Hostages by Maggie
Summary: The evil Zophacian emperor Zator has kidnapped loved ones of the BSB. He demands the amulets in exchange. But things go wrong...
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group
Genres: Action
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: Redemption
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 7365 Read: 4924 Published: 04/03/05 Updated: 04/08/05

1. Part 1 - Ransom by Maggie

2. Part 2 - Search and Rescue by Maggie

3. Part 3 - Sacrifices by Maggie

Part 1 - Ransom by Maggie
Part 1 - Ransom

Hearing the door open, Kevin looked up to see Brian and Nick enter Backstreet Headquarters.

"What's going on?" Nick asked.

"Your call said it was urgent," Brian remarked. "What's the deal?"

"We're getting a signal. It's high priority, but," he motioned to the wallscreen, "we haven't been able to clear it of static. Howie's been working on it."

"High priority? Who's it from?" Nick asked.

"We're not sure yet, but-"

Howie interrupted, "I've got it!"

The static cleared and the face of the evil Zophacian Emperor Zator appeared on the screen. "I know you hear me gentlemen, so listen well." The boys stepped closer. "These foolish games of yours to keep the amulets from me are growing tiresome. Return the amulets that my traitorous daughter stole from me and I'll let you all live. In fact," a malicious grin slid onto his face, "I will return a few things that you treasure."

AJ shook his head. "What is he babbling about?"

The screen changed from Zator's face to a metal room with a single large cell. There were five people inside... five very familiar people.

Kevin gasped. "Kristin!"

"No!" Nick clenched his hands. "Aaron and Angel..."

"Monster," Brian murmured as the camera zoomed in on his wife Leighanne and his year-old son Baylee.

Zator spoke again. "Return my amulets by midnight tomorrow Earth time, and I'll set them free. If not, I'll kill them all!"

Static began to fill the screen as Zator's maniacal laugh filled the room. The message began to fade. Brian whirled on Howie.

"Get it back!" he yelled.

Howie was already typing frantically. He shook his head. "I can't! It's gone!"

"No!" He wheeled around and struck a chair, sending it flying.

AJ leaped aside to avoid being hit. "Bri, take it easy!"

"He's gone too far this time!"

"We know-" Kevin began.

"I mean taking Leighanne is bad enough-"

"Brian!"

"-but he took Baylee too! He's just a baby!"

"Hey," Kevin interrupted, "he took my wife too!"

"He took my brother and sister!" Nick yelled. "You think I'm just gonna stand aside and let him hurt them?"

Howie stepped between the three. "So, what are we going to do?"

Nick gaped at Howie in shock. "What are we going to do?" he repeated. "We're going to find them, that's what!"

"Without a plan?" AJ asked.

"Zator wants the amulets," Howie continued. "We can't let that happen."

Brian spluttered. "So we should sacrifice our families just to keep the amulets safe?!"

"That's not what he's saying Brian," Kevin interrupted.

Nick shook his head. "Well we've got to get them out somehow! I want my brother and sister back." He whirled around and headed for the door to the garage.

"Nick, wait a minute!" Howie called out. "We need to figure something out together. We need to come up with a way to get your families out of there without risking anyone's life or the amulets."

They heard the rev of Nick's motorcycle. "I don't care! I want my siblings back and I'm not waiting for you!"

Brian sprinted to the garage. "Nick, wait!" He burst through the doorway in time to see Nick race off into the evening. He shook his head. "You're gonna get yourself killed." He grabbed his helmet and slipped it on as he headed over to his own motorcycle. He climbed on and was about to start it when someone grabbed his arm.

"Brian, wait," Kevin instructed. "Let him go."

Brian yanked his helmet off as he turned to look at his cousin in shock. "You're just gonna let him go? Kevin, he could get into who knows what trouble out there!"

"I know, Brian. But we can't just roam the city looking for him, as much as I'd like to."

"But-"

Kevin squeezed his shoulder. "We need to come up with some kind of plan in getting our families back."

Brian looked back out into the fading light. "You're right." He sighed, then glared out of the door. "He's gonna pay for what he's done."

