Off-Peak Hours by scarlett
Summary:

The Boys found a rather unusual time to surf on the net

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: None
Genres: Humor
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 2971 Read: 7170 Published: 05/27/05 Updated: 05/27/05

1. PART 1 by scarlett

2. PART 2 by scarlett

3. PART 3 by scarlett

4. PART 4 by scarlett

PART 1 by scarlett
A/N: This is something that came out from me when I was on my way home and thinking about the Boys...

PART 1


Nick yawned and glanced at the bunk opposite his. Where's AJ? He looked at his watch. They just got off from the last venue of the tour they're on the road for almost three hours now and usually, AJ would still be sound asleep. The tour bus is quiet except for a soft, light music somewhere. That'd had to be Howie's music collection in his laptop. Nick could easily recognize that classical music whenever Howie is around and doing something very serious on his laptop. Wait, Howie is awake too? And in front of his laptop at this hour?

He stood up and followed where the music is coming from. He reached the small pantry of the bus and saw the rest of the guys busy - with their own laptops. "Whoa! Since when did you become techies, huh?" Nick asked, as he took a carton of juice inside the small fridge and drinks from it.

"Will you gurgle first before speaking to us?" Brian said, eyes focused on the monitor. "'Cos I can smell your breath from here." There were chuckles.

"What's going on here?" Nick asked as he decided to brush his teeth. “Why don’t you sleep?”

"We’re having a bad case of insomnia. Besides, our new site is already up and going on the Internet." AJ replied.

"So that makes you decide to check it out at 3:30 in the morning?" Nick asked, bubbles of toothpaste filled his mouth.

"A fan gave Howie a bunch of internet cards, thinking he'd need it to check on emails from his businesses while on the road at the same time." Kevin replied. “And then he just read on it that unlimited surfing may be accessed during off-peak hours, meaning your account balance on the prepaid card won’t decrease as you surf between 12 AM to 7AM.” There was silence once again as they got busied on whatever they are browsing on the net.

Nick went back and sat on a chair next to Howie. “I slept just after I changed clothes and that wasn’t midnight yet. So you’ve been surfing since midnight?”

“Hell yeah.” AJ grinned as something interesting might have caught his eye.

“With that look on that face, I’m sure you’re browsing on some porn site, aren’t you?” Brian chuckled.

“No. I just bumped into an Anti-Paris Hilton site.” AJ laughed. The guys gave him a warning look, trying not to revive some ‘shitty memories’, as AJ would like to call it. “I’d like to laugh right now but I’m taking consideration to your feelings, Nicky.”

The younger one ignored the last remark. “I saw some of those.” Nick said as he placed his own laptop on top of the table, joining the rest of the gang. The elder men looked at him. “What? I’m a techie guy too. I need this aside from my cell phone and PDA.” He shrugged. “Do you still have some internet prepaid card there?” He asked Howie. The latter gave him one.

Suddenly, Brian laughed. They looked at him. “What? I’m just reading some fan fiction here. It’s pretty interesting, really!”

“Graphic Sexual or Slash?” Howie laughed, as his eyes never wavered from the screen.

“Humor, actually.” Brian replied. “We were having some farting competition and Nick won the game. And there’s also this one about a bear in which Nick thought was an alien. Could you imagine that? Sometimes, our fans have the weirdest ideas but I like it though. Very creative of them, isn’t it?”

Nick laughed. “Really? I won the fart competition. Fans knew I’m an expert, huh?”

“’Cos you always eat, with just about anything.” Kevin said, rubbing his palms against each other and started typing something on the keyboard. Nick looked at Kevin in curiosity.

“Don’t disturb Kevin. He’s having an online sex chat with Kristin.” AJ said. The guys laughed, including Kevin.

“Really? Let me see? Does she have a web cam?” Nick started towards Kevin but the man growled at him, making him stepped back on his seat. Never provoke a big, muscled man like Kevin. That was Nick’s own rule. But still, curiosity urges Nick to take a peek at Kevin’s laptop. Kevin is the last person he’d thought of having cyber sex, if that’s what he’s doing. He grinned at his elder brother.

“She’s not…” Kevin rolled his eyes. “We’re not having cybersex. We’re just discussing about having a baby soon.”

“You just made it sound more decent, Kev. Making the baby online. How was that?” Brian chuckled. He glanced at Nick. “Still wondering how to load up the prepaid?”

“No. I’m just cooling around. It looks like it’s more interesting to listen to you about your cyber experiences than surf on my own.” Nick replied. “What are you doing, Howie?”

“I’m emailing my colleagues.” The Latino replied. The tour bus stopped and they heard the driver shouting Starbucks at them. Nick got up, offering them that he’d buy caffeine for them. The guys began shouting their orders and soon enough, Nick is on his way to the Starbucks, bringing a security along.
PART 2 by scarlett
PART 2


Twenty minutes later, he’s back with the orders and some pastries and bread to go along with the early breakfast they are about to have now. As the guys continued with the net surfing and occasional bites and sips of their hot beverages, Nick began setting out his own meal: fettuccine pasta with garlic bread, two large pineapple cinnamons, a piece of brownie and a piece of banana cake and an ice cold lime Italian tea. The guys eyed him in amusement.

