Event Horizon by Aura Sandoval
Summary: Event Horizon: A threshold in time beyond which everything is different. Winner of the Dark Sky Season Two Awards AJ McLean Prize for Most Original Story. And yes I am well aware of the fact that I SUCK at summaries. Why don't you read and come up with a better one? :-D
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group
Genres: Alternate Universe
Warnings: Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: No Word count: 19006 Read: 21235 Published: 01/22/04 Updated: 01/22/04

1. One by Aura Sandoval

2. Two by Aura Sandoval

3. Three by Aura Sandoval

4. Four by Aura Sandoval

5. Five by Aura Sandoval

6. Six by Aura Sandoval

7. Seven by Aura Sandoval

8. Eight by Aura Sandoval

9. Nine by Aura Sandoval

10. Ten by Aura Sandoval

11. Eleven by Aura Sandoval

12. Twelve by Aura Sandoval

13. Thirteen by Aura Sandoval

14. Fourteen by Aura Sandoval

15. Fifteen by Aura Sandoval

One by Aura Sandoval
Disclaimer: *sigh* Don't own them ... d*amn. Not making any money off this either. Actually I'm just not making any money at all ... double d*mn!!! This is written with the intent to amuse and distract the batallions of BSB fans of the world, and not to offend, tick off, bugg, annoy, or otherwise upset anyone. *looks around* Everybody happy? :-D

A/N: Hey all!!! Yeah I know, this story (and myself) just kind of dissapeared there didn't we? Sorry, two reasons, one is very personal and the other is because of the first one and that is writer's block. You all know what I'm talking about. Anyway, this is the new, updated version. First 12 chapters I don't think changed much, took a little bit out here and there. NOW PLEASE READ AND REVIEW!!! Yes I know I'm doing the annoying begging-for-feedback thing, but I just have too. My fanfics are what I use to hone and practise my craft, and I can't know if I'm doing it right or improving at all if you don't tell ... you digg?

Dedication: To Louise, who is not forgotton, always appreciated, just misplaced along the way. I will find you again my friend.

Chapter 1

"Hey AJ, will ya hurry it up in there with that burger. This gentleman isn’t gonna wait for you forever you know!"

"Yeah yeah yeah!" AJ called back. "Don’t get your panties in a twist I’m done with it!"

"Oh don’t try me you little punk. I can find a hundred other little snots who can burn a burger just as bad as you."

AJ really hated that man. Really hated him with every fiber of his being. I wouldn’t be here if I had a choice you asshole! He thought bitterly. Not if I had a choice. He heard the front door open again. What is it in this city? There’s always someone wanting food just before closing time! A few minutes later Roy called the new customers’ order. AJ thought the old bastard sounded rather … subdued. Interesting…

A moment later he caught a glimpse of the customer … and then took another look. The man was tall. Very tall. And dark. And quiet. He seemed to move only when absolutely necessary, and even then with an economy that gave him an almost mystical quality. Like those people that you read about in pulp fiction that only come out at night and scare the be-jeepers out of everybody they meet. Then he caught a glimpse of the strangers’ eyes and immediately regretted his analogy. The stranger had piercing eyes. They seemed to shine with an inner light, and AJ had the extremely uncomfortable feeling that those eyes could see right through you. He ducked behind the counter, hoping the stranger wouldn’t still be looking at him when he popped his head out again.

He finished the order in record time, for a change, and Roy seemed grateful for that. Apparently AJ wasn’t the only one feeling nervous in the stranger’s presence. The stranger accepted the package and thanked them in what AJ thought was a deceptively quiet voice. Roy let out a sigh of relief when the stranger left the shop. "Wo-oh," was all AJ could think of to say.

"Well what are you waiting for? Some of us have an actual home to go to! Get cleaning!" Roy seemed determined to regain the composure he had lost to the stranger by screaming at AJ all the time it that took him to clean the kitchen. "That’s it, that’s it! Clean you little shit! If this place isn’t spotless you needn’t bother coming back tomorrow. Then we’ll see how long you’ll survive!"
How he hated that man! AJ cursed the fates that had brought him to this place. Why did this have to be his life? "Uh … Roy? You still owe me this week’s wages …" He hated to have to cower to the bastard, but he had no choice. What little money he did manage to get together came mostly from him. But he always made it seem like you were stealing from him, no matter how much you worked.

"Excuse me? What did you say? Did you just dare to ask me for money? I hope not, because I don’t seem to remember owing you any money."
"What?" AJ cried. "You don’t owe me any money? I’ve worked my ass off and you haven’t paid me full wage in month!"

"Really? A month huh? Well that must be because of all the orders your late with, or all the orders you burned. Or for the utensils and shit that keeps disappearing from the kitchen. Or the cleaning you never do properly!" Roy sprayed spittle on AJ as he spoke.

He enjoyed this. He enjoyed torturing me like this! He knew I needed that money! "Roy, that’s not fair! I … never took …" AJ took a breath, "Roy I … I really … I just really need that money. Please?" AJ felt like crying.
"Well that’s just too bad isn’t it? Maybe in the future you’ll work harder and you might actually earn some money heh?" Roy laughed at AJ’s distraught expression. "Little shit! You’ll have to learn some respect first before I give you an inch! And in the meantime you can enjoy you’re little box under the stars! He shoved AJ out the door and slammed it in his face."

************************************

It was bitterly cold outside. One of those cold New York nights when it seemed that the cold reached right into your bones and decided to take up residence there. And AJ was hungry. That was usually a normal state of affairs with him, but tonight’s hunger was worse. It burned!

Well, looks like he didn’t have a choice. Again. AJ hated doing this, but he was hungry and he needed to eat. He felt like his insides were devouring themselves. He went to his usual spot, and then took up the wait. He knew well what to watch for by now. A woman walking by herself. With a handbag. He always made sure to pick only what looked like rich women. Women who could afford to loose a few bucks. After what seemed like forever he saw what he thought looked like the perfect target.

She was an oldish woman. Dressed smartly, she walked with an easy confidence that implied she was very comfortable in this world. I’m happy for you, AJ thought, but I’m still gonna have to do this. He started walking after her, slowly catching up. He kept his distance until he saw her moving into an ebb in the continuous flow of people on the sidewalk. Then he moved in, walking up behind her quickly he grabbed her bag and then ran like hell. He could hear the woman calling for someone to help her, but he didn’t expect to really have a problem. New Yorkers had an amazing lack of interest in helping their fellow citizen.

He ran around a corner into an alleyway. There he stopped and crouched down, quickly emptying the bag to see what money she had on her. Damn! AJ felt like crying again. Only some change that probably didn’t amount to more than a few bucks! At least he could have some bread for a couple of days. Hopefully by that time Roy will have gotten of his high horse and paid him at least something again. After all he wouldn’t want his favorite toy to die of starvation. The purse itself looked like it might be worth something though. AJ decided to keep it too. And having learned the hard way what a bad idea it was, this time he decided not too leave the credit cards behind, instead leaving them in the purse. Further examining it’s contents he found a necklace with a very interesting design. The metal was of a kind he had never seen before, which didn’t really surprise him. His contact with objects of wealth being as limited as it was. He dropped the necklace in his pocket, dumped the handbag among the crates nearby he left the alley at the opposite end.

After stopping by a Seven-Eleven AJ made his way to the scrap yard he called home. The bitterly cold wind sighed through the old wrecks. Somewhere a panel flapped, slap-slapping offbeat. AJ’s little haven was in one of the back rows, the older rows. No one ever came there anymore, and he had some peace and safety. Some, but not complete.

Lost in thought he never heard the footsteps coming up from behind him. He only realized the danger when they grabbed him and threw him to the ground. Oh shit oh shit oh shit! He thought frantically as he fought to regain his feet. But it was too late, and too many rough hands pushed him down.

"Well if it ain’t little boy AJ. What have you got there little AJ, hmm? Some supper? Ah, you really shouldn’t have."

For the third time that night AJ felt like crying. The voice belonged to the man he dreaded most. Or not man. Animal. Haltingly he said: "Please! I gave you everything I had last week. I have nothing more. I … I haven’t eaten much in days! Please, … please don’t …"

"Ah poor baby! Lookie ‘im. Is little boy AJ gonna put up his fists and punch my nose? Is he gonna run home to Mommy and cry boo-hoo? Oh, I’m sorry, I forgot! You’re mommy is a crack whore who liked to put her cigarettes out on you, isn’t she? And no-one knows what bastard spurted you out."
AJ tried to get up, but he only got as far as his knees before he received the expected kick to the ribs. He couldn’t believe how weak he felt. It was a cold weakness, as if lead instead of blood flowed through his veins. He breathed in short, shallow gasps – only partly because of the pain. He felt the saltwater well up in his eyes, a sharp pain of shame stabbing through him. He still clutched the bag with the precious bread tightly in his right hand. Too late he realized what a bad idea that was.

The animal’s work-boot came crashing down on AJ’s hand, crushing the fragile bones. AJ’s cry was silenced by yet another kick to the ribs. "Well, don’t mind if I do!" Tanner drawled as he picked up the bloodied bag. Before he got up he saw the purse bulging beneath AJ’s over-sized shirt. Roughly he grabbed it, tearing the well-worn fabric. He grasped a handful of AJ’s hair and shoved his face into the cold, stinging mud. "Now listen up little one, if ever I find you trying to sneak by me again without paying toll, then a hand simply will not do."

Mercifully, that was the end of it. AJ lay as still as possible, playing dead, just in case they thought about it again and came back to ‘play’ some more. He waited until the squelching sounds of the hated work boots disappeared around the corner at the end of the path. "No … oh god no…" AJ sobbed, realization that he was in serious trouble dawning on him.

With his good hand he pushed himself up. He examined the damage to his strong hand, and sobbed again. Definitely broken. Now what? I can’t go to a hospital! Finally AJ let the built-up tears flow freely down his cheeks, the pain washing over him in waves. No money, no food, no hope.

***********************************
Two by Aura Sandoval
Chapter 2


“Isn’t it amazing that one can supposedly profile for any eventuality, then get snookered by something as simple as a street kid grabbing a handbag?”