Kevin nodded. "He certainly will, Brian."

~~~

A single headlight broke through the twilight as Nick zoomed through town. A quick glance at his speedometer showed that he was going well over the speed limit, but he didn't care. He had to find his siblings.

"He's gonna pay," he growled. "I'm going to make him regret that he ever messed with us!" He tightened his grip on the handles. Hang on guys, I'm coming. I won't let him hurt you.

Nick zoomed around a corner and had to swerve to avoid someone standing in the street. He only cast a glance over his shoulder, then turned back to continue on when he saw more people coming into the street. He groaned and started to turn around, but the people stepped into the light and their pale faces and dark clothing were revealed to him. His eyes widened and he stopped the motorcycle immediately.

"Where are they?" he demanded, climbing off his motorcycle. "Where are my siblings? Give them back!"

A deep voice from within the body of soldiers replied, "They will be returned only when the amulets are given to the Emperor."

"Never!" Nick shouted. He drew his swords. "You'll have to fight me for them!"

Raucous laughter met his ears. "You cannot win, human. You are outnumbered."

"I can take you all on any day," he challenged.

There was laughter again as the soldiers began to circle him. "Then so be it."

With a vengeful battle cry, Nick charged.

~~~

The sun rose through the clouds over the horizon as AJ McLean rushed through town. He had found the signal for tracking Nick's motorcycle back at the base.

"Nick, why'd you have to be so stupid?" he murmured, turning left down a side street. He screeched to a halt upon spotting Nick's overturned motorcycle in the middle of the street. "Oh no."

He leaped off the cycle and started moving around, calling for his companion. The ringing of his cell phone interrupted the search. "Hello?"

"Any luck?" It was Howie.

"Well," he looked at the overturned motorcycle, "yes and no."

"Yes and no? What does that mean?" Howie demanded.

"I found Nick's motorcycle," AJ explained. "Overturned."

Howie gasped. "Any sign of Nick?"

"None."

"Nick, why were you so stupid? You should have waited," Howie murmured. He sighed. "Listen, why don't you head on back here? We need to figure out a plan to get them all back."

"I'll be right there." As he slipped his phone back into his pocket, he wondered what to do with Nick's motorcycle. He couldn't just leave it; it would be towed away soon. He started to turn away when he spotted something small and black in the road. Ordinarily he would have dismissed it as just a piece of garbage, but since Nick was missing, there was a possibility of it being a clue to his whereabouts. AJ bent down to look at it and gasped.

"No."

He snatched it up without another word and shoved it into his pocket, then climbed back onto his cycle and zoomed back to headquarters.

~~~

Kevin watched Brian pace the perimeter of the room as they waited for AJ's return. Howie had told them about Nick's motorcycle being found and Brian had begun pacing at once.

"What are we going to do?" Howie asked.

He shook his head. "I wish I knew, D. I wish I knew." He glanced out the window into the sunrise and saw AJ pull up to the building, park the cycle and dash inside. Kevin's eyes moved to the door just as it opened. Brian stopped and turned to AJ.

"Did you find him?" he demanded.

AJ shook his head. "'Fraid not. All I found was Nick's cycle upside down. And…" He hesitated, then reached into his pocket and pulled out a black scrap of cloth. "And this."

Howie and Kevin moved closer. "What is it?"

AJ swallowed. "It's a piece of Ninja Man's outfit."

Brown, green and blue eyes widened. "What?"

"Zator has Nick."

Brian squeezed his eyes shut and turned away. Kevin frowned and rested a sympathetic hand on his shoulder. "Don't worry Brian," he consoled. "We'll get them all back."

"Without letting Zator get a hold of the amulets?" Brian demanded.

"We have to. The universe isn't safe if he does."

~~~

His head pounded, a rude welcome back to consciousness. His body ached, a symbol of the fight he thought he could win but lost due to the superior numbers of his enemies. The thought registered in his brain that he was on something hard. A woman suddenly screamed. His eyes flew open as he shot up. Kristin and Leighanne were getting to their knees; they must have been thrown, he grimly thought. But where were they? A door clicked shut. Nick looked up to see a window next to the door, and standing on the other side... He scowled upon recognizing his archenemy, the evil Zophacian emperor Zator. Zator smirked, his dark eyes glinting in depraved pleasure at having captured the strongest of his enemies.

"Have a nice rest, Ninja Man?" he spat.

Nick growled. "This is your bright idea for taking our amulets?" he demanded. "Kidnapping our families?"

"Those amulets are mine, human!" Zator barked. "You and your families will be freed only when my amulets are returned to me by midnight tonight."

He scoffed. "Fat chance of that, you extraterrestrial freak! The guys would never give them up to you!"

Zator laughed. Laughed! "You are very amusing, Ninja Man. A shame you're wrong."

Kristin moaned, then rubbed her head. "Nick? What is he talking about?"

