there but now it feels pretty much normal. Except for the snakes.”

“Snakes?!” I screeched, my voice cracking embarrassingly as I jumped back away from her.

Marki laughed (at me, not with me) and reached over to grab my arm, pulling until she could press my hand against her belly. “That’s the only way I know how to describe it. Sometimes it’s like my stomach is full of snakes all wiggling and jumping around.”

I wasn’t sure what a bag of snakes felt like but I suddenly knew what a belly full of baby felt like and it scared the shit out of me. It was like whatever was in there was tapping out a medley against my palm and I had to use every ounce of willpower I had not to pull away lest Marki think it was her that I found disgusting.

“Do you know what kind of baby it is yet?”

“A human baby, I hope, but judging by how freaked out you are I’m starting to think you’ve been hiding something. Are you really an alien and this is all just an experiment?”

I rolled my eyes, “I know it’s a human baby. I meant like a boy one or a girl one.”

“Don’t you think I would tell you if I knew that?”

She had me there, though that wasn’t anything surprising since Marki was infinitely more intelligent than I was. Still is, I’m sure. The silence was about as comfortable as having a tooth pulled but we both continued to sit in it awkwardly until I felt like I had to escape.

“I’m going to get a soda. Do you want anything?”

“No,” she said, giving me a strange look. “I can’t have soda, all that caffeine and sugar isn’t good for the baby.”

I had perfected the overdramatic eye roll at that point and put it to good use in that moment. “I could get you water or something else.”

“My mother suggested you might be acting so distant because you’re worried that you’ll be a bad father,” she said, seemingly out of left field.

“That’s bullshit.”

“Is it?” she asked. “You don’t have a positive male role model in your life, your Dad is kind of mean. Every time we’ve talked on the phone lately, you’ve been really cold and I don’t understand why. So if it has anything to do with you worrying about what kind of father you’ll be, I just want you to know that you’re going to be a good one, you’re your own man.”

“Your Mommy tell you that, too?”

“Why are you being such a jerk?”

“Why are you trying to ruin my life?”

I hadn’t really meant for those words to come out. They were supposed to stay internalized along with all the other emotions I felt on a regular basis before I realized that bottling it up only led to moments like the one I was stuck in. Almost instantly I regretted opening my big, stupid mouth, as Marki’s eyes filled with tears and one by one they started slipping down her cheeks. She didn’t make any move to wipe them away and I wanted to do it for her, to apologize, but I knew it wouldn’t seem genuine, and it wasn’t.

“You don’t think this has affected me as much as you? I’m missing an entire year of high school, all the hobbies I had I now can’t do, my friends have forgotten all about me except for a few, you blame me for everything inconvenient in your life and worst of all I have to carry it all around on the front of my body like I’m wearing a big fucking sign that says hey everyone, look at this girl who couldn’t keep her legs closed, what a slut.”

Adult Nick would have apologized and felt like an absolute fool for even thinking for a moment that Marki wasn’t suffering as much, if not more, than me but Teenager Nick hadn’t figured out how to think past himself yet. I didn’t have a lot of compassion because in my mind that was a sign of weakness and my father had done a pretty good job of snapping my compassionate bone pretty early in my life.

“Maybe you should have thought about all these things back when I suggested you get an abortion.”

She had every right to be pissed but it wasn’t in her nature. I had always been the passionate one of the two of us. When I was hot-headed and quick to react irrationally she was the perfect balance of calm and reasonable and could usually diffuse my attitude with no issue. I chalked her apathetic reaction to pregnancy hormones because she just shrugged. It was unlike her to be so dismissive.

“It’s too late for that now, we can’t go back. I think maybe I should go. You clearly need to go back on tour. When you come back could you please bring Nick with you? Because this guy, whoever you are pretending to be, is kind of an asshole.”

“I am the same Nick!” I argued, pounding my fist against my chest for extra effect but she shook her head.

“I am the same Nick and you are the same Marcia,” I said, using her full name only because I knew she hated it. “Unfortunately, you and I, together, we aren’t going to ever be the same.”

What we had when we were kids, even what we had six months earlier, was gone, but I never imagined it would get as bad as it did.

Chapter 8 by Julilly

“Remember that thing you and I talked about a while back?”

I finished scrawling my name across the top of an 8x10 photo, just above my image, before I sent it down the line. It took a second to register the fact that Kevin was speaking to me but when the next photo didn’t make it to my hand I finally glanced up to see him waiting expectantly for an answer.

