Love Takes Time by ashley marie
Summary: Lauri Fostern is content with her new job. It pays the bills (easily), keeps a roof over her head (a nice one), and put food on the table. The only downside is her boss, Nick Carter. From the first few moments of their meeting, they came to a mutual dislkie for the other. He thinks she is to self-righteous and she thinks this job is a pit-stop until she gets a better one, the one she worked all through college for.But being forced to spend hours and days together makes them both come to the same realization. Time makes the heart grow fonder...





Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick
Genres: Romance
Warnings: Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 25 Completed: No Word count: 43097 Read: 49961 Published: 12/14/05 Updated: 09/09/06

1. Prologue by ashley marie

2. Chapter 1 by ashley marie

3. Chapter 2 by ashley marie

4. Chapter 3 by ashley marie

5. Chapter 4 by ashley marie

6. Chapter 5 by ashley marie

7. Chapter 6 by ashley marie

8. Chapter 7 by ashley marie

9. Chapter 8 by ashley marie

10. Chapter 9 by ashley marie

11. Chapter 10 by ashley marie

12. Chapter 11 by ashley marie

13. Chapter 12 by ashley marie

14. Chapter 13 by ashley marie

15. Chapter 14 by ashley marie

16. Chapter 15 by ashley marie

17. Chapter 16 by ashley marie

18. Chapter 17 Part 1 by ashley marie

19. Chapter 17 Part 2 by ashley marie

20. Chapter 18 by ashley marie

21. Chapter 19 by ashley marie

22. Chapter 20 Part I by ashley marie

23. Chapter 20 Part II by ashley marie

24. Chapter 21 by ashley marie

25. Chapter 22 Part I by ashley marie

Prologue by ashley marie
I smiled as I dotted the 'i' in my name. I can't beleive it. I have a job. A good job where you have to sign a contract. A whole one-year contract. You know, those things that they say are impossible to get fresh out of college. Well, I got one! (I don't think 5 months out of college is 'fresh' out, but that's besides the point). I know being a personal assistant to some babied celebrity wasnt my big dream when I was up so many nights until 3 a.m. studying for my Corporate Communications tests, but still. This will pay the bills.

Even the big ones.

This gig payed alot. No, I won't be able to pay off all of my fees and jet off to Barbados next month. But I will be able to make some major payments on my loan, rent, clothes and all that jazz. Basically, I was living every college graduates wet dream. Graduating with honors and getting a job.

I felt really good when I put that pen down and handed the contract over to my new employers. Like I accomplished something. Something my mom had told me since I was little that I wouldn't be able to do. I, Lauri Fastern, was making something of myself. I wanted to call her right now to gloat, but I resisted the urge. Leave grievences in the past.

Before I left the meeting, i was going over what the expectations were from me for this posistion. They weren't quite diffrernt from what I thought being Nick Carter's personal assistant would be. I had to arrange meetings, pick up his laundry, put his car in the shop; menial, boring stuff like that. I was to meet him on Monday at eight a.m. and get straight to work. Before I left, everyone was telling me how great, how sweet, how funny and nice this guy was, like he was some sort of god. Whatever. I'll fawn over him, too, as long as I'm getting a paycheck every two weeks.
Chapter 1 by ashley marie
Deep breath in, deep breath out. Funny things happen on first days of work. Even the most nominal task, like putting the hubcap back on, can prove to be very stressful. I gripped the stewing wheel tighter and cringed while remembering the little gas station fiasco 10 minutes back. Note to self: throwing hup cap on the ground and calling it a worthless piece of crap will not make it go on easier. I had to laugh at myself. I was getting way to worked up overt this. It’s just a lousy personal assistant job. No big deal.

No,, it actually is a big deal. Because not only is this job helping me out now, it may help me in the long run. Now, it paid the bills, which is great. But I did NOT spend four years working my ass off for a major in Print & Corporate Communications to be some popstars babysitter. When this year is up, I’m getting this guy to write me an awesome recommendation letter. My big dream is to someday own my PR firm. But everyone has to work their way up, right?

I sighed as I pulled into the gated community that Nick lived in. Sometimes I only thought homes like these were only in movies. Real people can’t actually live in homes this nice and massive. I mean, whoa. They are big and beautiful and just... whoa. After reading the paper with the address once more, I pulled into the driveway that belonged to my new boss. I pulled down the visor to check my hair and makeup before getting out of the car and slamming the door. I glanced down at my outfit. Really cute pinstripe black pants from Express and a cream colored chic blouse from Guess. My splurge outfit. I figured a new job called for a splurge outfit.

I walked across the driveway while listening to the click of my Payless heels. (Don’t underestimate the power of Payless. Plus, I was practically out of money after buying the top and pants). I took a deep breath in as I knocked on the door. And exhaled. And waited.

And waited.

And waited. And sighed. And blew a strand of hair out of may face. And puled a loose thread off of my shirt. And sighed again. OK, I’m officially bored now. I knocked and rang the doorbell again. Glancing at my watch, I saw the time read 8:04. Was I at the right house? I rang the doorbell once more. After another minute, I heard some sort of life behind the door and finally it swung open.

“Who are you?” the tall, sleep-deprived many behind it grunted. I plastered my award winning fake smile. “I’m Lauri Fostern, Mr. Carter. Your new assistant.” I couldn’t bring myself to say personal. I felt like I’d loose to much dignity. After a few more moments of contemplation, he finally came up with the articulate response of “Huh?” I clenched my teeth into a smile and replied, “Lauri Fostern. Your new personal assistant.” I said slowly. “Oh, yeah. Umm... hi. You wanna come in?” he asked, still looking bewildered. ‘No jackass, I want to work right here on your lawn.’ I thought to myself. But instead I kept smiling and nodded. I walked into his house and for about two beats, I stood their gawking. The entry hall itself was amazing. Lucky bastard.

“Um, I’m Nick..... Carter. Nick Carter.” He said almost as if he were unsure, holding out his hand. “Long night?” I asked, shaking it. I immediately wanted to kick myself. That’s really high up on the ‘Things Not to Say to Your New Boss’ list. He just laughed. “Yeah, you could say that.” He replied, rubbing the back of his neck. Sense seemed to slowly slip back to him and he formed a coherent sentence. “Listen, I’m going upstairs to take a shower and stuff. You can like, look around and make yourself at home.” He continued to rub his temples, like speech and thought was painful. “OK?” I replied. Great. Now I sound like I’m, questioning myself, too.

I watched him climb his staircase, then fell back into the sofa behind me. Let me asses this situation. I was up at 6:00 to get ready. I drive for 45 minutes from my apartment to here, all dressed up, while this asshole rolls out of bed at 8:04 in his pajamas and doesn’t even know who I am?

I think I’m pissed off. Like, really. Come on now. He could at least remember what my position in his life was. If I was getting a personal assistant handed to me, I think I’d at least remember they exist. Scoffing, I kicked the coffee table in front on me. Quickly regretting that move, I pulled my foot away and pouted. “Damn thin shoe.” I muttered. I leaned my head against the sofa to reassess the situation. He left me also so he could go take a shower? During the first five minutes of me working here? This all just seems a little weird.

40 minutes later......

I was quite comfortable on the sofa with a n issue of ‘People’ I found laying around (celebrities read these?) when I heard scampering down the stairs. Looking up, I saw a woman looking pretty shame faced wearing a mini skirt and tank top. She practically ran out of the house. A few minutes later, Nick walked down the stairs, the confusion that previously on his face was replaced by a smirk. It was my turn to give him a confused look. “Long night.” He replied. “Just wished they wouldn’t take it so personal when ya kick em out the next morning.”

Oh my God. No he just didn’t.

I tried my best to plaster a smile back on my face, but I physically couldn’t. “Well, maybe if they weren’t treated like a piece of worthless trash you can throw out in the morning, they wouldn’t take it so personal.” I replied sweetly, pretending to be helpful. Just because I couldn’t leave before me year contract expired, it didn’t mean I couldn’t get fired.

His friendly, joking manner quickly washed away. Guess no one ever put him in his place before. “Do you want me to show you around to your office so you can get to work for me?” He quipped with sarcasm. Oh wow, he is definitely pulling the alpha male ego trip. I smiled brightly. “Yes, Mr. Carter.”

Only 364 more days to go.
Chapter 2 by ashley marie
We were only on this little ‘tour’ for about 4 minutes, and I finally came to the shocking conclusion that me and Nick were just not going to get along. This realization hit me after he showed me the laundry room and started explaining to me how to use the machines and where he likes his laundry put when its done. Doing this jerk’s laundry was so NOT part of my job description.

“Mr. Carter, I don’t believe that me having to do your laundry is in the contract. I think I just have to answer the phones and makes appointments and stuff like that.” He gave me a smug smirk. “I believe if you read it again that you will see that it says that you can help me around the house if your not busy.” He grinned and turned back around to the washing machine. “So, like I was saying, you can just drop the basket in my room. It’s on the second floor, turn to the left when you get to the top of the stairs, third door on the right.”

I hate him. I hate him I hate him I hate him. And I most certainly WILL be looking over that contract when I have time. “Well, I guess I’ll show you to your office now so you can get to work.” he said, leaving the laundry room and walking down the hall. Wow, why does this feel like the scene from ‘Beauty and the Beast’ where the beast was walking down that long corridor to show Belle to her bedroom. And I think we all know who the beast is in this situation. (And in case your confused, it’s not me. Process of elimination, people.) I followed him down the hall, like a good little personal assistant would, not saying a word. But trust me, in my imagination, I was so kicking his ass.

“Well, Ms. Fostern, here is your new office.” He said, opening the door. I had to hold back a laugh. I kept imagining him with a cape and a tail now. I followed behind him, walking into the large, airy white room. Everything was really chic and cool. There was a white sofa with thin tan trim, a pale tan carpet with white walls, a glass and steel computer table with a brand new iMac, and a swivel chair like I have never seen before, covered in white suede. But the most amazing part of it was the huge, floor-to-wall, wall-to-wall window that overlooked the bay. It was absolutely breath-taking. “So, there is a list of everything you should need on the desk, with my publicists’ phone number. So you should give her a call when you get all set up. OK, well, I guess your all set. I’m going to go out on my boat for a while, so….. Have fun in here.” He gave me a grin so big that I thought I was going to puke. He totally just played me. “I will, Mr. Carter.” I gave him an equally sticky sweet grin back. He walked out of the room, closing the door behind him. It took me a moment to calm myself down, regain my thought and try to scrape my pride back together. Good, no harm, no foul. All is fair in business.

Then, calmly, I picked up the nearest thing to me, and chucked it as hard as I possibly could towards the door. I let out a deep breath. OK, I feel better now. Very therapeutic. I went towards the door to pick up the object I had so mercilessly thrown. It was a small plastic figurine of a ninja with blonde hair in a ponytail. “What the hell kind of crap is this?” I said to myself. Then, within a moment, I realized that it was that stupid action hero that he had created for him and the rest of the band with Stan Lee. I rolled him. He would decorate his house with action figures of himself. Pompous ass hole. I threw it back down on the coffee table, then walked over to my desk. I leafed through the papers covering the desk, mostly from Kodi, his PR girl. It gave me her phone number and directed me to call her when I got in, just to let her know everything was going OK.

I thought about what I should tell her as I dialed her number. “Oh yeah, things sure were going swell. Mr. I’m -Going-to-go-Galavanting-Off-in-my-Boat-and-Insult-you-in-Front-of-your-Face-While-You-Sit-In-Here-and-Work sure was a stand-up guy, and I was already having so much fun and I already can’t wait for the next day to start!” Well, maybe not in so many words, but I’ll still make it sound like I’m enjoying it.

One hour later……………………

So far, the only thing I got accomplished was setting up one meeting with YM magazine for a one-page interview. And finding out that helping Nick out around the house truly WAS in the contract. So I was thrilled about that, I’ll have you know. ‘It will help in the long run.’ I chanted to myself for about fifteen minutes after hanging up with Kodi. She was actually really sweet and I could tell that I was displeased after she told me that chores were a part of my job. (She probably could tell because I blurted out ‘Are you fucking serious?’, but that’s just a guess.) Anyway, we talked for a couple minutes, and she is a really nice person. I can see me calling her while I’m sitting here bored some day just to talk.

In the midst of all this excitement, Nick popped his annoying blonde head through the door. “Hey, I’m back. If your not busy, I have some laundry you can start on so it won’t pile up.” “Thank you, Mr. Carter. That is very thoughtful of you.” I replied through cleanched teeth. “Just thinking of you.” he said arrogantly, leaving the room and shutting the door behind him.

Fucking prick.

I took a deep breath, got up, grabbed the little figurine from before, walked across the room and stopped. Lifted my arm, and threw that little plastic piece of shit so hard I thought either it broke or there would be a dent in the door.

Knowing that the figurine was him the second time around made the throw feel a lot better than the first time.
Chapter 3 by ashley marie
Hey guys!! new chappy up. IM SO GLAD EVERYONE LIKES THE STORY SO FAR!! it makes me happy!! well, here is another. sorry it took so long. right before christmas break, all the teachers decide to pile a lot of work up, so i had little time.

i promise soon there will be more interaction between Lauri and Nick! lol. well anyway, yea, here is one more chappy. sorry so short. hope u likey. (oh, and keep the reviews coming. i love them!!! and you guys rock hard!)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
“So then this asshole said, 'Wait, hun,'.... yeah, he called me hun! So he was like, 'Wait, hun, could you please put the basket over there, nearer to the dresser?' I'm thinking, 'No, jerkoff, but I can drop it out the window.'" I sighed, flopping down onto my bed. I leaned against the pillow, holding my phone to my ear.

"I don't know, Lauri. I mean, you can't really blame him. Like, he is this super privileged star. He is just used to having everything handed to him. You can't really blame him for being such a jerk to you, ya know?" I scoffed loudly into my phone. "Sara, your not sticking up for him, are you? Oh my God. After the entire story of this horrible day, your taking his side? He. Is. A. Horrible. Person. That's it. I'll accept no other excuse." Sara just laughed on the other end. "I know. It doesn't give him a reason to be that rude to you. It's just, I don't know. I've heard stuff about his family on TV. He really doesn't have that easy of a life. His parents are really screwed up. But your right, he still doesn't have a right to be rude." I sighed again. "I know I'm right. God, Sara, I only worked there one day and already I'm complaining like I've been there for months."

"I know how you feel, well... kinda. I mean, I don't work with celebrities, but I have this new really pushy boss. He's taking over Robert's old position. This new guy is just kinda... I don’t know.... crazy. Like, the type of guy who has to have two sugars and three teaspoons of cream in his coffee, stuff like that. Crazy.”

I sat on the edge of my bed, holding the phone between my shoulder and ear, putting some make-up remover on my cotton ball. “Let that jerk ask me to make him coffee. It would be over. I already do his damn laundry.” I practically growled. Sara just laughed at me again. “Don’t laugh at me!” I whined, “I’m to fragile.” “Whatever, woman. Listen, I gotta let you go. Got some sleep to catch up on. I’ll talk to you soon, chic. We’ll hang out this weekend. Just remember, in exactly one year, just 365 days, you will be officially done your job from hell.” I sighed happily. “You’re right. Well, I’ll talk you later, bitch.” “Bye, whore.” She replied before hanging up.

I tossed the phone onto my bed, rubbing the rest of my eye make up off with the baby oil. Then I got up, and walked out of the room into my bathroom. On my way ouy, I x’ed over todays date, November 5. Just 364 more days to go.

Next day....

I braced the counter. OK, I can do this. It’s easy. Take the cup from the shelf, take the pot, and pour the coffee in.

Easy.

I took the cup from the shelf, and placed, ever so gently on the counter. OK, now, take pot in hands. Pour it. Come on, Lauri, just pour it.

I can’t. I just can’t pour him coffee. Sighing deeply, I put the pot down, and just as I was about to walk into the living room to tell him off, a thought popped into my mind. If I do that, he’d win.

He WANTS me to back down. That would make him happy and make me look weak. Ha, well, I’m onto you Senor Carter. So, I poured that coffee like I never poured coffee before. I smiled.... grinned, even. Then, I took that damn coffee up to my nose and sniffed it. It smelled really good. I bet he’ll love it. No... I HOPE he loves it. Then, I put some cream into it, the two sugars, just like he asked. (Oh yes, he gave me a specific amount of sugar. I almost passed out.) I screwed the smile into place, then picked it up and sauntered into the living room.

“Here ya go Mr. Carter.” I said, beaming at him. He took it, briefly glanced up at me and gave me a half nod, then he turned his attention back to the TV. I stood there for another moment, staring at him. “Your welcome.” I said, turning on my heels and walking towards my office. I walked into my office, sat down in my chair, and opened up the last file up on my computer. After about five minutes, he came waltzing into my office. “Hey, sorry about that. Thanks for the coffee. It’s really good.”

Oh my God. He has some heart. “No problem Mr. Carter.” I said, shrugging. Well, maybe he just takes a long time to warm up to people. I guess he’s not so bad after you really.... “Oh, and by the way, my car needs to get taken to the shop, so whenever you get a free minute, preferably within the next twenty, that would be great.” He finished. Then, he took a sip of his coffee, smirked at me, left, and shut the door behind him.

I coped with this encounter the best way I knew how. I picked the small figurine up off the table and threw against the door. I was really going to find a new way of coping. My arm was starting to hurt. Maybe I could just key his car when I get it back from the shop. But he might dock it from my pay. Bastard.
Chapter 4 by ashley marie
Alright guys... i proudly presesnt chapter 4. hope u likey. i wont be persoanlly resonding to reviews, because it makes the review page look cluttered and stupid. but i do want to say thank you here to everyone that reviews. it really keeps me going. i really hope you like!!!! please r&r.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

One week later.......

I laughed at loud at Kodi’s newest ‘Nick Carter Horror Story of the Day’. I had talked to her everyday this week, and she always had a true life account of Nick being an asshole, acting stupid, or both to make me feel better. It was almost like a drug. I needed to know that I wasn’t the only one he acted like a jerk around. I wiped a tear from my eye, still laughing. “God Kodi, that was the first story that made me laugh so hard I teared up.” She just chuckled on the other end. “Just wait till tomorrow’s installment.” I just started laughing again, sipping on my Mocha latte I picked up on the way to work. “So, other than having to come into contact with Lord Egotistical, how is the job going?” “It’s actually good. Today is really good cause he’s not in, he went out with the brat pack from Jersey. But it’s really not that bad. I think he’s already getting bored of trying to piss me off, so it should only be another week or so before he forgets I’m here. The only part that really sucks is the drive.” “Why’s that, traffic and stuff?” “No, when I leave, there is basically no traffic out at all, but it’s just the hike. It’s forty-five minutes from my house to his.” “Really, I didn’t know you lived that far from his place. Well, I’ll get some people looking for a place for you closer to his. Listen Lauri, I have to dash. I’ll talk to you on Monday, and I’ll have some more information for you about that. Have a good weekend. Alrighty?” “Umm... yeah, ok. Talk to you next week.” I said, slowly putting the phone down on the cradle.

Wait, what? ‘We’ll get some people looking for a place closer to his?’ What does that mean? Whatever, crazy industry people.

On that note.... whatever. I got up and walked to my office door and down the hall to the kitchen. Nick was out with the Jersey crew and I was pretty sure that since he left this morning around 11, he wouldn’t be home until.... tomorrow. Or at least late tonight. I’ve only worked with him for over a week, but I already knew his pattern. He leaves at little after I show up in the morning, and he comes back hours me shift is over.

And I’m NOT complaining at all. I get his whole huge house to myself, with his stocked fridge, and his plasma TV. I just put my message on in my office, and if anyone calls, they leave all the information I need, and I just get to it later. This is the perfect job.

I started forging through his fridge, hoping to find some leftover pizza. I finally found it towards the back, and pulled out a can of Sprite. I put a slice of cheese pizza in the microwave for just a couple of seconds, threw it on a paper plate, grabbed my drink and retreated to the living room. I kicked my shoes off, flipped on the TV, and began to search for something interesting. I finally settled on a ‘Friends’ marathon. This is my perfect Friday. Sitting on my boss’s sofa, eating my boss’s food, while watching my boss’s plasma TV. I guess life didn’t suck too much.

Saturday – November 10th

“I like M.A.C., but my favorite line is at Sephora. Urban Decay... they’re lip gloss is fantastic.” Sara said, pulling me into Sephora. “Sara, I really don’t have money to be splurging on makeup.” I said, walking behind her. I hated Sephora. I mean, I absolutely loved it, but whenever I went in their, I just wanted to buy everything, and I just didn’t have the money. Sara rolled her eyes and sighed heavily. "Yeah, but you get paid next week... you know..... ‘cause you have a job. So don’t worry about it. You worked hard this week; you deserve to splurge a little.” I laughed at her statement. ‘Yeah Sara, I worked like a dog all week.” She just smiled and walked up to a display. "Try this lip gloss on. It’s really pretty, really shiny, and no so sticky. It’s my favorite.” She continued, handing it to me. After I took it, she threw one for herself and a few other things into her own basket. She’s right. I do deserve a little something. So I threw a couple of things into my basket, too.

I guess this is why man invented the credit card.

A few hours later, and after hitting up Victoria’s Secret and Bakers shoes, Sara and I sat in the food court of our favorite mall, sipping on Very Berry smoothies. She glanced down at her watch. “Oh, Petra should be here in about a half hour. You wanna come catch a movie?” “Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. What we gonna see?” I asked, finish up the rest of my drink. “Probably like, ‘In Good Company’.” She replied with a smirk. “Oh God, I always forget you guys are like, the Tophoo Grace fan club.” She laughed then sighed. “It’s Topher, my dear. Topher. And he’s fabulous.” She said. “Come one, let’s go to Mandee’s, that’s where she coming to meet us.” Sara said, getting up and throwing her Styrofoam cup in the trash, I followed suit, then began to walk beside her. “So Sara, how’s the job hunt going for Petra?” I asked. “Yeah, she really need to start looking for one of those. I think even her dad is starting to get pissed off.” I just laughed. Petra was one of our more well off friends. Her dad was a co-founder of Samsung, so she had no problems in life. She was a roommate in college. She actually really reminded me of Rachel from friends. She was so damn clueless when her dad basically pushed her out into the real world to fend for herself. I think he knew that she was starting to get too spoiled. Well, just a few months with us and she started to figure stuff out quick. We didn’t take her prissy ‘I don’t want to cook or clean for myself’ shit. Even though she still has some of her bratty attributes, she really did change a lot in four years.

So there we were, walking to Mandee’s minding our own business, when my biggest fucking nightmare saunters by. “Holy shit, Sara. It’s him. It’s my boss.” I basically squeaked, trying to hide behind one of those carts that sold fake hair pieces. But, sadly and naturally, Nick spotted me. His face broke out into a huge grin and he began to walk towards me. Sara poked at me. “I think he noticed you.” She whispered. Thank you, Sara, for your insight. I huffed as he walked up to me. “Hey Lauri, how’s it going?” He asked. “Fine, Mr. Carter. Just peachy.” I replied threw gritted teeth. Sara coughed lightly behind me, poking me again. “Mr. Carter, this is my friend, Sara. Sara, this is my boss, Mr. Carter.” I strained. “Please, Lauri, it’s Nick on the weekends.” He smiled fakely. ‘I hate you.’ Was all I could think. “Her best friend.” Sara continued, oblivious to the tension between me and him. “Lauri just talks about you all the time, how much she likes coming into work everyday. She loves it.” Sara said, her smile big and blinding. I gave her the dumbest look ever. She just smiled at me. “Don’t cha, Lauri?”

I almost choked. He knows I hate him and the job. What the hell do I say? What the hell is she thinking? “Ummm... yeah. All the time.” I replied in my questioning tone. Well, this is one of the more uncomfortable situations in my life. "So, what do you ladies have planned for the day?” He asked, peering down at our bags. Thank god Sara was there, because I was to dumbfounded to form a sentence. I tried to hide my Victoria’s Secret bag behind my back, but it was too late, I knew he saw it. He does not need to know I shop there. He’s like, my boss.

