Second Chance by SweetAngelicAngel
Summary: (**Part One in a series of Three**)

Lauren and AJ took different roads nearly four years ago with a bitter goodbye. Though they were far apart, they were still connected through Nastasia Notez, who remained Lauren's best friend and a favorite Backstreet Dancer. Each think of each other often, yet say nothing to Nastasia, knowing that the pain is still strong within their hearts. Nastasia seems to accept their decision, but as Lauren's little boy grows without his father, Nastasia sees that some things are just worth a second chance.

(**Co-written with Anastacia [author of "Paralyzed Heart"** -- written in 2000)
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Howie, Group, Other
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 100 Completed: Yes Word count: 86250 Read: 239041 Published: 02/08/04 Updated: 09/02/04
Chapter 56 by SweetAngelicAngel
Chapter 56:

I woke up the next morning to find that Nastasia must have left sometime during the night. I was a bit worried about her. She didn't seem like herself. Maybe she was tired. I know I would be, doing all the dancing she has to do, but I was still worried. I figured I would ask her later today when I saw her.

I climbed out of bed and staggered into my bathroom, looking wearily into the mirror as I turned on the light. " Don't I just look lovely, " I said sarcastically as I studied the tangled mess that layed on my head, which I called hair.

" Mommy! Mommy! " I heard Chase yell as he burst through the door of my hotel room. I stepped out of the bathroom just as Chase reached me and I scooped him up into my arms, smothering him with kisses.

" Hey sweetie, how's my little boy? " I cooed as I hugged him.

" Me dood! " Chase squealed. " Me and Grammy go get beckfist dow! You doo! "

I looked to see Denise standing in the doorway. " Morning Denise, " I greeted and placed Chase back on the ground.

" Morning Laurie. Sleep well, I hope? " Denise asked as Chase ran back into her arms.

" Very well, " I replied and quickled brushed out my tangled hair.

" We go dow Mommy and wake up Auntie Stazzie! "

" Coming Chase, " I laughed as Chase squirmed in his grandma's arms until she put him down. I doubted Nastasia would be awake. It was only 9:00 am, but I figured it would be fun getting to wake her up.

" And den wake up Daddy doo! "

" Oh, I'm not sure if that's a good idea Chase, " Denise laughed as Chase pulled both of us out the door. " If your Daddy isn't already awake, you need to let him wake up on his own. "

" No! Daddy wake up dow! " Chase said stubbornly.

" If you say so... " Denise replied with a grin.

We walked down the hall a bit and stopped in front of room 212, Howie and Nastasia's room. I got an idea and motioned for Denise and Chase to be quiet. I knocked on the door and cleared my throat and waited for a reply.

After knocking a few more times, I heard a groggy yell of " what?! " come from inside.

" Room service! " I said in a strongly accented voice and knocked again.

" I didn't order any room service! " came Nastasia's irritated reply.

" * Knock knock * Room service! "

" Did you hear me? I said I didn't order any room service! "

" * Knock knock * Room service - I come to change pillows! "

" I don't need my pillows changed! "

" * Knock knock * Room service - I come to change sheets! "

" I don't need my sheets to be changed! Go away! "

" * Knock knock * Room service! " I was having a hard time surpressing my laughs and could tell Denise was snickering silently - Chase looked clueless.

I heard Nastasia get out of bed and walk over to the door. " I said I didn't order no damn room ser...vice...that was you Laurie? " she said as she opened the door.

" Mornin' Sunshine! " I laughed but stopped when she just glared. I studied her features - there was a pale shade to the skin tone of her face. She looked weaker than normal. " You feelin' ok, Stazzie? "

" Yeah, I'm feeling fine, " Nastasia replied. She was lying, even Denise could tell.

" Sweetie, are you sure? You don't look so good, " Denise said, concern coating her voice.

" Yes Mom, I'm fine, " Nastasia replied as she rolled her now dull green eyes. " I'm just tired, that's all. "

" Aunt Stazzie no feel dood? " Chase whimpered. " Aunt Stazzie eat beckfist and den Aunt Stazzie feel dood! "

" I'll come down in a little bit Chazzie. "

" Howie still sleeping? I thought he would have woken up after my little wake up call I just pulled, " I said as I tried to peer into the dark room.

" Nah, the lazy butt is still sleeping. He sleeps like a bear. It takes a lot to wake him up. "

" Remind you of anyone? " I laughed.

" JJ, " Nastasia laughed. " I'll be down later. I'm going back to bed. "

" Alright. We'll see you later, " I said and took hold of Chase's hand. " C'mon, let's go wake up your father. "

*****

Nastasia had been acting extremely quiet through out the day. Everyone could tell she wasn't feeling good, even though she tried to deny it. Howie was becoming worried about her.

I stepped out of the elevator on the second floor and began walking down the hall. Everyone was supposed to be leaving for rehearsal and Howie had asked me if I would go get Nastasia, who was still in their room.

I reached their door and walked in, knowing I didn't need to knock. I didn't see her in the room, but noticed the light was on in the bathroom. I walked over and knocked on the door. The only responce I got was a sudden sob from inside, which made me worried. Walking into the bathroom, I found Nastasia standing frozen in the middle of the floor, her back to me. " Stazzie? " I could tell she was shaking as she turned around.

Her bottom lip quivered as she gazed at me. She was holding something white in her hands.

" Stazzie, what's wrong? "

She couldn't answer me.

I looked to the counter and saw a small white box. It couldn't be what I thought it was, could it? I picked it up and my own hands began to shake as my suspision was confirmed - it was a pregnancy test.
" Stazzie? "

" Laurie...I-I'm pregnant... "
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=2080