Nick stood just outside the door to the director’s office, clutching the now chaotic brief they requested in his arms. “Oh man … he’s gonna kill me…” he whispered to himself as he listened to what was being said inside.

“Stop looking so amused Tony, this isn’t funny.”

“Actually my dear, it is funny. Very funny. And if it weren’t so serious I would have been rolling on the floor I expect. Where is that boy?”


Ah man! Nick could put facing the music off no longer. He walked into the office as obediently as possible trying to put his feet down just so, careful not to ruffle the carpet, or the Sentinel. “Sorry Sir, … I came quickly but … “

The director silenced him with a wave. Nick turned to leave, trying with all his might not to look at the dark figure standing just off to the corner of the directors’ office. He got as far as the door before the inevitable question:

“Can someone explain to me please; why is there a footprint on page 22 of this brief?”

Three sets of eyes turned to the seemingly shrinking figure of the kid nicknamed Khaos by all who knew him. Nick wished more than ever that the Earth would open up and just swallow him whole. Instead he did the only swallowing as he tried to clear his throat for the explanation. “Well, you see, um … Sir … the thing is … there was a cleaner in the corridor, and he was polishing the floor. And I didn’t see the power cord ‘cause I was in such a hurry. And well … I … tripped.” He knew he sounded like a squirming schoolboy but he couldn’t help it. He could live with the director and his wife glaring at him, but the 3rd set of eyes belonged to the one man he dreaded disappointing more than anyone.

The director sighed, and then chuckled. “Oh Khaos, what in the world are we going to do about you?” He chuckled again, kindly blue eyes sparkling with the perpetual humor the director always seemed to carry with him. “Nick, over in that corner there is a coffee machine. Let’s see how much of the coffee will still be in the mug by the time you get it to my desk.”

“Yes Sir…” Nick squeaked as he turned to perform the requested task. This time both the director and his wife laughed. The Sentinel remained silent, as is his custom.

“Back to business. Now, it is merely a matter of time before Fido finds the sample and leads us to the misguided individual who had the misfortune of picking my wife to rob. The question is what do we do when we get there? There’s no telling right now if he is involved with the Order or if he’s just really unlucky. Charlotte, can you give us any description of the thief, just in case we track him to a crowded place?”

“He was filthy, scrubby and he smelled.”

Nick snorted from the corner of the room, unable to stop himself.

“My sentiments exactly. Sentinel it looks like you might want to take a real Fido along for this assignment.” The dark man ran his fingers along his eyebrow, the only sign of amusement Tony knew he was going to get.

“Tony … “

“I know, I know. This is serious. But Sentinel can’t exactly go around sniffing street kids until he finds the one with the right aroma now can he? We need something a little more … physically descriptive …”

Mrs. Keating sighed in exasperation. Her husband probably couldn’t be completely serious if she told him she had swallowed a photon trigger. “All right, more physically descriptive. He was about 5’6”; he had on an oversized black tanktop and camouflage pants, also oversized. He wore a bandanna on his head and I may be mistaken but it looked like he had blond hair. And he had tattoos all over his arms.”

“Hmmm … doesn’t sound like a member of the Order unless they’ve taken to “blending in with the natives” as a tactic.”

“No.”

It was the first word the dark figure had uttered all night.

“I do not believe he is part of the Order. And I do not believe that they hired him either. It would be against their doctrine to either have someone of that description in their ranks or have any involvement with an openly individualistic person. I believe that this is no more than a random act of crime.”

“Ouch damnit!” Nick’s outcry was in stark contrast to the Sentinel’s deep, soothing voice. “Oops … sorry … Sir. I just … burned … myself.”

For the second time that night the director and his wife had a good laugh thanks to the blond. Sentinel, however, just looked at the kid, shaking his head.

Nick was saved from further scrutiny by a knock on the door. He couldn’t help sighing in relief as he saw the figure entering the office.

“Mr. Litrell, please oh please tell me you have something good to report.”

“Actually Sir you are in luck. I have two good things to report. Firstly, it seems that the little thief saved us a lot of troubles when he grabbed Nan … err … Mrs. Keating’s bag. Apparently an Order runner grabbed the bag of a woman who closely matches her description not too long after.”

Tony Keating couldn’t help himself; he laughed out loud yet again. This time, though, even his wife couldn’t resist a good chuckle herself. “Providence I tell you, there is a lot to be said for it!”

Sentinel merely rolled his eyes, running a finger along his brow.

Brian continued: “And the other good thing is that Fido has tracked our hapless pickpocket. Long and lats already programmed into this GPS.” He handed the unit directly to Sentinel, smiling a familiar smile to the tall man.

The director looked at Sentinel, knowing no words were needed.

***********************************
Three by Aura Sandoval
Chapter 3


“I disappointed Kevin again.” Nick said, his shoulders sagging in dejection.

Brian asked as they entered his small office on the side of the main communications center. “Why do you say that?”

“I made a complete mess of even this small task! All I was supposed to do was take the Stage 1 brief to Mr. Keating’s office, but then … first I tripped over a power cord, sending all the papers in it flying all over the place. Then I managed to step on some of the pages leaving delightful tread marks on them. Then I gathered them up and realized too late that I should check the order. So then I get to the director’s office later than I was expected! It was a gigantic f…”

“Nick!”

“Sorry Bri, but it’s the closest description I can think of.”

“Yes well keep it to yourself.” Brian smiled though, taking the sting out of his words. “Did Kev say anything?”

Nick rolled his eyes towards the smaller blond, his expression almost screaming: Duh!

Brian laughed. “Sorry, stupid question! But, look, don’t worry about it, okay? I mean, you live with the man, if he didn’t want you around he’d have thrown you out the window by now.”

“But I piss him off, I can see it!”

“Nick!”

“Sorry! But I do, and don’t tell me you don’t see it too!”

Brian sighed. There probably wasn’t a more odd couple in the world than his cousin and the young man before him. “Nick, listen to me. Kevin cares about you. You’d have to single-handedly be responsible for the destruction of Earth before he would even have a tiny thought of turning from you, okay?”

It was Nick’s turn to sigh. “I guess. I just wish I wasn’t always so … awkward around him. It’s like my normal clumsiness multiplies by about a hundred every time I’m around him. And I can’t speak properly either, which makes me feel like a complete idiot!”

Brian chuckled at his best friend’s exasperation. “Sorry, but I can’t help it. Listen, Kevin scares everyone, okay? Even me, sometimes. And you feel like you owe him the world, of course it’ll make you nervous…”

“Brian you know as well as I do: I do owe him the world. My whole world!”

“You…” He fell silent as he heard the door open. The black-gloved hand of his cousin pushed the door open. Brian looked over to Nick, and saw the sinking expression on his face.

The man known to all but his closest relations as Sentinel walked up to them, he’s trademark graceful movement making him seem like a phantom almost, dressed in black as he was. “Brian did you contact the support units?”

“Err … no, not yet. I was just about to.” Brian realized too late that he was squirming, and cast a quick glance over to Nick, just in time to see his amused grin.

“You do realize time is a luxury we do not have at this time?”

“Yes, sorry. I’ll get right on it.” Brian turned away quickly, mentally kicking himself for reacting the way he did. Nick’s nervousness seems to be contagious!

Nick tried to clear his throat, feeling little success for his efforts. “Ah … Kevin? I’m sorry for … you know … the mess I made of the brief.”

Kevin turned to Nick, nodding his head a fraction and momentarily closing his emerald eyes. Apology accepted.

Nick realized, bizarrely, that he wanted nothing more at that moment than a hug. From Kevin.

Brian came walking back, confidence back in his step. “Alright, all set. Teams 1 through 3 will meet you at the rendezvous point.”

“Thank you.” Kevin turned and walked out.

Brian looked over at Nick. “Well.”

“What?”

“I see your head is still attached.”

“Oh funny, real funny.”

*************************************
Four by Aura Sandoval
Chapter 4


Dawn started creeping into the navy blue of the night sky. AJ was still awake, the pain in his hand screaming. Cold and the lack of painkillers making him gasp for every breath. AJ had known pain in his short life, and plenty off it. But this was something else. This pain came from the inside as well as the outside. Tears still flowed steadily from his eyes, though he was hardly aware of them. Thoughts of suicide and death kept swirling through his mind.

Time to get up though. As he raised himself up to his elbow, a wave of dizziness washed over him. The burning in his stomach, he realized, was matching the pain in his hand, throb for agonizing throb. Starvation or excessive pain? Anyone wanna place bets on which was gonna win the race to do me in?

He crawled out of the overturned Buick, his tiny port in the storm. He had to get to work; he had to try and please Roy so that he would pay him at least a little. Hopefully enough for some bread and some painkillers. AJ realized all too well that what he really needed was a doctor. But he had no money, for one. And if he tried to take even ten minutes of work Roy would either fire him, or refuse to pay him for another week. For another fleeting moment the thought of suicide slid through his mind. How peaceful it would be, no pain, no hunger, no rejection and no loneliness.

It was only when AJ finally managed to get to his feet outside the wrecked Buick that he noticed the dark figure standing at the end of the path. The man stood stock still, his eyes locked on their target. Fear rushed through AJ, completely replacing pain as the foremost thought on his mind. Oh God … Oh God … Oh God … please … no more. No more. Please God, good God, merciful God … please help me. Save me … please no more …

The figure at the end of the path did not move. AJ’s mind raced, but he could come up with no escapes. He thought about running, but he knew in his state he would probably not get a hundred feet before the dark man ran him down. Something about the way he stood there made AJ think of a cat. That thought caused a spark in his mind. Something about this man seemed familiar. It took a few more minutes for AJ to realize that the man at the end of the path made him think of the man in the shop last night. But it couldn’t be, could it? Because if it was the man of the shop last night, then my life is over. If it was the man of the shop then he must have seen me, decided that I was the perfect candidate for whatever he had in mind, followed me here and then waited for me to show myself.