“Just having a girly day, you know. We been shopping all morning. Hey, were actually going to hit up a movie, you wanna join us?” Sara asked. I inwardly scoffed. Yeah right. Nick hanging out with his ‘secretary’ and her friend. He wouldn’t be caught dead with us. I actually can’t believe he is even talking to us now. He’s probably trying to figure out how to leave as quickly as.... “Sure, I’d love to join you ladies.” He smiled, staring at me.

Well, this is going to suck a little bit more than alot
Chapter 5 by ashley marie
Little A.N.: Just a quick blurb, we’re all going to pretend that his solo album dropped in October 2005, instead of 2003, and Never Gone has yet to be released, the Paris Hilton scandal and arrests DID happen, just so ya’ll know what the background for the story is. Thank you thank you!!
also, i should be going on my aim more ofteen, so if u ever see me on and wanna chat, id love to hear from u. about the story or anything!! its phillychic53. well, here is chappy 5. i hope hope hope u like. im trying to take this story in a different direction, and i hope yall enjoy!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 5

What in the hell was she thinking? What the HELL was she thinking? Why would she ever do that to me? Why! She knows I hate him. Even more, she knows he hates me. What was she, I mean, what could have possibly been going through her head? Ok, wait, slow down. This is your friend here. There has to be some logical explanation. She probably thought he would decline, but wanted to look courteous or something. Yeah, that’s it. She didn’t know he’d accept. Hell, I didn’t even think he’d accept. What was I gonna do? I NEED to get rid of him. Or both of them. OK, I could maybe tell them….

Wait a minute. This is MY friend. This is MY weekend. He walked in on MY plans. He should be the one leaving. Just then, I had the most brilliant thought. Yes, I knew something was up! I know exactly how to get rid of him, while looking like a nice little employee. “Mr… I mean… Nick. I thought I had booked an appointment for Teen Vogue on Thursday for this afternoon.” I smiled. Stupid dumbass. He’s supposed to be at the hotel in like, 40 minutes for the interview. “Nope. They called this morning to cancel. They rescheduled for tomorrow.” He shot me the smuggest smile ever.

I hate him.

I glared over to Sara, who looked somewhere between confused and amused. Tension was running high within our little trio, all the while, Nick looked like he was soaking it all in. Doesn’t he just love causing terror. “So, Nick, what’s been going on with you?” Sara asked, desperately trying to ease tension. “With me. Well, I just dropped a solo album a little less than a month ago, so I’m really excited about that. And I’m going on tour with in the next two months, just before Christmas. So, that should be pretty awesome.”

For a second after he stopped talking, I almost felt bad for him. The only way he knows how to communicate with people is like they were a reporter. I mean, he totally just talked to her like she was a gossip columnist for People. But then I just figured it was because he was self-absorbed and likes to tell people he gets to travel all over the country and get paid for it.

As we were all standing around Mandee, I finally spotted Petra walking towards us. God, she always overdid herself for the mall. She was in this blue and white velour zip up and mini skirt, both Juicy velour, naturally, Channel aviators, and Channel heels, her hair freshly dyed auburn, down and curled loosely like she was going to prom.

“Hello ladies!!” she squealed as she saw us, giving us big hugs. “And… guy I don’t know.” She said, staring at him with her face scrunched. Hey, I said she was rich, not proper. “I know you.” She said, wagging her finger at him. “Your… that guy.” she said, still thinking. I guess I should also point out that the pop culture world was not her thing. While she always flipped through the gossip magazines and watched TV shows featuring the rich and famous, it was only to see what was the hot style. Her music of choice was underground punk. Looking at her you would never guess, all bubbly and cute, but she couldn’t pick Ashlee Simpson out from Gwen Stefani if her life depended on it. The world does work in mysterious ways. “He’s…” “No! Don’t tell me. I can figure it out.” She said, looking deteremined. This was obviously the strangest introduction that he has ever been involved in, and I could tell by the look on his face. “I saw you in a magazine picture… with Paris Hilton…. She was wearing the gorgeous black Channel silk floor length… I totally bought one after I saw that picture…. Oh, wow. I know. Your Nick Carter.” She said proudly.

I don’t know if he looked so indignant because she only remembered him because he was in a picture with a girl who was wearing a nice dress, because she mentioned Paris Hilton, or both. “I really like your outfit , Petra!” Sara chripped, changing the subject quickly. “Thanks Sari! I just bought it last week. Isn’t it fab? Well, come on girlies… and dude… we have to go watch Topher!” She squealed, and for the first time in a couple minutes, even Sara got excited. They raced in front of us, yapping away.

Number one: I hate Sara for inviting Nick
Number two: I hate Nick for accepting
Number three: I hate Petra for being so damn clueless
Number four: I hate myself for acting so damn timid around Nick.

I took in a deep breath. This is it. I was going to have to be the bigger person. I will have to try to bury this damn hatchet. I will try to be peaceful. “Umm.. Sorry about Petra. She can be a little… dopey.” I admitted bluntely. “It’s no problem, I know how it can be.” He smiled at me. Well look at this. We are totally sharing a moment. You know, this whole being nice to each other thing isnt too bad, afterall. Actually, I can get used to… “Oh, by the way, I wont be in my house Monday morning, so before I forget can you pick my car up from the shop and set one of the guest rooms up. My friend Brent is coming down for the week.” He instructed, then grinned.

I hate him.

“Yeah, Nick. I can do that for you.” I replied. I gave him that look that says ‘I really want to hurt you right now’ and he replied with a look that read ‘Bring it on’. We were definetly having a moment, and he definetly ruined it. And, he made me hate him again. Like, more than ever.Just then, Petra came between me and Nick, and Sara was at my side. “So, Lauri, I hear you work for Nick. How do you two get along?” Petra asked.

I truly do love Petra. She tries oh-so-hard to be on everyones good side. And now, she was desperatly trying to involve everyone in light conversation. And bless her soul for that. But sometimes, God how I just wanted to smack her in the face while screaming ‘Don’t you get it!’. This was one of those times. “We get along just fine. Lauri is a great employee.” He gave her a grin from hear to ear so blinding I thought I’d have to borrow Petra’s sunglasses. “Well that’s awsome. So what do you do Lauri?”

Please, please shut up Petra.

“I… ya know, book meetings for Nick… and stuff.” I said. “Come on Lauri. That’s not all you do. She also helps out with my housework. Does my laundry and vacuums and everything. Such a good worker.” He smiled smugly. Well, this is humiliating. Yes Nick, declare me as your servant in front of my two closest friends. Thank you, sire, I’m honored. “So.. You’re like… a maid? That’s… cool. Really noble.” Petra smiled, trying to be optimistic. Like I said, she tries.

“No, Petra, Lauri isn’t a maid. She is an assistant. She also assissts giving overpriveliged rich people help doing house work that they think they are above doing themselves.” Sara said, her voice getting tense. Yeah, Sara may be small and petite, but she has a nasty bark. Nick looked visably shaken. I guess he has never been attacked by a chic 5 foot 3 before. “Well, I wasn’t saying that… ya know… Oh, hold on a minute.” He looked visably releived, pulling his cell out of his pants, flipping it open, and reading a text message that he just recived.

“Well, ladies, as much as I’d like to join you, I have to go meet up with some people. I guess I’ll cya around.” He said, looking each one of us over. I think I was giving him just a relieved look as he was giving me. Sara looked like she was ready to pounce on him and rip his eyes out, and Petra looked a tad confused, while waving good-bye. He turned on his heels and speed-walked as fast as he could in the other direction.

“He is a fucking jerk.” Sara spat. “Yes I fucking know! Why did you even invite him in the first place?” I asked. “I don’t know, it just came out. I didn’t think he would actually come anyway.” she replied. I sighed heavily. “Thanks for tounge-lashing him. He looked like he was about to piss his pants.” I smiled at Sara. “No problem, sweetie. You really need to stand up to him. You’re letting him walk all over you.” “I know. I used to, it’s just. I don’t know. I’m nervous I’m going to lose my job, I guess.” Sara just smiled. “Well, if he gets outa line again, just let me know. I’ll go over there and yell at him again.” she laughed.”Thanks Sari.” I smiled, continuing to walk down the hall with her and Petra towards the thearter. “So, let me get this straight. We don’t like Nick, right?” Petra asked.

She really does try.
Chapter 6 by ashley marie
Chapter 6

Hey all! Wellz, I finally actually mapped out where the story id going. Ive just been writing down whatever comes into my my head when I get on the computer to write, but now I have like, a set storyline. So, go me! Hehe. Anywho, this chappy is a little longer, so that’s a plus, ive noticed my chapters are pretty short.
I’m really excited about chapter 7, because I think that’s where the story is gonna take off, if I write it right!! Well, hope you enjoy this chapter!!! Please please review, I wanna make sure every1 still likes. ***muah** darlings!

Monday, November 12

“So he was bitched out by you and your best friend. That is freakin classic.” Kodi snorted on the other end. “Yea, I sure do win the gold star for employee of the month.” I replied, absently replacing some random papers on my desk. “Yea, well, even if your not little Nicky boy’s favorite, you certainly are doing a good job.” Kodi replied on the other end. “A good job? Kodi, you do know that I’ve been working here for like, one week, right?” She just laughed. “I wish you could’ve seen some of the girls that have worked here before you, hun. You would’ve loved it.”

“Whatcha mean?” I asked, sitting back in my chair. This sounds like it could be an interesting story. “Well, there were two girls before you. Both of them were like, the epitome of psycho fans. Girly, I don’t know if you know or not, but you are living every Nick Carter fans wet dream. You know his address, the code to his house, his home and cell phone number, his e-mail, you work right in his house, and you see him everyday.” “If I only knew sooner I would be so fortunate.” I deadpanned. “To them, you are. Well, like I was saying, total psycho fans. The first girl, Tina, called him late at night. And I’m talking, like, 2 and 3 in the morning and then hang up. Completely weird. They e-mailed him, IMed him. And the same chick, Tina, since she knew his schedual, she would show up to places she knew he would be. But the worst was the last one, Kimberly. She actually started taking pictures of him, all around his house, all up in his bedroom. Obviously freaked Nick right out. Had all his numbers and codes changed. It was a mess.” “Then why would you hire another young girl? Isnt that like, a signal flag?” “Obviously was. I actually didn’t want to hire you. I mean, you had the perfect resume, considring you were straight out of college, and your grades were awsome. But I was afraid you would be another crazy one. But Beckka, my boss, likes hiring girls out of college to try to give them work experience, cause she’s all about the feminist movement or whatever. That’s why I was so releived when you called me the first day and were bitching. I was never so happy to hear someone complain about that boy in my life.” she finished. I laughed. “So like, they did his laundry… and were happy about it?” I asked. “Happy about it? God, they kept some.” She laughed. “That’s so weird. They…. Did his laundry….. And were happy about it.” I replied, amazed. Kodi laughed. “Your missing the point, hun. They kept his dirty underwear. I thought that was kinda strange.”

I smiled, then cringed. “It definetly is trifling. . You know what Kodi? We need to hang out. I need to like, meet you and bash Nick in person.” I said. “We have to. It would be fun. Oh shit, which reminds me. You said you didn’t like the commute from your apartment to Nick’s, right?” she asked. “Umm, no. It’s like, 45 minutes. Kinda sucks extra early in the morning.” I laughed. “Would you want an apartment about 10 minutes away?” she asked. “Um… I guess?” I said. I could never afford any place 10 minutes away from here. It was all really expensive places. I bet even the apartments ran for at least 6 thousand a month. And that would be considered the ‘crappy’ apartments. “Awesome. It’s a really really small side thing, but Jive does this housing thing. Basically, we put new employee’s up in an apartment for a year, just till they get on their feet, then they move out, and another new employee moves in, the cycle goes on and everyone is happy.” Kodi replied. “Wait, what? So, you’d give me an apartment…. I don’t have to pay…It seems really simple but I don’t understand. Where do you guys benefit from this?” I asked. “It increases employee productivity. We started it about ten years back, and their were like these, dudes doing studies here and everything. It showed that employees were just doing better as a whole, because there was less stress of saving money. Basically, the program wants you to be able to start saving money for a year, so that you can buy a nice place when the year is up. You’re happy, were happy. It all works out. Not all employees are eligible. You just happen to be a friend of someone who is a good friend of someone who controls the list.” “Are you serious? So I won’t have to pay rent, electricity, heat, water, none of that?” “Nope. Now I’m not free today, but what are you doing after work tomorrow? We can meet up, take a look at the place, then we can go get a drink afterwards.” She replied coolly. Like this was normal. Like relieving someone of financial stress was something she did on a day-to-day basis. “I love you.” I blurted out. Kodi just laughed on the other end. “Don’t worry about it. Thank me after you make sure you like the place.” “Kodi, I don’t care if it’s a cardboard box, it’s fucking free. Do you even know how much this is going to help me. I mean, I can make bigger payments on my student loans. I can repay my credit card bills. This is… this is the coolest, weirdest, most awesome thing that has ever even been mentioned to me.” She continued to laugh on the other line. Don’t worry about it sweetie. Listen, I have to go now, but I’ll swing by Nick’s house after work tomorrow, and we’ll go down to the place. Is that cool?” She asked. “Yeah.” I breathed. “Alrighty, I’ll see ya tomorrow.” She said. “Cya.” I replied, dropping the phone into the cradle.

I think I’m about to pass out. I am literally having a hard time breathing. No payments for an apartment? At all? Not even utilities? This was just… it was just woah. This had just become the best job that I could ever ask for. Ever. I didn’t even care as Nick popped his head in my door.

“Hey Lauri, how ya doing?” He asked. Bitch. Ruin the damn moment. I knew he was trying to act all nice because Sara had called him out. He was looking nervously around the room, and I wanted to tell him Sara wasn’t here, but I thought he looked kinda funny scanning the wide flat room, so I let him keep doing it for amusement. When he was finally satisfied, he walked in. “So, I’m about to go pick Brent up from the airport now. Did you set up that guestroom for me?” He asked, his damn smug attitude back in check.

I wanted to be snippy and rude and make some remark that would just make me feel better about myself, but I couldn’t. I wasn’t risking this job. From this point on, he can walk all over me as much as he wants. I don’t care. Cause even though he is being a bitch, I will be going home every night to a FREE apartment.

“No Mr. Carter. I didn’t get to it yet.Let me just finish putting in this appointment and I’ll get right on it.” I said in my best trying-to-be-a-effiecent-worker-while-not-trying-to-look-sarcastic voice. He gave me a strange look, then just nodded. “Yeah, so I’ll be back in about two hours. We’re probably going to stop somewhere to eat.” He replied, walking towards the door. “Alright, Mr. Carter.” I replied absently. I felt him staring at me as I began to type on the computer. I know he thinks I’m bipolar or something. Whatever, fucker. I’m the one making out in the end.


Tuesday

Of course, Tuesday was the longest day of my life. I was so damn excited to see my new apartment, I even got dressed up. I was in these awsome Victoria’s Secret lavender pinstipe pants, with this awsome creame blouse and my new heels. I looked uber professional, considering yesterday I wore a complete relaxing on the weekend outfit consisting of khaki capris, sandals and a a white cotton button down. (I figured from day one my cute pantsuit outfit was just not the right attire for this envirnment. He was damn lucky I didn’t know up in my pajama bottoms.) Time was slowly ticking by, and it seemeed like there was less and less for me to do. I almost wish Nick would’ve gave me something at least partially productive, but he was to busy with Brent. I actually havent even seen him at all today, which was freaky, cause he always pops in a least twice to tell me to do some meanial task. Brent was actually a sweet guy. I met him yesterday when Nick brought him in. I mean, he seemed down to earth, but then again, I spoke to him for all of about, 47 seconds.

Finally, it was 4:30, and I knew Kodi would be here any minute. She left her office at 4 and said it takes about a half hour to get from there to here. I decided to close shop and wander out into the living room, thinking that no one would be there, but, lo and behold, they were both sitting on the sofa, playing Miami Vice or some other strange game where you drive around and shot random pedestrians.

“Well, don’t we just look like a hot little sex kitten?” Brent asked, pausing the game.

God damnit I hate my life. Scratch Brent off the nice list.

In these situations, I never know if I should just smile, give an uncomfortable laugh, or flip him off. So I opted with the ‘whatever, loser’ look and sat on the arm of the sofa. “Good afternoon, boys.” I said with my exasperated and bored tone. Nick just kind of stared at me for a minute. I’m pretty sure he was trying to think of some witty remark or something, but was just to lazy to form the words, so he let Brent go on again. “Damn, Nick, I wish I had sexy-ass bitches working for me at my house.” he finished, going back to the game.

Even Nick looked offended, so I knew I had a right to be pissed off.

I don’t really know what came over me, but the next thing I remember that I was next to the Xbox, yanking the cords out of the machine and throwing it across the room. I walked a few feet in front of where he was sitting and stared at him with more malice then I have ever stared at anyone before. “I swear to God, if you ever disrespect me like that ever again, I will fucking rip out your throat with my bare hands and shove my Franco Sarto heel right up your ass.” He looked up at me with an expression that read, ‘I am going to piss myself now.’ I chucked the one cord that was left in my hand right onto his lap, glared, then proceeded to walk to the front door.

I don’t know why I got so angry…. but I did. I leaned against the wall of the fron of the house, trying to figure out why that small remark threw me over the edge like that, when Nick came outside and stood next to me. “Hey, I’m really sorry about that. That was really out of line for him to say that.” He said. “Yeah, and you sure did a hell of a job letting him know that back there.” I replied. OK, I know I shouldn’t be bitter at him, but I was. He laughed uneasily. “If I told you it was because I was afraid to speak in your presence, would you forgive me?” He asked. I just chuckeld. “Yeah. I forgive you. Hey, I hope I didn’t ruin your game thingy back there.” I said.

And I really hoped I didn’t. Cause if I did I would probably be buying him a new one.

“Nah, it’s cool. I’ve done worse when I get pissed off at my raching games.” He replied. I smiled at him and he spoke up again. “Well, I’m going to go back there and… well probably tell him off….. and finish the game.” he admitted. “It’s cool. Not your fault your friends an asshole.” I shrugged. “No Franco Sarto up my ass?” he laughed. “I promise.” I replied. He smiled back. “I’ll see ya tomorrow, Lauri.” He stated, walking back into the house.

Ok, we shared another calm, friendly moment. I’m wating for him to come back out and tell me to do his laundry or something, anything to fuck it up, but that moment never came. Then I saw a car coming up the driveway and smiled. The anger pured out of my body as I realised I was about to go see my new apartment. My new, free apartment.

This is going to rock hardcore style.
_________________
Chapter 7 by ashley marie
AN: Hey all. well, this story took a little bit of a differnt turn then i originally planned, but i hope everyone likes. sorry this one took so long!!! please please review. reviews are starting to become scare, and i wanna make sure everyone is still reading/liking. i wanna say thanks to the ladies that review every chappy. im sooo glad u like. well, here it is, everyone.

Chapter 7

“I finally meet my partner in crime!” Kodi said, shutting the door of her BMW. She walked right over to me, giving me a giant hug. “So good to finally meet you. So, what’s going on with you?” She asked. “Good to meet you too. Nothing to much going on with me. I just threatened Nicks’ friends’ life, but other than that, nothing much.” I said casually. She snorted. “Brent’s here?” she asked. I nodded and she rolled her eyes. “He’s such a fucking pig. Don’t worry about him. Anyway, we can trash him over a martini. But I’m sure right now your ready to go see your new place.” she said. “No, I’ve only been waiting all day.” I replied with a laugh. She smirked. “OK chick. Follow me. It’s not to far from here.” She said, walking back to her car.

It really wasn’t that far of a drive. Barely ten minutes. I followed Kodi into this ultra-swanky garage. I don’t really know how they managed to make the garage look swanky, but they did. There was like, this dim lighting, palm trees, and this futuristic looking glass doors leading into the elevator room. I stopped behind Kodi’s car as she got out and let a vallet get into to go park hers. I got out of mine and gave another vallet my keys and followed Kodi to the automatic doors. “They have vallet’s in an apartment building?” I asked, waiting for the eleveator to reach our floor. “For what the tenants are paying to stay in this place, they better have.” she remarked, stepping into the elevator. “We just have to check in at the front desk first to pick up your room key, then we can go check out your place.” She replied, hitting the lobby button. “So, Kodi, how long have you worked for Jive?” I asked. “I’ve been working with them for 6 years. Ever since I got out of college. I had an internship with them during my senior year, but that dosen’t count because I wasn’t getting payed.” She smirked. “Wow. Six years. With Nick. Bless you.” I said, stepping off the lift and onto the marble floor. “Oh, please. I havent been working with Nick for six years. God, I can’t imagine. I’ve only been working with blondie for two years. I started out as a secretary for some PR for Jive, then worked my way the little corporate ladder, ending up with blondie, which feels more like a demotion, but it still pays good so whatever.” she laughed.

As she walked up to the front desk, I gawked around the place. It was absolutely gorgeous. It was so sleek and modern. All marble and chrome and glass, palm trees everywhere and a seating area with black leather couches. It was just amazing. There was even a Starbucks in the lobby. How freaking fancy could you get?
“Alrighty missy, you ready?” she asked, dangeling the keys in front of my face with a smile. “I am sooo ready.” I replied, grinning. We got onto the lift again, and I watched as she pressed floor number 18. That was really high up, considering there were only twenty floors. “Your gonna love this place. Not only are you close to work, but its now only a fifteen minute commute to downtown Tampa.” she said, walking out of the doors. The carpet in the hallway was plush and gorgeous. “I would be ok with sleeping out in the hall.” I said. She laughed. “Not when you see the inside.” she replied. She walked all the way to the end of the hall, stopping at the last door, and opening it. “Welcome home.” she smiled.

I almost passed out as I stepped inside. The place was amazing. The interior was almost like the lobby. All chrome and sleek. Just like in my office, there was a floor to floor, wall to wall window, that gave an awsome view of downtown Tampa, even if it was in the distance. The previous owned had left a few articles behind, a few paintings on the walls, a bamboo rug with black trim, and a small steel and glass coffee table. “Kodi, this place is aamazing.” I said. “Come on, girlie. You didn’t even see the rest of the place yet.” she replied pulling me along.

Life couldn’t get any better.

Later….

“Like I said, he is such a fucking pig. Don’t let him bother you. And if he touches you, seriously, tell Nick. He can be a jerk, but Nick wont let him go that far.” Kodi said, taking a sip of her chocolate martini. “Have you had a bad eperience with Brent?” I asked, finishing off my Bicardi. “Who hasn’t? Brent is the worst of the Jersey crew.” she said. “He’s part of the Jersey crew? But I thought they were all down last weekend.” I said. “Most of them were. Except for Brent. See, the rest of the boys come down from school on Thursday night for the weekend, party it up, have fun, and fly back Monday morning. They only miss two days off school. I’m not saying missing school is good, but they only do it twice, maybe three times a year. They’re mostly all pretty motivated kids anyway. But Brent comes down for the whole week, maybe two, about five times a year. He comes down by himself because then he gets all the attention when him and Nick go out. He gets all the left over girls, booze, whatever. He uses Nick. And it’s really sad because Nick really considers him a friend, while everyone else can see he is being used.” Kodi said. “I bet he knows he’s being used. I mean, how can he not?” I asked. No one is that blind. “I mean, I know that deep down inside he knows, but he dosent want to accept it. See, all his life, Nick has basically been used by everyone around him. His friends, people that work for him, I mean, even his own mother. I guess when yur that surrounded by it, your either immune to it or you really just don’t know. Don’t get me wrong, Nick can be a complete asshole to people. But he has a lot of his own demons. I try to think about that when I get pissed off at him. It usually dosent work though, cause he pisses me off so bad.” she laughed. “Wow, I can’t believe that. I just thought… I don’t know what I though. I guess I never really considered what his life was like.” She shrugged. “Your gonna get the same story for about 98% of the people in this buisness anyway, so you’ll get used to it.” she said, motioning to the waitress for refills on both of our drinks.

