Knights and High Warriors by dan
Summary: Four High Warriors have been chosen for the first time in history and their job is to defend the King and their country...
Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Genres: Action, Fantasy, Adventure
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: No Word count: 2969 Read: 2689 Published: 08/14/04 Updated: 08/27/04

1. Chapter 1 by dan

2. Chapter 2 by dan

Chapter 1 by dan
“Looks like we’re in quite a fix,” quipped Khiaal.

“Really? I didn’t notice,” muttered Qisyaf as he surveyed the soldiers that surrounded them.

“Then you must be blind,” Muzahf muttered back.

“Children, this is no time for squabbling,” said Arim. “I think it’s best we focus on our friends here.”

“We *are*,” said Muzahf irritably.

“Time for a Full Moon, don’t you think?” commented Khiaal.

Immediately, the four stepped back until they were all back-to-back. All four had their swords at the ready.

“Now.”

The soft command from Khiaal was enough to send all four into motion. They sidestepped to the left in high speed, still in a circle, their swords slicing through muscle, skin, and cloth easily. They looked so perfectly choreographed that it almost looked like a dance, a deadly one.

The four High Warriors suddenly parted and started attacking ferociously, not giving their enemy any chance to recover. The four moved and attacked individually, each thrusting and blocking so fast that their blades were just blurs moving through the air.

Arim’s mind was on nothing else but the enemies in front of him. He moved his blade with incredible speed, feeling it slice through flesh but barely hearing the gasps or cries of those unlucky enough to be the sword’s victims.

Muzahf fought with all the skills he had learned during his page and squire days, parrying, thrusting, and blocking at a steady pace. He had the advantage of height and size and could mostly manage to overpower his opponent. Plus, he had a sharp brain, which he actually used.

Qisyaf had two swords in his hands, both his. He had painstakingly trained himself to use both at once and it paid off at this moment where he was facing this many enemy soldiers. He could do the most damage for he was fast with his swords, faster then most.

Although Khiaal was considered small compared to the other three, he was nimble and agile and he moved with incredible speed. His senses had been honed higher than a normal human's. He also had a few tricks up his sleeve. One second he would be in front of you, seemingly ready to surrender and then you blinked and he was gone.

The four knights slashed and cut and swung, effectively beating their opponents.

After the battle, the knights paused to take a breather and survey the damage. Bodies were strewn across the floor of the once-grand throne room. The knights’ faces were stone-like and unreadable.

They moved out to the hallway and made their way up a flight of stairs. They went down another hallway, this one grander than most. Finally they paused in front of gold-plated double doors. Qisyaf and Muzahf, being the biggest and strongest, pushed them open while the other two stood guard, wary of any more unwanted visitors.

Suddenly, Khiaal yelled a warning, “Duck!”

Two arrows flew past the spots where Qisyaf and Muzahf had been standing a moment before. They looked up to find two women aiming to riddle their bodies with arrows.

When the commander saw who they were, he signaled for the archers to point their bows down.

The four stood up and saw the Princess sitting at the edge of her bed while the Prince lay in it. He looked pale and had an unhealthy tinge on his face.

“My lords, it is an honor to meet your acquaintance.”

“Let’s save the formality for later, shall we?” said Qisyaf. “What’s your name?”

“I’m Commander Piers, my lord.”

“Piers, what happened to the Prince?” asked Muzahf.

“He was struck by an arrow. It was merely a graze but we believed that the arrow was poisoned.”

Khiaal walked to the Princess’s side to look at the Prince. He checked his pulse and the wound on his shoulder. Then, he turned to walk back to his friends.

“He’s hurt bad by the looks of it, Arie. We have to get him out of here first to heal him, though. Fast,” he said lowly to Arim.

He nodded grimly and relayed the information to the rest in whispers so as not to panic the Princess.

“Is there another way out? Maybe a way the enemy doesn’t know about?” asked Arim to Piers.

“I know a way,” said Princess Akala. “But we’ll have to move that dresser to the side.” She gestured to the dresser that was against one of the walls.

Qisyaf and Muzahf heaved as they pushed the dresser but it gave way surprisingly easy. Lifting the Prince over his shoulder, he followed the Princess’s lead through the passage. The others followed, with Arim protecting the Princess in front. Qisyaf was last and he noticed a handle at the back of the dresser. He pulled and it slid close, sealing the passageway.

Shaking his head as he followed the others, Qisyaf muttered, “Crazy castle makers.”
Chapter 2 by dan
Qisyaf was grooming his horse, Midnight, when Muzahf arrived, whistling cheerily. Qisyaf gave him his darkest glare.

Lord Qisyaf’s glare was the most feared expression in all of Jovern. Only the other High Warriors seemed immune to it.

