Broken by KissTheRainGirl12489
Summary: When six year old Jessica Parker, best friends of six year old Howard Dorough is hit by a car she is rushed to the hospital and there it is discovered that Jessica's platelets are low in count in her blood and her bonemarrow is not working propery which can only mean one thing.Little Jessica has leukemia.How do you explain to a child that they have cancer?And after that,how do their loved ones cope?*Dedicated to my mom who passed away from cancer*
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Howie, Group, Other
Genres: Alternate Universe, Angst, Drama
Warnings: Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: No Word count: 3603 Read: 15504 Published: 07/28/04 Updated: 09/05/04

1. The Accident by KissTheRainGirl12489

2. At The Hospital by KissTheRainGirl12489

3. The Diagnosis by KissTheRainGirl12489

4. Seeing Jezzy by KissTheRainGirl12489

5. Admitted Illusions of the Mind by KissTheRainGirl12489

6. Kindergarden Without Jezzy by KissTheRainGirl12489

7. Talking To Jezzy by KissTheRainGirl12489

8. Talking To Mrs.Kelly by KissTheRainGirl12489

9. The Real World (Part One) by KissTheRainGirl12489

10. Sad Author Note by KissTheRainGirl12489

The Accident by KissTheRainGirl12489
A/N:This was originally gonna be posted when I was completely done but when my mom died this morning,I felt I wasn't gonna feel closure until I posted it I guess.She never got to read any of these stories I wrote and she wanted too.And I regret that.

This is merely based off a couple songs."My Immortal" by Evanescance ans Sarah McLachlan's songs "In The Arms Of An Angel" and "Fallen".

Excuse me if I make any spelling mistakes but I may start shaking while I'm writing this and my fingers may slip.

Oh yeah, I don't know exact ages so I'm making a good guess on it.

Well here's chapter one.

~Chapter One~

"Oh man," twelve year old John Dorough said sounding as if he were lost with a smug grin on his face,"I wonder where Jessica and Howie are."

The soft giggling was evidently from under the couch.Just then fourteen year old Pollyanna Dorough walked in the small cozy living room setting down lemenade and a glass plate of cookies on the antique coffee table that sat in the middle of the room.

"Hey Polly," John said stiffling his laughter,"Do you know where Jessica and Howie are?"

"Yeah." Polly said wiping her stray cookie crums on her shirt,"Under the couch."

Rolling his eyes he glared at Pollyanna as Jessica and Howie came barreling from out of the couch knocking over the coffee table and all of it's contents too.Upon seeing this Polly screamed in frustration.Turning around she stormed furiousliy back into the kitchen.Howie and Jessica looked at each other and John smirked at the mess of lemenade and cookies.

"Don't worry you two I'll tell mama and papa it was an accident,kay?" John said squatting down to their level and patted them both on the head.

"Now who wants to go to the new park across the street?" John asked and Howie and Jessica begin to jump up and down with excitement.

"Hold on you two." John said and disappeared into the kitchen to get a few things.Jessica and Howie grinned as they burst outside and barrelled into the street not seeing the drunk driver and uncoming car.

Howie barely made it off the sidewalk when Jessica let out a blood curling scream and a sickening thud was was heard,The car kept flying down the street and dangerously turned the corner.

"Jezzy!" Howard screamed and ran into the street shaking the unconscience lump.Blood was everywhere and was still seeping from a wound on her head.Pollyanna and John came out and had to gasp in shock for seconds.

Howard was quickly picked up as was Jessica.Running inside Howard was plopped on the couch and he ran up stairs to the main house phone.Polly quickly carried Jessica into the bathroom.Locking the door all view was blocked out but the little fist banging on the door did not fall on deaf ears.
At The Hospital by KissTheRainGirl12489
A/N: Thanks sweet18.Yesterday I was a mess.Today I can actually focas.I thought no one was gonna review.Kinda pissed me off at first but then I was like I don't care.I'm posting it because I want people that read to be somewhat educated on leukemia.I know people can look it up and stuff but it seems so much more intresting in story form.Sometimes it's even easier to grasp.

~Chapter Two~

The hospital waiting room with florescent lights but the mood was different.Several magazines lay scattered and a public fruit basket lay untouched.To the few that were there,the sound of a little boy crying softly was all that was heard.

Soon the hospital lobby doors swung open violently and four adults approached he three lonely children.

"What has happened?" Paula Dorough asked softly sitting in a chair next to Pollyanna.Howard was given to Ppaula's husband and Howie's father Hoke Dorough.Hoke sighed as he picked up the whimpering child.

Polly told them the storyfrom herv point of view from when they spilled the lemenade and cookies to the point she picked Jessica from the street.Abalene Parker by then was in tears in her husband's arms before the story was over.When the dortor came out,all pairs of eyees except one were directed on him.