“So, Kodi, I wanna know about you. What’s going on in your life?” I asked. “My life? Well… let’s see. Other than always being at work, I have this boyfriend....” she laughed as I perked up. “Ohh, so what’s his name? How long you’ve been going out?” “His name is Dillan. We’ve been going out for just less than six months.” She smiled. “Aww. Almost half a year. That’s so cute.” I replied. “Cute?” she asked, laughing. “You have to remember, I just graduated college. For me, six weeks is a milestone.” I replied. “Oh, well, when you get all old like me, you’ll be looking for stability.” she laughed, taking a sip of her new drink. “Oh please, your not old.” I laughed. “So, Lauri, whats up with you? Do you have your own boy?” I scrunched up my nose. “No. I just got out of a relationship about a month ago, so… I guess you can say I’m looking but not. If someone comes around, that would be cool, but I can wait it out for a while.” I shrugged. “How long did it last?” she asked. “Nothing ground-brekaing. Two months. It was long for me, but on normal human time, not to long.” I smiled.

Kodi glanced down at her watch. “Shit, it’s already nine. Wow, we have definetely been here for like, two hours?” she laughed. “Has it really been? Time flies.” I replied. “I’d love to stay, but I have to go home and sleep. I need my eight hours or I’m one cranky bitch. Plus, I told Dillan I’d call him around eight thirty so I’m a little late.” she joked. “We defintely have to do this again sometime.” “No question. I can’t this weekend… have to meet the parents, but maybe next?” she suggested. “I’m pretty sure I’m free. Oh, meeting the folks. That’s a big step.” I smiled. “I know, and I’m defiently freaking out. We’re flying out to Vancouver Friday night. Who the hell lives in Vancouver?” she laughed. I shrugged and smiled. “It’s gonna be cold as shit there too.” “Bitch.” she laughed. “I hope you have fun. I’ll lay out on the beach in your memory.” “I don’t like you right now.” We walked out of the bar, handing our tickets to the vallet. (Everything is vallet in this neighborhood. Damn lazy rich people.)

Kodi’s car came up first. I gave her a hug, thanking her once again for everything she’s done for me. She just smiled and tld me to call her tomorrow. Call her tomorrow? She was getting a fucking fruit basket tomorrow. And if I had the time, I’d throw in a human sacrafice. She just changed my life in about the span of two days. I was like, eternaly in her debt.

Maybe I could sacrafice Nick?

I walked into my apartment that night completely content. I guess, in the smallest, wierdest way, I was kinda sad to leave it. It’s almost like… I guess when your at the pet store, and you see that older dog that’s really great and cute and everything, but you know the energetic puppy is gonna get taken home first. I like my tiny apartment, broken hot water fauset in the kitchen and all….

But damn, that puppy is looking good.

The puppy here being the new apartment, for those here not following.


Monday November 19th

“Sara, I can’t just get up and leave.” I repeated for about the eightenth time in five minutes. “But Lauri…. It’s Topher Grace. He’s here. It’s him. He’s signing autographs and stuff. It’s like the Topher Grace!” she whined. “Really? Topher Grace? Ya know, I’m glad you said that cause I didn’t catch it the other fourty two times you said his name.” I growled. “Woah, woah. What’s your deal?” she asked, taken aback. Holy shit. He’s making me go crazy. He has me yelling at my best friend. “I’m sorry, Sar. It’s just the job. Nick has been bossing me around and making me do all his needless crap since Brent left on Friday. I’m just really stressed.” I replied, rubbing my head. I began to doodle on the edge of my day planner, feeling that this little stick man would make me feel better. “It’s ok. I know how he can be. Why don’t you just kick his ass?” she asked. “If that were a plausible option, don’t worry, I would.” I replied. “Hey, why don’t you bring Petra?” I spoke again. “Can’t, she’s in Tahiti.” Sara replied with an exasperated tone. “Tahiti? Why?” “Cause she was bored.” Sara replied flatly. “Just packed up her shit and…. Whoosh. She goes to Tahiti.” She continued. “I hate her.” I remarked. Sara laughed. “I can’t say I’m not jealous of her.” she sighed. “Come on Lauri. Just come one. He wont even notice your gone. Please please please!” she begged. “Sara, as much as I wish I could get up and out of here, I can’t. I know the minute I leave, he’ll be looking for me to do his laundry, or clean his room, or wipe his ass or some other needless fucking thing he has me do all day. Trust me, this is the LAST place I wish to be right now. But, I can’t go.” I said.

And that was the truth. I really wouldn’t mind standing for a couple of hours in a line with my best friend to meet her idol instead of being here. But it is what it is, I guess.

“I understand, LaurLaur.” she pouted. “I’m sorry, hun. But you go sweep Toffy off his feet.” “It wont be as fun by myself… but I’ll take one for the team.” she joked. “Think of it this way, the less people that go, the more of a chance you have to marry him.” I replied, writing Nick’s name above the stick figure. “I guess. Well, it’s not for another two hours anyway…” she continued. “And let me guess, you’ve been ready for about an hour already.” I asked. “Um… two… but that’s not the point. The early bird get’s the worm. Anyway, let’s stop busting on me. So, Carter boy is still being a jerk off?” Sara asked. “Yeah. I mean, last week he was being kinda nice, I guess cause he felt guilty about the whole Brent thing. But Brent left Friday morning, and from Friday morning till now, considering it’s only noon, he’s been riding my ass like theres no tomorrow. I don’t know what his fucking problem is. He’s so damn stuck-up for no reason. Like he’s trying to prove something.” I ranted. Hey, this feels good. I’ve talked to Sara about at home, but ranting at work about work just felt… fufilling. I should try this more often. “Maybe it’s because he’s a washed up pop star.” she went on. “Washed up… I guess. I mean, he’s still… I mean I guess you would call him an A-list star..” Sara scoffed. “Five years ago, fine. B-list, no question.” “I guess. But still, he dosent have to be such a fucking jerk. He just seems.. I don’t. Like a bitter person. But theres nothing to be bitter about.” I continued. I began to scribbled all over the little stick man on my page, smiling. This is totally mental yoga right here.

She sighed into the phone. “Don’t worry about it sweetie. You’ll be over this job in a year. Then you’ll get your awsome job in some kick-ass PR firm, and you’ll like…. Be happier.” I smiled. “Thanks Sar. I know. I can’t wait to get out of this job. I did NOT bust my ass for four years in college to be some shallow boy banders secretary.” “Hey, at least you have a job.” she sighed. “Sar, sorry to remind you, but you do too.” “Um…. I did. I kinda quit, like, yesterday.” “Why?” I asked, schocked. It was a pretty cool. She was a floor girl and a shoe store downtown. She got a lot of discounts and stuff. “I don’t know. I wasn’t like… fufilled. And I’m an idiot. Oh shit, my fucking mom is on the other line. I knew my sister would tell her. Fucking bitch. Listen, I got to take this. I’ll call you back later, love.” She said. “Bye, Sar.” I said, hanging up.

I sat their for a few minutes, then I heard the door creaking open. “I looked up, seeing Nick stand in the doorway. Fucking geat. What the hell does he want from me. He looked up at me, eyes practically on fire. “Sorry I’m such a shallow, bitter person.” he practically growled.

Oh fucking shit.
Chapter 8 by ashley marie
-sorry about the wierd post it took me a while to actually get this up for some reason;. i dont know what was going on. anywho, i finally beat it and here ya go. hope yall enjoy!!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 8


I stared at him, wide-eyed, for a good minute or two. Finally, my heart slowed down a little bit. This is it. I’m going to get fired. I didn’t even get to move into my new apartment yet.

No way, I am NOT going down without a fight. I tired to regulate my breathing, then I finally spoke up, my voice a little stronger than I imagined. “Well, it’s true.” Hmm...that wasn’t too hard. “You know what, I now about a hundred people who would die to have your job, especially for the amount you get paid, and not complain about it.”

OK, now I am starting to get pissed. “Oh, well excuse me for not catching that memo. I’m sure they’d love getting treated like shit everyday just as much as I do.” I snapped, standing up. “I do not treat you like shit.” He snapped back. I just started to laugh. “Are you serious? You don’t treat me like shit? Oh, well, OK, I must have been reading you wrong for the past three weeks then. Silly me.” “When have I ever treated you like shit?” he commanded, his voice raising. “Every fucking day. You also want me to do these menial tasks, like your laundry, or picking up your crap from across town, just to belittle me. And don’t stand there shaking your head because you know it’s true.” “I don’t do it to put you down, I do it because it’s part of you job!”

This conversation was starting to get pretty heated. He was still about 15 feet away from me, but I could see his cheeks and ears begin to turn red. But I couldn’t back down. I already put myself this far out and there was no turning back.

“Nick, no. No one makes someone do their laundry; pick up their car, their clothes, clean their room. That’s a maid’s job. I’m your secretary. You know you make me do that crap because you think it’s cool that someone works beneath you. I’m not some little puppy you can kick around cause it won’t do anything. I’m a fucking person. And I’m sorry if I don’t make as much money as you, but I still deserve to be treated with a little bit of dignity.” He rolled his eyes and began to rant again. “Yup. You guessed it. I treat you bad cause you don’t have a lot of money. How did you know?” he sneered. “You really think you know me, don’t you?” he asked. “Yes Nick, I do. I think you’re shallow, rude, selfish and immature.” He smirked at me. “I guess you got me all figured out.” He replied.

I am starting to get annoyed for three reasons. 1) He is acting way to smug. 2) I’m really afraid that I'm going to get fired. 3) He keeps talking and I really have to pee.

“What the hell does that mean?” I asked, my voice starting to rise again.

He sat down on the sofa facing my desk. “It’s just that your acting all holier-than-thou while your accusing someone who you barely know of being something you know nothing about. But you know what I think. I think you’re just a confused little girl trying to pretend to be someone your not; trying to prove something.”

I had to bite my lip. I could feel my eyes starting to prick. God damnit, why am I letting him get to me? I sat back down in my swivel, then looked up at him. “And maybe I am Nick.” I said softly through a clenched mouth. “Maybe I am trying to prove something to somebody. And don’t fucking flatter yourself you stuck-up asshole. It’s not you.” “Then, who?” he replied, rolling his eyes.

“Do you know what it’s like to grow up with a mother who puts down every single thing that you do? Every accomplishment that is important to you, she sneers at because ‘You could’ve done better’. Every time you speak to her, she brings out your faults. Try to do something nice for her, and she picks at it until you wish you would’ve just hadn’t tried at all? That’s what it was like growing up with my mother. And when I graduated with fucking honors from my college, she asked me.... “Why couldn’t you be first? Why couldn’t you place higher? You were sleeping around, weren’t you?’ ” My speaking began to slow, and I looked Nick in the eye. “On my graduation night, while all our friends were out partying, Sara stayed home so I wouldn’t be alone crying myself to sleep. I worked my ass off to show her I can make something of myself, and that’s how she responded to it. And then, I finally say to myself, ‘Fuck her, let me do something for me.’ So I get this job, and then it’s like I’m going through the same thing again. And this time it’s worse because it’s not my mother putting me down, it’s my fucking boss.” I spat. He opened his mouth to say something, but I went on. “I mean, is the whole damn world against me?” I asked.

I finally finished my speech, amazed at myself. I had NEVER told ANYONE that, except for Sara, who obviously knew. I felt vulnerable and exposed, and more than anything, I wanted him to leave. “So, I’m sorry if I clash with your perfect world, Mr. Carter. So if you will excuse me, I have some work to finish.” I took in a deep breath, and turned my attention away from him.

“You think I have the perfect life, eh?” He questioned me, walking over to stand in front of my desk. “Yeah, your mom sucks, and what she did to you sucks. But guess what, everybody has their own fucked up life and demons they have to deal with.”

Now I was really pissed. I just basically spilled my soul to him, and he was telling me to get over it? “And what are your demons, Nick? Can’t afford the newest edition Bentley so you have to wait till next year? Well, excuse me while I go cry you a fucking river.” I snapped. “My mom steals from me.” Nick replied, both his hands on the edge of my desk. “I work my ass off. She doesn't have a job. She goes into my bank account and takes money from me. Alright? So yeah, you’re not the only one with mommy issues.” I looked up at him, straight in the eye. “At least your mom acknowledges you’ve made something of yourself.” I replied. We continued to stare at each other for a couple of moments, until I spoke up again. “But since this isn’t a ‘Who’s family is more fucked up’ contest, I think we should both stop while were ahead.”

He opened his mouth, but I spoke before him. “Nick, honestly, I think we’ve both said everything we needed to say.” “So you’re just going to leave it like this?” he asked, obviously not finished with this conversation. “I don’t really feel the need to continue any further. We’ve both spoken our minds, we know where the other stands, and that’s that. I’m an employee, you’re a boss, and we’ve already talked too much about our personal lives. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have some work I need to finish and some dry cleaning to be pick up.” I said, standing up and walking quickly out of the room.

I closed the door behind me and leaned against it for a moment, not believing what just happened in a span of twenty minutes.

It is going to be VERY uncomfortable working around him for a while.
Chapter 9 by ashley marie
Sowwy this took so long loves. i was having a real problem posting. it would only let me post the first chapter, which is wierd. bu t i got it sorted out for now.
Ok, I noticed I messed some of the previous dates up, so from now on the dates I post are the correct ones! Sowwy about the typos!!!!!!!
Please please please review!!!!! I would love it so much! It makes me wanna write faster. And I hope everyone likes this chapter! Muah my darlings!


Chapter 9

I was pretty much freaked out and shaky on my way home. The rest of the afternoon I didn’t see Nick, and while I was on my way out I saw his boat was not on the dock. I was pretty spazzed the whole drive to my apartment, and as soon as I got home, I called Sara. She was on her way home from her meet and greet, with a fresh new autograph from her future husband, but as soon as I began talking to her, she dropped her happy giggly voice.

“Laur, what’s wrong sweetie?” she asked as I threw my purse on the sofa.

“I think I’m going to get fired.” I whispered. “I was about to continue with my story, but she spoke first. “Hun, get in your pajamas, I’ll be right there.” She replied, hanging up.

Later that night....

“And so he was like, telling me his family drama, and I told him that we’ve told each other to much and that I had to go. So I left.” I finished, scooping out another spoonful of chocolate ice cream.

“Sweetie, so you got in a fight. You guys are practically like a couple anyway. You’ve fought before. It’s no biggie. He probably won’t even remember tomorrow.” Sara said, scooping from our carton of ice cream. I sighed and took another bite. “I’m just so scared I'm going to be fired. I didn’t even get to move into my new apartment. This is going to be so bad. And it’s so weird because I’ve never told anyone about my mom, well, except for you. I don’t even know why I felt compelled to tell him. I hate that he knows.” I went on.

“Maybe you told him ‘cause you knew he had home problems too. Lauri, listen to me. You. Are. Not. Getting. Fired. Trust me. What grounds can they fire you on. And if they do, take ‘em to court. Freedom of speech infringement. You’ll get like, fifty million dollars. So it’s a win-win situation.” She shrugged. I smiled. “Thanks Sar.” I smiled. “No problem. Now... for some good news....” she said, pulling something from her bag. She smiled and produced a large sheet of paper with some scribbling on it.” “He touched it.” She whispered, amazed. I laughed and took the paper from her hands. It was Topher Grace’s scribbled name and a message that looked something like ‘Thanks for the love. You’re a cutie.’ Or something to that effect. I smiled back and handed it to her. “I think it’s amazing.” She jumped up from the couch and squealed. “I know!” she danced. “OK, we are going to watch ‘Friends’ and eat pizza for the rest of the night because EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS GOOD EVEN CRAPPY BOSSES!” she hugged me, and then ran to the kitchen to order pizza.

This was JUST what I needed.

November 14th

I groaned as I opened my eyes the next morning. Where was I? Why do I smell like pizza? Why does the damn Friends theme keep replaying in my head? I glanced over at the clock and read 7:32. Thank God for Saturdays.

Then my eyes flew open. Holy shit, it’s Tuesday. Quickly, everything came flooding back to me. The fight yesterday. Sara coming over. Keeping the Friends DVD in, ordering pizza, falling asleep on the sofa. I looked over and saw Sara scrunched up on the side of the couch, softly snoring. I have to be at work in.... 28 minutes. And it’s a forty five minute drive. And I still have to take a shower.

“Sara!” I screeched, jumping off the sofa and turning off the DVD player before the Friends theme played for the fifth time and I’d have to throw the TV out of the window. She groggily began to wake up. “Sara, it’s 7:30!” I hissed, throwing pizza into the box, trying to clean up the living room. “Don’t you have to be in work soon?” she asked, rubbing her eyes. “Yes!” I practically yelled. Having a fight with a boss and then coming into work late the next day was NOT a good thing. “Laur, you get showered and.... stuff. I’ll clean up down here.” She said, beginning to stand. “Thanks so much!” I said, running down the hall to get ready.

I got ready faster than I ever had in all my life. In a quick half hour, I showered, dressed, and put on my makeup. I threw my hair up in a wet bun, not even bothering to dry it. I was gonna regret that later, but whatever.

I ran down the hallway. On the way to the front door, Sara handed me a brown paper bag. “Have a nice day at work, hunny.” She smiled, kissing my cheek. “Thanks, loser.” I said, grabbing my purse. “Where are my keys?” I pouted, looking through my purse. She dangled them in front of me. “Go, go, you’re late. I’ll let myself out later.” “Thanks Sar. And thanks for last night.” I said, giving her a hug. “Go be fabulous at work.” She called after me as I ran to the car.

8:56

I gave up on rushing. It just wasn’t worth it. At least there wasn’t too much traffic today. I walked up to the front door of his house. Opened it, and walked straight to my office. I usually stopped by the kitchen to grab some coffee or rummage through his fridge. I put all my stuff down on my desk, turned the computer on, and then reached for my phone, playing my messages. There was one from Teen Beat requesting an interview before the tour, one from some photographer asking for a meeting for photo approvals, and one from Kodi. As soon as the message was finished, I almost passed out. All it said was, “Hey Lauri, it’s Kodi. Listen, as soon as you get this, please call me back. It’s pretty urgent, so, yeah, when you get this, call me. Bye.”

I almost burst into tears. She is going to fire me. Nick told her about how I talked about him and cursed at him, and I'm getting fired. I shakily dialed her number, and almost passed out while it ringed. She finally answered on the fourth ring.

“Hey Kodi, it’s Lauri.” I said, sitting in my chair shaking. “Hey Lauri. Alright, I have some news, and I'm not sure how you’re gonna take it, so just bare with me, OK?” she asked. My breathing began to increase as she spoke. This is it.

“OK, I’m sure you know how the tour has been pushed back to January 4th, right?” she asked. I nodded, then replied yes, my throat dry. I was trying to figure out how this would get me fired. “Ok, well, basically, we want to have a PR go on tour with him. We had one at the office to go, but she is now on maternity leave. So.... congratulation, your traveling the country.” She said quickly. “I’m going on tour?” I asked. I literally almost passed out. I almost dropped the phone and the sweat on my forehead began to clear. “Yeah. I mean, I thought you wouldn’t be happy, considering how much you love Nick.” She replied with a laugh.

“Thank you so much, Kodi.” I replied, wiping a stray tear from my eye. “Thank you so much.” “Gosh, Lauri, are you crying. Sweetie, I'm so sorry, do you not want to go that bad? I can see if I can find anyone else.” She said quickly. “No! No, I'm sorry Kodi. It’s just been a... stressful day yesterday. I’m sorry. No, I’m happy. It’s going to be awesome. Traveling the country. That’s awesome.” I replied.

She didn’t believe that I was happy so I explained the whole fiasco that was yesterday. She just laughed. She thought it was an entertaining story and she reassured me there would be no firing. She also told me that there would be a whole information package being sent to my house before the tour and there would be a meeting to explain everything to me, so not to worry about it right now. She also told me movers would be at my apartment on Thursday to get all my stuff together. I felt so much more... rejuvenated after I hung up with Kodi. I was almost in tears, but I was happy. Goin on tour would be really, really cool. I always wanted to travel the country, and I was getting paid for it. As long as I don’t have to be around Nick that much, then we have no problems.

I was alone for about an hour, making appointments and playing solitaire before Nick came in. He walked right up to my desk, took a breath and began to speak. “Lauri, I’m sorry about yesterday.” Was all he said. I looked up at him, and I spoke too.” “It’s ok, Nick.” I didn’t know what else to say. There really wasn’t anything that I thought was appropriate. “I didn’t mean to make you feel uncomfortable, and I really didn’t want you to talk about your mom.” I nodded. “It’s really ok, Nick. It’s over. There are no problems.” I replied. He nodded to and gave me a half smile. “Friends?” he asked. I looked at him, and I think he could tell by my face that the answer wasn’t what he wanted to be. “Nick, you’re my boss. I really don’t want to pursue a workplace friendship. Believe me, I’ve had them before, and it just complicates everything. Plus, friendship isn’t just something you call after you have a fight with someone. But, if you want us to be cordial to each other, without us making quips at each other, I’m ok with that. I think that will smooth everything out. Considering we are going to be together everyday for a couple months on tour.” I replied. “Your going on your with me? I thought Sherelle was.” “Maternity leave.” I answered. He smiled, and stuck his hand out. “Well, don’t worry, I’m gonna make a friend out of you.” He replied. I shook my head. “No you’re not.” I replied. I wanted to smile, but I didn’t. I think I should still be mad at him. He shrugged. “I think I could work with this whole cordial thingy.” He said, walking towards that door. “I’m glad were not, like, pissed at each other anymore.” He smiled, opening the door. “Me too.” I replied, giving him a VERY small style.

Before he opened walked out of the room, he looked over his shoulder and said, “Hey, I think I heard my laundry buzz earlier, so if you wanna go grab it..” he smiled, shutting the door behind him. I stared at the door, my mouth gapping open. After a few minutes, the door creaked open, and he stuck his head through. “I was just kidding.” He laughed, then shut the door again.

I smiled, shook my head, and began to set up a photoshoot for tomorrow. I guess this could work out.

At least I don’t want to rip his eyes out anymore.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
review please darlings!
Chapter 10 by ashley marie
ok, i knew this chappy took FOREVER. i aploogize for that. and i know it's really short,a nd i apologise for that, too. The thing is, i just started my ap chem class, which was a big mistake, but whatever. Now the only time i get to go out with my friends is the weekends, so i wont have alot of time to write. so expect short, sparse chapters from now till about the first week of may, when i take my ap chem test. after that, it shouldnt be AS bad. so im really sorry, but it should still all work out, i hope! I hope you all are still enjoying it as much as i love writing it! and please review cause that would make me SO happy! love you ladies!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------


Monday - November 20th,

I really, really, REALLY praise him for trying. I mean, he is being as sweet to me as he can possibly be, but I really really REALLY want to smack him in the face.

Not in a mean way, just in a ‘Tone it the fuck down’ kind of way.

I guess in all honesty, life was going extremely well for me. I had just moved into my new apartment on Thursday which was just about the most amazing thing that has every happened to me, I was getting paid extremely well, and I now had a boss that did everything for me but bake me pie everyday.

So I’m sitting there doing my ‘work’, minding my own damn business, when Nick bounds in to the office for what, and this is only if I'm counting right, had to be the sixth time today. And it’s only 1:45.

He sat on the chair opposite my desk, leaning his elbows on it and staring at me.

“I’m bored.” He stated flatly. “I know. You told me forty two times.” I replied with equal enthusiasm. That’s another thing I'm wondering. Is he just being nice to me now since all his friends are either away or unable to visit him since it’s so near Thanksgiving?

He took in a deep breath, released, picked up a legal pad on my desk, and began to doodle. “I want to go out.” He stated. I stopped typing, stared at him with that look on my face like, ‘So?’ and then replied, “Then go out.” “But there is no where to go.” He whined. “Nick, I don’t know what to tell you. Figure something out. And leave, because I have... work to finish.” I said.

Now I’ll let you in on a little secret. I’m not REALLY working. Well, unless you consider trying to win my third game of solitaire working. I just wanted him out of the room because I had enough stuff to worry about without listening to him whine about how there is nothing in the state of Florida, or the east coast, to do.