“What thing?”

“That problem you were having, that we talked about in the gym.”

“What about it?”

“What ever happened with that? You never followed up.”

There’s a reason for that, I thought to myself before reaching to take the photo out of his hand. I continued silently signing my name and sending it down the line while considering my options for a safe escape from the conversation. There didn’t seem to be a way out without trapping myself in an impossible lie so I went in head first.

“It didn’t really get resolved the way we had discussed.”

“What are you guys talking about?” Brian asked from the seat next to me. “You’re speaking in strangely formal code.”

“Nothing,” Kevin dismissed him. “Nick had me write him up a strength training program but I never see him in the gym so I figured he hadn’t bothered to follow through.”

It was just like Kevin to come up with a lie on the spot that made him look like the good guy and me look like the lazy piece of shit. Some things never change. I continued doing my job, like I wished Kevin would also do, but I could still feel him staring at me, waiting for the conversation to continue.

“It’s complicated,” I said.

“What’s complicated about having a plan and executing it?”

“Because...there were other people in the gym. They were using the equipment so I wasn’t able to follow the plan the way you had it written out. Plus, you’re not considering that in some gyms I’m not old enough to workout by myself and I need adult supervision. My Dad is here because he didn’t want me to go to the gym, okay?”

Brian laughed loudly, still listening in on our conversation. “Your Dad doesn’t want you to go to the gym? That’s the lamest excuse I’ve ever heard, man.”

“Yeah Nick,” Howie agreed. “Put down the Gameboy and go to the damn gym already. They don’t card you, it’s just a sign on the wall that says you need an adult. Just don’t break anything.”

“Fuck you guys!” I said in frustration. “Kevin gave me a plan that was way too fucking hard, okay?”

Brian’s eyes went wide at my outburst, “Sheesh, okay you big baby. Calm down.”

I snatched the next photo out of Kevin’s hand with a snap, leaving a permanent dent where his thumb had been. “Thanks a lot,” I muttered.

“We’ll talk later,” he told me in a tone I recognized as his attempt at being a figure of authority in my life.

“It has nothing to do with you, just let it go,” I said pleadingly, utilizing my own skills in the eye of puppy dog eyes.

“We’ll talk later.”

To hear Kevin describe it later that night, I single-handedly held the pistol that would kill any chance we had of making it big in the states. He gave me a laundry list of reasons that we were ruined, everything from the fact that there was a marriage licence with my name on it, to the potential that Marki, her parents or even staff at the hospital who would eventually deliver our child might say something and it would get out. He was so certain that this spelled certain doom for us yet he still wanted to fill management in so they could do damage control if it got to that point.

I staunchly resisted that recommendation if only because the fewer people were aware that the situation even existed, the better. I had no plans to tell anyone else unless it was absolutely necessary and I was going to do my best to ensure that no one else said anything. No one was scouring the Hillsborough County marriage records looking for my name because it was a little far-fetched.

“This is the last time we ever have this conversation,” I told Kevin confidently. “If there’s something you need to know then I’ll tell you. Otherwise, we can’t have anymore random discussions about the gym in front of the other guys or you will end up being the one that let’s the cat out of the bag. This isn’t going away for me, but I think it needs to for you.”

~~


I’d never been disappointed on Christmas morning before that year. It’s surprising if only because I rarely, if ever, got what I wanted or what I had asked Santa for but I didn’t know any better so I would always be excited about what I did get. My parents could have wrapped up a couple sticks and rocks when I was little and I would have thought it was the coolest gift ever. What I didn’t think was cool, was unwrapping gift after gift in front of my brother and sisters full of baby crap. I didn’t ask for onesies and soothers and gift cards to Toys ‘R’ Us, I asked for videogames and a new Buccaneers jersey and CDs and for the first time in my whole life I knew they could afford to get me those things because I was the one making all the money.

It was like they went out of their way to embarrass me and I hated everyone that day. I was heading up to Tennessee after Christmas dinner to spend three days with Marki before heading to Quebec to restart the tour. It would be the last time I would have a chance to see her before her due date in early January and as much as I dreaded the awkwardness of being alone with her and her parents, I knew it would be better than my house. As soon as the dishes were cleared from the table I grabbed my bags for tour, filled another bag full of my offensive Christmas gifts and headed to the airport.