How could I have been so stupid! I knew I should have looked for Tanner and his gang before I got out, but I didn’t. And if I did then I would have seen this guy and I could have gotten away, or stayed in hiding!


AJ decided that running, no matter what the possible outcome, was the only way he had a chance of getting away from the man. Besides, he knew this junkyard like the back of his own hand. He might have a chance. AJ turned to flee in the other direction, but stopped in his tracks when he saw six men with guns blocking the way. All six had guns and all the guns were pointing right at him.

He turned back to the dark man at the opposite side of the path. He still hadn’t move. AJ felt the now familiar leaded weakness flow once more in his blood as he realized he was trapped. He watched with defeated eyes as a dark van pulled up behind the dark man, seemingly a signal because then he began to move. As he came closer AJ realized that it really was the man from the shop. His knees began to grow week, but before he could fall to the ground he was grabbed from behind. He had never even realized the six men from the other end had also begun to move in his direction. Now they grabbed him roughly and threw his back against the rusted car wreck.

Pain shot through his body as one man grabbed his right hand and held it against the car, momentarily blocking out all vision as his mind raced to cope with the searing nerves in his hand, unwilling to let him pass out. Somehow AJ sensed that passing out now would be a really bad idea. When his vision cleared he saw that the dark man had almost reached him, and that the van that had followed him closely, had now been joined by a second. Both were blocking him in.

Panic absorbed AJ and suddenly he tried with all his might to break free. He twisted and turned every way, momentarily oblivious to the pain in his hand. But no matter what he tried, there were always yet more hands to grab hold of him and force him into submission. Story of my life, he thought miserably. Finally his strength gave out, and he was pinned to the ground.

One of the six men knelt down in front of him. “Struggling further will only put me in a bad mood. So co-operate now and maybe we won’t put you in the hospital, understood?”

AJ nodded his head, unable to get a sound past the growing knob in his throat.

“Alrighty then. Now, you have something that belongs to us. Something we’d really like to have back. Where is it?”

AJ swallowed, completely at a loss. “I … don’t … know … what … you … mean. I have nothing…”

“Now that’s not giving me co-operation now is it? You took it from us last night and we want it back.”

Last night…? The handbag? “The handbag I … took last … night?”

“Yes!” The man said; the word dipped in sarcasm. “Where is it?”

“I don’t have it. I threw it away…” The man leaned forward. “I didn’t keep it, I only took the purse from it I swear!” AJ started gasping for breath again. All this for a handbag?

“Well the handbag is one thing. But there is something else missing as well. A necklace?”

AJ sighed in relief, that at least he could give the man. But then saw the man cock his gun, and new fear washed through him. All this for a mere necklace? “I … I have the necklace. It’s … um … it’s in my back pocket.”

The two men holding him back suddenly pulled him forward and double him over. That’s when AJ realized that there really was damage to his ribs from the kick he received yesterday as well. The men searched his back pockets, feeling around with no shame at all. AJ, however, burned with embarrassment. Finally the man on his left found the necklace and handed it to the man in front of him. He in turn handed it to the dark man who had come to a halt a few feet away. AJ looked up at him, but was unable to read his expression.

“Now there is the small remaining matter of the missing purse?” The man in front of him again.

“I don’t have it.” AJ whispered.

“You know, and I just thought we were going to get along.” The man said, pressing the muzzle of his gun against AJ’s forehead.

AJ nearly fainted, and felt the bile rise up in his throat. “Please…” he begged. “Please! I really don’t have it anymore! Someone took it from me last night and I…”

His words seem to have frozen the people surrounding him. Silence hung in the air for a few moments. Then the dark man spoke: “Who did?”

AJ looked up at him, immediately attaching himself to the calm way the man had spoken. Maybe … “It was a guy, his name is Tanner. He always…” A breath, “He always takes things from me.” AJ could hear the heartache and defeat in his own voice. Please let this man be merciful…

The man in front of him grabbed him by the shirt. “And where is this Tanner now?”

AJ swallowed hard. He knew now that there was no escape. “I … can’t … tell … you.”

“What?” the man yelled grabbing AJ’s mangled hand and crushing it.

AJ howled in pain.

*********************************
Five by Aura Sandoval
Chapter 5


“Mr. Nimzicky.” The quiet voice of the dark man filtered through even AJ’s agony.

The man now identified as “Mr. Nimzicky” looked up at the dark man. “Yes Sir?”

“That will be enough.” His tone left the impression that he expected absolutely no argument.

Mr. Nimzicky released AJ’s hand immediately, and stepped away. The dark man stood for a few moments longer, seemingly debating what he should do. A moment later, his mind made up he stepped closer to AJ, and knelt down.

AJ watched, as the dark man looked him over. He had no idea why, and he could not read this man to save his life. Maybe that’s what it would come down to. He saw the man’s startlingly green eyes shift to his broken hand, then back to his face. AJ stared back, straight into the man’s eyes. It felt creepy, because it looked to AJ that the man was reading him like an open book.

“Release him.” He spoke the words in the same no-argument tone as before, and again there was immediate obedience. This worried AJ, a lot.

The man leaned forward and took AJ’s broken hand in his, surprising AJ with it’s gentleness. In a soft voice the man asked: “Did this ‘Tanner’ do this to you?”

AJ nodded his head. He felt like he should say more, but he was unable to speak. The man, though, seemed to need no more words.

The dark man was quiet for a few moments more, again reading AJ’s eyes. “Will you show him to me?”

AJ could swear the man had placed a slight emphasis on the word ‘me’. “I can’t. I’m sorry!” His voice cracked, and he swallowed heard, then tried again. “I’m sorry! If I show him to you … and he got away … and he knew it was me…”

“Shhh, I understand you fear him. A man capable of doing this to another is an animal indeed. But there is something truly important in that purse, and it is paramount that we retrieve it as soon as possible. There is a great deal of danger involved in it not being in our possession.”

The man had a deep, soothing voice. It had a calming effect on AJ and instead of feeling weary AJ welcomed it. He looked down, unable to meet the dark man’s eyes. “I … he’ll hurt me.” AJ felt like a child, and he knew he sounded like one. But right now that was the least of his worries.

“No, he won’t. I will take you to a safe place. Please help us.”

It took AJ’s over-worked mind a moment to realize what the man had truly said. He will take him to a safe place. “Will you take me there even if I don’t help you?” He had to know.

“Yes.”

AJ’s heart stopped when he heard that word. Why? At that moment he didn’t particularly care, he had done some horrible things in the past for a safe place to stay and something to eat, and if that was what was required here and now, then so be it.

“I can’t take you to him. I don’t know where he lives … stays. But … if he thinks that I have something he’ll want, then he will come to find me. He did last night…” AJ’s whispering voice trailed off at that last part.

The dark man nodded his head, understanding. “Very well. In return for your help in finding this man and retrieving the purse, we will not place any charges against you for last night’s transgression.”

He fell silent, expecting an answer. “T-th-thank you.” AJ whispered again.

The man inclined his head than made as to rise. AJ looked up at him, a favor begging to be asked in his eyes. “Sir?” he said tentatively.

“Yes?”

“But … my hand … Sir … if you don’t arrest me then no one will look at my hand …and … and it hurts and I don’t know what to do…” As AJ heard himself speak, a part of him couldn’t believe what he was doing. Asking for help? Are you crazy? And you sound so goddamned pathetic! That last part didn’t phase AJ much anymore; he’d made fair peace with his defeated state.

However, instead of the sneering laugh that AJ expected, the dark man closed his eyes, as if in pain. When he opened them again, AJ felt real hope stir in him for the first time in so long. “I will.” He gently took AJ’s hand again. Then he folded it back against AJ’s chest. “Hold it like this, until we get you to a doctor. It will keep out of harms way there. Can you stand?”

AJ nodded his head, unsure but willing to give it a try. He saw the dark man circle him, and then felt his strong hands hook under his arms to help him up. AJ was very grateful for that, he doubted he’d have made it to his feet on his own. He stood upright for a few seconds, and then felt his head begin to swim. He fell backwards into the arms of the dark man, who was still standing behind him, almost as if he expected this to happen. AJ closed his eyes as his last conscious thought for a while flew through his mind: There is so much I don’t know or understand about this man? Why the hell am I crazy enough to trust him so easily??
Six by Aura Sandoval
Chapter 6


AJ woke up to the strangest sensation imaginable: He was warm. And he didn’t feel any pain. Thank God! Maybe I did finally die … He had heard many times before that the first experience people had of heaven was sharp light. Well, the light in front of my eyes certainly qualifies. But there were noises, too many noises. Or at least too many familiar noises … AJ decided to risk a quick peak …

He opened his eyes to find himself staring straight into deep brown ones.
“Ah, you’re awake! Finally. Good sign too. It’s about time actually.”

What the heck was this guy saying? “Who … where?”

The man with the brown eyes had turned away after he spoke. He started turning back towards AJ when they heard a door open. The man looked in the direction of the door and smiled broadly.

“Hey there. I was just about to call you. The newest addition to your collection has just woken up.” The man, who was apparently the doctor, said with friendly humor in his voice.

“My what?”

AJ sighed with relief as he recognized the measured voice of the dark man.

“You know; the collection of strays you seem to habitually pick up?”

“D?”

“Yes Kevin?”

“Tell me something that won’t inspire my tired mind to through you out the nearest window, or shut up.”

“D” snorted with laughter; apparently unfazed by the man that seemed to frighten everyone else AJ had seen around him.

“Alright, alright! His hand is a real mess. It’s gonna need a lot more treatment before it heals completely. And he has some bruised ribs as well. Looks like our friend here had quite an interesting time before you found him.”

“Don’t tell me, tell him.”

“Huh?” The Doctor “D” looked confused.

“About his injuries. Tell him. It’s his injuries after all.” AJ could swear he heard a slight trace of humor in that measure tone.

Doctor D considered the tall figure in front of him for a while, then spoke: “What’s with you today?”

“Sleep deprivation.”

“Ah! Okay then.” Doctor D turned back to AJ. “You heard all that?”

AJ nodded his head, confused by the banter of the two men.

“D” looked back up. “You see? He knows!”