"Why'd he just call you Ninja Man?" Leighanne asked.

Zator's eyebrows went up. Nick mentally cringed. Crap!

"Can it be that you haven't told them the truth?" he asked. "What a shame. That would have made it much easier to retrieve my amulets."

"Forget it! We'd die before giving you the amulets just so you can destroy Earth as soon as you have them."

Zator laughed. Nick growled and jumped to his feet.

"You have no choice in the matter, human."

Zator raised his arm and Nick saw something dangling from his fingers. His eyes widened upon recognizing his amulet. It can't be! His hand flew to his shirt, but he couldn't feel the cord that held the amulet around his neck. No! The evil emperor laughed again.

"You will help me retrieve the remaining five. All three of you."

"Never!" Nick shouted.

Zator just smiled and nodded to someone out of sight. A hissing sound filled the room. Nick whirled around and saw vapor entering the room through vents in the ceiling.

"What's happening?" Kristin demanded.

"Hold your breath!" But Leighanne was already coughing, trying hard to stay conscious. Nick tried to move to her side, but his mind was beginning to cloud.

~~~

He chuckled as his three prisoners fought for air, unaware of what was happening to them. A smirk found its way to his lips as one by one they fell to the ground, gasping for breath.

"That's enough," he ordered.

The vapor cleared, and he waited. Their bodies were stiff, breath evening out. The ladies raised their eyes first, Ninja Man following. Zator grinned. It had worked. Their eyes glowed a deep violet; they were his servants now. He controlled them.

"Welcome to my noble ranks," he said. "My Shadow warriors."

Part 2 - Search and Rescue by Maggie
Part 2 - Search and Rescue

AJ saw Brian shift on the couch, then finally give up the search for rest and sit up. The blond hadn't gotten much sleep the night before and after AJ's return Kevin had suggested he try again.

"Any ideas on how to find them, Howie?" Kevin was asking.

AJ turned his attention back to the other two as Howie replied. "I don't know, Kevin. I really don't. I've tried searching for Nick's mind while I was Illusioneer, but I couldn't find him."

"What are we going to do?" AJ wondered. "We can't give him the amulets, and we can't risk your families and Nick. Zator didn't say where to meet, either."

Kevin shook his head. "Aje, I-"

A bright green light appeared in the center of the room, shaping itself into an orb. Glancing across the room, AJ saw Brian scowl and stand. "'Bout time she shows up," he growled.

The face of the young Zophacian princess appeared in the orb. "Guys, I'm afraid we've got trouble."

Brian scoffed and stepped closer. "No kidding, princess. Zator kidnapped our families."

Zanell's mouth made a small 'O' shape as she stared at him. "How did you find out?"

"He contacted us yesterday," Kevin said, ignoring Brian's eyes rolling. "Return his amulets by midnight tonight and he'll let our families go. He took Brian's wife and son, my wife, and Nick's twin brother and sister Aaron and Angel."

The princess nodded. "I know. My contact told me."

"Your contact?" Brian repeated. He scowled. "You have a contact and he hasn't tried to get them out yet?"

Kevin put his hand on Brian's shoulder. "B, relax."

Brian shoved his hand away as Zanell explained. "My contact isn't in a position to help get them out. You have to be the ones to rescue them."

With a small growl, Brian moved away from the group. Kevin followed, wanting to talk to him.

"Zanell, it's not going to be easy with just the four of us," AJ remarked.

"Four?"

Howie nodded. "When Nick saw what happened, he flipped out and went looking for them. Brian wanted to follow him, but it was getting dark and Kevin didn't want the rest of us getting separated."

"When I went to look for Nick this morning," AJ continued, "all I found was his overturned motorcycle and a piece of his costume."

Zanell's eyes widened. Immediately the green orb began to grow brighter. It grew in size until it could hold a human. The light faded and the boys found themselves face to face with the redheaded princess Zanell. Kevin led Brian back to the group.

"My father has Nick now?"

"That's the only explanation we can come up with for Nick being missing," Kevin replied.

Howie saw Brian swallow. "Zanell... please, is there any way to find them?" His eyes were sparkling with unshed tears, his voice small and despairing. "I'll take anything, no matter how foolish or dangerous it sounds."

AJ leaned close and whispered, "Boy, that is desperate."

"It's his wife and son,” Howie replied, “what else would you expect? Wouldn't you feel the same if it were you?"

Zanell met his eyes, having thought the matter through. "I believe there is a way. We can track his amulet."

Kevin's eyebrows rose. "That's possible?"

"Yes. Let me show you how it's done."