“Can you help me up?” Marki asked the second I walked into her parent’s living room, stretching her hands out so I could pull her off the couch and into a hug. I tried not to show it but I was in shock over how much bigger she’d gotten since I’d last seen her. It felt real before but now it felt imminent.

“I missed you,” she said quietly against my shoulder and although I returned the sentiment wholeheartedly, I kept it to myself. She had been part of my life for so long that it was impossible to not notice her absence, even though it was me that was avoiding her. “I’m so bored without you around.”

“Ok, you stayed up long enough waiting for him to get here,” her mother interrupted, entering the room with her arms full of blankets and a pillow. “Let me get the couch set up for Nick so you can get some sleep.”

“He can sleep in my room,” Marki protested and I raised my eyebrows, wondering what exactly she was expecting to happen given that she had an oversized watermelon sticking straight out the front of her body.

Her mother laughed at the notion but Marki persisted, “We are married. Married couples sleep in the same bed, right? That’s why you guys forced us to get married in the first place, so our child would be legitimate, so our relationship would be honest. Plus, it’s not like he’s going to get me pregnant. It’s a little late for that.”

She had an undeniable point that not even her mother could refute. Once she went on to explain that we needed the time alone in order to talk about the future because the time we had before the future became the present was quickly running out, I was moving my bags upstairs and helping her into bed.

“Are you comfortable?” I asked, fluffing the pillow behind her head one more time to be sure.

“Yes, I’m fine,” she smiled. “I’m sorry. This probably isn’t how you imagined us spending our first night in an actual bed together as a couple.”

I smirked, “I had imagined it slightly different. It’s okay though, I’m the one who should be sorry. You were right last time, I have been an asshole.”

“You were right too, though!” she said.

I slipped into the bed next to her, trying to take up as little space as possible but it was a double bed and she was nearly double wide so I settled on laying on my side, leaning on one elbow before motioning for her to continue.

“You told me that you and I would never be the same,” she reminded me. “It took me a while to realize that we weren’t going to ever go back to those days in the treehouse. All of a sudden it’s like we’re grown ups. We’re married and you’ve got a big career and we’re having a baby and we can’t stay the same through all that.”

“Yeah,” I agreed, happy that she managed to eloquently put into words everything I had been wanting to say but couldn’t. “I love you, truly. There isn’t another person in the world I would rather go through all this shit with than you. You’re going to be a really great mom in spite of all this and I’m gonna try my hardest to make sure you have everything you need, but you gotta understand, Backstreet is…”

Marki interrupted me with a flick of her hand, “I get it. You have more responsibilities than just me.”

We chatted a bit more about less emotional topics like how the tour was going and what soap operas she’d gotten addicted to during her time at home before going to sleep. A few hours later, I slowly woke up to realize that Marki was saying my name over and over in an alarmingly frightened voice.

“What’s wrong, are you okay?” I asked in a panic. “Are you having the baby?”

“No,” she answered, but her voice was trembling as though she’d been crying. “I feel weird.”

“Weird how?”

“I don’t know, just weird. I woke up because I just felt strange, like something wasn’t right and then I realized that I haven’t felt the snakes.”

I reached over and flicked on the lamp, taking a look at her in the light. Her face was flushed and puffy from crying and she was holding her hands protectively over her stomach.

“I can’t remember,” she sobbed. “I can’t remember the last time I felt the baby move at all. Maybe this afternoon, or around dinner time but I’m not sure.”

I said nothing but reached out and put my hand below hers, closing my eyes as if that would somehow make my sense of touch stronger for a moment. I remembered the wiggling and kicking I’d felt before only this time I just felt her cotton nightshirt against her belly.

“Maybe it’s sleeping?” I suggested, not knowing what else to say. “Babies have to sleep, right?”

“Yeah, but it usually sleeps during the day and keeps me up all night. I just have a really bad feeling, Nick.”

“Okay, okay,” I said in a futile attempt to calm her nerves. “I’ll go wake your parents up and we’ll go to the hospital, okay?”

She nodded and I grabbed her hand, giving it a gentle squeeze.

“It’s gonna be okay, I promise.”

Chapter 9 by Julilly
Author's Notes:
Forgot to post this yesterday, sorry about that! Things are about to get pretty dramatic as this one comes to a close. Only one chapter after this, thanks for reading!