“What are you doing for Thanksgiving?” He finally blurted out. Great. JUST the topic I wanted to think about. “I’m going to my mom’s.” I replied quickly. “But I thought....” he started. “Yeah, I know.” I cut him off. “I only spend time with her on Thanksgiving. Believe me, it’s not my dream way to spend my time, but.... it’s my mom,” I shrugged, “What can I do?” He nodded slowly. “What are you doing?” I asked. “I’m... going to Brian’s.” he replied. “Your not going to your parents?” I asked. “Noo...” he started. “See, they’re split, so, come the holidays, its better not to pick one to spend it with. It just starts this whole power war. Like, ‘Haha, Nick is staying with me.’ It’s really sickening. I mean, I don’t want to stay at Brian’s ya know. He has his own family and his own thing, and I don’t mean to intrude, but he won’t let me stay by myself, so I stay with him. It’s cool though. It’s just.... better.” He shrugged. I felt bad for him, but I didn’t know what to say. “Shit happens, huh?”

Damnit that sounded A LOT better in my head. Thankfully, he just laughed. “Yeah, gotta roll with it.” He smiled. I grinned. “Roll with it, everything will be fine.” I jokingly sang. “I knew you listened to our music!” he laughed. “Not really, just a little research.” I said innocently. “Yeah, right. So how many concert you gone to?” he laughed, crossing his arms over his chest. I laughed again. “Please, I couldn’t afford to go to one of your concerts. They were like, 60 bucks. I had something called tuition to pay for.” I replied. “So you knew how much tickets cost.” He said with a sly smile. “Duh. My roommate used to be a fan. I heard her complain about the price. And I wasn’t a fan.” I retorted. “Uh-huh. Don’t worry, I’ll get you an autograph before you leave, and I wont tell anybody.” He smiled. “Cool! Then I can sell it on eBay and make a quick 50 bucks!” I said gleefully, clapping my hands. “Ouch. Only fifty?” he said, hand over his heart in pain. “Depends how long I keep it on the market.” I replied. “I still think you a fan.” He mumbled. I waded up a piece of junk paper from my desk and threw it at him. “You wish.” I replied. “Yeah.” I heard him say.

Was I supposed to hear that? Um.... moving on. “This is your last day before you leave, right?” he asked. I nodded. Joy. I get to go home to Maine tomorrow. Lucky me. “Alright, close your computer up. There’s this little dinner about twenty minutes from here that serves the best French Toast ever. My Thanksgiving gift to you. Then we’ll have more time to talk about how old you were when you started to adore me.” He said, smile as big as the room. “One, I’M NOT A FAN. Two, I have work to finish.” I said. “I’m sure you can get back to Solitaire later.” He replied coolly. “Damnit. How’d you know?” I blushed. “You’ve been clicking on the mouse for about 15 minutes without typing one thing on the computer.” He replied. “Wont you get recognized?” I asked. “Nah. Only the folks from the retirement home go there, and they’re not that big a threat.” He said. “Not that big?” I asked laughing. “They can get feisty.” He joked.

I sighed. “Fine Carter. Let’s go so I can get this over with.” I said, rolling my eyes. I began to walk to they door. “So, where you a fan since the first single, or was there some other song that turned you on to us later?” I heard him ask from behind.

“I’m not a fan!” I screeched.
Chapter 11 by ashley marie
SNOW DAY!!! yeah, i had a snow day, im stuck in the house, so i had time to write! yay! anyway, this chapter totally just pooped in my mind and i started writing it. i hope you guys enjoy. well, more to come as soon as possible. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE REVIEW. for me? pwease. lol. thanks ladies and gentlemen. lol
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 11


I can’t say the drive down to wherever he was taking me wasn’t uncomfortable. I guess hanging out with your boss is always a weird situation, cause it’s like, your boss. But it was especially weird with him because of this weird, I guess you would say relationship, we had. I really wanted to start up some conversation, but I could not think of one damn thing that we a) had in common or b) was not a really uncomfortable topic, like family, which I think is the only thing we do have in common.

I took in a deep breath and began to stare out the window of his Durango, watching all of the huge houses and perfect lawns pass me by. “So, you’re from Maine?” Nick asked. I wanted to sigh and tell him I was already bored with t his conversation, but instead I just gave a quick, ‘Yeah’. I felt bad instantly. I could tell he was truly trying to be nice, and I was giving him a quick ‘Please shut up and leave me alone’ tone. “Yeah. This really small town of Bangor. It was pretty much the lamest place in the world.” I continued. “So, did you go to college there?” he asked, seemingly happy that I was speaking again. “Please. The day after I graduated high-school, I got the first ticket out of there. I moved to Florida. I had gotten accepted to Florida Southern College, so I went there. Wasn’t exactly my first choice, but it was what I could afford.” I shrugged. “So, why’dja pick Florida?” he asked, stopping at the red light and looking over to me. “I figured it was as polar opposite from Maine I could go without leaving the country.” I replied. He smiled at me as the light turned green. “And to get away from your mom?” he asked. “Well, that was a given.” I joked lightly. “So, why do you go down at Thanksgiving? You are obviously unhappy about it.” He asked, pulling into a small diner called Lazy Sunday. He was NOT kidding when he said it was for the retired folks. “Honestly, I really don’t know. Everytime I go, I just get frustrated and annoyed and count down the days till I get to leave. But, I don’t know. I guess because, like, it is my mom, so I almost feel obligated. I can’t explain it. It’s a really weird way my mind works. But I only go for Thanksgiving. I don’t even call her on Mother’s Day, but I fly up on Thanksgiving. The world works in crazy ways.” I shrugged. He smirked at me. “I’m sure, deep down, she really does care.” He replied. He then proceeded to open his door, and jump out of his seat. She really does care. Pssh. Sure. Not.

I got out of the car and walked by the front door of the dinner to meet him. He opened it for me and allowed me to walk ahead of him. “So the Prince has manners.” I smirked at him and I walked by. “Hey, I thought we weren’t being mean to each other anymore!” he laughed. I shrugged. “It was to easy.” I replied. “Oh, ok.... so I get to be mean to you, too, if the moment presents itself.” He nodded. “Of course.” I replied. We followed this little waitress named Minnie to a booth and I sat across from him. “So Carter, really, why did you bring me here?” I asked as Minnie walked off to get menus. “Um.... for food?” he said, not sure what his answer should be. I just laughed and shook my head. “Other than food. We barely ever speak to each other, when we do it’s uncomfortable, and now were having a ‘I’m-gonna-miss-you-over-the-Thanksgiving-break’ Party. So what’s the deal?” I asked.

Honestly, I have no clue where this sudden rush of boldness came from. But the question had been bugging me since he invited me, so I figured what the hell?

Minnie came over and handed me a menu. Nick pouted up at her, and I gave them both a more confused than ever look. “One of these days, Min, I’m gonna change my order on you and you are going to be a really confused and sad person.” Nick stated, taking a sip of his water. Nickolas, you have been coming here for a couple years now and have never changed your order. Why would you start now?” she asked with a smile. “And your girlfriend is hear.” She finished, smacking with a dish towel and walking away. “Your girlfriend?” I asked, raising my eyebrow. (Well, trying to anyway. I was never really good at that)

He laughed at the face I was giving him, then responded. “Yeah, my girlfriend, Margie.” He proceeded to half sit up from the booth and look around the restaurant.

His GIRLFRIEND?

Named Margie?

At THIS place?

He finally spotted who he was looking for and pulled me up with him. “Come with me real quick. I want you to meet someone.” I followed his across the floor, stopping when he jumped up to sit on a stool at the counter next to this little old lady. “Hey, babe.” He smirked. “Oh, Nickolas! You scared me.” She said with a laugh. “How are you sweetie?” he asked. “I’m doing fine. I’m actually glad to see you. I wanted to ask you about how everything was going with the young lady you...” Nick quickly cut her off. I guess he could sense how confused I was by this whole situation.

“Margie, this is Lauri. Remember that new assistant I was telling you about.” God damnit, he is still calling me his ‘assistant’ to people. “Oooh.” She replied with a smile and a nod. “She is very pretty.” She replied. Taking my hand and smiling at me. “Thanks, ma’am.” I responded with a smile. “Oh, don’t call me ma’am. Margie, dear. I’m not an old lady.” She replied, smiling at me. “Of course not.” I smiled back. “Lauri, this is Margie. She used to be my neighbor, and always came to my house telling me to turn my ‘God-damned devil’s music down’.” Nick smiled. “It was always to terribly loud.” She said to me, as though Nick wasn’t there. Nick laughed, and finally one day, she moved.” Nick finished. “You made her move?” I practically screeched at him, smacking him in the chest. But Margie laughed. “Oh no dear, I can never settle in one place for too long. I have to move once every couple of years. Nick just gave me a good reason.” she smiled, squeezing his cheeks. “I just moved to the other side of the neighborhood. Such a pretty view of the lake I have, now.” She continued. “And now we rendezvous here a couple times a month.” Nick smiled. “He’s a very good boy. You should hold on to him.” She said, wagging her finger at me.

I don’t really like fighting with old people... but eww. Does she think me and Nick are... dating? Um.... no. We both spoke up at the same time. “Um... we’re not dating...” I went on. “Margie, she’s my employee.” He said at the same time.

Margie just smiled. “You young kids jump to such conclusions.” She replied, shaking her head. “Well, I’ll let you two alone. Go and enjoy lunch. But Nick, I want to talk to you sometime this week.” She said. “Now scat you two, my eggs are getting cold.” “Bye Margie.” Nick replied, kissing her cheek and walking back to the booth. I waved and followed him.

“Well, that was weird.” I stated. He shrugged and laughed. “Yeah, she really hated me for a while. Then we kept seeing each other here. She started to warm up to me. Seems that happens a lot.” She smirked. “Hey, whoever said I was warming up to you?” I asked, looking over my menu.

He just shrugged and laughed. “You know you are.” He accused. I shook my head. “Umm... no.” I said, going back to my menu. “Come on Laur. I mean, I know it’s hard and all, seeing how you just came to terms with being a fan and all. But admit it. It will be easier for everyone.” He said with his all-knowing tone.

“One, we’re not starting with the I’m your fan thing again. Two, I put up with you, because you are my boss.” I finished, putting my menu down, and staring at him.

“That sounds just like something that a fan would say.” He replied, feigning shock.

“I strongly dislike you right now.” I said. “Hey, you never answered my question. I want to know why you brought me here.” I stated again. “Honestly?” he asked. I want to reply with a ‘No, lie to me, Carter.’

But I didn’t.

“Because I like talking to you. I like having a conversation with someone who doesn't agree with everything I say because they’re smitten with me. It’s nice to feel normal and talk to someone.” He shrugged. “Well, I’m glad I can give you the feeling of a common folk. Ain’t it glamorous?” I replied. “Is that all?” I asked. “No, I really was hoping you would cut my food for me.” He said with a straight face.

“I hate you Carter.” I laughed, throwing my menu at him.

“Hey, the moment presented itself.” He smirked.

God, I was confused by this man.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

review review review.
Chapter 12 by ashley marie
Sorry it took so long! i hope you like it, and i am especially psyched for the next chappy, i think its gonna be pretty good, so watch out for that. but for now, here is chappy 12! review lovelys!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 12

The rest of lunch turned out to be pretty nice. We talked a lot, and he really began to open up to me about his mom. I could tell the whole situation was really killing him. It was really hard on him, his mom taking his money because really, he just wanted to have some sort of relationship with her, like any son does. He also talked to me about what to expect on tour, which included late nights, early mornings, and strange phone calls in the middle of the night. I asked him what he meant, but he just replied by saying I’d have to wait to see. Oh joy.

The whole drive home Nick told me stories from his life on tour, which basically was a collection of practical jokes he played on people. “You better not even think about trying any of that crap on me, Carter.” I replied as we pulled into his driveway. He smiled sweetly, batting his eyelashes. “Of course not.” He replied. I smacked him in the arm as I got out of his car. “That hurt.” I heard from him as I slammed the door shut. God, he is such a baby.

He was hot on my tail as I unlocked his door and walked towards my office. “Nick, what the hell are you doing and why are you doing it so close to me?” I asked, opening my door and rolling my eyes, and walking towards my desk. He was being so good today, too. He always just has to find one way to get under my skin. “Nuttin, I was just trying to see how long it took you to yell at me.” He said with a sweet smile. “You know, if you’re not good I’ll schedule that meeting on Thanksgiving. Right at dinner time so you can’t eat.” I said, sticking my tongue at him.

Oh my God. I’ve been here for about a month and I’ve already stooped to his level. What is my problem? “We’ll then... I’ll.... fire you.” He said sticking his tongue back out at me. I grabbed a piece of paper and threw it right at his face. “Oww. Hey, you better stop doing that. You’re wasting trees.” He commented, throwing the ball up and down in the air. “Ok, anyway,” he went on. “I have to go to the store so I can pick up some crap, then I have to drop it off at Brian’s. I guess by the time I get back you’ll be gone.” He said. I nodded absently. Secretly, I was hoping this day wouldn’t come, because I was really, really dreading spending a whole week with my mom. But I guess the quicker it comes, the quicker it is over, or whatever. “So, I’m gonna go now....” he said. “Alright. Have fun. Cya when I get back.” I said with the same trailing off voice he was using. God he is such a weirdo. “Alright, I’m leaving and you wont see me for a whole week....” he continued. “Ok, happy Thanksgiving Nick.” I said, giving him a dumb look and waving. He took in a deep breath and let out a long, preformed sigh. “You don’t take hints very well, do ya?” he asked me. “I guess not.” I said, totally confused. “God, woman, come over here so I can give you a goodbye hug, for Pete’s sake.” He finished with his ‘duh’ expression.

I just burst out laughing. I felt kind of mean, but that really made me crack up.

“I’m glad my show of affection causes people to hurl over in a fit of hysteria.” He went on, and when I looked up, he hands were crossed over his chest


“I swear, only you would demand a hg from someone.” I replied, opening up my November schedule on my computer. He stood there pouting at me. “Well?” he asked. I looked up at him for a brief moment, then began adding in a meeting from a week ago that I forgot to add in. “Nick, I can’t give you a hug. See, if I do that, I will give you this false inkling that we are now friends. And like I said before, interoffice friendships are strictly unprofessional.” I went on. Wow, this bullshit sounds like its coming right out of my ass. I don’t know why I’m being such a loser about this. But, I already started this, so I might as well go with it. Nick smirked at me. Holy crap, look what I started. If would I would have just fucking hugged him, I wouldn’t have to put up with his.... being anymore. Well, for a week anyway. “Come on Lauri. I mean, I know you’ve been holding this in for a while now. I mean, all in one day, coming to terms with being a fan, going to lunch with me, I know it’s all happening really fast for you right now. But really, the only way to truly overcome these emotions is to just give into them.” He said, nodding his head. “Well thank you for that Dr. Phil. One of these days you’re going to realize that I am really not, never was, and never will be a fan. So drop it.” I said. Alright, the fan thing was funny in the beginning, be he was truly playing it out now.

He stood there, still towering over my desk, with his big pouty eyes, giving any puppy dog a run for there money. “It’s ok. I’ll just go. Have fun over the holiday while I’m all by myself without any of my family.” He said, turning around and beginning to walk out of the room.

Ouch. That fucking hurt.

I jumped up out of my seat, walked quickly over to him, and wrapped my arms around him. This was a very weird scenario in two ways. One, he was my boss. Two, it felt really forced. He hugged me back, then began laughing. He brought his lips down to my ear and began to whisper, “I knew that would work. Deep down you’re not such a meanie.” I pulled away from him, smacking him in the chest, and walked back to my chair. “You are a JERK, Mr. Carter.” I replied, sitting back down. I glared up at him, giving him my best evil eye. I should mention my evil eye is not that good, so it probably just looked like I was squinting in the sun, but whatever. I FELT like I was giving him the evil eye, which was the whole point anyway. He just smiled at me. “But it worked.” “I’m sending you a mental death ray.” I replied, going back to my typing. “Oh, stop. I can feel it.” He said, feigning pain. After a few more minutes of going back and forth with each other, he stated that he was leaving. “Finally.” I replied, sticking my tongue out at him. He just smirked at me, running his fingers through his hair. “Well, really, have a good Thanksgiving. I hope everything goes well with your mom.” He said, suddenly all serious and mature. He’s so damn weird. One minute he reminds me of Sara’s 12 year old brother, and the next he’s all like.... well he doesn't remind me of her brother. Maybe if her brother was older and more mature. Oh, you get the point.

“Thank you Nick, I hope you have a good holiday, too.” He smiled down at me, then turned to leave. As he reached the door, he turned around one more time. “Um, if your worried about losing the key to the house or if ya just don’t feel like totting it around with you over the break, you can just put it under the welcome mat at the front door. That way you can get it in the morning when you get back.” He said, smiled, then left.

I guess in a weird way I’m going to miss him over vacation. In a very small way, of course.

...Later that day...

Closing the front door behind me, I fished around my purse for his front door key. I had decided it was the best idea to leave it here, because if I lost it or forgot it somewhere, he would never let me live it down. Finally after a few moments of looking, if found it. I lifted up the welcome mat and saw a folded up piece of paper underneath, with my name scrawled across the front. Yeah, Carter, like I wasn’t going to read it anyway. I picked it up, and unfolded it, a little confused, but then again anything from him confused me. Inside there was a message from him in his crappy handwriting,

Dear Lauri,

I hope you have a good Thanksgiving. I hope everything works out with your mom. Bring me back a present or you’re fired. Bob the Turkey says hello.

Your FRIEND,

Nick Carter


And inside was a badly drawn turkey.... or what was supposedly a turkey. It was basically a circle with two stick legs, a beak, and a pilgrim hat with a word bubble coming out that simply read, ‘HI!’.

I have no clue what he was drinking, smoking, or doing when he made this, but it had to be one of the cutest, most random cards I have ever received in my life. I shoved it into my purse, put the key under the mat, and walked to my car. He really does just confuse the hell out of me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

review review review!!!no reviews = no story
(lol. it almost sounds evil)
Chapter 13 by ashley marie
Wednesday November 22
4:30 pm

Ok, Lauri. Breathe in... and out. In and out. Breath.... stretch... shake.... let it go. I had to bite my lip from laughing. I guess I was using anything now to try and perk myself up. But I guess standing here on the front steps of my mothers’ house is NOT the place to take care of that. Taking in one last deep breath, I rapped on the door lightly. Hopefully, she didn’t hear me, so then I could think she ‘wasn’t there’ and I could say, “Well, mom, I came, and you weren’t there so I went...” But in the middle of my glorious daydream, the door swung open and there she stood, in all her glory. “I was waiting for you to knock, Lauri. I heard the cab drop you off ten minutes ago.” I should’ve remembered she had ears like a fucking bat. Now, anyone ELSE’S mother, upon hearing the cab dropping their daughter off, would run out of the house with open arms, greeting their kid , paying the cab fair, and even help her inside. But no. Not Clare Fostern. “Hi mom.” I said, trying my best to give her a smile. She looked me up and down, and then met me at eye level. “You’ve put on weight.” She commented, picking up the small backpack and carried it into the house. I stood there for a minute, eyes closed, trying to regulate my breathing. “Only four days.” I whispered, picking up my one suitcase and lugging it into the entry hall. I dropped it on the floor, then walked into the living room. My mom was already on the sofa, drinking what I guessed was sweet tea or something, watching the View. “How was your flight?” she asked, visibly uncaring. “It was um... it was fine. A little turbulence...” I trailed off. Her mind was obviously not on me. “So, how is everything here? How Karen and the rested of the girls?” I asked. ‘Karen and the girls’ were my mothers’ friends. It was weird to imagine her having friends, laughing and holding normal conversation with other humans, but she did. “They’re fine. Karen and Mary are coming over later tonight.” She stated, stirring her tea with a spoon. “So, how is life in Florida?” she asked. “It’s good. I got a new job, a new apartment. Everything is going really well.” “You just got a new job and you already bought a new apartment?” She asked, eyeing me suspiciously. “Yeah, it’s actually this really cool program that the company I work for offers. It’s for students that come straight from college. They offer them housing until they get financially stable. It’s actually a really cool program because they have had studies showing that employee productivity incre...” “So it’s like welfare? I knew. I knew you were being foolish going out on your own so far away. You never listen to me.” She cut me off. I dug my nails into the armrest of the chair I was sitting in. “No mom. It’s not like welfare. It’s an employee productivity program.” I continued. I was going to go on about it, but she would never understand, so I just left it at that. “So, who did you have to sleep with to get into that program?” she asked, taking the last sips of her tea.

I banged my head against the back of the chair. “MOM! I didn’t have to sleep with anybody! I don’t whore myself.” I groaned. “I’ve just never heard of that program.” She said curtly, shrugging. “Oh, OK, you’ve never heard of it, so OBVIOUSLY I made it up and am really sleeping with my boss. Mom, how DO you get me so well?” I asked, rolling my eyes. It’s not often I get sarcastic with my mom, but sometimes she really just brings it upon herself. “Don’t get snippy with me, Lauri.” I took in a deep breath. “Ok, mom, I’m going to go put my stuff away in my room, get freshened up, and give us each some alone time. While I’m gone, take some more time to think of some mommy-daughter type questions to ask me.” I said, grabbing my suitcase.

When I was finally upstairs, I fell straight onto my bed. As much as I didn’t want to, I felt tears burning at the corners of my eyes. No matter how much I say I hate her, I guess I really do just want her to accept me. Just once. About something. Anything. But that was never going to happen. For a few years, I kept saying to myself, “She’s just not an emotional person.” But as I got a little older, I realized we were just one of those unlucky mother/daughter pairs that don’t click.

‘Come on Lauri. You knew it was gonna be like this. No use crying over it.’ I said to myself as I wiped a tear away. I slid off of my bed, unzipped my suitcase and groaned as my purse fell out. As I picked it up, Nick’s psycho turkey drawing fell out. I picked it up, leaned my back against the side of the bed, and smiled. It’s kind of ironic, how Nick, the guy a few days ago I hated and who also had ‘mommy issues’ was the one making me smile now. I ran my fingers across the stick turkey’s body and laughed. “God he is a weirdo.” I whispered, putting the drawing back into my purse. For about a half hour, I unpacked my suitcase and put my stuff into drawers. I only had about four outfits, but I just did it really slow so I didn’t have to go down to my mother so soon. When I finished, I walked down the hallway and into the bathroom, splashing some water onto my face. After wiping my face dry, I took a few steps back and looked at myself in the full length mirror. “You’ve put on weight.” was the only thing that kept replaying in my mind. True, the last time I saw my mom I was a size six, and now I was an eight, but still. That’s not fat, right?

Oh my God. Look at what she is doing to me. Of fucking course a damn size eight was fat. What is this woman doing to me? I pushed the bathroom door open, and walked briskly down the stairs. My mom was in the kitchen, taking some pie out of the oven. Damn, isn’t she just miss All-American right now? “Whatcha baking?” I asked, trying my best to be friendly. “A pie. I told you Karen and Mary are coming over. I like to do something nice when my friends arrive.” She said.

‘But not your daughter.’ I thought bitterly. “That’s nice. What kind?” I asked. “Apple.” She replied simply. I hit myself in the head while she was turning around. I was TRYING here, mom. Meet me half way. “So Lauri, did you stop going to the gym?” my mom asked me, leaning against the counter. “Yes, mom, actually, I did. I really don’t have time anymore, seeing as how I have a full time job. She shrugged slightly and turned bake doing some Susie Homemaker crap with her pie. “Well, you should really try to fit it into your schedule. You’re too young to be letting yourself go already.” I bit my bottom lip to stop from snapping back. ‘It’s only gonna make things work. Just let it slide.’ I whispered to myself. “Do you need any help with anything?” I asked, closing my eyes, already knowing the answer. “No, I got it. But if you want to start setting the table up so we wont have to do it later, I would appreciate it.”

Happily, I jumped out of my chair and went into the dining room. Hey, five minutes without my mother is five minutes without my mother. I don’t care if I'm setting the table.


5:45

The rest of the afternoon went just like the beginning. At one point we had somewhat of a normal conversation going about my job, but once I told my mom that I worked at Nick’s house, she was convinced we were sleeping together. By the end of the conversation I had said, “Yeah, mom, we’re sleeping together and I’m pregnant with his kid. You’re gonna be a grandmother in eight months.”, and she got mad at me. I mean, I tell her what she wants to hear and she still gets pissy.