~~~

Zator stood on the side of the training room, watching his soldiers train with their new captains, his Shadow Warriors. The right corner of his mouth twitched up into a smile as he saw the woman that Ninja Man called Leighanne make a seemingly simple wave of her staff toward her partner that sent him flipped onto his back. She whirled around, ready for another opponent. Kristin was having difficulties, but she was holding her own against two different opponents. And Nick, mighty Ninja Man, surpassed all. He moved swiftly, nearly a blur as he took out soldier after soldier, whacking them with wooden swords, sharp kicks and punches. Yes, Ninja Man would be powerful against his enemies. The amulets would soon be back in the possession of their rightful owner.

"Sir," a soldier asked, "what is the purpose of keeping these three humans?"

"Simple. They are going to retrieve the amulets for me."

"But don't you already have possession of the strongest, sir?"

He nodded. "I do. However, I need possession of all six before I leave. And because of their relationship with the other humans that have my amulets, I am certain that these three will be the key to retrieving them and destroying my enemies."

"Yes, sir."

He spared a glance at the soldier. "What did you come for?"

"Scouts have detected the arrival of four humans, sir. Zanell is with them."

Zator turned back to the trainees. "Hmm, earlier than I expected," he murmured. "But not a problem." He turned back to the soldier. "Let them find their way to the prison room. When they arrive, they'll have a little surprise in store for them." He chuckled.

~~~

Zanell squeezed Kevin's arm, signaling him to stop. The others pulled up beside him. "We'll walk from here," she explained. "The signal ends at that small building up ahead." She pointed to a rusted metal shack fifty yards away. "Be careful. It won't be easy getting in."

"And I suppose your contact told you that."

She put aside Brian's sarcasm for the moment. "He did. Now everyone start looking for a door."

After a few seconds of searching, Brian muttered, "'Everyone start looking for a door.' Your contact told you it wouldn't be easy getting in, but he didn't say where the door was?"

AJ rolled his eyes. "Brian, did you consider that not knowing where the door was is what makes it difficult?"

"Will you two cut it out?" Kevin called. "I think I found it."

The others joined Kevin as he gripped what appeared to be a rusty door handle. He tugged once, twice, then groaned and activated his amulet. Now Power Lord, he gripped the door and barely pulled; it nearly broke off its hinges. Power Lord led the other five inside. The late afternoon light didn't reach very far into the room, so Brian was asked to create one of his energy spheres for light. He activated his amulet at once. His energy sphere cast an orange glow over everything.

"Let's go," Zanell said. "We don't know what's going to be up ahead, so we need to stick together as much as we can."

Brian glanced at her and bit back his immediate sarcastic reply. "Fine."

They headed down the corridor in silence. After a few minutes, they came to a two-directional split in the hallway. AJ groaned.

"Perfect. Now which way?"

"Let's split up," Power Lord suggested after a moment.

"Split up? Kevin, are you crazy?"

He shook his head. "Look, if we split up, we stand a better chance of finding Nick and our families. If one group finds our families, they can signal the others. Likewise if they spot trouble and have to call for help."

"But-"

"As crazy as it sounds," Brian interrupted, "I'm with him."

"So am I," Zanell remarked.

"Howie-"

"Aje, quit arguing," Howie said. "I'm sure you know that's really the best way, when you think about it."

AJ sighed. His instincts were screaming a warning at him to be careful. "All right. What's the split-up?"

Kevin gazed down the different hallways, deep in thought. Finally he said, "You and Brian head off to the left. Howie, Zanell and I will continue straight."

Everyone nodded, then headed off down the separate hallways. Brian led down the left hall, lighting the way. After several silent minutes, AJ decided to let Brian know what he was feeling.

"Bri, I'm getting this real funny feeling."

"Funny how?"

He swallowed. "Like... Like we're going to get more than what we came for."

Brian paused and turned to him. "Really? Well, I'm sure there's nothing to worry about, man. We'll get them out of here in one piece. Piece of cake."

That's part of what I'm afraid of, AJ thought as Brian continued on. He hurried to catch up. A quick check-in with the others found nothing in their way. A minute later, Brian paused and clenched his hand, extinguishing the energy ball.

"Brian, why'd you-"