“I can’t be here for this.”

The door slammed shut and I rubbed my hands over my face, trying to control my emotions. My bandmates were torn between looking at me and looking at the door Marki had just hastily exited in the middle of my storytelling. I was grinding my teeth but the quiver of my chin gave away how hard I was fighting the urge to cry.

“Go on,” Brian encouraged me.

I rubbed my hand across the stubble on my jaw, thinking that was the same way I’d felt that night when we’d gotten to the hospital and found out the baby was in trouble - rough and raw. Marki was inconsolable, but I couldn’t be. I somehow had to stay positive and encourage her to pull it together so that she could deliver a baby. The doctors wanted to induce her immediately and I just had to sit back and hold her hand while it all went down.

Hours went by where we just waited for something to happen and every time the doctor came back in the room the situation looked a little more grim. At one point, he’d pulled Marki’s parents off to the side and I reluctantly left her, not wanting to be left out of the loop on what was happening. The doctor stopped speaking as soon as I approached and I looked between the faces of the adults, trying to gauge how bad things were.

“What’s going on?” I demanded. “I’m the father, you have to tell me.”

“Nick,” her mother said while wiping a tear from her eye. “It’s complicated.”

“I’m not a little kid, I can take it.”

Somehow, whether it was from the position Marki had slept in when she took a nap that afternoon or something else, just a freak accident, the umbilical cord that connected the fragile life inside her with everything it needed to live, had gotten twisted up. The doctor gave me the analogy of a garden hose getting a kink. The water going through the hose hadn’t stopped entirely but had gone down to a trickle. The baby was still alive but the chances of it living without serious brain damage, or living at all, was almost impossible.

It was all my fault. I had spent the every moment since May wishing that this curse had never been brought down upon me then, like a gruesome punishment for being selfish and ignorant, my next shitty Christmas present was for that wish to come to fruition. It wasn’t the personal loss that hurt the most, it was the hurt I felt for Marki, who still looked like a dream to me when to everyone else she certainly looked like a sweaty, emotional, terrified little girl - helpless on a hospital bed.

I first tried to think of what Kevin would tell me to do in this particular situation but given the way his advice had been steering me over recent months I went in a different direction and instead tried to imagine what Brian would tell me to do. I imagined myself as him, strong and resilient, caring and protective, but most of all compassionate for others before himself. With that in mind I simply moved back to the bed, returned to my seat, picked up Marki’s hand and held it tight, letting her know through one of our time-tested silent conversations that I wasn’t going anywhere.

~~


I hadn’t thought about that night, let alone cried about it, in a long time. Hunched over, hands over my face, I was gasping for air by the time I felt someone’s hand on my back between my shoulder blades. I glanced up and caught Howie’s eye and he gave me a sad smile.

“I’m sorry,” I said but he brushed me off and took a seat on the coffee table just beyond my knees.

“So the baby was stillborn?” he asked.

I shook my head, wiping both hands over my cheeks roughly, “No...he was still alive but it didn’t look good, he was barely breathing and they tried to bring him around but the doctor said he would be brain dead and we didn’t want him living on machines. They let me hold him for a minute or so then I was walking…” I had to stop as another sob caught in my throat. “I was bringing him over to her when he just died, right there in my arms.”

The room was totally silent. AJ could not have looked more uncomfortable, his hands wringing the bottom of his shirt anxiously. Brian was crying right along with me while Howie continued to rub my back consolingly. The only person I hadn’t dared to look at was Kevin.

“How could you have carried this with you all this time and not mentioned it to anyone?” Howie asked. “You shouldn’t have had to go through it alone.”

“I wasn’t alone,” I said assuringly. “I had Kevin, my voice of reason. The person who told me it was for the best, that as hard as it was to figure out in my head it was probably a blessing in disguise. Then my family issues ended up being the perfect cover for the real reason I was depressed and ended up trying to destroy myself.”

I couldn’t stay in that room a moment longer, it was suffocating me, the weight of everything bearing down on me and hashing up old feelings of guilt and anger. Without a word, I stood, stepping over Howie’s knees to get away from the situation. I needed to find Marki and make sure she was okay.

“Nick, I’m so sorry.” Kevin called out to me. “I know it’s not an excuse but you have to remember that I was really young then, too. I’d never been in a position where I had someone looking up to me the way you did and I didn’t realize the magnitude of what was happening. The things I told you then, as an idiot in my early 20’s who thought he was a god, is nothing like what I would tell you today in that same situation.”