“D?”

“Yes Kevin?”

“Go find the young man some clothes. And don’t pass by any windows while within arms’ reach of me.”

“Yes Kevin!” A mock salute, and “D” disappeared towards the back of the large room.

AJ looked up at the dark man towering over his bed. “Hi,” he said uncertainly.

A small smile pulled at the corners of the man’s mouth. “Hi, how are you feeling?”
“A little lost, Sir. I don’t know where I am. And weird, Sir. My hand, I haven’t had real care like this for a really long time …” AJ’s voice trailed off.

The dark man, Kevin, AJ corrected himself, nodded his head slightly, understanding in his eyes. “What’s your name?”

“AJ …err … Alexander … McLean.”

The man tilted his head slightly. “The J?”

“Oh … sorry … it’s for James, Sir …”

“Ah.” The man, Kevin, nodded to himself. This time there was no mistaking the friendliness in his eyes. “Well, AJ, my name is Kevin. Kevin Richardson. And the bizarre creature that disappeared around the back there is Howard Dorough. Howie to some, and D. to anyone brave enough to recognize him as an acquaintance in public.”

“I heard that!” Howie called as he came walking back. Empty-handed.

Kevin merely lifted an eyebrow. It was question enough.

“There was nothing back there that would fit him. I called Nick to bring a tracksuit from storage.”

Kevin dropped his head, a definite smile now gracing his face. He ran a finger along his eyebrow as he said: “This could take a while. And several trips.”

Howie snorted with laughter, and AJ felt a tiny smile play across is lips.

“Hey, you wanna try and sit up?”

AJ looked up again at the smiling face of Doctor D and smiled uncertainly. “Sure … I think …”

Howie laughed again as he came round to AJ’s side, helping him sit upright. For a moment AJ’s vision blurred again, and he swayed slightly.

“Hey who-oh. Are you alright?”

AJ shook his head slightly trying to clear it. He smiled more bravely. “Yeah, I think I am.”

“Good, cause I’m not good at cleaning up messes …”

“That’s for sure.” Kevin said.

“Hey!” Howie tried to look insulted. Kevin’s only reply was a look that spoke a thousand words, and all of them amusing.

The loud bang from the door alerted everyone who knew him to Nick’s presence.

“Who-oh, that was fast.” Howie said in mock shock.

“Worrying.” Kevin said in his now recognizable amused fashion. Howie snorted with laughter again.

The first impression that AJ got of “Nick” was of a tall blond haired young man that seemed to move like pure energy: everywhere all at once. AJ found it confusing, it didn’t seem to faze the others however.

“Ah … here you go Kevin. I brought these for …him,” Nick said pointing at AJ, “I hope the fit alright. It’s all I could find.”

“You brought them to Howie.”

“Huh?” I was the blonde’s turn to look confused

“The clothes. He sent you.”

“Oh …”

“Sleep deprivation. Ignore him.” Howie said as he took the clothes from Nick.

“Oh.” The blond said again.

“Shoo you two while I help our new friend into his clothes, alright?”

Kevin inclined his head again and moved to the back of the room. Howie looked at Nick.

“Oh.” Nick moved warily in Kevin’s direction.

As Howie helped AJ into the clothes they had brought him, he thought to himself: Where the heck did I get myself to now. One thing I am good at is reading people. Howie seemed like a real sweet guy and the kid, Nick, seemed all right too. A little nervous, but all right.

But what worried AJ beyond anything is the puzzle that was Kevin. He couldn’t read him at all. From what he had experienced in the last few minutes he’d say that Kevin was a really nice guy. But that was before he saw the very real fear in Nick’s eyes when he looked at Kevin.

*************************
Seven by Aura Sandoval
Chapter 7


Tony Keating jumped several feet in the air.

You’d think, after all the years of being around this guy I’d expect this. But no, oh no. Just have to give the heart the old jumpstart once in a while it seems. You never know …

“For heaven’s sake Sentinel! If you want the directorship couldn’t you just shoot me?”

“Too obvious.” Sentinel deadpanned.

Tony sighed in exasperation. Whenever the dark man was around the control center seemed … smaller somehow. Like his presence filled it up. “My fault for asking. Rather tell me about the condition of the young pickpocket you brought in. Nimzicky reported he was banged up pretty bad.”

Kevin walked over to the map screen, his intense eyes tracing the path of the orbital scanner known as Fido. “His main concern is a shattered hand. A man crushed it with the heel of his work boot. The damage is extensive. He will need a great deal of treatment for it to mend properly. He also has bruised ribs and several serious bruises.”

“Will he co-operate with the search for the purse?”

“He says he will.”

“But you don’t believe him?”

The Sentinel took a moment before answering. Turning around he said: “No, I believe he will help us. I just think he will need extra encouragement. He is genuinely frightened of this man. He will do almost anything to avoid crossing paths with him again. He will need to be assured.”

Tony had seen the look that Sentinel’s eyes now held before. Three times before in fact. “You’ve already taken pity on him, haven’t you?”

Sentinel, the most feared and respected agent in the free world sighed. A sigh that gave a glimpse of the gentle heart at the center of this nearly impenetrable fortress. “He has been through so much. If I can give him some form of safety and comfort, then I will do it.”

Tony smiled. If people only knew the depth of this man … “I’ll trust in your judgement on the matter. But Sentinel, we have very little time. Where is he now?”

Sentinel inclined his head, stating his understanding. “I asked Doctor Dorough to take him to the cafeteria. What news of the Order?” And just like that it was back to business.

Tony walked to the large screen covering one wall. “A funeral notice. Unfortunately not the one we would like to hear. Spotters saw someone, apparently Keric, through a member of the think-trust out the window. Obviously he’s beginning to loose his sense of humor about this. They captured these images,” he said pointing to the screen. The images showed the south side of the impressive white tower that Keric had built to house his think trust. Surrounded by a lush forest it was breathtaking really.

Sentinel walked closer. “This is encouraging.”

“You’ve got to be kidding.”

“Not at all. If Keric is starting to lay blame on the think-trust for plans that fail, then that means he is loosing the absolute faith he had in them. Even if he argues that he has removed the weak link, the seed of doubt has already been sown. He will question and second-guess everything they say from now on. Which gives us the advantage.”

Director Keating thought for a moment. “Well if you put it that way.” He smiled slightly as he turned back to the image on the screen. He stared at the figure of Keric. “Why? Why this? We are standing on the brink of the greatest advance in human history. Why is he doing this?”

“You know why.”

“I know the psycho mumbo-jumbo the reports tell me. I know what he himself says. I want to know what you think.”

“Because he wants to.”

*********************************

Two men were approaching AJ’s table. They were dressed in the same black outfits that the six men who helped capture him in the junkyard did. AJ wondered if they were from that group … team … whatever.

“How’s the hand? Nimzicky squeezed it pretty hard there.”

Well that answers that question …AJ wished Howie didn’t have to leave, and then immediately felt guilty about his selfishness. How could I want him to stay when there’s a medical emergency! “Uh … it’s okay. It’ll be alright.”

“That’s good to hear. He was a bit rough, but in these times you can’t ever be sure anymore. He was just doing what he thought was needed. I’m Balthazar by the way.” The man extended his hand to AJ.

AJ couldn’t help but raise his eyebrows at the name, but he shook the man’s hand awkwardly. The man resembled a bear in more than one uncomfortable way. He was large, not quite as tall as Kevin was but not far off either. “Er … AJ …”

The other man laughed at this. “Just don’t ask him about the name, okay? He gets all touchy!”

“I do not!”

The other man winked at AJ. “See what I mean?” He laughed when he saw the look his partner gave him. “Alright, alright! Hi there, I’m Roger.”

The awkward handshake again. This guy, AJ thought, could really pass for one of those guys you see in a toothpaste ad on TV. He had the healthy look and the light blond hair and that same goofy grin pasted on his face. “Hey.” AJ said rather timidly. He did not feel very comfortable in the presence of either.

“Mind if we join you? Least we can do after this morning’s situation is keep you company until Doc returns.”

“Er … okay. Sure.”

Roger sat down next to AJ, Balthazar taking the opposite chair. He seemed to squeeze a bit to fit and for a fleeting moment AJ wondered how he was going to get up again. It looked like he might get stuck …

“So you have any idea when their gonna take you out again?”

AJ looked up, worried. “Umm … what? What do you mean ‘out’?”

“You know, to catch the other bad guy. You told Sentinel you’d help us get him. That’s not the man you want to upset, believe me.” Balthazar said. His expression one of pure conviction.

“Umm … I don’t know. He didn’t say anything … yet.” AJ looked down at this food for a moment. “Why did you say that? The part about not upsetting K … umm … Sentinel?”

Roger and Balthazar exchanged looks. “Think we should tell him? I mean he has the right to be warned and all …”

Warned? AJ paled a bit at the exchange. “Warned?” AJ whispered.

“Yeah.” Balthazar sighed. “Look kid, right now you’re probably all grateful to him for taking you out of Nimzicky’s hands. But believe me you’d have been far safer with him than you are with Sentinel. Seriously, that guy is bad news. Never ever turn your back on him, know what I mean?”

AJ became upset. “No. No I don’t know what you mean!”

Roger took up the explanation. “Well it’s just that ... Look. It’s not like we don’t respect the man, alright? He is a brilliant agent, and a very honorable man. He would do anything to protect this cause, the company and the people in it. But I do mean anything. You don’t know what that man is capable of. We do, or we suspect anyway. There is only one person who knows more than us, and he’s absolutely terrified of the Sentinel.”

AJ swallowed hard. Out of the frying pan into the fire? Is that how that one goes? The restaurant smells that seemed so pleasant mere minutes ago now threatened suffocate him. “What do you mean? I don’t understand. And who is this person you say … knows?”

Roger answered again. “Well … okay … there was this case we worked on. A terrorist group we were to either shut down, or take out completely. Now these guys were all world-class scum. One day, without warning, Sentinel just decided we were going in right then and there. But when we got there we were ambushed. Only one of us actually made it into the building. That someone was Sentinel. When we finally got through and into the house – everyone in it was dead. Very dead, if you catch my drift. And Sentinel just walked out of the door, with an unconscious young boy in his arms. That poor kid is still traumatized for the experience.”