I was sitting on the sofa, watching a re-run of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Aire when I heard a knock at the door. “I’ll get it.” I called to no one in particular. I knew my mom wanted me to get it. I knew her. Her master plan was for me to get it, greet the guest, and then she could walk out of the kitchen in an apron looking like super mom.

I jumped up and went over to the door, swung it opened and revealed two ladies in their late fifties smiling at me, both holding some kind of small baked good. “Lauri! It’s so good to see you!” They both said happily as I moved aside to let them in. “Nice to see you too, Mrs. Evers, Ms. Thomson.” I replied, giving them both an akward ‘I-haven’t-seen-you-since-last-year-and-you’re-both-holding-akwardly-shaped-dishes’ type of hug. My mom walked out, in all her glory, of the kitchen with her damn apron. Mind you, she hasn’t worn an apron all day while in the kitchen.

“Hello ladies!” my mother called, walking over and giving them both a hug. It made me sick to my stomach. When I walked through the door this afternoon, I didn’t even get a welcome home. Whatever. I’m already over it.

“Well, come on into the kitchen. Dinner has just finished. You can put those in the fridge and we can get to eating.”

Dinner started out semi-normal. There was mindless chatter between my mom and her friends about the new rec. center that was being built near Bangor, the remodeling being done at the local hair salon, of course, the latest gossip about Alicia’s mystery man.

And I was ok with amiling and nodding, and laughing at all they’re stupid jokes. But soon, they started talking about me, and my accomplishments in college, and my new job. Karen and Mary went on about how proud my mother must be of me and this and that. And my mom just started going off. “Oh, yes, I’m so proud of my Little Lauri. I always knew she would do good for herself in the big city. She has always been such and amazing child.” She said, staring at me with a loving smile on her face.

For a minute, I sat there stunned. Really? Has she always thought this? Has she always been proud of me? Maybe it really was just her nature to not show affection.

But then as she kept on talking, I realized her underlying plot. She just wanted to show off in front of her fucking friends! I stood up as quick as I could, my chair falling down and crashing onto the floor in the process.

“Fuck you, mother.” Was all I said as I walked out of the room and up the stairs to my room. As quick as I could, I began to pack all of my clothes into my suitcase, hot tears now freely falling down my face. That’s all I was to her. A trophy. Her big city girl she can show off to all of her friends. While I was shoving all my clothes into my suitcase, I fumbled for my cell phone from my nightstand. As quick as I could, I dialed the number I remembered from the side of the cab I rode here in and gave them the address. They had old me it would be pretty had for a cab to come all the way out here, especially the day before Thanksgiving, but I promised the driver an extra 100 bucks, so they were happy to oblige. By the sound of the dispatchers voice, I thought she was gonna come up to here and drive me back to Florida. She told me the cab should arrive with the half hour, so I hung up and continued packing.

About fifteen minutes later, I pulled my suitcase and purse down the stairs, listening to them clank the whole way. I didn’t care. I wish I could’ve made a hole in her stupid wooden steps, but sadly, that didn’t happen. My mother was still in the kitchen with her friends as I went to sit on the couch. I guess upon hearing me, she decided to come out and play mother with me. “Lauri, dear, what’s the matter? Are you feeling sick?” She asked. As much as I wanted to slap her, I didn’t. Plus, I was about to seriously embarrass her in front of her friends, which would probably hurt her more anyway.

“No, you fucking bitch. I’m perfectly fine. I did, however, just realize that no matter what I do, you will never accept me. No matter what accomplishments I achieve, I will never live up to your standards of perfection. And I have also discovered that to you, I am only some prize that you can flaunt to your friends. Look at the honors student that Clare Fostern birthed. Isn’t she fucking special?! I’m sick of it. I’m sick of coming here for MY vacation, only to be put down the entire time! I’m....” She looked back between me and the kitchen, where Karen and Mary were now intently watching the scene unfold before them. She was about to interrupt, but I stopped her. “No mom. Don’t speak. Just listen. I’m sick of you calling me fat and a whore and stupid, but as soon as guests come over, you feel like you have to pamper me like the fucking Princess of the Nile. So, Mrs. Karen, Ms. Mary, look at Clare’s perfect daughter. You’ll never have to see her again.” I finished, looking my mom straight in the eyes.

Don’t ask me. I don’t/will never know where all that courage came from. I have NEVER spoken to my mother like that. I mean, I called her a fucking bitch. (Which, is pretty cool). No matter how proud of myself I just was, I was still really upset. My mother didn’t say anything. She just stared at me. Finally, after both of us stood unmoving for a few minutes, she just slowly nodded. “I’m sorry Lauri.” She said quietly. Then, without looking back she walked into the kitchen, and finished dinner with her friends.

I sat there for about 20 minutes on the sofa, listening to her act like nothing had just happened. I could tell by her Karen and Mary’s voices that they were a little uncomfortable, but she just went on.

Finally, I heard my cab pull up. Silently, I brought my bags out, and without saying goodbye, we drove away.



At the Airport

I sat in the terminal for two hours, reading over a few magazines I had purchased at the book stand. On the cab ride, I had called Sara and had explained the situation to her as best as I could without getting emotional. She told me as soon as my plane lands to call her and she would pick me up. It seemed like now I was spending Thanksgiving at Sara house with her family. For a few minutes, I debated calling Nick, but I decided against it. I mean, he would probably understand the situation a little differently that Sara could, but he has his own Thanksgiving problems to worry about without having to deal with mine, too. Plus, I didn’t know Brian or his family and I didn’t want to barge in on them. But having Thanksgiving dinner with Sara and her family sounded pretty pretty amazing right now.

When I had first gotten to the airport, I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to get a ticket, being it WAS the day before Thanksgiving. Thankfully, not too many people from Maine fly out to Florida near Thanksgiving, so I got one of the last tickets. “You’re a very lucky young lady.” The guy behind the counter said as he printed my boarding pass. “You have no idea.” I replied, putting my luggage on the scale.


Friday, November 24th

I think Nick almost pissed himself when he walked by my office and saw me inside, typing up a storm. “You’re home?” he asked, walking up to me. “No, I’m in Maine. I’m a figment of your imagination.” I quipped. “Oh... welcome home. I just thought you wouldn’t be back till Monday.” He said. “Well, you thought wrong.” I snapped back. I know I shouldn’t be being mean to him, but I just wasn’t in the mood to play nice right now.

He stood there awkwardly for a couple of seconds, unsure of what to say next. “I guess this would be a bad time to ask you if you brought me a present?” he ventured. I looked up at him, suddenly really emotional. Then, all of a sudden, without warning, I burst into tears.

Hard, body-racking tears. “It’s OK if you didn’t. I was just kidding. I’m not really gonna fire you.” He said, running over to the side of my chair. I had to laugh just a little. “I know, loser. It’s not that. It’s.... it’s just....” it took me a while to finally get the whole story out. He listened quietly the whole time, rubbing my back. I finally ended my speech with a few hiccups and an “I’m sorry I freaked on you. I don’t know why I’m getting so upset all of the sudden.”

“It’s OK. I know how it can be.” He said softly.

And that was the last thing he said before he leaned over and kissed me.
Chapter 14 by ashley marie
WOW its been forever! well, for those who might care, lol, i took the midterm. lets just say only two people in the class actually passed it, me not being one of those people. lol. but its whatever. i know that teachers not going to fail me, she likes me way to much and wants me to take physics in her class next year. its whatever, science isnt my thing anyway. **and if you ask 'well, ashley, why are you in an AP Chemistry class, dont expect a good answer. i will tell you i honestly dont know because.... i honestly dont know.** but ANYWAY, i am technically am still passing the class so YAY ME! lol. i just thought id let everybody in on that, since it was the reason i havent been writing recently. anyway, long story short, we take AP exams next month, which in all honestly, im not stressing about too much, so from now on, chapters should be this far apart!! yay for me. ok, escuse me for being so long winded, here is chappy 14, finally. i really hope yall likey. review and make me happy!!!! love love darlings!!!!

ps - i hate chemistry!!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------



Chapter 14



Like many people, at any given moment, I have about a million thoughts running through my mind.

At this moment, there was only one, comprised of three words.

What the fuck?

Nick was crouch down in front of me, holding onto the arms of the chair for balance, but still totally relaxed into the kiss. I, on the other hand, was totally stiff. While I WAS kissing back, my body was pretty much rigid and my eyes were wide open. Thank God he didn’t open his or he would think I’m a total loser.

The kiss was overall tame, but when he tried to slip the tongue in there, my mind and body finally got on the same page and I pulled away quickly.

“Oh, God, Lauri, I’m so sorry. I shouldn’t have done that. That wasn’t....” he was talking so fast that for a moment I thought he wasn’t even speaking English. I finally interrupted him while he was in the middle of saying something that was either “I was totally out of line in just doing that.” or “I was totally outside holding a skull cap.”

Judging by the way the conversation was going I was betting on the first one, but it WAS Nick, so you never know...

“Nick, it’s ok. We are both in a really emotional place right now and we’re both looking for human contact for emotional support and comfort.” I said, like I knew what the hell I was talking about. “Wow. That was deep.” He replied. “I took a psych class sophomore year.” I shrugged. “OK, well, right now I’m going to go out on my boat to effectively avoid you, drink a couple of beers, and try not to feel to embarrassed come tomorrow.” He said honestly with a big smile. I just laughed. “You don’t have to be embarrassed, Carter. We’re adults, not in the seventh grade.” “I know.... but I’m immature.” He replied with his ‘duh’ voice. I laughed again and waved him out. Alright then loser, be gone. I have meetings and photo shoots to schedule for you.” “No more.” I heard him pout as he walked towards the door.

I turned back to the computer screen, pulling up my spreadsheet as I heard the door open. “Lauri?” Nick asked, holding onto the doorknob while turning back to face me. I looked up to him to continue speaking. “I really am sorry it didn’t work out with your mom.” He said seriously. I just gave him a half smile and shrug. “It’s whatever. Shit happens.” I replied. “That’s why we have toilet paper.” He joked while closing the door behind him.

He really does know how to make me smile.


**after work**

“Or maybe his cardinal desires are finally pushing through and this is his way of showing that he has been and always will be hopelessly and utterly in love with you.” Sara continued over her martini. Rolling my eyes, I took a sip of my water. “Yeah, cause he just knew me long enough to be in love with me.” I replied. For fifteen minutes now I have been listening to her theories about what was running through his ‘complex and elaborate male mind’. (Her phrase, not mine. Hey, she was here about twenty minutes earlier than me. I don’t know how much she has been drinking.)

“But Laur, it’s such an interesting thought isn’t it? OMG! (Yes she actually said O-M-G. Like, the letters.) What would you do if he confessed his love for you?!” She practically squealed. I just gave her a confused stare and shook my head. “I’d smack him in the face for being an idiot. We’ve only known each other for about a month, and we really only barely talk. So cross that thought off.” I finished. Sara looked visibly defeated. “Maybe he’s just horny and wants a quick fuck.” She shrugged, sipping down the rest of her drink. I laughed out loud. “Girlie, you have such a twisted mind.” I replied. “It’s probably true. And you’re SO conveniently there, in his house, all the time. He’s probably just waiting for the right time to strike. He’s probably going to seduce you with like flowers and... baby oil.” I was laughing so hard now that I was snorting. The was she was saying it in her all knowing voice mixed with a slight buzz from her liquor and imagining the situation just made me laugh.

“Baby oil? Where the hell did that come from?” I asked, finally slightly calming down. She giggled slightly and shrugged. “I don’t know what the fuck I’m talking about.” It was clearly obvious I would have to reassess the Carter situation on my own time. It just wasn’t happening right now.

“So, what’s going on in your life?” I asked her, watching a drop of water roll down the side of my glass. “Kinda boring. But I did get a call for an interview on Monday. Guess what store!” she asked excitedly. “I have no clue.” I replied. I hate that game. There are only 435 thousand possibilities in the world. Just tell me and get it over with. “Victoria’s Secret!” She squeaked. “Wow, Sara, that is so amazing! That would be to cool if you got a job there. You would get such amazing discounts and everything. And you DO know you would have to hook me up, right?” I said. “Of course, for when Mr. Carter decided to finally pull out the oil and get down!” she joked, poking at my arm. I just stuck my tounge out at her. “Come on hoe, let’s go to the mall. You need a sexy ass outfit for your interview. Plus, we can catch the last of Black Friday shopping. And... we’ll take my car. We’ll come pick up yours later.” I suggested. She wasn’t off the walls drunk, but she was a little tipsy, and I didn’t feel OK enough with it to let her drive.

**later that night**

We got back to the bar parking lot from the mall around 11:30, and it was still pretty much packed. While we walked around the mall Sara was eating a pretzel and drinking water, so she was all sobered up again. I stopped my car in front of hers, and watched as she jumped out of my car to grab her bags from the trunk. She walked back around to my window and gave me an air kiss. “Thanks for helping me pick out my outfit. It’s awesome. Bebe was the perfect choice.” She smiled. “No problem. It’s cute, you’ll totally kick ass and get that job.” “God I hope so. My mom has been riding my ass since the day I told her I quit.” She replied. “That’s because she has been sending you money!” I luahged. “Hey, that was her choice, not mine.” She replied. I rolled my eyes at her again. “Whatever, loser. Go home and get some sleep.” “I will. Thanks again. Oh, wait, and Laur... remember, if you walk into work Monday, and he is naked and covered in baby oil and rose petals... you’ll know he might just want cha!!” she squealed, running towards her car. “Would you stop being so damn dirty!” I called, pulling away and laughing.

**Monday November 27**

I walked into work on today, truly, truly thinking it would be a completely normal day.

Let’s just say Sara’s freaky theory was not TOO strange.

But this one was a tad stranger.

-------------------------------------------

review lovlies!
Chapter 15 by ashley marie
Hey my lovelies!! Well, I was actually unhappy with the last chapter after I reread it. I mean, I got all the points that I wanted to get out, but I don’t feel like I wrote it well. I think that I was just excited that I finally had time to write a chapter and post it that I didn’t really take the time to write it well. But, hopefully this chappy makes it up. I hope you all love!!! Well, here you go, leave me some love, cause it makes me happy!!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Sara he was butt-ass naked doing it with her right in the living room/” I replied more harshly into the phone, rolling my eyes. “I heard you the first time I just didn’t believe you.” She giggled. “Where is he now?” she asked. “His hiding place, the boat.” I replied thankfully. “Was he cov-” “No Sara, he was NOT covered in rose petals OR baby oil.” I responded. “Oh well... it was just a guess. Anyway, so like, what did he do? What did you say? What did you do?” she rattled off quickly. “I acted like a complete idiot.” I responded.

I walked into Nick’s house a few minutes late this morning, but that was normal so I didn’t really care. I stopped at a Wawa to get a cheap French Vanilla Frap and a candy bar for Nick. (A couple weeks ago I came waltzing into his house late with a coffee and he told me if I was going to be late I could at least get him something.) While I was closing the front door behind me in the foyer, I heard some muffled noises, but I dismissed them. I figured he was either watching porn, which would be good cause I could at least tease him about it for a good week, or he was watching a movie that just happened to be on a sex scene, which wouldn’t be as much fun, but still teaseable.

When I opened the foyer door into the living room, I stopped short of dropping all of the contents of my hands onto the floor.

There was Nick and some blonde chick, on the sofa, going at it. Just right there, on the sofa in the middle of the living room. I mean, I know it’s his house and all but, dude, it’s Monday morning and you have an employee coming in.

The minute he saw me, he practically pushed her off of him, grabbed a random article of clothing to cover himself with, and started fumbling over his words. “Laur, fuck, hi!” he stuttered, trying desperately to sound normal. Like having me walk in on him having sex was a normal occurrence. The girl he was with looked absolutely annoyed out of her mind, and not at all concered that she was sitting butt ass nakced in front of a stranger. She just rolled her eyes, picked up a large black t-shirt that was laying on the floor, slipped it on, and kissed him on the cheek. “I’ll be upstairs when your ready.” She practically purred into his ear. She gave me a once over before getting up and sauntering out of the room and up the steps.

There are times in life when two people are in a completely awkward situation, kind of just staring at each other with nothing to really say to lighten the situation. This was one of those times. We were kinda just staring at each other for a minute, and in retrospect I should’ve laughed. He was sitting on the sofa wide eyed, with a glittery red halter top sitting in his lap. I figured he probably would’ve just went up stairs if it wasn’t for the fact I would have the perfect view of his ass. “Umm... I got you this.” I blurted out, putting the Hershey Bar on the coffee table. I was mentally kicking my own ass. Yes, Lauri, that was the PERFECT time to give him that. “Thanks.” He said, looking kind of confused. “Alright, well, I’m going to get to work.” I said, preparing to walk down the hallway.. “Laur, is it Monday already?” he asked. It was my turn to look confused by him. “Yeah.” I assured, walking towards my office.



The phone was practically about to crack because of the volume of Sara’s laughter. “Hey Nick, I know I just caught you fucking some groupie on your sofa, and your practically naked in front of me, but here’s a candy bar.” She giggled. “It seemed like such a good idea at the time.” I laughed back. “Well, that should keep him away from you for a while.” “I guess. Anyway, you get back to getting ready. I have to go pretend to work now.” “Alright, well you have fun at work chicky. Wish me luck on my interview.” “You don’t need it, your gonna get it. But good luck anyway.” I replied, hanging up the phone.

I started playing around on the computer, not really having anything to do. It was about one in the afternoon, and there was really nothing to life threatening going on. Basically all the media has been covered for the tour, so there shouldn’t been a lot going on here, until after the tour ends. I guess I could get used to just hanging around here doing nothing. It’s not a stretch for what I'm used to doing anyway.

After a good twenty minutes of doing some cyber shopping on Rampage.com, I heard a soft knock on my door. Nick walked in, now wearing actual clothes and holding a Twix bar. “Peace offering.” He smiled, placing the candy on my desk. “I got you that because I was late for work.” I said, confused. “Yeah, for earlier. That was totally my fault. You shouldn’t have been put in that position. I didn’t know it was Monday. I was kind of.... wasted all weekend.” He admitted. I just smiled and took the wrapper of the candy. “No problem Nick. It’s your house. I don’t care what you do with who or where in here.” I shrugged.

He smiled again. “Well, I still apologize.” He repeated. “Honestly Nick, don’t. Seeing you in the cute red crotch wrap was apology enough.” I laughed. I know that was a cheap shot, but I had to take it. “It was her top!” He replied laughing. “I figured. Where were your pants?” I asked with a smirk. “Kitchen.” He admitted. “You were just all over the place, eh?” “Long weekend.” he shrugged. We were suddenly both quiet. “We have the most unprofessional employer/employee relationship ever.” I laughed. “We really do. But it makes the job more comfortable and.....interesting.” He shrugged again. “It’s defiantly interesting.” I giggled. “I guess it just sucks, cause I feel like every time we get kind of to a neutral ground, I do something to make myself look like an idiot.” He finally admitted.

I kind of felt bad. In all honestly, he DID make himself look like an idiot, but looking back, he really was trying to be the opposite of how he acted when we first met. “Nick, it’s alright. Like we said, shit happens. I don’t think any less of you cause you have sex with girls in your house. It’s your house. Your life. It’s really no problem. We’re both adults.” I told him. He smiled at me.

“Thanks. It really means a lot to me. I feel cool when I get your approval. I feel like I'm doing something right. Everyone I meet kind of agrees with everything I do, just because... I don’t know. I guess they feel.... compelled to I guess. But you don’t. And I like that.” He admitted. “I can get real opinions out of you.”

At this point, he was probably just sucking up.

But god damnit it was working so well. My heart was practically melting.

“It’s no problem Nick. I don’t mind ‘keeping it real’ with you.” I replied in my most gangster voice ever. Which is probably why he admitted such a laugh. “Don’t be jealous.” I mumbled. “I’m not, I’m not.” He assured.

“So, are you gearing up for he tour?” he asked, cocking his head to the side, and getting comfortable in the chair across from me. “I spend an hour a day telling myself it’s only a few months and mediating.” I said. “I was talking more along the lines of shopping and stuff. But’s gonna be fun. You get to be with me, basically 24 hours a day, so that should be exciting.” He replied, pretending to be giddy. “I am counting the days.” “Don’t be so mean. I know deep down you can’t wait. Maybe some night we can stay up and watch girly movies and paint each others nails!” He squealed. “That will probably never happen.” I said. “Oh, my feelings are just like... broken. You hurt my heart.” He feigned sadness. “Whatever, now leave so I can pretend that I’m doing important work.” “I’ll be back to bother you later.” He warned with a wink. “I’ll lock my door.” I mocked. “Alright, alright, I wont. But, really, thanks for the talk.” He said with sincerity. “Anytime.” I replied. He stuck his tongue out at me as he left the room.

We really do have the strangest relationship.

**Later that night**

“I think you have a crush on him.” Petra said, digging her spoon into the carton. “Petra, could you please scoop the ice cream into the bowl, not eat from the carton?” Sara asked. “Sorry.” She replied with a roll of the eyes. We were all sitting in my kitchen, having a celebratory get together for Sara’s interview. Sara called me telling me how the interviewer practically spelled out that she got the job, so we gathered at my house for ice cream, champaign and a ‘What Not to Wear’ marathon. “I do NOT have a crush on him.” I replied indignantly. “I was think the same thing. You talk about him all the time.” Sara replied, jumping up to sit on my counter. “And you seemed REALLY jealous when you were talking about him with that other girl.” Petra continued. “Please, I do not. Yeah, he’s cute. And sometimes he can be really sweet. But other than that, he’s bratty, spoiled, annoying and a man whore.” I finished. They both starting laughing. “Man whore.” Sara giggled. “He is.” I shrugged, scooping some ice cream out of Petra’s carton. “That’s the spirit.” She whispered. “Would you guys STOP EATING OUT OF THE CARTON!?” Sara growled. “It’s my ice cream.” I replied laughing. “Whatever Mrs. Carter.” She replied with a smirk. “Ewww, please. He is so damn immature.” I replied, grabbing some bowls nd heading into my living room, the two girls following behind me. Sara turned on the T.V.

“Ok, ok, now it’s time to make fun of people on tv and not feel guilty about it. And especially the host, because she pisses me off. Now, let’s drop the Nick-crush thing, because I most certainly do NOT have a crush on him.” I told them. They both just exchanged a smirk and agreed.

Whatever. At least I know I don’t have one.

Well, not a big one.


Review, review, review!!

And happy Easter and Passover to all those who celebrate it!!!!!
Chapter 16 by ashley marie
A.N: Hey lovlies!!!! Day off today, so I stayed in and lounged all day. It was pretty much marvelous! Lol. Well, whilst lounging I typed up a pretty long chappy! Hope everyone loves.

Also, I was checking something else from the story, and while I was reading around I noticed this little big error I made. I see that I wrote, way back when Lauri was at her mom’s house, that while Lauri was in the bathroom she had made a comment like. “Of course a size 8 is fat!”

That my loves, was a typo. It SHOULD’VE read. “Look what she’s doing to me. Of couse a size 8 isn’t fat.

When I read it I was just like.... o god that sounds horrible! Lol. I know if I would’ve been reading it I would be like, this bitch. Lol. I don’t even know if you guys noticed, but I did and I just wanted to clear that up. Behold the power of a single n’t. lol.

I just want to say THANKYOU to everyone who is reading and loving the story. I hope you guys continue to love!!! Lol. Well, let me stop talking. Here you go!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 16


November 30


“Do you have a passport?” Nick asked, continuing to flip through channels. We were sitting on his sofa, eating pizza, and watching TV at one o’clock on a Thursday afternoon. Yes, people, this is what I get paid to do.

I wish I could go back to college and smack my Governmental Sciences teacher tight in the face. ‘Once you get out of here you’ll realize how much easier college is than the real world.’ my ass. I should set up a camcorder up in here and send him the tape.