“I know,” I said with a sigh. “It doesn’t matter anymore.”

Before I could walk out to find Marki, she reappeared in the doorway. Her face didn’t look too different from my own, red and puffy. Her arms were crossed tightly across her chest and I knew that she was trying to control her emotions.

“It was really busy out there,” she said, explaining why she’d come back. “I wanted to stay out of the way. Did you tell them?”

“I’m so sorry,” Brian said. “That must have been so heartbreaking only having those few moments before he passed, I can’t imagine what you went through.”

“Except I didn’t really get any moments,” she said.

I looked at her with a mixture of surprise and sadness, “What are you talking about? I sat with you in that depressing-as-fuck hospital room for four fucking hours while you held him and said goodbye. You had moments.”

“No, I had goodbyes. I never even got to look at him while he was alive. The whole 13 minutes that he was alive I stared at your back. Then by the time I got to see him he was gone. You got moments.”

“This is the first I’ve ever heard this bullshit,” I muttered. “It was seventeen years ago, you’re not over it yet?”

“No! I’m not over it yet!” she yelled and I jumped back in surprise by her sudden outburst. Truthfully, Marki and I had avoided discussing the entire situation after it happened. We’d tried over and over again to repair our relationship and move forward without having an adult conversation about it but moments like this would always end up happening, bringing us right back to the start.

“My entire world ended that day. You got to leave and go back on tour and be a big fucking star and have all of your dreams come true and I got to pick out a casket for our baby at 16-years-old then try to put my life back on track. That day changed me forever and I haven’t gone a single day since without thinking about how unfair it was that I did all that work, that I sacrificed so much and got nothing in return but decades of guilt and resentment.

“I never got to see if he had your eyes, or blonde hair, or your big stupid nose. I never got to see him smile, I never got to feel him breathe or feel his heartbeat - but you did! I remember days after you left, my mother had to remind me to breathe because it hurt so much and I felt so awful that I couldn’t even remember to fucking inhale. I couldn’t watch normal people do normal things anymore and I fucking hated you for getting to be special. That’s why this needs to end. I need to get rid of you so I can get over it.”

I didn’t want to have this discussion in front of my bandmates but they had seen the two of us have big blowout fights over the years over much more petty topics. We had been on-again then off-again so many times it wasn’t a big deal to them to see us fighting, usually over me cheating. They had just assumed it was typical of my revolving door of girlfriends.

“Guys, can you give us the room?” I asked graciously.

“No, they deserve to know who you are.”

“Marki, come on,” AJ tried to plead with her. “This is your business, not ours.”

“You guys don’t even know this man. This person standing here pretending to be your best friend, your brother, is a complete fraud.”

“Hey!” I snapped, grabbing her by the wrist in an effort to stop her diatribe. “I get we have a lot of shit, I get we have a lot of baggage and we need to hammer it out but don’t try and badmouth me to my friends. Especially after you just tried to publicly humiliate me in front of my fans.”

A small amount of anger left her tense shoulders and she relaxed enough that her wrist slipped away from my hand. “They didn’t even know you were married, Nick. They didn’t know about…”

“You can say his name.”

“I don’t want to,” she said.

The quiet was enough of a signal for the others to leave the room and soon we were alone. The awkward silence not unlike the one I’d felt on the day we’d gotten married and I had a strange feeling that by the end of it, that same silence would finally bring us to divorce.

Chapter 10 by Julilly
Author's Notes:
Well folks...this is it! The end of the road. Thanks for reading along. Be sure to vote for It's Complicated to be next month's featured story if you haven't already - here

With a heavy sigh, I went back to the couch and the same seat I’d been in before. Admittedly, our relationship was fucked up and it was mostly my fault. By my late teens I was already drinking heavily, doing drugs and putting way too much work into all the wrong projects in a desperate effort to stay away from home.

When I’d relocated from Florida to California, Marki had come with me. One thing she could never say about me is that I hadn’t fulfilled that very first promise to provide for her. For as long as I had been making money she had never been for want of anything. She became a professional student, taking as many varied and interesting university courses as she could find to keep her busy, but she never really had to work. She volunteered and sat on a bunch of committees but didn’t need an income because she had me.