Muzahf grinned at him and went to the stable that contained his mare, Windwalker.

“Not awake yet, I see,” he commented to Qisyaf.

The knight growled in reply.

“Well Syaf, you better wake early tomorrow. We’re setting off at daybreak.”

Syaf’s head snapped up, staring at Muzahf.

“Zahf, you know better than to torture our little Syaf so early in the morning,” came a mockingly reprimanding voice from the stable door where Khiaal stood. ‘Little’ was not quite the term one would use on Qisyaf. He stood four inches over six feet, an inch shorter than Zahf, and solid muscle settled on his lanky frame. His dark skin tone made him look even more menacing.

“Wait, what d’you mean we’re leaving tomorrow?”

“Just what I said, we’re leaving tomorrow.”

“Where did you hear this?”

“From Arie himself.”

“Have you been eavesdropping on me?” Arim appeared at the door.

“Of course not. I just… overheard,” said Zahf as he made his eyes go as wide and as innocent as possible. It looked ridiculous on his brawny body.

Arim raised an eyebrow. “And what exactly did you overhear.”

Zahf sighed. “How many times do I have to repeat this?”

“Until you learn not to eavesdrop on people.”

Zahf opened his mouth, no doubt to argue that he had only ‘overheard’ Arim, but Arim silenced him with a look. Arim’s glance was tied in first place with Syaf’s glare, according to those who had been the receiver of both. Zahf closed his mouth but not before muttering something about “overbearing Mother-to-be” and “right to plead innocence”.

“We’re leaving for Fort Strongmast tomorrow at daybreak,” Arim announced, naming the main fort of Jovern.

This time, it was Khiaal’s turn to sigh. “I was hoping we wouldn’t be leaving this soon but I suppose t’was inevitable since we’re in a war and all. But I’ll sure miss the library.” Khiaal’s eyes had a dreamy look to them.

The others groaned.

“You should’ve become a scholar instead of a knight,” Zahf informed him.

Khiaal wrinkled his nose. “Cooped up to a desk all my life? No. I would like to do some research here and there, but I don’t think I would like to do it for the rest of my life. Anyway, look where I am now, one of the youngest High Warriors in history. And *somebody* needs to lead you lot of half-wits along,” he said, looking at them with mock superiority. Then, his face broke into a boyish grin and he ran as the others gave a chase.


Just before daybreak the next day, the four assembled. The groups they would be commanding would be waiting for them at Strongmast. When the drawbridge was lowered, the four knights lifted a hand to wave at the guards and walked their horses across.

Everyone was silent, not yet fully awake. They had studied the map yesterday and had estimated tat they would be arriving at Onion Creek by midday. Till then, they would alternate from riding to walking so their horses wouldn’t tire as fast.

They arrived at Onion Creek a bit before noon, which pleased Arim. It meant they were making good pace.

The four set up a small camp, building a fire to cook some meat and washing their faces to wash away the dust and lingering sleepiness. After eating and watering their horses, they were on their way. The day was very uneventful, which the four were grateful for. All of them needed as much rest as they could get before taking up their posts at Strongmast. By sunset, they had entered Merwood.

When night fell, everyone made shelter in a clearing surrounded by large oak trees. They picketed their horses and built a fire. Khiaal and Zahf built wards around the camp, making them invisible and noiseless to anyone who happened to pass by. It was still safe territory in these parts but nobody wanted to take any chances. It would be a shame to be killed in their sleep after fighting and working so hard for their shields and reputations.

Syaf had already slipped into his bedroll and was about to fall asleep when a movement caught his eye. He squinted, trying to get a better look while trying not move so he wouldn’t scare whatever it was away. He saw the creature and froze, staring.

It was a nymph.

Syaf knew that illusions and wards were meaningless to the spirits and faerie folk but what was surprising was that a nymph even dared to appear near a human. They were famed for being shy and preferred to stay hidden from human eyes, like most magical folk. This one seemed to be a female nymph although Syaf couldn’t be sure in the dark.

The nymph’s eyes locked with his. Syaf’s breath caught in his throat. Nymphs were beautiful creatures, being the spirits of the plant or life they guarded. Syaf felt very uncomfortable. He was trying not to move but he had expected the nymph to disappear by now.

Suddenly, he heard rustling and soft murmurs rippling through the air. Startled, he turned his head. More forest nymphs appeared. The slight noise roused the other three. When they saw what Syaf was staring at, they froze instantly.

Slowly and cautiously, the nymphs approached the camp. The four gasped as one. Forest nymphs were astounding creatures. All were draped in leaves and green/brown colored cloth. The cloth – if it *was* cloth – draped and flowed around the wearers. All of them had slender and graceful bodies. Leaves, braches and vines weaved through their hair. Their faces were fair and striking and they had eyes like the lushest forests they had ever seen.