“The boy is the person that … knows … that saw what he’s ‘capable of’?”

“Yeah. It’s Nick, the young man that does the odd jobs around here.”

*******************************************
Eight by Aura Sandoval
Chapter 8


Brian jumped several feet in the air.

Sentinel smiled at him. “That seems to be happening a lot around here.”

“What?”

“That.”

“Well if you would quit sneaking up on people it wouldn’t happen so much!” Brian said, exasperated. The man keeps doing that! Walking up quietly and then standing still behind you until you turn around. I swear he enjoys scaring peple half to death!

“Well yes it would help if I was sneaking up on people.”

Brian rolled his eyes. “You need sleep,” he stated.

“You noticed. Will you please go find the troupe so we can leave?”

Brian started to leave, then paused at the door to his office. “Does this include the new fella?”

“Yes.”

“Okay, I’ll see you at check-out in a few.” Brian smiled as he walked away. Softy!

**************************************

“Hey there! Miss me?” The friendly smile of Doc Howie greeted the now very troubled AJ.

“You have no idea.”

Howie laughed at this. “People giving you the evil-eye?”

“Rather the evil messages.” AJ sighed as he got up from the table.

“What do you mean?”

“Nothing, it’s nothing. People just trying to scare me I suppose. It’s nothing, really.”

“It’s not nothing if it gives you the expression you currently have on your face. Look, AJ …”

“Hey, are you trying to hide from me or is it your turn to cook tonight?” Brian called as he walked up to them.

“Hey Brian. I was just collecting at the lost and found. I left poor AJ here a little while ago when they called me in, and now it seems some idiot, or idiots, talked nonsense to him that got him all spooked.” Howie said, the last part half directed at Brian, half at AJ.

Brian looked at the young man that was the cause of all the racket for the last day and a half. He saw a young man, not much older than Nick, who had obviously been living through some hard times. The kid was thin as a reed. His eyes looked haunted, and he seemed to be on permanent guard, skittish almost. Like he expected something terrible to happen to him at any moment. The kid looked very tired too. Another one that’ll be turning in early I expect. And Kevin had better turn in early or I’ll just sneak up on him with a hammer. Yeah right, nice delusional thought Littrell.

Brian carefully extended his hand to AJ, moving slowly so as not to startle the young man. He looked like he had taken just about all the strain he could bear for quite a while. “Hey there. Seeing as how Dr. Dorough has forgotten his manners for the moment, I’ll introduce myself. I’m Brian.”

AJ took Brian’s hand with his left, trying to grip it as firmly as he possibly could. He didn’t get very much for his effort. “Hi … pleased to meet you. I’m AJ.”

Brian smiled. “Pleased to meet you too. Now tell me who the interfering creep was so I can sic my cousin on him.”

Howie laughed. “Don’t joke! AJ is in Kevin’s charge now and you know how seriously he takes that!”

“So?” Brian noticed the curious look AJ gave him. “What’s up?”

AJ looked down immediately. “Oh nothing … just umm … you and K … Sentinel … I mean Kevin are … cousins?”

“Yeah. Kevin. Me. Boggles the mind, doesn’t it?” Brian laughed.

Howie had been watching AJ carefully during the conversation. “AJ, this … evil message that you got from ‘people’. It wasn’t by any chance concerning Kevin, was it?”

AJ looked up quickly. “Um … well …”

Brian snorted. “Should have figured.”

AJ looked more stricken by the minute. “I’m sorry! I don’t mean to … I … I …”

“It’s okay! Easy buddy, don’t worry about it. We know. It’s not the first time we’ve been through this one – especially not Brian.” Howie tried to soothe the frightened young man.

“That’s right.” Brian. “Look I don’t know what those idiots told you about Kevin, but please don’t believe any of their nonsense. They like to embellish their stories for their own amusement. Whatever they told you was more than likely only half true, at best.”

Half was bad enough, AJ thought but didn’t say. “Okay. I’m sorry. It’s just, well after this morning and everything I’m just … I guess I just wanna know what I’ve been taken into.”

Howie clapped him on the shoulder. “That’s alright. Don’t worry about it. I can tell you this though; Kevin has taken you in his charge. Believe me when I say that that makes you one of the most protected people on the planet.”

AJ smiled weakly at that. “Okay.”

Brian looked at his watch. “Uh … we better get going. You know the subject of discussion hates waiting. Do you know where Nick is?” he asked of Howie.

“Er … nope.”

“Oooh no …”

*********************************************
Nine by Aura Sandoval
Chapter 9


Twenty minutes later, the troupe of four approached the figure in black very cautiously. Thankfully his back was turned. Brian could take a moment before making their presence known.

Or not.

“Did you get lost?” Sentinel asked without turning his back.

Figures … How to answer … “Er … no we just … AJ wasn’t finished eating yet!” Brian shot AJ a quick look, impeaching him to not contradict.

AJ was fearful of either possibility. Lie to the dark man, or upset Brian and maybe get left to the mercy of Sentinel later. Then he saw the frightened look on Nick’s face, and decided to give the poor kid a break. “Um … yeah … sorry. I … well I’m not used to ... having a lot to eat … and … I’m sorry.” The same slight inclination of the head and closing of his eyes that AJ saw before told him that Sentinel accepted the apology.

“Come along then. It’s been a long day and I suspect AJ wants to get some rest right about now.”

“Um … that’d be great.” AJ was far too afraid by now to ask where they were going. The others followed Kevin without pause. AJ thought it best to just go along with that, and pray for the best.

They made their way to the parking garage, no one saying anything. AJ could sense the tenseness in the air as they piled into Kevin’s green Cherokee. Howie took the front passenger seat, with the rest of them squeezing in the back. Nick looked like he was trying to sink into the seat, huddled behind Kevin. He didn’t look up. He just kept rubbing his hands together. AJ felt bad for him … and scared to death in general.

Eventually they got to Kevin’s building. A drive of 30 excruciating minutes to AJ … and Nick. When they entered Kevin’s apartment, all thoughts abandoned AJ’s over-taxed mind as he took in the opulent surroundings. The apartment was a penthouse, and very tastefully decorated; warm earth tones making it look comforting and cozy. There was an enormous window spanning the entire wall looking out over the city in front of him. To the side wide stairs led to the top floor. Left of the living room a kitchen opened. The apartment seemed to have every comfort, luxury and a little beside that one could think of. And a few, AJ suspected, he had never even heard of.

“Whose on cooking detail tonight?”

“That would be me. And Nick.” Howie answered from the door where he was still hanging his coat.

“Good. Why don’t you two get started with that? Meanwhile, Brian would you please be so kind to prepare a room for our guest?”

“Sure thing.” Brian was hesitant to leave. He cast a quick glance to Nick, trying to reassure him with a quick smile.

“AJ, is there anything back at the junkyard that you would want to collect?”

AJ turned to Kevin, praying that he didn’t look as pale as he felt. “Um … um … Yes. There’s just this one, small metal lock-box. Everything I have is in that. I … I’d really like to get it. If I could …”

Kevin nodded his head, a small smile softening his features. “That won’t be a problem. We intend to go back out tomorrow if possible. Providing you feel up to it. You must understand AJ that this is very urgent. We cannot take our time in this.”

“I … understand. It’s just that … I’m … afraid of … after.”

Kevin turned to him. “What do you mean?”

AJ swallowed, trying to compact his frame as much as possible. “Well … after, Sir. When you have the purse and … well … I’m no longer needed. I don’t know about that. And with Tanner out there and … I …lost my job with all this and …” AJ felt tears stinging his eyes, but didn’t dare wipe at them.

Kevin sighed softly. “AJ, I promised to take care of that. And I will, you need not worry.”

“I’m sorry … I …”

“Need not say another word about it. I understand. Try to believe, please, that you are safe here. And that I have never broken a promise to anyone in my entire life. I will not let you down.”

AJ smiled shyly, not knowing what else to say.

“Do you want anything to drink?” Kevin asked as he turned to walk to the kitchen.

AJ followed him like a lost puppy. “Um … right now cold water would be great.”

Kevin smiled his soft smile again, inclining his head.

The kitchen was in the beginning stages of an enormous mess. AJ wondered if that was what Kevin had been referring to earlier about Howie’s cleaning skills.

“Looks like the refrigerator exploded in here again. Mr. Dorough what on green earth are you attempting?” Kevin said, the amusement of earlier back in his measured voice.

“Paella ala D!” Howie said with a flourish.

“Sounds hazardous.” Kevin deadpanned as he got a glass from the cupboard near the fridge. “AJ, observe where the glasses are. It won’t help you very much though as D over there is an obsessive re-arranger. Half the time I’m not even sure where what is in my own kitchen.”

AJ chuckled at that. He took the glass from Kevin, being extra careful not to drop it.

“Nick be careful!!!!” Howie cried, but it was too late. The pot Nick had had in his hands a moment ago was now on the floor, it’s contents oozing out.

Nick looked at the mess, a stunned expression on his face. He seemed to grow paler with every second that passed. The whole kitchen was dead quiet. Brian was standing at the door, unable to move or say anything. He knew, beyond doubt, that trouble was now imminent.

Kevin walked towards Nick. His pace slow, cat-like. Slowly Nick lifted his head to look at Kevin, his eyes wide and full of terror.

“Nick …”

Hearing his name spoken by the dark man seemed to jolt Nick out of his shock. He fell to the ground, kicking his heels on the floor trying to shove himself as deeply into the corner as he possible could. He threw his arms over his head and screamed: “Don’t hit me! Please! Don’t hit me! I’m sorry! I’m sorry! Please I’m sorry, I’m sorry! Please! Please! Please don’t hit me! I’m sorry!”