It wasn’t that she was a leech, not by any means. I encouraged her to spend money on herself and buy the things she wanted because we were in a position where she could and I felt like I owed it to her. After all, what’s mine was hers, she was legally entitled to half of it.

Many times she had wanted to get a job, always sure that we were going to break up and she was going to be left without any real work experience. I always assured her that even if we got divorced, she would end up with enough of a settlement or alimony to leave her very comfortable. Besides, it wasn’t convenient for me that she be tied to a job. When we were on-again I expected her to be on tour with me or wherever I was at the time and she never really had much warning when on-again would be.

I suppose it would have been impossible for the guys to guess that we were married. Even Kevin, who knew about the marriage initially, had assumed we’d gotten divorced after the baby because I had so many girlfriends. What they did know was that that Marki and I had a complicated relationship and that we somehow kept ending up back in each other’s arms, and each other’s beds, even though they felt we probably should have left it alone.

After a while, when my drug use got really bad and I was completely out of control, Marki had given me an ultimatum - shape up, or ship out. I chose to go on a bender and fuck Paris Hilton. A few days later when I finally sobered up enough to leave Paris’ house, I found out Marki had moved out of our house and back to Nashville.

There weren’t many people who didn’t know how the Paris fiasco ended. After that I let myself fall deeper and deeper into a spiral of destruction until I finally hit the bottom. I soon found myself in Tennessee, kneeling in front of the door of a house I had paid for but didn’t even have a key to, in tears, begging for Marki’s help. She could have shut the door in my face that night but instead she brought me in and tried to help me get clean.

I owed my life to her in so many ways and I repaid her with one relapse, then another and so much more infidelity. One day, after a TMZ camera man had caught me drinking rum straight out of the bottle and doing body shots off a porn star in a Hollywood nightclub, I showed up at the house I’d paid for but didn’t even have a key to and a lawyer was there to greet me.

That was the first time I’d been given divorce papers. I ripped them up on the spot and threw them back in the guy’s face. Another set followed those and eventually it became a game for me to see how many times I could destroy a legal document before she would be forced to speak to me. We drifted apart over time, still together but living lives more separate than they’d ever been before.

I bought another house in Tennessee in the hopes that I would see her from time to time (once I was sure I saw her outside of a Starbucks) but I ultimately spent most of my time in L.A. with whatever girl I was dating. I was haunted by Marki though, seeing her and hearing her everywhere I went, at every soundcheck party, at every nightclub and even when I closed my eyes at night, until today when she was really there.

“That stunt you pulled today was not cool,” I said as she took the seat next to me on the couch.

“It’s not that different from the stunts you’ve been pulling for years, you know.”

“Why do you hate me so much? There is nothing I haven’t given you!”

She laughed deep from her belly, throwing her head back as if I’d just told the world’s funniest joke. “Are you kidding me? All I’ve asked you for in the last four years has been your signature and my freedom and you refuse to give me either of those things.”

“Don’t laugh at me like I’m some kind of idiot. You’ve got everything you could ever want, you are provided for just like I told your parents I would.”

“I appreciate that, I really do, but like you’ve told me many times before, I’ll be living off your money whether we’re married or not so you providing for me isn’t a reason to draw out this dead end marriage.”

This time it was my turn to scoff, “Dead end? I have been trying to make this work. I’ve offered to bring you to therapy with me!”

“You can’t save everything, Nick. What we had is over and we’ve beaten that dead horse over and over again for so many years. I spent the last part of my teens and all of my twenties pining for you, waiting for you to see what was right in front of you but you were more interested in sleeping around and snorting your money away.”

“I’m not that guy anymore, you know that!”

“I know you’ve changed. You’ve done so well at turning your life around but that’s not the problem. The problem is that I’m not that girl anymore. I wanted to have kids and and a family but now I’m in my thirties and my husband lives with another woman on the other side of the country.”

I leaned back on the couch and ran my hands through my hair in frustration. Losing was by far my least favourite feeling and I could feel it creeping up on me. “She and I broke up. It’s not too late for us to have those things.”

“I know you broke up, she told me.”

I froze, slowly rolling my head to the side so I could see from her expression whether she was bullshitting me. I couldn’t believe the words.

“She emailed me after you broke up with her and said you called it off because you couldn’t give her a future, she wanted to know if I was serious about the divorce and suggested now might be a good time to talk to you about it. She was the one who got me the VIP hook up.”

