Second Chance by SweetAngelicAngel
Summary: (**Part One in a series of Three**)

Lauren and AJ took different roads nearly four years ago with a bitter goodbye. Though they were far apart, they were still connected through Nastasia Notez, who remained Lauren's best friend and a favorite Backstreet Dancer. Each think of each other often, yet say nothing to Nastasia, knowing that the pain is still strong within their hearts. Nastasia seems to accept their decision, but as Lauren's little boy grows without his father, Nastasia sees that some things are just worth a second chance.

(**Co-written with Anastacia [author of "Paralyzed Heart"** -- written in 2000)
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Howie, Group, Other
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 100 Completed: Yes Word count: 86250 Read: 239128 Published: 02/08/04 Updated: 09/02/04
Chapter 41 by SweetAngelicAngel
Chapter 41:

" Afternoon JJ! 'Bout time you get that butt of yours out of bed, " Nastasia laughed as A.J staggered down the stairs and into the living-room, I followed close behind. Almost instantly after he had taken a seat in the recliner chair, Chase ran over to him and hoped on his lap.

" Funny Stazzie, " A.J retorted with a grin. " Hey Chasers... " He placed a kiss on his son's head and ruffled his hair.

" You feelin' better J? Because we have a small rehersal to go to this afternoon, " Howie asked, placing his arm around Nastasia. I fell into a daze as I watched him do that and I felt the jealousy rage in me again. I longed so much to have A.J's arms around me again, to have him hold me again like he used to.

" Me come too? " Chase asked excitedly.

" Of course, if your Mommy's gonna go. You gonna come Laurie? " I heard A.J ask me. I blinked several times, realizing everyone was looking at me.

" Go where? " I asked confusidely.

" To our rehearsal - you don't have to come if you don't want to, but, I'd really like it if you did, " A.J replied truefully as he smiled at me.

" Alright, I guess I'll come... " I managed to say, smiling myself.

*****

" You and your two left feet keep throwing me off, Frack! " Brian joked, as him and Nick practiced a few dance moves while Kevin lounged in one of the chairs. They were still waiting for everyone to arrive.

" Do you think it's maybe because you just don't know the moves, Frick? " Nick retorted.

" Me not know the moves? Ha! You're funny man, " Brian laughed sarcastically.

" So it's true huh? "

" No, cause I know the moves better then you. You just don't want to admit it, you can't dance Frack! "

" Quit talking about yourself Bri, " Nick joked. " Yo, what's that up there? " he asked seriously, pointing up towards the ceiling.

" What's what? " Brian asked looking upward.

" Nothin' syke! " Nick yelled and tackled Brian to the ground. The two began to wrestle around on the ground.

" Get off me man! " Brian said.

" Not until you admit I'm a better dancer then you! " Nick demanded with a grin.

" Never! " Brian pushed Nick to the side of him and tried to move away, but Nick quickly recovered and the two went back to wrestling, Kevin looking at them with a look of annoyance on his face. He shook his head and took a drink from his water bottle.

" The Bone man is in da house! " A.J sang out as we all walked through the doors. I couldn't help but laugh at the sense of humor he had. As soon as I did, he turned around and gave me a grin. " You laughing at me? "

" Uh...no, it was uh...Stazzie! " I quickly said.

A.J gave me a wierd look and motioned to the two people behind me, which happened to be Nastasia and Howie. The two were engaged in a long kiss. " I don't think she had time to laugh... " he said with a smirk.

" Look who finally decides to show up! " Kevin called from up on stage. " The whole motley crew! " he added in a sarcastic tone with a smile.

" It's great to see you too Kevin, " A.J retorted as he climbed onto the stage and hoisted Chase up there from my arms. " What's with tweedle Dumb and tweedle Dumber? "

" Ignore them, " Kevin laughed. " Hey there Chase. "

" Hey Big Bow! " Chase squealed, running up to Kevin.

" Big Brow huh? " A.J laughed. Kevin just shrugged his shoulders.

I stood there silently, feeling uncomfortable. I felt out of place there, I didn't know why. Looking back over my shoulder, I noticed Howie and Nastasia still engaged in their kiss. " Break it up you two! " I yelled with a laugh, breaking my silent mood.

Brian pulled himself away from his and Nick's wrestling match and stood up, his face all red. " Lauren?! "

I felt the smile creep across my face. It was always great to see Brian and he could always brighten my day and put a smile on my face. " Hey Bri Bear! " I replied, making my way up onto the stage and was met by a big brotherly hug.

" D didn't tell me you were coming. "

" No one ever does. I'm just not loved, " I pouted jokingly.

" That ain't true. I love you! " Brian said.

" So do I! " Nick chimed in, running up to me.

" Back off Frack, she's mine! " Brian said, putting his arm around me protectively.

" AHEM! " A.J cleared his throat loudly. I looked at him questioningly.

" B-wok! B-wok! " Chase yelled running up to Brian and tackling him.

Brian fell to the ground. " Dang J, you got a strong 3 year old! " he laughed tickling Chase, making him burst out in giggles. A.J grinned proudly.

" I'm almost dis many! " Chase stated, holding up four of his tiny fingers.

" Enough of the chit chat, because we're already running behind schedule. Fatima's gonna have a fit if we ain't workin' when she gets back, so let's get to rehearsin', " Kevin said in a stern tone.

A round of sarcastic groans filtered throughout the place.

" Remember what the Doc said JJ. Don't over work yourself. If you get dizzy, take a break, " Nastasia said as they all got in their places.

" Yes Mother, " A.J retorted sarcastically and grinned as Nastasia stuck her tounge out at him. I felt myself want to rage with jealously, but I silently calmed myself, knowing that it would only result in another fight, and that was far from anything I wanted at the moment.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=2080