The one that Syaf had spotted first seemed to be their leader.

“Greetings,” she said, nodding her head to each of them in turn. Her voice was the combination of the sigh of the wind and the rustle of leaves and tree branches.

“Er… greetings,” Syaf replied.

“We were wondering if we could take shelter in this Oak Circle for some time. That is, of course, if you would be as so kind to spread your wards to admit all of us?”

Syaf sensed this was more of an order than a request. He glanced at the others.

“Of course, lady. We would be delighted to help you,” said Khiaal smoothly.

The four knights immediately got to work. Suddenly, the clearing seemed to be much larger than before. The four gave each other puzzled looks but proceeded with their tasks.

Once everyone was seated comfortably around the fire, Syaf gathered enough courage to speak.

“My lady, we haven’t the pleasure of introducing ourselves. I am Qisyaf la Ferr and my comrades are Khiaal la Karl, Muzahf la Sarri and Arim la Maret.”

The nymph smiled at all of them. “You are brothers,” she murmured.

“Not by blood-“

“No, it is something far greater than any bloodline,” she interrupted. “I am Shiikar, leader of the nymphs.”

“It is an honor to meet you,” said Qisyaf. All four knights bowed their heads in respect.

“On the contrary. It is I who should be honored to meet you.”

The knights, who were already puzzled by her previous comment, were made even more confused.

As if she had read their minds, she spoke, “Do not trouble your heads with worry. All will be explained.”

“Lady Shiikar, if I may ask, why did you approach us?” Khiaal asked.

“An inquisitive one, are you?” Khiaal flushed slightly. “That’s alright as long as you have the knowledge to back it up. The dryads tell me you have a lot of that.”

All four sets of eyes widened in surprise.

“Dryads?” Khiaal croaked.

The nymphs seemed amused by this reaction. A murmur rippled through the small group sitting across the fire.

“Surely you know that the oaks surrounding this clearing holds the dryads’ spirits in them?”

Mutely, all four shook their heads. Shiikar fought to keep from grinning.

“That was the main reason we came here, really. You see, a few bandits in this forest decided that there are treasures here to be uncovered and began digging up roots of plants and trees and scaring animals out of their homes. They’re even trapping and poaching just for the fun of it. They don’t use the meat or the skin, they just show the dead animals to their comrades to show off and then throw them away.”

By now, her eyes were filled with snapping green fire.

“We were afraid of getting hurt so the dryads told us to take shelter here, the Circle of Oaks.”

“What happened to the bandits?”

“The dryads are taking care of them,” she said grimly.

The four nodded, understanding her meaning. Dryads were feminine spirits of nature that reside in forests. Different ones protect and nurture various species of plant life and trees. The dryads, to help them watch over plant life and animals, created nymphs. Tales were told about dryads who had sought revenge on anyone who had damaged their forests.

After talking and asking a few questions, Shiikar told them to sleep. Suddenly, their eyelids felt as if lead were pulling them down. They just managed to crawl into their bedrolls before falling into a dreamless slumber.

In the morning, they found only Shiikar standing beside one of the oak trees surrounding the clearing. Strangely, they found themselves relaxed and rested, even Qisyaf and Arim, who were notorious for glaring and snapping at people before noon.

“I, on behalf of all the nymphs, want to thank you for your kindness and hospitality,” she said as she watched them saddling their mounts.

“As I said, it was our honor.”

“And as *I* said, on the contrary, it is ours. Before you go, I would like to give you all something to show my appreciation.”

She pulled four green vines from her hair. After she had wrapped each vine around each of the knight’s right wrists, she spoke, “These will help you along your way. They will not fall off unless you yourself took them off. No animal, beast, nor nymph may harm or trick you if you have this. You will receive help from any plant or animal mayhap you face danger. You can also understand the People’s language if the dryads allow it.”

“We thank you, Lady Shiikar.”

“May the Gods bless you.”

Qisyaf smiled uncertainly, still trying to make sense of all the comments she had dropped. Suddenly, the nymph did an astounding thing. Hopping up, she managed to land a kiss on Qisyaf's cheek.

Qisyaf blinked.

Shiikar grinned at his astounded face and giggled. Then, she skipped - yes, *skipped* - towards the forest. The next moment, she was gone.

As they mounted, Qisyaf was still in a slight daze. He had been kissed by a nymph.

"Careful, Syaf," Zahf warned playfully. "Don't get too attached. You know how nymphs are."

He did. Tales were told of nymphs who frolicked among the grass and the foams of the sea. They were known to be playful unless something truly grave was the matter. They were also very flirtatious and stories had been told of their numerous escapades.

Despite that, Qisyaf couldn't help but smile inwardly when he thought of Shiikar.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=2929