He pointed down the hall. "Look there."

AJ looked, and saw that the corridor was getting lighter. They were nearing the end. Brian began to hurry. The friends soon came upon a room they recognized from Zator's transmission the previous day. The prison room!

"We made it!" Brian cried.

They found that the prison cell had only three occupants this time. Little Baylee crawled out of Angel's arms toward the cell bars. He smiled. "Dada!"

Brian grinned, deactivated his amulet, then knelt in front of the bars and took his son's tiny hands. "Hey, bud. I'm here. Me and AJ are gonna get you three out of here." He looked up at the twins. "You guys ready to go home?"

"Are we ever!" Aaron cried.

"But how are you going to get us out?" Angel asked. "There's no key."

"That's not a problem," AJ announced. "Just stand back."

Angel took Baylee in her arms, and then she and Aaron backed away from the bars. Brian joined AJ as he drew his guns.

"You sure you can do that?"

"Just watch me," AJ replied, setting his guns to their highest. He took aim at the bars and fired at each one. Angel covered Baylee's eyes when the light grew too bright. When it faded, they saw that AJ had incinerated the bars.

"Great job," Brian remarked as the twins left the cell. "Now let's get out of here and find the others. Maybe they've found Nick, Leigh and Kris."

Aaron stared at Brian. "Nick's here?"

"It's a long story," AJ explained, "one we don't have time to tell. Right now we need you to take Baylee and head down that corridor. When you come to a two-way split, go right and you'll come to the door that leads to the outside. Wait for us there."

Aaron nodded. "Okay."

"Where are Leigh and Kris?" Brian asked.

"Some guards took them away a few hours ago," Angel replied. "At least... I think it was a few hours ago. And they haven't come back."

Brian sighed. "Well, hopefully Kevin and the others have had better luck."

"Perhaps I can help with that."

AJ and Brian whirled around to see Leighanne standing just inside of another doorway.

"Leighanne?"

"Mama!" Baylee squealed.

"Brian, why didn't you tell us about the amulets?" Leighanne demanded, disappointment clear in her voice.

Brian glanced at AJ and replied, "We were trying to keep all of you safe by not telling you. Obviously-"

"Obviously you were wrong," she spat. "The Emperor wants those amulets, Brian."

"We know!" AJ remarked. "That's why we have to get out of here."

Leighanne smiled wickedly. "Oh, but you can't, darling. You've just been surrounded."

The sound of weapons powering up turned their attention behind them. Four of Zator's soldiers were now blocking their way out. Slowly, they turned back to Leighanne. Brian jolted in surprise upon seeing his wife's eyes begin to glow a deep violet.

"Leigh?"

"Give me the amulets, Brian," she commanded.

He stared at her for a few seconds, then turned to Aaron and whispered, "When we tell you to, take Baylee and your sister and run as fast as you can. We’ll meet you outside."

Aaron nodded, and Brian turned back to Leighanne. "Sorry, Leigh. But you'll have to fight us for them."

Her eyes sparkled with excitement. "I look forward to it." She leaped.

With a shout, a soldier grabbed Angel and Baylee from behind. Angel screamed and tried to fight her way out, but the soldier's grip was tight, and she didn't want to harm Baylee. She heard Aaron yell, saw him grab the soldier's arm, trying to rescue her.

AJ fired his lasers and hit two soldiers at once. Before he could fire again, a gloved hand knocked his guns to the floor. Aaron noticed, and grabbed for one. He aimed it at the soldier fighting with AJ. His hands shook. Could he do this?

"Do it, AC!" came the shout.

Aaron took a deep breath, then pulled the trigger. The beam hit the soldier square in the head and the body crumpled to the floor.

"Good shot," AJ praised as he took his guns back. He checked them, then aimed one at the soldier struggling with Angel and Baylee. He fired once and the soldier dropped to the floor.

"Now, run!"

Aaron nodded, then grabbed Angel's hand and raced out the door.

"I need help!" Brian shouted.

AJ whirled around to see Brian pinned to the floor beneath his wife, a knife centimeters from his throat, struggling to keep that knife away from him. His eyes widened and he hurried to change the setting on his laser. He aimed, swallowed, pulled the trigger. Leighanne gave a short cry, then dropped onto Brian. Brian didn't move for several seconds, breathing heavily. Finally, he sat up.

"What'd you do?" he demanded, gazing at his wife's motionless body.

"She's fine, B. I just stunned her."

Brian nodded, then stood. "Boy, she put me through quite a workout. I had no idea she could fight like that, let alone fight." He turned to AJ. "You think the others have found anything?"