**********************************************
Ten by Aura Sandoval
Chapter 10


AJ felt like being sick. The scene before him was playing out like a nightmare, a nightmare from his own past. The man he had trusted so easily earlier that day was now standing, towering over the young Nick who was in the corner begging not to be hurt for something as simple as spilling a pot on the floor. He looked around him and saw that both Howie and Brian had the same, stunned, shocked, frightened look on their faces.

The only one who didn’t seem phased, was the dark man.

He stepped forward, closing in on Nick. As he came nearer Nick tried even harder to push himself into the corner. He pulled his hands against his head, screaming louder. The dark man knelt down in front of Nick. He brought his hands up to Nick’s face, causing a renewed frenzy in Nick’s struggles.

Kevin gently pulled Nick’s hands away and cupped Nick’s chin, lifting his face. He moved both his hands to cradle Nick’s tear-stained face in his large, strong hands. “Nicky, shhh, it’s okay. Shh, it’s okay. Look at me. Look at me Nicky. Try to see. See what’s really around you. Shh, it’s okay, it’s okay. Look at me Nicky, do you see me?” Kevin’s voice was soft and very, very gentle.

AJ watched as Nick’s struggles eased and he looked straight at Kevin. His face crumpled as fresh, but calmer, tears flooded his eyes. “I’m sorry … I’m sorry, …” he whispered as his tears ran over Kevin’s hands.

“Shh, I know. I know. It’s okay Nicky. It’s okay. Don’t be afraid. I won’t hurt you. I won’t hurt you. Shh, it’s okay. Look at me Nicky, it’s alright.” Kevin soothed as he smoothed Nick’s hair back, the gentleness in his movements mesmerizing AJ.

A few minutes later, Kevin turned to look at the shocked ensemble behind him. He locked eyes with AJ, then said: “Howie, please take care of AJ.”

“Y-yes Kevin.” Howie took AJ by the arm and led him out of the kitchen. As they left they heard Kevin speak again. “And Brian, order some take-out.”

*******************************

AJ didn’t say a word as Howie led him upstairs to his room. Only once inside the room, with the door closed, did Howie let go of the breath he had been holding the whole way.

“Ah man … I had no idea … if I did then … I wouldn’t have … ah man …” Howie sighed again, sinking down onto the bed. He rubbed his hands over his face. He looked up again and saw the deathly pale AJ staring at him. His eyes were wide and very, very frightened. “Ah man, …” he said again as he walked over to the younger man.

AJ didn’t seem to register Howie’s arms around him, and Howie had to gently push him to get him to sit down on the bed. Howie sat down beside him, trying to shake him out of his shocked state. “AJ, hey AJ.”

After a few moments AJ lifted his eyes to Howie’s. AJ shook his head, his tongue rebelling against the words he wanted to speak. Only incoherent sounds issued from his mouth.

Howie tried again. “AJ, listen to me. What you saw tonight … what happened down in the kitchen … that doesn’t normally happen. I mean, … “ he sighed again. “AJ, Kevin has never hurt any of us. In any way. He has never hit us, or anything. He has never threatened us, or mistreated us. Or … frightened us out of malice or anger. Nick’s reaction had nothing to do with that.” Howie got off the bed and knelt before AJ. “AJ, Nicky … comes out of a really bad place. He’s been through a lot. The place he came from … there … if you just happened to … I don’t know … breathe in the wrong way, someone would hit you. And hit you hard. That … fear has never left him. And sometimes, like tonight, when he’s really stressed out, the memories just … it’s just like flashbacks, you know? Something happens, and in that instant he seems to think back on what happened before and he … freaks out. Like that.” Howie shook AJ’s shoulders again. “AJ listen to me. You don’t have to be afraid. Kevin has never hurt us. He never, ever will. He’s never, ever hurt Nick in any way. He’s never hit him. Do you hear me?”

AJ looked up, nodding his head slowly. “But … but he … Nick … was so scared. And I saw it earlier too. In the … hospital … thing. Nick looked so afraid of him! Like … I don’t know …”

“I know. Look, I’m gonna let Kevin explain everything about Nick to you. He’ll come later, I’m sure of it. The only thing right now that’s really, really important is that you understand this: You don’t have to be afraid of Kevin. What you saw down in the kitchen … I know it looks bad. But it is very definitely not how it looked. Okay? You’ll understand when Kevin speaks to you later. Please trust me on this. I’ve been living here for a very long time. I trust Kevin with my life, and you can too. Just, right now, be open. And don’t be afraid of him. He won’t hurt you. And don’t be afraid to ask him if you don’t understand, okay?”

AJ nodded his head, once again not knowing what to say. Howie seemed satisfied though. “Okay. Now let’s get you sorted out. It’s been a really long day. And you’ll need a lot of rest to recover all your strength. I know you don’t have any clothes here but don’t worry; I’ll lend you some of mine until we can get you properly organized. And before your mind start spinning again: Don’t think. Right now just trust. It’ll all be okay really soon. Now; see bathroom?”

AJ nodded his head again.

“Good! Have shower!” Howie smiled playfully as he pointed in the direction of the bathroom.

*********************************
Eleven by Aura Sandoval
Chapter 11


There were a few things in his life that could get through to Nick no matter what. One of them was the way Kevin would call him “Nicky”. He loved it. He knew it was childish and even stupid maybe. But he liked it. No one but Kevin ever called him that before, and he hoped no one else ever would. That was his Kevin-name. Only his.

He was still crying, and he didn’t know what to do about it. He was so afraid of telling Kevin what had happened earlier, why they were late getting to the checkout. And he was afraid of not telling him. And he was afraid of disappointing him again, he knew he did that a lot. Like all the time. He didn’t know what to do.

He felt Kevin pulling him close, encircling Nick in his strong arms. There was no place Nick felt safer than right there. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry I made a mess … of everything. I …I don’t know what happened. Or why … I don’t … know,” was all Nick could whisper before a new wave of sobs shook his body.

Kevin held him even tighter, whispering soothing words to him as he smoothed over his hair. Another thing Nick loved about Kevin, he always did that when he was upset and crying. Usually on his shoulder or curled up against him at night. Nick knew he would die if he ever lost that, and he feared more and more these days that that was going to happen. No matter how hard he tried, he always messed up. He knew he disappointed Kevin, and he believed that one of these days Kevin was just going to kick him out, unwilling to put up with his nonsense any longer. This thought made him cry all over again.

“Nicky. It’s okay little brother.” Kevin called him that. His little brother. It made him feel like he belonged. Like he wasn’t alone in the world, that he had family. Why can’t I just get something right for once! I can’t loose this! I can’t loose him! Please, whoever is up there listening! Please help me make things right. Please help me so Kevin won’t make me leave! Please? I don’t want to be alone again! Please? Please?

As Kevin rocked Nick back and forth, his thoughts became lulled by the comforting and took flight back to the first time he saw Kevin.

The man, bastard, had just left me. I was bleeding again. By that time I knew the drill. I started to crawl to the corner where my washbasin was. My hand froze in mid-reach as I saw the stranger looking at me through the window. I had no idea how he had managed to get that close, but right then it didn’t matter. He must have seen. He must have. I had never thought that my shame could grow any stronger, but in that moment it did. The man looking at me looked like the noblest man ever. Even holding onto a branch in the tree he had used to climb so high. And he looked dangerous. He held there, quietly observing Nick, as Nick was staring at him. He hung there for a few moments more and then like a glimmer of light he was gone.

It wouldn’t be long before I saw him again. This time standing at my door looking at the man who had a gun pressed against my head. It was the same man the stranger had seen me with the first time. My father.

“Take one step closer and I’ll blow the fucking brat’s brains out! You hear me?”

The dark man said nothing. He simply looked at my father. He still had his mask on so I couldn’t see his face. I wished that I could. I knew that I wasn’t important in whatever was going on. I just prayed that my father would shoot me before he got shot himself. I didn’t want to keep living like that. I had already been traded through more than one of my father’s “business associates”. I couldn’t bear one more day of that.

I was too afraid to cry. I just sat there, eyes closed and naked, praying for the end to come soon. I remembered the thoughts I had before, of somehow, magically, being rescued by a stranger and taken away to a place where I would never be hurt again. Where I would always be safe and welcome. Where I would be warm, and never know hunger or pain again. In my mind I laughed at my false hopes, knowing that the only salvation I would ever get was in the eternal darkness death would give.

A shot rang through the room. An instant later I felt my father’s grip loosen and then fall away. A set of hands took me by the shoulders then, and I wished more than ever that I had been killed. The hands were gloved, they did not belong to my father. I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to hide inside from what I knew was going to happen.

The strange hands pulled me upright, and smoothed away the tangled hair out of my face. But the movements weren’t angry. They were gentle. Soothing. Then the stranger spoke:

“Shh, it’s okay, it’s okay. He’s gone now. He will never hurt you again. You are safe now. Shh, it’s okay.” As the stranger spoke he kept smoothing my hair back. Safe? I thought. Safe? That’s not possible. Not for the likes of me.

I tried to pull away from the strange man, but the man held tight. “Shh, don’t, shh, it’s okay. I know you’re really afraid now. I know you don’t understand what is happening. Listen to me, okay? I am not one of the bad people. I am not going to hurt you. Ever. I came here to stop what these people were doing to others in the world. I came sooner than I should have because I saw what this man had done to you. I will never hurt you, like that or in any other way. You are safe now. You’re safe.”

My strength gave out then, and I sagged against the strange man. I finally opened my eyes, and saw my father’s body laying just a few feet from me. I closed my eyes again, listening to what was happening around me. I heard others running up the stairs, calling for the man. The man sat holding on to me, even when the others ran into the room, firing what seemed like a thousand questions at him. The strange man never once let any of the others touch me, or even come close. He seemed to understand that one stranger was all that I could deal with right then.

After what seemed like an hour, I felt the strange man shift. He lay me down gently on the floor, then removed his jacket. I felt like screaming then, I had almost started to believe the stranger! I opened my eyes again and looked straight at him, surprised to see he had removed his mask. I saw then, for the first time, the incredibly clear green eyes that would become my lifeline. And they were full of pain.