"I need to speak with the Parkers in my office I'm afraid.And no,Jessica's not dead,it's just something is threatening her life at the rateit's going." he said and Paula placed her hand over her heart.Pollyanna finally covered her face beginning to cry softly as John looked to the floor with tears glistening in his brown eyes.Abalene and Robert Parker walked closely behind the doctor as they disappeared through busy corridors.

"Papa," Howard said softly," Is Jezzy gonna be okay?"

"Yeah Howard.Jezzy's gonna be okay." Hoke responded looking away with tears tugging at the corners of his eye slightly blurring his vision.

"She gonna come home?" he asked again.Hoke didn't respond this time.Rubbing Howard's back in circles, Howard layed his head on his dad's shoulder.Closing his eyes he fell into a peaceful slumber.
The Diagnosis by KissTheRainGirl12489
A/N: R&R thanks!

~Chapter Three~

When conscienceness begin to bleed through the cobwebs of his nap,bits and pieces of sentences were what came to fill his ears.Reality was starting to sneak back to him.He could now see flashes of that red car and Jessica's little body connecting.That gut wrenching scream that echoed through his head made tears come back to his eyes and he shuddered lightly.

"...leukemia...nost children have this acute form...radiation therapy..." a stranger said. Leukemia? What was Leukemia?What did he mean by most children have this acute form?What did acute mean and radiation therapy?What in the world was that?

Although Howard understood known of the words the doctor previously said,he did infact understand the next sentence.And the offense was taken personally.

"Jessica is very sick and she-"

"No!" Howard wailed,"Jezzy not sick!You stupid!"

"Howard," Hoke hissed,"Stop it.That's rude."

"You." Howard growled pushing his finger in his nose breifly with a jagged nail," said Jezzy be fine!Put me down!I wanna see Jezzy!" Howard screamed trying to squirm his way from Hoke's grasp.Finally he slumped and begin to cry.This set Abalene off and she sobbed into her hands.With comforting arms,Robert hugged his wife and shedded several tears as well.

After several minutes passed Robert looked up.

"Can we see Jessica before she begins treatment?" Robert asked with a hopeful glint in his grey eyes.

"Of course.We're gonna try and let some of her bones mend and her body heal before we start because she's already going to be drained of energy.And believe me,she's gonna need alot of energy."
Seeing Jezzy by KissTheRainGirl12489
A/N: Hm...should Howie find some friends at th hospital?Um....I can't decide.

~Chapter Four~

"When can we see Jezzy mama?" Howard asked holding his mother's hand.Sighing she ruffled his brown locks that fell lightly in his tanned face.

"Soon baby,soon." Paula replied softly.Howie looked up to her and smiled.Paula smiled back pleased to see her baby was happy.Hoke wrapped a secure arm around Pual's shoulders and she smiled at him.Abalene and Robert walked out slowly both with tears glistening in their eyes.Robert nodded and before they could protest Howard was already in the room.

"Howie!" cried Jessica.Her alburn hair neatly pulled into a small ponytail.Mere cuts were scattered across her pale freckled face.The blanket was pulled up to under her armpits.A small smile was now on her slender pale pink lips.

"Jessica!" he cried back.Climbing on the bed with some difficultythe both hugged each other best they could and Howie smashed his lips against her cheeck giving a sloppy and wet kiss.

"Yuck!" she said loudly and they both broke into a fit of giggles.They both begin to forget why they were even here.

"Hi Mrs. and Mr. Dorough." Jessica chimed happily with a toothy grin plastered across her face.Then a nurse walked in and begin to check Jessica's vital signs.

I'm terribly sorry to have to break up the reunion," she said with a hint of sadness," but I'm afraid her doctor Doctor Spencer wants to begin her treatment."

"Okay,thankyou." Paula said nodding to the nurse.

"Howard." Hoke said firmly," It's time to go." Immediatly Howard flew around and the nurse sighed sadly.

"But we just got here!" he nearly yelled.Fresh tears begin to glisten in his big brown eyes.

"Howard I know.But if we don't leave,Jessica cant get her treatment and she can get very very sick." Paula said softly with a calm voice.Howard gasped and looked slowly at Jessica.With a small pout,he gave her a quick hug and then exchanged goodbyes.And soon her treatment begin.
Admitted Illusions of the Mind by KissTheRainGirl12489
A/N: Thanks R&R.You make me feel alot better.=D May God be with you all.


~Chapter Five~

"Howard,"Paual begin as she put him down on the kitchen floor.Tossing the keychain of several keys down in a weved basket in the corner of the counter she squatted down to match his level," you have your first day of kindergarden tommorrow. so I suggest you go get yourself ready for bed." she said softly ruffling his brown locks.Howard's face twisted.

"But mama," he begin to protest,"I want Jessica to go and she not going.I don't wanna go."

Paula sighed as she quickly ran a tongue over her crimson lips.