AJ shrugged. "Only one way to find out." He pulled out his communicator. "Come in, Kev."

"What's up?" Kevin responded.

"Well, we've got good news and bad news. The good news is, we found the twins, Baylee and Leighanne."

"What about Kristin and Nick?"

"That's part of the bad news. We don't know where they are. Angel said that some soldiers came and took Kris and Leigh away a few hours ago. They didn't know Nick was here."

"What's the rest of the bad news?"

AJ glanced at Brian. "Well... seems Leighanne was brainwashed or something. She and some of Zator's goons started attacking us. I had the twins take Baylee and meet us at our cycles. I had to stun Leighanne, though. She had Brian pinned underneath her with a knife at his throat."

"WHAT?"

"You heard me, man."

The duo heard Kevin's groan. "Well, we'll start heading your way, I guess. We've had no luck yet. Grab Leigh and meet us."

"On our way." AJ slipped the communicator into his pocket. "Let's go Bri."

With a nod, Brian reactivated his amulet. As Top Speed, he had a greater strength and would be able to carry his wife's unconscious body much easier. The companions headed off down the corridor and reached the split just as the others showed up.

"No luck on Kristin or Nick?" Brian asked.

"Nothing," Zanell replied. "Was Leighanne really attacking you?"

"Yeah, glowing eyes and all."

"Oh no," she groaned.

"But what about Kristin?" Kevin demanded.

"And Nick?" Howie asked.

"I don't know!" Brian snapped.

Kevin made a placating gesture. "All right, let's-"

Blaster fire struck the ceiling above them. They dodged the sparks and Kevin shouted, "GET OUT OF HERE!"

They took off down the corridor, trying to avoid the blaster fire coming their way.

"Give us the amulets!"

Howie screeched to a stop. "That sounded like Nick!"

"Don't stop!" Brian shouted.

"Why not?"

"If that sounded like Nick, then we have to keep going!" AJ remarked. "We'll explain later."

"But-"

"Don't argue, just keep going!"

They raced on. The corridor seemed to go on and on, seeming to never end. But they finally arrived at the door to the outside. The twins and Baylee were waiting by the motorcycles just as they had been instructed. Brian climbed onto his cycle and Zanell helped tie Leighanne's arms around his waist. Angel climbed on behind Howie, keeping Baylee snug between them. Aaron jumped up behind AJ, Zanell behind Kevin and they raced off.

Two hours passed before they finally pulled into the garage at headquarters. Brian cut his engine and looked around at the others. They all looked as confused and hopeless as he felt.

"So..." Kevin began, "what do we do about Kristin and Nick?"

Zanell shook her head. "I don't know. I just don't know."

Part 3 - Sacrifices by Maggie
Part 3 - Sacrifices

The early evening sun cast dismal shadows through the window of Backstreet Headquarters, casting a glow on the five remaining amulet holders who sat in a circle in the main room. Baylee was occupied with his playpen while his daddy looked on in worry.

"We've got to do something, Zanell," Kevin remarked.

”I know,” she sighed, running fingers through her hair. “I know.”

“Is there any way to break this mind control?” Howie asked.

Zanell shook her head. “I don’t know. I’ve never seen my father do this sort of thing. Even so, I’m not surprised that he’d resort to it.”

“Well, there’s got to be some way,” Brian declared, turning to her. “I am not leaving my wife under control of that monster. Baylee needs her as much as I do.” He turned back to his son. After a moment, he murmured, “She didn’t even acknowledge him when she woke up. She just… acted like he didn’t exist.”

“She what?” AJ demanded.

Brian nodded, then tried to smile as Baylee looked up at him. The tot smiled back and opened and closed his fist in a little wave. A loud crackle turned his attention to the energy cell that Zanell had created to hold Leighanne until they could conclude what to do. The diminutive blonde glared out at them, her eyes still deep violet.

“You have no right to keep me here,” she snapped. “I demand you release me at once!”

Brian stood, fighting the desire to let her go, but not wanting the love of his life to be penned up. “We can’t do that, Leighanne,” he reasoned.

Sparkling violet eyes glared at him. “Then return the amulets! That’s the only way you’ll get the others back.”

Zanell moved to Brian’s side. “Leighanne, my father cannot get the amulets! He'll destroy everything.”

“You should have thought of that before stealing them from him!”

“I had to take them away,” Zanell objected. “He was using their power for evil, for murder!”

Leighanne was silent for a moment. She shook her head. “Well, whether that's true or not, I don't care. You should have stayed away from my husband!”