Nick felt Kevin shift against him, and opened his eyes. He saw Brian knelt by the kitchen door, across from him. Brian smiled at him uncertainly. Nick tried to smile back, succeeding in only a small return. He felt Kevin move, then get onto his feet.

“Nicky, do you think you can make it all the way to your room?”

Nick tried to look stronger to Kevin. “Yeah.” But as he got to his feet his knees buckled and he crumpled against Kevin. Nick felt the tears well in his eyes again. Why am I so pathetic!

Kevin didn’t seem troubled though, he caught Nick as if he weighed nothing. He waved his hand at Brian, stopping him before he got any closer. “Brian, did you order something for us?”

“Um … yeah. I got some Chinese …it was Howie’s turn after all.”

“Good choice. Brian can I ask you to please take care of this?” Kevin asked, pointing at the floor. “I want to take Nick upstairs so he can rest until the order arrives.”

“Sure, no problem.”

Nick looked up at Brian, but before he could say anything Brian stepped in. “Don’t worry about it. I’ll take care of this one and you take care of the next one I make. Okay?” Brian smiled reassuringly at Nick. It seemed to work.

Nick looked back at Kevin as he spoke. “So you ready to go upstairs?”

Nick didn’t know what to answer. He was pretty sure he would just fall over again. Before he could come up with something though, Kevin picked him up, cradling him in his arms.

“Let’s go, little brother. You look like your freezing.”

And so Kevin carried Nick all the way up the stairs.

**********************************************
Twelve by Aura Sandoval
Chapter 12


The little Chinese man at the door resembled a mouse, or so Brian thought. The face, the pointy nose … Brian was so lost in his comparison that the little man had to clear his throat to snap him out of it.

“Sorry, long day.” Brian offered as apology. “How much will that be?”

“Theventy buckth.”

Brian paid him and included a generous tip. Here you go buddy, a little donation towards the dental savings plan. Brian snorted, drawing a dirty look from the delivery guy. Brian couldn’t think of anything else to do, so he just closed the door. No more ordering take out from Thai Chow …

Howie came down the stairs as Brian entered the kitchen. “Hey, what did you get B-Rok?”

“Something to do with bamboo sticks and a whole heap of paper napkins.”

“You sir, are a good kind man!” Howie laughed as he bounded into the kitchen.

Brian gave the Latino a curious look. “Jumping around like that is Nick’s area, what’s with you? Or did you miss what’s been happening here today?”

“I can’t help it, it’s the nervous tension. It’s either jump around or go crazy. Can I help you with that?” Howie asked indicating the brown paper packages on the kitchen counter.

“Grab some trays. How’s AJ doing?”

Howie’s expression sobered as he sighed. “He’s scared to death. Honestly Brian I think that kids’ been through stuff not too far from what Kaos went through. He’s so skittish. And he’s absolutely terrified of Kevin now. I so wish I could know exactly what those idiots said to him at the restaurant. How’s the kid doing?”

“He’s scared to death.” Brian said as he carried the food to the living room.

Howie sighed, exasperated with the whole situation. He was the first, and had gone through this exercise twice now. You’d think I’d know how to handle it by now! The situations weren’t exactly helped by the reality that was Kevin. The man was frightening, and no matter how much time passed and how well Howie had gotten used to him, he was still frightening. Howie wondered for the hundredth time how many people knew the full truth about him. “You know, if that cousin of yours would really smile it would probably make our lives a lot easier.”

“I smile, just not often.”

Brian and Howie both jumped. “That’s the second time today! I mean it Kev, one more time and you and I are going to have a serious problem!”

Kevin’s eyes crinkled at the edges. “This is now a serious problem as opposed to starvation in Africa?”

“Not even a close.”

“Ah.” Kevin said, running his finger along his eyebrow.

“How’s Nick doing?” Howie asked.

“He’s changing, I didn’t even notice that some of the biohazard had ended up on his jeans until he sat down on the bed. Or rather I put him there.”

“Will you stop insulting my cooking?!”

“Why? Everyone else does.”

Brian burst out laughing. The running word battles between Kevin and Howie concerning cooking were legendary. The problem comes from both of them loving to add lots of spices to their dishes. Unfortunately for Howie he got a little carried away once. Brian remembered the results of that particular experiment clearly. It was the first time in his life he felt like dowsing the flames in his mouth with a fire extinguisher, a thought seconded by his cousin when he offered to go find the hose. It didn’t stop Howie’s experimentation though, and although he never again achieved the same level as before he’s managed some pretty dangerous combinations since.

Brian sobered quickly though, when he caught a glimpse of Nick’s jacket hanging by the door. “Kevin, how can you be so light when everything is so … wrong?”

Kevin brought his hands up to his chin, making it look like he was praying. He thought for a few moments. “Brian, I know you and Howie are trying to hide something from me, something concerning Nick. And it doesn’t take too much effort to figure out why AJ went along with it. Did you honestly think I wouldn’t know something was up?”

“Kev we …” Howie began.

Kevin silenced him with a look when he heard footsteps on the stairs. “We’ll finish this discussion later.”

AJ heard Kevin’s last comment, and he didn’t miss the look that passed between Howie and Brian. He felt his eyes misting up again, and then felt like slapping himself. Damnit stop it!

“Hey,” Howie said in a somewhat hesitant voice, “how are you feeling?”

AJ had to clear his throat before he could answer. “Good. Better, I … the warm shower felt great. Thank you.” The last two words were directed at Kevin.

The same slight nod. The same closing of the eyes. He doesn’t say much does he? I wonder if he does it on purpose? Because if he does it’s a damn fine scare tactic! AJ thought.

“I hope you like Chinese, it’s Howie’s favorite. I thought it only fair to make it his choice tonight.” Brian said in a lighter voice, obviously trying to lighten the tension.

“Um … yeah, Chinese is good.”

“Safer too.”

“Kevin!”

Brian burst out laughing again. AJ couldn’t figure out just what was so funny, so he just stood there looking confused. Kevin noticed AJ’s expression. “Don’t worry, we’ll tell you the story.”

AJ saw the others look up when they heard Nick coming down the stairs. Everyone that is, except for Kevin. AJ turned as well, noting with relief that the kid looked much better. His eyes were still puffy and he looked tired, but otherwise he seemed fine. AJ let out the breath he didn’t know he was holding. At least the kid doesn’t seem to have any bruises … unless they aren’t on his face … He felt eyes on him and somehow knew instinctively that it was Kevin.

“Well come on, the food is getting cold.” Brian again.

“Yeah, there’s nothing worse than congealed Chinese.” Howie added, then caught the invitation just in time, “ … and don’t even think about it!”

Kevin turned, running a finger along his eyebrow.

As everyone set about sorting out the orders and settling down on the comfortable couches AJ noticed that the last bit of comedy had lifted the mood considerably. For them at least, he thought. How can they keep going up and down like this? He saw Brian beckon to him, and stepped closer to take the carton from him. “Thanks, Brian.”

“You’re welcome Aje,” Brian smiled, “you can call me B-Rok if you like. All my friends do.”

“Okay, thanks.” The misty eyes again. AJ had a feeling he was going to dehydrate before the night was over. How long has it been since anyone had called him a friend? When he turned around he saw one of the most astonishing sites he had ever witnessed.

********************************************
Thirteen by Aura Sandoval
Chapter 13



AJ froze, his overtaxed mind seemingly unable to decode the images his eyes were taking in.

Nick was sitting on the floor, next to Kevin. The kid was resting his head on Kevin’s knee as if nothing had happened. Kevin was leaning back comfortably on the couch, also as if nothing had happened. I don’t understand this ... AJ just stood there, unable to move and unable to think. If he didn’t think it was possible to be more frightened than he was that morning he was wrong. Somehow the turnaround in Nick’s demeanor was worse than a bruise would have been.

“Will you be alright with the chopsticks or should we rather get you a plate and fork?”

AJ had been so lost in thought that he hadn’t realized Kevin had locked eyes with him. AJ wondered if he looked pale because he certainly felt pale. “Umm …” he looked down at his hand and the thick bandages that covered it, “umm yeah … I think that might be better.”

“Thought it might be.” Kevin went to fetch the items himself. When he came back he helped AJ transfer the food from the carton to the plate, then helped him settle on the couch before returning to his own seat. Nick shifted, this time leaning with his back against Kevin’s legs.

AJ’s mind raced. Nothing here made sense. Nothing. Brian was Sentinel’s cousin but at the same time he was afraid of him. Howie said he was Sentinel’s friend, but he was afraid of him too. And AJ didn’t know what to make of Nick’s situation – up until this moment it had looked like every time Kevin laid eyes on Nick, the kid wished he could die. And now this: The other two were sitting there, smiling and making small talk as they ate. The kid was resting comfortably against the man he had, less than an hour ago, begged not to beat him for simply spilling a pot. AJ felt his head beginning to swim, so he tried to focus on his food to keep himself from swaying.

The food tasted good, and AJ began wolfing down his dinner. He couldn’t believe how hungry he felt – as if he hadn’t eaten anything all day. Too late, he remembered a small quirk in his physical make-up: nervous tension, stress, fear and food did not go well together with him. He felt the nausea rise in his throat and tried to fight it. It took only a moment for him to realize he was going to loose this particular battle. Only then did he realize Kevin was standing right beside him. Brian grabbed for his plate and before AJ knew what was happening Kevin had him up out of the chair and halfway across the living room to the small guest bathroom just off to the side. And it was only when his head was positioned over the bowl that he realized Kevin had firmly clapped his hand over his mouth. How did he know? But really at that time AJ couldn’t have cared less. He emptied the entire contents of his stomach in a few heaves. It was as if his body was trying to expel everything that had happened, all the fear, pain and stress of the last few hours. He dry heaved for what felt like forever. Eventually he became aware of the cold cloth resting on his neck, and another cloth bathing his face in merciful cool dampness.

“Settled?”