“Obviously, you’re not hungry.” Howie said as he tries to get a pinch of Nick’s brownie. But Nick lightly slaps his hand.

“What must I do? I’m a growing child.”

“That was like July of last year, Nick. When you broke up with that woman, I’ve seen you grown up.” Kevin said, immediately grabbing the cinnamon from Nick and putting everything on his mouth. Others followed suit and Nick could only save his pasta and his iced tea.

“You owe me food!” Nick exclaimed as the guys laughed. “I’m glad I have my salvation pack.” He grinned at them as Bruno, his security returned to the bus with another Starbucks paper bag and gave it to Nick. “Bwahahaha!” He laughed at them.

“Whatever, man. You’re weird.” AJ shook his head and returned to his laptop.

“I assure you, Nick. Your gluttony will get back on you soon.” Brian stuck his tongue out to him and turned back to his own personal computer as well. Silence overwhelmed them once again as the bus rolled off minutes later. When Nick burped after he’s done eating, the noise came back once again. Nick just smiled then watched with amusement, as the guys have been so busy with the technology in front of them. They didn’t tell in the interviews about how silly they can be when in front of the computer. They valued every opportunity they had for going online. It’s a fast way of getting in touch with family, friends and colleagues especially when their mobile phones don’t have signal or their batteries ran out. They aware of the people who posed as them as well, of the hackers who tried sabotaging their music online, of the people who have been illegally releasing their songs without their consent, of the people who hates them, and of the people who wanted them down. And they also knew about what their fans are doing online, the sharing they are having whenever they encountered them, the support they gave, the plans they were having for this and that. AJ was a member of one of the groups but decided to leave when his inbox got full from all the messages coming from the group – daily messages from the members who seemed to be online everyday of their life. Nick is thankful for having such devoted, very supportive and very loyal fans and the best thing he could do whenever there’s a chance was to talk to them if he could, allow some picture taking, a handshake, a hug, or even a kiss. He loves them. He’ll never ignore them, as much as he could. He just wished though, that sometimes, their fans would understand their busy schedule and their craving for privacy. They are still like any other normal people after all.

“You’re quiet, Nick.” Kevin noticed. Nick turned to his elder brother and saw him sipping the last drop of his iced tea.

“Hey!”

“I thought you don’t like it anymore. You’ve been zoning out since you had that last bite of your garlic bread.” Kevin said.

Nick grinned wickedly as he stood up to get the carton of juice he had before. When he stood up, he let out a noisy and disturbing fart. AJ laughed as the others groaned.

“Get out of here, Nick!” Howie frowned, slapping his youngest brother on the backside.

“Bwahahaha.” Nick laughed, getting his payback at them.

“What’s what that all about?” Kevin asked Nick.

“The what?”

“Bwahahaha?”

“I learned it from a fan.” Nick laughed like Count Dracula of Sesame Street again. “She taught me about it, and said if I’m resorting to a very evil plan. I’ll just laugh ‘Bwahahaha’.”

“You’re weird, Nick.” Kevin shook his head. Nick looked over Kevin’s shoulder.

“’I’ll take care of the baby’s formula, as long as you’ll be taking care of changing the diapers’? AJ, Kevin is really discussing about babies with Kristin.” Nick said and leaned himself to Kevin’s shoulders and read more. He even took the initiative of touching the touch pad and scrolled down the messages between Kevin and his wife. The man just let him do it. “Wow, Kevin. You want Spongebob Square Pants theme on the nursery room? That’s a clever idea.”

“Kristin likes Barney more.” Kevin said thoughtfully.

“At least, Barney is better than clowns filling your baby’s room,” AJ cringed at the thought. He obviously still doesn’t like clowns.

“I like Lilo and Stitch.” Howie said, and then made a loud whoop and wave his hands in the air. The four looked at him in rather a weird way. “Would you believe that? I just made an investment with some of my money yesterday and when I checked the status online, it doubled four times over!”

“Whoa! Like how much do you have now?” Brian asked Howie.

“A million and a half dollars.” Howie grinned.

“Then I think you should pay me back my brownie, four times over.” Nick said with a laugh. “Will you adopt me, Howie? I promise I won’t spend everything.” He hugged his friend.

“Oh, Nick! Please. No. You’ll just suffocate me with your farts.”

The men laughed.

“That’s great news, Howie. Congratulations.” Kevin patted his friend on the shoulders. He glanced at his laptop then his eyes widened. “Kristin just made a surprise,” he muttered but everyone heard him. “Seems like Howie isn’t the only one lucky today.” He looked at the guys on the table whose curious eyes are now diverted to him.
PART 3 by scarlett
PART 3


Kevin looked at each one of them then made a wide smile. “Kristin just announced that she’s pregnant.” Then he started typing on his keyboards.

