Lessons in Proposing (Or Where Those Rumors Come From) by Jinnie
Summary: Nick and AJ discover a mutual attraction. One-shot. Possibly (very, very) mild slash.
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Nick, Other
Genres: Humor, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1383 Read: 684 Published: 07/18/05 Updated: 07/18/05

1. One-Shot by Jinnie

One-Shot by Jinnie
Author’s Note: This was written for a challenge before Black and Blue was released.

LESSONS IN PROPOSING (OR WHERE THOSE RUMORS COME FROM)


He hated this. He hated him.

Every once in a great while, life forced A.J. McLean to act as a mature, civilized adult. Such notable events were so extraordinarily rare that he could count them on one hand.

And now, because of him, his count was about to increase by one.

"Nick! What the hell do you think you're doing?"

His little brother looked up, shock evident in his seemingly innocent face.

"I'm showing you the--"

Scowling, A.J. climbed off the couch, launched himself at Nick, and dragged him out of the room.

"Lesson Number One, kid," he said wearily, once they were safely out of hearing range. "Don't show off the ring when the supposed-to-be-surprised lady is in the same room!"

"What?" Nick replied blankly, still somewhat bewildered by A.J.'s sudden manhandling. "Oh." He shifted awkwardly. "So... do you want to see it or not?"

For a moment, A.J. could only stare at him. "Man," he drawled finally. "She really has gotten to you!"

If anything, Nick's confusion increased. "Uh, obviously...."

A.J. rolled his eyes, then glanced casually down the hallway, insuring to himself that a certain lady wasn't anywhere near.

"Okay," he said eagerly. "Show me."

Nick grinned wildly as he pulled the delicate black case from his shirt pocket.

"I wasn't sure what to get," he said as he hurridly opened it. "But then I saw this and knew I'd found the right ring!"

Obviously excited, he held out the case to A.J. with a flourish.

For a long time, A.J. could only gape at him.

"Nick! You can't propose with a mood ring!"

"Shh!" Nick hissed. "Why not? It's perfect! I've listened to stories from you guys about how awful it is to wait for the girl to answer The Question! This way, I won't have to wait! I'll know the minute she puts it on!"

A.J. opened his mouth to protest, then closed it. In a strange way, that almost makes sense--no!

"No!" he said aloud. "You're wrong, bozo. You'll know the answer before she puts it on, because she'll take one look at it and laugh in your face!"

Nick scowled, rubbing the smooth ebony surface of the ring absently against his shirt.

"Well then, O Wise One, what knowledge do you wish to impart?"

A.J. smirked. "I don't know if I should be annoyed you seem to think I'm Kevin, or impressed you used the word 'impart' correctly!"

Nick glared. "A.J.--"

"Silence, brat. Here's what you do."

"You mean you--"

"Are gonna help you? Yes. But only if you be quiet and listen!"

Nick scowled at A.J., but fell silent.

"Okay," A.J. sighed. "Um...." he paused, frowning. "You're not really going to use that ring, are you?"

Nick eyed him blankly. "Why yes, Alexander. 'That ring' would be the engagement ring I picked out."

He sighed again. "Right. Well. Let's start from the beginning, shall we? Propose."

His little brother's level of confusion was clearly reaching record-breaking levels. "Huh? A.J..."

A.J. gritted his teeth. "Propose. To me. If you insist on asking the woman you love to marry you with a mood ring, you need to practice what you're gonna say. Otherwise, you're still gonna be single when you're twice as old as Kevin!"

Nick shifted his feet. "You mean I have to do something other than, 'Anna, I wanna marry you, whaddaya think?' and then bam! out comes the ring?"

Stunned, A.J. let out a silent prayer to anyone that might be listening. I can do this, he told himself. But heck, if *NSYNC wandered by and offered to take care of this, I'd hand him over myself.

"Okay," he sighed. "Nicky, bratling that you are, if you give Anna that speech and then present her with that ring, not only will she run from you, she will probably swear off all men."

"Well then, what do you suggest, Knower Of All?"

He frowned inwardly, deep in thought as to help Nick, when an idea popped up. He brightened. "Nicky, when did you meet her? I mean, I know it's been at least a year, but what month?"

Nick frowned. "April, I think?"

A.J. grinned. "I've got it!" He reached over and snatched the ring from Nick's hand.

"Okay, Nicky. Watch and learn."

With that, he sank gracefully to one knee in front of his already tall bandmate. "A.J., what...?"

"Just watch," A.J. replied. "When the time comes, do exactly as I am doing now."

Nick nodded intently.

A.J. smiled as he raised the ring from his bent position.

"My beautiful beloved," he said smoothly. "When we met on that beautiful Spring day, I knew immediately that you were the One. In the past year that you have given me, I have found a love for you that is deep that I can't find words to describe it! Would you honor me by accepting this proposal? Will you marry me?"

Nick blinked his eyes rapidly to keep from crying. "A.J.!" he gasped. "That was beautiful!"

A.J. smiled in satisfaction. "And that is what a proposal is--oof!"

Before he could finish, Nick sprang forward and grabbed him in a bear hug so fierce that he couldn't breathe. "Yes," he whispered.

"Huh?" It was a far cry from A.J.'s usual articulateness, but for once he didn't care.

"Yes!" Nick laughed. "I mean, I'm not saying that way about you, but who am I to say no to something like that? I could never shatter you like that! I will try! I give you my word, brother, that I will try to learn!"

A.J. couldn't speak. He had just opened his mouth to try again when a new voice caused them both to spin around.

"Perhaps this is for the best."

"A... An...Anna?" he finally spit her name out. "This isn't...I mean...whatever you think you just saw didn't..."

"Perhaps it is," Nick agreed. Once more, A.J. found himself shocked into silence.

Nick stepped forward. "Anna," he sighed gently, taking her by her shoulders. "I love you. You are my sun. But A.J.... A.J. has always been there for me, ya know? And as much as I love you... I could never betray A.J. like that. I don't love him like he loves me, but I have to try! I owe him that much."

She nodded, her smile soft. "It's okay, Nick," she said gently. "I would never keep you away from the one you're destined to be with."

Still speechless, A.J. gaped at them both. This is not happening!

"A.J.?"

He jumped, dimly realizing that Anna was gone.

"A.J.! C'mon, I have a lot to learn!"

Finally, his power of speech came back.

"Obviously!" he roared. "What the hell was that?"

Nick stared at him blankly. "That was Anna. Sweet girl. She's gonna make a girl very happy someday."

"You idiot!" A.J. exploded. "I was trying to help you propose to her!"

"You mean you weren't--"

"Nickolas Gene Carter!" he groaned. "I'm engaged to Sarah. And we've known each other longer than a year! And my God, how could you ever think--"

He stopped. Somewhere during his rant, Nick had vanished.

"Anna! It's Nick! Wait up! Please! I love youuuuuuuu!

THE END
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=4537