Nick came into my office around ten complaining of boredom. I told him to join the club, so for the past few hours, we’ve been flipping between ‘South Park’ and ‘Pimp my Ride.’ At 11:30 we even watched ‘The Look for Less’, but I told him we didn’t have to watch it anymore because I thought he was literally about to rip his eyes out.

“Yeah, I have a passport, why?” I asked, grabbing my iced tea from the coffee table. “Cause I was planning with some friends that when we are in Texas that we should go down to Cancun for a night, since were so close to Mexico. Were in Texas for like... three days with only one show, so I figured it was like... meant to be.” He said. “What friends?” I asked, giving him the eye. “Just like Rob, Bean, MikeBrentJames, Tommy...” “No, that’s ok.” The last place I ever want to be with Brent is in Cancun where he will most likely be drunk and even more of an asshole.

He pouted at me. “I promise I won’t even let Brent near you.” “I’ll.... Let’s just cross that bridge when we get to it.” I replied, rolling my eyes. I could see this turning into a very long ‘Please’ ‘No’ argument very soon.

He smiled over at me. “That’s a yes.” God damnit, Nick, I was trying to avoid this. “No.” “Yes.” “No.” “Yes.” “Nick, I will not hesitate to shove that remote right up your ass.” I warned. He just pouted up at me. “Meanie.” He replied, crossing his arms over his chest. I just shrugged and continued eating my pizza, while doing a victory dance in my head. I won, biatch.

“Why do you have a passport?” Nick asked, head tilted back, dangling cheese from the pizza and waiting for it to drop to his mouth. Now this screams classy. “Because I want to go to Switzerland. I got it so if I ever get a change to go, I already have a passport.”

Oh yes, I always think ahead. Far, far ahead to a place where I actually have time, money, and skills in speaking German, Italian, or French. Not to mention the emotional stability. “I’ve been to Switzerland. I recorded there. It’s really beautiful.” He noted, chomping loudly on his food.

Thank you, oh boastful one.

“Well, from what I saw of it anyway. I was working, so I kind of was just driving from hotel to studio. But it’s nice there. Why do you want to go there?” he asked.

I looked up at him, then looked down at my pizza quickly. “Just.... because.” I said quietly. I know we had a pretty open relationship, but he didn’t need to know everything about me and my past. I’m not ready to talk about it anyway.

I guess he sensed the, ‘Let’s not open that can of worms’ vibe and let it go.

“I’m excited to go on tour.” He offered, trying to start a new topic. “Me too. I think it’s going to be quite an....... experience.” “Yeah, we get to share a tour bus and everything. We’re gonna be bestest friends. And one day, you’ll stop being so sarcastic an mean to me!” He said, pretending to snuggle close to me. “We’re sharing a tour bus?” I basically spat.

That probably sounded a lot meaner than anticipated, but dude.... a tour bus. I will be surrounded by Nick for a solid 5 months, with no break. Like I said before, yeah, he’s cute and all but, oh my God. There is only so much Nick Carter one person can possibly take.

“Ok, we’ll continue this conversation when my hearts stops breaking into four thousand tiny pieces.” He said, feigning hurt, and putting his hand right over his heart.

I hit him with a pillow from the sofa right across the face. Lightly, of course.

“I was just kidding, jerk.” I sighed, sticking my tongue out at him. “No, that’s ok. You don’t want to spend time with me. You don’t have to. I know when I’m not wanted.” He then proceeded to fall backwards into the sofa, scrunching himself in as far as possible to the space where the back of the sofa meets the cushions.

“Nick, you’re such a baby!” I said, throwing the pillow at him again, hitting him on the back.

“No! I want to cry by myself!” he yelled as I began to try and pry him off of the sofa. I grabbed both of his sides and tried my damnedest to pull him off the sofa, but he somehow managed to latch his arm around the top of the sofa and wouldn’t budge and inch.

“Alright, loser, you stay here and I’ll be in my office..... working.” I shrugged.

I walked down the hallway, and retreated into office, slunk into my chair, and opened up Internet Explorer. I glanced at the clock, and it read 1:43. I figured he would be in here no later than.... oh say 1:55. I went onto bebe.com, looking around for perspective outfits I could wear on this tour. I really need to start shopping. I only had about a month to buy about a half a years worth of clothes. And traveling all over the country meant a whole array of clothes to fit the climate.

I heard the door creak open at 1:52. God, he has no patience. “Fine, just leave me all alone in an emotional turmoil.” He said, flopping down on the chair opposite my desk. He took a peppermint from the bowl off my desk. “I figured you would find your way here.” I shrugged, clicking on the ‘Clearance’ section of Victoria’s Secret page. The computer screen was turned away from him, so I didn’t mind him being in the room.

“Anyway, like I was saying before you so disgustedly interrupted my last statement, yes, we will be sharing a tour bus. You are my PR girl, an in Kodi’s eyes that says ‘Babysitter’. I had a PR babysitter during the Black & Blue tour, too. I haven’t hear from her in a while, but then again I guess they don’t give you pens and stuff when you get checked into an insane asylum.” He shrugged. I threw my pen at him. “You don’t scare me Carter.” I replied, giving him a smug smile. “Yes I do. You are so freaked out that I’m going to prank you. I can see it in your eyes.” He said devilishly, leaning in closer, holding onto the desk for support.

“You wish.” I said simply.

“Watcha lookin at?” he said, jumping up and looking over at my screen.

God damnit.

“OHHHH!!! That’s sexy!!! So are you gonna buy some of that sexy shit and bring it with you on tour?” he asked, clapping his hands together and looking down at me.

I hate men.

And yet I still clicked out of that page all flustered.

He just chuckled and went back to his seat. “I always wondered what the fetish was with girls wearing Santa like lingerie. Your trying to imitate an old, bearded fat man. I never understood it.” He said, referring to the girl that was just on the screen with red panties with fuzzy white trim.

That was the first time I have ever thought of it like that. God, he has to much time to think.

“What do you want for Christmas?” Nick asked, staring up at me.

I hate this question. Every year about 400 people ask me and every year I just look blankly at them. If I want shit, I just go buy it. So by Christmas, I don’t really want everything.

“I don’t know.” I shrugged, giving him the ‘sorry’ look. He sighed and hit his head on the desk. “Why did I know you were going to be difficult about this?” he asked. I just bit my lip and fought the urge to laugh.

“Hey, we’re not supposed to be getting each other gifts anyway. It’s unprofessional.” I reminded him.

“Lauri, you walked in on my having sex on Monday, and afterwards we discussed the rooms I did it in. I think we are past the unprofessional mark.” He said exasperatedly. i sighed. He had a point. “Season Two of Friends on DVD.” I shrugged. “Season two?” he asked. “Yeah, since I already have season one. I’m building the collection.” I replied with my ‘duh’ face. “That makes sense.” He laughed. “Anything eles?” he asked. I just shook my head.

I will NOT let him get me a lot of stuff for Christmas, because that will mean I get him a lot of stuff, and I DON’T have the money for that. I may not have to pay rent, but I do have school loans that will take me until I’m about 45 to pay off.

“What do you want?” I asked.

What WOULD Nick Carter want for Christmas. Especailly from me. What the hell could I give him that he couldn’t afford.

He looked up at me, hopeful. If he said that me in that damn Santa lingerie I will kick him in the face so hard. “It depends... what are you doing for Christmas?” he asked. I sighed. “I’m going to be celebrating the joys of Christmas alone.” I usually stay with Sara, but she is going to extended family member in Missouri and Petra, every year, goes to Italy with her family. I refused to impose on Sara or Petra and my mom was obviously not an option, and I don’t feel close enough with any of my other friends to stay with them.

“Good, cause now we both have company for Christmas.” He said, smiling at me.

Oh god, I'm spending Christmas with Nick Carter.
Chapter 17 Part 1 by ashley marie
Hey everybody!!!! i just took my ap chem test yesterday ((three hours of hell on earth)). so basically, our chem class is done!! for the rest of the year, we're going to be doing lab and stuff like that, but nothing big. from now on, i PROMISE, chapters wont be spaced so far apart. i'm sorry this one took FOREVER. but i hope you enjoy. this chappy is particularly long, so i broke it down ito part 1 and 2, and part 2 will be up tomorrow. Part 2 will be a bit longer and perhaps a bit more dramatic?? hehe. anywho, here you go for now. i hope you enjoy until tomorrow!

i will also now be repsonding to comments!!! yay!!! in the beginning i didnt do it because i didnt have much to say about the story because i didnt know what i was really gonna do with it and didnt want to just keep saying, hope you enjoy it and stuff like that. (and because i have slight ocd and it was looking messy, but thats a different story. i'm getting over it, yay!!!) but now i know what i'm doing, kinda, and wanna respond to you guys!!!!!!!!!! so yay for me. lol. anyway, here is part one!!!

________________________________________________________


Chapter 17 ---- part 1


::Later that night::

“Sar, it’s going to be so WEIRD spending Christmas with him. I’ve only know him for like, 2 months. It’s just gonna be so.... blehh.” I stated, settling back on the sofa and flipping through the channels. “Yeah, it is kinda weird, but I don’t know. This could be a very good way to further your career. You could....” “I’m NOT going to sleep with him!” I screeched before she could finish her sentence. “I wasn’t going to say that, Ms. Guilty Conscience.” “I don’t have a guilty conscience.” I replied, trying to hold the phone between my ear and shoulder. “Mmm-hmmm. You were thinking it!” she teased. I rolled my eyes while turning the station to the Style Network. “ANYWAY, what was your career furthering plan?” I asked, changing the subject. If I let this banter go on any more, she was going to have a field day with it and never give it up.

“Like I was saying, you could, you know, get all buddy-buddy with him, he sees you as a friend, and when it’s time for you to bust outta there next year, you can get one hell of a reference letter.” “Yeah, I thought about that too. I don’t know, I just guess it still weirds me out. I don’t know what I’m gonna like.... do with him. Ya know?”

Now in my min I was think along the terms of, what are we going to talk abut, what are we going to do after we open our presents who is going to cook? Stuff like that. But Sara took this a completely different way. “I know what you wanna do with him.” She giggled. “I hate you.” I mumbled into the receiver.

For the record, I do NOT want him.

“Come on. Be honest with me. How can you not be attracted to him? He’s cute, he’s rich, and he sounds nice. Plus, you spend everyday with him. There has to be a LITTLE attraction.” She said, sounded exasperated. “Honestly Sar, no. I mean, yeah, he is really cute. And he is really nice now. But, there’s no substance to us. We just work together. We don’t have deep conversation; it’s just this work banter stuff. No big thing.” “Well, he must think it’s some big thing if he’s inviting you to his house for Christmas.” She replied.

I hate when Sara makes sense.


Friday, November 31st

“No, he’s never invited one of his employee’s over for Christmas. I don’t think he’s ever even invited any of his girlfriends over for Christmas.” Kodi said over the phone.

Not the answer I was looking for.

When I asked Kodi this, I wanted her to say, ‘Yeah, he invited employee’s over all the time, I even came over a few times.’, or at least something to that extent, so I could prove Sara wrong.


Damn it.

Kodi giggled into the receiver. “Sounds like someone’s got a big crush.”

“I DO NOT HAVE A CRUSH!!” I basically screamed. She just continued to laugh “I’m not saying you, sweetie. It may be nothing. Maybe he just IS really that lonely this Christmas. But.... I don’t know. I know Nick, and I know he wouldn’t just... invite any old person over. Maybe he really does just feel comfortable with you. This can be interpreted in a couple different ways.” “I know it can be. I still think it’s kind of weird. But, whatever. I don’t have any family to go to this Christmas either, so what the hell?” You could just ask him.” She offered.

Yeah right. I’m not just going to ask him. That would be even..... weirder.

I’m such a freaking schoolgirl right now.

Kodi and me talked for a while more, a little bit about Nick and a little about nothing in general, then finally hung up.

I spun around in my swivel chair a couple times, then logged onto Office Max’s website. I ordered myself a cushy mouse pad and whiteout (gotta love that office retail therapy) and put my head down on the desk and began talking to myself.

‘Lauri, you are thinking way to into this. Stop being a loser and get yourself together. Stop. Being. A. Loser.’ I began to bang my head on the desk.

Alright, time to stop that.

I glanced at the clock at the bottom of my computer screen. It was 12:45 and I haven’t had lunch yet. I need a long lunch break. I grabbed my car keys. I want a smoothie. Yum! A smoothie.... and something from Subway. And I’m out of face wash so I better get some of that.

Hells yeah, a trip to the mall is in order!!!!

I walked out of my office, excited to have a nice afternoon, all to myself, to eat and do some quick shopping. This will be nice, being out by myself. As I was walking towards the front door, Nick bounded towards me.

“Where ya goin?” he asked, looking incredibly bored.

“The mall.” I said, without thinking. I realized immediately that was a mistake.

“Cool, can I come?” he asked, almost desperately. “Umm...” don’t be a bitch, don’t be a bitch... “Yeah, you can come. We’re taking my car though.” I said, dangling the keys in front of his face. If we take his car, we would have to leave when he decided. I have my keys, so I am calling the shots for that afternoon. He shrugged, slipping on his sneakers.

“I was going out of my mind.” He admitted, getting into my car and putting on his seatbelt. “Goody, I get to entertain you during my lunch break.” I said, rolling my eyes and starting the ignition. “There’s the Miss Meanie Pants I haven’t seen all day.” He said in his baby voice with a huge smile. I looked over at him, drastically rolled my eyes for effect, then pulled out of his driveway.

“So, what are you doing this weekend?” he asked, rolling down his window and pulling a pack of cigarettes out of his pants. I swatted them out of his hands and began talking. “I dunno. I’ll probably go shopping with Sara and Petra for when I go on tour and go to the movies. Something like that. I’m hoping on Sunday to stay home and motivate myself to clean my apartment.” I shrugged.

“I can’t smoke in the car?” he questioned. “You can’t smoke around me.” I replied. “Why?” he whined, shoving the pack back in his pants pocket.” “Because it’s dirty.” I replied simply. He stuck his tongue out at me, but I just ignored him. “What are you doing this weekend?” I asked. “I have to start going to this like.... tour bootcamp. It’s gonna suck. It starts on Saturday, and I have to go everyday except Sundays, to get in shape for the tour. It’s like... hell on earth. They don’t let me eat.” He pouted. I laughed at him. “They don’t let you eat at all?” I asked. “They might as well not. They are gonna give me all this like... healthy crap that tastes like shit. So tonight I’m going out with some people, drinking and eating until I get sick.” He stated proudly.

“That sounds like... fun.” I said sarcastically. Getting drunk out of my wits with a bunch of imbeciles is always high on my ‘fun-things-to-do-on-a-Friday-night’ list.

“I don’t get drunk often.” He said softly. Can he read my mind? Creepy.

“I’m not saying you do.” I replied, keeping my eyes on the road. “I know what you’re thinking,” He replied with a smirk. “I can tell by your voice.” “I just don’t understand that point of going out and get purposely drunk.” I shrugged, looking over at him as I stopped at that red light. He looked to be deep in thought for a moment.

“Because I’m immature.” He said finally. I just laughed and stepped on the ignition as the light changed green. “At least you can admit it.” I smiled.
Chapter 17 Part 2 by ashley marie
Here is part 2. I’m really proud of it, I think it turned out cute, so I hope yall like. The next chappy shouldn’t be TOO far in the future!!! Sorry I didn’t get to postit Friday, I didn’t have a chance to type it up. I had to see my best friend off to her prom (she goes to a different school) , and over the weekend I didn’t get a chance to type it up either, but her it finally is!!!!!!!!

-- Part 2 –

Nick was STILL talking as I pulled into a parking spot at the Tampa Bay Mall.

It was only about 15 minute drive from his house to here, but with him yapping the entire way, it felt like a fucking light-year. I had mentally blocked him out about 10 minutes back when he started talking about his first time AJ snuck him into a strip club.

Please so NOT ask me about how that got started. I have NO clue. I do, however, know that as I’m pulling my key out of the ignition, he is still talking about it.

“... and I was really freaked out, ya know. I mean, I was only 16 and this chick is throwing her bra in my face while AJ is laughing at me. It was really un...”

“Hey Nick, as much as I’d like to hear the rest of this, it’s time to get out of the car.” I said, hitting the door unlock button for effect.

He pouted at me. “Alright, but I’ll finish it on the way back. It gets really funny soon.” He said, getting out of the car. “I’m sure.” I mumbled, grabbing my purse and sliding out of the driver’s seat. I walked around the car to find Nick putting on these huge, butt ugly aviator’s. “Protection from the paparazzi.” He said, sliding them up his nose. I could see through the lens he was winking at me.

He is such a freaking loser.

“Whatever you say, Captain Camouflage.” I replied, walking towards the mall entrance. “Don’t be jealous of my cool sunglasses, Laur.” He said, trailing behind me. I turned around with a surprised look on my face. “Nick, is that you?! Oh my gosh! I couldn’t tell with those sunglasses on! I thought I lost you for a minute.” I said, in my best shocked voice ever. I even schocked myself. Damn I’m good.

He rolled his eyes at me and gave me the finger, then opened the door and held it for me. “You shouldn’t do that, ya know. I could sue you for... something.” I retorted as I breezed past him.

We walked around the mall for a good ten minutes, finally got ourselves situated in the food court for a while and had lunch, then picked ourselves up again for a short walk before heading back to the car. We were walking down one of the halls as he was chugging down one of those caramel iced lattes form Dunkin Donuts. “That’s such a girl’s drink.” I commented as I glanced into the window of Express. I am so going there as soon as I get my next paycheck. “Nu-uh. These things are good as shit. They have that caramel and sugar and crap. Little girls cant handle it.” “Nick, it’s a latte, the quintessential woman’s drink.” “I’m a MAN and I can handle it proudly.” He replied, taking a loud sip through the straw.

“Whatever, loser.” I replied, continuing my walk down the hall. “Taste some.” He said, shoving the plastic cup in my face. “I don’t want any.” I replied, scrunching my nose up. He had just been slobbering all over the straw. Get it away.

“Lauri, taste some or you’re fired.” He basically commanded. I grabbed the drink from his hand, while he gave me that sickening ‘I’m-the-boss’ look. “You’re such a a jerk.” I replied, bringing the straw to my mouth. Gag. “I’m just trying to prove that YOU, my dear, cant handle it.” I took a sip then thrusted it back to him. “There, I did it. I can handle your stupid girly latte.” “You couldn’t handle it.” I heard him say to himself. “Nick, this whole interaction between us has made no sense! You haven’t proved anything. I don’t even really know what your talking about anymore!” I replied frustrated. “I was really confused as to how me drinking his latte meant.... anything.

He confuses the very core of my soul.

“It made sense to me.” He replied, with a ‘duh’ look on his face. “Well, I can believe that.” I retorted. He just stuck his tongue out at me, and I had to laugh. He was a loser, but it was so funny and almost... endearing that it was completely adorable. As we walked past Victoria’s Secret, I squealed. “Sara’s working today, I have to go in and say hi!” I replied, pulling on his arm. He visibly perked up, as expected. “This store, totally rocks.”

As we walked in, a salesgirl came over to us. Nick was in back of me, leaning on me with his chin on my shoulder. “Can I help you with anything?” she asked. “Yeah, is Sara working right now?” I asked. She pointed to the further end of the store. “She should be working in the back near the IPEX section.” She said with a smile. “Anything else?” “No that’s it right now, thanks.” As she was walking away, I turned around to face Nick. “So am I doing a good job as your human leaning post?” I asked, annoyed. It was hot enough in this damn mall, I didn’t need him breathing down my neck on top of it. “I cant look like I’m here by myself. That would be weird.” He replied with his ‘duh’ voice again. “Nick, I’m not sure if you’re aware, but you are the epitome of loser.” I stated, walking towards the back of the store.

“You know, I DO have the power to fire you if you’re not nice to me.” He replied, following me. I just rolled my eyes as I continued walking. I saw Sara, pointing a girl in another direction, then ran over to her and gave her a hug. “Oh my gosh, Sar, you look so cute in your uniform thingie!” I shrieked. She laughed as she hugged me back. “I know.” She replied. Her hair was up in a ponytail, which I knew she absolutely hated. I tugged on my hair that fell down past my shoulders and winked at her. “Don’t you dare tease me, they MADE me, meanie.” She pouted. “Lauri’s been mean a lot lately.” Nick replied from behind me, still sipping on the damn drink. I glanced at it and saw it was practically empty, and I KNEW that soon that damn ‘still-sucking-on-the-drink-even-though-there-is-no-drink-left’ noise was soon to follow.

Sara glanced back at Nick, then threw me a questioning look, but I just held one hand up and gave her our official, ‘I’ll explain it later’ look. She nodded, then got this excited look on her face. “Lauri, you will never guess who works here!” she jumped.

I hate guessing games.

“I don’t know.” I replied, shoving my hands in my pocket and scratching at my leg and Nick began to suck air from his drink. Telling him to stop will only cause him to do it longer.

“Hold on, I’ll go get her.” Sara said, jogging towards the fitting room and disappearing behind the curtain. Nick continued sucking on his straw for a good minute before I grabbed it out of his hands.

“Give it back, I wasn’t finished.” He whined. “Yes, you were.” I said flatly.

We stood there for another minute, when Sara finally emerged pulling a raven haired girl behind her. I knew instantly who it was.

“KENDALL!!” I practically screamed, running up to her and hugging her. About the whole store was staring at me, but I didn’t care. Kendall and I had become really close the first two years of college, but since out majors were completely different, (I was studying Communications and Rhetoric, she double majored in Art Theropy and Elementary English Education—kids are her thing if you cant tell), we began to have less and less classes together and we slowly drifted apart. We had only talked to each other once on the phone since graduation.

“Hey Lauri! Oh my gosh, I missed you so much!” she reply pulling away from my hug and smiling. She glanced past my shoulder and gave Nick a strange look. “HI... Nick Carter.” She shrugged, looking at me. I just laughed. She returned her attention back to me. “We have to hang out soon. Like, tomorrow.” She replied excitedly. “That’s great, me and Lauri are already going shopping tomorrow. You should come and we can get lunch and talk. Like old times.” Sara put in, pretending to look teary eyed. We both smacked her playfully.

Then, an older looking woman came from behind the dressing room curtain and looked sternly at Sara and Kendall. “Listen Laur, we have to go. But I will see you tomorrow!” she replied, hugging me and scurrying back to the dressing room. “I’ll call you tonight!” Sara yelled back at me, closely following Kendall.

I looked over at Nick, who was still pouting at me about his damn cup. “Come on Nick. I’ll get you a new one on the way home.”

“You better.” He replied as we walked out of the store.


**Monday**

I sat down at my desk on Monday, completely ready for a good start to the week to complete my awesome weekend. I didn’t expect to see Star magazine sitting on my desk with a picture of me and Nick on the cover with the title ‘NICK CARTER’S NEW BEAU’ splashed across the cover.
Chapter 18 by ashley marie
I stared down at the magazine incredulously. My heart began beating harder and my mind was racing. I felt light-headed and for a minute I thought I was going to throw up. After closing my eyes and taking a few breaths, I looked down at the cover again and took in everything. Our picture and caption was, of course, much smaller than the acclamation to Brangalina’s newest feat in their campaign to single handedly save the world, but..... still.

I don’t know if you’ve ever been unknowingly featured on a tabloid cover or not, but if you haven’t had the opportunity, know this: it sucks.

My brain was doing overtime. About 400 thoughts a second were passing through. I didn’t see nay photographers. How long were they following us? Have they followed us before? Do they know where I live? Does Kodi know about this? Am I going to get fired?

In the middle of my circling thoughts, I noticed a small blue tab sticking out at the top. I turned as quickly as possible to that page. And there I was, Lauri Michelle Fostern in three pictures on page 28, in a half a page article. One of the pictures was from earlier in the mall when he had his arm around my shoulder and I was laughing at some stupid joke he told, one was just a random picture when we were sitting in the food court, and one was, of course, where he was leaning his chin on my should in Victoria’s Secret.

I groaned, and looking at the first picture, I rolled my eyes. It SOOO looked as if I was flirting with him. I hate photographers. It was the dumbest fucking joke ever. That’s why I was laughing. Fucking boo.