"Howard,Jezzy will join you soon enough in kindergarden.Don't you worry."

"But I want her to go with me tommorrow."

Paula fought the urge to begin to strangle the small boy.

Standing up and towering over Howard she ran a hand though her short hair.Picking him up she looked into his beautiful brown big eyes that starred right back at her.Setting him on the counter she sighed.

"Howard..." Paula begin but paused to think about how to tell him how Jezzy was sick and what cancer was.

"Jezzy not sick." he snapped before she could start up again.

"Yes she is."

"No she not."

"Howard-"

"No!" he yelled banging his fist against the counter.His little brow was furrowed with anger and tears shined in his glassy eyes.Paula sighed and just huged him.He knew Jezzy was sick.He just told himself otherwise.He had to cause it seemed that Jezzy never got sick.Well actually she got alot of infections and always seemed to have frequent headaches but she never got sick to him because he didn't want her to be sick in his mind.He never liked it when Jezzy was sick so she just never was.Or at least that's what he told himself.

Tears of anger were sobbed into Paula's shirt as little fist clenched little balls of her purple shirt in it's grasp.Looking away she begin to realize it was hard for her not to cry either but she restrained herself as best she could.She need to be strong for Howard.She needed to be strong for herself.


***Important Author's Note***: Next chappie is Howie's first day of kindergarden and the discalimer for the racial comments is gonna be sweet and short.I hold nothing against the race that will be mentioned for a have friends in that race and it's only the two kids who need a attitude rejustment and a talk about racism.
Kindergarden Without Jezzy by KissTheRainGirl12489
A/N: See previous chapter for disclaimer.

~Chapter Six~

"Okay children,were going to play a game." a young middle aged women begin scanning the classroom making eye contact with the childen,"Want to know how to play?"

There were cheers and cries of approval.But nothing could make little Howard happy for Jezzy wasn't there.He began to fade off as the other children followed the rules telling their names and something unique about themselves.

It took a couple of nudges for Howard to truly snap from his divine reverie.

"Huh?" he questioned and the other children began to giggle.

"Tell your full name and something that makes you different from every body else." the young teacher said with a small smile on her chocolate colored face.

"My name is-" Howard began softly but was quietly cut off by the teacher.

"Stand up sweetie." she said.Howard stood up and put his hands behind his back while clasping them together.

"My name is Howard Dwaine Dorough.My mama is from Puerto Rico and my papa is from Irish."

The teacher smiled brightly at his mistake when he sat down.Smiling she leaned forward on her knees as she sat cross legged or "pretzel style".

"I am Mrs.Kelly and I'm married to a wonderful man." There were giggles through out the small circle or squiggly circle since the young children some times were moving in closer then necessary.

The childern were then assigned to tables of four and they begin to work on writing their names.

"Howard," two identical voices calledout from across the table and opward looked up to two identical blonde twins with flashing silver eyes.Both wore blue jean overalls and white button down shirts.

"Huh?"

"Are you Mexican?" one asked and Howard although typically mistaken nodded his head.Both faces turned to a grimace.

"We hate Mexicans.We think they stink."

A/N: *cries* aren't they horrible!
Talking To Jezzy by KissTheRainGirl12489
A/N: Sory for the wait.Writer's block hit after I wrote chapter thirteen of this and I was trying to update a chapter before I posted it on AC but Ii'nm still in a writer's block and unfortunately no one can help me until I post chapter thirteen.But if you ask Ii could email someone the chapter and they can help me from there.

A/N2:Also for the lastest news on my stories you can check my account and I am gonna try and have it updated everyweek if possible.But with school starting next Thursday,updates will suerly come slower since I am going into highschool and I have been warned that the workload will come swift and heavy.

~Talking To Jezzy~

Howard at the end of the day was still trying to recover from the several abusive racial comments that had come from the two twins' mouth.He aslo saw how the two blonde boys also picked on a couple black children while the teacher's attention was elsewhere.

When Paula picked Howard up from school that evening she noted that he was uncharcteristically quiet and his lavish movements were uncommon.It could ony mean one thing.Something had happened.She made a mental note to speak with Mrs.Kelly the next morning.

But Paula knew how to make Howard smile.Looking at him through the rearview mirror she starred at him and his small purple bookbag.

"You seem sad an so I guess a quick visit with Jessica would get you to smile." Paula said and a big smile spread across Howard's tanned face.

"Jezzy!" he beamed with excitement.

~x~

When they arrived the doctor greetd them and remembered Howard perfectly.Especially from the outburst.He showed them the room and quickly made sure Jessica wanted to see any visitors.When finding out it was Howard she gave a weak smile of approval to him.