It was Kevin’s voice, Kevin’s arm supporting him around the waist and it was Kevin’s hand that ran the cool cloth over his face. AJ felt hot tears run over his cheeks, but he no longer cared. He had finally discovered the end of his rope, and he felt like he was barely dangling of the end of it. AJ shaked his head from side to side, and he tried to force a coherent sound from his mouth. “I … no … I …no …” Kevin pulled the chain. AJ felt the rush of cool air against his hot, tears streaked cheeks. It seemed colder than he would have expected. Everything felt wrong. The light was too bright, the air too thick. He heard his heart beating in his ears, felt his pulse in his eyes. He felt cold, so cold he was shivering. Or atleast he thought he was shivering. He couldn’t be sure anymore. He couldn’t be. He wasn’t. Every sound was at once magnified and indecipherable.

AJ felt a sting, and then blackness enveloped him.

***************************


Howie was closest to Kevin, and for the first time in a long while he saw what looked like indecision shadow over the near-perfect features of the dark man. He’s scanning him, Howie realized. He had seen Kevin do it before, but usually it didn’t look like such an effort. As Howie watched Kevin’s eyes changed color, from their normal brilliant emerald to black before he closed them. A few moments later he opened his eyes, and they were once again the startling green Howie knew them as.

“I’ll take care of him, if you’ll just help me get him upstairs.” Howie said in a low voice. He wasn’t sure for whose benefit it was though.

Kevin said nothing, just picked the unconscious young man up and carried him upstairs. By the time Howie had stored away his bag and reached the room, Kevin had already put AJ to bed. Howie watched, mesmerized, by the slow gentle movements of Kevin’s hands as they smoothed AJ’s hair back.

“I remember how that always made me feel. Cared for, you know? Just that, that somebody cared. And that that somebody would look after me.”

Kevin said nothing, he just kept stroking the young boys’ hair.

Howie tried again. “Why do you do it though? I see you do it with Nick a lot, even with Brian. Where did you learn that it had such an effect on people?”

Silence.

“He’ll be alright. He’s just going to feel pretty groggy when he wakes up. I have no idea when that will be though. I didn’t really have time to gauge the dosage properly. I may have given him a bit more than he needed.”

Kevin nodded his understanding, and left the room.

Howie looked back down at the now still form of AJ. He seemed peaceful. “You’ll be alright, don’t worry,” he whispered to the sleeping form, “you’ll be alright.”


*************************************


Kevin was exactly where Howie thought he would be: outside on the roof, gazing up at the stars.

“Hey.”

“Hey.”

“Erm … Brian and Nick decided to go to the movies. They just wanted to …”

“Get away from me?” Kevin said/asked.

“No, no that’s not it. They just wanted to … you know … unwind. Why would you ask that?" Howie asked, frowning.

“You know why.”

“Kevin …” Howie began.

“It’s alright, D. You’ve had along day; you should turn in. I’m just going to sit out here for a while then I’ll come in. Did Brian take the transponder with him?”

Howie swallowed. “Yeah, he did. Umm … he said they’ll just shoot down to UA and catch the early movie. They won’t be back late.”

“Good. Nick should get some rest too.” Kevin’s normally measured tone sounded more subdued than usual.

Howie stood or a moment longer, trying to think of something to say. “Kevin?”

“Yes?”

“It’s going to alright you know. It really is. Things are just … crazy right now. Just really … hard. It’ll be okay.”

“Thanks D.”

*****************************************
Fourteen by Aura Sandoval
Chapter 14


AJ’s mind rushed back to consciousness almost as abruptly as it had been lost. He kept his body perfectly still while listening for the smallest sound that could tell him about his chances of escaping.

I have to get away from here. Right now.

He heard nothing. There was no one in the room with him. AJ sat up, confused. This wasn’t the same room he had been in earlier.

Where in this maze am I?

AJ got out of bed and looked down at himself. And where’s my clothes?

He heard a TV go on in the room next door and froze. Someone was here … What if it’s Kevin?

Does Kevin even watch TV?!!

Doesn’t matter. I have to get out of here now.


He heard footsteps coming down the hall. To AJ it felt like they were falling in time to the thunderous beating of his heart.

The footsteps passed him by.

AJ was to scared to sigh in relief, so he just kept listening. He heard the shower start from a little way down the hall, and then the door closed.

Now!

AJ opened the door a little wider and peeked around the corner.

The corridor was deserted.

Now or never, AJ thought as he tiptoed his way towards the stairs.

Do they creek? I can’t remember!

He paused at the landing, again listening intently.

Nothing.

He saw the front door from where he stood and suddenly all caution fled from him and he rushed toward it before his over-taxed mind had a chance to start screaming that this was suicide. He didn’t even think about what he would do if it was locked but it wasn’t so he rushed through heedless of what might be waiting behind it but just knowing that he had to get away, get away, get away!

His flight came to a sudden halt when he got to the elevator and remembered the keycard Kevin had used when they came up the day before.

Oh no …

Shakily he pressed the button for the elevator to come. It arrived with a deafening ping! AJ looked around absolutely convinced that someone had heard and would now be rushing out to stop him.

The corridor was still empty.

AJ stepped into the elevator and the doors closed. He looked at the keypad and saw the slot for the keycard gaping at him. Don’t you dare! AJ clenched his eyes shut and pressed the “P” button.

The elevator began to move, descending smoothly. AJ collapsed in a heap, breathing heavily. So far so good, but now I have to get away from the building. Which brings about the next question doesn’t it? Just where the hell am I?!!

The elevator doors opened to the parking area, spilling sharp cold air into the small transport. AJ looked down at his clothes. I’m buggered, he thought as he took in the light cotton pants, white T-shirt and his bare feet. He looked up again when he heard a car approach.

It was a green Jeep Cherokee.

Like Kevin’s.

It was Kevin’s!

I’m caught, this is it. It’s Kevin and he’s going to catch me and …

The driver of the green Cherokee gave AJ a curious look through his Rastafarian dreadlocks. He passed AJ by and made a right at the corner, heading towards the exit.

AJ remembered that breathing was essential to living and gasped for air. It doesn’t matter. The clothes, the feet, it doesn’t matter. I have to move now! He ran for the exit, his bare feet slapping against hard concrete making strange echoes throughout the parking lot. He burst through into the bright winter light, unaware of the startled guard looking after him from his little glass booth to the left of the exit.

He didn’t see the green Jeep Cherokee follow him as he made his escape.


******************************************
Fifteen by Aura Sandoval
Chapter 15


“I just ran into Brian in the corridor. Apparently you’re little run-away escaped.”

“I know.”

Director Keating stepped into the cool inner office of the Sentinel. “And?”

Silence.

“Hello! I need information please!”

“So do I.”

Tony sighed. He felt strangely guilty for his rough outburst. Such loud words were out of place in this ordered, balanced room. The only oddity was the single burning candle centered along the top of the workstation. “Sentinel. I lack your fairly annoying habit of knowing without asking so could you please fill in the finer details for the mere human?”

Sentinel’s elegant fingers danced lightly over the touch-panel keyboard. “I’ve been trying to patch together Mr. Mclean’s past, trying to find a way into a very complicated young man.”

“Is he being uncooperative?”

“No, not uncooperative. But resistant.”

“For my money it sounds like the same thing.” Tony sat down in the chair next to Sentinel’s. He saw school reports, medical records and arrest sheets scroll by, compiling a biography of what seemed like a fairly sad life. “You seem to be a magnet for these types.”

Kevin actually smiled at that.

“Why don’t you just … you know … read him.”

“Two reasons. His mind is too fragile. I tried last night but only discovered enough to know that this was necessary. If I had pushed harder I could have hurt him. And then Howie sedated him. The scanning … it frightens Howie.”

“That’s the other reason?”

Kevin nodded.

Tony rolled his eyes. “Oh great, I’ve got the softie from hell right here!”

“You better not say that where people can hear you.”

“What is this? Is it a family thing to sneak up on people and try to scare them to death? Is it genetic?” Tony asked as he looked around at the now grinning face of Brian where he stood by the door.

Brian laughed. “Hey maybe we should look into that, don’t you think Kev?”

Kevin stood up, running a finger along his brow. “You’ve tracked to where AJ is heading?”

Brian sighed. “There’s no fun in bringing you good news, I can’t surprise you with it. Yes, he seems to be winding his way get back to the old scrapyard just like you suspected. Plus he’s picked up a tail.” At Kevin’s raised eyebrow, he amended: “Another tail.”

“The Order.” Tony concluded.

“I’m leaving.” Sentinel said as he walked out the door.

Brian had to run to keep up. “I’ll have back-ups meet you there.”

Sentinel slowed his pace to accommodate his shorter cousin. “Brian what is he wearing?”

“Huh?” Brian blinked.

“His clothes. He can’t be dressed warmly as we never told him where his old clothes was and I doubt very much he was going to risk the time going through the closets.”

Brian stopped dead in his tracks. “You knew he was going to flee.”

“Yes.”

“And you let him? Knowing he would run blindly and without thinking?”

“Yes.”

Brian stood where he was, indecision shadowing over his light features. “Kevin … how? Why? He could get hurt … it’s cold … he’s …”

Sentinel stood where he was for a moment, then walked up to Brian and gently put his hands on Brian’s shoulders. “Brian he isn’t alone. I told Roger. That is why he’s on AJ’s tracks so fast. He was there right from the beginning.”

“But why? You kept telling him that he could trust you. And now you’re using his fear to … lead you?”

All signs of Sentinel melted away as Kevin looked Brian straight in the eyes. “Brian, remember when I said to you that sometimes I had to do things that you couldn’t understand but that were important. And that I never did any of those things without good reason?”

Brian nodded. “Yes.”

“This is one of those times. Do you trust me?”

Brian nodded again, feeling bad. “Yes,” he whispered. “I’m sorry …”

Kevin shushed him with a gentle finger across his lips. “It’s okay. Now what’s he wearing?”

“The stuff we … you … gave him last night.”

“Call Howie. Tell him where to meet me and tell him to bring warm clothes … and I think a few heating pads. And a footbath.”

Brian shook his head, smiling wonderingly at his cousin. “How can you always do that? Think of even little things like that?”

“Not always. Just when it’s one of you.” And with that Sentinel turned around and accelerated down the hall.

********************************************
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=1919