I closed my eyes for a moment and began to read the article.

Looks like 24 year old ex-Backstreet Boy Nick Carter is trying things out in the dating world again. Last week, the blonde one was scene getting up close and personal with an unknown brunette in a local mall. The two were scene walking, laughing, leaning on each other and even drinking out of the same cup. If that’s not love, we don’t know what is.
“He was all over her.” A source inside Victoria’s Secret, a store which they walked in together (picture, top left), tells Star. “He was leaning on her practically the whole time they were in here.”
Carter, who just 5 months ago broke up with Paris Hilton and three months ago covered up his Paris wrist memorial, will start his first solo tour January 4th in New York.


When I was finally finished reading the article, I looked up to see Nick leaning against the door post with a grin on his face. “Hey.... snookems.” He joked.

I basically picked up the magazine and hurled it at him.

“THIS IS NOT FUNNY YOU JACKASS!” I screamed.

It took a few moments for the look of shock to completely drain from his face. “How is this not funny?” he asked.

I sighed and leaned back in my chair. “Nick, I don’t know if you’ve ever had a job, or tried to move up the ‘corporate ladder’, but I am, and becoming the slut that sleeps with Nick Carter within the first two months of knowing him is NOT going to help me in any way!” I went on.

“I don’t see the big deal. We’re not really dating, so I don’t see why you’re all worried and whatever.” I rolled my eyes. “Nick, just because you and I know we aren’t dating, that doesn't mean the rest of the world does. We can tell them up and down that we aren’t, but if they have pictures like these, then that doesn't look to good, does it?” I asked. He shrugged softly again then continued. “I don’t know. It’s a tabloid; nothing in there is ever true. You think they would know that, if you were working for smart people.” I stared at him blankly while rolling my eyes.

He just ISN’T getting this. “Um.....I’m.... sorry?” he replied, looking confused again. I shook my head. “It’s not your fault. This just.... needs to get fixed. Call your publicist and tell her.... oh, that’s my job. I’ll call your publicist later and get this straightened out.” I said, waving my hands in the air. “I thought you’d think this was funny.” He replied apologetically. “I figured.” I smirked. “And what is that supposed to mean?” he asked, walking over and sitting on the chair opposite my desk. “You usually think a lot of stupid things are funny.” I shrugged. “Offened.” He replied, putting his hand over his heart. He opened the magazine that I threw at him and opened it again to page 28, showing me the pictures.

“I didn’t know you gazed at me so when I talked.” He said in his ‘romantic’ voice, while pointing at the picture of me laughing. “Yeah, I was laughing at how immature your joke was. I wouldn’t call that a loving gaze.” I replied. “You can’t hide your love from the cameras. You know, maybe we shouldn’t call my publicist. I mean, now that I know how much you want to be with me and everything.” He continued, fluttering his eye lashes. I picked up my pen and threw it at him. “You look just like.....” he replied, dodging the pen.

“Don’t say it, Carter.” I warned. “... a fan.” He finished.

“I have to kill you now.” I replied flatly. Nick jumped up from his chair, and ran straight out of the room. With out thinking, I pulled off my sandals and darted out of my office right after him. “Oh shit!” I heard him scream when he realized I was following him. “I am NOT a fan, Carter!” I hollered as I followed the sound of his foot steps. He ran around the first floor of his house for a good few minutes and made what, even I have to admit, was a spectacular jump over his living room sofa. Finally, he opened the door in his kitchen and ran out side to his huge back yard. At this point I was right behind him. He looked lost for a minute, then cannon balled right into his pool. When he finally surfaced, he looked up at me and gave me the finger. “Hey, I didn’t make you go in there, jack ass.” I called into him. “I knew you wouldn’t come in here. Your to prissy.” He called back at me.

Eww! So he thinks I’m a priss that can’t get wet. Jerk. I guess I was up for a challenge today or something.

I pretended to walk away, and while I heard him making his ‘you’re a big baby’ remarks (he is SO mature for his age)and ran right to the edge of the pool and jumped in.

People make bad mistakes in there life. This is one of them.

My white blouse (of course, today was the day I wore the white blouse) immediately became see-though blouse, and my black Capri’s were so uncomfortable and clingy I thought I was going to throw up. But I swam my hardest towards him until we were nose to nose. “I am not a priss.” I challenged. He just stared at me for a minute, then without warning, his hands were on both of my shoulders and I was being completely dunked under water.

I don’t like being put under water against my will. I have techniques for ending the game pretty quick.

I quickly focused my eyes and began to undo his pants button. (like I said, I DO NOT like being held under water) “What the hell are you doing?” he asked between laughs. “I don’t like being under water.” I practically gasped, catching my breath. “No, it’s that ‘You secretly want to be with me’ thing I think. But Lauri, under water molestation? I didn’t think that was your thing.” He smirked.

This, of course, lead to me trying to dunk him, which was hard because he was trying to do the same thing. It kind of just ended up as a splashing contest. We finally stopped when we heard someone screaming from the other edge of the pool. We both turned around and I looked up at the guy standing on the edge. I think it’s another one of those guys from his band. “AJ!!” Nick practically screamed in my ear. “That’s AJ.” He said to me, pointing over at the guy. “Oh, thanks, I didn’t get that the first time.” I replied, rubbing my ear.

AJ walked over towards us, leaning on the edge of the pool. “AJ, what are you doing here?” Nick asked, holding onto the edge and looking up at him. “I was gonna ask you the same question.” He replied, peering over his glasses. “Oh, this is Lauri. Lauri, this is AJ. Lauri is my assistant that wants to be my girlfriend but cant have me.” He winked up at AJ. “You are such a fucking loser.” I replied. AJ laughed and extended his hand down at me. “I suppose it’s the other way around?” He asked, shaking my hand. “Eww.” I remarked, scrunching my nose up. He laughed again. “Now, should I leave you kids alone and come back later or....” “No, you can stay, we were just getting out anyway.” I replied. “Alright. I guess I’ll meet you at the other side?” he replied, getting up and walking over to the back of the house. “You have a lot of explaining to do Carter.” He called over his shoulder.

I ducked my head underwater for a minute, filled my mouth up with water, squirted all the contents and him, then swam for my life to the steps. I ran up the steps as fast as possible, but he still grabbed my leg. AJ began smacking him n the head and he finally let me go. AJ practically pulled me out of the pool and set me on the ground. “Should I even ask?” he questioned. I just laughed and shook my head. Nick pulled himself out of the pool, and AJ looked at him and me questioningly as Nick re buttoned his pants. I just shrugged innocently. “Youth.” He replied, shaking his head. Then both of them focused there attention on me, letting their eye wander down to my chest then back up to look me in the eyes. I quickly crossed my arms over my chest and rolled my eyes. “Can some one please get me a towel?” I asked. “I’ll get some.” AJ chuckled noting Nick’s wet clothes, walking towards the house.

“How does one explain this?” he asked with a laugh. I just shrugged, then wiped some water from under my eyes. When I looked at my mascara and eyeliner-ed index finger, I groaned. “This is great.” I stated. “You could start a trend.”


“You know, I know you want me and everything, but putting yourself in a one woman wet t-shirt contest isn’t really the answer.” He then looked like he was rethinking his statement. “Never mind, yes it is.” “You’re such a jerk.” I replied, refolding my arms across my chest.

I wonder if we can ever have one normal employee-employer day together.
Chapter 19 by ashley marie
hey all. not TOO much happening in this chappy,but within the next 2 chappys is Christmas and in about the next 3 chapters the tour will be starting so espect the stroy to TRULY take off there. anyway, i hope you enjoy this one!!!!!! :)


--------------------------------------------------------

Why do rich people have to make everything so difficult? I feel like a NASA scientist just for figuring out how to turn off the shower head from hell. There were FOUR knobs! Why, don’t ask. I wrapped a towel around myself as I cracked the bathroom door open.

Oh yes, I just showered in Nick Carter’s bathroom. Jealous? Don’t be. It was easily the most difficult thing I’ve ever done. I still can’t figure out what the fucking forth knob was for.

I scurried across the hall into the bedroom that Nick had promised he would lay clothes out for me in. After a good half hour of complaining about Nick to AJ, Nick finally decided to shut me up by telling me my hair was getting frizzy and suggesting a shower while he threw my clothes in the wash. I only gave him my pants and shirt though. I’ll deal with wet underwear and bra. He doesn’t need to hold that.

Although it is pretty much abnormally uncomfortable.

I closed the door behind me and locked it. I’ve learned in the past that Nick does have impeccable timing (recall the phone call situation, eh?) and precautions are pretty much necessary.

I walked over to the bed to examine what I would be wearing for the afternoon and immediately rolled my eyes. Black Nike sweats that were approximately 12 sizes to big for me and a white Journey shirt with these horrible black three quarter sleeves. At least he tried to match, I guess.

I flipped my head upside down and began to towel off my hair. I could see in the mirror that this was not going to be a good day. The chlorine mixed with his crappy Suave shampoo just was not going to cut it. (This hair does NOT mix well with Suave. But isn’t it a girls shampoo? He is starting to worry me.) I got into my bra and underwear (don’t worry, they were well ringed out and I even blow-dried them a little), and then slipped into his… ensemble. These drawstrings have never been pulled so tight in all there lives.

I ran my fingers threw my hair and quickly realized drying this mess properly would take a half hour, and still look crappy, so why bother. I brushed threw it as best as I could, stuck in all in a messy bun on the top of my head and called it a day.

I laid down on the bed for a few minutes, staring up at the ceiling. Jesus, this bed is comfortable. And huge. This whole room is huge. I sat up and looked around a bit. This bed room would have EASILY swallowed up my old living room AND kitchen. It had a queen sized four poster bed with… lavender and white blankets. I walked over to the light pine book shelf and read some of the titles of the books. The entire Shopaholic series, Chicken Soup for the Soul part III, and four issues of Glamour. I glanced over at the dresser and raised my eyebrows. Come on, I HAD to look now. I leisurely strolled over to it and opened the top right drawer. There were a few pairs of panties and one REALLY nice lace Victoria’s’ Secret bra. From the Angels Collection, if I’m not mistaken. Looks expensive.

Oh my God, I’m jealous of Nick Carter’s bra.
I rolled my eyes and shook my head. I guess some people like to experiment. Whatever, it’s his thing.

I closed the drawer and walked out of the room. I’m afraid of what I might find if I continue to look around.

Nick and AJ were having some serious conversation, and looked kind of relieved to have a break as I walked into the room. “What the hell did you do to get the honor of wearing Nick’s favorite shirt?” AJ asked as I sat on the sofa. “It’s not my favorite.” Nick said, looking over at him. “Whatever.” AJ replied, throwing a pillow over at him. “Alright man, I gotta get rollin’, do you mind getting those CD’s for me?” AJ, picking his grabbing his sunglasses from the table and sliding them in his shirt pocket. “Yeah, there in my room, I’ll be right back.” Nick popped up from his seat and went up the stairs. “So, you like working for Nick? Is he being good to you?” AJ asked me.

I don’t know how to respond to this. I mean, it IS his former band mate. I guess honesty is the best policy…

“He’s being good to me. And it’s... interesting.” I finally said. AJ just laughed. “I can imagine that. Don’t worry, it’s only going to get weirder on tour with him. Just… try your best to keep him in line. I don’t think you’ll have a problem with that, though.” he winked at me. I was just about to ask him what planet he was from when I heard Nick come from down the stairs and walk back into the room. “Here ya go man.” Nick said, tossing the CD case to AJ. “Alright Nick, I’m out. I’ll see you tonight?” AJ asked, standing up to do that weird guy-handshake hug-but-not-a-hug thing. “Yeah, I’ll meet you there at nine.” Nick responded. Before he left the room, AJ shook my hand. “I hope to see you around.” he said, smiling at me. “Same.” I replied as he continued out of the room.

Nick sat back in the chair that AJ was previously in after we heard the front door open and close. “Big plans tonight, Carter?” I asked, crossing my leg and leaning back on the plush sofa. “Were going to a club that’s opening downtown.” he replied. “On a Monday?” I asked. He shrugged with a ‘I thought the same thing’ look. “Oh, well.” I replied, stretching out on the sofa. I should really get back to work soon. I’m getting way to comfortable. “Do you… wanna come or something?” he asked.

“Nah, that’s ok. Monday clubbing isn’t my thing. Plus, I don’t think me being in your vicinity in public isn’t really good right now anyway.” I replied. “Yeah, you’re probably right.” he said quickly. Whatever. “So Carter, that’s a pretty nice room you got up there.” I said with a smirk. “Yeah, my sister lived with me for a few months last summer during that whole… thing… with my brother and mom. She left some stuff there that she didn’t want anymore.” “Oh, I was gonna say your makin me a little nervous, Carter.” I slid off of the sofa. “Alright, it’s time for me to get back to work.” I said, waving over my shoulder. “Yeah, I’m sure you’re gonna get right to work.” he called after me with a laugh.

** Later that Afternoon**

I just got off of the phone giving some hotel in Arizona the phone number to Nicks’ tour manager when Nick walked into my office holding my clothes. “I just remembered they were in the dryer.” he said, sitting on the chair opposite my desk and placing my clothes right in front of me. “Thanks.” I replied, moving them from my desk to my lap. “Well, I’m going to go out for a while. I have to go pick my friend up for this club opening tonight.” he said, rolling his eyes. I probably wont be back before you leave, so…. I’m sorry for the water incident earlier.” he said, extending his hand over my desk.

“Don’t apologize, loser. I jumped in by myself.” I laughed. “I just figured…. I don’t know, I’m just so used to apologizing to you I that it comes naturally.” he shrugged. I laughed again. “You’re a dork. Anyway, go, have fun tonight. Go hook up with some girl so it doesn’t look like we’re dating.” I replied, shooing him out of the room. “I love how hard you try to push me out of your life.” he replied, pretending to be hurt. He smiled at me before he got up, and began to walk out of the room.

“Nick, wait a second, come here really quick.” He stopped and walked back over to my desk. “What, did you finally realize your true feelings for me and are now going to beg to have your way with me?” he asked, leaning on my desk trying to look seductive. “I really could sue you one day.” I said as he began to make a kissy face. He laughed as I continued to talk again. “No, listen. In the article, they said there was an anonymous source? What do you think of that? Who do you think it was?” I asked. He shrugged and looked me in the eye. “It could’ve been anyone that was in the store, they could’ve just made someone up. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was Sara or….” “No,” I butt in quickly. “Sara wouldn’t do that.” I said firmly. He shrugged slowly and began to turn around. “It might not be. But, you’d be surprised what people close to you will do for money.” he said.

I sat in my desk and stared at him as he walked towards the door. “Welcome to my world.” he said seriously before shutting the door behind him.

Well, THAT made me feel helluva lot better.

I stared down at the magazine still on my desk and took in a deep breath. This sucks.
Chapter 20 Part I by ashley marie
i know ive been super slacking. you know when you get all ready to do something everything kinda goes wrong. yeah... that sucks. anyway, i finally am able to update!!! yay!!! and i already started the next chapter last night, so it WILL (not should) be up next week. thanks AGAIN for being so patient with me. you guys rock. and since you were so patient... PARTS I AND II!!!!!!

and happy 4th of july and what not to those who celebrate.

_------------------------------------------------


Chapter 20 ---- Part I



Sara sat on the stool next to my counter, pushing around macaroni and cheese with a sigh. “I knew she would do that. I should’ve figured out what she was doing when she kept glancing all around the store when she was talking to that guy and girl. They didn’t even pretend to be browsing. It was so obvious. If you want, I can kick her ass tomorrow.” She said, suddenly looking excited. I smiled and rolled my eyes. “If you want.” I replied.

After contemplating it over all day, I decided to be extra brazen and come right out and ask her if she talked to the reporter. She looked hurt and upset at first, but we got to talking about the whole situation, and what Nick had said to me, and she finally said she could see where I was coming from and how I must be feeling about everything. Then I asked her if she though it could be Kendall, and she said no, because her and Kendall were practically attacked at the hip all day. We finally concluded that the first girl Nick and I talked to was the one who must’ve talked to the reporter.

“She is such a bitch. All the time. I bet her dumb ass didn’t even get any money out of it. She probably thought they were going to put her name in the article or something. She’s trying to be an actress…. or a singer. ” Sara continued, pretending to gag herself. “Can she do both?” I asked. Sara just laughed. “She can’t do either. She’s going to audition for American Idol, but that depends if the ‘Americas Got Talent’ audition goes well or not. She’ll be on one of the shows… in the first few episodes anyway.” She giggled. “I kinda hope to see her there.” I replied, throwing my paper plate in the trash can. Sara did the same and followed me out into the living room, plopping down on the sofa while I grabbed the remote from the coffee table.

“So, superstar, what’s it like to see yourself in a big fancy magazine.” Sara asked, dangling the copy I took from Nick’s house in front of my nose. I rolled my eyes and took it from her. “First off, it’s not a magazine, it’s a tabloid. They are very different. Second, it sucks. It’s invasive and creepy and strange.” I replied, tossing onto the coffee table and turning the TV on. “Come on, it has to be KIND of cool. I mean, to someone who reads ‘Star’, you’re famous.” She said knowingly. “Well, maybe someone will ask for my autograph and sell it on eBay. Then I’ll know I’ve made it.” I replied, stretching out on the sofa.

“Speaking of the wonderful world of Carter, how is everything over there?” she asked, grabbing the remote from the cushion and flipping through the channels. “Good I guess. I don’t know, we’re weird together. I guess he’s kinda fun to hang around. But I still can’t stop looking at him like this spoiled little popstar that fucks anything that looks his way.” “That’s an awkward way to look at someone.” Sara replied, wrinkling her nose. I laughed and nodded. “Yeah, it kind of sucks. And I’m so confused about this whole Christmas thing. I mean, what the hell do you buy a millionaire for Christmas? ‘Here Nick, a fifty dollar gift certificate to J. Crew. Go crazy.’ Christmas in in like… TWO weeks!” I said, putting my hands in front of my face.

“I dunno. I mean, I guess whatever you get his will be cool. I honestly don’t think he expects some extravagant gift from you, anyway. Just the fact that you, the love of his life, are gonna be with him on Christmas is probably enough for him. But if it helps, I can hook you up with a discount on our Christmas themed baby-dolls. Spice things up a bit.” She shrugged. “Sara! He better NOT expect and extravagant gift, I am NOT the love of his life, and I am NOT wearing lingerie at my bosses house on Christmas!” I replied, exhausted. She just shrugged. “Lauri, he invited you… over his house…. not only for Christmas….. but also to stay over Christmas Eve. People that are just kinda acquaintances don’t do that.” she said in her ‘duh’ voice. “Sara, I’ve stayed over your house before on Christmas and Christmas Eve, and you don’t want to sleep with me, what makes this situation any different?” I asked, rolling my eyes again. “Who said I didn’t want to sleep with you?!” she asked exasperated. I gave her a confused look, and after a few minutes, she finally burst into laughter. “Lauri, when you’re all flustered and confused you get so gullible. It’s almost frightening.” I simply gave her the finger and continued on with the conversation. “Anyway, whatever. I know that it’s not true,” she stuck her tongue out at me, “so can you PLEASE help me figure out what to get this man?”

**next day** 9:30

I sat at my desk, going through the calendar and putting in the last official tour date in the schedule that had to be sent out to the Backstreet Boys’ managers so they could monitor what Nick was doing during his tour. Kodi had explained to me that even though they didn’t have any control over what he was doing while he was on his own, they still like to keep a track record over what each member of the band does while not on official Backstreet crap for Human Resources or something. Probably to throw it in his face when or if the group decides to get back together, but no one really worries about it now.

I checked all the dates and venues, a d when I was happy with it, I sent it to Kodi who would then RE check it and send it to, well, probably someone else to recheck it. It will eventually turn up with his manager, hopefully before the end of the tour.

Now bored, I looked around the office trying to think of something else to do with myself. Sara and I talked last night about Nick’s gift, and we finally decided that I should just ask him up front and not play this stupid guessing game. We both figured that whatever he wants he can just buy himself anyway, so what’s the point of stressing. Plus, the whole guessing game is only fun with your close friends, anyway. I just hope whatever he wants is less then my monthly check to pay off my student loan.

I was about to go raid his kitchen when Nick , wearing nothing but boxers and a wife-beater, practically burst through my door laughing hysterically. I looked up at him as he stumbled around my office until finally falling down into the chair in front of my desk.

I cocked my head to the side, stared at him as he continued to keel over into fits of laughter, and finally got up and walked out of the room. I could smell a mixture of alcohol and cigarettes on him from across the desk, and was just not in the mood for his games this early in the morning.

I walked straight into the kitchen, headed for the freezer , popped it open and found exactly what I was looking. I grabbed the box of Toaster’s Strudels and dumped the last two Strudels onto a napkin on the counter. Only in my life do you get paid to eat your bosses last two breakfast pastries. I began the strudel heating process as Nick followed me into the kitchen and fell onto the floor.

Like, he was literally laying on the floor.

“I’m drunk.” he pronounced, beginning to imitate the making of a snow angel. (And in all honesty, I really believed he thought he was actually doing it.)

“I can tell.” I replied, stepping over him to get to the toaster. “I have a girl upstairs.” he slurred, continuing to …. snow angel. “Well, you better go tend to her.” I replied, uninterested.

This phrase cause him to curl up and laugh again, and I just rolled again and prayed this damn toaster would pop soon.

“Like a…. FLOWER!” He screamed, giggling and snorting like a four year old on crack. Except he was a 25 year old…. that, well, was still most likely on crack.

“Yup, just like a flower.” I replied. Has it really only been 20 seconds. And this piece of shit needs to stayed down there for 5 minutes. I think I’ll write to the pastry company about this.

“I just got two hours ago.” he said, pulling himself off the floor and leaned on the table. He wobbled for a minute, then finally collapsed into a chair. “You got home at 7:30 in the morning? What the fuck did you guys DO last night?”

Why am I actually trying to hold a sane conversation with him right now?

“We were… dancing and partying and driving and I drank some and I had sex like…. a million times.” he said, which, as you may or may not have guessed, caused him to begin to laugh again. I rolled my eyes and grasped the counter. I hate being around obnoxiously drunk people. But I figured since I will probably be dealing with this while I baby sit him on tour, I figured now would be a good crash course.

“A million? That’s a lot.” I replied, turning around to lean on the counter.

“Well, not really a million…. more like…. 4.” he replied, counting on his fingers. “But I think there were like… 7 girls. One of them is in my room.” He said, winking at me. Oh my God, he is such a sleaze. “Were you intoxicated with you were having sex? Did you use protection?” I asked. “Was I in.. toxa… intoxa…..intoxalted?” he asked, looking so painfully confused I want to cry for him. “Drunk, Carter? Where you drunk when you had sex?” I asked, crossing my arms over my chest. “I don’t remember.” he replied, waving his hands in the air.

That means yes.

He sighed loudly and banged his head on the table. “I’m hungry!” he whined. “I think that’s why I came down here.” he continued, picking his head back up. “Well then you better make yourself something.” I shrugged, waiting the last minute till my strawberry strudel popped.

“I don’t think people will think were dating anymore. I think the papa… the papara… paparizzi took lotsa pitures of me and…. stuff.” he said, rubbing his temples.

The toaster finally popped and I grabbed the pastry that popped out and put them on a paper plate. I brought it back over to the kitchen table where Nick was, opened the icing packet, and began to spread the icing around.

“That looks good.” Nick mentioned as I took the knife to spread the icing. “I bet it will be. You should go make yourself one.” I figured he wouldn’t feel like actually get up to make himself one, but even if he did, he’s too drunk to comprehend that there aren’t any more left and will probably end up sticking Ellio’s pizza in the toaster. He’ll eventually figure it all out, but I figure by that time I’ll be on my way home.

I really do believe it will take that long.

After I finished icing, I got up to go the fridge to grab some cranberry juice and then to the cupboard to grab a glass. By the time I poured, put the container back in the fridge and got back to the table, the second strudel was already half devoured.

“Nick, are you fucking serious?” I asked as I sat down at the table. “I was fucking hungry. This shit is hot.” he commented, reaching for the last piece.