So Paula placed Howard down on the bed.When Howard saw Jezzy he nearly burst into a fit of sorrowful tears.Pale skin that was sweat laced.Dark alburn hair clung to her ashen face.Her lips also took a shade of lighter blue but her hands that rested atop of the sheet looked red and irritated.She looked so much like glass.So fragile.And it unfortunately was the truth.

"Mama made me go to school." Howard begin,"I wanted you to be there but you're here." he stated softly.

Her gray eyes sparkled in the bright lights.

"Was it fun?" Jessica asked smiling weakly.

"No," Howard said softly and Paula noticed that tears glistened in her eyes,"T-these two kids named Vince and Aaron said I was I-I stinked and that I-I should d-die because I'm Mexican." Howard sobbed out and Jessica hugged him as Howard cried heavily into her and the sheets as Paula sat in utter complete shock as her face twisted in undeniable anger.

A/N: Sorry if there's any spelling mistakes. R&R thanks!
Talking To Mrs.Kelly by KissTheRainGirl12489
A/N: Thanks R&R.Sweet18 you rock and I really am trying to read that story of yours.I swear I am.I always try to read at least one piece by my reviewers.It my way of saying thankyou.

A/N: Sorry but this is gonna be a short chapter.

~Talking To Mrs.Kelly~

"Mrs.Kelly,may I speak to you before class?" Paula Dorough asked walking into the empty classroom. The young women looked up and smiled.Motioning to a chair she nodded.

"Of course...yes." she said,"Is this something about Howard?"

"Uh yes." Paula said pulling a chair up,"There were some racial comments made to my son by two boys named Vince and Aaron."

"What exactly did they say?" Mrs.Kelly asked looking intrested and perplexed at once.

"He said they said alot of things.Basically everything from Mexicans are dirty to they should die.And Howard saidhe wasn't the only one."

Mrs.Kelly sighed rubbing her brow shaking her head.

"What?"

"We've had particular problems with older siblings." she replied grimly.

"Well is there anything you can do?"

"Yes and I will talk to their parents and if I cant get through to them I'll tell the principle and we can get the state involved if we here to."
Mrs.Kelly said smiling at Paula.Nodding she clasped her hans together on the top of her desk and Paula smiled back at her.

"That'll work."
The Real World (Part One) by KissTheRainGirl12489
A/N: Hehe.This chapter is gonna be fun.=D.I'm all smiles,besides the fact that school starts tommorrow.=C but it's all good.

~Chapter Nine~

As the kids practised their letters Aaron,Vince and two adults stood talking to Mrs.Kelly drew Howard's attention.'All these letters are stupid anyway.' Howard thought as he put his pencil down quietly.

He wanted to see Jezzy.

'Wonder if I could see Jezzy?' he thought and he grinned brightly.

"You're supposed to be pract-tisang your letters." a Caucasian girl next to him said.Howard was beginning to grow irritated the more he was away from Jezzy.Howard looked at her with an icy glare.

"Shut up," he snapped and she tuned back to her work with glassy eyes full of ready tears.'Stupid' he thought bitterly for no reason.

'Now,Memorial was where Jessica was .Visiting hours were?Oh...who cares! He didn't even know where Memorial hospital was?Maybe Mrs.Kelly knew.'

Pushing himself out,he slid off the seat and walked over to her desk.Two identical eyes starred coldly back at him.

Still being unoticed,he put up a finger that he saw John use once with one of his friends and he smiled.The two small boys gasp softly and their eyes narrowed in hard anger.Both turned from him with crossed arms.

"Excuse me!" Howard nearly yelled.He wanted to know that he was heard and all the adults jumped.Mrs.Kelly looked star struck or in other words surprised.

"Yes Howard."

"Do you know where Memorial Hospital is?"

"It's just right across the street?Why?"

"Cause my friend is there.Everybody says she's sick but I know for a fact she's not.They're all too dumb to see that though." Howard said smiling and he turned and walked to his seat before Mrs.Kelly could question.

Scribbling the rest of the letters down with no effort sloppily he stood on his chair and peeked out the window.Sure enough,a large brick building stood proudly with the beautiful red letters that red "MEMORIAL HOSPITAL".

Shrugging he sighed,"the teacher said we could do whatever we wanted when we were done...I'm done."

Jumping from the chair silently he walked to the classroom door.Looking back and seeing her attention elsewhere he walked out.

A/N: Just a few pointers.I haven't updated my account as of late and I'll try and do that after I post this.The finger that Howard decided to flash was the middle finger.Unfortunately.And yes,he did make that poor girl cry.
Sad Author Note by KissTheRainGirl12489
Check my account.There's basically a note on why this story along with the rest is going on hiatus.I'd like to thank R&R.And alot of other people who know who they are (Desi, Ajsweetdelight,blah blah blah) other than that.Oh yeah,I gotta thank you sweet18_2003 because you were my biggest reviewer.Luv ya.Dancin_pacer 03-eventhou you didn't review this fic-you rock.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=2855