“That fucking bitch,” I said and Marki’s eyes went wide with shock. I hadn’t broken up with my latest flame because there was anything I couldn’t give her, it was because there was nothing I wanted to give her. I told her point blank that I was still in love with my wife and had made a decision that I couldn’t keep ignoring the divorce papers and needed to find a way to win her back again which meant I couldn’t be in any more extramarital relationships - ever.

“You sure know how to pick ‘em.”

“Look, I mean it when I say it’s not too late for us. Please come to L.A. and go to therapy with me. Just try it for a little while and if a professional says there’s nothing left and we should go our separate ways then I’ll sign the papers.”

Marki sighed heavily and shook her head, “I’m sorry, Nick. I’m done. I need to move on with my life and so do you. All of our memories of being together are depressing. They’re full of death and destruction and anger, I don’t want that anymore.”

“Not all of them,” I argued. “Don’t you remember when we used to lay in the treehouse and just talk about everything that popped into our heads? Or the times we never had to talk at all because we could read each other like books?”

Her expression was soft as she reached out and put her hand against my cheek, “We also started a neighbourhood campaign to have marshmallows put on the food pyramid then, Nick. We were kids. We didn’t know anything but sunshine and rainbows, we hadn’t weathered storms together. Did we have good times after that? Yes, we absolutely did, but we had more bad times. I will always love you, but I feel like I’m wasting my life being in love with you.”

“So you admit you’re still in love with me?”

“Please stop,” she groaned. Reaching into the large black and white striped purse between us on the couch she pulled out a familiar manila envelope and pushed it in my direction.

“I’d do anything for you to reconsider,” I said while moving the envelope from her hand to the coffee table.

Immediately, she picked it back up and pressed it firmly against my chest. “I don’t want you to do anything but sign these.”

The envelope felt thin considering it contained the end of an era. I gripped it tightly in my hand as I stood and started pacing the room. I took five minutes to mentally relive every moment since I’d seen her standing out in the audience during soundcheck. I thought about things I could have said instead of the things I did say and considered if there was anything else I hadn’t said that might make a difference before I made a decision.

“Hand me a pen.”

~~


The boys and I hit the stage like nothing had even happened between soundcheck and the show. Avoidance was a skill that we all had the exceptional ability to harness at both the best of times and the worst. Whether we had shit happening in our personal lives or our business lives, we left it all backstage once the show started.

“Hey Brian,” I called out and my friend turned away from his wife and son with a curious glance. We were just about to head to the vans and head back to the hotel and typically at that point in the night we weren’t up for much more than quietly ignoring each other until morning.

“What’s up?” he asked as he jogged over to me.

My weight shifted from side to side as I briefly considered whether or not I even wanted to divulge this information but I figured since so much of my secret alter ego had been bared already that day, I might as well keep going.

“His name was Thomas.”

“What?” he asked, a confused look passing across his face fleetingly.

“The baby, his name was Thomas. After you.”

He gasped and grabbed my shoulder, “What? Why would you have done that?”

“They needed a name on the paperwork and at first we were going to wait. Marki wanted to name him Nickolas but I wasn’t cool with that at all, especially given the circumstances. So she told me if I could think of a better name, that I could name him so I named him Thomas.

“If you’re waiting for a cheesy, sentimental reason why there isn’t one,” I shrugged. “It just popped into my head. You were my best friend then, you were on my mind at the time and I certainly wasn’t going to name him after Kevin.”

“Are we not best friends now?” he teased, giving me a cheesy grin.

I played coy, “Eh...I’m kind of into Howie now.”

“Well for that, you can ride in his van and listen to him snore the whole way back to the hotel!”

It felt good to laugh. With my bag hiked up on my shoulder, I moved for the door but Brian stopped me.

“Thank you for telling me that, for telling us everything. I’m not saying I’m not pissed at you for keeping that from us all these years, but it’s really put some things into perspective, you know?”

“Do I ever.”

There were just a few leftover fans at the back door of the venue, waiting patiently for a signature or a selfie before we left. I signed a few autographs as my bodyguard directed me toward the second van in line.

“Do you think I could get an autograph?”

I smiled, not surprised to find Marki leaning against the passenger side door of the white minivan where Howie and his family were waiting for me.

“Maybe you’d like a selfie?” I asked, still grinning widely. “I’ll even kiss your cheek.”