Brian groaned quietly and looked away as she continued. Here we go.

“If he hadn't taken the amulet, none of this would have happened!”

“Maybe not here on Earth,” Kevin acknowledged, “but it would have happened somewhere else, had we denied the amulets. Even so, they chose us.”

“You-“

An alarm interrupted Leighanne’s next argument. Howie studied the information, stopping the siren. “It’s him again,” he informed them. “His troops are… attacking the town in random groups. What the-?”

“Let’s go!” Kevin commanded, leading the others to the garage. He held the door open for the others, then glanced back upon realizing that Brian wasn’t with them. His cousin had stalled and looked back at his wife.

“Brian, come on. We need to go.”

“Kev… shouldn’t someone stay with them?”

Kevin shook his head. “We can’t afford it, Bri. I’m sorry.”

Brian bit his cheek, but said nothing. Kevin sighed.

“Look, I’m sure the twins can handle it. They’re 16, and capable sitters. Trust me, ok?”

Brian pointed to him, threatening, “If you’re wrong-“

“I’m not. Let’s go.” The cousins joined the others and raced off to town. Ten minutes later, they arrived at the spot where the tracker had pointed them. To their shock, they recognized Nick and Kristin leading the attack.

“No…”

“Well, we can't just stand here watching!” AJ declared as he became Ordnance. “Let's go stop them!”

~~

“What do they think they're going to accomplish by trying to stop Zator?” Leighanne demanded of the twins.

Aaron looked up at her and pretended to think. “Uh... that they're going to save the world from one of the most evil beings that ever lived?”

Angel spoke from her place on the floor with Baylee. “And they'll break whatever mind-control spell he's got over you, Nick and Kristin, and bring them back safe.”

Leighanne scoffed. “Ha! Those five are going to be severely outnumbered. I seriously doubt they'll get away with it. Then Zator can claim his rightful ownership of the amulets and let us be.”

“You're wrong, Leigh!” Aaron argued. “He'll get beaten, just you wait.”

~~

Zanell leaned against a light post trying to catch her breath. The battle had been tough, but she and the others had made a considerable dent in the army of soldiers. Many of the soldiers had fled in fear, and now they were left with only a few soldiers, along with Nick and Kristin. She glanced down the street and, in surprise, spotted AJ trying to climb to his feet. Even from this distance, she saw that his amulet had been taken away. Then she spotted the two figures just a little farther away. Or rather, one figure and a blur that was undoubtedly Brian.

“Zanell…”

The princess turned in surprise at the tired voice. Kevin stood behind her, leaning against the wall of a building. He was breathing heavy, and trying to stay on his feet.

“We can’t take much more of this,” he murmured.

“You have to, Kevin,” Zanell urged. “We need to find a way to break the spell that my father has over Nick and your wives.”

Kevin studied the ground in silence. Finally, he spoke. “I think… Leighanne already gave us that way.”

Zanell stepped closer. “What are you talking about?”

“Remember when Leighanne said that if we hadn’t taken the amulets, none of this would have happened?” Zanell nodded. “Well, she’s right. And now that this has happened, I want to make sure that nothing like it ever happens again.”

Zanell paused. “Kevin… what are you talking about?”

Kevin took his amulet from around his neck and placed it in her hands. “Zanell, I want you to take my amulet and find someone else to be its guardian.”

Her eyes widened in shock. He can’t! “But Kevin—“

“Zanell, listen to me!” His eyes were hard and tired. “I reject the amulet. I no longer wish to be its guardian. Take it back and find someone else.”

In her hands, the glowing jewel of the amulet began to flicker, then finally went out. Kevin’s guardianship was over.

“Kevin…”

Kevin moved past her into the street without a word.

~~

Howie swallowed against Ninja Man’s sword at his throat. How he had gotten in this position was still a blur. He glanced up to Nick, who wore a smirk, and there was a glint in his eyes as though he was enjoying what he was doing.

“Time to die, Illusioneer,” Nick gloated, raising his blade.

Howie squeezed his eyes shut, turning away. This wasn’t how he had planned on dying. Suddenly he heard a gasp followed by a clatter of metal on concrete.

What the? He opened his eyes to see Nick stumble backward. The blond closed his eyes and shook his head.

Bracing himself, Howie stepped closer. “Nick?”

“H-Howie?”

Blue eyes looked back at Howie. The spell was broken! But how? He rested his hand on Nick’s arm. “Yeah. It’s me, bud. You okay?”

“W-what happened?”