I want to punch him in the forehead.

Just then, this chick clad only in her underwear saunters right into the kitchen. “Nicky, I’m lonely.” she purred, leaning against the counter. She was pretty much wasted too, but I don’t think as bad as Nick.

“I’m sorry, Stephany.” He purred back, pushing his chair back. “It’s Stacy.” she pouted. “Same thing.” he muttered as she sat on his lap. He kissed her on the lips quickly and then they began…. just going at it on the table. For a minute I was in utter shock and couldn’t move. She was pulling his shirt above his head and throwing it onto the floor, he was putting her up on the table, and I was sitting there directly across from them, like the biggest dumb ass in the world. He was about to pull off her underwear, and then he looked up at me and asked, “Do you wanna get in on this?”. I just stared at him for a minute and he raised his eyebrow at me.

It felt like this entire situation finally hit me and I was pulled back into this universe in that moment. “No, that’s ok. I have… work.” He just shrugged and went back to what he was doing.

I walked out of the kitchen as quickly as possible, walked into my office, and practically fell into my swivel chair.

Did the last three minutes actually just happen? First off, the entire phrase, “Do you wanna get in on this?” ? It sounded like someone who was collecting money in an office for group lottery tickets or something.

Second…. Well, duh. My boss just invited me to have a threesome with him and some chick named Stacy on his kitchen table. That in itself was proabaly the most uncomfortably strange thing that has ever happened to me. Even if you add up all the akward stuff in my life that’s happened, I don’t think it will equal. That was just… woah.

This is so grounds for a lawsuit and the biggest tabloid story of the year.

I need to talk to Sara.
Chapter 20 Part II by ashley marie
I tried to post this earlier, but my computer was being dumb and kept freezing and wouldnt let me post. so here it is now. thanks loves!!!

-------------------------------------------


Part II

“So, what are you NOT going to do?” Sara coached as I sat on her sofa. “File a lawsuit.” I replied, nodding my head. “What ARE you going to do?” She asked, grabbing her yogurt from the coffee table. “Tell him if he ever puts me in that situation again, I will sue him for 25 million dollars and sell the story to every major news publication, therefore making his life a living hell until the day he dies.” I rattled off. Sara golf clapped and smiled. “That’s hot.” she replied, then giving me the thumbs up.

“I still can’t believe he said, ‘Do you wanna get in on this?’. That is so fucking corny I can’t stand it. I wonder if that’s how he really picks up girls.” she giggled, pretending to gag. I wouldn’t be surprised. Girls seem to just seem to fall into his lap no matter what he does. Oh well.

“Are you REALLY gonna tell him?” she finally asked. “I don’t know.” I admitted, playing with the tassels on the pink pillow. I’ve been wondering if I actually should or not. Yeah, on the one hand, I want to tell him, I guess mostly to embarrass him as much as he embarrassed me ( I know it sounds like a fifth grade thing. Sometimes it’s rewarding.) But on the other hand, I don’t want to go through it again. It’s bad enough that he did it, but at least he won’t remember. Imagine how much worse I’m going to feel telling him about it when he’s sober.

Well, he SHOULD be sober by tomorrow.

“Yeah.” I finally said, putting the pillow down. “I can tell him. I shouldn’t be the one feeling embarrased. He should, right?” I asked. She nodded, setting the empty yogurt carton down. “Definitely, he’s an asshole. It’s not your fault he can’t hold liquor well.”

**Next Day** DATE!!!!

I drove to Nick’s house, hoping maybe he was still drunk somewhere, or even drunk in the somewhere (which, judging from his intoxication level yesterday, was still very possible) , so I didn’t have to talk to him. But when I walked in my office, he was sitting on my swivel chair, staring right at me.

“Hey Nick.” I said as casual as possible, walking in and putting my purse down on the sofa. “Hey Lauri.” he said with a smile, pushing a paper plate with two Toaster Strudel’s closer to the edge of the desk. “So you do remember yesterday.” I said with a small smile, looking down at the plate. Maybe this wouldn’t be as hard as I thought.

“Yeah, vague bits and pieces. I don’t remember much. And I have the fucking worst hangover of my life.” he replied, trying to give me a playful smile but I knew it was hurting him more than life itself. “Why the hell did you guys get so drunk last night?” I asked, sitting on the sofa.

He looked baffled and shrugged. “I don’t know, we just… did. We’re idiots.” he finally said. “Whatever happened to Stephany? I remember she was here yesterday, and now she’s gone.” “Stacy?” I asked. “Same thing.” he replied, waving his hand in the air. I giggled. I guess he’s not COMPLETELY different when he’s drunk.

“Wait..” he said, the wheels in his head slowly turning. “How did you know her name?” he asked. Well, here it goes.

“Remember the… Strudel incident?” I asked. He nodded slowly, waiting for me to continue. “Do you remember anything after that?” I asked. “Anything at all.” He shook his head. “I remember eating the thingy and you were yelling at me…a s usual,” he smiled. “Then I can’t see anything, it’s like… blacked out or something, then the next thing I remember is…. Oh my God.” He trailed off, his eyes widening in horror as he looked up to face me. I just nodded. “I remember having sex with her in the kitchen.” he finally said. “Were you there?” he asked, looking like he was still trying to put the last bits of the puzzle together.

“Well, in the beginning. It kind of happened pretty quickly. But um… you did kind of ask me if I……. Wanted to ‘get in on it’.” I finally blurted out.

I really didn’t think pop stars blush out of embarrassment, but hits one does. “Are you serious?” he asked, looking ready to pass out. I nodded and tried to offer him a smile. “You‘re not gonna sue me, are you?” he finally blurted out. I just laughed at him. “Not THIS time, Carter.” I replied. “What happens next time?” he asked with a smirk. “I get to sue you for 25 million dollars and sell the story to every major and legitimate news publication, therefore making the rest of your life a living hell.” I replied with a grin. “That’s deep.” he replied. “Yeah, Sara made it up. I added the legitimate part right now, though.” I pointed out. “It sounded very professional.” he said with a wink. “Forget it happened?” he asked, extending his hand. I took his in mine. “I probably will bring it up from time to time to embarrass you.” I replied. “Fair enough.” he shrugged.

“Hey, where’d you get these?” I asked him, taking one of the pasties from the paper plate. “Little fridge in the pantry. You can never not have those things. There addictive.” he said. “I can tell you like them. I didn’t even finish pouring my juice and you practically ate both. And they had to be scorching hot.” I replied. “Yeah they were. I’m just beginning to feel the burn on the roof of my mouth.” “That’s gonna add so much fun to your hang over.” “I know it. Speaking of which, I think I’m gonna go down about 12 of Tylenol PM and see if I can sleep this thing off. It might stop my head from exploding off of my shoulders.” He said, attempting to stand up.

“You OK there, tiger?” I asked, fearing he would fall over and then I’d be responsible to drag his ass up to bed.

“Yeah, I think I can manage.” he replied, slowly shuffling towards the door.

He reached and opened the door, before looking back at me. “I apologize again for yesterday, Lauri. I’m really embarrassed.” I just smiled softly and nodded at him, and as soon as he closed the door I breathed out a “you better be”.
Chapter 21 by ashley marie
AN - Ok, ok, I know I win the award for the world’s worst author. I suck at keeping my update date promises. I’m sorry. I just always get side tracked when it comes time to write. And this time when i tried to work, my computer like... Had an official freak out. I wont make any more promises when it comes time for new updates. (Maybe it’s a mental thing and if I don’t say it will be updated soon, it will be. That’s my theory, lol.) But anyways, yeah, I do apologize for not updating as around the time I say I do. But I’m giving you three chapters, so can we call a truce? (hides from flaming pitchforks) JK lol. Anyways, here is the (of course) long awaited chapter!!!

I’m going to stop blabbering now and post.


Chapter 20

Monday December 17


The two weeks leading up to Christmas flew by, like usual, and I was still just as confused about what to get Nick as … well, basically as the day I met him. And it didn’t help the previous week I could barely get him to say ’hi’ to me. He was really hung up on the whole drunken incident. (Which, by the way wasn’t a totally bad thing. Star, and a few other tabloids did a story on him with pictures and eye-witness reports from the club about how he was back to his ‘playboy’ ways. I was brushed off as either a fling or a momentary lapse in judgment.) After finally calling him a loser and telling him to stop being such a bitch did he finally begin to speak to me again.

Go figure.

I began to blow on my freshly painted nails and wave them in the air. After we were all finished work, Kendall, Sara, Petra (who is back from ANOTHER excursion, and is about to depart on her Christmas one, thank you very much) and I were going to do some Christmas shopping. Yes, yes, I’m one of those late shoppers. It’s just gets me into the Christmas spirit when I have to fight with someone over the last 75% off Isacc Mizrahi striped blazer from Target. Everyone has there guilty pleasure.

I’m usually a really nice girl but I WILL throw down at Christmas time.

I began to contemplate how to paint the nails on my right hand as Nick walked into my office, holding a plate with two Toaster Struddel’s.

Yeah, that’s kind of our ‘thing’ now. He comes in every day with one for me and one for him. It’s kinda cute.

I took one off of the plate and began to eat it as he sat down across from me.

“I’m so BORED.” he whined, and for a minute, I thought he was actually going to start crying.

“I’m… sorry.” I offered. He just continued to pout, so I began to blow on my left hand for a final time. Now for the hard part. I opened the nail polish bottle and lifted the brush with my left hand.

I can do this. I am a strong and independent woman that is capable of anything. .I survived 18 years with my mother and 4 years supporting myself in college. I certainly can do…..

Oh fuck, I dropped some on the table.

I rolled my eyes and grabbed some tissues off of the desk to try to mop the maroon polish up.

“Need some help?” Nick asked, peering at my little mess. “Do you know how?” I asked, throwing the napkin away. “Apparently more so than you.” he replied with a shrug. “Witty, witty, witty.” I mocked, motioning for him to bring his chair around the desk. He perked up, I guess glad to finally have something to do, and dragged the chair behind him.

“So, what’s the occasion?” he asked, shaking the bottle then opening it. “I’m going Christmas shopping with some of my friends.” I replied, watching him glide the brush over my nails. He was deep in concentration (this probably being the task that required him to use the most brain cells today) and his tongue was sticking out slightly. He looked…. Well, to be completely honest, adorable.

“Oh, I thought you were going on a date or something.” he replied, continuing to polish my nails. “Yes, because nail polish is the sole signifier of a hot date.” I replied. “Don’t tease me.” he replied with a smile. After a moment of silence, I spoke.

“What do you want for Christmas?” I asked. He had no where to go, and damn it, he’s answering this question right now. I hate guessing.

“Lauri, I don’t care.” he sighed, finishing up my hand. “Honestly.” And with that, he closed the cap of the bottle and put it on the table.

“You have to want SOMETHING for Christmas.” I replied, exhausted. I hate this time of year. I hate worrying about having to please everybody, even after they tell you that you don’t have to worry. It just makes me worry more.

It’s all so confusing.

“Whatever, Carter. Thanks for the nails.” I said, waving my hand gently in the air.

“It’s no problem.” He replied, sitting down across from me again, grabbing a strudel. “I fired my trainer.” He mentioned, beginning to eat. I chuckled. “Why?” I asked, pulling up the eluxury.com website I’ve been looking at earlier.

“Because he was fucking mean. It’s not like I’m going to war. It’s just a tour.”

“They rhyme. Maybe he got them mixed up.” I offered, shrugging and clicking on the Chanel link. I’ve been looking at this bag for about two weeks now. It was absolutely gorgeous. It was huge, black and had the prominent white double C’s to the side. I saw it in one of the gossip magazine’s and I think it was Paris Hilton or Nicole Ritchie was carrying it around. It was hands down the most gorgeous bag I’ve ever seen. If it was legal, I would find one and marry it.

O.K., I don’t like it that much, but you catch my drift.

But it was $3,300 dollars, so, yeah, that‘s not happening. Who would actually spend that much money for a bag, even IF you had the money? You could feed a small third world community for a year with that much money.

But a girl can dream, right?

“Are you even paying attention to me?” Nick asked, waving his hands in the air. I looked up at him, said no, and diverted my attention back to the screen.

“What are you looking at that is more interesting than me, anyway?” he asked, forcing himself off of the chair and placed himself behind me. “Just the most beautiful and insanely priced bag in the entire world.” I said. He scrunched his nose and shrugged. “I guess. I don’t get you girls. All those bags look the same.” he replied, still standing behind me, scrutinizing the bag.

“Not this bag. It is absolutely the most gorgeous bag I’ve ever set my eyes upon.”

God, I sound like I’m in some twisted soap opera.

“If you say so.” he shrugged, going back to his chair.

“If you had a vagina, you’d understand.” That didn’t quite come out right.

This, of course, cause him to burst out into a fit of laughter.

I rolled my eyes and pushed my chair back from the table. “Alright, you stay here and continue to….. Be yourself, I’m going to get something to drink.” I stated.

It was going to be a long day.


*** After work ***

“Oh my gosh, does he know Orlando Bloom?” Kendall asked over a Mango Mania smoothie. I shook my head and continued to sip my Razzel Dazzel Raspberry. “I don’t think so. He doesn’t really hang out with famous people to much. Usually with his loser friends from New Jersey. The only person that I’ve seen him hang out with his Tommy Lee, he came over the house once. He was really nice.” I said. “I love Tommy Lee.” Petra basically whispered. “He’s cuter in real life.” I directed at her. “I watch that show he’s on all the time. I love his CD. He’s like, the perfect guy.” She swooned. “He’s also too old for you.” I replied. She smiled and shrugged. “Age isn’t anything but a number.”

“I wonder what he is gonna get you for Christmas.” Sara said, swirling her Green Tea with a straw. “He’s such a show off, so it’s probably going to be something insane. If you hate it, can we sell it on eBay?” she asked excitedly. “Of course.” I replied. “I need money for clothes for this damn tour.” “Aww, poor baby is getting paid to gallivant all over the country. Tear.” Kendall joked.

I shrugged. “I guess if it was with someone I could stand being in a room with for more than an hour I wouldn’t mind. But, I can just see us getting really annoyed with each other. And it sucks because we’re riding in the same bus, I think.”

“I thought he didn’t bug you as much anymore.” Sara said. I sighed. “I mean, yeah, I talk to him at work and we laugh and have fun and whatever, but that’s it. I still see him as an annoying spoiled brat. And at least at work he’s around me an hour tops before he moves on or goes out. I can just see being stuck with him for hours on end on a moving vehicle while he whines about being bored. One of us might just not survive.” I noted.

“You should hide a camera in there and sell it. You can call it like, ‘Nick Carter Uncensored’ and have DVD chapters like, ‘Nick Walks From One Room To Another’ and ‘Nick Watches T.V.’ There will be some crazy people that will buy that shit up.” Sara decided. “Oh, and as bonus extras, you can have super rare footage, like, ‘Nick Reads A Book’.” Petra clapped.

“You are mean, mean people.” I laughed, taking a last sip of smoothie. We all just continued to laugh.

*** Later that Night ***

I walked down the darkend parking lot with Sara, both of us trying keep a firm grasp on all the bags we had. “I hate Christmas.” She mumbled as we reached our cars and a Rampage bag fell out of her hands. “That’s because it’s an over-commercialized disgrace.” I laughed, helping her open her trunk. She basically threw her bags into the car and then opened my trunk for me. I shoved all my bags in a best as possible, moving them around so not to squish anything. I closed my trunk and Sara was waiting with her arms open for a hug.

“Alright, missy, I’m leaving tomorrow for the folks’ place. You have a great Christmas.” I hugged her and told her to do the same. “Try not to get pregnant.” she said mid-hug. I just started to laugh. “You are a mean lady.” I replied when we broke apart. “Hey, I saw the way you loving picked out clothes for him. ‘Hmm, which would I rather tear off his body before I tap that ass.’” she mocked. “You are such a bitch.” I laughed, giving her one last hug.

“I know what I‘m talking about, Lauri Nicole Fostern. I’m usually right about these things.” she replied, unlocking her car door. She slid in to the drivers seat and looked up at me.

“Remember Danny Ecklow?” She said, starting the ignition. “Ewww, from college? He was such a mistake. A hairy mistake!” Sara laughed and checked to see if it was alright to back up. “Yeah, but I called it.” she said with a smirk. “Have a nice Christmas!!” she yelled, pulling out of the spot and driving away.

I stood there, leaning against my car, and cringed. Danny Ecklow. Blahh. Such a stupid stupid freshman decision. Shaking my head, I pulled my keys out of my purse and opened my door. I threw my purse into the basket thing between the two seats, and looked at the card it landed next to. The card Nick had made me at Thanksgiving.

“Sleep with this?” I asked my self. “If I want to commit stagatory rape.” I snorted, letting it fall back to the floor.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I know the eluxury website doesn’t have a Chanel link, but I’ve been looking for this freaking bag forever and I can’t find it. I got frustrated and made up a home for it. LOL. And yes, I did check the actual Chanel website, but to no avail. This bag came out a few years ago, so it’s not even on there website. And I had no clue on the price, so I guesstimated. This will all make sense farther down this chapter.
Chapter 22 Part I by ashley marie
The original chapter was going to be MUCH longer than this, but i had to cut in into two parts because i REALLY need to finish my summer reading work. The rest should be up tonight. Nothing to much hsppening in this chapter. I might go back and make some changes later, because when i read it, it feels a little rushed. I'll post part two before i do that, though. Part two will def. be up tonight, but i have to do my summer reading work first. ((i totally cancelled a sleep over to work on it, and havent started yet, lol))

ok, enjoy part one!!

_________________________________________________________

Chapter 22

December 24th

Part one.

1:00 p.m.

“You do know that you’re only staying three days, and that we aren’t planning to scale Mount Everest during that time frame, right?” Nick asked as he dropped my two overstuffed duffle bags on the floor.

I just snorted at him. “I like to be prepared.” I said, daintily dropping myself on the bed and sticking my tongue out at him. “Yeah, well, if Christmas decides to run an extra two weeks, you’re set.” “You’re just mad you’re too weak to carry a girl’s stuff.” I said, giving him the ‘you-know-I’m-right look’. It was his turn to scoff, fumble with his words, and then give an eloquent ‘Shut up.’

“Alright, Carter, so, what do we do now to entertain ourselves for the next few days?” I asked, grabbing my purse and hoping off of the bed. “I was thinking we could start by getting a Christmas tree.” He shrugged, following me as I began to walk out of the room. I surveyed the living room as I walked down the steps and noticed that there indeed was no tree. “Well, that would be a good start. Alright, let’s get this holiday thingy started.” I said with as much enthusiasm as possible. I don’t wanna be the bummer for the holiday. “Don’t get too excited now.” He joked, grabbing his car keys. Damn, he’s on to me. Oh well.

I followed him outside in the bright Florida afternoon. Honestly, if I hadn’t looked at the calendar, or had holiday commercials penetrating the privacy of my living room TV for the past month, I would never know it was Christmas Eve. The one thing I can honestly say I can miss about Manie are white Christmases.

“BMW or Hummer?” he asked, squinting and twirling his key ring around his index finger. “Yeah I’d like to see you tie a Christmas tree to the top of your convertible.” I replied, rolling my eyes and walking towards the Hummer. He just shrugged and hit the door unlock button. I opened the door and tried my best to elegantly get into the car.

That wasn’t happening.

Nick was sitting in the driver’s seat in a matter of seconds, while I was trying to grasp onto something that was anchored down for leverage. “Having some trouble there?” he asked, trying his hardest to hold in a laugh. “I think you might have been wrong when you said we wouldn’t be scaling Everst.” I replied, finally getting myself halfway into the car. I pulled myself in the rest of the way, took a deep breath, and then looked over to him. “If you laugh at me, I will have to kill you.” I said simply, glaring at him. He put his hands up in defense, but I can see he wanted to laugh.

“Why is this car so damn big, anyway?” I asked as he began to pull out of his driveway. He finally let out a laugh. “Your just mad you’re to weak to get into a man’s car.” He countered.

“Touché, Carter. Touché. That was actually a good one.” I giggled. “I know.” He smirked.

“So, you can really get like, Christmas trees here?” I asked, staring out the window, trying to figure out how and evergreen would last a minute. “Of course. You’ve been here for a few years, you should know that.” I just shook my head. “I lived in a dorm for four years. The closet thing I had to a Christmas tree was one of those 12 inch dealies that you put on your dresser.” I reminded. “Oh, that sucks. I actually haven’t bought one in a while, since I usually stay with Brian, but you can get them, you just have to know where to go. I have a friend that sells them.” He replied. “So, you’re like, the insider of the Florida underground Christmas tree ring? How did I get so lucky?” I joked.

“Don’t get smart, I might have to blindfold you so you don’t know where we’re going.” He laughed.

We drove for a good twenty minutes more, having random conversation, until we finally reached the tree place. For it being Christmas Eve, there were still a helluva lot of trees there. “Wait, don’t get out of the car yet.” Nick said as I opened the car door and looked at the far drop. Getting down was going to be a bitch.

I watched his hop from his seat (bastard) and walk to my side of the side of the car. He positioned himself right in front of my door with his arms outstretched, then motioned that he got me. He grabbed me by the waist and hoisted me right onto the ground. “You’re such a gentleman.” I laughed as he shut the door for me. “Well, I couldn’t have you break your ankle on Christmas Eve.” He replied as we walked over to the trees. “Nicky!” I heard someone call from.... somewhere. I looked around, and saw a guy walk from behind the trees. Nick and the mystery guy proceeded to do the awkward man hug-pat-shake thing, and I just stood there clueless. “Lauri, this is my friend Joey. Joey, this is Lauri.” “Hi,” he said, extending his hand. “Nick’s told me a lot about you.” He said with a smirk. Oh my God he reminded me of Brent. “I’m sure they were all good things.” I replied sarcastically. He just smiled. “Most of them were.” He replied simply.

Alrighty then.

“Yeah, so let’s just look around.” Nick finally said, pulling me towards the displays. “I want a big, fat one. A huge one.” I said, walking up and down the lanes. “How about this one?” Nick asked, pointing to one. “It’s to tall and skinny.” I said, scrunching my nose. I hoped up and down the tree lined isles until I stopped dead in my tracks.

“Nick!!!!!!!!!” I screamed at the top of my lungs.

There was a lound rustling and then Nick quite literally jumped through a tree, out of breath. “What’s wrong, are you ok??” he asked, panting.

“This is the most fucking adorable tree I’ve ever seen in my life.” I said, looking over at him. He rolled his eyes and stomped his foot. “Lauri, I thought you were hurt or something.” He whined. “How would I get hurt in a Christmas tree place?” I waved my hand in the air. “Never mind. Can we please please please get this one!?” I asked, literally begging.

It was perfect. It was a super short tree. It was literally my height, so about 5’4’ or 5’5’’, and so freaking fat. It was adorable.

“Sure, I don’t care. It’s kinda small, isn’t it?” he asked.

“No! It’s perfect.” I said, giving it a hug.

Oh my God, I’m hugging a tree.

“Alright, alright, let go of the tree before the cops show up. Yo, Joey!” He yelled. Within a few minutes, Joey walked over towards us. “Can you like, do the thing and get this hooked up to the car or something?” Nick asked.

“Nick, this is a great tree. I know a lot about trees. This ones a good one.” Joey said with a wink.

Alright I guess everyone’s got their own fetish.

“OK, man, just get the tree down.” Nick said, giving Joey a strange look.

I walked over to the car, and got myself into the seat a little easier than the first time. Nick was doing his best to help his friend, but I could tell he had absolutely no clue what he was doing. Finally Joey told Nick to go away because ‘he handled a tree like a women’.

“Does he have some kind of fetish?” I asked when Nick got into the car. He just laughed and shook his head. “It’s not what you think.” He simply said, and I just shrugged.

Boys are too weird.

After a few minutes, Joey took the money from Nick, and said, “You got yourself a hot tree there.” Nick told Joey he would call him in a few days, and to have a good Christmas before driving off.

“Did he just call the tree hot?” I asked incredulously.

Nick just laughed again. Maybe he does have a fetish.

I just shrugged again. Whatever floats your boat.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=6351