“You can kiss my ass is what you can kiss,” she said and I couldn’t keep myself from laughing.

“I’m sorry,” I said, trying to keep a straight face but failing.

She angrily shook a set of white papers in her hand, the envelope discarded. “I knew I shouldn’t have trusted you and should have checked these before I left.”

“You watched me sign it!”

Though she was trying to look pissed off, I knew deep down she was a bit amused. “I watched you write on it,” she said, flipping the pages to where my handwriting appeared. “On the signature line you signed the name Nick Watson.”

“Did I?” I asked ignorantly. “That’s an easy mistake, I mean your name was right next to mine and it says Watson, not Carter and stupid me, I thought we had the same last name. Blonde moment, my bad.”

Rolling her eyes, she flipped to another page, this one covered in various coloured tabs, “I might have been willing to believe you were that dumb if I hadn’t already seen the initial page. You closed all the c’s so it just says NO in every box. I know you think you’re being cute, but this isn’t funny. We just talked about this.”

“I’m pretty cute,” I said with a smirk but when it was clear she wasn’t playing along, I sighed and took the papers from her hands. “Come to therapy with me.”

“Not this again,” she groaned, throwing her hands up out of frustration.

“Look…” I said, pausing for a moment to collect my thoughts.

I wasn’t really great at putting together what I wanted to say in exactly the right way without going over it a few times to make sure it was right. She didn’t understand where I was coming from, why I had been avoiding our inevitable breakup even though we had both moved on from each other on different occasions.

“You’re one of….no. You’re the only woman left in my life that has loved me since before I was a commodity. Everyone else knows me as Nick Carter - millionaire pop star. Sure, I’ve had lots of great lady friends but you fell in love with me before I had money, before I had fame, when my clothes were from the Salvation Army, my dad beat up on me all the time and my mom still sorta gave a shit about me. You’re my north star, the one constant thing in my life.

“You are the only person who knows the things I went through to get where I am right now. I just can’t bring myself to walk away from that. Any woman I’ve been with, I never know whether she’s just with me for my money, or whether she wants my connections for her own career. You’re the only one who I know with absolute certainty genuinely loves me.”

Marki sighed and anxiously tugged on the end of her long ponytail. I knew I was winning her over so I continued before she could contest what I was telling her.

“This is my exchange. Come to therapy with me for one month, that’s all I’m asking for, one more month. That should feel like nothing given all the time you’ve already been waiting for me to sign these. I swear, I will show you that I am a different person and we can hash out anything you want to. Just give this one more chance, for Thomas. If at the end of the month you still feel as strongly as you do today that this is over, then I’ll sign the papers.”

“As if you’d use him against me,” she muttered. I tapped the papers against my hand anxiously waiting for her answer.

“Oh for the love of god, give him the month so that I can go back to the hotel and go to sleep!” Howie called out from the back of the van and I couldn’t stop myself from grinning.

Marki’s face also reluctantly broke into a smile and she quickly waved through the van window. “Sorry Howie,” she said before turning back to me. She held up one finger, “One month.”

“Great,” I smiled and stuffed the papers into my backpack so I could dispose of them back at the hotel. “I don’t actually have a month off any time soon, though.”

“Damnit, Nick! That is so typical,” she said, shaking her head in frustration. Grabbing the van door, she swung it open, motioning for me to get in.

“I guess it’ll be therapy on the road then?”

“Not on my bus!”

Laughing at Howie’s protest I tossed myself into the seat in front of my bandmate and his wife and looked back to the door, holding out my hand for Marki to join us. For a split second I knew she was reconsidering it but before she could let go of the side of the van, I stretched as long as my arm would take me and grabbed her hand.

“We better be going somewhere interesting,” she told me, climbing inside.

“Oh yeah,” I assured her, winding my fingers through hers in spite of the fact that she kept trying to pull away. “Tomorrow morning we’re getting on a plane and heading somewhere very exotic for two days. The locals call it the City of Angels and it’s in the land of Cali-for-ni-a. You’re gonna love it, they’ve got stuff.”

“Please take this month seriously, Nick.”

“It’s you and me all the way, baby.”

“I’ll hold you to that.”

End Notes:

Special thanks to Steph (sakabelle) for being the greatest beta reader ever and supporting me in getting this one out of my head and onto the page.

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11339