A Christmas Eve to Remember by Cassie
Summary: This is just as short story I was assigned to write for school. Its just about a Christmas Eve. (Leave Feed Back on what you think please)
Categories: Non-Fiction Characters: None
Genres: Drama
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 1246 Read: 807 Published: 10/12/05 Updated: 10/12/05

1. chapter 1 by Cassie

chapter 1 by Cassie
A cool breeze brushes against your cheek as you get out of your warm car, stepping into the cold Idaho winter weather as shivers are sent down your spine. The snow is falling as you look up at the big white 2 story house that has bright Christmas lights strung happily over the trim of the house and the trees. In the front yard the 3 deer made from wire and white Christmas lights look too perfect in the foot or so of freshly fallen powder. You smile to your self as you notice all the other cars parked in front of the house and in the drive way. You begin walking up the drive way as your heart starts racing and you get excited. You’ve been here before of course more then a million times, but still you feel you pulse getting faster.
You reach the two double oak doors and instead of knocking you let yourself in just as you have done since for as long as you can remember. A strong smell of cinnamon, gingerbread, pine needles and turkey mixture engulfs you as your mouth starts to water, and the faint sound of Christmas music is heard. Taking your coat off hanging it among the other 15 coats or so on the hook next to you, you smile as the voices of all your friends and family drift your way. You know that tonight the kids will all more then likely be downstairs playing video games in one of the extra rooms or sitting in the living room watching something on the big screen TV. You head down stairs and to your surprise nobody is sitting in front of the big screen TV which is usually displaying some sort of cartoons , automatically you find yourself following the sound of laughter leading you to a spare room where you open the door to find your 2 brothers , your cousin and a few other kids you haven’t seen before, saying hi to everyone and getting in quick hugs you turn and head upstairs where you start to here different conversations floating through out the air, the atmosphere is happy and very welcoming. A chorus of ‘Merry Christmas’ starts as one person sees you, eventually everyone has said Merry Christmas and given you a hug, and has sat back down and is caught up in the conversation they had put on hold. You walk into the kitchen following your grandma and she stops and smiles at you then asks if you’d like to try the cookies, her knowing you will say yes has already grabbed a fresh chocolate chip cookie before you have a chance to reject it, you take a bite of it and your in heaven the soft warm chocolate chip cookie is perfect, just the way a grandmas makes them ‘I made them special for you Hun, why don‘t you go and visit everybody, Merry Christmas’ she says and then she joins my mom who is working on dinner. You find yourself sitting next to your dad and uncle as they talk about work the next day, you listen politely waiting for the festivities to start.
Almost thirty minutes or so after you first arrived you grandma has called every one around the big oak table and the small potable table she has set in the living room next to the huge Christmas tree that looks odd, she never has an input on how to decorate it she lets the kids all do it and you can tell, its actually quiet funny to look at anyways the tree is surrounded with brightly colored packaged Christmas presents that are just calling any child to them. The kids all sit down at the portable table and the grownups and yourself sit down at the oak table. Last year your mother said the prayer and its your turn this year, you bow your head and everybody follows ‘God, thank you for a very good and satisfying year, and thank you for the meal we are about to receive, also thank you for allowing every one to arrive here safely so we can celebrate the birth of Jesus. Please watch over everybody tonight in Gods name amen’ you say and then everybody digs in. There is so many great foods to have; turkey or ham, mashed potatoes, rolls, stuffing, corn, a array of pies; banana cream, pumpkin, and apple. Unfortunately those will all come later after the event of opening presents. You look over your shoulder and see all of the kids eating quickly. You know already what’s on their mind. Presents. You laugh to yourself, take a deep breath and continue eating.
‘Can we open presents now please?’ your brother asks as he waits for the last person to finish the last of their food. ‘Go ahead, since you asked Nicky you can hand them out’ your grandma says while laughing ‘Finally’ Nicky says and everybody moves into the living room around the tree, the big blue couch and floor where the portable table once stood are now bustling with your family and friends. The presents just like every year are handed out quickly. When they are all distributed everybody starts to open their gifts. Of course your mom is there with a pen and paper taking note of what everyone got everyone that way later on you can send out your thank-you letters.
When the presents are all finished everyone gets a piece of there choice pie and then you all head down stairs and sit by the fire. For the time being everyone eats their pie while telling stories, making the room filled with laughter, talking, debates and the sound of the fire burning behind you. Nobody takes notice to the snow that is now falling harder or the sleeping kids that are laying on the floor in front of the fire. You laugh to your self and then point it out to your mom. ‘Well, Jackie I think we better get going’ she says as she nods to her sleeping boys. Your grandma agrees as she hurries up stair while your mom wakes your brothers up ‘Here Katie we’ll take them out’ your dad says as him and your uncle help the sleeping boys to the car. You say bye to everybody that is left and then you and your mom head for the door, just to be stopped by your grandma who has a couple Tupperware containers in her hand, left over just like every year. Your mom graciously accepts them and then you all hug and head out side into the now freezing weather. You turn and give one last wave to your grandma, as your dad and uncle hurry back inside to grab the boys presents. Standing by the car with your mom there are no words, just the cold breeze brushing against you face and the sound of the night all around you. ‘Your grandma sure does go all out’ your mom says and you agree as you look at the house with brightly colored Christmas lights hung happily over the house, and the 3 deer in the front yard. ‘Your coming to Christmas breakfast right?‘ your dad asked as get in your car a few moments later ‘yea I’ll be there’ you say and drive away, knowing that it was a good if not the best Christmas eve.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=5324