“Wow! I never thought that cybersex could get one pregnant, and fast!” AJ laughed. Brian slapped high fives with him as Howie and Nick extended his congratulations to Kevin. Kevin is so proud he even announced it to their bus driver, their security on board and sent a radio message to the two buses following behind them.

“Shut up, J.” Kevin said with a silly grin and returned to his seat. He read what was on the screen. “It seems like she knew about it since yesterday but would like to wait until I come home.”

“But she couldn’t hold the surprise to herself and told you anyway.” Nick said, looking over Kevin’s shoulders and reading Kristin’s chat message.

“Get off my back, Nick!” Kevin shooed him away. Nick went away and sat back to the chair beside Howie again.

“I guess I’ll have my pineapple cinnamon back, huh, Kevin?” Nick told him.

“Probably.” Kevin laughed, as he is on a very light mood today. “Whew! What a good thing to start a day!” He stood up from his seat, his laptop in hand. “This is it for me now, guys. I need to sleep. Kristin needs a charming husband and my child needs a healthy father.” He winked at them then retired to his own bunk.

Brian cackled. “I’m glad. I’m happy for Kev. And it seems like each one of us are going to have a nice day. I just read here that a group of fans are having a charity event to support Healthy Hearts.”

“Wonderful, Brian. So do mine.” AJ said and they exchanged high-fives once again. Nick watched them as he scratched his head. He turned to his laptop and stared at the wallpaper on screen. Howie noticed his silence.

“Anything wrong, Nicky?”

Nick shook his head. “I think that I should start surfing the net. Who knows? I might get lucky on something too.” He scratched his head once again. The three men chuckled, finishing off their Starbucks drinks, and just sitting there. It seems like they finally had enough of surfing.

“You will, Nicky.” AJ said then yawned. “Well, I guess that’s the cue for me to rest.” He stood up, stretching his body from left to right. “Good morning, pals. I need to sleep now.” He yawned as he made his way towards his bunk.

“I think I’ll have mine as well.” Brian added as well. “Anyway, there’s five hours more before we reach Boston.”

“Boston? That’s our next destination?” Nick asked.

“Get into the habit of reading our itinerary, Nicky, for your own sake,” Howie said and yawning as well. “I suddenly feel sleepy too. ‘Morning, Nick.” Howie followed Brian towards where the bunks are.

Nick is now left alone at the pantry, staring back once again at his mobile notebook. It’s almost five in the morning and he doesn’t feel sleepy at all. His rest earlier was enough. He isn’t hungry and he doesn’t want to play any video games. What is he going to do? Maybe surfing the Internet will do the trick to keep him busy.
PART 4 by scarlett
PART 4
Nick tapped on his keyboards almost furiously as he got hooked on website developing on the Internet. He bumped into a site that hosts free website and has ready-made templates and user-friendly database which will provide him an easy time to build a website. It would be wonderful to create one, he thought happily. There are lots of software programs available online which provides helpful tips and user-friendly programs for him to use.

Maybe one day, he’d decide to create an animated cartoon just like what Stan Lee is doing. Or maybe he could create his own video game if he studied and asked the right people. A smile came upon the young blonde’s face. That would be cool!

The bus is now quiet. The guys are asleep. Nick has changed the classical music earlier and inserted their new CD on Howie’s laptop, in which the latter left open. Their brand new songs are now playing on his laptop. Singing quietly so as not to disturb his brothers, he continued developing his own ‘unprofessional’ website.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


AJ yawned loudly when he walked down the narrow hall and towards the pantry. He could hear his voice singing the lyrics of Forces of Nature on Howie’s laptop. When he reached the pantry, he saw Nick sleeping with his head on his arms that are rested on the table. His laptop was left open. He looked at it and saw a website. A smile slowly dawned upon his face as he saw the website created by Nick.

"Good morning, AJ." Brian caleld out when he entered the pantry.

"Sssshhh..." AJ pointed at Nick who didn't budge a bit to the noise.

"What's going on?" Kevin entered, bringing a mug with him. He stopped when he saw Nick sleeping on the dining table and smiled. "Oh, that's sweet." He grinned. "He fell asleep while surfing the net?"

AJ shrugged, "Maybe. But here, I just saw something on his laptop. Look..."

Howie is awake and reached the pantry as well. "What's going on guys?" He asked, his voice a little too high.

"Sssshhhhh!!!!!!"

Together, they took Nick's laptop and browsed an interesting website they saw on screen...


AUTHOR’s NOTE: Click on to view Nick’s site (fictional, of course :D )

this is just pure fiction, and has nothing to do with Nick or his 'Nick's Corner' which will be up and coming on the Backstreet Boys' official website. Thank you for reading and i hope you enjoyed it, as much as I wrote it and created the fictional website. :D


THE END
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=4255