“You were brainwashed by Zator,” Howie explained. “He was using you, Kristin and Leighanne to get the rest of the amulets.”

Nick looked around, eyes widening in surprise at the damage that had been done. “Did it work?”

“I don’t believe so, but we’ll have to find the others to be positive. We fought pretty hard, and we’re all tired. Come on, let’s go.”

The reunited friends traveled through the streets in search of their companions. Nick cringed as he saw what he, Kristin and the soldiers had done. Shattered windows, fires, people running around in fear. He swallowed and quickened his step to keep up with Howie. A voice called out to them, and Nick spotted AJ and Brian coming toward them.

“Where are Kevin and Kristin?” Howie asked as they joined their friends.

I don’t know,” Brian replied. “Kristin had me ready to give up when she suddenly stumbled and dropped to her knees. Then she looked around and…” He paused, spotting Nick. “Wait a second, why is Nick with you and not trying to kill you?”

Howie glanced at Nick. “Well… I believe that whatever spell Zator held over them is now broken.”

“That would explain Kristin’s actions,” AJ remarked. “But where’s Zanell? Brian, where are you going?”

Brian had taken off toward his motorcycle. “If the spell is broken, then I need to get back to headquarters. Leigh’s still in that cell and I have to get her out.”

“But wait!” Nick shouted. “What about—“

“It will all be explained later, just follow him.”

“Zanell!”

The princess shook her head. “Not now. Just go!”

They climbed onto their motorcycles and followed Brian back to HQ. The full moon was shining on the building when they returned. The door opened and Leighanne stepped out. Brian stilled, gazing on his wife. She looked back. Her eyes… Tears fell from her eyes as she rushed down the steps to him. Brian met her and held her tightly in his arms as she cried.

“Brian, I’m so sorry,” she sobbed.

“Shh,” Brian soothed. “It’s all over, baby. You’re back and I’ll never let this happen to you again.”

Aaron and Angel came out then with Baylee. Nick hurried to them and threw his arms around them.

“What happened, Nick?” Angel wondered.

“Zator wanted… wait, did they tell you about Zator?” Aaron nodded and Nick continued. “Okay. Well, he wanted the amulets, so he kidnapped all of you with the plan that you’d be ransomed for the amulets. But when I saw that he’d taken the two of you, I got so mad that I went looking for you. But I ran into some of his goons and lost the battle. Then he tossed Leigh, Kris and I into a room and gassed us with some kind of mind-controlling gas. We were under his power. I see the others were able to get you two and Baylee out with no problem.”

“Not true,” Brian replied. “Leigh gave AJ and I quite a fight. AJ had to stun her so we could get out of there.”

“But how did the spell get broken?” AJ demanded.

Someone had to give up or reject his amulet,” Leighanne quietly remarked.

Brian stared at her. “How did you know that?”

She chewed her lip. “I… I overheard him telling someone that giving up the amulets was the only way to get us back.”

Howie shook his head in wonder. “But who could have… Wait a minute. Where’s Kevin?”

“He and Kristin left here just a few minutes ago,” Aaron explained. “He left a note, too. I’ll go get it.”

“He gave me his amulet,” Zanell said as Aaron rushed back inside.

“What?!”

Zanell pulled out the darkened amulet. “He said that Leighanne had given us the way to break the spell when she said that if you five hadn’t accepted the amulets, none of this would have happened. He gave me the amulet and rejected it, saying he no longer wished to be its guardian and that I had to find someone else.”

Leighanne closed her eyes and leaned into her husband’s arms. Aaron returned with a piece of paper and handed it to Brian.

Brian read, “I can’t allow all this to happen again. Zator almost destroyed us by doing this, but we’ve won the battle for now. I’ve rejected the amulet and given it back to Zanell with instructions to find a new guardian for it. Whoever she finds, I expect the rest of you to work well with them. See you back in the studio. Kevin” He looked up at the others. “Looks like he beat me to it. I was planning the same thing.”

But you need to keep your amulet,” Zanell remarked. “All of you do. With only five of us having amulets, my father will try harder to get them all. We cannot allow him to do that. Until I can find someone else, we’ll have to work with just the four of you.”

“But Zanell—“ Nick protested.

“Nick, as much as I want to stay, I can’t. I love you, but my place is with my people. They need me. Like Kevin said in that note, we’ve won the battle, but the war is far from over.”

The End?
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=4019